No Bed of Roses by Lady Connor
Summary: Harry met Holly when she was two - abandoned in the park by her mother. Unable to leave her alone, he stayed behind to keep her safe. Over the years, they became as inseparable as brother and sister.
When Harry found out he was a wizard, he was happy to find that Holly was a witch too, and one day, she would enter his new world with him.

Finding out he was a father to a nine-year-old girl, Severus Snape didn't hesitate to bring her home. His daughter belonged by his side, after all. Finding his daughter preferred Harry Potter over him was a travesty the Potions Master was not going to tolerate.

Somehow, Severus had to make his daughter see Harry Potter as he did - worthless, useless, hopeless.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Eileen Prince, Hermione, Lucius, Narcissa, Original Character, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape's a Bully, Snape Comforts, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Emotional Abuse, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: No Word count: 250666 Read: 81524 Published: 10 Aug 2021 Updated: 25 Feb 2024
Never a Rose without the Prick by Lady Connor
Author's Notes:
Before anyone reads this next nice, long chapter, I would like to add a brief comment about the conversation that will come up regarding the exchange rate.
JK has already admitted that she is bad at maths – and to be fair, I’m no great shake at it either; however, I have plans to use my version of the pound sterling to galleon exchange rate.
I’ve probably made It more complicated for myself than I need to, and I’ll admit that’s quite normal for me, lol.
My exchange of £69.13 to G1 is based on the weight of a pound coin in 1995 multiplied by the price of gold in the same. No one has to agree to it, but it’s the one I’ll be using.
Chapter 15 - Never a Rose Without the Prick

 

The walk down to the dungeons with Lucius Malfoy is uneasy. Minerva McGonagall has always thought the other had more smarm than charm but never felt he truly cared about doing the job as a school board governor should. He never cared for the students—just outdated ideals. As a governor, he was interfering and meddlesome until he was sacked.                

The wizarding world has fallen woefully behind the muggle one. Albus wanted to update the Muggle Studies curriculum and the History of Magic, but Lucius and his acquaintances had blocked Albus at every turn when he tried to reform the school ways. Worse, when he tried to have classes available to teach the traditional ways, the governors, Purebloods, every one of them, refused to allow the old ways to be taught, citing their children would be educated in such matters at home.

Rotten, elite Purebloods: progression for the sake of progression has been halted, but they won’t allow muggle-borns to integrate into their new world either. She laments, briefly, the loss of a brilliant mind such as Hermione Granger, should she ever decide she cannot reside in the Magical world after she completes her education. Miss Granger is a bright, determined and stubborn witch with such great potential; yet, even she would tire of banging her head against a brick wall that is the Pureblood privilege.

Working with Lucius Malfoy would be an onerous task, though she shudders at the thought of the odious Delores Umbridge, the Minister’s original choice. Caught between Scylla and Charybdis.

“Feeling a chill, Professor McGonagall?” Lucius queries politely. “Or is it, perhaps, the company?”

Minerva wishes she could scratch the smirk off his face. She boldly states, unwilling to back down from Lucius Malfoy, “The company, for certain.”

She is treated to a rare look of surprise from the other wizard, who then smoothes his expression back into his detestable smirk. Perhaps he expected her to deny it.

“Have you come to visit Severus or his daughter?” Minerva asks. Against her will, she has become fond of the little child in the week the girl has been at Hogwarts. Not that Minerva dislikes children, or because she is Severus’ daughter either, though it certainly came as a shock to the animagus that the Potions Master has a child. Then, she reminds herself that Severus Snape is notoriously private.

Minerva initially held her distance because of the girl’s easy familiarity with Lucius. Draco Malfoy has nothing of the so-called charm either of his parents has, but he does have their sense of entitlement. Minerva’s upbringing was in a remote village where everyone pitched in.  Hard work and determination were bred into her from a young age. Everything she has made, she has done under her power. Her accolades, titles, and accomplishments have been earned, not handed down to her through family connections.

The only good thing she can say about Lucius is that, unlike his son, he never had to remind anyone he was a Malfoy. Should the Malfoys ever lose their fortune, Draco would be in for a rude shock if he had to work for a living. Neither his parents nor Severus are granting him any favours by sheltering him from the world outside.

Her initial assumption that Holly was of the same character as Draco was erroneous. Despite her likeness to Severus, the little girl shines with sincerity and earnestness, surprising the rest of the staff. Indeed, how she managed to tame the curmudgeon Argus Filch and his foul feline, Mrs Norris, was astonishing.

Bizarrely, the only person Holly shied away from was her father. Albus is tight-lipped about the reason, but Minerva is certain her old friend knows more than he lets on.

“Holly,” Lucius admits with a softening in his expression.

The child certainly has the elder Malfoy wrapped around her fingers. Despite living with four Slytherins, Minerva has detected no artifice in Holly. Could be five, she silently corrects, as she knows nothing about Holly’s mother.

“I thought perhaps she would like to go outside,” Lucius continues. “She was curious about -”

What exactly Holly was curious about, Minerva never found out, for she shushed him, startling him once again.

Minerva holds her hand up to quiet him as he tries to speak. Finally catching on that she sensed something off, they both palm their wands as the woman listens carefully.

Mmrow, comes the faint mewing from Mrs Norris, padding from the corridor leading from Argus’ office.

Lucius relaxes, seeing the cat. On the other hand, Minerva recognises the signs of distress from the feline and snaps, “Lead me.”

Mrs Norris turns away, dashing away, confident help is found. Minerva pauses long enough to tuck away her wand before transforming into her tabby and speeding behind the other cat. Mrs Norris leads them further into the dungeons.

They are each on each other’s heels; Minerva distantly takes in Argus’ shouted alarm as both cats rush past, followed quickly by Lucius.

Mrs Norris leads them into an older, disused part of the dungeons. It is so dark that even Minerva doesn't immediately see anything with her enhanced sight in her feline form.

First, her eyes land on the huddled outline of Holly on the ground. What she sees next confuses her enough to freeze.

“Potter!” Argus shouts, perplexed.

“Riddikulus!” Lucius snaps out. The shape of the boggart changes.

Minerva vaguely pays attention to see it is Voldemort, threatening Lucius’ sense of well-being, but she concentrates on the petrified child instead. She transforms back into her natural form, removes her cloak and drapes it over the trembling form of Holly.

She watches Lucius magically wrestle the Boggarts back into the open wardrobe it must have come out of.

 

ooOoo

Lucius’ eyes soften as he turns back to Holly, shaking and trembling in Minerva’s arms. After ensuring the wardrobe is locked, the boggart will come in handy for a practical lesson; he strides back to where the duo is huddled.

Filch still stands at the threshold, looking puzzled as hell. He looks like he’s about to launch into questions, but a look from Minerva stops him short.

Lucius kneels on one knee, reaching out for the child.

“Holly, darling?”

She launches herself at him the moment he touches her. Her body wracks with sobs against his, and he tightens his arms around her protectively. Gathering the cloak around her shivering body, he picks her up, still holding her close.

“That wasn’t him,” he tells her calmly when she quiets a little, though he knows the other two are listening carefully.

“I know,” she sniffles, but she still clings to him.

Looking between Flich and Minerva, Lucius finds himself in the rare struggle of wondering how to phrase his request.

Minerva seems to understand his plight, for she whispers, “Perhaps you better take her back to her room.”

Despite her willingness not to question him right then, the look in her eyes promises him a quest for answers. Filch eyes them both quietly but lets them pass without issue.

Holly’s occasional sniffle breaks the silent walk back to Severus’ quarters. Even the squib’s cat pads along quietly.

Filch and Mrs Norris break off to head back to his office, while Minerva follows Lucius to the entrance to Severus’ quarters, knocks on the door firmly, and leaves with a gentle caress of Holly’s head and a silent threat to the blonde man with a look laden with meaning.

“Lucius?”

The wizard in question turns at the sound of Severus’ voice. He belatedly remembers that Severus is helping Poppy brew various potions to stock up the Hospital wing.

Seeing Lucius carrying his daughter protectively, Severus strides forward in alarm.

“What happened?” he demands. He reaches forward to take Holly from Lucius but aborts the attempt in fear of rejection. His features twist painfully.

Lucius tightens his arms more securely around the curiously silent child, feeling strangely reluctant to give her up.

“Boggart,” he states quietly, without further explanation.

“Go inside,” Severus tells him just as quietly. “I must go speak to Poppy. I’ll be back.”

The Potions Master lets them into his quarters. Lucius enters with Holly still bundled in his arms, settling himself in one of the armchairs and arranging the girl comfortably against him, ensuring she is wrapped tightly in Minerva’s borrowed cloak. Once settled, he lights a fire, watching the fireplace flare with orange flames, gently running his hands up and down Holly’s skinny arm in a feeble attempt to calm her frantic heart.

“Do you want to tell me about it, darling?” he prompts when the silence lengthens.

She doesn’t speak, though there is a slight movement that could be the shrugging of her shoulders.

Suppressing a sigh, he calls for Severus’ House-Elf, “Setty. Bring us tea and hot chocolate.”

Order completed, the Elf disappears with a wary nod. Usually, the House-Elves were more eager to please, but Lucius found them to be circumspect within his presence. He put it down to Dumbledore being cautious, and thought no more of the matter.

Setty pops back into the sitting room, a tea tray crammed with steaming cups and all manner of cakes and biscuits.

Lucius reaches across, carefully holding onto the bundle in his arms, for the mug of hot chocolate.

He presses it in her hands and coaxes her into taking sips of the hot drink as he hears Severus enter the room. Lucius looks up, still holding the mug for Holly, even though she has wrapped her hands around it for warmth.

Poppy has followed the Potions Master, her wand already out. Lucius catches the approving look Poppy gives the mug of hot chocolate and the docile Holly, who takes careful sips.

“Are you going to make me drink yucky potions?” she whispers to Poppy, a look of dismay and betrayal aimed at Severus. Lucius finds his lips twitching at the sight, despite the situation.

“No, love,” Poppy assures her, leaning over the girl. “Don’t worry, keep drinking your hot chocolate.”

Holly takes a few more sips of the drink before pushing it away. After completing her diagnostics, Poppy takes the mug from Lucius and settles into the armchair next to Severus’, taking the cup of tea the Potions Master has poured for her.

Holly leans her head back against Lucius’ chest as he absently strokes her hair, loosened from the ponytail she usually wears. Severus stares at the cup intently. He so desperately wishes he could help his friend connect with his daughter: Holly has undoubtedly inherited the ability to hold a grudge, same as her father, and that flaw was one of the few things about his friend that he could not get adjusted.

Sensing Lucius’ eyes on him, Severus switches his gaze to the blond. He knows he will have to explain more to Severus about the boggart at some point. The Potions Master, as yet, is still unaware of Harry Potter’s presence and influence on his daughter’s life. Holly has had some near slips all summer, though none in Severus’ presence, miraculously. Keeping secrets when it matters also seems to be another trait the child has inherited; still, this cannot be hidden indefinitely. Holly spends a lot of time with Potter’s owl, something that annoys Artemis to no end. It won’t be long before Severus, the inquisitive man that he is, starts wondering why his daughter is so well acquainted with that particular owl.

Lucius is also extremely curious as to why Holly fears Potter when she adores the boy more than anyone else in the world. Next time he is alone with her, he will have to cajole the reason from her.

“How many potions do you have left to brew?” Lucius asks to fill the silence.

Poppy can brew the potions herself, being more than qualified in her position as a medi-witch. Severus is the better brewer, without doubt, and they often work together to brew the stock of potions for the Hospital Wing, as it is more efficient with the two of them. Lucius observed them yesterday: they make a great team, where trust rules. The blond was astonished to see that Severus didn’t check the ingredients as Poppy passed them to him, relying on her enough to use what he was handed without criticism. That spoke volumes about their relationship.

Holly slowly relaxes over the next hour or so as they converse in low tones, but Severus’ eyes rarely leave his daughter, the concern etched clearly in his face.

Poppy leaves early to go back to brewing.

“I should go back to helping Poppy with the potions,” Severus says reluctantly, eventually dragging himself up from his chair. Holy’s timid voice, however, makes him freeze on the spot in surprise.

“Can I go with you?”

Severus looks startled by the question, but immediately schools his expression to hide it, agreeing instantly.

Lucius is happy for the other wizard, though he wonders what Holly’s change is due to and whether the boggart turning in Potter had anything to do with it. The girl slowly moves from Lucius’ lap, standing before him.

“Thank you for saving me,” she turns around and kisses his cheek in gratitude.

Lucius smiles back at her, heart filling with a joy he doesn’t feel except when together with his family.

They walk out of Severus’ chambers together. The Potion Master moves his hand to place it around her shoulders but is surprised once more when she puts her hand in it instead. Lucius holds back his smirk at the sappy look Severus fails to hide quick enough.

Neither wizard fails to notice her anxious glance towards the deeper part of the dungeons. Bidding them farewell, Lucius waits until they enter the Potions lab where Severus and Poppy are brewing before turning around and heading back to the room where the Boggart was found.

Lucius decides to return and remove the Boggart, wardrobe and all, to one of the classrooms he will be using for the lower years immediately. Striding down the corridor, he sees Filch already standing outside the room with his fiendish cat. He refrains from pointing out that there was no need for the squib to stand guard but only gave the other man a nod of acknowledgement.

“How is she?” Filch enquiries gruffly, pushing himself away from the wall and uncrossing his arms.

“She is resilient,” Lucius answers quietly. “Still a little quiet, but she’s followed Severus to the Potions Lab,”          

There’s no harm in indulging the squib. Severus has kept on the caretaker’s good side, and it would be prudent for Lucius to do the same.

“Are you taking this one away?”               

“Yes,” Lucius replies, moving into the room, wand out.

Filch follows him but stays at the threshold. Lucius spells the wardrobe, the Boggart thumping away inside, with a stronger Locking Ward and Silencing Ward.

“I’ll do another sweep of the lower dungeons,” Filch informs Lucius, “just in case there are more.”

About to ask how Filch will handle it without magic, Lucius stops himself in time, not wanting to insult the man.

“That would be helpful,” he says instead.

He levitates the wardrobe and walks out of the dungeons until he reaches the classroom he has designated for lower years. Storing it there, he makes sure the room is also securely locked before he exits.

He returns to his private chambers, taking a plush chair in front of his fireplace, thinking about Holly’s Boggart. Though he admits he doesn’t know Potter all that well, he has learned enough that the boy has been loving and protective of the young girl over the past several weeks. Whatever turned the Boggart into Holly’s fear is more to do with her own insecurity rather than something the boy has done - Lucius is sure of that.

He doesn’t realise that he’s sat there for several hours, fingers steepled, until a knock jolts him from his thoughts. Looking up, he sees it is late evening, and he has missed dinner in the staffroom.

Dumbledore prefers that they all have dinner together, if possible, but breakfast and lunch could be spent wherever they prefer. Another of the Headmaster’s famous tricks to grow, or at least show, the solid unity between the professors, even from different Houses.

With a weary sigh, he lifts himself from the chair to open his door. He is not surprised to see Minerva and Filch there together.

“May we enter?” the Transfiguration professor asks imperiously.

Silently, Lucius steps aside to allow them entry.

“Take a seat,” he gestures to the empty seats. “Care for a drink?”

“Won’t say no to that,” Filch agrees in a rough voice.

Lucius walks towards his liquor cabinet, specially selected for evenings when teaching has become too much. He did not expect the need to crack open a bottle before classes even began.

Selecting a good vintage, perhaps because he wants to impress the Scottish witch in his rooms (Severus warned him that Minerva was very discerning about her hard liquor), he picks up three tumblers and walks back to his chair.

Silently, his guests wait for him to open the bottle and pour the amber liquid into a glass; the only sound is the crackling of the fire and the glug, glug, glug of the whiskey being poured.

With hidden amusement, Lucius watches his guests thoroughly examine the whiskey, not entirely out of mistrust, before they each take a cautious sip, only after he takes a sip from his tumbler first.

“I cannot tell you everything,” he begins eventually, anticipating the question he will be asked in a few moments. He has given this great thought since the Boggart incident early this afternoon. “It is not my secret to reveal.”

He will not tell them about Eileen, not when Severus doesn’t even know about his mother. Releasing a deep sigh, he launches into a carefully condensed version of the story they need to know for now. He tells them about Severus and Jasmine’s acrimonious breakup, though not the full extent, outlining Tobias’ initial involvement and his subsequent change of… something at meeting his granddaughter for the first time. He also briefly explains Holly’s tumultuous relationship with Severus without going into detail to avoid flaunting the severe trust issues the two are facing.

He describes Jasmine’s abuse and neglect of her daughter and how the child’s grandmother took custody upon her mother’s passing. Lastly, he explains what he knows of Potter’s relationship with Holly, her grandmother, and Regulus’s involvement over the summer.

Silence descends once more as his guests absorb the information he imparted.

“So, Severus has no clue about Harry’s relationship with his daughter?” Minerva clarifies, and Lucius shakes his head in desolate confirmation.

“How?” Filch asks, leaning forward.

Reluctantly, he admits: “Severus and Holly’s relationship only recently began to improve. She does not trust him, given his absence from her life since her birth.” He pauses for a moment, then decides to add: “She… she blames him for the death of her mother, and for the violence she suffered.”

Not to mention letters from Potter which did not describe Severus (or Draco) positively. Lucius did notice that midway through the boy’s third year, Potter stopped complaining about Severus entirely. This tallied with Regulus’ information of Potter finding out about Eileen’s identity and her relation to the Potions Master. Lucius could admit to being impressed by the boy’s ingenuity in researching using Daily Prophet articles. For the same reason, Lucius had removed the historical editions from his library when Holly began reading books on the Dark Lord’s first rise.

“Why was the girl afraid of Potter? Potter wouldn’t harm anyone,” Filch questions gruffly.

Minerva levels the squib with a look of surprise.

“I was unaware you and Potter were on good terms,” Minerva tells him. “Especially after the petrifaction of your cat.”

Lucius tenses in his seat, unnoticed by the other two. He recalls Draco’s gloating letter at the time informing him no mudbloods were hurt, just the cat that had been found Petrified. Draco hadn’t known of his father’s involvement: the boy was no good at being discreet and would not have been able to resist showing off his knowledge. Case in point, Draco’s letters home detailed each person who had succumbed to the Basilisk’s muted gaze. He could not deny his satisfaction when Draco wrote of Granger’s hospitalisation at the time. She was a Mudblood and Potter’s friend to boot.

He hides his feelings behind his Occlumency shields and focuses on Filch.

Not looking either in the eye, Filch answers, “The boy came and apologised at the beginning of his third year, even though he wasn’t involved. He said he knew a woman who was a… a squib, who lived close to him. He grew up ignorant about the Magical World, didn’t even know there was a word for people like me.”

Lucius masks his expression at the caretaker’s bitterness. Filch has been around for decades, his lingering presence in the hallways when Lucius was still a student, though the squib had been beneath his notice for his lack of magic. He had been a popular student back then, a member of the Slug Club and a Quidditch star and model pupil. He was too good to be caught doing any wrongdoing he might have been involved in.

“He came back with a treat for Mrs Norris and a gift for me. Despite everything, he… he’s a good lad. Any detentions Professor Snape gives him, he does them without grumbling or moaning as the other students do. And he does a good job and all. Not a shirker, that boy. He’s a good lad,” Filch repeats. “Wouldn't harm anyone.”

“I’m glad you hold Mr Potter in high esteem,” Minerva smiles. She turns back to Lucius, “I agree with Argus’ assessment. Harry is loyal and kind, much like his mother.”

Lucius has to consciously stop his lip from curling at the mention of Potter’s mother. The bitch had abandoned Severus, despite everything the man had sacrificed for her. Not so loyal, in his opinion.

“I defer to your judgement,” Lucius concedes with a nod and refills everyone’s glasses. “I do not know why Holly’s fear is Potter. She knows best why the Boggart took on that apparition.”

“How long do you think you will be able to keep Holly’s secret, Lucius?”

“Not long,” he confesses. “Severus intends to send Holly back to Narcissa once term begins. Regulus is working on Potter's behalf to ensure they will spend Christmas together. So, we only have until then to keep quiet.”

“We?” Minerva arches a brow at him.

“Indeed, my dear lady,” Lucius smirks, raising his glass in cheers. “You are both complicit in this now.”

 Minerva tuts but downs her whiskey in one go. “Morgana help us, lad.”

Lucius refuses to admit as they leave an hour later that he might have enjoyed the evening with a squib and the cat animagus, especially as they skirted around the topic of his own Boggart.

 

ooOoo

Harry listens in silence as the Weasley siblings express their anger at hearing Lucius Malfoy will be their new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher within a week.

Harry, Luna, Neville and Hermione can only listen in uneasy silence, knowing this is a family matter. Out of the four, Hermione is the most vocal in her displeasure, alongside the Weasleys. Harry knows even their parents are unhappy with Dumbledore’s decision to allow the elder Malfoy in a position of authority.

All the Weasley brothers hover protectively over Ginny, who fumes quietly. Harry knows they spent some of that prize money after her first year finding a good Mind Healer for Ginny to help her come to terms with what happened to her. Though they are less frequent now, Ginny still has the occasional nightmare, according to Ron.

Alternating between raging at Dumbledore and Malfoy, the Weasleys eventually settle into a sullen silence.

“Bet Malfoy is laughing right now,” Ron complains bitterly. “Between Snape and his dad, he’s going to be strutting through the corridors like he owns the place. Just watch: between them, everyone but Slytherin will lose house points and get enough detention for the rest of the year. Like Malfoy’s going to teach us anything useful, anyway. He’ll be teaching all of us nothing and all the Death Eaters in training all sorts of Dark Arts in secret.”

 No one has words to argue against this, except for Harry, who wishes he could dispute his friend’s remarks. He has known for several weeks now about Lucius’ teaching position, and though he has no doubt his friends will be angry he kept this from them, he had to, only for Holly’s sake. He knows it has been cowardly to do so, but he doesn’t regret the decision.

“Bloody Death Eater. Bet he’s not even changed sides,” Fred grumbles. “He’s probably pretending to go against You-Know-Who while trying to get information from Dumbledore.”

“Or he’s just on his own side,” George agrees grimly. “If he’s switched once, he can just as easily switch again.”

“Any of that could be true. Or none of that could be true,” Hermione points out heavily, though she doesn’t look like she disagrees with any of them. “No one should spend time alone with him. And if he’s not going to teach us, then we should teach ourselves. We did that last year when Harry was preparing for the Tournament.”

Her voice falters as she gives her best friend a hesitant look. “You’ll teach us, won’t you, Harry?” Hermione implores.

“Yeah,” Ron jumps on this enthusiastically. “Last year, we helped you learn how to cast those spells by being your dummies. This year you can help us cast them instead.”

“I wouldn’t mind learning the Patronus,” Fred smiles, his arm still around Ginny.

Caving under a combination of guilt and pressure, Harry cautiously agrees, his heart clenched in a vice grip of nervousness at the anxiety of not being up to the task.

“I’m not sure how good I’ll be as a teacher, though,” he indeed stammers, trying to manage their expectations.

“You’ll be fine,” Hermione waves off with a huge smile. “Besides, it’ll be good revision for all of us, I suppose. With it being OWL year. And Fred and George will be sitting their NEWTs this year.”

“Hermione,” Ron groans, shaking his head ruefully.

“You just had to slip that in there,” Neville snorts with an amused smile.

“Exams are important,” Hermione insists.

Then all the voices blend together in Harry’s ears when Ginny looks at him with an intense fire burning in her eyes and says, “Thanks, Harry.”

Harry nods. He would help Ginny.

 

ooOoo

 

In the coming days, Severus has to work hard to stop himself from walking around with a smile on his face. Since the incident with the Boggart, about which both Holly and Lucius have maintained the utmost secrecy (so he doesn’t know what his daughter was traumatised by), Holly has been… clingy. She never wanders the corridors in the dungeons alone, so Argus steps in and walks around with her when he can. Lucius continues to spend an hour or so with her in the evening after dinner, as they had at Malfoy Manor; again, neither see fit to include Severus in those invitations - much to his annoyance. He suspects it’s the same as what they were doing at Malfoy Manor, though neither will confirm.

Though Holly still prefers the company of others where possible, she no longer shies away from him. He was even allowed to tuck her into bed on the night of the Boggart incident.

Today, she even asked to accompany him and Pomona into the Forbidden Forest to collect some ingredients for his stocks. His first impulsively protective instinct had been to say no. It would be dangerous. But then, he reasoned as he looked at her expectant face, they didn’t need to venture too far in. Besides, he and Pomona entered the Forest all the time for flora. They were both competent with their wands. Holly would be safe with them.

Things were finally looking up for Severus. It was difficult for him not to push, but he always made an effort to spend as much time as possible with her. He still has potions to brew and order stock to replace what he has used in his potions, but otherwise, he has caught up with everything else, which should allow him to get even closer to Holly before the start of the term.

Entering his quarters, he makes a beeline for her room and knocks.

“Holly, are you ready?” he asks as she calls for him to enter.

“All ready,” she replies brightly, presenting herself in front of him for inspection. Severus shakes his head, eyeing the light clothes she is wearing, which don’t suit the damp, freezing weather of the Forest.

“You need a jacket,” he states immediately, then steps towards the wardrobe.

Opening it, he is confused to see it empty, as is the one next to it. Inspecting the drawers, he finds them bare as well.

“Where are your clothes?” he asks with confusion. Surely, they can’t all be in the wash already.

Whirling around, he sees she is digging deep into her suitcase - presumably for her jacket. Having dragged it out from the depths of her luggage, she slips her arms into the sleeves.

“Why haven’t you unpacked?” he asks with a frown. They have been here for a week and a half now, so why are her things still in her suitcase?

“What’s the point? You’re sending me away in a few days anyway. I didn’t want to unpack and then pack it all back up again,” she replies sarcastically, her previous belligerence bleeding through.

Severus is stunned at her response. He makes to open his mouth to argue the point but shuts it almost straight away. He kneels before her and zips up her jacket in subdued silence. Then standing up, he places his hand on her shoulder and guides her out.

“Come on,” he says, “Professor Sprout is waiting for us outside the greenhouses.”

Severus picks up the satchel he needs for the plants he intends to bring back, and they walk out together, the silence stifling. Almost as if they have argued. He doesn’t understand why it bothers him that her wardrobes are empty. Really, he can’t fault her logic of not wanting to unpack for two weeks. The days have passed quickly, and only a few remain before Holly must go back. However… he will miss her. It’ll be weeks before he’ll see her again, perhaps even a month. He has duties here – a House to look after.

His thoughts are interrupted when Holly runs ahead at the entrance upon seeing Lucius.

Hugging the blond as if she’s not seen him for weeks instead of breakfast that morning, she asks: “What are you doing here, Uncle Luc?”

“I came to spend time with my favourite goddaughter,” he says, picking her up and holding her tight.

“Goddaughter?” Severus drawls to distract himself from his disconcerting thoughts. “I wasn’t aware I bestowed you with that honour. Or that anyone else had.”

“You haven’t,” Lucius replies archly. Then proceeding to ignore the other part of Severus' words, continues, “But you had better rectify that soon, friend. When you die, this little darling will live with Narcissa and me.”

The Potions Master jumps on the word. “When?”

“When,” Lucius repeats firmly.

Holly giggles.

“You can’t poison him,” she pipes up. “He’s a Potions Master. He’d certainly know about poisons and antidotes.”

Severus doesn’t know if he should be pleased that his daughter is confident in his abilities as a Potions Master or alarmed that she has given his death some thought.

“No, indeed,” Lucius agrees seriously. “Poisons are very risky.”

“I wanted to poison some people once,” Holly continues, “but Oma said no.”       

 Upon hearing these words, both Lucius and Severus pay attention to what the girl has to say.

“Who did you want to poison, darling?” Lucius asks gently, still holding Holly in his arms as they head towards the greenhouses.

“Some people who would have deserved it,” she replies harshly, with a bitter expression that agitates Severus.

Lucius tries to coax more information from Holly, but she clams up tighter than a goblin’s vault, so he has nothing left to do but give up and try a new strategy later.

Pomona is waiting for them outside the greenhouse.

“Are you coming with us, Lucius?” Severus asks.

“I thought I might join,” the blond replies. “I have completed all my tasks and have the last few days free. I thought I’d spend time with my little sweetheart whilst I have a chance.”

Holly beams up at the Malfoy patriarch, though the words send a sharp pain through Severus’ heart. Lucius unknowingly hit on the same topic that distressed the Potion Master upon seeing Holly’s empty wardrobe.

“You’re going to join us in the Forest? Really?” Holly says cheekily. “Won’t your shoes get dirty?”

Severus and Pomona let out a single snort of laughter.

“Brat,” Lucius comments fondly. “I can charm them clean after.”

Holly giggles and slaps his hands playfully away from her when he reaches out to pinch her cheeks.

“Let’s go, Holly, love,” Pomona beckons. She has her satchel slung over her shoulder and is already inside for spare dragonhide gloves. “Put these on.”

Severus is glad he’s behind everyone, so none of them sees the flush on his cheeks. He should have brought extra gloves for Holly. Even though he does not intend for her to handle any ingredients, he should have still thought about protection. Children are curious creatures, after all.

“Did you bring some gloves, Lucius, or do you need a pair too? I always carry spares,” Pomona inquires, already digging into her satchel for the extras.

“No need, madam,” the blond replies. “I have brought my own.”

“What are we collecting?” Holly asks curiously, already putting on her gloves.

“Well, love, first we’re going to start at the edge of the Lake for some of the weeds that grow there,” Pomona launches into a lecture on various weeds that grow around a lake’s edge while Holly listens with rapt attention.

Severus marvels (and envies) at the ease with which others use terms of endearment. Lucius and Narcissa call Holly ‘darling’, and Albus calls her ‘dear’ though he usually uses those words for everyone. Pomona, Minerva and various other teachers who have become fond of his child over the past week and a half have a pet name for her. Even Argus refers to her affectionately as ‘lass’.

His thoughts turn to his father, Tobias, who did not take long to call her petal or flower, even in the letters he exchanges with his granddaughter – seriously, how is the man getting hold of an owl?

 Such terms of endearment feel awkward rolling from Severus’ tongue. He has never had a pet name for anyone, not the few friends he has, not his students - not unless one would agree that terms such as ‘dunderhead’, ‘spoiled brat’ and ‘idiot’ could be classed as endearments. They wouldn’t – especially in the offensive tones Severus quite often uses.

Severus has never been an openly affectionate person, either physically or verbally. Nevertheless, he should be able to converse, at least with his own daughter, as easily as Lucius does. He has never envied his friend’s ability to charm people so easily, not until he found out about his daughter.

He lets Pomona give the lecture on safety in the Forest.

“Now, lovey, make sure you stick close by,” Pomona instructs the girl strictly as they stop at the edge of the Forest.

“Yes, Professor,” she agrees.

Pomona pulls out two parchments with several plants drawn on them. Handing them to Lucius and Holly, she tells them, “These are the plants we are looking for. When you see them, be sure to call for either me or Severus.”

As they stop at the lake's edge, Severus reaches into his satchel and retrieves a pair of scissors and a small wicker basket, handing both to Lucius. Then he goes into his satchel once more for a pair of scissors for himself.

Pomona designates them all an area. Holly follows the Herbology professor first before flitting around them. Severus lets her happy chatter wash over him, finding he has to stop himself from smiling too often.

Holly still speaks more to other professors than she does to him. They still get her sweet smiles and pleasing giggles. She doesn’t shy away from touching them and hugging them. Severus has none of this yet - no giggles or smiles or hugs. But he is happy that he is no longer subjected to sullen silences, flinty glares, or grudging answers. It’s a start. He has more hope for a better relationship with his daughter than he has had all summer. He wishes he had come to Hogwarts sooner with Holly.

Although, he has to guiltily admit that the change has come from her encounter with the Boggart. Whatever scared her has driven her to behave better with Severus, and as much as he hates that she was confronted with that kind of creature at such a young age, he cannot deny the good it has done to their relationship. He banishes that guilt to the back of his mind, raising his mental barriers high behind it.

 

ooOoo

 

Holly drinks from the bottle of water Professor Sprout pulls out of her bag, grateful for the drink. Collecting ingredients is thirsty work, but then she finds herself running between three different people who are far apart from each other so they can pick from their own patch but close enough for them to keep an eye on her. None of them let her out of their sight, especially as they burrow deeper into the Forest.

Harry has told her about the Forbidden Forest, mentioning that it’s full of unicorns, centaurs, giant spiders and all manner of creatures. She wants to see a unicorn. Harry saw one in his first year once. He said it was dead because someone bad killed it. He also told her that she should never go into the Forest, no matter what. But she was with three teachers now, giving them each a look of guilt. It should be okay. Harry would understand. As long as she stayed with them, she would be safe.

As she held a basket for Professor Sprout, she thought about how else she could make Professor Snape realise she needed to stay at Hogwarts. Seeing that boggart thing had scared her. The things it said. She held back a shudder. She recognises the Professor would only send her away if she keeps being nasty to him, even if she believes he deserves it. But it has been nice between them the last few days.

If she can’t convince the Professor to allow her to stay, she won’t see Harry until Christmas. But if she got to stay, then she would see Harry in a few days! She would need to spend more time with the Professor. Maybe even call him dad. That will soften him up.

Oma always acted soft when Harry called her ‘Oma’. He could get away with anything when he did that. Not that he ever did anything that would make Oma angry. Harry was perfect.

“Holly, love,” Professor Sprout calls for attention.

“Yes, Professor?” she replies, smiling at the dirt-covered lady.

“Why don’t you go over to your dad and swap his full basket for an empty one. He looks ready to cut start cutting down the Enchanter’s Nightshade.”

“Yes, Professor,” she smiles at the other woman and takes the empty basket over to her… to the Professor. She still can’t call him dad, even in her own head.

Uncle Lucius is still collecting the Foxglove, which she’s not allowed to touch, even though she’s wearing gloves. She’s distracted by a flash of white. The Professor has his back to her, so he doesn’t see Holly move away from his as she steps away from the path for a closer look at whatever it is she sees.

Holly sneaks several looks back guiltily, knowing she should stay close. Still, she won’t go far, she reasons. She tries to look for the thing again, but it’s no longer there. Afraid to get into trouble, she moves back to the path, carrying her empty basket to the Professor.

“Sir? Professor Sprout said to give you this,” she says, catching his attention.

The Potions Master turns around, straightening up. She holds back a smile as he turns around and sees a streak of dirt on his face. Glancing around, she sees Uncle Lucius has moved a little deeper into the woods, and Professor Sprout has started to cut something with pink petals.

“Do you want some water?” Holly asks, trying to be polite as she holds her half-drunk bottle to him.

He pauses,  surprised as he often is when she does something nice for him.

“Thank you,” he says quietly, taking off one glove.

Holly undoes the cap for him, so he doesn’t have to take off the other gloves as well. To her surprise, he takes a few small sips, not even cleaning the top of the bottle from where she has already drunk. He hands the bottle back, barely drinking anymore. Maybe he’s just being polite by accepting it in the first place.

“You have a bit of dirt on your face,” she says as she screws on the cap again.

He looks startled and reaches for the wrong cheek with his ungloved hand.

“The other side,” she points to his face.

He moves his hand to the opposite but misses the dirt completely.

Exasperated, she reaches for his frock, grabs a fistful and yanks him down, “Come here, I’ll do it.”

She pulls on the finger of the glove with her teeth, and he obligingly comes down on one knee in front of her as she rubs gently on the streak of dirt until it’s gone.

With a satisfied nod, she lets go of him, takes the glove still in her mouth, and says, “It’s gone now.”

“Thank you,” he replies with an amused smile.

“What?” she says self-consciously as he continues to stare at her.

He shakes his head, still smiling at her.

“Do you want me to take your basket to Professor Sprout?” she asks to stop him from giving that silly look at her.

“No. I shall keep it in my satchel,” he replies.

She nods.

“I’m going to go to Uncle Lucius,” she says quickly and runs off without looking back.

 

ooOoo

Severus is aware he’s still smiling as he replaces his glove. Lucius isn’t far, so he lets her go without watching her leave. Later he would regret this, but for now, he carefully stores his Deadly Nightshade into his satchel before moving onto the Enchanter’s Nightshade just a few feet away.

This is the first time his daughter showed him any amount of care. Offering him water, which he took small sips of to appease her, wanting to leave most of it for her. Once more, he felt like he had let her down. Pomona had thought to bring the water. He should have thought of that also. Protective gloves and water. He should have had the foresight to bring both. He feels like he is floundering still. Why can’t he remember these things?

Moving on from his shortcomings as a father, instead, he turns his thoughts to how she cleaned his face, pulling down on his frock with surprising strength. Briefly, her manner resembled his mother’s, who had often scrubbed Severus’ face with the same exasperated care.

An hour later, lightly sweating from his exertions, he stores the other basket of cuttings into his satchel and his gloves and scissors before striding towards the voices of Lucius and Pomona. They also look to have completed their tasks. Pomona looks satisfied as she finishes latching the clasp on her satchel. Lucius takes off his gloves, storing them back into his robes.

“Your assistance is much appreciated, Lucius,” the Herbology professor says to the blond. “Without you, Severus and I would have been out here for another couple of hours at the very least.”

Lucius inclines his head in a short and gives a polite smile.

“I shall still have to apply a thorough Cleansing Charm to my shoes,” he comments, looking down at his mud-spattered footwear.“Or perhaps take Holly with me to Hogsmeade to purchase new ones.”

“Speaking of the little scamp, where is she?” Pomona asks brightly, canting her head to look behind Severus as he approaches them.

A frown begins to form on his face. He looks to Lucius.

“She said she was coming to you,” he says in a clipped tone.

Freezing in the act of slinging her satchel across her shoulder, Pomona says, “The last time I saw her, she was bringing you the empty basket.”

“She brought me the basket. Then she said she was going to Lucius,” Severus defends.

“She never came to me,” Lucius responds quietly, watching Severus carefully.

Pomona secures her satchel across her shoulder and brings out her wand. The wizards follow her lead.

“How long ago was this?” Pomona asks sharply, looking between the two.

“An hour ago,” Severus replies, his throat dry as Hagrid’s rock cakes.

               

ooOoo

Bitterly wishing she hadn’t followed the now elusive unicorn, Holly clutches her almost empty water bottle tightly to her chest.

She is so utterly lost that she can’t even begin trying to make her way out. She had been only a few feet away from Uncle Lucius when she’d seen the streak of white that she’d seen earlier. This time she’d seen the horn, and wanting to get a closer look, she stepped away from the path again.

By the time she’d caught up to the unicorn, she was very far from the three professors. The unicorn had long since disappeared, and Holly was left alone in the forest filled with dark creatures. Maybe she’d come across a centaur? Harry told her they helped him once. He said they didn’t like people but wouldn’t hurt her. As long as she didn’t come across anything like the giant spiders, then she’d be okay. The spiders would only try to eat her.

She had tried to backtrack, but she hadn’t even been able to make out her footprints at all, so that plan was short-lived.

Feeling chilled, she pulls her jacket tighter across her chest. Her face and clothes, already streaked with dirt, only collected more when she falls, having failed to see the root she trips over. Her water bottle flies from her hand as she tries to use her hands to break her fall. Falling awkwardly on her wrist, she winces in pain, pained tears filling her eyes.

She remembers being lost at the supermarket once. She’d let go of Oma’s hand, wandering off to inspect something that caught her eye. She couldn’t remember what it was now, but she remembers the fear of not being able to find Oma again. She remembers the relief of having her grandmother’s arms around her once more. Tears fill her eyes once more at the thought of Oma.

She dashes them away with a stifled sniffle. Crying would do her no good.

She looks around the Forbidden Forest. The trees are denser here, so there’s less light filtering through the foliage. Not to mention it is getting darker as well. How long has she been wandering around?

The Professors will surely look for her like Oma had in the supermarket. Grabbing her fallen water bottle, she sits down against the trunk of a tree and thinks.

Harry’s been in the forest before.

What would Harry do? She looks up once more.

Harry would climb a tree.            

 

                ooOoo

 

Albus, we could use some help,” Pomona’s voice echoes from her robin Patronus. “Holly is lost in the Forbidden Forest. We could use the extra manpower to search.

The silver streak dissipates into mist and disappears completely.

“Hagrid, my friend. I know you have only just returned from your journey, but you know the Forbidden Forest better than any of us. Will you help us find Severus’ daughter?” Dumbledore requests.

Hagrid, exhausted from travels, still puffs out his chest and importantly exclaims, “Of course, Headmaster, sir.”

He would like to know more about Professor Snape and his daughter. He didn’t even know the Potions Master had a little girl, but now isn’t the time for questions.

“Excellent,” Dumbledore says agreeably. “I shall summon for Minerva and Filius, and we shall meet you at your Hut posthaste. Fang is eager for your return, and I hope he will be a wonderful assistant in locating Holly.”

“Yes, sir,” Hagrid agrees. Shaking off his fatigue, he leaves Dumbledore’s office. He marches across the school grounds to his hut in no time with his long strides.

As soon as he sees his owner, Fang barks and moves to jump the gentle half-giant.

“Back, Fang. Back,” Hagrid snaps, though he is pleased to see his boarhound too. Entering his hut, he reaches for his crossbow.

“Come on, boy. We have a little girl to find,” he orders his faithful companion, strapping his weapon over his back before reaching for another, smaller crossbow. He’d carved both himself and used them for years whenever he needed to enter the Forest. With his free hand, he scoops up three lanterns by their handles.

“Let’s go,” he commands as they make their way to the edge of the Forest for Dumbledore and the others.

 

ooOoo

 

Severus reluctantly allows himself to be dragged to the forest's edge, where Dumbledore and the others are waiting.

“How long has she been missing?” Minerva jumps in straight away.

“We didn’t realise she was missing for an hour at least,” Pomona confesses shamefacedly when Severus doesn’t speak. “We each thought she was with the other. As soon as we realised, I sent you a message.”

“We will find her,” Albus assures them all, though he gives Severus a gentle look that has the Potions Master’s eyes prickling.

He nods, not looking anyone in the eye.

Hagrid clears his throat uncomfortably, “Er, Professor. Have you got something of hers? Something Fang can use. He can try to sniff her out, see?”

Severus instantly reaches into his pocket for the dragonhide gloves he found when they were searching.

“She was wearing these gloves,” he says gruffly, thrusting towards Hagrid’s beast.

“Come on, Fang,” Hagrid encourages. “Have a good sniff.”

The dog sticks his snout practically inside the glove.

“We should split into groups,” Albus instructs.

“I’ll stay with Hagrid and Fang,” Severus says instantly.

“Filius and I shall stick together,” Minerva says firmly.

Lucius teams up with Pomona, leaving Albus by himself.

Entering the Forest once more, with an instruction to send their Patronus upon locating his daughter, they split up into different directions.

Close to fifteen minutes later, Fang seems to scent Holly’s trail, calming Severus’ thundering heart, if only slightly.

“I’m coming, child,” Severus mutters quietly, urging the dog to move faster.

 

ooOoo

Holly stifles her scream against her hands, almost losing her balance on the branch she is perching on.

She should have kept walking or turned back around, but it took her several minutes to find a tree with branches low enough that she could use to climb.

Now she’s stuck, not having seen the nest until it was too late. Smothering the whimper threatening to escape, she thinks desperately of Harry.

Help me, Harry! She thinks, though she knows Harry is many miles away.

 

ooOoo

Harry inhales sharply, clutching his chest as his knees hit the floor.

“Harry,” he hears voices call out for him in alarm.

His thoughts are only on his sister.

 

ooOoo

 

Lucius looks up as he hears the fluttering of wings. He sees the dark outline of his owl against the orange light of the lantern he holds up.       

“Is that your owl?”

“Artemis,” he smiles. “He’s here to lead us to Holly.”

The black owl screeches and circles above them.

“Lead the way,” Lucius orders.

Together, they follow the bird on foot, keeping up as best they can.

 

ooOoo

 

“Isn’t that Mr Potter’s owl?” Filius asks as he looks up at the white owl that circles them overhead.

“So it is,” Minerva says with relief.

Without another word, she transforms into her cat form and leaps after the owl as she leads them to Holly.

Filius is left to follow as swiftly as he can using a modified Levitation Charm that makes it seem like he is flying without a broom.

 

ooOoo

Hagrid can keep apace with his boarhound much better than Severus can. Severus is huffing for breath, even with his long legs as he tries to keep up with them.

Hagrid, quietly thoughtlessly, doesn’t look behind to see Severus falling behind, intent on following his dog. As long as Severus can keep them in sight, he doesn’t care. As long as they find Holly, that is all that matters.

Somehow, Albus manages to rejoin Hagrid and Severus, so he isn’t alone.

 

ooOoo

Carefully, cautiously, Holly tries to climb down from the tree without making any noise that would attract attention.

The wrist she fell on is aching as she hangs from a higher branch trying to lower herself to the one below.

With a soft grunt, she drops, squeaking in alarm as she almost loses her footing. Climbing a tree was a good idea. Climbing a tree amongst humungous spiders who would eat her without hesitation was not.

She only needs to lower herself to one more branch before she can drop to the floor.

Two things distract her, pulling her attention in different directions: the first, the arrival of two owls, her friends Hedwig and Artemis, and the bark of a dog in the distance. She only knows of one dog residing in Hogwarts, Fang.

Losing concentration due to the combination of both these things; as relieved as she is to find her rescue is close, she falls, hitting the below branch, which snaps under her weight. The momentum carries her through, and she falls with a squeal and dull thud. Unprepared, she lands awkwardly, her ankle snapping underneath her, causing her to screech in pain.

Falling to her knees, she whimpers in terror as she hears the odd clicking sound of the pinchers. The spiders began to descend on her.

Knowing she is close to being found, she screams, “HELP!”

 

ooOoo

Severus’ lungs desperately claw for breath as he sees the others converge from different directions, moving quickly as he is.

Up ahead, out of sight, he hears Fang yelp in fear. The dog runs in the opposite direction of where they are supposed to be headed to his bemusement. Severus pauses for several seconds, then moves forward in alarm, with a speed he does not have when he hears Hagrid’s roar.

“Back! Get back, I tell you! Get away from her!”

In his haste, he trips and falls. Albus sees this and slows down.

“Go,” Severus wheezes.

With a concerned nod, Albus keeps moving.

“Severus,” Lucius calls before stopping next to him, reaching down to drag him to his feet.

An “Oof” sound escapes from him as he feels a weight on his shoulders and something fluffy flies past him.

“Was that Minerva?” Lucius asks.

“Was it?” Severus rasps, still breathing hard. He hadn’t seen.

He is about to follow the rest when he has to hastily step aside when Filius literally flies past, lest he is knocked down once more.

Severus barely takes two steps when he sees Hagrid striding back with his daughter bundled in the other’s arms.

“Holly!” he gasps, reaching for his child.

She’s unconscious.

“What happened?”

“Best to leave those questions until we get back to the castle,” Albus comes walking up to them briskly.

Minerva has transformed back to herself.

“Albus is right,” she nods, looking pale. “We should move out of here.”

Severus reluctantly lets Hagrid carry Holly. Not because she’s too heavy for him. But because he finds that when he entirely puts weight on his right ankle, he almost falls, having hurt it when he tripped earlier. He leans heavily on Lucius as they slowly head back to the castle. Pomona is carrying the satchel of ingredients she’s taken from Severus. Hagrid is ahead of them, carrying the most precious thing to Severus, with Albus, Filius and Minerva bringing up the rear, their cautious looks behind them unnoticed by all those ahead.

 

ooOoo

 

Sirius throws himself into the kitchen chair with a heavy sigh.

“Harry okay now?” Tonks asks, handing him a cup of tea.

Sirius nods, accepting his cup though he wishes she’d poured him something stronger.

“He’s fallen asleep.”

He had been on a high, coming back after a successful mission. He had expected it to take him longer, perhaps by a week or more, but they had been lucky. Hagrid had been hard to persuade, but in the end, he agreed to leave his brother’s (the brother he didn’t know he had) care to the rest of them.

Sirius would have to head back out in a couple of weeks, but he wanted to come back to see Harry on the train to Hogwarts, especially as he thought he might have missed it.

When Harry was a baby, they had all looked forward to the future in which the Marauders would see the first Mini-Marauder off for his first year at Hogwarts.

Sirius failed on that promise, but with coming back earlier than he’d anticipated, he doesn’t want to miss the opportunity now that is presented to him.

“Do you know who Holly is?”

Tonks trips over the leg of a kitchen table.

“What? Who?” she asks with a wince, sitting in the chair on the opposite side, not looking at him as she rubs her ankle.

“Holly,” he repeats patiently.

He doesn’t expect Tonks to know. Harry’s friends know because they are his friends, and Regulus knows because Harry confides in him. He hates being outside in his godson’s life, though he knows he’s brought it on himself.

“Who’s Holly?” Tonks asks, reaching for the tea she poured for herself and a scone.

“I wish I knew,” Sirius sighs, running his hand through his hair.

She moans as she bites into the scone.

“Harry made that, didn’t he?” Sirius asks, amused. She never makes noises like that when Molly cooks.

She nods, taking another greedy bite, even though she hasn’t swallowed the first.

Sirius reaches for a scone for himself.

“Oi,” he protests indignantly when she pulls the plate of them out of his reach. “I deserve one as well.”

She throws one in his direction. Sirius manages to catch it.

“That’s all you get,” she warns. At least, that’s what Sirius interprets it as, given her mouth is full.

“Very generous of you,” he says sarcastically. He shakes his head in exasperation. Andromeda had been his favourite cousin when they were younger. Though she had been in Slytherin like everyone else in their family, he had been so proud when he found out she was marrying a muggle-born and leaving the family behind. Unlike Sirius, whose rebellion had been open for all to see, Andromeda had been forced to comply until she could comply no longer.

“Who’s been mentioning Holly?” Tonks asks, picking the crumbs from her palm.

“Harry,” Sirius admits, then takes a sip of his tea. “He’s been upset all summer—something to do with this Holly person, I think. I don’t think she’s a girlfriend or an ex; otherwise, Luna might take issue with him.”

“No, Harry’s not the kind of person who would string multiple girls along,” Tonks agrees. “Even I know that.”

Sirius explains about Harry letting his owl out of the house a few weeks back, and then earlier today, his friends said Harry was ill. When Sirius went to check on him, he kept calling for Holly.

“Is he feverish? Does my mum need to come and take a look at him?” Tonks asks with concern.

Sirius, about to deny the need for Andromeda, changes his mind and agrees. What kind of godfather would he be if he didn’t get his godson checked out by a Healer?

“Tomorrow, in any case. There’s no need to disturb either of them now.”

 

ooOoo

 

Draco hears the hitch of her mother’s breath and looks up from his plate.

“What is it? Mother?” Draco prods with concern.

Narcissa’s eyes are rapidly scanning her letter. Finally, after what feels like hours of suspense, his mother relays the contents of the letter to him.

“Severus and your father were in the Forbidden Forest collecting ingredients with another professor. Holly joined them, but she wandered off and got lost-”

“What?” Draco interrupts. “How could they let her wander off? Why weren’t they keeping an eye on her? Is she okay? Have they found her? Why did Uncle Severus even take her to the Forest?”

 Draco has only been in the Forest once for detention in his first year. He’s never wanted to step foot back in there ever again. How could his godfather be so careless?

Narcissa raises an eyebrow at Draco’s demanding questions before the look in her eyes softens to understanding.

“She is fine, Draco,” his mother assures him. She passes him the letter to read, which he has to stop himself from snatching. “They were able to find her in a couple of hours. Madam Pomfrey kept her in the Infirmary overnight, but she’s fully healed.”

“A broken ankle and fractured wrist,” Draco repeats, scanning the letter frantically.

“Yes. She’s well enough that she sent her regards as well.”

“To you,” Draco says sullenly, passing the letter back to his mother. “She’s not mentioned me in any of the letters she sends with Father.”

“Draco,” Narcissa says sympathetically. At least his mother doesn’t lie to him and say she meant to include him.

“I miss her,” he confesses softly. Every time Father sends a letter, his heart leaps that Holly will perhaps include him in her good wishes this time. Each time it doesn’t happen, his heart sinks.

Narcissa runs a gentle hand through her son’s hair. He is thankful his mother stopped mentioning it’s his own fault.

“Do you think Uncle Severus or Father might bring her to King’s Cross? Maybe she could see me off on the train? She’s never been to Platform 9 3/4. We could show her how to get on the platform, ready for her first year.”

Still stroking his hair gently, Narcissa smiles.

“I shall send a letter to Severus to ask him if he’ll allow that.”

Draco nods, hoping it happens. Otherwise, he won’t see Holly until Christmas. He has to get her a brilliant Christmas present, however. He has already been looking through the various owl order catalogues, and he can see what’s available in Hogsmeade once school starts again.

 

ooOoo

 

“Hello, Mrs Figg,” Harry greets with a smile, giving his neighbour a quick hug.

“Oh, look at you, Harry,” Mrs Figg fusses over him. “You’ve shot up so much.”

It hasn’t been that long since he’s last seen Mrs Figg, though he is still pleased with her words. His smile widens. He might not have been as close to Mrs Figg as he was with Iris, but he has become fond of the elderly lady over the last few years since discovering her connection to the wizarding world.

“How have you been?” Harry asks, moving back and letting her down.

Kreacher pops in with a tea set and snacks before the other woman can answer.

“Thanks, Kreacher,” Harry smiles at the Elf.

“Will Master Harry be wanting anything else?”

“No, Kreacher. This is great.”

Kreacher gives a short bow and pops out. Harry likes Kreacher almost as much as Dobby, though Regulus’ House-Elf is much less hyper than the former Malfoy Elf. Harry has been worrying about Dobby since finding out Lucius was appointed as a teacher at the school. He’d made a request to Dumbledore that their paths should not be allowed to cross. The Headmaster assured him that he would ensure they were kept away from each other.

He can’t wait to get to Hogwarts to speak to Dobby himself.

“I’ve been well, Harry. Dudley has been keeping me company,” Mrs Figg accepts the tea Harry passes to her with a gentle nod. “The boy misses you. He’s not had a letter from you in a few weeks.”

“Hedwig’s been with Holly,” Harry confesses quietly. Errol has been resting at the Burrow, and Harry doesn’t want to impose on the elderly (bordering on decrepit) owl. Ron offered Pig, but Harry is reluctant, especially since his comments about Holly. A part of Harry has not forgiven his friend for his thoughtless remarks, though neither brings it up.

“How has she been?” Mrs Figg asks with a gentleness that has Harry’s eyes prickling.

“Good, I hope. Regulus passed my letters to her every time he went to Malfoy Manor. He’s been busy with some Order stuff recently, so I’ve not heard anything.”

Mrs Figg nods diffidently, stirring her tea absently as she listens to him.

“Regulus has been visiting me on and off for the last couple of weeks,” Mrs Figg confesses. “He rarely stays for more than a few minutes, but he’s been asking me to sort a few things out for him in the muggle world.”

Harry nods as well. Regulus returned from whatever mission Dumbeldore sent him on last week, but Harry has barely seen the man. Their paths cross for seconds, and things seem to be kicking off with style as there always seem to be people around, so there has been little opportunity to speak to him.

“There are a few reasons I asked to see you today,” Mrs Figg begins, settling her cup down, undrunk. “I’ve left a suitcase near the entrance. It belonged to Iris. It’s all the books she left for you and some personal effects.”

Harry feels a lump settle in his throat. Mrs Figg had already packed up some of Oma’s books for him before he left Privet Drive, which he’s added to his new trunk. As much as he appreciates the books, he would much rather have his Oma back.

“Oh, lad,” she says empathetically, reaching for his hand, seeing his upset.

Harry coughs to clear his throat.

“I packed a few more of Holly’s things in there as well. Other bits she had to leave behind when that Social Worker took her away. Maybe you can send them to her at some point? After you pick out what you think she’d like best? You know her so well.”

“Yeah,” Harry croaks, then clears his throat once more. “I’ll do that. She’d like her things.”

“Dudley’s sent you a letter as well. And a care package.”

She unearths both from her humungous handbag, which she still has hanging on the crook of her arm.

“Thanks,” Harry accepts. “Is Dudley okay? You know, with his parents?”

The elderly woman shakes her head.

“Dudley’s been over at my home every chance he gets. He’s fallen out with both Vernon and Petunia. They keep arguing… over you.”

“I don’t mean for them to,” Harry stammers.

“Don’t you dare worry about them, Harry,” Mrs Figg admonishes. “Vernon and Petunia have brought this upon themselves. I’ve told the lad he can come over to mine any time he wants. He’s grown up to be such a helpful lad. Never hesitates to help me with my shopping or looking after my cats. Never accepts any payment for it either. Though he never says no to a meal.”

Harry laughs. Even with his diet, Dudley loves his food.

“He’s been training hard. His boxing is coming along quite nicely if I do say so myself,” she says proudly.

“I’m glad.”

“What about your gymnastics? Have you been able to do much since you’ve been stuck in here?”

“Regulus gave us a workout room in one of his dungeons. I’m able to do some stuff. I’ve been doing some callisthenics instead. Working on my strength and core,” Harry explains. He and Dean had also started doing some parkour and free-running at Hogwarts, using trees on the edge of the Forest and the Great Lake. Or using the spectators stands on the Quidditch pitch. Harry hasn’t been able to do much of that since coming to Grimmauld Place for fear of bringing down Mrs Weasley’s wrath.

Harry and Mrs Figg chat for almost an hour, catching up. Before she leaves, she reaches into her handbag once more, pulling out another letter.

He sees Iris’ handwriting before Mrs Figg tells him what it is. This envelope is much thicker than Dudley’s letter.

“Look after yourself, lad,” she pats his cheek tenderly.

He surprises her with a hug, which she returns, then leaves him alone to stare at the letter. It takes a lot of willpower for him not to rip open the letter straight away. Clutching the letter, he carefully folds it away into his pocket. Outside the parlour, in the hallway, right where Mrs Figg said it would be, he finds the suitcase full of Iris’ things. He hefts it experimentally. It’s still relatively heavy, even with the Featherlight Charm. He expects Hermione’s trunk would weigh about the same, given how many books she packs in her trunk.

He does not encounter anyone as he walks up to this room. Everyone else is in the workout room or the kitchen. Laying the suitcase on his bed, he opens it up. The first thing he sees is a short note.

I hope you find this as valuable as I have over the years, my son. Knowledge might be a treasure, Harry. However, you and Holly have been my treasures since I laid eyes on you both.

Love,

Oma.

 

Harry carefully lays the note to the side. Meticulously, following Hermione’s library system as much as possible, Harry empties the books from the suitcase into the correct compartment in his new trunk. Given the sheer number of books, everything from Iris’ cellar, it takes him several hours.

And because he has been away from his friends for so long and doesn’t want them to worry, Harry leaves the envelope passed to him from Mrs Figg to read later. Firmly closing the door behind him, he clears his mind, bringing forth his Occulmency barriers.

Later that night, after everyone has gone to bed, Harry pulls out Iris’ final letter, silent tears flowing freely as Harry traces her last words to him with a finger.

“There’s nothing to forgive, Oma,” he whispers.

 

ooOoo

 

The morning of 1st September dawns with clear skies. Holly has gone back to being sullen and withdrawn since the Forest incident - though, small mercies, she has not been hostile.

Still, he is surprised when Holly comes out of her bedroom after breakfast, dragging her suitcase behind her with a miserable deportment.

“You’ve packed everything?”

“I never unpacked,” she mumbles without looking at him. Her hair is washed and loose around her shoulders, draping halfway down her back instead of her usual ponytail.

He realises he has not mentioned the change in plans, given his busyness with last-minute tasks that always crop up, no matter how organised he keeps himself.

“Perhaps you should go back to your room and unpack things properly,” he tells her with a straight face that doesn’t betray the joyful tumult to whose rhythm his heart beats.

“Why would I want to do that?” she sneers derisively, and it’s hard for him not to realise why others have likened her to him.

“You can hardly keep digging into your suitcase for clothes for the rest of the year,” he replies in a deceptively mild tone, observing her closely over the rim of his coffee mug.

It takes her precious seconds to understand what he is saying. She looks up at him carefully, with the mien of someone trying not to give in to hope, staring at him wordlessly as if disrupting that absolute silence would break her most coveted wish and the promise concealed behind her father's words.

“I’m… I’m staying?” she asks carefully, stepping closer to him, dragging her luggage behind her.

“Yes.”

“All year?”

Another step forward.

“Yes.”

Severus is gratified to give the answers that will endear her to him - unlike their last real heart-to-heart, which ended with her calling him her prisoner.

“You’re not sending me away?”

Another step.

This time, a slow shaking of the head, “No.”

“Promise?”

Severus puts down his mug and twists in his seat to face her.

“You have my word, Holly.”

Only then, standing in front of him, does she let go of her suitcase and throw her arms around him, slamming her forehead into his chest. His breath hitches (from the pressure of her head, he assures himself. He isn't getting maudlin.) It’s the first time she has hugged him. He gives her an awkward hug back, given her arms trap his. He lowers his head, giving her an awkward kiss on top of her head instead.

Her eyes are shining as she pulls back without releasing him.

“Does Uncle Lucius know? Can I tell him? Can I? Please?”

Severus is in such a good mood that he doesn’t even correct her grammar.

“Go on.”

Abandoning her suitcase, she races out of their rooms.

“No running in the corridors,” he calls ineffectually after her. Pointless, considering she is probably halfway to Lucius’ rooms, given her speed.

He had spoken to Albus about keeping his daughter with him the morning after recovering from her adventures in the Forbidden Forest. She had been inconsolable in Lucius’ arms, weeping over being sent away. Albus seemed to have expected the Potions Master to ask about Holly becoming a permanent resident sooner and did not attempt to make even a token protest.

With a wide grin, Severus picks up Holly’s forsaken suitcase and carries it back to her bedroom, taking great satisfaction in hanging up her clothes in the actual wardrobe. When it comes to her … underthings…   he quickly dumps them into one of the drawers of the dressing table and slams it shut, blushing the whole while. Handling her socks is less embarrassing.

Surveying the empty suitcase with approval, he opens up the bag he recalls from her first meeting with her. The one she clutched like a lifeline. Opening, he spies the photo album on top. Curiously, he pulls it out, itching to peruse through it. The dozen or so photographs Tobias handed over to him are treasured and carefully added to his own photo album. He studies them every night before falling asleep, but they are not near enough to appease his hunger to get to know his daughter.

With a rueful shake of his head, he decides not to violate her privacy by perusing her album. It has taken longer than he anticipated, but he is finally getting to a point in his relationship with Holly where she is conversing with him voluntarily. He can be patient for a while longer. Shoving the album back into the bag, he places it on the dressing table and shrinks the now empty suitcase, banishing it to the storage closet in the hallway.

 

ooOoo

 

Lucius, about to finish his coffee, hears the thundering knock. The door bangs open, loud enough to make him wince. He quickly swallows the rest of his coffee, knowing he will need every drop for the day ahead. Merlin, he’s still not fully dressed.

“Uncle Luc? Uncle Luc? Guess what? Guess what? You won’t believe it!”

Holly storms like a nest of acromantula are on her tail. A poor comparison, given her experience in the Forbidden Forest mere days ago.

“What is it, my darling?” he asks, pushing away his now empty mug and pulling her onto his lap as she runs up to him.

“He’s letting me stay. Dad’s not sending me away,” she says breathlessly. “He said I can stay all year. Isn’t that great? I can see Harry today. I don’t have to wait until Christmas, not anymore.”

Lucius feels the smile that erupted at hearing Holly refer to Severus as dad slide off as she mentions Harry. While she chatters eagerly, he debates about summoning a House-Elf for another coffee - or perhaps, something stronger. However, it would be bad form to be drunk at his first appearance at the Welcoming Feast and arrive hungover for his first lesson.

It’s a real shame.

This child is breaking his friend’s heart.

Still, he is happy to see her so animated.

“Draco will be here, too, darling,” he points out gently, holding her securely, deciding to move past the topic of Potter even though this is the first time she has mentioned him directly in front of Lucius.

The animated expression leaves her face as he mentions Draco.

“He is very apologetic, my darling. He’s been missing you terribly. You will talk to him, won’t you?”

Which will appease his son for all of five seconds until he finds out that Potter holds Holly’s heart.  Unless he’s grown up in the past two weeks. Lucius doubts it very much.

“Okay,” Holly agrees, sighing exaggeratedly as if he’s asked her to move into the acromantula colony.

“Draco will be pleased,” he quirks his lips at her in amusement, but she gives him only a shrewd look.

“Did you know the Professor was going to let me stay?”

He raises an eyebrow. No longer dad? How flicky Holly is in defining her parent - not that he can blame her. He neglects to comment on it, in any case. Perhaps she’ll slip up in front of Severus at some point. Maybe, after the very much probable blowout of finding out about Potter, it will calm Severus’ ire a bit. Then again, there’s more chance of Severus wearing pink than there is of him accepting Potter.

“I might have suspected,” Lucius prevaricates.

She bestows him with a sweet smile, hugging him tightly while he drops another kiss on top of her head.

“Surprise, my darling,” he sighs happily.

“Now,” she says, pushing back slightly, “I can go unpack properly.”

Lucius gently brushes her hair with his fingers, tucking it back behind her ear.

“Did you even run a comb through your hair, messy child?” he admonishes.

She shakes her head unrepentantly, her smile not dimming in the slightest.

“Come on,” he says, standing up from his chair, still holding Holly.

Carrying her to his bedroom, he deposits her on the floor in front of his full-length mirror, summoning his hairbrush. Tenderly, he runs the brush through Holly’s hair, black like Severus’ and quite a bit longer too. So shiny and soft that they resemble the shiny feathers of a raven. If Severus took better care of his hair, he could also be like his daughter. His friend has never been vain enough to care about outward appearances. His hair only looks greasy due to its lank and limp state. Lucius had gifted him a shampoo once, which promised to add volume. Severus is too stubborn to use it.

Lucius, on the other hand, took pride in his appearance. Though he was not employed at the Ministry, he was often seen there to care about how he presented himself. Severus only cared about the opinions of a handful of people, and none of them put stock in his appearance.

“Stand still, child,” he reproves as she squirms.

She sighs again, bringing his lips to twitch in amusement. Lucius gets on one knee behind her, carefully gathers her hair into a ponytail and ties it neatly with a ribbon he fishes from his pocket.

The simple ritual of that gesture struck him like a bolt from the blue: Perhaps, if the war was not upon them, he and Narcissa could try for a child once more. Severus would undoubtedly help with the potions - as he had last time.

“What? Holly asks, catching his wistful expression as his eyes clash with hers in the mirror.

“I wish you were mine,” he replies without thinking, a yearning that takes him by surprise.

Holly looks at him as if her eyes could penetrate his soul. “I’m glad I’m not,” she responds with devastating honesty.

He cannot deny the hurt that pierces his heart, and for the first time, he experiences what Severus feels when Holly denies his paternity.

“If I were yours, I would be spoiled and bratty like Draco. I don’t want to be like him. I’m not like him.”

She is influenced by Potter’s letters, Lucius assures himself as she stares at him. Draco is a little spoiled, but he is still a good son. If Holly gave him the same chance she gave Potter, Draco would show her his worth. And, he is a good father, Lucius tells himself. He and Narcissa love Draco. They are both good parents - with flaws and qualities that have made Draco the man he is today, for better or worse.

“I’m glad you’re my uncle, though,” Holly adds earnestly, turning around and looking at him directly.

Taking her by surprise, Lucius pulls her into a tight embrace. Potter has her loyalty more than anyone. After losing her grandmother, Potter is her last lifeline. The one they all fall behind. She will measure them using Potter as a standard and find them wanting. If Lucius isn’t careful, he could lose her as well, he suddenly realises as he catches a glimpse of the Dark Mark on his left wrist when his sleeve rides down.

Lucius, Severus and Regulus are all marked in different ways to Potter. They could all lose her if she ever finds they each bore some sort of culpability during the Dark Lord’s terror.

“I am only your uncle because Severus is my brother. As – as …” he fails to complete his sentence as he releases her.

“Like Harry is mine,” Holly finishes looking into his eyes.

Lucius nods.

“He’s going to be mad, isn’t he? When will he find out about Harry?” Her eyes are wide with something quite similar to apprehension as she asks.

“You know he will,” Lucius answers honestly.

“Harry and I won’t leave each other,” she is fierce in her confidence.      

Lucius has no reason to doubt this. He finds it indicative of her own opinion of him that Holly doesn’t ask him to help her. Perhaps it is because Lucius has helped conceal her relationship with Potter than dare mention it to Severus that she believes even he cannot sway his friend’s opinion when it comes to anything Potter related.

She lays her head back on his shoulder, making his heart lurch at her affection.

“Oh no!” she gasps, suddenly pulling away, covering her mouth with both hands and giving him a look of abject horror.

Alarmed, he is quick to demand, “What is it?” as he cups her shoulders to stop her from getting too far.

“Aunt Cissa!” she wails, clenching her fists and, to his surprise, stomping her foot in frustration as her eyes fill up.

He gives her a look of confusion.

“You’re here, and Draco’s coming here, and I’m staying here as well now,” Holly rushes to explain. “That means Aunt Cissa will be all alone.”

Lucius gives her a warm smile, pleased she thought of Narcissa.

Planting a kiss on her head, he assures her, “Your aunt won’t be alone. She’s already made arrangements to move to Uncle Regulus’ house. She’ll visit us on the occasional weekend in Hogsmeade.”

Holly looks relieved, though a little sad.

“I bet you think I’m being selfish for wanting to spend time with Harry,” she asks a little forlornly.

“You’re not being selfish, darling,” he assures her.

“Do you think Aunt Cissa will like it if I send her a letter to explain everything?”

“I’m sure she will,” Lucius smiles at her. “Professor Dumbledore is going to London this morning. If you ask him politely, he might pass the letter on directly instead of sending it with Artemis.”

The Headmaster was going to deliver the secret of Headquarters personally to Narcissa.

Holly beams at him, placated.

 Standing up and stretching his legs from the prolonged kneeling position, Lucius holds back a groan. Another reason he is glad he’s defected from the Dark Lord’s side, he thinks with a bit of dark humour. He no longer has to kneel for a protracted length of time. He’s getting too old for that.

Then, he helps Holly write a short note to Narcissa. When they’re finished, Holly wears the same smile she had previously.

“What are we doing today?” the girl asks in a cheerful voice, content that things are going her way.

“Shall we go ask your father?” Lucius parries back as he seals the letter, leaving it on the desk.

She gives a happy little nod, not even making a face as she used when someone refers to Severus as her father.

Lucius finishes dressing, indulgently amused as she insists on helping him button up his sleeves, though he tenses when she does his left cuff. As long as it is possible, he wants to keep the Mark, a witness of his mistakes - and of his false, broken promises - far from her innocent sight. Letter in his pocket, they leave for the dungeons, making a quick detour to deliver the letter to Dumbledore, who takes it with a smile, promising to consign it directly to Narcissa. Lucius knows Dumbledore plans to be at King’s Cross for eleven, just after the Hogwarts Express has departed.

 

ooOoo

 

Harry trudges slowly towards the barrier, the Weasleys, Hermione, Neville, and Luna in tow, under a heavy guard. Moody’s eye swivels in all directions in his head, constantly on alert, while Tonks is disguised as a businesswoman in a full pantsuit and blonde hair in a neat bun.

Moody crosses the barrier first, insisting that Harry come next. Harry looks around the muggle side of Kings Cross one last time, particularly towards the entrance, almost expecting Iris and Holly to come bounding in. He even looks towards the coffee shop before remembering Iris will never come to see him off ever again.

“Harry?” Lupin prompts, looking confused as to his hesitation.

Catching Mrs Weasley’s eyes and the compassionate look within them, he mumbles, “Sorry,” and takes the barrier at a run.

He is immediately assaulted by the noise of families chattering away as parents bid their final goodbyes to their children.

Harry moves away from the barrier, not wanting to get knocked down, and waits for everyone else to come through, waiting by Moody’s side. He looks around the platform, searching for the well-known blond heads of his enemy family.

Could they…

There!

He spots the Malfoys, or at least Narcissa and Draco. Lucius will already be at Hogwarts.

Narcissa catches his eyes at the same time as he catches a glimpse of her. Holding Harry’s gaze with intensity, she gives a subtle shake of her head that no one else sees.

Harry looks away, disappointed once more. They haven’t brought Holly with them.

 

ooOoo

 

Narcissa looks away from Harry Potter, who looks as glum as Draco. Her son had desperately hoped he would get to see Holly once before he returned to Hogwarts, and, as it seems, Harry had as well.

Keeping her face impassive, Narcissa thinks about the surprise both children will have when they see Holly already at Hogwarts.

“Goodbye, Mother,” Draco mutters, refusing to look her in the eye.

“Take care, Draco,” she tells him, giving him a final hug he is too embarrassed to receive.

She is one of the last parents to leave, and she sees that Potter’s guard also stays until the end. Waiting until the Express departs the platform, Narcissa walks past the barrier into the muggle side.

She is approached by a young woman whom she does not immediately recognise, not until she speaks.

“Wotcher, Aunt Narcissa,” the mysterious woman whispers, brushing past her.

Narcissa casually follows her disguised niece, who seems to be dressed as a muggle in formal wear. A business suit, if she’s not mistaken. She recognises the get-up from her recent venture into the muggle world.

Led to an alley outside, she finds the rest of the guard already waiting for her, along with Albus Dumbledore.

“Narcissa,” the Headmaster greets genially. “Miss Tonks shall side-apparate you to our destination if you are amenable?”

 Narcissa nods. “That will be fine.”

Nymphadora firmly grips Narcissa’s elbow, and together they disapparate. One by one, the rest of them disapparate too, and the alley is left empty.

 

ooOoo

 

Severus is pleased when Lucius and Holly come to collect him for a day out, deciding to walk down to Hogsmeade together.

Holly happily chatters away as they stroll towards the gates. Severus takes great pleasure in giving his daughter a tour of the village. The visit to the Shrieking Shack is short, Lucius stepping in to distract her from asking too many questions about the dilapidated building, knowing Severus has one excellent reason to avoid it.

Holly doesn’t ask for much when they enter Honeydukes, but Lucius secretly buys many different chocolates to spoil her with later. He also makes a mental note to speak to Severus about giving the child some pocket money at the first opportunity.

Severus avoids Zonko’s altogether, to Lucius’ amusement, and most of the establishments at the far end of the village, especially the Hog’s Head, so they end the tour at The Three Broomsticks. They are both careful as they walk around, keeping a wary out for anything out of the ordinary without alerting Holly. Diagon Alley is the hub of all wizarding activity, and while Hogsmeade is more for residents of the village, it does not mean it is any less dangerous.

Though he knows Severus wanted to keep Holly’s existence as quiet as possible, with her now living in Hogwarts with the Potions professor, it was frankly ridiculous to think they would be able to keep her importance to Severus a secret. Especially after having been visited by the likes of Parkinson, Nott and the Greengrass family. Not to mention the ever-widowed Mirabella Zabini.

Lucius is happy to see his friend looking so relaxed, and it has to do with how casually his daughter treats him. Keeping the conversation light and relevant to the village, they take a seat at a private booth, ordering some light snacks and drinks (non-alcoholic, unfortunately, due to the student's arrival in the evening); Severus even allows Holly to try a small glass of hot butterbeer.

Lucius holds back a laugh at the face she makes upon trying her first sip.

“I don’t like that,” she says, making a face. “Can I have juice instead?”

Madam Rosmerta brings over a glass of apple juice, a plate of biscuits, and nibbles, gushing over Severus’ daughter the whole while.

With more diplomacy than Lucius thinks the black-haired wizard is capable of, Severus manages to dodge all questions and then secretly places a Privacy ward around them.

Lucius gets the opportunity to speak to his friend about an allowance for Holly sooner than anticipated when she excuses herself to use the ladies' room.

“Have you thought about giving your daughter some pocket money?” Lucius asks him the second she is out of earshot. “There might be occasions where she would like to purchase something without you hovering around her.”

Severus looks back at him thoughtfully.

“I have been thinking about it for some time, actually,” Severus confesses in a low voice. “When the original plan was for Holly to stay with Narcissa, I thought I would set up an exchange with your wife of some sort until I visited her on the occasional weekend. Now that she is staying with me, I’m revising the option. What do you think is the appropriate amount to give her?”

The blond is pleased that his friend solicits his opinion on this.

“Narcissa and I started giving Draco his allowance from the age of seven for the amount of a galleon a week. Given that we bought him anything he wanted when we visited Diagon Alley, he had a hefty amount saved for when we had family outings at Quidditch matches or the theatre and such. After he started at Hogwarts, we increased his allowance to five galleons a week – after we negotiated it from fifty galleons a month,” Lucius adds dryly. “Leading up to the Christmas period, we sent him a lump sum of fifty galleons to buy presents, and if he fell short of that amount, it was up to him to supplement it from whatever he hadn’t spent from his pocket money.”

“He is on more than five galleons a week at the moment,” Severus points out.

“He is,” Lucius confirms. “Before the beginning of the new school year, Draco attempts to negotiate an increase in his allowance. Before his third year, he came to us with his Hogsmeade permission slip and asked for one hundred galleons a month.”

“Ambitious,” Severus mutters wryly, raising an eyebrow.              

“Indeed,” Lucius agrees. “Of course, he failed utterly in his negotiations. He lost his temper with me, and I cut his allowance to three gallons a week until Christmas that year.”

Severus smirks and shakes his head.

“He has since learned not to throw a tantrum when negotiating his finances. As such, he was meant to receive ten galleons a week this year. After he failed to keep his tongue civil, he is now down to seven galleons, though if he can show me that he can watch his language, Draco might get the ten as he was originally supposed to.”

Severus nods thoughtfully.

“However,” Lucius continues, “Holly has grown up in the muggle world. There the currency holds a different value.”

“Yes, her familiarity with muggle currency has to be taken into account,” Severus agrees. “It will take time for her to get accustomed to using wizarding currency. I had noticed her trying to calculate from sickles to pounds when we were in Honeydukes.”

Lucius had noticed the same.

“Jasmine’s mother seems to have instilled value for money into Holly from a young age,” Severus comments with approval. “Though she was curious around the various shops, she didn’t seem to be taken by much. I had noticed Holly seemed to be drawn to items that spoke of quality.”

Lucius has trained himself not to react whenever Holly’s grandmother is mentioned. It is difficult when he remembers his confused sixteen-year-old friend, who spent many years distraught at being unable to find out what happened to his mother.

“Perhaps two galleons a month?” Lucius suggests, bearing in mind Severus’ budget is much less than Lucius’.

His friend looks hesitant.

“You can teach her how to budget. When you venture to Hogsmeade or Diagon Alley together, you can let her learn the value of what she wants to buy. And if she wants to buy birthday or Christmas gifts, you can supplement her allowance as needed. Realistically, how much is she going to spend? Whatever money she has left over by the end of the year, you can open an account for her at Gringotts and add it all in for her.”

Severus nods, looking more convinced. When it comes to money, Lucius is an expert.

“How is that working out for Draco?”

Lucius sighs with exasperation.

“One year, Draco added three galleons and five knuts to his account,” he says wryly.

Draco has a spending problem, just like his mother. Yet, unlike Narcissa, he is an idiot who refuses to budget effectively. If his son doesn’t shape up, he might have to implement drastic measures next year and reduce Draco’s allowance to a galleon a week. If he was going to act like a child, then he would be treated like one.

If Draco is to take over Lucius’ empire one day, he needs to show he can handle it. Abraxas might not have been the greatest of fathers, but he made sure Lucius learned the skills to look after himself - Something Draco is sorely lacking.

“Two galleons a month seems reasonable,” Severus agrees.

Two galleons are still quite a lot for a child. Depending on the exchange rate, it would be roughly a hundred and forty pounds a month in muggle money, give or take, depending on the exchange rate. Lucius doubts the average muggle child would actually get anything near that amount.

Any further musings are cut off as Holly comes bounding back.

Deciding to head back to the castle, they pay their bill and take their leave.

“I can’t wait to read my new books,” Holly chatters as they walk back. Given Severus’ decision to keep Holly at Hogwarts with him, he had to purchase several new books to teach her, a responsibility Narcissa would have undertaken if his daughter had returned to Malfoy Manor.

Severus had also done the clever thing and convinced several other teachers to take on different subjects for the girl. Lucius was going to teach her History and Maths, and Severus, of course, would take on Science and Literature. Minerva was going to teach her Latin, Dumbledore Geography, while Flitwick would take on Music. Other teachers had agreed to let her sit in on their lessons throughout the year, provided she behaved well. Essentially, they would act in a supervisory manner to ensure she completed the assigned work and pitch in if Holly requested help.

“Oi, Snape!” a hoarse voice calls as they head towards the gates of Hogwarts.

Both wizards tense, their wands already in hand as they turn, standing protectively in front of Holly.

“Fletcher,” Severus growls, lowering his wand slightly but not putting it away.

Lucius does not associate with the likes of Mundungus Fletcher, though he knows people who are well acquainted with this particular low-life. The blond is very aware that the Potions Master has been meeting the lowly thief for several weeks to do some work for the Order.

Holly tries to peek from behind them and asks curiously: “Who is he?”

Lucius and Severus look at each other, wondering how to answer.

 

ooOoo

 

Harry and Hermione walk out of the Prefect’s carriage straight after the meeting. The Head Boy, a Hufflepuff named Vikram Chaudhary, instructs all Fifth-year prefects a note from McGonagall to take the last carriages, meaning they have to stay until the last of the students have already left. There is no other explanation in the note, and it doesn’t help that even Chaudhary looks confused.

Ron is not happy to hear about Draco being named one of the Slytherin Prefects, but the news is not unexpected. Harry has to stop himself from grabbing Draco and asking him about Holly. Regulus told him the blond had upset Holly by using the word mudblood, and she had refused to talk to him. But that was over two weeks ago. Surely by now, Draco had managed to appease her.

 

                ooOoo

 

Sitting in the kitchen of Number 12 Grimmauld Place, Narcissa enjoys a good conversation with Andromeda and Regulus, while Sirius, having decided to join them, looks sullen for the most part.

Apparently, he was stopped from joining the guard as he wanted to take Harry Potter to King’s Cross.

The rest of the guard has since departed to their usual duties, and Nymphadora has gone upstairs to change into less formal clothes.

“I’ll come with you to Malfoy Manor to collect your things,” Regulus volunteers. “Now that the teens and the Weasleys have gone, you have your pick of rooms. Make yourself at home.”

Narcissa is quick to agree. “I appreciate that, Regulus.”

The manor is simply too big, with the men in her life absent. The House-Elves will keep it in good condition in her absence, though she plans to visit every so often. Albus advised that he would return to place a Fidelius Charm in the morning, and Regulus agreed to be their Secret Keeper.

“You have truly transformed the Family Home,” Narcissa comments, realising that this is the first time she has visited Grimmauld Place in over a decade. Regulus always visits them rather than inviting the Malfoys to his home.

“Thank you,” he says with a pointed look at a sheepish Sirius. “Do you want to see the rest of the place?”

Narcissa agrees. The ghastly house-elf heads have been removed, thank Morgana, as have many darker portraits. The house is more open now. The library is welcoming and no longer carries an air of menace and cloying darkness. Narcissa picks a bedroom close to Regulus’, deciding not to take over any of the Weasleys used over the summer. She is sure that they will most likely be back for the holidays.

Narcissa exclaims of the dungeon room that the teens took over with their workout equipment.

“Harry and the others used this room to practice gymnastics and generally keep in shape,” Regulus explains.

Narcissa takes careful note of how each piece of equipment has been set up.

“Who set it all up?” She inquires, looking around with interest.

Lucius had bought most of the store during their last trip to the muggle world. Though he used some of the equipment, he learned to set it up from the books; much of it takes up space in Lucius' Toy Room as he doesn’t know how to set it up. Not that the proud wizard will admit it.

“Harry, mostly,” Regulus laughs. “He made a list of everything he wanted for his cousin, and Dudley made sure to order it. Arthur and I collected it, and Harry showed us how to put it together. Did you know each piece of equipment comes with instructions? Harry left a few bits for Arthur to do out of pity, but the boy did most of it himself.”

The workout room is filled with various contraptions.

“Do you use any of it?” Narcissa asks again.

“The kids taught me a few things,” Regulus admits modestly. “This is the pull-up bar.”

The ‘pull-up bar’ was simply two bars running parallel from the ground, with more metal bars for stability at the bottom. There were two handles mid-way up and two jutting out from the very top.

“Is it stable?” Narcissa queries, looking at the base with doubt.

“Harry insists it is,” Regulus replies, “but Molly pushed on adding some protection to all of it.”

Regulus has to jump and catch the top bar. His face contorts into a grimace as his arms stretch overhead, each hand on the handles that jut out, his legs hanging freely, though crossed at the ankles, at the bottom.

“Come on, Reg. You can do it!” Sirius encourages from the threshold.

Painstakingly, Regulus tenses his body, pulls himself up using his arms and then lowers himself down again. He repeats this three times before letting go and landing lightly on his feet.

“Three!” Sirius exclaims. “Pathetic.”

“I was only demonstrating for Narcissa,” Regulus says defensively, his face red for his exertions, “not doing a full workout. Besides, I already did my exercises this morning.”

Sirius jeers at his brother and pushes him out of the way.

Narcissa and Andromeda exchange amused glances, unseen by the wizards. They are reminded of their childhood days when the boys used to compete for attention. Sirius still can’t resist showing off, and Regulus has to prove he can keep up.

Sirius jumps up, grasping the bars like Regulus did earlier, demonstrating ten pull-ups.

“Ten? Regulus mocks. “You heckled me for ten pull-ups?”             

The sisters turn away, moving back up to the kitchen, leaving the bickering boys to themselves. At least, Narcissa has found somewhere she can practice her yoga. She and Holly used to spend their time together learning some moves from the books she bought from Waterstones. Since Holly joined Severus and Lucius at Hogwarts for the past two weeks, Narcissa has been left to herself.

Perhaps, as she is now residing in Grimmauld Place, she can find a Yoga Studio that Holly informed her of, to attend classes in person.

“Andromeda? Have you ever heard of Yoga?”

Andromeda gives her sister a look of confusion, but before Narcissa can expand further, they are interrupted by a knock on the door.

Nymphadora's voice is heard above them. “Is Regulus expecting you?”

A rougher, hoarse voice replies: “Needed a word with Regulus. Aberforth sent a message.”

Footsteps are heard heading into the kitchen.

Kreacher pops in suddenly, startling both sisters. The House-Elf snarls at the sight of Mundungus Fletcher the moment he appears, while the latter looks scared of the scowling House-Elf.

Regulus and Sirius are quick to come into the kitchen.

“What did you want, Fletcher?” Regulus asks sharply, while Narcissa looks interrogatively at her sister, in search of an explanation.

“Fletcher is unwelcome here,” Andromeda murmurs back. “He’s an opportunist who would steal from Regulus the moment his back is turned. Also, he’s persona non grata when he left Harry to fend for himself when Umbridge’s dementors attacked the boy.”

Narcissa nods her understanding.

“Was in the Hog’s Head. Aberforth ‘as a message for you.”

Regulus snaps impatiently. “Well, what is it?”

“He says try Brazil,” Fletchers says, holding up his hands defensively.

No one misses the way his eyes dart about the kitchen, looking for something to steal, no doubt. Nervously, the unkempt wizard darts a look at Kreacher, who looks like he wants to tear Fletcher apart as a dragon would a dead cow.

“Right,” Regulus nods. “Your talents as an owl are appreciated. Now, get out.”

“All right, all right. I’m going,” Fletcher shakes his head unrepentantly. He’s about to leave when he suddenly turns around and says, “Oh, by the way, I saw Snape in Hogsmeade with Malfoy. Did you know Snape ‘as a sprog? He kept that quiet, din’t he? ”

Sirius laughs as the rest of them freeze.

“Yeah, right. Sniv –”       

“Sirius,” Regulus hisses, cutting his brother off.

Sirius scowls but corrects himself.

“Snape doesn’t have a kid. You must be mistaken.”

“Nah, mate. She looks just like him, see?” Fletcher is quick to defend. “Saw ‘em both with me own eyes.”

“She?” Sirius is incredulous. “He has a daughter?”

Realizing that the situation is turning into a dangerous turn, Regulus intervenes: “Severus’ daughter is none of your business, Fletcher.”

Regulus is only delaying the inevitable; however, Narcissa sees no point in hiding the fact any longer, since Holly is staying in a castle full of students who will be introduced to the girl this evening.

“You should leave now,” Regulus continues, still facing Mundungus.

“Feeling unwanted, now, aren’t I? Got the same heave-ho from ole Snape. At least little Holly was more polite than her old man,” Fletcher grumbles, turning around with Kreacher on his heels.

“Holly?” Sirius asks, looking bemused.

Inexplicably, he looks to Nymphadora, who isn’t able to hide her guilty look in time. Sirius looks confused until he settles his eyes on Regulus’ stoic expression.

“Is this the same Holly Harry mentioned?” Sirius demands, the note of urgency evident in his voice, the consciousness of betrayal flashing on his overshadowed face.

No one dares to answer his question.

 

ooOoo

 

“Can I please go with Aunt Min? Please?”

“Why would you want to see the first years leave the boats?” Severus asks, confused.

Lucius isn’t sure whether he should feel pride or dismay at how easily she lies to her father.

“Well, Aunt Min says the carriages are coming in as well, and Draco’s going to be on the carriages. I wanted to see him before the feast.”

Severus slants a questioning look toward Lucius.

“Holly and I will wait for Draco together,” his companion answers smoothly.

“Please? Holly begs. “I haven’t seen him in ages.”             

 Little did Severus know the ‘him’ in question is actually Potter.

“All right,” Severus concedes in the end, even though he doesn’t look thoroughly convinced.

“Yay!” Holly throws her hands in the air and then around her father, and then he lets his stern eyes betray joy towards the gesture of affection received.

The smile on his friend’s face hurts Lucius.

All other teachers have left the staff room to make their way to the Great Hall to take their places, leaving only Severus, Lucius, Minerva and Dumbledore behind.

 Minerva, behind Severus’ back, looks discomforted before smoothing her expression to her usual stern one. Dumbledore’s gaze looks sorrowful for a brief second before he too smiles as if nothing is out of the ordinary.

Waiting until Severus and Holly have exited the room first, Lucius falls into step with Dumbledore.

“I feel I have lost all respect for Severus,” Lucius whispers to the Headmaster.

With a puzzled air, Dumbledore turns to his newest teacher.

“Why is that?”

“He was supposed to be your spy, Dumbledore,” Lucius responds snappishly, feeling his voice low. “Holly has been with us for almost two months, and your spy hasn’t even found out about Potter or Eileen. I am beginning to doubt Severus’ abilities.”

Dumbledore has the temerity to chuckle.

“The only suspicious thing he mentioned the whole time is not being contacted about Iris's estate,” Lucius scorns, emphasising Iris’s name.

“You cannot deny, Lucius, that come tomorrow, Severus will most definitely be suspicious.”

The blond grimaces at the truth of this.

Dumbledore splits off towards his office to bring down the Sorting Hat. Once on the ground floor, Severus breaks off to head towards the Great Hall, with a huge smile on his face and Lucius, Minerva and Holly head towards the Entrance Hall.

They hide in an out-of-the-way nook, where they can see all the students walking in, but the students can’t see them.

“What are those black horses? Holly comments innocently. “They look like skeletons.”

Minerva and Lucius exchange looks of dismay between them. A child should not be able to see thestrals, but this is a cruel world whose beauty can do nothing to save the innocent. Luckily, the little girl is too distracted to press for an answer.

Holly impatiently scans the faces of everyone, looking for the one she truly wants to see. A swarm of humanity passes them until only a few trickle past, though none are the people they are waiting for.

“Are we doing the right thing, Lucius?” Minerva asks quietly, ensuring Holly cannot hear them.

Lucius is saved from answering immediately when he hears Holly excitedly shout, “There! He’s there!”

She runs out of the nook and down the steps before either can stop her.

 

ooOoo

 

“What are they?” Harry asks, knowing he is holding up the carriage for his friends.

The other fifth-year Prefects for Slytherin, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff have already left, and Harry’s friends insist on staying for the last carriage with him.

“We don’t see anything,” Hermione replies with a look of concern. “The carriages pull themselves like they always do.”

Luna is the only one to assure him. “I see them too, Harry.”

Hermione and Ron give her a sceptical look, knowing that Luna mentions creatures no one else believes in all the time. It’s only when Neville jumps in to confirm he can see them, too, that Ron and Hermione look placated.

“They’re called thestrals,” Neville explains, looking uncomfortable.

Instantly, Harry remembers the creatures from his Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them book: only people who have seen someone die could see the thestrals.

“Oh, I’ve read about them too,” Hermione gasps. “I wish I could see them as well.”

“Do you?” Harry’s voice is bitter as he looks at his friend with eyes full of regret.

Hermione covers her mouth, looking mortified, “Oh, Harry. That’s not what I meant.”

“What?” Ron presses ignorantly.

“To be able to see what a thestral looks like,” Hermione explains, red in the cheeks from the memory of the slip committed, “you have to witness a person die.”

“Why didn’t Harry see them at the end of last year?” Ron asks hesitantly, gesturing for Hermione to climb into the carriage before him.

“I don’t know,” Hermione speculates without an actual response. “Shock, maybe?”

Harry helps Luna climb into the carriage and allows Neville and Ron to get in before him.

No more is said about the thestrals as they head towards the Entrance Hall. The rest of the carriage ride passes in silence. Harry is too wrapped up in warring thoughts of Holly and his friend’s reaction to seeing Lucius Malfoy.

The carriage finally comes to a stop several minutes later. As he was the last one in, Harry is the first to disembark. He steps back to allow Ron and Neville to step down but is distracted by a familiar voice shouting his name.

“Harry!”

He whips his head around so fast that his glasses almost fly off.

“Holly!” he shouts before he even forms the conscious thought to do so.

He runs towards her, and the world seems to have returned to its original balance.

 

ooOoo

 

Lucius briefly sees his son’s face light up as he catches sight of Holly. It is easy for anyone to make the mistake that she is running for Draco. Then, the boy’s face falls in confusion when Holly rushes past him without even seeing him.

Instead, she calls out, “Harry!”

Potter calls her name back, having spotted her immediately.

They only have eyes for each other. All witnesses only have eyes for the running duo, including Lucius and Minerva.

“Does that answer your question?” Malfoy senior remarks in reference to her earlier comment.

“It does,” Minerva smiles weakly. “I should go see to the first years.”

She strides away with one last look that is a cross between concern and delight at the sight before them.

Draco’s confusion deepens, as does Pansy’s, who had met Holly in Malfoy Manor several weeks ago; thinking of it, all the fifth-year prefects look perplexed at the sight.

Draco’s confusion slowly morphs into anger. Lucius steps out of the nook and makes his presence known as he calls for his son before he can interfere.

“What the hell is going on?” Draco erupts furiously as he stumbles towards his father, looking frequently backwards to watch Potter and Holly.

The embracing duo holds each other tightly, ignoring the onlookers around them. Potter is on his knees, holding the girl closely, and she is not in a rush to pull away, either. It is easier to guess from her shaking shoulders that she is crying, probably from a combination of relief and joy at reuniting with her brother.

Potter is the key to the end of the war. He is an undeniable power, no matter what Severus says. Witnessing in that single moment how much she truly means to Potter, Lucius knows then that protecting Holly is fundamental - vital.

“Father!” Draco demands when Lucius doesn’t answer.

“We shall speak of this later, Draco,” Lucius instructs him, placing a hand on his shoulder both in a supportive gesture and to stop him from storming down to Holly and Potter.

Tomorrow, he thinks. He hopes to delay the inevitable until the next day.

For tomorrow is when the dung will hit the Whomping Willow.

 

To be continued...
End Notes:
Wow!!!
I know there’s a lot of stuff that happened in this chapter, and it didn’t even occur to me to split it. Not that I think anyone would have liked me to.
I would like to take a moment to explain why there’s no scene to show what exactly happened between Holly and her Harry boggart. I think it was one of those scenes that’s best left to the imagination and let all of you, my lovely readers, speculate on what Holly’s fears might be.
Instead, I wanted to add to the conspiracy that seems to be happening around our favourite Potions Master. Everyone seems to find themselves in the know whilst he continues to obliviously bask in finally connecting with this daughter.
And, OMG- that little Snape child – how manipulative did she turn out?
Lucius is teetering between pride at her cunning and concern that she’ll break his foster brother’s heart – such a delicate balance of emotions.
I hope I’ve done Holly and Severus’s relationship justice – I know from the comments that many of my readers want a reconciliation between father and daughter, and this chapter attempts to bridge that.
Also, I know that ending with Harry and Holly running to each other is cheesy and cliched – but I don’t care, dammit!!! – They deserve this!!!

Please comment and let me know what you think.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3702