Portended Prophecies by WiCeBa
Summary: “The Ministry takes a vested interest in ensuring our young witches and wizards are as safe as we can make them and you, dear boy, are very important to Minister Fudge.” Professor Umbridge said, simpering in a self-satisfied way as she said Fudge’s name. “So I must ask you where you’ve been this last August?”

Harry coughed into his tea and nearly spilled it over himself.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Bellatrix, Draco, Dumbledore, Eileen Prince, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Luna, Molly, Remus, Ron, Sirius, Umbridge, Voldemort
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Deaged!Harry
Takes Place: 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: Namesake Necklace
Chapters: 22 Completed: No Word count: 124176 Read: 25266 Published: 19 Feb 2021 Updated: 01 Mar 2024
Story Notes:
This is the second part of the larger Namesake Necklace story. It takes place two days after Namesake Necklace ends, though the small one-shot stories fill in the gaps between the penultimate chapter of NN and the epilogue.

1. Chapter 1 by WiCeBa

2. Chapter 2 by WiCeBa

3. Chapter 3 by WiCeBa

4. Chapter 4 by WiCeBa

5. Chapter 5 by WiCeBa

6. Chapter 6 by WiCeBa

7. Chapter 7 by WiCeBa

8. Chapter 8 by WiCeBa

9. Chapter 9 by WiCeBa

10. Chapter 10 by WiCeBa

11. Chapter 11 by WiCeBa

12. Chapter 12 by WiCeBa

13. Chapter 13 by WiCeBa

14. Chapter 14 by WiCeBa

15. Chapter 15 by WiCeBa

16. Chapter 16 by WiCeBa

17. Chapter 17 by WiCeBa

18. Chapter 18 by WiCeBa

19. Chapter 19 by WiCeBa

20. Chapter 20 by WiCeBa

21. Chapter 21 by WiCeBa

22. Chapter 22 by WiCeBa

Chapter 1 by WiCeBa
“Harry?”



Hermione’s soft voice echoed through the bathroom. “Dinner’s half over, do you want me to get Sn—” She stopped short. “Madam Pomfrey, I mean?”



Harry sniffled and flicked his wrist over to check his watch.



Nausea cramped along his stomach and sweat dripped down his forehead again. His knees already ached from kneeling on the dusty stone floor. He didn’t know what he’d caught, or why he was so sick. He half wondered if Malfoy had somehow slipped him something, but he hadn’t even seen the ferret yet.



He’d been back to fifteen for all of two days and it was already going poorly. The pendant on his mum’s necklace swung forward and clinked against the porcelain.



“Or I could save you a plate?” Hermione said, her voice ringing with concern. “If you think it’s passing?”



He didn’t think he remembered her being this worried about him being sick in the toilet before, or, maybe he did. He’d thrown up when he’d arrived back in first year, but she hadn’t really known him at the time. She mothered him at the start of term since then, the only difference now was that Harry had Snape and Hermione sounded as if she was itching to get him.



Harry was nearly certain he’d just caught a stomach bug though. Snape couldn’t stop the flu.



“It’s fine,” He answered back, keeping his voice soft in case anyone else was in the bathroom. He couldn’t remember hearing anyone when he’d entered, but given the dirty looks he’d received upon entering the Great Hall, he wasn’t interested in making waves.



“Are you sure?” She asked before muttering something beneath her breath.



“Positive.” Harry said.



He wanted to add that she should go back to the Great Hall, but he sicked up again before he could say anything else.



“I’m getting you a stomach soother.” Hermione hissed.



The door slipped shut with a soft click and her footsteps faded, though Harry struggled to pay attention to them.



He wasn’t sick often. The last time he’d been truly ill might be when he’d been nine or ten and the entire house had caught flu. He vaguely remembered Dudley running a temperature and Aunt Petunia demanding he stay home. In an unsurprising turn of events, Dudley’d attempted to sneak out of the house to play with Piers Polkiss, but he tripped down the steps during his escape and landed so hard on his bottom that he sicked up right there in the hallway.



Harry remembered being concerned for a brief second before he’d been forced to clean it up.



As he leant over the toilet, he belatedly realized that he’d probably caught it because he’d cleaned it up.



Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon likely caught it by consistently kissing Dudley’s sweaty forehead. Maybe it was some form of karmic justice. He didn’t think that was necessarily true though, as it really was just the flu. It spread wherever it could.



Just as it had today with Harry.



The door opened with a bang and footsteps cracked over the stone as someone stepped closer.



“Madam Pomfrey says to stop by her after you take this.” Hermione whispered as she knocked on Harry’s stall. “She doesn’t want an outbreak on her hands first thing, but I have a feeling it’s not something she can really stop.” She added distractedly. “I wonder if she’ll have us keep an eye out for the younger students?”



Nausea spiked again as Harry remembered Hermione and Ron’s new prefect duties.



“Harry?”



Harry dipped his head low, unwilling to move until he was sure he could turn around without spewing anything on Hermione.



“I’ll slip it under the door for you,” She said quietly. “I’m sorry, this is a terrible start to the school year for you.”



A small vial scraped across the stone floor and Harry grabbed it quickly. He pulled the cork free and downed it without a thought. Once he’d made it into the bathroom, he hadn’t gone more than five minutes without getting sick and he was desperate for a reprieve.



“We’re missing a very interesting lecture from our new defense professor.” Hermione said as Harry leant away from the toilet. “Well, maybe not interesting. I asked Ron to pay attention for us, but we’re probably out of luck. Her name is Umbridge, the professor, I mean.” He could hear her arranging something in her book bag. “I wonder if we should ask her about those, erm, horses you saw pulling the carriages. I think we have her first thing tomorrow morning.”



Harry tried to reply, but only gurgled before clearing his throat.



“I’ll wait and ask—” He paused, catching himself.



Before Harry left for the Hogwarts Express with the rest of the Weasley’s, Snape had made a point of carefully informing him that their change of relationship couldn’t be openly noticed or discussed. Malfoy would go squealing to his father if he found out, to say nothing of the other Slytherin’s who had Death Eaters for relatives.



Harry’d initially been upset, though Snape also said he could visit his office whenever he wanted after classes. They just needed to be careful. Hermione and Ron understood once he’d warned them, as had Fred, George and Ginny.



“Feeling better?” Hermione asked as Harry unlocked the latch and stepped out. She smiled hopefully at him, though her wand was out as if she was prepared to cast a scouring charm.



“A bit.” Harry nodded, making sure not to move too quickly. “I think I’m alright now.” He added.



“Lovely, let’s go find Madam Pomfrey.” She said as she spun on her heel and led him out of the bathroom.



“The Ministry has proudly upheld this great institution. I am equally proud to be here, helping mould young minds—”



An overly sweet voice echoed around them as they slipped into the Great Hall. He wondered if their new Professor could hear her students whispering over her fluffy cardigan or pink Alice band. Harry tried to keep his eyes to himself, though he could feel the eyes of too many students on him as they walked. He wished they’d shove off and ogle someone else for once.



“—Though progress, for the sake of progress, should never fly in the face of tradition—”



Harry waved Hermione off as he stepped up to the matron, half wondering if he looked sicker than he felt. He couldn’t guess why else Hermione’d have walked with him.



“Potter,” Madam Pomfrey greeted after dismissing a flushed and sweating first year. “Let me have a look at you then, did you feel ill this morning, or did it come about on the train?” She asked, flicking her wand over Harry’s head. Whatever she’d cast must’ve shown him as being fine, as she nodded to herself over the results and folded her hands.



“On the train, I think.” Harry said. “Or maybe more once I got here.”



Madam Pomfrey nodded again and Harry glanced up at where he knew Snape sat, but couldn’t see him, as he was hidden behind McGonagall.



He cleared his throat against the uncomfortable clagginess that lingered. He didn’t want to be in the Great Hall, being glared and sneered at. Harry almost wished he could go back to Ms Eileen’s and sleep in his own bed tonight, but he tried to remind himself of how much he loved his bed in the Gryffindor tower. Snape had said he could come speak to him after dinner, though he had Head of House duties and several hundred other things to do.



Harry wasn’t sure he wanted to bother Snape if he was busy either. He didn’t have a fantastic grasp of how their relationship would work while they were at Hogwarts. Ron’s voice echoed in his ears, and he found himself worrying again over if Snape would think Harry was worth his time.



He shook his head gently and reminded himself that Snape had dealt with plenty of disasters and had yet to think of Harry as a nuisance.



The thought lingered nonetheless, though it was quieter now.



“Food poisoning, perhaps.” Madam Pomfrey said. “I’ll leave you with a second dose of stomach soother just in case and if you feel ill tonight, don’t hesitate to come by.”



Harry nodded and took the vial before stealing down the long aisle until he found Ron and Hermione.



“Alright then?” Ron asked as he licked his fingers.



“Just fine,” Harry said, chancing another look at Snape. He spotted him this time and shuddered as Snape sneered down at several second years. “What did I miss?”



“Nothing, Umbridge is mental.” Ron groaned.



“Ron!” Hermione started, cracking her dessert fork on the table. Lavender and Parvati glared at her before turning back to their conversation. “I asked you to listen for me!”



“And I did!” Ron argued. “She said a lot about the new term and about wanting to be—” His voice pitched high as he mimicked Umbridge’s tone. “A friend and confidant to her new students.”



Hermione’s eyes widened and she picked her fork up again. “She said she wants to be our friend?”



“Ron’s right, she sounds mental.” Harry said.



His stomach cramped, but the soother kept him from running to the toilet.



“I only caught the part where she spoke about stalling progress.” Hermione said. A thin line creased over her forehead. “It sounded ominous. Why would she want to step in the way of progress?” She asked.



“She reminds me of Percy. It’s probably all bollocks.” Ron said.



“It sounds like Ministry intervention.” Hermione said, leaning toward the two of them. “I don’t think it’s bollocks.”



“Doesn’t really matter though, does it?” Ron asked. “She’ll be gone by the end of the year anyway.” He said before crossing his arms.



Hermione grimaced.



Harry scratched at his forehead and tried to shake off a shiver. He wasn’t sure if he’d caught something particularly nasty or if his body just wasn’t used to fighting illness off. He’d have thought he’d be very skilled at fending off the flu, given how rarely he’d had it growing up.



“I don’t want to trust a jinx I’m not even sure exists.” Hermione whispered.



Harry grabbed a goblet and tried to swallow some water, though his stomach didn’t appreciate it. He wondered what he’d be doing if he’d been in Germany and gotten this sick.



“We’ve yet to have one last though, you’ve seen it yourself.” Harry said, turning back to their conversation.



“Right, see?” Ron nodded. “You’re over worrying."



Hermione looked as if she disagreed, but she kept her thoughts to herself. She turned their conversation toward Hagrid’s disappearance and Professor Grubbly-Plank’s reinstatement instead.



Harry managed to swallow a bit more water before Dumbledore stood and bade them a goodnight.



Despite Harry, Ron, and Hermione’s time honoured tradition of making their way to their dormitory together, they split so Ron and Hermione could fulfill their prefect duties.



Harry’d forgotten that they’d been selected as prefects again.



Ron looked particularly put out and Hermione seemed less interested in helping first years than she’d initially led Harry to believe. She gave Harry a stern look and eyed the small vial of stomach soother before disappearing into the crowd.



The curious looks and disgusted glares were almost getting to him. He didn’t love the idea of making his way to the common room alone.



He rounded the faded armoured knights and made his way toward the Grand Staircase before pausing and eyeing the entrance to the dungeons.



Cool air cut through his sweaty hair, making him shiver. He worried again about how Snape might react to his sudden appearance in his office, or around the Slytherin dormitory. He desperately wanted to escape the wave of students at that moment but before he could give it much thought, Colin Creevey appeared with a note in his hand.



Harry’s stomach almost seemed to settle at the sight of it. Maybe Snape had noticed Harry’s disappearance at dinner and would have something stronger to fight his flu.



Seamus pushed past them before Colin even spoke, nearly shoving him into Harry before he stormed up the staircase. He ignored Colin, though he found time to sneer at Harry before turning away. Dean followed quickly after and tossed them both an apologetic look.



“What’s up with Seamus?” Colin asked before passing the note over. “I thought he was an alright sort of bloke?



A cloying sweet perfume sailed out from the note and Harry’s stomach flipped from calm to nauseas again.



“I don’t know, maybe he ate something that didn’t agree with him?” Harry said distractedly.



“Why would he be angry with us if he ate something?” Colin asked. He climbed to his tip-toes and tried to catch Seamus’s eyes again, but failed. “Anyway, Professor Umbridge told me to give this to you,” He looked down and a faint flush cut across his cheeks. “Also I just wanted to say that I, er, well I—”



Harry blinked up and watched as Colin was caught in his thoughts. He wasn’t sure how long he could patiently stand here. His mouth had started watering and he had a feeling he was moments away from getting sick again.



“Well, I believe you.” Colin said with a firm nod. “I believe what you said about Cedric, I mean. And about You-Know-Who.”



Harry nodded and tried to smile. “Thanks, Colin.” He said lamely.



“My brother believes you too. We’re on your side.” He said.



“Thanks,” Harry said, feeling more awkward by the second. “I really, erm, appreciate it.” He added. “I’m gonna—” He held the sickeningly sweet-smelling note up and Colin nodded before turning and running headlong into a suit of armour.



It crashed to the ground and spilled over the stone floor. Several hufflepuffs shrieked as a shield slid into them and knocked them over.



“Sorry!” Colin shouted over his shoulder. “I didn’t mean to-I’ll just—” He cut himself off and shoulders rose up around his ears as he dashed up the staircase.



Harry turned as gently as he could and stole into the boys lavatory, making his way to the toilet just in time to throw up what little water he’d tried to keep down. He wasn’t sure how long a stomach soother usually lasted for, but he felt the one he’d taken should’ve kept him from getting sick this quickly.



He rubbed his sleeve over his nose and tried to take measured breaths.



The note wasn’t helping. It’s perfume felt as if it were actually intentionally making him sick.



He flipped the note open and tried to dry his sweaty palms as he read the spidery slanted handwriting.



‘Dear Mr Potter, please find me in my office on the third floor this evening, I have a few concerns to discuss with you. Signed, Professor Umbridge, Senior Undersecretary to the Minister for Magic.’



Something tightened around his heart as the pendant hummed softly against his chest.



Maybe Hermione’d been right to worry.



He debated his options and sniffled wetly. He could take the other stomach soother and try and get this meeting over with quickly, but if the soother only lasted ten or so minutes, he’d be throwing up in Umbridge’s office before long. That would be a dead awful first impression.



Madam Pomfrey hadn’t thought his nausea was anything serious either, so it didn’t seem likely that if he went to her, she’d give him anything other than an overnight stay in the Hospital Wing. Harry was very interested in avoiding that. He didn’t think he’d ever stayed overnight at the Hospital Wing on his first night back at Hogwarts and he wasn’t about to break that record.



He pulled the stopper on the second vial and swallowed it as quickly as he could before making his way up the Grand Staircase and through the connecting corridors.



Despite how sick he felt and how much this note worried him, being back in Hogwarts was a balm all on its own.



The high glass windows, winding passageways and curling staircases grew around him. It felt as if they'd been steeped in something older than Harry could fathom and their soft whispers echoed to whoever tread past them.



Harry wondered idly about the phrase ‘if walls could speak,’ and what Hogwarts might say if it could.



He stopped short in front of the heavy iron banded door guarding the Defense office and knocked. He hoped this meeting could be handled in under five minutes. His stomach was blissfully calm for the moment, though he knew it wouldn’t last.



Perhaps there was a jinx on Harry that prevented him from having a pleasant first week of term.



It wouldn’t have surprised him.



“Enter!” A girlish voice called from inside.



Harry swiped his sleeve over his brow again and cast a freshening charm on his robes. He hoped he got the wand movement correct, but given the sweat still dampening under his arms, he doubted he had.



He shoved the door open and nearly retched again as the cloying perfume wrapped around him.



“Ah, Mr Potter.” Professor Umbridge smiled as he stepped closer. Taffy pink ribbons lay end to end around a claw foot desk and several fluffy pink rugs covered the worn wooden floor. A yowling collection of China plates, each with a singularly painted cat, cried and hissed from the walls.



Harry had a sudden memory of the China plates he’d broken at Privet Drive and he forced himself to push his shudders away.



He coughed against the clogged feeling in his throat and tried to screw his face up to look as if he hadn’t spent most of his evening curled around a toilet.



“Good evening, Professor.” Harry said.



“You received my message, I’m so pleased.” Professor Umbridge said with a toothy smile. “I was unsure if we’d have time to chat before lessons started tomorrow, but I had a few concerns I wanted to discuss, like I mentioned in my note.”



Harry nodded and rocked awkwardly on his heels.



“Please, do have a seat,” She said as she flicked her wand, oddly short and pale in colour, and summoned an overstuffed pink armchair.



Harry hoped Umbridge’s preference for pink didn’t ruin his love for his mum’s flat.



He slowly sat on the edge of the seat and cast a quick look around for any rubbish bins in case he’d need it soon.



“Now,” Professor Umbridge started again. She waved her wand in several arcs and summoned a painted tea pot in a pink cozy. “I want you to feel comfortable with me, dear, I understand how difficult it is to be a young person growing into a well rounded adult.” She said as she charmed the teapot to pour two cups and sent one floating toward Harry and the other toward herself. “And I came across something that greatly concerned me this past summer and in the interest of your safety, I knew I needed to get to the bottom of it quickly.”



Harry blinked dumbly as she gestured for him to drink. He didn’t fancy throwing up the overly perfumed tea, but he forced himself to take a polite sip.



“The Ministry takes a vested interest in ensuring our young witches and wizards are as safe as we can make them and you, dear boy, are very important to Minister Fudge.” Professor Umbridge said, simpering in a self-satisfied way as she said Fudge’s name. “So I must ask you where you’ve been this last August?”



Harry coughed into his tea and nearly spilled it over himself.



Professor Umbridge’s smile went wooden at the mess, but brightened again seconds later.
To be continued...
Chapter 2 by WiCeBa
“Mr Potter?”



A loud buzzing began ringing in Harry’s ears. He tried to gently shake it away, but it continued humming with a persistent tone. Professor Umbridge didn’t seem to notice the sound and Harry worried he was closer to some kind of episode than he’d initially thought. Sweat ran down his neck and dampened his shirt collar.



Had he fallen asleep and dreamt this up?



He hadn’t been the best sleeper lately and it wasn’t out of the ordinary for him to have nodded off. It might be a dream, given how strange his dreams usually were. If it was a dream, it was frighteningly realistic. Realistic and bizarre.



Dreams could be bizarre and realistic though, so that made sense.



Snape’s voice whispered discordantly over the buzzing, asking Harry how he could wonder whether or not this was a dream if he was the one doing the dreaming. If he knew this was his dream, why hadn’t he woken up? If this was his dream, he wasn’t sure how or why he’d created Professor Umbridge. Why would he have created someone who enjoyed an alarming amount of pink and preferred crying cats on China plates? This line of thinking only served to confuse Harry more.



Maybe his subconscious desperately wanted him to go back to his mum’s flat?



Pink didn’t feature everywhere in his mum’s flat though, it was mostly in the sitting room, and that made this being a dream feel even more unlikely.



“Mr Potter?” Professor Umbridge asked again as she leant closer and folded her hands. “Did you hear my question?”



Harry blinked and set his tea cup onto the desk.



“Erm, I don’t—”



“It’s quite simple really,” Professor Umbridge’s painted lips tightened. “You see, given your behaviour and the events at the end of last term, the Ministry saw fit to check up on you.”



Horror thrummed through Harry, only adding to the roiling nausea swimming in his stomach.



Why hadn’t Aunt Petunia mentioned the Ministry to Snape when he’d written her? Had she written Snape back? Harry suddenly couldn’t remember if they’d actually communicated, or if Snape had just owled her Dudley’s cure.



What did Professor Umbridge mean by Harry’s behaviour as well?



He hoped she didn’t mean his behaviour surrounding Voldemort’s rebirth. Harry felt it was obvious as to why he’d acted out of character after that. He’d behaved exactly as he imagined someone who’d been kidnapped and tortured and left to their own devices might, so that really couldn’t have been out of character.



Even after three months he was still a bit off, despite attempting to process the events. He knew the Ministry didn’t believe his story and that infuriated him, but they couldn’t deny Cedric’s death. They must’ve known he hadn’t dropped dead of his own accord. Of course Harry’d be a bit off after witnessing something like that, regardless of whether or not they believed him about Voldemort. Snape had worked with him for nearly a month now though and he’d started slowly coming around.



Professor Umbridge’s eyes flickered to a roll of parchment on her left.



The writing was nearly too thin for Harry to read, but he thought he spotted several names in a row.



“You do live with your aunt, do you not?” She asked.



Harry’s mouth started watering again and he searched the office once more for a rubbish bin. Should he say he was ill and run? It wouldn’t be a lie and being sick might buy him time to speak with Snape.



Why hadn’t they come up with a plan in case this happened? Snape usually thought of everything and if he didn’t, Ms Eileen caught what he missed.



“Harry, dear?”



Professor Umbridge’s eyes found Harry’s and he worried for one heart stopping moment that she was a Legilimens. She didn’t look as if she’d learned anything from Harry’s thoughts though, not in the way Snape described it.



Her dark brown eyes searched Harry’s, but thankfully seemed to come up empty.



Snape had made it sound as if it was nearly impossible to lie in the face of legilimency. Not that Harry’d lied yet.



He hadn’t even said anything.



The smile slid from her lips and a concerned look replaced it. She stood and slowly circled around her desk. The taffy-pink ribbons seemed to fade as she came closer, as did the crying cats. It was as if she took up all the available space, though Harry didn’t think she’d grown in size. She wasn’t a large woman, Harry actually thought she’d been relatively short, but at the moment he felt very much like he had when he’d been six and Uncle Vernon loomed over him.



“Now, you poor dear,” Professor Umbridge began with a strangely kind tone. Harry blinked at the change. The cloying perfume faded leaving the room blissfully unscented for a moment and she reached a hand out, grasping him gently around his shoulder. “I want you to know that I’m your friend before I’m the Senior Undersecretary. You see, Minister Fudge seems to think you’re in need of a firm hand, but I—” She gave a soft titter as she gestured to herself. “I am more of the opinion that you’ve just had a rough go of things and haven’t found your feet yet.”



The soft fabric backing of the armchair hit Harry’s neck and he realized that the closer she’d come, the farther away he’d tried to move away.



“Would you say that’s about right?” She asked kindly.



His stomach rolled in an uncomfortably icy way, but he didn’t throw up. He wasn’t even sure if he could throw up, as he suddenly found himself struggling to move at all. Maybe this truly was a dream and he’d fallen asleep over the toilet. Hermione might be trying to shake him awake. That would explain the hand in his shoulder, though it didn’t explain his inability to move.



Sleep paralyzed the body, or at least it was supposed to, wasn’t it?



A knock on the door forced Umbridge away. She stood so quickly her coiffed curls fell forward and slipped out of place, seeming to break whatever held Harry so forcibly still. Her heels cracked loudly over the wooden floor as she sped toward the door.



Harry inhaled greedily the farther she moved away. He must’ve stopped breathing at some point, but he couldn't guess when it’d happened. The awful perfume rushed back around him and he coughed heavily against it. He wasn’t sure where it’d gone or how it’d left, but it coated his throat now.



He shivered and pushed himself to sit up, fighting the uncomfortable, relaxed feeling sinking in him.



What had happened?



He flinched as he heard her twist the lock on the door. He couldn’t remember having heard her lock it in the first place.



“Yes-oh!” Professor Umbridge said sweetly. “Professor Trelawney, isn’t it?”



Trelawney’s warbling voice echoed from the doorway, though it was cloudy in Harry’s ears.



Harry wrenched himself to his feet and wobbled for a moment as he struggled to stand. He didn’t want to be in this room anymore. He didn’t want to be on the third floor anymore. He wanted to be as far from Professor Umbridge as he could get and he couldn’t decide if that meant he’d need to escape to the Common Room or to the dungeons.



The yowling cats broke through the dampening buzzing and seemed uncharacteristically loud. In fact they were much louder than they’d been when he’d first entered.



“The Staffroom? Of course, in ten minutes you say?” Professor Umbridge asked.



It sounded as if Snape wouldn’t be in his office anyway and Harry didn’t have much choice then but to escape to the Common Room. Later, if he could, he might sneak down to Snape’s office. He’d check the Marauders Map and make sure it didn’t seem as if Snape was too busy for a visit.



He twisted on his heel and tipped sideways before falling into the armchair. His head swam as a lump shot up his throat and he jerked backwards, missing the armchair by a hair as he finally sicked up.



Professor Umbridge recoiled at the sound and sucked in a gasp as she caught sight of Harry.



Harry pressed his palm to his mouth.



Humiliation burst through him and he tried to vanish the mess quickly, though after failing twice, he forced himself to cast a scouring charm instead. It left several thick scars over the worn floor, but cleaned it well enough.



“I’m sorry, Professor!” He coughed as he made for the door. “I don’t feel well, excuse me.”



Professor Umbridge jerked out of his way, as did Trelawney. He thought he heard Trelawney call out an awkward consolation and something about ginger tea, but he ignored them both in favour of getting as far from them as he could.



His heart thundered in his chest and the necklace began warming in an attempt to help.



He realized with a shock that it’d been cold for the entire meeting. It always reacted to fear or anger before and he didn’t understand why it hadn’t warmed, because Harry had been plenty fearful. He didn’t love to think of himself giving into his emotions like that, but he couldn’t very well lie to himself at the moment.



This Umbridge woman was just a professor though, he tried to tell himself. She wasn’t worth being worried or fearful of, despite their awful meeting. He certainly needed to watch out for her, but being actively scared wouldn’t help him.



He rounded the corner and dashed up several sets of stairs, taking care to avoid the steps that vanished.



The portraits burst noisily around him, they gossiped, sang, and joked as he passed them by. It felt too normal and as if he hadn’t just sat through one of the most uncomfortable meetings in his life. He felt there should’ve been some louder type of reaction, though he wasn’t sure what he was specifically searching for. He supposed he really shouldn’t judge the strangeness of a meeting by the castle’s reaction, given that it housed several far stranger things than Umbridge without seeming off.



“Harry!” Ron’s voice called from high above. “Where’ve you been!?” He asked.



Harry gave him a short wave and they made their way toward each other with Ron chattering the entire way down. He mentioned the new first years and his shock at how small they were, Fred and George and their newest merchandise, something that involved a horrendous type of monkey, and lastly, his prefect duties and poor opinion of them.



“You wouldn’t believe all the work we’ve got to do on top of homework. It’s mental, mate.” Ron said as they met near the entrance to the fifth floor. “Those midgets don’t know how good they’ve got it. We had Percy for a prefect, remember? ‘I’ll be checking beds at night to ensure there’s no sneaking about’ .” Ron said, mimicking Percy’s no-nonsense tone. “Though, They do have to suffer Hermione, unlucky little tossers. I bet she’s already drawn up maps with the best routes to the library for them.”



Harry desperately wanted to laugh, though he didn’t fancy sicking up again if he did.



“Are you alright?” Ron asked after a moment. His eyes widened as he looked Harry over. “You look pale.” He said. “Really pale, mate.”



Harry shook his head and sucked in a gasp of blissfully cool and unperfumed air. “I have to go throw up,” He said blandly. “And I have to tell you about Umbridge.”



Ron’s forehead creased, but he followed Harry down the fifth floor corridor without complaint.



“You’re still sick?” He asked as they swept into the lavatory.



Harry grunted a yes and made for the toilet. There wasn’t even anything to throw up, as he hadn’t been able to keep anything down once he’d gotten off the train. He’d thought water would be safe, but he’d been dreadfully wrong.



“You’re sure you wouldn’t rather go to the Hospital Wing?” Ron asked.



“Positive.” Harry said with a hacking cough. “Pomfrey said she thought it was food poisoning, so there isn’t really anything to do about it.”



Ron shuffled in place and sniffed.



“I don’t know, food poisoning doesn’t really make people this sick, does it?”



“I haven’t actually had food poisoning before.” Harry said, after a moment of contemplation. “I don’t really know how sick is too sick. I guess if I’m still sick in the morning, I’ll go to Pomfrey.”



“You don’t think it has anything to do with what happened over the summer, do you?” Ron asked.



“How could it?” Harry said, spitting, flushing the toilet and wiping his mouth off as made his way out of the stall.



“I dunno, I’m just asking.” Ron said. He rubbed his nose and glanced nervously around the lavatory. “Maybe it’s like, you’re body not knowing it can eat more than a six—”



Harry waved Ron off with a sharp movement before he threw up the muffling charm Snape had taught him over the summer.



“Sorry,” Ron winced. “I forgot we knew that spell.”



Harry nodded, though he couldn’t say whether he was actually alright with their conversation potentially having been eavesdropped on. He was more worried about Snape’s cover remaining intact than anyone learning about his having been six though.



“Speaking of the summer,” Harry began leaning over and trying to hear if anyone else was in the bathroom. “Umbridge knows I wasn’t at the Dursley’s.”



Ron grimaced and tossed a second look around the loo, double checking again that it really was as empty as it looked.



“How?” He asked. “When would she have learned that?”



Harry shrugged before twisting and splashing water over his face.



“It was awful though, she was—” He paused, wondering suddenly if he wanted to tell Ron everything about the unnerving meeting. He couldn’t very well keep the entire thing secret, not when he had to attend her class in the morning. They’d probably wonder what was wrong with him if he acted strangely around a teacher he supposedly hadn’t met. “She was just really weird.”



“Weird like,” Ron paused and seemed to struggle to find the right words. “Weird like, we need to watch out around her, or weird like Lockhart?” He asked as his eyes turned serious.



Harry snickered. “I’m not sure anyone is weird like Lockhart.”



The foreboding nausea that had followed him for the last few hours finally seemed to dull, though it hadn’t faded.



Ron gave him a forced smile.



The porcelain blissfully chilled Harry’s sweaty back as he leant against the sinks and stared down at his trainers. Ms Eileen had found the shoes at the market. They weren’t ratty in the slightest and she’d even charmed the sides red, all because Harry’d mentioned liking the colour.



“Come on,” Ron said with a sniff. He gave Harry a look he’d rarely seen before and was often only directed at Ginny. “Let's go warn Hermione about another Professor who’s out to kill you.”



Harry huffed.



“She might not want me dead.” He said, trying to lighten the mood. “I don’t actually know all of what she wants or knows, I was sick in her office and ran away before she could start anything.”



Ron shook his head and took a deep breath before steering him from the bathroom.



“You know, that’s my dream escape.” Ron said as they climbed the stairs and neared the entrance to the Common Room. “They can’t argue with you if they think you’re sick. Especially when you’re actually sick.”



Harry nodded.



“Maybe Fred and George hit on a good idea with their products. Umbridge couldn’t really say much with me spewing everywhere.”



“Tell that to Mum,” Ron mumbled as they climbed through the portrait hole. “She thinks they’ll go broke in a month.”



The Common Room bustled with a subdued excitement. Several groups of yawning students were draped over the couches as they talked about their summers and the upcoming year. Harry could almost pretend it felt normal, if not for the forced silence that surrounded him when he passed them by.



He wished they’d get it out of their system. He was almost glad Colin mentioned believing him, though he wished he’d felt less ill when they’d spoken.



Ron made a beeline for Hermione and Harry followed, eager to avoid the stares and sneers.



Hermione looked up from a book and a thick roll of parchment. She smiled and gestured for them to sit in the squashy armchairs she’d commandeered. She looked to have set up quite a comfy and secluded looking spot while he and Ron had been gone.



“How are you feeling? I’m glad Ron found you, you haven’t been sick this whole time, have you?” She asked quickly.



“Bad news out the gate.” Ron said, dropping into a chair and flicking his wand the same way Harry had in the bathroom.



The muffling charm hummed around them.



“Not the worst news,” Harry started, heading off Ron’s dry tone. “Just not great.”



“Not great?” Ron echoed as he gave Harry a disbelieving look. “You’ve been back for two days and thing’s have already gone poorly.”



Harry dearly wanted to shrink in on himself at that comment. He sank slowly into a chair instead.



“Ron!” Hermione hissed with a glare. She looked as if she’d wanted to say something more, but she kept her mouth shut instead. “What is it then? Don’t tell me Malfoy actually does know about what happened this summer. I swear, I knew he might, what with how he carried on at our prefect’s meeting.”



Harry winced as a faint memory floated to the surface of his thoughts and Dumbledore’s voice echoed in his ears.



After he’d escaped Avery and woken up in Grimmauld Place, he’d snuck into the kitchen and heard the Order discussing Voldemort. Dumbledore said Avery spilled everything about Harry being six.



If Voldemort knew, Lucius Malfoy must’ve known.



There was no way then, that Draco Malfoy didn’t know Harry’d been six. Lucius wouldn’t have kept that gem to himself.



Harry fell forward and dropped his head into his palms.



“Oh,” Hermione said weakly. “Maybe, well, maybe it’ll be alright?” She added equally faint. “Maybe he was-he was bluffing?”



“Hardly, that’s two things to worry about now.” Ron said with a groan. “Is there anything else we want to add while we’re talking about it? Snuffles hasn’t shown himself at the Ministry or anything, has he? Sn-er,” Ron paused and Harry was nearly tempted to look up from where he’d hidden his face, but he couldn’t stomach the thought yet.



He couldn’t imagine the torment Malfoy would cause this year.



“Two things?” Hermione asked quietly.



“Umbridge wants Harry dead.”



Harry sat up this time, giving himself an uncomfortable dose of vertigo. “No!” He said sharply. “She doesn’t, or at least I don’t think she does.” He said.



Umbridge hadn’t mentioned anything about wanting Harry dead. She’d tried to piece together where he’d been in August, which was a sharp cry from wanting someone dead. He understood why Ron would make that leap, but he wasn’t keen to add another person to the steadily lengthening list of people who wanted him dead.



“She’s just weird.” Harry said as his nose wrinkled at the phantom scent of her perfume. “She has a thing for the colour pink and cats and I can’t tell if she drugged the tea or if I just have food poisoning.”



“I thought you were sure it was food poisoning!” Ron said with a worried look.



Hermione stared at him for a long moment before snapping her book shut and standing.



“I’m getting—” She paused before huffing and gritting her teeth. “Do we have a name for them yet? I’d like to know before one of us really slips up.”



Ron stared open mouthed at her before making an aborted, unsure sound.



“Er,” Harry started before shaking his head ‘no’.



“Fine. I’m going to pick one on the way down. Will you get the map please so we can do this delicately.” Hermione said, forcing her voice to soften as she shoved aside the careful stack of parchment and books she’d arranged.



Harry shook his head ‘no’ again. “They’re in a staff meeting.”



Hermione’s eyes darkened and she threw herself back into her seat.



Harry wasn’t sure if he even wanted to run to Snape. What if he was busy, or dealing with Malfoy? Or Dumbledore or Umbridge? Or any plethora of tasks.



What if he thought Harry was overreacting or being clingy?



This was clingy behaviour, Harry knew he should admit that. He hadn’t ever had an adult he could just run to before and he didn’t want to ruin their relationship by getting Snape for every little thing.



What would he even say?



He could imagine it now. Harry would stumble over his words and moan about being uncomfortable in Umbridge’s office and maybe he’d say something like, ‘I can’t say for sure, but I think she might’ve hexed or drugged my tea’. Snape would be distinctly displeased. He liked to have concrete facts before he listened to accusations against people, so he wouldn’t like for Harry to make wild claims.



What if it turned out like the last four years, with Harry worrying and Snape thinking he was just an attention seeking toe-rag?



“How long do those meetings last, do you think?” Hermione asked as she bit her thumbnail. “An hour? Less than that?” She glanced over her shoulder at the clock on the wall.



“It’s the first night, probably more than an hour?” Ron guessed.



Hermione scoffed and folded her arms.



“Maybe we bother Fred and George for a prank and we break up the meeting, like we did at—” Ron waved at what Harry guessed meant Grimmauld Place.



“I don’t think it’d work.” Harry said. “Plus, Umbridge is in there right now.”



Hermione nodded.



“I hate this.” She said after a moment. “I knew he knew something, ferret.” She whispered under her breath and glared at the scarlet rug before the fire. She looked up at Harry and seemed to change tacks. “What’s something specific to them, Harry? A name we can call them that we won’t accidentally say during regular conversation? I mean, of course we’ll still use their name, but that’s only for when we want the-the less useful version of themselves!”



Harry nodded and sat back as he tried to think of something specific that had happened over the summer.



There were plenty of events to draw from, though he wasn’t sure he wanted Ron or Hermione knowing about all of them. Some of the stories were more precious to Harry than he was willing to admit and he wasn’t sure he wanted to share all of them. He wasn’t sure how Snape would feel if he shared them as well. Several were small, inconsequential moments from within the horrible beginning of August, but they were all the more special to Harry for that.



He thought of the plaits his mum had tried styling in Snape’s hair and the stories about the arguments between the two. He quickly found himself thinking of Germany again, and of the small stuffed dog that sat on his bed. Ms Eileen had promised to look after it despite Harry being fifteen again and knowing that it didn’t need much care. The memory of their unofficial Gobstones championship and how they’d forced Snape into participating the night before leaving for Hogwarts rang in his ears.



“I don’t really know, you two don’t have any suggestions, do you?” Harry said as he curled his fingers loosely around the edge of his jumper.



Now that he truly thought about it, Harry couldn’t guess if he was protective of his memories for selfish reasons or not. Snape would probably be annoyed if Ron and Hermione knew the ins and outs of every moment he and Snape had experienced, but he would likely understand if Harry wanted to share stories with his friends.



“Bat.” Ron said after a moment.



Hermione tossed him a withering look. “No, that’s too obvious for one and we’re giving them a second chance.”



Ron raised his hands apologetically.



“What about,” Hermione started before pausing and blinking down at the rug again. She scoffed again before dropping her chin into her palms. “This is actually quite hard.”



Harry laughed, feeling normal for the first time all day.



“I’m going to ask Fred and George, they’ll know something off the cuff.” Ron said as he stood. “Do you want to check the map, Harry?” He asked before stepping passed a few snoring second years.



Harry nodded and made his way to the dormitory. He bypassed a few dirty looks and some uncomfortably friendly ones, all the while trying to remind himself that it was probably alright to speak with Snape tonight. He was busy, but he’d specifically said Harry could come visit.



If he hadn’t wanted Harry to visit, he’d have said not to.



Wouldn’t he?



Hermione seemed to think they could get him anytime they liked, though Harry was very unsure of that. This wasn’t summer nor was it Germany. If he loitered around the dungeons day in and day out, someone was bound to notice.



Maybe he should have a limit? Perhaps he could visit for one day out of every week.



He shook his head gently and tried to push away the slowly growing nausea again. Once a week was still too often to visit a Professor who, by all accounts, hated the very air Harry breathed. Maybe there was a secret passageway that led to Snape’s office? That seemed like the sort of thing Snape would have.



He shoved the dormitory door open and stepped inside.



“You’re still here then?” Seamus asked from where he’d thrown himself across his bed. “Don’t you have some attention seeking to do?” His voice dripped with derision.



Harry twisted and eyed him before trying to slow his breathing and clear his mind. Snape had mentioned Occlumency being good for a great many instances and this felt like one of them.



“I can’t believe they haven’t expelled you yet? Not even after all your lies?”



Not that Harry was feeling particularly good at Occlumency at the moment. He tried to remind himself that this was hardly the worst sort of bullying he’d been on the receiving end of.



He also tried to remind himself that Occlumency was more for his own benefit than others.



Dean whispered a sharp sound at Seamus before turning back to Harry. “He doesn’t mean that, he’s sorry.” He said.



“Yes, I do mean that!” Seamus snapped. “And I’m not sorry.”



Harry waved him off and kicked open his trunk. He half wondered if Snape would feel it was an invasion of privacy for Harry to snoop on his whereabouts, but it wasn’t like Harry hadn’t done just that before.



“Do you know what I had to do in order to convince my mum to let me come back to Hogwarts because of you?” Seamus asked. “Do you—”



“You’re mad at me because your mum wanted to protect you?” Harry asked. “Sounds rough mate, really.” He added as he plucked the map from its hiding place and glared at Seamus.



Seamus coloured and he shoved his wand downward in a sharp arc.



“It’s not like you’d get that, Potter.” He snapped.



Harry’s hands tightened into fists around the map and nausea roiled through him again.



“Stop it, Seamus.” Dean said, crossing his arms. “You made it here and it’s not like Harry was begging your mum to keep you from Hogwarts. Yelling at him isn’t going to change her opinion.”



Seamus threw a fierce glare at Dean before flicking his wand in another sharp movement and lighting Harry’s bed covers on fire. Harry jerked backwards and drew his own wand, but Dean hopped to his feet and smothered it with a wave.



“Seamus!” Dean shouted.



Rather than answering, Seamus turned into his pillow and thrust the covers over his head.



Acrid black smoke slunk lazily from the blanket and rose to the ceiling. Harry didn’t know if ‘reparo’ would work very well on burn marks. He wondered if he should just ask Dobby for a new cover.



Despite having grown up in cast-offs, Harry was surprisingly poor at mending spells.



He didn’t want to think about why that was.



“I’m sorry.” Dean whispered. “I’m sorry, Harry.” He said again as they both stared at the blackened hole in Harry’s blanket. “I’ll talk to him, please don’t get McGonagall.”



Harry almost let out a laugh. McGonagall wouldn’t care much about a burn mark on Harry’s covers.



He paused and blinked when it occurred to him that Snape might, though.



He wondered how Snape would feel if someone burned a hole in Harry’s blanket in Germany. He’d been fastidious with Harry’s bedroom there. Fastidious and frighteningly specific. Harry’d never been able to convince him to swap sleeping arrangements throughout the entirety of August. He wasn’t sure if this bed held the same meaning as the one in Germany though.



“It’s fine.” Harry said before twisting on his heel and slipping out the door.



He whispered the passcode for the map and unfolded the inner sections until the first floor was revealed. Several professors milled about near the Staffroom, though it didn’t look as if whatever meeting they were meant to attend had finished.



“Is Ruffles free?” Hermione asked once she spotted Harry.



Harry stopped short. “Ruffles?” He asked.



“Fred and George thought it was hysterical. Snuffles and Ruffles.” Hermione said in a deadpan voice. “On account of how easy it is to ruffle them.”



Ron snickered.



“They’ll hate that.” Harry said, dreading the idea of ever informing Snape of that name. To say nothing of the hell Sirius would raise if he ever learned Snape’s nickname rhymed with his. He mentally promised himself to think of something else for Snape that wouldn’t eventually lead to a screaming match.



“We’ll think of something better later. I’d really like to know if Ruffles is free now though, please.” Hermione said, leaning over the armchair. “I think it’s rather important.” She said with a stern look.



Harry shook his head ‘no’ and passed the map over.



“What are we supposed to say anyway?” He asked. “It’s not like anything happened.”



“Several things, the first being that you think our Professor drugged you!” Hermione said whispering violently under her breath. “That’s not normal behaviour!”



“I mean, in a way, it is.” Ron said, though he backtracked quickly. “Not that it makes this any better, I mean, we know it’s not entirely out of the ordinary though, so S-Ruffles wouldn’t think we’re-we’re—” His eyes flickered to the ceiling and he looked to be debating his next comment carefully. “I just mean, maybe heading this off will make it better in the long run?”



Harry stared at the two of them. “What if they can’t do anything about it?”



That wasn’t necessarily what he’d wanted to ask, but he didn’t think he could make himself say what truly worried him.



He didn’t even like thinking about it.



Ron’s voice echoed through his thoughts again, asking when Snape would get sick of him and toss him back to the Dursleys.



He tried to shake the thought away, but failed. Nausea wracked through his stomach again and nearly had him turning to find a bucket, but it kindly stayed down. He wished he didn’t feel ill.



Hermione slowly lowered a fold on the map. “That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t speak to them.” She said softly. “We can think of it like checking in. We check in today and we see how things work going forward? We’ll see what they feel about everything that’s happened. We can’t guess at what they’d say without asking, it’s not very fair to them.” She nodded as her voice strengthened. “It’s especially unfair given how we’ve treated their character in the past.”



Ron hummed a sour, but agreeable note.



“Let’s wait out their meeting and sneak down afterwards.” Hermione said. “I’m going to make sure the first year girls get to bed alright, Ron, do you want to—”



“Already handled.” Ron nodded. “They’ve got things in hand.”



Hermione’s nose wrinkled but she neglected to say anything as she handed the map over to Harry and made for the girls dormitory.



Harry wished he was back in Germany again. He almost wished he was six as well, though he never wanted to feel that vulnerable again.



He closed his eyes and tried to picture their average day.



It was easy to pretend having dinner back in Germany and Harry growing more tired by the minute after they’d relaxed into their armchairs. Once he was too tired to even be awake he’d go up to a bed with no burn marks and he’d sleep peacefully.



His necklace hummed, slowly beating a warm patter against his chest.



He wouldn’t have to worry about any Professors or Malfoy potentially tormenting him. He’d probably be planning his next morning.



They passed the time with a nervous sort of energy. He and Ron checked the map several times before Hermione returned, each time finding Snape frozen next to Professor Sprout. Hermione checked it more than either of them and couldn’t seem to put the map down for more than five minutes.



He’d escaped to the loo twice while they waited, though he never felt better afterwards.



Harry wondered as he waited, if Umbridge would somehow learn about his wanting to sneak out and meet with Snape. It had him curious again about how she’d learned he wasn’t at Privet Drive for most of August.



Ms Eileen’s voice hissed several questions in a row and interrogated his memory of the meeting.



‘Did she give anything away?’ Her voice echoed in his ears. ‘What didn’t she say?’



Umbridge had asked Harry if he lived with Aunt Petunia, but she hadn’t remembered her name directly. Harry supposed that wasn’t wildly unusual as Umbridge probably saw more than a thousand names a week, what with being a Senior Undersecretary.



‘Petunia Dursley’ probably didn’t rank very highly in importance to her.



There was something distinctly odd about her one-sided conversation, but Harry struggled to remember all of the specifics. He wasn’t as good at this as Ms Eileen and it felt as if his memories were clouded over with taffy-pink smoke. He began feeling even more uncomfortable when he tried to recall if he’d said anything during the meeting, but could only imagine pink ribbons being wrapped so tightly over his mouth that it impaired his ability to speak.



He blinked sluggishly against the feeling and his arms and legs felt as if they’d turned to lead. Something else had happened, but he couldn’t guess at what.



“They’ve finished.” Hermione said as her head whipped up. “I’ve been watching Umbridge as well and it looks as if she’s headed to her office. Do we want to wait until she’s in there or make a break for it now.”



The Common Room hardly whispered around them now, nearly empty as it was. Dying embers threw a weak glow over the scarlet furniture and whoever else had managed to remain awake despite the late hour. Anyone left lingering was likely trying to make up summer work. They’d mostly dropped off though and were snoring into their arms.



“Let’s wait.” Harry whispered quickly.



He didn’t fancy running into Umbridge, not when he still couldn’t get the uncomfortable feeling of ribbon out of his mouth.



Hermione nodded and stared back at the map. He almost warned her about behaving a bit obsessively, but he supposed he’d acted the same way when he wanted to know where someone was or where they were going.



“Have you got your cloak? I worry about all three of us sneaking out. Maybe Harry should just go?” Hermione asked.



“No way,” Ron said, his voice dropping after a third year snorted. “All or nothing. We were split up for most of August and I’m sick of not being in the loop.” He added. “We’ll just have to be careful.”



Harry thought he caught the odd look Ron had given him earlier, though he couldn’t be sure.



Hermione squinted and seemed to debate it, but nodded before climbing to her feet. “I don’t love the thought of us sneaking out on our first night. I thought with us being prefects and having Ruffles now, we’d try being more,” She paused and gestured silently at them all. “More well behaved.”



“We are.” Ron said. “We’re about to get a bloody teacher to help us. This is the most well behaved we’ve ever been.”



Harry grabbed his wand and pushed himself to his feet. Whatever left him feeling like lead had dissipated and he wondered if he’d just imagined it. Maybe it really was just food poisoning.



“Maybe,” Harry started as worry began creeping in quickly. “Maybe I will just go alone? I don’t want Ruffles getting mad at you two.”



Hermione’s eyes widened and she glanced nervously at Ron.



“Are you sure?” She asked, turning back to Harry. “You will promise to bring up Umbridge, won’t you?”



Harry shrugged, but felt more and more like just hiding in his bed. He didn’t want Snape thinking Harry couldn’t handle one night without him. Maybe he’d just bugger off to an empty classroom and hide there for a while before coming back and claiming that Snape was asleep?



“I’m coming, if just to be a distraction.” Ron said as he spun and tip-toed out of the portrait hole. Hermione folded the tails hanging off the map and searched it twice more before slipping out the door as well. “I can’t go to sleep anyway,” Ron’s voice echoed quietly through the corridor. “Seamus was being a prat earlier and I’m still angry with him.”



Harry groaned inwardly as he followed after them.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading!
Chapter 3 by WiCeBa
Ron and Hermione’s soft footsteps echoed as they made their way through the quiet corridor.



Harry skirted the bust of Hengist of Woodcroft and tried to keep up. He should have been delighted to be out in Hogwarts at night, as in the past, he’d loved sneaking about and discovering new passageways and rooms while most of the castle slept. Hogwarts had often seemed as excited to be explored as Harry was to explore it. He’d go so far as to say that the castle made escapes easier by lessening the chances of being caught, if snooping student’s paid close enough attention.



Ron dashed through bright blocks of moonlight and whispered at Hermione and Harry to keep up.



He wished he’d convinced them both to let him go alone. If he had, he could’ve been in an empty classroom right now, rather than chasing after his friends. He’d be sitting as still as possible and letting the cool, quiet space slow him down enough to rationalize Umbridge’s dreadful meeting.



Harry’s stomach ached and he tried to shake off the slippery feeling of ribbons around his mouth.



“Wait!” Hermione hissed as she paused and flipped over a fold on the map. “Filch is coming up the western staircase.” She added nervously. “Doesn’t he sleep!?”



“We can cut around the Transfiguration classroom and take the passageway behind the tapestry.” Ron whispered just a hair too loud as he picked up speed. Harry cursed his own sluggishness as he chased after him. “I don’t think Ruffles will cover for us—”



His voice was cut off when he dashed around the corner and down the corridor.



Harry’s heart clenched as he imagined what Snape would say when he found them out of bed after hours. He’d never failed to come down as hard as he could on Harry when he’d caught him before. Harry now understood why, given how his dad had snuck out more often than he stayed in. It wasn’t difficult to imagine James and Snape getting into midnight duels where Snape would be caught but James would somehow miraculously escape.



What would Snape say when he saw them? What if he compared Harry to his dad again?



What if he gave them detention and kicked Harry out?



Harry very nearly turned tail, before Ron’s fingers snagged his collar and tugged him into a dark alcove.



“Sorry.” He huffed in apology. He kept a firm hand on Harry’s shoulder, stopping him from tipping over as he wedged himself between Hermione and the brighter side of the alcove’s opening.



Once he seemed to think it was safe, he gestured to Hermione who in turn pointed at the map.



Harry squinted and spied Flitwick’s name making its way down a connected hallway. It rounded the corner and entered the corridor, nearing their hiding place.



What would Snape say if he heard about Flitwick catching them after hours? He’d probably slam the door in Harry’s face if he ever tried to visit again. He might take back everything he’d said throughout the summer. Harry’d gone to great lengths to prove he wasn’t a bullying, strutting, rule breaking, prat, but wasn’t that exactly what he was doing at the moment?



Well, maybe Harry wasn’t doing all of those things, but given that he was doing some of them, it wouldn’t be a stretch for Snape to lump them all together and compare him to his father.



The necklace beat a staccato into his chest.



Harry knew their changed relationship depended on him being different from his father and if Harry turned out to be just like James, Snape would despise him. Harry couldn’t lose Snape. If he lost Snape, he’d probably wind up back at the Dursleys come next summer. He might end up fighting Dumbledore alone. He’d most definitely wind up fighting Voldemort alone.



He’d need to handle the prophecy alone as well.



Hermione’s hand slipped upwards before jabbing Harry in his eye.



“Sorry!” She hissed as she inched backwards. “Flitwick’s gone.” Her wide eyes flashed over Harry’s face. “I saw Ruffles do it once when you weren’t responding.”



Harry blinked as he rubbed his eye. “What did he do?” He asked while Ron led them out of the alcove.



He spared a moment to worry over how long he hadn’t been able to hear them speaking, but he tried to tell himself that it couldn’t have been more than a few seconds. He tried to guess when Snape jabbed him in the eye before as well.



“This—” Hermione waved her finger upward, but seemed to struggle to find the right word. “Well, it doesn’t matter. I was worried—am,” She paused before continuing. “Am worried.”



Ron took the map from her and carefully guided them down the remaining floors. They’d needed to double back around Mrs Norris once and twice past Peeves once they reached the second floor, but the poltergeist had thankfully been occupied with several stink-bombs.



It was a miracle they’d made it to the dungeons at all. The icy air now cooled over their sweaty skin and almost held the appearance of smoke as it sank around the stone.



Damp grass seemed to grow in the corner of Harry’s eyes. It climbed overtop broken tombstones and lingering just out of sight. He shuddered against the feeling and tried to remind himself that Hogwarts had no graveyards.



A dank and moldy smell whispered from the entrance, seeming to boldly ignore that claim. After all, dead people roamed freely through Hogwarts.



“It’s smooth sailing from here down, unless we run into any Slytherin’s, that is.” Ron said.



The doorway seemed to swallow the surrounding noise, as well as any light. Where their path had previously been lit by wide swathes of bright moonlight, it drifted into nothingness in the dark face of the dungeons.



“Let’s turn back.” Harry said, unsure if he could hear the soft snickers of Death Eaters, or if he was imagining it. He knew, logically, it had to be his imagination, as the only Death Eater in the castle was Snape and Snape wasn’t about to giggle at his fear, or tie him to a tombstone. Though, while he may not want to murder Harry, he might take back everything that’d changed between if he was under the impression that Harry hadn’t changed.



Every new thought seemed to stack onto the next, humming through Harry’s body and making him numb with worry.



“We’ve gotten this far,” Ron said, holding up the map. “And there’s no one about down there.”



Harry shook his head and tried to swallow around his dry throat. He wasn’t sure if he could explain his fear to Ron and Hermione, nor was he sure if he even wanted to tell them.



“If I was Ruffles, I would want to know if someone drugged my—my students.” Hermione said with a cough. “Especially if the offender was a co-worker.”



Ron nodded. “I mean, imagine if she just started drugging everyone’s tea.” He said before concern started spreading across his face. “We’re going to have to check our food tomorrow morning.” He added. The sweaty flush darkened for a moment and he twisted and whispered to Hermione and Harry. “Bloody hell, if I were her, I’d probably drug Ruffles first. He’s got to be good at guessing poisons.”



Harry forced away a panicked gasp and stole the map from Ron before checking Snape’s location. He knew they would’ve said something if Umbridge had left her office, but the thought of Snape coming across Umbridge and being unwittingly poisoned horrified him. He tried to remind himself that he still wasn’t sure if she was actually drugging people, as he had no proof of having been drugged.



He might just be sick. The longer he went without being ill in the toilet seemed to be proving that to him. Although, that span of time seemed equal to how much he’d eaten. He’d been less sick now that there was nothing in his stomach.



That hadn’t stopped the nausea from making him gag though.



He wondered if they could just leave Snape a note. They could explain their worries about Umbridge without Harry having to admit his confusion over whether or not anything had happened and that would ensure Snape gave his food and interactions with their new defense professor a watchful eye.



He couldn’t turn back now, not with Snape’s safety to worry about, but he desperately didn’t want for Snape to think of Harry as identical to his father.



“Let’s go.” Hermione said with a firm nod before taking the map back.



She slipped into the inky darkness without a second word and Ron followed her quickly. Harry took a moment to wonder when he’d stopped being the one to lead them into adventures before chasing after them.



Iron basket torches flared to life as they searched the winding hallways for Snape’s office. The dim light struggled against the oppressive darkness and hardly managed to brighten the space around them, to say nothing of the hallways. He didn’t fancy losing Ron and Hermione down here, though he supposed they’d find him quickly with the map. Harry stuck nearer to them in case as he internally composed the note.



He could slip it beneath the door and then Snape couldn’t say Harry was out after hours. He’d have no way of knowing when the note arrived there, especially if Harry said he’d woken early to write it. Then he’d just need to find concrete proof of Umbridge’s actions. His memory of the interaction could’ve served if Harry’d paid better attention, but that was over and done with.



He tossed a look around as he trailed Ron. Several narrow passageways spun off to his left and he was fairly sure the Slytherin Common Room was down the third crooked hallway.



Snape’s office was before the Common Room, wasn’t it?



He turned and stared back through the darkness. He belatedly realized they must’ve passed the hallway leading to his office and now were following the map directly to him. They were headed for his private chambers.



“Wait!” He cried in a strangled voice.



His heart thundered in his ears. Snape hadn’t given Harry permission to visit his private chambers. He’d said Harry could come to his office if he wanted or needed, but he’d never said anything about chambers. Harry had no way of knowing if this was appropriate or not, especially given that they were now at school and supposed to be discreet. Every hope he’d had of escaping this interaction died when he realized with utter surety that Snape would think he’d broken curfew and gallivanted through the castle without a second thought.



He was James in the flesh. He’d been back at Hogwarts for less than 24 hours and he’d already gone and cemented the impression that he was above school rules.



It was easy when he’d been six. Snape could see Harry as his own entity when he was in Germany and they played Gobstones or read, but at fifteen and back at Hogwarts, a place where he and Snape formed spectacularly bad impressions of each other, it wasn’t out of the realm of possibility that Snape might revert to tormenting him.



What if Snape thought Harry expected to get a free pass because of their new relationship? A pass that allowed Harry to abuse or break any school rule he liked, as though he was Malfoy?



Snape would be disgusted.



Usually Harry wouldn’t have cared whether or not he was the most well behaved, but now that Snape’s impression of him was on the line, he was hard pressed to ignore it.



To top it off, he still had no justifiable proof that Umbridge had done anything illegal. He couldn’t just give Snape an accusation, not against another professor. He knew how little his word had meant to Snape before August.



He never stood a chance.



Something soft brushed down his nose and he blinked through the gloom. A blurry, dark shape moved before him and he realized quickly that his glasses had disappeared at some point, though they were now set gently back onto his nose.



“Clever bit of magic, this.” Snape said as he held the map up for Harry to see.



He was still in his teaching robes. He didn’t look upset.



Harry blinked dumbly at him for a moment before turning toward the map. He couldn’t remember Snape having ever seen it in it’s full form before, as the last time Snape had been anywhere near it was in Harry’s third year and when pressed to reveal itself, it’d insulted him. Had he known it was a map then? He didn’t seem to have known before, though he supposed Snape was the sort to catch on quickly. He blinked several more times as Snape grasped his hand and gently tugged him from the dark hallway.



Hermione circled around Snape and stuck close by, having apparently been present the entire time, though Harry hadn’t been able to see her.



A sharp cramp bit into his stomach and he dreaded what had occurred in his panic.



“It was Umbridge.” Hermione began as they were shuffled into Snape’s Chambers. “Umbridge, you see. She’s done something, but I don’t know what and we’re very sorry, of course, very sorry, to disturb you so late at night, but we just weren’t sure about our next course of action, that is, I’m sure—”



“A moment, Miss Granger.” Snape said.



Harry could hear the slight annoyance at Hermione's too quick explanation.



He watched confusedly as he was led into a small sitting room, not unlike the one in Germany. He relaxed rather quickly when he saw one of Ms Eileen’s knit covers tossed over the back of a tufted black couch.



Snape sat him in the corner of the couch and handed him the knit cover before disappearing down a side hallway.



The three of them descended into an awkward silence, each as unsure as the last of what they should do.



Hermione slid slowly onto the couch next to Harry and cast a curious look around as she clasped her knees. Her eyes landed on the crammed bookshelves several times, though they always drifted away distractedly. Harry could almost see her mentally devising questions.



‘How do we safely accuse Umbridge? How do we avoid this happening a second time? Should we arrange a communication system?’



Harry shook his head and tried to push her voice from his head. He was sure they’d be on the receiving end of her thoughts when they returned to the Common Room.



“Erm.” Ron mumbled.



He fussed awkwardly with his sleeves and rocked back and forth on his heels. It looked as if he couldn’t decide if it was safe to look around Snape’s sitting room, so he chose instead to appear endlessly interested in the ceiling tiles. Harry vaguely remembered that neither Ron nor Hermione had been to Germany, or Spinner’s End and therefore hadn’t ever been around so many of Snape’s things. Although, Ron had been in Snape’s office enough times to recognize some of the mismatched bottles stuffed into the glass collections cabinets.



Harry had seen the vials as well, though he now thought of it as the medicine cabinet in Ms Eileen’s house.



“Never imagined we’d actually be in here, you know.” Ron said in a weak voice. “I sorta—” He coughed and his voice strengthened slightly. “Sorta imagined we’d have some, some meeting in the office.”



“He wasn’t there.” Hermione whispered as she shook her head. “I didn’t know what else to do.”



“We could’ve tried writing a note.” Harry said, silently berating himself for speaking at all. A note wouldn’t have solved anything and the dry look Hermione threw him told him she’d thought it was a stupid idea as well.



Snape swept back into the room, this time with a collection of vials sitting in a small try.



Harry eyed them and hoped his stomach wouldn’t interfere with anything they were meant to find. If he needed to drink them, that was. He wasn’t sure what any of them were either, despite the entire month he’d spent reading over potions catalogues and dusty tomes with Snape. Reading had been interesting enough at the time, though that was because Harry’d spent most of his time searching for increasingly ridiculous reactions to early iterations of brews and draughts. He wished he’d been paying more attention to the descriptors now that he faced a tray full of potions he couldn’t guess.



“From the beginning and with organized clarification.” Snape said with a dark look at Hermione as he sank onto a chair.



Hermione’s mouth opened and her voice cracked as she seemed to struggle to find the beginning.



“I wasn’t actually there,” She finally said after a moment and with an apologetic look at Harry. “I didn’t see anything.”



“Weasley?” Snape asked.



Ron flinched at the sound of his name, but shook his head ‘no’ as well.



Snape inhaled slowly before standing and heading toward a cluttered desk. He flicked his wand and summoned a scrap of parchment and ragged quill from the mess before giving Ron and Hermione an icy look. He scribbled something with a sharp movement and dried the ink with a wave of his wand.



“Do not abuse this.” He said silkily before passing Hermione the note and sitting again.



Ron looked as if his eyes were about to pop out of his head but he nodded. Hermione stood and looked twice at Harry, both times appearing to silently convey her hopes for him to be honest about what happened with Umbridge.



Harry blinked dumbly back. He still wasn’t sure what had happened in the meeting, so he couldn’t be very dishonest about something he wasn’t sure about, could he?



Hermione huffed and pushed Ron out the door.



Snape fell backwards against his chair and pinched the bridge of his nose. Despite all of Harry’s earlier worries, some more heart stopping than others which he didn’t fancy investigating at the moment, Snape didn’t seem angry.



Harry’d almost say Snape didn’t even look upset. He tugged at his cover and arranged it over himself, all the while wishing he could borrow it. He didn’t fancy returning to his dorm and sleeping with the burnt blanket. He wanted to know what Ron would tell the other boys about Harry’s disappearance, as well as what had happened between Ron and Seamus earlier in the evening.



“What did the pass say?” Harry asked after a moment.



He wondered if Ron would mention it to Neville or Dean.



“That the two of them had finished their prefect duties at a later hour than they’d anticipated.” Snape said. “It’s a standard pass given to students in leadership positions.”



Ron probably wouldn’t mention it.



“Merlin help them if they have any inclination toward abusing that privilege.”



Harry blanched as his earlier worries spun back to the forefront of his mind.



“We didn’t—I didn’t mean to break curfew.” Harry said quickly. “I’m not ignoring the rules and I don’t think I’m above them. I thought if I might leave a note instead but—”



Snape stood and circled the coffee table before settling next to Harry and tugging him into a hug.



Despite Harry’s growth in size, he consistently rediscovered that being hugged wasn’t radically different from when he’d been six. Snape’s long fingers slid over his back and slowly began pushing away the high strung tension thrumming through Harry.



“You haven’t broken curfew, nor have your friends. Average rules apply, but if you fear a Professor has drugged you, then that isn’t average and you are allowed to break curfew. In fact I'd prefer you break curfew anytime you fear something illegal or dangerous has happened. I trust you’ll know when it’s inappropriate otherwise.” Snape said softly. “Your friends behaved exactly as prefects are meant to, though, for other students within their house they should inform Professor McGonagall.” He added before leaning back and tucking the blanket tighter around Harry.



Harry wondered what had happened to stop him from being able to come to that conclusion himself. It made complete sense. He was well aware that normally, he wouldn’t have needed to have that explained to him, as it was rather like having someone explain how jumping in the lake led to getting wet. All the same, his earlier logic lingered in his ears, wondering how long Harry could get away with claiming he needed help before it became rule breaking and he became a degenerate delinquent.



In the back of his mind he could distantly hear Snape’s voice mentioning Harry struggling to tell when he was allowed to ask for help.



“I have a feeling that may take time to adjust to.” Snape said before summoning several scrolls of ragged parchment. “Regardless, I will always be thankful you’ve sought help.”



Something tightened along Harry’s throat and though he was still nauseous, he couldn’t help but relax into the sofa and feel safe.



“Now, try and explain what happened between you and Dolores Umbridge.”



Harry nodded and rifled through his pocket. He found the note Colin had delivered and passed it over, thankful that the pungent perfume had yet to fade. He wasn’t sure why he wanted it to continue to smell, but it felt oddly as if that helped fortify Harry’s accusation.



Snape’s nose wrinkled as he read the thin writing.



“When I got to her office, she made tea, I took a sip and then she asked me where I was for August.” Harry explained. “I didn’t answer or anything, I panicked. I don’t know how she could know. I don’t think Aunt Petunia ever mentioned the Ministry, but I couldn’t remember if you’d actually spoken with her after everything.”



Snape’s eyes narrowed and he flicked his wand, summoning several vials from the medicine cabinet.



“I didn’t speak directly with your aunt. What did Umbridge ask, exactly?” He asked. “Repeat verbatim if you can. Ministry workers are bound by specific laws and she’d be well aware of potential illegality in her behaviour.” He said before performing a series of tasks in quick succession. He drew a small amount of Harry’s blood into a vial and added a few drops into the collection of potions in the tray.



Harry tried to think of the specifics, but he found himself much more interested in watching Snape work. He poured a murky green tincture over the note, but Harry found his curiosity dulling as the note dampened, but failed to change. He’d hoped for a more exciting reaction.



He shook his head and tried to focus on Umbridge’s conversation.



She’d asked Harry where he’d been, but she’d said she was asking because the Ministry took his safety seriously. She’d mentioned Aunt Petunia, but she hadn’t remembered her name. Had she asked if Harry lived with Aunt Petunia or had she just stated that he did in fact live with her?



“I don’t think I remember her exact words.” Harry said as he folded his fingers into the blanket.



Snape flipped the note over and dabbed the tincture on that side as well. He explored a number of tests, some involving smelling, licking, and burning the note while Harry chased Umbridge’s voice in his thoughts. The more he guessed at her statements, the more unsure he became. He couldn’t decide anymore if she’d said Fudge was concerned or the Ministry was concerned, or if the difference was important at all.



“I just remember her being,” He paused and tried to shove away a shudder at how uncomfortable she’d made him. “Awful. There were a lot of ribbons.” He added, rubbing at his mouth at the phantom whisper of ribbons over his lips.



Snape paused and looked up as concern flashed across his eyes. “Try and relay the encounter, regardless.” He said before setting the note aside. “There are several methods we might use to search your memory, but we need to be cautious and careful about it. If she has drugged you, your memory might not show that. She may have altered your perception of events, thereby ruining the memory if it were ever brought up in court. That wouldn’t be unusual, the ministry has used that tactic before when they didn’t want to be caught. If Umbridge is clever she’d utilize several skills at once in order to achieve her goal.”



Ice shot through Harry as his stomach cramped and his mouth watered. He hadn’t imagined more than a few things happening at this meeting, it’d hardly lasted ten minutes. Trelawney had arrived too soon for Umbridge to have really done something, hadn’t she? Harry'd only had a sip of that perfumed tea as well, could a sip actually do so much damage?



“It would be better if we knew her goal, though that could be any number of things.”



He shoved his palm over his mouth and Snape’s wand swung upwards as he summoned a rubbish bin seconds before Harry sicked up.



Harry kept his head firmly near the bin as the soft sounds of Snape’s movements whispered past him. A cool breeze drifted over his neck and through his fringe, helping to ease the uncomfortable sweating that broke out over him. He worried mildly about having spat up bile once more and promised to ask if that was a symptom of being drugged.



He mentally struck that promise after remembering having been sick before meeting with Umbridge.



When he finally felt safe enough to look up, Snape had a calming draught in his hand.



“The absence of evidence is not definitive evidence of absence.” He said, handing the vial over. “We know the instance occurred. Your perception of it may be altered, but we have proof of an illicit meeting, however legitimate it may sound from the note.” Snape added as he held up the note once more.



Harry rolled the vial between his fingers and smiled to himself at the vague memory of Snape warning him about going catatonic if he swallowed a full dose when he’d been six.



He hadn’t given much thought to how memories of events worked, though he knew they weren’t always the most trustworthy things. He’d sworn up and down how he’d seen his father cast a patronus when Dementors descended on Sirius in his third year, only to find out it was actually himself who’d done the casting. So memories weren’t always reliable. Harry wasn’t sure how he felt about that thought when tied to Umbridge’s behaviour. He’d promised himself he’d be more careful around manipulators this term and he’d already been manipulated, less than a day in.



Manipulated by Umbridge no less. Her yowling China cats and fluffy pink rugs should’ve given him some advanced warning, but he’d been too thick to notice it and run away.



“The Ministry is well versed in covering its own tracks.” Snape added. “Much like Death Eaters, they’ll save their own necks first.”



Harry nodded and swallowed down the contents of the vial.



The anxiety tightening around his muscles released so suddenly that he dropped to the left and his last waking sight was of Snape blanching and shooting forward to catch him before he fell off of the couch.




——




Harry’s mouth was damp.



He tried to breathe, but found it strangely difficult. It felt as if he’d taken a bludger to the chest but had somehow avoided incurring any pain. He didn’t like it and prepared himself to shout about it, but before he could, his chest began expanding and he slowly inhaled, whisking away the uncomfortable out of breath feeling. He didn’t much like this either, but he supposed forced breathing was better than being unable to breathe.



He thought about sitting up to look around, but the pillow beneath him was too warm and comfortable for him to want to leave. Something began rumbling near his ear. Or maybe it rumbled near his face? He couldn’t guess where it was coming from and he felt a brief moment of panic until he realized it was Snape’s voice doing the rumbling.



If Snape was present, he was likely alright.



A different voice brushed over head, separating itself from the deeper one near Harry’s ear. Or face. He couldn’t place this second voice, nor could he fully tell it apart from Snape’s. It was softer, but it didn’t have the same ringing safety Snape’s voice had.



He wasn’t sure why it mattered if this second person was here, as he was quite comfortable where he was and everything seemed to be in hand.



Something smelling of lavender tickled along his nose and he thought of tipping off the couch in Snape’s Chambers. It was fairly hilarious after the fact, that Harry was so nervous he’d taken a bit of a calming draught and promptly tipped over. He laughed at the thought, or he tried to. It was especially difficult, given that he couldn’t very well force his lungs to do what he wanted when he wanted. He supposed it wasn’t awful though, he could wait his turn to laugh.



Did people usually wait turns when it came to laughing?



Long fingers carded through his hair and he realized with a bright feeling that he didn’t feel nauseous. He’d have thought he’d recognize not feeling ill sooner, but he guessed that if it wasn’t bothering him, it made sense for him not to bother with it.



“Rennervate!” The softer voice said.



A bright crimson light shot through Harry’s eyes and he jolted.



Dumbledore’s wizened face leant away from Harry’s, giving him ample time to flinch away, for all the good that it would do. He couldn’t seem to move very far.



Snape’s large hand slid over his back, soothing the sudden fright.



“Good evening, Harry.” Dumbledore said with what looked like a genuine smile. He didn’t seem to be planning to ship Harry back to the Dursleys that very second, but then, Harry’d never been good at guessing what Dumbledore was thinking. “You’re having a dreadful night, my boy. I’m very sorry for the mess.”



Harry huffed as he looked around for Snape and felt himself go numb after spotting the pillow he’d slept on and subsequently, Snape.



The reason he hadn’t been able to tell where Snape’s voice had come from, was because he was pressed against Snape’s chest. It’d come from all around him. He’d been bundled in Ms Eileen’s knit cover and his school jumper, which hadn’t been shrunk to fit his now far smaller frame and was loose enough to be entirely too vulnerable for any meeting with Dumbledore.



He wanted to go back to the foggy place and be blissfully unconscious.



This was a nightmare.



It couldn’t be real, it must’ve been a nightmare.



“It is my understanding that we can fix this on a temporary level.” Dumbledore said with a carefully calming gesture. “I know you are upset, Harry.”



“Upset!?” Harry shrieked.



His mum’s necklace hummed to life.



Upset scratched the surface of how he felt. Harry dearly wished to hurt Avery at that moment. He didn’t much care how he did it, he’d drown him in the lake or throw him from the high tower. If he could, he’d owl Charlie and ask him to bring back the Hungarian Horntail just to roast Avery alive. Harry couldn’t fathom being six years old again and at Hogwarts. He had bigger problems now, bigger problems like Ministry inquiries and women who looked like painted toads, Voldemort, Dumbledore himself, and Malfoy’s potential upcoming torment, which Harry could safely say was not going to be easy to ignore, given his current problem. A nearly imperceptible thought crept up the back of his mind, whispering that if Harry was six, Dudley was eleven.



“Perhaps, Albus, you can refrain from guessing how others feel without asking first.” Snape said as he ran a comforting hand over Harry’s back again.



Dumbledore folded his hands and nodded apologetically. “I’m sorry, Harry. Forgive me for assuming.”



“No.” Harry snapped.



“Harry,” Snape started softly as he tucked the knit cover tighter around Harry. Harry fell forwards before jerking back again as he realized with a humiliating curl that his mouth had been damp because he’d drooled over Snape’s shoulder. “This is only temporary. You were fifteen earlier today and you will be fifteen again soon.”



Harry couldn’t see how that was possible, given that he’d woken up six again.



“The important thing is that we’re aware of the issue.” Dumbledore said as he strolled past Snape’s bookshelves and toward the floo. “Both of the issues. I will take the matter with Dolores seriously and will be watching her carefully.”



The urge to spit something about how pathetic Dumbledore’s usual careful watches were raged in Harry, though he ignored it with herculean effort.



“Severus, do update me of any findings. I would stay and speak with you both, but I fear my presence will not facilitate a safe and calm environment. Good evening.” Dumbledore said before tossing a handful of floo powder in the fireplace and disappearing in a blaze of green fire.



Harry wanted more than anything to scream or throw something at that moment. He couldn’t decide which one might make him feel better. Screaming was certainly easier, but he felt throwing something and watching it break would be more cathartic. The small practice snitch Harry’d chased after in his mum’s flat and Germany fluttered from Snape’s pocket, reminding him, however distantly, that anger was a way for Voldemort to sneak into Harry’s thoughts. He didn’t think Voldemort would want to sneak into his thoughts at this particular moment, especially given the righteously, furious mess they were, but he forced himself to take a deep breath and re-evaluate the situation.



“This is temporary.” Snape said again, almost as if he were trying to convince himself more than Harry. “We have a method to bring you back to your correct age, it will just need to be administered routinely until a proper cure is brewed.”



“What about Dudley.” Harry asked, forcing himself to breathe slowly. “Won’t he wake up being eleven?” He asked. “He’s at Smeltings, they won’t know what to do about him.”



“Dumbledore is on his way to collect him. He’ll arrive before any muggles are made aware of your cousin’s condition.” Snape said with a quick look at his wristwatch. “He’ll have more time left at his appropriate age, given that he took the antidote several hours after you.”



Snape scrunched his eyes shut and he shook his head, seemingly at himself. A curtain of dark hair brushed over Harry’s ears.



“I thought it was just food poisoning.” Harry said miserably. He disliked the way he’d calmed upon hearing Dudley would be alright. He’d have liked to be angry about it for a while longer, however childish that may be. “I thought I’d eaten something and just couldn’t keep anything down.” The thought of Dudley likely having the same symptoms as Harry didn’t help either. He wasn’t cruel enough to want to keep food from Dudley. Afterall, Harry could go a lot longer without eating than him. “I went to Madam Pomfrey and she thought it was just an upset stomach, she waved her wand and checked and everything.” Harry added with a mimicked wave of his own.



“I’m glad you went to her, and that scan helps narrow down what might be occurring.” Snape said. “If her scan declared no obstructions then it may be your stomach having shrunk, closely followed by the surrounding organs.” He muttered beneath his breath before snatching the parchment and quill he’d been using previously and scratching out several bullet points. “Although, shrinking should’ve shown in a scan.”



Harry shoved his face into Snape’s shoulder, carefully avoiding the embarrassing damp patch.



“Will I be nauseous the entire time I’m fifteen then?” He asked.



Snape paused in his scribbling and dropped a hand over Harry’s head, steadily helping to push away his burning anger. Something that sounded curiously like himself at fifteen whispered persistently about keeping calm in the face of his bitter anger.



“There is a chance you might feel nauseous. You went two days without symptoms before this occurred, so the likelihood you’ll go two days again is high.” Snape said. “I have the antidote in my bag, though giving you it will be more akin to putting a plaster on a broken bone.”



Harry wished he had broken a bone. It’d be loads easier to fix.



“What now then?” He asked.



“Right now, I feel it would be best if we extracted the memories of your meeting with Umbridge and placed them in a Pensieve.”
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! d84; I will update fairly regularly.
Chapter 4 by WiCeBa
Harry frowned at his shrunken top. He was glad Snape lent him pyjamas, as sleeping in a shrunken version of his school uniform would’ve been particularly uncomfortable, to say nothing of how he felt wandering around in it. It reminded him of the horrendous commemorative bears Dudley’d received after finishing the school year when he’d been younger. How Aunt Petunia always found the time to purchase and sew a miniature school uniform onto a stuffed animal, Harry would never know.



He did know Dudley hadn’t cared about the bears, as they littered the bookshelves in what would become Harry’s room for years afterwards.



“You were quite sick all evening, going by these memories.” Snape said as he dropped Harry’s silvery memory into a glass phial.



Harry looked up and watched as the watery blue glow emanating from the Pensieve washed over Snape. He’d been quite nervous to show Snape the meeting, but after convincing himself of Snape’s inability to hear how unsure his thoughts had been at the time, he decided it would be alright. He had never heard anyone’s thoughts in the memory he’d accidentally fallen into last year, so he couldn’t imagine his own memories would be different. There were only two to speak of anyway. One featured Colin delivering the note and the other was of Harry and Umbridge.



“You haven’t managed to keep anything down since after breakfast then?”



Harry nodded and turned back to his top. “I had a few chocolates on the train, but the nausea came on around then.”



“I suppose we should find you something to eat before you go to sleep, then.” Snape hummed and tucked Ms Eileen’s blanket tighter around Harry before hefting him off of the counter and onto his feet. Harry trailed lazily behind as they made their way through Snape’s chambers, in search of what Harry assumed would be the kitchen. He looked idly around, though nothing held his interest for longer than a moment. His usual curiosity dulled in the face of his too young age and Umbridge’s meeting.



“Why can’t I take the antidote now?” He asked as the question sizzled in the back of his mind.



Snape had already explained the answer to this question once, but Harry couldn’t seem to let it go. The anger he’d felt earlier had mellowed, though it was replaced by a needling, irritating voice, begging again and again to ask until he received the antidote. A corner in his mind worried if he could truly whinge like this, as Aunt Petunia had crushed any urge to whinge before.



“If you take the antidote tomorrow morning, you’ll be fifteen for longer than if you took it now. Prolonging the effects will allow you ample time to retake the antidote when you next require it.” Snape answered calmly.



Harry huffed and fought the urge to ask again.



“Well, what did you think of Umbridge’s meeting then?” He asked instead. Snape had to have noticed something peculiar from Harry’s meeting.



They came to a sparse kitchenette, similar to the one in his mum’s flat. Harry climbed atop a stool and wondered how often Snape spent time here, because from what he could see in the glass cabinets, it looked as if he only had a few mugs and the bare essentials. He supposed that made sense, as Snape took a lot of his meals in the Great Hall.



“I have several thoughts, though I am unsure of what any of them could lead to.” Snape said. He turned quite suddenly and leant down, looking Harry firmly in the eye. “What I’m about to say is not a suggestion to invite yourself to tea with Umbridge, but without a sample of that tea, it’s unlikely I’ll be able to uncover its nature in a short amount of time. Your blood results will be useful. They may not yield much information though, given how quickly you expelled whatever may have been present. Contrarily, they may be quite useful, as some potions work from the moment they touch your lips.” Snape said with a quick flick of his wand. “What I find I am most alarmed by, is her phrasing.”



A banana sliced itself into pieces and dropped onto a plate, quickly followed by a small bowl of yoghurt and toast with cold cuts. A glass of water appeared and joined them seconds later.



Harry tucked in quickly, finding himself far more hungry than he’d realized at the sight of food.



“She stated that the Ministry ‘saw fit to check up on you’.” Snape said as he peeled a banana and ate as well. “As if the ministry had in fact checked on you. Tuney never mentioned it and if they had knocked on her door, we’d have known.”



Harry swung his feet back and forth as he debated Aunt Petunia speaking with the Ministry. She wouldn’t have bothered with lying about Harry’s whereabouts to officials, or he didn’t think she would, not if it meant getting a chance to hurt Harry or Dumbledore somehow. Snape had made a deal with her though, one that kept her silence in exchange for the fake of Lily’s necklace. She wouldn’t have gone back on their deal afterwards, would she?



He wasn’t sure if she’d actually found the necklace, he realized after a moment. Harry’d tossed it on the linoleum and ran without a second thought.



He’d been trying to escape Dumbledore though and had more pressing concerns to worry about.



“I’ll owl her and ask.” Snape said. “I’m not surprised she knew Tuney’s name, as the list of legal guardians is easily attainable for professors. I am left wondering who performed this welfare check and why you weren’t summoned with Tuney directly, if they had such good faith concerns.”



“Maybe they didn’t want to make a scandal?” Harry asked.



“Given your current defamation of character via the Daily Prophet, a scandal wouldn’t be unwelcome to them.” Snape said with a grimace.



Harry frowned and picked at his toast. It wasn’t as if he hadn’t been the subject of multiple, vicious Daily Prophet scandals, but he wished all the same they left him alone. Why anyone would be interested in his life was beyond him. They snooped and snitched on anything they could, despite Harry feeling as if he led a fairly uninteresting life. He could admit some of his experiences were newsworthy, but usually those weren’t the adventures reported on.



Sirius’s innocence for one, Harry felt should’ve made the front page. As well as his and Cedric’s experience in the graveyard. Cedric deserved to have the truth of his death blasted into every news source available.



He’d been violently murdered.



If Harry’d been murdered, he’d want everyone alive to know who’d done it and how to best defend themselves if they were attacked. Cedric didn’t deserve to be sidelined as a ‘sorry accident’. There’d been nothing accidental about his murder.



“Harry,” Snape’s soft voice broke through his thoughts. “I know yoghurt isn’t your favourite, but please try a few bites.”



Harry blinked upwards and spotted Snape holding a spoon out to him.



In truth, Harry rarely ate yoghurt. He hadn’t ever considered it to be something he either liked or disliked.



“Let’s turn our attention to a related issue.” Snape added as Harry took the spoon. “You’re attending a Defense lesson tomorrow, if I’m not mistaken, and we need a plan to ensure you are safe before, during and afterwards.”



Harry nodded. “I can stick close to Ron and Hermione and hopefully avoid attention?”



“Umbridge will likely attempt to coerce you into staying behind after class, as she may not have completed her goals with the last meeting.” Snape said with a raised eyebrow. “Your friends may be roped in.”



That stopped Harry cold. He despised the thought of Umbridge potentially drugging Ron and Hermione. They shouldn’t have to go through the same trapped, uncomfortable feeling Harry had experienced.



He imagined the phantom ribbons slipping around Ron and Hermione and shuddered.



“She may say any number of things to keep you after class. It may be a plea to assist her by collecting class materials or pass a note to another Professor. As it stands, she holds far more power over you than we can contend with currently.” Snape said. “Even if she retains you, we have no knowledge of her goals and therefore cannot begin to guess at what she will do afterwards.”



Harry nodded.



“What if you gave me a note, one that said I needed to do something directly after class?”



“She will negate it if she finds her own needs more pressing and she will find her needs more pressing.” Snape said.



“How’s that fair?” Harry asked, frustrated with the petty injustice.



“It isn’t. She’s shown herself as someone willing to use any means necessary to achieve her goal though.”



The Sorting Hat’s comments echoed in Harry’s ears. He supposed it made sense for Snape to be more skilled when handling the sort of ruthless person Umbridge was turning out to be, but Harry had these qualities as well, didn’t he? Why else would the hat have wanted to place him in Slytherin?



“What should I do then? Skip class?” Harry asked with a shrug.



“That wouldn’t be a good idea either, as she would have a reason to call you to another individual meeting.” Snape said as his eyes slipped upward and searched silently in thought.



Harry dropped his head onto the counter and lamented his life. He had a feeling nothing would work and it looked more and more like he’d be sitting in on another horrible meeting sometime soon. At least this time he’d know better than to drink the tea. He felt very much like wallowing in pity at the moment and quite possibly crying about it.



Snape carded a hand through his hair.



“Your Godfather addressed this issue rather succinctly, the last time we came to it.” He sighed. “I believe he said something to the effect of, ‘it is difficult to keep you safe, though that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try’.” Snape whispered before sweeping an arm beneath Harry and tugging him carefully up against chest.



“It feels impossible.” Harry said in a small voice. He pushed his face into the fabric at Snape’s neck.



They lingered in the kitchenette, letting the quiet space surround them.



Every mess Harry’d gone through today seemed to compound on top of each other and sink into his bones, leaving him more exhausted by the second. He wished fervently to return to Germany again, though he realized he couldn’t continue wishing to escape back there at every ounce of trouble. That mindset wouldn’t help him find solutions. If anything, it might hide solutions by holding him in more pleasant memories, rather than pushing him to solve the problem.



He desperately wanted the problem with Umbridge to disappear on its own though.



Why had the Ministry chosen to intervene now? Why hadn’t they checked on him in the ten years before he’d received his Hogwarts letter?



The necklace warmed, though it didn’t help.



Harry scoffed internally and answered his own question in a bitter voice. His childhood had not been worth Ministry intervention because Harry wasn’t a problem at the time. Now that he was a problem, and a loud one at that, they’d found the time to check in on him. It made for a ridiculous double standard.



He had the sudden urge to scream at Umbridge or threaten to tie her to a tombstone. She wouldn’t be denying his story if she’d experienced even half of it.



He only sank further into Snape at that thought and tried to tell himself she wasn’t worth this level of anger. He didn’t like Umbridge, but no one should have to go through what Harry had last spring.



A cold voice argued at the back of his mind, whispering contrarily.



She had trapped him in a false meeting. That was obvious, even more so with the unpleasant feeling of ribbons slipping persistently over his lips. She deserved to pay for that, didn’t she?



Harry shook his accusations off and forcibly reminded himself that, aside from potentially drugging him, something they still had no proof of, all she’d really done was sit him down for an incredibly uncomfortable meeting.



If he’d suffered any dangerous after effects, they hadn’t appeared. Harry assumed after effects were the sort of thing to appear quite quickly as well and was sure he’d been largely fine. He seemed fine at least.



“Even if it feels impossible, it may not actually be so. You’ve performed several previously entitled impossible feats.” Snape said softly. “Thereby proving that the impossible, is not always so.” His hand curled over the back of Harry’s head. “I believe a convenient distraction will be useful enough for our immediate needs, in this case.” He gently nudged Harry from his hiding place. “You may thank the elder two Weasley’s, for their synonymous relation to the word ‘difficult’.” He added, pulling a small purple fire-cracker from his pocket.



Harry blinked dumbly at it before swinging his head to look up at Snape.



“You’re giving me permission to throw a fire-cracker?” He asked in shock.



“I’m allowing you to return it to the elder two Weasley’s.” Snape said. “You’ve already been targeted and don’t need a second investigation. Instruct them to throw it just before the bell rings and to aim for a window in the hallway near the Defense classroom.”



Harry shook his head as the urge to laugh bubbled in him.



“I thought you hated this sort of thing!”



“During a potion’s lesson, yes,” Snape said as his eyes darkened warningly causing Harry to quickly swallow his laughter. “It can cause cauldrons to explode and dangerous fumes to erupt, fumes which will corrode anything they come in contact with.” He said. “Whether that is the precious throats of those present or the expensive ingredients they’re using, it destroys indiscriminately.



“I—I haven’t—”



“I’m not in a position to be punishing previously dangerous behaviour. If it happens again, there will be consequences.” Snape said silkily. “However,” He held up the fire-cracker again. “In a hallway with no potentially reactive substances, aside from your dim-witted classmates, this is not deadly. It serves to both distance you and allow the perpetrators to slip into the crowd that will no doubt be summoned by the sound. You in turn, must flee the instant the fire-cracker goes off. Umbridge may attempt to retain you regardless, and you mustn’t let her.”



Harry supposed he could see the logic in this idea, though he also wondered if it was more in line with Sirius’s style of thinking rather than Snape’s.



There was something inherently childish about tossing fire-crackers as a distraction, but Harry guessed that only helped strengthen their argument. No one would track it back to Snape and none of the students within Umbridge’s classroom could be accused.



“You stole this from Fred and George?” Harry asked as he took it from Snape.



“I confiscated it from them this afternoon.” Snape replied. “Along with several other contraband items. You’d think they’d never experienced a raid on their person with how they carried on.” He added before taking Harry down a hallway.



Harry took a brief moment to silently apologize to Fred and George for Snape’s raid, but realized they’d already exacted their revenge by giving Snape his nickname.



He couldn’t take ‘Ruffles’ from them now.



“What if they don’t want to throw it? What if they do throw it and get in trouble?”



“I’ll request their services for any potential detention. Umbridge will likely grant it.”



“Why?” Harry asked as they came to a small bedroom. “Why don’t you just come and distract Umbridge? Or Dumbledore, since he knows about it.”



He recognized Snape’s dressing gown as well as the stack of books he often kept by his bedside. His bedroom was a fair bit neater than the sitting room, but seemed less lived in. Harry wondered if house elves cleaned private chambers or if professors thought of that as an invasion of privacy?



“Umbridge believes I will be a great source of assistance in the future and I, in turn, aspire to be so.” Snape said with a sneer before slowly setting Harry on the bed. “I would rather she think of me as useful, as that may encourage her to listen when I speak.” He added quickly at Harry’s shock.



Harry shook his head on principle. He didn’t enjoy the thought of Umbridge liking Snape’s company.



“I cannot distract her without raising her suspicions. Should I appear at the end of your first class and request you, she may surmise that I have been informed of her actions, specifically as the Professor who would most likely be able to identify what potions she used. Equally so with Dumbledore. We don’t have much room to maneuver against the Ministry at the moment. With evidence, we will have something substantial.”



Harry huffed and threw himself into the pillow.



The urge to cry hit him again when he realized his word wouldn’t be taken seriously on the basis of his recent ‘lies’ about Voldemort. He just couldn’t avoid being deemed a liar, could he?



“These problems, while important, are not world ending. They will be here in the morning, as will you. Now, help me clear my mind.” Snape whispered and pulled Ms Eileen’s knit up around Harry’s shoulders. The urge to complain and remind Snape of how much better he was at Occlumency than Harry was washed over him, but he inhaled slowly and forced himself to relax.



This had been routine in Germany and it was easy for Harry to fall into the steps.



“You have to lay down first.” Harry grumbled from where he’d shoved his face into the pillow. “And then shut your eyes, it doesn’t work unless you’ve done those.”



Snape hummed. “Yes, and then?”



“Picture yourself flying,” Harry said as he imagined himself on his firebolt almost against his will. “Through calm skies. Nothing else should matter.” He added. He could feel himself sinking into the mattress. He hadn’t ever considered falling asleep in the dungeon’s before, but he found it wasn’t so different from the tower.



There were no stars to see, but it felt safe and warm, in spite of its location.




——




“Harry!” Hermione’s voice echoed excitedly as she hurried closer to where he sat. A dreadful looking Ron followed behind at a far more sleepy pace.



The Great Hall bustled happily, if quietly around them. Only the truly early risers were awake yet, which normally wouldn’t have included Harry, or Ron for that matter, but Snape hadn’t wanted Harry caught wandering the dungeons by any roaming Slytherins. He woken, been returned to his proper age and sent to the Great Hall in a prompt way that reminded Harry almost of how Aunt Petunia used to prepare Dudley for primary school when they’d been younger.



“There you are,” Hermione said with a smile before sitting and tugging Ron into a seat next to her and throwing up the privacy spell they’d learnt. “We were so worried, Ron and I. What happened after we left last night? Ron says you never made it back to the dormitory. I checked all over for you this morning as well, which may have alarmed Neville, though I did apologize.” She said very quickly. “Do you have time to visit the library before class? I wanted the three of us to check out some books after we had a bit of breakfast, so we’re well informed of any unpleasant reactions from Umbridge’s tea.” She said, miming for Harry to pass her some milk. “Of course, without anything to go off of it’ll be rather like a needle and haystack I presume, but at least it’s something.”



Harry smiled and passed her the cream. Several yawning Ravenclaws filed in and gave them a wide berth and a dirty look.



“Sure,” He said as he leant over a tepid mug of tea. “You don’t have any idea of what you’re looking for?”



“Well, I had thought to ask Ruffles, seeing as it's their area of expertise, but I hadn’t composed a list at the time and I know how they hate disorganized questioning. I have one now though, if you think they’re available.” She said, looking longingly at the doorway before turning back to Harry. “Speaking of, did you find anything out last night?”



Harry nodded and grimaced. Hermione grimaced sympathetically and Ron slumped forwards with a groan.



“The antidote I took over the summer failed.” Harry whispered, feeling he wanted to get that over and done with quickly.



Hermione coughed around her coffee and waved at her burnt tongue.



“Merlin’s balls.” Ron moaned as his head hit the table. “What’s that make it then, three things to watch out for? Four? We’re gonna need a bloody list before the day is out.”



“But you’re alright now, aren’t you?” Hermione asked as her eyes flashed over Harry’s face.



“I’m fine, just frustrated.” Harry said, waving off her concerned look. “Dumbledore knows as well, though he said it had a temporary fix. That’s what all the nausea was.” He added before pulling the fire-cracker from his pocket. Ron perked up at the sight and looked curiously at Harry. “And I showed Ruffles the memory, but they weren’t sure of anything concrete that happened. They’re looking into it.”



“So, what’s that got to do with the fire-cracker?” Ron asked. “Are we celebrating something good having happened?”



Harry shook his head ‘no’. “Ruffles said we’d need a distraction before the end of Defense in case she tries to keep me after class. They said to give it to Fred and George and ask them to throw it at a window just as the bell rings.”



“Wicked.” Ron said before snatching it up.



“Is that,” Hermione furrowed her eyebrows. “Is that wise?”



“Don’t second guess the man Hermione, he knows what he’s on about.” Ron said as he pocketed the fire-cracker. “I’m on it, aim it at a window you say?”



Harry nodded.



“But they said Fred and George should be the ones to do it, probably on account of you being in the classroom with me.”



Ron frowned, but nodded and turned toward a pile of pancakes.



“Do you suppose we should begin investigating now, rather than later?” Hermione asked with a worried look. “Seeing as we have a few more pressing things that have been added to our growing list of concerns for this term?”



“You—” Ron paused around a mouthful. “You said we could eat breakfast first.”



“Well yes, but,” Hermione glanced at Harry before her shoulders dropped and she grabbed a bowl of oatmeal. “I guess you’re right. We should eat first.”



Owls soared in overhead and dropped packages and bundled newspapers to students throughout the Great Hall. Hermione tossed a look at them, seeming to wait for her own copy of the Daily Prophet, though Harry dearly wished she’d end her subscription. He didn’t want to see whatever they saw fit to print for the day, as it only stressed him out. He didn’t even like the news near him, as he knew he’d end up peeking over to read what was written.



He supposed Hermione liked to keep Rita Skeeter on her toes though.



A fluffy grey owl with a wrapped package clutched in its claws, sailed toward them and dropped a box just beneath Harry’s nose as a larger barn owl threw the Prophet at Hermione.



He watched Hermione quickly set to work untying the news and shaking it out before turning and staring dumbly at the package before him.



Harry realized with a sudden jerk that he’d yet to write Sirius about everything that’d happened. He didn’t think Snape would have written Sirius, nor did he think Aunt Petunia would have received Snape’s owl or mailed anything to Harry in the short time that occurred between yesterday and this morning. He untied the butchers paper with nervous fingers and found a small box with mini treacle tarts stacked one on top of the other inside. A note accompanied it, which Harry snatched quickly.



H,



The first day back can be tough. Things might look a little sweeter with these.



The unofficial Gobstones Champion of 1995.



Harry stared at the note as a warmed feeling stole through him. He wondered if Snape had owled Ms Eileen and explained what’d happened, but he didn’t know how she could’ve prepared this in the time it would’ve taken for Snape’s owl to arrive and her’s to depart.



To say nothing of the late hour everything had happened at.



“Who are these from?” Hermione asked after lowering the paper and blinking curiously at the tarts. “I hope not some admirer, I worry about people sending you—”



“They’re from Ms Eileen.” Harry answered softly.



Hermione paused before brightening. “That’s lovely of her, I wonder if she’s made them herself?”



Harry shrugged and plucked one out. “She didn’t say, do you want to share one with me?”



The three of them cut into the tart and slowly made their way through the rest of breakfast. Despite Hermione’s persistent urging, they hadn’t managed to make it to the library before their first lesson began. McGonagall came around with their schedules and hummed ‘good mornings’ up and down the long tables.



She gave a rare smile to Hermione, though Harry wasn’t sure why that was until he saw her crammed timetable.



They collected their bags and made for where Fred and George lolled near the far end of the Great Hall. The two groused a ‘hello’ as Harry quickly relayed the instructions Snape had asked of them, to which Harry was at once both shocked but unsurprised to discover how seriously they took their appointed task. They looked delighted at the prospect of detention with Snape in the event it occurred, though Harry half worried their excitement was directly related to how much they could torment him with his new nickname.



He almost asked them not to tease Snape too much, as he wasn’t sure how much Snape would put up with for Harry’s sake.



Harry loved Fred and George and it wasn’t a stretch for him to easily accept their joking nature. Snape had never mentioned having any fondness toward them though, unlike Dumbledore, who’d previously alluded to having a soft spot for their antics.



This line of thinking only led to confusion over Dumbledore’s true alliances though and Harry had more immediate worries to think on.



They navigated the castle and attended their early morning classes, splitting with Hermione whenever her electives required. Harry and Ron were distraught to discover that their usual pastime of exploring the castle or visiting Hagrid on their downtime was quickly nipped in the bud by the steadily amassing amount of homework. They nearly managed to make a break for the Quidditch Pitch, but Flitwick spotted them and questioned their upcoming essay topics just before Trelawney remarked about dream journals coming due and they realized, with a horrible feeling, that their fifth year at Hogwarts was going to be far more involved than their previous years.



It wasn’t until they met back with Hermione that they’d found the time to discuss Umbridge once more.



“I really wish you would’ve let me throw the fire-cracker.” Ron said as they made their way toward the Defense classroom. He shouldered through waves of rushing students and cut a narrow path for Hermione and Harry to trail. “It’s unfair, that is. Teacher sanctioned misbehaviour and I’m not allowed in. That could’ve been a bloody dream come true.”



“It isn’t unfair. I think it’s much safer for you to avoid the trouble.” Hermione reasoned. “I’m not sure we should be encouraging Fred and George to get involved either.”



“Doesn’t mean I have to like it.” Ron said. “We’re only a day in and look at what Umbridge has already accomplished. I reckon she deserves to have a bit of trouble and I want to cause her some.”



Hermione shook her head as Harry nodded a silent agreement with Ron. He didn’t fancy landing a second meeting with Umbridge in the event he was caught, but a quiet voice asked if it might be useful to their investigation. Snape had told Harry quite specifically not to invite himself to tea, but the opportunity to collect whatever she might’ve used to drug him was almost too good to pass up.



He didn’t want to directly disobey Snape though. He needed to remember Snape’s good opinion of Harry was on the line in any potentially troublesome situation, so Harry would endeavor to be as well behaved as he could.



They turned right and entered the Defense classroom and Harry almost did a double take at the state of the room. While there were no taffy-pink ribbons or fluffy rugs to be seen, it somehow managed to shout that Umbridge had been and gone and taken absolute control of the classroom. The walls lay bare around them and the desks sat in rigid, impossibly neat rows, each looking picture perfect and as if they’d just been built. Only the ornate desk at the head of the classroom and on a short platform, held any signs of life, though Harry couldn’t tell what all she’d displayed.



He clearly spied two neat stacks of the textbook they’d been assigned. Defensive Magical Theory by Wilbert Slinkhard, an author who Hermione had railed against on the train ride yesterday.



He swallowed heavily and made his way toward one of the perfect rows of desks.



It wasn’t that all of Hogwarts’s desks were damaged or shabby, but there had always been an element of who had come before carved into the worn wood. Old signatures or burn marks peppered the desks, as had hearts with the initials of students in love, or scratched out lists of nasty insults. Harry’d searched religiously for signs of James and Sirius in many of the desks he’d sat in. He’d even searched for Lily, though he doubted she’d have defaced furniture.



Ron’s favourite desk had been one with several exam answers carved into the frame, though if Harry remembered rightly, the false Mad-Eye Moody blasted those off just before they’d sat an exam.



“You don’t suppose she’ll tailor the classroom to what she’s teaching, do you?” Hermione whispered. “I’m just—there’s hardly anything in here. We’re in the right classroom, right?” She rifled through her book bag and drew out her schedule to make sure.



Ron didn’t bother checking, he pointed toward the stack of books on the desk with raised eyebrows.



Their initial reactions were echoed by most everyone else who entered, though some of them managed to keep their confusion quiet. Whispers broke out and guesses were made about what sort of person Umbridge would be. A sense of dread washed over Harry as the school bell rang and the door behind them slid shut. Despite no evidence of anything having happened at the meeting he’d attended yesterday evening, he wasn’t keen to be trapped in another room with Umbridge.



He wondered if the classroom door locked.



Umbridge appeared shortly after from a small connected doorway and gave a small smile to the whispering class.



She wore the same fluffy pink cardigan as she had the evening before. Harry almost felt nauseous at the sight. He wondered what she thought of him and what she’d taken away from their meeting. She hadn’t tried to keep Harry after he’d been sick in her office and Harry now wondered if that meant she’d somehow succeeded with what she’d tried to do.



“Hem hem.” Umbridge coughed, seeming to expect the class to silence their hissed conversations, though that was unlikely. She didn’t have the same sternness McGonagall carried herself with, nor the terror Snape instilled. She folded her hands around her stubby wand and stepped neatly toward the black board. “Hem hem.” She coughed again.



This time the whispers faded, though Harry couldn’t guess if it was out of curiosity or annoyance.



“I must say, it is quite pleasant you’re all so prompt. I have found myself more and more delighted at this student body’s etiquette today.” She said as she tapped the board with her wand and made several bullet points appear. “We shall address some of our course aims for this next term today as well as begin our lesson, but I would be remiss if I didn’t introduce myself first.”



Ron tossed Harry a miserable look as Umbridge strolled around to the front of her desk and gave them the same small smile she had when she entered. Harry wondered uncomfortably if she had pins in her cheeks that held the expression in place, as it looked at once both highly forced but as if it was constantly present.



He couldn’t guess why she’d want to have that look on her face all the time. It didn’t seem to offer any comfort to those around her.



“I am Dolores Umbridge, the Senior Undersecretary to the Minister for Magic and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. You may call my Professor Umbridge. I have walked the same halls as you, when I was a student. I experienced both an enjoyable and very orderly education and am delighted to be a shining example of what a well rounded individual can achieve, when they are properly educated and safely monitored.”



She waved her wand in a short, aborted movement and sent the textbooks sailing from her desk.



“I want to stress this aspect of safety, as I am aware that your education in this subject has been, shall we say, tumultuous?” She asked and stepped nearer to them as she made her way down the middle aisle.



Harry watched the book as it landed on his desk. It didn’t look dangerous, nor did it look very inviting though. It reminded him of the cheap catalogues he’d seen in Diagon Alley. The ones professing to teach readers with no previous experience, how to become dueling champions in a short 30 to 40 pages.



This one looked no different, though it had a smiling wizard on the cover who appeared to be deeply embroiled in his reading.



“Now, who would like to read our first course aim written on the board?” She asked.



Most of Harry’s classmates stared blankly, as if they wondered if she truly wanted them to parrot the bullet points, but Umbridge only asked again.



“Come now, someone amongst you should have a bit of courage to speak up on your first day.”



Hermione’s hand slipped into the air.



“Ah,” Umbridge gave her the small smile. “And you are, dear?”



“Hermione Granger, Professor. I have a question actually, if you don’t mind—”



“We’re reading from our course aims at the moment Miss Granger, you will have time to ask questions later. Now, since you so kindly raised your hand, why don’t you read our first goal here.”



Ron’s eyes met Harry’s again.



Hermione’s jaw clicked audibly, but she put her nose in the air and said in a clear voice. “Understanding the principles underlying defensive magic.”



“Well done, Miss Granger, I think that display of courage is worth five points to Gryffindor, don’t you.”



Hermione coloured in embarrassment and Harry felt a distinct urge to defend her. If he thought she’d appreciate it, he likely would have.



By the look Ron gave her, he’d thought of that well.



“Now, why don’t you describe to me what you think these principles might be.” Umbridge said as her pink heels cracked across the floor and she made her way toward the desk once more.



“According to Mr Slinkhard?” Hermione asked.



“Why, who else would we concern ourselves with?” Umbridge asked. She climbed the small step onto the platform and stood over them before giving Hermione an expectant look.



Hermione inhaled deeply and looked to have compartmentalized several things at once. “According to Slinkhard, there’s never an instance when one should be forced to enact potential harm on another when an Auror can be summoned.”



“Well done Miss Granger, now—”



“Wait, does this mean we won’t be practicing defensive spells?” Dean asked suddenly. “Is this a law class, or a defense class?”



Professor Umbridge turned toward Dean and gave him a sweet look. “Please raise your hand when you’d like to speak and don’t forget to give me your name, we will be studying defensive magic this term, never fear—”



“But will we be practicing it?” Lavender asked with a suspicious look.



Her eyes flashed to meet Parvati’s and they shared a look of horror.



“We have O.W.L’s at the end of the school year! Not everyone here can get it all from the book!” Parvati hissed with a sour look at Hermione.



“Hem hem.” Umbridge coughed and pulled the class attention back to her. “Now, I do not answer questions without raised hands. I thought this year had better manners, but I am finding myself very disappointed in you. You girls, your names?”



“Brown and Patil.” Lavender groused as she pointed toward herself and Parvati as she said their last names.



“Well, Misses Brown and Patil, we will be studying defense. This wouldn’t be much of a class without that all important word, would it?” Umbridge asked. “Now, who would like to read our second course aim?”



“I disagree with your first aim, Professor.” Hermione said with a determined look.



“You disagree with Mr Slinkhard’s foundational principles?” Umbridge asked as her eyes flashed toward Hermione and a small glint of steel seemed to appear behind them. “You disagree with summoning an Auror when someone has committed a crime?



“I didn’t say that.” Hermione said. “Rather, I meant that there are plenty of Aurors who are unable to be obtained at a reasonable time—”



“Have you ever summoned an Auror, Miss Granger?” Umbridge asked with a determined sweetness. “They have an unparalleled arrival time. In fact, the Ministry keeps a tight standard of—”



“Yes I have, Professor.” Hermione said firmly, speaking over Umbridge. “I have summoned Aurors before, unfortunately the one I summoned happened to be a De—”



Umbridge laughed a clear, sharp note, silencing Hermione. Harry didn’t need to hear her thoughts to know Hermione was discussing the false Mad-Eye Moody, or Barty Crouch Jr. He wasn’t sure when Hermione had attempted to get him, but he was all the more worried about what had happened with it now.



“You must be referring to the mix up that occurred last term, dear girl.”



“Mix up? I don’t think there was a mix up,” Ron said with a dark look. “Professor.” He added belatedly.



Umbridge’s eyes flashed toward him. “And you are?”



“Weasley.” Ron said as he stuffed his clenched fists into his pockets. His ears burned a bright red and his back went rigid the longer Umbridge cast her small smile to him.



“Well Mr Weasley, do you think you’re more informed than a Ministry official?” She asked. “Do you have official credentials? Do you receive official updates?”



“I don’t need an official update to know a De—”



“Ah, but you do.” Umbridge said as she swept nearer to Ron and leant over his desk. “If you don’t know all of the facts—”



“Ask me then,” Harry snapped. “I’m pretty well aware of all of the facts.”



His heart dropped out as his mouth ran ahead of him. The necklace flared to life and felt nearly as if it could burn a hole through Harry’s uniform. He wasn’t meant to make waves in this class. Snape had made that fairly obvious by all of their planning the night before and Harry’d gone and ruined it in a split second with his mouth.



“Ah, Mr Potter, I do believe we have discussed this, haven’t we?” Umbridge asked. “You informed me quite clearly, though I can’t remember how you phrased it, help me out, dear. From what you told me, there’s nothing to fear.”



Exhaustion blanketed over Harry’s body, coming out of nowhere. The ribbons he’d felt before slipped over his jaw and fought to push past his lips. They rushed over his skin, steadily growing hotter and moving quicker the longer he kept his mouth shut.



“I just—” He whispered as the classroom went hazy for a brief second. He tried to deny what she said and shake his head ‘no’, but his head lolled on his shoulders.



Hermione’s eyes widened and she looked terrifiedly between Harry and Umbridge.



“I—”



“Yes, dear?” Umbridge asked from atop the platform.



Harry rocked forward and finally managed to shake his head ‘no’ as sweat ran down his neck.



“Oh come now, no need to be shy.” Umbridge said as she turned her horrible small smile on him. “Do tell the class.”



“I shouldn’t have spoken out, I just haven’t, haven’t f-found—”



Harry’s jaw was forced open and the ribbons careened inside. They slid into every available space and Harry worried he wouldn’t be able to breathe if he didn’t get them out. He knew innately what he needed to say in order to be able to breathe again, though he didn’t know how he knew that and he tried to swallow the words down instead. He pushed himself to pass out before he said another word, but the longer he waited, the more he realized the ribbons let up every few seconds, allowing in a small amount of air to ensure he wouldn’t faint.



“I just haven’t found my feet.” He croaked.



Umbridge gave a joyous wiggle and giggled. “You see?” She asked the class. “There is nothing to fear and no facts to worry about, because nothing happened last term.”
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading such a long chapter! I hope you enjoyed it and if you did, please leave a comment below! d84;
Chapter 5 by WiCeBa
Horror flooded Harry as the classroom shrank in on him.



His heart hammered in his chest and he inhaled greedily, though he despised every desperate breath. The ribbons receded from his throat and mouth in slow, slippery movements until they hardly brushed his skin at all. The last he felt of them was a soft sweep over his jaw and then they drifted away entirely.



“Now, these distractions can’t be allowed to come in the way of our lesson. Who would like to read the second course aim?” Umbridge asked.



Her voice faded into murky sounds until Harry could no longer hear anything beyond a blurred murmur.



The oppressive buzzing he’d experienced before in Umbridge’s office seemed to swing into full force. The sound rattled over his skull and Harry wasn’t sure if this was Umbridge’s doing as well, or if he was actually mad and losing it. He’d have to be mad to have given into what Umbridge wanted.



He’d never given in like that before, certainly not of his own free will. He’d gotten himself into trouble with Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon, or any awful person who felt they could force Harry into saying or doing something and no matter how many times they’d threatened him or done exactly as they’d threatened to, Harry’d never given in. He hadn’t given in even when subjected to the Imperious curse, despite the curses controlling nature.



He’d never given in.



Sweat dripped down his back and soaked uncomfortably into his button down. His head still rolled over his shoulders, though the exhaustion blanketing through him seemed to be letting up.



A thought split in two in his head, diverging in one direction and whispering angrily about Cedric’s murder and the callous, cruel cover up Umbridge was engaging in, while the other remained entrenched in Harry’s bitterness and hissed about his treatment at Umbridge’s hands. Harry struggled to give his full attention to either of them, as they warred in his ears and argued about their shared injustice.



At once, both opinions swung back and collided in a tangled web of confusing, righteous and selfish complaints.



Cedric’s death was being side-lined again, despite Harry’s desperation that his murder be announced and action be taken. His own hopes were being thrown aside again as well, as Umbridge seemed far more concerned with Harry’s loud pleas than any action by the government. That shouldn’t have come as such a shock, no matter how disgusted Harry felt about it. He knew intimately how incompetent the Ministry was, given their behaviour in the last few years surrounding the opening of the Chamber of Secrets and it’s bloody history, Sirius’s escape and innocence and Harry’s involvement in a deadly tournament, followed by his and Cedric’s kidnapping.



The statute of underage wizardry should’ve alerted the Ministry to Harry’s whereabouts that night in the graveyard, shouldn’t it? Harry had clearly been off school grounds and performed magic, so why hadn’t anyone come leaping to his rescue? He’d illegally performed magic in a muggle graveyard. The last time he’d illegally performed magic in a muggle area, he’d received a howler shortly after the fact.



Voldemort had attempted to murder him as well, which should’ve been taken seriously.



If they had any inclination to help him, they’d have taken his memories, given him Veritaserum, or inspected Cedric’s own body to help corroborate Harry’s story. Instead, they’d cried foul and hidden within self-imposed blindness, hoping against hope that Harry’d been wrong. When Harry’s ridiculous fame led to his story’s presence and they couldn’t afford to ignore it, they’d responded with Umbridge.



‘She succeeded in silencing the truth, no matter what her goal had been,’ Hissed the bitter voice. ‘She spun a web and ensnared the one person loud and stupid enough to fall into it.’



Harry no longer worried about her keeping him after class. If she did, it would likely be to gloat and he’d sooner fall over and suffer through the choking ribbons than speak to her again. In fact, he’d prefer to choke to death, rather than endure her nastiness for a moment longer. He couldn’t decide if she’d enjoy him dying by choking on his breath, or if she’d prefer to watch him suffer, as she seemed the type to enjoy watching people break.



‘That’s just it though, isn’t it?’ Whispered the angry voice. ‘Whether or not she’d prefer death or suffering, she’d acted.’



Harry hardly understood this second voice and he couldn’t fathom what it guessed at. He wondered belatedly about his inability to fully understand his own thoughts when the angry voice whispered again.



‘Proof.’



A thunderous explosion shuddered through the classroom and forced Harry sluggishly from his thoughts.



Discordant confusion erupted in him and he felt as if he couldn’t tell left from right. His eyelids drooped despite his desperation to look around and figure out what was happening. He nearly worried he wouldn’t be able to avoid being crushed beneath what was surely the ceiling caving in, but a bushy head of hair flew past him and ensnared his arm, wrenching him from his seat and onto his feet.



“Out!” Hermione shouted over the noise. “Out now!”



He twisted his head with a weak tilt and spotted Ron, whipping his wand in a neat twirl and sending parchment in every direction.



“They brought down a bloody wall!?” Ron bellowed as they bolted from the classroom. “You’d think they were being intentionally thick!”



“It doesn’t matter!” Hermione answered over her shoulder.



Her tight grip on Harry’s sleeve never faltered and she led them on a mad race through the winding passageways and connecting hallways. Their shoes cracked over the stone floor and a high-pitched sound whistled in Harry’s ear, making him worry he wouldn’t be able to keep up with Hermione’s quick movements. He was struggling to stay upright, to say nothing of keeping his feet moving beneath him. Harry belatedly realized she was avoiding wide corridors and stairways by taking an increasingly complicated route.



“In here!” Hermione hissed breathlessly, guiding them toward a dusty, unused classroom and throwing herself and Harry inside. “I don’t—” She inhaled desperately. “I don’t think we were followed, but check the door, will you?”



“Looks clear,” Ron said, equally out of breath. “I thought I saw Neville chase after us for a while, but I think we lost him on the second floor.” He added before tugging the door shut and locking it with a whisper and wave of his wand. He dropped his and Harry’s bags on the floor and fell forward, holding his knees as he tried to catch his breath.



Harry twisted and dropped weakly into a chair.



He’d lost time again. He’d fallen into his thoughts and been forced out in a deeply uncomfortable way, as his brain still seemed to be firing into a foggy and stupid part of himself. Snape hadn’t ever given a name to this phenomenon Harry experienced, but he’d been able to draw Harry out in ways that didn’t involve feeling like he was packed full of mud afterwards.



“Alright.” Ron started, anger colouring his voice as he caught his breath.



“Wait.” Hermione said, holding up a hand.



“I want to know—”



“Ron! That wasn’t normal, it wasn’t—”



“Obviously it wasn’t normal! We’ve spent months telling the truth about what happened and you just turn around and apologize for it! How do you explain that?!” Ron shouted as he rounded on Harry.



“Ronald!” Hermione’s wand cracked through the air and sent several desks careening toward the walls. “There was something else wrong.”



Harry nodded as he tried to catch his own breath. “I couldn’t breathe when she spoke. I don’t know what happened, it was,” He paused and his hand slipped upwards, rubbing at his throat as phantom ribbons slipped over his skin. “I couldn’t say anything, I don’t understand,” He wasn’t sure how to describe it. It wasn’t Umbridge’s voice in Harry’s head that’d given him the phrase required to make the ribbons go away. Harry’d just known innately what to say, though he still didn’t know how. “I don’t understand, I couldn’t breathe.” He repeated.



Hermione nodded as a worried look magnified in her eyes. “I know.” She said. “It was awful, we couldn’t tell what was happening, you sort of just leant over—”



“And bloody well apologized.” Ron argued.



“It was Umbridge.” Hermione said fiercely. “You saw that disgusting display of hers, you saw that, that cow by her desk.” Her eyes glittered wildly and her voice pitched into a girlish mimicry of Umbridge’s simpering. “You see? Nothing to fear.” Hermione said, parroting Umbridge’s earlier comments and giving an unerringly similar giggle. “And that self-satisfied smile, ergh!” She snarled before swinging left and storming down the long end of the classroom. She paced back and forth over the worn wooden floor and spun her wand in her hand. Harry couldn’t guess where her thoughts had gone, only that they’d bolted far ahead of his own. He still felt as if he were full of mud. He wasn’t sure he’d be able to come up with a single intelligent thought at the moment, no matter how hard he tried.



That feeling had slowly begun to fade since leaving the Defense classroom, but the entire process was highly uncomfortable. He wasn’t sure how long it would take either, as he’d never been wrenched from his thoughts so abruptly before.



Ron at least seemed to have calmed down. His eyes had widened and followed Hermione’s angered path as he lingered almost nervously at the door. He blinked over at Harry momentarily and looked as if he wanted to apologize, but couldn’t quite bring himself to speak. Harry supposed that was better than nothing, but he hoped Ron wouldn’t yell at him again. He already felt dreadful and adding Ron’s anger on top, especially in the face of Harry’s new found issue, wasn’t helping.



Soft, clipped sounds escaped from Hermione as she paced. Her hands crept upwards and she plucked at the shirt sleeves of her button down while a multitude of emotions flashed across her eyes.



Harry wished he knew where her thoughts had spun off to. He nearly thought back to the awful encounter himself in search for any evidence, but he didn’t fancy the awful slippery ribbons brushing over his face again. He knew they now had proof though. Hermione knew that as well, because Harry would never have denied Cedric’s death so blatantly and no matter how Umbridge tried to hide her actions, she couldn’t hide the fact that Harry now felt ribbons where he hadn’t before. Nearly choking to death on them must've been evidence of Umbridge’s actions, but Harry wasn’t sure how that would look in any sort of formal investigation.



What if Umbridge could choose when Harry lied and when he told the truth?



An icy stone dropped into his belly at that thought. The urge to escape to the dungeons and find Snape stole through him, but before he could run, Hermione whirled in place and ran closer, shoving him back into the chair with a rough push.



“Hermione!” Ron’s tight-strung voice echoed around the room.



The tip of Hermione’s wand darkened as red smoke began to billow outward. “What toy was Harry Potter given this summer?” She asked.



The chair dug into Harry’s back as Hermione leant closer.



“Erm.” He stuttered, suddenly worrying about everything he’d so much as touched over the summer. He couldn’t remember if he’d actually been given any toys, nor could he guess why Hermione was interested in them. He hadn’t realized she’d known about any of them either.



“Hermione what’s wrong with you!” Ron asked, trying to come nearer before Hermione’s wand flashed in his direction.



“Harry Potter would have told Umbridge the truth about Cedric.” Hermione said.



Harry shook his head and desperately tried to scrounge up his memories. “A, erm, Ms Eileen found me a—a football.” He said finally, relieved to have come up with anything in spite of his cloudy thoughts.



Hermione’s eyes hardened and her wand slid closer still. “Anything else?” She asked.



Snapshots of his time in Germany filtered through his confusion. He had never truly considered Hermione turning her wand on him and now that she had, he felt a sudden empathy for the fear Malfoy likely experienced anytime it turned on him.



“A stuffed dog!” Harry shouted as the image of the stuffed animal flew into his mind. “It looks like Padfoot!”



Hermione’s wand dropped and she fell forward, giving Harry a tight hug. “That’s correct. I’m so sorry, I was worried. Once I’d thought you might be an imposter, I couldn’t let it go. What if you were and we’d taken you to see Ruffles and then ruined their cover, I was, I was horrified Harry. I’m so sorry.” She said.



“I’ve been with you for two days now, don’t you think you’d have picked up on it sooner?” Harry asked.



“Well, I had thought so, but after Professor Moody and Avery’s impersonation, I couldn’t leave it to chance.” Hermione said as she pulled back and shrugged.



“Blimey, Hermione,” Ron said weakly. “Bit overkill, but alright. What was all the smoke? How did you make that?”



Harry’s eyes flashed between Ron and Hermione as they spoke. His heart had yet to stop pounding and he was wondering at what point he’d pass out from it.



“It’s actually nothing, but I didn’t know what else to do. The smoke I did create is from a smokescreen spell. The actual screen won’t appear unless you say the incantation. I’d thought it would look intimidating enough to an imposter though.” Hermione said.



Harry nodded. “It worked on me, I didn’t know what it was though.” He wasn’t sure how it would work against an actual Death Eater, or whoever else might be masquerading as others, but he didn’t know any spells to give Hermione to use instead. They’d have to ask Snape. “How did you know about the stuffed dog?” He asked suddenly as embarrassment trickled through him. He hadn’t shown either Ron or Hermione the dog, nor did he mention it, having thought it was too childish to bring up.



Hermione blushed and wrung her hands together. “I did a bit of spying on you over the summer, just to make sure you were alright!” She added when Harry dropped his head into his hands.



Ron made an uncomfortable sound.



“Er, right.” He said. “Let’s get back to Umbridge.”



“Of course, yes.” Hermione coughed. “We should try and remember everything Umbridge said. I don’t know what happened, but I’m certain what she said caused the effects. We should explain to Ruffles the next time we see them and try and tell Dumbledore immediately.”



Harry looked upwards and nodded before climbing shakily to his feet. “We have to get to potions soon, we might want to start making our way now.”



“Actually.” Hermione paused offhandedly as she blinked at the floor. “Actually, no. Sit back down, Harry.”



“What? Why? You want us to be late? For potions?” Ron asked as shock spread across his face.



“No, not at all, certainly not on our first day.” Hermione said. A thin crease of worry cut between her eyebrows. “That would be terrible—but what I mean to say is, I had a thought and I didn’t want Harry to be hurt if it turned out to be true, since you didn’t look very well after, whatever it was, happened in class.” She said, waving her hands as she spoke.



“Well, how could I look well?” Harry snapped. “I couldn’t breathe.”



“Exactly.” Hermione said with a sharp look. “That was my point. What I want to ask is, what happened last spring?”



“You know what happened.” Harry said as he crossed arms and sat. “What do you want me to say?”



“No. I mean, tell me what happened. What happened after you and Cedric grabbed the trophy.”



Harry opened his mouth to speak, but before a word could slip out, ribbons tore over his jaw and burned hotly as they careened into his mouth and down his throat. He choked and tried to tug them out but he couldn’t force his body to do what he wanted. He couldn’t even tell if they were real or not, or if Ron and Hermione could see them.



“I’m sorry!” Hermione shouted. “I’m so sorry! Ron, help!”



“Say what you did last time Harry! It was something about speaking out!”



Harry tried to shake his head, but he could hardly move. He couldn’t tell if it was his recent, near constant oxygen deprivation or his intense urge to fight back against Umbridge’s actions, but he refused to give in without at least attempting to fight.



“Harry, please!” Hermione begged.



The ribbons loosened momentarily, allowing him a thin gasp. Harry knew immediately what he’d need to say to make it stop, thought he wondered again how. The phrase had changed though, seeming to take Hermione’s word choice into question similar to the way it’d tailored itself for Umbridge.



“It was a—a,” He began, unable to even begin to say the next word. Every piece of him railed against it.



“Make it stop.” Hermione said again. “Make it stop!” Her wand whipped back and forth over Harry’s head, but nothing seemed to change. He didn’t know why he’d thought anything might, but put it down to Hermione’s usual logic and skill saving him at the last second.



“It was a t-t-tragic accident.” Harry choked as he slumped to the right and hung over the chair. “I shouldn’t have spoke—spoken out, I just haven’t found my feet!”



The ribbons receded slowly, just as they had earlier. Harry dropped forward and would’ve tipped out of the chair had Ron not darted closer and caught his shoulder. He helped push him back into the chair as air rushed through his lungs once more.



The three of them stood for a long moment as the sounds of Harry trying to breathe past the awful ribbons and exhaustion that sank through him. He wanted this day to be done already. He wanted to hide in his dormitory until he could rationalize everything this changed.



Did it change much? Not many people had asked him about Voldemort’s return yet, but Harry had glared down anyone who’d been brave enough to approach him. The ribbons slipped over his jaw, reminding him unnecessarily of his inability to speak on the topic. He shuddered against the feeling. Everyone in Defense knew what he’d said. They couldn't have missed it, with how Umbridge carried on during and after they’d spoken. Seamus was going to pick a fight with him soon and a burnt blanket was going to be the least of his worries.



He wondered how quickly it was spreading through the school. Maybe Snape already knew about what happened in Harry’s dreadful Defense class? He wasn’t looking forward to potions, not when Snape would probably put on a good show for the Slytherin’s who took that lesson with them, nor was he looking forward to Malfoy.



Malfoy, who already knew Harry’d been six for a month and now would have even more to torment Harry about.



He blinked upward after finally beginning to feel more normal.



Hermione’s hands were caught tightly around her mouth.



“Right, reckon we’re done asking that question from now on.” Ron said quietly. “You know,” He turned in place and grabbed his and Harry’s bags once more. “We might be able to fix things a bit, I think?”



Harry stood and gave him a sour look. “How’s that, d’you suppose?” He asked. “I can just release an official statement on paper maybe? Or I could, I dunno, write the Daily Prophet and retract what other people are saying about me?”



“No, none of that.” Ron said as he pulled Hermione from her stupor. “But Hermione or I can answer for you. We can say you’re mental about talking about it and You-Know-Who did something?” He passed Harry his bag and led them from the classroom, making sure to keep them each walking with sturdy tugs when they lagged. “Not that you are mental mate, just, you know.”



“Harry, I’m so sorry.” Hermione apologized softly. “I knew that might happen, but I felt we’d need to know for sure.”



“No, it’s fine.” Harry said through clenched teeth. “You’re probably right to figure it out. I just never, ever want to feel like that again.” He added as they descended several sets of stairs and swept into the dungeons. They hardly passed any other students, for which Harry was thankful for. He wasn’t surprised though, given they were very nearly late and passing time was coming to a close. “I don’t want to deal with Snape right now either.” Snape wouldn’t love it if the three of them were late for his first class.



What if he was angry with Harry about it?



Maybe Harry could pass it off as trying to maintain their secrecy by acting how he typically had?



Hermione nodded sympathetically. “I’m sure he’ll give us a show. I hate the idea of us saying you’re mental though, you’ve already gone through enough. We can try and keep them at bay instead. I’m sure we’ll think of something if that doesn’t work.”



Harry didn’t want to consider being forced to rely on Ron and Hermione to keep his story alive. What if Umbridge targeted them next?



They slipped into their potions classroom with seconds to spare and found what followed to be surprisingly similar to the usual first days in years past. While Snape rarely looked their way, on the off chance he did, it was usually to snap something helpful at Harry. He mentioned twice that the direction Harry sliced his newt’s eyes in was abysmal, but neglected to say anything to Ron despite the two sharing the ingredient. Harry half wondered if all of Snape’s comments throughout the last four years had been meant to steer him toward becoming a better potions master, but scratched that thought after remembering Snape’s particular preference for neglecting to tell Harry how to counteract any poisons he came in contact after last year.



“Remain behind, Potter.” Snape drawled as the bell rang.



Harry gave him a look and tried to convey thankfulness behind what he hoped appeared to be anger. He shoved his books and parchment into his bag and tried to pretend like he was cleaning as he waited for the rest of the class to leave. Hermione patted him comfortingly on the shoulder and hurried away to her Arithmancy class, leaving Ron to handle what Slytherin’s came his way.



“Weasel, how fortuitous—”



He could already see Ron’s ears colouring as Malfoy’s snide voice echoed quietly through the room.



“To class, Mr Malfoy.” Snape said with a lazy wave of his wand. “We wouldn’t want to be caught misbehaving now, would we?”



Malfoy smirked and stepped from the room while Harry tried to recall what Snape’s usual interactions with Malfoy looked like. Any thought he’d given their relationship in the past revolved around how much Snape let Malfoy get away with, but now he was less sure if that was the truth. He wondered if it had more to do with Lucius Malfoy and how much Snape could say to Draco without having Lucius owl him. Snape’s emphasis on the word ‘caught’ had Harry worrying for Ron, but he wasn’t sure if he could leave the potion’s classroom to forewarn him.



Once the room had cleared, Snape flicked his wand once more and forced the doors to slam shut as a fuzzy spell coated over them. He dropped into the chair behind his desk and gestured for Harry to come closer.



“How was Umbridge?” Snape asked.



“Horrible.” Harry said as he dragged a stool closer to Snape’s desk. He moved to fall into the seat and found it’d been transfigured seconds before he landed. Rather than the hard topped stool, it was now an oversized, plush armchair. “I don’t,” Harry tried to start, though he couldn’t tell where to begin. “I don’t know where to begin, but she asked and I couldn’t breathe.” He tried to explain. The ribbons brushed over his lips once more and this time Harry asked. “Can you see them?”



Snape blinked at Harry and raised his eyebrows.



“The ribbons.” Harry said. “Hermione and Ron acted like they couldn’t see them.”



“Harry, you aren’t making much sense at the moment.” Snape said. “You couldn’t breathe?” He asked.



“No, I couldn’t—there were ribbons!” Harry said, stumbling over his words. He could hardly keep track of them now that he’d begun trying to explain how he’d felt when Umbridge had spoken with him. He’d thought his earlier confusion had more to do with his falling into his thoughts, but he was becoming increasingly worried that whatever Umbridge had done, it’d trickled into his ability to explain what he was experiencing.



“Occlude for a moment with me.” Snape said. “You have a break period between now and your next class, correct?”



Harry nodded but couldn’t restrain his steadily growing panic.



“Then occlude for a moment. Close your eyes and picture the snitch.”



“I don’t see how this will help.”



“Humour me. You’re distressed and will benefit.” Snape gave him an encouraging look.



Harry whinged and shoved his hands into his hair before taking a deep breath. The snitch flickered in his thoughts and swooped left and right as he attempted to catch it. It darted just out of reach each time he so much as grazed a wing. After what felt like countless attempts, he changed tack and turned to drawing lazy arcs through low hanging clouds.



“Alright,” Snape’s soft voice surrounded him. “Now, don’t open your eyes. Tell me what happened on your way to Defense class.”



Harry nodded. “Ron was upset that he couldn’t throw the fire-cracker. Fred and George brought down a wall, by the way, not a window.”



“I’ll handle any repercussions should they appear. What happened next?”



“We saw the books on Umbridge’s desk and Hermione checked to make sure we were in the right classroom, because there wasn’t much else around.” Harry said as he sank farther into the armchair and imagined himself arcing upwards over the clouds and towards a starry night sky. “Umbridge came in, introduced herself and started talking about the course aims, which Hermione had a question about, and Umbridge was nasty to her.”



“I’m sure Miss Granger had several questions.” Snape said as the scratch of a quill echoed in Harry’s ears. He wondered if Snape had begun grading summer essays yet, as he’d told Harry it was one of his least enjoyable tasks, though every once in a while a student would manage to surprise him with a clever suggestion.



“Well, yeah, the class is more of a law class. Dean pointed that out. Umbridge started asking us if we knew how fast Aurors could arrive at crime scenes.”



“Most are remarkably slow, in case you were curious.” Snape said.



Harry snickered before remembering Snape’s wisdom likely came from personal experience with his background as a Death Eater.



“Proceed.” Snape said.



“Right,” Harry said. “Well, Hermione made a point about that, she said she’d summoned an Auror and I think she meant Professor Moody, or I guess, Barty Crouch Jr.”



“Not someone she’d willingly choose to summon in her hour of need, I’d imagine.”



“No. Probably not.” Maybe Harry was more stressed than he’d imagined, but he found himself almost falling asleep. He often used Occlumency to fall asleep though, so that made sense. “Well, Umbridge didn’t like Hermione’s comment and told her it was all a mix up, but Ron backed Hermione up. Umbridge asked him if he was a Ministry employee, and Ron said no, to which she’d said he was mixed up.”



Snape hummed and Harry realized they’d come to the point when he’d need to admit to having ruined their plans by intentionally baiting Umbridge.



“Harry?”



“Well,” Harry started. The night sky faded in his imagination and Umbridge’s taffy-pink ribbons shot toward him, hurdling around his body and sending him plummeting to the ground. His eyes flashed open before he could hit the ground and he looked at Snape, trying to head off any anger quickly. “I said she should ask me about it.”



Snape blinked at him with a blank stare and Harry wondered if he should begin apologizing. He’d never done something downright wrong in Germany and Snape had nothing in line for punishment for Harry, not that Harry knew of at least.



“And she said I’d already explained myself last night.” Harry said weakly.



Snape’s eyebrows rose.



“But I hadn’t!” Harry said in a high-strung voice. “And then there were ribbons.” Phantom ribbons slipped over his lips again though this time far less intensely. He despised the soft caress and began attributing it to Umbridge’s nasty, small smile. “Ribbons, can you see them now? They’re here.”



“What did you say to Umbridge?” Snape asked.



“I can’t say what I said. I won’t be able to breathe if I do.”



“I think you will.” Snape stood and his dark wand appeared in his hand. “Take a deep breath and repeat it for me, please.”



Harry shook his head and a small trickle of worry dripped down his back. He’d already endured the ribbons twice today and in a short amount of time.



Snape dropped into a crouch before Harry’s armchair and flicked his wand upwards, sending a cool draft over Harry’s sweaty form. The quill continued to scratch despite Snape having left his desk.



“I shouldn’t have spoken out, I just haven’t found my feet.” Harry whispered and flinched as he prepared to choke. He blinked dumbly at his own voice and clear throat after the fact. “That’s not what happened last time I spoke, Hermione even checked.” He quickly said as horror replaced his worry. This only made him seem even more like a liar and as if he whinged about Umbridge’s actions with no just cause. “It changed, inbetween, I promise it did. Hermione tried again in an empty classroom, the second time I’d said ‘it was a tragic accident, I shouldn’t have spoken out, I just haven’t found my feet’, it—I, I had to, because Hermione asked—”



“I don’t doubt it.” Snape said softly. “Umbridge said you’d explained yourself and you felt, how?”



“Ribbons.” Harry said, aghast at his own quick answer. He tried to explain again. “I mean, I didn’t, I couldn’t breathe, I feel—there are—”



“Ribbons.” Snape repeated. “You can’t explain how you feel. Only that there are ribbons.” He added before twisting on his heel and pulling up a roll of parchment and showing Harry. Written on it was every word he and Snape had said, the entire story Harry’d just told, laid out clearly. “You provided me with a solid, coherent explanation for the entirety of this conversation, the only instance where you babble, is with how you described the effects you experience.”



Harry had the oddest urge to cry and he put it down to frustration. He wasn’t sure which was worse, the babbling or the choking. He’d almost choose to go endure the choking because at least those around him wouldn’t think of him as mad.



“I didn’t babble intentionally.”



“No,” Snape shook his head and leant against his desk. “That’s part of the issue. I will not subject you to the more violent effect of this malady,” He said slowly. “Though there are several potions I know of that can incept the imbiber and tailor the effects like what you’re experiencing, though they’re obscure and I wouldn’t have imagined Umbridge would come into contact with one of them without a tremendous amount of research. That is to say if it even is a potion.”



“It might not be a potion?” Harry asked.



“There are too many things it might be.” Snape said.



Harry fell back into the armchair and lamented his life. “You don’t have any ideas, or thoughts about it?” He asked, wonderingly somewhat morbidly if Snape had ever encountered something similar while in Voldemort’s service.



“I have several.” Snape flicked his wand, somehow making Harry’s armchair soften farther. “Dolores Umbridge is labouring under the delusion that she is the only person able to step into the Dark Arts in order to succeed at her task.”



Harry blinked confusedly. “Why would she think that?”



“Because she is unaware that whatever she has done to you, has left traces.” Snape said as he held the parchment up once more.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! If you enjoyed it, please leave a comment below! I light up reading them. I worry this chapter seems slow, but I dearly hope you guys enjoy it regardless! d84;
Chapter 6 by WiCeBa
“I really think we should owl Snuffles.” Hermione said as her finger grazed over the spines of several Charms books. “I don’t think we’ll be able to find what we need within our library.”

Harry thumbed through his own thick and dusty charms book and debated what Sirius would do when he heard of Umbridge’s actions. It’d been several weeks since he and Snape had spoken in his classroom about Harry’s choking problem and they hadn’t managed to uncover anything yet. He scanned over the pages in front of him at random and eyed counter-charms and preventative spells, but he didn’t see much in the way of stemming symptoms of what he experienced. Hermione seemed confident they’d be able to alleviate Harry’s babbling, though Harry couldn’t say he felt the same. She’d had a distinctly uncomfortable look in her eyes when he mentioned Snape’s Dark Arts theory though, and that, Harry was sure they felt the same way about.

He almost wished Ron were here, as Harry was sure he’d have something funny to help ease the tension brought on by this subject, but he was distantly glad he wasn’t. Ron had never liked researching in the library and there was no amount of bribery that could’ve kept him from reading when he could be out flying.

Harry didn’t love researching either, but he didn’t have much choice.

He belatedly remembered Ron and Hermione’s course loads hardly allowed for flying this year and that he shouldn’t be taking any free time from either of them. That was especially true given the watchful guard duty they’d kept up around Harry. No one other than Ginny and Neville had managed to ask Harry about Umbridge’s first day of class, for which Harry was endlessly thankful for.

Seamus, on the other hand, had found even more time to sneer at him.

“The library at Snuffles’s house might even include whatever it is Umbridge has done, given the content of some of the books.”

Harry blinked as he looked up. “Mrs Weasley let you snoop in that library?”

“Hardly.” Hermione said. “But Ron kept a look out while I snuck in and grabbed what I could. We made a daily job of it. When I was researching what had happened to you, I came across several books I’d never seen before and couldn’t resist perusing, though I wish I hadn’t.”

“And?” Harry asked with morbid curiosity.

“They were revolting.” Hermione grimaced. “They were so much older and darker than what I’ve read before, and written in an increasingly disorganized fashion. I think Snuffles’s relatives wrote several of them and from what I read, they weren’t in their right minds.”

“Snuffles has mentioned part of his family is mad.”

“This wasn’t madness, Harry.” Hermione said with a concerned frown. “Or, not mad in the way I think you or I would see it. It was all intentional, truly intentional.” She said. “They built off of one another as well, which I hadn’t anticipated, though I really should have. If one person wrote about an idea and the potential incantations and logic behind it, another would add on with outcomes they’d witnessed or what bedlam ensued.”

Harry shoved his book back onto the shelf as Hermione’s arms folded around her stomach.

“I don’t think a library like that has any business in a school of course, but if we’re meant to be researching something that equally has no business in a school, it’d be an invaluable source.” Hermione added. “I also think Snuffles may have some ideas about this anyway. He talked a bit about the sort of person his mother was and from the sound of her, she’d have loved the type of magic you’re going through.”

Harry shuddered at the thought of phantom ribbons cascading softly across his face. “Well, I haven’t owled him yet. I feel like when he learns about what happened, he’ll come storming in.”

Hermione nodded tightly as she whispered a spell and made several charms books leap from the higher shelves.

“It’s entirely possible. We’ll have to be much more careful with how we bring it up to him, given how much Umbridge seems to want a scandal.” She said making her way through the aisle as her steadily growing stack of books and Harry trailed behind her. “I have a feeling he’ll have some sort of background knowledge about combatting your symptoms at least. Of course, well.” Her voice trailed off as she paused and blinked at the floor.

“Well?” Harry asked as he helped neaten the bobbing stack.

“Well, that’s not the only thing we’ve got to worry about is it?” She said. “We need to combat your symptoms of course, but we can’t really combat what we don’t know and I’m not sure if Snuffles will be able to detect the exact problem. I hadn’t really thought of a detection process until recently, because we’ve been more focused with the ways this permeates in your day to day experiences.”

“Right,” Harry said slowly. “Some warning before I go choking on ribbons would be pleasant.” He added in an obvious tone.

Hermione huffed and twisted on her heel. “If we’re going to try detecting something though, don’t you think we should owl someone with more knowledge in that?”

“Who did you have in mind?” Harry asked. “Not Mad-Eye Moody?”

He didn’t fancy owling Moody. What would he even say? ‘I know we’ve never formally met, but I let myself be captured by a taffy-pink toad and made to choke on ribbons, what should I do?’ Harry shook his head and tried to ignore the uncomfortable feeling of his own stupidity washing over him.

“Actually, I had thought Bill Wealsey might be more helpful.” Hermione said. “He is a curse breaker and he’s skilled with detection. Ruffles said this could be any number of things, didn’t he?”

“Ruffles also said there were potions that could be the cause and I definitely drank something.” Harry said as the idea that he probably would need to inform others of his current problems curled unpleasantly along his uneasy stomach. There was something innately mortifying about it. Informing others of how he’d stumbled into a blatant attack without even attempting to defend himself rankled him and he wished all the more fervently he’d caught on to Umbridge’s actions sooner.

Hermione paused again before snagging a book near her knee. “Part of the reason I want to owl Bill is because I’m worried about Ruffles researching this.”

Harry felt his eyes widen as Hermione turned and looked at him as she inhaled deeply.

Harry’s first post-class potions visit had turned into something of a ritual for the two of them, where Harry’d either disappear with most of the other students before doubling back or just linger until the last student left. Snape hadn’t mentioned anyone catching on to them yet, so he figured it was safe. They’d spent most of the time discussing Harry’s symptoms and it was for that reason he couldn’t imagine someone more perfect to research Harry’s problem than Snape. Especially given just how much research Snape did in his down time. Snape had a book in hand more often than he didn’t and when he wasn’t actively learning about potions, he was leaving scathing reviews on Potions magazines. He never seemed interested in any other sort of literature.

He genuinely enjoyed research.

“Why?” Harry asked. “They’re probably more qualified than anyone else we know—”

“That’s exactly why.” Hermione whispered as she crept closer to Harry. “The Dark Arts can be addictive. I know I don’t know all of what you’ve learnt about Ruffles, but from what you have told me and what we’ve eavesdropped on, this wouldn’t be their first time researching the subject.”

A sense of dread began to tighten along Harry’s muscles as the memory of their first night in Lily’s flat echoed in his ears. Snape had said Lily sent her necklace to him in an attempt to push him from his interest in the Dark Arts. He’d also been painfully honest about his time as a genuine Death Eater and what lengths he’d gone to in his work beneath Voldemort.

Harry shivered against the phantom ribbons brushing across his lips. The necklace bloomed to life almost as if it knew it was being thought of.

“This has been on my mind for a few days now, I’m just, I’m worried. I trust Ruffles to solve the problem, I just also worry what diving into this might do to them.” Hermione added.

Sirius had mentioned Snape’s interest with the subject as well, when he’d frightened Harry before kidnapping him. He’d given a clear warning about Snape and Avery’s old friendship and Harry didn’t need to know the particulars to know Snape had likely created gruesome magic in his pursuit to please Voldemort. He certainly didn’t need to see Voldemort in action to know of his own unparalleled fascination with the Dark Arts and how it spiralled and infected everyone who came into contact with him.

Sirius’s voice hissed in his ear, reminding him that the dark mark on Snape’s arm wasn’t just for show.

“I—I, I’m not,” Harry stammered. Shame trickled through him and he suddenly found his earlier needy actions intolerable. He’d gone running to Snape so quickly that he never considered the consequences this could cause him. He’d gone and given a recovered addict their drug of choice. “What—”

“We’ll write Bill and Snuffles.” Hermione said with a firm nod and held one of the books up. “And we’ll research ways to alleviate your symptoms and hopefully, try and keep Ruffles from doing too much of their own research.”

“They’ve already begun researching though.” Harry said as he tried to swallow back his shame.

“I doubt we can just stop them at the moment, but we’ll think of something.” Hermione said beneath her breath. “Let’s go find Ron and ask about Bill for right now. I think Ginny mentioned he was with Dean earlier, though I do hope he hasn’t gone and gotten into another row with Seamus.”

Harry found himself unable to care about Seamus’s poor attempts at bullying in the face of his own recent stupidity. He should’ve been more aware of Snape’s past.

They’d discussed it more than once and Snape had never hidden from it. The bitter gift of hindsight only screamed louder at Harry about thick-headed actions. He should’ve been well aware of Snape’s previous addiction, given how quickly he’d seen through Harry’s choking problem and been able to show him his own symptoms.

A quiet voice in the back of his mind asked whether or not they should ask Snape how he felt, but Harry felt that was a stupid question. He shouldn’t have brought it up in the first place.

They passed by Madam Pince and checked their selection out before attempting to stuff everything into Hermione’s already overfilled bag. Madam Pince clicked her tongue, but neglected to say anything as Hermione gave a sheepish smile and collected what wouldn’t fit and split it between herself and Harry to carry.

“Oh! I bet we could distract them!” Hermione said excitedly as they made their way down the corridor. “See, I don’t think solely removing the source of the addiction will stop the urge, as it isn’t the most helpful course of action with breaking addiction. Removing the behavioural pattern and waiting it out doesn’t always work, you have to provide an adjacent pattern to focus on instead. Though, they already have quite a bit on their plate, don’t they?”

“Well.” Harry started as more of his troubles spun into his thoughts.

Snape was already researching and attempting to brew a cure for Avery’s incorrectly made aging potion, spying on Voldemort, spying on Dumbledore, teaching Harry Occlumency, teaching seven years worth of students a core subject and researching a way to break Harry’s current choking problem.

“I have to stop bringing my problems to them.” Harry said dully.

“I don’t think that’s quite right.” Hermione shook her head wildly. “They’re a multitasker, we’ve already seen that. What we need is to keep them more focused on a tangentially related research issue rather than Umbridge. We even have the perfect distraction, the first troublesome problem.”

They slipped into the courtyard and past the stone bridge where several groups of students were talking and joking with one another. Hermione climbed to her tip toes and peered around, searching for Ron or Dean, but didn’t seem to spot them.

“That has an immediate fix, despite how temporary it is.” Harry said as he shook his own head as he looked around as well.

It was frustrating to wait for nausea to roil in his stomach before he was able to take the temporary antidote, but it kept him from appearing as a six year old for at least two days. Harry knew Snape was working on both issues, despite not having any time, it was very likely he’d prioritized the infinitely more painful problem over the mildly inconveniencing one. Harry felt they were both horrible, but he knew which one he’d rather handle first.

“No, I really don’t think—”

“Oh, has daycare finished, then?” Malfoy’s snide tone cut across the courtyard and silenced the idle chatter nearest them.

His mum’s necklace warmed as Harry’s hands tightened around his books. A distant voice in the back of his mind tried to judge how much trouble he and Hermione would be in if he damaged everything in his arms by dropping it all to the ground and grabbing his wand. He’d been wildly lucky to have avoided Malfoy for the last few weeks, but he had a feeling that luck had only given Malfoy more time to prepare.

“I must say, being out without a nanny to hold your hand,” Malfoy added before hopping down from the stone balustrade. “I’m impressed, Potter.”

“I’ll bet you are,” Harry snapped back. “Given that you’ve never done an impressive thing in your life.”

Malfoy’s eyes narrowed and he reached into his pocket as he stepped closer to them.

“Harry.” Hermione whispered. “Let’s just go, he’s only going to—”

“When my father told me what’d happened,” Malfoy clicked his tongue. “We thought we might want to help, what with you already being a charity case.”

“Oh, do tell us, Malfoy.” Harry began as an idea spun into thoughts. He couldn’t tell if it was a horrible idea or not, but at the moment, that didn’t matter. “Why would your father think anything happened to me, Malfoy?” He asked innocently. “You’ll have to enlighten us. Where would he have come up with this?”

Hermione inhaled slowly and her fingers tightened around her own collection of books.

Malfoy paled, though it was hardly noticeable. Harry dearly hoped he would give himself away, as no one but Death Eaters or Order members had known of Harry’s previous condition.

‘Ongoing,’ his mind supplied quietly. ‘His ongoing condition.’

Malfoy’s grey eyes flashed and an oily smile slid across his lips. “He heard it from Professor Snape, of course. They spoke over the summer, as friends—”

A buzzing took over in Harry’s ears as his heart dropped into an icy bath. Snape would never have said something so dangerous to Lucius. Snape wouldn’t. The crack in Harry’s soul that he’d thought had begun to mend, splintered as it broke open once more.

It had to be a lie. It must’ve been. Snape wouldn’t have said anything to Lucius that could come back to hurt Harry.

Malfoy’s voice loomed over the buzzing, as did Hermione’s, though Harry wasn’t sure what she was saying. It was likely something about how much of a liar Malfoy was.

Lucius heard it from Voldemort, Harry was positive of that. Draco was lying.

It had to be a lie.

Malfoy’s cruel smile’s during Potions blinked in the back of Harry’s mind. Had Snape and Malfoy discussed something behind Harry’s back? Why would Malfoy act as if he had permission to torment Harry if Snape hadn’t spoken with him?

Malfoy acted like this, because he’d always acted like this, Harry tried to remind himself. Whether or not he had permission, Malfoy bullied people.

It had to be a lie.

“We were all so sorry to hear, but,” Malfoy said as he broke through Harry’s thoughts with a crooning voice. “Father, in his unending kindness toward the lesser among us, asked me to present you with a gift.” Malfoy withdrew his hand from his pocket and a small blue infant’s pacifier appeared in his palm. He hissed a spell and flicked his wand, sending it rocketing towards Harry.

Harry struggled to move.

His thoughts circled viciously around Malfoy’s comment and no amount of logic could stop it from tunneling deeper into his thoughts. The only vision where he’d seen Lucius and Snape speaking, had been when they’d discussed Avery.

Snape hadn’t brought up Harry’s condition.

If he had, Harry hadn’t seen it happen.

It had to be a lie.

“ARRESTO MOMENTUM!” Hermione shouted as her books fell to the ground and her wand flew into her hand.

Blood rushed to Harry’s face as the pacifier shivered to a stop a hair's width from his lips.

“Suck on it, Potter.”

Something wickedly sharp tore across Harry’s thoughts and began making violent cacophony of sounds. A fierce heat spread over his chest and flew down his fingers, quickly overtaking the warm feeling from his mum’s pendant with a burning fury. Before Harry realized what happened, Malfoy was flat on the ground. The books Harry’d been holding were scattered alongside Hermione’s and the small blue pacifier lay just to the left of Malfoy’s foot, though Harry couldn’t tell if he’d sent it back at him or not.

His fingers tightened around his wand in a poor attempt to stem the anger trembling through his body.

He blinked down, realizing belatedly he must’ve grabbed it some point.

“You utter cockroach!” Hermione shouted as she jerked closer and sent Malfoy scrabbling to his feet. She chased him farther from Harry and back toward the balustrade where Crabbe and Goyle looked to be nervously debating whether or not to run away. Pansy Parkinson’s wand had dropped into her hand, though she didn’t seem inclined to use it. “You go around bullying brighter and better people than you could ever be, all because you’re an empty—”

“Bloody hell!” Ron’s shocked voice appeared at Harry’s shoulder. “What’ve I missed?” He asked.

The enraged, burning anger hadn’t quite abated, nor had Harry’s panic and worry. He wasn’t sure he could string a sentence together, to say nothing of how he would explain what happened between Malfoy, Harry and Hermione.

“Erm.” Harry started in a poor attempt. His heart had yet to stop pounding and whatever had shot through his brain was turning any useful thoughts to mush. A voice who sounded suspiciously like Snape, whispered at Harry to occlude in the face of this much anger, but Harry could hardly picture the snitch, nor could he think of anything as pleasant as flying.

Had Snape told Lucius Malfoy about Harry?

If it had happened, it would’ve happened before his and Harry’s relationship had changed. Did that change how Harry should feel about this?

He couldn’t tell.

Malfoy had lied, why he even bothered with this line of thinking was beyond him. Malfoy had always been a liar.

Had Snape told Lucius Malfoy though?

No, Voldemort told Lucius Malfoy.

“Harry, mate, let’s get Hermione before she’s expelled.” Ron said with a firm shoulder pat. He dodged around the fallen books and snagged Hermione’s sleeve. He tried twice to tug her away before finally succeeding on his third attempt.

“—Vile, bullying,” Hermione breathed heavily as she neared Harry. “Ferret! How—how dare he?” She asked as she kneeled shakily and collected their fallen books. Harry began to kneel to join her, but she held her hand out, keeping him standing. “I’ll report him for this, just wait and see.” She stacked the books into Ron’s waiting arms before climbing to her feet and wrapping Harry in a warm hug.

“Right.” Ron said. “Right, of course we’ll report him, report him for what exactly, though?”

Harry wished he’d realized how nice hugs were sooner in his life, as Hermione’s was doing wonders for his panic. He tightened his grip on her and wished it would push away all of his fear in the same way Snape’s hugs often did.

His heart clenched at that thought and he tried to convince himself once more that Malfoy was a liar. Harry knew he had been lying because he knew how the story had come to Voldemort. Snape had been the one to tell him about what had happened when they’d been in Lily’s flat. Snape had been honest and explained all about his and Avery’s deal and he tried to explain how Death Eaters apparently accepted lies for lies in order to save their own necks.

Harry still struggled with some of Snape’s logic, but that logic didn’t change how Draco had come to learn about Harry’s previous—ongoing condition.

He wasn’t sure why his heart still hurt despite his reasoning.

Maybe Snape thought of him as too childish at the time, but that had been typical of their previous interactions. Snape had always assumed Harry was immature and spoiled.

Snape had told Harry, quite specifically, he’d been mistaken. This was just Malfoy.

“I don’t know where to start.” Hermione said as she pulled back and rubbed at her misty eyes. “It was horrid. He’s horrid.”

“Well that’s Malfoy in one, isn’t it?” Ron asked.

“He gets worse every year.” Hermione said. “Are you alright, Harry? That was dreadful.” She asked as she began to lead them back into Hogwarts and toward their common room.

“It’s just Malfoy.” Harry said with a weak nod and wished he felt more confident in his answer. “I reckon he hasn’t got anything on V-Voldemort.” He stammered as the ribbons cascaded across his face, but didn’t restrict his breathing.

He’d slowly tried to accommodate around them, but found that each time they brushed across his face felt as horrible as the first time. He’d begun categorizing what he could say without feeling ribbons as well, despite Snape’s firm warning not to go messing about with whatever was wrong with him. He needed to know if he could speak Voldemort’s name though, as well as what he could think, as the ribbons danced down his jaw at the very thought of Voldemort, but didn’t wake for You-Know-who, or Tom Riddle for that matter.

While Harry wasn’t very interested in why Umbridge chose one moniker over another, he was curious as to why she wanted him suddenly fearful of saying Voldemort’s name. It didn’t make much sense for the Ministry to deny Harry’s story and turn around and make Harry visibly nervous of the megalomaniac. If he was truly gone, Harry should feel free to say what he liked.

There should’ve been no need to fear at all.

“Just Malfoy being a bullying prat.” Hermione repeated with a sneer. “He was dreadful, Ron. I can’t believe no one went to get a teacher during that horrible display of his.”

“I reckon they probably didn’t because you’re both prefects.” Ron said.

Hermione huffed before beginning to relay the story. She derailed several times to bring up additional crimes Malfoy had committed and the insults he’d said during previous prefect meetings when she finally came to what happened after Harry’d let his anger get the better of him.

“And I didn’t know Ruffles taught you non-verbal spells!” She said with a curious look. “Malfoy was just,” She clapped her hands and sent one sailing ahead of the other. “He didn’t know what hit him. I was so surprised at the time that I forgot to ask, what was the spell?”

Harry shrugged. “I think it was a bit less non-verbal and a bit more accidental.”

“Are you sure?” Hermione blinked. “I swear I saw your wand move, but then, you had grabbed it rather sharply.”

“For good reason. Ruffles doesn’t have the time to teach me non-verbals, and you know how awful Snuffles is at teaching.” Harry said with a strained laugh.

“He jumps across topics,” Ron moaned. “The last time I asked him to explain some of the political effects of Binns’s Goblin War of 1752 reading for my essay, I wound up learning about blackmarket trading on Ukranian Ironbelly’s.”

Hermione tossed an interested look at Ron but he waved her off. “It wasn’t relevant, Binns had been looking for political effects.”

“Do you remember when he taught us how to quick-draw our wands though?” Harry asked and Ron nodded with a snort. Harry’d been six at the time and struggled to fit his wand up his sleeve, but it’d made for a pleasant memory.

Sirius’s surprising niche talents made up for all of his odd tangents.

“Let’s get back on topic. I want us to remember the encounter so we can relay it to Professor McGonagall. I do wonder if we might tell Professor Snape as well, seeing as Malfoy is in his house.” Hermione’s forehead wrinkled as she thought. “There’s also the matter of witnesses, they may tell a different story than we do.”

Harry couldn’t bear hearing Snape’s tailored uncaring persona discussing Malfoy’s behaviour, especially not while he was still unable to let go of Malfoy’s comment. He knew Snape wouldn’t have told Lucius Malfoy.

He wouldn’t. Snape wasn’t in the business of humiliating Harry any longer.

Malfoy seemed to think he was, though.

Malfoy was a liar.

“Well go on anyway, Harry knocked Malfoy on his arse. Then what happened?” Ron asked.

Hermione jumped back into the story and relayed all of what she’d shouted at Malfoy, as well as Malfoy’s following expressions. He’d apparently been terrified to let her close and couldn’t seem to keep his feet beneath him. She managed to split the story again then, discussing future and past crimes before remembering why she and Harry had been in the courtyard in the first place.

“Bill! Oh, Ron, we need to owl Bill. Will you write to him?” She asked. “Because he’s a curse breaker, you see.”

They skipped up the Grand Staircase and attempted to push past the rush of flowing students but ultimately ended up swerving down the fifth floor corridor when the rush became too strong.

“No Hermione, I don’t see, you’ve gone every which way during this story.” Ron said as he juggled the books in his arms. “I can’t tell your left from your right, but sure, yeah, I’ll owl Bill.” He said before beginning a mimed conversation. “Dear Bill, Hermione’s gone mental and asked me to write to you. Oh, about what you ask? I dunno, she hasn’t said. Suppose I’ll get back to you about that. Lemme ask her when she’s less likely to hex me.”

Hermione blew a frizzy curl from her forehead. “I’ll explain of course, though maybe not at present given the company.” Her eyes flashed over the other student’s loitering in the corridor. “I also want to discuss our new plan for Ruffles.”

Ron twisted and looked as if he was about to ask, but his eyes widened and he quickly nudged Hermione and Harry into an alcove. Hermione nearly complained but shut her mouth when Umbridge’s girlish voice echoed down the corridor. The sound sent uncomfortable shudders through Harry and likely whoever else was nearby, as footsteps pounded past their hiding space, likely in an attempt to escape Umbridge’s eyes.

He remembered idly that Umbridge had yet to request Harry return for another awful meeting.

“So you see my point, Professor McGonagall.” Umbridge said once the corridor seemed suitably empty.

“Professor Umbridge,” Professor McGonagall started. “I’m afraid that no matter how I see your point, it does not sit with Hogwarts curriculum standards.” Her voice lilted, nearly rolling into her Scottish accent, but refraining despite the frustration evident in her tone. “Every student deserves the finest education we, as educators, can give them.”

“Yes, Professor. I hear you,” Umbridge said. “I am not asking to deliver a subpar education to my students.”

Hermione’s hand slipped around Harry’s and she pushed closer to Ron as the two professor’s neared their alcove.

“In fact, I think you’ll find that I’m hardly asking anything at all. I am treating this more as a courtesy to you. Consider it an official notice.” Umbridge said. “Despite the student’s who’ve informed you of their displeasure with how I run my classroom, I simply won’t be bullied—”

“Bullied!? Dolores—”

“Yes, dear, bullied into conforming to your unrealistic expectations.” The sound of Umbridge’s self-satisfied cough rang around them and Harry silently thanked McGonagall for walking on the right, as she neatly covered Harry, Ron and Hermione from Umbridge’s view. “The ministry has seen a concerning outcome from your previous educators, some of which, I’d like to remind you, were half-breeds—”

“Remus Lupin is not half of anything Dolores. He was a fine educator. He knew his subject and the student’s adored him.”

“Then why was a tracking charm placed on him this past summer, hmm?” Umbridge asked. “Do you know what that charm signals within the Ministry?” She asked as they moved farther from the alcove. “A dangerous, often wild animal we need to be aware of, for the safety of all who we work so diligently for, Minerva.”

“Dolores, I will not allow you to—”

“You have no power to allow or disallow me anything, Minerva.” Umbridge said as her heels clicked down the corridor. “Any students who find my subject is not being taught to their expectations can take it up with me from now on. Do direct them accordingly.”

McGonagall whirled around and stormed down the other side of the corridor. Harry wasn’t sure if he’d ever seen her in such a fierce mood and he was suddenly very worried for whoever had complained to her about Umbridge’s class.

“Who do you suppose complained?” Ron asked, echoing Harry’s thoughts as he led them from the alcove.

“Does it matter?” Hermione said in a high-strung voice. “This means we really won’t be practicing any magic this term. How are any of us supposed to pass an O.W.L. when we’ve never so much as practiced the incantation!”

“Practicing this term?” Ron gave her a disbelieving look. “We won’t be practicing any magic this year. I’m pretty sure McGonagall isn’t someone you’re supposed to talk down to like that, given she’s our deputy headmistress.”

“I don’t suppose Umbridge worries much about that.” Harry said in a grim tone. “She probably thinks she’s above McGonagall.”

He wondered idly if it was Hermione who’d complained to McGonagall, but he assumed she’d have told Ron and Harry about it if she had. He almost wished McGonagall had mentioned who had complained, as Harry dearly wished to know what McGonagall’s response had been.

“No, I reckon you’re right.” Ron shook his head. “She just reminds me so much of Percy. I hope he hates her. I won’t tolerate a member of my own family enjoying her company.”

“Do you think McGonagall will take student complaints, despite this?” Hermione asked. “I don’t want to let Malfoy’s behaviour go undocumented, especially not when there were so many witnesses. Surely this classifies as something that should be dealt with immediately.”

Harry shook his head ‘no’. “I don’t think we should bother McGonagall, at least not at the moment. We might want to give her some time.” He silently promised to avoid bringing it up to Snape as well, given how much the man was already working on for Harry. He might mention general bullying the next time Harry saw him, but he silently swore not to add anything else onto his overfilled plate.

If Harry were even half as busy as Snape, he’d likely be in the Hospital Wing babbling hysterically about stress and pulling his hair out.

He wondered again if Snape did tell Lucius Malfoy about Harry’s condition?

“We could always try Dumbledore?” Ron said. “I mean, if McGonagall doesn’t solve the problem, I’m sure Dumbledore can.”

“He’s already looking into Umbridge.” Harry said as he wrinkled his nose. “He’s keeping that close watch of his on her.”

“Well, maybe he’d like some help in that endeavor?” Ron asked. “I stole a few more extendable ears from Fred and George.”

“No.” Hermione said firmly. “We’ve been lucky to avoid Umbridge so far. We can’t go investigating her, it would give her a reason to call us down to her office and she’d potentially do to us what she’s already done to Harry.” She said as she pointed at herself and Ron. “I partially think that’s why she hasn’t summoned you again, Harry, despite never having had her question about the summer answered.”

“What?” Harry asked. He’d honestly thought Dumbledore had stepped in on that enquiry, and told Umbridge to bugger off. He hadn’t thought Umbridge was just leaving him alone.

That was too easy and he’d spent more than several sleepless nights worrying about it.

Hermione’s eyes flashed over him. “I think she’s waiting and hoping you’ll come crawling back. She probably expects you to give in and ask for the cure. Once she has you in her grasp, she’ll likely strike again, though I don’t know what with.”

A fuzzy memory blinked into Harry’s mind and he was reminded of the way Uncle Vernon used to taunt him by taking a full dinner plate past the cupboard when he wanted to watch telly in the sitting room. There were two ways into that room, the quicker route was from the kitchen directly and Uncle Vernon always chose to go through the front hall. There had never been anything overt about Uncle Vernon’s behaviour, as he’d never asked Harry if he was hungry when he walked past or if Harry felt like apologizing for whatever had landed him in his cupboard. He’d simply walked past, sometimes more than once in search of second or even third helpings.

Uncle Vernon had never opened the cupboard door and given him anything, not even when Harry’d given in and apologized for whatever it was he’d done. He’d liked Harry to smell what he couldn’t have and think about his misbehaviour.

Umbridge was just the same.

“She can wait all she likes.” Harry said in a fierce voice. “I’ll die choking.”

“Yes, I rather thought you’d say that.” Hermione said. “We’ll just have to take matters into our own hands.”

“What exactly does that mean?” Ron asked with a raised eyebrow.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did, please leave a comment below. Poor Harry's in the thick of it and Malfoy is the least helpful character to encounter.
Chapter 7 by WiCeBa
“I’ve been thinking on how to handle Umbridge for a while now.” Hermione whispered beneath her breath as she led them through the corridor. “I had thought we could put in an anonymous tip against her within the Ministry.”



“Good luck with that,” Ron said. “I doubt you could do much of anything against someone like her.”



“Well, yes.” Hermione nodded. “That was my conclusion.”



“I suppose you could write Fudge, but he’s useless as well.” Harry said with a sniff. A nauseous feeling began creeping up on him and he wondered if it was due to Umbridge’s behaviour or his messed up potion. He didn’t fancy shrinking in age after listening to Malfoy’s comments.



He reminded himself once more of how often Malfoy lied in the past.



“I’d considered that as well, you see.” Hermione said. “It still comes back to her behaviour though, well and truly.”



The three of them climbed several flights of stairs and made for the common room.



Ron gave Hermione a consoling look. “What did you expect, she’s ministry. They’re all like that.” He began ticking names off as he counted on his fingers. “Percy, Ludo Bagman, that bloke my dad works with who’s reported him, twice, you know the one. Barty Crouch even.”



“Senior.” Hermione corrected with a whisper. “Barty Crouch Snr.”



Harry shuddered as he thought of the two Barty’s and Winky. He hadn’t seen Winky yet and he wondered how she was getting on.



“Lucius Malfoy as well, someone we don’t really need evidence of being rotten,” Ron continued. “There’s Yaxley too. My dad’s mentioned him once or twice.” He said with a dark look.



“Who was it Fudge brought to handle Buckbeak?” Harry asked as he remembered the frighteningly excited man who’d been charged with putting Buckbeak to death.



“Macnair.” Ron said. “Another foul git.”



Hermione scrunched her nose and nodded. “Regardless, I’d thought we might be able to launch a school enquiry.”



“Good luck with that as well. I doubt Umbridge would let anything like that get off the ground.” Harry said as turned down the hallway towards the portrait hole.



“Which is why—” Hermione stressed, giving them both a firm look.



Harry was struck with an awkward pang as he realized how often he and Ron cut Hermione off when she was speaking.



“To say nothing of how quickly she’d find out it was you who launched the enquiry.” Ron continued, failing to come to the same conclusion as Harry. “Umbridge is easily nasty enough to keep you after class and pry the information out of you.”



“I had thought some media attention would be helpful.” Hermione said loudly.



Harry’s previous awkwardness evaporated. “No.”



He dreaded the idea of enlisting the help of anyone like Rita Skeeter. He didn’t need to imagine how terrible an interview with her would go given last year, and his thoughts spun unhelpfully toward what would happen if she somehow uncovered his potion issue. She’d never let something like that go unreported.



What if she put together what happened and guessed how Snape had helped Harry? Would she write about Dumbledore’s behaviour and the Dursley’s reactions?



His heart began to pound and he suddenly felt too warm, despite the cool castle around him.



They couldn’t possibly do an interview with her.



He shook his head after remembering how few people truly knew what had happened and it was increasingly unlikely that anyone would spill the truth to Skeeter.



Snape wouldn’t say anything, no matter what Malfoy’d sworn he’d done.



His worry lingered regardless of his reasoning. The determined look in Hermione’s eyes had Harry fearing how far she’d go to handle Umbridge.



“Harry, you haven’t even listened—”



“Even if you’ve got Skeeter on some tight leash, you can’t be sure she won’t decide to become legally registered and then print something about you attempting to blackmail her.” Harry said as they climbed through the portrait hole. “Just because she acts stupid doesn’t mean she isn’t dangerous.”



Hermione scoffed. “Informing the public will put pressure on Umbridge.”



“A front page like that would have to pass Fudge.” Ron said before glaring at several students who looked to be eavesdropping and lowering his voice. “And I doubt it would.”



“The Daily Prophet isn’t owned by the Ministry, it just slants favourably toward them.” Hermione’s voice tightened angrily. “I had thought of something to help further this, but now I’m not sure I want to say.”



Harry crossed his arms. “You think Skeeter’s going to go for some story about Umbridge’s poor teaching—”



“No. I do think Skeeter will write about a student having been attacked by a ministry official though.” Hermione snapped. “She’d jump at a story like that.”



“She’d jump at anything you give her in order to twist it how she likes.” Harry snapped back. “Remember all that foul stuff she wrote about you last year? Or what she wrote about Hagrid?”



“Hermione, come on.” Ron started as he dropped their library books on a table. “You can’t control Skeeter. She’s the one with the fans right now.”



Hermione’s cheeks darkened and her nose scrunched again. She looked to be debating Ron’s comment, but Harry was unwilling to give her the benefit of the doubt. She’d taken matters into her own hands whenever she’d felt it was necessary in the past. He’d often agreed with her before as well, but he couldn’t contain the sharp worry that beat down on him and whispered about what lengths she’d go to.



“I don’t see why you won’t consider it.” She finally said. “It’s a scandal—”



“I don’t need a scandal.” Harry hissed. “I have enough,” He paused and tried to remember to occlude as his anger rose. “I have enough to be getting on with. I’ll wait this out as long as I have to. It’s not like Umbridge is smart enough to have invented this,” He shoved a finger toward the phantom ribbons that seemed to wake at the thought of them. “This thing! There’s got to be a solution. I don’t need to be—”



“No!” Hermione said fiercely. “You don’t need help. You’re just fine!” Her voice rose and drew several eyes toward their conversation. “Aren’t you?”



Harry inhaled and tried to keep his temper from exploding. “Hermione, I don’t want to involve Rita Skeeter in my life. I don’t know why you want to—”



“Because Umbridge is endangering ours!” Hermione shrieked.



Ginny appeared quite suddenly to their right. Her fingers curled around Hermione’s arm and startled them both from their argument.



“I don’t mean to pry, really,” She started with a concerned sound before giving Hermione a carefully agreeable nod and asking, “But is this the best place to be having this?”



Hermione twisted and tossed a quick look through the common room and found more than a few eyes on her. A flush crept across her cheeks, though Harry didn’t think she looked very apologetic.



Thankfully, most of their house seemed to have the good sense to focus quite pointedly on their own conversations.



“Probably better without Skeeter, whatever it is.” Neville said weakly from the window seat.



“Shove off Longbottom, if it’s helpful against Umbridge, I say talk.” Seamus said with a sneer. “It’s the least you could do, Potter.”



“Bugger off Finnigan, no one asked for your opinion.” Ron said.



Harry debated twisting around and escaping to Snape’s office. He mentally tried to convince himself of how childish that would be, as Snape wouldn’t be able to do much aside from agree or disagree with Harry about Skeeter, but Harry wanted him all the same.



He idly reminded himself of every other thing he’d stacked onto Snape’s plate and begged himself to ignore the urge to go blabbing to Snape.



Malfoy’s comments rang in his ears once more.



“No.” Seamus said as he stood abruptly from his chair. It rocked on its legs and Dean looked as if he wanted to tug him back into his seat. “I think if you’ve got some plan to handle Umbridge, you can go ahead and tell all.”



Harry tried to picture the snitch and wondered if he could hear the hum of beating wings or if he was actually, successfully occluding. Snape spoke of successful occlusion as if it were a calming and oddly blank space. Harry worried he was somehow moving backwards though, as he felt himself only growing angrier. Maybe the beating sound was his heart, rather than any helpful snitch.



Phantom ribbons slipped over his lips at the thought of discussing his issue with Skeeter.



“I don’t have any plans.” Harry said as he clenched his fists and his mum’s necklace warmed. “Handle Umbridge however you’d like—”



“That’s just it though,” Seamus said. “She’s here because of you!”



“You think I asked for her?” Harry asked with a shout. “What do you think, I strolled into the Ministry and said, ‘I don’t mean to pry, but’—” Ribbons began sliding over his jaw at an increasingly fast rate and Harry tried to breathe ahead of them. In spite of his building anger, an idea crept into the back of his mind. “A-a bloody mass-murdering m-megalomaniac crawled out from wherever he’d been hiding and now, if you bloody well please, send the worst person you can imagine to help!”



A bright feeling danced through him as the ribbons slid over his skin but didn’t constrict.



Something burnt tickled his nose and Harry belatedly realized he’d singed the table to their left. The brief euphoria of having spoken the truth without choking on his breath disappeared in a blink.



He darted backwards and shoved his wand in his back pocket.



“You’re a shite liar, Potter.” Seamus said. “You know what I’m—”



“Good on you to notice, Finnigan.” Harry said with a sharp nod. “Try using that logic on everything else I’ve said.” He added before storming out of the common room and making for Snape’s office.



“Harry!”



Someone shouted after him, but Harry ignored them as he sped down the stairs.



He knew, logically, Seamus wasn’t worth this level of anger. This was a compounded issue, one beginning with Malfoy and ending with Hermione. He shuddered and plucked at his school jumper as it clung to his sweaty back. Hermione knew how Harry felt about Skeeter. She knew how he felt about his life being plastered in the papers. He’d seen the articles dragging his experience from spring through the mud and he couldn’t bear the thought of dredging it all up for Skeeter.



What would she say if he suddenly stopped speaking and dropped into his thoughts?



She’d probably write about how cracked he was, in spite of how cracked being tied to a tombstone while Pettigrew brewed a potion to regrow Voldemort’s body, made a person.



If he brought the rat up, she’d likely write about Harry being even more delusional than he sounded.



Pettigrew’s beady eyes glittered from inside shadowed alcoves and his bloody stump of a hand drifted gruesomely in the forefront of Harry’s mind. He knew for certain that despite the soft snickers of Death Eaters tickling his ears, he was painfully alone. The bright castle faded into the corner of his eyes and he hoped his feet would lead him to Snape even if he did drop into his thoughts.



Seamus wouldn’t be constantly whinging if his friend had been killed in front of him and he’d been cut open and tortured. He probably would’ve been allowed to stay with his family immediately afterward, on top of having received some sort of help, rather than sent on his way with a dodgy story no one believed.



Ribbons whispered over Harry’s jaw and he wondered if he could hear an odd, strained breathing or if he was imagining it.



He could hardly remember what his own breathing had sounded like when Voldemort had begun dueling with him. It’d probably been much less strained and far more terrified. Maybe he hadn’t breathed at all.



Frigid air swept through his overheated hair and he belatedly noticed he’d made it into the dungeons. A dank, moldy smell folded around him.



He stopped short as the worry of whether or not Snape was busy rushed through him. He’d stormed down here so quickly he hadn’t even given a moment to consider it. He supposed that was due to how easy it was to fall into what had been habit when they’d been in Germany, but since classes had really begun picking up and aside from their first few days, Harry hadn’t had a pressing reason to find Snape outside of their after lessons meetings.



After twisting around and searching the winding hallways, Harry found a dark corner, which he slipped into and tried to slow his breathing. There was something itching and uncomfortable about turning up to Snape’s office in a condition Harry might’ve called panic, if he was being honest.



There were about a thousand things he hadn’t considered before coming down here either. In his anger, he’d forgotten about everything that’d occurred before his and Hermione’s argument.



Hermione had warned him about Snape’s addiction to the Dark Arts and his overwhelming list of duties blinked neatly into Harry’s mind. Malfoy’s nasty comments, comments which Harry couldn’t be sure were actually lies or not, added themselves below Hermione’s worries. Harry’s own fears about Dumbledore and the prophecy landed somewhere below, along with Voldemort and the increasingly concerning dreams he’d had about him joined in as well.



Umbridge’s simpering cough echoed from somewhere near Harry and he froze.



He knew he was well hidden and students were allowed to roam the halls still, it was hardly even dinner time yet.



It was Friday as well and they often had extended hours on the weekends.



Harry turned in place and tried to peer through the ever present gloom, but he could hardly see anything. He half wondered if he’d imagined Umbridge’s grating throat cough amongst his list of problems, but before he turned away, he heard it again.



A soft voice joined it and Harry knew immediately who the second voice belonged to, as it was the same voice that brought him out of his nightmares and panicking thoughts.



Though, in this particular instance, there was something far more steely lingering within than Harry was used to.



“Thank you very much, Severus,” Umbridge said. Her voice washed through the thin hallways and Harry struggled to parse through the sounds. He wondered what she’d done in between arguing with McGonagall and speaking with Snape, as hardly any time had passed between the two conversations. “Lucius informed me of how helpful you’d be. He was quite right, as usual.”



“Mr Malfoy is rarely wrong.” Snape answered back.



Harry’s first instinct was to rush out and scream a barrage of questions, but he tucked himself tighter into his dark corner and stoutly ignored the dark, beady eyes sparkling above a severed hand to his left.



The hand was imagined, entirely so. He tried to convince his heart of that, though it seemed deaf to his reasoning.



Lucius Malfoy was wrong far too often and Snape knew that. Harry knew that as well, as he was used to smelling it on his stinking, overly polished boots. Lucius shook and shivered and Harry’d flicked his tongue near the man enough to know how confident he appeared, but how frail he truly was.



A bitter taste brushed across the back of Harry’s tongue, and he couldn’t shake the angered feeling that came from listening to Snape speak with Umbridge. It was wrong. A selfish urge wormed around Harry’s thoughts at the idea of the two interacting. He knew it was an illogical feeling, as they were both professors, co-workers actually, and they’d likely spoken before, but this selfish feeling didn’t agree with what Harry somehow decided was the fact of the matter.



Snape was Harry’s. Umbridge was taking something that wasn’t hers.



Harry shuddered as something cold and slippery slowly began to circle around his ankles and he forced himself not to look down. He dreaded what it might be, as the last time he’d felt something slick there, it’d been Nagini.



She couldn’t be in the castle though. It’d have been impossible for her to both break through the enchantments surrounding the entrances, and to then make it across the grounds and into the dungeons without being seen. She was massive. She was massive and there were students wandering everywhere. Harry’d passed several on his way down to see Snape.



“I shall keep you informed then.” Umbridge’s voice drifted off and the heavy sound of an iron banded door slammed after it.



Snape was likely safe in his office and free to speak with Harry by the sounds of it.



If he wasn’t, Harry didn’t know what he’d do. Or, he did know what he’d do, as something told him Snape would listen whether or not he wanted to.



Harry shook his head and tried to push that thought away as his earlier list of worries struggled to overtake the oppressive confidence informing him that Snape would do exactly what Harry told him to.



He fled the dark corner and idly ignored the blood dripping down his elbow as he wound his way toward Snape’s office.



A soft, almost humorous thought blinked in the back of his mind and asked him if he should pay better attention to where he was going, but Harry answered back in a wry tone and reminded himself of all of the detentions he’d served in there.



He came upon the door quickly and shoved it open without a second thought.



Snape’s head flew upwards and several emotions flickered across his eyes, though Harry wasn’t sure if he had names for all of them.



“Harry?” He asked softly.



He held a large, black feather quill in one hand and it looked as if Harry’d caught him in the middle of marking essays, though Harry knew better, as he’d just heard him speaking with Umbridge.



“What did Umbridge want?” Harry asked suddenly.



Snape’s face drained to a truly unhealthy looking colour and he became almost still enough to where Harry couldn’t tell if he was breathing or not.



He glided from the doorway and neared Snape’s desk. He wasn’t sure why that question was the first to spring into his mind, but he wanted to know why she’d been so pleased with Snape now more than ever.



“Why did she think you’d be so helpful?” Harry asked.



Snape’s dark eyes drilled into Harry’s and Harry had the sudden feeling of trying to interrogate a brick wall.



“Professor Snape,” A nervous voice that reminded Harry of Crabbe Snr preceded a child running into the office. Harry’s brain seemed to misfire for a moment and he couldn’t guess how he’d known what Crabbe Snr sounded like, or why he would be anywhere near the dungeons, or Snape for that matter before a sudden, horrible weakness rattled his knees. “Draco—”



“Stupefy!” A bright red light shot out from Snape’s wand and slammed into Crabbe, dropping him solidly to the ground.



Harry fell as well, though it had nothing to do with Snape’s spell. His head felt full of wool and he couldn’t seem to keep a solid thought for longer than a moment. He half debated if he should cast something to soften the floor, but he didn’t think he could move fast enough.



All of his worrying ended up in vain, as Snape’s hands appeared under Harry’s arms seconds before he’d have landed.



Snape moved quicker than Harry thought he’d ever seen him act before.



He watched as Snape half carried him toward his desk and set him into a chair before disappearing, likely to deal with whatever had happened to Crabbe.



Crabbe had only been stunned as far as Harry could tell, but then, Harry wasn’t very sure of much of anything at the moment. He knew he disliked the chair Snape had sat him in, as it was the one he’d often found himself forced into before he’d served detention in years past. The wooden backing dug into his back and did nothing for the soreness bleeding into every inch of his body.



Sounds quickly filtered into his ears and before he knew it, Snape’s dark eyes were drilling once more into his own.



Harry blinked confusedly back and nearly asked for Snape to transfigure the wooden chair into a soft armchair like he often did during their meetings, but before he could speak, Snape’s arms slipped around him in a careful, gentle hug.



He couldn’t tell who was trembling, as he didn’t have the best grasp of himself at the moment, but he thought it might be Snape.



“What,” Harry started before coughing against his oddly sore throat. “Why did you do that? Why did you stun Crabbe?”



Snape backed away and inhaled slowly. “Did you curse Draco Malfoy?” He asked instead of answering Harry.



Harry shook his head ‘no’. “No.” He added. “Did you?”



Snape’s hands lingered near Harry as if he worried he would topple over at any second, but he didn’t move beyond that.



“Several students have made statements claiming you did.” Snape said. “Though no one seems to know what you cursed him with.”



“I didn’t.” Harry said. “I mean, he,” He paused as the fogginess clinging to his thoughts lingered in a frustratingly persistent way. Harry could still remember something he’d promised to either do or not do, but he couldn’t very well remember what it was at the moment. “He was being awful. Hermione said we should report him.”



Snape nodded. “Did you?”



Harry shook his head ‘no’ again. “McGongall got into a fight with Umbridge and I didn’t think she'd listen to what I said. But, I wanted to know, what did Umbridge want?” Harry asked again. “Just a few minutes ago?”



“Wait.” Snape said as he held a hand up. “Did anything else happen between you and Mr Malfoy.”



“No. I mean, he was being awful and Hermione told him to go away.”



Snape was quiet for a long moment and Harry worried briefly about Malfoy’s health. The office seemed to only grow quieter as their silence filled the room.



“May I see your wand?” Snape finally asked.



“Why?”



Snape stared at him and a sinking feeling slammed into Harry.



“You think I’m lying.” He said.



“No.” Snape said firmly.



“I’m not a liar.” Harry said. A fierce urge to scream cut through him despite his soreness and he very nearly gave in. Malfoy’s earlier comments echoed in his ears and Harry suddenly found himself hoping that whatever had happened to him, hurt.



“I do not think you’re lying, Harry.” Snape said softly. “I’m worried you’re telling the truth.”



Harry blinked dumbly as his anger whorled into confusion once more.



He couldn’t guess why Snape would look so worried unless something truly dreadful had happened. Harry silently berated himself for having wished anything other than a bit of minor inconvenience on Malfoy. Maybe he wished for something a bit more than minor, but Harry certainly didn’t wish he was dead or anything of that sort.



“Please give me your wand. I’ll give it back in a moment.”



Harry fumbled with thick feeling fingers as he passed it over.



Snape made a quick movement as he whispered “Priori Incantato.” Harry was reminded of Amos Diggory having cast the same spell after the Quidditch World Cup.



A hazy green colour began billowing like smoke from the tip of Harry's wand. Snape flicked it several times as he shook it away. Harry watched with a deepening sense of confusion. He hadn’t remembered grabbing his wand and casting anything at Malloy, and he had a horrible realization that what he’d decided was accidental might’ve been a bit more intentional.



“That is a relative of the jelly legs curse.” Snape said before handing Harry’s wand back. “Cast accio, please.”



“On what?” Harry asked dumbly.



Snape pointed toward his black feather quill and Harry did as asked with a whisper. The quill sailed toward him and Harry caught it easily. He spun it idly as he questioned his own afternoon. He couldn’t understand how he’d cast anything at Malfoy given his anger, or when he’d have found the time to learn, remember and nonverbally cast a relative of the curse.



“Do you remember what you said to me?” Snape asked.



Harry blinked upwards. “When?”



“A moment ago, when you walked in the door.” He said. “You spoke in parseltongue.” Snape began slowly.



“I did?”



Snape nodded. “You don’t remember?”



“Well, I, erm—” Harry stammered.



He suddenly wasn’t very sure of anything after having heard he spoke parseltongue and he was fairly certain he’d never been able to unintentionally speak that language unless a snake had been present, though he supposed he’d never realized when he’d spoken it before.



Had Nagini been present then?



He flinched backwards and tried to jump to his feet, but Snape caught him.



“Nagini!” Harry said in a strained voice. “I’d—she’d been, or I thought I’d felt her but I didn’t look down! I thought it—she was the same as Pettigrew!”



Snape sat him carefully back into the chair and stepped away as he searched over the room with a critical eye. He turned his wand in a jab like movement, but nothing appeared. He repeated the movement several more times before returning to Harry.



“We’re alone.” He said in a quiet voice.



Harry struggled to understand when he’d missed what’d happened. His mum’s necklace warmed in a comforting way, but it didn’t seem to help. In the past, he’d usually been aware of when things turned and went horribly wrong, but he couldn’t guess when it happened this time.



He’d been fine for weeks.



It’d been a rough few weeks, but he hadn’t been stuffed in any cupboards, nor did he uncover anything so emotionally exhausting as Dumbledore’s true expectations. He’d gone to class and just tried to push through everything going on.



Harry’s glasses slipped from his face and Snape’s pressed a long finger down his nose.



“Try and relax, we’ll circle back. Do you have any blank spots, or anything missing from your memory.” Snape asked slowly. “Anything at all that doesn’t add up.”



“I don’t know.” Harry whinged. “Maybe, maybe one when I was mad at Malfoy, but it was for less than a second.” He added as he combed over his memories with a panicked fervor. “I thought I remembered everything.” He said in a small voice.



“One spot, when you were angry with Mr Malfoy.”



“But,” Harry began. “But it was only for a second, because he sent that pacifier at me.”



Snape’s finger continued sweeping slowly along his nose as Harry tried to think back on when else he might’ve had a blank spot. He wasn’t even sure he’d blanked when Malfoy’d been taunting him, as Harry’s furious reaction had been almost ironically typical of their previous interactions.



“Did you keep the pacifier?” Snape asked. “It could serve as evidence.”



Harry shook his head ‘no’.



“I will ensure Mr Malfoy’s bullying doesn’t end up causing you expulsion, but I need more information about what happened. You don’t have any other blank spots?” Snape asked as he pulled away and gave Harry a questioning look.



“I’m not sure the one with Malfoy even is one.” Harry said. “I don’t think I have any blank spots. I knew what I was doing, I mean, aside from when I apparently cursed Malfoy.” He twisted and tried to spot Crabbe as he mentally ran through the last few hours. He wondered what Snape would do with him, or what Crabbe had wanted. “What did you do with Crabbe.”



“He’s safe.” Snape said. “He’s lost a moment of his memory, but he believes he told me his portion of the events between you and Mr Malfoy.”



Snape’s use of the word ‘safe’ sank sickly through Harry. He couldn’t rationalize himself as the one who warranted that level of worry.



He knew it was a logical leap. He’d spoken in parseltongue and given Snape a clear warning of something being horribly wrong, but he despised having put that fear into both himself and Snape.



“I am not in the business of stunning students.” Snape’s hands appeared under Harry’s and he helped him to stand. “Nor would I ever condone removing pieces of student’s memories, however, in light of what may have happened, it appeared to be the safest route for all involved.”



“I didn’t-I mean, I just wanted to know.” Harry said as they made their way toward Snape’s chambers. The uncomfortable darkness swallowing the passageways felt almost safe at the moment, despite how much Harry usually disliked it. “I thought he was Crabbe Snr.” Harry added.



Snape’s hand tightened for a brief second.



“I didn’t know why he’d be here though,” Harry whispered. “Or why you’d trust Lucius Malfoy. He’s a liar.”



“He is.” Snape said before giving a password to a grim looking painted knight and leading Harry into the sitting room. “He always has been.”



“What did Umbridge want with you?” Harry asked as he dropped onto the couch. “That’s what I’d asked you when I walked in, but I-I didn’t realize it was in parseltongue.” He added and grabbed Ms Eileen’s knit cover. A distinctly uncomfortable sensation wormed under his skin and left him feeling worse than when the ribbons choked him. He hadn’t thought anything could get much worse than the ribbons, but he’d been laughably wrong.



“This has happened before.” Snape said. He sat next to him and seemed to want to pull Harry into another hug, though Harry was unsure of how helpful that would be. He wanted it all the same. “Perhaps not exactly this, but a version of it.”



Harry shook his head ‘no’ and wished to throw the cover over his eyes. “I don’t think this has ever happened before.”



“You told me you saw the Dark Lord in your cupboard.” Snape said in a soft voice. “And again before you escaped Privet Drive.”



“That was different. I knew it was him, I couldn’t ignore it.”



“Did you ignore something this time?”



“Nagini. I ignored her because I thought she was the same as Pettigrew and I thought Pettigrew was just,” Harry paused as nausea built in his stomach and crept coldly up his throat. “It wasn’t real, but I knew it wasn’t real.”



Snape breathed slowly several times before finally gathering Harry into a hug. “I don’t think we can put off speaking to Dumbledore about this for much longer.” He whispered. “We need more information.”



Harry shook his head in a wild movement and shoved his face into the corner of Snape’s neck.



“He’s going to say I’m cracked and send me to the Dursleys.”



“He can’t send you away while you’re in school. It’d bring questions down on him and he doesn’t have much room to maneuver beneath Umbridge's watch.” Snape said. “Umbridge is here to ensure Dumbledore doesn’t amass some ridiculous student army.”



Harry’s thoughts stalled at Snape’s comment. “A student army?”



“The Ministry is expending quite a lot of manpower on a fear that has very little reason to exist. They’re terrified Dumbledore will overtake the Ministry.”



“With a student army.” Harry repeated. “An army of students.”



“They’re more driven than they look, but yes.” Snape said. “Umbridge is present to ensure you aren’t battle ready, despite the obvious need for it, due to politics. Regardless, Dumbledore cannot remove you without drawing mass suspicion. I’m sure he knows more than either of us are aware of, but we can’t put off meeting with him.” He added in a dry tone. “Not after what just happened.”



“Should we meet with him now?” Harry asked as nausea roiled through him again.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading!! 🖤 I hope you guys enjoyed it, if you did, please leave a comment below! I adore reading them and they keep me company during studying for midterms.
Chapter 8 by WiCeBa
Snape’s eyes flickered toward the decorative ceiling tiles and he appeared to be caught in a thought.

“You said we’d need to be careful before talking to him.” Harry started as he tucked the knit cover tighter around himself. He couldn’t seem to shake the cold that sank through him at the thought of having been perceived as truly dangerous. For years Harry’d danced around the public’s blurred perception of the danger he posed, but he’d never been too bothered by it before. He knew himself well enough to know he was harmless.

Unintentionally speaking parseltongue and alarming Snape wasn’t harmless though.

“We need more information. This,” Snape began softly. “This can’t happen again.”

Harry gave him a wild look. “Could it happen again?!”

He didn’t know why he felt so horrified at that thought. If it had already happened once, the chance it could happen again was growing by the minute. It was a logical assumption to make. There was no rhyme or reason to why it’d happened though, as Harry felt Snape’s two examples were worlds apart.

The nausea in his throat tightened at the thought.

One involved Harry’s cupboard and Dumbledore’s reaction, and the other, Snape and Umbridge’s assumption about him working for her. Aside from Harry being angry about both instances, there wasn’t a grand amount to be shared.

“You’ve gone through it several times already, there’s no denying it could happen again.” Snape said, almost as if he read Harry’s thoughts. His dark eyes dropped from the ceiling and landed on Harry.

“But that was nearly two months ago!” Harry said nervously.

Two months ago and entirely separate from what had happened today.

“Two months ago it happened twice in a row.” Snape said sharply. “We don’t know if this is the second time this has happened today either, as you are unable to recall exactly what happened between yourself and Mr Malfoy.”

Harry slumped against the back of the tufted couch and tried to sort through their interaction once more.

He’d been angry and Malfoy, but that wasn’t unusual. He’d been angry at Malfoy loads of times in the past and he’d never cast spells he didn’t know or unintentionally speak parseltongue. His anger might tie the instances together, but that alone felt like a weak connection. Being angry at someone couldn’t make Harry speak parseltongue. It was the appearance of Nagini, real or imagined, that’d caused that. There were no snakes near Malfoy when they’d spoken either.

“What if you made me angry?” Harry asked, though the thought turned to ash in his mouth. “I dunno what Dumbledore will ask or do when we talk to him, but what if you make me angry and we see what happens?”

Harry wondered if that idea was too similar to something Sirius might suggest.

Snape’s eyes flashed over Harry once more. “I worry about intentionally making you angry. That, as a clinical trial, has too many subjective variables. You may not react naturally, first of all, as your reaction to stimuli will be heavily altered by your expectation of what you and I are searching for.”

Harry blinked dumbly and wound his hand around his mum’s pendant.

“How successful has your occlusion been lately?” Snape asked.

Harry blinked again. “Well, I thought I’d succeeded just before I came to visit you, but, erm.”

“But?” Snape asked.

A childish urge to whinge washed over Harry. He never knew if he’d occluded successfully or not. Snape had stressed how important it was for Harry to practice, and he could honestly say he’d tried. He’d tried to keep his emotions in check, along with his expectation and fears, but nothing seemed to work when it came to actually restraining himself. He’d hardly had a chance when it came to success either, given how much everyone seemed to want to bring his anger out of him.

“It’s,” Harry started as his fingers clenched around the pendant. It beat a warm rhythm into his palm. “It’s not really,” He dreaded the thought of admitting to his failure. Snape had spent ages teaching him and guiding him through the steps, but it often only felt helpful just before he went to sleep or directly after he screamed himself awake. Nausea rolled through him once more. “I just, I don’t think I’m always doing it correctly.” He said weakly.

Aunt Petunia’s voice hissed in the back of his mind and berated him for failing at seemingly simple tasks.

Snape inhaled slowly. “You’ve practiced clearing your mind before going to sleep?”

Harry nodded.

“And when you encounter Umbridge?” Snape asked.

Harry nodded again. “I picture the snitch, or sometimes just flying.” He said in a hopeful and convincing voice. “I try to calm myself down—” He explained.

“I think it would be best to do so, now.” Snape said with a slow nod. “That you’re trying should make these episodes less likely, but in order to question Dumbledore, we’ll need to present as a calm and methodical unit. The issue with discussing this with Dumbledore is that we will likely be unable to hide what happened.”

“Why are we talking to him then?” Harry asked as he sat up. “You said we wouldn’t need to ask him outright last time we talked about this.”

Snape nodded. “I did say that.” He stood and stepped toward his cluttered desk.

The last time Harry’d been in Snape’s sitting room, the desk had been a cluttered mess. It didn’t look as if it’d been cleaned since then either. In fact, Harry wondered if Snape had charmed the stacks of books to not tip over, given how tall they’d grown.

“However, Dumbledore does not exist in a bubble. He has likely investigated what happened since then, just as we’ve tried to curb any potential recurrences with Occlumency.” Snape said before grabbing several battered textbooks. “But we are now at a distinct disadvantage. While I have relied on second hand evidence through your interpretation of what occurred at Privet Drive, Dumbledore will have utilized direct evidence as well as prior experience. You worried about him cursing you and you ran away, rightfully so.” Snape’s soft footsteps brushed over the carpet as he made his way back toward the couch. “But this is something worse than I’d imagined.”

“Okay,” Harry said slowly. “Because I spoke parseltongue without realizing it?”

“No. Speaking parseltongue is not the symptom I am worried about.” Snape dropped the collection books onto the coffee table and took one from the top.

“It isn’t a good symptom though.” Harry said as something close to bitterness rose through him. He wished he could go a few years in the past and erase his encounter with Tom Riddle and the basilisk. The only instance he knew of where parseltongue hadn’t been directly related to something inherently evil was during Dudley’s eleventh birthday. “It’s dead awful.”

One slim dark eyebrow rose on Snape’s face. “Parseltongue has a complex history. It isn’t awful, your interactions with it haven’t shown it appropriately.”

“I wonder why that could be.” Harry snapped.

“Breathe.” Snape said in a forcibly calm voice. “Who do you think was the villain in the story of Adam and Eve?” He asked.

Harry stopped short at the out of place question. “Like Adam and Eve from the Bible?”

Snape nodded.

“Erm,” Harry started. He hardly remembered anything that had happened aside from there being a garden and Adam and Eve living within it. The Dursley’s weren’t religious and hadn’t put any emphasis on the lessons from the story. “I dunno?”

“The snake.” Snape said. “Eve spoke with the snake and was misled. Is she evil for having the ability to speak with snakes, or is the snake evil for misleading her?”

“That proves my point!” Harry said in a rush of anger. “The snake was evil!”

“Exactly.” Snape hissed. “Eve wasn’t, just like you aren’t! You are a person who can be coerced and misled, but not because you are inherently evil.” At some point he’d circled the coffee table and now towered over Harry as he pointed his book at him. “Being a parselmouth does not make you evil. What you choose to do with that skill can!”

Harry’s head hit the back of the couch and he realized belatedly that he’d been backing away throughout their conversation.

Snape blinked at Harry before abruptly swinging away. “Do you understand what I’m saying?” He asked in a softer voice as he slowly sat onto the couch.

Harry nodded wildly.

An odd mix of fear and comfort wove together through his thoughts. Seeing Snape tower over him felt almost as if he’d reverted to their previous dynamic before their relationship had changed, but his logic argued too fiercely in favour of Harry.

“Good.” Snape said with slow inhale. “As I said, your use of parseltongue isn’t the issue. Why you said what you said, is.” He added.

“I wanted to know why Umbridge thought you’d be helpful.” Harry said weakly.

“You did.” Snape nodded. “That is why I believe we should visit Dumbledore.”

“Because I was angry you were working with her?”

“Because you were angry I wasn’t working for you.” Snape corrected before swallowing heavily. “You and the Dark Lord sound different when you speak parseltongue, but you are similar with other behaviours.”

Harry shook his head ‘no’.

His fingers tightened around the pendant once more as a cramp split along his stomach. He’d hoped their similarities ended with their shared miserable childhoods and driven sense of purpose, he despised the idea of having another thing in common.

“You are highly skilled at legilimency when you choose to use it.” Snape said.

“I’m not.” Harry curled into himself. “You said I wasn’t because I can only see through Nagini’s eyes.”

Snape shook his head. “You’re quite skilled, despite what you may think. You cast it successfully on me after you asked me about Umbridge. My skill in Occlumency was the only thing that kept you out.” He said before looking at the book in his hand. “You aren’t skilled in Legilimency though, nordo you have a masterful degree of control over Occlumency. I have researched every reputable and disreputable author I could find since you’ve brought this to my attention. These are the few that offered even a glimpse of what you may be experiencing, but none of them can define it.”

Harry crept forward and nudged one of the books with a careful finger. The titles Snape had collected ranged from a friendly sounding ‘Mental Magic’s, a Compendium’, to the worrying looking, ‘The Ruin of Dark Magicks on the Mind’.

“Take a breath and occlude.” Snape said as he flipped through his book and seemed to search for a specific page. “Then we will speak with Dumbledore. We can use the instance with Mr Malfoy, rather than what occurred in my office.”

“Will that work?” Harry asked as the reality of what happened weighed on him.

“It’s an inevitable meeting.” Snape said. “Whether or not it will work, we need to know what he knows.”

For some reason, Harry’d thought this issue would go away on its own. He didn’t know why, as nothing had ever just gone away on its own in Harry’s experience. Even if it didn’t, he hadn’t thought anything could wake it up.

He didn’t fancy meeting with Dumbledore again. They didn’t know what he might say or do, and they were unaware of any conclusions he might have drawn since the meeting at Privet Drive.

The prophecy loomed over Harry. It sank like poison through his thoughts and blackened everything it touched. He’d tried to avoid ruminating on it in the past, as once he started, it was very difficult to stop. Every interaction shriveled into dust beneath its shadow, reminding him in an abstract way, that Voldemort targeted Harry for something neither of them fully understood.

Dumbledore knew what happened, though he hadn’t told Harry.

“Harry.”

Harry breathed sharply as he blinked around the cluttered sitting room. A tight pinch cut between Snape’s eyebrows as his face appeared in Harry’s line of sight.

Snape’s finger had floated near his nose, but pulled away quickly.

“Occlude.”

Harry gave it his best shot, but sooner than he’d have liked, he found himself staring into Dumbledore’s twinkling blue eyes.

He thought idly about when he’d last seen a genuine twinkle.

“Good evening Harry.”

Harry mumbled a greeting and brushed at the ash coating his school robes. He wanted to rub at the bruise forming along his hip from where he’d fallen coming out of the floo, but worried it would make him look too vulnerable.

A colourful evening sunlight bathed the old wooden floor and made the office seem far more harmless than Harry knew it was. Dumbledore blended into his delicate instruments and baubles almost as if he were one of them. Harry felt distinctly out of place, yet welcome in a somewhat secretive way. It was uncomfortably pleasant and it made Harry curious if Dumbledore charmed his office to set visitors at ease. It’d certainly explain the immediate relaxation that’d soothed his shoulders when he’d arrived.

It didn’t much matter what Dumbledore cast on his office, because it wouldn’t work on Harry.

Harry wouldn’t let it, more specifically.

“Severus.” Dumbledore greeted Snape as he entered the room in a flash of green fire. “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

The shiny curios littering the desk and bookshelves chimed and spun in quiet, slow movements. It seemed almost as if they were in league with Dumbledore in keeping his visitors calm, as Harry felt his breathing fall in line with their rhythmic back and forth ticking.

“I’ve no doubt you’re well aware of why we are here.” Snape said. “Or has Madam Pomfrey not spoken with you yet?”

Snape’s hand slipped over Harry’s shoulder and led him toward a high backed chair.

“Rather the opposite Severus,” Dumbledore said as he closed what looked like a journal and stowed it in a drawer. The orange and yellow stripes on his glittery purple robes swapped colours as he moved. “Poppy has spoken with me, but she neglected to provide me with a very clear explanation. Am I to assume you’ve procured one?”

“In a manner of speaking.” Snape said.

Harry wondered if they were speaking a different language, despite the fact that he knew all the words they used.

“Mr Malfoy behaved in an abominable fashion.” Snape said as he sat in his own chair. “For which, Harry defended himself, but was as unaware of what was cast upon Mr Malfoy as Mr Malfoy was himself.”

The brightness in Dumbledore’s eyes faltered briefly as they slid from Snape to Harry.

“Harry, is this true?” Dumbledore asked.

Harry swallowed heavily and looked away from Dumbledore’s eyes. There was something hypocritical about hiding from potential legilimency when Harry’d forced it on Snape earlier. It would probably help their case if he let Dumbledore know what he was thinking. He abhorred the very idea of it though. Despite how Snape had worded it, he knew visiting Dumbledore was their way of admitting to needing his help.

Harry hadn’t quite decided if they needed his help, as he was still sure Snape could solve most anything.

He was reminded quite suddenly of the night he’d had a vision of Bellatrix Lestrange and how Snape and Sirius had gone to Dumbledore for help.

Who could say if Dumbledore had been helpful at the time though?

No one had helped Harry escape Privet Drive until Snape came along. Dumbledore had known Harry’d been treated poorly and never attempted to rectify his mistake. Why did Snape always run to Dumbledore when he was well aware of his failures? Why didn’t he go elsewhere? What use did Dumbledore offer him?

A soft voice argued about how he provided a century of education and research, but Harry mentally sniffed at it.

Dumbledore’s century of existence led to fourteen miserable years for Harry and a hidden prophecy.

“I see what you mean, Severus.” Dumbledore said, jerking Harry from his thoughts. “Harry would you mind allowing me into your thoughts for a brief moment?”

Harry gave a harsh sounding laugh before shaking his head ‘no’.

“Not with magic, Harry.” Dumbledore said as he folded his hands over his desk. “I only wanted for us to have a discussion. I am aware of who I’ve made myself to be in your eyes, and I shall endeavor to atone—”

“You can’t.” Harry said as his eyes drifted around the bookshelves. “You’re a liar.”

Dumbledore’s striped purple shoulders fell and Harry couldn’t tell if he felt awful or vindicated for saying that.

How many years had Harry swallowed his title as ‘Dumbledore’s man’ through and through, though? How many years had Harry championed a man who’d acted so far against Harry’s best interests? He’d been played and Dumbledore hadn’t been on Harry’s side for even a moment, had he?

He tried to remind himself, however distantly, of how kind Dumbledore had been to Harry since he’d been at Hogwarts. No matter how much trouble Harry’d gotten into, he’d always listened to him and tried to help him. Harry knew he could come up with examples of Dumbledore’s kindness if he tried, but they paled in comparison to what had been uncovered over the summer.

A man who locked children in cupboards and claimed it was for the best wasn’t a kind man. Ms Eileen’s calm voice echoed in his ears and reminded him of Dumbledore’s lack of understanding when it came to Harry’s experiences.

Harry wondered idly if Dumbledore might be like the snake from Snape’s earlier story. He seemed to constantly mislead everyone around him.

“For the time being, I’m going to ask you to suspend your anger so I may better help you.” Dumbledore said in a weathered voice.

“The two are interwoven, Headmaster.” Snape said. “You cannot separate previous experiences and request a clean slate despite how much you may wish to.”

Harry’s eyes flickered downward and landed on Dumbledore’s face. The careful mask Harry’d seen twice before flashed across his face in spite of the kind, grandfatherly way Dumbledore spoke. It wasn’t cracked like it had been in Grimmauld Place, rather, it appeared in perfect condition.

A shiver ran up Harry’s spine at the sight of it. It moved with Dumbledore and blinked when he did, but it was present all the same.

“Nonetheless, I will endeavor to atone for my behaviour Harry.” Dumbledore gave him a soft look. Harry struggled to guess what his reasoning behind that might be, but before he could think on it too long, Dumbledore spoke again. “Did you cast a curse on Mr Malfoy?”

Harry blinked and realized he’d had yet to look away. “I didn’t.” He said quickly. “I pulled my wand out and then he was on the ground.”

“You don’t recall casting anything or you didn’t cast anything?” Dumbledore asked.

“I don’t remember casting anything.” Harry said as he tried to hide his clenched fists in his lap.

Dumbledore nodded slowly. “Mr Malfoy is in good condition according to Poppy. Whatever it was you cast was reversible, though I am aware of it’s darker nature.” He added with a cautious tilt of his head.

Harry blinked at the careful movements and wondered if Dumbledore was consciously treating him as if he would explode any second. He mentally berated himself for that thought moments later. Dumbledore knew precisely what he was doing because he did everything with precision and conscious thought. Harry was almost curious about when the last time Dumbledore had acted without an ulterior motive had been.

“Perhaps you could inform us as to why Harry would cast a spell of a darker nature without prior knowledge.” Snape asked.

“Are you aware of any other instances where this may have happened?” Dumbledore asked as he looked at Harry.

“Maybe when you were about to curse me.” Harry said in a tight voice. “Back in Privet Drive.”

Dumbledore’s eyes flew wide. “Curse you?”

“Yes!” Harry snapped as a floodgate of badly controlled anger boiled in his stomach. “When you told Aunt Petunia you didn’t care about whether or not I was hurt!”

“Harry!” Dumbledore said loudly. “I have never in my life wished for you to come to harm.”

“But you did nothing to stop it!” Harry shouted back. “You knew! You knew it was bad!” He kicked his chair back as he stood.

Snape slipped between the two of them though it didn’t seem to help. Harry couldn’t tell if what thrummed through him was fear at confronting Dumbledore or righteousness for speaking about what bothered him.

The realization that Harry’d derailed and likely ruined their chances to get information out of Dumbledore without alerting him to any suspicion nearly had Harry stopping and apologizing. He couldn’t ignore the way Dumbledore acted about his hand in Harry’s childhood though.

Dumbledore’s crooked nose twitched as inhaled slowly and held his hands aloft in a pacifying manner.

“Harry, I have never attempted to curse you. Please believe me on that.”

“You’re lying.” Harry said as he peered around Snape and recalled the terrifying way Dumbledore’s eyes had hardened on him at Privet Drive. “Tell the truth!”

Dumbledore’s wand flashed into his hand and Harry dodged backwards.

The rhythmic instruments and baubles littering the shelves whirred to life as Harry came closer. They began to scream his position despite it being obvious in the small office.

“Wands away, Albus.” Snape said in a soft voice. Harry wasn’t sure how he’d heard him over the din echoing around them. Snape crept backwards as he moved closer to Harry. He seemed well aware of how to position his tall frame to cover Harry’s.

Dumbledore stood in a slow, careful movement that had nothing to do with his frail age. His shoulders straightened and he began to appear decades younger by the second. He neglected to put his wand away as he moved.

“Did you attempt to curse Harry?” Snape asked as he clenched his wand tightly. Harry realized belatedly that he hadn’t noticed when Snape pulled it out.

“Your assistance is unnecessary here, Severus.” Dumbledore said sharply.

“I will be the judge of that.” Snape said. “The truth, please.”

“I quite agree.” Dumbledore said. “Though, I don’t believe Tom will be open to it.”

Harry blinked confusedly for a brief second before his own wand appeared in his hand in a rush of anger. He wasn’t sure how useful it would be against Dumbledore, but he’d used magic he didn’t know earlier today, so there was a distinct chance it could happen again.

He wasn’t positive he wanted it to happen again, but if it did, he wouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth.

“I am not Tom Riddle!” Harry said fiercely. “When you wrong two people and they both call you out, it doesn’t make them the same!” He added as he thought of the uncomfortably similar way Dumbledore treated Tom’s request to stay at Hogwarts over the holidays to Harry’s. He sometimes struggled to recall everything he’d learnt from the memory within Tom’s diary, but he clearly remembered his plea to stay somewhere safe. “You’re the one that stayed the same! You’re the problem!”

Harry could admit to having learnt of a few more similarities recently, but there weren’t enough to rename him as Voldemort and treat him as if they were the same two people. The urge to look Dumbledore in the eye flew through him, but he remained safely behind Snape, for all the good it would do.

“Severus, I cannot judge this situation without investigating thoroughly.” Dumbledore said as he rounded the corner of his desk. “Please let me through.”

The noisy collection rattling over the shelves began to settle into a dull, blurry sound.

“Explain why you believe the Dark Lord is present.” Snape said sharply. “And why my dark mark isn’t burning despite your belief that he is here.”

Dumbledore paused. “Harry, does your scar hurt?” He asked.

Harry looked upwards despite knowing he couldn’t see his scar. It hadn’t burned in the last few hours, nor had it woken with any truly angered response in the last week. It burned on and off, but no less than what Harry’d grown accustomed to.

“No.” He said as he trailed an oddly stiff finger over the jagged scar. It hadn’t hurt when he’d seen Nagini, and Harry wasn’t sure if he should be worried about that or not.

“You have no answer for that question then?” Snape asked. “Answer the next one instead, did you attempt to curse Harry at Privet Drive?”

“No.” Dumbledore said.

Harry finally felt safe enough to peer around Snape, though he wished he hadn’t. Dumbledore’s blue eyes had flattened and no longer seemed to suit him.

“Then what were you about to do?” Harry asked, unable to look away from Dumbledore’s eerie expressionless face.

He wondered if he’d fallen into his thoughts, as a stiffness trailed from his fingers and into his chest.

“I was going to investigate to what extent Tom is able to possess you.” Dumbledore said in a frail voice. “You ran away before I could help you.”

“You intimidated and scared a child after having ensured they’d grow up in an abusive household.” Snape snapped. “You have no right to be upset.”

Harry nodded despite his tight neck and he wished he could argue against having been called scared. He had been scared of course, but not enough to let it get the better of him. Everyone acted as if fear stopped Harry in his tracks when really, all it did was add one more thing to suffer through.

“Harry, I cannot apologize enough for my actions.” Dumbledore said as his shoulders softened and he began to age before their eyes. “If I had known what it would come to, I would have been more careful.”

“Meaning?” Snape asked with a careful twirl of his wand.

Harry blinked as he realized the stiff feeling was loosening with each twirl. He realized with a sudden horrible feeling that he’d forgotten to keep track of Dumbledore’s wand. Something had kept his eyes firmly on the old wizard’s face despite his fear about what Dumbledore might do if given a chance to act.

“Severus, I must see him.” Dumbledore said, rather than answering. “I can see him on your terms, when he is unable to fight back, or I will send you away and see him all the same.”

Harry flinched as his neck cracked in an uncomfortably painless way from the tension warring across his shoulder blades.

“Have you tried asking for permission?” Snape asked.

Dumbledore folded his hands in front of himself. “Harry, may I perform a highly invasive magical procedure in an attempt to ascertain whether or not you’ve been possessed by Voldemort? I can promise you it will be painless.”

Harry shook his head ‘no’ in a wild movement. He couldn’t imagine a worse sort of experience. What if Dumbledore learned he knew of the prophecy?

“Ah, you see, Severus.” Dumbledore said.

Snape scoffed.

“I will not tolerate any more delays in ensuring Hogwarts’s safety, Severus.” Dumbledore said as his eyes found Snape’s. Whatever had trapped Harry’s attention earlier, broke without his eye contact to maintain it. “Harry, prepare to shrink to the floor in a short moment, I do apologize, but I will be removing anything masking your appearance and that will include the potion Severus has kindly brewed for you.”

Snape’s wand jerked as Harry shouted and reached for his mum’s necklace. His hand froze in its tracks and the floor rushed to meet him as he fell to the floor at a steep incline. Snape’s dark cloak surrounded him and he was caught seconds before slamming into the floor.

Vertigo swung through him as his arms and legs shrank in on themselves in an almost sluggish afterthought.

“Albus!”

Snape shouted as he flicked his wand in a quick arc and shrunk Harry’s uniform to fit him. Harry covered his ears at the sudden noise surrounding him and desperately wished he’d remained fifteen. Fear exploded through him and left his tongue numb and dots glittering in his eyes. Dumbledore’s quick, clinical treatment of him carved a hollow and rotten feeling through his insides.

It was logical for Dumbledore to want to protect Hogwarts, but Harry felt that as a student within it, he should be awarded the same protection.

“Harry, open your eyes wide for me, please. This will be painless, I promise.” Dumbledore said as he stepped closer.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! I’m so sorry it’s late, but I hope you enjoyed it and if you did, please leave a comment below! (That bit about parseltongue has been on my mind since last May. I’m so glad I finally got the chance to share it!)
Chapter 9 by WiCeBa
Harry flinched backwards and tightly scrunched his eyes closed. He crushed his face against Snape’s shoulder and mentally begged Dumbledore to stay away.



“Severus, please try and understand.”



“Explain your theory.” Snape demanded. Harry wished they’d come up with a signal to leave like the last time they’d needed to speak to Dumbledore. He tightened his eyes farther, despite having closed them as much as he could. “Explain what you think and why you believe it to be the case.”



“You, of all people, should know why that is inadvisable.”



“You cannot search a student’s mind without their consent.” Snape said tightly. “You must provide some reasonable explanation for your actions.”



Harry shuddered as an awful, slick feeling crept up his back.



Snape spoke as if he’d already accepted Dumbledore having to search Harry’s mind. Maybe he’d planned this all along? Maybe he was more frightened of Harry’d than he’d thought? Despite the confusing jumble of events, Harry starkly remembered the sickly pallor on Snape’s face when he’d entered his office.



Harry never wanted to see that expression on Snape’s face again.



Maybe this was punishment for Harry’s over complicated problems? Maybe Harry deserved to be frightened after having frightened Snape?



Something told Harry that wasn’t quite right, despite how much he believed otherwise. Aunt Petunia whispered in the back of his mind, reminding him of how his poor behaviour led to repercussions like these.



When he’d given her trouble, she’d thrown it straight back in his face.



Snape hadn’t been close with Harry for long enough to realize how much trouble he often found himself in, especially with regards to Voldemort. Harry never chose to have visions or hear Nagini though. He hadn’t wanted to help revive Voldemort last spring either, but he’d been chosen all the same.



Ribbons slipped across his jaw and over his lips.



If he hadn’t picked a fight with Seamus, he wouldn’t have gone looking for Snape. He should’ve paid more attention during his meeting with Umbridge as well, because if he had, he wouldn’t be suffering through ribbons. If he’d paid better attention, he could’ve escaped. He wouldn’t have needed Snape’s help earlier today and he could’ve handled Seamus on his own.



He wouldn’t be in Dumbledore’s office if he’d just kept his nose down and his mouth shut. He could admit to not having started several of his problems, but he certainly had a hand in what happened.



“Harry?” Snape asked in a soft voice. His footsteps echoed around the room as he moved. “Will you listen to what Dumbledore has to say?”



Harry shook his head ‘no’.



“Please?” Snape asked as he set Harry down, presumably on the chair he’d sat in previously. He gently pried Harry’s fingers from the fabric at his shoulder. “Albus, do you truly believe the Dark Lord would allow anyone to see him like this?” He asked after a moment.



Harry quickly shoved his hands over his eyes in case Dumbledore was closer than expected.



“I am unaware what level of control Tom may possess.”



Someone let out a long breath.



“This is no one’s preferred solution, Harry, but we can hear him out.” Snape said.



“Correction, Severus,” Dumbledore’s cracked and frail voice surrounded Harry. Harry tightened his fists. “I will ensure Tom is not present before we begin any discussion. Likewise, I cannot allow you to potentially implicate yourself by handing you sensitive information.”



“If the Dark Lord is present, then my role as a spy has already come to a close.” Snape reasoned. “If he isn’t, my role has already changed with my priorities.”



Harry tried to contain a shudder at the thought of Dumbledore forcing Snape to leave. He hadn’t considered having to face Dumbledore on his own, not after Snape had promised to always help him. Perhaps this was a punishment for Harry, for having been targeted and constantly coming out worse from those episodes.



“If Tom believes you have information he is unaware of—”



“I have come and gone from several meetings in the last two months. I have yet to be murdered despite the change in my life, which suggests the Dark Lord—”



“It suggests nothing. Tom will wait until you have what he needs.”



Harry couldn’t say how he knew, but was certain Dumbledore was speaking about the prophecy. There was something deeply malicious about hiding something so tied to Harry in plain sight, and only allowing it to exist in the unspoken spaces between words.



“He believes I am loyal.”



“He knows you’ve lied.” Dumbledore said in a damning tone. Fabric fluttered near Harry’s left ear and nearly had him peeking out, but he kept his hands tight around his eyes. “He knows you’ve lied before as well, doesn’t he? When it comes to having his way, there is no one more patient than Tom Riddle.”



Harry realized with a sudden lurch that if he couldn’t see Dumbledore’s face, he couldn’t tell who was speaking. There was no way of guessing if he acted as the kindly man Harry’d known for years, or whomever lived beneath.



“The Dark Lord has made no changes in his behaviour toward me.” Snape hissed. “I am safe in that he believes I am terrified of disobeying him ever again!”



“He isn’t here!” Harry said desperately. “If anyone would know it’d be me!”



Voldemort had never failed to make his presence known through unbelievable pain. Harry struggled to accept his own logic, as the thought of everything happening; his visions, accidental parseltongue and unknown magic, coming solely from himself, left terror clawing up his throat.



He far preferred being terrified to Snape being murdered though.



His mum’s necklace hummed warmly.



“You cast a spell you are unaware of and don’t remember doing so.” Dumbledore said. “I have no doubt you’ve experienced several instances lately, but you are either unaware of the damage that has truly been done, or are intentionally covering it up.”



Sharp red anger lodged deeply into Harry’s thoughts and he nearly spat a foul comment about what damage Dumbledore done, wittingly or otherwise.



“Albus,” Snape started after a deep breath. “You must—”



His voice disappeared with an odd sound as thin, knobby fingers grasped Harry’s upper arm in a careful, but unyielding hold. “Severus, I will explain myself momentarily. Until then, I apologize again.”



Bright light blinded Harry as his hand was pulled free from his left eye. He tried to blink against the sudden onslaught of colour, but found himself frozen in place. He couldn’t guess if Dumbledore’d cast a charm on him, but he knew he couldn’t look away from the frigid, blue eyes drilling into him. It was increasingly difficult to tell who it was watching him as well, as Harry couldn’t spy Dumbledore’s mask anywhere in his face.



A blunt ended spike dove through Harry’s thoughts at a frighteningly fast pace. Harry nearly choked as the last few hours flew past his mind’s eyes in a mad scramble. His conversation with Snape swung in his ears and echoed half dampened tones about legilimency and parseltongue.



He quickly came face to face with himself and watched as he hissed fierce, angry questions at Snape. A horrible feeling sank through him as he realized who he’d truly looked like at the time.



Tom Riddle’s handsome face drifted into existence alongside his own and parroted his gestures in an eerily similar way.



The memory tore out of the way and sank into a flood of colour before bringing up the cacophony of noise he’d heard while cursing Malfoy. Hermione’s sharp rebuttal followed, as did Unbridge’s taffy pink handbag slipping from one hand to the other as she argued with McGonagall.



Despite how he tried, Harry couldn’t picture the snitch, nor an open sky as he attempted to hide from Dumbledore.



He struggled to imagine how he’d get better at Occlumency, but he somehow promised himself to try.



Germany and Ms Eileen’s home flashed across his memories, followed by his time at Privet Drive and Sirius’s terrifying safe house. There seemed to be no stone unturned. He could hardly think of anything but the maddening rate with which Dumbledore tore through his memories.



How many did Dumbledore need before he was satisfied?



Nausea swooped through Harry’s stomach and set an icy chill up his throat. Dumbledore’s magic continued to wriggle as it dug deeper, exploring every hidden space in Harry’s thoughts. He left a deeply carved out feeling in his wake. It was hard to tell what Dumbledore searched for specifically, as there didn’t appear to be any pattern, aside from any and every interaction Harry had.



Harry inhaled with a choke as Dumbledore finally backed away.



He suddenly felt as if he couldn’t give enough attention to any one issue. His head rolled on his shoulders and tilted left and right in a nauseating rush. He didn’t have a terrible headache, but a weighted feeling throbbed through him and held his arms and legs down in an exhausted way. Memories spun in a mad tangle through his head and he couldn’t remember the correct order they’d happened in.



“I was,” Dumbledore began in a pained voice. “I was mistaken, Harry.” He said before dropping a hand onto his desk and leaning heavily over it. His pale face greyed further and almost became sickly. “I was deeply mistaken about Voldemort.”



Harry tried to catch his breath. He didn’t want to be in this room for a second longer and despite the threat of being seen while six, he needed to make an escape.



Dumbledore whispered to himself and his right hand floated near his front, miming aborted ideas in short gestures.



Harry leaned forward as gently as he could and tried to encourage himself to look for Snape.



His eyes ached in an uncomfortable and strange way as he searched the room. He didn’t know if Snape had left him or not, only that he’d stopped talking.



Snape wouldn’t have left him. He wouldn’t have.



Harry didn’t think he would, despite having been the one to bring Harry to Dumbledore, he wouldn’t have left him alone.



Late evening sunlight cast bright spots from the glittery instruments littering the shelves and forced Harry to fight the urge to shut his eyes once more.



“Here, my boy, this will help—”



Harry flinched and shoved outward as Dumbledore neared him again, accidentally knocking whatever he’d been holding to the ground.



He slammed his eyes shut as sharp fear cut though him, though Harry despised it and wished instead for anger. Anger, he could use. Anger was far better than fear and he couldn’t help feeling as if Dumbledore enjoyed his fear. He’d never led Harry to believe that in the past, and even now it was odd to consider, but Harry considered it all the same.



“Please,” Dumbledore said in a soft voice. “Try to understand, Harry.” He heard Dumbledore kneel and collect whatever had fallen. “I couldn’t risk Voldemort freely walking through Hogwarts, you must understand.”



Harry pressed his hands tight to his eyes.



He tried to focus on Dumbledore’s swap in names for Voldemort, rather than the persistent and unsolvable range of problems surging through him. It was a stupid swap, given how both names referred to the same person. He couldn’t decide whether Dumbledore truly believed Voldemort had been present, seeing as he rarely used ‘Tom’ around Harry before, and why he’d just changed after searching Harry.



“Nor could I allow him to possess you, Harry.” Dumbledore continued. “Not when it is within my power to help you.”



“Where’s Snape.” Harry said in a horrible, wobbly voice.



“He’s here,” Dumbledore said with a whisper. “He’s stunned, but otherwise safe.”



Harry leaned back in case Dumbledore was too close and tried to peer around his fingers in order to find Snape. His chest lightened when he finally spotted his cloak, which was a blessedly dark spot from within the burnt golden halo of sunlight. Seeing Snape draped lifelessly over a chair only set Harry’s nerves alight once more. He wondered if he could cast the counterspell to wake him before Dumbledore noticed.



“We need to discuss what’s happened.” Dumbledore said as the sound of something landing on the desk echoed in Harry’s ears. “And you and Severus, as well as what occurred and my actions.”



Harry sniffled and tried to organize his memories, but stopped short after a weak attempt led to a deep seated ache in his skull.



“Voldemort is not possessing you, despite your experiences and behaviour.”



“I told you that.” Harry snapped. “I know when he’s near me, even if he doesn’t have a body.” A discordant memory of Quirrell flickered in his mind and Harry thought of the way his scar burned after Defense lessons in his first year.



“You did.” Dumbledore said in a frail voice.



Harry blinked against his fists before fighting off an angered tremble as he lowered them slowly. His mum’s necklace warmed slowly and he couldn’t tell if it’d been active during Dumbledore’s search or not, as he hadn’t had a good grasp on much of anything at the time.



“You have always been able to sense when he is near, and your logic is sound.” Dumbledore said. “You haven’t been possessed.”



“Is that all then?” Harry asked as he pitched his voice in an insulting tone. “You’re not possessed, Harry, but if I ever think you might be again, I’ll do whatever I like to make sure I’m satisfied. I’ll take every bit of safety and security you have, even your bloody memories!” He finished with a deep breath. He’d begun to scream at some point but couldn’t tell when. “Who bloody well cares about a student’s privacy anyway?! Post it in the Prophet, why don’t you? I bet Skeeter will adore it!”



Dumbledore slowly sank into the chair behind his desk.



Harry inhaled heavily again, despite the faint weakness it brought about in his bones. He didn’t think he’d be able to keep this up, despite how comforted being able to express himself made him feel.



“Well go on then,” Harry said with a sneer. “Let me know your other grand assumptions.”



“You’re angry right now—”



“Well spotted.”



“When you are angry, your similarities with Tom are more prevalent.” Dumbledore said in a carefully calm voice.



“REALLY?!” Harry shouted. “You’re brilliant! I can see why we asked you for help.”



“Harry,” Dumbledore’s eyes flashed reproachfully. “I need you—”



“WHAT A SHOCK!” Harry screamed as he threw his hands in the air. “You need me to do something. Have you ever considered asking? Has it ever crossed your mind to ask how I feel? To ask what I want?”



He was starkly reminded of the conversation he and Sirius, Lupin and Snape had in Sirius’s safehouse. Though the image was fractured in his head, Snape’s voice was clear.



Snape had said Harry struggled to tell what was too much to ask of a person.



“What would you like Harry?” Dumbledore asked.



Harry seethed and he breathed heavily twice more before pointing at Snape. “I want you to wake Snape up and I want to leave with him.”



Dumbledore flicked his wand in a sharp wave and Snape’s eyes fluttered open.



Snape sat up with an almost imperceptible shudder and his dark eyes narrowed as they swept over Harry and Dumbledore with a blank, searching look.



Harry struggled to tell what was on Snape’s mind most days. He doubted today would be any different, though he wondered if he spied a nervous look pinching his eyebrows. He’d slowly learnt a few of Snape’s genuine expressions when they’d lived in Germany and he knew if Snape didn’t want others seeing how he felt, they wouldn’t. The likelihood anyone would ever be able to truly read him was laughably low, but Ms Eileen sometimes spotted some knowing tell that gave him away. Harry wanted to be able to do that as well.



Snape’s lips flattened into a distasteful thin line in a way Harry hadn’t seen since before their relationship changed and he was quickly reminded of how Snape never failed to communicate when he wanted others to see how he felt.



“Severus, I apologize, again.” Dumbledore said. “Voldemort has not possessed Harry, your position remains what you assume it to be.” Snape twitched faintly as Dumbledore leaned forward and pushed a battered looking goblet in his direction. “Harry will likely want something for the effects he experienced, though given my actions, he wouldn’t accept something from me. My actions, while necessary, were neither pleasant nor condoned. I apologize for how you’ve suffered, Harry.” He added with a remorseful look at Harry.



Snape’s eyes flashed over the goblet and Dumbledore’s face before he turned to look at Harry.



Whatever flat interest had been lingering within them darkened.



Harry tried to contain a shudder, but it broke over him regardless of his attempt. He didn’t know if Snape was disappointed in Harry, frightened of him, or angry with him.



“I will ask that the two of you listen, please. You may leave momentarily, and I won’t stop you. I understand your disapproval of my actions, but you cannot have expected for me to sit idly by if Voldemort had possession of Harry. The threat was too great to leave unchecked.” Dumbledore’s face aged as he spoke. “I can only speak to the connection between Voldemort and Harry, as that is the only theory I have some measure of definite proof of.”



“The connection?” Snape asked in a cautious voice.



Dumbledore’s head tilted to the right. “There is a difference between your dreams, Harry, and when you inhabit Voldemort’s characteristics. One is intentional and the other, not.”



“Which is intentional?” Snape asked as he leant forward slowly and snatched the goblet from the desk before sniffing the potion inside carefully.



Harry dreaded the thought of swallowing anything given to him by Dumbledore. Likewise, he dreaded the thought of Voldemort sending him anything in his dreams. He couldn’t seem to avoid any invasion on his person, mentally or physically.



“The dreams.” Dumbledore said. “Voldemort is intentionally casting them. Occlumency is assisting in dampening their effects, though it isn’t a foolproof method and you aren’t a master in the art, Harry.” He added before looking toward Snape again. “It was wise to begin teaching that subject, though against Voldemort, there is no sure answer toward its success.”



“And the other?” Snape asked.



Dumbledore was silent for a long moment before his eyes slowly slid toward Harry’s scar and he distractedly remarked, “Magic leaves traces.”



The room darkened as the sun slipped further beneath the horizon. A faint light touched along the back of Dumbledore as it cast a long shadow over Harry, making Harry curious if Dumbledore’d intentionally chosen to seat himself in such an imposing way. He wondered distractedly why he’d never thought of this office having been arranged that way before, as it felt like an obvious sort of decision.



Snape stood with a sharp move and dropped the goblet on the table.



“You are determined to keep silent?” He asked as he turned his back on Harry and neared Dumbledore’s desk. “Are you unaware of what is happening or are you intentionally misleading us?”



Dumbledore’s eyes sharpened as they flickered away from Harry’s scar. “Neither, Severus.” He said. “Rest assured, I shall inform you.”



Snape spun sharply on his heel and Harry caught sight of a bitter twist on his lips before he held his hand out to Harry. An uncomfortable niggling feeling wormed through the caverns Dumbledore’s search left behind and he worried about what vulnerability he’d show Dumbledore by holding Snape’s hand.



Snape’s hand faltered for less than a second as it hung in the air before Harry realized that he may need assurance as much as Harry did. He tried to rationalize how Snape felt, as he didn’t know what Dumbledore had done, only that he’d woken up after the fact.



He quickly reached out and grabbed hold before being helped from the chair and over to the fireplace. He almost wished Snape had offered to carry him, as every inch of him ached.



“Severus,” Dumbledore called out as they stepped into the fireplace. “I won’t stop Harry from staying in Germany, however, I request the opportunity to protect your mother’s house further, in the event it may need it.”



Harry’s heart dropped into his stomach.



“Write to her and ask for permission.” Snape hissed. He threw a handful of floo powder down and shouted the address for his chambers.



They spun in a mad twirl and were spat out onto the dirty mat. Harry avoided tumbling over solely due to Snape’s careful grip on him, making him wish again he’d just been carried. He silently cursed whoever invented the awful means of travel and hoped they’d died poor. He knew it wasn’t whoever invented floo travel’s fault for Harry’s sorry condition, but he felt better wishing they’re success failed.



“Harry,” Snape started as he led him toward the tufted couch and pulled down his mum’s knit cover. He gently threw it over Harry before kneeling down in front of him. “How do you feel?” He asked.



Harry shivered against the rush of anger blistering through him. He couldn’t pin his anger on any one sorry victim, as it was whoever invented floo travel’s fault for his head spinning and the nausea building through him. It was Dumbledore’s fault for the largest aches in Harry’s head, though it was becoming increasingly difficult to tell if it was pain he felt in the deep wells he’d left behind, or discomfort, and frankly, Harry was struggling to care about the difference. A half remembered thought drifted to the forefront of his mind and echoed in his ears, reminding him that Snape had been the one to bring him to Dumbledore in the first place. He’d wanted answers the same as Harry, only they apparently had differing assumptions of how helpful Dumbledore could be.



It could all be Harry’s fault as well. He’d been the one to worry Snape.



“If you feel up to explaining, please try to.” Snape’s voice cracked in a way Harry hadn’t heard since he’d screamed at him in Spinner’s End ages ago.



Harry breathed heavily against the throbbing lump crawling up his throat. An overwhelming sense of misery overtook his anger in quick stride.



“I don’t want to talk with Dumbledore again, ever. He just—” Harry’s voice tilted upwards and he felt tears burn in his already sore eyes. “I don’t like him and I don’t think he cares about me, so why should I listen to what he says when he does things like that?”



Snape held himself with an almost awkward stillness and looked carefully on as Harry spoke. The quiet, dark room was worlds away from Dumbledore’s office, but it didn’t make him feel any better.



He slipped his hands toward the pendant on his mum’s necklace and wished it’d take him to Germany. A sob tore from his throat when he realized Dumbledore now knew where Harry’d stayed over the summer.



“And now he knows.” He whinged. “He knows now.”



Snape nodded.



“It was just-it was awful.” Harry said with a shudder. “I’m not going to him again.” He sniffled wetly. “I’ll floo anywhere else! Why did you make me go?”



“I believed he’d be able to help—”



“But you knew what he was like over the summer!” Harry shouted against his aching head. “You knew how he treated me before! Why did you think he’d help!?” He asked. “He just-he takes everything! Why can’t I have just one thing!? Why can’t I have one safe spot where he won’t touch!” His throat tightened around another sob.



Snape twitched and he looked as if he wanted to reach out, but he remained still instead. Harry almost wished he would move, as he wasn’t sure if he wanted to hit him for encouraging him to visit Dumbledore or ask for a hug in the face of every impossible problem rushing through Harry.



A nasty thought hissed in the back of his mind and pushed him to find a cupboard instead. One he could lock from the inside in order to keep them all out. He could crawl into the farthest corner and curl up until either Voldemort or Dumbledore won the war. He wouldn’t deal with anyone else attempting to kill him, or tear through his mind, or report on how he was completely cracked and needed to be institutionalized. He’d wait, just as he’d done when he’d been actually six.



He only cried harder at that thought.



“I don’t want my cupboard.” He whinged aloud. “But I don’t wanna be out here either.”



Snape flinched and his hands clenched before he cautiously reached out. He stopped a hair’s width from Harry, allowing him to be the one to decide whether or not to come closer, but Harry wasn’t sure of what he wanted.



He curled his arms around his front as Snape’s frightened face flashed behind his eyes.



“I don’t want you to be scared of me either.” Harry said. “I don’t want to scare people. I don’t want you or Dumbledore to think I’m—”



“You are not the Dark Lord.” Snape said in a soft but firm voice. “You pale in comparison, despite how you may appear in certain circumstances. I am not afraid of you, Harry. I am worried for you.”



His hands lowered to rest on his lap, though Harry noticed he kept them facing upwards, as if he was waiting until Harry was ready.



“I thought you wanted him to do it,” Harry said as he rubbed at his damp face, though it didn’t help as more tears slipped down his cheeks and ruined his effort. “You made it sound inevitable.”



Snape shook his head ‘no’ and his eyebrows pinched with a pained look. “There are many methods to discover whether or not someone is possessed. You experienced one of the most thorough methods, but it is highly invasive, and not what I had in mind when I recommended we see Dumbledore. Had I known, I’d have spoken with him in advance and chosen something less brutal.”



He stood slowly and stepped over to the medicine cabinet. The sounds of several glass and pewter jars rattled as Snape summoned a small red bottle from within.



“This will help tremendously, though it tastes foul.” He said as he knelt before Harry once more.



Harry hiccoughed and reached a nervous hand out.



He thought suddenly of the way Aunt Petunia had dangled cough medicine before him once. She’d wanted to host a luncheon with one of her clubs and given Harry a list of tasks to ensure the sitting room and hor d'oeuvres were perfect. Harry’d come down with a cold though, and instead of polishing already polished silver or dusting a clean room, he’d begged her to let him stay in his cupboard.



She’d let him stay there as well, in a surprising turn. For some mad reason, he’d thought she’d started caring for him, if just a little, and he’d eagerly hoped for the tea she used to brew for Dudley when he’d been ill, but he knew enough to keep his expectations low.



He’d known better than to ask for anything so nice as tea, but he’d never forget how she’d withheld cough medicine.



‘You can take this and clean, or recuperate.’



The glass bottle brushed over Harry’s palm and he blinked at the cool feeling.



“Only a sip,” Snape said. “More won’t hurt, but you may feel a bit woozy later on this evening.”



Harry nodded and pulled the stopper. He half expected for Snape to snatch it away, but he received an encouraging nod instead. He swallowed back a small sip and handed it back quickly as his nerves hummed over his skin.



The tunnels Dumbledore’d carved began to close up as his memories ordered themselves into something more identifiable. The odd soreness eased as well, for which Harry was grateful, though he now realized how emotionally hurt he felt.



He hiccoughed again at the extent Dumbledore had searched his thoughts.



“He’s going to make me go back to Privet Drive.” Harry said thickly. “He’s going to talk to Ms Eileen and convince her to never let me back.”



Snape’s hands came out again and this time, Harry stepped closer. He wasn’t sure he was quite prepared for a lot of attention at the moment, as his skin still crawled with the echoes of Dumbledore’s magic, but he wanted to be close to Snape, if just to feel a fair bit safer. Snape seemed to understand that as well, as he was painfully gentle.



“Would you like to visit Grimmauld Place for a little while?” Snape asked as one of his long fingers swept away several tears from Harry’s cheeks. “We’d need to be back before curfew, but there's quite a bit of time yet.”



Harry blinked blurrily as he considered what Sirius and Lupin might think of his sudden appearance, but couldn’t deny the way his heart leapt at the thought of leaving Hogwarts, Dumbledore and Umbridge aside. He’d have liked to change before he saw them, as he felt too much like one of Dudley’s commemorative stuffed bears, but he doubted he’d have the chance.



“Dumbledore will be aware you're no longer in the school, but given his abuse of school rules, I believe he can tolerate our own disregard for what is considered appropriate.”



Harry sniffled and debated the idea again.



He felt overwrought and betrayed. He’d frightened Snape and Dumbledore, which, while he didn’t much care if Dumbledore was frightened, he did care if he, himself was frightening. There was only so much a person could handle in a day and Harry was very nearly at his limit.



There was also the issue with Malfoy and what sort of punishment Harry’d incur. He didn’t fancy being punished for retaliating to bullying. Sirius would probably have loads of insights to offer him about any of these issues. He’d likely be helpful with Harry’s ribbon problem and Umbridge as well, though he faintly remembered how he and Hermione had agreed to ask Sirius rather than Snape.



He nodded slowly and rubbed at his face once more.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! I truly hope you enjoyed it and if you did, please leave a comment below! d84;
I'm in a constant state of panic with Dumbledore chapters, he's endlessly complex and I want to do a good job with him. I just really don't want him to feel like a one note sort of character, despite having an opposite agenda to Harry and Snape. Either way, I really hope you guys enjoyed!
Chapter 10 by WiCeBa
“How are we going to get there?” Harry asked. He didn’t fancy apparating, though he knew well enough they couldn’t apparate from within the castle, as Hermione’s chiding voice reminded him.



He tossed a brief, cautious look around the room. An uncomfortable worry itched in his skin and pushed at him to hide from the wide open space. He inched farther beneath Snape’s long, dark cloak and wondered if it was normal to feel so comforted by a piece of fabric. It was true that Snape’s cloak felt almost cupboard like, but there was something far safer about it.



It made his thoughts spin a little less violently, and his fears a bit quieter.



Snape didn’t seem inclined to move very much with Harry as close as he was. Every few moments, one of his long fingers helped to brush away tears, and Harry found he didn’t mind the small touch.



It was a struggle to pin down what exactly bothered him, given how his thoughts and feelings still felt a bit off. Snape’s potion sorted his memories into something resembling order, but his thoughts about himself and his own life seemed to dance just out of reach.



He couldn’t seem to grasp anything important at the moment, but maybe that’d been Dumbledore’s intention?



If Harry was frightened and confused, he was unable to focus his anger.



“We can floo to Spinner’s End from my fireplace and from there, we can apparate.” Snape’s voice rumbled around Harry. “That isn’t the case with every professor’s fireplace, however, I needed a convenient exit, given my employment with the Dark Lord.



Harry nodded and his too small fingers clenched around the neck of the potion bottle Snape had given him. He idly thought again of what would happen with Malfoy, but he wasn’t bothered enough to give it much consideration.



“Do you think I have time to change?” He asked after a moment.



He wasn’t sure if he meant his clothes or age, but he hoped for both. He knew Sirius wouldn’t mind seeing his school uniform, but he doubted he’d be as uncaring about Harry’s age.



“Clothes?” Snape asked.



“Age.” Harry hiccoughed bitterly.



“You do have time.” Snape said in a careful tone.



Harry blinked through several angry tears as he looked up at Snape.



“I am nervous to give you the antidote,” Snape said after he helped to sweep them from Harry’s cheek. “Not because I believe it won’t help, but because it will change the duration you’re fifteen for.”



Somewhere in Harry’s mind, that logic made sense.



“I don’t want to be six, though.” He sniffled in frustration. “I don’t want Sirius to see me at six either.”



A small crease pinched at Snape’s eyebrows and his hands twitched in his lap.



“Please?” Harry asked around his tight throat. He had a feeling he’d be more reasonable if he was his correct age, especially given how difficult it was to pick through the waves of confusion and misery surrounding him. His antidote was easy enough to take in two days anyway, and he could just hide in a toilet or broom cupboard and swallow the correct dose.



It was essentially the same thing he’d been doing, only he’d slipped away in the early morning before anyone awoke.



Snape’s hair slipped forward and covered his face for a long moment.



Harry shuddered inwardly as he struggled to keep his mouth shut. He half felt Snape should offer to give it to him, solely for being partly responsible in Harry’s circumstances. A needy feeling pushed at him to beg until he received what he wanted, but Aunt Petunia’s voice quickly drowned it out. It was Harry’s own fault for his circumstances, given that he’d been the one to burst into Snape’s office and speak parseltongue. If he hadn’t done that, he wouldn't be six.



He tried to choke back the lump creeping up his throat. He knew it made more sense for him to remain six until the morning, despite how he felt.



Snape’s lips tightened before he climbed slowly to his feet and tugged at his cloak until it fell safely around the two of them.



Harry slipped closer still.



One of Snape’s hands appeared in an open offer to carry him, but he didn’t think he could handle being out from under Snape’s cloak at the moment, despite the uncomfortable similarity it held to his cupboard. Harry took hold of Snape’s trouser leg instead.



Snape seemed to understand as he slowly made his way back toward the medicine cabinet, though this time with Harry in tow. “I might give you a false detention Sunday, or a note, to give you a wider window of opportunity to take the antidote again.” He said as he plucked the correct phial from the collection. “I would rather you feel comfortable now though, given what you’ve gone through.” A gentle hand carded through Harry’s fringe and he took back the small red bottle and traded it for the antidote. “You can take the time to relax, or practice Occluding.”



Harry nodded. “Thank you.” He said thickly.



He blinked at the small phial from his hiding place. He was reminded in an odd, fuzzy way of the first time Snape had hugged him without Harry having silently asked. He hadn’t fully understood why any adult would’ve helped him without his having asked, and even now, he struggled to understand why he’d been given what he wanted.



“You’re welcome to stay in my chambers tonight, if you’d prefer.” Snape said after a long moment. “Though I don’t want you to feel as if you have to, which is why I offered to bring you to your godfather. I would rather you feel safe. If you do choose to visit your godfather and take that,” He pointed toward Harry’s antidote. “I believe it would be wiser to do so from within your godfather’s house.”



Harry rubbed at his eyes and was glad to find that he’d stopped crying.



“I want to go,” He started with another sniffle. “I don’t know if the castle feels the safest right now.”



“Where feels the safest?” Snape asked.



Harry shook his head ‘no’ and stared pointedly at his trainers. Germany felt the safest. His eyes burned once more when he remembered Dumbledore knew of Ms Eileen’s house, though he squeezed them shut and willed himself to quit crying. He hadn’t ever felt the need to hide like this when he’d stayed in Germany, nor even before then, despite the terror he’d felt at times.



He felt safest around Snape, even if he was angry about Snape’s involvement in his current age. Despite having the potion in his hand, he couldn’t bring himself to take it, not while he knew Snape preferred for him to remain six.



Snape leant over and tucked Ms Eileen’s knit throw a little tighter around Harry’s shoulders.



He didn’t seem inclined to push for an answer, but Harry wasn’t interested in making him wait.



“Maybe just somewhere without Dumbledore.” He said with a whisper. “What if Spinner’s End is being watched though?” He asked as the dreadful thought swung into the forefront of his mind. “How can we apparate? What if we’re seen? I don’t have my invisibility cloak and I can’t go get it now!”



Snape brushed a finger down his nose.



“That’s why I recommend taking the antidote in your godfather’s house. You’re easier to hide at this size than you are at fifteen.”



Harry swallowed thickly.



“It’s also the safest and most direct route.” Snape added in a soft voice. “It’s unlikely that my house is being watched at the moment, as it’s a known fact that I am at Hogwarts. Likewise, as far as anyone is aware, you are no longer six.”



“Oh.” Harry said as he twisted the phial in his fingers.



He tried to pull himself together, but he belatedly realized that he’d need to leave Snape’s cloak if they were going to floo to Spinner’s End. He wasn’t sure he fancied seeing Snape’s house as a six year old again, especially given how he’d last left it.



“How are we going to get back here?” He asked. A piece of him couldn’t decide if he was delaying the inevitable intentionally, or not.



“We can floo from Grimmauld Place. We just can’t floo into it.” Snape answered. “Additionally, I have no doubt that if you tell your godfather you don’t want Dumbledore allowed entry, Dumbledore will not enter.”



Harry nodded and shivered as he pushed himself to leave his comfortable hiding space. His mum’s necklace warmed comfortingly, and Harry was more than glad for it.



Snape slipped smoothly to his knees as Harry stepped out.



“He’s the secret keeper though, isn’t he?” Harry asked as the wide sitting room surrounded him. He twisted and looked up at Snape as a nervous tremble rattled through him at just how open it was. He ought to have given it a bit more thought before he’d left Snape’s cloak, but he didn’t think he could crawl back beneath it now.



Snape spun his wand in a short movement and Harry felt a cleaning charm whisper over his face.



His hand appeared again seconds later in an open offer and this time Harry took it. He found himself held carefully against Snape’s chest and shortly after, the sound of a wand waved through the air and warmed his school jumper.



“Yes, he is the secret keeper.” Snape said as Harry dropped his head onto his shoulder. “Awareness of a location doesn’t always grant others the right to enter those areas though, does it?”



“He treated Aunt Petunia’s house as if he could come and go from it.” Harry mumbled.



He knew, somewhere in the back of his mind that being upset on Aunt Petunia’s behalf was a waste of energy, but he felt upset all the same. It hadn’t helped Harry when Dumbledore abused her sense of decorum, seeing as Harry was the one to endure her displeasure in the aftermath.



“Tuney is a separate case,” Snape said as he slowly made his way toward the fireplace. “I won’t speak on Dumbledore’s current behaviour, but in his own way, I believe he felt your needs came above Tuney’s.”



Harry gave an angered huff. “He was wrong.”



“You and I know full well that no one’s needs outweigh Tuney’s.” Snape nodded. “But Dumbledore is unaware of how it feels to be the less powerful party for any sort of duration.” He added as he curled a large hand carefully around Harry’s back. “He hasn’t experienced a fear for himself from those around him, and doesn’t understand those who do. As far as he understands, family loves one another,” Snape said. He stopped before the dusty fireplace and pulled Harry a bit more securely to him. “At least according to him.”



Harry shook his head ‘no’. He couldn’t believe Dumbledore had never experienced real fear from his family. Everyone felt fear. Everyone was on the losing side at some point in their life.



Ron feared Fred and George when they’d transfigured his bear into a spider. Harry was fairly positive Hermione would have a similar memory as well, though as she’d had no siblings, it’d have likely come from her parents. Even Dudley feared Harry every once in a while.



Everyone must’ve feared their family in one way or another.



“How’s that possible?” Harry asked.



“Long term fear, Harry.” Snape said. Harry caught the slight lilt his voice took on when he taught in class. “He is aware of minor infractions, but fails to grasp how loved ones can care for one another and yet, harm them in turn.”



Harry scoffed.



“He would be distraught to learn of the irony in that sentence.” Snape said. “Are you prepared to visit your godfather?”



“I think so.” Harry nodded as inhaled deeply.



He was positive he didn’t want to remain in the castle anymore, not while Dumbledore was able to find him at any moment.



“Do you want me to hold the antidote for you while we travel?” Snape asked.



Harry blinked at the small phial in his hand and nodded at Snape before passing it over. He wondered idly why Snape had even given it to him in the first place, but put it down to his wanting Harry to feel in charge of something, given the last hour.



Snape snatched a handful of floo powder and stepped into the dusty fireplace. He shouted out ‘Spinner’s End’ in a clear voice and the two of them swung through space before being spat out on the small welcome mat in Snape’s cellar.



Harry shuddered as he thought again of the last time he’d been in the house. He couldn’t quite keep himself from nervously searching for Avery.



He wasn’t sure if Avery was dead or not, now that he thought of it. He only remembered the damp park and the gruesome way Padfoot’s snout had glittered bloodily beneath the moonlight. After he’d landed in Germany, he’d put the terrifying experience out of his mind and moved onto bigger problems.



“Is Avery alive?” Harry’s small voice cracked and echoed through the dark potions lab. He quickly spotted the foggy, glass windows and he tried to spy if any evening sunlight managed to peek through, but instead found that night had fallen sometime after their conversation with Dumbledore.



Snape stepped quickly up the stairs and into the crooked hallway. They passed the cramped sitting room Harry’d slept in during his first night here and made for the long entryway.



“Yes.” Snape said as he tossed Ms Eileen’s knit throw over Harry’s head and helped to bundle him a bit tighter into the fabric. “He’s in Azkaban through Mad-Eye Moody’s doing.”



Harry regretted asking.



“Lie still for a moment please.” Snape added with a whisper before holding a finger to his lips and signaling to be quiet. He flicked his wand in a move too sharp to follow before what felt like an egg cracked over Harry’s head in a disorienting feeling.



Harry caught sight of an odd camouflage effect covering him and nearly asked what had happened, but kept silent after remembering he wasn’t supposed to talk.



Snape seemed to decide it was safe to leave the house then.



Rain dampened his knit hood and he almost forgot he was meant to stay still as the urge to look around washed over him. He wanted to see if the neighbourhood surrounding Spinner’s End had stayed the same as the eerie house. It didn’t seem as if things changed the way they did at Privet Drive, but that may only be because Harry knew where to look. The flowerbeds all turned with the seasons, as had fresh coats of paint on fences and mail boxes.



He couldn’t remember having seen a fence at Spinner’s End, now that he thought of it.



Snape’s hand tightened around Harry in a subtle forewarning for apparition and Harry was glad for it. He sucked in a quick breath and felt as if he was shoved through a tube seconds later.



A resounding crack echoed around them and Harry’s hood was soaked as heavy rain poured down onto them. The sound of a heavy door sliding opened rang in his ears before his hood was quickly pulled free and a drying charm swept over him.



The entryway looked a fair bit more grubby than the last time Harry’d been in it and he half wondered if that was due to Mrs Weasley spending less time in the house. He wasn’t sure if that was the case though, as he hadn’t known if she’d returned to The Burrow after the school term began.



A faint pop rang through the dusty hallway as Snape dried himself off as well.



“Master Severus,” Kreacher croaked as he gave a low bow. “Kreacher will prepare a cup of tea. Nasty weather to be travelling in.”



“No, thank you.” Snape said.



Harry shook his head as his hair sprung wild over his head.



Kreacher blinked at Harry and his sharp eyes narrowed. “Master Severus brought Master’s godson again.”



“I did.” Snape said in a careful tone. “Is Black currently in the house?”



Kreacher nodded and croaked, “Yes.” His eyes flickered down the hallway to his left and his knobby fingers knotted into the damp and ragged tea towel he wore. “Master Severus shouldn’t be bothering, bad blood.”



Harry blinked at Kreacher and tried to remember if he’d ever had formally met him before. He remembered Ron describing him once, but aside from catching a glimpse or two when they’d visited Grimmauld Place over the summer, Harry hadn’t actually introduced himself.



It felt a bit belated to do so now, but he hoped it’d make Kreacher less displeased with him.



“Erm,” Harry started awkwardly. “Pleased to meet you, Kreacher, I don’t think we ever formally met.”



Kreacher’s thin upper lip curled unpleasantly.



“I’m Harry,” He added and wondered if he should climb down to shake Kreacher’s hand. Snape hadn’t made any movement though, so he stayed near his chest.



He tossed a nervous look at Snape, and worried after realizing he hadn’t taken his eyes from Kreacher.



“Kreacher makes it’s acquaintance.” Kreacher finally rasped after a long, uncomfortable moment. It didn’t look as if Harry’s introduction helped at all, given how suspiciously Kreacher now regarded him. Harry wasn’t sure what might help though, what with how drastically different Winky and Dobby’s opinions on house elf etiquette had been.



“Inform Black of our arrival, Kreacher.” Snape said before stepping past Kreacher and moving further into the house. “Lupin as well. If Lupin is out, request him and stall Black until Lupin gets in.”



Kreacher snapped his fingers and disappeared with a quiet pop.



“I thought you said we were visiting Sirius.” Harry said as Snape lowered him to the ground. “I don’t mind Lupin, but if you’re here, why can’t we see Sirius?” He asked as Snape pulled the antidote from his pocket and passed it over.



“Because your godfather typically needs more than one other adult to keep him sane.” Snape murmured.



Eager footsteps pounded down a staircase, forcing Harry to quickly swallow the antidote. The thought of Sirius spotting him at six nearly had him choking around it.



He somehow doubted Kreacher attempted to stall Sirius at all and wondered if he didn’t like Snape as much as Ron had previously believed.



Snape flicked his wand and altered Harry’s uniform as he grew to his correct height.



“Harry!?” Sirius’s panicked form swung around the corner and collided with Snape seconds after Harry’d returned to his normal height. “Bloody—”



Harry jerked and moved to step in between them before a fight could break out, but his worry turned out to be unnecessary, as the two separated with a frustrated sound.



Sirius looked angry enough to start something, and that was often the only catalyst they needed when he and Snape were in the same room together, but he inhaled deeply instead and turned toward Harry.



“Kreacher said you were six again.” He said as his hands floated nervously near Harry, before stalling with an odd jerk. “He said you’d turned up like a drowned cat and were dripping all over his entryway.”



Snape sniffed and pinched the bridge of his nose. “Is Lupin in the house?”



“He’s in the library, but that doesn’t explain why you’re here—”



Snape rolled his eyes and muttered something beneath his breath about Kreacher. He motioned for Harry to follow him and pushed past Sirius.



“Perhaps these conversations will be more productive in the kitchen?”



“What conversations?” Sirius asked as he trailed after the two of them. “Last I heard Harry was tucked safe and sound. You can’t turn up, unannounced on my doorstep and assume I’ll be anything less than worried, Snape.”



The entryway fed into a thin shabby hallway. Harry gladly noted how it felt a fair bit less oppressive when he was a proper size. The high ceilings loomed overhead and seemed likely to collapse in on themselves when Harry’d been small.



“Harry?” Sirius slipped between him and Snape and his grey eyes narrowed on Harry’s. “Nothing dreadful’s happened, has it?” He asked with a whisper.



Harry blinked at Sirius and leant sideways as he looked past him to where Snape had disappeared into the kitchen. He idly noted how he came up to Sirius’s chest now and wondered if Sirius felt it was odd for Harry to be so tall, given how short he’d been recently.



Perhaps though, Harry only thought that way because he was the one changing sizes.



He reached out and something in his chest loosened as Sirius eagerly hugged him. Sirius couldn’t have known about the day he’d had, but if he did, Harry felt he’d have come to Hogwarts and retrieved Harry himself. Harry almost wished Sirius already knew of his confusing episode with Voldemort. He wanted to know if Sirius would react the same way as Snape had.



He doubted he’d have let Dumbledore search his mind as Snape had, but then, it was likely very frightening to watch Harry behave like Voldemort. Maybe he would’ve asked Dumbledore for help as well?



“Erm.” He stammered after Sirius let him go.



He wasn’t sure laying everything out on Sirius at once would be the best idea, but he knew he couldn’t keep it from him for much longer. They were already in his house, if Harry’d wanted to keep things a secret, he shouldn’t have agreed to visit.



“We don’t really know all of what’s happened, actually. Dumbledore thought I was possessed, but then, I wasn’t. And Snape didn’t really know what to do, so,” Harry said before anger began to cloud his thoughts. “And Umbridge too. There’s this—” He paused and phantom ribbons slipped over lips in a silk-like glide as he thought of whatever Umbridge had poisoned him with. He pointed toward them, despite knowing no one else had ever been able to see them. He wondered suddenly if anyone else could feel them.



A fierce stubbornness overtook his thoughts as Hermione’s earlier guess rang in his ears. She thought Umbridge was waiting for him to beg her to cure him.



He felt Sirius would approve of testing the limits on how visible Harry’s ribbon problem was. A piece of Harry worried his emotions were too chaotic to trust at the moment, but he ignored it.



“Actually, don’t think I’m mental, but, can I borrow your hand?” Harry asked.



Sirius’s eyes darkened and a look of deep concern washed over his face, but he held his hand up to Harry.



“Voldemort’s bac—” Harry said forcefully before ribbons rushed across his jaw and burned atop his lips. Harry brought Sirius’s hand toward them as quickly as he could, despite Sirius looking more panicked by the second. The reality that Sirius likely couldn’t feel them set in, and Harry tried to force himself to accept what he’d need to say in order to make them stop. The burning built painfully before he finally sucked in a gasp, and allowed the ribbons to careen into his mouth.



“Anapneo!” Sirius shouted with a swish of his wand.



Harry wondered idly why Hermione hadn’t thought to use that spell when they’d been discussing ways to alleviate his symptoms, but he quickly discovered why.



The ribbons flew farther down his throat for one heart pounding moment before resurging to block his airway. Harry’s knees buckled against the exhaustion weakening him, but someone caught him before he hit the floor.



“Black!” Snape’s voice surrounded them as white spots began to dot Harry’s vision. The hallway flickered before him as the ribbons let up for a brief second, letting him gasp for air. Once more, Harry found he knew what to say in order to make them stop, though the phrase altered itself to suit Harry’s previous statement.



“Who hexed him!?” Sirius shouted.



“I must-n’t tell lies!” Harry choked despite the fierce bitterness he felt at speaking. “I shouldn’t have spoken out, I-I just haven’t found my feet.”



The ribbons retreated with a slow slippery caress and Harry breathed freely once more. He tried to contain the humiliation curling through him for having messed with Umbridge’s potion, but shuddered despite himself.



He looked up and found it was Sirius who’d caught him, as his hands were tight around Harry’s upper arms and he didn’t seem inclined to let him go.



A sickly pallor washed across Snape’s face as he pushed past Sirius to help Harry up.



Harry wasn’t sure he wanted to be helped up. He desperately wanted to hide again.



The hallway felt too open and Snape’s cloak was no longer an option.



He’d rather die than find a cupboard while Sirius was present though. Sirius had never seen him run for a cupboard and if Harry had his way, he never would.



Sirius slowly managed to pry his fingers from Harry’s arms once his knees were a bit more stable. He wanted to fall against the wall and not move again for a while, but stubbornness kept him standing.



“Who hexed Harry?” Sirius asked quietly as he looked toward Snape.



Harry flinched backwards as Lupin appeared before him. “I’m not positive I’d call that a hex.” He said before leaning back as quickly as he’d come. He gave Harry a careful look, but didn’t raise his wand near him. Harry spied it making a slow circle near his thigh instead and was reminded unpleasantly of Dumbledore’s discreet spell work from earlier. “We’ve been a bit in the dark it’d seem.”



Sirius’s hands fluttered near Harry once more, though they dropped back to his sides seconds later. “Cuppa tea.” He said in a weak voice. Harry couldn’t tell if he was speaking to himself or not. “Let’s get a cuppa tea.” He said again as he turned slowly and stumbled into the kitchen. “Cuppa tea.”



Lupin eyed Harry and gestured for him to follow after. His wand continued to spin, though he neglected to say why. Harry couldn’t tell if it was intentional spell casting or just habit either.



“We’re right behind you Harry.” Lupin added when Harry failed to move.



Harry wished he’d just kept his mouth shut rather than having dumped everything on Sirius. He wished he hadn’t decided to visit and he wished he’d asked to go to Germany instead.



He wished Dumbledore hadn’t found out about Germany.



Lupin gave his arm a gentle squeeze and nudged him toward Snape before stepping around the two of them and heading into the kitchen. Harry wasn’t sure if he’d guessed Harry’d needed a moment to calm down, or if he’d grown sick of waiting for him to leave.



He’d thought being fifteen would chase away the confusion and misery left by Dumbledore, but he’d been sorely mistaken. He rubbed at his face and tried to push off the dread weighing down on his shoulders.



“I don’t know why I did that.” He mumbled into his hands.



“Testing the limits of problems like the one you’re experiencing isn’t unusual.” Snape said softly.



Harry blinked through his fingers and caught sight of the deep purple rings beneath Snape’s eyes and how truly exhausted he looked. Some colour had returned to his cheeks, though he didn’t look well at all.



Why hadn’t he just stayed in the Common Room with Ron and Hermione?



“I wish I hadn’t. I’m sick of worrying about them.” A ribbon slipped past his lips. “I’m sick of her winning.” He said as he scratched at his eyes.



“She won’t win in the end.” Snape said. “Several of your blood samples will be ready soon, and we will have a bit more information after that.”



“If it’s a potion.” Harry moaned. He almost asked what they’d do if it wasn’t, but he couldn’t bear putting more stress on Snape. He looked as if he was as desperate for a reprieve as Harry was.



“You won’t remain this way indefinitely.” Snape said as he gently tugged Harry’s hands from his face. “Dolores Umbridge is a Ministry official. She is skilled in bureaucracy, that’s distinctly separate from magic. She succeeded in getting a hold of you, which is a mark toward her skill in bureaucracy, but she is unaware her actions left traces and that means she is unaware of the multitude of ways we can go about removing it.”



Harry blinked at stains littering Snape’s long fingers.



“We now have a previous defense professor and an ex Auror present.” Snape said as he pointed toward the doorway. “Both of whom, despite my consistent disbelief, give pause to certain Death Eaters.”



He knew how skilled both Lupin and Sirius were, but Harry still wished he hadn’t unleashed the full extent of his problems all at once.



He should have just kept his mouth shut and written Sirius like Hermione wanted him to.



“Harry?” Sirius appeared at the doorway. “Are you alright, prongslet?”



Harry inhaled slowly and nodded.



They made their way into the kitchen and Harry spotted Mrs Weasley’s faded red kettle steaming on the hob. Harry wondered if Mrs Weasley did spend more time at Grimmauld Place than The Burrow. He couldn’t guess why else she’d have left the kettle.



Lupin handed a mug to Harry and tried to push Sirius into a chair, but Sirius couldn’t seem to sit still. The panicked look that’d pinched his face had faded and a darker one overtook it once more.



“I think I’d like to circle back to the hex.” Sirius said. “Given how bloody awful that is to watch.”



“I’m still unsure I’d call it a hex.” Lupin said. He dropped his hands into the pockets of his cardigan. Harry wondered idly where his wand was. “It reminds me of a gagging curse.”



“It’s hard to hit someone with something like that though,” Sirius’s eyes flickered to Lupin. “It takes over a minute to cast and it’s nearly impossible to do subtly. In fact I’d say it is impossible to do subtly.”



“That doesn’t rule it out.” Lupin said.



“Can you explain what happens when it’s triggered?” Sirius asked.



Harry shook his head ‘no’.



“Thought not.” Sirius sniffed before spinning on his heel to look at Snape. “What have you found, then?”



Harry blinked between the two of them and wondered if they’d had a conversation without Harry at some point recently. Neither looked pleased to be in the other’s company, but they also didn’t look ready to kill.



“She used tea, either as a means for gagging or a method for keeping Harry still while she cast.” Snape said. “Blood results need a new moon.”



“Harry isn’t thick though.” Sirius said before he looked at Harry. “You wouldn’t have just sat and let her drug or curse you.”



Harry shook his head. “It wasn’t like that, she was—” His hands stuttered before him as he tried to explain the odd silence that’d surrounded him while she’d asked him about his summer. “It was really confusing. She was really odd—” He stammered.



“We can use your memories to better understand.” Snape said.



Sirius nodded. “We’ll do that next then. Is that why you came here?” He asked after inhaling deeply.



“Not entirely.” Harry said before rubbing at his nose.



“You are safer than the castle currently.” Snape said, relieving Harry from having to say it aloud. He wasn’t sure why it bothered him to acknowledge the vulnerability he felt about wandering the castle and he promised himself to use the map more often from now on.



Sirius nodded. “And what Kreacher said earlier, about you being six?” He asked as he looked at Harry. “Is that something we’re looking out for?”



Harry belatedly realized that while he still felt too out in the open, having the three of them present made him feel safer, in its own way.



“And Voldemort.” Harry said as he began trying to relay everything that’d happened today.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! This chapter was tough but I hope you enjoy it! Please leave a comment below if you did, I light up when I read them! d84;
Chapter 11 by WiCeBa
“A dialogue. That’s all we’re asking for, it doesn’t have to be everyday.” Lupin’s soft voice echoed from the kitchen as Harry watched himself in the mirror. His mum’s necklace warmed steadily against his chest.

He wondered idly if hiding in a bathroom was similar to hiding in a cupboard, but he supposed the two weren’t quite the same, as he didn’t think people often voluntarily stayed in cupboards. The bathroom, on the other hand, wasn’t an entirely uncommon place to hang about in.

Ron and Hermione had hidden in a bathroom with Harry for a fairly good amount of time in their second year. They’d been brewing polyjuice, rather than hiding though.

Neither Snape nor Sirius had said Harry couldn’t hide in the bathroom, though Harry hadn’t expressly asked them either. He wasn’t sure why he’d excused himself, aside from a generally unpleasant nervousness.

Dull fingernails worried over his wrists as he considered his behaviour.

He wasn’t afraid of the argument going on. Harry’d never been afraid of an argument before and he wasn’t going to start now. There’d never been a time when he’d hidden from the Dursleys for fear of their opinion of him. The same went for Snape, Sirius and Lupin.

He’d willingly begun explaining his mess in the first place. The argument in the kitchen was his doing.

Sirius’s anger was understandable, even expected, though Harry felt he should’ve been more prepared for it. He hadn’t thought ahead when Snape suggested visiting Sirius, and he should’ve realized in advance what all would come about from their conversation.

Especially a conversation where they were asking for help.

Harry understood why they needed all the facts as well, given how little he’d had to be getting on with in years past. He knew neither Sirius nor Lupin could’ve begun to help them if they didn’t have all the information.

Poorly informed people were rarely helpful.

All the same, Harry wished he’d thought things through a bit more.

His fingernails trailed up his hands and worried over his knuckles. He’d gone into the conversation overwhelmed and still a bit confused from Dumbledore’s search.

That was somewhat fair though, wasn’t it? Harry’d had a horrible day and re-telling it hadn’t helped make him feel better. He would’ve far preferred to fall into his bed in Ms Eileen’s house and never think of any of these troubles again.

He’d gone back and forth multiple times throughout the story, and even though Snape tried to clarify the details, Harry only wound up muddying them further after having to explain it wasn’t the first time he’d heard Nagini in his head. He hadn’t enjoyed remembering the cupboard, nor did he think his rushing through it helped Sirius or Lupin.

He’d initially tried to explain why Nagini was more real than imagined by bringing up Pettigrew’s gruesome hand, but everything fell flat after that. How could he talk about that without sounding cracked in the head?

Mentioning Pettigrew around Sirius and Lupin was a cruel punishment as well, as Harry didn’t know how he’d feel hearing someone talk about Ron or Hermione if they’d betrayed him so thoroughly. Harry should’ve written Sirius, like Hermione suggested. He could’ve taken more time explaining himself and kept the more horrifying experiences quiet.

Nausea swooped in his stomach as he thought once more of what he’d seen during Dumbledore’s search, and as his reflection stared back at him, his sore eyes tracked over his face in the grimy mirror, searching for any resemblance to Tom Riddle.

No matter where he looked, he couldn’t find any trace of Voldemort, aside from his scar, which prickled ever presently. Maybe Harry’s eyes were more bloodshot and red than average, but he felt that had more to do with Dumbledore than anything Harry’d done.

He forced away a shudder as the tunnels in his mind seemed to throb despite having been closed up.

“Not even an owl though!?” Sirius shouted. “Or a fire-call!”

Guilt bit his stomach, and Harry cursed himself for not having swallowed his pride and faced Sirius and Lupin’s anger directly.

Harry wasn’t six anymore, despite how recently he’d grown. He shouldn’t leave others to suffer his punishment. There was something distinctly childish about leaving Snape alone to apologize for Harry’s mistakes.

If Snape apologized at all.

Harry silently berated himself for having even considered that option. He couldn’t imagine why Snape would bother, given how he hated Sirius and Lupin. They weren’t Snape’s mistakes either, Snape had nothing to apologize for when it came to them.

Snape hadn’t kept Sirius and Lupin in the dark, Harry did. Snape hadn’t cursed a student or spoken parseltongue, Harry did.

He wished he knew what’d been on Sirius’s mind while they’d explained Harry’s use of parseltongue. Sirius wasn’t often difficult to read, but the look on his face loomed in Harry’s thoughts.

He picked mindlessly at a hangnail and tried to shake the fuzziness from his thoughts.

He’d watched Harry in a distinctly mistrustful way, though Harry couldn’t tell if he’d been mistrustful of Voldemort or Harry himself. At least he hadn’t begun calling Harry, Tom. Dumbledore was the only person to do that so far.

Did Sirius know Voldemort’s name was Tom?

“How can we trust—”

Sirius’s shout was cut off by the sound of a chair tipping and Harry’s eyes flashed to the door. He listened and waited out a long, heart pounding moment for if fight had broken out, but an uncomfortably still silence lingered instead.

A discordant storm of footsteps neared the landing just outside the bathroom door, followed quickly by Lupin’s strained voice.

“—Reasonable! You have got to be reasonable.”

“I am being reasonable!” Sirius bit back with a sharp whisper. “I’m trying to help—”

“You cannot help Harry by hurting the people he trusts.” Lupin said. “You know this.”

“I know that I know.” Sirius said furiously. “I don’t need the reminder.”

Someone heaved a heavy sigh and Harry wobbled in place, trying desperately to keep silent over the noisy floorboards.

“I know.”

“Alright.” Lupin answered softly. “You know what he’s like. We’ve gotten a pretty good picture over the last few months. Do you remember how it was with Lily?”

Harry jerked and threw caution to the wind as he picked his way across the floor. He didn't know Sirius’s house the same way he knew Privet Drive, but he could be balanced and careful when he needed to be.

“No.”

“That’s probably for the better,” Lupin said quietly. He added something else, though Harry couldn’t quite understand what it was he’d said. He dearly wished for a pair of extendable ears at that moment. “When you’re in a room with him, try to remember that he’s not a team player. He doesn’t have a wealth of experience relying on backup.”

“Everyone is a team player when it benefits them.” Sirius snapped.

“Snape isn’t.” Lupin said. Harry could almost hear a firm look in his eyes. “You know that's true, you’re the one who noticed that trait.”

Sirius scoffed. “I only noticed it after listening to you talk about him.”

“No, you made it separate from my theories.”

“Fine, you’re right. I had that thought when I was stressed and sixteen, but now I’m looking at Snape with a different pair of eyes, and I am painfully aware of how much I’ve failed to help in the past and how much help Harry actually needs.”

Harry grimaced. He could admit he needed help with his ribbon problem and Voldemort, which were horrible in turn, but Harry didn’t feel desperate for a tremendous amount of help otherwise.

Without Umbridge and Voldemort to worry about, he’d probably be happy as anything.

“You can’t expect someone who’s constantly alone to reach out at the first sign of trouble.” Lupin said in an odd voice.

“I’m-it’s not just Snape being Snape.” Sirius whispered. “I’m frustrated to not have known anything for weeks. I’m frustrated to be kept in the dark in this rotten house, doing nothing—”

“They came here to speak with you.” Lupin said.

Harry swallowed heavily. His earlier guilt poured through him once more and he wished he could rush from the bathroom and tell Sirius how much Harry valued him. He dreaded how his actions made Sirius feel left out.

He squeezed his eyes shut at himself.

It only made things worse when he considered how stoutly Sirius stood by Harry’s side, despite everything that’d happened. Even over the summer, Snape had mentioned Sirius arguing for Harry’s involvement in what decisions affected him.

Harry’s behaviour had been a pretty poor ‘thank you’.

“They did.” Sirius whispered.

“They went to Dumbledore—”

“Fat lot of good that did.”

Harry huffed a sardonic laugh.

“Padfoot.” Lupin made another odd sound and Harry felt his heart drop as he remembered Lupin’s unnaturally excellent hearing. “Think of the circumstances. Harry didn’t know what happened, nor was he himself. Any of us would’ve gone to Dumbledore, regardless of what might come from that. Remember when Harry passed out in Lily’s flat?”

Sirius made an uncomfortable sound.

“Imagine that, tenfold.”

Harry struggled to think back on what had happened at the time, as he’d been fairly sick and not paying attention.

He vaguely remembered having explained wanting to use his mum’s necklace as a portkey before falling into Nagini’s head and watching Bellatrix Lestrange be tortured. He’d landed back in his mum’s flat shortly after and found himself in the middle of a conversation with Snape, Sirius and Dumbledore. He couldn’t remember how he’d wound up in Dumbledore’s presence though, and he’d never considered what the three had talked about while he’d been with Nagini.

“That’s why we should’ve come with them to Dumbledore!” Sirius said furiously. “We might’ve been able to force him to explain this!”

“He said Harry wasn’t possessed.” Lupin said quietly. “That’s more than enough to be getting on with.”

“No it isn’t. This isn’t a ‘guess what I’m thinking’ game, this is Harry’s life!”

Anger burned in Harry’s chest and he wished suddenly that Sirius had come with them to Dumbledore’s meeting.

His fists clenched and his nails bit into his palms. Dumbledore likely wouldn’t have been able to stupefy both Sirius and Snape, and Sirius wouldn’t have let Dumbledore hunt through Harry’s thoughts so easily. Harry knew Snape hadn’t allowed Dumbledore to search through Harry either, just as Harry'd tried to stop him. Three on one was a bit different from one adult and a child sized person though, wasn’t it?

He tried to take a deep breath as he pictured the snitch, but it struggled to flutter into his mind. The concept of Occlumency seemed to only grow more difficult the longer he practiced, and he was beginning to doubt his ability to learn it.

“Harry?” Lupin called, shocking Harry from his thoughts.

Harry flinched and mentally berated the creaking floorboards beneath him.

“Are you alright in there?” Lupin asked.

Sirius whispered something, but it was cut off with a swift sound.

Harry shook his head ‘no’ at the faded, black door and lamented every decision he’d ever made. He was fairly sure Lupin couldn’t hear the quiet gesture and thanked the door for whatever modicum of privacy it gave him.

“Yes.” He croaked after a second.

“Would you like a glass of water?” Lupin asked.

Harry swallowed heavily as he stared at the dinged, antique glass knob before he pushed the door open and quickly spied Sirius and Lupin hunched together near a painted bannister. Sirius’s eyes lingered nervously on Harry, seeming to wait for him to say something, though Harry dreaded the idea of apologizing until he knew how to make up for his lack of communication. He wished the two had finished their conversation and Harry’d been able to escape before Lupin heard him, though, maybe Lupin had assumed Harry’d chosen that bathroom, and only remembered to check before continuing their conversation.

That seemed unlikely, given his hearing.

“There are glasses in the cabinet.” Lupin said as his head tilted toward the kitchen. “Should I show you where they are?”

“I wasn’t—” Harry started before clearing his throat. “I wasn’t eavesdropping, intentionally.” He said lamely. Aunt Petunia’s hatred for eavesdropping rose up his spine, though he crushed it before he could acknowledge it. It was very difficult to avoid listening in on conversations when his cupboard was in an echoey hallway. The door had slats on the wall as well, leaving it even more open. “I didn’t, I—”

“I didn’t accuse you of eavesdropping.” Lupin said kindly. “I thought I heard a worrying sound and asked how you were because of that.”

Harry blinked dumbly.

If Lupin meant one frustrated huff, then maybe he worried Harry was more cracked than he let on. Harry’d handled far more horrible problems than Umbridge and speaking parseltongue in his life before, the Triwizard Tournament wasn’t exactly a walk in the park for a fourth year, and neither was the graveyard.

“I’m not mental. I’m just stressed.” Harry quickly answered. “Which I think is fair, given everything that’s gone on!” He said as he waved a hand through the air and gestured toward the invisible problems.

“I didn’t say you were mental either.” Lupin said.

“Well—”

“Let’s get some water.” Lupin said with a nod before nudging Sirius toward the kitchen. He rifled through the baggy pockets of his cardigan and pulled out a bit of chocolate.

Harry’s fists clenched once more and he almost wanted to shout as he trailed after them. He wasn’t sure what it was he wanted to shout about, perhaps he wanted to force Lupin to admit he’d caught Harry eavesdropping, or admit he thought Harry was cracked, but Lupin seemed determined to be thick about it.

The crooked candelabras on the walls brightened as they passed by. Harry wasn’t sure how, but he was sure they were aware of his frustrated mood, and he wondered if thats why they’d brightened.

His mum’s necklace hummed warmly.

“I think it would be wise to change topics.” Lupin said as they slipped into the kitchen.

Snape sat up when he saw Harry and his eyes tracked over his face. He didn’t look angry to have sat through Sirius and Lupin’s frustration, but he didn’t look entirely pleased to still be present either.

Harry scratched idly over his wrists again.

“Let’s focus on your,” Lupin paused for a moment as he struggled to find the right wording. “Inability to discuss Voldemort’s rebirth.”

The ribbons slipped around Harry’s thoughts at Lupin’s comment and he tried to shake them away, but they danced through his thoughts regardless. He didn’t think anyone had spoken outright about Voldemort around Harry since they’d first tried exploring Harry’s ribbons, and he worried now that he’d miss details by being intentionally distracted.

Lupin stepped toward a cabinet and pulled a glass down before filling it with water and passing it to Harry. He broke off a piece of chocolate each for Sirius and Harry, before offering some to Snape, though Snape denied it.

Harry almost wished he’d taken a piece, it might help the three of them become better friends.

“Would it be possible for you to get Harry’s memory of the meeting with Umbridge, Severus?” Lupin asked as he looked toward Snape. “So we can search through it.”

Snape raised an eyebrow at the request, though he kept quiet as he stood and gave Harry a reassuring look before making his way toward the fireplace in the sitting room. Harry had a sudden memory of the time Snape had left him with Ms Eileen in the market while he ran a short errand. He knew it was illogical to worry about Snape choosing to leave permanently, but his heart thumped at the thought all the same. The floo gave a rushing sound as Snape called out the location for his house.

Harry fought the urge to run into the sitting room and check if he truly had gone. He wondered if Sirius or Lupin would think of his behaviour as childish if he sat and waited near the entryway.

No doubt they would.

“While Snape’s at it, try and describe what sensation—”

“Ribbons.” Harry said quickly before wondering if Lupin might be able to hear the way they slid over Harry’s face. “Ribbons, can you hear them?”

Lupin shook his head ‘no’. “I’m going to ask you some ‘yes and no’ questions, you nod or shake your head. Hopefully that’ll get around your inability to explain them.”

Harry nodded.

“Can you feel ribbons now?” Lupin asked.

Harry nodded again as they slid over his jaw.

Sirius rubbed a hand over his own jaw and helped guide Harry into a chair before falling into the seat next to him. “Do you feel them everyday, or only when Voldemort is mentioned?” He asked.

Lupin held up a hand. “Yes or no, Sirius.” He said. “Snape mentioned a babbling effect, and that might affect anyone listening to Harry, as well as Harry himself.” He added.

Condensation dripped down Harry’s glass and he set it onto the table quickly. He blinked toward the hallway that fed into the entryway and wondered how long it actually took to travel between the locations. Harry hadn’t felt it’d taken a very long time when he’d been with Snape, but then, they hadn’t been held up for any reasons. What if Dumbledore stopped Snape?

What if Umbridge stalled him?

The anger he’d felt upon hearing Snape working for Umbridge simmered beneath his skin. A frightfully possessive feeling crept up on him, but he tried to ignore it as he turned back to Lupin.

He belatedly realized his apprehension hadn’t been missed, as Lupin’s flat eyes watched Harry closely.

“Sorry, erm, were-er,” Harry stammered. “Were those the only questions?”

“No,” Lupin said with a slow shake of his head. “You mentioned having found a way around them?”

Harry nodded.

“Did you do that by swapping out Voldemort for You-Know-Who?” Lupin asked.

Harry shook his head ‘no’. “Mass-murdering megalomaniac.” He idly rubbed over his wrist and tried to ignore the urge to look toward the entryway once more, but he found himself quickly searching over the empty walls and floor despite himself.

“Both You-Know-Who and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named cause ribbons?”

“You-Know-Who doesn’t. I think she wants me afraid to say his name.” Harry said, remembering how strange it was for Umbridge to have chosen that name to be safe to say, if she wanted everyone to believe Voldemort was truly dead. “Neither does Tom Riddle.”

Sirius blinked. “Tom Riddle?” He asked as he tossed a quick look at Lupin.

“That’s his name.” Harry said. “Tom Marvolo Riddle Jnr.” The ribbons lay dormant as he thought of the name, which struck Harry as odd once more. He wondered if she thought Voldmort’s name was truly Lord Voldemort. “Though I don’t remember if Junior made it into his—” He flicked a hand at the glowing letters in his mind. They flickered past one another as they rearranged themselves before forming ‘I am Lord Voldemort’. “I suppose there’s no ‘J’ so he couldn’t have put it in there.”

“Wait—” Lupin began slowly.

“How did you learn that?” Sirius held a hand to Lupin and leant closer as a concerned crease cut over his brow. He whispered the name ‘Marvolo’ beneath his breath before turning back to Harry. “I don’t think we’ve heard of a middle name. I don’t think we’ve even heard of the last name.”

“Erm,” Harry started after realizing how far off track he’d gone. “A couple places, really.” He said before swallowing heavily as Tom Riddle Snr’s headstone blinked in his mind. “He doesn’t like the name, despises it actually.”

“Does he? What do you think?” Sirius asked.

Harry shrugged. “I think it’s just a name.”

He looked back toward the entryway and tried to take a deep breath. Snape would be back soon, just as he’d come back at the market.

“An pseudonym is a good way to cover a muggle name.” Lupin said as he gave a questioning look at Sirius. “Riddle’s not a pureblood name.” He added as Sirius shook his head ‘no’. “Neither is Tom.”

“Plenty of purebloods have average names though,” Sirius said. “Doesn’t mean they’re any less of a pureblood.”

“His dad was a muggle.” Harry said. “His mum was a witch, but he didn’t know that until much later I think, because he said she’d lived long enough to give him his name.”

Lupin’s eyes widened. “He’s chatty.”

“When he thinks he’s winning.” Harry said darkly. He tugged at his sweater and tried to take a sip of water to distract himself.

“That helps explain a few things about him though, doesn’t it?” Lupin said. “Even if he isn’t strictly muggle-born, some people who grow up without being surrounded by magic can be more dangerous, given their lack of preconceived notions about it.”

“Well, now—” Sirius said with a raised finger.

Harry was quickly reminded of Hermione’s frightening skill with magic, though he hadn’t considered his own skills as frightening. He didn’t think he underestimated himself, but he didn’t exactly feel truly dangerous.

“I dunno.” Harry said, unsure if that truly made so much of a difference.

“Because purebloods grow up with magic, they’re more aware of it’s limitations and faults, they’re less likely to try new things because they assume they’ll fail based on prior knowledge.” Lupin said. “Muggle-borns often offer a broader sense of creativity. It’s an unspoken aspect of why they’re discriminated against. They’re a bit more inventive, if they’re drawn to invention. They aren’t as aware of innate limits, and will push themselves as far as they can go.”

“Marvolo.” Sirius said as he tapped the table. “You don’t know he didn’t find this Marvolo character and learn it all from him.”

“He grew up in a muggle orphanage.” Harry said quickly. “At least, he asked Dippet to let him stay at Hogwarts over the holidays because of it.” Harry added, though he thought belatedly if he should keep quiet about everything Tom Riddle had told him in the Chamber of Secrets.

“Voldemort willingly told you this?” Lupin asked with a concerned look.

“Well,” Harry started. “Well, he was curious. The version of him that I met was, I mean.” He gave them a pleading look and hoped they’d believe him, despite how mad this sounded. He hadn’t tried to explain this to anyone but Dumbledore before. “He’d, erm, he’d been possessing Ginny. And Ginny’d mentioned me, but he’d been confused about how I could’ve killed him, or-I mean, him in the future.”

Lupin gave him an increasingly concerned look but before he could add anything else, the front door opened and Harry shot out of his chair.

He bolted down the hallway and his nervous worry eased as he spotted Snape’s soaked dark cloak weighing him down.

“Have they behaved themselves?” Snape asked as he shook the rain from his sleeves and flicked his wand. Any evidence of a thunderstorm was swept from his before tugged Harry into a careful one armed hug.

“They were fine.” Harry whispered. “They asked some questions about the ribbons and Vol-er, him but nothing happened.”

Snape hummed.

“Did you see Dumbledore?” Harry asked. “Or Umbridge?”

“I saw neither,” Snape said. “I doubt Dumbledore will visit with either of us for a day or two, unless he’s in desperate need. He likely wants to give you space and time to put your thoughts together, after what happened.”

Harry scoffed.

Snape nodded once. “His manners extend only so far.”

They made short work of returning to the kitchen while Snape pulled a shrunken pensieve from his pocket and resized it. Lupin asked Harry several questions in a row as he worked, such as if he needed to say the passphrase in order for the ribbons to stop every time they choked him, if the passphrase changed depending on context and if the ribbons showed up directly after his meeting or if they were delayed, but they were all answered in short succession without Harry babbling too much.

“Harry, I’ll go in with you first if you’re up for it, then Sirius can view it, if he chooses.” Lupin said.

Snape looked displeased, but Harry nodded before he could comment. He stepped closer to the pensieve and wondered idly why Lupin would’ve even been concerned in the first place, seeing as it was Harry’s memory. It wasn’t as if he was rewatching Voldemort’s rebirth.

Ribbons flickered over his lips, but he tried to ignore them.

“Shall we, then?” Lupin asked.

Harry blinked upward to check with Snape and worried suddenly about leaving him and Sirius alone. They’d already stayed in a room together for a while this evening, he didn’t think they could tolerate much more. There might not be a kitchen to come back to, if they were left to themselves. An uncomfortable feeling crept up his spine at the sudden thought of showing Lupin his memory as well, as Harry didn’t think he’d been the most aware during the meeting, and given how proudly Sirius and Lupin spoke of Harry, he worried they’d think he was cracked to have willingly sat through a meeting with Umbridge.

Sirius had already mentioned Harry not being thick enough to let her so close.

“They’ll be alright,” Lupin whispered as he dipped the silvery memory into the bowl. “Give them a chance. They might surprise you.”

Harry edged closer to the bowl and tried to resist the urge to turn back around and check with Snape once more.

Lupin’s head dove down, forcing Harry to push aside his worries and follow quickly. He found himself watching a Memory Harry knock on the heavy, iron banded door to the Defense office.

Snape hadn’t been kidding when he’d remarked on how ill Harry’d been the evening of the memory. He wondered why no one had pointed it out sooner, but shook his head after remembering someone had. Hermione urged him to find Madam Pomfrey. Looking at himself now, he couldn’t imagine why Umbridge wouldn’t have sent him away to come back later, if she wanted to poison him.

No poison would’ve stayed down, given his sickly pallor.

“Symptoms of the aging potions failure?” Lupin asked as he looked at Harry’s sweaty form.

Harry nodded as Umbridge’s sickly-sweet voice echoed around them. He wondered if the buzzing in his ears was from his memory or his reaction to hearing Unbridge’s voice.

“Ah, Mr Potter.”

Memory Harry gave a fierce shudder and Umbridge’s yowling cats took over Harry’s thoughts just they’d taken over when he’d visited Umbridge the first time. Her china plates looked like the type to fall and easily break, only further reminding him of Aunt Petunia. He supposed Umbridge must’ve charmed them to stay on the wall, or else they’d have probably all broken after Fred and George brought down the wall.

He was very glad she hadn’t thought of a way to blame him for that wall.

“Lovely decorations.” Lupin said as they followed Harry further into the room. “Very pink.”

“Good evening, Professor.”

“Like Aunt Petunia’s sitting room.” Harry said as he shook away his own shudder.

Lupin blinked curiously at him before returning to watching the memory.

“You received my message, I’m so pleased.” Umbridge said with her horrible smile. “I was unsure if we’d have time to chat before lessons started tomorrow, but I had a few concerns I wanted to discuss, like I mentioned in my note.”

“That’d be the note Severus tested?” Lupin asked.

Harry nodded and watched Umbridge continue speaking until she invited his memory to sit down. Her painted lips split into a grotesquely wide smile as she spoke. Harry was unsure why anyone would intentionally paint their face like she had, given how odd and disquieting it made anyone who looked at her feel. The missing flecks from where she’d forgotten to touch it up made her look strangely less normal. She reminded Harry of Mrs Polkiss, and the way she and Aunt Petunia used to test out colors on each other while Harry made them tea and finger sandwiches.

Mrs Polkiss had thought practicing waiting tables would serve Harry well.

“It’s curious how she knew you weren’t at Privet Drive.” Lupin’s soft voice echoed from somewhere to Harry’s right.

Harry blinked upward at him and wondered what he thought of Umbridge so far. Perhaps asking Harry questions was a way to distract him from thinking about Snape and Sirius getting into a fight?

“The Order didn’t maintain a watch on that house, as you weren’t there.” Lupin stepped over to the blurry paperwork on her desk. Harry supposed it made sense for it to be difficult to read in his memory, given how he’d struggled to do so during the actual meeting.

“I would be less surprised had she known you were in Germany, but she only knew that you weren’t present at Privet Drive,” Lupin clicked his tongue.

Harry stomach soured. He didn’t fancy thinking of Germany at the moment.

“If the Ministry was actually aware that you weren’t present at the house, they’d have checked on you. It’d have been in the papers.”

Harry belatedly remembered Snape saying something similar. The humming grew in his ears, and Harry wondered if he was beginning to drop into his thoughts.

“Did Severus say if your aunt mentioned her.”

Harry blinked at Umbridge’s face. Snape mentioned writing to Aunt Petunia, but he somehow doubted she’d written back. Maybe he’d visited her in person, but neglected to tell Harry?

Umbridge rose from her seat and crept closer to the memory Harry, in a way eerily reminiscent of Aragog. She hung over her desk and moved hand over hand around the side of it as she encroached upon them.

“She doesn’t take her eyes off you, does she?” Lupin asked in an echoey voice.

He opened his mouth to reply but no sound came out. The buzzing that’d hummed in his ears during their meeting dampened his thoughts.

Something tickled his wrists, silencing the buzzing unnaturally.

Harry flinched and twisted around as he searched for what had paused the sound. He spotted Lupin quickly, and jerked as he noticed the concerned look on his face.

“How did you do that?” Harry asked as shock filtered through him. He tossed a second nervous looked around and realized that the memory had frozen with an unnatural stillness. He quickly spied Umbridge leaning fully over the memory of himself, who’d been hunched down and clearly desperate to hide, but lacking anywhere to go.

He swallowed back the uncomfortable feeling of seeing stark fear in his eyes.

It was hard to tell how long Harry’d been lost in his thoughts, but he hoped it’d only been a second or two. Lupin likely didn’t know Snape’s trick for pulling Harry from his thoughts, but maybe he’d been the cause of whatever brushed over his hand.

“I don’t think you should suffer this twice, Harry.” Lupin said softly. “There’s no need to go through this again.”

“But, I’m-I’m ok.” Harry said.

Maybe he’d been caught in his thoughts, but he’d far prefer a bit of discomfort now if it removed the ribbons sooner.

“I thought you’d need help with an explanation, or some more reason for why I sat or—”

“While I appreciate your background knowledge, I’m far more concerned with how this can still affect you.” Lupin said softly. “I hadn’t anticipated what level of an attack this was, and I should’ve. I’m sorry. Severus watched this alone, didn’t he?

Harry nodded as he thought of the way Snape had spoken about Umbridge’s questions, rather than her actions when Harry’d asked him about the memory.

“Sirius and I can review it later and ask you what your opinions are. You shouldn’t feel pressured into reliving it though.” Lupin said before pointing upwards and pulling Harry out.

They found themselves in a remarkably unchanged kitchen.

Harry looked nervously between Snape and Sirius, and found that aside from a sort of prolonged staring contest, neither looked worse than they had before Harry and Lupin viewed the memory.

Snape quickly abandoned whatever silent game he and Sirius were playing and checked Harry over.

Harry nearly wanted to laugh, as Snape behaved oddly similar to how Mrs Weasley had, when she inspected Ron after he’d been attacked by doxies. Snape wasn’t nearly as obvious in his concern and he gave Harry quite a bit of room as he worked, but the comparison stood.

He flicked his wand and cast a gentle cooling charm over Harry, before looking carefully at his eyes and hands.

“How was it then?” Sirius asked as he watched Snape.

“I recommend watching for yourself.” Lupin said as gave Sirius a blank look.

Sirius nodded, and Harry worried again about how difficult to read he was becoming.

“I do have one thought, that’s been on my mind for a while now.” Lupin said. “If you’re up to hearing about it Harry.”

Harry twisted away from Snape and nodded.

“You had a pretty pronounced reaction when you walked into her office,” Lupin began slowly. “And again after the fact when you watched it, though it was a bit more subdued.”

“Yeah,” Harry said, remembering the uncomfortable shudder her office brought about. “Her office looks like Aunt Petunia’s sitting room. Snape’s seen it, it’s not a calm place to be.”

“It’s certainly not a room designed for comfort.” Snape said.

Lupin hummed an agreeable sound. “Based on your reactions, I’m beginning to think you were confunded.”

“What?” Sirius asked. “Illegality aside, why not wait? She couldn’t have known how Harry’d react to that, confunding someone off the bat—”

“Because gagging curses take a long time to cast.” Lupin said, parroting Sirius’s comment from earlier. “And she’s on a tight schedule. It’s difficult to parsel through that memory. Your focus is all over the room, Harry which isn’t unusual for a memory of an attack.” He added before Harry could begin defending himself. “It’s also notoriously difficult to tell from memory alone if someone has been confunded, but the effect is a pronounced shudder followed by a varying degree of confusion from the attacked party. You’re near silent during that conversation. You blink a bit at her, but otherwise seem completely unable to respond to anything she asks.”

“Because she scared me!” Harry snapped before feeling as if his heart dropped into his stomach at his own words.

“Harry,” Lupin said softly. “It’s not a judgement on your reaction, it's an observation.”

“What did you think?!” Harry asked as he whirled around to look at Snape. He wasn’t sure if he wanted to hide beneath his cloak again, regardless of his size. “You never said anything about my being confunded!”

Snape looked carefully at Harry before slowly inhaling. “I’ve seen your reactions to your aunt’s house before, as well as during other moments when you’ve panicked. If I had believed you’d been confunded, I’d have told you.”

“Please don’t think Severus missed an obvious clue, Harry.” Lupin cut in quickly. “Confundus charms and traumatized reactions can be easily mistaken for each other. How one person reacts to events may appear very much like the effects of a confundus charm.” He added in a careful tone. “It’s only because you were present and gave a similar, but different reaction that I noticed it.”

“What about her tea though, or her note!?” Harry asked quickly. A mortifying feeling began curling through him at how quickly and easily Umbridge had gotten to him.

“We don’t know if they have or have not been tampered with, so we’ll continue to wait on results for those. It wouldn’t be out of the ordinary for the Ministry to utilize several ways to achieve their means.” Sirius said as something angry burned behind his grey eyes. “If it really is a gagging curse keeping you silent, you’re in an excellent house to find the counter-curse.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! It’s slow progress, but we’re getting there. 🖤 I hope you enjoyed it, and if you did, please leave a comment below!
Chapter 12 by WiCeBa
“We can collect what books we may need and narrow our search from there.” Sirius said as he led them toward his family’s collection. “I’m not sure how generous we’ll need to be with the term ‘gagging curse’, but we’ve got loads on the topic.”

Snape slipped further down the stacks and began trailing a finger over the spines, somehow knowing innately where to go. He quickly spied what he seemed to believe he’d likely need and began forming a pile to the right of his foot. Harry supposed it wasn’t too odd for Snape to know Sirius’s library so well, as he’d mentioned borrowing books from him before.

Harry dropped to the bottom shelves and found several ominous titles before picking one with a cover so dark, it appeared black. Upon closer reflection, though, he found it was actually a very dark green.

“We know the curse reacts to discussion about an event, so we can lose that bunch there,” Sirius said with a lazy wave toward a rotted China cabinet. It looked to have been repurposed at some point over the years, though no one had bothered to fix it up. “It’s all curses tied to individuals, and Harry said he could still speak around Umbridge.”

Harry nodded and cracked the spine on his own book before swallowing back a shudder as he paged through.

The illustrations writhed painfully next to their respective descriptions and he couldn’t help being reminded, however distantly, of the way Bellatrix Lestrange’s head had snapped backwards in one of his visions.

“You don’t think she’d have gone for something from the late 1800’s?” Sirius asked with a pinched look. “She’d have had easy access to confiscated texts, and gagging curses were all the rage at the time.”

“A curse that old would be too complicated.” Snape said. He sniffed and pulled another book free before adding it to the pile. “She’d have needed to perform it with her modern understanding of magical theory, which is vastly different from that of the late 1800’s.” His fingers skittered overtop of a second book before tugging it free and searching though it at a quick pace.

Sirius’s eyes flickered toward his eyebrows, almost as if he wanted to roll them, but thought better if it.

Hermione’s chiding voice reminded Harry quite suddenly of Snape’s previous obsession with the dark arts. He hadn’t thought to ask them separately if they’d look into the curse.

He wasn’t sure if he should ask them either, as he’d kept them in the dark for too long to deserve favours from them.

He tried to nonchalantly watch them, and see how they might react, but he caught sight of the study instead. The memory of Sirius sweeping him off to his uncomfortable safe house rose through his thoughts, and Harry couldn’t shake the feeling that Sirius would somehow manage to do it again, if Harry mentioned being worried about Snape’s obsession.

“She might’ve had help figuring out what that theory would’ve involved though, she could’ve asked anyone within the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad.” Sirius said as he spied a thick and ragged looking book and slid it free before sneaking it onto a shelf on his right.

The floor croaked beneath his feet as stepped over to another crooked bookcase and searched the dusty shelves.

Harry couldn’t imagine Kreacher did much cleaning in these rooms, despite how Sirius’s mum had apparently loved them. The dirt had grown so thick, Harry fancied he could tell which footprints came from Hermione’s quick searches and which from Sirius’s slower investigations.

Even the wall sconces, which were likely dim to give the room a bit of dramatic atmosphere, were so crusted with cobwebs and dust, that Harry wondered why they bothered lighting them.

“What’s her wand work like?” Lupin asked as he tossed another book into Snape’s pile and pulled a second one down. He flipped slowly through it’s index, though didn’t appear impressed.

“She’s charmed the blackboard and levitated some things, but I’ve never seen her cast anything otherwise.” Harry said.

Anything aside from the gagging curse, of course. Harry supposed that curse didn’t count, as he hadn’t seen her cast anything during his memory. He couldn’t remember when she’d have had a chance to cast anything beforehand either, as she’d only finished speaking about the new term before she’d rushed to her office and summoned Harry with her horribly perfumed note.

“It’s difficult to secure such a high ranking office while being bad at magic.” Lupin turned toward Harry. “It’s nearly impossible, really.”

“Fudge.” Snape said in a wry tone.

Sirius paused and Harry wondered if he’d inhaled a bit of dust, as he let out an odd cough before returning to his investigation.

“Well,” Lupin said awkwardly. “That’s quite a good point, though, I should think that even Fudge would prefer a skilled duelist for the defense position, especially considering what’s come about from the last few professors.”

“Dolores Umbridge is not a skilled duelist.” Snape said with a sniff. “Nor is she a skilled researcher or inventor. I have sat through too many staff meetings to believe otherwise.”

“That doesn’t mean the spell didn’t drop into her lap.” Sirius said. “For all we know, Fudge had it on hand for the next unlucky sod he brought in for questioning.”

He leant down and looked idly over Harry’s chosen book and grimaced.

“Maybe, er, maybe you ought to steer clear of that one.” He whispered in Harry’s ear before tugging the book free. “That one’s an heirloom.”

Harry watched as Sirius slipped it next to the other thick text he’d found. He wondered if it was Snape’s eyes lingering on him as he and Sirius spoke, but he couldn’t bring himself to look and check. He wasn’t sure he liked the book being taken from him either, given that it was his curse they were researching.

While Harry didn’t have a grand understanding of Latin, he knew the book had been called something like ‘Curses and the Body’, which seemed like as good a place to start as any.

He wondered if the Jelly Legs curse he’d cast on Malfoy was in that book somewhere.

There was still no explanation for how he’d known how to cast it, or when he’d learnt nonverbal spells. Harry hardly had time to do his actual homework, he certainly had no time to learn vicious extra curriculars.

“It’s very likely Fudge supplied her with several tools to succeed, but given that she appears to be a poorly skilled witch, those tools should’ve stayed exactly that,” Lupin said. “Tools.”

“Make your point Moony,” Sirius as he steered Harry toward what he apparently considered a safer shelf. “I can hear you thinking it.”

Lupin snapped his book shut. “A witch, who’s only apparent skill is in Ministry work, successfully incapacitated and attacked Harry, set a highly complicated and time consuming gagging curse on top of any number of potential conjoining spells, gets away with it and continues on teaching.”

Snape’s harried paging slowed and Sirius rocked back and forth on his heels.

“You’re not suggesting she’s polyjuiced,” Sirius asked. “Are you?”

“No,” Lupin said. “I am suggesting though that she’s more than she seems and I don’t want to underestimate her.” He looked toward Snape. “I know we’re considering her a threat, but do we know what she’s capable of?”

“She’s Ministry.” Sirius’s nose wrinkled distastefully. “They’re all a bit meaner than they look, no one in public office could succeed otherwise.”

“Are you under the impression I’ve let her actions go?” Snape asked as his eyes narrowed. “Or that I’ve somehow forgotten about her presence in that school and what damage it already has incurred?”

“No, Severus.” Lupin said firmly. “I’m speaking to her skill in curses, and the frequency she may or may not cast them at.”

“Is it very likely she’d know another though?” Sirius asked. “Considering what her job description was before, and is now? All she really needs to do is keep Harry quiet.”

“And stop him from making waves and raising an alarm.” Lupin finished. “This is one gagging curse, she may specialize in—”

“Like Lockhart!” Harry said, excited to finally know enough to contribute. “And how he specialized in memory charms.” The odd blue colour that’d exploded out the back of Ron’s broken wand flickered in Harry’s mind. He wondered sometimes if Lockhart’s spell had affected his surroundings, as sometimes, Ron struggled to remember how Lockhart had even gotten control of his wand.

“I knew that bloke was dodgy.” Sirius said. “You should’ve heard how Azkaban reacted whenever he’d make the front page.”

Snape inhaled slowly and turned back to his reading, though something tightened along his shoulders, making him look almost stone-like.

Lupin nodded. “It doesn’t surprise me to hear about his skill in that art.” He said. “But if you mean he was uncommonly skilled before his eventual downfall, then that’s what I’m thinking as well.”

“Umbridge doesn’t really strike me as someone with a working background in curses.” Sirius said. “I’m more of the opinion that we’ve seen how skilled she is, but that is the extent of her. She’s mean, and willing—”

“Willing.” Lupin snapped.

Sirius twisted and his eyes widened at Lupin.

“Anyone willing to figure out how to gag a fifteen year old and cause them as much pain as Harry’s gone through is willing to do a lot more than let it go if it’s stopped.”

“You want to keep it active, until the right moment.” Snape guessed as something cold flickered behind his eyes.

Harry was silently pleased to have noticed how Snape felt, though he wondered if he might’ve misread him, as Snape didn’t say anything else about how he felt.

“I don’t, I don’t want Harry to have to go through more trouble.” Lupin said sharply.

“Hermione and I are already looking into ways to counteract the effects.” Harry said as he inched back towards the book Sirius had taken from him. He wasn’t actually sure if that were the case, as he and Hermione argued quite a bit, she may have written him off for the evening out of frustration. “We could do that, instead of removing it?”

Sirius shook his head. “Those curses can leave lasting effects, the longer you’re under it, the more it might sink into you.”

Nausea churned through Harry’s stomach and he had him nearly running for a bin. His mum’s necklace flared, though Harry could hardly pay attention to it.

“You’ve only had it a few weeks,” Sirius said quickly. His hands fluttered near Harry and his pale face drained of colour. “It’s only mid October, hardly-hardly what I’d call long term damage—”

Harry shook his head wildly.

An awful itching sensation wormed beneath his skin and Harry couldn’t figure out how to make it stop.

He hadn’t considered Umbridge’s actions having lasting effects, nor had he considered that they may not solve this in time to undo the effects. He wouldn’t be able to fight Voldemort if he couldn’t bloody well breathe while around him!

Ribbons slipped over Harry’s lips and he couldn’t tell if they were choking him or if he truly couldn’t breath. His heart pounded as if they were tightening by the second. Harry wouldn’t be able to handle Death Eaters or Ministry employees if he could hardly get a word out around them! He couldn’t run away if his legs went dead when he spoke of Voldemort’s rebirth!

He wouldn’t be able to escape!

If he couldn’t escape he might as well be dead now, because Voldemort would certainly target him again!

He’d be dead. Umbridge had left Harry to die in the most painful—

“Slowly Harry,” Snape’s soft voice washed over Harry’s thoughts. “Slowly.”

Something swept firmly down Harry’s nose and he blinked his eyes open, having missed whenever he closed them. Bright specks of light popped around the blurry library and Harry was unpleasantly reminded of Rita Skeeter’s grungy photographer.

“In again.” Snape said as a long finger brushed over his nose once more.

Harry’s chest tightened briefly, though he found it a fair bit easier to breath after more time went on. He felt his glasses settle onto the bridge of his nose and the library came into focus once more.

“What Black was speaking about, for curses such as the one you are under, are the more psychosomatic effects.” Snape said as he leant away from Harry. “Your subconscious reaction to painful stimuli, could lead to a trend of continued fear.”

Harry mentally whispered about Voldemort’s rebirth in his mind, and paid more attention to the way he unconsciously began stiffening just before the ribbons slipped through his thoughts.

“I’m not afraid of his name.” Harry said as anger burned in his chest. “She can be, but I’m not.”

He blinked down the short length of the library and wondered idly where Sirius and Lupin had gone, before hearing their whispered voices a few stacks over.

“We may want to go back to Hogwarts sooner, rather than later.” Snape said, glancing toward a cracked wall clock. “We have enough to be starting with, and seeing as tomorrow is Saturday, we may be able to find what she used with some speed.”

Hermione’s voice chimed in Harry’s thoughts once more, and the urge to ask Snape about his feelings about exploring more of the Dark Arts bubbled through him.

“Erm—” Harry started before slamming his mouth shut as a fierce worry overtook his thoughts.

Would Snape consider Harry’s questioning as rude, or prying? Is it something Harry was even allowed to have an opinion on? Snape had brought it up openly around Harry before, but that had been Snape’s choice!

Aunt Petunia hissed in his ears. ‘Don’t ask questions!’

“Harry,” Snape leaned closer once more. “I far prefer you ask me about what worries you.” He said softly. “I am more capable of helping, when I know what you need.”

“It’s,” Harry started again, running his nails over his wrists. “I’m just, it’s-Hermione said, she said it might be better for you not to research.” He said in a strained whisper. “Because, I don’t want you to—” He strongly wanted to run head first off the Astronomy Tower, he wasn’t sure why he’d started this conversation just after a melt down. “I don’t want you to be addicted-or become, like, how you’d said before, when my mum sent her necklace.” He finished dumbly. The pendant in mum’s necklace came to life and warmed.

Snape blinked once at Harry before turning to look at the pile to his right.

“While Miss Granger’s worry may not have been,” Snape paused. “Entirely unfounded, I think it’s important to note that we are researching a counter-curse,” Snape spoke as if he struggled to find the right words. “Rather than searching for curses that will harm enemies.” He plucked one of the books from the pile and flipped it open to a random page before showing Harry.

Harry saw what looked like hundreds of outcomes to certain curses, but each one had far more detail on countering the effects than it did on the effects themselves.

“My attention will be very difficult to sway, in this endeavor. I won’t deny that her worry is valid, the Dark Arts are an addictive subset of magic, but it is more important to be aware of intent, in this instance, rather than context. I care more about helping you, than I do learning multiple ways to harm others.”

Harry’s worries eased slightly, though he wasn’t sure if he felt worlds better. He was glad Snape hadn’t reacted angrily.

Snape ran a careful hand through Harry’s fringe and something flickered across his face. His lips pinched in a way Harry’d seen often enough in Germany. Harry hadn’t figured out what it meant, or what brought about that look. He didn’t think of it as a disappointed expression though.

Snape inhaled slowly one last time and motioned for Harry to follow him before spinning on his heel and collecting a stack of books. He pointed at what remained in a silent ask for Harry to grab.

Harry tugged them from the ground and trailed after Snape, but caught sight of Sirius’s heirloom out of the corner of his eye. He darted closer and snagged the book before jamming it between a few other books from the pile.

“—just have to move past them.” Lupin whispered as Harry caught up with them.

Sirius twisted and a miserable expression greeted Harry. “Harry—” He tried to say.

“It’s ok!” Harry said with what he hoped was a confident smile, but felt more like a wan grimace. “It’s just me, I’m, erm, I’m just a bit stressed, but I’ll work on it. Occlumency I reckon.” He nodded wildly.

Sirius frowned and looked as if he wanted to tug Harry into a tight hug, but kept his hands still instead.

Lupin clasped Sirius’s shoulder and turned to lead them down several flights of stairs. “We will endeavor not to cause you further stress, but it’s not something that’s always avoidable. We’ll likely be confronting stressful topics for years to come. We’re all doing our best, but it’s a war. Speaking on that,” He turned over his shoulder to look Snape in the eye. “We can’t have those kids defenseless. You might be their only source of Defensive lessons for a while, Severus, you might want to bulk up on the topic before the term is out.”

Snape sniffed but didn’t respond otherwise.

Harry somehow doubted Snape would begin offering supplemental lessons behind Umbridge’s back. He might show Harry how best to defend himself, but would probably balk at the thought of instructing students after already having to deal with them during the day.

“I’ll also be available, but it’s possible Umbridge will be on the lookout for me, given that you and your classmates felt favourably about my lessons.”

Sirius rounded the bannister and led them into a warm and brightly lit sitting room. Harry vaguely remembered having woken up in the room after escaping Avery. The couch looked far too small from what Harry remembered. He’d hardly taken up two cushions and it looked more like a loveseat than a couch.

Snape set his stack books on a side table and shrunk them, along with the stack in Harry’s arms.

“Likewise, about being kept in the dark.” Lupin said as he dropped his hands into the pockets of his jumper and nudged Sirius’s shoe with his own.

Harry’s heart fluttered for a brief second, and he worried Lupin or Sirius might actually begin to yell at him, as they hadn’t had the chance when he’d hidden in the bathroom earlier.

“We’ve been thinking about the prophecy.” Sirius said in a strained voice.

Snape paled, though neither Sirius or Lupin commented on it or seemed to think it was weird. Harry almost wondered if they didn’t notice it, or if Harry just paid more attention to Snape’s emotions. The two were still unaware of Snape’s part in Voldemort’s knowledge of the prophecy, and despite the summer and how the two had mentioned wanting to hear the truth from Dumbledore, neither of them had actually acted.

Harry wasn’t sure if that was because of his being six, or if Dumbledore had distracted them.

“We need it.” Sirius said. “And I know neither of you are going to be happy with my plan—”

“Is your plan half baked?” Snape asked coldly.

“At least I’m coming up with plans, I haven’t heard anything from you.” Sirius snapped.

Lupin’s hands swung out in a peaceful wave. “We’ve all kept each other in the dark. It may have been cruel, but it was safer in the long run. Owls can be intercepted.”

“He still wants it.” Harry said, feeling distinctly uncomfortable to be discussing the prophecy. “I dream about that hallway at least once a week.”

Lupin nodded. “We know Voldemort wants it. I want us all on the same page though, I want us aware of what each other knows about it.”

Sirius shouted as Snape darted forward and his wand appeared beneath Lupin’s nose.

Harry jerked and tried to shove himself between them, but found Sirius in the way, with his own wand at Snape’s throat.

“What were the first words you said to me after securing the defense position two years ago?” Snape asked silkily.

Lupin tilted his head away from Snape’s wand and his amber eyes hardened.

Harry swallowed back icy worry and wondered if they’d need to start testing each other every time they met. There were too many ways to impersonate people, and Harry knew all too well how successful polyjuice was at passing off others.

“I’m surprised you haven’t found him yet.” Lupin answered.

Snape’s dark eyes narrowed and Harry quickly looked around for floo powder in the event he’d need some, but Snape backed slowly away, as did Sirius.

“While I appreciate the added security, I think it’s a bit belated.” Lupin said as he rubbed his mouth.

“I would’ve known if it weren’t Moony.” Sirius said darkly. “The same can’t be said for others.” He added with a cautious look at Snape.

“You instructed me on how to get down the tunnel to the Shrieking Shack when we were in our fifth year.” Snape as he spun on his heel and stepped closer to Harry. “Will that satisfy your concern for the moment?”

Sirius sniffed and nodded.

“What’s, what do you two know?” Harry asked awkwardly in an attempt to refocus the conversation as the three settled into an odd truce once more.

“Nothing.” Lupin said. “Nothing beyond our guesses.”

“We know Voldemort wants it, we know Dumbledore knows about it and we know roughly where it’s kept.” Sirius clarified. “We think you’ve heard about it as well, Harry, though you may not have known at the time.”

Harry tried to think of every instance he may have heard of the prophecy, or instances where Dumbledore’d spoken around it, just as he had when they’d talked earlier today in his office.

His train of thought slammed to a halt and he turned toward Snape. “He didn’t see,” Harry said confusedly. “I didn’t see him see, I mean, he doesn’t know, he didn’t look at when we were in my mum’s flat—”

He couldn’t guess why Dumbledore hadn’t looked in Lily’s flat when he’d hunted through Harry’s thoughts. It hadn’t been suspicious at the time, as Harry could hardly string a single thought together, but now, it was more than confusing.

“When you had your vision, you mean?” Sirius asked. Harry twisted back towards Sirius. “Dumbledore set a guard on your mind, you couldn't have been possessed. Is that what you mean?”

Harry’s chest eased and he felt rather like laughing.

A hazy memory slipped to the front of his mind, and he could hear Sirius’s warning about Dumbledore’s fallibility. He’d been searching for Voldemort. but hadn’t searched his memories of Lily’s flat because he’d believed Harry was protected from him at the time.

He wasn’t aware they’d gone back a second time either.

Harry giggled despite himself before sobering when the three of them gave him concerned looks.

“No,” Harry said more calmly. He worried if he should be telling Snape’s story and tried to come up with something less damning. “V-Voldemort has let a bit slip, though.”

The temperature in the room cooled and Harry shivered.

He felt suddenly of having caused everyone more trouble than he was worth. He regretted his brief madness and wished he’d just kept silent on the whole topic, rather than laughing. Maybe they thought he was cracked?

The prophecy wasn’t something Harry often laughed about, as every time he thought about it, he panicked.

“If more people are aware of its contents, it is more likely to reach the Dark Lord’s ears.” Snape said softly. “Neither of you are shy about which side of the war you're on, and no one will think twice about keeping you alive for him to question you personally.”

A phantom pain arced through Harry’s spine and his wrists seemed to chafe beneath invisible rope.

Lupin’s eyes sharpened and an oddly ugly expression flickered over his face. If he’d come to a conclusion of his own, Harry wished he’d say it. “You seem confident we’ll squeal.”

Snape’s upper lip nearly curled. “I am aware of the Dark Lord’s methods.”

“We’ll die before he gets anything out of us.” Sirius said. “You know that.”

“You might die regardless.” Snape said with a raised eyebrow.

“Only the person it pertains to can pick it up.” Harry said, hoping to get Lupin’s attention away from Snape. “Bellatrix tried to get it last time and failed.”

“Right.” Sirius said as he turned and paced the short length of the sitting room. “See, I’ve given quite a bit of thought to that.” He waved Lupin’s battered wand at the fireplace, making it a bit warmer. “It’s either we get it first, or he manipulates Harry into getting it. There’s a chance someone else could be in the prophecy as well, but if that’s the case, either Voldemort can’t get ahold of them or doesn’t know of them.”

The soft glow flickered across Sirius’s face and left deep shadows in its wake. Despite Sirius’s penchant for humour and goofing around, Harry could see the determination that’d broken him out of Azkaban and into Hogwarts forming somewhere from within.

He wondered if the Ministry had worked out how Sirius escaped from Azkaban yet?

“Dumbledore knows it too.” Sirius said as he turned back around.

“We can ask him, but he had the chance to tell me earlier and he didn’t.” Harry said. “That was after he realized I wasn’t being possessed too.” Harry fussed with the hem of his jumper.

“Asking first would be the safer route.” Lupin conceded.

“It has to be removed either way.” Sirius said. “Voldemort won’t stop until he has it or it’s destroyed.” He dangled Lupin’s wand in his fingertips. “What did he let slip?” He asked as he turned back toward Harry.

Harry felt an uncomfortable sensation almost as if he were being peered at beneath a microscope. He wasn’t as used to Sirius and Lupin hounding him for answers.

“Just that it mentions a boy born near the end of July.” Harry whispered.

Sirius and Lupin shared a quiet glance.

Harry wondered quite suddenly if his dad had panicked about when Harry would be born? Maybe he’d told Sirius and Lupin about his worries, but never said what the source of his fear had been? The thought of someone worrying and fussing unconditionally over Harry seemed illogical though.

“That would explain his first attack on you.” Lupin said carefully. “What do you think?”

“I think I was born at the end of July.” Harry said in an obvious tone. He couldn’t help feeling a bit defensive about his history, and what followed after. He hadn’t chosen for any of this to happen, and if he had any luck, he’d have been skipped over and someone else could’ve taken up The-Boy-Who-Lived name.

“We need to get back.” Snape said. “It’s late and Harry will be missed if he isn’t back soon.”

Harry glanced at his wrist watch and blanched.

They made short work of saying their goodbyes and Harry was silently thankful that both Lupin and Sirius willingly hugged him despite how Harry’d behaved around them and throughout the last month and a half.

“Keep the Christmas holiday free.” Sirius said as they huddled into the fireplace. “I think we’re going to need to make a break for it around then, but we’ll write to you or find time to meet back up.”

A burst of green fire surrounded them and left Harry choking on ash.
To be continued...
Chapter 13 by WiCeBa
Harry eyed the tall, fuzzy walls around him and tried to guess how long this hallway was.



It seemed to stretch on for ages, though only in one direction.



While he couldn’t quite tell his feet from his hands, he knew he should try reaching out and explore what doors or windows might’ve existed in the narrow space. A piece of him thought he might have better luck trying to find someone and follow them to wherever he needed to go, but despite his hopes, no one seemed willing to give him any directions.



In fact, Harry wasn’t sure he’d ever seen anyone in the long hallway before. He couldn’t say why he felt that, as he’d only just stepped into it a few moments ago and he was sure he’d never been in it before. Perhaps he’d seen photos of it in a book or on the Telly, but he truly didn’t know.



He twisted and thought about going back the way he came, but found the hallway behind him had disappeared at some point.



There wasn’t much to do except move forward.



A faint light brightened at the far end of the hallway and Harry excitedly made his way closer to it. The dull grey walls smoked around him, and felt hardly corporeal compared to moments earlier.



Not that Harry’s tried to touch them, he could smell them well enough from where he was.



They stank of disdain, though Harry didn’t know how he knew that. He swallowed back a fierce wave of bitterness as it rushed through him.



It was certainly some kind of perfume, one Harry knew well, but struggled to guess until he realized it was actually a flower. He could remember having planted something similarly smelling in Aunt Petunia’s flower beds for the neighborhood garden tour one spring, but he couldn’t think of which flower it’d been. He trailed curiously through the smokey walls as he debated and shuddered again as the smell overwhelmed him.



He wasn’t sure why he despised the smell so much. He’d disliked caring for Aunt Petunia’s flowerbeds, but he’d never disliked flowers as a whole.



As it would happen, he rather liked them, given that his mum’s name was Lily. He used to wish Aunt Petunia would bring lilies home for arrangements, but she could hardly bring herself to look at them in the store.



She far preferred daffodils.



Harry neared the steadily brightening light and passed a thick cloud of the perfume. He whirled around and hissed an echoey sound before a shout jolted him upright in bed.



“Harry!” Ron shoved Harry’s bed curtains aside.



Harry clapped a hand against his throbbing scar and blinked one eye open.



Ron’s shoulders flew up to his quickly reddening ears and he whispered a quiet apology. “Just hadn’t seen you come in mate,” He said softly. “Hermione and I went looking for you after you didn’t show up for dinner, it took her a while to come around to what you’d said about Skeeter—”



“Ron,” Harry started as he held a hand up. “Two seconds.” He added before trying to breathe deeply and clear his mind.



“Right, right.” Ron nodded and spun on his heel.



Harry tried to slowly sort through his thoughts and put his mind somewhere more helpful than a bleak grey hallway. He’d had a tremendously stressful day yesterday, and waking up with pain never bode well for him, but he was determined to put it behind him.



He scratched idly at his wrists and tried to think of Germany and the calm, relaxed few weeks they’d spent there.



While he wasn't pleased to be back at Hogwarts, where Dumbledore, Umbridge, Malfoy and the rest of the school waited to torment him, he could say he was pleased to have slept.



Sleep often eluded him when he felt stressed



Ron kicked at Neville’s dirty socks and poked at the spiny cactus-like plant in the pot. The plant twisted in it’s pot and tried to poke Ron back, but wound up nearly splattering him in the same sap that Harry’d been coated in on the train ride at the beginning of term.



The pain in Harry’s scar subsided to something a fair bit more manageable and he found himself wondering again what it was he’d felt so strongly about in his dream.



He still couldn’t think of what the smell was, or which flower it belonged to.



It made less sense when he considered that he’d had dreams on the long hallway for weeks, and this was the first time he’d encountered something other than the grey walls leading to, presumably, a door.



Harry’d had yet to open the door, but he felt that was the only suitable answer for what lay at the end of a hallway.



He shook his head and quickly joined Ron in dressing and getting ready for the day.



“So, like I was saying, Hermione’s come around, though she still feels we have to do something—”



“I know,” Harry said with a grimace. He thought back to yesterday afternoon and wished he hadn’t snapped quite so much at her, as it’d only led to his unsettling use of parseltongue in Snape’s office. “We do, in her defense. I’m not letting Skeeter write anything though.” He said in a firm voice. “I won’t.”



Ron herded him out of the portrait hole and down the several flights of stairs. “I’m not saying we should, it could turn out as rotten as the rest of what she wrote—”



“It will turn out rotten.” Harry said. “She can’t keep herself from writing something sensationalizing.”



“You know Hermione though, she’s got Skeeter on a leash.”



“People don’t generally like being on leashes, Ron.” Harry said uncomfortably. He couldn’t help but be reminded of the way Dumbledore held himself, Snape, Sirius and Lupin, and likely countless others in tight leashes.



They passed a large group of Hufflepuffs and Harry tried to give them a polite smile, but they turned away without a response.



“People on leashes fight back.” Harry said as he wrinkled his nose.



“That’s what the leash is for.” Ron nodded, though he didn’t seem to have come to the same conclusion as Harry. “Keeps her from getting out of hand.”



Harry shook his head and made his way toward Hermione, who had an empty plate and a thick stack of books to her right. He silently tried to compose an apology, and swallowed thickly when he saw most of the books were the ones they’d checked out earlier.



“Hi.” He started awkwardly.



Hermione blinked up at him and coloured faintly as she tugged her stack closer so they could sit down.



Ron didn’t seem aware of any awkwardness, but Harry wondered if that had more to do with how many fights he and his siblings got into, and how often he’d have sat next to them while they’d fought.



“I’m sorry I tried to push you into the article.” Hermione said when Harry neglected to speak. “I know Skeeter treated you horribly, and I should’ve expected that you’d react angrily, but I had to ask.”



Harry nodded and dragged a plate of sausage rolls closer to himself. “I can’t talk with her,” He said before swallowing dryly. There was no way he could consider Skeeter prodding and poking and asking questions. What if she spoke with Malfoy again and learnt about Harry’s summer? What if she spoke with Umbridge and the two conspired to broadcast Harry’s entire life? “She’s vile.”



Hermione gave him a sympathetic sigh.



“But,” Harry started quickly. “But maybe there’s another way we could go,” He said. “We could try something through Ginny’s friend?”



“Lovegood?” Ron asked around a mouthful of bacon. “No one reads her dad’s paper.”



“They’d read it if Harry gave an interview.” Hermione said.



Harry grimaced.



“The only problem is that it won’t reach as many people if Mr Lovegood is the one writing it.” Hermione eyed a folded copy of the Daily Prophet on her right and sniffed. “I’ve been exploring options and I read through a few of his articles in the Quibbler.”



Ron looked upwards and gave her a shocked look.



Hermione rolled her eyes and whispered about exploring all of their options before she sat back. “He tends to drag.”



“That’s kind of you.” Ron said.



“What did you want me to say? That he’s barmy?” Hermione asked. “Or that he writes like a half cracked researcher whose evidence is entirely conjecture?”



“Better not let Loony hear that.” Ron said with a pair of raised eyebrows.



Harry nodded and tossed a careful look toward where Luna often sat, though he thankfully didn’t see her. He wasn’t sure if Luna’s dad truly did write half cracked articles, but Luna seemed to enjoy them.



It wouldn’t help his cause if someone equally cracked wrote an article for him though.



“We can try searching around for other reporters then?” Ron said. “Maybe someone who will do it for free, because of how everyone feels about Harry right now?”



Harry shook his head ‘no’ and shoved a sausage roll in his mouth.



Hermione gritted her teeth and looked equally displeased as she glanced toward the book before her. Harry could almost hear her thoughts. She likely believed it’d be wildly improbable that any reporter would listen to Harry, given the current public opinion.



He hated the thought of speaking to reporters anyway, but he couldn’t just do nothing. He wished someone else had been targeted, rather than him. It reminded him distantly of the way Snape remained in the sitting room with Sirius and Lupin last night, while Harry’d hidden in the bathroom. Snape had tolerated quite a bit for Harry in the last few months.



He might not be pleased to hear of Harry giving an interview.



“Not to change the subject,” Harry started as his eye caught one of the titles in Hermione’s stack. “But I talked with Sirius and Lupin about Umbridge and the ribbons last night.” He said.



“How?” Hermione asked.



“Fire call I’d bet.” Ron said through another mouthful.



“What?” Hermione asked as she turned to Ron.



Ron began to explain a complicated process involving quite a bit of kneeling and floo powder as Harry debated how much to tell them.



He couldn’t decide if he should tell them about his accidental use of parseltongue. There was a chance Hermione might push Harry to ask Dumbledore about it as well, but she’d been far more reserved about requesting his help in the last few months. He thought it might be better to keep quiet about it until absolutely necessary as the thought of scaring them into thinking he was possessed by Voldemort, like Dumbledore’d believed, left him with a foul taste in his mouth.



“That’s curious.” Hermione said with a pinched look. “Why is it always fire?” She asked herself before turning back to Harry and gesturing for him to relay what’d been uncovered about his gagging curse.



“She’s a bloody psychopath!” Ron hissed after Harry finished. He began helping Hermione who’d stood so quickly the table had begun to rock.



She quickly tried to shove her stack of books into her bag, but struggled with her furious pace. They grabbed several of her books and tucked them away in their own bags.



“Who gags a student!?” Ron asked before plucking an apple from it’s bowl and throwing it toward Harry.



“That must go against fifty odd Ministry laws” Hermione added fiercely beneath her breath before waving her wand and whispering a spell to keep her coffee much warm. “The hypocrite! As if she ever cared about rules!”



“The jokes on her—” Ron started as Hermione led them at a quick pace out of the Great Hall.



“It’s just as Ruffles said, that sort of magic leaves evidence,” Hermione added with a firm point toward Harry. “All she’s done is call loud attention toward herself!”



“Hardly just that!” Ron said as they chased Hermione up the stairs. “She’ll go to Azkaban for it!”



“If we can prove she did it.” Harry said darkly. “Ruffles said it’s common for those sorts of crimes to go unpunished.” He tossed a careful look around them as they rushed toward a near empty hallway.



“Well they’d know, wouldn’t they?” Hermione said as she led them into a dusty classroom. “With their background being what it was.”



He wondered idly if she preferred unused classrooms because of the dirty looks Harry received in the library, and thanked her silently for choosing a safer feeling place.



“I dunno,” Ron said as he dropped his heavy bag by the door and whispered a few silencing charms. “They’re on the opposite side of things, I don’t think they’d have much experience with how the Ministry covered—” A look of understanding dawned over his face and he shut his mouth.



Harry didn’t need to ask to know Snape had likely attempted to bring charges against other Ministry employees, only to find out they’d already covered their tracks.



“They’d probably be very knowledgeable about the subject.” Hermione said quietly.



“Ruffles said they wouldn’t get in a fight with Umbridge because they think Umbridge wants their help.” Harry said after remembering the first night he’d turned six. He took a bite of his apple and tried to consider how best to phrase his opinion. “Umbridge thinks that since Ruffles knows Lucius Malfoy, and Malfoy is her friend in the Ministry,” He began as a slow, bubbling anger trickled through him. He struggled to ignore it. “That Ruffles will support whatever she tries to do.”



“Well we’re doubly lucky they’re on our side, either way,” Hermione said before tugging a thick, tattered book from her bag. “Even if they don’t fight her openly, they’ll be a great help at sabotaging her when it comes to it!”



Harry wasn’t sure if he felt quite the same way about Snape. He wasn’t sure how much spying and sabotage a person could do before they were ultimately caught, though Snape hadn’t been found out yet. However, there was quite a difference between sabotaging Umbridge opposed to Voldemort, and Harry couldn’t say if he felt pleased for Snape’s role in either position.



Getting in the Ministry’s way could be deadly, though maybe it’d be less painful than getting Voldemort’s way.



“Regardless, we have a direction to go in now, we might not be able to get rid of it,” Hermione’s eyes flashed to Harry and he wondered if she thought about their conversation on Snape’s inclusion in their research. “But we can stall it. I’m positive.” She said before flipping through the pages until she came to a series of charms.



“There are some minor counter-curses in some of these too,” Ron said as he dug through his own bag of books. “Will they help?”



“I don’t think so.” Harry said as he dropped his apple core in a bin and began to pull books free with Ron. “Curses are more specific, minor counter-curses won’t help the original curse.”



Ron hummed. “What about major counter-curses?”



“Not unless it’s the direct counter.” Harry said. “Because curses generally cause more than one problem.” He sniffed and looked toward Ron and Hermione. “Like,” He paused and tried to find the right way to describe it. “Like if someone casts a body-bind you aren’t sure of, and you try to release them with the counter for ‘ petrificus totalus ’, that won’t release them, because the body-bind your opponent used might be resistant. They have different theoretical properties, because they have different wand movements, theory, incantation and the sort.”



Hermione blinked slowly at Harry before turning the page.



“It might even make it worse.” Harry added uncomfortably. “If your opponent thought you might try to help yourself with that counter.”



“So,” Ron started. “Well, maybe that’s something someone should’ve mentioned before?” He said in a high voice. “That sounds like an accident waiting to happen!”



“Did you learn that from—from Crouch Jr?” Hermione asked weakly.



“From Ruffles.” Harry answered. He thought fondly of the small bubble animals that Snape had made for him on more than one occasion. “Over the summer. They’d make a good defense professor, and Lupin even mentioned that yesterday, but again, I don’t think they’ll openly go against Umbridge.”



“Do you think Umbridge would’ve prepared her curse against charms?” Hermione asked. “In that she may have anticipated them?”



Harry shrugged. “I’m not sure, Lupin thinks she may be skilled in curses alone, but neither Ruffles or Snuffles seemed to agree.”



They sorted through their books for several hours, and nearly missed lunch, though both Harry and Hermione offered to continue studying. It quickly became their obsession, and almost distracted Hermione from her own homework.



Ron soon found a passion for taking walks to the library and returning or checking out new books throughout the day.



It finally felt as if they’d found a bit of control against Umbridge, despite what sort of power she seemed to exude. It reminded Harry oddly of how Ms Eileen spoke about Dumbledore and his need to be in control.



Which only reminded Harry of Snape and his discussion about Voldemort and control. Umbridge appeared to be in control, but it may have been only that.



An appearance.



It was just the same as Harry’s mad escape from Privet Drive over the summer. Dumbledore had appeared to be in absolute control, but Harry’d found that wasn’t actually the case. He had more options than he even knew of, and Dumbledore, while displeased and certainly intent on returning Harry to Surrey, had to agree that Harry would choose instead to stay in Germany.



Lupin had probably been right to bring up Umbridge’s potential skill in curses, or at least any sort of revenge she might enact, if Harry broke free of her curse, but he was now all the more determined to undermine her.



It took them hiding in the classroom for the rest of the day and into the following evening before Hermione finally shouted and slammed her palm onto her book.



Harry and Ron both jerked to look toward her.



Hermione tossed several loose curls over her shoulder and read a paragraph aloud. “Though healers have historically struggled with the range of magical attacks on the pulmonary system,” Her eyes flickered toward Harry and Ron, “Lungs and air and that,” She said after a moment, leading Harry to wonder if they’d both given her confused looks. “Many have found a useful transitory charm for immediate relief.”



Harry stood and rushed to her side to read over the paragraph. A brief tingle of nausea cramped in his stomach, though he ignored just as he had with the rest of them.



What he found upon looking over Hermione’s shoulder was an endlessly complicated looking charm that functioned more through an understanding of anatomy than any basic charm background.



“It looks, erm” Hermione started as she slowly bit her thumb nail. “Difficult. It also states that it isn’t for prolonged results either.”



The three of them each took a turn reading over the spellwork and trying to pick through the description, though none of them were successful. Harry tried to internally remind himself that failing to learn a spell after the first time he tried it, didn’t mean much of anything. He’d practiced ‘Accio’ with Hermione for months before it’d worked for him.



“Difficult or not, we can give it a go.” Ron said. “Maybe we can force Fred and George to help us, or Ruffles even!” His eyes lit up and he looked toward Harry. “You don’t think they’d try it for us, do you?”



Harry felt his own eyes widen as he looked toward Ron. Something perilously warm hummed through his chest at the thought of Ron coming around to Snape, and he wondered if he might become even more welcoming to Snape as time went on.



“I can ask.” Harry said as he looked toward the clock. The tell-tale nausea of his mismade potion had slowly begun to creep in throughout their studying. He now knew better than to eat for several hours before he could take the antidote, as that was the only thing that abated his sicking up in toilets, but it didn’t help with the nausea. He wasn’t sure what the full time limit was before his antidote gave out, but the first time it’d happened, it’d been late in the evening, hadn’t it?



That had more to do with when he’d initial taken the antidote. Snape had said he’d send for Harry around when he’d need to retake, so Harry put the worry from his mind.



Hermione nodded. “It feels odd, doesn’t it?” She said as they picked up their small collection of books. “To be going to a teacher for help again.”



“I can see the appeal,” Ron shrugged. “Iit makes sense in this case, doesn’t it?” He said. “I mean,we might be able to ask Pomfrey, because this charm might be a bit beyond any of us either way.” He stretched his arms upwards and cracked his back in a long movement. “Maybe we could’ve found a seventh year, but even then—”



“I’m sure Pomfrey’d help us if we asked, we’d just need to be careful.” Hermione chimed in.



They made their way through the winding hallways until coming out in a busy corridor. Harry silently sent a thank you to both Ron and Hermione for spending the weekend with him, in a peaceful, safe classroom.



“Really careful.” Ron said.



Harry grimaced at the thought of involving the Hospital Wing in his ribbon problem. He’d briefly thought of what might happen if he’d gone to her when he’d first learnt the extent of Umbridge’s ribbons, but he didn’t fancy being unable to explain his problem. What if Pomfrey thought he’d gone mad?



It may have been worse if she’d believed him. What if she’d opened a case, one which Harry still had no clear evidence in addition to accusing a professor.



Perhaps Umbridge had hoped for that outcome.



“We probably could’ve bugged Snuffles or Lupin too,” Harry said. “They might still know something help—”



“Oi, Ron!” Lee Jordan shouted from far behind them.



Ron twisted and looked curiously over his shoulder. “You don’t think Fred and George have gotten into a fight do you?” He asked. “Lee doesn’t usually look for me.”



Hermione shrugged.



Lee shouted again and struggled to step around the wide swathes of students. Most of the students chattered excitedly as he passed them by, asking about Fred and George’s new products, or upcoming homework, and any number of things he seemed to have in common with them.



Harry half debated just leaving Ron to handle it, given how uncomfortable being around his classmates made him, but Lee reached them before he could slip away.



“Blimey,” He said when he finally closed in on them. His eyes brightened when he spotted Harry and he tugged a small crumpled note from his pocket. “I’ve been looking for you three for a while, I’ve a note for Harry.” He added before passing it over.



Harry briefly worried about how much time Lee had meant by ‘a while’, given that nausea was a poor gauge for how much more time Harry had before he’d turn six. The idea of spending the evening as a child wasn’t broadly appealing, but Snape had ensured Harry understood why his next dosage time was important. He quickly unfolded the parchment and found Snape’s skinny handwriting stating that Harry should meet with him to discuss remedial lessons.



He put on a suitable looking grimace and passed the note to Ron and Hermione who each gave theatrically gloomy sighs.



“Stick with Ron more often,” Lee huffed at Harry and Hermione. “He sticks out in a crowd, you two don’t.” He gave them each a fake disappointed look, before laughing and disappearing back into the crowd.



“You don’t think we should’ve been a bit more present lately, do you?” Hermione asked as she bit her lip. “I worry about the issue with Malfoy, what if we looked guilty?”



“I dunno,” Ron said as he shouldered through several more throngs of students and led them to the Grand Staircase. “Maybe we did, but that makes me wonder how professors find anyone without the map. Do they just assume students will bump into each other?” He asked before muttering about Dumbledore’s eerie innate knowledge of his student's locations.



“Why is Snape giving you remedial lessons, by the way?” Hermione asked.



It took Harry a second to work out that she’d asked why he’d changed their meeting time, and he realized again that he probably ought to tell them what’d happened in Snape’s office. He’d kept Sirius and Lupin in the dark too much lately, but how many people should really know about Harry’s apparent madness?



A blonde girl with a thick plait hissed about Cedric before shoving past the three of them and sending Hermione tripping over her robe and nearly crashing to the ground. Several of her books spilled out before Harry snagged her elbow and helped pull her upright.



“Mr Potter!”



Harry flinched as Umbridge’s girlish voice cut over the crowd. He swallowed back a faint bubble of nausea.



“Bloody hell,” Ron whispered as he and Harry collected Hermione’s books. “That’s just what we need. Slip away or something, maybe see if you can hide with Lee?”



Hermione muttered a foul word beneath her breath and eyed the tear in her robes and frantically searched over shoulder for Lee. Neither Harry nor Hermione could spy him though.



“Well,” Umbridge said with a fussy huff as she caught up to them. She paused and gave Hermione a distasteful side eye after noticing the muggle jeans beneath her robes. “Miss Granger, this school requires pressed robes and a neat uniform when you’re out of your Common Room.”



Hermione gave Umbridge a dull look. “I fell.”



Umbridge stared for a moment before pulling out a thin roll of pale pink parchment and a fluffy quill. “I’m going to give you a warning then, dear, be glad it isn’t a detention.”



“I fell.” Hermione said again in a firm voice. “I didn’t just leave like this!”



Umbridge waved a hand at Hermione’s answer and scribbled a note before passing it over. “Be that as it may, there are spells that will prevent robes from tearing and not revealing quite as much of our inappropriate clothing choices.”



Hermione flushed. “They’re just jeans—”



“Off you go then, you two,” Umbridge said in a clear dismissal. “Mr Potter and I have some—”



“I have to go too, Professor.” Harry said quickly. He held the note up and swallowed back a trickle of worry at the sharp look in Umbridge’s eyes. He was reminded once more of the way she’d crept around her desk in his memory, and even more so of Aragog and the way he crawled atop his nest.



Umbridge’s lips pinched and twisted into her horrible small smile.



“I’ll let him know you’ll be late.” She said before her heels cracked down the stairs and she flicked a finger at Harry, gesturing for him to follow her.



A resounding sense of horror cracked over him as he realized she truly meant to ignore Snape’s note.



“Harry,” Hermione whispered nervously behind him. “We'll, we’ll get erm,” She glanced at Ron who looked equally worried. “We’ll get McGonagall?”



“What if she poisons you again!” Ron hissed nervously.



“Then Ruffles will have something to work with.” Harry hissed back. “I need them though, please.” He added as his stomach slipped into a knot. “I need—”



“Mr Potter, now please.” Umbridge called.



Harry felt an invisible tug on his navel and he lurched forward before nearly tripping down several steps. He twisted over his shoulder and tried to silently mouth the words ‘Avery’ and ‘Potion’, but neither seemed to understand. It wouldn’t make much of a difference why they got Snape anyway, as Snape would hopefully move fast upon hearing Harry might potentially be poisoned again.



The two rushed down the corridor they’d come from, hopefully bent on taking a faster route to Snape. He almost wished Ron would run to the Common Room and get the map, as that was truly the fastest way to find someone.



Harry tripped down several more stairs before catching up and trailing behind Umbridge until they made their way to her office. His mum’s necklace flared to life as Umbridge flicked her wand and unlocked the door.



Hives burst over his skin as he looked around her office, though he tried to act unbothered. Despite the nausea he felt, he tried to keep a constant guard up, and not let her confund him again. Umbridge’s China plates and taffy pink ribbons hadn’t changed and Harry rubbed a hand over his throat as he remembered the last time he’d been in here.



“Now, I’m sure you don’t need me to impress upon you the seriousness of which I’ve brought you to my office today.” Umbridge began as she settled into her chair. She gave Harry a firm look and held her hand out to the same overstuffed pink armchair Harry’d sat in during his first meeting with Umbridge. “Sit.”



“I think I should go to my lesson with Professor Snape.” Harry said again.



“I think you should take a seat,” Umbridge said as her small smile thinned. “Because we have a very serious matter to discuss, as I said.”



Harry’s throat dried up in seconds and he wondered if he might just try to run away. Snape had made it seem as if running away was a reasonable response, though one that should be more calculated than the last spur of the moment decision. He tried to guess at how long it would take Ron and Hermione to get to the dungeons, pull Snape aside and bring him back up to Umbridge’s office.



“Sit.” Umbridge said in an overly sweet voice. “When a seat is offered, Mr Potter, we sit.”



Harry’s legs felt as if they’d been made of wood, though he forced himself to walk closer and sit on the edge of the seat.



“Now, would you like to tell me your side of the story first?” She asked before tilting her horrible small smile at him once more and folding her hands atop her desk. “Do try to remember what I told you on your first night of term, I want you to feel comfortable around me.”



“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Harry said. He truly didn’t know, how could he? She’d given him no background into what she was talking about, and if she wanted for Harry to tell her every ‘bad’ thing he’d done then she ought to have tried a little harder. Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had loved to ask Harry to explain himself before they told him why he was in trouble, they were able to add anything they’d missed to their list of crimes against him while he willingly confessed. That trick had stopped working around Harry’s fifth birthday, though they still tried it every now and then.



“Come now,” Umbridge said sweetly. “There’s no sense in denying it, there were several witnesses.” She added before pulling a few rolls of parchment from a pile on her desk. “You cursed Mr Malfoy.”



Harry blinked stupidly for a moment and tried to guess at why Umbridge would be the one to question him on Malfoy, and not Snape or McGonagall.



Even Dumbledore would have made more sense than Umbridge.



She set the parchment aside and folded her hands once more. “Do you admit to it?”



Harry couldn’t think of what Snape or Ms Eileen would do in this instance, nor could he seem to push past his fear of being gagged, poisoned or otherwise hurt by Umbridge. He couldn’t tell if the nausea building through him related more to his fear or his mismade potion, and he wished for the first time that he kept the antidote on hand, rather than in his trunk, where he could easily take it in the morning, or in Snape’s Chambers. He despised himself for having left the antidote there this morning.



“I didn’t cast anything.” Harry said. Neither Snape nor Dumbledore knew where the spell came from, and frankly, that alarmed Harry more.



Umbridge gave him a flat look, though her smile remained taught. “I should think that if you’re trying out secret curses, ones that are of a significantly darker nature than those found in Hogwarts library books, you’d have utilized your resources sooner.”



Harry shook his head ‘no’ and immediately regretted it, as the room spun into a blurry mess of pink. An unsettling worry sprang over him, and he dreaded again how long Lee had meant when he’d said ‘a while’. He hadn’t kept track of his potion since he’d been forcibly transfigured by Dumbledore two days ago. It was the weekend and he’d had a plan to visit Snape.



He’d let it go too long.



“I am a resource, Mr Potter.” Umbridge said in a whisper. “I am your professor, much as you seem to dislike it. I am here to help regulate your defense education, for your benefit.”



A faint burning began to grow in Harry’s chest when he realized that she’d cornered him because of what Snape had brought up several days ago. She worried someone was teaching them defensive magic and was raising her ridiculous student army. She probably thought he’d learnt a dark curse for the fun of it and wanted to try it out on the first person he hated.



“I didn’t curse anyone.” Harry said through his climbing nausea. How long had the two of them been in her office for? Had it been long enough to expect Snape to come through the door?



“Do you know, I knew you’d be trouble,” Umbridge said with an overly sweet laugh. “Ever since the beginning of the term, when I graciously opened my door to you, and yet, here you are, cursing innocent students—”



“Not all of us curse people to prove a point.” Harry snapped.



Umbridge’s face soured and twisted into a foul look as her brown eyes darkened. The taffy pink bow on her head was almost too bright to look at, and Harry struggled to keep his eyes on open and cautious, for fear of Umbridge doing something terrible the moment he looked away.



“I beg your pardon, Mr Potter?” She asked after a moment. Her eyes brightened as if she’d won something as she looked down at Harry, despite being shorter than him. “That’s a serious accusation, one I would intend to see through personally.”



Harry swallowed heavily and shuddered as it came back up.



“If you believe yourself, or someone else has been cursed, as your defense professor, I would expect you to inform me.” She said with a pointed finger at Harry. “Anything less would be reckless, Mr Potter, though that wouldn’t be the first time we’ve experienced recklessness from you before, would it?”



Sweat dripped down Harry’s back and he wished desperately for Snape or anyone to throw the door open and help him.



“I feel sick.” Harry said as his nerves raced over his skin. “May I be excused until tomorrow?”



“So you can confer with whomever it was who taught you the curse, certainly not.” Umbridge said with an unkind laugh. “Goodness, I shall have to impart upon you the severity with which I’m speaking today, you, Mr Potter—”



Harry shook his head again before remembering that it was a dreadful idea.The room rocked and he sicked up on the floor before he could stop himself.



“Mr Potter!” Umbridge blanched and her coiffed hair fell into her eyes as she flinched backwards.



“I’m sick, professor,” Harry said thickly. He flicked his wand and cast a scouring charm. A bitter, but pleased feeling trickled through him at the thought of ruining the floor in her office. He needed to leave quickly though, or else Umbridge would find out everything and Harry'd be in far worse trouble for it. “I don’t feel well, I—”



“You were sick last time as well, Mr Potter,” Umbridge said in an overly caring voice. “Perhaps you are sick to your stomach because you know deep down that you’re actually guilty.” She said. “Guilty of lying to the public for attention, guilty of cursing your classmates when they rightfully don’t believe you, and guilty of lying to me.”



“I’m not!” Harry half shouted. His mouth watered again and he dreaded how much longer Umbridge would keep him.



An oddly muffled sound echoed from somewhere around the room and Harry blinked at the sound. He scratched at his knuckles and couldn’t help but worry that the sound was actually muffled buzzing, like he’d heard in his memory and his first experience in Umbridge’s office had returned.



“Professor,” Harry started thickly. “I really am sick and I don’t feel well.” He inhaled slowly and tried to soothe his pounding heart. An uncomfortably thick feeling came over him, and he tried to push past it to continue speaking, but found his voice slipping higher around him. The only time Harry’d been awake during his transformation in age had been when Snape gave him the antidote, and Harry remembered it well enough to recognize the feeling again.



He flicked his wand and tried to shrink his clothes in the same way Snape had done in Dumbledore’s office, and he mildly succeeded, though he found they were all far too large and baggy.



Terror engulfed him and Harry shuddered beneath the weight of it as Umbridge’s eyes widened.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! If you enjoyed it, please leave a comment below if you did!
This has been coming for.... an unlucky 13 chapters. But hey! We're finally here. I really hope you guys enjoyed it. d84; I live in terror of doing a bad job with this fic.
Chapter 14 by WiCeBa
Author's Notes:
TW: Brief depiction of child abuse.
Umbridge blinked slowly at Harry as confusion rippled over her face.

Harry’s heart pounded in his chest and the full weight of their meeting slammed into him.

How would his secret stay quiet? Could it stay quiet? Would Snape know what to do? Was Snape coming? Would Snape ruin his cover by openly helping Harry?

If he did, would Umbridge tell Lucius Malfoy about Snape helping him?

Would Voldemort use it to hurt Snape?

He tried to remember to breathe, but his throat tightened and he found himself struggling to inhale.

The nausea he’d been fighting through moments before settled into a dull ache.

“This—” Umbridge began, before pausing as confusion swept over her once more.

The muffled sound echoed once more, and Harry briefly thought to find the source, but he couldn’t tear his eyes away from Umbridge. He wasn’t sure what happened to stall her so severely, as magical accidents like Harry’s weren’t so strange. Snape had pointed that out more than once.

Everyone went through something horrible at least once, it was impossible to get through life otherwise.

“This was not in your student file, Mr Potter.” She said, trying for her usual syrupy sweetness, though she didn’t quite succeed.

Harry silently cursed himself for not running away. He should’ve run. He should’ve run and taken his chances transforming in a cupboard or toilet.

He couldn't have run.

If he’d run, she’d just summon him again and be even angrier with him than she was now. He knew that well enough from having grown up with Aunt Petunia.

Umbridge’s eyes flickered over her desk before something angry began smoking behind them. Harry couldn’t guess what she thought, only that he’d seen a similar expression on Uncle Vernon’s face, often after receiving notes from Harry’s primary school.

At the time, Harry didn’t know it had been accidental magic, he couldn’t have known he’d been the cause.

Humiliation and fear curled through him. He knew Umbridge couldn’t put him in a cupboard, or keep food from him, but he couldn’t ignore the overwhelming belief that she would.

She’d already cursed him and Lupin’s guesses about what else she might do were only frightening him more.

He wanted Snape.

“Well,” Umbridge said, having regained some semblance of control. “How long has this—” She flicked her hand at him. “Been going on?”

Harry outright refused to freely offer any information to Umbridge.

“It is my duty to ensure the safety of students, Mr Potter,” She said in a self important tone. “Is this a prank? A joke?” She asked. “Were you at your aunt’s house when this occurred?”

The yowling China cats cried from along the walls and nearly distracted Harry from Umbridge’s line of questioning.

“Why are you so curious about my aunt?” Harry asked.

He couldn’t figure out how to question her without letting slip how little he was aware of. Aunt Petunia still hadn’t mentioned if Umbridge or anyone else from the Ministry had knocked in her door.

“I am trying to ensure you are safe, dear boy.” Umbridge said. “Is this Dumbledore’s doing? Did he curse you?”

Harry blanched and wondered if she’d do anything to drag Dumbledore’s character through the mud. It didn’t bother him if she wanted to, but he refused to provide any willing part, especially if it came back to hurt him or the people he cared about.

“Dumbledore didn’t curse me,” Harry snapped. “You did.”

Umbridge’s eyes narrowed and she sat back.

“Well,” She started. “This explains a few things then, doesn’t it?” She said, phrasing it like a question, despite voicing it as if it were damning. “Your obsessive need for attention, lying, starting fights—”

“I’m not a liar!” Harry said fiercely.

He couldn’t find his earlier confidence. He knew Umbridge was only a figurehead, and a poor one at that. He’d come to the conclusion earlier. Something about her office sent his thoughts flying out of his ears though, and he couldn’t make his heart sit still, nor could he force his lungs open long enough to breathe.

Lupin’s warning whispered in his ears, frightening him once more.

“Not a liar?” Umbridge parroted with a strained laugh. “What would you call all that business in spring!? You lost your tournament and a student was killed—”

“I told the truth!” Harry shrieked. “You’re letting a murdering psychopath run free!”

Ribbons slipped over his lips, though they didn’t constrict.

Umbridge’s lips pinched in a hard painted pink line. “You repugnant thing!” She said with a sneer.

A thick lump crept up Harry’s throat, though he tried to shove it down. The word ‘repugnant’ sank through his thoughts in a bitter, uncomfortable way.

Harry was not repugnant. Umbridge was repugnant. Her opinions weren’t true, no matter how they made Harry feel. They were just a symptom of her having lost control, which Harry knew well, as she behaved nearly the same way Dumbledore had when he lost control.

Although Dumbledore was quicker to cover it up.

“You,” Umbridge hissed as she jabbed a finger at him. “Have done nothing but start trouble!” She shoved her chair away and stood before storming around her desk. “You are clearly in need of more help than even the Minister believed,” She said. “Children often are, despite what some may believe—”

Harry shrank backwards against his chair and wrenched his wand free.

Umbridge froze a step from Harry. She loomed over his chair, despite how short Harry knew she was.

There was something innately strange about how she acted, though Harry couldn’t guess what was wrong. He didn’t know if he could stupefy her, like he had Avery, seeing as she could make his life infinitely worse through the Ministry.

He still didn’t know how she knew about his time away from Privet Drive, what if the Ministry had launched an investigation?

What if they figured out Harry’d been in Germany?

Would they publish Snape’s actions all through the Daily Prophet?

His wand wobbled in his sweaty palms and the odd feeling he’d had when she’d called him repugnant filtered through him once more.

“Are you going to curse me, Harry Potter?” Umbridge asked. Her painted smile stretched uncomfortably wide. Harry was sure human beings couldn’t stretch their mouths like that.

He shuddered and held his wand higher. “Stay away.” He whispered as his heart dropped into his stomach.

“What will you do, if I come closer though?” She asked, as her heels dragged over the worn wooden floor. “Do you know, children can never quite tell when they’re being helped.” She said as her heels scraped over the floor again. “They’re too young to understand that repercussions are for their benefit.”

Harry heard something rattle to his right.

The yowling China cats cried a hair louder, covering up the muffled sound that’d echoed earlier.

Umbridge reached blindly toward her desk and snatched up a fluffy pink quill, which shivered and transformed into a thin ruler moments later. Her thumb pressed over the edge as she clenched it between her fingers.

“I think,” Umbridge began sweetly. “That you and I struggle to communicate, don’t we?” She asked.

Harry swallowed around his dry throat and tilted his wand higher.

“I was under the impression you could be held in line by a firm understanding of the rules.” Umbridge said as pointed the ruler at him. “You knew better than to bring up You-Know-Who, and yet, you consistently—”

“Because the Ministry—”

The ruler cracked over the desk and sent a sharp thrill of fear up Harry’s spine.

“When adults speak, children don’t.” Umbridge whispered with a sharp look. “As I said, you have yet to grasp the concept of self monitoring.” She said with a syrupy sweet giggle. “I gave you the chance, and I should’ve known you’d misuse my offer to listen, and to help you—”

“You didn’t offer me anything!” Harry said. “You—”

Umbridge darted forward and her fingers locked around Harry’s wrist in a painfully tight grip.

Harry shouted and fired a stunner at her, but it missed as Umbridge wrenched him from the chair. He tried to tug himself free, but she was too big to shove off, no matter how he kicked or pulled.

“Let me go!” Harry screamed.

Umbridge pulled him around the desk and held his right hand out flat against the table top. “I have offered you every chance to avoid this, Mr Potter. I understand now that I should have been more up front about this, you see, other schools are aware that this sort of deterrent is necessary.”

Harry cast a stinging hex and hopeful bitterness wound through him as Umbridge jerked her hand away.

“You rotten—” The ruler cracked over Harry’s knuckles with a sharp sound.

Sudden pain split over his hand and a fierce loathing flooded Harry.

He shoved an over large trainer on the side of the desk and began trying to leverage himself free when the door cracked and burst open.

Umbridge spun clumsily on her heel and slipped backwards, taking Harry with her.

They fell and landed hard on the floor in a tangle of limbs. Harry tried to climb to his feet and escape, but his shoes were too large for his feet, and he hardly made it a step before being swept upwards in a nauseating whirl of colour.

His clothes gave a quick shiver around him and shrank to a neat fit.

“Dolores,” Dumbledore’s cold voice echoed from above Harry. “It’s against Hogwarts policy to lock the door when a student is present.” Footsteps shuffled around the room. “I’m afraid your lock may be difficult to utilize in the future, though that may be to your benefit. Similarly, we do not block the floo, when a student is present.”

The pendant on Harry’s necklace warmed quickly.

He shuddered and nearly sobbed when he realized Dumbledore, rather than Snape, had come to get him. Dumbledore’s thin hands were loose around Harry’s rib cage, but where Snape normally cuddled him close, Dumbledore seemed well aware that Harry’d be sick if he were anywhere near the old man’s beard.

He didn’t want to be near Dumbledore at all, in fact, he would rather never see Dumbledore again.

He wanted Snape.

His hand hurt, and his stomach ached. At that very moment, he’d have broken down sobbing if Umbridge weren’t in the room.

“Likewise Dolores,” Dumbledore said as his voice hardened and Harry found himself slowly being lowered to the floor. “We do not use corporal punishment.”

Harry spied his wand and darted away from Dumbledore before snatching it quickly.

He twisted and spied the open doorway, as well as the mangled lock. He wondered if that’d been the muffled sound he heard while he and Umbridge spoke.

“I’m sure you’ll find, Albus,” Umbridge began as she pushed back a loose curl from her forehead. “That corporal punishment has not, in fact been made illegal in private schools.”

“Unless the school has declared otherwise.” Dumbledore said as his fingers trailed down Harry’s arm, barely touching him until he came to his hand. “And Hogwarts has.” He said as he gave a close look at Harry’s knuckles. “Separately, is the matter of Mr Potter’s present condition.”

“I quite agree, Albus.” Umbridge said as she folded her hands before her middle. “If I am unaware of a severe impediment, how am I meant to educate—”

“You were not made aware of it because it does not impede Mr Potter’s education.” Dumbledore said before stepping closer to Umbridge’s small fireplace. “I trust you understand how a school functions, in regards to it’s underaged student’s medical records.” He said as he found a small taffy pink jar. “Severus?” He called after tossing a handful of powder into the floo.

“The floo is clear.” Snape’s disembodied voice echoed from within the bright green fire.

Harry jolted at the sound and wished desperately that Snape had come through the floo and collected Harry himself, even though Harry could just as easily use it alone.

“Mr Potter,” Dumbledore held a thin hand toward the fireplace and gestured for Harry to climb in. “Professor Snape will assist you further. I shall handle this, for now.”

“I should think not, Albus,” Umbridge said with a sharp look. “The Minister sent me here for a reason, one which I now see is far more dire than he initially assumed.”

Harry trembled and swallowed back tears as he tried to focus on the conversation around him. A piece of him felt there should be a louder reaction to Umbridge’s actions, but he wondered if that was illogical to hope for.

Dumbledore had already shown that he would sacrifice Harry’s health for his safety.

Harry despised him for having come to his rescue, and wanted nothing more than to shout at him for everything he’d done lately.

He also wanted Umbridge to hurt.

The odd feeling fluttered in his chest again and he looked over his sore knuckles with a curious sense of detachment. He remembered seeing them like this before, but he also couldn’t remember it.

Aunt Petunia preferred to lock Harry in his cupboard, rather than hit him.

None of his primary school teachers had hit him with a ruler either, or at least, Harry couldn’t remember it ever happening. He remembered them saying they’d have liked to, as they said it more than once, but they’d also always said it was illegal.

Something brushed over Harry’s hand and he flinched backwards as a strong sense of bitterness flooded through him. He wanted them all gone, but he also didn’t.

He wanted Snape, but he also wanted Snape to stay away.

“Harry?” Dumbledore’s distant voice was followed by sharp blue eyes drilling into his.

The sounds around the room quickly grew in volume and Harry found Dumbledore’s hand within reach. The mask Harry’d grown used to searching for appeared hard as rock now, and Harry couldn’t spy any sign of whoever lived beneath.

Harry snatched his hand back and eyed the path to the fireplace. Umbridge was too close to it for him to feel any semblance of comfort, and he debated asking for her to leave, though he knew better than to assume she’d listen.

“Sometimes soon, Potter.” Umbridge said with a displeased sniff. “Our conversation is not finished, by the way, we will continue it.”

“On the contrary, Dolores.” Dumbledore said as he backed away from Harry. “If you wish to speak with Mr Potter again, I expect his head of house to be present.”

Umbridge gave a high, strained laugh. “I think you’ll find that by the Minister’s approval, I am permitted to speak with any student I believe you’ve secretly begun to educate.” Her eyes raked over Harry. “Or secretly harmed.”

“Request a hearing.” Dumbledore said as he knit his hands lazily together. “I will not disagree nor attempt to stop you. I have neither harmed nor given Mr Potter any form of special education, the same can be said for the remaining student body.” Dumbledore began to make a slow journey toward the floo. He managed to slot himself neatly between Umbridge and Harry, almost as if he knew Harry’d been too frightened to come close while she stood there.

Harry slowly began to inch forward.

“Don’t think I won’t!” Umbridge said with a bright chirp. “You forget, I have evidence!”

Harry swallowed around his dry throat and wondered if he’d broken into too many pieces. He couldn’t tell his head from his toes, nor could he guess at what was going on. He wanted to go back in time, and to ignore everything that’d happened since Germany.

“Dolores, consider something with me, for a moment.”

Harry wondered if he was inconsequential and easily forgotten, or if they were making a conscious effort to ignore him while he wrestled with his fear of coming too close to Umbridge.

“The Ministry ruled Cedric Diggory’s death to be inconclusive.” Dumbledore said.

“It was an accident, Albus. A tragic, once in a lifetime accident.” Umbridge’s painted lips curled downwards as her voice dripped with overt sadness.

Harry couldn’t help but wonder if she’d told Mr Diggory the same thing in the same voice.

He couldn’t imagine anyone appreciating it.

“Yet no one seems to know how the accident happened.” Dumbledore twisted to look at Umbridge before slowly making his way nearer to Harry, though Harry no longer could tell if it was to help him toward the floo or not. “What happened according to the Ministry?”

“An accident—”

“They believe a portkey murdered an otherwise healthy seventeen year?”

Umbridge blinked at Dumbledore.

“Do they believe his heart gave out after winning? That would be illogical, as I said, he was healthy.”

“The official Ministry stance is that Mr Diggory’s death was a tragic accident.” Umbridge said with a slow inhale. “The accounts surrounding it were rife with delusion.” Umbridge said as she pointed at Harry. “The best investigators in our government looked into the event and ruled it an accident.”

Dumbledore hummed. “It’s strange that Mr Diggory’s death is so easily written off, given the circumstances.”

Harry wondered how long Dumbledore had spent arguing with Umbridge in the past, because it didn’t feel as if either of them cared what the other said.

His knuckles throbbed and he thought of how often he’d hidden in his cupboard after Dudley’d hit him, and how little anyone had cared about his pain then as well. Dumbledore hadn’t attempted to help him when he’d seen his black eye over the summer, he’d been quicker to use it against Harry and Snape. Maybe this was a similar instance, where once more, Harry’d been hurt and Dumbledore thought it was more helpful to use it than to help Harry.

“The Dark Mark was sighted, just over a graveyard the very same night, wasn’t it?” Dumbledore asked.

“Dreadful business, as the Minister has openly acknowledged in a statement, but we have seen similar copycats before.”

“A dead boy, and the Dark Mark, together?” Dumbledore said. “And no one ever found Voldemort’s body, did they?” He asked in a curious voice.

Umbridge’s eyes narrowed and she seemed to debate Dumbledore’s comment, though Harry wondered if that were actually true. She didn’t strike him as the sort of person who actually listened when others spoke.

“Dolores,” Dumbledore started before turning to look at Umbridge. “Do you think that after you present your evidence, the court will find me guilty?”

Harry paused his nervous movement.

“When they have the full grasp of the measure.”

“Do you think they’ll send me to Azkaban?” Dumbledore asked.

“They very well might, you’ve caused mass hysteria, Albus.” Umbridge said as she flung her hands wide. “You’ve created a delusional panic in our society, and for what?”

“Caution, Dolores, is never delusional.”

“You-Know-Who is dead!” Umbridge half shouted. “He is dead, Albus. He has been dead for years!”

The ribbons whispered over Harry’s lips.

“Say you succeed—”

“I have no doubt I’ll succeed.”

“Now, I am in Azkaban.” Dumbledore said. “And you, Dolores, where are you?”

Umbridge sniffed. “Beside the Minister, I won’t be led into—”

“I should think you would aim a little higher, if your successes remove me from your troubles.”

Harry tiptoed closer to the floo once more, feeling weightless and lost. He wasn’t sure if he wanted Snape anymore, or if he wanted his cupboard now. A soft, quiet voice whispered for Snape, and Harry, was too off foot to ignore it.

He couldn’t help feeling forgotten.

His knuckles throbbed again and he’d been more frightened in the last hour than in days. He wasn’t sure why he expected for either of them to have cared, but somehow he had.

His heart clenched and he tried silently explaining to himself that the few people Harry trusted were worth more than Dumbledore.

“I’ll have your school then.” Umbridge said. Her perfect coif bounced as she nodded. “I will become acting Headmistress in Hogwarts. It will be a sweeping Ministry success.” She added as she waved her arm wide.

Dumbledore nodded. “Now, say that Voldemort is alive.” He said.

“You’re beginning to believe your own lie, Albus.” Umbridge said in a kind voice. She stepped closer and laid a hand on Dumbledore’s forearm. “You’ve been bought, by your own delusion.” She gave a sweet sounding giggle.

“If you are acting Headmistress, and I am in Azkaban, what will Voldemort think?” Dumbledore asked as he lay his own hand over hers. “Will he come to duel me in Azkaban, a prison he has no interest in, or will he come here, to a school, one he’s claimed more than once to value?”

Umbridge blinked and a flat look appeared behind her eyes. She tried to tug her hand free but Dumbledore kept hold of her.

“What will you do, against him?” Dumbledore asked.

“He’s dead!” Umbridge hissed through her teeth.

“Are you so sure?” Dumbledore asked softly. “Are you positive, Dolores? Would you willingly place yourself directly in his path?”

Unbridge tore her hand free and stormed around the side of her desk.

“I would be very careful,” Dumbledore said as he slowly put himself between Harry and Umbridge once more. “About where you intend to be, should he turn up alive.”

Umbridge threw open a drawer on her desk and snatched a roll of parchment. “I do not doubt the Minister, Albus!” She shouted before presenting a neat looking document. “He has stated, officially, that You-Know-Who is dead.”

Harry stepped into the floo and worried for a brief second about coming out the wrong fireplace, but Dumbledore flicked his hand and Harry jerked as he was spun into a blur of bright green fire.

A rush of fire thundered through his ears and he tumbled out onto the hearth before being helped to his feet.

At once Harry felt the urge scream and cry, though he couldn’t sort out which to do first.

Snape brushed the ash and soot free from Harry’s uniform as Harry tried to search around the office for familiar and comforting things. He idly noted the cabinets and stacks of parchment that were ever present, but he also caught sight of glass littering the floor beneath one of the cabinets.

The more he looked at it the more it looked as if someone had thrown something, or many things, given how much glass there was.

He wondered where Ron and Hermione were, and if they’d run to get Snape or Dumbledore. He hadn’t told them about Dumbledore’s search through his mind, but he thought they were as wary of the man as Harry was.

“Dumbledore will ensure Umbridge does not use this against you.” Snape said in a soft voice. Harry looked up at him and shuddered through another confusing rush of anger, fear and hate. “He has sworn to resolve the matter surrounding your age.” He continued, before slowly sinking down to his knees. “And if he doesn’t, I will.”

Harry sniffled and rubbed at his knuckles. He tried to imagine how Dumbledore could be of any use, given how he’d handled the last few disasters in Harry’s life.

Snape’s promise gave him far more confidence.

He looked up and watched as Snape’s eyes narrowed on Harry’s hand. A dull memory flickered through Harry, and he thought of when Dudley’d punched him over the summer.

Sirius had been prepared to kill afterwards, but Harry’d been terrified of that reaction.

Even now, a frightened voice whispered about Snape being angry with Harry for having been hit. He might be angry with Harry for not fighting back hard enough as well, despite how he’d tried.

A foul, angry look pinched in Snape’s eyes for less than a second. If Harry hadn’t been so used to seeing it before their relationship had changed, he doubted he’d have noticed it.

He hadn’t imagined Umbridge would hit him. He knew he should’ve prepared for that eventuality, but he honestly hadn’t.

Now he wanted her to hurt.

An uncomfortable, thick feeling began to circle tightly around his head. He struggled to focus on Snape, but no matter how he tried, he found himself distracted by strange inconsistencies. He couldn’t understand why he was so sure he’d been hit with a ruler before.

It’d never happened, but then, it’d happened multiple times.

A sharp, acrid taste bled into Harry’s mouth.

“Harry?”

He wanted her to hurt, badly. He’d rip her hands from her wrists and leave her writhing on the ground when he saw her next.

She’d called him ‘repugnant’.

It reminded Harry of the smell he’d found in his dream, though he still couldn’t name the flower.

Harry flinched as a finger trailed slowly up his nose. In a distant, odd way, he knew this calmed him down, but Harry wasn’t sure why.

No one had ever tried to calm him down like this.

That wasn’t quite right though, Snape used this trick often.

A cooling sensation swept over his knuckles and Harry struggled to place himself back in his body and see what’d happened, but he couldn’t find his hands anymore. He worried for a brief second that he had transformed into a snake, but that couldn’t be right. Snape wouldn’t be rubbing his nose if he was a snake.

He wouldn’t have a nose if he was a snake.

“I want her to hurt.” Harry whispered after a moment.

“Do you want to hurt her?” Snape asked in a foggy voice.

Harry did and he did not. The part of him that was angry, angrier than Harry had ever been in his life, wanted to.

“I want her to hurt.” Harry said again. “I want her to hurt.”

The room danced before his eyes and he could no longer find the glass that’d littered the floor, or the cabinets, nor Snape.

“Because she hurt you?”

The fogginess flickered for a moment at the question and didn’t seem to know how to react.

Harry felt confident Snape would help him, though he didn’t know how to explain that to the blurry feeling. If anything, the confusion he felt only doubled, but it didn’t push Harry toward any murderous thoughts.

“She’s like the rest.” Harry said as an old pain lanced through his heart.

Umbridge felt she was better than him, she didn’t understand. She didn’t understand who Harry was or how small she was in comparison.

“How so?” Snape asked in a quiet cautious voice.

Harry had never felt the need to explain his innate worth. Either others would understand and kneel willingly, or they would die and provide a red carpet for him to walk on.

Umbridge would learn, just as the rest had.

“How is she like the rest, Harry?”

Harry blinked at the name, but struggled to guess why it felt so odd coming out of Snape’s mouth. He tried to rationalize it by reminding himself how Snape stopped calling him ‘Potter’ ages ago, but that wasn’t quite right. It wasn’t the name ‘Potter’ or ‘Harry’ that sat so wrongly with him.

The right name eluded him though.

“She thinks she’s better than me.” Harry said slowly, struggling to find the right words.

“She’s wrong.” Snape said. “Few people are worse than Dolores Umbridge.”

Harry nodded slowly, and the foggy feeling thinned around his head. It was difficult to guess why it appeared or why it left, and Harry couldn’t tell if it calmed because of what Snape said or from the increased distance from Umbridge and Dumbledore.

Snape’s office flickered into being in the corners of his eyes and Harry found himself wondering about the broken glass once more.

“Did you throw something?”

Snape’s finger disappeared and his eyes strayed from Harry as he looked at the glass. “The Headmaster and I had a disagreement.”

“Oh,” Harry said dully. He couldn’t tell if he’d retreated back into the foggy place, as everything was tinted with confusion and detachment. “Did you win?”

“No.” Snape said as he trailed a cautious thumb over Harry’s knuckles.

Harry blinked down after realizing his hand no longer hurt. Snape must’ve fixed it. Aside from a bit of discoloration, Harry couldn’t see where Umbridge had hit him.

“Do you still want to hurt her?” Snape asked.

The question sank through Harry’s thoughts and fell pleasantly with the foggy feeling, though Harry found the idea gruesome. He hated Umbridge, now more than ever, and he did want revenge, but he wasn’t sure what form it’d take. The way Bellatrix Lestrange’s head had snapped backwards during one of his visions appeared in his thoughts, and the fogginess seemed to relish the idea.

Harry only found himself more nauseous by it though.

“I—” Harry started as he thought of what’d occurred moments ago. “I wanted to rip her apart.”

Snape’s face was drained of colour, which Harry hadn’t quite noticed before. “And now?”

Harry couldn’t be sure now. A portion of him still eagerly entertained the idea, though he couldn’t see himself actually acting on it. The mental image alone threw him into a spin.

A soft hiss echoed in his ears, whispering a jumble of sounds that Harry had no luck separating.

He sniffled against the sound and pushed down a shudder. “I can’t tell,” Harry said as he slowly fought through the fog. “I can’t tell what’s going on.”

Snape flicked his wand and Harry felt a chilly burst of air settle around him.

“I think-I mean, I know I’ve been hit with a ruler before.” Harry said as his knuckles gave a phantom twinge. “But I haven’t.” He looked up at Snape and swallowed a whinge at his own confusion.

“Repressing painful memories isn’t unheard of,” Snape said. “It wouldn’t be out of the ordinary for you to have a blurry memory of the event.”

“No,” Harry said as he shook his head fiercely. “They’re not mine.”

Snape’s fingers twitched.

“The memories, I mean.” Harry said, glad to feel an ounce of surety through the roiling mass of confusion. “I know them though.”

He tossed a nervous look at Snape and almost wished he hadn’t. Snape rarely let any form of alarm slip across his face, but at the moment, Harry saw the same look that’d pinched in his eyes when he’d saved Harry from Avery.

Instinctively, he reached upwards for Snape.

Whether he needed comfort due to the sudden realization in the meaning of what he’d said, or if he wanted to force the terrifying expression from Snape’s face, he couldn’t decide.

The two bled together, and only made Harry even more aware of the difference between himself and the uncomfortable anger.

Snape tucked him against his chest and stood before carefully picking his way around the glass.

“I think,” Harry started, internally trying to catch the soft, smoke-like anger circling him. “I think they’re, erm—”

Snape shook his head and pressed a long finger to his lips. He slipped out of a thin doorway and stalked down a narrow, dank hallway. A brief shock of fear burst through Harry before he realized that there were no portraits along the walls, nor were there lights or students.

It was likely a secret passageway. Harry wondered if it was on the Marauders Map or not.

He’d be surprised if his dad had been sneaking around secret passageways near the Potion’s office, then again, that may be reason enough to sneak around it.

“Anyone could’ve walked into my office.” Snape said as he slipped through a short doorway and came out into a hallway in his chambers. Harry belatedly recognized the tufted couch and Ms Eileen’s knit blanket. “I would rather you not be interrupted.” He added as he snatched the blanket and made for his desk chair.

Snape dropped into his chair and wrapped the blanket tightly around Harry.

Harry searched for the books they’d collected from Sirius’s library, and he belatedly wondered if Snape would be angry with Harry for having stolen it.

He wondered now if he’d stolen because the anger in him had wanted it.

“Occlude with me.” Snape said.

Harry wasn’t sure he should occlude, as the anger in him was stark and easy to separate at the moment. It was almost impossible to imagine why he’d been confused in the first place.

The opportunity to interact with it was too great to pass up.

“But what if it leaves?” Harry asked. “You talked with it, you should try talking with it again.”

Snape shook his head. “Not until I know more.” He said. “I cannot,” He shook his head again and tightened his grip on Harry. “I need to know you’ll be safe before we consider interacting with that.”

“You already made it go away once.” Harry said. “You could make it go away again.”

The foggy feeling tightened around his head again, though it loosened seconds later.

“Please, try to occlude with me, Harry.” Snape asked, as he tucked Harry’s head beneath his chin. “Please.”

Harry swallowed heavily and nodded.
To be continued...
End Notes:
I’m so tremendously sorry for having missed a week! 🖤 Finals hit, but now with summer here, my update schedule will be stable again.

Thank you so so very much for reading, I truly hope you enjoyed it, please leave a comment below if you did.
Chapter 15 by WiCeBa
“Close your eyes, please.” Snape said with a careful calmness.

“But after, can you try talking with—”

“No.”

“Please?” Harry asked, curling his head to land solidly on Snape’s shoulder. The dark cloak blotted out light in a blissfully peaceful way. “Please try to talk with it!”

A nervous feeling begged Harry to stop asking, but a high voice urged him on as it swam through his thoughts. They blurred together into a discordant and ugly mess, leaving Harry struggling to tell which instinct was his own.

“No.” Snape said. He shook his head and his fingers tightened around Harry.

If Harry weren’t so used to Snape’s mannerisms surrounding stress, he might’ve interpreted his tightening hold as anger, or worse still, disapproval. Harry was well aware of what disapproval looked like on Snape, having suffered the weight of it during the last four years of school.

Snape had a grip like iron, and when he chose to use it, it left little room for miscommunication.

This line of thinking only led Harry toward more confusion, as he was sure Snape wouldn’t hurt him, not intentionally at least. Maybe his tightening fingers were an unconscious reaction?

Maybe he was more frightened than Harry?

“You’re flying on your broom.” Snape’s soft voice drifted through Harry’s thoughts. Harry found himself wondering if he truly had fallen asleep for a brief moment, but found it unlikely, given how tense he still felt.

Harry huffed and pressed his forehead against Snape. His scar hadn’t lit up in pain, but it hadn’t exactly been silent.

A thick band of pressure still circled his head intermittently.

He wished he’d argued and pushed Snape to interact with the angry voice, rather than giving in. Snape truly had calmed it down. Harry hadn’t considered what it might all be, or mean, but he couldn’t help wondering if the voice having calmed down had something to do with how Snape treated it.

An uncomfortable satisfaction curled through him and relished how concerned Snape was.

The feeling made Harry nauseas. He knew Snape cared about him. Snape had been open about it, and made sure Harry understood why he cared and why he deserved to be cared for. Snape spent ages explaining how help and care were reasonable things to want and ask for, but Harry had never been led to feel as if he were entitled to it.

Maybe he was entitled to it though?

Snape made it seem as if Harry deserved care solely by existing.

Was Harry entitled to care because he was a person, or because he was better than everyone else?

He tried to internally shake that thought off, as he was sure it didn’t belong to him. It was difficult to understand how a thought could come from his head and not belong to him. He was being illogical. He was the only person who could think in his head, therefore, it must be him creating the thought.

That didn’t align with having memories that weren’t his own though.

An old, dusty memory flickered through his mind and reminded him of a comment Mr Weasley’s made ages ago.

‘Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.’

“You’re sailing through a cloudless sky.” Snape said.

“Starry sky.” Harry mumbled from where his face was pressed to Snape’s shoulder. “Flying at night’s loads more calming.”

“Starry sky, forgive me.” A hand disappeared from Harry’s side and began carding through his hair. “The Dog Star is no doubt bright, and you follow it at a lazy speed.”

The mental image was easy to build, and Harry quickly imagined a dense forest beneath him, similar to the one around Ms Eileen’s house. Pine trees grew tall and carpeted the ground in all directions. He wondered idly about the specks of light on the horizon, and if he’d consciously thought to include the market near Ms Eileen’s house, or if it fell into place, as if it’d always been there.

The closer he flew to it, the more he realized how smokey the woods were.

“It’s warm, and summery.” Snape continued.

Harry wasn’t sure if ‘summery’ was how he’d have described it. ‘Ablaze’ was a more accurate description. Hundreds of fires grew before Harry’s eyes, quickly followed by rubble, screams and bent and broken lifeless people.

The smoke ballooned upwards in dense, burnt clouds and coated his throat.

Harry wrenched backwards and coughed violently as the taste of a smoldering city bled into him. Sharp panic bit into him and pushed him to run away.

Snape jerked and caught him before he could bolt. His low voice warbled in Harry’s ears, urging him to take slower breaths.

He couldn’t understand where the taste had come from, as the only fires he had much experience with came from dragons or the floo. He couldn’t imagine anyone knowing how a burning city would taste, or smell for that matter.

Anger at his own persistent confusion bubbled through his chest.

The voice hissed a laugh and a hazily circled Harry’s head, tickling his ears as it bled into him.

“Harry?” Snape asked.

Harry sniffed and tried to imagine other pungent smells and tastes to wash out the ash, but nothing worked.

Snape whispered a spell and a glass of water appeared moments later.

He grabbed at the glass, but swallowed too quickly and coughed again as desperation shot through him. He wished he could shut the voice up. It reminded him too much of the basilisk’s murderous whispers from his second year, and the gruesome vision he’d had in his mum’s flat.

Bellatrix Lestrange’s bleeding eyes and twisted frame sent an oily, slick sort of pleasure through Harry.

He had no proof for how he knew who the voice and feelings belonged to. He’d thought about who they belonged to before, though he hadn’t directly expressed his opinion. It was both exceedingly obvious, and worrying enough for Harry to hold off until he was truly sure.

It was too frightening to ignore now.

“It’s Tom.” Harry coughed and slammed his eyes shut, hoping to chase the images away, but they flickered to life in the darkness, bright as daylight. “It’s not—they’re not my thoughts! He keeps thinking of London being bombed and of hurting people!”

“Breathe.” Snape said firmly. “You’re panicking and this is frightening, but you have to block it out.”

“It’s not working!” Harry snapped. His eyes burned as frustrated tears leaked out and phantom smoke stung as it clung to them. “I can’t calm down when it won’t go away!”

“Yes you can!” Snape’s thumb swept over Harry’s cheek. “Clear your mind—”

“IT WON’T LET ME!” Harry shouted.

He nearly tipped from Snape’s lap as the urge to scream tore through him. His fingers knotted into his hair and he pulled as hard as he could.

The tightening band of pressure throbbed and closed in around his forehead as searing pain burst through his scar. Harry tried to push it away, but he couldn’t find his hands. He couldn’t tell anymore where his head began and where it ended.

Blurry shapes rushed past his eyes at pitched and nauseating speeds. Memories he did and didn’t know collided into a sickening mess.

Aunt Petunia’s scissors snipped in his ears, and the taste of soap bubbled through his mouth. An old woman with a ragged, stuffed doll in her pocket begged Harry to leave Dudley alone. She tried to remind him that he and Dudley had more in common than he realized, as both of them were orphans, but that was laughably wrong. Harry was extraordinary and couldn’t be compared to Dudley.

That made no sense. Dudley’s parents were alive. Harry would’ve known if Aunt Petunia or Uncle Vernon had died, he was sure someone would’ve told him.

The rubble and ash he’d smelled earlier ballooned around him in a haze and Harry instinctively recited the rules for black outs during the Blitz.

He remembered taking a test on the rolling black outs and the Blitz in primary school, but he was fairly sure he hadn’t done very well. He knew he’d asked Aunt Petunia about it, but he could only remember how her dull gray hair had been coated in dust as she led Harry and Dudley out of their rooms toward a safer location.

Harry hadn’t had a room when he was that young though, he’d slept in the cupboard.

Uncle Vernon had been similarly unhelpful. He disliked learning about history, though he didn’t mind short documentaries on the aeroplanes and tactics used during the war, but he didn’t go looking for them either.

The only time he seemed to enjoy them was when he felt Harry needed a reminder of how much more comfortable Privet Drive was compared to sleeping at a military base.

Harry hadn’t been drafted, he was too young. There wasn’t a war going on either, at least not a muggle one. Harry couldn’t have been drafted.

It was 1995.

He tried to slowly inhale and catch the inconsistencies.

The strange differences were Tom’s. What didn’t belong to Harry must’ve belonged to Tom. Harry could easily remember how Tom begged his headmaster to allow him to stay at Hogwarts during the war, and he remembered Tom discussing his orphanage as well, which must’ve housed the elderly woman with grey hair.

Tom hadn’t been drafted because he was too young.

He’d been through the Blitz though, and Harry could see how terrified he’d been, but only for himself. He hadn’t felt an ounce of compassion toward any of the people. He hadn’t spared a single kind thought for them. The fear Harry’d felt upon seeing the lifeless people stemmed from a deep fear of his own death, and how little he’d accomplished at that time. The muggles didn’t grasp the greatness of who walked among them, nor how much more worthy of their attention Tom was.

He wasn’t worthy of their attention. He was a psychotic mass-murderer.

Harry’s scar flared at that thought. It settled into a low, prickling ache and only seemed to grow more dull as time went on. The whorl of memories and thoughts slowed with it, leaving Harry forcing his sticky, sore eyes open in order to see what was going on.

The room tilted to the left for a brief moment before slowly rocking back to the right.

An odd trail of light raced over Snape’s shoulder, and Harry idly watched as it ran down Snape’s chest and toward the floor before bolting up the opposite side. It didn’t look harmful, whatever it was.

The room tilted left again and Harry belatedly realized Snape was slowly rocking.

He was whispering something as well. A long string of complicated Latin, which Harry picked apart to mean something along the lines of protection, or shield, or maybe guard.

Hermione would probably have been better at guessing it. She’d found a spell to help Harry with his ribbons earlier. He’d forgotten about it in between Umbridge’s meeting and Tom’s memories.

A faint thrill of excitement trickled through him after realizing he hadn’t had a murderous thought in the last few seconds.

He leant away and blinked lazily around the room. The chaos swarming his thoughts hadn’t touched the sitting room, which made sense, seeing as it was all in Harry’s mind, but he somehow still expected for it to have leaked from him and wreaked havoc on the peaceful room.

Snape’s rhythmic chant stopped, dropping them into an uncomfortable silence.

“I think it’s gone.” Harry said with a whisper. “But I don’t think—” His train of thought dissipated into thin air as he considered how Snape might react if Harry told him about how he felt.

Harry didn’t often disagree with Snape, at least not after August.

He didn’t believe clearing his mind made Tom go away though, because he hadn’t cleared his mind. In fact, he was more inclined to believe the little light trailing over them had something to do with it.

He couldn’t be sure, however, as he didn’t know how long it’d been around for.

He wished Snape had tried to interact with Tom. Although, it was Tom, so Harry could easily understand why Snape had firmly said ‘no’, but in that same vein, it wasn’t Voldemort who’d been sharing his feelings.

It was Voldemort as well. Tom and Voldemort were one person.

“What if he knows you’re helping me now?”

Snape’s pale face drained to a grey colour. “If he knew, he’d be quite up front about it.” He said before gesturing to the dark mark hiding beneath his sleeve. “I believe I’d be well aware of his displeasure.”

“What if he knows and is hiding it?” Harry asked.

“My knowledge of his inner circle and plans, and Albus’s knowledge of his past and methods would make me a poor person to leave alive, Harry.” Snape said in a soft, careful voice.

“Not if he thought he could use you.” Harry said as a throb pulsed from his scar.

Snape shook his head. “There are no uses worth what I may tell.”

Harry disagreed once more, though his scar didn’t react this time. He couldn’t help imagining Voldemort’s overinflated narcissism allowing for Snape to share his secrets, seeing as he could easily turn the situation around to make Snape look wrong.

However, Snape still knew secrets concerning upcoming plans.

Voldemort might just as easily have lied about those plans though.

“I wish you’d talked with him.” Harry finally said. He tried to reach upwards to rub his forehead, but found his arms trapped by Ms Eileen’s knit cover. “We might’ve learned what was going on.”

“Or we might’ve opened you up to more attacks.” Snape said slowly. “We might’ve opened Hogwarts up to be attacked. We might’ve alerted the Dark Lord to your awareness of what this is—”

“What is it?” Harry asked as he fussed with the knit cover. His scar prickled again, but settled quickly.

Snape slowly blinked as his lips thinned and displeasure flashed across his face. “I don’t know.”

“Neither do I!” Harry snapped. “Don’t you think I should be allowed to question myself?”

“You wouldn’t be questioning yourself—”

“It’s coming from my head!” Harry said as he tried again to shove at Ms Eileen’s cover. “What if it’s him trying to break through my thoughts?!”

“He would need direct eye contact to do that.” Snape said in a carefully calm voice. He pulled at the blanket, loosening it enough for Harry to pull free. “Anything else would be long distance and the potency of it would be incredibly subdued, due to that distance.”

“Well he succeeded, distance or not.” Harry said. He shivered and debated tugging the blanket over himself once more, but he didn’t fancy being stuck beneath it.

He wanted to leave.

He didn’t want to be in Snape’s chambers, or Hogwarts, or anywhere Voldemort might be able to reach him.

The urge to scream built through him once more, both at every horrible thing that’d happened lately and at Snape’s calm reaction to it. He didn’t want Snape to be angry with him, but he also wanted something other than calm acceptance.

Harry felt as if his head had been tossed into a blender and mashed together with Tom Riddle’s. It wasn’t as if Tom was a sound or logical person either!

“Harry—”

“You could’ve at least tried to talk with it!” Harry said as he awkwardly climbed down from Snape’s lap. “You’ve done it before!” He sniffled.

“I’m not entertaining that line of thinking.” Snape said as a firm line creased his forehead. His dark eyes sharpened and Harry saw a spark of something almost reproachful. “I think it would be dangerous for you to try as well and I don’t want you interacting with it.”

“It’s my head!” Harry said, barely resisting the urge to shout. “How can I not talk with it!?”

“Please Harry, clearing your mind and focusing on your own thoughts is all—”

“It doesn’t work!” Harry snapped. “I can’t clear my head when it’s full of smoke and dead people!” He twisted on his heel and shuddered as his scar flared.

“Harry!”

Harry bolted from the sitting room, tripping on uncoordinated feet as he aimed for Snape’s bedroom. The thought of staying out in the sitting room made him feel as if bugs were crawling over his skin. He didn’t want to deal with this anymore.

He couldn’t deal with anything anymore.

He slid into the bedroom and slammed the door shut before throwing himself against it. Everything on him ached in a heavy, uncomfortable way. Harry couldn’t tell if he’d lost time like he had at Grimmauld Place or if he’d actually fallen into a mess of thoughts that weren’t entirely his own.

Harry twisted around and froze as he caught sight of the closet. It was larger than his cupboard in Privet Drive, he could see that from where he leant against the door.

The cupboard in Privet Drive had never made Harry feel better though, neither had the closet in Grimmauld Place.

Soft footsteps echoed from the short hallway, but stopped short before opening the door.

Harry blinked through his anger and realized, with a growing sense of horror that he’d screamed and slammed the door in Snape’s chambers.

He’d shouted in Snape’s face and ran away.

Screaming, running, and slamming doors was something Dudley did.

He shivered and swallowed heavily.

Snape might hate him.

Ron’s voice whispered in his ears and reminded him of how easily Snape could abandon him back on the Dursley’s front porch.

He wanted to run out and scream an apology. He could tidy the house or organize things just the way Aunt Petunia liked. Snape wasn’t Aunt Petunia though and Harry couldn’t attribute things she approved of to things Snape would approve of.

The necklace hummed, warming solidly against his chest, but it didn’t help.

He wanted to cry.

He wasn’t sure how to make things better, or if he even wanted to make them better at the moment. He wanted for Snape to have talked with the Tom in Harry’s head, that way, they’d might have learnt if he was the same Tom who’d been reborn last spring.

Snape had made a good point, but Harry felt he didn’t understand how difficult it was to endure out Tom’s emotions.

There was no doubt the experience was horrifying, and in hindsight, Harry could easily see how distinct Tom’s emotions were from his own, but it hadn’t been so simple at the time. Snape seemed to understand that, but he hadn’t considered Harry’s idea.

He’s always considered Harry’s ideas.

Now he might be considering how quickly to get rid of him.

The crack in Harry’s soul split open, though he tried to ignore it. He’d brought this on himself and no amount of begging or pleading would change Snape’s mind. Aunt Petunia had drilled that into Harry ages ago.

He coughed around his clogged throat and tried to breathe before realizing he’d begun to sob.

He’d ruined everything over one argument.

A shiver broke over him again and he wished he’d just stayed near Snape. He wished he had something warm to bundle into and as he wished he hadn’t been stuck in his school uniform.

He curled into himself against the door and tucked his face into his knees.

Snape should’ve come into his room by now, and he would have to kick Harry out sooner or later.

Bitterness washed over him when he realized that Snape was likely waiting to give Harry the antidote and return him to his proper age. Snape likely wouldn’t want to continue their after lessons meetings, no matter how much Harry had looked forward to them, and Harry wasn’t sure how their trade would work going forward.

Maybe he’d sneak down to Snape’s office at odd hours and beg for help.

He sniffled again and tried to keep quiet.

No one liked to hear children crying. Aunt Petunia had drilled that lesson into Harry as well.


——



It felt as if he’d sat, curled against Snape’s bedroom door for hours. He wasn’t sure if he’d ever heard Snape’s footsteps leave, though he’d struggled to hear anything after he’d begun to cry.

He rubbed his eyes and tried to find a clock. It was too dark to see in the room, but Harry couldn’t bear to disrupt the silence with anything.

Old worries launched through his thoughts, pushing him to notice what floorboards seemed noisy and how best to sneak around Snape’s bedroom. The only method he really had to tell time at the moment was the window in the corner of the room.

Wispy moonlight drifted through the window, but was too faint to to reach the floor or truly brighten the room.

He sniffled and tried to scratch the itchy tear stains from his cheeks.

It wasn’t fair for Harry to stay in Snape’s bedroom. He should apologize, and face the consequences of what he’d done. Prolonging it was only adding to his nervousness. He wasn’t sure about what he should do

His fingers wound into the hem of his shirt and he tried to summon an ounce of courage. The peace in the dark bedroom wouldn’t last forever.

Harry reached up and twisted the antique knob open before pulling the door open a smidge.

All the lights were still on.

A shudder rattled over Harry, but he shoved it down and tip toed out of the bedroom. Snape must’ve left at some point, because he wasn’t in the hallway. The cabinets from the kitchenette blanketed the hallway with a dark shadow, and Harry took a short moment to try and search for where Snape might be.

He thought Snape would’ve returned to his desk.

He slipped past the kitchenette as quietly as he could before jerking backwards as he caught sight of Snape’s feet draped over the arm of his sofa.

He worried suddenly if it was truly too late to be awake. Snape should’ve been at his desk, leaving scathing notes on essays rather than laying on the sofa. Harry tossed a look at the stack of unmarked homework on the desk and struggled to imagine Snape having ignored it during Harry’s episode. The stack didn’t look as if it’d shrunk since he’d last seen it though.

Maybe he’d marked everything and just replaced the marked work with a new stack before deciding if it was too late to continue?

Why hadn’t he transfigured the sofa into a bed then, like he’d done in his mum’s flat and Ms Eileen’s house?

Harry took great care in his steps as he maneuvered himself closer to the kitchenette. He made it to the small corner near the desk before he finally had a full view of the sitting room.

Snape looked as miserable as Harry felt. Both of his arms were stretched out and lay crossed over his eyes as if he were asleep, which made Harry wonder if he might be able to sneak past him before he remembered he still needed the antidote. Stark lines deepened near his mouth in a bitter, resentful expression and his long fingers were knotted into his hair.

That only made Harry feel worse. He didn’t fancy waking him up if he were asleep.

Snape didn’t deserve to sleep on the sofa, especially not when he looked this upset and his bed went unused. It was a very comfortable bed as well, though Harry chased that thought away with a quick reminder to himself about where he now stood with Snape.

How would Harry go about waking Snape up without angering him?

Should he even try to wake him up? In August, he’d normally just run into Ms Eileen’s sitting room and gently shake him awake, if he’d ever stayed asleep for longer than Harry. Snape often slept too lightly to even need someone to wake him up though.

Maybe he was awake now?

Harry crept closer, keeping his footsteps light, though he wondered if he should just return to Snape’s bedroom.

Snape sniffed and one of his arms dropped to land on his stomach. Harry jerked to a stop as one of Snape’s eyes slipped open and began slowly tracking over the furniture before landing on Harry.

Harry’s fingers tightened into the hem of his shirt as Snape blinked twice at him. An almost nervous look flashed across his eyes too quickly for Harry to name before he sat up.

It sat oddly in Snape, and Harry was unsure of why he’d be nervous, given how Harry had been the one to shout and slam the door.

Neither seemed willing to break the tense, heavy silence either, despite how desperately Harry wished one of them would. He wasn’t sure how to begin apologizing, as he’d never been successful at it with the Dursleys. They’d always hated him though, and Harry’d never had to guess where he stood.

Snape slowly climbed to his feet, making Harry trip backwards and bounce off of the desk after having backed into it.

“How do you feel?” Snape asked after a long moment.

Harry half considered running back into the bedroom, as he didn’t want to think about how he felt anymore. He didn’t want anyone to wonder how he felt either. He’d never been great at dodging Snape’s questions either, nor was there much use in outright lying. Snape always saw through lies.

“I-I’m,” Harry stammered. ‘Awful’, was the correct way to explain how he felt. ‘Miserable’ could work as well, though it didn’t encapsulate the way everything on him ached and itched. “Sorry. I’m sorry.” He said instead. The urge to cry and beg Snape to not leave him with the Dursleys shot through him, but he stoutly ignored it. Begging had never helped with Aunt Petunia, nor did Harry think it would work with Snape.

Snape shook his head and slowly lowered himself down onto his knees. “I don’t appreciate being shouted at, but your apology is accepted.” He said as the nervous look Harry’d seen earlier flickered behind his eyes once more. “In the future—”

Harry shook his head furiously before blanching and wishing he’d just stayed still.

Snape paused. The distance between them screamed an added awkwardness, given how quietly they’d spoken.

“Will you let me help you clean up?” Snape asked.

Harry stared dumbly for a minute at the twist in conversation before looking over himself. He didn’t think he looked dreadful, a bit wrinkled and uncomfortable, but not as if he needed help.

“You scratched your forehead, quite a lot.” Snape said as he glanced toward Harry’s scar. “I imagine it hurts.”

“But,” Harry started as he traced a finger gently over the sore cuts. It did hurt, though Harry hadn’t realized it. “I thought you’d, erm,” He tried to force himself to explain how he felt. In Sirius’s family library, Snape had mentioned being unable to help Harry if he didn’t know what Harry needed help with. “I didn’t-I didn’t want you to get rid of me.” He choked.

Snape’s shoulders stooped as he leveraged himself to his feet with the help of the coffee table. “I promised to help you,” He said as he telegraphed his movement well ahead of time before stepping closer. “And I will always try.”

“But you didn’t promise to deal with stuff like-like this.” Harry said with a miserable wave at his forehead.

“But I did promise to help you.” Snape said in a soft voice. “And regardless of what the issue may be, I will still continue to do so.” He added as he leant down and held his hands out for Harry.

Harry blinked at his open palms and tried to reorganize his thoughts quickly, so he wouldn’t be repeating stupid thoughts and questions.

“Additionally,” Snape started as Harry let go of his hem and reached upwards. “I’m proud of you.”

Snape’s hands slipped beneath Harry’s arms and they made a short walk toward the bathroom.

“Though I wouldn’t appreciate a repeat of the volume from tonight’s argument, I’m glad you were able to comfortably express your anger.” Snape said as he settled Harry onto the countertop and found a washcloth. “At least for a short while.”

Harry flinched after spotting his reflection.

He hadn’t just scratched his forehead, he’d clawed at it. His scar stood out starkly against his skin and small droplets of blood dripped from the inflamed edges. His cheeks were stained over with tears, and the collar on his jumper was ragged from where he’d wiped his nose.

He looked far too much like he’d sobbed in Snape’s bedroom for hours, which, while true, wasn’t how he’d wanted to appear when he’d apologized.

His rough appearance only left him feeling more shocked that Snape still wanted to help him.

“Needing space to sort out your anger is normal, however,” Snape started as he ran the cloth under the sink before brushing it over Harry’s face and chasing away the uncomfortable stickiness his meltdown had left behind. “What do you think you could’ve done differently?”

Snape handed the cloth to Harry as he turned to search through the bathroom cupboard.

“Erm,” Harry sniffled and rubbed at his nose with the cloth. Truthfully, he wasn’t sure what he should’ve done differently. He hadn’t wanted to stay in Snape’s sitting room, nor had he wanted to argue any longer. “Not shouted?” He asked.

Snape nodded. “That would’ve been a good decision.” He said as he unscrewed the lid on a small jar.

“But you kept saying you wouldn’t talk with him.”

Long fingers swept over Harry’s forehead as he dabbed an ointment over the cuts. “Regardless, do you think shouting would’ve encouraged me to talk with him?”

Harry blinked blankly as his thoughts made a slow, stupid circle around what Snape had said. before he shook his head ‘no’. “Probably not.”

“No, probably not.” Snape said as he set the small jar down.

“I don't want Dumbledore to try and talk with it.”

“I don’t want that either.” Snape said as he held his hand out for the cloth. “But I do not believe any good can come from interacting with the Dark Lord.”

Harry disagreed and shook his head ‘no’. “But you’ve done it before, and you know what he’s like, you know him really well.”

“No one knows him.” Snape said. “He creates who he wants others to see.” He added as he flicked his wand and dried Harry’s collar before collecting Harry once more. “To that end, I spoke with Mother this evening.”

Harry looked upwards and his heart plunged into his stomach at what Ms Eileen likely thought of his melt down.

“She went to school with the Dark Lord.” Snape said. “She’s agreed to sort through her memories of him at that time and to offer any help she can.”

“She did?!” Harry asked.

“She was several years below him, but they were both in Slytherin.” Snape said. “She may be able to offer us insight into the memories, and if they’re true or not.”

Harry nodded wildly. He hadn’t considered how anyone could’ve attended Hogwarts with Tom. It felt too much like a locked space that had been suspended in time.

“She also sent your stuffed dog through the floo and requested that you write to her soon, she misses you.” Snape said as he returned to the sitting room and plucked the stuffed animal up from where it’d been hiding near the fireplace.

“Oh.” Harry said as he tucked it close against his chest.

“She says the house is far too quiet now.”

Harry wondered if this was what children normally experienced after meltdowns. Harry rarely saw Aunt Petunia and Dudley apologize openly, and more often than not, Aunt Petunia just gave Dudley what he’d asked for. If she truly put her foot down, Dudley usually just screamed or hid until he’d calmed down and the two would move on.

A sour feeling spilled through Harry when he realized he’d acted similarly to Dudley by hiding, but Snape had also said that wasn’t a horrible reaction.

He supposed that even Dudley would have some reasonable coping methods.

“It’s now quite late, and I think you might be more tired than you realize.”

Harry blinked upwards and nodded as his head dropped onto Snape’s shoulder. He wasn’t sure he’d felt quite this exhausted in a while, though he knew he’d been overdue for some kind of outward reaction to every horrible event that’d happened in the last week.

Snape stepped quickly toward his bedroom and sent several warming charms over the bed before pulling out a pair of pyjamas for Harry. He disappeared while Harry changed but appeared shortly after and helped tuck him in.

Harry still worried about what would happen with Umbridge, but he decided to ignore her while he slept. He could bother with her in the morning. She knew Harry was aware of the gagging curse now, though she had no way of knowing that Snape, Sirius and Lupin knew as well.

The spell Hermione’d found earlier in the evening flashed through his thoughts and he looked upwards once more.

“In the morning, will you help me and Ron and Hermione with a spell to stop the ribbons?”

Snape nodded before brushing a finger slowly over Harry’s nose. “Starry sky at night.” He whispered as Harry’s eyes drifted shut. “Dog Star above.” He added before the stuffed animal appeared in Harry’s arms.
To be continued...
End Notes:
This chapter is my baby and I adore it and hope you guys do as well! Please leave a comment below if you enjoyed it, thank you so much for reading!
Chapter 16 by WiCeBa
Harry tiptoed around Snape’s Chambers.

Early, pale blue light drifted through thin, slanted windows near the ceiling, though it did little to brighten the room.

He worried about using any real light and waking Snape, but after nearly bumping into a shadowy cabinet and tripping over several fallen books, he gave up and cast the dimmest ‘Lumos’ he could. He felt sure he could move quietly enough to avoid any real trouble. He just needed to be careful. He wasn’t entirely sure how Snape would feel if he caught Harry awake, but then, he hadn’t intentionally woken up.

Besides, wandering Hogwarts after hours was different from snooping around Snape’s sitting room. One of them was strictly off limits and the other hadn’t been openly frowned upon.

Neither Ms Eileen nor Snape minded when Harry woke early in Germany, but that may have had something to do with how little trouble he could get up to. He hadn’t been very inclined to exploring Ms Eileen’s garden or the surrounding woods.

Snape’s Chambers felt similar enough to Ms Eileen’s house, which led Harry to feel as if he couldn’t get into too much trouble by searching for the book he’d taken from Sirius’s library.

Harry grimaced as he picked over a small stack of thick, leather bound books near Snape’s desk. None of them were remotely similar to the books they’d pulled from Sirius’s house. The odd thought that Snape may have charmed them all to display different titles flickered through his mind, though he couldn’t decide how likely that was.

Why would Snape charm the books in his own Chambers? Harry couldn’t imagine other Professors dropping by unannounced, nor did he think anyone with an ounce of self-preservation would sneak into his rooms.

Harry tilted his wand up and idly considered the spell Snape had taught Hermione over the summer.

Had it been ‘Specialis Revelio’?

Couldn’t ‘Accio’ work in this situation as well? Harry considered how terribly his morning would go if Snape locked the books into a cabinet and Harry’s spell brought them smashing against the glass.

He shuddered at how angry Snape may be if that was what he woke to.

Perhaps, if the book was on a shelf, it wouldn’t be quite as loud?

Harry shook his head and reminded himself of how terribly last night had already gone. His melt down had been mortifying. He dreaded ever reacting like that again, even if after the fact, he found himself feeling a fair bit lighter.

He felt as if he’d been wrung out, and doubted he could ever cry quite as much as he had again. He still needed to sort out how he felt about Snape’s reaction. Aunt Petunia had never walked Harry through why his behaviour had been wrong and Harry couldn’t help but wonder how he’d be if she had.

Maybe he’d have spent less time being miserable in his cupboard?

Harry froze as Snape made a soft sound and turned over.

An uncomfortable fear wound around his thoughts and he wondered suddenly if he was worried about Snape catching him and putting a stop to his search, or if he worried about Snape being disappointed in him for having stolen Sirius’s heirloom.

He didn’t have a grand amount of experience with adults being disappointed in him.

It wasn’t as if Snape told Harry not to read the heirloom though. He couldn’t remember why Sirius hadn’t wanted him to read it either, he just knew he’d wanted it. He now wondered if it had been Tom who wanted it, regardless, Harry had stolen it.

Could Tom make Harry want things? He’d made Harry want to hurt Umbridge last night.

It would be a struggle to convince Harry to do anything aside from read the book, though maybe that was Tom’s intention? Perhaps Tom wanted Harry to read, and while he read, he’d possess him, much like he had Ginny in their second year.

He shook his head once more and shoved his worries to the side.

Badgering himself while in the midst of snooping was a good way to get caught. He’d already decided to look for the book, so he ought to stop worrying and start actively searching.

“Specialis Revelio.” Harry whispered as he quietly rapped his wand over the stack of books.

A misty grey fog plumed from his wand, but nothing changed. He idly wondered if maybe one of the book’s pages flickered, but he changed his mind after paging through them.

He twisted on his heel and thought hard about the heirloom’s dark green cover and stained brittle pages.

“Accio.” He whispered with as gentle a wave as he could make.

Several books rattled from behind Snape’s desk with a muffled, dull noise making Harry whip around and blink through the darkness at Snape.

It didn’t look as if it’d woken him, so Harry quickly tiptoed toward the sound.

To his surprise, he realized the books had been charmed to display harmless titles. Harry found himself wondering once more why Snape would take the precaution. He picked through the selection as quietly and carefully as he could, whispering ‘specialis revelio’ as he searched and tried to ignore the slowly burning excitement building in his chest.

Harry wondered again if his inclination toward stealing the book had been his own prerogative, or if it had been Tom wanting it. He didn’t fancy considering himself as the one who’d wanted to read about gruesome spells.

Snape wasn’t sure if Harry had been possessed last night or not, nor was he sure who Harry’s memories belonged to, but Harry was near positive they were Tom’s.

His fingers slipped over a soft, dark cover and he smiled widely.

He whispered the charm to reveal the true title and found that the Latin escaped him again. It might’ve read, ‘Curses and the Body’, but Harry couldn’t be sure. The type of spells however, were unmistakable and the smile fell from his lips as he once more found himself thinking of the way Bellatrix Lestrange’s head had snapped backwards in his vision.

He set the books back into a stack and watched as his revealing charm faded and returned the stack to its disguised state.

He padded into the bedroom and climbed back into Snape’s bed. The soft covers slipped around him as he snuck beneath and flipped the book open, before cautiously searching over the illustrations. He quickly found that while the book had been alphabetized, Sirius’s family pasted pages out of order, though they seemed to generally agree to keep spells beginning with ‘A’ together, and so on.

Umbridge’s gagging curse lingered in the back of his mind, but he found himself far more interested in finding information that explained what had happened last night. He wondered if he could trick Tom into arriving by reading from the book, as it was easily as uncomfortable as sitting in a meeting with Umbridge. The thought of enduring the tidal wave of anger, bitterness, and narcissism again made Harry nauseous, but he’d seen how quickly Tom could appear now.

If he could appear at the drop of a hat, Harry needed a way to make him leave just as quick. Occlumency wasn’t helping.

He still wanted someone to talk with Tom as well. Ms Eileen was invaluable, but if no one talked with Tom, then her experiences were only helpful for guessing how true the memories Harry’d seen were.

She couldn’t tell if they were talking to Tom or Voldemort, or both, or neither, if she didn’t talk with whomever was in Harry’s head.

Snape wasn’t about to talk with him, that much had been made clear last night.

The more he searched over the book though, the less sure he felt about his experience with Tom’s memories. He began second guessing his experiences from the last few months as well. Aside from a growing sense of unease, Harry hadn’t felt anything like he had last night, and he began to wonder if he was mad for believing Tom could pop in whenever he liked. Snape believed Harry’s experience in the cupboard, and later in his office when he’d spoken Parseltongue, and last night, came from Tom attempting to sneak into his mind through long distance magic. Harry began to think he may have been right. He couldn’t force Tom into attacking him whenever he pleased by reading about nasty curses, no matter how badly he wanted some control over the situation.

Harry wondered if he should stop calling him Tom, but the memories he’d seen last night were clearly from when Voldemort was Tom. They were odd memories to force Harry to see as well. They weren't intimidating either, but highly traumatizing instead.

Why bother showing Harry the London Blitz? It had nothing to do with the long hallway he’d seen in his dreams, nor did it have anything to do with the prophecy or war.

He realized that without any sort of actual guidance, the likelihood that he’d find an answer to his confusing experience was low and began to read through the ‘G’s’, in search of gagging curses instead. It was difficult to find any one curse however, and he transitioned to flipping and glancing over pages with cautious care. Several spells looked promising, but none of them mentioned the ribbons Harry experienced, or the way he choked on them.

He wondered if Umbridge had chosen for ribbons to choke him, or if it’d been a feature within the curse. Ribbons were notable enough for him to believe that at least one person would’ve mentioned it.

Harry blinked as he came across an ink stained page. It was devoid of the drawings he’d grown used to narrowly avoiding. Nearly every instruction was scratched over with alternative directions and warnings.

Someone had circled a thin and slanted note reading, ‘Process?’, and drawn an arrow toward another circled note reading, ‘Ask Slughorn’.

The arrows split from there and pointed to several instructions and outcomes, which Harry idly read over until he came to the title of the page.

“Horcrux.” Harry quietly read aloud.

He’d finished the ‘G’s’ and moved straight into ‘H’ without realizing it. His hopes of finding his curse fizzled and he sighed as he dropped his chin into his hand and glanced over the page before him.

Several spells were listed, each with clear guides for pronunciation, as well as wand movements.

Harry couldn’t tell if this page was about an item or spell, as half of the summary was scratched out, and replaced with another scratched out summary. The further he read, the more nausea swept through him. A large portion of the page directed the reader toward the goal of encasing a soul in a container, though thankfully for Harry’s stomach, it had nothing on how to go about it. The arrow Harry noticed earlier trailed off from this point and once more directed him to ask Slughorn.

He wondered if Slughorn was an author.

A heavy feeling sank in the back of Harry’s mind, and he slowly slid the book closed and hid it beneath the bed.

Sirius had been right. The book should’ve stayed in his family library.

He shuddered and grabbed his stuffed dog before climbing down from the bed. The room was too dark and too cold, and reading about trapping souls reminded him far too much of the way his mum and dad had crawled out from Voldemort’s wand during their duel in the graveyard. He hoped they weren’t encased in Voldemort’s wand. He tried to breathe calmly and guess if Tom might choose now to reappear, but he couldn’t sense any of the malevolence, or narcissism that’d been prevalent last night.

Gravestones seemed to peak out from within the shadows in Snape’s room, and Harry let out a nervous breath. He couldn’t see Voldemort’s whisper thin black cloak, nor could he hear Nagini.

He could smell the burnt ozone that hung in the air after someone was murdered though.

His stuffed dog made him feel a fair bit braver, but he didn’t fancy spending another second in this bedroom. He carefully avoided the darker shadows as he rushed into the sitting room and gently shook Snape awake.

“Nightmare?” Snape asked in a raspy, exhausted voice.

Harry nodded and climbed onto the bed as Snape lifted the covers. He wasn’t sure how he felt about lying, or if Snape would consider Harry seeing gravestones similar enough to a nightmare to think of them the same thing.

Snape dropped a hand over his head and whispered something too softly for Harry to hear.

He felt far safer hiding beneath the covers with Snape. Finding Snape was too routine for Harry to feel any semblance of awkwardness, or as if he should handle his fears on his own as well.

“You’re at Hogwarts,” Snape said in a clearer voice. “It’s nearly five in the morning and you have an essay due in Potions, this afternoon.”

Harry nodded and tried to keep his thoughts on his grades and homework.

He’d worked on his essay with Hermione and Ron earlier in the week, though given what happened in between Snape assigning his essay, Malfoy’s bullying and all it brought forth, Harry forgot about it.

“It’s on the ingredients for the Invigoration Draught, you did well brewing it in class.” Snape said. His voice slipped away from him near the end and Harry wondered if he could hear Snape falling back asleep.

The uncomfortable stickiness of the burnt smell and shadowy graves drifted slowly.

His eyelids drooped and while he doubted he’d truly sleep, he found himself distracted enough to think about whether or not he’d written the conclusion to that essay, rather than darker topics.


——


“This has potential.” Snape said as he read through the spell Hermione showed him.

Ron sniffled and rubbed at his eyes as he looked at the covers still draped over the couch and the cluttered desk. He slowly moved around the coffee table before dropping onto a cushion next to Harry.

If given the chance, Harry knew Ron would fall back asleep. He wondered if he felt strange about possibly sleeping in Snape’s Chambers.

Despite Harry’s belief in his own insomnia, he managed to sleep for nearly an hour before Snape woke him and gave him the antidote. After agreeing once more to help Harry, Ron, and Hermione with the charm they’d found yesterday, Harry made his way to the Common Room and back in time to find the bed settling back into a tufted couch.

“What I didn’t understand, Professor, or I guess more or less realized last night,” Hermione began. She stood stock still next to Snape as she spoke, and her hands twitched, as if eager to point to areas on the page. “Was whether or not this needed to be cast when the curse was triggered or if it could be cast now, and be, well, be present for whenever Harry needed it.”

Snape turned the page and hummed as he read over the opposite side.

“Thought we’d all be sent home last night.” Ron whispered to Harry.

Harry blinked and turned to look at Ron as Hermione asked another question.

“Umbridge, I mean,” Ron said. “Thought she’d try poisoning you again, Snape would kill her and the school’d close. That’s what you tried to say, when she dragged you away, wasn’t it? Poison?”

“Oh.” Harry said dumbly.

He’d tried to say ‘potion’, but poison worked equally as well.

“Well, we ran to get Snape, and I mean, we ran. Hermione nearly screamed when he wasn't in his classroom.”

Harry shook his head after remembering all of the broken glass he’d seen on the floor of Snape’s office. “He was in his office.”

“Yeah, I know that now.” Ron said as he rolled his eyes. “Thought Malfoy’d stop us from finding him, you know.”

“Malfoy?” Harry asked. Despite worrying about what sort of detention he’d get for cursing Malfoy, and worrying if Malfoy was truly alright, Harry hadn’t really considered what the ferret had gotten up to in the last few days.

Dumbledore mentioned him going to the hospital wing, but beyond that, Harry hadn’t had time to check what had happened .

“He was loitering around the classroom, seemed like he wanted someone to give him trouble.”

He must’ve been fine if he was no longer in the Hospital Wing.

Harry grimaced. “That’s just what we need.”

“Well, Hermione distracted him long enough for me to sneak away and find Snape, but it was dodgy.” Ron said as he wrinkled his nose.

“Very.” Harry nodded.

“Bet he’ll try something in Potions today, sodding git. We haven’t seen him since that awful—”

“Interesting conversation?” Snape asked in a dry voice.

Harry and Ron each jerked and looked toward Snape. Harry spied a tell tale sign of annoyance twitching near Snape’s right eye.

Hermione’s eyes widened reproachfully, and Harry didn’t need to hear her speak to know she wanted for the three of them to make a good impression on Snape.

“Sorry.” Harry said quietly.

“Forgiven.” Snape said.

Ron’s jaw dropped open, though it snapped shut with a click seconds later.

“Given that we are discussing the possible failures of this charm, you both ought to pay attention.” Snape said as his dark eyes narrowed on Ron. “This is for immediate relief, but it’s worth attempting.” He said as he set the book on his desk. “Casting it won’t hurt, however, this doesn’t explain what the curse may do, should it be removed. The charm is transitory.”

Harry nodded slowly.

“Does it go somewhere else?” Ron asked in a high voice.

Harry twisted to look at Ron once more and worried momentarily if Ron thought the ribbons might jump from Harry to him.

“The term ‘transitory’ means, ‘not permanent’.” Snape explained as he pinched the bridge of his nose. “It isn’t corporeal, it can’t leap from one person to the next.”

The tips of Ron’s ears lit up with a bright red blush.

Harry gently knocked his shoulder into Ron’s and hoped he wouldn’t take Snape’s short temper personally. They’d all had a rough night, Ron and Hermione included, going by Ron’s fear of waking up to a murder.

“This only offers a temporary reprieve, in which case, you’ll find yourself under the effects of the curse once more as soon as it wears off.” Snape said as he looked at Harry.

“Anything to bring her down a peg.” Harry said fiercely.

Snape shook his head. “Don’t let her know you have this.” He said softly. “Despite her seemingly inept behaviour, Lupin could be right.”

Harry swallowed heavily after remembering Lupin’s comment about Umbridge’s willingness to hurt others. While he hadn’t been twisted around her memories, he’d suffered her cruel small smile enough to know how much she enjoyed hurting people. She and Tom would likely get on. For all Harry knew, she wanted him to find a way out of her curse. Perhaps it’d been a test.

“What could Professor Lupin be right about?” Hermione asked.

“He believes she’s capable of far more dangerous actions if pushed.” Snape said. “That being said, don’t push her, despite what you may want to do.” He said as his eyes swept over the three of them.

“What do you think she’ll do, if we push her?” Ron asked.

Snape considered his question as he rolled his wand between his fingertips. “I’d prefer not to dwell on ‘if’ questions.” He said silkily. “If you’re inclined to find out what will happen, push her.”

Ron blanched and sat a little straighter.

“You have a Defense lesson today,” Snape said after a moment.

“What if she—” Harry started before swallowing heavily. He couldn’t imagine what Umbridge might do if Harry had proof of finding a way around her curse. What if she removed the antidote like Dumbledore had and outed Harry to his entire class?

“I’ll check with Professor Dumbledore.” Snape said, guessing Harry’s meaning when it was clear he wouldn’t finish his sentence. “Either you’ll attend or you’ll find yourself indisposed. I will inform you before the lesson.”

Hermione tossed a confused look between the two of them.

“What—” Ron started anxiously.

“Later.” Harry said, cutting him off quickly.

Hermione inhaled slowly and nodded. “Alright. You could teach us as well, the charm, I mean, so we can help.”

“Possibly.” Snape said. “Without a complete grasp of the pulmonary system, you may accidentally leave a piece of the curse present.”

“That would just mean the charm wouldn’t work then, wouldn’t it?” Ron asked.

“It may still allow the curse to respond, though in varying degrees.” Snape nodded before flipping his wrist and checking his watch. “Do you want to test it now?” He asked.

Harry nodded as did Ron and Hermione.

“Clear your mind. Remove all thoughts of the curse and any affiliated effects or causes.” Snape said as he picked the book up once more. “Try not to anticipate a response.”

Harry’s eyes slipped shut and he imagined himself flying over the Quidditch Pitch.

Snape whispered a long, complicated line of Latin and Harry jerked as he felt a shower of sparks rain down on him.

He peeked one eye open and glanced at his hands. They looked just as they had moments earlier, making Harry wonder if the spell was all in his head. It seemed almost rude, given how Harry’s curse was similarly in his head.

Hermione snickered and Harry looked curiously toward her.

“Sorry!” She said as she covered her mouth. “Your hair’s gone all staticky.”

Harry rubbed his hands over his hair and tried to set it right. Ron joined in for a brief moment before Snape flicked his wand and the electrical feeling dissipated.

“Aside from a mild static effect, how did you find that?” Snape asked.

“Fine.” Harry said. “I could breathe and everything.”

Snape hummed. “This time, imagine saying what would trigger the curse, but don’t say anything out loud.”

“Wait,” Harry said as a thought slipped into the back of his mind. “I, erm, If we trigger the curse and you put a temporary hold on it, wouldn’t that hold it off for however long the charm lasts?”

“Ideally.” Snape said. “Though this may wear off in minutes.” His eyes narrowed on the book again as he read over the page. “There’s nothing here to suggest this is a functional solution to this curse. You’re imagining this is a temporary solution.”

“But it kind of is a solution.” Harry said.

“It solves the problem.” Ron nodded.

“If it leaves you terrified of when it will wear off, it’s only delaying the problem.” Snape said. “A delay isn’t a solution.”

“A delay in it’s effects is better than enduring the effects.” Harry said as he crossed his arms.

“The delay is not the issue, the curse is.” Snape said carefully. “Would you like me to continue this spell?” He asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes.” Harry said as he bit back a crabby response and resisted the urge to throw himself backwards into the couch. He idly searched for Ms Eileen’s knit cover, but stopped after spotting his stuffed dog tucked into the crease between the cushion and armrest. He hoped neither Ron nor Hermione noticed it. “Please.”

“Then imagine triggering the response without physically doing so.” Snape said.

Harry’s eyes slid shut once more and he found himself circling the Quidditch Pitch. He imagined screaming about Voldemort’s rebirth and saw taffy pink ribbons launch toward his broom.

Static flickered in between the ribbons and kept them from wrapping around Harry for more than a few seconds, but it left a deeply uncomfortable sensation behind. An electric smell ballooned around him, though it wasn’t nearly as awful as the burnt ozone from the graveyard, nor the way London smelled when it burned. If Harry knew what melting ribbons smelled like, he might’ve thought that was the source.

Harry sniffed and shook his head before realizing the sensation had already dissipated.

His eyes dropped open and he looked up at Snape in time to spy a worried crease disappear from his forehead.

“Opinions?” Snape asked.

“Less good.” Harry nodded. “But I think it worked, in a way. The ribbons couldn’t stay for long. They still—erm, they,” He spun his fingers around each other as he tried to describe the sensation, but found himself making less sense before giving up and huffing in disappointment.

Snape hummed and checked his watch once more.

“Should we test to see if it works during the real thing?” Ron asked. “Not that I want you to go through it, I mean, but so we have a way to stall it.”

“I’m more inclined to see how long this charm lasts. Given that it works when the curse is internally triggered, it will likely work when it is externally triggered, barring what magnitude of effects you’re subjected to.” Snape said.

Ron nodded. “Alright, so you cast it and we check in throughout the day to see when it wears off.”

The pinched crease reappeared on Snape’s forehead and he looked toward Harry. “Is that what you want?”

Harry nodded firmly. The smell wasn’t close enough to anything too worrying for him to be readily nervous and he was desperate for a bit of control. The idea of attending Umbridge’s class with it gave him an eager excitement, and despite Snape’s warning, he almost wanted to push Umbridge, just so she could watch him slip around her curse.

“If anything changes, come to my office.” Snape said as he repeated the long string of Latin. “It’s charmed to alert me when a student is present.”

Sparks fell over Harry, and he felt his hair flutter upwards as the static wove around him. Without imagining ribbons, Harry could hardly tell the spell was active.

It might be an issue if he bumped into anyone and shocked them, but otherwise, he felt good.

“What about Umb-Professor Umbridge?” Hermione asked. “Should we wait to hear if Harry’s attending?”

Snape shook his head and moved toward his desk as he grabbed a fluffy quill, slipping it between the pages to act as a bookmark. “As I said, I will find you before that lesson and let you know. For now, go to breakfast.”

Ron leant down and scooped his book bag up before handing Harry his own bag.

Harry waved a quick goodbye and Snape mouthed ‘write mother,’ in response before following Ron and Hermione out the door. They cautiously skirted wandering Slytherins and double checked for Malfoy around every corner before making it to the Great Hall.

“Muffliato,” Harry whispered as flicked his wand around the three of them.

Hermione paused as she fell into a seat beside Harry. “She didn’t try to poison you again, did she?”

“Or did she try another curse?” Ron asked as he took a seat across from them.

“Worse.” Harry said as he looked idly around them.

He filled them in on the events of last night with a gracious avoidance of his meltdown and whispered the shortest explanation he could on what happened over the last few days with Tom. He glanced at his knuckles as he spoke and imagined the sharp sting Umbridge’s ruler had left, along with the barrage of memories. Neither Ron nor Hermione seemed to have much of an appetite afterwards, not that Harry blamed them. He was glad they agreed to explore the phenomenon more fully though. He paused in his story and twisted around to check how many students had wandered in to eat breakfast, but paused as his eyes fell on Ginny. Something he’d thought last night trickled into the back of his mind.

‘Never trust anything that can think for itself if you can't see where it keeps its brain.’

Ginny had more experience with a young Tom Riddle than any of them.

She’d already talked with him as well. She’d know if Harry was possessed, given that she’d been possessed herself.

“Hang on.” Harry said as he jumped to his feet. Hermione and Ron trailed quickly after him as he fell into a spot across from her. “Ginny!”

Ginny paused mid bite in her porridge as she looked up at the three of them. “G’morning?”

“Ginny, er, hi,” Harry nodded with an awkward wave before trying to figure out how best to ask for her help. He realized with a sudden nervousness that she may not want anything to do with Tom Riddle and Harry couldn’t really fault her for that. “You, er—”

“Remember the dodgy bloke from the diary?” Ron asked, having caught onto Harry’s intention.

Ginny dropped her spoon into the bowl and sent a small ring of mushy oats dribbling over the table.

“We need your help.” Ron said firmly.

“If you feel up to it.” Hermione added, quickly catching on as well.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! I rewrote this thing in the last two days cause it just didn’t feel right, but it feel good now. I hope you guys enjoyed it! Please leave a comment below if you did! 🖤
Chapter 17 by WiCeBa
“I don’t understand.” Ginny said as she paced near a dusty chalkboard.

“It’s—” Harry stammered. He should’ve taken more time to properly explain why he needed her help, rather than solely asking for it. It wasn’t easy to talk about or around Tom Riddle though, especially not with someone who suffered by his hand as Ginny had. “It’s complicated, but I just need to know what he-erm, what he said to you, or-or how he acted? I know it’s him, I just have to check.”

“What does that mean? If you have something of his and are sure of it, then why bother asking me?” Ginny asked with a confused look.

“To double check.” Hermione answered as she dropped her book bag next to a crooked desk. She stepped through bright blocks of sunlight before she flicked her wand at the door and windows, creating a faint humming sound as her muffling charm came into effect.

Harry was beginning to think of this shabby, unused classroom as theirs given how much time they’d recently spent in it.

Ron sniffed. “Because Ruffles isn’t willing—”

Harry twisted and opened his mouth to begin explaining Snape’s nickname in case she didn’t already know, but a red flush flooded Ginny’s face and she began to speak quickly.

“And you think I am?!” She said in a strained voice as she rounded on Ron and Hermione. “You two don’t know what he was like! You don’t understand! If you have something of his, he’s not going to let you just check—”

“But that’s why we have to check!” Ron begged.

Harry nodded. “Because if he was anything like who I dealt with last night—”

“Did you find another diary?!” Ginny asked. The colour drained from her face and a stark, almost petrified look washed over her. “Give it to Ruffles or throw it away!”

“We haven’t found anything,” Harry held his hands out in an attempt to slow them all down. “No diaries, or any of his other things either.”

Ginny inhaled heavily and tucked her arms around her ribs. “Please explain what’s going on then.” She said firmly.

“It’s not exactly easy.” Harry said. “We don’t know anything.”

“You three always know more than you let on.” Ginny said darkly before looking at Harry. “I know Tom’s back, but I’m worried for you. Does Ruffles know?”

“Ginny—” Ron began exhaustedly.

“No,” Ginny said as she twisted to stare at Ron. “I’m not asking for you three to give me your life stories, but I’d like a bit of honesty about what’s going on for once. You wandered over the Common Room all last night and were acting as if you expected someone to die.” She said before turning toward Harry. “You weren’t with them either and I honestly thought it might be you.”

Harry wondered if Ron and Ginny often argued about Voldemort, as he couldn’t remember having seen them fight about him before. They’d fought about hundreds of other things of course, but those were average arguments, like who flew which broomstick or who’s turn it was to write their Great Aunt Muriel.

“We’re always honest.” Hermione said in a similarly exhausted tone. “Or we try to be.”

Harry scratched his previous concern and now began to worry about how much arguing the three of them had done at Grimmauld Place. He’d apparently missed a conversation over the summer. He couldn’t remember Ginny having been this upset with them over anything while they’d been there. At least not openly.

“You’re honest to a fault.” Ginny said. “You’re honest about what you need, but never why you need it. And I want to help you, I always do, but none of you make it easy.”

“But you’ll help us?” Harry asked.

“If you agree to be a bit more open about what’s going on, yes. Or, I’ll try to.” Ginny nodded. “Though I don’t love the thought of going into intimate detail about Tom.”

Harry felt his shoulders slump downwards, but he tried to keep his hopes high. He didn’t want to push Ginny, seeing as he knew how frightening and humiliated being targeted by Tom felt. She’d talked about her experiences within the Chamber with Ron’s parents, which Harry felt was already a lot to ask of anyone, given how he felt about the graveyard. He just needed to know how Tom behaved in the diary though, and from there they could work out if the two Tom’s they’d dealt with were actually Voldemort or not.

“That’s not really helping.” Ron said softly. “It is, I mean, don’t get me wrong—”

“You have no room to complain about how helpful someone is!” Ginny snapped.

“What!?” Ron’s voice squeaked from him.

“It’s true.” Ginny shook her head ‘no’ as her lips pressed into a thin line. “You’ve specifically told me not to worry and talk about how things are all under control, and then a week goes by and we hear about how you ran off with Snuffles, or had a deathmatch in a chess game!”

“Those were separate occasions!” Ron snapped. “And I never ran off with Snuffles, he broke my leg and dragged me away!”

“I think—” Hermione’s voice was swallowed by the volume of Ron and Ginny’s argument.

Harry looked at her and worried briefly if either of them should break Ron and Ginny up.

Hermione seemed as lost as Harry, though rather than looking nervously over the two of them as Harry was doing, she fell into a cracked wooden chair and dropped her chin into her palms.

Harry scratched his hands over his wrists and worried about how long their argument would take.

An uncomfortable urge to blurt out anything at all about their most recent issues rushed through him, but he couldn’t imagine that helping. He didn’t fancy explaining much either. He’d already explained everything to Sirius and Lupin, and that’d been awful enough.

Watching Ron and Ginny threw his worries into a spiral though, and he found himself unconsciously sorting through the most recent events in search of the least harmful truth he could find.

He debated explaining how his aging issue was back, but he struck that from the list quickly. It opened too many new concerns.

Elaborating on Umbridge’s gagging curse could help endear them to Ginny, but Harry couldn’t explain anything without babbling, and Lupin had warned him before about how babbling can be more dangerous than it looked. She knew about what had happened in his first class anyway.

Bringing up Umbridge could be quite helpful though, given how much everyone hated her.

He wondered what Ms Eileen would say, and if she’d offer any information to Ginny. She’d probably know precisely what to say and how to say it without coming across as if she were begging for help.

Harry idly considered bringing up Ms Eileen and Snape, if that would help. Maybe he could share the small bright spot of memories they’d made in August.

A fierce possessiveness slipped around him and kept a selfish hold on them though.

They were Harry’s. They weren’t for anyone else.

He had so few memories of happy moments from when he’d been actually six. Each and every one of them were stained with the Dursley’s bitter indifference and disregard for him. Harry couldn’t bear to part with the happy moments he’d found over this past summer.

Logically, he knew sharing memories didn’t tarnish them. Snape and Sirius shared stories about his parents, and Harry didn’t feel as if the memories were changed at all by their passage to him. He cared for them as gently as he could. Ron and Hermione knew how important the stories about Harry’s parents were to him, and they were as careful and kind about them as they could be as well, given that stories were immaterial.

In the back of his mind, Harry could imagine them treating his memories from summer with the same care. Ginny would likely be the same.

These thoughts didn’t settle the anger still simmering in his chest though.

“That’s my point, Ron!” Ginny said in a significantly quieter voice than before. “You three always wind up in danger!”

Harry blinked up and looked toward Hermione. She had her fingers pressed against her eyelids and seemed to be fighting off a headache.

Ron flung his arms high in the air. “It’s a war, Ginny. We’re all in danger.”

Harry tried to remember if he’d chosen a truth to tell Ginny, but instead, blurted out the first honest, but tame fact he could think of. “Umbridge is here to stop a student army from forming. Ruffles told me.”

“What?” Ginny asked as she paused and the stark anger on her face drifted into a blank look.

“She believes Dumbledore is building an army, and she’ll be the one to stop it.” Harry said. “Or, Fudge believes that?”

Hermione sat up and looked confusedly between Harry and Ron.

“Umbridge believes Dumbledore is raising a student army, or, I guess, Fudge is worried about Dumbledore overtaking the Ministry with a student army.” Harry said. He remembered sitting on Snape’s couch and worrying about being sent away after hearing Nagini. Snape had been positive Harry would remain at school, given Umbridge’s fear of Dumbledore training him, and so far, he’d been correct.

“That’s a joke.” Ron said. “It can’t be real.”

“Umbridge pulled me into her office last night because of that mess with Malfoy. She believes Dumbledore’s training me in dark magic.” Harry said as he crossed his arms.

“Sure, yeah.” Ron said in an ironic voice. “A load of underage students against aurors and unspeakables.” He sniffed and rubbed his hand beneath his nose. “That’d work.”

“It could happen.” Ginny said with an oddly fierce look.

“Come off it Ginny,” Ron smiled. “Imagine Colin Creevey up against someone like Moody—”

“You’re thinking of him as he is currently.” Ginny said. “He’s clever and capable. If he had the time, and if we had a professor who actually taught Defense rather than had us read from a book, he could be—”

“Gin, he barely comes up to my elbow—”

“You think size matters?” Ginny asked with a sharp look. Her arms loosened around her ribs and she gestured toward Harry. “Harry was child-sized when he knocked out Avery over the summer.”

Harry swallowed heavily and shook his head ‘no’. “I just surprised him.” He said weakly.

Ron stepped backwards and began stuttering out an argument about why Avery alone was different from the entire Ministry.

A bright urge flickered across Hermione’s face and she stood abruptly, silencing Ron. “Professor Lupin said Ruffles should prepare to teach us, but you said they wouldn’t openly go against Umbridge,” She said, pointing to Harry. “They told us not to push her either, but if we—this, this wouldn’t be pushing her.”

“What wouldn’t be pushing her?” Ron asked.

“A group! It wouldn’t even be against the rules!” Hermione said excitedly. “In exchange, of course.” She added with a polite nod to Ginny.

“Exchange for what?” Harry asked. “What will we be doing?”

“She argued with McGonagall last Friday, we know she has no intentions to actually teach us!” Hermione said.

Ginny cocked her head to the right and a confused look crinkled over her forehead. “Start at the beginning, Hermione. You’ve gone too far ahead.”

“It won’t be pushing because it’s just a study group!” Hermione said with wide eyes. “They’re all over Hogwarts already. We can compile a list of questions and spells we’re struggling with and share it with Ruffles. In exchange, Ginny can help us with Tom.”

“A study group.” Ron said dully. “That’s your big plan. How did you get ‘form a study group’ from the Ministry wetting themselves over a student army?”

Hermione wrinkled her nose. “I thought of a study group after Ginny mentioned Colin, not from the discussion about the Ministry, though I won’t deny that forming a group makes me feel a bit more like I’m actually doing something.” She tapped her shoe against one of the old desks. “I’ve already been helping Neville and Dean on the side, adding Colin would make it into a group. It would be quite helpful to have a place to actually practice. I would have to rearrange my own study schedule of course,” Hermione said as she spun on her heel and seemed to mentally organize her calendar. “But we’ll have Ruffles, and Harry can help quite a bit by encouraging them to help! And that’s a bit of honesty for Ginny, a whole plan.” She smiled widely and nodded.

Ginny’s eyes softened before meeting Harry’s. “I don’t need to be paid to help you with Tom.” She said. “I just want you three to be safe and to share what was going on for once. I want to help. That’s what I meant by honesty.”

“You’d be surprised Ginny,” Ron said with a nod. “We’ve had a lot more help this term than any other.”

“We’ve gone to Ruffles with a few things already.” Hermione said after turning back around. “Harry, maybe you should talk with Ginny alone while Ron and I find Neville?”

“What?” Ron asked as he looked between the three of them. “Now?”

“Yes, now,” Hermione said shortly. “Breakfast is only halfway over and we have time. As curious as I am about Tom, I don’t think all of us being present is going to make for the calmest experience.” She added with a subtle not toward Ron.

Harry wondered if she worried about how concerned Ron would become for Ginny during their conversation. Why would he agree to help Harry only to change his mind halfway through?

Ron huffed and glanced concerningly at Harry and Ginny both before trailing slowly after Hermione.

They slipped out the door before Harry could say another word. He was no longer sure if he should bother Ginny about Tom, given how little he liked to delve into his own experiences with him. Snape said Ms Eileen would be able to help them with guessing how true the memories Harry saw were, and Harry found himself warming more to that plan than his own.

Had Ms Eileen actually known Tom though? Had she spoken with him and as much as Ginny had, or had she only watched him from the afar?

“So, Umbridge pulled you into her office yesterday?” Ginny asked curiously.

Harry nodded. “She’s been, erm, horrible.”

He silently promised himself not to badger or drag any answers from her, even if he was desperate.

“She’s dreadful.” Ginny said as she waved her wand over the floor and cleared away what little dust and dirt had gathered there. “I can see why she’d be here to stop a student army though, no matter how hilarious Ron found it.” She added in a thoughtful voice. “We’re just as capable as them, but easily overlooked. Ministry officials wouldn’t think twice about seeing a group of us at the Ministry, especially if we claimed to be there for a tour or something equally routine. It’s more insidious that she’s actively removing our choice and ability to defend ourselves from our own Ministry.”

Harry nodded.

He was idly reminded of the way Uncle Vernon used to overwhelm Harry after finding out he’d cast accidental magic.

A large hand flew over Harry’s head, forcing Harry to duck to avoid being smacked.

He forced a nervous shiver away after knocking into the wall behind him and fearfully searched for an escape route. Uncle Vernon crowded around him though, leaving him frozen in place.

Aunt Petunia clicked her tongue and muttered about the note Harry’s teacher sent home.

Uncle Vernon clipped Harry’s ear with another forceful swing before snagging his hair in a tight grip. ‘What did I say about funny business?’

‘I didn’t—’

‘You did!’


Harry nervously skirted around his uncle for years for fear of being trapped and shouted at.

Uncle Vernon knew he’d cast magic, but kept every ounce of information around it secret, so Harry had no means to defend himself with it or explain how it happened. Maybe he wanted Harry to be terrified of magic and therefore choose to lead a muggle life when he found out about its existence, like Aunt Petunia wanted for Lily?

Overwhelming Harry only made him more fearful of Uncle Vernon though, rather than magic itself. Umbridge was making the same mistake, though perhaps in a different way.

She denied Hogwarts an education, and left students defenseless and unable to argue against her. Harry felt it only made students angier and more interested in finding sneakier ways to attain practical defense experience.

“Harry?”

“Erm, Umbridge—” Harry started before swallowing heavily. He couldn’t easily explain what happened without bringing up Umbridge and her ruler, and he knew now that Ginny would need at least a few of the details, given what she’d said about honesty. “She—she might try to hit you with a ruler, if you get detention with her.”

Ginny jerked and her eyes widened as sat on the floor before gesturing for him to sit. “What?”

“She tried with me.” Harry said, swallowing the small lie down.

“That’s awful, Harry, I’m so sorry.” She said as Harry settled slowly across from her.

Harry nodded. “But, see, she brought up these strange memories with it.”

Confusion flickered over Ginny’s face before her eyes swung low and slipped across Harry’s knuckles. “Strange how?” She asked after meeting Harry’s eyes once more.

Harry resisted the urge to rub his thumb over his knuckles. He silently thanked Snape for having healed them as best he could instead.

“I’ve never been hit by a ruler before, but I have memories from someone who had.” Harry said slowly. He paused and waited to see if the tight band of pressure he’d felt last night would appear. “Ruffles thought I’d just repressed it.”

Ginny nodded.

“But I don’t think I repressed anything. I really have never been hit with a ruler, but I knew it’d happened before to someone else, loads of times in fact. At the orphanage.” Harry said cautiously. He couldn’t be sure if talking about Tom would make him appear. “Did Tom ever mention anything like that?”

“He was far more interested in me.” Ginny said as she slumped forward. She wrapped her arms around her knees and dropped her chin on top of them. “He asked about you quite a bit and was endlessly curious about how You-Know-Who died. He didn’t believe me when I said he actually had.”

“Did he ever bring up the Blitz?” Harry asked. “Or how he asked to stay at Hogwarts even if it were closed?”

“He mentioned Hogwarts nearly closing once.” Ginny nodded and picked at a loose thread on her jeans. “It’d been when I panicked about the school closing. He was excellent at calming me down. I would stop worrying for brief moments, because Tom could predict what would happen in the near future and tell me how I should behave about it. I thought he was a genius, but I know now that he’d been possessing me and forcing those events to occur.”

“He never let on about being, erm, psychotic?” Harry asked as he thought of how Tom felt about those who’d died during the blitz. He cringed inwardly at his own stupid question and was about to apologize, but Ginny beat him to it.

She gave him a dull look before bitterly laughing. “I was eleven, he knew better. He was careful to always be kind in his notes.”

“He only ever wrote to you?” Harry asked. The Tom who Harry had spoken with far preferred sharing memories to writing about them, though it was difficult to be sure, given how few notes they’d actually written to one another.

“There wasn’t much else he could do.” Ginny said with a shrug.

“He never showed you a memory though, never let you, erm, see him, or feel how he felt?” Harry asked.

Ginny blinked concerningly at him and shook her head ‘no’. “I think I’d have been far more worried if he had. Dad warned us loads of times about magical items offering to share anything with us. I think the only reason I trusted Tom was because he made it seem as if he only wanted to write to me and chat because he was lonely. I was just stupid and I bought every word.”

An uncomfortable worry bubbled up Harry’s throat. Snape had probably been right not to speak with the Tom in Harry’s head. Harry had wanted him to interact with Tom because of how pleased Tom had been after Snape justified his anger.

Maybe Harry had pushed Snape to interact because Tom wanted Snape?

Snape hadn’t interacted because he’d known better, despite how much Harry’d cried, shouted and begged for him to help. He shuddered at his own actions and wished he’d been more aware of what had been going on before he’d run away.

He needed to apologize. He needed to apologize and to be aware if it happened again.

Ginny brushed at a stray tear and mumbled an apology.

“Ginny—”

“It’s fine, Harry.” Ginny said in a quiet voice. “I know better now.”

Harry knew now just how out of his depth he was when it came to handling Voldemort’s manipulation. He despised himself for having dredged Ginny’s horrible experience to the surface, and desperately searched for a way to help her feel less awful.

“When I wrote in it, he showed me a memory.” Harry said softly.

Ginny looked up and the flush drained from her face, leaving her worryingly pale.

“I didn’t know better.” Harry whispered. “He must’ve known I’d fall for it.” He’d fallen for it more than once, given last night.

“Dad told me that every word I wrote let him in.” Ginny began carefully. “That he was able to take control because I’d shared my life with him.” She gave a hollow laugh. “And I don’t mean this rudely, please believe me Harry, but given how rarely you let people in, I doubt he was able to gain any control of you.”

Harry almost wished he’d kept his mouth shut. He was glad to be aware of how dangerous his pushing Snape to interact with Tom was, but he was no longer sure how to handle the voice in his head.

The silent room sank around them, and he found himself wishing Ron or Hermione had stayed. They’d likely have made this process longer, and asked far more questions, potentially forcing Ginny to leave, but maybe they’d have made it more comfortable as well. They made Harry more comfortable.

Harry snuck a hand around his mum’s pendant and breathed a bit easier after it warmed beneath his touch.

“What did you find, by the way?” Ginny asked quietly.

Harry blinked and sat straighter.

“Of Tom’s, I mean.” Ginny said. “I know you said you hadn’t found anything, but you must’ve found something, if you saw his memories.”

“Oh.” Harry said weakly. “Nothing.”

Ginny sighed and turned her head to rest on her knees as she stared at dust floating idly through a sun beam.


——




Hedwig chirped as Harry hid, curled up next to her. He scratched out a quick note to Sirius, but found himself at a loss for what to write when it came to Ms Eileen. Snape said she’d been frustrated about how quiet her house was now, but that didn’t help Harry with guessing about what to write.

Maybe she wanted Harry to discuss his melt down, and how he felt about Snape’s refusal to interact with Tom. Perhaps she wanted to impress upon him the importance of ignoring voices that begged to share memories with you.

Harry huffed.

A letter like that falling into the wrong hands could be deadly. He wanted to know what she and Snape talked about while he’d hidden Snape’s bedroom, as well as what reasons Snape had given her for Harry’s episode.

Perhaps she’d asked about why Harry saw Tom’s memories, and upon hearing about Umbridge’s actions, expected for Snape to intervene and for the school to close just as Ron had this morning? Maybe she’d have been able to explain the glass on the floor and the fight Snape seemed to have gotten into before Harry arrived through the floo as well.

The last time Harry saw broken glass around Snape was when Harry brought up Lily.

A large owl hooted loudly next to Harry and fluttered down to the lower landing as he began to painstakingly scribble his questions.

‘M. E,

‘How are you? How’s your knitting going?

‘I miss you and wish you were here we were with you. Gobstones would be grand right now rather than. I think I worried scared bothered S a lot last night. Were they angry with me? What did they say to you? They said you talked about what happened, what did they say? Did they bring up any arguments with anyone besides me? I wish I’d known not to talk with I wish I were more knowledgeable about what to do in those situations, I won’t let it happen again. Thank you for sending my the stuffed dog, I was very happy to see it.’


Thinking of Ms Eileen reminded Harry once more of Dumbledore, and he added another question to his letter as he tried to push away his simmering anger.

‘Has D visited spoken with you about the house? Have you heard from them at all?’

She’d always been honest in the past. The only way he felt she’d avoid directly answering him was if she felt the post wasn’t safe. He hoped she didn’t need to move now that Dumbledore knew where she lived.

The unofficial Gobstones runner up of 1995

“But what did he say, Draco?” Pansy Parkinson’s voice echoed nervously from below.

Harry froze and looked up from his letter. He cautiously searched over the Owlery for Malfoy’s eagle owl and let out a sigh after spotting it on the lower landing.

“Father wasn’t very inclined to say anything,” Malfoy said before giving a frustrated sigh. “He was upset of course, but more so about the insult than the injury.”

“The insult?” Parkinson asked. “You were in so much pain that you couldn’t walk without wanting to pull your own legs off and he cares about the—”

“He’s angry because of what it meant when he attended Hogwarts.” Malfoy said, cutting Parkinson off. He mumbled something beneath his breath, and Harry strained his ears to hear what he said. “Mother tried to remind him of how few people remember our old customs. Apparently, it was a popular curse at Hogwarts until Dumbledore became Headmaster. Aunt Bella said they used to sort out mudbloods with it.”

Harry dropped his head onto his knees and tried to ignore the sick feeling clawing up his throat.

He wasn’t sure how long the curse had been popular for, before Dumbledore took office, but knowing that it’d been used to target muggle-borns left a foul taste in his mouth. He still didn’t feel as if Dumbledore had any right to search his mind, and he doubted he’d ever feel differently, but a small piece of him could see why Dumbledore had been worried about Harry having cast something with such a dubious history.

Maybe it was a favourite of Tom’s?

“This is exactly what I’ve been talking about. We aren’t learning about important pieces of our own culture.” Parkinson hissed. Her soft footsteps echoed from below as she passed beneath Harry’s hiding spot.

Harry tucked tighter into his hiding spot.

An oddly familiar floral smell wafted toward upwards and Harry thought of Aunt Petunia’s garden as he unconsciously searched for which flower it belonged to.

“I don’t have a problem with mudbloods existing,” Parkinson said. “But when we have to pander and sacrifice our traditions for their comfort—”

“We’re getting our traditions back.” Malfoy whispered back as he cut her off once more. “Soon Hogwarts will be just as it was when You-Know-Who attended.”

Parkinson huffed.

Rows of bright carnations bloomed in his imagination as he realized which flower she smelled like. The long hallway Harry dreamt of drifted into the forefront of thoughts and he tried to guess why the carnations would be present there, before the two began to whisper again.

“How are you going to get Potter back?” Parkinson asked. “We’re not just letting it go, are we?”

Malfoy made a bitter sound. “I think I’ll cast the same curse back at him.”

“How are we going to learn the curse, did your father send a book?” Parkinson whispered conspiratorially. “Maybe we’ll get his wand from him first, just to avoid you being cursed again?”

Malfoy’s eagle owl abruptly soared upwards past Harry’s hiding spot in a burst of feathers before disappearing out of a particularly dirty window. It sped off on the bright horizon and became a dot in the sky moments later.

“I heard he’s taking Remedial Potions, maybe we’ll catch him in the dungeons?” Malfoy said as his boots echoed from below. Harry found himself wondering if his boots stank of the same cleaning product his father used. “I’ll meet you in Charms, I have a meeting with Umbridge.”

Harry’s heart plummeted into his stomach and he forced himself to stay still and wait to hear if Malfoy would explain what he’d talk about with Umbridge.

He wondered if Ron or Hermione still had extendable ears on hand.

Parkinson hummed a compassionate sound. “Charm your eyes so they won’t burn at the sight of that hideous cardigan.”

Their voices drifted away and Harry waited in his cramped hiding spot for half a moment longer before jolting upwards. Despite how badly he wanted to apologize to Snape for having tried to guilt him into talking with Tom, he didn’t think Snape would appreciate Harry turning up in the dungeons unannounced. He’d need to wait until either Snape found him before his Defense lesson, or they met for their usual meeting time after their Potions lesson to apologize.

He needed to talk with Ron and Hermione, and see what was happening with their study group as well.

Hedwig gave a soft hoot and Harry turned toward her before spotting the letter he’d written to Sirius lying next to her left foot.

He looked over the wrecked letter he’d written to Ms Eileen and pushed himself to rewrite it on another scrap of parchment, this time with far fewer scratched out words.

An uncomfortable nervousness crept across his shoulders at sending the letter, as he was unsure what Ms Eileen might say in her response and he was concerned about having asked so many questions, but he handed the two letters to Hedwig and whispered their destinations in spite of it.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! Please leave a comment below if you enjoyed it!
Chapter 18 by WiCeBa
“Now this.” Ron began with a whisper as he peeked around the corner.

Harry blinked at the extendable ear dangling near the crooked wooden floor.

“This feels right.” Ron said. “I’m all for study groups and thinking of articles, but we haven’t been able to actually spy in ages.”

Was spying on Umbridge pushing her?

Harry knew the answer to that question, but he shoved it to the back of his mind. He almost wished Hermione hadn’t had to run to class, as she might’ve been able to keep Harry and Ron from doing exactly what Snape asked them not to. The thought of leaving such a dangerous conversation to chance didn’t sit well with Harry though.

He far preferred to know exactly how much information Umbridge had on him, and how much of it she shared with Malfoy.

He couldn’t help but worry about whether or not she would question Malfoy about the curse Harry cast, and further, what Lucius Malfoy thought of it? Umbridge and Lucius were close, so it would make sense for her to rely on Draco if she couldn’t get what she needed from Harry. She may ask Draco any number of questions that begged Lucius’s input, potentially including what he knew about Harry’s whereabouts over the summer, and while Draco couldn’t have known about Harry’s time in the Order’s Headquarters, nor Germany, he did know Harry had been six. Harry had no difficulty predicting the two of them enjoying that.

His mum’s necklace hummed to life as a worrying realization came over him. If Umbridge mentioned Harry transforming into a six year old and flooing to Snape, rather than Madam Pomfrey, Draco would likely think it odd and tell Lucius.

If Lucius knew—

A crisp memory flickered in the back of his mind, and he thought of how he and Snape snuck through Spinner’s End on their way to visit Sirius. Snape very specifically said, ‘as far as anyone is aware, you are no longer six’.

Snape hadn’t shared any updates on Harry’s condition with Voldemort.

Harry spent a brief moment debating whether or not Lucius would speak with Snape before bringing it to Voldemort, but was unable to guess at any outcome, as writhing flashes of Bellatrix tore through his thoughts. Voldemort would know Snape lied, again.

“Umbridge doesn’t have her classroom under an alert spell, does she?” Ron asked as he looked around the corner once more. “This would go poorly if she did.”

Harry shrugged. “I dunno, but Lu-Moony said she could be more skilled than she’s letting on.”

“I can’t imagine Umbridge knowing detection spells.” Ron said with his own shrug.

The urge to rush down to the dungeons and warn Snape rushed through him. He couldn’t be sure Umbridge would bring Harry up to Malfoy though, nor could he be sure Snape didn’t already know about it.

“Harry?”

Indecision warred in his thoughts and led him from one horrible outcome to the next. He disliked admitting it, but spying on Umbridge and knowing exactly what she knew was the only option Harry felt comfortable enough pursuing.

He quickly imagined Umbridge’s office and mentally shut his eyes as he passed over the breathtaking anger he’d witnessed during his meeting last night before searching his memory for what skills she’d shown off. She locked the door with a clever enough spell that it took Dumbledore several tries to break it. There was no way of knowing if that were true, but he also had no other answer for the muffled sounds he’d heard during their meeting. She also blocked her floo.

Harry didn’t have a wealth of experience when it came to keeping others out of areas he considered private, much as he wished he did, but he assumed if Dumbledore wanted to go somewhere in Hogwarts, it would take more than a determined effort to keep him from arriving.

“It’s probably warded.” Harry said firmly. “Maybe we ought to go about this in a different way?”

“We aren’t exactly flush with options!”

“Do you know anything that might let us sneak through without being caught?” Harry asked sharply. He worried once more about how angry Snape might be if he discovered Harry spied despite his warning and calmly reminded himself that Snape would only find out if Umbridge caught them, or if they discovered an imminent disaster needing his help.

An imminent disaster could happen regardless of Harry’s spying.

“Flitwick’s been going over eradication charms, hasn’t he?” Ron said slowly. “But I dunno how useful that’s going to be here,” He whispered. “I think it’s only meant for objects, but I haven’t finished the reading, have you?”

Harry shook his head ‘no’. “I saw Ruffles use a detection spell once,” He said beneath his breath. “When I thought Nagini had found a way into the castle, but I never heard the incantation.”

“That’s helpful.” Ron said with an ironic eyebrow.

Harry scoffed and jerked away from Ron. The oddest urge bubbled through him and wished quite suddenly that he’d taken on this task alone.

He debated sending Ron on his way and spying without him, but Ron would likely argue against that and Harry couldn't tolerate wasting another second, especially when they may not have another opportunity like this in the future. The timing was too good to pass up. Breakfast recently ended and most students were either in class or having a free period. He doubted anyone in their right mind willingly wandered near Umbridge’s classroom or office without dire need and that gave them ample opportunity to spy.

“Er—” Ron stammered. A brief pinch of confusion tightened in his face before he gave Harry an encouraging nod. “We’re just rusty at this, we can probably enlarge the string.” He said kindly. “Fred and George have done loads of work on their products since this summer too, the ears will probably work no matter how far it stretches.”

“We’d need to get the ear inside.” Harry said, making a determined effort to stamp out his anger.

“I dunno how clever her wards are, but the ear always worked at, er, well you know—” Harry didn’t need to guess to know Ron was referring to Grimmauld Place. “My point is, no one caught us there unless they physically caught us.”

Harry nodded and snatched the ear from Ron as he rushed closer. He grimaced as they ran. The hallway was too wide for comfort and there was nowhere to hide, should things go poorly. “I wish we’d brought the map, we need to start carrying it everywhere.” He hissed over his shoulder.

“That could be a disaster,” Ron hissed back as he caught up with Harry. “What if someone sees it?”

“It’d be better than keeping lookouts and hoping for the best!” Harry said as he waved his wand at the extendable ear and charmed the string to lengthen before whispering a spell he’d seen Snape cast more than once over the summer.

The ear leapt from Harry’s hand before barreling through the sparse Defense classroom and up the small spiral staircase at a blinding speed. Harry very nearly cancelled the spell preemptively when it looked as if it would collide with the door, but he let out a low breath as it shivered to a stop near a wide crack in the door knob.

“Is this close enough?” Harry asked in a tight voice. He couldn’t quite see if the ear could get closer, nor could he tell if it triggered any of Umbridge’s wards.

Ron’s eyes cautiously landed on Harry as he held the receiver to his ear. An uncomfortable look washed over his face and his mouth dropped open before snapping shut as Umbridge’s voice echoed from the receiver with a crackling, tinny sound.

“—Mr Malfoy?”

Harry jolted and tossed a careful look over his shoulder at the hallway, double checking it was truly as empty as it appeared before he flicked his wand and cast a near silent sticking charm on the ear.

“No, Professor,” Malfoy said. “Father was as shocked as you.”

A teacup dropped into its saucer with a high pitched clatter. “I’m terribly sorry.” Umbridge said sweetly. “I can’t imagine the worry your poor mother went through after receiving that letter from the Hospital Wing, goodness.” She clicked her tongue. “I came to Hogwarts to help you poor dears, had I known it was so dire, well.”

“Father’s been saying that for years, Professor.” Malfoy said in a similarly sweet tone. “It’s the state of things, you see. He knows Hogwarts offers the highest education, but given some of its recent choices, well.”

“I want you to know that any concern you have, you can take to me,” Umbridge said before shifting with a muffled sound. “And I want you to inform your father, everything is in hand. I was quite disappointed when I learnt of his abrupt departure from the Hospital Wing. I should’ve liked to speak with him personally.”

Ron made a disgusted sound and whispered, “Imagine that conversation.”

“Father was terribly upset to hear of my,” Malfoy gave a small cough. “Interaction, and said he’d speak with the headmaster. I’m sure he would’ve stayed to chat with you, had he known you intended to speak with him.”

Umbridge hummed a sorrowful note. “You poor dear.”

“I just want to know something being done about it,” Malfoy said. He spoke in a way Harry couldn’t help but admire; somehow managing to sound both helpless yet confident in his demand. “Potter always gets away with these sorts of things.”

Harry swallowed back his simmering anger and tried to calmly continue listening. He could admit that he and Malfoy fought often, but if anyone suffered more repercussions, it was Harry. An unpleasant memory sank bitterly on his tongue as he thought of Malfoy’s ‘POTTER STINKS’ badges and how no one had ever actually reprimanded Malfoy for having created them. No one reprimanded Malfoy for having hexed Hermione with beaver teeth, or for tormenting Ron about his second hand clothing, nor for having spread nasty rumours about Harry’s friends to Rita Skeeter.

He inhaled slowly and imagined the snitch sailing before him.

After everything Snape had helped Harry with over the summer and last few weeks, helping ensure his safety was truly the least Harry could do.

“I assure you, Mr Malfoy,” Umbridge began as her teacup clattered again. “Mr Potter will be dealt with swiftly and severely.” She said in a haughty tone. “Given my position as your Defense professor, I’ve spoken with Professor Snape on an appropriate response.”

Harry somehow doubted she chose to confer with Snape. Umbridge needed to be in charge, despite what her previous position as the Undersecretary might lead others to believe. Maybe she felt Snape would follow her lead?

“I believe he’ll be able to offer us some valuable insight.” Umbridge said before giving a grating throat cough. “He should be joining us quite—”

“Bollocks—” Ron started before looking upwards and inhaling sharply. His fingers clenched around the receiver and Umbridge’s voice gave a high pitched, tinny whinge before being cut off altogether.

“Spying?” Snape’s soft voice swept around them.

Harry’s eyes narrowed onto a crack in the floorboards beneath the receiver in Ron’s hand. He desperately wished he could move, but felt as if his feet had been cemented to the ground. Given how busy he and Snape had been since the beginning of the school term, and how little their schedules forced them to interact outside of Potions, Harry hadn’t truly dealt with Snape publicly.

Why hadn’t Snape told Harry he’d be meeting with Umbridge? He told Harry he’d handle Umbridge if Dumbledore wouldn’t, but had things come to that?

Should Harry be worried?

“We-we thought,” Ron stammered and snagged Harry’s sleeve as he reached over and gently tugged him closer. “That is, er—”

“You thought what, Weasley?” Snape asked, his voice dripping bitterly over Ron’s name.

Harry worried about appearing suitably angry at having been caught by someone he was meant to openly detest, given how Snape warned him about keeping up appearances, but was at a loss for how to behave. He tried to remain focused on what was happening, but guilt and confusion overwhelmed him. He knew he shouldn’t have spied, especially when Snape asked him to stay away from Umbridge, but at the same time, he felt Snape should’ve mentioned his meeting.

A sharp whistle echoed through the hallway and the string connected to the receiver flew backwards, sending the ear smacking into Ron with a painful-sounding slap.

“Attend what lessons you have today.” Snape said as he stepped closer and dropped a dark shadow over Harry.

Harry swallowed heavily. He hadn’t been able to convince himself to stop staring at the crack in the floor and look at Snape, but he didn’t need to in order to know a steely, cold anger lingered behind his eyes.

“Remain behind after Potions. We’ll discuss this behaviour then.” He said before twisting sharply and storming through the Defense classroom with sharp, resounding footsteps.

“Bloody hell.” Ron whispered in a small voice once they were alone. “Does that include me?”

A thick, sluggish feeling flooded Harry, and he distantly remembered promising to be well behaved this term. Snape’s good opinion of him had depended on it. Harry could confidently say that up until now, his actions had been caused by events that were largely out of his control. He hadn’t provoked Tom and asked for him to break through his thoughts with gruesome memories, nor for Umbridge to discover his aging issue. She never would have found out either, had Harry kept himself from cursing Malfoy.

Harry wasn’t even sure if he had cursed Malfoy, as he knew nothing about the curse, aside from Snape’s description and what he’d recently learnt from Malfoy. He doubted anyone could knowingly perform the correct wand movement and nonverbally cast a spell they didn’t know.

The pendant on his mum’s necklace beat a warm staccato against his chest.

“Harry, come on.”

A quiet urge crept up his spine and he nearly managed to pull himself away from the crack in the floor to find a broom cupboard. Hiding wouldn’t make Snape less angry though, nor would running into Umbridge’s office and apologizing.

The last time Harry felt this worried about breaking the rules and incurring Snape’s wrath, he’d snuck out with Ron and Hermione in search of help after Umbridge cursed him. The only other instance he could think of where he’d broken the rules and searched for help had been long before then, when Harry was terrified of Snape’s response after nearly being kidnapped by Avery.

He almost counted last night’s meltdown, given how horrifying it had been, but Snape already explained that it was less about Harry breaking rules and more about him feeling safe enough to express himself.

Despite the difference in events, Snape had been proud of Harry for finding and trusting an adult each time. No matter how Harry looked at behaviour today though, spying on Umbridge had nothing to do with finding help, and far more to do with him, placing himself within reach of Umbridge, who was proven to have no qualms about hurting him.

Harry tried to dredge up older experiences where he’d put himself in harm's way to guess Snape’s reaction, and wound up thinking of Aunt Petunia. Snape allowed Harry to return to her twice, despite knowing she may hurt him. She rarely hit Harry though.

Dudley however, hit Harry often.

Snape hadn’t mentioned anything specific about Dudley hurting him. He tried to remember how angry Snape had been after Dudley gave him a black eye and he portkeyed into his mum’s flat, but he could only think of the sharp scent of peppermint.

Harry shook his head at himself. Snape didn’t smell of peppermint; the balm he used had.

It didn’t matter either way. Harry hadn’t chosen to be hit by Dudley, but he had chosen to spy on Umbridge.

He wished he hadn’t spied, but he also wished he’d argued about why he’d spied when Snape caught them. He wanted Snape to be safe, and if Harry could help, why shouldn’t he?

If Snape promised to always help him, shouldn’t Harry do the same in return?

The crack in the floor seemed to widen and Harry tipped head over heels as he fell in.

Flashes of Snape’s kindness whorled around him and he grasped desperately for them, but each time his fingertips brushed over a memory, it slipped away and exploded in discordant scatter. He could no longer remember if he was six or not, or if he visited Snape the first night of term, or if he visited Dumbledore instead. He wondered if he could hear Padfoot whinging, but no matter where he turned, Harry couldn’t find any sign of him.

A tall streetlamp from Magnolia Crescent flickered into view, barely illuminating a foggy, ill-lit street. Harry tilted his head in confusion as he stared at it before bristling with anger when he spied Dumbledore standing beneath it.

A soft, velvety voice echoed through the street before a bright halo bright light erupted from behind Dumbledore, leaving Harry squinting at him from within Dumbledore’s shadow.

The uncomfortable feeling of being watched prickled up Harry’s neck and he spun around as he searched the dark street for whoever it might be. Each house was as empty and lifeless as the next though. It reminded Harry far too much of when Snape collected him from Privet Drive.

Avery had been hiding in the dark.

Harry panicked and twisted in place as he furiously tried to find him. He could hear Avery’s sickly cooing, but no matter how many blurry shadows he searched, he couldn’t seem to find him.

The velvety voice whispered again, this time guiding him toward a thin, crooked crack in the pavement and idly wondering aloud if Avery was hiding inside.

It looked much too small for someone to hide inside of, and far darker than anywhere else on the street, but Harry couldn’t think of a good reason for why Avery wouldn’t have hidden there, had he somehow found a way in. No matter how hard Harry tried though, he couldn’t see inside.

It was just too dark.

Bitterness washed over him after realizing he’d probably need to go back and borrow Dumbledore’s light if he was going to find anyone down there. He turned back around to look at Dumbledore, but inhaled sharply after spying Snape in his place instead.

Sirius’s warm voice hummed in Harry’s ear, reminding him that Snape knew Avery was here, but intentionally kept it from Harry. He probably also knew where Avery was hiding.

Snape knew about his meeting with Umbridge today too, but kept that from Harry as well.

His earlier guilt rushed around him once more, and he somehow doubted Snape would freely loan him the streetlamp. Maybe he’d help Harry if he apologized though? That wasn’t so odd to consider, not when Snape helped him after Harry apologized this morning. It’d need to be a real apology however, not something that sounded half-baked and as if he was only doing it for the streetlamp.

An apology like that would likely take real work, and Harry wasn’t entirely positive of how he felt concerning his own guilt. Did he feel guilty for disobeying Snape, or for not having trusted Snape to handle Umbridge?

He twisted away from the crooked crack and stared at Snape. He might be able to ask which apology mattered more, though Harry couldn't be sure Snape would answer.

Snape’s steely eyes followed him as he carefully crept closer.

Harry knew he trusted Snape to handle Umbridge, he just wasn’t as sure about him handling Voldemort. He hadn’t spied on Umbridge out of a burning need to break the rules either, rather, it had been to help ensure Snape’s safety.

He reached a small hand upwards toward Snape and idly realized he’d shrunken to the size of a six year old at some point, but he couldn’t remember when. He was tucked into Snape’s cloak as well and nearly tripped over the heavy fabric when it caught around his feet.

Harry wondered if Snape already knew of the dangers lurking behind Umbridge’s actions, and if that was why he agreed to meet with her?

What would Umbridge have done if she’d caught them spying while Snape was present? He hadn’t considered what might’ve happened if she left her office in the middle of her meeting. That wouldn’t have gone well for Harry.

Snape may have had more planned for his meeting than Harry realized as well.

It was just as well, he could hardly help Snape while wrapped in his cloak. He couldn’t even lift it high enough to walk without it trailing behind him.

The light behind him drifted gently over Harry as Snape crouched down and gently re-knotted the cloak around Harry’s shoulders. He took a small pause to survey his work before tugging Harry up against his chest.

“I think Avery’s in there.” Harry whispered as he looked up at Snape and pointed to the pavement.

“That’s not Avery.” Snape whispered back.

Harry inhaled sharply as he shot upwards and collided with a head of curly hair.

“Ouch!” Hermione hissed as rubbed her forehead and backed away. “Sorry, I only meant to wake you up, I didn’t intend for it to be so abrupt.”

Scarlet bed curtains bled across Harry’s vision and he blinked through the throbbing ache in his head until Hermione and Neville came into focus.

“Alright, Harry?” Neville asked wrung his fingers together.

Harry nodded slowly. He tried to find the crack in the floor, or Snape or Ron, but came up empty on all three. He twisted his wrist over to check his watch and bit back a groan after realizing he’d missed his early morning lessons.

“You’re, er, are you sure?” Neville asked. “You didn’t seem particularly—”

“No, I’m fine,” Harry said with a sluggish wave. “Did I sleep?”

Hermione pinched her lips between her teeth and nodded as she sat across from Harry. “Ron managed to get you to Divination, but you were really,” She paused and gave Harry a concerned look. “Struggling.”

Harry rocked forward and dropped his heavy head into his palms. He dreaded what that interaction looked like. He hoped no one noticed him, but doubted he would be so lucky.

“Trelawney said it was probably just stress, and that you aren’t in trouble for missing class!” Hermione said as she sat a bit straighter. “She even gave you a note, apparently she told Ron she’d seen it coming.” She said, wiggling her fingers much like Trelawney did in class. “She said this happens with our course load. You’re not the only one to miss class because of it either, see, Hannah Abbot is in my Ancient Runes course and just last week—”

Harry held a hand up, stopping her midflow as he inhaled slowly. “Thanks, that’s—erm, that’s great.” He said slowly. “Just give me a minute to, erm,” He rubbed his eyes and tried to string a complete sentence together. “I’ll meet you in the Common Room in a minute, we’ll go to Defense then.”

Hermione blinked between him and Neville before pinching her lips between her teeth once more. “You’re sure?”

Harry nodded.

He wondered if Ron neglected to tell her about their spying this morning, but doubted feigning ignorance would’ve kept Hermione in the dark for long. She would’ve guessed something happened solely by Harry’s state.

“It’s just as well,” Neville said in a weak voice. “I bet Umbridge only honours sick notes when you’re dying.”

“That’s ridiculous and unprofessional.” Hermione mumbled before following Neville through the doorway.

Harry shoved his blankets off and shivered as he stumbled around the dormitory in search of his book bag. He tried to throw off his strange dream and shake some life into his limbs, but he gave up when it became apparent that none of his attempts would work.

He clutched his mum’s necklace close and sighed as it warmed. Though he couldn’t be sure, he wondered if Dreamless Sleep had been invented for someone who had similarly strange dreams as Harry?

“You didn’t see him when he just stopped reacting,” He heard Ron whisper as he stepped down the stairs. “Hermione it was awful—”

“You should’ve taken him to the Hospital Wing!”

“That would’ve only made things worse!”

“It would’ve been better than just assuming it’ll go away on its own! It’s pure luck that it went away this time! Don’t you remember what happened last time?” Hermione hissed. “Ruffles was angry enough to kill!”

Harry grimaced as he thought of how concerned Snape had been when Harry came out of his thoughts at his mum’s house.

“They’re always angry enough to kill!” Ron said in a harsh whisper.

“No, they’re not!” Hermione’s fingers clenched into a tight fist. “You know that’s not true! They’re only angry like that when grown adults willfully endanger children, or we wilfully endanger ourselves!”

Ron must’ve told her the truth then.

Harry paused at the foot of the stairs and gave them both a weak smile. To his surprise, they gave up arguing long enough to climb through the portrait hole and maneuver down several flights of stairs before Hermione began speaking again.

“Neville quite likes the idea of a study group, in case you were curious.” She said as they curved around a wave of students. “Seamus though, thinks it's useless.”

“I can’t believe you even bothered to tell him.” Ron mumbled.

“He was sitting right next to us, what did you want me to say?” Hermione asked with a shrug. “Oh sorry Seamus, no prats allowed?”

Ron snickered. “That’d have worked.”

“What did you agree on then?” Harry asked as they trudged into Umbridge’s bleak classroom. He inhaled slowly and preemptively pictured the snitch when his eyes landed on the taffy pink ribbons surrounding her desk. He didn’t fancy enduring a reappearance from Tom.

He might not have much of a choice though, especially if Tom was still upset about being called ‘repugnant’.

“We’re going to meet every Friday during our free period.” Hermione said quietly as she slid into a desk to Harry’s right.

“It’s the only time most of us have off.” Ron added with a nod. “You’d be surprised how many people seemed interested, Fred, George, Dean, that one insufferable bloke, Justin Finch-Fletchley,” He ticked names off as he counted them on his fingers. “Luna brought some friends over too, even Cho looked curious.”

The snitch in Harry’s head swerved right and dropped out of his thoughts entirely. “Cho’s coming?”

“I think it’ll still be small enough to manage.” Hermione said.

Harry couldn’t be bothered to care much about the size of their group, though he did wonder how long Madam Pince would tolerate a large group of students loitering together in the library; he was far more interested in who attended.

Umbridge swept through the room with a small smug smile. Her cloying perfume sailed around the room and was far more pungent than usual.

Harry blinked against his dry eyes and wished he could go back to sleep. His head felt as if it’d been stuffed full of wool.

In the back of his mind, he could hear the word ‘repugnant’ being repeated in a soft voice and worried about what could happen If Tom made an untimely reappearance. Harry didn’t know what he’d do. He didn’t have a plan with Snape, nor Ron and Hermione. He knew better than to interact with Tom now, but that didn’t leave him with very many options for shutting him out.

“Hem, Hem.” Umbridge coughed before twisting on her heel. “Good afternoon, class.”

Harry dully parroted the greeting back with the rest of the class and scratched his nails over his wrists as focused on the snitch in his imagination.

“It’s come to my attention that despite my presence as your Defense professor, some students have taken it upon themselves to learn and practice dangerous, and potentially even deadly spells.” Umbridge said with pursed lips.

Several pairs of eyes landed on Harry, making him wish to slink lower into his chair, but he kept still instead, stoutly refusing to give Umbridge the benefit of seeing him embarrassed.

“I believe I made myself quite clear at the beginning of term when I explained the reason behind our focus on the underlying principles within defensive magic?” Umbridge said, lacing her fingers together. “I have since been informed that, while this behaviour is repugnant—”

Harry narrowed in on the snitch in his thoughts.

The anger he often felt when attending Umbridge’s lessons simmered unpleasantly in his chest, but it felt nothing like what he’d experienced last night.

“It will likely continue to be a menace upon our student body.” Umbridge twisted on her heel and made the short journey toward her desk. “For that reason, I want each and every one of you to write an essay, on top of our usual readings.”

More than one nasty look landed on Harry as the classroom gave a shiver and everyone swallowed back their annoyance. Moaning about extra work with Umbridge had never ended well, despite how good it felt.

Umbridge brought the attention back to her with another sickly sweet throat cough. “I want three rolls of parchment on the importance of recognizing situations in which defensive magic can legally be used.” Umbridge said before waving her wand at the board and spelling out the prompt in chalk. “And don’t forget, I am a resource, one who’s door is always open. I want it on my desk before class begins Friday. Failure will result in a detention.”

Harry wished he’d stayed in bed.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed it, please leave a comment below if you did! This chapter was a menace to write.
Chapter 19 by WiCeBa
“Which d’you imagine is worse?” Ron asked as they filed out of the classroom. “Detention with Umbridge, or writing that essay?”

Harry ducked into a shadowy alcove before the bitter glares of his classmates could overwhelm him, and flicked his wand at his face as he whispered a spell he’d seen Snape cast more than once.

Icy wind burst through his fringe and swept down his neck.

The snitch hummed through his thoughts, and kept him from focusing on his anger too much, but it did little to keep him from collapsing against the wall. He wanted to crawl into bed, or maybe never move again. The last time he’d fallen into his thoughts, he’d slept for the better part of a day. It’d been exhausting.

“Both probably.” Harry said before dropping his head backwards against the cool stone. “I bet she’ll have you write the essay in detention.”

Ron moaned.

“It’s hardly relevant to our course.” Hermione said as she wrinkled nose. “Well, it’s relevant under Umbridge, but if our course were taught by anyone who actually valued Defense, at least we’d be writing about something worthwhile.” She added. “But I care more about her behaviour, than her essay. It's vile. She must know how much trouble you’re already going through.”

Harry shook his head and grimaced. “If she thinks this will make me crack and go running to apologize to her, she’s mental.” Maybe it was Harry who was mental for letting her get away with hurting him at every turn though?

Hermione flicked her wrist over as she checked the time, leaving Harry to wonder how long he could get away with hiding in the alcove.

He briefly wondered if Snape would rather he sleep than attend class?

He couldn’t remember if Aunt Petunia ever allowed him to call in sick, on the off chance he felt too ill to attend school. He doubted she had. Dudley had been able to call in if he felt too ill, as Harry had more than one memory of attending class without him, but he couldn’t remember a time when the opposite occurred.

Crying about being too sick wasn’t going to get him out of trouble either. That, Harry knew vividly, never worked.

“You don’t suppose writing about,” Ron cleared his throat and pitched his voice into an insulting parody of Umbridge’s. “‘Recognizing situations in which defensive magic can legally be used’, will help us in any way, do you?”

“Legality could probably be useful,” Hermione said. “But, given the war, I somehow doubt the Ministry’s opinion of legality will matter long term.”

“You never know, they lost control during the first war.” Ron said. “At least for a few years, but they went mad, and were obsessed with control after they had it back.”

Harry grimaced as he thought of Sirius and his wrongful imprisonment in Azkaban. He was uncomfortably aware of how Sirius must’ve felt to be made into an example, and how much more helpless it would’ve made him feel to receive punishment when he was innocent. Sirius had already been coping with immense guilt for having thought to swap secret keepers as well. Harry could easily see why he might’ve accepted the Ministry’s judgement and attributed that punishment to his own guilt.

Sirius had been innocent though.

He knew he was innocent, and that innocence kept him sane while others rotted with their guilt. Twelve years in Azkaban, however, was a long time to remain sane. Why hadn’t the Ministry investigated it? Fudge had spoken with Sirius before he’d shown him clipping of Ron and his family’s trip to Egypt, he must’ve thought it strange that Sirius could still think of something other than his own misfortune.

He knew the Ministry disliked having their own faults thrown in their face, but Sirius would’ve presented an issue even if the Ministry never admitted to having made a mistake.

Anyone who fought back hard enough to stay sane for twelve years must have posed a threat. Maybe the Ministry believed trapping people in their worst memories held them docile with self-loathing, which could explain their blasé attitude, and why Sirius accepted his punishment, given his part in Harry’s parent’s murder? If that were true, then the Ministry succeeded, because Sirius hadn’t escaped to save himself.

Harry couldn’t help but be reminded of his conversation about leashes with Ron though, and how violently those trapped fought back with the right motivation.

After all, Sirius only escaped when he saw Harry was in danger.

“Maybe we can reference the first war in our essays?” Hermione asked as she gently tugged Harry away from the wall. “And acknowledge the Ministry’s failures and the madness they created?”

“I bet we’ll get detention whether we turn that essay in or not.” Harry said before slumping as he grabbed his backpack and followed Ron and Hermione.

The path down the stairs and into the dungeons seemed uncommonly quick, as dense, damp air broke over Harry sooner than he realized. Snape’s absence from the hallway did little to hide his presence, and left Harry wondering once more how angry Snape would be with him, and what he might say or do. He hazily remembered having dreamt about formulating an appropriate apology, but he couldn’t remember if he’d actually made one.

Ron threw Harry a concerned glance as they slipped quietly into their classroom, set their essays on Snape’s desk, and quickly sequestered a corner near the back. Neville joined them shortly after.

“I don’t want detention,” Ron said beneath his breath as he sat. “We’ve managed to avoid it so far, I have—”

“It's a bit late for that now, isn’t it?” Hermione asked in an equally quiet voice.

Harry couldn’t help but agree, but rather than dredging his exhausted feelings to the surface, he dropped his forehead into his palms and closed his eyes.

He’d chosen to spy, no matter how he tried to excuse his actions. He’d chosen to spy.

The necklace hummed to life, but it didn’t help.

Harry wanted Snape to be safe and knowing what danger Umbridge posed had frightened him. A thousand options for apologies spiraled into his thoughts, and though Harry knew each was as genuine as the last, he couldn’t help but worry that Snape wouldn’t agree.

Snape swept into the room with precise, loud steps, shocking Harry from his self-pity. He hardly glanced at Harry or Ron as he flicked his wand at the board.

A complicated list of instructions and ingredients appeared along the board, reminding Harry unnecessarily of how difficult his OWL year had become. He vaguely remembered reading about potions with similar processes in several of Snape’s catalogues and books, but he didn’t remember them having quite this many ingredients. His time with Snape had rounded out his confusion with quite a few potions, but reading, understanding, and brewing were all quite different from one another when it came down to actual work.

“We are moving on from the Invigoration Draught to the Befuddlement Draught, which will come up in your OWL’s.” Snape said in a soft, cool voice. “Should you have completed the assigned reading, any further explanation is unnecessary, however,” His eyes lingered on the Gryffindor side of the room with a flat, bored look. “I somehow doubt that is the case, given some in this student body, so allow me to elucidate. Whomsoever imbibes this draught will be affected with belligerence and recklessness, as such, I suggest you take this time to acquaint yourselves with this draught’s particulars, as some of its ingredient’s serve dual uses and others can be volatile.”

Hermione hunched over her notebook as she began copying the instructions down.

“It will take more than one lesson to brew, so I suggest you plan ahead.” Snape added as he dove into the complicated series of steps involved in its brewing process before allowing them to begin.

Harry and Ron traded off gathering ingredients as Hermione set their corner up. The busy classroom hummed around them as they moved, and Harry found himself buzzing with it, despite his exhaustion. He couldn’t help but worry about when Snape would turn around and begin belittling him for any mistakes.

He tried reminding himself to breathe, and relax, because Snape likely wouldn’t hurt him, at least not physically. He swallowed back his nerves and tried to think of everything he needed to apologize for, but quickly regretted it as his own mistakes flooded him.

He’d spied on Umbridge after Snape had warned him not to get involved with her. He’d begged Snape to talk with Tom last night, and failed to understand why he wouldn’t until Ginny explained the dangers. He’d left Snape to deal with Sirius and Lupin when Harry couldn’t bear to see their disappointment and stole a book from Sirius’s house. He’d cursed Malfoy and failed to occlude despite how often Snape told him to try.

He’d handled each awful moment worse than the last. What apology could make up for this?

Could an apology make up for this?

He spent the better part of the next hour developing apologies and mentally editing them into a more well-rounded and responsible sounding statement, though he never landed on anything he felt would work.

He was idly surprised by his odd ability to focus on the potion in front of him, and how often unconscious thoughts kept him from making potentially dangerous missteps in his own brewing. He couldn’t help but wonder if that came from how much he’d read over the summer. His previous lessons in potions hadn’t gone quite this well, but Harry had also been far less distracted.

“Is the lovage meant to be diced?” Ron asked quietly, breaking Harry from his thoughts.

“Er,” Hermione hummed back after peeking through her notes. “You need to chiffonade them, but however small you cut them, the sneezewort needs to be double that size.”

“I’m surprised lovage is in this,” Neville said as he began cautiously cutting the plant. “You wouldn’t really think of it as something that could make you batty, Gran uses it when she cooks fish.”

Hermione’s eyes wandered from her own cutting board toward Neville’s, and Harry wondered if he could see her mentally measuring his work.

Maybe Hermione would be able to help him with an appropriate apology?

“I mean, it’s something of an irritant, so I understand why that could affect someone negatively, but I guess I don’t see it as something that could really send someone into a rage.” Neville said. “Maybe that’s the sneezewort?”

“Sneezewort is a,” Hermione paused before paging through her text and checking the work twice. “A numbing agent.”

“But I thought it only affected the mouth?” Neville asked before letting out a sharp hiss as he accidentally cut himself.

Ron nudged Harry’s shoulder and slid a ragged slip of parchment toward him.

Harry quickly pulled it closer and unfolded it and read the scribbled note.

‘What’s our plan for after class?’

Harry looked up as Ron pointed toward his watch. He quickly flipped his wrist over and realized how soon class would be ending. He quickly wrote back. ‘Apologize?’

Ron stole the note back and looked carefully over the room before adding another line below Harry’s and tapping impatiently. ‘I don’t want to die, Harry. Do you have a firecracker? Maybe we could use it as a distraction, like before.’

Harry read the note before widening his eyes at Ron and giving him an imploring look. ‘No’. He silently mouthed.

Ron snatched the note back and scribbled a crooked line of text. ‘Who are we dealing with? Snape or ?’

Harry struggled to guess who the question mark belonged to, given that Snape was the only person who’d caught them outside of Defense, unless someone else had appeared after Harry fell into his thoughts.

Ron mouthed ‘Ruffles’.

‘I don’t know.’ Harry’s heart clenched as he wrote back.

The parchment was snatched from his hands once more as Ron began writing. Harry didn't know if he and Ron would scrub cauldrons or write lines, or if a far worse outcome was coming and Snape would truly, finally be done with Harry altogether.

Ron passed the note over and tapped the parchment several more times before Harry felt brave enough to read it. ‘Do we at least want to have our story straight?’

Neville let out a low groan as his cauldron began smoking with a foul smell.

“Put it out!” Hermione jerked and whispered sharply. “Quickly! Out, Neville!”

Neville flicked his wand at the fire, but rather than cooling it, he scorched the bottom of his cauldron and sent a dense plume of smoke ballooning throughout their small corner.

A searing, painful cough stung in Harry’s lungs as he quickly snatched his and Ron’s notes from the table and stuffed them into his bag. The cloud spilled over the classroom, shocking students into dropping to the ground or attempting to push open thickly encrusted windows. Harry moved to dodge backwards and away with Ron but tripped over his stool before long fingers slipped around his upper arm and pushed him beneath the table.

Harry very nearly collided with Hermione before he caught himself on his palms and quickly seated himself beside her.

He tried peering out from under the table, but Snape’s dark cloak blocked most of his view. There wasn’t much to see either way, given how thick the smoke grew as it built around the room. He thought he might’ve been able to see an outline of either Malfoy or Zabini beneath a desk to Harry’s right, but it was too difficult to tell.

The smoke sank heavily around them, making Hermione cough and squint as she dabbed her watery eyes. “Did Ruffles teach you the bubble head charm?” She asked with a croak.

Harry shook his head ‘no’ confusedly before realizing the burning in his throat had disappeared. He blinked at himself and caught sight of an impossibly thin membrane roiling just near the edge of his vision. He jerked and moved to pop it, but Hermione caught his arm before he could get too close.

“Don’t!” She hissed. “Don’t mess with it! It’s letting you breathe!”

Guilt clawed up Harry’s throat as he slowly lowered his hands. He doubted he’d accidentally cast a bubble head charm on himself, and given Hermione’s surprise and heavy coughing, he doubted she’d cast the charm either.

That only left Snape, and Harry couldn’t bear the thought of Snape keeping his promise to help Harry, while Harry threw caution to the wind and did the exact opposite of what Snape asked of him.

Clear air trailed slowly upwards from their hiding place and began cutting through the thick, muddy smog.

“Longbottom!” Snape’s cloak cracked as he stormed around their table to where Neville had been hiding.

Neville hacked before choking out, “I didn’t mean—”

“Has five years of education on heating and cooling potions been utterly lost on you?!” Snape’s quick footsteps advanced on Neville until he was nearly backed into a corner. He continued tearing into the dangers behind the smoke while Ron nudged them both as he crept beneath the table.

“Poor Neville, that's rotten luck.” Ron whispered before squeezing his eyes closed and coughing into his sleeve.

“It’s an easy mistake,” Hermione nodded. “I hope we’re allowed out of class a little early, I want to check with Madam Pomfrey before Arithmancy, I feel horrid.”

Harry swallowed heavily. He couldn’t remember Snape ever having willingly allowed them out of class early. Nearly choking out a classroom didn’t put Snape into a grand mood either, and certainly impacted Harry and Ron’s post-lesson conversation as well. “Maybe it’ll be easily solved?”

Hermione shrugged.

“The room is safe; you may return to your seats.” Snape said loudly as he stalked toward the front of the classroom. “Those of you who charmed your cauldrons are in luck, the rest of you can anticipate restarting this on Wednesday.” He added before flicking his wand toward the storage cupboard. A tall, thin mottled bottle sailed into Snape’s hand.

“Bollocks.” Ron moaned. “He’s in a horrible mood, don’t let me die after class, Harry.”

“Well—” Harry’s throat tightened, and his chest burned as he reigned in the urge to shout. The necklace warmed again and kept him from bursting, but he disliked it. He had as much control over Snape as Ron did, and he doubted that anything he said or did was going to pacify Snape enough to forgive them! Why Ron felt Harry would be of any help was beyond him. Snape would be angry until he wasn’t.

He helped Harry avoid inhaling caustic smoke though, so maybe he would forgive them? However, Harry hadn’t been the cause of the smoke, so Snape having helped him made sense.

Did it make sense?

Harry dropped his head into his palms and tried to inhale against the heavy, thick feeling creeping into his thoughts. He desperately wanted to go back to sleep and forget this day happened.

“If you inhaled smoke, come to the front of the class.” Snape said as he spun on his heel and popped a small glass eye dropper from the top of the bottle.

The bubble around Harry’s face gave a near silent pop and disappeared without a trace. Footsteps echoed around them as most students climbed out from beneath tables or dropped away from the windows and formed a clumsy line.

“It’s Dittany, Miss Brown, it’s not going to burn you.” Snape snapped as Lavender flinched away from his hand.

“Come on,” Hermione said as she massaged her throat. “Let’s go.”

They crawled from beneath the table and spied Neville staring blankly at the scarred bottom of his cauldron.

“You might still need some Dittany even with the bubble head charm,” Hermione whispered to Harry as she looked over the room. “I’m not sure what came out of Neville’s cauldron, but it couldn’t have been good.”

Neville flushed and shrank deeper into his seat.

“Not that—oh, I’m sorry Neville!” Hermione’s shoulders flew up near her ears and she apologized profusely despite her raw-sounding throat. “It’s, that is, it’s the smoke that’s not good, not that you’re potion—”

Ron looped a hand around Hermione’s elbow and guided her toward the queue.

It seemed as if everyone had been impacted by the smoke regardless of preventative measures, even Malfoy, who was rubbing his worryingly bloodshot eyes. Harry couldn’t decide if he felt better that Malfoy had been affected with the rest of them, or worse that he’d been affected at all.

While Harry hoped the queue and cleanup would take at least another hour, it wound up dragging class to the very last bell, before which, Snape ensured Harry and Ron were reminded, in no uncertain terms, that they were meant to remain behind.

Hermione gave them each a hopeful look over her shoulder as she collected her bag and tried again to console Neville before shutting the door behind her.

Snape slowly circled the damp, empty classroom and trailed his wand over the doors, windows, and cracks and crevices with care. Harry wondered if he was searching for any leftover smoke, but he appeared to come up empty handed.

Harry’s throat dried up when Snape twisted around and stepped closer. His nails ran over his wrists as the apologies he’d thought of earlier weighed on the tip of his tongue. Before their relationship changed, Snape had never appreciated Harry speaking unless he was spoken to, and Harry was uncertain if he should behave as he’d been expected to before or if he should just begin profusely apologizing.

“Let’s begin with what—”

“I’m really sorry.” Harry’s mouth ran ahead of his thoughts. “I’m sorry. I’m—”

Snape slowly held a hand up, stopping Harry mid-sentence. He flicked his wand and summoned a goblet from the shelf before filling it with water. “Take a sip.” He said calmly as he held it nearer to Harry. “Let’s begin with what precipitated your presence in the Defense classroom?”

Harry wished quite suddenly that he and Ron had made a plan before Neville’s cauldron began to smoke.

“We, er,” Ron stammered. “Harry—I mean, Malfoy was saying, saying he had a meeting.” His hands jerked every few moments, longing to gesture along with his thoughts, but he kept them still by his side instead.

Harry’s fingers tightened around the goblet as he brought it closer.

Snape’s eyes flickered away from Harry and landed on Ron. “You heard Mr Malfoy had a meeting with Umbridge.” He repeated before waving at Ron to continue.

He seemed remarkably calm, in comparison to what Harry anticipated. He wasn’t sure if he should be disappointed in himself for having expected Snape to shout or berate them, but then, Snape rarely held his temper in check around Ron and Hermione.

“Right, well,” Ron said as his hands flinched against his sides. “Er, we didn’t want them chatting.”

“Chatting?” Snape repeated slowly.

Ron nodded. “They’ve been, er,” He looked at Harry out of the corner of his eye and grimaced. “Close. Weirdly close, going by what we heard.” He seemed less than inclined to offer information freely, and Harry worried if he should follow in Ron’s footsteps. Normally, he would’ve leapt for that course of action, but Snape was impossible to lie to. Snape had also pointed out, more than once, that if he didn’t know what had truly happened or where things went wrong, he was unable to help.

“And you presumed the meeting would pertain to yourselves, in some way?” Snape asked. “Did you anticipate disrupting this meeting?”

Harry shook his head ‘no’. “We didn’t want Umbridge to tell Malfoy that I went to your office after she—” Harry shivered as phantom pain burned over his hand and Tom’s memories flickered in his thoughts. Thankfully, none of his breathtaking anger appeared with them. “I didn’t want Malfoy to know you’d helped me after my meeting with her. I didn’t want Malfoy to tell his father either, or anyone else. If he had, they might tell V—”

Ribbons whispered over Harry’s jaw, but a bright shock of electricity cracked over them, keeping them from brushing over his lips.

“Tom.” Harry finished dully.

At some point, Snape’s eyes had returned to Harry and looked at the goblet once more “You had a well-founded worry, I agree, but did you have any inclinations to disrupt this meeting?”

Harry quickly took another sip.

“We hadn’t quite worked everything out.” Ron said through gritted teeth.

Snape’s head tilted left. “But you had established a clear need to spy. Had you considered what to do, should your fears be realized?”

“No.” Harry said. “But knowing about it would’ve been better than not knowing.”

“May I assume then, that if your fears were realized you would’ve burst into her office?” Snape asked as he held his hands aloft.

“We’re not mental,” Ron snapped. “We wouldn’t have—we would’ve—” He threw his arms upwards in a tight, uncomfortable gesture as a bright flush coloured his ears.

“You would’ve what, Weasley?” Snape’s eyes hardened on Ron as anger tightened across his face.

The bitter, steely disappointment that’d bubbled to the surface this morning appeared and struck Harry as being terrifyingly reminiscent of Snape’s behavior before their relationship changed.

“Told you?” Harry asked weakly.

Snape paused and inhaled slowly as he turned back toward Harry. His cold temper settled, though it didn’t fade entirely. Harry almost wished they’d had this conversation in his chambers, rather than the classroom, but then, Harry had very few pleasant memories of Snape’s chambers.

Awkwardly standing around Snape’s desk might’ve been the best option they had. Harry certainly felt more comfortable on his feet, though he didn’t fancy investigating why. He thought his post-lesson meetings would’ve helped make the classroom into a more comfortable environment, but he supposed it was difficult to move past four years’ worth of the bullying and torment he’d endured from Snape while inside.

“Just, we didn’t have any proof of it being true,” Harry said as his voice withered in his throat. “What if you hadn’t believed us?”

Harry couldn’t quite tell if that had been the primary source of his need to spy or not. In the past, he’d always needed to have proof on hand for why he’d acted the way he did, regardless of how improbable Harry’s guilt may have been.

Aunt Petunia had never taken Harry’s side in a single fight, nor had Uncle Vernon or Dudley, even if he had evidence. They often either punished him regardless or rationalized whatever had occurred as something Harry truly had no control over. It wasn’t until he’d begun primary school that evidence and proof even became an option for Harry, and even then, his evidence had needed to be irrefutable.

Even at Hogwarts, prior to Snape’s change in behaviour, evidence only took Harry so far. He needed proof if he wanted to see results.

The tense lines on Snape’s face loosened and he reached upwards as he rubbed his eyes.

“It wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened.” Ron muttered.

Harry’s fingers tightened around his goblet as and cold anger burst over his face once more. The urge to drop the goblet and flee the classroom rushed through him, but before he could give it much thought, Snape’s shoulders dropped, and he gave a long, low sigh.

“My previous disregard for your concerns is inexcusable. I apologize.” Snape said slowly.

Shock washed over Harry, and he blinked several times before he realized Snape hadn’t stopped speaking.

“Going forward, I will believe what concerns you bring to me, regardless of proof.” Snape said, giving Ron and Harry both a measured look.

The bright flush near Ron’s ears dulled. “Any concern?” He asked.

“Within reason,” Snape said. His temper remained present on his face, though he seemed unlikely to begin shouting. “Any concern you feel I should be made aware of.”

“Within reason.” Ron nodded.

Harry nodded firmly. He idly wondered if Snape would believe Harry if he mentioned his worry about his safety under Voldemort again.

“We have established your reasons for spying then, along with your plan, if your fears had been realized.” Snape said. “My next question then, would be what your plan had been, if Umbridge caught you?”

Harry blinked and took a sip to stall for time. They hadn’t had a plan, beyond their plan to spy. Their plans went awry often, regardless of whether they were good or bad and Harry had seen how successful thinking on his feet could be in the hands of someone like Sirius. Even if Sirius hadn’t always made the best decisions, the decisions he’d made often worked out.

“We,” Ron started slowly. “Well, we could’ve run away pretty quick?”

“Run away.” Snape parroted dully. “From someone fully capable of magically restraining you.”

“She’d have had to aim.” Ron shrugged sheepishly. “It’d have been tough with both of us running, and she’d need to clear the classroom before she caught up to us. I bet we could make the Grand Staircase before she came too close.” He said in a high voice as the flush appeared over his ears again.

Harry silently agreed, though he’d also spent far too much time as a small child to feel as if running was a feasible solution in every scenario. He was also intimately aware that sooner or later, they’d be out of areas left to run to. Umbridge could summon them to her office at her leisure, and even if McGonagall sat in on their meeting, Harry couldn’t very well argue that he hadn’t spied on Umbridge if she had seen him while they were escaping.

“She could easily have barred the hallways.” Snape said. “You would’ve been caught whether she caught up with you or not.”

“We were spying though.” Harry said. “We would’ve known if she was coming our way, we would’ve heard her.”

“Just as you heard me?” Snape asked with a single raised eyebrow.

Harry blanched before shaking his head ‘no’. “We had thought to bring the map, but we didn’t want to pass up the opportunity. We didn’t know if they’d meet up again, or what Umbridge might’ve already said.”

“That is often the case with spying.” Snape said. “You are rarely granted the chance to spy on your own time, with complete control of the situation. The answer here is to plan ahead.” He said firmly before leaning forward and looking at each of them carefully. “It is to ensure those being spied upon will have no methods to detain, see, or harm you, if plans go awry.”

“You’re not mad then?” Ron asked as he squinted and cautiously looked over Snape.

Snape inhaled slowly. “I believe your decisions were dangerous and poorly executed but founded on principles you believed necessitated those decisions. Spying may be inescapable in your future, but you need to understand it’s faults and dangers beforehand.”

Ron rubbed his hands over his eyes as Harry took another sip of water.

“If a concern can be addressed or answered safely, always choose that option first.” Snape said.

Confusion washed over Harry as he thought of how Snape handled Umbridge and Malfoy. Snape didn’t have someone older or more powerful than himself that he could go to when he had concerns, unless Harry counted Dumbledore.

Although, He supposed Ms Eileen could help, given how knowledgeable she was.

“I’m sorry.” Harry said in a quiet voice. He wasn’t sure how much more he should add, given that apologies normally included a plan to change, but he felt it needed to be said at least once more.

“We’ll, er, we’ve already gone for help loads more times this year than any other.” Ron said as he stood a bit straighter. “We’ll do that more.”

Snape hummed a low note. “You’re forgiven. However, both of you can look forward to 50 lines each, dictating that you ‘have taken every precaution before engaging in willful endangerment’.”

Ron slouched and gave a small, frustrated shiver.

Harry let out a breath he hadn’t realized he was holding. Despite his worry, and the hours he’d lost in his thoughts, Snape wasn’t abandoning him. The realization sank into his bones and the exhaustion he’d managed to fend off through sheer willpower fell over him. Lines were hardly difficult, and 50 of them was nothing compared to what Harry anticipated. Perhaps Snape anticipated Harry’s fears from last night and knew he’d already panicked?

“You’re free to leave then, Weasley.” Snape said as he moved around the side of his desk. “If anyone asks why you stayed after class, inform them that I believed you had stolen something from my stores, but found you innocent.”

Ron twisted toward Harry with a shocked look. “Harry’s not coming with me?”

“I’m staying?” Harry asked as he looked between the two of them. “We’re still having our after-lesson meeting?” He wasn’t sure how he felt about continuing to stand and chat, not when a chair was within reach, and he knew it was safe to sit. Maybe Snape would offer to transfigure the stool Harry often sat on into an armchair before they continued?

“In a manner of speaking, I would like to speak about the pass I received this afternoon from Professor Trelawney. Along with another matter.” Snape said before pulling a ragged note that stank of sherry from an untidy stack of parchment.

Ron flinched and pointed at Snape. “That was your fault! I didn’t know what to do, I thought Harry was having a fit!”

“I slept it off this time though,” Harry said as he quickly looked toward Snape. “It didn’t last very long; I don’t think so at least?”

A blank look dampened in Snape’s eyes.

“I had to get you from the Defense classroom and up to Divination, which is over about a thousand stairs you know, all in a circle, just so Trelawney could see you and say, ‘he looks stressed’!” Ron said shrilly. “D’you know how long it took me to get you back to the Common Room?!”

“Thank you for helping me.” Harry said tightly. “I’ll try to be less of a nutter in the future!”

“I’m not angry at you, Harry!” Ron said as his fists balled near his sides. “I’m angry at Snape! I’m angry because he said something that set you off just like back—” He fumed as he waved in the direction Grimmauld Place might’ve been in. “It would help if we knew what to do, or at least knew what causes it, because it’s confusing and scary to be around.”

“It will be discussed.” Snape said calmly before slowly settling into his desk chair.

Ron inhaled heavily but nodded. “Well, what if I might be helpful, I can answer any questions about what happened.”

“I believe that beyond a word or two, it was very unlikely you responded to outside stimuli Harry, correct?” Snape asked before looking toward Harry. “What can you remember?”

Harry blinked between Ron and Snape and grimaced. He didn’t fancy exploring what he’d seen or felt in his head, especially when it hardly seemed relevant, and he barely remembered anything specific either, aside from his overwhelming guilt.

“The crack in the floor outside of the Defense classroom.” Harry whispered awkwardly. It was the only concrete thing he could truly remember.

“Does that align with what you saw, Weasley?” Snape asked.

Ron shrugged. “You didn’t say anything, mate. You followed me when I asked you to, but mostly you just stared forward.”

Harry cringed at himself and bit back a groan. He couldn’t remember what happened the first time this happened in Grimmauld Place either, but at least there hadn’t been a massive student body watching him pull apart at the seams.

He twisted around and grabbed a stool before dragging it closer to Snape’s desk.

“Would you rather Weasley stay?” Snape asked as he flicked his wand at the stool and transfigured it quickly into the plush armchair Harry had come to enjoy.

Harry shook his head ‘no’. “It’s fine, Ron. I’ll catch up with you later.”

Ron nodded slowly before spinning on his heel and slipping through the doorway. It felt as if the room gave a shiver when he left, or perhaps Harry was just too Ron’s presence and was now overly sensitive to his disappearance?

“Before we go into what happened, please try to drink more water.” Snape said as he sat forward. “My meeting with Umbridge was quite useful.”

Harry brought the goblet closer once more as he gave Snape a curious look. He hadn’t given any thought to what Snape had said or learnt in his meeting, though he couldn’t tell if that had been a good thing or not, given where his mind might’ve gone if he’d had the time.

“Your blood results came due last night and revealed that during your meeting with Umbridge, you had ingested something toxic.”

Harry jerked and tried to sit straighter despite the exhaustion flooding him. “So, she did poison me?!”

Anger bolted upwards from his chest with a burning, sharp ache. The snitch hummed distantly in Harry’s ears, but failed to distract him from the sheer fury pouring into his thoughts. He’d avoided thinking too much about his attack in the past, given how humiliated it made him feel, but now it seemed as if he could think of nothing but his own vulnerability and stupidity. She’d taken advantage of everything, from Harry’s willingness to speak with her in her office to his polite sip of tea.

“The results themselves were inconclusive as to what you were poisoned with, though I was able to procure a sample of Umbridge’s perfume, unadulterated tea, and the China set the two of you utilized in your first meeting. Poisons can remain on porcelain for longer than most are aware of.” Snape said as he watched Harry carefully. “And, as Lupin guessed, her skills truly do lie with curses, not potions.”

Harry swallowed heavily against his fury as he tried to organize his thoughts. Worry filtered weakly around his anger and reminded him of Tom’s terrifying presence from yesterday, but he could hardly entertain it beneath the mounting pressure burning in his chest.

He should’ve known better; he should’ve known not to trust a new professor and to be more aware of himself. He should’ve at least attempted to make it harder for Umbridge to outright attack him.

“I believe Lupin’s guess about the gagging curse is correct as well, because the potion she used works in tandem with a trigger.” Snape said softly. He stood and slowly circled his desk as he came closer. “The trigger, in this instance, is the gagging curse, but that alone wouldn’t cause the debilitating weakness you experience. A lack of air will do that, though its physical impact would be reduced, because you are still able to breathe beneath the curse, however limited it may be.” Snape’s finger trailed gently over Harry’s nose as he crouched before his chair.

The urge to cry hit Harry, though he despised every ounce of it. He wanted to go back in time and to shout at Umbridge before she had a chance to hurt him, or perhaps block her door, so Harry couldn’t get in.

“Her intent and goal was to immobilize and silence you, and she certainly tried.” Snape said softly. “The antidote, however, can only be taken with food and drink, so please drink, I doubt you’ve had anything to eat today either, especially given what occurred. The antidote won’t remove the gagging curse, but you will no longer experience debilitating weakness.”

“I sicked up that night though.” Harry said in a flat voice. “Why did it work if I was sick?”

“Because Umbridge set the curse in place before you were ill,” Snape said. “I reviewed your memory. It’s too difficult to tell when she began casting the curse, but it’s readily apparent when she finishes, because she finishes with the same comment you use to lift the curse after it’s been triggered. ‘You just haven’t found your feet’.”
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading!! This chapter took ages, but I love it and am so excited to share it with you guys! If you enjoyed it, please leave a comment below, they brighten my day!
Chapter 20 by WiCeBa
Snape pinched the bridge of his nose as Harry stared at the small, foggy bottle before him.

He couldn’t say why he thought the antidote for Umbridge’s poison would come in a larger form, or why he felt it would look more imposing, especially given how many potions he’d recently taken, and how small and innocuous they were.

Perhaps that was precisely why he found them so intimidating?

Potions rarely advertised their effects through appearance, and Harry spent enough time reading with Snape, to know how easily they could appear to cause one effect but, in all actuality, cause many others.

His stomach twisted into a knot as he thought of how many of his difficulties involved poisons and antidotes lately.

He needed a cure after Avery tossed a mis-made potion over him and he needed a cure after the antidote for that potion failed. He needed a cure after Dumbledore tore through his thoughts, and now he needed another because of Umbridge. He half wondered how his life would’ve turned out, if he and Snape hadn’t formed a better relationship.

Maybe Dumbledore would have forced Snape to help? He’d forced Snape to help Harry after the incident with Avery, after all, and Harry still struggled to understand what he’d said to make Snape interact with Aunt Petunia, given their history.

Back in his mum’s flat, Sirius told Harry Dumbledore won by manipulation. Snape never struck Harry as someone who would let Dumbledore control him though, even if that was exactly what had happened the last time they’d spoken in his office. It happened again after Harry’s horrendous meeting with Umbridge as well though. Dumbledore managed to make Snape wait rather than collect Harry himself, however, there’d been too much broken glass littering the floor for Harry to believe their conversation involved any subtle manipulation on Dumbledore’s part.

Harry had been around Snape when he was angry. He knew how controlled Snape was in the face of his own anger and he shuddered to imagine what Dumbledore said to make Snape throw something. Snape only said he and Dumbledore had a disagreement when Harry asked about the glass, he never identified which of them threw something.

For all Harry knew, it may have been Dumbledore who’d thrown something.

However, that seemed unlikely, given how he’d won the argument. Harry carefully searched over his memory of Dumbledore and Umbridge’s conversation and tried to ignore the unbridled rage looming in the background as he recalled shivering awkwardly several steps away from the floo. Dumbledore hadn’t responded to Harry’s age, aside from telling Umbridge it was none of her business. It was difficult to tell if he intentionally ignored Harry’s age in order to push the attention away from Harry, or to distract Umbridge from asking about it for Harry’s sake, or if it had been because Dumbledore had no answers for it.

“Do you know why the aging antidote keeps failing?” Harry asked as he reached a nervous hand out and twisted the antidote for Umbridge’s poison forwards and back.

Snape inhaled slowly.

“It’s just, it’s,” Harry stammered. “I mean, why does it keep failing?” His eyes flickered over the breadcrumbs of a sandwich he struggled to keep down before sweeping upwards and catching Snape’s fingers pressing against the dark purple rings around his eyes.

“I don’t know why.” Snape said as his hands dropped away from his face. “However, I would like to return to our previous conversation—”

“But there has to be a solution, right?” Harry asked quickly. “You think there’s a solution at least, right? That is, it can’t be just unsolvable—”

“Harry,” Snape said before pausing as he held his hand out. “It’s entirely possible Avery mis-stepped more than once in his own brewing process, which would make an antidote that only countered one mistake defective. That you are able to return to your proper age is a sign that the issue is resolvable.”

“But what if I’m not actually growing?” Harry asked as he sat forward. “What if I’m returning to fifteen for two days and not aging past that?”

An odd rigidity stilled along Snape’s back. “Have you shaved in the last few weeks?”

“Erm,” Harry searched over the corners in his mind as he tried to remember anything beyond the last few days. “Yeah, a few times I think?” He vaguely remembered Dean applying more shaving cream than necessary and pretending to be Dumbledore one morning.

“Then you’re aging, however interspersed your growth may be.”

Hair growth seemed like an odd thing to base his survival on, though he wondered if he sounded dramatic with that thought. Harry reached up and held his hand gently over his wild tangle of his hair and tried to guess how long it had been since his last haircut. He couldn’t remember if Mrs Weasley had trimmed his hair after the Triwizard Tournament, or if Aunt Petunia had taken himself and Dudley to the barber sometime over the summer.

The sound of scissors snipped in his ears, but it was difficult to tell when that happened.

“May we return to our previous conversation?” Snape asked as he folded his hands atop his desk. “I’d like to ask once more, if you can pinpoint what I said that set off your dissociation.”

Harry wrinkled his nose. He disagreed with naming the uncomfortable feeling of falling into his thoughts, especially because leaving it nameless could’ve been to their benefit. If they never named it, they never had to bring it up, and Harry liked to think of accidentally falling into his thoughts as being rather difficult to do, as he’d gone the first fifteen years of his life without it stumbling over it.

“There may be an easy solution,” Snape said as he flipped his wrist over to check his watch. Harry wondered how much time he had left before he could take his antidote. “It may be a matter of avoiding certain phrasing, or behaviour.”

Harry blinked upwards. “You think it’ll go away if we just avoid saying certain things?” He asked as something perilously hopeful hummed in his chest. He tried to squash his hope into a more manageable expectation, but his excitement quickly overtook him.

“I think it needs to be dealt with directly.” Snape said, whisking away Harry’s hope with a thick blanket of disappointment. “But I don’t think you should be forced to endure something if it can be avoided.”

“I don’t think I’m enduring anything.” Harry said as he rolled his shoulders against the frustration tightening along his back. “It’s not as if I’m hurt or was hurt.”

That wasn’t a lie either, not truly, because the ache in his head had been self-inflicted. He’d overreacted to Snape’s response, a response which he now knew to be maybe not entirely reasonable, but surely understandable, given what happened last night with Umbridge.

“Harry,” Snape said, dragging Harry from his thoughts. “Just because you’re not physically—”

Harry lunged forward and pulled the stopper from the bottle before one of Snape’s hands quickly dropped on top of his own. Murky liquid sloshed against the insides and very nearly spilled out the top when Snape hissed a soft sound, causing the bottle to rattle unnaturally and shiver to a stop at a precarious angle.

“You still have ten minutes before you can take this yet.” Snape said as he gently tipped the bottle back onto its base. “It can easily damage your stomach lining, please wait.” He added with a long look. “I know this isn’t a conversation you want to have, but please try.”

Harry resisted the urge to slump in his seat. He knew their conversation couldn’t last forever, especially with Snape needing to teach another class soon but discussing his thoughts in this classroom sent shivers up his spine.

He hated this classroom. No matter how much time he and Snape had spent, rebuilding their relationship, the classroom remained the same.

“Please try to explore one question,” Snape said quietly as he held up a single finger. “One question with me, if a discussion feels like too much.”

The night he’d stayed in Spinner’s End, and the curry he ate flickered into his mind. Snape had offered him one bite when three had been too many, but Harry hadn’t been sure if he could stomach even that little of an amount.

“I don’t—” Harry sucked in a stunted, awkward breath. The urge to run his nails over his wrists itched along his arms, but he couldn’t very well indulge in the sated feeling it left behind with Snape’s hand resting heavily over his own. The pendant on his mum’s necklace hummed warmly.

“You said you remember the crack in the floor.” Snape said.

“Yeah,” Harry said as his fingers on his free hand tightened around the hem of his jumper.

“I’d like us to ask about why you focused so firmly on it.”

“But it was a crack in the floor.” Harry glanced down toward the floor and tried to ignore the uncomfortable agitation racing through him. “I don’t think it was very important.”

“I think if you remember it, it served a purpose.” Snape said with a whisper. “You could’ve remembered anything else, but you didn’t.”

Harry sniffed. “I remember other things, like you being angry.”

“But you hadn’t dissociated at that point.”

His memory of the anger in Snape’s voice echoed in Harry’s ears and he tried to recall when exactly he’d fallen into his thoughts.

He pulled at the frayed hem on his jumper and wore a small hole into the fabric.

“Think of it this way,” Snape’s voice softened further. “Your focus landing so firmly on the floor has little to do with the floor itself, and far more to do with why you didn’t look up.” He said slowly. “I think it’s important to understand that reaction.”

Bitterness bubbled up Harry’s throat at his inability to understand why Snape felt the floor was so important. Either he looked at the floor or he didn’t. His response to his own misbehaviour had never been investigated before, aside from being frowned upon, and Harry never had the luxury of learning from his mistakes because no matter how he responded after having messed up, he always made the wrong choice.

Old, itchy memories blinked behind his eyes.

‘Don’t give me that look,’ Aunt Petunia hissed in his ears before shoving his head forward and forcing him to drop his eyes to the shattered China on the carpet. ‘You destructive thing.’

‘No manners,’ His year two teacher said snidely. ‘None at all. Look at me when I speak with you.’ The sound of a ruler cracked near Harry’s ear and his eyes flew upwards and landed on the juice stain soaking into her blouse. ‘Don’t just gawp!’

‘I’m sorry—’ He tried to say as Uncle Vernon’s fingers tightened around his arm.

‘Don’t lie!’ Uncle Vernon whispered as he gave Harry a firm shake. ‘If you were truly sorry, you wouldn’t have hurt my Dudley!’

“Perhaps, given our previous relationship, you were frightened of my reaction and anger.” Snape said as he gently pulled Harry’s hand away from the small bottle. He neglected to let go however, for which, Harry couldn’t tell if he was thankful or not.

Harry shook his head ‘no’ and wrapped a loose thread tightly around a finger on his free hand.

He couldn’t be sure if that was the truth, as he couldn’t remember worrying about Snape hurting him at the time, though he knew he’d worried about precisely that in the past.

“I didn’t need to worry about you being angry.” Harry said quickly, trying his best to ignore his own agitation. “I already knew you were.” He added with a frown. “I don’t think my reaction, or your reaction made me,” He paused as the sour term crossed his tongue. “Made me disassociate.”

“It’s possible it may have been something else entirely.” Snape said as he tilted his head.

Harry nodded.

Snape nodded in agreement. “I’m curious though, about how my anger may have impacted your feelings and concerns.”

He didn’t know what Snape’s anger would do, and that seemed like a stupid idea to think about. Since their relationship changed, Harry hadn’t misbehaved around Snape intentionally and as such, he had no way of knowing what to expect. Snape had changed beyond any of Harry’s expectations, to the point where Harry couldn’t guess if he’d have them write lines or clean cauldrons or if he’d just throw Harry back to the Dursleys.

The odd, thick feeling that weighed on him earlier began to wrap around Harry’s head and crept upwards from his neck. It nearly crested past his ears before a finger trailed down his nose and stopped it in its tracks.

Harry blinked and nearly flinched as he caught sight of Snape, who’d stood from his chair and circled his desk at some point.

Snape paused and inhaled slowly. “That wasn’t my intention,” He said as he trailed his finger over Harry’s nose once more. “I’m sorry.” He added before pulling away.

The quiet classroom echoed in Harry’s ears and felt too wide and too empty for comfort.

“Perhaps then, going by this response, your episode may have involved a fear of my reaction, and what uncertainty you felt around it.” Snape said softly.

Harry’s finger throbbed and he quickly looked down in time to catch the thread he’d twisted around his finger snap free from the jumper. He wished quite suddenly that they could’ve had this discussion in Germany, where he could’ve run to Ms Eileen’s sitting room or his own bedroom to hide.

“Erm,” Harry mumbled in a thin voice. “I dunno.”

“Maybe we should find an agreed upon reaction. You would be aware of how I would respond if we did.” Snape said as he gestured loosely with one hand. “Which may help reduce your uncertainty.”

Harry tossed a nervous look at Snape. “What if you decide not to react in the way we agreed?”

“Then it’s very likely that whatever occurred would require both of us to come to another agreement on a reasonable reaction.”

“What if you don’t want to come to an agreement?” Harry asked as he thought of Snape’s refusal to speak with Tom. He knew Snape’s decision made sense, with the gift of hindsight and more understanding about why Snape wouldn’t interact with Tom, but Harry couldn’t help but be curious about what Snape would say.

An irritable whisper in the back of his mind still wasn’t sure how the crack in the floor connected to a fear of the unknown. He also wasn’t sure if he agreed with Snape about it being the source of his episode, not when he was routinely left in the dark and almost always scrambling for answers. Harry knew exactly how difficult fending for himself was. He didn’t shy away from frightening conversations, or events, Aunt Petunia would’ve never allowed Harry to escape a punishment, nor had Snape, not before their relationship changed.

“If that were to happen, it would be extenuating circumstances and I would be quite clear as to why I made my decision.” Snape said before his eyes softened, and the purple rings around them seemed to darken.

Harry nodded.

Snape stepped back around his desk and checked his wristwatch once more. “You may take that now.” He said as he gave the small bottle on his desk a pointed look. “I think I’d like you to stay in my chambers for the rest of the afternoon; both so you have real peace and quiet, but also so I’m able to help you, if you have any adverse reactions to the antidote.”

“All of this?” Harry asked as he eyed the murky liquid. He was glad to change the conversation, though it lingered heavily in his thoughts.

Snape nodded.

Harry pinched his nose and downed the contents of the bottle before gagging slightly as a sharp, acrid taste and a grainy texture overwhelmed him.

He gave a sharp shudder and handed the bottle to Snape. “Shouldn’t I just go to class?” He asked. He couldn’t remember if he had anything due in Care of Magical Creatures, but with Professor Grubbly-Plank teaching the lesson rather than Hagrid, missing an assignment didn’t bother Harry much. It wasn’t a warm day outside, but he felt the brisk weather would help clear his mind.

“No.” Snape said. “I would rather you look after your health,” He flipped his wrist over and double checked the time. “You deserve and need a break.”

Harry sniffed and tried to find the urge to disagree but given how he’d felt all throughout Potions and Defense, a nap, or at least a bit of peace and quiet, sounded fantastic.

“Try to sleep or read something pleasant.” Snape said as he vanished the bottle, grabbed Harry’s bag and led them both through a crooked side door, down a thin, dimly lit passageway. “I’m not asking you to defer your homework or friends for long, just the afternoon and possibly the early evening.” He added as they slipped into Snape’s chambers.

Hardly anything had changed since Harry left the sitting room this morning, even his stuffed dog still sat, hidden within the couch cushions.

It reminded Harry quite suddenly of everything that occurred already today, and Snape’s meeting with Umbridge and Malfoy.

“Wait, about your meeting,” Harry said as he was guided into Snape’s bedroom. “Am I in trouble?” He asked. He twisted to look at Snape and watched as he cast several spells in succession until a small, bright trail of light fell to the ground and looped Harry. It looked similar to the trail of light he’d seen racing over Snape’s shoulder after Tom snuck through his thoughts.

“You’ll serve detention with me and write a letter, apologizing to Mr Malfoy, but following that, the matter is closed.” Snape said as Harry watched the light circle the bed posts and dash atop the covers.

“That’s it?” Harry asked.

Snape raised his eyebrows. “The curse cast on Mr Malfoy was dark but given your lack of knowledge in that branch of magic, and the fact that there are no books in the library where you could’ve discovered it by accident, Dumbledore argued that Mr Malfoy’s affliction was more accidental than intentional, which coincides with witness reports. You haven’t yet learnt nonverbals, nor was any professor able to explain where you would’ve learnt a dark curse that fell out of style over a decade ago.”

Harry blinked stupidly as he dropped onto the bed.

“Umbridge felt your punishment was lacking, however, as the Head of House for the injured party, my opinion takes precedence.”

“Did she ask you anything about my, erm, my age, or?” Harry asked as he tried to bring his thoughts up to speed. They seemed intentionally slow and refused to fully grasp what Snape said. He idly wondered if that had to do with how stressed he’d been today, but he disliked thinking about that.

“After Mr Malfoy left, she asked me if I knew where your student file had gone off to.” Snape said as he set Harry’s bag beside the bed. “She believes Dumbledore removed it from the Staffroom after your interaction with Mr Malfoy.”

“It’s missing?” Harry asked.

He doubted it would be an interesting read, but he felt Malfoy could easily find something nasty to do with it.

“No.” Snape said as he leant against the dresser. “I have it.”

“Oh.” Harry said dully.

“How are you feeling?”

Harry blinked upwards. His head ached with a thick, uncomfortable pressure but the antidote he’d swallowed didn’t seem to bother him beyond leaving a foul taste in his mouth. He half wondered if the bed’s presence was making him tired or if he was just exhausted himself?

“Tired.” He answered.

Snape nodded and helped Harry transfigure his uniform into something more comfortable before helping him settle into bed.

Harry’s last waking sight was of Snape running long fingers through his fringe and whispering, “Sleep well.”


——



A busy work week followed that stressful Monday, made partially worse by the essay set by Umbridge and several students who felt Harry deserved bitter looks for having been, in their opinion, the cause of their extra work. Harry, Ron, and Hermione each managed to turn the essay in, and in Harry’s opinion, it was as Ministry approved as he and Hermione could make it. He still felt Umbridge would find some reason or another to pull him into her office though.

It wasn’t until Friday, when Hermione began tugging Harry and Ron from their cozy spot in the common room near the fire that Harry even remembered their plan to form a study group.

Heavy rain pounded over tall glass windowpanes as they stepped casually past them.

“I’ve put together a list,” Hermione said as she led them through winding, washed out corridors. “Just, erm, several spells, a bit of theory, I spoke with Professor McGonagall as well, who gave me a pass into the Restricted Section, where I was able to pull a few books in preparation.”

Ron nodded. “Right, right, did either of you write to Lupin, or Snuffles maybe?”

“Not about this.” Harry said as Hermione shook her head ‘no’.

Both Sirius and Ms Eileen found time to write Harry back, though their letters weren’t of much use toward the study group. Sirius tried to keep his letter light and happy, but it was clear he was hardly sleeping after he mentioned researching Harry’s gagging curse around the clock. He also wrote about Lupin being an annoying shadow, but that he far preferred his company to Kreacher’s.

Ms Eileen’s letter had been a bit more informative. She mentioned the argument in Snape’s office, as well as Harry’s meltdown.

Dumbledore hadn’t wanted Snape to involve himself with Umbridge unless it was to help her. She spoke about Snape’s response as if it were something he wasn’t proud of, though she neglected to go into more detail, and Harry couldn’t tell if she meant he was embarrassed about throwing something, angry about having accepted Dumbledore’s decision, or both. She had some inkling as to why Harry went to Snape’s chambers directly after his horrendous meeting, opposed to Madam Pomfrey’s though, because she mentioned Snape warning her to be prepared for them to return home, should they need to.

She hadn’t known as much as she would’ve liked, as she’d only been contacted after Harry melted down, but she felt Snape’s reaction had been concerning, even then. Apparently, he’d struggled to maintain a train of thought, and been horrified with himself.

Her letter mostly spoke about her and Snape’s worry for Harry though.

Harry read it several times after he’d received it, and several more times again in bed before he fell asleep.

‘S always struggles when those they care for are hurting.’

Harry hadn’t shared the letter with Snape, or anyone else. He couldn’t remember if anyone had ever mentioned openly caring for Harry in writing. Of course, they showed it in other ways. Sirius made his care and love for Harry clear in his intentions, as had Ron and Hermione, and Mrs Weasley was always kind as well, as she’d opened her house to him for summers and holidays.

He couldn’t remember any other specific comments from her letter, but that line was written into him now, and he found himself often struggling to think of much else since reading it.

“Maybe we ought to?” Ron asked, pulling Harry from his thoughts.

They rounded a tall bannister and made their way down several flights of stairs before coming out near the library.

Harry felt the cold day would’ve chased away most students, seeing as common rooms and dormitories were far more pleasant to work on homework in, but an unusual cluster of students lingered throughout the stacks.

“Professor Lupin said that probably wouldn’t work though, remember?” Hermione said before lowering her voice as they slipped through the doorway. She nodded and smiled weakly at Dean but swallowed it after spying Seamus before finding a desk near a secluded corner in the back of the room. “They specifically told Ruffles to be prepared.”

Several heads turned their way as they settled in and sent a small thrill of nervousness up Harry’s back. “Exactly how many people did you tell about the study group?” He asked.

He spotted Cho, lingering near a tall girl he vaguely recognized, but couldn’t name.

“A fair few,” Ron said as he fell into a seat across from Harry. “Word’s just been growing really, I told Fred and George and they asked if they could mention it around and, well,” He shrugged before looking up and turned increasingly slowly as he realized how many people were starting to surround their small table. “Word, er, gets around?” He finished with a croak.

Hermione gave a nervous laugh before waving her wand with an artful twirl and muttering a quiet, “Muffliato.”

“How are you three?” Fred asked as he slid into a seat beside Ron. “Excited?”

“Elated?” George asked as he appeared behind Hermione.

“Ecstatic?” Fred asked before giving George a welcoming gesture.

“Enthu—”

Hermione shook her head and waved at them as she set her bookbag on her chair and tugged out several ragged rolls of parchment. “Yes, yes all of those, all of the above!”

“Goodness, you don’t seem so,” George said as he wrinkled his nose. “We’re only trying to lighten the tension. We’ve bravely waited here for nearly an hour without anything fun to do, and believe me, we tried. Snape gave us several very dirty looks.”

“What?” Harry asked as he gave them a confused look. “Why was Snape here?”

“Well, it may come as a surprise to you, Harry,” Fred said as he folded his hands neatly atop the table and looked down his nose at Harry. “But a library is a public place. This one happens to be well known for its charming staff.”

Hermione tossed Fred an unimpressed look before glancing over their now crowded table and swallowing at the amount of people who’d gathered in a short time. “Erm,” She started as her fingers worried along the feathering on her quill. “Well, erm, well, hello.”

Several people Harry recognized nodded a greeting while others smiled or rudely, gave no reaction at all.

“This idea, erm, came about because, erm, well Slinkhard just isn’t a very good teacher, is he?” Hermione asked with a thin smile. “Well, I suppose if we wanted to learn about how to write a poor Defense book, he’d be great.”

“I don’t know, I think he has several smart ideas,” Luna Lovegood said as she squeezed between Cho and the tall girl. “He advises running away from our enemies, and I find that to be quite reasonable.”

Hermione’s jaw clicked as she twisted to look at Luna. “But that’s not always an option, is it?”

“No, I suppose not.” Luna said in an airy voice. “But that’s why we’re here, right?” She asked before looking over the odd collection of students. “To figure out what to do when running away isn’t an option.”

“Right,” Hermione nodded. “I checked out several books in preparation—”

“Wait, this isn’t going to be practical?” Someone behind Harry asked quietly. “We’re really never going to learn how to cast real shields or stunners?”

Hermione tossed a nervous look around as a disappointed slump echoed through the crowd. She gave Harry and Ron a quiet, panicked glance and Harry realized quite suddenly how out of their league they were. When Hermione described her expectations for a study group, Harry pictured a few students centered around a table, whispering about which spells held up on the run and which needed to be more stationary. That wouldn’t truly prepare anyone for Death Eaters or Voldemort though.

Ribbons whispered over Harry’s lips and sent static humming faintly through his hair.

In hindsight, being entered in a deadly tournament and spending the summer reading through magical theory texts with Snape gave Harry more of a leg up than he realized.

“Well, I had said we’d meet in the library,” Hermione said as a flush darkened her cheeks. “It’d be hard to hold a practical lesson here.”

“So, we will be practicing then?” Harry twisted around in time to catch Justin Finch-Fletchley finish speaking. He gave a friendly nod when he caught Harry’s eye, leaving Harry confused for it Justin felt their study group was meant to replace what Umbridge should’ve been teaching them, or if he understood what Hermione had meant when she’d said, ‘study group’.

“I’m not actually sure.” Hermione said. “I have a few resources that may be able to help us, but I’m not, I’m not actually a teacher.”

“Bollocks, Hermione,” Ron said as he shook his head. “You’ve taught Harry and I loads of things.”

“Well, not really,” Hermione said. “I just used the book, that’s not a replacement for a competent teacher.” Her jaw tightened again as her eyes swept over the curious crowd. “I, I don’t know if I could teach you all, more, I had in mind that, erm.”

Hermione’s eyes landed on Harry, and she gave him a shaky smile.

Harry blinked stupidly at her before giving her a curious nod.

“Harry knows a few spells!” Hermione said brightly. “Ruf—Lupin taught him. We could write to him, and ask him questions?”

Horror flooded Harry. In less than a second, he found what felt like hundreds of faults in her logic. He was already working on his own aging issue, Tom, the doorway he kept seeing in his dreams, Umbridge’s essay, Malfoy’s apology note and even more. He had no time to plan supplemental lessons, he hardly knew how to teach!

He hadn’t known Hermione meant to offer him up!

“You think Professor Lupin would still be willing to help us?” Lavender asked as she peeked out from behind Parvati.

“Did you get private lessons or something?” Seamus asked. “A bit of special treatment, while he was here?”

“No!” Harry hissed beneath his breath as he glared at Hermione. “I don’t write to him.”

“But he’s written to us.” Hermione said with a confused look. “So, it wouldn’t be so strange for us to write back.”

“And you think Potter knows enough spells to help us get through our OWL year?” Seamus asked. “Some of us can’t get by with big names. We’d need to do real magic at these exams, not just show off.”

Harry gripped the table and pictured the snitch as he reigned in an angered response.

A dampened sense of success trickled through his thoughts. The snitch left him just distracted enough to ignore the mess of humiliation and dread bubbling in his stomach, and he tried to distract himself further by imagining all the ways he could go about snatching it, with endless twirls, dives, feints, and rings, but they hardly held his attention.

“That sounds like a personal problem, Finnigan.” Hermione said with a dark look. “I’ve checked over study guides for previous OWL exams and made a list of spells and theory—”

“Some of us are taking our NEWT’s though,” Angelina Johnson said before looking toward Harry. “You’re lovely Harry, but I don’t know if you’d be able to perform magic that far out of your league.” She said with a consoling look.

“You’d at least need to do more than summon a broomstick or breathe underwater.” Seamus said as he crossed his arms.

“Come off it Finnigan!” Ron hissed. “You can’t even do that! How about you show us a stunner, or a shield charm!” He said as he jerked in his seat. Fred dropped a hand over his arm, keeping him from moving much closer. “Which would you rather, Harry showing you how to cast those, or reading more of Slinkhard’s bloody theory!”

The snitch hummed through Harry’s thoughts and kept him centered, but he somehow doubted he’d be able to keep this up long term. He almost wished Ron would’ve started something, because at least then they could’ve shut Seamus up for a short while.

He doubted they’d have been allowed into the library anytime soon, afterwards.

“You-Know-Who isn’t going to let you practice a few times before he attacks you, you know.” Ron added in a vaguely calmer voice. “He doesn't really give you any notice, does he, Harry?”

Harry felt his cheeks light up. If he felt inclined to honesty, which he didn’t, he’d say Voldemort often gave Harry a heads-up. Harry’s scar lit up in agony whenever Voldemort was nearby. It lit up in agony whenever he was far away too though, as well as when Harry dreamt of him, or saw visions of him.

Perhaps it wasn’t the catchall signal Harry sometimes considered it to be.

“No.” Harry said quietly.

He glanced over the crowd and tried to swallow back his worry for them as several faces paled and a few more gave their friends worried looks. Umbridge may have intended to leave them defenseless to avoid an attack on the Ministry, but she’d succeeded in leaving them defenseless against Voldemort instead.

“It’d probably help if we knew what he was like.” Cormac McLaggen said with a self-important nod. “So we’re able to prepare, of course. I doubt he would expect for so many students to know his tricks, we could probably catch him by surprise.”

Harry stared at Cormac.

“Yeah,” George said with wide eyes. “Loads of us pop out of the bushes and scream so you’ll have a chance to run away.”

Several people snickered as Harry felt a small laugh climb up his throat.

“Does he, though?” Neville asked quietly. “Have tricks, I mean.” He added as he looked toward Harry.

Harry swallowed heavily as the smell of burnt ozone flickered through the air. He tried to inhale slowly but pinched his mouth closed after the burnt smell grew too strong. He wished he was back in Snape’s chambers, or the common room writing half cracked dream journals.

“He’s a liar.” Ginny said, tearing the attention away from Harry.

Ron, Fred, and George’s heads each swung sharply toward where Ginny sat. Ron turned again and worriedly searched Harry and Hermione’s faces before he looked back toward his sister.

“He’ll say he’ll give you anything, but he’s a liar.” Ginny said again.

“Noted.” George said with a serious look in his eyes.

“Well, how do you know, first off, and second, that’s not really useful against him in, say, a combat—” Cormac said before letting out an odd wheeze.

Harry twisted around and spotted Ron’s fist disappearing beneath their table. He wondered how much Ron and his brothers knew about his and Ginny’s meeting with Tom in the Chamber of Secrets. He hadn’t ever spoken with Ginny about it afterwards, not after Ron mentioned her needing space to be on her own.

“We won’t listen to him when he speaks.” Fred clarified with a casual nod.

Ginny nodded with him. “I’m not sure about actual tricks though.” She added as she looked toward Neville.

Eyes landed on Harry again, this time feeling more ravenous than before.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! Please leave a comment below if you enjoyed it!
I'm sorry about the break, but I've been told quite reliably that they're good for the soul.
Chapter 21 by WiCeBa
“He must have something up his sleeve,” Cormac said when Harry failed to respond. “Some moves, a spell, something? You can’t get where he is without utilizing a successful pattern.”

“How would you know?” Hermione asked with a disagreeable look.

“I happen to have family in the Ministry.” Cormac said. “They have valuable—”

“I’m not sure if they’re as helpful as you think, not when the Ministry failed to stop him the first time and failed to see him coming this time.” Luna said. “I think it’s less likely he has useful tricks, and more likely he just knows more magic than you. He’s had more time than you and knows more basics.”

Cormac flushed. “You don’t get to be a Dark Lord with basics—”

“No, I think Luna’s right.” Cho said. “I mean, Ced—it’s a lot of what Ced—” She choked and sniffled as a misty apologetic look spilled across her face.

Cho’s tall friend gave her a consoling nod and mouthed the name, ‘Cedric’, with a pointed look toward Harry.

Guilt poured over Harry as he shrank deeper into his chair. The snitch he’d been attempting to chase after dissipated into thin air as scattered memories of the graveyard and Cedric’s body flickered through his thoughts.

Humiliation wove itself into the sticky, muddled mess of emotions.

He blindly stepped past his terror that night in order to try remembering what Cedric’s final words had been, but he couldn’t think of much beyond the frightening sound of Voldemort’s voice and the thundering heart in his chest.

Voldemort’s high laugh echoed in his ears at the memories, making Harry tense, but the uncomfortable anger he often associated with it didn’t appear. Maybe Voldemort couldn’t appear unless Harry was angry? He’d certainly been angry the last few times Voldemort appeared, but he didn’t think Voldemort had ever appeared otherwise.

Hermione hummed from somewhere nearby, but Harry struggled to focus on it.

A thick grey fog trickled from behind the bookshelves and began wrapping around tombstones. The burnt ozone Harry had been trying to ignore ignited around the table and caused him to drop his gaze to the floor.

He jolted backwards after spying Cedric’s pale, lifeless form, lying beneath his chair. His glassy, blank eyes stared through Harry and his lips were split open in permanent shock. No matter how Harry tried to hide, Cedric’s last quiet gasp of breath found him, and pounded in his ears.

The high laugh paused and gave a soft, almost comforting sound as it silenced the gasp for Harry. Despite the horrible laugh, Harry couldn’t help but feel a bit relieved that it helped him. It seemed to feel as if Harry had an issue with death though, rather than Cedric.

Sweat dripped down his back as he quickly tore his eyes from Cedric’s body to stare forward.

He couldn’t say if he agreed with the feeling, and instead found his thoughts far more occupied with grief, and what Cedric’s life could’ve had, if he hadn’t been murdered. He couldn’t remember, now that he thought of it, what had happened to Cedric between Voldemort’s rebirth and Harry’s escape.

Perhaps the Death Eaters had left his body alone?

Maybe they hadn’t desecrated Cedric’s body because Voldemort didn’t allow them to humiliate the dead until he’d begun the act himself?

Voldemort didn’t seem to care about dead enemies though, not that Harry knew of, but he clearly enjoyed toying with living ones. Much like a snake, Voldemort relished circling his prey when they were vulnerable and suffocating them with terror until they burst from the inside out.

He hadn’t bothered with any of that behaviour for Cedric. Cedric had just been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A thick, pained feeling crawled along Harry’s windpipe at just how quickly his murder had happened.

Chance had been the largest factor in Cedric’s death. If he hadn’t stayed with Harry after they landed, or if he hadn’t agreed for them to grab the cup together, or even if he hadn’t made it to the end of the maze, he may have lived.

Cedric had been far more skilled in magic than Harry, and Harry wasn’t pigheaded enough to deny it. He’d had more years of schooling, and his family clearly cared for him. They’d likely helped Cedric with anything he needed, and he’d hardly stood a chance against Voldemort when it came down to it because he simply had no time to react.

Harry suddenly couldn’t help feeling as if a study group was a useless, horribly misguided way to prepare anyone for Voldemort.

Maybe it would be better if everyone just ran screaming at the sight of him?

Running and screaming had never helped Harry during Dudley’s hunts. They’d always caught up to him eventually. If they hadn’t caught him by Monday, they’d find him on Tuesday, or Wednesday. They’d hunt him down all week if they had to.

They’d often thought of their belated attacks as retribution.

‘Why d’you bother running?’ Dudley once asked, after cornering Harry in the back garden. `We live in the same house; I always catch you eventually.’

Harry carefully sidestepped Cedric in his memory as he clung closer to the tidy, power washed walls. ‘You also catch the flu every year Dud,’ He had snapped, thinking it was the cleverest retort at the time. ‘This isn’t really something I’d be proud of.’

He scrunched his eyes closed as the memory of the bloody nose he received ached over his face.

Dudley had been right.

Running, when someone would eventually catch you, wasn’t a long-term plan.

So, what could someone do if they couldn’t run?

His cupboard slammed into the forefront of his mind with bone rattling force, and every horrid day he’d spent inside landed alongside it. A hissing, miserable bitterness curled past the small, scratched doorknob and reminded Harry of how ‘hiding’ and ‘trapped’ were almost synonymous in his mind.

When he’d been younger, he liked to imagine his cupboard as having been somewhat safe, but he knew how easily Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia could reach in and drag him out, and while Dudley hadn’t ever gone inside of it, he’d slammed on the door or bounded up and down the stairs with the intent of making it as hostile as he could. It had never been safe, no matter how much Harry wished it could be.

He realized quite quickly what the only route to success was, if he could stomach calling it that. Fighting back felt as unlikely to work as running or hiding, but at least it offered him the chance to live, if he managed to hit back hard enough.

Besides, if no one tried to stop Voldemort, then he’d already won.

Life would be much easier if they did give in to him though. The idea of peace and quiet soothed the taut muscles that felt ever tight in his back. He wondered if he could smell the small market near Ms Eileen’s house, and the flowers and snacks that were often sold there.

They smelled strange, or maybe Harry had spent too much time in Hogwarts to remember them clearly.

The pungent, wild honeysuckle trees that grew along the road to the market were too pungent to forget, yet they were oddly absent from his memory.

“I can’t believe you kept that.” Hermione said loudly, shaking Harry from his confusion.

“It was one of the best things I’d ever seen,” Ron answered back as he shook his head. “I wanted to make it into a get-well card for Lockhart afterwards, or at least keep it as a memento.”

“Kept what?” Harry asked. He shrank even lower in his chair after more eyes landed on him and he very nearly managed to choke out an apology for having forgotten to listen, but Ron spoke too quickly.

“The flyer from Snape and Lockhart’s Dueling Club.” Ron said.

Harry blinked confusedly. “I’d forgotten about that.”

“How could you?” Fred asked.

“It was bloody brilliant, watching Lockhart get his arse handed to him!” George said.

“Speak for yourself,” Justin muttered. “Some of us remember it a bit differently—”

“Right, well,” Hermione said with a cough. A flush rushed over her cheeks as she looked over the collection of students. Harry idly wondered if she still felt embarrassed over the massive crush she’d had on Lockhart, even though she’d admitted, however belatedly, how awful of a person he was. “My point, again, is that it wouldn’t be so strange for a professor to help us with skills and a place to practice. Professor Lupin doesn’t exactly have easy access to the school.”

Something bright rushed through Harry’s chest as he asked, “You think Snape would still offer to help us?”

“I doubt it.” Cormac said with an arrogant sniff. “And he’s not exactly my first pick—”

“Well, rumor has it, he’s always wanted the Defense position.” Lavender said. “Umbridge might have something to say about it though.”

Harry couldn’t guess how Snape would react, but he knew how Dumbledore would. Ms Eileen mentioned his preferring Snape to stay on Umbridge’s good side, as had Snape himself, regardless of how that alliance reflected on his character.

“It’s not as if Snape likes her.” Hermione gave Harry a curious look.

“It’s not as if we like Snape.” Seamus said darkly.

“I’d take Snape over Umbridge.” Harry muttered with a snide look toward Seamus.

Several eyes widened at that statement, but no one felt it odd enough to comment on. Harry supposed they hated Umbridge as much as he did, though he hoped none of them had been poisoned or cursed like he had been.

He sat straighter in his chair as his worry over answering questions about Voldemort drifted. The tombstones no longer poked out from behind anything, and though he couldn’t bring himself to check, he hoped Cedric no longer laid beneath his chair. He swallowed heavily and tried to push him from his mind. Cedric wasn’t here, despite how present he seemed to be. Mr Diggory had buried him, and it would’ve been difficult for Cedric to pull himself from the earth and make it all the way into the library on his own if that were the case.

He’d thought before about how little Snape minded teaching Harry when they were one on one. He often enjoyed it even, especially when Harry had been able to point out reasons why a potion wouldn’t work or the theory behind certain spells.

Bright, happy memories of the small proud smile that curled across Snape’s lips whenever Harry succeeded flickered in his thoughts.

“How do we know he’s even qualified?” Cormac asked as he wrinkled his nose. “Professor Lupin would be more appropriate, despite his,” He coughed slightly around the word ‘affliction’. “Besides, I thought we’d already agreed on Lupin, and all Snape’s ever done is moan about wanting the position, and aside from a demonstration at an old Dueling Club—”

A serious look crossed Ron’s face as his eyes met Harry’s. “I’m pretty sure the Dueling Club qualifies as proof of skill.”

“He’s not willing to help with everything though, is he?” Dean asked quietly. “He also doesn’t love us, no offense,” He added with a cursory glance over the crowd, though his eyes lingered over Neville and Harry. “And he’s not exactly the easiest bloke to listen to.”

“We should ask before we make judgements,” Luna said with a smile. “In the right moment, I’ve found that he’s rather helpful.”

Harry wondered quite suddenly when Snape and Luna spoke to one another. He supposed she could have easily asked questions pertaining to Potions, but he hoped she hadn’t. Harry didn’t want to put Snape in positions that would make him uncomfortable, but he did want him to feel calm enough to speak with Harry’s friends

“That still doesn’t help us with fighting You-Know-Who,” Neville said. “Not that I want to bring, er, bring him back up, but,” He looked nervously toward Harry for a moment. “Would Snape be willing to help,” He loosely gestured toward the group. “Us, against him?”

“Snape is the reason I know ‘expelliarmus’,” Harry said with a quick nod. “He couldn’t have known how much I’d need it when he’d shown it to us, but maybe that’s the case with him and a lot of spells?”

An uncomfortable vulnerability washed over him, but he tried to ignore it as he watched Neville.

He hoped Neville understood his meaning, even if he struggled to understand it himself. Neville was right to be worried, given how everyone in Gryffindor house felt Snape was a Death Eater and they weren’t wrong, but Snape didn’t need to out himself as a spy in order to help students learn basic self-defense. He just needed to perform a few spells, much like he had with Lockhart.

“You used a disarming charm?” Zacharias Smith asked with a bitter huff of laughter. “You tried to disarm You-Know-Who?”

Ribbons slipped over Harry’s lips with a faint electrical charge, making him swallow again as he rolled his shoulders against trickling annoyance.

“Would you rather he has his wand?” Hermione asked hotly.

“Well,” Zacharias said with a flush. “Of course not, that’s—no one would—”

“Why are you questioning it then?” Hermione hummed as she crossed her arms.

“I’m not!”

“Clearly you are!”

“I’m just saying, it’s not very useful in the grand scheme of things, is it?”

“It is if you aim it correctly.” Harry snapped. “He’s not exactly expecting opposition.”

“And why would he?!” Zacharias asked. “I’m just saying, fighting back isn’t really an option for all of us, is it?!”

“Yes, it is!” Harry hissed as the uncomfortable anger bubbled in the back of his mind with a feeling that almost bordered on pleasure. It didn’t feel entirely uncomfortable this time though, rather, it seemed as if it felt necessary, or reasonable what with Harry’s current treatment. “He—” He inhaled heavily as the snitch hummed to life and he chased after it with a confused fervor. He didn’t like the anger, but he couldn’t help but feel justified in the moment. He wished he’d thought more about helping with Hermione’s study group earlier, if he had, he’d at least have thought more on how to fight against Voldemort’s methods without going into intimate detail on his character.

The anger twisted around the snitch and sang a high, proud sound.

“He wants to show you,” Harry said with a foggy feeling. “He wants you to know why he’s the best and if you try to fight, you’ll see—”

“If we try to fight?” Ginny asked with a squint.

The anger cracked as something vile spilled forth into Harry at having been thoughtlessly cut off, but he forced the snitch back to the front of his thoughts in another attempt to subdue it.

Hermione’s voice echoed around him again and laid out expectations for the group, but Harry found himself struggling to pay attention to her as the snitch blinked in and out of his mind’s eye. Snape believed the snitch could keep him safe from Voldemort and Harry believed him, despite how he felt sometimes. He knew they shouldn’t engage with the feeling in Harry’s head, but he somehow wished they would. Ginny had given a clear reason for why they shouldn’t, and Harry knew now why Snape was fearful of engaging so blatantly with the cruel figure in Harry’s thoughts.

He couldn’t deny his urge to speak with it though.

If just for a moment.

The fuzzy feeling quite agreed. If they did speak with it, they might be able to figure out how Voldemort was casting magic, or if it even was Voldemort.

If it was him, he showed Harry odd memories.

Snape hadn’t yet mentioned if Ms Eileen had written to him with help on whether or not the memories Harry saw were true, but Harry wondered if that had more to do with Ms Eileen needing to go over her own life experiences. He supposed it would be difficult to remember events from so long ago, especially if those events were tied to frightening memories.

He didn’t know enough about Ms Eileen’s childhood, and he couldn’t bring himself to push her with letters if it had been frightening.

“So, we agree then,” Hermione said with a nod. She tossed a cautious look over the crowd before pulling out a small roll of parchment. “From now on, we keep this from Umbridge. We’ll copy down the spells we’re looking to learn, write Professor Lupin, and if he’s open to it, speak with Snape, and look into a place to practice.” She laid the parchment out and gestured for everyone around them to begin signing it.

Harry quickly signed his name and slipped nervously from his chair before sneaking away from the buzzing crowd. He couldn’t spy Cedric’s prone form lying anywhere, but he wasn’t sure if that was a sure sign of his being gone or not.

Rain cracked over the glass and dulled the chatter behind him.

He rubbed his nails over his wrists and wondered how Snape would feel if the three of them turned up at his office, begging him to help them. Lupin mentioned Snape’s ability to help, but again, Snape hadn’t been the most—

“Are you alright?” Ginny whispered.

Harry jolted.

“You looked,” Ginny started before tossing a careful glance toward the group. “Well,” She whispered. “They’re not always the kindest, are they?”

The anger Harry had been poorly ignoring burned in his chest again. He couldn’t think of a reason to be angry with Ginny though, not when she’d taken the attention away from him once and was clearly trying to help again.

“They’re,” Harry started softly. “I dunno.”

“Nosy.” Ginny nodded. “Unwilling to take no for an answer.” She added as she crossed her arms. “I’m not sure if I’m hopeful for them to ever understand or not.”

Harry shook his head. “It’s probably better they don’t.” He scratched his nails over his wrists once more and tried to remain focused on the snitch in his imagination. It swooped downward, allowing distant pines to crop up below Harry and remind him of Ms Eileen’s happy home.

The anger didn’t seem bothered by the pines, or at least, it didn’t set them on fire this time. It almost felt content, and as if it didn’t mind Harry ignoring it for the moment.

“Well,” Hermione huffed as she appeared to Harry’s right. She stuffed the parchment into her bag, along with quills and a few books. “I’m surprised about how well that went.” She said with a smile.

“Well?” Ginny repeated incredulously. “They were vultures!”

Ron frowned and threw his hands in the air. “We’re trying to help them and that’s how they react.”

“They were curious, rudely so, I admit.” Hermione whispered. “But they agreed to a secret, and even more so, to Snape potentially helping us.”

“But they didn’t love that idea.” Harry said beneath his breath.

“Who would though?” Hermione asked just as quietly. She twisted to cover the open gap in their small group and herded them closer to the rain-slick glass. “Think of us last year, we’d have gone to any length to avoid asking Snape for help, and we probably wouldn’t have accepted it as an option even if it became the only one we had left.”

Harry debated her comment for a long moment before begrudgingly nodding.

Ron sniffed but gave an agreeable grunt. “D’you suppose we should just go ask him now then?” Ron asked. “Before Umbridge hears about this?”

Hermione scoffed and began laying out her beliefs for why no one would spill their new secret on account of a charm she’d placed in the parchment they’d signed. She spent a few minutes waiting for the library to clear as she walked them through the complicated spell work involved before Ginny spoke up again.

“Snape’s office hours are about now, aren’t they? Luna offered to ask for us, but—” Ginny shrugged offhandedly. “I dunno who he’d be more open to listening to, what with.” She paused and flicked her hands vaguely toward Harry.

Harry tried to guess if Snape would accept assisting with a study group if Luna brought the idea to him rather than Harry. He might think it had less to do with revenge if Luna asked, but he could easily see him becoming angry when he eventually learned of Harry, Ron, and Hermione’s involvement.

It would be difficult to claim innocence when they’d been the founding members of the group.

Ron flipped his wrist over to check his watch before leading them out of the library and through the chilly castle.

The snitch faded in and out of existence again and Harry wondered quite suddenly if Snape would be able to sense the anger in his head when they spoke with him. Harry struggled to guess what the anger looked like from the outside, and if it was detectable at all. He supposed it must be, because he clearly remembered the soft hiss he’d heard before Dumbledore drew his wand on Harry at Privet Drive, which, while Harry knew he’d never trust Dumbledore again, he doubted the old wizard’s reaction had been accidental.

“Harry?” Ginny asked as she tagged alongside them.

Harry blinked toward her as they swept around a corner and down a thin stairwell.

“They didn’t bring up anything dreadful with their questions, did they?” She asked quietly. “Nothing too scary, or worrying?” She cast a quick look over her shoulder, which encouraged Harry to do the same.

He idly spotted Cho and her tall friend walk past the entrance to the stairwell, but no one had followed them through it.

“McLaggen’s a tosser, same as Smith.” Ginny hissed beneath her breath. “What was all that ‘relatives in high places’ rubbish?” She asked as she mimed air quotes. “You’d think he hadn’t grown up with the same Ministry we have!”

“I reckon he’s just desperate for a bit of attention.”

“You think?” Ginny said sarcastically.

“Maybe he should consider joining a drama club rather than a study group?” Harry asked. “At least then we’d be able to clap when he stopped talking.”

Ginny snickered as they entered the dungeons and damp air sank around them.

The last four years at Hogwarts left Harry with a firm understanding of the weather patterns that took hold of the castle. The worst, by far, was the dungeons. He couldn’t speak on what they were like in the summer, but in autumn and spring, icy, wet air clung to anything that moved.

Winter left them oddly dry sometimes, but far colder than any other season.

Harry almost wished life would hurry up and skip past the miserable, wet periods. The distant, fuzzy feeling circling his head found the weather almost nostalgic though, despite Harry’s distinctly disagreeable opinion.

He’d never felt the dungeons would hold any happy, nostalgic memories for him, and so far, they hadn’t.

They wound around twisting, shadowy passageways and deeper below the castle before stepping past Snape’s dimly lit classroom. Several hushed groups of students drifted past on their route and almost looked surprised to see Harry. Their eyes followed the four of them before a short third year hissed a sharp sound and snuck down a side hallway while the rest watched until Harry and his friends rounded a corner.

A nervous itch crept up his back as they trekked deeper still. His mum’s necklace hummed to life and beat back against the odd feeling of being watched.

Malfoy had mentioned getting revenge on Harry and he couldn’t help but feel as if now was as good a time as any.

He wished they’d remembered to bring the map, or at least had thought to check it before making their way down here. It wouldn’t have been the most convenient detour, with the library being on the first floor and the map on the seventh, but it would’ve made Harry feel a fair bit more confident.

They could turn back, but Harry didn’t fancy admitting his worries to Ron, Hermione, or Ginny. It felt too much like when Sirius and Lupin learnt of Harry’s worries.

He didn’t want anyone to be cautious and careful around him. He wasn’t made of glass.

Ron, Hermione, and Ginny would likely understand his fears though. In fact, Hermione would probably champion any extra precautions for Harry’s peace of mind, especially after Harry’s last reaction to Snape’s anger, which hadn’t been healthy in the slightest.

He didn’t want to run away though. He hadn’t run away from his issues when he’d been six and he’d been far less capable then.

Well, maybe he had run. He distinctly remembered tearing out of Privet Drive and running straight into Avery’s trap.

Snape’s comments about taking precautions before spying hummed in his ears. He knew they weren’t about to spy, but given what Harry knew of Malfoy’s plans, blindly strolling through a place Malfoy often hung about in, didn’t seem terribly bright.

“Ugh!” Harry jerked as a rancid smell melted into the air and billowed around them. His fear of Avery’s potion falling on him again shot up his back, but the smell surrounding him was far sweeter than Avery’s rotten brew. He briefly worried over whether or not he was imagining it until Ginny coughed and dove behind him.

“Did something die?” She asked as she plugged her nose.

“A rat maybe?” Hermione backed up and knocked into Harry. “Or many rats?” Her hand flew upwards to cover her mouth and nose. “It’s not normally this, erm, putrid, here is it? Maybe someone’s working in an empty classroom?”

“D’you suppose we should investigate?” Ron asked.

“Let’s, erm,” Harry paused as the worry of something even remotely similar to Avery’s potion landing on him crept over his shoulders. “Let’s take the west passageway, maybe there won't be any of this—” He flicked his hands around them and twisted on his heel. “Around there.”

He was too used to Snape’s hidden passageways. He wished they were closer to Snape’s Chambers; they might have been able to hide inside them and wait until Snape returned from his office.

He wasn’t running away, even if the west passageway let out conveniently near Filch’s office on the ground floor.

“If I didn’t know better, I’d say Fred and George were behind this.” Ginny said.

They slipped over slick cobblestone and tumbled into one another as they stole into the thin passageway before Ron’s voice echoed in the dark. “Where’s the bloody light?!”

“Lumos!” Hermione hissed with a sharp flick of her wand. “I don’t like that these sconces aren’t lighting up.” She said in a near whinge as they stepped through the passageway. “You don’t think she’s already found out about things, do you?” She asked nervously.

“One dark hallway and a mankie smell sets you off?” Ron asked before lighting his own wand with a whisper. Heavy shadows cut across his face as he looked toward the dark sconces and made a curious sound.

Harry squinted as he spied small rivulets of water appearing as Ron’s light trailed loosely over the walls.

It bubbled oddly from thin cracks within the walls. He knew it was raining outside, pouring actually, a thought which led Harry to feel grateful for Oliver Wood’s graduation from Quidditch Captain, but he couldn’t help but wonder how so much water found its way into the castle.

Even the distant, blurry feeling couldn’t provide any reason for the water, though Harry knew he shouldn’t rely on it.

Ginny stepped around Harry and tossed a cautious glance over the walls. A sickly pallor washed over her face, but she neglected to say anything. Harry almost wanted to ask her if she felt the passageway resembled the Chamber of Secrets, but he didn’t fancy dredging up unpleasant memories.

“If she did find out and this is her response, I’d be a bit more concerned.” Harry said with a strained laugh. “I’m more inclined to think—”

“Oi Potter!” Malfoy’s oily voice slid around them.

“Bollocks.” Ron whispered before shining his light toward the new voice.

“Don’t you have prefect duties to be working on, Malfoy?” Hermione asked. “I seem to remember some students in your house seeking out help from other prefects lately.”

Ginny inched closer to the wall and pressed her fingertips to the water.

“Don’t get your knickers in a twist, Granger,” Malfoy said. “I’m just delivering a message. You see, Professor Umbridge was congratulating me on my essay, you remember, the one Potter caused with his—”

“How could we forget, Malfoy?” Harry asked as Ginny turned and gave Hermione a wide eyed look. “Didn’t you need help to the Hospital Wing because of it?” The blurry feeling curled with pleasure when Harry swallowed back the bitter memory. He forced the snitch to the front of his thoughts and doggedly hunted it down. He couldn’t remember a time when the fuzzy feeling stayed for so long and he wished it would leave, but he hadn’t the slightest idea of how to make it disappear.

The lights he’d seen rushing over Snape the last time the feeling wouldn’t leave popped into his thoughts.

He wished he could run to Snape’s office now.

“The water’s running upwards.” Ginny whispered, forcing them all into craning their necks upwards.

A wide pond crept along the ceiling, just above their heads, and roiled as more water funneled into it. Harry peered closer and curiously noted how clear it looked, despite its distinctly moldy smell. He couldn’t remember if they’d learned any new charms for water lately.

Did Malfoy intend to soak them? As far as bullying went, it didn’t feel out of the ordinary for him, but it did seem a bit ridiculous.

They began cautiously trailing back toward the mouth of the passageway, but the pond followed quickly after them, and swallowed the slim gap of dry land they’d managed to create in seconds.

Malfoy spat a foul word before snidely remarking. “Unable to accept responsibility for your own actions, are you?” He asked.

“Specialis Revelio!” Hermione hissed as she rapped her wand over the slick walls.

“That sounds familiar, Malfoy,” Harry shouted as fury ignited in his chest. He’d been faced with his own misbehaviour quite a bit recently, and he quickly found his already limited tolerance for Malfoy dwindling. “Are you thinking of yourself, or maybe your father?”

“That’s your response?” Malfoy asked before pitching his voice insultingly high. “It’s not me, it’s you!” He whinged. “What are you, five?”

A flush burned over Harry’s cheeks as the snitch in his thoughts fell out of the sky.

“Tell us what Umbridge wants.” Ginny said before whirling around. Her fingers clenched over her wand and she raised it in the direction of Malfoy’s voice. “Or better yet, leave and we’ll find out for ourselves!”

“Suit yourselves,” Malfoy said brightly. “But I’ll leave you with a bit of advice. If she offers to help you, accept it!”

“I’ve read about this in Snuffles’s library!” Hermione whispered nervously as she backed away from the wall. She snagged Harry’s wrist and nearly yanked his arm from it’s socket as she began to run. “This isn’t water, it’s from Gringotts, it’s called The Thief’s—”

“Descendo!” Malfoy cried, sending the pond crashing over them.

Harry struggled to understand what was happening, as the water soaked into his hair and down his jumper, despite Hermione’s attempt to escape. His stomach flipped as the walls grew taller and far darker.

He dropped his eyes to his hands and watched in horror as they shrunk before his eyes.

Ron swore as laughter and eager footsteps barrelled toward the four of them. “Hermione!” He said with a strained moan.

“Reducio!” Hermione cried with a wave.

Harry’s clothes shrank to a neat fit before Ron’s hands appeared beneath his armpits and he was tugged upwards with a nauseating jerk.

“Bloody—” Harry managed to choke out as he was jostled higher in Ron’s arms.

“Petrificus Totalus!” Ginny shouted as she aimed her wand toward the sound of Malfoy’s laughter. A misty bright colour jolted from outward and briefly lit the dark hallway before sizzling past its target. “Tarantallegra!”

Malfoy let out a high-pitched shriek before a heavy sounding thud rang out from far nearer than Harry remembered.

“Sorry!” Ron whispered as his hands tightened around Harry and he bolted from the passageway toward the winding hallways. “I didn’t mean to just grab you!”

“Go left!” Hermione breathed as she bolted past them. “Up ahead and to the left!”

Ron tore after her as Ginny rushed out from the dark hallway and followed behind them. “To the hallway something died in?!” Ron asked after her.

“Yes!” Hermione called over her shoulder.

Harry wound a hand around his mum’s necklace as the urge to cry cracked over him. A muddy mess of humiliation, horror, and fear flooded his thoughts, and he squeezed his eyes shut to stem the ugly sob tearing up his throat, but he couldn’t help it. He shoved his face into Ron’s chest to hide any tears and tried to pretend he was Snape.

In the back of his mind, he felt immensely grateful for Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, but he despised his helplessness.

He despised his age and the terror interwoven within it.

He despised Malfoy, and how he’d made Harry feel with a few quick words.

A warm, quiet hum brushed over Harry’s ears, and though he couldn’t fully understand the blurry voice, he somehow knew it was offering to handle whatever came next, in the event Harry truly needed a break.

The putrid smell broke over them, making Harry wish he knew how to cast the bubble head charm Snape placed on him after Neville’s cauldron exploded, if just to get a quick breath in.
The smell seeped into his skin and left Ron hacking in Harry’s ear.

“Why did we come this way?” Ron choked as he dropped one hand from around Harry in order to cough into his sleeve.

“It’s the fastest route to Snape’s office.” Hermione said. “And I didn’t think Malfoy would come this way, if he managed to break out of Ginny’s hex.” She added with a muffled sound.

The warm sound hummed again with a quiet, but persistent tone.

Harry was positive giving in to the voice was a terrible plan, but he dearly wished for a break from everything at the moment.

Ron slammed into Hermione and narrowly avoided cracking Harry’s head against her bulging book bag. The pained sound of Ron’s breathing forced Harry to pull away from the brief, heady moment of contemplation, where he found himself looking up in time to spot Hermione’s rigid form staring dead ahead at Umbridge and her bright pink cardigan at the end of the hallway.

The soft voice hummed a delighted note, and Harry wondered quite suddenly how Umbridge would fare against it, if he let it out for just a moment.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you so much for reading! d84; I hope you enjoyed it, and if you did, please leave a comment below! They're a delight to read! d84;
I got a bit knocked out by the flu and life events, but I'm back again!
Chapter 22 by WiCeBa

The slippery sound of silk brushed over Harry’s ears, alarmingly soft in spite of how vile he’d recently found the sensation.

He had so few words to describe the way it felt as it rolled across his cheek and down his nose, utterly lovely—

Utterly pleased.

If Harry felt bolder, he might’ve rocked his head from side to side and enjoyed that pleasure fully. He almost smiled at the notion of feeling bold, given how well that word went down in the past—and truly, who would want to have that label branded into their skin—but, if he wanted to smile he’d have needed to move his lips; such busy things.

Distantly, Harry recognized that sweet sweep of silk over his cheeks again, now moving alongside a whispering sound.

Oh!

He knew that sound.

It’d been such a comforting sound at Privet Drive, one that meant Dudley and Uncle Vernon wouldn’t bother him. Aunt Petunia could never be distracted like the rest of her family, but even when that distant sound echoed, she could be tempted to let Harry out and give him some dinner, or just let him pick out a few of Dudley’s dented or worn army men.

Yes, Harry knew that sound well; gently hissing TV static. Mop and Smiff must’ve come on, and Dudley must be very entertained.

Harry could think of no other reason for why he might feel so comfortable.

A pleasant voice in the back of his head agreed whole-heartedly, and reminded him, lacking lips yet somehow smiling, of how smart he’d been to patiently wait and listen while Aunt Petunia washed the dishes. If he’d shouted and banged in the door, she’d never have let him out.

No, never.

Silk slipped down Harry’s nose, while a gentle tap, tap, tap, joined it. It splattered here and there with sudsy warm water dripping down his cheeks. It could be tears, given how warm it felt, but Harry didn’t think so. He didn’t feel sad. He felt elated.

He felt euphoric.

He felt utterly, undeniably—

Harry sucked in a wet gasp. The foul smelling corridor swallowed him on all sides, only now a far more putrid scent overtook it. It’d become horribly familiar, so much so that Harry spied tombstones peeking out from behind the slick black stone walls.

“Ron!” Hermione cried. Her panicked breath echoed in his ears. He remembered running with her moments ago, held taut in Ron’s arms before being nearly brained on a book bag.

“I don’t know! I don’t know, Hermione!”

“Harry,” Ginny said, having appeared in front of him, her dark brown eyes flat and fierce. “We need you to think back—”

“Think back when?” Harry asked as his euphoria disappeared like smoke up his throat. He tried to find his snitch, but it’d fled.

“Think back now, please?”

“What does that mean?”

“You said s-something,” Ginny said, clutching Harry close. “You said something and—”

“Ron!”

“I see it!”

“Diffindo!” Hermione cried, flicking her wand in a sharp movement as dim light bloomed and the scent of iron erupted around them.

Harry shivered and leant into Ginny’s hug, despite how tightly she held him in a comforting, yet oddly unyielding grip. He could spy Umbridge just over her shoulder. She laid on the ground, still as stone and reminded Harry almost of Cedric, only her eyes weren’t frozen in perpetual shock, but rather terror.

A gruesome river of blood flooded down her chin and soaked her neck and fluffy pink cardigan, staining the fabric in a way no spell or soap would clean. Her fingers clenched in the air, blackened and filthy from scrabbling over the slick stone as her jaw cracked open wide—too wide—and a massive, inky black snake slithered out from within, tasting the air.

‘Something tasty,’ it hissed in a hungry voice. ‘Something tasty lives beneath these stones!’

A giggle trilled in Harry’s ears.

“Diffindo!” Hermione cried again, though this time Harry watched the snake’s scaly skin rip as its head tore through the air, sending another river of blood to pool down over Unbridge’s cardigan.

Harry tried to swallow, or blink, but he couldn’t take his eyes from where Umbridge struggled to breathe.

“Take a b-breath,” Ginny said, pulling him out of her shoulder to face her once more.

“How—”

“Take a breath and think of what you might’ve said, okay?”

“Can you not remember it?” Harry asked, his heart oddly still despite how crippling terror clogged his throat.

Ginny shook her head. “You spoke Parseltongue, whatever you said, whatever spell you cast, whatever thought you had, try and remember! We need to know if we’re going to learn the counter curse!”

“Counter curse?” Harry heard himself ask. His face felt stiff quite suddenly and unable to stretch as it used to.

Ginny froze and what little color she’d kept in her cheeks fled.

“Why would you need that?”

“Harry?”

Harry blinked and shook off a hazy feeling.

Ginny’s thumbs swept up Harry’s shoulders, comforting and kind, though something in her eyes stayed reminded Harry of Snape, oddly. “Try and think, do you remember the spell?”

“I remember telly static.”

“Telly static,” Ginny repeated.

“Mop and Smiff was on. Aunt Petunia let me—” no, no, Harry didn’t want to talk about the cupboard.

Ginny had such lovely eyes, the longer Harry looked; fierce, yet kind, and wickedly, viciously smart. They watched him now, entirely too wickedly for Harry’s liking.

“Will you tell me about the curse,” Ginny asked, kneeling on the filthy, slick flagstones. “It was…”

“Parseltongue,” Harry said.

“Right.”

“I don’t…” Harry distantly appreciating Ginny’s attempt at comfort, but wished Snape had come. “I don’t know how to speak Parseltongue without a snake being near me.”

“What if I conjure one?”

“You mean like Malfoy did at the dueling club?” The miserable dueling club Ron remembered so fondly, but which Justin detested.

Ginny nodded. “Could you ask about what you might’ve said?”

Harry shrugged. “I could ask for any number of things, but snakes are snakes.” Snakes could be quick and clever, but they couldn’t read. They couldn’t learn spells, not unless they were secretly animagi. “Why are you so curious?”

“I want to learn which curse you cast.”

Harry smiled, despite how his face stiffened again, and flaky barely able to show the expression. “Do you?” He adored when people showed curiosity in him! “I’ll have to write it down one day.”

“Write it down?”

“It’s a blend,” Harry said with knowingness he couldn’t fully grasp. He felt so oddly present, yet distant again. He spoke, but he didn’t. He watched another snake wriggle from Umbridge’s unhinged jaw, but he never felt even a prickle of unease. “A bit of hers and a bit of mine.”

“How much of it is hers?” Ginny asked, tossing a quick glance over her shoulder before whirling back around to face Harry.

“Just the inspiration,” Harry said.

Ginny nodded.

“There was so much room for improvement,” Harry continued. “Why start and stop with a phrase, why not silence her altogether?”

“Why not?” Ginny agreed with a shrug.

“You understand,” Harry said.

“It does strike me as a little odd for you to imitate her.”

“It’s not imitation,” Harry said as that bristling, breathtaking anger broiled in his chest at Ginny misunderstanding, “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can make at greatness. To imitate her, I would need to be mediocre, and I am anything but.”

“Harry—”

“Ginny?” Harry asked, feeling the stiffness crack and break. He felt as if he could breathe at last, though the foul smell perfuming the corridor caught up with him in seconds, and longed to stretch his mouth wide open, if only it didn’t remind him of Umbridge.

Ginny’s hands returned, when they’d disappeared, Harry couldn’t remember.

“Can we find Ruffles please?”

Ginny nodded firmly. “Will you hold my hand? We’ll look together.”

Harry did as asked, but they still had to cross around Umbridge’s seizing form, past the wells left behind by her panicked fingertips. Her painted lips had been split too wide from the snakes, and began to tear at the seams, revealing a fleshy rawness that sent hives down Harry’s back.

“Don’t look,” Ginny said, “don’t—don’t look.”

“Why not? It’s impressive magic.”

Ginny’s hands had just come under his armpits, but now they froze as she backed away. “T-tell me more about how brilliant you are,” she said, stumbling down stone steps and splashing through filmy puddles.

Harry smiled again. It was so sudden, that stiffness. Had he fallen into a panic and lost control?

“It’s a clever bit of magic, isn’t it?” she asked.

“More than clever,” Harry said, feeling what should’ve been a lipless smile stretch across his face, only for his own lips to stand in its way. He watched Ginny’s eyes waver as something unspoken darkened within her face in a way that reminded Harry of Dumbledore, and his ever piercing gaze.

He hated Harry.

He’d hated Harry from the very beginning. He’d berated him for his trophies, for defending himself, and acted as if Harry was anything less than impressive.

“Would you like a display?” Harry asked, following Ginny at a polite distance.

“I’ve already had one.”

“One you described as clever, but now I’d like to show you something brilliant.”

“I know exactly how brilliant you are, Harry.”

Harry shivered and asked, “wasn’t Malfoy following us?”

“He isn’t anymore.”

The flagstones grew less slick and the stench faded, making Harry feel as if Umbridge dropped something similar to a dungbomb or foul-smelling potion to encourage them down her trap. It reminded Harry of how the smallest things could trick the mind and send them spiraling into terror.

“What did you think of the dueling club, Harry?”

“Hmm?” Harry asked.

“The one with Snape and Lockhart.”

“It was fun to watch Lockhart get tossed around and I think Snape enjoyed himself. Lockhart had been saying for weeks how he knew the countercurses for petrification, or the potions that would help.”

“Tell me more about Lockhart, Harry.”

“Why do you keep saying my name?” Harry asked confusedly.

“I like it,” Ginny said, “I feel like I never use it enough.” She gave him a tremulous smile. “Plus, I think it’s funny you have no nicknames. Harry’s short enough already, but we could call you ‘Har’ and we don’t.”

“I s’pose not.”

“Ginny’s way better than Ginevra, imagine if I walked around all day being called Ginevra!”

They rounded a crooked knight in slick, damp armor and came to a stop just before Snape’s office door, where Ginny raised one shaking fist and knocked twice.

The door swung open on well-oiled hinges, its thick ornate knob never so much as twisting.

“Miss—” Snape began to say before launching out of his chair with a face as white as Nearly Headless Nick.

Harry tried to flatten his hair and make himself more presentable, and only then realized blood had been pouring out from his scar.

——

He stared at his stuffed dog. Lovely white lights traced over his skin, as thin as spider’s webs, but warm and utterly pleasant. Distantly, he could hear Snape and Dumbledore working.

Neither Hermione nor Ron would look at him.

They shivered from where they sat on Snape’s couch, unable to look at each other much less Snape, or…

“Ron looked like that for all of June after my first year,” Ginny whispered as she flattened the fur on Harry’s dog’s ears. “So did Fred, George, and Percy.”

Harry glanced at her.

“Bill came home and stayed for three months.”

His heart throbbed, pinched and painful. It’d been such an odd thing, how distant Harry felt from his heart during the episode with Umbridge, particularly once feeling began returning slowly, but ache felt brand new!

“So did Charlie.”

Harry wanted a hug. He wanted something which would ease the fresh pain lancing through his chest.

He wanted Sirius—

He never wanted Sirius to see this!

Ginny’s hand appeared around his own and she clutched it tight. “It’s worse when we can’t remember, but they can.”

Harry scrubbed away the burning trails racing down his cheeks.

“Bill though,” Ginny continued softly, “he said something I still think of a lot.” She held up one of Harry’s dog’s paws, almost as if he was saying ‘hello’, and raised him up for Harry to see more closely. “Arseholes have been doing this since the dawn of time,” she said, tilting his dog’s head as if he’d been the one to speak, “but somehow, despite all their brilliance, they’ve never succeeded.”

Another aching sensation cracked through Harry’s heart, reminding him oddly of those first few moments he often felt upon waking up.

“It’s almost as if they don’t understand how people work.”

Harry lunged for his dog and clutched him close. A fluttery, small warmth bled through his chest and felt wonderfully—blessedly sanely—pleasant.

“If we could take people over, there’d be no one left,” Ginny finished, that hard glimmer in her eyes more present now than before. “More than that, you aren’t Tom.”

Harry blinked.

The plush blankets beneath the two of them felt unusually soft, too soft for the dungeon floor they covered. Harry idly wondered if Snape might’ve cast something to soften everything—if maybe he’d put Harry in the six-year-old equivalent of a padded room.

“You fought him off though,” Ginny said.

“I didn’t.”

How could Harry have fought him off? He’d barely debated letting that broiling anger out and it’d eaten through every defense he’d had. The notion of giving in was all it took!

“He’d still be here if you’d lost.”

Harry opened his mouth to speak, but Ginny beat him to it.

“He always made sure I woke up alone, but I watched you fight him.” She folded her legs and held out her hands, as if asking for Harry’s dog, which he shared willingly, if hesitantly. “It feels like nothing.”

Harry nodded slowly.

“And you feel weightless and happy.”

“Yeah,” Harry said as his dog skipped around their blanket. “It’s…I felt thick-headed.”

“He does that.”

“Intentionally?”

“If you feel thick, he can convince you of your own stupidity,” Ginny said with a bitterness Harry felt in his own belly, “but he’s messed up, and doesn’t realize that that’s what wakes us up.”

His blanket flickered with shapes, snitches Harry couldn’t imagine for himself, and a quidditch pitch far below, with grass waving in the painted breeze.

“Sometimes I wake up feeling them,” Ginny continued, “his excitement.”

“Euphoria,” Harry whispered.

Ginny nodded and let Harry’s dog slip free to run over the quidditch pitch.

“Have you ever felt something like that? I’ve won quidditch games, and been to Egypt. I’ve hexed Malfoy and earned O’s in my course work, but nothing, Harry, nothing, brought me the euphoria Tom felt.”

“Euphoria,” Harry repeated, “and fury.”

“He’s so clever, but he doesn’t realize it’s not normal.”

No.

No, Tom didn’t. Harry knew far too well how Tom thought now, even as a whisper in his ear, or in the way Harry felt his fury and anger.

Long fingers carded through Harry’s hair.

“Miss Weasley, your parents are in the headmaster’s office,” Snape said. Color had slowly returned to his face, but the wells of color beneath his eyes darkened with unspoken emotions. “The headmaster will escort you.”

Ginny stood and passed Harry’s dog over.

“What—”

“Say your goodbyes to your friends,” Snape said softly, “they’ll be visiting Mr Weasley’s family for the weekend.”

“I’m not going?”

“We’ll discuss that once you’ve said your goodbyes. Your friends have done admirably,” Snape said, raising his eyebrows at the admission, “but they will sleep better knowing you’re safe.”

“Am I safe?”

“You will be.”

Harry climbed to his feet and padded off of the soft cover to where Ron and Hermione stared forward.

He didn’t think they’d sleep better knowing Harry was safe, not going by the—

Hermione’s arms wound around Harry’s throat in the tightest hug possible before she said, “oh Harry, I’m so sorry!” Her hug tightened somehow. “It was awful! I wish we could’ve done something! I’ve never felt more useless!” Tears dampened his cheeks as she slid off the couch to kneel. “We didn’t know what to do, we didn’t know!”

Ron dropped an awkward hand over Hermione’s shoulder and gave Harry a surprisingly comforting look. He seemed caught between tugging Harry into a hug, or tugging them both close, but let Hermione cling to Harry instead.

It reminded Harry of those miserable days after the Triwizard Tournament, when Hermione and Ron remained firmly at his sides in the Hospital Wing.

His heart felt brand new when it came to feeling emotions like—

Love.

He felt loved, he realized belatedly.

It felt so soft, but choked him in a way Tom’s anger never could. Anger sliced through him like one of Aunt Petunia’s carving knives, sharp as fear. Euphoria bubbled, weightless and elated.

Love…love sat still.

Hermione backed away and swiped the tears from her face, looking as rotten as Harry had felt only moments ago. Harry understood why. He distantly remembered her helping Umbridge breathe, even if it’d been a terrifyingly vague notion at the time.

Hands appeared underneath Harry’s armpits and he was swung up on Snape’s hip. The little white lights sweeping over his skin accepted the change easily, and moved to race over Snape’s long arms.

“Even if you can’t write to us,” Ron whispered, eyeing Snape with something he more often watched Mrs Weasley with, “do.”

“Write?” Harry asked. “Are we going somewhere?”

Snape nodded.

Dumbledore shepherded Ron, Hermione, and Ginny out the door, and gave him one piercing last look before disappearing down the corridor.

“Not…not Privet Drive,” Harry said, feeling the breathtaking weight of a heavy heart for the first time in what felt like ages. He scrunched his eyes shut, miserable for one heart pounding moment before the pendant on his mum’s necklace hummed with warmth.

“No, Harry.”

Harry blinked as Snape tossed a handful of floo powder into his fireplace.

His dog leapt from the cover and shrank as he whirled into Snape’s pocket, alongside Harry’s trunk, which landed on the floor with a thunk before shivering and shrinking.

“Grimmauld Place?”

“Germany.”

To be continued...
End Notes:
Thank you for your patience with me!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3657