Finding a Father by LilPadfoot16
Past Featured StorySummary: [COMPLETE] What happens when Harry finds out that his father is alive? How about when said father is his hated Potions professor? Harry has to deal with the fact that he is a Snape while trying to cope with Sirus’ death in OotP. Summer before and during sixth year. OotP spoilers. This is in response to Severitus Challenge.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Suicide Themes, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 97851 Read: 200719 Published: 22 Jan 2005 Updated: 02 Aug 2005
Parental Duties by LilPadfoot16
Author's Notes:
This Chapter: Snape takes his parental responsibilities fully into hand.

The ground rushed towards Harry and he screamed. Voldemort’s maniacal laughter rang in his ears as he woke with a start. With his heart beating frantically in his chest, he searched in the semi-darkness for Snape. No one was there.

“Dad?” he called uncertainly. Was he really awake this time or was this his mind playing another cruel trick on him? He shoved the blankets back and stumbled out of bed. He had to grip the bedpost to keep steady as he looked around the room, which didn’t have any doors or windows.

“Hello?” he called. Where was he? He took a few unsteady steps and stumbled over his feet. He fell towards the wall.

Harry was shocked when he passed right through it. He landed, sprawled out, on the floor of the darkened hospital wing. He sat up and looked behind him.

The “wall” behind him looked exactly like the rest of the hospital wing walls. He touched the wall and his hand passed right through it. Just like Platform Nine and Three Quarters, thought Harry.

“There you are, Mr. Potter,” came the voice of Madam Pomfrey from behind him. Harry twisted back around and saw the Medi-witch standing there, wearing her dressing gown.

“You should not be out of bed, considering you’ve just woken up from a coma,” chided Madam Pomfrey. 'What?' Harry’s mind reeled.

“Up you get now.” She gripped his upper arm and pulled him to his feet.

“But--”

“You need to rest,” said Madam Pomfrey as she led Harry through the “wall” and over to his bed.

“Where is Professor Snape?” demanded Harry.

“He is sleeping, which is exactly what you should be doing,” said Madam Pomfrey.

“I want to see him,” said Harry.

“It is the middle of the night. You can see him in the morning,” said Madam Pomfrey.

“But--”

“Go to sleep or I will make you sleep,” she ordered. Harry obeyed, climbing into bed, but he couldn't fall asleep. His mind was abuzz with thoughts. How long had be been out? What had happened with Malfoy? Where was his father?

He curled up on his side on the bed, knowing that he didn’t have the strength to get up and find him. He would have to wait for morning, if Madam Pomfrey was telling the truth.

Doubt was starting to creep into his mind about that. He tossed and turned for several hours until Madam Pomfrey came into the room with a potion. He took the potion and drank it, grimacing at the bitter taste. Minutes later, he was asleep…..

Soft voices woke him from his restful sleep. He blinked his eyes open blearily and looked for the small disturbance. Across the room, he could make out the form of Madam Pomfrey and someone in black robes facing away from him.

Still feeling disoriented, he managed to sit up and said, “Dad?” The figure in black whirled around and Harry was suddenly caught up in Snape’s tight embrace.

“Merlin, Harry. I thought I’d lost you,” Snape breathed into Harry’s shoulder. Harry’s mind was relieved, then, to hear those words. All those dreams hadn’t been true. Snape wouldn’t leave him. Not now, not ever.

Harry relaxed into Snape’s embrace, letting himself let go. Hot tears slid down his face and were soaked up by Snape’s robes. They stayed like that for a long time, drinking up each other’s presence, until Madam Pomfrey interrupted them to give Harry his potions.

As soon as her back was turned, Harry rolled his eyes at his father, but drank the vile potions nonetheless. Moments later, he began to feel tired as the potions took effect.

“That’s not fair,” he complained as his eyes slipped closed.

“Sleep, Harry,” he heard as he fell into a dreamless sleep. When he woke up, Ron and Hermione were seated at the end of his bed.

“Hey guys,” he said as he sat up.

“Hello, Harry,” said Hermione.

“Hey mate,” said Ron.

“Professor Snape was just in here. He said to tell you he had some work to do, but he’ll be by later,” said Hermione.

“Okay,” said Harry.

“We brought your work by,” said Hermione. Ron gave him a sympathetic look as he pointed to a pile of books and parchment on the table beside his bed. “You really need to stop missing classes.”

“And Quidditch practices,” added Ron. “Speaking of which, that little ferret and his goons all got a lifetime ban from Quidditch after that stunt.”

“Good. They deserve it,” said Harry vindictively.

“They really ought to have been expelled,” interjected Hermione.

“Guess Dumbledore didn’t want them to be able to join You-Know-Who,” said Ron. Harry would rather he be expelled, even if it would put him where he could be trained to be just like his father. As it was, he could get revenge on the little ferret.

“Knowing him, he’ll probably do plenty of other things that are grounds for expulsion. Dumbledore won’t be able to ignore it for long,” said Harry.

“True,” said Hermione. Harry was a little worried, though. Malfoy was sure to try much worse things than having him hit in the head with a Bludger. He decided to change the subject.

“So, does anyone know when I’m getting out of here?” he asked.

“Madam Pomfrey didn’t tell us, maybe she told Professor Snape,” said Hermione.

“I don’t want to stay in here. I’ve already missed enough classes,” complained Harry.

“We’ll just keep bringing you your assignments,” said Hermione brightly. “You need to stay in the hospital wing until you’re better.” Harry rolled his eyes.

“I feel fine,” he said exasperatedly.

“Harry, you’ve been unconscious for over a week, you’ll be staying here until Madam Pomfrey says you can leave,” he heard his father say from across the room. Harry looked up and saw Snape carrying a large box.

“I need to give these to Madam Pomfrey,” said Snape and headed to Madam Pomfrey’s office.

“Oh really?” said Harry quietly.

“Are you planning on sneaking out?” asked Ron excitedly.

“Shh,” said Harry.

“Harry! You’re not sneaking out of here,” admonished Hermione.

“Who says I can’t?” challenged Harry.

“I do,” said Hermione.

“As do I,” Snape’s voice interrupted. “Madam Pomfrey believes that you will be in here a few days longer. I’m sure you can wait that long.”

“Sure,” said Harry, though he still wanted out. Ron and Hermione only stayed a while longer, then left Harry with Snape, who wanted to voice some concerns over Harry’s safety.

“When you get out of here, I want you to be very careful, especially around the Slytherins, mainly Malfoy and his gang. He’s dangerous. There’s no telling what he might do if he’s given the opportunity,” said Snape seriously.

“Okay,” said Harry.

“Keep your wand with you at all times and this,” said Snape, holding out a tiny vial on a silver chain.

“What is it?” asked Harry as he put it around his neck. He held it up for close inspection and saw that it was filled with a bluish liquid.

“The Antidote to Common Poisons. And if it doesn’t work, it’s a voice-activated Portkey that will take you directly to my rooms. It will only react to your voice and the word home, but you have to be holding onto it for it to work. Do not lose it and don’t let anyone see it.” Harry tucked it under his shirt and looked at his father.

“What’s next, me carrying a dagger around?” joked Harry.

“Don’t joke, that’s a distinct possibility,” said Snape seriously.

“Okay,” said Harry. He hoped he wouldn’t have to carry any weapons with him. That was like admitting he might have to injure or kill another person, and he wasn’t so sure he could do that. At least, not to anyone who wasn’t Voldemort.

Harry could feel the pressure now. He was going to have to kill Voldemort, possibly in the very near future. He would have to take another’s life, even if he was inherently evil. He might have to kill others too, besides Voldemort. He shuddered at the thought and felt Snape’s light touch on his arm.

“Harry?” asked Snape.

“What?” said Harry.

“You were out of it for a minute there,” said Snape.

“Oh, I was just thinking how this is so much more real now,” said Harry, fingering the necklace.

“I just want you to be safe,” said Snape.

“Yeah, I know,” said Harry softly.

The next few days passed by slowly for Harry, interrupted by dozens of potions and repeated check-ups by Madam Pomfrey. He was finally released on Wednesday night with strict instructions to return if he felt at all unwell. Harry and rolled his eyes at this and walked out with his friends.

The next day, he was back to class, thankfully caught up with his work.

Thank Merlin for Hermione, thought Harry as he headed to Potions, his last class of the day. Harry turned in his assignments and went to his seat with Hermione. Snape set them all to making Calming Draughts. Harry figured that wouldn’t be too hard, but there was a danger of explosion if anything other than the ingredients necessary was added while brewing.

As he was making his potion, he heard a quiet chink beside him. Looking down, he could see a raven claw lying on the table beside his cauldron.

Odd, he thought as he picked it up and examined it. He turned around and saw Malfoy seemingly intent on making his potion, though Harry could see the traces of a smirk on his face.

“Mr. Potter, I advise you attend to your potion and quit gawking about the room.” Harry turned around and dropped the claw back on his table, then resumed work on his potion.

A few minutes later, though, he heard a quiet splash. His cauldron began to hiss and bubble angrily.

'Shit,' he thought.

“Get down!” he yelled as he threw himself to the floor and covered his head with his arms. He heard loud gurgling and then the potion exploded, raining droplets of burning potion down onto his body.

It only lasted a few seconds, though. He heard Snape yell out an incantation and the potion ceased to fall, though Harry’s skin still prickled uncomfortably. He got to his feet and looked around. Malfoy was looking quite smug and unharmed.

“Those of you who have not been harmed by the potion are dismissed. Those who have, come up here for the antidote.” Harry headed up to the front with several other people.

He winced when Snape suddenly barked, “Mr. Malfoy, stay here!” Malfoy dropped back into his seat, the smug look gone from his face. Snape handed each of them a tiny vial of green potion.

“Drink it all,” he advised them. Harry downed his and handed the vial back. The burning immediately subsided from his skin.

“The rest of you are dismissed now, except for Mr. Malfoy,” said Snape. Harry turned to go get his bag, but felt Snape grab hold of his arm.

“I want you in my office at six, Mr. Potter,” said Snape.

“Yes, sir,” he muttered and pulled away to get his bag. What did Snape want with him now? He hadn’t done anything. He grabbed his bag and left, heading up to the Tower.

Once inside, he joined Ron and Hermione beside the fire.

“Are you all right, Harry?” asked Hermione, concern obvious in her voice.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” said Harry as he sat down. “but Snape wants me to come down at six.”

“Why?” asked Ron.

“I have no idea. Probably about that little ferret,” said Harry. When it was time to head to the dungeons, Harry made sure he kept one hand on his wand the whole way down. Malfoy hadn’t been at dinner, and Harry was sure he was planning something.

He walked uneasily to his father’s office. He knocked on the door while keeping one eye on the hallway. The door opened immediately and Harry slipped quickly inside.

“Sit,” ordered Snape. Harry dropped into the chair across from Snape’s desk. Snape came over and leaned against his desk with his arms crossed.

“The Headmaster feels it would be best if Mr. Malfoy is to remain in my class, though on probation. I am also moving him to the front of the room, where I can watch him closely.” Snape had brought him down here just to tell him this?

“And why are you telling me now?” asked Harry. Snape narrowed his eyes and leaned forward.

“I am calling you because you are in danger,” hissed Snape. “If you think Mr. Malfoy is the only Death Eater in training in this school, then you are sadly mistaken. There are plenty more of them, and they will not hesitate to hurt you and take you back to Voldemort.”

“Can’t you just expel them all?” asked Harry.

“You honestly think that would go over well with the Board of Governors? No student will be expelled from Hogwarts without reasonable cause, including Mr. Malfoy,” said Snape. “And no, being a suspected Death Eater is not reasonable cause. There has to be clear proof of wrongdoing.”

“Oh, and arranging to have me knocked off my broom isn’t? Or how about getting my potion to explode?” said Harry angrily.

“There is no actual proof,” said Snape calmly. Before Harry could interrupt, he continued. “You said it yourself. He arranged for it to happen, we can't prove that he is the one that made your potion explode either. All we have is circumstantial evidence, no real proof of anything, and that would never stand with the Governors, which brings me back to why I brought you down here. You must be kept safe at all costs.”

“Real safe, going to school with Junior Death Eaters,” muttered Harry.

“That is why I have a few rules for you,” said Snape.

“Sure, whatever,” said Harry.

“First, I want you to have your wand with you at all times. Second, you are to keep the poison antidote with you, also at all times. Third, you are not to walk around alone. I don’t care if you are using that blasted cloak or if you have that damned map with you, you are not to be alone. Understood?”

“Yes, sir,” said Harry. Well, there went all his freedom. Damn those Junior Death Eaters, thought Harry. Snape must have gotten some sense of Harry’s thoughts, because he uncrossed his arms and leaned towards Harry.

“Harry, I just want you to be safe. I will do anything I can to keep you that way,” said Snape. “I don’t want you doing things that deliberately endanger yourself and others.”

“I will,” promised Harry, sobered by Snape’s sincerity.

“You can go now,” said Snape as he went around his desk and dropped into his chair. Harry got up and opened the door.

“’Night dad,” he said quietly before closing the door behind him.

~Snape’s POV~

Snape sat at his desk with his head in his hands. How had things gotten so bad, so quickly? Harry didn’t seem to understand the severity of the situation. Both Harry and himself were in danger from the continued threat of the Death Eaters’ children.

One of these days, someone was going to slip, and what would result would not be good. He just hoped it didn’t happen to him or his son.

Merlin, if anything else happened to Harry, he wasn’t sure how long it was going to take until Harry finally snapped. The beginning of the year had been hell, and Harry surely couldn’t take much more stress in his life.

Snape stopped to ponder Harry’s last words to him.

‘Night, dad.’

Did that mean Harry was feeling more comfortable with their newfound relationship? He hoped so. He wanted Harry to feel at ease in his presence. But Harry had left before he’d had a chance to reply. Was Harry afraid of what he might say back? Maybe he needed another talk with Harry about that.

Not another detention, no, something much more family-oriented, perhaps tea in his rooms on a Sunday? That would be much less formal. He would have to think on that a while…….

~Harry’s POV~

That night, Harry lay in bed, unable to sleep. He couldn’t stop thinking about what Snape had said to him, how there Death Eaters in Houses other than Slytherin. Who could they be? And how could they betray their school like that?

Then, yet another horrifying thought occurred to him. Were any of them Gryffindors? He shuddered and pressed himself against the headboard of his bed, his arms locked around his knees. If they were in his House, then he wasn’t safe at all at Hogwarts. He wasn’t safe anywhere.

Merlin, this was supposed to be a school, not a battlefield. Yet this war was affecting them all. Everyone had to choose a side, and not all of them were going to choose the Light side. People were going to die, some of them his classmates. No one was safe from the killings. Not even his friends. He shivered in the cool night air as it blew through his dormitory.

He climbed wearily out of bed to close the window and heard Ron’s sleepy voice ask, “Harry, that you?”

“Yeah, Ron. Go back to sleep,” said Harry heavily.

“Something the matter?” asked Ron.

“No, just……family stuff,” said Harry.

“Oh,” yawned Ron.

“Go back to sleep, Ron. I’m fine,” said Harry.

“’kay,” said Ron. Harry heard the covers rustling, and then Ron’s loud snores. He closed the window and climbed back into his bed, still wide-awake.

He lay on his stomach with his hands over his head. He had to get to sleep. He had classes in the morning. He didn’t need to be falling asleep during them, especially since it was only his second day back.

A part of him wanted to touch the vial around his neck and get a potion from Snape, but he was reluctant to depend on potions to sleep. Besides, that would mean having to face him after that horrible conversation they’d had and his parting words.

'Night dad.'

Just what part of him had compelled him to say that? And how was Snape going to react?

Harry had to admit, he was scared. Scared of losing his father again. He’d missed out on so much and now he was getting a second chance. Both of them were. But this war……..

They were both in danger, he was aware of that. There was a very high chance of one or both of them not making it through the war. Harry pressed his face to his pillow and tried not to think about that.

He just couldn’t face the thought of losing Snape. He felt a warm tear slide down his face and fall onto his pillow. His life was so mixed up right now. He wasn’t sure how much more chaos he could handle…..

What seemed like hours later, and probably was, Harry finally fell into a restless sleep filled with figures in black cloaks and people screaming.

He woke feeling exhausted from his restless night. He groaned at the bright light that was sneaking through the cracks in his bed curtains and covered his face.

“Harry, you finally awake?” came Ron’s voice.

“Go away, Ron,” said Harry.

“We’re going to be late if you don’t get a move on,” said Ron.

“I don’t care,” said Harry as he rolled over and covered his head with his blankets.

“Harry!” said Ron indignantly. Harry heard a soft swoosh as his bed curtains were opened. “You have to get up!”

“I don’t want to,” mumbled Harry.

“Fine, you can just stay here. But I am going to tell your dad,” said Ron as he moved away and the curtain fell back into place.

Harry remained where he was and quickly drifted back off to sleep. Who cared if Ron told on him? He sure didn’t. He was so tired……

------------------

“Harry.” Hands shook him gently. “Wake up.”

“Mrmph,” mumbled Harry drowsily.

“Come on, Harry. You’ve got to get up now,” came his father’s deep voice.

“Don’t wanna,” mumbled Harry.

“Harry!” said his father sternly. Harry’s eyes snapped open.

“What?” he said irritably.

“Why didn’t you get up this morning?” asked Snape.

“I was tired,” said Harry. “I couldn’t sleep all night.”

“And why is that?” asked Snape, his hands still not leaving Harry’s shoulders and his eyes not moving from Harry’s face.

“I couldn’t stop thinking about what you told me, about the Death Eaters here at Hogwarts,” said Harry.

“That shouldn’t bother you; you’ve known that many of the Slytherins come from Death Eater families,” said Snape.

“I know, but to think they could be Gryffindors, in my own House, where they could get at me. I just don’t want to have to worry about a bunch of little Lucius Malfoy clones running around.” Harry shuddered at the thought of what those kids could be capable of.

“I mean, if Lucius is teaching Malfoy things and he goes and tells the rest of them, I can’t face that. I just can’t….” Snape’s hands slid around his back and hugged Harry's body to him.

“I won’t let them do that. I won’t let them do anything to you,” said Snape gently.

“I know,” said Harry softly. “I’m just….scared.”

“Harry,” said Snape, his arms tightening around Harry. “I will do anything for you and I will keep you safe, no matter what, but please, promise me that you will come to me when you need me.”

“I promise,” said Harry. He looked up and gave Snape a watery smile. “dad.”

Snape smiled at him and said, “Come on, you’ve got enough time to get dressed and get to the Great Hall for lunch before your afternoon classes.”

“What?” asked Harry, confused.

“I’m just being your father,” said Snape as he released Harry and got off the bed. “I’ll see you in the Great Hall in a short while.” He left Harry alone to get dressed.

Harry did so quickly and walked down to the Common Room, where he was greeted by Ron and Hermione, both of whom were looking worried. When they saw him, Hermione threw her arms around him and began squeezing the life out of him.

“Hermione, I can’t breathe,” he gasped. She released him and looked at him with overly-bright eyes.

“We were so worried when you wouldn’t wake up,” she said, her voice trembling slightly.

“I’m fine. I was just really tired. I had some things on my mind,” said Harry.

“You said it was family stuff,” said Ron.

“It was,” said Harry. “Snape told me some things that I’d rather not discuss right now. It just freaked me out a bit, that’s all.”

“If you say so,” said Hermione doubtfully.

“Come on, let’s go to the Great Hall. I’m starved,” said Harry, changing the topic. He’d rather not discuss the Death Eaters in Hogwarts with Ron and Hermione. He just wasn’t ready to think about that.

“Sure,” said Ron. “I’m starved too.”

They walked downstairs and into the Great Hall, where Harry was greeted with stares and whispers from his classmates and an approving look from his father. He smiled up at the Head table and took a seat with Ron and Hermione.

“Does anyone know, you know, about Snape?” asked Harry quietly.

“I don’t think so,” said Hermione. “He came up during classes and got us out of Transfiguration to come with him. Professor McGonagall didn’t mind us going; she knew too.” Harry breathed a sigh of relief.

“Thank Merlin. I’m not ready for everyone else to know yet,” said Harry. “But what do you mean, ‘she already knew’?”

“We had to tell her this morning at breakfast that you wouldn’t get up. She told Snape and he said to just let you go, that he’d go up and check on you if you didn’t come down on your own,” said Ron.

“Oh, okay,” said Harry. His secret was safe for now, but how long would that be? With all this crazy stuff happening, he wasn’t sure how much longer he could keep up the charade.

The End.
End Notes:

Next Chapter: Chapter 13: Some Semblance of Normal

I have started a group on yahoo for everyone to join in on the fun with this story and my other Snape mentoring fic, Forgotten Memories. It's a place for everyone to share theories, chat with other readers, get spoilers and updates from me, and just to generally have fun. It's available at: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/findingafatherandforgottenmemoriesgroup

I hope to see everyone there!



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=37