In Somnis Veritas by myramcqueen
Summary: When 11 year old Harry Potter arrives at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, there is something very familiar about the dour Potions Master sitting at the teacher's table. Where has Harry seen him before, and what does it mean?

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape Comforts
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 30 Completed: Yes Word count: 38016 Read: 83669 Published: 27 Nov 2021 Updated: 26 May 2022
Chapter 8 by myramcqueen

Severus Snape was thoroughly enjoying having the castle largely empty.

That afternoon, they’d shipped the majority of the students off for the annual Hogsmeade outing, and this year, he had not drawn the short straw when it came to chaperoning.

That meant he had the rest of the afternoon and most of the evening to browse the library, perhaps get some batch brewing out of the way and just generally enjoy a peaceful existence for once.

Entering the quiet library, the potions master headed towards the restricted section – he hadn’t perused those books in a while, and there was something in particular he was looking for presently.

As he made his way through the rows of ancient books, something caught his eye. Or rather, someone.

There, at the one of the desks in the centre of the library was Harry Potter. The boy was sat alone, playing a game of Wizard’s Chess against the evidently enchanted board.

Severus stopped.

He hadn’t seen the boy outside of class for some time. Harry’s Friday evening visits had come to an abrupt stop once Quidditch had started up, and the professor could only think that practice was taking priority over the boy’s studies.

Emerald eyes flicked in his direction.

 “Good afternoon, Mr Potter,” he said silkily, going to stand in front of the boy.

Harry mumbled a response, moving one of his pieces, which was promptly smashed to smithereens.

Severus took a seat at the desk, as the chess board made its move.

 “Why aren’t you in Hogsmeade with your little friends?”

Harry shrugged.

 “That isn’t an answer, Potter,” the potions master said, raising a brow.

 “My aunt and uncle wouldn’t sign the slip, sir,” he sighed. “So I wasn’t allowed to go.”

 “I see.”

Harry picked up another chess piece and went to move it, but the potions master stopped him with a silent wave of his hand, gesturing for him to move another piece instead.

The boy did as he suggested, and took one of the opposing knights.

 “Thanks,” he said, smiling faintly.

 “Tell me, Potter. How are your studies?” Snape asked.

 “Fine, sir, I think. Why d’you ask?”

 “No reason. It simply came to my attention that I had… not seen much of you, since the Gryffindor-Slytherin match,” Snape said carefully, after all, it wouldn’t do to let the boy think he cared – it was simply an observation.

Harry visibly tensed at the comment, and Snape frowned.

 “Problem, Potter?”

The child hesitated.

 “Go on.”

 “It’s just… That day, at the Quidditch match… my broom went out of control…” Harry began.

 “I recall.”

 “And… well, at first I thought it was me, sir. After all, I’ve barely had any flying lessons,” he explained. “But Ron and Hermione said…”

 “Ye-s?” Snape drawled, wondering when the whelp would get to the point.

 “They said someone was jinxing my broom,” the boy replied.  “And… they thought… I mean, they said that…”

 “Let me guess, Potter. Following the incident, your nitwitted friends, as always, put two and two together and came out with five, thus concluding that it was I who jinxed your broom, correct?” he offered.

Harry’s eyes widened.

 “Tell me Potter, what reason do you think I could possibly have for wishing to jinx your broom?” Snape asked.

 “I… don’t know sir…” came the small voice.

 “And do you not think that, should I wish to do away with you, I could simply chop you up and use you as potions ingredients?”

Harry paled a little. “I suppose so.”

 “So why, therefore, did you think it prudent to believe this nonsense?” he asked.

Colour quickly returned to the boy’s cheeks and he cast his eyes downwards. “I didn’t say I believed it, sir. I just… I wasn’t sure what to believe…”

 “Understandable I suppose, given the attempt on your life,” Snape mused.

 “So, someone did try to jinx my broom?” Harry frowned. “But… who? Why?”

 “As of yet, I do not know the answer to that,” the professor told him, which was only a half-truth. “However I intend to find out.”

 “Sorry I doubted you, sir,” the child said, suitably reassured that he was not sharing a library with his attempted murderer. 

 “That’s quite alright, Mr Potter. Given my efforts at countering the curse, it is hardly surprising that your friends came to the conclusion they did,” he said, and immediately regretted it.

The boy’s eyes were huge again. “You were trying to… to help me?”

Severus Snape sighed. Why was it the boy looked like somebody had just given him a huge present?

 “Is it truly that surprising to you? My reputation precedes me I am sure, but I am, first and foremost, a professor at this school and therefore would not see it fit to allow a student to fall from the skies whilst I sat back and did nothing,” he told the boy – there, that was a satisfactory explanation.

 “I… thank you, sir.”

 “Think no more of it, Potter,” he said, moving another piece across the board for the boy.

A comfortable silence followed, before Harry spoke again.

 “What’s it like sir?”

 “What is what like, Mr Potter?”

 “Hogsmeade,” Harry clarified, and Snape saw a mild flicker of disappointment return to the child’s eyes.  

 “It is largely dull,” the potions master lied, in an attempt to spare the boy’s feelings. “At this time of year it will be cold, the floor will be sludge and there will be so many people packed into the shops and inns that it is unlikely to be a very pleasant experience.”

“It’s okay,” he said, giving Snape another weak smile. “I know what you’re trying to do, sir, and I appreciate it. I’m sure there’ll be other years, and I don’t mind missing out all that much really. It was just… well, it would’ve been nice to go and get some Christmas presents for Ron and Hermione. And maybe Hagrid. I expect I won’t get another chance now. That’s all.”

Severus Snape surveyed the boy for a moment. Was this selfless child really the offspring of his childhood nemesis?

 “I understand, Potter. However, perhaps if you were to explain the situation to Headmaster Dumbledore, he may consider granting you the privilege of a trip to Diagon Alley, in conjunction with purchase of school supplies for January,” he suggested.

 “Thanks, sir. But I don’t think Professor Dumbledore would let me go to Diagon Alley on my own,” Harry sighed.

 “I am not for one moment suggesting you go alone, you idiot child. Perhaps, if he is so inclined, the headmaster may authorise such a visit if a member of the staff body were to accompany you,” Snape told him.

That would really put McGonagall out, wouldn’t it? An unwanted trip to Diagon Alley, right before Christmas. Severus Snape smirked inwardly at the thought.

 “Could it be you?” Harry asked, suddenly.

 “What?” Snape snapped, out of shock.

The boy’s face fell a little. “I’m sorry, sir. It doesn’t matter. I only thought that if I was going to go to Diagon Alley, I’d like to go with you most of all. But I understand that you’re busy, and I’m not your responsibility. So it’s okay, honest. Don’t worry about it.”

Severus Snape exhaled deeply.

 “Very well, Potter. I will accompany you to Diagon Alley. But only if Professor Dumbledore agrees,” he heard the words leaving his own mouth, before he could stop them.

Harry’s eyes lit up. “Really? That would be great, sir! I’ll ask him, first thing tomorrow!”

 “I have no doubt you will,” Snape said, as the chess board blew the last of Harry’s pieces to bits.  “And whilst we are there, perhaps a visit to Flourish and Blotts will be in order. In fact, I shall owl them ahead and ensure they put a copy of ‘An Idiot’s Guide to Wizard’s Chess’ on hold for you – your skills are sorely lacking.”

It was meant to be an insult, but the little brat actually had the audacity to laugh as he packed away the board and stood up.

Scooting around the edge of the desk, Harry reached out and wrapped his arms around Snape’s neck in a clumsy attempt at a hug.

 “Thank you sir,” he whispered.

And before Severus Snape had the chance to push the boy away or administer a few choice insults, the child was gone, leaving him to wonder what on earth he had just agreed to.

OOOOOOO

The End.
End Notes:
AN: I'm fully aware that Hogsmeade was a third year privilege in the original, but I've changed things up a little - writer's prerogative!


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3728