Barely Functioning, Deeply Loved by krosi
Summary: When six-year-old Harry Potter finds floo powder while cleaning the fireplace, he is accidentally sent over to Severus's Snape's house, where he discovers that Snape is his biological dad, he has a half-sister, and Aunt Petunia has been abusing him all his life. It's almost too much for little Harry to handle. Can Severus help this boy through the traumas he's suffered?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Parental Snape > Godfather Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Out of Character
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 131786 Read: 47972 Published: 23 Jan 2021 Updated: 20 Mar 2024

1. The Chimney Sweep by krosi

2. Meeting Severus Snape by krosi

3. You're Not Leaving by krosi

4. Take Me Home by krosi

5. Regrets by krosi

6. My Little Boy by krosi

7. The Rest of the Family by krosi

8. Quality Time by krosi

9. Aunt Petunia by krosi

10. Emotional Instability by krosi

11. Practice Trial by krosi

12. That Time of Month by krosi

13. How Rainbows are Made by krosi

14. The Trial Part 1 by krosi

15. The Trial Part 2 by krosi

16. The Trial Part 3 by krosi

17. Malfunction by krosi

18. One Big Family by krosi

19. A Bittersweet Day by krosi

20. A Fiery Situation by krosi

21. Emotions Run Wild by krosi

22. Kidnapped by krosi

23. Safety by krosi

24. Nami and Pappy by krosi

25. A Serious Scare by krosi

26. Chasing Rats by krosi

27. Under the Weather by krosi

28. Road Trip by krosi

29. Family Vacation Part 1 by krosi

30. Family Vacation Part 2 by krosi

31. Family Vacation Part 3 by krosi

The Chimney Sweep by krosi

Harry laid out the drop cloths on the floor in front of the fireplace and on the furniture nearby. Aunt Petunia had taught him how to clean the fireplace when he was four years old—that was two years ago, and since it was now being used every night during the cold winter months, he had to clean it on a weekly basis. And he was not to get a single speck of soot on anything but himself.

               When Aunt Petunia had first told him what to do, he had been a bit frightened at first at the idea. He was terrified he would get stuck in the tight-fitting chimney. But he quickly discovered he was plenty small enough, and Aunt Petunia said she made sure to limit his meals even now so he could remain small enough to crawl up the chimney. She called him her personal “little chimney sweep,” and she said it in a way she spoke to Dudley most of the time, and Harry craved to please her just to hear his own term of endearment that he had finally earned from his aunt.

               So, once again, Harry made sure everything was clean and that all his cleaning tools were ready. He grabbed the brush and scraper first and pushed his step ladder into the fireplace. He took off his glasses and set them down next to the fireplace. Climbing to the top step, he reached up and pulled himself up through the throat of the chimney, grabbing on to the dampers and pulling himself onto the smoke shelf. When he was four, he needed Aunt Petunia’s help getting into the chimney, but he prided himself on being able to get in on his own now.

               Once he was on the smoke shelf, he gave it a good scrub. He couldn’t see anything save for the light at the top of the chimney, but he could feel everything very well, and he could tell when most of the soot had broken off. He coughed into his elbow after briefly.

               Now, to shimmy up the flue.

               The first few times he did this, he had bloodied himself up. Now, he had a good strategy that only left him with scraped hands, elbows, and knees. He had to be careful not to tuck his knees too close to his body or arch his back too much or else he might get stuck. He was getting bigger, and he had asked Aunt Petunia what he should do if he did get stuck, and she had warned him that if he ever did get stuck, she would leave him there. So he vowed to do his best to never let himself get stuck in the flue.

               Harry began crawling his way up the chimney, using his brush as he went along, only using the scraper on the hard bits of soot that did not dislodge with his brush. Soot and grime fell over him, falling to the shelf below. Harry only paused for a few seconds to cough harshly, a slight wheeze emitting from his throat. It took a long time to slowly make his way to the top, where his bag was waiting for him. He pushed his tools out of the chimney and grabbed the bag.

               Then, he let himself fall.

               When Aunt Petunia had first instructed him to drop back down, he did so straight as a pencil, and crashed to the hard smoke shelf and injured his leg in the process. It took him even longer to crawl back out that time. But the second time he did it, something amazing happened. His falling slowed down just as he was about to hit the shelf, and he landed lightly on his feet.

               It was freakish stuff, but he decided not to tell Aunt Petunia about it. If he was going to stay in his Aunt’s good books and be her little chimney sweep, he would have to keep this bit of freakish nature to himself. Besides, it worked to his advantage.

               Harry felt his fall slowing down and he landed light as a feather on his feet on the shelf. He used his hands to grab all the soot that had fallen to the shelf (and all over him) and shoved it in the bag. He held the bag in one hand and began his long climb back up. Once a sweep got over the throat and to the shelf, there was only one way out—up.

Finally, Harry made it to the top of the chimney, and he crawled out, coughing soot everywhere. He carefully stepped along the roof over to the ladder Aunt Petunia set out for him before she left for her hair appointment with Dudley. Harry threw the bag to the grass below, then threw his tools down. He carefully stepped down the ladder.

               Once he was on the ground, he dusted himself off as much as he could.

               He was covered in soot from head to toe. This did not bother him much. He was normally a little dirty from all the chimney cleaning anyway. Aunt Petunia only let him bathe after a chimney cleaning since he was dirtiest then, but his baths had to be shorter than ten minutes. It did not offer a lot of time to get all the soot off that built up again and again over the weeks.

               He took note of his hands and feet. They were bleeding slightly, as were his elbows, but he brushed off his wounds.

               Harry ran back into the house with the brush and scraper, leaving the bag of soot outside. Aunt Petunia added the soot to her bags of fertilizer and compost for her gardens, which Harry would tend to later. He had to finish the chimney right now.

               As he entered the house, he saw Aunt Petunia hanging her purse in the closet and helping Dudley take off his coat. She looked at Harry.

               There’s my little chimney sweep,” Aunt Petunia cooed.

               Harry smiled brightly at her as he walked over to the chimney, setting the tools in the bucket.

               “And not a mark on my furniture,” she continued, walking over to Harry. She patted the air above Harry’s head, keeping her hand away from the filthy hair. “Good boy. Make sure it’s spotless for our fire tonight or there will be no supper. And you’ll lose five minutes on your bath time.”

               “Yes, Aunt Petunia.”

               “And don’t get any of your filth on anything. You know Uncle Vernon doesn’t like a dirty couch. Oh, what am I saying, you know what you’re doing—you’re such a hard working boy, you are. I’ll leave you to it.”

               “Okay, Aunt Petunia,” Harry smiled even more, the praise making him feel warm inside. Harry put his glasses back on and crawled into the fireplace and set to scooping out the soot and ash in the into his bucket. Dudley was already jumping on the couch’s drop covers and turning the television on for the cartoons while Aunt Petunia brought him his lunch. 

               Harry’s stomach growled but he ignored it. He didn’t get lunches. Three meals a day was a big no-no for chimney sweeps. He had to stay slim. He only got a small breakfast and sometimes dinner. But Aunt Petunia told him it was necessary—who else would ever be able to clean her chimney? Harry had to be her hero, and he went hungry many nights for the sake of being that hero. It was something—love, affection, care—something! And Harry craved every bit of those moments Aunt Petunia talked sweetly to him, or even dared to pat his head once.

               Harry focused on his cleaning, making sure to get every bit of soot and ash out of the fireplace. As he scooped up some ash from the back of the fireplace, he realized this ash had a strange look to it. It was like white powder with a bit of a sparkle to it. Dumping it in his bucket, he looked down at it.

               He had never seen ash sparkle in all his days cleaning the chimney. It was the strangest thing, and he reached his hand out to it slowly.

               Grabbing a handful of it, he let it sprinkle out into his other hand, watching it shimmer as it did so. He frowned, taking a pinch out of his handful and blowing a big puff of breath at it.

               The powder flew into the air, sprinkling down to the ground.

               Then, the fireplace swallowed him.

               Harry screamed. It felt like he was falling through the air as millions of fireplaces flashed before his eyes. He landed harshly on the ground as he was spat out of a fireplace.

               Jumping to his feet, his eyes darted around. He was in a strange pub like place and many people were staring at him with confused looks. Some of the people were very large men with intimidating scowls and thick arms.

               Harry slowly backed into the fireplace once more. Someone was approaching him. He looked down at his hand to see the powder still in his fist. Wishing for the best and hoping it would take him someplace safe, he threw the powder down, watching it poof around him and glitter.

               The fireplace swallowed him again just as someone tried to grab him.

               He was freefalling once more, past millions of fireplaces. Harry was starting to feel sick and his breathing was picking up, his throat closing uncomfortably. He squeezed his eyes shut and whined, “Just take me home, please!”

               And suddenly, the world stopped, and the fireplace spat him out once more. Harry fell to the ground, his heart pounding in his throat and his breathing jagged.

               He looked up and found himself nose to nose with a stick. Holding the stick was a little redhead girl about his age in a pink butterfly top and jeans. She was standing over him, her dark brown eyes glaring at him.

               “Who are you?” she demanded. “What are you doing here?”

               Harry couldn’t talk though. He couldn’t breathe. He struggled to suck air in through his throat, panting and wheezing heavy. He reached up and clutched at his neck as if it might help.

               “Hey, breathe,” the girl said, lowering the stick and sitting next to Harry, putting a hand on his shoulder. “Deep breaths. In. Out. In. Out.”

               Harry tried to copy her, but it was really hard. She stood up and ran off somewhere before coming back with a glass of water.

               “Here, maybe this will help.”

               Harry took a couple sips, and the cold water did seem to soothe his burning throat, but it still took him a couple minutes before he could breathe normally again. He was shaking, and his eyes burned with tears as he finally calmed down and took a moment to look around.

               “Oh good,” the girl said, sitting down in front of Harry. “A dead body would be hard to explain to my dad. Even I couldn’t talk my way out of that one. What’s all over you? I got it all over my hand.” The girl brushed her hand off on her jeans to little effect.  

               Harry frowned at her, but his eyes wandered around the house. It was a large living space with a couch and two armchairs surrounding the fireplace. He glanced to his right, taking note of the attached dining room and open concept kitchen. 4 Privet Drive could easily fit inside this place alone, and he couldn’t even see the rest of the house. To his left, was a staircase.

               “Where am I?”

               “Err . . . Snape Manor?” the girl looked confused. “I take it you were playing with the floo powder and accidentally shipped yourself here. Is that it?”

               “What?” Harry asked. “No! I was cleaning the chimney and then I saw this strange stuff and it took me all over the place.”

               “That’s floo powder.” The girl nodded before peering closely at Harry. “You look familiar.”

               “I do?”

               The girl leaned closer to Harry, who leaned back anxiously. The girl brushed some of Harry’s hair aside and her eyes widened.

               “You’re Harry!” she said excitedly.

               “Yeah . . . how do you know my name?”

               “You’re my brother!”

               Harry blinked, then slowly shook his head. No, that wasn’t possible. His parents were dead and the only family he had left were the Dursleys. He had to get back to them. This girl was starting to freak him out.

               “Yes, it’s true. Well, half-brother. I’m Iris.”

               “Hi, Iris,” Harry said. He looked down at his hand, but there was no powder left to escape. “How do I get home? Do you have anymore powder left?”

               Iris seemed surprised by the question and her face fell considerably.

               “You want to leave? But we just met. I’m your sister, don’t you want to get to know me?”

               Harry stood up, Iris following his lead.

               “You can’t be my sister—my parents died in a car accident. I’m an only child and I only have the Dursleys left and I need to go back. Aunt Petunia’s probably worried about me.”

               “Your parents didn’t die in a car accident,” Iris said, twirling the stick in her hands. “But your dad was actually your adopted dad. Your real dad is still alive.”

               “He was my real dad!” Harry argued, stomping his foot for emphasis. He may not have known them, but he knew he loved them.

               “I meant,” Iris held her hands up defensively, “your biological dad. He’s my dad, too. He talks about you a lot.”

               Harry frowned. Could it be true?

               “How do I know you’re telling the truth?”

               Iris’s face lit up and she smiled brightly at him.

               “Follow me,” she said.

               Iris ran through the living room and past the kitchen, Harry behind her. She carefully glanced around the hall they were in before she grabbed Harry’s wrist and pulled him into a study.

               “This is Dad’s study,” she said, moving around the large desk that sat against the back wall in front of a window. She began digging through the desk while Harry looked around.

               There were shelves of books and jars of strange things with labels here and there. A large bird cage with an attached stand that stretched out and ended in a hook just to the left side of the desk caught his attention. There were feathers at the bottom of the cage but no sign of a bird anywhere. A water and food dish had a place inside as well, but it looked untouched. Harry’s eyes fell on the desk.

               Journals and strange, crinkly paper littered the desk, some books were open on it as well, with more feathers in a case where pencils and pens would normally go. Harry picked up one of the feathers and felt its softness before he spotted the picture frames.

               One was of Iris in what looked like a school uniform—a plaid skirt and white top. She was leaning against a wooden fence and flowerpots were hanging on either side of her. She was smiling radiantly.

               There was another picture of her hugging a tall, dark clothed man who was leaning down next to her, her arms tight around his neck. The ma was also smiling, and Harry knew it was the father Iris was talking about. Before he could pick up the frame and get a good look at the man, he saw one more picture frame on the desk and his heart nearly stopped.

               It was a picture of himself.

               Harry picked up the picture and stared. It really didn’t look like him at all. In the picture, he was sitting out by the garden, a small smile on his face as he looked up at what had to be a camera. What Harry found odd was the lack of tools around him—he always had his tools with him when he went out to the garden. And he his cheeks looked fuller than they actually were, and his hair was cleaner. His face also looked clean as well, which was a rare circumstance. And his clothes looked brighter rather than the dull appearance the usually had.

               “This isn’t me,” Harry said, “it’s just some look alike.”

               “It is, too, you,” Iris said. “Look at the scar.”

               Harry looked back at the frame and his eyes widened at his trademark scar.

               “And there’s more where that came from,” Iris said, closing a drawer and dropping several pictures on the desk.

               Harry was shocked. There were many pictures of him at different stages of his life. First, as a young baby. He picked that one up: it was the first time he had ever seen his mother. She had red hair just like Iris, but green eyes like his. She was staring down admirably at the little curly haired baby in her arms. Another picture was still him as a baby, but both parents were present. He looked a lot like his father, how could this girl claim that anyone else could be his father?

               And there were so many more pictures. Words were scribed on the back: Harry’s first steps, his first food, his first swing set, his first Halloween and Christmas, his first birthday, and then those photos stopped. There were no more words on the back. The rest were just pictures with no backstory.

A young toddler Harry sitting near a Christmas tree looking up in awe. Harry frowned, he was never allowed to go near or touch the tree, but when everyone was asleep, he had always snuck out of his cupboard to get a good look.

Another picture saw him picking flowers in the garden as a three-year old. Harry vaguely remembered that. It was Mother’s Day, and Dudley and Uncle Vernon had brought flowers for Aunt Petunia. Little Harry had wanted to do the same, but it only resulted in Aunt Petunia screaming at him for murdering her beautiful garden and he had been tossed in his cupboard and locked in for the rest of the night.

There was another one where Harry was off to school. He was smiling next to Dudley. That picture had more truth to it, as it was more for show in Aunt Petunia’s case. She made sure to take several more of just Dudley in front of the school.

And the pictures continued up until the most recent one in the frame on the desk. Harry was more confused and slightly frightened.

“Who took all of these?”

“My dad’s boss,” Iris said. “Dad just wanted to know how you were doing. He wanted to watch you grow up. It was going fine before when Lily and James would bring you over to visit. They made him your second godfather you know.”

“Lily and James?”

“Your parents.”

“No one ever told me there names before.” Harry picked up a picture that had his parents and him as a baby in it.

“Really? That’s strange. Dad says he misses not being able to have those visits anymore, but he said its all for the best that you’re with your relatives. I never agreed, but I’m not allowed to tell anyone that you’re my brother, so . . .”

“But how can I be your brother when I look just like my dad.”

“You look like James because of some spell I think. Adoption spell or whatever.”

“A spell?”

“Yeah. You know . . . magic.”

“Now, I know you’re lying.” Harry pointed an accusatory finger at Iris. “Magic isn’t real! Your dad isn’t my dad!”

“Yes, he is and magic is too real.” Iris held out the stick she had been carrying and pointed it at him. “I can prove it.”

“That’s just a stick!”

“Oh yeah?” Iris flicked it and Harry couldn’t help but flinch at the movement.

Bubbles erupted from the end of the stick and danced all around him, glowing different colors before they popped.

“See, magic.”

Harry watched the bubbles as they continued popping, their colors flashing around him. He blinked and frowned at the stick.

“This is a wand,” Iris said proudly. “It’s what a witch or wizard uses to make magic. Has anything strange ever happened around you before? You know, like things moving on their own or your hair changing color?”

Harry knew several instances where strange, freakish things had occurred around him. But he wouldn’t call those things magic. That was just him being a freak.

“Not really,” he said.

“Come on, there’s gotta be something.”

               “Well, I made all my hair grow back when Aunt Petunia shaved it all off one time.”

               “Aha. See? You have magic. And you probably do it a lot more than you think. Kids make a lot of accidental magic. We don’t mean to, but we can’t help it either. Our core is still growing and releases itself sometimes.”

               “Even with a wand?” Harry asked, pointing at the stick in Iris’s hand.

               “Well . . .” Iris looked at her wand and twirled it. She licked her lips before saying, “This isn’t a real wand. It’s a kid’s wand that shoots bubbles. But that’s still magic. The bubbles change colors and all and it can even make music.”

               “But it’s fake,” Harry pouted. He knew it was all too good to be true. She was just a lying girl.

               “No, it’s not. It’s fun and it’s magic. Follow me.”

               Iris led the way to the kitchen, Harry still holding on to the picture of his parents. She pointed up at the top cabinet where glassware was settled.

               “I’m going to get a glass down. Watch.”

               Iris stared intently the cabinets, her face scrunching in concentration. Harry watched for a few seconds before crossing his arms and glaring at Iris. Iris huffed in frustration, glanced at Harry, then focused on the cabinet again. Her fists clenched at her sides and her brows furrowed more.

               “Come on . . .” she growled under her breath.    

               Suddenly, a glass slid across the paper slider in the cabinet. Harry lowered his arms and watched surprised as the glass slid again, closer to the edge of the cabinet this time. It clanked against the door.

               “Wow,” Harry said. “You’re doing that?”

               Iris smirked but didn’t answer. She kept staring at the glass that was tapping against the cabinet door’s glass. She flexed and clenched her fists again, willing the door to open and for the glass to come to her. Suddenly, the cabinet doors flew open and all the glassware came crashing down on the two kids, shattering, and sending shards flying through the air.

               Harry and Iris screamed.

               Footsteps sounded on the stairs and they came running for the kitchen. An older, plump lady in a strange dress-like costume burst into the kitchen, another stick, no, a wand, in her hand and at the ready.

               “What happened?” she shouted. “Oh dear, Iris, are you okay? Don’t move, you might cut yourself. Oh . . .”

               The woman stared at Harry for a minute, blinking at him.

               “Hello, dear,” she said. “Who are you?”

               “This is Harry,” Iris said, brushing glass off herself and wincing at the scratches on her arms. “He accidentally came over here in the floo.”

               Harry hid the picture behind his back, afraid this woman might take it away from him.

               “Harry.” Iris smiled at him as she gestured to the woman. “This is Addie. She’s my nanny.”

               “Hi,” Harry offered a small wave.

               Addie waved back before flicking her wand at the mess on the floor and it all vanished.

               “Come kids,” she motioned for them to come to her. “Let me look you over and get you all cleaned up. Then, I’m calling your father, Iris.”

               Iris huffed but walked over to Addie. Harry hesitated. Would this man actually claim to be his father as well? He didn’t really want to meet this mystery man. He was confused, and the only life he had ever known was trapped in a fireplace somewhere. He glanced down at the picture of his parents. His family was gone. He only had the Dursleys left. And he had to get back to them.

               “Come, dear,” Addie said, waving him forward once more. “I want to make sure you’ve got no glass in you.”

               “Come on, Harry,” Iris encouraged.

               Harry followed Iris and Addie out of the kitchen and to a large bathroom, keeping just behind the two. Addie said something strange as she swished her wand and a small, silvery meerkat appeared and sat on its hind legs and listened. Harry watched fascinated.

               “Severus Snape, there has been an incident with Iris, and you are needed home urgently,” Addie told the meerkat. She shooed it away. “Run along.”

               The meerkat darted away and vanished through the bathroom wall.

               Addie turned her attention on the two kids sitting on the edge of the tub. 

               She looked over Iris first.

               “What happened in there?” she asked as she began using her wand to carefully pull pieces of glass out of Iris’s arm.

               “I was showing Harry that magic is real,” Iris said, hissing as a rather large piece was pulled from her bicep. “He didn’t believe me, so I was trying to make a glass come down to me but instead all the glasses came.”

               “I’ve told you not to try to encourage your magic, it is unpredictable at your age. Occasional accidents are one thing, but purposely trying to create disaster . . .”

               “I wasn’t trying to create disaster. Just get a glass.”

               “You’re going to give me more grey hairs on my head, young lady.”

               “Your hair is already grey.”

               “Well, it’s going white!”

               Harry sat in silence, staring down at his picture. He listened to the two talk while wondering what the fastest way might be out of the house before this Severus Snape character arrived. These people were strange. If Aunt Petunia were here, she’d have a lot to say about these freaky things happening. But Addie and Iris treated it like it was an everyday occurrence.

               “Looks like that’s all of them,” Addie said, giving Iris one last look over. “Your father will have something more for it, I’m sure.”

               “Can’t you just put some healing salve on it or something? Did you have to call him?”

               “You know he likes to be told when you get injured. And this isn’t a scraped knee, young lady, you were playing around with your magic again and broke several of his dishes. And . . .” Addie jerked her head toward Harry.

               Harry didn’t move. Addie kneeled in front of him and smiled.

               “Hello, dearie,” she said, gently taking his wrist and pulling his arm out to look over. “I’m going to make sure you haven’t any glass in your skin. My wand will pull any out if you do, but you’ll hardly feel it. Anywhere hurt in particular?”

               Harry shrugged. Nowhere on him hurt. Addie tsked at the small pieces of glass her wand managed to find and pull out of his arms. Addie glanced at his legs, then looked at Harry’s back and gasped. Harry looked tried to look at his back too but couldn’t see anything. Iris swung her head around and her eyes widened at the large piece of a wine glass stem embedded into Harry’s shoulder.

               “Bloody hell,” Iris said, “you didn’t feel that?”

               “Language, Iris!” Addie snapped as she studied the glass in Harry’s shoulder. She hovered her wand over it while she had an internal debate on what the right move might be here. 

               Footsteps came running down the hall and into the bathroom.

               A tall man in a black dress-like material stopped in the doorway, his shoulder length black hair a bit frazzled.

               “What happened? Is Iris all right? Do we need a healer? Is there . . .”

               The man trailed off as his eyes fell on Harry and he stared for a long, intense minute.  

 

To be continued...
Meeting Severus Snape by krosi

Severus could not take his eyes off the young boy sitting on the edge of the bathtub.

               “Nothing like that, Severus,” Addie waved him off, snaping him out of his stupor. She patted Harry’s uninjured shoulder. “Just some glass wounds. But I’m afraid this one has a particularly deep piece in his shoulder.

               Severus blinked and shook his head before entering the bathroom. He glanced at Iris before kneeling in front of Harry, taking Addie’s place. He slowly reached up and gently stroked a thumb along Harry’s cheek, then looked at the black smear he managed to rub off.

               “What is this?” Severus asked, wiping his hand on his robe. “You look like a chimney sweep.”

               Hearing a familiar term, Harry perked up and smiled.

               “I am,” he said.

               “What?” Severus asked as an uneasy laugh escaped his lips.

               “A chimney sweep,” Harry explained. “Like you said.”

               “You know what that is?”

               Harry nodded.

               “And you actually climb up the chimney to clean it.”

               “Aunt Petunia says I’m the only one who could ever do it for her. She needs me. I have to go home and finish it.”

               Severus looked back at Addie, who had a look of horror on her face, her jaw slack. The two shared a look before Severus turned back to Harry. He carefully looked at Harry’s hands and elbows, taking note of the small cuts along his arms before turning his attention to the glass impaled in his shoulder. Severus pulled out his wand and cast a numbing spell and another spell to cut away the thin shirt. He felt along Harry’s skin where the glass pierced.

               “Doesn’t feel like it’s too deep,” Severus muttered. “Wouldn’t have struck a nerve or artery. But it is going to hurt. Harry, I need you to take several deep breaths for me, all right? Can you do that for me?”

               Harry took a deep breath in and out.

               “Keep going,” Severus said, “I’ll tell you when to stop.”

               Harry kept going, not entirely sure why he had to take deep breaths.

               “Nice and slow. Breath in. Hold. Breath out. Slowly.”

               Harry did it again. And again. This was strange, but nothing about today seemed normal. As he slowly released another breath, a sharp and sudden pain shot down his arm and forced a quick intake of breath again. He held it for a few seconds as his mind processed what happened. Then he let out a soft, “owwww,” before crying softly as he reached back to rub his shoulder.

               Severus had moved quickly and used his wand to slip the glass out of Harry’s shoulder as the boy let out a breath. He was not surprised when Harry started crying, but he felt sympathetic for the child as he set the glass down.

               “I’m sorry,” Severus said, patting the boy’s other shoulder. “I know that must have really hurt but you were very brave for it. I’m going to put a healing salve on it for you, okay? It won’t hurt anymore.”

               Harry was still crying and only nodded at Severus’s words. Anything to make the pain go away. Then he was leaving for sure.

               Severus summoned a container and then rubbed a generous amount of the salve over the wound on Harry’s back. This salve also had antimicrobial properties. Once Severus finished that, he fixed Harry’s shirt with the swish of his wand and moved to do the boy’s arms. As he rubbed the salve on the many small cuts, the white salve turned grey as it mixed with the soot and his hands turned black as he rubbed the boy’s arms.

               “You are in desperate need of a bath,” Severus said.

               “I get one tonight,” Harry said.

               “I would hope so. When were you cleaning a chimney?”

               “Today. I do it weekly in the winter months. It has to get done or the house will get cold.”

               “You do it weekly?” Severus finished with Harry’s arms and washed his hands before moving to Iris and looking her over before giving her the same treatment. “How long have you been doing this?”

               “Umm . . .” Harry frowned in thought. “Since I was four.”

               “Four years old?” Severus stopped what he was doing and stared at Harry. He shook his head as he finished rubbing the salve on her arms. “Unbelievable,” he muttered.

               “I’m good at it,” Harry said, sensing something off in Severus’s tone. “Really good.”

               Severus didn’t say anything as he closed the salve and gave his daughter one last look over. Harry swallowed dryly as he looked back down at his picture.

               “I have to go back and finish or Aunt Petunia won’t be happy. Do you have any more powder?”

               “Powder?” Severus asked, raising a brow at Harry.

               “He means floo powder,” Iris said. “That’s how he got here.”

               “There was floo powder in your fireplace?” Severus asked.

               Harry nodded.

               “Interesting,” Severus said as he stood up and closed his salve, sending it flying back to his lab.

               Harry watched in awe.

               “How did you do that?” Harry asked. He looked at his arms. “And I’m all better. Can I get some to take home?”

               “We’ll see,” Severus said, leaning against the bathroom sink. “First, I’d like you to take a bath.”

               “I get one tonight. After I finish the fireplace.”

               “I’d rather you take one now.”

               “But then I’ll just get all dirty again.”

               “You’re not cleaning anymore fireplaces,” Severus said, frowning now.

               “I have to!” Harry said, standing up and stomping his feet. “I have to finish the job or Aunt Petunia won’t be happy.”

               “Calm down. I’m not sending you back there tonight. I need to think some things through.”

               “You can’t keep me here!” Harry cried, his eyes watering up. He stomped his foot again. “Take me home now! Aunt Petunia needs me. She’s going to miss me and she doesn’t even know what happened to me and now I’m stuck here. You have to take me back. Please. She’s going to lock me in my cupboard if I don’t go back right now. Take me home. You have to take me home.”

               Harry felt his throat closing up on him and he started wheezing as he pleaded with Severus. He choked slightly on the last sentence and reached a hand up to his throat. His chest tightened on him.

               “I can’t breathe,” Harry wheezed, tears trailing down his cheeks.

               Severus was on his knees in front of Harry instantly.

               “Hey, take it easy,” he said. “Deep breaths. Nice and slow. Breath with me, deep breath in. Deep breath out. Come on, sit down. I’ve got you. Slow deep breaths.”

               Harry found himself sitting next to Severus on the bathroom floor. He tried to listen to the man and take deep breaths but it was hard to get air down his hurting throat. It was like he was breathing through a straw and he coughed and nearly choked.

               “Relax,” Severus said, patting his back. “Slow deep breaths.”

               Addie handed something to Severus, and he accepted it, giving it a quick shake.

               “Unfortunately, I don’t have an inhaler, but you can sip this,” Severus said, holding a small vial to Harry’s lips. “It’ll have the same effect.”

               Harry took a tiny sip of whatever the man was offering, but he felt like he was going to sick up and he swallowed quickly and turned away.

               “That’s yucky!”

               “You need a little more than that.”

               “I don’t want it! You’re poisoning me.” Harry started crying again, coughing once more, but Severus held the vial to his lips again.

               “I am not. It is medicine for you. It’s not going to taste good. Another sip. Please? For me?”

               Harry’s lower lip trembled but he bravely took another sip of the disgusting medicine. He never had medicine before, but Dudley always fought Aunt Petunia when he had to take it, so maybe it was this disgusting. He managed a good swallow this time, and the effects were nearly instant.

               His throat opened back up and his chest relaxed. Harry breathed easier and leaned against Severus exhausted.

               “He did that earlier,” Iris said, pointing at Harry. “When he came through the floo.”

               “Same thing?” Severus asked her.

               Iris nodded. “I gave him some water.”

               “That was very good of you,” Severus praised. He gently rubbed Harry’s arm. “Do you have an inhaler at home?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “No? But you have asthma, don’t you?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “Hmm,” Severus commented, giving Harry’s arm another rub. “I see.”

               Harry wasn’t sure what to think of Severus now. The man made his throat stop hurting and he was rubbing his arm. No one had ever done something like that before. Aunt Petunia had always told him to cough somewhere else whenever he went through something like that, and she would never touch him for longer than a few seconds. It was strange. This house was very strange.

               “Ladies,” Severus said, “may we have the bathroom?”

               Addie nodded and ushered Iris out with a hand on her shoulder.

               “Why did you ask them to leave?” Harry asked.

               “So, you can take your bath.”

               “I have to finish the fireplace.”

               “I’ll finish it for you. Today is your rest day.”

               “I don’t get a rest day.”

               “Well, this will be your first. Then you’ll be able to clean a thousand chimneys in no time.”

               “Really?”

               “After a bath, of course.”

               Harry looked at the bathtub and nodded. He could do that. And it was genuinely nice of Severus to finish cleaning the fireplace for him so he could rest. But what would Aunt Petunia say? He should go make sure it was okay with her first.

               “I have to ask Aunt Petunia if it’s okay first.”

               “I already spoke with her. She said yes.”

               “Oh. Really? I’m not getting locked in my cupboard?”

               “No.” Severus’s eyes flashed mysteriously, but Harry hardly noticed.

               “Okay.” Harry agreed.

               Severus helped the child up and began running a bath for the boy, making sure it wasn’t too hot. He set out a towel for him and added bubbles to the water, much to Harry’ delight.

               “I never have bubbles!” Harry clapped.

               “Well, enjoy them for as long as you want.” Severus turned off the water once it was full and looked at Harry. “Do you know how to take a bath?”

               Harry nodded.

               “Okay. You get in and soak up and I’m going to find you some clothes, all right? I’ll check in on you in a few minutes.”

               “Okay.” Harry took off his glasses and set them on the counter.

               Severus picked up the picture off the floor.

               “No, I want that!” Harry suddenly cried, reaching for the picture. “It’s all I have of my parents now.”

               “Relax,” Severus said. “I’ll make you a copy. It’s all I have too, you know.”

               “Oh,” Harry said, looking down at his feet. Now he was being selfish. “I’m sorry.” 

               “It’s not your fault. Get in the tub. I’ll be back with some clothes for you.”

               Severus left Harry in the bathroom, shutting the door behind him and moving to his study. He picked up the other pictures thrown on his desk and set them back in his drawer. He paused as he stared at the one of Lily holding a baby Harry. Her son truly did look like her. And James. And himself at that. He frowned as he put the picture away and stared at the framed photo on his desk. The child in his bathroom did not look like this healthy boy in the photo.

               For the first time, the thought that the photos of his child were manipulated crossed his mind, and he felt his heart twist. He should have checked up on Harry himself. He shouldn’t have trusted the headmaster unquestionably when they decided to leave Harry with his relatives, hoping he would have the best chance at happiness there.

               His decision on that had not been an easy one. When Lily and James had been murdered, he had been going through the grief of losing a very close friend, as well as a breakup with his girlfriend at the time, and a custody battle that quickly followed. He did not believe he would be able to care for two toddlers on his own, and he accepted Albus Dumbledore’s idea of leaving Harry at another blood relatives. Albus had agreed to secretly capture some pictures of Harry when he could for Severus.

               And now, the truth was too much for him. His son was a chimney sweep. How could Petunia stoop so low as to bring back an archaic torture? With his child nonetheless. He knew he had some explaining to do to Harry, and all in good time. Right now, he had to clean the boy up and feed him.

               And somehow convince him to stay. He wasn’t sure why Harry thought going back to his aunt was at all a good idea. Perhaps there was some kind of attachment he was missing. He could dwell on that later. He should find the boy some clothes. Severus set the picture frame down and glanced up. He nearly had a heart attack at the sight of Harry standing in his doorway wrapped in a towel.

               “What are you doing?” Severus asked.

               “I’m all done.”

               “You’re done? It’s been less than five minutes.”

               “I only have ten minutes.”

               Severus snorted.

               “Son, we’re going to need a lot more than ten minutes to clean you up.” Severus sighed and walked around his desk and walked over to Harry. “Come on. Let’s go take a real bath, all right?”

               Harry tilted his head but followed Severus back to the bathroom. He watched as Severus refilled the tub and added more bubbles to it, checking the heat of the water as he waited for it to finish filling. Once the tub was ready, Severus rolled up his sleeves and sat on the edge of the tub.

               “In you go.”

               “But I’m all done.”

               “Not quite. Come on, get in.”

               Harry slowly stepped in the tub, allowing Severus to take the towel from him as he did. He frowned as he sat down in the water, watching Severus pick up a bar of soap and lather up a washcloth. Then, he began gently scrubbing Harry’s shoulders and back. Harry could never reach back there, so he usually just focused on what he could reach. It felt kind of nice having someone rub his back for him. He looked up at Severus and asked:

               “Are you my real dad?”

               Severus hesitated, meeting Harry’s eyes before saying, “Yes.”

               “What about . . . err James?”

               “He is your real dad, too. He blood adopted you as a baby.”

               “What’s that mean?”

               “It’s an old ritual. You two shared blood and that is why you have some of his looks. You also have your mother’s eyes, and some of my looks. I quite like it actually.”

               Severus moved on to Harry’s arms, scrubbing as rough as he was willing to while remaining gentle.

               “Were you married to my mummy?”

               “No. We were very close friends, though. I loved her very much. But she was also falling in love with James at the same time she was with me. After our . . . little fling, she decided James was the one, and we agreed that we would let James blood adopt our baby—you—and I would be your godfather, so I could still see you. At that time, I was also falling in love more with Dahlia, Iris’s mother.”

               “Are you married?”

               “No. Dahlia and I broke up a few years ago.”

               “Oh. So where’s Dahlia?”

               “At her own place. Iris visits her on a weekend once a month and on two holidays.”

               “Why?”

               “Cause that’s what we agreed on in court. Now, enough about me, how about you. Tell me about your . . . cupboard.”

               “I’m not supposed to talk about it.”

               “Why not?”

               Harry shrugged as he lifted a leg slightly while Severus scrubbed away.   

               “Okay, how about chimney sweeping? Do you enjoy that?”

               “It’s hard but it makes Aunt Petunia happy, so I like it.”

               “Do you,” Severus mused, as he tickled Harry’s feet slightly with the washcloth, earning a small laugh. “What else do you like to do?”

               “I can garden!” Harry exclaimed, sitting up slightly as Severus gently wiped at his face. “That’s fun, but sometimes I get really dirty and have to be hosed off before I go back inside. Oh, and I love making breakfast! I make the best scrambled eggs. And I keep the kitchen real clean too, no mess at all.”

               “Well, I can’t wait to try some of these scrambled eggs of yours.” Severus said as he set the washcloth aside and picked up the shampoo bottle. He squirted a generous amount in his hands and rubbed them together before lathering Harry’s messy curls up. “What about school? Do you like that?”

               “Sometimes. But I’m not supposed to.”

               “Not supposed to like school?”

               “I’m not supposed to be better than Dudley. Besides, school’s no fun. Dudley chases me around and won’t let anyone be my friend.”

               “I see.” Severus carefully rinsed Harry’s hair by scooping water up and brushing it through Harry’s hair.

               “If you’re my daddy, why don’t I live with you?”

               “I was in a rough place when your parents died,” Severus answered honestly, as he scooped up more water to rinse the suds off Harry’s body. “I did not think I could handle two little toddlers and my own grief at the same time. And I thought you would be safe with your relatives. Spoiled, even.”

               “I’m safe.”

               “Hmm,” was Severus’s only response.

               “Can I come visit?”

               “Visit?” Severus frowned.

               “Yeah. I like Iris. She’s cool. And you’re my dad, so I should visit.”

               “I think you’ll do more than visit, but we don’t have to talk about that now.” Severus wiped his hands on the towel Harry had and stood up. “Enjoy the bath for a few minutes while I go get you some clothes.”

               Harry nodded and Severus left the bathroom. He walked up the stairs to his daughter’s room and grabbed a pair of her pajamas and underwear. Harry looked very similar in size to Iris, and he could always resize them if needed. He turned the pick butterflies into green dinosaurs and walked back down the stairs. Pausing in the kitchen to see what Addie and Iris were up to.

               “We’re making dinner, Daddy,” Iris announced as she helped Addie add more potatoes to the pot, standing on her tiptoes on the step stool. “Are you staying tonight or going back to work?”

               “I think Hogwarts can wait,” Severus said, placing a hand on top of her daughter’s head. She stared up at him with a big grin and Severus gave her forehead a quick kiss. “Lean back away from the stove, sweetie. Addie, a word?”

               Severus and Addie stepped just outside the kitchen doorway where they could see Iris but kept their voices down.

               “About Harry . . .”

               “He’s not going back to those awful relatives,” Addie interrupted. “A chimney sweep? In all my years, why, I’ve never . . .”

               “I know,” Severus said. “He’s not going back. I’m going to have to take this to muggle court, however. But how do I say how he ended up here? He fell out of my fireplace?”

               “Say he ran away.”

               “He wants to go back.”

               “Really?” Addie made a face at that.

               “He speaks rather highly of “Aunt Petunia.” I think he believes she loves him; despite everything she’s done to him.”

               “Well,” Addie peered into the kitchen at Iris. “she’s all he’s ever known. Just stick with the running away by accident story. Maybe he was chimney sweeping, had an asthma attack and was confused and wandered off and you picked him up off the street during a business trip. That might work. Then he told you how he was treated, and you just couldn’t let that go. I would get the police involved sooner rather than later.”

               “Dammit, I should have taken a picture.”

               “Do you know how to take a picture from a memory?”

               “That’s brilliant. You’ll have to show me. I need to get back to Harry and you need to make sure we have some soup with our potatoes.”

               Addie looked back in the kitchen to see Iris throwing more cut up potatoes in the pot.

               “Iris, I said no more,” she scolded as she went back to the stove.

               Severus smirked, then moved down the hall back to the bathroom. He saw Harry playing with the bubbles in the bath, giving himself a beard and giggling. Severus snorted before entering, startling Harry, who slapped the bubbles away and waited patiently.

               “You’re more than welcome to play with the bubbles,” Severus said. He grabbed a clean towel and held it open for Harry. “I think you’ve been in there long enough. Out with you.”

               Harry stood and allowed Severus to wrap him in the towel, then lift him out of the bath and onto the fuzzy bathmat.

               “Much better,” Severus said, brushing some stray hairs out of Harry’s face.

               “I’ve never been this clean before,” Harry said, putting his glasses back on and looking down at himself. “No one’s every given me a bath before.”

               “No?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “Do you think Aunt Petunia will hug me now that I’m really clean? She doesn’t like dirt.”

               Severus sighed at that and decided not to answer. He handed the fresh clothes over to Harry.

               “Dry off and get dressed, okay, honey? Then I think dinner will be ready.”

               “When do I go back?”

               “Not now. Remember, it’s your rest day.”

               Harry accepted that answer and began drying himself off. Severus let Harry be and rejoined the ladies in the kitchen to see where he could help. He was quickly shooed out, however, so he went back to his study, remembering he would make a copy of the picture Harry liked so much. He duplicated the picture with a charm then shoved it in an inner robe pocket. Pausing outside the bathroom door, he knocked.

               “Harry? Do you need any help?”

               The door opened and Harry jumped out with a roar.

               “Oh my,” Severus smiled. “I’ve created a little monster.”

               “I’m a dinosaur,” Harry said. He held out the edge of his shirt. “See.”

               Severus pulled the hem out of Harry’s hands and flattened it out, adjusting the pajamas on Harry. He was quite pleased Harry liked them so much.

               “I’m sorry,” Harry suddenly said, looking contrite, his head lowered, and his lower lip puckered out. “I shouldn’t have tried to scare you like that.”

               “You were playing,” Severus said, summoning a comb and combing out Harry’s hair. “It’s what kids do.”

               “Aunt Petunia said I shouldn’t play like that. It’s a waste of what could be good work.”

               “You’re not working here,” Severus said. He pulled at some knots, surprised at how messy Harry’s hair actually was. And how long it was. “You need a trim.”

               “No one’s ever combed my hair before,” Harry said. He patted his hair when Severus was done. “You made it flat. It looks like yours now.”

               “It’s curling back up,” Severus said. “I don’t believe there’s much taming of those. Come on. Dinner is ready.”         

               It was hard convincing Harry to eat any more than three bites of his soup and a bite of his salad. Addie, who would normally leave before dinner was served, decided to stay until the police arrived, who Severus had called right before sitting down to eat. He watched Harry mostly, his own food forgotten until Iris took it upon herself to scold him for not eating his vegetables.

               After dinner, Iris showed Harry around the manor, running upstairs and downstairs to show off rooms in a random order, both kids laughing all the while. Severus took the chance to capture a picture from his memory of Harry covered in soot with Addie’s help, then he turned one of the guest rooms into Harry’s new bedroom, painting the walls blue and putting dinosaur bedsheets on the full-size bed.

               The police arrived just as he finished with the bedroom, and Severus showed them the picture and shared the story Addie had come up with earlier, Addie piping in as a witness. Harry was called down and the boy obediently answered the officer’s questions about chimney sweeping, and he even went into great detail about how he did it and how often. Harry even said that he wasn’t allowed to eat much because he had to stay small enough to fit up the chimney. He sounded proud of himself. When asked about the cupboard, he once again said he wasn’t allowed to talk about it.

               With that, the police had enough information, and when Severus explained he was Harry’s godfather and provided the paper proof, they allowed Harry to stay with him while the situation was sorted out.

               When that was finished, the two kids went back to exploring the house, Iris excitedly showing off every inch of her pink room.

               Finally, eight o’clock rolled around and Severus captured both kids, throwing them over his shoulders. They squealed and shrieked in his ears, but he was quite used to the volume. He settled Iris in her bed first, giving her a kiss goodnight and turning out the light.

               He set Harry down at the doorway of his new bedroom.

               “Well, what do you think?”

               “It’s so cool.” Harry ran in the room and stopped short of the bed. “This is where I will stay?”

               “It’s your room,” Severus said, picking Harry up and putting him on the bed.

               “Oh, I’m not supposed to be—”

               “Rest day,” Severus reminded. “Remember? It’s your room and this is your bed.”

               “My room?” Harry looked down at the blanket, then grinned and crawled down to the big dinosaur on his blanket. “Look, T-rex.”

               “Very good,” Severus commented, sitting on the edge of the bed. He helped Harry get under the blanket, the young boy yawning as he curled up before his eyes widened and he sat up.

               “I have to take the garbage out. And clean up after dinner. And make sure to lock the front door.”

               “Relax,” Severus said, pushing Harry back down. “You’re not at your relatives. Besides, Addie’s already taken care of all that. You’re tired. Go to sleep.”

               “I’ve never slept in a bed like this before,” Harry said, rubbing his eyes.

               “Then enjoy it,” Severus encouraged.

               “When am I going back?”

               “I don’t think you’ll be going back.”

               “Why not?” Aunt Petunia will miss me.”

               “Miss you?” Severus stroked a thumb across Harry’s cheek. “Honey, she made you crawl up a chimney. And it’s making you sick.”

               “I have to. No one else can clean it. She needs me.”

               Severus sighed, staring down sadly at Harry.

               “We’ll talk in the morning about this, kiddo,” Severus said. He leaned down and gave Harry a kiss on his temple. “Go to sleep.”

               Harry blinked up at him with a smile before closing his eyes. Severus set the copy of the photo he made and set it on the nightstand next to the bed. He walked out of the room quietly, closing the door behind him. He paused outside the bedroom door, leaning back against it and staring at the ceiling. All those photos of a happy, healthy, little boy flooded his mind, and he now knew how much of those were definitely fake. Or at the least, manipulated. He closed his eyes as he sank down to the floor, resting an arm over a knee and staring at the opposite wall.

               Severus didn’t know how to feel about it all—how to feel about Albus messing with the photos he secretly collected; how to feel about Petunia abusing her son; how to feel about the floo powder in a muggle fireplace; or how to feel about his failure as a father to Harry. He should have checked in on Harry himself, despite Albus’s wishes to keep away. He didn’t understand Albus’s ulterior motives, but the logic seemed sound: Harry was settled in at his relatives and doing well. That had been fine to live with until Harry showed up in his house.

               A chimney sweep. Of all the things in the world, his poor child was subjected to that. He ran a hand through his hair, tugging at the ends. He wasn’t ready to add another child into his life. He struggled enough as it was with Iris and the problems her mother presented. He would have to make it happen, though. There was no way he was sending Harry back to those wretched people. He was the only family Harry had left now.

 

To be continued...
You're Not Leaving by krosi

 

               Severus had still been awake when Harry began coughing in his sleep. He had been just about to ready himself for bed when Harry’s dry, wheezy cough started up. Severus almost went to the boy immediately, but he stopped himself and decided to take note. He listened to Harry’s struggle for nearly thirty minutes, mentally reminding himself of how it sounded and how it persisted. The wheezing only worsened and Severus finally broke and headed to Harry’s room.

               Harry was lying down under the covers in a poor attempt to muffle his coughing. Severus pulled the blanket back and gathered Harry in his arms, patting the boy’s back while he carried him downstairs.

               He set Harry down on the kitchen counter and summoned the potion he had given Harry earlier.     

               “I don’t want medicine,” Harry said with a pout before coughing again.

               “I know,” Severus said. “But you need it.”

               “No,” Harry argued. “Aunt Petunia just gives me a lot of cough drops and sometimes tea. She says if that doesn’t help then I can croak.”

               Severus’s eyes widened at that, and he was glad Harry was busy coughing into his hands to take note of his expression. Petunia had actually told Harry that to his face? By the way Harry nonchalantly said it, the young child clearly did not understand the implication. Severus sighed and waited until Harry looked back up at him.

               “Can I just have cough drops?” Harry asked. “They help.”

               “I highly doubt that,” Severus said. He held the vial close to Harry’s lips. “Drink a sip for me.”

               “No,” Harry turned his head away.

               “You need it.”

               “No. I need cough drops.”

               “I do not want to stand here all night arguing with you. So let’s save us both the trouble and take the potion.”

               “Potion?” Harry asked, frowning at the vial. “Like magic?”

               “Yes. It is exactly like magic.”

               Harry hesitated. It wasn’t medicine but instead a potion. That was fascinating. Severus held the vial closer and Harry slowly allowed Severus to give him a sip. As soon as the taste hit Harry’s tongue, he swung his head away and gagged. Magic or not, it did not taste good.        

“You better have swallowed that,” Severus said, watching Harry closely.

“It’s yuck!” Harry cried, though he did manage to swallow the potion. He gladly accepted the glass of warm milk from Severus and sipped it gratefully.

“It will help you,” Severus said. Harry’s cough was all ready gone.

               “I hate potions,” Harry said, his lower lip trembling.

               “Cry it out to the potions master,” Severus muttered as he sent the vial flying back to his lab. He leaned against the counter as he watched Harry finish his milk, folding his arms. “Harry, you might have to take medicine every day. You can’t fight with me every time, you know.”

               “I don’t need medicine,” Harry said, rubbing his eyes and yawning.

               “Hmm,” Severus said, smiling softly at Harry. He picked Harry up, the child’s arms instinctively wrapping around his neck, then, he carried Harry back up the stairs. “I disagree. It can’t be pleasant coughing all night.”

               “I can take cough drops,” Harry said. “The yummy kinds.”

               “You can have those if you want,” Severus said, walking into Harry’s bedroom and lying Harry down on the bed. “But you might also have to take medicine. And that’s final.”

               Harry nodded and yawned into his pillow, his eyes already closed. Severus snorted and tucked the boy in.

               The next morning, Severus had dressed in muggle wear and made some quick phone calls and then floo called Albus Dumbledore to cancel his Friday classes. When Albus questioned the action, he had informed Albus that Iris wasn’t feeling well, and the headmaster accepted the excuse. Severus wasn’t ready to deal with the odd pictures Albus had taken for him over the years or to know what the man’s involvement was with Harry’s upbringing thus far.

               Now that everything was taken care of, he had to wake his two children.

               Harry staying with him had not been a hard decision to make. He still didn’t feel ready to raise two kids, but he knew he wouldn’t allow anyone else to have his son. He made the mistake of giving him up once, he would not make that same mistake again. Severus left his study and made his way to the kitchen, pausing when he saw Harry standing on the step stool and stirring eggs on the stove. Harry spotted him and smiled.

               “Good morning,” Harry said softly.

               “Morning,” Severus returned, standing behind Harry as he ruffled the boy’s hair, looking over his son’s shoulder. “I see you’re making those famous scrambled eggs you were talking about yesterday.”

               “Is Addie coming over?” Harry asked, reaching for the carton of eggs. “Should I make more?”

               “What you have is more than enough for two,” Severus said. “Addie eats breakfast with her family. And next time, please ask me before coming down to make breakfast. Can we agree on that?”

               “Two?” Harry asked. “But there’s three . . .”  

               “Iris does not like eggs,” Severus said.

               “I’m sorry—I can make her something else!” Harry said, climbing off the step stool and running for the fridge, only for Severus to stop him with a gentle arm grab. Severus kneeled next to him.

               “Iris will be content with cereal this morning,” Severus said. “She likes to pour it herself. Now, did you hear what I said about making breakfast?”

               “To ask you first?” Harry said, looking down at his feet.

               “Yes. Let me know when you are awake and ask me if you can make breakfast, all right?”

               “Okay,” Harry said in a miserable tone. “But I always make breakfast. How am I supposed to ask you when I’m at Aunt Petunia’s?”

               Severus wanted to tell Harry what he had been informed that morning, but he knew now was not the time. They had a long list of things to do that day and he did not want to start his day with a tantrum. He released Harry and said:

               “When you are here, ask first.”

               Harry nodded and went back to the stove to make sure his eggs weren’t burning.

               Severus watched him for a moment, only looking away when Iris padded into the kitchen, yawning and rubbing her eyes.

               “Morning, Daddy,” Iris said. In half-awake movements, she opened the pantry and grabbed a box of cereal. Severus set a bowl down for her and she poured the cereal. Severus added the milk and then Iris shuffled over to the dining table and sat down to eat.

               Harry had watched the exchange with interest. There was no whining, no yelling, no barking orders, and no complaining. It was strange. He was so focused on watching Severus and Iris he forgot to keep an eye on the eggs. Smoke quickly filled the kitchen. Harry jumped, then turned off the heat. He tried to remove the eggs quickly from the hot pan to a plate, but nearly burned himself in the process, and he dropped the pan with a loud clang to the floor, startling Iris awake.

               “I’m sorry,” Harry cried as Severus walked over to the mess, “I’m sorry. I’ll do them again.”

               “It’s okay,” Severus said, swishing his wand to clean the mess. The eggs vanished and the pan flew to the sink and began washing itself. “It was an accident.”

               “But I ruined your breakfast.”

               “You didn’t ruin anything. I can always make something myself. How about you sit down and have a bowl of cereal?”

               “I can’t. I have to remake your breakfast first.”

               Severus thought about his next words carefully. It seemed Harry was used to following orders and always placing himself last. It angered him internally that someone could be so demeaning to a small child, but he swallowed that down and decided on a new tactic.

               “I don’t want you to,” he said, surprising Harry. “I want you to hold this bowl.”

               Severus handed Harry a bowl, and the child was quick to obey and accept the bowl, waiting expectantly for his next orders.

               Severus grabbed the box Iris had pulled out and poured cereal into the bowl before splashing in the milk.

               “There. Go sit down and eat.”

               Harry was frozen to the spot, unsure if he had heard that correctly.

               “Go on.” Severus motioned to the table.

               Harry slowly made his way to the table and sat down next to Iris, who smiled at him. He smiled shyly back before taking a small bite of the food. Severus sighed. At this rate, it was going to be a long day.

               After both kids had eaten and were dressed with Harry in some of Iris’s more tomboyish clothes, Severus helped the kids into their winter coats (Harry borrowing Iris’s blue one while she wore her pink one) before leading them outside of the house.

               This was Harry’s first look outside the house. The manor was huge, a wide, two-story building with a neat garden in the front and acres of land in the back. Harry could see a few houses scattered around them, but it was clear he was in the countryside now. Iris skipped ahead while Severus locked his door, Harry lingering near him.

               “Where are we going?” Harry asked. “Are you taking me home?”

               “No,” Severus shook his head. When he noticed Harry’s face morphing into a pout that threatened to escalate into a tantrum, Severus quickly said, “Not yet. We have a few errands we need to do.”

               “Like what?” Harry complained, but followed Severus down the steps. “I want to go home.”

               Severus didn’t answer. He led Harry to the Ford Escort in the driveway. Iris was already pulling on the door trying to get in. Severus unlocked the car and Iris climbed into her booster car seat. Severus used his wand to duplicate Iris’s car seat and with practiced ease, he strapped it to the seat behind the driver’s side. Once he was sure it was secure, he waved Harry over to him.

               “I’m not allowed in the car,” Harry said.

               “You’re allowed in this one.”

               Severus picked Harry up and settled him in the seat. He buckled Harry in before doing the same for Iris.

               Severus started the car and slowly pulled out of his driveway. He had taught himself to drive soon after winning custody of Iris. It was a safer way of travel through muggle areas than side-along apparition was, and it gave Iris a chance to embrace the muggle world and its developing technology, as well himself. And now, it would give Harry that same advantage.

               “You’re going to like our doctor,” Iris started talking as they drove down the road. “He’s the best in the whole world!”

               “We’re going to the doctor?” Harry asked nervously.

               Severus silently scolded Iris in his head, but he knew she had not meant to upset Harry. He had been hoping for a quiet ride to the doctor’s, but what could one expect with two six-year-olds?

               “I don’t want to go to the doctor,” Harry said.

               “We need to get your asthma under control,” Severus said. He adjusted the rear-view mirror so he could see Harry in it, alternating between watching the road and watching Harry’s reaction.

               “I don’t have asthma.”

               “I disagree.”

               “I don’t like doctors.”

               “Ours is nice,” Iris said, smiling at Harry. “He gives me lollies every time I see him. And he’s also a wizard. Shhh!” Iris put a finger to her lips and shushed Harry as if she had just revealed a big secret.

               “I don’t want to go!” Harry said louder. He kicked the seat in front of him. “I want to go home.”

               “Harry.” Severus eyed Harry in the mirror, meeting his son’s eyes. “Do not kick my seat.”

               The stern voice sent shivers down Harry’s back, and he lowered his head, peering up at Severus through his bangs. At that Severus reangled his mirror and focused on the road. It was a quiet ride the rest of the way, Iris swinging her feet and Harry sulking out the window. They arrived at the muggle office and Iris jumped out of her seat and waited for her father impatiently while he helped Harry figure out where the seatbelt connected to. Once Harry was free, they walked into the reception area. Iris led Harry over to the play area while Severus checked them in.

               When a nurse called the kids in, Severus took their hands and walked them after her. Iris pulled free to be weighed and measured first, while Harry needed prying away from Severus. After temperatures and blood pressures were taken, they waited for the doctor in an exam room. Iris jumped up on the table while Harry decided to take the chair next to Severus, leaning against him.

               “May I ask what is wrong about the doctor’s office?” Severus questioned.

               “I don’t like it. They poke me and stab me with needles and I never get a treat like Dudley.”

               “We’re getting a needle?” Iris cried, covering her arms protectively.

               “No,” Severus answered, wrapping an arm around Harry. “No one is getting a needle today. Harry, I don’t know everything you’ve been through, but our doctor is very nice. He will look you over and hopefully prescribe some medicine for you.”

               “More medicine?” Harry’s lower lip trembled.

               “It’s to help you,” Severus said. “That’s all I’m trying to do.”

               After fifteen minutes, Doctor Villin finally entered.

               “Wow, look how much you’ve grown, Iris!” He said cheerily, walking up to the table. “What happened to the baby girl that barely fit in my hands?”

               “I’m a grown up, now,” Iris said, sitting tall on the table.

               “I see,” Doctor Villin smiled. “Too grown up for a lolli?”

               Iris shook her head as she accepted the candy Doctor Villin held out to her. Doctor Villin turned his attention on Harry.

               “Now, I believe the appointment was made for you, young man,” he said. “What’s your name?”

               Harry turned his face into Severus’s shirt, who rested a hand on Harry’s back.

               “I’m sorry,” Severus said, “I do not believe he’s had any good hospital experience. This is Harry.”

               “Hello, Harry,” Doctor Villin said, sitting down in the chair across from them and pulling it toward Severus and Harry. “I’m not going to do anything to you that you won’t like. I just want to make sure you’re healthy. Would you like to see me perform some tests on your sister?”

               Harry peeked out at the doctor, who quickly used the opportunity to flick his wand at Iris, sending shimmering gold swirls that wrapped around Iris before vanishing. A parchment appeared in the air next to Iris, who grabbed it and held it out for Doctor Villin helpfully.

               “Thank you, Iris,” he said, then glanced it over. “Looks like you are perfectly healthy, as is to be expected. Now your turn Harry. What do you say?”

               It didn’t look so bad. Harry bravely sat up and closed his eyes. He nodded.

               Doctor Villin didn’t comment on the frightened look, Harry had. He flicked his wand and waited a few seconds before the parchment appeared. He read the notes, tsking at what he saw. Severus frowned, holding his tongue and forcing himself to be patient while he waited for the doctor’s analysis.

               “Very interesting,” Doctor Villin said.

               “What is it?” Severus couldn’t help himself.

               “Well, from what you’ve told me about the situation, everything here fits the scenario. I’ll give you a muggle report for the case. He’s severely malnourished, slightly dehydrated, and his growth has been stunted a bit. He has quite a few deficiencies, vitamin A, B12, iron, calcium—as I said, I’ll give you the report. He’ll definitely need to start on some daily vitamins for a while along with beginning a healthier diet. I’d also like you to make sure he’s drinking plenty of milk and water. I’m going to send you the recipe for a nutrient potion that meets his needs. Now, what’s this I hear about asthma?”

               “Nothing,” Harry muttered, hiding his face back into Severus’s robe.

               Severus picked Harry up and stood him in between his knees so he was facing Doctor Villin, who summoned a strange, ruler like object. He attached a mouthpiece to it, then held it out for Harry.

               “This is a peak flow meter,” Doctor Villin said. “What I’d like you to do is put your mouth around here, like this.” Doctor Villin demonstrated, then swished a cleansing spell on the device before holding it back out. “Then, you’re going to blow really fast into it as hard as you can. Okay? Let’s practice. Take a deep breath.”

               Harry took a deep breath.

               “Now let it out really fast.”

               Harry did so, and the doctor nodded.

               “Good. Again, but on the meter this time.”

               Harry took a deep breath and carefully put the mouthpiece in his mouth, then tried his best to blow fast on it. He ended up coughing and he pulled away from the meter, wheezing slightly from the effort. Severus gently rubbed his back.

               “Eighty-seven liters per minute,” the doctor said, reading the meter. He moved closer to show Severus what he was looking at. “His normal should be in the one-twenty to one-forty range. It’s a nifty little muggle device, great for keeping track of his breathing. I’m going to let you keep this one, I’ll get you the manual.”

               Harry leaned back against Severus as the two adults talked about inhalers and prescriptions and when to use what and how often. It was a lot of information and Harry didn’t like how many times the word “potion” or “medicine” came up. He rubbed his eyes tiredly, spotting Iris sucking on the lollipop she had been given and playing with the blood pressure cuffs. Finally, the doctor was handing a few scripts to Severus and a small baggie with two inhalers in it.

               “These should get you through until you get your scripts in. This one is the quick relief, not unlike the potion you were giving Harry yesterday. This one is his long-term medication. He needs to take it twice daily; once in the morning and once at night. Let’s start with one puff and see how it helps him. Make sure you’re watching for any anaphylactic reactions when he starts this, and keep an eye out for any other adverse signs to the medicine. Would you like him to have his first dose now so in case any thing does happen, he is still within the hospital?”

               “Yes, of course,” Severus said, worry now filling his chest.

               The doctor helped Harry figure out how to hold the pump and correctly place it in his mouth, Severus watching closely. Harry took a deep breath in before coughing and pushing the inhaler away.

               “It’s weird for the first timers,” the doctor said, but he’ll get used to it. He may need some assistance for a while until he is able to take it on his own every day when he should.”

               Severus could already see the many future battles he was going to have with Harry. He sighed and nodded his head, taking the inhaler back and putting it in the bag.

               “And for being such a brave boy.” Doctor Villin held out another lolli for Harry.

               “For me?” Harry said, his eyes wide as he slowly reached for the lollipop. “Really?”

               “Yes, for you. You did very good today.”

               Harry looked at Severus, who nodded his head, then he smiled and accepted the lollipop.

               “Thank you.” Harry said.

               The small family left the hospital. Severus helped the kids back into their car seats before driving over to a small kid clothing store. There, he helped Harry try on several clothes, and allowed Harry to pick out what he liked, which was like pulling teeth.

               “Harry, I don’t want to be here all day any more than you probably do,” Severus said. “But you need to help me out by picking what you like and not just agreeing to everything I grab. Do you actually like this shirt?” Severus held out a plaid shirt.

               Harry shrugged. “I don’t know,” he said softly.

               Severus set the shirt down and rubbed a hand through his hair. He hated shopping. Perhaps he should have Addie come back with Harry. After raising five kids and nannying several others, she would know how to engage with Harry more at the store and help him find what he liked.

               “Daddy, can I have this?” Iris asked, running up to him with a pink tutu. “I need a new one for dance.”

               “You have three new ones,” Severus frowned at her. “Put that back. We’re shopping for Harry, remember?”

               “What about this?” Iris held up a frilly skirt.

               “Iris, please,” Severus dragged a hand down his face. “Not now. Put those back.”

               “Fine,” Iris complained. “Harry, I found a bunch of dinosaur hoodies—want to see?”

               “Okay,” Harry agreed, running after Iris before Severus could scold them to stay close.

               Intrigued by Iris’s remark, Severus followed the kids, pushing his cart along. He caught up to them running through the stands, looking at hoodies with big T-rexes and brachiosauruses and velociraptors. Harry kept running back to the one with T-rex on it, and Severus decided to find Harry’s size on the rack. The two kids found more dinosaur themed clothing and then monster truck themed shirts. Severus was happy to let Iris lead the way and picked up what he noticed Harry take interest in. This was not so bad after all.

               Finally, Severus decided he had enough clothes to get Harry through winter at least. He paid for everything and put all the bags in the trunk while the two kids jumped in their car seats expectantly, Harry finally getting into the routine of car travel.

               Once they were secured, Severus decided to make a quick stop at Iris’s school to inquire about enrolling Harry, hoping it was not too late. It was mid-January, and the staff were very excited to have Harry join the school and they would mail Severus the required paperwork and needed records he would have to send in. Severus hoped Harry was up to date on his vaccines. He would have to find out where Harry had gone previously for doctor visits.

               When he was ready to leave, he found Iris in her classroom talking with her teacher, showing Harry off. All the students were on lunch now, so the classroom was empty. Severus paused outside the door, leaning against the frame as he listened to Iris.

               “And after the doctor’s, we went shopping and found a lot of dinosaur things for him,” Iris was saying, Harry quietly standing beside her, his head slightly lowered. “He likes dinosaurs.”

               “Is that so?” the teacher, Mrs. Hadewin said, smiling at Harry. “We’ll have a little paleontologist in our classroom, won’t we?”

               Harry shrugged, but offered a small smile.

               “He doesn’t talk much,” Iris explained. “Dad says he has to get comfortable around us, and I have to help him and show him everything’s not so bad—that’s why Dad let me stay home today.”

               “Well, I am so proud of you for being such a good sister,” Mrs. Hadewin said. “I look forward to seeing you in class, Harry.”

               Harry didn’t say anything, and Severus entered the classroom.

               “Okay, you two, I think it’s time to head home,” Severus said.

               “Aww,” Iris pouted.

               “Would you like to stay for your afternoon classes?” Severus asked, raising a brow. “Or help me fix up Harry’s room?”

               Iris frowned in thought, then said, “Fix up Harry’s room!”

               “Then let’s head back to the car.”

               As the two kids ran ahead, Mrs. Hadewin walked at Severus’s side.

               “I am so sorry to hear what’s happened with Harry,” she said. “How did you find out he was your son?”

               “DNA test,” Severus said, leaving out any more details than that.

               “I read the paper this morning. The details were atrocious. His bedroom was a cupboard? And they made him a chimney sweep—my heart breaks just thinking about it. I wish you luck, Mr. Snape. And I do look forward to having little Harry in my class. I think he’ll do very well here.”

               “Thank you,” Severus said. He bid farewell, then drove home.

               He opened the trunk and used a spell to transport all the bags to Harry’s room and the new medications to his own bedroom to review later.

               “Why are we back here?” Harry asked as he jumped out of the car.

               “Because its where we live, silly,” Iris said, skipping over to him.

               “No, it’s where you live. I live with my aunt and uncle. I have to go back to them.”

               “Nuh-uh,” Iris said, shakingher head, her red hair flying about. “Daddy says you’re staying here now. You’re never leaving. Ever.”

               Severus had just shut the trunk when he heard Iris declare the truth. He winced, waiting for Harry’s reaction to that.

               “No!” Harry shouted at her. “I have to leave. This isn’t my house. I want to go home.” Harry ran to the back of the car and looked up at Severus. “I want to go back home. Take me back.”

               Severus sighed, and kneeled in front of Harry. He might as well as tell the child.

               “Harry,” he began gently. “Your aunt and uncle were arrested this morning on several accounts of child neglect, abuse, and endangerment. They are behind bars without bail while they wait for their trial. Your cousin is living with an aunt and you are staying with us. That’s the end of it.”

               Harry blinked back tears.

               “Why were they arrested?”

               “Because what they did to you—how they treated you was wrong.”

               “No, it wasn’t. Aunt Petunia loves me. She never hurt me.”

               “I disagree. Making a child climb up a chimney is dangerous and illegal. You could have been killed. It’s aggravating your asthma, you could have suffocated.”

               “I was careful.”

               “She denied you food—”

               “No, she fed me. Every day.”

               “She made you a slave to her family—”

               “No, she didn’t. I have to help around the house.”

               “And she did not report you missing when you mysteriously “vanished.” And your uncle allowed all of this.”

               “You can’t keep me here! I want to go home.” Harry stomped his foot.

               “Unfortunately, you have nowhere else to go. Your relatives are behind bars and we have a trial to get through. It would really help me if you tried to understand why what they did was wrong.”

               “They didn’t do anything. Take them out of jail.”

               “That’s beyond my control, Harry,” Severus said, standing up and throwing his hands up.

               “Then I’m taking them out of jail,” Harry declared before running off down the driveway.

               “Harry!” Severus shouted, running after him. He grabbed Harry before he could run into the street, lifting him up and carrying him back to the house.

               “No!” Harry screamed, kicking all the way. “I don’t want to stay. I want Aunt Petunia! I want to go home. I want Aunt Petunia!”

               It was hard to hear. Severus set Harry down in the house before he shut and locked the door with a spell that wouldn’t allow Harry to open the door. Harry pushed past him and tried to open the door before screaming and pounding on it. Severus quickly and wordlessly spelled every window and outside door to the house locked, sadly watching Harry throw himself to the floor, kicking and crying, yelling about not wanting to stay and missing Aunt Petunia. And he knew that “Aunt Petunia” did not miss Harry. Noted in the muggle paper that morning, Aunt Petunia’s words about her missing nephew had been “good riddance.”

To be continued...
Take Me Home by krosi

Harry slowly calmed down after nearly twenty minutes of throwing a fit on the floor. He took several deep breaths as he looked around. The house was very quiet now that he wasn’t screaming. He turned his head to the left, spotting Severus sitting on the couch watching him. Harry rubbed his eyes as he stared back. If he had done something like that in front of Aunt Petunia, he would have long ago been locked in his cupboard. All this man was doing was staring at him.

               “Are you quite done?” Severus asked, raising a brow at him.

               Harry shook his head.

               “No?” Severus stood up and walked over to Harry. “And what exactly do you hope to accomplish?”

               “I want to go home,” Harry said sadly. “I don’t want to stay here forever.”

               “You have nowhere else to go,” Severus countered. “Your relatives are in jail now—they can’t take care of you.”

               “Take em out,” Harry argued.

               Severus sighed, then kneeled next to Harry.

               “Harry,” Severus said, waiting for the child’s attention. “You had rules at your relatives, right?”

               Harry nodded.

               “And if you didn’t follow those rules, you were—I’m assuming—punished, correct?”

               Harry nodded again.

               “Well, Britain has rules, too, and in order to live here, you have to follow those rules, or you’ll be punished, even if you’re an adult. Your relatives broke many rules, so they have to spend some time in jail, just as you might have to spend time in time out.”

               “You mean my cupboard?” Harry asked.

               “Hmm,” Severus said, standing back up. “If that was your time out, then yes.”

               “I don’t want them in jail.”

               “I know, but I don’t make the laws. We all have to follow them and when we don’t, we get in trouble for it.”

               “They didn’t do anything, though. They’re good, normal people.”

               Severus frowned at Harry’s phrasing.

               “Normal,” Severus repeated.

               “Yeah, they don’t make freaky things happen.”

               “You mean like this?” Severus waved his hand over Harry and the child slowly began floating up. Harry gasped, startled, but he was lowered back down to the floor gently. Harry smiled up at Severus as he sat up.

               “Yeah, like that!”

               “That is called magic,” Severus said. “And it’s far from freaky. It’s normal for wizards and witches. Some muggles simply do not understand it.”

               “What are muggles?”

               “People without magic.”

               “Like me?”

               “No.” Severus shook his head, summoning a picture from his study. He held it out for Harry, who accepted it and stared at the picture. It was of his parents again: Lily and James touching their wands together, and then a silvery stag and doe pranced out of their wands, spun around in the air and landed in front of the couple, touching noses. The picture repeated the scene again and again. Harry awed at it.

               “Your parents had magic,” Severus said. “As do you.”

               Harry’s head snapped up. “Really?”

               “Really. It’s not freaky. It can be exceptionally beautiful, actually.”

               Harry stared at the picture, touching it gently. “Can I keep it?”

               “You may have that one,” Severus said. “Why don’t you go put it up in your room?’

               “I want to take it home with me,” Harry said.

               Severus bit his tongue in frustration. He had thought he had been doing well with their conversation. Harry was quite stubborn—he wondered whose genes that boy got that from. Severus had been hoping to work on decorating Harry’s walls and reorganizing the bedroom in a more kid friendly manner, but at this rate, he may end up doing that tomorrow. He still had to make lunch for the kids as well.

               “This is your home, now, Harry,” Severus said. “I suggest you start accepting that.”

               The reaction was immediate. Harry’s face morphed into a pout and he threw himself back down and kicked his feet.

               “I want to go home!” Harry cried.

               Severus sighed and walked away from Harry this time. The truth would settle in soon enough for Harry and then he would adjust to a normal life as a kid and not a house elf to an awful family. Severus decided to check with Iris on what she might like for lunch. He headed upstairs and knocked on Iris’s bedroom door.

               “Iris?” Severus said, opening the door and peeking inside.
               Iris was sitting on her bed, hugging her knees and crying softly.

               “Honey,” Severus said, coming into the room and sitting on the edge of her bed. He wrapped an arm around her, and she snuggled against him. “What’s wrong?”

               “Harry doesn’t like me,” she cried.

               “That’s not true,” Severus rubbed her back soothingly. “He likes you very much. He thinks your cool.”

               Iris looked up at her father.

               “Really?” she asked.

               “Mmhmm,” Severus agreed. “He told me himself. And you were very helpful today. He barely left your side. I think your making him feel more at home.”

               “Why doesn’t he want to stay then?”

               Severus sighed as he leaned back on the bedframe.

               “He’s just confused. His family wasn’t very nice to him. They made him believe he had no where else to go and that he had to stay with them. They lied to him, and he thinks that he’s wanted there.”

               “But he’s not,” Iris said, “right?”

               “Right. We have to show him how much he’s wanted here. And you’ve been doing a very good job at that. So you keep doing what you’re doing. Think you can do that?”

               Iris nodded and smiled.

               “Thank you.” Severus kissed his daughter’s cheek before standing up. “Any ideas for lunch?”

 

               Harry stared up at the ceiling. In all the times he had seen Dudley throw a tantrum, Aunt Petunia or Uncle Vernon were fawning over him and catering to his every need. He had been so sure it would work on Severus, but instead, the man had left the room completely this time. Harry wasn’t sure what he was supposed to do now.

               Standing up, Harry walked toward the staircase he had seen Severus walk up. He paused as he watched Severus walking back down them.

               “You can’t keep me here,” Harry said as Severus stepped down the last stair.

               “I disagree,” Severus said. “I am legally your godfather, not to mention your father, and I have every intention of obtaining full custody of you.”

               “I don’t want you to,” Harry pouted. “Aunt Petunia will miss me. She loves me.”

               Severus did not comment on that. He made his way to the kitchen, opening the fridge and grabbing a few things. Harry was not paying much attention to what Severus was doing.

               “Please, take me home,” Harry tried, softly, using a look he had seen Iris use on Severus to win an extra biscuit. He widened his eyes and puckered his lower lip.

               “I see you’re taking lessons from Iris,” Severus muttered. “Unfortunately, given the severity of the circumstance, that’s not going to work.”

               Harry frowned.

               Iris skipped into the kitchen at the moment and Severus handed her a sandwich.

               “Thank you, Daddy,” she smiled, taking a bite happily. “Can Harry and I play outside later?”

               “Not today,” Severus said.

               “Why not?” Harry asked, pouting once more.

               “I’m sure you could give me a reason why yourself,” Severus said. He handed Harry a sandwich.

               Harry took it and stared at it. Aunt Petunia rarely gave him sandwiches, and when she did, it had cheese on it only. This sandwich had a strange filling and a slice of lettuce trapped between two slices of bread. Iris was happily eating hers while watching Harry.

               “Try it,” she said. “You’ll like it.”

               “What is it?” Harry asked.

               “Ham salad,” Severus answered, turning, and watching Harry.

               Harry took a small careful bite, chewing slowly.

               “It’s good,” Harry said.

               “See?” Iris smiled. “I told you he’d like it.”

               “So you did,” Severus agreed, taking a sandwich for himself. “Sit at the table please. I would like you to eat at least half of your sandwich.”

               Harry stared at the sandwich in his hands. That was impossible. He would never be able to eat it half of it. He was being set up to fail.

               “I can’t,” Harry said.

               “I’d like you to try,” Severus said. “If you can’t, then that’s okay. But at least try.”

               Harry took another small bite as he sat down next to Iris at the table, setting his picture down. What if he couldn’t wat a quarter and Severus decided to punish him for it? Aunt Petunia sometimes gave him impossible tasks but never with trying to eat so much food. As far as food went, she was usually happy when he didn’t finish all the food she gave him. This family was still very strange.

               Severus watched Harry chew the small bite he had taken. He knew it would be a long time before Harry would ever be able to eat a normal sized meal, but he wanted the child to at least start trying. That evening, he planned to brew the nutrient potion the doctor had written up for him, and he wanted Harry to start it first thing in the morning. He was sure it would go down very well with Harry.

               By the time Harry had managed to eat six small bites and a quarter of the sandwich, he handed it back to Severus and fearfully stepped away. Severus wrapped the sandwich up and set it in the fridge.

               “If you get hungry later,” Severus said, “you may have more of that as a snack.”

               Harry wanted to protest that he wouldn’t be here to have it as a snack and that Severus had to take him home, but Severus had already moved out of the kitchen. Iris was finishing her juice, so Harry followed Severus, catching up to the man as he sat behind the desk.

               “I want to go home,” Harry said, leaning against the desk.

               “So you’ve said.” Severus gathered a pile of essays in front of him and picked up his red-inked quill. “Unless you’d like to work on your room now, I have work I could do.”

               “I’m not leaving till you take me home.” Harry plopped down on the floor at Severus’s feet.

               “Then you can sit there until bedtime,” Severus said. His eyes scanned the parchment for a few seconds before he began scribbling on it.

               Harry pouted, glaring up at Severus.

               “I’ll scream,” Harry threatened.

               “I wouldn’t if I were you,” Severus said. He pointed up. “You’ll scare the owl.”

               Harry looked up and gasped.

               On the bird stand that stretched for the desk, was a large eagle owl. It adjusted itself on the stand as it checked out the newcomer to the family with piercing orange eyes. Harry stood up and backed away from the desk.

               “He won’t hurt you,” Severus said. “But he won’t like it if you scream.”

               “I won’t scream,” Harry said.

               “Wise decision.” Severus set his quill down and steepled his fingers, giving Harry his full attention. “You had a busy morning, why don’t you rest a bit for the afternoon?”

               Harry wanted to protest it, but he looked at the owl and then back at Severus. He lowered his head and shuffled out of the study quickly. It wasn’t fair. He was trapped in a stranger’s house, even if the stranger was his father that he never knew about. What was he supposed to do now? All the doors and windows were locked and he couldn’t seem to make them unlock no matter which way he turned the latches. Maybe Iris knew of a way out of the house.

               Harry walked back out to the dining room, but Iris wasn’t there. He moved through the living room, wondering if he’d find her in her room. Halfway through the room, he stopped and eyed the fireplace.

               He stared for a long moment, then glanced around the room. He listened for any noise from the study or the stairs. Everything was quiet. Harry moved closer to the fireplace, ducking to stand inside of it as he looked up. The throat looked narrow, but he was sure he could crawl through it. He reached up but his fingers grazed where he needed to grab on to. He ducked out of the fireplace and looked around.

               Remembering the step stool in the kitchen, he quietly tiptoed there and grabbed the step stool, dragging it into the fireplace. Kicking off his shoes and socks, he climbed to the top step and grabbed the ledge, pulling himself up and over the throat and onto the smoke shelf.

               Standing up, Harry realized this chimney was a tighter fit than Aunt Petunia’s, but he could still crawl his way out if he kept himself as straight as possible. He began pulling himself forward, crawling slowly and meticulously. The flue was very clean by chimney standards, informing Harry that someone did the cleaning. The small amounts of soot there was did sprinkle over him, and halfway up the flue he paused to cough harshly.

               Finally, he made it to the top and crawled his way out of the chimney, his entire body covered in soot. He brushed himself off with little effect before looking at the ground below. It was a long way down, and he did not have a ladder waiting for him.

               Harry sat on the roof as he thought about the times he let himself fall in the chimney. Each time, he landed on his feet. He wondered if the same would happen if he jumped off the roof. The idea frightened him, and he stayed sitting on the roof for several minutes. If he didn’t get off the roof soon, he was sure he would be caught and he needed to get as far away from this house as possible. He would free Aunt Petunia from jail somehow and they would be a family again.

               Harry stood up, hesitated, then leaped off the roof.

               He slowed down just before hitting the ground and landed on his feet. He smiled, then ran down the driveway. He stopped at the end and looked right, then left, then right again. He didn’t know which way he was supposed to go, but he decided right seemed like the best choice. He began walking down the road, keeping close to the grass in case any cars drove by.

               There were about seven houses he passed before acres of crop fields took over, and Harry wrapped his arms around himself as he kept moving, an icy feeling consuming his stomach. He had never been somewhere so secluded before. Even when he had been made to walk home there was at least a building or house in sight.

               He wasn’t sure how long he had been walking, but it was getting cold and noises from the tall grasses startled him. He coughed into his sleeve, then paused when the wind rustled the trees in the distance, and he shivered. He had no clue where Aunt Petunia was or even how to get back home and now, he was in the middle of nowhere. It wasn’t fair.

               Harry glanced back, but with no houses in sight, he sighed and resigned himself to keep moving. There was a loud crack and Harry jumped when he saw Severus standing in front of him, his arms crossed.

               “Taking a little trip?” Severus asked.

               “How did you get here?” Harry swung his head back and forth.  

               “Apparition,” Severus said. “And looking at you, I’m assuming you got here by climbing out the chimney. I suppose I should have seen that coming.”

               “I’m going home,” Harry declared, walking past Severus, and continuing down the road.

               “And how do you plan on doing that?” Severus asked, following Harry.

               “I don’t know. I’ll take a bus or a train or something.”

               “Hmm. With what money?”

               “I don’t need money. I’ll sneak on.”

               “I see. And where do you plan on finding a bus or train?”

               “In the city.”

               “You mean the one twenty miles away from here?” Severus questioned. “You’ll be walking well into the night . . . in the dark . . . and the cold.”

               Harry wanted to keep going, but he was quite frightened about walking in the dark alone. His eyes watered just thinking about it and his heart picked up speed. Maybe Severus would walk with him until they found a bus or train. He had to keep going if he ever wanted to see Aunt Petunia again, but he really didn’t want a monster to jump out and attack him.

               “Besides,” Severus added, “you’re walking the wrong way.”

               At that, Harry plopped down on the ground and the tears escaped his eyes. He cried softly into his hands. He was already tired from his long escape and now he had to walk back the other way and he just wanted to go home. Severus sighed and kneeled in front of him, using a thumb to wipe a tear trailing down Harry’s cheek.

               “I’m sorry, honey,” Severus said softly, “but you know I can’t leave you out here. I know you miss Aunt Petunia, but what she did wasn’t very nice.”

               “She’s always nice to me.” Harry sniffled.             

               “I know you see it that way, and I’m trying to help you understand why what she did was wrong, but you have to stop and listen to me first.”

               “She’s all I have.”

               “Not anymore. You have me now. And Iris.”

               “I don’t want you. I don’t know you.”

               “I know. I’d like you to get to know me. And I you. Come, let’s go back. It’s getting late. And you need another bath again.”

               “I’m tired,” Harry said. He coughed and shivered. “And cold.”

               “Do you want me to carry you?”

               “I’m all dirty.”

               “That’s nothing to be concerned about.” Severus picked Harry up and carried him on his hip. Harry rested his head against Severus’s shoulder, trapping his hands between himself and Severus’s chest.

               “Aunt Petunia won’t let me near her if I’m dirty.”

               “No? But I’d bet she’d hug and hold her own son even if he were dirty.”

               “Yeah, but Dudley’s her son. I’m not.”

               “That should not matter. Now, hold on to me. This might feel weird.”

               Severus disapparated and reappeared in front of his house. He walked up the driveway, Harry still in his arms coughing slightly. Severus patted his back.

               “What if someone had stopped you on the way, hmm? Or tried to take you?”

               “I’d tell them you kidnapped me.”

               Severus chuckled at that as he opened the front door.

               “Looking at us, they might just believe it.”

               “You found him!” Iris cheered as she ran up to her father.

               Addie was there as well, and she let out a relieved breath. She frowned at the soot covering Harry and shook her head softly.

               “He’s okay,” Severus said, “but very tired. I think an early bedtime would be agreeable, don’t you?”

               Harry nodded, his eyes blinking repeatedly. Severus smiled and brushed some hair out of Harry’s face.

               “After a quick bath.”

               Harry nodded again.

               “I’m glad he’s okay,” Addie said. “I’m going to get dinner ready so he can have a little something before bed.”

               Severus whispered something to Addie so softly that Harry could not hear it despite having his head on Severus’s shoulder. Addie agreed to whatever he said and led Iris to the kitchen to be her little helper. Severus carried Harry up the stairs and to the bathroom, where he set Harry down on the toilet seat. A bath was quickly drawn, and Severus helped Harry soak and scrub since the poor child was falling asleep against the rim.

               Once Harry was clean again, Severus helped the child into pajamas and then carried Harry to his bedroom, forcing the child to sit up and lean against him.

               “I’m really tired,” Harry said.

               “As running away will do to young children,” Severus said, summoning a vial and Harry’s inhaler. “I would appreciate it if you refrained from doing so in the future. It’s a lot of hills and empty roads out here, you could get lost very easily. Then how would I ever find you?”

               “I just want Aunt Petunia.”

               “How about this? We can arrange some visits with Aunt Petunia and then you won’t have to run away. Can we agree on that?”

               “Really?” Harry’s eyes widened.

               “Against my better judgement,” Severus said, “yes, really.”

               “Okay.” Harry rested his head against Severus once more. “I would like that.”

               “And no more chimney sweeping,” Severus said. “It’s not good for you, especially with your asthma. I do not want to worry about you getting trapped in there either.”

               “I wouldn’t. I’m very good at it.”              

               “Harry.” Severus gently held Harry’s chin and tilted the boy’s head up until their eyes locked. “I am very serious about that. Do not climb up my chimney again.”

               “Okay,” Harry said. “I promise.”

               “Thank you.” Severus held out the vial to Harry. “This is your nutrition potion that you will need to start taking at every meal until we get you back on track. Don’t worry, it tastes just like strawberries. You like strawberries, right?”

               Harry nodded and accepted the potion and taking a tiny sip to make sure Severus was telling the truth. It did taste like strawberries and he finished the small vial. He handed it back to Severus, who then took the inhaler and helped Harry hold it correctly as the doctor had shown them. Harry sucked in a puff, coughing and pulling his head away.

               Severus helped Harry under the covers and kissed Harry’s temple before killing the lights and shutting the door. Harry was asleep before he even got out of the room. Severus sighed and leaned against the door briefly. It was going to be a long, few weeks trying to get Harry to adjust. And now he had to throw in visits. He had spoken to his lawyer about the problems Harry was struggling with and the lawyer had managed to grant Harry permission to visit Petunia with the hope that Petunia might unleash her true inner feelings and Harry would get a harsh reality check.

               Severus opposed of the idea, but after this bout of escapade, he wondered if it might be worth trying. He didn’t want Harry to send the jurors the wrong message by going on the stand and speaking highly of Petunia and avoiding questions. He still had yet to even explain to Harry what was going to happen. But the child did not make anything easy.

               Rubbing a hand down his face, he made his way back downstairs and found Iris and Addie working together to make the fish and chips. Addie spotted him.

               “I thought something easy tonight would do everyone good,” she said.

               “Harry’s asleep,” Severus said. “I doubt he’ll wake up until morning.”

               “The poor dear,” Addie said. “I charmed the fireplace for you. I can’t put a barricade on it as it might interfere with smoke ad carbon monoxide release, but there’s a spell that will alert you should he ever enter the fireplace again. For now, I would just try to keep him away from it.”

               “I’ll do my best,” Severus said. He leaned against the counter and shook his head. “I should have kept an eye on him. I should have known he would try that.”

               “Don’t beat yourself up over it.”

               Addie gave Iris dishes to set the table.

               “Why did he run away?” Iris asked.

               “He wants to see his relatives,” Severus answered, sitting at the head of the table.

               “Why?” Iris asked, climbing on her dad’s lap. “They weren’t nice to him.”

               “They pretended to be,” Severus said, wrapping his arms around her.

               “That’s mean.” Iris crossed her arms and glared at the food set on the table.

               “Thank you for coming over on such short notice,” Severus said to Addie.

               “Of course, Severus.” Addie waved him off. “I’ll always be there if you need me. Now that you are all set, I’ll head back home. I’ll see you on Monday, missy.”

               “Bye, Addie Bell!” Iris smiled, waving to her.

               “Bye, Iris Snape,” Addie smirked at her teasingly. “Goodnight.”

               “Daddy,” Iris asked when Addie floo’d away. “Is Harry going to be happy here?”

               “I hope so,” Severus said. “But it might take some time. He’s had a pretty rough life so far. He doesn’t know what a real family should be like.”

               “We have to show him.”

               “Exactly. Now, go eat your dinner. I think an early night will do us all some good.”

               Iris slid over to her own chair and began eating her dinner, Severus doing the same. He spotted the picture of James and Lily he had given Harry earlier, and his thoughts strayed. He wondered if Harry would ever be able to see through Petunia’s lies. Sometimes, he wanted Harry to see the truth, but for the most part, he didn’t want to see Harry break from such an emotional trauma. He couldn’t have it both ways, and if he was to convince Harry that he was going to stay, something had to be done about Petunia.

               Fate really was against him lately.

              

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
I did not realize I hadn't updated this story on this site. My apologies.
Regrets by krosi

Severus stirred in his sleep as he felt a hand gently touch his shoulder. He blinked his eyes open to see Harry hovering over his bed. Groaning, he glanced at the clock on his nightstand. It was a quarter to six in the morning, what on earth was the child doing up?

               “You said to let you know when I’m up and ask you if I can make breakfast.” Harry said.

               Severus groaned again and sat up on his bed and rubbed his face. He had said those words, hadn’t he? He should have known how that would have backfired on him. He would really have to watch how he worded his rules around Harry.

               “It’s Saturday,” Severus said. “Why are you up so early?”

               “I have to get up early to make a full breakfast,” Harry said.

               “For who?”

               “Uncle Vernon likes a full breakfast on the weekends. So I have to get up early in order to make everything so its ready when he wakes up. Can you come help me?”

               “Your uncle isn’t here,” Severus reminded.

               “Oh yeah,” Harry said thoughtfully. “I can make it for you.”

               “I haven’t eaten a full breakfast in years. I don’t even think I could. Could you?”

               “No. Aunt Petunia says a bite of scrambled eggs, a half a tomato, and a full glass of milk will keep me going all day.”

               “Of course, she did.” Severus yawned and leaned back against his pillows. He closed his eyes. “Why don’t you try going back to bed for a bit longer, hmm?”

               “I can’t,” Harry said, grabbing Severus’s arm and pulling in a weak attempt to get Severus out of the bed. “It’s morning. I have to make breakfast now. Do you have beans, sausage, mushrooms, black pudding . . .?”

               “I don’t even like black pudding,” Severus admitted. He pulled his arm free of Harry’s grasp, then picked up the child and settled him on the bed at his side, wrapping an arm him and covering them both with his blanket. Harry frowned, then looked up at Severus.

               “What do you like?” he asked.

               “Now you ask me?” Severus smirked. He ran a hand through Harry’s hair as he hummed in thought. “I like to sleep in on my days off. I like freshly brewed coffee first thing in the morning. I like for my kids to get enough sleep.”

               “I slept enough,” Harry said as he yawned.

               “That will be the last time you go to bed early,” Severus decided. He gently pushed Harry’s head down against his shoulder, encouraging him to lie down. “Why don’t we try relaxing for another hour or two?”

               “What about breakfast?”

               “We can make something later. I highly doubt you’re starving right now. Are you?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “Good. Then it can wait. Besides, I prefer something much lighter in the mornings. What about a yogurt parfait instead of a heavy meal, with lots of fruits and nuts added? Maybe some whipped cream on top?”

               “I’ve never had a yogurt parfait. How do I make it?”

               “I’ll show you. After a little more sleep.” Severus removed Harry’s glasses and set them on his stand. He patted Harry’s back. “And new rule: wait for me to come get you to help with breakfast, okay? If you wake up first, stay in your bed.”

               “Okay,” Harry said. He snuggled against Severus’s side, staring off at the side wall for a moment while he fiddled with a loose thread on the blanket. “Aunt Petunia does this with Dudley sometimes.”

               “Does she?”

               “Yeah,” Harry confirmed. He yawned again and rubbed his eyes. “I like it.”

               Severus couldn’t help the smile that broke across his face. That had to count as some points in favor over “Aunt Petunia.” He genuinely hoped that Harry slowly came to understand that the way Petunia treated her son was how she should have treated Harry all along. After a few minutes, Severus felt Harry become deadweight against his side and he opened his eyes and glanced down. It had not taken Harry long to fall asleep. Severus wondered how long Harry’s internal clock would continue going off. He could not do these early mornings seven days a week.

               Severus rubbed Harry’s back as he closed his eyes again.

               After managing to get in a couple more hours of sleep, Severus helped Harry and Iris make their own yogurt parfaits, which ended up in a bigger mess than he would have liked, but at least his kids were laughing and having fun so early in the morning. The whipped cream all over his kitchen was cleaned with a swish of his wand.

              

               Later that morning, Severus’s lawyer stopped by to see Harry and discuss the case. Warner Wallace, a middle-aged dark-haired man, had helped Severus during Iris’s custody battle, and he trusted the man with all matters pertaining to muggle law. Wallace arrived in a casual suit carrying a briefcase. Severus invited him to his living room and offered tea while Wallace pulled out several files.

               “How is Harry doing?” Wallace asked.

               “As well as he can after everything he’s been through,” Severus responded as he finished pouring a tea and handed it to Wallace, who thanked him and set it on the stand next to the chair he was sitting in. “I am trying to get his untreated asthma under control as well as keep him in my sight. He’s still struggling with the idea of his relatives in prison and that I am now his primary guardian.”

               “Did you tell him you were his father?” Wallace asked. He pulled out a paper and reviewed it. “I see the DNA results came back. You can take that to court anytime to change his birth certificate by the way. Strange how quickly they came in.”

               Severus nodded, though he knew there was never any DNA test performed. He had brewed a potion and used a strand of his and Harry’s hair in it to prove their relationship, then turned the results into a muggle replica. That was why they were in so quickly as he wanted to move along the change in custody as quickly and smoothly as possible.

               “I have told him,” Severus said. “Although I’m not sure the impact of doing so as settled in with him yet.”

               “Does he talk about what happened at his relatives?”

               “Occasionally, but never in a bad light to be honest.”

               “May I see him?” Wallace asked, glancing around.

               Severus stood from his chair and moved to the staircase. Last he knew the two kids were getting dressed for the day, but he wasn’t sure what they were getting up to now.

               “Harry,” he called. “Come down here for a moment.”

               Harry appeared at the top stair, and Severus motioned him down. Severus directed him to the living room.

               “Harry,” Severus said as he sat back in his chair, standing Harry in front of him, “this is Mister Wallace. He’s going to ask you some questions. I would like you to answer honestly, okay?”

               “Hi, Mister Wallace,” Harry said.

               “Please.” Wallace waved off the formal greeting. “My name is Warner. And you must be Harry. How are you, today, Harry?”

               “I’m good,” Harry answered, leaning back against Severus’s knees.

               “Brilliant. Do you mind telling me about what living at your relatives was like?”

               “It was okay.”

               “Was it? Where did you sleep at night?”

               “In my cupboard.”

               “Your cupboard? Was that also your bedroom?”

               “Yeah,” Harry nodded. He smiled as he said, “I even wrote my name on the wall.”

               Wallace flipped through his papers before pulling out a picture.

               “That’s your name, isn’t it? You wrote that?’

               Harry took the picture and nodded. Severus looked over Harry’s shoulder at the police photograph of the cupboard where Harry allegedly slept. It was the first time he was seeing it, and it was a small area where food or cleaning supplies would preferably be stored. Instead, there was a small, thin mattress shoved inside, a light blue blanket disheveled on top. Scribbled on the wall above the mattress was “Harry’s Room.” On a shelf were five little army men and a small teddy bear that Severus recognized Lily giving to Harry when he was a baby. It sickened Severus to see how small it was and how crappy the mattress was that Harry slept on. He held his tongue while Harry spoke about it.

               “Aunt Petunia wasn’t happy I wrote on the wall. But she didn’t make me clean it off.” Harry pointed at the shelf. “That’s where I get to keep some of Dudley’s old toys he doesn’t want anymore. There’s my teddy bear! Aunt Petunia said my mum gave it to me. It’s still there, right?”

               “It is.” Wallace said. “I’ll make sure to grab it for you the next time I’m there. Did you have any toys of your own or were they all Dudley’s old toys.”

               “Only good boys get toys.”

               “You weren’t a good boy?”

               “No. I make freaky things happen. So I only get old toys.”

               “Freaky things?”

               “Or magic things?” Harry looked back at Severus for confirmation. “That’s what you said right? And muggles don’t understand it.”

               “Right,” Severus agreed as he discreetly cast a gentle obliviate charm on Wallace, erasing the memory of the last question asked. He softly muttered in Harry’s ear, “Let’s leave out the magic part, okay? Mister Wallace is a muggle, so he’s not going to understand it either.”

               “Oh,” Harry said, staring back at Wallace, who was blinking and frowning at his papers. “Sorry.”

               “It’s not your fault,” Severus said. He scolded himself internally for not preparing Harry for this meeting. He didn’t mean to confuse Harry now, but they were already into the questions that would be brought back up at the trial. “We’ll talk about it later.”

               “I’m sorry,” Wallace said, shaking his head. “Where were we?”

               “Discussing Harry’s cupboard,” Severus answered. “Were you punished in that cupboard?”

               “Sometimes,” Harry said. He looked back and forth at Severus and Wallace, now unsure about what he was supposed to say.

               “For how long?”

               “I don’t know. Sometimes a couple days. Maybe longer.”

               “Were you locked in the cupboard?” Wallace asked as he started writing on his paper again, quickly falling back into routine.

               “Only when I was being punished.”

               And the questions went on. Wallace moved off the subject of Harry’s cupboard and on to what his daily activities included, and Severus was amazed at how much Petunia taught Harry to do, even if in spite. Harry talked about gardening, cooking, and all the things he could clean, his untreated asthma was briefly brought up, then the chimney sweeping. They lingered on the chimney topic for a while, and Harry explained in detail how he got up into the floo. Severus made a point of asking about bathing afterward, and Harry explained he was only allowed ten minutes or less to clean up.

               “I think we’ve covered the majority of what we need,” Wallace finally said, collecting back his evidence and papers that Severus had been looking at. Wallace gave Severus a critical look. “And you found no evidence of physical abuse.”

               “None,” Severus said. “But that doesn’t mean it didn’t exist.”

               “Yes, but from the boy’s mouth thus far, it sounds like there was more emotional abuse and abandonment rather than physical abuse. I’d like to narrow down what cross examination can cover so there’s no surprises on stand. It might do you some good to practice a little with him so he’s ready for that. And in case he brings up anything else.”

               “Of course. And by abandonment, do you mean . . .”

               “Neglect and placing a child in imminent danger both fall under abandonment, specifically when there is no intervention on the latter.”

               “What are all these questions for?” Harry asked.

               “They are to help us understand what happened at your relatives,” Wallace said. “We need to know everything so we can punish your relatives appropriately.”

               “I don’t want them punished because of me,” Harry said. “When do I get to see Aunt Petunia.”

               Wallace shared a look with Severus.

               “Well,” Wallace said, watching Severus’s reaction closely, “I spoke with her lawyer and I think Wednesday afternoon would work best. Is that agreeable with you, Severus?”

               “I have no classes that afternoon, so I should be able to take him. Harry, why don’t you go play in your room for a minute?”

               Severus gave Harry an encouraging push toward the stairs and Harry slowly shuffled away.

               “Poor kid.” Wallace shook his head and took a sip of his tea. “He really has no clue, does he?”

               “Not at all. I’m trying to help him understand the seriousness of this, but I don’t think it’s clicking.”

               “This visit with Petunia Dursley will hopefully make a breakthrough for you.”

               “That’s what I’m afraid of. He’ll be so crushed.”

               “But you’ll be there for him. That’s what counts. And there’s always counseling if you feel he needs it.”

               “Thank you for what you are doing. Do you believe there is a chance Petunia might put on an act?”

               “She’s looking at up to twenty-five years, but fifteen regardless of the outcome of the trial. Sending a child up a chimney even once is incriminating. And Harry confessed to doing so several times and we have a picture of him covered in soot and Dudley’s words as well. The child was quite intimidated by the officers when they questioned him away from his parents.” Wallace packed everything away in his suitcase and stood up. Severus followed his lead. “She has no reason to keep up the act. I have high hopes that she will be . . . brutally honest when she sees Harry.”

               Severus felt a heavy weight on his chest at that, but he knew Petunia’s visit was crucial before the trial. Harry needed to realize he was wanted elsewhere. Severus walked Wallace out, shaking hands with him and bidding farewell. He sent the tea dishes to the sink to self-wash while he retreated to his study to finish the grading that was interrupted by Harry’s chimney escape yesterday.

               He had just sat down behind his desk when Harry appeared in the study doorway.

 

               “What is it, Harry?” Severus asked.

               Harry glanced at the owl that was sleeping in its cage, then stared at Severus from the door frame.

               ‘You may come in,” Severus encouraged.

               Harry shuffled into the room. He leaned against Severus’s desk.

               “What am I supposed to do?” Harry asked. “I’m bored.”

               “I’d say homework if you’re that bored, but unfortunately, you’re not in school yet. What do you want to do?”

               “I could clean,” Harry said.

               “That doesn’t sound like something you want to do.”

               “But I’m good at it.”

               “I’m sure you are.”

               “What would you like me to clean?”

               “Your room if you need to.” Severus answered easily.

               Harry shook his head and Severus shrugged.

               “Then I guess there’s nothing for you to clean right now.”

               Harry watched Severus mark up an essay in red ink for a few silent seconds before asking, “Can I go outside?”

               Severus paused in his work as he eyed Harry.

“I really do not want you outside without me, and right now, I need to finish grading these essays. Why don’t you go see what Iris is up to, hmm? Maybe she’ll let you play some games with her.”

               “Okay,” Harry said. Glad to have something to do, he walked out of the study and headed for Iris’s bedroom. There, he found Iris braiding the hair on one of her dolls. Her own red hair was braided to the side and she was wearing a sparkly pink dress over her jeans and had a tiara on her head.

               “What are you doing?” Harry asked.

               “We’re going to have a tea party,” Iris said, gesturing to her many toys sitting in chairs around a little table. “Why?”

               “I’m supposed to come play with you.”

               “You’re supposed to?” Iris raised a brow at that in a similar manner Severus would. “Or do you want to?”

               Harry shrugged.

               “Do you want to join my tea party?” Iris asked excitedly. “I could make you a prince.”

               It didn’t sound so bad. Harry had never been to a tea party. And a prince sounded cool. He nodded, and Iris’s smile grew as she jumped over to a desk with a large mirror centerpiece.

               “Okay, sit here.” Iris pointed at the chair in front of a vanity desk. Harry sat down and waited patiently. Iris grabbed a crown from her closet and plopped it on Harry’s head. Then she grabbed something off her desk and uncapped it.

               “Is that lipstick?” Harry asked, pulling his head back when she reached for him.

               “No, it’s chapstick,” Iris corrected.

               “It’s pink.”

               “Just a little bit.”

               Harry sighed but relented as Iris applied the chapstick to his lips. It was just a slight pink that remained on his lips. That was tolerable. He watched Iris closely as she grabbed some kind of powder and a brush this time.

               “What’s that?”

               “It’s just to make you look tanner. You’re paler than dad.”

               “No, I’m not,” Harry protested, but Iris was already applying the bronzer in as good as a job as a six-year-old could do.

               “All princes wear a little make-up. It’s formal. Hold still, I’m almost done.”

               “I’m not a real prince,” Harry said. “Why do I have to wear it?”

               “To make it more believable. You know, Dad doesn’t argue this much.”

               Iris picked up a different powder this time. She dabbed a new brush in it and began rubbing it over Harry’s cheek. He gasped at himself in the mirror at what she was doing. His cheek was turning pink. He yanked his head away.

               “Stop it!” Harry said.

               “Princes have rosy cheeks.”

               “No, they don’t! I don’t want rosy cheeks,” Harry said, pushing away in the chair and jumping out of the seat. He stomped out of the room, throwing the crown off his head.

               “Harry!” Iris called after him.

               Harry tried rubbing the horrible stuff off his face as he rushed down the stairs and back to Severus’s study. He pouted as he walked up to Severus’s desk, frowning up at the man. Severus glanced up at him. A smile threatened his face and he choked and coughed into his hands to cover up the laughter that tried to escape.

               “It’s not funny,” Harry glared.

               “I know, I know,” Severus said. He summoned a washcloth and used his wand to spray it down with a cleanser. “Come here, I’ll clean it off. I guess I should have seen that coming.”

               Harry allowed Severus to wipe the make-up off his face. Iris ran in a second later and pointed an accusatory finger at Harry.

               “Dad, he won’t be my prince,” she said.

               “I don’t want to wear this stuff,” Harry complained before closing his mouth as Severus wiped the chapstick away.

               “Iris,” Severus said, “can’t he be a prince without the make over?”

               “No, he has to look like a prince.”

               “How about a knight?”

               “I don’t want a knight at my tea party.”

               Severus tossed the washcloth on his desk and gently grasped Harry’s chin and tilted his head this way and that to look him over once more. He summoned a handheld mirror for Harry, who was relieved to see his face back to normal. Severus looked over at his sulking daughter, then at the stack of unfinished essays. He sighed. At this rate he’d be working until midnight.

               “You know what?” Severus said, smiling at both kids. “I think I know what Harry might like to dress as.”

               “What?” Iris and Harry asked.

               With a little magic and imagination, Severus managed to transfigure a green blanket into a dragon costume for Harry. And like that, Iris and Harry were chasing each other around the house, Iris screaming playfully as she tried to escape the evil dragon. Severus returned to his desk to finish his grading, casting a muffling charm around his study to help him focus on his work. He managed to finish a few more essays before Iris and Harry ran into his study, laughing, roaring, and running around his desk as Iris tried to avoid Harry.

               “Hey, not the place, you two,” Severus scolded after canceling the muffling charm.

               The owl hooted in alarm, ruffling his feathers as he stepped out of his cage and on to the bird stand, hopping along it toward Severus.

               Harry stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of the large bird, the hood of his dragon costume falling off. Iris paused on the other side of Severus’s desk, smiling and waiting. Severus noticed Harry’s wide eyes and held his arm out to the owl, who jumped from the perch to Severus’s arm. Harry backed up several steps away from the sharp beak and talons.

               “I’ve told you before.” Severus stroked the bird gently. “He won’t hurt you.”

               “Mr. Cuddlywuddlytums?” Iris asked. She ran around the desk and wrapped her arms around the large bird. She pulled him off her father’s arm and squeezed lovingly, earning several cries of protest. “He wouldn’t hurt a fly. He’s the cutest, cuddliest bird ever!”

               Severus sighed and shook his head as Iris tortured the familiar, who begrudgingly accepted his fate.

               “Unfortunately,” Severus began, turning his attention back to Harry, “this is what happens when you let the kid name the pet.”

               “You said it was a good name,” Iris said, glaring at her father, still clinging to the bird.

               “You were three,” Severus defended himself. “He was as big as you were, and you still strangled him.”

               “I don’t,” Iris said, finally letting the bird go. He flapped up to his perch and shook himself out indignantly. “He loves me.”

               “Mmhmm,” Severus agreed. “I should have brought home a kitten.” Severus held his hand out to Harry. “I call him Tum. You’re more than welcome to do the same.”

               Harry was shocked that Iris had grabbed and hugged the bird as if it were one of her stuffed animals. The noises it made were intimidating but now it was grooming itself on the stand. Harry put his dragon hood back up and accepted Severus’s hand, allowing himself to be pulled closer. With Iris at one side and Severus at his other, Harry reached a hand out to the owl and waited.

               Tum tilted his head at Harry and narrowed his eyes at the boy’s hand. With a huff, Tum lowered his head and pushed his beak into Harry’s hand. Harry’s face lit up as he smiled big and gently stroked the beak. Severus pulled Harry’s hood down and ruffled his hair.

               “See?” Severus smiled. “He won’t hurt you. Now, let’s get you two settled into a quieter game. I still need to finish these essays, you know.”

               “Finish them, tomorrow,” Iris said. She grabbed her father’s arm and jumped up and down. “Come play with us. You can rescue me from the dragon.”

               “Like you need rescuing,” Severus said. “I think we need to have lunch and then some quiet time.”

               Severus brought the kids to the kitchen. They resumed their game—Harry chasing Iris—while Severus pulled out the left-over fish and chips from last evening. He warmed the food up for Harry, and when iris showed interest in eating leftovers, he warmed up more for her. Although Harry only nibbled at the food, Severus wasn’t too concerned since Harry was drinking the nutrition potion with little argument. At least he drank all the orange juice.

               The warm meal made two kids very sleepy, and Severus took advantage of the moment to read them a story. He set up on the couch with Harry and Iris either side of him and he read the tale of Babbitty Rabbitty from The Tales of Beedle the Bard. It did not take long until both kids were asleep at his side. With practiced ease, Severus slithered his way out from between them and carefully lowered their heads down on pillows he summoned from their bedrooms. He draped small blankets over each kid then stepped back to smile at them.

               A huge wave of guilt drowned him as he watched Harry’s chest rise and fall. Seeing his kids together playing and laughing made him think of what could have been if he had simply taken Harry in as his son all those years ago. He was figuring out how to manage with two kids, he could have done the same when they were toddlers. Yes, Iris had had her moments in her terrible twos and terrorizing threes, but there were more great and wonderful days with her than bad. He could have added Harry into the mix of it all. Maybe it would have helped his grief over Lily’s loss that much sooner.

               Instead, he had been so afraid of losing both kids he willingly gave one up at Albus’s advice. And here he was now. He had allowed his child to enter an abusive home, and not once did he think to check up on him or start the visits up again. He had been so sure it would have been easier if Harry never knew of their relationship. And Albus had been so reassuring every time he dropped off a new picture of Harry that Petunia would collect for Albus, as per their deal. He should have done more. He should have done so much more for his son. At the very least, he should have been there.

               There was no changing the past. All he could do now was give Harry the best future he could. Severus turned away from the couch and headed back to his study to finish as much grading as he could before they woke up. He had never seen Iris so happy to have a playmate. Harry was so relaxed around Iris, and she helped him open up more. With time, he was sure Harry would find his spirit again and feel more comfortable to take control of the world around him like Princess Iris did. He smiled softly at the thought.

 

To be continued...
My Little Boy by krosi

It had been a bright, sunny August afternoon six years’ earlier. The new house was having its last coat of light turquoise paint applied while other workers continued unloading the new furniture off the moving truck, as well as the few straggling boxes that remained. Severus moved between helping to relocate several boxes as well as manage where the workers put down his furniture all the while trying to stay out of the way of the ongoing remodeling in the bathrooms, kitchen, and master bedroom. The crew had just taken down a wall that hid the kitchen from the living room and dining room, and the open concept he had envisioned was coming together nicely.

               He had managed to snag this beauty off the market a few days earlier, and with the raise he had recently earned at Hogwarts, his budget for turning the old country home into a modern, functional living space had nearly doubled, and he took advantage of it to add in a few personal touches—such as his en-suite and a place he could turn into a study.

               As he spoke with his contractor on updating the central heating system in the house and the costs it would entail, his front doorbell rang. Surprised it even worked, Severus excused himself and opened the door.

               “Hi, Severus!” Lily greeted with a huge smile. She held a green bundle in her arms. James stood behind her and eyed the mess in the house. Severus welcomed them in, and Lily wowed at everything. “It’s really coming together, don’t you think so, James?”

               “I think it’s perfect just the way it is,” James smirked.

               “You two shouldn’t be here,” Severus said. “Remember, you’re being hunted.”

               “Sirius is outside with the bike,” James said. “We’ll be quick so you can get back to turning this place into your batcave.”

               Severus rolled his eyes before he stared at the bundle Lily was carrying. Lily noticed, and she walked over to Severus and held out the bundle to him.

               “Meet Harry James Potter,” Lily said.

               Severus cautiously accepted the baby swaddled in a blanket. As he stared down at the angelic face, Harry’s eyes blinked open, revealing a splash of green. An enormous warmth of affection swelled in his chest and he felt an instinctive urge to protect and love this little bundle.

               “He has your eyes,” Severus remarked.

               “Yes,” Lily agreed, “and your everything else.”

               “Don’t worry,” James said as he stepped closer and smiled at the baby. “We’ll fix all that with the blood adoption.”

               Severus scoffed at that.

               “You’ll ruin his good looks,” he said, holding the baby up more and smiling as Harry continued to blink up at him. “You’ll give him your awful eyesight.”

               “I will not! He’ll have my amazing quidditch talents.”

               “That’s not even a gene.”

               “Boys,” Lily scolded playfully.

“He’s beautiful, Lily.” Severus carefully kissed the baby on the top of his head.

               “I’m sorry you couldn’t be there for his birth,” Lily said.

               “Dahlia was having complications,” Severus said, rocking slightly as Harry slowly grew fussier in his blanket. “Tachycardic, short of breath, but her anxiety has been through the roof lately. Doctors have a feeling that may have something to do with it.”

               “I know that feeling,” Lily said. “She’s due this month now, isn’t she?”

               “August twenty-fifth is the date.” Severus handed Harry back to Lily when the baby began crying.

               “He’s probably hungry,” Lily said as she grabbed a blanket out of her bag and walked over to an armchair. As she settled down with Harry, she looked at Severus and asked, “Do you know if it’s a girl or boy?”

               “It’s a girl,” Severus answered, crossing his arms. “We wanted it to be a surprise, but little missy had other ideas during her ultrasound visits.”

               “Same here.” Lily grinned at Harry.

               “He was showing everything off,” James said, standing behind Lily’s chair and leaning over it. “Weren’t you, buddy?”

               “We get to be her aunt and uncle, right?” Lily asked. “I would love a niece to spoil.”

               “I’m sure she’ll be spoiled enough between the two of us,” Severus said. “But seeing how I’m Harry’s godfather, I suppose it would be fair to make you both godparents.”

               “That would be great,” James said, and Lily nodded.

               Severus was lost in his reverie as he stared at the picture of a baby Harry on Lily’s chest. He stared off at a random spot on the wall in his study. How he missed her and her vibrant smiles and caring nature.  And then came the awful news that James and Lily had been murdered. Prior to Harry’s birth, a spy in the Order had overheard a prophesy and reported it to Voldemort. Severus had been acquainted with a few members of the Dark Lord’s followers and had managed to get Voldemort’s next plan of action out of them and he quickly reported to Albus Dumbledore what he had learned.

               For the next several months, the Order worked to keep the Potters hidden from public eye and Voldemort. Alas, it wasn’t enough, and Severus had been devastated to hear of their murders. Just prior, Dahlia had vanished on him and Iris for several days without a word before reappearing and wanting to go out as a family to some formal party. It had been the straw that broke the camel’s back, and he ended their relationship then and there. And then Albus had inquired about him taking in Harry, and he knew he just couldn’t.

               Or at least, he thought he wouldn’t have been able to. Why Albus hadn’t pushed for him to take Harry baffled him. Yes, he had quickly agreed to send Harry away to relatives, but clearly, he had not been in a good state of mind. Albus should have tried again a few days later or . . . something.

               Severus closed his eyes with a sigh. He should have done something. He should have gone after Harry when he came to his senses. Instead, he believed Harry was in a better place and left it at that, accepting a life where his son knew nothing about him. What had he been thinking?

               Severus was pulled from his thoughts when a hand touched his arm.

               “Mister,” Harry said to him, staring up at him with half awake eyes. The child yawned and rubbed his eyes under his glasses as he gently tapped Severus’s arm again. “Mister.”

               Severus set the picture down and turned toward Harry, leaning in his chair slightly.

               “Mister, hmm?” Severus asked.

               “I forgot your name,” Harry said honestly.

               “I’m your father, you can’t think of a name yourself?”

               “You didn’t tell me I could call you Daddy,” Harry stated with a yawn.

               Severus felt the same warmth of affection swell in his chest that he felt when he first saw Harry all those years ago. He brushed a lock of hair behind Harry’s ear.

               “I didn’t realize you needed permission for that,” Severus said. “You may call me whatever you feel comfortable with. My name is Severus.”

               “That’s a strange name,” Harry said.

               “So, I’ve been told.”

               “Daddy is easier.”

               “I suppose it is.” Severus chuckled. He picked Harry up and settled him on his lap. “What did you need, Harry?”

               Harry rested his head against Severus’s chest comfortably, his eyes blinking blearily as he said, “I’m supposed to help make dinner soon.”

               “I think that would be acceptable. Did you have something in mind?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “No? Well tomorrow, we’re going to have Sunday roast, so I was thinking something easy for tonight, like carbonara.”

               “How do I make that?”

               “How do you make it? Do you even know what it is?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “I will show you when we make dinner. Iris likes it with a little butternut squash and pancetta. Do you know if Iris is awake?”

               “No, she’s still sleeping on the couch,” Harry said. His lower lip quivered. “Aunt Petunia will be mad that I feel asleep.”

               “You were tired. She’ll understand.”

               “I never sleep during the day before. She’ll be mad and I’ll have to go in my cupboard.”

               “She’s not here,” Severus reiterated, shushing Harry. “You’re with me now; no one is mad, and there’s no cupboard to lock you in. Iris slept, too. You were both tired, it’s to be expected.” Severus rubbed Harry’s back comfortingly while Harry yawned again. He figured this was Harry’s first nap in quite a long time, so the child was still feeling the grogginess of having slept during the day. Severus rocked Harry for a moment, feeling the child’s breathing even out, and he was sure Harry was falling back to sleep. However, the nap had lasted two hours, and he wanted to get both kids up or they would never go to sleep at a decent hour that night.

               “Okay, honey,” Severus said as he patted Harry’s back. He pulled the boy away from him and set him back down on his feet. “Let’s get moving so we wake up more, hmm?”

               Severus stood up and ushered Harry out of his study. He was glad to have gotten a third of his work down with the two down for a nap. He had allowed himself to get distracted by Harry’s situation again, but there was so much he still needed to talk to Harry about. And the upcoming trial was one of them. He wished they could just get it over with now and be done with it. There was nothing he could do now but wait and prepare Harry as much as he could.

He led Harry back to the living room. He gently woke Iris and took both kids upstairs to the small library and playroom between Harry’s and Iris’s rooms. Iris jumped in the large armchair and waited patiently while Severus scanned the bookshelf. He grabbed a Dr. Suess book, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, and walked over to the armchair. He lifted Iris and set her on his lap when he sat down in the armchair. Harry lingered at the side, watching his fingers as he intertwined them together.

“Come on, Harry,” Severus encouraged, waving to Harry to come closer. When Harry did so, Severus pulled him on his other lap. “On the weekends, Iris and I try to read together to practice her words. You’re welcome to join in if you recognize any of the words.”

Harry shrugged as he looked down at the book.

“Iris, would you like to start?”

               Iris pulled the book closer to her side of the chair and read the first couple pages proudly.

               “One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish . . .” she began.

               Severus watched closely, but this was one of the easier books he knew Iris could read most of the book with few stumbles. He glanced at Harry, who seemed interested in the pictures, but he stayed quiet while Iris continued flipping the pages.

               “Harry,” Severus interrupted. “Do you want to read any pages?”

               Harry shrugged.

               “Do you want to try a page or so?” Severus said, adjusting the book so Harry could see both pages clearly. When all Harry did was stare at the page for a minute, Severus tried to engage with him a bit more. He pointed at the sentence that read, “Some are fast. Some are slow.”

“Let start here,” Severus said. “Do you know what this says?”

Harry stretched his arms up then shook his head.

“No? Can you sound it out? What letter is this?”

Harry shrugged, turning his head away from the pages and looking around the room instead.

“Harry, you have to look at the words. Can you at least try? Can you tell me what letters these are?”

“No.” Harry finally said.

“No, you don’t want to try? Or no, you don’t know?”

“No.” Harry repeated.

Severus tried not to grow frustrated. While he raised Iris with a love of reading, he knew not all children cared to read, or read at the same level as the next child. But Harry’s lack of attempt, especially for someone who was so eager to please and obey, was concerning for Severus. Harry had seemed interested in the book before he pushed him to try to read it. A thought struck him: did Harry even know how to read?

“Some are fast,” Iris read, breaking the silence. “Some are slow.”

“Iris,” Severus scolded lightly.
               “What?” she asked. “He wasn’t reading it.”

Harry said nothing, only stared at the pages once more.

“Okay,” Severus said, patting Harry’s back reassuringly. “Go on, Iris.”

Iris kept reading the rest of the book without interruption, only stumbling, and needing help twice. Harry remained quiet, though he watched the pages turn and smiled at the silly pictures. Iris finished the book, then smiled up at her father as she closed the book.

“Very good, Iris,” he praised, running a hand through her hair. “Would you like to read another one?”

“No. Can we go to the park?” Iris asked.

“That sounds like a nice idea. Go get your shoes on and wait for me downstairs.”

Iris slid off her father’s lap and ran for her room. Harry copied her, but before he could run off as well, Severus gently grabbed his upper arm.

“Hold up, son,” Severus said. He pulled Harry back to him, standing him in between his knees. “I think you and I are overdue for a talk.”

“About what?” Harry asked.

“A couple things,” Severus said. “First, I’d like you to be honest with me. Do you know your alphabet?”

“Abcdefg,” Harry started.

“Good, good,” Severus said. He summoned a pack of old cards he had used with Iris when she was a toddler. He held up a card that had a large letter R on it. “Do you know what letter this is?”

“R?” Harry asked.

“Yes, good.” Severus flipped through the cards. He held up a J. “How about this one?”

Harry shrugged. Severus shuffled through them again until he landed on S. Harry shrugged again. Severus set the cards aside and summoned a quill and parchment. He scribbled something down before showing Harry.

“Do you know what this says?”

“That’s my name!” Harry said. “Harry.”

“How about this?” Severus wrote next to the name before showing it to Harry again. Harry stared at it before shrugging. Severus had written on the parchment: Harry is a good boy. After a moment, Severus wrote a few more words down in a random order.

“Do you know any of these words?”

“Harry.” Harry pointed at his first name again.

“That is your first name, yes. Do you know the other words?”

Harry stared at the parchment.

“School,” he pointed out. “Hello.”

“Good. Any others?”

“That one looks like . . .” Harry trailed off, his finger pointing at the word he was staring at.

“What’s it look like?” Severus encouraged. “Can you sound it out? The first letter is a d.”

“Daddy?” Harry tried.

“It is. Good job. Any others?”

Harry stared at the words on the parchment for a few long seconds before shrugging.

“Are you sure?” Severus looked down at the parchment. He had written: Harry James Potter, mummy, daddy, aunt, uncle, Petunia Dursley, hello, goodbye, school, chimney, garden, cook, dog, cat, and house. What really saddened him was Harry did not recognize his full name.

“No.” Harry decided. He shuffled his feet. “Is that all you want to talk about?”

               “Don’t take off on me yet.” Severus put everything aside, then gave all his attention to Harry. “One thing we need to talk about is magic.”

               “What about it?”

               “You know that magic is real, correct?”

               Harry nodded.

               “But some people do not, and those people do not have magic. They are called muggles, and we cannot tell muggles about magic or that it exists.”

               “Why?”

               “Well . . .” Severus paused, wondering how he could explain this in the simplest terms. With Iris growing up around it and in its secrecy, it was easy for her to accept that magic was something not to be talked abut with other people unless she was at Hogwarts. “For most muggles, it is a scary idea that we could have magic and they do not. They do not understand it, and it makes them . . . afraid of us. And then they don’t want to be near us. Do you understand?”

Harry nodded. “So I can’t tell anyone?”

“Not unless you have my permission,” Severus said. “But those will be rare times. Otherwise, if I’m not around to ask, assume the answer is no.”

“Like with Mr. Wallace?” Harry asked.

“Yes. Like with Mr. Wallace.”

“But not the doctor.”

“Doctor Villin is a wizard, so he knows about magic and uses it all the time just like we do.”

“I don’t use it.”

“That’s because you’re a kid with an underdeveloped core. When you turn eleven, you will attend a magic school that will teach you how to control your magic.”

“Really?”

“Yes. And it’s a school I happen to teach at.”

“You’ll be my daddy and my teacher?”

“I’ll be everything you need me to be,” Severus said, pulling his son into a quick hug, giving him a kiss on his temple. Severus had wanted to also bring up the trial and how he would go up on stand to talk about how he lived at his relatives, but right now, he just didn’t feel up to that conversation. Maybe it would be best to not mention Petunia or Vernon right now, not that he heard Harry talk much about his uncle. Severus sighed into Harry’s hair. He would have to bring it up sooner rather than later. Especially with the trial just ten days away, and Harry’s visit with Petunia lingering in the upcoming week. He dreaded how it would turn out. Whether she disowned him or not, either way, Harry would be an emotional wreck.

“Daddy,” Harry said.

“What is it, honey?”

“You’re crushing me,” Harry said.

Severus chuckled and released his son.

“Go find your shoes and put them on. We’ll go to the park for an hour or two.”

When both kids were ready to head to the park, Severus drove them down toward the city and to the schoolgrounds, where a public park also existed. He freed his kids from their car seats, but before they ran off, he reminded them of the rules he had at the park: to stay within his sight, no talking to strangers, and of course, no leaving the park. The two kids chased each other to the playground.

He sat down at a park bench and watched his kids. His brain struggled with the fact that Harry could not read. He recognized a few words he had most likely seen enough, and he probably learned his name from teachers at school, but that was as far as that went. He would have to get his son’s previous school records and grades. It would be a lot of work teaching Harry to read at a level appropriate for his age, and he wondered if a tutor wouldn’t be a bad idea. Or if Addie had a few tricks up her sleeve.

               Iris and Harry ran over to the swing sets and Severus stood up to go push them both on the swings. He was surprised when Iris sat, and Harry gave her a push on the swing. He smiled as he watched the two for a minute, taking his time to stroll over to his kids.  

               “Would you like a turn, Harry?” he asked.

               “I don’t know how to swing,” Harry answered.

               “It’s easy,” Severus said, setting Harry down on the seat next to Iris. “Copy your sister.”

               Iris smiled at Harry as she kicked back and forth, making the swing go higher and higher. Severus gave Harry a small push, and Harry tried to do what Iris was doing. It didn’t take Harry long to find a rhythm and soon, Severus was pushing both kids on the swings. In that moment, Severus felt that no matter what, they would pull through all right.

               Later that evening, Severus helped Harry make a carbonara. Iris opted out of helping with dinner, choosing her dolls over helping to cook. Severus did not mind having Harry in the kitchen with him, though he did hope that Harry found an activity or hobby he enjoyed more than housework and cooking. Still, he was impressed with Harry’s ability to prepare ingredients and his accuracy at measuring, even when he cut some of the ingredients in half. So, what he lacked in reading skills he made up for in math and homelife skills. When the food was ready, he sent Harry off to set the table.

               “All done, Daddy,” Harry said, smiling up at him.

               “Thank you,” Severus said. “Go let Iris know dinner is ready.”

               Harry took off and Severus plated the food for everyone, giving Harry a small amount, and poured drinks. He pushed Harry’s drink back and set his nutrition potion closer to his plate so Harry would take it first. And Harry did so with no problems.

               Dinner was a quiet affair as the two kids ate their food hungrily. Harry had managed to eat half of the food on his plate, and even though Severus didn’t give him much to begin with, it was the most he had seen Harry eat since the child had arrived. Severus allowed his kids to play or do something quiet after dinner while he finished up grading. That ended up with Harry seeking him out in search of something to do.

               “What’s Iris doing?” Severus asked.

               “She just wants to color and listen to the radio.”

               “I see. You don’t like what she’s listening to?”

               Harry shrugged. “I don’t want to color.”

               “We need to get you some toys to play with,” Severus said, more to himself than to Harry. “What would you like to do?”

               “Can you read to me?”

               Severus was very surprised with Harry’s request. After their reading lesson earlier, he was sure Harry had no interest in going through another session like that again. However, it opened a book of opportunity. Severus had read all the time to Iris growing up until she took it upon herself to read the words. He wondered if the same technique might help Harry. If anything, it wouldn’t hurt. Still, he had to finish grading.

               “I need to finish these essays, Harry,” Severus said. “I can read to you after. Why don’t you go pick out a book?”

               Harry shrugged. He lingered in the doorway of the study.

               Severus realized Harry would have no idea what the books were about unless he flipped through them and judged them by the pictures. He sighed and stared down at his essays. His eyes flickered from the essay he was grading to Harry and he opened his arms to the boy.

               “Come here,” Severus said.

               Harry did so, and Severus pulled him up in his lap.

               “How about I read as I grade, hmm?” Severus asked.

               Harry nodded.

               “Aconite, a member of the buttercup family, is a highly toxic plat despite its use in potions for pain relief, sedation, and diuretics. The plant is known by many names, including monkshood and wolfsbane. It was once widespread, but due to advancements in agriculture, it can now only be found in wild, secluded places.”

               Severus continued reading the essay aloud, pausing only now and then to mark a correction while explaining to Harry why the remark in the essay was wrong. He was surprised that Harry stayed with him until he finished the essay and moved on to the next. He was sure the topic would bore the child. He grabbed the next essay, and thankfully, it was a different year’s homework. The fifth years. This was the last group he had to grade, and he figured he could do so tomorrow. He sat back instead and focused on Harry.

               “So, what did you think?”

               “It was cool,” Harry said.

               “Did you learn anything?”

               “Aconite is a bad plant.”

               “Toxic, not bad. It needs to be handles correctly and then it can be used for very good things. Like for pain relief.”

               “Like your healing salve thing?”

               “Exactly. There’s aconite in the salve that I used on you and Iris. It helped, didn’t it?”

               “Yeah. My shoulder didn’t hurt anymore.”

               Severus stared at Harry for a moment, his mind straying off the topic of what they had read.

               “I want to show you something.”

               Severus picked up his quill and pulled a scrap of parchment closer. He scribbled on it.

               “Why do you write with feathers?” Harry asked as he reached for the feather.

               “It’s called a quill,” Severus said. “Here, look at this.”

               “That’s my name. Harry.”

               “It is. But this says James. And this is Potter.”

               “Potter is my last name,” Harry said.

               “I know.” Severus tapped the page. “And James is your middle name. And this is what your name looks like.”

               “Really? James like my other daddy?”

               “Exactly. You’re named after him. Harry James Potter.”

               Harry stared at the name written on the page.

               “That’s what my name looks like?”

               “Mmhmm.”

               Harry stared some more.

               “What does your name look like?”

               Severus smiled, then wrote down his name under Harry’s.

               “Severus Tobias Snape,” Severus read.

               Harry stared at Severus’s name, looking back and forth between Severus’s and his names.

               “What about Iris?”

               “Iris Eileen-Louise Snape,” Severus read as he wrote Iris’s name on the parchment.

               Harry frowned at that. He touched the ink, accidentally smearing “Snape.” Severus picked up a cloth on his desk and cleaned the small amount of ink off his finger.

               “Careful,” he said. “It doesn’t dry like a pen does.”

               “Why isn’t my last name Snape?” Harry pouted.

               “James was your adopted father, remember? So you have his last name.”

               Harry was quiet as he stared at the page.

               “But I’m with you now. I want your last name too.”

               “I think we can make that happen. Maybe we can hyphen your last name. Potter-Snape? Does that sound okay.”

               Harry nodded as he rested his head on Severus’s shoulder.

               “Do you think Aunt Petunia would like it?”

               And there it was. The name he had been hoping to avoid all day. Severus sighed as he tightened his arms around Harry, resting his chin on top of Harry’s head. He still didn’t want to ruin this day by opening up that topic. So, knowing it would keep the peace between himself and Harry for now, Severus agreed.

               “I think she would love it.”

               Even if he knew she wouldn’t care either way.   

    

 

To be continued...
The Rest of the Family by krosi

Harry carefully poured the coffee into a mug and set the pot back down on the coffee maker. He poured in a small amount of cream and a teaspoon of sugar, stirring carefully. He set the mug on a saucer, setting the spoon in the sink, then carried the saucer up the stairs. He pushed Severus’s bedroom door open and tiptoed inside, making his way over to the side of the bed and setting the saucer on the nightstand table.

               He heard movement and stepped back and waited as Severus slowly sat up in his bed with a stretch and a yawn.

               “What are you doing?” Severus asked.

               “I made you coffee,” Harry answered, smiling up at Severus.

               He waited patiently as Severus waved a hand, causing his curtains to slide open so streams of early sunlight came through. Severus picked up the mug and took a small sip, his eyes on Harry. His brows shot up as he swallowed and set the cup back on the saucer.

               “I’m impressed,” Severus said. “You remembered how I like it.”

               “I watched you make it yesterday,” Harry said while grinning. “Now you don’t have to inconvenience yourself and I can make it for you.”

               “I appreciate you doing so this morning,” Severus said, now frowning, “but it’s not an inconvenience. Do not feel obligated to do something for me, I do not mind making my own coffee. And what did I tell you about heading down to the kitchen without me?”

               “You said I couldn’t make breakfast without asking you,” Harry said. “I didn’t make breakfast. I made coffee.”

               Severus chuckled.

               “You found a loophole. Very well, I’ll let it go. Go get dressed for the day and meet me back downstairs.”

               Harry nodded and shuffled out of Severus’s room and back to his own. He didn’t know what a loophole was, but he had made Severus happy and that was the important thing. He found a set of clothes laid out for him on his nightstand and changed into those. As he left his room, he ran into Iris, who was wearing a simple dark purple dress and black leggings. She was still holding a brush.

               “What’s the dress for?” Harry asked.

               “To wear,” Iris said, twirling in it. “And we’re going out today, and I like dressing up to go out.”

               “Where are we going?”

               “I don’t know. Out.”

               Harry wondered if the clothes he was wearing was suitable for “going out.” He was in simple blue jeans and a monster truck themed shirt. Then he wondered where on earth they were going out to. He hoped it was somewhere close to home, or even to see Aunt Petunia. It wasn’t Wednesday yet, though, so Harry doubted it was where they would be going. He wondered what Aunt Petunia might think of this strange family he had found.

               “Come on,” Iris encouraged as she led the way down the stairs. “Time for breakfast.”

               Harry sighed and followed her. There was not much he could do about it now. He didn’t know the way back home, and according to his newfound father, Aunt Petunia wasn’t even home but in jail—and all because of him. His lower lip trembled slightly, but he was quickly distracted by Iris’s cheer.

               “My favorite!” Iris exclaimed. She jumped in her seat at the table, set her brush down, and dug into the flaky, steaming round discs covered in a yellow stickiness. “Thank you, Daddy!”

               “I don’t believe those are the clothes I set out for you last night,” Severus said. He crossed his arms and frowned at his daughter.

               “But we’re going out today.” Iris sat back in her seat and gave Severus a sad pout. “I never get to where it. Please? I won’t get anything on it. I promise.”

               Severus tapped his fingers against his arms before unfolding them with a sigh.

               “Fine,” Severus relented. He picked up the brush and began brushing out Iris’s hair while she ate. “Just this once. I would appreciate it if you wore what I set out for you next time. We might be going out, but we could have been going somewhere you might get dirty.”

               Severus spotted Harry and pointed to the chair next to Iris.

               “Come eat, Harry,” Severus said. “We have a busy day.”

               Harry slowly slid into the seat and eyed the fluffy things on his plate.

               “What are these?”

               “Banana hotcakes,” Iris said. “Try it—you’ll love it. Put honey on it! And whipped cream!”

               Harry spotted the bear shaped container and reached for it. He drizzled it on the two hotcakes, then added a scoop of whipped cream as Iris had done. He used his fork to try a small bite. The food melted in his mouth, and the sweetness of the honey coated his tongue, and he slowly savored the new food. It was so sweet and sticky, and he grabbed the honey again and poured more on the hotcakes and eating another bite. Iris smiled at him as she finished hers and asked for more.

               Severus finished brushing her hair and gave her more hotcakes, glad to see Harry enjoying them as well. While the honey was a little overboard, he knew it was an easy clean up, and it was probably Harry’s first time eating these types of foods.Severus quickly used the brush to touch up Harry's hair before sending it flying back to Iris's room.  

               Harry ate one full hotcake, then the next hotcake. They were small, but it was by far the most he had eaten in one sitting. He licked his lips, savoring the taste of the honey on his lips. The fruitiness of the banana and strawberries still lingered on his tastebuds. He eyed the hotcakes sitting in the middle of the table, and his mouth watered for another one. He looked up at Severus, then lowered his head. He would not be greedy. It was nice of this man to feed him as much as he had already. It would be rude to ask for more.

               “Would you like another, Harry?” Severus asked. Without an answer, he slid a spatula under a hotcake and set it on Harry’s plate. “You’re always welcome to help yourself to seconds.”

               “Me too!” Iris smiled, digging in to her second helping.

               Harry smiled and decorated his hotcake with more honey and whipped cream. He ate the whole thing quickly, and while Severus was in the kitchen, Iris grabbed another hotcake for herself and gave Harry another. More honey and whipped cream later, Harry reached for one himself when Severus returned and grabbed Harry’s wrist before he could lift the spatula.

               “Hey, how many have you had?” Severus asked.

               Harry shrugged, then paled. A sudden heat built up in his body and he yanked his hand free from Severus’s hold and pushed out of his chair, running down the hall to the bathroom where he expelled his sweet breakfast into the toilet. He shook slightly as tears welled in his eyes. He was such an ungrateful child; he couldn’t even hold down the food he was generously given.

               A hand on his back startled him, and he looked up at Severus.

               “I’m sorry.”

               “What are you apologizing for?” Severus asked gently as he summoned a small handkerchief and cleaned Harry’s face. “I’m the one who should be sorry. I think that may have been a little too rich for you right now. I didn’t think you’d eat everything I put on your plate.”

               “I really liked it,” Harry whimpered, “but I sicked it all up.”

               “That’s okay.” Severus helped Harry to his feet. “Maybe in a few weeks, your stomach will be ready for that kind of sugary food. For now, would you like something bland to soothe your stomach?”

               “I don’t want to eat anymore.” Harry leaned against Severus.

               “Not even a banana?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “What about toast? No butter.”

               Harry thought about that. He had eaten unbuttered toast many times growing up and never had a problem with it. His stomach growled even after vomiting. He nodded.

               “Good.” Severus walked Harry out of the bathroom and back to the table. Iris shared a concerned look as she muttered a soft apology that Severus waved off.

               “He’s okay,” Severus reassured. “He’s just not used to sweet foods like that. Let me get you your nutrient potion and a stomach soother as well.”

               Harry made a small pout at that. The nutrient potion tasted nice, like strawberries, but all the other medicine potions he has had tasted like dirty socks and gross dirt.

               “There was one time,” Iris said, “I drank a lot of chocolate milk at school, like six of those little cartons, and I made myself throw up too.”

               Harry spared her a glance but said nothing.

               Severus returned with two vials and handed the stomach soother to Harry first, who made a face as he swallowed the potion, then readily accepted the nutrient potion to wash away the gross taste of the first one. Toast was quickly placed in front of him, and he nibbled a corner of a slice.

               Severus glanced at his watch and he hastily moved to the front door and pulled coats off the hangers.

               “Don’t feel rushed to eat it,” Severus began as he handed Iris her coat, “but you’re going to have to bring that with you. We’re running late. Come, let’s get you in this.”

               Harry allowed Severus to put his coat on then followed him and Iris out the door and to the car. He climbed into the child seat, allowing Severus to buckle him in as he did for Iris. He nibbled at his toast and stared out the window, hoping to see familiar territory for a change. Alas, each turn and stop was a new sight. They drove for about twenty minutes before Iris began squirming excitedly in her seat, smiling as she looked around expectantly.

               Harry tried to look for what might be making her so happy, but he did not know this area at all, and he sighed impatiently, swinging his feet. He didn’t like not knowing what to expect. Even at his relatives, he had a list each day to follow, even on school days, and if he didn’t complete the list . . . well, there was only so much he could expect: less to no food, being locked in his cupboard, a sharp smack across the face. It all became repetitive, and that was perfectly fine with Harry. Seeing the same faces, the same places, and doing the same things each day gave Harry a strange comfort that he had come to rely on. A comfort that was slowly fading away, replaced by new strange feelings of desire to belong to this family, and fear.

               Fear of a world that was becoming bigger every day, with no lists of tasks for him to perform, no written expectations, no rules he was familiar with. It was unsafe territory, and he didn’t know what one wrong step might do to him. There was magic in the world, but he couldn’t tell anyone about it. Unless those people were also magic. That was confusing. He also had magic. Was that why he was freaky? But if Severus and Iris were magic but not freaks, was he like them? He didn’t know what to think anymore.

               Finally, the car rolled to a stop in front of a house in a suburban area. Two older people stood outside the house waving to them. One was a salt-and-pepper-haired, tall woman with sunken cheeks, and the other, a broad older man with dark brown hair. The two walked down the steps of their porch toward the car.

               Iris freed herself from her seat and jumped out of the car, running for the couple.

               “Nami!” she cried. “Pappy!”

               Iris jumped in the man’s arms, and was tossed in the air, emitting a loud squeal from her.

               Harry lingered in his seat watching Iris. He jumped when Severus reached around him and unbuckled the seatbelt for him. Severus smiled at him and helped him out of the seat.

               “I would like you to meet my parents,” Severus said, taking Harry’s hand and leading him around the car and to the house where Iris was chatting a mile away in her grandfather’s arms. The couple were smiling at Iris, but their eyes trailed from hers to Harry’s as Severus pulled him closer.

               “Ma, Dad,” Severus said, “this is Harry.”

               Harry tried his best to slouch behind Severus, avoiding eye contact with the new strangers. This family just kept getting bigger. Where did all these people come from?

               “Harry, these are my parents,” Severus said, trying to pull the child out from behind him. “Tobias and Eileen Snape. And therefore, your grandparents. Come say hello.”

               Harry wrapped an arm around Severus’s leg, keeping himself in place so he wasn’t pulled into view. Severus sighed and gave an apologetic smile to his parents.

               “Sorry, he’s still . . . adjusting,” Severus said.

               “That’s okay,” Eileen said, offering a small smile to Harry. “He can take all the time he needs.”

               Eileen eyed Severus and Harry for a moment with a concerned look.

               “You don’t think he’ll . . .?”

               “It’ll be okay,” Severus said, waving her off. “Just go ahead of us.”  

               Tobias set Iris down and she took both of her grandparents’ hands and skipped inside between them. Harry didn’t let go of Severus as they walked after the grandparents and Iris, which made it slightly awkward for Severus as he continued trying to unravel Harry from his leg. He paused at the entryway of the small house and kneeled in front of Harry.

               “There’s no reason to be nervous, okay?” Severus said. “Tobias and Eileen—who like to be called Nami and Pappy—are very good people. They adore Iris, and they’ll love you, too. And . . . I think they might have a surprise for you.”

               “I don’t like surprises,” Harry said, his lower lip puckering out.

               “It’s a good surprise,” Severus said. He massaged Harry’s shoulders. “You’ll see. Relax. You’re okay. I’ll be right here with you the whole time. In fact, would you like me to carry you?”

               Severus was surprised when Harry dived into his open arms. He stood tall, rubbing Harry’s back and contemplating his entry into the house. He felt bad that the whole situation was making Harry more nervous than excited, but there was nothing he could do about it now except be at his child’s side. He sighed and pushed the door open.

               “Welcome to the family!” Several people inside the house cheered loudly, including Iris, who was standing next to two other kids who looked about her age.

Harry hid his face in the crook of Severus’s neck, clinging tightly to the man with his arms. Severus gave everyone an apologetic look as he patted Harry’s back. He was glad he had picked Harry up before entering—he had a feeling the child may have bolted. There was an awkward but understanding pause from everyone as Severus reassured Harry that everyone here was a friend.

               “It’s okay, Harry,” Severus whispered. “Addie is here, you remember her. And her husband and youngest daughter, who brought her kids along. And then it is just Nami and Pappy. They all came to meet you and to get to know you better.”

               “I don’t want to meet anyone.”

               “Are you sure? I think they might have even brought gifts for you.”

               “I don’t get gifts.”

               “Says who? We are celebrating today in your honor to welcome you to the Snape family. Didn’t you want Snape as your last name?”

               Harry thought about it for a second before he nodded.

               “Well, you have to meet everyone else, too.”

               A hand tapped Severus’s leg and he looked down at a little brown-eyed, curly haired boy. The child smiled at Severus before tapping Harry’s leg. Harry peeked down.

               “Hi, Harry,” the boy said, “I’m Joshua. Want to play monster trucks with me?” Joshua held up two large trucks with bright colors and decorations.

               Harry looked around comically before pointing at himself. “Me?”

               “Yes, you,” Joshua laughed. He waved Harry down. “Come on!”

               Harry squirmed in Severus’s arms until he was put down. He chased after Joshua into the large living room space, and they were quickly followed by Iris and two other girls, one six, and the other three.

               Severus breathed a sigh of relief and looked at Addie’s daughter, Tori, who gave him a thumbs up. He muttered a thank you to her as he walked over to the dining table where the other adults have settled down into chairs. Tobias pulled out a deck of cards and began shuffling it, figuring they would give Harry some time to relax and open up to the idea of a party. Severus eyed the small table set up behind the dining table, where a small cake with the words “Welcome Harry” in blue frosting waited to be cut into. Colorfully wrapped boxes and bags, large and small, surrounded the cake.

               “Poor kid,” Tori said, using a hand to push back her brown coils so she could clearly see her kids and Severus’s kids playing in the living room. “I don’t think I’ve seen a child who didn’t jump on a pile of presents with his name on it.”

               “I’ve told you what that awful woman did to him,” Addie spoke up, raising a glass to her lips. “It still makes me so angry just thinking about it.”

               “How is he adjusting?” Eileen asked, leaning into the table to see Severus better from where she sat next to Tobias.

               “At home, pretty well,” Severus said. “But he isn’t letting go of his old life so easily. I mean the second day I had him, he climbed up my chimney and took off.”

               “Mama told me about that,” Tori said. “My husband nearly choked on his tea. He was rather impressed and wanted to see if Joshua would fit up our chimney.” Tori rolled her eyes. “Sometimes I wonder how we got this far in our relationship.”

               The adults shared a laugh while Tobias started dealing for Nap, sending five cards to each player. When the cards were dealt and everyone was judging their hand, Eileen spoke.

               “Are you really taking him to see that wretched woman? A prison is no place for a child. And seeing her could set him back emotionally and you’ve been working so hard on getting him settled and comfortable in his new home.”  

               “I’m afraid I don’t have much choice,” Severus answered. “Knowing he has that visit is the only thing keeping Harry from running off and trying to find his way back to Surrey. He doesn’t understand the gravity of the situation with the Dursleys, and I’m still not sure if he understands that he is living with me now permanently. Petunia had him wrapped around her finger and he’s brainwashed into believing that she truly loved and cared for him and that everything that happened was acceptable. The trial will begin soon—he’s going to end up praising Petunia on the stand in front of a jury.”

               “I’m sure the jury will see what is wrong with the picture though,” Tobias said. “No one in their right mind would force a small boy to climb up a chimney, or sleep in a cupboard when there were clearly more bedrooms available in the house. Even if he is sympathetic toward his aunt, the jury will not be.”

               “Regardless of what the jury thinks,” Addie’s husband said, “the judge has the final say if the jury doesn’t rule in favor of the law, and I know Judge Meyer. He has a soft spot for kids.”

               Severus set his cards down and looked back at the kids. Harry and the older boy were playing with the trucks, while Iris and Ruth were busy putting nail polish on the three-year-old girl. He smiled at them.

               “Has he been registered at the school yet?” Addie asked.

               “Not yet,” Severus said. “The paperwork is in processing and I’m still waiting on his previous muggle doctor to send me medical records.”

               “What will you do tomorrow, then?”

               Severus sighed, leaning into his elbows as he rubbed his face, his hair falling forward slightly.

               “I guess I’m taking him to work with me. There’s no way Albus doesn’t know that Harry is with me by now, and I’m sure he’s just dying for me to get back to Hogwarts.”

               “What do you think he’ll have to say?” Tobias asked.

               “Who knows?”

               “You know who will be jealous that she’s not going to Hogwarts?” Addie pointed out, changing the subject off of Albus.

               “She’s been to Hogwarts a million times,” Severus reasoned. “She’ll live.”

               “She won’t think so,” Addie smirked, while the other adults shared knowing smirks.

               Meanwhile, the kids had their own important conversations. Harry had learned that Joshua was Addie’s daughter’s eight-year-old son, and the two girls, Ruth, who was six, and Esther, three, were his sisters. They all went to the same school as Iris, except Esther, who went to daycare when Addie wasn’t available to babysit for Tori, who was also expecting. Joshua was hoping it would be a boy.

               “Could you imagine another sister?” Joshua asked.

               “I don’t know,” Harry answered. “I just met mine.”

               “Well, I guess they’re okay sometimes. But most of the time their annoying. Esther is always coming into my room and messing with my things.”

               “Iris is cool,” Harry said as he pushed the monster truck over a rolled-up blanket. “I don’t really have anything of my own, so she shares hers.”

               “Well, now you do,” Joshua said. “We got you your own monster truck. That way, whenever we visit, we could play together instead of having to play with the girls and their stupid tea parties.”

               “My own monster truck?” Harry asked.

               “Oh, oops!” Joshua put a hand over his mouth. “It’s your present from mum and dad. Don’t tell them I told you.”

               “Present? For me?” Harry asked.
               “Yeah, for you. Welcoming gifts to the family is what mum said they were for. Well, we’re only like family because Granny was Severus’s nanny growing up, and now she’s your nanny. Your presents are over there on that table. Want to see?”

               Harry nodded, and Joshua led the way past the adults and to the small table. He pointed out the cake, which Harry recognized his name even in the fancy writing, but the other word he didn’t know. Then Joshua dug through all the gifts before grabbing a green wrapped box and handing it to Harry.

               “What are you boys doing?” Tori asked.

               All the adults were watching the boys with smiles, their card game abandoned, cards still lying in the middle of the table waiting to be studied. Harry lowered the box back on the table, but Joshua shoved it back in his hands.

               “Can Harry open his monster truck, mum?” Joshua asked.

               “Joshua,” Tori scolded gently, “you’re not supposed to tell him what it is.”

               “Sorry, it kind of slipped. So can he?”

               Everyone eyed Severus, who snorted and nodded his head. Harry smiled and held the box to his chest. When Joshua grew impatient, he reached over to help Harry rip the paper off the box. Slowly getting the idea, Harry finished unwrapping the gift to reveal a red and gold monster truck. His smile brightened while Severus groaned and glared at Tori.

               “Are you trying to make my son a Gryffindor?” he asked.

               “I mean, it is the best house,” Tori teased.

               “Those are fighting words, honey,” Eileen smirked.

               “This one’s from us, too!” Joshua said, grabbing another box off the table, interrupting the adults’ bantering.

               With the whole family’s encouragement, Harry opened his gifts one by one, with help from the other kids, who handed him gift after gift, barely giving him time to really appreciate each toy he opened, despite Tori’s constant “slow down” reminder to her kids. He was quickly surrounded by transformers action figures from Tori and her family, a plastic dinosaur toy set and more truck toys from Addie and her husband, a new coat, boots, sneakers, and books from Eileen and Tobias, and a real cookware set of smaller sized pots, pans, various serving spoons and ladles, an apron, and oven mittens from Severus.

               “You couldn’t get him a playset?” Tobias asked.

               “I don’t think he would have been satisfied with plastic cookware,” Severus said. “At least he now has something his size he can handle a little easier.”  

               As Harry did with everyone else who had given him a gift, Harry ran over to Severus.

               “Thank you, Daddy,” he said. He hugged Severus.

               “I have one more for you.”

               “Where?” Harry looked back at the empty table that now only had the cake.

               Severus waved his hand and a bag appeared in his grasp. He handed it to Harry.

               “Are you sure?” Harry asked as he took the bag but held it hesitantly. It was all so much, and he did not deserve any of this. He did not do anything to earn a reward lately, not that he ever did something to earn something. “I already have so much and I didn’t even clean the house yet. How am I supposed to repay everyone?”

               The other adults awed while Severus gently held Harry’s chin and tilted his head up so they were eye to eye.

               “No one here expects or wants you to repay them,” Severus said. “They are giving you gifts because they want to, not because they expect something from you in return. And I’m giving you this because I love you, not because you made me coffee or anything like that.”

               “Really?” Harry asked, frowning at Severus.

               Severus leaned forward and kissed Harry’s forehead.

               “Really,” Severus said. “Now open your gift so we can start this party for real. Nami had a lot planned to do with you kids.”

               Harry smiled and pulled the tissue paper out. He gasped as he pulled out a green stegosaurus plushie with brown spikes. He squeezed it lovingly.

               “I love him, Daddy,” Harry said, hugging Severus once more. “Thank you.”

               “You’re welcome, son.”

               Tori waved her wand and vanished the wrapping and tissue paper. Severus used his wand to shrink and summon all of Harry’s new toys save for the stegosaurus. He pocketed everything for now.

               “Who wants cake?” Eileen asked, grabbing a knife to cut into it. Joshua, Iris, and Ruth jumped around the table excitedly for a slice while Esther ran to her mother and pointed at the cake being cut into. Harry didn’t move away from Severus. When Eileen asked Harry if he wanted the first slice, Severus shook his head at the size Eileen had for him.  

               “Ehh, could you give him a slice half that size and very minimal frosting?” Severus requested while Harry looked back and forth between the two.

               Eileen didn’t question it and did as Severus asked, handing Harry his slice of cake.

               “Why don’t you try that and see how you do?” Severus said. “Do you want me to hold your dinosaur?”

               “Spikes,” Harry said, handing his dinosaur to Severus and pulling the cake closer to him. Harry took a small, eager bite. He had always wanted to try cake; it always looked so good when Dudley had it at his birthday parties.

               “Spikes,” Severus corrected himself. “What a very fitting name.”

               Harry managed to eat his entire slice of cake without an issue, then tried to slowly steal more from Severus’s plate. Severus saw him and moved his plate away. However, Iris popped up at his other side and stole a large bite for herself. Severus gave up on protecting his slice and allowed his kids to have the rest.

               “That is sneaky teamwork,” Severus scolded playfully, tickling both kids at his sides.

To be continued...
Quality Time by krosi

After a long day playing games with the other kids and watching muggle magic tricks like a quarter in the ear performed by his new grandfather, the family settled down for a Sunday roast, which Harry managed to eat a few bites of it before Severus let him excuse himself to play with Joshua and their monster trucks while the adults talked quietly again, resuming their card game from earlier.

               While Harry rolled his truck after Joshua’s, he noticed the girls’ playing with their dolls, and while Ruth and Iris chatted away, they also moved their hands. Esther also moved her hands, and Harry realized he had yet to hear the little dark-skinned, three-year-old say a word. He stopped zooming the truck around and pointed at the girls.

               “What are they doing?” Harry asked Joshua.

               Joshua pushed his car back over to Harry and looked over at his sisters and Iris.

               “Signing,” he said. “Esther’s deaf.”

               “What’s that mean?”

               “It means she can’t hear. She was born that way.”

               “Can she talk?”

               “She makes noises, but she doesn’t really talk. She goes to therapy or whatever for that, but it’s really hard for her to learn stuff like that so we just stick with signing. I’ll show you how to say hi!”

               Joshua dragged Harry over to the girls, who paused in their game of house to watch what they were doing.

               “Since when do you want to play dolls?” Ruth asked, crossing her arms.

               “Since never!” Joshua shot back. “I’m introducing Harry to Esther. This is how you say hi.”

               Joshua moved his hand from his forehead and out in a salute like manner. Harry copied him and Esther signed back with a smile. She then touched her index fingers together, one hand closed, the other splayed open, and she rested the tips of her index fingers against her cheek and made a small twisting motion.

               “That’s her name,” Joshua said. “The letter “e” and the sign for dimple kind of blended. Mum picked it out for her cause she’s the only one with dimples. You can also spell it out.” Joshua demonstrated by moving his hands too fast for Harry to see what each letter was. Joshua grabbed Harry’s hands and began shaping them as he said, “This is your name. Harry.”

               Harry allowed Joshua to manipulate his hands through each letter before trying it on his own.

               “And “my name is” looks like this,” Joshua said, taking two finger and throwing them off his forehead in a similar manner as “hello” before pointing to himself and the spelling out his name. Ruth did the same, but much slower, as did Iris. Harry gave it a try himself.

               “My name is Harry,” he said slowly as he signed out everything.

               Esther smiled, then pointed at herself before touching her thumb to her forehead, her hand closed.

               “What’s that mean?” Harry asked.

               “She said I know,” Joshua said with a smirk.

               “Oh,” Harry said, smiling at everyone’s laughter.   

               “Aw, look at the kids,” Tori said, setting her cards down and grabbing a muggle camera, snapping a few pictures.
               The adults looked over their shoulders at the children in the living room gathered in a circle, their toys abandoned as they practiced and taught each other different signs. Severus smiled as he watched Joshua move Harry’s hands in the correct manner while trying to tell Esther that he liked his stuffed dinosaur the best out of all his gifts. Severus had picked up on a few words here and there and could generally figure out what the little girl might want, but he still learned something new from Iris whenever they visited. He was glad Harry was taking to it just as Iris was.  

               As the evening ended, Tori collected her children, holding Esther and keeping her other two close to her side as they floo’d backed to her own house. Addie and her husband left soon after, and Severus was left packing up Harry’s new gifts and settling his kids in their car seats. Nami and Pappy kissed each kid goodbye, Iris gladly returning the affection while Harry was unsure of how to react. On the way home, Iris and Harry were still going over the British sign language alphabet, Iris showing Harry the correct hand movements for each letter. After ten or so minutes, they fell silent, and Severus glanced in the rearview mirror.

               Iris, snuggling her doll, and Harry, cuddling Spikes, had fallen asleep.

               Severus turned the radio down slightly and drove the rest of the way in silence, deep in thought. He wasn’t looking forward to going back to work tomorrow, especially since he would have to bring Harry. Addie would be too busy tending to triplets for another family, and he didn’t want to force yet another child on her load. He had taken Iris to Hogwarts before when her school had been closed for whatever reason or she had fallen ill, and Addie wasn’t available to stay around.

               Iris was pretty good at amusing herself in the classroom quietly while he taught his classes. He hoped Harry would be just as independent, and if worse came to worse, he could have Harry scrub vials if the child was so insistent on having some kind of chore to do. He hoped the new toys helped Harry stay amused. If only he could read . . .

               Severus pulled into his driveway and parked the car. He stared back at his kids, reflecting on his day. Harry had finally managed to come around and he was properly introduced to each person in the house. Everyone had fawned over him, and Harry allowed it but would pull away every few seconds, going back for more just as quickly as he left. The child was so starved of affection, he didn’t even know what to do when he got it.

               As the moon rose in the sky, Severus stepped out of his car and with practiced ease, pulled one sleeping child out of her seat. Iris’s doll had slipped from her hand, and he shrunk it and pocketed it. He moved around toward Harry, pausing for a minute to think through how he would get the second child out. He grabbed the dinosaur first, shrinking and pocketing it as he had done with the doll. He spelled the buckles of the car seat undone, then carefully gathered Harry in his free arm, minding that he didn’t jolt either child around too much.

               Iris stirred slightly, but she merely snuggled into Severus’s shoulder, her arms reaching up to wrap around his neck. Harry’s head rested on his other shoulder, and the child’s arms moved to trap themselves between Severus’s chest and Harry’s, something Severus noticed his son did often whenever he picked Harry up.

               Now that they were still again, Severus locked his car with a spell and carried them to the house, using magic to open and close doors, and turn on and off lights as he moved through his house. He went to Iris’s room first, and gently laid her down and used a quick spell to change her clothes into pajamas. Returning her doll to normal size and setting it next to Iris, Severus kissed her temple and turned out her light, using both hands to adjust Harry as they left Iris’s bedroom.

               Unfortunately, Severus had realized that he had forgotten to pack any of Harry’s medication, even his emergency inhaler, and cursed himself for the oversight. What if Harry had had another attack at the party, and he didn’t have the right medication on him? Severus made a mental note to pack all of Harry’s medications with a lunch for tomorrow. As the father, Severus would have to get better at remembering to bring certain things out on trips.

               Severus sat down on Harry’s bed, gently shaking his child awake.

               Harry moaned, blinking up at Severus with half awake eyes.

               “Hey, buddy,” Severus said, already picking up Harry’s nutrient potion, “I need you to do a couple things for me, okay? First, here’s your potion.”

               Severus held the vial to Harry’s lips and Harry swallowed obediently. Severus grabbed the inhaler next.

               “Now your inhaler,” he said, holding it to Harry’s mouth.

               Harry pulled his head away, burying it in Severus’s shoulder.

               “Harry, please not now,” Severus said. “I know you’re tired, and I’d like to get you back to sleep, but you have to take your medicine first.”

               “Where’s Spikes?” Harry asked suddenly, looking around the room wildly before staring wide-eyed at Severus. “I can’t have him anymore?”

               “Of course, you can have him,” Severus said, reaching into his pocket and returning the dinosaur to full size. “I wouldn’t take him away from you; calm down, he’s right here.”

               Harry took the dinosaur and squeezed it, but he still sniffed sadly.

               “He’s yours,” Severus reassured, dragging his thumb across Harry’s cheek when a tear rolled down it. “And no one is taking him from you.”

               Harry nodded, leaning back to rest his head on Severus’s shoulder again, staring off with a dazed look.

               “I know you’re tired,” Severus said, “but you need your inhaler before you go to sleep.”

               Severus tried offering the inhaler again, and Harry reluctantly opened his mouth and took the medication, coughing slightly after. Relieved that Harry didn’t fight him, Severus used the same spell he had used on Iris to change Harry’s clothes, and the feel of the magic must have startled Harry, who jumped and looked down at himself to see his dinosaur pajamas on him. Harry relaxed quickly however and allowed Severus to tuck him into bed.

               Severus packed some leftovers from the Sunday roast that he had brought home for Iris’s and Harry’s lunch tomorrow. He only gave Harry some pieces of roast, potatoes, applesauce, and Yorkshire pudding, since those were the only items, Harry had eaten earlier for dinner. Severus also summoned the emergency inhaler and packed it away so he would have it with him tomorrow.

               With the kids set, he went to his study, poured more owl food into Tum’s bowl, then finished grading all the essays left on his desk. He worked late into the night uneventfully before retiring for bed.

 

               The next morning came too quickly for Severus’s taste. He found himself dealing with lack of sleep, packing away all his paperwork, making breakfast, giving Harry his morning medications, and a tantrum throwing Iris all at one time. No one wanted to help make his morning easier either.

               “Harry, please drink your potion,” Severus said for the tenth time that morning. “You could be done with it all ready and upstairs brushing your teeth. You like the taste of it.”

               “I don’t want it,” Harry said. “I’m full.”

               “You haven’t even touched your breakfast,” Severus said.

               “I’m full from yesterday.”

               “Well, it’s not going anywhere, and neither are you until you drink it. Full or not, you need the extra vitamins, and I expect you to drink it on your own or I will spoon feed it to you.”

               Harry pouted at the table, resting his head on his arms.

               “Why can’t I go to Hogwarts?” Iris complained as she came back downstairs with her brush, which she had forgotten to bring down earlier. “I’ll be good. I promise.”

               “I already told you,” Severus said, taking the brush from Iris and brushing out her hair. “You need to go to school. I don’t want you missing too many days and you’ve been to Hogwarts many times. Harry hasn’t.”

               “Harry has to go to school.”

               “You’re right, but he isn’t registered at the school yet. I’m hoping to hear word about his status this evening. He could be in school tomorrow.” With a little magical push to move things along, Severus thought to himself.

               “But I can show him around Hogwarts.”

               “He’ll be staying in my classroom,” Severus said. He did a quick three strand braid to the side. “Just as you would be if you had to go with me. Which you do not. Tori will be here to pick you up soon and Addie will pick you up after school. You’ll stop by at Hogwarts then to pick Harry up. That’s final.”

               Iris hmphed, then felt her braid.

               “I want a French braid.”

               “I don’t know how to French braid,” Severus said, handing her the brush. “Be glad I can braid at all. Go get your shoes on.”

               Iris huffed and walked back upstairs. Severus turned around and frowned at Harry.

               “Harry James, drink your potion.”

               Harry still had his head on his arms, and he turned it the other way, away from Severus’s stern look. Annoyed and about done with the impertinence, Severus walked over to Harry, sat in the chair next to the boy and grabbed the vial. He summoned a spoon and poured some of the potion out on it.

               “Open your mouth, young man.”

               “But I’m full!” Harry complained, his lower lip puckering out at Severus. “I can’t put anything else in my—”

               Severus took the chance to shove the spoon in Harry’s mouth, cutting off Harry’s sentence as he was forced to swallow. Harry gave him a miserable look.

               “Hey,” he whined. “That’s not fair.”

               “This morning hasn’t been fair,” Severus retorted. “Are you going to drink the rest on your own, or must I keep feeding it to you?”

               Harry took the vial from Severus and took small sips, pouting at his father the whole time.

               The doorbell rang and Severus breathed a sigh of relief.

               “Thank Merlin,” he muttered.

               He walked over to the door and opened it, revealing Tori, who smiled cheerily at him.

               “Good morning, Severus,” she said.

               “I don’t know how you manage three soon-to-be four kids,” Severus said. “I can hardly manage two.”

               “You’re just new to juggling two kids, that’s all,” Tori said, stepping inside the house. “You’ll figure it out. Iris! Time to go, sweetie. You don’t want to be late.”

               “I want to go with Harry to Hogwarts,” Iris said, stomping down the stairs, her backpack slung over one shoulder.

               “You’ll go with Addie after school,” Severus reminded. He summoned her lunch and held the bag out to her. “Behave for Tori.”

               “Whatever,” Iris grumbled, taking the bag from Severus.

               “That is no way to talk to your father, young lady,” Tori scolded, her hands resting on her hips. “You apologize to him and give your daddy a proper goodbye.”

               Iris’s lower lip quivered as she turned back to Severus and said, “Sorry, Daddy.”

               It was a rare moment when Tori raised her voice, and she pulled off the angry mother look well. Severus pulled his daughter into a quick hug. He brushed aside a loose lock of hair.

               “You’re forgiven. Now, have fun at school. I’ll see you later.”

               Tori took Iris’s hand and led her to the waiting vehicle where her kids impatiently sat. Tori helped Iris into a car seat and waved to Severus one last time before driving off. Severus watched the car drive down the road before glancing at his watch and cursing. It was almost eight thirty am. He still had to set up his classroom before the students arrived at nine. And find something to occupy Harry in that time. He looked back at his son, who was still holding the potion vial.

               “You better be done with that,” Severus said as he walked back to Harry.  

               Harry took one last gulp from the vial and handed it to Severus’s outstretched hand.

               “Thank you,” Severus said. “Are you not going to eat breakfast?”

               Harry shook his head.

               Severus sighed and vanished the food and dishes. He could always have a house elf prepare a mid-morning snack for Harry later. He took Harry’s hand in his and led him to the fireplace, placing a temporary disarming spell on the charm Addie placed on the fireplace for Harry’s safety.

               “Can I bring Spikes?” Harry asked, grabbing his toy off the couch where he put it after Severus declared no toys at the dining table.

               “May I, and you may,” Severus said, waving Harry back over to him. He rested a hand on Harry’s shoulder. “We are going to travel by floo. I know your first experience wasn’t pleasant, but this time will be much smoother. You are only ever allowed to enter the fireplace for this reason and only if accompanied by me or another adult. Is that clear?”

               “Yes, Daddy.”

               “Would you like to hold on to my hand or for me to pick you up?”

               Harry raised his arms and Severus lifted him, grabbed a handful of floo powder, then stepped into the fireplace. Harry wrapped one arm around Severus’s neck and the other held onto Spikes securely as he waited for that strange free falling feeling he had felt the first time. He closed his eyes, not wanting to see the flashes of fireplaces again.

               “Severus Snape’s quarters, Hogwarts,” Severus said. He threw the powder down and they were both engulfed in green flames.

Harry clung tightly to Severus until the feeling of falling stopped and he opened his eyes cautiously.

They were in a small living space that had an attached kitchen with a small dining table. There were three doors to their right, two bedrooms and a bathroom, all of which were hardly used. The only time Severus actually slept in these rooms was when he was on night patrol, which were rare times, and when he had to cover for a holiday, which Iris loved spending the night for Christmas or Easter. He also would stay in the quarters a week before the school year began in order to prepare his classroom, reorganize and stock his supply closets, look over and edit the schedule, and make sure Slytherin house was clean and ready to go. Otherwise, he went home as often as he could to his kid—now kids.

Severus set Harry down, took his hand, and pulled him along to the classroom that was just down the hall. He waved his wand and the shades over the high windows opened, allowing natural light to flood in so he could see much better. Another swish of his wand and cauldrons were flying off shelves to various tables. The supply closet door opened, and certain ingredients rearranged themselves to the front of the shelves. His fifth years should be able to pick out the correct ingredients without him supervising their every move, unlike his first years, but better safe than sorry.

Once that was complete, he unlocked the classroom door and shoved his wand up his sleeve. Harry had watched everything with awe and smiled up at him.

“You did all that with magic?” Harry asked.

“I did,” Severus said. “Let’s set you up over here.”

Severus brought Harry to his desk and cleared away his lesson plans.

“Can you do more magic?”

“Not now, honey,” Severus said as he found some old coloring books of Iris’s in his drawer. She had a princess one, an animal one, and a word and logic puzzle one for kids. He decided the last two might interest Harry more and set them down on his desk. He wasn’t sure of Harry would be able to read the puzzle one, but he could at least color some animals.

“I don’t want to color,” Harry said.

“You don’t have to, but it is an option. I also brought your dinosaur toys.”

Severus pulled a bag out of his pocket, enlarged it, then dumped out the little plastic dinosaurs. Harry happily set them up, so they were all standing. The first class came, fifth year Gryffindors and Slytherins. And while they showed mild interest in Harry, most had seen the wizarding paper, a section of which covered what was happening with Harry Potter’s case in the muggle world. While many were surprised that Severus Snape was actually Harry’s father, the shock faded quickly after reading the details of Severus’s and Lily’s past, as well as Harry’s current muggle situation. Most were glad he was away from his muggle relatives.

Severus had his fifth years begin brewing an invigoration draught, a potion they had reviewed and studied all last week. While Harry fiddled with his dinosaurs, he couldn’t help but watch the bubbling cauldrons as well. Severus walked between rows, aiding students where needed as questions popped up when something about the brewing process seemed awry.

Halfway through class, the classroom door opened, and all heads glanced to see who it was.

“Severus,” Albus greeted warmly, “may I speak with you outside?”

Severus frowned. He really didn’t want to have this conversation now, but he couldn’t possibly avoid it when Albus was standing directly in front of him requesting a word. Severus looked around his classroom.

“Continue brewing your potions,” he told the students, “you should all be near finished with two or three steps left.”

Everyone gave a quiet “Yes, sir,” and Severus walked over to his desk, where Harry was sitting with his dinosaurs all lined up in three neat rows.

“I’m going to be right outside those doors, okay, Harry? If you need me, come get me.”

“Okay, Daddy,” Harry said, earning some awes from the students.

Severus joined albus in the hallway, and he shut his classroom door firmly and put up a muffling charm around them.

“Severus, I wanted . . .” Albus began.

“May I just say,” Severus interrupted, “that I am very furious with you right now, Albus. I trusted you to put Harry in good hands, and you told me repeatedly for years that he was fine. Not once did you suspect Harry was being mistreated and now look where we are. He’s so confused right now, and what’s worse—he wants to go back.”

“Severus,” Albus tried to interlude.

“Did you ever actually check up on him? Or did you just take Petunia’s word that he was safe and healthy. And the damn pictures? Please tell me you were not the one who manipulated them.”

“I am but probably not in the way you think.”

“Do tell.” Severus crossed his arms as he waited for Albus to explain.

“I admit I was lax in actually confirming that Harry was healthy and safe in Petunia’s care,” Albus said, ignoring Severus’s annoyed grunt. “In my few visits there, I never saw a single picture of Harry up on the walls. Petunia simply told me Harry was camera shy and handed me the pictures I requested that she had managed to take of him. He did look thin in some of them, dirty too, but smiling, nonetheless. I only brightened some of the pictures and cleaned up Harry’s looks so you would at least have a decent picture. I never questioned the circumstances under which Petunia took the pictures, or what else she may have done to them.”

Severus felt slightly relieved that Albus had been only trying to preserve the quality of some of the pictures he had been given, but he was still annoyed that Albus admitted to not checking in on Harry in the way he should have been.

“Did you ever actually see Harry?” Severus asked.

“No. There was always a reason why Harry wasn’t available. School, at a friend’s house, extracurricular activities. I see now that none of it was ever true. I truly am sorry this has happened to him, Severus. Could you forgive an old man for his role in bringing this disaster about?”

Severus wanted so much not too, but he knew he was as much at fault as Albus was for his son’s state of being. He should have checked on Harry himself. He shouldn’t have abandoned his kid. With a heavy sigh, he nodded his head.

“I should have been there for him,” Severus said. “I shouldn’t have sent him away so easily.”

“I should have encouraged you to take him,” Albus said. “I didn’t want to seem pushy at the time, as you already had so much on your plate. How is Harry, by the way? He seems to be settling in nicely.”  

“If you could call it that. He has so many health problems we’re working through, physically and mentally. We’re getting his asthma under control, he’s eating habits need improvement, and Petunia is . . . I have no kind words for that woman. But Harry is completely devoted to her. He wants to go back to her. I don’t know what “love” or “affection” she gave him, but he craves it. He climbed up my chimney the second day I had him and tried to run away. He’s been settling in more, but only because he’s been told he has a visit with his aunt this week.”

“And you are taking him?” Albus questioned, his brows raising.

“I don’t want to,” Severus said, “but I already gave him my word. I will not go back on that, he’s had too many people who’ve betrayed him already. I will not be one of them any longer.”

“I understand,” Albus said. “He’ll need that from you. From me as well. I owe him that much. When can I meet the lad?”

“Well, I have an hour break once this class if over. You’re more than welcomed to stick around.”

“Perhaps for a few minutes.”

Severus cancelled the muffling charm and led the way back into the classroom. He halted at the sight and Albus paused next to him with a big grin.

The cauldrons were all simmering, the final step in the brewing process, and all the students were circling his desk, and Harry was showing off each dinosaur individually to the students.

“And this is ankylosaurus,” Harry said, holding up the dinosaur in question. “See how he’s protected by armor and he’s got a big club for a tail that he can swing and protect himself.”

“Wow,” some students said, while others said, “that’s brilliant.”

“And this one is pachycephalosaurs,” Harry said, grabbing another one. “He’s got armor, too—on his head. He smacks into other dinosaurs with it. Pow!” Harry demonstrated by ramming the pachy into the ankylosaurus.

“Does he eat the other dinosaurs he smacks?” a student kneeling closer to Harry asked, watching with an amused look as Harry made a face.

“No, he only eats greens. But Tyrannosaurus Rex eats both of them!” Harry grabbed his T-rex and pretended it was gnawing on the pachy. The students laughed.

Albus chuckled.

“Looks like you’ve got a little teacher in that one,” Albus said.

“My answer key to their next test is on my desk,” Severus growled, then whistled loudly, making everyone jump and look his way.

“These potions better all be worth an O if we can find the time to learn about dinosaurs,” Severus said, and everyone ran back to their table to look at the color of their potion.

One by one burners were turned off, and everyone stepped back and waited patiently while Severus swept the classroom, critically eyeing each one. Satisfied, he stopped in front of his desk, smiling, and winking at a nervous looking Harry, who relaxed and smiled back at him. Turning around, Severus gave his students a mild glare.

“Vial up your potion, label it appropriately, and leave it on the back table. You will see your grade next class period. Dismissed.”

The students rushed to vial their potions, labeled the vials, then collected their belonging and set the vials on the table on their way out, wishing the headmaster a good day as they did so. Albus slowly moved his way to Severus’s desk as the students left, his smile never fading. When the last student left, Severus looked down at Harry, who had lined up his dinosaurs once more.

“Preparing to teach the next class?” Severus asked.

“I was just showing them my parasaurolophus,” Harry said, holding up one of the dinosaurs. “They wanted to know more.”

“I’m sure,” Severus said. He took the dinosaur and studied it. “Where did you learn so much about dinosaurs?”

“Sometimes, Dudley would leave the tv on when he would go play a video game or go outside, and there was a dinosaur show that would come on and teach me all about them. I wasn’t supposed to watch tv.” Harry’s face suddenly fell, and he looked down at his hands. “Aunt Petunia will be mad. I shouldn’t know anything.”

Severus threw Albus a pointed look, and the elder wizard’s face saddened.

“It’s hard not to watch something that was already left on,” Severus said. “That’s not your fault.”

“I should have turned it off,” Harry said.

“Were you allowed to touch the tv?” Severus asked with a knowing look.

“No.”

               “Then how could you turn it off?”

               Harry shrugged, but he seemed less upset. Severus breathed a sigh of relief that Harry hadn’t shed any tears this time.

               “This is the headmaster of the school, Albus Dumbledore,” Severus said, gesturing to the wizard at his side.

               “Hello Harry,” Albus greeted, reaching out a hand to shake.”

               “Hi,” Harry said, shaking Albus’s hand. “You have a funny name.”  

               “Harry,” Severus scolded gently. He set the plastic dinosaur down on his desk in line with the others.  

               “No, it’s all right, Severus,” Albus said warmly. “You’re not the first to think so. It is a bit of a funny name, isn’t it?”

               “Daddy has a funny name, too,” Harry said.

               Severus rolled his eyes while Albus chuckled. Albus winked at Harry, ruffling his hair.

               “I agree with you there,” Albus said. “Your father’s name is by far stranger than mine.”

               Harry looked up at Severus, and only when Severus smiled at him did Harry feel comfortable enough to laugh.

               The rest of the day went by pleasantly, with Harry playing with his dinosaurs and surprising Severus by solving a couple of sudokus during one class period. He ate a mid-morning snack of carrots and apples with a caramel dip, which meant he ate less of his lunch when Severus sat down with him at his desk, sitting Harry on his lap and working on grading and eating at the same time. He tried to stay on top of grading, so he had less to bring home at the end of the week and more time to spend with his kids.

               Harry showed interest in the essays he was grading, and Severus read a paper to him softly while commenting on where certain errors had been made. Harry leaned back against Severus’s chest, and Severus rested his head against Harry’s. He was enjoying the one-on-one time with his son, a chance to just focus on him and get to know him a little better. Harry was such a smart kid, and he had so much potential, yet the Dursleys had allowed him to fall behind in so many areas of life—socially and emotionally, especially. While they sat, Harry showed off his favorite dinosaurs in the group he had, including the pachy, the t-rex, the mosasaur, and the stegosaurus.

               Severus had learned more about dinosaurs in that morning than he ever thought he cared to know. But seeing Harry’s face as he taught his father something new made up for the endless chatter about what stegosaurus ate and did in his day. It was another ten minutes before the lunch hour ended. Severus still had to set up trays of ingredients for his first year Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs. But he didn’t want to move Harry or interrupt his story. They were halfway through the school year; the first years should know how to get their own ingredients by now.

               “Daddy,” Harry asked, “are you listening?”

               “Of course,” Severus said. “You were saying something about Maiasaurus.”

               “Maiasaura,” Harry corrected.

               “Right.”

               “They were good parents. Like you.”

               “Why, thank you, Harry,” Severus said, pride swelling in his chest.

               “And Aunt Petunia.”

               The sense of pride deflated at the thought of being compared on the same level as Petunia weighed on him. He was sure Harry meant no harm by it, and he was still quite pleased by Harry’s compliment, but Petunia’s hold on his son bugged him, and he wanted to end it sooner rather than later. He secretly hoped the visit with her went exactly as planned.

               And he secretly wished he didn’t have to go at all.   

 

To be continued...
Aunt Petunia by krosi

“It’s like a castle!” Harry had cried as Severus pulled into a parking slot in front of the large Victorian castle prison. Severus winced at Harry’s words. Castle, maybe, but he really did not want to see the inside of it, and he especially did not want to take his son in there either.

               HMP Suller Hill was over two hours away from his house by car, not including traffic. He managed to cut that time to forty minutes by use of carefully timed portkeys that activated once he had pulled into an alleyway in the city. The rest of the twenty-minute drive to the prison had been silent, mostly due to Harry still recovering from the strange portkey trip that left him feeling slightly nauseous. Now, Harry was bouncing in his seat excitedly to get out of the car.

               Yesterday, Severus had to take Harry to work with him once more as he was still waiting on immunizations records from Harry’s previous muggle doctor to be sent to him and the school. He had not minded doing so for another day as Harry was very well behaved and played with his dinosaurs mostly. When Addie brought Iris over that evening, he decided to keep both kids around and they stayed for Hogwarts dinner, much to Iris’s delight. She ran around the Great Hall showing Harry off to everyone she knew, even some of the students. Yet, despite the busy afternoon and Harry’s first experience and newfound love of pumpkin juice, Harry did not sleep well last night.

               He had crawled out of bed three times for different reasons—the bathroom, a drink of water, not being tired—before Severus had Harry lie down on the couch in front of him while he finished grading essays. Harry finally dozed off after a couple warnings to go to sleep from Severus, and once he was done with his work, Severus moved the child back to his own bed.

               Wednesday morning came too fast, and Severus had to deal with a tired and moody Harry as well. He managed to get through his morning classes with Harry napping halfway through them. He had the house elves make a light lunch for Harry of just a fruit salad, a few chicken nuggets, and pumpkin juice. After lunch, came the dreaded time to drive to the prison for Harry’s visit with his aunt. Severus moved as slowly as he could to pack up the essays that had been turned in that day as well as his other belongings he would need. He sent Tum on his way to Hogwarts’ owlery before taking Harry’s hand and flooing home himself. And here, he was sitting outside the prison, staring at its cold, lifeless walls.

               “When are we going in, Daddy?” Harry whined. He struggled with the seatbelt still, and he tugged at it impatiently.

               “In a minute,” Severus answered, glancing back at Harry through the rearview mirror. “We’re early.”

               In fact, they were five minutes late. Severus wondered if he might be able to blow through their visiting time and miss it all together. Was all this really going to be helpful for Harry? The court had only agreed to a visit due to Harry’s difficulty settling in his new home, and they were merely trying to help the child, but how on earth was this going to help? Why had he agreed to this? He wondered if Harry would be more devastated after seeing Petunia or more devastated if Severus pulled out of the parking lot and drove away right now.

               A distinctive click caught his ears, and he glanced in the mirror again to see Harry had figured out the seatbelt and was now pushing on the door. Severus had several child protection spells on the car that would not allow the door to open until he unlocked the car himself.

               “I want to see Aunt Petunia,” Harry said, yanking on the latch harder in hopes the door would open.

               With a heavy sigh, Severus unlocked the car and got out, Harry jumping out as well and shutting the car door. He nearly ran ahead to the front door, but Severus caught him by his shoulder.

               “You will stay with me, young man,” Severus said. He looked at Harry’s dinosaur. “I don’t know if they’ll let you bring that in.”

               “Please, Daddy?” Harry asked, hugging Spikes to his chest.

               “We’ll see,” Severus said. He took Harry’s hand and walked to the labeled visitors entrance off to the side of the building. Harry looked around in awe at the massive size of the building and the ancient feel it gave off.

Severus pushed the door open and was quickly directed to a metal detector by an officer at the front desk. Severus stepped through first, letting go of Harry’s hand so Harry could do the same individually. Harry hesitated, frowning when Severus let his hand go. When Severus encouraged him forward, Harry stepped through the detector, clutching the green dinosaur to his chest.

An officer stepped forward and did a quick pat down of Severus, who wordlessly cast a find-me-not charm on his wand. A female officer walked over to Harry and smiled at him.

“Hello, what’s your name?” she asked.

“I’m Harry,” Harry said, holding his dinosaur close as his eyes darted back and forth between the officer and what was happening with Severus. “What is he doing to Daddy?”

“We just have to make sure you’re not bringing anything else but you and your dinosaur into the building,” the officer said. She reached out and gave Harry a brief pat down as she explained, “I’m just going to check you over really quick, and it looks like it is just you! And your dinosaur gets a quick search, too, like you did.”

“It’s just Spikes,” Harry said, letting the officer pet his dinosaur.

“Good day, Spikes,” she said, shaking his paw. “It is a pleasure to meet you. Okay, dear, you and your father can follow me to the desk.”

Severus had watched the exchange and was glad the witch had not been too blunt with Harry about what the pat downs were for. He knew it was routine, but he hated to put Harry through anything prison related. He followed the officer to the front desk, and she pushed a few papers his way.

He saw the visitors’ sign in form, as well as the application forms that he had filled out and owled in (the owl was trained to put certain envelopes in mailboxes). The application forms asked for general information about the visitors, such as name, birthdate, photo ID number, and relationship to inmate. The second page was a questionnaire that asked various legal questions such as if he was on the visitation list for the inmate, if he had ever been on probation, parole, or in a correctional institute, and if he was related to any other inmates in this prison. One question asked if he had been the victim of the crime for which the inmate was incarcerated for, and he answered affirmatively for Harry when he filled out his son’s paperwork, also putting himself down as Harry’s legal guardian and signing his name on behalf of his child. Both had been approved, which he had gotten a call about yesterday evening.

He signed his name and Harry’s names on the visitor sign in sheet, handed that back to the officer, and pocketed the application forms. He glanced at the clock. They were fifteen minutes late now, but it was less time with Petunia. Unfortunately, not enough less time.

“Right this way, gentleman.”

Severus took Harry’s hand and followed the officer down a bright hallway where a couple officers lingered, talking quietly among each other. He glanced at the rooms they passed, seeing a man and woman in one room holding hands and laughing with each other, two kids putting a puzzle together with a middle-aged woman and a younger woman watching them, and two gray haired women looking through a photobook.

Finally, the officer stopped in front of a closed door and opened it, stepping aside for Harry and Severus. She gestured to a table and Severus brought Harry over to it and sat down, sitting Harry next to him.  

“Give her a minute to sit down,” the officer said. “Have a nice visit.”

The door was closed and a door on the other side of the room opened.

There she was, in jeans, a striped, gray jumper, and cuffs around her wrists. Petunia walked ahead of the officer that followed her in.

“Aunt Petunia,” Harry cried, nearly jumping out of his seat.

Severus planted a hand on Harry’s leg, holding him in place and waiting until Petunia fell into her seat across from Severus and Harry, and she routinely brought her wrists up. Her large, pale brown eyes bore into Severus’s, her face expressionless as the officer uncuffed her and stepped back to the opposite wall. He stood up straight and clasped his hands together, not staring at anything really, but letting it be known that he was not leaving during the duration of the visit. Severus glared at Petunia but released Harry.

“Aunt Petunia!” Harry tried again, jumping up and rounding the table.

Severus held his breath.

Petunia’s eyes finally left Severus’s. She raised a hand, halting Harry in his tracks, but the boy merely paused directly in front of her, smiling up at her and clasping his hands together, staring up at Petunia adoringly while she shocked Severus by lightly patting Harry’s head, her hand barely denting Harry’s hair. It was as if this was a common way the two greeted each other. Petunia smirked, flipping her head to get some locks of slightly unkempt hair out of her eyes.

“Good boy,” she praised. “Look at you all cleaned up. Have you not been practicing your chimney cleaning while I’ve been in here?”

Petunia gave Harry a hurt expression and the child gasped.

“I’m sorry, Aunt Petunia, I’ll do it right away.”

“No, you will not,” Severus said sternly, looking between Harry and Petunia, “Harry will not be doing any more chimney sweeping in my house.”

“Pity,” Petunia said with a horrendous smile thrown at Severus. “You’d never have a cleaner chimney. But that’s all right, you don’t need to practice for me. By the time I’m out of here, you’ll be too big to climb up any more chimneys.”

“I’m sorry,” Harry said, his lower lip puckering out.

“Oh, it’s not a problem,” Petunia told Harry, laughing slightly. She patted him on the head again. “You’re such a people pleaser, aren’t you? We’ll have plenty of time to bond here, won’t we, dearie? We should plan for once a week. I’m sure we’ll have so much to talk about.”

“Okay, I would really like that,” Harry said.

“Petunia,” Severus growled the name through his teeth.

“Hmm?” Petunia gave him an innocent look. “Something wrong, Severus?”

Severus could not believe this was happening. He knew this visit would be disastrous. But why would Petunia throw an act now? She had nothing to gain from it.

“Aunt Petunia, did you know I have a daddy?” Harry asked, pointing at Severus.

“Really?” Petunia put a hand on her chest as she feigned surprise. “I had no idea. I guess I never thought a father would abandon his child in a near-relative’s care without so much as a thought of visiting or even asking how his child was doing once in a while. But what do I know about parenting, hmm? I am in here for doing such a poor job to begin with.”

Petunia rested her head on the back oh her hand and leaned into her elbow on the table as she gave Severus a knowing look.

If looks could kill, she would have keeled over flat on her ugly face. Severus glared at the woman with his arms crossed, realization settling in that the act wasn’t so much for Harry as it was for him. He wanted to declare this visit over then and there, but Harry had to say something.

“You’re a great parent,” he said.

Petunia acted touched by Harry’s words.

“And that is why I’ve missed my sweet little chimney sweep,” she cooed while ruffling Harry’s hair.

“I missed you, too.”

“What do you think of your newfound father?” Petunia asked.

“I like him,” Harry said. “He has different rules, though. And I have a sister! Her name’s Iris.”

“Ah, so he kept one kid but not the other.”

Severus bit his tongue at that, then said, “I spoke with Harry about my reasons for not taking him in as a baby.”

“Daddy said he was sad about mummy and my other daddy dying and didn’t think he could raise two babies.” Harry adjusted the dinosaur in his arms as he clarified things for his aunt. “So he gave me to you cause you would keep me safe.”

“Or so I thought,” Severus said his eyes narrowing.

Petunia gestured to Harry.

“He is alive, isn’t he?” she asked.

“You know exactly what I mean.”

“Aunt Petunia,” Harry interrupted, holding Spikes up. “Look what Daddy got me. His name is Spikes.”

Petunia held Severus’s stare a few seconds longer before turning her head.  

“Cute,” she remarked, her tone indicating she found it not so cute at all. A smile spread on her lips as she laughed and pushed the dinosaur down so she could see Harry’s face. “I’m sure you earned that, didn’t you? With lots of chores around the house and tending to the gardens.”

“No, Daddy doesn’t want me doing chores like I did at home,” Harry said.

Severus tried not to feel hurt that Harry still saw Privet Drive as home over his house.

“And I’m not allowed in the garden. Daddy won’t let me outside unless he comes out with me, but there hasn’t been time for that.”

“You mean he’s keeping an active, hard-working boy like you trapped inside?” Petunia clucked her tongue at that.

“He knows exactly why he’s not allowed outside without me,” Severus said, his eyes never drifting from Petunia.

“I tried running away,” Harry said. “I didn’t know you were here, now. I thought I could find you.”

“To be honest,” Petunia said, leaning closer to Harry and whispering in his ear, “I would have run away too.”

“Enough of this,” Severus snapped, startling Harry, who jumped and looked at him wide eyed. Even the officer glanced in their direction. “What goddamn game are you playing at?”

“Language, Severus,” Petunia said, reaching over to cover Harry’s ears briefly then patted Harry’s shoulders. “There are kids around.”

Harry smiled up at her as she brushed a lock of hair out of his face. Severus would not admit it, but he was slightly jealous of the looks Harry was giving his aunt. He sighed, and leaned over the table toward Harry, softening his voice.

“Harry, I think your aunt would love a cup of tea. Could you go bring us a tray? I think the officers might have one for us.”

Taking the hint, the officer in the room walked over to the door and waved down another officer, whispering to him briefly. Harry hesitated, looking up at Petunia, who nodded her head.

“Go on,” she encouraged, “you know how I like it, you smart boy, you.”

Harry smiled and set the dinosaur down on the table and accepted a young officer’s hand, following him out the door. Once the door shut behind them, and the other officer returned to his place at the back wall, Severus glared at Petunia, who smiled slyly back at him.

“What the hell are you doing?” Severus asked.

“Revenge,” she whispered to him, leaning across the table toward him.

“On your nephew?”

“No, of course not,” Petunia said after a bark of laughter. She sat back in her seat, folding her arms, which made her jumper look slightly too large for her. “Harry would never call the police on me. He’s too delusional to do that.”

“So, it’s on me then, eh? What exactly do you hope to accomplish?”

“Well, seeing how I’m stuck in this bug infested dump, separated from my own son who I rarely get to see, my husband will be out far sooner than I’ll be, and only then will I get to see him again, I figured I’d have all the time in the world to fuck up your life. My lawyer told me about Harry’s trouble settling in with you, despite you being his birth father and all. I was actually really surprised when he told me what exactly Harry’s problem was.”

Severus seethed in his chair as he listened to Petunia. Her words were like nails on a chalk board, and he wanted so much to cut out her vocal cords and use them in a tongue numbing potion that he could shove down her throat.

“Shocked, really,” Petunia continued. “I didn’t think he was that brainwashed, but I did see a chance for an opportunity. I can torture you for the rest of your life by turning your own son against you. He’ll come for visits with me, and I’ll set him straight. Whatever trauma you think you’ll have worked through, his next visit with me will obliterate it. I’ll keep him on a short leash, eating out of the palm of my hand while you struggle to have any semblance of the relationship Harry thinks we have.”

“Then consider this your first and only visit, Petunia. I am not letting you emotionally hurt my child any longer. You’ve had your fun. I hope you enjoyed it.”

“You think Harry’s going to accept that answer from you? You were so desperate for Harry to see the real me so he’d accept his new homelife that you brought him to me. In prison. You think denying him visits with me is going to give you affection points? Let alone help him settle down? He’ll be resentful of you. No matter what you do right now, Severus, even if I never see Harry again, the damage is done. You can’t fix him. He has no bloody clue what love is. He only knows my kind of love. And he’ll always take my word before anyone else’s.”

“Don’t be so sure of that,” Severus said. “He might not know what it is, but he craves it. Friendship too. You denied him of that as well, didn’t you? Well, he’s got a sister now. And a family that adores him. They’re already changing him, Petunia. He has grown so much thanks to my daughter and family friends. I’m going to show him what a family should have been like. It may not be tomorrow. It may not be ten years from now. But he will come to see the wrong you’ve done to him.”

“Just remember,” Petunia said, “you left him to me. You left him. To me. Don’t forget that.”

She was right. If he had just taken his son in, none of this would have ever happened. But it was too late to fix the past. He could only move on to a better future. A future Petunia would not be a part of. He shook his head at her, muttering a muffling charm around them.

“I won’t forget that. Lily would be so ashamed of you. So furious. Why did you do it? Raise Harry the way you did?”

Petunia smirked at Severus, staying quiet for a minute.

“Wouldn’t you love to know? Lily was always the gifted one, the talented one, the pretty one, the oh-so-caring one. She was just so special, and all because of what? She could do a little magic? Well, look where that magic got her. Dead. Killed. And it left her son orphaned. Not so special now, is she? And Harry? Special? No. Just because he has magic does not make him any better than my son or me. And look at him—he’s far from special? No talent, no skills, he didn’t even know magic existed. He can’t even read. I mean, clearly, being a wizard doesn’t guarantee brilliance.”

“He’s a child.”

“I was a child once, too. And I was swept away under Lily’s achievements. Well, I wasn’t letting that happen to my son. I kept your kid alive. That was all I had to do.”

“Just barely,” Severus growled, cancelling he charm when he noticed the officer inching closer to them suspiciously. “You nearly killed him on several occasions. Every time you let him climb up that chimney, it aggravated his asthma, he could have died.”

“Ah, yes that. I’m surprised he never did, even when I never gave him his inhalers.”

Severus’s eyes widened.

“You knew he had asthma? You had inhalers for him?”

“Of course, it’s hard to miss it when the child coughs the entire doctor’s visit. Do you have any idea how much inhalers cost? That child was taking money away from my poor Dudders. So, I never picked up his prescriptions.”

Severus wished he had been recording this conversation. Even the officer in the room was shocked, his eyes wide. He would be bringing this up to his lawyer for sure.

“You’re a sick monster, Petunia. Your son deserves better than you.”

Petunia had the decency to look outraged at his comment before her face went neutral. She smirked as she sat back in her seat.

“Harry thinks I’m a great parent.” Petunia snorted. “Sweet boy. So obedient. He’d do really well on the kiddie stroll if you ever find his emotional instability too much to handle.”

That did it. Severus lunged for the woman. He didn’t know if he was going to strangle her or beat the living daylights out of her, but before he could even touch her, the officer in the room grabbed him by his shoulders and threw him up against the wall, away from an unfazed Petunia, who sat there smiling at him.

“Calm down, sir,” the officer said. “I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

As soon as the officer released him, he yanked away from him and stormed out the door, slamming it shut behind him. He nearly walked right into Harry, who was watching a young officer balance teacups and saucers on his hand and head, with assistance from his laughing coworkers.

“Daddy!” Harry exclaimed upon seeing Severus. “I was getting tea, but Officer Parc was showing me some cool tricks.”

“Harry, we need to leave.”

The officers shared a look while they helped the young man remove all the tea items.

“Right now?” Harry frowned. “But I didn’t say goodbye to Aunt Petunia.”

Aunt Petunia. Severus felt a rage boil in his chest just hearing that name. He tried to bite it down and focus on getting out of the building.

“Our visit time is over,” he said, grabbing Harry’s wrist and pulling him down the hall toward the exit.

Harry pulled against him futilely before crying out, “Stop! I don’t want to go.”

“You can’t stay here. Our visit is over.”

“No! Let go! Let me go!” Harry screamed, throwing himself to the ground, forcing Severus to stop. Severus growled frustratedly and reached for Harry to pick him up. Harry back crawled away, still crying out, “No! I don’t want to go.”

“Harry, stop this,” Severus snapped. “Come here.”

“I want to say goodbye,” Harry cried, rolling over and standing up, running for one of the officers. “I don’t want to go.”

“Harry James Potter Snape!” Severus moved after his son.

“Sir, if I may,” an older officer said, stopping Severus with a hand on his shoulder. He pulled Severus aside and spoke in a low voice. “In my experience, and I’ve been doing this for almost twenty-five years, and it never gets easier, it’s sometimes better to let the kids say goodbye. At the least, it helps with closure.”

“I don’t want him near her,” Severus said, glancing back at Harry, who was being held still by the young officer, who rubbed his shoulders comfortingly while they waited for a decision.

“I understand,” the older officer said, “trust me, I understand. I have been keeping up on this case, and I’ve got three boys myself that I would not let that woman touch with a thirty-five-foot pole and their adults now, but for Harry . . . this is hard for him to understand. He finally gets to see his aunt and now he has to leave without a goodbye? He wasn’t in there for whatever conversation you just had. He doesn’t know what transpired and why you are so angry. Don’t let him think you’re angry at him.”

Severus sighed, rubbing his hands down his face.

“I’ll take him in so he may say goodbye,” the officer offered. “I won’t let any more be said between them except farewells. We’ll be in and out.”

“Fine,” Severus said. He just wanted a moment to himself honestly. He was beyond frustrated with everything and he just wanted everyone to be quiet. No screaming, no talking, just silence. He sat down in a chair, his head in his hands. Petunia was probably enjoying this—she had to be listening and the walls were not paper thin.

“We’ll be right back.”  

The officer took Harry’s hand and led him back down the hall to the room, knocking firmly twice before entering. Severus waited in his seat, one of the officers offering him a cup of tea. He accepted it and held it in his hands but did not drink it. He thought about his conversation with Petunia. She was right, of course.

He had left his son in her care.

Harry’s state of wellbeing was as much his fault as it was hers.

He sat up in his seat, leaning his head against the wall as he set the tea down on the empty chair next to him. Was he truly at Petunia’s level as far as parenting went? Was he failing his children? Would he be able to heal Harry from everything he had been through, or was Petunia right? Had he damned his child by bringing him to this visit? Would he be struggling to teach Harry what love really was for the rest of his life? He didn’t know if he was up for that challenge. What if Harry could never get over Petunia’s hold on him? Severus knew he would fight tooth and nail for Harry, and he would love him no matter what, but if Harry was never going to be happy in his care, he couldn’t live with that.

He really wished he had recorded that conversation between himself and Petunia. He wondered if he could pull a recording from a memory as he had done for a picture of Harry. Then he wondered if it would even be admissible evidence—as he had come here for visitation with Harry, not to try and pry information out of Petunia. He didn’t understand all the muggle laws, so he would have to talk to his lawyer about that once he got the recording on some muggle device.

A few minutes passed, and Severus was starting to worry when the door finally opened, and the officer and Harry stepped through. Harry walked down the hall to Severus, cuddling his dinosaur. Severus had forgotten Harry had left that in there.

“Aunt Petunia has to go back to her new room,” Harry said. “She said goodbye and hopefully we can visit again?”

Severus stared at Harry for a long minute before pulling him into a tight hug. He rubbed his son’s back, wondering if he could just make Harry listen to what he had heard. He decided against it. If anything, Harry would accuse him of making it up. He would have to hear it from Petunia’s mouth in person himself. Clearly that was not meant to be today.

Severus squeezed Harry closer before releasing him, running a hand through Harry’s long locks.

“Are you okay, Daddy?” Harry asked.

“I’m okay,” Severus answered. “Just tired.”

“Me, too,” Harry said, leaning into his father’s chest. “Can we go home, now?”

Severus’s breath caught in his throat. He smiled and nodded.

“Of course, we can go home.”

Maybe there was hope for healing after all.

 

To be continued...
Emotional Instability by krosi

“Wow,” Wallace remarked, shaking his head at the cassette recorder in between himself and Severus on the dining table. “I figured she was vile, but I didn’t think she was heartless. This is pretty good evidence, but you weren’t supposed to use the visit period between her and Harry as an interrogation.”

               “It’s relevant to the case, though,” Severus argued, keeping his voice low so he didn’t wake his children. “It’s still admissible.”

               “Ah, don’t get ahead of yourself,” Wallace said. “The judge decides what the jury will hear and not hear. I will take this up with him—”

               “Why would he refuse this? This could win us the case.”

               “It’s not so much a matter of relevance as it is fairness. She did not know she was being recorded, and she could easily retract everything she said here and insist she was merely trying to get a rise out of you. How did you even get this past the metal detectors? You couldn’t have.”

               “Must have been a glitch,” Severus stated. “She was honest with every word, you can hear her malice, and it matches up with everything she has put Harry through and her neglect to treat his medical conditions. For Merlin’s sake, Harry still isn’t convinced he has asthma and he takes medicine for it twice a day.”

               “Poor kid. Did Harry listen to this?”

               Severus sighed and rubbed his temples. After he had managed to figure out how to take the audio from his memory and shove it into a muggle device, he had a long debate for the rest of the evening of whether or not to have Harry listen to the tape or even show him the memory of his conversation with Petunia. However, as he watched Harry pack his new dinosaur themed schoolbag with Iris’s help, he found himself unable to do so. At least not at the time. And now, he didn’t think he could. Besides, Harry was still dubious about magic and its limitations. For all the boy knew, anything Severus showed him could be made up with magic.

               “I don’t think he’d believe it was real,” Severus answered honestly.

               “What makes you say that?”

               Severus sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. He was saved from answering when Harry shuffled down the stairs looking for Severus.

               “Daddy?” Harry called out, making his way to the dining table.

               “Why are you out of bed?” Severus asked, motioning Harry to come to him.

               Taking advantage of the situation, Wallace hit play on the cassette player and slowly increased the volume.

               “I need a drink,” Harry said as he reached the table. He paused as he heard Petunia’s voice. “What’s that?”

               “What are you doing?” Severus asked Wallace, reaching for the player, but Wallace put a hand over it.

               “Don’t you think he needs to hear it?” Wallace asked.

               “Now?”

               Harry did not hear the two adults. He was focused on the cassette player running through the short bit of conversation Severus had stored in the device as it played over and over.

“You nearly killed him on several occasions,” Severus’s voice snapped. “Every time you let him climb up that chimney, it aggravated his asthma, he could have died.”

“Ah, yes that,” said Aunt Petunia. “I’m surprised he never did, even when I never gave him his inhalers.”

“You knew he had asthma? You had inhalers for him?”

“Of course, it’s hard to miss it when the child coughs the entire doctor’s visit. Do you have any idea how much inhalers cost? That child was taking money away from my poor Dudders. So, I never picked up his prescriptions.”

“You’re a sick monster, Petunia. Your son deserves better than you.”

“Harry thinks I’m a great parent. Sweet boy. So obedient. He’d do really well on the kiddie stroll if you ever find his emotional instability too much to handle.”

“Turn it off!” Severus snapped, finally hitting the stop button. He cast a worried glance at Harry as the child stared at the silent player.

“I have asthma?” Harry asked, looking up at Severus.

“Yes,” Severus answered slowly, frowning. “We’ve talked about this several times.”

“Aunt Petunia couldn’t get the inhaler things cause it was too much money that I was taking from Dudley?”

Severus rolled his eyes while Wallace stared at Harry bewildered, stroking his mustache in thought. Out of all the things Harry could have taken away from listening to that conversation, it was the financial burden he supposedly brought upon the Dursley family. Severus understood that Harry may not comprehend the seriousness of Petunia’s words, or what she may have meant by some of the words. To Harry, not only had Aunt Petunia complimented him, she explained why she couldn’t make Harry’s asthma feel better.

“Your aunt was more than able to afford your medication prescriptions,” Severus said.

“But she just said . . .”

“She’s lying. You were never taking money away from your cousin. Maybe money that would have spoiled him, but money that wasn’t necessary to his needs. She deliberately refused to pick up your meds and purposely made you sicker.”

Harry blinked up at Severus, then frowned.

“No. She wouldn’t do that. She couldn’t afford my medicine.”

“Now you accept the fact that your asthmatic because Petunia also said so? Harry, you can’t believe everything she says, she’s been lying to you your entire life.”

“So, I don’t have asthma?”

“No, you definitely have asthma. Petunia could afford to buy your medicine but refused on purpose. She made you sicker.” Severus simply stayed away from the “kiddie stroll” comment.

“No, she didn’t. She wouldn’t do that. You’re lying!”

“Hey, kid,” Wallace said gently, “your father is just trying to protect you. Petunia told him that she purposely did not buy your medicine, and it made you very sick. She knew this. She wanted you to be sicker and dependent.”

“No, she didn’t. She didn’t!” Harry grabbed the cassette player and raised it above his head. Severus and Wallace were too slow to grab it or stop Harry from throwing it in the next second. It clattered to the ground, breaking in half and a small piece popping off. “She didn’t!” Harry shouted.

“Harry James,” Severus scolded, standing up and picking Harry up before the child could run after the device and stomp on it. “You do not throw things in this house.”

Wallace picked up the cassette and snapped the two halves back together and popped the small piece that had fallen off back in. He hit play, and when the conversation worked with no problem, he turned it off and smiled at Severus.

“All good. I apologize for bringing it up, Severus. I will hold on to this and hopefully admit it for evidence. I would advise working with him on answering questions for the trial when you get a chance.”

Severus nodded at that, gently rocking his body out of habit while Harry coughed a couple times then laid his head on Severus’s shoulder, rubbing at his eyes, though a pout still lingered on his face. Wallace left shortly after farewells were spoken, and Severus sighed as he carried Harry out to the kitchen. He gave Harry a glass of water, which Harry slowly drank until it was gone. Severus then walked Harry back up to his bedroom.

“You’re going to be very tired tomorrow if you don’t get some sleep,” Severus said while he tucked Harry back in. “You were up late the night before and you’ve been up four times tonight since I sent you to bed. Is something bothering you?”

“I don’t want to go to school. I don’t like school?”

“Why do you not like school?”

Harry shrugged. Severus sighed, then reached out and rubbed Harry’s back.

“I think you’ll change your mind tomorrow. It’ll be nice to learn something new and make some friends. You’ll see, son. Now, close your eyes and go to sleep. I’ll stay with you until you do, just like last time.”

Severus did as he said, and Harry slowly drifted off to dreamland.

 

The next morning came quickly, and Severus was glad to finally have Harry in school. As much as he loved having Harry in classes with him at Hogwarts, and the students adored him, Harry really needed to start school and catch up on his education. Today, he would be dropping both of his kids off as he needed to give the nurse one of Harry’s rescue inhalers. He had four in total, one for himself, one Harry was supposed to keep on his person, one for Addie or her daughter depending on who babysat, and one for the school. He also wanted to see his son off on his first day, something he did with iris at the start of every school year.

Severus threw on muggle clothes that morning and set his robes aside for when he drove back home. When both kids had eaten breakfast, or what they would of it in Harry’s case, he drove them to the school. Iris was ecstatic to have her father dropping her off, while Harry remained quiet the whole ride over. Severus parked in the front of the school.

“Bye, Daddy, I love you!” Iris said once everyone was out of the car. She hugged him tightly before taking off for class, waving Harry to follow her. “Come on, Harry!”

Harry stayed close to Severus, his feet rooted to the spot.

“Go on ahead, Iris. Harry will catch up soon.”

A bit disappointed she wouldn’t be introducing Harry to her friends, Iris went ahead to class, a bit slower than before.

               Severus took Harry’s hand and pulled him along to the school.

               “We’ll stop by the nurse’s office first,” Severus said. “I want her to know that you are just starting treatment and your asthma is not entirely under control yet. Do you have your rescue inhaler?”

               Harry pointed to the small bulge in a side pocket of his schoolbag.

               “Good. Now keep that close to you, okay?”

               Harry nodded and stayed close to his father through the halls where kids were running and chatting in last minute attempts to socialize before the bell. Severus led the way to the nurse’s office and let go of Harry’s hand to dig through a pocket and pull out an inhaler in a bag that was labeled with all the information the nurse would need to know about Harry and the inhaler. While Severus spoke with the nurse, Harry slowly backed away and slipped out of the room.

               Retracing his steps, he managed to find the entrance and walked out of the school and back to the car. He tugged on the door handle. It was locked. Harry slid to the ground next to it and hugged his knees. He did not want to start classes or go back to school. In the winter, Harry was usually given a long break from school in order to keep up on the chimney cleaning. And Harry loved those breaks. School was an awful place where Dudley and his friends liked to chase him in Harry hunting and all the other students liked to laugh at him. And teachers—they liked to ask questions about his relatives. He was not allowed to answer those. It only led to trouble.

               He had tried convincing Severus to let him stay home that morning, claiming he didn’t need school and that he could take care of the house while everyone was gone. Severus did not like his idea at all and told him that school was important.

               Harry thought about ways to avoid school now when Severus came back. He really didn’t want to stay and be laughed at and hunted and hurt again.

               “Harry?” a small voice asked.

               Harry glanced up at the noise. Joshua was hovering over him, gripping the straps of his bag and wearing a thoughtful frown.

               Harry hid his face in his knees again.

               “What are you doing?” Joshua asked, kneeling in front of Harry. “Classes start soon, you don’t want to be late on your first day.”

               Harry didn’t say anything. Joshua looked around.

               “Does your dad know you’re here?”

               Harry shrugged.
               “What’s wrong?” Joshua asked. “You can tell me. I won’t tell anyone.”

               “I don’t want to be here. I don’t like school.”
               “It’s not so bad. The teachers make learning fun. And Iris is in your class right?”

               “So? Other kids are, too, and they’ll laugh at me.”

               “Why would they laugh?”

               “Because I’m a fr—” Harry caught himself and said, “I’m different.”

               “That’s okay, everyone here is. So no one will laugh.”

               “Promise?” Harry said, looking up at Joshua.

               “Promise. And if anyone does laugh, you tell them they can deal with me. I’m a third grader.” Joshua said the last part proudly and pushed his chest out, as if he had some high noble status. He offered his hand out. “You want me to walk you to class? Then everyone will know they can’t laugh at you.”

               Harry hesitated, looking between the school and Joshua. He slowly pushed off the ground and accepted Joshua’s hand. Joshua smiled and swung their hands as he walked Harry back to the school, talking about the cool things he was learning in his own classroom at the moment. Harry listened with more intrigue. Did they really build their own ant farm in school and watch a family of ants work? That sounded pretty cool actually. They nearly collided with Severus as he exited the school.

               “There you are!” Severus said, kneeling in front of Harry. “Where did you go? Don’t you ever leave my side like that again, young man. I’ve been looking all over for you.”

               “Sorry, Daddy.”

               “He’s okay, Severus,” Joshua said quickly. He held up their interlocked hands. “I found him by your car and I’m walking him to class.”  

               “Thank you, Joshua,” Severus said. “Are you okay with that, Harry?”

               Harry nodded. Severus sighed, standing back up and ruffling Harry’s hair.

               “Have a good day. Addie will pick you and Iris up after school and I’ll see you later this evening, okay?”

               “Okay. Bye, Daddy.”

               Joshua pulled Harry through the halls, waving to a few teachers who greeted him. He stopped outside Mrs. Hadewin’s class. Joshua pushed Harry in gently, smiling at Ruth and Iris as they waved to him.

               “This is your stop,” Joshua said. He adjusted his bag and turned out the door. “See you at lunch.”

               “Harry!” Iris called to him. She patted the seat next to her. “Come sit by me.”

               Harry gulped and slowly moved into the classroom, settling in next to his sister. Ruth sat at her other side, her hair Fulani braided with beads that clicked as she moved, and two kids who looked remarkably similar to each other sat behind them, but they leaned closer over their desks.

               “This is your brother?” the girl asked.

               “He looks nothing like you,” the boy said.

               “I know, right?” Iris said, turning in her seat. “We look kind of the same in the face, but that’s about it.”

               “So cool,” the girl said. “I’m Finella. This is my twin brother, Finlay.”

               “Hi,” Finlay said.

               While Iris and Harry only shared a few physical similarities, there was no question that these two were brother and sister. They shared the same face, the same chestnut hair, and the same blue eyes. They even wore the same colors in their clothes, today’s color of choice being a dark green.

               “Hi,” Harry said. “I’m Harry.”

               “Yeah, Iris told us,” Finella said. “Nice to finally meet you.”

               “Alright class, settle down,” Mrs. Hadewin said, standing up from her desk. She waited for everyone to sit down in their usual seats before talking again, smiling directly at Harry. “We have a new student. Harry, would you like to stand up and introduce yourself?”

               Harry sank in his seat and gave a slight shake of his head.

               “I think you already did it for him,” Finlay said.

               Iris nudged Harry in the side and gestured for him to stand up. Slowly, Harry swallowed and stood up, but his eyes remained on the top of his desk. He didn’t say anything at first.

               “Say hi, I’m Harry,” Iris whispered, trying to be helpful.

               “Hi, I’m Harry.”

               “Say you’re my brother,” Iris said.

               “I’m Iris’s brother.”

               “And tell them you can name every dinosaur ever!”

               “I can name every dinosaur ever. Wait, what? No, I can’t.”

               “Kind of.”

               “Well,” Mrs. Hadewin interrupted, going to a shelf and picking up a book. “I’m sure you could tell us the names of a few basic ones, right?” She flipped through the book until she found a full-page picture. “How about this one?”

               “That’s a diplodocus,” Harry said after adjusting his glasses.

               “Very good. What about this one?”

               “Iguanodon.”

               “And this one?”

               “Baryonyx!” Harry smiled, seeing one of his favorites. “He eats fish.”

               “Wow,” Mrs. Hadewin smiled. “You really do know your dinosaurs. I’m sure you could teach the class a thing or two yourself.”

               Harry lost his smile as he realized everyone was staring at him and he sat back down and looked at his desk. The teacher moved on to their lesson. Iris smiled at him, proud to have shown him off finally, Finlay nudged him in the back, and Harry glanced at him. He was holding a small plastic dinosaur.

               “I take this everywhere,” he whispered, “because it’s my favorite out of the ones I have, but I don’t even know what it is.”

               “It’s a pachycephalosaurus,” Harry answered, digging into his own bag and pulling out his plastic pachy and stegosaurus. “You can just call it a pachy. I have my favorite two with me, too.”

               “Cool. We could headbutt each other,” Finlay said, ramming his at Harry’s. Harry met him halfway and they rammed their dinosaurs.

               “Finlay, Harry,” Mrs. Hadewin called to them. “Class has started.”

               “Sorry, Mrs. Hadewin,” Finlay said, putting his dinosaur down. Harry turned as well, and forced his attention on the teacher. She was talking about subtraction and addition, and Harry thought perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad after all.

               After morning lessons, Harry followed Iris to the cafeteria where they served fish cakes, brussel sprouts, rice, and a yogurt parfait on the side. After lunch, the children were allowed to head to the playground across the street, the same playground Severus had taken Iris and Harry to over the weekend. While chasing Iris to the swing set, a young boy in their class called to them.

               “Hey, new kid!” the dark-haired boy shouted. He held up the plastic pachy. “What kind of dinosaur is this? Nerd!”

               He and two boys behind him laughed. Harry felt his face blush but didn’t say anything. It was better not to usually, and he could escape trouble more often that way.

               “Come on, Derick,” Finlay complained, running up the stairs and holding his hand out. “Give it back.”

               “Fetch,” Derick said, throwing the toy as far away as he could. Finlay huffed but chased after his toy.

               “Leave us alone!” Iris shouted at Derick. “And my brother is not a nerd. He’s just very smart.”

               “What do you think nerd means?” Derick slid down the slide and walked toward Iris, Harry, and Finlay, who had come back over to them. Derick’s two friends slid down the slide and walked after him. It reminded Harry of Dudley and his friends, except this boy was leaner and meaner looking, and would probably be more successful at Harry hunting.

               “I bet,” Derick said, looking between Iris and Harry, “that he’s not even your real brother. Your daddy probably kidnapped him so he could have at least one smart kid.”

               “That’s not true,” Harry said, feeling bad that this kid was insulting Iris, who looked upset at first, then glared at Derick.

               “No one’s talking to you,” Derick said, pushing Harry. Harry grunted as he hit the ground, but he pushed himself up slightly.

               “Hey, at least I have a daddy,” she snapped, pushing Derick back a step for pushing Harry.  

               Derick’s smirk turned to a scowl.

               “Shut up!” he said, pushing Iris forcefully.

She yelped as she hit the ground, scraping her hands.

               Harry felt an unfamiliar tightness in his chest when he watched Iris fall, and that tightness heated its way up to his head, and he lunged forward at Derick and knocked the boy to the ground, falling on top of him and pounding his fists down repeatedly at the boy’s face.

               “Harry, stop!” Finlay shouted. “You’ll get in trouble.”

               “Harry!” Joshua’s voice echoed from across the playground.

               But Harry heard nothing as he kept striking out at Derick. He felt hands trying to pull him off Derick and heard Joshua’s voice in his ear telling him to “stop” and “get off,” but he struggled against Joshua’s pull. Then, adult hands were helping to pull Harry away from Derick as three aides investigated the situation.

 

               Severus walked quickly through the school. He was not entirely pleased to have had to leave work early, resulting in a canceled class, but when the principal had informed him that Harry had been involved in a fight, he had rushed out of Hogwarts as fast as he could. He had not been given much detail and assumed the worst.

               He found Harry sitting outside the principal’s office looking very guilty. Severus kneeled in front of him.

               “Hey, are you okay?” Severus asked, grabbing Harry’s chin and tilting his head either way. “What happened? Are you hurt?”

               Harry shook his head, avoiding his father’s eyes.

               “You should be asking my boy that,” said a middle-aged woman with her hair done up in a neat bun and an expensive leather purse at her side rubbing against her tight black skirt. She had a hand on Derick’s shoulder as she exited the principal’s office. Derick had a black eye and a bandage on his nose, which had finally stopped bleeding. He glared at Harry but averted his eyes from Severus when the man looked at him.

               “Your child is a menace!” the woman continued, pointing an accusatory finger at Harry. “A danger to society. Which really should not be a surprise considering his history. He should be locked up in a psych ward until he can act like a normal human being.”

               “Who the hell are you to tell me what I need to do with my son?” Severus asked in a deathly low voice as he folded his arms across his chest.

               “The mother of the child your son assaulted,” the woman spat. “Just look at my poor Ricky’s face. And he was minding his own business when your kids started teasing him. If you don’t reign in your children, I’ll be making a call to someone who can.”

               “For your own sake of wellbeing, I hope you are not threatening me, ma’am.”

               “No one is threatening anyone,” the principal said, stepping out of his office. He was an older white-haired man in a blue casual suit, with a name tag that read Principal Pederson. He stepped in between Severus and Derick’s mother. “Ma’am, please escort your son out of the building as he has been suspended until Monday. Mr. Snape, Harry, please come in.”

               Severus glared one last time at the haughty woman who stormed down the hall with her son at her heels. He hoped that if the other boy was being suspended, then the events had not played out according to that woman’s version.

               “Unfortunately,” Principal Pederson began, “there was an incident during the lunch hour where your son and Mr. Webb had an altercation. Harry and Mr. Webb of course have their own version of what happened, but Iris and a couple other students were able to corroborate Harry’s side of events, and I’m inclined to believe him.”

               “What happened?” Severus asked, looking at Harry and back at Principal Pederson when Harry looked down.

               “Mr. Webb had been teasing another student and then teased Harry about his knowledge of dinosaurs. Your daughter asked Mr. Webb to leave them alone, but Mr. Webb continued to tease and bully both your kids and pushed Harry. Iris pushed him back, and Mr. Webb pushed her hard enough to make her fall. That is when Harry decided to jump on Mr. Webb and repeatedly hit him in the face, resulting in a bloody nose and black eye. It took a few teachers to pull Harry off Mr. Webb.”

               Severus looked at Harry, who kept his head down.

               “Now, unfortunately, I believe the best agreement is to suspend both children, but seeing how this is Harry’s first offence, I’m willing to allow him back again Monday morning for a fresh start. Mr. Webb will be writing a short three paragraph essay on bullying, so I believe it fair to ask the same of Harry, but on using words and not fists.”

               “Must he be pulled from school, Principal?” Severus asked. “He just started today and I’m trying to get him settled into a routine . . .”  

               “I understand, Mr. Snape. Harry has been through some terrible things, but I must be fair in my punishments. He did attack another student, and I can’t help but worry if this sudden display of aggression might need to be addressed. Perhaps in counseling? We do not want this to become a recurring problem, do we, Harry?”

               “No, sir,” Harry said softly.

               “It better not happen again,” Principal Pederson said.

               “I can assure you,” Severus said, resting a hand on Harry’s knee, “it will not. Let’s go, Harry.”

               Severus led Harry out of the school and helped him in his car seat. Severus drove away from the school, thinking about Harry’s reaction to the cassette player and now the incident at school. He would never have thought that Harry would have difficulty expressing his anger, but the more he thought about it, he wondered if Harry had ever really been angry in his life thus far. Petunia probably never gave him the chance for it and shut down any emotion before it could start. Which meant Harry was most likely functioning at a toddler’s level when it came to expressing certain emotions. Severus glanced back at Harry, who looked miserable.

               “I’m sorry,” Harry said when he caught Severus’s eyes.

               “It’s okay, Harry, I’m not mad at you. Disappointed that your out of school but not mad.”

               “He pushed Iris.”

               “It was very brave of you to stand up for her, but next time, you need to use your words and tell another adult if a kid is bullying you or Iris. You cannot attack people like that, especially to the point that you’ve injured them. That cannot happen again, Harry.”

               Severus pulled into his driveway and stepped out of the car. He helped Harry out and walked him into the house, sitting down in a chair and standing Harry in front of him.

               “Look at me,” Severus said, tilting Harry’s chin up. “What happened today? What were you hoping to accomplish by attacking Mr. Webb?”

               “I don’t know,” Harry said. “He hurt Iris. I didn’t like that.”

               “So you hit him?”

               “I’m sorry. I didn’t want him to hurt her anymore.”

               “Tell an adult next time. Have them deal with Mr. Webb. You and Iris will walk away from him if he is bothering you, okay? Don’t even answer him.”

               “It’s hard. He was mean.”

               “I’m sure he was. But now you’re the mean one who beats up other kids. You don’t want to be that kid, do you?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “Good. Try walking away and telling an adult next time. I do not want you suspended again for fighting. If you are, you will be grounded here as well, and that means a lot of corner time for you under my constant supervision. Trust me, you will not enjoy that.”

               “Okay. Sorry, Daddy.”

               “You’re forgiven,” Severus pulled Harry into a strong embrace. “I’m glad you’re unharmed. Go put your school bag away and bring down a notebook and pen. I’ll help you with your essay. We are going to write about how to walk away and tell an adult until it sticks in your head.”

               Harry grabbed his bag and dragged it upstairs. Severus leaned forward and rubbed his face. He wasn’t sure if he was ready for Harry to experience his terrible twos in the way he should have. Iris at that age had been a nightmare and completely unreasonable in every little argument she had to not do this or why she should have this. With new independence, he figured Harry would open up more, but he had not accounted for the emotional aspect of what that meant. He wondered if Principal Pederson was right about counseling. Petunia had put his son through the ringer and now that damage was trying to heal itself. Would having someone to talk to help Harry through it all? Who on earth would Harry even open up to?

               A thought struck him, and Severus remembered how Joshua had managed to get Harry to go back into the school. Perhaps he didn’t need to find a counselor. A big brother figure was just as good, wasn’t it? Harry was already so relaxed and open with Joshua in ways he was not with Severus. There was a bond forming quickly there, and he wanted to encourage it. He would have to call Tori and set up more playdates with the kids.

               Harry returned with a pen and his notebook, and Severus figured they’d get the essay done faster if he wrote down what Harry said and had Harry practice writing and reading by copying the paper. When they were finished and Harry was rewriting the essay, Severus took note that Harry was careful to keep his words neat, even if he did not know what he was writing.

               Iris and Addie walked through the front door, and Iris ran to her father for a hug.

               “How was school?” Severus asked, taking her bag and looking through her assignment folder. He would try and have Harry sit around while Iris worked on her homework so Harry could see what they were reviewing.

               “It was fun,” Iris said. “Harry beat up a boy who pushed me. He’s my hero!”

               With that, Iris planted a kiss on Harry’s cheek, startling Harry at first. Then Harry made a face and wiped at his cheek.

               “Eww!” Harry said.

               “Oh, grow up,” Iris scolded, her hands on her hip.

               Severus chuckled at his kids. He would have to go back to Hogwarts for one more lecture class with the sixth years, but he helped set Iris up to work on her homework and made sure Harry completed his essay before he left.       

 

To be continued...
Practice Trial by krosi

Addie sat across from Harry and picked up the cards resting on the table and shuffled them. She smiled at Harry as she said, “I hope you’ve been practicing.”

               Harry nodded.

               “Good.” Addie held up the first card, which had the letter B. “What letter is this?”

               “B.” Harry said. “Buh.”

               “Yes!” Addie set that card aside and showed Harry the next one. “What’s this one”

               “R. Rrr.”

               “Good. And this one?”

               “G. Guh.”

               “Very good, Harry,” Addie praised. “You’re doing so well. That’s three gold stars for you so far.”

               Severus watched from his place at the end of the dining table where he had been making light conversation with Tori’s husband, Samuel Brown. Addie’s technique to teach Harry how to read started at with the very basics of phonics. She informed him that having Harry know the sounds each letter made would make sounding out words later that much easier. Once Harry managed to get through the entire deck without mistakes, Addie said Severus could start with short three letter words with similar phonic elements. It would be a slow progress, but Harry was already grasping the idea well, and Severus was surprised by his progress in just a couple days. It was Sunday now, and they were at Tori’s place for the gender reveal to the kids and her husband. The rest of Tori’s family would hear it during Joshua’s birthday, which was just a few weeks away.

               “He’s catching on fast,” Samuel said, leaning back in his seat and watching Harry as he successfully completed half the deck. “Boy enunciates better than I do, he’ll be reading in no time.”  

               “I hope so,” Severus said. “He’s so far behind where he should be.”

Samuel was a black wizard with a lean build and an anchor beard gracing his face. He had pureblood roots, but a blended upbringing between the wizarding world and muggle world as his family had been very accepting of both. He had followed in his parents’ footsteps and became a lawyer for all witches and wizards who found themselves in muggle trouble, and his clientele was huge, with a good mix of paying purebloods, half-bloods, and muggleborns. Tori was his partner, though she had taken time off once again to get through her pregnancy stress free and spend more time with her kids.

As for the kids, they were all currently sitting on the couch, Joshua at one end, Ruth and Esther in the middle, and Iris at the other end. The Brown’s family dog, Enid, an English Springer Spaniel, laid at their feet while the kids stared up at Tori with hopeful expressions, Joshua clasping his hands together and muttering a repetitive prayer under his breath as he waited for the verdict. Tori was sitting in the chair across from the kids.

“Samuel, get over here!” Tori snapped. “I can’t do this without you.”

“I’m coming, baby,” Samuel said, strutting over to his wife playfully and sitting on the arm of the chair. “I wouldn’t miss the reveal of our baby’s gender.”

Samuel leaned down and kissed Tori’s slight baby bump, then kissed his wife, much to the kids’ disgust.

“Mum, Dad, do that in your room,” Ruth complained while Iris laughed. 

“We don’t have time for that,” Joshua complained. “I need to know if I’m finally getting a brother.”

Samuel playfully held up a finger to his children to signal them another minute while he deepened his kiss. Tori laughed and pushed him away, forcing his to readjust on the arm of the chair.

“Okay, dear, let’s not keep them waiting much longer.” Tori said. “They’re not enjoying the show.”

Severus leaned against the wall nearby to listen in, and Addie paused with Harry and looked out to the living room.

               “So,” Tori began slowly, signing as well for Esther, “your new sibling . . . is . . .”

               Joshua resumed his prayer hands while the girls held hands.

               “A girl.”

               “Ooh!” Samuel cheered, doing a short lap around the chair before kissing his wife again, then touching her stomach and cooing to the baby inside. “Hello there, little princess. I’m your daddy. Yes, I am.”

               The girls cheered, throwing silent jazz hands up in the air with Esther while Joshua’s mouth dropped.

               “Aww, Mum!” he complained. “Not another sister.”

               “I’m sorry, Joshy,” Tori said, “I know how much you really wanted a brother, but you’ll love her all the same, you know that.”

               Joshua groaned and fell back into the couch while the girls ran over to Tori, surrounding her in the chair.

               “What are you naming her?” Iris asked.

               “Well, you know how you’re named after dad’s mum, Ruth,” Tori said, looking from one daughter to the next, “and Esther has my mother’s name for her middle name, we we’re thinking we’d name her after your dad’s grandmother, Jemima.”

               “How pretty,” Iris said.

               Esther copied her mother’s hands and signed the new baby’s name before she smiled and practiced signing it repeatedly.

               “What if it was a boy?” Iris asked.

               “I don’t even want to know,” Joshua complained from the couch. He turned so he was facing the cushions. “I can’t have hopes.”

               “Drama queen,” Samuel said, gesturing to his son. “Get off there and come give your mum and baby sister some love.”

               Joshua sighed, but did as his father said, hugging his mother carefully as he asked, “Are you sure it’s a girl?” 

               Severus chuckled at that. He remembered when Lily and Dahlia had both been excited when they discovered their baby’s gender, even if they had wanted it to be a surprise originally. He had also shared their excitement and may have gone a little overboard on preparing the nursery for Iris’s, much to Dahlia’s amusement. Thinking about Dahlia brought a heavy weight on his heart. In a way, he still very much loved her, but not in the same way he did when they had been expecting Iris. What happened between them was unfortunate, and he wished they could have found the same spark Tori and Samuel shared that kept them inseparable.

               Severus shook those thoughts away and turned to look back at a grinning Addie. She smiled at him as he sat in the chair next to Harry, pulling his tea back toward him.

               “You know,” Addie said, “she will be my thirteenth grandbaby.”

               “Really?” Severus raised a brow at that.

               “Between my five children, it has been such a joy to have so many grandchildren to spoil.”

               “I can’t imagine,” Severus replied honestly. He really couldn’t imagine what it would be like having thirteen grandchildren, let alone five children to start with. He was quite content with Harry and Iris.

               Samuel rejoined Severus, Addie, and Harry at the table with a huge smile on his face still.

               “You here that?” he asked Severus. “Another baby girl.”

               “Yes, congratulations. I can’t imagine having three Irises under one roof.”

               “It’s not so bad—they’re angels.”

               Severus snorted, nearly choking on his tea as he had been sipping it.

               “Alright, man,” Samuel said, shaking his head, “are you ready for this?”

               Severus looked over at Addie, who set her cards aside and nodded at him. Tori was helping Esther into a coat and leading the girls and Joshua, who had Enid on a leash, outside to the car to take them to the playground. Severus sighed and nodded his head. He wasn’t ready for it, but they still had to review with Harry for the courtroom.

               “Okay,” Samuel said. He stepped back and glanced out the living room window, waiting for the car to pull out of the driveway. Then, he waved his wand and turned the living room into a replica of a courtroom, with a judge’s bench, a witness stand, and a jury box in the far end of the living room, while two tables appeared a few feet away in front of the bench and witness stand. A rail appeared behind those tables and several benches appeared behind it. The room dimmed as the window covered itself up and the fireplace smothered itself.

               Samuel pulled out his wand and stared at a picture on a newspaper for a moment before tapping the picture with his wand and tapping the table where the defendant would normally sit. A hologram of Petunia based on the newspaper picture appeared, and she sat stone still in her seat. Samuel did the same again at the judge’s bench, and a hologram image of a random judge appeared as stock still as Petunia. Harry had watched in awe as the room transformed, and his eyes fell on Petunia. He pointed at her and looked up at Severus.

               “Is Aunt Petunia going to be there, too?”

               “Yes,” Samuel answered for Harry. “But you can’t talk to her.”

               “Why?”

               “Because it’s considered rude in court. You don’t want to be rude, do you?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “This is what will happen in ten days,” Samuel said, putting a hand on Harry’s shoulder and walking him through the public benches and past the rail, as he explained what Harry would do. “You’ll be in a nice quiet room hanging out with Addie until you’re called to the stand. When that happens, Addie will walk you up to this rail, and then your father’s lawyer will help you up to the stand here. Petunia will be there but do not say anything to her, okay? Remember, it’s rude to talk to the other side of the room. The bailiff will swear you in before you sit down. Like this.”

               Samuel picked up a bible and had Harry place one hand on the bible and raise his other hand.

               “Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? And you say . . .”

               “Yes,” Harry answered.

               “It’s that easy,” Samuel said. “Now, you sit down up here, and answer some questions from your dad’s lawyer and then from Petunia’s lawyer.”

               “Is Daddy going to be there, too?”

               “Daddy is going to sit at this table,” Samuel said, pointing at the opposite table of Petunia’s. “Severus, if you don’t mind.”

               Severus took a seat at the table, looking far too intent for a trial run of the court appearance.

               “He’ll be right in front of you the whole time. So if you’re feeling unsure or nervous, you can look at him, okay?”

               “Okay. What about Addie?”

               “Addie will be behind the rail,” Samuel gestured to Addie to sit anywhere, and she picked a bench right behind the rail.

               “Why not by Daddy?”

               “She’s not allowed up any further. That’s just how it works. She will sit where there might be some other people, and there will also be people in this box over here.” Samuel pointed at the jury box. “They are the ones who need to know what happened at your relatives so they can give her an appropriate time out. Do you understand?”

               Harry nodded.

               “Are you ready to answer some questions?”

               Harry nodded again.

               “You remember that the day you fell through the floo was January fifteenth, correct?” Samuel asked.

               Harry nodded. Severus had informed him of the date numerous times.

               “Good. I’m sure Wallace will probably start with some basics. What is your name?”

               “Harry.”

               “You should answer with your full name. Try again.”

               “Harry James Potter . . . Snape,” Harry added at the end as an afterthought.

               Severus snorted at that.

               “How old are you?”

               “Six.”

               “Where do you go to school?”

               “I don’t know.”

               Samuel laughed at that. Severus smiled at Harry, who looked confused as to why Samuel found that funny.

               “Stallmore Primary School,” Samuel answered for Harry. “That’s where you go, kiddo.”

               “Oh,” Harry said with a frown.

               “It’s okay, you’ve got plenty of time to practice more before the trial. How about . . . who do you live with currently?”

               “Daddy.” Harry said.

               “Do you know his name?”

               “Umm, Sev-vv-ru-us Snape.”

               “Sounds about right to me,” Samuel smirked, and Severus sent the man a mild glare behind his back. “And you also live with your sister, too, right?”

               “Yes. Iris.”

               “Who did you live with before?”

               “Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon.”

               “Are either of those people in this room now?”

               “No,” Harry answered honestly.

               Samuel smiled and said, “You’re right, but let’s pretend that the Petunia hologram is in fact Petunia, okay? Can you point her out?”

               Harry pointed at Petunia, and Samuel nodded.

               “That is what you’ll do in court. Don’t say anything to her, just point at her when asked.”

               “Okay.”

               “What happened on the day of June fifteenth around three pm?”

               “I was cleaning the chimney and then I fell through the chimney and . . .” Harry hesitated as he tried to remember how Severus wanted him to phrase it, “I got lost.”

               “You were cleaning a chimney?” Samuel asked.

               “Yeah.”

               “Can you describe how you clean the chimney for those who may not know how it’s done?”

               “Okay, err, I clean out some of the ash in the fireplace, and then I have to climb up the narrow part in the chimney, and then there’s a shelf I can get on, and I take the brush and scrub it really well so all the soot comes off. Then I crawl up the chimney and scrub all the sides with the brush so soot comes off and falls down to the shelf. And when I get to the top, I get my bag, and I fall all the way back down.”

               “You fall?” Samuel asked, genuinely surprised and falling out of character.
               Even Severus and Addie perked up at that.

               “I have to to get back to the shelf and collect all the soot in my bag. I always land on my feet nice and soft. And then I crawl back up the chimney with the bag and I climb down the ladder that Aunt Petunia sets up, and I go back inside and scoop up any soot that fell all the way down.”

               “That sounds like a lot of work for a six-year-old boy to do,” Samuel said. “How often do you do it?”

               “Weekly in the winter, and then only once in a while through the rest of the year. Whenever Aunt Petunia says it needs to be done.”

               “I see. How long have you been chimney sweeping?”

               “Since I was four,” Harry answered.

               “And is it true that Aunt Petunia only feeds you a small breakfast each day to keep you small enough to fit up the chimney?”

               “Sometimes I get a little dinner too.”

               “And when you are done with the chimney sweeping,” Samuel continued, trying hard not to be affected by Harry’s blunt attitude toward his relative’s treatment of him. “do you have other chores to do or is that it?”

               “Well, usually I make breakfast for everyone first, then do the less dirty chores, like dusting and mopping, and then I pull weeds and water the garden, then I do the chimney.”

               “And take a bath after, right?”

               “Only on chimney cleaning day. And I only have ten minutes to clean up.”

               “Here would be a good time for Wallace to present that photo of Harry covered in soot,” Samuel said, looking back at Severus briefly. He smiled at Harry as he continued. “Is it true when you got lost after cleaning the chimney at three pm on January fifteenth, you were lost in the neighborhood and your godfather found you, and after recognizing you, took you to his house and cleaned you up?”

               “Yeah.”

               “How did you get lost?”

               “Umm,” Harry frowned, trying to remember how he was supposed to word it. It wasn’t a really hard or long story to tell since Severus kept it pretty close to how it actually happened, emotion wise anyway. “I fell in the fireplace, and I hit my head, and I don’t really remember much but I ended up somewhere else and I was really scared and then I ended up with Daddy.”

               “Told straight from a child’s mouth,” Samuel said, nodding his head. “I like it. It’s emotional, you can’t tear it apart much; kind of indicates a potential concussion and corroborates your story when you go on stand. Good job, Harry. Now a few random questions, just to give everyone a whole picture of your lifestyle with Petunia. Is it true that while living at your relatives, your bedroom was a cupboard?”

               “Yeah.”

               “Had that always been your bedroom?”

               “Yeah.”

               “And now, Wallace could present the picture of that cupboard,” Samuel spoke to Severus again. “A couple more, Harry. Were you ever locked in your bedroom?”

               “Sometimes. But mostly when I was being punished.”

               “What were you punished for?”

               “Not finishing all my chores, being in the way, or making freaky things happen—I mean, not the last one.”

               “Well, you already said it,” Samuel smiled at Harry. “We’re only trying to make this easier on you, okay? And that statement will open up a whole new discussion. No freaky things. Okay?”

               “Okay.”

“A couple more. Is it true that you have asthma?”

               “Yeah.”

               “Try to say “yes,” kiddo, okay? Is it also true that you never had medicine for it until your father took you to the doctor the next day you were in his care?”

               “Yes. I have inhalers I take every day and a nutrient drink too.”

               “Did you attend school everyday while living with your aunt?”

               “No, sometimes I had to stay home to help around the house or chimney sweep.”

               “Is it true that you did not celebrate your birthday while living with your aunt?”

               “Yes.”

               “Is it true you were never given Christmas presents?”

               “Yes. But Aunt Petunia said she couldn’t afford presents for both me and Dudley. I was taking money from her Dudders.”

               “How so?”

               “I don’t know. But I’m not her real kid. I’m just her nephew.”

               “I see. No further questions.” Samuel gave Harry a chocolate frog with a wink and walked back to the table where Severus sat, picking up a paper that had been writing down all the questions and answers during that time.

               “I’m all done?” Harry asked as he started to stand up, clutching his candy.  

               “No, not yet,” Samuel said. “When Wallace is done, Petunia’s lawyer will ask you questions next.”

               “Oh,” Harry said, sitting back down slowly. He set his chocolate down to the side, staring at it longingly. He never had chocolate candy, especially shaped like a frog before. He had been hoping Severus would let him try it, but they weren’t even done with the questions.

               “These ones won’t be as easy, Harry, so work with me here, and try to stay calm and answer honestly, okay?”

               “Okay.”

               Samuel looked at Severus, and they stared at each other for a few seconds before Severus nodded his head, though he didn’t seem like he really wanted to go through with this part.

               Samuel walked back to Harry slowly, reading through what was already discussed.

               “You said that at three pm on January fifteenth, you fell in the fireplace, hit your head, and then ended up somewhere else? Well, how did you get there?”

               “I don’t remember,” Harry said, as he had been told to say if he did not recall something, did not know the answer, or in this case, for the chimney explanation.

               “At this point,” Samuel said, speaking to both Severus and Hary “any speculation as to how Harry left the house is just that, speculation, and can be objected. The judge will take into account that Harry is a child and may have suffered a concussion, which Healer Villin will testify to, so any pushing on what happened between that moment and when you found him should hopefully be swept under the rug without too much pushing. All you have to do Harry, is keep saying you don’t remember.”

               “Okay.”

               “Is it true that you helped your Aunt Petunia clean the chimney together the first few times, and then took it upon yourself to keep it clean?”

               “Yes.”

               “So you were not forced to do the clean the chimney?”

               “No, but she . . .”

               “Is it true that you have always been a light eater?”

               Harry paused, looking between Severus and Samuel. He hadn’t even finished answering the last question. When Samuel repeated the question, Harry shrugged.

               “A verbal answer, please. You don’t eat much at meals do you?”

               “No.”

               “Is it true that Petunia did in fact offer you food and you would refuse to eat?”

               Harry thought about that question. There were days he just wasn’t feeling well and the smell of food only made him feel more nauseous, so he would not eat the usual breakfast Petunia had for him. He figured it was true.

               “Yes.”

               “So Petunia did not starve you, but tried to make sure you were well fed, but like most children, you decide when you want to eat and refuse sometimes, is that true?”

               “Yes.”  

               “Same with school,” Samuel said. “Some days you would refuse to go to school, is that true?”

               Those days were rare, and those were the days Petunia forced him to go anyway, but Harry agreed.

               “So, it is true that Petunia was taking appropriate care of you, maybe even spoiling you and letting you get away with many things, is that true?”

               Harry thought about that really hard for a moment before frowning and saying, “Yeah, but she didn’t spoil me like Dudley. He got everything he wanted.”

               “Yes!” Samuel exclaimed, clapping his hands once. “Beautiful answer. Severus, your kid is going to be fine, he’s an expert!”

               “Really?” Harry asked.

               “Really. I don’t think I could have come up with a better answer for that situation myself.” Samuel helped Harry down from the witness stand and waved his wand to restore everything back to normal.

Severus remained sitting on what turned back into the armchair. He was surprised Harry didn’t simply agree with Samuel and fall into a praise Petunia moment. Harry walked over to him, holding out the chocolate candy questionably to him. Severus took it from him to tear it open for Harry. He paused when Samuel paused at the side of the armchair.

“I’ll keep thinking up counterarguments, but I don’t think we’ll have much problem on the stand with Harry. Keep working with him on answering certain questions, but honestly, he’s up for the trial date.”

“Thank you for your help,” Severus said. “We’ll keep at it.”

His attention was pulled from Samuel when Harry tapped his arm and pointed at the chocolate frog.

“Are you ready to catch?” Severus asked him.

“Catch what? The chocolate?” Harry asked.

“This is a magical candy. It hops.” Severus opened the package and the frog leaped out.

Harry squealed and raised his hands as it leaped right for his face but missed it and the candy fell to the floor, hopping away. Harry chased after it, laughing.

“Five second rule,” Addie said, smiling as she watched Harry.

“I got it!” Harry cried, holding up the frog. He frowned when it suddenly stopped moving. “Is it dead?”

“No,” Severus chuckled. “The spell wore off. You may eat it now.”

Harry stared at it a moment longer before slowly taking a small bite out of its head. He chewed inquisitively then smiled and took another bite.

“I think someone likes it,” Samuel said from behind the armchair Severus sat in. He lightly punched Severus’s shoulder. “Wait till the sugar rush kicks in.”

“I prefer the sugar crash,” Severus said.

With practice for the trial out of the way, Severus felt a little more at ease with the upcoming court date. He only hoped there would be no more surprises in the upcoming days.     

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Short but has important information for future chapters
That Time of Month by krosi

The rest of the week went smoothly for the Snape family, and Harry was beginning to grasp basic reading skills, quickly catching up to his peers at school. Throughout the week, Severus had Harry practice his questions for the trial twice simply by asking at random to see how well Harry knew how he was supposed to respond. Harry was getting better at taking his medicine and drinking his potion when it was needed, and Severus was beginning to feel that Harry was transitioning well to being a permanent member of his family. Hopefully, attending the trial didn’t set Harry backward.

               Iris, however, was having a miserable week, and Severus didn’t quite understand why. She seemed to take a lot of her attitude out on Harry lately, and he had assumed that she was becoming jealous of the attention Harry was receiving. She was constantly correcting and arguing with Harry on every little subject she could, such as when homework needed to be done, how long a bath should be, when bedtime was, and even how their day at school went. Severus always figured the last question was subjective, but who was he to argue with a six-year-old. Severus tried talking to her about how she was feeling with Harry as a new addition to the family, but those discussions didn’t seem to get him anywhere. In the end, he would just tell her to drop her attitude and leave it at that.

               He didn’t really connect he dots until toward the end of the week, when he had been practicing his reading with Iris.

               “No, I only disss-trib-bute,” Iris said, slowly working out the word on the page of Charlotte’s Web, by E. B. White.

               “Very good,” Severus encouraged her.

               “. . . distribute pigs to early risers,” Iris continued. “. . . said Mr. Arable. “Fern was up at daylight, trying to rid the world of innn-juss—”

               “Injustice,” Harry said as he paused in front of the armchair where Iris was sitting on Severus’s lap.

Iris huffed and pulled the book out of Harry’s sight.

“I was getting there,” Iris said. “Go away. You read with Dad when I’m done.”

“Sorry,” Harry said, looking down.

“Iris,” Severus chided, “he was just trying to help. We’re almost done with this chapter, then we’ll take a break. Harry, why don’t you pick out a book for us while I finish with Iris?”

“I don’t want to read anymore,” Iris said, closing the book.

“You’ve been wanting to read this book for a while now,” Severus said, “Let’s at least finish chapter one.”

“You always forget!” Iris shouted as she pushed the book away and slid off her father’s lap, running out the room and down the hall.

“Iris!” Severus called after her, standing up. He paused to look at Harry. “Wait here, I’ll be right back.”

Harry nodded. Severus followed after his daughter, moving down the hall to her bedroom. He went to open the door, but found it locked. Knowing there were no locks on the door, he figured Iris had used accidental magic to keep it shut.

“Iris, let me in, please,” Severus tried.

“Go away,” Iris yelled.

“Honey, talk to me. What did I forget?”

He was met with silence, then Iris pushed her puppy calendar out from under the door. Severus picked it up, looking at the date marked in red. He closed his eyes and shook his head. How could he have forgotten? Every time, too. She would tell him the next date after each one, yet it seemed like too little time had passed until a month was up, and it was easy for him to think that not enough time had passed, but Iris was clearly keeping track of the days.

“I see.” Severus said. “It’s that time of month, isn’t it?”

At least he knew why Iris had been so moody lately. He needed to keep better track of the dates himself. He kept telling himself he would do better, but then Harry had shown up and he had been so caught up getting to know his son and getting him caught up in school, the dates had once again slipped his mind.

Time for Dahlia’s weekend with Iris.

 

The next day, after school, Dahlia Flater was punctual to Severus’s house at four in the afternoon, pulling up into his driveway behind his Ford Escort. She stepped out of her rather beat up 1970 Morris Minor, dressed in what appeared to be a brand new silky green winter robe. Severus quirked a brow at her as she smiled and held her arms open for Iris.

“My baby girl!” Dahlia cooed while Iris trotted up to her mother, wrapping her arms around her.

“Hi, mum,” Iris said before pulling back and adjusting her backpack over her shoulders.

“Severus,” Dahlia greeted her ex as he strolled up to them.

“What in Merlin’s name are you wearing?” Severus said.

“Do you like?” Dahlia said, twirling around in the expensive wear. She reminded Severus so much of Iris doing so, with her matching red hair and brown eyes. “Jason bought it for me.”

“And who is Jason?”

“He also goes by Healer Lee.”

“A healer, now?” Severus smirked. He glanced at her car. “What, he couldn’t upgrade your car, too?”

“You know, he’s a real gentleman,” Dahlia said. “He’s been nothing but courteous to me, and he knows how to treat a lady well. I will not stop him from spoiling me if that is what he wishes to do.”

“You mean until you get bored of him and move on to the next?” Severus said in a bored tone.

“Oh, don’t start again! You did the same thing with my ex. You always assume the worst of me—this is why we never worked.”

“That is not why, but that is not a discussion to have at this moment. Iris packed a few of her personal care items as well as some of her favorite snacks. Try not to spoil her meals with candy and sugar. And remember to drop Iris off at her school on Monday, not at the house.”

“That was one time, Severus,” Dahlia said with an affronted glare. “Stop holding it against me.”

“Can we go, now, mum?” Iris asked, a small pout on her face.

“Of course, sweetie,” Dahlia said. She opened the door for Iris. “Hop in, dear.”

Iris did as she was told, and Dahlia closed the door for her. Before getting in herself, Dahlia turned back to Severus.

“Is that Harry over there?” she asked, looking past Severus to the little boy sitting on the first step leading to the house.

“Yes.” Severus answered without even a glance backwards.

“I’ve read the paper on his case. Poor baby.” Dahlia made a pouty face in Harry’s direction. “He’s always welcome to join Iris on our visits if you think he’d like a stepmum.”

“That won’t be necessary.” Severus shook his head at the very thought of that absurd idea. He watched Dahlia shrug and climb back into the car. “Drive safely. Goodbye, Iris. Be good for mum.”

“Bye, Daddy,” Iris said, waving back.

Severus watched the Morris Minor chug down the driveway and down the street until it vanished beyond the horizon. He sighed heavily, then glanced back at Harry. He smiled.

“Looks like it’s just you and me, kiddo,” Severus said. He walked back over to his son and picked up his discarded backpack. “Let’s take a look at your assignment book for the weekend.”

 

               Iris excitedly ran into Twilfitt and Tatting’s clothing store in Diagon Alley. She had never been in this particular store, and she couldn’t wait to try on new dress robes. Dahlia proudly walked in after her, clutching an emerald satchel that matched her robe. She watched her daughter run from one rack to the next, admiring the fashionable attire longingly.

               “Okay, dear,” Dahlia began, “we have enough for one new dress robe and accessories. Choose wisely.”

               So, Iris began modeling several dress robes for her mother, from long, silky ones to elegant flowy ones that she could twirl in for hours. Dahlia helped her find a correct size in different styles, as well as making any adjustments on the dress so Iris could decide if it was the one for her or not. Finally, Iris fell in love with a short ruby winter robe, and Dahlia was quick to find black leggings and shoes to go with it. Iris wore her new outfit out of the store, holding her mother’s hand and skipping at her side while they explored the many stalls set up that day. Dahlia treated her to ice cream, and while passing a stall with jewelry, Dahlia gasped excitedly.

               “Iris, you could get your ears pierced,” she told her daughter. “This nice lady says she could do it for a bargain.”

               “Is it gonna hurt?” Iris asked, staring nervously at the needles the piercer lady was holding.

               “You won’t feel a thing,” the woman said with a thick Scottish accent. “I’ve got a potion to numb your ears.”

               “Oh, you would look so cute with peridot earrings,” Dahlia said, picking up the little gemstones in question. She held them out to Iris. “It is your birthstone. It’s supposed to protect you from nightmares if you wear them.”

               “Really?” Iris said. She looked at the pretty silver earrings her mother was wearing, then back down at the olive-green gemstones on the tiny stud earrings in her mother’s hand. “If I do it, can I have these ones?”

               “Of course!” Dahlia said. She helped her daughter up onto the chair and held her hands as the piecer applied the numbing potion on her ears.

               “Now hold very still,” the lady said.

               “Look at me, dear,” Dahlia encouraged when Iris glanced at the piercer with wide eyes as she picked up the needles. Iris stared at her mother, taking a couple deep breaths.

               With practiced ease, the piercer used her wand to drive two needles through both of Iris’s lobes at the same time, then flicked her wand at the earrings which settled nicely in place. After a muttered healing charm, the piercer handed Iris a mirror. Iris smiled at her ears, turning her head this way and that to see the new gems.

               “Do you like them?” Dahlia asked, smiling at her daughter as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

               Iris nodded, looking at her ears one last time before giving the mirror back to the piercer.

               Dahlia paid the lady and took Iris’s hand once more.

               “Now, no one will be able to tell us apart,” she said to Iris, who smirked up at her.

               Not long after Iris had her ear’s pierced, Dahlia drove to Jason Lee’s flat in London rather than her house in a small town nearly forty minutes away from Lee’s. Iris had never been to the flat, and she was amazed at how fancy everything was, from the large, modern kitchen to the sweet leather chairs and sofa. Even the bathroom had a huge tub that could fit five people in it, and she decided she was taking a bath later that night. Dahlia showed her to one of the three bedrooms where she would be staying for the weekend. There was a queen-sized bed that Iris plopped herself down on, staring up at the motionless ceiling fan.

               As it was getting late, Dahlia whipped up a quick dinner of shepherd’s pie, and they were the only two eating at the table. Iris took a glorious bubble bath afterward, where mountains of bubbles surrounded her, and she pretended she was climbing Mount Everest until an avalanche buried her. Dahlia came to her rescue and dug her out.

               Finally, it was bedtime, which turned into a long pillow fight before Iris felt tired enough to lie down and allow her mother to cover her up in her blankets. She feel asleep quickly, exhausted from her busy afternoon.

               The next day came quickly, and Dahlia invited a few of her girlfriends over to hand out at Lee’s place. Dahlia had told everyone that Lee had given her permission to do so and was ordering lunch for everyone while he was at work. Iris had yet to meet the man. He had to have come home very late then left early in the morning while she slept the whole time.

               When five of Dahlia’s friends arrived, Iris was quickly included in their tea party. The ladies were first given a tour and awed at the flat before settling in the living space with tea to do nails and hair. One girl worked on Iris’s hair while Dahlia painted Iris’s nails a light pink with tiny white flowers on each one at Iris’s request. Iris didn’t bother trying to learn everyone’s names, she knew she would forget soon enough, and she would probably see a new set of friends the next time she saw her mother. The only consistent one seemed to be Amber, who was currently zipper braiding her hair in a half updo style.

               “I just love her hair,” Amber, a petite blonde, said while she made a small accent braid to the side of Iris’s zipper braid. “I feel like I haven’t seen you in ages, Iris, you are growing so fast.”

               “She looks so much like you,” another girl said. “She is so cute.”

               “She’s my pride and joy,” Dahlia said with a smile to her daughter.

               Iris smiled back. Dahlia blew on her nails to dry the ones that were done before moving to her next fingernail.

               “I can’t imagine how awful it must have been to lose the custody battle,” another lady, an older brunette, said. “What happened to the tender years doctrine?”

               “Yes, a woman always has first rights to her child,” another girl spoke up.  

               “Well,” Dahlia started in a big voice, “Severus’s lawyer made the whole courtroom think I was an unfit, unstable parent to my child.”

               “No.”

               “Yes! He slandered my name—oh, it was so painful, I can’t even think back to it. I’m lucky I even get a weekend with Iris. It’s not enough time, personally. She’s growing up so fast, and I’m missing so much of her life. Aren’t I, Iris?”

               Iris wasn’t sure how to respond, so she simply nodded in agreement.

               The door to the flat opened then, and a tall man with lush, lode gold hair perfectly groomed moved gracefully through the flat, a beautiful bouquet of flowers in his hands. He wore a white Healer robe that contrasted against his bronze skin. He paused behind Dahlia, resting a hand on her shoulder.

               “I managed to escape during my lunch break to bring you these, my love,” the man said.

               Dahlia touched a hand to her chest and made a face that clearly said, “aww.” The girls around her awed aloud for her.

               “Thank you, that’s so sweet of you. I have left over shepherd’s pie you should take for lunch before you go back to work.” Dahlia stood up and accepted the flowers, breathing in their subtly sweet smell, reminding her of a summer wine she once enjoyed.

               “This must be your daughter,” the man said, smiling at Iris. Iris nodded her head, though she didn’t move from where she sat. “My name is Jason Lee. It is pleasure to meet you. Your mother has told me a lot about you.”

               “It’s nice to meet you, too.” Iris accepted the man’s outstretched hand and shook it.

               “You look just like her.”

               “I know. I get that a lot.”

               Lee smiled at her, then followed Dahlia to the kitchen. The girls giggled among themselves as they talked about what assets they liked the most on Jason Lee.

               After the Healer had rushed back to work on emergency call, the girls returned to chatting and gossiping about anything that Iris quickly grew bored of. She retreated to her bedroom and played with her doll for a bit, making sure she was changed and fed and settled down for a nap. She ate one of her cracker snacks and decided to work on her homework, something she knew her father would want her to do. The day passed quickly, and Iris wondered when dinner would be ready. She had managed to complete most of her homework, and her stomach growled hungrily.

               “Mum?” she called, stepping out of her bedroom and into the living room.

               All the girls were gone, and Dahlia was on the phone talking to one of the many people Iris was sure they had gossiped about. Iris stepped closer, trying not to be rude by interrupting her mother’s conversation, but also wanting something to silence her growling stomach.

               “Mummy,” Iris tried, tapping her mother on the shoulder.

               “One moment please,” Dahlia said into the phone. She pulled it away and held a hand over the speaker portion of the corded phone. “What is it?”

               “I’m hungry,” Iris said. “What’s for dinner?”

               “There’s left over shepherd’s pie in the blue container in the fridge,” Dahlia said, “go eat some of that.”

               “But we had that yesterday.”

               “So? It needs to be eaten up before I make something new. Mum is on the phone, right now. Let me finish this conversation, okay? Then we can talk.”

               Without waiting for a response from Iris, Dahlia raised the phone back up to her ear.

               “You still there?” She paused. “Sorry, my daughter needed something. No, I don’t need to hang up, it’s all sorted out, but thank you for your concern. That’s so touching.”

               Iris sighed as she shuffled away. She found the container with the shepherd’s pie, then searched the kitchen for bowls, cups, plates, and silverware, but only managed to find the latter. Looking up, she could see what looked suspiciously like plates and bowls in a cupboard way above her head. She really wanted to climb up the counters, but she also didn’t want to get caught by Lee should he happen to reappear at any moment. He wasn’t sure what he might think of a little girl crawling around his counterspace.

               Not knowing what else to do as her stomach growled once more, Iris used her fork to eat the cold shepherd’s pie out of the container. When she was satisfied, she put the dish back and dropped the fork in the sink.  She moved out of the kitchen and back to her room. She did her nightly routine and prepared for bed, pausing in the bathroom to stare at her ears in the mirror. She did like how the gems gleamed, and she wondered what her daddy might think of them. She smiled and ran out of the bathroom, jumping in the bed and then waited for her mother to get off the phone so she could ask to read with her. She had packed her Charlotte’s Web book and had hoped to get in another chapter or two that weekend. She tried to be patient for her mother to finish up, but when it sounded like Dahlia was done talking, she would start back up with someone new on the other line.

               When another conversation started up, Iris picked up her doll and her book and shuffled out to the living room once more. She paused in front of her mother, tapping her shoulder once more. Dahlia sighed and pulled the phone away from her ear.

               “What is it now?” Dahlia asked.

               “Can you come read with me? I brought Charlotte’s Web.”

               “Aw, I used to love that book when I was a little girl.”

               “Really?” Iris asked hopefully.

               “It was one of my favorites.” She smirked at her daughter. “You’ve got good taste. I wonder where you get it from?”

               Iris laughed, then held the book out.

               “Do you want to read with me?”

               “Maybe another time, sweetie,” Dahlia said. “I’m on the phone right now. Okay?”

               “Oh.” Iris lowered the book and adjusted her doll in her arms. “Okay.”

               Dahlia narrowed her eyes at the doll.

               “Aren’t you getting a bit old for security toys?”

               “You mean Honey?” Iris said, hugging her doll to her chest protectively. She shook her head. “No.”

               Dahlia hmphed at that, then turned back to her phone call.

               “Still there?” A pause. “Oh, no, no. Nothing important, I just had to take care of something real quick, let’s get back to you . . .”

               Once again, Iris shuffled away from her mother, then stomped over to her bed and threw her doll and book across it. She plopped down on the bed with her arms crossed, tears welling in her eyes. After a moment, she reached across the bed, gathered Honey in her arms, and squeezed the doll to her chest, closing her eyes tightly. She stretched out on the bed toward the book, her doll tucked at her side. She opened to the second chapter, and in a small whisper, read:

               “Fern loved Wilbur more than anything. She loved to stroke him, to feed him, to put him to bed . . .”     

 

               Meanwhile, back at Snape Manor, Severus was lying down next to Harry in the boy’s bed, working on his reading with the book Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel. Harry was under the covers, while Severus was lying on top of them, looking down at the pages as Harry read on. Harry had really improved in his reading skills, and Severus was impressed with how well Harry was doing after just a couple weeks. He smiled as Harry made it toward the end of the book.

               “So the toad went to bed and the frog got up and told him a story,” Harry read, “the end. How was that Toad? But Toad did not annn-ssswwwuu—”

               “Answer,” Severus corrected.

               “Answer,” Harry repeated. He finished the chapter. “He had fallen asleep.”

               “Very good, Harry,” Severus praised, ruffling Harry’s hair. “You are doing so well, I’m very proud of your progress so far.”

               Harry smiled up at Severus. Before he could say anything, the doorbell rang. Severus frowned.

               “Now who on earth would be knocking at this hour?”

               “Do you want me to answer it for you?”               

               “No. You stay in bed.” Severus kissed Harry’s temple. “And go to sleep. Goodnight.”

               “Night, Daddy. “

               Severus stood up from the bed and moved quickly down the stairs as the bell rang three times more.

               “All right!” Severus shouted. He muttered about impatience and swung the door open, ready to give the rude guest a piece of his mind. His eyes widened when he saw who was standing on the other side of the door.

               “Black?” Severus snapped.

               “Where’s my godson?” Sirius Black demanded.

               “What in Merlin’s name are you doing here?”

               “I’ve come for Harry,” Sirius said, pushing his way into the house and looking around. “I’ll take him off your hands for you.”

               “Absolutely not!” Severus said, shutting the door behind them. “You cannot just waltz in here and demand to take Harry from me. Who the hell do you think you are?”

               “He’s my godson, too!” Sirius shouted, glaring at Severus.

               “And he’s my son.”

               “Like you ever cared. How could you let those horrible muggles take Harry? How did you not know he was suffering? You let this happen to him!”

               “Do not speak of things you know little of,” Severus snapped, pointing an accusatory finger at Sirius. “And if you were so against it, why didn’t you step up and offer to take him in for a while?”

               “I was hunting that traitor who murdered my friends,” Sirius defended himself. “And what were you doing that you couldn’t take in your own son? Sleeping with that whore?”

               “Watch your mouth in this house!” Severus seethed for a moment as he took a deep breath, trying to reign his temper in. And here he thought he had been rid of Sirius Black for good. While they had found a truce for the sake of their shared relationship between Lily, and then Harry, they had never been on friend terms. This was the first he had seen Sirius since the day before the Potters’ murder. Severus sighed and asked, “And where have you been all this time?”

               “That is none of your concern.”

               “Oh, but I have to answer to all of your questions?”

               “Harry,” Sirius whispered, looking past Severus.

               Severus snapped his head around to see Harry slowly tiptoeing down the stairway, his face a bit apprehensive. He looked between Severus and Sirius.

               “Harry,” Sirius said louder, moving around Severus and toward the child with open arms to engulf him in. He was surprised when Harry darted away from him and ran to Severus, peeking out at Sirius from behind Severus’s legs.

               Severus couldn’t help the smug look he threw Sirius’s way.

               “Harry,” Sirius tried again in a softer voice, one that sounded a bit devastated that Harry was afraid of him, “it’s me, your Uncle Sirius. Don’t you remember me?”

               “Why would he remember you, Black?” Severus answered for Harry. “He was a baby when you last saw him.”

               Sirius kneeled on the ground and gave Harry a sad look when Harry shuffled closer to Severus. Severus sighed audibly before reaching back and resting a hand on Harry’s head. Harry glanced up at him.

               “It’s okay, Harry,” he told his son. “He is in fact your Uncle Sirius. From a long time ago. Go say hello. Go on.”

               With an encouraging push forward, Severus managed to pull Harry around him and send him Sirius’s way. Harry looked back at Severus then slowly walked toward Sirius. He paused a foot away from the strange man and gave a soft, “Hi.”

               “Hi, Harry.” Sirius smiled at him but didn’t move any closer. “You know, you used to call me Si-us. You had a lot of trouble with three syllable names. Your father would always keel over laughing.”

               “Daddy?” Harry asked, pointing back at Severus.

               Sirius froze for a moment, then shook his head sadly.

               “No, your other father.”

               “Oh.” Harry said, frowning slightly. “James?”

               Sirius’s eyes fell to the floor. “You used to call him Daddy.”

               “Oh,” Harry said, scratching his head as he tried to think of what to say now. He looked back at Severus, who thankfully came to his aid, stepping closer and resting a hand on the small of his back.

               “Go back up to bed,” Severus said. “It’s getting late, way past your bedtime.”

               “Okay, Daddy. Night. Night, Uncle Sirius.”

               “Goodnight, Harry,” Severus said.

               Sirius did not reply. He watched Harry head back up the stairs with a distant stare before he stood back up.

               “He didn’t even know me,” Sirius said. “And he doesn’t remember his father.”

               “Or Lily,” Severus added. “He was just a baby when he lost them. When he lost all of us. I’m not losing him again. I will not make that same mistake twice.”

               “Can’t be that much harder the second time, can it?” Sirius glared at him.
               Severus had quite enough of this reunion. He half expected Remus Lupin to invade his house next. He knew he couldn’t deny Sirius or Remus the chance to get to know Harry. The child was as much apart of their lives as he was in Severus’s, and even more importantly, Harry was a link to a lost friend. He would have to make arrangements that included the dog and the wolf, but now was not the time.

               “I suggest,” Severus spoke, “that if you want any role in Harry’s life that you leave my house right now, and floor call me at a later date so we can discuss it like mature adults. Because if you don’t leave this instant, I’ll have aurors physically remove you from here.”

               “I just had to make sure he was okay, all right, Snape?” Sirius said. “I came as soon as I got wind of the news.”

               “You should have called. You’ve confused Harry plenty enough for one night. It’s time you left and we try this again some other time. As much as I hate to say it, Harry will probably want to get to know you.”

               “Isn’t that such a pity?” Sirius smirked.

               “Black,” Snape growled. He pointed at his door. “Leave. Now.”

               “I’ll floo call Monday night, eight pm sharp,” Sirius said.

               “Then it’s settled.”

               Sirius nodded once, flashed a look up the stairway one last time, then left the house, disapparating once he was outside, leaving a rather frustrated Severus behind.

 

               The next day was rather dull for Iris. Dahlia had made pancakes with her for breakfast, then invited her friends back over for a few rounds of muggle cards and tea while they talked once more. Iris was mostly forgotten. She played in her own room silently, only venturing out for a slice of pizza when it was delivered to the girls for lunch. Everyone suddenly remembered Iris and included her in the next round of Karma. Iris caught on fast and surprised everyone with a win, though no one wanted to call her out much anyway.

               Later, when all the girls had left, Jason Lee had returned briefly, and he, Dahlia, and Iris played a game of gobstones while they talked about each other. Iris discovered that Jason Lee was a muggleborn but went on to become a Healer soon after graduating Hogwarts, and he had slowly become one of the best oncology Healers there was, therefore, he was always busy. And to prove his point, his wand vibrated, alerting him that he was needed at the hospital immediately, and he kissed Dahlia before stepping outside of the flat to disapparate.

               Dinner was shepherd’s pie again while Dahlia talked on the phone, and Iris proceeded to prepare for bed. As she was lying down, Dahlia appeared in the doorway.

               “Hey, chickie,” she smiled at her daughter. “It’s our last night together. Did you still want to read together?”

               Iris nodded, a smile spreading across her face. Dahlia moved across the room and settled next to Iris on her bed, waiting for her daughter to grab the book.

               “What do you think of Jason?” Dahlia asked.

               “He’s nice,” was always Iris’s answer. She held the book between them. “Do you want to start?”

               “I can start,” Dahlia said, and she began reading at the start of the second chapter. Iris had fallen asleep while reading last night, so she had wanted to reread the chapter anyway. When Dahlia finished a page, Iris began the next. They were halfway through when Jason appeared in the doorway, knocking softly.

               “I heard you two reading,” he said. “Good book?”

               “One of my childhood favorites,” Dahlia said while Iris nodded. She stood up from the bed. “We were just finishing up though. It’s getting late, Iris, and you have school in the morning. Goodnight, sweetie.”

               Dahlia pulled the blanket higher up on her daughter before kissing her forehead and turning the light out.

               “Night, mum,” Iris said, setting her book down next to her and hugging her doll instead. It was still thirty minutes till her bedtime at home, yet she managed to make herself fall asleep in the too quiet house.

               Monday morning was bittersweet as Iris hugged her mother one last time in front of the school. Her mother had taken the time to help her get ready for school, making sure she had everything, then even French braided her hair.

               “Goodbye, love,” Dahlia said. “I really love spending time with you. I’m going to miss you.”

               “I’ll miss you, too.”

               “I’ll see you again the second weekend of next month,” Dahlia said, and Iris made a mental note to mark the day in her calendar. “It can’t be the first this time because Jason has something planned that weekend for just us two. I think he’d make a great stepfather if this all works out, don’t you think?”

               “Sure, mum,” Iris always agreed.  

               Dahlia smiled at her daughter, fixing a lose strand of her hair.

               “Love you, have a good day at school.”

               “Love you, too. Bye.”

               Iris ran for the school in hopes to make it to class before the bell.

              

               Severus stood outside the school, leaning against his car as he waited. While Addie usually picked up the kids for him, he cancelled his afternoon class to pick them up today himself. It had been too long since he had last seen Iris, and he had always made a point to see her as soon as possible after her visits with Dahlia.

               The bell rang and after a few seconds, the kids started pouring out, He didn’t have to wait long until he saw Iris come bolting out of the doors, running straight for his open arms. He caught her and lifted her into a strong embrace which she returned with equal strength.

Harry paused in front of them, waiting patiently.

“How was your visit, honey?” Severus asked after a minute.

“It was okay,” Iris answered with a shrug. “I missed you.”

“I missed you, too. Very much.” Severus kissed her cheek, pausing to note her pierced ears. "You got your ears pierced?" Iris nodded, and Severus quirked a brow before setting her down and ruffling Harry’s hair, pulling him into a quick hug as well.

“I’ve not forgotten about you,” he said. “How was school?”

“It was fun,” Harry said. “I missed you, too, Iris.”

Iris hugged her brother, who was surprised at first, but returned the hug.

“Me too.” Iris said.

 

To be continued...
How Rainbows are Made by krosi

Severus kneeled in front of the fireplace as he listened to Sirius’s fiery head blather on about the days he was available and could potentially take Harry for a night or two to visit. Severus wasn’t completely sure that visiting was an option right now, as Harry was still coming to terms with his new life at the Snape house, but he was sure Sirius visiting a couple times within the month would help Harry get to know his uncle better before any other overnight visits became a thing. Besides, Severus wasn’t quite ready to let Harry out of his sight quite yet, save for school hours.

               “So,” Sirius continued, trying his best to sound courteous the whole time, “which days do you think will work best for you?”

               “The ones that aren’t school days,” Severus said, frowning at the calendar in his hands then at Sirius. All the days Sirius had mentioned were during the school week, save for two in the next upcoming month. He used a quill to draw a question mark on those two days with the initials SB next to those marks. 

               “Right,” Sirius frowned. “Forgot about muggle school. I guess that leaves the two Saturdays . . . next month.”

               “I think that’s for the best,” Severus said, picking up on Sirius’s annoyed tone. He shifted so he was now sitting in front of the fireplace as his knees were starting to hurt from the kneeling. “Harry is still settling in here and trying to learn every name and face of his new family. You are just one more extension for him to adjust to and include in his life. He needs time to process all of this. And with the trial tomorrow, he doesn’t need more distractions.”

               “You better win this for him,” Sirius said. “That bitch has to pay for what she did to Harry. James would have hexed her to the moon if he knew. And Lily—” there was a pause as Sirius sighed. “She’d be so disappointed.”

               “Agreed,” Severus said with a heavy sigh of his own. “Have no fear, my lawyer is rather confident in our chances. Petunia will pay for what she did.”

               “She better, or I’ll be paying her a visit myself.”  

               Before Severus could comment on that, a stringy, colorful substance began raining down on him while child laughter filled the air. He jerked his head away from the onslaught, realizing the substance was silly string, and he shook it off his head and shoulders. He looked up at his two kids giggling, cans of silly string at the ready to spray him again.

               Sirius’s head in the fireplace laughed.

               “I guess I’ll leave you to deal with your pranksters,” Sirius said, smirking. “I think Harry and I will get along just fine.”

               “That’s what I’m afraid of,” Severus muttered as Sirius’s head disappeared. He was hit with more silly string from Iris, and he stood up, brushing the string off himself as he did so.

               “You little brats!” Severus said, chasing after them when they ran from the living room and back up the stairs. “I thought you were painting Harry’s bedroom!”

               Severus followed them into Harry’s bedroom, where the two sprayed more silly string at him, making a mess all over the floor.

               “Will you stop that?” Severus said, snatching the can from Iris and tossing it aside. Then he grabbed Iris and pinned her against him so he could tickle her.

               “Harry, help me!” Iris squealed, reaching for her brother while struggling in her father’s arms.

               Harry charged forward, throwing the can aside and grabbing Iris’s outstretched hand before trying to pull her from Severus’s grasp. Severus kept one hand on Iris to keep her trapped, then used his free hand to grab Harry’s arm and pull his son in close, trapping the child against him. He tickled them both mercilessly.

               “Now what are you going to do?” Severus asked.

               Harry and Iris shared a look. They smiled, then screamed, “Addie!”

               “Addie?” Severus frowned. “What do you think she will do, you little traitors? And where on earth did you get the silly string from?”

               “Ruth gave me a couple cans,” Iris confessed, smiling at her father. “Her dad bought them for her, but don’t tell Tori.”

               “Samuel is a very bad influence on you children.” Severus said, swinging his kids slightly.

               “What’s going on?” Addie cried as she appeared in the doorway, her yellow gloves still on her hand from washing dishes and her grey hair pulled up in a messy bun. “Is everyone all right—oh.” Addie smiled at Severus and the kids as she realized there was no trouble, and she rested her hands on her hips. “Do you need help whooping the kids, Severus?”

               “I always need help whooping the kids,” Severus said, smirking down at his children.

               “Let me get my gloves off,” Addie said, pulling off her gloves and sending them flying to the kitchen. “Who’s first?”

               “You can’t whoop me,” Iris said indignantly. “I’m an angel.”

               “That’s a bold-faced lie,” Severus said. He released Harry and lifted Iris in his arms bridal style. “This one first.”

               “No!” Iris screamed, kicking futilely. She burst into laughter when Addie ran into the room and tickled her while Severus kept her from escaping. “Run, Harry, run!”

               Harry ran out of his bedroom laughing. He ran down the hall, down the stairs, through the living room, and into his father’s study, shutting the door until it was slightly ajar, and he peeked out of the crack. A smile stretched across his face as he waited expectantly.

               “Hoo,” a sound came from behind him.

               Harry turned around, staring at the eagle owl that was hopping along its perch curiously, tilting his head at Harry. Harry had grown comfortable with the large owl’s presence and would often stroke the bird gently and offer treats, which was unlike Iris’s rough love for the bird. Tum had seemed apprehensive with the addition of another kid, but Harry’s gentle treatment had the bird eating out of Harry’s palm in no time.  

               “Hoo,” Tum repeated.

               “Shh!” Harry shushed the owl, still smiling at Tum.

               The owl tilted his head more, staring intently at Harry.

               Suddenly, the door opened, and Harry shrieked as he was thrown into the air, then laughed as Addie tickled his ribs while Severus held him captive in his arms. However, a few seconds in, Harry started coughing, and the tickling stopped, and Severus held Harry upright on his hip, patting his back. It took a minute before Harry caught his breath, and Severus gave him an apologetic look.

               “Are you all right, son?” Severus asked.

               “I’m okay,” Harry said, rubbing his teary eyes.

               “Sorry, Harry,” Addie said, “we got a bit caught up in the moment.”

               “I think it’s almost bedtime anyway,” Severus said. He set Harry down and placed a hand on his back, guiding the child out of his study. “Thank you for your help tonight, Addie. With the trial tomorrow and Harry needing . . .”

               “Oh, stop it,” Addie said, waving her hand at Severus dismissively. “As I’ve said before, I’m always here to help.”

               Severus offered a small smile to Addie before wishing her goodnight and leading Harry upstairs and back to the boy’s bedroom, where Iris was staring at a side wall studying the pictures she and Harry had created with the magic paintbrushes. The trick to the brush was to imagine what you wanted to paint on the wall, then the paintbrush created the image for you when you brushed it along the wall. Severus had allowed Iris to use the method to paint her own room last year, which was mostly pink with butterflies and unicorns here and there. It appeared that she tried to transfer her bedroom over to Harry’s if Severus was to go off the butterflies on Harry’s blue walls, which were surrounded by small angry dinosaurs and crocodiles that threatened to swallow the insects.

               “I see you two had fun painting the walls,” Severus said.

               “He keeps trying to eat my paintings,” Iris said, pointing an accusatory finger at Harry.

               “I told her I didn’t want butterflies on my walls,” Harry said, pouting slightly.

               “It is his room, Iris,” Severus said, pulling out his wand. He vanished the butterflies, much to Iris’s disappointment, then used his wand to enlarge the cartoonish dinosaurs and crocodiles so they took up a bit more of Harry’s wall. Harry smiled proudly at his work while Iris pouted. Severus swished his wand at the silly string all over the floor and it vanished, along with the near empty cans.  

               “Okay, you two, time for bed. It is way past your bedtime.”

               “By like ten minutes,” Iris argued.

               “Regardless, it is late,” Severus said. He rested a hand on Iris’s shoulder and led her out of the bedroom. “Get ready for bed, Harry.”

               Harry waited until Severus and Iris were out of his room before he dressed into his pajamas. He padded out of his bedroom once he was changed and headed into the bathroom to brush his teeth, joining Iris. They finished at the same time then both ran to their bedroom and jumping in bed, calling their father at the same time. Severus smiled in the middle of the hallway, wondering how he would go about this.

               “Oldest first tonight,” he announced. He headed to Harry’s room, ignoring Iris’s muttering of unfairness.

               Harry seemed happy to be tucked in first, and he grinned at Severus as he sat patiently on his bed.

               “You couldn’t even get under the covers?” Severus asked as he pulled back the blanket.

               Harry crawled under them and allowed his father to tuck him in snugly. Severus sat on the edge of Harry’s bed, reaching across to grab Spikes and hand the stuffed toy to Harry, who hugged it close.

               “All settled?” Severus asked.

               Harry nodded with a smile.

               “Good. Did you take your medicine?”

               “No. I forgot.” Harry reached for the inhaler resting on the nightstand next to his bed and took a puff of his medicine. He set the inhaler back down then settled back into bed, allowing Severus to readjust the blankets and remove his glasses from his face. Severus folded the spectacles and set them on the nightstand.

               “Good boy,” Severus said before leaning down and giving his son a quick peck. “Goodnight, son. Stay in bed tonight.”

               “Yes, Daddy.”

               Severus turned the lights off and moved down the hall to Iris’s room. He smirked when he saw the lights were out, but a light was visible under her blanket. Having caught her in this position before, Severus moved through the dark room and pulled the blanket off his daughter, revealing her with a flashlight shining down on her Charlotte’s Web book. She gave her father a guilty smile.

               “Did you think that because your light was off, I wouldn’t come in to say goodnight?” Severus asked, taking the book and flashlight from his daughter. He set the book on her stand but held on to the flashlight so he could see Iris.

               “What if I was sleeping?” Iris asked, leaning back in her pillows.

               “I would still come give you your goodnight kiss,” Severus said, leaning down to do just that. He lifted the flashlight so he could see her face and peered closely at her ears. “How are your ears?”

               Iris reached up and gently touched her earringless ears. When she had returned home yesterday afternoon, her ears had started to really itch and bug her, and when her father had checked them, her ears were red and swollen. Severus had removed the earrings and applied a healing balm with antibacterial properties and the swelling had gone down, but they still itched some.

               “They’re itchy still,” Iris said, scratching at her ear lobes slightly.

               “Hmm.” Severus summoned a jar of his healing balm and sat next to his daughter. He used a sticking charm on the flashlight to keep it on the headboard of Iris’s bed so he could see what he was doing and opened the jar, then applied a generous amount of the balm to both of Iris’s ear lobes. “Let’s see if another coat takes care of any lingering pain. Next time your mother asks you to have anything on your boy pierced, please say no.”

               “But I wanted my ears pierced,” Iris said. “Mum said it would be all right.”  

               “Your mum and I need to discuss things like that beforehand. And a simple healing charm like the one the piercer used on you does not prevent infection from what could have been nonsterile needles, or dirty earrings. Did anyone at least wash their hands before messing with your ears?”

               “She used magic to do it.”

               “If nothing else, she was definitely an amateur. She should have given you a balm like this for aftercare at the very least. If you want your ears pierced, we can try again in a couple years, okay? And with a certified piercer and the right aftercare.”

               “But I liked them. They’re my birthstones and they’re going to protect me from nightmares.”  

               “You are more than welcome to keep the stones.” Severus helped Iris settled down in her bed and covered her with her blanket. “And you know what else can protect you from nightmares?”

               “What?”

               “Kitty Mitties,” Severus said, grabbing Iris’s stuffed silver kneazle from the end of her bed and holding it out to her. She laughed and squeezed the stuffed cat close. Severus grabbed another one of Iris’s stuffed animals, a long snake. “And Squiggles.”

               Iris accepted the snake and squeezed the toy in her other arm.

               “And Honey!” Iris added.

               “Yes, Honey, too,” Severus said, picking up Iris’s favorite red-headed baby doll. He gave the doll to Iris, who included it in her embrace of the three toys.

               “Are you quite content now?” Severus asked as he adjusted her blanket around her and the toys.

               Iris nodded.

               “Good. Go to sleep. You have school in the morning.”

               Severus kissed his daughter and turned out her lights. He walked out of her bedroom and down the hall toward his own bedroom. He wasn’t tired yet, but he was caught up on all his grading and Addie had taken care of most of the evening chores. For once, he decided he might enjoy some peace and alone time to himself.

               Severus changed into a clean tee and shorts, then scrubbed his face and his teeth. Once he was finished in the bathroom, he dimmed the lights in his room, then settled in bed, grabbing a book he had been wanting to read for a while now, something that wasn’t a potion journal, research article, or a student’s essay. He summoned himself a glass of wine and, leaning back against the headboard, opened his book to the first chapter and took a sip of his wine.

               “Daddy!” a voice screamed for him.  

               Severus sighed, closing his eyes. So close, he thought to himself.

               Standing up, he walked down the hall and back toward Harry’s bedroom. He casted a gentle lumos on his wand and leaned against Harry’s doorframe. Harry blinked at the late, then rubbed his eyes and said, “I need a drink.”

               With a sigh, Severus summoned a glass from the kitchen and used his wand to fill it with water. He walked into Harry’s room and offered Harry the cup.

               “Can I have pumpkin juice?” Harry asked, frowning at the water.

               “Not now, it’s too late for that,” Severus said. “You may have the water, or you may wait until the morning. Those are your options. It is too late for anything sugary.”

               Harry slowly drank the water before giving the empty cup back to Severus. He laid back down with a yawn. Severus sent the cup back to the kitchen before he ran a hand through Harry’s hair soothingly.

               “Go to sleep now,” he said. “You have a busy day tomorrow.”

               Harry closed his eyes, and after a few minutes, Severus left his son’s room and went back to his own bedroom. He settled himself on his bed and picked up his book and his wine glass. He turned back to chapter one and just as he was about to take a sip of his thankfully still cold wine, he heard another cry.

               “Daddy!”

               With a loud sigh, he set his wine down and cast a cooling charm on it. He set his book aside and slid out of bed. This time, he walked down to Iris’s bedroom. Her nightstand lamp was on, and she was sitting up in bed.

               “I can’t sleep,” she said.

               “And why might that be?” Severus asked, moving into the room. “Is there something on your mind?”

               “Not really. I’m just not tired.” Iris yawned.

               “I disagree with that.” Severus sat down next to her. “Have you tried going to sleep?”

               “I did try. I closed my eyes, but nothing happens.”

               Severus quirked a brow at that. He bit back a smirk and instead said, “How about you try closing your eyes again and I’ll rub your back for you?”

               It was something that made baby Iris fall asleep all the time, and the trick still worked, even now. Iris shifted so she was lying on her stomach, and she closed her eyes while Severus gently massaged little circles into the muscles of her back. Iris slowly relaxed and her breathing evened out. After a couple minutes, Severus was sure she was asleep, so he turned off her lamp and quietly left her room, closing her door most of the way, leaving it just slightly ajar. He checked on Harry has he passed his son’s room, and Harry was in bed, his eyes closed. Severus returned to his bed once more.

               Settling down and picking up his book again, he managed a sip of his wine and turned to chapter one.

               “The day broke gray and dull. The clouds hung heavily . . .”

               A loud thud caught Severus’s ears, and he bit back a growl as he slid out of bed once more to investigate the noise. As he left his bedroom, he spotted Harry coming out of the bathroom, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

               “Sorry, Daddy,” Harry said when he spotted his father. “I tripped.”

               “Are you okay?” Severus asked, looking his son up and down.
               “I hit my elbow on the floor,” Harry said, lifting his arm. “It really hurt.”

               Severus kneeled in front of Harry and felt the boy’s arm. It didn’t feel swollen, and his joint worked just fine, but it would probably bruise later. Even if it did, it was hardly something that needed to be treated. He couldn’t possibly go fixing every scrap and bruise his kids earned themselves. He would never have healing salves or bruise balms in store.

               “I think you’ll be okay,” Severus said. “Would you like me to kiss it for future protection?”

               That was something Iris had come up with, and even she still agreed to it now and then. Harry blinked, as if he had never heard of such an absurd idea, then looked at his injured elbow.

               “Does it really work?” Harry asked.

               “Only one way to find out.” Severus gave Harry’s elbow a quick kiss, then led Harry back to his bed and tucked him back in. “Try and get some sleep. You know you get cranky when you don’t sleep well.”

               “I know,” Harry said. “I’ll go to sleep.”

               “Thank you.”

               One of these days, Severus was going to send his kids somewhere far away and take three hours to himself to read and relax. Once again, Severus was on his bed, his legs under the blanket and his back propped up by pillows and the headboard, and he opened his book to chapter one. Taking a generous sip of his wine, he began reading.

               “The day broke gray and dull. The clouds hung heavily, and there was a rawness in the air that suggested snow. A woman servant came into the room in which a child was sleeping . . .”

               “Daddy?”

               Severus startled and looked up to see his daughter standing in the doorway in her purple pajamas and pink slippers.

               “What is it, Iris?” Severus asked.

               “I still can’t sleep,” she whined.

               “Me neither,” Harry said, stepping in sight as well.           

               Severus groaned, dragging his hands down his face. Leaning back, he set his book aside and motioned for his kids to come over to him. They ran over to his bed and climbed in on either side of him. Crawling under the blanket, Harry and Iris snuggled up to his sides and rested their heads against his shoulder when he lowered himself down a bit. He wrapped his arms around his kids.  

               “Is there a reason no one can sleep tonight?” Severus asked. “Something in the air, perhaps?”

               “I’m scared,” Harry admitted, glancing up at father.  

               “Of what?”

               “Tomorrow.”

               “Of the trial tomorrow?” When Harry nodded, Severus rested his head against Harry’s. “It will be okay. I will be there, and Addie will be there with you the whole time. You’ll go on the stand for less than two minutes to answer the questions we’ve been practicing the last couple of weeks. You will be fine.”

               “Everyone is going to be staring at me.”

               “Ignore them. You can look at me instead.”

               “Aunt Petunia will be there for real this time.”

               “Yes, she will be. That can’t be helped.”

               “I don’t want her in trouble because of me.”

               “It won’t be because of you. She made the choice to break the rules, so she now must be punished for it. That is not your fault.”

               “I still don’t like it. Do I have to go?”

               “Yes, Harry. Do not worry so, you’ll make yourself sick. It will not be nearly as bad as you are imagining it. Samuel had you practice again this evening, and you did wonderful, even with the new counterarguments he brought up. You are very smart, and you will do well.”

               “Really?” Harry blinked up at Severus, his green eyes glistening in the dimmed lighting.

               “Really.” Severus assured Harry, who smiled and snuggled deeper against Severus. Severus turned his attention to Iris. “And what’s your excuse?”

               “I need a story,” Iris smirked up at her father.

               “Of course, you do. And what would you like this story to be about?”

               “Umm, a princess!” Iris cheered. “With beautiful red hair.”

               “Uh huh.” Typical. Severus looked down at his son. “And what would you like in your story?”

               “A dragon!” Harry exclaimed.

               “A red headed princess and a dragon.” Severus looked up at the ceiling in thought. “Let me think . . . once upon a time, there was a young princess with beautiful red hair who lived in a castle with her parents. As is tradition, her parents wanted to marry her off to some strange prince she had never met before. But the princess wanted nothing to do with traditions. She wanted to do what she loved best . . .” Severus looked around the room as he racked his brain for something that a princess might love to do. He remembered having Harry and Iris paint earlier, so he said, “she wanted to be an artist and paint all day, every day.”

               “I like her already,” Iris said.

               “Her paintings were stunning, original masterpieces, and everyone from all over the kingdom came to see the beautiful paintings of the princess. She painted landscapes, portraits, flowers, and animals. She was admired and known across the lands, and when she turned sixteen, she was a sought-after prize by many.”

               “She was?” Harry asked. “Not her paintings?”

               “She’s a princess who has to be married,” Iris explained. “Times were different then.”

               “So,” Severus continued, “instead of marrying the prince, the princess ran away from home. She disguised herself as a commoner among the townsfolk in search for a way to avoid being married off, and she came across . . .”

               “A dragon?” Harry supplied hopefully.

               “A witch,” Severus said. “She was brewing a potion when the princess came in and told her that she could solve all of her problems with just a sip of the potion she made. Eager, the princess told the witch that she wanted to be an artist, and that she did not want to marry the man her parents had found. The witch smiled and vialed a tablespoon of her potion and handed it to the princess. The witch told her that she would find everything she was looking for if she took the potion at midnight.

               “At midnight, the princess drank the potion and instantly felt its magic. It was powerful, and she felt like she could do anything she set her heart to. But that feeling only lasted for a minute, for when it faded, she began breaking out in scales all over, and she grew larger and larger, until she turned into a fiery red dragon.”

               “Wow!” Iris and Harry said at the same time.

               “Appalled and frightened, the princess tried to tell her parents about what she did, but they could not understand her roars. All her parents saw was a vicious beast that must have eaten their missing daughter. They chased the dragon off, and the princess hid away in the forest, crying tears of paint. For many years, the princess searched for the witch that turned her into a dragon, but whenever she thought she was getting close, the witch would move to a further city, and she would have to start her search all over again.

               “Each time she failed to find the witch she would cry, and her painted tears always left colored streaks in the sky, creating a sad but beautiful painting for all to see.”

               “Like a rainbow,” Iris whispered, half asleep against him.

               “Exactly,” Severus whispered back. He glanced at Harry. His son’s eyes were closed, and Harry had a slight smile on his face. He lowered his voice slightly as he finished his story. “Instead of telling her parents how she felt about the traditions, she tried to change her future through darker means, and will forever roam as a dragon with tears of paint and the world’s largest canvas to paint on, the sky.”

               Harry and Iris had fallen asleep, and Severus picked up his wine and took a long drink from it. He was glad they were asleep now, and he hoped they stayed that way. Deciding he wasn’t going to get much reading done now, Severus shifted himself into a more comfortable position, as comfortable as one could get with two kids on him, then closed his eyes himself.

               Tomorrow’s trial was a mere shadow in his dreams, lingering in the background, growing darker as the night went on.  

 

To be continued...
The Trial Part 1 by krosi

“Do you have everything you need for your stay at Tori’s?” Severus asked Iris as she grabbed her doll and pillow off her bed. “Toothbrush is packed?”

               “Yes, Daddy,” Iris said as she shoved her blanket into her suitcase.

               “Hairbrush?”

               “Yes, I got it.”

               “You have two outfits in there for school, and I know I packed a set of pajamas for you, but did you add socks like you were supposed to?”

               “I’m wearing socks right now,” Iris said, looking down at her feet.

               “And I hope they’re clean socks,” Severus said. “Go grab a couple pairs of socks from your dresser.”

               Iris jumped across her bed and ran to the other side of the room, grabbing socks from her dresser before jumping across her bed once more and tossing them into her suitcase. She helped Severus close the bag up before she took over dragging the bag out of the room and allowing the wheels to bang down the stairs. Severus followed her with an amused look.

               Harry was already sitting at the table sipping a glass of cold milk, an empty vial sitting next to him. His breakfast, however, was untouched. Iris set her suitcase down and sat next to Harry, digging into a plate waiting for her under a heating charm. She licked her lips at the sight of her porridge with bananas, honey, and brown sugar coated on top. She eagerly began eating her food.

               “Thank you for taking your potion without my prompting,” Severus told Harry as he checked on his son. He glanced at Harry’s untouched food. “Something wrong with your breakfast? You did help put it together.”

               “I’m not hungry,” Harry confessed.

               “Regardless, it’ll be a while till lunch, and I’d rather not have you complaining about wanting a snack halfway through the morning.” Especially during the trial, Severus thought. “Please try eating a couple bites.”

               “I don’t want to,” Harry whined.

               “I know, but it’s important that you do. How about three bites, okay?”

               “I’ll try,” Harry said, turning in his seat to face the bowl of porridge.

               “Thank you.”

               Severus went through Iris’s suitcase briefly to make sure she did in fact have everything for her two-night stay at Tori’s. Once he was reassured, he glanced back at Harry to see his son put a bite of porridge and banana in his mouth, then chew slowly as he simultaneously dunked the spoon back into the bowl.

               Satisfied that Harry was doing as he was told, Severus waved his wand and sent the suitcase flying over to the front door to wait for Tori, along with her coat and gloves so Iris could throw them on quickly when she left. He cast a time charm and numbers appeared in the air. They indicated that he had twenty minutes before he had to drive to the courthouse in order to be on time for the start of the trial. He took the opportunity to pour himself a cup of coffee from the hot pot that waited for him in the kitchen, courtesy of Harry. It was one of the tasks he could not seem to break Harry of, not that he minded this chore Harry insisted on.

Harry set down his spoon, his required three bites complete. He pushed the bowl away just as Iris finished hers. She licked her lips at Harry’s untouched meal.

               “Can I have the rest of yours?” Iris asked even as she pulled the bowl over and began digging into it.

               Harry nodded at his sister, resting his head in his arms on the table as he watched her eat the rest of his breakfast.

               Severus studied his two children. Iris was definitely more filled out than Harry was, especially in the face, and if he set the two side by side, Iris was a hair taller than Harry was. And she ate a lot more ravenously than Harry did, as any growing child should. He hoped Harry found his appetite soon and began filling out and growing as he should, but for now, he was content with the small wins. Three bites of porridge today, maybe four bites tomorrow.

               After Harry finished off his milk and Iris had polished off the rest of Harry’s food, Severus heard Tori’s car pull into his driveway. Iris threw on her backpack and Severus carried her suitcase out to Tori’s car and settled it in the trunk. Harry followed them out, waving to Joshua who had opened the side door of the Renault Espace so he could talk to Harry.

               “Iris, you will listen to Tori while you stay with her these next couple days, okay?” Severus told Iris.

               “Yes, Daddy. Ruth and I are going to teach Esther how to play exploding snap.”

               “That sound splendid. Be good in school, and I’ll see you Friday afternoon.”

               “Okay. I love you, Daddy.” Iris hugged her father.

               “Love you, too, sweetie.” Severus planted a quick kiss on her head before ushering her toward the car.

               “Good luck, Harry, Joshua said before he moved slightly to let Iris in the van. “You’re going to do great!”

Tori already had Joshua’s old car seat in the third row, a seat away from Ruth’s car seat, and Iris climbed into the van, moving past Esther who was strapped into her seat in the second row. She joined Ruth in the back row and buckled herself into the car seat, already chatting away with Ruth about all the games they were going to play after school. Joshua held up his hand for Harry, who blinked up at him.

Joshua smiled.

“You’re supposed to hit my hand,” Joshua said. “It’s called a high-five. Like this.”

He moved his hand toward Esther, who smiled and high-fived her brother. Joshua turned back toward Harry, who also smiled and high-fived Joshua’s hand, though much softer than Esther had.

“Joshua, get back in your seat and buckle up,” Tori said as she climbed back into the front seat.

“Bye, Harry,” Joshua said as he slid the door closed and climbed back over to his seat.

               Severus leaned against Tori’s door, glancing inside the vehicle.

               “Where in Merlin’s name are you going to put another child?” Severus asked.

               “Right there,” Tori said, pointing back at where Joshua was sitting. “Joshy can move back and when I don’t have your daughter, I might be able to fit in a fifth.”

               “Better be a boy!” Joshua demanded in the back.

               “A fifth?” Severus quirked a brow at that.

               Tori chuckled.

               “Let me see how I feel after this one,” Tori said, patting her belly. “Alright kids, settle in. Everyone buckled up? Joshua, check on Iris.”

               “Yes, Mum,” Joshua said, jumping up in his seat and looking back at Iris, who pulled on her seat belt. “All good, Mum.”

               “Thank you, hun, buckle up yourself. Bye, Severus. We’ll floo call tonight.”

               The van pulled out of the driveway and began moving down the road toward the town. Severus cast another time charm and realized he needed to get moving so he could be on time for court. He ushered Harry back inside so he could grab a few more things from the house, such as his watch so he didn’t need to cast the time charms, and his briefcase with several documents such as Harry’s birth certificate, the “DNA” results, and the paperwork on the case thus far Wallace had given to him. His wand was already in the wand holder attached to his arm under his sleeve with a concealment charm so the muggle officers would not find it on check in.

               Finally, after Harry grabbed his dinosaur, Spikes, he climbed into his car seat and buckled himself in with minimal help, and Severus shut the door for him before climbing in the front seat himself and starting the car. It was silent as he pulled away from the house and started driving down the road for a few minutes.

               “I don’t want to go,” Harry whined, squeezing his dinosaur.

               “It’ll be okay,” Severus said. “You’ll be up in the chair for less than ten minutes. You just have to answer a few questions then you’re done.”

               “Then I can go home?” Harry asked.

               “Well, no. The court would like you around in case anything should come up during the case that we’ll have to deal with then and there.”

               “Like what?”

               Like social services taking Harry away should at any point it be argued Severus kidnapped the boy or that he is an unfit parent for Harry’s needs. Severus took a deep breath and pushed those thoughts away. Wallace had warned him of the possibility, but said it was highly unlikely the case would take that turn at any point. He didn’t want to worry Harry with those thoughts, so Severus gave his son a reassuring smile through the rear-view mirror.

               “Like any other questions we don’t think of while you’re on the stand. Okay? There’s nothing to worry about.”

               “Aunt Petunia will be there now.”

               “Yes, she will be. I’ve told you before, it can’t be helped. She has to be punished for the naughty things she did, just as you might have to be if you did something naughty.”

               “Like fighting at school?”

               “Exactly.”

               “I still don’t like it.”

               “I know. I don’t either. Do you want to practice your questions?”

               Harry shrugged.

               “It wouldn’t hurt to. Can you tell me what happened on the day of January fifteenth at three pm?”

 

               “I had just finished sweeping the chimney and was about to clean out the fireplace when I fell and hit my head,” Harry told Wallace and everyone else in the room at the courthouse. He glanced up at the older man wearing a white wig and black robe. The man, Judge Meyer, smiled down at him and nodded for him to continue. Harry swallowed nervously, his eyes scanning over to the twelve jurors gathered in a small, boxed area before he quickly looked back at Wallace and said, “I don’t remember much but I think I left the house and got lost.”

               “Why were you cleaning a chimney?” Wallace asked as he accepted the picture of a soot covered Harry back from the jurors.

               “I always clean the chimney, once a week all winter. It’s one of my chores.”

               “A chore that Petunia taught you to do, is that correct?”

               “Yes.”

               “How long have you been cleaning chimneys?”

               “Since I was four. I’m really good at it.”

               “I bet you are. And you got to stay pretty small to fit up most chimneys nowadays, don’t you?”

               “Yeah, I only get a meal a day. Well, I used to only get a meal a day.”

               “From your Aunt Petunia, correct? She told you you had to stay small and only fed you a single meal a day, correct?’

               “Yes.”

               “What did she usually feed you?”

               “She says a bite of scrambled eggs, a half a tomato, and a full glass of milk will keep me going all day long,” Harry recited with a smile.

               “I see. And when you’re done cleaning the chimney, what did you usually do next?”

               “Chimney days are bath days. I have ten minutes to get clean then I can help make dinner.”

               “Did you ever get to eat dinner?”

               “No.”

               “Well, what did you do during dinner time once it was all made?”

               “I go to my cupboard.”

               There was some murmuring among the jury of disbelief, and Harry glanced in their direction while the judge demanded order. Harry glanced behind Wallace at Severus who was sitting at the table Samuel had told him Severus would sit at during the practice trial a few days back. Severus caught his eye and smiled at him. Harry smiled back, then looked over at the other side of the room, at the other table where Petunia sat, an impassive expression on her face.

               Harry met her cold eyes, and he quickly looked away, remembering that Samuel said it was rude to talk to that side of the room, and he wasn’t sure if smiling was also considered rude. Was Petunia mad at him for talking about all of this? Would she hate him now? Should he stop?

               “Harry?” Wallace’s voice invaded his thoughts.

               Harry looked at Wallace.

               “Do you need a minute?” Wallace asked.

               Harry was unsure why he would need a minute, so he shrugged, then shook his head.

               “Do you need me to repeat the question?”

               He missed a question? Harry nodded.

               “Can you tell us about your cupboard?”

               “Yeah, umm, it was my room. It had my bed and blankets, and I could keep any of Dudley’s old, broken toys in there so I could play with them, and that’s where I would sleep.”

               “Where was this cupboard located?”

               “Under the stairs.”

               Wallace walked to the table where Severus sat and pulled out a large photo. He walked back over to Harry and showed him the picture.

               “This is the cupboard where you slept, correct?”

               “Yeah, I mean, yes.”

               “Your honor, I offer exhibit B as evidence,” Wallace said as he handed the picture to the judge. The judge accepted and stared at the picture, shaking his head after a few seconds.

               “Admitted,” Judge Meyer said.

               Wallace took the photo back and held it up before the jury, allowing everyone to get a good look at the picture.

               “The cupboard under the stairs in this picture was your bedroom, where you slept at night, is that correct?” Wallace said before finally handing the picture to juror one to pass around.

               “Yes.”

               “Were there other bedrooms in the house?”

               “Yes. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had a bedroom, Dudley had two bedrooms, and there was a guest bedroom, usually for Aunt Marge.”

               “I see. Were you ever locked inside of the cupboard?”

               “Objection!” Petunia’s lawyer said. “Speculation.”

               “Overruled,” the judge said. “I’ll allow the witness to answer.”

               “Were you ever locked inside the cupboard?” Wallace repeated the question when Harry hesitated.

               “Yes, sir. But only when I was being punished.”

               “Punished? For what?”

               “Different things . . .” Harry glanced at Severus, who gave him a small smile and nodded his head at Harry. “Like burning dinner or not finishing my chores fast enough.”

               “Chimney sweeping and making dinner were not your only chores?”

               “No. I had to make breakfast and lunch too, and clean the dishes, and dust the house, and vacuum and, err, clean the toilets, and pull the weeds and help plant the garden in the spring, and pick up Dudley’s toys, and Aunt Petunia was going to teach me to mop and even mow the lawn like a big boy in the summer.”

               “That’s an awful lot of chores for a little boy.”

               “I have to earn my keep.”

               “Is that what your aunt told you?”

               “Objection,” Petunia’s lawyer said once more. “Hearsay.”

               “Withdrawn,” Wallace quickly said, a small smirk on his lips as he accepted the photo back from the jury. “Back to January fifteenth at three pm, when you left the house and got lost, you were found by your godfather, Severus Snape, is that correct?”

               “Yes.”

               “And it turns out, he is also your father.” Wallace pulled out the DNA results from the folder on the plaintiff’s table.

“Yeah,” Harry smiled. He watched as Wallace also admitted the paper as evidence, but he didn’t pass it around like he did the photo. He showed it to the jury but put it aside to ask his next question.

“That must have been a surprise to both of you, wasn’t it?”

               “Yeah.”

               “So when he found you and realized something was wrong, he took you to the doctor and discovered you had asthma. Did you know you had asthma before?”

               “No.”

               “But you did cough a lot at your aunt’s home, didn’t you?”

               “Yeah, my throat would sometimes hurt, too and it would be hard to breathe. Aunt Petunia would give me tea and cough drops.”

               “She never told you that you had asthma, did she?”

               “No.”

               Wallace admitted one last piece of evidence. Judge Meyer looked sadly at the box before sighing and admitting the evidence. Wallace turned toward the jury and said, “But Petunia did know you had asthma, didn’t she?”

               Wallace pressed play on the box, and Severus’s and Petunia’s voices filled the room.  

“You nearly killed him on several occasions,” Severus’s voice snapped. “Every time you let him climb up that chimney, it aggravated his asthma, he could have died.”

“Ah, yes that,” said Aunt Petunia. “I’m surprised he never did, even when I never gave him his inhalers.”

“You knew he had asthma? You had inhalers for him?”

“Of course, it’s hard to miss it when the child coughs the entire doctor’s visit. Do you have any idea how much inhalers cost? That child was taking money away from my poor Dudders. So, I never picked up his prescriptions.”

The jurors were shaking their heads and sending glares in Petunia’s direction, though she held her expressionless gaze as she stared at Wallace and Harry, observing the questioning with slight interest. Wallace and Severus had agreed to cut out the last section of the tape as the judge had previously said it sounded too much like badgering for court ears, but he had agreed to the rest of the tape being admitted as evidence prior to the trial date. Harry wasn’t sure if he was supposed to say anything now as he watched Wallace take in the jury’s reactions.

Wallace finally looked at Harry and said, “No further questions.”

Harry knew that wasn’t the “I can get down now” phrase, so he waited for a minute, twiddling his fingers.

               “Mr. Snape,” Petunia’s lawyer—what was his name? Mr. Dolion? —said as he stood up and approached the witness stand. “Or is it Mr. Potter? Legally, I don’t recall seeing Snape on any of your documents.”

               “It’s both,” Harry said. “Daddy said we can change it later.”

               “Oh, won’t that be nice?” Dolion smiled as he paused in front of Harry, smiling at him. “Now, I just have a couple questions to clear up some confusion. Now, the time of this incident was January fifteenth at three pm, correct?”

               “Yes,” Harry answered.

               “Well, the fifteenth of last month, that was a Thursday if I’m not mistaken, wasn’t it?”

               “I don’t know.”

               “Good thing I have a calendar here.” Dolion walked back to the defense table and picked up a paper. “It was a Thursday. And at three pm, well, you’d just be getting out of school, wouldn’t you?”

               “I didn’t go to school that day.”

               “Ah, that clears it up. Why not?”

               “Objection,” Wallace said from where he sat next to Severus. “Relevancy?”

               “Get to your point, counselor,” Judge Meyer warned Dolion.

               “I’m just trying to make sense of what exactly happened on January fifteenth at three pm. You say that after cleaning the chimney, you fell and then left the house and got lost?”

               “Yeah, I hit my head.”

               “That must have hurt. How did you leave the house? Remember, you’re under oath to tell the truth.”

               Harry glanced over at Severus, but Dolion quickly stepped into his field of vision.

               “No need to look at anyone, just tell us and the members of the jury the truth. How did you end

up leaving the house?”

Harry licked his lips then chewed on his lower lip briefly. He tried to remember what Samuel had gone over with him when he brought up a similar question. Samuel had said if Dolion pushed, that he could tell the truth, but make it as imaginative as possible. Muggles understand magic when they think it’s make-believe.

               “I fell through the chimney,” Harry said. “I hit my head and heard a loud whoosh! Then I was flying through lots of chimneys, and I ended up somewhere I didn’t know, and someone tried to grab me but I escaped through the chimney again. Then I was flying through more chimneys until I ended up at Daddy’s place. He was surprised to see me, and he cleaned me up and then I stayed with him because he said I couldn’t go back.”

               “I see.” Dolion glanced at the jury, then back at Harry. “And that is the truth?”

               “Yeah, I mean yes.”

               “Interesting. And why did your father say you couldn’t go back to your Aunt Petunia’s?”

               “He said she did naughty things and that she has to be punished.”

               “What kind of naughty things?”

               “Like teaching me to clean chimneys and making me make breakfast and dinner all the time and not giving me my asthma medicine and having a cupboard for a bedroom. Those were all naughty things.”

               “So, Severus Snape, your father, told you that what she was doing was wrong?”

               “Yes.”

               “He filled your imaginative head with stories of what your aunt was supposedly making you do at your home.”

               Harry blinked at that. That was a new argument. He glanced at Severus now that Dolion had stepped aside some to face the jurors, but Severus and Wallace were whispering to each other. Harry looked back at Dolion as he continued, grabbing the picture of Harry covered in soot and holding it up. 

               “And he took this picture of you apparently covered in soot and then cleaned you up before reporting any of this to the police.”

               Harry didn’t say anything as he was unsure if it was a question or not. He fiddled with his fingers, longing to hold Spikes right now. He glanced over at Petunia, who still had an expressionless look on her face. Swallowing, Harry looked down at his lap, watching his fingers intertwine in different patterns.

               “One quick question, did you ever really climb up chimneys?” Dolion asked.

               “Yes.”

               “Really? Did anyone ever see you climb up chimneys?”

               “Aunt Petunia has; she taught me.”

               “Your aunt states that you always wanted to help with cleaning the fireplace, and sometimes you made a bigger mess than you did actually help clean. But she’s never seen you climb up the chimney and she certainly didn’t teach you.”

               Harry looked over at Petunia, who stared back at him. He didn’t know what to make of that statement. Surely it wasn’t true. Petunia wouldn’t lie about anything, she never had before.

               “And the cupboard was the only place you felt comfortable enough to sleep after the trauma of losing your parents, so Petunia made it more comfortable for you.”

               That . . . could be true. Harry had always slept in the cupboard for as long as he could remember. But after sleeping in the bedroom he had at Severus’s house, he was sure he would have preferred a bedroom over the cupboard. Besides, he was getting kind of big for the small space.

               “Objection,” Wallace interluded. “Leading the witness.”

               “I’ll skip to the point,” Dolion said, stepping closer to the witness stand. “Mr. Snape, did you feel abused by my client, Petunia Dursley.”

               “No,” Harry answered honestly.

               “Do you love your aunt?”

               “Yes, very much.”

               “Did your father tell you stories that what your aunt was doing was wrong and abusive.”

               “Yes . . . no. I don’t know.” Harry was confused by the use of the word “stories” in the question. He had remembered telling Severus about what living with Aunt Petunia was like, and then Severus would tell him that it was wrong of Petunia to do that, but he didn’t remember Severus telling him stories of Petunia. He had told the truth, hadn’t he? About everything. She had taught him to climb the chimney. He remembered that.

               “Did you know that Severus Snape was in a custody battle a few years back over his daughter? Did you know he nearly lost?”

               Harry shook his head, glancing at Severus, who had his head in his hands, looking much like he did after grading a bunch of essays in one sitting.

               “I can’t help but wonder,” Dolion said, moving toward the jury box, “if Severus Snape suddenly found out he had another child, and instead of going through another custody battle he could easily lose, he filled an impressionable and clearly imaginative boy’s head with stories of my client to make her look bad o he could throw her in jail and take custody of his son that way.”

               “Objection!” Wallace snapped.

               “Withdrawn,” Dolion smirked, holding his hands up defensively. “Just thinking out loud. No further questions.”

               Dolion walked back to the defense table where Petunia was smirking now.

“Does that mean I can get down?” Harry asked, feeling very nervous and unsure now. His stomach was knotting itself and he wanted his dinosaur to squeeze, if only to stop his shaking hands and feet.

               “The witness may leave the stand,” Judge Meyer said. “Go ahead.”

Harry jumped off the stand and ran over to Severus at the plaintiff table, who opened his arms for Harry to run into. Harry hugged his father, feeling his nerves calm slightly.

               “Are you okay?” Severus whispered.

               Harry nodded his head into Severus’s shoulder. Severus rubbed his back briefly, then stood up, lifting Harry with him.

               “Go with Addie now, okay? I’ll see you at the recess.”

               “Am I in trouble?”

               “No. You did very well.”

               Harry allowed himself to be passed over to Addie, and she set him down and handed him his dinosaur, which Harry squeezed in one arm while Addie took his hand and led him down the aisle and out of the courtroom. They moved to a room adjacent to the courtroom where a table with Harry’s dinosaur figures, a deck of cards, and a monster truck waited for him. Addie sat Harry down in a chair at the table before she grabbed a juice box from her bag and spelled it cold for Harry. She offered it to him.

               Harry accepted the drink and sipped it.

“Are you okay?” Addie asked.

               “Is Daddy going up next?”

               “No. He may not go up until tomorrow. They want to talk to an old schoolteacher of yours, and then Healer Villin, and then your Uncle Vernon agreed to take the stand for a lesser punishment. They also want to hear my version of when Severus “brought you home,” so it’ll be a long day.”

               “Oh,” Harry said. He cuddled his dinosaur some more, staring at the white walls in the room. He felt his bottom lip quiver.

               “What’s wrong, sweetie?” Addie asked. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

               “Aunt Petunia,” Harry whispered.

               “What about her?”

               “She lied,” Harry said, a tear rolling down his cheek.

 

To be continued...
The Trial Part 2 by krosi

Severus rubbed his temples as he stared down at the papers scattered around his dining table, a muggle pen in his hand as Wallace directed him to the areas he needed to initial or sign. He was seated at the table, leaning into the palm of his hand as he propped himself up on his elbow. He closed his eyes briefly, feeling the several days of lack of sleep catch up to him in that instant, and he nearly gave in to the feeling and kept his eyes closed a second longer.

               “Severus!” Wallace snapped.

               Severus opened his eyes and stared down at the page he had started to scribble on. He finished his signature and glanced over at Wallace, who gave him a concerned face.

               “If you need, I can find a reason to postpone social services visit today,” Wallace offered. “You look exhausted and with where we stand in this case now, you need to look as attentive to your daughter as you can be.”          

               “I know, I know,” Severus said. He signed the last paper and handed the sheets to Wallace. “And no, it needs to be done today. I can’t be asking for favors right now, and it won’t look good if I ask to have these visits rescheduled.”

               Wallace’s eyebrows shot up.

               “It won’t look good if you drop your daughter because you fell asleep while holding her.”

               “I can assure you, of all the times I fell asleep holding Iris, I have yet to drop her.”

               “Then let’s not break that record,” Wallace said as he packed away the legal paperwork. “This isn’t going to be an easy case, what with the tender years doctrine and Iris not being two years old yet, this is going to be an uphill battle and you need to be everything for that child. You cannot let yourself be distracted for a moment. Where you go, she goes, unless you’ve got a babysitter somewhere?”

               “No,” Severus said as he dragged his hands down his face. “Dahlia and I had opposite schedules so someone was always home with her, but I can look for one, I guess.”

               “Well, if you want to teach and change nappies at the same time, you do you.” Wallace threw his jacket on and picked up his briefcase. “Just tread carefully, Severus. If you’re serious about taking full custody, you’re going to need to be mum, dad, teacher, provider, playmate . . . and everything else I can’t think of. Try not to bite off more than you can chew and there’s no harm admitting if you can’t manage it all. We can go over our terms at any time.”

               “It won’t be necessary,” Severus said, standing to escort Wallace to the door. “I’ve been managing fine.”

               “I just don’t want you to be disheartened if we lose the case. It’s a high possibility.”

               “Thank you, Wallace,” Severus said, holding the door open to his friend.

               Wallace sighed and nodded at Severus wishing him a soft “good day, then,” as he stepped out the door. Severus closed the door behind him and leaned against it, raising a hand over his eyes. This morning had been awful so far. First, he heard news of his best friend’s death, along with her husband. He didn’t even know what had become of his own son, but after his floo call with the auror, Wallace had called the phone line and announced that he had finished up with the paperwork Severus needed to review for their upcoming court date in the ongoing custody battle of Iris. And to top the cake, social workers decided today was a great day to see his humble home.

               It had been three weeks since he broke it off with Dahlia, and two weeks since they began their legal custody battle. In that time, he was Iris’s everything, day and night, and it was exhausting him. It felt very similar to when they had first brought Iris home, when she was up every two hours for a bottle or nappy change. Now, she was simply fussy and irritable, and Severus was sure the change in her routine along with Dahlia’s continued absence played a role in it. She hardly slept through the night anymore, and he spent hours each night trying to guess what might placate her enough to go back to sleep.

               Crying sounded from the playpen in the living room and he glanced in its direction. Iris had woken from her nap and was standing up in her playpen, tears streaming down her face as she reached out for Severus. Her hair was messy despite the pigtails, and she only had a diaper and shirt on.

               With a heavy sigh, Severus walked over to the playpen and picked up his daughter.

               “Okay, honey,” Severus said softly, “are you hungry now? You hardly ate breakfast.”

               Iris stuck her thumb in her mouth as she rested her head against Severus’s shoulder. He carried her over to the dining table and set her in her highchair. He was so glad for his open concept design as he walked into the kitchen, glancing back at Iris every minute as he grabbed a couple fruits, a melon and a pear, and chopped them up quickly. He scooped up the fruit and brought the items back to Iris, dropping the fruit on her highchair table. Iris slowly picked up a fruit and shoved it in her mouth.

               There was a knock at the door and Severus winced. It couldn’t possibly be social services already—he hadn’t even had a chance to clean up yet. The living room was a mess of toys Iris had thrown around last night and the kitchen still had yesterday’s meal preps in the sink. He needed a shave and perhaps a fresh change of clothes. Well, his state of being would have to suffice.

He used his wand to move all of Iris’s toys into one of the empty bins in the living room and then cast a self-washing charm on the dishes in the sink and they floated to the drying rack one by one. He summoned a comb and quickly redid Iris’s pigtails, much to her displeasure, and she threw a pear piece in protest.

Another knock at the door echoed in the house and Severus took a deep breath and headed to the door. He opened it and blinked at the sight.

Albus Dumbledore stood on the doorstep holding a crying Harry in his arms.

“Harry.” Severus breathed a sigh of relief as he took the small child from Albus and rocked him. Harry slowly stopped crying until he was just sniffling in Severus’s arms. “Albus, what happened?”

“I’m afraid we put our trust in the wrong hands,” Albus said. “Peter Pettigrew betrayed the Potters, and Voldemort found their hideout. Harry is the only survivor, I’m afraid.”

Severus brushed Harry’s hair back, his eyes falling on the lightning shaped scar that graced the boy’s head. It still looked red and swollen, and he ran his thumb over it and Harry twisted away from him with a whine. Severus shushed him and rocked him more.

“As for Harry,” Albus began, “we do not have many options for him. You are his godfather and named first in line should something happen to the Potters, not to mention his father, so I must ask if I may transfer guardianship to you, Severus.”

Severus paused, staring into Harry’s sad green eyes. Lily’s image came to his mind, and the hurt it caused forced him to look away. His eyes fell on Iris, who was busy dropping her remaining fruit on the floor.

“I . . .” Severus began as he looked back at Harry. He felt his chest tighten and his heart picked up pace in his chest as he closed his eyes, frustration grinding at his nerves. Why now? Why all of this at the same time? Was he really going to have to choose one child over the other? Could he do it?

No distractions, Wallace had said; try not to bite off more than you can chew.

Iris let out an angry cry as she pounded on the table.
               “I don’t know,” Severus said as he handed Harry back to Albus and walked inside, leaving the door open for Albus to follow. Severus pulled Iris out of her seat and set her on the floor. He used his wand to clean the mess she had created. “Dahlia left me. And she wants full custody of Iris, and I’m already set up to lose this whole case; social services are stopping by at some point, and . . . I can’t take on another child, not right now.”

“So, a temporary placement then,” Albus suggested. “Your parents, perhaps?”

“No, Dad just came home from having muggle lung surgery and Ma has a lot of aftercare instructions she needs to assist him in. I can’t throw a baby at them. I feel awful enough as it is. What about Black? He’s the other godfather.”

Severus grabbed Iris before she could toddle off too far and cleaned her face and hands with a summoned washcloth before he let her go and wiped down her highchair.

“I’m afraid Black is unaccounted for. I fear he may have gone after Pettigrew.”

“Of course, he did,” Severus grumbled as he rubbed his temples.

Albus watched with a concerned frown as Severus cleaned up his kitchen with forceful flicks of his wand. Dishes and pans put themselves away and washcloths scrubbed at the counters. Albus adjusted Harry to his other hip, glancing down at the little redheaded girl fiddling with the hem of his robe. She looked up at him with big brown eyes. He smiled at her before looking back at Severus.

“Are you sure your parents are out of the question? Your mother was always one to take on a challenge.”

“Albus,” Severus warned.

“And perhaps social services might see someone who is more than worthy of keeping his daughter if he can manage two babies. I’m sure Iris would love to grow up with a sibling to play with. It’s good for their brain development, I hear, certainly the muggles will take that into consideration. Or perhaps we could consider other close relatives. Petunia has a child of her own, I’m sure she would keep an eye on Harry for you while you work all of this out, if not for you, for her dear sister . . .”

“Albus, stop!” Severus snapped. “Just . . . stop!”

There was silence for all of three seconds.

Then, Harry and Iris started crying loudly.

Severus bit his inner cheek and covered his face with a hand.

Albus tried rocking Harry as he moved forward and placed a supporting hand on Severus’s shoulder.

“You look exhausted, my boy,” Albus said. “Perhaps Harry staying with Petunia would be best for now.”

“Are you seriously suggesting I send my son to that woman?” Severus glared over his hand before he lowered it completely and picked up his daughter.

“She is married now, has a son of her own. She’s not the same young teenager you once knew, Severus.”

Severus rubbed Iris’s back as she snuggled against his chest. His eyes strayed to Harry, who was rubbing his eyes tiredly. The poor boy had been through so much already. He needed somewhere he could settle down and find a routine. Severus barely had a routine figured out for Iris still. And if Petunia was married and already had a child, then at least there was two of them to share the tasks of parenting and Petunia was one to always plan everything out. Besides, it would be temporary. He needed to win for his daughter first.

“If you’re certain she’ll take care of him,” Severus said, “I’ll agree if she agrees. I don’t know how long this will take. Muggle law cases could go on forever it seems.”

“Then it is settled. Harry will be okay, Severus. I will insist that Petunia sends you updates on his progress while you work things out with Dahlia and the muggle law.”

The tightness in his chest clenched more, and Severus fought the feeling as he nodded.

Five Months later:

Severus could finally breathe. It was over. He had won the case. It had been so close for so long with the back and forth badgering but he finally won for Iris. He knew he would be Iris’s best interest, and while Dahlia would probably never talk to him again, she would get over it and hopefully use her visiting time wisely with Iris. She had managed to win herself every other holiday and a weekend each month. Far too much time in Severus’s opinion, but he reluctantly agreed to end the battle. He looked over the finalized documents Wallace had delivered and set them in a drawer in his desk.

As he opened the drawer, he found the Christmas picture of Harry Albus had delivered to him on New Year’s. He sat down in his seat and stared at the photo. The night he had gotten it, he couldn’t help the few tears that had escaped his eyes. Harry was sitting in front of a large Christmas tree with an awed expression on his face. There were several gifts surrounding the tree, more than what he thought was reasonable for two boys, but he wasn’t about to complain.

Shuffling through the papers on his desk, Severus found the photo Albus had delivered yesterday. It was a family photo, one with Petunia and her grossly obese husband, and two small children at their feet. Harry was smiling as he leaned back against Petunia, who held his hand to keep him from running off most likely. Severus smiled at the photo, then closed his eyes.

He loved his son, but he looked so happy and settled in with the Dursleys, he didn’t want to rip away that security Harry had found and force him to start all over in new territory. Harry didn’t know him like he now knew the Dursleys. He would be scared and confused as to why his world was turning upside down all over again. And after everything he had already gone through . . .

Without a word, Severus set both photos in his drawer. He had no place in Harry’s life anymore. He gave up on that chance twice—once to James and Lily, and now to Petunia. While he may have had an uncle like status in the first relationship, Petunia had stated that she was too nervous around magic to want any of it near her house, and that it might be best if Severus stayed away, especially now that Harry was relaxed and trauma free, so it seemed. Though the scar never faded. He agreed, for Harry’s sake. He had to do what was best for his son, just as he had to do for his daughter.

               “Severus!” Eileen’s voice called.

               Severus left his study, finding his mother and Eileen in the living room. Eileen finished changing her nappy and slid a skirt back on the redhead before letting her toddle off. Eileen stood up and vanished the dirty nappy before she saw Severus.

               “There you are,” Eileen said. “I have to head back home to your father, are you all set with everything from court?”

               “All the paperwork is finalized.” Severus said.

               “Oh good.” Eileen frowned as she asked, “Are you okay? For someone who won custody of his daughter, you don’t look so happy.”

               “Just lost in memories,” Severus said with a small smile. “I’ll be fine.”

               “Hmm.” Eileen reached into her purse and pulled out a card. “I heard from an associate that a familiar face is back in town. I thought I might give this to you. You know, in case you need help.”

               “I’ve been managing just fine,” Severus said even as he took the card.

               “Just in case,” Eileen reassured. “We could all use a little help sometimes, you know.”

               Eileen stepped through the floo and vanished. Severus glanced at the card, and he quirked a brow at the picture. There was a face he had seen many years ago, albeit a younger image. He turned the card over.

Single Parent? Busy Work Schedules? Too many minds to entertain?

Addie Bell is the nanny for you!

First Aid Spells and CPR Charm Certified. Accidental Magic Chaos Solutions Trained.

50 Years’ Experience.

Nannied over 30 children, pureblood, halfblood, and muggleborns alike.

Floo Call information below.

               Severus smiled softly.

 

Present Day:

 

               Severus pulled out of his reverie on the day he had sent Harry away to Petunia, and his eyes strayed over to the awful woman sitting with her impassionate face staring back at him. He had been fooled by her for many years thanks to those staged photos. He refocused his attention on Wallace who was pacing and talking in front of the witness stand where he was currently sitting. Severus frowned when he heard Wallace’s question.

               “Do you need me to repeat the question, Severus?”

               “Yes, thank you,” Severus replied.

               “You did not persuade Harry in any way, tell stories or lead Harry on that Petunia was abusive?”

               “I did not.”

               “Harry told you on his own accord that Petunia was forcing him to climb up chimneys, eat small meals, and sleep in a cupboard?”

               “Yes, and much more as I spent more time with him.”

               “Thank you, no further questions.”

               Severus steeled himself for Dolion to start his cross examination.

He had seen the man shred every testimony to pieces, even Healer Villin’s, much to Severus’s disbelief. Dolion had argued with the doctor that Harry could have developed asthma much later in life, and that it was new disease Petunia did not get a chance to even prepare for as Harry then vanished not much later. He shredded Harry’s old schoolteacher’s observation skills to pieces, remarking that if Harry was always in such an awful state, why not report it? Or was Harry’s condition truly as bad as the teacher was saying? He informed the jury that Vernon was only agreeing to abuse for a lesser punishment than his wife, and even Addie was scrutinized on the stand just for being a close association of Severus’s.

Dolion was quiet for a moment as he strolled up to the stand, then rested an arm on the stand and leaned into it casually.

“I know this must be hard on you, seeing as it concerns your son,” Dolion began, “but I can’t imagine how hard it must have been to give him up in the first place. Why did you do that, Mr. Snape? Give up your son?”

Severus took a deep breath. Of course, that would be Dolion’s opening question.

“At the time of his parents’ death,” Severus began, “his mother and adoptive father, Harry’s placement was brought up to me and unfortunately, my ex and I had a falling out and were in the middle of a custody battle over our daughter. As it was, I was at a great disadvantage as mothers are more often awarded custody over the fathers, and social services was looking for any excuse to have Iris removed from my care and put into a foster placement until a court decision was made. Not wanting to lose my daughter, I had to find Harry a temporary placement until the situation was resolved.”

Severus paused to glance at the jurors’ reactions. They were not giving off a lot of reaction, so he continued.

“It was several months until the court finally came to a decision and when Petunia sent me her updates, I was deluded to believe that Harry was happy, secure, and comfortable in his new home and I couldn’t unsettle all of that again, not after he had already lost his parents. I couldn’t take him away from what I thought was a good family that he was connecting to. After all, I was never really a big part of his life. He didn’t get the chance to know me as he was with Petunia.”

“I see,” Dolion said, glancing at the jurors. “So you willingly put Harry into Petunia’s care all those years ago, and not once checked in on your godson?”

“I did not want to confuse him,” Severus said.

“You didn’t want any kind of relationship, it would seem,” Dolion said.

“I thought it would be for the best.”

“I’m sure you did. I’m sure you thought abandoning him was the best thing you could do.”

Severus opened his mouth, but he struggled with words, so he closed it and frowned.

“Not until you discovered that this boy was your son,” Dolion said. “Isn’t that right? The DNA tests are nice and all, but you must have had a sneaking suspicion before you even had Harry in your custody. You were quick to send in samples to get results back so soon.”

               Severus held back a sigh as he nodded. He could agree to that, although he was sure it would not look favorably on him.

               “Yes, I did have some suspicions when I brought him to my house, and it was more out of my curiosity that I sent the samples in to be tested. I never thought much of it until I found him and really considered who his father might actually be, as his mother and I did have a relationship not long before she started dating James Potter.”

               “Hmm,” Dolion hummed before pacing in front of the stand. “I had wanted to bring up this picture you took of Harry when you found him. This one here.”

               Dolion held up the picture of Harry covered in soot. Severus nodded, waiting to see what argument Dolion would make of it.

               “You claim to have taken this photo when you brought Harry back to your house and before you called the police.”

               “Yes.”

               “Why didn’t you let the police see Harry like this before washing away all the evidence you may have had?”

               “I wasn’t going to let my son remain in that state waiting until the police arrived. They came several hours later, at a time more appropriate for Harry to be in bed and asleep.”

               “Are you saying the police are incompetent at their job?” Dolion asked. “That they cannot prioritize cases appropriately? Or did you coat Harry in this mess to go along with your story of Harry chimney sweeping long enough to take this picture then washed away the evidence of your chimney soot on your son?”

               “Objection,” Wallace called.

               “Sustained,” the judge said. “Unless you have evidence to back your speculation up, please move on.”

               “One more question, Mr. Snape,” Dolion asked. “Have you ever seen Harry climb a chimney?”

               Severus frowned. Unfortunately, he had yet to see Harry crawl up a chimney, nor did he want to, but Harry had managed to crawl up his chimney and escape his house. Bringing that up in court probably would not look good on him as a parent though.

               “No,” Severus admitted. “I have not.”

               “No? He’s never offered to clean your chimney or do various other chores you claim he was forced to do at the Dursleys’? Habits are rather hard to break.”

               “He asks to do things all the time,” Severus said. “Clean the chimney, make breakfast, clean the bathrooms. He even knows how to work my coffeepot that took me several failed brews to figure out how to use. I allow him to assist me with making meals but I try to keep him busy with other activities kids his age would enjoy more than cleaning or cooking. He is learning how to have fun, something he never really had living with Petunia.”

               “Or is it that he doesn’t actually know how to do many of the things he claims Petunia taught him, which is why you never see him actually do these chores.”

               Severus narrowed his eyes at the accusation that Harry was a liar, but before he could rip the lawyer a new one, Wallace spoke first.

               “Objection,” Wallace said. “Speculating again.”

               “Last warning, counselor,” the judge said.  

               “No further questions.” Dolion smirked before stepping back over to the table with Petunia.

               “The witness may leave the stand,” the judge said. “That’s enough for today. We will resume this case in the morning.”

               Severus sighed as he stepped down from the stand. The judge spoke to the jury reminding everyone that no one is to speak about the case outside of the courtroom and to be present again the next day. Honestly, there was one more testimony remaining, and that was Petunia’s. And while she didn’t have to go on the stand, she insisted, and Severus was sure it was to make herself look as much a victim as Harry. It had been another long day, like yesterday’s events, there were more people called to the stand, the two officers for instance that had taken Harry’s report, and Harry’s original pediatrician had come forward to testify on Harry’s behalf, revealing that he had diagnosed Harry with asthma a couple years back. Then Severus had gone on the stand and finished off the day. Severus was happy for a break. He wasn’t ready to listen to Petunia’s lies yet.

               He wasn’t sure he’d ever be ready for that.

               Severus shared a few brief words with Wallace as he slipped his jacket on before he walked down the aisle and left the courtroom. He went straight for the small side room where Harry and Addie were staying. He found the two coloring a picture together. There were two containers of salad with chicken breast, one empty and one half eaten, and Severus saw a third pushed to the side for him. Severus paused to smile at Harry’s half-closed eyes and slouched body as he worked on coloring in a T-rex in a red shade. Harry glanced over at Severus and smiled.

               “Hi, Daddy,” Harry said. “All done?”

               “For today,” Severus said. “Did you get your assignments for school done?”

               “Yeah, and Addie said I did a good job.”

               Addie nodded with a proud smile herself.

               “Solved all his math problems without any of my help. He had a little struggle with his writing but he’s catching on so quickly.”

               “I’m glad to hear,” Severus said as he reached out to pick Harry up. Harry set his coloring aside and lifted his arms obligingly, and Severus settled him on his hip. Harry leaned into Severus’s shoulder, tucking his arms in between himself and Severus. Severus spoke to Addie, “I’m going to him home to bed, it is way past his bedtime. I’ll see you here tomorrow?”

               “Of course,” Addie said, grabbing her coat and putting all of Harry’s things in a folder. “I’ll hold on to these for him. We’ll finish his spelling tomorrow. He’s had all his medicine for tonight.”

               “Thank you,” Severus said. Severus grabbed Harry’s coat and maneuvered it onto Harry before grabbing the container of salad and walking out of the courthouse.

               It was a quiet drive home. Harry fell asleep as soon as he was strapped into his seat and Severus’s thoughts kept straying back to that fateful day that had drastically changed Harry’s life for the worse. Severus felt the familiar guilty tightness in his chest return, all these years later, and he wondered how different things may have turned out if he had kept Harry. Would he still have full custody of Iris? Would he still have lost one child either way? Or could he have managed to keep them both and raise them together, as they should have been all along?

               All these what ifs will never change a thing in the past. What’s done is done. All he could do now was move forward and change Harry’s life once more for the better. He had failed Harry too many times already. That will not happen again.

               Severus carried Harry to bed then quickly crawled into bed himself.

               One more testimony to go.

               Petunia’s testimony.

               Severus tossed and turned that night, worry consuming him. He wasn’t really concerned about losing the case. Wallace said only a fool would fall for these obvious deceptive tactics. No, Severus was concerned about what Petunia might say about Harry to the whole courtroom. He was afraid to hear what she truly thought about Harry. He was sure her aim had been to make Severus and Harry look like the liars and Petunia would play the poor, caring mother who did her best, but it wasn’t enough. He wasn’t sure if he could keep his mouth shut during her turn. He’d make an honest effort.

               As long as Harry didn’t have to hear it, he could endure it for his son’s sake.

 

To be continued...
The Trial Part 3 by krosi

 

               It was a dark, foggy morning which Severus thought was very fitting for the day. At least Harry made the morning easy. As soon as he had woken his son, Harry dressed, took his inhaler and nutrition potion with no persuasion, and nibbled at his toast and jam before they had to leave for court. As soon as they arrived, Addie pulled Harry into the side room to finish his homework and work on other crafts. Severus was grateful for the drama free morning as he was able to catch with Wallace before the trial began once more.

               Petunia was the last to take the stand. And Severus knew she’d try to make herself sound like a victim. Her answers to all of Dolion’s questions were innocent and disgusting, at least, in Severus’s mind.

               “So, you never taught Mr. Potter to climb up a chimney to clean it?” Dolion asked.

               “No,” Petunia answered honestly. “I would never do that to a child. As I said, I tried to keep Harry as comfortable as I could, but it truly was challenging. He was so traumatized by what happened with his parents, comforting him was very hard. I was only trying to distract him from his pain by having him help me around the house. He loved it. I thought it was helping him as his mood was improving.”

               “I see. And just to clarify to the court, why did you not report your nephew missing when he left the house and Severus claimed to have found him wandering the street?”

               “He’s left the house before,” Petunia said. “A couple times, actually, and I’d always panic but right before I’d call the police, a neighbor would call and say Harry was at their house hanging with a friend. He always came back in the morning, and I figured it was good for him to socialize so when he turned up missing again, I assumed he had taken off to a friends’ again. Foolish of me, I know.”

               “Thank you, Mrs. Dursley,” Dolion said. “No further questions.”

               Petunia nodded with a smile as Dolion returned to his seat, then she flashed her smile to Wallace expectantly. Severus narrowed his eyes at her, but Wallace was hardly fazed as he stood up intently, smiling back at Petunia.

               “Good morning, Mrs. Dursley,” Wallace greeted. “So, it sounds to me like you really did your best to care for Harry even after all his traumas.”

               “I did. It wasn’t easy.”

               “No, I can’t imagine it was.” Wallace moved around the table and walked toward Petunia with slow purposeful steps. “So, you tried distracting Harry’s pain by making him help you around the house?”

               “He liked to keep busy.”

               “By making breakfast, lunch, and dinner? Cleaning the bathrooms and the kitchen? Chimney sweeping?”

               “He wasn’t a chimney sweep,” Petunia denied. “He’s never climbed up a chimney. He only helps clean the fireplace.”

               “I can’t imagine a way a young boy would be covered head to toe in soot in the way Harry was by helping to clean the fireplace.”

               “Then you must not know many young boys,” Petunia said with a smug look.

               “Perhaps not,” Wallace agreed. “The only time my boys are covered head to toe is after playing football in the rain, and that’s with mud, not soot. There’s a lot of falling and slipping and rolling around that’s required till they get to that point though. So, how is Harry helping you clean the fireplace?”

               “He helps brush out the soot,” Petunia said. “He may play a little with it despite my saying no. Grabs fistfuls and throws them around the air. It covers him.”

               “To the point he looks like this?” Wallace asked, holding up the picture of Harry covered in soot.

               “He has never looked like that,” Petunia said. “That picture is clearly staged.”

               “What about Harry’s knowledge of a chimney’s structure? When Harry talked to the police, he gave very detailed descriptions about how he cleaned the chimney. How he had to pull himself up to a shelf on the inside, which was narrow and challenging to get around and on top of, but once he got in there, he was small enough to shimmy up the flue. He also had to dust off the shelf as well after he scrubbed the walls of the flue clean, which means he had to get back down the chimney then crawl up it all over again. That’s a lot of accurate information for a little boy to know.”

               “He was probably coached to say those words.”

               “Let’s move on,” Wallace said, pocketing the picture. “Harry stated that in order to stay small enough to fit up the chimney, you fed him small meals. Very small meals, as we heard earlier in this process, usually a breakfast consisting of a bite of eggs, a tomato, and a glass of milk. No lunch, and maybe a few bites of dinner now and then. Is that what you also fed your other kid, Dudley.”

               Petunia made an annoyed face at Wallace before saying, “Harry was a picky child. That’s all I could usually get him to eat.”

               “You mean to tell me that a busy, hard-working and growing, might I add, young boy would only eat a few bites for breakfast and dinner and forgo lunch?”

               “Yes. As I said, he was a picky child.”
               “I see. And when you kept Harry busy, he also assisted making breakfast and dinner, which is a useful skill to learn so young, did Dudley ever help?”

               “Objection,” Dolion called.

               “Stay on topic, Mr. Wallace,” Judge Meyer said.
               “I’m making a point,” Wallace said. “What about the ten-minute bath rule? Did Dudley have that rule as well.”  

               “Harry had a tendency to stay in the bathtub too long,” Petunia said as she brushed a lock of hair out of her eyes. “He needed that timer to help him get clean in a timely fashion.”

               “I see, I see. And when he didn’t finish in a timely fashion, you—what? Locked him in his cupboard as punishment? Did Dudley get those kinds of punishments, too?”

               “No, I would never . . .” Petunia glared off to one side briefly before shaking her head and saying, “I never locked anyone in a cupboard, especially Dudley.”

               “Especially Dudley? But not Harry?” Wallace frowned in mock confusion as he paused in front of the jurors.

               “I mean both of them.”

               “So, you treat the boys in your care fairly? Give them the same number of presents, which is none. You let them skip school whenever they feel like it, especially if they are doing chores around the house.”

               “Objection,” Dolion tried to interject but Wallace spoke over him.

               “You ignore medication when it’s needed for the boys and let them play around in dangerous soot. Is this how you treat Harry and Dudley?”

               “Stop talking about my son like that,” Petunia growled, her left eye twitching slightly.

               “Your son? What about Harry?”

               “I just mean . . .” Petunia bit her lip before sighing. “Dudley isn’t Harry. They’ve had different experiences.”

               “Different experiences that you supplied them. Did Dudley ever want to help clean the chimney?”

               “And have him inhaling it?”

               “Well,” Wallace huffed. “Harry helped you, didn’t he?”

               “Objection!” Dolion tried again. “Badgering the witness.”

               “It certainly didn’t bother you that Harry inhaled the soot, aggravating his asthma.” Wallace continued despite the Judge’s final warning to move on and either ask a question or make his point.

               “Harry was a freak!” Petunia snapped.

               There were gasps all around the court while Wallace frowned at Petunia, crossing his arms as he paused in front of the witness stand.

               “You people,” Petunia snarled at everyone in the room, “have no clue—no idea—what these people are.” Petunia glared at Severus. “You have no understanding of the freakishness I had to put up with and the danger it put my whole family in. There’s a whole world of it kept in the dark from all of you, and if you knew, if you’d seen it, I bet that you would have done the same!”

               Unbeknownst to the people in the court, including Petunia and Severus, Harry slipped through the doors of the courtroom as silently as he could, clinging to a coloring sheet. Everyone was captivated by Petunia’s words, and he tiptoed down the aisle and through the swinging door at the end where he slithered up to Severus, putting the coloring sheet down in front of his father proudly, starting Severus.

               “Look what I did, Daddy,” Harry said. He smiled proudly at his t-rex that he had finished coloring from yesterday.

               “What are you doing in here?” Severus asked. “Where’s Addie?”

               “She had to go to the loo,” Harry explained. He tapped his colored picture again. “Do you like it? I bet t-rex would have been . . .”

               Harry trailed off as he heard what Petunia was saying.

               “Harrys parents,” she said, “were freaks just like him, and it got the two of them killed. I wasn’t risking anything happening to my family, so yeah, I kept that boy busy. Kept him in his place and made sure he knew he was nothing.”

               “Harry,” Severus whispered harshly as he reached for Harry to pick him up, but Harry jerked away from him, walking around the table.

               Wallace saw the movement out of the corner of his eyes, and he gave Petunia a hard look as he asked, “You never loved him, did you?”

               “Objection!” Dolion shouted. “Your honor—”

               “No,” Petunia affirmed. “How could I?”

               Harry gasped and jerked back as if pulled by an unseen force.

               “How could anyone?” Petunia continued.

               “That is enough!” Judge Meyer demanded.

               “Aunt Petunia,” Harry cried, running toward the witness stand. “I’m sorry, I can fix it.”

               Severus grabbed Harry before he could reach the stand, lifting him as he began screaming and kicking.  

               “I can fix it, Aunt Petunia!” Harry cried, struggling in Severus’s grasp. “I’m sorry! I can make it better. Tell me what I did wrong. What did I do wrong? No!” Harry tried kicking harder against Severus as he was carried further away from the witness stand.

               “Remove the jurors,” Judge Meyer said. “Lawyers, my chambers now.”

               “Aunt Petunia, I’m sorry!” Harry continued to cry, tears streaming down his red face. “What did I do wrong? Tell me. I’ll fix it, I promise! I’m a good boy. Let me go. Aunt Petunia! What did I do wrong?”

               Petunia never looked at Harry once. She allowed an officer to cuff her as she was led out of the room, keeping her hair in her face to obscure herself from any eyes.

               Severus managed to get Harry out of the courtroom and into the small side room Harry had been coloring in. Addie returned with an apologetic face as he stepped in and set Harry down, then had to kneel and catch Harry before he collapsed to the ground. Harry cried harder as he buried his face into his hands, his glasses threatening to fall off. Severus removed them, handing them to Addie before he wrapped his arms tightly around Harry.

               “I’m sorry,” Addie said, “I stepped out for a minute . . .”

               “It’s okay,” Severus said, though he wasn’t really sure who he was directing it to. He squeezed his son as Harry sobbed harder into his shoulder. He scooped Harry up and stood, swaying with his body as he shushed Harry.

               “I’m sorry, Harry,” Severus said softly. He kissed Harry’s temple, then rubbed Harry’s back as he began to cough and wheeze slightly.

               “What did I do wrong?” Harry murmured into Severus’s shoulder.

               “You didn’t do a thing wrong, honey. Not a thing.”

               “She doesn’t love me.”

               “I know. I’m so sorry.”

               It was several minutes before Harry’s sobs turned to sniffles. Severus continued pacing the room slowly, rocking Harry and shushing him as he did. Addie offered a hot chocolate to Harry, who finally pulled away from Severus enough to take a few sips. It was a few more minutes when Harry settled enough that he only rested his head on Severus’s shoulder, blinking blearily. At last, Harry’s eyes closed, and he fell asleep.

               It was then that Wallace knocked softly on the door before entering. He gave Severus an apologetic look. His face saddened at the sight of Harry’s tear-streaked face.  

               “I’m sorry, Severus,” Wallace said. “I got caught up in getting the truth out of Petunia and . . .”

               He shook his head, knowing there were no words for his behavior and the cost it did to Harry’s emotional health.

               Severus didn’t say anything. He focused on rocking Harry in hopes it would help his son have good dreams.

               “Judge Meyer is disappointed in the disorderly behavior,” Wallace continued, “but he will not call a mistrial due to the sensitivity of the case. And thankfully, it’s time for closings and then the jury begins deliberating. That could take hours. Days if they wanted it to. I’ll keep you posted.”             

               Wallace took his leave while Severus sighed, glad this whole ordeal was almost over.

               Severus stayed in the small room with Harry napping against him. He chatted with Addie about what was talked about during Petunia’s questioning and Addie was surprised by Wallace’s emotional technique. Severus wouldn’t have minded it so much had Harry not been a surprise eavesdropper. Although, somewhere deep in the back of his mind, he was glad Harry knew the truth. Now, his son could really begin healing. Still, it hurt to see Harry fall apart as everything he knew about his world crumbled around him.

               Closing arguments took all of thirty minutes, yet two hours had passed since the jury deliberations began. It unnerved Severus that it was taking so long, as he was sure it was an obvious loss for Petunia. Had he missed something the jurors had seen? He felt unease settle on his chest, and the weight was uncomfortable. He shifted Harry against him, but it did not help lift the crushing pressure, so he tried occluding. With no thoughts, he focused on Harry’s breathing against him, his son’s hair ticking under his chin, and the rhythmic fall and rise of Harry’s chest. He became fully enveloped in this moment and nothing else in the world outside of this moment mattered.

               Another three hours passed; Addie went home; and Harry was awake against him as Severus read a third storybook to him. Finally, there was a knock at the door once more.

               Wallace slowly entered, smiling softly at Harry.  

               “We won,” he said.

 

               The drive home was bittersweet. Petunia was found guilty on all counts of child neglect, abuse, endangerment, and abandonment. She would be spending twenty-five years in prison, plenty of time to rethink her life choices while Harry healed and grew up in the way he should have been cared for all along.

               The healing would be slow, Severus knew that, but he did not like how quiet Harry had been all day. After waking from his nap earlier that day, tears threatened to fall down Harry’s face almost immediately, and Severus quickly distracted him with a few books. Now, Harry was just quiet, sitting in his car seat snuggling Spikes as he stared out the window, watching the world blur by.

               “We’re picking up Iris before we head home,” Severus said, trying to spark conversation. “I’m sure you’ll be happy to see her again. I know I’ve missed her.”

               Harry stared in Severus’s direction but said nothing.

               “Are you hungry? I can stop somewhere if you’d like. Do you want fish and chips? Hamburger?”

               Severus didn’t care much for the fast-food chains, but he was willing to spoil Harry a little if it’d perk him up a bit. Harry shook his head, however, and Severus licked his lips as he thought of something else.  

               “Okay. How about some music?” Severus fiddled with the radio, trying to find a station that played decent music that might appeal Harry. He became frustrated when he started getting more and more static, then turned the radio off in exasperation. “Or not. Are you okay, Harry?”

               “I’m okay,” Harry said. “I want to go home.”

               “I know, and we will. We just have to stop by Tori’s house first, then we’ll head home.”

               Harry returned to staring out the window, leaving Severus to his own depressing thoughts on the whole situation.

               It was a long forty-minute drive until they arrived at Tori’s Georgian style house. Severus pulled up the long driveway, parking a few feet from the entrance. He looked back at Harry.

               “Do you want to come in and say hi to everyone?”

               Harry shook his head.

               Severus sighed, but he left the car running as he stepped out and headed inside the house. A few minutes passed before Joshua ran out the front door with a smile on his face, Enid the spaniel running at his feet. Joshua climbed in on the other side of the car, hopping over Iris’s car seat and seating in the middle seat.

               “Congratulations, Harry,” Joshua said. “Severus said you won.”

               Joshua held his hand up for Harry to high five, but Harry only stared at Joshua. Joshua lowered his hand and frowned.

               “Hey, are you okay?” he asked.

               “I don’t know,” Harry replied honestly, his lower lip trembling.

               “You’re okay,” Joshua said with confidence. “Everything’s going to be a hundred times better now. You’ll see. You have Severus now. He’d never leave you or do anything your aunt did to you.”

               Harry thought back to Petunia’s scorching words.

               “Promise?” Harry asked.

               “I pinky promise,” Joshua said, holding out his pinky. Harry locked his pinky with Joshua’s. “The truest and strongest of all promises. At least, that’s what Dad says.”

               Harry smiled at Joshua.

               “I’ll see you at my birthday party, okay? You’re coming right?”

               Harry nodded, even though he wasn’t entirely sure. He wanted to go, but was Severus going to take him? Would he be allowed to go?

               Joshua smiled before hopping out of the car as Iris and Severus walked out of the house, Tori following with Esther on her hip. Harry watched as Severus and Tori whispered to each other softly while Iris jumped in her car seat, enthusiastically greeting Harry who smiled at her before looking back at Severus and Tori. Tori flashed a sympathetic smile at Harry and gave a small wave. Harry didn’t react.

               Severus wished everyone goodnight, smiling at Esther as he signed “goodnight” to her, while Esther shyly hid her face against her mother’s shoulder, signing “night, night,” back to Severus.

               The drive home was a lot quicker than the drive to Tori’s from the courthouse. It only took twenty minutes before Severus helped his sleepy children out of their car seats. Harry retreated to his bedroom to dress and change while Severus assisted Iris with her bag and suitcase. He dressed for bed, brushed his teeth, then went back into his bedroom and reached for his inhaler.

               He paused, his fingertips brushing the device.

               “That child was taking money away from my poor Dudders. So, I never picked up his prescriptions.”

               Harry felt tears well in his eyes and his throat tighten up on him. For the first time, those words spoke a whole new meaning to him. Aunt Petunia had only wanted to spend money on Dudley, not him Because she didn’t love him.

               “Making a child climb up a chimney is dangerous and illegal,” Severus had once said. “You could have been killed. It’s aggravating your asthma; you could have suffocated.”

               “I don’t have asthma.” Because Aunt Petunia never told me, Harry thought. She tried to kill me. She didn’t love me.  

               Harry couldn’t breathe. He grabbed his inhaler and took in a shaky puff.

He still couldn’t breathe, so he took another puff.

               Then another.

               Then another.

               “What are you doing?” Severus said as he walked into Harry’s room. His eyes widened and he snatched the inhaler away. “How many puffs did you take?”

               Severus reached into the drawer of Harry’s desk and pulled out a folded paper that Severus began unfolding frantically, trying to read the tiny print on the sheet that kept unfolding into a larger sheet. He swore under his breath as he struggled to understand the muggle medication information. He tossed it aside and summoned a vial. Harry watched him as tears escaped his eyes.

               “Here,” Severus said, holding the vial to Harry’s lips.

               Without question, Harry took a long drink of the vial. The revolting taste made his nose scrunch while the smell stung his eyes, bringing out more tears. He pushed the vial away weakly.

               “That should neutralize the medication,” Severus said. He pocketed the vial then sat down on Harry’s bed, pulling Harry up to sit next to him. “What was that about? You know it’s just one puff for right now. What were you thinking?”

               “I don’t know.” Harry’s lower lip trembled. “Aunt Petunia didn’t love me. I did everything she wanted, and it wasn’t enough. Why wasn’t I enough?”

               “Oh, Harry.” Severus pulled Harry into his lap and Harry snuggled into his chest. “I’m so sorry. Petunia . . . she didn’t have any room left in her heart to love you. That’s not your fault and there was nothing you could have done to change that.” Severus kissed the top of Harry’s head before running his fingers through Harry’s messy hair. “But you don’t have to worry about her anymore. You have a family who loves you very much. Trust me, we have plenty of room in our hearts for you.”

               Harry closed his eyes against Severus’s chest.     

 

To be continued...
Malfunction by krosi

The day after the trial, Severus noted that Harry was withdrawn and quiet. He did as he was asked, took his medication, ate his food, worked on his homework, and during quiet time, he fiddled with his plastic dinosaurs or flipped through books. While his reading was slowly getting better, Harry did not often read by himself just yet, and with the way he turned the pages, Severus knew Harry was just looking at the pictures. When reading time came around, Harry didn’t engage in the book, and Severus decided to just read the book to Harry while pointing at the words as he read them. After what Harry had been through, he could skip a day or two of reading aloud. He needed time to process what had happened, after all.

               However, this subdued behavior did not last long, for the very next day, Harry seemed to have found his voice.

               It started at first thing in the morning, when everyone had finished a simple breakfast of beans on toast and a sunny side up egg (minus the egg for Iris, of course), and Severus had his children take their dishes to the sink. Iris delivered hers first before she ran off, then Harry moved to do the same. Just as he reached up to set the dish in the sink, the plate slipped from his fingers and crashed to the floor, shattering on impact. Severus quickly picked up Harry to keep him from stepping on any of the ceramic.

               “I’m sorry!” Harry cried as he was picked up and carried out of the kitchen. Severus set him on chair at the dining table. Harry continued speaking, looking very contrite. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean it. I’ll clean it up. It won’t happen again.”

               “It’s okay,” Severus said as he kneeled in front of Harry to check his legs and feet. “It was an accident. Are you okay? Did you get cut anywhere?”

               “No.”

               “Good. Why don’t you go find something to do while I clean up in here, okay?”

               Harry nodded and quickly shuffled away. With a swish of his wand, Severus was able to clear away the broken pieces of the plate before he scrubbed the few dishes in the sink manually. While he wasn’t fond of performing menial tasks, sometimes the act of doing so helped him clear his mind and think about matters that needed immediate attention, such as how he would proceed with Harry from this point forward.

With Harry’s knowledge regarding the truth about Petunia’s feelings toward him, he worried how it might adversely affect Harry. Surely having his entire world fall apart at the seams warranted more than a withdrawn child. Nightmares? Harry didn’t wake up the last couple of nights, at least not to his knowledge. Performance at school? Well, he was sure he’d hear about it should anything happen tomorrow or in the future. Harry had finished his schoolwork with no problems yesterday; the only thing he really didn’t do was read out loud. Perhaps he should encourage Harry to read with him again tonight, just to make sure he didn’t start falling behind again.  

               After finishing up in the kitchen, Severus graded essays and edited lesson plans for a couple hours, knowing if his children needed anything, they would seek him out. And sure enough, Harry appeared in his doorway, hovering with a guilty look.

               “The toilet upstairs isn’t working,” Harry said.

               “What do you mean it’s not working?” Severus asked with a frown. He stood up and followed Harry upstairs to the bathroom where the toilet was overflowing with water. Severus pulled his wand out to vanish the water and dry the bathroom. “What happened?”

               “My plesiosaur and mosasaurus wanted to go for a swim,” Harry said innocently as he clasped his hands behind his back.

               Severus gave Harry an annoyed look, then, with a jerk of his wand above the toilet bowl, he summoned the toys out of the drain and sent them flying to the sink with a self-washing charm. He allowed the toilet bowl to fill back up with water, making sure it stopped at the appropriate level before grabbing the toys out of the sink and drying them with the hand towel. He paused in front of Harry.

               “Toys do not belong in the toilet, nor is that an area for play,” Severus said. He narrowed his eyes at Harry. “Though I have a feeling you already know that.”

               “I’m sorry,” Harry said, puckering his lower lip out and dropping his head, looking up through his lashes at Severus. “I didn’t mean it; I won’t do it again.”

               “Where have I heard that before?” Severus asked with a sigh. He handed the toys to Harry. As his eyes strayed upward, he spotted a distinct color on the wall across from the bathroom. His eyes widened as he stepped around Harry and toward the wall. Crayons littered the floor and on the wall were cartoonish scribbled of dinosaurs, some roaring, some flying, some swimming in a large blue splatter that covered the lower half of his once clean, Edgecomb Gray wall.

               “Harry,” Severus began to scold.

               “Do you like it?” Harry asked, giving Severus a small, unsure smile. “The wall was boring, so I added color.”

               “I see. Unfortunately, I’m not exactly fond of artwork that isn’t on paper. You’re going to clean this off . . .”

               “No!” Harry said, turning away and crossing his arms.

               “Excuse me?” Severus raised a surprised eyebrow. “I wasn’t aware I was giving you a choice. You made this mess, now you can clean it off. Crayon does not belong on our house walls.”

Severus summoned a washcloth and dish soap. He sprayed water on it from his wand and added a small squirt of the soap before lathering it up. He held out the cloth to Harry.   

“Here, young man,” Severus said. “You’re helping me take the crayon off the wall.”

“I don’t want to,” Harry said.

“If you don’t want to clean the walls, then next time, don’t color on them. Come on, let’s get this over with. You’re doing nothing else until this wall is clean.”

At those words, Harry plopped on to the ground and started crying loudly. Severus sighed and crossed his arms, waiting it out. He saw Iris peek out of her room curiously, but he reassured her Harry was fine and to go back to whatever she was doing. Severus looked back at Harry.

“I colored it for you,” Harry said in between his loud sobs. Severus had heard Harry cry genuinely before, and he was not impressed with the show Harry was putting on for him. But he figured it’d be easier to play along for now. Perhaps this was Harry’s way of testing him, seeing where boundaries really were. Harry hadn’t really gone through that period yet.

“That was very thoughtful of you,” Severus said. “However, I would have liked it more if you colored it on paper for me, that way I could hang it somewhere so everyone can see your hard work. The wall is not a good place for your drawings, it ruins the paint and makes it look messy. So now, you must clean it off. Do you understand?”

“Okay.”

Finally, Harry sniffled and sat up, rubbing his eyes before accepting the washcloth from Severus. He tried scrubbing at the wall, but the crayon only faded some and smeared. After ten minutes of trying really hard to take the crayon off and managing to make at least one dinosaur disappear, Harry turned back to Severus with a defeated look. Severus smiled at Harry and accepted the washcloth back.

“Good job,” Severus said. “Do you see how hard it is to get crayon off the walls? Do not color on them again or you’ll be right back to scrubbing. I’ll take care of the rest. Go to your room for some quiet time, okay?”

Harry nodded and retreated to his room with his toys.

Severus flicked his wand at the wall, clearing away the rest of the crayon. The paint was a bit faded out now where the crayon had been, and unfortunately, Severus had no cans of paint he could use to spell a fresh coat on. He sighed. He knew he wasn’t going to keep his house in the most pristine condition with two kids living in it, but still—he wanted to try. Was that so unrealistic?

Later that same day, long after Iris and Harry had gone to bed, Severus finished his grading in his study while Tums preened his feathers above him. He spent most of the afternoon amusing his children and keeping them busy, so no one had too much free time to cause trouble, and it seemed to work. Which meant he had fallen behind on his grading, but thankfully, he was almost caught up. A few more essays to go and it was only what—a quarter past midnight? Oh well, he’s had later nights before. Maybe this week he’ll give out less homework. Maybe.

A small creak caught his attention and looked up to see Harry pushing the door to his study open, his eyes a bit glazed from sleep.

“Hey buddy,” Severus greeted, motioning Harry to come in. “What are you doing up? It is very late to be wandering. You have school in the morning.”

Harry slowly walked over to Severus, rubbing an eye as a yawn escaped his lips. Once he was in next to Severus, he lifted his arms up expectantly as his lower lip quivered. Severus immediately set his quill down and picked Harry up, settling him in his lap and wrapping his arms around him in a firm hug.

“What’s the matter? Did you have a bad dream?”

Harry rested his head against Severus chest and gave a quick shake of his head.

“No? What is it then? Are you okay?”

Harry nodded against him and continued to stare off at nothing. Severus hummed softly before he picked up his quill to finish grading, checking on Harry every minute or so. Harry fell back to sleep against him, and Severus smiled at his son. He was sure today had just been a fluke. A bad day for Harry.

Boy, he was wrong.

“I don’t want to go to school!” Harry cried as soon as Severus had woken him the next morning. Severus ignored he crocodile tears Harry tried to show off as he encouraged him to get dressed and ready for the day. At least Iris seemed to be in a good mood as she jumped out of bed and did her usual morning duties.

“I don’t want to take my medicine,” Harry said even as Severus grabbed the inhaler and held it up to his mouth. After a few stern words, Harry took his puff, but he refused to drink his nutrition potion or even touch his breakfast.

“I’m not hungry,” was his excuse, but Severus was not accepting that.

“Harry,” Severus warned, “we’re running late as it is, and Addie isn’t feeling well today so I have to drop you kids off at school. At the very least, drink the potion and we’ll head out.”

“I don’t want it. It’s gross.”

“It is not. It tastes like strawberries. You’ve had no problems with it before. Now drink it so we can leave.”

By the time Harry took the potion and Severus was ushering his kids out the door, they were five minutes late. And Harry did not seem finished with his tantrums for the morning.

“I don’t want to sit in the car seat,” Harry grumbled, crossing his arms and refusing to get in the car.

“The car seat is nonnegotiable,” Severus said. “We’re late, so get in.”

“No.”

               They had no time for arguments. Severus picked Harry up and set him in the car seat.

               “No!” Harry cried, kicking and arching his back so Severus couldn’t get the seatbelt on. “I don’t want to sit in the car seat. Joshua doesn’t sit in one.”

               “Joshua is twice your size,” Severus said. “Now, stop that and sit back so I can buckle you in.”

               Harry didn’t make it easy for Severus. He continued to kick and try to wriggle out of the car seat until Severus managed to snap the buckle in. He spelled it lock so Harry couldn’t undo it, which made Harry scream louder. As Severus pulled out of his driveway, Harry began kicking the back of his seat.

               “Harry, please stop,” Severus said in an exhausted voice. “What on earth has gotten into you today?”

               “I don’t want to go to school,” Harry said.

               “But Mrs. Hadewin is taking us outside,” Iris said, smiling at Harry, “to learn about flowers and how they bloom and stuff. It’ll be fun.”

               “It’s boring,” Harry grumbled, crossing his arms, and pouting the rest of the way.

               When the made it to the school, Severus helped Harry out of his car seat.

               “Please behave, Harry,” Severus said. “Try to have a good day, okay?”

               “I am trying,” Harry said, looking down at his shoes.  

               “You’re a good boy,” Severus said. “I know you can try harder.”

               Harry peeked up at Severus and offered a small smile at the praise before he followed Iris into the school, running after her to catch up. There were a couple other stragglers, so Severus felt a little better that he wasn’t the only one dropping his kids off late to school. Honestly, how could any parent get their kids to school on time every day? Anyone who could manage that should share their secret with the world.

               Severus left the school and drove back home, rushing back inside to get to the floo. His first class would be piling into his classroom right now, and he had to get there before they thought to start messing with any ingredients and cauldrons. He hoped Harry settled down at school just enough to have a decent day. He had been a very good student the last couple of weeks and the teachers loved him. And Harry really did enjoy learning, Severus had discovered, so maybe school would offer a nice distraction for him.

               He was starting to question what he knew about the world when Addie floo-called him with startling news halfway through his second morning class. Unfortunately, settling down at school had not happened.

 

               Severus sat in the principal’s office with a look of disbelief on his face, Harry sitting in the chair next to him with a guilty look on his face.

               “He threw a rock at that Webb kid?” Severus asked for clarification.

               “During the class’s outdoor nature lesson,” Principal Pederson affirmed with a nod. “And he still hasn’t given a reasonable explanation yet.”

               “I would like to know why you felt the need to throw a rock at another kid, Harry,” Severus said, looking over at his son.

               Harry shrugged and muttered, “I don’t know.”

               Severus pinched the bridge of his nose. He just didn’t understand it. Harry had been such a good kid; despite the one outburst he had had when he first began school. Otherwise, he had been well behaved and kept his hands to himself. It seemed that the other kid had been leaving him alone as well, so what changed? What changed with everything? Was all this behavior because of the trial? Was Harry acting out of frustration and anger at Petunia?

               “Mr. Webb,” Principal Pederson spoke, “had to leave in an ambulance to receive stitches at the hospital. Mrs. Webb dared to threaten to sue you for vicarious liability over your son’s actions. This is a very serious, Mr. Potter.”

               “Mr. Snape,” Harry corrected with a small pout.

               “Are you listening to the principal, young man?” Severus asked with a frown. “You are suspended for a week, and you have in school suspension next week when you return. You injured another kid to the point he had to go to the hospital. You hurt him. You are in serious trouble, Harry James.”

               “He made fun of my glasses,” Harry admitted, his lower lip protruding. “He said I have four eyes.”

               “That must have made you angry,” Severus said, “but you cannot hurt others just because they might have hurt you. You should have told a teacher about what he was saying to you. He would have gotten in trouble for name calling. Now you’re the one in trouble for physical assault. Did you want to make him bleed, Harry? Did you want to crack his skull open? You could have seriously injured him, left him unconscious, even.”

               “I didn’t mean to do that,” Harry said softly, looking down. “I was just—I don’t know. I was angry.”

               “When Harry returns to school,” Principal Pederson said, “he will be required to see our counselor twice weekly until further notice. We will make the arrangements here for him, but if he wishes to remain at this school, he will attend these sessions. I understand he’s been through some traumatic times, but his behavior is alarming and escalating, might I add, and I feel counseling will only help.”

               “I understand,” Severus said. He wondered if the school counselor might be enough or if he would need to find someone outside of the school to continue working with Harry on his growing list of troubles. “Thank you for your time, and Harry will return with a letter of apology to Mr. Webb when he comes back next week.”

               “That sounds agreeable,” Principal Pederson said. “And I will have Mr. Webb write an apology letter as well for his name calling. I believe that is only fair.”

               Severus walked Harry out of the school, opening the door and letting out a relieved breath when Harry jumped in his car seat and buckled in. Severus climbed in the front seat and drove back to his house. He would have to take Harry with him to Hogwarts once again for the day. Hopefully, Addie was feeling better the next day and could watch Harry for the rest of the week.

               “I’m sorry, Daddy,” Harry said. “Are you mad at me?”

               “No,” Severus answered honestly. “I am very disappointed in your behavior. I understand it can be hurtful when other kids make fun of you, especially for things you can’t help, but there are right and wrong ways to express your anger. You and I are going to work on a few techniques tonight, okay? Right now, I must get back to work, so you’re stuck with me for a while. I want you to work on your writing, and you can start with that apology letter.”

               It was a long afternoon for Severus and Harry. While Severus taught his classes, Harry struggled with his writing. He gave up at one point and played with Spikes who he had grabbed upon arriving home earlier before flooing to Hogwarts. Severus caught him while students were busy brewing, and he directed him back to the letter, which unfortunately resulted in a tantrum with an audience. Severus nursed a headache for the rest of the class period until he managed to sneak a headache reliever in between a class period.

               Harry finally managed to write a well enough apology letter and Severus accepted it and folded it up neatly into an envelope. He stored it away in his study once they made it home for the night. Tori dropped off Iris and left-over lasagna with bread and butter. Harry picked at his food while Iris happily ate her fill while telling Severus about how her day at school was, though she declared that she missed Harry at recess.

               When the kids were asleep for the night, Severus sat in the living room and reviewed lesson plans that he didn’t get to the night before. The headache came back full force, and he rubbed his temples, leaning his head back against the sofa. Harry was constantly on his mind as of late, and he worried he was doing something wrong, as though he was failing his son somehow. Should he consider a muggle therapist for Harry? Maybe a mind healer? Did Petunia’s reveal actually break Harry?

               There was a scuff on the stairs and Severus snapped his head in the direction of the noise. Harry paused halfway down the stairs, staring down hesitantly at Severus, as if surprised to see him in the living room. Severus crooked a finger at Harry, signaling him to come down.

               “What are you doing out of bed, young man?” Severus asked as Harry paused in front of him. “You’ve had a long day.”

               Harry looked down at his bare feet, rubbing them against each other. He peered up at Severus through his lashes.

               “Is something wrong, honey?” Severus asked, setting his work aside on the cushion next to him and leaning forward slightly. “What’s troubling you? Hmm? What’s going on inside that head of yours?”

               Harry’s only response was to hold his arms out toward Severus. Severus stared at Harry for a moment before he gathered his son in his arms and pulled him into his lap. He leaned back into the cushion with Harry snuggled up under his chin, his stray hairs tickling Severus’s nose. He smoothed Harry’s hair back, then rubbed Harry’s back as he held his son, allowing Harry to steal whatever it was he needed from him. When Harry fell asleep, Severus abandoned his work for the night and carried his son back to his bed before turning in himself.

              

               The week went on, and Harry’s behavior hardly changed, even without the stressor of school. While Harry was still better behaved for Addie than he was with Severus, twice that week Addie confessed that Harry refused to either do his work or pick up his toys when asked, and at one time, he ripped up his homework in protest. Yet, that was the worst Addie had seen in Harry.

               Harry saved his worst tantrums for Severus, either first thing in the morning or as soon as he returned from work. From refusing to take his inhaler to throwing toys all over his room when asked to pick them up, Harry unleashed every emotion he had to give when Severus was in the house. One minute, he was screaming “no” at the top of his lungs and the next he was a crying mess and spouting out apologies left and right. After Harry threw his inhaler across the room one evening, Severus threatened that Harry would not be attending Joshua’s birthday that Saturday, which resulted in Harry sobbing in a genuine heartbroken manner. Severus was at a complete loss.  

               And yet, every night, Harry would wake up and seek Severus out, whether in the study or even in his own bed. Without a word, he’d crawl into Severus’s embrace and allow himself to be rocked back to sleep. Severus began to expect him the third night, and he welcomed Harry without question, knowing he wouldn’t get an answer even if he asked.

The tension Harry created was felt by everyone, and even Iris had a couple off days. She woke up moody one day and added to the teary drama when Severus told her she couldn’t wear one of her dance outfits to school. Another evening, she got a little too lippy with Severus and earned herself a few minutes in the timeout corner.

                By the time Friday rolled by, everyone had had enough of each other, and Severus came home just in time to see Harry and Iris fighting over one of the toy wands Iris had. They were both tugging on one end, neither giving up on keeping possession of the toy. Addie was coming out of the kitchen scolding the two, but as Severus was closer, he stepped in, using his wand to vanish the toy.

               “What is going on here?” he asked, his hands on his hip as he glared down at the two kids.

               Harry and Iris were surprised at first when the toy vanished between them then realized who was to blame. They both started talking at once, pointing accusingly at each other.

               “She won’t share her toy with me; I even asked nicely, but she . . ..”

               “He did not ask nicely! He didn’t ask at all; he started it . . ..”

               “No one is getting the toy,” Severus said, cutting off the two kids. “Absolutely nothing is worth fighting each other over.”

               “That’s not fair,” Iris said. “He started it.”

               “No, I didn’t, you did.”

               “Did not,” Iris said, shoving Harry slightly.

               “Iris, hands to yourself. You know—Harry, no . . ..”  

               Severus was too slow to stop Harry from forcefully shoving Iris to the ground, and Iris grunted as she stumbled back and landed on her side. Severus was quick to pull Iris to her feet and look her over, making sure she was okay before he turned stern eyes on Harry.

               “Harry James, apologize to your sister!”

               “She pushed me first,” Harry defended, though he clasped his hands behind his back and his head dropped in shame.

               “And I was handling it before you shoved her to the ground. Now apologize.”

               “You like her more than me!” Harry cried, dropping to the floor, and hiding his face behind his hands as he sobbed loudly.

               Severus bit his inner cheek, closing his eyes and taking a couple deep breaths before he picked up Harry and carried him to his study, allowing Addie to tend to Iris. He shut the door behind him and set Harry down. Kneeling in front of Harry, Severus gently took Harry’s chin in his hand and tilted the boy’s head, so he was making eye contact.

               “Do you remember what we talked about?” Severus said. “When we get angry or upset, we need to what?”

               “I don’t know,” Harry said as he tried to pull his head away.

               “Stop and try to remember,” Severus encouraged him.

               “Close my eyes?” Harry said.

               “Yes, and?”

               “Count to ten?” Harry said again.

               “And breathe,” Severus finished. Why don’t you try that now?”

               Harry closed his eyes tightly.

               “Relax,” Severus whispered. He reached up and ran his thumbs along Harry’s brows, smoothing out the frown lines. Harry relaxed his face.

               “Deep breath in.” Severus paused a few seconds before saying, “Now breathe out.”

               After a few more breaths, Severus encouraged Harry to start counting, and Harry slowly counted to ten softly. Finally, Harry opened his eyes and looked at Severus, who gave him a questioning look.

               “Do you feel calmer?” Severus asked.

               “A little,” Harry answered honestly.

               “That’s something. I want you to remember this and try it when you feel yourself getting overwhelmed, especially angry. Iris shouldn’t have pushed you as she did, but you used a lot of force to knock her over in retaliation; you could have seriously hurt her, just like you did to that kid at school. What if she fell on her wrist wrong and broke it? Then how would you feel?”

               “Bad,” Harry said softly. “I didn’t want to hurt her.”

               “But you almost did. And I was dealing with Iris for pushing you. You need to learn to allow the adults around you to handle some things, okay?”

               “Okay.”

               “As for liking Iris more, I care for you both equally. I will admit that I’ve known Iris since her birth, raised her, and I understand her a little better than I understand you sometimes, but that doesn’t mean I love you any less. We will come to understand each other well with time, but for now, know that I love you very much, Harry. I always have.”

               “Really?” Harry asked, his eyes glistening in fear of rejection.

               Severus pulled Harry into an embrace. Harry wrapped his arms around Severus’s neck.

               “Truly,” he answered. “No matter what you do, where you go, or how naughty you’ve been, I will always love you. Do not ever fear that.”

               There was a soft knock at the door, and Severus slowly stood up and opened the door. Iris stood there with a guilty look, Addie standing behind her.

               “I’m sorry for pushing you, Harry,” Iris said.

               “Me too,” Harry said.

               Iris rushed into the study and wrapped her arms around Harry, startling her brother before he returned the hug. Addie smiled at Severus, who gave her a half smile and a nod. With the two siblings on good terms once more, the small family managed to get through dinner peacefully before Severus read a chapter from Iris’s Charlotte’s Web book with both kids at his side on the sofa before he sent them off to bed.

               Once again, as Severus was brushing his teeth in his ensuite, Harry appeared in his bedroom with a groggy look. He blinked up at Severus, his eyes squinting slightly in the bathroom light. Severus finished what he was doing and came out of the bathroom, picking up Harry before turning off the light.

               “Tomorrow is Joshua’s party, you know,” Severus said softly as he brought Harry to his bed. “He’ll be turning nine years old. You don’t want to be too tired to celebrate, do you?”

               Harry shook his head against Severus as he snuggled up against his father once they were both under the covers.

               “I thought not. Back to sleep with you. You’ve had an emotional day.”

For the first time, Harry said something to Severus before he closed his eyes.

               “I love you, too, Daddy,” he said.

               Severus felt his heart swell at those words, and he planted a kiss on the top of Harry’s head.

              

To be continued...
One Big Family by krosi

“Did we get Joshua a present?” Harry asked first thing that morning, following his father around the bedroom as Severus tried to ready for the day.

               “We can pick something up on the way to Tori’s,” Severus answered as he gently pushed Harry aside as his son was becoming rather underfoot at the moment. Severus reached into his wardrobe for a change of muggle clothes. “Why don’t you go get dressed for the day, Harry? I set some clothes out for you on your nightstand last night. I’m going to take a shower, okay?”

               “I need a shower, too,” Harry said.

               “You had a bath last night; you are more than clean enough to go get dressed and wait for me downstairs for breakfast.”

               “I don’t want breakfast. I need help with my clothes.”

               “You do not,” Severus said, stepping around Harry and heading toward his ensuite. “You’re awfully clingy this morning. Go make sure Iris is awake and get yourself ready for the day, okay?”

               “But Daddy,” Harry started.

               “I’ll be ten minutes,” Severus assured his son before shutting the door.

               Harry stared at his father’s bathroom door for a moment and heard water start to run. He considered entering the bathroom, but Severus had already told him what he wanted done before he came out of the shower. Today made him feel nervous, and he wasn’t really sure why. Harry left his father’s room and walked down the hall to Iris’s bedroom. He knocked on her door, but when no noise greeted him, he pushed the door open slightly.

               “Iris? Iris! We have to get up now.”

               Iris grumbled something under her breath, so Harry figured she was awake now and let her be, closing her door once more. He went to his own bedroom and dressed himself quickly, finding little trouble with getting the trousers and yellow polo laid out for him on, before taking his inhaler, then heading downstairs to get Severus’s coffee going. He used the stepstool Severus now left in the kitchen for him to reach the coffeepot and get the ground in the filter. While the coffee brewed, he watched it patiently, clasping his hands behind his back and waiting as he watched the light flicker from red to green. As the coffee finished, he heard steps coming down the stairs and Severus appeared in the kitchen.

               “I made you coffee,” Harry said as he stepped up on the stool and reached for a coffee mug. Severus beat him to it, however, and pulled down a mug, pouring a cup himself.

               “Thank you,” Severus said, giving Harry’s temple a quick kiss. “Did you take your inhaler?”

               Harry nodded.

“How about you sit down for some breakfast, hmm?” Severus suggested. “I’m sure there will be a lot of food at Tori’s today, so something small. Cereal, perhaps?”

               “I want cereal,” Iris said through a yawn as she walked toward the pantry. She was dressed in a yellow, floral ruffle top with blue denim culottes. She pulled out a box of Crunchy Nut and waited for Severus to grab a bowl for her. Severus set two bowls down and Iris poured cereal in both bowls.

               “Do I have to eat it?” Harry asked.

               Severus poured milk in both bowls and Iris took hers to the table to eat.

               “You know the drill,” he said, handing Harry the bowl and leading his son to the table. “At least five bites and all of your nutrition potion.”

               Harry sighed as he sat next to Iris and began stirring his spoon in the cereal.

               After the two kids had eaten (Harry managing to take seven bites of the cereal), Severus dressed them in jackets and drove his kids to a muggle store where Iris led the way inside.

               “Terrell says that Joshua doesn’t have the newest Roy of the Rovers magazine,” Iris said as she ran to the magazine and paper stands, “so we have to get that for him. Everyone else is getting him football stuff, I think.”

               “What is Roy of the Rovers?” Harry asked. “And who’s Terrell?”

               “Joshua’s cousin,” Iris said as she pulled a magazine off a shelf. She held it up to Severus. “This one, Daddy?”

               “That’s last year’s issue,” Severus said. “I guarantee Joshua has that one.”

               Severus reached above Iris and pulled down a magazine, handing it to her.

               “This one,” he said.

               “Yes!” Iris cheered. She held it out to Harry. “See?”

               Harry studied the cover—a picture of a blonde man in red and yellow happily kicking a football. Roy of the Rovers, it read, with the year printed under the title. He frowned at it, accepting it from Iris and opening it to a page. It was mostly pictures with some words in big white balloons above the characters.

                  “It’s a comic strip,” Severus explained. “Perhaps you and Joshua could read them together; you might like them. Come, let’s pay for it so we can head over to Tori’s. She would like some help setting up before the rest of the family arrives.”

               Severus grabbed a gift bag and tissue paper, then led his kids to check out, where he said no repeatedly to wants of candy, which was hard to avoid as it was Valentine’s Day and chocolate hearts lines the aisles. As the cashier rung up the magazine, Iris peered over the belt and eagerly held her hand out.

               “Can I pay for it?” she asked.

               “You have money?” Severus smirked at his daughter.

               “Can I borrow some?”

               Severus rolled his eyes playfully and handed some money to Iris, and she gave the money to the cashier, who thanked her and cashed out the family. Severus paused just outside the car to wrap the magazine edition in tissue paper, slide it into the bag, and stuff more tissue paper around it. He waved his hand over the tag on the bag. His, Harry’s, and Iris’s names appeared. Iris took the big responsibility of holding the bag during the drive over to Tori’s, where chaos was quick to ensue.

               When they arrived, Severus was pulled right into helping with table and chair set up. Iris quickly ran over to Ruth and Esther, who were running around with ribbon, leaving it all over the house and backyard. Harry learned from Addie that Joshua was out with Samuel at the moment, picking up last minute items. So, while everyone danced about the house in preparation, Harry sat on the back stoop stroking Enid’s ears while everyone danced about the house and yard in preparation. Even the medium sized dog found all the action a bit much to handle.

               Harry stared out into the yard. It was fairly large, with a patio where two long tables had been pushed together and paper and plastic dinnerware were set on top. Four more long tables were set out in the grass with several chairs, and the rest of the yard was left open where a small playground sat, complete with a slide, rock wall, and a single swing all attached as one piece. Further back, two goal posts were set up a few yards apart from each other. Surrounding the yard were trees and bushes, blocking the family from neighboring views.

               An hour or so later, strangers began flooding the house. There were more adults, lots of kids, and even familiars, such as three cats, a toad, and two other dogs that Enid ran off to play with. Harry managed to find Severus before the crowd grew too large, and he stayed close to his father, even when Iris tried to encourage him to play a game of freeze tag with Ruth, Esther, and three other girls. He shook his head at her though, then she disappeared from the house, running out to the yard with the other kids.

               “Are you sure you don’t want to go play with them, Harry?” Severus asked. “They’re all nice kids.”

               “Delilah, Grace, and Adina are all good girls,” Tori said encouragingly. “And you know Ruth.”

               Harry shook his head again.

               “Maybe when Terrell gets here, you can join the boys for some fun, hmm?” Tori decided as she picked up a platter of Bolognese risotto to take outside.

               “Here, allow me,” Severus said, taking the platter from her.

               “Thank you, Severus. You know, Samuel and Joshua should be back by now. I swear, I can’t send that man off to do anything in a timely manner.”

               Severus snorted as he carried out the platter to the two tables pushed together. Harry followed him out, staying as close as possible to his father. Severus set the platter down in the center where there was still room. The tables were covered with food such as cheese and vegetable platters, bangers and mash, and all kinds of sweets at the end. Severus waved both his hands over the table, setting heating charms over what needed it and cooling charms over the desserts. Once that was done, Severus looked down at Harry.

               “Are you doing okay, Harry?”

               Harry shrugged up at his father.

               “If you need, we can always take a break in the upstairs parlor away from all the noise. Would you like to do that now?”

               Harry shrugged, then shook his head.

               “Okay, let me know if you change your mind.”

               Harry lifted his arms up, and Severus obligingly picked him up, resting him on his hip. Severus brushed Harry’s hair out of his face.

               “How about,” Severus started, “you help me make some punch and we’ll pour some cups for all the kids to grab and go?”

               Harry shrugged.

               “No, I need a yes or a no,” Severus insisted. When Harry did nothing, Severus brought his hand up threatening close to Harry’s neck. “Am I going to have to tickle an answer out of you?”

               Harry scrunched his neck, but he smiled as he shrugged again.

               “That’s it!” Severus tickled Harry’s neck, and Harry giggled as he wriggled around in Severus’s arms.

               “Yes, I want to help,” Harry finally said.

               “That’s much better,” Severus said, smirking at his son. He carried Harry inside to the kitchen to start the punch for the kids.

               Another hour passed and it seemed the guests were never ending, but the craziness seemed to die down some. Harry stood behind Severus while his father talked to Samuel and another dark-skinned man. He missed whatever jokes they laughed about as he was more focused on watching his surroundings.

There were people everywhere, it seemed, and they were busy catching up with other strangers all over the yard, hugging and laughing and sitting next to each other. Kids ran about with each other, playing with one thing or another. Harry saw Esther and another small, lighter skinned girl dart between and even under tables. The other girl had thick hair that stuck up everywhere even without definitive curls, and she chased after Esther, moving her hands every now and then when the two girls made eye contact. Harry moved closer to Severus when a couple people walked out of the house and toward them, pausing in front of Samuel and the other man.

“Hey, Isaiah,” Samuel said, pulling the man into a brief hug, patting his back. “You made it; thank you for coming, man, it’s never the same without you.”

“Mother would have killed me if I didn’t show up, you know that,” the man, Isaiah said.

“Yeah, I’ve seen how Addie gets,” Samuel smirked. He turned to hug the tall lady in glasses at Isaiah’s side. “How are you, Imani?”

“I’m good, Sam,” she said. “It’s so good to see you again. And your kids! They’re getting so big.”

“I know! I try to push them back down, but they’re on some kind of growth spell or something. I may need to resort to the Potions Master here. What do you got to keep them small?”

“I wish I had an answer,” Severus said with a small smile.

Harry suddenly heard Joshua’s voice, and his head snapped in its direction. He spotted Joshua talking to a lanky teenager wearing thin spectacles and a blue and bronze scarf. He had a low fade haircut with two carved lines on either side of his afro textured hair. The teen ruffled Joshua’s curls while laughing at something Joshua had said. The teen pointed to the house and said something that Joshua nodded to before the older boy took off inside.

Joshua smiled all the same while he turned just enough to spot Harry. His eyes lit up and Joshua ran toward the small group chatting away.

“Hey, Harry!” Joshua greeted.

Harry slid behind Severus more, hiding behind his father’s legs while the adults around them smirked and chuckled. Severus crossed his arms, staring down at the boys with an amused look while he waited.

               “What are you doing?” Joshua said, smiling as he walked around Severus, chasing after Harry. “You can’t hide behind your daddy forever. Come on.”

               Joshua grabbed one of Harry’s hands and pulled him away from Severus. Harry hesitated at first, reluctant to let go of his father’s leg, but gave in to Joshua’s pull and allowed himself to be dragged away closer to the mass of people. Halfway around a table, Harry lost his nerve and jerked his hand free from Joshua’s grasp, then froze in his track.

               “What’s wrong?” Joshua asked. Harry hugged himself and looked back at Severus, who had gone back to chatting with Samuel and the other adults around them. Joshua followed his look, then scanned the yard full of family and sighed. “Is it too much?”

               Harry shrugged, not saying anything.

               “I know somewhere we can go!” Joshua said with a big grin. “Come here.”

               Joshua grabbed Harry’s hand again and ran off to the side this time, away from the crowd and toward the field. He stopped in front of a huge tree that had wooden steps nailed into it. Harry looked up and saw a small, but ornate treehouse supported by the branches of two trees intertwining. It looked like a large, wooden doghouse, complete with a name plate that read “Joshua’s Secret Lair.” A railing wrapped around the entire structure, and a thick rope like material ran from inside the tree house all the way to the ground across the yard.

“Go on, quickly,” Joshua said. “Before intruders see.”

Harry climbed up the steps and at Joshua’s insistence, pushed at the bottom of the treehouse, revealing a flap of wood that pushed open and let Harry crawl up inside. Joshua followed in after him.

Inside the tree house were shelves of knick knacks ranging from figurines to stones, and on the walls were a couple posters of footballers, one of Bobby Moore and one of Diego Marandona. The rope Harry had seen was for a zipline that was anchored to the trunk of the tree outside the back window, and it zipped out the open door above the railing and all the people below, ending in the soft grass at the other end of the yard. In a small window to the right of the door was a small telescope pointing up at the sky.

“Do you like it?” Joshua asked.
               “It’s cool,” Harry said.

“This is my getaway when I need a break from all the girls,” Joshua said. “Dad and I built it last summer. It’s spelled so we can’t fall over the railing, even if we tried. Only the zipline lets us go over. And it’s weatherproof, so even a bad storm won’t ruin it or knock it down. Dad kept promising me we would build one since I was like six. He always keeps his promises, sometimes it just takes a while for him to, though.”

Joshua walked over to the telescope and looked through it, angling it at the family and adjusting the focus of the lens. He motioned Harry to come over to his side.

“Look,” Joshua said, urging Harry to look through the lens. “There’s our dads.”

Harry squeezed one eye shut and looked through the lens, and he saw his father and Samuel sitting at one of the tables with Tori and another black woman, all talking and smiling about something.

“That’s Aunt Chantelle,” Joshua said, and Harry focused on the other woman sitting at the table. “Her and Mum are Grandma Addie’s only daughters and I think she’s also the oldest.”

Joshua gently pushed Harry away so he could survey the grounds through the telescope, then let Harry look through it again.

“Those are her daughters: Adalyn, April, and Alivia.”

Harry spotted three teen girls sitting side by side and micro-braiding the hairs of three younger girls sitting in the grass in front of them.

“Their dad doesn’t come around often. He’s a bit of a weirdo, anyway. Now, the girls on the ground are Zuri, Delilah, and Grace. They’re Uncle William and Aunt Destiny’s kids.”

Joshua adjusted the telescope until it was pointing at a couple who were engaged in conversation with Addie and her husband. Joshua then spotted the young wild haired girl who was still playing with Esther on the playground. She was currently running up the slide, Esther attempting to copy her.

“That’s Adina,” Joshua said as he let Harry look through the telescope. “She’s their youngest, just turned five last month. You’d think we all never see each other with how we act at these events, but we all were at her birthday, too.”

Joshua angled the telescope back to where Addie and her husband were talking to William and Destiny. A cleanshaven man in a casual suit sitting next to William picking at a plate of food in front of him while joining in the conversation now and then.

“That’s Uncle Elijah. He’s not married or anything, but he’s pretty cool. He runs a quill shop in Diagon Alley. Any feather you want, engraved, bedazzled, or bewitched; he’s the man you go to. Oh look—Auntie Judith is here with Chloe. She’s Dad’s sister.”

Joshua leveled the telescope on a short, curvy woman in a high neck pink top with black pants stepped out of the house with a miniature version of herself at her side, wearing a pink floral top and black pants to match her mother. Samuel stood up from his seat and embraced his sister before saying something to his niece, who shyly smiled. She looked about Harry’s age, and Iris and Ruth ran up to her and dragged her off in their games.

Harry pulled away from the telescope and his eyes scanned over the large gathering, taking in all the people Joshua was trying to point out and introduce him to. Joshua readjusted the telescope once more and swiveled around with it till he found who he was looking for.

“There’s Uncle Isaiah and Aunt Imani,” he said, gesturing for Harry to look through the scope. “And right next to them is Cela and Terrell.”

Harry’s eyes moved from the two adults to the teens sitting on either side of their parents. He remembered Terrell as the boy Joshua had been talking to earlier.

“He’s like the big brother I never had,” Joshua said. “He’s also the only other boy in our whole family. We always hang out and play football when the family gets together like this. He goes to Hogwarts. You know, in case your dad ever takes you there and you happen to run into him. He’s a fourth year and he’s on the quidditch team for Ravenclaw. He’s pretty cool.”  

As Joshua prattled on, Harry pulled away from the telescope and took to biting his thumbnail and staring at the stained wood of the railing as he listened to Joshua talk about all the fun things they could do now that there was three of them.

“Pretty brilliant, isn’t it?” Joshua asked, looking at Harry.

Harry shrugged as he kept staring at the railing outside the window.

Joshua’s smile slowly fell as he took in Harry’s face, then looked back down at the family. He sighed as he leaned against the window frame.

“I guess it’s kind of a lot, too. We’re a big family. And everyone’s magical, so it gets kind of chaotic sometimes.” Joshua snorted and smiled as he stood up straighter. “I grew up in it, but it’s all new to you. You know, it really just means there’s more love to go around. Even for you.”

“It’s too big,” Harry finally said. “I can’t remember everyone.”

“Well, I’m not giving you a pop quiz when we go back down.” Joshua laughed playfully, earning a small smile from Harry. “You don’t have to know who everyone is today or even a month from now for the next kid’s birthday. Besides, do you know how many times I’ll call Alivia “Zuri” or Uncle Williams “Uncle Elijah” when I don’t see their faces right away? They all get it. We joke around about it.”

               “I never had so much family before,” Harry said.

               “You Snapes are honorary members of the Bell family.”

               “But your last name is Brown.”

               “I know,” Joshua smiled fondly. “Ready to go back down?”

               “Not really,” Harry admitted.

               “Oh, come on,” Joshua insisted as he pulled on a harness attached to the cable. He dragged the harness over to Harry and strapped him in it. “It’ll be fun! Maybe we can start a game of football and play against our parents.”

               “What’s this?” Harry asked as he tried to adjust himself in the harness that felt awkward around his legs and hips.

               “It’s a zipline harness,” Joshua said as he pulled a handlebar into the treehouse from the back window. He urged Harry through the door and toward the railing. “Here, pick up your feet and I’ll give you a push.”

               Harry looked over the railing and down at the ground far below them. He trusted Joshua, however, and the harness felt secure on him, so he lifted his feet up.

               “Go, Harry!” Joshua said, pushing Harry to get the zipline going before running into the treehouse, then running back out and grabbing the handlebar, lifting his knees as the motion kicked his zipline into action.

               Harry squealed in delight as the air whipped around him as he traveled high above everyone’s heads. Severus looked up from where he was sitting and smiled as he watched Harry zipline down from the treehouse, Joshua close behind. Samuel also noticed the kids, smiling momentarily before shaking his head.

               “One at a time, kids!” he shouted.

               Samuel ran to the end of the zipline and held his arm out for Harry.

               “Gotcha!” he said as he spelled the boy free of the harness. Harry was still laughing from the excitement of the freefalling experience.

Samuel held out his other arm for Joshua who was right behind Harry.

“I don’t know if I’ve got you,” Samuel said, then as Joshua slammed into his arm, Samuel stumbled around playfully, spinning with the boys, who laughed harder. “Whoa! Whoa!”

Samuel fell over in the grass with the two kids landing on his chest. He grunted as he said, “You’re safe now, boys.”

Joshua and Harry were still laughing as the pushed themselves up, then helped to pull Samuel to his feet. Samuel herded the two boys toward the group, where the other girls were asking for turns on the zipline, but their attention was quickly diverted to Samuel, who hopped up on one of the tables.

“I’d like to make a toast,” Samuel said, holding up his cup of water toward where Joshua and Harry had taken seats next to Terrell, “to my little man, Joshua, who’s nine years old today. What!?” Samuel shook his head while everyone clapped and whistled for Joshua, who stood up and beckoned toward himself with both hands, encouraging more applause, earning laughs from the adults and a few waded up napkin throws. Samuel chuckled.

“That’s my boy right there,” Samuel said, “all personality, absolutely no shame. Happy Birthday, son.”

Joshua sat back down with a big grin as everyone wished him a happy birthday.

               “It’s also Valentine’s Day, so,” Samuel looked at Tori, who was sitting in between her mother and sister, her chin resting in her hand as she quirked her brows at her husband. “To my beautiful . . . my beautiful wife, Torianne; where would I be without you? You are my first and best thought of every morning and you are an amazing mother to our kids, and our family that keeps growing. I love you, baby, and I can’t wait to bring our bundle of joy into this world. Our little . . . little . . .”

               Most of the family held their breath in tense silence as they waited to hear the gender of the new baby. Samuel paused for a moment with a smirk, winking at Tori, who rolled her eyes and motioned for him to go on.

               “Our little princess, Jemima Rose Brown.”

               Everyone cheered, though there were also several shouts of “I knew it” and “Of course.” Samuel jumped off the table and headed straight for his wife to pull her into a kiss.

               “This family needs more guys,” Terrell said, shaking his head.

               “I know, right?” Joshua agreed, looking up at Terrell with an exasperated face.

               “Hey, little man,” Terrell said, jerking his head at Harry. “You know how to play football?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “We have to teach him,” Joshua said, jumping out of his seat and dragging Harry away, Terrell following them. “Terrell’s the best. You’ll be a pro in no time.”

               The boys spent thirty minutes teaching Harry the game before several of the girls wanted to play as well. At first, it was boys against girls (which was very unfair as it was five to three), and then Terrell managed to bait his father, who baited the other parents, and soon it was kids against adults. Severus refused to join and decided to watch on the side with Tori. When everyone was covered in mud and the score was unknown to either side, the game ended with a truce. The parents spelled their kids clean and then cleaned up themselves. Cake was brought out and everyone sang to Joshua, and he blew out his candles enthusiastically. While everyone at cake, Joshua opened his gifts from the family.

               It was nearing four in the afternoon when the party ended, and everyone started packing up to leave. Parents were saying goodbyes quietly before carrying their sleeping children through the floo. Severus assisted in clean up where he could, but as the last few guests disappeared, he noticed Harry and Iris yawning as they played a board game with Joshua and Ruth. Esther was napping on the couch.

               “Thanks for your help,” Samuel said as he took the dish Severus was holding. “But really, you can go home anytime. We’ve got it from here. Besides, your kids aren’t much longer for this world. I don’t think mine are either.”

               Severus snorted and smiled at his kids.

               “You know,” Samuel continued, “this has been on my mind, but did you ever figure out how floo powder ended up in the Dursleys’ fireplace to begin with?”

               “Well, Albus admitted to visiting the residence the night before to collect pictures from Petunia. It must have been residue from that.”

               “Yeah, I looked into that.” Samuel frowned. “Floo powder completely breaks down and dissolves in four to six hours when exposed to oxygen. It’s why we keep it in airtight containers. That means either Albus isn’t telling us something or . . .”

               Severus sucked in a breath.

               “Someone broke into the house.”

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
For those who are wondering, Addie is white and married a black man, resulting in mixed kids. From there, well, there’s a lot of color. This is something I wish I could see more of in many published works: diversity, and diversity that isn’t just black and white, kind of like my own family. Big, mixed, and colorful. Even Harry potter was lacking in this.
A Bittersweet Day by krosi

               Severus woke early the next morning with a start, wondering how late it was and why his alarm never went off. It took him a moment to realize that it was a Saturday, and he had no classes to attend to that day. It had been a long week, with Harry returning to school and remaining behaved, thank Merlin, and Iris was excited to be apart of her dance school’s ballet production of Cinderella, a shortened version of the ballet for the school’s age range of toddler to ten-year-olds.

               Severus yawned as he stretched and climbed out of bed reluctantly, moving around his room as he dressed and readied for the day. He thought back to his conversations with Samuel and Albus throughout the week about the floo powder in the Dursley’s fireplace that started this whole chapter of his life with Harry. It was a frightening thought that another wizard—an intruder—had been inside the Dursley residence most likely looking for Harry Potter, and not with good intentions. Severus had asked Harry where he had been earlier that same day, and Harry said he had taken a nap in the cupboard since he wasn’t at school. Bringing up the subject of his old homelife brought tears to Harry’s eyes, so Severus spent several minutes after that talk holding and rocking Harry. He prayed that with time, Harry would heal from the trauma Petunia caused him.

               With the information Harry supplied, Samuel theorized that whoever may have broken into the house did so while Petunia was out and used no magic while in the house so as not to draw attention. It would make sense why no one would have found Harry as it would be unusual to look for a child in a cupboard. This also meant that someone had to have been surveilling the Dursely residence for a while, studying their schedules and movements to obtain the best opportunity to sneak into the house. Floo powder was useful as it left no trace once it was completely dissolved, and it wasn’t a magic the Ministry’s Trace could detect.

               None of this news settled well with Severus. He was glad Harry was with him now as clearly the blood wards at Petunia’s were failing to hold true and protect his son from outside danger. Albus explained that the blood wards were a two-way street: both parties had to see the residence as Harry’s home, and while Harry may have at one time considered it home, Petunia did not see Harry as a part of her family, and less a part of her home.

               And what was worse, Harry’s homelife situation was all over muggle and magical news. While Severus managed to keep his name and house out of the papers, everyone knew Harry was no longer at his relatives, and that he was living with a biological relative. It would not take someone with magical ties long to dig up information on the Potters and possible friends, family, and relationships.

               However, Samuel and Albus had presented the case to the Auror department, and several aurors were actively investigating the situation. Severus could only hope that whoever it had been would not pursue Harry any further than they already had, especially now that Harry lived on the border of the magical community surrounded by several wizards and witches. He knew finding the culprit would be very low at the moment as the only clue was the floo powder in the fireplace Harry had found and used to floo out of Petunia’s house and into his own.

               On happier thoughts, Severus had managed to schedule an adoption date for Harry, this time, at a wizarding court, which would transfer over to the muggle world. It was a much faster process and Severus wanted to have something good to celebrate with Harry that had no relation to Petunia. Harry was very excited to have his legal name become “Snape,” and that made Severus smile. Those plans were for later that afternoon.

               Severus exited his bedroom and walked down the hall slowly, pausing in front of Harry’s bedroom first but not surprised to find the bedroom empty. He moved on to the next room bedroom, smiling at his daughter who was curled up under her blankets snuggling her stuffed kneazle. She’d sleep all day if he let her. He gently shook her shoulder, and she stirred.

               “Time to wake up, honey,” he said softly, and Iris mumbled under her breath before sitting up with a yawn.

               He left her to do her usual things and headed downstairs, following the smell of coffee. As much as he loved freshly brewed coffee in the morning, he kind of hoped Harry would sleep in one of these days and enjoy life as the young kid he was.

               He found Harry sitting at the dining table, yawning and rubbing his eyes. Severus paused next to him, resting a hand on Harry’s back.

               “Did you sleep well, Harry?” Severus asked.

               “Yeah,” Harry said. “I’m just still sleepy.”

               “You know, you can always sleep in whenever you want. I appreciate the coffee every time you make it, but don’t feel obligated to make it every morning. I’ll live if it’s not ready the moment I wake up.”

               “I like making you coffee.”

               “I know. I’m just reminding you. Is there anything you want for breakfast?”

               “No.”

               “As usual,” Severus said as he poured a cup of coffee. He took a small sip then said, “I’ll let Iris decide when she gets down here. I’m going to check for mail; I’ll be right back.”

               Harry nodded and rested his head in his arms, staring after his father as Severus stepped outside of his house with the cup of coffee. Severus waited a moment, leaning back against the door. He always let Tum outside every night before bed so the owl could hunt for himself before picking up his daily newspaper and other letters should he receive any. Occasionally, he’d see a ministry owl return with Tum if the load is too heavy, but those were rare and usually due to educational plan changes on the Ministry’s behalf for Hogwarts.  

               A few moments passed and Severus took another sip of his coffee as he waited. He saw a flutter of feathers in the sky, and he held out the cup, spelling it to float in the air before letting it go to take the paper Tum carried. Severus held an arm out for the eagle owl to land on, and Tum’s gripped Severus’s arm in his massive talons with one leg then he held out the paper for Severus to take with the other.

               “Thank you, Tum,” Severus said, giving the bird a stroke on the beak.

               Another deep hoot sounded above them, and a great horned owl slowly circled above as it descended from the sky toward Severus, a rolled parchment in its grasp.

               “You’re new,” Severus said as Tum hopped to a railing while the new bird hovered above Severus, holding out the parchment while refusing Severus’s offer to land on his arm.

               “Suit yourself,” Severus said while he took the parchment from the bird, which began flying away almost immediately.

               Severus unrolled the parchment one-handedly.  

               The Daily Prophet fell from his grasp.

               “We know where you live. We know who you are. The Boy-Who-Lived will pay for his crimes. Hand him over or your whole family will burn in fiendfyre.”

               Severus’s eyes widened as he felt his heart lurch. He looked up at the retreating owl and frowned.

               “Hey!” he called to it. He whistled sharply. “Come back here!”

               The bird did not respond to his calls. It flew away faster.

               “Tum, fetch,” Severus ordered, pointing at the bird.

               The large eagle owl took flight, chasing after the great horn, catching up to the bird quickly. The great horn spun and lashed out at Tum with its talons, forcing Tum to stop suddenly in the air. Tum did not retreat. He lashed back with his own talons.

               The two birds danced briefly in the air, sizing the other up and trying to claw at each other.

               Then, the great horn dropped in a daring dive, Tum following at a slower pace. The great horn leveled out and retreated to the sky, flying too fast for Tum to pursue. The bird disappeared in the clouds.

               Tum returned to Severus, who had taken his wand out to hex the bird, but the moving target had been too difficult to aim at. Clearly, the bird had been trained to deliver and retreat as quickly as possible. Tum landed on the rail and gave a low grumble, as if apologizing for failing to catch the other bird.

               Severus shifted his weight from one foot to the other as he stared briefly in the direction the owl had gone before glancing back at the note, his knuckles white from gripping it so tightly. He wanted to tear it to shreds, burn it, or even feed it to the owl that had delivered it, but he could not act on any of those impulses. This was new evidence, and it may be related to who had broken into the Dursley residence. The aurors might be able to detect some kind of signature magic off of it. Still, the note drained the color from Severus’s face.

               He took several moments to collect himself. He shoved the note in a shirt pocket for now before picking up the paper he had dropped and snatching his coffee out of the air. He stepped back inside the house, Tum following him to head to his birdcage.

               Iris must have decided to have cereal that morning if the mess in the kitchen was anything to go by. Severus paused in the doorway.

               Harry and Iris were standing in the middle of the kitchen with guilty smiles. Cereal was scattered all over the counter. There was also milk splattered all over the counter as well where it clearly had been attempted to be poured into two bowls before the jug had been dropped on the floor, crushed and empty, and a large pool of milk swirled around the kids’ feet. Severus pinched the bridge of his nose.

               “Sorry, Daddy,” Iris said. “We were just trying to make breakfast by ourselves.”

               “I can clean it,” Harry said, clasping his hands behind his back.

               “So can I,” Severus said. He flicked his wand at the mess in the kitchen and everything vanished. “Both of you, sit down at the table please.”

               The two kids hurried out of the kitchen, taking their seats at the table before turning in their seats to watch Severus.

               Severus set the paper and his coffee down.  opened the fridge, then closed his eyes as he realized that the dropped jug was the last gallon of milk they had had. He shut the fridge and looked at his children, offering the best smile he could muster. Now he had to make a grocery list.

               “Who wants oatmeal instead? Toast? Yogurt?”

               “Can I have hotcakes?” Iris asked.

               “I do not believe that was an option.”

               “But I don’t want oatmeal.”

               “Then there’s toast or yogurt. I think we still have some blueberries I can add to the yogurt if you want.”

               “Fine,” Iris mumbled. “I’ll have yogurt.”

               “Me too,” Harry agreed.

               Severus scooped up yogurt into two plastic cups, layering it with blueberries and some crumbled granola. Once the cups were filled, he grabbed a spoon for each one and then set the breakfast in front of each kid. He leaned between them as he asked, “Orange juice or water?”

               “Orange juice,” the two chorused.

               Severus made their drinks and set them in front of the kids. He sat at the head of the table with his coffee and the Daily Prophet, but he didn’t read the paper. Instead, he sipped his coffee as he watched his two kids eat. He couldn’t bring himself to eat anything. The weight of the note hidden in his shirt pocket was heavy, and it pushed down any appetite. He needed an auror to see this as soon as he could send his kids off to play until their appointment later that afternoon.

               When the two had polished off the yogurt and their juice, and Harry and drank all his nutrition potion, they took off running back upstairs while Severus cleaned up. He realized that with the way Harry was eating lately, he would no longer need the nutrition potion. It was such a happy thought, but Severus’s brain did not stray far from the threat he had received that morning.

               Heading to the fireplace, Severus threw a handful of floo powder in, and when flames appeared, he stuck his head in and called out for the Auror Department at the Ministry. An older woman appeared before him.

               “May I help you?” she asked.

               “I need to speak to the auror taking lead on the Floo Powder in Muggle Residence Case,” Severus said. “The case number is 10A3578.”

               Severus had memorized the number as soon as it had been given to him so he could stay up to date on the progress of the case.

               “Hold tight,” the woman said.

               Severus waited as the woman walked out of sight, leaving the office space the fireplace was connected to where several other workers took care of paperwork and filing while awaiting any calls. After a few moments, a dark-haired man in a maroon robe stood before Severus.

               “Mr. Longbottom,” Severus greeted, a bit taken aback. “You’re leading this case?”

               “Severus,” Frank Longbottom greeted in return. “I am very interested in this case and made sure to take lead on it. Anyone targeting young Mr. Potter can only be a supporter of You-Know-Who.”

               “I see,” Severus said. He paused for a moment before asking, “How’s your wife?”

               “Healing more every day,” Frank said, nodding his head confidently. “She remembers more of her past with each session at the Mind Healer’s. She spends most of her day tending to our son, happy to finally be well enough to remember she even had a son. I think she’ll make a full recovery from . . . that night.”

               Severus closed his eyes. Shortly after Voldemort’s fall, Frank and his wife, Alice, had been captured by a few of the dark wizard’s followers. Those wizards tortured Frank and Alice for nearly an hour before help managed to arrive. The Death Eaters, as Voldemort’s followers were called, were captured and imprisoned. However, the two fearless aurors were not well. Alice had taken the worst hits and her memory had been completely erased. Meanwhile, Frank had been a bit scrambled from the torture. He spoke in strange riddles that sounded backwards most of the time, and he was very jittery. Thankfully, they were not lost causes, and over the years had improved. Frank fully recovered two years ago and returned to work quickly while Alice continued to heal.

               “You wanted to speak about the case?” Frank asked, pulling Severus from his thoughts.

               “Yes,” Severus said. “I . . . received a very concerning note this morning.”

               “May I come through?” Frank asked, sounding very intrigued.

               “Please do.”

               Severus pulled out of the flames and stepped back, leaving the connection open so Frank could simply step through into his home. The flames grew as Frank emerged from the fireplace, then, they extinguished themselves.

               “Do you have the note?” Frank asked.

               Severus reached into his shirt pocket and pulled it out, handing it over to the auror.

               Frank read the note first, then shook his head slowly at it. He turned the parchment over repeatedly, then pulled his wand out and cast a few spells.

               “Have you received any notes like this before?” Frank asked.

               “Never. This is the first.”

               “Did you see the owl?”

               “It was a great horned owl, I think. Those are the ones with the tufts, right? It wouldn’t let me touch it or even come close to me. It just made sure I got the note then took off.”

               “I can’t pick up any magic off the note, unfortunately. And without that owl, we can’t identify an owner or place a tracker on it. This worries me, however, so I’d like my team to come by and place up some new security wards around your house. We don’t want to risk anything happening to you or your kids. This will not be taken lightly.”

               “They claim to know who I am and where I live. Their owl found my home, for Merlin’s sake. How can I even go out in public without fearing they might try something like . . .” Severus didn’t even want to name the possibilities.

                “A public attack would draw too much attention. I do not believe you need to fear that. We are dealing with someone who does not want to be noticed or seen. They prefer working in the shadows and leaving no trace of their presence behind. This is someone who is more likely to come to you directly than try anything in a public space with witnesses. That is why I am more concerned about warding your house and making sure no one can get through them without your express permission.”

               “I can’t live like this. Harry deserves better after what he’s been through.”

               “We will find this person, Severus. I promise you that. Now, let me call my team up and we’ll begin work around your property. It may take a couple hours, but we’ll just need you and your kids to stay inside while we work on this. We don’t need anyone getting zapped accidentally while wards shoot up.”

               “Of course. Do whatever you need to.”

               Frank used the fireplace to call his team. Severus moved to his study to sit for a moment and breathe. While the extra security was nice, someone was after his kid. Someone was willing to hurt his family to get what they wanted. He couldn’t let that happen. Why today of all days did this have to start now? Severus stared down at the piles of essays that needed grading, and his notes for the nest House meeting that needed revision. How could he focus on anything with such a threat replaying in the back of his mind over and over? He closed his eyes and practiced his occlumency, hoping it might clear his mind enough for him to get some work done.

               The house phone rang, startling Severus.

               It was rare for the house phone to ever ring. So it took him a moment to find where it was located in the house, which was in a corner of the kitchen mounted to the wall.

               “Snape residence,” Severus answered.

               “Hi, Sev,” Dahlia’s voice said on the other side. “It’s me, I was hoping we could talk about my next weekend with Iris.”

               “What, did you forget how to floo call?” Severus asked.

               “In a muggle café right now,” Dahlia muttered through her teeth quietly. “They had a phone line available. Look, I was hoping I could move my weekend up to next weekend. My parents are finally back in town from a business trip, and they’d love to see their granddaughter.”

               “I feel like you just had your time with her.”

               “Well, I feel like I don’t see my daughter enough, but you don’t hear me complaining.”   

               “No, you like to do that behind my back. Along with piercing our daughter’s ears. You know she got an infection from that.”

               “That’s not my fault the lady didn’t know what she was doing,” Dahlia snapped. “She should have told me what I needed to do with Iris’s piercings, and I would have showed Iris as well. Besides, Iris wanted her ears pierced and she looked so cute with her birthstones. But of course, you would find some reason to remove them.”

               “I had no choice but to remove them. And you and I need to discuss things like that before you go piercing our daughter’s skin with needles.”

               “Is that Mummy?” Iris asked as she ran into the kitchen, wearing a pink tutu over her clothes.

               Severus paused, ignoring Dahlia’s voice as he stared at his daughter for a moment before saying, “Yes, it is. She has a question for you.”

               Severus handed her the phone and stepped back.

               “Hi, Mumma,” Iris greeted happily, a big smile on her face.

               The phone was loud enough for Severus to hear Dahlia’s voice.

               “Oh, hi, sweetie! How are you?”

               “I’m good.”

               “How’s school going?”

               “It’s okay. Guess what? My dance class is doing the Cinderella ballet. I get to be the Autumn Fairy because my hair matches the dress so perfectly. Wait till you see it! Are you coming to the show?”

               “I would love to! You would make the perfect little fairy. You’ll have to tell me all the details. And you know what, you can do that at our next visit. What do you say about moving our weekend to next weekend?”

               “Next weekend?” Iris’s smile fell the slightest bit.

               “Grandma and Grandpa would love to see you again, and it’s so rare that they have the chance to. What do you think? Want to come visit with Mummy next weekend?”

               “Err.” Iris looked up at her father.

               Severus shrugged his shoulders, trying hard not to sway her choice, which his choice would be a flat-out no. This had to be Iris’s decision.

               “Er, yeah, okay,” Iris said, smiling again.

               “That’s so wonderful. We’re going to have so much fun together, I promise. Can you put your dad back on the phone?”

               Severus held his hand out for the phone and Iris handed it to him.

               “Happy now?” he asked, ready to hang up the conversation with Dahlia.

               “You’re just upset that she agreed. But yes, I’m very happy. Anyway, now that that is taken care of, I will pick her up after school on Friday and have her back to you Sunday night. Unless you’d like me to drop her off somewhere of your preference?”

               “The house will do,” Severus said dryly.

               “Great. It was nice talking to you, Severus. As always.”

               They both hung up the phone at that and Severus ran his hands down his face. What was with today? Was it jinxed? Maybe if he could start the day over and wake up again, everything will run differently. Iris spun around the kitchen in her tutu, landing in different positions as she did.

               “Mum did ballet, too, right?” Iris asked.

               “Yes,” Severus answered, turning to look at his daughter. “She was in a muggle school like you as a child, then joined Hogwarts ballet dance club to continue practicing. She was a very good dancer.”

               “Why did she stop?”

               “I’m not sure. Perhaps you can ask her that yourself.”

               Iris shrugged at that, then ran out of the kitchen. Severus snorted at her retreat. He went back to his study to attempt grading now that his mind was no longer hyper focused on the note from that morning.

 

               Later that evening, Severus sat next to Harry at the wizarding court near the Ministry of Magic. While the adoption was more of a formality and to make legal proceedings much easier, such as the name change, Harry’s wiggling form next to him told him how excited Harry was for this. Despite everything that had occurred that morning and the ongoing investigation, Severus couldn’t keep the smile off his face.

               “Do you believe it would be in Harry’s best interest for you to the child?” The judge asked Severus.

               “I do,” Severus said.

               “Young man,” the judge addressed Harry now. “Can you state your full name?”

               “Harry James Potter,” Harry said, and Severus could see how Harry resisted throwing Snape at the end.

               “How old are you?” the judge asked.

               “Six.”

               “Do you agree to Severus Snape adopting you and becoming your legal parent?”

               “Yes!” Harry said enthusiastically.

               “Do you agree to your name being changed to Harry James Potter-Snape?”

               “Yes!”  

               “I find this adoption to be in good faith and in the best interest of Harry Potter.” The judge smiled at Harry after signing a paper. “Congratulations, Harry, you are officially adopted.”

               Harry hugged Severus tightly, who returned the hug.

               Addie and Iris clapped and cheered behind them, while Tori and her kids did a mix of cheering and jazz hands. They all shook hands with the judge and a photographer took a curtesy picture of the whole family with the judge and the adoption paper. The hearing hardly lasted ten minutes, but Harry was having the best time of his life with it as he took the adoption paper and showed it off to everyone in the family. Severus allowed him to carry it as the family left the courthouse. They used the floo to head over to Diagon Alley, where everyone was treated to an ice cream at Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour.

               Severus, Addie, and Tori sat at one of the tables while the kids ran around the area playing tag while eating their ice cream. Suddenly, Harry stopped a bit too abruptly while reaching out to tag Ruth, and much of his ice cream fell off the cone and to the ground below.

               Harry’s lips quivered for a moment, and Severus almost jumped up to ask for another when Joshua held out his half-eaten ice cream to Harry. Severus smiled as he watched Joshua insist on trading their cones, and Harry handed the rest of his cone to Joshua and accepted Joshua’s chocolate ice cream, happily enjoying the treat. Joshua began eating the cone as they resumed their game.

               “How did you raise such a good kid?” Severus asked Tori.

               “Oh, that is all Joshua,” Tori said, holding her hands up. “He’s always been such a good kid. You’re doing a good job yourself, though, Severus. You’ve got some pretty brilliant kids.”

               “Look at how far Harry’s come,” Addie said, shaking her head as she watched Harry run with the other kids. “He was such a quiet, timid thing when he first showed up, and now look at him.”

               “Yeah, he became quite the terror,” Severus commented lowly.

               “He did not.” Addie swatted at Severus playfully. “He’s still a sweet boy.”

               Tori snorted and watched the kids play. After another fifteen minutes went by, then Esther ran over to her mother and held her hands out in front of her and patted the palm of one hand to the back of her other.

               “You want more?” Tori asked her, signing at the same time. “I think you’ve had enough ice cream for one day, don’t you?”

               Esther shook her head with a smile.

               “Want to share mine?” Tori asked, then she pushed her dish closer to Esther before using her hands to sign again. “It’s chocolate raspberry.”

               Esther stuck her tongue out and shook her head before running off after the other kids. Tori shrugged.

               “I offered,” she said. “How’s the investigation going? Any news on the . . . note you got?”

               “Nothing,” Severus said. “I try not to think that someone might be spying on my kids, waiting for a moment to attack them.” Severus’s heart started racing just at the thought.

               “They’ll find this awful person,” Tori said confidently. “And when they do, I’ll make sure he never sees outside of Azkaban again. He’s messing with the wrong family.”

               Severus smiled at Tori’s confidence. Perhaps everything would be okay. A death threat could simply be a threat after all, empty and not one that may be acted upon.

               Finally, everyone seemed to tire out and they sat at the table with their parents. Harry sat next to his father and leaned against him. Severus wrapped an arm around his son.

               “Are we going home, now, Daddy?” Harry asked.

               “In a minute,” Severus said. He rubbed Harry’s back soothingly. “Are you getting tired?”

               “A little.”

               “Me too,” Iris agreed.

               “I guess that’s our cue,” Tori joked as she stood up. “Come on, kids, let’s get going.”

               They said their goodbyes, then Joshua grabbed Esther as the little girl tried to run off. He playfully swung her around before carrying her while following their mother, Ruth at Tori’s side, and they headed for the floo network in the Leaky Cauldron.

               “I should head home as well,” Addie said, standing up. “Everything will turn out for the better. You’ll see, Severus.”

               Severus nodded. He stood up and held Harry’s and Iris’s hand in each of his own, leading them to the floo network to head home.

 

To be continued...
A Fiery Situation by krosi

 

               Severus watched the sky for that owl. Tum appeared with the Daily Prophet, and the owl handed over the paper. Severus accepted it and offered Tum an owl treat but he did not move from his spot. He waited for any sign of any other owls as he had taken to doing most mornings. A week had gone by since he had gotten the death threat and there was no news of any advancements on the case. He scanned the sky one last time. He tried not to stay out too long as his kids could cause trouble in a record time of ten seconds.

               Finally, when no other owls appeared, Severus stepped inside and checked on Iris and Harry. They were both eating cereal happily at their seats, their backpacks ready to go. Severus decided he would take his kids to school today as it would be the last time he saw Iris until Sunday night.

               He glanced over the Daily Prophet as he walked to the table and sat down, drinking his coffee while he waited for Harry and Iris to finish eating their breakfast. When they were done, he checked Iris’s small suitcase, making sure she had her toothbrush and pairs of socks, (he wasn’t sure what his daughter had against socks) which he ended up summoning a couple pairs and adding them to her bag. Everything else seemed to be in check, so he sent his kids up to brush their teeth before herding them out the door.

               “If I see Mum now,” Iris asked on the drive to her school, “does that mean I don’t see her next month?”

               “Usually, that’s how it works,” Severus said. “Why do you ask?”

               “I don’t know. What if I want to see her?”

               “That’s up to you, Iris. If you want to see her next month, I’m sure we can arrange something.” Not that Severus wanted Dahlia to have any more time with his daughter than what was required by the court, but Iris did occasionally want to see Dahlia outside of that scheduled time. They were rare moments, to Severus’s relief, and he wanted Iris to feel that she had some control over when she saw her mother too. He couldn’t deny Dahlia the monthly visits, but Iris could always add more in if she wanted to.

               “I was just asking,” Iris said, hugging her red-headed doll to her chest.

               “Make sure you put Honey in your suitcase, okay?” Severus said.

               “Yes, Daddy,” Iris said.

               “And Harry, be on your best behavior today, okay,” Severus said to his son.

               “I’m always on my best behavior,” Harry said.

               “Well, I’d hate to see your worst,” Severus smirked. “Mind your teachers and be kind to your classmates. I believe you have time with your counselor today, too, is that right?”

               “Yes, Daddy,” Harry said. “She has a bunny rabbit. She lets me hold him.”

               “That’s very nice of her,” Severus said, smiling at the image that brought. He pulled up to the school and opened the door for his kids to clamber out. He kissed them both.

               “I’ll miss you Iris,” Severus said. “Be good for your mother, okay?”

               “Okay. Love you, Daddy,” Iris said.

               “I love you, too, Daddy,” Harry said, waving goodbye as he followed Iris down the pathway.

               Severus watched them head inside the school before climbing back in the car. He wished his kids would always be so accepting of his hugs and kisses and “I love you’s.” He wasn’t sure what he’d do when they both became moody, angsty teenagers who found all that stuff embarrassing. He figured he’d have to force the love on them. Severus smiled before driving back to his house.

 

               That afternoon after school, Dahlia drove Iris to her parents’ house in South Kensington, London. They lived in a stunning one-bedroom apartment with high ceiling and ornate features that complimented the eighteen-hundred period decadence. Stepping up the stairs and into the building, Dahlia and Iris were greeted by a massive hall that led them to a reception room and a contemporary open plan kitchen. Iris ran over to the bow window that overlooked the gardens and fountain outside the apartment.

               “There is my grandbaby,” Louise Flater announced as she came around the dining table with arms wide open. She was a slender woman with graying, red hair that was all gathered up on top of her head in a neat updo. She wore an elegant blouse and black skirt, and her heals clicked on the floor.  

               Iris ran to her grandmother and hugged her, earning a squeeze back.

               “How have you been, dearie?” Louise asked as she led Iris to the kitchen.

               “Good, Grandma,” Iris said.

               “Here,” Louise said, handing Iris a small plate and directing her to the dining table. “I made you some shortbread biscuits—you must be famished after such a long drive. Have a seat. Would you like some tea for dunking?”

               “Yes, please, thank you,” Iris said as she hopped up into a chair. She eagerly bit into one of the biscuits while Louise poured her some tea.

               “Oh, what lovely posture you have,” Louise commented. “Ballet must be instilling some good discipline in you.”

               “I like ballet,” Iris said. “It’s fun.”

               “And you Dahlia?” Louise asked, turning her attention to her daughter. “Still working as a . . . what was it? A waitress?”

               Louise looked disgusted at the mere thought.

               “No, Mother,” Dahlia said, trying not sound exasperated. “I quit the job at the Leaky Cauldron a year ago. I told you that. Twice. I’m a Healer receptionist now.”

               Louise hmphed at that.

               “And how long will that last you? Healer—why don’t they just call them doctors? And you could have gone to school to become a doctor, or a nurse, and have a real job, not all that hocus pocus nonsense. We could still pay for your college if you reconsider.”

               “Mother, please, I don’t want to have this conversation again.”

               “I just don’t understand how such a supposedly gifted school could leave you so behind in your social status. You had such promise when you were Iris’s age, now look at you. I suppose a mother can only do so much.”

               “Mother, I’m fine. I like my job.”              

               “Well, if you must keep it, at least marry someone who can support you when you inevitably lose it. I hear you are still dating that doctor. My apologies, the healer. I’m sure he must be paid well.”

               “It doesn’t matter what he’s paid. I like him for who he is.”

               “Oh, don’t be so shallow,” Louise said, shaking her head. “Of course, it’s not all about the money, but it certainly helps to know.”

               “Dahlia!” a tall, heavyset man announced as he stepped into the room, a full beard upon his face. He kissed his daughter’s cheek.

               “Hey, Daddy,” Dahlia greeted, hugging her father, Charles Flater.

               “And who’s this?” Charles asked as he walked over to Iris, pretending to adjust his glasses. “Dahlia? Did you shrink? What happened to you?”

               Iris laughed as Charles tickled her.

               “No, Grandpa,” Iris said between fits of giggles, “it’s me. Iris.”

               “Oh, that makes so much more sense,” Charles said before landing a quick kiss on Iris’s cheek. “How are you, Iris? Look at you, growing up so fast. I think you were yay high when I last saw you.”

               “I’m six now,” Iris said.

               Charles clutched at his chest as if in shock.

               “Six!? How is that possible?”

               “I grow every day, Grandpa.” Iris said.

               “A strange phenomenon,” Charles patted Iris’s head before looking back at his daughter. “How have you been, sweetie? That healer treating you well still?”

               “Of course, Daddy, he’s been very good to me. Actually, I wanted to ask you and Mother if . . ..”

               A phone rang loudly through the house.

               “Hold that thought, darling,” Charles said before moving quickly to answer the phone.

               “Of course,” Dahlia muttered, forcing a smile at the ground while Charles answered the phone enthusiastically, striking up a business conversation that was sure to take longer than a half hour. Dahlia sighed and looked up at her mother, who was fawning over Iris as she poured more tea for her.

               “Mother, Jason asked me to meet with him at the hospital this evening, and I was wondering if you could watch Iris for me while I run out.”

               “Absolutely not,” Louise said, frowning at her daughter. “I did my due diligence child rearing and look where that got me. My job is to spoil the grandchild, not raise her. Take her with you.”

               “I thought you and Dad wanted to see Iris?” Dahlia asked, giving her mother an annoyed look.

               “We did. And now we have. She’s doing marvelous despite where she’s coming from. She might even become successful. Time will tell.”

               “You can’t give me one hour.”

               “Oh, don’t try to pity yourself, honestly. You were given everything you wanted growing up. Now you must figure things out for yourself.”

               “Right,” Dahlia snapped. “Everything.”

               With rather formal and short goodbyes, Dahlia left her parents’ home and drove to Saint Mungo’s, pulling up behind the abandoned brick building that concealed the hospital inside. She assisted Iris out of her seat and walked into the hospital. She settled Iris in the waiting room where coloring books and crayons awaited, then found Jason in his office.

               Iris watched from where she sat with a coloring book in hand, a crayon hovering over a page with a princess. Two shades were pulled down in the office, but a third on the far end was forgotten as the two started talking to each other. The talking seemed to escalate to shouting and exaggerated hand movements, and Iris frowned as she watched shock fall on her mother’s face, her jaw dropping, and her eyes filled with hurt. Then Dahlia seemed to talk fast while Jason shook his head and talked over her.

               Iris shifted uncomfortably as she watched her mother storm out of Jason’s office teary eyed.

               “Come on, sweetie,” Dahlia said to Iris, holding her hand out to her.

               “Dahlia!” Jason called to her, but Dahlia kept walking.

               Jason ran up to them, walking at Dahlia’s side while trying to get her to look at him.

               “I don’t want to end things on bad terms with us,” Jason said. “I am this close to finding a new treatment for childhood cancer, and I can’t have any distractions and I’m personally just not ready for the kind of . . ..”

               “So, I’m a distraction, then?” Dahlia asked, glaring at Jason.

               “No, no, I didn’t mean it like that.” Jason stumbled over his words.

               “I get it, okay?” Dahlia said. “I’m leaving. Goodbye.”

               Jason sighed as Dahlia pushed past him and dragged Iris out of the hospital and back to her old beat-up car. She helped Iris into her seat, then climbed in the front seat, her hands on the wheel ready to go, but she paused and stared at the building in front of them for a moment before a sob broke through and she closed her eyes and covered her mouth, trying to fight back.

               “I’m sorry, Mumma,” Iris said, giving her mother a sad look. She wasn’t entirely sure what just happened, but it left her mother visibly upset. “Are you okay?”

               Dahlia breathed for a couple seconds, collecting herself before nodding and saying, “I’m okay, sweetie. I’m okay. Let’s go home.”

               Dahlia put the car in drive and pulled out of the lot.

               The ride to Dahlia’s small house was quiet, and they reached the red brick building in an hour, leaving London behind, and arriving in a small town. The house was a bungalow, and a very dated one at that, with chipping paint and shingles missing on the roof. Houses around the bungalow appeared updated and remodeled, enhancing the antique house’s look. The inside was just as old, with wooden cupboards in the kitchen and a rocky dining table in the carpeted living room. As evening was now upon them, Dahlia made sandwiches for Iris, but barely ate herself. She read the final chapter of Charlotte’s Web with Iris before tucking her daughter in and retiring for the night. Iris was sure she heard a few sobs in the middle of the night.

               The next day was another quiet one as Dahlia assisted Iris in brushing her hair and braiding it before helping Iris with her schoolwork. As noon drew near, Dahlia sent Iris to play in her room while she made lunch. Perhaps a pizza would be something good and new. Iris loved her home-baked pizzas. She could whip one up in no time using her mother’s recipe. If only it wasn’t her mother’s. Perhaps she could edit it to make it her own version.  

               While Dahlia scanned her fridge for the ingredients she’d need, she found an opened bottle of Pimm’s Number One. She knew she had lemonade, so she pulled out the bottle and her lemonade jug and mixed the two drinks. She would just have one cup to calm her nerves, cause if she didn’t, she might start crying again. Just one glass, and she would make that pizza and play with Iris again. At least she had her daughter, that was something she could rely on. Her precious baby girl.

               Dahlia drank her mixed cocktail while she worked around the kitchen. Somehow, her glass never seemed to empty, and she continued around the kitchen in a daze, building a pizza from muscle memory, forgetting to even tinker the recipe so it was nothing like her mother’s. Why did she even appease her parents? She never should have gone to their home. They could look forward to a retirement home in their future, far away from her and her daughter.

               And Jason—he was working on a special case with two young brothers who shared the same cancer. She loved that about Jason, his kind, caring side with kids, and his passion for his work. She never thought he’d sacrifice their relationship to focus on his career only. How selfish of him. Every man was a selfish, backstabbing fool. She should know that by now. Why did she keep putting herself out there just to have her heart broken again?

               Dahlia drank more of her drink. The room started to spin slightly as she set her pizza on the oven rack. She looked at the time and looked around for her timer. Where did she set that thing down?

               As she walked through the kitchen, her head spun again, and she felt nauseous. Maybe she should lie down for a minute. She collapsed on her sofa and slowly closed her eyes. Just a minute . . .  

               Iris was brushing her doll’s hair when a strange, smokey smell filled her room. She glanced out her bedroom door.

               “Mum?” she called out.

               There was no answer.

               Iris picked up her doll and walked out of her bedroom slowly. She noticed her mother asleep on the sofa, a bottle of a strange liquid and a glass sitting on the floor next to the furniture. Dahlia looked a bit ruffled, her hair sticking up all over and her eyes had bags under her eyes, probably from her lack of sleep last night. Iris paused next to her mother and tapped her shoulder.

               “Mum,” she whispered at first. When that did nothing, she shook her mother’s shoulder harder and shouted, “Mum!”

               Dahlia did not stir.

               Iris hugged her doll to her chest and walked to the kitchen. There was smoke steaming out from the oven, and something flickered inside behind the door, as if it were alive and looking for a way out. Iris slowly walked toward the oven, her head tilting curiously as she watched the thing flicker around inside, dancing to a random beat. What on earth had her mum been cooking?

               She stretched an arm out for the oven door. Her hand rested on the handle, and it felt warm, but not overly so. She pulled the door open to peek inside the oven.

               A rush of flames shot forward and Iris screamed as she fell backwards, fire licking at her face as it roared to life, the oven door dropping wide open.

               Iris back crawled away as quickly as she could, her face still feeling the heat of the fire. She stood at the kitchen entryway and watched horrified as the fire jumped for the wooden cabinets, catching and spreading, climbing higher and reaching for the curtains above the kitchen sink. Black smoke rose and started to fly for Iris.

Cradling her doll, Iris ran back to her mother.

“Mum!” she screamed, shaking her mother’s shoulders. “Mumma, wake up. There’s a fire!”

Dahlia didn’t move.

“Mum!”

Iris sniffled as he eyes filled with tears and she looked around. She saw the phone on the far wall away from the kitchen and ran over to it. She pulled it down and started to dial in the numbers her father always told her to do in an emergency. One-One-Two. Her hands shook as she held the phone up to her ear.

“One-one-two, what’s your emergency?”

“Hello? There’s a fire in the kitchen and my mumma won’t wake up.”

“Okay, sweetie, do you know your address?”

“Err, it’s uh, thirty-two Valleyview Lane in Gretatown.”

“Okay I have the fire department on their way now, can you get yourself outside of the house?”

“What about my mum?”

Iris looked back at the kitchen to see it drowned in smoke and fire leaping for more cabinets, getting closer to the carpet flooring in the living room. More tears escaped her eyes.

“Where is she?” the dispatcher asked.

“On the couch right here. She won’t wake up. I tried screaming but she won’t wake up.”

“Is there any way you can move her?”

“I can try.”

Iris let the phone hang and set her doll down as she ran back to her mother and grabbed one of her arms.

“Mum, come on,” Iris said as she tugged on her mother’s arm. She managed to drag her mother forward just a bit so her head dangled off the couch now, but Iris could not pull her mother off the couch, and she doubted she’d be able to drag her across the whole room.

“Mummy, wake up,” Iris pleaded, her eyes straying to the fire that started to eat the carpet just outside the kitchen. Smoke filled the air above them, and Iris coughed.

“Mum!” Iris cried before letting her arm go and running back to the phone.  

“She won’t wake up,” Iris sobbed, “I can’t move her and the fire’s getting bigger, and I don’t know what to do, and I’m scared. I want my Daddy.”

“Sweetie,” the dispatcher said, forcing a calm voice, “I need you to get out of the house. Get as far away from the house as you can, okay? The fire department will be there in three minutes.”

“I can’t leave my mumma—she’s gonna burn and die!”

Oh, honey.” There was a second’s pause before the dispatcher said, “Do you have any neighbors outside who can help you move your mother?”

“I’ll go look,” Iris said before letting the phone drop and running down the hall and out the front door.

She was glad to see some people stopping outside the house and staring up at the smoke. A man with a dog widened his eyes as he watched Iris run down the steps.

“Did you come out of that thing?” he asked Iris.

“I need help, my mummy’s inside and she won’t wake up.”

“Shite,” the man said, looking up at the house. He seemed to hesitate before he dropped his dog’s leash, shouting, “stay,” before running in the house with Iris next to him, another passerby to slow to grab Iris to stop her.

Iris pointed at the sofa when the got back inside, and the man rushed over to Dahlia, braving the fire that burned through the entire back of the living room and was working its way forward, enjoying the easy feeding on the old carpet that crumbled and emitted more thick black gas into the air.

The man coughed as he knocked over the alcohol bottle, taking note of that as he carried Dahlia out of the burning house.

Iris ran to the phone and grabbed her doll.

“Someone helped my mum,” she said to the dispatcher.

“That’s great, now you get out! Go!”

“Thank you,” Iris said before letting the phone hang and running out of the house.

Outside of the house, the man slowly lowered Dahlia to the ground, then rubbed vigorously at her sternum with a closed fist.

Dahlia’s breathing changed and she stirred before her eyes blinked open.

“What . . .?”

Then her eyes widened as she saw the fire, and a hand flew to her mouth. She tried to push herself up, but nearly fell back down.

“Iris!” she cried.

“Mummy!” Iris ran over to her mother and fell into her mother’s arms.
Dahlia cried as she hugged her daughter.

“Are you okay? Are you hurt?” Dahlia felt around Iris’s reddened face, feeling the heat as though she had been sunburned. “I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry. Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m okay,” Iris said. “I was scared.”

“I’m so sorry, baby. I’m so sorry.”

Dahlia sobbed as she cradled her daughter, realizing just how close she had come to lose her.

The fire department, an ambulance, and police arrived, responding to several one-one-two calls. Severus could not get there fast enough when he received a call from the police, and while they told him Iris was fine, he wanted nothing more than to apparate directly to Dahlia’s house, but unfortunately, with all the muggles surrounding the area, he could not pinpoint a good area near Dahlia’s residence he could just appear without drawing attention. She just had to live near so many muggles, didn’t she?

He packed up Harry in the car and drove to Dahlia’s residence nearly forty minutes away from his house. He nearly had a heart attack at the sight of the burned remains of Dahlia’s bungalow. Leaving Harry in the car with it running and double checking that it was parked, he jumped out of the car and ran over to where a paramedic was sitting with Iris in the grass away from all the gathering people and the firetruck that was wrapping up their hose.

“Iris!” he shouted, and Iris ran over to her father, jumping in his arms and squeezing him tightly around the neck.

“Are you okay? Are you hurt?” Severus asked, looking her over and resting a hand against her face which felt hot. He looked at the paramedic. “Is she hurt?”

               “Just a little first degree burns of the face and a little on her hands, but she’s okay,” the paramedic reassured Severus.

               “What happened, honey?” Severus asked. “Where’s your mother? Is she okay?”

               Iris nodded and pointed over to the ambulance.

               Severus thanked the paramedic before he worked his way through the crowd of people admiring the burned house and toward the ambulance, wanting to make sure Dahlia was safe and unharmed. Dahlia was standing with a paramedic and a police officer in front of the opened back of the ambulance. Another officer was filling out paperwork. As Severus neared, he paused as he took in the scene happening before his eyes.

               “Blow,” the officer said, holding a breathalyzer to Dahlia’s mouth, and she did as he said.

               Anger slowly built up in Severus’s chest as the device confirmed that Dahlia was indeed drunk. He shook his head as he turned back into the crowd. He didn’t need anymore information to piece together what must have happened.

               “Severus!” Dahlia cried, pushing through the crowd after him. “Wait, please, I can explain.”

               “I don’t want to hear it,” Severus growled without even looking back or stopping.

               “I didn’t mean for this to happen,” Dahlia said, fresh tears welling in her eyes as she persisted after her ex. “Severus, please, stop!”

               “I can’t do this anymore, Dahlia,” Severus said, still walking away. “This is the last straw.”

               “No, please, hear me out. This was an accident; it’ll never happen again. Severus, wait.”

               “Dahlia!” Severus snapped, tuning suddenly to glare at his ex. Dahlia stopped short in front of him, tears streaking down her face. “Look at you! You’re a bloody mess. And you nearly killed our daughter.” Severus hissed the last sentence through his teeth as he adjusted his hold on Iris.

               “I didn’t . . .” Dahlia choked on her breath as a sob escaped. She blinked before looking up at Severus, then up at Iris. “I’m sorry. There’s nothing I can say to make this right.”

               “These visits are over,” Severus said.

               “Please don’t do that to me,” Dahlia whispered, shaking her head.

               “I don’t know what it is you need,” Severus continued, “therapy, rehab, I don’t know, but you need some serious help, and you better do something to get your life together and figure out what really matters to you.”

               “Please don’t take my daughter from me,” Dahlia begged, her hands clasping together in front of her. “She’s all I have.”

               “You should have thought of that before you burned the damn house down with her inside it.”

               Dahlia covered her face with both of her hands in shame and regret.

               “Break this up,” a police officer said, coming over and gently pushing Dahlia and Severus apart from each other. “Come on, not in front of your kid.”

               Severus looked at Iris, and she had her hands over her ears and tears leaking from her eyes as she looked back and forth between Severus and Dahlia. He adjusted her on his hip and rested a hand on her cheek.

               “I’m sorry, honey, we’re done talking now,” Severus said. He gave Dahlia one last glare before walking away, and this time Dahlia did not follow. She looked down at the ground as an officer directed her back to his car. Iris watched her mother sadly as she was strapped into her car seat. She sniffled and started crying.

               “What’s wrong, Iris?” Severus asked. He pulled out an emergency potions kit he kept in his car and found the burn balm and began applying it to Iris’s face.

               “I opened the door and let the fire out,” Iris cried. “It’s all my fault and you’re mad at mummy.”

               “No, this isn’t your fault,” Severus said, as he rubbed more burn balm into his daughter’s face. “What you did was an accident, but then you did the right thing and called one-one-two, just like we talked about. You were very brave.”

               “Why are you mad at Mummy then?”

               Severus sighed and looked back at where Dahlia was being driven away in a police car. He didn’t want to taint Iris’s image of her mother by saying the wrong words, especially with how angry he was at Dahlia. However, he couldn’t let his daughter blame herself for today’s scary event. He brushed Iris’s hair out of her face, smiling as the burns faded away.

               “I was scared for you, Iris,” Severus said. “And for your mother, honestly. However, Dahlia should not have fallen asleep while she was cooking food in the oven, and the reason she couldn’t wake up was because she was drinking an adult drink that can make you sleepy sometimes. She should not have been drinking any adult drinks while you were on your visit with her.”

               Though, drinking was never something that had ever needed to be brought up regarding the visits. Dahlia had always been a responsible drinker for the most part, only one other time that Severus could recall did she go a little overboard at a social event. He wasn’t sure what exactly happened this weekend, but it did not excuse Dahlia’s actions.

               “But I still opened the door and let the fire out,” Iris said, rubbing her eyes.

               Severus gently took one of her hands to apply burn balm to.

               “As I’ve said, that was an accident. You did not know the fire would spread. That is not your fault.”

               “I’m not in trouble?” Iris asked.

               “No. Not at all. You are not in any trouble.”

               “I don’t want Mum to go away,” Iris said, giving Severus a sad look.

               “We’ll work something out,” Severus promised. “Later. Let’s get you home.”

               Iris cuddled her doll when Severus shut the door and moved to the front seat.

               “Are you okay?” Harry asked from his seat.

               Iris nodded and squeezed her doll as she watched her mother’s burned house fade away from view.

                

 

To be continued...
Emotions Run Wild by krosi

Harry followed Mrs. Tighe to her office on the second floor of the school. Her office was the first room to the right, and it was a small but comfortable room with two comfy chairs across from each other and a small desk pushed toward the back of the room in front of a large window that overlooked the playground. Sunlight streamed in and filled the room with natural light, but a small lamp was also lit, adding just a hint of a yellow glow.

               Harry jumped up into the plumper chair that he had taken a liking to whenever he came for his appointment, and he waited expectantly as Mrs. Tighe closed the door behind them and smiled at him.              

               “Would you like to hold Otter while we talk?” Mrs. Tighe asked.

               “Yes, please,” Harry said, nodding his head eagerly and holding his arms out to accept the bunny in question.

               Mrs. Tighe picked up her sleek black and brown rabbit from where he had been sleeping next to his cage and she handed him to Harry, who cuddled the rabbit. Otter, used to being handled and snuggled, relaxed in Harry’s arms, and closed his eyes to resume his nap while Harry gently stroked a hand down the rabbit’s back.

               “How have you been, Harry?” Mrs. Tighe asked as she sat in the chair across from Harry. She was a tall brunette with square glasses and a rectangular figure. She wore casual slacks with a pink button down, short sleeve shirt. She crossed her legs as she watched Harry pet the rabbit.

               “Good,” Harry said.

               “How’s your dad and Iris?”

               “They’re good. Iris is mad at Daddy though.”

               “Oh? Why’s that?”

               “Daddy said her mum can’t do weekends anymore and she can only see Iris with “super-vision.””

               “I see, and that makes Iris upset, doesn’t it?”

               “Yeah, she yelled at Daddy that the fire wasn’t her mum’s fault and now she won’t talk to Daddy.”

               “How does that make you feel?”

               “I don’t know. I feel bad for Iris cause now she can’t see her mummy. But Daddy says its for her own safety, but Iris says her mum wouldn’t hurt her. It’s confusing.”

               “Well, everyone has disagreements sometimes, even parents,” Mrs. Tighe said. “And I’m sure your dad and Iris’s mother have some things they have to work out between them in order to give Iris the best care she needs, even if she doesn’t see it that way right now.”

               “Like when Daddy gave me to Aunt Petunia when I was a baby?” Harry asked.

               Mrs. Tighe sat up a little in her chair and gave Harry a curious look.

               “Yes, from what your dad told me, he thought he was giving you the best care when he allowed you to stay with Aunt Petunia. Do you feel upset about that, like Iris does about not seeing her mum?”

               “Yeah, it makes me sad sometimes. Iris got to stay with Daddy but not me, and Aunt Petunia didn’t even love me.” Harry’s lower lip quivered as he felt tears well in his eyes.

               “That really hurts you,” Mrs. Tighe said. “It’s okay to feel upset, you did not deserve what Aunt Petunia did to you. But you are safe now. She can’t hurt you anymore.”

               Harry wiped at his eyes with the back of his hand then readjusted Otter in his arms. The rabbit barely stirred and continued sleeping.               

               “Have you told your daddy how you feel about him giving you to Aunt Petunia when you were a baby?”

               “No,” Harry said quietly as he patted the rabbit’s head.

               “Do you feel comfortable talking to Dad about that?”

               “I don’t know. He told me why he left me with her.”

               “Did he tell you how it made him feel though? When he made the decision to leave you with her?”

               Harry shook his head.

               “I think you should tell Daddy how you feel about it.”

               “What if it makes him feel sad?”

               “Maybe he already feels sad. Just like you do. And if you tell him about it, he’ll know that you are sad about what happened, and he can help you feel better about it. And then he might feel better about it, too.”

               “Really?”

               “Really. It’s important to share our feelings with the people we love the most, that’s how we make ourselves feel better. So how about some new homework tonight? When you have your dad alone for a minute, you talk to him about how being left with Aunt Petunia and not staying with Daddy makes you feel.”

               “Okay. I’ll tell Daddy.”

               “Okay. Would you like to hold Otter a little longer or do you want to join your friends for the last few minutes of recess?”

               “Can I go to the playground?” Harry asked.

               “Of course,” Mrs. Tighe said. She stood up and accepted Otter from Harry, who yawned as he was set down on the floor before hopping toward his cage. “Let’s go see where your friends are.”

               Mrs. Tighe led Harry out of her office and out to the playground, where Harry saw Finlay playing on the swings and ran over to him.

               “Hi, Harry,” Finlay greeted from high up in the air before he swung backward. He kicked out a foot and it dragged on the ground, slowing the swing down and stopping himself. “What took you so long?”

               “I had to talk to Mrs. Tighe,” Harry said as he jumped up on the swing and tried to make it move as he had seen Iris do many times, kicking his feet in an awkward rhythm. His start up was still a bit rough.

               “What did you talk about?” Finlay asked as he gave Harry a big push to get him going.

               “Mostly about Daddy and talking to him,” Harry answered honestly. He found a better rhythm in the air now and he swung on the swing for a couple minutes, Finlay pushing him now and then when he slowed down.

               “Want to play dinosaurs?” Finlay asked.

               “Okay,” Harry said, sticking out a foot to stop himself as he had seen Finlay do. His foot dragged a bit forcefully before he jerked to a stop, then he jumped off the swing and chased Finlay around the park, growling and holding his hands out like claws. The boys took turns chasing each other through the park, acting like little dinosaurs trying to escape the other, sliding down slides or even running up them. Finally, they faced each other off, like pachycephalosaurus’ do, eyeing each other and pawing the ground with their feet, kicking up dirt. After a minute, they charged each other.

               “Ow!” Both kids yelped and groaned after bashing their heads together. They both clutched at the top of their heads.

               “What in Heaven’s name are you boys doing?” Mrs. Hadewin asked as she shuffled over to them, running a hand through their hair to feel for any bumps.

               “We were ramming,” Finlay answered as Mrs. Hadewin parted his chestnut hair to look for any damage.

               “Now why would you two go and do something like that for?” Mrs. Hadewin scolded. She tsked at the boys, but they seemed unharmed save for a bump on their heads. She ushered the boys back toward the school, calling for the rest of the class to follow as recess was now over.

               After school, Harry raced Iris to the sidewalk where Addie waited for them. They both tagged Addie at the same time, and Addie declared a tie before the two could start arguing over who got to her first. Addie took their hands and led them toward some trees away from the school where they could apparate home out of sight.  

               Addie assisted with homework for an hour until the floo flared, announcing Severus’s arrival.

               Severus returned home early from work, though he confessed that he had let his NEWTS class go early to research potential end of year potion projects in the library and to write a three-foot thesis that Severus would either approve or deny before they could get to work on the big project. With Severus home, Addie left early to head home and feed her husband while Severus looked through his kitchen for something to feed his kids.

               While he never minded cooking, he still relied on a cookbook now and then to create some meals. He had heard that the elves at Hogwarts were making a fine dish of Swedish meatballs that night, and he wished he had asked to bring some home, so he wasn’t stuck trying to figure out diving this recipe made for twelve servings. His small crew would never eat that many servings of leftovers, and he’d rather not throw food out.

               “So one cup of beef broth instead of two,” Severus muttered as he poured out the ingredient into a measuring cup before setting it aside with his others in a neat fashion before looking down at the cookbook once more, “a half of a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce, and then three quarters of a cup of heavy cream. . . half of three quarters is . . . err—”

               “Six tablespoons,” Harry said as he stepped into the kitchen slowly.

               “What?” Severus asked as he turned to look at Harry, more surprised that his six-year-old son came to an answer faster than he did.

               “Aunt Petunia always said that three quarters of a cup is twelve tablespoons, so that means half would be six tablespoons,” Harry clarified.

               “Is that so?” Severus said, smirking at his son. He used his foot to push the step stool in front of where he was prepping ingredients and Harry climbed up and poured the heavy cream into a measuring cup.

               “So that means a quarter of a cup plus two tablespoons,” Harry said as he set the heavy cream down and smiled up at Severus.

               “You,” Severus began, smiling at his son, “are a very smart young man.”

               Harry beamed at the praise.

               Severus looked at the cookbook once more before pointing out the next ingredient. “Care to get the spices ready while I start cooking the meatballs?”           

               Harry looked at the cookbook and pointed a finger at the first word, and slowly sounded it out.

               “All-sp-ice, half, t-s-p.”

               Severus chuckled.

               “This,” Severus said, pointing at the tsp., “stands for teaspoon. And remember, we are cutting the recipe in half so instead of a half a teaspoon, we’ll use . . .”

               “A quarter,” Harry said.

               “Very good.”

               Severus worked on cooking meatballs and noodles while Harry helped prepped ingredients, asking for assistance with the reading when he needed it. When dinner was near complete, Severus asked Harry how his day had gone.

               “Good,” Harry answered. “I got a bump on my head.”

               “Oh?” Severus ran a hand through Harry’s hair, quickly finding the small injury in question. “And how did you manage that?”

               “Finlay and I were pretending to be pachycephalosauruses, and we rammed each other really hard. It hurt.”

               “Yes, I can imagine. That’s what happened when you run your head into another’s. You know pachys have special heads that let them ram each other. You do not.”

               “I know. I didn’t think it would hurt that much.”

               “Well, I’d rather not hear of you and your friend doing that again, okay?”

               “Okay.”

               “How was the rest of your day? Did you have time with Mrs. Tighe today?”

               “Yeah. She wants me to talk to you for my homework.”

               “What did she want you to talk to me about?”

               “Leaving me with Aunt Petunia. It makes me sad.”

               “It makes you sad that I left you with Aunt Petunia when you were younger?” Severus clarified, frowning slightly.

               “Yeah, but Iris got to stay with you. It makes me sad.”

               “I’m sorry,” Severus said, running his hand through Harry’s hair again. “You have every right to feel that way. At the time, I thought I was making the best decisions for you. But those decisions weren’t in your best interest as much as they were in mine. And you were hurt because of it. I failed you, son, and I’m very sorry.”

               “It’s okay,” Harry started to say.

               “No, it’s not. I should have taken you back as soon as I had the chance. But when I saw Petunia’s picture that she had sent me, you looked happy. I didn’t want to take that from you and upset your life all over again. At least, I thought you were happy in the picture.”

               “I was happy,” Harry admitted with a frown on his face, his nose scrunched up. “I was happy until Aunt Petunia said she didn’t love me.”

               “And that was a real heart stab, wasn’t it?” Severus said softly.

               “It really hurt,” Harry said, his eyes watering and he rubbed at the corner of his eye.

               “I’m sorry you had to go through that,” Severus said, pulling his son into a hug. He picked Harry up off the step stool and held him against his chest in a tight embrace. “I still regret how that day played out, but perhaps you needed to hear those words from Petunia yourself.”

               “She never loved me,” Harry mumbled, his voice cracking as more tears escaped his eyes. He squeezed Severus’s neck tighter.

               “No, she didn’t. And I never came back for you. That’s a lot of pain to go through alone.” Severus rocked Harry for a moment. “You know, when I made the decision to leave you with Petunia, I cried.”

               “You did?” Harry said, pulling back to give his father a searching look. After a moment, he said, “Daddies don’t cry.”

               Severus smiled at that and rested his forehead against Harry’s.

               “Well, I did. I was very upset because I thought you didn’t need me in your life anymore and that I may never see you again. But I thought it was for the best, even though it wasn’t. I made an awful mistake leaving you with your aunt, but I promise that I will try my hardest to never fail you again. You are never leaving me again, Harry. Do not fear that.”

               “You promise?” Harry asked.

               “I promise.” Severus kissed Harry’s temple and Harry hugged his father’s neck once more.

               “I forgive you, Daddy,” Harry said.

               Severus rubbed Harry’s back, his throat closing on him at those words. He wondered if Harry knew how impactful those words were, how much weight they carried, and if Harry would ever take those words back. He pushed those thoughts out of his mind. Harry was still so young and forgiving, and maybe he had rescued Harry from Petunia’s clutches just in time to help him heal. Well, Harry practically rescued himself, even if that had not been the intention.

               “Thank you, honey,” Severus said, finally finding his voice again.

               After another minute, he set Harry down.

               “If you ever feel sad about anything, you can come talk to me anytime, okay? Even if I am working, ask Addie to floo call and I will answer. You don’t have to feel sad alone.”

               “Okay, Daddy,” Harry said.

               Severus ruffled Harry’s hair. He knew it would take a little practice and time for Harry to get into a habit of sharing his feelings with him, but Severus wanted him in that habit before the teen years came. Besides, he didn’t like not knowing how his kids were feeling. Iris was often expressive, if not through her words through her actions and behaviors, which clued Severus in to how she was feeling. Harry, though he would talk to him, was often silent and non-expressive, at least before he blew up for one reason or another. There were few warning signs, and though his anger was a little better controlled, occasionally, Harry would go from zero to sixty in an instant, and he was more prone to those moments when he was tired. They both had a long way to go still with understanding each other, but Severus was confident in the progress they were making.

               They ate dinner together, and even Iris seemed happier that evening, especially when Severus presented her with a new book—A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett. They started on the first chapter together, just Iris and Severus, and she seemed to forgive him for their morning spat over Dahlia’s new visit stipulations. Severus would take what small wins he could get.

               And it seemed his odds were still in his favor when Auror Longbottom stopped by with good news on the case’s progress. They had found a faint presence of two magical signatures in the Dursley residence. It was too old to identify who the signatures belonged to, but their spell detectors had confirmed that there were two individuals that had invaded the Dursley residence the day Harry had floo’d himself to Severus’s residence. It wasn’t the best of good news, but it was progress, and the aurors were working hard to figure out who the signatures might belong to while looking into every known Death Eater and their current location.

               After saying goodbye to Frank and tucking both kids in for the night, Severus had a lot on his mind as he fell asleep. Something felt wrong. He wasn’t sure what it was, so he checked on his kids again, glad to see them sleeping soundly in their beds. Still, a negative pressure was weighing on him, and he checked the wards of his house. They were strong, intact, and showing no signs of a breach or intrusion.

               Charting it up to his increasing paranoia, Severus forced himself to go to bed and fall asleep, and after a brief struggle, he finally did fall into a light but restful slumber.

              

               Dahlia stared down at the school, her hands shaking on the steering wheel of her car. She took a deep breath and looked ahead at nothing in particular. After the fire, she had spent a few nights in jail for child endangerment, but Severus had been kind enough to bail her out but she was still put on probation. And now, her visiting rights had been changed to supervised visitation only, which meant for only a few hours on prescheduled dates that could not be changed or adjusted, and there were not many of those dates scheduled for the year.

               It was all so unfair. Yes, she felt terrible for what she did to her daughter. Putting her baby through a house fire while she was completely comatose was not something she had ever wanted to happen. Yet, she felt the punishment was unjust. Her daughter was everything to her. She was all Dahlia had now in this crazy, unsteady world. She was not going to lose her.

               Dahlia stepped out of the car and walked quickly down to the school, keeping her head low, her hair covering a part of her face. It had only been a couple weeks since the fire, but she wasn’t entirely sure how much change Severus had managed to accomplish in that time, such as who was legally allowed to check Iris out of school.

               Stepping into the receptionist office, Dahlia smiled as she paused at the tall desk, leaning against it casually while hoping her racing heart wasn’t really as loud as it sounded in her ears.

               “Good day, ma’am, how can I help you?” the lady at the reception desk asked.

               “Hi, I’m Dahlia Flater,” Dahlia greeted. “Iris Snape’s mum. I need to check her out for a dentist appointment today.”

               The receptionist pulled out a paper record in a long filing cabinet and glanced through the papers.

               “Okay, can I just have you sign here and the reason you are checking her out and I will page Iris to the office.”

               “Thank you,” Dahlia said with a smile before she scribbled a shaky signature on the sign out sheet she was handed. She heard the page for Iris Snape to come to the Front Desk office, the noise loud in her ears, and she winced. Pushing the clipboard back toward the receptionist, Dahlia stepped back and waited, drumming her fingers on her thighs.

               A few minutes passed, then Iris stepped into the office. She frowned.

               “Mum? What are you doing here?”

               “You have a dentist appointment, remember?” Dahlia said quickly, smiling again, her cheeks starting to hurt.

               “No,” Iris answered honestly.

               Dahlia laughed along with a few of the desk ladies.

               “Of course not, sweetie, that’s why we remember for you. We have to get going or we’re going to be late.”

               “Does Daddy know you’re taking me to the appointment?” Iris asked, even as she accepted her mother’s hands and allowed her to lead them out of the school.

               “Of course, sweetie. We agreed to this since I won’t be seeing you as much anymore.”

               “Okay,” Iris said. She jumped up in her car seat and allowed her mother to help buckle her in.

               Dahlia smiled at her daughter one last time before climbing in the front seat. She took a deep breath as she started the engine. She pulled away from the school and drove away as quickly as she dared with her daughter in the back seat.

 

               Addie waited patiently in her usual place at the end of the path leading to the school. Harry came running up to her with Iris’s backpack in hand. Addie frowned, but accepted the bag when Harry held it out to her.

               “Where’s your sister?” Addie asked.

               “The lady at the front desk said she had a dentist appointment,” Harry answered.

               “I don’t recall Severus informing me of any muggle appointments today.” Addie took Harry’s hand and walked down the path to the school. “Did they say who checked her out?”

               “Her mum.”

               Addie gasped. Wide eyed, she quickly hurried down to the school and ran up to the front desk where the ladies were closing for the day.

               “Excuse me, I was just informed that Iris Snape was checked out of school today?” Addie said, searching the receptionist’s face for confirmation.

               “Yes, her mother checked her out for an appointment earlier this afternoon,” the lady said, pulling out a clipboard and scanning it. “Around one-fifteen, it looks like.”

               Addie covered her mouth with a hand and took a couple deep breaths. The lady behind the desk took in her state and realization started to settle in.

               “Was Ms. Flater not supposed to check out her daughter?” the lady asked, her eyes creasing with worry.

               “No, she was not,” Addie said. “I need to get a hold of her father.”

               “I’ll call the police,” the lady said, sitting down and picking up a landline phone at her desk.

               Addie pulled Harry out of the school and down the path toward the trees where she’d usually apparate away. Once out of sight of muggles, she sent her meerkat patronus to scurry away with a quick message: “Dahlia took Iris out of school and disappeared this afternoon.”

               Then, Addie apparated to Severus’s house with Harry.

               Chaos ensued from there. Police arrived to take a statement and a photo of Iris. They gathered more information such as Dahlia’s current living situation and her car model. Aurors arrived at the house after the police to take another statement. Warrants were placed for Dahlia’s immediate arrest, and police and aurors alike began their search. Severus called Dahlia’s parents and then the one friend he knew Dahlia turned to the most in many situations. Neither had heard or seen Dahlia in the last week.

               Scared, Harry wasn’t sure what to make of all the panic. He stayed close to Addie who provided him with Spike and some tea to help him calm down. Her efforts were futile, and Harry ended up crying, afraid something awful was happening to Iris.

               Severus ended up holding his son and rocking him in the chair in the living room. He reassured Harry that Iris was most likely safe, that she was just in the wrong place at the moment. He told Harry that Dahlia would never hurt Iris, but that she also wasn’t supposed to have Iris with her right now, and that the aurors and police were going to find Iris and bring her back home where she was supposed to be.

               Harry slowly calmed down with those words, but he still sniffled.

               “I miss her already,” Harry said. “I want her home now.”

               “Me too,” Severus agreed, kissing his son’s head. “Me too.”

               As much as he had said those words to reassure Harry, he honestly needed to reassure himself. He was pretty sure Dahlia would never intentionally hurt Iris, but he had no clue where Dahlia’s head was at. If he didn’t have his son to worry about, he’d be out there searching for Dahlia and Iris himself.

 

               Miles away, Dahlia drove along the backroads, her eyes frantically checking for police again. She was sure she was gaining much distance from where they would even start their search, but one could never be too careful. She took a deep breath and focused on the road once more.

               “Mum, we’ve been driving forever,” Iris complained in her car seat. “This isn’t the way to the dentist.”

               “I know, honey,” Dahlia said.

               Iris paused at that, a frown forming on her face.

               “Where are we going?” Iris asked.

               “We’re just going on a little vacation,” Dahlia answered. “It’s a surprise for you.”

               “I don’t want a surprise.” Iris kicked at her mother’s seat in front of her. “I want to go home. Now.”

               “Iris, stop that.” Dahlia scolded, glancing at her daughter in the rearview mirror. “I’m not in the mood.”

               “I don’t care,” Iris shouted, “take me home now. I want Daddy.”

               “You’re not getting your daddy—he’s the whole reason I have to do this. Just sit back and be quiet, please.”

               Iris growled loudly in frustration, banging her head back against her seat. She glared at her mother for a moment, but Dahlia was oblivious to her glares as she glanced back again as if expecting someone to follow her. Then, Iris snapped herself free of her car seat and slid out of it, leaning forward between the front seats.

               “I want to go home!” Iris demanded.

               Dahlia gasped and jerked the wheel slightly before she pushed against her daughter’s chest, trying to get her to sit down.

               “Iris Eileen-Louise, get back in your car seat right now!”

               “No! I want to go home.”

               “Iris, please, sit down. Get your seat belt on. Please don’t make me pull over. Sit down.”

               Iris screamed and hit the head seats with her fists.

               “I want to go home! I want to go home!”

               Dahlia glanced at the road then back at her daughter and tried to push her down in her seat.

               “Stop screaming! Stop it right now. Sit down, young lady.”

               “Mum, look out!” Iris shouted.

               Dahlia looked ahead just in time to see a flash of a black car flying towards them before a sickening crunch of metal filled her ears as the other car clipped hers, causing it to spin off the road and roll down a ditch. It came to a halt at the bottom of the ditch, landing upside down.

               For a long moment, there was nothing but silence.

               The black car was dented and scratched up in the front bumper, but it pulled up to the side of the road where Dahlia’s old Morris Minor had flipped. The back doors opened.

               At the bottom of the hill, Iris crawled out a shattered window, tears streaming down her face. Despite being unbuckled, she had gotten caught in between the front seats and didn’t fly around two much, though she did bang her head, which had a cut on it and was bleeding. She was scraped up from glass on her arms and knees. She looked back at the car.

               Dahlia was still in her seat, upside down like the car, and her head had a larger gash where she had hit it against the steering wheel. She was unconscious, her eyes closed and blood dripping from her nose and her open wound.

               “Mummy!” Iris cried, reaching through the open window and shaking Dahlia’s shoulder. She heard voices above her, and she cried, “Help! I need help. My mum’s hurt!”

               “Is that her?” a man’s deep voice asked. “That’s the ex, right?”

               “It better be or we struck the wrong car,” another man’s voice said.

               Two dark robbed men carefully walked down the ditch toward the wreck, wands at their side and ready. Iris crawled back a bit, wary of the wizards.

               “Please help,” she tried again, hoping they might have sympathy on her.

               “Yeah, that’s the daughter,” one man said. “Obliviate the muggle driver. I’ll grab her.”

               One wizard ran back toward the black car while the other lunged for Iris.

               “What are you doing?” Iris asked, back crawling away. “No, leave me alone. Mum!”

               Iris screamed as she was grabbed and a loud crack sounded through the air as the wizards disapparated away.

 

To be continued...
Kidnapped by krosi

 

               Iris’s breath slowly came back to her after the forceful disapparition. Her parents tried to refrain from apparition for safety reasons, such as to avoid splinting her and long-distance apparition is known to be very draining on younger bodies. She took several deep breaths as a lumpy looking man dragged her toward large, spiked iron gates reaching for the red sky as the sun slowly lowered behind a dark manor that sent shivers down Iris’s spine. She pulled against her captor, but he held tightly to her upper arm, dragging her through the opening gates.

               Another man apparated behind them and ran through the gates before the closed. He followed closely behind, a smug grin on his face.

               “Where are you taking me?” Iris demanded. “I want to go home! Now!”

               “Shut up, you little brat,” the man dragging her snapped. He pulled her into the entryway of the manor.

               A large great horned owl flew in above them as the doors began to close. It hooted above their heads, holding rolled up parchment in its claws. The men followed the owl as it swooped down the hall and veered toward the right into a room.

               Iris pulled against her captor futilely once more, but he pulled her into the room the owl had dove in to. The other man followed close, staying quiet but grinning all the while.

               As they entered the room, Iris watched as the brown colored owl fluttered toward another person sitting in a plush chair in front of the fireplace, the back of the chair toward the doorway of the room, so Iris could not see the person. Chandeliers with lit candles lit up the room, yet it still had a dark creepiness Iris did not like.

               The owl handed the rolled parchment to the person before landing on the arm of the chair and waiting.

               Suddenly, the person in the chair struck the bird with the rolled-up parchment it had just delivered, earning loud, startled cries as the bird flinched away.

               “You’re late,” a female voice said. “Useless bird. Shoo!”

               The woman struck the bird once more with the parchment, encouraging the owl to fly away, but it didn’t go far and instead flapped up to the mantle above the fireplace.

               “Alecto,” Iris’s captor spoke, shaking her arm a little, “look who we found.”

               The woman gasped excitedly as she hopped out of the chair and stared back at the two men and Iris. Her smiled dropped from her face however as she sneered down at Iris. Alecto frowned at the men; disappointment thick in her voice.

               “Clearly not the Boy-Who-Lived,” Alecto said. “What am I supposed to do with that, Amycus?”

               “It’s Severus Snape’s daughter,” Amycus, the one holding on to Iris, answered. He pushed her forward, finally letting her go.

               Iris stumbled a bit, but she caught herself before she fell over and glared up at the woman.

               Alecto’s eyes brightened at the news, and she stalked forward like a leopardess toying with prey, her stubby fingers looking much like paws and her sleeked back hair and sloping-shoulders giving her a predatory air as she advanced forward. Iris didn’t move or back away, even as Alecto bent forward to peer into her eyes.    

               “So, you’re the little princess,” Alecto said. “You know, hun, it’s not you we want but the little pest you call your brother. He’s who we’re after, so no need to worry. We’re just going to keep you here util your father gives us Potter.”

               “My daddy’s going to hurt you,” Iris said confidently.

               “Ooh,” Alecto giggled in a wheezy way as she looked up at her brother and the other man standing next to him. “She’s so feisty! Must be a redhead thing.”

               Alecto lowered herself to meet Iris’s eyes again, using the rolled parchment to push some of Iris’s hair back.

               “You know, you father was almost one of us,” Alecto said. “A Death Eater, a supporter of the world’s greatest, most powerful wizard that every lived. When he was still I school, he would hang out with some of the younger members of our group. He was going to join us after he graduated, go through the whole initiation, but a certain little redheaded mudblood talked him out of it. Pity, really.”

               Iris didn’t say anything. Everything in her was shaking and she wanted nothing more than to run and hide behind something until her father found her, but her legs wouldn’t move.

               Alecto hmphed and stood up tall once more.

               “Hopefully, your stay isn’t too long. Once your father hears that we have you, he’ll have no choice but to hand over Potter.”

               “He’s not going to give you my brother,” Iris said.

               “He’ll have to,” Alecto said rather nonchalantly with a shrug of her shoulder. “It’s either that, or we kill you.”

               Iris sucked in a shaky gasp and tears welled in her eyes.

               Alecto made a sad face at her.

               “Life is so full of tough choices,” she said.

               “Stop it! I want to go home! Where’s my mum?”

               “Dead, probably,” Amycus said with a lopsided sneer.

               Iris gasped, and her eyes flooded with tears.

               “Well, well, haven’t you boys been busy,” Alecto said.

               “We forced a muggle driver to chase after that mudblood’s car,” the other man finally spoke. “Then we made him crash the cars and flipped the other one right into a ditch. She didn’t look so good when we left her there, and we made sure the muggle didn’t know which was up when we were through with him.”

               Alecto was like a child on Halloween about to receive candy with the way she jumped up and down with giddy at the news.

               “This is so exciting!” she said. “We will rise in the ranks of the Dark Lord upon his return when we share with him all that we’ve accomplished—including the destruction of the Boy-Who-Lived. Athena!”

               Everyone paused and waited, and Alecto rolled her eyes and looked over to the left side of the room.

               The owl was attempting to open a bag of owl treats resting near a small owl cage in the corner of the room. She used her talons to pin the bag down while she tried to rip into it with her beak.

               “Stupid bird,” Alecto snapped. She swung out her wand and sent a small stinging hex toward her. “Leave it, Athena! You will eat when you are finished with your work. I’m not done with you.”

               Athena cried out as the hex struck her, but she left the bag of treats and flew over to land on the back of the chair, facing the trio and Iris. Alecto opened the parchment that was delivered to her and smiled at the headliner of the evening prophet: a missing child statement from the Auror Department, and a picture of Iris took up one side while a picture of Dahlia took up the other. In the wizarding world, news traveled very fast, and Alecto was pleased that the aurors were chasing after Dahlia currently. They would never suspect her, her brother or their accomplice Gibbon. Of course, they would reveal themselves soon, but they had time to come up with a plan to trap Severus Snape with the Boy-Who-Lived.

               “Boys, we are now in control of this entire situation,” Alecto began, smirking. She handed Amycus the prophet to look over while she spoke. “We must tread carefully, but the Boy-Who-Lived will be ours! We’ll need a place to set up a drop off for Severus Snape but one for the Aurors too, we have to make a clear threat to keep Severus from revealing the true location while sending the aurors elsewhere. . .”

               While Alecto spoke of her plan, Iris looked over at the corner of the room where the owl cage and treats sat. She slowly began inching her way toward it, glancing back and forth between Alecto and the cage. Finally, she could reach up to the table where the treats were and she slowly and as quietly as she could opened the bag of treats.

               Athena’s head snapped in her direction.

               No one else seemed to notice.

               Iris pulled out a couple treats and pocketed them before closing the bag. She noticed Athena’s piercing yellow eyes locked on her as she shuffled back towards the trio. Her eyes sweeped over the fireplace, wondering if any of the containers sitting near it held floo powder. While the three kidnappers were talking, she wondered if she’s be able to check without anyone noticing.

               “Little girl!” Alecto snapped. “What are you doing? Get over here.”

               Iris froze. She wasn’t far from the three, but she really didn’t want to go any closer to them.

               A huge gust of wind blew from behind her and pushed her the rest of the way to the trio where Amycus grabbed a hold of her.

               “No games, now,” he said in a deep voice.

               “Athena,” Alecto demanded, calling her owl over. The bird flew over to Alecto’s outstretched arm. “Deliver this letter to Rowle. I’m sure he could be of use to us in securing Potter in our grasps. I expect a response and do not be late this time or I’ll lock you in that cage again.”

               Alecto held out the letter. Athena flinched at first but then quickly took the parchment in her beak and flew off. Satisfied, Alecto turned cold eyes on Iris.

               “Take her to the dungeon and lock her up good.” Alecto said. “We can’t risk losing our only leverage.”

               “No!” Iris screamed as she was lifted and tucked under Amycus’s arm like an American football. “He won’t give you Harry. Just take me home. Take me home! I won’t tell anyone. I promise.”

               “Shut up!” Amycus yelled at her.

               It was a short trip to the dungeon which was down two flights of stairs. Amycus threw Iris into the first prison room they came across, and he closed the barred gate and locked the door with a key he hung across the hall.

               “Get comfy,” Amycus said with a grin, “It’s going to be a long night for you.”

               “Don’t leave me here,” Iris pleaded as Amycus began to walk away, leaving her in a dark and cold room. “Please, I’m scared. My head hurts. Can I have ice? Don’t leave me here.”

               Her cries were ignored and Iris sniffled as she looked around. The small space she was in had a small lumpy mattress on the floor with a blanket thrown across it carelessly, and a toilet sat in one corner. There was a barred window revealing a thick forest behind the manor, and the sky continued to darken, revealing the first stars and sending in a chilly wind.

               It was dark in the dungeon, and there were tapping sounds and creaks coming from the other end of the hall, which was too dark to see anything. Iris quickly crawled on the bed and backed up into a corner, pulling the blanket up close, prepared to duck under it should any monsters jump out at her. It was the only protection she had.

               A low hoot startled her, and she lifted the blanket up to her nose, her heart pounding in her chest.

               Athena appeared at the window, and she tilted her head at Iris curiously. She gave another low hoot.

               Iris slowly crawled out of the blanket and ran over to the toilet, stepping up on the lid and clinging to the edge of the windowsill with her hands. She used one hand to pull one of the owl treats out of her pocket and offered it to the owl.

               Athena hesitated. She shuffled a little closer then paused again, tilting her head at Iris.  

               “I won’t hurt you,” Iris promised. She stretched her hand out further. “Here. You look hungry.”

               Athena clucked her beak before shuffling closer once more. She slowly reached out and accepted the owl treat from Iris, crunching away at it.

               “Good, owl,” Iris said. She pulled out another treat and set it right in front of where she could reach. Athena moved closer and accepted the treat. Iris reached out to pet the owl but paused when Athena flinched and stared up at Iris’s hand hovering above her head. After a moment, the owl pushed her head into Iris’s hand, accepting a pet.

               Iris smiled and stroked the bird gently. She wished she could hug the owl like she did Mr. Cuddlywuddlytums, that would make her feel a lot better, but she also didn’t want to scare the owl away, and this owl didn’t seem like it would appreciate a hug. She offered the last treat she had managed to sneak out and the owl ate hungrily.

               “Please help me,” Iris pleaded to the owl.

               Athena tilted her head at Iris, staring intently.

               “Can you go to my daddy? Please? You can give him . . . umm,” Iris searched herself for something to give the owl and pulled off the green and blue friendship bracelet she had made with Ruth in school earlier that day. She held it out to the owl. “You can give him this. His name is Severus Snape. Then maybe he can find me with magic?”

               The owl continued to stare at Iris.

               “Please,” Iris asked again.

               With a low hoot, the owl took the bracelet in its beak before flapping away into the night.

               It was very dark now in the dungeon, and Iris jumped down and ran back to the bed, hiding under the blanket, hopeful that her daddy would come get her soon. She tried to ignore the scary noises all around her, ignored the small throb in her head, closing her eyes tightly as she shook under the blanket. How long would it take the bird to get to her daddy?

 

1am

 

Severus slowly swayed back and forth with Harry on his hip as he listened to an auror explain that Dahlia had turned herself in about an hour ago, and after a short interrogation, confessed to taking her daughter out of school. However, Dahlia no longer had Iris. A car had struck hers and thrown her off the road. She wasn’t sure how long she was unconscious for, but when she woke up, she was alone with an insane muggle who had obvious symptoms of having been severely obliviated. Iris was no where to be found. So Dahlia turned herself in and informed the aurors of where everything had taken place in order to find Iris.

This was awful news.

“Is Dahlia okay?” Severus asked.

“She had a deep head wound and a concussion, two broken ribs and several bruises, but otherwise, she’ll make a full recovery.” Frank waited to see what Severus’s reaction would be to that news.

If Dahlia was that injured from the car crash, what shape was Iris in right now? Whoever had her, were they even treating her wounds? Probably not, what kind of ridiculous question was that? Severus closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

“We’re going to change the missing alert in the paper to state we are now looking for just Iris,” Frank continued. “I do need a few signatures from you regarding what will go in the paper and if you have any other recent photos of Iris we can use, that would help us greatly.”

“Of course,” Severus said. He rubbed Harry’s back, knowing his son was still awake unfortunately. “Honey, I have to put you down for a minute.”

               Harry wrapped his arms tighter around Severus’s neck in protest.

               “Just for a minute,” Severus encouraged as he set Harry down in the chair in his living room, then reached up and gently pulled Harry’s arms off of him. Harry sniffled and started crying softly, even as Addie moved from the sofa to the arm of the chair to comfort him.

               Severus felt bad, but he had already tried taking Harry to bed three times so far that night. The first time was at his usual bedtime, but an hour later Harry had reappeared while Severus was talking to aurors about locating Dahlia. Severus tried to push away his anxiety by rocking Harry back to sleep, but after he settled Harry in bed again, Harry woke just as he was leaving the room. It took two hours before Harry started to drift off again while Severus tried reading to him, shushing him, and rocking him once more. Harry was an emotional wreck with Iris missing and Severus high strung, but he had finally fallen asleep.

               Then the floo had flared, announcing Frank’s arrival, and Harry woke up and sought Severus out again. And if Severus tried to leave Harry anywhere, Harry cried. Severus was sure Harry’s emotions were all over the place and his poor son simply had no clue how to manage them all. Addie had stayed over in the guest room in case Severus had to leave at any time during the night, and she tried offering tricks to help Harry fall asleep (and hopefully stay asleep), but the warm bath, honey milk and tea, and the white noise in Harry’s room had not helped.

               Severus signed the papers he needed to for the Daily Prophet to consent for the use of Iris’s photos, then he used his memories to take pictures of Iris and create a physical copy of it as Addie had shown him how to do when Harry first arrived at his house covered in soot. He felt a heavy weight on his chest as he stared down at the pictures, fear constricting around him like a snake. His worst fears were happening now—his child was kidnapped by people with every intention of hurting her. And he was sure they were the same people who had sent that threat to him, so not only did they have one of his children, but they also wanted his other child. Severus closed his eyes tightly and handed the photos over to Frank.

               “I can’t pretend to imagine what you are going through right now,” Frank said softly. “This is every parent’s worst nightmare, losing a child and not knowing where they are or . . .” Frank shook his head sadly. “We are doing everything in our power to track down who took Iris. We have our best aurors at the scene of the crash going through every little piece of evidence while a couple aurors work on trying to identify the magical signature left on the obliviated muggle. We will find Iris.”

               “I know you will,” Severus said, more to encourage his own faith in the aurors than to assert his belief that they would in fact find Iris.

               “I know it would be too much to suggest trying to get some rest,” Frank said, “given the circumstances, but you should try to calm your nerves a little. You don’t want to make yourself sick. And Harry might be feeding off on your emotions just as much as his own.”

               Addie was holding Harry and rocking him as she walked over to where Severus and Frank were talking. Severus looked down at Harry, who held his arms out for him.

               Severus sighed and stretched his arms quickly before accepting Harry from Addie.

               “Do you think a sleeping potion might help at this point?” Addie asked.

               “No, I don’t think his body is quite ready to handle sedatives,” Severus said as he adjusted Harry on his hip. He brushed back Harry’s hair and planted a kiss on Harry’s forehead. “How are you feeling, Harry?”

               “I want Iris,” Harry muttered.

               “Me, too. We’ll get her back. Right now, how about you and I go lie down, hmm? Want me to read you another book?”

               “No, I want Iris.”

               “I know. We have to be patient. And you need to settle down, you’re aggravating your asthma. Would you like more tea with honey and milk?”

               Harry didn’t get a chance to answer as that moment, a loud commotion broke outside. The aurors on guard of the Snape residence began shouting as they fired curses, lighting up the dark outdoors.

               “Owl!” one shouted clearly, catching Severus’s attention.

               There was a loud screech, and then two aurors were stepping inside, Frank quickly directing them to the dining table. They set the stunned owl down on the table. Severus stepped closer to look at it. It was a great horned owl.

               “That’s it,” Severus said, nodding his head. “That’s the bird I told you about.”

               “That’s Iris’s!” Harry said, pointing down at the bird’s beak.

               “What?” Severus asked, looking at his son then at what he was pointing at. He spotted the blue and green bracelet in the bird’s mouth.

               “Iris and Ruth were making those at school today,” Harry explained. “That’s the one Ruth gave Iris. She was wearing it when she left.”

               “You’re sure?” Severus asked Harry, who nodded his head.

               “Ross, check the bird for any magical signatures,” Frank began ordering. “Jackson, start working on a flight trail spell, we need to know where this bird came from.”

               “Those take a few hours to map out, Longbottom,” the auror, Jackson, said.

               “Then I suggest you move quickly.”

               Severus stared down at the owl for a moment before turning to Frank.

               “What if the bird leads us to Iris?” Severus asked.

               “I cannot put my trust in a potentially dark wizard’s owl,” Frank said. “You said it yourself, the bird evaded you and your owl when it delivered that note to you. It is most likely trained to avoid us and not reveal its owner’s location.”

               “But it brought this,” Severus said, snatching the bracelet and holding it up. “Why would it do that?”

               “I don’t know,” Frank said. “Maybe it’s a warning from the kidnappers. A sign that they have her and she’s alive—for now.”

               “It’s too subtle,” Severus insisted, “why this bracelet and not a lock of Iris’s hair or something? Something’s not right.”

               “Sir,” Jackson interrupted, “the flight pattern is untraceable. There’s some kind of spell on the bird keeping ours from working and it would take just as long to break it as it would to trace where it came from.”

               “We don’t have that kind of time,” Severus said, adjusting Harry to his other hip. “We need to wake that bird up and follow it to wherever it came from.”

               Frank sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, frustrated but also considering his options. He slowly started to nod his head.

               “If the bird did come of its own free will, this could give us a head start on our kidnappers’ plan, whatever that may be. Very well, we’ll give it a try. Ross, keep looking for magical signatures and match them to what we have in our database. Jackson, get ready to wake the bird.”

               “I’m coming with you,” Severus said.

               “You bringing your son along too?” Frank asked, frowning at Severus. “Don’t be rash, Severus. I cannot allow an untrained wizard on this mission.”

               “This is my daughter we’re talking about,” Severus said. “I’m coming. You’ll have to arrest me if you want to stop me.”

               An auror was all prepared with magic-restraining cuffs and took a step forward to stop Severus from acting on his crazy idea, but Frank held a hand up, stopping the auror from advancing any further.

               “This remains off the record,” Frank said. “And you will do as any of these aurors tell you.”

               “Of course,” Severus agreed. Anything to be allowed to go. That didn’t mean he’d follow every order though.

               “And your son?”             

               “I’ll take him,” Addie said, offering her arms out.

               “Noooo!” Harry cried, tightening his arms around Severus’s neck.             

               “Harry, please go to Addie,” Severus encouraged. “I have to go get your sister.”

               “I want to stay with you,” Harry pleaded.

               “Looks like you might be staying back after all,” and auror said smugly.

               Severus sent that auror an annoyed look before attempting to remove Harry from his person, but the child kept a death grip on him.

               “I have an idea,” Addie said suddenly. She turned to the aurors. “If you would give us one minute.”

               Everyone nodded and continued working on their jobs while Frank discussed his plan should the bird obediently lead them to where Iris was being held captive.

               “Follow me,” Addie said, and led the way to the floo.

               They floo’d over to the Brown residence, where Samuel greeted them from the top of his staircase after hearing his fireplace go off.

               “What’s going on?” he asked in a whisper. “You find Iris?”

               “At least a clue to where she might be,” Severus said in a soft voice. “Mind if my son stays the night?”

               “No, no, come on up,” Samuel waved them up the stairs.

               Severus explained the current findings on Iris’s situation as he followed Samuel to a room down the hall. Samuel was shaking his head and letting out slow breaths. He couldn’t imagine one of his children in the hands of kidnappers. He might go spar if anyone dared to harm his kids or keep him from searching for them.

               “I want to stay with you, Daddy,” Harry said.

               “I know, but I need to get your sister and it might be dangerous.” Severus walked into the bedroom after Samuel. “I need to know that you are safe. Joshua is going to be with you all night, okay?”

               “Joshua?” Harry asked, looking down at the bed where Samuel was carefully sliding his son over to make room for Harry.

               “What’s going on?” Joshua asked sleepily as his eyes fluttered open and he stared up blearily at his father.

               “Hey, buddy.” Samuel smiled at his son. “Harry’s going to spend the night with you, okay? He’s feeling a little scared right now and his father has to leave for a little bit.”

               “Yeah, that’s okay,” Joshua said through a yawn. “He can sleep with me.”

               “Is Iris going to be okay?” Harry asked his father.

               “As soon as I get to her, she will be,” Severus answered. He kissed Harry’s temple. “Think you can stay here with Joshua?”

               Harry hesitated, then nodded.

               Severus slowly settled Harry in the bed next to Joshua, who was already fast asleep again. Severus tucked Harry in and rubbed his back for him until he began to blink sleepily. Finally, Harry fell asleep.

               “Thank you, Samuel,” Severus said as he followed him out of the bedroom. “I have to warn you, he could get up again. He’s a night wanderer. He may also be up super early in the morning messing around in your kitchen.”

               Samuel chuckled.

               “I’ll let Tori know,” he said. “We’ll probably take bets on who will be up first, your kid or Esther. Thing about Esther—she can’t hear, but, damn, does she know how not to make a noise. We find her out of bed at five in the morning eating Grandma Addie’s homemade cookies in the pantry I can’t tell you how often.”

               Severus snorted at the story, remembering when Iris was guilty of similar behaviors.

               “So Harry will be nothing new for us,” Samuel concluded. “You do what you need to do.”

               Severus thanked Samuel one last time and wished Addie good night before stepping back through the floo. He frowned as he watched the four aurors circling his dining table. The great horned owl was awake and clicking its sharp beak at them.

               “You woke the bird up while I was gone?” Severus asked. “You were planning on leaving without me.”

               “Well, we were,” Jackson admitted, “but the bird won’t leave. We keep trying to make it fly, but it won’t go.”

               Severus looked at the owl. It was visibly shaking where it stood on the table, but it clicked its beak defensively at the aurors.

               “I don’t know what its afraid of,” Frank said. “But if I were to guess, this bird did act of its own free will delivering that bracelet to you. It’s probably afraid of backlash from its owner.”

               “Come on, bird,” Ross said, waving his hands at the bird and giving the universal command all owls in Britain were taught, “Go home!”

               The owl shook violently but didn’t move.

               Desperately, Severus moved toward the bird, kneeling so he didn’t seem as intimidating. The owl watched him cautiously.

               “Please, bird,” Severus said. He held the bracelet out to the bird. “This is my daughter. She’s hurt and she’s scared, and she needs me to find her. You know where she is. You have to lead the way. Take me to her. Please.”

               The owl stared at the bracelet, then tilted its head.

               It gave a low hoot.

               Then, it snatched the bracelet and took off, flapping wildly around the room as it looked for a window.

               “Bird is on the move,” Frank announced, “let’s go, let’s go!”

               The bird flew for a window that opened for her while aurors summoned their brooms and jumped on, flying after the owl. Frank handed a broom to Severus, who mounted quickly and followed Frank out the door, chasing the owl as it flew higher and higher into the night sky, the moon offering enough light for the aurors to track the bird.
               Severus kept himself right behind the bird, refusing to allow it to slip from his view. He would get to his daughter if it was the last thing he did.

               And he would strangle whoever dared to take her from him.

 

To be continued...
Safety by krosi

Next Chapter: Safety

 

               Iris shivered under the blanket as cold drafts from the barred window blew around her, the chilled early morning air finding ways to slither under the blanket and brush against her body. She whimpered as she pulled the blanket tighter over her head, afraid that if she peeked out from under the blanket, monsters would be waiting to devour her. She wanted nothing more than to cuddle with her father right now, feeling his strong and protective arms around her.

               There were loud noises all around her, coming closer and closer to her dingy mattress, she just knew it. It was probably a large, purple, hairy monster with big teeth and claws, and it was coming straight for her, banging on all the empty prison cells on the way. If she didn’t move, maybe it wouldn’t notice her.

Iris tried not to breathe as another loud bang sounded through the dungeon, then a strange woosh filled the air. Her heart pounded loud in her ears. Surely the monster could hear it.

               Then there was silence.

               Iris did not move. The monster was just waiting for her to peek out from under the blanket so it could eat her. Her breathing came in faster as the silence continued.

               Cautiously, she slowly lowered the blanket.

               Two large eyes were staring at her.

               Iris screamed, crawling away.

               The creature squeaked and jumped back, then tried shushing Iris as it waved its hands frantically at her to quiet down.

               “Dinky is so sorry,” the creature said, “I’s not mean to scare the young Miss.”

               Iris took several deep breaths as she calmed down, her heart finally slowing down. She was surprised at how clearly, she could see everything now, as if the world had suddenly lit up in the room. There was a house elf in front of her, like the ones she had seen at Hogwarts before, but this one wore a filthy, tattered pillowcase.

               “Is Miss not scared anymore?” Dinky asked, wringing his hands nervously.

               “I’m okay,” Iris said, her voice shaking a little.

               “Miss’s eyes are glowing,” Dinky noted, peering into Iris’s eyes curiously. “Does Miss know?”

               “My eyes?” Iris asked, rubbing at them. “They’re glowing?”

               “They started to glow after I’s scared the young Miss.”

               “Oh. I think it’s accidental magic. Why are you here? Are you stuck here too?”

               “No, Dinky is belonging to the Carrow family for many years. They do awful things to Dinky and make Dinky clean every part of the manor, even in darkness. Dinky is used to it. What is yous doing here?”

               “They kidnapped me and hurt my mum. Can you help me out?”

               “No-no, I’s is not to be disobeying Master and Mistress’s orders. I’s is to clean until my arms fall off or I’s be whipped.”

               “That’s not very nice.”

               “Miss should rest, I’s sorry to disturb Miss.”

               “Please don’t leave me. I’m scared.”

               “Dinky is sorry but Dinky cannot help. Dinky would have to punish himself for helping Master and Mistress’s prisoner.”

               “I don’t want to be a prisoner. Can you just show me the way out? It’s not helping if you don’t actually take me out.”

               Dinky tugged at his ears and chewed on his lower li for a moment as he stared at Iris. He tapped his foot then shook his head and turned away.

               “Dinky must not—but the poor Miss!—But no. Dinky cannot disobey Master and Mistress . . . Dinky bad house elf for thinking . . . No, Dinky will not. Bad Dinky! Bad Dinky!”

               Dinky struck himself over the head repeatedly. Iris crawled away from the crazy house elf, moving closer to the opened prison door cell. Dinky blinked as he glanced over at Iris. His eyes widened as he realized he had left the door open, then he shook his head.

               “No, Miss cannot leave—I’s be punished if Miss leaves. Miss must go back in cell.”

               “My daddy’s going to save me and make the bad guys go away. Maybe you can be free from them then.” Iris didn’t stop inching toward the door as she pushed up to her feet. With the glow from her eyes allowing her to see nearly five feet in front of her, Iris felt enough confidence to try sneaking out of the manor. She didn’t quite remember which way to go, but she wasn’t going to stick around waiting for the elf to make up its mind to help her or not. Besides, Dinky might tell the Carrows that she wasn’t locked up anymore.

               “Only masters can free house elves,” Dinky said, though he did shuffle after Iris. “If Master and Mistress go away, Dinky be stuck here waiting for their return.”

               “But they wouldn’t be around to hurt you anymore,” Iris said as she moved toward a large staircase, but Dinky pulled her arm and pointed down the hallway.

               “Dinky really should put Miss back in cell,” Dinky said as he led the way down the hall, pausing now and then to tug his ears or bite his nails. “Dinky bad elf. Dinky must punish himself most severely for freeing prisoner. Dinky cannot help Miss escape. No, Dinky cannot! I’s clean and only clean.”

               “Okay,” Iris agreed as she followed the elf up a new staircase. “You’re not helping me. I’m just following you.”

               Dinky paused at the top of the staircase and glanced around, then pulled at his pillowcase before waving Iris to follow him down a dark hall which illuminated as Iris stepped up the last steps and into the hallway.

               “Dinky is most disobedient,” the house elf kept saying. “I’s get twenty—no, thirty lashes for this treason.”

               “You won’t. I’ll tell my Daddy and he won’t let anything happen to you.”

               “Miss’s father cannot stop masters from punishing Dinky.”

               “He’ll make your masters go away so they can’t hurt you. You’ll see. He’s going to save me. And you won’t get punished cause your masters will go to prison!”
               “Shhh!” Dinky spluttered with a finger to his lip. He pushed her into an alcove in the hall where a bust of a Carrow ancestor rested. Iris quickly hid behind the bust while the elf busied himself with a feather duster that appeared in his hands with a snap of his finger.

               “I’s clean the portraits,” Dinky said aloud, “yes, I’s clean real well. No dust allowed with Dinky cleaning.”

               Amycus and Gibbon sped down the hall with arms raised and their wands lit at their sides. Iris closed her eyes quickly and listened to them pass where she was hiding before opening her eyes again, staring down the hall she had come from. Another man stepped out of a room and frowned at the other two men.

               “What is going on? I’ve come to hear of your sister’s plan?”

               “There’s something trying to breach through our wards, Rowle,” Amycus said. “Might be Aurors, though how they know we took the girl is beyond me. We haven’t even sent a ransom note yet.”

               “You idiots!” Rowle snapped. “And you tried to drag me into this? I’ll have no part of this absurdity. You’re on your own.”

               Rowle turned and stormed back into the room he had stepped through and Iris heard the familiar sound of a floo flaring up. She wondered if she could use that same floo but she had never used the floo on her own before, and if Aurors were really coming, she might have a better chance getting outside where they could find her quickly.

               “Coward!” Amycus spat, then when a loud alarm sounded through the manor, he and Gibbon took off running, disappearing at the end of the hall.

               “Oh, Dinky is in trouble,” Dinky muttered, wringing his feather duster now. “Dinky will be blamed for Aurors arrival, I’s will.”

               “No, you won’t, come on!” Iris said, running down the hall.

               Dinky chased after her, then tugged her arm to veer her off down a new hallway and toward large doors. Dinky opened the doors with a snap of his fingers and led Iris outside.

               The doors led to grand staircase that dropped down into a large backyard garden, with large cactus plants filling up the the space, a few rose bushes around the edges of the yard, and a large fountain of a raven spouting water in the center of it all. Past the garden was acres of land and then trees in the distance. Iris shivered in the cold air as she moved deeper into the garden, following a cobblestone path while looking around and then up in the air, hopeful for anyone to come rescue her.

               Dinky watched her walk deeper in the garden, then gasped, his eyes widening. He swallowed dryly before snapping his fingers, vanishing on the spot.

               Iris heard the crack of the elf disapparating, and she spun around, but Dinky was gone. She rubbed her arms and shivered, then stared up at the sky again, feeling her nerves start to come alive again as she waited, but nothing was happening. Was no one coming for her? Her eyes prickled with tears.

               “Hoo!” came an owl call.

               “Athena!” Iris cried out as the owl flew down toward her, circling her once before flapping its wings frantically to hover in the air as it held something out to Iris.

               Iris accepted her bracelet from the owl. She stared at it for a moment before looking up at the owl that had landed on a cactus plant. Iris really felt like crying now, and a tear escaped one of her glowing eyes, sliding down her cheek.

               “Did you take it to my daddy?” Iris asked.

               The owl tilted its head at her. She gave a low hoot in response.

               At that moment, red light flashed in the sky above them, startling Iris, who dropped the bracelet.

               As quickly as it happened, many wizards and witches on brooms flooded the sky, flying around the house, avoiding curses that were shot into the air from somewhere on the roof. Iris felt relief as she smiled up at the Aurors, then at the owl, who hooted again.

               “Iris!”

               Iris spun around. She smiled with joy as she watched Severus land in the garden, jumping off the broom and running toward her. Iris ran to him as well, jumping in his arms, crying happily as she squeezed his neck.

               “Are you okay? Did they hurt you?” Severus began firing questions after a brief squeeze in return. He pulled her back. “Your head’s bleeding, was that from them or the car crash? Are . . . are your eyes glowing?”

               Iris nodded her head before she clung to Severus again, refusing to let go of him. She wasn’t sure what she was answering to, but all she knew was that she needed to feel his arms around her again. It made her feel so safe and protected. Severus rocked her gently as he rubbed her back.

               “Isn’t this so sweet?” Alecto’s wheezy voice said from the doorway of the garden.

               Iris felt her father’s arms tighten around her, and she peeked an out from her father’s shoulder to look behind her.

               Alecto had a hand around Dinky’s throat, holding him up in the air while her other hand had her wand trained on Severus. Dinky struggled in Alecto’s grasp. Athena hooed and retreated from the cactus, flying off toward the trees.

               “So many traitors,” Alecto said in a mockingly sad tone. “Everywhere I go, it seems. First, the owl, now my own elf.”

               “Dinky not mean to disobey—”

               “Save it!” Alecto shouted, throwing the elf aside before hitting him with a stunning charm. “I’ll deal with you later.”

               Severus took that moment to whip out his own wand, angling his body so he was shielding Iris as much as he could. He started to back away, not really wanting to duel with his daughter in his arms. Iris whimpered as she buried her face in Severus’s shoulder again.               

               “Where’s the Boy-Who-Lived?” Alecto asked, her wand on Severus once more. She advanced down the stairs and followed Severus’s movements.

               Severus weaved between the cacti, his wand never leaving Alecto as she stalked him.      

               “My children are not up for sale,” Severus snapped.

               “That’s too bad. I’d offer a great fortune for him. But if I can’t have him, I’ll just take the little princess.”

               Alecto flicked her wand and shouted, “Confringo!”

               Severus cast a shield and blocked the curse, and it bounced off his shield and struck a nearby cactus, blowing an arm off it.

               “Expelliarmus!” Severus shouted, and his spell nearly hit Alecto, but she dodged behind a cactus at the last moment, laughing manically

               Severus moved behind a cactus himself, adjusting his hold on his daughter. Glancing up, he could see several Aurors moving on the roof, and he was hopeful they were capturing whoever was up there and would come take care of this crazy woman next. He didn’t want his daughter to get caught in the crossfire, but he wasn’t about to put her down either.

               “Here Snapey Snape,” Alecto teased as she slinked her way through the plants, glancing behind each one cautiously, a huge grin on her face. “Come out wherever you are. Your daughter and I have unfinished business.”

               Severus didn’t move. He could hear Alecto’s footsteps coming closer. He tightened his hold on his wand, several curses on the tip of his tongue ready to be fired one after the other. He didn’t care about the law at this moment. He was ready to kill this cow that dared to threaten his daughter. And he felt like he might do just that if those Aurors didn’t show up in the next minute.

               “Oh, little girl,” Alecto called out, her voice closer now. Severus looked down, seeing the woman’s shadow move closer. “Time to come out and play!”

               Severus twisted his wand slightly, watching the shadow move even closer, an unforgiveable on his lips as he prepared to curse the woman.

               Alecto’s grin grew as she paused near the largest cactus in the garden. She raised her wand, a curse on the top of her tongue as she started to lean forward.

               Before she could move, Athena flew down from the sky with talons out and lashed at Alecto’s face, startling the woman enough that she dropped her wand. Athena slashed and bit at Alecto, growling as best she could.

               Alecto screamed and swatted at the bird, trying to bat the creature off her.

               “You ungrateful, worthless animal!” Alecto shouted as she kept fighting off the owl, her face slowly turning red from the scratches and bites.

               Severus stepped out from behind the cactus and aimed his wand directly at Alecto.

               “Petrificus Totalus!” he shouted.

               Athena flew away just in time for Alecto to see the purple flash of the spell before it struck her, knocking her back a step before her arms and legs snapped together. She teetered for a moment before falling on her face.

Severus relaxed, then squeezed Iris to his chest again as Aurors flew down to the garden, securing Alecto Carrow along with her brother and their accomplice, Gibbon. Three Aurors escorted the Carrows and Gibbon off the grounds and disapparated away. The rest of the Aurors secured the manor as a crime scene, setting up wards and wrapping magical tape around the property that would alert the Aurors to any intruders. Three house elves were located, and they all chose to stay on the property as it was their home, and they couldn’t be freed anyway. Some magical binds simply could not be broken.

Severus sat down on a bench in the garden and kissed his daughter before allowing an Auror to check over her head wound, and the Auror healed it and then undid Iris’s glowing eyes with a counter spell.

               “Must have been accidental magic,” the Auror explained. “She’s a brave little girl to get herself out of the house.”

               “I know,” Severus said, rocking Iris against him once she was healed and back in is arms. She clung to him like a lifeline, and despite how brave she acted in the moment, he knew all of Iris’s fears were slowly working their way out of her.

               “Why don’t you take her home?” the Auror said. “We don’t need to get a statement from her right now. She needs the rest.”

               Loud screeching caught Severus’s ears, and he looked back at where two Aurors were struggling to shove Athena into a bird cage. That bird had saved his daughter’s life, and he swiftly walked over toward the Aurors.

               “What are you doing?” Severus asked.

               “The bird is going up for auction,” an Auror said. “Alecto Carrow disowned it. Come on, bird, quit being difficult!”

               Athena snapped her beak at the Auror’s hands, then squealed as the other Auror tried to force the door to the cage shut on her.

               “Leave her!” Severus snapped. “Obviously, she doesn’t like the cage.”

               “What, do you want her?” one of the Aurors’ asked.

               Severus hesitated, then adjusted Iris and held an arm out. He whistled softly to the bird.

               Athena stared at him with piercing eyes for a moment before she flapped her wings over to him, gripping his arm tightly with her talons before flinching away and closing her eyes. Severus waited until the bird relaxed and opened her eyes again, then he moved his arm closer to his own body. The Aurors watched him, then shrugged and vanished the cage.

               “I’m going home now,” Severus announced. “Thank you all for helping me find my daughter.”

               Everyone nodded and waved Severus off as he disapparated.

               Once he arrived home, he wordlessly and wandlessly created a small perch in his living room with a food and water bowl attached and filled. Athena eagerly hoped off his arm to the perch, munching on the food immediately.

               Carrying his daughter upstairs and to his bedroom, he waved his hand over Iris to change her clothes to sleepwear. He settled down with her and she snuggled against him. It took an hour before Iris drifted off to sleep, but Severus didn’t sleep a wink that night. He held his daughter close, reliving just how close he came to losing her that night.

 

               Harry’s eyes fluttered open, and he nearly panicked as he looked around, belatedly remembering that he was in Joshua’s room in the Brown house. He rubbed his eyes and sat up, yawning, and stretching. He slid out of bed and headed for the bedroom door, his hand reaching up for the doorknob.

               “Hey,” Joshua whispered to him.

               Harry turned around and blinked at Joshua.

               “What are you doing?” Joshua asked.

               “I have to make breakfast,” Harry said. “Or coffee, I mean.”

               “We don’t drink coffee,” Joshua said. “Mum prefers tea. Dad, too.”

               “I can make tea. How do they like it?”

               “I don’t know. They’re not up yet. No one’s up yet.” Joshua glanced at his clock. He said through a yawn, “It’s only four-thirty.”

               “But there’s a lot of you. I can start making breakfast for everyone and it’ll be ready when you all wake up and come down to eat.”  

               “Who do you think we are, the Royal Family?” Joshua was quick to say. “Mum won’t like it if you make breakfast without her. Besides, Esther can be picky and really hard to please with breakfast. I would just wait for Mum to get up. Come on, get back in bed. We can sleep a couple more hours.”

               “I’m not tired.”

               “Then you can watch me sleep for a couple hours. Come on.”

               Joshua waved Harry back toward the bed, and Harry reluctantly crawled back in bed next to Joshua. Joshua fluffed up his pillow and plopped down on it while Harry slowly lied down on the spare pillow.

               “Joshua?” Harry asked.

               “Hmm?”

               “Do you think Daddy found Iris?”

               “Yeah, he did.”

               “Really?”

               “Yeah. No one messes with Severus. Your dad’s scary when he wants to be.”

               Harry thought about that for a moment and decided he could agree with Joshua. His father could be scary sometimes, but he wondered if it was just the way his father dressed and talked. Severus should try lighter colors, like a bright green or an orange. Orange would look nice on Severus, like a bright sun. Or pink. Iris had a lot of pink. Everywhere. His room was mostly blue with dinosaurs. He liked his room like that with no pink. Maybe Severus would look less scary if he looked like his bedroom.

               “Joshua?”

               “Hmmm,” Joshua groaned, sounding like he had been close to sleep.

               “Do you think Daddy would look less scary if he wore blue and he had dinosaurs all over him?”  

               “Pffft,” Joshua spluttered before laughter broke through his lips.

               Harry frowned at first, then started laughing as well.

               “I bet he’d look great!” Joshua said in between fits of giggles. “Especially if he went to Hogwarts in a robe like that.”

               Both boys broke out in more laughter. As they settled down, Joshua wrapped an arm around Harry.

               “Go to sleep,” Joshua said gently. “You’re making me wake up more.”

               “Sorry,” Harry apologized with a grin.

               “No, you’re not,” Joshua grumbled playfully.

               In a few minutes, both boys managed to fall back to sleep for a couple more hours before Samuel woke them up and made sure they were crawling out of bed before leaving the room. Harry found clothes set aside for him on Joshua’s nightstand, and Joshua showed him to the bathroom across the hall. After tending to his morning needs and dressing, Joshua ran down the stairs with Harry right behind him. Ruth was already sitting at the dining table with a sketchbook in her hands and colored pencils scattered around her. Harry paused and watched as Joshua paused behind her.

               “Hey, Ruth,” Joshua greeted while trying to look at the drawing that his sister hid against her chest. “Whatcha drawing now?”

               “None of your business,” Ruth said. “Go away.”

               “Why can’t I ever see what you draw?” Joshua tried to peer at the sketchbook that Ruth kept pulling out of his sight.

               “Stop it.”

               “Come on, I’m just curious. Is it a butterfly? A princess? A secret boyfriend?”

               “Daddy, Joshua’s bugging me again!” Ruth yelled.

               “No, I’m not!” Joshua yelled out quickly.

               “Joshua, leave your sister alone!” Samuel called from somewhere in the house.

               “Tattletale,” Joshua whispered at Ruth.

               “Dad said leave me alone,” Ruth told her brother as she returned to her drawing.

               Before Joshua could retort, Esther zoomed by them in just her underwear. Joshua took off after her, chasing her around the dining table before he managed to catch her and tickle her to the ground.

               “We wear more than one piece of clothes in our house,” Joshua signed to Esther.

               Esther shook her head, then held both arms out, elbows bent in, one arm over the other while one hand closed with just her pinky and index finger sticking out while her other hand closed and opened.

               Joshua gasped, then twisted a closed fist while also shaking his head.

               “No,” he told her. He stuck out a pinky and jabbed it in Esther’s direction twice as he said, “That’s naughty.”

               Esther stuck out her tongue as she repeated the sign.

               “Mum, Esther learned a bad sign again!” Joshua called out, standing up and letting Esther escape.

               “What is she signing now?” Tori asked as she stepped out of the kitchen, mixing something in a bowl.

               Joshua repeated the sign. Tori groaned, then glared at her husband as Samuel came down the stairs with Esther’s clothes in hand, looking for his daughter. He hesitated at his wife’s look. Tori signed what Joshua had showed her and Samuel smirked as he held up his hands.

               “I promise you; it wasn’t me,” Samuel said. “At least not that one.”

               “Then where would she have learned it?” Tori asked. “It wasn’t me.”

               “Who knows. We just had the family reunion. You want to go interrogate everyone again?”

               “Maybe. She’s three going on four, she shouldn’t even know signs like that.”

               “She’ll learn them all sooner or later,” Samuel said as he came around the table, following Esther who kept the table between them, sticking her tongue out at her father. Samuel gave her a look before signing as he spoke. “Troublemaker. You come here and put these clothes on.”

               Esther shook her head.

               The two had a stare down, both judging which way the other would move before Samuel darted to the right, snatching a squealing Esther before she could run away too far. Samuel wrestled his daughter into a shirt and overalls.

               “Breakfast is ready,” Tori said, “everyone, sit down at the table.”

               Samuel plopped Esther into her raised seat at the table while Joshua encouraged Harry to sit next to him. Harry slowly moved toward the table, taking the seat next to Joshua.

               “Your father left this here for you,” Samuel said, handing an inhaler to Harry. “You know how to make it work, right?”

               “Yeah,” Harry said as he accepted the device and took a puff from it.

               Tori laid out crepes covered in blueberries and strawberries in front of everyone, then filled each cup with orange juice. Samuel grabbed the Daily Prophet and began reading the paper as he took a seat at the head of the table, enjoying a plate himself with a cup of tea. Tori sat down last and assisted Esther in cutting up her breakfast. Esther squirmed in her seat while trying to use her hands to eat her breakfast, which Tori kept putting an end to.

               “Ruth, sketchbook away,” Tori said, “time to eat.”

               Ruth sighed but set her book aside. She picked at her food, taking a bite every few minutes.

               Joshua ate his breakfast like he’d never eaten before, quickly helping himself to seconds. Harry slowly ate his food, trying not to seem rude by not eating every bite, but he was getting really full, and he’d only managed to eat half of it. He forced another bite and made a face as he chewed.

               “Harry, hun,” Tori said from across the table, “you don’t have to eat it all if you’re getting full.”

               Harry gratefully put his fork down and pushed the plate back, glad Tori wasn’t mad at him.

               After breakfast, everyone scrambled for backpacks and last-minute items while Harry watched them from the couch in the living room.

               “Dad, can’t I take a day off from school?” Joshua asked.

               “No, go out to the car.”

               “Why not? I share Harry’s fears.” Joshua pulled an anguished face. “This kind of mental trauma does not belong in public school.”

               Samuel tapped his son’s head twice.      

               “There, you’re cured. Hallelujah. Go get in the car.”

Joshua huffed but said goodbye to Harry as he ran out the door, Tori following with Esther and Ruth. Harry sighed and laid down on the couch, feeling very tired still.

               The fireplace flared up, turning green for a moment as Severus appeared.

               “Daddy!” Harry cried, jumping up and running to Severus.

               “Hey, Harry,” Severus greeted, lifting his son up into his arms. He kissed Harry’s temple. “Did you have fun with Joshua?”

               “Yeah, he’s fun,” Harry said.

               “Hey man,” Samuel said as he walked into the living room. “How’s Iris?”

               “Still asleep,” Severus answered. “She’s been quiet. We’re going to take the rest of the week off from school and have some family time together. I’ve already got a substitute to cover for me at Hogwarts.”

               “That’s good,” Samuel said. “She’ll need it.”

               “Thank you again for watching him for me.”

               “Of course. Any time you need us, we’re here.”

               Severus took Harry home through the floo, but he was quickly distracted from going upstairs by the doorbell ringing. Frowning, he set Harry down and sent him up to his bedroom. He cast a see-through charm at his door as a precaution and blinked in surprise. He opened the door.

               “Dahlia?” Severus frowned.

               “Morning, Sev,” Dahlia smiled softly at him. She still had a scar on her head, but otherwise, she seemed completely recovered from the accident after her night in St. Mungo’s. She looked exhausted though, with bags under her eyes and her clothes wrinkled.

               “This is a violation of your restraining order, you know.” Severus crossed his arms.

               “I know,” Dahlia said quickly, closing her eyes for a moment. “I didn’t come to see Iris. How is she?”

               “Traumatized,” Severus said bluntly. Dahlia closed her eyes tighter, as if resisting tears. Severus sighed, then added, “she’ll heal. I’m going to help her with that.”

               “I know you will. I didn’t want to leave without saying goodbye.”

               “To who? Me or your daughter?”

               “I was hoping you could tell her for me. You know, since I can’t see her for ninety days. I’m going to leave the area for a while. I have nothing keeping me here, anyway, no house, no car, no job. My parents could care less if I see them or not. So, I’m going to start over somewhere new.” Dahlia’s eyes welled with tears. “I’m going to miss her, though.”

               Severus sighed, looking down to avoid the hurt in Dahlia’s eyes.

               “You’ve made a lot of poor decisions these last few weeks,” he said.   

               “I know. You were right. I need to figure out what’s important to me. I’m going to do that. And when Iris is ready, maybe we can visit again?”

               “We’ll see.”

               Severus didn’t want to get his hopes up. Iris had a lot to work through herself, as did Dahlia.

               “Only if she wants to,” Dahlia said, her face falling. “I know our visits weren’t her favorite thing and she’ll probably be happier without them.

               “She does love you, Dahlia.”

               “Not like she loves you.”

               “I play a different role in her life than you do. But she looks up to you. You give her the kind of maternal love I could never replace. That’s all she wants from you—your love and devoted attention.”

               “Which I failed to give.”

               “As you said, you’re going to work on that.” Severus paused in thought for a moment. “I have something for you.”

               “You do?” Dahlia’s eyebrows shot up.

               “Wait here.”

               Dahlia watched as Severus disappeared in his house, then reappeared a moment later. Dahlia’s eyes widened and she shook her head, taking a step back.

               “No, Severus, I can’t,” she started to say.

               “Hold up,” Severus interrupted, allowing the great horned owl on his arm to adjust herself. “I know you’ve never been a big fan of birds, but this one’s different. Her name’s Athena. She needs healing. Someone to depend on and learn to trust again. She’s not a big fan of cages, so she’s pretty light travel.”

               Dahlia licked her lips before stepping forward again and holding her arm out. Athena tilted her head at Dahlia before slowly hopping over to the woman. Dahlia reached up a hand to pet the owl, pausing when Athena jerked her head away and stared up at the hand above her. After a few seconds, Athena pushed her head up into Dahlia’s hand, and Dahlia breathed a sigh of relief as she pet the bird.

               “Besides,” Severus added in, “after ninety days, you’ll need a better way to keep in touch than muggle landlines.”

               Dahlia snorted and smiled at Severus.

               “Right,” she agreed playfully. She carefully kept her arm out to support the owl as she stepped back. “She’s very sweet. Thank you, Severus.”

               “Good luck, Dahlia.”

               Dahlia apparated away, leaving behind a conflicted Severus.

               He made his way upstairs to his bedroom, smiling softly at Iris and Harry cuddled up on his bed, both asleep. It had been a long night for all three of them, so he figured it wouldn’t hurt to start the week off with a long nap. He managed to slide in on the edge of his bed. For small kids, they certainly took up a lot of space. But he was okay with that. He ran his hand through Harry’s hair before doing the same with Iris’s, gently untangling his hand through her long locks. With an arm around both kids, he fell asleep with hopeful dreams of a brighter future.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
The sign Esther somehow picked up is: "bullshit."
Nami and Pappy by krosi

 

               “What happened to Athena?” Iris asked one morning, a few days after the kidnapping incident.

               Severus looked up from behind the Daily Prophet, a bit caught off guard by her questions. Iris hadn’t spoken much about the events that occurred that day and night, but she seemed to be faring well despite it. Addie had managed to get more of the story out of her and how she felt about what had happened, but Iris seemed ready to move on. Her resilience reminded Severus a lot of Dahlia. No matter what was thrown at her, she always seemed to overcome it.

               “Athena went with your mother,” Severus answered.

               “Really?” Iris asked. She picked at her cereal for a moment before frowning and saying, “Mummy doesn’t like owls. They scare her.”

               “Well, she seemed to like this one. I think they’ll get along pretty well.”

               “Is mummy coming back?” Iris asked.

               “Not right now,” Severus said slowly, studying Iris. “She’s taking some time to herself to figure out a few things. Why? Do you wish to see her?”

               Iris shook her head.

               “That’s okay. If you ever change your mind, you let me know.”

               Iris was silent as she took another bite of her cereal. Severus watched her for a moment before turning back to his paper. As much as he never wanted Dahlia to be alone with Iris again, he knew that he would have to give Dahlia the chance to reconcile with her daughter in the future. Of course, he would make sure Iris was interested in reforming a relationship with her mother first and foremost. Dahlia put Iris through a traumatic period, intentional or not, and it was only fair that Iris had a say in when or if she saw her mother again. Family court may not agree with him, but he would fight tooth and nail for his daughter’s right in her relationship with Dahlia.

               Finding the wizarding news, a bit lackluster, Severus glanced at his other child. Harry was picking through his cereal as well, taking the smallest bites now and then. He had decreased his nutrition potion to once a day, and he was sure Healer Villin would tell him to discontinue it all together now that Harry was looking more like a healthy young boy. He also wanted to discuss Harry’s asthma treatment as well, seeing how Harry still had episodes now and then.

               Severus glanced at his watch, then back at his children. They still had a few minutes before they would have to head over to the doctor’s office, so Severus figured he should make sure the kids get their shoes and jackets now. Merlin knows how long it takes those two to do such simple tasks.

               “Finish eating, you two. We have to leave soon, and you need to get your shoes and jackets on.”

               “I don’t want to see the doctor,” Harry mumbled.

               “I know you don’t, but I’m afraid it is not an option. We have to make sure your asthma is controlled and that you are all up to date on your . . . on everything you need to stay healthy.”

               While Severus wasn’t against being honest with why they were going to see the doctor, he was sure telling Harry that he might be getting vaccines would send the child into a tantrum and then into “I’m not getting into the car” mode. Severus swore Harry turned into a professional wrestling champion when it came to that mode, and he would kick, scream, and throw himself around to avoid getting in his car seat where Severus could then charm the seat buckle to stay locked, and no amount of bargaining or pleading worked to appease Harry to climb in on his own. The whole ordeal could waste up to fifteen minutes of their time, though thankfully this situation had only occurred twice, once when Harry wasn’t feeling up to going to school, and another time when Severus had taken Harry to the dentist. Perhaps some omission of the truth this morning was necessary.

               “Why do I have to go?” Iris asked moodily.

               Severus bit his inner cheek as he had a mental war about whether he should tell Iris she was due for a final vaccine in a series. The most Iris would do was shed a few tears while Severus explained that it would only pinch a little and she would get her usual treat after. But if he said that Iris was getting a vaccine, that might make Harry worry, and he certainly wouldn’t lie to Harry at that point.

               “We have to make sure you are up to date as well,” Severus decided to say.   

               “I am,” Iris said with a nod of her head.

               Severus snorted at her conviction before returning to his paper. As soon as both kids were in their shoes and jackets, he herded them out the door and made sure they were settled in their car seats before climbing in himself and driving for the doctor’s office. Once there, his kids stayed at his side while he checked them in, Iris hopeful for an early treat as she smiled at the receptionist behind the window.

               “Hello, how can I help you?” the lady asked, smiling back at Iris.

               “I’m checking in Harry and Iris Snape,” Severus said.

               “The doctor will be right with you two, go ahead and have a seat.”

               Severus sat down while Iris and Harry checked out the books in the kid’s play area. After a few minutes, they were called in by a nurse, and once they went through the check in process and had vitals taken, Healer Villin was quick to appear.

               “How is everyone in the Snape household?” Healer Villin asked as he washed his hands in the room before spelling them dry.

               “I am perfectly healthy,” Iris proclaimed, sitting up proudly on the table.

               Harry simply hid his face against Severus where he sat next to his father in the chairs.

               “Harry’s been thriving,” Severus answered for him, rubbing his son’s back comfortingly. “He’s eating better, sleeping better, and takes his medicine as he should when I remind him. He still has some coughing episodes now and then, especially still at night when he’s sleeping, but for the most part, his asthma seems controlled.”

               “Sounds like we’re on the right track,” Healer Villin said. “Unfortunately, some things may still trigger flare ups: pollen, bad weather, sinus infections, throwing a tantrum.” Healer Villin gave Harry a knowing, amused look.

               “I don’t throw tantrums,” Harry argued, peering out at Healer Villin.

               “Okay, my bad. How have you been feeling, Harry? Does it ever hurt to breathe, or do you feel like your chest hurts sometimes?”

               “Sometimes,” Harry agreed.

               “Okay. Let’s take a look at that throat and chest.” Healer Villin held his wand out toward Harry. “May I?”

               Harry nodded and sat up a bit, but he didn’t leave Severus’s side.

               Healer Villin flicked his wand at Harry, casting a see-through spell that allowed Healer Villin to take a glimpse at Harry’s throat and then down his trachea and to his lungs. Healer Villin nodded at what he saw then cancelled the charm. He cast one more spell that sent gold shimmers around Harry before a scroll appeared, and the doctor read what was written.

               “I’m still noting very slight inflammation but really it is much better from where we started. He’s also pretty healthy overall, a lot of his deficiencies are resolving, so he can come off the nutrient potion as long as he keeps eating good. And no fever today, so we’ll get him up to date while he’s here. Harry is still taking a single puff of his inhaler twice daily?”

               “Yes,” Severus answered.

               “Let’s increase it to two twice daily,” Healer Villin decided. “We can recheck how he is doing in a month.”

               Severus nodded and Harry snuggled back against Severus while frowning at the doctor for a moment. He pointed at Healer Villin’s name tag.

               “Your name is spelled like “villain,”” Harry pointed out. “Like an evil villain.”

               “It is, isn’t it?” Healer Villin said with a smile. “But have no fear, I am probably the nicest guy you’ll ever meet.”

               “No, that’s Daddy,” Harry said.

               Severus chuckled while Healer Villin smiled.

               “Okay, second nicest. Now, let’s take a look at you, missy.” Healer Villin turned to Iris who was swinging her legs on the patient table. She sat up and smiled at the doctor. Healer Villin waved his wand to cast an overall health check, and gold swirls shimmered around Iris before fading away while a scroll popped up in thin air near the doctor. Healer Villin grabbed it and read his findings. “And no fever as well, you are in fit health, as always.”

               “I told you,” Iris said.

               “So you did.” Healer Villin turned toward a tray that was sitting on the counter. “Well, Iris is due for a final vaccine in her series and then she is all set, and Harry’s medical records came in and he is actually overdue for two vaccines, so we’ll get him started on those.”

               When Healer turned around, he had three syringes lined up on the counter and alcohol swabs at the ready.

               “So he wants to go first?” Healer Villin asked.

               Iris shot off the table and threw herself at Severus, wrapping her arms around her father’s neck and burying her face in his shoulder while Harry hid his face in Severus’s side, clinging to his father. Severus sighed.

               “Great,” he said, “now I get to be the bad guy.”

               “Oh, no, I think I’m still the villain,” Healer Villin said with a wink at Severus.

               Two crying children later, Healer Villin was profusely apologizing while offering a lollipop to each kid. Iris accepted hers as if it was owed to her and began sucking on it immediately while rubbing her arm. Harry hesitated when one was offered to him, but he slowly accepted it and asked Severus to help him open it before he could enjoy it too. Both children were calming down quickly, so Severus was sure the shots hadn’t been that awful. He thanked the doctor and took each kid by a hand and led them out of the office.

               Back in the car, Severus glanced in the rearview mirror at his kids and said, “I’ll give you both the option again: go to school and finish out the day or go to Nami and Pappy’s house.”

               “Nami and Pappy’s!” Iris cheered while Harry remained silent.

               “Harry, you get a vote, too. Want to go see Nami and Pappy? You haven’t had a chance to spend the day with them yet.”

               Harry shrugged.

               “I think you’ll have fun at Nami and Pappy’s,” Severus decided before starting the car and pulling out the doctor’s office. “Besides, I think it’s the least I could do after today’s health visit.”

               “Exactly,” Iris agreed, rubbing her arm again.

               It was a thirty-minute drive to Eileen and Tobias’s house, and Severus walked his kids up to the door. He had talked to his parents the night before about possibly dropping off the kids for the rest of the afternoon while he finished teaching, and they had both been ecstatic to spend time with their grandchildren. Severus knocked on the door before entering.

               “Ma,” he called out, shutting the door behind him.

               Iris ran off in search of her grandparents while Harry stayed next to Severus.

               No one came immediately or said anything back. Severus frowned and followed after Iris, Harry right at his heels. The parlor was empty as was the kitchen. The backdoor was open, and Severus cautiously slid down the hall, his hand twitching to grab his wand. Something wasn’t right—why on earth would his parents leave the backdoor open if they weren’t home? Even if they were outside, they tended to shut the door. Stepping onto the back porch, Severus glanced around the small backyard where rows of plants and vegetable endured the cold weather under heating and greenhouse charms in the neatly tended to gardens.

               He spotted his father lying on the ground near the shed and his first thought was heart attack.

               “Dad!” he cried, running toward the shed, Iris and Harry running after him.

               As he approached, Tobias pulled himself out from under the shed, looking surprised to see Severus there. Severus stopped short and let out a breath of relief.

               “For Merlin’s sake,” Severus snapped, “what on earth are you doing under there?”

               “Windstorm blew all my tools around the other night,” Tobias said. “I was looking for all my spade. I can see it but I just can’t reach it.”

               “I can get it for you, Pappy,” Iris volunteered, dropping to the ground and crawling under the shed before Severus could say anything to stop her. He groaned as he watched her clean clothes slowly turn brown as she disappeared under the shed. After a second, her head poked out and she held out the spade victoriously. “I got it!”

               “Thank you, sweetheart,” Tobias said. He accepted the spade and set it down and attempted to stand, groaning. He held out a hand to Severus. “Little help, son?”

               Severus rolled his eyes but grabbed his father’s hand and pulled him to his feet.

               “What would you have done if I hadn’t shown up?” Severus asked.

               “I would have figured something out. Your mother and I weren’t expecting you till noon if you were coming at all. You’re early.” Tobias picked up his spade once he was on his feet, carefully bending over to do so.

               “Where’s Ma?”

               “She went out for groceries,” Tobias explained. “Wanted some snacks for the kids when they got here.”

               “And she left you alone?”

               “I’m not an invalid, Severus.”

               “Your doctor told you to take it easy and here I find you crawling around under sheds. That’s not taking it easy.”

               “I’ve been fine. I take my medicine and the potions your mother feeds me. I’ve never felt better. I’ve got all my tools now, so no more crawling under sheds, okay? I’m heading back inside now, doctor.”

               Tobias led the way back to the house where he set the tools in the mudroom, then waited for Severus and the kids to come back inside before shutting the door.

               “You left the door open, too,” Severus added.

               “I thought I closed it all the way. Wind must have pushed it open again. I don’t have the hand strength I used to have.”

               “Pappy, do you like my new shoes?” Iris asked, showing off her pink sparkly shoes.

               “When did you get new shoes?” Tobias asked.

               “Ruth grew out of them, and she only wore them twice so Tori gave them to me.”

               “They sparkle just like you,” Tobias said, lifting Iris and tossing her up slightly.  

               Severus refrained from commenting on the action. He was hesitant to leave his kids with just his father at home. He was sure his kids wouldn’t give Tobias any problems but if a medical crisis occurred when he left, and Eileen didn’t get back in time . . .

               “Your mother should be back soon,” Tobias said, reading Severus’s concerned face accurately. He set Iris down. “I ain’t keeling over in the next five minutes.”

               “I know, I just . . .” Severus trailed off, unsure how to word his concerns. “You really don’t mind your own health sometimes, Dad.”

               “I’m still cancer free according to my last checkup. I’d like to live a little while I still can.”

               “What’s cancer?” Harry asked, looking up at Severus and then at Tobias.

               “An awful evil,” Tobias answered. He smiled at Harry. “Don’t worry about it, kiddo, it’s nothing hurting anyone now. I’ve beaten it off, scared it away with my mighty roar.”

               Tobias gave his best roar; of what kind of animal was undetermined. Regardless, Harry laughed, Iris smiling up at her grandfather.

               “Okay, if you’re sure you can handle them until Ma get’s back.”

               “We’ll be fine, Sev. Get back to your job yelling at miscreant teens.”

               “I don’t yell at anyone,” Severus said as he reluctantly turned away.

               “My bad, snap and growl.”

               Severus gave his father one last annoyed look before he smiled at his children. “You two behave for Pappy. And Nami when she gets back.”

               “Yes, Daddy,” Iris said while Harry ran over to Severus.

               “Can’t I come with you?” Harry asked.

               “You’ll just be bored sitting at my desk,” Severus said, kneeling so he was Harry’s level. He brushed Harry’s hair back, then smirked as he said, “And trust me, the students don’t need any more lessons on paleontology. You’ll love spending time with Nami and Pappy. You’ll probably want to come back all the time. I know Iris does.”

               “Okay. You’ll pick us up when you’re done?”

               Severus kissed Harry’s temple.

               “Of course,” he said. He stood up and ruffled Harry’s hair. “Be good. I’ll see you in time for dinner.”

               Harry waved goodbye to his father before Tobias called him into the parlor .

               “While we wait for Nami to come back and make us all lunch, how about some good ol’ muggle TV?”

               “Yes! Can we watch The Care Bears Movie again?” Iris asked.

               “Again? We watched that three times the last time you were here.”

               “It’s my favorite.”

               “Well, how about you, Harry? Anything you want to watch?”

               “I don’t know any tv stuff,” Harry confessed.

               “I think its time we teach you some tv stuff,” Tobias said. “Come check out the tapes we’ve got. There’s the Care Bears, The Never-Ending Story, Peter Pan, The Black Cauldron . . .”

               “Ooh, the Black Cauldron has a princess in it,” Iris said. “And magic! Lots of magic.”

               “Umm, okay, the Black Cauldron?” Harry said.

               “You don’t have to agree just because Iris wants to watch it, you know.”

               “No, I want to watch it, too.”

               “The Black Cauldron it is,” Tobias said, setting the tape in the player and pressing play on the device. He settled on the couch and Iris quickly snuggled in against her grandfather while Harry awkwardly stood off to the side of the furniture, twiddling his thumbs.

               “Come sit down,” Tobias encouraged. “You can sit next to me, I promise, I don’t bite.”

               Harry slowly moved around to the other side of Tobias and slowly let himself sink down into the sofa. He sat back a bit stiffly, then startled when Tobias put an arm around him and pulled him into his side.

               “See?” Tobias said. “No biting. You can relax around me. I’m supposed to be the fun grandpa, not the mean ol’ miserable grouch one.”

               Harry smiled at Tobias’s imitation of a miserable grouch while Iris laughed.

               The movie began, and Harry was pulled into a fantastical world of wizards, knights, and magical pigs and cauldrons. Watching the boiling pot reminded Harry of Severus working over a cauldron, throwing all sorts of oddities left and right and producing something that tasted foul and smelled just as atrocious. Harry liked the goofy Gurgi and Iris enjoyed all the scenes with Princess Eilonwy the best. Almost three quarters of the way through, Harry felt his eyes grow heavy and before he knew it, he was dreaming of himself saving Hen Wen the pig himself from the evil Horned King. Iris was not far behind him and they both napped against their grandfather, who managed to change the tv to display a football game without disturbing either kid.

               When Eileen returned, she began working on lunch for the family, and it was to those delicious spices and scents that Harry woke up to. He noticed that Iris and Tobias were asleep on the couch, a football game playing on the tv. He rubbed his eyes and fixed his glasses on his face.

               Sliding off the couch, Harry headed for the kitchen, yawning, and rubbing at an eye a little more.

               “Good afternoon, sleepypie,” Eileen greeted.

               “Good afternoon, Nami,” Harry repeated. “Whatcha making?”

               “Kartoffelsuppe.”

               “Kar-what?”

               Eileen snorted, smiling down at Harry as she stirred something in a large pot. She motioned Harry to come closer, then summoned a step stool for Harry to climb up on. He looked down in the pot and realized it was a soup full of potatoes, sausage, and vegetables.

               “It’s a kind of potato soup, a German recipe made with Regensburg sausage and lots of good veggies. This has been a long time Prince favorite. It’s going to warm you right up in this weather.”

               “Can I try some?”

               Eileen summoned a spoon and dipped it into the soup, collecting a bite of sausage and vegetables on it as well. She blew on the spoon, using a cooling charm in her breath to cool it down before offering it to Harry, who accepted the bite and chewed slowly, humming in delight as he did so.

               “It’s good,” Harry said. “Needs paprika.”

               “You think so?” Eileen said with a smirk. “Severus did say you were something of a cook.”

               Eileen summoned paprika and handed the container to Harry.
               “Go ahead. Perfect it.”

               Harry added a few pinches of paprika while Eileen stirred the soup. They let the soup cook for a few minutes before tasting the soup again, Eileen taking a bite herself. They both hummed and nodded in agreement.

               “Delicious,” they said at the same time, making Harry laugh.

               “You never let me taste lunch before its ready,” Tobias complained as he walked into the kitchen. “Can I get in on this?”

               Tobias paused next to Eileen and opened his mouth, ready for a bite of soup. Eileen swatted at him with a dishcloth, shooing him away from her pot.

               “Get out of here,” she said. “You can eat when it’s served.”

               “I see how it is.” Tobias made a sad face, a hand clenched over his heart. “I’ve been replaced by someone younger and far better looking than I.”

               “Oh, knock it off.”

               Harry laughed at his grandfather’s antics.

               “You think it’s funny stealing my wife?” Tobias said. He raised his fists mockingly. “I’ll take you on, you little brat.”

               Harry used the dishcloth Eileen had used to swat at Tobias, who dodged the attack then lunged forward and tickled Harry, pulling him off the stepstool and into his arms, causing Harry to squeal and squirm. Iris came into the kitchen at that moment, and she smiled and charged her grandfather, wrapping her arms around one of his as if to pull it away from Harry and free her brother.

               “Take it easy,” Eileen scolded lightly, “All of you. Tobias, you’re going to hurt yourself and you’re going to make Harry have an episode.”

               Tobias slowly lowered Harry to the ground, ruffling his hair once he was steadily on his feet.

               “Lunch is ready, everyone, sit at the table please,” Eileen said, and everyone ran to a seat at the table, including Tobias, who held his bowl up eagerly for the soup.

               “I married a child,” Eileen muttered as she took his bowl to fill.

 

               As the last of the students piled out of his classroom, Severus noted the line of students waiting outside with quill and parchment in hand. He sighed and called the first student in. It was known throughout the school that Severus often left after his last class of the day, so any questions the students had would have to wait until in between classes the next day if the students couldn’t catch him right before he left. So generally, there was a line waiting outside his last class of the day.

               The questions didn’t usually take long as Severus was often able to direct them to a page in their textbook or to another book in the library. Sometimes he would have to go in depth with a couple students about a certain topic, but he could usually see to the line of students in twenty to thirty minutes. Then he usually made a check in with his house, or at least the Head Boy or Girl to make sure all is well, and everyone is following his house rules.

               After that, Severus could leave, and today was no different. Forty minutes after his last class ended, he had seen to every student who had questions for him and seen to his house, and now he was set to leave. He was sure his kids were fine, being in the care of his mother, so he wasn’t rushing around trying to get out of Hogwarts, but he did want some quality evening time with his children, so he was trying to leave before dinner time would usually be served at his house.

               Finally, he made it to his quarters and used his floo to head directly to his mother’s house.

               “Daddy!” Iris and Harry greeted him immediately.

               He wrapped his arms around both kids, lifting them up and kissing them both.

               “Were you good for Nami and Pappy?” he asked them, and when they both nodded, he set them down. They ran back to where they had been lying on the floor with Tobias, who was sitting down on the ground still.

               “We’re playing exploding snap,” Iris said.

               “And I am failing miserably,” Tobias said. “I’ll never understand the appeal of this game. Also, glad you’re here, son, a little help?”

               Tobias held out a hand, and though Severus rolled his eyes, he offered a hand to his father and helped him to his feet.

               “Nami made kartoffelsuppe,” Harry said, “I got to help a little.”

               “Nami did what?” Severus asked.

               “That potato soup you never know the name of,” Eileen said as she rejoined everyone in the parlor with a tray of biscuits. “You know, the Prince family recipe.”

               “That one,” Severus said in understanding.

               “Harry made an excellent adjustment to the soup. I think I will make it that way from now on. It’ll be our secret ingredient.” Eileen winked at Harry who winked back.

               “Thank you for watching them,” Severus said. “After their morning, I really didn’t want to force them to have to spend the rest of the day in school. Especially Mr. Grumpy.” Severus whispered the last part to his mother.

               “He was an angel for us,” Eileen said. “And we will never say no to spending time with our grandchildren.” Eileen lowered the tray of biscuits and Iris and Harry quickly grabbed for some. “Okay, my loves, take as many biscuits as you can eat. As many as possible. I want your dad extra annoyed with me tonight.”

               Severus made a face at his mother before herding his children toward the fireplace, trying to ignore the cookies they were shoving down their throats. Harry and Iris waved goodbye to their grandparents as they flooed away, and as soon as they got back home, Iris was asking when their next visit was going to be.

               “When do we get to see Nami and Pappy again?” Iris asked.

               “Can they come visit us here?” Harry asked. “I want to show Pappy my room and Nami can cook with me.”

               “We’ll see,” Severus said, though he was glad Harry had come around to his grandparents so quickly.

                 

 

To be continued...
A Serious Scare by krosi

               Climbing under the bed, Harry felt around for anything interesting, and his hand brushed up against a wooden box. Using both hands to grip the box, Harry shuffled backward and out from under the bed and studied his find. He opened the box and shuffled through it, first pulling out a green and silver badge with a snake on in the center. He ran his fingers over the embroidered design before setting the badge back in the box. There were old textbooks, a crumpled, black pointed hat, a journal with cursive scrawl Harry couldn’t read.

               He was about to push the box back under the bed when one more book caught his eye. He reached for the bottom of the box, feeling the binding of the green book before he managed to slide it out from under the textbooks. It had a blank cover, but opening to a random page, Harry saw many photos with some words printed in neat ink next to them. Satisfied with his find, Harry closed the box and slid it back under the bed. He picked up the book and carried it out of the bedroom before skipping down the stairs and heading for his father’s study.

               Severus was working on grading essays, something he did every Saturday morning, Harry was learning. Tum was eating food from his dish in his cage, but he looked up at Harry with a tilted head. Harry moved around Severus’s desk and held out the book to his father.

               “What do you have there?” Severus asked. He raised a brow at Harry as he recognized the album. “Were you snooping through my room again?”

               “No,” Harry replied innocently with a shake of his head.

               “Why do I ask?” Severus asked playfully as he lifted Harry into his lap. “Did you want to look through it?”

               “Can you read it to me?”

               “It’s a photo album. There’s not too much to read.” Severus pushed aside the essays he was grading and opened the album to the first page. There was a wedding photo of a young, happy looking couple that took up the entire page. Harry thought they looked a lot like Nami and Pappy but much younger. Severus tapped a finger on the photo. “This is your Nami and Pappy on their wedding day in nineteen fifty-three.”

               “That’s ancient ago,” Harry remarked.

               Severus smirked down at his son.

               “Don’t tell Nami that.” Severus turned the pages, talking as he did so. “These are more of their wedding photos and reception. They spent their honeymoon in Cornwall then bought the house they live in now soon after.”

               Severus turned to a page where a photo of Eileen took the spotlight. She was showing off a large baby bump, and Harry pointed at her stomach, touching the photo gently.

               “Is that you, Daddy?”

               “Yes, it is. They tried for many years to have a kid, but Ma had a lot of difficulties keeping a baby. She always said I was seven years late.”

               Severus turned the page to a baby photo, and he smiled as he rested his head against Harry’s.

               “You looked a lot like I did when you were born,” Severus said softly.

               “Really?” Harry stared at the picture of his father as a baby. It was strange knowing his father had been a baby that tiny at one time. He looked at a few other baby pictures before reaching up to turn the page himself to a toddler Severus, then again to a child Severus.

               “Ma took far too many pictures,” Severus remarked as he allowed Harry to flip through the album at his own pace. “A pensieve would have worked just as well.”

               Harry wasn’t sure what Severus was talking about, so he kept looking through the photos of Severus as a child until he found one where he was standing next to a familiar redheaded girl. He pointed at the picture.

               “Mummy?” Harry asked.

               “Yes, that’s your mother,” Severus said, sitting up a bit more and tapping the photo. “This was when Lily’s family moved into town. We became fast friends. This was our first day back to muggle school.”

               There were more pictures with Severus and Lily and only a couple had another brunette girl lingering in the background. Harry pointed at the girl in the background.

               “Who’s that?”

               Severus’s eyes hardened slightly, then he cleared his throat and said, “That is Petunia.”

               “Oh,” Harry said. For some reason, the little girl pouting in the photos looked nothing like his aunt. When Severus said nothing more, Harry flipped the page to look at new photos, and thankfully, Petunia was nowhere to be seen. There were more pictures of Lily and Severus at different holidays and then one last photo with Severus and Lily boarding the Hogwarts Express, waving goodbye out a window.

               “What’s that?” Harry asked, pointing at the train.

               “That is the Hogwarts Express, the train that takes students from all over directly to Hogwarts. You will ride that train one day, when you turn eleven and receive your acceptance letter.”

               “Then I go to school with you?”

               “You and Iris will live at the school. I will, too, but you will stay in your dormitory in whatever house you end up in.”

               “What’s that mean?”

               “Well, Hogwarts has four houses. Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, and Slytherin. The sorting hat will decide which house you end up in and you will stay there. Of course, you are more than welcome to come visit me, but I’m sure once you get to Hogwarts, visiting your old man will be the last thing on your mind.”

               “I’ll visit,” Harry promised. “What house will I be in?”

               “I’m not sure. Your mother was in Gryffindor, as was your adoptive father.”

               “Daddy James?”

               “Yes, Daddy James. You could very well end up in Gryffindor just like them.”

               “What about you?”

               “I was in Slytherin.”

               “Can I be in Slytherin?”

               “You could be, but I feel like you are far from a Slytherin. If either of my kids end up in that house, it’ll be Miss Princess Iris. But it’s still early to say definitively what house you’ll end up in and certainly nothing to worry about right now.”

               “Okay,” Harry agreed. He closed the album and picked it up before sliding off his father’s lap.

               “I guess we’re done now,” Severus said with a chuckle as he watched Harry leave his study. “Good talk, son.”

               Harry hugged the photo album to his chest and was about to head back to his bedroom when the floo flared in the living room. He paused and watched the green fire fill the once empty fireplace, something that amazed him every time the floo activated. When the flames disappeared, Tori and her kids stood in the fireplace, and they stepped into the living room.

               “Right on time,” Severus said from behind Harry, startling his son. “As always.”

               “Good morning, Severus,” Tori said, setting Esther down on her feet. “Thank you so much for agreeing to watching them for me, I will owe you. Anything you want, I will make it happen.”

               “Please.” Severus waved her request off. “After all you do for me and my kids? I need nothing in return.”

               Tori gave Severus an appreciative smile.

               “I shouldn’t be long. I have my doctor’s appointment and then a session with my nutritionist, and if it’s not too late, I may run a quick errand before I come pick them up, but if anything happens—if you need me to pick them up sooner—”

               “We’ll be fine,” Severus said. “Go, you’ll be late.”

               “Right, right.” Tori looked down at her kids and moved her hands quickly. “You be good for Severus. That means you, Esther. You behave. Kisses goodbye, real quick.” Tori kissed Esther, then Ruth, then Joshua on the top of their heads before she hurried for the fireplace, flooing away.

               “Can I turn on your tv?” Joshua asked.

               “May I, and you may,” Severus answered.

               “Yes!” Joshua cheered, and he jumped on the sofa, finding the remote and turning on the tv quickly. He flipped through the channels before he found the one he was looking for. Ruth and Esther ran upstairs in search of Iris while Harry followed Joshua, eager to share what he had learned from his father and the photo album. Joshua was engaged in a football game and eagerly watching the players kick the ball around on the screen.

               “Hi, Joshua,” Harry greeted, pausing in front of the tv, much to Joshua’s dismay.

               “Hey,” Joshua responded distractedly as he angled himself to peer around Harry and watch the screen.

               “Daddy was showing me this book,” Harry said, opening the book up, concealing more of Joshua’s view to the tv, “and telling me about when him and mummy went to Hogwarts.”

               “Cool,” Joshua said, standing up and gently pushing Harry to the side a bit. “Come on, bud, move for just a minute, okay?”

               Joshua jumped back on the sofa and returned his attention to the game. Harry realized he was distracting Joshua as he looked between the other boy and the tv. He decided he’d wait until the game went to a commercial or something. He rarely watched the tv in the living room unless it was with Iris and Severus for a movie night. But remembering how the dinosaur show he used to watch at the Dursley’s always had commercials, he figured this show would too, so he jumped up on the sofa next to Joshua to wait it out.

               And the tv’s screen went black just as the football was kicked toward the goal.

               “No!” Joshua cried. “Harry!”

               “Sorry,” Harry apologized, fishing the remote out from under him and handing it over to Joshua. He held the photo album to his chest. “Are you mad at me?”

               “No,” Joshua said before letting out a sigh as he accepted the remote and turned the tv back on. The show was on commercial now, and Joshua groaned and set the remote down, pulling his feet up to sit crisscross on the furniture. He looked over at Harry. “What were you saying about Hogwarts?”

               Harry studied Joshua’s face for a moment, trying to judge whether Joshua really was mad at him or not before he opened the photo album to a page where a couple pictures of young Severus and Lily were. Joshua leaned over to look down at the pictures.

               “This is Daddy and Mummy,” Harry said, pointing at one of the pictures.

               “Yeah, that looks like Severus all right,” Joshua smiled, “scowl and all.”

               “He’s kind of smiling,” Harry said, holding the album closer to really look at child Severus’s face. “A little, I think.”

               Joshua laughed, then pointed at another picture.

               “There’s the Hogwart’s Express! We’ll ride that one day when we’re old enough to go to school there.”

               “That’s what Daddy said. He also said he was in Slytherin, and Mummy was in Gryffindor. And Daddy James. He was in Gryffindor, too. Daddy said I could go in Gryffindor like they did but he’s not really sure. What house will you go in?”

               “I don’t know.” Joshua shrugged, glancing back at the tv to see if the game was back on.

               “What house were your parents in?”

               “Only Mum went to Hogwarts. She was in Gryffindor. Dad went to Uagadou in Africa since he was born in South Africa. They don’t have houses, but dormitories. I think like nine different dormitories because they have a lot of students from all over. Then Dad moved his family’s business to the UK. Mum worked in a different practice then. I think they said they were rivals at first. They met working opposing arguments on the same case. It’s a funny story actually.”

               “Can you tell me?” Harry asked.

               “Oh, maybe another time, shh!” Joshua said as the game came back on and a replay was shown of the team scoring a goal, and Joshua cheered. Harry smiled at Joshua’s excitement. They sat in silence for a few minutes watching the game, and when more replays were shown, Joshua whipped his head toward Harry as if he suddenly remembered something.

               “I think you have someone coming to see you today,” Joshua said. “Do you know who it is?”

               “No.” Harry answered honestly. “Someone’s coming to see me?”

               “I thought that’s what Mum said. A friend of the family or something?”

               Harry felt his heart pick up at that. He still wasn’t a big fan of surprises, and he’d prefer to know ahead of time if he was going to be meeting new people or faces. Maybe his father knew about this person coming to see him. Harry hopped off the sofa, abandoning the album, and ran in search of his father, heading for the study. Severus had returned to grading essays behind his desk and Harry paused in front of the desk, watching his father work for a moment.

               “Did you need something, Harry?” Severus asked after a minute.

               “Is someone coming to see me today?”

               Severus’s eyes strayed up to meet his son’s.

               “Yes, though he had wanted to surprise you. Sirius Black is coming back to visit you here for a little bit. Remember him?”     

               “Uncle Sirius,” Harry affirmed with a nod of his head, relaxing slightly now that he knew he wasn’t meeting with a total stranger. Though he really didn’t know Sirius that well, it was clear Sirius had known him as a baby, and had known his late parents, so in Harry’s mind, Sirius was one more piece of his long-lost family.

               “Who told you someone was coming today?” Severus asked.

               “Joshua said his mum told him someone would visit.”

               “That child has a very loose tongue sometimes.”

               Esther came trotting into the room and around the desk, tapping Severus arm before making a sign against the palm of her hand.

               “I’m sorry, I don’t know that one,” Severus said, as he shook his head and held up both hands, allowing his index fingers to shoot up and over his shoulders, signing “I don’t understand,” a common sign he resorted to when trying to converse with Esther.

               Esther smiled then slowly spelled out “juice” for Severus.

               “Ah, juice,” Severus said, nodding his head.

               Esther repeated the sign of tracing a “j” over the palm of her hand with her index finger, and Severus copied her.

               “Juice,” he repeated, signing it one last time, then pointed at himself before holding an open hand near his head and bringing it closer to his forehead while simultaneously closing his hand into a fist. “I’ll remember that one. And lucky you, I have some of that in stock.”

               Severus stood and waved for Esther to follow him, and she ran ahead of him to the kitchen, jumping up and down eagerly for her juice while Severus poured her some orange juice in a plastic cup and handed it to her. Esther touched her lip and threw her hand out in a “thank you,” then sipped the juice immediately as she took the cup. Then, she turned and took off, careful not to spill anything as she passed Harry and left the kitchen.

               Severus snorted, then looked at Harry standing in the entryway.

               “Are you in need of any juice?” Severus asked.

               Harry shook his head.

               “Are you nervous about your visit with Sirius?”

               Harry shrugged.

               “There’s nothing to worry about. I’ll be here the whole time, but I think you’ll enjoy your . . . uncle’s presence. He can be quite enthusiastic about many things. His visit today is so you can get to know him a little better and maybe in the future you can visit him at his own place, or he can take you somewhere fun.”

               The doorbell to the house rang and Severus gritted his teeth to hold back any degrading remarks he had for Sirius Black. He forced a smile for Harry.

               “I think that’s him now.”

               Harry followed his father and stood close to him while Severus opened the door, revealing Sirius Black wearing typical wizard robe attire in a maroon color. Behind Sirius in the driveway was a motorcycle. A huge grin spread across Sirius’s face when he saw Harry.

               “Hello, Harry,” Sirius greeted.

               “Hi Uncle Sirius,” Harry greeted.

               “You’re on time,” Severus said in a bored tone. “What a surprise.”

               “Of course, I’m on time,” Sirius defended himself. “Anything for my little nephew.”

               “Please.” Severus rolled his eyes. “You aren’t even related.”

               “Family doesn’t have to be by blood,” Sirius argued. “James and I were practically brothers since we met and that makes Harry as much my nephew as he is your son. Besides, James would have wanted him to have some excitement and spoiling in his life. I’ve got several years to make up for.”

               “Well, don’t let me get in the way of that. Though take it easy on the “excitement” with Harry. He’s still managing his asthma.”

               Sirius blinked at that, and Severus narrowed his eyes.

               “You do know what asthma is, don’t you?” Severus asked.

               “Of course, I know what asthma is,” Sirius snapped. “It’s just so muggle, I didn’t think . . .”

               “Muggle or not,” Severus said when Sirius trailed off, “try not to do anything rash during your visit here or you’ll be tossed outside like the dog you are.”

               “Speaking of which, do you plan on actually inviting me inside?”

               Severus glared at Sirius for a moment before stepping aside. Sirius stepped in, looking around to see Joshua watching them from the sofa and a little girl sitting on the staircase drinking juice. When Severus shut the door behind him, he turned back toward the other man.

               “Who are all these children, more of your forgotten kids?” Sirius quipped.

               “No, but they are as much family if not more than what you seem to think yourself as,” Severus returned. Harry leaned against his leg, and reminding himself to take a deep breath, Severus ran a hand through Harry’s hair. “Harry, why don’t you show Sirius your room?”

               “Okay, Daddy,” Harry said, stepping away from his father and closer to Sirius. He offered a hand, and Sirius accepted it quickly, a genuine smile replacing his smirk.

               “Want to see my room?” Harry asked.

               “I would love to see your room,” Sirius said.

               Harry smiled back, then pulled Sirius up the stairs and away from his glaring father. He wasn’t sure what to make of what just transpired between Severus and Sirius. First, his father was encouraging him to get to know Sirius, and then when Sirius showed up, all Severus did was glare at his newfound uncle. And Sirius seemed to return the looks. But now Sirius was all real smiles and kind eyes.

               “This is my room,” Harry said proudly as he dragged Sirius into the bedroom. “Isn’t it amazing?”

               “Wow!” Sirius said, spinning around as if to take everything in. “It’s brilliant. You must be a big fan of dinosaurs, eh?”

               “I love them!”

               “I can tell.” Sirius slowly sat on the edge of Harry’s bed. “So, how do you like it here with your . . . father and sister? Do they treat you well?”

               “The best!” Harry said as he jumped up on the bed next to Sirius. He crawled across the bed and grabbed his stegosaurus, Spikes. “I love Daddy and Iris. This is Spikes. He’s a stegosaurus.”

               “Would you look at that?” Sirius commented, accepting the dinosaur and looking it over. Sirius smiled. “You know, your father used to have this really large stuffed lion that he brought to the dormitory at Hogwarts. We all claimed it was the Gryffindor House Mascot. We called him Sir Leolot the Brave. Even took him to a quidditch game once. We got so many laughs, but the poor thing didn’t survive the mud it got covered in.”

               “Daddy James?” Harry asked for clarification.

               “Daddy James,” Sirius agreed softly with a small smile. He set the stegosaurus down and angled himself toward Harry. “I’m sorry if I confused you when we first met. It wasn’t my intention. I was so upset when I found out your parents were gone that I lost my way for a while. I wanted revenge for my best mate and his wife. And for you. But hearing how you’ve been treated now—I should have stayed and been around for you. I’ve missed out on so many years of your life. I hope you can forgive me for that.”

               “I forgive you,” Harry said.

               “Are you sure?” Sirius asked.

               Harry nodded.

               “Thank you, Harry. That means a lot to me.”

               “Do you want to see Daddy’s room?”

               “Uhh, I feel like that’s snooping,” Sirius said, a chuckle escaping his lips. “We probably should leave your dad’s room alone.”

               “It’s only snooping if you get caught,” Harry said. “That’s what Iris said.”

               Sirius smirked.

               “Then let’s not get caught.”

               After a tour of Harry’s room, a quick one of Severus’s room, then Iris’s, where Iris and Ruth quickly took over showing Sirius around the pink room and introducing him to every single one of Iris’s stuffed animals and dolls, Harry led the way downstairs to show off the living room again and then the kitchen, where they ran into Esther, who introduced herself in sign to Sirius, smiling sweetly up at the man.

               “Oh,” Sirius said with a frown, “you’re one of those . . . hand talkers.”

               “She’s deaf,” Harry said, signing “deaf” for Sirius. “She said “my name is Esther.””

               “Ah, right, that’s the word.”  Sirius nodded in understanding, then slowly and loudly said, “It is nice to meet you, Esther.”

               “She still can’t hear you,” Harry muttered.

               Esther’s smile turned into a malicious grin as she knocked on her head twice. Then she began signing the same short phrase over and over again.

               “You know, I think there’s spells to fix that,” Sirius commented. 

               “There’s not, actually,” Joshua said as he came into the kitchen. He noticed what Esther was signing and lightly smacked the back of his hand against Esther’s arm before signing to her as he said, “Knock that off.”

               Esther blew a raspberry at her brother before running off.

               “What was she saying?” Sirius asked.

               “Nothing,” Joshua said with an innocent smile before glaring and saying, “and there’s nothing to fix. She’s fine.”

               “But I just mean if she could have the chance to hear—”

               “Mum and Dad have gone through this. There’s nothing they can do unless they want to explore muggle medicine and stick something in her head. She’s fine the way she is.”

               “Okay, okay.” Sirius held up his hands defensively. “My apologies. What do you say we go outside and enjoy some fresh air, eh, Harry?”

               “Should I tell Daddy?” Harry asked.

               “Nah, we’ll be right outside and I’m with you. He shouldn’t spazz out.” Sirius didn’t sound entirely confident in his last statement, but he was already leading the way toward the front door. Harry hesitated, then followed Sirius. Joshua rolled his eyes and followed them, grabbing Harry’s coat off the rack and handing it to Harry before he ran out after Sirius without it. Joshua pulled a silver cloak off the rack and wrapped it around himself and followed Harry outside.

               Sirius walked up to his motorcycle and pulled something out of the side seat. Harry frowned at it.

               “You know, Harry,” Sirius began, “one of Daddy James favorite things was flying. And not just for Quidditch, but for the thrill of it.”

               Sirius turned so Harry could see what he had pulled out of his bike. Harry frowned and tilted his head while Joshua made a concerned face.

               “It’s a . . . broom?” Harry asked.

               “A flying broom,” Sirius said. “I was hoping we could get the chance to fly around the house a few times before I take off for the day. End things on a high note if you know what I mean.”

               “I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Joshua said.

               “Yeah, I don’t know,” Harry said slowly.

               “I won’t force you if you don’t want to,” Sirius said. He mounted the broom and kicked off the ground. Harry gasped as the broom shot forward and did a small loop in the air before hovering in front of him. Sirius smiled, “Just let me know if you change your mind.”

               “Brilliant!” Harry said, stepping closer. “It’s flying! Can I try?”

               “Well, you’re too small to handle this broom alone, but you can fly with me.” Sirius lifted Harry onto the broom, showing him how to correctly grip the broom, then he slowly leaned into the air and the broom began to ascend at a steady pace. Harry giggled as they rose higher and higher, looking down at how small Joshua was becoming.

               With careful movements and precision, Sirius kept the broom at a slow speed but fast enough for Harry to feel the wind in his hair, earning squeals of excitement as Sirius dipped down and made small circles in the air. Harry never felt freer and more weightless, like he was on top of the world, and anything was possible. He looked down again to see Joshua watching them from down below, and he waved. After a second, Joshua waved back.

               Harry laughed at the tiny movement, then his grin grew as Sirius dipped down again, sending a funny feeling up his stomach and into his chest. He loved it, and laughed when Sirius dipped again, then the broom circled the roof of the house.

               A familiar feeling tickled Harry’s throat, and he tried to swallow the feeling away, his laughter dying suddenly. He swallowed dryly a few times, then coughed a bit as the dryness choked him a little.

               “Okay, there, Harry?” Sirius asked.

               “I can’t breathe,” Harry said as he felt his throat tighten more.

               “The air gets a little thinner the higher you go,” Sirius explained, “it just takes a minute to get used to. Nice, deep breaths.” 

               Harry tried to take deeper breaths, but he wheezed slightly. It was like trying to suck air through a straw, and the air that managed to get through burned. He was starting to feel a little lightheaded. He clutched at his throat with hand and gripped the broom tightly with his other to keep his balance.

               “Uncle Sirius,” Harry wheezed out, “I can’t breathe. Go down.”

               “Okay, we’re going down,” Sirius said, and he descended as fast as he dared. Landing lightly, he had to catch Harry as the child nearly collapsed to the ground as he kept sucking in air. Sirius dropped the broom and helped Harry lay down on the ground. 

               “What happened?” Joshua yelled as he ran forward.

               “I don’t know.” Sirius shook his head as he reached for his wand. “He said he couldn’t breathe and then . . .” Sirius trailed off as he couldn’t find the right words to either describe the scary episode happening right now or the words for a spell that may help.

               “Harry, where’s your inhaler?” Joshua asked as he felt Harry’s pant pockets. “You’re supposed to have it!”

               Joshua felt Harry’s coat pockets then unzipped one and reached inside, pulling out the rescue inhaler Harry must have left in his coat pocket one day, and Joshua held the device to Harry’s mouth, making sure Harry was aware of what was coming, then he helped Harry administer one puff, then another after a few seconds. Harry laid in the grass for nearly fifteen minutes before his breathing was back to normal again, and even then, he panted.

               “Harry, I am so sorry,” Sirius said, running a shaky hand through Harry’s hair. “I had no idea this would happen. Are you okay?”

               Harry’s eyes watered, and then the young child shot up and ran for the house.

               “Harry!” Sirius called after him, but Harry threw the door open and ran inside.

               Joshua had jumped up and was right behind him.

               Sirius slowly stood to his feet then followed after the boys, sure he knew where Harry was running to, and he prayed to whatever great wizard or god there was out there to have mercy on his soul. He heard Harry sobbing, and he followed the sound to Severus’s study where he found Severus holding and rocking Harry who was crying into his shoulder. Joshua was standing next to them chatting a hundred words a minute. Severus’s eyes fell on Sirius as the man entered his study.

               “What happened to take it easy on the excitement?” Severus growled through his teeth.

               “I didn’t think that would happen,” Sirius said honestly.

               “You didn’t think he’d have an asthma attack?”

               “Is that what that is?” Sirius asked to himself, but unfortunately aloud.

               Severus’s eyes flashed.

               “So you don’t know what asthma is? Why didn’t you ask me?”

               “I . . .” Sirius bit back a snide remark and clenched his fists at his side, taking in a deep breath and calmly saying, “I’m asking now. Please, tell me about this.”

               Severus glared at him silently for a few long moments before he stood up with Harry and moved out of his study, shouldering past Sirius. He paused long enough to say, “If you’re really serious about that, sit out in the living room. I’ll be right back.”

               Severus headed up the stairs toward Harry’s room, Joshua right at his heels.

               Feeling like a scolded teenager about to be handed his punishment, Sirius did what Severus said without a word, finding a spot on the sofa and then putting his head in his hands. How could he have been so foolish to allow this to happen to Harry? He should have just swallowed his pride and asked about the asthma thing when Severus had first mentioned it. He could have avoided this whole accident. He felt like the worst human being on the planet right now and Harry probably would never want to see him again.

               “He doesn’t blame you for this, you know,” Severus said as he reentered the living room. “The attack just scared him.”

               “He ran away from me,” Sirius said.

               “No, he ran to me,” Severus said, leaning against the tv and its stand. “There’s a difference.”

               Severus summoned a pamphlet he had received when Harry had been first diagnosed with Healer Villin, and he gave the pamphlet to Sirius, who accepted it and opened it up curiously.

               “That helped me understand the disease a bit better,” Severus said. He went into the finer details of asthma he had picked up from his conversations with Healer Villin, then explained how it affected Harry specifically. Sirius soaked in the information, kicking himself for not doing this before he pulled the damn broom out. If he had known, he could have had Harry taken a dose of his inhaler before they went flying to help prevent the episode from happening in the first place. It all could have been avoided if he had just been man enough to ask Severus for an explanation of what asthma was.

               “You’re lucky Joshua knew what to do,” Severus said. “This could have gone much worse if Joshua hadn’t followed you two outside.”

               “I know,” Sirius said in a low voice. “I know. I’m sorry.”  

               At the apology, Severus’s brows shot up. He expected three million excuses as to why this was not Sirius’s fault. An apology from Sirius Black was the last thing he thought he’d ever hear from the man’s mouth.

               “Now that you know,” Severus said, “this better not happen again.”

               “It won’t. I’ll make sure of it.” Sirius seemed to bite his tongue for a moment before he said, “Thank you.”

               Severus merely inclined his head at that.

               “May I say goodbye to Harry?” Sirius asked.

               Now Sirius was asking to say goodbye instead of just going upstairs to do it? Perhaps the man learned from this experience after all. Severus knew deep inside he was thinking unfairly of Sirius Black, but they still had a troubled past that neither seemed comfortable dealing with in the present, so it was easier to believe the worst of the other. Severus nodded his head, and Sirius headed upstairs.

               Harry was lying in his bed under the covers with Joshua lying on top of the covers next to him reading a book. Harry looked like he was half asleep, but his eyes opened more when Sirius entered the room.

               “Feeling better, Harry?” Sirius asked.

               Harry nodded.

               “I really am sorry for what happened,” Sirius said. “I promise that I will not allow something like that to happen again, okay?”

               “It’s okay,” Harry said, though he seemed unsure if he should say anything else.

               Sirius sat on the edge of Harry’s bed and ran a hand through Harry’s hair.

               “This wasn’t exactly how I wanted to end our visit but I’m glad you are safe, Harry.” Sirius hesitated, the said, “You have a good father.”

               Harry smiled, then sat up and hugged Sirius.

               “And a good uncle,” Harry said.

               Sirius snorted and patted Harry’s back.

               “Thank you.” Sirius helped Harry get back under the covers. “You get some rest. I’ll see you again real soon.”

               “Bye, Uncle Sirius,” Harry said.

               Sirius smiled and waved at Harry as he stepped out of the room. He paused outside the bedroom and listened.

               “Okay, where were we?” Joshua asked.

               “The mean troll was about to eat the second goat,” Harry reminded.

               “Oh, right, so the mean troll jumped out from under the bridge . . .”

               With an amused shake of his head, Sirius headed down the stairs. He didn’t see Severus anymore, and not wanting any more awkwardness between them, he quietly left the house and climbed on his motorcycle. He learned a lot from his visit, but the most important thing he learned was that Harry was in very safe hands with a family that adored him.

 

Esther signs “idiot” at Sirius with the two knocks on the head, then her repetitive signing is whatever childish insult you want to imagine. I had a few in mind but I’ll let your imaginations run wild.

                             

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Sirius made a great example of unintentional ignorance, a common problem the Deaf community (as well as many other communities) face. Esther signs "idiot" at Sirius in the story. Regardless of his lack of understanding, she's still a brat.
Chasing Rats by krosi

The motorbike roared down the street as it nearly flew off the road toward a dark and silent house, half of the roof blown to bits. Sirius Black forced the bike to a sudden halt, causing it to swerve slightly before it fully stopped. He jumped off the bike and ran toward the house, tears already blurring his vision as he dropped to his knees next to the body of his best friend in the entryway.

               “James!” Sirius cried, cradling his friend’s head. “No, no, James!”

               Sirius mourned for several minutes over James’ body before he dared to glance into the house. He stood, withdrew his wand, and cautiously moved deeper inside, glancing around for any Death Eaters or worse, Voldemort himself. Sirius cleared the downstairs before taking careful steps up the creaky stairs. He found Lily’s lifeless body in one of the bedrooms and he moved inside, tears welling in his eyes again.

               “I’m so sorry, Lily,” Sirius said softly.

               The crib in the bedroom was empty, and Sirius feared the worse. Had Voldemort taken Harry? Was his godson dead and now some kind of trophy among the sick, demented Death Eaters? Where was the Dark Wizard anyway?

               There was one way to find out some of this information.

               A burn inside his chest lit, and his fists clenched at his side as a rage blazed behind his eyes. He was going to kill that rat.

               Sirius ran out of the house just as muggles were starting to approach the building, staring in bewilderment and awe. Sirius climbed on his bike and sped away, weaving past the muggles before pushing the bike to go faster down the road. He muttered a locator spell that would track Peter Pettigrew. Once he was away from Godric’s Hollow and out of muggle sight, he activated the bike’s flight mode and took to the sky, moving faster through the air. His wand jerked in the directions he needed to go, and Sirius kept an eye on the ground in search of his so-called friend, using a binocular charm he had recently learned. He still could not believe that Peter had betrayed them all. That lying, no good, son-of-a—

               There he was!

               Peter Pettigrew was walking swiftly down a muggle city street, trying to blend in with the crowd, no doubt planning his disappearance to avoid capture.

               Uncaring of the many muggles around, Sirius dropped the bike to the ground below, startling many muggles who ran out of the way, avoiding the bike as it landed heavily on the wheels, which thankfully did not pop from the impact. Regardless, Sirius jumped off the bike and aimed his wand at Peter’s back.

               “Peter!” he shouted. “How could you? They were our friends!”

               Several muggles moved aside to create a path between Sirius and Peter. Peter stopped, then slowly turned to face Sirius, his face white and his eyes flickering in every direction.

               “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Peter said. “You were the secret keeper, Sirius.”

               “That’s rubbish, you prick, and you know it. Where’s Harry? Where’s his body? At least tell me that.”

               “I can’t,” Peter said as he slowly withdrew his wand from his sleeve.

               Sirius took a bold step forward, jerking his wand at Peter in warning.

               “Stop! Don’t even think about trying anything! You killed my best friend . . . and his wife . . . and their little baby! You deserve to die where you stand and I promise you, I won’t make it swift.”

               There was a noise behind Sirius that sounded a lot like apparition, and a quick glance with his eyes told him a few aurors had arrived on the scene. Ignoring them, Sirius focused his wand on Peter, not caring if this action landed him in prison. He had nothing left to live for anyway. Peter deserved death for his betrayal.

               Before Sirius could utter a serious of curses, Peter whipped his wand out and pointed it down, keeping it close to his side.

               “Help!” Peter shouted. “Sirius Black betrayed the Potters and he’s come for me!”

               Then a blast knocked Sirius off his feet, sending him flying through the air several yards back, knocking the breath out of him and causing a ringing in his ears. Sirius groaned as he rolled onto his back, blinking his eyes to peer through the dust, just in time to see a rat scurry away into some bushes. The ringing kept going and Sirius tried to shake the feeling away, but he couldn’t help the maniacal chuckles that scaped his lips. Peter thought he was so clever. He had no clue what was coming for him. Just wait, Peter, Sirius thought, I will find you.

               The ringing faded away, and Sirius managed to push himself up to his feet, and it was then that he saw what damage Peter had caused.

               There was a massive crater in the ground where Peter had directed the blast. And worse, a dozen muggles lay dead between him and where Peter had been standing. Many were still bleeding where they lay, others crushed on impact from the blow, and still, a few with missing limbs. Sirius gasped at the sight before he was knocked to the ground from behind and pinned down.

                “Sirius Black you’re under arrest for several crimes tonight,” Barty Crouch, Sr. growled in Sirius’s ear as he placed magic restraining cuffs on Sirius.

               “I didn’t do anything!” Sirius argued as he was hoisted to his feet.

               “You’ll have plenty of time to tell it to a judge.” Barty Crouch, Sr. said.

              

               Sirius tapped his fingers on the table he was cuffed to in the interrogation room. After what felt like hours of arguing his case against Crouch, the auror had stormed out of the room exasperated, and Sirius had been left alone for several minutes. Precious time he could be using to hunt Peter before he could disappear for good.

               “Hey!” Sirius called out. “Is there a way we could wrap this up? You’ve got the wrong man and the real traitor is out there running loose still.”

               No one responded.

               Sirius huffed, tugging his hands against the cuffs holding him to the table.  

               “I will take Veritaserum if I have to; let’s wrap this up.”

               Another long minute passed, then the door opened, and a slender woman of average height stepped into the room. She wore a maroon robe and a black trenchcoat, the typical uniform of the Auror Detective Unit. Her deep brown eyes matched her dark brown hair which was pulled up in a messy bun on top of her head. Her black knee-high boots clicked as she walked across the room to the seat on the other side of the table. She leaned back in the chair and studied Sirius.

               After a moment, Sirius moved his hands in an impatient gesture.

               “Yes?” he asked.

               “Albus Dumbledore was so sure that you were the Potters’ secret keeper,” the woman said. “Do you mean to tell me that you were not? I mean, it seems like you were the obvious choice . . .”

               “Exactly,” Sirius said, cutting her off. “Too obvious. So James and I agreed that we would switch to Peter. Everyone knew James and I were like brothers, but Peter? He was more of a at school sidekick, you know?”

               “I see. So you’re trying to tell everyone here that Peter was a last minute secret keeper, gave the Potters’ location up to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, and then faked his own death, leaving behind nothing but a finger?”

               “It’s not that crazy when you think about it.”

               “Peter Pettigrew was never an exemplary student. He had average grades, kept to a small group of friends, had no remarkable magical feats, and showed no interest in the Dark Arts. You expect us to accept your version of events?”

               Sirius sighed.

               “Look, Auror,” Sirius started to say.

               “Detective Svoboda,” the detective corrected.

               “Right, Detective,” Sirius said. “If it were me, if I had just remained James’ and Lily’s secret keeper, Voldemort would have had to kill me because there was no way in bloody hell I would give my friends up like that. And you can torture me, interrogate me, or drug me with veritaserum, but I am telling you the honest truth here. Peter Pettigrew is an unregistered animagus, just like me. James was one, too. He cast the blast charm and chopped off one of his fingers to set me up and he ran off in his rat form. He betrayed the Potters. And I have to find him and make him pay for what he’s done.”

               “You know I can’t allow you to do that,” Detective Svoboda said with a shake of her head. “What is your animagus?”

               “Why does that matter?”

               “If you and Peter were truly unregistered animagi, then I’d like to know what you were. Prove to me that you are telling the truth.”

               “I could show you,” Sirius said, tugging against the hand cuffs pointedly. “Might be more proof worthy than my word.”

               Detective Svoboda’s brows shot up, but she considered his words for a minute before raising a hand and motioning someone to come inside. Two aurors stepped into the room, wands pointed at Sirius. One of the aurors uncuffed his hands, freeing them from the table at last. Sirius gave his wrists a rub.

               “Do not try anything,” Detective Svoboda said. “Shift, then shift back.”

               Sirius nodded, then dropped down into his big black dog form, Padfoot. He barked twice and wagged his tail, before spotting the motion of his tail, which he growled at before giving it a chase. Detective Svoboda bit back a laugh, which did not go unnoticed by Padfoot, who grinned as he panted. This ought to put him in good books with the department, or at least the Detective.

               “Thank you, Mr. Black, that’ll do,” she said.

               Padfoot shifted back into Sirius, and he was quickly escorted back to his seat, but before the auror could cuff him, he asked, “Are these really necessary?”

               Detective Svoboda held up a hand at the officer, stopping him from putting the cuffs back on. She waved him back and the aurors stepped out of the room.

               “I’m inclined to believe you, Mr. Black. Veritaserum will not be necessary. Minerva McGonagall had a suspicion that you and your friends were animagi, so now that you have confirmed those, we will set an alert to all the Aurors to be on the look out for a suspicious rat.”

               “You think you can tract Peter?”

               “It will be hard. Animagi are difficult to track whether they are registered or not. And with Peter’s being a rat, this is no small task we have before us.”

               “But I’m free to go?” Sirius asked, tapping his fingers on the table.

               “Yes. However, we ask that you keep a low profile while we search for Peter. Not everyone is convinced that your story is the truth.” Detective Svoboda’s eyes hardened. “We also ask that you do not interfere with our investigation. You leave tracking Peter Pettigrew to the detectives.”

               “Of course. Before you go, did you find Harry?”

               “The baby? He’s alive. Albus Dumbledore currently has him.”

               Sirius breathed a sigh of relief. Harry was alive and safe. He would probably end up going to Severus Snape and his girlfriend, where Harry would at least have a chance at a normal life with parents and a sibling. Not that Sirius was fond of Dahlia in any way, but still, Harry would be all right. And he would visit. Soon.

               “Very well.” Detective Svoboda rose from her seat. She reached into her robe and pulled out a tiny roll of parchment. She returned the parchment to its normal size. “You may leave once you finish registering your animagus form.”

               “Are you serious?”

               “Yes. Being an unregistered animagus is illegal.”

               “Fine. This better not take long.”

               “It’s only one page.” Detective Svoboda pulled the red string free, and the parchment unraveled, rolling over the table and down to the floor, where it continued to roll until it was slightly past Sirius’s chair. “But I’d get started sooner rather than later.”

               Sirius grumbled under his breath as he took the parchment and a quill Svoboda summoned for him.

 

A Year Later:

 

               Sirius studied the wall of photos and leads he had collected through the year. Sightings, tips, suspicious acting rats—all dead ends. The latest tip was of a potential sighting in Diagon Alley, but Sirius had sniffed out the entirety of the alley three times. No sign of Peter.

               Sirius growled under his breath as he walked out of the back room of his house. He had inherited the home after his parents had passed, and had many plans of relocating and finding a new home that wasn’t marked by blood and dark arts. For now, however, he was on a mission, and the house would have to do.

               Sirius made his way to the kitchen, where he poured himself a cup of tea from the whistling pot. He sat down at the head of the table and sipped the tea, fiddling with a magical communication device he had stolen from the Auror Department when they had detained him as a suspect for the murder of Peter and several other muggles. It kept him in the loop of several cases, but his focus was on anything related to Peter. He also used his own knowledge of Peter from all the years they had shared a dorm in Hogwarts, and all the time they had hung out together. Some tips were ludicrous, stating ridiculous things he knew Peter would never do, such as infiltrate a muggle organization. That would draw too much attention toward him. No, Peter’s first move would be to find somewhere he could hide away for a while.

               The magical communication device remained silent, so Sirius turned his attention to the Daily Prophet, checking out the five day forecast predicted by the latest meteorologist seer. A side story with a picture caught his attention.

               “Ministry Employee Promoted to Office of Misuse of Muggle Artefacts.”

               The article talked about the large family—seven kids!—and how Mr. Weasley’s interest and growing knowledge in muggle technology proved to be of use in a recent incident with a jinxed television set hypnotizing muggles in a department store to act like ducks. Sirius snorted at the image that brought to his brain before looking at the family picture. Arthur Weasley was holding a small boy, perhaps three years of age. Arthur stood next to his wife, who was holding a baby girl, and the rest of their children stood in front of the parents, smiling and waving at the camera.

               Sirius’s eyes widened and he nearly choked on his tea. On the shoulder of one of the small boys was Peter Pettigrew! He’d recognize that rat anywhere. And he was pretending to be a pet? How sick. Just wait until he got to that house.

               Sirius jumped to his feet and ran to the library on the second floor. In a family focused on purity, every pureblood family and their information existed somewhere in the house. While the Weasleys were considered blood traitors by most purebloods now, there was a time they had not been such, and he was sure their details were listed somewhere.

               It took nearly an hour of digging before he came across the name “Weasley” in an old tome that updated itself regularly. He flipped through the pages and found the Weasley family tree, and at the very bottom, three locations of where the Weasleys’ had taken up residence. The last house was still listed as active, and Sirius wrote down the address on a scrap of parchment before running out of the library. He used his wand to lock up the house as he moved to the attached garage where his motorbike waited.

               Jumping on the bike, Sirius started it up before driving out of the garage. Once outside, he activated its flight and took to the sky.

               He landed a mile or so away from the Weasleys so as not to alarm Peter of his presence. Perhaps there was a better way to go about this, but if he attempted to explain the situation to the parents first, he was sure Peter would take that time to disappear. No, he had to get to Peter first and foremost before the rat could even think of running away.

               Hiding the bike and shifting into Padfoot, the dog ran the rest of the way to the Burrow, slowing down as the building came into view. He spotted two older boys de-gnoming the garden while two smaller boys ran around the gardens in some sort of tag game. Padfoot looked for a rat but did not see one among the boys. He scanned the yard, moving through bushes.

               Another young boy, older than the two little ones running around but younger than the two de-gnoming, was sitting alone at an outdoor table, his head in his arms and one hand stroking the fur of a scruffy, brown rat.

               Wormtail.

               Padfoot snarled, his fur bristling.

               Finally, he had found Peter and he would have his vengeance.

               Sprinting quickly, Padfoot ran into the garden, startling all the boys who stopped what they were doing. He could hear the startled squeal of Wormtail, who tried to jump off the table, only to be caught by the small child.

               “Percy, look out!” One of the boys cried.

               The child jumped up from his seat, prepared to run, but he tripped and fell backward as Padfoot closed in on him. The child screamed, as did Wormtail, and Padfoot pinned the child down and lashed out for Wormtail, trying not to bite the child, but the boy moved his hands around to keep the rat out of his jaws.

               Frustrated, Padfoot growl-barked at the child, hoping to frighten him enough into releasing Wormtail. Instead, the kid screamed again.

               “Get off him!” one of the older boys shouted, throwing a rock at Padfoot.

               “Get out of here!” the other older kid joined in, throwing rocks as well. “Scram!”

               The two smaller boys also began picking up rocks and throwing them.

               Padfoot winced as the stones struck him, and he backed off the boy a little, keeping an eye on Wormtail.

               “Ow!” the boy cried as Wormtail finally escaped and ran off. “Scabbers bit me!”

               Padfoot leaped over the child and chased Wormtail across the garden. The rat climbed up one of the older boys before Padfoot could grab him, and Padfoot barked in frustration around the child, who danced around as he tried to grab the rat crawling up his robe.

               Wormtail crawled through the boy’s sleeve and leaped off his hand with a wand in his mouth.

               “Hey, Scabbers has my wand!” the boy cried.  

               Padfoot and all five boys chased after Wormtail, the rat picking up speed and leaving the boys behind, but Padfoot kept at the rat’s heels. He lunged forward, ready to grab Wormtail at last and thrash him till he grew limp, but Wormtail dived into a burrow under a tree.

               Padfoot snarled and barked as he dug at the hole in the ground. He knew that burrows could go on for meters, and Wormtail could be anywhere underground right now. He also knew that Wormtail had no intention of coming back, seeing as he took a wand with him. He had lost the rat once more.

               Padfoot grumbled angrily as he turned away, looking back at the house to see the parents comforting the children as they explained what happened and pointed at him in the distance. Padfoot huffed and took off for the trees, running up a hill. He paused at the top and looked back at the house, now able to see the front.

               Detective Svoboda and an auror were knocking at the door, drawing the parents’ attention back into the house. They’re too late, Padfoot thought as he snarled down at the aurors, he’s long gone.

               With that, Padfoot took off through the trees, running back for his bike.

 

Two years Later:

 

               Sirius lived on the road for a couple years as he pursued every lead and tip he heard on the magical communication device as well as trying to figure out what Peter’s next move might be. He traveled on his bike through towns and cities, muggle and magical alike, resting in motels or sleeping under the stars as Padfoot on a good night. He found himself in Ukraine hot on Peter’s trail, having seen a glimpse of Peter shopping in a muggle city. And then he lost him. The more dead ends he came to, the angrier he felt himself become. Peter was out there running free and unpunished for the crimes he committed. His friends were dead because of this man. Harry lost his family because of this man. He would avenge his friends’ death and bring justice for Harry is it was the last thing he ever did.

               His latest tip led him to an underground tunnel system used by magical folk for dark arts and smuggling between countries. He parked his bike in the trees so it would remain out of sight while he investigated the situation.

               He followed a few suspicious men down into an underground subway, then watched them walk into a wall, disappearing behind it.

               Sirius waited a few minutes, then proceeded to walk into the same wall, glad that the wards did not keep him out. Clearly, the location was more the secret or the wards would have had more privacy protections on them. Sirius pulled up the hood of his dark gray cloak and walked down an alley filled with small shops while magical trains zoomed by, some stopping to pick up passengers now and then.

               Sirius looked around for Peter, ignoring the illegal dark artefacts or the caged magical beasts squalling as bidders shouted a price. A few people tried to lure him into their shop, offering enchanted lockets or dark, bubbly potions. Sirius didn’t say a word to anyone as he pushed his way forward. He had overheard a couple men explain how they had traded potions for a wand from a Pettigrew down in these tunnels. Peter was here somewhere.

               Sirius spotted a familiar red cloak several feet ahead.

               Peter Pettigrew was looking at one of the shops selling potions and herbs. Sirius frowned as he hastened his pace through the crowd, his wand tucked in his sleeve and ready.

               Peter was chatting with the shop keeper, a twitchy smile on his face as he looked over a bottle of a green glowing substance before his eyes glanced in Sirius’s direction. Peter’s smile fell as he quickly set the bottle down and turned, walking deeper into the tunnel system.

               Sirius kept following, and when Peter moved faster, so did he. They were leaving the more crowded sections and heading for darker tunnels that led to secret passages into different countries. Peter was nearly running now, straight for the tunnel leading to Russia, and Sirius ran after him.

               “Peter!” Sirius shouted, his wand pointing at the man’s back. “Face me, you coward! Or I’ll unleash my worst.”

               Realizing Sirius had his wand trained on him, Peter slowed to a halt and turned. Sirius could see his hand twitching to reach for something, most likely a wand of his own.

               “Don’t even think about it!” Sirius threatened. “You will pay for what you did!”

               “No one move!” another voice shouted.

               Detective Svoboda and five aurors all ran up to the two, creating a half circle around the men, wands pointing at both men.  

               “Both of you,” Detective Svoboda demanded, “drop your wands. You’re under arrest.”

               Sirius didn’t lower his wand.

               “Mr. Black. Lower your wand or I will stun you.”

               Sirius fought an exasperated growl, but he slowly lowered his wand. Maybe Peter would try a foolish move and get himself killed by the aurors.

               Suddenly, Peter threw an object down a tunnel, and it exploded, knocking everyone off their feet. Peter shifted into his rat form and ran down the collapsing tunnel, evading the crumbling walls and falling ceiling. Sirius jumped to his feet and ran for the tunnel, jumping back as a large chunk of rock nearly crushed him.

               “Sirius!” Detective Svoboda shouted.

               Sirius glanced back to see the detective shaking her head at him. Sirius gave her an apologetic look before he shifted into Padfoot, catching his wand in his jaws, and then he ran into the collapsing tunnel.

               He zigzagged through to avoid falling structures and rocks, dust kicking up everywhere and nearly blinding him as he followed the dark pathway. He yelped as stones collided into one of his paws, and he stumbled before catching himself and making one final leap out of the tunnel, tumbling into a snow-covered forest. He rolled over and looked back while panting heavily.

               The tunnel was demolished.

               Padfoot sighed and adjusted the wand in his jaws as he turned toward the white surroundings. Small rat footprints in the snow pointed him deeper into the trees, and he followed them, leaving his own pawprints behind him.

 

Three Months Prior to Story Events:

 

               Peter strolled through the town, glancing over his shoulder every now and then to make sure he wasn’t being followed. As he reached for the door to his temporary apartment, he heard a snarl and turned in time for Padfoot to leap on his chest, knocking the man to the ground. He raised his hands over his head to protect them from Padfoot’s teeth as the dog barked aggressively at him.

               Padfoot spotted the wand in Peter’s hand and he leaned forward and snatched it.

               Jumping off Peter, Padfoot crushed the wand in his jaws watching with satisfaction as the pieces fell to the sidewalk, small sparks flying as energy released from the wand. Padfoot shifted back into Sirius before he held up his hand, summoning his wand from where he had dropped it. He aimed it at Peter.

               “Please, Sirius,” Peter pleaded, rising up to his knees and folding his hands together. “Have mercy. I had no choice—he was going to kill me!”

               “I would have died for them!” Sirius shouted at Peter. “You should have been willing to do the same. But you betrayed them. After all James and I ever did for you, helped you through classes you were struggling with, bailed you out of detentions, stuck up for you when a prank went awry, we were all good friends! When did you change? How could you sell James and Lily to Voldemort!”

               “I didn’t mean to,” Peter cried. “You have no idea the weapons he possesses. You can’t mean to tell me that you wouldn’t have cracked even a little bit?”

               “Never!” Sirius exclaimed as he slashed his wand down.

               A cutting hex caught Peter’s cheek, leaving behind a large scratch that trickled blood in streaks like tears down his face.

               “You should have realized that if Voldemort hadn’t killed you, I would have.” Sirius stepped closer, touching his wand to Peter’s chin, tilting the man’s head up. Peter closed his eyes.

               “Sirius Black!” Detective Svoboda shouted as she ran up to Sirius, pausing a few feet away with her wand on him. “Lower your wand this instant!”

               Sirius didn’t budge, even as several other aurors appeared, some running up to stand next to Detective Svoboda, and some apparating into sight. They surrounded Sirius and Peter once more in a half circle.

               “Sirius,” Detective Svoboda started, “please. Lower your wand.”

               “He deserves to die,” Sirius growled through his teeth.

               “Maybe. But you don’t. I can’t let you kill him.”

               “Then you’ll have to kill me. I have nothing left to live for anyway.”

               “James and Lily wouldn’t want this for you. James Potter wouldn’t want you to throw your life away trying to avenge him. He’d want you to be there for his son, Harry. Think about Harry.”

               “Harry doesn’t need me,” Sirius forced out, even as he felt a clench in his chest. He had practically walked out of Harry’s life in pursuit of vengeance. Harry wouldn’t want anything to do with him now. He was sure of it.

               “Not true. Haven’t you heard the news?”

               Sirius had abandoned his bike and the magical communication device the aurors used back in Ukraine before the tunnel collapse, and as he had been on the move, he had not had a chance to look at the Daily Prophet recently, or even a muggle paper. Detective Svoboda continued.

“After James and Lily died, Harry was placed in the care of his muggle relatives. They abused him, Sirius. They hurt him in many ways and he needs all the support he can get. He’s with his father now, but he needs you, too. He needs you to help him heal.”

Tears welled in Sirius’s eyes at the news, and suddenly a huge weight lifted off his shoulders. The need to kill evaporated from him as he dropped to his knees himself. The aurors rushed in and cuffed Peter Pettigrew.

“I failed you again, James,” Sirius cried softly, even as an auror cuffed him. “I’m so sorry.”

“You haven’t failed him,” Detective Svoboda said. “There is still plenty of time to make things right. Starting with letting go of all your rage.”

Sirius said nothing and kept his head down as he was hoisted off the ground and marched away.

Later that evening, he found himself in the same interrogation room he had been in all those years ago, once again, cuffed to the table. He tapped his fingers on the table impatiently as he waited for someone to come tell him what was going on or why he was still there. Harry needed him. He should be on his way to save Harry, not stuck in the Auror department building.

Detective Svoboda walked into the room and she offered a small smile as she flicked her wand at the cuffs, freeing Sirius.

“We’re not interested in pressing charges,” she said. “We have captured Peter Pettigrew, which should stop your vigilante behaviors. If you promise to keep out of trouble, we’ll put this whole thing behind us.”

“How did you find us?” Sirius asked.

“Put a tracker spell on you,” Detective Svoboda said. “When you ran into the collapsing tunnel. Speaking of tracking, your tracking skills are pretty impressive.”

“Guess it comes naturally,” Sirius said with a shrug of his shoulders.

“Have you ever considered a field in detective work?”

“You think I have what it takes to be a detective?”

“No,” Detective Svoboda answered with a laugh, deflating Sirius’s peaked interest. “You’re impulsive, impatient, reckless; you disregarded ever order we gave you, and that anger needs some management.”

               Sirius rolled his eyes.

               “But,” Detective Svoboda added, “you have a good heart, and you’re loyal to those you truly cared about. With the right training, I think you could be a great detective.”

               “Thank you,” Sirius said. “I never really thought about it before.”

               “Consider it.” Detective Svoboda reached into her robe and pulled out a handheld mirror. She offered it to Sirius. “And if you’re interested, give me a call. Just ask to see Detective Radka Svoboda, and it’ll ring up the other mirror.”

               “Ah, is this how women are handing out their numbers these days?”

               “Very funny, Mr. Black. Your motorbike is in the storage compartment downstairs.”

               “You found it? She better have been well taken care of well.”

               “Your wand, Mr. Black.” Detective Svoboda held the wand out to him. “And follow me to the storage compartment.

               Sirius followed the detective, planning his journey to the Snape family next, prepared to do right by Harry from now on. That was his purpose in life now—giving Harry the life he deserved, being the godfather Harry desperately needed right now.

 

Present Timeline:

 

               “Vroom, vroom,” Harry said as he sat on Sirius’s motorbike outside the Snape house. “Can I go for a ride on it?”

               “Ehh, not today,” Sirius said. “Your father said you’re still trying to get that asthma controlled.”

               “It’s controlled,” Harry argued.

               “Nice try, little buddy,” Sirius said. He lifted Harry off his bike and set him down. “Maybe another time. I don’t want a repeat of the last visit.”

               “Okay.” Harry accepted Sirius’s hand and walked back toward the house with him. “When I’m older, I’m going to have a bike just like you.”

               “Is that so?”

               “Joshua and me had a movie night at Terrell’s, and we watched this show called Street Hawk,” Harry explained. “And this superhero rides a motorcycle and its super cool! I want to be like that. Are you a superhero with your motorcycle? Do you save people?”

               Sirius chuckled, then thought about the offer Detective Svoboda had given him a couple months ago.

               “You know what, Harry. I do save people. Because I am a super detective.” Sirius tickled Harry.

               “Really? That’s super brilliant. Wait till I tell Joshua!”

               Sirius smiled as he walked Harry back inside the house. Severus was reading with Iris in the armchair and Harry ran over to his father.

               “Daddy, did you know Uncle Sirius is a super detective? Like in Street Hawk!”

               “No, I was not made aware,” Severus said with a smile at his son. He patted Iris’s back. “We can finish this in a few minutes. How about a snack now, hmm?”

               “Okay,” Iris said. “I’ll go pick one out.”

               Iris and Harry ran to the kitchen while Severus stood up and walked over to Sirius.

               “A super detective? You’re not lying to Harry, are you?”

               “Of course not. They offered me the job. I just . . . haven’t accepted it yet.”

               “Well,” Severus smirked. “It sounds like you’ve accepted.”

               Harry came running back over with an apple in hand, which he held up to Severus.

               “Can you cut this for me? And can I have the caramel sauce?”

               “Yes, have you said goodbye to Uncle Sirius? I think he’d like to head out.”

               Sirius kneeled and opened his arms, which Harry quickly fell into.

               “Bye, Uncle Sirius.”

               “Bye, kiddo. I’ll be in touch. You be good in the meantime.”

               “I’m always good.”

               Sirius gave Harry’s forehead a kiss before standing up. He gave a curt nod to Severus before stepping out of the house. Sirius hesitated for a brief moment, then reached into his robe and pulled out the handheld mirror. He stared into it as he walked down the steps and toward his bike, asking to speak with Detective Svoboda.

               The inside of the mirror developed a hazy look as the outer edge glowed for a moment before Detective Svoboda’s head appeared in the mirror.

               “It’s about time,” she said.

               “Yeah, err, is that detective offer still on the table? I’ve decided I’d like to give it a try.”

               “The offer still stands. What made you finally say yes?”

               Sirius looked back at the Snape house, smiling softly for a moment before saying, “Harry.”

               “Of course. In that case, you’re expected in my office tomorrow morning at eight am sharp. Do not be late, rookie.”

               Sirius agreed, and the call ended. He placed the mirror in his robe once more before climbing on his bike, sparing one last glance at the house before zooming away to a brighter future.

 

To be continued...
Under the Weather by krosi

Severus woke up earlier than he would have liked, but seeing as he did have plans this Saturday, he decided he would force himself out of bed rather than try for an extra fifteen minutes of sleep. He showered to wake himself up more, then dressed in muggle clothes for the day before heading downstairs to see if his morning paper had arrived yet. He decided he would give his kids a few more minutes of rest before waking them up for the day, though he was sure one of his kids might already be awake.

               His first stop was the kitchen to grab a mug of steaming hot coffee . . . except the coffee pot was empty. It took Severus a moment to register that his coffee was not waiting for him, and another second to realize Harry was not awake. Severus snorted softly before making his own pot. Maybe he had gotten a little too used to being spoiled with premade coffee ready for the taking, but he was fine with Harry taking a day off. He could make his own coffee just fine.

               Once the pot was steaming up, he stepped outside to see if Tum had returned, and the owl was waiting patiently on the rail of his porch with the Daily Prophet in his talons. He paused in preening his feathers and gave a gentle hoot when Severus opened the door. Severus accepted the paper and allowed the owl to fly in before he stepped back into the house, sitting down at the head of the table to read while he waited for the coffee to finish.

               Finally, the coffee was made, and he took a grateful sip before deciding he should wake his kids up. He went to Harry’s room first, wanting to make sure everything was okay with his usual early riser. Harry was still wrapped up under his blanket lying on his stomach with Spikes tucked under his arm. Severus smiled as he approached his son, sitting on the edge of the bed before rubbing Harry’s back.

               “Time to wake up, son,” Severus encouraged. “Usually, you’re the one waking me.”

               Harry whined before covering his head with the blanket.

               “Now, now, none of that,” Severus said as he pulled the blanket off his son. He lifted Harry up into his arms, then hesitated as he felt how warm Harry was. Harry wrapped his arms around his neck and snuggled into his shoulder as he muttered, “It’s cold, Daddy.”

               “Are you feeling okay, honey?” Severus asked, brushing Harry’s hair back to feel his forehead.

               Harry shook his head against his father’s hand.

               Severus pulled out his wand and ran it over his son’s head. Numbers appeared in red shimmer along Harry’s forehead before disappearing just as quickly: thirty-eight point two degrees Celsius. Severus sighed as he ran a hand through Harry’s hair, allowing his son to rest his head on his shoulder once more. He rubbed Harry’s back as he used his wand to wordlessly summon a cool washcloth.

               Laying Harry back in bed, he draped the washcloth over his son’s head.

               “No,” Harry whined, reaching up to remove the washcloth, only for Severus to grab his hand. “It’s cold.”

               “I know,” Severus said. “It’s to help your fever.”

               “Daddy,” Iris complained as she stepped into Harry’s bedroom. “I don’t feel good.”

               Severus sighed as he reached up a hand to feel his daughter’s forehead when she paused next to him. She felt as warm as Harry, and at that moment he realized it was going to be a long day. He summoned another damp cloth and held it to her head while picking her up and settling her in his lap.

               “It looks like you two picked up whatever was going around at your school,” Severus said, knowing this from Tori, who said Joshua and Ruth had come down with a bug earlier in the week. Severus stood with Iris in his arms. “I’ll give you both a Pepper-up and then you can sleep some more in our beds.”

               “But I don’t want a Pepper-up,” Iris sniffled, her lip quivering and her eyes starting to water.

               “What’s a Pepper-up?” Harry asked, sitting up in bed, the cloth falling from his forehead.

               “A gross potion,” Iris answered before Severus could stop her.

               “I don’t want a gross potion,” Harry said, now his eyes watering as well.

               Severus pinched the bridge of his nose, letting out a heavy sigh before carrying his daughter back to her room. He set her down and repositioned the cloth on her forehead.

               “I’ll be right back,” Severus told her.

               Heading downstairs to his storage closet that he kept locked, an adjacent door to his study. He found two Pepper-up potions and two Fever Reducers. He was sure getting his two stubborn kids to take both potions was asking for a lot, but he also knew that if he didn’t heal them up fast, they would be ten times more cranky than usual. Severus stopped in the kitchen next and set a pot on the stove to start a hot lemon and honey tea with a few shavings of ginger.

               While the tea simmered, Severus headed back upstairs, heading for Iris’s room first to give her doses.

               “No, I don’t want to take potions,” Iris whined, puckering her lower lip out.

               “It’s to help you feel better, Iris,” Severus reminded as he sat on the edge of her bed. “Just a tablespoon each, and you know the sooner you take them, the sooner you’ll be done with it for the day. Then I can get the honey tea you like so much.”

               “But they’re gross,” Iris argued. “They make me feel worse.”

               “They do not. I know they are not pleasant tasting, but they’ll make you feel better as soon as you swallow them, just as they have done before. You want to feel better, don’t you? Would you like some juice to help chase the medicine down to make it easier?”

               Iris pouted for a moment before nodding her head. Severus snapped his fingers and a cup of juice appeared on Iris’s nightstand. Severus handed the small vial of Fever Reducer to Iris first, wanting to bring her temperature down as quickly as possible. Iris still pouted as she took her dose of medicine, then took several gulps of her juice to chase it down. Severus smiled softly at the dramatic display before handing over the next potion, the Pepper Up. Iris repeated the process of taking the potion and gulping juice before lying back in her bed.

               “Thank you, sweetheart,” Severus praised, giving his daughter a kiss on the temple. “I’ll bring your tea in once it’s ready. Get some rest.”

               Iris nodded as she wrapped herself up in her blanket once more.

               Severus dimmed her light before pausing in the hallway to consider his approach with Harry. Having raised Iris, he could usually convince her that potions were in her best interest, and if he made it seem like she had a say in how she took her medicine, she usually followed through with no more than a pout and grimace. Harry, on the other hand, well—he was still searching for what tactics worked best with his son. Reasoning only helped so far, and often, giving Harry any choices in the matter turned into an argument. Severus sighed before stepping into his son’s room.

               Harry instantly covered his head with his blanket.

               Severus said nothing as he sat on the edge of Harry’s bed.

               “I’m afraid the potions are not optional,” Severus began. “They will make you feel better, Harry.”

               “Yucky,” Harry’s muffled voice said from under the blanket.

               “Yes, they are not very tasty, but no medication is meant to be. Harry, I don’t want to fight with you on this. What can I do to make taking the potions easier for you?”

               “Nothing,” Harry said. “I don’t need them.”

               “I disagree. One will make your fever go away and the other one will help you feel better a lot sooner.”

               “No.”

               “Can you at least try a sip of each potion? You don’t have to take the whole thing all at once.”

               “I hate potions.”

               “And here I thought I might make you my little prodigy,” Severus joked lightly. “Would you prefer muggle medicine?”

               “Muggle medicine?” Harry peeked out from under his blanket.

               “Like what . . .” Severus hesitated as he considered when Harry may have encountered muggle medicine. “Like what your cousin Dudley would take if he was sick.”

               Severus pointedly avoided using the forbidden name.

               Harry seemed to frown, as if recalling moments of Dudley being sick, before the child shook his head and retreated under his blanket once more.

               “No. Yucky.”

               Severus sighed. His next option was just to wrestle the potions into Harry’s mouth, but the first and last time he had resorted to that was for a Sore Throat Reliever and Harry had screamed, kicked, nearly bit him, and spat out the potion everywhere by the end of it all. It had been draining and time wasted, as well as a wasted dose of a good potion. He had ended up just giving Harry a spoonful of honey and tea after, which may have been counterproductive, but in the moment, Severus had felt completely defeated.

               But not this time. He was going to avoid getting to that extreme point. Potions couldn’t be a forever battle he would have with Harry every time his son ended up sick. He needed a technique that worked to get Harry to willingly take the potion on his own. Severus thought back to his own mother’s tricks she had used on him, but he had exhausted those options with Harry. He recalled Lily’s mother, Mrs. Evans, and the tricks she had used on her daughters, including one that convinced Lily to take muggle medicine every time.

               “Harry,” Severus asked, pulling the blanket down from Harry slightly. “Would you like an ice lolly?”

               Harry gave his father a curious look.

               “Like a red one?” Harry asked.

               Of course, he wanted a red one, Severus couldn’t help but think. He smiled nonetheless and nodded.

               “I believe I have a red one,” Severus promised. And if he didn’t, he would just spell the ice lolly red. “However, after a couple licks, you have to take one of the potions.”

               Harry pouted.

               “You probably won’t even be able to taste it after having the ice lolly though.”

               Harry frowned, then asked, “Really?”

               “Really. The flavor of the ice lolly should disguise the taste of the potion, but if it doesn’t, the coldness might make your tongue numb enough you won’t even notice the potion.”

               Harry frowned, his fingers fiddling with the fringe of his blanket.

               “Are you lying to me?” Harry asked.

               Severus felt his heart break just a little at that.

               “No, Harry, I am not. I can’t guarantee it will work every time, but it should hide the taste of the medication. Your mother used to take her potions with an ice lolly. It seemed to work for her.”

               “Mummy really did that?” Harry asked.

               “She did. That’s why I’m hoping it will work for you. You need the potions to get better, but I don’t want to force them on you. It’s not pleasant for either of us, and this shouldn’t be a difficult process. Do you want to try an ice lolly?”

               After a few seconds of serious thinking on Harry’s part, Harry finally nodded and sat up on his bed. Severus summoned an ice lolly from his freezer with a snap of his fingers, and luck was with him as a red one appeared for them. He unwrapped the treat and handed it to Harry.

               “Remember, a few licks then you take one potion.”

               Harry happily began enjoying his treat, quickly turning his lips, tongue, and teeth red. Severus allowed Harry about thirty seconds with the treat before he slowly took the treat from Harry, who reluctantly gave it up to his father. Severus handed Harry the fever reducer.

               “Quickly, before the effects wear off,” Severus said.

               Harry’s lower lip puckered out as he took the potion, but he had a hopeful look in his eyes that maybe the ice lolly would work, and with a trustful look at his father, Harry quickly drank the small dose. Harry blinked as he smacked his lips, then gave his father a very red smile.

               “It worked, Daddy!” Harry exclaimed. “I didn’t even taste it.”

               Severus couldn’t help the breath of relief that escaped his lips as he smiled back at his son. No arguing, no fighting, no struggling, and no spiting the potion up. Thank you, Lily and Mrs. Evans, he praised loudly in his head.

               “Okay, let’s do it again one more time, then you can finish the ice lolly.”

               Harry readily took the treat back and began eating it once more. When Severus handed him the next potion, Harry didn’t hesitate to take it, and Severus ruffled his son’s hair, kissing his temple before leaving the room to check on the tea. He was still feeling the thrills of finally finding a way to get Harry to take his potions with no arguments. Finally!

               Severus heard the whistling pot in the kitchen, and he poured tea for both kids, adding a tablespoon more of honey to each cup, knowing his sweet tooth children would have it no other way. Severus planned to make a vitamin packed soup next for lunch, but he would let his kids rest for the rest of the morning once he gave them their teas.

               Iris stirred when she heard her father enter her room, and she accepted her tea, sipping slowly. Severus checked her temperature, glad that it had dropped some. He went to Harry’s room next, who had managed to turn the rest of his face red from the cold treat. Severus cleaned his face and teeth with a quick freshening up charm, earning a giggle from Harry at the ticklish sensation. Harry took his inhaler at his father’s reminder, then accepted the tea but stared down at it curiously. Once he tried it, however, he seemed to enjoy the taste, and drank half of it in one go. Severus was sure Iris would drag Harry in for proper tea etiquette lessons once they were both feeling better.

               Severus told both kids to rest, and he headed downstairs to start the soup. He wanted it to simmer for a few hours to soak in the most nutrients possible from all the ingredients. It was a basic vegetable and chicken soup, a family recipe he learned from his mother, and it always made everyone who ate it feel a lot better. Sometimes, even the simplest cures were the most effective. 

               Once the soup was simmering, he checked on his kids, finding them both sleeping in bed, and he decided to work on grading while he had the downtime presented to him. While working on fourth year essays, the floo flared, and he glanced up to see who was stepping through.

               “Hi Severus,” Tori greeted as she stepped out of the green flames, Esther in her arms.

               “Good morning,” Severus greeted, standing up. “What brings you over?”

               “Well, you know how it works in a family,” Tori explained, as she adjusted Esther on her hip, “when one gets sick, everyone gets sick. Esther spiked a fever this morning, and I had a Pepper Up but no Fever Reducer. I was hoping I could borrow a few doses. Ruth and Joshua are better, but I think after Esther, Sam and I will be next.”

               “Of course,” Severus said, heading to his storage closet to grab the potions in question. As he reentered the living room, he said, “Perhaps I should pretreat myself. Harry and Iris are sick right now.”

               “Aww, poor dears,” Tori cooed. “These bugs really knock them off their feet. Okay, Esther, ready for one more potion?”

               Tori used one hand to sign to her daughter, and Esther’s eyes widened, and the little girl shook her head, putting her hands over her mouth. Tori gave her an amused look.

               “Care to assist?” Tori asked Severus.

               “Must I? I just had to drug my two kids.”

               “Then what’s one more?”

               Severus sighed and stepped forward. Tori pulled Esther’s hands away and Severus quickly tilted Esther’s chin up, then gently lifted her lip to pour the potion into the girl’s cheek since Esther had her jaw clenched shut. He quickly put a hand over Esther’s mouth, which encouraged her to swallow the liquid to get rid of the gross taste.

               “There,” Tori said. “Look how quick and easy that was.”

               Esther glared at Severus before moving her hands in fast and assertive movements.

               “Esther,” Tori mock-scolded.

               “Oh,” Severus said with a chuckle. “That looked aggressive. Do I even want to know what she said?”

               Tori smiled at Severus.

               “She’s holding you in contempt.”

               “Is that so? What are my dues, Your Honor?”

               Tori signed to Esther, who frowned for a minute then signed, “No more potions.”

               Severus understood without translation, and he smirked at Esther.

               “I think I can make that happen,” he said as he pulled out the rest of the potion vials. “Because I’m going to give these to your mother, and she can give you them as needed.”

               Tori signed what Severus was saying and accepted the vials with an annoyed huff at Severus.

               “Make me the bad guy, huh?” Tori teased.

               “How’s that?” Severus asked Esther in sign.

               Esther had watched in horror as her mother was handed several vials of potions, then she reached her arms out for Severus, who chuckled as he accepted Esther into his arms, her mother handing her over in order to pocket the potion vials. He rocked Esther slightly as the girl laid her head on his shoulder, and he could feel the heat she was emitting, but the potion’s effect was cooling her down quickly.

               “I think I have been forgiven,” Severus said.

               “She’s always had a soft spot for you,” Tori said. “Smitten little thing. You’re welcome to keep her until she’s all healed.”

               “Nope,” Severus said, handing Esther back to her mother once Tori had everything pocketed. “I’ve got two sick ones of my own.”

               “Bummer,” Tori said with a smirk as she accepted her daughter back. “Once Esther’s better and Samuel and I somehow manage to evade this, we’re hoping the kids will be up for a little road trip. We had quite the Easter break planned for everyone. What did you plan on doing?”

               “For the Easter holidays? Absolutely nothing. No work, no school, just rest.”

               “You’re no fun. Maybe you should take Harry and Iris on a road trip and go to Cornwall . . . or Lake District—that would be fun! There’s a really nice hotel with a spa out that way. You should do that, take Harry somewhere nice with his new family.”

               “I don’t know . . .”

               “Oh, come on, he deserves it, after everything he’s been through. Besides, it’s been a while since you’ve taken Iris somewhere that wasn’t Hogwarts.”

               “Which she treats like an adventure every time anyway. I’ll think about it. Honestly, it might be nice to get out of the house for a change.”

               “I’m telling you; a road trip will be so much fun. The kids will love it. You can go somewhere really nice and enjoy the trip there on the way, that’s half the fun.”

               “Harry can barely stand being strapped into his car seat to get to school, you think he’ll enjoy a long car ride to some surprise destination?”

               “Of course, you’ll need some activities for them to do when they ultimately get bored, and they always do. But I think he’ll love it. Some family time with just you three, no visits, no trials, no godfathers, no kidnappings. Just you and your kids having a great time at some luxury hotel.”

               “Yes, because I can afford that. I’ll think about it.”

               “You won’t regret it,” Tori said as she turned back to the fireplace. “You will if you don’t do it.”

               “Get out of here, and get some rest,” Severus said.

               “Bye, Sev. Say bye, Esther.” Esther waved goodbye as the green flames swallowed them away, sending them home. Severus shook his head fondly. He checked on the soup, then headed upstairs to check on his kids. He stopped at Iris’s room first, but she was not in her bed. Thinking she may be chatting with Harry, he stopped at his son’s room next, but Harry was also not in his bed. Frowning, he glanced in the bathroom, then walked down the hall to his own bedroom, where he smiled softly.

               Harry and Iris were sharing his bed, cuddled under the blankets, and sharing the same pillow. Severus tiptoed up to his bed and tucked the blankets around them more snugly, feeling their foreheads at the same time, then closed the curtains in his room.

               He closed his door partly so no sounds would disturb them. The idea of a road trip doesn’t sound so bad right now. After all, Harry never had a real vacation before. He would want something special and memorable for Harry’s first family outing. Lake District wasn’t a bad idea, but Severus would research a few more. There were plenty of family friendly places all over the UK, he was sure others would have some recommendations. Easter holidays were a week away so he would need to plan fast as he was sure many other families had already made their reservations.  

               He wasn’t entirely fond of the idea of driving for hours anywhere with Harry and Iris in the backseat, but apparently, that was “half the fun.” It would be worth it, he was sure. What could possibly go wrong with an innocent family vacation?  

 

To be continued...
Road Trip by krosi

Severus had never felt more unprepared for anything as he collected last-minute items for his trip. He made sure he had enough outfits and socks for their weeklong vacation, as well as enough muggle cash for any unplanned expenses. He was tempted to just apparate himself and his kids to their destination, or even floo, but as Tori had said, the “getting there” was just as fun as the destination itself. For the kids, at least, as Severus could not see how driving for hours on end would be fun. Severus ran through his checklist in his head, reminding himself to have the kids grab their toothbrushes for him after they finished breakfast. Of course, Harry and Iris were of no help, as both kids took their time getting dressed and packing up their last-minute must haves—such as Harry’s Spike and Iris’s Honey.

               Severus walked downstairs where his two children were still at the table finishing breakfast, though Harry had a very annoyed look on his face as he played with the last bits of cereal and milk in his bowl. Severus quickly discovered why when Iris leaned over and planted a kiss on Harry’s cheek.

               “Stop it,” Harry whined as he brushed an arm over his cheek.

               Iris ate another bite of her cereal, not saying anything for a few seconds before she leaned over and kissed Harry’s cheek again.

               “I said stop,” Harry growled, wiping at his cheek before raising his hand.

               “Ah-ah,” Severus said as he walked by the two, grabbing Harry’s hand to stop him from hitting his sister. “We do not hit.”

               “She keeps kissing me,” Harry said.

               “Because she knows it annoys you. Ignore her and move to the other side of the table if you must. But do not hit your sister.”

               Harry grabbed his bowl and moved to the seat at the end of the table. Iris moodily shrugged her shoulders when her father turned his eyes on her.

               “I was just showing him my love,” Iris said.

               “I’m about to show you my love,” Severus said before wrapping his arms around his daughter and planting several kisses on her, making her laugh and squirm in his grasp. Before Severus released her, he said firmly, “Stop teasing your brother and finish your breakfast. We need to finish packing so we can get on the road.”

               “I don’t even know where we’re going,” Iris complained. “What if I don’t like it?”

               “I’m sure you will enjoy it very much,” Severus said. “Finish eating, quickly, both of you.”

               Iris slowly took another bite of her food, and Severus bit back an exasperated growl at her willful defiance and instead said, “The sooner we get on the road, the sooner we’ll get to our surprise vacation.”

               “I don’t like surprises,” Harry muttered as he played with his cereal.

               “Harry, all you’ve done is play with your food. If you’re not going to eat anymore, you can go brush your teeth then bring me your toothbrush.”

               Harry slid out of his seat to brush his teeth. Iris stuck her tongue out at him as he walked by, and Harry copied her action. Severus caught the behavior out of the corner of his eye, but he hoped the two got all of their sibling rivalry behavior out of their system before the trip, so he held his tongue while he placed several stasis charms on the food in his fridge and pantry. Iris finished her breakfast and carried her dish out to the sink and Severus spelled Harry’s dishes out to the sink as well and cast a self-wash charm on them. Iris ran to the upstairs bathroom just as Harry came down with his toothbrush, and Severus was happy he managed to keep the two from trying to brush their teeth at the same time.

               He packed Harry’s toothbrush in Harry’s suitcase, double checking that he had Harry’s inhalers before looking over at his son as Harry grabbed Spike off the couch. He frowned at Harry’s sock-clad feet.

               “Harry, where are your trainers?”

               “I don’t know,” Harry said with a shrug. “I couldn’t find them.”

               “Where did you last have them?”

               “I don’t know. The mudroom?”

               “Did you check there?”

               “No.”

               Severus resisted rolling his eyes as he said, “Why don’t you look there and get your trainers on? We need to leave soon.”

               Harry sighed as if finding his shoes and putting them on was the most inconvenient thing in the world before he set Spike down and headed to the mudroom. Iris came down with her toothbrush and handed it to Severus, who packed it away in her suitcase. Iris grabbed her doll and a few reusable window clings to play with while Harry came back with untied trainers on his feet.

               “Daddy, I need help tying my laces,” Harry said, holding one of his feet out.

               Severus kneeled and quickly tied Harry’s trainers. It would just be faster if he did it rather than walking Harry through tying them himself as he would normally do. Once Harry was fastened up, he asked his kids to try using the loo one more time, then he ushered his kids out the door and to his car, packing all three suitcases in the trunk while his kids climbed into their car seats. Iris began decorating the window with her fairy princess window clings, creating a fairy garden with unicorns and fairies in flower houses. Harry began playing with Spike, a few of his little plastic dinosaurs sitting in the seat next to him, along with a few other toys, coloring books, and craft items for the long ride.

               Severus finally climbed into the front seat and started their journey. This would be their first family vacation, even for himself and Iris. He hoped they liked the destination when they got there, but he wasn’t spilling anything to them as he really wanted it to be a surprise. He just hoped that everyone could amuse themselves for the ride.

               However, not long into the ride, both Harry and Iris were feeling antsy, and Harry was swinging his feet, occasionally hitting the back of Severus’s seat accidentally while Iris found amusement teasing her brother again as she reached out a finger as if she might poke Harry, who glared at her.

               “I’m not touching you,” Iris said when Harry pushed her hand away. She slowly reached out her finger again.

               “Stop it.”

               “I’m not touching you.”

               “Iris, leave your brother alone,” Severus scolded. “Find something to amuse yourself with.”

               “I was,” Iris muttered under her breath.

               Harry stuck his tongue out at her, and she copied him. So, Harry stuck his tongue out more while putting his hands on his ears and wiggling his fingers.

               Iris retorted with her tongue still out and her thumb on her nose while she wiggled her fingers back.

               Harry put both hands on his cheeks and smushed his face in as much as possible.

               Iris put her index fingers in her mouth and spread her cheeks apart while crossing her eyes.

               “Keep making faces at each other and I will freeze them in place,” Severus threatened.

               Both kids dropped their hands and pouted at their father before Iris grabbed a coloring book while Harry resumed swinging his feet, staring out the window and watching as they passed through a city toward the highway. After another ten minutes of driving, Harry kicked Severus’s seat.

               “I’m bored, Daddy,” Harry complained.

               “Kicking my seat is an unacceptable way to tell me that,” Severus said. “There’s plenty for you to do back there, you have your toys, books, coloring books—”

               “It’s all boring,” Harry interrupted.

               “Then stare out the window and continue to be bored or take a nap,” Severus said. “We have a long ride ahead of us, so I suggest you find a way to make it enjoyable.”

               Severus was starting to question why Tori thought there was enjoyment in the road trip portion of a vacation. What on earth did she do with three kids in the car to keep them occupied while driving for hours on end? He fiddled with the radio, hoping there was something on the radio aimed toward kids, but he did not have much luck.

               Harry reached for one of the coloring books and flipped through it.

               “These are boring,” Harry complained. “What book are you coloring in?”

               “Since when do you want to color?” Iris asked as she paused in what she was coloring in to flip through her animal coloring book.

               “I’m bored. Are there any dinosaur ones?”

               “Here’s a dinosaur,” Iris said, showing Harry a page of a brachiosaurus.

               “Let me color that one,” Harry said, reaching for the book but Iris pulled it away.

               “No, I’m coloring in this. It’s mine.”

               “That’s not fair. You have to share.”

               “No, I don’t.”

               “Yes, you do. Dad says so.”

               “Make me.”

               “Give it to me!” Harry reached across the space between him and Iris, straining against his seatbelt.

               “Get your own!” Iris yelled.

               “Do not make me come back there, you two,” Severus snapped, glancing in his rearview mirror at them.

               “She won’t share her book!” Harry accused, pointing a finger at Iris.

               “He doesn’t even like coloring,” Iris argued.

               “I do if it’s a dinosaur.”

               “Well, it’s the only one I’ve got.”

               “No, it’s not.”

               “How would you know?”

               “There will be no coloring if you don’t stop with the bickering.”

               “That’s not fair, he started it.” Iris pointed at Harry while frowning at her father.

               “No, I didn’t, she did.”

               “Nuh uh, I’ve been being good.”

               “As good as a feather duster,” Harry retorted as he crossed his arms.

               “Don’t you sass me!” Iris snapped, glaring at her brother.

               “Enough!” Severus intervened. “Iris, share your coloring book. You have three back there. Let Harry have that one page, please. It’s a long ride.”

               “Fine.” Iris handed Harry the coloring book and grabbed another one, flipping through the pages until she found a fairy to color.

               Severus sighed as silence filled his car for a while. Harry picked through the crayons in search of the right colors for his dinosaur while Iris settled on a blue crayon to color the background of her page like the sky. Of course, peace was not meant to last long for this trip, and Severus tightened his grip on the steering wheel as the kids started up again, his knuckles white as he grit his teeth.

               “You took the red crayon,” Harry complained.

               “So,” Iris said as she continued to use it.

               “I needed it next.”

               “Well, I’m using it.”

               “You’ve been using it forever.

                “You used all the green!”

               “And you took all the blue!”

               “Did not.”

               “Yes, you did. You’re still not sharing.”   

               “Hey, I will turn this car around and there will be no vacation if you guys can’t get along.” Severus threatened as he watched the two kids fight over the red crayon. He really did not want to pull over on a busy road just to scold his kids and confiscate their things but unfortunately the situation was only escalating.

               “Ow!” Harry cradled his hand and looked at Severus pointedly. “She hit me.”

               “He pinched me.”

               “No, I didn’t.”

               “Yes, you did, don’t lie.”

               “Knock it off, you two. Keep your hands to yourselves.” Severus flicked his wrist and all the coloring books and crayons vanished from the backseat. “We’re done coloring for now. Sit back and enjoy the ride.”

               “Nice going,” Iris pouted, crossing her arms and kicking her feet.

               “It’s your fault,” Harry said, crossing his arms and looking away.

               “No, it’s not, you were hogging all my crayons.”

               “Your crayons were garbage anyway.”

               “I’ll show you garbage.” Iris clenched her fists and glared at her brother.

               “Now it’s boring again, thanks to you.”

               “You’re such a crybaby.”

               “Says you. You still sleep in nappies.”

               “No, I don’t!” Iris declared with a beet-red face.

               “Now, come on, that’s enough! Not another word back there or you’re both taking a nap.”

               Finally, the kids retreated to their own corners, playing with their own toys quietly for a peaceful thirty minutes. Severus focused on the road, reminding himself that the destination would be worth it for all involved, including himself. In the quiet that ensued, he managed to relax himself by practicing his occlumency, mediating and calming his nerves. The kids were just having a rough day, that was all. They weren’t usually at each other’s throats like this—it was just a phase, and it would pass with some time. So far, this road trip was the worst idea.  

               The peace ended when Harry piped up.

               “Are we there yet? I’m bored.”

               “I’m hungry,” Iris complained. “I want a sandwich.”

               “I need a drink,” Harry added.

               “I gotta go, too,” Iris said, grabbing at herself.

               Severus sighed. He had snacks and drinks in the trunk, but since Iris was complaining of a potty break, he might as well as pull over at the next service station. Thankfully, he spotted one just a mile down the road.

               “We can stop for lunch and a bathroom break for a half hour, then we need to get back on the road, okay?”

               Once he arrived at the rest stop, he freed his kids from their seats and Iris was quick to use the restroom before dragging her father toward the sandwich counter in the small food court at the rest stop. Severus felt his irritation rising once more as Harry struggled to decide on what he wanted while Iris picked apart the sandwich she had asked for.

“I don’t like this,” Iris said, flicking a cucumber off her sandwich. “I didn’t want cucumbers.”

“Then why did you ask for them?” Severus asked.

“I forgot,” Iris answered.

“Is there any pizza here?” Harry asked.

“Harry, I’ve told you what they have several times now. You can go make a sandwich or get a pre-made one or a salad or grab any of the snacks they have around. Pick something please.”

“I’m not hungry anymore,” Harry decided. “Can I get a fizzy drink?”

Severus growled under his breath, then said, “No, but you may have milk or juice.”

While Harry picked out a juice, Severus grabbed a few nut bars just in case Harry changed his mind later. He still has some fruit snacks as well in his car if Harry didn’t want the fruit bars. Harry settled on a juice box and slurped it down quickly while Iris destroyed her sandwich, eating only bits and pieces of it. Severus disposed of the rest and herded his kids back to the car.

They were back on the road in ten minutes headed toward their destination.

“I gotta go to the loo,” Harry announced.

“Me, too,” Iris said.

“Why didn’t you go at the service station!?” Severus couldn’t help but shout.

“I didn’t have to go then,” Harry answered softly.

“I have to go again,” Iris confessed.

Severus growled in exasperation quite loudly as he searched for a place to do a U-turn. He finally found one a few minutes down the road and turned the car around to head back to the station. He managed to get back in ten minutes and hurried his kids out of the car before either one could have had an accident. He took them to the family restroom and made sure everyone actually relieved themselves.

Back on the road, the kids were quiet as they fiddled with some of their toys, and it was a welcome change for Severus.

               “Can I play with Spike?” Iris asked, pointing at the stegosaurus.

               Severus glanced in his rearview mirror, hoping the question didn’t blow up into an argument.

               Harry hesitated for a second before handing Spike over to Iris, who cradled the stuffed dinosaur.

               “Do you want to play with my wand?” Iris asked, holding her toy wand out to Harry.

               Harry smiled and accepted the toy, waving it around to make the tip light up or swishing it for bubbles. Severus could hardly believe the interaction after this morning’s events. He silently cast a charm to keep the bubbles contained in the back seat and out of his window view. Iris tilted the stegosaurus back and pretended to feed him with one of her baby doll’s bottles.

               “What are you doing?” Harry asked her.

               “I’m feeding him,” Iris said as if it should have been obvious. “He’s hungry.”

               “He doesn’t drink milk,” Harry said, though he didn’t seem too bothered as he kept making more bubbles. “He eats leaves.”

               “He’s a baby so he needs milk first.”

               Harry said nothing in response as he made the bubbles light up with a flick of the wand in a different direction.

               Severus was surprised Harry hadn’t pushed the subject after all their disagreements with everything else thus far. One minute, they were at each other’s throats and the next they were best friends sharing their toys. After an hour, the kids grew quiet, and when Severus glanced back, he was glad to see the two napping, Iris cuddling Spike and her doll, Honey, and Harry still holding onto the toy wand in a lax grip. Severus smiled at his kids, turning the radio down slightly. Perhaps the road trip wasn’t the worst idea.

               He drove in blissful silence with the radio offering subtle background noise as he went over his plans for the vacation in his head. He really hoped the two enjoyed what he had planned for them. The last-minute plans had been hard to accomplish as the Easter break was usually a very busy time of year for many places in the UK, especially where they were going, but Tori had assisted him thankfully, and he managed to pull off a miracle in his head. How on earth there was even a room left at the hotel was beyond him, but he felt Tori had reserved the room with a sneaking suspicion Severus might need it.

               An hour and a half past when Iris stirred and looked around blearily, blinking as she took in the new landscapes around her before her eyes widened and she jumped excitedly in her car seat.

               “We’re going to the beach?” she asked.

               Severus smiled back at her excitement and Iris grinned before bouncing in her seat more. She looked over at Harry, who was still sleeping. She threw Spike at Harry, who jumped awake.

               “Hey,” he complained as he rubbed his head, adjusting his glasses and holding Spike.

               “Look outside,” Iris said.

               Harry looked outside his window, taking in the gentle waves massaging the sandy beaches below.

               “Iris, Harry, welcome to Cornwall,” Severus said. He nodded toward the beach. “Down there is Gwithian Beach. And up ahead is where we will be staying.”

               Iris bounced more in her seat as she grinned at the castle hotel they were coming up to. There was a spa at the hotel as well, which Severus would make use of for sure in his time here, and he was sure Iris wouldn’t mind some pampering. Harry, on the other hand, would probably skip spa day, but he had a lot planned for his son while he was busy treating Iris to the spa.

               “We’re really staying here! I’ll be like a princess!” Iris said gladly.

               Harry snuggled Spike close while he looked around, taking everything in.

               Severus pulled up to a parking space close to the hotel entrance, then looked back at his kids.

               “What do you say we get checked in, settle in our room, then we can take a walk down to the beach?”     

               “Yes!” Iris cheered, throwing her hands up.

               “Is it safe?” Harry asked nervously.

               “Of course,” Severus asked. “We’re just going to walk along the beach, nothing more than a little sand and the tide tickling your feet.”

               “But what if . . .”

               “Oh, Harry, you’ll be okay. This is supposed to be a fun experience. You’ll see when we get down there.”

               Severus stepped out of the vehicle and helped Harry out of his car seat as the child seemed a bit frozen. Iris leaped out of her seat and helped drag suitcases out of the trunk.

               “Did you pack bathing suits?” Iris asked.

               “You both will need new bathing suits anyway,” Severus said. “I figured we could do a little shopping tomorrow before we visit the beach for swimming.”

               “It’s getting dark,” Harry said as he stood next to his father. “Should we just visit the beach tomorrow.”

               “It’s not too dark yet,” Severus said, handing Harry’s suitcase to his son to pull inside. “You’ll be okay. Come on, let’s go get settled in our room.”

               Severus led the way into the massive hotel, his kids at his heels with their suitcases dragging behind them while Severus carried his. He checked in and was glad it was a fairly easy process, and he was handed a key for his room. He led the way to the elevator and pushed the number three. Once at the third floor, he found their room number and unlocked the door. There was only one triple family room left when Tori helped him find a hotel, and it had a double bed and a twin bed in the room, a small seating area with a TV, a small vanity table with a mirror, and a large bathroom with a shower and a tub. Breakfast was available every morning in the hotel, so all Severus had to do was feed his kids lunch and dinner, but he had planned on spoiling them with meals out anyway.

               “I love it!” Iris said, jumping on the double bed.

               “Who would like to sleep where?” Severus asked as he set the suitcases in the chairs in the sitting room. When he turned around, he noticed Iris and Harry sitting on top of the double bed. He snorted. “Okay. I guess I get the little bed.”

               Iris laughed as she plopped back on the fluffy pillows.

               “They smell really nice,” Iris said. She grabbed the towel on the bed. “Look, Daddy, it’s a swan!”

               “So, I see,” Severus smiled at his daughter. He changed his boots to sandals, and he pulled out flipflops for his kids. “Come on, change shoes if you want to head to the beach.”

               Iris hopped off the bed and kicked off her shoes and socks quickly while Harry remained seated on the bed.

               “I don’t want to go,” Harry said.

               Severus sat next to his son on the double bed.

               “You have absolutely nothing to worry about. I’ll be with you the whole time. Are you afraid of the beach?”

               “There’s sharks at the beach,” Harry said. “And sea monsters, and giant crabs, and stinging jellyfish.”

               “Who told you that?”

               Harry’s lower lip quivered, and he looked down at the bedsheets as he squeezed his dinosaur close. Severus sighed as he realized who would have told Harry about all the scary monsters at a beach. He rubbed Harry’s back comfortingly, pulling his son close to lean against his shoulder.

               “Harry, you have to know that your aunt was just trying to scare you,” Severus said. “First of all, there are no sea monsters here. Crabs, once in a while you might see, but they keep to themselves, Jellyfish do show up at the beach sometimes, but they leave people alone, they won’t hurt you. And there’s only a couple species in the water that actually hurt when they sting but they only do that if you accidentally step on one. But if you do get stung, I have a potion that will fix you right up.”

               “What about sharks?”

               “Well, I’ve yet to see a shark at the beach, but if we do see one, they do not usually attack humans. It is very rare, and the beaches have lifeguards who will let you know if they see a shark. And I will be with you as well, so you are more than safe from any sharks.”

               “You promise?” Harry asked.

               “I promise. And if it makes you feel any better, I will be in the water with you if you’d like.”

               “I would like that.”

               “I won’t make you do anything you are not ready for. There will be many people at the beach, though, you’ll see. There is no need to be afraid of the beach.”

               Harry just snuggled against his father, cuddling Spike against him.

               Iris crossed her arms in front of them.

               “Can we go now?”

               “Alright, Iris, we’re going,” Severus said with a chuckle. He picked up Harry and set him down. “Take your shoes off and get these flipflops on. We’re just going to walk on the beach. You don’t have to touch the water if you don’t want to.”

               Harry obediently put on the flipflops then followed Severus and Iris out of their hotel room and out of the hotel into the chilly evening. Severus held both kids’hands as he crossed the street and headed to the stairs leading down to the beach. The tide was low at the moment, and they were not the only ones with the idea of an evening stroll along the beach. Severus pulled his sandals off right before the sand, Iris quick to copy him as she kicked off the flipflops, Harry a little slower to do so. Iris let go of her dad’s hand and took off through the sand, laughing and kicking it around before chasing the tide inward, then running away with a squeal when it chased her back. She screamed as the cold water caught her feet.

               Harry clenched tightly to Severus’s hand, and Severus could feel a slight tremor in his son’s grip. He walked slowly with Harry through the sand, walking along the ocean without touching the water while Iris ran alongside them, playing in the tide and wet sand. Harry slowly relaxed as nothing attacked them in the first five minutes of their walk, nor did he see any dorsal fins in the water. Iris appeared to be having a lot of fun with the tide, too.

               “Do you want to try putting your feet in the water?” Severus asked him.

               Harry shook his head.

               “What if we let the water come to you? Just the very edge of it? I’ll be right with you.”

               Harry hesitated, then nodded. He allowed Severus to walk them closer to the tide where Iris was still playing tag with it. Severus stopped as the water receded, and he had Harry stand in front of him. Harry watched wide eyed as the water rushed straight for them, and he squealed as his feet were covered in the cold ocean, turning into Severus at the sudden sensation. But it lasted for a moment as it ran away from him, back into the night.

Harry glanced back at the ocean, watching as the tide came back for him and he laughed softly as the cold water touched his feet again before it pulled away. He looked up at his father, who smiled down at him. This wasn’t so bad after all. Harry relaxed his hold on Severus’s hand as the water came back and tickled his feet again, earning another shriek from Harry.

“It’s cold,” Harry said with a smile.

“I quite agree,” Severus said behind him.

               Harry watched as the tide was coming for them again, and this time, he let go of Severus’s hand to run away from it, as Iris was doing. Iris paused next to him.

               “Race you,” she challenged, then ran after the tide, Harry smiling and running after her a second after, only to turn and run away as the tide chased both kids, catching them and they screamed in laughter.

               Severus chuckled at their antics as he walked along the tide, allowing it to rush over his feet with each pull of a wave, his kids running alongside him as they played chicken with the tide.

 

To be continued...
Family Vacation Part 1 by krosi

Lightning lit up the dark room every few minutes, but the thunder was a low rumble in the distance, and it was still very early morning, so Severus turned away from the window and pulled the blanket higher up over his shoulders, closing his eyes and willing himself to fall back to sleep. While his kids had claimed the large double bed, he was stuck with the small twin size, and it did not have much room for stretching out. Not that he cared, as long as his two kids were happy, he would tolerate the small space.

               Another flash from the incoming storm lit the room, and Severus opened his eyes to see Harry standing next to his bed. He had grown used to Harry’s nighttime appearances, so he was hardly alarmed to see his son just standing a few inches away from him.

               “What are you doing up, son?” Severus asked in a tired voice.

               “The lightning woke me up,” Harry said. “It’s too bright.”

               Severus sat up reluctantly with a yawn, then stood up and walked over to the large window looking over the rolling waves outside. He untied the curtains and pulled them close, allowing only the outer edges of the curtains to illuminate with each lightning flash. He turned back to Harry.  

               “Is that better? No more lighting up the room now.”

               Harry nodded but didn’t move as Severus laid back down on his bed, ready to fall back to sleep.

               “Is there something else you need?” Severus dared to ask.

               “I’m thirsty,” Harry answered.

               Severus sighed, then waved his hand, summoning a paper cup from the small kitchenette, if a sink and a small fridge could be called a kitchenette. He used his wand to fill the cup with water, then handed it to Harry, who gulped it down.

               “Are you satisfied now?” Severus asked. “Ready to go back to sleep? It’s not even four am yet.”

               “Can I sleep with you?” Harry asked, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

               “Oh, sure, climb in what little space is left,” Severus said sarcastically, though it went over Harry’s head as the little boy climbed in next to his father, forcing Severus to back up into the wall behind them. If it meant he could go back to sleep, he could sacrifice a little bit of comfort. Severus covered them with a blanket and wrapped an arm around his son, closing his eyes once more.

               A loud boom shook the room.

               A second later, Iris was landing on top of Severus, crawling over her father, and wrapping her arms around his neck, shaking in his arms as Severus groaned and sat up once more. Severus squeezed his arms around Iris, holding her close as she wildly looked around the room.

               “It was just thunder, sweetie,” Severus said. “It can’t hurt you. We’ve talked about this.”

               Lightning flashed and an instant after, another loud bang echoed outside, making Iris tremble more against her father as she whimpered and tightened her hold on Severus.

               “It’s too loud in here,” Harry complained, sitting up next to Severus, rubbing his eyes.

               “Perhaps we could dull the noise some,” Severus said, picking up his wand once more and flicking it, casting a muffling sound that drowned out some of the thunder, but only enough where it was still audible, just not deafening. Severus had been trying for the last year to work through Iris’s fear of thunder, but the noise continued to frighten her despite his best reasonings and efforts. He set his wand down and rubbed Iris’s back comfortingly. “Would you like a bit of calming draught?”

               Iris shook her head.

               “I want to sleep with you,” Iris whispered.

               “Of course,” Severus muttered. “This bed is too small for all three of us, so we’re relocating.”

               Severus urged Harry to crawl out of the bed, then stood up with Iris clinging to him. He moved to the larger double bed, which gave enough room for him to lie in the center with both kids at his sides. It wasn’t quite the same as his bed at home, but he could tolerate everyone’s closeness. And the larger bed was a lot more comfortable, so maybe he could tolerate this all week.

               Harry and Iris snuggled into his side and Severus covered everyone with a blanket and settled back in the pillow. The thunder rumbled on, Harry fell asleep quickly, but Iris did not stop trembling until it was much quieter, a distance rumble once more. She finally fell asleep, and Severus, who had his eyes closed but couldn’t settle until his daughter was more relaxed, finally fell asleep himself.

               Later that morning brought a dreary, cloudy day, and the ocean had rough waves that Severus did not trust. Thankfully, the poor weather was just for today. The rest of the week would be bright andsunny, and Severus had been planning on that to be the case so he could take his kids shopping for new bathing suits.

               Severus had never liked shopping. Iris made the experience better as she was easy to please and all Severus had to do was find her size in whatever she liked. Of course, she could go overboard, and today was no exception as she found four bathing suits she really liked, and Severus told her to try them on and pick her two favorites.

               Harry, on the other hand, was a little less inclined to pick out swimming trunks, forcing Severus to engage a little more in the shopping experience. Severus had managed to find a couple dinosaur trunks, one with plesiosaurs on it and another with t-rexes on them. Harry seemed to like the idea of water dinosaurs for swimming, and he picked the plesiosaur swimming trunks. Severus picked a plain green pair of swimming trunks for Harry as well, as a back up pair.

               By the time he was finished with Harry, Iris had settled on a couple pair of bathing suits herself. The first one was a light pink one-piece with white polka dots, a halter top, and a ruffled skirt appearance. The second was a two-piece mermaid bathing suit with a racerback top covered in pink, purple and teal “scales” with boyshort style bottoms that had a teal trim and more colorful scales. Severus settled on plain, dark trunks himself, and after purchasing a couple thick towels to go with the swimsuits, Severus led his kids back to the hotel, where they changed into the new bathing suits, Iris picking her pink polka dot one first and Harry his dinosaur ones. Severus cast a protective spell on Harry’s glasses. As much as he didn’t want to ruin Harry’s glasses, he wanted Harry to have full confidence learning to swim today, and he was sure having Harry take his glasses off would decrease that. When everyone was ready, Severus brought a few towels in a beach bag and led the way down to the hotel’s indoor swimming pool.

               Honestly, he wanted to see how well both kids were swimming before he let them play anywhere near the ocean. He knew Iris could doggy paddle, but it had been a while since she had been in a pool. And he had no clue where Harry stood as far as swimming capabilities, but from what he had observed of his son so far, he would say this was a first-time experience.

               At the pool, several other families were hiding from the dreary weather and spending time in the heated indoor pool and Jacuzzis. After Severus set his things down at an available chair, spreading one of the towels over the back of it, he led Iris and Harry to the steps leading down into the pool.

               “It looks deep,” Harry said, pausing at the entry.

               “This is the shallow end,” Severus said, stepping down into the pool, Iris following him eagerly. Iris leaned forward after the first step and began doggy paddling in the water after Severus.

               “Look at me, Daddy,” Iris said, swimming over to her father and grabbing his arm.

               “Very good, Iris,” Severus praised, smiling when Iris pushed off him and paddled around the pool. He turned back to Harry, who was still standing outside of the pool. Severus walked back toward the stairs a bit, holding his arms out for his son. “Come on, Harry, you can stay with me first.”           

               Harry shook his head and took a step back.

               “I won’t let you go,” Severus promised. “Not until you want me to.”

               “I don’t want to sink.”

               “I won’t let you sink. Neither will the lifeguard. See?” Severus pointed at the lifeguard who was watching them. She smiled at Harry, who offered a small smile back before looking back at his father. “You’re more than protected here. Here, take my hands.”

               Harry allowed Severus to grab both his hands and pull him down the first steps. Harry realized he could stand in the shallow area, though the water was up to his chest, but he could feel the ground beneath him, and he walked slowly after Severus, who slowly moved backward through the pool. Harry quickly realized the water was getting deeper, and he lunged forward, clinging desperately to Severus as the ground left his feet.

               “You’re okay,” Severus said softly. “I still have you. I won’t let you go.”

               “It’s too deep,” Harry said.

               “Relax and let yourself float,” Severus encouraged Harry to do.

               “Like this,” Iris said as she paddled over to Harry and her father before rolling on her back and holding her arms and legs out, floating on the water for a few seconds before flipping back over and swimming after Severus, gripping his arm for a break. “See? It’s easy.”               

               Harry just kept a firm grip on Severus and allowed himself to be pulled through the water while Iris swam back and forth between the side of the pool and her father. They spent several minutes just moving through the water, even treading through the deeper end of the pool, which Iris kept a bit closer to the rail then but did swim out toward Severus when he was close enough to one side. Harry began to relax more as Severus stayed true to his promise and kept a firm hold on Harry, and he felt himself float naturally. He allowed his legs to drift upward, kicking now and then and feeling his body become more buoyant.

Keeping a firm hold of Severus’s hands, Harry experimentally pushed back, allowing nearly his entire body to float on its own in the water.

“That’s very good, Harry,” Severus said.

“Don’t let go.”

“I’m not.”

Slowly, Harry grew more confident with floating, and finally, he let Severus’s hands go for a moment, floating on his own before pushing toward his father and grabbing his hands again. Severus challenged Harry by having his son float again and again, increasing the distance between himself and Harry each time Harry was floating. Each time, Harry would push through the water after him, wanting to grab Severus’s hands again, and the child was swimming without even realizing it.

Harry caught on when he tried to reach for Severus again after floating on his own, only to find quite a bit of distance between them.

“You’re too far,” Harry said, frantically doggy paddling.

“Keep coming to me,” Severus encouraged, swimming backward slowly. “You’re swimming, Harry.”

Harry kept paddling for Severus, realizing that he was swimming on his own, but his confidence was waning, and he hastened toward Severus, afraid he might sink soon, but Severus was still far away, which seemed weird, unless his dad was moving away from him.

“Daddy, let me come to you,” Harry pleaded.

“I am,” Severus said, finally stopping and allowing his son to catch up to him. Harry gripped his arms tightly. Severus kissed Harry’s temple and said, “That was very good, son, you had it. The more you do it, the stronger you’ll get.”

               Harry took a moment to rest his arms before he felt ready to try again.

               “I want to do it again,” Harry said, surprising Severus.

               “Okay,” Severus said, waiting for Harry to float on his own, then he backed away. Harry watched him this time, aware his father was increasing the space between them. After a moment of floating, Harry tried intentionally paddling toward Severus. Iris pushed off the ledge of the pool and joined Harry, swimming next to her brother and after Severus as well.

               Smirking, Severus continued swimming away from both kids, testing how far away Harry was willing to let him go. They made it back toward the shallow end of the pool, where Harry quicky discovered he could put his feet back down, and he did so while Iris caught up to Severus before putting her feet down.

               “Catch me, Daddy,” Iris said, climbing up the stairs and running over to one side, slowing down when a lifeguard cautioned her to walk.

               Severus moved through the water until he was across from her, and she leaped for his arms, and Severus allowed her to splash into the water before he helped her resurface. She laughed and swam for the stairs again.

               “Again, again,” Iris cheered, walking back over before jumping into Severus again.

               Intrigued, Harry followed Iris out as she demanded another turn, and he waited as she jumped in, then stepped closer to the edge, looking over at the intimidating water. Severus allowed Iris to swim to the side while he opened his arms for Harry, who hesitated for a moment before he bravely jumped in the water, and he felt his head go under for a second before Severus lifted him back up, and he spluttered slightly, adjusting his glasses, before smiling. That wasn’t too bad. It was kind of fun.

               “You are doing really well, Harry,” Severus said. “I am so proud of you.”

               Harry beamed at his father, then said, “Again!”

               The small family had a long day at the pool, eating lunch at the hotel’s restaurant before returning to the pool area for more fun and Jacuzzi time. Severus felt more confident sitting in one of the jacuzzies and watching his two kids swim in the big pool on their own, under the watchful eyes of lifeguards as well. Harry and Iris chased each other around, then played a game of Marco Polo with a few other kids.

               That evening, the family visited the beach once more, and the kids played in the tide before they chanced upon an ice cream shack along the beach, and they all enjoyed a small cone on their walk back to the hotel.

               That night, all three settled in on the double bed, and Severus read a book while his kids fell asleep quickly on either side of him. This vacation was turning into the best vacation he had ever had, and he was loving every minute with his kids. After reading a couple chapters, he set the book down and turned out the lights, moving down in the bed and wrapping an arm around both kids before falling asleep.

              

               Harry looked out the window at the beach below. The sun was shining, the sky was bright, and the waters were filled with people. It looked busy and very chaotic, but Iris was very excited to head down to the ocean at last, and she was jumping all over the place as she changed into her mermaid style bathing suit and slipped on her flip flops. Harry had wanted to wear his dinosaur swim trunks again, so Severus had cast a complete cleaning charm on it, so it was fresh for the day.

               “Iris, come here,” Severus said, sitting down on the bed and scooping out salve from a jar. Iris obediently stood in front of her father and allowed herself to be slathered up in a white cream.

               “How long are we staying at the beach?” Harry asked.

               “The rest of the afternoon,” Severus answered.

               “Can we go for just an hour?”

               “No!” Iris answered. “We are staying the afternoon, right, Daddy?”

               “Right,” Severus agreed as he rubbed the salve on Iris’s face carefully. “You will have so much fun, you won’t even notice the time, Harry. Come here, son, it’s your turn.”

               Iris hopped away from her father while Harry sighed and walked over to Severus, standing in front of Severus while the thick salve was applied to his arms, back, and chest. He made a face at the funky, moldy smell that emitted from the strange goop coating his body.

               “What is this?” Harry asked.

               “It’s sunscreen,” Severus answered.

               “It smells funny.”

               “That’s because it’s one of Dad’s potions,” Iris said, rubbing in a small spot on her shoulder.

               “This is a potion?” Harry asked as Severus began putting the smelly substance on his face, and he scrunched his nose up.

               “It is,” Severus said. “Far superior to the muggle brands. More protection with one application every twelve hours, that way, I won’t risk either of my babies getting sunburns today.”

               “It still smells funny,” Harry mumbled. “I like the muggle stuff better.”

               Severus gave Harry an affronted look as he finished rubbing the potion into Harry’s face.

               “You know, I spent hours brewing this specially for you and you tell me you’d rather have that cheap, inferior, useless muggle version?”

               “Yes,” Harry answered.

               “Why you little—” Severus tickled his son, and Harry squealed and squirmed in his grasp. After a minute, Severus released Harry and began applying the potion on himself as he told his son, “The smell fades away after a minute or two, so no need to worry about anyone else smelling it. Go get your flip flops on. Then we can head down.”

               Harry slowly slipped on his flip flops, then followed his father and Iris out of their room once Severus had his sandals on and packed his beach bag full of towels, a few snacks, and watered down juices for extra-hydration potential. Severus spelled Harry’s glasses to stay on his face in water, just so the child didn’t have them accidentally knocked off. They headed down to the beach, taking their shoes off before the sand and carrying them further down the sandy beach. There were many people with chairs and umbrellas, and Harry wondered if they were going to have anything like that when he realized Severus was heading for an umbrella that had a couple chairs under it. Harry frowned as the umbrella in question was occupied but smiled quickly when he realized why who.

               “Severus!” Tori greeted, adjusting the hat on her head, and reaching up to hug Severus. She wore a yellow sundress over her one-piece bathing suit, her stomach more pronounced in the slimming clothes. “You made it. I’m so glad you could join us today. How are you enjoying everything so far?”

               “It’s perfect, Tori, honestly,” Severus answered. “Where’s Sam?”

               Tori rolled her eyes and brushed some braids back behind her shoulder as she glanced down at the beach a bit where her two daughters were busy burying Sam’s lower half. Severus snorted and walked down toward the trio, Iris and Harry following. Samuel was completely covered in Sam from his hips the tip of his toes, and the sand was made to look like fins at the bottom. Esther and Ruth were busy finding shells and stones to decorate sand with while Samuel worked on a sandcastle at his side, adding a moat.

               “What in Merlin’s name, Samuel?” Severus asked, and Samuel looked up at Severus and grinned.

               “Oh, hey man. The girls are turning me into a mermaid. Want to join?”

               Ruth, wearing a pink two piece, and Esther, wearing a purple racerback one-piece, smiled up at Severus, who shook his head.

               “I’m going to have to pass on that one.”

               Esther moved her hands, ending with her hands near her face like claws and baring her teeth, growling at Severus.

               “She can make you a sea monster,” Samuel said at Severus’s glance, and Severus snorted.

               “Another time,” Severus said to Esther.

               “We’re going to hold you to that,” Samuel said, then jerked his head back when Esther brought a handful of sand up to his head. “Woah, what’s with the sand?”

               “Your crown,” Esther signed as she leaned forward and plopped the sand down in Samuel’s hair.

               “Oh, yes, my crown. That will be great getting out of my hair later, thank you, sweetheart,” Samuel said, only signing the “thank you, sweetheart” part to Esther. “Now how come Severus gets to be a sea monster but I’m a mermaid?”

               “You pretty mermaid,” Esther signed once more.

               “I see, well, I’m flattered.” Samuel looked back up at Severus. “I brought some drinks to enjoy but I think I’m stuck here a while longer.”

               “Daddy, make me a mermaid,” Iris said, plopping down in the sand and dragging handfuls over her leg.

               “Guess I’m not going much further either,” Severus said as he kneeled next to his daughter, pulling more sand over Iris’s legs.

               “Where’s Joshua?” Harry asked, looking around the beach.

               “He’s out with Terrell right now.” Samuel gestured out into the ocean.

               Harry scanned the waves until he saw Joshua and Terrell hanging on a surfboard way out in the water. He smiled and nearly walked out into the ocean when Severus caught his arm.

               “Wait a minute,” Severus said, frowning at his son. “I like your newfound confidence, but you just learned to swim. Let me cover Iris quick, then I can take you out, okay?”

               “But Daddy,” Harry protested, pointing at where he could still see Joshua and Terrell.

               “No need to wait,” Samuel said. He whistled sharply, looking over his shoulder. “Cela!”

               “Yeah?” the teenager responded from where she was lying on a purple surfboard in the sand, bathing in the sun a few inches away from the umbrella Tori was resting under.

               “Could you take Harry out to Terrell and Joshua and keep an eye on him?” Samuel asked.

               “Sure,” Cela responded, hoping up to her feet and lifting her surfboard. She looked a lot like a feminine version of Terrell, but with short braided hair and a slight thicker frame. She was wearing a black and pink wetsuit, and she trotted forward with her board, holding her hand out for Harry.

               “Okay, but be careful, Harry!” Severus called after them as Cela pulled Harry into the cold ocean water.

               “He’ll be fine,” Samuel said. “Cela and Terrell are practically lifeguards.”

               Cela encouraged Harry to climb on the surfboard, staying on the front-end portion while she paddled out to her brother and cousin, who were still in the water and hanging on loosely to the surfboard as they drifted with the gentler ends of the waves. Joshua was wearing green and black swimming trunks while Terrell was wearing a blue and bronze wetsuit and a strap that secured his glasses to his face.

               “Hey, little brother,” Cela said as she paused next to them, sitting up on her board. “The Snapes are here.”

               “Hi, Joshua!” Harry said with an enthusiastic wave.

               “Hi, Harry,” Joshua smiled at him. “I was wondering when Severus was going to bring you guys out here.”

               “Daddy taught me how to swim,” Harry said. “Watch this.”

               Harry carefully slid off the board and doggy paddled over to Joshua and Terrell, swimming around their board. Joshua grinned as he watched Harry with amused eyes.

               “That’s really good swimming, bud,” he said.

               Harry smiled back, but the ocean was harder to swim in than the pool was, and he felt like he was being pulled in all different directions despite trying to get to the side of the board Joshua was on, and his arms tired quickly in the water. He was about to swim back to Cela’s board when her board appeared under him as Cela pushed through the water after him, then slowly rose back up to the surface, and Harry grabbed the board as it rose under him, sitting down once it surfaced and steadied on the water.

               “Swimming’s hard work, isn’t it, Harry?” Cela asked as she sat up once more.

               Harry nodded, then looked down at the board, then at Terrell’s orange surfboard, and he frowned.

               “Where did you get the surfboards?” Harry asked.

               “They’re ours,” Terrell said.

               “They live here,” Joshua explained. He pointed back at the castle hotel in the background. “Uncle Isaiah and Aunt Imani own the castle hotel we’re all staying at.”

               “You live in the castle?” Harry asked with wide eyes. “All the time?”

               “All the time,” Cela said. “Don’t worry, you’ll get your share of castle time at Hogwarts. And you’ll love being in Gryffindor house, too, won’t you?”

               “What makes you think he’ll be a Gryffindor?” Terrell shook his head. “No way. He’s either a Ravenclaw or a Slytherin. I guarantee it. I mean, look at his dad.”

               “Yeah, but do you see his kid?” Cela quirked her brows at her brother as she pointed at Harry.

               “What about me?” Joshua asked. “What house do you think I’ll be in?”

               “Blabbermouth,” Terrell and Cela said at the same time.

               “That’s not even a real house,” Joshua said with a fake pout. “And I’m not a blabbermouth.”

               After spending time drifting with the waves, and riding a few with Cela and Terrell’s assistance, Harry and Joshua returned to land with the teens in tow, and they found Samuel, who was free of sand, and Severus sitting under the umbrella with Tori, a few more chairs propped up under the shade. Iris, Ruth, and Esther were eating snacks while sitting on towels, all three girls soaked from playing in the water. Harry quickly began explaining how brilliant surfing was to his father while Joshua talked with Terrell until the two teenagers said their goodbyes and headed back to the castle.

               After a snack and drink, Harry felt tired from his time in the ocean, and he climbed into the chair Severus was sitting in, curling up against his father and closing his eyes. He could hear the other kids running back to the ocean with new games, but he was too comfortable to join them.

               After a forty-minute nap, which Severus interrupted because he didn’t want Harry to oversleep, Harry joined Joshua in making a large sandcastle that was being attacked by an even bigger sand sea monster. Unfortunately, the entire kingdom fell, and the monster now reigned over the land.

               Finally, as evening fell upon the family, and the children were hungry once more, everyone collected their items and headed back to the castle. After washing up in their own rooms, Samuel, Tori, and the kids met up with Severus and his kids for dinner at a restaurant in town. After dinner, they walked around for a bit, exploring the stores and landscapes.

               Severus practically had to dress his kids in their pajamas that night as they clung to him half asleep, smiles still on their faces as they mumbled about all the fun things, they did that Severus might not have noticed. Once Iris and Harry laid down on the double bed, they were asleep. Severus did not think that today could have been any more perfect.

              

               Day three of their vacation had many plans, including a spa day for Severus and Iris. While Severus planned on enjoying his ninety-minute massage with Tori and then lots of time in the hot tubs, Iris, Ruth, and Esther would be given the pampered princess treatment: nails, hair, face masks, the whole shebang. And then the girls would most likely join them in the hot tubs once their nails were dry.

               Harry, on the other hand, would be joining Joshua and Samuel on a trip to a water park with large water slides to fill in the time. Severus had been asked to go to the park as well by the boys (including Samuel), but he had politely declined in favor of not losing his head tumbling down some muggle contraption. Severus had dropped Harry off at Samuel’s hotel room and then left to the spa portion of the hotel with the girls and Tori. Harry and Joshua were dressed in their swimming trunks and had a T-shirt on, but Samuel was still in nothing but a towel from his shower that morning and taking his time in the bathroom.

               “Are we going yet, Dad?” Joshua asked impatiently while Samuel stood in front of a mirror running a pick through his hair.

               “Not yet, son,” Samuel said. “I’m going to try and get more of this sand out of my hair a bit longer. I can’t seem to get the sand-out charm to work right. Don’t worry, we have several hours for park time. I have an idea, why don’t you take Harry down to the new muggle arcade Uncle Isaiah just installed? I’ll be down there in like twenty minutes.”

               Joshua crossed his arms, then sighed and said, “Fine. Come on, Harry.”

               “Don’t forget your stone,” Samuel said.

               Joshua shoved a hand in his pocket, feeling for a stone before patting his pocket securely. He led the way out of the rooms and over to the hotel’s elevator, which appeared quickly for them, and they stepped on and headed for the lobby.  

               “What stone?” Harry asked.

               “This stone,” Joshua said, pulling out a dark blue stone from his pocket. “It’s some kind of opal, I think. But Dad charmed it so when I tap it three times, he’ll know I need his help and he’ll be able to find me. And since it’s a stone, muggles aren’t suspicious if they find it on me.”

               “Cool,” Harry said.

               “I guess,” Joshua shrugged, shoving the stone back in his pocket. “Dad is just overprotective, sometimes, but I get it.”

               The boys stepped off the elevator and headed for the lobby, then took a right turn down a new hall. They quickly found themselves in the arcade room where several people were already checking out the new installments. Joshua smiled and ran ahead to one of the machines.

               “Space Invaders, my favorite!” Joshua exclaimed. “Want to play this, Harry?”

               “I don’t know,” Harry said, stepping up closer to Joshua, a bit nervous of all the people in the small space. “I’ve never played it.”

               “It’s easy, I’ll show you.” Joshua dug through his pocket for loose change and found what he was looking for. “Here, watch me. See, you move by doing this and press here to shoot at the alien invaders . . .”

               While Harry was watching Joshua play and explain the game at the same time, a sudden force slammed into Harry, and he grunted as he hit the ground, his wrist bending painfully under him.

               “Hey!” Joshua snapped, jumping away from the game and rushing to help Harry. “What is your problem?”

               Harry cried out as Joshua helped him sit up on the ground, and he cradled his wrist. When Harry looked over at who had shoved him, his eyes widened as he saw a furious looking Dudley Dursley.

 

To be continued...
Family Vacation Part 2 by krosi

Harry’s eyes widened as he crawled away a bit from the angry looking Dudley Dursley who towered above him. Joshua hooked his hands under Harry’s arms and helped pull Harry to his feet before the older child looked Harry over. Harry cradled his wrist, wincing when Joshua applied a bit of pressure at the joint, making Joshua release Harry with a sympathetic look.  

               Joshua quickly turned angry eyes toward the boy who pushed Harry.

               “What is your problem?” Joshua asked.

               “He’s my problem!” Dudley shouted, pointing an accusatory finger at Harry. “He ruined everything! He’s the reason Mum and Dad are in jail and I never get to see them anymore. He’s the reason I have to live with Auntie and move to a new school and not see my friends anymore—it’s all his fault!”

               Harry stayed quiet and kept his head down, avoiding Dudley’s eyes as he realized that maybe his cousin was right. Dudley lost his parents, and it was all because of him. Or at least what Aunt Petunia had done to him, but still, it was his fault either way. Joshua seemed to disagree.

               “You’re crazy,” Joshua snapped. He seemed to connect the dots as to who the child might be in relation to Harry. “Harry didn’t do anything wrong. It was your mum who hurt Harry.”

               “She would never!” Dudley took a step closer, his fists clenching at his sides. “She didn’t hurt anyone. Harry’s a liar and made everything up cause that’s what he does—he tells made up stories. My parents didn’t do anything wrong and now I can’t even see them. And it’s your fault!”

               Dudley stepped closer and glared at Harry, but Joshua stepped in between Dudley and Harry, glaring down at the younger child as he pushed Harry behind himself protectively.

               “Back off, kid,” Joshua warned in a low voice.

               Dudley glared up at Joshua, not the least bit intimidated. He looked past Joshua and at Harry directly. 

               “You think you can get away with this and go live happily ever after with your new family after you destroyed mine?” Dudley’s eyes flared as he narrowed them in on Harry. “You’re nothing but a freak! All you do is hurt everyone who gets near you. Only freaks hurt people they love.”

               Harry’s lower lip trembled at that.

               “Stop yelling at Harry!” Joshua yelled, slipping a hand into his pocket and tapping his finger against the opal stone three times rapidly, summoning his father. He looked around to see if any adults had noticed them, and he was glad that a few parents were starting to glance in their direction. “Harry is not a freak and if you don’t stop yelling at him—”

               “What?” Dudley challenged, glaring at Joshua. “You gonna do something about it?”

               A few adults were starting to walk their way, and the commotion was starting to attract the attention of everyone in the room.

               “I just might,” Joshua said, his own fists clenching at his side.

               “Typical,” Dudley said. “Harry’s too afraid and too weak to do anything. You won’t even face me! That’s because you know I’m right.”

               Harry remained rooted to the spot, shaking slightly and trying to breathe normally despite the tears welling in his eyes. Could Dudley be right after all? He had never wanted Aunt Petunia in jail, even after everything she had done to him. He never wanted to make Dudley lose his family. His father was always saying that it wasn’t his fault but somehow, it still felt like he was at the center of it all, and if he hadn’t been around, Dudley would still have his parents.

               “Leave Harry alone,” Joshua said. “Walk away before you get in trouble.”

               “Why would I get in trouble?” Dudley spat. “I’m not the freak!”

               “Hey,” Joshua stepped forward, only for Dudley to shove him forcefully away. Joshua stumbled back a couple steps, though managing to stay upright. He glared at the kid but then he noticed a magical change in the air around him, and he looked at Harry.

               “Leave Joshua alone!” Harry shouted, pushing his arms forward as if planning to push Dusley away without actually moving.

               There was a large pulse of energy that blasted forward and struck Dudley, throwing the child into the air and back several feet into the ball pit. There were loud gasps and everyone in the arcade froze, their eyes darting back and forth between Harry and Dudley. Joshua sucked in a breath himself at the display of magic, but he focused on Harry, who was breathing heavily and glaring at where Dudley had landed.

               “What did you do?” a feminine voice questioned.

               Harry gasped and stepped back, running into Joshua as Aunt Marge pushed her way through the crowd toward where her nephew was pulling himself out of the ball pit, shaky, but unharmed. She assisted him out of the ball pit before pointing a finger at Harry.

               “That is a devil’s spawn, right there!” Aunt Marge said. She looked at random people in the crowd. “Did you see that? Did you see what happened? He almost killed my little Dudley.”

               There was some muttering in the crowd of disbelief and people asking others if they saw exactly what happened or not. Joshua put a hand on Harry’s shoulder comfortingly as Harry was shaking slightly once more, but he wasn’t sure if he should pull Harry out of the crowd or wait for his father to get down to the arcade to take control of the growing chaos.

               A sharp whistle pierced through the murmurs and silence took hold in the arcade as everyone looked to the entrance. Joshua sighed in relief as he saw his Uncle Isaiah and Aunt Imani stepping into the arcade.

               “The arcade is temporarily closed now,” Isaiah said. “All parties not involved in this incident please exit this way. Thank you for your understanding and the arcade will reopen as soon as this matter has been resolved.”

               The crowd slowly began to exit without much complaint, though murmurs continued, that is, until they passed Imani, who discreetly touched everyone’s temple as they passed her. A dazed look fell upon everyone as they stepped outside of the arcade before they seemed to shake themselves back to reality and carry on their way as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

               “Thank you for your cooperation and understanding,” Imani said as she continued to use a single finger to touch the temple of every person in the arcade as they passed her until there was only Aunt Marge, Dudley, Joshua, and Harry left.

               “Uncle Isaiah,” Joshua began, pulling Harry into a hug, “it was an accident; he didn’t mean it.”

               “Finally, some authority,” Aunt Marge said as she spotted the uniforms the two adults were wearing. She pointed at Harry. “I’ll have you know that this child attacked my nephew unprovoked. I don’t know how he did it, but he nearly killed him. I want him removed from the premises immediately.”

               “Now, ma’am,” Isaiah began, holding up appeasing hands, “he’s a child, I doubt there was malicious intent. I would like to hear what happened from him as well as from your nephew.”

               “You don’t understand,” Aunt Marge said, “that little menace is Dudley’s freakish cousin who made up stories that landed my brother and his wife in prison. Poor Dudley has been so traumatized by the experience; I thought maybe a trip to the beach during Easter break might bring him some relief. Then this child had to show up and make his life hell once again. I will not stand for this. I demand that he is removed from Dudley’s presence before my poor nephew is traumatized more.”

               “Ma’am,” Isaiah began with an exasperated look, but Samuel ran in at that moment, dressed in trunks and a plain tee. Samuel went straight for Joshua and Harry, kneeling in front of them while Joshua began quickly filling his father in on what happened. Isaiah sighed in relief and walked over to Samuel, leaning down and whispering to him, “We just had a serious display of accidental magic. Apparently these two kids are related. You know anything about Harry’s extended family and how much they know?”

               Samuel checked Harry’s wrist briefly before standing up and looking at Aunt Marge and Dudley. He took in Aunt Marge’s furious look and Dudley’s frightened look before whispering back to Isaiah.

               “I believe there was extended family through Petunia’s husband’s side. The child may know a little if his parents indulged anything to him, but I don’t know. I’m pretty sure the aunt doesn’t know anything.”

               “Slight modification on the child then?” Imani asked. “Full erasure on the adult?”

               “Probably for the best,” Isaiah said. “Better safe than sorry that there’s no recollection of anything magical.”

               Imani nodded, then walked over to Dudley and kneeled in front of the shaken child.

               “Hey, sweetie,” Imani greeted with a soft smile. She gently touched a finger to one side of his temple before moving it to the center of his forehead. “Can you tell me what happened?”

               “What is she doing to him?” Aunt Marge asked, frowning at Imani before glancing at Samuel and Isaiah.

               “Just a slight memory modification,” Isaiah said. “Don’t worry, ma’am, she’s a Certified Obliviator.”

               “Memory what? A certified—unhand my nephew this instant!” Aunt Marge demanded as she stormed forward only to pass out from a sleeping charm Samuel hit her with. She fell to the ground but was cushioned with a charm before she hit the ground too harshly.

               “Should have done her first,” Samuel muttered.

               Dudley’s eyes widened at his aunt but Imani directed his attention back to her as she tapped the other side of his temple.

               “Can you tell me what happened between you and your cousin?” Imani asked.

               “He . . .” Dudley hesitated, blinking a couple times before frowning in thought. After a few seconds, he glared at Imani. “He pushed me into the ball pit!”

               “You didn’t happen to push him first?” Imani asked.

               “I didn’t!” Dudley declared, then he blinked as if struggling to recall something before he sheepishly said, “I pushed his friend first.”

               “You were both in the wrong.”

               “No! It’s Harry’s fault my parents are in jail for no reason.”

               “But there is a reason,” Imani told Dudley gently. She touched a finger to the center of Dudley’s forehead again, bringing forth memories of times spent with his family, including Harry’s maltreatment. “Your parents are in jail because they hurt Harry. And perhaps, they hurt you, too.”

               “They didn’t . . .” Dudley hesitated, frowning. “They never . . . they . . . they wouldn’t mean to.”

               “I’m sure they didn’t. We never mean to hurt the ones we love. But your parents never loved Harry, did they?”

               Dudley frowned, looking at his shoes before slowly shaking his head.

               “They hurt him. Didn’t they?”

               As if in a trance, flooded by hundreds of memories, Dudley slowly nodded his head, his blue eyes dazed.

               “That is why they are in jail. Not because of your cousin, but of what they did to your cousin. I know the loss is hard, and the change can be very overwhelming, but you are a strong, smart young man with so much potential. Do not let your anger control you.”

               Dudley blinked dazedly while Imani stood up and walked over to Aunt Marge. She raised her brows at her husband and Samuel.

               “What’s the plan?” she asked.

               “I think I can make accommodations for them at another hotel,” Isaiah said, “That way, we minimize run ins with each other. I have a connection to the WayStar down the road, I’m sure we can get her a room for two. Little magical aid might help, too.”

               Imani nodded her head, then waved her hand over Aunt Marge, who she assisted in sitting up carefully.

               “What happened?” Aunt Marge asked.

               “There was an incident between your nephew and his cousin,” Imani said, tapping Aunt Marge’s temple once. “A small rumble, nothing serious and no one is harmed, but dear, you fainted. I must emphasize the importance of staying hydrated while you are out and about between so many activities.”

               “Oh, yes, well, thank you,” Aunt Marge accepted help from Samuel and Imani to pull her back up to her feet. She brushed herself off before seeming to recall that Harry had pushed Dudley. “And what will you do with the delinquent who pushed my nephew so violently into the ball pit? Someone could have been injured!”

               “I think,” Isaiah said, “it best that due to the sensitive nature of this case, and with both kids deeply affected, separate hotels may be the best option for the rest of break.”

               “I agree! When can I expect him and his family to depart?”

               “You’ll be leaving, ma’am.”

               “You’re kicking me out? I paid for the best room three months ago and –”

               “Completely refunded. And I will take care of all the arrangements at the WayStar hotel just down the road from here. It boasts a lovely spa and beautiful ocean views.”

               Aunt Marge huffed and seemed to consider the compromise.

               “I suppose anywhere is better than being a hundred feet with the distance of that child. Come Dudley, we must pack while this gentleman finds us a new room at a new hotel.”

               Dudley shuffled after his aunt, sparing Harry one last confused but still reproachful look before leaving the arcade, Isaiah leading them away to the front desk.

               Samuel shook his head once the woman was out of sight.

               “The nerve of some people,” he muttered.

               “Are you okay, Harry?” Imani asked, kneeling in front of Harry and holding out a hand for his wrist. Harry let her examine his wrist. “Just a sprain. We can fix that up in a jiffy.”

               Imani waved her hand over Harry’s wrist, healing the sprain. Harry smiled at her appreciatively but didn’t say anything. Imani smiled back and stood up, allowing Joshua to continue holding Harry comfortingly.

               “I hate to see such sad children,” Imani said to Samuel.

               “That kid didn’t look very sad,” Samuel said, looking in the direction Aunt Marge and Dudley had left in.

               “He was hurting,” Imani insisted. “He just wasn’t sure how to express it.”

               “Imani,” Isaiah called out, appearing back in the doorway, “you need to fill out that paperwork before ministry officials come investigating.”

               “Yes, yes, I know. I’ll be right there. You might want to inform Severus of what happened, Sam.”

               “Of course,” Samuel said. He reached out a hand to Harry. “Come on, Harry, let’s go find your daddy.”

               Harry eagerly accepted Samuel’s hand at those words, more than ready for an embrace from his father. Joshua kept a hold of Harry’s other hand, and they walked toward the spa section of the hotel. 

                

               Severus was surprised to hear that any Dursley relatives were within a mile of his person. He sat in one of the plump chairs in the waiting room of the spa, holding his son against his chest. When the masseuse told him he had a visitor, he could only think of one visitor and was concerned that something terrible had happened, and as soon as he stepped into the waiting room, his son had latched on to him like a spider monkey. That did not ease his concerns, but then Isaiah and Samuel explained the situation, with Joshua telling the story of how it all started. He had nearly forgotten about Dudley and how the entirety of the case may affect the child, but it still gave the child no right to lash out at his son, or for that crazy aunt to say what she did. He rubbed Harry’s back soothingly.

               “I should have recognized the name when she booked her room,” Isaiah said. “It had just been another phone call and there were so many appointments, I did not put two and two together.”

               “It’s alright, you couldn’t have known,” Severus said. He adjusted Harry against him so Harry’s face wasn’t hiding in his shoulder. “How are you feeling, Harry? Better?”

               Harry shrugged, not moving off his father’s lap.

               “That’s okay. You have so many people fighting for you now, son. You didn’t deserve that in the least.” Severus carded a hand through Harry’s hair before rubbing his back once more. After a moment, Severus asked, “Do you want to stay here with me? Or do you still want to go to the water park with Samuel and Joshua?”

               “Of course, he does,” Joshua answered for Harry. “Don’t you, Harry?”

               “Joshua,” Samuel said, “maybe today isn’t a good day for the water park.”

               “But we were going to ride the Legacy of the Unsinkable?” Joshua grinned at Harry as the boy looked over at him, though he remained on Severus’s lap. “Remember? I was showing you on the pamphlet; it’s the big tube ride that takes us on a pirate adventure. We steal loot, run from a storm, then a big wave drops us from fifty feet high! It’s really fun, right, Dad?”

               “Yes, but . . .” Samuel tried to say but Joshua kept talking.

               “Harry really wanted to ride it, right, bud? We’re gonna be pirates! Arrg!” Joshua closed one eye and scrunched his face up, leaning forward to touch his forehead against Harry’s, who laughed and copied Joshua’s expression. “You want to go steal some treasure, matey?”

               “Arrg!” Harry replied playfully.

               “Let’s go steal treasure!” Joshua declared, grabbing Harry’s hand and pulling Harry off Severus’s lap and running out of the spa with Harry after him. “Come on, Dad!”

               “Joshua, wait up!” Samuel called after his son as the boys disappeared into the hall. Samuel shook his head at Severus, who had a smirk on his face. “Guess we’re off to commit grand larceny. I’ll owl the bail fees later.”

               “Thank you both for taking care of that,” Severus said, “I wouldn’t have even known where to—”  

               “We’re here for you, Severus,” Isaiah said. “You and your two munchkins.”

               Severus smiled at that.

               “Let me know if he starts to withdraw at all,” Severus said to Samuel. “He gets emotionally overwhelmed quickly.”

               “With Joshua taking lead, we might make it through the park,” Samuel said. “But I’ll let you know if we need to come home earlier.”

               “Thank you.”

               “Dad!” Joshua called out again from out in the hall.

               “Relax, Blackbeard, I’m coming,” Samuel called back, earning a chuckle from Severus and Isaiah.

               “Who?” Joshua asked.

               When Samuel left with the boys to the park, Isaiah informed Severus that ministry officials would stop by to ensure no lasting damage was done to anyone after the magical display and Imani’s need to obliviate a few minds. As Harry was a kid and the magic was accidental, the incident was unlikely to be pursued any further after the initial checkup. That gave Severus some relief and he managed to return to the spa and finish his massage before joining Tori in the hot tub, taking the chance to fill her in on what happened before the girls were finished with their princess makeover treatment.

               “From Dudley’s point of view,” Tori said, “he lost everything while Harry gained a family. It must be confusing, considering that he was the loved, spoiled child. Still, Harry didn’t need those old wounds ripped back open.”

               Severus couldn’t agree more. Harry had been improving more and more each day as he healed from the trauma of living with the Dursleys. Sure, he still had his moments, but for the most part, Harry had adjusted well to his new life with his father and sister. This experience could set Harry back emotionally, but Severus would be right there to help Harry through it.

               When the girls finished their pampered treatments, they came running over to the hot tubs Severus and Tori were in. Esther climbed in next to her mother, showing off her nails that had been spelled dry courtesy of a witch working in the spa department.

               Ruth and Iris climbed in opposite their parents and chatted away about some kind of craft they wanted to work on later. Iris quickly showed her father her braided hair and painted nails, reminding Severus of another family problem, Iris’s mother. He had not heard from Dahlia since the day she had left the morning after the kidnapping. He briefly wondered how she was doing, but he figured Dahlia would reach out again when she was ready. Iris did not seem the least bit bothered by her mother’s absence, and as long as Iris was happy with the way things were at for now, he was happy.

               After a long morning of enjoying all the spa had to offer and having lunch at a small diner in town, Severus allowed Iris to go along with Tori and her girls to a craft event being held in one of the hotel lounges. That gave Severus about two hours of peace and quiet where he managed to read a few chapters in his book and practice his occlumency for a solid twenty minutes, something that was very hard to do with children demanding his attention all day long.

               A knock at his door pulled him out of his meditative state and he opened it to find Samuel carrying a tired looking Harry while a sleepy looking Joshua leaned against his father.

               “Busy day?” Severus asked, leaning against the doorframe.

               “You could say that,” Samuel said. “We hit every ride we could—twice. And rode the Legacy of the Unsinkable three times. The boys could not get enough of that one. Harry was a little small for a couple of the rides, but he was a trooper, and we did the ones he could get on.”

               “I’m glad to hear,” Severus said. He took Harry from Samuel, allowing his son to nuzzle into the crook of his neck. “Maybe a light dinner and an early bedtime.”

               “Same for this one,” Samuel whispered, covering Joshua’s ears.

               Joshua gave his father an annoyed look but didn’t argue against the idea. Samuel chuckled and wished Severus a goodnight as he led his son to their own hotel room. Severus closed the door and carried Harry over to the bed, lying his son down. It was nearing four in the afternoon, so he figured if he gave Harry a bath now, they could eat dinner after, then do something quiet until Harry inevitably fell asleep. Iris would be back after dinner, so Severus only had to worry about his son, and Severus figured he could order room service to make things easier on Harry.

               Severus drew a bath for Harry in the large tub, filling it with bubbles and making sure it was nice and warm. He cast a charm to keep everything static while he collected Harry for the bath. Harry was nearly asleep when Severus gently shook his shoulders.

               “Harry, I need you to wake up a little,” Severus said, sitting on the edge of the bed while Harry slowly sat up and rubbed his eyes with a yawn. Then, he fell into Severus limply, wrapping his arms around his father and snuggling into his shoulder. Severus chuckled as he pushed Harry back into an upright position. “I know you’re tired, but you need to take a bath first, then eat a little food before you can go to sleep, alright?”

               “I don’t want a bath,” Harry muttered.

               “Bath is nonnegotiable I’m afraid. You haven’t had one since we got to this hotel. Your sister will be taking one, too, as soon as she gets back, so let’s get yours out of the way.”

               “No. I’m too tired.” Harry leaned into his father again, wrapping his arms around his father’s neck. “I was at a water park, too, so I’m clean.”

               “Nice try. Come on, Harry, a quick bath and you’ll be back in bed with some room service waiting for you. Then you can sleep all you want.”

               Severus tried to pry Harry’s arms from around his neck, but Harry only tightened his grip on Severus’s shoulders when Severus nearly succeeded in pulling Harry away. Harry whined agitatedly but Severus was not having any of it. He finally managed to pull Harry off his person and set his son down on the floor in front of him, but Harry quickly relatched himself to his shoulders. Severus sighed, biting back his annoyance at Harry’s persistence.

               “Harry, please, stop. I want to get this over with as much as you already want it to be done.”

               “I don’t want a bath,” was all Harry said, though a little more firmly.

               “As I’ve said, its nonnegotiable.”

               Severus once more reached up to pull Harry’s arms off him, only this time, he was met with a strong, burning sensation, and he forcibly ripped away from Harry as he cried out in pain and shock, startling Harry who stared at him wide-eyed for a moment before his lower lip trembled and his eyes watered.

               Severus stood up and pulled his shirt off, pausing in front of the vanity table with the mirror as he turned to see his back. As he suspected, two burns in the shape of Harry’s small hands marked his shoulders, and he hissed slightly as he reached around to brush the edge of one mark, swearing in his head at the pain. Harry was openly sobbing out apologies now, but Severus knew Harry had not meant to cause the burns. After today’s events and his poor child’s tired state, it was no surprise his magic was slipping up a bit more tonight.

               “I’m sorry, Daddy!” Harry cried. “I didn’t mean it!”

               “I know, Harry, it was accidental magic.” Severus summoned a burn salve from his emergency first aid kit he had in his suitcase. He opened the jar and scooped up a small amount, applying it to what he could reach.

               Harry saw what Severus was doing after rubbing his eyes under his glasses, and he ran forward and climbed up the chair, standing on it and reaching for the jar Severus was holding. Severus sighed and allowed Harry to take the jar, knowing his son would be able to reach the burn marks better than he could. Harry’s hands trembled and he still sniffled, but he dutifully applied the salve until the burns disappeared. When the burns were gone, Harry lowered his head and sniffed.

               “Did I make it better?” Harry asked.

               “I’m okay, Harry,” Severus said, glancing at his back in the mirror once last time and stretching his shoulders briefly. “You did a very good job.”

               “I am a freak,” Harry said softly, crying softly again.

               “What? No, you are not. Why would you say something like that?” Severus turned around to face his son, tilting the boy’s chin up to see Harry’s face.

               “Dudley said only freaks hurt people they love,” Harry explained. “I didn’t mean to hurt you, Daddy, I didn’t mean it. I wasn’t trying to.”

               “I know,” Severus used his thumbs to wipe away the tears trailing down Harry’s face. “It was accidental magic. You were forgiven the second it happened. You had a very busy day and a rough morning; you usually have accidental spells after days like that. It is completely normal. It doesn’t make you a freak.”

               “I didn’t mean to hurt anyone. I hurt Dudley.”

               “That was accidental magic, too. It reacted in defense of Joshua, remember?”

               “No.” Harry shook his head. “I hurt him before that. I made him lose his parents.”               

               “You did not. His parents made bad choices that forced them to leave their son. They hurt Dudley, not you.”

               “They wouldn’t hurt him.”

               “Not in the same ways that they hurt you, but they still hurt Dudley by breaking the law and putting themselves in jail. That was not your fault.” Severus picked up his son off the chair and sat down in it, holding Harry close. “Listen to me, Harry. You are not responsible for anyone’s behavior but your own. You did make Petunia act the way she did toward you. You did not make her feel no love for you. You did not make her decide that hurting you was okay. It is not your fault that she had to go to jail. Or your uncle for that matter. And you still have an underdeveloped magical core that acts up sometimes, in ways we can never predict. You did not mean to throw Dudley across the room. And you did not mean to hurt me.”

               One last tear trailed down Harry’s cheek and Severus wiped it away with his thumb before kissing his son’s temple.  

               “None of what happened with the Dursleys is your fault. Dudley should not have lashed out at you because he was angry and sad about what his parents did. You are not a freak, Harry. You are a very good, caring, and forgiving child. It was not your fault. Can you say that, Harry?”

               “It’s not my fault.”          

               “What wasn’t your fault?”

               “What happened to Aunt Petunia or Uncle Vernon.” Harry hesitated, then added, “Or Dudley.”

               “Good. And you are not what?”

               Harry hesitated again, meeting his father’s eyes before saying, “A freak.”

               “Very good. One day, I hope you come to truly believe those words, but I will remind you of them as often as you need me to.”

               Harry leaned into his father, hesitantly wrapping his arms around Severus, only for his father to pull him into a tight embrace. They remained like that for a minute before Severus patted his son’s back.

               “Do you think you’re ready for your bath now?”

               Harry nodded and allowed his father to carry him to the bathroom this time. The bath was still warm, and the bubbles were just at the rim, and Harry found himself enjoying the warm water on his tired muscles and he played a little with the bubbles but mostly allowed his father to help him wash up. After fifteen minutes, he was ready to get out of the tub and dried off, and he changed into pajamas while his father ordered them a light dinner. The food came quickly, and Harry ate a little bit while excitedly telling Severus about all the slides he went on with Joshua and Samuel and how he even raced them down slides lying on a mat, and he won.

               After eating, the lights in the room were dimmed, and Harry curled up next to Severus in bed and listened as Severus read aloud from a book. It wasn’t the most interesting to a six-year-old mind; something about plants and their magical properties for potion usage, but Harry loved listening to his father’s deep, rich voice, and that alone sent him drifting off to sleep.

               When Harry fell asleep, Severus read silently to himself as he waited for Iris to arrive from dinner. A knock at the door announced their arrival, and after a quick glance at Harry to see him still sleeping, Severus opened the door to his room and Iris ran in, slowing down at the sight of Harry sleeping in bed.

               “Bye, Iris,” Tori said. She laughed softly when Iris turned back around and whispered, “Shh, Harry’s sleeping.”

               “How was your time with Tori and the girls?” Severus asked.

               “I had a lot of fun, Daddy,” Iris answered.

               “Did you thank Tori for taking you with her to the crafts event?”

               “Thank you, Tori.”

               “You’re welcome, sweetie,” Tori said before meeting Severus’s eyes. “How’s Harry?”

               “We had a bit of an emotional return from the park, but we talked, and I think after some sleep, he might feel better in the morning.”

               Tori gave Severus a sympathetic look before bidding him goodnight and Severus closed the door and ushered his daughter to the bathroom for her bath, keeping it quiet for Harry’s sake. Iris played in the bubbles a lot longer than Harry did, chatting away about all the fun crafts she did that Tori held on to while waiting for them to dry. She couldn’t wait to show Severus what they were.

               After her bath, Severus and Iris curled up next to each other and softly read from one of Iris’s books, taking turns reading every few pages until Iris started nodding off. Severus took over reading until he was sure Iris was asleep before he bookmarked the mage and set the book aside. He adjusted his kids on either side of him carefully before deciding to retire early himself, seeing how Harry would most likely be up at the crack of dawn.

               While this vacation had offered some unexpected surprises, it still was turning out to be one he would never forget. And he hoped his kids were making fond memories themselves.

 

To be continued...
Family Vacation Part 3 by krosi

The weather station on the muggle television revealed that a storm had taken a sudden change in direction overnight and would not leave Cornwall until later that night, far past the time Severus would prefer his kids in bed. It was pouring outside right now, the waves rough and choppy, the sky a dreary grey, and Harry and Iris wore very sad faces.

               “No more ocean?” Iris asked.

               “Not today,” Severus answered.

               “Now what do we do?” Harry asked.

               “Don’t worry,” Severus said as he picked up the hotel phone and dialed Tori’s room number. “There is plenty to do inside and we’ll have just as much fun.”

               Severus paused as he waited for the other end to pick up.

               “Tori? Yes, I just saw the news, the weather isn’t looking to change . . . Upset, and will probably go stir crazy if we don’t find things to do . . . Oh? . . . Tonight? Isn’t that good news? What are we supposed to do until then?” Severus chuckled at whatever Tori said on the other line, then said, “Alright, we’ll be down shortly.”

               Severus hung up the phone, then smiled at the curious looks his kids were giving him.

               “What’s happening tonight?” Iris asked.

               “You’ll find out tonight,” Severus said. “Right now, it’s time for breakfast.”

               “I don’t want breakfast,” Harry said moodily as he took a couple puffs of his inhaler before following his father to their door. “Are we meeting up with Tori?”

               “We are meeting them for breakfast. Imani has made something very special in the kitchen. I think you’ll like it.”

               “Does she make all the food?” Iris asked, taking her father’s hand as they walked to the elevator. “For the whole hotel?”

Harry grabbed his father’s other hand and looked up at him as he waited for an answer.

               “She makes the majority of it,” Severus answered as they stepped on to the elevator. When the doors closed and it was just him and his kids, he added, “With a little magical aid, of course. She’s quite gifted in charms, and practically runs the kitchens alone.”

               “Can I learn charms to do that?” Harry asked.

               “When you’re older. And hopefully, you’ll want to learn charms for something other than kitchen work.”

               Downstairs in the hotel restaurant, Severus and his kids joined Tori and Samuel at their table with their kids already running around at the buffet style set up. It was a South African themed breakfast with eggs, bacon, boerewors, fried tomatoes, fried plantains, rusks with tea, and much more. Severus was impressed with how much there was available, and several guests were taking part in the food. Harry and Iris quickly ran over to the food stations to grab plates and serve themselves alongside Ruth and Joshua. Tori assisted Esther in picking out what she wanted. Severus took his jacket off and served himself, keeping an eye on his kids to make sure they didn’t go crazy piling food on their plates.

               Finally, everyone sat down at the table and dug into their food. Severus had served himself an easy helping of rusks with tea, with just a touch of eggs and fried tomatoes. He glanced at Iris’s dish, glad to see she had a good helping of tomatoes and plantains, along with pastries and boerewors. She had a cup of orange juice to wash everything down. Then, Severus glanced at Harry’s plate and snorted softly.

               “What did you do, take a sample of everything?” Severus asked.

               Harry nodded as if it was no big deal, nibbling on the bacon first. He had a small scoop of everything from the buffet, and a couple pastries teetering on the edge of his plate. He also had a cup of orange juice to wash all the food down.

               “That a boy!” Samuel praised from across the table, his plate piled in a similar manner.

               “You are not going to eat all of that,” Severus said.

               “Don’t discourage him,” Samuel said. “You got this, Harry. Tuck in.”

               “What’s this?” Harry asked, scooping up a small amount of thick brown pudding like material.

               “See, you don’t even know what everything is,” Severus said, frowning at the food.

               “Sorghum pudding,” Samuel answered. “Good stuff. Give it a try.”

               Harry put the pudding in his mouth, smacking his lips inquisitively, his face not betraying whether he liked it or not. He looked up at his father, then scooped up more and offered it to Severus.

               “You try, Daddy,” Harry said.

               “No, you eat it. I have my own breakfast.”

               “I want you to try it.”

               “I don’t like sorghum pudding.”

               “How do you know if you don’t try it?”

               Severus chuckled as he recalled saying those same words to Harry. However, he was not feeling very adventurous and was not interested in the chunky pasty looking food. He’d much rather stick to his simple palate.

               “I’m good, Harry,” Severus said, pushing the spoon Harry was holding out to him back towards Harry. “Eat your own food. I’ll stick with mine.”

               Harry opened his mouth as if he would eat what was on the spoon, then at the last minute, while Severus had still been talking, Harry spun the spoon around and shoved the pudding into Severus’s mouth.

               Almost instantly, Severus cringed and had to put a hand over his mouth as he felt a wave of nausea hit him as the goopy mess melted on his tongue, coating it in an earthy, semi-sweet flavor that he wasn’t exactly fond of. He wasn’t sure if he could bring himself to swallow it and he scrunched his face up in disgust as he fought to keep whatever he had in his stomach down, his eyes watering from the effort.

               Tori laughed at Severus’s reaction while Samuel smirked. The other kids at the table chuckled softly as they watched Severus’s expression.

               “Breathe through it, Severus,” Samuel said.

               “Are you okay?” Tori asked.

               Severus took a deep breath as he willed himself to force down the sticky substance, finding all the willpower not to upchuck it. He couldn’t even be too upset at Harry as he had used that trick on Harry to get potions into the child. Oh, how karma was cruel. He managed to swallow the pudding then picked up his tea and chugged it to get rid of the horrible flavor. He glanced down at his son.

               Harry was giving him an innocent look as he held up another scoop of the pudding, but he lowered it and asked, “You don’t like it?”

               “I do not,” Severus said as he glared at the offending food.

               Harry hesitated, then said, “I like it,” before promptly putting a spoonful of the pudding in his own mouth.

               The table erupted into laughter once more while Severus rolled his eyes, grabbing his teacup and standing up.

               “I’m glad,” Severus said dryly. “I’m going to get myself more tea.”

               Everyone returned to enjoying their food, and while Harry did not manage to eat everything on his plate, he surprised Severus by eating a few bites of every item, finding everything to be to his liking. After breakfast, there was a movie showing in the theater room for all guests to watch if they desired, and as it was a kids’ movie, all guests with children attended. Severus, Tori and Samuel sat in the back with other adults while the kids took seats on the floor and in the very first few rows in front of the big screen, and The Flight of the Navigator played with subtitles, an accommodation Isaiah made sure to add upon learning his niece was deaf, even if she couldn’t read well yet.

               At some point, Harry and Esther dozed off, falling asleep against Joshua, who adjusted Harry against him so he was lying against his shoulder while Esther’s head rested in his lap, that way he could comfortably finish watching the movie. Tori and Severus came to Joshua’s rescue and lifted the sleeping children off him once the movie was over. Both kids stirred and were wide awake once more, ready for the next activity.

               Iris received her artwork back that she had worked on last night, and she gifted it to Severus. It was a finger-painted picture of the beach, and Severus promised to hang it in his study once they got back home, which made Iris beam proudly.

               Isaiah and Imani turned a conference room across from the arcade into a game room for the day, and several classic board, card, and floor games littered the room. Children played several games of charades, Mouse Trap, Monopoly, Cleudo, and several card games. Harry and Iris managed to get tangled up in a game of Twister, and they fell on top of each other laughing when Iris was supposed to place her left hand on red but couldn’t figure out a way to get around her brother. After that, Joshua and Harry played a few levels of Super Mario Bros. in the arcade, Joshua assisting Harry briefly when he struggled on certain parts, keeping them both alive through much of the game.

               “Who wants to go swimming?” Tori asked when everyone seemed to have worn out the options in the game room and arcade.

               “Me!” Everyone cheered, and the families returned to their hotel rooms to change into swimsuits.

               At the indoor pool, the kids played many water games, including Marco Polo, tag, and cannonball contests. Joshua managed to convince his father to play chicken against Severus and Harry, but Joshua could not find the will to knock Harry down and allowed himself to be pushed off his father’s shoulders. Iris and Ruth were up next and both girls tried their best to knock the other off only for Severus and Samuel to allow them both to fall back into the water. When Esther wanted a turn, Tori reappeared from collecting drinks for the family, and she put an end to that kind of play and scolded her husband and Severus for encouraging it. All the kids laughed at their fathers’ abashed faces.

               Everyone exited the pool for a drink of juice for the kids, and wine for the adults, save Tori who drank a fruity non-alcoholic drink. After everyone was rehydrated, more water games ensued for an hour before the children seemed tired.

               Lunch was lighter than breakfast, with a salad bar, sandwiches and veggie wraps, and a variety of soups to choose from. Severus carried his kids back to their hotel room, where he magically dried them off and had them change into pajamas, then they settled in bed and fell asleep listening to Severus read from one of his potion journals. While they napped, Severus cast a few charms in the room, then snuck out of the room and sought out Tori and Samuel in the theater room. He took the empty seat next to Samuel.

               “Think your kids will sleep through the whole movie?” Samuel asked.

               “I doubt it,” Severus answered honestly. “What’s showing?”

               “A View to a Kill,” Samuel answered. “Yeah, I doubt our kids will stay down for long. Joshua’s babysitting if they do wake up. He’s watching football on the tv right now while his sister’s nap.”

               “Let me guess,” Severus smirked. “Too old for naps?”

               “He was too old the minute he turned three,” Tori chuckled.

               “I have a few charms on the room, one will alert me the moment one or both of them wake up, but hopefully I’ll be able to see the whole thing.”

               “It’s nice to have a few minutes of child free time. Isaiah planned this day perfectly.”

               “I agree.”

               Sometimes, Karma was kind, and Severus was able to enjoy the two-hour long movie before his wand alerted him to his kids waking up in the room. He left before the subtitles came on, but he had managed to get the gist of the ending, and he returned to his hotel room just in time to see Harry and Iris slipping out of the bed.

               As the weatherman had said, it was still raining outside, though it had settled from a pour to a drizzle. Regardless, their plans for the evening were inside. After baths and an hour of quiet time (which consisted of Iris reading silently to herself, Harry watching a dinosaur show on the TV, and Severus browsing through a couple potion journals), it was time to head downstairs once more, to a surprise that Isaiah and Imani had managed to pull off. Severus led the way to where Tori had told him to go, and he paused in front of a marked closet.

               “We’re going into a storage closet?” Iris asked with a disbelieving face, a pout starting to form as she crossed her arms.

               “That’s simply show for the muggles,” Severus said, opening the door to reveal an ordinary storage closet full of boring cleaning supplies and extra towels and blankets. He closed the door, tapped his finger on the brass knob three times, then opened it again, and this time, it revealed a long, candlelit hallway.

               “Whoa!” Harry and Iris said at the same time. They shared an amazed look. “That’s brilliant.”

               “After you,” Severus said, gesturing for his kids to step through. Harry and Iris ran inside, and Severus closed the door behind him, tapping his finger on the knob once again to restore the image for muggles. Harry and Iris slowly followed the hallway, glancing back at Severus now and then for confirmation as they carried on, excited for what might be ahead.

               At the end of the hallway was a large room where several wizards and witches were enjoying appetizers, games, dancing, and even art. There were several round tables for families to sit and browse a menu, and several people were already eating. A few stalls lined the opposite wall, hosting magic face painting, wizard candy, a small petting zoo, and a kiosk selling streamers, fireworks, and other trinkets. Imani was assisting families with their food and orders while Isaiah worked a muggle DJ set in the far back of the room, playing the music at a moderate noise. Terrell and Cela were giving young kids rides on broomsticks, nearly touching the very high ceiling.

               “This is amazing!” Iris squealed. “What should we do first? Daddy, can I get my face painted, please? Oh, can I get a streamer? I want to dance on the floor, too, come dance with me!”          

               Iris grabbed Severus’s hand and tried to drag him toward the DJ stand.

               “Hold up, Iris, we have plenty of time to do everything. Let’s find the others first.”

               “I see them!” Iris said, leading the way toward Samuel and Tori’s table, where the two were talking softly to each other while Esther fussed over her dinner, antsy in her seat.

               “Hi, Tori!” Iris greeted enthusiastically. “Where’s Ruth?”

               “Getting her face painted,” Tori answered, a grin on her face. “Why don’t you go join her?”

               “Daddy, can I?” Iris asked, looking up at her father with big, brown eyes.

               “Alright, but I do expect you to sit down and eat dinner at some point, deal?” Severus quirked a brow at his daughter.

               “Deal!” Iris agreed before running over to the face painting stall with another squeal.

               Severus chuckled as he watched her run away, then looked down at Harry, who seemed hesitant to explore the large, slightly crowded room.

               “Would you like to eat some dinner first?” Severus asked.

               Before Harry could answer, Joshua sprinted over, grabbing Harry’s hand and talking a mile a minute.

               “Harry, you won’t believe it! There’s a baby dragon at the petting zoo! You have to come see, come see, come on!”

               “A baby what?” Harry asked, but he allowed Joshua to pull him in the direction of the petting zoo before both boys ran over to it.

               “Okay, then,” Severus said, turning back toward Tori and Samuel, “I’ve officially lost my kids.”

               “They’ll come eat when they’re ready,” Tori said. “You can’t force them. Clearly.”

               She gestured to Esther, who was smashing her dinner with her fork in protest. Tori caved and freed her daughter from her booster seat and set her down, allowing the little girl to take off running into the chaos of children.

               “You know she’s going straight to Honeydukes’ Samplers,” Samuel told his wife.

               “Then maybe someone should go watch her sugar intake,” Tori shot back, smiling at her husband.

               Samuel sighed and threw his hands up in defeat, standing up and following his daughter. Severus chuckled as he sat across from Tori.

               “Plan on joining the festivities?” Severus asked.

               “Oh no,” Tori said, shaking her head as she stirred her tea. “Baby Jem’s not feeling up to doing much right now. Maybe dancing a bit later, but Mama needs some alone time from her crazy crew. How about you? Plan on getting your face painted?”

               “Absolutely not,” Severus said. “Nor do I look forward to getting magic paint off her face later.”

               “There’s a cleansing spell for it.” Tori smirked. “Just be sure to talk to the artist before you leave tonight.”          

               Meanwhile, Harry followed Joshua over to the petting zoo with a frown on his face. He still wasn’t sure if he had heard Joshua correctly, but he was excited to see what animals were at the petting zoo regardless. At the stall, several exotic owls waited in bird cages, grooming their feathers. A spectacled owl, an owl with brown plumage and white markings around its eyes that resembled glasses, looked down at Harry and Joshua and let out a deep, pulsating hoot. Harry smiled up at the bird before looking at the handler running the stall.

               “Hi, sir,” Joshua greeted enthusiastically. “Can you show my friend the dragon?”

               “Of course,” the man said, reaching under the stall covering and pulling out a cage. He slipped on arm length dragon hide gloves before opening the cage and offering his hand toward. A cat-sized green dragon slithered up his arm, resting comfortably on the glove while the handler fed it a piece of raw lamb he pulled from an ice box. The dragon crunched on it before allowing the handler to place a muzzle over its snout.

               “Here he is, gentlemen,” the handler said, squatting so Joshua and Harry could admire the dragon. The dragon blinked at the boys with yellow eyes, unfazed by their presence. It had a scaly green back with oversized leathery wings and a long snout with a couple snaggle teeth.

               Joshua stroked the back, and that encouraged Harry to reach out a hand to pet the dragon, his hand feeling the roughness of the dragon’s scales before gently touching the strong, leather-like wings. The green dragon reminded Harry of his dinosaur toy, Spikes, and he couldn’t take his eyes off the beautiful beast. It was so stunning and breathtaking.

               “What’s his name?” Harry asked.

               “Bronwen,” the handler said.

               “He’s so pretty! Why does he have a muzzle on?”

               “So he doesn’t bite anyone,” the handler said. “His kind are actually very docile, so they do not have a tendency to act aggressively toward humans, but better safe than sorry, especially with kids involved.”

               “How old is he?”

               “He’ll be fourteen weeks this Saturday.”

               “How big will he get?”

               “Bigger than this room.”

               “Whoa!”

               Harry asked question after question, wearing out the poor handler while continuing to pet the dragon, amusing Joshua who was silent for a change as he listened to Harry’s questions and the handler’s feedback. Finally, the handler removed the muzzle and allowed the dragon to go back in his cage with another bite of lamb. A few other children appeared and listened in as well, petting the dragon too.  

               “Now, who wants to see a baby hippogriff?” the handler asked.

               “Me!” cheered seven children.

               The handler chuckled as he stepped into the back of the stall, disappearing behind a curtain before he led a pony-sized hippogriff out into the open, and it tugged excitedly on the rope as it curiously stared at all the children.  

               “Now, children,” the handler said, “before you can pet him, you must all bow to him to show him that you respect him, and you mean no harm. So, copy me. Let’s all bow.”

               The handler bowed to the hippogriff and all the children copied him, a couple peeking up at the baby animal to see its reaction. The baby eyed everyone before it bowed in return, loving the attention it was receiving. The handler cheered and fed the baby a mouse, and it happily swallowed the treat, earning several “ewws” from the kids. They all took turns petting the hippogriff, and everyone asked questions as they each got to feed the baby a mouse, to the disgust of some and the amusement of others. Finally, the handler said the baby needed a break, and he led the baby back behind the curtain.

               “Pretty brill, huh?” Joshua asked Harry as he walked with him toward the Honeydukes’ Samplers. He picked out two chocolate frogs and handed Harry one, who gladly accepted it.

               “I loved the dragon. He was just like Spikes.”

               “Yeah, he was. Hey, you want a sparkler?” Joshua asked even as he grabbed one from another kiosk. “Give it a flick to get it started.”

               Harry had opened the chocolate frog and was waiting for it to stop moving. Once the chocolate was still, he took a bite of the frog’s head and flicked his wrist, and the sparkler in his hand came alive in a fiery show, and he smiled at it as he ate the chocolate. They walked around the room, admiring kids playing with streamers—which were long ribbon like threads that left a reddish magical trail behind the user. The trails would slowly fade away, but it lingered long enough to reveal patterns the kids drew in the air. They passed the face painting stall where kids were getting magically animated images painted on their skin. One boy asked for a snake to wrap around his arm, and once it was painted, the red and blue snake slithered around his arm briefly before going still once more.

               They ran into Iris and Ruth here, and the girls stopped in front of the boys.

               “Do you like it?” Iris asked Harry, tilting her head so Harry could see the butterflies painted on her cheek.

               “They’re cool,” Harry said. “What do they do?”

               “Watch.” Iris made a duck face and the butterflies fluttered around, flying toward her eye then around her cheek before landing in their inanimate pose.

               “What’s yours do?” Joshua asked his sister, and Ruth pointed at upper arm where a beautiful rose was painted. She brushed her fingers against the rose, and one by one the petals fell off the flower, falling down her arm and disappearing in a crumble of sparkly dust. Then, the rose regrew the petals. “That’s awesome, actually.”

               Ruth smiled at her brother’s praise.

               With most of the kids back together, they relocated to their parents’ table and sat down, ready for something to munch on. The girls showed off their paintings to their parents respectively. Tori awed over Ruth’s while Severus was reminded that he needed to talk to the artist before she left on how to remove the paint later. Severus ordered Iris and Harry fish and chips, taking Harry’s sparkler, and blowing it out for now. Iris ate quickly before taking off with Ruth to find streamers for themselves to dance with. Tori was busy talking to Imani and Samuel was playing around at the DJ stand while Isaiah watched amused. Severus was fiddling with a puzzler trinket Joshua had left behind at the table while Harry nibbled at his food as he thought back to the dragon.

               “Daddy, can I have a baby dragon?” Harry asked.

               “Absolutely not.”

               “What about a baby hippogriff?”

               “No. And no exotic owls, and no other pets. Where would you keep them anyway when they were full grown?”

               “In my room,” Harry said as if it was the most obvious conclusion.

               “How very accommodating. What about Spikes? He’d have no room for himself.”

               Harry frowned. How could he forget about Spikes? Spikes needed space and playtime too, just like any other pet. But he was sure he could handle all of them. He would be a responsible dinosaur-dragon-hippogriff handler.

               “I could train the dragon and the hippogriff and Spikes to all get along in my room,” Harry said.

               “I’m sure you could, but let’s stick with Spikes for a while longer, all right?”

               Harry pouted, but he was sure he wouldn’t be able to change Severus’s mind, so he let the subject drop. At that moment, Esther came leaping over, waving her hands at Harry.

               “Come dance,” Esther signed before moving to the beat.

               “How can you hear it?” Harry asked while pointing at his ear and frowning at Esther, hoping to get the message across as he wasn’t sure how to sign the question.

               “Follow me,” was Esther’s answer.

               Harry pushed his food away and followed Esther out to the dance floor where she squatted down and placed her hands on the floor. Harry studied her before copying what she was doing. The floor vibrated to the beat of the music, the heavy base pulsating through Harry’s arms.

               “You can feel it,” Harry said.

               Esther slowly stood, dragging her hands up her body before jumping up and down.

               “You can feel it all the way up to your head,” Harry concluded while Esther danced around him. The music changes suddenly, courtesy of Samuel, and Iris and Ruth ran over to Harry, already doing a few steps. Several other kids and adults stepped out onto the dance floor.

               “Come on, Harry,” Iris encouraged her brother when he began to back away.

               “I don’t know how to dance,” Harry said.

               “You don’t have to. It’s the electric slide. Everyone’s doing it. Just copy me.”

               Harry watched Iris’s footwork before attempting the first few steps. Joshua joined at his other side, Esther copying his moves. Soon, Harry was dancing along with everyone to the music, and he was smiling the whole way, and Severus watched his kids have the time of their lives from the table before Tori and Samuel managed to drag him out to the floor, forcing him to partake in the dance.

               The night ended with several very tired kids that night.

               All good things come to an end, and the last couple days of their vacation was full of sunny beach days and tours of Cornwall. Iris and Harry pouted as they were bucked into their car seats, and they stared at the castle longingly, already missing it.

               “Can’t we stay one more day?” Iris asked, cuddling her doll close.

               “Afraid not. Break is coming to an end, you know.”

               “But I don’t want to leave.”

               “I know. We’ll be back, I promise.”

               “Really?” Harry asked. He adjusted Spikes in his lap. “When?”

               “Maybe this summer,” Severus said. “We’ll see.”

               “We’ll see you back home, Severus,” Tori said as she walked by Severus’s car to her own, her kids running ahead of her. “I hope the vacation was perfect.”

               “It was, Tori. The kids don’t want to leave.”

               Iris and Harry shook their heads.

               “Aw, I’m glad they had fun.” Tori smiled at them. “Now you guys can enjoy the road trip back.”

               “About that, they did not really enjoy it on the way here,” Severus said.

               “The first time is never easy,” Tori said, smirking at Severus. “They’ll get used to the rides the more you do it.”

               “Their behavior the first time makes me want to do less.”

               Tori laughed out loud at that.

               “Hang in there, Severus.” She patted his shoulder mockingly before pointing a finger at the kids in the backseat of the car. “Behave for your daddy, you two.”

               “Yes, Tori,” Iris and Harry answered sweetly.

               Tori bid them goodbye, and Severus closed the door to the backseat and climbed in the front. He spared the castle one last glance himself, smiling at the many memories he had created with his kids, and he hoped his kids carried those memories for many years to come.                       

                        

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3645