True Heart by mandancie
Summary: Starting a new adventure, Harry learns there's more to life than what he's seen.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore, McGonagall, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Out of Character, Physical Punishment Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 28 Completed: No Word count: 100574 Read: 60551 Published: 12 Jul 2020 Updated: 07 Mar 2024
Story Notes:
This story is Alternate Universe. The characters will probably be OOC. There will be spanking within this story. It is not the focal point of this story. There won’t be a spanking scene in every chapter. But it will have it. 

1. Chapter 1: First Day of a New Adventure by mandancie

2. Chapter 2: Not The Greatest of Days by mandancie

3. Chapter 3: Flying Class by mandancie

4. Chapter 4: Halloween by mandancie

5. Chapter 5: The Next Morning by mandancie

6. Chapter 6: Quidditch by mandancie

7. Chapter 7: Tempers by mandancie

8. Chapter 8: Things Change by mandancie

9. Chapter 9: Relics and Runes by mandancie

10. Chapter 10: Change in the Tide by mandancie

11. Chapter 11: Stubborn Wrenches by mandancie

12. Chapter 12 Paydirt by mandancie

13. Chapter 13: Detention with Evil by mandancie

14. Chapter 14: Coming to Terms by mandancie

15. Chapter 15: Punishment in the First Degree by mandancie

16. Chapter 16: Haunting Past by mandancie

17. Chapter 17: Getting Ready for Christmas by mandancie

18. Chapter 18: The Holidays Are Here by mandancie

19. Chapter 19: Strained Meetings by mandancie

20. Chapter 20: Not As Planned by mandancie

21. Chapter 21: Let's Have Christmas! by mandancie

22. Chapter 22: One Step Forward by mandancie

23. Chapter 23: Two Steps Back by mandancie

24. Chapter 24: A Conspiracy Unmasked by mandancie

25. Chapter 25: Oh, So Cold! by mandancie

26. Chapter 26: A Change is Coming by mandancie

27. Chapter 27: A Venomous Past by mandancie

28. Chapter 28: Making Things Right by mandancie

Chapter 1: First Day of a New Adventure by mandancie
Author's Notes:
Severus and Harry are in this chapter, but they won't interact until chapter two. (the reason I waited posting)

This world was so new. At first, Harry believed that he was dreaming. When he heard the first bang on the door, he thought, this couldn’t be real. But it was. And now he was starting a wonderful new adventure. A special place where he wasn’t picked on, bullied, or a freak. When people saw him, they knew his name. It was unsettling that more people knew about him than he did, but Harry didn’t let that keep him down.

Walking through the wall was scary. Seeing the red-headed family, the Weasleys, go through it and not crash was just a long line of things that Harry stacked away as amazing. The mother Weasley coached him on how to go. Harry held his breath when he ran through.

Now, he was sitting on the hugest train he had ever seen. Harry found a compartment and sat down. The scenery was like a postcard he glanced at on one of his grocery trips. He would imagine he was living in the free open plains with no worries. But then reality would hit and he was back into the dreary life of servitude.

Harry was so mesmerized by the scenery he didn’t hear someone knocking on the door.

“Hey, do you mind if I sit here? Everywhere else is full.”

Harry turned and saw one of the red-headed boys he met at the entrance.

“Yeah, sure,” Harry said, holding his hand out so that he could sit across from him.

“Thanks,” Ron said. “I’m Ron Weasley.”

“Harry Potter.”

“Wow,” Ron said. “Cool.”

After their introduction, they started talking about everything. Well, Ron talked, and Harry listened. Ron told him about everything he knew. Harry was like a sponge. Harry liked Ron. Ron didn’t make him feel as if he was something special. Outside of asking about the scar, Ron didn’t act as if Harry was some celebrity.

They talked and talked and talked. Ron told him everything his older brother said about what to expect when they got there.

“And he said the ceiling changes with the sky,” Ron said.

“Really?” Harry said. “I can’t wait to see that.”

Their conversation was stopped when a girl came into the compartment and told them that they were getting close to the castle, and to start changing into their robes. Both boys shrugged and got ready.

___000___000___000

Severus was finishing up on his final check of his supplies and ingredients when his floo flared.

“Severus.”

Severus sighed and stepped out of his cupboard. Hearing that voice, Severus knew all she wanted to do was tease him.

“What can I do for you, Minerva?” Severus said, walking out of his lab.

Minerva was standing by the fireplace. She had a smirk on her face.

“Are you ready to see the smiling little angels?” Minerva amused.

Severus sneered. He knew she was trying to bait him, but she would not goad him into a battle of wills about that blasted boy coming this year.

“Aren’t you supposed to be upstairs to welcome the miscreants?” Severus walked over to his chair and pulled his robe off, putting it on.

“I thought you would like to escort the children down this time,” Minerva said, trying not to smile.

“Listen, you old cat,” Severus said.

“Now, now, Severus,” Minerva said. “No need to get your blood pressure up. You’re already loving the fact of a certain boy gracing these walls.”

“Get out,” Severus growled.

Minerva couldn’t hold back any longer. She held her head back and laughed.

“Oh, Severus,” Minerva said, walking towards his door. “You make it so easy.”

Minerva left before Severus could give a retort. He hated that Minerva was having fun with this. The last thing he wanted was to see that doppelganger miniature Potter walking down that aisle. Severus looked over at his small bar longingly. How much he would love to have a drink, but he knew he couldn’t, at least not before dinner. He would have several once the feast ended.

___000___000___000

Harry and Ron were in awe as they walked up the stairs. The boat ride was amazing, seeing the castle in all its glory. All the first years in the boats had the same expression of wonder.

The children walked up the stairs. At the top of the stairs was a woman dressed in green.

“Welcome,” Minerva said.

All the small chatter stopped to listen.

“It is a pleasure to see you. Once it is time, we will walk through these doors. You will follow me to the front of the Hall where you will be sorted. There are four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, and Ravenclaw. Your house will be your family for the next seven years. If you follow the rules, you and your house will be awarded points. If you break the rules, your house will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points will win the House Cup. Wait here.”

Minerva returned and escorted the children to the front of the Hall. Harry looked around. This had to be the biggest room he’s seen. Remembering what Ron said his brothers told him, he looked up. It was just like they said.

“Wow,” Harry whispered.

The children stopped at the end of the aisle.

“I will call your name,” Minerva said. “And you will come up here to be sorted. Justine Abbot.”

A timid red-headed girl walked up to the lone stool. Minerva lowered the old brown hat on her head.

“Ravenclaw,” screamed the Hat.

“Hannah Bones.”

A blonde-headed girl walked up to the stool with more confidence. She knew what to expect. Sitting down, holding her head high. Minerva put the hat on her head.

“Hufflepuff.”

The names continued as each child was placed in their new houses. Severus scanned the children standing waiting. He wanted and didn’t want to see mini Potter. For some reason he couldn’t find him.

“Harry Potter.”

There was small chattering at each table. When Harry’s name was called, the entire Hall went completely silent. Harry pushed his way to the stool. He was a little nervous. He wondered why everyone was so quiet. Harry looked at all the Professors that were seated at the tables behind the stool. Everyone had a bewildered look on their face. Harry’s eyes stopped at the one in black. He didn’t look like the others. Harry couldn’t place the man’s expression.

Harry sat down. Once the Hat was on his head, it began to talk.

“Well, Mr. Potter,” the Hat said. “It’s been a long time waiting to have you under my brim. Now, let’s look at this mind of yours. Hmm. That can’t be right.”

Harry started getting scared. Something was wrong. Maybe this was all a dream. He would have to go back to his relatives. He didn’t want to leave this wonderful place. He had a friend. It was so magical.

“Calm yourself, child,” the Hat soothed. “You are not going back. But you will find help here. You have an ally here. Someone who will fight for you.”

“Who?” Harry said, softly.

“It will all come out in due time,” the Hat said. “Gryffindor!”

The Hat was removed. Harry got up and walked over to the Gryffindor table. The names kept going. After three more children, Ron was called and placed with Gryffindor. Ron sat next to Harry.

“What did the hat say to you?” Ron asked. His voice was low so no one around them could hear.

“A few things,” Harry whispered back. “Why?”

“It was on your head a long time,” Ron said.

After a while, the sorting ended. The Headmaster got up and made a few announcements.

“Good evening, students,” Albus said. “Welcome back to Hogwarts. A few things for our first years. The Forbidden Forest is out of bounds. The Third floor on the right side is restricted. I want you all to have a wonderful year. The Feast. Begin.”

Albus waved his hands and all the tables were filled to the brim with food. There was different food from different countries. There was a huge variety.

Harry looked at the food and didn’t know where to start. He’d never seen this much food. Harry bit his lip as he reached out and took a small chicken leg and put it on his plate. He looked around to see if anyone was watching or if someone was going to take it away from him. Everyone around him wasn’t even paying attention to him. He reached out again and got a spoonful of mashed potatoes and put it next to the chicken.

Harry didn’t want to risk his luck, so he ate what was in front of him. He looked over at Ron and couldn’t believe what he had on his plate. What Ron had made the plate look too small.

“Are you going to eat all that?” Harry asked.

“Oi,” a boy on the other side of Harry spoke up. “Don’t worry about him. Ron can eat that and another plate and not get full.”

“Hey,” Ron said, with his mouth full. “Shut it, Percy.”

“Stop talking with your mouth full,” Percy admonished. “Harry doesn’t want to get sprayed with your food.”

When Ron swallowed what he had in his mouth, he leaned over closer to Harry.

“Don’t listen to him,” Ron said. “Percy just thinks he’s important because he’s Prefect this year.”

“Yes, I am Prefect,” Percy said. “And you better listen to me.”

Ron rolled his eyes and went back to eating. Harry smiled at the two brothers going at each other. It was nice to be talked to and not yelled at and belittled. Harry looked up at the Head table again and saw the man in all black looking at him.

“Hey, Percy,” Harry said, leaning closer to the older boy. “Who is that? The man in black.”

“That’s Professor Snape,” Percy said. “The meanest teacher in the school. Don’t get on his bad side.”

Harry had to suppress a shudder. The man looked mean.

“What’s he teach?” Harry asked, taking a bite of his food.

“Potions,” Percy said.

“Is he really that mean?” Harry asked.

“You’ll have Potions this week,” Percy said. “You’ll see.”

Harry looked back at Professor Snape and saw that he was talking to the Professor with the turban on his head. Harry finished most of what he had on his plate. He looked up at Professor Snape again. He looked mean. His brow looked like it always frowned. His eyes were harsh looking. Harry could imagine that he demanded what he wanted. Living with the Dursleys, Harry learned to read people’s expressions.

The flash of food brought Harry’s attention to the table in front of him. All of the main course was gone and there was a variety of puddings on the table.

“Wow,” Harry gasped.

Harry thought it was a lot of food for dinner. That didn’t compare to the different varieties of pudding on the table. This time Harry picked a small amount of a few different ones. He wanted to see which one he liked.

When dinner was finished and all the food was taken away, Percy and another girl, Sarah, escorted the students to Gryffindor tower. The first years were given the password and once inside, they were given a small tour of the tower and where the dormitories were.

Harry was happy that he would be in the same room with Ron. The other three boys in the room didn’t attempt to talk to Harry and Ron. Not that they were worried about it.

All the boys got ready for bed. After giving each other the customary good night, all five boys were asleep.

___000___000___000

Severus was sitting in his armchair, staring at the flames. A small tumbler of Firewhiskey was sitting on the small side table, abandoned. Severus didn’t know how to take what he witnessed today. So much was going through his mind. He watched, the same as everyone, that small child walk up to the stool.

No wonder Severus didn’t see the child when they walked in. Harry was a head shorter than most of the children. Skinny. If Severus didn’t know any better, he’d believe that his early assumptions were wildly misguided. Severus was expecting a pompous, arrogant tyrant. Someone that would assert his dominance on everyone around him. What Severus saw was a small timid, scared child. This bothered him.

Severus expected either Minerva or Albus to show up and want to talk about Potter. His assumption was right when he heard a knock on his door followed secondly by the flames turning green.

Great, both at the same time, Severus thought, rolling his eyes.

Severus waved his hand to admit Minerva the same time Albus stepped through the flames. 

“Good evening, Severus,” Albus said.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Severus sulked.

“Now, come on, Severus,” Minerva said.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” Severus said, looking up at Minerva.

“It seems startling how Harry looked compared to the other students,” Minerva continued.

“I wonder why the Hat took so long with Harry?” Albus said.

Severus glared at Minerva and Albus. “What part of ‘I don’t want to talk about it’ didn’t you two senile old fogies get?”

“Severus,” Minerva admonished. “Don’t you dare take that tone with me.”

“Now, Minerva,” Albus said, his eyes twinkling. “Don’t take it so harshly. We did come down here to tease him.”

“That tone and language is fine for you,” Minerva huffed. “But I will not stand for it.”

“Then, you are welcome to leave my chambers,” Severus said. “We all have a long day tomorrow and I don’t want to be up all night listening to you two laughing at me.”

Minerva harrumphed and turned leaving the way she came. Before closing the door, she turned and looked at Severus, “Don’t think this is the end of this.”

“I can hardly wait,” Severus shot back.

Minerva slammed the door. Albus was enjoying the banter between his two Professors. Minerva and Severus kept things alive within these walls.

“Good night, Severus,” Albus said, walking to the fireplace. “I’ll see you at breakfast.”

Severus rolled his eyes. He knew that wasn’t just a statement. Severus didn’t like going to the Great Hall in the morning. He wanted to eat his breakfast in the seclusion and privacy of his office. His Prefects would pass out the students’ schedules. Severus just wanted that last ounce of peace before the dunderheads showed up.

“Night, Albus,” Severus said, as the flames turned green and he was once again alone in his chambers.

Severus reached for the tumbler of amber liquid and swallowed all in one gulp. He let the burn calm his nerves. Severus got up and headed for bed. Tomorrow was going to be an interesting day.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 2: Not The Greatest of Days by mandancie
Author's Notes:
Severus and Harry interact in this chapter.

Harry couldn’t believe his luck. He laid on his bed looking around the room. His bed was so soft. The duvet was extra fluffy. When he got into bed the night before, Harry felt like he was laying on a cloud. He never felt so comfortable in all his life.

Harry woke up and he saw that it was still dark outside. One of the drawbacks of living with the Dursleys. He had to get up early and make breakfast. If he was lucky, he could make himself a quick sandwich that he could eat before Aunt Petunia came downstairs. It was the only time Harry was guaranteed something to eat when he was home. Sometimes it didn’t work out that way. On the days when Aunt Petunia would wake him up, he couldn’t sneak any food. But he learned how to fill his stomach so that he wasn’t hungry.

Harry heard a tap on the window, bringing the child out of his memories. Hedwig was standing on the sill. Harry hopped out of bed and opened the window. Hedwig flew in and landed on the bed. Harry climbed back in and started talking to Hedwig.

“Oh, girl,” Harry said smiling. “Can you believe this? I’ve never been so comfortable in all my life.”

Hedwig tilted her head to the side.

“Feel how soft this is,” Harry said, rubbing his hand over the top of the duvet. “It’s the softest thing I’ve ever felt. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon’s covers don’t feel this soft.”

Hedwig hooted, tilted her head on the side.

“And guess what?” Harry asked. There was so much enthusiasm in his tone. “I have a friend. A real friend.”

Hedwig hooted again. She flew the short distance and landed on Harry’s leg. Harry started petting her feathers. Hedwig lightly nipped Harry’s fingers. Harry could feel the affection of his owl.

Harry yawned and slowly laid back down. Hedwig moved to the headboard and kept a vigil over her familiar. For the first time in ten years, Harry slept in.

___000___000___000

Harry woke up to someone shaking him.

“Come on, Harry,” Ron said. “We have to get ready.”

Harry stretched. “Morning, Ron.” Harry got out of bed and rushed to do his morning ablutions. A few moments later the two first year Gryffindors rushed down the stairs.

“You ready for breakfast?” Ron asked as they left Gryffindor tower.

“Yeah, sure,” Harry said, shrugging his shoulders.

The two boys walked into the Great Hall and took their seats towards the front of the Hall. There was food already on the tables, so the students could fill their plates once they sat down.

Harry and Ron sat across from a wavy-haired girl with her nose in a book. Ron didn’t give her a second glance, but Harry looked at her.

“Hey,” Harry said.

The girl looked up from her book in surprise. She wasn’t sure if someone was actually talking to her.

Looking at the boy across from her, she said, “Did you say something?”

“I was just saying, hi,” Harry replied with a smile.

“Hi,” the girl stuttered.

“I’m Harry. What’s your name?”

“I’m Hermione,” the girl said.

“This is Ron,” Harry said, pointing to the boy next to him.

Ron looked up and nodded but didn’t stop eating. Harry shook his head. Hermione smiled at them. Harry started putting a small portion of eggs on his plate.

“What are you reading?” Harry asked.

“It’s our Transfiguration book,” Hermione said. “I want to be prepared when we start this class.”

Harry nodded and started eating.

___000___000___000

Severus woke up with a groan passing his lips. He ruggedly got up. Even though he only had one glass of Firewhiskey last night, the headache he was sporting begged to differ from that fact. It wasn’t a sharp pain, more of a nagging one. Severus had been plagued with these headaches for a little over ten years. The pain reliever potion wouldn’t help. The only thing that would ebb this pain was standing under hot water.

After taking his shower and getting dressed, Severus grudgingly left his chambers and headed upstairs to the Great Hall for breakfast.

Severus sighed in disgust. It was the first day of classes. He liked to spend the last morning before the dunderheads graced his classroom causing havoc. But because of that meddling old fool, Severus had to sacrifice his last peaceful morning eating with the cretins.

Severus walked into the Great Hall and saw that over half of the students were sitting at their House tables eating their breakfast. He walked up to the Head table, sitting down. The first thing he did was pour himself a cup of coffee. It was the only thing that helped his head.

“Good Morning, Severus,” Albus said, once Severus sat down.

Severus didn’t reply until he took his first gulp of coffee.

“Headmaster.”

“How did you sleep?” Albus asked.

Severus turned and glared at Albus.

“It would be a lot better if I were in my chambers,” Severus growled.

“Dear boy, you must stop being a recluse,” Albus tutted. “You spend too much time in the dungeons.”

“I like my alone time,” Severus said.

“Good Morning,” Minerva said, sitting down on the other side of Severus. “How did you sleep, Severus?”

“What is it with you two?” Severus asked. “Why are you so enamored with me? There are plenty of other Professors at this table that you can leave me alone.”

“Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed,” Minerva mumbled low enough but just enough for Severus to hear her.

“Now, listen, you old cat,” Severus said.

 “Severus,” Albus said, putting his hand on Severus’ arm, cutting him off. “There is no need for tempers. It’s a beautiful day. The students are here ready to learn.” Severus rolled his eyes. “These children are our future.”

“Are you finished?” Severus asked. “I would like to eat my breakfast in some semblance of peace.”

Albus nodded, “By all means. You need your strength while teaching the little angels.”

Little angels? Severus thought. How about hellish minions?

Thankfully, Severus was able to eat a few bites in peace when he looked up and saw mini Potter coming down the aisle with the youngest Weasley. Severus watched them until they sat down. He didn’t know why he had to keep his eyes on the black-haired boy. The one thing he didn’t want was to fret over the Potter spawn. Severus forced himself to continue to eat while ever so often he would look up.

Severus noticed that Potter again didn’t put that much food on his plate. There was something puzzling about that.

Severus shook himself out of that train of thought. The last thing ever he would want to do was to worry about that boy.

___000___000___000

After breakfast, all the students got their schedules. Harry and Ron compared their schedules. They had Transfiguration, Charms, Lunch, Defense, Potions, and Study. The schedules were just for the first week. It was an introductory week. Getting to know the Professors. Starting the second week, the schedule that the first years receive would continue until the end of the year.

“Come on,” Harry said. “We need to get our books and head to class.”

Harry stood up along with Hermione. Ron stood still trying to stuff his face.

“Ron, leave it,” Harry said.

Harry started walking out of the Great Hall. Before Harry got halfway down the aisle, he felt a chill slither down his spine. He turned around and didn’t see anyone looking his way. Harry shrugged and walked out the Hall.  

___000___000___000

Harry and Ron were running down the hall.

“I told you to hurry up,” Harry griped as they ran.

“Sorry,” Ron said.

The two Gryffindors raced down two flights of stairs and down the corridor. When they reached the room, everyone was already sitting down, writing.

“Whew,” Ron said. “At least we aren’t late.”

Harry didn’t say anything. He hated being the center of attention. It was never good. He liked to stay in the shadows. You didn’t get hurt in the shadows.

Before the two boys sat down, the cat sitting on the desk jumped and turned into Professor McGonagall. Harry ducked his head. His face turning deep red.

“And where have you two been?” Minerva asked.

“Sorry, Professor,” Harry mumbled.

“We got lost,” Ron said.

“Well, sit down,” Minerva said, turning and walking to the head of the class.

Ron and Harry slid into the empty desk.

Harry couldn’t get his heart to stop pounding. He was so scared. His first day, first class, and he was a failure. Maybe Uncle Vernon was right. Nothing he does will ever be right.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry quickly looked up. Professor McGonagall was standing in front of him. Her stern face looking down at the boy. Harry wished the floor would just open up and swallow him whole. Freak. Freak. Freak. Pay attention.

Harry wanted to bang his fist into his forehead. Harry thought it would be different. Harry’s throat burned with tears. He rapidly blinked his eyes so no traitorous tears would fall. It didn’t do any good to cry. Crying only caused more pain.

“Mr. Potter,” Minerva said again. “Do please pay attention. Open your book.”

Harry slowly reached out and opened his book. Harry kept his head down so not to draw any more attention to himself.

As the day continued, Harry’s classes didn’t get worse. Charms was okay. Harry and Ron were on their way to the Great Hall for lunch. Harry was quiet.

“Harry,” Ron asked. Harry looked at him. “Are you okay?”

Harry nodded. “Yeah.”

Ron put his arm around Harry’s shoulders. “Cheer up. It’s lunch time.”

Harry looked at his friend and couldn’t help smiling at him.

___000___000___000

The morning classes of dunderheads didn’t go too horribly. Severus sat down behind his desk after the last hooligan walked out of his class. He knew he should head up for lunch; he just didn’t want to. Severus called for a house-elf and ordered his food.

He had first-year students after lunch, and he wanted to have a peaceful, secluded lunch before the students arrived. He had Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff first and the dreaded Gryffindor and Slytherin houses last. Teaching the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff shouldn’t be a problem. Severus wasn’t looking forward to teaching the Gryffindor and Slytherin class. The famous Harry Potter is going to grace this class. Severus was not looking forward to that.

A piece of parchment popped on Severus’ desk next to his plate.

Your presence is requested at the Head table.

A.

Severus sneered at the parchment. He pulled out his quill and wrote a reply. He knew his answer was going to cause more problems for him, but Severus was determined to have a peaceful meal. Another note followed and Severus let out a sigh. If the school term continued this trend, Severus was going to enjoy his quiet time.

___000___000___000

After lunch, Harry was determined he wouldn’t let his morning classes mess up his afternoon classes. There were only two classes left. Harry was looking forward to these two classes. Harry thought if he learned some defense moves or something to defend himself against his cousin, he could last through the summer holidays without Dudley and his friends always playing “Harry Hunting.” When Harry got his Potions book, he looked through it first. It was very intriguing to him. Harry always had a desire to see what would happen if some things mixed with others. He used to mix different seasonings on his relatives’ food all the time. Sometimes it worked. Sometimes it didn’t and he went to bed hurting more than usual.

Harry and Ron walked with their dormmates. They were talking as they got to Defense class. Sitting down in the middle of the room, Harry and Ron sat together. Dean and Seamus were together. Neville sat with Hermione. The group of children whispered amongst themselves as they got their supplies ready for class. Once everyone was in the class, the Defense Professor, Professor Quirrell, came out of his office from the front of the room.

Instantly, Harry started to feel sick. He looked over at the other kids and saw that some of them had their hands over their noses. Harry had to endure some of the most disgusting chores while with his relatives, so he knew if he could get through that, he could get through this class.

Quirrell introduced himself, which was a chore because he stuttered. As the class continued, Harry felt more and more nauseous. It was almost the end of class and Harry laid his head on his desk.

“Harry,” Ron whispered. “Are you alright?”

Harry turned and looked at Ron. Ron could tell that Harry was ill. The boy looked almost green.

“M..m..mister P..p..otter,” Quirrell said, walking over to Harry’s table. “Is everything—”

Before Quirrell could finish his question, Harry started whining, gripping his head. Ron leaned closer to Harry to see what was wrong. Harry was in so much pain he couldn’t think straight.

“Take M..mister Potter to the Infirmary,” Quirrell told Ron.

Ron packed up his and Harry’s things and helped Harry out of the room. Once Ron closed the door, Harry stopped whining and gripping his head. There were tears streaming down Harry’s face.

“Come on, Harry,” Ron said.

The two boys walked quietly to the Infirmary. When they walked in, Madam Pomfrey walked up to them.

“What’s happened?” Poppy asked.

“Harry got sick and started making noises in Defense class,” Ron said.

“Hmm,” Poppy mumbled. “Come, Mr. Potter.”

Poppy took Harry’s arm and walked him over to one of the cots, mumbling.

Poppy mumbled to herself; neither of the boys heard her. She looked over at Ron.

“Why don’t you go back to class. I’ll release Mr. Potter when he’s feeling better.”

Ron nodded and walked out of the Infirmary. By the time he got back to Defense class, it ended. Ron met up with the others. All of them asking what happened to Harry. On their way down to the dungeons, Ron told everyone what happened.

Harry was sitting on the end of the cot. Now that he was away from the Defense classroom, he started to feel a little better.

“All right, Mr. Potter,” Poppy said. “I’m going to run a diagnostic charm on you so we can see what’s going on.”

Poppy started waving her wand. Harry didn’t like the sound of that. He didn’t want anyone to know how much of a freak he was.

“I’m alright now, Madam Pomfrey,” Harry said. “I felt better the further away from the Defense class I got.”

Harry got up and started walking towards the door.

“I’m going to be late for my Potions class,” Harry said in a rush. “Thank you.”

Harry left of the Infirmary. Poppy was so shocked by Harry’s reaction, she never seen a child that skittish. She just watched the boy leave. Poppy decided she needed to talk with Minerva and see if she could send Potter back here, so she could give him a full physical.

___000___000___000

Harry ran as fast as he could towards the dungeons. When he got to the Potions classroom, he saw that the door was still open. He smiled, believing that he arrived on time. The smile didn’t last long when he got closer to the door, he could hear the teacher talking.

“…put a stopper in death,” Severus said smoothly.

Looking up Severus saw the new bane of his existence standing at the door.

“Well,” Severus said. “Mr. Potter. I see you let your fame dictate how you are in your classes. You believe you’re above the rules that you can arrive in my class late?”

“No, sir,” Harry said. “I—”

“I don’t want to hear your excuse,” Severus snapped. “You will have detention tonight after dinner. You will learn that you cannot get by on just your fame. You are not important here. Now sit down.”

Harry sat down in the closest desk towards the door. This day had been utterly awful. Nothing went right today. He was late for Transfiguration. He got sick in Defense. And now, he got off on the wrong foot with his Potions Professor, so now he had detention. Sitting alone, Harry couldn’t stop the tears pooling his eyes. He was a freak. He will always be a freak. He thought he could be a normal child here in this school, but it seems like that wasn’t so. Pulling his book and parchment out, he discreetly wiped his eyes and tried to salvage the rest of the class.

Severus continued with his lecture. Every once in a while, he would look back at the Boy Who Lived and saw the boy slump down in the seat.

He must believe that everyone is supposed to cater to the little brat, Severus thought. Well, this boy has another think coming.

During class, Severus walked up and down the aisles to see what each child was doing as he continued his lecture. When he got to the brat’s table, he looked down at the boy. Severus brow raised as he saw there were tear tracks on the boy’s cheeks.

The spoiled brat doesn’t like not having things his way.

“All right,” Severus said. “Tonight, I expect a six-inch essay on the ingredients on the Cure for Boils. You will have how the ingredients are to be processed and I expect as you study you learn what to look for when you brew. We will brew this potion on Friday. Your homework is due on Wednesday. Out.”

Everyone started packing up their supplies. Severus walked to the front of the classrooms.

“Mr. Potter, stay,” Severus said, sitting down behind his desk.

Harry thought he could now put the day behind him, but when he heard he had to stay after, he slouched down in his seat. Ron walked to Harry.

“You want me to take your things to our dorm?” Ron asked.

Harry gave his friend a smile. “Thanks, Ron.”

When the last student walked out of the room, Severus waved his hand, closing the door with a slam. Harry flinched by the noise.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said.

Harry looked up and saw his Professor pointing to the seat in front of his desk. Harry tried to calm his nerves, so he could walk straight and not fall on his weakened knees. The boy took a deep breath, trying to calm his heart that felt like it was pounding out of his chest. He walked over to the seat and sat down. Harry lowered his head.

“My eyes are up here, Potter,” Severus snapped.

Harry looked up at his Professor.

“Now, you will serve detention with me tonight at seven. I expect you here on time.” Severus put emphasis on the time word.

“Yes, sir,” Harry said softly.

“Get out of here,” Severus said. “I expect you to have a decent dinner. Your pickiness over the food needs to stop.”

Harry couldn’t get out of the classroom fast enough. He ran to the closest restroom and went to the first stall. Closing himself in, he sat on the closed seat and tried to calm his breathing. Harry didn’t want to walk into the Great Hall looking nervous. Once he finally got his breathing under control, Harry walked out of the stall. He went to the sink and wet a towel and wiped his face. Once he was calm enough, Harry walked out of the restroom and headed to the Great Hall.

___000___000___000

Dinner was a somber event. Harry sat next to Ron. He couldn’t bring himself to put any food on his plate. Ron tried to coax Harry to eat something, but Harry just didn’t think that he could hold anything down.

“Please, Harry,” Ron pleaded. “Try and eat something. Maybe some mashed potatoes.”

Harry looked at Ron. “Thanks. I just don’t know.”

“My mum told me that sometimes having something soft will help you,” Ron said.

Harry gave his friend a small smile and reached for the potatoes. He took a small bite. If it stayed down, he would continue. It did. Smiling, Harry continued to eat.

___000___000___000

Severus was getting ready to go up to the Great Hall when the floo flared. Sighing, Severus turned to see who was coming, though he had an idea.

“My boy.”

Severus sighed.

“Yes, Headmaster,” Severus said, walking to his armchair, sitting down.

“Is everything alright?” Albus asked, sitting across from Severus.

“Yes, Headmaster,” Severus replied. “I was on my way to the Great Hall.”

“Well,” Albus said, standing. “Let me walk with you.”

Severus rolled his eyes as he stood. The wizards walked out of Severus’ chambers.

___000___000___000

As it got closer to his detention, Harry got apprehensive about being late. He wanted this first day to be over and try to start over tomorrow. He walked into the Potions classroom. Harry didn’t see the Professor, so he walked to the side door and knocked.

“Enter,” A voice commanded on the other side.

Harry opened the door just enough and slid in. He saw Snape sitting behind his desk writing.

“It’s nice to see that you do know how to be on time,” Severus said, looking up at the boy.

“Yes, sir,” Harry said quietly.

“Tonight,” Severus said, standing up. He walked over to Harry. Harry quickly stepped back towards the door. “Move, Potter, I can’t get you started with you in the way,” Severus barked.

“Sorry, sir,” Harry said, moving out of the way.

Severus walked back into the classroom and headed to the sink area. Harry followed.

At the sink were six grimy, goop-caked cauldrons. Severus pulled down some dragon-hide gloves and the cleaning solution, thrusting the items to the child.

“I want these cauldrons to be spotless,” Severus ordered. This will knock Saint Potter down a peg or two. He will not be treated special.

“Yes, sir,” Harry said, walking to the sink.

Severus raised an eyebrow. The instant compliance of the boy didn’t sit right with Severus.

“I expect you to work,” Severus ordered.

“Yes, sir,” Harry said. He put the gloves on. Harry couldn’t help to smile at the way his hands felt in the gloves. It was so smooth. It almost felt like he didn’t have gloves on. The child went to the sink and turned on the hot water. He put all six cauldrons in the sink and poured a little of the solution in each cauldron and grabbed the scrub brush from the back of the sink. He gave the first cauldron a cursory scrub and then filled it with hot water so it could soak. He continued until all six cauldrons were in soak.

Severus thought Harry would have made a fit about scrubbing cauldrons, but it didn’t happen. Harry started without complaint. Severus didn’t like what he was seeing, so he walked back into his office.

Harry continued oblivious that he was being watched by the Potions Professor or that the man left him alone.

Harry went to the first soaked cauldron. He was used to working with hot water, but he had to get his hands used to it. When he put his hand on the side of the cauldron, he realized that the dragon-hide protected him from the heat. Harry looked at the gloves and let out a small giggle. Boy, I wish I had these gloves when I was with my relatives. Knowing that his hands were protected, Harry plunged his hands into the cauldron and started scrubbing.

Severus was sitting behind his desk, looking over the sixth years’ summer essays. He couldn’t stay focused. There were a few things on his mind. The boy in the next room was a major reason. He thought back to how the boy looked when he came into class. During dinner, Severus was sitting beside Minerva, and he heard her talking to Poppy about Harry being escorted to the Infirmary this afternoon.

Severus tossed his quill on his desk and sat back in his chair. Next he thought of the slight fear he saw in Potter’s face when he walked up on him going back to the sink.

“This is nothing,” Severus berated himself.

He cast a tempus charm and saw that it’s been an hour and a half since he left Potter alone. Severus got up and went into the classroom.

Harry was scrubbing the last cauldron. There were five cleaned cauldrons stacked on the side of the sink.

Severus walked up to the sink to inspect the work to see if Potter did subpar work. Standing next to the boy, he was surprised by the quality of work that was put into the cleaning. A high-pitched squeak brought Severus out of his musing. Looking down at the child, Potter was staring up at him with wide eyes.

“Sorry, sir,” Harry said. “I’m almost finished, sir.”

“I can see that, Potter,” Severus said, curtly. “That’s enough.”

“But I’m almost finished with this one,” Harry pleaded. “Let me finish, I can get it done. I promise.”

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said, cutting off the meanderings of the child. “This was a punishment. You did it. Surprisingly, admirably. It is getting close to curfew and I want you in your dormitory before then.”

Harry’s shoulders sagged. He wanted to prove to the Professor that he wasn’t a freak, that he could do what he was supposed to. He was almost finished. He guessed he still wasn’t finishing the day on a better note.

“Potter,” Severus said, sharply. Harry looked up at the man. “Gloves,” holding out his hand.

“Sorry, sir,” Harry said, pulling the gloves off his hands. “Good night, sir.”

Harry walked out of the classroom without waiting for a response.

The boy puzzled Severus. Part of him still wanted to believe that he was a spoiled brat like his father, ready to flounce his celebrity status. But what he was seeing in the boy was something totally different. And he didn’t like it.  

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 3: Flying Class by mandancie

The rest of the week passed much better than Harry’s first day. He didn’t want to get on any of his Professors’ bad sides. His only problem was when he had Defense class. He would leave the classroom either nauseated or with a massive headache. Not wanting to draw attention to himself, Harry sat in the back of class. By the next week, Harry learned to listen just enough to know what they were studying and then read up on the chapter during homework. Sometimes, Hermione would share her notes with him.

Potions: Harry tried to stay as far away from Professor Snape’s ire. He would come into class, keep to himself, and try and do his assignments the best he could. Not that it always worked. His returned work would always have some disparaging remark on it. Talking about his writing, spelling, or if he even opened the book to read it.

Harry sighed as he looked at his newest returned paper.

“Did you even hear what you were supposed to do for homework? Or are you such a spoiled brat that thinks you’re above my classroom rules?”

Harry tried to keep his tears at bay. He didn’t know he copied the board wrong. Could he ever catch a break? He just wanted one place where he wasn’t a freak. But he can’t do anything right.

Severus was ecstatic that this was his last class before the weekend. After grading those horrid papers, Severus felt like he needed some alone time. Maybe take a walk around the grounds. Severus almost smirked at the idea but stopped himself since he still had dunderheads in his class.

After passing out their previous work, Severus had a bit of satisfaction seeing the ones he knew didn’t put in the effort to do the work, get the grade they deserved.

He looked at Potter and saw something he didn’t expect to see. He assumed the arrogant boy would pitch a fit when he saw his grade, thinking he was above everyone else who did the work. Just like his father who would gripe if he didn’t get the grade he wanted even though he didn’t put the effort in.

“Come on, Harry,” Ron said, putting his satchel over his shoulder. “We have a fun class next.”

Harry looked up at Ron. “What class is next?”

“Flying,” Ron said. He had a huge grin on his face.

Harry’s dreary feeling instantly vanished. They would talk at night about flying class.

Harry and Ron rushed out of the room heading to their common room.

___000___000___000

The first years of all the houses were to meet at the Quidditch pitch. All the children were talking and laughing with each other as they walked to the pitch. Harry, Ron, Neville, Dean, and Seamus were standing together.

There were two rows of brooms laid out on the ground. A woman walked onto the pitch.

“Everyone, settle down,” said Madam Hooch. “I want you to step to the left side of your broom.”

All the first years did as they were told.

“Raise your right hand over your broom and say up.”

There was a chorus of “ups” said around the pitch. A few of the students were able to get their broom in their hands after the first time of saying it: Hannah Abbott, Draco Malfoy, Susan Bones, Blaise Zabini, Theodore Nott and Harry Potter.

After everyone had their brooms in their hands, they were told their next steps. Draco, Pansy, Millicent, and Theodore were huddled together, snickering.

“Quiet down,” Hooch admonished, walking up and down. “Now get on your brooms, hover, and come down.”

When Rolanda had her back turned, Draco waved his wand and a few students started to rise in the air.

“Hey!”

“Help!”

“What’s going on?”

Rolanda turned and saw that four students were in the air.

“What do you think you are doing?” Rolanda reprimanded, walking towards the group of kids. “Get back down here.”

“How?” a Ravenclaw student screeched.

“Lean forward,” Rolanda said. “You will lower down to the ground.”

All the students did as they were told, except one. For some reason Neville’s broom wouldn’t do what he wanted. Neville would lean forward but the broom would not lower. Everyone could see that Neville was trying to lower himself. Neville’s chest was so close to the broom handle that he almost slipped off it. The other students were screaming and groaning because they were scared that Neville would fall off. He was so high in the air.

Neville continued to get higher and higher, screaming for help and to be let down. Then his broom zoomed around the pitch. Weaving back and forth through the stands and the goals at the end of the pitch. Neville tried to get a handle on his broom, but it didn’t respond to him.

Harry was so scared for his dormmate and friend. He, like all the others, was cringing when it looked like Neville was going to hit the stands or the Quidditch goal posts. But Harry saw something out of the corner of his eye. Draco had his wand out by his leg waving it inconspicuously. Looking from Draco to Neville, Harry realized that Draco was doing something.

Harry walked over to Draco.

“What are you doing?” Harry demanded.

Draco looked at Harry with disdain.

“What do you care?” Draco said. “Just because you’re the Boy-Who-Lived doesn’t mean you can talk to me like that.”

Harry shoved Draco. Both boys were surprised by that action. Harry couldn’t believe that he actually pushed Draco. Usually, he would be the one being shoved. Draco, stumbling back, looked at Harry.

Screaming and a loud thump caught Draco’s and Harry’s attention. They saw everyone crowding around. Harry rushed over. Madam Hooch stood up, cradling Neville’s arm in her hand.

“Put your brooms on the ground,” Hooch ordered. “I’ll be back. I better not see anyone flying around.”

Everyone did as they were told. They watched as Neville and the Quidditch referee walked toward the castle. The students stepped away. Draco smirked as he walked over to where Neville fell.

“Well,” Draco said, sounding smug. Everyone turned and looked at Draco. “It seems the clumsy disgrace of a wizard dropped something.”

Picking up a clear ball, Draco sat on his broom and kicked off.

“Longbottom already can’t fly, the fat arse,” Draco smirked. “He can’t keep hold of his own things. Let’s see if he can get this off the roof.”

Draco flew around them and headed towards the top of the arch walkway.

Not thinking, Harry got on his broom and took off as well.

“Give it back!” Harry screamed, gripping the broom handle, trying to stay on.

Draco was stable sitting on his broom. He was tossing the ball from one hand to the other.

“What are you going to do, Potter?” Draco teased, pretending to toss the ball towards Harry, causing Harry to almost slip off the broom, trying to grab it.

“Give it here,” Harry said.

“Well, since you want so bad,” Draco said. “Catch.”

Draco pitched the ball as far as he could. Without thinking, Harry took off after it. Harry flew as fast as he could. This was someone else’s property. No one can take someone’s things. He wouldn’t sit by and watch someone else get bullied. He was getting closer and closer.

Harry allowed himself to smile. He reached out and grabbed the glass ball. He turned around. He was a little shocked that he was alone in the air and so far away from the ground. He didn’t see Madam Hooch, so he rushed back to where the others were standing.

Landing, Harry had his broom in one hand and the ball in the other. Hermione and Ron ran over to him.

“That was bloody brilliant, Harry,” Ron praised.

“No, it wasn’t,” Hermione said to Ron and then turned to Harry. “Have you lost your mind? It wasn’t worth it.”

Before Harry could respond there was another’s voice that sounded over the others.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry turned and saw Professor Snape walking towards the class.

“Believing you’re above the rules,” Severus said. “Follow me.”

Severus turned and headed back to the castle. Harry looked at Ron and Hermione and saw the worried look on their faces. Ron reached out and took Harry’s broom. Harry followed the Professor.

Severus couldn’t believe it. He knew that Potter wanted to flaunt his celebrity status, but to blatantly do something Severus knew the boy wasn’t supposed to do was just too much. Severus could hear the boy rushing behind him.

Even though the boy is small, if he’s going to do what he wants then he can suffer the consequences.

When they got to his office, Severus held the door open, waiting for Potter to enter.

Harry walked into the office. He knew he was in trouble. When wasn’t he in trouble when it came to Professor Snape? The walk was stressful. What would Professor Snape do to him? What if he was made to leave? He only wanted to stop that boy from bullying people.

When Harry walked into the office, Harry could feel his heart pounding in his chest, and it wasn’t from the walk, or jog, down to the dungeon. Harry could feel Professor Snape walk past him. He couldn’t help the chill that crawled up his spine feeling the slight breeze from the Professor’s cloak.

“I know you believe that you are above the rules,” Severus said, leaning against his desk.

Harry raised his head so that he was looking at Snape. Harry felt so small standing in front of the man. Snape towered above him.

“I saw Madam Hooch walking Longbottom to the Infirmary,” Severus said. “Were there rules for how you were to act while she was gone?”

Harry, biting his lower lip, lowered his head. He nodded his head.

“My eyes are up here,” Severus barked. Harry’s head shot up with great speed, Severus was worried that the boy hurt his neck. “A verbal answer.”

“Yes, sir,” Harry softly said.

“And what were the rules?”

“Th..that we…”

“Speak up,” Severus growled.

Harry instinctively stepped back a little. He swallowed and tried again.

“That we were to keep out brooms on the ground.”

“And why didn’t you do that?” Severus asked, crossing his arms.

Harry kept silent.

Severus waved his hand. A wooden chair floated over to the Potions Master. Sitting down in the chair afforded Severus to be able to look at Potter at eye-level.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said, looking at the child. “You can answer my questions now, or you can wait until after your punishment.”

Harry’s eyes widened when he heard that. Harry wanted to run. He didn’t want to be beaten. It’s been a while since he was beaten by his uncle. For the few weeks he’s been in Hogwarts, he thought he was free from beatings. But when did anything ever go easy for Harry?

“I will ask you again,” Severus said, folding his arms. “Why didn’t you follow the rules?”

At first, Harry was silent. Hoping that the beating won’t be too bad, Harry spoke about everything. He talked about the enchanted brooms, him noticing what Malfoy was doing, to Longbottom’s fall, to Malfoy again taking the glass ball. Harry stretched out his hand that was still holding the ball.

Severus looked at the Remembrall and back to the panicked green eyes of the boy standing in front of him.

“Step to me,” Severus said.

Harry wanted to run. He turned and looked at the still opened door. His feet didn’t move, but he entertained the thought of wondering how fast he could run. Self-preservation: Harry didn’t want to be beaten.

Before the thought matured, the door swung closed and there was a faint click. Harry turned back to the Professor and saw that he was sitting in the chair now holding his wand in his hand.

“To me, Mr. Potter,” Severus said again. “Don’t make me come get you.”

Harry bit his lip as he slowly took the first step towards his impending doom. When he was close enough, Severus reached out for the boy’s wrist. Severus was shocked at how small and thin the child’s wrist felt.

Severus pulled Harry to stand in front. Harry was surprised at how gentle it was.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said. “You are just like everyone here. You are not above the rules. Rules are there to keep you safe. I hope that this will put a deterrent for you so you will learn to think before you do anything as foolheartedly as fly your broom at top speed towards the castle almost smashing that dunderheaded brain of yours on the wall.”

Harry was surprised at how softly the Professor was talking to him. He felt his mouth go slack. He never had someone speak this softly before a beating. Usually, Uncle Vernon would yell and scream until his face was a deep shade of red, almost purple.

Harry was taking out of his musing when he felt his robe being taken off and then being lifted and laid across the Professor’s lap. Harry waited. He knew the pain was going to come. He learned a long time how to take a beating. He didn’t know if Professor Snape didn’t like someone crying out, so Harry felt it would be best to stay quiet, no matter what happened.

The first smack surprised Harry. He gasped. Not wanting to make another sound, Harry bit his lip.

The smacks rained down. The pain grew, but Harry kept his mouth closed. No matter how much it hurt, he would not make a sound. He couldn’t stop the tears though.

Severus could feel how tensed Harry was on his lap. He was still trying to get past the issue of how light the boy felt. It’s been a few weeks since he heard Minerva and Poppy talk about getting Potter to come to the Infirmary.

Severus sighed as he decided to take the matter in his hands. He would make sure that Harry goes.

After twelve swats, Severus rested his hand on Harry’s back. Severus rubbed the child’s back, trying to get the boy to relax, but Potter remained tensed under his hand. The boy was breathing hard. Severus reached under Potter’s arms and lifted him off his lap.

Harry’s face was wet with tears and mucus. Severus was surprised to see how wet the boy’s face was. Harry raised his arm, so he could wipe his nose; Severus popped the boy’s hand preventing the boy doing so.

“Ill-mannered child,” Severus mumbled, pulling a handkerchief from his pocket.

Harry’s face crumpled up in agony. The crying boy’s mouth was open, but no sound was coming out, bringing both of his arms up to cover his face. When Harry blurrily saw something white coming toward him, the child turned to run out of the room. Harry learned a long time ago, after a beating was finished, if he stayed close by, there would be more pain.

Harry tried to open the door. When it wouldn’t open, the boy went to the corner of the room. He slid down to the floor, bringing his knees to his chest and wrapping his small arms around him. He tried to keep the noise as low as he could, but a few hiccups and small whines came out.

Severus did not understand what just happened. All the times he had to issue physical punishment to a student, none of them acted the same as this boy. He was still sitting in the chair when Potter tried to leave the room. He thought about the pop on Potter’s hand. It was lighter than the swats he administered during the spanking. Harry made more of a reaction to that.

Something else bothered Severus was the lack of noise the boy made. The Potions Master spanked some brats and it was basically a fight. The errant student would slide around or twist their hips so to avoid the swat. He had some that gripped his pant leg so tightly, Severus had bruises. With Potter the only sign that he was getting spank was how tense the boy was.

Severus stood up and walked over to the small boy curled on the floor like a deflated ball. Severus knelt by the boy and put his hand on Harry’s shoulder.

Harry recoiled from the touch, flinching so hard that he banged his head on the wall.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” Harry muttered. “I did…n’t m…ean to ma…ke any n…noise. Please don’t hurt me. I d…on’t want an…an..ymore. I’ll be good. I won’t do it a…gain. I’m sorry.”

Between the boy’s low voice and crying and hyperventilating, Severus didn’t get everything the boy was saying.

“Potter,” Severus said, putting his hand on the boy’s thin shoulder. “Calm down.”

“I’m sorry,” Harry mumbled.  

Severus sighed as he looked down at the distraught child. All he wanted to do was punish the child for breaking the rules and putting himself in danger then send him on his way. Now, it looked like he must calm him down before he let the boy go.

Putting his hand on the child’s head, Severus started rubbing Potter’s scalp hoping to calm the child down. Severus looked around as if someone would see what he was doing. Shaking his head, Severus knew that if Albus or Minerva saw what he was doing he would not live it down.

Harry tensed when he felt a hand on his head, but when he felt the fingers rubbing his head, it actually started to soothe him. Harry wanted to look and see who was trying to calm him down, but he knew if he looked there would be no one there. It was just his imagination.

Severus brought his hand down the boy’s head until he was at Harry’s neck. He could feel that Harry was still tense.

“Calm down, Potter,” Severus said, softly. “Take deep breaths. If you keep this up, you’re going to make yourself sick.”

Severus could feel that Harry was trying to follow his instructions. After a few minutes, Severus’ knees began hurting. Standing up, Severus heard something he didn’t expect. Since he moved his hand, Harry started moaning at the lost of comfort.

“Stand up, Potter,” Severus demanded, though the tone wasn’t harsh.

Harry looked up. Usually Professor Snape looked at him with contempt. He had his hand out for Harry to grab. Harry looked at the hand for a second then slowly reached out for it.

Severus wrapped his hand around the child’s smaller hand. The Potions Professor helped lift Harry off the floor. It still puzzled Severus at how light Potter was.

They walked over to the chair that was still in the middle of the room. Severus sat down with Harry standing in front of him. Severus conjured a warm fluff flannel and slowly wiped the child’s face. Looking at the boy, he saw that there were small specs of blood on his lower lip. Severus sat back and looked at the small boy in front of him. Really looked. Maybe, he was hasty with his assessment of Harry Potter.

“Are you calm now?” Severus asked.

Harry, still hitch in his breath, nodded.

“Verbal, please.”

“Y..yes, sir.”

“Wonderful, now, can you tell me what that was all about?”

“Nothing, sir,” Harry said, trying to take a step back, but realized Professor Snape still had his hand. “Sorry, sir.”

“There is nothing to apologize for,” Severus said. “I want to know about your reaction.”

Harry looked down to the floor, biting his lip. How could he tell the Professor that hated him that it was his uncle that would beat him and hurt him until he got tired? That the reason for his tears was that even if the Professor hated him, he whooped him but didn’t really hurt him? That it was actually comforting feeling the Professor’s hand in his hair and on his neck?

Harry was brought out of his musing when he felt a finger under his chin, lifting his head. Emerald eyes met onyx. He felt a finger gently pulling his lower lip from between his teeth.

“You’ve damaged your lip enough,” Severus said. “I want to fix that up before you leave.”

Never had anyone been this gentle with him after beating him. Again, tears burned his throat. This was a feeling Harry didn’t want to lose. He wanted to wrap his arms around it and never, ever, let go.

Looking at his Potion Professor, he didn’t scare Harry like he did at the beginning of the year. It was a calm tenderness that Harry didn’t know he craved.

Severus saw the child’s eyes almost teared up, so he abandoned his questioning, rather focusing to getting the child’s lip cured so he could send the child on his way.

“Tami,” Severus called out.

A small elf popped next to Harry, startling the child. Severus had to grab Harry’s arm to keep the boy upright.

“Yes, Master Sev’us,” Tami said, tilting her head down.

“Go get my bruise balm.”

Tami vanished and a second later popped back, giving Severus what he asked for.

Harry stared where the elf disappeared from. Shock and wonder were in the boy’s eyes. Harry finally stopped looking at the spot when Snape turned his head back to face the man. Harry made no effort to move while Severus treated the boy’s lip.

Only when Severus finished and was capping the lid did Harry find his voice.

“What was that?” Harry asked, his voice a lot louder than it was a moment ago.

“That was Tami. She’s a house-elf,” Severus said. “Now, Mr. Potter.” Harry gave the Potion Master his complete attention. “I don’t want to see you disobeying a Professor again. Am I understood?”

“Yes, sir,” Harry said meekly.

“And if I catch you doing something else that will compromise your safety or the safety of others, you will get more of what you got today.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I expect you back here tonight,” Severus said, standing up.

“Tonight?” Harry asked. “Why?”

“Did you think that spanking was all the punishment you were going to get?” Severus asked, arching an eyebrow. “Tonight. After dinner.”

Harry took that as a dismissal and left the dungeon.

___000___000___000

Harry’s detention wasn’t as bad as he thought it would be. He only had to do lines.

I will not be a dunderhead by flying full speed towards the castle.

After that detention, things started to get into a regular structure. Harry was becoming more and more comfortable with his living arrangements. No cupboards. No chores. No cooking.

Harry and Ron were sitting in the Great Hall during study time when someone walked up on them.

“Hey, Harry.”

Harry and Ron turned to see a taller, brown-haired boy standing behind them.

“Yeah,” Harry said.

“I wanted to talk to you for a moment. Can you come with me?”

Harry and Ron looked at each other. They both shrugged and Harry got up and followed the older boy out of the Great Hall.

When they got to an unused classroom, the older boy started talking.

“So, Harry, I’m Oliver Wood. I heard about the first-year’s flying class.”

Harry got a little embarrassed. A lot of people were coming up to him talking about that class. Some good comments, some bad. Harry wondered which one this would be.

“I was talking with the rest of the team and they thought it would be a good idea,” Oliver said. “So, I went to Professor McGonagall and ask if it was alright.”

“Huh,” Harry said. “Idea? What idea? What team?”

“Quidditch,” Oliver said, excitedly. “We need a Seeker. Gryffindor hasn’t had a good Seeker since Charlie Weasley graduated. And from what I heard you’re a natural on a broom.”

“Okay,” Harry said, skeptically.

“Do you want to?” Oliver asked.

“Do I want to what?” Harry said, not getting what Oliver was talking about.

“Join the team,” Oliver said, smiling.

“You want me to join the Quidditch team?” Harry was shocked.

Harry walked back to the Great Hall with a huge grin on his face. He was going to be on a team. The house team wanted him. Harry loved this feeling. He remembered all too well when he was in his old school, no one would pick him to play with. It always hurt when he would watch the other kids play and he was made to sit on the sidelines.

___000___000___000

Severus was sitting in his armchair, peacefully reading an article from the recent Potions Journal with a small glass of Firewhiskey sitting on the small table next to him.

Severus took a sip of his drink, letting the slight burn settle down his throat. He sighed. This week was a wonderful week. It has been seven days. A record. There weren’t huge mishaps during his lessons. There were just a few minor mistakes that were easily fixed with his guidance. Longbottom’s practical wasn’t too awful. No one had detention with him. He did his obligation of the nightly checking of the corridors for the week. It was a peaceful night.

The flames turned green and someone walked out of the fireplace.

Severus lowered his head as he closed the journal, laying it on his lap.

It was a peaceful night.

“What do you want, Minerva?” Severus asked, not even looking at the witch.

“I just had to share the news,” Minerva said, cheerily.

Severus rolled his eyes. Great, she’s in a good mood.

“What do you want, Minerva?” Severus asked again.

“I’ve gotten a new Seeker,” Minerva said, sitting down on the sofa next to Severus.

“Wonderful,” Severus said, dryly. “Goodnight, Minerva.”

Severus opened his journal and started reading again.

“I guess you wouldn’t be too happy about my new Seeker,” Minerva said, sitting back on the sofa.

“You’re right,” Severus said. “I wouldn’t, nor do I care. It’s not like it will change the aspect of the outcome.” Severus smirked. He knew saying that would upset the Transfigurations Professor. “Good night, Minerva.”

“Well, I think this time I will have an advantage. As it is in his blood,” Minerva said, nonchalantly. “And I think you will care.”

Severus sighed, “Why?”

“Mr. Potter is my new Seeker,” Minerva said, smugly.

Severus crushed the journal that was in his hands.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 4: Halloween by mandancie

Harry felt over the moon. Oliver took Harry out to the Quidditch pitch and familiarized the small boy of the different balls used, and what he wanted Harry to keep his attention on. Harry held the small golden ball in his hand. The snitch felt warm. Closing his hand into a fist, he could feel a small magical surge that had him smiling.

The two of them stayed on the pitch for an hour before Oliver told him when the first practice would be. Harry walked back to the school. It was time for lunch. He was going to be the new Seeker on the Gryffindor team. He never was in a school team before. Usually, no one would pick him to play with.

“Harry!” Ron exclaimed.

Harry was pulled out of his musing by his best mate.

“This is awesome,” Ron said, lightly patting Harry on his shoulder. “First-years aren’t ever on the House team.”

“Yeah,” Harry said, smiling. “Professor McGonagall told me.”

The two first-years continued their trek to the Great Hall for lunch, speculating excitedly of what gameplay would be like. Again, the two boys were interrupted by two older boys sitting on the other side of each boy.

“So, I heard the news.”

“Little firstie going to be on the team.”

Harry looked up and saw two identical boys sitting on the other sides of Harry and Ron.

“Fred and George,” Ron said, pointing at his brother. “They’re my older brothers. They’re on the team; Beaters.”

“Absolutely,” George said. The one sitting next to Harry. “We keep the bludgers…”

“…from knocking you off your broom,” Fred finished.

Knocking me off my broom, Harry thought. That doesn’t sound fun. Harry didn’t want to let on that the idea of falling off his broom during the game worried him. They might say he couldn’t be on the team anymore.

“Don’t worry, Harry,” Ron said, unaware of Harry’s internal struggle. “Fred and George are aces at what they do. They won’t let you get hurt.”

“Never,” the twins said together.

The twins got up and went to further down the table to where their friends were. Harry watched them leave. He saw Professor Snape sitting at the Head table. It had been two days since his time in the Professor’s office. Harry’s cheeks warmed when he remembered everything that happened. Yes, Professor Snape spanked him, but it was what happened after that made Harry see the dour man a little differently. Harry hoped after that day Professor Snape wouldn’t be so angry with him all the time. The Professor was the first person who waited until he calmed down before talking with him about what Harry did wrong. He even healed him. The Dursleys never did that. As a matter of fact, most of the time Harry didn’t know what he did to cause the beating. When he rubbed his head and neck, it felt relaxing. When he went to bed that night, Harry wished deep down that he could feel those soft rubs again.

A warm feeling filled Harry’s stomach. He knew what he wanted to do after lunch. He was determined it would happen.

___000___000___000

Unbelievable. Of all the hairbrained, most idiotic ideas that could hatch out of those two old geezers, they put that boy on the Gryffindor house team. Severus wanted to physically hurl his former Transfiguration Professor out of his chambers.

The brat broke the rules and instead of punishing the miscreant like he should have been- what do they do? - they reward him for his deeds. And to twist the knife in further, that hairball feline came to him and bragged about it.

Severus took a deep breath, held it, and very slowly released it. At least when the brat came down for his punishment that he gave the boy, Potter was contrite. He even went so far as to apologize for breaking the rules. Though that caught Severus a little off guard, he accepted the apology and sent him on his way.

Hopefully, it would be the last time he would have to deal with Potter again. Who was he kidding? This was Potter he was talking about. There is absolutely no way that brat could stay out of trouble.

Sunday morning, Severus decided he was going to stay in his chambers and relax. He locked his door to his office, his chambers and warded the floo. The Potions Master did not want to be disturbed.

When he woke up, Severus took a long shower. Knowing he didn’t have to teach that day and he had no detentions scheduled, he could stay and let the hot water ease his tensed, tight muscles.

After that invigorating shower and dressing in some comfortable slacks and shirt, Severus went to his lab and worked on some experimental potions he’d been trying to perfect for a few years. He was in his lab for longer than he anticipated. He was just starting to feel the hunger pains, which made him realizing that he didn’t eat breakfast after showering.

Since it was close to lunchtime, Severus decided to take another shower and head up to the Great Hall. Severus didn’t want to push his luck. If he missed two meals in a row, the old coot and the feline would invade his chambers wondering what he was doing.

The beginning of the lunch was actually pleasant. Minerva was sitting next to him. She didn’t bring up anything about Potter and him being on the team. He almost smiled, but he remembered his reputation and he didn’t want to give Albus the satisfaction that he was mellowing out.

All that changed. Severus was almost finished with his food when he saw the Potter boy and his redheaded sidekick coming into the Hall. He could see the excitement in the brat’s eyes. After that, Severus could feel Minerva looking at him.

The same feeling Severus felt on Friday was back full force. It seemed like that boy got away with everything.

“Severus,” Minerva whispered. “Why are you upset, now? You act like he wasn’t punished for his misdeeds.”

“You and that old coot are teaching that boy he can get away with anything,” Severus seethed.

“What did you want me to do?” Minerva asked. “You act like he wasn’t already punished.”

Severus looked over at Minerva.

“I know you had Harry in your office for detention because of the flying incident,” Minerva said smiling. “Why do you want him punished twice?”

Minerva had him there. She was right though he loathed to admit it. What did he expect her to do when he’d already punished the boy?

Severus sighed and left the Great Hall, heading to his office so that he could look over the lesson plans for the upcoming week. He spent enough time thinking about Potter. Yes, the boy is on the team, but Minerva had a point, and he wasn’t going to harp on it again.

Or so he thought.

___000___000___000

Harry saw Professor Snape leave. He now had his chance to put his plan into action.

“Hey, Ron,” Harry said, climbing out from the table. “I’ll meet you in the Common Room. I need to do something.”

Ron nodded since he was currently eating a treacle tart. Harry ran out of the Great Hall.

When he turned the last corner, Harry slowed down. He took a second to try and catch his breath. Even breathing heavily, Harry couldn’t take the smile off his face. He didn’t know why he wanted to tell the Professor. He guessed since he was the only adult that ever cared if he hurt himself or calmed him down, Harry could trust Professor Snape. Maybe he could truly confide in the man. He remembered when he came after his spanking the Professor didn’t sound angry. He calmly told Harry what he was to write and went on about his own tasks.

Harry knocked on the heavy wooden door. Harry heard the muffled “Enter.” The child slowly opened the door and stepped into the office.

Professor Snape was sitting behind his desk writing something on a piece of parchment. When the man lifted his head, Harry’s confidence wilted a little, but he still wanted to complete what he came down to the Professor’s office.

“And to what do I owe the presence of Mr. Potter this afternoon?” Severus said. “Shouldn’t you be causing some sort of trouble with your friends?”

“I wanted to come see you,” Harry said smiling.

Severus raised an eyebrow. No one voluntarily came to Severus Snape’s office.

“You see me,” Severus said. “What do you want? I’m busy.”

Harry walked closer to Severus’ desk. “I won’t take too much time. I just wanted to tell you what happened.”

Severus could see that the boy was literally vibrating in front of him.

“I’m on pins and needles to hear what happened,” Severus said dryly.

“I’m going to be the Gryffindor Seeker,” Harry said smiling.

Harry was so excited and proud that he had an adult that could be there for him. Someone who sat with him until he calmed down.

“And what gave you the impression that I wanted to know that?” Severus said.

Harry’s face dropped. His smile, the ecstatic feeling he just had wilted like a dead flower. His jaw slacked as he looked at the Potions Professor. Harry thought his teacher would be proud of him. He thought he had someone to come to.

A cold feeling crawled up his spine and down to his stomach. Was he such a freak and a burden that no one cared about him?

Harry tried to keep the tears that threatened to surface at bay.  

“If you want to fly around risking your life for a stupid game, who am I to stop you?” Severus continued. “Now, if there is nothing else, I have a lot of work to complete.”

“But I thought…” Harry whispered, trying to keep his voice even. He didn’t want his teacher to see him cry.

“Whatever you thought,” Severus said. “Is not my problem. Good day, Potter.”

Harry didn’t know what to say. This was not how he expected this meeting to go. He thought Professor Snape would be proud of him that he would be on a team.

Harry quietly turned and walked out of the Professor’s office, closing the door, quietly. As he slowly walked down the corridor, the tears he was hiding came full force. Nothing had changed. He was still alone. Why would he think that someone would be nice to him?

Harry went into the nearest bathroom and hid in one of the stalls. He didn’t want to come out until he completely calmed down. Harry didn’t want anyone to know that he was crying like a baby.

He was so happy to get put on the team. And yes, he had Ron who was excited with him. But after what happened with Professor Snape, Harry thought things changed from how the first week in Potions went.

Harry walked out of the stall. His glasses in his hand. He went to the sink and tried to hide his tears by splashing water on his face. When he lifted his head and looked at his reflection in the mirror, the voice of Uncle Vernon rang in his ears. The tears started again.

“You’re nothing but a burden. A freak. Nobody will ever like you. You’re just a stupid freak. Nobody likes you. Nobody likes you. Nobody likes you.”

Harry said that over and over as he slid down the wall and wrapped his arms around his knees and cried.

___000___000___000

When Severus saw his office door close, he threw his quill down on his desk.

How dare that boy? Severus fumed. He has the audacity to come to my office and brag that he’s on the Gryffindor Quidditch team.

Severus couldn’t stay seated. There was too much pent-up energy and he needed to walk around.

That boy was just like his father. Arrogant. Potter throws his punishment in his face.

Look what I got. Your punishment meant nothing.

Severus’ anger was palpable. He wasn’t going to calm down in his office or chambers. He needed to walk outside and feel the breeze on his face. Something to cool his temper.

After putting his cloak on, Severus walked out of his office. He was walking down the corridor. It was unusually quiet. Even with his office and classroom were in the dungeon, it still had a few students that would use the darkened corridor as a hideaway. The only sound was the clicking of the heels of his boot. When he got to the end of the corridor, he heard some mumbling coming from the restroom. Thinking it was one of his Slytherins fooling around, he opened the door.

“You’re nothing but a burden. A freak. Nobody will ever like you. You’re just a stupid freak. Nobody likes you. Nobody likes you. Nobody likes you.”

Severus’ anger immediately vanished. He saw the boy curled against the far wall. He knew it was Potter. What was puzzling was the words.

This is Potter. He was to be just like his father. Arrogant. Believed he was better than everyone else. Tormentor. Arse. The boy sitting on the floor was none of those things.

Quietly, Severus closed the door to the restroom. There was a lot weighing on his mind now. He turned and walked slowly back to his chambers, the boys disparaging words ringing in his ears.

___000___000___000

It had been two weeks since Harry tried to tell Snape that he was on the Gryffindor team. Severus and Harry didn’t know what to do with what they thought of the other.

Harry had mixed feelings about the Professor. The day of the first Flying class, Harry felt calmness and caring from the Professor. But when he went to tell him his exciting news, the Professor was angry. Harry tried to stay clear of the Potions Professor, but each time he tried, something would draw him towards Snape. Harry found himself looking for the Professor. When he was in potions class, Harry had to catch himself from staring at the Professor. He wanted to ask the man what he did wrong and was there a way he could fix it. Harry just couldn’t muster up the courage to seek the man out. Harry was afraid that he wouldn’t like the answer.

Severus was sitting behind his desk. There were stacks of rolled parchments and small crates of student phials. All needed to be graded. He knew he needed to work on it, but he couldn’t take his mind off the small messy-haired boy with the lightning scar.

Ever since he found the boy in the restroom, crying, the words that he heard were troubling him. Severus started pondering if his preconceived notions of the boy could be wrong. He noticed the boy staring at him. He looked like he wanted to tell the Potions Master something but decided against it at the last second.

___000___000___000

“So, Harry, are you excited?” Ron asked as the two of them were walking from the Greenhouse back towards the school.

Herbology class just let out and it was lunch time. Ron tried over and over to get Harry out of whatever he was going through. Yeah, he would engage with him and Hermione when they did homework together or he and Ron would play a game of Exploding Snaps, but often, Ron would see Harry staring off into space. He figured something was bothering Harry, but Harry wouldn’t talk.

“Excited about what?” Harry asked. “What’s going on?”

“Halloween is this Friday,” Ron said. He had a huge smile on his face.

Harry couldn’t help smiling at the amount of glee that was coming off his best mate. As they walked into the school, Ron told Harry everything that happens in the Great Hall on Halloween.

“How do you know?” Harry asked.

“Fred and George told me,” Ron said.

Harry was excited. He wanted to see it. Pumpkins floating from the ceiling. The tables full of different puddings and candy. It was the best Harry had felt since he was accepted on the House team.

The two boys met up with Hermione when they got to the Great Hall for lunch. When they sat down, Hermione started to talk about what they were supposed to do in their other classes. While Ron tried to get the girl to relax, since most of the work wasn’t due until the following week.

Harry wasn’t paying attention to either of them. He was used to the two of them bickering back and forth. When Harry filled his plate, which was still not a lot of food, he looked at the Head table. Like all the other times, Harry would search out Professor Snape. He didn’t know why he had to see the man. The Professor obviously didn’t like him.

“So, Harry,” Hermione asked, bringing Harry out of his musing.

“Yeah.”

“Can we work together in Potions tomorrow?” Hermione asked.

Ron and Harry had a surprised look on their faces.

“Harry and I work together,” Ron said quickly. “Get your own partner.”

“I need to talk to him,” Hermione started, “and the only time I can do that is in Potions class.”

Harry felt, he didn’t know, honored and excited that his two friends were fighting on who would work with him. Well, not physically fighting, but arguing very loudly.

“So, Harry, will you?” Hermione asked again.

Harry started to feel the rise of nervousness in his belly. He didn’t want to hurt either one of them. So, he had to figure out how to make them happy.

“What about this,” Harry began, “I work with Ron during Potions. I would love to work with you Hermione, but I don’t want to get into any more trouble with Professor Snape. He might find a way to get me to miss the first game.”

Hermione nodded at that assessment.

“And during study break after Potions, we can work together then. We can speak without having to worry about really disturbing anyone.”

Hermione thought about that for a second and agreed. After thinking on some more, she noticed the tension between Harry and the Professor lately, and understood Harry not wanting to chance getting in trouble.

___000___000___000

Halloween.

Everyone was excited about the feast they were going to have at dinner. First-year Gryffindors and Slytherins had Potions as their last class before study period. Things were still tense with Harry and Professor Snape. Harry continued to steal glances at the Professor. Severus found himself doing the same thing.

“Gather your ingredients,” Severus said “You are to work alone. Get started.”

Everyone got their ingredients from the potion stores and got to work on their potion assignment.

While Severus would walk up each aisle, he would look at the boy. Sometimes he would catch the boy looking at him. In those times when they did look at each other, guilt would swarm in Severus’ gut because of what happened that particular day.

When Severus saw that there was a plume of smoke coming from one of the cauldrons, he quickly waved his wand ridding the room of the foul smell as well as the ruined potion. Potter, Weasley, Thomas and Longbottom were trying to salvage what Neville did. Severus walked over.

“What happened?” Severus growled. “This was a relatively easy potion to brew. What have you done? How did you manage to ruin it? Is it too taxing for you to pay attention?”

“But we—,” Ron said quickly.

“I don’t want to hear excuses, Mr. Weasley,” Severus said coolly, cutting Ron off. “If you would keep your mind on your work instead of the feast none of this would happen. Mr. Thomas and Mr. Longbottom, would you like to tell me what happened to your potions?”

Looking at each boy, Severus noticed that Potter was the only one not looking him in the eye, but he was cradling something in his hand.

Holding out his hand, “Give it here, Potter.”

Harry looked at the Professor and then back to his hand.

“Sometime today would be nice.”

Harry looked down at his hand and back up at the Professor. Slowly, he extended his hand and put the object in Snape’s hand.

Severus looked down at the object and barked to the class, “Get out! Everyone.” With a wave of his hand, everyone’s potions vanished from the cauldrons with a small sample placed in a phial with the child’s name, finding its way onto Snape’s desk.

The class didn’t have to be told twice. Everyone packed their things and ran out of class. It had to be the first time in history Professor Snape let his class leave twenty minutes early. When the last child left, Severus closed the door. Slowly walking to his desk, he looked down at the small piece of parchment. Two words were written on it: I’m sorry.  

His preconceived notions of Harry Potter were changing more and more every day.

___000___000___000

Everyone was murmuring about what the fact Snape let them out of class early. The students went their separate ways. Some went to the Great Hall. Some outside. And a few to the Library.

Harry and Hermione went to the Library. Ron, Dean, Neville, and Seamus decided to go to the Common Room to play Gobstones until dinner. Hermione didn’t even try to convince them they should work on their homework. She wanted to talk to Harry alone.

Harry and Hermione were sitting in a secluded area so they wouldn’t be disturbed.

“So,” Harry said, pulling out a roll of parchment so he could start on his Charms essay. “What did you want to talk about?”

“Give me a second,” Hermione said, getting up and walking to a bookshelf at the far end of the aisle.

When she came back, she put the book on the table.

“You told me before that you didn’t know much about your parents,” Hermione said.

Harry nodded, not knowing where she was going with this.

“I found this book last week,” Hermione said, flipping through the pages. “I wanted to show it to you. Maybe this could give you some ideas about your parents.”

Harry couldn’t help the smile on his face. The simple fact of learning anything about his parents was more than welcome. When Hermione found the part, she slid the book towards Harry. He moved everything so he could read it.

There was a picture of them at the top of the page. Harry just stared at it. He never had seen a picture of them. To see it now made his heart soar. He couldn’t keep the smile off his face.

“Thank you so much, Hermione,” Harry said, trying to keep his voice steady. “This means a lot.”

“You’re welcome,” Hermione said, packing her bag.

“Where are you going?” Harry asked, look up at her.

“I need to talk to Professor McGonagall,” Hermione said. “I’ll probably be a while, so I’ll see you at dinner.”

Hermione walked away from the table.

“Okay.”

Harry looked back at the picture. He slowly traced his finger over his mother’s face. Everyone told him that he looked like his father. Looking at the picture, he could see why. He did look like his dad.

Wow, this is really them.

Harry read the article under the picture. Once he got to the end, the smile on his face disappeared. Looking back at the picture, tears streamed down his cheeks.

“October 31, 1981, James and Lily Potter gave their lives to save the world.”

Today was October 31st. His parents died ten years ago on this day. Harry closed the book.

___000___000___000

Everybody was in the Great Hall. As described, there were decorations everywhere. Floating pumpkins. Paper bats charmed to fly around. The usual candles that floated, but the flames varied from orange, yellow, and red. Each of the House tables were filled to the brim with treats. All the Houses were having fun, laughing and talking. The teachers were sitting at the Head table.

Severus was overjoyed that the next day was Saturday, meaning he didn’t have to be bothered by hyper-active dunderheads. He looked out at the tables and noticed something. It was as if something was missing. Before Severus could put his finger on what was missing, Quirrell barged into the Hall screaming “TROLL!”

“TROLL in the dungeon,” Quirrell said and fainted on the floor.

All the children started panicking and rushing out of the Hall.

“Silence!” Albus commanded. Total silence. “I want you all to carefully go to your Common Rooms. Slytherin, I want you to go with Ravenclaw. I don’t want anyone roaming the halls. Now go. Quickly.”

All the students followed their respective prefect.

Severus watched as the children started to file out of the Hall. Albus and Severus looked at each other. Severus rushed out the back entrance of the Hall.

___000___000___000

When Harry finally left the Library, he knew it was way past time for dinner. He just didn’t feel like eating. After all these years of begging Aunt Petunia for any type of information about his mum and dad. He was denied every time. Harry had learned so much since he’d been in the Wizarding world.

Seeing their picture was amazing. All his life he wanted to know what his parents looked like. When he was younger, he would daydream about having a mum, hugging him when he was sad. Giving him a kiss on the forehead after tucking him in at night. Roughhousing with his dad. Having conversations with them. He never felt that.

But this year, seeing their picture, knowing the day they died, it seemed harder to handle. Harry didn’t think he could walk around the corridors anymore. He didn’t want to go to dinner, and he didn’t want to go to the Common room. Harry climbed on the windowsill and looked out to the sky.

Maybe, just maybe, mum and dad are looking down on me. Hopefully, I’m making them proud. Harry thought as tears streamed down his cheeks.

An owl flew past the window, bringing Harry’s attention back to his surroundings. Seeing the owl, Harry figured he could go up and see Hedwig. Harry climbed down and headed towards the stairs.

The smell hit him first. His hand went straight to his nose. He looked over the railing to see if he could find where it was coming from. Not seeing anything, Harry ran down the stairs so that he could get to the second floor. It was the floor that connected each set of stairs that would take him to the Common room.

When he got to the second floor, Harry ran as fast as he could toward the other end.

Argh! Grrr!

“What is that?” Harry asked.

“A troll, young one,” the Victorian dressed man in the portrait. “You shouldn’t be here.”

Harry slid to a stop. The shadow on the wall showed a tall monster walking towards the end of the corridor. The smell was ten times worse. Harry almost gagged at the smell. Looking around, Harry knew he was trapped. He needed to get to that end of the corridor to get away, but the monster was right there.

“You need to hide, young one,” the portrait urged.

Harry frantically looked around trying to find someplace to hide. There were several rooms along the corridor. Harry tried them. They were all locked.

When the troll heard the rustling and turned towards the noise.

Argh! Argh!

The troll came down the corridor where he saw something it could eat.

Harry saw the thing coming towards him. He desperately tried each door. None of them would open. Harry’s heart was beating tattoos in his chest. He was breathing hard.

“Help! Please somebody help!” Harry cried, tugging on a door.

The troll towered over Harry. It swung its huge club. Harry fell to the floor. The club barely missed him. Harry looked over his shoulder and saw that the troll was about to swing again. As fast as he could, Harry picked himself up. He tried to run but his foot stepped on the end of his cloak, causing him to fall back down, slamming his knee and mouth on the stone floor. His glasses fell from his face cracking the lenses.

Harry turned back and saw the troll’s club coming back down. Harry knew that he couldn’t move in time. I’m going to die. Maybe, I’ll see mum and dad, Harry thought as the club came down. Harry wrapped his arms over his head.

“Protego! Relashio! Reducto! Sectumsempra!”

The troll’s club slipped out of the troll hand at the same time exploding into tiny pieces. The troll fell backwards shaking the floor. Its chest ripped open in several places.

When Harry didn’t feel the pain he thought was coming, he lowered his arms. The troll wasn’t standing over him. Harry reached for his glasses.

“Potter.”

Harry looked towards the voice. Harry successfully stood up and rushed towards the Professor.

___000___000___000

Severus rushed out of the Great Hall when he learned of the troll. He didn’t trust it. He knew the others would look for the troll; he headed for the third floor. As he was going up the stairs, a couple of the portraits alerted him that there was a student in danger. When he reached the second floor, he heard the cries for help. Severus sent out his Patronus to Albus and Minerva.

When he found the troll, his heart dropped into his stomach. The troll swung its club at Potter and Severus worked on instinct, casting spell after spell. Within seconds, the troll was dead on the floor.

Severus watched as Potter stood on shaky legs.

“Potter.”

The boy looked up and saw his savior. More tears streamed down his dirty cheeks. Harry rushed to the Professor and wrapped his arms around his waist. Severus was shocked Potter was hugging him, but he couldn’t stop his arms wrapping around the boy’s shoulders. The last thing he ever thought he’d see was a student about to be killed by a troll.

“You’re safe, Harry,” Severus murmured.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 5: The Next Morning by mandancie

Albus, Minerva and Quirrell rushed to the corridor. Severus was still holding Harry in his arms. Minerva gasped when she saw the troll lying on the floor.

“What happened?” Albus asked. His voice was hard. His usual grandfatherly tone was not there.

“I was leaving the third floor,” Severus said, “when the portraits alerted me that a student was in danger.”

Minerva and Quirrell walked closer to the dead troll. The troll’s chest looked like it was ripped to shreds. Minerva turned back to where Albus was talking with Severus. Through all the commotion, she noticed that Severus was still holding Harry in his arms. Minerva saw Harry’s broken glasses on the floor. Picking them up, she walked over to them in an attempt to help Harry.

“Severus,” Minerva said, cutting the two wizards’ conversation. “I’ll take Potter to the Infirmary, so you can deal with this unencumbered.”

Severus honestly forgot that he was still holding Potter in his arms. Hearing Minerva speak of the boy, looking down, he realized that the child had his arms tightly wrapped around his waist. His face buried in his robes, and his shoulders shaking.

“Yes,” Severus said. “Take him. He needs tending to after this ordeal.”

Minerva walked over to Severus and Harry and placed her hand on the child’s shoulders. With the flick of his wrist, Severus retuned his wand back into its holster. The two Professors tried to remove Potter from Severus. It wouldn’t work.

Minerva spoke soothingly to Harry saying, “Let’s go to the Infirmary, Mr. Potter. Let Madam Pomfrey check you out,” rubbing comforting circles on Harry’s back.

Harry shook his head. He didn’t want to leave the safety of the dark robe that surrounded him. Harry had never felt this safe before. Hearing that someone wanted to take him away from this comfort wasn’t happening.

“No,” Harry said. His voice mumbled by Severus’ robes.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said, sternly. “Stop with these theatrics. Go with your Head of House and get checked out.”

“No,” Harry said. It came out louder as the boy screamed. The boy’s arms tightening around the Potion Master’s waist.

Albus interjected, “Severus, why don’t you take Harry to the Infirmary. Obviously, he doesn’t want to let go of you just yet. We’ll talk later.”

Severus didn’t like that idea. He could see it in those old geezers’ faces. They were going to make fun of him about this. They had been wanting to see Severus eat his words, which he was not prepared to do. Yes, from the past few weeks, Severus figured that Harry’s life wasn’t as lavish as he once thought. But having to admit it to two sentimental fools wasn’t on his list.

When Severus took a step back, Harry squeezed tighter and refused to be moved. Severus leaned down until he was by the boy’s ear.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said in a soft voice. “I will escort you to the Infirmary since you refuse to release me. Why you feel that you must attach yourself to me like a spider monkey I’ll never know.” The last part said to himself as he straightened back up.

Harry murmured something that only Severus heard. Since he was gifted at controlling his emotions and facial expressions, he did not show any reaction. After a moment, Severus escorted Harry to the Infirmary.

“Professor Quirrell, why don’t you dispose of this troll,” Albus ordered.

Quirrell was distracted with the troll’s lifeless body that he didn’t hear the Headmaster calling him.

“S…sorry, Headmaster,” Quirrell stuttered.

“Deal with the troll, my boy,” Albus said. “Then come to my chambers.”

Quirrell timidly nodded his understanding as Albus and Minerva left the corridor. When he was alone, Quirrell snarled looking down at the troll.

___000___000___000

When Severus and Harry started walking, Harry let go of Severus’ robes so he could see where he was going. Well, almost. Harry still had a tight grip on Severus’ robe and frock coat. The two of them were silent during their trek.

Severus had his mind on what Harry said. “You’re safe.” Severus knew he was the only one that heard it, as Minerva nor Albus took notice.

Harry was so scared. When he saw that huge troll swing the club at him, Harry knew he was about to die. The troll missed the first swing, but Harry tripped on his cloak, and with how he landed, that thing wasn’t going to miss a second time. He curled into a tight ball, like he did when Uncle Vernon was angry and hit him, hoping that the pain wouldn’t be too bad.

Harry heard words being said but didn’t understand them. He waited and waited but the pain never came. He hazarded a glance to see what happened and saw that there was nothing standing above him. He looked around and saw who saved him. Without thinking, Harry rushed over to his savior and wrapped his arms around him. He had never hugged anyone before, nor had anyone ever hugged him. But when he felt those two arms wrap tightly around him, Harry knew he was safe.

Growing up, he heard the word “safe” when he was in school. He never truly understood what it meant. He read it in the dictionary. But it was like a foreign concept to the boy. When he felt those comforting arms wrapped around him and a soothing voice validating that he was safe, Harry didn’t want to lose that.

___000___000___000

Snape and Potter walked into the Infirmary.

“Madam Pomfrey,” Severus called out.

Poppy came out of her office. She was shocked at what she saw. Harry was attached to Severus’ side, gripping the Potions Master’s clothing. There was blood at the corner of Harry’s mouth, his clothes dirty and ripped in places.

“Severus,” Poppy said. “What happened?”

“It seems Mr. Potter decided to take it upon himself to not follow the rules,” Severus sneered.

Poppy looked at the two wizards standing in front of her.

“Come, Mr. Potter,” Poppy said. “Let’s get you to right.”

Harry turned his head into Severus’ side.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus tried to extract the boy from his side. “This is unnecessary. Enough of these theatrics.”

Poppy walked over towards Harry and put her hand on the boy’s head. The child jumped and pressed his forehead more into Severus’ side.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus grunted.

“Severus,” Poppy said, cutting Severus off. “The child is in shock. I’m going to need you to stay here. I don’t want to stress Harry out more than he already is.”

Severus sighed, absently rubbing his hand on Harry’s back. “Come, Potter, let’s get you checked out.”

___000___000___000

Albus and Minerva walked into the Infirmary and was met by an unexpected sight. Albus eyes twinkled. Minerva had a knowing smirk on her face.

Severus was sitting in one of the chairs that was transfigured into a leather winged chair like the ones in his chambers. He’s arms were wrapped around the small child, slowly rubbing the child’s back.

Harry was in a set of Infirmary pajamas. But, instead of being on one of the cots, he was on Severus’ lap, laying against the man’s chest. His head tucked under Severus’ chin. One of Harry’s hands was gripping Severus’ clothes, while the other was snuggled against his chest.

“Well,” Minerva said, trying to swallow her laughter. “What is going on here?”

Severus didn’t reply; he just glared at the Gryffindor Head of House.

“My boy, why don’t you put young Harry down?” Albus asked.

“That sounds like a remarkable idea, Headmaster,” Severus snarled. “Unfortunately, the little imp won’t let go of me—will you stop laughing?”

“Hush now, Severus,” Minerva chuckled. “You don’t want to wake him up.”

She walked over to where he was sitting. Minerva had Harry’s, now fixed, glasses, and she put them on the side table. Before she stepped away, she combed her fingers in Harry’s hair.

“Yes, I do.” Severus snapped.

Minerva smirked at Severus. Yes, Severus was currently stuck with Harry, but he wasn’t exerting a great deal of effort to remove the child from his person.  

“Now, now,” Albus admonished lightly. “Severus, there’s no need to be harsh. I think it is wonderful how you are caring for Harry.”

“Leave me alone,” Severus bit out.

“I’m sorry, Severus,” Minerva said. “I just didn’t think you cared about Harry.”

Minerva walked back towards Albus.

“Will you two get out of here?” Severus snapped.

“We’ll leave,” Albus said, raising his hands in surrender. “We’ll talk in the morning. Good night, Severus.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Severus sighed.

Severus was once again alone in the Infirmary. He looked down at the small child laying on him.

“What are you doing to me, Potter?” Severus asked, quietly.

Harry nuzzled against Severus and relaxed with a deep sigh.

___000___000___000

Severus, sitting with the small child on his lap, debated with himself as to what happened a few hours ago. He went over and over what he has witnessed from this child since the beginning of the school term. Severus felt Harry nuzzle against him again. The child’s hand gripped his coat tighter.

Severus looked at the child. He had never felt fear like he had tonight. It was not Potter’s son that was curled up on the floor, nor was he Lily’s. He was a fragile boy. The look in the boy’s eyes when he saw him was utter appreciation.

He didn’t even know why he felt he had to reassure the child.

Harry stretched again as if he was trying to get more comfortable. In the process, he let go of Severus’ clothes.

Severus now had a reason to rid himself of the miscreant. But he found himself still watching the child.

Severus shook his head, snapping out those sentimental feelings. He didn’t like children. He couldn’t stand teaching them, but he didn’t have a choice. He would not start having feelings for this particular boy. Carefully, Severus tightened his hold on Harry, sliding from the chair to the cot in front of him. He lowered the boy turning Harry on his side. After covering the child, Severus got up and left the Infirmary.

___000___000___000

After leaving the Infirmary, Severus went to the Headmaster’s office to talk. After enduring sentimental quips from the old coot, Severus assured Albus that the room had not been tampered with. Severus, then, excused himself as it has been a long day and even longer night.

The next morning, Severus was more tired when he got up than when he laid down the night before. So many things had happened that puzzled Severus. He could hardly sleep thinking about the small imp that clung to him like a spider monkey.

There were too many questions that needed answering. The mantra of derisive comments he heard Potter saying. The apology Potter gave him during class. Finally, the fact that he would not release him. After taking care of his morning ablutions, Severus decided he needed to have a serious talk with Mr. Potter.

___000___000___000

Harry woke up and immediately realized that he wasn’t in his dorm. It didn’t have the same feel. It was soft, but not the same. When he opened his eye, Harry saw the shape of his glasses on the side table. Looking around, he saw he was in the Infirmary again. He started panicking. He didn’t want them to find out. They couldn’t find out.

Realizing that he was alone, as quietly as he could, Harry got off the cot, grabbed his clothes and quickly changed. He had done well avoiding coming to the Infirmary. Harry was determined not to get checked.

The child straightened the bed and with the practice of sneaking around his relatives, he left the Infirmary. Once he was out of the door, looking down the corridor, the coast was clear. Harry ran in the direction towards Gryffindor tower.

___000___000___000

Walking into the Infirmary, Severus closed his eyes.

This child was a mystery wrapped up in an enigma, Severus thought.

The Potions Master knocked on Poppy’s office door and opened it after he was granted entrance.

“Good Morning, Severus,” Poppy said, straightening items around her office. “You’re up here early. I was just about to run a diagnostic scan on Harry now that I have him here.”

“Good Morning,” Severus replied. “I came to inquire about your patient, but I see he’s escaped you.”

“What are you talking about, Severus?” Poppy asked. “Harry is lying on the cot?”

Severus’ only reaction was raising an eyebrow.

Poppy exited her office with Severus following her.

“You’ve got to be kidding,” Poppy exclaimed. “Severus, that boy worries me. I thought now that I had him, I could see what he’s hiding.”

Severus walked out of the Infirmary. He knew he needed to talk to Mr. Harry Potter soon.

___000___000___000

Harry crawled into the Common room and was met with a lot of talking from his fellow Gryffindors. Ron and Hermione were sitting on the sofa in front of the fireplace.

“Harry,” Ron called out.

“Hey, Ron, Hemione,” Harry said, walking over to the sofa.

“Where you been?” Ron asked.

“We haven’t seen you since yesterday,” Hermione said.

“Around,” Harry shrugged.

“Well, it’s about time for breakfast,” Ron said, getting up. “Let’s head to the Great Hall.”

“You go ahead,” Harry said. “I want to get something. I’ll meet you down there.”

“Sure.”

Ron and Hermione walked out of the portrait, and Harry went towards the dormitories. The boy was happy that there was no one in his dorm. He rushed, gathered a new set of clothes, and went to the shower.

___000___000___000

The corridors were much nosier than it was when he left the Infirmary. Harry knew that he would probably hear about him leaving the Infirmary. The child was determined that he would not have a check-up. Harry had friends here. He didn’t want people knowing he was a freak. The child just knew he had to be extra careful and kept his eyes opened.

Harry felt a little proud that he made it to the Great Hall without running into Madam Pomfrey. He put his hand on the door to open it.

“Mr. Potter.”

Harry froze. No no no no no, Harry thought. Anybody but him.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said again. Harry turned around and saw Professor Snape standing behind him. “Follow me.”

Severus turned and headed towards the stairs. Harry debated moving. He could go into the Great Hall and ignore Professor Snape’s command, or he could…

“Do not test me, Mr. Potter,” Severus said.

Harry looked up and saw that Snape was waiting by the stairs. Harry sighed and followed his Professor. Severus didn’t move until Harry was in reaching distance. Harry lowered his head as he followed Snape. He just knew that Professor Snape was taking him back to the Infirmary. He tried to think of a way to get out of them finding out.

Harry felt a hand on his shoulder bringing out of his musing. When he looked up, he saw that they were in front of Professor Snape’s office.

“Inside, Potter,” Snape ordered.

Harry slid past Snape and stood in the middle of his office. Severus closed the door and walked behind his desk and sat down. He waved his hand and the chair that was in the corner of the room moved to the front of Severus’ desk.

Harry looked at the chair and took a small step back. He knew that was the chair Professor Snape sat in when he was punished.

“Sit, Potter,” Snape said.

Harry slowly moved to the chair and sat down. Harry gripped his robe, twisting the cloth around his fingers.

“How are you feeling, Potter?”

Harry’s head shot up and looked at his Professor. Of all the things he thought they were going to talk about, asking how he felt was not one of them.

“Uh, fine sir,” Harry said meekly.

Severus picked up a small piece of parchment from his desk and held it so Harry could see. Harry curled more into his chair tightening his robe more around his fingers. He didn’t want to know that he did something wrong.

“From your reaction,” Severus stated, “you know what I am holding.”

“Yes, sir.”

“There are two words written on this piece of parchment,” Severus stated. “Care to tell me the meaning behind these two words?”

Harry opened his mouth as if he would answer but quickly shut it. He tried several more times, and each time he couldn’t bring himself to speak.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus sighed. “I would like to have breakfast some time soon. Please answer my question.”

Harry opened his mouth again. This time he spoke.

“You were mad at me. I didn’t mean to make you mad.”

Severus’ brows furrowed.

“When was I angry with you?” Severus asked.

Harry twisted his robe tighter and tighter around his fingers, trying to cover up his fear.

“I wanted to share with you that something exciting happened. I thought because you stayed with me, or well, let me stay. You didn’t just throw me out. You helped…. No one—” Harry stopped abruptly, biting his bottom lip. He couldn’t share that.

“Come to me,” Severus said.

Harry’s eyes got wide. He was about to be punished again? He didn’t do anything. Well, he did sneak out of the Infirmary, but he wasn’t going against the rules. Was he?

“Stop that,” Severus said sternly. “Come here.”

Harry jerked at the abruptness and carefully stood up. The boy took a deep breath and walked to the other side of the desk.

Severus looked at the boy in front of him. He reached out and grabbed Harry’s hand. Slowly and gently, Severus pulled Harry’s bottom lip, so the child wouldn’t bite it. He then unraveled Harry’s fingers from the confines of his robes.

Severus tsked when he saw that Harry caused his lips to bleed a little. Silently, Severus grabbed the same balm he used after Harry was punished and applied it to the child’s lip. Closing the jar, Severus sat back in his chair and looked at the child before him.

“Why did you leave the Infirmary, Mr. Potter?”

“I’m fine,” Harry said softly.

“I didn’t ask you how you felt,” Severus spoke. “I asked you why you left.”

“I didn’t need to be there,” Harry said quickly. “I needed to get ready for classes.”

“Did Madam Pomfrey release you?” Severus asked.

“No, sir,” Harry sighed.

“Then why did you leave?” Severus asked again. “You were not to leave until Madam Pomfrey released you. Yet you ran. What are you hiding?”

“I’m not hiding nothing,” Harry hollered.

“You will watch your tone with me,” Severus said, sternly. “It is not so early that I will not put you over my knee.”

Harry’s shoulders sagged. He didn’t want to answer these questions. No one was to know. He glanced over to the door, wondering if he could make it. Usually, Harry was able to get away from Uncle Vernon even if he was standing in front of the big man. Maybe he could make it with his Professor.

“Potter,” Severus exclaimed, bringing the child out of his musing. “Will you pay attention?”

“Sorry,” Harry mumbled.

“Answer my question,” Severus ordered.

Harry looked at the door back to the Professor.

“And if you’re thinking about running,” Severus stated, “I’ve already locked the door. You are not running from this. You are going to tell me why you left the Infirmary. Better yet, why have you been avoiding the Infirmary?”

“I’ve not been avoiding it,” Harry said.

“I beg to differ, Potter. Madam Pomfrey has already informed me she’s been trying to get you in so she could run a full check-up on you.”

“There’s nothing wrong with me,” Harry insisted, glancing at the door.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said, silkily. “If you are planning on running from me, you might find it a little bit difficult.”

“I’m not running,” Harry said.

“No?” Severus challenged. “Then come with me.”

Severus stood up. Harry paled.

“To where?” Harry squeaked, trying to get his voice steady.

“You’re not running or avoiding the Infirmary,” Severus said, grasping Harry’s shoulder. “You’re brave enough to be cheeky with me now. We’re going to the Infirmary.”

Harry was allowing himself to be moved, but once it came that they were going back to the Infirmary, he stopped. Severus looked down at the boy.

“Mr. Potter, enough of these games.” Severus turned the child so that they were facing each other. “What is your issue about going to the Infirmary?”

Harry didn’t want to go. He couldn’t go. He wasn’t allowed to go. They would learn the truth. And all of this will end.

Instantly, Harry’s bottom lip was between his teeth, and his hands were twirling in his robe. Severus could see true fright in the boy’s eyes. He knelt in front of Harry and once again pulled the child’s lip from his teeth and opened the boy’s hands.

“Last night,” Severus said softly. “What did you say was the reason you didn’t want to let me go?”

“You’re safe,” Harry whispered.

“You feel that I’m safe,” Severus repeated. “Then why don’t you want to get checked out?”

Harry lowered his head and said nothing.

Severus sighed and stood up. “Well, I can’t make you,” walking back to his desk, sitting down.

Harry looked up startled at the change of behavior Professor Snape was showing.

“You don’t want to confide as to why you are avoiding the Infirmary, I won’t force you.” Severus picked up the small piece of parchment that started the whole conversation. He crumpled it in his hand, tossing it aside. Severus sat down, gathered some ungraded homework, ignoring the small boy.

Harry watched as Snape crumpled his apology note and felt something break inside of him. The tears he was trying to hide flowed down his cheeks. He really was a freak. Nothing he did was right. He truly thought he had someone that cared. Professor Snape saved him yesterday. Professor Snape hugged him.

The boy wanted to scream that he was sorry. He wanted to explain why. Anything that would bring back the safety he felt last night.

Click.

The sound of the door unlatching brought Harry out of his musing. He looked back at the Professor hoping for one more look, but Snape never lifted his head. Slowly, Harry walked out of the office softly closing the door behind him.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 6: Quidditch by mandancie

Severus heard the soft click and looked at the closed door. Severus balled his fist so tightly he broke his quill. Grabbing the inkwell, Severus violently threw it across the room, watching it splash against the stone wall.

Severus stood up and started pacing the length of his office. He was angry. The problem was he didn’t know who the source of his anger. Was it Potter that angered him with his stubbornness? Or was it himself for caring in the first place?

Severus walked over to the small crumpled parchment that was laying where he dropped it. He opened it back up looking at the two words inscribed on it: I’m sorry. All Severus could see was the brokenhearted boy’s face when he saw the apology note fall to the floor. That look was not James. It wasn’t even Lily. Severus knew that look. He’d seen it many times in the mirror when he was growing up.

Severus knew he wasn’t going to get anything done today, so he went to his chambers. Waving his arm, fire came to life on the logs. Severus sat down on his leather chair and pinched the bridge of his nose.

___000___000___000

Harry slowly walked out of the dungeon. He saw that it was that it was the beginning of breakfast. Harry had no appetite for anything: food or company. He turned to the front doors and decided to go for a walk.

Harry walked around the grounds. Harry walked towards the lake. Harry could see the edge of the boathouse. The boy remembered how he felt when he first saw Hogwarts. The awe of it. He thought this was a place where he wouldn’t be a freak.

It’d been two months and those wistful feelings were long gone. Yes, he still loved being at Hogwarts. He loved his owl, his dorm, especially his bed, and his friends. Having all that, Harry still felt like someone looking in. He felt like he couldn’t fit in. That maybe his relatives were right. Nothing good can come from a loathsome freak.

Harry walked to the end of the pier and sat down. Harry’s feet slightly swayed. He sighed as he looked out onto the water.

___000___000___000

Fred and George were walking from the boathouse when they saw Harry sitting on the pier.

“Oi, Harry,” Fred called out.

“What are you doing here by yourself?” George asked.

Harry couldn’t help but smile at the twins. They always brought fun and happiness when they were around. They made practice enjoyable.

“One of the first-years giving you a problem?” Fred asked.

“Do we have to prank Ron?” George asked.

The twins knew how much Ron wanted to be on the Quidditch team and they had to pull their little brother aside and get him to understand that Harry was good, and they could win. And that he was Harry’s friend. He should support Harry, not make him feel bad.

Harry didn’t notice the jealousy from Ron and was surprised when Ron came to him and apologized. Harry had shrugged it off.

The twins put their arms around Harry’s shoulders, bringing him out of his many thoughts.

“So, sitting here thinking about the game this tomorrow?” Fred asked.

Not wanting to reveal what was really the problem, Harry nodded. Which wasn’t a lie, as he was nervous about the upcoming game.

“Well, don’t let it bother you,” George said, slightly bumping Harry, causing the small boy to smile. “We’ll make sure you won’t get hurt with the bludger.”

___000___000___000

He looked down from the Astronomy tower. He didn’t like it. Maybe he shouldn’t have used the troll. He couldn’t do what he wanted to do. Then there was Snape. That suspicious bastard. He’s always watching me.

Seeing movement by the Black lake, he saw the Weasley twins along with the Potter boy. Something must happen. Last night was a disaster. The attack on Potter made yesterday not a total loss.

The wizard turned to leave the tower. He was in his thoughts that he didn’t see the one in black watching from the shadows.

___000___000___000

The twins escorted Harry back to the castle.

“We are going to the tower before practice,” Fred said.

“You want to go with us?” George asked.

“Thanks,” Harry said. “No, that’s okay. I have something I need to do before practice.”

“All right,” Fred said, clapping Harry on his shoulder. “We’ll see you at practice.”

Harry smiled as he watched the twins leave. Harry loved being around the Weasley twins. They could always brighten up a day.

Now that he was standing alone at the entrance, Harry looked up towards the magical stairs. He gathered his Gryffindor courage and walked to the second floor.

Poppy was in her potion supply cupboard. She thought about her patient that ran away that morning. She worried about Potter. His fear of wanting a check-up was perturbing. The matron was thinking of what she could do to talk with Harry, when she heard the double doors open. When she turned around, she was surprised to see who was standing by the door.

“Well,” Poppy said, putting her clipboard on the shelf. “To what do I owe this visit?”

Harry slowly walked closer to Madam Pomfrey.

“I wanted to apologize,” Harry said, softly, wringing his hands.

“It’s all right, sweetie,” Poppy said. “Is there something you want now?”

Poppy could see that Harry was nervous. She didn’t want to scare the child.

“I..uh,” Harry sighed. “I mean…I know you wanted…”

“Mr. Potter,” Poppy said softly. She could see that he was struggling. “Come sit.”

Harry walked over to one of the cots and sat down. Poppy sat down next to him. She wrapped her arm around Harry’s small shoulders and pulled him to her side. Feeling the small child broke her heart. It was as if there was no fat on the child.

“Now, you know I want to run a diagnosis on you?” Poppy’s tone was soothing.

Harry nodded. He knew he shouldn’t talk about this. It wouldn’t go well. But he could still see the look on his Professor’s face when he didn’t give him his reason. This was the reason he was here. Harry wanted to show Professor Snape that he was brave.

“I am not going to hurt you,” Poppy encouraged. “It is a small tickle over your skin. It will tell me everything that is bothering you. Maybe, I can find out why your head was hurting a few weeks ago.”

Harry looked up in surprise. He didn’t think Madam Pomfrey would remember that.

“Are you ready to get this done?” Poppy asked.

“Yes, ma’am,” Harry sighed.

Poppy stood up, pulling out her wand from her apron. “Why don’t you lay back, while I run the diagnostic. Relax, Harry.”

Well, now everyone will know I’m a freak, Harry thought.

___000___000___000

Minerva was working on her six-year students’ work when her wards alerted her that someone was on their way. Without looking up, Minerva waved her hand causing her door to open.

“Minerva.”

Minerva lifted her head, raising an eyebrow. She didn’t expect this particular visitor.

“Well, Severus,” Minerva said, putting down her quill. “To what do I owe the pleasure? It’s been a while since you’ve graced my door.”

“Yeah,” Severus sighed, sitting down in the leather chair across from Minerva’s desk.

“I’m surprised to see you without Mr. Potter,” Minerva said, smirking.

Severus glared at the woman. “I didn’t come here to be teased.”

“Obviously.”

Severus rolled his eyes.

“What is bothering you, Severus?” Minerva asked.

Minerva and Albus would work on Severus’ nerves. They loved to aggravate the Potions master. But deep down, Severus knew that he could go to the two wizen ‘old coots’ whenever he needed to talk, or after a stressful Death Eater’s meeting, and through his time of depression after disaster from that dreadful October night.

Severus sighed, slouching against the back of the chair.

“What is it, Severus?” Minerva asked again.

Severus looked at Minerva and stood up.

“Severus, wait,” Minerva called out when she watched Severus walk out of her chambers without saying a word.

___000___000___000

Poppy was trying to collect herself in her office, while Harry was in the main Infirmary. She told Harry to wait for her to gather a few more items. Poppy looked at the parchment that printed after the diagnostic spell she cast on Harry.

Bruise. Underweight.

Poppy took a deep breath. She wanted to assure Harry that everything was fine. She understood now why he was so reluctant to get scanned. There has not been a student this bad in a few years.

Poppy walked back to Harry with a pair of pajamas and a jar the size of her hand.

“This, Harry,” Poppy stated, “is a balm that will help heal the bruises that you have.” She placed the jar on the side table along a small goblet of pumpkin juice. “I want you to take this now, and I’ll have the elves put it in your drink when you are in the Great Hall.”

“What is it?” Harry asked leaning over the cup to see what’s in there.

“It’s pumpkin juice,” Poppy informed. “I put some nutrient potion in there. You’re a little underweight. It will boost your appetite so you can gain a little more weight.”

Harry picked up the goblet and slowly put it under his nose to see if it smelled bad. Poppy couldn’t hold back her chuckle.

“Sweet Merlin, Potter,” Poppy laughed. “You won’t be able to taste it.”

Harry looked skeptical. Adults had never been true to their word when it came to him. But there was Professor Snape. But he doesn’t want to have anything to do with me. Coming out of his depressing thoughts, he took a small sip, observing there was no difference in the taste. Harry smiled up at the matron. Harry put the cup back to his lips and drank the juice with no issues.

Poppy couldn’t keep the smile off her face.

Harry finished the juice and stood up. “Can I go now?”

“Yes,” Poppy said, handing him the jar of balm. “I want you to put this on every night. It should help with the bruises. Now, away with you. You can’t afford to miss any meals.”

“Thank you, Madam Pomfrey,” Harry said.

He walked to the door and stopped.

“Madam Pomfrey?”

Poppy turned and looked at the small boy at the door.

“Can you tell Professor Snape that I came here?” Harry asked and left.

Poppy was shocked by the request. Why would Harry want me to tell Severus? She shrugged it off and continued her duties. She would ask Severus what that was about.  

___000___000___000

Harry walked into the Great Hall and was greeted by Ron.

“Heya, Harry,” Ron said, wrapping his arm around his shoulders. “You got to see what I got for you.”

“Okay,” Harry said smiling.

The two young Gryffindors sat down. Harry started putting food on his plate so he could eat. Harry was about to eat his first bite when a book was shoved under his nose.

Putting down his fork, “What’s this?” Harry asked.

“It’s a book on Quidditch,” Ron said. He was excited. “It tells you about all the different moves.”

“Really,” Harry said, taking the book from his friend and started thumbing through it.

“Yeah,” Ron said. Now, he started to fill his plate. “Imagine all the moves you could learn for the game tomorrow.”

After the boys finished breakfast, they headed to the Common room so that they could look over the book. Before Harry walked out of the Great Hall, he looked at the dais to see if a certain Potions Master was sitting there. He couldn’t help feeling saddened at not seeing the man.

___000___000___000

Late afternoon found Harry sitting on the ledge of the owlery. Hedwig was sitting next to him. Harry was absently rubbing her feathers as he looked through the Quidditch book. He and Ron looked over the book all morning. Harry didn’t think he would be able to do some of the moves in the book. He hadn’t flown on a broom that long. Though he loved the feel of flying, he wasn’t comfortable yet.

Harry stopped petting Hedwig to turn the page when his arm was grabbed from behind and yanked off the ledge. The movement was so fast, Harry’s glasses almost slid completely off his nose. He was dizzy from the abrupt move. He didn’t know what happened until he felt a smack on his bottom followed about three more.

“Have you completely lost your mind.”

Harry looked up and saw an enraged Potion Professor. Harry looked around for Hedwig and saw she wasn’t on the ledge anymore. She must have flown off when Harry was grabbed.

The first few smacks didn’t register with Harry, but the next round did. His bottom was starting to sting.  

“Do you not have any self-preservation?” Severus growled. “First, I catch you flying almost slamming into the castle. Now, you’re sitting on the ledge where a gust of wind could take you off.”

Tears stung Harry’s eyes. He didn’t know if he was crying because once again, he was getting a spanking, or that Professor Snape was still angry.

Severus let Harry go and looked down at the boy.

“Why are you up here?” Severus asked.

Harry took his glasses off and started rubbing the tears when he felt his hand moved away and a crisp handkerchief thrust in front of him. Harry looked at the white piece of cloth for a second. It must have been a little too long as Severus shook it in front of Harry for the boy to take it.

“I’ll ask again,” Severus said. “Why are you up here?”

Harry took a deep breath after cleaning his face as best he could seeing how tears were still falling.

“I…I was j…just re…reading a…and visiting Hedwig,” Harry whispered.

“And visiting your owl meant you needed to put yourself in danger?” Severus inquired, raising an eyebrow.

“I wasn’t in danger,” Harry said.

Severus stepped forward, grabbed Harry’s arm, turning him sideways, and smacked his bottom again. This time the crying came. Harry dropped his glasses on the floor, his arms crossing over his face.

“You were very much in danger,” Severus said, letting go of Harry’s arm. “What would you have done if you slipped? Who would have been here to help you?”

“I’m sorry,” Harry whispered.

The boy backed up until he was against the wall, and like last time, he slid down and curled himself into a small ball: knees to his chest, arms wrapped around them.

Severus sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. He was coming to the owlery to send off a missive when his heart dropped and leapt at the same time, seeing that small child sitting on the ledge. Once again that fear he felt, when he saw the troll swung its club at the child, came back. Why was this bothering him?

Severus looked down at the little boy, crying quietly. Shaking his head, Severus knelt beside him.

“Potter,” Severus said softly.

There was a gasping, mumbled “yes, sir,” coming from the small boy.

“Look at me,” Severus said. He regretted making that request. It was Lily’s eyes looking at him. Severus looked away.

“I want you to answer me clearly this time. Why were you up here?” Severus asked again.

“Reading,” Harry spoke quietly. “And I wanted to see Hedwig.”

“Reading what?”

Harry removed his arms from around his knees and reached for the discarded book that fell from his hands when he was taken from the ledge.

Severus took the offered book and looked at the title. ‘Quidditch Through the Ages.’

Great, Severus thought, just what the boy needed. Yes, he was good on a broom, but that doesn’t mean he needed to drive himself wild learning more moves.

Severus shook his head of those thoughts and pocketed the book. Harry gaped at the Potions Master.

“Why are you taking my book?” Harry asked. “You already spanked me. Why am I still being punished?” More tears spilled from his eyes when finished that statement.

“You were punished,” Severus clarified, “because of your constant need to put yourself in danger. My confiscating this book is because library books are not to be taken from the Library.”

“I didn’t take it from the library,” Harry said. “You have to give it back.” Harry started to panic. What if Ron didn’t talk to him because he lost his book? He couldn’t lose his best, only friend.

“I don’t have to do anything,” Severus said, raising his eyebrow at the audacity of the boy.

“Please.” Harry reached out gripping Severus’ sleeve. “I can’t lose that book. It’s not mine. I have to give it back. He may stop being my friend if I lose his book. Please, Professor.”

What Severus was about to say died in his throat when he saw the panic in the child’s eyes. Severus slowly grabbed Harry’s wrist. He didn’t try to remove the boy, but he needed the child to pay attention.

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said softly. “Whoever gave you this book they got it from the Library.”

“Please, Professor Snape,” Harry begged, not listening to the Professor. “I’ll do anything.”

“Calm yourself, Harry,” Severus said.

Harry quickly stopped talking when he heard his name. He didn’t realize he was still gripping Professor Snape’s robe.

“This is nothing that you need to go into hysterics,” Severus said, pulling the book back from his robe. Opening the front of the book, Severus showed Harry the inside cover. “Do you see that? What does it say?”

Harry leaned closer towards the book, when he saw his glasses in the Professor’s hands. Putting on his glasses, Harry looked at the book. Severus noticed that he was still leaning in to read the book but didn’t say anything.

The inside cover had an ink stamp: Hogwarts Library.

“What does it say?” Severus asked, his voice soft.

“Hogwarts Library,” Harry said, looking at Snape.

Harry had never seen his Professor this close before. Looking at the man, he didn’t seem as intimidating. Harry lowered his head slightly embarrassed and weirdly calm. His hand was still on the Professor and he hadn’t shaken him off. Not wanting to make the man angry, Harry let go and sat back on his heels.

“Now,” Severus said. “You see this is not your friend’s book. If they ask you for it or give you trouble,” Severus stood up, “send them to me.”

Without saying another word, Severus left the owlery. Once again, Harry was confused about the attitude of the Professor. Hedwig hooted, bringing Harry out of his musing. The boy stood up, petting his owl while whispering to her. Since he received his owl, Hedwig was Harry’s secret keeper. Harry spent the early days telling her about everything that happened. It was no different now. After saying his goodbyes, Harry headed for the Gryffindor Common room.

___000___000___000

Severus’ trek back to his chambers was a slow one. Once again, that boy does something that muddled with his mind. Every time he tried to keep his distance from the child, something would happen that brings him closer to the brat.

He thought about the impromptu spanking he gave the child. He could have easily paid the boy no mind, but the thought of scaring the child and causing him to lose his balance…Severus still had to shake his head as that feeling of dread seeped into him.

The man was so lost in thought that he didn’t realize he made it to his chambers. Standing in front of his door, he knew he needed to stop this. He couldn’t continue to worry about that boy, who wasn’t even in his house. He just needed a quiet evening with a stiff drink.

When he opened the door, that last thought went straight out the window. Albus and Minerva were sitting on the sofa in front of the fire.

“Severus, my boy,” Albus cheerfully said. “Come, join us.”

“Why are you here?” Severus groaned.

“I thought it would be good to have tea together,” Minerva said, pouring another cup of tea. “Come sit.” She waved her hand at the armchair next to the sofa.

“I don’t want tea,” Severus growled. “I want to be alone.”

“Oh, stop being difficult,” Minerva dismissed. “Now, sit down. You need to stop being antisocial.”

“I like my privacy,” Severus said. “Though you two don’t think I should have any.”

“Now, now,” Albus tsked. “There’s no reason for attitude.”

“Attitude?” Severus couldn’t believe what Albus said. “You barge into my chambers, make yourself at home, all before I even got here. And you’re talking to me about my attitude.”

“Now, Severus, you knock it off,” Minerva admonished. “There was a very important reason we are here. Now stop acting like an emotional teenager, sit down and drink your tea.”

Severus was shocked mute. It had been a very long time since anyone had talked to him in that manner. He looked from Minerva to Albus, and back to Minerva. Taking a deep breath, Severus calmed his nerves and sat down.

“Forgive me,” Severus sighed.

It was a long time before Minerva and Albus left Severus’ chambers. After the two overbearing geezers left, Severus realized there was more to worry about than just the boy.

___000___000___000

Today was the big day. Harry had mixed feelings about it. On one hand, he was excited. He practiced hard with his teammates. On the other, he was anxious. He wanted to do well, so his teammates would let him stay on the team.

Harry’s worries about how Ron would take him losing the book was all for naught. Ron wasn’t upset. Ron admitted that he forgot to tell Harry that it was from the library and promised Harry that he was still his best friend.

Harry was standing at the entrance to the Quidditch pitch surrounded by his teammates. Fred and George were standing next to him. Looking around, Harry truly felt tiny compared to the heights of the other players.

“Alright, Harry,” Oliver said. “Just stay above until you see the snitch.”

Harry’s nerves were on edge, so all he did was nod his understanding.

George wrapped his arm around Harry’s shoulders.

“Don’t worry, Har,” George said. “We got your back.”

“Yeah,” Fred said. “Only worry about the gold ball.”

Before Harry could respond, the doors opened, everyone got on their brooms, and flew out on the field.

The instant Harry was in the air his anxiety vanished. He felt calm. He flew around the field along with the others, ending at the middle of the field. Harry looked around. He saw Ron and Hermione, along with Dean, Neville and Seamus, cheering. He smiled at his friends and then looked around the other stands. Emerald landed on onyx. A sense of peace flowed down Harry.

The attention went to Madam Hooch. She gave the rules, released the balls, and the game began.

Harry flew up high and watched as the game commenced. Both teams were going at it. Gryffindor scored. Slytherin scored. The beaters were trying to stop the players. Oliver kept the Slytherin team from scoring as well as the other way around.

Harry was enjoying the game. Then out of the corner of his eye he saw a glint of gold. The snitch flew in front of him and Harry took off. In and out. Over the goal posts or around the stands. Harry had tunnel vision. He only saw the snitch. He was about to reach out for the small golden ball when his broom bucked as if it were a horse. This stunned Harry out of his focus so that he noticed his surroundings. He was high above the field. The snitch was nowhere around. Harry looked around to see what possibly could have happened. He shrugged it off and headed back so that he could find the snitch again.

On his way back, the broom once again bucked. This time it wasn’t just a single jerk. It wouldn’t stop. The broom started bucking, swaying, going up a few meters and flying down a few meters. It spun in circles. Harry closed his eyes and tried to hold on as tight as he could. The broom kept moving erratically. Harry started to lose his grip.

Harry was scared to scream. He feared he would lose his breakfast if he did. He was too scared to cry. Harry thought about everything he’d been in that could have killed him: his uncle, his cousin, the teachers. Coming to a school where he wasn’t considered a freak and found friends, he didn’t think this would be the place that would kill him.

Harry was ripped from his thoughts when he was completely flipped from the broom. This time a scream did escape the small boy’s lips. Harry held on to the broom like a life raft. He feared that he would lose his grip.

“HELP!” Harry screamed. “PLEASE!”   

He felt his hand slipping, when another ear-piercing scream escaped his lungs. Right before his hand completely slipped from the wooden handle, Harry felt something grip his wrist. He felt his arm pull closer to the broom so that he could get a better grip.

The broom continued to buck trying to drop the child, but for whatever reason, Harry’s hand was glued to the broom. No amount of moving would remove Harry’s hand. Knowing that he couldn’t move his hand, calmed Harry a little so he could try and remount his broom. That was still difficult. Then as if it never happened, Harry’s broom hovered where it was.

Harry looked at the broom, when it didn’t move anymore, he mounted his broom with no problem. Testing the maneuverability of the broom let him know he was now in charge. Once he had control, he could move his hand. Once Harry’s heart slowed, he was able to get his mind back on the game.

Again, the golden snitch caught his eye. Harry was determined to catch it. No matter what. Yet again, he took off after it. This time both Seekers were after it. The other Seeker tried to knock him off his broom, but Harry would not be deterred. The snitch flew with the effort to make the Seekers earn the win. Harry was resolute.

Both Seekers were neck and neck. Harry being smaller was just a few inches closer. The Slytherin Seeker tried to push Harry off his broom. Being close to the ground he succeeded, but instead of falling sideways, since Harry was leaning forward, he fell forward rolling on the grass.

Alicia and Katie landed next to Harry and helped him stand up. He collapsed against Alicia before catching himself. Alicia once again helped Harry stand, this time something popped out of Harry’s mouth.

“Gryffindor Wins!”

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 7: Tempers by mandancie

Severus flopped on his armchair. His legs sprawled out in front of him. He pinched the bridge of his nose with his thumb and forefinger.

That blasted boy was going to be the end of him before it was Christmas. He couldn’t do anything easy.

The door to his chambers opened.

“Get out,” Severus growled without opening his eyes.

“Now, Severus,” Albus softly chastised. “Is that anyway to talk to your guests?”

“It would be when they are not invited,” Severus said snidely. “What do you want?”

“I wanted to talk about today’s Quidditch match,” Minerva said, speaking for the first time.

“If you’ve come to gloat,” Severus opened his eyes, glaring at the Gryffindor, “you can turn and walk right out that door.”

“Severus Tobias Snape,” Minerva chided, putting her hands on her hips. “Stop this right now. If you think I’m so callous that I would gloat about a stupid win when one of my children almost bucked off his broom and plummeted to his death, then you do not know me as much as you claim.”

Thoroughly chastised, Severus sat up straighter in the chair.

“Forgive my attitude,” Severus said. “I’m a little testy.”

“I’m sure you are,” Albus said, sitting down. “You used a lot of magic keeping Harry on that broom.”

“Keeping Harry on the broom?” Minerva asked with a hint of surprise.

Severus looked up and saw the look Minerva was giving him; a small hint of blush rose Severus’ neck to his cheeks.

“There is no need to stare,” Severus barked.

“Now, now, my boy,” Albus said. “Don’t be so modest. It took a lot of controlled magic to keep the child attached to his broom.”

“I—I,” Minerva stuttered. She didn’t know how to take this information. “I apologize for my attitude, Severus,” waving her hand conjuring a decanter and three tumblers.

“Do you have any idea who would curse the child’s broom?” Severus asked after taking a sip of the Firewhiskey.

“I am unsure,” Albus said solemnly. “I didn’t feel anything where I was. Minerva?”

“No,” Minerva said quickly. She didn’t know that Severus was keeping Harry attached to his broom. She didn’t notice a problem until he was swinging in the air. Thinking about it now, she was doing what Severus accused her of. Sitting next to Lee Jordan, Minerva was more involved in the game score instead of watching the players.

“Severus, I would like you to keep an eye out for Harry,” Albus said. “See who—”

“I beg your pardon,” Severus growled, cutting Albus off. “I will not spend my time babysitting Potter.”

“My boy,” Albus smirked, seemingly immune at being cut off. “You can stop with the act.”

“What act?”

“You’ve been taking care and watching out for Harry since he stepped into the door,” Albus said. “You may think I don’t know, but I do.”

“Know what?” Severus sneered.

“You punished Harry for flying when the class was instructed to stay on the ground,” Albus said, looking over his half-mooned glasses.

Severus knew Albus was talking about spanking Harry. Corporal punishment wasn’t restricted in the school but was only used as a last resort. Honestly, Severus was surprised that he wasn’t summoned to Albus’ chambers after Harry’s flying diabolical.  

“Ah, yes,” Minerva agreed. “He did have to have detention with you. Then there was the troll incident, and Harry refused to let you go.”

Severus raised an eyebrow at Minerva. He would have thought that Albus told her, but then if she did know, he would have heard about it.

“So, don’t act like you’ll be put out by it,” Albus said, standing up. “I’m just saying to continue on what you’ve been doing.”

Albus held out his hand to help Minerva to stand.

“We shall leave you for the night,” Albus said. “Good night, my boy.”

Severus closed his eyes, trying to calm his temper. It wouldn’t look great if he were to obliviate those two geezers. 

It hadn’t been long since Albus and Minerva left that Severus needed to walk around. His nerves were on edge. The fact that someone cursed the boy’s broom didn’t sit well with him. He needed something to occupy his mind. He headed to the Infirmary.

When he walked in the doors, he was greeted by Poppy.

“Oh, Severus,” Poppy said.

“Evening, Poppy,” Severus said. “I came to see if there were any potions that you’re in need of.”

“I’m not sure,” Poppy said, walking towards her cupboard located at the back of the Infirmary.

Severus followed. He noticed that most of the cots were empty except for one. The child was curled on his side. Seeing the wild nest of hair, Severus knew who it was.

Poppy walked over to Severus.

“Why is Potter here?” Severus asked.

Thinking back on the Quidditch game, Severus remembered seeing the child stand up after he landed on the field. He didn’t appear to be hurt. Was there some underlying damage that was done while he was being bucked on his broom?

“Ah,” Poppy said. “He came complaining about his wrist hurting.”

“On his own?” Severus asked skeptically. Severus recollected that Harry was adamant that he didn’t want to go to the Infirmary.

“Well, no,” Poppy shrugged. “The Weasley twins brought him.”

Severus harrumphed.

“But Harry did want me to tell you that he did get a check-up,” Poppy continued. “He was very persistent in making sure I told you he came.” Again, Poppy shrugged her shoulder. “Here is a list. It isn’t much, but I’m low on these.”

Severus absently took the piece of parchment. His attention was no longer on the potions list. It was on the small child lying on the cot.

“You said his wrist was hurt?” Severus inquired.

“Yes,” Poppy said, walking over to the side of Harry’s cot. “Harry said it felt like someone was gripping his arm. When I ran a diagnostic, I didn’t see anything damaged. Just some small bruising and slight swelling of his fingers, but nothing serious. I kept him here because I wanted to keep an eye on him. I gave him a small amount of calming draught and dreamless sleep. Even though Harry had fun playing, it was still a trying day. He needed the rest.”

After a moment of silence, Poppy said, “Well, if you’ll excuse me, I have a few odds and ends to finish before I turn in.”

“Don’t let me stop you, Poppy,” Severus said. “I’ll get started on this list and get back to you soon.”

“Very well,” Poppy said, walking away. “Good night, Severus.”

Severus sat down on the edge of the cot, looking at the small child peacefully sleeping. Shaking his head, Severus couldn’t understand how a small child could cause such a huge worry.

He needed to stop worrying about Potter. The brat wasn’t in his house, so there was no logical reasoning behind the attention. Now, he was being charged with watching out for the brat.

“You’re going to be the death of me, Potter,” Severus whispered, brushing the child’s hair away, revealing the famous scar.

Severus stood and left the Infirmary.

___000___000___000

The next morning Harry was released from the Infirmary with the order of taking it easy with his hand. His wrist was better, just a little sore. Madam Pomfrey warned Harry to let it rest and no roughhousing.

Harry met up with Ron and Neville at the Great Hall. All three were chattering about the Quidditch game the previous day. The boys sat next to Hermione, who was already at the table eating.

“How are you feeling, Harry?” Hermione asked.

“I’m okay,” Harry replied, filling his plate with eggs. “Madam Pomfrey said take it easy. So, that’s what I’m gonna do.” Harry smiled.

After breakfast, the group of children headed to the Gryffindor common room. After much deliberation and arguing, Hermione, Harry, and Neville convinced Ron that they needed to do their homework before the next day. Luckily, it wasn’t much that had to be done. All the Professor, except Professor Snape, didn’t assign much homework this weekend.

“So, Harry,” Ron said, trying to put off starting his homework. “Do you have any idea of who cursed your broom?”

“No,” Harry shook his head. “I was trying to not fall.”

“They think it was a professor,” Neville said.

“Who thinks that?” Harry asked.

“Hermione and Ron,” Neville answered.

“Why would you think that?” Harry asked, looking at Ron and then Hermione.

“You should be asking who it was,” Ron said. “He’s been against you since classes started.”

“Who?” Harry asked, exasperated, getting tired of not getting a straight answer.

“Professor Snape,” Ron said.

“He was uttering a spell,” Hermione said. “He had his eyes on you.”

Harry paled. That’s impossible. Professor Snape wouldn’t do that. Not to me. He saved me. He was there when the troll was going to kill me. I don’t believe it.

“That’s not true,” Harry’s voice cracked. “He wouldn’t.”

“I’m sorry, Harry,” Hermione leaned in and whispered to Harry.

Harry didn’t respond. He was quiet for the rest of their study session.

Once homework was finished, the young Gryffindors went their separate ways. Neville headed to the Nursery. He was helping Professor Sprout on her young devil’s snare seedlings. Hermione went to the Library. Because, why not? Why would she need a reason to go? Ron went to find his brothers. The twins promised he could help them out with their next new product. Ron invited Harry to come along, but Harry declined. He had other things on his mind.

Harry not having a destination, wandered the castle. He slowly rotated his wrist to see how much it hurt. It wasn’t as bad as it was the night before. He argued with Madam Pomfrey that he didn’t need to stay in the Infirmary overnight, but she trumped him. Now, he was glad he did.

During his stroll, Harry ended up in front of Snape’s office door.

Harry stood at the door debating if he should knock. The last time he was here he made Professor Snape angry. He didn’t want to do that again. But from what he just learned, Harry needed to know what happened from Snape himself.

Harry fought with himself trying to decide if he should knock or not. But as it turned out, that decision was taken from him.

“Is there some reason you are loitering in front of my office?”

Harry was startled by the voice behind him. When he turned around, he saw Professor Snape with his arms folded across his chest.

“Well,” Severus snapped, “why are you here, Mr. Potter?”

“I, uh, I,” Harry stuttered. “I wanted, no, needed to see you.”

Severus was shocked by that reasoning, but quickly recovered.

“What do you want, Potter?” Severus growled. “I’m very busy.” That was a lie, but the brat didn’t need to know that.

“I need to talk to you,” Harry rushed out.

“What is it?” Severus asked, exasperatedly.

Harry didn’t want to say what he needed to in the open. Biting his lip, Harry said, “It’s private.”

Severus rolled his eyes skyward before stepping closer to the child. Harry almost took a step back but caught himself.

“If you want to come into my office,” Severus said, “I need to get in.”

When Harry still hadn’t taken the hint, Severus harshly said, “Sometime today,” waving his hand indicating that Harry needed to step aside.

Harry moved and waited to go inside. Severus walked behind his desk and sat down. Harry was standing by the door, biting his lip.

Severus sighed; he didn’t want to deal with this right now.

“Potter,” Severus said. “You asked to come in.”

“Sorry, sir,” Harry said. His fingers twisting his robes. “Uh, I wanted to uh…”

“Please, Mr. Potter,” Severus sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Whatever it is, please get it out.”

“Sorry, sir,” Harry sighed.

Come on, Harry, just ask him. Just ask him. Harry walked to the desk.

“Did you curse my broom?” Harry yelled.

The question was so shocking it caught Severus off guard. He was at a loss for words. He looked at the boy standing in front of his desk. A part of him wanted to berate the cretin for the audacity. But looking at the child’s face, he wasn’t being disrespectful.

“Why would you think that?” Severus asked.

“They told me that you were looking at my broom when it was jerking all around and flipped me over.” Harry’s bashfulness went away and now the child was talking non-stop. “And they said you were muttering things. And you have to have eye contact for a spell to work. But that’s not true, is it? It can’t be. You wouldn’t do that.”

“Mister Potter.”

Severus’ voice reverberated off the walls, quieting Harry instantly. After a moment of silence, Severus continued.

“Now,” Severus said, speaking normally. “You are right. I did not curse your broom.”

“I knew it,” Harry said, cutting Severus off, smiling. The oppressive feeling of dread lifted from his chest. “I knew you wouldn’t do something like that. You…”

“Mr. Potter, would you stop interrupting me, and kindly let me finish.”

“Sorry, sir.” Harry’s cheeks heated, but he couldn’t stop smiling, as he sat down on the chair across from Severus’ desk.

“As I was saying,” Severus began again, “I was not the one that cursed your broom. Whoever “they” are were right that I was muttering a spell. And your wrapped wrist is the result of it.”

Harry’s eyes got big as he looked down at his bandaged wrist. Then the memory of hanging from his broom came to mind. The feeling that something gripping his wrist and holding his fingers to the broom.

He saved me. He saved me. This slow mantra kept going over and over in Harry’s mind.

Harry felt his throat tightened as he looked up at the dour potion professor. The same safe feeling he felt with the troll incident was the same feeling he’s feeling now. Without thinking, Harry rushed out of his chair and ran around the desk and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck.

The child rushing to his side and wrapping his arms around Severus’ neck shocked the man. It happened so suddenly that he didn’t have time to react. The boy just wrapped his skinny arms around his neck.

Severus adjusted his chair as Harry was at an awkward angle. He turned the chair slightly giving the boy full access to his person. It was on the tip of his tongue for the boy to release him, but it was what the child was murmuring that kept those scathing words in his mouth.

Sighing, Severus wrapped his arms around the small child and held him.

___000___000___000

It’d been hours since Potter left his office. Severus was currently sitting in his armchair in his chambers. There was a tumbler filled with Firewhiskey that was ignored on the side table. Severus had planned when he came to his office to get things ready for his NEWT class that he had the next day, but when he saw Potter standing at his door, once again that boy changed his plans.

Severus didn’t know how to process what was going on between him and that child. He didn’t know if it was the way the boy adamantly felt that he didn’t curse his broom, or the impromptu hug he received or the whispered words that he heard in his ear.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I knew you saved me. I knew it. You would never hurt me. I know it.

The boy’s appreciation replayed over and over in his mind.

Severus couldn’t deal with this now. There was someone he needed to find. And he couldn’t do it, if he’s having these strange feelings now.

Picking up the forgotten tumbler, Severus drank its contents in one gulp. He allowed the burn feeling to go down his throat, hoping to wash away the last few hours.

___000___000___000

Gringotts is run by goblins, but for the less appealing work, the goblins use elves. The elves were delegated to search and catalogue through parchment scrolls of the witches and wizards who bank at Gringotts. If a Will is filed, or a plot of land is distributed, the elves sort it and divvied up to the proper goblin. There aren’t many elves that work at the bank as the goblins don’t trust many to deal with their inner workings of the bank.

One particular morning, a stack of scrolls appeared at Griphook’s desk. In the stack was a scroll that should have been dealt with nine years ago. Something of a delicate issue that must be dealt with quickly and quietly.

An internal investigation had to be done. The Curse-breakers would have to investigate if there were any charms or curses on the parchment that would be harmful. When cleared from that, the document authenticity would come into question. These procedures take time. The goblins wanted to keep this quiet so not to have any bad press that they mishandled a document that should have been delivered a decade ago. 

___000___000___000

It’d been a few weeks since the Quidditch game. Things had been getting back to a normal routine. Classes. Study groups. Meals. Group gatherings. Christmas break was the main topic with all the students. Well, most of them.

Harry would sit back and listen to his dormmates talk about what they wished for or what their families were going to do during the holidays. Harry wasn’t jealous about it. Actually, he was happy. Hearing all the different events and places that the other boys were going sounded fun. Harry was used to imagining different scenarios when he was locked in his cupboard. Now, it didn’t matter to Harry what happened during the holiday break. Just being at this school, having friends, going to visit his owl, was the best thing in the world.

It was the weekend, three weeks from the Quidditch match. Ron and Harry were walking to the Great Hall for lunch, adamantly talking about different Quidditch teams. Ever since Harry joined the House team, he became more interested with the sport. With Ron’s help, they would have discussions about the different teams. Harry wasn’t that well versed as Ron, but that didn’t stop the boy from having an opinion.

So caught up in their discussion, they turned a corner that led to the stairs, when Harry and Ron collided into Draco and Blaise. Being caught off guard, Harry started a small chain reaction. When he bumped into Blaise, he fell back into Ron. Which pushed him forward to Draco, causing Harry to fall on the floor.

“What’s your problem, Potter?” Draco screamed. “Why don’t you watch where you’re going?”

Harry, picking himself off the floor, was about to respond when Ron spoke first.

“Why didn’t you?” came Ron’s angry reply.

“It’s fine, Ron,” Harry said, pulling on Ron’s sleeve.

“No, it’s not,” Ron ranted.

“Let’s go,” Harry said, walking passed Draco.

Draco grabbed the back of Harry’s robe causing him to lose his balance and fall again this time taking Draco with him.

“You imbecile,” Draco shouted, pulling himself up. “I would say if you were on the Quidditch team then you would know how to keep your balance, but after that spectacle during the game, I’m not so sure.”

Harry looked up at Draco, his brow furrowing. He remembered Draco was the one cursing the other students’ brooms, causing Neville to break his wrist.

“You cursed my broom,” Harry accused, standing up.

“What?” Draco asked. “What are you talking about?”

Ron and Blaise watched the interaction between the small Gryffindor and the Slytherin prince.

“Just like class,” Harry said. “You cursed my broom. Tried to make me fall.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Draco said, turning to walk away.

“You cursed Neville’s broom causing him to break his wrist,” Harry said louder.

Students that were walking past stopped to see what was going on. There were whispers and murmuring going on around the group of boys. Harry didn’t notice the crowd.

“I saw you do it,” Harry continued.

“You don’t know what you saw,” Draco sneered. “Maybe you need to get your glasses checked. Let’s go, Blaise.”

This time it was Harry that stopped Draco from leaving. Harry was furious. He was the reason that his broom bucked. He almost fell. Draco was a prat, but he didn’t think he would be like his cousin.

“Let go of me, Potter,” Draco growled, as he tried to pull his robe free of Harry’s grasp.

Ron saw the group of people crowding around. He didn’t want to see anyone get in trouble, especially himself. He grabbed on to Harry’s arm.

“Come on, Harry,” Ron said softly.

“No!” Harry snatched his arm away from Ron. “He cursed my broom!”

“What is going on here?”

Ron, Draco, and Blaise turned to see Professor McGonagall walking towards them.

“Break it up,” Minerva ordered. “It is getting close to lunch time. I expect to see all of you in the Great Hall. Now, go.”

All the gathering students walked away at the command. Minerva walked over to the group of boys.

“What is going on here?” Minerva asked.

“This cretin won’t let me go,” Draco said.

“Name calling isn’t necessary, Mr. Malfoy,” Minerva admonished. “Now, what is going on?”

“It’s all his fault,” Draco said, trying to get his robe from Harry’s grip. “Potter won’t let me go.”

“Malfoy started it,” Ron cut in.

“That’s enough,” Minerva said, holding up her hands. “Now, Mr. Zabini, what is going on?”

“But--,” Ron cut in.

“I didn’t ask you, Mr. Weasley,” Minerva said, quieting down the red-headed child. “Go on, Mr. Zabini.”

“Potter accused Draco of cursing his broom,” Blaise said. “We didn’t do anything.”

“That’s not true,” Ron yelled. “He started it,” pointing at Malfoy.

“Mr. Weasley, I will not tell you again. You will hold your tongue until I address you.”

Minerva walked over to Harry, who still had a firm grip on Draco’s robes.

Harry wasn’t moving. His brow was pinched together. His lips were in a thin line. He was breathing hard.

“Mr. Potter,” Minerva said, putting her hand over Harry’s. “Release Mr. Malfoy.”

When she tried to untangle Harry’s fingers from the clothes, she was met with strong resistance.

“See, I told you,” Draco whined. “He’s crazy. He won’t let me go.”

“Mr. Potter,” Minerva said, looking at the small Gryffindor. “Let go.” Minerva continued trying to pry Harry’s fingers off Draco’s robes. Seeing that the child won’t let go, Minerva went another tactic.

“Take off your robe, Mr. Malfoy,” Minerva said.

“But, Professor,” Draco objected.

“Obviously, having Mr. Potter physically letting go of your robes isn’t going to happen now. Mr. Malfoy, Mr. Zabini, and Mr. Weasley go to lunch.”

“This is unfair,” Draco grumbled. “My father will hear of this.”

Draco unclipped his robe and shrugged his shoulders out of it. He stomped off in a huff with Blaise following closely behind. Ron stayed.

Minerva sighed, “Ronald,” said softly, “go to lunch. Harry will join you soon. Go on.”

Ron reluctantly turned and headed for the Great Hall.

Minerva’s full attention was on Harry. When she looked down at the child once they were alone, she noticed the tears streaming down his cheeks. His eyes were focused on something in front of him. She cupped her hand on Harry’s cheek in an effort of getting the child to look at her.

Her heart broke looking at the child’s face. Though Harry looked angry, there was hurt behind his eyes.

“Come now, Harry,” Minerva soothed. “Come back. It’s alright. We can talk about it.”

Harry could hear muffled voices. Knowing that the attack on his broom was deliberate was one thing, but learning that it was another student, Malfoy, that caused it, broke his heart. Being at Hogwarts made Harry think he wasn’t a freak, that he had true friends. His mean cousin wasn’t around to bully him. He thought that he could walk around in peace, knowing that even if everyone didn’t like him, he didn’t have to continually watch his back for something. He didn’t want to believe his relatives when they called him a freak. But after this, he knew he was one. He had to be if this kept happening.

Minerva could see that she wasn’t getting through to the child.

___000___000___000

Severus was stepping through the floo into the Headmaster’s chambers.

No peace, Severus grumbled to himself. None whatsoever.

Albus was sitting behind his desk, reading over some parchments.

“Ah, Severus,” Albus said, looking up at his guest. “So glad that you’ve come.”

“Not like I had a choice,” Severus said, none too softly. “What do you want, old man?”

“Now, now,” Albus said, smiling. “I only wanted you to accompany me to the Great Hall.”

Severus rolled his eyes. Of course.

“No, you didn’t,” Severus sneered. “You wanted to make sure that I showed up.”

“You know me so well, my dear boy,” Albus said, his eyes twinkling brightly.

“Hence the reason I know you, old man,” Severus growled.

“Now, Severus,” Albus said, chuckling. “Is that any way to talk to your—”

“Don’t say it,” Severus said, holding up his hand, cutting Albus off. He walked over to the door. “It was a lapse in judgement that it even happened. Let’s go since you feel I have to be chaperoned.”

Severus stormed down the spiral stairs hearing Albus snickering behind him.  Severus thought they had come to an understanding. They wouldn’t bring up his weakest moments in his life and rub it in his face. Leave it to that old coot not to hold up his end of the bargain.

Albus caught up with Severus, putting his hand on the Potions Master’s shoulder. Severus wanted to shake the man’s hand off but knew it wouldn’t work towards his advantage.

Turning down the last corridor to the Great Hall, Albus and Severus stopped when they saw Minerva trying to soothe a child.

“Minerva,” Albus called out.

Minerva turned and saw Albus and Severus walking towards her. The two wizards saw who she was talking to: Harry.

“What happened?” Albus asked, walking faster towards his Transfigurations Professor.

“There was some kind of altercation between him and Mr. Malfoy,” Minerva said.

Severus caught up to them. He looked at the blank look on Potter’s face.

“How long has he been like this?” Albus asked.

“Since I’ve been here,” Minerva said. “These are young Draco’s robes. Harry won’t let them go.”

Without thinking or being prompted, Severus walked over and put his hand over Harry’s small fist. For the first time, Harry moved his head from his Head of House’s hands. He looked down at the potion stained fingers over his. He looked up at his personification of safety and dropped the robe. With the same speed after the troll, Harry had his arms wrapped around Severus’ middle. It caught the adults by surprise. The only sounds in the hall were the broken sobs of the eleven old child.

To be continued...
Chapter 8: Things Change by mandancie
Author's Notes:
I'm am so sorry for the lack of updates. I hope this doesn't happen again. Please enjoy this chapter.

“This can’t keep happening.”


“Maybe if you’ve done what you were supposed to do, there wouldn’t be an issue.”


“Someone is helping the boy.”


“Well, you need to find out who that is.”


Quirrell walked out of his office almost bumping into Minerva.


“Is everything alright, Quirinus?” Minerva asked. “You seem stressed.”


“E...everything fine,” Quirinus stuttered. He turned and walked away.


Minerva watched as the Defense professor walked away from her. There was something going on, but she didn’t know what. 


___000___000___000

Harry was flying above the Quidditch pitch. The wind blowing in his face was wonderful. It was a wonderful contrast to the scorching sun. He dove down, climbed again. Making turns and loops. Harry was having fun. 


His broom started to buck and move by itself. Harry tried holding on for dear life. It felt like someone was trying to push him off. 


Harry gripped the handle as tightly as he could. It seemed like his fingers couldn’t grip as tightly as he wanted. He looked around to see if there was someone who could help.


He was all alone. 


Professor Snape. Professor Snape, please help me. 


That thought continued over and over. A mantra in his head. Dread filled the small child when he flipped over the handle of the broom, like the game. The difference was that he couldn’t grip the handle. He slipped. A scream escaped his throat as he free-fell from the sky. It felt like he was falling forever. He finally landed surprisingly not too hard. When he stood and got himself situated, he noticed a shadow looming over him.


“Look at Scar-head,” Draco sneered. “He thinks he’s so special.”


Draco was standing behind him alone with other students from different houses.


“Why would you think we would be friends?” 


Harry knew that voice. It couldn’t be true. He was my first friend. Harry turned and saw Ron standing on the other side of him, jeering him. 


“You’re a nobody. A freak.”


“I’m not a freak,” Harry whispered to himself. “I’m not a freak.”


The scenery changed. Harry stood in front of his Defense class. Professor Quirrell walked over towards the small child. Harry’s forehead began to hurt. His scar felt as if it was ripping open from the inside out. Harry fell to his knees, his palms to his head trying to alleviate the pain. Lowering his head to the floor, the coolness of the stone floor soothed some of the pain away. 


“Get up, you freak.”


Harry knew that voice. It haunted the entirety of his life. 


“I’m not a freak,” Harry softly said. 


There was a sharp smack to the back of his head. Harry learned a long time ago not to cry out when he was hit. 


“You are a freak,” Vernon bellowed. “Don’t you dare argue with me. You know what you are.”


Harry didn’t raise his head from the floor.


“Say it,” Vernon ordered. 


“I’m nothing but a burden and a freak.” Harry’s voice trembled as he mumbled his words from the floor. “I’m a stupid freak that no one cares for.”


“That’s right,” Vernon barked. “You’re nothing but a burden.”


A huge lump clogged Harry’s throat. No one loved him. No one even liked him. All Harry wanted was to fit in. To have friends. 


___000___000___000

Severus was sitting in Minerva’s office with Harry, once again, laying against his chest. It troubled the Potions Professor why Potter’s spawn always clung himself to his person. Potter was supposed to be an arrogant, spoiled brat. Not this clinging spider monkey in his arms. 


Once again, after Harry stopped crying, the boy refused to let Snape go. To make matters worse, that old coot had the brilliant idea of the boy and me going to Minerva’s office since it was close by.


Now Severus was sitting in one of Minerva’s leather high-back chairs with Potter nestled under his chin. To add salt to an already infectious wound, the two old geezers wouldn’t stop smiling at Severus.


___000___000___000

Bill Weasley worked as a Curse-breaker at Gringotts. He was usually commissioned to look over certain artifacts that were acquired by dubious means. He was just finishing his reports on an eighteenth-century vase that was believed to have been stolen from the History Museum in Egypt. 


A small piece of parchment landed on Bill’s desk with instructions to head to Griphook’s office. Bill finished the last bits of the report and left his small office. 


Bill opened Griphook’s door and was met by the top four Goblin owners of Gringotts. 


“Sirs,” Bill said. “What can I do for you?”


“Come in,” Griphook barked.


Bill was used to the Goblins’ way of handling things. He learned early on not to take offense to how they spoke to him. It was just their nature to be jerks to anyone who was not a Goblin. 


“Your expertise is required,” Griphook continued. “It has come to our attention that a mysterious document has been discovered, and we need to check the authenticity of the contents.”


“Understood,” Bill said swiftly. “Where is this document?”


Griphook waved his hand and a folded parchment encased in a clear dome floated towards Bill.


Bill pulled out his wand and started working several charms and spells. His magic was potent enough that it could penetrate the dome around it. Nothing came back nefarious, but there were some underlying issues that he couldn’t place.


“I see nothing,” Bill announced. “But if I’m to run a thorough analysis, I need to take this with me.”


“Out of the question.”


“Absolutely not.”


“It must stay here.”


The other Goblins yelled their disagreement to Bill taking the parchment away.


Addressing the other Goblins, Bill said, “With all due respect, I won’t know what I’m dealing with until I can do a complete analysis.”


“There isn’t any need to--”


“I need authenticity,” Griphook cut one of the Goblins off. “This missive should have been delivered ten years ago. Once it is proven to be the real thing, next it is finding out why this happened.”


“This should be kept quiet,” the Goblin protested. “Imagine the backlash that would happen if it got out. The scandal.”


Bill kept his mouth shut. He knew there would be a scandal whether they had him look through the document or not. Because one thing he learned from the small scans he did, that message involved Harry Potter.


Bill just stood back and let the Goblins decide what they needed to do.


___000___000___000

Severus didn’t realize that he was humming to himself until he felt Harry beginning to move. 


“‘M burd’n. Freak. N’one lik you.”


Severus sat quietly while the boy slept, but when he started hearing moaning, and not liking what he was hearing he knew he needed to wake the child up.


Rubbing the child’s back, “Potter. Potter.”


Harry started moaning as his squirming became more aggressive. The first thing Harry felt was safe. Like no one could bother him. His hands closed into fists, and he felt the cloth trapped in them.


“Potter, once again you are determined to reveal your impersonation of a spider monkey.”


Harry froze. A small groan escapes his lips when he opens his eyes and sees that he is lying against his Potions Professor’s chest. His face burned with embarrassment as he released his clutches on Severus’ robe and tried to climb off his lap. 


“Calm yourself, Potter,” Severus said, tightening his hold on the child, “before you fall and injure yourself.”


Harry stopped moving and felt Snape’s hands under his arms as he was lifted off of the man’s lap. Harry kept his head lowered, grasping his robe and twisting it between his fingers. 


“I’m sorry, Professor,” Harry meekly said. 


“Would you care to tell me what happened? What has got you so upset?” Severus leaned forward, freeing Harry’s fingers from his robe. “Stop that,” admonishing the action.


Harry looked up at Snape. 


“I’m waiting, Mr. Potter.”


“I don’t know what you mean,” Harry said, taking a step back.


“I believe you do,” Severus countered. “Before you latched your person to me, you were upset. You were holding on to Mr. Malfoy’s robes for some reason.”


Harry’s embarrassment of finding himself cuddled against his Potions Professor vanished when he heard Draco’s name. That old anger bubbled up in his stomach.


“He cursed my broom,” Harry yelled.


“I beg your pardon,” Severus said, sitting back in his chair. 


“He cursed my broom,” Harry said again. “During the Quidditch match. He said it. Just like he did during Flying class.”


“Mr. Malfoy did not curse your broom,” Severus sighed. 


“He did,” Harry yelled. “You’re just covering for him.”


Severus looked at the boy standing in front of him, shocked at what he was hearing. The image of James came to mind as he listened to the audacity of this boy. Spoiled. Arrogant. Just like his father.


“You’re just saying that because he’s in your House!” Harry accused.


“Mister Potter!” Severus’ voice boomed throughout the office. Severus’ face was cold. How dare he yell at him. 


Hearing his name spoken in that manner made Harry’s arguments die in his throat. The look Harry received made him take another step back. 


What was he doing? He didn’t know why he was yelling at the Professor. It wasn’t his fault. Why would he cover for someone when, in fact, Professor Snape was the reason he didn’t fall from his broom. Professor Snape saved him and this is how he would repay him? 


An apology was on Harry’s lips, but Professor Snape spoke first.


“I would suggest you calm yourself, Mr. Potter,” Severus said coolly. “I don’t know to whom you think you’re talking. I am not one of your little friends, but if you speak that way to me again you will be sitting on a sore bottom for the next week. Am. I. Understood?” The last three words were enunciated slowly. 


Harry gulped and replied with a quiet “Yes, Professor.”


“Very well,” Severus said after a beat of silence. “Now, as I said before Mr. Malfoy did not curse your broom during the match,” raising his hand to stop Harry from saying anything, “because whoever did was a lot stronger than a student.”


Any argument Harry had died in his throat. It wasn’t a student. That meant it was an adult. Someone wanted to hurt him. How was he supposed to survive this? He was just a small nobody; he couldn’t go against an adult.


Severus looked at the small child standing before him. All the color faded from his cheeks. The image of James was no longer on the boy’s face. Potter was once again the small child that latched himself on him. He reached out to the child, grabbing his arms in fear that the child would collapse. 


Pale green eyes looked up at him. Pure fear showed on the child’s face. Severus’ heart actually hurt for the child. 


“Save me,” Harry whispered. “I’m just a freak. I’m a nobody.”


“Listen to me, Harry,” Severus said calmly, cutting off Harry’s stream of disparaging words. He didn’t like what he was hearing, but he couldn’t dwell on it now. The boy needed reassurance before he started to panic.


“You are a well-protected child. I along with the Headmaster and your Head of House are searching for whoever cursed your broom. But for your safety, I would implore you to not go looking for unnecessary danger.”


“I don’t--”


“I do recall someone sitting on a ledge in the owlery.”


“But nothing--”


“Also someone decided to forgo the rules and was wandering around the corridors while there was a troll in the school.”


“That’s not my fault,” Harry adamantly said, color rising in his cheeks. “I didn’t know about the troll.”


“You would have,” letting go of Harry and sitting back in the chair, “if you were where you were supposed to be,” Severus said, arching an eyebrow. He silently praised himself for getting the boy out of his depressive state.


Severus stood up and walked towards the door. 


Harry lowered his head. “It seemed wrong.”


Snape turned and looked back at Harry. “I beg your pardon?”


Harry looked up at Snape. “It seemed wrong.”


“You have to be clearer,” Severus sighed. 


“Going to a celebration on the day you find out your parents died the same day.”


Severus’ brow creased. There were several things about the child’s sentence that bothered him. 


“I never even knew what they looked like until Hermione showed me in a book,” Harry continued. 


Severus opened the office door. “Stay out of trouble this time, Potter. And don’t start any more arguments with your classmates.” 


“I didn’t start it.  Malfoy did.” Harry became indignant. That wasn’t fair. He didn’t start it.


“Out, Potter,” Severus growled. 


Harry huffed as he walked out of the office without a backward glance. 


Severus left after Potter, heading to his chambers. He had a lot on his mind to think about. 


___000___000___000

Bill was in his office when Griphook walked into the room. Bill didn’t say anything. He learned early on that goblins felt entitled to go anywhere within the bank. There was no privacy. 


Griphook put the parchment on Bill’s desk. 


“I have been entrusted to handle the welfare of the Potter’s estate. I cannot have things coming back to blemish my stellar reputation. I must know what happened with this document, and once finished, have it sent to where it should have gone ten years ago.”


Griphook turned and left without waiting for Bill’s response, closing the door behind him.


Bill knew Griphook was going against Goblin protocol. The other Goblins were adamant that this document shouldn’t be analyzed. Griphook usually wasn’t this forthcoming with instructions, nor did he grant Bill privacy. 


Bill looked down at the parchment and began his work on breaking whatever curse put on it.


___000___000___000

Harry walked into the Gryffindor Common room and was accosted by Ron, Hermione, and Neville. 


“Harry, what happened?”


“Harry, are you alright? We were worried about you.”


Neville and Ron asked at the same time. 


“Give him a moment,” Hermione said. “Harry, come sit down.”


Hermione took hold of Harry’s arm, and he allowed her to pull him towards the sofa.


“Harry,” Hermione said. “Are you alright?”


Harry nodded but shrugged at the same time.  


“What happened?” Neville asked quietly. “You were missing from lunch. Ron told us what happened with Malfoy.”


“It’s nothing,” Harry said. “I have a lot on my mind,” standing up, “I don’t want to talk about it now.”


Harry walked up the stairs to the dormitories and climbed into his bed, pulling the curtains closed. He told his friends the truth; he had a lot to think about.


TBC


To be continued...
Chapter 9: Relics and Runes by mandancie
Author's Notes:
A/N: Happy New Year! I apologize for my lack of updates. I will try to update on a regular basis. (Hopefully)

ENJOY!

Harry didn’t feel like going to the Great Hall. There was a lot on his mind. The person who cursed his broom was an adult. He was glad that Professor Snape said that he was going to find out who it was, but it didn’t take away that fear that someone wanted to hurt him. 


Harry walked out of the school and decided to walk around the castle. While going down the pathway towards the lake, he saw Hagrid sitting on the front steps to his cabin. A smile graced his lips as he changed directions and made his way towards Hagrid.


“Hey, Hagrid,” Harry said, walking up to the half-giant.


“Hey there, Harry,” Hagrid said.


Barking could be heard coming from inside the cabin. Harry saw that the cabin door was open.


“Hush now, you mangy mutt,” Hagrid howled into the cabin. “You know Harry.”


Harry came down during the first week to talk with Hagrid. Hagrid helped him gather some of his school supplies and bought Hedwig for his birthday. (The best birthday present ever.) 


In that first week, Harry met Fang. Even though the Napoleon Mastiff was almost twice the child’s size and weighed significantly more, Harry loved being with the dog. Harry made it a point of coming to see Fang and Hagrid as much as he could. 


“Hi, Fang,” Harry called out. 


Fang ran out of the cabin, almost knocking the half-giant off the steps, to get to Harry. The dog almost bowled the child over, but because of Harry’s practiced ability to dodge someone bigger than he was, he moved out of the way just in time. He ended up on the dog’s back. Harry played with Fang for a little bit before Hagrid invited Harry inside for tea. 


“So, how’d things going, Harry?” Hagrid asked. “Haven’t talked to you in a while.”


“Yeah, sorry, Hagrid,” Harry said. His head lowered towards the table as he climbed his way on the large chair. It wasn’t noticeable because the table and chair were ten times bigger than a normal chair. 


Harry got himself accustomed to being the smallest of the first years. But here he was dwarfed by the huge furniture. It didn’t change how comfortable he felt being in the cabin. He did feel bad about not visiting more; he made it a point to change that.


“I’ll do better at coming by,” Harry promised. “I’ve been busy with classes.”


Hagrid placed a mug in front of Harry. “No problem,” Hagrid soothed. “So, what have you been up to? Now the youngest Seeker of Hogwarts.”


Even though Harry was worried that someone was trying to hurt him and tried during the Quidditch game, he couldn’t help smiling when Hagrid brought it up.


“It’s been amazing,” Harry said enthusiastically. “Hermione showed me in the trophy room that my dad was on the Quidditch team.”


Hagrid nodded his agreement with Harry’s statement, then another thought came to the giant’s mind. “Oh, yeah!” Hagrid exclaimed, getting up bumping the table. He went to the back of the cottage looking for something.


Harry jumped a little at Hagrid’s outburst. 


“Here it is,” Hagrid said, walking back towards the table. “I found this the other day,” handing Harry a small maroon book, “I wanted to give you this.”


Harry looked through the book and realized it was a photo album. On the first page were two pictures. One was of a group of boys. The other was of a girl and boy. Both pictures seemed to have been taken during their time at Hogwarts as they all had on uniforms.


The picture of the four boys: on the one end was a small plump boy (not as big as Dudley, Harry thought), next to him was a slender boy with sandy hair, but had a scar that occupied one side of his face. Next to him was another slender boy about the same size as the sandy-haired one, but his hair was black with wavy shoulder-length. The boy on the other end made Harry’s heart skip a beat. He’d only seen his dad once before, on Halloween, but seeing another picture made him realize that his father was more than a passing thought. He was real. 


Realizing that the top picture was of his dad and friends, Harry’s attention quickly went to the bottom picture: his mum. This picture had only two people in it, making it easy to know which was his mum. She was beautiful. Tears burned his throat as he looked at the red hair flowing to the side because of the wind. Her green eyes danced with a huge smile on her face. She had her arms linked with the boy standing next to her. Her head was on his shoulder. After a while of staring at his mum’s face, Harry focused on the boy standing next to her. Harry squinted his eyes, getting a closer look at the boy. He looked familiar, but couldn’t place it. 


“Hagrid,” Harry said, his tone soft. “Who is this with my mum?”


Harry slid the album across the table towards Hagrid. 


Looking down, Hagrid quickly answered, “Why that there is Professor Snape. They were best friends growing up.”


Harry slowly brought the book back towards him. The child was completely floored. His safety was his mum’s best friend. Professor Snape knew his mum. There was someone that knew her and could tell him about her. Professor Snape was his mum’s friend. 


The rest of his time with Hagrid went by quickly as Harry stopped talking and stared at the two pictures on the first page. The boy needed to get back to the castle. Absent-mindedly, Harry walked out of Hagrid’s hut promising that he would visit him and Fang more often.


Harry was in a kind of auto-pilot as he walked back towards the castle. He had a lot on his mind and it mostly dealt with the photo album that was snuggled tightly in his arms. 



___000___000___000

Harry walked back towards the castle not knowing how he was feeling. So much had come to light for the child in the span of a few hours: an adult was trying to hurt him, and his safety knew his mum.


Not paying attention to where he was going, Harry bumped into something and fell back on the floor. Pain shot up his back from his bottom hitting the ground. The album tumbled out of his grasp. 


Looking up, Harry saw that he bumped into Professor Quirrell. 


“Sorry, Professor,” Harry mumbled, reaching for his book. It floated away before Harry could get his fingers around the spine of the album. “Hey,” his tone taking on a more harsh tone, “give that back.”


That book had his parents in there. He never had anything on his parents. The one picture he saw on Halloween pales in comparison to the album. 


“Mr. Potter,” Quirrell snarled. “Are we taking books from the school?”


Harry was so focused on getting his book back that he didn’t realize that the Professor’s speech was lacking his usual stutter. Not thinking, Harry rushed his Defense professor in an attempt to reclaim his album, but when he touched Quirrell’s robe, his scar started hurting. It was like someone was stabbing his forehead with thousands of sharp knives. The pain was too much that he fell back on his knees clutching his head. 


“Is there a problem, Harry?” Quirrell asked with a smirk. He was about to kneel next to the boy when he heard someone screaming the child’s name. 


After Harry left, Hagrid began cleaning up the cups they had their tea and noticed that the child forgot his robes. Hagrid knew it was starting to get cold, and he didn’t want Harry to make the trek back to his cabin in the cold without his robes, so he headed towards the school.


When Hagrid got close to the castle doors, he saw poor Harry curled up in a tiny ball, clutching his head. 


“HARRY!” Hagrid roared as he rushed to the child’s side. 


“Ah, H-hagrid,” Quirrell stuttered. “I f-f-found P-p-p-otter like th-th-this.”


Hagrid looked at the professor and saw that he was holding Harry’s album.


“Thanks, Professor,” Hagrid said, picking up the small child, cradling him in his arms. Memories flooded the half-giant’s mind of carrying Harry on Sirius’ motorbike all those years ago. Reaching his hand out, Hagrid said, “I’ll take his book, Professor.”


With a slight reluctance, Quirrell handed the album over. The Defense professor watched as Hagrid carried Harry into the castle. 


___000___000___000

Harry was in so much pain he didn’t realize that he had been picked up and was being carried. The small breeze didn’t register to the child that he was moving and moving fast. 


Hagrid wasted no time as he rushed towards the Infirmary. The whining moans coming from the child slowly broke the giant’s heart as there was nothing he could do to relieve the child’s pain. 


Poppy was checking on her supplies when the doors to the Infirmary crashed open. She got ready to berate whoever came through the door like that, but the reprimand died on her tongue as she saw Hagrid carrying a child. 


“Over here, Hagrid,” Poppy said quickly, rushing over to the closest bed to the entrance. She rushed over her wand already in her hand casting a diagnosis charm.


Seeing the hurting child was Harry, Poppy noticed that the child instantly curled into a fetal position clutching his head. 


“What happened?” Poppy asked as she waited to see what was wrong with Harry. 


“I don’t know,” Hagrid replied. “He came over to my hut today. When he left he was just fine. When I saw him again it was at the front of the castle and he was curled up on the ground.”


The diagnosis scan returned that there was nothing physically wrong with Harry. She didn’t understand it because it was obvious that Harry was in pain. The matron tried to give Harry a calming drought, trying to hope it would ease the pain, but the child was so tense with pain that he couldn’t fully be aware of what was going on around him. She knew she needed help. Rushing to her office she threw a pinch of floo powder in the hearth and called Severus’ name. 


A few minutes later, the Professor dressed in all black rushed into the Infirmary. His robes billowed in his wake.


“Poppy,” Severus called out, rushing towards the bed.


“Over here, Severus,” Poppy said. “I’m at a loss. The diagnostic showed that there was nothing physically wrong, but you can see how distressed the child is. I couldn’t even give him a potion to try and soothe his pain.”


Severus could hear the panic in the matron’s voice. And hearing the cries coming from Potter, it was becoming disconcerting. Severus saw the child gripping his head, so he carefully pried the child’s hands away. 


Harry’s scar was inflamed. Traces of dried blood were on the skin around the infamous wound. He was about to reach for a soothing cream he always carried on his person, but he could smell a faint aroma of sandalwood that was used in the potion.


Poppy predicted what Severus was about to do and quickly said, “I tried to put some balm on his forehead, and that didn’t work.”


Severus, like Poppy, was at a loss as to how to soothe Harry. 


___000___000___000

Within the midst of his excruciating pain, Harry realized that he was in someone’s arms. In the back of his mind, being in this person’s arms felt familiar but knew this wasn’t the one Harry felt truly safe. 


Everything sounded muffled through the earthquake happening in the child’s head. The pain was so much that Harry wished it would all end. Never had he hurt like this. His beatings from Uncle Vernon didn’t hurt this much. Having rocks and bottles from Dudley and his friends didn’t hurt that bad. And there had been plenty of times Harry narrowly escaped without broken bones. Uncle Vernon would punish him until he couldn’t sit or walk straight for a week; rarely did Harry come back to the house without blood spilling from a cut or gash that he received from Dudley and his friends. 


Harry would gladly trade it and suffer through the beatings just to stop the excruciating pain behind his eyes. 


Harry didn’t know how much time passed when he felt the bed dip. Someone sat next to him. He felt cool fingertips slide alongside the scar on his forehead. Surprisingly, the pain started to ebb a little. Harry wanted more of that touch. The sweet relief from his head feeling like it was going to explode off his body brought tears to his eyes.


Squinting his eyes, Harry saw the blurry figure of his safety. Withstanding all the pain, Harry crawled onto Severus’ lap. He wrapped his arms around the Potion Master’s neck while burying his face in the hollow crook of the man’s neck. He draped himself on Severus’ chest with his knees squeezing the man’s sides.    


___000___000___000

Bill walked into the Ministry of Magic. He never got tired of going there. The atrium was magnificent. He could do without an oversize draper of Minister Fudge, but it can’t be all perfect. 


The vestibule wasn’t as crowded as it normally was. It wouldn’t take long for Bill to reach his destination. Taking the elevator, Bill went to the Hall of Records. There were ancient runes he found around the base of the scroll. He wanted to familiarize himself with them before he started working on them. One thing he learned being a curse breaker, you didn’t just assume runes were harmless. Helping to take care of Fred and George, Bill was quite aware of the damage of small insignificant things the twins could produce. There was still a small section of floor that was permanently damaged in his room at the Burrow courtesy of his twin brothers. 


Bill found what he was looking for; the origins of the runes. But it raised more questions. Luckily, it wouldn’t be difficult to get some answers. The origin came from family. 


Walking out of the Hall of Records, Bill decided to see if his dad was still in his office. It didn’t take long. Arthur’s door was slightly ajar. Senior Weasley was fiddling with random muggle objects trying to figure out their use. 


Bill knocked on the door, getting Arthur’s attention. 


“Billy,” Arthur called out, smiling. He stood up and walked over to his oldest son.


“Hey Dad,” Bill said, smiling at the nickname he’s been called since he was small. Not that he minded. 


The two Weasleys embraced.


“What brings you here?” Arthur asked, walking back to his desk. 


“Searching for answers,” Bill answered. “Something for work, you know I can’t divulge.”


“I’m not asking,” Arthur said, raising his hands in a placating gesture. Arthur knew how secretive the Goblins could be. 


“Well, this time,” Bill began, “I’m going to need some information from you.”


Shocked by this turn of events, Arthur gave his son his full attention. Arthur was proud of all his children. Yes, even the twins. He would support them the best way he could. Bill would never come and seek advice or get his opinion about his job. So, if he was coming now, it had to be important. 


“How can I help?” Arthur asked. 


“There is a mysterious charm that I’m researching for an assignment,” Bill started. “I just learned that one of Mum’s brothers was the one that created these particular runes.”


“Huh, really?” Arthur sighed. 


Bill was confused about his dad’s response.


“Don’t get me wrong,” Arthur amended. “Your uncles were exceptional wizards. And hearing that one of them created runes that stumped Goblins-I’m assuming they asked you,” Bill nod confirms his dad’s assumption. “They were..well let’s just say Fred and George and your twin uncles are very much alike.” 


Bill nodded as to the meaning of his father’s statement. Fred and George were prodigies; if only they worked their magic for good (or more safely). Bill loved his twin brothers, but he and Charlie had a wager on what would kill them first: their products or mum. 


“Your mum could probably help you,” Arthur suggested. “And even if she can’t, it would be nice to have you home for the evening.”


“Sounds great.”


“Let me clear this up, and we can go,” Arthur said. 


___000___000___000

This was becoming a regular occurrence. 


Severus sighed. 


Once again, Severus is sitting in an overstuffed armchair with Harry attached to him.


He, along with Poppy and Hagrid, was shocked when Harry crawled onto his lap. There was no mumbling of words, no tears, no mewling from pain, nothing. Just quiet.


The way Harry was lying on Severus’ shoulder, Poppy was able to get a closer look at the boy’s scar. Surprisingly, the swelling and irritation were going down. 


Being bullied by the matron, he was once again being a human-size pillow for the brat who won’t go away. 


Severus sighed again.


Honestly, Severus couldn’t say that the child’s presence was awful or annoying. The look of appreciation the child gave him when he came near made up for anything else. The boy didn’t let the rumors of his reputation of how he acted towards the students deter him. 


The only good thing about having this child, once again, velcroed to his chest was that neither Albus nor Minerva was-


“Severus, my boy.”


Severus let his head fall back causing a muted thump against the back of the chair, closing his eyes. 


“Why is it that either you or Minerva always show up when I have the human spider monkey attached to me?”


“Now, now, Severus,” Albus said, sitting on the cot next to Severus’ chair. “I just learned about what happened to poor Harry here. I didn’t expect the child to be cuddling-”


“I am not cuddling the boy,” Severus said, stopping Albus from trying to start something he didn’t want to finish.


“It had to be scary for the child,” Albus continued, not caring that Severus tried to cut him off, “to be in pain like that and there was no way to ease it.”


Severus’ irritation lowered, thinking about the pain Harry was in. He may not care for the child, but the cries were heartbreaking.


“Whatever the problem was,” Severus said. “It was with his scar. I know this is uncharted territory, but I’ve never seen a scar to cause this many problems on its own.”


“True,” Albus agreed. “But remember the scar on our dear Mr. Potter isn’t an ordinary scar. I will do some digging to see the reasons why this happened. And hope to ensure that it doesn’t happen again.”


Severus nodded in agreement.


“But if it does,” Albus said, standing. “We know that you will soothe the child’s aches and pains.”


Severus’ eyes were like steel wanting to crush Dumbledore where he stood. A small growl escaped his throat. 


“Now, now, my boy,” Albus said, smiling. “There is no need for a temper tantrum.”


“Get out,” Severus growled. 


“Severus.”


“I mean it old man,” Severus snarled. 


“Is that any way to treat your dad?” Albus asked. His eyes twinkled as he smiled, looking over his half-moon glasses.


“I told you not to bring that up,” Severus said stubbornly, pointing a potion-stained finger at Albus. “It was a lapse of judgment on my part that it even happened.”


Albus left the Infirmary laughing at his adopted son.


“Insufferable old coot,” Severus muttered, bringing his hand to cradle Harry’s head while letting his fingers soothingly rub the child’s scalp.


___000___000___000

Quirrell paced back and forth in his chambers, muttering to himself. 


“There has to be a way. This is unacceptable.”


“I’m very disappointed,” said a strained voice.

“F-forgive me, Master,” Quirrell whimpered. “I-I am tr-trying.”


“NOT HARD ENOUGH!” cough, cough, wheezing breath


“Please, Master, you must stay calm,” Quirrell pleaded. “I can’t raise suspicion. The oaf of a groundskeeper almost caught me, but he hasn’t noticed the creatures yet. And we must—”


“Do not dictate orders to me,” the voice wheezed. “I may not be whole, but you will show your respect.”


“Yes, Master.”


“Now, I want you to get Potter.”


“But there are always people around to save him,” Quirrell complained. 


“Get. Me. Potter.” 


TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 10: Change in the Tide by mandancie
Author's Notes:
Enjoy!

“Molly,” Arthur called out. “You’ll never guess who I brought home for dinner.”


Molly walked into the entry room next to the kitchen. “Who? It better not be someone from work.”


“Well, I met him at work,” Arthur said, smirking. 


“Hey, mum.”


“Bill!” Molly exclaimed as she rushed to her oldest, wrapping her arms around his neck. “Sweetie, what are you doing here? No, have you eaten?”


“I needed to ask you about Fabian and Gideon,” Bill said. 


“Not something I expected you to ask about,” Molly said.


“I know, mum.” Bill sat down at the table. “I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t important. It’s for work and I found some ancient runes that I think Uncle Fabian created.”


Molly couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Her brothers were powerful wizards. She saw them in her twin sons every day. But to hear that her brother created something that would stump the Goblins at Gringotts was surprising. 


“Let’s eat first,” Molly said. “I would have to look through their things. You don’t mind waiting, do you?” 


“Any excuse to stay home and have a home-cooked meal-”


“Now, son,” Arthur started, but Molly’s voice rose over his.


“How dare you? You don’t ever need a reason to come home.”


“But mum-” Bill began, shocked at how angry his mom sounded. Bill was about to open his mouth again when his mum gripped his shoulders and turned him towards the back part of the house.


“Not another word,” Molly fussed. “Go get cleaned up, so we can have dinner.”


Molly watched her oldest son head towards the bathroom and went into the kitchen and started getting the food on the plates. 


Bill walked in freshly cleaned and sat down at the table adjacent to his dad.


Molly brought over two plates, setting them down in front of her men. Before she left to get her plate she came up behind Bill and wrapped her arms around him from behind.


“I don’t ever want you to think you need a reason to come home,” Molly whispered in Bill’s ear. 


“I know, mum,” Bill replied, leaning back into his mother’s warmth. He loved being on his own, but deep down he missed being with his parents as well. 


___000___000___000

The pain was the worst he’s ever felt. When the pain started to ease, Harry was able to open his eyes and see that once again his ‘safety’ was there. And when he crawled into his arms; the pain completely vanished. 


Once again, Severus was sitting in a transfigured chair with Harry in his arms. He figured he might as well make the chair a permanent fixture in the wing for as many times he’s had to use it. And the term wasn’t even over yet. Severus shook his head at that thought. 


He indulged the child long enough. It’d been thirty minutes since Albus left. He figured it was long enough for the child to have calmed down enough so they could talk.


As if the child knew what was going to happen, Harry’s body tensed in Snape’s arms.


“Mr. Potter,” Severus said. “We must talk.”


A small whine came from the child, and Severus had to school himself from chuckling at the boy. 


“Mr. Potter, I know you are awake,” Severus said softly. “Sit back so we can talk.”


Severus felt the boy shaking his head against his shoulder.


“Now, Potter,” Severus' voice had a hint of sternness. “I will not have this conversation looking down at your back. I need some questions answered, and I would like the respect of you looking at me and not hiding.”


Severus felt a shiver rack Harry’s small frame. He couldn’t help to soothe the child. “All will be alright.”


A small almost inaudible whine came from Harry when he released the grip he had on Severus’ robes. Slowly he sat back on Severus’ lap. Part of him wished Snape wouldn't make him stand up. 


When Harry felt his Professor’s hands go under his arms, the child lurched forward colliding into Severus’ chest causing the man to grunt in pain from the force of contact.


“Mr. Potter,” Severus chided. “This is totally unnecessary.”


“Don’t want to hurt,” Harry mumbled against Severus’ robes.


“You can’t stay attached to me forever,” Severus said. When he felt a small nod against his shoulder, a small snort escaped his lips even if he didn’t want to laugh. Insolent child.


“Mr. Potter.” Severus decided to use another tactic. “If you don’t want to be scrubbing cauldrons for the foreseeable future, you will release me so that we can talk.”


Another whine came from Harry, but he did sit back and climb off Severus’ lap. 


“‘M sorry, sir,” Harry mumbled. His head lowered, staring at Professor Snape’s shoes.


“My eyes are up here,” Severus said, though not harshly.


When Harry lifted his head, Severus handed the child his glasses.


“Mr. Potter, I know that what you experienced was frightening,” Severus started out. “I’m sure you have questions as to what is happening.”


Harry wanted to nod but was scared that his head would hurt again. “Yes, sir.” His voice was a whisper. 


“Can you tell how it started? Where were you?” Severus asked.


Harry started biting his lip while twisting his fingers in his sweater vest.


Severus let out a small sigh as he leaned forward to free the child’s fingers from the fabric, then carefully pulled his lip free from between the boy’s teeth. 


Without thinking, Severus put his hands under Harry’s arms and lifted him so Harry was sitting on his knee.


The movement shocked Harry but didn’t feel strange. Almost like it was normal. He wanted to lean against his Professor’s chest but stayed upright.


“This is a nasty habit you have, Potter,” Severus admonished lightly as he, once again, checked the child’s bitten lip. “You are going to severely damage your lip.”


“Sorry, sir,” Harry said when Snape released his lip.

 

Severus harrumphed in acknowledgment. “Now answer my question.”


“I was coming back from Hagrid’s,” Harry started, then panicked when he realized he didn’t see his photo album. “Where is it?” He started searching around the area of the cot, almost falling off Severus’ lap. 


“What on earth are you doing, Potter?” Absent-mindedly, he wrapped his arm around Harry’s waist, so the child didn’t fall. Deep down he knew he should put the boy down on the floor so he would be standing on his own two feet, but for some strange reason, he couldn’t make himself act on it.


“My album,” Harry cried. “It has my parents in it.”


“Mr. Potter, please calm yourself,” Severus said, shaking his arm to get the boy’s attention. “I have it. Hagrid gave it to me when he left the Infirmary.”


Severus pulled the photo album from inside his robes and handed it to Harry. “Now you were saying.”


With the album now clutched in his arms, Harry leaned against Severus with his head on Snape’s shoulder. “I was coming back from Hagrid’s. I played with Fang and had tea with Hagrid.”


“What else?”


Severus, once again, was about to remove the child from his lap, but Harry was calm and talking, so he decided to let it go. He didn’t want to admit that it just felt nice having the child leaning on him. He never thought it would be possible.  


“When I was coming back, I wanted to find you,” Harry said, absently picking at one of the damaged edges on the album.


“Really?” It still astounded Severus that the boy seemed to always want to seek him out. 


Harry nodded and continued. “I ran into Professor Quirrel. He said that I stole this book from the Library. But I didn’t.” Harry pushed against Severus’ chest so he could sit up and could see the man properly. “I promise. It has pictures of my parents. Hagrid did give it to me.”


Severus remembered how Harry reacted when he, himself, told him about taking books from the library. And how Harry reacted towards him then. Harry was just as adamant as he was then.


“I believe you, Potter,” Severus said, raising his hand to stop Harry’s litany of excuses. “What happened next?”


“He took my book and that’s when my head started hurting. I don’t remember anything after that. Well, not until you came.”


“Did Quirrel touch you?” Severus asked.


“No, sir,” Harry said. “He just took my book from me. When I tried to get it back, my head started hurting.”


Severus thought for a moment and then turned his attention back to the too-small child that seemed to get under his skin.


“It is past dinner, so it seems that you’ve missed two meals,” Severus admonished. This time successfully removed Harry from his lap.


“Sorry, sir,” Harry said quietly.


“I will have food brought up,” Severus said, getting up from the transfigured chair. “You will eat and then head to Gryffindor Tower. No detours.”


“I’m not hungry, sir,” Harry said, following Severus as he walked towards the fireplace to call down to the kitchens.


“You will-” Severus started, but bumped into the child. “Goodness sake, Potter, must you be underfoot? Go sit down on the cot.” Severus’ tone wasn’t harsh.


Harry looked over to where the cot was in regards to the fireplace, and he felt it was too far to be away from his safety. What if the pain came back?


“Please, Professor,” Harry begged.


Severus, not liking how Harry was sounding, knelt in front of the child.


“What’s wrong?” Severus asked. “You will be fine waiting for your food.”


“What if the pain comes back?” Harry whispered, reaching out to get a handful of Severus’ robes. “I’m safe with you. You’re my safety.”


“Mr. Potter,” Severus said. “Does your scar hurt now?”


“No, but it’s because I’m with you,” Harry declared. “I don’t want to be alone. Please, Professor.”


Severus saw tears welling up in the child’s emerald green eyes. He was at a total loss on what to do. The child needed to eat. He had several things that he needed to look into; one of them was finding out what a certain Defense teacher had to do with what happened.


Severus looked down and noticed once again even though Harry was clutching his album, his robe was being twisted in the child’s fingers.


Freeing his robe from small fingers and standing up, he turned Harry towards the row of cots and gave him a light smack on his bum. 


“Go sit down,” Severus whispered in the child’s ear. “You can still see me from the bed.”


Figuring he had no choice, Harry sighed, and with sagging shoulders, he walked over to the cot. Tears streamed down his face. He didn’t know why he was crying. The smack didn’t even hurt. His Professor’s right. He can still see him from the cot. 


A small voice in the back of his head blared, It’s not the same. That thought brought more tears. Harry clutched the album to his chest and lowered his head as he silently cried.


The next thing Harry felt was his album taken from his grip and hands under his arms. Before he could even voice about his album, he was being lifted and wrapped in safety.


Severus removed Harry’s glasses and let the child lean on him. “Sweet Merlin, Potter. There is no need for all these tears.” Severus conjured a warm flannel to wipe the child’s face.


It broke his heart, more than he cared to admit, watching this child looking so despondent. 


___000___000___000

As Minerva walked through the corridors, the last thing she expected was to get a floo call from Severus that he needed to speak to her. He was very cryptic about the reasoning, but she could tell by his voice it was urgent. 


She arrived at the Infirmary within minutes from Severus’ call. To say she was shocked at what she was witnessing would be an understatement. 


Severus was sitting in an overstuffed high-back chair with Harry curled on his lap. Her first thought was to tease him about the fact that he was cuddling the child, but seeing the distressing look on the Potions Master’s face, she held the teasing back. 


“Severus,” Minerva quietly called out.


“He’s not asleep,” Severus said, then softer, “Calm down, child.”


Minerva sat on the cot next to Severus, but on the side where she could look at Harry’s face. It was blotching and tear-stained as he had just been crying.


“What happened?” Minerva asked.


“Have you talked with Albus?” Severus countered.


“No,” Minerva shook her head. “I had detention that I had to oversee. When you called, I had just arrived maybe a half-hour before. Do you want Albus to come down here?”


Harry turned his head as if he was trying to hide in Severus’ chest. 


Severus soothed the child by rubbing his hand up and down Harry’s back. 


Minerva didn’t wait for a response. She sent out her Patronus. Whatever happened, as distressed as Harry is, she didn’t want to put Harry into a repeat recount of what happened.


The fireplace came to life with green flames. Albus walked out of the hearth and headed towards his adopted son and close friend. 


The next hour was spent recapping what Severus learned from Harry. Harry didn’t make a sound. He had his head and hand against Severus’ chest. Hearing and feeling the Potions Master’s heartbeat was calming for the child. The steady, strong beats lulled the child to sleep.


“He is afraid to be away from me.” Severus sounded stressed. “I tried calling the kitchen for a small meal, and I almost tripped over him. He was underfoot.”


“Well, Severus,” Albus said calmly, “you have to see it from Harry’s viewpoint. The poor boy is afraid. And I can’t blame him. Having his scar hurting and nothing could be done to soothe it away outside of being with you. Wouldn’t you want to stay where you didn’t hurt?” Albus paused a beat and then continued. “Come to think about it, you did.”


“We are not talking about me, Albus,” Severus sneered. Though it couldn’t come off as harsh with him cradling Potter in his arms.


“But I believe we are,” Minerva piped in. “What are you really worried about?”  


Severus didn’t like where this conversation was going. He didn’t want to delve into his feelings about this child. He wasn’t supposed to have any. He was supposed to be the evil teacher that the students ran from. Blasted Potter. He should have figured this boy would be trouble. Now Severus was at war with himself. He knew the best thing to do for himself was to push the boy off of him and destroy whatever feelings he had for him. But it was like his body wouldn’t do what his brain knew what it was supposed to do.


“This cannot continue, Albus,” Severus said after a moment of silence.


“I don’t think you should stop this,” Albus forewarned. “Harry needs this.”


“I don’t.” Severus countered. Looking over at Minerva, “Take him to his dorm. He’s asleep.”


“Severus, don’t shut him out,” Minerva pleaded. “He obviously needs you.”


“I don’t,” Severus said, standing up and transferring the sleeping child into Minerva’s arms. “This is his,” placing the small album next to her. “He’s better off away from me,” Severus said before walking out of the Infirmary.


Albus and Minerva watched as the bull-headed Potions Professor stubbornly walked out the double doors.


___000___000___000

Molly searched in her closet for her twin brothers’ shrunken trunks. It had been a long time since she’d gone through them. Losing her brothers like she did hurt her more than she let everyone believe. 


She believed that Arthur had an idea, but never pushed her to talk about it. And this and other small things made her love her husband so much. 


It really wasn’t a hard or long search. They were in the same spot where she put them those years so long ago. Wanting to be strong for her son, she grabbed the two trunks and was about to take them to the living room where Arthur and Bill were waiting. She was shocked when she turned and was engulfed in strong arms. The silent tears began to flow.


Arthur knew how hard it was going to be for Molly to get her brothers’ trunks. He knew how close she was to her brothers. He also knew how she tried to hold in her grief after they died. When Molly left for their room, he didn’t wait a moment after she left to follow her. He didn’t want to disturb her, but be there when she was ready.


When she turned around and he saw the tears in her beautiful eyes, he didn’t waste any time wrapping his arms around her.


“It’s alright, sweetie,” Arthur soothed in his wife’s ear. “Let it out. You’ve been holding this in for far too long.” 


TBC


To be continued...
Chapter 11: Stubborn Wrenches by mandancie

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.


A special thanks to The Lonely God With a Box for beta’ing my story.


Enjoy!


Chapter 11: Stubborn Wrenches


Harry walked out onto the Quidditch field. It always excited him to be on the field. He loved being involved in a sport that others asked him to join. He definitely loved being in the air. The breeze flowing through his wild mane of hair made him feel free. 


Today, Harry wasn’t feeling it. Harry didn’t want to fly. He didn’t feel like practicing with the team. He had been feeling down since he woke up that morning and realized that he wasn’t with his Professor.


Even though Harry didn’t want to be at practice, he was determined to still do his best. He didn’t want to lose his position on the team. 


“Heya, Harry,” Fred said, wrapping his arm around the small boy’s shoulder. 


“Ready to catch the snitch?” George continued, standing on Harry’s other side. 


“George,” Fred chimed. “It looks like our Harry doesn’t seem excited.”


“Well, we are going to have to do something about that,” George said.


“I’m okay,” Harry said. 


“Sure you are,” George said, smirking. “Let’s see.” George wrapped his arm around Harry, pulling him to his side. 


Harry couldn’t help smiling at the twins’ antics. He’d grown to like the Weasley twins. They could make him smile all the time. 


The three Gryffindors walked on the field and caught up with the others of the team who were already there. Oliver talked about strategy and what he wanted to work on. Once finished, everybody went into the air. 


The practice was going well. Harry stayed above the rest of the team, watching them practice their scoring. During practice, Fred and George would play as the opposing team, using the bludger to go against their teammates. The practice bludgers were charmed to bounce off the team members to not injure them. 


Fred and George were teasing everyone who they were aiming at. The jeers were to help keep the chasers focused on the game instead of outside interference. 


The snitch made itself visible to Harry, and he took off after it. Like any other time, Harry would lose himself in his pursuit. His eyes were only for the snitch. 


Fred and George didn’t discriminate about who they went after during practice. George saw that Harry was only focusing on the snitch, so he hollered out.


“Keep your focus,” he yelled, hitting the bludger towards the boy. 


Harry heard one of the twins, but he was still trying to catch the snitch. He was making a dive and swerving at the same time when everything went dark.


The twins watched as the bludger descended on Harry. They saw that Harry noticed the bludger and swerved to get out of its way. 


What happened next scared everyone. The bludger made contact with a sickening crack when it hit its mark. Harry fell off his broom. Fred and George dropped their bats and took off towards Harry. Oliver was just behind them. 


Fred, being closer, caught Harry and slowly lowered him to the ground.


The entire team was on the ground surrounding Fred and Harry. Questions firing off one at a time.


“What happened?”


“I don’t know.”


“We need to get him to Madam Pomfrey.”


Fred and George put an arm under Harry’s legs and wrapped their arms behind the boy’s back. They took off running. The team followed. 


A person came out from behind the stands and watched as the Gryffindor team raced towards the castle.


___000___000___000

Severus was slicing gillyweed when the door to his lab opened. 


“Get out,” Severus said without stopping what he was doing. 


“We need to talk.”


“I want to be alone, Albus.” Severus put the knife down and faced the wizened wizard standing inside the door.


“We don’t always get what we want,” Albus said, walking over towards Severus.


Severus sighed and went back to slicing. Severus didn’t want to talk. He didn’t want company. He wanted peace.


“Why are you here?” Severus said, trying to keep the sneer out of his tone.  


“You know why I’m here,” Albus said, transfiguring an empty beaker into a chair, so he could sit down.


“I do not want to talk about what happened,” Severus said. “I want to be left alone.”


Albus waved his hand, causing everything on Severus’ workbench to vanish. 


“Look, you old coot-,” Severus raged, facing Albus.


“Ah, I’ve gotten your attention,” Albus said, cutting Severus’ rant. “Like I was saying, we need to talk about this new development between you and young Harry.” 


“There is nothing to talk about,” Severus growled. 


“I believe there is,” Albus said. “Harry needs you now.”


“No, he doesn’t.”


“You must see reason, Severus,” Albus said. “You are the only one-”


“Severus, Severus.” A feminine voice trailed from the sitting room of Severus’ chambers.


Albus and Severus looked towards the door. They walked out of the laboratory to see Poppy’s head in the fire. 


“Poppy, dear,” Albus said. 


“Oh, Albus, you’re there too,” Poppy said, relieved. 


“What’s going on?” Severus asked. 


“I need a stronger dose of Skel-e-gro,” Poppy said. “There’s been an accident on the Quidditch pitch.”


Severus knew the Gryffindors were scheduled to practice on the pitch today. His stomach dropped hearing that there was an accident. He told himself he wasn’t going to worry about who was hurt. It wasn’t his business. He was the Slytherin Head of House. Not Gryffindor’s. Minerva could handle whatever happened.


“I’ll be there in a moment, Poppy,” Severus said, turning back to his lab.


“Let me though, my dear,” Albus said, walking towards the fireplace. 


___000___000___000

Severus stepped through the floo to utter chaos. Poppy was bustling around a student on the cot. One of the Weasley twins was talking with Albus. While the other was standing on the side of one of the cots surrounded by the other Gryffindor teammates.


Poppy was rushing out of the cupboard where the potions were stored when she saw Severus standing by one of the cots that were closer to the floo. 


“Oh, Severus,” Poppy gasped, “come quickly. There’s not enough time.”


Severus followed Poppy towards the cot and stopped at the edge of the bed when he saw Harry lying there unconscious. 


“What happened?” Severus asked without thinking. His wanting to stay away from the child and not worry about him was disregarded when he saw the small child on the bed.


“It was an accident,” Fred said. “It wasn’t supposed to happen.”


“What wasn’t supposed to happen?” Severus growled.


Poppy relinquished the phial from Severus’ hand while he continued questioning the children around the bed. 


“We were practicing-” Oliver started.


“I know that,” Severus cut the boy off. 


“We were using the practice bludger,” Fred continued. “It wasn’t supposed to hit that hard. It didn’t hit Angelica like that when I hit her.”


Severus looked over at the darker-skinned girl and saw her nod in agreement. 


“I got hit too,” Oliver piped in.


“George hit the bludger,” Fred started again, “and we called out when we did aim it at someone. Harry heard us.”


Severus looked down at the small child lying on the bed. 


“Where is the bludger now?” Albus asked. He and George joined the others surrounding Harry’s cot.


“We left everything on the pitch,” Oliver said. “After Fred caught Harry from falling, we all landed and rushed here.”


Minerva rushed into the Infirmary. Katie came in behind her. 


“Where is Harry? What happened?” Minerva asked as she walked closer to the group surrounding Harry’s cot.


Albus raised his hands to calm Minerva. “It seems there was an accident on the Quidditch pitch. Our poor Harry was injured.”


“How could this have happened?” Minerva asked moving to Poppy’s side. 


“Rogue bludger,” Albus said. “I think we need to look at this bludger. Wouldn’t you agree, Severus?”


Severus, not realizing that he had been staring at Harry, was lost in thought until he heard his name.


“Yes,” Severus said.


Albus and Severus walked out of the Infirmary.


___000___000___000

The Quidditch pitch was littered with brooms scattered around. The Quaffle was under one of the gold posts. The bludger bats were next to the scattering of brooms. Apparently, this is where the children landed before taking Potter to the castle.


The Snitch was still flying around. Albus waved his hand and the Snitch flew to him softly landing in his hand. He put it in his pocket.


Something caught Severus’ eyes while Albus was pocketing the snitch. Harry’s broom was still floating in the air. Pulling out his wand, Severus lowered the broom towards him. Running his hand over the handle, he could feel the residual of a magical signature. Almost like he felt during the last Quidditch match. Placing the broom on the ground, Severus walked over to where the cursed bludger was. Again, there was the same feeling of some residual magic on the item.


The practice bludgers, though looked the same, were a soft foam but were made to appear and execute like a real bludger. Albus walked over towards Severus. 


“What of the bludger?”


“It’s the practice bludger,” Severus said, handing the ball to Albus. “Why it would cause damage is the mystery. You made these so the students could fully practice without fear of being hurt.”


“That was the idea,” Albus sighed. “But it seems that isn’t the case now. We need to find out what happened.”


“I have some theories, but I want to be sure before I voice them,” Severus said. 


“Let’s head back and check on young Harry,” Albus said. 


“You go,” Severus answered, somewhat distracted.


“Severus, you cannot isolate yourself from that child. As you can see he needs you.”


“You are wasting your time, Albus,” Severus said through gritted teeth. “I am not what that boy needs.”


Severus turned and walked off the field, leaving Albus behind. There was something that troubled Severus. He needed a clear mind to be able to identify who was causing these problems.


___000___000___000

Albus walked into the Infirmary. It was quieter since the last time he was there. Only Minerva and Poppy were there looking over Harry. All the other children were gone. 


Minerva saw Albus coming toward them and said, “I sent everyone to the Great Hall for lunch. The twins are really upset. They blame themselves.”


“It was an accident,” Albus said. “The twins did nothing wrong.”


“I told them that,” Minerva sighed. “They still felt guilty.”


“They’ll be alright,” Albus concluded. “Soon they will be back terrorizing Peeves or pranking the elves.”


Albus sat on the end of Harry’s bed, “How is Harry doing, Poppy?”


“I got him as comfortable as possible,” Poppy said. “The Skel-e-gro did its job. It sealed the crack in his skull. I also gave him some Dreamless sleep. He should sleep the night.”


Albus nodded and went to Minerva. 


“Poppy,” Albus started. “I will leave Harry in your most capable hands. Minerva,” he held out his arm, “would you come with me? There are some things that need to be discussed.”


Poppy watched as the Headmaster and Deputy Headmistress walked out of the Infirmary and then looked down at her small patient. Poor Harry, she thought. It isn’t even Christmas and he’s spent more time here than anyone. 


She tucked the blanket firmly over the small child and went into the office. 


___000___000___000

Hagrid and Fang walked through the forest. He had just finished tending to his small herd of Hippogriffs. The mother was just starting to wean the two babies: Braford and Buckbeak. 


Their treks through the forest were usually peaceful ones for Hagrid. Fang would stay by his side, mostly. Sometimes he would wander off, but never too far that Hagrid needed to search for him. 


As they were walking back to the hut, Fang started growling. Even though Hagrid loved going through the forest, he wasn’t ignorant of the fact that there were some dangerous creatures around. He always came with his crossbow that was strapped on his shoulder. 


To Hagrid most of the creatures were friendly or calm, the centaurs were not. They have been known to attack. There was only a handful that was civil with Hagrid. 


Fang continued growling. Hagrid got his crossbow at the ready, just in case. He went in the direction that Fang was pointing in. There was a clearing about six hundred yards from where Hagrid was. When he got to the clearing, Hagrid dropped his crossbow to his side, letting it hang from the strap across his arm. 


On the far side of the clearing was an injured Unicorn.


Hagrid walked over to it hoping that he could help the injured creature. The closer he got, Hagrid realized that the poor creature was gone. Silvery liquid pooled under the Unicorn. 


“I’m sorry, little guy,” Hagrid sighed, rubbing his hand over the animal’s head and neck. 


___000___000___000

Severus didn’t like to admit that those old geezers were right about this connection between him and Potter. Severus loved his privacy. He loved being alone; though Albus and Minerva refused to let him stay alone. Now, this, whatever this was, this thing with Potter was becoming more confusing by the day. 


When he placed the sleeping child in Minerva’s arms the previous night, he felt a loss that he’d never felt before. Not even when he saw his best friend’s lifeless body on the floor in the nursery. It took a lot more energy for him to leave the Infirmary than he thought possible. Every part of him wanted to go back to the child and snatch him from the woman’s arms. But that wouldn’t happen. It couldn’t happen.


There were more important things on Severus’ mind. The mysterious magical signature that he felt on the practice Bludger and Harry’s broom. Potter’s broom! Potter’s! 


He felt that signature before. During the first Quidditch match. He was so focused on keeping Harry attached to his broom that he couldn’t pinpoint who was casting the curse in the first place. In the beginning, Severus wanted to attribute the Quidditch mishap to an odd occurrence. He didn’t lie to Potter when he said that the magic was from an adult, but he didn’t want to believe that there was an adult that wanted to hurt Potter of all people. 


Everyone Severus encountered was head-over-heels wanting to meet Potter. It needled him in the back of his mind, but now, feeling the same magical signature on the boy’s broom and the practice bludger magnified his belief that someone was indeed out to hurt Harry. He was going to have to take a pivotal role in watching over that boy. But he wasn’t going to coddle Potter either. He was going to keep his distance. The last thing that boy needed was to be in company with him. 


When Severus walked into his chambers, he went straight to the small cart in the corner of the room that housed his small assortment of high-end liquor. The potion master sighed at what he knew was in store for him.


Severus wasn’t a heavy drinker. He only partook in a drink every so often. There were many months when he wouldn’t have a sip. Severus saw himself as a social drinker, but since he wasn’t very social that meant that he didn’t drink very much. Though there were those occasions when Albus and Minerva would come by and drive him to take a drink. But even then he would only drink in moderation, not wanting to become what he ran from in his past. 


Pouring a small amount of the amber liquid, Severus gulped the drink, letting it burn his throat, hoping that it would ease the empty feeling he was having. Not even close. Sighing, Severus poured himself another small amount in his glass but instead of gulping it down in one, he walked over to his usual high-back chair and sat down. 


He needed to take his mind off of Harry Potter. Taking a sip, Severus knew that wasn’t going to happen. That child was going to be a part of his life disregarding how he felt about it. 


It had been hours since he was called to the infirmary. It was the middle of the night. Severus should be in his bed asleep, but he was not. He was standing in a darker part of the Infirmary watching over the small child that, once again, found himself hospital wing. The child looked so small on the cot. Lying on his side curled up in a small ball. His blanket was in a tangled mess with his little feet sticking out at the bottom of the bed. 


Severus was warring within himself about going over to the child. He was about to give in to the impulse when he heard the door open from Poppy’s office and saw her walking over towards Harry’s bed. The potion master watched as Poppy straightened out Potter’s cover, tucking him back in. During her ministrations, Severus saw something peculiar. Harry moved closer to Poppy’s hand but instantly slid away. 


Was he searching for comfort? Severus took a step forward but caught himself. He couldn’t do this, Severus thought. It would just end in pain. Everything always ended in pain.


Severus cast a disillusionment charm on himself and forced himself to walk out of the Infirmary.


___000___000___000

Albus and Minerva were sitting across from each other in Albus’ chambers, drinking tea.


“What do you suppose happened?” Minerva asked, sitting her cup on the small table in front of her.


“Severus and I looked at the bludger,” Albus said. “It was the practice one. I don’t know why it would strike young Harry like that.”


Albus waved his hand towards the door.


Minerva sat back in her chair. She knew Albus was allowing someone to enter his chambers.


The door swung open on its own allowing Hagrid entrance. 


“Professor Dumbledore, sir,” Hagrid greeted. “Professor McGonagall.”


“Ah, Hagrid,” Albus greeted in return. “What can I do for you this evening?”


“I wanted to let you know there is a problem happening in the forest.”


“What problem is that?” Minerva asked. “Is everything alright?”


“No,” Hagrid shook his head. “Someone or something has been attacking Unicorns.”


“Sweet Merlin,” Minerva gasped. 


“Is this the first one?” Albus asked. 


“Dead? Yes, sir,” Hagrid answered. “Earlier I would find injured foals and help heal them. This is the first one I couldn’t help. Sorry, Professor.”


“Not your fault, Hagrid,” Albus soothed. “Please inform me if there are any other instances.”


“Yes, Professor. ‘Night.”


Hagrid walked out of the Headmaster’s chambers.


Minerva reached for her tea cup, filling it again. “Strange things are happening around here,” she observed.


“Yes,” Albus agreed. “Something we need to get to the bottom of.”


___000___000___000

Bill didn’t expect to sleep the night at the Burrow, but when could he ever deny his mother when she gave an order. Not that it was much of an order, to begin with. He didn’t realize how much he missed his room until he lay down in the bed.


After finishing his morning ablution, he headed downstairs. The first thing that hit him was the aroma of breakfast. He knew his mum went overboard when it came to cooking. But from the many mouths to feed, nothing ever did go to waste. 


Bill walked into the kitchen, up to his mum, and kissed her on the cheek.


“Morning, mum.” 


“Billy,” Molly greeted. “Are you hungry?”


“For your food, of course,” Bill said, sitting down at the table. 


“It should be ready in a moment,” Molly said. 


“Mum,” Bill said after a moment of silence. “I’m sorry.”


Molly turned to look at her son. Her brow knitted together. “Sorry about what?”


“I didn’t mean to hurt you, bringing up bad memories.”


Molly didn’t like the contrite tone of her oldest son. Yes, it took a lot out of her searching for her twin brothers’ trunk, but she didn’t mean to have her son worry. She was on the last of the preparations when she sat next to Bill.


Cupping Bill’s face in her hands, she wanted to make sure she had his attention.


“Listen to me,” Molly said. “I don’t ever want you to feel that it was your fault. I will always miss my brothers. If you asked for their trunk or not. Grabbing their trunk did bring back memories, but none of them were bad.”


Bill tried to lower his head, but the grip his mum had made the movement impossible. 


“If there is something that my brothers did that can help you with your work, then it is as much your information as it is mine,” Molly said with finality. “They were your uncles. Understand?”


“Yes, ma’am.”


“Good,” Molly stood up and swiped her arm over the food, having it plate itself and plated on the table. “Now eat. And afterward, you will go through their things and see if it can help you with your assignment.”

TBC


A/N: Thank you to everyone who reviewed, favored, and followed my story. 


Please leave a review letting me know what you think of the chapter. 


Many hugs and kisses!


Mandancie


To be continued...
Chapter 12 Paydirt by mandancie

Bill was looking through his uncles’ trunks. There were a lot of items in there: different tomes, rolled parchment, note-filled binders, and a variety of trinkets. Bill started with the rolled parchment. There wasn’t much on them but odd equations. Surprisingly, it looked like something Fred or George would understand. He put it to the side; he wanted to ask his mum if it would be alright if the twins could have them.


When he got to the binders, he hit paydirt. There were several of the ruins that Bill saw on the mysterious parchment that dealt with Harry. While looking through the notes, there was a small notation on the side. Casting a spell to magnify the words, Bill sighed, shaking his head. This only dealt with half of the ruins on the parchment. Someone else dealt with the second half.  This assignment has him going to several places to crack it.

Protection ruins combined with Albus  Dumbledore. 

Looks like Bill was going back to Hogwarts.

___000___000___000

Harry felt woozy. He could tell by the smell that he was back in the Infirmary. Opening his eyes, he looked over and saw a pair of red-headed teens. Blindly reaching for his glasses, they were placed in his hand by one of the teens. 

“Hey,” Harry said. 

“We’re sorry, Harry,” George said.

“It wasn’t supposed to hit that hard,” Fred continued. 

“I didn’t mean-”

“It’s okay,” Harry replied, cutting one of the twins off. Harry was still trying to tell the two of them apart. He didn’t blame them. It was practice and Harry felt that it would be the same thing if it was actually the real game. 

“We just,” Fred started.

“Feel awful,” George finished. 

“I’m fine,” Harry said, sitting up in bed. “I’ve had worse. You’ll protect me during the game, right?”

“Absolutely,” the twins said at the same time. 

Harry smiled. 

Neither child noticed the figure standing in the corner of the room. 

Severus hated that he couldn’t stay away from the scrawny child. He couldn’t get any sleep the previous night; he was up worrying about Potter. 

This is a huge mistake, Severus thought. He listened to the three of them while they conversed. He was going to leave when something that Harry said stopped him in his tracks. “I’ve had worse.” These small bits of disparaging statements were drawing a picture that shouldn’t be true. 

___000___000__000

Harry was visited by the entire Quidditch team that day. All wanting to make sure that he was okay. After several promises that he was okay to play, Harry calmed Oliver that they would still have their Seeker for the following week’s game. 


Poppy released Harry the next morning after breakfast. She wanted to make sure Harry didn’t have any lingering effects from his accident. 

“I want you to come back,” Poppy ordered, “if you’re having headaches or feeling nauseous.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Harry replied. 

“Well, off you go,” Poppy said, waving her hand towards the door. 

Ron was waiting at the Infirmary doors. The two boys waved at each other.

“How you feeling?” Ron asked. 

“I’m good.” Harry shrugged. 

“Hagrid was asking about you,” Ron said. “You wanna go see him?”

“Yeah.”

Harry and Ron headed for the front doors. They made it to the front courtyard when Ron abruptly stopped. 

“Bill?” Ron said. 

“What?” Harry asked. 

“That’s my brother,” Ron said, pointing to the red-headed man walking towards the edge of the courtyard. “Bill!” Ron called out. 

“Ronnie,” Bill called back, opening his arms. 

Ron jogged to his brother. They embraced each other.  It had been almost a year since he saw his big brother. He and Charlie didn’t live at the Burrow anymore. Ron missed his older brothers, even though he was closer to the twins than any of his other siblings. 

“Hey there, squirt,” Bill said, wrapping his arms around Ron’s shoulders. 

“Whatcha doing here?” Ron asked, stepping back from the embrace.

“Business,” Bill answered. “Need to see Professor Dumbledore.”

Harry stood in the background watching the interaction between the two siblings, trying not to feel jealousy for what he would never have. 

“Harry, come here,” Ron called out.

Harry was brought out of his sad thoughts, after hearing his name called. Harry walked over to the brothers. 

“Harry, this is my oldest brother, Bill,” Ron introduced. 

Bill and Harry reached out and shook hands. 

“Bill, this is my best friend, Harry Potter,” Ron said proudly. To Harry, “Bill’s a curse breaker. He works at Gringotts. He’s really good at what he does. Not many wizards are trusted to work at Gringotts.”

Harry’s cheeks flushed while a huge grin split across his face. He was someone’s friend. Not only a friend but a best friend. He was so caught up in the fact that someone said he was their best friend that he almost didn’t catch what Bill did.


Bill froze for a second. Harry Potter. Well, things are getting interesting, Bill thought. 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Potter,” Bill said formally.

“It’s just Harry,” Harry shyly said. He really didn’t like being called Mr. Potter. For a long time, he was never called by his name. It was always boy, freak, Mr. Potter. Never Harry. He would rather hear Harry.

“Well, just Harry,” Bill said smiling. Harry and Ron smiled back. “I will leave you two to go about what you were going to do.” Bill walked off.

“Will you be here long?” Ron asked before Bill got to the castle doors. 

“I’m not sure,” Bill replied. “I’ll tell you what, I’ll try and stop by again, but if not, I’ll send you an owl.”

“Okay,” Ron said, and the two boys continued on their journey to Hagrid’s. 

___000___000___000

Bill made his way, by memory, to the Headmaster’s chambers. Walking down the magical corridors brought back so many memories. He remembered running to his classes after fooling around with Peeves. Fred and George thought that they were the only ones that gave Peeves trouble. Peeves learned early on that Weasleys were the enemy. 

Walking up to the Griffin that stood in front of the Headmaster’s chambers, Bill admired it for a second. Nostalgic memories once again came flooding back. 

“Well, isn’t this a surprise,” the stone Griffin said.

“Is the Headmaster busy?” Bill asked. 

“No,” the Griffin replied then slid to the side opening up the spiral staircase behind it. 

Bill walked up the stairs. When he got to the door, he heard a voice come from the other side of the wooden door. 

“Come in, my boy.”

Bill smirked as he opened the door. 

“Hello, Headmaster.”

“Mr. Weasley,” Albus said, standing up behind his desk. “This is a pleasant surprise. Come sit. Would you like some tea?”

“Thank you, sir,” Bill said walking to the plush chaise chair across from the Headmaster’s desk. “Tea would be great.”

“So, what brings you here, Mr. Weasley?”

Bill spoke up. “Sir, there is an assignment that I have. I am trying to get information on some ruins that are used on a questionable parchment. In my research, my uncle Fabian or Gideon created the ruins, but there was a side part to it.”

“Ah, yes,” Albus said, sitting back in his chair. “I know what you are talking about. What is it you need from me?”

“I am trying to authenticate the contents of this parchment. It was supposed to have been delivered ten years ago.”

“Interesting,” Albus said, stroking his beard. “May I see the parchment?  Maybe we can work on it together and search for the answers.”

___000___000___000

Ron and Harry reached Hagrid’s hut. Harry walked up a few steps and knocked on the door. The two boys could hear Fang barking behind the huge door. 

“Coming,” a voice said, muffled through the heavy door.  “Quiet, you mangy mutt.”

“Are you positive that dog is friendly?” Ron asked skeptically.

“I’m positive,” Harry said, walking back down the stairs to stand next to Ron.

“Why are you walking away?” Ron’s voice began to squeak. 

“Fang likes to run out when Hagrid opens the door,” Harry said, smiling. “Safer down here.” 

Hagrid opened the door. And just like Harry said, Fang rushed out of the door. Ron screamed running to one side trying to get away. Harry, used to Fang’s antics, twisted at the right time and landed on the huge dog’s back, laughing all the while. 

Ron ran towards the pumpkin patch, trying to dodge the dog. 

Harry finally got Fang calmed down enough to have him walk over to Ron. 

“Come on, Ron,” Harry urged. “Fang is so friendly. Trust me.”

Ron slowly walked towards his friend and the dog;  his head reached Harry’s shoulder. Ron tentatively reached out to pet the dog. When Fang licked Ron’s arm, Harry laughed at the grossed-out look on Ron’s face. 

The two boys stayed with Hagrid for an hour before it was time to head back to the castle for lunch. 

___000___000___000

Quidditch game number two: Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff.

The Gryffindor team was standing by the door waiting to go on the pitch. Once again, Harry was in the middle, and Fred and George were on each side.  Katie and Alica were in front. And Oliver and Angelica were taking the rear. 

George leaned over and said to Harry, “We won’t let you get hurt, Harry.”

“Thanks, George,” Harry said. He was glad that he was beginning to learn the difference between the twins. Sometimes he still would get it wrong. But they didn’t mind. 

The team mounted their brooms seconds before the doors opened. They flew out in formation around the pitch and stopped at their designated positions. 

Harry wasn’t worried about playing. He knew that getting hit was part of the game. It had been a few days and he hadn’t seen Professor Snape. Not much happened that he felt he needed his safety person, but he did miss him. Though Harry won’t admit that out loud. Searching the stands, Harry didn’t see him. Harry sighed and put his attention back on the referee. 

Madam Hooch was standing by the box that had the Quidditch balls. 

“I want a fair game,” Madam Hooch announced.

She released the Snitch and the Bludger. With the whistle in her mouth, she blew on it at the same time, throwing the Quaffle into the air.   

The game started. 

Harry did like he did the last game of rising above the pitch, partly to watch the game and partly to have an easy vantage point to find the Snitch. Something caught Harry’s eye but it wasn’t the small golden ball. Lowering his broom, squinting to get a better look, Harry couldn’t keep the grin off his face. Harry flew back to his previous position knowing everything will be okay: Professor Snape was refereeing the game. 

___000___000___000

Romona was in her tent aside from the Quidditch pitch that housed the chest of balls. Severus walked up to Ramona just before the game started, wearing a referee uniform. It didn’t take much to persuade Ramona Hooch to let him referee this game. There was a special broom that was used. Romona handed it to Severus. He was about to exit the tent when he ran into Minerva. 

She gave him a smirk, raising one eyebrow.

“I don’t want to hear it,” Severus growled, walking past her. 

“I said nothing,” Minerva’s voice followed behind Severus, chuckling a little. 


Severus didn’t really care much about Quidditch. His only interest was Slytherin winning the Quidditch Cup and having bragging rights on Minerva since she was a Quidditch fanatic. But this was necessary. Someone was out to hurt Potter. Last game he was so focused on keeping Potter on the broom that he didn’t pay attention to what was going on around him. He only got a small hint of a magical signature while muttering his spell. Being on the field, Severus figured if something were to happen, he could quickly get to the boy while searching the stands to see who wanted to hurt the child. 

Ramona tossed the game balls in the air, and Severus lifted off into the air. While the Chasers weaved through the opposite team, trying to score points,  Severus looked up and saw Potter staring at him, coming closer. Severus didn’t see the Snitch, and Harry wasn’t flying with the same determination he witnessed in the last game. When the child’s emerald-green eyes began to sparkle behind his wired spectacles, and then a grin almost split the child’s face in half, Severus couldn’t help the warm feeling he had in his heart knowing that the child’s grin was because of him.

The game went off without a hitch. Both teams were scoring. There didn’t seem to be a case of a rogue Bludger. But Severus did notice that at some point one of the twins would guard Harry more than the other players. Severus figured that they felt guilty for what happened during practice. Good job.

Severus kept his eye on the game, but he was also eying the stands. Looking for anything ominous. And he saw it. While the two Seekers were going after the Snitch together, Severus saw a pair of eyes boring their way to the Seekers. Severus didn’t want to draw attention to himself, so he wandlessly cast Protego on Harry. If his suspicions were correct, and they usually were, then he knew who he had to keep an eye on. 

Severus saw the person snarl when they figured out that whatever they wanted to happen didn’t. 

Seconds later, Severus was blowing the whistle to indicate the end of the game. Of course, Harry caught the Snitch. 

“Gryffindor wins,” Severus announced. 

___000___000___000

Harry was elated. He flew around holding the Snitch in his hand, then landed next to his cheering teammates. 

They all encircled him, cheering and congratulating each other. Harry saw out of the corner of his eye, that Professor Snape standing at the other end of the field talking with Madam Hooch. He was about to go over to him but saw that Snape was already leaving. He tried not to feel disappointed that he didn’t get to talk to him. (He was feeling lost without seeing his professor.) 

Fred and George put their arms around Harry, bring the small child out of his thoughts, and escorted him with the other team members towards the storage room, so they could put away their gear. 

“Party in the Common Room,” Oliver announced. 

The team cheered their excitement as they walked toward the castle. 

Harry was happy that they were going to have a party, but he didn’t want to celebrate. He wanted, no, needed, to see his Professor.

___000___000___000

Severus collapsed in his usual chair in his sitting room. He couldn’t complain about the game. Even though there was that minor incident, it was a pretty good game. He fantasized about going to take a shower and calling it an early night. But he knew that wasn’t in the cards. 

For he knew in about 5….4….3….2….

The fire flared green and both Albus and Minerva stepped through.

Severus rolled his eyes skyward, shaking his head. He could tell them to get out, but he was too tired to even say the words. It would just be better to let them say what they want and leave. Fighting it would only make them stay longer. 

“Severus, my boy,” Albus said. 

“I don’t want to hear it,” Severus muttered. Even though he knew they were coming, it didn’t mean he had to like it. 

“Now, Severus,” Minerva said, cheerfully, “there is no reason to act like this. It was a wonderful game.”

Severus lifted his head and looked at the woman. Try as he might, he couldn't hold out. “Get out.”

Albus sat down on the sofa. “It seemed to go off with no problems. Harry seemed to have enjoyed himself,” Albus wheedled.

“I would assume so,” Severus answered, laying his head against the back of his chair. 

“Did you find out anything?” Albus asked. 

Minerva looked from Albus to Severus. Once again, Severus did something to surprise her during the game. 

“My suspicions are becoming more accurate,” Severus said. “But I want to be absolutely sure before I make my move.”

“I knew you were the right person for this assignment,” Albus said. His eyes twinkled.  “I know how much you care for Harry. You won’t let anything happen to him.”

Severus' face morphed into a snarl.

“Come, Minerva,” Albus said, getting up.

“Get out,” Severus growled. “Get out, you old coot.”

Albus couldn’t hold back his chuckle as he walked towards the fireplace. Minerva was right beside him. They left.

___000___000___000

The Gryffindor party was still going strong four hours after starting. Everyone was having fun. Harry and Ron ate a little, and they played Gobstones with Seamus and Dean. 

Harry started feeling antsy. He wanted to talk to Professor Snape. Seeing that everyone was busy having fun, Harry figured this would be the perfect time to leave and go down to the dungeon.

Harry leisurely walked down the corridors, down the stairs. When he got to Snape’s office, he knocked. No answer. He knocked again. Still no answer. 

Harry sighed. What was he going to do? He didn’t want to go all the way back to the Tower. He was getting sleepy. Remembering there was a side door to Snape’s office that led to the class, Harry detoured in the direction of the class. Luckily the door to his office from the classroom was open. 

Harry slowly walked through and looked around the office. Again, he was mesmerized by everything that was on the shelves. Harry saw his professor’s chair behind the desk. Harry didn’t think twice. He pulled the chair out and climbed on it. The chair was surprisingly comfortable. The boy felt an easy feeling surrounding him. The adrenaline of the game and the excitement from the party were wearing off. Harry curled on the chair. Sitting sideways on the chair, his knees were pulled up, his arms tucked between his thighs and chest. His head was nestled in the crease between the back of the chair and the winged side. Sleep claimed Harry immediately. 

___000___000___000

Severus had just finished taking a shower and was getting ready for bed when the floo flared. 

“Merlin’s beard,” Severus muttered. “What now?”

Severus walked into his sitting room and saw Minerva’s head in the fire. He didn’t see the light that he had on the side wall that indicated that someone was in his office without his knowledge.

“Yes, Minerva,” Severus griped. “What do you want? I was about to go to bed.”

“I’m sorry, Severus, but Harry’s missing.”

The tiredness Severus was feeling disappeared. Missing. Was he too late in finding out who would want to hurt the child? Did he miss something?

During Severus’ musing, he looked over and saw that someone was in his office.

“Severus,” Minerva called out. “Did you hear me?”

“Forgive me, Minerva,” Severus said. “It seems I have an errant child in my office.”

“Alright,” Minerva said. “Deal with that and meet everyone in Albus’ chambers.”

The floo turned off before Severus could reply, not that he would. He headed to the entrance to his office. When he opened the door, he didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. At first. He looked at his desk and saw a mop of black hair barely shown over the surface of his desk. 

Severus lowered his head and shook it. Why is this happening? Why was Potter sitting behind his desk? He wanted to go over there, wake him up, and give him the spanking of his life. He knew better than to sneak into his office. Now he had the staff worried. He soundlessly walked over to his desk chair. The boy didn’t stir. Severus turned the chair and put his hand on the child’s shoulder. 

“Potter.”

Harry jumped out of the chair, backing away. Slipping from Severus’ grip.  He learned early that if he was touched while he was asleep, it wouldn’t end well for him. His glasses slid off his face, landing on the seat of the chair. 

“S’ry Un’kle Ver’n” Harry slurred. He continued taking steps back. 

Severus could see that Harry wasn’t awake. He needed the child to wake up as there were things that needed to be dealt with. But he wasn’t liking the narrative that he was gathering from the boy about where these comments were coming from. But that was for a later date. Now…

“Potter,” Severus called out louder. He saw the child jerk awake. 

Harry looked around, though it was blurry,  he still recognized where he was. A calm washed over the fear he felt earlier. 

Severus picked up Harry’s glasses and held them out to the boy.  Harry grabbed them and put them on. When he looked up at his Professor, the calm feeling turned to dread. Professor looked angry. Harry’s fingers gripped his robes and started twisting them between his fingers. His bottom lip sucked into his mouth and was slightly chewing on it.

Severus saw the nervous look on the child and sighed as he sat down on his chair. 

“To me, Potter,” Severus ordered. 

Harry was frozen in his spot.

“I will not ask again,” Severus said. “I am tired and I would like to put an end to this day. Now, to me.”

Harry slowly made the few steps towards Snape. Tears were already blurring his vision.

When Harry was close enough, Severus gripped the child’s small arm and pulled him the rest of the way. He had the child standing between his spread knees. 

The first crystal tear that pooled in the child’s emerald eye streamed down his cheek. 

“Mr. Potter,” Severus said softly. “Why are you in my office? Aren’t you supposed to be in the Gryffindor Tower, getting ready for bed?”

Harry opened his mouth as if to answer, but the only thing that came out was a small whine. More tears followed the first one. The child’s shoulders shook as he tried to calm his breathing. 

“Harry,” Severus soothed. “I am tired. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. And I promise you will not like it the hard way. You are already due for a spanking for worrying the staff and being out after curfew.”

“I’m s’ry,” Harry gasped and wheezed out. “I j’st want to see you.” He raised his hand with his robe still curled on his fingers wiping his tear-stained cheeks. 

“And this couldn’t have waited until tomorrow?” Severus asked, grabbing Harry’s hand and started freeing his fingers from the thick woolen cloth. 

“I missed you,” Harry said softly. He lowered his head as his cheeks turned a shade of red darker than it was while he was crying. 

Severus blinked at what Harry just said. He missed him. Why would anyone miss him?

“Be that as it may,” Severus said while absentmindedly disentangling Harry’s other hand, “you cannot just roam around the castle like this.”

Once both of Harry’s hands were free, Severus carefully gripped Harry’s arm. He turned Harry until he was sideways and delivered four sharp smacks to the child’s bottom.

Fresh tears gathered and streamed down his red-blotched cheeks. Harry took his glasses off, and tossed them on Severus’ desk, wiping his cheeks with the backs of his hands. Harry turned and faced Severus and collapsed against the man’s chest. He wrapped his arms around the adult’s neck. Harry silently cried with his face buried in Severus’ shoulder. 

Severus encased Harry with his arms and let out a huge sigh.

“What are you doing to me, Potter?” Severus muttered to himself. 

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 13: Detention with Evil by mandancie

“Where could Harry be?” Minerva frantically asked. “The portraits said they haven’t seen him.”


She was pacing back and forth, too antsy to stand still much less sit down. Her lion cub was somewhere alone in the castle. 


“Calm down, my dear,” Albus said. “I am sure that Harry is safe. He’s just in another part of the castle, and I have checked the third floor, so I know he’s not there.”


“Well, that’s something,” Minerva said.

 

A doe Patronus came through the door, and it pranced over to Albus and then disappeared. 


“Minerva,” Albus said, walking towards his Deputy Headmistress. “All is fine. Harry is safe.”


“Where is he?” Minerva asked.


“I will see to him,” Albus soothed, giving her a calming smile. “Why don’t you go back to your chambers and get some rest. Harry is fine. You don’t have to worry about the child.”


Minerva nodded and walked out the door.


___000___000___000

It took a while before Harry calmed down. Severus sat at his desk for twenty minutes before the child’s cries turned to hiccups and sniffling. Severus tried to shift Harry so that he could push the child off his lap. The boy refused to let Severus go, so the Potion Master carried the child to his chambers. 


He was now sitting in his chair.


There was a knock before the door opened, and Albus, as usual, walked in without being invited.

 

“Well, doesn’t everything look tranquil?” Albus said. His eyes twinkled.


“No, it’s not,” Severus groused. “I can’t keep doing this. He can’t want me.”


“Now, Severus,” Albus said, sitting down on the chair across from him. “Harry has chosen you. He wants you to be there for him. He knows that you will protect him. You’ve been doing it since the term started.”


Severus sneered and turned away from his adopted father to look at the fire. He didn’t want to be responsible for someone. The last time he was, it didn't work out. They still died.


“Where’s Minerva?” Severus asked after a short pause.

 

“Probably in bed by now,” Albus said matter-a-factly. “Where else would she be? When she heard Harry was safe, she retired to her chambers.”


“Are you taking Potter to his dorm?” Severus asked. 


“No,” Albus answered. “He will stay here. He’s already asleep. He’s comfortable. And it is high time you step up. You both need each other. Stop fighting it.”


“I am not fighting-”


“Severus,” Albus said, cutting Severus midsentence. His voice no longer had that grandfather tone. Severus knew that tone all too well.

 

“Look at the child,” Albus continued. “Look how you’ve taken care of him. I will not allow you to hurt this child because you are afraid of allowing yourself to feel again. Last time, there was nothing you could have done. Don’t let this child suffer because of  your stubbornness to open up your heart.”


Before Severus could respond to Albus, the Headmaster turned and walked to the door. “Good night, son.” Albus walked out. The door made a small click in the silence.

 

“Sir.” Harry’s small voice broke the silence in the room. 

Severus looked down at the child still cuddled on his chest. He was surprised the boy was awake.

 

“If you don’t want me,” Harry continued, pushing against his Professor’s chest to get a better look, “I’ll leave.”


Severus looked at the child. The man was at war with himself. Part of him wanted to protect the small child as it seemed that no one has ever done it since Lily died for him. Then there was the small part of him that felt he wasn’t worthy enough to care for such an innocent child. 

This wasn’t the Potter he expected to grace these halls. Harry didn’t care about fame or notoriety. From what Severus had seen, the child just wanted someone on his side. Someone he could rely on. He couldn’t be that person. He just couldn’t.


Harry slid off Severus’ lap, pulling the man out of his musings. The child headed for the door.

 

“Where do you think you’re going?” Severus asked, standing up.


Harry turned and looked back at his Professor, wide-eyed. 


Not being obscured by the oversized wired-rimmed circle glasses, the similarities in Lily’s eyes were uncanny. Severus held back his gasp at how much Harry had features that not only looked like James but Lily as well.


“I-uh was just going back to the Tower,” Harry stammered, sadly. He didn’t want to leave.

 

“You will not,” Severus sternly said. “You will march yourself to the bathroom,” pointing down the small hall further into the chamber, “take a shower and get ready for bed. There will be a toothbrush and a pair of pajamas on the sink.”


Harry just stared not believing what he was hearing. He didn’t want to be a burden, but the thought of staying with his Professor filled the child with a lot of joy. But he didn’t want to get his hopes up.


“But, sir-”


“Now, Potter,” Severus snapped.

 

Harry started moving towards the designated area, trying hard not to be excited because he was going to stay.


“The last door on the left,” Severus called out. Then put his head in his hand when he was alone in the sitting room.

 

___000___000___000

Harry closed the door to the bathroom. As he was told, there was a pair of pajamas and a toothbrush sitting on the small counter by the sink basin.

 

Harry didn’t know how to take what was happening. Harry wasn’t asleep. He was just relaxing and the safety of being in his Professor’s arms. Hearing the Headmaster, he pretended to be asleep when he and his Professor started talking.

 

There were a lot of confusing emotions that were said while the Headmaster was here. It sounded like Professor Snape didn’t want him in his chambers, but he didn’t push him away. And when Harry tried to leave, the Professor was adamant that he stay and get cleaned up.

 

Harry didn’t know how to take these mixed feelings. He didn’t want to be a burden to Professor Snape, but the thought of not being with him hurt more. He didn’t want what his Uncle Vernon said to be true.

 

After getting out of the shower and drying off, out of habit, he reached for his glasses and remembered that they were on Professor Snape’s desk. His eyesight was bad, and the glasses only helped a little. He learned how to recognize items from their shapes and colors. Harry learned at an early age how to get around with his blurry vision. Twenty minutes after going into the bathroom, Harry was walking out in fresh pajamas.

 

Severus looked at the child; his face scrunched up looking at the child’s hair.


“There has got to be something to deal with that bird’s nest you call hair,” Severus said, dryly. “Come here.”


Harry walked over to the Potions Master.


Severus could see that the child’s hair was still wet. He accio’ed a towel. The last thing he needed was for Potter to get sick.


“Did you even dry it?” Severus asked, rubbing the towel over Harry’s damp hair. “If you don’t want to get sick, dry your hair properly.”


Harry stood silently waiting for Snape to finish, rubbing his eye with his small balled-up fist. He was starting to get tired. He wanted to cherish this feeling he was having. Feeling his Professor drying his hair so he wouldn’t get sick made him feel something he’d never felt: special. Harry just stood there and listened to Snape fuss. 


“Yes, sir,” Harry mumbled in response.


“Let’s find you something to sleep on,” Severus said, absentmindedly. Transfiguring his sofa into a cot along with a blanket and pillow. 

Holding up one corner of the blanket, “Get in,” Severus ordered.

 

Harry wasted no time climbing on the bed. Laying down on his side, Harry looked up at his Professor, “Goodnight, sir.”


“Go to sleep, Potter,” Severus said as he tucked the cover around the child’s shoulders. “You know where the bathroom is if you need it.”


Harry nodded his response. 


Severus dimmed the lights until there was a soft glow around the room. It wasn’t pitch-black, but the lights were low enough that Harry could sleep comfortably.

 

“Don’t get up wandering around my chambers,” Severus said. 

Harry didn’t respond as he was already asleep.


___000___000___000

Bill walked into his small office at Gringotts with a lot on his mind. He didn’t know how the Goblins were going to deal with what he discovered. He wondered if they would even believe him.

 

His meeting with Professor Dumbledore was extremely enlightening.

 

“I remember putting those runes on it,” Albus said reminiscing. “Your uncles were there as well. James and Lily wanted Harry to be well taken care of. With the war starting to come to fruition, I think they knew that their days would be numbered. I think everybody did.”


“So, what did you and my uncles do?” Bill asked, taking another sip from his tea.


“The runes your uncles designed were to make sure that only the person who the Will was for could open it,” Albus said. “My addition was making the runes stronger.”


Albus picked up the aforementioned parchment and waved his hand over it.

 

“The runes have not been altered,” Albus said. “Whoever wanted to get this opened tried to break it, but couldn’t.”


“So, you think that someone was trying to steal from the Potters?” Bill asked.

 

“I’m not sure. It was a horrible event. The death of the Potters and the attack on the Longbottoms were not the only things that happened. Your uncles were also murdered.”


“That’s when they died?” Bill asked. His brow furrowed.

 

“Didn’t you know that?” Albus asked, tilting his head, slightly.

 

“I…I never asked mum,” Bill sighed. “We never wanted to bring up our uncles because we didn’t want to see her sad. I mean we knew that they helped fight during the war, but never any details.”


“Voldemort’s followers were going after the families that were in the Light,” Albus said.


“So, you think that what’s going on with this parchment is because of what happened then?”


“No,” Albus said, shaking his head. “The parchment had to have been after.”


“I don’t understand,” Bill confessed. 


“Let’s go back,” Albus said. “The Potters have been killed. That would mean that this Will should go through the Goblins to be sent out to whomever it is supposed to go.” 


Bill nodded his agreement. 


“But something had to delay it,” Albus continued. “Since we now have the parchment in hand.”


“But Goblin magic is strong,” Bill said. “There isn’t a creature stronger.”


“Yes, there are,” Albus said, looking over his half-moon glasses. 


Bill thought about it for a second. Then it came to him.


“Elves.”


Albus nodded.

 

“But elves wouldn’t do something against a wizard or Goblin,” Bill explained. 


“What if it was ordered?” Albus suggested. “Say someone wanted that Will. Voldemort was gone. What better way to get revenge on who ‘killed’ him than going after The Boy Who Lived?”


“But they couldn’t,” Bill summarized.

 

“Not with the protection your uncles and I put on there.” Albus agreed. “So the next best thing was done.”


Bill didn’t like what those thoughts implied. The scandal wouldn’t be the only problem that would have to be handled, but the ramifications of having a blemish on the integrity of Gringotts.


“I have to go,” Bill said, standing up. He grabbed the parchment and headed for the door. “Thank you, Professor.”


Bill was sitting behind his desk, looking at the parchment. He knew Griphook was on his way. He was not looking forward to telling him that there was a breach in Gringotts.

 

___000___000___000

Harry woke up feeling the best he’d felt since the first night he slept in the dorm. He stretched and realized that he wasn’t in his dorm room. He reached for his glasses a little surprised that they weren’t where they should be. Looking around the blurry room, he remembered what happened last night.

 

Biting his lip, he sat up pulling his legs from under the covers. He remembered the conversation between his Professor and the Headmaster; he wanted, no, wished, that Professor Snape wanted him. But the last thing Harry wanted was to be a burden. He was told all his life that he was a burden to his Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon. He didn’t like them, and they hated him. But his Professor was his safety. He didn’t want to lose his safety. So if it meant that he had to leave so he wouldn’t be a burden, then that’s what he would do. He wanted Professor Snape to always be his safety. And Harry would do anything to keep it.


Harry got up and started fixing the cot. Maybe if I cleaned the room as best as possible, I won’t be a bother to Professor, Harry thought.

Harry didn’t know how to turn the cot back into the sofa it was. But he knew how to make up the bed so it looked like it was never slept in. No wrinkles. He needed to get his glasses from the Professor’s office. When he walked over to the side door, he tried to turn the knob. It was locked. How was he supposed to get his glasses? He started biting his lip. He didn’t want to burden his Professor. He had to make this right. He’d worry about that later. He needed to get ready. After doing his morning ablutions, he looked around and saw that his clothes from last night were not where he left them. This time he was slightly chewing on his lip. Not a burden. He had to make it so he wasn’t taking away his room with his things. 


What was he going to do? He didn’t want to be a burden by leaving his clothes and taking the pajamas. The only option was to leave and somehow get the pajamas back to his Professor. 


Harry walked back to the front room and saw that his robe wasn’t there as well. Tears started to blur his vision more than his bad eyesight. He would just have to leave. He ran to the door. Before he could touch the door knob…


“Running again, Potter.”


Harry froze with his hand still on the doorknob. He didn’t want to leave, but he didn’t want to be a bother either. 


“To me, Potter,” Severus said.

 

Harry slowly turned around and saw his Professor in the same house robe he wore last night. It was strange seeing his Professor in anything other than his teaching robes.


Severus sat down in his wing-back chair.

 

Harry walked over to Snape as if facing the gallows. His shoulders hunched. His head bowed. He had his fingers tightly wound in the fabric of the pajama top. A few of the bottom buttons popped open from his ministrations. 

 

Severus watched the child come to him, shaking his head. Why did it have to be him? Why did he have these feelings of protection for the boy? The boy was too pure for someone like him to care for the child.


“I swear, Potter,” Severus said, reaching out to the boy when he was close enough. “If you keep this up, you’ll either lose your fingers from blood loss or destroy your clothes.” 


Harry’s head shot up and looked at his Professor. When he felt his safety’s fingers, he didn’t realize that he had his fingers wrapped as tightly as he did until he felt small tingling sensations in his fingers.


Once the child’s fingers were free, Severus softly pulled free the child’s bottom lip.

 

A harrumph sound came from the Potions Professor when he saw the damage to the boy’s lip.


“What am I going to do to keep you from eating your lips?” Severus asked.


Severus accio’ed the bruised balm he’d been treating the child with and put more on the boy’s lip.


Harry was too stunned to answer. This was not what he was expecting to happen.

 

“If you’re through gawking, can you tell me where you were planning on going in your pajamas and without your glasses?” Severus asked dryly, raising one shapely brow.

 

Harry stood in front of his Professor with his jaw slacked. This was not what he expected. He didn’t want to be a burden to Professor Snape, but Snape wasn’t acting like he was a burden. Harry was confused, but he knew he could talk to him.


“I don’t want to be a burden, but I don’t want to lose you,” Harry rushed out.


Severus didn’t know how to take that statement. The child declared that he wanted to stay with him. If he was honest with himself, he didn’t want to lose what was growing between him and Harry. But he also knew he was no good for Harry. There was too much bad in his past that prevented him from giving the child what he needed despite what Albus and Minerva said. Severus didn’t know how to respond to the child’s declaration, so he decided to ignore it for now.


“Go get dressed, Potter,” Severus said. Before Harry could say anything, he continued, “Your clothes are on the sink now.”


Harry walked toward the bathroom. 


Severus felt himself sigh for what seemed like the hundredth time. What was he to do? He wasn’t the right person for Harry. He was too dark.

 

___000___000___000

After retrieving his robe and glasses, Harry headed towards the Great Hall for breakfast. Harry had a lot on his mind, and he didn’t know how to take what happened in Professor’s chambers last night and this morning. Professor Snape never replied to his confession of his worries about how things were between them. So many things didn’t make sense to him. Was he a burden? The more he thought about it, he could admit to himself that he honestly didn’t know.


“Oi, Harry!”


Harry turned to see Ron jogging towards him.


“Hey, Ron,” Harry said.


“Hey,” Ron said back. “Where you been?”


“Professor Snape,” Harry answered.


“You had detention with Snape? This early?” Ron exclaimed. “Blimey, Harry. Does that man ever give you a break? Come on.”


Harry didn’t bother to dissuade his friend from his assumptions. There was no point since Harry didn’t understand what was going on between him and Professor Snape. Harry didn’t have to worry about answering his best mate’s question since his best mate was talking too much for Harry to get a word in. Not that it bothered him.


___000___000___000

The day was an unusual day. Rumors were going around the school that Professor Snape wasn’t his usual harsh self. He seemed distracted. Though there had not been any potion mishaps, the students were scared to have the old Professor Snape come back, they made sure they did their best throughout their class time.

 

During lunch, Professor Snape’s attitude towards his classes spread like wildfire. The Gryffindors and Slytherins were upset that none of the years had Potions. Though the other Houses didn’t let them believe it was an easy day. 


An inattentive Snape is just as scary as an attentive one. He was like a ticking time bomb; you didn’t know what would set the Professor off. 


Albus and Minerva got wind of Severus’ attitude. It began to worry Minerva. It had been a long time since he acted this distracted. Severus came to breakfast and lunch but hardly ate anything. 


When Severus left the head table, Minerva whispered to Albus, “Albus, I’m worried about Severus.”


“He’s got a lot on his mind,” Albus answered.


“Even when the Dark Lord was active,” Minerva said, “he wasn’t this despondent.”


“Just let him be,” Albus placated Minerva, patting her on her arm. “You know how Severus is. He will come to us if it is too much.”


Minerva sighed. “Maybe you’re right.”

 

___000___000___000

The day wasn’t any better for Harry. He had a lot on his mind. He didn’t know how to process what was going on. His safety would help him and take care of him. But he didn’t want to be a burden to him. Harry refused to jeopardize what he had with Professor Snape. And if that meant staying away, then so be it, that is what he would do.


Ron tried to talk to him during the day, and Harry tried to contribute to the conversation, but he just didn’t have the strength to be engaging.

 

Ron decided to just be with Harry. He figured his friend had a lot on his mind and didn’t feel like talking. Ron understood those feelings; people didn’t want to talk sometimes. He felt like that with his brother, especially the twins. 


It was the first-year Gryffindors’ and Slytherins’ last class: Defense. This was the first time that Harry got animated. They were going to practice a stinging hex.


Ron was excited just as much as Harry. He was happy to see a smile on his friend’s face.

 

They were instructed to get into groups of four. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Neville were in a group together. 


“Now,” Quirrell instructed, “you w-will t-try to-to sting a p-p-person in your group. You all kn-kn-know the enca-ca-canta-ta-tation. B-begin.”


All the students started saying the word causing someone in their group to get stung. It was a harmless spell. Actually, it only gave your opponent a slight tickling feeling. Smiles and laughter filled the classroom.


Quirrell walked around the room checking on each student, making sure they were pronouncing the word correctly or doing the correct wand movements.

 

Hermonie just finished hexing Ron and Harry. Both boys were laughing. It was Harry’s turn again to hex someone. Harry pointed his wand at Neville and said the word.

 

What happened next surprised everyone. Neville collapsed on the floor writhing in pain. His screams were heard throughout the classroom. Harry, Ron, and Hermione rushed to Neville’s side but didn’t know how to help their friend.

  

“Mr. P-p-potter,” Quirrell harshly called out. “What d-d-did you do? How d-d-dare you use a-a-a curse like th-that. Finite Incantatem.”

“I-I didn’t,” Harry squeaked. “I promise.”


Neville’s screams quieted. There was only his sobbing that surrounded the room.

 

Everyone stopped practicing to see what was going on.

  

“Ms. Gr-granger,” Quirrell said. “Go to the Inf-f-firmary and get Madam Pomfrey. Be qu-quick about it.”


Hermione rushed out of the room.

 

Quirrell turned his attention to Harry.

 

Harry knew that kind of look. Nothing good ever came from that look. Inch by inch, Harry began backing up.

 

“Don’t move, Potter!” Quirrell shouted. 


Harry froze where he stood. Too afraid to even breathe loudly. 

Everyone in the room was silent. No one had ever heard the Defense Professor shout.

 

“Class dismissed.”


Everyone except Harry and Ron packed their belongings and rushed out of the room. 


“You t-t-too, Mr. Weasley,” Quirrell ordered.

 

“But-”


“Now.”


Ron and Harry looked at each other. Ron wanted to stay with his friend. He knew Harry didn’t try to hurt Neville. Something had to have been wrong. Harry said the same word that the others did.

 

Ron packed his things, looked at Harry’s frightful face, and walked out of the room.

 

Harry was scared. It had been a long time since he was around this kind of anger. He hoped he didn’t get a beating. Harry didn’t want to trust anyone but his Professor to discipline him.

 

Quirrell was about to open his mouth when the door swung open and Madam Pomfrey and Hermione came into the room.


“Mr. P-p-potter, you will have d-d-detention with Hagrid to-tonight,” Quirrell ordered. “Now g-g-go.”


Harry didn’t need any other incentive to get out of that room. Harry wasn’t sure he grabbed everything. Well, if he didn’t it was going to have to wait until the next time he had Defense. He was not going back to that classroom.


___000___000___000

It was just starting to get dark when Harry headed to Hagrid’s hut. Usually, Harry would be excited to see his friend and Fang, but today, he wasn’t. He didn’t understand what happened. How could he hurt Neville like that? Would Neville want to still be his friend? It was an accident. He hoped so. Neville was kind to him. He helped Harry with the names of some of the plants in Herbology.


When Harry reached Hagrid’s hut, he saw that Fang and Hagrid were waiting for him.


“Righto, Harry,” Hagrid said. “I want you to stay close to me, understand.”


“Yes,” Harry said. “Hagrid, what are we doing?”


They started walking towards the Dark Forest.


“There has been someone or something hurting the Unicorns.”


“There are Unicorns?” Harry asked, excitement in his voice.


“Of course,” Hagrid said, smiling down at the small child. “There are all sorts of wonderful creatures in the forest. Maybe we will see some.”


Harry couldn’t help the small curve in his lips. Even though this was a punishment, he was happy that at least he could spend it with friends. And who didn’t like having Fang next to you? Fang stayed next to Harry the minute he showed up at the hut. Harry kept his hand on Fang’s huge collar.


___000___000___000

For the first time in a long time, Severus felt out of control. He didn’t like this feeling. He felt vulnerable. He hated that. Vulnerability made him feel weak.

 

He knew what he was feeling, but it was the last thing he wanted to admit. He didn’t want to care for the boy. He couldn’t do it. He was scared. And it was a scrawny, timid little child with emerald green eyes that brought those feelings flooding back.


He wasn’t a nice man. He didn’t want to be nice. He didn’t want to be trusted. He didn’t want to care.

 

Caring meant that he had to put his heart on the line. He couldn’t do that. Not again. His heart was broken once before, and he swore to himself that it would never happen again.

 

Severus was not his usual self today. He heard the whispers from the students about how he was acting, but he didn’t care. He had a lot on his mind. It was amazing how one small child could take up so much of his attention.

 

Severus also knew that Minerva and Albus were worried about him. He could see it in their faces during lunch. And he knew what that would mean; they were going to barge into his chambers and make him talk. 

That was the last thing he wanted.

 

To illustrate that he didn’t want to talk, he left his chambers. He figured that a peaceful walk would help. They would come to his chambers and see that he wasn’t there and let him be-

 

“My boy.”


-or maybe not. Severus sighed, lowering his head. “I don’t want to talk, Albus,” Severus said dryly. 


Albus caught up with Severus.

 

“I think you do,” Albus countered.

 

“No,” Severus said, slightly shaking his head. “I don’t.”


“Then why are you walking towards my chambers?” Albus asked, looking over his half-moon glasses.


Severus looked around and noticed where he was. He snarled wanting to curse out loud. He hated admitting that those old geezers were right. They always hung it over his head.

 

“Careful, Severus,” Albus warned lightly. “You’re projecting your thoughts. I know you’re worried. And I know that it has to do with a certain young boy. And I know my son; he’s fighting himself because he cares and he doesn’t want to find out what it all means.”


Severus hated that Albus could read him like a book sometimes. He took a deep breath, letting it out slowly, “Fine,” Severus said softly.

 

Albus put his hand on Severus' shoulder, “Come, son, let’s have some tea. I’m sure all will sort itself out. You’ll see.”


Severus took another deep breath, slowly letting it release, and allowed himself to be taken to his adopted father’s chambers.


___000___000___000     

Bill waited all day hoping Griphook would come to inquire about the parchment. It was getting close to his time to leave. After learning what he did from Dumbledore, there wasn’t much he could do without the Goblin’s help. 


So, Bill decided to work on some of the other items on his desk. Finishing up on the last item, Griphook walked in, closing the door behind him.

 

“What did you learn?” Griphook asked.


“A lot,” Bill said. “And something you are not going to like.”


“Tell me.”


“The runes are genuine,” Bill started. “It's authentic. This is the Will of the Potters. I talked with one of the wizards that put it on the Will. The other two wizards were killed during the first war.”


Griphook grabbed the rolled parchment, looking it over.

 

“The problem is,” Bill continued. “Someone else put a curse of sorts on it to keep it from going through the proper channels.” 

 

“What do you mean ‘curse of sorts?’”


“It isn’t something I can break,” Bill confessed. “It has to be broken from the elf who put it on there.”


“Elf?!” Griphook roared.

 

“Sorry, sir,” Bill said. “An elf sabotaged this Will causing it to delay delivery. And it had to be done within these walls.”


Goblins were already pale creatures. Learning that there was a breach of conduct within Gringott, Griphook turned ghostly white. 


___000___000___000

Harry knew that detentions weren’t supposed to be easy or likable, but this was nerve-wracking. It was dark except for the few streams of moonlight that fell through the trees. When Harry would walk around the neighborhood at home, he would hear all manner of insects around. Here in this forest, there was nothing. Complete silence.

 

The silence bothered Harry. Darkness bothered the child. He didn’t like it. It reminded him of awful things. Things he didn’t want to remember. Silence reminded him that there was no one there. That he was alone.

 

When Harry would be punished, he would be put in a soundproof closet that his Uncle Vernon had made special for him. It didn’t matter how much he screamed his apology for whatever sin he was blamed for committing. It didn’t matter. Harry was stuck in the dark, alone, with the only noise being his own. He’d rather be in his cupboard under the stairs than in that soundproof closet. 

Harry was brought back from his memory when he tripped over a tree root that was coming out of the ground. Falling on his hands and knees he felt the roughness of the bark and the dampness of the forest floor. His pants started to dampen. Feeling the soggy ground, Harry was able to come out of his memory. When he looked up, he came to the realization that he hadn’t heard Hagrid. He really was alone. In the dark.

 

“Fang,” Harry called out, weakly. “Hagrid.” His voice was a mere whisper from fear.


There was some rustling noise just ahead of him, so he figured that it was Hagrid. As he got up and followed the sound. He saw he was coming towards some light.

 

There was a clearing in between the trees.


A slight feeling of ease came over Harry when he saw the lighted area. He walked to it and saw a cloaked figure lying on the ground. It wasn’t Hagrid. There was something under it. When Harry got close, his scar started to burn. It wasn’t as painful as the other week, but it did stop Harry in his tracks.

 

Harry didn’t like what he was seeing. Stepping back the boy tripped on a branch causing him to fall backward. The damp ground began to soak into his clothes again.

 

The noise made the cloaked figure look up. The face was partially covered. There was silvery liquid streaming down the sides of, what Harry assumed, was its mouth. The cloaked figure floated above the thing it was leaning over. 


Once the cloaked figure moved, Harry could see that it was an animal lying on its side. Probably one of the Unicorns he and Hagrid were supposed to be looking for.

 

The figure started to float towards Harry. The boy couldn’t hold in his screech as he tried to back up. His hands and heels of his feet slipped on the damp ground. Not getting far as he bumped into the base of a tree.

 

The figure was almost upon Harry when something jumped over Harry and stood between him and the cloaked figure. His protector looked like a horse but wasn’t one. Harry watched as the creature charged the cloaked figure making the figure go in the opposite direction.

 

The creature turned around.


“You are safe, Harry Potter.”


“Who are you?” Harry asked. His voice was a whisper. He swallowed and asked the question again, but a little louder.

 

“My name is Firenze,” giving a slight bow. “I’m a centaur.”

 

Harry stood up. “You know my name?”


“Witches and wizards are not the only ones that know of Harry Potter. We, creatures, know as well,” Firenze said. “And you shouldn’t be here. It is not safe for you in the forest.”


“It was my detention,” Harry said.


“Climb on my back,” Firenze offered, reaching out, taking the child’s arm, and pulling the child on his back. “You shouldn’t be here. And you will be in more danger the longer you stay.”


Once Harry was on Firenze’s back he wrapped his arms around the centaur’s waist. Harry lowered his head, burying it in the crook of his elbow. The dark still scared him, but having something to cling to helped. He just wished it was his safety.


___000___000___000

Severus was sitting across from Albus’ desk drinking tea in surprisingly comfortable silence. He thought about what they talked about. He didn’t believe he was the right person to care for Harry. But Albus countered his argument with the fact that he referred to the child as Harry. 


Fawks squawked and broke Severus out of his musing.

 

“What’s going on?” Severus asked when he saw Albus whispering to his phoenix.

 

“There seems to be a problem in the Forbidden Forest.” Albus stood.


Severus got up, and the two wizards rushed out of the Headmaster’s chambers.


They got to Hagrid’s hut and saw the half giant pacing back and forth.

 

“Hagrid,” Albus called out.

 

“Professor Dumbledore, sir,” Hagrid greeted. His voice was a little shaky. “Professor Snape.”


“What’s happened, Hagrid?” Albus asked. 


“I can’t find Harry.”


“Harry?” Severus wanted clarification. “Why was Harry out here and not in his tower?”


Severus couldn’t believe what he just heard. Why would his Harry be in the forest? His Harry? The child couldn’t be his. Harry could do much better.


Hagrid, answering Albus’ questions as to why Harry was with him in the forest, brought Severus out of his musings.


Severus was about to demand again as to why Harry was in the forest when movement at the edge of the forest got the three men’s attention. 


“Ah, Firenze,” Albus greeted. “It is wonderful to see you.”


“Professor Dumbledore,” Firenze slightly bowed his head, walking closer to the men. “It seems that there was a wandering student in the forest.”


Severus saw the small child clinging to the centaur. He rushed to Harry’s side.


“Harry,” Severus called out.

 

Harry lifted his head and saw Professor Snape. His safety. Harry didn’t know how his Professor would react to the fact that he was in the forest, but it was his detention, so he shouldn’t get in more trouble. He hoped he wouldn’t.

 

When Severus reached them. Not thinking about what he was doing or who was with him, Severus gripped Harry under his arms and lifted the child, his child, off of Firenze’s back and brought the boy to his chest.


Harry wasted no time, wrapping his arms and legs around his place of safety. Trouble or not, Harry didn’t care. Burden or not, Harry didn’t care. As long as he was with Professor Snape, he knew he was safe.

To be continued...
Chapter 14: Coming to Terms by mandancie

Severus walked down to his chambers, Harry still in his arms. This child was set on giving him a heart attack. At the rate it is going now, he just might have one before the school year was out. 


Small whimpering noises were coming from the child. Severus whispered calming words in the child’s ear. When they reached his chambers, Severus decided to sit on the sofa instead of his usual chair. 


“Potter,” Severus softly said. He moved his hands under the child’s arms in an effort to push him back. 


“Please,” Harry mumbled. His face was buried in Severus’ shoulder.


“Harry,” Severus said. “You said that I made you feel safe.” Severus felt the child nodding against his shoulder. “You are in my chambers. I think you will find that you are very safe. We need to talk. I must know what happened tonight.”


Severus didn’t think twice after saying those words. It just felt right to assure the child that he was in a safe place. Because he was. Severus would keep Harry safe. 


Harry heaved a sigh but sat back on Snape’s lap. His hands slid down Severus’ shoulders to his chest, his hand gripping Snape’s robe. The boy would concede that they might have to talk, but he was going to be sure he didn’t leave his spot on his safety’s lap.   


Severus covered Harry’s hands with his own. With just one look from Severus, Harry released the woolen cloth, but when Severus did not release the child’s hands, Harry gripped the Potion Master’s thumbs. 


Gripping the child’s small hands, Severus was once again reminded of how small Harry was, how fragile.


“Harry,” Severus said. “Why were you in the Forbidden Forest? I believe we’ve talked about school rules and how you are to follow them.”


“I wasn’t. I did,” Harry got out in a rush. “Please, believe me. I wasn’t breaking the rules. I promise.” 


Severus could see the panic in the boy’s eyes and feel the hard grip the child was giving his thumbs. At some point, the child tried to reach for his coat again. 


“I do believe that students were forbidden to go into the forest,” Severus said, raising an eyebrow.


“I didn’t want to,” Harry panicked. “I promise.” Tears blurred Harry’s vision. He needed to convince his professor that he didn’t break any rules. After the night he had, he didn’t want to get punished again.


“Alright, Harry,” Severus said.


“Please believe me,” Harry said again. “I didn’t want to go, but I thought I would be fine with Fang and Hagrid.”


“Why were you with Hagrid and not in your tower?”


“I had detention,” Harry said, lowering his head.


“My eyes are up here,” Severus softly chided. He didn’t speak again until onyx eyes met by crystal-drop emerald. “Now I know Hagrid does not give out detentions, so who gave you the punishment?” 


Severus was going to let whichever dunderhead professor know in no uncertain terms that giving a child detention in a forbidden place doesn’t help deter from breaking the rules.


“Professor Quirrell,” Harry said. “I got in trouble in class, but I didn’t do it. I promise. I don’t know what happened. We were saying the right word. Neville even hexed me. I don’t know. But I didn’t do it.”


How dare Quirrell put Harry in danger like that. Detention in the Forbidden Forest? Has he come free of his senses? Anger boiled under Severus’ skin. He knew he needed to calm his rage so Harry wouldn’t think he was angry with him.


The first traces of tears started streaming down Harry’s cheek. Severus, putting both of Harry’s hands in one, removed Harry’s glasses. He grabbed his handkerchief and wiped the child’s eyes. 


Severus struggled to understand what the child was talking about and what happened in the Defense class. Harry was in such a hurry to tell his story that the words were jumbled together. Plus most of Severus’ thoughts were on trying not to destroy a fellow professor and not be sent to Azkaban as a result. 


“Hold on,” Severus cut in the barrage of words. “Let’s try this again. This time slower.”


Absently leaning in Severus’ hand, Harry took a deep breath and told the story again. He talked about what they did in Defense class. How much fun they were having. That they were learning the stinging hex, and when he cast his spell, it somehow came across as a dark curse.


“Then Professor Quirrell gave me detention,” Harry finished. “I didn’t want to go. I don’t like the dark.”


“Okay,” Severus said softly. “How did you get separated from them?”


Harry thought about it for a moment. He didn’t remember. He remembered going into the forest. And the next moment he was alone. 


“I don’t know. I just know all of a sudden it was dark. I hate the dark.” A shiver crawled up Harry’s spine. Just thinking about the darkness and how he felt in the forest had Harry curling his arms against his chest and leaning forward and laying his head on Severus’ chest. 


Severus didn’t try to move Harry. He let the conversation drop for now. The boy was too upset to talk anyway. He let go of Harry’s hands and wrapped his arms around the child. He didn’t want to admit that he needed to hold the child for a moment. Whatever happened in that forest, it took Firenze to protect him and make sure he was safe, worried Severus. He needed to calm himself down and know Harry was alright. 


Severus sat with Harry on his lap for a while. Unlike last night, he felt Harry’s body relax against his chest. The child’s breathing deepened. This time when Harry fell asleep, Severus had no qualms about the child being on him. He didn’t mind having his little spider monkey attached to him. 


There was a lot on the Potion Master’s mind. He wasn’t even perturbed when his privacy was being interrupted when the flames turned green and Albus and Minerva walked through the hearth. He knew it was a matter of time before they showed up in his chambers. 


“Severus,” Albus started but was cut off. 


“When is it acceptable for detentions to be in the Forbidden Forest?” Severus snarled. “Did you approve this?” Severus gave Albus an icy stare.


“I didn’t know that Harry’s detention would be in the forest,” Albus placated. “If I had known that was where his detention was, I would’ve stopped it. You know that. I did talk to Hagrid. He won’t take another student into the forest again.”


“It shouldn’t have to be said,” Severus growled. “That should be a given since it is one of the rules YOU stated at the beginning of school.”


“It was an oversight,” Albus said. 


“An oversight?” Severus said his eyebrow arching. 


Minerva noticed that Severus’ arms tightened around Harry. She wanted to bring a little levity into the room, but it wouldn’t be best to joke now. Minerva knew how Severus felt about her and Albus picking on him. She saw it all in good fun. But this was different. These circumstances with this were scary. 


“An oversight?” Severus’ voice got louder. 


“Severus, you’ll wake Harry,” Minerva quietly said. 


With the same intensity in his voice, “Harry is just fine.” His onyx eyes bore into the Transfiguration Professor. 


Yeah, teasing Severus now would be a horrible idea, Minerva thought. 


Severus closed his eyes. He was taking his anger and frustration out on the wrong people. So he lowered his head and took a deep breath, feeling the weight of Harry lying on his chest, the small tickle under his nose as he breathed in from Harry’s hair, and the slight pull of his coat from the grip Harry has on him. It grounded him. He knew he needed to calm down. 


There was a tense quiet for a moment. Albus and Minerva watched Severus as if he was a time bomb about to explode.


When Severus felt that he had calmed down enough to speak, he lifted his head and looked at his adopted father. 


“I want Quirrell out of this school,” Severus solemnly said. 


“I can’t just fire a professor from the school,” Albus said.


“He is a danger to Harry,” Severus said. 


“I need solid proof of that before I can take action on those accusations.”


“Are you again not believing me?” Severus said sharply. “Have I not proved myself to you that I am a man of my word? He sent Harry to the Forbidden Forest for detention.”


“Severus,” Albus said. “I am not saying that at all.”


“Quirrell is not safe in this school,” Severus said again. “If you won’t handle this, then I will.”


“No, you won’t,” Minerva sternly said.


Albus continued. His voice didn’t have the usual calm tone to it. There were times when he showed why he was the strongest wizard. 


“Your job is to protect that small child in your arms. Get me something concrete that can give me a reason to dismiss Professor Quirrell. But just getting rid of him with nothing to back it up will do more harm than good. You know that.”


Severus hated that made sense. He was too emotional right now. He didn’t like it. Over the past two days how he has felt about Harry has changed considerably. Now, he’ll be worrying over the boy’s safety while that man still roamed the school and taught classes. 


“If you won’t take my opinion into consideration,” Severus said after taking a deep calming breath.


“That is not what is happening here,” Minerva spoke up.


Severus continued as if no one spoke. “I will take Harry out of this school until whatever this is will be taken care of.”


“Severus, be reasonable,” Albus sighed, losing his harsh tone. “Harry can’t just miss school. If it is as you say, and Quirinus is after Harry, then we don’t want to let him know that we suspect anything.”


“He will not be a pawn,” Severus screamed. 


“No, he won’t,” Albus agreed. “Listen, the Christmas holidays are a week away. Wait until then and you can remove Harry. You can bring him down here or take him home if you want. You’ll be able to watch Harry more easily that way.”


Severus didn’t reply to that. 


“Severus,” Minerva spoke up. “Take tomorrow. Spend the time with Harry. Have him tell you what happened. Assure him that you’ll be there for him. And you can build on your bond. Harry needs you. Now more than ever.”


Severus nodding was his only reply.


“Good night, my boy,” Albus said, standing up and walking towards the fireplace with Minerva. Without another word, both left Severus’ chambers. 


Severus laid his head on the back of the sofa, thinking about how he was going to handle what was ahead of him. Harry will be protected. He made the boy a promise. And he was going to keep it. 

 


___000___000___000

Albus walked straight to his desk and sat behind it. He was deep in thought when he pulled out the small tin that carried his lemon drop candies. He popped one in his mouth, closed his eyes, and laid his head on the back of his chair. 


“Albus, what are we going to do?”


Albus opened his eyes and looked at his Deputy Headmistress, almost forgetting that she followed him to his chambers.


“If Quirinus is set to hurt Harry,” Minerva continued. “How can we protect Harry without alerting the man? What if it’s not only Harry? What if there are other students he’s harming?”


Just the thought of the professor harming any of the other young witches and wizards within the school brought the acrid bile to the back of her throat.


“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves,” Albus soothed. “We’ll start in the morning. You will keep an eye on Quirinus. Pay close attention if he’s singling another child. Get with Pomona and Filius in the morning. The more eyes on him the better.”


“What are you going to do?” Minerva asked. 


“I know my son,” Albus said. “I’ll be watching him. If it’s true, I want Quirrell out of here. No doubt about it, but I want to keep my son safe in the process. I almost lost him before because of his anger. I don’t want to lose both him and Harry.”


Minerva knew what Albus meant. She was there during that awful time. It hurt Severus considerably. Something she knew he still blamed himself about. It was the main reason she and Albus picked on him so much. If Severus took his aggravation out on them then he didn’t blame himself for something that was out of his control. 


“Minerva, my dear,” Albus said. “Why don’t you try and get some sleep? We have busy days ahead.”


Minerva nodded. She agreed. 


“Good night, Albus.” Minerva walked out the heavy wooden door of Albus’ chambers.


___000___000___000

Harry walked into the Infirmary. It was nice coming there and not having to need it. It was an unusual feeling. A nice feeling. He saw Neville sitting on one of the cots. It was next to the one that Harry usually was on. 


“Hey, Neville,” Harry called out, walking over to the cot.


“Heya, Harry.”


“How are you feeling?” Harry asked, standing next to the cot. 


Neville shrugged his shoulders. “Okay, I guess.”


“Listen, Neville,” Harry started. “I wanted to say I’m sorry.”


Neville gave Harry a blank face. 


Harry continued on. “I thought I said the right spell.”


“Well, you didn’t,” Neville angrily said. “I’m in here because of you.”


“But, Neville,” Harry tried again. “It was an accident.”


“Was it?” Neville asked. “I don’t think it was. I think you did it on purpose.”


“That’s not true,” Harry pleaded. “I would never hurt someone like that. You’re my friend. I would never hurt you.”


“Yeah? But you did,” Neville accused. “Now, I’m in here for the next couple of weeks. I’m going to miss going home on Christmas break. And it’s all your fault.”


Harry felt like someone just dumped all the water in the Black Lake over his head. The last thing he thought was that he would feel the same hatred as if he were with the Dursleys. He thought it would be different here. 


The doors to the Infirmary opened. Ron and Hermione walked in. A small smile graced the smaller child’s lips. 


Ron was his best friend, his first friend. He introduced Harry to his brother as his best mate. Ron would be by my side, Harry thought.


“Hey, Ron,” Harry said. “Hey, Hermione.” 


Neither of them spoke back. They walked past him as if he weren’t there. The two Gryffindors went to the side of Neville’s bed. Neville grinned when he saw Ron and Hermione. They started talking amongst themselves, ignoring Harry. 


You’re nothing but a freak. No one will like you. You’re a freak. 


Harry could hear his uncle’s voice in his head. His throat burned at the realization that he was back to being in the shadows. Someone that could only watch instead of participating.


Harry turned and left the Infirmary. It just hurt too much to sit back and watch as who he thought were his friends ignored him. He walked down different corridors not having a specific destination. 


When he turned down one hallway, he saw Fred and George doing something to one of the armored statues. He loved being around the twins. But he turned and went back the way he came. The last thing he wanted was to be ignored by them. That would just be too much. Best to stay ignorant to that.


“Oi, Harry.”


Harry stopped. He didn’t know how to take his name being called. He liked knowing that he wasn’t invisible, but he didn’t know how they were going to treat him. 


Might as well find out. He turned and saw the twins walking toward him.


“What’cha doing?” Fred asked.


“Nothing,” Harry replied. “What were y’all doing?”


“Oh, you’ll see,” George said, smirking. “Why don’t you go down there and see? You’ll love it.”


Harry was wary of going down there. He didn’t know if this was going to be good or bad. And he was too scared to just ask. Deep down he didn’t want to know the answer.


Before he could turn in the opposite direction, Fred shoved him toward the armored statue. Taking a deep breath, Harry walked down to it. 


As he walked, he turned back and saw that Fred and George were still there. They waved their hands, motioning him to keep going. And so he did. When he got to the statue, it didn’t look any different. He looked back at the twins and could see them pull something out of their pockets. Harry didn’t like this. He turned back to the armored statue. It changed. The armored helmet changed into Uncle Vernon’s head. The mace it was holding in its right hand changed into a narrow wooden cane. The cane went up high over Uncle Vernon’s head and came down with a swishing sound. 


In reflex, Harry covered his head with his arms and turned his back to the statue. He waited for the pain. The blow landed, but before he could register the pain, he sat up.


Harry looked around, trying to see where he was. He was back in his dorm. In his pajamas. The curtains closed around his bed. 


It was a dream, Harry thought. 


Harry sighed and laid back down on the bed. It’d been a long time since Harry had a nightmare. He hadn’t had many since he’s been at Hogwarts. Harry went to the bathroom to splash some water on his face. Maybe that would help. 


As he was coming out of the bathroom, he noticed the room didn’t look the same. It was empty. He knew it was the boys’ dorm, but there wasn’t any furniture. No bed, trunks, lockers. Harry didn’t like this. He took a step back and bumped into the wall. He didn’t know what was going on. He was scared. His breathing sped up. His heart felt like it was pounding in his chest. He wanted his safety. He needed his professor. 


“Professor Snape!” Harry yelled. “Professor Snape!”


Harry closed his eyes and continued calling for his safety. He knew all will be right when he was with his professor.


___000___000___000

Severus sat in his chair nursing a small glass of Firewhiskey. Severus held Harry for half an hour before he decided to lay the boy down. He carried Harry into his bedroom and placed him on the bed. He took off the child’s shoes and robe. He unbuttoned the first few buttons of his shirt and covered the child with a throw. 


There was so much on the man’s mind. He wanted to go after Quirrell for what he did to Harry. Then his mind went back to the other things that had happened to Harry. The rouge practice bludger. The cursed broom. The troll incident. And now this. If it came out that Quirrell is responsible for all of this, there wouldn’t be a safe place for that man to live. Severus would go after him. 


His thoughts on how to hurt Quirrell didn’t bother him. In the beginning, he didn’t particularly like the man. But now that he had Harry, those feelings were stronger. 


Severus was about to take a sip of the amber liquid when a scream erupted from his bedroom. Dropping the tumbler from his hand, Severus raced into the bedroom. 


Harry was sitting up. His eyes were open but weren’t looking at anything. 


“Professor Snape! Professor Snape!”


Severus rushed to the child’s side, plucked the child from the bed, and brought him to his chest. The child was stiff in the Potion Master’s arms


“Harry,” Severus soothed, sitting back down on his bed. “Shh, Harry, you’re okay. It’s just a dream.” He turned Harry so his legs were on one side, wrapping his arms around the small child. 


Severus started rocking side to side trying to soothe the child. 


___000___000___000

Light started to drag the darkness away. Harry’s fear started to ebb away. The hatred he felt from his friends melted like ice on a warm day. Uncle Vernon’s words turned to white noise in the background compared to the solid thumps he could hear. 


The continuing thumps calmed him. Then the smell of sandalwood and spices filled his nose. Harry couldn’t help the smile. He knew where he was. He was wrapped in a cocoon of safety. Nothing could hurt him within this cocoon. He just wanted to soak up this feeling. He never wanted to leave it. This was all his. For the first time in his life, he was going to be selfish about his safety cocoon.


___000___000___000

Severus felt Harry starting to relax in his arms. The child’s legs were rigid and went slack; his back loosened. 


Severus looked down at the child in his arms and saw those small hands reach out and grip his coat. Gripping them into small fingers. 


“Mr. Potter,” Severus said softly. “Would you wake up, please? It seems we have things to talk about.”


Harry snuggled more into his wall of safety before opening his eyes. He looked around and saw that he was in his professor’s arms. A deep sigh flowed from his lungs. 


___000___000___000

Harry stood in front of the Infirmary doors. Professor Snape told him that it was just a dream and that none of his friends would hate him because of an accident. He wanted to believe his safety’s words, but past experiences proved differently. 


Harry steeled himself and opened the double doors and entered the infirmary. The same feeling he had when he walked in during his dream came flooding through. He saw Neville sitting up on one of the cots. He was about to call out the boy’s name when said child looked up and smiled. 


“Harry!” Neville exclaimed.


A smile spread across Harry’s face. Neville didn’t hate him. 


“Hey, Neville,” Harry said, walking over to his friend. “How are you feeling?”


“I’m okay,” Neville said. “Madam Pomfrey wants me to stay for another day. Nothing too bad. Just a little nerve pain. She gave me a potion to help.”


“Neville,” Harry sighed. “I’m sorry. I thought I said the right word. I never wanted to hurt you.”


“It’s not your fault, Harry,” Neville said. “It was an accident. I heard you before I started feeling the pain. You did say the word.”


“I just don’t understand why this happened,” Harry said, sitting down on the side of the bed. “Everybody else worked just fine.”


“Well, I can say this,” Neville quietly said. “I’ve been learning different spells and how they would feel from my uncle. I was hit by both Ron’s and Hemione’s spells. They were the same. With you, I felt two.”


Harry’s brow furrowed. “You felt two?”


Neville nodded. 


“Did you tell Madam Pomfrey?” Harry asked. 


“Yeah,” Neville replied, then color drained from his face.


“What’s wrong?” Harry asked. 


“She said I should talk to Professor Snape,” Neville shivered. “She thinks he can help.”


“He can,” Harry said. “I’ll tell him. That way you won’t have to. I know you’re nervous around him.”


“Yeah,” Neville said. “He’s scary.”


“He’s not that scary,” Harry said. “But he may want to talk to you.”


“I know,” Neville said. “Would you stay with me?”


“Yes,” Harry beamed. “What are friends for?”


___000___000___000

Severus stepped through the floo into Albus’ chambers.


“Ah, Severus, my boy,” Albus greeted. “Come.”


Severus saw that Albus wasn’t alone. Filius and Pamona were there talking softly to Minerva. He narrowed his eyes. The last time they were all together like this it didn’t go well for him. 


“What’s going on?” Severus asked. 


“Don’t worry, they’re leaving,” Albus said, smirking. “They are helping gather information.”


“Greetings, Severus,” Filius said. 


Severus nodded in return. 


“We’ll get on with that, Albus,” Filius said. He, Pomona, and Minerva left. 


“So, son, what have you been up to?” Albus asked. 


“Albus, stop,” Severus said. “I’m no longer that boy. You don’t have to check up on me.”


“Call it the habit of an old man,” Albus said, smiling. “You’ll see when it comes to young Harry.”


“You wanted something,” Severus said, trying to change the subject. Even though he had opened up more about his role in regard to Harry didn’t mean he wanted to talk to Albus about it. 


“Yes, Madam Pomfrey informed me of something very interesting with young Neville. I thought you would like to accompany me.”


“Is this about what happened during Defense class?” Severus asked. 


“I assume.”


The two wizards exited the chambers and headed for the Infirmary. When they arrived, the Infirmary door swung open and a small blur collided with Severus.


“What are you running for?” Severus scolded. 


“Oh, hi,” Harry said. “I was about to go look for you. Neville needed to talk to you.” He gripped Severus’ sleeve and pulled him inside the hospital room. 


Severus sneered at the twinkle he could see in Albus’ eyes as they walked toward Neville’s bed.


“How are you doing, Neville?” Albus said, standing at the foot of the bed. Severus stood next to him. 


“I’m fine, Professor, thank you,” Neville politely said. 


“Now, dear child,” Albus started. “Madam Pomfrey told me something that I would like some clarification from you. And I’m assuming she also told you to speak to Professor Snape.”


“Yes, sir,” Neville answered. “It was about when I was cursed.”


“Continue,” Severus said in a neutral tone. 


“My Uncle Algie taught me about different spells when I was growing up,” Neville started. “He also taught me the feel. I was hit with two different curses.” 


“Are you sure?” Albus asked.


“Yes, Professor,” Neville replied. 


“Mr. Longbottom,” Severus said. “I need to see if I can feel any of the residual signature on you.”


Neville watched as his scary professor walked closer to him. As promised, Harry didn’t move from his side. 


Severus closed his eyes as he slowly waved his hand over the child. He went over Neville’s body twice then backed away.


“Did you feel anything, Severus?” Albus asked.


“Not much,” Severus sighed and left the Infirmary without another word.


“Get some rest, Neville,” Albus said. “Harry, come with me.”


Harry and Neville said their goodbyes, and Harry followed Albus out of the Infirmary. 

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 15: Punishment in the First Degree by mandancie

Harry looked around the circular room. There were different trinkets all over. Some big, some small. They all seem to tell a different story. There was a snow globe that had a stone fountain in it. Another was of a knight on a horse. The one that really caught his eye was a medium statuette of a house. There was something familiar about the house. He couldn’t take his eyes off the trinket. He wanted to reach out and touch one, but fear of damaging it stayed his hand. He learned a long time ago that he destroyed everything he touched.  He didn't want to disturb any of these precious items.


Reluctantly, Harry moved from the trinkets on the wall. There was a glass cabinet in the corner. There were different sizes of phials. All of them had a glowing silvery string floating in them.


Albus watched as Harry walked around his chambers. He wanted to talk to him and learn more about what he saw while he was in the forest, but the look of awe and wonder on the child’s face stayed his questioning. 


“Harry,” Albus called out softly. He walked behind his desk and sat down.


Harry turned to the Headmaster and realized he was snooping around his office. He immediately flushed with embarrassment.


Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Harry berated himself. I’m not supposed to snoop. Freaks don’t wander. 


Harry lowered his head and slowly walked over to the Headmaster’s desk.


“Sorry, Headmaster,” Harry mumbled, twisting his fingers around his school robe. 


“Why are you sorry?” Albus inquired softly.


“I was snooping. It’s wrong to snoop,” Harry said. “Freaks aren’t allowed to snoop. They are to stay hidden.


“You’ve done nothing wrong, my boy,” Albus soothed. He didn’t like what he was hearing, but he would deal with that later. Now, he needed to calm Harry down. “I’m honored that you appreciate my items.”


Harry kept his head down. His fingers twisted more tightly around his fingers, mumbling to himself.


“Harry,” Albus said, not liking the words he was hearing. “Come here, child.”


Harry didn’t want to see the disappointment or anger on the Headmaster’s face, so he kept his head down, shaking his head. The last thing he wanted was to be in striking distance. He was fooled by that once. It took two days before he could stand straight. 


Albus watched how the small child basically folded into himself. He could feel the fear emanating from the child. It had been a long time since he’s seen this kind of attitude. When Severus came to him, he didn’t exude this much fear. As much as he wanted to soothe the child, he knew going over to him would only make matters worse. Casting a Patronus, he called the only person who could calm the child.


___000___000___000

After leaving the Infirmary, Severus went to his office. It became apparent that at an early age, Severus had the ability to sense magical signatures. He wouldn’t know who cast the magic but knew if it was foreign from what should be there. This was how he knew during the first Quidditch match that whoever cursed Potter’s broom wasn’t a student that was playing a trick. The magic was too powerful. Same with the practice Bludger. 


With Mr. Longbottom, this was a little different. There was a small trace of a foreign signature on the child, but since it was the previous day, it was harder to distinguish. Hence the reason Severus was in his office now. He wanted to search through his journals to see if there was a way that could help him determine if the second jinx that was fired at Longbottom was from a student or adult. 


As the Potions Master closed one journal and was about to start on another one, a phoenix Patronus floated towards him. 


“That man picks the worst timing,” Severus growled to himself. 


When Severus came out of the fireplace in the Headmaster’s chambers, he was not expecting what he walked into. Albus met Severus’ gaze. He was sitting behind his desk, a worried expression on his face. Harry was cowering against the wall. From where Severus stood, he could see that the child was possibly losing feeling in his fingers as tight as the fabric was around the child’s fingers.  


Severus walked over to the small child. He could see that the boy was in distress. Harry’s face was soaked with tears. He went to his knees in front of Harry. He reached out, and Harry jerked back, bumping his head against the wall. With his fingers so tightly wound in the fabric, Severus heard a slight tear.

Severus tried again to grasp the child’s hand. This time slowly. 


Once again, Harry jumped, but Severus held firm. He wanted Harry to come to realize who was in front of him. 


“Harry,” Severus said quietly. “Harry, I need you to look at me.”


This time there was a different reaction from the child. Harry looked at the man kneeling in front of him. 


Recognition came quickly. 


His safety was in front of him. Harry reached out with his robe still twisted around his fingers. He watched as his professor grabbed his hands and untangled the fabric wrapped around them. Harry heard the man tsk as he removed his robe. Harry’s shoulders shook; his face contorted into agony and self-loathing. 


“All these tears,” Severus softly admonished as he took off Harry’s glasses, putting them in his inside pocket, and then massaged the child’s fingers in an attempt to get the blood flowing in them. Severus then opened his arms, saying, “Come here, spider monkey.” 


Harry all but collapsed in his safety’s arms. Only a small whine came from him.


Severus stood up and walked over to one of the overly plush chaise chairs that were across from Albus’ desk. And, once again, his little spider monkey was draped over his chest. 


“What happened?” Severus asked as he soothingly rubbed his hand up and down Harry’s back. 


“I wish I could tell you,” Albus sighed. “He just got upset when I asked him to come to sit. Then he worked himself into a panic thinking he’d done something wrong.”


Severus shook his head as he rocked from side to side, trying to soothe the child in his arms. 


___000___000___000

As Minerva walked down the corridors, she thought back on how Harry acted in Severus’ arms. She agreed with Severus that Harry shouldn’t have had a detention in the forest. So, she decided she needed to go straight to the source.


She knew that Quirrell didn’t have class at the moment. The children were having breakfast, and Quirrell usually didn’t come to the Great Hall in the mornings. She figured she would find the Defense Professor in his office. She knocked on his door, and once she was acknowledged, she walked in, closing the door behind her.


___000___000___000

It didn’t take long for Harry to calm down. He was now sitting in the other over-plush chair, much to his disappointment. He wanted to stay in his professor’s arms. But Harry learned a long time ago that he would never have what he wanted. 


“Harry, child,” Albus said softly, bringing the child out of his thoughts. “May I ask what upset you so?”


“I was snooping,” Harry whispered. “It’s rude to snoop.”


Severus’ brows knitted together as he thought about that statement. He had caught Harry in his office, alone just a few days ago. He wasn’t this upset about that fact. But he held his thoughts for later. It wasn’t the time to bring that up.


“You were not snooping,” Albus corrected. “You were fascinated by the trinkets around my chambers. Believe me, you are not the first to look around. And I promise you will not be the last.”


Harry bit his lip as he listened to the Headmaster. He didn’t want to hope that he wouldn’t be in trouble. He was brought out of his thoughts when he felt fingers pull his lip from between his teeth. He looked up at Professor Snape and saw him looking at him. He was about to start wrapping his fingers in his robes again when he saw potion-stained fingers free his fingers.


“Harry,” Albus continued. “All these items are here to be observed and cherished. I would be hurt if you didn’t admire them.”


Severus tried his best not to roll his eyes at that statement. Try being the word. 


“Harry, when I asked you to come to me...” 


Harry, once again, tried to wrap his fingers around his robes but couldn’t because his professor had a strong grip on the child’s hands. 


“...I did not intend to scare you,” Albus said. 


“I didn’t want to get beaten,” Harry blurted. Albus and Severus were stunned at the child’s statement. “Being nosy and trying to be like normal people will get you punished. I don’t want to be hurt. Not again. I don’t want-”


Again? “Who hurt you, Harry?” Severus growled, cutting the child off.


Harry looked up and saw the anger in Professor Snape’s face and unbelief in Professor Dumbledore's. What did he do? He had to fix it.


“Please, don’t be angry,” Harry said, looking from Professor Snape to Professor Dumbledore. “It’s only Freaks who get punished.”


“Harry-” Severus growled but was cut off.


“What else do Freaks get?” Albus asked. 


“Albus!” Severus turned his attention to the old geezer that dared to continue to allow his child to see himself as “Freak.” 


Albus knew Severus was getting upset, but it seemed there were underlying things in addition to what Harry mumbled earlier that needed to come out about Harry that seemed to have been overlooked. When he looked at his adopted son, he returned with his own icy glare that rivaled Severus’glare. 


“Freaks have to earn what they get,” Harry said. “It’s okay, though.” 


“And how is it okay?” Albus asked. Though his voice was calm, the wizened wizard was fuming on the inside. 


“I learned how to stay quiet,” Harry said. “If I’m quiet and not seen, then I won’t get hurt. I do my chores and don’t complain. Make meals and not ask for food, but I learned how to sneak to get food,” Harry said. “When I’m left to clean up the dishes, I sometimes find food in the bin. I sneak it into my cupboard. Most times, I would get away with it. There was only been a couple of times it didn’t work. But that didn’t stop me. I just got better at sneaking around and learned not to get caught. 


A growl escaped Severus’ mouth when he stood up. He started pacing the room. There was a tone of accomplishment in the child’s voice as if he was proud that he could sneak food. Sneak food. Wherever he was, they weren’t feeding him. Severus turned and looked at the boy in the chair. Really looked at him. He was small. The smallest of all the first years. He never questioned before how easy it was to hold the child in his arms. His mind quickly went back to those disparaging words he had heard from the child earlier in the term.


“You’re just a burden. A freak. Nobody likes you.”


Severus didn’t understand it when he first heard the words but listening to the child now, a clearer picture was forming in his head. He was not liking what it was revealing. 


“Did I say something wrong?” Harry asked, breaking Severus from his thoughts.


Harry was nervous at first when he saw the angry faces of his professors. But then he realized this was different. He had to learn at an early age how to read people’s expressions. What Harry was looking at wasn’t the anger he was used to.


The Professors’ anger didn’t look like Uncle Vernon’s anger. It didn’t feel like it either. When Uncle Vernon got angry, it seemed like the air got thick in the room. Harry felt stifled. When Vernon stood over Harry, his uncle’s face would turn red. Harry had once wondered if his uncle’s head would actually explode. And plus, Uncle Vernon would be screaming until the windows shook. But Professors Snape and Dumbledore their anger was different. They weren’t looking at Harry with rage in their eyes. 


They weren’t angry at him. 


It was a strange feeling not being the reason behind someone’s anger. It was a foreign feeling. A foreign feeling he was beginning to like. Something he wanted to last forever. Harry wanted to bottle it and never let go.


Harry got up and stood in his professor’s path from where he was pacing. “Are you mad at me?” Harry had to be sure of his assumption. He needed to know.


Severus looked down at the child who seemed to worm through all the mess of his life and was determined to attach himself to the Professor’s heart. After everything Severus had just learned, Harry was worried if the Potions Master was angry at him. Him. 


Without prompting from the child, Severus gripped the child under his arms and picked up the child, holding him against his chest. All the preconceived assumptions he had before the school year were a lie. This child wasn’t pampered. He wasn’t spoiled. 


Tears burned Harry’s eyes as he wrapped his arms around his professor’s neck. 


___000___000___000

Minerva walked up to Quirrell’s desk and sat in the small wooden chair that was used for students. 


“Might I have a moment of your time, Professor?” Minerva asked.


“What can I do for you, Minerva?”


Minerva didn’t answer. She just looked at him stone-faced.


“F-forgive me,” Quirrell backtracked. “Pro-professor McGon-nagall.”


Minerva slightly nodded. “I’ve come to talk to you about the detentions you give out.”


“Is th-there something w-wrong with how I discipline my st-students?” Quirrell asked, putting down his quill and standing.


Minerva knew what Quirrell was trying to do. Standing above her as if he would be intimidating. It would take more than pompous grand-standing to intimidate her. 


“If it is prescribed punishments set by the Board,” Minerva stated, “then no, I have no problem, but there was an issue with your latest detention.”


“I d-don’t believe so,” Quirrell countered. “The p-punishment fitted the offense.”


“Really?” Minerva asked, pulling her wand from its hiding place and twirling it between her fingers. “So, it is usual practice to send students into the Forbidden Forest as punishment?”


“I see,” Quirrell said, walking back to his seat behind his desk. “This is about P-potter.”


Minerva said nothing.


“Mr. Potter used a d-dark curse in my class,” Quirrell stated. “Hagrid told me the issues he was having in the forest, so I th-thought it would be good for P-potter to accompany him.”


“I will talk with Hagrid,” Minerva said, standing up from her chair. “Also, I expect you to be in the Headmaster’s office tonight. You will explain to him why you saw fit to send a student to a known forbidden place.” Minerva turned without a second glance. Before she left the office, she spoke with her back facing the Defense professor. 


“Let’s be clear if I learn that another student’s punishment will in some way be harmful to him, you won’t have to worry about dealing with Albus. I’ll come after you myself.”


The only sound after that was the click of the door latching into place. 


Quirrell snarled as he looked at the closed door. 


“You blithering idiot!” the voice hissed. “One simple thing.” cough wheezing-cough


“Please, calm down, M-m-master,” Quirrell whimpered. “I can f-f-fix th-this.”


“You better.”

   

___000___000___000

Minerva walked into the Headmaster’s chambers and was met by Albus and Severus staring blankly in the distance. The usual twinkle that Albus always exudes was gone. And Severus, as usual, had an intense snarl on his face. And Harry was lying across Severus’ chest, appearing to be asleep. 


“Is everything alright?” Minerva asked, bringing the two wizards out of their thoughts. 


“Just learned some unsettling information from Harry,” Albus said. 


“Unsettling?” Severus scoffed. “Disturbing, no, atrocious is a better word.”


Minerva had never seen Albus look this distracted. It had to be horrifying if he looked like this. She looked over at the child in question, he had his head under Severus’ chin, one of his hands gripping Severus’ robes. The evenness of his breathing confirmed her earlier assumption that he was asleep.


“What did you learn?” Minerva asked, sitting in the plush chaise next to Severus. 


Between Albus and Severus, they recounted everything that Harry said. The more they talked, the angrier Minerva got. Rage wasn’t a strong enough word to show her displeasure. When they were done, Minerva’s angry tirade began.


“I TOLD YOU, ALBUS,” Minerva shouted in anger, leaning on the desk and pointing her finger at the Headmaster. “I told you that they were the worst muggles.” 


Out of reflex, Severus cupped his hand over Harry’s ear so the noise wouldn’t disturb him. He looked from a raging Animagus to a contrite Headmaster. 


“Albus,” Severus said. “What is she talking about?”


“Yes, Albus,” Minerva said, her lips pursed in aggravation. “What am I talking about?”


“You were right, Minerva,” Albus said softly. 


Severus looked to Minerva for answers since Albus wasn’t providing him any.


“I told him after Lily and James died,” Minerva started. Albus couldn’t keep eye contact with his Headmistress. “Not to leave Harry with his aunt.”


Severus' gaze turned to Albus. Rage started bubbling in his chest. He grew up with Lily. He knew her sister. She was a hateful person. Severus remembered all the cruel things she did to her sister. There were many times Lily would be at the park they met all the time with tears streaming down her cheeks. 


Growing up, Lily was always the shining light of his dreary life. She was a true friend. And learning that her son had been staying with that woman who, for some strange reason, shared a bloodline with a sweet, caring woman.


“You left Potter with Petunia Evans?” Severus asked. His voice was low, but the anger could be heard. “Didn’t you know what kind of woman she was?”


Severus stood cradling Harry in his arms. 


“It was the only safe place he could stay,” Albus tried to reason with them.


“Do you call this safe?” Minerva's anger was on overload. The trinkets Harry was admiring started to vibrate on the shelves. “Harry was not safe. Not from his relatives.”


Severus couldn’t take it anymore. Everything he’d just learned was too much. He needed some more clarification as to what Harry had been through. So, without another word, Severus got up and floo’ed out of Albus’ chambers. 


“Albus,” Minerva’s anger deflated from her when she saw the green flames vanish behind Severus. “This has to be fixed. It has to be made right. Harry can’t go back to those vile people.”


All Albus could do was nod his agreement. The blood wards weren’t worth it. He made that mistake once before. He would not do the same thing again. 


After a moment of the two wizened wizards lost in their thoughts, Minerva figured it was a great time to bring up what she learned from Quirrell. 


“Albus,” Minerva said softly. 


“What did you find out?” Albus asked. He knew she went to talk to Quirrell. 


“There is something different about him,” Minerva confessed. “I’m just not sure. As to the detention, he said that he spoke with Hagrid, and it was mentioned that he needed help in the forest. I was heading to see Hagrid.”


“Yes,” Albus sighed. “Talk with Hagrid. Find out what he knew. If Quirinius is behind something nefarious, let me know, and I will deal with it.”


Albus stood and walked from behind his desk.


“Albus,” Minerva called out.


“I’ll be away from the castle for a while,” Albus said in a monotone voice. “Do forgive my abrupt departure.” 


Albus walked towards the living area of his chambers, leaving Minerva standing alone in the Headmaster’s office.  


___000___000___000

When Severus walked away from his fireplace, he felt Harry starting to move in his arms. He sat in his high-back winged chair. He pushed Harry back so he could see him, but not from his lap. Pulling Harry’s glasses from his inside pocket, he carefully placed them on his nose.


“That was very informative, Potter,” Severus said. 


Harry lowered his head. He hated himself for spilling out his secrets, but it was like he couldn’t help himself. Now, his safety knew he was a Freak. He had tried so hard not to show his weirdness to anybody here. Now, the Headmaster and Professor Snape knew. They would probably kick him out of school because he wasn’t normal. The one place he’d ever felt relaxed was now gone. 


Harry tried to push himself off his professor’s lap. He was surprised to feel the arms of his safety wrapped tightly around him, keeping him in place.


“We need to talk,” Severus said. 


Harry's shoulders sagged. “Yes, sir.” 


“You’ve been staying at your aunt’s house?” Severus asked. 


Harry nodded. “Yes, sir.”


“You talked about doing chores.” Harry nodded again. “What kind of chores did you do?”


“Cooking the meals,” Harry started listing off, pointing to each finger the list of things. “Hoovering the living room. Mowing the lawn. Weeding the flowers. Cleaning out Dudley’s second bedroom.”


“What a minute,” Severus said, holding up his hand and cutting Harry off. “Dudley’s second bedroom?”


“Yes, sir,” Harry said as if he didn’t say anything strange.


Severus lowered his head so Harry wouldn’t see the rage brewing behind his eyes. He always knew that Petunia was an evil woman, but to deny her nephew the basics of things- was too much.


“If by chance,” Severus started back talking after trying to calm down, “you didn’t get one of your chores finished. What would happen?”


The color drained the child’s face, and he started biting his lip. Harry didn’t like thinking about the punishments he endured. Some hurt, and others scared him. He could take the beatings. He would hurt afterward. But being put in that dark closet was too much. He didn’t like the dark. He didn’t like not being able to hear anything. Something could be happening, and Harry wouldn’t know it. Feeling his professor’s fingers pulling his lips out from between his teeth brought Harry out of his thoughts. 


“I had to finish whatever I was told to do,” Harry said.


“I understand that,” Severus said softly. “But there had to be a time-”


“Yes, sir,” Harry said, sighing. “I would be punished. Uncle Vernon would hit me.”


Severus’ brow furrowed. He remembered the spankings he gave Harry. The thought that he could be in the same category with someone like that broke his heart.


“The spankings you received from me,” Severus let the statement hang.


“Not like that,” Harry said quickly. “I could walk afterward. You don’t hurt me as Uncle Vernon does.” A small smile graced the child’s lips. 


“When Uncle Vernon hit,” Harry said. “He wouldn’t stop. He would just hit and hit and hit. One time, I couldn’t move right for two days. But I would rather have that instead of being in the dark.”


“Being in the dark?”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded. “He had a closet built so I would be locked in there. It was dark, and I couldn’t hear.” Harry involuntarily shivered from the thought of that closet.


Severus was silent for a while. Then he thought back to the first detention he gave Harry: cleaning cauldrons. He thought back at how determined he was to finish. The child was adamant in wanting to get the job finished. It puzzled Severus why the boy looked so downtrodden when he walked out of his chambers. Now he knew.


Severus remembered the last time he had these feelings. His jealous pride kept him from seeing what was right in front of him. Harry Potter wasn’t what he thought. And if he didn’t prejudge the child, he would have seen it. The eagerness to please. Harry’s apology. He was worried about how I saw him. 


Severus looked at the child sitting on his lap. Without having rose-colored glasses on, he could see the same thing he felt when he found someone who gave him a chance. As much as Severus hated to admit it to anyone, he was always grateful for the love the Headmaster gave him and his willingness to see past his shame and help him.


 

___000___000___000   

Minerva walked down to Hagrid’s hut. She saw the half-giant and his dog sitting outside the hut. Fang was on the ground with his head on his front paws. As the Deputy Headmistress continued on her journey, she could not remember a time that Fang wasn’t jumping around and playing. As she got closer, she saw that Hagrid was crying. 


Hagrid has always had a sensitive soul. It was a shame what he was accused of. She remembered when in her final year at Hogwarts how much Hagrid was eager to learn. Then after the tragic death of a student, Hagrid was accused, expelled, and had his wand broken. Minerva never believed that Hagrid would do anything as despicable as murder. She was friendly with the half-giant and didn’t like what was happening. 


Minerva, being very good in Transfiguration, retrieved the splintered fragments of Hagrid’s wand and combined and infused them into her mother’s old umbrella. She was going to give it to him, but the Aurors had come and arrested Hagrid. 


Years later, when Minerva started at Hogwarts as the Transfiguration Professor and Albus became Headmaster, she learned that Hagrid was living on the property. She visited her friend and gave him his wand back. He was in tears when he saw the small pink umbrella. Before Minerva left that day, she expressed the importance that he shouldn’t be seen doing magic; technically, he shouldn’t have a wand.


Minerva was brought out of her musings when she heard Hagrid’s greeting. 


“Hello, there, Professor McGonagall.” Hagrid’s tone was low. “Am I going to be sacked?”


“What?” Minerva asked, surprised at the question. “No. Why would you think that?”


“Because of what happened,” Hagrid said. 


“What happened with Harry was much bigger than just last night. But it is the reason I am here.”


“Yes, ma’am.”


“Did you talk with Professor Quirrell about wanting help in tracking down injured Unicorn foals in the forest?” Minerva asked. 


“No, professor,” Hagrid adamantly said, shaking his head to force the point across. “I ran into him one evening. I guess he was walking the grounds. Most professors do, I noticed,” Hagrid shrugged, “so I didn’t think anything different. He asked where I was going since I had my crossbow. I told him about the poor foals I’d been finding. I was surprised to see Harry last night.”


“Thank you, Hagrid,” Minerva said. A small smile graced her lips. “And stop worrying. Harry’s fine. I’m sure he’ll be back here again. Just stay at your hut next time.”


“Yes, professor,” Hagrid said. As Minerva left and headed back towards the castle. 


____000___000___000  

It was a bright sunny day. Unusual for Surrey, but it brought peacefulness to the air. Petunia usually wasn’t the one to pick up the newspaper from the front stoop, but what could she do? That boy wasn’t here to do it. 


She walked back into the house to start making breakfast. She didn’t like to cook. It wasn’t that she couldn’t cook. But why should she have to when she had a freak that could take on that chore. But, again, the boy wasn’t there. He was at that school. It would have been so much easier if he went to Stonewall. He would be here now, making breakfast before leaving. Now, she was stuck doing it. 


Petunia hated Hogwarts. They thought they were so special. She hated Lily for being “special.” Everyone doted on her. But Petunia, no, she was the oddball. She was a normal human, and she was the oddball.


Well, she wasn’t the oddball now. She had a normal husband and a normal child: her Duddikins. She loved her son. And she was going to prove that her son was better than that freak they were saddled with. That boy will feel everything she went through growing up. And she would give her son the stars.


Knowing what she was doing for her son boosted her spirits enough to forget she didn’t like the chore of cooking. She got to work making the best breakfast for her husband and son. 


___000___000___000

Albus stood under the signpost indicating that the two streets at the intersection were Magnolia Street and Privet Drive. It was ten years ago Albus stood at the very spot waiting for Hagrid to bring baby Harry. 


The Headmaster rarely delved into those horrible days. The loss, betrayal, and anger were all around. The Prewett twins were a force to be reckoned with. Learning of their passing was a hard blow. The attack on the Longbottoms was gut-wrenching. Frank and Alice were powerful Aurors. For them to be tortured to the point of madness. The only blessing was that baby Neville was not home. But the hardest for Albus was the death of the Potters. He personally put safety guards that should have protected them. The fact that someone was able to get past those wards was disconcerting. He knew that when he placed Harry with his family, the wards would be stronger. He would not make that same mistake again.


Coming out of that memory, Albus once again made the mistake of trusting the protection wards he put on Harry’s house. It seemed to protect him from those who wished to harm the child outside the home but failed to protect him from within the home. But never would Albus think that Harry would need protection from his family. 


Albus wanted to go to Number Four, and he would. But it would be best for all involved that he calmed down first. 


___000___000___000

Petunia was plating the last of the breakfast. She could hear both of her loves walking around upstairs. She knew they could smell the food cooking. 


There was a knock at the door. Petunia wiped her hands on her floral apron as she walked to the door. 


“Hello,” Petunia said as she opened the door and froze.


Petunia had heard tales from her sister and the creepy boy she hung around with during the summer months. Seeing the man in front of her, Petunia knew, even though she’d never seen the man, he was the Headmaster of the school. It seemed his ice-cold blue eyes bore down into her soul. She was frightened. Never had she met someone that alluded this much energy and presence to make a person fear for their life. 


“Mrs. Dursley,” Albus said. “I believe it is time I spoke with you and your husband.”


“Wh-what are you doing here?” Petunia asked when she finally found her voice. 


“Invite me in,” Albus said. 


Albus’ tone was not his usual grandfatherly one. It had been a long time since he let out his anger.


A shiver went through Petunia as she stepped back. The idea of refusing his request didn’t enter her mind. Something told her if she didn’t let him in, it would not have ended well. 


Albus walked into the house. He saw the steps that led upstairs. He continued further into the house until he came upon a small door that was under said stairs. He placed his hand on the small door. This was where Harry had been living all these years. The aroma of food wafted through the air. If Harry were here, it would have been he who had to prepare it. Albus walked through the door that led towards the kitchen. On the table were several platters of food: grilled tomatoes, eggs, bacon, and baked beans. The amount of food could feed a small regimen. And there wasn’t enough of this to give Harry a serving. 


The more Albus looked at the food, the more the anger in him grew. He held his hand outstretched towards the food and balled his fingers into a fist. The food on the table turned sour. The aroma of a freshly cooked meal turned into the toxic smell of waste. 


Petunia rushed into the kitchen just when the food turned. How dare he destroy her family’s breakfast.  


“What did you do to my food?” Petunia screeched.  


Her protest about the food died in her throat at the look she was receiving.  


“What is that smell?” a male’s voice roared from upstairs.


“I gather that would be Mr. Dursley?” Albus asked Petunia.


Petunia was only able to nod. Albus walked out of the kitchen and saw a huge man clamoring down the stairs. 


“Who the hell are you?” Vernon growled. “And what are you doing in my house?”


“I am Albus Dumbledore. I’m the Headmaster of Hogwarts.”


“Get out of my house,” Vernon roared. His face was turning a dark shade of red. It was almost purple. “I will not have you Freaks disrupting our lives. We sent the boy there. I don’t expect that Freak to return.”


Albus was not fazed by the rantings that spewed out of the male muggle’s mouth. He let the man continue. Albus looked over at Petunia and saw she was growing paler by the minute. Albus heard footsteps at the top of the stairs. When he looked at the young male Dursley, his anger reached the tipping point. 


The child was three times larger than Harry. Three times. Albus had seen all he needed to. 


“Enough.” 


Albus’ tone wasn’t any louder than if he were talking to someone in his chambers, but the force of power behind it vibrated the windows. 


Vernon’s tirade stopped immediately.


Albus looked up at the child. Waving his hand, Albus said, “Come down, child.”


As if cursed by a spell, Dudley walked down the stairs until he stood next to his father. 


“What is your name, child?” Albus asked. 


Petunia was about to object to Albus speaking to her son, but the glare she received from the wizened wizard kept her mouth closed.


“Uh, Dudley, sir,” Dudley squeaked. As he looked at the old man standing in front of him, he had never felt this intimidated before. There was something about this man that terrified him. 


“I believe it is time for you to go to school,” Albus declared. 


“But I haven’t had breakfast,” Dudley whined. 


Albus snapped his fingers. The child’s school items appeared in front of them.


“I will not have that freak magic–” Vernon started until he was cut off. 


Albus waved his hand and silenced the rotund man. He was tired of listening to him. 


Albus said. “I’m sure your school serves food. Good day.”


Dudley was about to say something more, but seeing his mother shaking her head, he grabbed his things and stomped outside. 


“I see you spoil the child, Petunia,” Albus observed. “Now that the young one is off to school, I believe we can have our conversation. Shall we sit?”


Without being escorted or given permission, Albus walked into the sitting room and made himself comfortable in a flowery wingback chair by the fireplace. 


Petunia and Vernon followed the Headmaster inside. They sat on the small sofa adjacent to the chair. 


“Now,” Albus began, “I want to discuss your treatment of Harry Potter.” 


Albus saw Vernon was trying to talk, but since he had the silencing charm on the man, no sound emerged from him. 


“We did nothing wrong,” Petunia defended. “He’s alive. He had a roof over his head. He was given food. And we taught him the importance of hard work.”


Albus tilted his head, looking over his half-moon glasses, and raising an eyebrow at the woman. 


There was a tension growing around the room. Albus didn’t speak. Vernon finally stopped trying to. And Petunia started getting nervous. 


Albus' eyes bore into Petunia. She felt like he was looking into her soul. The feeling disturbed her. 


After a long moment of intense silence, Albus finally spoke, “So, if I’m to understand you correctly, as long as young Harry received the minimum basics of care, everything should be fine?”


Neither Vernon nor Petunia try to answer the Headmaster’s question. Which showed Albus that they knew the two Dursley adults had taken things too far. 


“Well,” Albus continued, “since you feel that’s all that is needed to produce a healthy, happy child, then let's see you live like that.”


Before either Dursley could form their disagreement, everything in the house changed. All the luxuries that adorned the house disappeared. The television. The decorated trinkets that lined the mantel. The distinct sounds of popping could be heard throughout the house. When the noise was silenced, Albus looked over at the distraught couple. 


“You had one job to do,” Albus said, shaking his head. “Petunia, my dear, if you didn’t want the responsibilities of taking care of Harry, all you had to do was contact me. I know you knew how?” 


Vernon's shocked look went from his wife to the Headmaster and back to his wife. 


Albus could see the questioning look in the male Dursley, so he decided to give the man the answers he was seeking. 


“When Petunia’s sister, Lily, got her letter stating that she was accepted into Hogwarts,” Albus started. “Petunia wrote to me several times asking if she could attend as well. She wanted to come.”


Petunia’s face was beet red as tears streamed down her face. She never told her husband that, nor did she expect it to come back and haunt her. 


“Well, I will leave you two,” Albus said, standing up. “I’ve held my anger long enough.” He walked over to the door that led out to the foyer. “Oh, one more thing. Since you do not wish for young Harry to be here, he will not return. Good day.” 


Albus turned and disappeared from the house. 


Once Albus left, Vernon was able to speak. Petunia looked around her now desolate house. All of her pretty decorations were gone. She got up and left the sitting room. She could tell that Vernon wanted to talk, but she didn’t.


A sharp gasp escaped her mouth when she saw what her kitchen looked like. More tears spilled. 


The phone rang.


“Hello,” Petunia answered, making her voice sound normal. “Yes, this is she. I don’t understand. But you can’t. He must go to Smelting. But. No. Please.” A clicking sound made Petunia take the receiver from her ear. 


Vernon had walked in during her time on the phone.


“What’s the matter?” Vernon asked. “What happened?”


“Dudley’s been kicked out of Smelting,” Petunia screeched. “They said he had been bullying the other students. They have a zero tolerance policy, and they are sending him home.”


Vernon was about to reply to that, but the knocking on the door interrupted him. Vernon went to the door. He was speechless when he saw that his car was being towed out of his driveway.


“Wh-what is the meaning of this?” Vernon shouted when he got his voice. 


“I received this notice for a Vernon Dursley.” The man in blue coveralls said. “This is from Grunning. They are taking back the car.” 


“How am I supposed to get to work?” Vernon asked indignantly. 


“There’s always public transportation,” the man finishing up hooking the car, wearing the same blue coveralls, called out laughing. 


Petunia stood in the middle of the foyer and cried. It never failed. Lily would always be the special one. Nothing ever worked for Petunia. She lost all of her special trinkets. Vernon was losing his car. And Dudley, her precious baby, was getting kicked out of the most prestigious schools in the area.  


___000___000___000

Albus left the Dursleys not feeling better but definitely not feeling any worse. The last thing he did before leaving was removing the Blood Wards that were erected when he placed Harry there. 


Albus walked over to where his Pheonix stood. He rubbed his fingers over the majestic bird’s feathers. Fauks started to trill. The soothing sounds began to calm Albus.

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 16: Haunting Past by mandancie
Author's Notes:
A/N: (___~~~) indicates the past.

___~~~___~~~___~~~

Albus was sitting in one of the booths of The Three Broomsticks. He had just finished a very intriguing interview with Sybil Trelawny. The Headmaster knew of the gift of the seer within the family. And bless her heart, Albus knew that dear Sybil did not possess that gift. But something did happen during their talk that led Albus to the decision he made. 


Sybil was in the process of gathering her things from her home and having them transported to Hogwarts. Albus knew she had to be protected. And if giving her protection under the guise of a teaching position, so be it. 


A commotion in the front of the pub brought Albus out of his thoughts. He got up to investigate and saw one of Rosemertta’s barmen tangling with a smaller man. When Albus got a better look at the boy, he recognized him immediately.


“Is there a problem?” Albus asked.


The barman had the boy’s robes in a strong grip. So strong, that the child looked like he was almost choking. 


“Release the child,” Albus ordered softly.


“He snuck in here,” the barman growled. “He’s been eavesdropping. I saw him.”


“I will not ask again,” Albus said. 


“Fine,” the barman sneered, pushing the boy away from him. “Whatever.”


Albus reached out and caught the teen before he fell. He looked over the boy, checking to make sure he was unharmed. When he was satisfied that the teen was unharmed, he escorted the boy back to the table he was previously sitting.


“Sit down, Mr. Snape,” Albus said, luring the boy to one of the chairs.


Severus sat down; head bent. His hair blanketed her face.


“Severus,” Albus called softly. “Please look at me.”


Ever so slowly, Severus looked up at his Headmaster. Albus could see the boy was trying to shield himself from whatever was about to happen.


“Severus, why are you here?” Albus asked. “I don’t believe this is one of the Hogsmead-sanctioned visits.”


Severus lowered his head and didn’t reply.


“I have all the time in the world,” Albus said. “You on the other hand…”


There was a long beat of silence between the older and younger wizards. Albus had a small smile on his face because he wanted to see how long it would take for Severus Snape to cave. He admired how long the child was holding out. 


Albus figured they were going to be there for a while, so he ordered a pot of tea and biscuits. 


After about thirty minutes, Severus started to get antsy. He started fidgeting. Albus sat calmly, sipping on his tea. 


“You are welcome to drink some of your tea,” Albus calmly said. “I will not withhold food or drink from you, even when you’re being stubborn.”


His eyes twinkled as he watched the indecision pass over the child’s face. Albus figured Severus didn’t know how to take that. At that moment he saw something different in the child. It pained him. Had no one ever said that to him? What had the child been through?


Albus was about to ask his question when Severus opened his mouth. 


“I can’t tell you,” Severus whispered.


“What can’t you tell me?” Albus inquired. “Did someone make you come here?”


Severus opened his mouth as if he would speak, but he quickly closed it. Severus prided himself on being able to hide his emotions. He learned early on that emotions were a sign of weakness. He couldn’t be weak. Not where he lived. Not in school. Nowhere. 


Albus didn’t like what he was seeing. At first, he thought Severus was just being defiant. But now, there seemed to be some underlying issues that he feared to talk about. Looking around the pub, it seemed empty, but Albus was no fool. He knew that things are never as they appeared. 


Albus abruptly stood, reaching for Severus’ arm. When Severus stood a small parchment fell from his robes. Before the teen could reach down to retrieve it, it floated into Albus’ hands. 


“Come child,” Albus said, pocketing the parchment. Albus turned Severus towards the entrance to the pub and the two of them walked out. He gripped Severus’ arm tightly. 


“One of the benefits of being Headmaster-,” Albus said before both wizards disappeared from the streets. 


Severus, not being ready for apparating, almost collapsed on the floor of Albus’ chambers if said man wasn’t still holding his arm.


“-The Headmaster is the only person who can apparate in and out of the castle,” Albus finished. 


“A little warning next time,” Severus snapped without thinking. 


The minute the words left his mouth, what little color he had on his face left him. He had just mouthed off the Headmaster. What was going to happen to him now? 


“Have a seat, Mr. Snape,” Albus said, walking behind his desk and sitting down. 


“Please forgive me, Headmaster,” Severus pleaded. “I didn’t mean to say that.”


Albus had a small smile on his face and extended his hand towards the chair across from him. “Sit, please.”


Severus cautiously walked towards the purple overly plush chair the Headmaster referred to. He looked to the Headmaster and saw the man nodding as he slowly sat down. 


It was pretty comfortable. He figured it would be the last time he would be comfortable before he was kicked out for yelling at the Headmaster. 


Albus noticed how much he was able to read Severus now. He heard tales about the Headmaster’s office before but had never seen it before now.


“Severus, my dear boy,” Albus soothed. “Please calm yourself. You are fine.”


Severus looked skeptical at the Headmaster. Severus felt anything but fine. How was he supposed to calm himself? After the language and attitude he just gave to the Headmaster, how was he fine?


“Dear child,” Albus soothed. “You are correct. I should have warned you about our manner of transport, but I was in a rush to know what you were doing.”


Severus just looked at the Headmaster. He was correct? That was not something he expected the professor to say. 


“Now,” Albus started, leaning back in his chair and rubbing his beard. “I want you to tell me who put you up to sneaking out of the castle.”


For the next forty-five minutes, Severus spoke about everything that he learned from some of the older Slytherins. He talked about how he was bullied into leaving the castle, and what would happen if he didn’t do it. He spoke about the indifference he felt from some of the other professors towards him.


Albus listened with rapt attention. The more Severus talked, the angrier Albus became. Albus knew Severus Snape was a loner. The only other person he saw the boy with was the sweet Gryffindor, Ms. Evans. 


While Severus talked, he pulled at his robes causing them to slide off one shoulder. It pulled his shirt. Severus’ neck was exposed. That caught Albus’ attention.


“Mr. Snape.” Albus cut the boy off, raising his hand. “What happened?” Albus pointed towards the child.


“What happened where?” Severus replied. He didn’t know what the professor was talking about. 


“Come to me, please,” Albus said, moving his chair back. 


Severus’ home life had taught him to never be within striking distance. It never went well. Especially, when his dad was drunk. But for some strange reason, he went to the Headmaster.


Standing in front of Albus, Severus tried to hide his nervousness. It felt weird being so close to the Headmaster but also felt comforting. He saw Albus reach for him. It surprised him that he didn’t feel the need to back away.


Albus got a closer look at Severus’ neck. Anger filled the elderly man, thinking that the barman at The Three Broomsticks had caused Severus to get those bruises from how he was holding the child. He was about to ask if it still hurt when he saw it was an older bruise. 


Albus looked at the teen standing in front of him. “Who hurt you, child?”


That one question opened up a dam. Severus lowered his head and started crying. He didn’t know if it was the question or the comforting way it was asked that affected him so. The tears started flowing and they couldn’t stop.  


The sudden tears broke Albus’ heart. Without saying a word, he stood in front of the boy, wrapping his arms around him. The way Severus melded into his arms, led Albus to believe that no one had ever comforted the child before.


___~~~___~~~___~~~


The sound of the floo going off brought Albus out of his reminiscing. 


Severus walked over to the desk and sat down on the overly plush chair that sat across Albus’ desk.


“I know you are a meddling old fool,” Severus snarled. “But tell me you didn’t set this up.”


“Where is Harry?” Albus asked. 


“He’s asleep,” Severus growled. “Answer me. Did you plan on Harry revealing his past as you did in the past with me?”


Albus looked at his adopted boy. Remembering the beginning of Severus becoming his son brought back old feelings. 


“I did not intend for this to happen,” Albus said. “Neither time did I plan on that information to come out. I did want information from you as well as young Harry. The revealing of the abuse you and Harry went through was just a byproduct of this room.”


Severus stared at Albus for a moment before sagging into the chair with a loud sigh. 


“He was abused,” Severus said. 


“Yes, he was,” Albus confirmed. 


“Albus-”


“He will not be going back,” Albus declared. “I made that mistake with you. I will not make it again.”


Severus didn’t know how to take that statement. Ever since the adoption, it had always been hard for him to accept Albus’ feelings toward him. 


“To ease your anger,” Albus said. “The reason I brought Mr. Potter here was to see if I could find out how he got separated from Hagrid. Even if he doesn’t remember, his body and mind would still know. Only his conscious mind was affected. I was just as shocked as you when he started spilling about what he goes through in that house.”


It was quiet for a moment before Severus spoke again. 


“What happened with Petunia?”


“What makes you assume that I would know?” Albus inquired.


“I know you, dad,” Severus smirked. “Don’t think I don’t know what you did with my father. I suspect that you did something, so I wouldn’t have to.”


“My boy,” Albus said proudly. His eyes twinkled. “What brilliance.”


Severus rolled his eyes. 


“Let’s just say they reaped what they sowed.” Albus’ tone changed when he asked, “How is Harry doing?”


“I don’t know,” Severus answered. “I guess only time will tell. Right now, I don’t think he believes that anything that happened to him was wrong.”


“Well, we’ll just have to dissuade him of that notion,” Albus said. “I am surprised he isn’t attached to you,” Albus smirked.


Severus glared at the old man sitting across from him. Leave it to Albus to try to change the mood of the room. 


“I said he’s asleep,” Severus said. “He was emotionally exhausted, so I put him in my bed.”


Albus was about to reply when a rolled parchment popped on his desk. Both wizards knew that only a select few places had the power to send messages in this manner.


Severus got up, “I’ll be in my chambers.”


“No,” Albus said, reading the missive. “I think you will need to come with me.”


“What’s going on?” Severus asked his brow knitting together.


Albus looked up at his son. “Go get Harry. I’ll call Minerva.”


“What is it?” Severus asked, walking back to Albus’ desk.


“I’ll tell you, but go get Harry,” Albus said urgently. “Now.”


Severus looked at Albus for a moment then turned and floo’ed back to his chambers. 


When the green flames disappeared from the hearth, Albus looked back down at the parchment in his hands. Absently, he waved his hand and sent out his phoenix Patronus.


___000___000___000

Bill was sitting in Griphook’s office. He hated how things turned out. The Goblins were trying to keep this debacle from leaking out. Bill hated that he was the one to give them the news, but it was his job.


The scandal the bank wanted to squash would be huge. Not only did something nefarious happen within the bank, but who the person was that was wronged. Harry Potter was a celebrity in the Wizarding Community. Although from what Bill gathered when he met Harry, the child either didn’t know or didn’t care about his status. 


Griphook was able to find the Elf that put the spell on the Will. She was surprised that she did something so awful. After apologizing profusely and punishing herself, Griphook cast an archaic spell on the Elf. It was learned that an Unforgivable was placed on the Elf, so she didn’t know who ordered her to create this problem. 


The Elf was now in one of the Goblins’ charm-removal rooms. With the right combination of spells and charms, the identity of the culprit would be forthcoming.


Bill figured his job was finished since he identified the charm and runes that were put on the parchment. He was surprised when he got another summons to come to Griphook’s office.


The door opened bringing Bill out of his thoughts. He was shocked by who came in. Professors Dumbledore and Snape along with Harry. Bill stood up to greet everyone.


“Professor Dumbledore,” Bill said. “Professor Snape. Is everything alright?”


“We were summoned,” Albus replied.


Before Bill could respond, Griphook walked into the door.


“You’re all here,” Griphook groused. “Sit, please.” Griphook walked to the other side of his desk and sat down. 


Severus and Albus took the two remaining chairs. Harry stood by the wall in the corner of the room. Severus saw that Harry was basically hiding, trying to look as unimposing as possible. The child was already twisting his fingers in his robes. Harry looked at Severus; without saying a word, Severus crooked his finger beckoning the child to him. Without hesitation, Harry walked over to him.


Severus pulled the child until he was standing in front of him. Severus, once again, freed the boy’s fingers. Severus knew Harry was nervous. The child couldn’t help it, but he was determined to get the child to calm down enough to stop the painful habits he had.


“Shall we begin?” Griphook said. “Mr. Potter,” Harry turned to face the Goblin, “there seems that there was a blunder in regards to your parents’ Will.”


Hearing that there was something about his parents, Harry perked up. Harry wanted to soak in whatever news he could learn about his parents.


Severus noticed that Harry stayed in front of him and he was leaning on his leg for support.


“Your parents’ Will,” Griphook continued, “was to have been read ten years ago.”


Severus’ brow furrowed at that information. He wanted to wait until he heard everything before commenting, but he couldn’t hold his tongue. “What was the reason why it wasn’t read?”


Griphook actually paled a little. 


Severus was surprised to see that reaction. Normally, Goblins were well refined. Strictly business-like. Emotions did not mix when dealing with money. It was the main reason Severus respected Goblins. But this was suspicious.


Bill spoke up, “It seems that there was a charm placed on the Will that prevented access to it.”


Severus looked from Griphook to Mr. Weasley and back to Griphook. The was unprecedented. Learning that his best friend’s Will was by all accounts missing was disconcerting. 


Griphook cleared his throat and continued on. “We now have the Will and I thought it was high time it was read.”


Griphook was about to read the Will, but Albus said nothing just held out his hand.


Severus looked over at the Headmaster and could see that the older wizard was angry. There was no twinkle in the man’s ice-blue eyes. With his ability to feel others’ magical signatures, Severus could feel his adopted father’s magic flowing off him in waves. 


Almost in a trance, Griphook reached over his desk, handing the parchment over to the Headmaster of Hogwarts.


Albus read the Will in silence. The entire room was quiet. After a few minutes, a small smile began to form on Albus’ mouth.


“Professor Dumbledore,” Harry’s voice broke through the silence in the room. 


“Yes, child,” Albus said, looking up at the boy.


“Is everything okay?” Harry asked. 


“Yes, child,” Albus said, handing the Will over to Severus. “It will be okay now.” His normal twinkle came back in full force.


Harry watched his safety as he read the parchment. He wanted to ask what it said, but he didn’t want to disturb him. 


Severus looked at the small child in front of him to the Headmaster and back to Harry. 


“Are you serious?” Severus asked Albus.


Harry wondered what his professor was talking about. 


“They were her wishes,” Albus replied, smiling. 


Severus couldn’t believe what he was reading. He had always thought that she didn’t forgive him. He had tried and tried for months to apologize for what slipped out that dreadful day. He hated himself ever since that day. It was that day that truly turned his life into a cruel miserable existence. The only light, though he would never admit it to the old coot, was being adopted by Albus. 


She forgave him. Lily forgave him. She made him- 


Not able to hold back anymore, Harry asked, “Professor Snape, what does it say?”


“It seems, Harry,” Severus said. “If your parents passed away, you were to come to me. I was named your Godfather.”


It took a second for Harry to comprehend what his safety just said to him. He remembered Hagrid telling him that his mum and Professor Snape were best friends. Growing up, he always wanted to have some kind of connection with his parents. He didn’t get that from Aunt Petunia. She hated him. He tried to get her to like him, but it didn’t matter what he did. 


His mind continued to wander to what he lived through and the fact that if that paper would have been found earlier he could have been with his safety a long time ago. Tears blurred his eyes as all the hatred, pain, and heartache he lived through. All the beatings and the bullying. 


Severus could feel a more powerful magical wave emitting from someone. He knew who it was from and he reached out to the child and tried to defuse the situation. But a second before he reached for Harry’s arm. The child turned and faced the Goblin sitting at his desk. 


What happened next was immediate. The wall behind Griphook exploded with a loud blast. Griphook was thrown out of his chair and through the hole that was once the wall. Other Goblins came rushing in to see what the commotion was.


When Severus touched Harry’s arm, the child turned back to his safety and collapsed into his arms. Harry wrapped his arms around Severus' neck and began crying.  


___000___000___000

Albus and Severus were back at Hogwarts. Harry refused to let Severus go, not that he was going to release the child. Learning that Harry was supposed to be with him and knowing what the child lived through, Severus wasn’t in a hurry to let the child go. 


After saying their farewells to Bill Weasley, the trio tried to leave Gringotts. They were stopped by a few Goblins asking if they would keep the unfortunate circumstance quiet. The wizards did not feel agreeable because of the damage that was caused by their “unfortunate circumstance.” They left without a word and came straight back to the school.


Harry had long since stopped crying. But he didn’t want to let his safety go. He kept his firm grip on Professor Snape’s robes. Someone would have to pry the grabbed cloth from his fingers for him to let go. Hearing that they were back at Hogwarts, Harry remembered what the Sorting Hat told him when he was getting sorted. 


“You have an ally here. Someone who will fight for you.”


The hat was right. Professor Snape fought for me. He protected me. And now, he learned his professor was his Godfather. 


Minerva walked into Albus’ chambers and saw Albus behind his desk and Severus in one of the chairs with Harry on his lap.


“Ah, my dear,” Albus welcomed his Deputy Headmistress.


“What happened?” Minerva asked, sitting in the chair next to Severus.


“It seems there was a huge blunder at Gringotts,” Albus said.


“A blunder? At Gringotts?” Minerva asked. “No. Impossible.”


Albus pulled a rolled parchment from his robes and floated it over to Minerva. She grabbed it, put on her reading glasses that always hung around her neck, and began reading. 


Her expression changed as she read; from neutral, to angry, to furious. She took off her glasses and looked at Severus and Albus.


“Where was this?” Minerva asked, waving the Will in her hand.


“It seems that it was lost,” Severus answered. “They didn’t learn about it until a month ago.”


“Yes,” Albus continued. “They assigned Bill Weasley to check on the authenticity of the parchment.”


“Was that why he was here?” Minerva asked. 


“Yes.” Albus nodded. “He wanted to know who put the runes that were on the Will. I along with his late twin uncles designed the runes. I was unaware that it had been lost for ten years.”


“Well, Severus,” Minerva said, smirking at the Potions Master. “It seems that you now have a Godson.”


Severus knew after everything he said at the end of summer and the beginning of the school year, those two geezers would not let him live it down.


“It appears so,” Severus said.


“Harry,” Minerva called.


Without lifting his head, Harry turned and looked at his Transfiguration professor and smiled. 


“Are you happy you found out you have a Godfather?”


Harry nodded enthusiastically. “He’s my safety.”


“That he is, Harry,” Albus said. “That he is.”


Severus rolled his eyes. 


TBC 

To be continued...
Chapter 17: Getting Ready for Christmas by mandancie

So many things had happened to Harry in the past few months. He learned that he was a wizard. He got to go to this amazing school that looked like the castle popped out of one of his favorite storybooks he read when he snuck into the local library on those days he hid from Dudley and his friends. He would lose himself in the books. It was one of the few things that made living with his relatives bearable. He learned that he could fly on a broom. He wasn’t a freak in this school. He had friends. He had his owl, Hedwig. She was his first present. He would visit her as much as he could during the day. The weekends were the best times. Sometimes she would come into the dorm and stay on the headboard of his bed. But the best thing that happened to him was finding out he had a Godfather. He had a secure place where he knew nothing or no one could hurt him. 


It was getting close to Christmas break. The Great Hall had several trees decorated. There were four in the back of the hall. Each was decorated in the different House colors. After finishing his homework, Harry looked at the trees closely. 


When he was with his relatives, he couldn’t decorate the tree. He couldn’t even look at it. Well, he wasn’t supposed to, but he would sneak in at night, on the nights that he wasn’t locked in his cupboard, and just sit on the floor and look at the different lights as they flashed bright and then dimmed. 


The Gryffindor tree was decorated in Maroon and Gold ribbons. There were glowing baubles that changed in color. The ornaments were wood carvings of griffins and lions. There were shields that had the Gryffindor crest on them. 


The Ravenclaw tree was decorated in its house colors. There were animated ravens that soared their wings. The baubles were filled with snowcapped mountains with snow falling from the sky. A huge plaque with the house crest's carving sat on the top of the tree.


Harry walked over to the Hufflepuff’s tree. He couldn’t help but smile when he saw how it was decorated. The colors, of course, were its house colors, but the ribbons that draped over the tree limbs had badgers’ heads popping in and out of their setts. Each one donned a Christmas hat with a small bell at the tip. Harry could swear he could hear the bells jingle. Like Gryffindor’s tree, the baubles on the tree changed their color to match their House.


Harry walked over to the last tree on the wall's far side. It wasn’t set alone. Actually, each tree was evenly separated. Harry felt that this tree meant more to him even though he was a Gryffindor, and he loved their tree. He figured it was because it was his Godfather’s house. The green and silver sashes crisscrossed around the tree. There were translucent green and silver baubles that had snow-covered trees in them. Harry was mesmerized by it. He could see centaurs walking around the trees. There were wood carvings of the ‘S’ hanging from the limbs. Like Ravenclaw, there was a large wooden plaque with the House crest on it. 


“Enjoying yourself?”


Harry jumped at the voice. He quickly turned around and saw the Headmaster standing at the Great Hall’s entrance.


“Hi, Headmaster,” Harry murmured. His voice was low and timid. It was weird that the Headmaster would be here. Harry figured he could go wherever he wanted since he was the Headmaster.


“Come, young one,” Albus said, holding out his hand. 


Harry walked over to the Headmaster. 


“The trees are really pretty,” Harry said when he got to Albus’ side. 


“They are,” Albus agreed. “I, too, would sometimes stand in front of them and just admire them. But, I wouldn’t think you would want to spend the last few days cooped up inside when you could be out with your friends.”


“Yes, sir,” Harry said and ran off towards the stairs.


___000___000___000

Harry sat on his bed as he watched his dormmates pack their things. He wasn’t jealous that they were leaving. He was sad that he would be in the room alone. The boy had got accustomed to being in the room with someone. 


“Harry,” Ron called as he walked over to the side of his friend’s bed. “Are you sure you’ll be alright here? I could ask my mom if you could come too. Plus, my brother, Charlie, also wrote to me the other day that he’s going to try and come home. He works on a Dragon Preserve. He always has the best stories.”


“That’s okay, Ron,” Harry said. “I’ll be fine. You can tell me the stories when you come back.”


Harry appreciated the thought. And it was tempting to take Ron up on his offer, but he didn’t want to be a bother. He didn’t want to ruin their Christmas. 


“I don’t want you to be alone on Christmas,” Ron sighed. 


“Won’t be the first time,” Harry assured his friend. “I’ll probably go to Hagrid’s. Play around with Fang.”


Ron nodded but didn’t seem convinced. 


___000___000___000

The next day, everyone that was leaving for the Christmas holidays got into the horseless carriages. Very few children were staying at the castle. Harry and twelve other children were staying at Hogwarts for the holiday break. 


Harry stood at the door and saw his friends ride off. He couldn’t keep the smile off his face. Not that he was happy to be alone, but their excitement brought on his. Before the twins climbed into one of the carriages, they promised to send Harry some things during the holiday that would keep him occupied. Harry loved the twins. They always made him smile. They treated him like a brother. More so after the bludger accident. Harry hated that they felt bad. It was an accident. He knew the twins would never purposely hurt him.


“What are you standing out here for, Potter?” Draco sneered, walking up to him. His entourage was behind him. All of them had their trunks. 


Harry didn’t want to deal with them. He was feeling happy about his friends leaving. The last person he wanted to see was Malfoy. Harry hated bullies. He had enough of that while he was home. He lived with the two biggest bullies. 


“And where are your things?” Draco continued. “Not welcome back home. Your family doesn’t treat the Great Harry Potter like a prince?”


A few of the other Slytherin began to laugh.


Harry didn’t care about going home. He loved that he could be here and see how Christmas would be. He didn’t have to worry about being left out. 


Harry didn’t respond to any of Draco’s questions. Not that the blond-headed boy was looking for one. Harry watched as he saw them load up into the last carriage. Just watching them climb inside gave Harry a calm feeling. He didn’t have to worry about Malfoy for the next three weeks.  


When the last sight of the carriages was gone, Harry turned back to go into the castle. It didn’t seem so bad when he first told Ron that he would be fine after they left. Now that it had happened, Harry truly felt alone. A chill went up his spine as he walked through the front doors. He felt so tiny in the huge castle. He wanted his safety. He hadn’t seen his professor since finding out that he was his Godfather. 


It wasn’t that he felt he was being rejected; he just figured Professor Snape would be busy with work. But now that everybody was gone, it was a great time to go to his safety. 


As he walked down the corridors that led to the Potions classroom, Harry felt like someone was following him. The further he walked, the more intense the feeling became, and knew that someone was after him. 


The feeling of being followed intensified again when he heard footsteps behind him. He didn’t want to look. Harry’s heart felt like it was going to punch through his chest. He could see his refuge at the end of the corridor. But it seemed that the faster he walked, the further the door got. 


Harry took off in a full run. He was scared to look behind him. He didn’t want to know who was after him. He just wanted to get to his safety. He wanted to scream out, but it seemed that his voice wouldn’t work. 


Harry finally was getting closer to the door. He could see his destination so close. 


___000___000___000

Severus didn’t want to admit to himself that he was missing his spider monkey. It had been a week since he had personal time with the child. Yes, he saw the boy during meal time and in class, but he didn’t seek the child out, nor did the child seek him out. 


In the beginning, he felt smothered. He didn’t have his peace. But now that he had his peace, he was feeling lonely. He could just send for the child. It wasn’t like the boy would say no. Actually, his spider monkey would attach himself to his person and refuse to let go. 


It was shocking to learn that Lily had named him Harry’s Godfather. He always thought that what he did was so unforgivable. He remembered all those many nights of pleading at the Gryffindor’s portrait, asking to speak with her. He groveled. She would not speak to him. Yes, before she died, he got a message from her saying she wanted to meet. That there was something important, she wanted to tell him. And that in no uncertain terms that she wouldn’t take no for an answer. She wanted things to be different. He didn’t know what she meant. He had hoped that she was willing to allow their friendship to continue. After reading the Will, Severus could summarize why she wanted to see him. 


Two nights after learning about his new relationship with Harry, Severus sat in his chair with a tumbler filled with his favorite drink, reminiscing on his best friend. All the different times they sat and talked. He thought about the nights he stayed with her and her parents when Tobias had too much to drink. How they snuck to the Astronomy Tower to do homework so they wouldn’t be bothered or bullied because they were from two rival Houses.  


When he saw the fire turned green, “Go away,” Severus growled. 


“Now, now, Severus,” Albus said, stepping out of the fireplace. The fire turned back to his orange-red hue.


“I don’t feel like talking.”


“Forgive me, my boy,” Albus said, sitting across from his adopted son. “There is plenty to talk about. The holidays are upon us.”


“They usually descend upon us this time of year,” Severus quipped. 


Albus nodded. “True. True. So, what are you planning on doing?”


Severus looked at the old man sitting across from him. That was a loaded question if Severus ever heard one. The old coot was up to something.


“What do you want, old man?”


“Well, now knowing that you have a godson,” Albus said. His eyes twinkled. It was like two crystal jewels looking at his adopted son. “Do you have plans for young Harry? I know for a fact that the child will be alone in his dorm. It seems like a lonely time for a child who probably never had a normal Christmas.”


“Have you ever known me to care about the holidays?” Severus asked. 


“Hence the reason I’m here,” Albus replied. “You will give Harry a proper Christmas experience.”


Severus said nothing. He just took a sip from his glass. 


“You remember how much fun you had when we celebrated the holidays,” Albus reminisced. 


“I only did that to appease you,” Severus snarled. 


“Sure,” Albus said, not believing his son’s words. “And I supposed if I walked into your room, would I find the first present I gave you?”


“That’s beside the point,” Severus said quickly.


“No, it is the point,” Albus contradicted. “I thought you would like to know that Harry was up in the Great Hall admiring the decorated trees. Maybe you should decorate around here. Make it more cheerful for Harry.”


“What makes you believe that child is going to be here?”


“Stop being contrary,” Albus softly admonished. 


Severus huffed at the admonishment. Albus always had ways of making Severus feel like a small child.


Albus smiled as his eyes continued to twinkle. He got up without another word to his son. He walked out of Severus’ quarters.


Severus sighed. Who was he kidding? Of course, Potter would be down here. Severus set his glass on the small table at his elbow and laid his head back on the chair. For the first time, Severus had to think about what he could get to brighten up his chambers so Harry would have a wonderful Christmas. 


~~~~

It was the day all those miscreants were leaving. The week seemed to drag on the closer to the beginning of the holidays. Severus sat behind his desk. He was supposed to be grading the last of the homework assignments, but he was making a list. 


He wanted to be embarrassed about the items, but the feeling never came as much as he thought. He hated to admit that he was getting excited. The thought of surprising his spider monkey almost brought a smile to his face. He smiled in the safety of his office so he didn’t have to worry about being teased by the two old geezers that were determined to make fun of him.


Severus finished his list, placing it in the inside pocket of his frock coat. He figured there was no time to get his errands done like the present. When he opened the door, he didn’t expect to have a small body crash into him. 


Harry must have been running towards Severus’ door at a full speed. The professor had to take a few steps back to avoid falling from the force of impact. He could feel the child shaking against him. Severus instantly went to alert mode. He flicked his wrist, causing his wand to fall into his hand. His other arm was wrapped around Harry’s shoulders, ready to move the child out of the way of any danger. Looking around, the Potions Master didn’t see any threat. 


Severus replaced his wand in order to concentrate on his spider monkey. “Harry, Harry,” Severus soothed, rubbing the child’s back. He pulled the child’s glasses off as the wired rims were trying to embed themselves into his stomach.


“Can you tell me what has you so scared?” Severus rubbed the child’s back in soothing circles. 


Harry mumbled something. But he refused to be separated. 


Severus learned fast that trying to detach the child from his person would not work, so he lifted the child to his chest by putting his hands under Harry’s arms. And his spider monkey instantly wrapped his limbs around Severus. Shaking his head and closing the door with his foot, Severus walked back to his desk and waited for Harry to calm down. 


___000___000___000

“You fool!” the wheezing voice rasped. 


“Forgive me, my lord,” Quirrell whimpered. “I am trying.”


“How hard is it to get one boy? I would have caught him the first time if I had full control of this insignificant body. You are becoming more problems than you’re worth.”


Quirrell quietly walked out of the storage cupboard he was hiding in. When he saw Severus open his office door, the last thing he needed was for that suspicious Potions Master to see him. He’d been keeping away from the man. He didn’t need him to find anything on him. 


___000___000___000

It didn’t take long for Harry to calm down. The child wasn’t crying, which Severus was thankful for. He rubbed soothing circles on the child’s back, waiting for him to calm down enough to talk.


“Mr. Potter.”


“Yes, sir,” Harry mumbled. 


Slightly shaking his head, “Can you stand on your own and tell me why you crashed into me?”


Sighing, Harry sat back so that he could look at the blurry figure that was his Godfather. He nodded, and with Severus’ help, Harry got off his lap.


“Sorry, sir,” Harry said, lowering his head. He felt a finger hook under his chin, so he looked at his safety.


“No apology needed,” Severus said, placing Harry’s glasses back on his nose. “But something happened. What was it?”


Harry grabbed his robes and was about to wrap them in his fingers but was stopped by Severus pulling the cloth away. Harry looked back at his Professor and was about to suck his bottom lip between his teeth, but thought differently when he saw the look on the man’s face. 


The boy knew that gripping his robes and biting his lip was a bad habit. He wished he could stop, but he couldn’t.


“Potter.”


“I wanted to come visit you since we hadn’t seen each other,” Harry said.


“I do believe we have,” Severus said, sitting back in his chair.


“Well, yeah,” Harry whined. “But it’s not the same. And everybody’s gone. I don’t want to feel alone.”


Severus didn’t say anything. He just nodded. 


“But it felt like someone was following me,” Harry finished. 


“Did you see anyone?” the man asked. Severus didn’t like the idea of someone following the boy. The idea that someone was out for Harry didn’t sit right with Severus. 


Shaking his head, Harry replied, “No. But it was like it took forever to get here. I just wanted to reach the door.”


“Well,” Severus said, holding his worry inside. “There was no one in the corridor when I opened the door. You are safe.”


Harry stood in silence again. He wanted to spend the day with his Godfather, but now he wasn’t so sure if he could. He wanted to ask but didn’t want to know the answer if it was a no. 


Severus could see that Harry wanted to ask him something. The poor child projected his feelings loud and clear. He guessed he could put the poor child out of his misery. The errands he needed to do weren’t something that he had to do alone. And he did want to spend some time with his spider monkey. 


“Potter, I have a few things that I need to do outside the castle. A few shops to go to.”


Oh, Harry thought. Well, he was happy he didn’t ask. He stepped back and was about to leave when he felt a hand on his wrist.


“Would you like to accompany me?” Severus asked. 


One would think that someone just told the boy he won the muggle lottery. The child’s face lit up with joy. He had the biggest smile on his face. He was nodding so hard his hair was going in all directions. 


Severus felt his heart warm, looking at his godson. He couldn’t hide the smirk. Just knowing that he made the child happy elated Severus. Something he hadn’t felt in a very long time. 


“Well,” Severus stood up, “let’s go get your winter robes, then we can leave.” He sent a Patronus to Albus, letting him know what he was doing.


Severus was about to send the boy on his own to the tower but didn’t want to take a chance if there was someone following the child. Keeping Harry safe was something he promised and did not take lightly. Even before he learned that the child was his godson.


___000___000___000

Severus was trying to calm his temper as the two of them walked out of the castle. Just looking at the child broke his heart at what he went through with his relatives. What he had for his winter robes should be burned. There was no way those clothes would protect the small child from the freezing elements. Buying Harry more clothes was just another thing to add to the list of things that needed to be done today. 


Severus didn’t want to embarrass the child when he came out of the portrait. He cast a strong, warming spell over the boy’s clothes. As they walked to the apparition point, well, Severus walked. Harry was skipping. Actually skipping. His arms were swinging back and forth. He looked like he hadn’t a worry in the world. Now that Harry was his responsibility, Severus was going to do his best to ensure it continued that way. Harry’s been through enough.


When the two of them reached the front gate, Severus decided it was time to reign the child in. He watched as the child played with the snow, but there were several places that they needed to go to, so they had to leave.


“Mr. Potter,” Severus called out. Harry looked over at his Professor and ran over towards him. The child’s cheeks were pink from exertion and the cold. “Are you cold?” Severus was worried that the warming charm he placed on the child was not enough.


“It’s okay,” Harry huffed, trying to catch his breath. “I’m not that cold. I’m used to it.” Harry shrugged. 


Severus didn’t like that. 


“Come here.”


Harry stood in front of his godfather. Severus took his hands. Even though Harry had a warming charm over him, Severus could still feel the child’s hands were freezing. It wasn’t a wonder since the gloves were threadbare if that. Not abiding by the thought of the child’s fingers falling off because of frostbite, Severus took off his gloves.


“What are you doing?” Harry asked with concern.


“What does it look like?” Severus asked, reaching out for Harry’s wrist.


“No.” Harry tried to take a step back. “Your hands will get cold. I’m fine. I’m used to it.”


“Mr. Potter,” Severus’ voice was calm, but it didn’t reveal how he was feeling. “You are not going to be out in this snow with ill-equipped clothing. These are to hold you until I can purchase you a proper winter wardrobe.”


“No, that’s okay,” Harry replied. “You don’t have to. That’s too much money.”


Harry wanted to take his Godfather’s gloves off. He felt bad that his hands were warm, and now his Professor’s hands weren’t. But there was something special about having the gloves on. It made Harry feel special. Someone actually took something off of themselves and gave it to the Freak.


Harry had seen other parents do that with their children. There was a time when Aunt Petunia wrapped her coat over Dudley’s head when it started raining. Harry had to stand in the rain and get soaked. He wasn’t allowed to even be near his cousin or his covering.


“I guess it is a good thing I am not asking you,” Severus said. “We will stop at Madam Malkin’s while we are out.”


“But, sir-”


“Potter, the only thing I want to hear is: thank you.”


Harry lowered his head, trying to hide his smile. “Thank you,” he mumbled. He wished he could bottle up this feeling. The elation of knowing that someone wanted to buy him something. And was determined to do it. 


Severus lifted the boy in his arms. “We will have to apparate,” Severus said. “It will be a little jarring, so I want you to hold on. You might feel like you are being pulled from me, but it’s only a feeling. I will not let you go. Understand?”


Harry didn’t know how to take that. He didn’t want to do something that would pull him away. So, he gripped Severus’ robes as tight as possible with the oversized gloves and wrapped his legs around him. 


“3..2..1,” Severus counted down. 


The pulling. 


The squeezing. 


The spinning.


When it felt too much for Harry, it stopped. 


“Are you okay, Harry?”


Harry didn’t want to answer verbally with the queasiness in his stomach, so he just shook his head.


“It will pass,” Severus said, rubbing the child’s back. 


___000___000___000

Bill was finishing up on his last bit of work. He was glad that the day finally ended. He was taking a week off. After the debacle in regards to Harry Potter and his parents’ will, Bill wanted to spend the holidays with his family. 


It was going to be a surprise since he hadn’t spoken to his parents since he went over for dinner. He enjoyed his time with his parents. He didn’t realize how much he missed his family until he had dinner with them and then saw his brothers at Hogwarts.


Bill packed up the last of his notes when an elf popped into his office. Bill closed his eyes and sighed before acknowledging the elf. 


“Master Bill,” the elf squeaked. “You’re needed with Griphook.”


The elf disappeared before Bill could give a reply. 


“So much for leaving on time,” Bill sighed as he got up and headed to Griphooks’ office.  


Not even giving the courtesy of knocking, Bill walked in. He was still upset at what he had discovered. He hadn’t heard if Professors Dumbledore and Snape made good on their threat to let the press know about the mix-up with the Potters’ will.


“Griphook,” Bill said. 


Bill was a little surprised at Griphook’s appearance. Usually, the Goblin would work non-stop, going through rolls of parchment while barking orders to several elves. Now, the Goblin was sitting behind a clear-top desk. No parchment. No scrolls. Not even quills or ink.


Griphook looked up at the oldest Weasley. “Another scroll has come to my attention.”


Bill lowered his head and shook it. This was not good.


Griphook pulled out a scroll from his desk. “This was an addendum to the will. It was to have been read after the will.”


“Do you want me to authenticate it?” Bill asked, reaching out for the scroll.


“No,” Griphook shook his head. “I want you to give this to Professor Dumbledore. It’s addressed to him.”


“You know you can just owl it to him,” Bill said. He usually wasn’t snippy with the Goblins, but after the debacle that he uncovered, the last thing he was feeling was respect for the Goblins. “I am not your messenger. I’m a curse breaker.”


Griphook didn’t reply.


“Wait a minute,” Bill said after a moment. His brow furrowing, “you don’t want to owl this scroll,” pointing at the rolled parchment, “to him. It would give outside proof that Gringotts messed up. That this place isn’t as perfect as you Goblins claim.”


Again, Griphook didn’t reply. 


Bill snatched the scroll out of Griphook’s bony hand. “I’ll take it. But I hope either Dumbledore or Snape comes after you. Better yet, Harry, since the directly affects him.”


This time Griphook couldn’t give Bill a reply as the Weasley walked out of the Goblin’s office and out of the bank.


___000___000___000

Severus walked out of the magical side alley that led to the Leaky Cauldron. Giving Harry a little more time to get over his first apparition, he held the boy while he used his wand to open the brick wall. 


Harry heard the tapping and raised his head just in time to see the bricks move to grant access to Diagon Alley. The place was still magical to him. He remembered coming with Hagrid. There were so many people walking around. 


Now, there weren’t that many witches and wizards walking around. But the buildings and side-posts had Christmas decorations on them. Harry gripped Severus’ robes with one hand and turned his body to get a better look at everything. 


“Would you like to walk, Potter?” Severus inquired softly.


Harry nodded, not saying a word, still in awe at what he saw. Severus lowered the child, putting his hand on Harry’s shoulder; they began their shopping trip.


“Professor?”


“Yes, Harry.”


“What do you have to get?” Harry asked, looking up at Severus.


“Well, first, we are going to Madam Malkin’s to get you some winter robes.”


Harry wanted to say something to that, but when he looked up at his Godfather, the look on the man’s face let Harry know it would be best just to get the new items. 


Moments later, Severus walked out of the shop, putting his gloves back on his hands. Harry bounced after him. The boy couldn’t stop smiling. His head was warm. His hands. Even his feet. Never had he ever felt this warm. The wind was blowing, and it didn’t breeze through the fabric of his coat like his old one. 


“Now-,” 


Severus started when a small body, once again, collided with him. He could hear his spider monkey mumbling against him. This time Severus understood what the boy said.


“You are welcome, Harry,” Severus said, trying to keep the smile off his face. “Now, if you’re done, we have a lot of things to get.”


Harry stepped back. “Where do we need to go?”


The two of them started walking down the alley.


“Well,” Severus said. “There are a few ingredients I must stop by J. Pippin’s Potions and Mr. Mulpepper’s Apothecary.” 


“Oh, okay,” Harry said as he followed Severus. He kept stopping to see items that were displayed in the windows.


“Stay close, Potter,” Severus said when he looked back and saw that Harry wasn’t by him.


“Coming,” Harry said absentmindedly and then rushed over to Severus’ side. 


Harry once again stopped at another window display. He was in front of the Quidditch shop. They had the newest broom on the market on display.


Harry didn’t realize that he had gotten separated until he didn’t hear his Godfather’s voice. Harry started worrying. He was alone. Where was his Godfather? What if he left? Why would he stay? Harry was just a Freak, a burden. His heart was pounding in his chest. A lump grew in his throat, making it hard to swallow. He could feel tears prickling behind his eyes.


“Potter!”


Harry turned his head towards the sound of the voice. He would know his safety’s voice anywhere. He was still there. Harry was about to reply but didn’t when he saw his professor's anger.


“Did I not tell you to keep up?” Severus growled softly when he got in front of Harry. Severus gripped Harry’s arm, turning him to the side, and landing three sharp smacks on the child’s bottom. 


Tears instantly spilled from the child’s eyes. 


“I have a right mind to take you back to the castle if you can’t follow a few simple rules while we are on our outing. But because a lot has to be done, I do not have the time,” Severus groused as he gripped Harry’s arm, and they started walking again down the alley.


“I-I’m s-sorry,” Harry stuttered. He used his free glove-covered hand to wipe at the tears.


They made it to Mr. Mulpepper’s Apothecary. Severus gripped Harry’s shoulders and turned him, so they were facing each other. 


“Now, you are to stay close to me,” Severus ordered. “If I have to tell you again, we will head back to the castle and give you the proper spanking you deserve. Am I understood?”


Harry’s throat was too clogged with tears, and he was afraid he would make an unwanted noise if he opened his mouth. He nodded. 


Satisfied, Severus turned and walked into the Apothecary. Harry closed on his heels. The Potions Master took a second as he walked down one of the isles to calm himself down. 


Never had he been so scared. When he turned around and didn’t see Harry behind him, the first thing that popped into his head was that someone had kidnapped him. He cursed himself for not masking his identity before they left Hogwarts. 


His relief was palpable when he retraced his steps and saw the little miscreant standing by the Quidditch shop. His knees weakened a little. His only thought was getting to the child and swatting his bottom. 


He speculated earlier in the school year that Harry was going to give him grey hairs. Right now, it is looking more to that effect. 


As the Potions Master perused the isles, he felt a slight tug on his robes. He looked over and saw that Harry had a tight grip on them. With the child having gloves on, Severus speculated that he couldn’t wrap his fingers in the fabric. 


After getting his purchases, Severus walked out of the apothecary with his godson behind him. Severus didn’t have any problems with Harry. Actually, Harry hadn’t said a word. Severus knew this needed to be aired out. This wasn’t supposed to be a sad outing. And he didn’t want Harry moping the entire time. The duo walked over to Rosa Lee Teabag. 


Severus took a table at the far corner of the tea shop. Harry was about to sit in the chair across from Severus when Severus took hold of Harry’s arm and brought the child to stand in front of him.


More tears began to pool in the child’s eyes.


“I’m s-sorry, P-professor,” Harry hiccuped. “I d-didn’t mean to r-ruin today. I try not to be a fr-freak. I hadn’t seen the broom, and it was nice. I was s-so excited when y-you said I-I could come, but I r-ruined-”


“Harry, Harry,” Severus said a little louder than the child’s cries. “Nothing is ruined, child,” Severus soothed. “You made a mistake. You were corrected,” he pulled out his handkerchief and wiped Harry’s tears, “and now it’s done. All’s forgiven. I just want you to realize that you need to stay next to me for your safety and my peace of mind. You really scared me. I thought I had lost you.”


“You were?” Harry sniffled, using his gloved hand to wipe the last remnants of wetness off of his face. 


The concept that someone would worry about his safety was still new to him. He knew that his Professor would keep him safe, but the idea that he was scared when he didn’t see him never occurred to Harry. No one was ever scared for him. 


Severus nodded. He opened his arms, “Come here, spider monkey.”


Harry all but collapsed in his Godfather’s arms. They hugged each other tightly.


“Another thing,” Severus whispered in Harry’s ear. “You are not a Freak. You are not a burden. This is the last time I want to hear you refer to yourself like that. You are my godson. Understand?”


Harry nodded.


“No,” Severus admonished lightly. “I want to hear you say it. I want to know you understand.”


Harry pushed back away from his Godfather, looked at him, and said, “I won’t say I’m a freak. I’m your godson.” 


“Very good,” Severus praised. “Now, how about we have some tea and then go and finish our shopping trip.”  


With a huge smile on his face, Harry nodded.


___000___000___000

Albus was sitting behind his desk finishing up some paperwork when the floo in the fireplace became active. 


“Professor Dumbledore.” A voice came through the flames. “It’s Bill Weasley. May I come through?”


Albus stood and walked over to the fireplace. “Mr. Weasley, you never have to ask permission to come through. Welcome.”


Bill walked through the flame and greeted the Headmaster.


“I’m seeing you more now than I had when you were a student here,” Albus quipped. 


Bill smirked at the statement but didn’t reply. 


“So,” Albus sat down behind his desk. He held out his hand, offering Bill one of his overly plush chairs to sit on. “What can I do for you, young Weasley?”


Bill did not want to waste time with small talk. His anger with the Goblins was still fresh. Bill pulled out the scroll, handing it to the Headmaster. 


“What is this?” Albus asked as he received the parchment.


Sitting back in the chair, Bill replied, “This was to have been read after the Potter’s Will was read. It was an addendum that was to be given to you.”


“Where-”


“Once again, the Goblins' protocol wasn’t what they always claimed,” Bill sneered. “I received this just now. Griphook wanted me to give this to you personally.”


“Why?” Albus asked, studying the scroll that now lay on his desk.


“They didn’t want to send a Gringotts owl. It would have been proof that they are as infallible as they claim. They’re actually scared of you or Professor Snape going public about this. I told Griphook that if anyone went public, it would be Harry. This affected the boy.”


“Thank you, Mr. Weasley,” Albus said. “I won’t hold you any longer.”


“Of course, Professor,” Bill said, standing up. “If there is anything I can do, I’ll be at my parents’. I want to spend my holidays at home.”


“That sounds wonderful,” Albus said, smiling. “Merry Christmas.”


“You too, Professor.”


Bill disappeared through the green flames. Albus was once again alone in his chambers.


Albus looked at the uncurled scroll for a moment longer before opening it and reading the contents. 


___000___000___000

Severus walked into his chambers with his companion slumped against his chest. The poor child was tuckered out. Not counting the small issue of Harry not staying by his side, the two of them had an agreeable time together. Harry was fighting sleep during the walk from the castle’s front gate. The child had lost his battle by the time Severus walked into his chambers. 


After they had their tea and Severus acquired the ingredients he needed, their shopping began. There were a few places that sold decorations that Severus would approve to be in his chambers. Merlin help him if he was going to get some of those garish eyesores that were hanging all over the school. This was for Harry’s benefit, not his own. 


Severus wasn’t a total troll. He knew Harry was interested in going to those shops. It wasn’t that Severus was opposed; he just wanted to get what he needed first. 


They perused the different shops. Seeing the wonder in Harry’s eyes made Severus’ heart melt. Part of him didn’t like how emotional he was becoming since learning he was a Godfather, but the other he was enjoying seeing the look of wonder and happiness on Harry’s face. Severus watched as Harry looked at specific items. He would reach out for them but not get close enough to touch them. Severus was waiting for Harry to ask for the items, but it broke the Potion Master’s heart that Harry would not say anything. So, Severus wandlessly sent those particular items to the store's front counter. If he were going to give his godson a wonderful Christmas, at least there would be items the child wished for. He didn’t get everything the child stared over. But Severus was confident that Harry would appreciate whatever he received. 


Harry mentioned a few things he thought his friends would like. That had been a different issue. After going back and forth about paying for the items, Severus, not wanting to cause a scene, agreed that Harry would return the money he spent. (Not that it was going to happen.) Severus was his Godfather. Why wouldn’t he pay for what the child wanted or needed? When Harry started slowing down, Severus knew it was time to return to the castle.


When Severus laid the child on his sofa, Harry was asleep. He maneuvered the boy so he could remove the winter robes, hat, and gloves. He accio’ed a pillow and blanket to cover the child. There was a fire going, but he felt it wasn’t enough to keep the child warm. It still bothered him about the state of Harry’s outerwear. 


Severus had the stores ship his purchases straight to the castle. The castle’s elves would bring them to Severus’ chambers. Many items were strewn across the floor. The items that were to decorate the rooms stayed, but the others were sent to his private office. 


Severus cast a Muffliato over the sleeping child on the sofa. He had been out of the castle for several hours, and he knew that he was going to be bombarded by two old geezers in about 5..4..3..2-


The flames turned green; also, there was a knock on the door. Severus shook his head. He waved his hand towards the door to let Minerva come in. While Albus stepped out of the hearth before the fire returned to its normal color.


“You couldn’t give me a few minutes of peace,” Severus groused. 


“Now, now,” Minerva said, walking towards the sofa. “I wanted to -”


She stopped talking when she saw her little Gryffindor asleep, snuggled under a thick blanket.


“-you must’ve had a wonderful time,” Minerva whispered. 


“You can speak plainly,” Severus said, transfiguring another high-back winged chair so they wouldn’t sit on the sofa, not disturbing Harry while he slept. “I cast a Muffliato over the child.”


“It’s not even five o’clock,” Minerva admonished lightly. “If you let the child continue to sleep, he won’t sleep tonight.”


“You act as if I’ve never dealt with eleven-year-olds.”


“Now, now,” Albus calmly said. “Enough of that. I want to know about Harry’s outing.”


“You make it seem like he was my purpose for leaving the castle,” Severus argued.


“You can try and fool me if you want,” Albus said, smiling. “I know you could have gotten those ingredients by owl. You had fun with the boy.”


“Well, if you must know,” Severus sighed, sitting on his chair. “We did have fun. I did get him new winter robes. What he had was not fit for anybody. Threadbear at best. But his eyes lit up when he looked at anything. As if everything was new.” 


Severus stopped talking. He’d come to the realization that everything was new for Harry. The way he was treated by his so-called relatives left plenty to be desired. He looked over at the small child now curled up on his sofa, sleeping peacefully. A warm feeling flowed through Severus as he realized that he was the one to give Harry his first experience at shopping.


Severus was brought out of his internal thoughts by someone clearing their throat. Closing his eyes, Severus didn’t want to see the “I told you so” look on Minerva’s and Albus’ faces. He knew they would not let him live this down. 


“Get out,” Severus growled softly.


“There is no need to be embarrassed, my boy,” Albus soothed. 


Severus could hear the laughter in the man’s voice. “Get out.”


“You love the boy,” Minerva said, trying not to laugh. “It’s understandable. He’s a very lovable child.”


“Get out!”


Albus stood up and said, “Very well, Severus, will leave you alone with your godson.” 


Albus extended his arm in a manner to help Minerva out of her chair. 


“Good night, Severus,” Minerva called out as she walked out of the door.


Severus sneered.


Albus walked over to Severus and put his hand on his shoulder. Severus was about to say something, but Albus spoke first.


“All kidding aside,” Albus said softly. “I’m very proud of you, son.”


Severus looked up at his adoptive dad.


It broke Albus’ heart that Severus would still be surprised when he received his due praise. Albus always tried to show how proud he was of Severus’ accomplishments. He stood behind everything his boy had been through. And would continue to. Especially when the contents of the Will addendum come out.

  

Albus was exceptional at hiding his true feelings about something when it was warranted. Now would be that time. When it came to his adopted son, and now by extension to young Harry, Albus was very protective when it came to them.


Albus read the scroll that Bill Weasley left for him. And though he started to ball rolling to correct things, he didn’t want to bring down the atmosphere that was in these chambers. Even though he and Minerva were teasing Severus, he was content. It had been a long time since his son felt that way. And he wanted this day to end on a positive note. 


Albus wouldn’t hide what he’d learned or what he was doing. Both Harry and Severus would learn about the scroll. But that would be an issue for tomorrow. 

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 18: The Holidays Are Here by mandancie

Ron was in one of the train’s compartments, leaning against the glass, watching the scenery as it whizzed by. He was happy that he was going home for Christmas. But his thoughts were still on his best friend, who was staying alone at Hogwarts. 


“Hey, Ronnie,” George called, sitting next to his little brother.


“What’s wrong?” Fred asked. 


“Harry’s all alone,” Ron sighed. “I just don’t think it’s right.”


“Well,” George said, “talk to mum. Maybe she can call Professor McGonagall and ask if Harry can come over.”


Ron thought about it and agreed that would be a great idea. There were plenty of things he and Harry could do during the holidays. Just thinking of activities lightened Ron’s mood. 


When the train arrived at 9¾ station, the Weasley group exited alone with the other children. At the beginning of school, the station was packed with parents. It was the same now. 


The four Weasley boys, not worrying about lugging a baggage cart, waiting for their dad to pick them up. Percy had received an owl the day before that the four of them were to wait at the entrance to the station. 


Percy led the small group of red-headed boys. Fred and George flanked Ron. When they stepped through the secret entrance, they were surprised at who was waiting for them. 


“Bill,” Ron shrieked, running towards his oldest brother. 


Bill held his arms open for his baby brother. He felt bad that he didn’t see Ron again when he was at Hogwarts, but he had to rush back to Gringotts at the time. 


“Whoa,” Fred started.


“What are-” George piped in.


“-you doing here?” Fred finished. 


“I have missed listening to you two,” Bill said to the twins. He walked over to the twins, wrapping his arms around both of their necks, giving them a small squeeze. 


“Are you staying for Christmas?” Fred asked. 


“Oh, that would be wicked if you are,” Ron exclaimed. 


“Yes,” Bill answered. “I’m staying for the holidays.”


“Will it be fine with work?” Percy asked.


Bill walked over to his more serious brother. He always admired his little brother. Percy wanted to make everyone proud. The teen felt that if he did well and got a good job, he could help their mum and dad around the house. 


“Perc,” Bill said, wrapping his arm around Percy’s shoulders. “Everything will be fine. Now, come on, let’s get out of here. Mum is waiting for you.”


Bill held out his arm for the twins to grab. Percy kept hold of the arm that was around his shoulders. And Ron stood in front of Bill and wrapped his arms around his oldest brother’s waist. Bill apparated him and his brothers to their home.  


Once they landed at the Burrows, the boys released Bill and ran for the house. The twins got to the door first. When they ran in, they were tackled to the ground.


Very few could ever catch the twins off guard. Fred and George twisted and turned and squirmed from their attacker. It was George who got free first. When he turned to see who tackled them, he was shocked and speechless. 


Before George could talk, there was another shriek. This time the twins’ attacker was tackled. This action made it possible for Fred to break free. 


“Charlie,” George and Fred exclaimed together.


“When did you get here?” Fred asked.  


“Let me up, squirt,” Charlie huffed a little breathless after tussling with his brothers. 


Charlie stood up laughing, pulling his little brother over his shoulder and making Ron hang upside down in his arms. “Just got in last night.”


“Well, I guess all of us will be home this Christmas,” Bill said, standing in the doorway with Percy. 


Charlie put Ron down and walked over to Bill. Since Charlie had been staying at the Dragon Reserves, it had been five years since he’d seen his oldest brother. Though they still stayed in touch with one another via owl post, it didn’t substitute seeing each other in person. 


Bill walked over to Charlie and gave him a tight hug.

“I didn’t know you were coming home,” Bill whispered to his brother. “Why didn’t you tell me?”


The brothers separated. 


“How would it be a surprise if I did that?” Charlie smirked at his brother. He looked over at Percy, who was still standing in the doorway. “Wanna come and say hi?” Charlie asked, holding out his arms.


Percy walked slowly towards his brother. Charlie gripped the teen and pulled him into a hug when he got arm's length. 


“I’m glad you’re home, Charlie,” Percy softly said. 


Percy wasn’t one to show much emotion. He felt that one would need a good education and hard work to be successful. Percy admired his older brothers. Bill was a well-renowned curse breaker. Only the best could work at Gringotts. And Charlie was a savant when it came to dealing with dragons. Percy followed his brother’s career at the Dragon Reserves. He knew that Charlie was the only one that could handle and train the Norwegian Ridgeback dragon, the most fierce of the dragon species. 


Percy wanted to follow in their footsteps and become successful with what he wanted to do. He wanted to work in the Ministry. He was hoping to apply for an internship with his father. It would be a step in the right direction. 


“Enough overthinking,” Charlie whispered to Percy. “Lighten up. We’re having a family Christmas.”


Molly listened to her sons from the kitchen. It had been long since all of her boys were home simultaneously. She couldn’t wait for Arthur to come home with Ginny. Then everything would be perfect.


___000___000___000

Harry woke up to a hand rubbing his back. The first thing he realized was he was in his Godfather’s chambers. 


“Wake up, Harry, or you’ll not sleep tonight.”


Harry curled into a small ball before stretching out on the sofa. He looked up at the man and gave his Godfather a sheepish smile. 


“Hi, Professor,” Harry softly said. 


“No need for shyness now,” Severus said, tapping the boy’s hip. “Get up. Go wash up. I want you to eat something.” Harry sat up on the sofa, putting his glasses on his nose. “And if I’m going to have those garish items on my walls, you’ll need to hurry. I will not do this alone.”


“I can help?” Harry asked. His smile split across his face.


“Yes, of course,” Severus replied. “Why wouldn’t you? You picked some of those items out. Now, hurry.” 


Severus couldn’t help the warm feeling at how excited Harry got at the idea of helping decorate his chambers. If something as small as decorating his chambers brought excitement to the child, it was worth every greenery and bauble Severus purchased.


Severus stood and was headed towards the fireplace to call down to the kitchens when his small spider monkey rushed back into the room. He almost smiled at the way the child looked. The boy’s hair was as wet as if he had taken a cup of water and splashed it on his face. His hands were still wet. 


Shaking his head, Severus silently accio’ed a towel and walked over to his godson. 


“You know,” Severus admonished lightly while drying the child off. “The decorations will not disappear. Plus, I believe you are old enough to dry yourself properly.”


Harry stood still while his Godfather dried him off. He would never get tired of this feeling. Not only hearing that his Godfather cared about it but actually seeing it and feeling it. No one ever cared for him. He heard all the things his dormmates wanted for Christmas, and they all sounded good. But for Harry, this right here, having someone care for him, giving up their gloves so his hands could be warm, having someone care if he was comfortable or not, making sure he was fed and healthy. That was the best Christmas present Harry could ever want.


“Go sit down at the table,” Severus said, patting his bottom. “I’ll call for dinner.”


When Severus sat across from Harry, two covered platters popped on the table. Shepherd's pie was on the menu. Since being at Hogwarts, Shepherd’s Pie had become his favorite meal. Severing himself, he began to eat. The child didn’t notice the strange look of the Potion Master opposite him. 


“Is that all you’re going to eat?” Severus asked as he plated his meal. 


Harry shrugged his shoulders as he swallowed the food in his mouth. He didn’t want to talk about his freakish issues today. It’s been a happy day. 


“It’s not a lot,” Severus continued. “I’ve noticed before that you don’t get much food. Does your stomach hurt when you eat?”


“Sometimes,” Harry shrugged. “I try not to eat too much. I don’t want to get in trouble, and I guess my stomach is used to not eating that much.” Harry ate another spoonful. 


Severus didn’t like the sound of that. If the boy wasn’t eating properly, there could be more underlying issues. 


“It is not good that you don’t eat as much,” Severus said. “We may have to visit Madam Pomfrey.”


Harry’s spoon dropped from the child’s hand with a clatter. The small amount of food spattered onto the table, causing it to spill on the child’s clothes.


Go to the Infirmary. He couldn’t go there. He just couldn’t. Harry looked down at his food and then to the platter in the middle of the table. He had to prove he didn’t need to go. 


Harry reached out, took handfuls of the potatoes, and stuffed them into his mouth.  


Severus saw the child paling, but when Harry reached into the food and tried to force-feed himself, stupefaction isn’t the word that best described what Severus felt. He got up and knelt by the child’s side. 


Severus grabbed the cloth napkin from next to the child’s plate and put it over Harry’s mouth. 


“Spit, Harry. Spit.” Severus commanded. “You’re going to choke yourself.”


Harry, tears streaming down his cheeks, continued to try and swallow the overabundance of food that was in his mouth. But the strong urging from his Professor, he did as he was told.


After getting the food out of the child’s mouth and discarding it onto the table, Severus picked Harry up from his seat before sitting down and cradling the child in his lap. While Harry calmed down enough so they could talk, Severus used that time to calm himself. He never expected this reaction. The Potions Master remembered before that Harry skirted around going to the Infirmary. He didn’t think anything alarming was behind Harry’s refusal. Originally, he suspected that the child was being stubborn. Now, the Potions Master saw that there was a deeper reason for his godson’s reaction.


“Sweet Merlin,” Severus whispered to himself, trying to calm his anger. “What did those bastards do to you?”


Severus continued to rock Harry in his arms while rubbing the child’s back. Slowly, Harry relaxed against his Professor’s body. 


Once Harry calmed some, Severus asked what he should have asked in the beginning, “Harry, why are you afraid of going to the Infirmary?”


Harry turned his face towards Severus’ chest. He didn’t want to answer, but he knew he would have to tell him.    


“Harry,” Severus said, cupping the child’s face in his hands. “Talk to me; why?”  


“Freaks get sent away,” Harry mumbled. “Freaks aren’t to go to the doctor. If they go, then they get taken away. Sent to a bad place where they do bad things to freaks.”


“Do you think I’m weak?” Severus asked, trying to keep the growl from his tone. He did not like that his so-called relatives put those evil thoughts in his godson’s head.


The question surprised Harry. His anxiety, forgotten, slowly dwindled as he shook his head. He looked up at his safety. Weak? Never. His safety was never weak. His safety was the most feared Professor in all of Hogwarts.


“Do you think I would allow anyone to take you from me?” Severus continued.


Again, Harry shook his head in the negative, stunned silence.


“So, who do you think is going to try?” Severus raised his brow in question. “You are my godson. No one will take you away from me. Understand?”


“Yes, sir,” Harry whispered, nodding his head.


Severus nodded, then said, “I also believe I’ve spoken about calling my godson a freak.”


Harry bit his lip, laying his head on Severus’ shoulder. “I’m sorry.”


“Nothing to apologize for,” Severus soothed.


Harry sighed, nodding. 


“Now,” Severus said. “Let’s clean this food off of us, and we’ll start decorating.”


Usually, Harry would want to get an extra squeeze before letting go.  This time, Severus gave an additional squeeze before they released each other. 


___000___000___000

After everyone had put their things away, it was declared that a Quidditch pick-up game was in order. It had been a few years since the famous Gryffindor Seeker played, but Charlie was up to the challenge. The twins would take their usual positions as Beaters. Even though Percy wasn’t as fond of Quidditch as his siblings, he still loved playing the game with his brothers. Percy and Ron would play dual positions of Keeper and Chaser, while Bill would take the position of the opposing Seeker. 


Before the Weasley boys could kick off the ground, a screech could be heard down the pathway that led towards the house. They all looked to see Ginny and their dad, Arthur, walking up the path.


Ginny took off in a run when she saw that her older brothers were in the mix of different shades of red-heads. She saw Bill when he came looking through their uncles’ trunks. Her attention was on her other brother, Charlie. She hadn’t seen him for five years. 


Charlie dropped his broom and met his baby sister halfway. When she lept in his arms, Charlie gripped her with ease, holding her in his arms. 


“When did you get in?” Ginny asked. Charlie’s clothes muffled her voice. 


“Late last night,” Charlie said. “How have you been?” He lowered his baby sister to the ground. He put his hand on her head to measure how tall she’d gotten. “Boy, I’ve been gone too long. You’ll be taller than me soon.”


“No, I won’t,” Ginny disagreed, shaking her head. “But I’m so glad that you’re home.” Wrapping her arms around his waist, “I missed you.”


“Is Charlie all you see?” Bill said, walking towards his brother and sister. 


Ginny walked over to Bill and gave him a one-arm hug. “I saw you a couple of weeks ago.” When she released Bill, she walked over to her other brothers, giving each of them a hug. When she walked over to Ron, it was more of a shove between them than a hug. Since they were close in age, they spent the most time together. 


“Are y’all about to play Quidditch?” Ginny excitedly asked. 


“What gave it away?” Ron smirked. 


The Weasley girl lightly punched Ron on the arm. 


“Go get your broom,” Percy said. “Then we can redistribute the positions.”


Ginny rushed to the small outside cupboard that housed the brooms and pulled out her broom. 


They had their usual positions when they were together. Fred and George would have dual roles of Beaters and Keepers. Percy and Ron were the Chasers. Ginny and Charlie were the Seekers. Bill would be the referee. He would also make sure that injuries were at a minimum. 


Each of the Quidditch balls was charmed for practice. Like the Bludgers during the school’s practices, they were charmed, so they didn’t cause damage if they were to hit one of them.


Arthur watched, standing at the door as his children, all of them, got ready to play their favorite game. He was extremely happy that all seven of them were home. 


Arthur walked into the house to find his wife. She was in the kitchen whipping together her usual exuberant meal for her family. He walked up behind her and wrapped his arms around her. 


“How are you doing, my love?” Arthur asked as he leaned down and kissed Molly on the side of her neck.


“Wonderful,” Molly replied. “All of my lovelies are home. We are together.”


“That we are,” Arthur agreed. 


“Where are they?” Molly asked, leaning back against Arthur’s shoulder so she could look up at him. 


“Starting a pick-up game,” Arthur replied, stepping away from his wife after giving his wife a peck on the mouth. “Are you almost done? Should I call for them?”


“It is almost finished, but let them have their fun. It can wait,” Molly said, finishing up dinner. “Plus, they will be hungry when they are done.”


“I don’t think hunger is ever a problem with our kids,” Arthur said, smiling. 


When the final touches were finished, Molly waved her hand, letting the food float to the middle of the table. Dishes and flatware were already around the edges of the table. Once all was ready, Arthur waved his hand over the food to keep it warm. The two adult Weasleys walked outside and sat on make-shift chairs that were made out of reinforced crate boxes as they watched their children play Quidditch. 


+0+0+0

Like always, dinner at the Weasleys was never dull or quiet. There was a mix of loud conversations, each speaking over the other and flatware scraping against plates. To most, the scene of the Weasleys eating together would seem like chaos, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. This was love. No one felt out of place. All seven children felt the love of their parents. 


After dinner, Molly started the dishes to wash themselves. Everyone scattered to do different things. Percy and Ginny went to her room. She was closest with Percy; those two had a special bond. Fred and George barricaded themselves in their room. That was always a wary feat. There was always a fear that those two would burn the house to the ground. Bill and Charlie went with their father to his office. 


Ron usually spent his time with the twins. The bond between Ginny and Percy equaled Ron’s bond with the twin brothers. Ron walked to his mother. He had something on his mind that he needed to share with his mum. He usually didn’t have his pet rat with him when he went to the kitchen, but he was a little nervous about talking with his mum. Rubbing Scabbers’ back helped soothe him. 


“Mum,” Ron said. “Can we talk?”


“Sure, sweetie,” Molly said, wiping her hand on her apron, then sitting down on one of the chairs. 


Ron followed suit. 


“What is it?” Molly asked. 


“I’m worried about Harry,” Ron stated. 


During the school term, Ron and the twins wrote to their mum regularly. In Ron’s first letter, he excitedly revealed to their mum that his first friend was Harry Potter. In every letter since then, he spoke of all the fun things they talked about. 


“Why? Is something wrong?” Molly asked. 


“Yeah, he’s all alone at Hogwarts. Everyone in Gryffindor went home for the holidays. Harry is all by himself. This is his first magical Christmas. I don’t want him to be alone.”


“Alright,” Molly said. “I’ll floo-call Professor McGonagall in the morning and see what we can do about it.”


Ron rushed to his mother’s side and quickly hugged her. “Thanks, mum!”


+0+0+0

Later that night, it was quiet throughout the Weasleys’ humble home. All the children were asleep. Arthur was making sure everything was locked up. He climbed the stairs and stopped at the different bedrooms to look at his sleeping children. 


Since Ginny took Charlie’s old room and Arthur turned Ginny’s room into a study, Charlie and Bill shared a room; they didn’t mind. The Weasley patriarch stood in the doorway looking at his oldest boys. It had been so long since they were home and even longer since they slept in the same room. 


After checking on Percy and Ginny, Arthur went to his twins. He always had to ensure there was nothing around that could burn the house down during the night. Fred and George were a handful, but he wouldn’t change a thing about them. Those two brought so much life to the family.


His final child to check on was his youngest boy. Ron’s room was at the top of the house. Ron would sneak up to the roof to look out at the expansive land and the starry sky at night. Since Ron liked it up in the attic so much, Arthur designed a room for his child. Ron’s loved it ever since. 


Arthur walked into his bedroom. Molly was already getting in bed. 


“Is every one asleep?” Molly asked. 


Arthur nodded as he started unbuttoning his shirt.


“It’s so wonderful to have everyone home.”


“It is,” Molly agreed.


“The house seems full again,” Arthur said. 


“Well,” Molly said, pulling down Arthur’s side of the bed, “come on to bed. Now that they are home, we’ll need all the rest we can get. You know how rambunctious our children are.”


Arthur laughed as he walked over to Molly’s side of the bed, leaned over, and kissed her.


___000___000___000

The next morning, Severus walked into his chambers' sitting room, wanting to gouge his eyes out at how silly the room looked. It was too early in the morning for this. It looked as if all the holiday stores had an explosion go off in his rooms. There wasn’t a clear spot on the walls or furniture. There was greenery and holly and colorful baubles and a mistletoe. 


Yes, actually a mistletoe.

 

Severus couldn’t get upset about how the room looked. The look on Harry’s face while they were decorating made everything worth it. Severus did have to put his foot down on decorating his high wing-back leather chair. The child wanted to put bows on the corner, but Severus asked (almost begged) if they could leave his chair alone. Harry wasn’t deterred. He just shrugged and went off to put the bows somewhere else.


+0+0+0

While Harry continued to add more decorations, Severus’ house-elf, Tami, informed him that there was a new room added to his chambers. The Potion Master couldn’t get angry about that. He was going to have the child stay with him during the holidays. From what he heard from the child, the boy never had a decent Christmas and was always alone. That was not happening this time. Severus instructed Tami to fix up the room for the child, making sure he had all he needed.


After finally getting the last candy cane placed on the coffee table, Harry stood back and examined his work. Harry's chest was sticking out. He was so proud of what he did.


It was that look of pride that kept the snide remarks away. Severus knew he would have to mentally prepare himself for Albus and Minerva coming to his chambers. He knew those two geezers would not let him live this down. But looking at his godson’s face and how much joy bloomed from the child made all the cracks his adopted father would say worth it.


When Severus saw Harry yawning, he figured it was time to call it a night. 


“Well done, Harry,” Severus praised. Harry beamed. “I think it is time you get ready for bed. It’s getting late.”


“Oh,” Harry sighed, his brow furrowing. “Okay. Good night, Professor.” 


Harry walked towards the door to leave. 


“Mr. Potter,” Severus barked, causing the child to turn and face Severus. “Where do you think you’re going?”


“Uh, to the tower?” Harry said, pointing towards his Potion Master’s chamber door.


Severus only raised his eyebrow at the child.


“I’m not?” Harry raised his eyebrows in question. “But where do I go?”


Severus pointed down the small hallway that led to the bathroom. “Go get ready for bed. I’m sure you recall where the bathroom is?”


Harry’s face seemed to brighten more than it was before. “I can stay here?”


“You didn’t think I was going to let you have run of the castle while most everyone was gone,” Severus scoffed. “There’s no idea what trouble you’ll get yourself in.”


Before the last word left his mouth, Harry had flung himself to his Godfather, wrapping his arms around him. 


Severus grunted as he patted Harry’s shoulders, then shooed him off towards the bathroom. 


After Harry got dressed in the provided pajamas, Severus was once again accosted with another bone-crushing hug when he showed Harry his new room. After spending ten minutes reassuring the child that it wasn’t a dream and that everything would be the same when he woke up, Severus got the child calm enough to go to sleep.


+0+0+0

Severus sat in his chair as he thought about everything that had happened the night before. He almost wanted to send for Albus and Minerva so they could get it out of their systems of making fun of him. The keyword: almost. Some things are better when it’s not first thing in the morning.


Severus’ quiet morning was thwarted when a phoenix Patronus, appeared next to him. Severus sighed as he let his head fall back against the back of his chair with a small thump.


Severus went to the floo and lit it up. When the fire turned green, Severus cast a cushioning charm on the floor in front of him, and called out Albus’ name.


“Dear boy,” Albus greeted.


“Albus, I appreciate that you want to check in and see how last night went. I know you want more fodder at my expense, but I would like to enjoy my morning coffee in peace.”


Albus cleared his throat covering up the chuckle that wanted to pass his lips. 


“Very well, son,” Albus said. Then his tone changed from jovial to serious. “When you do have a moment, it is imperative that I see you.”


“Understood,” Severus replied, shutting off the floo. 


Severus was about to sit back down in his chair when he heard noise from further in his chambers.


“Professor,” Harry called out.


“There is no reason to shout,” Severus said, walking to the end of the hallway. “I am right - oof.”


Once again, Severus’ spider monkey ran and collided with him.


“If you keep doing this,” Severus said, wrapping his arms around Harry’s shoulders, “I shall have to visit the Infirmary.”


“Why?” Harry asked, looking up at his safety. His arms still wrapped around Severus’ waist. 


“If you keep crashing into me, I shall have a bruise on my midriff.”


Harry lowered and buried his head in Severus’ robes, trying not to smile.


“Alright, spider monkey,” Severus said, patting the child’s back. “Are you ready for breakfast?”


Harry nodded against him and gave him one more squeeze before releasing Severus. The boy rushed over to the small table and sat down. 


When Severus sat down, Harry asked, “Professor, do you like the decorations?”


Severus was surprised by the question. He thought about how ostentatious his chambers looked, but he remembered how Harry looked while he was putting them up. Severus looked over at the child and saw that he was nervous about the answer. The child was biting his lip, and Severus guessed the child was wrapping his fingers in his pajama top. 


“Come here, spider monkey,” Severus said, scooting his chair out from under the table.


Harry went to Severus and stood in front of him.   


“It is a bit much,” Severus started, not wanting to lie to the child as he gripped Harry's waist and pulled the child closer to him. “But, I love it because you did it. And you had fun doing it.” 


A huge grin spread across the child’s face, and he wrapped his arms around his safety’s neck. Harry couldn’t help smiling harder when he felt his Godfather wrap his arms around him. Harry knew he would never get tired of that feeling. 


Security. Safety. Protection. Words Harry learned in Grammar school, he never truly understood the meaning of them until now. And he loved it. 


“Alright, spider monkey,” Severus said, patting Harry’s bottom. “Let’s have breakfast. I want to get your things from the tower.”


Harry let go of Severus and went back to his seat. He loved the nickname his safety had given him. Before, Harry heard Professor Snape mumble the words, but now he’s outright calling him “spider monkey.” He wanted to ask him why he called him that. But didn’t in the fear that his safety would stop doing it. Harry had a nickname, and he wanted to keep it as long as he could.


Severus knocked on the table, and two covered plates appeared in front of the two wizards. The amount of food that was on Harry’s plate was smaller. He knew the two of them would visit the idea of Harry going to the Infirmary. But the last thing Severus wanted was to drive up a panic attack like the previous day.


___000___000___000

Molly got up before everyone in the house; having eight mouths to feed, she knew that she needed to start early. She got dressed, and after kissing Arthur on his forehead, wishing him a good morning, she headed towards the kitchen. It had been several years since she had to cook for all her children. She knew it would be a lot of work and welcomed all of it. Her heart blossomed at the thought that all her children were home. 


When she got to the kitchen, she pulled out her wand and gathered the needed ingredients, pots, and pans. Once everything was cooking on the stove and baking in the oven, Molly started getting her Christmas decorations from the side cupboard. Today the family was going to start decorating. She’d ask Bill or Charlie to get a tree.


She heard footsteps overhead when she returned to the kitchen to check on the food. She smiled when she heard someone come down the stairs.


“Mum.”


“In the kitchen,” Molly called out. 


“Morning, mum,” Charlie said. He walked over to Molly and kissed her on the cheek. 


“Sleep okay?” Molly asked


“Yeah,” Charlie yawned, leaning against the counter. “It feels good to be back home.”


“I’m glad you’re home.”


“You need any help?” Charlie offered. 


“You’re sweet, love,” Molly said, patting his cheek. “Set up the table. I’m sure your brothers and sister will be down soon.”


More footsteps on the stairs. This time there was more than one person. Arthur walked in first, patting his second oldest on the shoulder when he passed him, then wrapped his arms around Molly and kissed her on the cheek.


The twins came in next. They were dragging their feet. It seemed like they just woke up.


“Morning, mum,” the twins said together as they dropped down on their chairs. 


“Are you sure you two are awake?” Charlie asked while laying the last of the plates on the table. 


“We’ll get back to you,” Fred answered while George yawned. 


“Morning, dad,” George mumbled before moving his plate and sliding his arms on the table so he could lay his head on his arms.


“You know better, George,” Molly admonished when she turned and saw one of her twins laying his head on the table. 


“He’s not George,” Fred quipped tiredly. “I am,” yawning out the last words.


“You know who I meant,” Molly said, not taking the bait. 


The twins loved messing around with everyone when it came to telling them apart. They loved that they were identical with no distinguishing marks.


George sat up, pouting. “No fair.”


“If you’re so tired,” Molly said, looking at her sons with her hand on her hips, “why didn’t you just stay asleep?”


“Are you kidding?” George said.


“We’d never get breakfast-” Fred started.


“If we slept in,” George finished. 


Charlie and Arthur snickered, trying not to interrupt the usual banter around the table. 


“Ron’s home,” the twins said together. 


Just then, Ron walked into the kitchen, rubbing his eyes. He just woke up.


“What’s going on?” Ron asked, stifling a yawn. 


“Nothing,” Fred said.


“But if Bill and Ginny want to eat,” George sighed, “they better get down here.”


“I don’t eat that much,” Ron snapped, sitting beside George. It didn’t have that much effect since he was yawning when he said it. 


“It’s okay, little brother,” George said, wrapping his arm around Ron’s shoulders. “We all know you can’t help it. You just like to eat.”


“A lot,” Fred contributed. 


“Stop picking on your brother,” Arthur lightly admonished. 


Bill stepped into the kitchen while carrying Ginny on his back. Ginny laid her head on Bill’s shoulder. Her eyes were still closed.


Arthur got up and relieved Bill of his delicate cargo.


“Bill, why did you wake her up?” Arthur said, standing her up and rubbing her back.


“Ron’s awake,” Bill said, shrugging his shoulders.


“Hey!” Ron snapped. “I don’t eat that much.”


“I know, dear,” Molly placated, kissing Ron on top of his head. “You just have a healthy appetite.”


“No one else has that much of an appetite,” Charlie said, rubbing Ron’s hair.


“Alright, leave Ron alone,” Molly said. “There is enough food for everyone. And I do believe that Ron isn’t the only bottomless pit at this table. You all have your fair share of full plates.”


Bill and Ginny took their seats, and Molly started bringing the food to the table. Everyone reached out, getting their mountain of food. Not one plate was bigger than the other. 


“Mum,” Ron said between bites. “Will you still call for Harry?”


“I will,” Molly confirmed. 


___000___000___000

Severus and Harry made their way up to Gryffindor tower. Once again, Harry was skipping and jumping like he was when they left the school the previous day. Harry worried that he would be lonely since Ron and the others went home for the holidays, but he was actually having a wonderful time with his Godfather. 


When they got inside the Gryffindor portrait, Severus stayed in the Common room while Harry retrieved his things. When Harry returned with his items, Severus didn’t like Harry's small number of items but didn’t say anything about it. 


“Professor,” Harry said when they returned to Severus’ chambers. “Can I go see Hagrid?”


“I don’t see why not,” Severus replied. “Let’s go put your things in your room and get your winter outerwear.”


“Thanks,” Harry said, smiling. He ran to his room, returning to the sitting room in record time. His cloak was hanging off one shoulder, his gloves were under his arm, and he was putting his hat on his head. 


Severus saw the mini struggle Harry was going through and gave the child some help. He grabbed the gloves and straightened his cloak, fastening the clasp. 


Handing Harry his gloves, “Go straight to Hagrid’s. And no venturing in the forest.”


“I won’t,” Harry said, going out of the door. “Bye, Professor.”


Severus shook his head. He knew he needed to go to Albus’ chambers. He was not in a hurry to get there. So he left his chambers and decided to walk. And if he happened to watch over Harry as he made his trek to the wooden cabin out on the grounds, so be it.


___000___000___000

Albus sat behind his desk, looking at the scroll Bill Weasley brought the previous day. Things needed to be clarified in regards to the contents of the parchment. 


Minerva was also in Albus’ chambers. Knowing they were about to have a difficult conversation, the elderly wizards decided it would be best if they came to Severus together. 


The chamber door opened, and Severus walked in. He saw that Minerva was there as well. Severus knew from experience that it wouldn't be good if those two were together to tell him something.


“What’s going on?” Severus asked.


“Come, sit,” Albus offered, holding out his hand to the empty chair next to Minerva. “Some new development has come to light.”


Severus didn’t reply, just sat down.


“Bill Weasley,” Albus continued, “stopped by yesterday afternoon with this parchment.”


“What is it?”


“It was a sort of addendum to the Potter’s Will,” Albus said, waving his hand, floating the scroll to Severus.


Severus opened the scroll and started reading. 


Albus and Minerva looked at each other. They both knew that Severus wouldn’t take this news well.


“What is the meaning of this?” Severus asked, waving the parchment. 


“Just what it says,” Albus said. “To protect Lily and James Potter, I placed them under the Fidilus Charm. We discussed a Secret Keeper. They needed to pick someone they could trust to keep them hidden.”


“I would have assumed that Black would have been chosen,” Severus said. 


It was well known that James Potter and Sirius Black were inseparable. They were best friends. It stood to reason Black would take on that role.


“I thought so, as well,” Albus agreed. “And I assume that was James’ thinking as well. If someone wanted to find the Potters, the best person to interrogate would be Sirius.”


Severus couldn’t argue with that. It was the logical choice. 


“But Black confessed,” Severus said. 


“Yes,” Albus agreed. “I need to look into this. Something about this whole thing seems strange.”


“Meaning?” Minerva asked, speaking for the first time.


“Sirius never had a trial,” Albus said. “If Sirius were guilty, that parchment,” pointing to the scroll, “would have been proof of that fact. But this was lost until the Potters’ Will was read. It didn’t show up to Gringotts until after we read the Will.”


“What are you searching for?” Minerva asked.


“If there had been a mistake made,” Albus said. “I don’t believe anyone asked Sirius what he meant when he confessed.”


Severus didn’t know how he felt about this new information. How would this new information affect what will happen to him and Harry? He didn’t want to admit to Albus and Minerva that he enjoyed having the child near him. He didn’t want to lose the boy. 


“Severus-” Minerva started but was cut off.


“I need to go through Harry’s things,” Severus said, standing. “I think there are more things that Harry might need.”


Before Severus could leave, the fire turned green, and Molly’s voice could be heard in the flames. 


“Professor Dumbledore,” Molly called. 


“I’m here,” Albus answered, getting up and walking over to the fireplace. 


“I tried reaching Professor McGonagall but didn’t get an answer,” Molly said.


“I’m here, Molly,” Minerva said, walking next to Albus.


“Ron told me that Harry was alone,” Molly started. “He wanted to know if it was alright if Harry could come over for a little bit.”


Albus looked over at Severus and saw his adopted son nod his head.


“That sounds like a lovely idea,” Albus said. “How about he comes over after lunch?”


“Sounds wonderful,” Molly said. “We’ll be taking the children to pick a tree. Plan on decorating today.”


“Wonderful,” Albus said, “This afternoon then.”


“I’ll send Bill over to pick him up,” Molly said before cutting off the floo. 


Albus walked back to his desk. 


“I’ll have Harry ready,” Severus said. “He’s visiting Hagrid.”


Severus walked out of Albus’ chambers.


___000___000___000

“Hey, Hagrid,” Harry called out as he walked down the snow-covered pathway towards the hut. 


Hagrid was sitting on the steps leading into the wooden hut. Fang was lying on the top steps. His ears perked up when he heard Harry’s voice. A loud bark came from the dog as he jumped off the steps, knocking Hagrid over and running towards Harry. 


“You mangy mutt,” Hagrid groused as he picked himself off and wiped the snow off his wooly coat.


Harry saw Fang coming and, like always, was getting ready to side-step the dog so he could hop on Fang’s back. When Harry got on the huge dog’s back, Fang stopped running. Harry and the dog roughhoused around Hagrid’s hut. Playing in the snow. 


Harry started making a snowman. He used to watch the other kids making them when he was in Grammar School. He’d told Professor Snape that he was used to the cold and wasn’t lying. But it didn’t mean he wasn't cold. Now with his new gloves, he could play in the snow and not worry about his fingers freezing. He would start on the next part when he gathered a good amount of snow. It never got that far because Fang would crash into the pile of snow. Harry would yell out Fang’s name but wasn’t too upset about it. He was having too much fun either way.


Hagrid called from the cabin, “Harry, why don’t you come in and have some tea?”


“Okay,” Harry said. He then looked over at Fang. The dog reached his shoulders. “Come on, Fang. Let’s get warmed up.”


The child and dog started their trek back towards Hagrid’s cabin.


___000___000___000

Severus figured Harry would still be with Hagrid. He knew that half-giant cared for the boy. Who wouldn’t? Harry was a loveable child. Not that he would admit that to Albus and Minerva. He had a reputation to uphold. 


When Severus walked out of the castle, he saw Harry building something in the snow. Severus could see from where he was standing that the child’s cheeks were pink from the cold. He was about to say something when he heard Hagrid yell for his godson to come in. 


Severus saw Harry running towards the cabin with the dog right beside him. Did that child have to run everywhere? Severus thought as he made his way towards the wooden cabin. 


Severus was within yelling distance from Harry and Fang when the dog turned and bit the side of Harry’s robes, knocking the small child into the snow. 


The Potions Master rushed to his godson, yelling for Hagrid to come out of his cabin. 


“Professor Snape,” Hagrid called when he walked out of the cabin.


“Get your dog away from Harry,” Severus growled. “He just attacked the child.”


“No,” Hagrid disagreed, walking over towards Harry and Fang. “Fang loves Harry.”


Severus and Hagrid got to the two in the snow simultaneously. Harry was lying face down in the snow, and Fang was on his side. Both men knelt down next to them. The boy began to stir when Severus put his hand on Harry’s back. Severus helped the child to stand. 


“Professor?” Harry said when he saw Professor Snape standing in front of him. 


“Are you alright?” Severus asked, worry in his tone. 


“Yeah,” Harry confirmed. “What happened?”


Severus carefully took the arm he saw Fang bite. He wanted to see the damage. There wasn’t a red tinge in the snow, so Severus knew the child wasn’t bleeding. That was a good sign. When he examined Harry’s robes, he saw there wasn’t a tear in the fabric.


Harry was in a daze when he first stood up, but then he remembered Fang. He quickly turned and saw his four-legged friend was still on his side. 


“No, no, no,” Harry cried, trying to get to Fang’s side. Severus’ grip on his arm was preventing the child from moving. 


“Harry be still,” Severus warned. “I must make sure you’re not hurt.”


“No,” Harry said, successfully wrenching his arm from Severus’ grasp. “Fang wouldn’t hurt me. He’s my friend.” He fell to his knees by the huge dog, rubbing his gloved hand over the dog’s fur. He looked up at Hagrid, “Is he okay?”


“I don’t know,” Hagrid replied. 


“We got to help him,” Harry said, panicking. He turned to his Godfather. “Please, Professor; you have to help him.”


Severus sighed. The last thing he cared about was that dog, but seeing the look of panic on Harry’s face, he knew he had to help. 


“Let’s take the dog inside,” Severus told Hagrid.


Hagrid picked up his dog and headed for his cabin. Harry in tow. Severus got up and was headed in the direction of the cabin when something caught his eye.


“Tami,” Severus called out.


A small house-elf popped in front of Severus.


“Yes, Master Sev’us,” she squeaked quietly. 


“There is something I need you to do,” Severus ordered. 


He stood outside with Tami for a short moment before he walked inside the cabin.


It was toasty-warm inside the cabin. Severus knew he could get a better look at Harry’s arm. He had the child take off his robes and stand before him.


There wasn’t any damage to the child’s clothes or skin. Severus waved his hand over Harry’s arm and felt a small magical signature. He looked over at Hagrid and saw the half-giant placed Fang on the floor. Fang started to move around. He looked disoriented. 


“I don’t think Fang is too hurt,” Hagrid said.  


Severus could hear the hopefulness in Hagrid’s tone. He went to the dog. Something wasn’t adding up. If Fang didn’t attack him, it would only mean that the dog protected the child. The Potions Master knelt by Fang and waved his hand over the dog. He felt the same signature.    


___000___000___000

Severus and Harry walked back to the castle.


“Professor.”


Severus looked down at the child.


“Do you think Fang will be alright?” Harry asked.


“I’m sure you and that dog will be able to roughhouse again soon,” Severus sighed. “Now, for the reason, I came to get you. How would you like to go to the Burrow and visit Ron?”


Harry's face lit up. “Really?”


“Yes,” Severus said. “Mrs. Weasley called and invited you.”


“Wicked,” Harry cheered. 


The two of them continued on their way towards Severus’ chambers. At first, Severus wasn’t too keen on Harry leaving. When Molly asked, he couldn’t help the small tinge of jealousy that blossomed. But after what he just witnessed outside, it might be in Harry’s best interest if he did leave the castle for a bit.  


“Will you come?” Harry asked once they walked into Severus’ chambers.


The question surprised Severus. It made that tinge of jealousy completely disappear. Just the fact that the child asked made him want to smile. 


“No,” Severus said, shaking his head. “I have a few things to do here.”


“Will I be able to come back?” Harry asked. There was a tinge of worry that laced the child’s voice. 


“Harry,” Severus said, kneeling down in front of the child. “If you are worried about your decorations going to waste,” Severus quipped, “then let me put that matter to rest. We are spending Christmas together. You are going for a visit, not to stay. I’m sure you would like to be with Mr. Weasley for a while.”


Harry nodded. 


“Good,” Severus said, standing up. “Then, I want you to have fun. We will have lunch, and then we’ll go to the Headmaster’s chambers. Bill Weasley’s picking you up.”


___000___000___000

“I am getting tired of your failures.”


“Please, my lord, I am trying.”


“NOT HARD ENOUGH!”


Quirrell fell to the floor, writhing in pain.


“Please, my lord,” Quirrell cried. “Spare me. I’ll do better.”


“You’re wearing down my patience.”


The pain stopped. Quirrell was panting on the floor. Sweat coated his skin. Shakily, he stood and slowly walked out of the empty classroom. 


There was a small form hiding in the cupboard. When the coast was clear, a small popping sound could be heard.


___000___000___000

Bill and Harry left through the floo. Before the two left, there was another round of reassurances that Harry would return and Severus would be there waiting for him. Unlike in his chambers, Severus had an audience. 


When the fire turned back an orange-red, Severus turned to see two old geezers beaming at him. 


“Will you two knock it off,” Severus sneered. 


“What?” Minerva feigned innocence. “I haven’t said anything.”


“You don’t have to, you old cat. It’s all over your face.”


“It’s on yours as well,” Albus said, smiling. “You’re blushing.”


“Enough about me,” Severus snapped. “There is something more important. Harry was attacked again.”


The jovial atmosphere changed instantly. 


“What has happened?” Albus asked. 


“He was roughhousing with that behemoth that giant calls a dog,” Severus said. “Then it appeared to have attacked Harry.”


“Was Harry hurt?” Minerva asked, worry in her tone.


“No,” Severus replied. “The dog took most of the hex. He’s resting in Hagrid’s cabin.”


___000___000___000

Bill and Harry stepped out of the hearth. Well, Bill stepped out. The boy would have fallen out if Bill weren’t holding on to Harry’s shoulder. 


Harry didn’t have time to worry about his entrance because a group of red-heads swarmed him. 


“Harry. Harry,” Ron called out. 


“Heya, Ron,” Harry said smiling. 


Ron gripped Harry’s arm and started pulling the smaller boy further into the house. 


“Ron, stop that,” Molly admonished. “Let the child at least take off his cloak.”


Ron let go of Harry’s arm, looking sheepish. “Sorry about that, Harry.”


“It’s fine,” Harry said as he pulled off his winter things. He didn’t understand why he needed his winter things but didn’t argue when he was told to bring them.  


“Well, hello there, Harry,” Molly said, walking over to the small child. 


“Hi, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry greeted, holding out his hand.


“None of that,” Molly said before she grabbed Harry’s shoulders and brought him in for a hug.


Harry had never felt this before. Yes, he got hugs from his Godfather, but this was different. When he got hugs from Professor Snape, he felt safe. The hug he was getting now; he felt warm. He inadvertently tightened his hold on Molly. He didn’t want it to end.


Molly figured Harry never had a motherly hug. She could feel the way the child was gripping her apron. The child needed this. She would let Harry have this. She slowly twisted one way, then another, giving Harry the comfort she knew he craved. Molly kissed the crown of his head as she held Harry in a tight embrace.

TBC 

To be continued...
Chapter 19: Strained Meetings by mandancie

Harry released Mrs. Weasley and stepped back. He lowered his head. His cheeks pinkened with embarrassment that he was clinging to Ron’s mother. 


Before he could open his mouth to apologize to her, Molly cupped the child’s face in her warm hands, lifting it so she could look into his emerald-green eyes. 


“I am happy you are here, Harry,” Molly cooed. “You need not feel shame at wanting comfort. And anytime you need a hug, I’ll be here.”


Harry nodded, looked around, and noticed they were the only two in the room.


“They’re getting their winter robes,” Molly said. 


Harry’s brow furrowed. Why would he be invited to come over if they were going to leave? Did they want him to clean their house? Harry looked around the sitting room and saw it was clean, and a knitting needle was working by itself, making a scarf.


His safety said he wasn’t a freak. But his Professor wasn’t there. Maybe Ron found out he was a freak and told his mum. 


“Come on, Harry,” Ron yelled as he ran down the stairs.


“Stop that yelling,” Molly chided. “How many times have I told you to stop running down the stairs? You’re going to hurt yourself one day.”


“Sorry, mum,” Ron mumbled, but it wasn’t a contrite tone. He went to Harry’s side. “Are you ready?”


“Ready for what?” Harry was totally confused. They were leaving but asking him if he were ready. 


“We’re going to get a tree,” Ron said excitedly.


Before Harry could respond to Ron’s statement, more footsteps were coming down the stairs. It sounded like a herd of cattle was descending towards the sitting room.


Harry remembered Ginny when they first met and helped him cross the wall to the train station. And he remembered Bill from when he came to the school the other week. He also was at the reading of his parents’ will. But there was one that he didn’t recognize. He was a little taller than the others and was more muscular. His hair was long and tied back with a jeweled string. He had a few piercings in one of his ears. Aunt Petunia always said men with piercings were always up to no good. Men shouldn’t have piercings. Harry disagreed. 


“This is my brother, Charlie,” Ron introduced to Harry, bringing Harry out of his internal musings. 


Charlie walked over and rubbed his hand in Harry’s hair. “I hear you’re now the best Seeker now.”


Harry grinned. “Yeah, it’s a lot of fun.” The worry and fear eased out of the boy. He loved that he was included. 


“So,” Bill called out. “Are we ready?”


There was a chorus of ‘yeah’ as the younger Weasley children and Harry walked out of the house. 


“We’ll be back soon,” Charlie said to their mum after kissing her on her cheek as he walked past her.


“Be careful with my babies,” Molly ordered. 


“You can trust us,” Bill reassured her. 


Charlie left to catch up with the others. Molly held Bill back for a moment.


“Keep an eye on Harry,” Molly spoke softly to her oldest. “There is more to that child than I think the world knows.”


Bill kissed his mum on the cheek and winked at her before leaving and catching up with the others. 


___000___000___000

The small group was out for a couple of hours trying to find the perfect tree. Each one argued the tree they picked was the best one. Each tree was greater than the previous one. After much bargaining and settling, the small group settled on the perfect tree. 


After Charlie cut the tree down, Bill decided to apparate back to the Burrow, so they wouldn’t have to worry about carrying it back.


On the walk back, Charlie went over to where Ron and Harry were talking. He put his arms around the eleven-year-olds shoulders.


“So, Harry,” Charlie said. “I hear you’re a pretty great Seeker.”


Before Harry could reply, Ron spoke up, “Pretty great? He’s wicked. He caught a remembrall. 


“Really?” Charlie was impressed. A remembrall, though larger than the Golden Snitch, was harder to see since it was mostly a clear ball with a few gold rims.  “How would you like to go against me?”


“Yeah, Harry,” Ron exclaimed. “The two best Gryffindor Seekers paired off against each other.”


Since Harry was so nervous when he first arrived, he didn’t catch on that Charlie standing next to him was THE Charlie everyone was talking about. The best Seeker for Gryffindor.


“What’s going on?” Fred asked when he looked back and saw Charlie talking to Ron and Harry.


“Yeah,” George agreed. 


“How about it, Harry?” Charlie asked. “You want to go against me to see who can catch the Snitch?”


“Wicked,” the twins said together.


“Do it,” Ron encouraged while nodding his head.


Harry was feeling a little overwhelmed. But he liked that they wanted to include him. And the idea of testing his skill against Gryffindor’s first and best Seeker, Charlie, would be wicked.


“Okay,” Harry accepted. 


“I want to challenge the winner,” Ginny pipped in. 


When they returned to the Burrow, the small group walked to the make-shift Quidditch pitch. Fred and George went to the small cupboard and gathered all the Quidditch supplies.


“What’s going on?” Bill asked as he walked out of the house.


“Competition,” Percy said, shaking his head. “Between Harry and Charlie.”  


“Well, let’s see,” Charlie challenged. “Fred,” he called out, “get the Snitch; I want to see how good Harry,” wrapping his arm around Harry’s shoulders, “is.” 


“Yeah,” Fred cheered. 


“Here you go, Harry,” Ron said, giving Harry his broom.


“Alright,” Charlie said, bringing Harry back to the game.


Ron went to Harry’s side. “It’s a practice Snitch,” he told Harry. “It won’t go as high as the one at school, but it’s still pretty fast.”


“Thanks,” Harry said, climbing on his borrowed broom.


“Alright, you two,” George called out. “In the air.”


Charlie and Harry looked at each other. Charlie winked at Harry and jumped off the ground. Harry smiled and saw the twins and Ron nodding to him, and he took to the air. 


“One….Two….Three,” George counted off. 


Fred let go of the Snitch, and the two Seekers took off. 


___000___000___000

Azkaban was a cold, dreary place. No self-respecting witch or wizard would voluntarily elect to come. Once a prisoner was dropped off, there would never be visitors to the small island. Traveling through rough tides was treacherous, trying to get to the stone prison. No matter the weather, there was a constant storm cloud over the triangle-shaped building.


The warden of Azkaban was confused when he received an owl stating a visitor was coming and that it would be the Headmaster of Hogwarts. The warden, Seamus Diggs, who grew up in Australia, only heard about the great Albus Dumbledore through the papers. He wondered why someone as renowned as Professor Dumbledore would want to visit Azkaban.


The elder wizard exited the small boat and headed up the small walkway towards the main door. There was no need to knock as the door opened once Albus stood before it. The warden greeted Albus. 


“Professor Dumbledore,” Seamus said, giving a slight bow. “It’s an honor to meet you.”


Albus didn’t reply; he only nodded. 


“Please follow me,” Seamus said, turning down a darkened corridor. 


There was nothing pleasant about this place. It wasn’t meant to be. Only the worse of the worst were sent here. There was no leniency or parole. Anyone that was sentenced to Azkaban was there for life. 


Albus knew before he left today that the belief of people sent to this prison would change. The Headmaster didn’t know how things would turn out. He knew after leaving here that he had to speak with Severus. He could have told him the day before, but he didn’t want to ruin his outing with his godson. Severus didn’t want to admit it, but he enjoyed spending time with Harry. Albus was brought out of his musings by the Warden’s voice.


“I set up a place for you to visit with the prisoner,” Seamus said. “We don’t usually have people wanting to come by. So forgive the crudeness of the place.”


“Don’t worry yourself,” Albus said softly. “I know this is unorthodox. Just bring him to me.”

 

Seamus nodded and was about to turn when Albus called him back. 


“Oh,” Albus continued, “you’ll get his papers ready while I am with him. He’ll be leaving with me.”


Seamus gaped at Albus. The idea of a prisoner leaving was unheard of. He didn’t know if there were papers to be filled out. After gathering himself, Seamus nodded and walked out of the small room. 


As Albus waited, he thought back to his unorthodox request to Amelia Bones. He had to do a lot of convincing to get the proper paperwork required for this meeting. 


“Albus, no offense,” Amelia said, “but have you lost your mind?”


“None taken, my dear,” Albus assured. “Things have been revealed that a great disservice was done to a wizard. I need to make it right and get to the truth.”


“What information?” Amelia asked, becoming more intrigued. 


Albus waved his hand around Amelia’s office, ensuring their conversation was private. “There was an addendum to the Potters’ Will. I believe that Sirius Black is innocent of murder.”


“But he confessed.”


“Yes,” Albus agreed. “But I’m not sure what he was confessing to. He was never given a trial.”


“That’s not possible,” Amelia rebuffed. “Everyone was given a trial.”


“Not Sirius.” Albus shook his head. “He was taken straight to Azkaban.”


Amelia stood from behind her desk and started pacing. “This is not good.”


“No, it’s not,” Albus agreed. “That’s why I need release forms for Sirius. Several things need to be cleared up.”  


“Professor,” Amelia said, turning to face the Professor. “If this gets out that a wizard was sent to Azkaban without a trial, there will be backlash.”


“My dear,” Albus said, standing up. “There are a lot of things that have been happening that shouldn’t have. I believe when this is straightened out, there will be a whole different outlook on the Wizarding community as a whole.”


Amelia was very good at her job. She was promoted to the Head of Magical Law Enforcement after the first war. She credited herself as someone who kept her emotions in check. But hearing Hogwarts’ Headmaster’s cryptic statement, she knew something significant was about to happen.


Albus didn’t sit. His nerves were on edge. He couldn’t believe what had and hadn’t occurred these last ten years. And most of the blame stopped at his feet. Again, all it would have taken was checking into Severus’ living quarters, both home and school, checking into Harry’s home life to see if he was being cared for. Now, genuinely learning what happened the night James and Lily died.


The door to the small room opened. Albus turned to see a shell of a man slowly walk inside. A guard and two dementors followed him. The man’s shoulders were slumped. Albus had seen that stance before. He didn’t like it when Severus first came to him. He didn’t like it when young Harry did it. Once again, his hatred with seeing the man before him doing it. The man before him used to be full of life. He always had a smile on his face. He was easy to find mischief. And he was devoted to those he called friends.  


“You can wait outside.” The command in Albus’ tone let the guard know that there was no question of what he wanted. “Take the dementors with you.”


“But-” the guard tried to protest.


“That was not a request,” Albus said. “Nor was I asking for your opinion.”


The guard left, followed by the two dementors. For a moment, there was not a word spoken. Albus walked over to the haggard man before him. 


“Sirius,” Albus said softly.


___000___000___000

“Time to eat,” Molly called out from the doorway.


Harry and Ron sat on a hay bale, watching Charlie and Ginny battling for the Snitch. Harry won against Charlie and then against Ginny. Harry was worried that Charlie would be angry when he beat the older Weasley. But Charlie just laughed, rubbed his head, and congratulated him. After that, Harry started to calm down and enjoyed himself. 


When they heard Mrs. Weasley call for supper, the group of seven boys and one girl rushed into the house. They all went to separate bathrooms to clean their hands and faces before sitting around the table. 


Harry was the last one to arrive at the kitchen. He saw everyone piling food onto their plates and eating. Harry was unsure what he was supposed to do. He didn’t want to impose on his friend’s family meal. But he was rather hungry. 


The sounds of the plates being scraped by utensils brought Harry back to a time he rather not remember. The smell of good food. Food freaks like him weren’t supposed to have. Freaks were only to serve but not eat with normal people. Seeing the food already on the table scared Harry. He didn’t put the food there. That meant he was in trouble. Harry started wrapping his fingers in his shirt as he tried to make himself as small as he backstepped towards the wall. 


“I’m sorry, Uncle,” Harry mumbled quietly to himself. “I’ll be better.” 


Harry continued his mumbling mantra over and over. 


The Weasleys continued filling their plates and conversing between themselves. At first, none of them noticed the rising panic attack that was happening in the corner of the kitchen. 


Bill was about to ask Charlie a question but noticed that Charlie’s attention was elsewhere. Charlie trained his ears so that he could hear the faintest of sounds. Being around dragons, knowing when a dragon would attack was vital. Through the conversations going around the table, Charlie heard Harry’s mumbling. Bill caught Charlie’s serious look. 


“Quiet,” Charlie ordered. Everyone around the table stopped what they were doing. 


The elder brothers looked at each other. The mumbling words, though they weren’t understandable, could be heard. Bill looked over and saw Harry cowering in the corner. He remembered how Harry acted when the Potters’ Will was read. How timid he was. Bill got up and walked over to the small black-haired boy. 


Bill knelt in front of Harry and tried to grab his cloth-trapped fingers. “You okay, Harry?”


When Bill touched Harry, the poor child started screaming his apologies, tears streaming down his cheeks. Harry curled himself into the corner. 


“I’m sorry. I’m sorry,” Harry cried. “I’ll do better. I won’t ask for food. Freaks don’t get food. I’ll be a good Freak. I won’t eat. I’m not worthy.”


Several gasps could be heard in the room. 


Bill looked at his parents. “Maybe we should call Madam Pomfrey?”


Molly quickly gathered herself and went to the floo.


“Poppy,” Molly called out into the green flames.


Poppy’s face appeared. “Oh, hello, Molly. What can I do for you?”


“We have Harry,” Molly stated. “He’s having some sort of panic attack. I thought maybe you had something that could calm him down.”


“You said, Harry?” Poppy said with urgency in her tone. 


“Yes.”


“Leave your floo open,” Poppy said. “Someone will be over.”


Before Molly could ask who was coming, the matron’s face disappeared from the flames. Molly stood to get out of the way of whoever was coming through. Out of anyone, the last person she expected to see walked through the floo. 


As if on a mission, Severus walked through the floo and went straight to where he heard the cries of his godson. He was in the middle of gathering ingredients. He thought he could use the time Harry was away to work on the list of potions Poppy needed for her stores. He always prided himself in being able to react calmly in the face of a crisis. His lack of emotions helped him survive his time as a spy. But hearing that Harry was in the middle of a panic attack put all his training on the back burner. 


Severus followed his godson’s voice and found him curled up in the corner. The Weasley children surrounded him. 


“Let me through,” Severus ordered. 


The Weasleys were shocked that Professor Snape was there. Their shock stance had them complying with Severus’ demands. When everyone stood back, Severus knelt in front of Harry. 


Severus shook his head at what Harry was saying. His anger for Harry’s relatives grew every time he heard the child’s despondent cries. 


Severus cupped the child’s face and moved it so Harry looked at him. 


“Harry,” Severus said quietly. “Harry, look at me.”


Severus had to say that several times before Harry’s facial features show his acknowledgment of Severus’ request. When Severus knew he had Harry’s attention, he said, “There’s my spider monkey,” freeing the child’s fingers and pulling off his glasses.


Hearing his safety say his nickname, Harry jumped up and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck. When he got a good grip on the boy, Severus stood up and faced the shocked faces of the Weasley clan. 


Harry wrapped his legs around Severus' waist, not caring about where he was or who was around. Being in his Godfather’s arms relaxed the child. He didn’t know how exhausted he was until he was in Severus’ arms. He laid his head in the crook of Severus’ neck and closed his eyes. Feeling Severus’ hand rubbing his back was soothing, causing Harry to fall asleep.


“Thank you for letting me know,” Severus said, addressing Arthur and Molly. “I’ll handle it from here. Thank you for allowing Harry to come over.”


“Anytime,” Arthur said, coming out of his stupor. “Hopefully, he can come back over.”


“I’m sure he would like that,” Severus said, walking over to the fireplace. Without another word, Severus walked through the green flames back to Hogwarts.


___000___000___000 

Sirius could not believe his luck. The last person he thought he would see was his former Headmaster. For ten years, Sirius lived with the guilt that he killed his best friend. The biggest reason he didn’t fight for having a trial. But meeting with Dumbledore proved that his guilt, though real, was misplaced. 


He was out of Azkaban. Seeing the light of day was amazing. Growing up, Sirius took walking around different places whenever he wanted to for granted. Now, the fact that he was walking on free land was a treasure. 


Now free, he would make up his time away from his godson. His other regret. He let his temper take over and left Harry all alone. Well, he won’t be alone anymore. Sirius was going to take his rightful place and care for his godson.


Sirius was in the Infirmary at Hogwarts. Albus told him that he needed rest and looking after. Poppy helped clean him up, giving him fresh pajamas and a healthy meal. He couldn’t remember the last time he had fresh fruit and vegetables. It was heaven. Poppy had to keep reminding him that he should slow down eating, so he didn’t get a stomachache.


Feeling clean and satiated from hunger, his weary body could finally get the rest he so richly deserved.

 

___000___000___000

Poppy was surprised by her newest patient. She was on her way out of the castle when she got a message from Albus, asking her to stay for a few more days. She knew it had to be vital for him to ask. Not really having plans, she agreed. 


When she saw the haggard man shuffle into the Infirmary, she had no idea who he was. Surprised wasn’t the word that adequately described her feelings towards the man before her. At first, it was fear because of the charges Sirius was arrested for. Under He Who Must Not Be Named, Sirius was up there with the most dangerous of wizards. The Potters’ murder was one of the most horrific acts that night. But after speaking with Albus and reading the scroll he received from Bill Weasley, she set aside her feelings and judgment for the patient and did her best to help get Sirius Black comfortable.


Poppy walked over to the cot where Sirius was lying. She carried a tray filled with potions and ointments and began her work of healing Sirius. 


It took a couple of hours to heal Sirius of his many wounds completely. He would have to have frequent, small meals to help build up his stomach to take a healthy serving of meals. After she finished and gathered her supplies, she vanished the tray and simultaneously had a tray of soup, bread, and warm milk appear.


“I know you must be starving,” Poppy said, placing the tray on Sirius’ pillow-covered lap. “But I need you to try and take your time and eat. If you eat too fast, you’ll make yourself sick.” She patted Sirius’ shoulder before turning away.


“Madam Pomfrey.” Sirius’ voice was weak from non-use.


Poppy turned and looked at her patient. His long black hair, which used to have volume and natural soft curls, now looked oily and limp, blanketing his taut face.


“Thank you,” Sirius said. 


Poppy had a slight smile while petting Sirius’ covered foot. “Try and eat. Then get some rest. Call me if you need me.”


___000___000___000

Albus stepped through the floo, entering his adopted son’s chambers. He was about to call out for Severus when he looked around at how the rooms were decorated. The Headmaster was in awe at the number of decorations lined the walls. There wasn’t an empty spot that didn’t have some form of Christmas decoration. Well, except Severus’ chair. Albus could just see in his mind’s eye the possible conversation between Severus and Harry to keep his chair plain. Albus was brought out of his inner thoughts by the chamber door opening. 


Severus walked in with Harry lying limp in his arms. Seeing Albus in his chambers, Severus knew he wouldn’t hear the end of it about how the rooms were covered from ceiling to floor with all those gaudy decorations. He didn’t want this mess in his chambers, but considering how his godson looked while they shopped and decorated, Severus couldn’t begrudge the child for having the Christmas he wanted and deserved. 


“Why are you here, old man?” Severus snarled as he carefully came out of his outer robes without jostling Harry.


“I needed to talk to you,” Albus said, “but I’m glad you’ve decided to join us in the Christmas spirit. The place looks festive.”


Severus rolled his eyes as he walked over to the sofa and sat down with Harry still against his chest.


“This place looks obnoxious,” Severus sneered. 


“Stop it,” Albus said, sitting down in the only undecorated chair. “You cannot tell me that you didn’t enjoy putting up these decorations.”


Severus didn’t say anything.


“As I recall,” Albus started, “you gotten upset when you thought-”


“Is there a reason you’re here?” Severus asked, cutting Albus off.


Albus couldn’t help chuckling at his adopted son. After a beat of silence, Albus’ mood changed. 


“I did have a reason,” Albus said solemnly. “I wanted to let you know that Sirius is out of Azkaban. I went to pick him up.”


Severus, again, said nothing. He didn’t look at Albus. The only movement he did was slowly rubbing his hand up and down Harry’s back.


“This changes nothing, Severus,” Albus said.


“If you’ll excuse me, Albus,” Severus said, standing up. “I need to put Harry to bed. He’s had an emotional afternoon. You saw yourself in here; you can see yourself out.” 


Before Albus could say anything, Severus walked down the small hallway that led further into his chambers. Albus hated that Severus was feeling like this. He wished he could implore his son that just because Sirius Black was first named Godfather to Harry didn’t mean that Harry would be taken away now that Sirius was free. Because Harry was eleven, he was old enough to decide who he wanted to be with or even if he wanted either one in his life.


___000___000___000

Harry woke up and looked around. He didn’t recognize where he was. It was dark where he was. There was a small orange glow that barely lit the room. Harry was used to being in a room with little light. Not wanting to get caught by his uncle, Harry curled into a fetal position. He tried to make himself fall asleep, but two things made themselves known that prevented him from falling back asleep. He had to use the toilet, and he was hungry.


Harry knew his punishment would be awful if he got caught sneaking out of his cupboard. But his body’s needs outweighed his fear of punishment. He didn’t want to get in trouble, but he also didn’t want to explain why he soiled his cupboard up because he didn’t go to the bathroom before he was put in his cupboard. 


Harry held his breath and tried to listen for any movement. He’s snuck out before and learned a few tricks so he wouldn’t get caught. He didn’t hear anything. Biting his bottom lip, Harry silently climbed out of his bed. 


Harry crept to the door and slowly cracked it open so he could peep through it. The outside was dark. He could hear nothing. A small smile curved the boy’s mouth as he opened the door just enough so he could slip through. He slowly crept down the small hallway towards the bathroom. When he made it inside, Harry couldn’t contain his grin. He quickly did his business and cleaned his hands. He knew flushing the toilet and running the water could be loud, so he tried to work quickly. If the bathroom lights were off, Uncle Vernon usually would think it was Dudley. That has worked for Harry a few times. 


___000___000___000

Sirius Black was out of Azkaban. There was no love lost between the two wizards. Their animosity between the two was mutual. Sirius would bully Severus during their time in school, but Severus wasn’t a chump. He gave as good as he got. It was never just Black when it came to the bullying and pranking. Potter and Lupin would join in as well. Pettigrew would be there but didn’t do much. When Severus had Lily on his side, it even the score. Lily Evans was an extraordinary witch. No one could surpass her in spells and jinks. 


Severus felt himself remembering the past. The small joys. The pitfalls. The good and bad decisions. And his greatest failure. It was amazing that just hearing a name from your past could bring back so many things. Severus did not like dwelling in the past. Though it had small good things, his past wasn’t the best to reminisce about. Guilt, rage, and sorrow were the only things that could be found if Severus went down memory lane.


The sound of the toilet flushing brought Severus back to the present. That let him know that Harry was awake, and even though it was a little late for dinner, Severus would expect the child to be hungry. He slept through dinner. 


Severus looked up when he saw the child at the end of the hallway. He was shocked at what he was seeing. It wasn’t that the child was up but that he was actually tip-toeing towards the kitchenette.


“Planning mischief, Mr. Potter?” Severus said. “I would think you wouldn’t be so fool-hearted as to think it would be a great idea to sneak around in a professor’s chambers.”  


Hearing a male voice, Harry jumped in surprise and landed on his knees. 


“I’m sorry, Uncle Vernon. I’m sorry,” Harry cried. “I’ll go back. I promise. I know Freaks aren’t supposed to be out this late. I wasn’t going to steal anything.”


Severus's teasing feeling quickly morphed to concern, hearing the child’s pleas. He rushed out of his chair going to the child curled into a ball on the floor. When Severus put his hand on Harry’s back, he could feel the child’s muscles tighten. He began rubbing the child’s back, hoping to soothe the boy. 


“Harry,” Severus called out, using a soothing tone not to frighten the child any more than he already was. “Harry, listen to me. I need you to wake up.”


Harry’s apologetic mantra continued as if Severus didn’t say anything. Having lived a familiar life as Harry growing up, Severus knew the signs of a night terror. This was no ordinary nightmare. 


Severus gripped the child under his arm and picked the boy off the floor. He carried Harry to the couch and placed the child on his lap. The Potions Master wrapped his arms around the small child and comforted him until Harry seemed to come out of his caged terror. He figured when Harry didn’t feel any of the beatings he imagined would come, he should calm down. 


Severus tightened his arms to give Harry good pressure to assure the child he wasn’t alone. He slowly rocked from side to side and hummed an old lullaby he learned from Lily when she helped him when he had trouble sleeping.


Lily and Severus would sneak to the Room of Requirement after curfew. She knew Severus had problems sleeping. So, some nights they would sleep in the Room of Requirement. She would sit at the head of his bed and sing a lullaby to help calm him down so he could go back to sleep. Maybe some memories weren’t so bad, Severus thought as he rocked his godson in his arms. 


___000___000___000

“I’m sorry, Professor,” Harry said softly.


Severus lowered the morning’s edition of the Daily Prophet. The two wizards were sitting at the table in the kitchenette, eating breakfast. 


“I have told you, Harry,” Severus sighed. “You did nothing wrong. It was a night terror. You couldn’t help it.”


“But I didn’t mean to keep you up all night,” Harry pleaded. 


“Mr. Potter,” Severus said. “If you must know, you did not keep me awake. I fell asleep. And you, being the spider monkey you are, you didn’t want to be alone. It is fine. It is not the first time you’ve attached yourself to me, and I promise it will not be the last time.”


“So,” Harry whispered, “you’re not mad?”


Severus raised the paper back up, so the child didn’t see him smiling. “I am not. Now finish eating. I would like to see Madam Pomfrey before she leaves for holiday.”


Severus and Harry made their way to the Infirmary. Severus promised that nothing would happen to him. It didn’t mean that Harry wasn’t worried. He liked Madam Pomfrey. She was always nice to him when he was there, so that should be a comfort. But it still didn’t calm that nagging feeling in his stomach that something terrible would happen. 


Severus looked down at his godson and saw the tension rolling off the child in waves. He hated that Harry’s relatives planted those horrid ideas in his head about doctors. 


“Harry,” Severus said, putting his hand on the child’s shoulder. “It will be fine. You’ve been with Madam Pomfrey since the beginning of the year. You know she will take care of you.”


Harry looked up at Severus and nodded. He agreed that the medi-witch would be nice. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He could do this. 


Severus opened the Infirmary doors, and the man and child walked in.


Severus saw Poppy was by one of the further cots. His brow furrowed, wondering who could be on it. The students were home. And there were few professors left. 


“Poppy,” Severus called out. 


Poppy turned towards the Infirmary doors and smiled at her new visitors. She knew she would be giving Harry a full check-up. 


“Good morning, Severus,” Poppy said. “I should–”


“SEVERUS!”


A tray fell to the floor, phials smashing against the floor. Poppy was roughly moved to the side. She almost lost her footing, leaning against the cot. 


“SNIVELLOUS, YOU DEATH EATER SCUM!” Sirius yelled. 


A squeak came from Harry as he ducked behind Severus’ back, plastering himself against his Godfather. Harry grabbed handfuls of Severus’ cloak, pulling it to his face. 


Severus felt hurt and betrayed by seeing Black in the infirmary. Why didn’t Albus tell him he was in the school? Severus wouldn’t have stayed if he had been privy to that information. He flicked his wrist, freeing his wand. He kept his arm down as he didn’t want the off chance of Poppy being in the crossfire, but he would be damned if he would be unarmed with Black around. 


Poppy regained her footing and waved her hand, sending out her Patronus.


“GIVE ME MY GODSON!”


TBC

                   

To be continued...
Chapter 20: Not As Planned by mandancie
Author's Notes:
I hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Christmas.

The Weasleys were dumbfounded by what they had just witnessed. No one was eating. Arthur and Molly looked at each other. He realized that Molly had the same look of confusion on her face that he knew he had. 


Those despondent cries seemed to continue echoing throughout the house. This was Harry Potter. The Boy Who Lived. The rumors circulated in the Wizarding community for the past ten years never equated to this. It was believed that the child was respected and revered. Loved and cherished.


Molly had a feeling when she first laid eyes on Harry that there was something not right with the child. Never. Never would she imagine that he was abused. Tears streamed down her face as she tried to hold in her anger for what the poor child must have lived through. 


The unusual silence within the Weasleys’ home halted when a dish crashed against the farthest wall, and footsteps stomped out of the house.


Molly was shaken out of her tearful musing when she looked out the window and saw her second child storming towards the shed. She saw Arthur moving towards the door. Typically, Arthur would handle the children when they got emotional, but she stopped her husband by raising her hand. 


“I’ll go check on Charlie,” Molly said. “Y’all try and finish your dinner.”


The sun was beginning to set. The slight heat that the sun gave left entirely. Molly grabbed her coat as well as one for Charlie.


Charlie was her most sensitive son. He felt that he had to take care of everyone. He was also the most even-tempered one, a trait that came in handy when working on a dragon preserve. 


Molly could count on one hand how many times Charlie lost his temper. So, seeing her son storm off and hearing the crashing noises coming from the shed the closer she got gave her the knowledge that Charlie was taking this situation poorly. 


When she reached the shed and opened the door, she saw Charlie punching the wooden post in a rage. 


“Charlie,” Molly called out in a panic as she rushed to her son. “Charlie, no. Stop.”


She rushed to her son, pulled him away from the post, and turned him around so he could face her. It took all her strength to hold him back. Molly might be shorter and softer than her sons, but raising six boys taught her how to deal with their growing strengths. She was successful in separating Charlie from continuing to pummel the wooden post. Molly saw that her son was shivering. She didn’t know if it was from the cold or the adrenaline that fueled his rage. 


Molly pulled Charlie towards the small worktable in front of a small window. The table had different Muggle items. It was no secret of Arthur’s obsession with Muggle trinkets. But the forgotten items were not the source of attention for Molly. She sat her son down on the stool in front of the table so she could get a better look at his bruised hand.


Waving her hand, she brightened the dim light over the table. She wrapped Charlie’s winter coat around his shoulders and kissed him on the crown of his head. Molly held the bruised hand to get a better look at it. The skin was broken, and there was blood. But since the post didn’t seem splintered, she didn’t think any wood pieces got under the skin, but she would get a better look when she got him back inside the house. She took off the scarf around her neck and began wrapping Charlie’s hand.


“Who could do this?” Charlie asked. His voice was hoarse from the screaming before.


Molly looked at her son. 


“Who could hurt a-a child, a small child, and make him believe he’s a freak?” 


“I know,” Molly replied. “It’s a shock to all of us. None of us imagined that Harry was raised with that kind of fear.”


“The boy believed that he didn’t deserve food,” Charlie growled. 


“Yes,” Molly agreed. “But now he’s here.” Molly cupped her son’s face. “Your father and I will talk with Minerva and Albus in the morning to see what we can do to help Harry. He’s not with whoever he was with before now. And I promise you, your father and I will make sure he will not return to them.”


+0+0+0

Ron didn’t know what to think. Hearing his best friend’s cries was too much. For the first time, Ron wasn’t hungry. He looked around and saw that everyone else wasn’t eating as well. 


“Dad,” Ron said, breaking the silence in the room. “May I be excused? I don’t want anything.” Before the youngest male Weasley got an answer, he got up and left the table. 


The twins watched as their little brother retreated to the stairs and climbed them. Fred and George looked at each other, and with their food forgotten, they followed Ron to his room. They were just as baffled but knew they had to figure out something to help Harry when they returned to school. 


The remainder of the Weasley children got up and left, leaving Arthur alone at the table. The small child’s cries of not asking to eat replayed over and over in Arthur’s head. Looking at the mountain of food still on the table, he could not fathom not feeding a child. He looked around his humble home. They didn’t have a complete set of dishes. They got their pots and pans from a second-hand store in Diagon Alley. Their children wore hand-me-down clothes. Poor Ron, being the youngest son, rarely had new clothes. 


Arthur knew his family wasn’t wealthy monetarily, but he always felt their wealth was in love. He was proud of his children. They loved and looked out for each other. As long as Arthur lived, never had he heard of such abuse. Poor Harry was scared witless. The thought of having a child fear asking for food was outrageous. Something had to be done. And quickly. 


Molly walked into the house with Charlie in tow. When the pair got to the kitchen, Molly inquired about the other children. 


Arthur stood up and walked over to Charlie, seeing the blood-soaked scarf. “They couldn’t eat. What happened?”


Molly escorted Charlie to one of the chairs and sat him down. She rubbed her hand over Charlie’s hair before placing a kiss on his forehead. “Trying to release tension.”


Charlie could hear his parents talking about him. He just didn’t have the energy to respond to them. He stared at the corner of the room where young Harry had been cowered just a few moments before. His thoughts were still plagued with a too-small child’s cries and pleas. 


For the first time in Weasley's history, there were leftovers. Before Molly tended to Charlie’s injuries, she waved her hand over the uneaten food, setting them in preserved containers so the food could be consumed another day. 


Later that night, while Arthur was making his last rounds about the house, checking that the wardings would keep his family safe, Percy walked up to him.


“Percy,” Arthur said. “I thought you were in bed.”


“I’ve been thinking,” Percy said. “I have enough classes that if I asked Professor McGonagall for more work during the summer, I could finish Hogwarts sooner. I could get a job, help out with things around here, and we could help Harry. And it wouldn’t be a strain on the family. I’ll make my own money, so you and mum wouldn’t have to work so hard.”


Arthur walked up to his most practical son and cupped his face. 


“My dear, Percy,” Arthur praised. “You have a kind, giving heart.” Arthur pulled his son closer and kissed his forehead. “We are fine. The last thing I want you to worry about is our income. You and your siblings will always be taken care of. As for your schooling, you will continue to go about your classes as you are supposed to. You will not try to finish early. I want you to enjoy your time now.” Arthur raised his hand because he could see his son’s argument about to come forth.


“And another thing,” Arthur continued, “your mother and I have already discussed talking with Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall in the morning. We will see what can be done. I want you to worry about school.”


“It’s so much for you and mum,” Percy pleaded. “I want to help.”


“You are helping,” Arthur countered. “You help with your younger siblings. You work hard in school. I have nothing to worry about when it comes to you and the responsibilities you hold. You are a prefect for Gryffindor. What more can I ask? Go, get some rest. We will all see how we can help young Harry. As a family.”


Percy nodded. 


“Up to bed with you,” Arthur said, releasing his son. He watched as Percy climbed the stairs. He double-checked the door. When he turned to head to the master bedroom, he saw Molly standing by the stairs. 


Without a word said between them, he looked at her and knew she was thinking the same thing he was. People just know what their partners feel when they are together for a long time. Arthur walked to Molly, softly kissing her, and the two walked to their room.


___000___000___000

“Good morning, Albus,” Minerva greeted when she walked into the Headmaster’s chambers.


“Good morning, my dear,” Albus greeted back. “Tea?”


“Thank you.” Minerva walked to the side table with a tea service, sweet and savory biscuits, and scones. “I take it you’re not feeling up to going to the Great Hall this morning.”


“No,” Albus said, leaning back in his chair. “I am not in the best of moods after leaving Azkaban.”


Minerva put her cup and saucer on the table. “If you’d rather be….”


“No,” Albus cut her off. “I enjoy your company. Actually, I’m more worried about Severus.”


“Why?”


“I was successful in getting Sirius released,” Albus informed Minerva. “I told Severus last night.”


Before Albus could elaborate further, Poppy’s Patronus floated into the chamber.


“This can’t be good,” Albus said, getting up.


The two floo’ed to the Infirmary, walking out of the fireplace hearth into a screaming match. Sirius was shaking, barely able to keep himself standing, leaning against Poppy and screaming at Severus, who was standing firm with his wand in his hand while the other was trying to comfort poor Harry, who was cowering behind the Potions Master. 


Minerva went to assist Poppy in returning Sirius to his cot. Albus walked over to his son.


“Severus,” Albus soothed.


“You lied to me,” Severus snarled. His head turned to face Albus. 


“I’ve done no such thing,” Albus calmly said. 


“Why didn’t you tell me he was here?” Severus asked, pointing in Sirius’ direction with his wand. 


“I didn’t think it would be an issue,” Albus said. 


Severus looked at the Headmaster. He wanted to continue showing Albus how much it enraged him that Sirius Black and he were again under the same roof. But the shaken whispers that were coming from behind him stilled his tongue.


“I don’t want to go. I promise I’ll be good. I don’t want to go with the bad people. I won’t say anything. I don’t wanna. I don’t wanna hurt.”


Severus tried to move Harry so the child was standing before him. That process was more challenging. Harry refused to let go of Severus’ robes and rooted himself so he couldn’t be moved. 


Severus glared at Albus as he sheathed his wand and shrugged out of his outer robes, and turned to face his godson. All the while, Sirius’ constant yelling was like white noise in the background. With the grip Harry gave Severus’ robes, Severus picked up the child and robes. 


“Do not leave this castle,” Albus ordered. 


Severus didn’t respond as he turned and walked out of the Infirmary but stopped when he saw who was on the other side of the doors. 


___000___000___000

After promising their children they would be back with news, Arthur and Molly apparated to the gates of Hogwarts and made the final trek toward the school. So many memories flooded the Weasleys’ minds as they made their way to the castle doors. 


A few children were playing in the snow. Some were making snowmen, while others had snowball fights. 


When they got inside, the Weasleys headed for Professor McGonagall’s chambers. On their way, they heard a commotion down one of the corridors. Being the parents of Fred and George, they knew that particular corridor led to the Infirmary. 


“I think I heard Minerva,” Molly said as she got out of the stairwell.


“I don’t think so,” Arthur said. “The amount of screaming. How can you tell if it is from a man or woman?”


“Seven children,” Molly answered as she continued on her walk. 


Arthur shook his head as he followed Molly. They were met by the Infirmary doors banging open, and Severus was about to emerge from the room. Once again, he was holding Harry in his arms.


“What are you doing here?” Severus growled.


“Came to talk about Harry,” Molly said, still stunned from the door bursting open and the yelling that was still happening inside the Infirmary.  


“What about him?” Severus sneered.


Before Molly or Arthur could reply, Albus walked over to the small group of people, putting his hand on Severus’ shoulder. “Why don’t we take this to my chambers? It will be a little quieter. I’m sure Harry would rather be around quiet about now.”


Severus was about to refuse, but the look he received from Albus let him know that his statement wasn’t a request. It was an order. Taking a deep breath, holding it for a moment, then releasing it, Severus turned and made the stroll to Albus’ chambers.


___000___000___000

When the Infirmary doors closed, Minerva focused on Sirius, who was still trying to get out of Poppy’s grip.


“Mr. Black,” Minerva said in her sternest voice. “Kindly stop all this racket and get back into bed.”


Sirius’ rage turned to Minerva. “I need to get my godson!”


“First of all,” Minerva said softly. “I will not be spoken to in that manner. I don’t know if your time in Azkaban warped your memory, but I will not tolerate such disrespect.”


Sirius was shocked into silence at the tone he was receiving. He was no longer fighting Poppy against getting back into bed. The next thing he knew, she pulled the covers over his lap. 


“Secondly,” Minerva continued. “You will not see anyone in this state. You will not traumatize Harry.”


“He’s already traumatized,” Sirius argued. “You need to get him away from Snivellous.”


“Sirius,” Poppy rebuked.


He continued, ignoring Poppy’s admonishment. “He’s a Death Eater. I will not have my godson associating with such filth.”


Minerva couldn’t believe what she was hearing. One of her Gryffindors. She knew Sirius and Severus didn’t get along. It was no secret that there was no love lost between them. It seemed she ignored what was obvious. The more she listened, the guiltier she felt toward Severus. 


“Just stop,” Minerva said. “Poppy,” looking at the nurse, “could you excuse us for a minute? What is about to happen doesn’t need witnesses.”


Sirius’ greyish pallor deepened at his previous Head of House’s words. 


Poppy looked down at Sirius, and without a word, she turned and headed to her office, closing the door behind her. 


“Professor McGonagall,” Sirius began.


“You know, Sirius,” Minerva said, waving her hand. “I think you’ve said enough.” A chair floated over to her, and she sat down. “It’s my turn.”


Sirius closed his mouth, leaning against the headboard of the bed. 


“I’ve listened to you rant,” Minerva began. “And I have to say I’m very disappointed. Do you even realize what you were doing? Did you see what you caused?”


“I didn’t cause anything,” Sirius said vehemently. “Harry doesn’t need to be with that Death Eater.”


“And why do you believe that Severus is a Death Eater?” Minerva asked.


“That greasy Slytherin was destined to be a Death Eater,” Sirius sneered, crossing his arms over his chest. “Always following around after that ponce, Malfoy. It was just a matter of time.”


“Hmm,” Minerva sighed. “I never thought I would see the day.”


“What?”


“I always thought you would be different,” Minerva continued. “I thought you getting sorted into Gryffindor would have broken the cycle.” Minerva shook her head. “I guess not.”


“What are you talking about?”


“You sound just like Walburga,” Minerva sighed. “I would never think you, of all people, wouldn’t prejudge someone without finding out the truth.” 


Sirius sat in silence. He couldn’t believe what he had just heard. Never would he want to be compared to that awful woman. He hated his mother. She spewed evil. He was so grateful for the Potters. He didn’t think he would have survived if he had stayed home.


“I am nothing like that miserable woman,” Sirius screamed. 


“I’m not so sure,” Minerva said softly. “You believe Severus was a Death Eater without any real proof. You both graduated from here at the same time. What evidence do you have that he became a Death Eater?”


Sirius was silent.


“Exactly,” Minerva continued. “You have no proof. Only your prejudice that he would become a Death Eater because he was in Slytherin. You know the same could be said about you.”


Sirius was about to reply, but Minerva raised her hand to halt his words. 


“But you didn’t.”


Sirius huffed like a petulant child, sitting back against the headboard again.


Minerva shook her head and continued. 


“Now, this horrid nickname I keep hearing from you,” Minerva said. 


“What?” Sirius sulked. 


“Snevillous.”


Sirius didn’t try to hide the smirk. 


“Where did that name originate from?” Minerva asked. 


“He was always sniveling behind Lily,” Sirius said. Amusement in his tone. “It was pathetic.”


“Oh.” Minerva nodded. “Like how you would follow James around.”


Sirius’ amusement disappeared. 


“If my memory is correct,” Minerva continued, disregarding Sirius’ comfort level. “Whenever I saw James, you weren’t far behind. Did James even have privacy going to the toilet?”


“That’s not funny,” Sirius vehemently said. 


“No,” Minerva agreed sternly. “It’s not. Lily was Severus’ friend, just like James was yours. But you picked on Severus for doing the EXACT same thing you were doing.”


Sirius couldn’t respond. He had nothing to say in his defense. 


“Now, as to Harry,” Minerva said, changing the subject. 


“He should be with me,” Sirius said petulantly. “I’m his Godfather.”


“Yes,” Minerva agreed, nodding. “Yes, you are. But so is Severus.”


Sirius’ jaw dropped. “What? That’s not possible!” He yelled. “Who would name that greasy git Harry’s Godfather?”


“Lily.”


Once again, Sirius was shocked silent. Why would Lily do something like that?


“Maybe, because Severus was her friend,” Minerva said, looking at Sirius’ surprised face. “You mumble loudly.” 


There was a beat of silence between the two Gryffindors before Minerva spoke again.


“And since you’re so worried about Harry now,” Minerva began. “What about before? Why did you leave him? I know you were at the house. You let Hagrid use your bike.”


“I went after that rat,” Sirius proclaimed. “The one who sold them out.” 


“You were their secret keeper, yes?” Minerva asked.


“No,” Sirius said. “Peter was.”


“Peter?” Minerva questions. “Peter Pettegrew? The fourth of your group?”


Sirius sighed. “I figured when James and Lily went into hiding, people would assume I would know. No one would ever suspect Peter.”


“So, Peter, your friend,” Minerva said. “You’re Gryffindor friend, sold James and Lily out to the Dark Lord?”


Sirius didn’t answer.


“So, all that talk before about Severus being a Death Eater because he was in Slytherin. But in actuality, it was a Gryffindor. One of your best friends. That was actually a Death Eater and had your James and Lily killed. And you still claim that Severus is one. Does that even make sense? But I digress. You left Harry. I believe you only care about Harry now because he was with Severus.”


Sirius looked at Minerva, shocked at what she had just said. That wasn’t it. He was Harry’s Godfather.


Before he could defend himself, Minerva stood up, waving her hand to put the chair back.


“Get some rest, Sirius,” Minerva ordered. “Once Poppy clears you, you have a lot of explaining to do. Also, you must prove to me that you didn’t sell out James and Lily.”


“I’m telling you the truth,” Sirius pleaded.


“That may be.” Minerva shrugged. “But you will not come anywhere near Harry until the truth comes out.”


Minerva walked away from Sirius’ bed, heading towards Poppy’s office.


___000___000___000

Harry felt his safety stop moving and hazard a peak over Severus’ shoulder. He was a little puzzled as to why Ron’s parents were there. They were nice people. They let him come to their house. He played Quidditch with the others. They even let him pick their Christmas tree. 


They were friendly people. His uncle told him that he would be sent to bad people. They would hurt him every day. They were going to do bad things to him. 


But his safety said he wouldn’t leave. Even with that scary man in the Infirmary, his Professor protected him. Just feeling his Professor’s arms around him made Harry want to believe him more and more. 


Harry turned his head, cradled between Severus’ neck and shoulder. “Professor,” he whispered. 


“Yes, Harry,” Severus answered. 


“Am I getting sent to be with Ron?”


Severus huffed before answering the boy. “Must I brew a potion so that you will learn how to listen?”


Puzzled, Harry lifted his head so that he could look at Severus. 


“How many times do I have to tell you before you get it into that thick head of yours,” he said, using a potion-stained finger to lightly poke Harry’s head, “you are stuck with me. You decorated our chambers with all those ostentatious decorations.”


Harry couldn’t help but giggle at Severus when he talked about the decorations, but he didn’t miss his safety, saying “our” chambers.


Seeing the child smile, even giggle, Severus asked, “Are you feeling better?”


“Yeah,” Harry said as he cuddled against Severus.


“I can put you down,” Severus said.


Harry nodded as he was lowered to the floor. Harry looked over and saw Mrs. Weasley. She gave great hugs and said if he ever wanted one, she would give him one. Harry wanted a hug, knowing there was no threat of him leaving his safety. Harry didn’t realize he was wrapping his fingers in his robes until he felt Professor Snape pulling his robes free of his fingers. 


Harry slowly walked over to Mrs. Weasley. 


“Hi, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry softly said. 


“Harry,” Molly replied, smiling down at the child. 


“Uhm, can I? I mean, may I?” Harry stuttered through his words.


Molly held out her arms and asked, “Would you like a hug, Harry?”


Harry beamed at Ron’s mother as he rushed into her waiting arms. 


“Never doubt,” Molly whispered in Harry’s ear. “Whenever you need a hug, I will be here.”


Harry stepped back. “Thanks, Mrs. Weasley.”


“You are an extraordinary and loved child,” Molly said, cupping the small child’s face. She wanted to make sure that Harry understood what she wanted to convey. “I don’t want you ever to feel that you are not worthy. You understand?” 


“Yes, Mrs. Weasley.” Harry nodded as best he could with his head cradled in Molly’s warm hands.


“Well,” Albus said, breaking up the small group. “Let’s have some tea in my chambers. I assume you have much to discuss.” 


Molly nodded as she stepped back from Harry.


“Can I go visit Hagrid?” Harry asked. “I want to check on Fang. He was hurt, and I want to make sure he’s okay. Please, Professor. He’s my friend.”


Severus sighed. He didn’t want to be the villain about this. Under different circumstances, he wouldn’t mind Harry walking to Hagrid’s hut, but with these attacks that kept occurring around the child. Severus wanted his godson to be safe. 


“I’ll walk with Harry,” Arthur said.


Severus looked at Arthur and could have sworn the man could read his thoughts. Severus nodded. 


“Come, Harry,” Arthur said, holding out his arm.


“Tami,” Severus called out. 


A small house-elf popped next to Severus.


“Bring Mr. Potter’s winter cloak, hat, and gloves.”


“Yes, Master Sev’us,” Tami said before popping away. Seconds later, she returned with the requested items. 


Severus watched as Harry and Arthur walked down the corridor. 


“Severus,” Molly called out, bringing Severus out of his inner thoughts. “I’m glad that Harry has someone on his side.”


Before Severus could respond, Albus waved his hand in front of the Griffin statue. Once the stairs emerged, “Let’s have some tea.”


After the tea was distributed, Albus said, “It is always a pleasure seeing you, my dear. I’m sure you have a full house now.”


“Yes,” Molly replied, smiling. “It’s lovely having all my children home.”


“Yes, I’m sure,” Albus said. “But I must inquire why are you here? Is everything well at home?”


“Everything is fine,” Molly eased. “I must confess Arthur and I came to speak to you and Minerva about Harry.”


Hearing Harry’s name brought Severus out of his musings. 


“What about Harry?” Severus asked. 


Molly looked over at Severus, sitting next to her, “When you came and picked Harry up, the child mumbled some words that troubled us. We wanted to know if you were aware and what was being done about it.”


“I assure you Potter is taken care of,” Severus said sharply. 


“Severus,” Albus chided. 


“I mean no disrespect, Severus,” Molly quickly said. “My children were worried about Harry. They didn’t like what he was saying. We wanted to offer our help. But seeing you with the child just now assures me that Harry will be just fine.”


Severus had to take a breath. Dealing with Black earlier has made him hypersensitive concerning Harry. Severus needed to occlude his mind. Mrs. Weasley wasn’t questioning him but assuring his role in Harry’s life. 


“There is a lot that has to be worked out with Harry. I appreciate your concern,” Severus said. 


Molly reached over and squeezed Severus' forearm.   


___000___000___000 

Arthur and Harry walked down the snowy path toward Hagrid’s hut. Arthur wanted to talk to Harry about what happened when he was at their house. But he didn’t want to upset the child. 


Harry called out to Hagrid, bringing Arthur from his thoughts. “Hey, Hagrid.” The boy took off running.


Before Hagrid could even wave, Fang barrelled out of the cabin, running full force towards Harry. Arthur was about to caution Harry to get out of the way. He felt his heart start pounding double-time, pulling his wand out, when he saw Harry take off running. 


“Harry,” Arthur called out, bringing up his wand. He froze when he saw the child wrap his arm around the colossal dog’s neck with ease and whip around, and land on the dog’s back.


Arthur lowered his wand and couldn’t help chuckling to himself. Harry would do fantastic with his brood. What the child just did was something the twins would probably do. Once his heart slowed to an average rate, he continued walking towards Hagrid’s cabin.


“Look, Mr. Weasley,” Harry shouted excitedly. “He’s better. He’s better.”


“I see,” Arthur said. “Hello, Hagrid.”


“Arthur, wonderful to see you,” Hagrid said. 


The men stood back while watching Harry roughhouse with the boarhound.


___000___000___000

After an energetic visit with Hagrid and Fang, Arthur and Harry strolled back toward the castle. Molly was standing at the doors. 


“Hi, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said with a smile. He rushed over and hugged her. 


Molly was momentarily surprised by the action, but it didn’t stop her from wrapping her arms around the child. She loved that he took her invitation seriously. She squeezed tightly but not too tight. She thought about what she and Severus had talked about. Having the reassurances, she knew that Harry would be fine. She kissed Harry on the head, bringing him out at arm's length. 


“You are an extraordinary boy,” Molly affirmed. “And you are welcome to come over whenever you want. Professor Snape wants you to head straight to his chambers.”


“Yes, ma’am,” Harry said and headed inside, going in that direction.


Molly walked over to Arthur, wrapping her arms around his and leaning on his shoulder. “Let’s get home to our brood.”


“Everything okay?” Arthur asked as the two of them walked towards the front gates.


“Everything is lovely. Harry is going to be okay. He has a powerful and competent wizard in his corner. Severus will take care of him.”


“Yes,” Arthur said as they got past the anti-apparating point. “And he has us.” He leaned down, kissing Molly on her cheek before the both of them apparated.


TBC  


To be continued...
Chapter 21: Let's Have Christmas! by mandancie
Author's Notes:
I am sorry for the wait. I wanted to get past Christmas so the story could move along. I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Harry walked down the stairs that led to the dungeons. He thought about everything that had happened in the last two days. Learning that he had a Godfather, he thought, was the best news ever. He thought about Ron’s parents. They were nice. He got three hugs from Mrs. Weasley. Harry thought that Mr. Weasley would be mean to him when he first met the man, but that didn’t happen. Mr. Weasley was fun when they were playing Quidditch at the Burrow; Mr. Weasley came out and scored a few goals before the game ended. 


Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.


The noise behind him brought Harry from his thoughts. 


Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.


Not again, Harry thought. His heart began to race. He would stay calm. Professor Snape said there was no one behind him when he thought he heard steps behind him the other day. 


Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick. 


Harry started to pick up the pace. The noise was getting louder.


TICK. TICK. TICK. TICK.


Harry got to the corner of the corridor that led to Professor Snape’s chambers. Harry just wanted to get to safety. If he could reach the door, he knew his safety would save him. 


But he didn’t make it to the turn. Something knocked the child over, causing a shriek to escape his mouth.


___000___000___000

Arthur and Molly didn’t step one foot into the house before their children bombarded them. All of them talking at once. 


“Calm down,” Arthur said. 


“Let us get inside,” Molly said, trying to push her way through her children. 


“Mum, where’s Harry?” Ron asked.


“Will you let me get out of my outer clothes first?” Molly chastised. “Let me take a breath.”


The Weasley children backed away from their parents and sat down around the undecorated tree that was still lying on the floor. They were supposed to decorate it last night but didn’t feel very festive to do it. 


Arthur took Molly’s cloak from her and put both of their outer robes in the side cupboard. 


“Now,” Molly started. “We talked with Professors Dumbledore and Snape.”


“Snape?” Ron yelled.


Molly continued ignoring her youngest son’s outburst. “They are aware of Harry’s home life. They confirmed that his relatives were not caring about Harry. They have since removed him from the household, and he is now with his Godfather.”


“Godfather,” Fred and George said together. “Who?”


“Professor Snape,” Bill said. “That’s what they found out at the Will reading.”


“What are you talking about?” Charlie asked.


“A month ago, I was charged with securing the wards on a sealed parchment scroll,” Bill began. “It turned out that Uncle Fabian and Gideon placed the runes on it along with Professor Dumbledore. It was the Will of James and Lily Potter.”


“I thought the Will was taken care of after they died,” Percy said. 


“There was a charm on it,” Bill continued. “Someone tried to get past the runes that our Uncles put on it, but they couldn’t. So, they put a charm over it to keep it hidden. I cracked it and was there when the Will was read, but Professors Dumbledore and Snape didn’t read it aloud.”


“So, young Harry is very well protected,” Molly concluded. “Have you lot eaten? I’m sure you’re hungry.” 


Molly walked into the kitchen and started getting things ready to cook. 


“Bill, Charlie,” Molly called from the kitchen. “Can you bring the decorations down? I want to start on the decorations.”


Everyone got up and went to different areas of the house while Bill and Charlie left to get the decorations. 


“But he’s with Professor Snape,” Ron argued, mumbling to himself. “He hates Harry.” 


___000___000___000

Severus thought about his conversation with Molly. A part of him thought that she would rant and rave about the fact that he was Harry’s Godfather. But no. She was supportive. It was a big reason he hadn’t publicly announced that he was the child’s Godfather. He was a Death Eater. Yes, he was a spy, but it didn’t change the fact that he did have the mark on his arm. 


“Severus,” Albus’ soothing tone broke into the Potions Master’s musings. “No one would ever judge you.”


Severus' brow furrowed at the statement; then, he realized that he was rubbing his left forearm. He balled his right hand into a fist to force himself from continuing.


“More people will support you,” Albus continued. “You have the Weasleys and Minerva. And don’t forget you’ll always have me, son.”


Severus never liked talking about his insecurities. It made him feel weak. He wasn’t weak. He needed to get himself under control. He closed his eyes and occluded. 


Albus watched as he saw his adopted son close himself off. He didn’t like that Severus felt he had to shut his emotions away. Things like this made Albus wish Tobias Snape was still alive. That cruel man put those untrue thoughts in his son’s head. Albus tried to convince Severus that it was okay to show emotions. That it would make him stronger. Maybe Harry can succeed where Albus couldn’t. Maybe being with Harry will let that wall his son stands behind crumble. 


“I need to speak with Poppy,” Severus said. “Harry needs a check-up.”


“Is everything alright with the child?” Albus asked. 


“There are some concerning factors I would like checked out,” Severus answered. 


Before Severus could continue, Poppy and Minerva walked into Albus’ chambers. Severus stood.


“Don’t leave,” Minerva said, sitting in the chair Severus just left. 


“Harry should be back from Hagrid’s soon,” Severus replied, walking towards the hearth. “Poppy, would you come down when you’re finished here?”


“We can meet in the Infirm—”


“I’d rather not,” Severus said, cutting Poppy off. He left through a rush of green flames. 


___000___000___000

Severus wasn’t in his chambers a minute before Tami popped into the room. 


“Master Sev’us,” Tami called out frantically. “Master Sev’us.”


“What is it?”


“Harry, sir, is running down here.”


Severus didn’t like the sound of that. The last time Harry came to him, the boy complained that someone was following him. Severus rushed out of his chambers in time to hear Harry’s yell.


Severus had his wand in his hand instantly as he rushed to where Harry was. When he reached the end of the corridor that turned headed toward the main stairs, he couldn’t believe what he was seeing. 


“What the bloody hell is going on?” Severus boomed. 


Harry was currently lying on his back with a behemoth of a dog on top of him. The child gripped the dog’s head, squirming from side to side, trying to dodge the boarhound’s tongue. 


“What is this dog doing here?” Severus said. “Fang, get off.”


The dog whined and sat where he stood, still pinning Harry under him. Harry was able to slide from under Fang and get off the floor. 


“Why is that dog here?” Severus asked again. 


“I don’t know,” Harry said, using his sleeve to wipe his face of dog drool. 


Severus popped Harry’s hand, conjured a warm damp flannel, and began wiping the child’s face. 


Harry tried to escape the offending cloth but couldn’t move much since Snape held his head. 


“Stop squirming,” Severus admonished lightly. “You like playing with that behemoth. You have to get cleaned up.”


“FANG! FANG!”


Hagrid’s booming voice could be heard bellowing down the corridor. 


“Over here, Hagrid,” Severus called out, shaking the flannel and banishing it. 


Hagrid walked down the long corridor and started fussing at Fang, “You mangy mutt, what are you doing in here?”


“That’s what I like to know,” Severus said, looking down at Harry.


“I didn’t bring him,” Harry said, raising his hands and backing away. His eyes were huge and round. “I promise.”


Severus didn’t say anything. 


Hagrid jumped in, saying, “That mangy mutt ran off after Harry and Arthur left the hut.” 


“Keep that dog outside,” Severus ordered. “Come, Harry,” holding his arm out so the boy could walk in front of him. 


Severus followed Harry toward his chambers. When they got inside, Severus walked over to his chair and sat down, not realizing that Harry was still standing by the door. 


Harry didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know that Fang followed him into the school. Now, he might not be able to see him anymore. Or maybe his safety would punish him. Professor Snape did look angry when he looked at the child. 


“Harry,” Severus started. “I want–”


“Professor, I promise,” Harry said, cutting Severus off. “I didn’t know Fang was behind me. Please don’t stop me from going back to Hagrid’s. Fang is my friend.”


“Mr. Potter,” Severus called out. “Calm yourself.”


Harry stopped talking. 


“Come here,” Severus said, holding out his hand. 


Harry walked over and stood in front of Severus. 


“Hagrid said that that dog followed you, and I believed you when you said you didn’t know.”


“You did?” Harry asked. 


“I want you to go get cleaned up,” Severus said instead of answering the child. “Madam Pomfrey will be down in a while to give you a check-up.”


“We’re not going to the Infirmary?” Harry asked. 


“I don’t want to subject you to what happened earlier today.”


Harry shrugged Severus’ reply, turned, and headed down the small hallway towards the bathroom.


___000___000___000

Severus stood in his private laboratory. Several cauldrons were in use. Poppy left an hour ago. Severus didn’t like the findings from the scans she performed, but they were essential. He learned the first time Harry was checked, she had Harry’s drinks laced with Nutrition Potion. After discussing Harry’s results, the decision was made that Harry should have a more potent dose of Nutrition Potion and a Stomach Soother. She also wanted to add an Appetite Booster so that Harry could eat a little more.  


The door opened and closed, bringing Severus out of his thoughts. 


“What do you want, old man?” Severus asked without his usual bite in his tone. 


“I have not come here to bother you,” Albus said, walking next to Severus. “I wanted to ensure that you and Harry are at the Great Hall for supper. Tonight we share different Christmas traditions with the children that are staying. I want Harry to experience that.”


“I’ll send him to the Great Hall,” Severus replied, putting some asphodel into a granite mortar so that he could pulverize his ingredients. 


“The invitation was not just for Harry,” Albus said. “I want you there as well.”


“Albus, I’m not–”


“It was not a request,” Albus cut Severus off. “I want Harry to experience this with you.”


Before Severus could refute it, Albus turned and left the room. A small voice could be heard from the doorway a few moments later. 


“Professor Snape.” 


“Come in, Harry. Take a seat,” Severus offered, pointing to the stool next to his working table.


Harry walked over to the table and looked over into the different cauldrons to see what was in them. 


“Are these for me?” Harry asked softly.


“They are,” Severus answered. “Poppy has informed me that you were already receiving Nutrient Potion in your pumpkin juice.”


“Yes, sir.”


“Well, for the other two potions, you have a choice as to how you take them. Either I have your phials by your plate when you come to the Great Hall, or you can stop by my office before each meal and pick them up.”


Harry didn’t like that he had to take so many potions, and the idea of coming down to see his Godfather three times a day was wicked. But after the last two times he came to his safety’s chambers, he felt like someone was following him. He didn’t want to take another chance.


“I’ll take them when I’m in the Great Hall,” Harry sighed. “Will they be nasty?” His pumpkin juice didn’t taste any different since he started the Nutrient Potion. But he didn’t know about the other ones. Harry remembered when he was sick, Aunt Petunia would give him something to take. It tasted awful. And he couldn’t even get any water to wash the taste away. 


“The Nutrient Potion, though a stronger dose, will not affect the taste of the pumpkin juice,” Severus explained. “The Appetite Stimulant I can make in your favorite flavor, easier to go down. The Stomach Soother will have a mint flavor. To help settle your stomach.”


“Wicked,” Harry said, smiling. “Can you do strawberry?”


“Yes.”


Harry beamed from the stool. “Thank you, Professor Snape.” After another beat of silence, Harry spoke again, “Professor Dumbledore said there was something special happening in the Great Hall at supper. Are we going?”


“Yes, we are,” Severus answered, trying to keep the sneer out of his tone. Leave it to Albus to make sure Harry knew about it so there would be no question about them showing up.


___000___000___000

Harry walked into the Great Hall to see that the four House tables were gone, and there was one massive round table in the middle of the Hall. The House trees that lined the front of the Hall have since multiplied. It looked like the table was encased in the middle of a Christmas tree forest. Each tree was decorated with all the House colors. There weren’t any trees that were dedicated to just one House.


Harry couldn’t keep the smile off of his face as he admired each tree. 


“They are beautiful, aren’t they, Harry?”


Harry turned and faced the soft voice of the Headmaster who was talking to him. 


Still smiling, Harry said, “They are. Why only one table, Professor?”


“There aren’t many students staying for Christmas, so there was no need for such large tables,” Albus answered. 


Everyone started to file inside the Hall. 


“Why don’t you take your seat,” Albus said. 


When everyone was sitting down, Harry saw that Professor Dumbledore was right. There weren’t many of the children that stayed. Harry was the only first-year that stayed. There were two from Hufflepuff and four from Ravenclaw, all of them siblings.  


Harry didn’t talk much; he just sat and listened to everyone else. He wasn’t used to this. It was one thing while school was in session. He sat with Ron and Neville and sometimes Hermione. But this was different. It was more like a family. He started to feel like he wasn’t supposed to be at the table. He started twisting his nervous fingers in his robes and chewing on his bottom lip. He didn’t want to cause attention to himself. 


+0+0+0

The last thing Severus wanted to do was eat in the Great Hall. He loved his peace. He enjoyed eating with his godson. And that Old Coot was determined to keep him from his peace and quiet. He sent Harry up to the Great Hall before him. He would take it if he could gain even a minute more of peace. 


Knowing if he didn’t show his face soon, one of those old geezers would come, and frog march him, which was the last thing he wanted to deal with. When he stepped into the Great Hall, he saw that everyone was just getting settled, but a small child caught his eye. 


+0+0+0

A chair scraped across the floor. Harry was afraid to see who it was. He hoped it wasn’t Uncle Vernon going to hit him for sitting at the table. The child started to curl into himself. But when a hand came into his line of sight, he saw it wasn’t Uncle Vernon. Harry took a deep breath and tried to gather enough courage and look to see who was next to him. When he saw it was his safety sitting there, he wanted to jump into his arms, but he stayed seated. 


Severus didn’t want to create a scene with Harry, but he wanted to get to Harry before he had another panic attack. When he got to the child’s side, he noticed that Albus and Minerva were the only ones paying attention to Harry. They had the presence of mind not to make a big deal about it. But he mentally prepared himself for them coming to his chambers after Harry went to bed. 


When Severus freed Harry’s fingers from the confines of his robes, the Potion Master couldn’t help the warm feeling in his soul from the beaming look Harry was giving him. Once freed, Severus patted the child’s hands and straightened his chair. He decided just to sit next to Potter. Not because of how the child made him feel. No. Just to keep an eye on him. That was it. To make sure he received his potions and make sure there were no side effects.


___000___000___000

Since his safety was sitting next to him, Harry’s rapid heartbeat seemed to slow down. Harry knew that if anyone or anything tried to hurt him, his safety would chase them away. 


When the food arrived, Severus pulled the two phials from inside his coat and handed them to Harry. He saw that Harry was just holding on to the small glass containers instead of taking them. Severus glanced around the table to see if they were being noticed. When he saw that everyone was concentrating on his or her own food and conversations, he discreetly coaxed Harry into drinking them.  


Quiet conversations were happening around the table. Severus noticed Harry taking occasional glances at him while he ate. Though Harry’s plate wasn’t as full as he would have liked, Severus was happy to see that the child had more on his plate than that morning. Severus was worried about how the rest of the meal would go, remembering how Harry acted when he brought the child home from being at the Weasleys, but the rest of the meal went without incident.


Minerva tapped her spoon on her goblet to get everyone’s attention. 


Harry watched as three Professors stood up with their wands pointed toward the ceiling. Harry and the renaming students watched as Professors Sinistra, Vector, and Flitwick changed the look of the ceiling.


Flitwick made the ceiling disappear. The snow was falling. It appeared to float down to the table, but there was no cold air. The floating candles were moved to give a clear view of the sky. 


Aurora Sinistra, the Astronomy professor, waved her wand, making it appear that the stars were closer. She manipulated each star constellation to look like they were moving as if they told a story.


Harry smiled as he recognized a few of the constellations. They were a few that he didn’t have a problem finding during his Astronomy class. He recognized the Capricorn and Pegasus. Orion was easier to spot. The three stars that represented Orion’s belt were the first thing Harry could locate in his first Astronomy class. Harry loved to stargaze. It was one of the few things that brought the child peace while he was living with his relatives. It would be a calm, clear night on those occasions when he was locked out of the house. He would lie on the grass and look up at the stars. He would wish he could fly away and live amongst the stars. Harry couldn’t keep the smile off his face. He was brought back to the present by hearing Professor McGonagall tap on her goblet with her knife.       


“Everyone,” Albus said. “I want to wish each of you a very happy Christmas. I know you, children, would like to have time to open your presents, so your breakfast will be brought to your Common Rooms.”


Harry looked up at the ceiling and saw that it was normal. Well, normal for Hogwarts.


Cheers rang out in the Hall. Harry still smiled as he watched the other students cheer at the Headmaster’s announcement. Harry wasn’t worried about gifts. He’d never got them before, and he wasn’t expecting them now. But he was very grateful for one thing. He was going to be with his safety. His Godfather.


“Well, have a wonderful night,” the Headmaster said. “And don’t stay up too long tonight.”


There was a chorus of “We won’t” echoed throughout the Hall. 


___000___000___000

Severus and Harry walked back toward the dungeon. They were silent most of the way, but Severus wanted to inquire how the child felt after having the Appetite Stimulant and the higher dose of the Nutrient Potion.


“How are you feeling, Potter?” Severus asked as they turned the last corner, heading toward the entryway of his chambers. 


Harry looked up at Severus and smiled. “I’m fine. My stomach doesn’t hurt.”


Severus hummed his reply, nodding his head. 


“Professor.”


“Yes, Harry,” Severus replied as he opened the portrait.


“Are you about to do anything?”


“I am going to sit and read,” Severus answered. “You are welcome to join me if you like.”


Harry smiled, nodded, and then ran back to his room down the small hallway. 


Severus shook his head at the child’s antics as he walked over to his chair and sat down. The book he was reading while having a nightcap or tea sat on the small table next to him. But he couldn’t bring himself to start. He was thinking about how Harry looked when Albus talked about the presents they were getting. His anger with Petunia just continued to grow for how she and that monster she called a husband deprived Harry of a proper childhood.


Severus never had a big deal made for the holidays, but his mother did try. There were small gifts, but they meant the world to him. He understood they were impoverished. And while his mother was alive, he never once felt that he was unloved. 


Things changed for him after his mother died. The whole world seemed to be against him after she died. He had his best friend, Lily, by his side. But it was awful during the nights he was alone with his dad. 


Before Severus’ thoughts could take a dark turn, a small voice broke through his musings. 


“Professor Snape.”


Severus looked up and saw Harry standing at the end of the hallway, in his night clothes, holding his photo album. 


“Yes, Harry,” Severus said. He saw the child sucking in his bottom lip and just decided to call him over. “Come here, Harry.”


Harry walked over to Severus and stood in front of him. Taking a deep breath, Harry asked his question. 


“Professor, when Hagrid gave him this,” holding out the album, “he told me that you knew my mum.”


“Yes, I knew her,” Severus confirmed. 


“Uh,” Harry said in a small voice. “Can you tell me something about her? I never knew anything about them, and after looking over the pictures I always wanted to know what they were like, and–”


“Harry,” Severus called out over Harry’s talking. “Firstly, breathe.” Severus waited for a beat before continuing. “Now, I will tell you some things about your mother.”


Without giving it a second thought, Severus softly gripped the child under his arms and lifted him onto his lap. Harry curled onto Severus’ lap, with his head on his Professor’s shoulder. 


Severus opened the album to the first picture and saw that it was the one taken at the end of their fifth year. Looking at the picture, he could remember that day as if it were yesterday.


“Your mother was very bright,” Severus started. “She was kind but fierce. You never wanted to be at the fighting end of her wand. And she was fair.” Severus looked down at the child in his arms. “You have her eyes and her button nose, you know.”


Tears blurred Harry’s vision hearing that. He had something from his mother. When his aunt and uncle did talk about his parents, he was always told that he was the spitting image of his no-good father. Whenever he had the chance, he would stare at himself in the mirror, trying to picture his dad. But learning that he had features like his mum was the second-best gift he could have received. 


Severus told story after story. He continued until he felt Harry’s breathing even out. In between telling Harry a story, Severus conjured a warm flannel, took off the child’s glasses, and wiped the tear tracks from his cheeks. He then accio’ed a blanket and covered Harry, preventing the child from getting a chill.  


Severus was still holding Harry when the flames in the fireplace turned green, and Albus and Minerva stepped out. Severus knew they would make a trip to his chambers from how they looked at them during supper. 


“Things look tranquil,” Albus said as he walked over to the sofa and sat down. “Telling Harry Christmas stories.”


“If you must know,” Severus said. “Harry wanted to know a little bit about his mother. Those wretched people never said anything to Harry about her.”


“They have been dealt with,” Albus confirmed. The last thing Albus wanted was for Severus to pay the Dursleys a visit. 


“I must say,” Minerva stated, walking around the room, admiring the different ornaments. “You’ve decorated this place very well. I didn’t think you had it in you. So festive.”


Severus snarled at the Transfiguration Professor. “Look, you old cat–”


“Ah-ah,” Minerva softly admonished as she sat down next to Albus. “Temper temper. And you mustn’t wake young Harry.”


Severus wondered if he would be justified in obliviating those two old geezers just for being annoying. 


“Severus,” Albus said. “As happy as I am that you’ve joined the rest of the world in decorating for the holidays, there is a more pertinent reason for our being down here.”


“What happened during supper?” Severus asked knowingly. 


“Exactly,” Albus confirmed. “What we witnessed was very disturbing.”


“You didn’t seem that surprised by young Harry’s actions,” Minerva stated.


Severus looked down at the sleeping child in his arms. “Well, it is not the first time.”


There was a beat of silence before Minerva asked, “Can you tell us what happened? We need to know.”


“I agree,” Severus replied. “When he spent the day with the Weasleys, I was called because Harry had a panic attack. I haven’t gotten the chance to talk with the child about what could’ve caused it. But I’m figuring it has something to do with the manner in which we had supper as to be a possible trigger.”


Both Minerva and Albus looked forlorn. The poor child had been through so much. 


“The potions you gave him,” Albus inquired. “What are they for?”


“I’m sure you’ve noticed how much Potter eats,” Severus said, “or rather doesn’t eat.” 


“It’s not that much,” Minerva agreed. 


“No, it’s not,” Severus agreed. “He’s not getting nearly enough nutrients. Something else to chalk up to his relatives.” He rubbed his hand up and down Harry’s back as he tightened his hold around the child’s waist. “At the beginning of the year, Poppy put him on a Nutrient potion, putting it in his pumpkin juice. But he needs a more potent dosage. We’ve also discussed the amount of food, so he’s on an appetite stimulant and a stomach soother.”


After another moment of quiet between the adults, Albus finally said, “Well, we will leave you, Severus.” Albus stood and extended his hand to Minerva. 


They both walked over to Severus. Minerva put her hand on Severus’ shoulder. “I know we tease you about your relationship with Harry, but I’m so proud of you. You could have easily completely ignored the child.”


“Yeah,” Severus replied, looking down at the child. “I don’t think the boy would have let me if I tried.”


A huff of laughter escaped Minerva's lips as she patted Severus’ shoulder. “Good night, Severus. We’ll see you first thing in the morning.”  


Severus’ brows creased as he looked up at the Deputy Headmistress. 


“Excuse me?”


“You didn’t think we would miss Harry opening gifts on his first Christmas, did you?”


Minerva’s laugh could be heard as she stepped through the green flames.


“Meddling cat,” Severus grumbled. “Can’t you give me a moment's peace?”


“Now, now, Severus,” Albus soothed, smiling. “You know I have not missed a single Christmas with you. And I don’t plan to any time soon. Having Harry here is just a plus.”


Albus put his hand on Severus’ shoulder, leaned down, and kissed the crown of Severus’ head. 


“Don’t stay up too late,” Albus said as he walked towards the fireplace. “You know Santa has to bring your presents as well.”


“Get out of here, old man,” Severus said, nowhere near his usual growl. It still amazed him that someone cared about him.


After Albus left through the green flames, Severus looked down at the sleeping child in his arms. Never. Not in a million years would he believe he would be sitting by the fireside, cradling Potter’s son. But here he was. This child was not like anyone he’d ever come in contact with. With everything Harry had been through, he still could love. 


Severus wished he could be so pure. He was a bitter man. It was not a secret. It was terrible when he lost his mum; it was horrific when he lost his best friend. He’d never admit this to anyone, not even the old coot, but Albus coming into his life and adopting him was the best thing that ever happened to him.


Severus carried his precious cargo to the child’s room. Harry’s room was a typical boy’s room. There were discarded clothes on the floor. It led him to believe that in Harry’s rush to come back into the living room, he threw his clothes on the floor instead of folding them.


Waving his hand over Harry’s bed, the duvet turned down so he could lay the child down. After covering Harry and tucking the duvet against him, so he wouldn’t get a chill, he brushed his fingers softly through Harry’s hair. He went around the room, picking up the discarded clothing and putting the child’s shoes against the door.


“Good night, Harry,” Severus said softly as he closed the door, leaving a small crack just in case. 


Severus walked into his bedroom and went to his dresser. In the back, behind a few bottles, was a small cauldron stuffie with a stirrer hanging out. Severus couldn’t help but reminisce on how he came about receiving this small gift.


During his second year, Severus stayed in the Great Hall after Christmas Eve supper. He liked looking at the decorations. And the constellation story the professor told was still on the ceiling. Plus, he wasn’t in a hurry to get back to Slytherin’s Common room. 


“Beautiful, isn’t it?” A soft voice asked, bringing Severus from his thoughts. 


Severus turned and saw the Headmaster walking towards him. 


“Sorry, Headmaster,” Severus said quickly as he stood to face the man. 


“No apologies required,” Albus soothed, holding his hands up. “I, too, like to admire the decorations and scenery in here. But I must inquire; why are you here? Shouldn’t you be in your common room?”


Severus sighed as he lowered his head. “Yes, sir.”


Albus saw the child’s shoulders drop. He didn’t know why the child seemed so nervous about returning to his Common room. He didn’t want to force the child. Albus refused to make the mistake he saw happen when Tom was a student here.


“How would you like some hot chocolate?” Albus asked. “I find that hot chocolate is the best for ending the day before Christmas.” Albus held out his hand for Severus to follow. 


The child shrugged his shoulders and followed the Headmaster. When he sat down on one of the plush purple chairs, the Headmaster waved his hand, and two of the biggest mugs of hot chocolate appeared on his desk. 


The mug was filled with not only hot chocolate, but it had a massive mound of mini marshmallows as well as sprinkles and chocolate syrup. 


Severus couldn’t believe what he was seeing. He’d had hot chocolate before. He and Lily would have a cup when they hid in one empty classroom to study. It was safer there than in the library.


“Sir.” Severus couldn’t keep the astonishment from his tone. “What am I supposed to do with that?” His eyes never left the mug.


“Why drink it, of course,” Albus said with a twinkle in his eyes. “Having hot chocolate any other way than this is criminal.”


“But it’s so much,” Severus argued. 


Albus laughed loudly. “Drink as much as you can. I assure you, you will enjoy it.”


Severus took a sip and had to agree it was delicious. He’d have to let Lily try it when she returned to school. 


There was a comfortable silence between man and child before Albus asked, “Are you expecting many gifts tomorrow?”


“No, sir,” Severus answered. He was used to not getting presents. His mother tried every year. He didn’t blame her. It was his father that made it difficult. Kind of hard to buy gifts if his father steals the money to go out gambling. 


Albus didn’t comment on that. He didn’t like the nonchalant way Severus answered. No child should not have at least one present for Christmas. After they finished their drinks, Albus escorted Severus on his way back to the Slytherin Common room. “Get some sleep, young Severus. Things will look brighter tomorrow.” Albus watched as Severus climbed into the entrance. 


Severus remembered waking up the next day and seeing the stuffed cauldron on his nightstand with a note attached. Severus unfolded the note he still kept, rereading it. 


“No child should not have a present on Christmas. Something small, but I hope you like it. A”


“Meddling old coot,” Severus mumbled as he went into his en suite to get ready for bed.


___000___000___000

Harry woke up and snuggled into a small ball, soaking up the warmth and softness of his bed. This was the first Christmas he didn’t have to wake up to someone banging on his cupboard door, making him start breakfast. 


He lay in bed for a while, pondering what he could do for his Professor. When they went out on the first day of break, Harry didn’t get a chance to get Professor Snape anything. A thought popped into Harry’s head. He knew what he was going to do. Quickly, he got up, and after rushing to the bathroom, he went to the small kitchen. 


“Tami,” Harry whispered. He didn’t want to wake Professor Snape. 


A small pop revealed the tiny elf standing next to him. 


“Master Harry,” Tami greeted with a smile. 


Wrapping his fingers in his pajama top,, “Can you help me? I want to make breakfast for Professor Snape.”


“I make it,” Tami insisted.


“I know,” Harry agreed. He learned earlier in the school year that the house elves made the meals and did the laundry. “But I never got to get my safety a present.”


Tami pulled her ears nervously but reluctantly agreed. She snapped her fingers. Everything Harry needed for a full English breakfast appeared on the counter. 


Harry smiled and got started. 


+0+0+0

Severus loved Christmas, not that he would tell anyone, especially Albus. It was the one day he didn’t have to worry about getting up early. He permitted himself to sleep in. He would need the extra rest because he knew soon two old geezers would descend to his sanctuary.


Severus turned to his side when he smelled it. It was impossible. Couldn’t they give him until after he at least had his coffee? Severus groused as he got up and put on his robe.


When he opened his bedroom door, the aroma of sausage, eggs, and beans filled his chambers. He had a scathing remark on the tip of his tongue but swallowed it when he saw what was happening in his kitchen. 


With Tami’s help, Harry made what appeared as an English breakfast.


“May I ask what’s going on in here?” Severus asked, leaning on the doorframe.


Harry turned around in surprise but grinned when he saw his safety. “Happy Christmas, Professor.”


“Same to you, Harry,” Severus replied, walking into the kitchen. “You made all this?”


“Yeah,” Harry beamed. “I didn’t have anything to give you, so I thought I’d make breakfast.”


“Totally unnecessary,” Severus said, rubbing the top of Harry’s head, “but thank you. Why don’t we let Tami finish, and we go and get dressed for the day?”


Tami replied before Harry could object, “Yes, sir, Master Sev’us. I finish your good work, Master Harry.”


Severus wrapped his arm around Harry’s shoulders, and the two walked out of the small kitchen.


“But this was my present to you,” Harry argued softly. “I didn’t get–”


Severus knelt in front of Harry, stopping him from continuing. “I appreciate your gift. It was very thoughtful. Though I don’t like the idea of you cooking, I am touched that you went through all this for me. And I thank you.” Severus brought the small child into a hug. When he let him go, he stood back up. 


“Now, go get ready,” Severus sat, patting his bottom. “I’m sure the Headmaster and your Head of House will be coming down here soon.”


“They’re coming here?” Harry asked, surprised, walking down the small hallway.


“Yes, unfortunately,” Severus sighed. “They tend to believe that I want to be bothered by their incessant meddling.”


While Harry was getting ready in his room, Severus waved his hand, causing the deceptively bare corner, behind his chair, of the room to show its true appearance. Severus knew he would never hear the end of it when those two old geezers showed up and saw the decorated tree and the few presents under it. 


Severus walked closer to the tree, inspecting the decorations. It wasn’t as grand as the trees in the Great Hall, but it was festive. He’d done it while Harry was asleep after they went to Diagon Alley. He didn’t want to admit he was actually nervous to see Harry’s reaction to the tree. Severus didn’t feel this unsettling when he got his Potions Mastery. Why does impressing an eleven-year-old mean so much to him?


Tami finished the rest of breakfast in record time. Severus walked over to see everything that Harry had prepared. It was a full English breakfast: sausage, beans, grilled mushrooms and tomatoes, eggs, baked potato squares, and toast.


“Oh, wow!”


Harry’s exclamation grabbed Severus’ attention. When he turned around, he saw Harry slowly walking towards the tree. Severus followed slower, wanting to take in Harry’s reaction.


Harry walked over to the tree. There were clear baubles that looked like smoke, but when he got closer, it revealed the true gift inside. Each bauble had a different scene in them. 


One was of Harry catching the snitch during the Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff game. Another was of Harry and Fang roughhousing around in the snow. Others showed Harry having fun with Ron and the other dormmates.


Each one made Harry smile. 


Harry reached out to touch one of the baubles when his foot hit something making a crinkling sound. Looking down, Harry saw wrapped packages. The child’s brow furrowed as he got down on his knees to inspect the packages further. Slowly reaching for one of the packages, Harry read the small tag taped on it. 


To Harry; From Professor Snape. 


Harry had a gift. He actually had a gift. Harry quickly put the package back where he saw it. He didn’t want to get in trouble. What if it wasn’t for him? What if it was a trick? It couldn’t truly be for him. He was a Freak. He didn’t get gifts. 


Severus walked out of the small kitchen area when he heard Harry walk out of his room. He watched as Harry walked over to admire the decorations on the tree. When he saw his attention turn toward the gifts, he was about to give Harry permission to go ahead and open them when he saw the panicked look come over the child. He rushed to the child’s side. 


“Harry. Harry,” Severus called out. “Look at me,” kneeling beside the boy.


Harry started mumbling his apologies for bothering the gifts.


“Harry, Harry, they’re yours,” Severus confirmed. “There is no reason to apologize.”


“But I’m a freak,” Harry cried. “I don’t get gifts.”


Severus stood up, walked over to his chair, and brought the child with him. He stood Harry in front of him.


Harry was wrapping his fingers around his shirttail and biting his bottom lip. 


“Where are you, Harry?” Severus asked, freeing the child’s bottom lip.


“Hogwarts,” Harry answered.


“That’s right,” Severus nodded, freeing Harry’s cloth-confided fingers. “And who am I?”


“Professor Snape,” Harry answered.


“That’s right,” Severus replied. “I am not your idiotic relatives who felt the need to abuse you. Now, what have I said about my godson?”


Harry’s bottom lip, once again, sucked in between his teeth. And, once again, Severus freed it, asking the question again.


“Your godson is not a freak,” Harry whispered. 


“That’s right,” Severus agreed. “You are not a freak. And I will keep telling you that until you believe it. Now, there are presents under that tree.”


“Yes, sir.”


“Don’t you think they need to be opened?” Severus asked.


“Are they really for me?” Harry asked. This time there was a small bit of hopefulness in his tone.


“They are really for you,” Severus confirmed, nodding his head.


Harry collapsed against Severus, wrapping his arms around the Potion Master’s neck. Severus returned the hug. 


“Well, isn’t this a beautiful sight to see this Christmas morning?” Albus said.


Severus and Harry turned to see Albus and Minerva standing at the door. Severus had a snarl on his face at the intruders while Harry was grinning. 


“Good morning, Professor Dumbledore and Professor McGonagall,” Harry said. “Happy Christmas.”


“And a Happy Christmas to you as well, dear Harry,” Albus said. “And how are you doing this fine morning?”


“I got presents,” Harry said excitedly. “I got presents.”


“Very good, Harry,” Albus said. “I see you have breakfast ready.”


“Yeah, I made it for Professor Snape,” Harry said proudly. His chest puffed out with pride. 


A wary look was exchanged between the adults as Harry and Severus walked toward the table. 


“Have you eaten, Professor?” Harry asked.


“No,” Minerva answered. “Not yet.”


“I made enough,” Harry said. “You want some too?”


“Thank you, Harry dear,” Minerva cooed. 


They sat down at the table. Two phials appeared in front of Harry’s plate. They ate in comfortable silence. Once the meal was finished, they converged to the sitting room. Harry hovered by the presents, still a little wary of them. 


“You can open your presents, Harry,” Severus said.


Harry got on his knees on the floor and reached for one of the boxes. It was wrapped in white paper with Quidditch balls flying around. Harry remembered seeing his cousin, Dudley, rip through the wrapping, having strips of paper all over that Harry would have to clean up afterward. He didn’t want to do that. Harry didn’t want to make a huge mess. He carefully unwrapped his present—safety gear for Quidditch.


“If I have to suffer watching you almost break your neck every time you play, you might as well be protected,” Severus complained.


Harry had a huge grin as he cradled his gift in his arms. “Thank you, Professor.”


Harry also received a Quill starter kit, owl treats for Hedwig, a book on Defensive spells, and Exploding Snaps game set. 


“Thank you, Professor,” Harry said.


“I have something for you, Harry,” Minerva said. 


“Really?”


“Yes,” Minerva replied, waving her wand out in front of her. A long package appeared before her. And she floated it towards Harry.


Severus knew from the shape of the package he wasn’t going to like what was inside. When Harry opened the package, another snarl appeared on Severus’ face. 


“Oh, wow!” Harry exclaimed. “It’s the new Nimbus 2000.” Harry jumped around the room. This was the newest broom on the market.


“Have you lost your mind, you old cat?” Severus snarled. “The boy is already reckless with the school broom. Why would you give the child one of the fastest brooms on the market?”


“It will be fine, Severus,” Albus soothed.


“Fine?” Severus retorted.


“Do you not want me to have it, Professor?” Harry asked, his face dropping. “I won’t take it if you don’t want me to.”


Severus rubbed his hands over his face. He couldn’t believe what was happening right now. Why would Minerva want to risk the safety of her Gryffindor just to possibly win the Quidditch cup?


With a deep sigh, Severus replied, “It is okay, Harry.”


A smile broke across Harry’s face. 


“At least I know your safety gear will be put to good use,” Severus said.


“Can I try it out?” Harry asked. His excitement returned to full steam. 


“Yes,” Severus said. “Go get your winter robe, hat, and gloves.”


Harry rushed out of the room towards his room.


“You have seen the child open his gifts,” Severus groused. “Are we done now? I would like some peace.”


“Yes, Severus,” Albus said, smiling. “We’ll leave you and Harry to enjoy the rest of your day. Come, Minerva.”


Harry returned with his things just as Albus and Minerva stood up.


“Have fun with your new broom, Harry,” Albus said. 


“Thank you, Professor Dumbledore,” Harry replied as he put on his winter clothes. 


Albus and Minerva walked out of their chambers.


“You’re coming too?” Harry asked.


“Of course,” Severus said. “Finish getting ready.”


___000___000___000

Harry loved his new broom. It was faster than the school broom. He had better control. It didn’t take much effort to make turns or stop. He made figure 8s, loop-to-loop, vertical climbs, and weaving in and around the stands.


Severus watched as his godson flew recklessly around the Quidditch pitch. Thanks to Minerva, Severus knew his hair would be completely white by the end of the school year.


“Come down, Harry,” Severus called out.


Harry completed a figure 8 before flying toward his Godfather. 


“Did you see me?” Harry asked when he landed.


“I saw your recklessness,” Severus said. 


“It was so much fun,” Harry beamed. Severus’ statement didn't deter his good mood.


The two of them walked back towards the castle. When they passed Hagrid’s hut, Harry asked, “Can we go visit Hagrid? I want to check on Fang.”


“I don’t see why not,” Severus answered as they changed course. 


Hagrid walked out of his hut as Severus and Harry got closer. 


“Hey, Hagrid,” Harry called out. 


“Heya, Harry, Professor Snape,” Hagrid said. “Happy Christmas to you.”


Fang ran out of the hut, coming towards Harry. 


“Hey, Fang,” Harry said excitedly, wrapping his arms around Fang’s neck just as the dog got close to him. 


Severus picked up Harry’s discarded broom. 


Harry roughhoused with Fang for a bit before Severus called an end to it. They said their goodbyes before heading back toward the castle. 


“Can I go visit Hedwig?” Harry asked when they were in the castle.


“Yes,” Severus said, helping Harry remove his winter clothes. “Be back in time for dinner.”


“Thanks,” Harry said as he turned to head for the stairs. 


Severus was heading toward his chambers when he felt a small body collide with him. Small hands gripped his stomach while he felt a pointy forehead in his back. Severus moved his hand behind him, rubbing Harry’s back. 


“Harry?”


“Thank you,” Harry said, his voice muffled by Severus’ robe.


Severus didn’t respond; he just rubbed the child’s back. 


“Go be with your owl,” Severus said. “Then come back for supper.”


Harry gave another tight squeeze before letting go and running up the stairs. 


Harry was on the third floor when he ran into Professor Quirrell. 


“Ah, Mr. P-potter,” Quirrell said. “How is your Christmas g-going?”


“Hi, Professor,” Harry said. “It’s okay.”


Harry had been wary of the Professor since his scar hurt when he bumped into Quirrell. He didn’t like to be alone with him. 


“Well, if you’ll excuse me, Professor,” Harry said, side-stepping around Quirrell. “I’ll be going now.”


“What’s the rush?” Quirrell asked. 


There was a growl that echoed throughout the corridor. Quirrell and Harry looked down at the end of the corridor to see a large dog. Harry took off running in the opposite direction.


Harry loved playing with Fang, but he wasn’t ignorant of the dangers of unknown dogs. Harry knew that Fang was friendly, but this dog didn’t look friendly. It looked mean. 


The dog was mangy-looking, and patches of fur were missing. Its teeth were a dull yellow, and lines of slobbery drool pooled from his mouth. The dog started barking and running after the man and child in the hallway. 


Harry saw a room with the door partly open. He ran inside and shut the door, hoping the dog wouldn't find him. He kept his ear to the door, ensuring the dog didn’t follow him. He could hear the clicking sound of the dog’s paws on the floor outside the door.


Harry wanted his safety. 


TBC 

To be continued...
Chapter 22: One Step Forward by mandancie

“Ah, Sirius,” Albus announced as he entered the Infirmary. “You are looking so much better.”


Sirius didn’t respond. He was sitting up on the cot. A tray filled with food sat unattended on the side table beside him.


“Are you not hungry?” Albus asked when he got to Sirius’ bedside. “I think you would be happy that you didn’t have to spend another Christmas in Azkaban.”


“How can I be happy when my godson is with that Death Eater?” Sirius growled. 


Albus didn’t reply to that. He waved his hand, and a chair materialized next to him. 


“Minerva told me what you said after I left the other day,” Albus said quietly. “I would’ve thought your views would have changed since then.”


“Snivellous should not have my godson,” Sirius raged. His arms were folded across his chest. 


Albus shook his head. “Have you not learned anything?”


Sirius looked at the Headmaster.


“Learned what?” Sirius groused. “He has my godson!” Sirius screamed.


“And the way you’re acting,” Albus replied, “he will continue to have him. And until you are ready to listen to what Minerva and I are trying to tell you-” Albus, let the statement stop there.


“What?” Sirius snapped. “That Snivellous is a good man. That he’s changed. That he’s what–I don’t know–something special.”


“This is not about Severus,” Albus said. “It’s not about you.”


“Yes, it is,” Sirius raged back. “That Death Eater should have been in Azkaban. Not me.”


Albus sat back and looked at the man he had just removed from Azkaban. Could it be possible that the level of hatred between Severus and him was that great? 


“I knew you and Severus didn’t get along,” Albus sighed. “After everything that’s happened, you still hate Severus that much? In the beginning, I surmised your animosity was as teens being teens. I’ve seen pranks go from both sides. I didn’t feel I should step in until that one prank almost became deadly.”


Sirius’ anger dissipated as he listened to the Headmaster. 


“Your last prank,” Albus continued, “could’ve caused the death of students that night. And I did lose the faith of one that night. Do you remember?”


Sirius hung his head. He didn’t answer. James and Remus refused to speak to Sirius after that night. It was just a prank. No one was supposed to be seriously hurt. It was just to scare Snivellous. 


“What?” Albus cupped his hand by his ear. “Nothing to say now. Your prank, that’s what you told me it was unless your hatred wanted something more–”


“It was a prank,” Sirius interrupted. “I didn’t know–”


“If it succeeded,” Albus continued, “would have meant the death of both Severus and Remus. If Severus had been killed, Remus would’ve been put to death. I would’ve been arrested, having a known werewolf within the school. Werewolves weren’t allowed in schools: magical or muggle.” 


Albus saw Sirius’ color drain from his cheeks. 


“What? You didn’t know that?” 


Sirius mutely shook his head. 


“And what about you?” Albus continued. “Would you sit back and laugh while all this was going down? I know you would have been the only one because James went after Severus to stop it. James could’ve been hurt as well.”


“Remus wouldn’t have attacked James,” Sirius said with certainty. 


Albus raised his eyebrow at that information. “Really. Interesting. What would make James being with a werewolf safer than just Severus alone?” Albus didn’t wait for Sirius’ answer. “Be that as it may, you would have been laughing alone. Thankfully, Severus wasn’t attacked. But there were damages that happened that night. In order to keep the attack quiet, I made Severus promise not to let loose his knowledge of Remus’ ailment.”  


Sirius had to admit he was surprised when there weren’t articles in the Daily Prophet about werewolf sightings. It was the catalyst of James’ and Remus’ silent treatment. He never realized that Snevillous was sworn to secrecy.  


“Now, you stated that Severus should’ve been the one in Azkaban,” Albus said. “Forget that it was Severus’ knowledge that we learned James and Lily were targeted in the first place. That he shouldn’t have your godson.”


“Exactly,” Sirius answered. “He shouldn’t have my godson. I’m Harry’s godfather.”


“Hmm,” Albus sighed. “This is the first time you said Harry’s name.”


“What?”


“This entire time, you’ve been talking about Severus, but not once have you mentioned Harry by name. Makes you wonder.”


Albus stood up and vanished the chair.


“Wonder what?” Sirius asked.


“Where your priorities are,” Albus answered. “You’re worried about the wrong things. And it is costing you a lot because of it.”


Albus turned away towards the door. “Oh, one more thing,” Albus said, walking back to Sirius’ side. “This will be the last time I hear the word Snivellous in this school. You are an adult. Act like one.” Without another word, Albus walked out of the Infirmary.


___000___000___000

Filius Flickwick was coming out of his chambers when he saw Severus headed towards him. 


“Ah, Severus, Happy Christmas,” Filius called out. 


“Same to you,” Severus said. “Do you have a moment?”


“Of course,” the Charms Professor said. He went back towards his office. “What can I do for you?”


“That old cat saw fit to gift Potter the latest broom on the market,” Severus snarled.


Filius laughed out loud. He, as well as most of the Professors, knew that Minerva was a Quidditch fanatic. Minerva and Severus had a long-standing rivalry regarding the Quidditch trophy. 


“What do you want me to do?” Filius asked. “Slow it down?”


“No,” Severus said. “Though that wouldn’t be a bad idea.” Filius laughed. “I want more safeguards on it. I’m sure you know how trouble seems to follow my godson. One of them happening on the Quidditch field.”


“Ah, yes,” Filius said, sobering. “Are you any closer to who would hex the child’s broom?”


“Closer, but not definite,” Severus answered. “But I would appreciate it if you could put a few charms to thwart that from happening again.”


“Of course, of course.” Filius took the Nimbus broom. “I should have it ready later on tonight.”


“Wonderful,” Severus said, walking out of the office. 


+0+0+0

Severus walked into his chambers. 


“I swear, I would like to have one time when I can come into my chambers, and no one is waiting on me,” Severus said. “What do you want, old man?”


Albus couldn’t keep the twinkle out of his eyes. Yes, he could’ve waited until Severus was in his chambers before coming in, but it was just more fun this way. Severus was so easy to aggravate. 


“Come sit,” Albus said, holding his hand towards the sofa.


Severus sighed as he sat down. He was about to say something before Albus continued. 


“I know, I know,” Albus said, smiling. “I never give you a minute's peace. And that may be true, but I didn’t want to think you didn’t get anything.” 


“Albus–”


“Plus, I didn’t want to embarrass you in front of Harry,” Albus said, quieting Severus’ objections. “Though, I don’t know why you would be embarrassed.”


Severus closed his eyes and lowered his head. So many different emotions were going through the man. Severus wasn’t looking for a present. Deep down, he was happy to share Harry’s first Christmas morning with Albus and maybe Minerva. Seeing the child’s face light up to whatever he got could warm even the coldest heart. 


Severus opened his eyes when he felt something being placed on his lap. It was a medium size box that spanned its length and width. It was heavier than one would think for something this size. The Potions Master looked at it and then up at Albus. 


Albus couldn’t help laughing. “Now, Severus, it isn’t going to attack you. Open it.”


Severus wasn’t so sure about it not attacking him. Albus was known for giving him gifts that moved. After opening his gift, Severus was taken aback. Several crystal domes were filled with some of the rarest flowers in stasis. 


“Are they what I think they are?” Severus asked. 


Albus nodded. 


“Where did you find them?” Severus asked, picking up one of the finger-length domes. “How did you find them?”


“I do love getting you something that flusters you,” Albus said, amused. “Just be happy you have them. They are gifts.”


“Albus,” Severus said, grabbing hold of another one of the domes. “This is a Gloriosa Superba.”


“Yes,” Albus acknowledged. “I’m sure, with the help of Pomona, you’ll be able to recreate the perfect conditions to produce more of those Flaming Lilies.” 


“Albus, I’m not sure you understand,” Severus said with wonder in his voice.


“I understand perfectly,” Albus said. “And I’m happy I can still get you things that get you giddy.”


Severus was taken aback. “I am not giddy,” he growled. 


“No,” Albus said, laughing. “Never.” Getting up, Albus said, “I would love to stay longer, but it is getting close to supper time, and I promised Minerva we would have a quiet night.”


Realizing the time, Severus sobered. Harry should have been back by now. 


There was a knock at the door. Severus and Albus walked toward the door. 


“I would think as often as young Harry’s been here, you would have keyed him to your chambers,” Albus said. 


“Didn’t you say you were leaving?” Severus snapped back, opening his door. “Harry–oh, Filius.”


Severus heard Albus chuckle alongside the whoosh of the flames, letting him know that the old coot had left. Slightly shaking his head before turning his attention to Filius.


“I got a message from family, and I’m leaving,” Filius said, handing over the broom. “I didn’t want to leave without giving you this. I’ve modified and added a few protection charms to the broom.” 


“Thank you, Filius,” Severus said. 


Severus watched as the Charm’s professor retreated down the corridor. Placing the broom upright by the door, Severus set out to find his godson. 


___000___000___000

Harry curled himself into a small ball on the other side of the door. The clicking of the dog’s paws was rapidly fading. He wanted his safety. He wished he didn’t ask to see Hedwig. He wished he had followed Professor Snape back to his chambers. 


Harry didn’t have to lift his head to know he was surrounded by darkness. He hated the darkness. He remembered being stuck in that large cupboard for punishment; he could feel things crawling on him. Harry later learned Uncle Vernon would put a sack of rats in the cupboard with him. The rats would chew through the sack's fabric and bite at him. Harry wasn’t afraid of rats, but he didn’t like the unknown.


A pop in front of the boy, causing Harry to shriek. 


“Master Harry.”


“T-Tami,” Harry stuttered. “I can’t see. Where are you?”


A snapping of fingers and a small light illuminated the room. A shriek echoed throughout the room. 


“Don’t cry, Master Harry,” Tami soothed.


“I want my safety,” Harry whispered. His head was on his arms that were wrapped around his knees. 


“Tami will get Master Sev’us,” Tami said. “Tami will help.”


Before Tami could pop away, Harry cried out, “No! Don’t leave me. I don’t want to be alone.”


Tami began to wring her hands. She didn’t know what to do. She knew young Harry wanted Master Sev’us but couldn’t get him if she stayed in the room. 


“Young Master,” Tami tried to soothe. “I’s won’t be long. I’s promise. Master Sev’us will be here.”


Harry nodded and lowered his head in his arms, wrapped around his knees.


___000___000___000

When Severus reached the second floor, he turned down the corridor that led to the second set of stairs, heading towards the owlery. He was stopped by Tami popping in front of him. 


“Master Sev’us. Master Sev’us,” Tami called out as she popped in front of the Potions Master. “It’s Master Harry.”


Severus stopped in front of his house elf. “What about Harry? Where is he?”


“He scared. He hiding.”


“Take me to him,” Severus ordered. 


Tami led the way down the corridor to where Harry was hiding. When they got to the door, she snapped her fingers, and the door made a clicking sound and cracked open. 


Severus walked past the elf and into the small entryway of the door. 


“Harry,” he called out. 


Severus could see around the barren room with the dim light that illuminated it. He couldn’t see Harry immediately but recognized the small child’s whimpers. As Severus got further into the room, he could begin to hear what Harry was mumbling. 


“You’re nothing. You’re a freak. No one will ever love you. You’re a burden. A waste of space. I’m sorry, Uncle Vernon. Please let me out. I’ll be good.”


“Harry,” Severus called out again softly.


The small child flinched at hearing his name. It took a second for the voice to filter into the haze of fear he cocooned himself in. When Harry recognized his safety, he lifted his head.


“Professor,” Harry whimpered.


Severus only had a moment before a small body collided with him. Severus lifted the child in his arms. Instantly, Severus felt his godson’s arms and legs wrap around his body. He slowly rubbed the child’s back as he left the room.


___000___000___000

Severus walked to his winged-back chair when he got back to his chambers. Harry was still in his arms. When he sat down, the flames flashed green for a second, allowing a folded parchment to come through and land on his side table. Severus situated Harry so he was sitting on his lap with the child’s head leaning on his shoulder. Severus needed to talk to the child but didn’t want to upset the boy more by asking him to move back.


Severus was happy that Harry accepted his movement. The child just laid his head on Severus’ shoulder.


Severus looked down at the small child’s face and saw that he was crying, so he conjured a warm flannel, removed Harry’s glasses, and wiped his face. 


Harry didn’t react to the treatment. He just stared into the fire. Being in his safety’s arms and watching the flames calmed the child. The lonely feeling of despair was fading. He curled his body so he was leaning into Severus’ chest. He let a deep sigh out when he felt his safety’s arms tighten around him. 


“Harry,” Severus said softly.


“Hmm.” Harry poked and prodded at one of the buttons on Severus’ coat. 


“Can you tell me what happened?” Severus asked. 


Harry’s hand stilled over the button, and his fingers still around it.


“I’m right here,” Severus soothed, rubbing his hand up and down Harry’s back. “You’re safe.”


“I know,” Harry whispered. “Always when I’m with you.”


Severus cleared his throat. He didn’t know how he felt about that statement but didn’t respond. Not that Harry was looking for a response.


Severus decided to go a different route to get some answers. “You told me you wanted to see Hedwig.”


Harry nodded. 


“Did you?”


Harry shook his head.


“What happened? Why didn’t you get there?”  


Harry heaved a big sigh and sat up a little to look at his Professor.


“I was headed to the owlery like I said. I ran into Professor Quirrell. I try and stay away from him. He scares me.” A chill racked Harry’s body, causing the child to lean against his Professor’s chest.


“What happened next?” Severus asked. 


“There was this dog,” Harry said. 


“A dog? Fang?” 


“No,” Harry answered. “It wasn’t Fang. This dog was sickly looking. It had yellow teeth.”


“Did it try to come after you?”


“I don’t know,” Harry shrugged his shoulders. “I ran. I don’t like dogs that much.”


Severus’ brow furrowed at that last statement.


“You don’t like dogs?” Severus questioned. “You are aware that behemoth you like to wrestle around with is, in fact, a dog.”


“Well, Fang is different,” Harry said, returning to bother Severus’ coat button again. “Fang’s my friend.”


Severus had been teaching at Hogwarts for nineteen years. He learned long ago trying to rationalize a child’s way of thinking would only give you a headache.


“You said you ran into Professor Quirrell?” Severus asked, getting the topic off the dog.


“Yeah,” Harry agreed, shuddering again.


“Does Quirrell bother you?” Severus asked. 


“He seems weird,” Harry explained. “He’s creepy. I try to stay away from him. He smells of garlic. It makes my stomach hurt. And sometimes my head hurts,” Harry pointed to his scar, “here.”


Severus did not like what he was hearing. He’s been apprehensive about Quirrell for a while, but things were beginning to point more and more to the Defense professor.


Not wanting to worry Harry about his thoughts, Severus decided to end this line of questioning. That didn’t mean he wasn’t going to Albus with this new information. He already wanted Quirrell gone for sending Harry out in the forest as a form of punishment, but adding this to it just didn’t seem kosher. 


“It’s getting late,” Severus announced. “Why don’t you go wash, and we’ll have some supper.”


Harry thought about the idea of leaving his safety, but he wasn’t feeling the cold dread that iced his insides like he did when he was trapped in the room. So, he figured it would be alright. He slid off his Godfather’s lap and headed back to the bathroom.


Severus rubbed his face before reaching over and retrieving the parchment that came through the fire earlier. 


+0+0+0

Severus and Harry were sitting at the table, eating in comfortable silence. Harry took his potions before he started eating. And Severus was pleased that although Harry’s portions were still under average, Harry was eating more. 


When dessert came, Severus said, “The Weasleys have asked if you wanted to come over for boxing day. Mrs. Weasley said she was planning a day of games and preparing a huge meal. Would you like to go?”


Harry lowered his hands to his lap. He didn’t know how he really felt about that. He would love to see Ron and his brothers. He wouldn’t mind seeing Ginny again. He’d love to play another pick-up game of Quidditch. But he didn’t want to be away from his safety either.


“Are you going too?” Harry asked. 


Severus, once again, was shocked by the question. It still confounded him that this child wanted to spend so much time with the most hated professor.


“I have a meeting with the Headmaster tomorrow,” Severus said. “I will drop you off and pick you up.”


Harry thought about that momentarily, finally saying, “Okay.” 


Severus nodded, and the two finished their dessert in comfortable silence once more. 


After confirming Harry’s attendance with the Weasleys and arrival and departure time, Severus sent Harry off to shower and get ready for bed. Severus sat in his chair. There was a forgotten tumbler of amber liquid on his side table. His eyes were clothes as he meditated on everything that occurred. He was disturbed by a shuffling of sock-clad feet. 


Severus opened his eyes and saw Harry in his pajamas, twisting his fingers and biting his lip. Waving the child over, Severus waited until Harry was close enough before stopping the child’s torture of his fingers and lip. 


“Yes, Harry,” Severus said. 


“Uh, can you,” Harry hesitated. 


“Mr. Potter, kindly ask your question,” Severus said, though not harshly.


“Can you tell me more about my mum?” Harry rushed out.


“I think,” Severus said, lifting Harry onto his lap. “That would be a wonderful way to end Christmas.”


Harry smiled as he curled into Severus. 


Severus accio’ed a quilt, wrapped it around the small child, and began telling Harry of the different things he and Lily did when they were home from Primary school.


Before Harry entered the sitting room, Severus pondered the thought of giving Harry a small dose of Dreamless Sleep. Severus didn’t want Harry to have nightmares from the stress of this evening. But giving Harry plenty of stories about Lily was a better dose of medicine than the potion. The small tumbler of amber liquid was forgotten as Severus spoke about his best friend, Lily.


TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 23: Two Steps Back by mandancie
Author's Notes:

A/N: Please forgive me for my lack of updates. Because of medical reasons, I haven’t been able to write as much as I hoped. I am doing much better, so I hope that there won’t be another hiatus on my story.

The sickly, thin dog trotted back into the Infirmary. It walked past the matron's office, realizing the room was empty. The dog walked further into the Infirmary. It started shaking, changing back into its human form.


When Sirius was younger, it didn't take much effort to change to his Animagus form. But during his time in Azkaban, it slowly became more tedious. But it was the one thing that kept him sane while being around the Dementors.

 

After talking with the Headmaster, Sirius didn't like how Dumbledore and McGonagall treated him regarding Snivellous and Harry. Sure, he didn't call Harry by name, and he didn't stay with Harry; instead, he followed Pettigrew. Those were things that he was going to have to live with. But this blind faith the two of them had with Snape was just too much. And if they wouldn't let him see his godson, he would find the child alone.

 

So, Sirius changed into his dog form and escaped the Infirmary; he searched for Harry. He liked that it didn't take him long to find the boy. Not only was he not hard to find since there were so few children in the castle, but Harry looked the same as James. 

 

He saw Harry running up the stairs. Staying hidden, Sirius watched as the content child continued on his journey. He loved seeing that face on the child. It was better than the scared one when he first saw the boy. Not to scare Harry, Sirius followed from a safe distance. The dog didn't know where Harry was going, but from where the child was going, he speculated that Harry was going to the owlery.

 

While going down the extension corridor, Sirius smelled something wrong. He couldn't place what the smell was. He just knew it was bad news. As he got closer, he saw his godson shying away from someone. He didn't like the fear on Harry's face, so he decided to make his presence known. He saw his godson get away from the man, but Sirius was going after the man. Because he'd been in Azkaban for ten years, he didn't have the strength or stamina to keep up with the man and lost the scent when he reached the next corridor. Not wanting to risk being caught, Sirius headed back to the Infirmary.


Now, lying back on the cot, Sirius knew he needed to keep an eye on his godson. He had to stop whoever that man was from hurting his godson. 


_0_0_0

Harry woke up with a stretch. He didn't know where he was, but he didn't feel scared. He felt safe. He pried his eyes open, but from what Harry could see, he was not in his room. But when he curled back up into a small ball, the smell of the sheets brought safety. 


"I see you're finally awake."


Harry turned to see his safety standing in the doorway. Harry sat up but meekly replied, "Morning, Professor."


“Morning, Harry,” Severus replied, walking towards his armoire. 


Harry sat on the bed and watched Severus gather several small items he needed to start his day. Harry had a small instance of worry that he was encroaching on his Professor’s privacy, but Professor Snape didn’t seem bothered by Harry’s presence in his room. Being in here with his safety brought a sense of calm to the child. 


“If you’re done starring,” Severus said, still facing his armoire, “why don’t you go and get ready?”


“Yes, sir,” Harry said as he climbed out of the bed. 


“Wear something warm,” Severus continued. “You’ll be going to the Weasleys after breakfast.” 


Harry froze in the middle of the hallway, hearing that he was leaving his safety. He couldn’t leave Professor Snape. He knew he had agreed to go, but now, he didn’t want to leave his safety. What was he going to do? 


Harry turned back towards Severus’ room. 


“Do I have to go?”


Severus looked over at the small child standing in his doorway. Harry was twisting his shirttail around his fingers and biting his lip. Severus had hoped that since Harry readily agreed to go to the Burrow last night, there would have been no setbacks to Harry’s scare yesterday. Now, it doesn’t seem to be the case.


Severus walked over to Harry and knelt before him. “You said you wanted to go,” Severus reminded Harry. 


“But what if I can’t come back?” Harry asked, panic in his voice.


Severus slowly released Harry’s fingers from their cloth confines. “It will be just like before. You are only going for a visit. You will be there for a few hours, having fun with the Weasleys. Then you will come back home.” 


“Home,” Harry whispered. A small smile formed on his lips. 


“Yes, home,” Severus confirmed. “So, go get ready. We’ll have breakfast, and then I’ll take you over. Alright.”


“Yes, sir,” Harry said before turning and heading towards the bathroom.


_0_0_0

Christmas was always a massive affair with the Weasleys. It was even better since all the children were home. However, there seemed to be a shadow over the family, with them worrying about the small boy who had graced their home a few days before. Arthur and Molly kept the atmosphere light-hearted. 


Boxing Day was just as massive. They would spend the day playing games or conversing with each other. It was a day when they planned for what they wished to accomplish in the upcoming year. Arthur and Molly thought having this time could show their support for what their children wanted to do. They had seen Bill and Charlie working on their respective dreams. And they were anxious to see how their younger children fared.  


Bill was a savant at cracking magical barriers. He was the only trusted wizard who worked with Goblins at Gringotts. Not many witches and wizards have the trust of Goblins. Bill was also the lead investigator in breaking the old Egyptian curse of Pharaoh Seti. Many archeologists wanted to study the tombs, so Bill was sent to begin his work on bypassing the curses so it would be safe for archeologists. 


Charlie’s love for creatures and animals found him working in one of the best dragon reserves in Great Britain. Growing up, Molly and Arthur worried about their secondborn's safety. He used to spend his time with Hagrid while he was attending Hogwarts. They had nothing against Hagrid, but he did fancy wanting a lot of dangerous creatures. And Charlie’s love for the same dangerous creatures was nurtured there. Charlie was the only wizard licensed in Great Britain to handle the Norweigan Ridgeback dragon, the most dangerous breed of dragon alive. 


It was time to learn more about what the younger Weasley clan wanted to pursue and how they wanted to achieve it—Percy’s dream of working in the Ministry, the twins wanting to open their own joke shop, and Ginny’s aspirations of going professional in Quidditch. 


Ron was still on the fence about what he wanted to do. Fred and George offered to have Ron work with them, but Ron shot that down quickly. He didn’t want to be their guinea pig for their products. 


+0+0+0

Ron was sitting in his room absently rubbing Scabbers’ back when Fred and George came in. 


“What are you up to?” George asked, sitting next to Ron on his bed.


“Yeah,” Fred chimed in. “Breakfast will be ready soon. I would have thought you would be downstairs already.”


When Ron just looked at the twins and didn’t reply, the twins knew that something was truly bothering their baby brother. 


“Seriously, what’s wrong?” Fred asked, pulling a chair closer to Ron and sitting before him.


“Professor Snape is mean to Harry,” Ron blurted. “Why would Harry be with him?”


“Ron-”


“No,” Ron snapped. “We have to get Harry from him. He’s a git. Always giving Harry detention. And he’s mean to Harry during class.”


“Just stop,” George. 


Ron stopped his rant.


“Is this how a friend is supposed to act?” George asked. “Harry obviously trusts Professor Snape.”


“What’s all the yelling?” 


The three younger Weasleys turned to see Bill standing in the doorway. 


“What’s going on?” Bill asked, walking into the room.


“Harry needs to get away from Professor Snape,” Ron adamantly said. “They don’t know,” pointing at Fred and George, “how he treats Harry during class.”


“And you’ve seen all the interactions between Harry and Professor Snape?” Bill countered. “I don’t doubt that Professor Snape isn’t mean towards him in class. He’s been like that since I was going there.”


Ron huffed, rolling his eyes.


“But you didn’t see them at the Will reading,” Bill continued. “Professor Snape cares about Harry. Harry’s his godson.”


“It’s still wrong,” Ron said stubbornly. 


“Let me put it this way,” Bill said. “How do you think Harry would feel if you made him choose?”


“What do you mean?” Ron asked.


“Between you and Professor Snape,” Fred chimed in.


Ron looked between his older brothers. His resolve was waning a little.


“Professor Snape is his Godfather,” Bill said. “And right now, the only family he has in his corner. You saw how Harry acted when Professor Snape came here.”


Ron admitted he was surprised at how much Harry clung to the man.


“Boys, breakfast!” Molly’s voice could be heard coming from the stairs. 


“We’re coming,” Bill yelled back. Turning back to his baby brother. “Listen, Ron, give this a chance. You might be surprised. Now, let’s go. Professor Snape is bringing Harry over after breakfast.”


Ron set Scabbers on his bed and followed his brothers downstairs. He thought about what his brothers said, and he couldn’t discount what he saw the other day when Snape came and picked up Harry. He would give the Professor a chance. But he was going to keep his eye on the man. And he would be right there if Professor Snape did anything against Harry. 


_0_0_0

Severus and Harry stepped out of the Weasley’s fireplace. Well, Severus stepped out. Harry almost fell and would have hit the floor if Severus hadn’t held the child’s shoulder. Ron ran over to the fireplace before either of them could greet the family. 


“Heya, Harry,” Ron called out as he rushed to his friend’s side. “Come on, I want to show you my room.” 


Without waiting for Harry to respond or for the Potion’s Master to let go of Harry, Ron gripped the small boy’s arm and pulled him towards the stairs. 


Before Severus could voice his displeasure that his godson was being manhandled, Molly piped up. “Ronald Weasley, you will release Harry this instant. You know better.” Molly walked over to where Ron and Harry stood at the bottom of the stairs.


“But Harry never got to see my room,” Ron whined. 


“And he won’t see your room, and you will be up there alone if you don’t act like you have better sense than this.” Molly pulled Ron to a secluded corner and whispered, “If you don’t want to meet with my spoon, you will behave. Now, you walk yourself over to Professor Snape and apologize.”


“But, mum,” Ron whined.


“Now.”


A now red-faced Ron sulked over to his Professor, who was still standing by the fireplace with his arms crossed over his chest.


“I’m sorry, Professor Snape,” Ron mumbled, red-faced. 


Severus nodded and walked over towards Harry, who was standing by the stairs with his fingers now wrapped in his robes. He walked over to his godson and knelt in front of him. Slowly, Severus freed the child’s fingers.


“I’ll be back before dinner to pick you up,” Severus said as he stood. Pulling two phials from the inner pocket of his robes, Severus walked over to Molly and handed them to her. “Harry needs these with his lunch.”


“I’ll take care of it,” Molly promised. 


Severus turned to walk to the fireplace when a small body collided with his back. Harry’s grip around Severus’ middle wasn’t so tight that he couldn’t maneuver the boy, so they were in front of each other. Severus could hear Harry mumbling quietly against his robes.

Severus leaned down to whisper in Harry’s ear. “You will be fine. I’ll be back in a couple of hours. Have fun with your friends.”


Harry lifted his head and looked up at Severus. “You promise?”


“Promise,” Severus said before releasing Harry and leaving through the floo.


___000___000___000

Albus was sitting behind his desk when Severus stepped through the floo. 


“I take it Harry’s comfortable at the Weasleys,” Albus inquired. 


“Just dropped him off,” Severus said absently, Harry’s plea still ringing in his ears. 


Albus could see how distracted his adopted son was. “What’s bothering you, Severus?”


“An incident happened with Harry last night,” Severus revealed. He continued before Albus could interrupt. “Harry never made it to the owlery. He told me Quirrell stopped him in the corridor that connected the two towers. From what I could get from Harry, nothing happened, but a dog was at the end of the corridor.”


“A dog?” Albus asked. 


Severus nodded. “Harry hid in an unused room.”


“A dog,” Albus repeated, mostly talking to himself. Changing the subject, Albus asked, “How long will young Harry be at the Weasleys?”


“I’m picking him up before dinner,” Severus said, getting up from the chair. “I will be working on the list of potions Poppy is low on.”   


Severus walked out of Albus’ chambers before the elder wizard acknowledged him.


Hearing that there was a mysterious dog in the castle did not sit well with Albus. He sent a Patronus and left his chambers.


___000___000___000 

Albus stood outside the double doors of the Infirmary. He was in deep thought when Minerva was walking towards him. 


“Albus,” Minerva said as she got closer to her friend. “What’s going on?”


“I believe it is time we both talk with Mr. Black,” Albus said, opening the doors.


Poppy was helping Sirius back into bed when Albus and Minerva walked in. 


“Good morning, Sirius, Poppy,” Albus called out when he walked into the hospital chambers. 


“Good morning, Albus and Minerva,” Poppy replied as she covered Sirius’ legs with a thin sheet before placing a pillow on his lap.


“How are you doing, my boy?” Albus asks Sirius. 


“Madam Pomfrey’s taking great care of me,” Sirius answered as Poppy placed his breakfast tray on Sirius’s pillow-covered lap.


“I’ll be back with your tray,” Poppy said to Sirius. “Please excuse me.” Poppy walked towards her office. 


“Because of the malnutrition, I have to have smaller, more frequent meals,” Sirius said by way of explanation.


“We won’t keep you long,” Albus promised. “I need some information from you.”


“Will I get my godson?” Sirius asked. 


“No,” Minerva said flatly. “Not until I am assured that you will not harm the child, you will go nowhere near Harry.”


“What must I do to prove to you that I’m not the bad guy?” Sirius begged. “I didn’t give out James and Lily’s location. I wasn’t their secret keeper.”


“Who was?” Albus asked. “Because I believed you would become the secret keeper when I set those wards.”


“Yes,” Sirius agreed. “I was supposed to, but I convinced James to use someone else. I knew I would be the logical choice. To be able to throw whoever went after James would be wasting their time questioning me.”


“Well, who did you suggest?” Minerva asked. 


“I told you. Peter,” Sirius replied. “What can I do to prove it?”


“Peter Pettigrew is dead,” Albus said. “You killed him.”


“He’s not dead,” Sirius pleaded. “I never used my wand. I actually didn’t have it. I dropped it next to James’ body.”


“So,” Albus started. “You want us to believe you weren’t the Potters’ secret keeper. That Peter Pettigrew is, in fact, alive. And you’re not a double agent: a Death Eater.”


Sirius ripped the sleeve of his left arm, revealing pale skin, tipping his tray almost spilling its content. “I have no mark on me. Can Snivelous say the same? That who you should ask,” Sirius growled. “He’s the double agent! He’s who you have taking care of MY godson!”


A gasp sounded throughout the Infirmary. The air seemed to crackle. There was a blast of light that encompassed the bed Sirius was on. The light seemed to melt away, revealing a shield surrounding Sirius’ bed, protecting him from the curse that was cast. 


Sirius didn’t know what happened. At first, he was angry that the Headmaster believed he could be a Death Eater, but he couldn’t see or hear from a haze surrounding him. Once the haze cleared, he saw Madam Pomfrey and Professor McGonagall talking to the Headmaster but couldn’t hear them.


“Albus, you have to calm down,” Minerva pleaded. 


“I will not allow–” Albus whispered.


“I understand, Albus,” Poppy said, cutting the Headmaster off. “But you cannot attack a patient under my care. No matter how ignorant he is.”


“Release him,” Minerva said. “I’ll talk for now while you calm down.”


Sirius saw the Headmaster wave his hand, and he could hear. He didn’t know what the Headmaster did, but he wasn’t stupid enough to doubt how powerful Albus was. Sirius heard rumors about Albus Dumbledore's power, but to see the level of power firsthand is a different feeling altogether. 


Albus stood and left the Infirmary without saying a word.


“Mr. Black,” Minerva said, bringing Sirius out of his musings. “I believe you were warned about how you talk about Severus.”


Sirius, this time, kept his mouth shut.


“You want us to believe you?” Minerva continued. “Then you must grow up. We’ve heard you throw that name around. It will stop. Especially since Severus is the only one capable of proving if you’re telling the truth.”


_0_0_0

The two boys were in Ron’s room. After Professor Snape left, Ron pulled Harry upstairs to his room. Harry looked around at the different kinds of posters lining the walls.  


“You like Professor Snape?” Ron asked.


“Yeah,” Harry said, turning to face his friend. “He’s my godfather.”


“Dungeon bat as a godfather,” Ron mused. He was sitting on his bed, petting Scabbers, his rat. 


“I know he seems mean,” Harry said, walking over to his friend. “But he’s not to me. Professor Snape is my Godfather. And I like being with him. He’s my safety.”


“He tried to curse your broom,” Ron said.


“That wasn’t him,” Harry replied. “He kept me on my broom.”


“How do you know?” Ron asked. 


“I asked him,” Harry said. 


“He could be lying,” Ron argued back. “Me and Hermione saw him.”


“Professor Snape wouldn’t lie to me,” Harry said adamantly. “Professor Snape always helped me. Even with the troll.”


Ron didn’t know how to respond to that. He didn’t know about the troll. He didn’t want to upset his best friend, but he had to get Harry to see that Professor Snape wasn’t the best person.


“Does this mean you don’t want to be friends anymore?” Harry asked sadly after a moment of silence between the two boys. 


That statement shocked Ron. He didn’t want his friendship with Harry to be ruined. He loved being with Harry. Harry was the first friend he met on the train. What would it hurt anyone if Harry liked being with the Professor? And was it worth the cost of his friendship? 


“Oi, Ron!”


“Harry!”


The twin’s voices were coming from the stairway. Harry approached the doorway and saw Fred and George climbing the stairs. 


“Fancy a game of Quidditch, Harry?” George asked.


“Yes,” Harry nodded, a small smile on his face.


Harry looked back at Ron, who was still sitting on his bed, and wondered if this meant it was the end. He didn’t want this to stop. Mrs. Weasley gave the best hugs. When he did come the last time, he enjoyed flying with Charlie and Ginny. It proved that being a Freak meant he couldn’t have good things happen to him. Maybe he shouldn’t have his safety as well. Maybe it would be best if he didn’t ruin everything for everybody.


Fred pulled Harry out of his thoughts when he put his arm around Harry’s shoulder. “Come on,” Fred said, smiling. “We’ll get to have a real game. And you’ll be on my team.”


Harry allowed himself to be taken back downstairs. 


_0_0_0

Severus was finishing up on the last potions for Poppy when the laboratory door opened.


“Yes, Albus,” Severus said without stopping what he was doing.


“Am I that predictable?” Albus mused as he walked over to the working table.


“I knew it was inevitable; you coming down here,” Severus replied, putting the last ingredient in the cauldron. “I informed you where I would be, and I knew you or that cat wouldn’t stay away.” 


Albus chuckled. 


“Yes, well,” Albus said. “Your expertise is being required.”


“I don’t like the sound of that,” Severus said, facing his adopted father. The potions were finished. It just needed cooling before it could be separated into different phials. “What’s going on?” 


“Sirius Black claimed to Minerva and me that he was not the Potters’ secret keeper,” Albus said. 


Severus raised his brow skeptically. 


“You can easily find that out yourself, old man,” Severus said, crossing his arms over his chest as he leaned against the table.


“Yes, well,” Albus shrugged. “It would be safer for Sirius if you used Legilimency.”


“What makes you assume I want to?” Severus asked. “You’re much better at it than me.”


The last thing Severus wanted was to see Black, much less look into that man’s mind. 


“I know you have your reservations,” Albus said. 


“More than reservations,” Severus countered. “I don’t want to be in the same room with the man.”


“Severus, please,” Albus sighed. He hated asking his adopted son to do this, but his anger towards Sirius for his lack of respect for Severus clouded his judgment. And he knew he would do more harm than good if he performed Legilimency. 


“I wouldn’t push this if it weren’t important. And this is the best time, being Harry’s out of the castle.”


Severus couldn’t argue with that logic, and he couldn’t help but want to satisfy his morbid curiosity about what else happened that night. 


+0+0+0

“I can see that you want us to believe you,” Minerva said. “And deep down, I want to be wrong about what I believed happened that night. But you have to prove it to me.”


“What is it? What can I do to prove to you that I didn’t betray James?” 


Before Minerva could reply, the Infirmary doors opened, and Albus and Severus walked in. Minerva gave Severus and Albus a warm smile before turning back to Sirius.


“Severus will perform Legilimency on you,” Minerva said. “You will allow it without complaint,” she quickly amended when it looked like Sirius would complain.


“I don’t want that Death Eater scum anywhere near me,” Sirius griped. 


Minerva lowered her head in her hand. Before she could respond to Black, Severus spoke up.


“This Death Eater is the only thing keeping you from having anyone believe you,” Severus growled. “You are alone. You don’t have Potter and Lupin to back you anymore. And it doesn’t matter if you’re Harry’s Godfather or not; you will not have any contact with the child. And he’ll never know about you if I can help it.”


“You will not keep my godson away from me,” Sirius growled.


“Try me,” Severus challenged, smirking. 


The atmosphere was charged in the Infirmary. Small chimes were coming from the phials of potions on the side table.


_0_0_0

Harry wanted to tell Mr. and Mrs. Weasley that he was a freak and didn’t deserve to ruin their time, but he just couldn’t bring himself to say anything. 


When Fred brought him downstairs, he was whisked away so fast he didn’t have time to talk to Mrs. Weasley. When he got outside, he saw that everyone but Ron was waiting by the makeshift Quidditch field. It hurt his heart that he might lose his first friend.


Harry played with the others for a while. Ron finally showed up. At first, Harry was worried that things truly did change between the two of them, but Ron didn’t act any different than he did before. Harry hoped that meant everything was alright. But in the back of his mind, he knew the truth. He was a Freak and would always be a Freak. 


+0+0+0

Molly stepped outside the front door and yelled, “Time to come in. Lunchtime.” 


Fred and George wrapped their arms around Harry’s shoulders when they landed, leaving their brooms on the ground and walking towards the house. 


“Go get cleaned up,” Molly said when the group of children reached the door. 


The twins ensured that Harry was the first to get cleaned and, once again, escorted the small child to the table.


Harry didn’t know why the twins were sticking around him. He was sure they knew he was a Freak and that he didn’t need to fret over. 


When he reached the kitchen, he was once again surprised at how much food was laid out. When they ate at Hogwarts, Harry knew that Ron could eat a lot of food, but the idea of having this amount just boggled Harry’s mind. Harry saw everyone sitting around the table. He looked around to see if there was anything that he could do. 


“Harry.” Molly’s voice broke through Harry’s musings. 


“Do you need me to clean up?” Harry asked.


Molly’s heart hurt, hearing the small child’s question, but she didn’t want to dwell on it. She wanted Harry to eat. She pulled out the two potions that Severus left behind and handed them to the small child. 


She kissed Harry’s forehead and said, “Go sit down and eat. My boys love to fill their plates, as I’m sure you know.”


Harry was surprised by the kiss. He was a Freak. Freaks didn’t get kissed. 


“Harry,” Bill called out. “Come sit.” He pulled out the chair next to him. 


Still dumbfounded by the kiss he received, Harry walked over to the table and sat down. 


Charlie sat on the other side and began filling Harry’s plate. “Take your potions and eat. I’m sure you worked up an appetite flying around outside.”


“Yeah,” Harry agreed, nodding numbly. 


“Plus,” Charlie leaned towards Harry, whispering, “I want a rematch.” 


That brought Harry to awareness. He looked up at Charlie. 


“I have to defend my title,” Charlie said, winking at Harry. 


Harry couldn’t help smiling up at Charlie. He took his potions and began eating what was on his plate. 


Bill and Charlie looked at each other over Harry’s head. Bill gave his brother a small nod. They were determined to make Harry feel like family. They didn’t want to hear Harry’s desponded pleas anymore. No child should be afraid of asking for food. 


Molly stood back and listened to the interaction between Harry and her oldest boys. Seeing her sons preoccupy Harry so that he didn’t slip into another panic attack made her so proud of her sons. 

TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 24: A Conspiracy Unmasked by mandancie
Author's Notes:

I'm on a roll! I hope this trend will continue.

“If you’re telling the truth, and you didn’t betray Lily, then you have nothing to fear from this,” Severus said, sitting on the chair next to Sirius’ bed. 


“I’m not afraid of you, Snevillous,” Sirius growled. 


Before either Albus or Minerva could say anything, Severus used Legilimens on Sirius. The weaker man moaned in pain from the invasion. 


A kaleidoscope of images flew past Severus’ mind’s eye. Things from recent times and things from the past. After a long moment, Severus broke the connection between him and Sirius. 


Sirius collapsed unconscious. Poppy was by his side, lying him down so he was in a more comfortable position. 


Severus groaned as he lowered his head in his hands. He had a piercing headache. 


When Poppy finished with Sirius, knowing Severus’ subtle signs of him in pain, she retrieved a small phial of pain reliever for the Potions Master. 


Albus was beside his adopted son with his hand on Severus’ shoulder.


“What did you see, Severus?” Albus asked. 


“He’s telling the truth,” Severus groaned. “He wasn’t their secret keeper.”


Albus and Minerva were speechless. They looked at the sickly man lying on the bed. He was wrongly accused of something he didn’t do. 


“The addendum that was to be given to you,” Severus continued. 


“What about it?” Albus asked. 


“Black wrote it. At Potter’s behest,” Severus said, standing up. Severus swayed as he tried to catch his balance. 


Albus gripped his elbow to help keep Severus standing. 


“I have to go,” Severus announced. 


“Where are you going?” Minerva asked. 


“It’s almost time to pick up Harry,” Severus replied, stepping away from Albus. 


When Severus made it to his chambers, he walked over to the small table that housed the Firewhiskey. He needed a drink after everything he’d seen from Black’s mind. 


Things that haunted him from his past came roaring back after seeing what he just did. He had always wondered how Black, Potter, and Lupin got away with so much during their time at Hogwarts. Now, he knew. 


That infamous night when he had the run-in with Lupin. He learned the big secret of how they would sneak out and what he thought he imagined when he was attacked. 


Hearing the door to his chambers open, Severus knew Albus would come to see about him. 


“I’ll be alright, Headmaster,” Severus said without turning to face the elder wizard. 


“I know you will with time,” Albus said. “But I’m worried about now. I’m sure there were things that brought back painful memories.”


“One of the reasons I didn’t want to do that,” Severus growled, facing Albus. “You wanted to humiliate me again. See, all this time, they were just joking around, saying it didn’t matter what they did to me. As long as your precious Gryffindor’s–”  


Albus stood before Severus, gripping his adopted son’s shoulders. Giving him a slight shake to stop the Potions Master’s rant mid-sentence.


“Stop! Is that what you believed I did that night?” Albus asked. “There was more to that night than just Black’s prank.”


“You do not have to try and pacify me,” Severus growled, stepping away from Albus and starting to pace. “I’m no longer a naive child that needs coddling. Black and Potter could do no wrong in your eyes. I’ve known that for years. But now, looking into Black’s memories, I know it as truth.”


“Those boys were never treated any more special than you were,” Albus stated. 


“So, they were allowed to become animagi without repercussions,” Severus accused angrily. 


“What?” Albus’ brows furrowed.


“Don’t act like you didn’t know, old man,” Severus growled. “Potter and Black became animagi.”


“That’s not possible,” Albus said, stepping back. “Only one person in this castle is a registered animagus.”


“Well, they’re unregistered then,” Severus sighed. After a moment of silence between them, Severus realized something and then spoke again. “You really didn’t know?”


Albus sat down on the sofa. “No,” shaking his head, “I didn’t know. I guess I don’t know everything that happens within these walls.”


Severus’ anger deflated as he sat down in his chair. He didn’t want to bring up the past. It seemed to take him forever to get past it. He hated this feeling of vulnerability. It was years ago. 


“Severus,” Albus said softly. “I’ve only wanted to protect you. But it seems all I’ve ever done was hurt you more.”


“Albus, don’t,” Severus sighed, knowing where this was going. Severus didn’t need this now. He didn’t want this now or ever.


“I handled that night poorly,” Albus continued as if Severus didn’t say anything. “I never wanted you to feel that I was choosing sides. I was trying to protect a student to whom I had made a promise. And in doing so, I ostracized you.”


“Stop,” Severus said. “It’s in the past. It’s over. I’m over it. Leave it alone.” He didn’t want to deal with this. He needed to occlude and put all this behind the barriers in his mind. It never should have broken down. 


“But the thing is, it’s not,” Albus said. “I’m so sorry, Severus.” He knew what Severus was trying to do. He’d indulged him through the years. But not this time. There was more at stake than just Severus. There was also Harry to deal with. And if Severus was going to be the best he could with his godson, he had to deal with his past. “Don’t do this, Severus.”


“Do what?”


“Hide from this,” Albus said. “Close yourself off. You are hurting from this. I’m sorry I put you through this. You have every right to what you are feeling. And it is okay to feel these emotions. You are not weak by letting someone in.”


“Fine,” Severus snapped. “Can we leave this subject now? 


“For now,” Albus said.


_0_0_0

“You ready, Harry?” Charlie asked, kicking off the ground. 


Harry nodded as he also kicked off the ground. 


“Okay, you two,” Fred said. “On the count of three.”


Lunch happened without a hitch. The Weasley children and Harry were back out at the small Quidditch pitch. Bill and Charlie kept Harry occupied during lunch. Neither guy wanted to see Harry in the state he was in the last time he came over. The twins piped in as well. 


“Three,” Fred called out, tossing the practice Snitch in the air. 


Harry and Charlie took off after it. But unlike the first time they played, Fred, George, and Ron kicked off to the air. 


Bill was standing under one of the make-shift goalposts when a bit of parchment popped in front of him. He opened it and began to read it. 


Charlie whooped in excitement when Harry once again caught the snitch. 


“You are just too good,” Charlie praised. 


Harry couldn’t help the smile that spread across his face. He looked over at Ron, hoping he would also be happy. He didn’t like how things turned out when he was in Ron’s room. Would he forever be a Freak? He wanted to believe his Godfather when he said he wasn’t, but only Freaks lose their friends if they didn’t like what he liked.


Harry was brought out of his musing when he saw Charlie fly past him and land beside his brother. Harry and the others landed as well to see what the problem was. 


“I have to go,” Bill said when everyone stood around him.


“Now?” Charlie asked. “Why?”


“Somethings come up at Gringotts,” Bill said, walking towards the house. 


Charlie, Fred, George, Ron, and Harry stood and watched Bill jog back towards the house.    


“Come on,” Charlie said. “Let’s go inside. Maybe mum will have some hot chocolate to warm us up.” 


Charlie led the small group into the house. 


+0+0+0

Bill walked into Gringotts and headed straight to Griphook’s office. He walked in without knocking. They called him during his time off. Bill was not happy.


“This had better not be another addendum on the Potter’s estate,” Bill growled when he stepped before Griphook’s desk.


Griphook’s office was in the process of being rebuilt. After Griphook called Professors Dumbledore and Snape, and they brought Harry with them, Harry’s burst of magic significantly damaged his office. 


The large hole encompassing the entire wall behind his desk must be filled in again. And Griphook was no better. From what Bill heard and felt no sympathy for, the goblin had to spend a few days at St. Mungo’s. 


“We learned of the wizard that put the Unforgiveable on the elf. Once we could remove it and the Confundo charm, the elf could show us who cast those spells.” 


“And what did you learn?” Bill asked. 


“The wizard that cast those spells was Peter Pettigrew,” Griphook said.


“Wow,” Bill said, shaking his head. “You guys really screwed up. How is that even possible? Do you realize the backlash that will come from this when it comes out?”


“This cannot leave this office,” Griphook adamantly said. 


“You’re kidding, right?” Bill walked towards the door. He left, shaking his head. He knew he would have to let Professor Dumbledore know what he just learned.


_0_0_0

Albus walked into his chambers. A lot had happened within the past couple of hours. Things he thought he was certain about turned out to be false. Sirius was wrongfully imprisoned. He knew he would have to contact Amelia Bones before the day was out. But what worried him more was his son. He had to figure out how to make things right for Severus. 


Albus was pulled from his thoughts when the fireplace came to life with green flames.


“Professor Dumbledore.”


Albus recognized the eldest Weasley son’s voice and said, “Come through, Master Weasley.” 


Bill stepped through the flames and walked over to Albus’ desk. 


Looking at Bill’s face, Albus knew what he would be told would not be good. “How are you, Mr. Weasley? What can I do for you?”


“I’m sorry to come by unannounced,” Bill said. 


Albus waved off the apology, “No need. What can I help you with?”


“I was called to Gringotts and learned some interesting news.”


“Does this have anything to do with Harry?” Albus asked, waving his hand and sending out his Patronus. Albus figured that Minerva and Severus would also need to hear whatever he was about to hear.


Before Bill could answer, Minerva entered the office door, and Severus stepped through the fireplace's hearth. 


Severus had no idea what Albus could possibly want so soon after leaving his chambers. However, he was unprepared to see Bill Weasley in Albus’ office. His first thought went to his godson. 


“Mr. Weasley,” Severus greeted. “Is something wrong? Is it Harry?”


“Harry’s fine,” Bill reassured. “He was playing Quidditch with Charlie and the others when I left. No, this is something that came to my attention just now. I just learned Peter Pettigrew was the wizard that cursed the elf to hide the Potter’s Will.” 


_0_0_0

Harry sat at the table drinking the best hot chocolate he’d ever tasted. He was happy to know that he would get some as well, but couldn’t help his lonely feeling because he was the only one sitting at the table. When the others came to get their cups, they left Harry all alone. The warm chocolate felt good going down, but it didn’t soothe the ache in his chest. 


Mrs. Weasley didn’t treat him like his aunt did. She even gave him a kiss on his forehead before lunch. 


Harry looked over and saw Ron whispering with Fred, George, and Charlie. He wondered what they were talking about. Probably about him. Probably saying how much of a Freak he was. 


Harry almost dropped his mug when he felt a hand on his shoulder. 


“Heya, Harry.”


Harry looked back and saw Ron standing next to him. 


“Yeah,” Harry said. 


“I’m sorry for how I’ve been acting,” Ron said. 


That surprised Harry. What did Ron feel sorry for? 


“I’m still your friend, right?” Ron asked. 


Harry was so dumbstruck by the apology that he could only nod his reply. Ron still wanted to be friends. Didn’t Ron know what kind of Freak he was? Harry was a Freak. He wasn’t supposed to have friends. But Ron still wanted to be his friend.


“But I’m a Freak,” Harry said once he got his voice.


“No! You’re not!” Ron yelled.


Charlie walked into the kitchen when he heard his little brother yell. 


“What’s going on?” Charlie asked, walking into the kitchen and sitting next to Harry.


“I’m sorry,” Harry said, misreading why Ron was yelling. “I can’t seem to do anything right. You don’t have to be my friend anymore. I understand.”


Fred and George walked into the kitchen when they heard what was being said. 


“Oi, Harry,” George said.


“We’ll always be your friend,” Fred continued. 


The twins sat across from Harry. 


“But…” Harry started


“No buts,” Ron said adamantly. “You’re my best friend.”


“I’m just a Freak,” Harry said, trying to plead with the red-headed group. 


“No, Harry,” Charlie said softly. He could see Harry was on the verge of panicking, and he didn’t want that to happen. So, the Dragon trainer decided to take a different approach. He maneuvered Harry’s chair so that they were facing each other. “Harry, I want you to listen to me. I’ve only known you for a few days. And from what I’ve seen, you are a very bright, caring boy. You’re an amazing Quidditch player. I don’t know who told you you were a freak, but they are wrong. It takes a special kind of person to be able to catch a rememberall on his first time flying. You’re a better Seeker than me.”


“And that’s saying a lot,” Ron chimed in. “Charlie’s the best.”


Harry looked at Ron and then back at Charlie.


Charlie reached into his pocket and pulled out a small object. 


“Oh, wow!” the twins said simultaneously, guessing what Charlie had in his hand.


“During,” Charlie continued, “my time at Hogwarts, Professor McGonagall set it up that I would play in a Quidditch tournament. I’m not sure if they still have them. But I played for the England Charters. Seeker, of course. Anyway, my team was able to make it to the Nationals. It was a big deal. My team won seven out of nine games. We ranked second place. This,” showing Harry the small Snitch in his hand, “I won for being the MVP Seeker.”


“Nobody could beat Charlie,” Ron said proudly. “He caught the Snitch every game. Only the other players were able to score more points and win the game.”


“I received this for being the best Seeker out of fifty other teams,” Charlie continued. “But, there is something special with you. You were able to beat me. And on my own turf. That’s a great accomplishment. So, I’m passing the torch, per se.” Charlie reached out and handed the Snitch to Harry.


“Wicked!”


“That’s awesome!”


“Way to go, Harry,” Ron praised. 


“What’s happening in here?” Molly asked, coming into the kitchen.


Charlie stood up, ruffling Harry’s hair before leaving the kitchen. He kissed his mum on the cheek before walking away.


Harry was in awe. He didn’t know what to say. He was given an important present. Harry gripped the small ball. It was smaller than a regular Snitch. The wings were out permanently. Harry slowly ran his finger over the ridges of the wings. 


“Hail to the Seeker king!” Fred and George chanted over and over. 


Harry couldn’t help but laugh. He really loved the Weasleys. The twins made him smile. Ron said he still wanted to be his friend. Harry hoped that was true. He really didn’t want to lose Ron as a friend.


Harry was brought out of his thoughts when he heard the floo going off. He couldn’t help the grin on his face. His safety had come back for him. He got up from the table and rushed out to the living room. 


His smile faltered when he saw that it was Bill stepping out of the fireplace. Where was his safety? He promised that he would come back. He really was-


Harry’s depressing thoughts stopped when the green flames flared again, and the tall man dressed in black stepped through the fireplace.


This time, a huge grin split Harry’s face as he ran into his safety’s arms.


Severus had to take a step back, recovering from the impact Harry made when he collided with him. At first, Severus was worried that something was wrong, but that feeling soon changed when he heard Harry mumbling in his robes. Severus looked over at Bill, who had a smirk on his face, realizing that he could hear what Harry was saying.


Severus leaned down to Harry’s ear and whispered, “Don’t I always keep my promises?”


It was hard for Severus to keep from smiling at the warm feeling of having Harry back in his arms. Knowing that Harry chose him. Despite his past or reputation, Harry wanted to be with him. 


“Professor Snape,” Molly greeted. 


“Mrs. Weasley,” Severus replied, acknowledging the matriarch of the family. “Thank you for keeping Harry.”


“The pleasure was all ours,” Molly said, then called to the small child. 


Harry turned to look at Mrs. Weasley. He saw that she had her arms open. Harry looked up at his safety and released him. The boy approached Mrs. Weasley slower than he did towards the Professor.


“I had a wonderful time, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said quietly. 


Molly pulled Harry into a hug, squeezing tightly. She whispered in his ear, “You are so loved, Harry. I’m happy you had fun, and I hope you will come back again.”


“I can come back?” Harry asked, looking up at the Weasley matriarch.


Molly, cupping Harry’s face, kissed his forehead. “Of course, you can. Anytime.”


Harry smiled at Mrs. Weasley and hugged her again before walking back towards Professor Snape so they could leave.


_0_0_0

Severus and Harry walked into Severus’ chambers. Harry was so happy to be back. He went to his room to change and get ready for dinner. 


After what happened earlier, Severus was glad to have his godson back with him. Just being with the child soothed his hurt from the past. 


Severus was sitting at the table when Harry returned. The child’s hair was damp from the child washing his face. Severus didn’t say anything. He’d approached the child after grabbing a towel and drying Harry’s hair.


“After spending so much time in the winter cold, I would think you would dry your hair properly so you wouldn’t catch cold.”


Harry didn’t reply. He loved being taken care of. It was something he didn’t have before. And he was going to grasp at as much care as he could. 


“Sit down,” Severus said, patting Harry’s bottom and steering him towards the table. “Time to eat.”


_0_0_0

The next morning, Harry was walking up the Grand Staircase. Professor Snape was in his lab, and Harry wanted to try to see Hedwig again. He wanted to see her on Christmas. With the promise of coming straight back before lunch, Harry made his way up to the owlery. 


Harry got to the second floor, where the corridor connected from the main tower to the tower that housed the owlery. Harry stood at the end of the corridor, remembering what happened the last time he was there. 


A quiet pop sounded next to Harry. When the child looked over, he saw Tami standing next to him. 


“Heya, Tami,” Harry greeted, smiling. 


“Master Harry, okay?” Tami asked. “Master Sev’us wanted Tami to make sure you got to the owls.” 


Harry couldn’t keep the smile off his face. His safety would always be there for him. The child nodded, and the two of them went to the owlery. 


Harry got to the owlery and saw Hedwig dozing on one of the perches. Harry thought about letting his owl sleep, but that thought didn’t work because, as if Hedwig could sense it, she woke up. 


Tami left while Harry stayed with Hedwig. Harry saw Tami leave but didn’t pay it much mind. He had so much he wanted to share with his secret keeper. 


“Look what I got, Hedwig,” Harry said, showing the owl the small golden Snitch he got from Charlie. “I had so much fun with Ron and the Twins. I got to meet Ron’s older brothers. They’re a lot of fun.” Harry continued to talk to Hedwig while absentmindedly rubbing his fingers over her feathers. 


“Why hello, young Harry.”


Harry turned to see the Headmaster standing in the doorway. 


“Hey, Professor,” Harry said, smiling. “I was talking to Hedwig. She listens to all my stories.”


“Yes,” Albus said, walking over to another owl and tying his missive on the owl’s leg. “I have to agree; owls make one of the best listeners.” 


Harry watched as Professor Dumbledore whispered to the owl and watched as the owl flew out of the owlery. Harry kept his eyes on the fleeting owl until he couldn’t see it anymore. 


“Well, young Harry,” Albus said, getting Harry’s attention. “Let’s not stay up here too long. It’s rather chilly up here, and you don’t have nearly enough clothes on.”


“Yes, sir,” Harry replied, giving Hedwig one more pet. 


“Don’t want Severus to worry,” Albus whispered, placing his hand on Harry’s shoulder, escorting the child out of the owlery. 


Albus and Harry were walking down the stairs when a missive popped in front of them. Albus reached for it, reading its contents. 


“Well, Harry,” Albus said. “I must leave you. Maybe one day you can come to visit me. We can have hot chocolate together. There are a few things I would like to show you.”


“Wicked,” Harry said. His first time having hot chocolate was while he was with the Weasleys. Knowing that he would have some more soon made Harry ecstatic. 


“Wonderful,” Albus said. “I must leave you.” Albus walked off down the corridor.


“Bye, Professor,” Harry called out as he watched Professor Dumbledore disappear down the corridor. 


Harry continued on his trek back down to the dungeons. If his safety was still in his lab, maybe Harry could help.


Harry fell when he got to the last few steps leading to the Great Hall. He landed hard on his hands and knees. His glasses fell off his face from the force of his impact. Harry reached for his glasses as he sat back on his heels. He looked at his hands and saw the scrapped skin. His knees hurt from the impact as well. 


Harry crawled the short distance to pull his pant legs up and look at his knees. The child winced when the fabric rubbed against the bruised skin. He wasn’t bleeding, but it did hurt. Harry put his pants back to right and looked back up the stairs. He was alone on the stairs, but it felt like someone had pushed him. What happened before made Harry want to hurry and get to his safety much quicker.


Harry stood up. His knees hurt as he tried to walk. His hands stung. He was heading to the last set of steps when he saw the main doors open. 


“You little Freak!”


Harry knew that voice. That voice wasn’t supposed to be here. Why was he here? 


Harry watched as his Uncle Vernon walked across the threshold. Harry was frozen in fear as he watched his uncle stomp towards him. His uncle had a leather strap gripped in his fat fist. A small squeak escaped Harry’s lips when he felt his uncle’s meaty hand grip the back of his neck and force him towards the door.


“No,” Harry squeaked softly. It may have been several months since he was face-to-face with his uncle. It didn’t mean that he forgot his rules.   


“Shut up, boy! How dare you defy me,” Vernon growled. “What makes you think you’re better?” He turned Harry to the side and brought the strap down harshly on the child’s back and bottom. 


Harry couldn’t hold back his shriek of pain. Reflexively, Harry tried to pull from his uncle’s grip. The small child got three more strikes from his struggle. Harry cried out because these ones were harder than the previous two he received just moments before. 


“How dare you, you freak,” Vernon growled. “Just wait until I get you back home.”


“No,” Harry whined as tears streamed down his cheeks. 


“Your closet is waiting for you,” Vernon growled. “You’ll stay in there for a week.”


When Vernon tried to hit Harry again, Harry broke free from his uncle’s grip and took off down the path away from the castle. 


“Get back here, you freak!” Vernon yelled. “No one will ever love you! You’re nothing but a waste of space.” He watched as the small child ran from the castle towards the forest.


A cloaked figure stepped out from the shadows, waving his wand, and said, “Riddikulus.” He stood at the entrance for a second before turning and heading back inside.


The tears flowed continuously as Harry ran from his uncle’s tirade. Harry ran and ran. Not caring where he was going. He just needed to get away from his uncle. The boy didn’t stop until it felt like his lungs would burst. He looked around and saw he had to be in the forest. He leaned against one of the trees, trying to catch his breath. 


Harry didn’t hear his uncle coming after him. He slid down on the ground, pulling his knees to his chest. Now that he could catch his breath, Harry realized it was beginning to snow, and he didn’t have the winter clothes Professor Snape had bought him. 


He really was a Freak, Harry thought as the tears continued to flow. He was a Freak. 


He tried to conserve his heat by bringing his arms in his sleeves to wrap them around his body. Something he learned while he was growing up. One of his many punishments was being locked outside when it was cold. At least he had a jumper on instead of one of Dudley’s old clothes. He pulled his collar up so it covered the bottom of his head. 


_0_0_0

Severus walked out of his lab. It was getting close to lunchtime. When he left Harry, the child asked if he could visit Hedwig. Severus was wary about the child leaving, but he didn’t want Harry to feel that he was stuck in his chambers. So the Potions Master granted the child permission with the understanding that he’d be back by lunchtime. 


Giving his promise, Harry gave him a hug and rushed towards the door. Severus stopped Harry before he left, stating that he could come into the lab to help if he wanted. Harry smiled and nodded before leaving Severus’ chambers. 


“Harry,” Severus called out, walking to Harry’s room. When he saw it was empty, he called out, “Tami.”


Tami popped in front of the Potions Master. “Yes, Master Sev’us.”


“Did Harry make it to the owlery alright?” Severus asked.


“Yes, Master Sev’us,” Tami said, smiling. “I walked with Master Harry. Tami had to leave, but Master Headmaster came after me.”


Harry must be with the old coot, Severus thought. 


“Thank you, Tami.” Severus walked out of his chambers. He headed up to his adoptive dad’s office.


Severus made it to the seventh floor when he saw Minerva walking towards him.


“Well, Severus,” Minerva said, smirking. “I wouldn’t have expected to see you alone. I would have thought you would have Harry trailing behind you.”


“I do not have time for your quips, you old cat,” Severus snarled. “I’m heading to Albus. I’m sure he’s filled Harry with a lot of sweets.”


Minerva’s brow furrowed. All jovialness left the Transfiguration professor. “Severus, Albus isn’t here. He went to see Amelia Bones.”


The bottom dropped out of Severus’ stomach. Not wanting to overreact, Severus left Minerva standing in the corridor and headed towards the owlery. He was so focused on finding his godson he didn’t notice that Minerva was following him.


When the two Professors reached the owlery, they realized quickly that Harry was not there. They saw Hedwig, Harry’s owl, sleeping on one of the perches. Anger boiled in Severus’ gut. Where was his godson? 


“Tami!” Severus roared. 


Tami popped in front of Severus and Minerva. “Yes, Master Sev’us.”


“Find Harry,” Severus growled.


Severus’ voice woke up the snowy owl. When the owl heard the command, she flew out of the owlery as if she understood the tension. 


+0+0+0

Hagrid was outside gathering a batch of dead ferrets so he could feed his two hippogriffs, Bradford and Buckbeak. Fang was lying on the top step of the half-giant’s cabin. 


Hedwig’s cry sounded above the cabin, rousing Fang. With a booming bark, the dog looked up, ran off the steps, and rushed into the Forbidden Forest.     

  

_0_0_0

It was colder than Harry remembered. He didn’t know how long he’d been sitting at the tree's base. He was getting tired, and his head was beginning to hurt. He didn’t know how long Uncle Vernon would leave him outside. Harry hoped it would be soon. Even though he hated his cupboard, it was warm. 


Rustling alerted the small child. Harry tried to stand. He was stiff; he couldn’t feel his fingertips despite keeping them close to his body. Not having proper blood flow in his legs, Harry fell back on the ground, hurting his knees again; when he tried to take a step, his hands were trapped within his sweater. Harry couldn’t catch himself and hit the side of his face on the ground, knocking his glasses off of his face. Tears stung the back of his eyes as he put his arms back through the sleeves. His body racked with shivers when his arms slid through the cold fabric. He was such a Freak. As the rustling got louder, Harry resigned himself to whatever would happen. 


The next thing Harry felt was a warm, wet tongue slide up the side of his head. Harry looked up and saw Fang standing next to him. A broken cry escaped the small child’s mouth when he felt Fang's warm breath on his face.


Fang moved his head in order to help Harry maneuver, but Harry was too stiff and cold to move. Heaving a big sigh, the Nepoleon Mastiff pushed Harry away from the tree and sat behind the small child. Fang then curled around Harry so the dog’s head and paws were over the small boy’s lap.


The warmth from Fang’s fur and body heat was a much-needed comfort for Harry. Feeling warmth for the first time brought tears to Harry’s eyes. Harry buried his face in Fang’s fur and started to weep.


+0+0+0

“Fang!” Hagrid called out when he saw his dog rush into the forest. 


The ferrets forgotten, Hagrid rushed into his cabin, grabbing his crossbow. He ran out of his cabin and headed towards the forest. 


“Fang, get back here,” Hagrid ordered as he ran after his dog. This was not like his dog. Fang was usually a rather lazy dog. There weren’t many, if any, things that roused the dog. So it was very strange for Fang to run off like that.


As Hagrid ran past trees and brush, he heard an owl squawk. When he looked up, he saw Hedwig, the gift he gave Harry, flying low amongst the trees. 


Fang acting strangely. 


Hedwig flying around. 


Hagrid’s heart dropped. It could only mean one thing: Harry.


Hagrid realized the reason behind Fang’s behavior was Harry. The half-giant took off in a run, following the trail Hedwig was traveling. It didn’t take long after to reach his destination. The half-giant saw Fang curled against a tree. Hagrid lowered his crossbow, laying it against the tree. He took off his coat, wrapping it around the small boy. The woolen coat seemed to swallow the child. Hanging his crossbow over his shoulder, Hagrid picked up his small bundle. And just like it was ten years ago, Hagrid carried Harry out of danger. Fang followed. 


_0_0_0       

Albus stepped out of the fireplace at the MLE office, heading towards Amelia Bones’ office. With everything that has come to light since the last time he met with the head of the MLE, Albus knew he would have to update her.


Albus hated having to disrupt her Christmas, but with everything he had to tell her, this couldn’t wait. 


Amelia was standing in her office doorway when Albus approached her. “I didn’t expect to hear from you again so soon,” Amelia said when she allowed Albus entry to her office. 


Amelia sat down behind her desk and knew from the look she was receiving from Albus that what she was about to hear would not be good news. 


“Your message said it was urgent,” Amelia prompted. 


“Yes, my dear,” Albus said. “Very important.”


Albus began to regale Amelia with everything that had come to light since he removed Sirius Black from Azkaban.


“This is not good,” Amelia said once Albus finished talking.


“I wanted to let you know,” Albus said. “I’m not sure what can be done. My next stop will be Cornelius.”


“Telling the Minister will be problematic,” Amelia said. “You took Sirius out of Azkaban without his knowledge.”


A serine smile came across Albus’ face. “Don’t worry yourself about him. I’ll take care of it. I need you to start the preceding for a trial for Sirius Black. This is going to upend a lot of people. And if Cornelius wants to be on the right side, he won’t be a problem.” Albus stood and headed towards the door. 


“Oh, also, before I forget,” Alubs continued. “Please start an investigation on Gringotts.”


“Gringotts?”


“Exactly,” Albus said firmly. “A lot of this could have been avoided if they’d done what was supposed to have been done. They have a lot to answer for.”


Albus stepped out of Amelia’s office when another missive appeared before him. As he read the note, Albus’ usual twinkle left his eyes as the color drained from his cheeks. Instead of leaving by floo, Albus apparated from the building. 


_0_0_0

Tami popped in front of Severus and Minerva, pulling on her ears. “I’m sorry, Master Sev’us,” she cried.


“Where’s Harry?” Severus growled. 


“Severus, calm down,” Minerva pleaded. 


“Master Harry’s not in the castle,” Tami cried.


Minerva felt the temperature drop around them. She knew how powerful Severus was. She needed to calm the young Professor, so she turned to face Severus. She cupped Severus’ face in her hand, trying to get the Potions Master’s attention, calling his name. The man stared blankly as if he was seeing right through her. Minerva had only seen Severus like this only one time before. She hoped the missive she sent to Albus would reach him soon.   


A rush of blood seemed to roar in Severus’ ears. He couldn’t hear anything else. He could see Minerva standing before him, talking, but no sound was coming from her mouth. 


Harry was missing. How could this happen? With everything that’s happened in the past two days, Severus forgot about the possible threat to his godson. How could he have Harry unprotected? He promised the child that he would keep him safe. He will find his godson and get to the bottom of this. 


He felt himself jerking back and forth and realized that Minerva was standing before him, slightly shaking him. The muffled sounds began to clear, and once again, Severus could hear Minerva calling his name. 


“Come back, Severus,” Minerva cooed. “We’ll find Harry. I’m sure he’s around here somewhere.”


Severus blinked a few times as if he was clearing the cobwebs in his brain.  A thought popped into Severus’ mind in the litany of things Minerva kept saying repeatedly. Hagrid. 


“Hagrid,” Severus said, backing away from Minerva. 


Severus and Minerva headed for the main entrance. Before they could open the door, Albus popped in front of them. 


“What happened?” Albus asked.


“Harry’s missing,” Severus answered as he passed his dad. 


Albus was about to ask how it happened when they saw Hagrid running full force towards the castle. Fang was keeping pace beside him. 


“Professor Dumbledore, Professor Snape, it’s Harry,” Hagrid cried out. 


Severus could see Hagrid cradling something. The closer Hagrid came, the more Seveurs could make out it was Hagrid’s coat. When he heard the half-giant say Harry’s name, Severus ran toward the half-giant.


When Severus reached Hagrid, he reached out to take his godson. “What happened?”


“I found him in the forest,” Hagrid said, placing the small child in Severus’ arms. 


It was cumbersome since Harry was wrapped in Hagrid’s coat, but Severus didn’t want to expose Harry back into the freezing air.

To be continued...
Chapter 25: Oh, So Cold! by mandancie
Author's Notes:

In honor of Severus Snape's birthday!

“Severus,” Albus said when standing beside Severus and Hagrid. “We need to get Harry to the Infirmary.”


“That will be a no,” Severus sneered. With the small bundle in his arms, Severus went to the stairs that led to the dungeons. “Get Poppy and floo to my chambers.”


So focused on getting to his chambers so he could get a good look at his godson, he didn’t realize that he had more company than he thought. He figured Albus and Minerva would follow him, and for once, he didn’t mind them coming. But it was the dog that surprised him.


+0+0+0

When Poppy stepped out of the floo, she was shocked at what she saw. Severus was sitting on the edge of the sofa. Harry was lying on the sofa, still wrapped in Hagrid’s woolen coat. Her biggest shock was that Hagrid’s dog Fang was lying on the floor by Severus’ feet. 


Poppy gave Severus a questioning look.


“The behemoth won’t leave,” Severus growled. 


“Let me get over there,” Poppy said, walking over to the sofa. 


Severus stood up, and after giving Harry another look, he walked over to his chair and sat down. 


Albus approached his adopted son and put his hand on Severus’ shoulder. “Harry will be alright,” Albus soothed. 


“What was he doing out there?” Severus quietly growled. “No coat. No hat.”


“That’s something we can ask when young Harry wakes up,” Albus soothed. “Right now, let’s find out how he is.”


Severus sat and watched as Poppy ran a diagnostic over his godson. Shaking his head, the same thought of Harry giving him grey hair before the end of term seemed to become a reality. 


“Severus,” Poppy said urgently. “Come here.”


Bringing Severus out of his musing, the Potions Master rushed the small distance towards Harry. 


“What is it?” Severus asked. 


“There’s something blocking my diagnosis charm,” Poppy said. “I can’t get a reading on what’s going on.”


Severus and Albus looked at each other in alarm. 


“Son,” Albus said, standing next to Severus, “see if you can detect another magical signature.”


Poppy tried to move so she could give Severus room. But she tripped on Fang’s massive paw. Both Severus and Albus caught the medi-witch. 


“Blasted dog,” Severus growled at the dog. “Why are you still here? Get out of the way.”


Fang lifted his head to look at the small child on the sofa before laying his head back on his paws and giving a big, deep sigh.


Severus shook his head in annoyance. He maneuvered his feet so he didn’t have his ankles at a weird angle. Severus sat beside Harry and waved his hand down his godson’s body. 


Severus remembered how the mysterious magical signature was while he was trying to control Harry’s broom during the first Quidditch match. There were small amounts of the same signature on the bludger and Mr. Longbottom. Then, his attention went back to the dog lying next to him. His heart dropped as anger boiled in him. They were all the same. All of them were the same. And now, feeling a very strong signature, Severus could now place who’s been trying to hurt Harry. 


Albus could see the rage on Severus’ face. “Severus, what did you see?”


“I know who’s doing this,” Severus growled. “I told you to handle this. You didn’t.” Severus stood up and went to the door. “Now, it’s my turn.”


_0_0_0   

Quirrell walked around his office, gathering a few things. He was in search of a special item. A contact messaged him, informing him they had heard about the precious stone, which had last been heard in France. Now that things were taken care of here and there was another week before the children returned, he should be able to make the trip. 


Once he gathered the last of the supplies he would need on his trek, Quirinus packed for a couple of days, shrinking his belongings, and left his chambers. 


Quirrell walked down the corridor from his chambers when he was forced back against the wall. Dazed from the abrupt movement, it took a moment for Quirrell’s vision to clear. When it did, he found he was face-to-face with an irate Potions Master. 


“S-severus,” Quirrell stuttered. “W-what’s g-going on?”


“You think I don’t know what you’ve been doing,” Severus growled. “I know it was you.”


“W-what ever do you m-m-mean?” Quirrell squeaked. “I’ve done nothing.”


Severus gripped Quirinus’ lapels and brought the man close to where they were nose-to-nose. “Don’t lie to me,” Severus said through clenched teeth. “Every time something happens, it always comes back to you.”


“Let’s not do this now.”


Quirrell looked over to the other voice in the corridor. 


Severus kept his gaze on Quirrell. He didn’t care if Albus was there or not. Severus would keep his promise to his godson, and if it meant dealing with this sorry excuse of a wizard, then so be it. 


“Severus,” Albus said, standing next to his son, “violence isn’t going to change anything.” He put his hand on Severus’ shoulder. “Let him go.”


Severus’ only response was quirking his eyebrow. Now that he had this vermin in his grasp, he would not let him slip through his fingers. 


Severus slammed Quirrell back against the wall. He felt Albus’ grip tighten on his shoulder. Deep down, he didn’t care. Quirrell cursed Harry. He was the reason Harry almost fell off his broom. He was the one who cursed the bludger almost to crack Harry’s skull. 


Severus could see the fear in the man’s eyes, the slight tremor coursing through the man’s body. Severus couldn’t help the morbid satisfaction of his power over Quirrell. But for what he wanted to do, he couldn’t have witnesses. There would be another time.


“We will have another talk,” Severus crooned, “on where your loyalty lies.” Severus let go of Quirrell’s clothes. “And next time, Albus won’t be able to save you or stop me.”


Severus took a step back, glaring at the Defense Professor.


Not wanting to be close to Severus, Quirinus slid across the wall to escape, his eyes going from the Headmaster to Severus. He couldn’t help the chill that coursed through his veins from the look Severus was giving him. 


Albus and Severus watched as Quirinus all but ran down the corridor, trying to get as far away from Severus as fast as he could.


“Not so fast, Quirinus,” Albus called out, stepping away from Severus. 


“I-I must g-go, Headmaster,” Quirrell said. 


“It will only be a moment,” Albus insisted. “Walk with me.”


Quirrell stood in that one spot for a moment. He was aware in order for him to get to the Headmaster’s office, he would have to pass Severus. 


Albus went to his adopted son and whispered in his ear, “I will deal with this. Go to Harry.”


Severus looked at Albus, turned, and headed back towards his chambers. As much as he wanted to deal with Quirrell, he knew he had to be with Harry. 


~~~_)

Albus and Minerva watched as Severus escorted Harry towards the Infirmary. The Headmaster and Headmistress looked at each other silently before Albus spoke again.


“Once you take care of this mess, Quirinus, I’ll see you in my chambers.”


“Y–yes, Headmaster,” Quirrell said. 


+0+0+0

Albus and Minerva were sitting by Albus’ desk, drinking tea, when Quirrell came in. 


“Ah, my boy,” Albus said, holding out his hand and offering the chair next to Minerva. “Have a seat. Care for some tea?”


“No, thank you, Headmaster,” Quirrell said, sitting down.


“Well,” Minerva started, “a very interesting night, wouldn’t you say?”


“Yes,” Quirrell responded. “What is it that you…”


“Quirinus,” Albus cut off Quirrell’s question. “What were you doing when the troll came into the school? Trolls usually don’t come around stone buildings unless something lures them.”


“I was—”


“Obviously,” Albus continued, “with the exclusion of Harry, everyone besides you was in the Great Hall, enjoying the Halloween festivities.”


This time, Quirrell didn’t speak.


“One would assume you lured the troll into the castle to harm the students.”


“But as you stated,” Quirinus spoke. “I was not the only one who wasn’t in the Great Hall.”


“Dear me,” Minerva spoke up. “You cannot be serious in believing that Mr. Potter lured in a troll?”


“That would be impossible,” Albus said. “The portraits stated that Harry was sitting on a windowsill looking at the stars. While we were waiting for you to arrive, the knight Percival informed me that he and Harry talked, and young Harry confided in him that he didn’t want to celebrate knowing his parents died on this day.” Albus placed his teacup on his desk and sat back in his chair. “I don’t want to believe that a professor of mine would knowingly and willingly cause harm to my students and staff.”


“Of course not, Headmaster,” Quirrell said.


“Very well,” Albus said. “Good night, Quirinus.”


Quirrell stood and left the Headmaster’s office.


_0_0_0

“You wanted to see me, Headmaster?” Quirrell asked when he stepped into the Headmaster’s chambers.


“Yes, my boy,” Albus said, holding out his hand and offering Quirinus a seat across from his desk. “Some things have come to light. I would like you to clear a few things up for me.”


“If I can, Headmaster.”


“You sent word to me of a detention involving Mr. Potter,” Albus stated as he went through the many parchment scrolls on his desk. When he found the one he was looking for, he sat back in his chair, holding the scroll in his hands. “I noticed belatedly that it didn’t state the manner of detention.”


“Do forgive me, Headmaster,” Quirinus said. “It must have been an oversight.”


Albus tilted his head, quirking his eyebrow. “So, your intentions were to willingly send a student into the Forbidden Forest, knowing of the dangers.”


“You must understand,” Quirinus started but was cut off.


“It looks to me like you purposefully kept the manner of your detention off this scroll,” waving said scroll in his hand, “because you knew I would override this detention.”


“Absolutely not, Headmaster,” Quirinus adamantly denied. 


“I hope it was an oversight,” Albus said. “I would hate to learn it was intentional. This will be the second time you put my students in danger. Don’t let it happen again.”


Quirrell nodded and stood to leave. Before he could reach the door, Albus spoke, “Don’t make me regret keeping you on.”

~~~_)

       

_0_0_0  

Albus allowed Quirinus entry into his chambers, following behind him. 


“Please sit,” Albus offered as he sat behind his desk.


Quirinus sat in the offered chair. “Headmaster, I have to leave. There is someone I am meeting.”


“I understand,” Albus said. “And this will not take long.” Albus waved his hand, making a tea service appear on his desk. “Please,” Albus offered. 


“Headmaster,” Quirinus said as he made his tea. “Something must be done about Severus.”


Albus didn’t reply; he just watched Quirrell over his teacup.


“He’s becoming much too violent,” Quirrell quipped. “Maybe he’s what they said he was during his trial.”


Albus said nothing. 


“Maybe his time as a Death Eater has corrupted the man,” Quirrell continued.


Albus sat his teacup down and let the Defense professor continue. The Headmaster almost wanted to laugh at how bold Quirrell was being now that Severus wasn’t near him. He definitely did not show this brazen behavior when he was standing in front of his son. 


“I worry about how he will be with the children,” Quirrell said. “The children already don’t like him. Bat of the Dungeons, indeed. I believe he should be relieved of his duties.”


Albus kept his son from physically harming this man. But it was becoming increasingly more difficult for Albus to refrain. 


“I would question the children’s safety after that display,” Quirrell continued. 


“I wouldn’t be so quick to judge,” Albus said, looking over his half-moon glasses. 


“What do you mean?” Quirrell asked. “I’m fantastic with the children. The students have fun in my class.”


Albus took a moment before he responded. It wasn’t that he needed to gather his thoughts. It was to make the wizard believe that his point was getting across. 


“So, the students are safe with you,” Albus clarified. 


“Of course.”


“I see,” Albus said, nodding. “Is it for the ‘safety of the  students’ when you send a student to the Forbidden Forest for detention?”


“Hagrid told me he needed help searching for Unicorn foals,” Quirrell answered quickly. “During one of my nightly strolls, I saw Hagrid coming out of the forest.”


“And you stand by the decision that sending a child to the Forbidden Forest was a sanctioned punishment?” Albus asked. But he continued before Quirrell could reply. “Something you neglected to tell me when the detention was given. By the way, what could young Harry have done to warrant such a dangerous detention? Surely, it wasn’t your intention for the child to be harmed?”


“Of course not,” Quirrell denied. “He performed a dark curse in my classroom. I felt the punishment fit the crime. Mr. Potter should learn that there are consequences to one's actions.” 


“Oh,” Albus said, nodding. “I believe Harry already understands that in more ways than you realize. Back to Professor Snape, you said he’s dangerous to be around the students. I will disagree with you. Sending a child into a place I said was forbidden at the beginning of the school term is far more dangerous than a teacher who is strict with his students.”


“What are you saying?” Quirinus asked.


“I believe you said it best,” Albus said. “One should learn the consequences of one’s actions.”


“I’m not understanding,” Quirrell said.


“I believe I’m making myself quite clear,” Albus said. “I’ve given you a chance after chance. Things are not adding up with you. You are the one who is a danger to my students. A troll coming into the school. As everyone else was in the Great Hall, you were the only one who could have seen that.”


“But I explained…”


“Giving Harry unsanctioned punishments,” Albus continued, “I’m assuming to harm the child.”


Quirrell didn’t reply to that.


“Finally,” Albus said, his tone cold. “Your magical signature of several items and persons to which harm was caused.”


Quirrell audibly gulped. He could feel the room becoming colder.


“You sought out to harm my students. Harry and Neville in particular.”  


Quirrell was dumbfounded by what he was hearing. This was not what he was expecting. 


“I suggest you leave this castle,” Albus continued, “before you end up like the troll.”


“But Headmaster—”


“I’m sorry,” Albus said, standing up. 


Quirrell stood so fast he knocked the chair over. 


“You must be under the impression that my statement warranted a discussion. You will leave this school.” 


Albus raised his hand, snapping his fingers. Quirrell was expelled from the castle and landed with all his belongings at the apparition point behind the castle grounds.


The Headmaster sighed as he sat back down behind his desk. Taking a deep breath, he tried to calm his nerves. It had been a long time since he had ever been that angry. Looking through the many scrolls, he searched for the one he pinned out after the troll incident. He hoped it wouldn’t have come to this, but he needed to send it out now that it had. 


Albus left his chambers. He wanted to get back to his son and learn how young Harry was doing. But he knew he would need to calm down before he arrived, so the walk to the owlery should help.


_0_0_0

Severus stepped into his chambers and saw Poppy had redecorated, not that he minded. She transfigured the sofa into a bed with Harry lying on it. He noticed that Harry was still wrapped in Hagrid’s wooly coat. Fang was still there, lying on the floor next to the cot. 


Severus walked over to Poppy’s side. “How’s he doing?” he asked.


“His temperature is very low,” Poppy said. “Hagrid’s coat is actually warmer than the room, so I’m keeping him wrapped in it.”


Hearing that, Severus turned to the flames in the fireplace and cast Incendio to make the flames grow hotter. He would turn his chambers into a sauna if it meant caring for Harry. 


“Severus,” Poppy pleaded. “Harry needs to be in the Infirmary. I can easily regulate his temperature there. Having it hot in here will not change it. He needs to warm up not just on the outside but also on the inside. I cannot do that here.” 


“Harry will not step one foot in that Infirmary while Black is here,” Severus adamantly said. “Change my chambers. Do whatever it is you need, but Harry stays here.”


“Severus,” Poppy pleaded.


“Get what you need,” Severus said, sitting on the side of the bed and looking at his godson.


Poppy sighed and left Severus’ chambers, rushing to the Infirmary. Trying to take the floo would’ve been too dangerous since Severus made the fire burn hotter. 


Severus looked at the small child. He seemed so much smaller, being wrapped in Hagrid’s coat. He caressed the child’s cheek. The chilled skin brought tears to his eyes. Severus couldn’t fathom what would make Harry run out of the castle.


Severus noticed that Harry was stripped down to his underwear. He figured Poppy wanted as much of his skin to be around warmth. 


Poppy returned a few minutes later with many things floating behind her. There were thick flannel pajamas and a woolen cap, but one item that caught Severus’ attention was a simmering pot of water with a saline bag in it. He looked to the matron in question.


“It’s warm saline,” Poppy answered the Potions Masters’ silenced question. “Harry needs to be warmed from the inside as well as the outside. I’m going to need your help as I put in an IV.”


Poppy and Severus worked in silence. They removed Hagrid’s coat. It didn’t take long to get Harry dressed in the pajamas. The cap had a heating charm to dry his hair and warm his scalp. Harry was also provided thick socks and gloves with the same charm. 


Poppy put the IV in Harry’s arm, giving the tube enough length so Harry’s sleeve could stay down. She didn’t want Harry to have too much of his skin exposed.


Once they were finished, Poppy said, “I’ll be back in a bit. I messaged St. Mungo’s for more saline. It should be ready for me to pick up. Once I get it, I’ll be back down.”


Severus nodded in response but never took his eyes off of his godson. He didn’t even register that Poppy left his chambers. He moved a few strands of hair that covered Harry’s eyes. Because of the cap's weight, it matted Harry’s hair to his face. It reached down to the child’s ears.


The Potions Master couldn’t stand it. He felt he was too far from his godson. He remembered when his spider monkey would attach himself to him. He always thought that it was an inconvenience. Right now, he needed to feel the small child in his arms. He needed to feel the rise and fall of Harry’s chest. 


Severus transfigured his wingback chair into more of a recliner. It would go back so that it raised his feet a little, but he wasn’t lying down straight. Not wanting Harry to feel any cold that could seep through the flannel pajamas, Severus removed his outer coat so he was only in his white shirt. He knew it would be warmer because of his body heat. Severus carefully picked up his godson, cradling the child to his chest, mindful of the child’s IV. Once he was settled in his chair, Severus accio’ed Hagrid’s coat and draped it over himself and Harry. 


Harry may have been unconscious the entire time, but it didn’t stop his body from snuggling into his Godfather once he was lying on his chest. 


_0_0_0

It was so cold. When will Uncle Vernon let me inside? He did all of his chores. Maybe he let the vegetables cook a little longer than normal, but he didn’t think it was that big of a deal. They ate it. And didn’t leave me any. Harry looked up at the sky. He watched as fat snowflakes fell around him. He blew on his hands, hoping that would help warm his fingers. 


Harry turned and saw that the light was still on inside the house. His heart dropped when the light went off. Oh, no. That meant that his relatives were going to bed. 


Harry stood up but quickly fell back to the ground. His legs felt like weights pulling him back to the earth. He crawled on his hands and knees so he could reach the door. 


When Harry reached the door, he started banging on the glass pane. “Uncle Vernon! Uncle Vernon, please.” Over and over, Harry cried out, banging as hard as he could. He only stopped when he saw the lights come back on. Harry fell back on his bottom when the back door swung open, revealing a very angry Vernon. Harry saw he was holding a strap in his hand. 


Harry tried to get up and run away, but his movements were sluggish at best because he was so cold. He felt his uncle grab his arm tightly. He saw the swinging of the strap and knew the pain was going to be bad. He was already freezing, so anything would hurt ten times worse. The first hit was so painful it knocked all the air from his lungs. He gave a silent scream. Harry didn’t hold back on screaming at the top of his lungs when the next strike came. He didn’t care who heard it. At that point, he’d hoped the whole world heard it. His hot tears seemed to burn his cheek as they flowed. 


THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP!


The new sound that drummed in Harry’s ears seemed to ease the strikes.


THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP!


The grip his uncle had on his arm, though tight, didn’t seem to hurt as much as before.


THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP!


A new feeling began to come over Harry. He wasn’t feeling as cold as he was before. Even where he was, he was starting to feel safe. 


THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP! THUMP-THUMP!


“Easy, Harry, easy. It’s alright. I’m right here. You’re alright.” 


Tears burned Harry’s throat. He knew that voice. It was his safety. Everything around him seemed to melt away. He was no longer at his relatives’ house. He wasn’t as cold. He felt something heavy on his back. He didn’t know what, but it didn’t scare him.


_0_0_0

Severus didn’t realize he had fallen asleep until he felt a slight movement on his chest. When he opened his eyes, he noticed Fang standing before them, his muzzle softly digging into Harry’s back. 


“Back off, dog,” Severus ordered quietly. He didn’t want to disturb Harry. Harry needed his rest so he could heal. 


Fang ignored the order, not that Severus was surprised. The dog was still in his chambers. Severus was about to reprimand the dog again when he heard slight whimpering coming from his godson. 


“Easy, Harry, easy,” Severus crooned, rubbing Harry’s back. “It’s alright. I’m right here. You’re alright.”


Severus said that over and over until he felt Harry calm down. “That’s it. You’re safe,” he continued to soothe his godson. 


Harry began to squirm in Severus’ hold, rubbing his face in his Professor’s chest. It was the smell that made his throat burn. It was the heartbeat that made the tears swell. And it was his safety’s voice that made the tears overflow. He wasn’t at his relative’s. He was with his safety. His safety would take care of it. He would make everything better. 

TBC

 

To be continued...
Chapter 26: A Change is Coming by mandancie

Albus walked into Severus’ chambers and was met with Severus leaning back in his chair, Harry lying on top of him with a saline bag hovering over him, and Fang lying on the floor with Severus' feet crossed at the ankles, resting on his back—Hagrid’s coat covering the two where only their heads could be seen. 


“Severus,” Albus whispered so as not to disturb Harry, walking over to his adopted son.


“What is it, Albus?” Severus replied. “If you come to harp on me because I had that bastard against the wall, save your breath. I’m not sorry for what I did, and if you hadn’t stopped me, I would have done more.”


Transfiguring the cot back into the sofa, “I cannot allow you to physically attack someone,” Albus reprimanded, sitting down. 


“He’s been after Harry,” Severus seethed, looking at his adopted father. “The Quidditch match, the Gryffindor’s practice. This behemoth here.”


“What happened with Fang?” Albus asked.


“I told you before there was another attack on Harry. That’s why I allowed him to go to the Weasleys. Fang took the brunt of the hex. At first, I thought the dog was attacking Harry. Turns out he was protecting the boy.” After a moment, Severus continued, “I believe he framed Harry to get that detention. And Longbottom was just the way to do it.”


“Severus,” Albus said.


“I told you after that detention, Quirrell needed to go,” Severus continued in a rage. The only thing keeping Severus in one spot was the fact that Harry was lying on his chest. 


“And I told you I needed something more concrete before any actions could be taken,” Albus replied.


“Well, here’s your concrete evidence,” Severus snarled. “I told you I didn’t want Harry to be a pawn, and you made him one anyway. And now Harry’s paying the price.”


“Severus, that’s not what happened.”


“Isn’t it?” Severus quipped. “He’s attacked Harry. Something made the child run out of the castle. He’s done something to the child. And I won’t know the extent of it until Harry wakes up. If he even does.”


“I will not have you talking like that,” Albus said. “Harry will be fine. He has you. And you have me. We will get through this.” 


_0_0_0

Minerva walked into the Infirmary. She saw Poppy moving around in her office. Minerva could see Sirius lying still on the furthest cot. She walked over to the man. It hurt her heart with everything Sirius went through. Ten years in Azkaban for something he didn’t do.


Poppy walked out of her office and saw Minerva. She walked over to her friend. 


“How’s he doing?” Minerva asked. 


“Resting,” Poppy said. “He’s just exhausted. Severus’ Legilimens took a lot out of the man. With how weak he was from being in Azkaban, this just took its toll.”


“Yeah,” Minerva agreed. She turned to look at Poppy. “What about Harry?”


“St. Mungo’s will be sending me more warm saline.” When Poppy saw the confused look on her friend’s face, she continued. “Harry’s temperature is dangerously low. He needs to be warmed from the inside as well as the outside.”


Poppy waved her wand as a translucent saline bag appeared before the witches. “I want to get more saline before this finishes,” Poppy explains. “I don’t want to have a moment where Harry isn’t receiving the warmth he needs.” 


Before Minerva could respond, a missive popped in front of the two witches. Poppy read the small piece of parchment.


“Forgive me, Minerva,” Poppy said, rushing towards her office. “I must go to St. Mungo’s.”


“Is everything alright?”


“Nothing too serious, I hope,” Poppy said as she disappeared from her floo. 


Minerva looked at the sleeping form on the bed before she turned and headed out of the Infirmary. There was another Gryffindor she needed to check on.


_0_0_0

Ron was desperately searching his room. Pulling the sheets off his bed. Tossing his shoes out of his closet. He was now on his trunk when the twins found him. 


“What are you doing?”


Ron looked up and saw Fred and George standing in the doorway. He paid them no mind and continued on with his search. “Leave me alone,” he mumbled. 


“Come on,” George said, walking into the room and stepping over the various articles on the floor. “Mum’s called for breakfast.”


“I can’t,” Ron said, sighing, getting up from the floor and heading towards the bureau drawers. 


“What are you looking for?” Fred asked. 


“Scabbers is missing,” Ron sighed. 


“Well, obviously, he’s not in here,” George said, walking over to his brother. “Let’s go eat. Maybe he’s downstairs.”


“I would be if you were tearing up the room like this,” Fred said. 


“It’s not funny,” Ron whined. “He’s been missing for two days. The last time I had him was when Harry came over.”


Fred and George looked at each other. Weird. 


“Come have breakfast,” Fred said, urging Ron towards the door. “We’ll ask if the others have seen Scabbers.”


“Yeah,” George continued, following his two brothers out of Ron’s room. “Maybe they’ve seen the rat.” 


Ron sighed, shoulders sagging as he allowed his twin brothers to leave his room. Where could Scabbers be?


+0+0+0

“I’m sure Scabbers is around here somewhere,” Molly said, kissing Ron on the top of his head. “You’ll find him.”


“It’s just not like Scabbers,” Ron whined before taking another bite of his food. 


“Scabbers?” Charlie said. “That rat’s still around? I thought it would be dead by now.”


“Don’t say that about Scabbers,” Ron raged, shoving his brother.


“Whoa!” Arthur exclaimed


“Ronald!” Molly chided.


“Not that serious,” the twins said at the same time. 


Arthur and Molly never condoned fighting of any kind amongst their children. There were so many problems and hatred around the wizarding world. They didn’t want any kind of divide between their children. They were a family. There was strength within the family, and though they were not basking in wealth financially, it didn’t mean they were not wealthy in love.


“It’s okay,” Charlie soothed, raising his hand to calm his parents. He then turned to his baby brother. “Hey, Ron. I didn’t mean to upset you. Rats usually don’t live this long.”  


“He’s never been missing this long,” Ron said as tears filled his eyes. 


“I tell you what,” Charlie said, wrapping his arm around Ron’s shoulder and pulling him to his side. “After breakfast, I’ll help you find Scabbers.”


“Thanks,” Ron said, wiping his eyes. 


“But I want you to prepare yourself,” Charlie cautioned. “He may have left you so he could pass on in peace.”


Ron nodded. He didn’t want to think that his rat was gone. He didn’t think much about his rat when he first got him. But Scabbers was cool to have around. And the rat was his.


_0_0_0

Minerva walked into Severus’ chambers, and she first noticed how warm it was. She placed a small cooling charm on herself and walked over to Albus sitting on the sofa. 


Severus was bundled under Hagrid’s coat. She smirked at the sight. Besides the crackling of the fire, the only noise came from Fang's snores, who was lying on the floor in front of the Potions Master. Harry’s small head peeked out from the coat under Severus’s chin. Both of them were asleep. 


“Ah, my dear,” Albus greeted, offering Minerva the seat next to him.


“How are they doing?” Minerva whispered, sitting next to Albus.


“Harry moaned a little but hasn’t woken up,” Albus answered.


“What about Severus?” Minerva questioned, worry in her voice. 


“Wondering why you two are still here,” Severus drawled, opening his eyes and looking at the two old geezers, who lived to aggravate him, sitting on his sofa. “Don’t you two have something better to do?”


“Come now, Severus,” Minerva said. “Nothing is more important than ensuring you and Harry are alright.”


“I’m fine,” Severus growled. 


“Oh, Severus,” Minerva cooed, getting up and walking over to the pair in the chair. “Harry isn’t the only one that’s had something happen to him.” She put her hand on top of Harry’s cap-covered head and stroked it. “You’ve just confirmed the innocence of someone who’s bullied you during your time here.”


Severus looked up at Minerva, shocked and silent. He didn’t know how to receive Minerva’s revelation. 


“I’m so sorry we didn’t see it before,” Minerva apologized. 


“Enough, both of you,” Severus snarled through clenched teeth. “I’m fine. I do not need to be coddled.” He did not want to deal with this. Severus only wanted to think about Harry and wanted the child to get better. He wanted the child to wake up and tell him why he went outside without his coat and hat. He wanted Harry to explain what happened. The last thing he wanted to deal with was that mutt lying in the Infirmary. Albus and Minerva weren’t getting it.


“Severus,” Albus soothed. “We are here to help you. Show our support for you with Harry. Even though this new information has come to light, it doesn’t change your role in Harry’s life. I told you that.” 


“You are no longer alone,” Minerva said. “There are so many people on your side. Your two biggest supporters are in this room. I know we give you grief, but even you understand why we do it.”


Severus hated to admit he knew why Albus and Minerva always were with him. It was a dark time in his life, and if it weren’t for the two of them, he probably wouldn’t be here. But the last thing he would do was to admit that to them. They would never let him live it down. 


_0_0_0

Quirrell walked into the Leaky Cauldron, wiping the excess snow off his coat. He couldn’t believe what just happened. He knew he needed to find a way to get back inside that castle. 


Well, he couldn’t think about it now. He still had someone important to meet. When he walked in, he saw a hooded-cloaked person sitting in the back of the bar. 


“What can I get you?” Tom asked from behind the counter.


“N..nothing yet,” Quirrell responded absentmindedly. He was on a mission and would not be deterred. 


“You’re late,” the voice rasped as Quirrell sat down.


“T..things came up,” Quirrell responded. “What d..do you have for me that was so important that you would r…risk everything?”


“First, stop with the fake stutter. You sound like an idiot,” the hooded man snapped.


“You’re one to talk,” Quirrell snapped back. 


“I know what will bring Lord Voldemort back,” The cloaked figure said, dismissing Quirrell’s statement. His voice was filled with pride. “On the third floor in the castle.”


“That’s nothing,” Quirrell said. “I thought you would have something new.”


“I’ve seen it,” the person replied. “It will please the Master that I found this.”


“What makes you think so?” Quirrell asked. “I know what’s on the third floor. You’re telling me nothing special. You forget. I live at the castle, too.”


“Fighting amongst yourselves will not solve anything.”


The two wizards looked up at the third man they were waiting on.


“Do neither of you know the concept of time?” the hooded man asked. 


“Don’t start with me, you rat,” the man groused. “Coming from Azkaban is no walk in the park. I can’t just apparate from the island.”


“No need to get personal,” the hooded man squeaked, no longer sounding as confident as he was a moment ago. “Keep your voice down.”


“What news do you bring, Seamus?” Quirrell asked, trying to bring their meeting back to focus. “Hopefully, it will be better than this rat’s.”


A small whimper came from the hooded man, but the other two paid him no mind.


“Black was released,” Seamus said. 


“What?” the hooded man squeaked. “How could you let that happen?”


“As if I could deny Albus Dumbledore a formal request like that,” Seamus replied. “He had the paperwork. I couldn’t deny it.”


“This can not happen,” the hooded man cried. “Everything will be ruined if Black talks. This has to be taken care of.” Panic settled in the man. “This is terrible.”


“Will you shut up and grow a pair?” Seamus demanded. “There’s not much that can be done while Black is under the care of Dumbledore. You’re just going to have to work faster. From what I’ve learned, he is going for a new trial.”


“Well, it’s not like they can prove anything,” Quirrell inquired. “You took care of the Will?”


“Well,” Peter whined, looking increasingly uncomfortable with the two men’s scrutiny. 


“What did you do, you rat?” Seamus growled. 


_0_0_0

Remus lived in Muggle London. He walked into his small flat, dusting the snow off his threadbare coat. Because of his ailment, Remus never was able to find substantial work. He did odd jobs and tutored a bit to make ends meet. 


Most days, Remus would sit back and reminisce about his school time. He missed his friends. For almost seven years, he could live his life without fear of his secret isolating him. During that time, he was able to be a child.


In the beginning, Remus thought he would always be alone. He was a werewolf. He was a monster. No one would see the small, scared boy he truly was. Being a werewolf, Remus could not attend school. There were laws against werewolves being within “civilization.”  


Remus was surprised when he got a visit from Albus Dumbledore. He was the Headmaster of Hogwarts and a great wizard. There weren’t many people who didn’t know who Dumbledore was. So, for this great wizard to come and personally invite him to Hogwarts to learn was amazing. Scary and dangerous but amazing.


Precautions were made to ensure the safety of the other students and staff. Initially, only three people knew the truth about Remus: Professors Dumbledore, McGonagall, and Madam Pomfrey. 


In the beginning, Remus was excited he was able to join a school and be around other children his own age. It didn’t mean he still wasn’t lonely. Then he met two boys that changed everything. James and Sirius saw him just as he was. Even after they learned he was a werewolf. They didn’t shun him. They kept his secret. 


It had been a long time since Remus thought about his time at Hogwarts. Actually, he had tried for many of these past ten years not to think about Hogwarts. Because it always led him back to the darkest time of his life. That night, his world changed, and he returned to being alone. In one night, he lost all of his friends. A small baby lost his family. The man who, he believed, would die for his friends actually set everything in motion to have them killed.


After that fateful Halloween night, Remus went into a dark place in his mind. For as long as he’d been a werewolf, Remus never wanted to curse anyone into this life. He also didn’t want to live up to the stigma of killing. But that night, Remus wanted to hunt Sirius Black and rip him limb from limb. Never would he think in his wildest dreams that Sirius would betray James. Not to the point of James’s death. But James and Lily’s deaths opened Remus’ eyes to what Sirius was truly capable of. It brought a true light to that so-called prank that happened during the sixth year at Hogwarts.


It took several years for Remus to let go of his rage. He figured he needed to live for James and Lily and honor their memory.


Remus sat down at his desk. It was filled with several sheets of paper that were sent to him from the students he was tutoring. But reading their work wasn’t at the forefront of his agenda. It was the roll of parchment that came via owl. Remus wanted to ignore the first parchment he received. But he should have known one thing about Albus Dumbledore: that man would not be ignored.


Remus read the invitation repeatedly as he’d done for the past few weeks. Then he looked at the most recent parchment he received yesterday. Remus couldn’t help the surge of excitement he was feeling at the prospect of seeing Hogwarts again. Those seven years were the best years of his life. Hogwarts was home for him. 


Could he dare to dream? Could it be possible? 


Making his final decision, Remus pinned his response and, once again, headed out into the cold to the Leaky Cauldron to borrow Tom’s owl.      


_0_0_0

Sirius woke up to a splitting headache. Never had his head hurt this bad. His throat clogged with tears as the worst night of his life replayed in his mind. 


(~~~_)

It was the morning of the 29th of October when the decision was made for the Potters to go into hiding. Albus learned of the imminent threat and suggested the Potters go into hiding. Sirius was present when he talked with James and Lily about their protection details. When Albus left, Sirius got the idea that if Death Eaters were planning on coming after James and Lily, then they would need even more protection. 


“Use Peter as your secret keeper,” Sirius said. 


“Peter?” Lily asked. “Are you sure?”


“He would be the best choice,” Sirius replied. “Everyone knows that James is my best friend. If you go into hiding, they will assume I would know your whereabouts.”


“That’s too great of a risk,” Lily pleaded. “You’re putting yourself in danger.”


“No more danger than usual,” Sirius countered. 


“He’s right, Lils,” James said after a moment. “If we are going to hide, then we need to have the most unlikely person as our secret keeper.” 


It hadn’t been a day since he said his goodbyes to James and Lily. He spent the better part of the evening playing with baby Harry. It broke his heart that he would not know where his family would be for now. Sirius would not believe that this arrangement would be permanent. It couldn’t be. He would not let it. They would find a way to win this war. They would defeat Voldemort. 


Sirius was given the honor of putting Harry to bed for what would be the last time. He played with Harry in order to tire him out. Once Harry was asleep, he laid the child in his temporary cot. When he turned to leave the room, he saw Lily standing in the doorway. 


“It won’t be forever,” Lily soothed. 


Too choked by tears, Sirius nodded as he walked past Lily, but not before giving her a kiss on the cheek. But when he walked back into the main room and saw James, he couldn’t keep the tears at bay. So, to not make an absolute fool of himself in front of James, he walked over to the man he saw as his brother and gripped him into a fierce hug. 


“It’s only for a little while,” James whispered before slipping a small object into Sirius’ pocket. 


Sirius looked into his pocket and saw an emerald gemstone half the size of his hand. A buck, a doe, and a fawn were in the middle of the stone.


“We’ll always be with you,” James said. “This is not goodbye.” 


Sirius saw Peter Pettigrew walk into the room. This was it. He wouldn’t see James, Lily, and Harry for the foreseeable future. 


“I’m trusting you, Wormtail,” Sirius said, standing before the shorter man. “Keep them safe.”


“I will,” Peter replied.


Sirius walked out of the temporary safehouse without looking back; never in his wildest dreams did Sirius believe that would be the last time he would see James alive.


(~~~_)

Sirius hated reliving that night. The night he betrayed his friend, his brother. So many what-ifs. His last night with his family. His last night when everything was perfect.


_0_0_0

Poppy just left Sevrerus’ chambers after bringing more warm saline. She checked over Harry once more. Harry seemed to be warming up this time to the point that he didn’t need the hat or gloves. 


Getting Severus to lay the child back on the once-again-transfigured cot took a lot of convincing. Harry’s temperature had risen enough that he was out of danger. Poppy deemed it safe enough that the child didn’t need to stay under Hagrid’s coat, but she wanted to keep Harry on the saline for a little longer.


“If he doesn’t wake on his own in the next few hours,” Poppy instructed before leaving, “try and wake Harry up.”


The three wizards were in a comfortable silence in the Potion Master’s chambers. Albus was perusing a book while Minerva was crocheting. Severus was genuinely surprised when the house elf brought Minerva her supplies. Severus figured telling the two old geezers they didn’t need to stay was a waste of breath. They would listen to him as much as the behemoth of a dog that was still lying on the floor in front of his chair. 


Squirming and moaning brought Severus out of his musings. Severus looked down at the boy in his arms. The child tried to grip Severus’ shirt with his gloved-covered hand while rubbing his forehead on his chest. 


“Come on, Mr. Potter,” Severus whispered into the child’s head, rubbing his hand up and down the child’s back. “It’s time to wake up now.”


Albus and Minerva stopped what they were doing, paying attention to the couple in the chair. 


“M’ cold,” Harry moaned quietly. “S’ry, Un’kle Ver’n, come inside?”


“I know you’re cold,” Severus said. “We’re trying to warm you back up. But I need you to open your eyes. I want you to tell me where you are.”


Harry remembered realizing he wasn’t with his relatives. He could still hear the thumping of his safety’s heart. But he also could feel the punishing strikes from his uncle’s strap. 


Harry could hear his safety telling him to open his eyes. But Harry didn’t want to open them and discover everything had been a dream that he was still in his cupboard. 


Harry felt something cold and wet touch his cheek. Fear enveloped him as he believed he was still outside at that moment, but it was short-lived in the next moment. 


“If you don’t get away from here, you blasted dog,” Severus groused. “Give the child some air.”


The sharpness of his safety’s voice made Harry try to open his eyes. His eyelids felt so heavy. But Harry was determined to open them. If he could hear his safety and know that the only dog his Professor would come near was there, he wanted to see if it was true. 


Harry opened his eyes, and the first thing he saw was Fang’s muzzle near his face. He could tell he didn’t have his glasses. Harry couldn’t remember where his glasses were. Not that it’d matter. Lying on Professor Snape’s chest brought tears to his eyes. It was all true. Harry was no longer with his relatives. 


“Mr. Potter,” Severus said again. “Where are you?”


“You’re real?” Harry whispered.


“Very much so,” Severus replied.


Harry reached up and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck.


TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 27: A Venomous Past by mandancie

It’s been three days since Harry was out in the snow. Poppy deemed Harry able to get off the warm saline the second day. Harry could move around on his own at the end of the second day.  


Albus and Minerva stayed the first night, much to Severus’ protests. Harry slept on his bed after he woke up. Fang stayed with the boy. 


After putting Harry down and ensuring he was asleep, Severus left to return Hagrid’s coat. Severus found Hagrid in the Great Hall. 


“Hagrid,” Severus called out, walking towards the half-giant.


“Professor Snape,” Hagrid replied. “How’s Harry?”


“His temperature is regulating,” Severus said. “He’s out of danger but still needs to rest.” Handing Hagrid his coat, Severus continued, “Can you tell me what happened? How did you find him?”


“Fang took off into the forest,” Hagrid said. “He usually doesn’t like going into the forest, especially without me. Usually a coward, that one. I ran after him, and when I found him, he was curled around Harry.”


“Yes, well,” Severus said. “Thank you, Hagrid. I will say that your dog will not leave Harry’s side.” 


“Fang may be lazy, but he is loyal,” Hagrid said. “He’s had a liking for Harry since the beginning of school.”


_0_0_0

“Severus,” a voice called out from the fireplace.


Severus stepped into the sitting room of his chambers and saw Molly’s head in the floo. 


“Mrs. Weasley,” Severus greeted as he got on his knees. 


“I’m sorry to bother you so early,” Molly began.


“It’s fine,” Severus replied. “What can I do for you?”


“I wanted to check in on Harry. Minerva told me what happened.”


“Meddling old cat,” Severus growled to himself. “Harry’s doing better,” Severus said to Molly. “He’s resting now.”


“May I come through?” Molly asked. “I would like to see Harry.”


The question took Severus by surprise. Why would she want to come here? Severus stood, allowing Molly entrance into his chambers.


When Molly stepped through, she did not come empty-handed. She had a handled basket filled with cakes and pies. There was a small covered pot that smelled of beef stew. It also had knitted items in it. She handed over the goodie basket when she cleared the floo.


“I brought a nice warm meal for the two of you,” Molly said, brushing the dust from her clothes. “I figured you would be worried about Harry and not taking care of yourself. It’s enough there for the both of you.”


After setting the basket on the coffee table, Severus looked through everything in there. The stew in question was the size of his small cauldrons. Who did she expect would eat this much? Setting that aside, Severus pulled out more items: cakes, pies, bread, mulled wine, and juice.


“Thank you for this,” Severus said, shocked in his tone. “But I’m sure you are aware that the school has house elves that take care of the food.”


“Ah,” Molly dismissed. “Nothing beats a good home-cooked meal. This will warm you both up. May I see Harry now?”


“Yes,” Severus said, stepping into the small hallway that led to the bedrooms. 


Molly followed. 


When they got to Harry’s bedroom, Molly was surprised to see Hagrid’s dog lying on the floor. She looked at Severus, but he explained before she could even ask.


“Fang was the one that found Harry. He was in the forest. Now, the behemoth refuses to leave Harry’s side.”


“Have you learned what happened?” Molly asked as she made her way to the side of the bed. 


Harry was asleep, curled in a small ball in the middle of the bed. Molly sat down on the edge of the bed and started running her fingers in the child’s messy hair. 


“Not much,” Severus sighed, leaning against the doorjamb. “He’s still not making much sense. Poppy said he would have difficulty communicating because of how low his temperature was. He was at dangerous levels. Fang saved his life.” Severus’ voice cracked a little at the end. Just the thought of almost losing his godson was too much.


Molly turned and looked at the Potions professor. She’d known Severus his entire time of teaching. He’d taught all of her children so far, and she’d always known him to keep his composure. Her heart broke for him because she understood. The thought of almost losing any of her children would be devastating. 


Harry felt the bed dip a little. Fear speeded within the small child. Who could this be? Would he get in trouble for being in the soft, warm bed? His safety promised that it was his and no one would take it from him, but Uncle Vernon always told him that he was a Freak and nothing good would ever be his. When Harry felt the hand on his head, panic set in.


Molly began shushing the child, trying to soothe Harry. Severus fully walked into the room. He was about to take over what Molly was doing when Fang decided at the moment to jump on the bed. 


Molly was knocked off the bed. She would have landed on the floor if Severus didn’t catch her. 


Fang, being just shy of the same size as the bed, stepped up on the bed when he heard the child’s distress. Fang’s muzzle pressed against Harry’s face, causing the child to try and move away from him. 


Helping Molly stand, Severus growled, “Get off the bed,” as he got to Harry’s side.


Fang whined as he lay down. The bed creaked against the weight of the dog.


“Harry,” Severus’ voice changed to a soothing tone.


Harry opened his eyes and saw his safety instantly reaching out for him.


Severus didn’t want to take the child from the warmth of his bed or the heat he knew Fang was giving him, but he wasn’t going to deny his godson when he wanted to be held. Gripping Harry under his arms, Severus brought the small child to his chest and sat on the bed.


“You here,” Harry whispered.


Severus heard Molly gasp from what Harry said. He felt Harry tense in his arms. “I’ll always be here,” Severus promised. “Someone’s come to see you.”


“Don’t send away,” Harry whined, squirming in Severus’ arms. “I good. No more outside. Too cold.”


“You are staying with me,” Severus soothed. “You have a visitor.”


Harry looked up and saw a blurry version of Mrs. Weasley standing by the bed. Harry gripped Severus’ robes.


“Mrs. Weasley brought over some goodies for us,” Severus said, trying to prevent another panic episode. “Would you like something to eat? You love Mrs. Weasley’s food, right?”


Harry looked up at his safety and nodded. 


“Good,” Severus praised as he sat Harry on the bed beside him. “Let’s get you ready so we can have something to eat.”


Molly, trying to keep her tears at bay, saw Harry’s house robe on the back of a chair and handed it over to Severus.


Once ready, the three walked out of the bedroom to the small kitchenette. Fang walking right behind them. He lay on the floor again by Harry’s feet. 


Molly was about to bring the basket to the table, but Severus halted her movement with a hand up.


“Tami,” Severus called out. 


His small elf appeared next to him. Tami kept a low profile to her master so as not to have a reminder of the panic Harry went through when he went to bed.


“Bring me a small bowl,” Severus ordered. Tami left and appeared with said item within moments. 


“Severus?” Molly questioned, but Severus just shook his head.


Severus filled the bowl halfway before placing it with a spoon next to Harry and his two potions. After several reassuring words, Harry grinned at his Godfather and started eating.


Severus walked over to where Molly stood. He cast a silencing charm over them so they could talk freely without disturbing or upsetting Harry but would still be able to hear him if he needed them.


“Severus,” Molly said. 


“Some things are overwhelming for Harry,” Severus said, sitting on his sofa. “I’m learning he’s having difficulty discerning from his dreams and reality. I don’t know if these are repressed feelings or if something truly damaging happened during his stay out in the cold.”


“What do you mean?” Molly asked, sitting next to Severus.


“For example,” Severus explained. “If he saw your basket in its entirety, he would have panicked, believing that either it couldn’t be for him or that it was something he was supposed to prepare. He’s not used to magic, so Tami gave me the bowl here and didn't have it just appear in front of Harry.”   


_0_0_0

Albus walked into the Infirmary and saw Sirius sitting up on his cot. Poppy was tending to him.


“Good morning,” Albus said, standing next to the bed. 


“Good morning, Headmaster,” Poppy replied. “How’s Harry doing?”


Before Albus could reply, Sirius said in a panicked rage, “What’s wrong with Harry? What did Sniv–” he broke off when he saw the cold look he was getting from the Headmaster.


“What’s wrong with Harry?” Sirius asked again, this time more calmly.


Albus looked at Sirius for a beat, deciding if he should reveal what was happening with Harry. After a bit, he chose not to say anything. Sirius had to earn the right to know. If he wasn’t going to show respect towards Severus, he could wait until Severus deemed it time for Sirius to know. Besides, Albus had a different reason for seeing Sirius.


Completely ignoring Sirius’ question, Albus said, “When Severus used Legilimens on you to verify your story, something else came up. You became an Animagus.”


Sirius didn’t say anything. 


“Both you and James became Animagi,” Albus continued. “Am I to assume that Peter Pettigrew, being a part of your group, also became an Animagus as well?”


There was no point in lying. Sirius nodded.


“I learned that a dog was seen within these halls on Christmas night. Is there something you want to tell me?”


Again, Sirius said nothing. 


“I see,” Albus said, sitting on the cot next to Sirius. “You were all set to say disparaging things about Severus, but when the subject is on you and the illegal things that could have landed all three of you in Azkaban as well as discredited Hogwarts, you’re silent.”


Sirius paled a little at hearing what would have happened if they were caught. At the time, it didn’t seem all that serious about them learning to be Animagi. They didn’t want Remus to be alone when he became a werewolf. It was exciting to learn. He and James were ecstatic to master changing into their animagus form so quickly. They read that it took a long time to become one. It took Peter a little longer to master his Animagus form, and Sirius poked fun at Peter being a rat. But thinking back on the events that happened that night, maybe Sirius should have taken Peter’s Animagus form more seriously.


“I asked you before,” Albus continued, bringing Sirius from his thoughts, “how could James be safer with a werewolf instead of Severus? I believe I now know the answer.”


“We didn’t want Remus to be alone,” Sirius said. 


“James was safe because he turned into his Animagus form to protect Severus,” Albus continued, ignoring Sirius’ statement. “James must have lured poor Remus away so that Severus wouldn’t sustain much damage. Though we both know Severus was injured during that encounter.”


“Snape wasn’t hurt,” Sirius adamantly said. “Well, only his pride.”


Albus shook his head. “How much do you really know about the details of that night?”


“When I told James what I set up for Sniv-I mean Snape, he rushed out of the Common Room. When he came back, he stopped talking to me. I knew then he was angry, but we got through it.”


Albus tilted his head as he listened to Sirius. It amazed him how deluded Sirius was. And, more importantly, how seriously he, Albus, hurt his adopted son that night. He didn’t know if there was anything he could do to make up for what happened that night.


“Let me enlighten you as to what actually happened that night,” Albus said. “Severus came into contact with the werewolf. Severus was hurt, and he bears the scars to prove it.”


“It would have gotten out if he got hurt,” Sirius said. “Madam Pomfrey would have reported it if someone was attacked like that.”


“Severus, so much, enjoys telling me I’m becoming senile, but never have I witnessed such stubborn stupidity as I’m seeing from you right now.”


That statement took Sirius aback. So much could be taken from that sentence. How could Snape outright call Albus Dumbledore senile, showing the Headmaster such disrespect? 


“Yes, I allowed a known werewolf into this school,” Albus confessed. “But I would think you could surmise that more pertinent people would also know about it. How do you think the tunnel was made? Who do you think planted the Whomping Willow? How do you think the warding on the Shrieking Shack was done? How was poor Remus able to get around with little pain afterward? For one time in your life, drop your prejudice and blind arrogance and actually think. How were all these precautionary measures set?”


Sirius stared at the Headmaster. It really didn’t take a genius to know that it wasn’t just a coincidence with all the safety guards put in place. But thinking on it now, maybe he wasn’t as smart as he claimed to be. 


“The professors knew?” Sirius asked, though he already knew the answer. 


“Madam Pomfrey has records of everyone that’s graced these doors,” Albus said. “That being said, it would stand to reason that she would be able to treat Severus’ wounds from that night. Although they were wounds from a werewolf, and those scars do not heal completely, Severus is doing better.” 


“Our goal during Remus’ stay at Hogwarts was to ensure that young man would get the education he so rightly deserved while he kept his dignity and secret intact. Well, that didn’t happen that fateful night, did it? No. Because of your prank, Severus found out, got hurt, and was made to keep something quiet he should have never learned. If it had succeeded by chance, it would have meant the death of Remus and Severus or even James because he went out there to save Severus. And in the end, I would have been arrested along with any others who knew. It would have been a possible threat to the school closing. And poor, dear Lily would have lost everything. All for a prank.”


“What does Lily have to do with it?” Sirius asked. “She was nowhere in the middle of this.”


“I do believe Lily and James were starting to come together, am I right?” Albus asked. Sirius sat back against the headboard. “But she would have also lost her best friend.”


“Who, Snape?” Sirius asked. “They weren’t talking to each other anymore.”


“Why not?”


“He called her a “mudblood” in front of the whole school. She stormed off in tears. He tried to snivel and run after her, but she wasn’t hearing it.” 


Albus didn’t understand. He knew Severus and Lily were inseparable during their time at Hogwarts. He’d often seen the two of them sitting together, studying together. He saw the tension because of their friendship, so he hinted to Lily about the Room of Requirement. And they visited that room often. Never would he believe that Severus would utter such a horrible word. Then, a thought struck him.


“Why?” Albus asked. 


“Why, what?” 


“Why would Severus call his best friend, a girl he loved more than a sister, that word? What happened?”


“Snape got sore at us,” Sirius dismissed. “It was a harmless prank. Lily tried to defend him, and, like the ingrate he was, yelled at her. His pride was hurt. But it was so easy to goad him on.” Sirius couldn’t hide the smirk. 


“You think this is funny,” Albus accused. “It does explain what the catalyst was for how I lost him.” 


Albus didn’t know what he would learn when he came to Sirius today. But so many things were now coming to light. It was a hard pill for him to swallow of how ignorant Albus was to the everyday going on with the school. But learning more of what Severus had to endure was too much. What happened that would make Severus turn on his best friend? Albus looked at the man lying on the cot next to him. He studied the man for a moment. He thought about how callus Sirius had been in regard to Severus.


The room started to get cold. Sirius noticed he was getting colder. He pulled his cover closer towards him. He could see his breath out in front of him. He couldn’t keep eye contact with the Headmaster. And the stare he was receiving was more than uncomfortable.


“What did you do to my son?” Albus asked, enunciating each word.


Sirius paled.


+0+0+0

Poppy was working on Harry’s files when she noticed her breath showing in front of her. She looked around and saw that the glass windows started to mist over. 


Oh, no, Poppy thought as she rushed out of her office. 


She saw Albus staring at Sirius. And just like before, Albus’ temper was coming through. Poppy quickly sent her Patronus as she walked over to the Headmaster and her patient. 


Before Poppy could say anything, Minerva stepped through the floo. 


“Sweet Merlin,” Minerva said, shivering. 


She walked over to where Albus was. It had been a long time since the Headmaster showed this much anger. Poppy looked over at her in a silent plea to help calm Albus down. 


“Albus,” Minerva softly said, touching Albus’ shoulder. “What’s going on?” 


Albus didn’t respond. He just continued to stare at Sirius.


Not getting a response from Albus, she turned to Sirius and asked the same question.


“Sirius, what happened?”


Sirius didn’t answer the Deputy Headmistress. His only reply was, “Who is his son?” 


Minerva focused on Sirius, blocking Albus’ stare at her former student. 


“Listen to me, Sirius,” Minerva urged. “I need to know what you two were talking about.”


“Snape,” Sirius whispered. 


Minerva looked at Poppy, “Go get Severus,” Minerva said. 


“I don’t think he’ll leave Harry,” Poppy said, stepping away from Albus. 


“He’ll have to,” Minerva replied. “Albus needs to see him.”


Because of the intensity Poppy remembered Severus put on the flames in his fireplace, using the floo was out of the question. Poppy had to go down to the dungeons. 


Blocking Albus’ view of Sirius, Minerva continued to attempt to get the Headmaster’s attention. 


The windows in the Infirmary were starting to frost over. Not wanting another incident with their body temperature dropping, Minerva cast a strong warming charm over herself and Sirius.


After a moment, Poppy returned with Severus in tow. A shiver broke through both of them when they stepped inside the Infirmary. 


“Minerva,” Severus said, walking towards the three others in the room. “What’s going on?”


“I need your help calming him down,” Minerva said, giving Severus room to stand before Albus. 


Severus looked at Sirius, then put his attention on his adopted father. 


“Merlin, old man, you’re worse than Harry,” Severus quipped. “I’ve had enough with the cold, Albus. Can you warm it up in here?”


Albus looked up at Severus. “What did they do to you?”


Severus was taken aback at the look he was receiving from Albus. Never had he seen Albus look this anguished. His question caught him off guard.


“Who?” Severus replied. 


“Black and Potter,” Albus said. “What did they do? What would make you call Lily a mudblood?”


Severus stepped back. The last thing he ever wanted to talk about with anybody was the events of that day. So many things went wrong. The stress from taking the OWLs. The pressure the other Slytherins were putting on him. The death of his mother over that Christmas break. Dealing with Potter and Black was the last thing he wanted to deal with. But the humiliation they subjected Severus to was the proverbial icing on the cake. Everything bubbled over, and Severus took it out on the one person who had always been by his side. And that blunder cost him everything. 


Severus looked at Sirius and then back at Albus. Old feelings resurfaced, and Severus could see the disbelief in Albus’ eyes.


“Of course,” Severus snapped, “believe them!”


“Severus, no,” Minerva said. “That’s not–”


“You misunderstood me,” Albus said quietly, standing before Severus and putting his hands on Severus’ shoulders. “What did they do to you? How did they hurt you, son?”


Severus knew Albus cared for him. As much as he hated to admit it, Severus knew. Albus stayed by his side the entire time when he spied on the Death Eaters and some nights when he got back. Severus was loathe to admit it; he liked that feeling but also hated it. He was never deserving of that type of care. So many things were wrong because of him. Anything good that came into his life would be snatched away. His mother. Lily. The last thing he wanted to lose was Albus and now Harry. He didn’t want them to get too close but knew he wasn’t strong enough to let them go.


A hand caressing his cheek brought Severus out of his depressive thoughts. He looked into the caring eyes of his adopted father. 


“What happened to you?” Albus asked. “What happened that caused you to lash out and say that word?”


Severus closed his eyes, took a deep breath, stepped back from Albus, and looked at him.


Albus' heart broke at witnessing his son occlude in front of him. That action alone let Albus know that whatever happened was devastating. 


Severus looked at Albus and calmly and coldly spoke of what happened that fateful sunny day during his fifth year. 


“It was during our OWLs,” Severus stated. “A break was called, so I went out to sit by the lake under a tree. I was minding my business when four Gryffindors, who could do no wrong in your eyes, decided they were bored and wanted to humiliate me.”


With a pained look, Albus lowered his head. He knew Severus was detaching himself. Albus wanted to correct him but decided to let Severus tell his story without interruptions. 


“When I heard them coming,” Severus continued, “I stood to try and defend myself from four Gryffindors. Potter unarmed me and cast a jinx to knock me down. Lily rushed over and tried to get Potter to stop. I was able to get my wand and send my own jinx to Potter. James ignored her pleas to stop and used my own curse and levitated me by my ankles so that my robes would fall and reveal my clothes or lack thereof. Someone from my dorm decided it was funny to take my clothes. I didn’t have any trousers on. I believed my robe was long enough that I would be fine. I was wrong.” Severus looked over at Sirius and continued. “It was funny, wasn’t it? I mean, you laughed the loudest when everyone could see my underpants. Everyone, let’s laugh at Snivellous. He’s just a greasy nobody joke for everyone’s amusement, right, Black? Lily, once again, pleaded for James to leave me alone. Between the laughing from everyone and Lily’s pleading, I snapped. I yelled at her, instantly regretting it. What was left of my heart shattered when she looked at me. Lily ran off. But my humiliation wasn’t over, was it Black?”


“What else happened?” Minerva asked quietly.


“Ask Black,” Severus said, staring at Sirius. “It was his way to elevate his boredom.”


Everyone looked at the man lying on the cot expectantly. 


“What happened?” Minerva all but growled at Sirius.


Sirius thought it best that he didn’t ignore his former Head of House’s question. 


“James cast ‘Scourgify,’ causing pink soap bubbles to emerge from Snape’s mouth and nose,” Sirius confessed. “Then threatened to remove his pants.” 


The silence was deafening. Albus, Poppy, and Minerva couldn’t believe what they just heard. Albus had no idea Severus suffered like this. He never imagined the severity of his son’s abuse.


“How were you lowered?” Poppy asked, speaking for the first time. 


“Lowered?” Severus asked. 


“Yeah, how did you get down?” 


“I wasn’t lowered,” Severus said. “To solidify that final bit of humiliation, I wasn’t lowered. I was dropped. Barely not breaking my neck. Everyone laughed as they walked away. But, again, they could do no wrong.”


After a bit of awkward silence, Severus spoke, “Well, since you’re back to your senses,” looking at Albus, “I’m going back to Harry.” 


The Potions Master turned and left the Infirmary. When Severus reached his chambers, he walked in, seeing Molly cradling Harry on her lap. Harry was wrapped in the knitted blanket Molly brought over. 


“Is everything alright?” Molly whispered. 


“It’s fine,” Severus replied. “How’s Harry?”


Looking down at the small child in her lap, Molly said, “He wanted a hug when you left and wouldn’t let go. He fell back asleep maybe five minutes ago.”


Severus walked over to where Molly and Harry were and let his potion-stained fingers get lost in Harry’s mess of curls. 


Harry woke up at the new touch and saw his safety. A tired grin spread across Harry’s face as he tried to reach for Severus. 


Molly allowed Severus to relinquish her precious bundle. She smiled up at Severus as she watched Harry literally wrap himself around the man. She stood up and wrapped the fallen blanket back over Harry’s shoulders. 


“Thank you for watching him,” Severus said. 


“It was a pleasure,” Molly replied. “Call me anytime.” Molly turned and left through the floo. 


So much was revealed in the past thirty minutes. Things Severus never wanted to remember. So much hurt and shame. After that day, Severus believed he would never have his friend again. That all his chances of happiness ended when he uttered that horrible word. For so many months, Severus pleaded and begged. He tried to talk to Lily. He even tried to talk to her during the Summer holiday. That didn’t work. She wouldn’t see him. His life was a dark place. For years, it seemed the only light, though it pains him to admit it, was Albus and Minerva being in his life. But then his light changed into this small child in his arms. The day they read the Will allowed Severus to breathe again. She forgave him. After all that time, Lily forgave him.


TBC

To be continued...
Chapter 28: Making Things Right by mandancie

Albus watched as his adopted son left the Infirmary. He couldn’t believe what he had just listened to. Never would he have imagined the level of disregard for another human being within this school. 


Hogwarts was a school of inclusion. No one was ever to feel that they didn’t belong. Everyone was supposed to feel like this was their home. There would be no judging of people. That’s what Albus had hoped he achieved. That was his reasoning for admitting Remus Lupin into the school. 


Albus looked at the now-closed doors of the Infirmary, thinking about Severus and everything that man has been through. All that Albus believed about Severus was just the tip of the iceberg of what his son had been through. Albus believed that taking Severus from his abusive father would help the child. But all Albus accomplished was removing Severus from one abusive situation but not the other.


“Professor Dumbledore,” Sirius said.


“Shut up, Black,” Albus roared, turning on Sirius. “Do you not understand the ramifications of your actions? Do you not understand what your “boredom” and “pranks” caused? Why did you pick Severus Snape? What could he have possibly done to deserve your ire?”


Sirius looked at the different emotions he received from the people in the room. Disappointment from McGonagall and Pomfrey. Disgust and anger from Dumbledore. Were those pranks really so bad? Maybe some of them went a little bit too far, but nothing warranted what he was receiving now. It wasn’t like Snape didn’t get them back. Snape wasn’t innocent in this whole matter.  As he recalled, there were several times he and Lily got one over on him and James. 


“James liked Lily,” Sirius replied. “She was always spending time with that—”


“It might be best for you if you didn’t finish that statement,” Minerva chimed in. “You seem unaware of how close to death you are right now.”


That statement surprised Sirius. He had never felt like his safety was threatened while he was at Hogwarts. The castle was always like a second home to him. The Potters’ house was the first, never his family’s house. 


“So,” Albus said, removing Sirius from his thoughts, “the only issue you had with Severus was that he was friends with Ms. Evans. Ignoring the fact that they could have been friends before even coming to Hogwarts, that they were the only people each other knew, starting a new chapter in their lives.”  


“I believed you told me Severus was always following Lily around,” Minerva added. “Am I right?”


Sirius didn’t reply. He just looked from Albus to Minerva. 


“And I equated that line of thinking to how close you and James Potter were,” Minerva continued. She looked at her former student, expecting an answer. “Yes?”


Sirius nodded. 


“Don’t get quiet now,” Albus roared again. “You had no problem touting your hatred towards Severus. Be the man you ought to be and speak up.”


“Yes, sir.”


“Now,” Albus said more calmly. “In the half-hour, we’ve learned that you’ve participated in a great many crimes. Several, had they come out when they happened, would have landed you in Azkaban.”


Sirius looked shocked at the Headmaster’s assessment. 


“You seem surprised by that,” Albus said, sitting down at the foot of Sirius’ cot. “Becoming an unregistered Animagus, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit murder, sexual harassment, stalking, just to name a few.”


Hearing the Headmaster's conclusions on what he could have been charged seemed so farfetched. He understood him being unregistered. And maybe attempted murder with the incident involving Remus. But sexual harassment and stalking? Conspiracy? That can’t be true. 


“Now,” Albus continued, paying no mind to Sirius’s inner thoughts, though Black’s expression clearly read, “this is what’s going to happen. You will leave this school.”


“What?!” Sirius cried out. “You said you would see to a trial.”


Albus raised his hand, halting Sirius from continuing. “And I will keep my promise. But you will not reside here in the same building as my son and Harry.”


“I’m Harry’s Godfather,” Sirius pleaded.


“But he’s with Severus,” Albus said. “And that’s where he will stay. If you are to have any connection with young Harry, it will be on Severus’ terms. It will be Severus’ decision. In other words, you’ll have to go through Severus to see Harry.” 


Sirius could not believe what he was hearing. This wasn’t fair. Why should that greasy git get to keep Harry?


“I believe your family home at Grimmauld Place is vacant,” Albus said. “I will….”


“No,” Sirius screamed. “I will not go back to that house.”


“It’s there or Azkaban until your new trial,” Albus said coolly. “You will not stay here. Once dear Poppy deems you well enough, you will be leaving. Plus, I can’t have you around when school resumes.” Albus stood from the bed and turned to leave. “That is where you will stay.”


“You can’t make me stay there,” Sirius grumbled. 


Albus turned and looked at Sirius. He looked like a petulant child throwing a tantrum. 


“Understand this,” Albus said, getting close to Sirius till they were nose-to-nose. “You may be out of Azkaban, but you are not in any way a free man. Your release was conditional. And I, alone, hold that condition. You would do well to remember that. And if I see you or the dog anywhere near here or around Harry, going back to Azkaban will the the least of your worries. You are already on thin ice. It would be in your best interest not to anger me further.”


Albus walked out of the Infirmary. The room was quiet. After a moment, Sirius spoke up.


“His son?” Sirius whispered.


“I’m sorry?” Poppy said.


“Snivellous is the Headmaster’s son?” Sirius mumbled to himself and then asked, his voice louder. “When did that happen?”


“Not that it's any of your business,” Minerva quipped. “But, Albus had always tried to keep Severus in his sights. He looked after him. It became official in his seventh year. But Albus always tried to get Severus to open up to him. And now, we know why Severus never did.”


Sirius could hear the accusing tone in the voice of his former Head of House. Sirius sighed. They were taking those things out of proportion. They were just pranks. So what, they had a little fun. Nothing happened. But in the end, he basically lost Harry again. That thought hurt Sirius the most.


_0_0_0

Molly stepped out of the floo to a quiet home. Arthur was sitting on the sofa reading the Daily Prophet. When she stepped from the hearth, he stood and went to her. 


“Where is everyone?” Molly asked, shrugging out of her robes.


“Bill scored tickets to a Quidditch game,” Arthur said, helping Molly. “They left an hour ago.”


“Wonderful,” Molly said distractedly as she walked towards the kitchen. She figured her children would be nice and hungry when they got home.


Arthur watched as his lovely wife moved about the kitchen. He could tell she was holding something back. She told him that she was going to visit, wanting to check up on Severus and Harry, but something had to have happened for her to be this upset.


Arthur stood in the kitchen doorway and watched Molly move around the kitchen. He knew she was holding in her emotions. He didn’t like it when she did that. It was bad enough when her brothers were killed, and she kept that hurt in.   


“How’s Harry?”


Molly froze from what she was doing and tried to take a deep breath. She tried to keep her shoulders from trembling. But when she turned and looked at her husband, tears pooled in her eyes.


Arthur didn’t speak as he walked over to his wife and wrapped his arms around her. 


After a moment of silence in the kitchen, Arthur asked, “What happened?”


Molly didn’t say anything. She just shook her head.


“Come on,” Arthur pleaded. “Talk to me. What happened? How’s Harry?”


Molly stepped away from Arthur’s embrace and started pacing. Her once sadness changed to anger and fury. She couldn’t fathom who or what could have scared Harry so badly that he saw no choice but to run.


“Fang is the reason Harry’s alive,” Molly abruptly said. His temperature dropped drastically, and they had to keep Harry wrapped in Hagrid’s coat for the first two days.”


After pacing the length of the kitchen a few more times, Molly returned to her food prep. “I need to finish this before the children get home,” she said.


Arthur watched as his Molly worked about the kitchen. One thing he learned about his wife was that when she was, her mood could be revealed by what and how much she cooked. With the abundance of food Molly was gathering, she was both angry and upset. 

    

_0_0_0

It’d been two days since Severus’ confession in the Infirmary. Albus successfully transferred Sirius to Grimmauld Place with little resistance from Black. He received Remus Lupin’s reply to come to Hogwarts to teach. 


Albus wanted to give Severus space during those two days. Not that he wasn’t keeping an eye on his son. Tami did well in letting him know what was happening and how Harry was progressing. Tami informed him that Harry was able to speak more clearly. And that Fang finally left Severus’ chambers. Albus couldn’t help the small chuckle escape thinking how Severus reacted to the dog. 


Albus knew he needed to make it up to Severus for everything the boy went through during his time at Hogwarts. 


What hurt Albus’ heart more was that he knew Severus wouldn’t accept it. Severus would try and bury it. Albus was not going to let that happen, so he sent for him.


Severus stepped through the floo, bringing Albus from his thoughts. His eyes twinkled as he watched his son walk towards his desk. 


“Ah, Severus,” Albus said. “How is young Harry doing?”


“Better,” Severus said, sitting down. “I just dropped him off at Hagrid’s. He’s out playing with that behemoth, as if he hadn’t had enough of that dog already.”  


Albus chuckled. “I’m glad he’s out and about.” 


Severus continued, “He’s calmed down more around magic. I’m trying not to overwhelm him, but with classes starting back soon, he needs to be able to leave my side.”


Albus nodded, agreeing with Severus’ assessment.


“You wanted something?” Severus asked, changing the subject.


“Yes,” Albus said. “Several things that needed to be discussed.”


“Listen, Albus,” Severus started. The last thing he wanted to talk about was what happened in the Infirmary. “About what I said in the Infirmary…”


“I’m glad I know the whole story,” Albus cut in. “It answered a lot of questions I’ve had. It also told me how strong you are; I’m proud of you. So, to the point. Some things need to be said and settled.”


Severus looked puzzled but didn’t reply. 


“Firstly, I want to apologize—”


“Albus, I said—”


Albus raised his hand, halting Severus’ outburst. “Let me finish.”


Severus sat back. 


“My apology is for having you perform Legilimens on Sirius Black. Had I known the whole story in regards to the two of you, I would have never had him in this castle.”


Severus didn’t respond. Actually, for the first time, he didn’t know what to say. Rarely had he ever been apologized to so sincerely.


“Secondly,” Albus continued, “my apology is because of my ignorance and blindness to what you tried to tell me.”


“Albus, please stop.” Severus did not want to talk about this. Honestly, he wanted to forget the entire thing. Bringing all that up brought too many horrible memories.


“Sirius Black is no longer within these walls,” Albus said. “And as long as you are here, he will never set foot at Hogwarts unless you invite him.”


Severus didn’t know how to take that information. Usually, his interests or concerns were never taken into consideration. Rarely did things go in his favor. 


Albus continued, bringing Severus from his thoughts. 


“Next, I dismissed Quinirus Quirrell. He’s been expelled from the castle. That being said, I sent for a new Professor to finish the school term. I want you to understand I would have talked to you about this sooner, but it took a backseat to the urgency concerning Harry’s health.”


“I wrote to this person after the Quidditch practice incident. I didn’t receive a reply. Again, after Harry’s unfortunate detention in the Forest, and again, no reply.”


“Do you actually have someone coming?” Severus questioned. 


Albus smirked at his son but continued. “I do, but I wanted to give you a timeline of when the correspondence started. And by the look on your face, you believed I didn’t believe you. I would usually come back with something along the lines of “I’ve always believed you.” But in light of what’s happened, I have no right to say that.”   


“Albus.”


“Anywhoo,” Albus pushed on. “When you learned Quirrell was the catalyst for what happened with Harry and Neville Longbottom, I insisted. He finally agreed and is on his way here.”


“Who is it?” Severus asked. 


“Remus Lupin.” Albus waited for Severus’ reaction. None came.


Severus had no reaction to learning who would be coming to the school. He could tell Albus was waiting for his response, so Severus said, “Lupin may have spent his time with Potter and Black but rarely participated. Besides, I’m no longer that scrawny little boy.”


“No, you're not,” Albus agreed. “But I don’t want to make the same mistakes again. If Remus being here will be an issue…”


“As long as he takes the Wolfsbane,” Severus cut in, “I have no problems with him.”


Albus smiled at his son. 


“Will you allow Harry to speak with him?” Albus asked after a moment of silence between the two wizards.


“It’s not like I could stop him,” Severus said. “He’s going to be the boy’s teacher. There will be absolutely no way Lupin’ll stay away from Harry. He will see a miniature James Potter walk into the room.”


“You’ll start on the potion?” Albus asked. 


“I’ve been,” Severus said, standing up. “Are we done?”


“Remus should be here any day now,” Albus said, trying to hide his surprise at Severus’ reaction. “Will you let him see Harry now?” 


Standing in front of the hearth, Severus turned to face his adopted father, “No, Harry can see him when the other children do. Don’t fight me on this.”


Albus raised his hands in a placating manner as Severus left through the floo.


_0_0_0

Severus walked out of his floo and was greeted by the door to his chambers opening and his godson walking inside. He was about to greet the child when someone else walked behind him.


“Why is that thing here?” Severus asked, referring to the overly large dog standing behind Harry.


Harry smiled at his Godfather as he raised his hand, petting the side of Fang’s massive head. 


“He wanted to follow me back,” Harry said, grinning. He turned and faced Fang. “Thanks, Fang. I’ll see you later.” Fang turned and left Severus’ chambers. Harry closed the door behind the dog. 


Severus walked over to his godson to help the child pull off his outer robes. Because Harry’s temperature was so low, he had to wear a tremendous amount of warm clothing to keep the chills away.


“Did you have fun while you were at Hagrid’s?” Severus asked as he disrobed Harry.


“Yeah,” Harry said, shrugging out of his winter robes. “I played with Fang for a bit, but Hagrid wouldn’t let me stay outside too long. And he brought me in so I could have some tea.” 


Once Harry was free of everything, he sat down at the table. It was time for lunch. Severus followed him. Severus knocked on the table, having two plates appear. A plate of a sandwich and crisps for Harry and Shepherd's pie for Severus. He placed two phials beside Harry before sitting down.


Still getting used to magic, Harry gave a slight jump but just smiled at the food. They began eating in silence. 


“Professor,” Harry said. 


“Yes, Harry.”


“When classes start again, will I be able to still come down here?” 


“It is encouraged that children stay with their Houses. To build communities and friendships. It can’t be every day, but I don’t think a couple of days would do harm. Ask your Head of House for permission. Understand?”


“Thanks, Professor,” Harry said, grinning. “Can we ask Professor McGonagall now?”


“I don’t see why not,” Severus said. Since Quirrell was now gone from the castle, he had no qualms about Harry walking the corridors. “You may go after you finish your lunch.”


Harry’s face dropped. He didn’t want to go alone. What if Uncle Vernon showed back up? Harry was a little scared when he walked back from Hagrid’s, but Fang was with him. The thought of going up to Professor McGonagall’s office alone made him feel sick. 


Severus looked at Harry and saw the child’s greyish pallor. He didn’t know where this was coming from. Harry was just ecstatic that he was allowed a few days in his chambers during school. Now, he looked like he would sick up his lunch. Severus got up from his seat, rushing to Harry’s side. He knelt beside the child to get his attention. 


“Harry,” Severus said softly. “What’s wrong? Talk to me.”


“Don’t want to go alone,” Harry whispered. “He’ll come back.”


“Who?” Severus asked. “Who would come back?”


Harry twisted in his chair and wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck, whimpering, “I don’t want to go alone. He’ll come back. He’ll come back.”


Severus didn’t know what Harry was talking about. Deep down, he suspected that whoever this “he” was was the reason Harry ran from the castle. 


“Okay, okay,” Severus soothed, rubbing Harry’s back. “We’ll go together. I promise no one will hurt you.” 


_0_0_0

Remus stood at the gates leading towards the castle. It’d been a long time since he stepped foot on Hogwarts grounds. He was excited and scared—it wasn’t like when he first came. He was afraid of himself. He didn’t know how he would be during the full moon. Would he hurt someone? Would he be able to stay if someone found out? Would anyone be his friend? Those things plagued Remus when he rode that boat starting his first year. 


Now, he wasn’t worried about the same things. He knew how to deal with his changes. He had a few more phials of the Wolfsbane to last him. And it didn’t matter where he was; Snape always managed to find him. When his biggest fear of hurting someone was realized in his sixth year, gratefulness couldn’t equate to how he felt when he learned who was supplying his potions. And even though they didn’t talk to each other in person, the potions never stopped. He’d always wondered what happened to Snape. But he never questioned the man. Remus felt that even though Snape provided the potions for him, he had no right to question the man about his life after what he and the others put him through. He may not have participated much, but he didn’t stop James and Sirius either. And after the incident in the Shack, Remus kept his distance from Sirius and James. Becoming Head Boy the next year, it wasn’t hard not to be around them. But he did become closer to Lily.


Hearing a few children laughing in the distance distracted Remus and caused him to start his final trek towards the castle.


_0_0_0

After Severus got Harry to calm down enough to finish eating, the two of them made their way to Minerva’s office. Harry, though not overly clinging, walked next to Severus. 


Severus figured this might be the best time to ask about what happened a couple of days ago. 


“Harry, your reluctance to see Professor McGonagall alone, does it have something to do with you rushing out of the castle before?”


Severus almost tripped from how fast Harry came to his side. He had to hold on to the child’s shoulders to keep himself upright. He knew he let this linger for too long. If Harry were going to come out of this and be able to navigate the castle, the child would have to overcome his innate fear. 


Severus got on his knees in front of the boy. Harry was already wrapping his fingers in his robe. Releasing the child’s fingers, Severus said, “Harry, I need you to tell me what happened. What scared you?”


“He came,” Harry whined. “He said he was taking me back and putting me in that closet.”


“Who came?” Severus asked.


Harry sucked in his bottom lip and started gnawing on it. Severus carefully removed the abused lip and asked the question again. 


“Who?”


“Uncle Vernon,” Harry whispered. 


Not a name Severus expected to hear. There was no way Harry’s relatives could come to the school. Something must be going on. Whatever Quirrell did to Harry made the child believe his relatives came. 


“Harry, I want you to listen to me,” Severus said. “It is impossible for your relatives to be here. Muggles cannot see the castle. One of the many protections of Hogwarts. I don’t know what happened that made you believe your uncle was here, but I will find out.”


Harry wanted to believe his safety when he said Uncle Vernon wasn’t really here. And he knew his safety would protect him. 


Harry wrapped his arms around Severus’ neck. 


“Alright, spider monkey,” Severus said, patting Harry’s bottom. “Let’s go talk with Professor McGonagall.” He stood up, and the two continued their trek. 


They reached the top of the staircase that led to the dungeons by the Great Hall when the front doors opened. 


“You little Freak,” a voice roared from the front entrance.


Severus flicked his wrist, causing his wand to fall into his hand. 


A shriek came from Harry as he plastered himself to the side of Severus, gripping the man’s robes and hiding his face. 


At first, Severus was puzzled by what he saw, but before he could react, another voice rang out.


“Riddukulus!” 


Uncle Vernon began to shimmer and then change into a puff of smoke before vanishing away.


A man with sandy-brown hair and three jagged scars on one side of his face now stood where the rotund man once was. 


TBC                  

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3599