In Somnis Veritas by myramcqueen
Summary: When 11 year old Harry Potter arrives at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, there is something very familiar about the dour Potions Master sitting at the teacher's table. Where has Harry seen him before, and what does it mean?

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 38016 Read: 84065 Published: 27 Nov 2021 Updated: 26 May 2022
Chapter 19 by myramcqueen

Harry had spent the hour following dinner in the library with his friends, pawing through books in an attempt to find something that might give them a clue about the mysterious piece of parchment.

 “Anything?” Hermione asked, as Harry closed another heavy book and added it to one of the piles in the middle of the table.

He shook his head.

She sighed. “This is proving more difficult than I first thought.”

 “Any other bright ideas?” Ron asked, brushing the dust that had come off one of the books from his face.

 “Well, you’re fairly certain it was Professor Dumbledore that gave you it, aren’t you?” she asked Harry. “So perhaps you should just ask him.”

 “Hermione, when has Professor Dumbledore ever give me a straight answer?”  Harry pointed out.

The girl shrugged in acknowledgement, picking up another book.

 “I’ve got to go,” Harry said, glancing at the clock. “My detention…”

 “We’ll stay here and keep looking,” Hermione promised. “Good luck Harry.”

OOOOOOO

Harry had left himself a good ten minutes to get down to the dungeons, which was part of the reason he was currently wandering down the corridor at a pace something akin to a snail’s.

Stopping outside what he knew was Professor Snape’s ingredients store, he frowned, hearing low voices from inside.

 “S-Severus I’m n-not sure w-what you mean b-but I assure you–” Quirrell’s voice.

 “ –You know full well, Quirinius. I don’t know exactly what you are up to, but let me assure you: I will not allow you to take advantage of–”

 “–I was merely taking an interest–”

 “–You were taking advantage. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to what exactly it is you have to gain?” Snape demanded.

 “I’m a p-professor at this sch-school,” Quirrell stuttered.

 “That means nothing. You have form. I am watching you, Quirinius, and if you wish to remain a professor at this school, you will stay away from–”

 “ –W-what concern is it of yours anyhow, S-Severus?”

 “I made a promise to the headmaster. Nothing more than that. I am warning you – do not go looking for–” Snape began.

 “ –Th-this really is n-none of your b-b-business!” Quirrell interjected.

Turning  back the way he had come, Harry took off in the direction of the library.

When he reached the desk at which he had been sat with his friends, Hermione jumped up from her seat.

 “Harry! We’ve–”

 “Are you alright?” Ron frowned, noticing how out of breath the other boy was.

 “I think I know who’s trying to steal the stone,” Harry panted, leaning forward in an attempt to get some air into his lungs.

 “Who?” Hermione asked.

 “Quirrell.”

She frowned. “Professor Quirrell. But why…?”

 “I don’t know. But it’s got to be him, I’m sure of it,” Harry  told them. “And I think Snapes on to him. Come on!”

 “Where?” Ron asked.

 “Hagrid’s. We’ve got to find out more about Fluffy, and which teachers know about the stone,” he said.

 “But Harry, what about your detention?” Hermione asked as the two of them followed him out of the library.

 “This is more important,” he decided, setting off at a jog again.

OOOOOOO

As they ran across the grass towards Hagrid’s hut, Harry hoped that they hadn’t been seen. He was already in enough trouble for skipping Snape’s detention without anything else on top.

Climbing the steps, Harry hammered on the door.

After a moment, Hagrid opened up, wearing what could only be described as a pair of muggle oven mitts.

 “Hagrid–” Harry began.

 “Oh, ‘ello! Sorry, don’t wish to be rude but I’m in no fit state to entertain today,” the half-giant said, going to close the door again.

 “We know about the Philosopher’s Stone!” the three of them said in unison.

 “Oh.”

With that, Hagrid led them inside.

 “We think Quirrell’s trying to steal it,” Harry told him, taking his cloak off.

 “Perfesser Quirrell? Why on earth would he wanna do that?” Hagrid asked

  “We don’t know. But we’re sure it’s him,” Ron said, taking a seat.

Hermione gave him a look. “We? You thought it was Professor Snape an hour ago.”

 “Blimey, Perfesser Snape?” Hagrid asked, surprised. “He’s one of the teachers protecting the stone! He’s not about to steal it. Right, come on now, I’m a bit preoccupied today–”

 “Wait a minute. One of the teachers?” Harry clarified.

 “Of course!” Hermione said, suddenly. “There are other things defending the stone, aren’t there? Spells, enchantments...”

 “That’s right,” Hagrid nodded. “Waste of bloody time if you ask me. Ain’t no one gonna get past Fluffy. Ain’t a soul knows how – ‘cept for me and Dumbledore.”

 “Is Quirrell one of the teachers protecting the stone?” Harry asked.

Hagrid shook his head. “No. Doubt he even knows it’s here.”

 “And… he definitely doesn’t know how to get past Fluffy?” Hermione confirmed.

 “No, I told yer. Just me and Dumbledore. And I shouldn’t have told yer that!” he chuckled, nervously.

Just then, there was an audible tapping noise from the fireplace, and the three of them turned to watch as Hagrid pulled something out of a brass pot, trying not to burn his hands through the mitts.

He placed the item on the table, and the three Gryffindors gathered round.

 “Uh… Hagrid?” Harry began, warily. “What exactly is that?”

OOOOOOO

 

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3728