Atonement & Vengeance by Lady Cascade
Summary: A certain event over the summer forces Harry to leave his relatives earlier than expected. As he struggles with the loss of Sirius and the knowledge of the prophecy, Harry starts off his sixth year with more on his plate than ever before. Surprisingly, he finds an anchor in none other than his least favourite Potions Professor. As these unlikely allies struggle to let go of the past, someone is out for revenge...
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Mean
Genres: Angst, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 6th summer, 6th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Romance/Het, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 16 Completed: No Word count: 68516 Read: 29224 Published: 12 Jul 2020 Updated: 23 Jan 2021
Chapter 6 A Question of Trust by Lady Cascade
When Harry woke next he was unsure of what had woken him. It was still very dark and a quick glance at his watch on the nightstand told him it was 2:15 am. He frowned and tried to remember if he dreamt anything. He could vaguely recall flashes of a circle of Death Eaters and the Cruciatus curse being used multiple times. But any details had drifted away as soon as he woke up. It was probably not a vision then, he surmised.

He shifted in his bed to get comfortable and closed his eyes to try and fall asleep again, but after ten minutes of trying he gave up, now fully awake. Deciding to get up and get some water in hopes of getting himself sleepy again, he threw the sheets off him, got up and left his room. When he got down the stairs and stepped towards the kitchen he stilled, and looked towards the door that led to the drawing room. It was slightly ajar and he could hear hushed voices from within.

Curiosity peaked as he tiptoed closer and moved towards the shadows next to the open door of the drawing room. He heard the sound of someone shaking off some robes and listened closely.

"...told you not to stay up, Lupin? I did not know werewolves had hearing problems." Snape's voice sounded gruff. 

"And I told you I would wait for you Severus, and I am not in the habit of breaking promises," Remus replied.

"Spare me the sentimentalities, wolf. I assure you they are lost on me."

A long silence followed and Harry grew worried that they might have found him out. Just as he wanted to step away and flee, he heard Remus' voice cut through the silence.

"You are hurt."

Snape growled in response. "Obviously."

Harry heard someone plump down on one of the sofas with a grunt. Harry was itching to take a closer look through the small crack between the wall and the door, but feared it would give him away.

"Do you need help?" Remus asked.

"What I need is to be left in peace."

Harry could hear the clinking of potion vials as they were retrieved from a pocket. Snape was probably tending to whatever it was that ailed him on his own. It obviously worked wonders as he heard a long sigh coming from the Potions master half a minute later.

"What was his reason tonight?" Remus asked, ending the second stretch of silence between the men.

Snape scoffed but replied anyway, an obvious sign of the man's exhaustion. "He hardly needs a reason."

Remus sighed at that. "Was there anything useful to be gained from it, at least?"

Snape's voice darkened considerably as he replied. "I report only to the headmaster, Lupin, so stop your infernal interrogation."

"Sorry, Severus. I know you've had a taxing evening," Remus replied a minute later.

Snape huffed in response. Harry could imagine his dark glare directed at Remus. Another silence stretched on and Harry's mind returned to its previous turmoil. Snape had attended a Death Eater meeting, had in fact stood face to face with Voldemort not half an hour ago. He even got hurt because of it. And here he was, calmly sitting in the drawing room of Headquarters and tending to his wounds. Harry had a hard time coming to terms with the stark contrast of the two events.

He was brought back from his thoughts when Snape spoke again in a rather subdued voice.

"He has doubled his efforts to find the boy. He knows he left his relatives' house and I reported that he is not currently at Hogwarts. The Dark Lord has concluded that his best chance of getting to the boy is before the school year begins. It is therefore of great importance that the boy remains inside this house before he can safely be transported to Hogwarts," Snape ended in a strong and demanding tone.

"He will," Remus replied without hesitation.

"See to it that he does. I have little faith in his abilities to follow orders without supervision," Snape said scornfully.

"I will be gone in two days, Severus." Remus said, ignoring the jibe towards his young friend.

"Still on that impossible mission with the wolves?" Snape sneered.

Apparently Remus nodded at that for Harry heard no verbal reply.

"Not to worry," Snape said with a hint of tiredness in his voice. "I will remain at headquarters for the remainder of the summer."

Harry heard some shuffling and figured they were done with their conversation and making their way out of the drawing room. With a flutter of panic he fled to his bedroom as quickly as possible without making a sound. Once inside his bedroom he listened closely until he could hear someone passing his door and continuing up the second flight of stairs. A few breaths later he could hear the soft closing of a door somewhere within Grimmauld Place and he finally let out a breath he just realised he had been holding. He climbed back into his bed and stared unblinkingly at the ceiling, all thoughts of sleeping lost on him as he mulled over the conversation he had overheard.

Snape was an enigma to him. He could not decide for himself what to think of the man. His vile behaviour in general generated little reason to trust him and Harry's experiences with him over the past five years did nothing to mitigate that view on his Potions Professor. Yet there he was, his actions as a spy becoming more and more clear to Harry and he had to admit that the man brought back valuable information for the Order. And he must either be incredibly brave for risking his life for that information, or incredibly stupid.

His thoughts shifted to Remus. The man had confirmed what Harry already suspected. His mission involved other werewolves and Remus was deployed to gain their trust and get them on the right side of the war before Voldemort had a chance to reach them. And Remus was to go back to try again in a couple of days. Harry felt a pang of worry for his former Professor at that thought. Remembering the story of the Southern Raiders, Harry wondered if there was more to be known about them. He wished he could ask Hermione. No doubt she would find out within a few days if he asked. He decided to wait until he was able to ask her in person though, he was pretty sure this was a topic he should not discuss in his owl correspondence.

After replaying the conversation he overheard in his head a couple of times, he felt the sleepiness returning and turned around in his bed to face the wall. He soon drifted off.


--


The following morning Harry and Remus went to prepare breakfast in the kitchen. They met Snape who apparently had already finished his morning ritual of drinking tea and reading newspapers. He shot them a sour look before he got up and left without a word. Remus shrugged at Harry with a grin and moved towards the fridge to get some food.

They had a nice and peaceful morning, talking about things that for once had nothing to do with the Order or the war. They played some chess until Harry led Remus to the attic in the afternoon to show him the "treasures" he had found there earlier. Remus was surprised and excited about them and they spent the rest of the afternoon uncovering more objects.

Harry knew that Remus was to leave the next day so he wanted to spend as much time with his former professor as possible. Remus had not told him yet and Harry wondered if he even would tell him beforehand or if he would just be gone one morning.

When they sat down in the drawing room after dinner the next day, Remus finally came round to telling Harry he was to leave in the morning. Harry acted properly taken aback but relented perhaps quicker than he normally would. Remus seemed relieved at that and Harry felt guilty about having made the man nervous about telling him.

"I will probably not return before you leave for school," Remus said remorseful.

Harry nodded at him, having expected as much. "Will you be able to write to me?"

"I will make sure I can," Remus said with a smile on his face.

The next morning they said their goodbyes as Remus squeezed his shoulders and assured Harry that he would be careful. With a quick wave he was out of the door and Harry was left alone in the dark entrance hall. He felt put out at the departure of the man he considered a close friend and his last connection to his parents and Sirius. He was relieved to know that things between them had not changed since the events at the ministry. Harry felt a stab in his chest at the thoughts that tried to overtake him so he shrugged them off quickly and went to his room to retrieve his schoolbooks, deciding he could not put that off any longer.

The week that followed was filled with homework, writing to his friends and wandering the house and especially the library to find good books to help him write his essays. It was a blissfully Snape-free week as he rarely saw the man. Knowing the man stayed at headquarters to keep his student in check, Harry found it odd that the Potions Professor never showed his face to make sure he was still inside the house. Then again, Harry figured Snape probably had some sort of tracking spell to alert him if Harry so much as stepped a toe outside. 

A few times during the week some Order members would drop by and Harry was glad for the distraction. Staying inside the dark house during the summer and having nothing better to do then homework, he soon became rather bored. Kingsley Shacklebolt came by and Harry learned about some things going on at the Ministry. Apparently it was more important to decide how to resurrect the destroyed monument in the Central Hall than it was to plan strategies for the war with the Death Eaters. Kingsley had explained this with a roll of the eye, and telling Harry it was a very busy time for the Auror department.

Tonks came by later as well, though Harry found her to be very subdued instead of the energetic character she used to be. She didn't say anything about it, but Harry figured she too must have a hard time at work this summer.

It was then that Harry learned that the Weasleys and Hermione would be spending their last days of summer at Grimmauld Place and he could not wait for them to arrive. He longed to be able to talk to someone his own age.

His nightmares had returned since he had woken Snape up that first time, but they were not as bad and he managed not to wake up screaming. He felt a bit disconcerted that he had trouble remembering the details of his dreams. Whereas he would normally be able to vividly picture his dreams after he had woken up, he could now only remember bits and pieces. And he felt unsettled that those pieces almost always contained scenes of Voldemort or his Death Eaters. He couldn't tell if that meant his dreams were not dreams at all but visions sent to him by Voldemort himself. He vowed he would ask Dumbledore about them as soon as he saw the man.

But Dumbledore never came to Grimmauld Place, despite Remus' remark that he would be coming around. In a fit of bewilderment, Harry dared ask Snape when the headmaster was to arrive, but he only got a snarl in return and a comment that Dumbledore was entirely too busy to waste his time on insufferable students such as himself. Harry refrained from commenting that visions from Voldemort would probably top Dumbledore's priority list. But he didn't feel comfortable with the idea of Snape knowing about them, he thought as visions of horrible Occlumency lessons passed his mind.

On the Wednesday before the start of the new school year the Weasleys and Hermione arrived and Harry eagerly waited for them in the hallway. Snape also stood waiting in the back although he looked like he would rather be anywhere else. With a loud bang the front door swung open and Harry was surprised to see Hermione, Ron and Ginny being ushered inside hastily by a grunting Mad-Eye Moody and a frantic looking Arthur Weasley. They were all panting as if they had just run three miles, Hermione's hair was a mess and Ron had a protective arm around his sister. Harry immediately knew something was wrong.

He stepped towards his friends but a firm hand around his upper arm held him back.

"Get back, Potter," Snape growled although it lacked his usual malice. Snape stepped past the teens and questioned Moody about their messy arrival.

Mr. Weasley ushered them towards the kitchen and ordered them to stay put, before he too went back out the hall.

Harry whirled on his friends. "What is going on?"

Hermione spoke first while righting her hair. "We apparated from the Burrow to just across the street. As soon as we arrived Death Eaters appeared as well."

"It's a good thing we had the Order members with us," Ron said. "They acted without hesitation. I'm not sure how many there were as we managed to get inside within seconds."

"But then... that means they know?" Harry asked no-one in particular. "About Headquarters?"

"Headquarters is protected by the Fidelius Charm, which means it is unplottable, even if someone stood right outside the window," Hermione said. Harry wondered, not for the first time, at the workings of that charm.

"Yet, they were there... exactly at the same time we arrived," Ginny said.

Hermione nodded at that with a frown. "Yes, which means they either were here all along, keeping guard around this general area for any sign of the Order, or...," Hermione sat down at the table with a huff. "Or they have found a way to trace our movements."

Harry felt his stomach drop at her suggestion.

"How can they though?," Ron offered and a second later realisation dawned on his face. "Do you mean there is a spy in the Order? I bet you it's Snape!"

"Oh Ron, don't be ridiculous! How many times have we thought Snape to be the bad guy when in fact he saved Harry's live multiple times?" Hermione told Ron with an exasperated sigh.

"I don't trust Snape either, but he has not left the house in weeks and he could not have known you were to arrive today. We only heard two days ago that you were coming," Harry stepped in.

Ron narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "Two days is more than enough time to secretly pass information. There are ways of communication without leaving physically, you know."

Harry acquiesced, having no trouble imagining Snape with his greasy head stuck in the floo, passing on all kinds of information about the Order. Yet he realised he could not completely agree when he thought back to the night Snape returned from a Death Eater meeting, hurt and tired. That could not be an act, right?

Harry was shaken out of his thoughts when the adults entered the kitchen. He was relieved to see that everyone was still in one piece. Mr. Weasley immediately went to his youngest children and put an affectionate arm around them. Harry felt a slight pang of something similar to jealousy so he turned towards the other adults in the room and caught Moody staring at him.

"What happened? Did you get them?" Harry asked.

"No, the bastards fled as soon as we got your lot inside," Moody grunted as he crossed his arms.

"How could they have known we would be there?" Tonks asked no-one in particular.

"They must have stationed men around the area," Kingsley offered.

"Or they were told of the time and place beforehand," Moody said ominously.

Snape stepped out of the doorway, arms crossed in annoyance. "Stop your dramatic insinuations, Moody. If there was a spy in our midst we would not have lasted this long in the war."

"Funny you should say that, Snape. If anyone would know about spying it would definitely be you wouldn't it?" Moody replied turning towards Snape.

"If you have something to say, simply say it," Snape said with disdain while glaring at the old Auror.

"Oh I see right through you and your facade, Snape. I'd watch my back if I were you."

"That ridiculous eyeball of yours sees through anything, so that's hardly an accomplishment."

If the situation was less tense, and if it wasn't Snape, Harry might have snickered at that.

"Enough both of you," Kinsley intervened. "Someone should report this incident to Dumbledore. Severus, if you will?"

Snape nodded curtly and swiftly left the kitchen, looking glad to be rid of their company.

"Now, there is no harm done. Everyone arrived here safely, just as planned. We should get back to the Ministry," Kingsley indicated the rest of the Aurors.

"I'll go too, as soon as Severus returns," Mr. Weasley said.

With a nod, Kingsley and Tonks left. Moody sought Harry's gaze before he left. "Constant vigilance," he said pointedly and swept out the kitchen. Harry frowned and wondered if Moody meant for him to keep an eye out for Snape.

"Why don't you all get settled in," Mr. Weasley told them and ushered them upstairs.

Harry went with Ron to their shared bedroom and sat on his bed while he watched Ron put his things away.

"So," Ron started while dropping his pajamas unceremoniously on his bed. "How's your stay here so far? 

Harry shrugged. "It's been alright, I guess. Just boring when there's no one to talk to."

Ron grinned at him. "Sure, Snape is not the talkative type, is he?"

Harry threw his pillow at him. "Even if he was, I would rather lock myself up in Myrtle's bathroom for a week than exchange more than two sentences with that man."

"So, would I mate."

Harry shifted on the bed, before looking back at Ron. "You don't really think Snape is the spy? For Voldemort's side I mean."

Ron flopped down on his own bed, apparently done with his stuff. "I don't know. I trust that git about as far as I can throw him." He turned his head to look at Harry. "Why?"

Harry quickly told Ron about the night Snape got called to a Death Eater meeting and the conversation he overheard between him and Remus. Ron was frowning by the time Harry finished.

"Well, that sounds like he is on our side after all," Ron said while scratching his nose. "But then, that's what spies are good at right? Making you believe they're on your side, gaining your trust and then..."

CLAP!  Ron clapped his hands hard.

"... they catch you unawares."

"Really, Ron, you're still going on about Snape being on the bad side?"  Hermione said as she and Ginny stepped inside the boys' bedroom.

Ron and Harry quickly retold the story to the girls, but they did not seem as impressed as Ron had.

"See? He's still looking out for you Harry," Hermione said smartly. "Dumbledore trusts him, and so should you."

"Dumbledore could be wrong though. He has never said exactly why he trusts Snape." Harry argued.

Hermione sighed impatiently. "Oh Harry, does that really matter? Even if he was not trusted by Dumbledore, don't you think his actions speak for itself? He has had five years, ample time to off you if he were so inclined. Yes he's been mean and bitter towards you, but he has also saved your live. That, alone, should have eliminated your doubts about him."

The others nodded and Harry had to admit she had a good point.

"You're right Hermione. I should stop worrying about Snape's loyalties before it drives me mad. Besides, there are more important things to worry about." Harry conceded.

"There sure are! What did you get on your OWL"s?" Hermione asked, effectively changing the topic.

Harry frowned. "I didn't get them."

Ginny perked up. "They were probably sent to your aunt and uncle's house. Since you left so abruptly, you must have missed them."

"Right," Harry said. "I'll write to McGonagall then. Perhaps I can get them in time to order the books I need."

"McGonagall will understand if you can't get your school supplies in time before classes start," Hermione said reassuringly.

"McGonagall will, but others, like Snape, won't," Harry said chagrined.

"Well mate, if you're lucky you won't even have to take Potions. I only got an Acceptable on my Potions exam and Snape won't allow students in his NEWT class with less than Outstanding."

Hermione scoffed at Ron's lack of educational ambitions.

"I hope I will not be that lucky then," Harry said with a grin. "I have to take NEWT Potions to be able to become an Auror."

"You probably did fine, Harry. Don't worry about it." Hermione said.

They were called downstairs where Mr. Weasley was about to leave for the Ministry. He promised to be back as soon as he could, but warned them it would probably be an all-nighter.

The four of them spent their day talking about their summer (Ron seemed especially interested in Hermione's stories of the dentist's office of her parents) and playing Exploding Snap. Snape was nowhere to be seen all day.

When dinnertime came around they went to the kitchen and when Harry told them they would have to make their own dinner, Hermione and Ginny stepped up enthusiastically, opening cabinets and pulling out some pasta.

"Harry, could you give me a hand?" Ginny asked, trying to reach for an oven dish from one of the higher cupboards. Harry reached up to take it out, but at that moment his scar flared and he doubled over.

He vaguely registered the clinging and smashing sounds of the cupboard contents as he pressed his hands to his forehead, trying in vain to relieve the pain. He gritted his teeth against the blinding, scorching heat and felt a wave of immense anger wash over him that he was sure was not his. He became aware of hands on his shoulders, guiding him to sit on the floor and lean against the kitchen counter.

"Try to slow your breathing, Potter."

Harry pried his eyes open and stared into Snape's obsidian black orbs. He was crouched before him on the kitchen floor.

"He's furious," Harry blurted out, knowing at once that Snape would understand what he meant.

Something shifted in Snape's eyes, but in a fraction it was gone and Harry was too much in pain to dwell on it. Harry squeezed his eyes shut to try to block out a new wave of pain.

"Look at me," Snape ordered.

Harry obeyed and stared at him. He feared for a moment that the man would legilimize him right there, but he sensed no change in his mind. Instead Snape's deep, never-ending, dark eyes provided an anchor for Harry to hold on to, something to draw his focus away from the immobilizing pain.

Slowly the pain receded and Harry worked on controlling his breathing. Apparently satisfied, Snape backed away and stood up. Ron and Hermione helped him up and sat him down at the table. With the pain gone from his scar, Harry felt exhausted and propped his head up with his hands.

"Do you feel any lingering pain?" Snape asked impassively.

Harry shook his head in denial. Snape nodded curtly and went to dispel the mess in the kitchen.

Ron leaned towards Harry. "Did you..." he glanced furtively at Snape's back. "See anything?" he asked.

"No, it was not a vision. I just felt his anger. Something must have happened to get him in that state," Harry replied as he too glanced at Snape.

But Snape did not offer any explanation. Instead he somehow finished the dinner that Hermione and Ginny had started with a few waves of his wand. He levitated the oven dish, now filled with a steaming hot Lasagna, to the table.

"Eat," he ordered tersely before leaving the kitchen with a billow of his robes.

They stared at the food for a minute before Ron spoke up tentatively. "You think it's safe to eat this?" he asked, apprehension visible on his face.

"I've eaten his food before," Harry said without feeling. "It's fine."

They dug in enthusiastically, except for Harry who pushed his food around his plate.

"Try to eat a little, Harry," Ginny said with a small smile.

"I'm not really hungry," Harry said but took a few bites anyway. Ginny nodded at him in understanding and left it at that.

That night, as he listened to Ron's snoring, he wondered at Voldemort's anger. Knowing from experience, it probably had to do with him. He suddenly realised that Voldemort might have planned to capture him today, when the Death Eaters ambushed his friends. The fact that his followers had failed in that regard might just be what induced Voldemort's wrath now. He pondered for a second whether Snape would be summoned again tonight, for he too had failed to bring Harry to his master.

With that thought in mind Harry lay awake for the greater part of the night, closely listening for any sign that Snape was awake or about to leave the house.

He heard none.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3600