Operation Shylock by Timorous
Summary: A mysterious double of Severus Snape whisks Harry away from the Dursleys and on an adventure. Meanwhile Professor Snape is left to track down the kidnapped boy and put an end to his double.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 3rd summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 6486 Read: 3014 Published: 31 Oct 2020 Updated: 03 Nov 2020
Chapter 2: William Wilson shouts and William Wilson whispers back by Timorous
Severus Snape stood in the backyard of what had once been a well maintained garden and lawn. As of now, the Dursley family had been moved to a safer place by aurors, and at the moment the entire place was perfectly quiet.

The impact site of some sort of now missing object puzzled him. Obviously it was the catalyst to all of this, but the current theory was kidnapping. Severus could see Black making a complete mess, but to a degree such as this and in such a way, it seemed unlikely. And to any other kidnapper, it wasn't quiet nor subtle. It gave them less time to hide and it left more clues than not.

Severus let out a soft sound of thought and carefully approached. The smell, similar to ozone, which was produced by intense magical events, lingered in the air. Footprints littered the area, caused by dimwitted aurors who could care less about preserving it. Crouching down he summoned a small stoppered bottle and collected some of the dirt. Whisking it away, his eyes returned to the crater.

It wasn't large, man sized actually. Severus frowned as he noted the way the dimensions would fit him perfectly. Standing up, he turned away and headed into the house. It was eerily silent, a lone clock ticking in the front room. Everything was astonishingly clean, the decor matched with Petunia's love for pastels and vomit inducing lace, but most curious of all was the lack of photos which indicated the existence of four rather than three people.

He'd toured the entire downstairs, noting the well used step stool in the kitchen, an item which Petunia most certainly had no need for. The last place was a little cupboard under the stairs. Opening it, he was disturbed to see that it had been used as a bedroom. A small, thin mattress from what he would guess was a crib, was on the floor. Stacked in the lowest corner was Potter's trunk, padlocked. The highest side contained a small shelf on which small broken items lay. Closer inspection revealed that they were what he believed to be toys. A little, paper note written in a child's scrawl was taped up. It read "Harry's Room".

Severus felt his stomach turn. He drew back, silently closing the door.

Upstairs was a barren room, an extravagant master bedroom, and then a room which was filled to the brim with useless muggle toys and contraptions. Everywhere were photos of an obese child and his proud parents.

Either the kidnapper had cleared the space of any sign of Harry, or the boy was a ghost in his own home. Severus knew "Tuney" well enough to not put the idea past her.

Any spells he could cast for tracking or tracing would've already been performed by the aurors and their presence meant Harry's and his kidnappers had been obscured at this point.

Severus' journey in the house had ended in the boy's room. The miserable owl was his only company here. As for the other occupants of the room, there were maybe a few sets of clothes, a mangled toothbrush and a threadbare blanket.

Severus had only one recourse, and that was potions. Examining the flat, stained pillow, he drew a single black hair from it and carefully stowed it.

The owl let out a piercing screech, the cage rattling as she attempted to spread her wings in threat. Severus frowned, eyeing the creature. Its amber eyes glared back and he knew the thing would rip him to shreds if it could. It was a curious response, most owls were quite docile unless their familiar was threatened. It made Severus think. He shoved the thought away.

"You want out? Don't you?" he muttered.

The owl's next shriek was louder and more angry.

The creature could be of use. Severus grabbed the cage, casting a quick mufflato on the screeching beast, and then turned on his heel, black robes snapping and fluttering in the wake of his movement.

XxX


Harry had no idea where they appeared. It was, for lack of a better word, positively magical. They were in a cave, a huge cave with ceilings which rose for over a hundred meters into the air. The roof was only visible because thousands, possibly millions, of little floating pinpricks hung in the sky.

“Those are anps, they’re thought to be the children of Anpao and Han.”

Harry looked over at Snape, who was smiling gently down at him, he couldn’t help his own grin from lighting up his face.

Around them boulders, rocks, and strange formations Harry had no names for, rose up in the half darkness. Though the anps burned quite brightly, they were far away and they cast more shadows than they did light.

Severus drew his wand and raised it, bracelets ringing together in the soft silence. The magnificent surroundings were unusually quiet, and Harry couldn’t help but feel that he was intruding. Despite being almost thirteen, he was glad that Severus kept his hand around Harry’s.

They moved forward, silently and carefully, and Harry got the feeling that though this Severus seemed to be relaxed and calm there was something here which shouldn’t be disturbed.

Twisting along a path which seemed to be only known to Severus, the two continued on for several minutes. Harry followed, but as they went and his excitement, though still there, was calmed, his brain kicked back on. There were many questions he had, none of which had been answered. Who was this man? What had he meant by adventure? Did anyone know where he was at? Dumbledore? Ron? Hermione? What if they thought he’d been kidnapped or killed?

Harry was grateful to be away from the Dursleys, but, was this what he wanted instead? Glancing up at the lights above him, he realized with a sudden shock that the ceiling had lowered, and he could now see glittering crystals which were spread across it. He tripped, and the magical view disappeared.

He had clenched his eyes shut, expecting to face plant, but instead he found that he’d been caught, his face pressing against fabric which smelled of lavender and something spicy. Harry pulled back, a flush on his face.

“Best be careful,” the man said, offering Harry a small smile before standing back up and continuing, his hand still wrapped around Harry’s own.

Harry nervously licked his lips, still trying to figure out how his hated potions teacher had turned into this.

“Professor?” Harry hazarded, half expecting his angry teacher to make a reappearance.

“Professor?” Severus said, startled, a small chuckle escaping him.

He turned around and Harry shrank back, wary.

“Sir?” he tried, thinking that maybe the man didn’t like his first attempts to address him.

“I don’t think anyone’s ever called me a professor before,” Severus chuckled.

“Oh, but, aren’t you-” Harry frowned, trying to understand. Was this not Professor Snape?

“Shh,” the man held his fingers to his lips, stiffening as he crouched low, his wand already drawn.

Harry frowned, not exactly sure why the man was shushing him. He had so many questions, ones which still hadn’t been answered. But all the same, he kept his mouth shut and listened.

He heard nothing at first, then something which sounded like water running against stones, there was an odd quality to it which Harry couldn’t identify, like it wasn’t a fixed stream. It sounded like the water was moving around, the stream switching places. Harry opened his mouth to speak but a hand shot out and he found himself being brought closer.

“I’ll need you to wear this,” Severus whispered, the lavender smell even stronger this close to the man, almost too strong.

Harry gave a little nod, not entirely sure what “this” was. He saw it a moment later, a silken black strip of cloth that Severus quickly brought up and drew around his eyes and head, glasses being drawn off before Harry could protest. With his sight gone, Harry could hear the sound of the running water grow closer, his own breathing speeding up. Severus’ fingers tied the knot and the black cloth was secured. The lavender smell disappeared as Severus drew back and Harry felt terror seize him.

Something was getting closer, and Severus had left. He had to defend himself, somehow, but his wand! It was still in his trunk, along with anything else he could defend himself with. Groping out, Harry held back his desire to cry out. He had to move, quickly, he didn’t know what was in the cave with him, but he felt like it was after them.

Then as suddenly as the man had left, Severus was back, hand finding Harry’s and his head dipped down so that he was whispering in Harry’s ear.

“It’s alright, you’re alright Harry,” he reassured.

Harry gulped, realizing that his breaths had become sharp and fast. He took in a deep breath and let it out shakily. Having Severus closer made him feel better, but the sound of the running water was still loud, and it was still growing louder. Harry clutched at Severus’ hand, hoping the man wouldn’t let go and leave again.

“Just don’t let go of me, and whatever you do, don’t take off your blindfold.”

Then the sound abruptly stopped. It was dead silent in the cave, and for a moment, Harry felt like maybe he’d imagined the strange noise.

“Who are you?”

A woman’s voice hissed through the air, light and airy, the words almost musical.

It was silent, Harry felt Severus squeeze his hand.

“Have you come for me, or for my treasures?”

Harry wasn’t sure he should talk, or if he should do anything at all.

“I am Severus Tobias Snape, peacekeeper of the universe, explorer of dimensio-”

“SPEAK!” the woman roared.

Severus stopped speaking unfortunately and for a moment it was silent again. Harry felt his stomach twist with tension.

“I apologize, I am Severus Snape, I’ve come for something by which I believe only you can help me.”

“If you cannot speak to me, then I will eat you vermin. I am Unhcegila, and I do not like when small creatures disturb me.”

Harry had a bad feeling that neither this woman, or possibly creature, nor Severus could understand each other. But how could Harry?

“Please, is there anyway for you to understand me?” Severus tried again.

The woman did not speak, instead an angry hiss issuing from her and the sound of the running water starting again. Cold air blew on them, and Harry had a feeling that the woman was done waiting on Severus to start speaking her language. Severus kept talking, switching into languages Harry didn’t know, meanwhile the running water grew louder and louder. Harry’s heart beat quicker, and his lungs seemed to seize up as the cold grew sharper.

“WAIT!” Harry cried.

Severus stiffened, his hand tightening in Harry’s. The sounds disappeared again.

“You speak, little one?” the woman said.

Harry nodded his head vigorously.

“I-I’m Harry, this is my friend, Severus.”

There was a soft humm from the woman and Harry felt the air around him grow warmer.

“I haven’t had a visitor in quite some time. Why are you here?” she didn’t sound angry, or frightening anymore, but Harry was worried that might change if he didn’t have an answer.

He tugged at Severus and the man leaned down.

“She wants to know why we’re here,” he whispered.

“Ah, of course she does,” Severus whispered back, “tell her that I merely need a scale of hers.”

Harry frowned. That seemed rude to demand a scale. And what did he mean scale? Was this woman actually a reptile or some sort? A snake?

“You’re talking? Your friend does not speak my language, does he?”

Harry shook his head, then realized that a verbal response might be better.

“Erm, no, he doesn’t. We’re here for a scale, one of yours.”

The snake woman was quiet, but the air stayed warm.

“Why?” she asked, voice curious, “My scales can hardly be of any use.”

Harry tugged on Severus again, “she wants to know what you want to use them for.”

Harry himself wanted to know.

“Just tell her that they’re for a potion.”

“They’re for a potion.”

There was a long, raspy sigh and water seemed to trickle quietly for just a moment. Then it was still once again.

“I don’t care if you take one, just,” she paused, “I want you to look at me.”

Harry frowned, remembering what Severus had said about the blindfold. But they must need this scale, and the woman seemed kind enough. Harry gave a small nod, reaching a hand out.

Warm fingers pressed against his out-held palm, he flinched a little, but the soft skin of her fingertips skated pleasantly over him, seeming to warm him up. Letting go of Severus’ hand, he reached up and tugged at his blindfold. The cloth fell.

In front of him was was strange cloudy mass, in the center of which was the face of a woman, nearly enshrouded by the smoke, her eyes bright like flames. She was looking at him with curiosity, and Harry was doing the same to her. Then their eyes met. Harry felt his breath leave him, body becoming suddenly light, the world spun and turned black and then he was gone.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3623