Owl Post Detour by MellarkandArt
Summary: Hedwig would do anything to help her master, even if her master wouldn’t be pleased with the lengths she’d go to to do so. A response to the "Wrong Mail" challenge set by Hopeless Wanderer.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Hedwig, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Fluff
Media Type: None
Tags: Snape-meets-Dursleys, Spying on Harry! Snape
Takes Place: 4th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Profanity
Prompts: Wrong Mail
Challenges: Wrong Mail
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2320 Read: 2946 Published: 09 May 2021 Updated: 09 May 2021

1. Owl Post Detour by MellarkandArt

Owl Post Detour by MellarkandArt
In a galaxy called The Milky Way there was a solar system, in which there was a planet called Earth, and on the planet called Earth there was a continent called Europe, and on the continent called Europe there was a country called England, and in the country called England there was a town called Cokesworth, and in the town called Cokeworth there was a street called Spinner’s End, and on the street called Spinner’s End, there was the childhood home of one Professor Severus Snape.

Professor Severus Snape wasn’t sure why he hadn’t just sold the house ages ago as it was not a residence that he fancied calling home, but each summer after the Hogwarts term ended he would find himself returning to the house in spite of his grim feelings surrounding it.

One humid summer day in 1994 he was tending to his garden behind the house on Spinner’s End when an owl flew down from the sky and landed beside him. He did not often receive letters, especially from snowy white owls, so he was quite curious as to who had written to him. He untied the parchment from the owl’s leg, unrolled it, and began to read.

Dear Ron,
I’m in Dursley hell! I miss you and Hermione already.

It actually hasn’t been too horrible so far, I expected my school things to be locked away in the cupboard under the stairs as soon as I walked through the door like last year, but I was able to get my things into Dudley’s second bedroom before that could happen. Looks like I might actually be able to work on my summer assignments this year, Snape will be so disappointed not to have something to rag on me about! But I suppose the greasy git will just come up with something, he always does.

Hopefully I’ll be out of here in a few weeks and can come to The Burrow.

Until then,
- Harry


Severus scowled down at the parchment containing the messy handwriting of his least favorite student. As if he cared to see the famous Harry Potter’s correspondence with the Weasley whelp! Severus really shouldn’t have been surprised that the little dunderhead had the nerve to send his owl to bring this to him as some sort of prank, but one would think that the boy would have enough brains not to send one of his professors a letter describing them as a greasy git! He supposed that he shouldn’t have expected any less from the spawn of a Potter. If the boy was expecting an angry response back from Severus to have a laugh at with his friends, he would be greatly disappointed. He glared at the bird.

“Take this to who it is addressed to, and do not bring me any more letters from Harry bloody Potter!” He rolled the parchment back up and tied it to the owl’s leg. “Go on!”

Hedwig did not hesitate to spread her wings and start off on her journey to The Burrow.

“The greasy git will come up with something indeed,” Severus muttered to himself as he stormed into the house.

***

A few days later, Severus was once again tending to his garden when the snowy owl returned with another letter.

He sneered at the bird and tried to shoo it away. “I have no interest in participating in this silly little game of Potter’s, be on your way!”

But the bird refused to leave without Severus taking the letter from its leg. The letter started the same way as it did last time;

Dear Ron,
Have you started on your potions assignment yet? It’s on Polyjuice Potion! I imagine it was meant to be very difficult as we’re not meant to learn about it until sixth year and the information on it is in the restricted section at school, but I don’t think that we should have any issues describing the brewing process and effects of it! I think I’ll open my essay with “Do not consume unless absolutely necessary because it tastes like shit, and do steer clear of using cat hair to avoid hairy transformations. Hagrid hair may have the same effects, use with caution.” I think that Snape would really appreciate my phraseology, don’t you?

Dudley's diet isn't going too well, Aunt Petunia found him smuggling doughnuts into his room yesterday. She and Uncle Vernon told him they'd have to cut his pocket money if he keeps doing it, so he got really angry and chucked his PlayStation (that's a sort of computer thing you can play games on) out of the window! Bit stupid really, now he hasn't even got Mega-Mutilation Part Three to take his mind off things. I’d almost feel sorry for him, but lack of carbohydrates has made him behave like more of a git than usual, and my sympathy kind of faded away when he punched me in the nose a couple of days ago.

I better send Hedwig off with this now, Uncle Vernon just got home from work and I can already hear him raging downstairs. He’s probably pissed off about something I did. Hope your summer is going well and I can’t wait to visit!!

Yours sincerely,
- Harry


Severus had indeed assigned the essays on Polyjuice Potion as summer homework for his soon-to-be fourth year students knowing that it was far beyond their grade level. The few capable of putting any real effort into their studies would be able to find the information on it easily enough. He expected Granger to have an annoyingly flawless essay, but how was it that the Potter hellion knew so much about it? Severus wondered what Potter might have done to make his uncle angry that was worse than throwing an expensive gaming console out the window. He tied the letter back onto the owl’s leg and sent it on its way.

***

The bird appeared at Spinner’s End again.

At this point, Severus was starting to doubt that Potter was pulling an extremely boresome prank and perhaps this owl (Hedwig?) was just stupid.

“This letter is not meant for me, you imbecile,” he said but still, he reached to take it. One could argue that it was his duty as a professor to check over a troublesome student’s mail to make sure that they weren’t planning on becoming the next dark lord or something. But if he were honest with himself, Severus knew by now that he was just being nosy.

Dear Ron,
Have you heard from Hermione lately? I haven’t received a letter from her in nearly a week, Hedwig usually sticks around there for her response but she returned rather quickly from her last trip to Hermione’s house with no letter. Hedwig seems to be putting priority on delivering my letters to you this year, even though it seems like it’s taking longer for them to get to you than usual. I swear I’m writing a response to you as soon as your letters arrive (well, unless the Dursleys are being a pain which delays it just a bit) but she’s been acting very strange this summer. I’d suggest that we use Pig instead, but Hedwig seems to find great offense in that. When Pig came ‘round with my birthday present from you I tried to send a letter back with him but Hedwig threw an absolute fit over it. I was afraid that she might actually hurt Pig the way she was going. She’s always been a bit of a fussy owl as you know, but she was acting downright violent that day.

Oh well, at least I can write to you at all this summer. Remember when The Dursleys put bars on my window? Thank goodness they haven’t replaced them. They've even only locked me in a couple of times these past few weeks and that was only when they were all going out, I really don’t know what has gotten into them!

See you soon,
- Harry


Bars on the windows? What kind of muggle ritual was that? And what was this about locking Potter in while his guardians went out without him?

***

Dear Ron,
I was really looking forward to staying with your family at The Burrow for the rest of the summer, but Professor Dumbledore wrote me today and informed me that it is in my best interests to stay here, as this is where I am safest. Sureee…

I know you’re probably upset, I was too for a while but there’s really nothing we can do about it. It’s only a few more weeks until school starts, I’m sure I’ll be fine here and we’ll see each other again at Hogwarts before you know it.

Miss you,
- Harry


***

It was several days before another letter arrived.

Dear Ron,
Sorry it has been a while since my last letter, things here have kind of gone downhill. Only two more weeks until school starts, I’ve told Hedwig to go on ahead to the owlery after she delivers this to you, so this will be my last letter before we’re back at Hogwarts. See you then.

- Harry


Severus frowned as he rolled the letter back up and tied it onto Hedwig’s leg. This latest letter was a bit disconcerting, it felt rather distant compared to the ones sent before it. It was hardly even a paragraph. Potter’s written correspondence usually had a flare of personality about it, this one seemed more dreary than his potions essays.

All the letters before this one had reeked of loneliness and a desire to leave the Dursleys, the people whom he had been living with since infancy. Severus wanted to think that Potter was just being an unappreciative brat, but he couldn’t help but feel that there was something more to it.

***

It was a couple of days before Severus decided to pay a visit to #4 Privet Drive.

He made a move to knock on the front door but before he could he noticed Potter at the side of the house tending to the rose bushes and strode over to him.

“Potter,” he said blandly in an effort to get his attention without scaring the bejeezus out of him. His efforts were in vain as the boy started violently and dropped the sheers he was holding on his foot.

Shit,” he exclaimed loudly as the sharp end made impact with his foot. He bit the inside of his cheek hard and glanced up to see his potions professor. “P-professor Snape!” the boy exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

Severus took in the purple looking bruise on the boy’s cheek and made his decision quicker than he had expected to. “I have come to collect you from here, go retrieve your things.”

“Wha-uh, why, sir?”

“The headmaster and I have come to a disagreement.”

“Oh, God, what did I do? You’re not going to kill me and throw me in a ditch somewhere, are you?”

Severus brought a hand up to his face and rubbed his eyes warily. The boy flinched. “No. I am not going to ‘kill you and throw you in a ditch somewhere.’ For once, Potter, you have not done anything wrong. Just go and get your things.”

Potter eyed him suspiciously for a moment longer before running into the house. Severus waited only a few minutes before the boy came out with his trunk and owl cage. “Are you certain that you have gotten everything of importance? You will not be returning for a while.” Hopefully never. Potter nodded without hesitation as his thin arms dragged the heavy trunk onto the sidewalk. Severus wondered how he had never noticed before just how small the child was for his age.

“Walk with me,” Severus said as he cast a feather-light charm on the trunk and began to stride in the direction of Arabella Figg’s house. It was a few moments before Potter spoke.

“What did you and the headmaster have a disagreement about?”

“I believe that it would be inappropriate for me to discuss the details of our disagreement with you before it even transpires vocally. But he and I will be having a discussion about it soon, I assure you. Have you heard of apparition?”

“Uh-no sir, I’m sorry but I haven’t. What is it?”

“It is a form of transportation used by witches and wizards. The simplest way to explain it to you would be to compare it to the fictional muggle idea of teleporting. I should warn you that it is not a very pleasant experience, especially during your first trip.”

“Will we be apparating, sir?” Potter asked hesitantly.

“Yes, I will endeavor to make the trip easier for you. When we reach the apparition point you will need to hold onto my arm tightly to expel a portion of the shock onto me. Do not fret, the uncomfortable sensation will be brief.”

Potter was quiet for a moment before he spoke again. “Where will we be apparating to?”

“Am I correct in assuming that you would prefer to spend what is left of your summer break with the Weasley family?”

“You-you’re going to take me to The Burrow? Sir?”

“I believe that is what I have implied,” Severus stated. They still had a short distance to go before they reached Mrs. Figg’s house and Potter was looking up at him now with an awestruck expression. He started to feel uncomfortable under the scrutiny and made a move to change the subject.

“Tell me, Potter, what do you know about brewing Polyjuice Potion?”
The End.
End Notes:
Thank you for reading! A few lines in Harry's second letter to Ron were taken from his letter to Sirius in Goblet of Fire (I rearranged it slightly)


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3676