True Heart by mandancie
Summary: Starting a new adventure, Harry learns there's more to life than what he's seen.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Out of Character, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 100574 Read: 60572 Published: 12 Jul 2020 Updated: 07 Mar 2024
Chapter 4: Halloween by mandancie

Harry felt over the moon. Oliver took Harry out to the Quidditch pitch and familiarized the small boy of the different balls used, and what he wanted Harry to keep his attention on. Harry held the small golden ball in his hand. The snitch felt warm. Closing his hand into a fist, he could feel a small magical surge that had him smiling.

The two of them stayed on the pitch for an hour before Oliver told him when the first practice would be. Harry walked back to the school. It was time for lunch. He was going to be the new Seeker on the Gryffindor team. He never was in a school team before. Usually, no one would pick him to play with.

“Harry!” Ron exclaimed.

Harry was pulled out of his musing by his best mate.

“This is awesome,” Ron said, lightly patting Harry on his shoulder. “First-years aren’t ever on the House team.”

“Yeah,” Harry said, smiling. “Professor McGonagall told me.”

The two first-years continued their trek to the Great Hall for lunch, speculating excitedly of what gameplay would be like. Again, the two boys were interrupted by two older boys sitting on the other side of each boy.

“So, I heard the news.”

“Little firstie going to be on the team.”

Harry looked up and saw two identical boys sitting on the other sides of Harry and Ron.

“Fred and George,” Ron said, pointing at his brother. “They’re my older brothers. They’re on the team; Beaters.”

“Absolutely,” George said. The one sitting next to Harry. “We keep the bludgers…”

“…from knocking you off your broom,” Fred finished.

Knocking me off my broom, Harry thought. That doesn’t sound fun. Harry didn’t want to let on that the idea of falling off his broom during the game worried him. They might say he couldn’t be on the team anymore.

“Don’t worry, Harry,” Ron said, unaware of Harry’s internal struggle. “Fred and George are aces at what they do. They won’t let you get hurt.”

“Never,” the twins said together.

The twins got up and went to further down the table to where their friends were. Harry watched them leave. He saw Professor Snape sitting at the Head table. It had been two days since his time in the Professor’s office. Harry’s cheeks warmed when he remembered everything that happened. Yes, Professor Snape spanked him, but it was what happened after that made Harry see the dour man a little differently. Harry hoped after that day Professor Snape wouldn’t be so angry with him all the time. The Professor was the first person who waited until he calmed down before talking with him about what Harry did wrong. He even healed him. The Dursleys never did that. As a matter of fact, most of the time Harry didn’t know what he did to cause the beating. When he rubbed his head and neck, it felt relaxing. When he went to bed that night, Harry wished deep down that he could feel those soft rubs again.

A warm feeling filled Harry’s stomach. He knew what he wanted to do after lunch. He was determined it would happen.

___000___000___000

Unbelievable. Of all the hairbrained, most idiotic ideas that could hatch out of those two old geezers, they put that boy on the Gryffindor house team. Severus wanted to physically hurl his former Transfiguration Professor out of his chambers.

The brat broke the rules and instead of punishing the miscreant like he should have been- what do they do? - they reward him for his deeds. And to twist the knife in further, that hairball feline came to him and bragged about it.

Severus took a deep breath, held it, and very slowly released it. At least when the brat came down for his punishment that he gave the boy, Potter was contrite. He even went so far as to apologize for breaking the rules. Though that caught Severus a little off guard, he accepted the apology and sent him on his way.

Hopefully, it would be the last time he would have to deal with Potter again. Who was he kidding? This was Potter he was talking about. There is absolutely no way that brat could stay out of trouble.

Sunday morning, Severus decided he was going to stay in his chambers and relax. He locked his door to his office, his chambers and warded the floo. The Potions Master did not want to be disturbed.

When he woke up, Severus took a long shower. Knowing he didn’t have to teach that day and he had no detentions scheduled, he could stay and let the hot water ease his tensed, tight muscles.

After that invigorating shower and dressing in some comfortable slacks and shirt, Severus went to his lab and worked on some experimental potions he’d been trying to perfect for a few years. He was in his lab for longer than he anticipated. He was just starting to feel the hunger pains, which made him realizing that he didn’t eat breakfast after showering.

Since it was close to lunchtime, Severus decided to take another shower and head up to the Great Hall. Severus didn’t want to push his luck. If he missed two meals in a row, the old coot and the feline would invade his chambers wondering what he was doing.

The beginning of the lunch was actually pleasant. Minerva was sitting next to him. She didn’t bring up anything about Potter and him being on the team. He almost smiled, but he remembered his reputation and he didn’t want to give Albus the satisfaction that he was mellowing out.

All that changed. Severus was almost finished with his food when he saw the Potter boy and his redheaded sidekick coming into the Hall. He could see the excitement in the brat’s eyes. After that, Severus could feel Minerva looking at him.

The same feeling Severus felt on Friday was back full force. It seemed like that boy got away with everything.

“Severus,” Minerva whispered. “Why are you upset, now? You act like he wasn’t punished for his misdeeds.”

“You and that old coot are teaching that boy he can get away with anything,” Severus seethed.

“What did you want me to do?” Minerva asked. “You act like he wasn’t already punished.”

Severus looked over at Minerva.

“I know you had Harry in your office for detention because of the flying incident,” Minerva said smiling. “Why do you want him punished twice?”

Minerva had him there. She was right though he loathed to admit it. What did he expect her to do when he’d already punished the boy?

Severus sighed and left the Great Hall, heading to his office so that he could look over the lesson plans for the upcoming week. He spent enough time thinking about Potter. Yes, the boy is on the team, but Minerva had a point, and he wasn’t going to harp on it again.

Or so he thought.

___000___000___000

Harry saw Professor Snape leave. He now had his chance to put his plan into action.

“Hey, Ron,” Harry said, climbing out from the table. “I’ll meet you in the Common Room. I need to do something.”

Ron nodded since he was currently eating a treacle tart. Harry ran out of the Great Hall.

When he turned the last corner, Harry slowed down. He took a second to try and catch his breath. Even breathing heavily, Harry couldn’t take the smile off his face. He didn’t know why he wanted to tell the Professor. He guessed since he was the only adult that ever cared if he hurt himself or calmed him down, Harry could trust Professor Snape. Maybe he could truly confide in the man. He remembered when he came after his spanking the Professor didn’t sound angry. He calmly told Harry what he was to write and went on about his own tasks.

Harry knocked on the heavy wooden door. Harry heard the muffled “Enter.” The child slowly opened the door and stepped into the office.

Professor Snape was sitting behind his desk writing something on a piece of parchment. When the man lifted his head, Harry’s confidence wilted a little, but he still wanted to complete what he came down to the Professor’s office.

“And to what do I owe the presence of Mr. Potter this afternoon?” Severus said. “Shouldn’t you be causing some sort of trouble with your friends?”

“I wanted to come see you,” Harry said smiling.

Severus raised an eyebrow. No one voluntarily came to Severus Snape’s office.

“You see me,” Severus said. “What do you want? I’m busy.”

Harry walked closer to Severus’ desk. “I won’t take too much time. I just wanted to tell you what happened.”

Severus could see that the boy was literally vibrating in front of him.

“I’m on pins and needles to hear what happened,” Severus said dryly.

“I’m going to be the Gryffindor Seeker,” Harry said smiling.

Harry was so excited and proud that he had an adult that could be there for him. Someone who sat with him until he calmed down.

“And what gave you the impression that I wanted to know that?” Severus said.

Harry’s face dropped. His smile, the ecstatic feeling he just had wilted like a dead flower. His jaw slacked as he looked at the Potions Professor. Harry thought his teacher would be proud of him. He thought he had someone to come to.

A cold feeling crawled up his spine and down to his stomach. Was he such a freak and a burden that no one cared about him?

Harry tried to keep the tears that threatened to surface at bay.  

“If you want to fly around risking your life for a stupid game, who am I to stop you?” Severus continued. “Now, if there is nothing else, I have a lot of work to complete.”

“But I thought…” Harry whispered, trying to keep his voice even. He didn’t want his teacher to see him cry.

“Whatever you thought,” Severus said. “Is not my problem. Good day, Potter.”

Harry didn’t know what to say. This was not how he expected this meeting to go. He thought Professor Snape would be proud of him that he would be on a team.

Harry quietly turned and walked out of the Professor’s office, closing the door, quietly. As he slowly walked down the corridor, the tears he was hiding came full force. Nothing had changed. He was still alone. Why would he think that someone would be nice to him?

Harry went into the nearest bathroom and hid in one of the stalls. He didn’t want to come out until he completely calmed down. Harry didn’t want anyone to know that he was crying like a baby.

He was so happy to get put on the team. And yes, he had Ron who was excited with him. But after what happened with Professor Snape, Harry thought things changed from how the first week in Potions went.

Harry walked out of the stall. His glasses in his hand. He went to the sink and tried to hide his tears by splashing water on his face. When he lifted his head and looked at his reflection in the mirror, the voice of Uncle Vernon rang in his ears. The tears started again.

“You’re nothing but a burden. A freak. Nobody will ever like you. You’re just a stupid freak. Nobody likes you. Nobody likes you. Nobody likes you.”

Harry said that over and over as he slid down the wall and wrapped his arms around his knees and cried.

___000___000___000

When Severus saw his office door close, he threw his quill down on his desk.

How dare that boy? Severus fumed. He has the audacity to come to my office and brag that he’s on the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

Severus couldn’t stay seated. There was too much pent-up energy and he needed to walk around.

That boy was just like his father. Arrogant. Potter throws his punishment in his face.

Look what I got. Your punishment meant nothing.

Severus’ anger was palpable. He wasn’t going to calm down in his office or chambers. He needed to walk outside and feel the breeze on his face. Something to cool his temper.

After putting his cloak on, Severus walked out of his office. He was walking down the corridor. It was unusually quiet. Even with his office and classroom were in the dungeon, it still had a few students that would use the darkened corridor as a hideaway. The only sound was the clicking of the heels of his boot. When he got to the end of the corridor, he heard some mumbling coming from the restroom. Thinking it was one of his Slytherins fooling around, he opened the door.

“You’re nothing but a burden. A freak. Nobody will ever like you. You’re just a stupid freak. Nobody likes you. Nobody likes you. Nobody likes you.”

Severus’ anger immediately vanished. He saw the boy curled against the far wall. He knew it was Potter. What was puzzling was the words.

This is Potter. He was to be just like his father. Arrogant. Believed he was better than everyone else. Tormentor. Arse. The boy sitting on the floor was none of those things.

Quietly, Severus closed the door to the restroom. There was a lot weighing on his mind now. He turned and walked slowly back to his chambers, the boys disparaging words ringing in his ears.

___000___000___000

It had been two weeks since Harry tried to tell Snape that he was on the Gryffindor team. Severus and Harry didn’t know what to do with what they thought of the other.

Harry had mixed feelings about the Professor. The day of the first Flying class, Harry felt calmness and caring from the Professor. But when he went to tell him his exciting news, the Professor was angry. Harry tried to stay clear of the Potions Professor, but each time he tried, something would draw him towards Snape. Harry found himself looking for the Professor. When he was in potions class, Harry had to catch himself from staring at the Professor. He wanted to ask the man what he did wrong and was there a way he could fix it. Harry just couldn’t muster up the courage to seek the man out. Harry was afraid that he wouldn’t like the answer.

Severus was sitting behind his desk. There were stacks of rolled parchments and small crates of student phials. All needed to be graded. He knew he needed to work on it, but he couldn’t take his mind off the small messy-haired boy with the lightning scar.

Ever since he found the boy in the restroom, crying, the words that he heard were troubling him. Severus started pondering if his preconceived notions of the boy could be wrong. He noticed the boy staring at him. He looked like he wanted to tell the Potions Master something but decided against it at the last second.

___000___000___000

“So, Harry, are you excited?” Ron asked as the two of them were walking from the Greenhouse back towards the school.

Herbology class just let out and it was lunch time. Ron tried over and over to get Harry out of whatever he was going through. Yeah, he would engage with him and Hermione when they did homework together or he and Ron would play a game of Exploding Snaps, but often, Ron would see Harry staring off into space. He figured something was bothering Harry, but Harry wouldn’t talk.

“Excited about what?” Harry asked. “What’s going on?”

“Halloween is this Friday,” Ron said. He had a huge smile on his face.

Harry couldn’t help smiling at the amount of glee that was coming off his best mate. As they walked into the school, Ron told Harry everything that happens in the Great Hall on Halloween.

“How do you know?” Harry asked.

“Fred and George told me,” Ron said.

Harry was excited. He wanted to see it. Pumpkins floating from the ceiling. The tables full of different puddings and candy. It was the best Harry had felt since he was accepted on the House team.

The two boys met up with Hermione when they got to the Great Hall for lunch. When they sat down, Hermione started to talk about what they were supposed to do in their other classes. While Ron tried to get the girl to relax, since most of the work wasn’t due until the following week.

Harry wasn’t paying attention to either of them. He was used to the two of them bickering back and forth. When Harry filled his plate, which was still not a lot of food, he looked at the Head table. Like all the other times, Harry would search out Professor Snape. He didn’t know why he had to see the man. The Professor obviously didn’t like him.

“So, Harry,” Hermione asked, bringing Harry out of his musing.

“Yeah.”

“Can we work together in Potions tomorrow?” Hermione asked.

Ron and Harry had a surprised look on their faces.

“Harry and I work together,” Ron said quickly. “Get your own partner.”

“I need to talk to him,” Hermione started, “and the only time I can do that is in Potions class.”

Harry felt, he didn’t know, honored and excited that his two friends were fighting on who would work with him. Well, not physically fighting, but arguing very loudly.

“So, Harry, will you?” Hermione asked again.

Harry started to feel the rise of nervousness in his belly. He didn’t want to hurt either one of them. So, he had to figure out how to make them happy.

“What about this,” Harry began, “I work with Ron during Potions. I would love to work with you Hermione, but I don’t want to get into any more trouble with Professor Snape. He might find a way to get me to miss the first game.”

Hermione nodded at that assessment.

“And during study break after Potions, we can work together then. We can speak without having to worry about really disturbing anyone.”

Hermione thought about that for a second and agreed. After thinking on some more, she noticed the tension between Harry and the Professor lately, and understood Harry not wanting to chance getting in trouble.

___000___000___000

Halloween.

Everyone was excited about the feast they were going to have at dinner. First-year Gryffindors and Slytherins had Potions as their last class before study period. Things were still tense with Harry and Professor Snape. Harry continued to steal glances at the Professor. Severus found himself doing the same thing.

“Gather your ingredients,” Severus said “You are to work alone. Get started.”

Everyone got their ingredients from the potion stores and got to work on their potion assignment.

While Severus would walk up each aisle, he would look at the boy. Sometimes he would catch the boy looking at him. In those times when they did look at each other, guilt would swarm in Severus’ gut because of what happened that particular day.

When Severus saw that there was a plume of smoke coming from one of the cauldrons, he quickly waved his wand ridding the room of the foul smell as well as the ruined potion. Potter, Weasley, Thomas and Longbottom were trying to salvage what Neville did. Severus walked over.

“What happened?” Severus growled. “This was a relatively easy potion to brew. What have you done? How did you manage to ruin it? Is it too taxing for you to pay attention?”

“But we—,” Ron said quickly.

“I don’t want to hear excuses, Mr. Weasley,” Severus said coolly, cutting Ron off. “If you would keep your mind on your work instead of the feast none of this would happen. Mr. Thomas and Mr. Longbottom, would you like to tell me what happened to your potions?”

Looking at each boy, Severus noticed that Potter was the only one not looking him in the eye, but he was cradling something in his hand.

Holding out his hand, “Give it here, Potter.”

Harry looked at the Professor and then back to his hand.

“Sometime today would be nice.”

Harry looked down at his hand and back up at the Professor. Slowly, he extended his hand and put the object in Snape’s hand.

Severus looked down at the object and barked to the class, “Get out! Everyone.” With a wave of his hand, everyone’s potions vanished from the cauldrons with a small sample placed in a phial with the child’s name, finding its way onto Snape’s desk.

The class didn’t have to be told twice. Everyone packed their things and ran out of class. It had to be the first time in history Professor Snape let his class leave twenty minutes early. When the last child left, Severus closed the door. Slowly walking to his desk, he looked down at the small piece of parchment. Two words were written on it: I’m sorry.  

His preconceived notions of Harry Potter were changing more and more every day.

___000___000___000

Everyone was murmuring about what the fact Snape let them out of class early. The students went their separate ways. Some went to the Great Hall. Some outside. And a few to the Library.

Harry and Hermione went to the Library. Ron, Dean, Neville, and Seamus decided to go to the Common Room to play Gobstones until dinner. Hermione didn’t even try to convince them they should work on their homework. She wanted to talk to Harry alone.

Harry and Hermione were sitting in a secluded area so they wouldn’t be disturbed.

“So,” Harry said, pulling out a roll of parchment so he could start on his Charms essay. “What did you want to talk about?”

“Give me a second,” Hermione said, getting up and walking to a bookshelf at the far end of the aisle.

When she came back, she put the book on the table.

“You told me before that you didn’t know much about your parents,” Hermione said.

Harry nodded, not knowing where she was going with this.

“I found this book last week,” Hermione said, flipping through the pages. “I wanted to show it to you. Maybe this could give you some ideas about your parents.”

Harry couldn’t help the smile on his face. The simple fact of learning anything about his parents was more than welcome. When Hermione found the part, she slid the book towards Harry. He moved everything so he could read it.

There was a picture of them at the top of the page. Harry just stared at it. He never had seen a picture of them. To see it now made his heart soar. He couldn’t keep the smile off his face.

“Thank you so much, Hermione,” Harry said, trying to keep his voice steady. “This means a lot.”

“You’re welcome,” Hermione said, packing her bag.

“Where are you going?” Harry asked, look up at her.

“I need to talk to Professor McGonagall,” Hermione said. “I’ll probably be a while, so I’ll see you at dinner.”

Hermione walked away from the table.

“Okay.”

Harry looked back at the picture. He slowly traced his finger over his mother’s face. Everyone told him that he looked like his father. Looking at the picture, he could see why. He did look like his dad.

Wow, this is really them.

Harry read the article under the picture. Once he got to the end, the smile on his face disappeared. Looking back at the picture, tears streamed down his cheeks.

“October 31, 1981, James and Lily Potter gave their lives to save the world.”

Today was October 31st. His parents died ten years ago on this day. Harry closed the book.

___000___000___000

Everybody was in the Great Hall. As described, there were decorations everywhere. Floating pumpkins. Paper bats charmed to fly around. The usual candles that floated, but the flames varied from orange, yellow, and red. Each of the House tables were filled to the brim with treats. All the Houses were having fun, laughing and talking. The teachers were sitting at the Head table.

Severus was overjoyed that the next day was Saturday, meaning he didn’t have to be bothered by hyper-active dunderheads. He looked out at the tables and noticed something. It was as if something was missing. Before Severus could put his finger on what was missing, Quirrell barged into the Hall screaming “TROLL!”

“TROLL in the dungeon,” Quirrell said and fainted on the floor.

All the children started panicking and rushing out of the Hall.

“Silence!” Albus commanded. Total silence. “I want you all to carefully go to your Common Rooms. Slytherin, I want you to go with Ravenclaw. I don’t want anyone roaming the halls. Now go. Quickly.”

All the students followed their respective prefect.

Severus watched as the children started to file out of the Hall. Albus and Severus looked at each other. Severus rushed out the back entrance of the Hall.

___000___000___000

When Harry finally left the Library, he knew it was way past time for dinner. He just didn’t feel like eating. After all these years of begging Aunt Petunia for any type of information about his mum and dad. He was denied every time. Harry had learned so much since he’d been in the Wizarding world.

Seeing their picture was amazing. All his life he wanted to know what his parents looked like. When he was younger, he would daydream about having a mum, hugging him when he was sad. Giving him a kiss on the forehead after tucking him in at night. Roughhousing with his dad. Having conversations with them. He never felt that.

But this year, seeing their picture, knowing the day they died, it seemed harder to handle. Harry didn’t think he could walk around the corridors anymore. He didn’t want to go to dinner, and he didn’t want to go to the Common room. Harry climbed on the windowsill and looked out to the sky.

Maybe, just maybe, mum and dad are looking down on me. Hopefully, I’m making them proud. Harry thought as tears streamed down his cheeks.

An owl flew past the window, bringing Harry’s attention back to his surroundings. Seeing the owl, Harry figured he could go up and see Hedwig. Harry climbed down and headed towards the stairs.

The smell hit him first. His hand went straight to his nose. He looked over the railing to see if he could find where it was coming from. Not seeing anything, Harry ran down the stairs so that he could get to the second floor. It was the floor that connected each set of stairs that would take him to the Common room.

When he got to the second floor, Harry ran as fast as he could toward the other end.

Argh! Grrr!

“What is that?” Harry asked.

“A troll, young one,” the Victorian dressed man in the portrait. “You shouldn’t be here.”

Harry slid to a stop. The shadow on the wall showed a tall monster walking towards the end of the corridor. The smell was ten times worse. Harry almost gagged at the smell. Looking around, Harry knew he was trapped. He needed to get to that end of the corridor to get away, but the monster was right there.

“You need to hide, young one,” the portrait urged.

Harry frantically looked around trying to find someplace to hide. There were several rooms along the corridor. Harry tried them. They were all locked.

When the troll heard the rustling and turned towards the noise.

Argh! Argh!

The troll came down the corridor where he saw something it could eat.

Harry saw the thing coming towards him. He desperately tried each door. None of them would open. Harry’s heart was beating tattoos in his chest. He was breathing hard.

“Help! Please somebody help!” Harry cried, tugging on a door.

The troll towered over Harry. It swung its huge club. Harry fell to the floor. The club barely missed him. Harry looked over his shoulder and saw that the troll was about to swing again. As fast as he could, Harry picked himself up. He tried to run but his foot stepped on the end of his cloak, causing him to fall back down, slamming his knee and mouth on the stone floor. His glasses fell from his face cracking the lenses.

Harry turned back and saw the troll’s club coming back down. Harry knew that he couldn’t move in time. I’m going to die. Maybe, I’ll see mum and dad, Harry thought as the club came down. Harry wrapped his arms over his head.

“Protego! Relashio! Reducto! Sectumsempra!”

The troll’s club slipped out of the troll hand at the same time exploding into tiny pieces. The troll fell backwards shaking the floor. Its chest ripped open in several places.

When Harry didn’t feel the pain he thought was coming, he lowered his arms. The troll wasn’t standing over him. Harry reached for his glasses.

“Potter.”

Harry looked towards the voice. Harry successfully stood up and rushed towards the Professor.

___000___000___000

Severus rushed out of the Great Hall when he learned of the troll. He didn’t trust it. He knew the others would look for the troll; he headed for the third floor. As he was going up the stairs, a couple of the portraits alerted him that there was a student in danger. When he reached the second floor, he heard the cries for help. Severus sent out his Patronus to Albus and Minerva.

When he found the troll, his heart dropped into his stomach. The troll swung its club at Potter and Severus worked on instinct, casting spell after spell. Within seconds, the troll was dead on the floor.

Severus watched as Potter stood on shaky legs.

“Potter.”

The boy looked up and saw his savior. More tears streamed down his dirty cheeks. Harry rushed to the Professor and wrapped his arms around his waist. Severus was shocked Potter was hugging him, but he couldn’t stop his arms wrapping around the boy’s shoulders. The last thing he ever thought he’d see was a student about to be killed by a troll.

“You’re safe, Harry,” Severus murmured.

TBC

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3599