Where I belong by Handa
Summary: Harry has always been looking for a place where he belongs and when Hagrid came to tell him about the wizarding world, he thought Hogwarts might finally be that place. That was until he was suddenly sorted into Slytherin house, and now he's not too sure. Can a certain Professor put aside childhood grudges and help Harry with his quest to find belonging?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape's a Bully, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Bullying, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 38854 Read: 30821 Published: 21 Dec 2021 Updated: 31 Jan 2024
Chapter 3 by Handa
It took Harry a few minutes once he woke up to remember where he was and what was going on. Instead of the hard lumpy surface Harry was used to, he was encased in soft silky sheets upon a mattress as soft as a cloud and a soft fluffy pillow lay under his head. Everything soon came flooding back as he heard voices of boys around him, and he sat bolt right up in his bed and his eyes flung open to greet a sea of green.

Everything came flooding back. Hagrid, Wizard, Magic, The Train, Ron, Draco, Hogwarts. And then…

Slytherin.

No. He thought when he felt the gloomy thoughts start to return. He wouldn’t let his house define this experience. Today would be better. He needs to stay grateful for what he has and not be sad about what he lost.

This magical world could never be as bad as the muggle one he was living at the Dursleys. Admittedly, it was already much better.

He was offered a ginormous meal last night, although admittedly he couldn’t eat much of it. He’s snuggled up in a nice warm bed and had nice new robes to wear to class. With that thought he timidly opened the curtains on his bed and reached for his glasses.

A quick glance at the clock, struck panic in him though, when it told him that it was already 6:45 and Professor Snape had said to be at Breakfast specifically by 7 o’clock to receive their schedules.

“Hey look, Draco! Baby Potty is finally awake!” A boy who Harry thought was Gregory Goyle said as he was pulling his jumper over his head. Or was he Vincent Crabbe?

Harry stood up and made his way to his trunk just to be stopped by Draco Malfoy himself stalking up to Harry making him back up a few paces. Why, oh, why did he have to share a room with these people? Harry squeezed his eyes shut and tried to think positive thoughts again but failed when Draco’s hand landed roughly on his shoulder shoving him down.

Harry yelped as he hit the floor hard and heard laughter erupt around him as the other boys crowded and laughed at him. This was quite a familiar position for Harry. Dudley and his gang often cornered Harry but usually Harry had the chance to at least try outrunning them first. The hopelessness of having to share a room with his bullies was creating a tightening feeling in his stomach.

“You embarrassed me yesterday, Scarface.” Draco spat at Harry and Harry flinched as Draco raised his fist again and he braced himself for another hit. “Now you need to pay for that.”

“Draco, we don’t have time.” A voice drawled and Harry thought it was Theodore Knott who had been quite quiet since Harry arrived in Slytherin. “Snape said we had to be there by seven and plus, he’s not worth it.”

Harry thought it might be some sort of trick so kept his eyes firmly shut and didn’t move a muscle. He was surprised when no blow came and cautiously opened one eye. Draco was staring directly back menacingly.

“You’re right, Knott.” He said slowly, not taking his eyes off Harry. “Let’s go boys. Leave Potty to some privacy.”

Harry furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. This certainly wasn’t familiar territory anymore. Dudley would never pass up the opportunity to hurt Harry especially when he was this vulnerable to him. The strange turn of events put Harry uneasy.

Harry let out a huge breath of relief when they all left him to it. This was the first time he had been alone since the before the Hogwarts Express. How optimistic he had been then…

“Stay positive.” Harry whispered to himself to try and remind his brain of how lucky he was to even be here.

He rushed to where he left his uniform yesterday and was shocked to see it all neatly washed and folded, resting over his desk chair. His heart dropped when he saw the tie Ron had helped him with had been magically untied folded up. He thought he must have the worst luck in the world.

He growled in frustration as he attempted to tie his tie but grimaced as a large knot appeared instead. The clock ticked by to 6:55 and Harry realised that it would have to do. Harry turned to look for his school bag, which was full of his new books and equipment, and soon found that it was no where to be seen.

No! Where had he put it? He was certain he had left it right by his bed!

There was only so many places Harry could look in the dorm before he realised that his bag was truly lost. Sighing, Harry resigned himself to his fate and decided to head to breakfast anyway, in order to minimise the trouble, he’d ultimately get in with Snape.

Maybe he could sneak away before the end and go to Hogwarts lost and found and get supplies there? Did Hogwarts even have a lost and found?

Harry arrived at breakfast 10 minutes late, after getting lost a few times coming up from the dungeons. He rushed into the Great Hall hoping no one would notice, with his head firmly faced down and walked to the Slytherin table.

Harry gasped in surprised as he saw his bag sat waiting for him and ran up to it, so relieved to see it that he didn’t think about why it was there and not in the dorm. Only when his hand brushed on the sodden material of the bag did laughter erupt from around him.

“Enjoy your bag Potty!” Malfoy sneered from across the table, his face practically glowing with excitement. “We gave it a little trip down the toilet just for you!”

Some of the first year Slytherin girls nearby screamed in disgust at the thought and Harry tried his best to ignore them as he slipped into the bench and clutched the soiled bag to his chest, hoping the contents wasn’t too ruined. He didn’t have any way of replacing them.

This new magical world was different to his old one in every way possible and took some getting used to, but every world has bullies. And Harry knew from experience that him and bullies didn’t mix well. It finally made sense why the others had left so quickly that morning and Harry scolded himself for leaving himself so vulnerable.

He knew better than that.

--

As Severus Snape sipped on his morning coffee, he reflected. He still couldn’t really believe the events of the day previous.

He had prepared himself for years and years for the arrival of the famous boy-who-lived to arrive at Hogwarts. And of all the scenario’s he imagined in his head, he never would have predicted this.

Truthfully, he had hoped teaching would have been behind him by the time the Potter spawn would arrive. He had hoped that selling potions on the side would have taken off into more of a sustainable income. Yet the years had come and gone, and he still found himself teaching little brats who had no interest in his practise.

He had comforted himself in that although he wasn’t able to get out of Hogwarts before Potter came, he would try everything in his power to have as little interaction with the brat as possible. Except for a few detentions every now and then to keep Severus in a good mood.

The thought of Potter being a Slytherin didn’t even cross his mind. Who’d have thought?

The spawn of James Potter, his childhood bully, Gryffindor hero, renowned martyr of the wizarding world, placed in Slytherin house. His house.
Must the world punish him so? Severus knew he had done bad things in his past, but never did he think he deserves such torment.

But Severus was a firm believer in that everything happens for a reason. So just what was the reason behind Potter being placed in his house?

Severus had spent all night pondering this very question and the only conclusion he could fathom, was to ensure that history doesn’t repeat itself. Harry Potter would not have any opportunity to be the bully that James Potter was. Severus wouldn’t allow it. If Potter was in his own house, he now has the ability and authority to clamp down on the arrogant, idiotic and tormenting behaviour immediately.

He could protect his young snakes from the evil he had to endure through Hogwarts and wouldn’t turn a blind eye like Minerva or Albus had done.
It was a duty that Severus felt responsible for ever since he started as Head of House.

He would be firm and fair and watch over all his Snakes in a way that no one ever looked out for him when he was in that position. Potter wouldn’t get away with anything, if Severus had anything to do with it

He had hoped this message had been loud and clear in the speech he had done in the Slytherin common room last night. Potter looked especially subdued, and Severus was satisfied he had been scared into submission of the potions master when he singled him out and assured that his fame would get him nowhere.

That was, until 7 am came and went and all the Head of Houses, stood from the staff table, to give out schedules and Potter was nowhere to be seen. Snape sneered, clearly the message had not sunk in. He needed to be stricter on the little brat.

Of course, it wouldn’t be that easy to get the message through to him. He was a Potter by blood after all.

10 minutes later Potter came scrawling in, with his bird nest hair and uniform hanging off his scrawny body. Severus bristled and marched over to the Slytherin table. If the little brat thought he would be able to get away with this, he had another thing coming. Not only had he disobeyed Severus’ direct instructions, but he had embarrassed him in front of the entire staff. He can’t have them thinking he can’t handle the little brat.

“Potter!” Severus saw Harry jumped from his seat as he noticed Severus’ presence. Severus narrowed his eyes and lowered his voice as he towered over the boy. “Would you like to explain to me why you are late to breakfast?”

He watched Harry’s mouth open and close in shock, his eyes darting around but not meeting his eyes. Another sign of disrespect. This was going to be a long year.

“I got lost, Sir.” Severus rolled his eyes at the pathetic excuse.

“Not good enough, Potter.” He spat as he thrust a paper towards the boy. “Your schedule.” He sneered. “Ensure you stick to it, or you will face the consequences.”

The boy nodded quickly, and Severus noticed his face tinged pink at the attention they were gaining and he was satisfied by his intimidation.

“And sort out that sorry excuse for a tie.” He pointed to the green knot hanging round the boy’s neck with his wand, noticing the slight flinch he made at the fast action. Potter obviously thought himself above the rules to present himself well and must’ve thought it was ‘cooler’ to tie it in a terrible way. “I will not have you prancing around representing Slytherin house looking like a scrappy house elf.”

Some of the other Slytherin first year boys laughed loudly at the comment and Severus felt his lip twitch. Oh, he was enjoying seeing the boy squirm.

“See to it that it is sorted by your Potions lesson this afternoon or you will lose points and find yourself in detention. Do I make myself clear?” Severus drawled.

“Yes sir.” Potter all but whispered back.

Very satisfied by how he handled that, Snape turned around to make his way back up to the staff table his robes billowing behind him, leaving a rather miserable Harry behind.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3741