Finding a Father by LilPadfoot16
Past Featured StorySummary: [COMPLETE] What happens when Harry finds out that his father is alive? How about when said father is his hated Potions professor? Harry has to deal with the fact that he is a Snape while trying to cope with Sirus’ death in OotP. Summer before and during sixth year. OotP spoilers. This is in response to Severitus Challenge.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Suicide Themes, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 97851 Read: 200955 Published: 22 Jan 2005 Updated: 02 Aug 2005
Behind These Emerald Eyes by LilPadfoot16
Author's Notes:

This Chapter: The spell is taken off Harry, though not exactly with the desired results.

A Note: Ishnalda Gaphirk is completely my creation, as well as the spell he created.

Inside the library, Snape borrowed a piece of parchment and a never-out quill from Madam Pince, then headed over to the Restricted Section, where any information on the spell was most likely to be.

He set the parchment and the quill on a table in the corner, and then he and Lupin set out finding books that could contain information on that spell.

He wasn’t going to waste time searching through them, though. He knew a quick spell that could search books and would tell whether something was in a book or not. He set his pile of books down on the table and pulled out his wand.

“Revelo pour altérer un esprit,” he incanted. The topmost book remained still. Snape set it aside and continued on to the next one. Dozens of books later, they still hadn’t found anything.

Finally, about a half hour later, Lupin said, “Look at this,” and held out a book to him. Snape took the proffered book and read the passage Lupin indicated.

Another mind-altering spell is known as the Mind Bender. A spell on a level with the Imperius

Curse, it bends the victims mind and spirit to the caster’s will. Misuse of this spell can have

disastrous results on both the caster and victim.

All at once Snape remembered where he had seen the spell before. It was in a book in his own personal library, which, conveniently enough, was at his manor house. They would need to Floo there.

“Come on,” he said to Lupin. “We need to go to my manor.”

“Whatever for?” asked Lupin.

“Because I know where to get more information on this curse.” He quickly spelled the information from the book onto the parchment and headed out of the library. He handed the quill back to Madam Pomfrey on the way out and they returned to his office.

Snape took a handful of glittering green powder from the box on the mantle piece and threw it down. He stepped into the flames and shouted his destination. The green flames spun and whirled him around, and in seconds he was stepping from the fireplace in his library.

Without waiting for Lupin to emerge from the fire himself, he headed off to the ‘M’ section of the library. He ran his finger along the spines of the books, finally locating one entitled, ‘Mind Altering Spells, Hexes, and Curses.’

It was Dark Arts, some of the very worst kinds of it. Wizards believed that using spells to mess around with others’ minds, even Muggles, was one of the worst things to do to someone.

That was the reason the Cruciatus and Imperius were so heavily restricted, as well as any other spell that altered someone’s mind. But some wizards just liked using that kind of torture.

Like the Malfoys, he thought with disgust.

He took the book over to a chair by the fireplace, where Lupin was looking around with a confused look upon his face.

“There you are,” started Lupin, but Snape held up a hand for him to be silent. He sat down and bean flipping through the book.

There. He read through the passage slowly and methodically, taking in every detail about the spell.

Created in 1765 by Ishnalda Gapnirk, this spell is heavily restricted by the Ministry as a Dark Arts spell.

Having the victim be completely still is a must for the curse to work properly, as it is very difficult to cast.

If used properly, the spell will block off the parts of the victim’s memory that the caster doesn’t wish to be there and replaces them with whatever the caster chooses. This usually causes great changes in the victim’s persona. The changes will become permanent if the spell is left on for an extended period of time.

To reverse the spell, the caster must have the victim in a place he/she feels comfortable, then the incantation, ‘Revirement un esprit remaniement’ must be cast upon the victim.

“I found it,” said Snape, breathing a sigh of relief. There wasn’t much there, but it was enough to help Harry.

“What?” said Lupin, putting a book he had been perusing back on the shelf and coming over to Snape.

“There’s a counter-curse. We need to get Harry and take him back to my quarters at Hogwarts. He has a room of his own in there,” said Snape as he pointed out the passage to Lupin.

“Back to Hogwarts now, I presume?” asked Lupin.

“Of course,” said Snape as he marked the page with the piece of parchment and stood up to walk over to the fireplace. They Floo’ed back to Snape’s office.

“Do you still have your map?” asked Snape.

“Yes,” said Lupin as he held up the folded parchment.

“Good, now where’s Harry?” Lupin unfolded the parchment, and then they pored over the it, finally finding Harry outside, near the lake.

“Let’s go get him,” said Snape. They headed out with Lupin keeping one eye on the parchment in case Harry decided to move from where he was.

When they got outside, the sky was just beginning to darken. They needed to hurry, otherwise they would lose Harry in the dark.

“There he is,” said Lupin quietly as they spotted Harry sitting by a tree, staring out at the lake.

“I’m going to have to stun him,” whispered Snape. “We can’t risk getting into a duel with him.” They needed to be careful. If Harry noticed them…. He was dangerous in this state, there was no telling what he could do. They crept over and Snape pulled his wand out.

“Stupefy,” he whispered and Harry fell to the side, unconscious.

~Harry’s POV~

Harry awoke to a pounding headache, but for the first time in days, his head felt clear. He moaned softly as he sat up and surveyed his surroundings.

Oh God, he thought as he found that he was in his room in Snape’s quarters. He covered his face with his hands and stifled a groan as he remembered how he’d treated his father. He’d been horrible to Snape. He couldn’t believe he’d done that.

But he deserved it, whispered a tiny voice. He wouldn’t leave you alone, always nagging--

Stop it, Harry ordered. He’s supposed to do that.

There is such a thing as too much, said the voice.

No, there’s not, not when you’re family, Harry insisted. Stop it.

He buried his face in his hands. How the hell had Malfoy managed to get the best of him?

You disobeyed your father. You tossed his rules aside like they were trash and then went and got yourself in trouble. You say you think so highly of him, yet you disregard his rules in an instant if they stop you from getting your own way.

Dammit, he wanted to deny it, but he knew it was true. He had completely disregarded Snape’s rules, and gotten himself cursed by Malfoy. There was no way around the truth. The predicament he’d gotten into was his fault. His, and his alone. There was no denying that.

Suddenly the door opened and Harry looked up with overly-bright eyes. It was Snape. Harry wanted to curl up and disappear rather than face him.

“Harry,” started Snape as he walked towards him. No, he could not deal with this right now.

“Can you please just leave me alone for a while?” asked Harry in a voice thick with emotion. Snape kept coming closer, though.

“Please,” begged Harry. He didn’t want to break down in front of Snape. Not like this. He didn’t deserve to have Snape put everything aside for him, not after what he’d done.

“As you wish,” said Snape gruffly. He retreated back to the hallway and closed the door gently behind him. Harry stared at the door with sorrowful eyes.

Push them all away and no one can get hurt, whispered the voice. Harry buried his face in his pillows and felt tears streak down his face. Why did life always have to be so hard for him?

~Snape’s POV~

Snape paced back and forth in his study. The spell must still be affecting Harry, judging by the way he’d reacted when he’d checked up on him.

He’d just have to give Harry time. That was all they needed. Harry would be fine, he told himself firmly.

But he feared this was the stressor that would push Harry over the edge again. He sighed and dropped into a leather chair by the fire.

He would do anything to help Harry. But would Harry let him? The way he’d acted, Snape wasn’t so sure he would.

After about an hour of trying to grade the rest of the essays, he gave up and went to check on Harry.

He slowly opened the door and found Harry face down on his bed, fast asleep. He carefully pulled the blankets over Harry, the top-most one of which was the one he’d given Harry so many weeks before.

He jumped back quickly as Harry sighed and shifted in his sleep. Harry rolled over and clutched the blanket to him as though it were a lifeline. Snape backed out of the room and left Harry to sleep.

The next morning, when Snape went to wake Harry up, he found Harry out of bed already, reading a book at his desk. Harry didn’t look up when he heard the door, just continued reading as though his book were the only thing in the world.

“Harry?” said Snape. Harry ignored him and turned another page.

“Harry?” This time Harry did reply, though he didn’t look up from the book.

“Hmmm?”

“I thought you’d like to return to Gryffindor Tower before breakfast,” said Snape.

“Yeah, that would be good,” said Harry as he carefully marked the page in his book and put it down. “Can I go now?”

He sounded eager to leave, a bit too eager, thought Snape. Nonetheless, he couldn’t make Harry stay down here.

“Yes,” said Snape. “You can use the exit from my office.”

He led Harry to the exit and out through it. Harry left his office without so much as a look back.

Time, thought Snape. He had to give Harry time.

~Harry’s POV~

Harry walked upstairs feeling as though he was in a fog. He didn’t understand what was going on with him. It had to be those damned voices. They seemed to be controlling both his mind and body.

At times, he had control, but most of the time, it was them. Like that book. Snape was going to kill him if he knew what he’d been reading.

It wasn’t as thought it was Dark Arts, whispered the voice.

Yes, it was, he thought furiously.

Well, if you’re going to get technical, then we’ll just say it was borderline Dark Arts, conceded the voices.

Borderline, my arse, thought Harry angrily.

Then he was falling, back into the shadows that filled his mind.

Shadows

Something about that stirred his mind into action once more, but mere seconds later, it was gone, and he was trapped once more within the darkness of his mind.

He was forced to watch through his own eyes as he ignored his friends in the Common Room and walked up to the dormitory. He changed and got his books for classes.

Must keep up pretences, said the voices at Harry’s confusion. Yeah, right. They hadn’t bothered to do so before, so why now? What was different this time?

He could see vague images of his father’s concerned face as he waved his wand over him, but couldn’t make out much more than that. He didn’t notice as the voices suddenly left his mind again, nor did he notice as he fell headlong down a flight of stairs…….

He awoke with another headache and whispers all around him.

“….Could have been killed.”

“It’s amazing he wasn’t hurt worse.”

Madam Pomfrey’s pompous voice suddenly broke through the quiet chatter.

“Out, all of you! I have patients to tend to.” There was quiet grumbling, and then receding footsteps.

“I believe it’s time for you to wake up, Mr. Potter,” said Madam Pomfrey.

Harry opened his eyes and sat up. He was immediately handed a goblet full of something foul-smelling.

“Drink it all, then you’re free to go after a bit more rest,” said Madam Pomfrey. Harry gagged slightly as he drank the disgusting concoction.

“There, that wasn’t so bad, now was it?” said Madam Pomfrey as she took the goblet back. “Another half hour of rest and you may go.”

Harry settled back against the pillows, preparing for a half hour of boredom. Though for Harry, that was not meant to be.

The hospital wing doors opened and admitted Snape not minutes after Madam Pomfrey retreated to her office. Snape stood awkwardly by his bed and looked down at him.

“I must apologize,” he said stiffly.

“For what?” asked Harry incredulously. Snape apologizing? Apparently, hell had chosen today to freeze over.

“I should not have let you leave so soon this morning. You should have, at the very least, been examined by Madam Pomfrey before returning to classes. Therefore, it is my fault that you are in here now, and for that, I apologize.”

Harry was stunned by this, he couldn’t remember much of what had happened while the voices were in control, but he had a vague recollection that he’d been unspeakable rude to Snape. If anyone should be apologizing, it should be him.

“You don’t have to apologize for anything,” said Harry. “It was my fault, but there’s these--”

He was suddenly stopped from continuing. He had a strange feeling, like he’d just been jolted with electricity. The same thing he’d felt after Malfoy had tied him up in the Room of Requirement and cast the Cruciatus Curse on him. But after that, the memory was blurred. All he remembered was seeing a jet of light shoot towards him, and then the electrical shock from it.

He stared up with wide eyes at his father. How was it he couldn’t control himself? What had Malfoy done to him? Harry fought for control, but received another shock for his trouble.

“Harry?” questioned Snape. “What were you saying?”

“Nothing,” said Harry quickly.

It wasn’t nothing! He had to tell his father, let him know that it wasn’t him talking! He had to fight this. He couldn’t let the voices take over. He had to fight. He had to keep on fighting. He wouldn’t let Malfoy win.

~Snape’s POV~

Snape grew worried as he saw a determined gleam come into Harry’s eyes. He didn’t like what this spell was doing to Harry. Had the counter-curse even worked? From the way Harry was acting, he didn’t think it had.

Why, though? He had done all the book had said to, yet it hadn’t worked. Damn. He was just going to have to take Harry back to his quarters and try it again.

After a quick discussion with Madam Pomfrey, he returned to Harry’s bedside.

“Come on Harry. We’re going back to my quarters,” said Snape. Harry didn’t move.

“We?” he asked.

“Yes,” said Snape firmly. “We are going to my quarters.”

“And if I don’t want to?” asked Harry.

“Then I shall have to take you by force,” answered Snape.

“Take me by force,” repeated Harry. “Sure, and I’m the Easter Bunny.”

Snape was not amused, though he knew that it wasn’t really Harry speaking.

“You are coming with me. Now let’s go,” said Snape. Harry muttered a few foul comments under his breath, but got up nonetheless.

Snape led the way back to his office while keeping a close watch on Harry in case he decided to try and run off. They entered his office and Snape quickly shut the door behind them.

As he was about to open the secret entrance that led to his quarters, he noticed movement from the corner of his eye.

He turned to find Harry leaned against a wall, his eyes closed and his limbs shaking. He looked like the was going to collapse.

Not wasting time, he grabbed Harry’s arm and led him over to a chair, despite Harry’s feeble protests and attempts to shake him off.

“Harry, what’s wrong?” asked Snape.

“I don’t know,” cried Harry. “I think they’re--” He was cut off as a spasm of pain wracked his body.

“Who?” pressed Snape.

“I can’t tell you,” said Harry. “They won’t let me.”

They.

Snape thought for a minute and decided that they must be part of the spell. He placed his hands on Harry’s shoulders and looked directly in his eyes.

“Listen to me, Harry. Whoever they are, they’re part of a spell Draco Malfoy put on your to control you. They’re making you do all those things and hurting you. I’m going to try the counter-curse again, okay?”

Harry nodded, his emerald eyes wide and fearful. He suddenly gasped and his eyes rolled back into his head. His body went limp in Snape’s arms and he sagged against Snape.

“Shite,” Snape swore. He put an arm around Harry’s shoulders and one under his knees and picked him up. He opened the secret entrance and carefully walked through it.

Rather than go all the way to Harry’s room, he laid Harry down on a large couch and Summoned Harry’s blanket from his room.

He covered Harry with it and began pacing back and forth. He didn’t want to try the spell with Harry unconscious. He had no idea what it was doing to Harry now.

He didn’t like this feeling of helplessness he had. He wanted to be able to do something, anything for Harry. But there wasn’t anything he could do until Harry woke back up.

Harry whimpered softly from the couch and Snape was at his side in an instant, watching to see if he was waking up.

Harry’s face scrunched up and then he cried out as his body jerked violently. His breathing became loud as he convulsed on the couch.

Did this mean the spell was finally coming undone? He began speaking softly, encouraging Harry to fight.

“Come on, Harry. You can do it. Fight the spell. Don’t let them win.”

Tears streaked out of the corners of Harry’s clenched eyes. Snape took hold of Harry’s hands and squeezed tightly.

“I’m here, Harry,” he said softly. “I’m not leaving you.” Harry’s arms shook, but he squeezed back.

“Good, Harry. Stay with me,” said Snape quietly. Harry let out another cry of pain, then settled down. His breathing quieted and his body relaxed.

Harry cracked open pain-weary eyes and uttered one word before passing out again.

“Dad.”

“Thank Merlin,” said Snape softly as he wrapped the blanket around Harry and picked him up again to take him to his bedroom. He laid Harry down carefully on his bed and tucked him in.

As he turned to leave, he noticed the book that Harry had been reading that morning.

The Curses None of Your Teachers Will Teach You, read the title.

Where had Harry gotten this? He flipped it open and saw that it wasn’t one of Hogwarts’ books. Harry must have ordered it through Owl Post, then. He took the book with him and went to his potions lab to collect a few potions for Harry.

Harry would be fine now, he was sure of it.

The End.
End Notes:
Next Chapter: Chapter 15: Untitled As of Yet


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=37