Smoke and Mirrors by JewelBurns
Summary: Sequel to The Choices We Made.

With Voldemort dead and Harry's cancer settling life should be returning to normal for Harry and Snape but things aren't always as they seem. Instead they find themselves challenged in new ways. When dangerous events start after Harry's return to Hogwarts can Snape figure out what's going on before they're torn apart again? HPSS mentor Healing/Coping
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Dudley, Hermione, Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Out of Character Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Secretive
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, General, Hurt/Comfort, Mystery
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Azkaban Character, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry
Takes Place: 7th summer, 7th Year
Warnings: Alcohol Use, Character Death, Out of Character, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Choices We Made Universe
Chapters: 84 Completed: No Word count: 697412 Read: 516239 Published: 15 Nov 2020 Updated: 30 Sep 2023
Last "Event" and Reveal Arc by JewelBurns
Author's Notes:
So this one takes a little different format since I didn't have the chapters planned out. I have sections that show what each main event would have been and it's written in more paragraph format which should make easier reading here.

The last "event" - Post BMT

 

 


(Off screen - quarters searched**)



 

 

 

 


The Reveal:

Everyone is back at Spinner's End rotating care for Harry. Lupin or Snape are always there, with his friends visiting after school – using the sterilizing spell and Muggle masks/isolation gowns.

(Connecting the dots)

Hermione's material: Hermione was visiting the night before and left her growing portfolio for her newspaper job out on the sitting room table. The portfolio contains various newspaper clippings throughout the decades with Hermione's notes on each one. Sitting near the top of the pile is the NYE article from the first war that Hermione showed to Harry.

While listening to a message from Mae Snape is casually looking over Hermione's journal/study material: Mae pauses mid message to answer a knock at the door and Williamson's voice is heard asking about her coming down to the Ministry. At the exact same time Snape recognizes the girl from cave (Caroline Jennois) sitting next to Williamson in the newspaper article – he has a flashback of the girl screaming on the cave floor as they (the Death Eaters - Snape, Lucius, Jugson, Gibbons) tortured her to her death, leaving Ash & Talpin to "clean up the mess" – *Snape is suspicious* 'no, it can't be'...

Mae through the phone: yeah, I remember. You work with Kingsley, right…"

Flips the newspaper page over to a picture of Williamson and the girl dancing, they stop to smile at the camera, then she leans over and kisses Williamson… Snape's eyes move to read the caption "Auror Mark Williamson and new fiancé [Caroline Jennois] share a kiss to ring in the promise of a New Year" Snape connects all of the deaths to the people present on the night Williamson's girlfriend was murdered, right as Mae's message abruptly ends.

Next chapter: opens with Snape telling Lupin (with Harry) about Williamson and that he probably has Mae. Harry begs to go with (if Mae's hurt I have to help. Snape snaps at him to keep his Gryffindor courage in line for once in his life!) Snape immediately goes to DMLE. Mae is not there and neither is Williamson. Kingsley confirms that no one requested Mae's presence. Goes to Malfoy Manor. Narcissa is missing too – the dissolving spell that had been tried on the grounds of Malfoy Manor worked while Narcissa was in the garden! Snape tells Lucius what he knows about Williamson. Lucius questions: how does he know who was there? Why now? Why all the other stuff: Slytherin common room, magical creature, Jessica's death? Where would he have taken them?

Snape: We killed his fiancé in the cave…

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3628