Barely Functioning, Deeply Loved by krosi
Summary: When six-year-old Harry Potter finds floo powder while cleaning the fireplace, he is accidentally sent over to Severus's Snape's house, where he discovers that Snape is his biological dad, he has a half-sister, and Aunt Petunia has been abusing him all his life. It's almost too much for little Harry to handle. Can Severus help this boy through the traumas he's suffered?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: No Word count: 131786 Read: 49436 Published: 23 Jan 2021 Updated: 29 Apr 2024
Family Vacation Part 2 by krosi

Harry’s eyes widened as he crawled away a bit from the angry looking Dudley Dursley who towered above him. Joshua hooked his hands under Harry’s arms and helped pull Harry to his feet before the older child looked Harry over. Harry cradled his wrist, wincing when Joshua applied a bit of pressure at the joint, making Joshua release Harry with a sympathetic look.  

               Joshua quickly turned angry eyes toward the boy who pushed Harry.

               “What is your problem?” Joshua asked.

               “He’s my problem!” Dudley shouted, pointing an accusatory finger at Harry. “He ruined everything! He’s the reason Mum and Dad are in jail and I never get to see them anymore. He’s the reason I have to live with Auntie and move to a new school and not see my friends anymore—it’s all his fault!”

               Harry stayed quiet and kept his head down, avoiding Dudley’s eyes as he realized that maybe his cousin was right. Dudley lost his parents, and it was all because of him. Or at least what Aunt Petunia had done to him, but still, it was his fault either way. Joshua seemed to disagree.

               “You’re crazy,” Joshua snapped. He seemed to connect the dots as to who the child might be in relation to Harry. “Harry didn’t do anything wrong. It was your mum who hurt Harry.”

               “She would never!” Dudley took a step closer, his fists clenching at his sides. “She didn’t hurt anyone. Harry’s a liar and made everything up cause that’s what he does—he tells made up stories. My parents didn’t do anything wrong and now I can’t even see them. And it’s your fault!”

               Dudley stepped closer and glared at Harry, but Joshua stepped in between Dudley and Harry, glaring down at the younger child as he pushed Harry behind himself protectively.

               “Back off, kid,” Joshua warned in a low voice.

               Dudley glared up at Joshua, not the least bit intimidated. He looked past Joshua and at Harry directly. 

               “You think you can get away with this and go live happily ever after with your new family after you destroyed mine?” Dudley’s eyes flared as he narrowed them in on Harry. “You’re nothing but a freak! All you do is hurt everyone who gets near you. Only freaks hurt people they love.”

               Harry’s lower lip trembled at that.

               “Stop yelling at Harry!” Joshua yelled, slipping a hand into his pocket and tapping his finger against the opal stone three times rapidly, summoning his father. He looked around to see if any adults had noticed them, and he was glad that a few parents were starting to glance in their direction. “Harry is not a freak and if you don’t stop yelling at him—”

               “What?” Dudley challenged, glaring at Joshua. “You gonna do something about it?”

               A few adults were starting to walk their way, and the commotion was starting to attract the attention of everyone in the room.

               “I just might,” Joshua said, his own fists clenching at his side.

               “Typical,” Dudley said. “Harry’s too afraid and too weak to do anything. You won’t even face me! That’s because you know I’m right.”

               Harry remained rooted to the spot, shaking slightly and trying to breathe normally despite the tears welling in his eyes. Could Dudley be right after all? He had never wanted Aunt Petunia in jail, even after everything she had done to him. He never wanted to make Dudley lose his family. His father was always saying that it wasn’t his fault but somehow, it still felt like he was at the center of it all, and if he hadn’t been around, Dudley would still have his parents.

               “Leave Harry alone,” Joshua said. “Walk away before you get in trouble.”

               “Why would I get in trouble?” Dudley spat. “I’m not the freak!”

               “Hey,” Joshua stepped forward, only for Dudley to shove him forcefully away. Joshua stumbled back a couple steps, though managing to stay upright. He glared at the kid but then he noticed a magical change in the air around him, and he looked at Harry.

               “Leave Joshua alone!” Harry shouted, pushing his arms forward as if planning to push Dusley away without actually moving.

               There was a large pulse of energy that blasted forward and struck Dudley, throwing the child into the air and back several feet into the ball pit. There were loud gasps and everyone in the arcade froze, their eyes darting back and forth between Harry and Dudley. Joshua sucked in a breath himself at the display of magic, but he focused on Harry, who was breathing heavily and glaring at where Dudley had landed.

               “What did you do?” a feminine voice questioned.

               Harry gasped and stepped back, running into Joshua as Aunt Marge pushed her way through the crowd toward where her nephew was pulling himself out of the ball pit, shaky, but unharmed. She assisted him out of the ball pit before pointing a finger at Harry.

               “That is a devil’s spawn, right there!” Aunt Marge said. She looked at random people in the crowd. “Did you see that? Did you see what happened? He almost killed my little Dudley.”

               There was some muttering in the crowd of disbelief and people asking others if they saw exactly what happened or not. Joshua put a hand on Harry’s shoulder comfortingly as Harry was shaking slightly once more, but he wasn’t sure if he should pull Harry out of the crowd or wait for his father to get down to the arcade to take control of the growing chaos.

               A sharp whistle pierced through the murmurs and silence took hold in the arcade as everyone looked to the entrance. Joshua sighed in relief as he saw his Uncle Isaiah and Aunt Imani stepping into the arcade.

               “The arcade is temporarily closed now,” Isaiah said. “All parties not involved in this incident please exit this way. Thank you for your understanding and the arcade will reopen as soon as this matter has been resolved.”

               The crowd slowly began to exit without much complaint, though murmurs continued, that is, until they passed Imani, who discreetly touched everyone’s temple as they passed her. A dazed look fell upon everyone as they stepped outside of the arcade before they seemed to shake themselves back to reality and carry on their way as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

               “Thank you for your cooperation and understanding,” Imani said as she continued to use a single finger to touch the temple of every person in the arcade as they passed her until there was only Aunt Marge, Dudley, Joshua, and Harry left.

               “Uncle Isaiah,” Joshua began, pulling Harry into a hug, “it was an accident; he didn’t mean it.”

               “Finally, some authority,” Aunt Marge said as she spotted the uniforms the two adults were wearing. She pointed at Harry. “I’ll have you know that this child attacked my nephew unprovoked. I don’t know how he did it, but he nearly killed him. I want him removed from the premises immediately.”

               “Now, ma’am,” Isaiah began, holding up appeasing hands, “he’s a child, I doubt there was malicious intent. I would like to hear what happened from him as well as from your nephew.”

               “You don’t understand,” Aunt Marge said, “that little menace is Dudley’s freakish cousin who made up stories that landed my brother and his wife in prison. Poor Dudley has been so traumatized by the experience; I thought maybe a trip to the beach during Easter break might bring him some relief. Then this child had to show up and make his life hell once again. I will not stand for this. I demand that he is removed from Dudley’s presence before my poor nephew is traumatized more.”

               “Ma’am,” Isaiah began with an exasperated look, but Samuel ran in at that moment, dressed in trunks and a plain tee. Samuel went straight for Joshua and Harry, kneeling in front of them while Joshua began quickly filling his father in on what happened. Isaiah sighed in relief and walked over to Samuel, leaning down and whispering to him, “We just had a serious display of accidental magic. Apparently these two kids are related. You know anything about Harry’s extended family and how much they know?”

               Samuel checked Harry’s wrist briefly before standing up and looking at Aunt Marge and Dudley. He took in Aunt Marge’s furious look and Dudley’s frightened look before whispering back to Isaiah.

               “I believe there was extended family through Petunia’s husband’s side. The child may know a little if his parents indulged anything to him, but I don’t know. I’m pretty sure the aunt doesn’t know anything.”

               “Slight modification on the child then?” Imani asked. “Full erasure on the adult?”

               “Probably for the best,” Isaiah said. “Better safe than sorry that there’s no recollection of anything magical.”

               Imani nodded, then walked over to Dudley and kneeled in front of the shaken child.

               “Hey, sweetie,” Imani greeted with a soft smile. She gently touched a finger to one side of his temple before moving it to the center of his forehead. “Can you tell me what happened?”

               “What is she doing to him?” Aunt Marge asked, frowning at Imani before glancing at Samuel and Isaiah.

               “Just a slight memory modification,” Isaiah said. “Don’t worry, ma’am, she’s a Certified Obliviator.”

               “Memory what? A certified—unhand my nephew this instant!” Aunt Marge demanded as she stormed forward only to pass out from a sleeping charm Samuel hit her with. She fell to the ground but was cushioned with a charm before she hit the ground too harshly.

               “Should have done her first,” Samuel muttered.

               Dudley’s eyes widened at his aunt but Imani directed his attention back to her as she tapped the other side of his temple.

               “Can you tell me what happened between you and your cousin?” Imani asked.

               “He . . .” Dudley hesitated, blinking a couple times before frowning in thought. After a few seconds, he glared at Imani. “He pushed me into the ball pit!”

               “You didn’t happen to push him first?” Imani asked.

               “I didn’t!” Dudley declared, then he blinked as if struggling to recall something before he sheepishly said, “I pushed his friend first.”

               “You were both in the wrong.”

               “No! It’s Harry’s fault my parents are in jail for no reason.”

               “But there is a reason,” Imani told Dudley gently. She touched a finger to the center of Dudley’s forehead again, bringing forth memories of times spent with his family, including Harry’s maltreatment. “Your parents are in jail because they hurt Harry. And perhaps, they hurt you, too.”

               “They didn’t . . .” Dudley hesitated, frowning. “They never . . . they . . . they wouldn’t mean to.”

               “I’m sure they didn’t. We never mean to hurt the ones we love. But your parents never loved Harry, did they?”

               Dudley frowned, looking at his shoes before slowly shaking his head.

               “They hurt him. Didn’t they?”

               As if in a trance, flooded by hundreds of memories, Dudley slowly nodded his head, his blue eyes dazed.

               “That is why they are in jail. Not because of your cousin, but of what they did to your cousin. I know the loss is hard, and the change can be very overwhelming, but you are a strong, smart young man with so much potential. Do not let your anger control you.”

               Dudley blinked dazedly while Imani stood up and walked over to Aunt Marge. She raised her brows at her husband and Samuel.

               “What’s the plan?” she asked.

               “I think I can make accommodations for them at another hotel,” Isaiah said, “That way, we minimize run ins with each other. I have a connection to the WayStar down the road, I’m sure we can get her a room for two. Little magical aid might help, too.”

               Imani nodded her head, then waved her hand over Aunt Marge, who she assisted in sitting up carefully.

               “What happened?” Aunt Marge asked.

               “There was an incident between your nephew and his cousin,” Imani said, tapping Aunt Marge’s temple once. “A small rumble, nothing serious and no one is harmed, but dear, you fainted. I must emphasize the importance of staying hydrated while you are out and about between so many activities.”

               “Oh, yes, well, thank you,” Aunt Marge accepted help from Samuel and Imani to pull her back up to her feet. She brushed herself off before seeming to recall that Harry had pushed Dudley. “And what will you do with the delinquent who pushed my nephew so violently into the ball pit? Someone could have been injured!”

               “I think,” Isaiah said, “it best that due to the sensitive nature of this case, and with both kids deeply affected, separate hotels may be the best option for the rest of break.”

               “I agree! When can I expect him and his family to depart?”

               “You’ll be leaving, ma’am.”

               “You’re kicking me out? I paid for the best room three months ago and –”

               “Completely refunded. And I will take care of all the arrangements at the WayStar hotel just down the road from here. It boasts a lovely spa and beautiful ocean views.”

               Aunt Marge huffed and seemed to consider the compromise.

               “I suppose anywhere is better than being a hundred feet with the distance of that child. Come Dudley, we must pack while this gentleman finds us a new room at a new hotel.”

               Dudley shuffled after his aunt, sparing Harry one last confused but still reproachful look before leaving the arcade, Isaiah leading them away to the front desk.

               Samuel shook his head once the woman was out of sight.

               “The nerve of some people,” he muttered.

               “Are you okay, Harry?” Imani asked, kneeling in front of Harry and holding out a hand for his wrist. Harry let her examine his wrist. “Just a sprain. We can fix that up in a jiffy.”

               Imani waved her hand over Harry’s wrist, healing the sprain. Harry smiled at her appreciatively but didn’t say anything. Imani smiled back and stood up, allowing Joshua to continue holding Harry comfortingly.

               “I hate to see such sad children,” Imani said to Samuel.

               “That kid didn’t look very sad,” Samuel said, looking in the direction Aunt Marge and Dudley had left in.

               “He was hurting,” Imani insisted. “He just wasn’t sure how to express it.”

               “Imani,” Isaiah called out, appearing back in the doorway, “you need to fill out that paperwork before ministry officials come investigating.”

               “Yes, yes, I know. I’ll be right there. You might want to inform Severus of what happened, Sam.”

               “Of course,” Samuel said. He reached out a hand to Harry. “Come on, Harry, let’s go find your daddy.”

               Harry eagerly accepted Samuel’s hand at those words, more than ready for an embrace from his father. Joshua kept a hold of Harry’s other hand, and they walked toward the spa section of the hotel. 

                

               Severus was surprised to hear that any Dursley relatives were within a mile of his person. He sat in one of the plump chairs in the waiting room of the spa, holding his son against his chest. When the masseuse told him he had a visitor, he could only think of one visitor and was concerned that something terrible had happened, and as soon as he stepped into the waiting room, his son had latched on to him like a spider monkey. That did not ease his concerns, but then Isaiah and Samuel explained the situation, with Joshua telling the story of how it all started. He had nearly forgotten about Dudley and how the entirety of the case may affect the child, but it still gave the child no right to lash out at his son, or for that crazy aunt to say what she did. He rubbed Harry’s back soothingly.

               “I should have recognized the name when she booked her room,” Isaiah said. “It had just been another phone call and there were so many appointments, I did not put two and two together.”

               “It’s alright, you couldn’t have known,” Severus said. He adjusted Harry against him so Harry’s face wasn’t hiding in his shoulder. “How are you feeling, Harry? Better?”

               Harry shrugged, not moving off his father’s lap.

               “That’s okay. You have so many people fighting for you now, son. You didn’t deserve that in the least.” Severus carded a hand through Harry’s hair before rubbing his back once more. After a moment, Severus asked, “Do you want to stay here with me? Or do you still want to go to the water park with Samuel and Joshua?”

               “Of course, he does,” Joshua answered for Harry. “Don’t you, Harry?”

               “Joshua,” Samuel said, “maybe today isn’t a good day for the water park.”

               “But we were going to ride the Legacy of the Unsinkable?” Joshua grinned at Harry as the boy looked over at him, though he remained on Severus’s lap. “Remember? I was showing you on the pamphlet; it’s the big tube ride that takes us on a pirate adventure. We steal loot, run from a storm, then a big wave drops us from fifty feet high! It’s really fun, right, Dad?”

               “Yes, but . . .” Samuel tried to say but Joshua kept talking.

               “Harry really wanted to ride it, right, bud? We’re gonna be pirates! Arrg!” Joshua closed one eye and scrunched his face up, leaning forward to touch his forehead against Harry’s, who laughed and copied Joshua’s expression. “You want to go steal some treasure, matey?”

               “Arrg!” Harry replied playfully.

               “Let’s go steal treasure!” Joshua declared, grabbing Harry’s hand and pulling Harry off Severus’s lap and running out of the spa with Harry after him. “Come on, Dad!”

               “Joshua, wait up!” Samuel called after his son as the boys disappeared into the hall. Samuel shook his head at Severus, who had a smirk on his face. “Guess we’re off to commit grand larceny. I’ll owl the bail fees later.”

               “Thank you both for taking care of that,” Severus said, “I wouldn’t have even known where to—”  

               “We’re here for you, Severus,” Isaiah said. “You and your two munchkins.”

               Severus smiled at that.

               “Let me know if he starts to withdraw at all,” Severus said to Samuel. “He gets emotionally overwhelmed quickly.”

               “With Joshua taking lead, we might make it through the park,” Samuel said. “But I’ll let you know if we need to come home earlier.”

               “Thank you.”

               “Dad!” Joshua called out again from out in the hall.

               “Relax, Blackbeard, I’m coming,” Samuel called back, earning a chuckle from Severus and Isaiah.

               “Who?” Joshua asked.

               When Samuel left with the boys to the park, Isaiah informed Severus that ministry officials would stop by to ensure no lasting damage was done to anyone after the magical display and Imani’s need to obliviate a few minds. As Harry was a kid and the magic was accidental, the incident was unlikely to be pursued any further after the initial checkup. That gave Severus some relief and he managed to return to the spa and finish his massage before joining Tori in the hot tub, taking the chance to fill her in on what happened before the girls were finished with their princess makeover treatment.

               “From Dudley’s point of view,” Tori said, “he lost everything while Harry gained a family. It must be confusing, considering that he was the loved, spoiled child. Still, Harry didn’t need those old wounds ripped back open.”

               Severus couldn’t agree more. Harry had been improving more and more each day as he healed from the trauma of living with the Dursleys. Sure, he still had his moments, but for the most part, Harry had adjusted well to his new life with his father and sister. This experience could set Harry back emotionally, but Severus would be right there to help Harry through it.

               When the girls finished their pampered treatments, they came running over to the hot tubs Severus and Tori were in. Esther climbed in next to her mother, showing off her nails that had been spelled dry courtesy of a witch working in the spa department.

               Ruth and Iris climbed in opposite their parents and chatted away about some kind of craft they wanted to work on later. Iris quickly showed her father her braided hair and painted nails, reminding Severus of another family problem, Iris’s mother. He had not heard from Dahlia since the day she had left the morning after the kidnapping. He briefly wondered how she was doing, but he figured Dahlia would reach out again when she was ready. Iris did not seem the least bit bothered by her mother’s absence, and as long as Iris was happy with the way things were at for now, he was happy.

               After a long morning of enjoying all the spa had to offer and having lunch at a small diner in town, Severus allowed Iris to go along with Tori and her girls to a craft event being held in one of the hotel lounges. That gave Severus about two hours of peace and quiet where he managed to read a few chapters in his book and practice his occlumency for a solid twenty minutes, something that was very hard to do with children demanding his attention all day long.

               A knock at his door pulled him out of his meditative state and he opened it to find Samuel carrying a tired looking Harry while a sleepy looking Joshua leaned against his father.

               “Busy day?” Severus asked, leaning against the doorframe.

               “You could say that,” Samuel said. “We hit every ride we could—twice. And rode the Legacy of the Unsinkable three times. The boys could not get enough of that one. Harry was a little small for a couple of the rides, but he was a trooper, and we did the ones he could get on.”

               “I’m glad to hear,” Severus said. He took Harry from Samuel, allowing his son to nuzzle into the crook of his neck. “Maybe a light dinner and an early bedtime.”

               “Same for this one,” Samuel whispered, covering Joshua’s ears.

               Joshua gave his father an annoyed look but didn’t argue against the idea. Samuel chuckled and wished Severus a goodnight as he led his son to their own hotel room. Severus closed the door and carried Harry over to the bed, lying his son down. It was nearing four in the afternoon, so he figured if he gave Harry a bath now, they could eat dinner after, then do something quiet until Harry inevitably fell asleep. Iris would be back after dinner, so Severus only had to worry about his son, and Severus figured he could order room service to make things easier on Harry.

               Severus drew a bath for Harry in the large tub, filling it with bubbles and making sure it was nice and warm. He cast a charm to keep everything static while he collected Harry for the bath. Harry was nearly asleep when Severus gently shook his shoulders.

               “Harry, I need you to wake up a little,” Severus said, sitting on the edge of the bed while Harry slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes with a yawn. Then, he fell into Severus limply, wrapping his arms around his father and snuggling into his shoulder. Severus chuckled as he pushed Harry back into an upright position. “I know you’re tired, but you need to take a bath first, then eat a little food before you can go to sleep, alright?”

               “I don’t want a bath,” Harry muttered.

               “Bath is nonnegotiable I’m afraid. You haven’t had one since we got to this hotel. Your sister will be taking one, too, as soon as she gets back, so let’s get yours out of the way.”

               “No. I’m too tired.” Harry leaned into his father again, wrapping his arms around his father’s neck. “I was at a water park, too, so I’m clean.”

               “Nice try. Come on, Harry, a quick bath and you’ll be back in bed with some room service waiting for you. Then you can sleep all you want.”

               Severus tried to pry Harry’s arms from around his neck, but Harry only tightened his grip on Severus’s shoulders when Severus nearly succeeded in pulling Harry away. Harry whined agitatedly but Severus was not having any of it. He finally managed to pull Harry off his person and set his son down on the floor in front of him, but Harry quickly relatched himself to his shoulders. Severus sighed, biting back his annoyance at Harry’s persistence.

               “Harry, please, stop. I want to get this over with as much as you already want it to be done.”

               “I don’t want a bath,” was all Harry said, though a little more firmly.

               “As I’ve said, its nonnegotiable.”

               Severus once more reached up to pull Harry’s arms off him, only this time, he was met with a strong, burning sensation, and he forcibly ripped away from Harry as he cried out in pain and shock, startling Harry who stared at him wide-eyed for a moment before his lower lip trembled and his eyes watered.

               Severus stood up and pulled his shirt off, pausing in front of the vanity table with the mirror as he turned to see his back. As he suspected, two burns in the shape of Harry’s small hands marked his shoulders, and he hissed slightly as he reached around to brush the edge of one mark, swearing in his head at the pain. Harry was openly sobbing out apologies now, but Severus knew Harry had not meant to cause the burns. After today’s events and his poor child’s tired state, it was no surprise his magic was slipping up a bit more tonight.

               “I’m sorry, Daddy!” Harry cried. “I didn’t mean it!”

               “I know, Harry, it was accidental magic.” Severus summoned a burn salve from his emergency first aid kit he had in his suitcase. He opened the jar and scooped up a small amount, applying it to what he could reach.

               Harry saw what Severus was doing after rubbing his eyes under his glasses, and he ran forward and climbed up the chair, standing on it and reaching for the jar Severus was holding. Severus sighed and allowed Harry to take the jar, knowing his son would be able to reach the burn marks better than he could. Harry’s hands trembled and he still sniffled, but he dutifully applied the salve until the burns disappeared. When the burns were gone, Harry lowered his head and sniffed.

               “Did I make it better?” Harry asked.

               “I’m okay, Harry,” Severus said, glancing at his back in the mirror once last time and stretching his shoulders briefly. “You did a very good job.”

               “I am a freak,” Harry said softly, crying softly again.

               “What? No, you are not. Why would you say something like that?” Severus turned around to face his son, tilting the boy’s chin up to see Harry’s face.

               “Dudley said only freaks hurt people they love,” Harry explained. “I didn’t mean to hurt you, Daddy, I didn’t mean it. I wasn’t trying to.”

               “I know,” Severus used his thumbs to wipe away the tears trailing down Harry’s face. “It was accidental magic. You were forgiven the second it happened. You had a very busy day and a rough morning; you usually have accidental spells after days like that. It is completely normal. It doesn’t make you a freak.”

               “I didn’t mean to hurt anyone. I hurt Dudley.”

               “That was accidental magic, too. It reacted in defense of Joshua, remember?”

               “No.” Harry shook his head. “I hurt him before that. I made him lose his parents.”               

               “You did not. His parents made bad choices that forced them to leave their son. They hurt Dudley, not you.”

               “They wouldn’t hurt him.”

               “Not in the same ways that they hurt you, but they still hurt Dudley by breaking the law and putting themselves in jail. That was not your fault.” Severus picked up his son off the chair and sat down in it, holding Harry close. “Listen to me, Harry. You are not responsible for anyone’s behavior but your own. You did make Petunia act the way she did toward you. You did not make her feel no love for you. You did not make her decide that hurting you was okay. It is not your fault that she had to go to jail. Or your uncle for that matter. And you still have an underdeveloped magical core that acts up sometimes, in ways we can never predict. You did not mean to throw Dudley across the room. And you did not mean to hurt me.”

               One last tear trailed down Harry’s cheek and Severus wiped it away with his thumb before kissing his son’s temple.  

               “None of what happened with the Dursleys is your fault. Dudley should not have lashed out at you because he was angry and sad about what his parents did. You are not a freak, Harry. You are a very good, caring, and forgiving child. It was not your fault. Can you say that, Harry?”

               “It’s not my fault.”          

               “What wasn’t your fault?”

               “What happened to Aunt Petunia or Uncle Vernon.” Harry hesitated, then added, “Or Dudley.”

               “Good. And you are not what?”

               Harry hesitated again, meeting his father’s eyes before saying, “A freak.”

               “Very good. One day, I hope you come to truly believe those words, but I will remind you of them as often as you need me to.”

               Harry leaned into his father, hesitantly wrapping his arms around Severus, only for his father to pull him into a tight embrace. They remained like that for a minute before Severus patted his son’s back.

               “Do you think you’re ready for your bath now?”

               Harry nodded and allowed his father to carry him to the bathroom this time. The bath was still warm, and the bubbles were just at the rim, and Harry found himself enjoying the warm water on his tired muscles and he played a little with the bubbles but mostly allowed his father to help him wash up. After fifteen minutes, he was ready to get out of the tub and dried off, and he changed into pajamas while his father ordered them a light dinner. The food came quickly, and Harry ate a little bit while excitedly telling Severus about all the slides he went on with Joshua and Samuel and how he even raced them down slides lying on a mat, and he won.

               After eating, the lights in the room were dimmed, and Harry curled up next to Severus in bed and listened as Severus read aloud from a book. It wasn’t the most interesting to a six-year-old mind; something about plants and their magical properties for potion usage, but Harry loved listening to his father’s deep, rich voice, and that alone sent him drifting off to sleep.

               When Harry fell asleep, Severus read silently to himself as he waited for Iris to arrive from dinner. A knock at the door announced their arrival, and after a quick glance at Harry to see him still sleeping, Severus opened the door to his room and Iris ran in, slowing down at the sight of Harry sleeping in bed.

               “Bye, Iris,” Tori said. She laughed softly when Iris turned back around and whispered, “Shh, Harry’s sleeping.”

               “How was your time with Tori and the girls?” Severus asked.

               “I had a lot of fun, Daddy,” Iris answered.

               “Did you thank Tori for taking you with her to the crafts event?”

               “Thank you, Tori.”

               “You’re welcome, sweetie,” Tori said before meeting Severus’s eyes. “How’s Harry?”

               “We had a bit of an emotional return from the park, but we talked, and I think after some sleep, he might feel better in the morning.”

               Tori gave Severus a sympathetic look before bidding him goodnight and Severus closed the door and ushered his daughter to the bathroom for her bath, keeping it quiet for Harry’s sake. Iris played in the bubbles a lot longer than Harry did, chatting away about all the fun crafts she did that Tori held on to while waiting for them to dry. She couldn’t wait to show Severus what they were.

               After her bath, Severus and Iris curled up next to each other and softly read from one of Iris’s books, taking turns reading every few pages until Iris started nodding off. Severus took over reading until he was sure Iris was asleep before he bookmarked the mage and set the book aside. He adjusted his kids on either side of him carefully before deciding to retire early himself, seeing how Harry would most likely be up at the crack of dawn.

               While this vacation had offered some unexpected surprises, it still was turning out to be one he would never forget. And he hoped his kids were making fond memories themselves.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3645