The Gifted Apprentice by snapesangel
Summary: After 1st year, Harry is warned by Dobby not to return to Hogwarts. He runs away and is gone for nearly a year before he is tracked down/rescued by Snape. His enrollment is revoked, so he can only stay at Hogwarts if he's taken on as an apprentice. Can Prof. Snape's firm hand mentor him and help him prepare for his future?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Master Snape > Apprentice Harry, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Dumbledore
Snape Flavour: Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Runaway
Takes Place: 2nd summer
Warnings: Physical Punishment Spanking, Physical Punishment Non-Spanking
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 54429 Read: 25111 Published: 05 Jan 2021 Updated: 14 Jun 2021
Chapter 4: Snape Comes to Terms by snapesangel

As soon as Snape returned to his quarters, he poured himself a generous glass of firewhiskey. He rarely indulged himself like this—especially in the middle of the week—but he needed to take a few moments to himself after a long and draining day.

He sat on his favorite armchair sipping his drink while the fire flickered in front of him. His mind was reeling; not only with feelings and emotions that he usually shoved deep inside, but also with the impending doom of Dumbledore's request.

Snape had never liked the boy- he was disrespectful, lazy, and willfully disobedient. Just looking at his face was enough to conjure up some of his worst memories of James Potter, and as irrational as it was, it added to his disdain. The boy ran around the castle without any respect for the rules, not only putting himself in danger, but risking the safety and lives of everyone around him...just like his father had. It was hard not to draw the comparison.

It pissed Snape off that Dumbledore, and even McGonagall, seemed to let Harry get away with everything, and at times even encouraged his dreadful behavior. Honestly, giving him points for running after a mountain troll? And 50 points for nearly getting himself killed going after the Philosopher's Stone? Infuriating.

At the same time, Snape knew what the boy represented and how important he was. And while Snape could sometimes be a petty and bitter man, he took his commitments and duties very seriously. He had made promises to Dumbledore—and in his heart, to Lily—that he would protect Harry and dedicate his life to the destruction of the evil that threatened them all.

He kept these promises because at his core, he was an honorable man. A flawed and imperfect man, one who had made mistakes in the past, but one who lived to redeem himself. He wanted to do right by the boy and he was determined not to let his personal feelings get in the way of fulfilling his duty.

Snape took a long sip of the firewhisky and let out a deep sigh. He knew he would have to take Harry as his apprentice. It was truly the only way the boy would be safe and able to resume his studies. The potion's professor was confident in his ability to teach him everything he needed to know- to train and prepare him for all of the inevitable unpleasantness that laid ahead. The greatest challenge would be with himself.

If he put his own feelings about the boy (and his father) aside, he knew that Harry deserved better than the lot he'd been given in life. Although he didn't know much about the details of his life before Hogwarts, after Harry had run away he'd heard rumblings from McGonnagal and the Weasleys. The boy must have had a good reason to leave his relatives. Or maybe the boy was just an arrogant brat who decided he knew better than everyone else and wanted to live without any rules so that he could do as he pleased.

Either way, in Snape's mind there was no excuse for what Harry had done. Having had a pretty horrific childhood himself, Snape understood the urge to run away...he had wanted to leave his own home a thousand times while growing up. But to actually do it, without telling anyone, especially given what the boy knew about the dangers he faced, was truly idiotic.

Halfway through his glass of whiskey, Snape was feeling a little bit better. He had locked back up all of the uncomfortable emotions (his guilt, his regrets, his memories of Lily and his own horrible childhood) and was storing them tightly away into the dark recesses of his mind. This is where he could control them-and preferably-avoid them. If he allowed them to float around freely, he would never function. He was a master of compartmentalization.

Snape finished his drink and went to bed, lamenting the late hour and cursing the fact that he never seemed to get enough sleep.


Back in the Hospital Wing, Harry had bathed and eaten, and Madame Pomfrey was packing him into bed. The diagnostic spells hadn't shown anything surprising- he was underweight and vitamin deficient with some minor scrapes and bruises, and some old healed injuries. These could be easily remedied, but it was his psychological and emotional state that truly concerned her.

"Harry, are you sure you had enough to eat? You're very underweight" Madame Pomfrey asked as she filled a spoon with an ugly brown potion and pushed it toward his face. "Here, take this, it is just a nutrient supplement."

Harry scrunched his nose and looked at the disgusting liquid being forced in his direction. "Um, I'm quite full, actually. Do I really need to take that, it looks gross."

Madame Pomfrey tilted her head and glared at him, urging him to open his mouth. "It's important, Harry, please don't make a fuss. I'd like to be able to tell Professor Snape that you've been a model patient. Now be a good boy and open up."

Harry rolled his eyes, he hated being talked to like a baby. But he also didn't want to incur the wrath of Madame Pomfrey or Snape, so he swallowed the spoonful of potion without further complaint.

"Yuck" he murmured under his breath, tilting his head down so he could scowl to himself. He adjusted his face and then looked up sweetly at Madame Pomfrey "Can I have some water, please?"

"Of course, Harry. Do you want me to get you some Dreamless Sleep? You look quite exhausted and you've been through a lot, it would do you some good to get a long night of rest." She looked at the boy with a maternal concern in her eyes.

Harry smiled back at her. "No thanks, I'll be OK. Just some water would be good." He climbed under the covers and settled into the bed.

Madame Pomfrey brought him a glass of water and set it down on the table beside him before pulling his covers up a bit and patting his head gently.

"Try to get some sleep now, Harry. And if you need anything, just give us a shout."

Harry took his glasses off and put them on the table next to the water glass. As the lights dimmed in the hospital ward, he snuggled into his pillow and closed his eyes. He felt so good being clean, well-fed, and in a comfortable bed. He had forgotten just how comfortable a real bed could be. Even though there was a lot on his mind, the exhaustion in his body took over, and nearly as soon as he'd closed his eyes, he fell fast asleep.


The next morning came too soon for Snape. He didn't have his first class until the afternoon, but with Harry back in the castle, there was a lot to do.

He showered and dressed himself back in his teaching robes, taking his time doing up the many buttons of his frock coat. It was like a meditation for him. He was a precise and exacting person-his shirts and pants were always ironed to perfection-and the act of putting himself together each morning helped him feel prepared and in control.

He looked at himself in the mirror to make sure everything was perfect before giving himself a nod and a short internal pep talk. You've got this, Severus. There is no one who can do this job better than you. Keep it together.

With a flick of his wand, he extinguished the lights in his quarters and walked out the door. As soon as he hit the hallway, he put on his Professor face. It wasn't exactly a scowl, but it was certainly not inviting, warm, or friendly. He kept his jaw tight and his eyes narrow, and he walked with his head up, his chest out, and his stride brisk and authoritative. Any students that had the misfortune of being in the hall when he walked by would quickly scurry to get out of his way. No one would dare attempt idle chatter. Just the way he liked it.

Snape stopped first at the Hospital Ward, quietly making his way inside, hoping the Potter brat was not yet awake.

Madame Pomfrey waved him back to her office, putting a finger over her mouth to signal that Harry was still sleeping and he should be quiet.

Excellent, Snape thought to himself, I may still get a few more Potter-free hours. He walked quietly into her office and flicked his wand in a quick circle, enveloping the two of them with a silencing charm. He definitely didn't want to risk waking the boy just yet.

"Poppy," he nodded. "How was your night?"

"Everything went smoothly, Severus. Harry's been sleeping rather soundly since I put him to bed last night," she said as she glanced over at Harry's bed where the boy was curled up on his side, long dark hair falling over his face.

Snape glanced over at the boy, thinking to himself how small and frail he looked lying in the bed like that. He really was just a child. So innocent looking when his eyes and mouth are shut and he's not causing any trouble. False advertising. 

Snape crossed his arms and leaned casually against the wall of Madam Pomfrey's office. "So, what did you find?"

Madame Pomfrey picked up a parchment from her desk and read it over. "The diagnostics showed he was severely underweight for his age. He's slightly anemic and has several nutrient deficiencies including iron, several B-vitamins, and Vitamin C. I've given him a nutrient supplement that he should continue for the next few months."

She put the paper down and looked up at Snape. "Although, I'm not sure he's going to like hearing that, he did not enjoy taking it last night."

Smirking, Snape let out a little huff. "Whether he likes it or not, he will take it every day. I will not allow him to come down with scurvy because he's too stubborn to take a potion."

"Oh Severus, Harry is a good boy, I'm sure if I explain it to him, he'll take it without a fuss." She playfully slapped at his shoulder.

Snape raised his eyebrow at her playfully. "He'd better if he knows what's good for him. Did you find anything else?"

She scanned down her parchment "He's got a few minor bruises and abrasions all over him, but no major injuries. I've also treated him for scabies, he had bites all over his hands and legs. Other than that, no new injuries."

"Any old ones?" Snape asked, his face narrowing slightly with concern. He tried to lean over to read the parchment but Madame Pomfrey snatched it away from his prying eyes.

"Nothing to be concerned about. A broken wrist a young boy. It doesn't look like it was ever set properly, but it's hard to know with Muggle healers, they don't have the same resources available to them. Other than that and some chronic signs of poor nutrition, there's not much else."

"Thank you, Poppy. Let the boy sleep as long as he can, we'll be back later to talk to him. It will go much more smoothly for everyone if he's not sleep-deprived."

And with a curt nod, Snape walked quietly out of the hospital ward, taking one last glance at the small sleeping figure of Harry Potter before making his exit.


Snape's next stop was Dumbledore's office, where they would finalize all of their plans for The Boy Who Lived.

He ran into the Headmaster in the hallway beneath the stairs. "Good morning, Severus, I hope you've slept well." Dumbledore reached out and put a hand on Snape's arm, and the two walked up the stairs toward the Headmaster's office together.

Dumbledore paused as the door flew open "After you, professor." He gestured to Snape who walked through the door and took a seat. Dumbledore followed closely behind, closing the door gently before taking his own seat behind his desk.

"Tell me, Severus, did you have time to think about what we've discussed." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled in hope and anticipation as he crossed his hands in front of them on the desk.

"I did, Albus." Snape said, looking at him directly in the eyes and allowing the silence to hang in the air for a moment before he continued. "Regrettably, I see no other solution."

Dumbledore let a huge smile cross his lips. "That is excellent news, my boy! I think Harry will learn a lot from you. This is a most wonderful outcome."

It is most definitely the worst possible outcome. Snape cringed to himself before he opened his mouth to speak. "As I mentioned last night, Headmaster, I will only agree to it if my conditions are met. I would like to flesh out the details of this arrangement now, before we talk to Potter."

"Of course." Dumbledore said, nodding in agreement. "I think that's the best idea. I also want to have everything worked out so that we can deal with the paperwork as soon as possible. As you can imagine, I've already heard quite a bit from the Ministry regarding this whole mess. Harry cannot return to the Dursleys, the blood wards have broken and they have renounced custody. If we do not get this taken care of quickly, the Ministry will take him into care and they will have control over what happens to the boy."

Dumbledore flicked his wand at the desk and a tea set appeared. He poured two cups and offered one to Snape who graciously accepted it.

"Milk? Sugar?" Dumbledore offered.

Snape shook his head. "No, thank you." He took a slow sip of his tea, waiting for the Headmaster to continue.

"I'm afraid that the Ministry of Magical Education has revoked Harry's enrollment since he didn't show up at the beginning of the year, and he had not appealed to the Board of Governors to request permission for absence. As you know, Lucius Malfoy heads this board and he's been quite vocal about refusing him admission back to school. While we may be able to appeal this, for the time being the apprenticeship is the only way we can keep Harry here."

Setting down his cup of tea, Snape sat back in his chair before speaking. "I can say for certain that Malfoy controls most of the Board of Governors, getting Harry admitted back to Hogwarts will be nearly impossible at this point. I agree that an apprenticeship may be the only way back in, but I'm concerned about how we'll get approval for this. As you mentioned before, it's been nearly a century since Hogwarts has had an underage apprentice."

The practice of apprenticeship went back hundreds of years in the Wizarding World, and even today, it was not uncommon for wizards and witches to become apprentices after leaving school. Depending on their field of study, they could spend 3-8 years learning their trade before gaining qualifications.

Snape himself had done an apprenticeship in Potions after he graduated from Hogwarts. In fact, an apprenticeship was required to qualify as a Potion's Master. It also meant that Snape was legally able to take on his own apprentice, given it was approved by the Academy of Potion Masters, also known as the APM.

Since apprenticeship is bound by a magical contract, in the modern age it generally involved wizards and witches who are of age (with the rare exception made for a gifted student who finished school before they turned 17). In the past, younger children-very often orphans and children from poor families who couldn't care for them-had been made apprentices so that they could learn a craft and have someone else take care of their basic needs. While not illegal, this practice had fallen out of favor decades ago, having lent itself to exploitation and abuse.

"My concern, Albus, is how we will be able to gain approval for this apprenticeship. Harry is only 12 years-old, surely there will be resistance."

Dumbledore refilled his cup. "Ah yes, we will have to be careful how we go about this. Since the magical bond and contract goes through the APM, we will need to secure their support first. I was hoping with your position, and the respect with which you're held amongst members of the organization, you could work on this for us. Although, we will also need the Ministry to approve of the bond since Harry is under-age and they are currently overseeing his custody.

"This may prove difficult, Albus." Snape sipped slowly at his tea, the wrinkles in his forehead deepening as he reflected. "As you know, I've been a member of the APM for many years. I also sit on the Committee for Research and Innovation. My own mentor, Prof. Barclay, is among the senior leadership of the organization, but I don't know if he'll agree. If I can convince him and get his backing, I think he can help us get our petition for an underage apprenticeship passed. My greatest concern, however, is the Ministry."

Dumbledore reached across the desk and patted Snape gently on the hand. "Let me worry about the Ministry, I just need you to work on the APM."

Snape nodded and poured himself another cup of tea."I'd like to discuss the details of this apprenticeship if we could, Albus."

Steeling himself, Snape continued. "While this agreement goes against my better judgment, and will certainly be an enormous burden, both personally and professionally, I see no other solution.

Snape took a slow breath in and tried to keep his face neutral, although he could feel his anxiety rising. "It is without question that if Harry were unable to continue his magical education, it would be a disaster. Equally important, I fear for his safety if he were to go into the custody and care of the Ministry. They've proven themselves incompetent at best, and malevalent at worst. There are certainly those in power whom I fear do not have Potter's best interest at heart. Therefore, I will put my own reservations aside and make Mr. Potter my apprentice."

Dumbledore clapped his hands together softly and gave Snape a broad smile. "Excellent, Severus. I know it will be a difficult adjustment for you, but you've always risen to a challenge."

"I will commit myself fully to Mr. Potter's academic and personal development, but that means that I will have final say over what he does and how he does it. I am trusting you by taking this position, so I am asking that you trust me in return to do my job well."

Snape glanced at Dumbledore who looked at him kindly, encouraging him to continue.

"I know the boy is reasonably intelligent and he's capable enough to become proficient, if not exceptional, if he applies himself. He clearly has what it takes to be a very powerful wizard...IF he is trained properly. My concerns are not with his intellectual ability, but with his personal qualities. His lack of focus and discipline has given rise to impulsive and risky behaviour. If I take him as my apprentice, this cannot be allowed to continue."

Snape paused for another breath, watching Dumbledore for any sign of disapproval. He knew that the Headmaster loved Harry deeply, but was also prone to overlook his flaws. In fact, by Snape's account, Dumbledore had been one of the main perpetrators who coddled and spoiled him.

"I don't disagree with your observations, Severus."

The wrinkles in Snape's forehead relaxed slightly as he spoke. "Headmaster, things are going to change very quickly for Mr. Potter once he's in my care. I will not tolerate his disrespect, nor will I accept anything less than his best effort in all things. I will take this apprenticeship very seriously, and since he is underage, his health and well-being will also be my responsibility. He will have to follow my instructions and my rules in all things. While I will never abuse my position or harm him in any way, I expect to have full authority over him and the way I discipline him."

Snape let that last part hang in the air. He knew Dumbledore understood what he meant. He didn't want any interference when it came to keeping Harry in line. Dumbledore had never been much of a disciplinarian—in fact, he rather enjoyed being the "good cop" who occasionally rewarded House points and gave out candy. He was happy to leave the difficult work to the rest of the faculty.

"I mean it, Albus, it is going to take a great effort on my part to train Mr. Potter into the wizard I know he can become, and if he is my responsibility, I don't want you or Minerva interfering every time he gets in trouble."

Dumbledore nodded in agreement. "I understand, Severus. I trust you completely, however, I'd like you to remember that Harry is still a boy, and that he will make youthful mistakes. You cannot be too hard on him or he will resent you. He's a sensitive boy."

It took every ounce of self-control Snape had to not laugh right at the Headmaster's face. "I'll try to remember to send him to you when he needs a cuddle," Snape quipped.

He hardened his face before beginning again. "I fully recognize that Mr. Potter is still a child, and that is why I will treat him accordingly. He needs consistent boundaries and consequences, two things he has clearly lacked so far in his life. I will set clear rules and expectations for him, but if he violates them, he will be punished. I will never punish him cruelly or unfairly, but I will be firm. At the end of the day it is my goal to build trust and respect and for him to learn the self-discipline he needs to be successful in life.

Snape was feeling more in control of things now, and as much as he dreaded having the brat around permanently, there was a part of him that was somewhat looking forward to it. He loved a challenge. He would moan and complain about the extra work and the constraints on his time, but deep down he was thrilled with the idea that he could do a better job than anyone else. He was sure if he could do things his way, he could turn Harry into a brilliant wizard.

After thinking for a moment how to respond, Dumbledore finally replied. "I understand, Severus. It is my greatest hope that Harry will blossom under your care. There are many of us who care deeply for him and want to see him happy and healthy. I do not doubt your intentions for a moment, but I only hope that you will remember to temper justice with mercy and patience. Minerva and I will still be a part of his life here at Hogwarts, but we will not interfere with your role as Harry's mentor and guardian.

Just then, there was a knock at the door. Dumbledore waved his hand and the door flew open. It was Minerva McGonagall.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3638