My Nuver Daddy by VerityGrahams
Summary: Harry only spends every other weekend with his dad, James, the rest of the time with his other daddy, Severus Snape.
Categories: Parental Snape > Stepfather Snape Main Characters: James, Lily
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Snape is Mean
Genres: Family, General
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption, Alternate Universe, Child fic
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11)
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1032 Read: 2311 Published: 21 Jul 2021 Updated: 21 Jul 2021
My Nuver Daddy by VerityGrahams
Author's Notes:
Written for The Houses Competition

House: Gryffindor

Position: Potions

Category: Drabble

Prompt: [Action] Gardening

THC Challenge #1

Write about a canon character in a completely different way while keeping them in character.

Wordcount: 992
Harry walked up the street, hand in hand, with his dad. They looked almost exactly alike, with unruly black hair, wire-framed glasses, and a mischievous smile. The only noticeable difference was his eyes; James had hazel eyes, but Harry’s were vivid green.

They walked through the gate and around to the back garden. The garden was shielded from the neighbours’ eyes, and rightly so because it was very interesting. Every plant looked as though it had sprouted out of a fairytale. There were shrubs of Alihosty, which were known to create hysteria in those who ate the brightly coloured leaves. More noticeably strange were the Bouncing Bulbs that hopped around the garden.

'I want to do some gardening with Daddy today,' Harry said.

'Sorry, kid. Daddy has to drop you off at Mummy’s and go home now. We can do some gardening next weekend. You’ll be staying all weekend!' James tried to look enthusiastic, but it was clear to see that leaving Harry behind was hard.

'Not you, silly!' Harry giggled. 'I mean my nuver daddy; Daddy Sev!'

Sat in the garden was the very person they were talking about: Severus Snape, the man who’d married James’ ex-wife, Lily Evans. He was absorbed in his book; his long legs stretched out before him. Despite the hot sun, he wore all black with his dark, greasy hair pulled out of his face.

'Daddy!' Harry ran towards Severus, both arms stretched wide, waiting for his other daddy to catch him in an enormous hug.

'If it isn’t my little monster,' he said in his signature tone: deep, warm, and monotone. 'Did you have a lovely weekend at James’?' He glanced away from the child, a smirk in place as he refused to use the title ‘dad’.

'Yeah, but I wanted to come home and look after our garden.' Harry snuggled in. Severus wrapped his arms tightly around him, never losing eye contact with James.

'Well, you’ll need to get your tools and a scruffy top for that, Pumpkin Bum.'

'He calls you ‘Dad’, now?' James asked.

'I do a lot of ‘Dad’ things.' Severus shrugged. 'Someone has to.'

James ground his teeth. 'You know that if I could have Harry with me every day, I would!'

'Should have thought of that before you cheated.' Severus seemed to be enjoying watching his old nemesis squirm.

'I can’t help being gay, Severus!'

'You can help your wife finding you in bed with your best friend, though,' Severus said with a smirk.

Their conversation was interrupted by little Harry running into the garden wearing a t-shirt covered in stains and carrying a little basket with gardening tools.

'I’m ready! Don’t start without me.'

Severus turned his back to James Potter as he focused on the excited five-year-old. 'What do we do first when gardening?' he asked.

'We gosta water duh pants.' Harry lifted an empty watering can proudly.

Severus flicked his wand, filling the watering can. 'Off you go then. I’m just going to say goodbye to James.' He ruffled the little boy’s hair and watched as he trotted off, sprinkling water as he went.

'You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?' James asked, scowling.

'I am. Gardening is a favourite activity for Harry and I.' He picked up Harry’s basket and turned his back. 'You know the way out.'

James didn’t leave, though. Bitterness and jealousy washed over him as he watched Snape help Harry with the watering can. And once they had finished that, Snape showed Harry how to pluck the deadheads off the flowering plants.

'I’ve got a new plant for us today,' Severus said.

James noted that while Snape was an awful human being, he seemed genuine with Harry. He couldn’t decide if that made things better or worse.

Snape was directing Harry into digging a hole for the new plant. Harry smiled; his chubby, dirt-smeared cheeks were bright red, and his intense concentration as he excavated another hole was endearing. His dark hair clung to his face, and James watched as Snape tenderly brushed it aside.

Jealousy raged.

He was so focused on the father-son gardening session that he didn’t notice the last member of the family walk over to him.

'I’m glad you’re here,' Lily said, her sweet smile far kinder than Snape’s. 'Why the long face?'

'Why him?'

'I hardly think it’s any of your business.' She crossed her arms, her expression no longer sweet.

'You know he’s a tosser, right?' He pointed to Snape, who was still gardening with Harry.

They were packing in the soil around a small, slender plant before Harry showered it with his watering can.

'Now,' Severus said, 'can you remember what we use Dittany for?'

'Owwies!' Harry said with a smile.

'Yeah, I can see what you mean. What a tosser.' Lily laughed. 'I get it, James. It’s hard, and you don’t get to spend as much time with Harry. Seeing Sev get so close to him it hurts. But he’s grown up. He isn’t bitter or mean anymore. It’s in your head.'

Harry and Severus were now in the fruit plot. The little boy toddled about, plucking ripe strawberries and stuffing the occasional one in his mouth. His full cheeks now had strawberry juice mingled with the dirt.

'There’s a small part of me that’s jealous, but he knows, and he rubs salt in the wound. He does it on purpose!'

'We were talking the other day. Harry has two weeks off school coming up, and Severus suggested Harry stay with you for a full week. What do you think? Can you and Sirius handle a whole week?'

'Yes! We’d love to.' James smiled; the thought of having Harry stay was all that mattered.

'He’s changed, I promise.'

James wondered if that were true. He watched Lily join them washing the fruit. Then, Snape looked at him, a self-satisfied smirk plastered on his face.

'Sure, he’s changed, and the Cannons are the favourites to win the league this year!'
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3696