Where I belong by Handa
Summary: Harry has always been looking for a place where he belongs and when Hagrid came to tell him about the wizarding world, he thought Hogwarts might finally be that place. That was until he was suddenly sorted into Slytherin house, and now he's not too sure. Can a certain Professor put aside childhood grudges and help Harry with his quest to find belonging?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape's a Bully, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Bullying, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 38854 Read: 30837 Published: 21 Dec 2021 Updated: 31 Jan 2024
Chapter 7 by Handa
Harry fell into a routine over the next week. Everyday, he got up early, showered and left the dorms, before the other boys rose. He met Hagrid at the entrance, and they chatted while Hagrid tied Harry’s tie and then made his way to breakfast. Harry thought he had the hang of his tie now, but he still enjoyed seeing Hagrid every morning so continued to do so.

He met with Hermione frequently after dinner in the library and they studied and chatted and learnt more about each other. On the second week of Harry’s time at Hogwarts, Hermione brought a boy called Neville along to their little study sessions. He was another Gryffindor boy.

Harry was a little hesitant around Neville at first, but for a Gryffindor the boy seemed awfully nervous, so Harry didn’t think he meant harm and soon relaxed.
Neville showed Harry his Remembrall which was a magical device to show him if he’s forgotten something. It nearly always glowed red, and it made Harry chuckle when Neville would just exclaim. “I just don’t know what I’ve forgotten though!”

The other Slytherins were still cruel to him. They would kick his chair in class and throw food at him at mealtimes. Once, Harry got back from studying with Hermione and Neville to find the entire contents of his trunk (which wasn’t very much) scattered across the room.

Once he let this slip to Hermione, she immediately began to research locking spells and was in the process of teaching them to Harry.

It was like a game to the Slytherins. How can they torment Harry the most today?

Whether it was shoving him down in the corridors, calling him names, sabotaging his work or getting him in trouble with professors, they found a way.

Speaking of professors, Professor Flitwick remained his favourite teacher, as well as Hagrid of course. Professor Snape was as unkind to him as ever. He either ignored Harry completely or he called him out for every little thing. “Do you ever listen to a thing I say, Potter?” Snape would snap in Harry’s face, before rolling his eyes and giving Harry a fail for the lesson.

Harry didn’t mind too much, and he tried not to let it bother him. Like the Slytherins, he was getting used to Snapes constant anger towards him and just got on with it. He’d definitely had practise with that from living with the Dursleys.

This Friday morning was different to all the other days he’d spent in Hogwarts because today was the day that they were having Flying lessons. Harry was apprehensive but also quite excited. The idea of flying and being so free sounded like a dream to Harry.

Plus, it was with the Gryffindors so he would be able to spend more time with Neville and Hermione. Harry arrived on the Quidditch pitch and immediately made his way over to his friends when he spotted them.

There wasn’t much time for chatting though, as Madam Hooch soon arrived, and they were all instructed to stand beside a broom.

Unfortunately, Slytherins were ordered on one side and Gryffindors on another, but Harry made sure he was at least opposite Hermione, so he was as close to them as possible. He was beside Crabbe, who would shove him harshly with his elbow whenever Madam Hooch wasn’t looking. He was sure he would have a bruise in his side by the time this class was over.

“Right everyone, position yourself to the left side of your broomstick.” Madam Hooch began and they all scrambled to follow instructions. Everyone was excited to fly today but no one dared to disobey the fierce Professor. “Stick your right hand over the broom and say ‘up!’”

A chorus of ‘Up!’ ‘s soon reached Harry’s ears as they all tried to summon their broomsticks. Harry lifted into his hand by the second ‘Up!’ and he looked up to see he was one of the first to summon his broomstick. He tried not to grin too hard when Hermione gaped at him.

Malfoy and the other Slytherin’s brooms came up soon and so did most of the Gryffindors. Harry saw that the only students struggling were Neville, Ron, another Gryffindor boy he didn’t know and Millicent Bulstrode.

“Come on, with feeling!” Madam Hooch exclaimed and with seconds Ron’s broom lifted and smacked him right in the nose, causing everyone to exclaim with laughter. Most of the Slytherin boys scoffed or rolled their eyes but Harry grinned to himself as he saw the Gryffindor boys teasing Ron, knowing it was in a friendly way.

“What’re you laughing at? Snake.” One of the Gryffindors muttered at Harry and the smile was immediately wiped off Harry’s face, as he focused his gaze down.

“Right, when you have hold of your broom, I want you all to mount it. Grip it tight so you don’t fall off the end and, on my whistle, kick off from the ground.” Hooch instructed. “Hover there for a moment and then tilt forward and come back to the ground.”

But before Madam Hooch had even the chance to raise the whistle to her lips, Harry watched in shock as Neville began to float up, his eyes wide with terror and a worried look on his face.

“Mr Longbottom!” Madam Hooch shouted. “Come down this instant!”
But no matter how much Neville wished he could, his broom seemed to have other ideas and Neville went up higher and higher.

Harry looked up, worried for his new friend and tried to ignore the loud laughter from his dormmates and mean names they were calling him.

Neville’s broom began to buck and spin and within a few seconds Neville had been tossed upside down and then he was suddenly falling. Harry saw Madam Hooch pointing her wand at him, but he guessed that whatever she was trying to do, didn’t work in time because Neville fell the floor with a sickening crunch.

Neville was cradling his arm as everyone crowded around, either to see if he was ok or, in the Slytherin’s case, to laugh. Madam Hooch called everyone out of the way and crouched down beside him to examine where he was hurt. Harry frowned; he was worried for his new friend.

Soon Madam Hooch had announced that she was taking Neville to the Hospital Wing. But not before she threatened that if anyone even thought about flying before she got back, she would get them expelled out of Hogwarts before anyone could say ‘Quiddich’. Harry gulped.

“Did you see his face, the great lump?” Harry heard Malfoy shout, causing all the Slytherins to laugh along. “Hey look!”

Harry looked up and saw that Malfoy was running over to where Neville had fallen moments ago. He snatched something out of the grass.

“It’s that stupid ball thing Longbottom’s gran sent him!” Malfoy held Neville’s Remembrall up to the light and watched it glisten. “Maybe if he hadn’t have dropped it, he’d have remembered not to fall on his fat arse.” Harry felt a surge of anger.

“Hey, leave it, that’s Neville’s!” Harry saw a dark-skinned Gryffindor girl stick up for Neville and Harry had to admire her for her bravery. He wondered if that was why she was in Gryffindor.

Malfoy laughed cruelly at her attempt to stick up for her housemate. “Oh, sticking up for the fat arse, are we?” Malfoy smiled as if he had just remembered something brilliant and his head whipped to focus on Harry. “And what about you, Potty? Don’t you have anything to say? I’ve seen you sat with the little welp in the library.” Harry’s heart began racing, the way it always did when Malfoy confronted him. “Aren’t you going to stick up for your ickle fwend?”

It seemed to upset Harry more the way Malfoy talked about Neville, than how he talked about Harry. He had been talked down to his whole life, he was used to that. But when he spoke about the boy who had shown him nothing but kindness, it sparked a protective feeling in his chest.

What would a Gryffindor do? He thought to himself. He didn’t belong with the Slytherins, he belonged in Gryffindor. So he may as well start acting like one.

He remembered how Ron stuck up for him on his first day at Hogwarts even after just meeting him. That was a very Gryffindor thing to do. And just like that, Harry made up his mind.

“Give it here, Malfoy.” He said, hoping no one could hear the shake in his voice.

Malfoy smiled nastily; his eyebrows had shot up in surprise at Harry’s response. He had received no more than a shrug every time he had confronted Harry previously. “No. I think I’ll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find. How about- up a tree?”

“Give it here, Malfoy.” Harry repeated and he grit his teeth with anger. Suddenly it felt like all his pent-up frustration from the week had exploded inside him and was surging through his veins.

Malfoy seemed to enjoy the challenge though. “Come and get it then Potter!” In a blink of an eye, Malfoy was suddenly on his broom and flying up into the air.
Harry didn’t even think when he grabbed his own broom and intended to do the same.

“No Harry!” Hermione tugged on Harry’s sleeve to stop him leaving the ground. “Madam Hooch said not to fly. You’ll get in trouble! He’s not worth it.”

Harry shook his friend off. And before he knew it, he was soaring after Malfoy, he hardly recognised the crazy feeling of soaring up in the air. The way air rushed past his ears and the wind messed up his hair.

It was easy, it was fun, and it felt free.

The freest Harry had ever felt in his entire life, soaring through the air while sticking up for his friend. That’s what friends did after all. That thought reminded him of his reason for being so high. He sharply turned his broom to face Malfoy.

“You want it so bad, Potter? Go and fetch!” Malfoy yelled and then the Remembrall was soaring though the air.

As if in slow-motion, Harry saw the Remembrall rise and then fall. It was falling fast and before Harry even registered what he was doing he had pointed his broom towards the Remembrall and lent forwards, gathering more and more speed, flying about the small ball.

The wind whistled in his ears and combined with the other students screaming at him while watching as he stretched his hand out and clasped the small ball, just in time to lift his broom up before he toppled ceremoniously on the grass.
Harry let himself celebrate a little in his head while looking at the Remembrall glistening in his hand. His classmates ran over to him, and he saw Hermione smile at him. He grinned back. He’d won. He’d finally done something to best Draco.

Unfortunately, his victory was short-lived as a shrill scream sounded from across the field.

“Harry Potter!”

---

Blood rushed through Harry’s ears, and his hands became clammy and shaky as he watched Professor McGonagall storm through the field towards the class.

What was he thinking? Why didn’t he listen to Hermione?

Madam Hooch had said he would be expelled? Why hadn’t that put some sense into his stupid brain! Expelled! He would lose everything.

“Mr Potter and Mr Malfoy, follow me please boys.” Professor McGonagall had said sternly.

“What? Why me?” Malfoy exclaimed, but Harry hardly reacted and got up to follow numbly.

“You were also in the air without supervision, Mr Malfoy.” Professor McGonagall said, pursing her lips in disgust. “Do not try to deny it.”

Malfoy’s head bowed in submission, even he was intimidated by the tall Professor when she was angry.

Harry and Draco followed McGonagall into the castle, Harry cast a glance to Hermione, who was sullenly watching while clinging to the Remembrall. Perhaps that was the last time he would see his friend, if he was to be expelled.

Harry bit his lip. He was questioning now if he had done the right thing. He had stuck up for a friend who was not even there to be offended. And now he was in trouble, possibly expelled.

Why did he always have to mess everything up?

Harry tried to focus on his breathing, as it became laboured. Sure, Hogwarts wasn’t what he hoped but it was improving. He had made friends and he didn’t want to go back to the Dursleys. Anything but the Dursleys.

He didn’t want to leave behind his soft bed in the dorms, or the warm meals or the sweet pumpkin juice every morning. He could deal with bullies; he’s done it his entire life. But he couldn’t leave Hogwarts when his new life had only just begun. He’d rather have 10 Malfoys and Snapes and stay at Hogwarts than return home.

No, he wouldn’t cry. Not in front on Malfoy. He can’t give him the satisfaction.
He snuck a glace at the boy next to him. He still walked in his cocky, arrogant swagger, like he was just walking to the Great Hall for lunch. The sight made anger run though Harry’s veins. This was all his fault.

“Er- Professor?” Malfoy asked suddenly interrupting Harry’s thoughts, as his head cocked in confusion. “Where are we going? You’ve past your office.”

“We are going to the Dungeons, Mr Malfoy.” McGonagall said, sharply. “Professor Snape is your head of house, so he will deal with your punishments.”

Harry blanched at her words, and the colour drained from his face. Punishments. Harry was familiar with those. Life at the Dursleys made sure of that.

Harry wondered what Snape would do to them. Did they allow corporal punishment at Hogwarts? Harry bit down on his lip harder. He wouldn’t be surprised, especially given that this was Professor Snape. Harry didn’t think Snape would have any problem with it. He hated Harry after all.

On the other hand, Malfoy seemed to relax even more once he heard Professor Snape would be handling the punishments. Harry wasn’t surprised. Snape doted on Malfoy. He could do no wrong in the Professor’s eyes. He would twist it all so the punishment was only Harry’s. Just like Dudley always did.

Harry’s breath was becoming more laboured now, and his hands started to sweat. He couldn’t deny that Professor Snape frightened him. On a normal day, Harry was wary but now Harry had given the man a reason to be angry at Harry, not that he needed one anyway.

The time they waited at Snape’s door after McGonagall had knocked was probably a few seconds but to Harry it felt like an eternity.

“Enter.” His voice sounded through, and Harry held his breath as McGonagall opened the door and hurried the boys into the room.

Harry kept his head down; he couldn’t bear to even look at the Professor. Harry knew that Professor McGonagall was explaining to the potions master why they were there but he could hardly hear the words over the blood rushing through his ears.

A slam of a door pulled Harry out of his stupor as he realised McGonagall was gone. They were left with Snape, at his mercy.

Harry gulped.

There was silence, before Professor Snape finally spoke.

“Madam Hooch made it quite clear you were to remain on the ground. Is that correct?” Professor Snape spoke. His voice was quiet but it no less terrifying.

Harry took this opportunity to raise his head and snuck a glace at his professor through his eyelashes.

The man was positively fuming, and although his voice seemed calm, his body language was anything but. His hands were clenched into fists and his face formed into a scowl.

“Yes sir, but-” Draco began, but Snape’s fist landed on the table with a loud slam, interrupting Draco’s excuses, making Harry flinch, his eyes squeezing shut.

“Then please enlighten me as to why both of you deliberately disobeyed a member of authority!”

Harry’s hand became clammy again and he tried to wipe them on his robes discreetly, to calm his nerves, but nothing seemed to be able to ease of Harry’s anxiety. Especially being in a room alone with his worst bully and most hated teacher.

“It was Potter, Sir!” Malfoy exclaimed, his hand pointing at Harry as he stared in disgust.

Harry knew it was coming. The blame would be on him. It always is.

“He stole Longbottom’s Remembrall and was showing off to everyone throwing it and catching it on his broom. I knew he had no experience on a broom and I was only trying to get him to come down before he hurt himself or someone else if he crashed into them!” Malfoy talked in a rush, his words tumbling out his mouth as if he thought Harry would interrupt him to refute it.

But Harry didn’t. He knew how this went. There’s no point in fighting it.

Snape kept silent also, as he inspected the boys in front on him, his eye twitching. “Is that so?”

“Yes sir, you see I only disobeyed in order to stop Potter from performing a death-defying stunt and injuring himself or someone else!” Malfoy kept going, as if Harry’s silence fuelled his drive to continue defending himself.

“I see.” Snape said shortly. When Harry opened his eyes, he saw Snape narrow his eyes in suspicion and Harry thought it looked like he didn’t quite believe Malfoy’s story. “And Mr Potter, do you have anything to add?”

Harry’s head whipped up to look at the Professor on being addressed. He opened his mouth, the truth and the real account of events on the end of his tongue.

But he held himself back.

There’s no way he would believe him. This was Snape they were talking to, and the man clearly hated him. Harry thought he might get into even more trouble by being accused of lying so he shot his eyes down instead and weakly shook his head.

Snape hummed. “Interesting.”

Harry held his breath and it felt like they were stood for an eternity before Snape spoke once more.

“50 points from Slytherin for your complete lack of respect for the instructions from a member of staff from both of you, and for you Mr Malfoy one week of detention." Snape spoke, crossing his arms in front of his chest as both boys looked up in disbelief.

Draco opened his mouth to protest but Snape didn’t give him chance.

“Regardless of your intentions Mr Malfoy, you still disobeyed and still could’ve been seriously hurt.” Draco looked angry and Harry was shocked to see him so openly glaring at their head of house. Harry would never have that kind of confidence.

“And for you Mr Potter, two weeks of detention should suffice in teaching you a lesson that arrogance and disobedience will not be permitted in my house.”

Harry nodded glumly, forcing himself to try feel relieved at Snape's words, that he was not in fact getting expelled. It definitely could've been worse.

Draco grinned at Harry, he looked like he’d just won the lottery. Harry cast his eyes down again and took some deep breaths. It was worth it, he thought. The detention and the points he could live with. He had defending his friend and that was more important than anything else.

“You are both to report here every evening at 7pm precisely and you will both serve your detention with me.” Snape said, watching closely the interaction between the two boys. “You’re both dismissed. I don’t expect this to ever happen again. And if it does, there will be severe consequences for the both of you. Is that clear boys?” Snape’s eyes seemed to drill into Harry’s soul, as if Snape could read Harry’s every thought, he couldn't keep his Professors gaze.

“Yes Sir.” The two Slytherins replied, and Harry hardly realised he had left until be was bolting down the corridor, and ran all the way back to his four poster bed and waited for his racing heart to slow down.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3741