The Gifted Apprentice by snapesangel
Summary: After 1st year, Harry is warned by Dobby not to return to Hogwarts. He runs away and is gone for nearly a year before he is tracked down/rescued by Snape. His enrollment is revoked, so he can only stay at Hogwarts if he's taken on as an apprentice. Can Prof. Snape's firm hand mentor him and help him prepare for his future?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Master Snape > Apprentice Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Runaway
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Physical Punishment Non-Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 54429 Read: 25104 Published: 05 Jan 2021 Updated: 14 Jun 2021
Chapter 3: Return to Hogwarts by snapesangel

Harry nearly crumpled to the ground. Snape was glad he had a firm grasp on the boy when they reappeared in front of Hogwarts.

"Stand up straight, Potter."

He felt like a ragdoll in his hands. It was clear Harry had never apparated. He pulled him up on his feet—not exactly gently—but with precision and care.

The boy felt light in his hands. Way too light.

Snape gave him a moment to orient himself before he spoke again, recognizing that the boy was obviously in a pretty poor state.

"If you're feeling better, we'll be on our way." Snape loosened his grip on Harry's arms and released him once he was sure the boy wouldn't fall over.

Harry stayed silent as they made their way back to the castle. He was relieved to be back at Hogwarts, and now that he was fairly sure that Snape wasn't carting him off to Voldemort (at least not at the moment), he could feel the tension leaving his body. Now all he felt was exhaustion. Like he'd been hit by a truck.

The two walked in silence as they approached the doors, Snape holding him gently (but firmly) by his wrist.

He wasn't in the mood for any hysterics. He definitely refused to chase the boy any more this evening, so he felt it was wise to at least keep one hand on the boy to remind him exactly who was in charge.

Not totally unfeeling, Snape slowed his gate enough so that Harry could keep up with him and not feel like he was being dragged.

"It's late. I'm taking you directly to Madame Pomfrey and we'll talk about everything tomorrow."

"But I'm fine," Harry whined, looking up at Snape."Why can't I just sleep in my dorm?"

Harry stopped moving his feet, pulling back on his arm making a rather poor attempt to free himself from Snape.

Snape wasn't having it. He turned around and gave the brat a glare. "Don't even think of throwing a tantrum, Potter, it's not up for debate," Snape snapped sharply. "Now move your feet."

They moved toward the castle again. Snape held his lips in a hard line and did everything he could not to completely lose it at the kid.

"You are clearly very exhausted, and unless you somehow qualified as a healer during your little Rumspringa, I don't believe your opinion here is relevant. Madame Pomfrey will examine you and we'll make decisions from there."

"There's nothing wrong with me." Harry mumbled, loud enough to be heard but low enough that he hoped Snape didn't think he was arguing. He could sense, as usual, that his professor wasn't to be pushed tonight.

He thought back briefly to that smack he'd gotten on the beach and his face reddened. No, Professor Snape clearly meant business tonight, he would not tempt fate. Besides, he was too damn tired.

"Well, if that is indeed the case, then you should be out of the Hospital Ward tomorrow." Snape gave a little pull on his arm for good measure. "Now stop dawdling, it's late."


Madame Pomfrey and Dumbledore were waiting inside the hospital wing when they arrived. On seeing Harry, they both sprung up from their seats and rushed toward the boy.

"Harry, my boy! We're so glad you're safely back at Hogwarts. I imagine you're quite tired, so I won't keep you tonight, but I just wanted to see you for myself."

Although the twinkle was back in his eyes, the concern and stress was still evident on his face. He gave Harry a gentle pat on the back.

"Try and rest tonight, we will talk more tomorrow."

Dumbledore looked at Snape and gave him a tight squeeze on his shoulder. Snape gave him a nod and the two exchanged a look that said more than words could probably say in that moment. Relief peppered with a sense that their work was far from over.

"Goodnight sir, I'll see you tomorrow."

Harry was a bit embarrassed to be standing in front of the Headmaster. Not only because he had disappeared without explanation for nearly a year, but because he knew he was in a right state. He looked down at his dirty, torn clothes and cringed. He wouldn't even THINK about what he must look like to everyone. He felt every bit like the orphan he was.

"Severus, thank you for bringing him back here safely. I'll be in my office when you're done here." And with that, Dumbledore took his leave.

"Oh Harry, we've been worried sick!" Madame Pomfrey rushed to his side, looking him up and down and soaking in the pathetic state the boy was in.

"You've given us quite the scare, Harry. I don't know what you've been up to, but you have a lot to answer for young man," she scolded mildly. "But not tonight, let's just get you settled now, hmm?"

As Madame Pomfrey fussed over the boy, Snape recognized that his work here was done.

"Thank you, Poppy. I'm going to stop by to see Albus, but I'll be in my quarters if you need anything. I look forward to hearing a full report tomorrow."

Snape turned Harry toward him so he could look him in the eye. "Behave yourself, Potter. I mean it. I expect you to be cooperative with Madame Pomfrey. And don't even think of stepping one foot outside of the Hospital Ward. Am I clear?"

"Yeah, I get it."

"You might also want to take this time to remember your manners, Mister Potter. When I see you tomorrow I better be hearing you address me properly."

He paused for effect, and focused a hard look at the boy. "That would be 'Sir' or 'Professor'- just in case your little sabbatical as a street urchin has affected your memory."

"Yes, sir."

Snape turned toward Madame Pomfrey "He'll obviously need a bath and probably some food, but I'll leave him in your capable hands."

"Of course, Severus! Don't you think I know how to do my job after this many years?"

"I have the utmost confidence in your care."

Snape headed for the door pausing only to send another warning. "I mean it, Potter. You had better be on your best behavior. Get some rest."

And with that, Snape left them for Dumbledore's office.


"Well, why don't we get you out of these clothes and into the bath, first," she said while gently leading him toward the bathroom at the back of the ward.

Pointing her wand at the tub, she filled it up with warm water and added in some soaking salts and soothing potions. "I'll bring in a fresh pair of pajamas and there are new toothbrushes and toothpaste in the drawers."

There was no one else in the ward, but she knew as a teenage boy he probably wanted some privacy, so she left Harry to undress by himself, keeping the door open just enough that she could hear when he got in.

Harry peeled the dirty clothes off of him. The tub looked so inviting, he was thrilled to be climbing in. It had been a long time since he'd had a relaxing bath. In fact, he couldn't even remember when he had last soaked in a tub.

As soon as he set himself down, the water turned a brownish gray. I'm disgusting, he thought. But then he just laid back for a moment and closed his eyes.

Hearing Harry in the tub, Madame Pomfrey returned to the bathroom to place clean towels and a fresh pair of pajamas on the counter. "There should be soap and shampoo by the tub, Harry. Take your time, but please clean yourself well. You look like you haven't been clean in months."

She cast her wand at the water and added some bubbles and clean water to the tub. Mostly for his modesty, but also because she could tell he needed to feel a little luxurious right now.

Poor boy, she thought, he looks like he's been to hell and back. 

Harry's mind was all over the place. On the one hand, he'd never been so happy to be back at Hogwarts, but he also knew that whatever danger was lurking before, was likely still waiting for him. He wanted to see his friends. Would they be mad at him for running away without telling them? What's going to happen with school? Oh shit, what about the Dursleys? Is he officially an orphan again?

It was too much. He would think about it tomorrow. Right now he just wanted to lay back and soak. It felt so so good.


Snape made quick and determined strides down the hall to Dumbledore's office. He would have liked to have avoided this conversation tonight, but there was no way around it. He had no idea what they were going to do with the boy now that he was here, and they needed a plan before things went off the rails entirely.

"Toffee Tiddlywinks" purred Snape, rolling his eyes as he waited for the door to open.

"Come in, Severus, come in." Dumbledore was standing behind his desk, hand feeding some snacks to Fawkes. He turned toward Severus and beckoned him in with his free hand.

Snape tossed himself into a chair, letting out a deep sigh. "Well, the Wonder Boy has done it again. He's managed to somehow survive this ridiculous adventure."

His words were flippant, but he was hugely relieved, and even feeling a big smug for having tracked the boy down before anyone else could get to him.

"Well done, Severus. Truly, I can't thank you enough for all you've done to get Harry back here safely."

"Remind me, was there a reward listed on his Wanted poster? Surely the brat must be worth at least a few thousand galleons?" he said letting a smirk cross his lips.

Dumbledore smiled. "Surely, there is no greater reward than knowing we have brought the boy back safely, and the future of the Wizarding World is forever in your debt."

"Indeed, I'm sure they'll be lining up at my feet to shower their praise." Snape closed his eyes for a moment before looking back up at the older wizard.

"So, now what? The term is nearly over, and I imagine now that this episode in Brighton has -for no better words-"blown up," I'm not sure what we can do with him."

Dumbledore finally sat down at his desk. "Ah yes, I've been thinking that over and I may have a solution."

"Go on." Snape could hear in his tone that this might not be something he wants to hear, but as usual, he probably wouldn't have much of a say in the matter.

"Well, Harry is not going to be able to rejoin his classmates at this point. We can't keep him at Hogwarts if he isn't enrolled as a full-time student, so I considered the idea of an apprenticeship."

Dumbledore braced himself for Snape's response, but when none came, he continued. "It hasn't been done in over a hundred years, but it will keep him on Hogwart's grounds where he can be safe. And hopefully, out of the Ministry's meddling.

"And what of his studies? He's only 12. He's had practically no magical education. He couldn't possibly focus on one thing to the exclusion of everything else. Not to mention he lacks the maturity and focus for an apprenticeship at this age."

"Precisely!" Dumbledore said with a smile. "As a junior apprentice to one of our own staff, he would still have plenty of time to do independent study while he catches up on his coursework. And apprenticed to the right person, he would be able to explore several subjects in greater depth. Assuming, that is, that his mentor was someone who possessed the right skills and qualifications."

Snape just stared at Dumbledore, willing him with the arch of an eyebrow to carry on.

"I see. And who did you have in mind? Whomever it is would have to have an extraordinary wellspring of patience and tenacity if they're going to be taking on Potter. He lacks the smallest amount of self-discipline, I'm not sure he could possibly apply himself to an apprenticeship and independent study without everything falling apart."

Snape was sure he'd need a firewhisky to continue this conversation. But alas, Dumbledore wasn't much of a drinker, so he'd have to wait until he made it back to his own quarters for that.

"As usual, Severus, you are correct. This is not a job for just anyone. Harry can't possibly return to the Dursley's after this, so the apprenticeship would come with the responsibilities of being a guardian as well. And there are very few-in fact, really just one-I would consider trusting completely to do this job."

Here it comes, Snape thought. "Do tell."

"There's no one else here that could I would trust to do this besides you, Severus. There's no one else who could keep him safe, teach him, and train him to become the wizard we know he needs to become. Not to mention, as a qualified Potion's Master, you're one of the only members of staff who could legally take on an apprentice."

Dumbledore looked at Snape, trying desperately to read his face. But Snape's poker face was too good. His mind was reeling, but he gave nothing away on the surface.

"I see."

Snape willed himself to stay calm. He knew, of course, that Dumbledore had very good reasons. He also knew there was little alternative if they were going to keep Harry safe within the confines of the castle. Nonetheless, he could think of a million reasons why this was a terrible, if not extremely inconvenient solution.

He took a dramatic breath in and out and waited for Dumbledore to squirm and beg. He wanted the old man to convince him that this was the only choice and ultimately, he had no option. He would not agree to this flat out, the logistics of it were too horrific to accept on the first go around.

"I know I've already asked a lot of you, Severus, but without Harry, all of your sacrifices will have been for nothing. At the end of the day we need him to be safe, healthy, and prepared. You're the only one who can do this."

This conversation had not been completely unexpected. He had been considering the possibilities for months, running through potential scenarios for what they would do if they were able to successfully recover Harry. But it bothered him deeply that Dumbledore was so focused on Harry's role in the future, that he wasn't fully appreciating all of the difficulties that lie ahead.

"I have absolutely no interest in taking the boy on as an apprentice." Snape said matter of factly, making his displeasure apparent but knowing it would be difficult to flat out refuse.

"You realize, Albus, that this will not be a simple exercise. Harry requires MUCH more than just learning some spells and potions. Merlin knows what he's been up to this year, but he is clearly not well. He was spoiled and arrogant to begin with, now he's been out on the streets for a year, and I don't think he's going to merrily agree to being magically bound to me-or anyone for that matter-until he graduates from Hogwarts."

Snape closed his eyes and took another deep breath.

"The boy completely lacks any focus or self-discipline. I also have reason to believe that his despicable attitude and emotional outbursts are related to some kind of neglect and abuse at the hands of the Durselys. That's not going to be an easy fix, and frankly, I don't think I'm the right person for it."

"I think you're mistaken, Severus. I think there's a lot more than potions and defensive spells that you could teach Harry. I also think that if he were under your guidance and care, you might be able to reign in some of these...less desirable character traits."

"I'm not a tolerant man, Albus! He needs a lot more than I can give him," the vitriol coming out in his tone. "I can provide him with structure and discipline- but I will NOT coddle him and indulge his emotions. For Merlin's sake, the boy can't even make it through a simple potion's class without some kind of outburst or cheek! You and I both know that an apprenticeship will not afford him any leniency."

Snape was trying not to be irrational, but he was frustrated and angry. Part of him knew that there was no other real option, but it felt supremely unfair.

"I wouldn't ask this of you if I didn't think you could do it. And if I didn't think it was the most important thing that you will ever do."

Now Dumbledore was playing his ultimate trump card: emotional blackmail.

"Severus, I know you haven't always been fond of the boy-"

Snape cut him off and sat up in his chair. "Fond of the boy? Really, Dumbledore? You know he's been nothing but trouble since he walked in the door. He's exactly like his father- his arrogance and selfishness has no bounds!"

"He's Lilly's son too. You seem to forget that. And she and James both died so that he could live. I would think you of all people might have some appreciation for that."

There it was. Checkmate. Dumbledore knew that he couldn't possibly respond with anything convincing after that.

"Harry is not just any boy, Severus. You and I both know he has an important role to play, and we must do our part so that he can do his."

There was no arguing with Dumbledore after this. Snape might be pissed, but he was backed into a corner. There was no way out of this.

Still refusing to give him an answer, Snape got up from the chair. "I will need to reflect on this before I give you my decision. If this is going to possibly work, I'm going to have a list of demands. We will do things my way. I will not agree otherwise."

"Goodnight, then, Severus. And thank you."

Snape said nothing as he walked out the door. Let the old man stew in uncertainty a bit. Now what he needed a glass of firewhisky and a few hours solid sleep.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3638