Barely Functioning, Deeply Loved by krosi
Summary: When six-year-old Harry Potter finds floo powder while cleaning the fireplace, he is accidentally sent over to Severus's Snape's house, where he discovers that Snape is his biological dad, he has a half-sister, and Aunt Petunia has been abusing him all his life. It's almost too much for little Harry to handle. Can Severus help this boy through the traumas he's suffered?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 131786 Read: 47968 Published: 23 Jan 2021 Updated: 20 Mar 2024
A Serious Scare by krosi

               Climbing under the bed, Harry felt around for anything interesting, and his hand brushed up against a wooden box. Using both hands to grip the box, Harry shuffled backward and out from under the bed and studied his find. He opened the box and shuffled through it, first pulling out a green and silver badge with a snake on in the center. He ran his fingers over the embroidered design before setting the badge back in the box. There were old textbooks, a crumpled, black pointed hat, a journal with cursive scrawl Harry couldn’t read.

               He was about to push the box back under the bed when one more book caught his eye. He reached for the bottom of the box, feeling the binding of the green book before he managed to slide it out from under the textbooks. It had a blank cover, but opening to a random page, Harry saw many photos with some words printed in neat ink next to them. Satisfied with his find, Harry closed the box and slid it back under the bed. He picked up the book and carried it out of the bedroom before skipping down the stairs and heading for his father’s study.

               Severus was working on grading essays, something he did every Saturday morning, Harry was learning. Tum was eating food from his dish in his cage, but he looked up at Harry with a tilted head. Harry moved around Severus’s desk and held out the book to his father.

               “What do you have there?” Severus asked. He raised a brow at Harry as he recognized the album. “Were you snooping through my room again?”

               “No,” Harry replied innocently with a shake of his head.

               “Why do I ask?” Severus asked playfully as he lifted Harry into his lap. “Did you want to look through it?”

               “Can you read it to me?”

               “It’s a photo album. There’s not too much to read.” Severus pushed aside the essays he was grading and opened the album to the first page. There was a wedding photo of a young, happy looking couple that took up the entire page. Harry thought they looked a lot like Nami and Pappy but much younger. Severus tapped a finger on the photo. “This is your Nami and Pappy on their wedding day in nineteen fifty-three.”

               “That’s ancient ago,” Harry remarked.

               Severus smirked down at his son.

               “Don’t tell Nami that.” Severus turned the pages, talking as he did so. “These are more of their wedding photos and reception. They spent their honeymoon in Cornwall then bought the house they live in now soon after.”

               Severus turned to a page where a photo of Eileen took the spotlight. She was showing off a large baby bump, and Harry pointed at her stomach, touching the photo gently.

               “Is that you, Daddy?”

               “Yes, it is. They tried for many years to have a kid, but Ma had a lot of difficulties keeping a baby. She always said I was seven years late.”

               Severus turned the page to a baby photo, and he smiled as he rested his head against Harry’s.

               “You looked a lot like I did when you were born,” Severus said softly.

               “Really?” Harry stared at the picture of his father as a baby. It was strange knowing his father had been a baby that tiny at one time. He looked at a few other baby pictures before reaching up to turn the page himself to a toddler Severus, then again to a child Severus.

               “Ma took far too many pictures,” Severus remarked as he allowed Harry to flip through the album at his own pace. “A pensieve would have worked just as well.”

               Harry wasn’t sure what Severus was talking about, so he kept looking through the photos of Severus as a child until he found one where he was standing next to a familiar redheaded girl. He pointed at the picture.

               “Mummy?” Harry asked.

               “Yes, that’s your mother,” Severus said, sitting up a bit more and tapping the photo. “This was when Lily’s family moved into town. We became fast friends. This was our first day back to muggle school.”

               There were more pictures with Severus and Lily and only a couple had another brunette girl lingering in the background. Harry pointed at the girl in the background.

               “Who’s that?”

               Severus’s eyes hardened slightly, then he cleared his throat and said, “That is Petunia.”

               “Oh,” Harry said. For some reason, the little girl pouting in the photos looked nothing like his aunt. When Severus said nothing more, Harry flipped the page to look at new photos, and thankfully, Petunia was nowhere to be seen. There were more pictures of Lily and Severus at different holidays and then one last photo with Severus and Lily boarding the Hogwarts Express, waving goodbye out a window.

               “What’s that?” Harry asked, pointing at the train.

               “That is the Hogwarts Express, the train that takes students from all over directly to Hogwarts. You will ride that train one day, when you turn eleven and receive your acceptance letter.”

               “Then I go to school with you?”

               “You and Iris will live at the school. I will, too, but you will stay in your dormitory in whatever house you end up in.”

               “What’s that mean?”

               “Well, Hogwarts has four houses. Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, and Slytherin. The sorting hat will decide which house you end up in and you will stay there. Of course, you are more than welcome to come visit me, but I’m sure once you get to Hogwarts, visiting your old man will be the last thing on your mind.”

               “I’ll visit,” Harry promised. “What house will I be in?”

               “I’m not sure. Your mother was in Gryffindor, as was your adoptive father.”

               “Daddy James?”

               “Yes, Daddy James. You could very well end up in Gryffindor just like them.”

               “What about you?”

               “I was in Slytherin.”

               “Can I be in Slytherin?”

               “You could be, but I feel like you are far from a Slytherin. If either of my kids end up in that house, it’ll be Miss Princess Iris. But it’s still early to say definitively what house you’ll end up in and certainly nothing to worry about right now.”

               “Okay,” Harry agreed. He closed the album and picked it up before sliding off his father’s lap.

               “I guess we’re done now,” Severus said with a chuckle as he watched Harry leave his study. “Good talk, son.”

               Harry hugged the photo album to his chest and was about to head back to his bedroom when the floo flared in the living room. He paused and watched the green fire fill the once empty fireplace, something that amazed him every time the floo activated. When the flames disappeared, Tori and her kids stood in the fireplace, and they stepped into the living room.

               “Right on time,” Severus said from behind Harry, startling his son. “As always.”

               “Good morning, Severus,” Tori said, setting Esther down on her feet. “Thank you so much for agreeing to watching them for me, I will owe you. Anything you want, I will make it happen.”

               “Please.” Severus waved her request off. “After all you do for me and my kids? I need nothing in return.”

               Tori gave Severus an appreciative smile.

               “I shouldn’t be long. I have my doctor’s appointment and then a session with my nutritionist, and if it’s not too late, I may run a quick errand before I come pick them up, but if anything happens—if you need me to pick them up sooner—”

               “We’ll be fine,” Severus said. “Go, you’ll be late.”

               “Right, right.” Tori looked down at her kids and moved her hands quickly. “You be good for Severus. That means you, Esther. You behave. Kisses goodbye, real quick.” Tori kissed Esther, then Ruth, then Joshua on the top of their heads before she hurried for the fireplace, flooing away.

               “Can I turn on your tv?” Joshua asked.

               “May I, and you may,” Severus answered.

               “Yes!” Joshua cheered, and he jumped on the sofa, finding the remote and turning on the tv quickly. He flipped through the channels before he found the one he was looking for. Ruth and Esther ran upstairs in search of Iris while Harry followed Joshua, eager to share what he had learned from his father and the photo album. Joshua was engaged in a football game and eagerly watching the players kick the ball around on the screen.

               “Hi, Joshua,” Harry greeted, pausing in front of the tv, much to Joshua’s dismay.

               “Hey,” Joshua responded distractedly as he angled himself to peer around Harry and watch the screen.

               “Daddy was showing me this book,” Harry said, opening the book up, concealing more of Joshua’s view to the tv, “and telling me about when him and mummy went to Hogwarts.”

               “Cool,” Joshua said, standing up and gently pushing Harry to the side a bit. “Come on, bud, move for just a minute, okay?”

               Joshua jumped back on the sofa and returned his attention to the game. Harry realized he was distracting Joshua as he looked between the other boy and the tv. He decided he’d wait until the game went to a commercial or something. He rarely watched the tv in the living room unless it was with Iris and Severus for a movie night. But remembering how the dinosaur show he used to watch at the Dursley’s always had commercials, he figured this show would too, so he jumped up on the sofa next to Joshua to wait it out.

               And the tv’s screen went black just as the football was kicked toward the goal.

               “No!” Joshua cried. “Harry!”

               “Sorry,” Harry apologized, fishing the remote out from under him and handing it over to Joshua. He held the photo album to his chest. “Are you mad at me?”

               “No,” Joshua said before letting out a sigh as he accepted the remote and turned the tv back on. The show was on commercial now, and Joshua groaned and set the remote down, pulling his feet up to sit crisscross on the furniture. He looked over at Harry. “What were you saying about Hogwarts?”

               Harry studied Joshua’s face for a moment, trying to judge whether Joshua really was mad at him or not before he opened the photo album to a page where a couple pictures of young Severus and Lily were. Joshua leaned over to look down at the pictures.

               “This is Daddy and Mummy,” Harry said, pointing at one of the pictures.

               “Yeah, that looks like Severus all right,” Joshua smiled, “scowl and all.”

               “He’s kind of smiling,” Harry said, holding the album closer to really look at child Severus’s face. “A little, I think.”

               Joshua laughed, then pointed at another picture.

               “There’s the Hogwart’s Express! We’ll ride that one day when we’re old enough to go to school there.”

               “That’s what Daddy said. He also said he was in Slytherin, and Mummy was in Gryffindor. And Daddy James. He was in Gryffindor, too. Daddy said I could go in Gryffindor like they did but he’s not really sure. What house will you go in?”

               “I don’t know.” Joshua shrugged, glancing back at the tv to see if the game was back on.

               “What house were your parents in?”

               “Only Mum went to Hogwarts. She was in Gryffindor. Dad went to Uagadou in Africa since he was born in South Africa. They don’t have houses, but dormitories. I think like nine different dormitories because they have a lot of students from all over. Then Dad moved his family’s business to the UK. Mum worked in a different practice then. I think they said they were rivals at first. They met working opposing arguments on the same case. It’s a funny story actually.”

               “Can you tell me?” Harry asked.

               “Oh, maybe another time, shh!” Joshua said as the game came back on and a replay was shown of the team scoring a goal, and Joshua cheered. Harry smiled at Joshua’s excitement. They sat in silence for a few minutes watching the game, and when more replays were shown, Joshua whipped his head toward Harry as if he suddenly remembered something.

               “I think you have someone coming to see you today,” Joshua said. “Do you know who it is?”

               “No.” Harry answered honestly. “Someone’s coming to see me?”

               “I thought that’s what Mum said. A friend of the family or something?”

               Harry felt his heart pick up at that. He still wasn’t a big fan of surprises, and he’d prefer to know ahead of time if he was going to be meeting new people or faces. Maybe his father knew about this person coming to see him. Harry hopped off the sofa, abandoning the album, and ran in search of his father, heading for the study. Severus had returned to grading essays behind his desk and Harry paused in front of the desk, watching his father work for a moment.

               “Did you need something, Harry?” Severus asked after a minute.

               “Is someone coming to see me today?”

               Severus’s eyes strayed up to meet his son’s.

               “Yes, though he had wanted to surprise you. Sirius Black is coming back to visit you here for a little bit. Remember him?”     

               “Uncle Sirius,” Harry affirmed with a nod of his head, relaxing slightly now that he knew he wasn’t meeting with a total stranger. Though he really didn’t know Sirius that well, it was clear Sirius had known him as a baby, and had known his late parents, so in Harry’s mind, Sirius was one more piece of his long-lost family.

               “Who told you someone was coming today?” Severus asked.

               “Joshua said his mum told him someone would visit.”

               “That child has a very loose tongue sometimes.”

               Esther came trotting into the room and around the desk, tapping Severus arm before making a sign against the palm of her hand.

               “I’m sorry, I don’t know that one,” Severus said, as he shook his head and held up both hands, allowing his index fingers to shoot up and over his shoulders, signing “I don’t understand,” a common sign he resorted to when trying to converse with Esther.

               Esther smiled then slowly spelled out “juice” for Severus.

               “Ah, juice,” Severus said, nodding his head.

               Esther repeated the sign of tracing a “j” over the palm of her hand with her index finger, and Severus copied her.

               “Juice,” he repeated, signing it one last time, then pointed at himself before holding an open hand near his head and bringing it closer to his forehead while simultaneously closing his hand into a fist. “I’ll remember that one. And lucky you, I have some of that in stock.”

               Severus stood and waved for Esther to follow him, and she ran ahead of him to the kitchen, jumping up and down eagerly for her juice while Severus poured her some orange juice in a plastic cup and handed it to her. Esther touched her lip and threw her hand out in a “thank you,” then sipped the juice immediately as she took the cup. Then, she turned and took off, careful not to spill anything as she passed Harry and left the kitchen.

               Severus snorted, then looked at Harry standing in the entryway.

               “Are you in need of any juice?” Severus asked.

               Harry shook his head.

               “Are you nervous about your visit with Sirius?”

               Harry shrugged.

               “There’s nothing to worry about. I’ll be here the whole time, but I think you’ll enjoy your . . . uncle’s presence. He can be quite enthusiastic about many things. His visit today is so you can get to know him a little better and maybe in the future you can visit him at his own place, or he can take you somewhere fun.”

               The doorbell to the house rang and Severus gritted his teeth to hold back any degrading remarks he had for Sirius Black. He forced a smile for Harry.

               “I think that’s him now.”

               Harry followed his father and stood close to him while Severus opened the door, revealing Sirius Black wearing typical wizard robe attire in a maroon color. Behind Sirius in the driveway was a motorcycle. A huge grin spread across Sirius’s face when he saw Harry.

               “Hello, Harry,” Sirius greeted.

               “Hi Uncle Sirius,” Harry greeted.

               “You’re on time,” Severus said in a bored tone. “What a surprise.”

               “Of course, I’m on time,” Sirius defended himself. “Anything for my little nephew.”

               “Please.” Severus rolled his eyes. “You aren’t even related.”

               “Family doesn’t have to be by blood,” Sirius argued. “James and I were practically brothers since we met and that makes Harry as much my nephew as he is your son. Besides, James would have wanted him to have some excitement and spoiling in his life. I’ve got several years to make up for.”

               “Well, don’t let me get in the way of that. Though take it easy on the “excitement” with Harry. He’s still managing his asthma.”

               Sirius blinked at that, and Severus narrowed his eyes.

               “You do know what asthma is, don’t you?” Severus asked.

               “Of course, I know what asthma is,” Sirius snapped. “It’s just so muggle, I didn’t think . . .”

               “Muggle or not,” Severus said when Sirius trailed off, “try not to do anything rash during your visit here or you’ll be tossed outside like the dog you are.”

               “Speaking of which, do you plan on actually inviting me inside?”

               Severus glared at Sirius for a moment before stepping aside. Sirius stepped in, looking around to see Joshua watching them from the sofa and a little girl sitting on the staircase drinking juice. When Severus shut the door behind him, he turned back toward the other man.

               “Who are all these children, more of your forgotten kids?” Sirius quipped.

               “No, but they are as much family if not more than what you seem to think yourself as,” Severus returned. Harry leaned against his leg, and reminding himself to take a deep breath, Severus ran a hand through Harry’s hair. “Harry, why don’t you show Sirius your room?”

               “Okay, Daddy,” Harry said, stepping away from his father and closer to Sirius. He offered a hand, and Sirius accepted it quickly, a genuine smile replacing his smirk.

               “Want to see my room?” Harry asked.

               “I would love to see your room,” Sirius said.

               Harry smiled back, then pulled Sirius up the stairs and away from his glaring father. He wasn’t sure what to make of what just transpired between Severus and Sirius. First, his father was encouraging him to get to know Sirius, and then when Sirius showed up, all Severus did was glare at his newfound uncle. And Sirius seemed to return the looks. But now Sirius was all real smiles and kind eyes.

               “This is my room,” Harry said proudly as he dragged Sirius into the bedroom. “Isn’t it amazing?”

               “Wow!” Sirius said, spinning around as if to take everything in. “It’s brilliant. You must be a big fan of dinosaurs, eh?”

               “I love them!”

               “I can tell.” Sirius slowly sat on the edge of Harry’s bed. “So, how do you like it here with your . . . father and sister? Do they treat you well?”

               “The best!” Harry said as he jumped up on the bed next to Sirius. He crawled across the bed and grabbed his stegosaurus, Spikes. “I love Daddy and Iris. This is Spikes. He’s a stegosaurus.”

               “Would you look at that?” Sirius commented, accepting the dinosaur and looking it over. Sirius smiled. “You know, your father used to have this really large stuffed lion that he brought to the dormitory at Hogwarts. We all claimed it was the Gryffindor House Mascot. We called him Sir Leolot the Brave. Even took him to a quidditch game once. We got so many laughs, but the poor thing didn’t survive the mud it got covered in.”

               “Daddy James?” Harry asked for clarification.

               “Daddy James,” Sirius agreed softly with a small smile. He set the stegosaurus down and angled himself toward Harry. “I’m sorry if I confused you when we first met. It wasn’t my intention. I was so upset when I found out your parents were gone that I lost my way for a while. I wanted revenge for my best mate and his wife. And for you. But hearing how you’ve been treated now—I should have stayed and been around for you. I’ve missed out on so many years of your life. I hope you can forgive me for that.”

               “I forgive you,” Harry said.

               “Are you sure?” Sirius asked.

               Harry nodded.

               “Thank you, Harry. That means a lot to me.”

               “Do you want to see Daddy’s room?”

               “Uhh, I feel like that’s snooping,” Sirius said, a chuckle escaping his lips. “We probably should leave your dad’s room alone.”

               “It’s only snooping if you get caught,” Harry said. “That’s what Iris said.”

               Sirius smirked.

               “Then let’s not get caught.”

               After a tour of Harry’s room, a quick one of Severus’s room, then Iris’s, where Iris and Ruth quickly took over showing Sirius around the pink room and introducing him to every single one of Iris’s stuffed animals and dolls, Harry led the way downstairs to show off the living room again and then the kitchen, where they ran into Esther, who introduced herself in sign to Sirius, smiling sweetly up at the man.

               “Oh,” Sirius said with a frown, “you’re one of those . . . hand talkers.”

               “She’s deaf,” Harry said, signing “deaf” for Sirius. “She said “my name is Esther.””

               “Ah, right, that’s the word.”  Sirius nodded in understanding, then slowly and loudly said, “It is nice to meet you, Esther.”

               “She still can’t hear you,” Harry muttered.

               Esther’s smile turned into a malicious grin as she knocked on her head twice. Then she began signing the same short phrase over and over again.

               “You know, I think there’s spells to fix that,” Sirius commented. 

               “There’s not, actually,” Joshua said as he came into the kitchen. He noticed what Esther was signing and lightly smacked the back of his hand against Esther’s arm before signing to her as he said, “Knock that off.”

               Esther blew a raspberry at her brother before running off.

               “What was she saying?” Sirius asked.

               “Nothing,” Joshua said with an innocent smile before glaring and saying, “and there’s nothing to fix. She’s fine.”

               “But I just mean if she could have the chance to hear—”

               “Mum and Dad have gone through this. There’s nothing they can do unless they want to explore muggle medicine and stick something in her head. She’s fine the way she is.”

               “Okay, okay.” Sirius held up his hands defensively. “My apologies. What do you say we go outside and enjoy some fresh air, eh, Harry?”

               “Should I tell Daddy?” Harry asked.

               “Nah, we’ll be right outside and I’m with you. He shouldn’t spazz out.” Sirius didn’t sound entirely confident in his last statement, but he was already leading the way toward the front door. Harry hesitated, then followed Sirius. Joshua rolled his eyes and followed them, grabbing Harry’s coat off the rack and handing it to Harry before he ran out after Sirius without it. Joshua pulled a silver cloak off the rack and wrapped it around himself and followed Harry outside.

               Sirius walked up to his motorcycle and pulled something out of the side seat. Harry frowned at it.

               “You know, Harry,” Sirius began, “one of Daddy James favorite things was flying. And not just for Quidditch, but for the thrill of it.”

               Sirius turned so Harry could see what he had pulled out of his bike. Harry frowned and tilted his head while Joshua made a concerned face.

               “It’s a . . . broom?” Harry asked.

               “A flying broom,” Sirius said. “I was hoping we could get the chance to fly around the house a few times before I take off for the day. End things on a high note if you know what I mean.”

               “I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Joshua said.

               “Yeah, I don’t know,” Harry said slowly.

               “I won’t force you if you don’t want to,” Sirius said. He mounted the broom and kicked off the ground. Harry gasped as the broom shot forward and did a small loop in the air before hovering in front of him. Sirius smiled, “Just let me know if you change your mind.”

               “Brilliant!” Harry said, stepping closer. “It’s flying! Can I try?”

               “Well, you’re too small to handle this broom alone, but you can fly with me.” Sirius lifted Harry onto the broom, showing him how to correctly grip the broom, then he slowly leaned into the air and the broom began to ascend at a steady pace. Harry giggled as they rose higher and higher, looking down at how small Joshua was becoming.

               With careful movements and precision, Sirius kept the broom at a slow speed but fast enough for Harry to feel the wind in his hair, earning squeals of excitement as Sirius dipped down and made small circles in the air. Harry never felt freer and more weightless, like he was on top of the world, and anything was possible. He looked down again to see Joshua watching them from down below, and he waved. After a second, Joshua waved back.

               Harry laughed at the tiny movement, then his grin grew as Sirius dipped down again, sending a funny feeling up his stomach and into his chest. He loved it, and laughed when Sirius dipped again, then the broom circled the roof of the house.

               A familiar feeling tickled Harry’s throat, and he tried to swallow the feeling away, his laughter dying suddenly. He swallowed dryly a few times, then coughed a bit as the dryness choked him a little.

               “Okay, there, Harry?” Sirius asked.

               “I can’t breathe,” Harry said as he felt his throat tighten more.

               “The air gets a little thinner the higher you go,” Sirius explained, “it just takes a minute to get used to. Nice, deep breaths.” 

               Harry tried to take deeper breaths, but he wheezed slightly. It was like trying to suck air through a straw, and the air that managed to get through burned. He was starting to feel a little lightheaded. He clutched at his throat with hand and gripped the broom tightly with his other to keep his balance.

               “Uncle Sirius,” Harry wheezed out, “I can’t breathe. Go down.”

               “Okay, we’re going down,” Sirius said, and he descended as fast as he dared. Landing lightly, he had to catch Harry as the child nearly collapsed to the ground as he kept sucking in air. Sirius dropped the broom and helped Harry lay down on the ground. 

               “What happened?” Joshua yelled as he ran forward.

               “I don’t know.” Sirius shook his head as he reached for his wand. “He said he couldn’t breathe and then . . .” Sirius trailed off as he couldn’t find the right words to either describe the scary episode happening right now or the words for a spell that may help.

               “Harry, where’s your inhaler?” Joshua asked as he felt Harry’s pant pockets. “You’re supposed to have it!”

               Joshua felt Harry’s coat pockets then unzipped one and reached inside, pulling out the rescue inhaler Harry must have left in his coat pocket one day, and Joshua held the device to Harry’s mouth, making sure Harry was aware of what was coming, then he helped Harry administer one puff, then another after a few seconds. Harry laid in the grass for nearly fifteen minutes before his breathing was back to normal again, and even then, he panted.

               “Harry, I am so sorry,” Sirius said, running a shaky hand through Harry’s hair. “I had no idea this would happen. Are you okay?”

               Harry’s eyes watered, and then the young child shot up and ran for the house.

               “Harry!” Sirius called after him, but Harry threw the door open and ran inside.

               Joshua had jumped up and was right behind him.

               Sirius slowly stood to his feet then followed after the boys, sure he knew where Harry was running to, and he prayed to whatever great wizard or god there was out there to have mercy on his soul. He heard Harry sobbing, and he followed the sound to Severus’s study where he found Severus holding and rocking Harry who was crying into his shoulder. Joshua was standing next to them chatting a hundred words a minute. Severus’s eyes fell on Sirius as the man entered his study.

               “What happened to take it easy on the excitement?” Severus growled through his teeth.

               “I didn’t think that would happen,” Sirius said honestly.

               “You didn’t think he’d have an asthma attack?”

               “Is that what that is?” Sirius asked to himself, but unfortunately aloud.

               Severus’s eyes flashed.

               “So you don’t know what asthma is? Why didn’t you ask me?”

               “I . . .” Sirius bit back a snide remark and clenched his fists at his side, taking in a deep breath and calmly saying, “I’m asking now. Please, tell me about this.”

               Severus glared at him silently for a few long moments before he stood up with Harry and moved out of his study, shouldering past Sirius. He paused long enough to say, “If you’re really serious about that, sit out in the living room. I’ll be right back.”

               Severus headed up the stairs toward Harry’s room, Joshua right at his heels.

               Feeling like a scolded teenager about to be handed his punishment, Sirius did what Severus said without a word, finding a spot on the sofa and then putting his head in his hands. How could he have been so foolish to allow this to happen to Harry? He should have just swallowed his pride and asked about the asthma thing when Severus had first mentioned it. He could have avoided this whole accident. He felt like the worst human being on the planet right now and Harry probably would never want to see him again.

               “He doesn’t blame you for this, you know,” Severus said as he reentered the living room. “The attack just scared him.”

               “He ran away from me,” Sirius said.

               “No, he ran to me,” Severus said, leaning against the tv and its stand. “There’s a difference.”

               Severus summoned a pamphlet he had received when Harry had been first diagnosed with Healer Villin, and he gave the pamphlet to Sirius, who accepted it and opened it up curiously.

               “That helped me understand the disease a bit better,” Severus said. He went into the finer details of asthma he had picked up from his conversations with Healer Villin, then explained how it affected Harry specifically. Sirius soaked in the information, kicking himself for not doing this before he pulled the damn broom out. If he had known, he could have had Harry taken a dose of his inhaler before they went flying to help prevent the episode from happening in the first place. It all could have been avoided if he had just been man enough to ask Severus for an explanation of what asthma was.

               “You’re lucky Joshua knew what to do,” Severus said. “This could have gone much worse if Joshua hadn’t followed you two outside.”

               “I know,” Sirius said in a low voice. “I know. I’m sorry.”  

               At the apology, Severus’s brows shot up. He expected three million excuses as to why this was not Sirius’s fault. An apology from Sirius Black was the last thing he thought he’d ever hear from the man’s mouth.

               “Now that you know,” Severus said, “this better not happen again.”

               “It won’t. I’ll make sure of it.” Sirius seemed to bite his tongue for a moment before he said, “Thank you.”

               Severus merely inclined his head at that.

               “May I say goodbye to Harry?” Sirius asked.

               Now Sirius was asking to say goodbye instead of just going upstairs to do it? Perhaps the man learned from this experience after all. Severus knew deep inside he was thinking unfairly of Sirius Black, but they still had a troubled past that neither seemed comfortable dealing with in the present, so it was easier to believe the worst of the other. Severus nodded his head, and Sirius headed upstairs.

               Harry was lying in his bed under the covers with Joshua lying on top of the covers next to him reading a book. Harry looked like he was half asleep, but his eyes opened more when Sirius entered the room.

               “Feeling better, Harry?” Sirius asked.

               Harry nodded.

               “I really am sorry for what happened,” Sirius said. “I promise that I will not allow something like that to happen again, okay?”

               “It’s okay,” Harry said, though he seemed unsure if he should say anything else.

               Sirius sat on the edge of Harry’s bed and ran a hand through Harry’s hair.

               “This wasn’t exactly how I wanted to end our visit but I’m glad you are safe, Harry.” Sirius hesitated, the said, “You have a good father.”

               Harry smiled, then sat up and hugged Sirius.

               “And a good uncle,” Harry said.

               Sirius snorted and patted Harry’s back.

               “Thank you.” Sirius helped Harry get back under the covers. “You get some rest. I’ll see you again real soon.”

               “Bye, Uncle Sirius,” Harry said.

               Sirius smiled and waved at Harry as he stepped out of the room. He paused outside the bedroom and listened.

               “Okay, where were we?” Joshua asked.

               “The mean troll was about to eat the second goat,” Harry reminded.

               “Oh, right, so the mean troll jumped out from under the bridge . . .”

               With an amused shake of his head, Sirius headed down the stairs. He didn’t see Severus anymore, and not wanting any more awkwardness between them, he quietly left the house and climbed on his motorcycle. He learned a lot from his visit, but the most important thing he learned was that Harry was in very safe hands with a family that adored him.

 

Esther signs “idiot” at Sirius with the two knocks on the head, then her repetitive signing is whatever childish insult you want to imagine. I had a few in mind but I’ll let your imaginations run wild.

                             

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sirius made a great example of unintentional ignorance, a common problem the Deaf community (as well as many other communities) face. Esther signs "idiot" at Sirius in the story. Regardless of his lack of understanding, she's still a brat.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3645