No Bed of Roses by Lady Connor
Summary: Harry met Holly when she was two - abandoned in the park by her mother. Unable to leave her alone, he stayed behind to keep her safe. Over the years, they became as inseparable as brother and sister.
When Harry found out he was a wizard, he was happy to find that Holly was a witch too, and one day, she would enter his new world with him.

Finding out he was a father to a nine-year-old girl, Severus Snape didn't hesitate to bring her home. His daughter belonged by his side, after all. Finding his daughter preferred Harry Potter over him was a travesty the Potions Master was not going to tolerate.

Somehow, Severus had to make his daughter see Harry Potter as he did - worthless, useless, hopeless.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Eileen Prince, Hermione, Lucius, Narcissa, Original Character, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape is Angry, Snape's a Bully, Snape Comforts, Snape is Controlling, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Alternate Universe
Takes Place: 5th summer, 5th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Character Death, Emotional Abuse, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 250666 Read: 82883 Published: 10 Aug 2021 Updated: 15 Apr 2024
That Old Chestnut by Lady Connor
Author's Notes:
An early birthday chapter for one of my fave authors, JAWorley. I hadn't intended to post two chapters so close together, so everyone needs to thank JA and please send her many birthday wishes via reviews
>

Chapter 5- That Old Chestnut

 

Harry knocks on Regulus’ bedroom door and waits for permission to enter. He does not want to be seen by Sirius: he is the least helpful person he can talk to about this. Having just sent his first letter to Holly, Harry has decided to try and do something more. He can’t wait another two years before he sees Holly again. Perhaps he is afraid she will forget him and settle down in a new family; perhaps he is worried she will adopt a new big brother.

            Regulus opens the door and expresses his surprise to see Harry standing there.

            “You all right, Harry?” he asks in concern, opening the door to let him in. Harry glances around to see if someone is coming and ducks into the room.

            Regulus immediately realises something is wrong and closes the door firmly. He is not surprised when Harry asks him to put on a Silencing Charm. The same one the Order utilises to keep out unwanted listeners.

           

ooOoo


Regulus can see that Harry is nervous about something and cannot help but be concerned, having become fond of the boy. He had not expected this when he had replied to Harry’s letter two years ago. He had not expected to keep writing to the boy. However, he does not regret doing so: Harry gave him his brother back, and for this, he will always be grateful.

            Regulus makes Harry sit on his bed whilst he takes his chair and angles to see Harry and rest his legs on his desk simultaneously. It is his casual way of getting Harry to relax and open up to Regulus about what has been bothering him recently. Apart from the obvious, witnessing Voldemort’s resurrection and the subsequent wand fight that followed (that he had witnessed the end of), the death of a classmate and being attacked by Dementors.

            Regulus is somehow honoured that Harry has chosen to confide in him rather than Sirius. He waits whilst the boy gathers his thoughts.

            “I need your help,” Harry starts. “But you can’t tell anyone what I’m about to tell you. It’s essential that you don’t.”

            Regulus cautiously agrees.

            “As long as it doesn’t put you in danger,” he stipulates.

            Harry is quick to assure him, “It doesn’t.”

            “All right,” Regulus nods.

            Then, Regulus listens with mounting incredulity to the whole tale. Meeting Holly and Iris in the park. Getting to know them. Finding out he was a wizard, Iris telling him she knew about Hogwarts. Finding out Iris was a witch, that she was Eileen Snape, and that Holly was Snape’s daughter. Regulus waits until Harry is finished before focusing on some things that Harry is purposely leaving out.

            Regulus takes his feet off the desk and turns to face Harry properly. Some things that Harry hinted at but didn’t outright state. Regulus has been through something similar to know the signs. 

            “Harry, I’m going to ask you one question, and I want you to answer honestly. Promise?”

            Harry gives him a confused nod.

            “How badly do your relatives hurt you?”

            Regulus has purposely asked an open-ended question so that Harry cannot give an instant denial. He can already guess, given how the boy’s face has blanched.

            “Answer honestly, Harry. Please.”

            He does not say anything as he seems to weigh up his decision. Regulus patiently waits it out. He knows how difficult it is to trust something with a secret of this magnitude.

Seeming to have come to a decision, Harry stands up and turns around. He pulls his t-shirt up, exposing his back to Regulus, who clenches his fists in anger and slowly gets up from his chair to approach him. Gently, he tugs down his t-shirt’, turns the boy so Harry faces him and puts his hands on the boy’s shoulders, pulling and pulling him into an embrace.

            “Thank you for trusting me,” Regulus says into his hair. “I won’t let you go back there. Okay? No matter what. I won’t let you stay with them ever again. You understand?”            

            Harry slowly puts his arms around Regulus and nods into his chest. He holds the boy for a moment longer and then lets him go, sitting down on the bed, patting it for Harry to sit next to him.

            Harry does so. Regulus does not push any further about Harry’s relatives at that moment, though he wants to ask a million questions – Questions like, How long has this been going on? How often? How is he still a good person?

            Regulus’ mother was not the kindest of people and often cursed her sons when they did not comply. Regulus and Sirius carried their own scars – Not all were physical. When his mother passed away, Regulus made sure to burn her bloody portrait. Kreacher had been devastated by this, but he had managed to win his House-Elf around. It helped that Regulus saved Kreacher’s life once, the same way he later saved his master’s life.

            Regulus pushes all this aside to focus on the problem Harry came to him with. A part of him wants to laugh at the irony of life: Harry Potter has managed to befriend Severus Snape’s daughter. Only Harry could have this sort of luck.

            “I suppose the reason you came to me with this, instead of Sirius, is because of his irrational hatred of everything Snape-related?”

            “Partially,” Harry admits. “You were friends with Snape.”

            Regulus nods.

            “How did you find out about Iris and Eileen being the same person?” he questions curiously.

            “When I was researching about Sirius in third year. I just found it weird when everyone kept telling me not to go after Sirius. I just didn’t understand why they kept saying it like that – Like there was something personal. So, I started doing some research and found out it was because Sirius was mates with my dad. Then, I kept looking for other things, like people’s families, and that’s how I found out about you. Then I looked up the Malfoys because they were related to you. Then I read that The Malfoys fostered Snape. And then I found out that Snape’s mum was a Prince – I recognised her from her old picture. I knew it was Oma.”

            “You never told Iris you knew?”

            “No.”

            “Why not?”

            Harry turns to face Regulus properly, propping one leg on the bed.

            “Oma helped me more than anyone else on Privet Drive. When I got hurt, she healed me. When I was hungry, she made sure I had something to eat. She gave me my first birthday present and my first Christmas present. She made me feel like I wasn’t an orphan. It was the happiest feeling in the world for me when I found out that I didn’t have to hide being a wizard from her.

            “I remember when I asked her if her son was Holly’s father and, Regulus, I’ve never seen her look so afraid. She said one day I would find out the whole truth. I know she was planning to tell me about Snape. I truly believe that. When I found out that he was her son, I didn’t care. I cared about Oma and Holly: They were more important than Snape.”

            Regulus heaves a great sigh and stands up. Harry turns on the bed to follow his movements.

            “What do you want to do then?”

            “I sent Holly a letter with Hedwig before I came here, give or take a couple of hours ago. I know, I know. I shouldn’t have done that. She’s probably with muggles, and Dumbledore still has an owl ban,” Harry repeats this as if he is afraid that Regulus will tell him off, but he has no intention of doing so.      “Regulus, she’s all by herself,” Harry’s tone turns imploring. “Oma’s gone. I’m not there for her. She has no one to turn to. I had to send Hedwig to let her know I’m still thinking of her. She’s… she’s all alone.”

“You care about her?” Regulus asks.

Harry’s answer is simple and doesn’t take long. “She’s my sister.”

Severus’ daughter is Harry’s sister, Regulus thinks. He cannot help but snort at the thought. Then, all at once, the laughter begins to bubble out.

“What?” Harry asks warily.

“Severus’ daughter is your sister,” Regulus shakes his head once he can control himself. “That makes Severus your dad as well.”

Regulus can barely get the sentence out as the giggles overcome him again.

He is rewarded with a face full of pillow. Regulus catches it before it falls to the ground, still laughing, and throws it back at Harry, sinking back into the chair by the desk.

“It’s funny, Harry,” he insists while Harry snarls half-heartedly.

Harry waits impatiently for Regulus to get a grip.

Regulus clears his throat but still smiles as he asks, “What do you want me to do?”

“Is there no way to bring Holly here? She’s a witch, so it’s not like we’d be breaking the Statute of Secrecy. And, maybe… she can stay with you?”

When Regulus does not immediately answer, Harry quickly carries on, “Or – or you can tell Snape that he has a daughter, and maybe he’ll go get her.”

Regulus is on the verge of revealing to him that Severus already knows but holds back. Instead, he looks at Harry sympathetically, “If Severus goes to her, you’ll most likely never see her. It’s not like she can stay at Hogwarts during term time. And if Severus finds out you two have known each other from before, do you truly think he’s going to let you see each other?”

Severus and Regulus may not be the greatest of friends, but he is not blind to Severus’s irrational hatred of Harry Potter, as unfair as it is. In that sense, Severus and Sirius are no different from each other. Neither are Harry and Severus, in some ways, Regulus reflects, thinking of the scars on Harry’s back.

“You’re worried about her, aren’t you?”

“I told you. She’s alone. She has no one to trust. If people keep annoying her, she’ll lose her temper: it’s hard for her.”

Regulus finds himself snorting in laughter again. “She definitely sounds like a Snape,”

Harry rolls his eyes at him but shakes his head in amusement as well.

This time, it doesn’t take Regulus long to calm down.

“I’ll try and bring her here, but I’ll have to explain everything to Dumbledore. He is the Secret Keeper, and he’ll need to know,” Regulus points out.

Harry looks like he will argue but concedes that Dumbledore’s assent is essential.

“Thanks.”

After Harry has left, after giving him all the information he could, Regulus wonders about where Holly was supposed to be taken and why he didn’t just tell him that Severus has already received a letter informing him about his daughter. It would relieve his mind greatly to know that. Regulus knows that Severus has been looking for his daughter since the end of term, but he doesn’t know how Severus is progressing in his search. Perhaps he should find out.

First, he needs to speak to Dumbledore.

 

ooOoo

 

Lucius is sitting in the family parlour with a book titled Breaking down a syllabus for Idiot Teenagers Who Think They Know Everything, preparing to be a teacher, when the Manor wards alert him to the arrival of Narcissa, Severus and his daughter. Lucius’s lips twitch every time he thinks of Severus’s daughter.

            He can’t wait to meet her.

            He immediately snaps his book shut and places it on the table piled with books next to him, all selected on how to be an effective teacher. He needs a different persona to Severus but manage to scare his students into fearing him.

            “Hokey,” Lucius calls, standing up.

            The House-Elf appears immediately.

            “Go to Draco’s room and tell him our new guest has arrived,” he orders.

            “Yes, Master,” the Elf bows and pops away.

            Lucius makes his way to the Guest entrance. It’s not used all year round, only on occasions when the Malfoys throw a party for Christmas or whatever other special occasion they wish to celebrate. For security reasons, anyone who arrives via apparition would appear at the gates, and a carriage would be waiting to take them to the Hall. Only people keyed into the wards could Floo anywhere in the Manor; otherwise, guests Flooing in would be directed to the specially prepared Conservatory. Lucius had spent many days unkeying several people from his wards after the betrayal of the Dark Lord.

            They do not know if Holly is aware of magic, so she is being brought by car to a location not far from the gates; from there, it is a deceptively short walk to the gates, where a carriage is already waiting for them.

            Severus has already made up a room for Holly in the self-contained apartment he has lived in for years. He has refused to buy any clothes or toys yet, preferring to take the girl with him and shop for things together – an element of pragmatism that Narcissa is vexed about. Instead, she would rather go out and buy anything she thinks is suitable for a young lady, hang practicality, and hang the cost. Lucius had to stop her from strangling Severus for his choice not to spoil his daughter, though it shouldn’t surprise him, given that he is never one for indulgence or waste. Lucius believes it is due to his upbringing with his brute father, Tobias.

            Lucius gets to the Guest entrance first. The carriage comes into sight just as Draco comes up behind,  dressed in his best formal clothes: smart black trousers, a white button-down shirt, and a black waistcoat. His father is similarly dressed, but his button-down is a pale blue.

            Draco is smirking.

            “How old is she again?”

            “Nine,” Lucius answers.

            “At least he won’t have to worry about nappies and nightly feedings,” Draco chuckles. “Pity. I would have liked to see Uncle Sev change a nappy.”

            It seems like Draco, too, is looking forward to having fun at Severus’s expense.

            The carriage draws near. Lucius and Draco walk down the steps to meet it, and as it comes to a stop, the older wizard moves to the door and opens it, holding out a hand for Narcissa to alight first. She lifts her skirt with one hand and carefully steps down whilst using her other to support herself with Lucius’ hand, who watches her sombre expression worriedly.

            Ah, he thinks, things have not gone well.

He and Narcissa take a step back as Severus gets out of the carriage, then turns around to reach for his daughter. He beckons for her hand and tells her in a low voice to come to him.

Lucius has not seen her yet.

“What’s happened?” he whispers. “Did she not react well to magic?”

“Quite the opposite – She was fine with magic. In fact, she knows she’s a witch, just like her mother. She did not, however, react well with Severus.”

Narcissa keeps her voice soft.

Lucius is about to speak again, but, seeing Severus turn away with a frustrated look, he steps aside and looks at Narcissa for help. He can feel his eyebrows rise at this. Narcissa switches places with Severus.

“Skittish, is she?” Lucius drawls in a quiet tone.

Severus shakes his head but does not look at him. Lucius, instead, exchanges a look with Draco, somewhat confused.

“Come on, darling. You can’t want to stay out here all night. Soon, it will be cold. We’ll go inside, where it’s warm. We have your room ready, and we have a huge feast waiting for you. You can tell us all about yourself.”

The girl remains stubbornly inside the carriage, and it takes Narcissa several minutes to coax her out. Then, she steps back, and Lucius thinks she has finally succeeded until Narcissa drops her hand.

Holly steps up to the carriage door, looking fragile and miserable, clutching her bag to her chest as if she is afraid it will be snatched away. Lucius is forcibly reminded that the girl is grieving. They might be excited that Severus’s long lost daughter is joining their family. Still, Holly has lost her grandmother, her only guardian in her old world, and she’s been thrust into a literally different world with a father she has never met.

She looks like Severus in his first year, a little lost and overwhelmed: she has his black hair and dark eyes, though thankfully, she does not have his hooked nose.

Lucius feels an overwhelming need to take her in his arms, hold her close, and protect her from harm. He wants to whisk her into the Manor and never let her go again, to wipe that desolate look from her eyes and see her smile.

Holly ignores Narcissa and jumps from the carriage, landing lightly on her feet on the hard ground. She waits there and tenses when Narcissa places a hand on her shoulder, touching her lightly.

Lucius does not like the sad look painted on his wife’s face.

Draco steps forward to close the carriage door and then presents himself before Holly, leaning down to her level and introducing himself.

“I’m Draco.”

            He even attempts to smile, though he is unnerved by the whole situation.

            Apart from looking at his face, she ignores him, preferring to lower her gaze to her shoes.

            “I can carry your bag for you,” Draco offers, reaching out to take it from her.

            Holly instinctively backs away from him, turning to the right to avoid his hand.

            A little frustrated, Draco moves away, looking at Lucius in askance.

            He takes his son’s place, and pasting a smile on his face, he gets down on one knee in front of her.

            “Pleased to meet you, Holly. I’m glad we found you at last. I’m your Uncle Lucius. If you ever have problems with your father, you come to me.”

            Holly whispers her first words with desolate determination. “He’s not my father.”

            Severus clears his throat.

            “We’ll go inside. Come, Holly, I’ll show you your room.”

            Lucius stands up, offering his elbow to Narcissa, who takes it. No one moves until Severus takes the first awkward step towards the entrance.

            “Dinner will be served in half an hour,” Lucius tells them.

            He wants to join them as they show Holly her new room. Although Severus’s apartment is entirely self-contained, it can still be accessed from the Manor. When Severus does not want visitors, even from the family, he simply raises the wards so that no one can access them. He still has this option, but since Holly is moving in, her bedroom will technically be in Malfoy Manor rather than Severus’s space: Narcissa intends to be a big part of Holly’s life, whether Severus plans for it or not.

Draco follows Lucius into the Dining room. There is still time before the evening meal is served. Lucius and Draco sit in their usual seats a little earlier than they normally would.

            “What was that about?”

            Lucius looks at his son, who seems perplexed.

            “I’d wager it was the result of an acrimonious breakup,” Lucius offers.

            Draco looks partway through, hesitant and incredulous. “Was it really that bad?”

            “This is your godfather we’re talking about, Draco. What do you think?”

            He grimaces in understanding. Severus has never been the easiest of people: if he can tolerate someone, he will make an effort to be polite – he has never been able to network like Lucius. He tries to recall when was the last time Severus attended a party where he needed to make connections: around 1986, he thinks. Not long after he broke up with Jasmine. In fact, Severus might have only dated one or two girls before he gave up altogether.

            Lucius only met Jasmine a handful of times after he had searched his memories to place her. Curiously, she was also the one who had lasted the longest – Months instead of Severus’ usual weeks. Lucius thinks this was because of her looks: Red hair and green eyes, which seems to be Severus’s signature. He isn’t aware of this, but Lucius always investigates any girl Severus dates to ensure there are no surprises in the closet. Not just on their family line: they have to watch out for anyone who wants to use Severus just for his money. Gold diggers or mud rakers.

One witch was a budding journalist who, after Severus had gained his Mastery and published his first essay on the uses of Wolfsbane, had begun to look into the wizard’s past for a scandal. Lucius had ensured that the witch would never attempt such a thing again. In fact, after Lucius had dealt with her, she had abruptly decided that journalism was not for her.

            There was nothing in Jasmine’s background that screamed gold digger or user, despite her ambitions to work in the Minister’s office. Lucius might even have approved of Jasmine Pierce if she hadn’t been a Mudblood. However, he should dig into her file: something odd tickles Lucius’s mind about Holly and Jasmine. Maybe reading her file, which he will have to look for, will jog his memory.

            Draco sits there looking bored as Lucius tries to remember where his files are placed. He is confident he has not destroyed them: his father had taught him never to destroy even the most innocuous of information. One never knows when the need might strike.

            Lucius is mentally walking through his study, trying to place each location, when Severus walks in alone. This jolts him back to the Dining room while Draco sits up with interest: he knows not to disturb Father when he is mentally on the hunt for something.

            Draco gives Severus an impatient look. “Well?”

            Studying Severus closely, Lucius sees the strain in his friend’s eyes.

            “Where is the rest of her things?” Lucius chooses this topic as it seems safer at the moment. “Surely, everything she has cannot be in that bag.”

            Holly might have indicated she knew about magic, but Narcissa and Severus could not have used their wands whilst still in the muggle areas. It is feasible they could have shrunk her things whilst in the carriage, but Lucius recalls the possessive way she held her bag.

            “When children are taken away from their home, they usually are only allowed to pack one or two bags, especially until they are permanently placed. Whatever she has in that bag is what she was allowed to take with her,” Severus explains. “Her grandmother’s estate is still being handled. Most likely, I’ll get a letter about what to do with the rest of her things.”

            “She’s been moving from house to house for close to four weeks,” Lucius points out. “She can’t have much.”

            Severus sighs.

            “I’ll have to buy her a new wardrobe anyway.”

            “So, what has been her reaction to magic?” Draco interrupts. “She seems to be okay with it.”

            “We brought up the topic of magic on the walk to the gates. She already seems to know. She told Narcissa that her ‘Oma’ already told her about it.”

            “She told Narcissa?” Lucius picks up on this point.

            “She hates me,” Severus says miserably. “She won’t look at me or let me help her. She barely acknowledges me. Narcissa is helping her freshen up for dinner. I thought it best to make myself absent.”

            Lucius nods. Severus will have to work hard to win his daughter’s trust. To reverse whatever damage her mother had inflicted. Lucius would also have to pay attention to his words around the girl. He gives his son a sideward glance: he, too, would need to watch what he says.

            “Draco, you will sit next to Severus today,” Lucius suggests. “Given her aversion to you, Severus, perhaps it is best to let Narcissa act as mediator.”

            Draco gets up from his seat and moves across the dining table to sit next to his godfather.

            “Have you managed to get much information at least?”

            In answer, Severus pulls out a small manila folder, shrunken to the size of a deck of cards. With his wand, he unshrinks it and pushes it towards Lucius.

            “Have you read through it already?”

            Severus nods. “In the muggle car. I sat with the driver whilst Narcissa and Holly sat in the back. I took the opportunity to review it then.”

            Lucius does not doubt that Severus has already memorised it. He flips it open and studies the first page: It is Holly’s Birth Certificate.

            It has all the usual information.

            Name of child: Holly Pierce

Gender: Female

Date:  5 May 1986

Place of birth: Maternity Unit

            Mother’s name: Jasmine Pierce

            Place of birth: Manchester Royal Infirmary.

Occupation:  Unemployed

Father’s name: Severus Snape

Place of Birth: Spinner’s End

Occupation: Teacher

Lucius is surprised that Severus’ place of birth is listed. Then again, Jasmine knew enough about him to try and see his father, Tobias. He peruses the other documents: Jasmine has a Death Certificate dated 30 April 1990. The Cause of Death is listed as smoke inhalation from a house fire.

            Something about it stirs Lucius's memory. Putting it aside for now, he looks through the rest of the paperwork: Jasmine’s mother, Iris Pierce, gets custody of her granddaughter. Lucius finishes inspecting the documents and snatching one Draco has stolen.

            “I was reading that,” he protests vehemently.

            Lucius clouts him and hands it all back to Severus, who, ignoring Draco’s scowl, shrinks it down and puts it away in his pocket.

            Hokey pops into the room and bows down.

            “Mistress Narcissa and Missy Holly have left Missy Holly’s room, sir. Does Master want dinner to be served now?”

            “Yes, Hokey. Start bringing up the food,” Lucius dismisses.

            Hokey does not disappear straight away. Instead, he turns to Severus and asks, “Is Master Severus still wanting-”

            “Yes, yes, Hokey. Just do as I asked,” Severus snaps impatiently.

            Hokey nods and leaves.

            “Special dish?” Lucius queries in interest.

            “Something like that,” the other says vaguely. His attention is on the door, waiting for Narcissa and Holly to enter.

            A few minutes later, the duo walks into the Dining room and take their seats. Seeing the change in seating, Narcissa gives Lucius a discreet nod of approval. First, she pulls out Holly’s chair for the little, ensuring she is seated but sitting in the chair next to her. Lucius still sits at the head of the table as the family patriarch and his wife sits to his right.

            Lucius is disappointed as Holly shows no reaction to the food suddenly appearing, aside from a slight jump. She’s muggle raised, he thinks. Where’s the wonder?

            Holly stares at the food in front of her without interest, her hands resting on either side of her plate.

            Lucius begins to serve himself, leaving Narcissa to look after Holly. Severus does not move to eat, but Draco starts to serve himself, watching everyone hesitantly. Narcissa asks Holly what she would like to try first.

            “Here, try some of this Shepherd’s pie first,” Narcissa continues when Holly does not acknowledge this.

            The meal is spent in awkward silence. No one is eating much. Hoping to arouse her curiosity, Lucius deliberately engages Draco in conversation.

            “How have your Potions classes been this year, Draco?”

            Draco jumps to fill the uncomfortable silence.

            “Good. Really good. Uncle Sev has been giving extra pointers on how to improve my essays for next year since it’s OWL's year,” he begins to ramble.

            Narcissa interrupts smoothly and begins to explain to Holly, “Potions is one of the core classes offered to Hogwarts school. You will attend there yourself. You receive your letter on your 11th birthday. Draco has a natural talent for Potions that Severus has nurtured since he was your age. Your father, of course, is the Potions Master at Hogwarts. No doubt one day he will begin teaching you the subject himself soon.”

            “He’s not my father,” Holly states in a cold voice, not looking up from her plate, which she has yet to touch.

            Lucius catches Severus’s flinch at Holly’s words.

            Narcissa does not let this deter her and continues as if the interruption didn’t occur, “OWLs stand for Ordinary Wizarding Level examinations, that every witch and wizard must pass at the end of their fifth year. They are essential qualifications.”

            Lucius resumes the conversation again. “I hope your Transfiguration marks have improved.”

            “Theo said he would tutor me,” Draco responds in a smaller voice.

            “Charms?”

            “Borderline E.”

            “Defense Against the Dark Arts?”

            “A.”

            “Herbology?”

            “A.”

            Lucius and Draco continue back and forth until he has interrogated his son on all his subjects. Of course, Lucius had already seen his son’s results. Unlike OWL's and NEWT’s scores, usually sent out during the middle of summer, final examinations marked by teachers themselves are announced before the year's end.

            “I do hope you have already started your summer homework,” Lucius says in strict tones.

            He can tell by the pinkening of his cheeks that his son has not. Glancing surreptitiously at Holly, he can see she has not started eating.

            “No more flying until your first two assignments are completed,” Lucius announces.

            Draco splutters in irritation. “That’s not fair.”

            Lucius raises an imperious brow at his son.

            “Is the food not to your liking?” Severus ignores Draco’s attitude. He has barely touched his own, taking no more than a few forkfuls before returning his full attention to his daughter.

            “You’ll have to let us know what you like to eat most,” Narcissa smiles down at her.

            Holly reaches for the juice Narcissa poured for her, taking a few sips. No matter how much she tempts her, Holly refuses to eat her food.

            “Can I go upstairs?” the girl asks several minutes later.

            Narcissa instantly agrees, abandoning her food and taking her back upstairs.

            The second they clear the door, Lucius looks to Severus and demands, “Why is Narcissa upset? What else has happened?”

            Severus looks like he is going to refute this, but Lucius glares him down.

            Draco spears a roasted carrot and slowly brings it to his lips as he stares between his father and godfather.

            “Holly might have mentioned something that has offended Narcissa.”

            “What is that?” Lucius presses.

            Severus remains stubbornly silent, and Lucius can feel his ire rising. They continue their meal in silence. No doubt Narcissa will tell him later what else has transpired. He has noticed that Narcissa has been quiet towards Severus, but, at first, he attributed it to Holly’s reticence. However, he began to notice her cold tone when she referred to Severus earlier regarding his position as a teacher.

            When Narcissa returns, almost ten minutes later, she looks concerned and fatigued.

            “She’s already fallen asleep,” she announces, resuming her seat. She picks up her fork and then puts it down again. “I find it curious that she fell asleep so quickly, in a new environment to boot, when the woman from the Care Home told us Holly struggles to sleep.”

            Lucius notices her gaze on Severus, and his heart sinks as he realises what he must have done.

            Severus fidgets under Narcissa’s blazing eyes: she is a sight to behold when in a temper. Despite only knowing her a few hours, she is interested in Holly, but her protective instincts have awakened, and very little can calm her down. Lucius can try, but his methods are not suitable for an audience.

            “I asked Hokey to add a few drops of Milk Thistle to her juice,” Severus confesses reluctantly and visibly braces himself for the consequences of his actions.

            Narcissa’s voice is artic cold. “You drugged your daughter?”

            Lucius stays silent, torn between wanting to slink away so as not to be caught in the maelstrom and watching as she is ready to shred Severus like a goblin strips gold from a wizard. He also admits to getting a little aroused at the sight of her flashing eyes.

            “For Morgana’s sake, Severus, I warned you dosing children is not the way when you drugged Draco so he would leave you alone.”

WHAT?” Draco cries in indignation but is unceremoniously ignored by his mother.

“That child already does not trust you, and you think slipping her Milk Thistle will help?”

“She needs rest. It wouldn’t have worked so quickly unless she didn’t need sleep,” Severus tries to defend himself.

“What was your plan? Hope she wakes up well-rested in the morning, forgetting that she hates you?”

“I just wanted … I just wanted to help her,” he replies, defeated.

“You are far from doing anything for her, and drugging her against her will, will do you no favours. What if she finds out? She hasn’t even touched her food. What if she stops eating entirely because she’s afraid you’ll dose something again? Where will you stop? Today it’s just Milk Thistle: if she continues in her aversion for you, will you dose her with some sort of Compulsion Potion?”

            Severus pales at the accusation but dares to argue back.

            “I would never do that,” he bites out in an icy tone.

            “So you say, Severus, so you say. You already have fences to mend with your daughter. Who knows what else her mother has told her about you.”

            Lucius finds himself holding his breath: They are getting to the fundamental matter now.

            “Care to venture what else Jasmine might have said to her daughter about you?” Narcissa asks pointedly.

            She seems to have found the words so abhorrent that she does not want to repeat them. Lucius finds himself impatient to hear them.

            Severus darts a glance at Draco, but Narcissa promptly catches this too.

            “No need to hide something from your godson,” she derides.

            “I didn’t mean it,” but his protests are weak.

“You’re a liar, Severus Snape. And since you’re so ashamed that you can’t bear to repeat it, though you were not ashamed to think the words in the first place, let alone say them out loud, I will tell your godson precisely what you said about the witch who bore your child.

            “Severus, apparently unable to break up with a witch without hostility, told Jasmine that she is nothing more than a bed-hopping slut. A phrase that she had no issue with repeating to her daughter. A phrase that has impacted that innocent child so much that it’s the first thing she says to her father.”

            Lucius winces, grasping the reason for Narcissa’s fury and the seriousness of the situation. She had never approved of his temporary relationships, not because she was a prude, but because Severus could never end any of his relationships without creating a spiteful atmosphere – Come to think of it, it was probably why he backed off from dating. The wizarding world is small, and bitter words spread faster than a Niffler after shiny trinkets.

            “And you,” she turns her attention to Draco, who is startled at the sudden attention of his livid mother and gives her a panicked look.

            “If I ever hear you have treated a witch that way, I will yank out your tongue and feed it to hippogriffs,” Narcissa threatens.

            Draco squeaks in terror and nods frantically.

            “Now, go to your room,” she orders.

            Draco pushes back his chair so fast that it falls backwards with a loud crash. He runs away without a back glance for fear of more threats.

            Severus is too ashamed to look them both in the eye and too frozen to dare make a move. Lucius himself dares not breathe.

            The three sit there for several minutes as Narcissa composes herself. She stands up abruptly and pushes her chair back with slow, deliberate movements, excusing herself in a distant voice and leaving the room once more.

            The food the House-Elves have prepared is practically untouched; Holly was not the only one without appetite tonight.

            Lucius finally lets the tension drain out and lets out a weary sigh, eyeing critically Severus, who has slumped back in his chair in misery: he is so withdrawn that he does not dare let anyone see his vulnerability. On one level, Lucius and Narcissa are honoured that Severus drops his guard for them, given everything he has been through; on another level, he exposes himself to criticism that he only lets Narcissa get away with. They have mutual respect in that regard.

            Lucius often finds himself biting his tongue to keep peace with his best friend and brother in all but blood.

            Still, Lucius will occasionally hand out little gems of wisdom such as, “You sabotage yourself, friend.”

            Wisdom delivered, Lucius also leaves and goes to his bedroom, where Narcissa is already getting ready for bed, despite the ridiculously early hour.

            He spends the rest of the evening and half the night calming his wife down. Evidence of this can be found over his body the following day.

 

ooOoo

 

Albus is very rarely caught off guard. Even when he is, he has learned to understand, adapt, and move on. Balancing education and politics has not been easy, but he has succeeded, though he is aware that he has made many mistakes and dropped the quaffle more times than he should have.

            Eileen’s unexpected death has been a devastating distraction. One more thing to juggle. On top of looking after the school, dealing with Cornelius, bringing the Order together, devising a plan of action and attempting to thwart whatever plan Voldemort is putting in place.

            Albus does not doubt that Voldemort is currently licking his wounds, so to speak, from the double blow of not only failing to kill Harry Potter (for the third time) but also losing half his forces before his second reign of terror has even begun.

            Gaining Lucius Malfoy as an ally is not what Albus expected. He knows that Severus trusts the man to look out for himself and his family and agrees with this assessment. Lucius has always been a slippery snake, slithering back to his den when danger is near. In fact, the Malfoys have a habit of landing on their feet. Albus welcomes them as allies, but he does not necessarily have to trust them. Now, having Lucius as a Defence Against the Dark Arts professor is an unpredicted, but not unwelcome, surprise. If Lucius plans on surviving the war with his family intact, he will certainly need to train this generation with the crucial skills. Thwarting Umbridge’s attempt to harm Harry and the school further – Lucius has undoubtedly proven his worth.

            At least, Albus does not have to worry about recruiting for the position yet again –until next year, he thinks wryly.

            Finding out that Eileen has been alive all these years was a boon. Finding Eileen with Severus’ daughter was a surprise. Finding Eileen living so close to Harry Potter and knowing that she practically raised him was a shock that Albus is still trying to assimilate.

            It would have been a delicate balance, but Albus had already started the beginning of a plan to make Severus aware of the fact that his mother was alive and taking care of his daughter. When Eileen told him she was dying but estimated she had a year, Albus had first enchanted one of the gadgets to monitor her health. Albus’s first instinct that Eileen had lied about her health had been correct. However, he had momentarily doubted himself until he had seen Severus’s letter informing him of his daughter's existence. Then, Albus had received his letter from Eileen that evening: she had certainly explained a few things to him and made a few requests of her own, including delaying Severus’s attempts to find his daughter. Albus is usually better at predicting human nature; Eileen had momentarily turned him upside down.

            And now, he discovers that Harry has done the same.

            The boy has been so very different from what Albus expected him to be. When Arabella had informed him over the years of the Dursley’s treatment of Harry, he had asked for proof to get him out of there permanently. Arabella had never done so, so Albus had dismissed her concerns as being overprotective.

            Harry was better adjusted than Albus had anticipated, despite Arabella’s claims. He was intelligent, charming, easy-going, and one of the kindest souls Albus has seen in one hundred and fourteen years. Despite what Severus thinks, Harry is not James.

            Once Harry entered Hogwarts, Albus has kept a closer eye on the boy than he ever imagined. Albus never accounted for Eileen, and he has been glad for her influence on Harry; though he could be wrong, he also feels the boy influenced Elieen.

            Harry has a way of bringing people together, a power he is endearingly unaware of. A natural leader. Also, a master researcher and keeper of secrets, apparently.

            “So, Harry is fully aware that Eileen and Iris were the same person?”

            “Yes.” Regulus accompanies his affirmative with a nod.

            “And he also knows that Holly is Severus’s daughter?”

            “That too, yes.”

            “He wants Holly to be brought into Grimmauld Place?”

            “Or for Severus to find her and take her in,” Regulus adds.

            Albus falls silent as he cogitates on it all.

            “Harry said Holly already knows about magic,” Regulus adds when the silence lingers longer than Albus intends for it to.

            He still doesn’t answer as he ruminates on it all again.

            “I know Severus has started looking for his daughter. Has he had much luck?”

            Severus had, in fact, found his daughter and retrieved her earlier that day. Albus knows this because he had allowed him to. Eileen had requested that Albus have Holly moved around to distance the young girl from where she and Holly had resided. Although Albus knew this was only delaying the inevitable, he acquiesced, silently apologising to the little girl suffering due to his decision. He hoped Eileen knew what she was doing.

            “Severus has not confirmed that he has found her yet,” Albus answers. Which is true. “From our last brief meeting, he told me he was having trouble locating her.” Because of me, he thinks.

            Albus can see that Regulus is getting impatient, so he finally answers the younger wizard's question, “I do not see why Holly cannot come to Headquarters. However, Severus is also looking for her, and you know he has little reason to bring her to your home.”

            “Well, yes. He’ll take her to Malfoy Manor,” Regulus agrees, and Albus can see the beginnings of a smile.

            “The important matter is that young Holly is taken away from wherever the muggle services have placed her. Eileen would much prefer her granddaughter not to suffer. For the moment, Severus shouldn't find out that Eileen was alive and her relationship with Harry.”

            Regulus agrees with this instantly: Severus’ dislike for Harry Potter is not something the Potions Master is quiet about.            

            “Do you think Severus will keep her hidden away? To protect her?” he asks.

            “We cannot deny that possibility,” Albus admits, causing Regulus to frown.

            “It’ll devastate Harry if he can’t ever see her again.”

            Albus heaves a sigh.

            “So far, the only people who know the existence of Holly’s connection to Severus are you and I, Severus himself, of course, Harry and the Malfoys. I would say that Draco is included in that, as he still resides in Malfoy Manor. Harry’s friends do not know of the connection?”

            “Harry says he hasn’t told them, and I get the feeling he’s reluctant to tell them that angle. They know she exists. They have met her in the past,” Regulus explains.

            Albus reaches for a piece of parchment and a quill which he dips into the inkwell. He jots down the address for Arabella with a little guilt: he knows he is sending Regulus on a wild Snorkack hunt.

            “This is Arabella Figg’s address,” Albus hands over the parchment. “She will provide you with the information you’ll need to track Holly down. Once you’ve located her, we will begin making plans to get her away from the muggle services she is with. We will deal with what we need to tell Severus if you locate her before he does, though bear in mind he has an advantage. If she is with Severus before you find her, then you’ll have to leave her, I’m afraid.”

            Regulus nods but is pleased that Albus has allowed this.

            “One more thing, Headmaster,” Regulus says, turning before reaching the door. “Harry’s not going back to the Dursleys. Ever.”

            “How bad is it?” Albus asks, feeling a rare shiver of fear.

            “He has scars. They whipped him until he was left with scars,” Regulus says grimly. “I’m not letting him go back.”

            “I already promised someone else that I will not allow Harry to return,” Albus confesses. “I have unfortunately already had to break that promise given Voldemort’s return. I regret the time he had to spend there whilst grieving the death of Mr Diggory and Eileen. It was unavoidable until I managed all other … I promise you, Regulus. Come the end of summer, Harry will not be returning to Privet Drive.”

            Regulus leaves, relieved and satisfied. As soon as he leaves his office, Albus quickly writes another note to Arabella explaining she will be receiving a visit from Regulus and what actions she needs to take.

            “Fawkes,” Albus calls as he folds up the parchment.

            His familiar appears in a flash.

            “I need you to deliver this to Arabella, my friend.”

            Fawkes squawks and disappears in another flash of fire.

            “Oh, Eileen. Am I only making a mess in supporting you?”

 

ooOoo

Harry is happy to see Hedwig return with his letter to Holly.

            “You found her, Hedwig?” he checks.

            Hedwig gives him a happy bark, flying around his head before settling in his lap.

            “You’re brilliant, Hedwig,” Harry praises, and his owl preens.

            “I won’t always have a letter. Just go out any time you need to – You know, to check on her. To let her know she’s not alone.”

            Harry is happy that Hedwig found Holly and managed to give his letter. He spoils her by feeding her more owl treats than he usually does.

            “We’ll bring her back,” he vows fiercely.

            Hedwig nips his fingers in agreement.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3702