Where I belong by Handa
Summary: Harry has always been looking for a place where he belongs and when Hagrid came to tell him about the wizarding world, he thought Hogwarts might finally be that place. That was until he was suddenly sorted into Slytherin house, and now he's not too sure. Can a certain Professor put aside childhood grudges and help Harry with his quest to find belonging?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape's a Bully, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Bullying, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 38854 Read: 30825 Published: 21 Dec 2021 Updated: 31 Jan 2024
Chapter 5 by Handa
As Harry’s eyes met with the gentle giant, he immediately wanted to put his head back down and hope Hagrid would walk away because he was so embarrassed to be found like this. He must look so pathetic, sobs raking his body like he was some baby and mud coated uniform like he’d just been chucked in the lake. He didn’t want to lose Hagrid too, the only person who was kind to him.

“ ‘ey ’Arry? What’s ‘appened?” Harry blinked and suddenly Hagrid was bent down and was reaching out to him. Harry flinched away from the touch; he was feeling too vulnerable to accept comfort.

Harry opened his mouth to try and reply but as soon as he tried to say he was fine, another sob built up in his throat and he couldn’t help himself from starting to cry again. Here we go, now Hagrid would be so disgusted that he wouldn’t want to be friends with Harry either.

“Oh ‘Arry!” Hagrid said, clearly distressed from Harry’s appearance and obvious sadness. “’ere, let’s get yous out of the storm and inside first and then ye can tell me what ‘appened, alrigh’?”

Harry could barely respond before he felt two large hands pull him up under his armpits and guide him slowly onto his feet.

Harry whined; he didn’t want to move. He didn’t want to even be at Hogwarts anymore.

“Come now, ‘Arry. Ye gonna be fine, alrigh’?” Hagrid kept a hand on Harry’s shoulders, and he guided Harry to walk. At the back of Harry’s mind, he realised that they were going further away from the castle, not towards it. Maybe it was because of that, that Harry let himself be guided along by Hagrid towards a small Hut, near the forest.

Hagrid opened the small door and ushered Harry inside, with his hand still firmly planted on Harry’s shoulder. He was immediately surrounded by heat, causing his glasses to steam up, and Hagrid pushed down into his shoulder, so he softly fell into a large armchair. Harry could barely ask where they were when Hagrid placed a thick fur blanket on Harry’s shoulder’s, effectively covering his whole body, except his head.

Harry tried to say he didn’t want it until he felt it to be quite cosy, so he closed his mouth again and looked down at his sodden shoes.

“Do ye like tea, ‘Arry?” Hagrid asked and Harry looked up at him, his eyes still shining with tears, but his sobs quieted to small hiccups. He nodded quickly before fixing his gaze back down to his feet.

Just as Hagrid placed a cup of tea next to Harry and went to sit beside him, a bang interrupted then and Harry jumped, and his head whipped to look at Hagrid.

Hagrid wasn’t worried though and instead grinned. “Ah, Fang, forgot about ye, I did.” He stood and Harry’s eyes widened thinking about what ‘Fang’ could possibly be. Hagrid opened a small door on the right and Harry had no time to process what it was before a large dog was on top of him and slobbering all over Harry’s face.

He tensed up, memories of his Aunt Marge’s dog, Ripper, came back to him but he started to relax as Fang seemed to have no interest in biting Harry and was more excited rather than vicious. Hagrid chuckled loudly and Harry soon found himself giggling too, his worries forgotten as the big dog nuzzled itself under Harry’s hand, as if demanding to be pet.

“This is Fang. ‘e looks scary but he’s really jus’ a big softie, aren’t ye?” Hagrid grabbed Fang by the collar, not harshly, but away from Harry to give him some space and Fang sat contently at Hagrid’s feet. When he panted and looked at Harry, it seemed like he was smiling.

They sat in companionable silence for a few minutes and Harry took a sip of his tea, relishing the hot liquid in his belly, warming him up, although shakes still raked his body.

“So, ‘Arry, do ye wanna tell me what’s got you so upset?” Hagrid finally asked the question Harry had been waiting to hear. “Ye could’ve froze out there, if I’d not’ve found ye on me way back from dinner.”

Harry was surprised to hear that he’d been sat outside long enough to miss dinner. He thought he was only out there for a few minutes. He wasn’t that hungry anyway.

“Sorry Hagrid.” Harry sniffed, his voice croaky from his crying. “Just had a bad day is all...”

“Seemed like more that a jus’ a bad day to me.” Hagrid scoffed, although not nastily like Snape and the Slytherins had done earlier that day. “Ye seemed ‘appy coming off the train, what ‘appened?"

“I got sorted in Slytherin.” Harry sighed under his breath, immediately.
“So what? Slytherin is a respectable ‘ouse ‘Arry!” Hagrid exclaimed, while taking another sip of his tea.

“I’m sure it is, if you actually belong there Hagrid.” Harry mumbled.

“Ahh so ye don’t think ye belong in Slytherin eh?” Hagrid said softly, and Harry shook his head and looked down. “Now, whose been tellin’ ye that?”

That’s all it took for Harry to suddenly let it all out. Words ran out of Harry’s mouth like water from a burst dam. He told Hagrid about everything. Meeting Ron on the train. Getting on the wrong foot of Draco. The sorting. The other Slytherin boys teasing. How Professor Snape had ridiculed him in front of everyone. His bag going missing and the turning up wet from the toilet. Snape telling him off for his tie. Being alone at break and lunch. The shrivel-fig and losing points in potions for his tie and the finally trying to talk to Ron and his rejection.

Hagrid listened carefully as Harry talked about his day, he nodded and encouraged Harry to continue until he had finished. Harry took a deep breath and felt himself even start to feel a bit better just from speaking about it. He looked at Hagrid for a response, but he seemed deep in thought, so he took another sip of his tea, embarrassed that he had spoke so much.

“I’m sorry you had sucha tough day, ‘Arry.” Hagrid finally spoke. “I wish I knew wha’ to say to make ye feel better I really do.”

Harry looked down; he knew that there would not be much Hagrid could do to help him. It is not like he can time-travel or make his housemates like him or anything.

“But I do want ye to know that ye do belong at Hogwarts, ‘Arry.” Harry looked up at the half giant, who smiled sadly. “If there were ever a wizard to belong ‘ere, its you. You defeated you kow who, for merlins sake!”

Hagrid paused, as if letting his words sink in.

“I must admit, I meself was a little surprised to see ye in Slytherin myself but tha’ sorting hat never makes mistakes. It put ye there for a reason.” He said. “’nd take it from someone whose frequently told where ‘e should an shouldn’t be, the reason you were put in tha' house is ‘cause you belong there.”

“Thanks Hagrid.” Harry didn’t know if he really believed what Hagrid was saying but it made his insides feel all warm and fuzzy that Hagrid cared for him so. He didn’t want to allow himself to hope too much but he was glad he had a least someone at Hogwarts he could talk to.

“And if ye ever need anythin’ ‘Arry, don’t ‘esitate to come ‘ere to me cabin and I’ll remind ye jus’ how special ye are, alrigh’?” This time Harry grinned up at Hagrid at the praise. “Aye, there’s the smile I wanted te see!” Hagrid’s cheerful comments only made Harry grin more at the gentle giant. He really liked Hagrid. “’Ey, ‘Arry did ye not ‘ave any dinner then?”

Harry shook his head shyly as Hagrid tsked in disappointment before standing up and walking a few steps about to his little kitchen.

Now Harry was less distressed he took in the space around him and realised this is where Hagrid must live. It was cramped and Harry thought it must seem even smaller to the half-giant, but it was also homey and cosy, and it made Harry feel safe for the first time since he’d arrived at Hogwarts. He snuggled deeper into the fur blanket and tried not to think about how he’d eventually have to leave his little safe heaven. He’d much rather stay here than go back to the hell of Slytherin common room.

Hagrid forced him to eat some broth and Harry refused at first, saying that he wasn’t hungry but as soon as he took the first sip, he found himself quite hungry and quickly polished off the bowl, and thanked Hagrid for it.

He also offered Harry one of his rock buns that he made earlier which were not as tasty and much more like a rock than a bun, but Harry said it was delicious just to see the half-giant’s face beam with pride.

To Harry’s excitement he then also showed Harry some of what were called a blast-ended screwts that he had been breeding. It fascinated Harry even if he was a little wary of the strange magical creatures, and the smell was enough to put anyone off their dinner.

“Well, ‘Arry I better walk ye back te the castle, it’s getting up to curfew soon.” Harry’s heart dropped at the news but reluctantly nodded. “’ere, ye robes are nearly dry now.”

Hagrid handed Harry his robes which had been drying by the fire and Harry put them back on and started for the door until Hagrid called him back.

“One more thing, ‘Arry.” Hagrid said and knelt in front of Harry and raised his hands to Harry’s neck where his mess of a tie was waiting for him. Harry held his breath at someone being so close to his neck but surprisingly didn’t flinch as Hagrid gently worked on untying his tie. “I ‘aven’t done this since I was a Hogwarts student myself, but I’ll try me best.”

Surprisingly, Hagrid’s large hands were able to tie his tie well, albeit a little messier than the one Ron did for him. But at least it was tied in an actual tie, unlike Harry’s. “There, tha’ should do ye for now.”

“But, Hagrid, when I woke up this morning, my uniform was all washed and my tie was laid out for me already.” Harry asked, not seeing the point in Hagrid doing it when it magically unties by morning.

“Ah that’ll be the house elves ‘Arry.” Hagrid said as he tucked Harry’s tie back in his uniform and also did up his robe for him. Harry was so tired from his day that he didn’t worry about feeling like a baby and let him do it for him. It was quite nice to be taken care of for once.

“House elves?” Harry asked, through a yawn.

“They do the cookin’ and cleanin’ for Hogwarts.” Hagrid explained. “But if ye want, ye can meet me outside the Great Hall before breakfast I’ll tie it again for ye. Until ye learn for yourself, of course. Though, I’m an early riser, gotta get up to feed the crups”

“That would be great Hagrid! Thank you so much!” Harry exclaimed, grinning up at the half-giant again.

Hagrid chucked at Harry’s enthusiasm. “Not a problem ‘Arry. Come on, let’s get ye back to the castle now.”

Words could not explain how much better Harry felt about everything when he stepped into the school compared with how he left it. Hagrid walked him all the way back down to the dungeons and Harry felt proud to have the half-giant behind him, he felt like nothing would hurt him when he was there. He was dreading going back to the dorms and hoped that Draco and the others had taken an early night, but he very much doubted it.

“Have you forgotten how to tell the time, Mr Potter?” Harry jumped as he realised Professor Snape was suddenly in front of them, his arms crossed in front of him, and a menacing look on his face.

“Um, no sir?” Harry stuttered. Was this another one of his trick questions?

“Then do you care to explain why you were absent from dinner and you seem to have decided to wonder around the castle with only 5 minutes until curfew?” Snape demanded; his eyes narrowed in anger at the small boy in front of him.

Harry opened his mouth to answer, his heartbeat thrumming against his chest, but Hagrid beat him to it.

“Sorry ‘e’s a tad late Perfessor, tha’s completely my fault.” Hagrid said, completely oblivious to the daggers Snape was sending in Harry’s direction. “I got a bit carried away when I was showing ‘Arry me Blast-ended Screwts, te cheer him up, and we didn’t realise the time did we?”

Snape’s lip twitched, his eyes never leaving Harry’s. “Is that so?”

“Yeah, ‘Arry ‘ere was a bit upset weren’t ye? First day of classes can be a bit overwhelming for the little-uns, don’t ye think Perfessor?” Harry could’ve been angry that Hagrid told Snape he had got upset or at the fact he was referred to as a little-un, but he could only focus on avoiding Snape’s glare which was making him increasingly uncomfortable.

“Quite.” Snape quipped. He obviously was not in the mood for chatter. “Run along to your dorm, Potter.”

“Yes sir.” Harry said, glad to have been excused from the awkward conversation and whispered the password, Foxglove. He turned back before heading through the tunnel to see Hagrid waving at him.

Hagrid grinned. “See ya, ‘Arry. Remember what I said.”

Harry nodded and grinned back before clambering into the common room. Yes, he really liked Hagrid.

------

Severus Snape was confused. He didn’t like being confused. Harry Potter was just not what he expected.

Severus spent his entire life observing the actions of others. Because of this he had become quite well skilled at predicting behaviours. He had once again been observing Potter with great interest and he couldn’t get the little brat out of his head. Cursed Potter for worming his way into Severus’ mind.

At breakfast he had been convinced Potter was the insolent brat he expected, and his suspicions were confirmed by his lack of punctuality and disregard for uniform regulations, inherently reflecting his lack of respect for adults and insolent attitude.

Yet when he attempted to once again show Potter who was in charge in Potions class, he had not received the reaction he was expecting.

Instead of angry and defiant, Harry seemed almost sad and downtrodden.

Severus also noticed that for the entire day, he was never with his dormmates, or any of the other Slytherins.

Or anyone at all really.

Perhaps they had enough of Potter after one night of his constant bullying and had alienated him from the group and refused his friendship. Yes, that must be the case. His Snakes were far too smart to fall for Potter’s pranks and he was probably just sad that he could not get around them. Too used to everything in his life going his way.

But as he sat at the staff table the next morning at 6am, he watched with surprise as Potter nervously entered the Great Hall for breakfast, next to the half-giant. Just what was his obsession with the grounds keeper, and how had the brat manipulated him to be some sort of victim?

He narrowed his eyes when Hagrid patted Harry on the back before heading up to the staff table and Harry sat down to eat by himself.

It was very early. Breakfast was open at 6am to allow for early quidditch players to eat before practise, and, nearer to exams, for people to allow time for extra study.

For Severus himself, he liked to come to breakfast early so he could go back to his brewing before classes began. Unless it was the start of term and he had to wait so he could give out the schedules to his snakes, like he had yesterday.

He saw no reason as to why Potter was up so early just so he could eat by himself.

Severus couldn’t help but feel as if something wasn’t right. Potter must be up to something.

And Severus was going to get to the bottom of it.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3741