Where Is Home by JAWorley
Summary: Remus kidnaps 10 year old Harry when Albus refuses to remove him from the Dursley’s abuse. Severus is sent to find them and bring Potter back and he's not happy about being used like Dumbledore's personal servant. A Snape mentors Harry fic with a lot of Remus, Weasley and Draco involvement. No slash in the story. No relationship between Severus and Remus. Note: Dumbledore isn't evil in this story, but he is not trusted by the main characters involved because of the decisions he’s made.
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Remus, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Canon Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean, Snape is Secretive, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, Family, Fantasy, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Child fic, Incognito!Harry, Incognito!Snape, Injured!Harry, Kidnapped, Kidnapped!Harry, Runaway, Werewolves
Takes Place: 0 - Pre Hogwarts (before Harry is 11), 1st summer before Hogwarts, 1st Year, 2nd summer, 2nd Year, 3rd summer, 3rd Year, 4th summer, 4th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Neglect, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 51374 Read: 14085 Published: 27 Jul 2021 Updated: 20 Oct 2021
Found Boy by JAWorley
'Remus had gotten the job. Well, not Remus exactly. For the next nine months Remus was going to be known as Blaze Weylan. It was a personality made up entirely by Severus, who thought it was amusing to give Remus a name that meant Wolf - Son of A Wolf. Remus was not as amused, probably because his anxiety of getting caught was sapping the humor out of things for him. I liked the name. I liked the plan. I was going to get to go to Hogwarts and still see Remus. I was going to have friends my age for the first time. I was going to have my own wand. I only hoped things worked out and that we didn't end up having to run again.'

"Severus said Ollivander's is being watched, so we'll have to apparate directly inside. I don't gather Ollivander will appreciate that but it's our only option."

Harry tied his new trainers quickly and stood up, giving a last look around their tent. School started today. Ron and Draco would be getting on the train in just a couple hours and making their way to Hogwarts. The plan was to get Harry's school things today when Diagonalley wouldn't be full of last minute school shoppers and then take him directly to Hogwarts. Harry wanted to be sad that he wouldn't get to ride the train, but he wasn't. He was too excited to get a wand and see Ron and Draco again.

Harry packed his trunk (which Severus had brought him) with his new school books and robes (also brought by Severus) and the new socks and underwear Remus had bought him. Severus had spent the extra money Dumbledore had given him all summer on Harry's school things and given Remus the last of it for a wand.

"Got your polyjuice?" Harry asked.

"I have one dose. Severus has stocked the rest in my quarters." Remus packed away several new items of clothing Severus had brought to him so he wouldn't look like a professor wearing all of Remus' old things.

"You're gonna look so sharp Remus," Harry commented.

"So will you when you get a hair cut and some new clothes. Severus said he gave Molly money and she bought you some things and is sending them to school with Ron."

The plan was to make a very brief trip to Olivander's for a wand and then go out into Muggle London to get Harry a haircut and a new backpack. After that Remus would take them both to Hogwarts and then leave Harry at the edge of the lake with some lunch. It would look too suspicious if Harry just showed up with the other first years and Professor Weylan showed up just then as well. Remus would go inside to attend some last minute staff meetings and Harry would get an afternoon to himself. When the train arrived Harry was to go with the other first years.

As Remus shrunk down the tent and their camping gear he asked Harry, "What are you going to say when they start asking you questions?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm fairly certain that as soon as they spot you they'll pull you aside to ask where we've been."

"Well our trip to America was fun," Harry said.

"But we didn't take a trip to-" he gave Harry a look and then laughed and shook his head.

"It'll be fine Remus," Harry said with a laugh, but when Harry turned away he wasn't so certain. What would he say?

After they ate a hurried breakfast, Remus looked at his watch. "Olivander's shop opens in thirty seconds. If we pop into the back now we might catch him before he opens the door." He took Harry's wrist and they were gone, Harry's stomach churning with anxiety and excitement as they went. When they re-appeared they were in a shop with walls lined floor to ceiling with wand sized boxes. Harry and Remus scanned the room to find it empty, but only for a moment. Olivander came around the corner and said, "My Mr. Potter, cutting it close aren't we? The train leaves in thirty minutes, but then I don't expect you'll be on the train will you?"

Harry looked up at Remus but Remus was busy trying to gauge Olivander's reaction to their presence.

"I've been expecting you you know."

"We don't want any trouble," Remus said quietly, eyes following Olivander as he moved around the shop.

"Oh, it's a little late for that, isn't it? I heard about your duel with Minerva. How is your wand Remus?"

"It's fine," he said cautiously, "thank you."

Olivander turned to look at Harry. Harry expected the mans eyes to search out his scar like others but he didn't. "And you've been using his wand haven't you?"

Harry nodded.

"Cypress and unicorn hair, 10 and a quarter inches. No, I don't think unicorn hair is for you Mr. Potter. Perhaps dragon string." He went to a wall with mahogony boxes and pulled one out. "Try this one. Holly and Dragonstring, 9 inches." Harry took it but before he could do anything Olivander had it out of his hand and back in it's box. "No not that one." He handed Harry another from a different Mahogony box but took that from Harry as well. They went through several more before Olivander moved on to white boxes and began putting wands in and out of Harry's hand. "Not unicorn hair either? Curious Mr. Potter. Very curious." He went to the opposite wall and scanned several red boxes. There weren't very many of them. Finally he pulled one out of the very bottom. "I wonder if it's possible Mr. Potter. Try this one."

"If what's possible sir?" Harry asked as he opened the box and picked up the wand. The shop began to glow in an orange light and a few sparks shot out of the end of his wand. Harry looked at Remus who gave a nod and Harry said the levitation charm and aimed it at Olivander's chair. The chair shot up off the ground and rocketed to the ceiling where it promptly smashed and fell to bits all over the floor and counter.

"11 inches, Holly and Phoenix feather. Phoenix wands are rare Mr. Potter. Very few have them as Phoenixes only allow a select few to take their feathers. Usually a phoenix will only allow two or three to be used for wand making. The phoenix who gave up a feather for your wand only gave one other feather, and it's owner used that wand to give you that scar." He finally looked up to the fringe of Harry's hair.

"Voldemort," Harry said quietly. Olivander nodded. "And perhaps you'd like to know, the phoenix who gave the feather lives at Hogwarts. It's the Headmaster's familiar."

Harry set the wand down. "Can I have a different one please?"

"Oh no. No no, I'm afraid that won't due to let your wand hear you talking like that. The wand chooses the wizard Mr. Potter, and this wand has chosen you. Phoneix feather wands are the hardest to win over you see, and if you keep thinking like that your wand may abandon you."

"I didn't know," Harry said, "I'm sorry."

Olivander handed the box to Harry and Remus dug out the coins from his pocket to pay him.

"You're used to using a unicorn wand. Those wands are very loyal to their owners. If you've been forcing your magic through it then you're going to have to learn to adjust the power you put into your casting. Your phoenix wand won't fight you like Mr. Lupin's unicorn wand." He indicated the smashed chair and Harry's face turned red.

"I can pay you back for the chair," Harry said. "I just need to get into my vault."

"Not something I would recommend if you plan on continuing on your way without incident today," Mr. Olivander said. "Repay me by not turning the core of your wand dark like it's brother wand."

"Yes sir."

Remus reached out and took Harry's wrist, thanked Olivander for allowing them to buy a wand, and then apparated Harry away to an alley in Muggle London.

"I'm surprised he let us leave," Remus said, sounding relieved. "Put your wand in the wand holster up your sleeve."

"Ok."

"Your wand has the underage trace on it. You won't be able to use it until after the feast tonight and only on Hogwart's grounds until you're 17."

"I know."

Remus took Harry to a barber who cut Harry's hair fairly short but in a stylish fashion, and then Remus surprised Harry with a trip to a clothing store. "You'll have to look a bit more presentable on your first day. I know Molly has clothes for you but I've got just enough to get you lunch and an outfit."

"I already have jeans," Harry said. Remus had made him wash his clothes in a creek last night before bed and they were clean enough.

"I was thinking more along the lines of slacks and a buttom up shirt to wear under your robes. You can change into them and your robes when you hear the train coming, that way they don't get dirty while you wait.

Remus helped him pick out a pair of black slacks and a dark blue button up shirt with a collar. With that chore done he apparated Harry to Hogsmeade on the edge of the Forbidden Forest. "The platform is there through the trees, do you see it?" Harry nodded. "When the train comes you can drag your trunk to the platform and it'll be taken up to the school. Don't go any further into the Forbidden Forest than this Harry, and stay out of sight until the train comes. You have your wand in case anything comes out of the forest and tries to bother you but try not to use it."

"I'll be fine Remus," Harry said. "I'm going to read through some of my books."

Remus looked as though he didn't want to leave him there alone, but he had no other choice. "It'll be about eight hours until the train comes." He handed Harry his lunch and then Harry watched with fasination as Remus pulled out the phial of Polyjuice and drank the entire thing down. "This gives me 12 hours. It should get me through the rest of the day until I can get back to my quarters."

"Your voice sounds different. I'll have to get used to it."

"So will I. It sounds strange in my ears."

"Good luck Remus," Harry said, and he gave him a hug before walking off through the trees towards the castle.

Harry ate his lunch and then pulled out his new transfiguration book. It was one of the things he hadn't learned at all yet and he wanted to learn what he could before classes tomorrow. He wanted to prove to the teachers that he was smart and show them all the things Remus had taught him.

* * *

"Firs' years! Firs' years this way!" Harry dragged his trunk out of the trees and set it on the platform next to several others and then moved towards the booming voice, trying to catch sight of Ron or Draco in the throng of students, many of whom towered over him.

"Firs' years!" Harry pushed his way through a group of teenagers and then came out into a group of kids his size. He spotted an orange head and came up next to Ron.

"I wasn't sure if you were coming or not," Ron said, looking around as if he expected Dumbledore to pop out of the trees.

"I got my wand this morning," Harry said.

"We got some clothes for you. They're in my trunk."

"Thanks."

"Where's your dad?"

Harry looked around, and then said, "Tell you later."

"I'm Hagrid," came the booming voice from above them. "I'll be taken yeh all up to teh castle by boat." Hagrid lead them through the forest right past where Harry had just been sitting on his trunk an hour before, and down a path that lead to the edge of a lake. On the other side they could see a towering castle with lights shining out of it's many windows.

Harry and Ron climbed into a boat by themselves and a moment later the boat began to rock as someone else climbed in. Harry turned to find Draco. "I thought you weren't coming to school Lost Boy," he said with a grin.

"Lost Boy?" Ron said.

"This is Draco Malfoy," Harry said. "I met him while I was traveling. Draco, this is Ron. He's been helping me."

"Weasley?" Draco asked.

Ron nodded and Draco shrugged. "And do I finally get to know your name?" Draco asked, but his eyes had already flickered up to Harry's scar.

"Harry."

"Mum and dad didn't believe me that there was a boy in the forest. They said I had too much free time and set me to more studying with the tutor."

"Sorry," Harry said. The boat jerked suddenly and the small fleet lurched forward and began heading across the lake towards the castle.

"Are you and your dad still on the run?"

"Sorta. It kinda ends tonight."

"They don't know he's coming to the castle," Ron said. "My dad reckons there's going to be a commotion about it."

"Like aurors?" Draco asked.

"No," Harry said. "The Headmaster has been after us and McGonagall too."

"And Snape," Ron said, giving Harry a pointed look. Then Harry remembered that no one else but Ron knew that Severus had been helping them.

"Professor Snape? How come you didn't say anything when I mentioned him?" Draco asked.

"Well, I wasn't even supposed to be talking to you," Harry said.

They were almost at the base of the cliffs under the castle now. "What house are you going to be in?" Ron asked Draco.

"Slytherin, you?"

"Gryffindor, but my mum promised me a broom if I got into Ravenclaw. None of us have been in Ravenclaw before and she said I could prove how smart I am by going there."

Harry thought about it. "My dad says I'll probably be in Gryffindor."

"I don't want to go to Ravenclaw," Ron said. "My brothers are in Gryffindor. They're gonna pick on me if I end up in Ravenclaw."

Their boat bumped into someone else's boat on the right and then into another on the left before moving right up to a dock and stopping. Harry and the others began to climb out. Hagrid told them to start up the stairs and said that a Professor would be meeting them at the top.

"I got a wand," Harry told Ron excitedly.

"Me too. I wasn't going to get a new one but mum scraped up the money somewhere. It's unicorn and ash."

"Mine's unicorn and hawthorne," Draco said.

"I got a phoenix and Holly."

"Hey, that's rare," a boy from somewhere behind them said. "My dad has a phoenix wand and he said he was the only one in his house to have one when he went to school."

"My brother has one," said a girl as they made their way up the damp staircase. "He's in Hufflepuff."

"Ollivander only had a few in his shop when I went to get my wand," said a boy who introduced himself as Neville. "My gran insisted I try them all because my parents both had phoenix feather wands, but I ended up with Dragonstring."

They made it to the top of the stairs and had to stop because there was a door. It was dark despite the torches that were lit and cramped because of the number of people. Harry couldn't help but feeling like he was back in his cupboard under the stairs and wished that Remus was there then. Ron and Draco began talking about Quidditch but Harry didn't know much about the game aside from that it existed, so Harry began listening to the other conversations going on around them as they waited. Several girls somewhere behind him were talking about love potions and many were talking about what houses their family members had traditionally been in.

"I can't wait to learn to levitate things," a boy said and Ron said, "Harry can levitate things. His dad lets him use his wand all the time."

"No way," the boy said. "You can already do magic?"

"Some," Harry mumbled, wishing Ron hadn't singled him out. He didn't want the attention and wasn't looking forward to the attention he was going to get as soon as the staff spotted him. The door opened at that moment to reveal Professor McGonagall and Harry shrank back behind Ron and Draco as light spilled into the stairwell. Ron and Draco instinctively closed the gap in front of him. McGonagall's eyes scanned the student's faces but when she didn't spot who she was looking for her face fell.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. The sorting will begin shortly. Please form two lines and follow me." She smiled at them just as Harry peeked out from around Ron, and then turned around and lead them out of the stairwell and across what Harry could only assume was the Entrance Hall because of the large wooden front doors. From there they entered the Great Hall which was already filled with students and staff. Harry forgot to hide behind Ron and Draco and stood up straight and tall, eyes glued to the ceiling like many of his peers. He wasn't aware that several sets of eyes had already searched him out and were watching him as he stood in front of the teacher's table with the other first years waiting to be sorted.

Severus leaned in so that only Professor Weylan could hear and said, "He cleans up nice."

"It's amazing what a haircut and new clothing will do," Remus said very quietly.

"I barely recognized him."

Remus let his eyes follow Harry. He noted that he was already with Ron and Draco. It was good that he already had friends. He had felt bad for a long time that friends were not something he could provide in their predicament.

Professor McGonagall brought in the Sorting Hat and set it on the stool. It sang it's customary start of term song and then silenced, waiting for McGonagall to call the first name. "Abbott, Hanna." A girl walked up and was sorted into Hufflepuff in short order. The line grew shorter as the students were sorted. Draco went into Slytherin as was expected, and before they knew it, McGonagall had hesitantly called out, "Potter, Harry."

Harry noted that the hall had gone silent, and also that no one was looking at him. Even McGonagall seemed to be holding her breath. Had no one seen his scar yet? His hair was so short that he just assumed they had all seen it by now. He was used to having bangs to cover his face. He stepped forward and Professor McGonagall's eyes widened before a smile came over her face. "Right here Harry," she said, motioning towards the stool. Harry sat and the hat came down over his eyes.

'Ooh, a Phoenix feather wand,' the hat said. 'You're rather proud of that, aren't you Mister Potter. But I sense you're uncertain as well.' He had been thinking about his wand only a few moments ago. 'Yes, I can read your mind. That's what I'm for. But the question is where to put you. You'd do well in Slytherin. You'd have a guardian there to protect you.' Harry hadn't thought of it like that before. It might be easier with Snape close by, and he didn't really fancy having McGonagall in charge of him. Remus had been in Gryffindor though and so had his parents. 'Gryffindor? I could put you there too, but wouldn't it be so much more interesting to be in Slytherin? Don't you and your wand want to prove that you can come out of Slytherin the exact opposite of your wand's brother?' I don't know what I want, Harry thought. I just want to belong and to hurry up and be sorted. 'You're not very ambitious are you? I could put you in Slytherin if you were. I'm rather afraid to put you in Slytherin if you're so uncertain however. There's a lot of influence floating around that house and not all of it good. Better be, "GRYFFINDOR."

Gryffindor started clapping and Harry tried hard not to look at the staff table as he passed. He didn't want his eyes to give away Remus and Severus. He sat down next to Neville and a girl with brown hair that had just been sorted, (was her name Lavendar or Hermione?) and breathed out a sigh of relief. He looked across the hall and gave Draco a thumbs up, which was returned to him. He didn't feel so much like a lost boy anymore when he belonged to a house.

The sorting continued and when Ron was sorted into Gryffindor followed by a boy who went into Slytherin, the sorting was over. Harry did look up at the Head table now as the feast started. At the very center of the table was a man with long gray hair. He was watching Harry with a smile. It must have been Dumbledore. He and McGonagall were talking and Harry noted that he kept leaning over to Snape as well. He wondered what Snape was saying to him. Harry had been warned last night though that Snape would be putting on a show as part of their plan to enable Harry to stay over the holidays. He was supposed to be acting like he didn't like Harry very much in the hopes that the Headmaster would put Snape in charge of him over holidays. If he didn't like Harry then he wouldn't let him 'slack off' with his tutors. Harry wondered how that would be with Snape acting like he didn't like him. Harry used to believe that the man didn't, but he'd continually brought them supplies and even spoken to Harry a time or two about mundane things just to make conversation. And he'd saved Remus. That was what counted most.

"I'm glad we both made it," Ron said. "I didn't decide until last minute for Gryffindor."

"You can always use a school broom," Harry said. "It was going to put me into Slytherin with Draco."

"Really? That would have been something. I would have liked to have seen Dumbledore's face at that announcement."

"Slytherin?" a boy asked. Harry thought his name was Seamus. "Only dark witches and wizards come out of there."

"Not all of them," Harry said. "I'm friends with two Slytherins already."

The boy looked shocked and went back to his meal.

After desert Ron mumbled to Harry, "Here we go," and Harry looked up to the staff table where McGonagall was standing up and making her way down. Prefects were also standing and telling the first years at their tables to follow them.

"I guess I'll see you after," Harry said.

"I'll make sure we get beds next to each other so we can share a desk."

"Ok."

"Mr. Potter." Harry looked up at his name. McGonagall didn't seem angry, but he couldn't get the image of her fighting Remus out on the street out of his head. She was certainly angry then.

"Yes maam?" he asked. He couldn't pretend like he didn't know what this was about, and she seemed to notice.

"Will you please come with me? There's a matter that we need to discuss."

Harry stood and waved goodbye to Ron as Ron and the other Gryffindor first years were lead out of the Great Hall. He and McGonagall stood and waited for the other houses to exit as well. When Draco passed he gave McGonagall a worried look and then flashed a grin at Harry and gave him the thumbs up again. Harry waved at him and then the hall was empty aside from himself and Professor McGonagall.

"Well Harry," she said as she lead him to a door behind the staff table. "How did you like the feast? I bet you've never had foods like that before."

"Oh no," Harry said. "My dad feeds me a lot of good food. He's a good cook."

"Y, your dad?"

"Yeah. Except his porridge. That's not very good. I tried to convince him to put chocolate chips in it but he wouldn't."

She opened the door and waited until Harry went inside. It looked like a teacher's lounge. It had a large table and several cushy chairs around a fire. Severus and Dumbledore were there. Harry wished that Remus was too.

"Good evening Harry," Dumbledore said. Harry made eye contact with him and tried hard not to look at Severus for support.

"Hello sir."

"Would you please have a seat? We would like to ask you some questions about what you've been up to recently."

"Up to?" Harry asked as he sat down. The other professor's sat as well. "I got a new wand this morning, and a hair cut."

Dumbledore smiled and Harry couldn't help but notice that the man's eyes seemed delighted in what he'd said. He wondered why.

"We were concerned, you see," Dumbledore said. "A little over a year ago you disappeared from your relatives house. For a long time your Hogwarts letter couldn't reach you. We wondered if you would come to school at all."

"It would have been nice if I could have gotten to my vault to buy school supplies," Harry said, "but since you were out to get us, it wasn't an option. I might have wanted to come more if that wasn't a factor."

McGonagall looked surprised but if Dumbledore was, he didn't let on.

"I hope you can understand Harry that we were all only worried about your safety. It's not normal for a boy to disappear for over a year." Harry wanted to snap at him that it wasn't normal for a boy to live in a cupboard under the stairs, but kept his mouth closed. If Remus hadn't been able to sway him than neither would Harry.

"What is it you want to ask me then," Harry said, feeling irritated and wanting to join his new housemates in Gryffindor. He was eager to see what it looked like and where he'd be sleeping.

"Where have you been?" McGonagall asked gently.

"Traveling with Remus."

"But where?"

"Everywhere. All over. Britain, Scotland, Ireland."

"Where did you stay?"

"Wouldn't you rather know where I stayed before I went with Remus?" Harry asked. McGonagall looked perplexed but Dumbledore promptly changed the subject.

"What did you do when you were with Remus?"

"I learned mostly. He had first year school books for me and a list of spells he wanted me to learn."

"You used his wand?" Severus asked, and Harry noted that his tone was off... he seemed snide almost.

"Yes sir."

"And what kinds of spells did you learn Harry?"

Harry pulled out his wand and aimed it at Snape. The man raised his brow and Harry lowered his wand to the footstool in front of him. He concentrated hard on not trying to force his power through the wand like with Remus' and just let it flow, and levitated it. It did shoot up towards the ceiling, but it didn't crash or break into pieces. He lowered it gently to the floor. "Just standard spells." Harry looked around the room and tried to feel what magic was there. "And spell detection. There's something hidden on top of the mantle."

"The points book," Dumbledore said with a smile. "It tracks all points that are awarded or lost in a year by each student. It remains concealed until a staff says the password. Students have been known to try to sneak in to see it in the past."

"Huh."

"What did you eat?" McGonagall asked. "Who did you interact with."

Harry looked at her. "I told you what we ate. And we interacted with you. You duelled my dad in the winter."

"You were there?" she asked.

"I saw the whole thing." He stood up, still angry about the incident. He wanted to pace or to leave the room, but he didn't know where to go or how to get to Gryffindor tower.

"Harry, please have a seat," the Headmaster asked. Harry didn't sit. He decided to take his chances in the castle. Maybe he'd run into Remus. He was sure the man was worried by now.

"Sit!" Snape snapped, and Harry's head snapped over to him. He frowned and sat back in his chair.

"Come now Severus," Dumbledore said quietly. Harry wondered if Severus was genuinely angry at him or if it was all part of the act he was supposed to be putting on.

"I believe Professor McGonagall was asking if you had any friends."

"Of course I did," Harry said. At a glare from Snape Harry started to feel nervous again and continued talking. He supposed that Dumbledore already knew about the Weasleys so it would be ok to tell him about Ron. "After we faced down Ron's mum in Warton's Cross I got to spend some time with him. And I met Draco on accident one day and we played."

"Anyone else Harry?" Dumbledore asked, and he shook his head. If he thought Harry was going to give up Snape he was wrong. Harry wasn't that easily fooled.

"And how did you get your wand this morning? Tell us about that."

"We apparated into Ollivander's and he let me try wands until we found one that worked."

"And how did you get to Hogwarts? You weren't on the train."

"My dad dropped me off a few minutes before the train pulled in to the station. Then I came up to the castle with the other first years."

The three professors exchanged glances. "Harry, you do know that Remus Lupin is not your father," McGonagall said.

"Well who else have I got as one?" Harry asked sharpely, irritated again. "Mine's dead. I think it's not asking too much to have someone to take care of me, is it?"

"But your relatives-"

Dumbledore interrupted her as he clasped his hands together and stood up. "Harry, we would like Madam Pomfrey to look you over before bed. I assure you it will be quick so that you can re-join your house mates."

When Harry didn't stand up or say anything, Severus stood up and pointed at the door and Harry finally stood and followed directions. Dumbledore and Snape stayed behind in the teacher's chamber and McGonagall lead him up through the castle to the Hospital Wing.

"I am sorry that I had to duel... your father on Warton's Cross," she said carefully part way up through the castle.

"Are you? I don't have anyone. You know that don't you? And you tried to kill the one person I do have."

"Harry, I would- I would never try to kill Remus Lupin. We were once friends."

"Why did you stop being his friend?"

"He kidnapped you."

"He rescued me."

They stopped walking and she gave Harry a look of pity.

"You think I'm brainwashed or something," Harry said. "That he tricked me. Told me lies to get me to go with him. That would all be easy wouldn't it? Well it's not that easy."

"We couldn't understand why he would want to take you," she said.

"Because the Dursley's weren't nice. Because I was tired of living in the cupboard under the stairs and doing all of their cooking and cleaning for them, and never having any friends."

"The cupboard under the stairs?"

"If you would have asked Remus instead of just attacking him, you would have known that. The day he took me away I was covered in bruises. He asked me if I wanted to live a better life and I said I did. He didn't take me, I chose to go with him. I'm never going back to Privet Drive."

"Harry, I didn't know. Perhaps if he'd brought this to our attention we could have taken the steps necessary to remove you."

"Yeah, that would have happened," Harry snarked. "The next time you see him ask him what steps he went through to 'remove' me."

"I don't believe I will ever get the chance to see him again."

"You will," he said with certainty as they made the door to the Hospital Wing. McGonagall pushed it open and Harry went inside. Madam Pomfrey came over, a look of surprise on her face.

"There's an injury already? Didn't the children just go to their dorms an hour ago?"

"He's not injured Poppy," McGonagall said, and Harry noted that she sounded sad and flustered at the same time. "The Headmaster wants you to check him over."

"He wants to see if I'm a werewolf," Harry said, and Poppy looked at his scar and then frowned.

"Surely not Mr. Potter," she said. She motioned to the closest bed and Harry sat down.

"If I were I wouldn't be here, I'd be at that school for the fey. That's where I wanted to go."

"You'd miss out on Hogwarts?" Poppy asked as she waved her wand around him.

"It'd be better there."

She looked at McGonagall who kept her mouth shut tightly, lips in a firm line. "I'm all done. I'll send the report to the Headmaster. And he's not a werewolf," she stated, more for Harry's benefit than to actually inform McGonagall, "though how or why you would be Mr. Potter is beyond me at the moment."

Harry got up and followed McGonagall out. Back in the quiet corridor Harry said, "My dad said you thought he'd eaten me."

"It was a thought that had crossed my mind."

"I wouldn't have tasted very good," Harry said.

"Why is that?"

Harry looked up at her as they walked. She hadn't yet been mean to him, and he was starting to feel bad with how much he'd snarked at her. He supposed it was his nerves and all the upset that had bubbled back up to the surface from the day he thought he'd lost Remus after the duel. "I have kind of a sour attitude."

She looked down at him as they walked.

"He'd want me to apologize to you for being rude."

"Would he?"

"He's not angry at you. He's just sad becuase you didn't trust him. I was angry because I thought you were gonna kill him."

She lead him to a short dead end corridor with a picture of a very wide lady and then stopped and looked down at Harry. "Harry, I am very sorry for what's gone on between us. I didn't know how you thought of him or that you saw him as the only person able to take care of you. I would never take anyone from you."

"Just listen to him the next time you see him," Harry insisted. She was quiet for a moment, and then gave him a nod.

"Cauldron cakes," she said. Harry gave her an odd look, but then the portrait swung forward from the wall, startling him, and revealed a short corridor with a low ceiling and a large room on the other side.

"The boys dormitories are on the left," she said. "Follow the stairs until you see the door that says first years."

"Thank you." He climbed inside and the portrait closed. There were still twenty Gryffindors in the common room, but he didn't see Ron or any of the other first years.

"Over there," a boy with orange hair said, and Harry wondered if it was one of Ron's brothers. He went to the staircase the boy was pointing at and went up to the third landing and into the first year boy's dorms. Ron was inside and so were the others.

"Where'd you go?" Seamus asked.

Harry shrugged. "They wanted to know about my wand." It was the only thing he could think to say, and he wondered if Ron had said anything that would contradict.

"I saved you a bed," he said, and pointed to the bed next to his. It was the last one on the end closest to the door, and Harry was pleased that there was a window over a desk across from his bed. "You and I share a wardrobe and the desk. I put all my stuff on the left."

Harry opened his trunk and began to pull out his robes and other items as the other boys were doing. Ron came over with an armful of new clothes and set them on Harry's bed.

"Thanks." The clothes looked nice. There were several pairs of jeans and five or six t-shirts in different colors. There was also a winter hat, a t-shirt, and a dark blue zip up hoodie with a large circular logo on the front with a falcon.

"I didn't know what team you'd like but I saw you wearing blue and figured you might like the Falmouth Falcons. There's a t-shirt too."

Harry grinned. "They're great."

"I like the Cannons," Ron said.

"So do I," said one of the boys as he came over to them. "I'm Dean Thomas by the way."

"Harry Potter."

"I'm from a Muggle family but after we got my letter my parents got me tickets to a Cannon's game and took me."

"Gran said she'd disown me if I didn't root for the Harpies," Nevile piped in.

Harry listened to the other boys talk for almost an hour as he put his things in the wardrobe and desk. He liked all of them. They were nice and they seemed to like him. He couldn't wait to tell Remus in the morning, though he wondered how he would manage that since he wasn't supposed to know Professor Weylan. Maybe he could tell Snape and he could tell Remus. But, Harry thought as he fell asleep, I'm not supposed to know Snape either. He'd have to figure something out.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3697