Illicit Affairs by MellarkandArt
Summary: Neglect can be one of the most painful forms of abuse, being ignored by your guardians when all you want is love hurts. No one seems to care if Harry lives or dies so he spends a lot of time wandering around Little Whinging on his own. His friendly neighbor seems to think that this is dangerous. If only someone paid enough attention to Harry to tell him that his neighbor is a little too friendly...
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Petunia, Pomfrey, Vernon
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape
Genres: Angst, Drama, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Hufflepuff!Harry
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Physical Abuse, Profanity, Rape, Sexual Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: that's the thing about illicit affairs
Chapters: 12 Completed: Yes Word count: 35136 Read: 40293 Published: 20 Jul 2021 Updated: 21 Nov 2021
Severus Goes in for the Kill by MellarkandArt
Author's Notes:
Warning for discussion of child sexual abuse and vulgar language, quite a few F-bombs dropped in this one. I didn't want to go overboard with it because that’s fairly cheap writing in my opinion, but I considered myself in this situation irl and yeah I’d think I’d swear just a little bit.
Severus was not a good person.

Good people did not kill people, and murder was something he’d committed more times than he’d like to admit. His track record was not a clean one. Good people did not kill people.

But Severus was not a good person, and some people deserved to die.

Some people deserved to die slow and painful deaths, begging for mercy that would never be given, begging for an end, an end that was endless, and that was just a fact of life.

He contemplated how he would do it, as he listened to the soft sniffles of a child crying himself to sleep in the hospital bed. Would he do it the old-fashioned way, the muggle way, the Avada Kedavra way? Would he brew a potion for the occasion? There was a very special one created just with these situations in mind. There were so many options to choose from. It needed to be painful if nothing else.

And then the Dursleys, what of them? For as far as Severus was concerned, this was their fault above anyone else’s. Maybe Dumbledore should have noticed how things were at home for Harry, and this Gary man certainly should have had his balls cut off, but Petunia, in particular, must have known what was going on and had made no efforts to stop it.

He knew her, he knew that she couldn’t mind her own business to save her life. There was no possible way that something like this could have occurred under her nose. She knew.

That deserved punishment.

Severus gazed at the near still form of the sleeping child as the sounds of his sniffles died down, his only movements being the steady rise and fall of his chest. He conjured a wet flannel and gently wiped the dried tear tracks off his cheeks.

Harry would be avenged. Severus would make certain of it.

***

The neighborhood appeared to be even more perfect than it had the last two or three times Severus had apparated there. The lawns were perfectly manicured, the bushes perfectly plucked and trimmed. The sun was shining and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky.

It was repulsive.

The Dursley home seemed to be a little less prestigious than it had a month ago, the yard not quite up to the standards of perfection that Little Whinging seemed used to. It didn’t look unkempt, exactly, but it was clear that something had changed in the lawn care department. Severus was pretty sure that he knew what that something was.

“Are you home alone?” Severus asked the whale of a boy who had answered the door. He had orange snack dust covering his chin and sticky fingers. Was this seriously Petunia’s spawn?

The boy rolled his eyes. “No, dummy, my parents don’t leave me home alone. I’m just a kid.”

Yes, it most certainly was.

“You’re the same age as your cousin, are you not? I hear he gets left home alone quite often.”

The boy’s eyes widened and he turned around before slamming the door in Severus’ face. The screech of “Muuuuum! Someone is here about the freak!” could be heard clearly. Severus tightened his jaw and waited for the door to open once more. When it was, he was greeted by the sight of a large and red-faced man who seemed to be lacking a neck.

“Mr. Dursley, I presume?” Severus inquired. “I’m here on account of your nephew.”

“I know what you are,” Dursley growled, steam nearly coming out of his ears like some sort of Muggle cartoon character. “Your kind isn’t welcome here.”

“Ah, how very strange then, that you should house a member of my kind for ten years, then,” Severus mused, making his voice a bit louder towards the end. “I imagine your neighbors would find that fairly baffling.”

“Just let him in, Vernon,” he heard an all too familiar voice shriek. Severus was already massaging his temples in preparation for the incoming migraine. He managed to sidestep the bulky man (quite a feat) and enter the house.

“Of all people- they sent you?” Petunia cried dramatically as a greeting. Severus rolled his eyes.

“I’m here of my own volition, Tuney dear. Though I do bring some rather troublesome news concerning your nephew.”

“Whatever the boy has done now, we bear no responsibility!” Dursley interjects. “You took him so he’s your problem now.”

Severus clicked his tongue. “Oh my, so quick to jump to conclusions… I assure you, the boy has done nothing wrong as of yet. Come now, I believe we should sit for this conversation,” he said, feeling something akin to delight as he invited himself into the sitting room and wondered if this was similar to what Albus felt when he performed such forward actions. The Dursleys followed him after a moment, husband and wife sitting on the couch opposite Severus while the child remained standing in the doorway.

“I suppose I should start by stating my surprise that you’ve not once shown an ounce of concern for your nephew since he left. Do you normally allow him to go off with strangers?”

“We didn’t allow him to go anywhere,” Petunia snapped. “You people took him without even informing us!”

Severus hummed distractedly. “Perhaps you shouldn’t leave a child alone if you don’t want him to be abducted.”

“Are you implying that it’s our fault?” Petunia glared.

“Yes, I believe that is exactly what I am implying,” Severus spit right back.

“Now you listen here, you rodeo clown,” Dursley said. “We never asked for that boy. We never wanted him. It’s only out of the kindness of our hearts that we dealt with him for as long as we did. We fed him, clothed him, raised him, with not even so much as a penny to compensate us for the trouble! We dealt with the garbage that you didn’t want to deal with yourselves so if anything, you should be thanking us!”

“Oh yes, I really should offer my gratitude. I am certain that your dearly departed sister would be so appreciative if she were here. It’s clear to me how much you must care about him. We could almost overlook the fact that you allowed him to be molested,” Severus sneered disdainfully.

Silence. Dursley simply gaped while Petunia did her best to look anywhere but at Severus. “Who?” she asked after a while in a near whisper.

“Gary Weatherman, your neighbor,” Severus snarled.

She nodded, lowering her head into her hands. He almost felt sorry for her. Almost. “How difficult would it have been to simply put in the least amount of effort, just enough to ensure that the boy wasn’t being targeted by a predator?” he questioned.

“We didn’t know!” Petunia practically whined. “He’s old enough to look after himself, we couldn’t have…”

“But Mum,” the boy whom Severus had nearly forgotten was there spoke up, “you… you told me that Mr. Weatherman is weird and dangerous. You told me to stay away from him.”

Severus’ stare was cold enough to freeze hell over. Petunia must have felt it as she shivered, wrapping her arms around herself in some misplaced form of comfort. It was a pathetic sight to witness.

“See, I’m not the least bit surprised. I knew that you knew. Because I know you, Petunia Evans. I know that you could have prevented it if you had wanted to. But alas, here we are.”

Petunia was shaking, tears streaming down her face as she sat hunched over. Severus couldn’t have felt sorry for her even if he’d tried. “Now I’m just left wondering why. Why, Petunia?” he asked, voice almost breaking despite his best efforts. “No matter how much you despise his mother, despise him, he is a child. A child. How could you have allowed this to happen to him? How can you even sleep at night?”

“Stop this,” Dursley demanded. “You have no right-”

“I have every right,” Severus said, standing up and taking out his wand, casting a privacy spell over the adults’ conversation. “Do you want to know what that little boy, that bruised little boy who had a sexually transmitted infection and was torn up inside, who had to be stitched back together, told me when I asked him if someone he trusted had violated him in the worst possible way? Do you?”

Dursley was fuming and Petunia was shaking her head frantically, but Severus didn’t care. He lifted the privacy spell. “He told me that no one, no one, has ever loved him. That was all he wanted.” He kept his wand raised.

“How difficult could it have been? To at least pretend? This is your fault. You could have so easily prevented it, but you chose not to. A child has been destroyed because of you.”

“Stop!” Petunia wailed, full-on sobbing now. “Please, just stop.”

Severus breathed heavily through his nose. He wanted to make her, make both of them, pay. Merlin, he wanted it. He could practically taste the words of the killing curse on his tongue. But this was not what Harry needed from him, he knew. He turned away from them and towards the exit, Harry’s cousin scrambling backward as he faced him. He paused in the doorway.

“That cupboard,” Severus said, pointing towards it, “I saw that child getting his things out of that cupboard, the cupboard where he slept for ten years.” He locked eyes with Petunia one final time. “There is no room for redemption. I can scarcely imagine how many pieces your sister’s heart must be broken into by now. She would have never treated your child like this. You’ll get what’s coming to you, both of you.” And with that, Severus Snape left the dreadful place that was #4 Privet Drive, not once looking back.

Severus stormed down to the corner but paused before apparating back to Hogwarts, looking up at the street sign as he thought back on the letter he had taken to the owlery for Harry all those weeks ago. Magnolia Crescent was just straight ahead.

***

Gary Weatherman couldn’t have been much younger than Severus himself, though he was quite a handsome young man. He sported a flattering shade of blond hair, held kindly blue eyes and a dazzling smile.

The sight sickened Severus.

“Can I help you, sir?” Weatherman asked, eyebrows furrowed.

“Yes, you can, actually,” Severus said, brushing invisible lint off his Muggle button-up shirt. “I know we’ve never met, but I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Oh, have you?” Weatherman chuckled nervously. “All good, I hope.”

Severus shrugged. “Depends on your opinion, I suppose. Actually, I hear that you like little boys.”

Weatherman’s eyes widened in surprise and he made to close the door, but Severus shot his foot out to prevent it from happening. “Surely you didn’t think you could keep this one under wraps?”

“I- I don’t know what you’re talking about-”

“Shut up,” Severus snarled, shoving himself towards Weatherman, pushing his way into the house and locking the door behind him. “Don’t even bother denying what we both know. He was nine. Nine.”

“Nearly ten,” Weatherman interjected weakly and Severus saw red.

“How can you possibly even think that makes it the least bit better? He was a child. He is a child. What the fuck is wrong with you?”

Weatherman held his hands up in the air. “He never told me no, man. Not once. Just because he’s a kid doesn’t mean that he-”

“Don’t finish that sentence. I don’t even want to know how sick of a creature you are. Sit down,” Severus said, pushing him down on the couch. He pulled out his wand and cast a sticking charm.

“Hey, what the-” Severus punched the sad excuse for a human being in the face before placing a Silencio on him. “I do believe that I told you to shut up.”

Severus wandered around the house, not sure what he was looking for but still looking regardless. The first room he came across was a bedroom, the sight of which made him feel sick to his stomach. He quickly moved past it and up the stairs, opening doors to closets and a bathroom before finding one that opened into a large space, some sort of photo studio by the looks of it.

There were props and a couch, lights, and a large camera placed in the near center of the room. Severus really didn’t want to think about the implications of this being here in a pedophile’s house, but it left very little to the imagination. He turned to find another door which led to a darkroom with red lighting and a somewhat foul odor.

He pushed the door open further to reveal tables containing trays of liquid. He went over to one and, using the large prongs sitting beside the tray, lifted a small sheet of paper out of the water before immediately dropping it upon seeing what it contained. He then looked up to see photographs hanging by close pins on strings all throughout the room and had to close his eyes, though the images were surely permanently burned into his mind now.

Severus didn’t know what he had been expecting, something along the lines of evidence, maybe, but this was far more than he could have ever imagined.

He exited the room and hurried back down the stairs to face the most perverted person he had ever met in the flesh.

“How many?” Severus demanded, lifting the silencing spell. “I know that it wasn’t only Harry, so don’t bother lying. How many other children have you placed your filthy hands on?”

Weatherman smirked, he actually smirked. “Did you like the pictures? I’ve got quite the collection, I know. You couldn’t imagine how many children would do anything for just the smallest bit of attention. Harry was my favorite though, I must say. Not many other children are quite so… compliant. He was perfect, really. Beautiful. I knew from the get-go that he was going places, what, with a pretty little arse like that-”

Severus punched him again, hard. What the actual fuck? He’d known that sick bastards like this existed, he’d known that Weatherman himself existed for the past day or so, but this was like something out of a nightmare. How dare he talk about literal children as though they were nothing more than sex toys? How dare he talk about Harry like that?

“You deserve to rot in hell,” Severus spat as he hit the man repeatedly and contemplated his next move. He could simply kill him now, that was what he had come here to do after all, and it would be so very easy. But would that really be justice? Could he possibly make it painful enough to account for the ruined lives of the unknown number of children this sick fucker had violated?

“I’m going to give you a choice,” Severus said as Weatherman began to cough up blood. “You’re either going to turn yourself in to the police or I’m going to kill you, it’s up to you.”

Weatherman was actually crying now as if he deserved the relieving release of tears. “No, no, just kill me, please. I can’t go to prison again.”

Again? Severus wondered what he had done to land himself there the first time and if it was anything having to do with being a sex offender, why he was out now. He didn’t really care at this point, anyway, as the matter of what Severus was to do was now settled.

“Good job,” Severus praised sardonically, patting his cheek. “Now you’re definitely going back to prison. Death would be a mercy and you will come to learn that, if you haven’t realized already, I am not a very merciful kind of person.”

“No, no! You tricked me!” the man whined, smearing blood and tears all over his face as he ran his hands over it. “That’s not fair!”

“You want to talk about what’s fair, you fucking piece of shite? How many children have you tricked into posing for pictures for your sick little obsession? How many have you laid your hands on without them even knowing what’s going on?” Severus waved his wand and used his signature spell, slicing expertly into Weatherman’s skin and causing him to cry out in pain. Blood was spilling everywhere and the sight made Severus feel maybe a little bit too pleased with himself.

Severus picked up a pen and notepad, thrusting the items at the pedo. “I want names, write them down, every single one of them. Now.” Weatherman hurried to comply, hand shaking as it scribbled down name after name. Severus wanted to throw up. “Don’t forget to write how you molested those children and sign it,” he snapped, snatching it out of his hands once the task was completed.

“Good. This is your confession,” Severus said, throwing it out of reach before conjuring ropes to tie around Weatherman. “Though I’m sure that the darkroom is evidence enough, it might help with victim compensation. Where’s your phone?”

Weatherman jerked his head in the general direction and Severus picked it up, dialing the number for the local police station that was written down beside the landline. “I’d like to report an anonymous tip,” he said once someone had picked up on the other end of the line. “Gary Weatherman of #21 Magnolia Crescent seems to be involved in some sort of child pornography scheme, there are hundreds of photos in the house and I believe that he has raped and molested multiple children in the midst of this. Someone needs to be sent to the scene right away.”

He hung up the phone before receiving a response and shrugged nonchalantly at Weatherman who was quickly beginning to bleed out. “Better hope they come soon, otherwise you might get your death wish after all,” he said, landing a few swift kicks to the area of man’s most precious cargo before leaning in close to hiss in his ear. “And if you ever come near Harry Potter again, you’ll be begging for more than the sweet relief of death from me.”

He again stood tall and straightened his shoulders. “Enjoy life behind bars, Mr. Weatherman. I hear that they really like child molesters in prison.”

And with that, he exited the premises and apparated away from Little Whinging before the bobbies could come and accuse him of assault or some such nonsense.

***

Severus hummed softly as he held his hands under the sink tap, watching as pink water trailed down to the drain. He grabbed a hand towel before turning to see Albus sitting at his kitchen table.

“It’s been said to be considered rude to enter one’s home without knocking, Albus,” Severus said as he wiped his hands dry with the towel. “And I do know how very important manners are to you.”

Albus looked at him with a blank expression, elbows on the table and right hand stroking his beard while the left held a rolled-up newspaper. “It’s also considered rude to play hooky as a professor, Severus. Where were you today?”

Taking a seat at the table across from the headmaster, Severus ensured that his poker face was in place. Clearly, Albus knew exactly how he had spent his afternoon, Severus had never planned on hiding it, but he could play along with the game. “Family emergency, I apologize for not informing you before I left, Headmaster. There was an aunt I simply had to pay a visit to.”

Albus nodded, tossing the paper onto the table. “A great deal has occurred in your absence, Severus. I’d hate for you to be out of touch.”

Severus picked up the paper, eyes scanning over the article and pictures. Weatherman looked a mess, eyes swollen shut and the bloodstains were clearly visible even in black and white. “The news seems to travel rather fast these days,” he commented absently.

“Yes, well, it is quite late, this is tomorrow’s paper. The front page isn’t the only article I found of interest, however.”

Severus raised his eyebrows, opening the paper and skimming through the stories until he found the one Albus was speaking of. He couldn’t quite suppress the smirk that appeared on his face.

“Local Little Whinging family suspected of child neglect,” Severus read the headline out loud. “In the midst of the Weatherman case, police were sent to the homes of suspected victims that were listed in a handwritten confession. Vernon and Petunia Dursley of Little Whinging are the legal guardians of their nephew, aged 11, who is one of these suspected victims. The child is said to currently be away at boarding school but the Dursleys were very evasive upon questioning. Further investigation led to the discovery of a cupboard where police found evidence of long-term living arrangements for the child. The Dursleys are currently being held for further questioning. My my my, what a day for news,” he finished, sighing dramatically.

“Poppy informed me about Harry this morning,” Albus said, voice growing serious.

“What, exactly, did she inform you of?” Severus asked, irritation and deep-rooted pain quickly flooding back into his consciousness as though they had never left. “The part where he was clearly neglected for the majority of his life, or my personal favorite, the one where he was molested?”

Albus sighed, looking away from him at last. “I won’t bother with the empty words that never make anything better. I’ve always believed that everyone is deserving of forgiveness, second chances, and redemptions. I thought I’d seen the worst that the world had to offer by now, but alas,” he stood up, sighing again.

“I can hardly state that I condone your actions, Severus,” Albus continued, placing his hand atop his shoulder. “I am, after all, a kindly old wizard. But…”

“But?” Severus questioned knowingly.

“I suppose if I told you that I am proud of you, there are many reasons for that pride,” he said, patting Severus’ shoulder. “You did well, Severus. I only wish it were not necessary.”

“I as well,” Severus muttered, glaring down at the stone floor. “There are countless things that I wish that I could go back in time and change, but this one in particular…”

“We can only look to the future, my boy. We can rarely change the past for the better, but we can do our best going forward. That’s all anyone could ask or expect.”

Severus nodded, though his eyes remained downcast. It sounded like nothing more than another pointless and placating speech from the old man, but he could see some truth in the statement.

“As for your extracurricular activities,” Albus murmured, running a finger over his lips in a locking motion. “My lips are sealed.” He gave Severus one final pat on the shoulder before turning to leave.

He paused at the door. “Harry will be alright, Severus. He has you, after all.”

Severus made to protest, but Albus was gone before he could even open his mouth. He leaned back in his chair, sighing heavily as his eyes landed on the paper once more. The barest hint of a smile tugged at his lips. Severus had never been much for sentimentality, but perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to save this one, just once. Maybe he’d even consider framing it.
The End.
End Notes:
I hope no one is disappointed with how I decided to go about Gary's punishment, I considered many ways for Severus to kill him but in the end, I just felt that justice would be best served if he lived. I've personally always felt that death is a bit too swift and merciful for such terrible crimes. Gary will presumably spend the rest of his life in prison, depending on how his fellow inmates feel about the whole thing, I suppose.

It’s very rare that my working title remains my posting title, my working title for this story after all was and remains to be “Gary”... I liked the one for this chapter a lot though, even if it didn’t really pan out. I guess he still went in for the kill ;)

Sorry that this update took a bit, had a lot going on irl and probably will be very busy again soon, but there aren't many chapters left for this fic. I moved the number of chapters up from 10 to 12 though I'm still not totally sure how many I'll end up with, I have a general outline and knowledge of how this story will end with an epilogue, so we shall see!

Also, I've kind of been too busy to respond to comments lately, but I still really love reading them and I liked that a lot of you appreciated that little bit I did in the last chapter with the self author bashing, I had a lot of fun with that XD. It took me a ridiculously long amount of time to realize the fact that Gary and Harry even rhyme with each other and how terribly basic that is, and I decided on his last name being Weatherman in like two seconds. I once considered going to college to become a meteorologist so there you go. Fun fact, Gary was actually the original name of the stepfather in my other WIP, Scattered Fragments of Illusion, but once I started on this story I decided that I wasn't ever going to write that story. Then I did... I almost kept the name for both stories but that seemed too easy, so now we have Emerson. I finally updated that story earlier this week, btw, and if you like the MCU/Irondad, I posted a one-shot for that a few days ago on Ao3. Anyway enough with the self-promotion, thanks for reading!!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3695