Finding a Father by LilPadfoot16
Past Featured StorySummary: [COMPLETE] What happens when Harry finds out that his father is alive? How about when said father is his hated Potions professor? Harry has to deal with the fact that he is a Snape while trying to cope with Sirus’ death in OotP. Summer before and during sixth year. OotP spoilers. This is in response to Severitus Challenge.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: None
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Suicide Themes, Torture
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 24 Completed: Yes Word count: 97851 Read: 200843 Published: 22 Jan 2005 Updated: 02 Aug 2005
Repercussions by LilPadfoot16
Author's Notes:
This Chapter: Harry and Snape find that the curse has had several repercussions.

Harry awoke feeling groggy and disoriented. He rubbed his forehead and looked around to see where he was.

How had he gotten here, he wondered as he saw that he was in his room in Snape’s quarters. He heard a creak as the door opened, but he didn’t bother looking to see who it was. He had no energy left to move anymore.

“Harry?” It was Snape.

“I’m awake,” yawned Harry as he shifted slightly.

“Good,” said Snape. “How are you feeling?”

“Fine,” said Harry. “What am I doing down here?” Snape looked at him critically.

“You don’t remember?”

“Well, the last thing I remember is that damned-- Oh God, does everyone know about that?”

“Yes, I’m afraid so,” said Snape. “You were saying?”

“After I left the Tower, everything is kind of fuzzy,” said Harry.

“Well, to shorten the story, Draco Malfoy put a spell on you that took away your free will,” said Snape. “You were like that for about a week. The counter curse finally worked.” Harry rubbed at his head again.

“That accounts for this headache, I supposed,” he muttered.

“I’ve got potions,” said Snape, reaching into his robes and drawing out a vial of darkly-colored liquid. He handed it to Harry, who drank it gratefully then Snape looked appraisingly at him.

“What?” asked Harry.

“I’m just ascertaining whether you’ll be needing any of the rest of these potions,” replied Snape.

“Umm, no, I think I’ll be fine for now. My headache’s gone, I’m just a little tired, that’s all,” said Harry.

“Are you sure?” asked Snape.

“Do you enjoy handing out those foul concoctions all the time?” quipped Harry.

“I’d like to see you well and not in need of them,” replied Snape. “And if that means giving you potions, then yes.”

His black-eyed gaze made Harry feel as though there was something he’d done or said to make the man angry.

“Is there anything else I’ve done that I can’t remember?” asked Harry confusedly.

“No, everything is fine. Why do you ask?” asked Snape.

“I don’t know. You’re standing there like I’m a potion about to explode or something, so I think I’ve got a right to ask!” burst Harry.

“Believe me, it’s not something you’ve done,” said Snape, sounding a bit irritated. “Why don’t you get some more rest?”

“But I don’t want to sleep,” protested Harry. “I want to know what’s wrong with you.”

“That is none of your concern,” said Snape. “Now get some rest.” He walked over to the door.

“Call me if you need me,” he said before shutting the door with a snap.

Damn. Snape’s visit had rendered him unable to sleep. His body still felt weary, but his mind was wide-awake and alert. What had the Potions Master on edge? Something had to have happened. And whatever it was, it was bound to be something bad.

He sighed, and with some effort, managed to roll onto his side. He stared at the wall across from him, feeling completely apathetic. Soon, his eyelids began to droop, and then, he was asleep.

When he awoke, the room was dark and hot. He was sweating profusely under the suffocating heat of his blankets. He kicked out weakly and managed to push the blankets down past his legs. The cooler air felt good on his sweaty skin.

It was surprisingly hot in the dungeons, though, even with the blankets off, unless it was just him that was hot. No, it couldn’t just be him.

~Snape’s POV~

Snape woke in the middle of the night with the feeling that something was amiss. He lit his wand and inspected his room carefully, but there was nothing out of the ordinary there. Yet he couldn’t shake that unsettling feeling that something wasn’t right.

He put on his dressing gown and headed down to Harry’s room. He opened the door as quietly as possible and peeked into Harry’s room.

Harry was lying curled up slightly on his side and had somehow managed to kick his blankets to the foot of his bed.

Snape went over to fix the blankets, but when he started to pull them up, Harry mumbled, “No.”

Snape turned and held his wand so he could see Harry clearly. He saw that Harry’s face was flushed and his skin covered in a light sheen of sweat.

“Harry?” questioned Snape worriedly. Harry just moaned softly and dragged an arm up to cover his eyes from the wand light. Snape hesitated for a second then placed his hand on Harry’s shoulder.

“What’s wrong with me?” asked Harry quietly.

“It’s most likely the after-affect of the curse, probably amplified by your attempts to resist it,” said Snape. Well, that was the most probable explanation, anyways.

He released Harry’s shoulder and cast a quick spell on the blankets so that they would help regulate Harry’s temperature, covered Harry with them, and then headed out of the room.

“Where are you going?” croaked Harry.

“To get you some potions,” replied Snape as he made his way out of Harry’s room.

It was odd how the curse had affected Harry, thought Snape. The book hadn’t said anything about that. Well, there was a lot that the book hadn’t told him. Like the seizures Harry had had as the curse was expelled from his body. The delay after he had used the counter-curse on Harry.

He wondered what book that curse had originally come from. Perhaps a store in Knockturn Alley.

That didn’t matter right now, though. What mattered was getting Harry well again.

He reached his laboratory and selected a few potions. He then returned to Harry’s room, where he found Harry staring apathetically at the wall across from him.

“Harry?” said Snape quietly. Harry didn’t respond.

“Harry?” he tried again.

“Mmmm,” mumbled Harry.

“I’ve got potions for you,” said Snape.

Harry extended a hand behind him, but didn’t move any more than that.

“Aren’t you going to sit up?” asked Snape.

“No,” replied Harry. Snape sighed and put the potion in Harry’s hand and closed his fingers around it. Harry brought his arm back around and drank the potion, then handed the vial back, all without moving his body at all.

“Do you want me to leave you to rest?” asked Snape.

Harry made a non-committal noise.

“I’ll just go then,” said Snape.

~Harry’s POV~

Harry rolled onto his back, not caring whether Snape stayed or left. He felt horribly hot and sick, and neither the potion nor the charmed blankets were helping any.

The blankets just felt heavy, like they were smothering him, and he wanted them off, but he couldn’t muster up the strength to move any more.

He soon slipped into sleep, but even that wasn’t a relief to him.

Horrifying visions of silver eyes followed him everywhere, delving into his mind, making him feel so exposed, so helpless. He wasn’t safe anywhere, not even in his own mind. Malfoy had proved that.

He was running, running through a dark forest barefoot. He could feel springy grass under his feet and felt thing branches tear viciously at his skin as he ran.

He couldn’t stop running, though. Something, no someone, was following him. If he stopped they would kill him. He couldn’t stop.

Can’t stop can’t stop.

It became a mantra in his head as he ran.

Can’t stop can’t stop.

The person pursuing him drew nearer. Harry was beginning to tire, but he had to keep going.

Can’t stop can’t stop.

He ran faster, pushing himself to his limit, but the person was even closer now. Suddenly, his foot caught on a branch lying on the ground and he was thrown forward several feet.

No no no no, he thought as he scrambled to his feet. He went crashing back down to the ground, his ankle unable to support him any more.

Shite, he gasped as he clawed at the ground, trying in vain to keep going.

Can’t stop can’t stop.

He had to try and keep going. Then, the soft grass turned needle-sharp. It stabbed viciously through his skin as he struggled. His hands quickly became stained by crimson blood.

No no no no no, his mind screamed as he turned to face his pursuer. He screamed out loud as silver eyes came into focus, only this time, it was Draco and Lucius Malfoy.

They both leveled their wands at Harry, who scrambled backwards, his skin being pierced by hundreds of sharp points.

He stopped, transfixed in horror, as the two incanted “Avada Kedavra,” together and a single beam of twisting green light shot towards him.

He gasped and found himself sitting bolt upright in bed, his hands planted firmly on either side of him, holding himself upright. He had another slight headache, but he felt much better than he had felt before falling asleep.

He eased himself back down and tried to settled his racing heart.

“Good morning, Harry,” said Snape cheerfully as he entered the room and spelled it a bit brighter. He carried a tray with a steaming bowl of something.

Harry immediately began to protest. He wasn’t ready for food yet.

“No, no food, please,” groaned Harry. Snape looked doubtful.

“Are you sure?” he asked.

“Yes, very,” said Harry emphatically. Snape frowned and set the tray on Harry’s desk.

“Perhaps you can eat a bit later,” said Snape as he came over to feel Harry’s head. Harry batted his hands away.

“Merlin, I’m not three years old,” said Harry in annoyance.

“I need to be sure you’re better before letting you leave again,” said Snape.

“I feel fine,” said Harry, who was sure not to mention the headache, which would definitely involve swallowing lots of potions, the way Snape was going off now. He was taking the term overprotective to a new level.

“How many Parenting Potions have you taken today?” asked Harry sarcastically.

“Harry, your well-being is my primary concern, and I have to be sure that you are fully recovered,” said Snape with a touch of annoyance in his voice.

“Well-being? You’re concerned about my well-being?” said Harry loudly. “What about getting rid of that stupid ferret, who so far this year, has managed to only attempt to kill me, bash my head in with a Bludger, and now, attempted kidnapping and that stupid curse. What else does he need to do before he’s expelled or I’m dead?”

“That is completely out of my authority, Harry, as I’ve already told you repeatedly. I can’t control whether Draco Malfoy leaves Hogwarts or gets to stay,” said Snape.

Wait a minute. Something was clicking into place in his over-wrought brain.

“Didn’t he disappear?” asked Harry.

“Yes, but---” started Snape, but he stopped, leaving Harry’s suspicions aroused.

“But what?” growled Harry. “Don’t you dare tell me that he came back and is getting to stay here!”

“Harry, you have to understand that Dumbledore is the one who is in charge of expelling students, and that it is rarely ever done,” said Snape.

Harry had heard enough. He felt well enough for a visit to Dumbledore. He crawled out of bed on the opposite side from Snape.

“What are you doing?” asked Snape.

“I’m going to see Dumbledore,” said Harry.

“No you’re not,” said Snape firmly.

“Yes I am,” shot back Harry.

“You are still recovering, and are going to sty here until you’re completely well,” said Snape.

“I don’t care,” said Harry. “This is more important.”

“No, your health is more important,” said Snape. He stood in front of the door and pulled his wand out. “Don’t make me have to restrain you,” said Snape.

“Want to try?” challenged Harry.

“If I have to, I will,” said Snape firmly.

Damn it all, he knew exactly who would win if they had to duel. Instead, he launched himself at Snape, certain the man wouldn’t know how to deal with Muggle dueling. He was wrong, though.

As soon as he saw what Harry was up to, Snape shoved his wand in his pocket and grabbed Harry. He spun him around and wrapped an arm around Harry’s torso, pinning his arms to his sides.

“You honestly presumed that I would not go through with my threat?” asked Snape.

Harry felt Snape’s wand against his chest and tried to squirm away. The man had a tight hold on him, however, and a whispered charm later, Harry was unable to move his legs at all. Snape picked him up and set him on his bed. Harry glared viciously at the man as he retreated to the doorway.

“That will wear off as soon as I close the door. I think leaving you in here alone ought to work out some of your anger. I will return once you have calmed down,” said Snape.

The instant the door closed behind Snape, Harry jumped out of bed to try the door. When it failed to open for him Harry began stomping back and forth across his room.

He knew he was acting like the obstinate three year old he’d said he wasn’t only minutes before, but he didn’t care. Snape was being entirely unfair to him.

He kicked at his trunk as he passed it, earning himself some sore toes in addition to his headache. He growled under his breath in anger. He had to get out of here.

He snatched his wand up from his bedside table and stalked over to the door. After trying all the unlocking spells he knew, he threw his wand down and kicked the door.

Great, now he had two sore feet. He threw himself down on the floor next to his trunk and glared at the door.

Vicious bastard, he thought. How dare he lock me up like this?

Unless, it wasn’t just his attitude that had gotten him locked up, it was something Snape was doing, something that he wasn’t supposed to know about. Most likely it would be here at Hogwarts, since it wasn’t safe for either of them to go anywhere alone.

Harry opened his trunk and pulled out the Marauder’s Map. It was lucky that Snape had something set up so his trunk would be in his room when he was in it. He picked up his wand from the floor and tapped the parchment with it.

“I solemnly swear that I am up to no good,” said Harry and the map instantly appeared.

He traced over the map with his wand, searching for his dot.

It appeared in a seemingly empty stretch of hallway. Of course the Marauders weren’t likely to have been able to map his dad’s quarters, even though they had held a different occupant then.

He searched around the areas nearest him, where Snape was most likely to be. When he didn’t see him, he started searching the dungeons area, until he stopped on two dots that made him sick with anger.

Draco Malfoy and Severus Snape.

What the hell was Snape doing with Malfoy? He knew what Malfoy had done to him, yet now he was somewhere alone in the dungeons with him! Fuck it all, even his father was a traitor!

Bastard, thought Harry venomously as he wiped the map clean and shoved it back into his trunk.

As he did so, he noticed a glimmer of silver that he hadn’t seen since before his return to Hogwarts. He picked up the dagger and slid it out of it’s sheath.

The blade glinted dangerously, begging to be used. He looked at the door and back to the dagger. It couldn’t hurt to try…………

~Snape’s POV~

Snape glared fiercely at the boy seated across from him in his office. The blonde-haired boy didn’t even flinch.

Desensitized already, thought Snape with disgust.

“Mr. Malfoy, though the Headmaster has generously allowed you to stay here for the remainder of your education, I am your Head of House, and therefore, I will see to any other punishments you may receive, short of expulsion. One more toe out of line though, and I will demand your expulsion. Now, I hear you love the Forbidden Forest. Or would you prefer Greenhouse Eight?”

He smirked at the boy, who looked properly cowed now. He knew he couldn’t have Malfoy expelled, but Malfoy didn’t know that. He could have plenty of fun with the boy’s punishments, though.

“You’d rather not choose? I suppose it’ll be Greenhouse Eight, then,” said Snape. Greenhouse Eight was full of strange plants, including some that would have quite interesting effects, especially on a virile sixteen-year-old boy.

“Report to the Greenhouse at six thirty sharp. I shall know if you are late,” instructed Snape. “Now get out of my sight. I’ll be seeing you more than enough over the next few months.”

Malfoy hurriedly left his office and Snape sat back in his chair with a satisfied smirk. Malfoy would be sure to know the finer points of obeying his teachers by the time his detentions were over.

Though of course, that wouldn’t make up for what he’d done to Harry. At least this would provide some deterrence for Malfoy. As long as he was occupied with his detentions, he couldn’t think of ways to torment Harry.

Speaking of which, he’d better go check on Harry again. He’d seemed better this morning, extremely grouchy and antagonistic. That was probably more vestiges of the curse.

He stood up and headed back to his quarters. When he arrived at Harry’s room, strangely, he found the door ajar.

He opened the door the rest of the way and peered inside. Harry was nowhere in sight. How had he managed to escape? There was supposed to be no way to undo the spell he’s put on the door except by the original caster.

Obviously, Harry had gotten around that somehow. Where was he now? If he came upon Malfoy in the hallways, there was sure to be a confrontation. That was not something he wanted to happen.

He went out to his study and grabbed some Floor powder.

He threw it in the fire and called, “Lupin, a word if you would!” Minutes later, the werewolf came spinning out of the fireplace.

“What do you need, Severus?” asked Lupin.

“I need to borrow your map,” said Snape.

“What for?” asked Lupin curiously.

“Harry’s run off and I need to find him before he finds Malfoy. They’ll probably end up killing each other if they meet up,” said Snape.

“Why did Harry run off, though?” asked Lupin.

“It’s a long story,” said Snape.

“And?” pressed Lupin.

“He was sick last night and I told him he couldn’t leave until he was better,” said Snape.

“Why would that make him want to leave?” asked Lupin.

“I don’t know. He also found out about Malfoy being allowed to stay,” said Snape.

“That would do it, I believe,” said Lupin. “Just give me a moment, the map is in my office.”

He stepped back through the Floo, and in minutes, was back with the parchment.

“Do be sure to return it when you’re finished,” said Lupin before returning to his own office.

Snape unfolded the parchment and found that it had already been activated for him. He searched the many corridors of Hogwarts, finally finding Harry headed down a hallway near his quarters. He must have found the other exit that led down into the dungeons.

Shite, he thought as he remembered that that particular passageway led to the Slytherin Common Room, exactly where Draco Malfoy’s dot was headed. He dropped the map on his desk and headed out to the hallway to try and stop the almost inevitable confrontation.

~Harry’s POV~

Harry walked down the hallway with his wand in hand. He knew he was somewhere near the Slytherin Common Room, and he wanted to be prepared in case he met up with one of them. Especially Malfoy.

He growled softly in his throat as he saw just that Slytherin coming towards him.

“All right there……..Snape?” asked Malfoy with a malevolent smirk.

“What are you doing back, Malfoy?” hissed Harry.

“It seems Malfoys still hold power over the Wizarding World. The Headmaster is letting me stay here,” said Malfoy gleefully. “Just my luck, more chances to get at you.”

“My father won’t let you get away with doing anything to me,” said Harry angrily. Or would he? He couldn’t be sure of anything right now.

“What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him. Look at this Potter, there’s no one around. What a perfect chance to use some more spells I’ve learned on you and not get caught,” said Malfoy. Harry narrowed his eyes at Malfoy.

“You’d get caught. I’ll tell my father,” said Harry.

“Does it look like I care?” asked Malfoy. “Besides, what happened the last time I cursed you? Just how much did you tell your precious father?”

“You wouldn’t dare,” he hissed.

“Oh, I wouldn’t would I?” asked Malfoy. He raised his wand at Harry. “Want to try me?”

Harry leveled his own wand at Malfoy.

“Bring it on.”

Harry knew it was in his best interest to get Malfoy disarmed as quickly as possible, so he opted for using Disarming Hexes first, but Malfoy wasn’t going to play so easy. He launched a large variety of curses at Harry, ones Harry had never even heard of.

Harry ducked and dodged them as best as he could, but one clipped him in the shoulder, flinging him against a wall. Luckily, it wasn’t his wand arm and he jumped to his feet and flung a Blasting Curse at Malfoy, who barely managed to duck out of its path.

Harry and Malfoy volleyed curses, spells, and hexes back and forth for a short while, until Harry spotted Snape stalking towards them. His eyes widened and his concentration on the duel wavered.

He didn’t have enough time to dodge the curse Malfoy shot at him and was slammed into the wall, sending flares of pain shooting through his left shoulder and all down his back. He slumped down to the floor and his wand fell out of his hand.

“Look at that Potter, I win,” said Malfoy gleefully, not noticing the menacing figure in black towering behind him. “Time for fun. Cruc--”

He was stopped from casting the curse because Snape incanted a Stunner. Malfoy fell to the ground, unconscious. Harry blinked his eyes, trying to clear the black spots clouding his vision.

“What……you……”

He shook his head, trying to bring Snape’s words into focus, but he couldn’t seem to do so.

“I…can’t…” he started before passing into unconsciousness.

When he woke up again, he was in the hospital wing.

Great, he thought. And Snape’ll be by in about three seconds to interrogate me about being out if his quarters.

Three…two….one….and the door to the hospital wing opened, admitting Snape.

Harry closed his eyes, feigning sleep. He didn’t want to talk to Snape, not after what he had seen on the Marauder’s Map.

His father had been meeting with Malfoy, of all people! And he had locked him in his room while he was doing it!

One big web of lies, thought Harry bitterly. Everything was one big lie. He heard a quiet scraping as a chair was brought over and Snape sat down next to his bed.

“Harry?”

Harry didn’t respond. What was the use? His father was a traitor.

The End.
End Notes:

There is a chatroom now up for readers of this story. It's available at: http://www.chatzy.com/979224457495

The password is: sevharry, all lowercase letters.

Important Note to Readers: I have started a group on yahoo for everyone to join in on the fun with this story and my other Snape mentoring fic, Forgotten Memories. It's a place for everyone to share theories, chat with other readers, get spoilers and updates from me, and just to generally have fun.

It's available at: http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/findingafatherandforgottenmemoriesgroup

Have fun!

Coming Next Sunday: Chapter 16: No Title Yet



This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=37