Where I belong by Handa
Summary: Harry has always been looking for a place where he belongs and when Hagrid came to tell him about the wizarding world, he thought Hogwarts might finally be that place. That was until he was suddenly sorted into Slytherin house, and now he's not too sure. Can a certain Professor put aside childhood grudges and help Harry with his quest to find belonging?
Categories: Teacher Snape > Trusted Mentor Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Draco, Hermione, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape's a Bully, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Mean
Genres: Family
Media Type: None
Tags: Slytherin!Harry
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Bullying, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 18 Completed: No Word count: 38854 Read: 30814 Published: 21 Dec 2021 Updated: 31 Jan 2024
Story Notes:
this is a slow burn fic as that's what I enjoy, so there will be eventual Snape-adopts-Harry, but takes time to get there ;) leave a review if you enjoy

1. Chapter 1 by Handa

2. Chapter 2 by Handa

3. Chapter 3 by Handa

4. Chapter 4 by Handa

5. Chapter 5 by Handa

6. Chapter 6 by Handa

7. Chapter 7 by Handa

8. Chapter 8 by Handa

9. Chapter 9 by Handa

10. Chapter 10 by Handa

11. Chapter 11 by Handa

12. Chapter 12 by Handa

13. Chapter 13 by Handa

14. Chapter 14 by Handa

15. Chapter 15 by Handa

16. Chapter 16 by Handa

17. Chapter 17 by Handa

18. Chapter 18 by Handa

Chapter 1 by Handa
Harry heart raced with excitement as the scenery rushed by the fogged-up window of the Hogwarts Express. He couldn’t remember ever feeling this excited before.

Even when Hagrid had first knocked down the door and told him he was a Wizard, he was still in disbelief. But now, clad with his new spell books, trunk, wand, and little Hedwig by his side, he was finally starting to believe this was all real.

Everything seemed so unbelievable to Harry. But most unbelievable of all was the boy sat across from him, with fiery red hair and freckles decorating his skin, who was animatedly chatting away, like they’d been friends for their whole lives.

Ron Weasley had the most infectious smile, that made it impossible for Harry not to return it. He barely waited for a response from Harry before he declared them best friends. Harry could hardly speak out of shock.

No one had ever expressed any interest in Harry before. He was a loner. A loser. A freak.

But everything seemed different in this world. And Harry welcomed the change. He finally felt like this world could offer him a place to belong. Something he’d wished for his entire life, but never thought would ever come true.

“And then there’s Gryffindor, of course!” Ron exclaimed, meanwhile stuffing his cheeks with jelly slugs. Ron was explaining to Harry the houses of Hogwarts, upon his discovery that Harry was clueless on the subject. “Obviously, everyone knows that Gryffindor is the best house ever! All of my family has been in Gryffindor, so I know that’ll be my house.”

Harry focused; his cheeks flushed with anticipation as he tried to memorise every bit of information Ron was sharing. “So, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Gryffindor,” Harry listed hesitating while he counted on his fingers, and subsequently frowning when he realised something. “Ron… didn’t you say there were four houses?”

Ron’s happy grin faltered for a second. “Oh…yeah, the fourth house is called Slytherin. You...um…probably want to avoid that house, Harry.”

Ron’s answer confused Harry and he tilted his head in confusion. “Why? What’s wrong with Slytherin?”

He wasn’t used to asking questions, so he still sounded a little hesitant. At Privet Drive asking questions would’ve earned him at least a smack on the back of his head, and that’s only if the Dursleys were in a good mood.

“Well, for starters, Slytherin is where all the worst sorts of wizards come from.” Ron grabbed another jelly slug, he spoke so nonchalantly, as if it was common fact. But then his face grew serious, and he leant into Harry and dropped his voice near a whisper. “And er- Slytherin was the house of…you-know-who. Of course, you know all about him, I'm sure?”

Harry’s eyes widened in realisation, as he nodded sadly. He remembered back to his conversation with Hagrid when Hagrid revealed how his parents had really died, murdered by a wizard that was so feared, that most scarcely said his name. His hand lifted to his scar on his forehead before he even realised he’d done it and he remembered Hagrid saying where it really came from.

“So…um…what house do you think I’ll be in?” Harry asked softly, his hand dropping, and he shook his head gently in an attempt clear his head of sad thoughts.

“Are you kidding? You’ll be in Gryffindor with me, of course!” Ron grinned, and Harry couldn’t help but grin back at his first friend who was so eager to actually spend time with him.

Harry hoped with all his heart that Ron was right, and that he would get to stay with him in Gryffindor. Ron made him feel relaxed and safe with his laid-back nature and humour and he felt like he could do anything if Ron was by his side. Of course, he had only known him a couple hours, and Harry knew better than to get his hopes up, he’d been disappointed enough before to know that. But this time he couldn’t help having faith.

For the rest of the train ride, the boys stuffed their faces with wizarding sweets and Ron shared more stories of Hogwarts and magic. It was easy for Harry to feel a little insecure about how little he knew about the wizarding world compared to the others, but Ron didn’t seem to mind at all except being a little shocked that Harry had never heard of quidditch, which Harry learned was a sort of wizarding sport on brooms. Ron promised to teach Harry when they were at Hogwarts. Harry could hardly wait.

An hour away from their destination, the students were all advised to change into their robes. Harry frowned as he tried to tie his tie, which was a neutral grey until the sorting, when it would magically change to suit the house. He had never worn one before but was now desperately wishing he had paid more attention to his uncle tying his when he left for work every morning, but he was always too busy making breakfast or ducking Aunt Petunia’s frying pan to see.

Harry tried to hide the massive knot that was forming in his attempt to tie it correctly but when hearing Ron’s chuckles, Harry’s face went red. Who doesn’t know how to complete simple tasks like tying a tie? Why would Ron want to still be friends with some failure like him?

“Here, let me help.” Harry suddenly realised Ron was right in front of him and had grasped Harry’s tie before he could protest and easily untied the knots and retied it correctly for him.

Harry held his breath at the thought of someone’s hands being so close to his neck, reminding him of Dudley who liked to try and strangle him sometimes (there might still be some bruises there). But Ron was gentle, and it made Harry feel as if he could trust him even more. He hoped he was not placing his trust in the wrong person. God knows he’s done that before. Although he wasn’t worried about being close, it didn’t help Harry feeling embarrassed with getting his new mate to help him get dressed.

When he finished tying the tie, Ron noticed Harry’s unease and assured him that he also didn’t know how to tie a tie until a few years ago when his dad had taught him because he needed to wear dress robes for his second cousin Bertha’s wedding. Harry relaxed a little at that, and he tightened the tie around his neck and pulled his robes on ever the top.

Ron also assured him that it didn’t matter because when they were sorted into Gryffindor, he could help Harry tie his tie for school every morning, until Harry learnt himself.

Harry subtly pinched himself, thinking he must be dreaming.

After the students were reassured their belongings and familiars would be taken care of, Harry bid goodbye to Hedwig and then found himself submerged in crowds, but seeing the familiar face of Hagrid, who was escorting the first years, put him at ease, especially when he acknowledged Harry by giving him a wave. It made Harry feel special.

Hagrid then placed them all in boats and sent them across the lake to the castle. Harry forgot all his worries of the new world, the sorting, his classes and his teachers, the minute he saw the magnificent castle gleaming in the moonlight. Is this really where he would be living? Could he call this magnificent castle his new home? It surely didn’t even compare to number 4 Privet Drive.

Harry stayed close to Ron as the first years were taken through the castle, before they stopped in front of giant double doors. Chatter erupted as everyone felt the combined excitedness and nervousness of getting sorted, until it was interrupted by an unfamiliar drawl.

“So it’s true, Harry Potter’s come to Hogwarts.” Harry turned around to the see the source of the voice when he heard his name called.

He felt his face burn as all the eyes descended on him the whispers began. He hated the attention. Harry looked up to see the owner of the voice was a tall pale boy in front of him. His blond hair slicked back over his head as he smirked down at Harry. Immediately Harry felt wary of him.

“Well, I can’t help but be a little disappointed,” He laughed, nastily as he scrutinised Harry, who fidgeted with his robe nervously. “Why, this can’t possibly be the ‘Boy who lived’, he looks like a skinny little runt to me.”
Harry’s face got redder as those around the boy laughed loudly as his comments.

Harry hadn’t met many wizards yet, but all of them had shown him more kindness than he could ever imagine, but in that moment, Harry realised that although this world was miles better than his old one, every world had bullies and Harry was destined to always be the butt of the joke.

“Hey, leave Harry alone.” Harry nearly jumped when he heard Ron speak up from beside him. Harry watched in awe as his new friend stood between Harry and the bully, defending him.

This was new.

Nobody had ever stood up for Harry like this and he felt an overwhelming gratitude for Ron but was also a little scared as he didn’t want Ron to get hurt because of Harry.

The bully wasn’t intimidated by Ron in the slightest and instead laughed in his face. “What do we have here?” He looked Ron up and down, snarling. “Red hair, and a hand-me-down robe? You must be a Weasley.”

Ron’s confidence faltering was all it took for the bully’s comments to be confirmed to him. He laughed again loudly and so did his minions, before turning his attention back to Harry.

“Look, Potter. I was only being honest. I know it’s not your fault, you were raised by Muggles.” The boy spat out the word. “Filthy vermin are what I think they should be called. You need someone to guide you in his world Potter, there’s many things you don’t know.” The bully said, suddenly serious, as opposed to his joking tone before. “For instance,” He looked a Ron again in disgust. “Some wizarding families are better than others, and someone like you doesn’t want to be making friends with the wrong sort.” The bully held out his pale hand to Harry, and Harry stared at it, confused. “I can help you there. I’m Malfoy. Draco Malfoy.”

Draco said his name as if it held the most importance, but it just left Harry confused as he stared at his outstretched hand.

Did this bully just insult him and now he wants to be Harry’s friend? Harry had never had a friend before, but he was quite sure that’s not how it worked usually.

How Ron had treated him, yes that’s what he wanted in a friend, definitely not Draco Malfoy.

Harry realised he was still looking blankly at Draco’s hand and made a split second decision. “I, um, think I can figure out the wrong sort for myself, thanks.”

Immediately the others erupted into curious whispers, and Harry worried he did the wrong thing. He just didn’t want to lose his first ever friend who had also stood up for him. He and Ron were going to be in Gryffindor together and he didn’t want to ruin that. That’s where he belonged, he just knew it. He shot a quick glance at Ron to see him smile slightly back and he knew he had done right.

Draco was angry, his face tinged pink with embarrassment as everyone stared at the scene before them. Harry got the feeling that, like Dudley, Draco rarely got told no and his way of ensuring it stayed like that was to intimidate even those he lets close to him. Draco’s eyes narrowed and Harry had to look away from the ferocity in them.

“You’ll regret this Potter,” Draco spat, and Harry couldn’t help flinching a little. “Making an enemy out of me is not something anyone wants.”

Harry opened his mouth, but no response came. As he frantically searched his brain for a response, he heard the clearing of a throat behind him.

They all turned to see a tall, sour-faced woman with her hair pined back in a tight bun. She looked down on the first years sternly, but not unkindly.

Harry found out that the tall woman was called Professor McGonagall, and after a short speech about the sorting ceremony and what houses meant to Hogwarts, all which Harry had already learnt from Ron of the train, they were led into the Great Hall.

The Great Hall of Hogwarts was enchanting, and Harry was, yet again, in awe of the wizarding world. Four long tables fed down the centre of the great hall, filled with students of all ages, who turned to look at them walking down.

It made Harry a little uneasy at the attention but being surrounded by other first years, made him feel better, as well as the hope at finding somewhere he truly belonged. Harry was entranced with the view above which looked like the night sky, twinkling with stars, and below them a sea of floating candles, lighting up the room.

Professor McGonagall led them to the front in a crowd where they were to wait for their name to be read out. Harry looked up to see a long table with who Harry assumed were the teachers. He smiled shyly at Hagrid when he saw him sat there, and Hagrid smiled warmly back. Further along, Harry saw a man with a long silvery beard and half-moon spectacles who Harry recognised from his chocolate frog card as Professor Dumbledore. His looked kindly down on the first years.

Harry continued to look at the staff table when his eyes landed on one particular man who seemed to be staring back at Harry with intensity. The man’s eyes were so black, they reminded Harry of dark tunnels, and shiny black hair framed the man’s face like curtains. The way he stared at Harry with a lingering disgust, made Harry shiver and he quickly looked down at his shoes instead, feeling uncomfortable.

That was okay though, Harry was used to people not liking him.

“Abbot, Hannah.” The first name was called, and Harry saw a small brown-haired girl go up to the front and sit on a stool before a large old hat was placed on her head.

“Hufflepuff!” A cheer erupted from one of tables when the hat revealed Hannah Abbot’s house and Professor McGonagall lifted the hat as she went to go join her house mates. More students were called and sorted before Harry heard a familiar name.

“Malfoy, Draco!” The blonde-haired bully swaggered up to the stool, exuding confidence.

McGonagall hardly placed the sorting hat on his gelled back hair before it shouted “Slytherin!” Draco smirked as Harry and Ron looked at each other. Harry remembered what Ron had said about bad wizards being in Slytherin.

“Potter, Harry!” Harry jumped as he heard his name, he was so deep in thought. Ron nudged him forward and gave Harry a thumbs up.

Harry saw him mouth: “See you on the other side!” and he smiled nervously back.

He walked up to the stool like all the other students and only then did he realise the whispers and stares around him. Every student and every teacher it seemed was interested in where Harry would end up.

He looked resolutely at the ground, hating the attention. He hoped this wasn’t going to be a reoccurring theme in Hogwarts.

He felt the hat sit on his head; it was heavier than he thought it would be. “Hmmm, difficult, very difficult…” Harry jumped and nearly fell off the stool as he heard the hat speak to him. “Plenty of courage I see, not a bad mind either…talent? Oh yes. And a…thirst to prove yourself. But where should I put you?”

Harry didn’t know if the sorting hat was talking to itself or if Harry was supposed to answer. He closed his eyes and thought hard, somewhere I will belong, somewhere I belong, he chanted in his mind hoping the hat would hear.

“Somewhere you belong eh?” The sorting hat replied, and Harry was happy he got through to it.

Harry continued his mantra somewhere I will belong, somewhere I will belong somewhere I will belong.

“Belonging is not a place, Harry Potter, it is but a feeling, you must remember that.”

Somewhere I will belong somewhere I will belong somewhere I will belong, Harry continued. Why didn’t the hat just understand?

“Ok…yes…I think I have a place where you can belong.” The sorting hat pondered. “This house is full of people also trying to find a place to belong and I am certain that they will be able to help you on your way. You must trust me, child.”

Harry held his breath with anticipation, his hands were getting clammy. He knew he had been sat in this stool more that the students before him. Maybe Harry just didn’t belong in any of the houses and the sorting house was about to kick him out of Hogwarts. Harry shuddered at the thought. To get so close to a place he could call home to only have it ripped away from him and sent back to be a slave to the Dursleys.

“Better be…” Harry’s thoughts were interrupted by the sorting hat. It had finally come to a decision. “Slytherin!”
To be continued...
End Notes:
I'm new to this and have no idea how to do italics or page breaks lol
Chapter 2 by Handa
Silence. Harry cringed, too scared to open his eyes. Unlike everyone’s else’s sorting, applause did not follow, and instead only shocked whispers could be heard.

All the hope and excitement Harry had been feeling plummeted to his stomach and made him feel sick. ‘Slytherin is where all the worst sort of wizards come from’ Ron’s words echoed in his mind. He thought of Draco Malfoy and then of Voldemort who killed his parents.

Only Harry would be given such an amazing opportunity and mess it up. Even in the wizarding world he was a freak who messed everything up.

Harry felt the sorting hat being lifted from his head and looked up to see Professor McGonagall smiling softly down at him. She kindly placed a hand on his back, and he took the message and hopped down from the stool. He felt eyes on his from every direction and whispers about Slytherin, Gryffindor, his parents and you-know-who. He kept his eyes resolutely on the ground as he trudged over to the Slytherin table and sat with the other first years.

“Who’d have thought little Potty-Pot would’ve found himself in the snake pit.” Draco murmured from across him as the sorting continued in the background and he cringed. Could this have gone any worse?

“Weasley, Ronald!” Harry’s head snatched up at Ron’s name and he saw Ron do as he did before and sit upon the stool.

Maybe Ron could be in Slytherin with Harry and keep him company? Harry hoped, but his hopes were crushed as a loud “Gryffindor!” sounded throughout the hall and a cheer erupted from the Gryffindor table.

Harry sighed, that should’ve been him, if only he hadn’t had been such a freak.

Harry saw Ron grin with pride, and he went to join the other first years and he saw Ron’s brothers which Harry met on the platform, yelling and patting Ron on the back, making Ron flush and he laughed along with them.

Harry had to look away and down at his, now green, uniform as the rest of the sorting continued, and few more first years came to sit beside him. The sorting soon finished, and Professor Dumbledore came up to the front to make a speech. Harry tried to listen but his head was spinning.

He tried to stay positive. This could still be a new start for him. It didn’t matter that he was in a bad house or that he was separated from Ron or that he was yet again going to be living in close quarters with a bully (nothing new with that).

The feast began and while the other Slytherins resolutely ignored him (taking the lead from Draco), Harry tried several times to make eye contact with Ron from the Gryffindor table but had no luck. He tried to eat a little but all the sweets from the train and the added discomfort of the sorting, had make him feel a little nauseous.

Nearing the end of the feast, Dumbledore announced that the prefects would be escorting the new students to their dormitories. As everyone stood up to leave, Harry stuck another glace up at the staff table and noticed Hagrid looking at him. When he saw Harry looking back, he gave him a happy wave which Harry returned, relief flooding through him that Hagrid still liked him.

“Quite fitting how you’d made acquaintance with that massive oaf, Potty.” Draco drawled and the other first years laughed along. “Don’t you agree Blaise?”

“Yeah, they were both raised by filthy animals.” The boy who Harry assumed to be Blaise bumped Harry’s shoulder nastily as they all followed the Slytherin Prefect, and the other Slytherin first year boys roared with laughter.

Harry tried his best to remember the route they were taking, as the Prefect led them through the confusing corridors of the dungeons. He stopped in front of an unassuming brick wall and Harry stepped on his tip toes to try see how they can enter the Slytherin common room as he knew no one would help him.

“Foxglove.” The prefect said and with that, the plain brick wall transformed into a passageway of stairs. Even though Harry didn’t want to be in Slytherin, he couldn’t help but be impressed and a little excited as if he was part of a secret club.

They were all greeted with a rather large stone room, lit up with a green hue coming from the windows which Harry noticed were underwater, as small fish which harry didn’t recognise swam past. A large fireplace stood in the back, surrounded by green couches and clad with Slytherin students who curiously looked at the new students. Above the fireplace was a large snake statue, which to Harry’s shock, moved its head to look at the new students as well!

Harry’s attention was diverted when all the student’s chatting quieted to whispers and they all looked to the right, where Harry saw the tall dark teacher from the great hall striding into the common room. Harry gulped as he remembered how he glared at Harry with a dislike even before he was sorted and knew that this teacher definitely didn’t like him.

“Welcome…to Slytherin house.” He sneered. His voice was quiet, but it didn’t make it any less frightening. His eyes scanned over the first years and scrutinized them. “I am Professor Snape, Potions Master at Hogwarts but I am also Head of Slytherin House. While you are at Hogwarts, your house is your home, and your housemates are your family. Within Hogwarts, Slytherin tends to have a bad reputation,” Harry saw Professor Snape’s lip twitch as some of the older Slytherins sniggered. “But that only requires Slytherins to present an even more united front. I implore you to prove the…superstitions wrong.”

Harry smiled at this. He hoped that he could prove this superstition and reputation wrong and be a good wizard, to not be a freak. Maybe if he proved that being in Slytherin didn’t change him, Ron would still want to be friends with him…

“Ahh, and who would have thought…Harry Potter, in the snake pit…” Professor Snape drawled nastily, and Harry’s head whipped up at his name to see his head of house looking down on him cruelly, and all eyes across the room stare at him. Harry shuffled uncomfortably at the attention, his smile dropping instantly. “Celebrity status and fame will get you no where in Slytherin house, Potter. Better you know that now- save time.”

Harry felt his face burn with embarrassment as everyone sniggered once again at his expense. Even Professor Snape’s lip twitched in satisfaction. His grit his teeth and lowered his head, waiting for the ridicule to be over.

Harry was suddenly overcome by exhaustion. Today has been a long day of excitement that sadly ended in sudden disappointment and Harry was just looking forward to getting to rest his head and forget it all.

Luckily Harry’s prayers were answered, and Professor Snape moved on from Harry after getting no response and after a few more rules (including not to antagonise the squid through the window), he instructed all the first years to go to bed. All the Slytherin Dormitories were through doors of the left for the boys and the right for the girls.

Harry’s heart plummeted once more when he realised who his dormmates were. Harry trudged behind the other first year boys into the dorm and once spotting his trunk, made his way to the adjacent bed, glad to see he was closest to the exit and furthest from the other boys. Perhaps the castle knew which one he would like the most.

It was late and Harry wanted to do as Snape said and go to bed so he opened his trunk, grabbed his PJ’s and went straight to the bathroom to change- there was no way he was taking his clothes off with the other boys in the room.

He quickly changed and brushed his teeth and slipped back into the dormitories, hoping that they would all just forget he was even there. He wasn’t so lucky.

“Where’d you get the rags from Potty?” Draco called out from his bed and all the other boys laughed along.

Harry just wanted to be alone. Even at the Dursleys he had somewhere to escape all the bullying, even if it was just his small cupboard under the stairs. He’s never even slept in the same room as someone else before.

The small, tired boy ignored them and crawled into his four-poster bed, clad with emerald silk sheets, and reached for the curtains to give himself some privacy. He did feel a sense of relief when he was safe in his curtained bed and listened to the other boys chat away excitedly about Hogwarts, ignoring Harry’s existence.

Harry allowed himself a little excitement from the bed. Harry had never slept on a bed before, but this was the grandest bed he’d ever seen. He fell into the soft sheets, cushioning his body and he sighed as he thought about his day.

How could it have gone from such elation and excitement to the dread and loss he felt now. He thought about Ron up in Gryffindor without him and what could have been. It just wasn’t fair!

But Harry had learnt early on that life simply wasn’t fair, and especially not fair for one Harry Potter. Tomorrow would be better, Harry thought to himself. He let himself be happy for small things such as the magnificent bed surrounding him. It sure didn’t compare to his small mattress in his cupboard.

The soft mattress and silky sheets were pulling him in, and he curled up, listening to the other boys chatting away. Not until the last goodnight was uttered by the other boys could Harry finally relax and let himself drift off to sleep.
To be continued...
Chapter 3 by Handa
It took Harry a few minutes once he woke up to remember where he was and what was going on. Instead of the hard lumpy surface Harry was used to, he was encased in soft silky sheets upon a mattress as soft as a cloud and a soft fluffy pillow lay under his head. Everything soon came flooding back as he heard voices of boys around him, and he sat bolt right up in his bed and his eyes flung open to greet a sea of green.

Everything came flooding back. Hagrid, Wizard, Magic, The Train, Ron, Draco, Hogwarts. And then…

Slytherin.

No. He thought when he felt the gloomy thoughts start to return. He wouldn’t let his house define this experience. Today would be better. He needs to stay grateful for what he has and not be sad about what he lost.

This magical world could never be as bad as the muggle one he was living at the Dursleys. Admittedly, it was already much better.

He was offered a ginormous meal last night, although admittedly he couldn’t eat much of it. He’s snuggled up in a nice warm bed and had nice new robes to wear to class. With that thought he timidly opened the curtains on his bed and reached for his glasses.

A quick glance at the clock, struck panic in him though, when it told him that it was already 6:45 and Professor Snape had said to be at Breakfast specifically by 7 o’clock to receive their schedules.

“Hey look, Draco! Baby Potty is finally awake!” A boy who Harry thought was Gregory Goyle said as he was pulling his jumper over his head. Or was he Vincent Crabbe?

Harry stood up and made his way to his trunk just to be stopped by Draco Malfoy himself stalking up to Harry making him back up a few paces. Why, oh, why did he have to share a room with these people? Harry squeezed his eyes shut and tried to think positive thoughts again but failed when Draco’s hand landed roughly on his shoulder shoving him down.

Harry yelped as he hit the floor hard and heard laughter erupt around him as the other boys crowded and laughed at him. This was quite a familiar position for Harry. Dudley and his gang often cornered Harry but usually Harry had the chance to at least try outrunning them first. The hopelessness of having to share a room with his bullies was creating a tightening feeling in his stomach.

“You embarrassed me yesterday, Scarface.” Draco spat at Harry and Harry flinched as Draco raised his fist again and he braced himself for another hit. “Now you need to pay for that.”

“Draco, we don’t have time.” A voice drawled and Harry thought it was Theodore Knott who had been quite quiet since Harry arrived in Slytherin. “Snape said we had to be there by seven and plus, he’s not worth it.”

Harry thought it might be some sort of trick so kept his eyes firmly shut and didn’t move a muscle. He was surprised when no blow came and cautiously opened one eye. Draco was staring directly back menacingly.

“You’re right, Knott.” He said slowly, not taking his eyes off Harry. “Let’s go boys. Leave Potty to some privacy.”

Harry furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. This certainly wasn’t familiar territory anymore. Dudley would never pass up the opportunity to hurt Harry especially when he was this vulnerable to him. The strange turn of events put Harry uneasy.

Harry let out a huge breath of relief when they all left him to it. This was the first time he had been alone since the before the Hogwarts Express. How optimistic he had been then…

“Stay positive.” Harry whispered to himself to try and remind his brain of how lucky he was to even be here.

He rushed to where he left his uniform yesterday and was shocked to see it all neatly washed and folded, resting over his desk chair. His heart dropped when he saw the tie Ron had helped him with had been magically untied folded up. He thought he must have the worst luck in the world.

He growled in frustration as he attempted to tie his tie but grimaced as a large knot appeared instead. The clock ticked by to 6:55 and Harry realised that it would have to do. Harry turned to look for his school bag, which was full of his new books and equipment, and soon found that it was no where to be seen.

No! Where had he put it? He was certain he had left it right by his bed!

There was only so many places Harry could look in the dorm before he realised that his bag was truly lost. Sighing, Harry resigned himself to his fate and decided to head to breakfast anyway, in order to minimise the trouble, he’d ultimately get in with Snape.

Maybe he could sneak away before the end and go to Hogwarts lost and found and get supplies there? Did Hogwarts even have a lost and found?

Harry arrived at breakfast 10 minutes late, after getting lost a few times coming up from the dungeons. He rushed into the Great Hall hoping no one would notice, with his head firmly faced down and walked to the Slytherin table.

Harry gasped in surprised as he saw his bag sat waiting for him and ran up to it, so relieved to see it that he didn’t think about why it was there and not in the dorm. Only when his hand brushed on the sodden material of the bag did laughter erupt from around him.

“Enjoy your bag Potty!” Malfoy sneered from across the table, his face practically glowing with excitement. “We gave it a little trip down the toilet just for you!”

Some of the first year Slytherin girls nearby screamed in disgust at the thought and Harry tried his best to ignore them as he slipped into the bench and clutched the soiled bag to his chest, hoping the contents wasn’t too ruined. He didn’t have any way of replacing them.

This new magical world was different to his old one in every way possible and took some getting used to, but every world has bullies. And Harry knew from experience that him and bullies didn’t mix well. It finally made sense why the others had left so quickly that morning and Harry scolded himself for leaving himself so vulnerable.

He knew better than that.

--

As Severus Snape sipped on his morning coffee, he reflected. He still couldn’t really believe the events of the day previous.

He had prepared himself for years and years for the arrival of the famous boy-who-lived to arrive at Hogwarts. And of all the scenario’s he imagined in his head, he never would have predicted this.

Truthfully, he had hoped teaching would have been behind him by the time the Potter spawn would arrive. He had hoped that selling potions on the side would have taken off into more of a sustainable income. Yet the years had come and gone, and he still found himself teaching little brats who had no interest in his practise.

He had comforted himself in that although he wasn’t able to get out of Hogwarts before Potter came, he would try everything in his power to have as little interaction with the brat as possible. Except for a few detentions every now and then to keep Severus in a good mood.

The thought of Potter being a Slytherin didn’t even cross his mind. Who’d have thought?

The spawn of James Potter, his childhood bully, Gryffindor hero, renowned martyr of the wizarding world, placed in Slytherin house. His house.
Must the world punish him so? Severus knew he had done bad things in his past, but never did he think he deserves such torment.

But Severus was a firm believer in that everything happens for a reason. So just what was the reason behind Potter being placed in his house?

Severus had spent all night pondering this very question and the only conclusion he could fathom, was to ensure that history doesn’t repeat itself. Harry Potter would not have any opportunity to be the bully that James Potter was. Severus wouldn’t allow it. If Potter was in his own house, he now has the ability and authority to clamp down on the arrogant, idiotic and tormenting behaviour immediately.

He could protect his young snakes from the evil he had to endure through Hogwarts and wouldn’t turn a blind eye like Minerva or Albus had done.
It was a duty that Severus felt responsible for ever since he started as Head of House.

He would be firm and fair and watch over all his Snakes in a way that no one ever looked out for him when he was in that position. Potter wouldn’t get away with anything, if Severus had anything to do with it

He had hoped this message had been loud and clear in the speech he had done in the Slytherin common room last night. Potter looked especially subdued, and Severus was satisfied he had been scared into submission of the potions master when he singled him out and assured that his fame would get him nowhere.

That was, until 7 am came and went and all the Head of Houses, stood from the staff table, to give out schedules and Potter was nowhere to be seen. Snape sneered, clearly the message had not sunk in. He needed to be stricter on the little brat.

Of course, it wouldn’t be that easy to get the message through to him. He was a Potter by blood after all.

10 minutes later Potter came scrawling in, with his bird nest hair and uniform hanging off his scrawny body. Severus bristled and marched over to the Slytherin table. If the little brat thought he would be able to get away with this, he had another thing coming. Not only had he disobeyed Severus’ direct instructions, but he had embarrassed him in front of the entire staff. He can’t have them thinking he can’t handle the little brat.

“Potter!” Severus saw Harry jumped from his seat as he noticed Severus’ presence. Severus narrowed his eyes and lowered his voice as he towered over the boy. “Would you like to explain to me why you are late to breakfast?”

He watched Harry’s mouth open and close in shock, his eyes darting around but not meeting his eyes. Another sign of disrespect. This was going to be a long year.

“I got lost, Sir.” Severus rolled his eyes at the pathetic excuse.

“Not good enough, Potter.” He spat as he thrust a paper towards the boy. “Your schedule.” He sneered. “Ensure you stick to it, or you will face the consequences.”

The boy nodded quickly, and Severus noticed his face tinged pink at the attention they were gaining and he was satisfied by his intimidation.

“And sort out that sorry excuse for a tie.” He pointed to the green knot hanging round the boy’s neck with his wand, noticing the slight flinch he made at the fast action. Potter obviously thought himself above the rules to present himself well and must’ve thought it was ‘cooler’ to tie it in a terrible way. “I will not have you prancing around representing Slytherin house looking like a scrappy house elf.”

Some of the other Slytherin first year boys laughed loudly at the comment and Severus felt his lip twitch. Oh, he was enjoying seeing the boy squirm.

“See to it that it is sorted by your Potions lesson this afternoon or you will lose points and find yourself in detention. Do I make myself clear?” Severus drawled.

“Yes sir.” Potter all but whispered back.

Very satisfied by how he handled that, Snape turned around to make his way back up to the staff table his robes billowing behind him, leaving a rather miserable Harry behind.
To be continued...
Chapter 4 by Handa
“Hi Ron!” Harry grins as he spots his red headed friend sat a desk with another Gryffindor boy when he makes his way into the transfiguration classroom for his first ever class. The relief of finally seeing his friend again was immense and he was happy when he saw he would have quite a few lessons with the Gryffindors. Perhaps it wasn’t the end of this friendship after all.

His hopes shattered as Ron barely even glanced at him when he called out to him.

Perhaps he just didn’t hear him. Harry was about to call again when Professor McGonagall ushered them all to sit down and be quiet. Harry ended up being sat next to one of the Slytherin girls who Harry thinks is called Millicent Bulstrode. She sat in the middle of the desk with her paper and belongings effectively shoving Harry into the tiniest corner of the work bench.

Throughout Transfiguration Harry attempted to get Ron’s attention again but to no avail.

Harry wished he was sitting further forward so he could get his attention but also because sitting at the back made it rather difficult to see the blackboard McGonagall was pointing to. While squinting at the board and trying to take notes on the 3 laws of Transfiguration, Harry decided he would try and talk to Ron after class but by the time he left the classroom in search for them, they were thoroughly immersed in the crowds.

Harry tried not to be too disappointed as he would have more opportunities to see them later on in the day.

Next period, Harry had Herbology with the Ravenclaws so he hurried after the other Slytherins so he could follow the way to not get lost, but he ensured he followed from a distance so they wouldn’t bother him. A small woman ushered them into a greenhouse where she introduced herself as Professor Sprout.

She seemed kind to Harry and she proved him correct when she awarded him 5 points for correctly adding a hydration potion to his shrivel-fig tree.

As always, his happiness didn’t last long. As soon as Professor Sprouts back was turned, someone threw a Shrivel-fig at Harry’s station making it explode on his robes. Harry didn’t see the culprit but suspected the Slytherin’s due to their loud laughter after the event. Professor Sprout scolded the boys but obviously assumed Harry was in on the joke and did not punish them for it.

Soon the class finished, and the students were dismissed to breaktime.
Most students were overjoyed by the simple break, but Harry felt himself panic.

What was he supposed to do in all that time?

Double History of Magic with the Gryffindors was next on his schedule and Harry decided to head to the fourth floor in the meantime. Maybe he’d see Ron there and get the chance to speak to him?

Once finding the correct classroom, Harry stood outside it and waited, staring down at his holey tattered shoes. He had nothing else to do, and no one to talk to.

Maybe during lunch break he could go to the school toilets and try to wash the shrivel fig remanence off his robe.

Ten Minutes of watching students walk past and ignore him later, Professor Bins welcomed Harry into the classroom and students came filing in slowly. Professor Bins was a ghost and although he wasn’t unfriendly, he didn’t exactly want to chat to the students either. Harry took a seat at the front of the classroom hoping that he would be able to read the board better and spot the Gryffindors when they came in.

When Ron entered the classroom again with some other Gryffindor boys, he tried to talk to them and twisted in his seat to try and get their attention but no such luck. Harry sighed, frustrated as Bins started the lecture.

He tried really hard to concentrate and listen to what Bins was saying, he really did. But his monotonous voice along with the constant kicking to the back of his chair by Malfoy, rendered his efforts useless. Professor Bins dismissed the class for lunch and Harry speedily tried to pack up his belongings so he could catch up with Ron and the other Gryffindors, but he was too late and they were gone yet again.

Sullenly, Harry made his way to the Great Hall for lunch. He noticed Ron sat at the Gryffindor table, animatedly chatting to his brothers about his first day of school. Harry longed to be sat next to him right now. He had only known Ron barely a day, yet he missed him already.

It was a rather lonely lunch for Harry but that was nothing he wasn’t used to, at least he was actually getting consistently fed here.

Stay positive Harry repeated in his head. No matter how much he hated the other Slytherins or missed Ron he had to focus on the positives.

Harry made a mental list.
1. He got to sleep in a bed
2. He got 3 amazing meals a day
3. No Dursleys

After having some food, and narrowly avoiding Malfoy’s leg trying to trip him up, Harry found the nearest boys’ toilets and tried to wash out the dried Shrivel-fig from his robes. It wasn’t toxic and would easily wash out, but it was starting to smell now, and Blaise had called him a 'Stinky Fig-Pig' at lunch, so Harry wanted to get it out now. Not that they wouldn’t just find other horrible things to call him.

Next on Harry’s schedule was Charms with the Hufflepuffs and Harry decided to once again wait outside the classroom for it to start.

The Charms Professor, Professor Flitwick, had seen Harry standing there and invited him in early when class was nearly about to start. Harry liked the professor who was barely any taller than him, he seemed kind and let Harry choose his seat as he was the first one in the classroom.

Students began filing in moments later and Harry decided he quite liked Charms. Harry chose a seat near the front of class so he would be able to see the board clearly but that also worked in his favour as the other Slytherins wanted to sit at the back of class, more in favour of picking on some small Hufflepuffs than him, so he wasn’t bothered by them.

Flitwick also awarded him 10 points when he correctly performed the wand movements for the levitation charm. Harry beamed at the positive feedback and decided that yes Charms was definitely his favourite lesson so far.

Potions was Harry’s last class of the day, and it was with the Gryffindors. He was a bit wary because it was with Professor Snape who Harry knew was already taken against him.

Still happy from his success in Charms, Harry decided he was determined to get Ron to talk to him this time. Maybe they could even spend their free time after class together, so Harry wasn’t alone again.

It was raining heavily outside now, and the dungeons were especially dark and dreary as Harry followed the other Slytherins down to the Potions classroom.

Professor Snape greeted them all at the door with a sneer and a swift hand gesture to enter and they did. Harry kept his head down as an attempt to not be noticed.

He found a stool near the middle of the classroom, and ended up sitting next to Millicent Bulstrode again, and like before, she gave him the smallest amount of workspace while she chatted loudly to the other Slytherin girls.

The Gryffindors came in next, and Harry noticed Professor Snape’s grimace deepen. Well at least Harry wasn’t the only one Snape seemed to dislike, Harry thought.

Snape slammed the door loudly after the last Gryffindor had entered and the class immediately hushed. He stormed to the front of the classroom, his robes billowing behind him.

"You are here to learn the subtle science and exact art of potion-making," He spoke in barely more than a whisper, but they caught every word. Harry could barely breathe in case it brought attention to himself. "As there is little foolish wand-waving here, many of you will hardly believe this is magic. I don't expect you will really understand the beauty of the softly simmering cauldron with its shimmering fumes, the delicate power of liquids that creep through human veins, bewitching the mind, ensnaring the senses...”

Snape strolled up and down the classroom, coming too close to Harry that he was comfortable with, his robes billowing behind him.

“I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even put a stopper in death—if you aren't as big a bunch of dunderheads as I usually have to teach."

While Snape was talking Harry turned his head to see if he could spot Ron. However as soon as he spotted the vibrant head of hair, he jumped in surprise by a violent shout.

“Potter!" shouted Snape suddenly, as his hand slammed on Harry’s desk with a deafening crack. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Harry’s mind spiralled as he stared back, confused. He didn’t know he was supposed to have a prior knowledge of potions before coming here. He registered none of the words coming out of Snape’s mouth.

“I-I-I don’t know sir.” Harry stuttered, staring down at his desk as he heard Draco imitate his stutter behind him.

Snape’s lips curled into a sneer. “Clearly fame isn’t everything is it Potter? Let’s try again. Where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?”

Harry felt his face grow hot and he spotted a Gryffindor girl with frizzy hair, shoot her hand in the air. Why him? She clearly knew the answers to his questions.

“I don’t know, Sir.” Harry repeated clearer this time (in hopes Draco would stop imitating jis stammering), his eyes still firmly on the desk.

“Didn’t think to open a book before coming here Potter?” Snape sneered and Harry wished the ground would swallow him up. “One more try Potter, what is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?”

The Gryffindor girl was basically stood up now, and Harry wished in the moment he could read minds. Unfortunately, he couldn’t. “I don’t know, sir.”

Snape’s lip twitched, almost as if Harry had fallen straight into his trap. “What a shame.” He spat. “For your information, Potter, asphodel and wormwood make a sleeping potion so powerful it is known as the Draught of Living Death. A bezoar is a stone taken from the stomach of a goat and it will save you from most poisons. As for monkshood and wolfsbane, they are the same plant, which also goes by the name of aconite. Well? Why aren't you all copying that down?”

Snape yelled at the class and Harry scrambled for a pen with his shaky hands to write down what Snape said before he forgot.

“And that’s twenty points from Slytherin for failing to prepare for class, Potter.” Snape said and Harry felt the glares of the other Slytherins looking at him in distaste. “And a further ten points, and a detention, for ignoring my instruction this morning to fix your tie.”

Harry’s hands went straight to his neck where his tie lay. He’s completely forgotten about Snape’s warning about his tie at breakfast but then he realised there’s not much he really could’ve done about it, as he still can’t tie it.

“Get it fixed by tomorrow at Breakfast Potter, or it’ll be an additional ten points and two detentions. Do you understand?” Snape snapped.

“Yes Sir.” Harry felt as if his small high from Charms had been thoroughly flattened.

Harry only hoped that Ron wouldn’t hate him for being a Slytherin and they could spend some time together at Free time after class to raise his spirits. Maybe Ron could tie his tie for him again and show Harry how to do it for tomorrow.

Harry brewed a rather terrible potion in class. His were shaking something terrible and he also struggled to read the board correctly from his seat. That rewarded him a big lecture from Snape about it, rendering Harry even more miserable.

He had even blamed Harry for not reminding Millicent to add the beetle juice while stirring the potion, causing it to change the wrong colour. How was it his fault? Could this day get any worse?

Harry had all his belongings safely packed up by the time Snape dismissed them all and all but ran out the classroom, after Ron and his friends.

“Hey Ron!” Harry shouted once they had left the classroom and he practically ran down the corridor after them. He saw Ron’s eyes flicker over to him, but he just continued to chat animatedly to another Gryffindor boy about something.
No. Harry was not giving up that easily. “Ron, wait!”

“Why does that Slytherin keep calling you Ron?” The boy Ron was talking to asked him before shooting glares at Harry.

He all but spat out the word Slytherin, making Harry grimace a little but he ignored it and faced Ron, glad they finally stopped walking and looked at Harry.

“Um hiya Harry…” Ron said quietly, but his face lacked the cheeky smile Harry was used to from the train. In fact, he almost looked embarrassed.

“Um, how are you? How’s Gryffindor?” Harry asked shyly, his heart racing, as words tumbled out his mouth without thinking over them first. He shoved his hands in his robes to attempt to hide how bad they were shaking. “We haven’t really had chance to talk since the train and well I thought we could catch up before dinner-”

Some of the Gryffindor boys around Ron mumbled something to Ron and Harry thought he heard the word snake.

Ron cringed and interrupted Harry’s ramble. “Look Harry, give it a rest.”

Harry froze, his blood running cold. Yes, this day could indeed get worse.

“I’m a Gryffindor now and on the train, I thought you would be too, but I guess I was wrong.” Ron shrugged and he was clearly embarrassed to be the centre of attention with his Gryffindor friends. “Just leave it, ok? Go find some of your snakes to hang out with instead. It’ll never work.”

Harry wanted to tell him that he wished with all his heart he was in Gryffindor too, not a Slytherin. He wanted to tell him that he couldn’t hang out with the other Slytherins because they all hated him. He wanted to tell Ron to stay and please be his friend. He was longing for the feeling of the train to be back again. The feeling of having friends there for you. Friends to make you laugh. Friends to stand up to bullies for you. Friends to just spend time with. So he didn’t feel so alone.

But he didn’t say any of that.

Ron’s friends began to walk away and after getting no response from Harry, Ron ran to catch up with them, leaving Harry alone once again.

There was no way Harry was going to the Slytherin Common Room or back to the dorms, so Harry ran up to stairs of the dungeons and before he knew it he was racing out of the front gates and into Hogwarts grounds.

He barely noticed the rain pelting down on his body, which made violent shivers wrack his entire being. He couldn’t find it in himself to care that his new uniform would be ruined and his hair sodden. A tree root Harry hadn’t noticed cause him to trip and he went face first into the wet grass, coating him and his uniform in wet mud.

That was all it took for the emotion to finally take over Harry and he felt a sob rise up in his throat. He had such high hopes for this new life. Why did he have to be such a freak and ruin everything?

The sobs kept coming now and he couldn’t make them stop. All his pent-up frustration coming out.

It was strange. He rarely cried at the Dursleys; he was numb to their pain. And although he had been alone his entire life, he truly felt lonelier that in his entire life.

He wondered why his emotions couldn’t seem to hold it together like he usually did. He had been disappointed too many times to count. He had been bullied so many times that he had accepted his fate. He had been a reject and outcast from everyone else for as long as he could remember. So why was this any different?

Because he let himself hope.

He let himself hope and believe that all the misery, and bullies and loneliness was behind him. Now he knew better.

Misery followed Harry around like it was his own personal rain cloud. Maybe when he somehow defeated Voldemort, he had been cursed to a life of suffering. Or maybe Voldemort was haunting him. Making sure Harry was never happy.

A violent shiver raked his body and Harry didn’t know whether it was because of his crying or because of the freezing rain pelting down on him.

Harry’s next thought was interrupted as he lifted his head from between his knees to see a figure walking towards him.

“’Arry? Is that you?”
To be continued...
Chapter 5 by Handa
As Harry’s eyes met with the gentle giant, he immediately wanted to put his head back down and hope Hagrid would walk away because he was so embarrassed to be found like this. He must look so pathetic, sobs raking his body like he was some baby and mud coated uniform like he’d just been chucked in the lake. He didn’t want to lose Hagrid too, the only person who was kind to him.

“ ‘ey ’Arry? What’s ‘appened?” Harry blinked and suddenly Hagrid was bent down and was reaching out to him. Harry flinched away from the touch; he was feeling too vulnerable to accept comfort.

Harry opened his mouth to try and reply but as soon as he tried to say he was fine, another sob built up in his throat and he couldn’t help himself from starting to cry again. Here we go, now Hagrid would be so disgusted that he wouldn’t want to be friends with Harry either.

“Oh ‘Arry!” Hagrid said, clearly distressed from Harry’s appearance and obvious sadness. “’ere, let’s get yous out of the storm and inside first and then ye can tell me what ‘appened, alrigh’?”

Harry could barely respond before he felt two large hands pull him up under his armpits and guide him slowly onto his feet.

Harry whined; he didn’t want to move. He didn’t want to even be at Hogwarts anymore.

“Come now, ‘Arry. Ye gonna be fine, alrigh’?” Hagrid kept a hand on Harry’s shoulders, and he guided Harry to walk. At the back of Harry’s mind, he realised that they were going further away from the castle, not towards it. Maybe it was because of that, that Harry let himself be guided along by Hagrid towards a small Hut, near the forest.

Hagrid opened the small door and ushered Harry inside, with his hand still firmly planted on Harry’s shoulder. He was immediately surrounded by heat, causing his glasses to steam up, and Hagrid pushed down into his shoulder, so he softly fell into a large armchair. Harry could barely ask where they were when Hagrid placed a thick fur blanket on Harry’s shoulder’s, effectively covering his whole body, except his head.

Harry tried to say he didn’t want it until he felt it to be quite cosy, so he closed his mouth again and looked down at his sodden shoes.

“Do ye like tea, ‘Arry?” Hagrid asked and Harry looked up at him, his eyes still shining with tears, but his sobs quieted to small hiccups. He nodded quickly before fixing his gaze back down to his feet.

Just as Hagrid placed a cup of tea next to Harry and went to sit beside him, a bang interrupted then and Harry jumped, and his head whipped to look at Hagrid.

Hagrid wasn’t worried though and instead grinned. “Ah, Fang, forgot about ye, I did.” He stood and Harry’s eyes widened thinking about what ‘Fang’ could possibly be. Hagrid opened a small door on the right and Harry had no time to process what it was before a large dog was on top of him and slobbering all over Harry’s face.

He tensed up, memories of his Aunt Marge’s dog, Ripper, came back to him but he started to relax as Fang seemed to have no interest in biting Harry and was more excited rather than vicious. Hagrid chuckled loudly and Harry soon found himself giggling too, his worries forgotten as the big dog nuzzled itself under Harry’s hand, as if demanding to be pet.

“This is Fang. ‘e looks scary but he’s really jus’ a big softie, aren’t ye?” Hagrid grabbed Fang by the collar, not harshly, but away from Harry to give him some space and Fang sat contently at Hagrid’s feet. When he panted and looked at Harry, it seemed like he was smiling.

They sat in companionable silence for a few minutes and Harry took a sip of his tea, relishing the hot liquid in his belly, warming him up, although shakes still raked his body.

“So, ‘Arry, do ye wanna tell me what’s got you so upset?” Hagrid finally asked the question Harry had been waiting to hear. “Ye could’ve froze out there, if I’d not’ve found ye on me way back from dinner.”

Harry was surprised to hear that he’d been sat outside long enough to miss dinner. He thought he was only out there for a few minutes. He wasn’t that hungry anyway.

“Sorry Hagrid.” Harry sniffed, his voice croaky from his crying. “Just had a bad day is all...”

“Seemed like more that a jus’ a bad day to me.” Hagrid scoffed, although not nastily like Snape and the Slytherins had done earlier that day. “Ye seemed ‘appy coming off the train, what ‘appened?"

“I got sorted in Slytherin.” Harry sighed under his breath, immediately.
“So what? Slytherin is a respectable ‘ouse ‘Arry!” Hagrid exclaimed, while taking another sip of his tea.

“I’m sure it is, if you actually belong there Hagrid.” Harry mumbled.

“Ahh so ye don’t think ye belong in Slytherin eh?” Hagrid said softly, and Harry shook his head and looked down. “Now, whose been tellin’ ye that?”

That’s all it took for Harry to suddenly let it all out. Words ran out of Harry’s mouth like water from a burst dam. He told Hagrid about everything. Meeting Ron on the train. Getting on the wrong foot of Draco. The sorting. The other Slytherin boys teasing. How Professor Snape had ridiculed him in front of everyone. His bag going missing and the turning up wet from the toilet. Snape telling him off for his tie. Being alone at break and lunch. The shrivel-fig and losing points in potions for his tie and the finally trying to talk to Ron and his rejection.

Hagrid listened carefully as Harry talked about his day, he nodded and encouraged Harry to continue until he had finished. Harry took a deep breath and felt himself even start to feel a bit better just from speaking about it. He looked at Hagrid for a response, but he seemed deep in thought, so he took another sip of his tea, embarrassed that he had spoke so much.

“I’m sorry you had sucha tough day, ‘Arry.” Hagrid finally spoke. “I wish I knew wha’ to say to make ye feel better I really do.”

Harry looked down; he knew that there would not be much Hagrid could do to help him. It is not like he can time-travel or make his housemates like him or anything.

“But I do want ye to know that ye do belong at Hogwarts, ‘Arry.” Harry looked up at the half giant, who smiled sadly. “If there were ever a wizard to belong ‘ere, its you. You defeated you kow who, for merlins sake!”

Hagrid paused, as if letting his words sink in.

“I must admit, I meself was a little surprised to see ye in Slytherin myself but tha’ sorting hat never makes mistakes. It put ye there for a reason.” He said. “’nd take it from someone whose frequently told where ‘e should an shouldn’t be, the reason you were put in tha' house is ‘cause you belong there.”

“Thanks Hagrid.” Harry didn’t know if he really believed what Hagrid was saying but it made his insides feel all warm and fuzzy that Hagrid cared for him so. He didn’t want to allow himself to hope too much but he was glad he had a least someone at Hogwarts he could talk to.

“And if ye ever need anythin’ ‘Arry, don’t ‘esitate to come ‘ere to me cabin and I’ll remind ye jus’ how special ye are, alrigh’?” This time Harry grinned up at Hagrid at the praise. “Aye, there’s the smile I wanted te see!” Hagrid’s cheerful comments only made Harry grin more at the gentle giant. He really liked Hagrid. “’Ey, ‘Arry did ye not ‘ave any dinner then?”

Harry shook his head shyly as Hagrid tsked in disappointment before standing up and walking a few steps about to his little kitchen.

Now Harry was less distressed he took in the space around him and realised this is where Hagrid must live. It was cramped and Harry thought it must seem even smaller to the half-giant, but it was also homey and cosy, and it made Harry feel safe for the first time since he’d arrived at Hogwarts. He snuggled deeper into the fur blanket and tried not to think about how he’d eventually have to leave his little safe heaven. He’d much rather stay here than go back to the hell of Slytherin common room.

Hagrid forced him to eat some broth and Harry refused at first, saying that he wasn’t hungry but as soon as he took the first sip, he found himself quite hungry and quickly polished off the bowl, and thanked Hagrid for it.

He also offered Harry one of his rock buns that he made earlier which were not as tasty and much more like a rock than a bun, but Harry said it was delicious just to see the half-giant’s face beam with pride.

To Harry’s excitement he then also showed Harry some of what were called a blast-ended screwts that he had been breeding. It fascinated Harry even if he was a little wary of the strange magical creatures, and the smell was enough to put anyone off their dinner.

“Well, ‘Arry I better walk ye back te the castle, it’s getting up to curfew soon.” Harry’s heart dropped at the news but reluctantly nodded. “’ere, ye robes are nearly dry now.”

Hagrid handed Harry his robes which had been drying by the fire and Harry put them back on and started for the door until Hagrid called him back.

“One more thing, ‘Arry.” Hagrid said and knelt in front of Harry and raised his hands to Harry’s neck where his mess of a tie was waiting for him. Harry held his breath at someone being so close to his neck but surprisingly didn’t flinch as Hagrid gently worked on untying his tie. “I ‘aven’t done this since I was a Hogwarts student myself, but I’ll try me best.”

Surprisingly, Hagrid’s large hands were able to tie his tie well, albeit a little messier than the one Ron did for him. But at least it was tied in an actual tie, unlike Harry’s. “There, tha’ should do ye for now.”

“But, Hagrid, when I woke up this morning, my uniform was all washed and my tie was laid out for me already.” Harry asked, not seeing the point in Hagrid doing it when it magically unties by morning.

“Ah that’ll be the house elves ‘Arry.” Hagrid said as he tucked Harry’s tie back in his uniform and also did up his robe for him. Harry was so tired from his day that he didn’t worry about feeling like a baby and let him do it for him. It was quite nice to be taken care of for once.

“House elves?” Harry asked, through a yawn.

“They do the cookin’ and cleanin’ for Hogwarts.” Hagrid explained. “But if ye want, ye can meet me outside the Great Hall before breakfast I’ll tie it again for ye. Until ye learn for yourself, of course. Though, I’m an early riser, gotta get up to feed the crups”

“That would be great Hagrid! Thank you so much!” Harry exclaimed, grinning up at the half-giant again.

Hagrid chucked at Harry’s enthusiasm. “Not a problem ‘Arry. Come on, let’s get ye back to the castle now.”

Words could not explain how much better Harry felt about everything when he stepped into the school compared with how he left it. Hagrid walked him all the way back down to the dungeons and Harry felt proud to have the half-giant behind him, he felt like nothing would hurt him when he was there. He was dreading going back to the dorms and hoped that Draco and the others had taken an early night, but he very much doubted it.

“Have you forgotten how to tell the time, Mr Potter?” Harry jumped as he realised Professor Snape was suddenly in front of them, his arms crossed in front of him, and a menacing look on his face.

“Um, no sir?” Harry stuttered. Was this another one of his trick questions?

“Then do you care to explain why you were absent from dinner and you seem to have decided to wonder around the castle with only 5 minutes until curfew?” Snape demanded; his eyes narrowed in anger at the small boy in front of him.

Harry opened his mouth to answer, his heartbeat thrumming against his chest, but Hagrid beat him to it.

“Sorry ‘e’s a tad late Perfessor, tha’s completely my fault.” Hagrid said, completely oblivious to the daggers Snape was sending in Harry’s direction. “I got a bit carried away when I was showing ‘Arry me Blast-ended Screwts, te cheer him up, and we didn’t realise the time did we?”

Snape’s lip twitched, his eyes never leaving Harry’s. “Is that so?”

“Yeah, ‘Arry ‘ere was a bit upset weren’t ye? First day of classes can be a bit overwhelming for the little-uns, don’t ye think Perfessor?” Harry could’ve been angry that Hagrid told Snape he had got upset or at the fact he was referred to as a little-un, but he could only focus on avoiding Snape’s glare which was making him increasingly uncomfortable.

“Quite.” Snape quipped. He obviously was not in the mood for chatter. “Run along to your dorm, Potter.”

“Yes sir.” Harry said, glad to have been excused from the awkward conversation and whispered the password, Foxglove. He turned back before heading through the tunnel to see Hagrid waving at him.

Hagrid grinned. “See ya, ‘Arry. Remember what I said.”

Harry nodded and grinned back before clambering into the common room. Yes, he really liked Hagrid.

------

Severus Snape was confused. He didn’t like being confused. Harry Potter was just not what he expected.

Severus spent his entire life observing the actions of others. Because of this he had become quite well skilled at predicting behaviours. He had once again been observing Potter with great interest and he couldn’t get the little brat out of his head. Cursed Potter for worming his way into Severus’ mind.

At breakfast he had been convinced Potter was the insolent brat he expected, and his suspicions were confirmed by his lack of punctuality and disregard for uniform regulations, inherently reflecting his lack of respect for adults and insolent attitude.

Yet when he attempted to once again show Potter who was in charge in Potions class, he had not received the reaction he was expecting.

Instead of angry and defiant, Harry seemed almost sad and downtrodden.

Severus also noticed that for the entire day, he was never with his dormmates, or any of the other Slytherins.

Or anyone at all really.

Perhaps they had enough of Potter after one night of his constant bullying and had alienated him from the group and refused his friendship. Yes, that must be the case. His Snakes were far too smart to fall for Potter’s pranks and he was probably just sad that he could not get around them. Too used to everything in his life going his way.

But as he sat at the staff table the next morning at 6am, he watched with surprise as Potter nervously entered the Great Hall for breakfast, next to the half-giant. Just what was his obsession with the grounds keeper, and how had the brat manipulated him to be some sort of victim?

He narrowed his eyes when Hagrid patted Harry on the back before heading up to the staff table and Harry sat down to eat by himself.

It was very early. Breakfast was open at 6am to allow for early quidditch players to eat before practise, and, nearer to exams, for people to allow time for extra study.

For Severus himself, he liked to come to breakfast early so he could go back to his brewing before classes began. Unless it was the start of term and he had to wait so he could give out the schedules to his snakes, like he had yesterday.

He saw no reason as to why Potter was up so early just so he could eat by himself.

Severus couldn’t help but feel as if something wasn’t right. Potter must be up to something.

And Severus was going to get to the bottom of it.
To be continued...
Chapter 6 by Handa
“Good work, Mr Potter!” Professor Sprout beamed. “5 points to Slytherin.”
Harry tried to hide his grin as Professor Sprout awarded him points for correctly answering why Dragon Dung compost was effective in retaining the magical properties of plants.

He heard groans behind him from a few Slytherins.

“Figures, ol’ Potty would know all about different types of shit.” Draco sneered at Harry. Of course they would still be annoyed even if he just earned them points for their shared house.

He tried to ignore the laughter that followed Draco’s comment and focused on his list of to positives again. Since yesterday he had added a fourth one to the mental list.

1. He got to sleep in a bed
2. He got 3 amazing meals a day
3. No Dursleys
4. Hagrid was at Hogwarts.

The day had already started better than the previous because he had woken before all the other boys, so they couldn’t get a hold of his belongings and met Hagrid at the great hall so he could help him tie his tie. He tied it slowly and Harry finally think he may be able to tie it himself now.

Then he had breakfast in a peaceful solitude before the other Slytherins arrived, which was when he quickly disappeared to avoid them. But not before a letter landed in front of him from his head of head detailing his detention from the day before for his tie. Nevertheless, Harry still felt was quite proud of his plan to avoid them, and even the knowledge that he had to serve a horrible detention tonight didn’t change that.

Since this was their second lesson of Herbology, Sprout had started to give them homework now, for them to complete for their next lesson. Everyone groaned but Harry felt quite excited, in that it gave him something to do, outside of classes.

It was breaktime next and Harry decided to check out the library, to see if he could find a quiet place to read the next few chapters of his Herbology book. The library was also a good location as not only would the Slytherin's most likely not be there, but also once break was over he could easily walk up to the astronomy tower for his next lesson.

Content with his decision he headed to the library and once he got over the initial awe of the mass of books from floor to ceiling, he found a table at the back and went to put his bag down and pull out his Herbology book so he could start on the Homework and read ahead.

He barely got a few sentences into it before he was interrupted.

“Mind if I sit with you?” Harry looked up to see a Gryffindor girl with big bushy hair, right in front of him plonking a large book on the table next to him making him jump.

It took a few seconds for Harry to process that she was talking to him. After a further look he recognised the girl to be the one who had her hand up while Snape was grilling him the day before. After Harry’s better start to the day, he had almost accepted that his time at Hogwarts would be a lonely one as it had always been. He never thought someone would actually want to interact with him now.

But he scolded himself, quickly. He can’t get his hopes up again. The girl only asked to sit with him, she’ll probably leave when she realises how freaky and bad Harry really is.

“Erm, yeah, of course.” Harry stuttered, once he realised that he had just been staring blankly at her. “If you want to.”

“Of course I want to, otherwise I wouldn’t have asked.” The girl chattered happily and sat on a chair beside Harry. “I’m Hermione Granger. By the way.”

She stuck her hand out and Harry shyly returned it, hoping his hands weren’t too clammy. “I’m Harry. Harry Potter.”

“Oh! I’ve read about you!” Hermione’s eyes lit up with excitement. “You defeated you-know-who when you were just a baby! That is so interesting! You need to tell me all about it!”

Harry looked down, a little embarrassed. “I don’t really remember, if I’m honest…”

“Oh… that’s ok Harry.” Hermione reassured him. “I guess you were only a baby when it happened. It’s only I’m trying to learn as much about the wizarding world as possible. I’m a muggleborn, you see. Still trying to make sense of this world but these books are certainly helping me!”

Harry soon realised that it didn’t matter that he didn’t speak much as Hermione was all too happy to fill in all the silence. But Harry liked listening to her. Something about the excitement and passion that Hermione radiated made Harry feel the same.

“But isn’t Hogwarts amazing? Gryffindor’s fantastic, I’m so happy I was sorted there. Of course some of the others don’t really understand me much but I’m used to that. How’s Slytherin? What’s it like? Do you love it?”

So many questions, Harry didn’t know which one to answer first or what to answer at all. “Um, Slytherin is ok-”

“Just ok?” Hermione butt in, her head tilted in confusion. “You don’t like it?”

“Well, I guess I’d just rather be in Gryffindor. But… it’s fine.” He replied, his voice dropping to a whisper by the end of the sentence. He wanted to be honest, but he also didn’t want to dwell too much on Slytherin, especially because there was nothing he could do about it. He also didn’t want to complain too much to Hermione. He really wanted to be her friend.

Hermione frowned at Harry’s words and opened her mouth to reply just as someone shouted from across the room.

“Hey Hermione! What are you doing with that snake?” A voice hollered and Harry and Hermione both turned to see the Gryffindor first year boys entering the library. Harry noticed Ron amongst them and cast his eyes down.

“You probably should go and study with them instead. You don’t have to sit with me.” Harry said quietly to Hermione. And he meant it. He didn’t want anyone to sit with him or be with him if they didn’t want to. He also didn’t want Hermione to start being the butt of the joke alongside Harry. She didn’t deserve that.

“Nonsense Harry.” Hermione huffed, casting a glare to the Gryffindor boys. “Ignore them, they’re just idiots. They all take this house rivalry way too seriously, don’t you think?”

“Yes.” Harry smiled softly. “I reckon so.”

-----

Harry bid farewell to Hermione and headed off up to the Astronomy tower for his next class with a spring in his step. Hermione had promised to meet him back at the library after dinner so they could work some more on homework together and Harry was so excited he could barely concentrate in Astronomy and Defence Against the Dark Arts.

Harry waved shyly at Hermione at lunch time when she spotted him, and she immediately enthusiastically waved back making Harry’s heart warm. Not even the mean comments from the other Slytherin boys couldn’t ruin the moment for Harry. He didn’t even understand the insult they used for Hermione but assumed it was mean from their tone and ignored them.

Harry met Hermione at the entrance to the Great Hall and they walked to Transfiguration together and chatting happily all the way. Harry discreetly pinched himself again, like he did on the train, to check he wasn’t dreaming. It felt too good to be true to have Hermione by his side, especially after his rough day yesterday.

Transfiguration passed quickly, as did Charms, and Harry hurried to the library with his textbooks. Hermione was already there when he arrived and waved him over.

They studied and worked on their homework, but they also chatted about Hogwarts and classes and magic. Hermione also helped Harry by explaining clearly the 2nd law of Transfiguration again for him, which he didn’t quite understand in class.

Hermione didn’t seem to want to spend much time with the other Gryffindors. She said she liked studying in the library with Harry more and Harry wasn’t about to complain about that. She said that some of the Gryffindor boys had been a little rude to her too, calling her a know-it-all, so she decided she'd rather spend him with him. Harry felt like pinching himself again.

Soon it was time to go to dinner and Harry and Hermione went their separate ways at dinner as Harry went to take a seat at the Slytherin table. Harry ate his dinner quickly and silently, it was becoming a routine now, and then stood up to make his way to the dungeons for his detention.

Snape clearly had a distaste for Harry and Harry was dreading the detention but with his day with Hermione fresh in his mind he was able to focus on the positives and face his detention. But his hands did shake a tad as he knocked on Snape's classroom door.

"Enter." Snape's voice drawled and Harry entered the classroom, his hands bawled as fists at his sides. He didn't know what to expect from the strict Professor.

A small stack of dirty cauldrons were the first thing Harry noticed when he entered and then saw his Professor's narrowed eyes staring from his desk as he closed the door behind him. It looked as if he was grading homework, with lots of red-ink corrections.

"You'll be cleaning those Cauldrons for your detention this evening, Mr Potter." Snape drawled, his hand gesturing to the stack and then to a small sink at the back of the room. He continued to stare at Harry as if he were analysing an potions ingredient.

Harry squirmed under the attention and hurried to lift the cauldrons from the pile and over to the sink. "Yes, sir." He replied.

"Only water and scrubbing, Mr Potter." His professor informed him. "I thought some practise of hard-work wouldn't go amis for you, as you should know there is no more lazing around now you are at Hogwarts, understand? Especially under my house."

"Yes sir." Harry replied, reaching for the scrubbing sponge perched on the sink, ready to get his detention done as soon as possible.

"No cleaning chemicals or spells. They'll only react with the potion residue and it would perchance burn your fingers to a crisp." Snape all but spat his words at Harry. "Although maybe I should've let you find that out for yourself..perhaps loss of limb would've helped you learn to how to show some respect."

Harry's breath hitched at Snape's words. He didn't know if he was just trying to scare Harry but it worked as Harry quickly set to work scrubbing, he didn't want to give Snape anymore reason to berate him. His fingers started shaking a little again.

He told himself that it could be worse. He dealt with much worse at the Dursleys alone.

He was certainly expecting a harsher punishment from his head of house and not just cleaning cauldron. He'd looked like he took great joy in giving Harry this detention. But maybe the Professor took pity on him?

He shook his head quickly when the thought passed his mind. From the glares Snape had been sending him since he walked in and the awful remarks he makes every second he's in Harry's presence, he decided that wasn’t very likely.
To be continued...
End Notes:
thank you for the reviews :)
Chapter 7 by Handa
Harry fell into a routine over the next week. Everyday, he got up early, showered and left the dorms, before the other boys rose. He met Hagrid at the entrance, and they chatted while Hagrid tied Harry’s tie and then made his way to breakfast. Harry thought he had the hang of his tie now, but he still enjoyed seeing Hagrid every morning so continued to do so.

He met with Hermione frequently after dinner in the library and they studied and chatted and learnt more about each other. On the second week of Harry’s time at Hogwarts, Hermione brought a boy called Neville along to their little study sessions. He was another Gryffindor boy.

Harry was a little hesitant around Neville at first, but for a Gryffindor the boy seemed awfully nervous, so Harry didn’t think he meant harm and soon relaxed.
Neville showed Harry his Remembrall which was a magical device to show him if he’s forgotten something. It nearly always glowed red, and it made Harry chuckle when Neville would just exclaim. “I just don’t know what I’ve forgotten though!”

The other Slytherins were still cruel to him. They would kick his chair in class and throw food at him at mealtimes. Once, Harry got back from studying with Hermione and Neville to find the entire contents of his trunk (which wasn’t very much) scattered across the room.

Once he let this slip to Hermione, she immediately began to research locking spells and was in the process of teaching them to Harry.

It was like a game to the Slytherins. How can they torment Harry the most today?

Whether it was shoving him down in the corridors, calling him names, sabotaging his work or getting him in trouble with professors, they found a way.

Speaking of professors, Professor Flitwick remained his favourite teacher, as well as Hagrid of course. Professor Snape was as unkind to him as ever. He either ignored Harry completely or he called him out for every little thing. “Do you ever listen to a thing I say, Potter?” Snape would snap in Harry’s face, before rolling his eyes and giving Harry a fail for the lesson.

Harry didn’t mind too much, and he tried not to let it bother him. Like the Slytherins, he was getting used to Snapes constant anger towards him and just got on with it. He’d definitely had practise with that from living with the Dursleys.

This Friday morning was different to all the other days he’d spent in Hogwarts because today was the day that they were having Flying lessons. Harry was apprehensive but also quite excited. The idea of flying and being so free sounded like a dream to Harry.

Plus, it was with the Gryffindors so he would be able to spend more time with Neville and Hermione. Harry arrived on the Quidditch pitch and immediately made his way over to his friends when he spotted them.

There wasn’t much time for chatting though, as Madam Hooch soon arrived, and they were all instructed to stand beside a broom.

Unfortunately, Slytherins were ordered on one side and Gryffindors on another, but Harry made sure he was at least opposite Hermione, so he was as close to them as possible. He was beside Crabbe, who would shove him harshly with his elbow whenever Madam Hooch wasn’t looking. He was sure he would have a bruise in his side by the time this class was over.

“Right everyone, position yourself to the left side of your broomstick.” Madam Hooch began and they all scrambled to follow instructions. Everyone was excited to fly today but no one dared to disobey the fierce Professor. “Stick your right hand over the broom and say ‘up!’”

A chorus of ‘Up!’ ‘s soon reached Harry’s ears as they all tried to summon their broomsticks. Harry lifted into his hand by the second ‘Up!’ and he looked up to see he was one of the first to summon his broomstick. He tried not to grin too hard when Hermione gaped at him.

Malfoy and the other Slytherin’s brooms came up soon and so did most of the Gryffindors. Harry saw that the only students struggling were Neville, Ron, another Gryffindor boy he didn’t know and Millicent Bulstrode.

“Come on, with feeling!” Madam Hooch exclaimed and with seconds Ron’s broom lifted and smacked him right in the nose, causing everyone to exclaim with laughter. Most of the Slytherin boys scoffed or rolled their eyes but Harry grinned to himself as he saw the Gryffindor boys teasing Ron, knowing it was in a friendly way.

“What’re you laughing at? Snake.” One of the Gryffindors muttered at Harry and the smile was immediately wiped off Harry’s face, as he focused his gaze down.

“Right, when you have hold of your broom, I want you all to mount it. Grip it tight so you don’t fall off the end and, on my whistle, kick off from the ground.” Hooch instructed. “Hover there for a moment and then tilt forward and come back to the ground.”

But before Madam Hooch had even the chance to raise the whistle to her lips, Harry watched in shock as Neville began to float up, his eyes wide with terror and a worried look on his face.

“Mr Longbottom!” Madam Hooch shouted. “Come down this instant!”
But no matter how much Neville wished he could, his broom seemed to have other ideas and Neville went up higher and higher.

Harry looked up, worried for his new friend and tried to ignore the loud laughter from his dormmates and mean names they were calling him.

Neville’s broom began to buck and spin and within a few seconds Neville had been tossed upside down and then he was suddenly falling. Harry saw Madam Hooch pointing her wand at him, but he guessed that whatever she was trying to do, didn’t work in time because Neville fell the floor with a sickening crunch.

Neville was cradling his arm as everyone crowded around, either to see if he was ok or, in the Slytherin’s case, to laugh. Madam Hooch called everyone out of the way and crouched down beside him to examine where he was hurt. Harry frowned; he was worried for his new friend.

Soon Madam Hooch had announced that she was taking Neville to the Hospital Wing. But not before she threatened that if anyone even thought about flying before she got back, she would get them expelled out of Hogwarts before anyone could say ‘Quiddich’. Harry gulped.

“Did you see his face, the great lump?” Harry heard Malfoy shout, causing all the Slytherins to laugh along. “Hey look!”

Harry looked up and saw that Malfoy was running over to where Neville had fallen moments ago. He snatched something out of the grass.

“It’s that stupid ball thing Longbottom’s gran sent him!” Malfoy held Neville’s Remembrall up to the light and watched it glisten. “Maybe if he hadn’t have dropped it, he’d have remembered not to fall on his fat arse.” Harry felt a surge of anger.

“Hey, leave it, that’s Neville’s!” Harry saw a dark-skinned Gryffindor girl stick up for Neville and Harry had to admire her for her bravery. He wondered if that was why she was in Gryffindor.

Malfoy laughed cruelly at her attempt to stick up for her housemate. “Oh, sticking up for the fat arse, are we?” Malfoy smiled as if he had just remembered something brilliant and his head whipped to focus on Harry. “And what about you, Potty? Don’t you have anything to say? I’ve seen you sat with the little welp in the library.” Harry’s heart began racing, the way it always did when Malfoy confronted him. “Aren’t you going to stick up for your ickle fwend?”

It seemed to upset Harry more the way Malfoy talked about Neville, than how he talked about Harry. He had been talked down to his whole life, he was used to that. But when he spoke about the boy who had shown him nothing but kindness, it sparked a protective feeling in his chest.

What would a Gryffindor do? He thought to himself. He didn’t belong with the Slytherins, he belonged in Gryffindor. So he may as well start acting like one.

He remembered how Ron stuck up for him on his first day at Hogwarts even after just meeting him. That was a very Gryffindor thing to do. And just like that, Harry made up his mind.

“Give it here, Malfoy.” He said, hoping no one could hear the shake in his voice.

Malfoy smiled nastily; his eyebrows had shot up in surprise at Harry’s response. He had received no more than a shrug every time he had confronted Harry previously. “No. I think I’ll leave it somewhere for Longbottom to find. How about- up a tree?”

“Give it here, Malfoy.” Harry repeated and he grit his teeth with anger. Suddenly it felt like all his pent-up frustration from the week had exploded inside him and was surging through his veins.

Malfoy seemed to enjoy the challenge though. “Come and get it then Potter!” In a blink of an eye, Malfoy was suddenly on his broom and flying up into the air.
Harry didn’t even think when he grabbed his own broom and intended to do the same.

“No Harry!” Hermione tugged on Harry’s sleeve to stop him leaving the ground. “Madam Hooch said not to fly. You’ll get in trouble! He’s not worth it.”

Harry shook his friend off. And before he knew it, he was soaring after Malfoy, he hardly recognised the crazy feeling of soaring up in the air. The way air rushed past his ears and the wind messed up his hair.

It was easy, it was fun, and it felt free.

The freest Harry had ever felt in his entire life, soaring through the air while sticking up for his friend. That’s what friends did after all. That thought reminded him of his reason for being so high. He sharply turned his broom to face Malfoy.

“You want it so bad, Potter? Go and fetch!” Malfoy yelled and then the Remembrall was soaring though the air.

As if in slow-motion, Harry saw the Remembrall rise and then fall. It was falling fast and before Harry even registered what he was doing he had pointed his broom towards the Remembrall and lent forwards, gathering more and more speed, flying about the small ball.

The wind whistled in his ears and combined with the other students screaming at him while watching as he stretched his hand out and clasped the small ball, just in time to lift his broom up before he toppled ceremoniously on the grass.
Harry let himself celebrate a little in his head while looking at the Remembrall glistening in his hand. His classmates ran over to him, and he saw Hermione smile at him. He grinned back. He’d won. He’d finally done something to best Draco.

Unfortunately, his victory was short-lived as a shrill scream sounded from across the field.

“Harry Potter!”

---

Blood rushed through Harry’s ears, and his hands became clammy and shaky as he watched Professor McGonagall storm through the field towards the class.

What was he thinking? Why didn’t he listen to Hermione?

Madam Hooch had said he would be expelled? Why hadn’t that put some sense into his stupid brain! Expelled! He would lose everything.

“Mr Potter and Mr Malfoy, follow me please boys.” Professor McGonagall had said sternly.

“What? Why me?” Malfoy exclaimed, but Harry hardly reacted and got up to follow numbly.

“You were also in the air without supervision, Mr Malfoy.” Professor McGonagall said, pursing her lips in disgust. “Do not try to deny it.”

Malfoy’s head bowed in submission, even he was intimidated by the tall Professor when she was angry.

Harry and Draco followed McGonagall into the castle, Harry cast a glance to Hermione, who was sullenly watching while clinging to the Remembrall. Perhaps that was the last time he would see his friend, if he was to be expelled.

Harry bit his lip. He was questioning now if he had done the right thing. He had stuck up for a friend who was not even there to be offended. And now he was in trouble, possibly expelled.

Why did he always have to mess everything up?

Harry tried to focus on his breathing, as it became laboured. Sure, Hogwarts wasn’t what he hoped but it was improving. He had made friends and he didn’t want to go back to the Dursleys. Anything but the Dursleys.

He didn’t want to leave behind his soft bed in the dorms, or the warm meals or the sweet pumpkin juice every morning. He could deal with bullies; he’s done it his entire life. But he couldn’t leave Hogwarts when his new life had only just begun. He’d rather have 10 Malfoys and Snapes and stay at Hogwarts than return home.

No, he wouldn’t cry. Not in front on Malfoy. He can’t give him the satisfaction.
He snuck a glace at the boy next to him. He still walked in his cocky, arrogant swagger, like he was just walking to the Great Hall for lunch. The sight made anger run though Harry’s veins. This was all his fault.

“Er- Professor?” Malfoy asked suddenly interrupting Harry’s thoughts, as his head cocked in confusion. “Where are we going? You’ve past your office.”

“We are going to the Dungeons, Mr Malfoy.” McGonagall said, sharply. “Professor Snape is your head of house, so he will deal with your punishments.”

Harry blanched at her words, and the colour drained from his face. Punishments. Harry was familiar with those. Life at the Dursleys made sure of that.

Harry wondered what Snape would do to them. Did they allow corporal punishment at Hogwarts? Harry bit down on his lip harder. He wouldn’t be surprised, especially given that this was Professor Snape. Harry didn’t think Snape would have any problem with it. He hated Harry after all.

On the other hand, Malfoy seemed to relax even more once he heard Professor Snape would be handling the punishments. Harry wasn’t surprised. Snape doted on Malfoy. He could do no wrong in the Professor’s eyes. He would twist it all so the punishment was only Harry’s. Just like Dudley always did.

Harry’s breath was becoming more laboured now, and his hands started to sweat. He couldn’t deny that Professor Snape frightened him. On a normal day, Harry was wary but now Harry had given the man a reason to be angry at Harry, not that he needed one anyway.

The time they waited at Snape’s door after McGonagall had knocked was probably a few seconds but to Harry it felt like an eternity.

“Enter.” His voice sounded through, and Harry held his breath as McGonagall opened the door and hurried the boys into the room.

Harry kept his head down; he couldn’t bear to even look at the Professor. Harry knew that Professor McGonagall was explaining to the potions master why they were there but he could hardly hear the words over the blood rushing through his ears.

A slam of a door pulled Harry out of his stupor as he realised McGonagall was gone. They were left with Snape, at his mercy.

Harry gulped.

There was silence, before Professor Snape finally spoke.

“Madam Hooch made it quite clear you were to remain on the ground. Is that correct?” Professor Snape spoke. His voice was quiet but it no less terrifying.

Harry took this opportunity to raise his head and snuck a glace at his professor through his eyelashes.

The man was positively fuming, and although his voice seemed calm, his body language was anything but. His hands were clenched into fists and his face formed into a scowl.

“Yes sir, but-” Draco began, but Snape’s fist landed on the table with a loud slam, interrupting Draco’s excuses, making Harry flinch, his eyes squeezing shut.

“Then please enlighten me as to why both of you deliberately disobeyed a member of authority!”

Harry’s hand became clammy again and he tried to wipe them on his robes discreetly, to calm his nerves, but nothing seemed to be able to ease of Harry’s anxiety. Especially being in a room alone with his worst bully and most hated teacher.

“It was Potter, Sir!” Malfoy exclaimed, his hand pointing at Harry as he stared in disgust.

Harry knew it was coming. The blame would be on him. It always is.

“He stole Longbottom’s Remembrall and was showing off to everyone throwing it and catching it on his broom. I knew he had no experience on a broom and I was only trying to get him to come down before he hurt himself or someone else if he crashed into them!” Malfoy talked in a rush, his words tumbling out his mouth as if he thought Harry would interrupt him to refute it.

But Harry didn’t. He knew how this went. There’s no point in fighting it.

Snape kept silent also, as he inspected the boys in front on him, his eye twitching. “Is that so?”

“Yes sir, you see I only disobeyed in order to stop Potter from performing a death-defying stunt and injuring himself or someone else!” Malfoy kept going, as if Harry’s silence fuelled his drive to continue defending himself.

“I see.” Snape said shortly. When Harry opened his eyes, he saw Snape narrow his eyes in suspicion and Harry thought it looked like he didn’t quite believe Malfoy’s story. “And Mr Potter, do you have anything to add?”

Harry’s head whipped up to look at the Professor on being addressed. He opened his mouth, the truth and the real account of events on the end of his tongue.

But he held himself back.

There’s no way he would believe him. This was Snape they were talking to, and the man clearly hated him. Harry thought he might get into even more trouble by being accused of lying so he shot his eyes down instead and weakly shook his head.

Snape hummed. “Interesting.”

Harry held his breath and it felt like they were stood for an eternity before Snape spoke once more.

“50 points from Slytherin for your complete lack of respect for the instructions from a member of staff from both of you, and for you Mr Malfoy one week of detention." Snape spoke, crossing his arms in front of his chest as both boys looked up in disbelief.

Draco opened his mouth to protest but Snape didn’t give him chance.

“Regardless of your intentions Mr Malfoy, you still disobeyed and still could’ve been seriously hurt.” Draco looked angry and Harry was shocked to see him so openly glaring at their head of house. Harry would never have that kind of confidence.

“And for you Mr Potter, two weeks of detention should suffice in teaching you a lesson that arrogance and disobedience will not be permitted in my house.”

Harry nodded glumly, forcing himself to try feel relieved at Snape's words, that he was not in fact getting expelled. It definitely could've been worse.

Draco grinned at Harry, he looked like he’d just won the lottery. Harry cast his eyes down again and took some deep breaths. It was worth it, he thought. The detention and the points he could live with. He had defending his friend and that was more important than anything else.

“You are both to report here every evening at 7pm precisely and you will both serve your detention with me.” Snape said, watching closely the interaction between the two boys. “You’re both dismissed. I don’t expect this to ever happen again. And if it does, there will be severe consequences for the both of you. Is that clear boys?” Snape’s eyes seemed to drill into Harry’s soul, as if Snape could read Harry’s every thought, he couldn't keep his Professors gaze.

“Yes Sir.” The two Slytherins replied, and Harry hardly realised he had left until be was bolting down the corridor, and ran all the way back to his four poster bed and waited for his racing heart to slow down.
To be continued...
Chapter 8 by Handa
The next day, after the flying incident, was a Saturday. Harry headed to the library as normal, hoping to see Hermione there and maybe get chance to see if Neville was ok. But as he entered the room, his books secured under his arms, he immediately wanted to turn tale and walk out.

Hermione and Neville were sat at their usual studying spot but surrounding them were a crowd of students sporting the Gryffindor red uniform. Harry remembered some of the boys to be those who would glare at him in the corridors and would call him a filthy snake. Ron was among them.

Maybe Harry could find an empty classroom instead. The Slytherin common room was full of people this morning when he left, and Draco was probably still angry from his detention and Harry wanted to avoid that confrontation for as long as possible. Yes, Harry thought, an empty classroom would have to do. There was no way he was going to go over to sit with his friends with all the other lions guarding their den.

Harry nearly made it too, until there was a call out to him. “Harry! Over here!” Hermione’s voiced called (which received a harsh “Shh!” from the librarian, Madam Pince.) Harry cringed, not wanting to turn around, knowing the attention would now be on him. “Come on, Harry. We saved you a seat!”

Harry was right, as he turned, he felt everyone’s eyes on him and he wondered slowly over to the table, keeping his eyes firmly on the ground. Hermione patted the seat beside her, and another Gryffindor girl was on the other side, she was the one who also backed up Neville. She gave Harry a soft smile and Harry hesitantly returned it before hurriedly pulling out his books, if only to try and cover up how much his hands shook.

“Hiya Harry. I heard about what you did for me.” Neville spoke from the other side of Hermione. “That was really cool of you. Hope you didn’t get in too much trouble for it.”

Harry smiled softly at his new friend. “It was nothing.” He shrugged, very aware of the eyes on him from the other sides of the round table. “Are-are you ok now?”

“Oh yeah, Madam Pomphrey fixed me right up.” Neville replied, holding up his arm as if to demonstrate he was fine. “But, yeah, thanks for sticking up for me Harry. It meant a lot to me.”

“It was really nice of you.” the Gryffindor girl beside him chimed him

“Yeah, and you’re not even a Gryffindor.” Another joined.

“Could’ve fooled me, I’m not brave enough to stand up to that prick, Malfoy.” Another chimed in and Harry felt himself in awe. He was getting praised by Gryffindors, he felt himself blush a little.

“Even if it was extremely dangerous, and against the rules.” Hermione added and Harry had to smile a little knowing she meant in in jest.

Harry snuck a glance to Ron who was sat on the other side of Neville. His eyes were cast down and he looked ashamed. Harry guessed that he was still ashamed of ever being friends with Harry, praise from his housemates did not change anything. Harry tried to ignore him.

“What are you working on?” Hermione asked, prodding at the books still tucked in his arms.

Harry relaxed a little, the topic of conversation finally off him. “I was going to do some of the questions Professor Sprout set us…”

“That’s what we’ve just been doing!” Hermione laughed.

“Here, you can look at our answers if you want, Harry!” Neville handed him his book and Harry saw that they had completed five questions already.

“No, Neville, Harry needs to complete them himself, or he won’t learn anything-“

“Lay off him, Hermione.” Harry was shocked to hear Ron’s voice chime in for the first time since he had joined the Gryffindors. Until then he was sitting quietly his eyes cast down. Harry guessed he didn’t really agree with his housemates, and they had just dragged him along. It certainly made sense with what he had said to Harry last week. Go find some of your other snakes to hang around with.

“But-”

“No buts, we owe him after what he did for Nev.” Ron argued, and Harry knew he was staring then but he couldn’t bring himself to look at Ron yet. He didn’t trust him so soon.

“Ron, I will not consent to cheating by showing Harry the answers I worked hard on-” Hermione protested but Ron wasn’t having it.

“Budge over then.” He interrupted simply.

“I really don’t need-” Harry tried to dampen an argument starting. He didn’t want to be the reason the Gryffindors fell out.

“No Harry, I’ll swap places with Hermione, and you can look at my answers. Then Hermione doesn’t have to worry her pretty little head about it? Yeah, sorted.”

Hermione begrudgingly agreed to swap places with Ron, her cheeks turning a little red when some of the other Gryffindors started teasing her (“Come over ‘ere Pretty Hermione- ““Shut up Seamus!”)

“Here,” Ron passed his book over to Harry, and offered him a soft smile. “I was just finishing up question six.”

“Thanks.” Harry all but whispered. He felt like Ron’s gaze on him was burning a hole through his face.

“It’s nothing, as I said we owe you…” Ron muttered. When it seemed like the other Gryffindors were talking again amongst themselves, he lent over again. “Um, I guess what I mean by that is that I owe you.”

Harry did look up at him then, in surprise. Only then did he realise how uncomfortable Ron looked. His ears were bright red, and he was biting down on his lower lip.

“You were a really good friend yesterday. For Neville.” Ron said. “I’m sorry I was such a crap friend to you.”

Harry’s eyes widened. An apology? That was the last thing Harry expected from Ron and now he was speechless.

“I, um, I was a real twat to you,” Ron continued. “I was honest on the train, I really liked you, it was just really sad to see you go to Slytherin and for some reason I felt…betrayed.”

You felt betrayed? Harry felt like screaming. Imagine meeting your first friend only for him to turn on you because of something out of your control.

“So I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’m… sorry.” Ron lamely finished, a shy and hesitant smile on his face.

Harry smiled back. He didn’t quite trust Ron yet, but he wasn’t about to deny a clearly heartfelt apology.

After the initial awkwardness of Harry joining the Gryffindors in their little study group, he found himself really enjoying himself. And while he was sat the round table surrounded by the boisterous laughs of Ron and Seamus, the silly jokes from Dean and Parvati, and the gentle reminders from Hermione to keep their voices down, Harry felt like for a second, he could pretend, just for a second, that he belonged with them too.

---

“Potter!” Snape made Harry jump as he shouted across the room at the small boy. “The instructions clearly say to dice the mandrake roots! Not mash them to a pulp!”

Harry bit down on his lip hard. It was a common occurrence now for Snape to berate the boy in class. He learnt it was better to keep his mouth shut, that way, Snape at least would get bored and move on to another student.

Hermione caught his eye across the room and gave him a tight smile of sympathy. As did Neville and even Ron sent him a supportive glace.

It had been a few weeks since the flying incident and Harry was still serving his detention with Snape and Malfoy each night, and while Harry’s head of house and housemates were cruel as ever, Harry found himself able to cope with their constant jibes.

Harry was used to being picked on and embarrassed, but he was not used to having a group of friends. His year mates in Gryffindor looked out for him like he had never felt before.

Of course, there wasn’t much they could do able his dormitory where Zabini and Nott would mess with his belongings, or in detention when Malfoy would sabotage his work to make Snape yell at Harry, or when Crabbe and Goyle would trip him over and kick him in every opportunity (His legs were getting quite bruised in result of this). Yet just the presence of the Gryffindors at break times where they would laugh and joke and help him with his homework, helped him forget about it, even if it was just for a split second.

Although Harry never spoke about the other Slytherins to them much, the Gryffindors had surely figured out that he was not accepted there. It didn’t take a genius to work that out. Maybe that’s what made them decide he was ok to be friends with, because he wasn’t ‘like them’.

After one particularly bad morning where Harry woke up to find his toothbrush and soap shoved down the boy’s toilet, Harry guessed he must’ve looked particularly downtrodden at breakfast because suddenly Hermione ran up to him outside the Great Hall and wouldn’t let him go to class until he told her what had happened.

The Gryffindors were outraged when Hermione relayed what Harry had told her. Harry tried to shrug it off as he realised that he had caused a fuss, and they only let it go when Harry finally begged them not to tell McGonagall. All she would do it tell Snape and he would say Harry was lying. There was no point.

Harry was currently walking into the Great Hall for dinner. He looked longingly at the Gryffindor table where his friends all sat, boisterously laughing and joking. Harry spotted Ron’s brother’s Fred and George throwing a quaffle back and forth over Ron’s head.

Just as he turned to sit at his usual spot (alone), at the Slytherin table, Harry heard his name called.

“Harry! Come over!” Ron yelled, his face beaming.

“Yeah, we have something for you!” Neville shouted, looking equally as happy as his housemates. Harry felt himself grow hot as he noticed all the stares that settled on him from Slytherin. It wasn’t very normal to have inter-house friendships in Hogwarts, he'd never really seen people sit at other house tables, and definitely not any Slytherins.

But what about Harry had ever been normal?

“What is it?” Harry asked cautiously, as he perched hesitantly on the Gryffindor table, as if it would shove him off immediately or curse him for being a Slytherin. It didn’t, but Harry still felt worried.

All at once the first year Gryffindors produced a pile of belongings. There was a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, shampoo and a bar of soap. Harry’s face screwed up, puzzled.

“I-I don’t understand-“

“What those Slytherins did to you was plain nasty, Harry.” Hermione explained and the others nodded along. “You don’t deserve that, so we looked around in our stuff to see if we had any spares, and this is what we found.”

Harry was speechless. Never had anyone done something so kind for him. And now he had a whole group of people willing to give him their own belongings out of the kindness of their hearts. Harry was lost for words.

“It’s not much but we want to help, Harry.” Ron shrugged. “You’d do the same for us, even if you aren’t a proper Gryffindor.”

“Thanks.” Harry gasped, looking around at them all individually, afraid his voice would crack if he said much more. “You really didn’t have to.”

Little did they know this was the first time anyone had given him any of those things. He’d used the same toothbrush since he was 4 years old and his other toiletries were all things, he’d had to get himself, or steal from the Dursleys.

“We wanted to, Harry.” Parvati said, her eyes kind.

“You’re basically an honorary Gryffindor you know.” Dean chimed in.

Honorary Gryffindor. Hmm Harry liked the sound of that, as he smiled at his friends, hoping now one realised his eyes slightly watery.

-----

It was with a spring in his step that Harry wound his way down to the dungeons for his daily detention with Professor Snape. Today would be the first day without Draco there as well as he had finished his week already.

He thought he would be nervous and dreading to start the one-on-one detentions with Snape, the attention would most certainly be more on him, and he would be alone with his potions professor who hated him. Yet with the kind deeds that his friends had just done, he couldn’t find it in himself to be afraid.

It would probably be easier too, without Malfoy trying to sabotage every two minutes. Perhaps he’d even impress his professor. No, don’t get ahead of yourself Harry.

“Enter.” Snape’s deep voice sounded after Harry had placed a gentle knock on the door to his classroom.

Harry slowly entered the room as he had done for the last week and took as seat in front of a bucket of some sort of nasty potions ingredient. As usual, Snape didn’t even look up to acknowledge Harry, just pointed to the bucket.

“You’ll be disembowelling that bucket of toads for tonight’s detention, Mr Potter.” He snapped, but his head didn’t lift from his marking.

Harry winced in disgust and peered into the bucket. Yuck.

“What are you waiting for? Begin!” Snape yelled and Harry jumped to it immediately. It wasn’t too bad; he’d been doing just as disgusting work when Draco had been there, so he didn’t mind so much. At least Draco wouldn’t be there to through the guts at him this time.

He worked in silence, the only sounds filling the echoing dungeon was the scratch of Professor Snape’s quill and the sloshing sound and Harry dropped toad into a bucket and reached for another one.

Harry got so used to the monotonous sounds that he noticed the stark difference when Professor Snape suddenly stopped writing. He felt the Professor’s glare on him before he even looked up.

“Do you have a problem with Slytherin house, Mr Potter?” Professor Snape snapped, breaking the silence. His eyes were gazing into Harry’s eyes, as is he was trying to read his mind. Harry hoped he couldn’t.

“Sir?” Harry asked, his heart rate beating faster and faster. What happened to the routine of silence Harry had come to expect from these detentions?

“You do not sit with your housemates. Nor have made any effort to build friendships with your peers.” Snape’s hands laced together as he rested his head on them to gaze at Harry more intently. “When it is clear you do not wish to spend any time with your fellow housemates during class, outside of lessons and even now at mealtimes, it is only clear for one to assume you have a problem within the house? Wouldn’t you agree?”

Harry gulped. This must be about him sitting with the Gryffindors today at dinner. Maybe Hermione was wrong about there not being a rule about that.

“Yes sir, but I-“

“Do you not wish to be a Slytherin Potter? Do you see yourself as above the rest of your housemates?” Snape hissed, his knuckles slowly growing white. Harry recognised that as a sign of anger and took a step back. He didn’t even realise he’d stood up out of nervousness.

“N-no sir.” Harry all but whispered.

“No?” Snape laughed cruelly, standing up from his desk towering over the boy. “Then why, pray tell, don’t you show your noble house the respect it deserves?”

“I’m sorry-“

“Don’t.” The Professor cut off Harry’s apology, fiercly. “Don’t apologise, answer my question. What is your problem with Slytherin house and why do you refuse to respect it?”

This seemed like a trick question. Aunt Petunia used to use that strategy a lot when she’d try to get an excuse to punish him.

“I do respect it-“

Snape laughed cruelly again, but no smile graced his face. “Do you believe ignoring and bullying your housemates to be a sign of respect? Not even bothering to present a united front to the school and eat dinner at another house’s table?”

“Bullying? I…” Harry was so startled by the accusation that he couldn’t help but let his thoughts slip out in confusion.

“Do you think me a fool? That I can’t spot bullying when I see it? You are just as arrogant as your father.” Snape was positively raging now.

Yes, I do think you a fool! Harry thought, Why can’t you see it’s them that are the problem! Not me!

“I didn’t realise I wasn’t allowed to sit with my friends from Gryffindor, sir.” Harry decided to say after a long pause, his eyes casting down as he shoved his robes into his robes to stop them shaking so bad. “I won’t do it again, I’m sorry.”

Harry was used to apologising, it was a survival mechanism built into him from the Dursleys. Not that if did much good, but sometimes it made the outcome less severe.

“See to it that it doesn’t, Potter. And while we’re on the subject, see to it that the bullying of your housemates desists immediately.” The Professor instructed, finally sitting back down in his chair. That was good, it meant he wasn’t as angry anymore. Harry let out a breath he didn’t realise he was holding. “I have a zero-tolerance policy and if I find out you’ve been singling out my snakes, there will be severe consequences. Do I make myself clear?”

It wasn’t amiss to Harry that Snape didn’t feel the same protectiveness over the students in his house that he did to Harry. There was a separation between his snakes and Harry. Snape didn’t want Harry in his house any more than Harry wanted to be there himself.

Even Snape knew Harry didn’t belong in Slytherin.

“Yes sir.” Harry replied, his heart heavy with his recent realisation, sitting back on his stool and picking up another toad with a shaky hand.

I never belong anywhere.
To be continued...
End Notes:
i think i figured out how to do italics? hopefully it workeda281; thanks for the reviews :)
Chapter 9 by Handa
Snape never talked again in the rest of Harry’s set of detentions from the quidditch incident with Draco. They worked in silence, Snape over various assignments from students and Harry doing numerous disgusting potion ingredient preparation tasks.

Harry convinced himself it was a good thing Snape had not spoken to him again during detention, it must mean he was finally doing something right. He hadn’t sat at the Gryffindor table again (although he did look longingly at it), and he had tried to keep his head down and not let himself be bothered by his head of house and housemates.

However, if Professor Snape wanted to find something to be angry at Harry for, he would have no trouble finding it, Harry knew that for sure. Harry was grateful when he finally finished his detentions, and he could spend more time with his friends.

Harry’s housemates were insufferable as usual. Hermione taught Harry a stinging charm to put on his trunk to keep his belongings safe, but it seemed that only encouraged them to target Harry himself, instead of merely his belongings.

The constant shoves and pushes were starting to form bruises on Harry, and his right side had a particular big bruise where Crabbe had shoved him aside and he’d fallen into a nearby suit of armour.

He hadn’t told anyone, not only because he knew there wasn’t much anyone could do about it, but also because he couldn’t help but be a little embarrassed. He didn’t want to imagine the faces of his friends or even Hagrid, if they found out that Harry was too weak to fight back.

Maybe that’s why he hadn’t been sorted into Gryffindor.

Speaking of Hagrid, he tried to visit the half giant as much as he could, sometimes alongside Hermione, Ron, and Neville but other times just by himself.

Hagrid was always happy to see Harry and even more happy that Harry seemed to be better in himself, compared to that horrid night where he had taken the sodden first year into his hut. Harry was glad Hagrid never had brought it up since and especially not in front of Harry’s new friends. The gentle giant even let Harry and his friends pick out some pumpkins from the pumpkin patch to carve in his hut, together at the weekend for the upcoming Halloween feast the following week.

Harry and Ron’s friendship was developing to Harry’s surprise, although he still did feel a little weary for his friend. He didn’t want to trust again so quickly, but Ron seemed genuinely apologetic. It was nice to have people around him that genuinely wanted to spend time with him, it made Harry feel braver about facing his dorm-mates.

Overall, Hogwarts wasn’t as bad as Harry had first experienced. And no matter what the Slytherins did, Harry knew that learning about magic and having his new-found friends around would make anywhere better than the Dursley's.

Although even anywhere that served him 3 magnificent meals a day, is better than the Dursley's to be fair.

Even Draco boasting on and on about a new magical pocket watch his parents had sent him to the other Slytherin boys late into the night, while Harry tried to sleep, couldn’t make him feel too down about his Hogwarts experience.

“It has all members of the noble family of Malfoy on it and where they are at all times! Look, there’s me at Hogwarts!” Draco had boasted and all the other boys had rushed over in awe. Harry held back and groan and tugged his pillow over his head to cover his ears.

Unfortunately, the universe was definitely not on Harry’s side that night as it sent a most disturbing dream Harry’s way that night.

The figures were blurry, and Harry couldn’t make out much of what was happening to make it so bad, but the feelings were enough to shake him. There was a flash of green light and then a woman screaming over and over and over again, while a cruel, deep, laugh echoed in Harry’s eardrums. Harry woke up gasping for breath and he hadn’t even realised he was crying until tears were streaming down his face.

He didn’t sleep much after that.

Hermione noticed as much when they were studying in the library the next day and asked him about it. Maybe it was because it was just Harry’s closest friends which he had began to trust that he began to explain his dream (or maybe he just wasn’t thinking straight because of the lack of sleep).

He noticed that the more he told the story of his dream, his Gryffindor friend’s expressions became more and more sombre.

“What?” Harry asked.

Ron’s eyebrows screwed up. “I don’t really know how to say this mate,” He hesitated. “But it sounds to me that you were dreaming about …the night your parents died.”

Harry felt what felt like a rock settle in his stomach. “Oh.”

“A green light is said to be one of the l-last things someone sees when they’re hit with the …killing curse.” Neville whispered, his hands casted down to his hands, deep in thought.

Hermione placed a hand on Harry’s wrist, comfortingly. “It’s understandable Harry really, with their anniversary coming up and everything.”

Harry froze. What kind of son was he? He’d found out this year that his parents had not only been murdered and were not in fact drunks who died in a car smash, but his parents died for him. How could he have forgotten that the anniversary of their death was coming up?

“Halloween.” Harry murmured weakly. How could he have been carving pumpkins eagerly in Hagrid’s hut, barely a few days ago when it was less than a week until the anniversary of his parents’ death? How could he be so disrespectful? So selfish. He was a terrible son.

It was silent for a while, all of the first-year students lost for words until Ron broke it.

“Hey, why don’t we do something special for Halloween?” He said, nudging Harry’s elbow but Harry shrugged it off and wrapped his arms around himself.

“I don’t really feel like celebrating when-“

“No, not celebrating,” Ron interrupted Harry. “Like to honour them.”

Harry was confused, but he was also intrigued so he continued to listen.

“Yeah,” Hermione joined. “Let’s skip the feast and do our own thing, toast to your parents and do a small memorial for them.”

Harry smiled softly. “Yeah...I think I’d like that.”

----

Plans were made. Ron oversaw snacks, Hermione and Neville were in charge of pillows and blankets and Harry was in charge of the location. After a lot of deliberation, On Halloween night Harry found himself walking up to his chosen place: the astronomy tower. On his shoulder was Hedwig, the bird gave extra comfort to the small boy as he made his way to meet his friends.

He’d thought he had arrived a little earlier than they had planned, yet suddenly he was engulphed in a hug, before he had got up the last step of the tower. From the large amounts of hair blocking his vision, Harry could tell it was Hermione.

“Hiya Hermione.” Harry murmured and when her death grip finally lifted felt himself gasp. The Astronomy tower looked cosier than ever, lit only by the light of a single lantern, the room glowed beneath the stars. Surrounding it was pillows and blankets and the most Halloween candy Harry had ever seen.
On the cushions Harry also spotted his other two friends smiling softly up at him.

“Thank you.” Harry said, wondering how he would ever be able to show his gratitude to his friends. The simple words just didn’t seem enough to describe how full his heart was right now.

His friends seemed to understand though and with a gentle push from Hermione, Harry joined his friends on the floor with a small thump, making his friends crack a laugh and Harry couldn’t help but join. Hedwig fluttered up to perch on a nearby ledge. Ron had brought his rat Scabbers along and even Neville’s toad Trevor joined the group.

“Where did you even get all this food?” Harry had asked at one point in the evening.

“Stole it.” Ron had replied making Harry’s heart skip a beat. “Don’t look at me like that.” Ron admonished, grinning. “I didn’t actually steal it, just asked the elves in the kitchens if they would make something for us. We’re-er- not really supposed to do that though.”

Harry relaxed a little, but still didn’t know what these elves everyone talked about were. Hagrid had spoken about them before as well, hadn’t he?

Just to be sure, Harry cast his eyes over to Hermione, knowing she would toss a fit if they really were breaking the rules, but all she did was smile and reach for two of the chocolate Halloween cupcakes and hand one to Harry. He accepted it and took a bite.

It felt right, to be surrounded by his friends on such a special day. It wasn’t as though they were joking loudly, or being in any way disrespectful, but the atmosphere was calm and happy. And somehow, when he looked up at the stars, Harry felt like he was being watched by his parents.

He wondered what they would’ve thought of him. Over the last few weeks, Harry had fretted over them being disappointed of him, being sorted in Slytherin and all, yet surrounded by his friends and sat under the stars, he thought he might have made them just a little bit proud.

Harry walked back to the Slytherin dorms with a newfound weight off his shoulders, he felt so much lighter. And although he felt a little bit sick from the candy he had ate, it was overshadowed by the gratefulness he felt to have such amazing friends. He also felt somehow a little bit closer to his parents. In summary, Harry thought nothing could bring him down.

That was until he walked back into the dormitory and saw his head of house standing in the entry way, glaring daggers at him. The rest of his house mates over his shoulder, grinning almost maliciously. Harry noticed Draco in the centre looking particularly smug. Harry’s heart dropped like a stone.

His turned his head to look at the grandfather clock in the common room, he was well-within curfew, it had been extended until 10pm for first years, due to the Halloween celebrations. Harry bit his lip as his hands grew clammy with nervousness. In what ways were the Slytherin boys going to torment him now?

“Mr Potter.” Professor Snape murmured softly, but Harry could tell he was mad from his mean expression and towering stance. "I require a word. Now."
To be continued...
End Notes:
quick update with a short-ish chapter, thanks for the reviews :)
Chapter 10 by Handa
“I know he took it sir!” Draco yelled before Harry had even a chance to breathe.

“I saw him looking at it yesterday and besides he wasn’t even at the feast so he must’ve had ample time to steal it and-“

“Mr Malfoy, I will take it from here.” Snape commanded and he rounded on Harry.

Harry gulped. He should’ve known the universe wouldn’t have wanted him to be happy for that long and there would be downward tip somewhere and here it was. Harry had never seen Snape so angry before, he eyes narrowed as he stared down at Harry over his crossed arms.

“S-sir, what’s-“

Snape didn’t even give Harry chance to finish. “Mr Potter, are you aware that theft at Hogwarts is an offence worth expulsion?

Harry’s stomach did a flip, he felt even more violently ill than before. He seriously regretted the Halloween sweets now. Harry’s breaths became erratic as he forced himself to speak.

“I-I didn’t steal anything-“

“He’s a liar!” Draco yelled, causing Harry to flinch. “There’s no one else who would’ve taken it!”

Harry was stunned as a million questions ran through his head. What were they even talking about? What had been stolen?

“As your head of house, I have the right to search your belongings, Mr Potter.” Snape narrowed his eyes so menacingly at Harry he had to look away. “Step aside.”

“I didn’t steal anything, sir! I don’t even know what you’re-“

“Then you won’t mind me searching your trunk then, Mr Potter?” Snape sneered. “If you have nothing to hide?” He spat.

“Sir I-“

“Step aside, Mr Potter!” Snape yelled and Harry jumped from the volume of his professor’s voice. On shaky legs, he obeyed and then backed away from his bed, his eyes tearing up and hands shaking.

The Potion’s master sighed and ran and hand over his forehead and he strode towards Harry’s trunk, Harry thought he must be tired from the long night and the feast.

Unfortunately for the Professor, Harry was in such a state that he forgot the stinging charm he had put on his trunk and Professor Snape paid for that moments later, pulling away from the trunk sharply with a hiss and then a deathly look to Harry.

“Why in merlin’s name do you have a repelling charm on your trunk, Potter!” He yelled, waving his wand with what Harry assumed was a countercharm, but Harry still flinched from the sharp movement, biting harshly on his lip.

“Probably because he has all his stolen belongings in there.” Malfoy sniggered, and the other Slytherin’s all promptly fell into barrels of laughter.

Snape rubbed his temple, Harry wondered if the Professor had a headache.

Then he looked at Harry steadily for a few minutes that felt like a lifetime before addressing Harry’s dormmates. “Boys, go wait outside in the common room. Mr Potter and I require some privacy.”

Harry didn’t like the other boys there, but one on one time was not at all what Harry wanted with his professor when he was this angry, and his eyes widened to the size of saucers and his hands trembled.

“Sir that’s not fair!” Draco protested, his face looked betrayed. Harry guessed he was greatly enjoying this whole ordeal, that he had no doubt conducted himself.

“This is our dorm too!” Blaise bravely added, but Snape was not in the forgiving mood.

“Leave! Now!” Snape roared and even the Slytherin bullies knew better than to argue with their head of house when he was like this.

Snape was breathing heavily, and it was the only noise in the room apart from the ringing Harry heard his ears from his panic.

“Well Potter?” Snape snapped. “Why is there a stinging charm on your trunk?”

“S-so the other b-boys can’t get in it, Sir.” Harry stuttered, cursing himself for how weak he sounded. It reminded him of his first week at Hogwarts. He was an honorary Gryffindor now; he could do better than this.

“And what business would any of them have to go in your trunk?” Snape asked bewildered by Harry’s answer, but Harry just looked down and avoided his gaze.

Snape studied Harry for a while, as if he realised something but didn’t wish to believe it to be true.

He then turned back to Harry’s trunk and unbuckled the top without a stinging hex this time. Harry still wondered what on earth Snape was looking for, and if he’d find some sort of way to blame Harry for this crime.

Even with his anxiety levels so high, Harry still feels his face heat up with embarrassment as Snape pulls out his old hand-me-down clothes from Dudley and his even worse for wear pyjamas that the other boys had come to call ‘rags’.

The only thing keeping Harry going was the fact he knew there was no way Snape would find whatever he was looking for - he hadn’t stolen anything.

“Where are all your other belongings, Potter?” Snape asked. Harry noticed that Snape’s voice seemed less angry now the other boys had left, he sounded tired and confused.

Harry was also confused though, was that another one of the Professor’s trick questions? “What other belongings sir?”

Snape ignores his question and continues searching, pulling out Harry’s toiletry bag, full of all the basics he had acquired through the Gryffindors. “Why isn’t this in the washroom?”

Harry wasn’t going to keep it in the washroom after what had happened last time, when they shoved all his belongings down the toilet. Anywhere apart from Harry’s trunk wasn’t safe from the hands of Malfoy and the other boys in the dorm.

Harry no longer trusts his voice, so shrugs his shoulders softly while looking down at his tatty shoes, hoping Snape doesn’t call him out for his lack of verbal response. Surprisingly, the professor doesn’t.

Snape slams the trunk closed with a slam making Harry jump and looks to be deep in thought as he studies Harry from across the room. Harry had hardly realised he’d been slowly moving away in fear since his professor had arrived and now found himself flat against the wall of the dorm.

“Where were you this evening, Potter? Why didn’t you come to the feast?” Snape asked, his voice once again in the slow calculating tone.

Harry opened his mouth to reply but promptly closed it again. How could he tell Snape he was mourning his dead parents? How could he tell him that his friends had sat with him and held his hands while he looked up to the stars? How could he tell Snape he didn’t go to dinner because his friend stole from the kitchens instead?

The silence seemed to be enough of an answer to Snape. “I see.” He muttered and then promptly marched over to Harry. “Do I need to continue this search Potter or will you save us both the time and the effort and just give it up. You’ve been caught.”

“Sir, please, I don’t even know what you’re-“

“You’ve stolen Draco’s Family watch, no one else could’ve had the chance as they were all at the feast! All apart from you, Potter!” Snape snapped, his voice growing furious again. “Mr Malfoy’s watch has anti-summoning charms on it, therefore someone must have taken it.” Snape explained so fast that Harry’s mind was racing to keep up. His voice grew soft and deadly. “Now, hand. It. Over.”

“His watch? Why would I…?” Harry muttered, his heart thumping nearly as fast as his head was spinning trying to make sense of what was happening.

Someone stole Malfoy’s watch. And everyone thought it was Harry. Of course they did.

Harry was reeling so much in his own head, he didn’t even notice his professor’s hand coming his way until he was already flinched away from it sharply, his hands covering his face out of habit away from an incoming blow.

Harry’s heartbeat was in his throat as he looked timidly through his hands to see his potion professor and head of house’s face staring back, a shocked and almost haunted expression on his face and his hand still placed out in front of him.

“Your bag.” Snape’s voice was low and heavy as he beckoned his hand, in signal for Harry to hand it over. Harry blushed in realisation that his teacher wasn’t in fact going to smack him and took his bag off his shoulder with shaky hands and gave it to his professor, avoiding eye contact.

Snape emptied the contents onto Harry’s bed but still came out short when all he found were textbooks, quills and a few sweets left over from his night in the tower.

Snape sighed in frustration staring at Harry’s belongings, before he pulled out his wand and pointed it at Harry’s bed.

Harry watched with horror as he watched his professor levitate the side of Harry’s mattress and his lovely silk green sheets fell gently to the floor.

And alongside them fell Draco’s watch, clattering to the floor.

The silence was all too much to bear as Harry felt his despair rise even more, the sounds of breathing were the only sounds echoing through the dorm as they both stared at the watch.

Snape bent down slowly to pick up to the golden pocket watch and studied it.

Harry tried to be brave.

“Sir, I didn’t know, someone must have-“

“Silence, Potter.” Snape immediately interrupted with a sneer. “I will collect you after breakfast. And we shall take these matters to the headmaster.”

Harry felt himself shiver as he felt a cold rush flood through his veins, in fear and sadness. Had the Slytherin’s really found a way to get rid of him for good?

“T-the headmaster? But I swear I didn’t-”

“I won’t hear of any more of your excuses tonight. It is late.” Snape snapped, his hand rubbing down the side of his face. “The evidence will speak for itself in the morning, and you will face the appropriate consequences.”

“I-I-I’m not…” Harry whispered, tears now rolling down his face. He couldn’t leave Hogwarts; this was his home. Sure, it wasn’t perfect at times, but life never was for Harry. The fact is that Harry had never been happier than at his time at Hogwarts. And now it was going to be taken away from him.

“Get to bed. Now. You’ll be dealt with in the morning.” Snape sneered, looking maliciously down at Harry before sweeping out the dorm, pocket watch in hand.

Before the door slam, Harry saw a flick of his wrist which made Harry’s belongings tidy up, and silk sheets sweep back onto his bed neatly.

Harry rushed to his newly made bed and immediately pulled his curtains shut before the sobs erupted from his tiny body. He muffled his cries into his pillow when he heard the other boys re-enter the dorm, but for some reason they didn’t bother him and went straight to bed too.

Tears were still pouring down his face as he fell into a restless sleep, while wondering how his life went from so right to then so wrong.

---

Severus Snape often prided himself on being a good head of house. He kept a close eye on his students, and he felt protective over their safety, wellbeing, and their education.

Slytherin house was home for him when he was in Hogwarts. It was a place away from his bullies, a place away from the Gryffindors, and a place away from his father.

It was for that reason that he accepted the job offer all those years ago from Albus Dumbledore, he still felt a loyalty to his old schoolhouse and a new sense of protectiveness over his snakes, who already face too much prejudice from other houses.

It made any late night staying up with seventh years to perfect essays, and any early morning meeting with his prefects to keep up to date, all worth it. It was piece of mind that he was looking out for all his students.

That was until Harry Potter was sorted into Slytherin house. At first, he had seen Harry Potter as the carbon copy of his father and his cronies; arrogant, cruel and a bully. In fact, until he had been called to the first-year dorms by none other than Draco Malfoy, reporting theft of a magical family heirloom, Severus was still standing by his early assumption. Now he was a little unsure.

Perhaps it was the darkness of the night and the tiredness that Severus felt from grading papers late into the evening, or perhaps it was the fire whisky Minerva had convinced him to drink at the feast itself. Whatever it was, it had thrown Severus, and he felt a sense of dread settle in his stomach.

This was routine. He’d always preferred when prefects could sort out any petty spats between housemates, usually all focused on friendships and relationships, but it wasn’t unfrequent that he had to get involved to ensure peace was still achieved in his house. Slytherin had fewer arguments from what he had heard from other houses, but it was inevitable with teenagers living in such close quarters that quarrels would occur. So it wasn’t much of a surprise when he was called to the Slytherin first year dorms after the feast, and he also wasn’t surprised it had involved the infamous golden boy.

The Potter boy had caused nothing but trouble since he had arrived through the Hogwarts gates. He’d refused to listen to authority numerous times, caused trouble within his social circles and even made inter-house friendships, clearly as an act of rebellion. His schoolwork was average and showed little care to the true craft of magical studies. It frustrated Severus to no end, it was as if all his usual tactics were failing him, the Potter boy refused to be intimidated.

But theft was on another level to these annoyances and Severus decided he had clearly been too lenient with the boy and was prepared to unleash hell on the thieving boy as soon as he returned to the dorm, intent on finding Draco’s watch but also ensuring the boy learnt a lesson in decorum, perhaps deterring his behaviour and lack of respect for rules.

It was clear Potter was the one to take the Malfoy watch. He wasn’t at the feast and Severus noticed his little Gryffindor cronies failed to show up for the Halloween celebrations also. The fact the Slytherin boy had refused to tell Snape his whereabouts during the feast confirmed this.

This was simple. Routine. Potter was clearly breaking the rules, he had evidence to back this up and the boy’s track record this term didn’t suggest anything was amiss. So, what was bothering Snape so much so that he’d had to pour himself another glass of fire whisky when he’d returned to his quarters? A feeling of dread had settled further in his stomach and no matter what Snape did he couldn’t escape it. Every time he closed his eyes, the Potter boy and his peculiar reactions haunted him.

It was as if he’d looked at the boy for the first time when he was in that dorm room. His small hands had been shaking, tears streaming down his face, and when he flinched away from the professor’s hand, it triggered something within Severus that he didn’t quite understand himself.

The green eyes, so full of fear, so full of despair, yet so similar to the eyes of his childhood best friend. The child’s mother.

It was so much emotion, more emotion than Severus was used to feeling in a long time. Perhaps he was delirious from the fire whisky. He'd decided to figure out what to do with the boy in the morning, an alternate perspective from his mentor would help too. He couldn't straight when it came to Harry Potter. It was unnerving.

There was also the boy’s trunk. It wasn’t unusual for his snakes to protect their belongings, but it often meant they had something to hide from the eager eyes of their dorm-mates. When Snape looked through the measly belongings of the boy, he couldn’t see any reason for the boy to be so secretive. So, what was he hiding?

These thoughts haunted Snape’s sleep. The trunk. The washbag. The stinging charms. The flinches. Those eyes.

It left him staring down at his third coffee at the staff table the next morning, trying to wake himself up from his awful night’s sleep. He needed his wits about him if he was going to deal with the Potter boy again. He still hadn’t decided what to do.

He hadn’t lied to the boy. Theft was an apt reason to build a case for expulsion. But something wasn’t right. The stupid feeling of dread hadn’t left his stomach since the previous night, and he needed to squash that before any decisions were made.

If Severus himself felt exhaustion from his rough night, when he looked up and saw Potter enter the great hall, he could see the exhaustion living his face, possibly mirroring his own. He pulled his glasses aside to rub his eyes before taking a solitary seat at the far end of the Slytherin table. He grabbed a piece of toast from the centre of the breakfast feast and nibbled it. Severus couldn’t keep his eyes off the small boy, he was like a logic puzzle that Severus needed to figure out the answer to.

It seemed as if not even his Gryffindor friends could cheer up the boy as they entered obnoxiously loud as always. He saw one of them, the youngest of the Weasley’s call out to him but Harry just hunched in on himself taking another small bite of his toast.

His Gryffindor friends frowned as his reaction. They all took their places at the Gryffindor table, but Severus noticed the Weasley boy and the intelligent muggleborn girl- Granger hesitate. They finally sat down but cast concerned glances his way. How had one of his Snake’s made such an impression of friendship on the opposing house? Especially when he struggles so to maintain relationships with his house and dorm-mates. And how had this happened right under Severus's nose?

Severus decided he was only delaying the inevitable and the boy seemed to not be eating much of his breakfast any way, perhaps from nerves. Where did this feeling of sympathy for the boy come from? He reminded himself of the trouble and frustration he has caused all term. The boy brought this on himself, he doesn't deserve Severus' sympathy.

With one last sip of his coffee, he stood from the staff table and swept over to the end of the Slytherin table.

“Mr Potter.” He called and he saw Harry cringe. “Follow me. Now.”

Harry snuck a glance at his professor from under his eyelashes and then nodded, swinging his legs around to stand. He was about to follow his professor when Severus noticed the boy cast his eyes longingly over at the Gryffindors. Snape rolled his eyes.

“Anytime now, Mr Potter. Don’t waste my time.”

As if the familiar drawl reminded him of his fate, and he begrudgingly looked away from his friends and followed his professor, his gaze firmly on the ground.

They walked side by side all the way to the headmaster’s office, Severus’s head still spinning and the boy’s head still firming facing the ground.

“Sherbet lemon.” Snape murmured eventually and he heard Harry let out a little gasp as they watched the large griffin statue begin to twist and emerge into a staircase and they both made their way up the stairs to visit the headmaster.
To be continued...
End Notes:
I hope this chapter isn't to rambly, just wanted to give some insight to snapes thoughts too, hope u enjoy
Chapter 11 by Handa
“So, my boy, could you tell me where you were last night while we were having the Halloween Feast?” Dumbledore asked, his gaze finally landing upon Harry. Albus Dumbledore’s eyes were intense, gazing at him over half-moon spectacles.

He was sat on a cushioned chair in front of the headmaster, his head of house sat beside him had just finished explaining the events of the previous evening. To Harry’s surprise Professor Snape’s voice seemed to lack the usual malice when talking about Harry, but maybe his nerves were making him imagine things.

Dumbledore’s office provided plenty of opportunity to look away from his teachers’ gazes, magical and wonderful artifacts lined the floor to the ceiling of the circular room. He grew sad when he realised how magnificent magic is and how much he would miss it when he was expelled. Harry noticed the sorting hat perched up behind his headmaster and he looked away, that stupid hat was the reason of all Harry’s problems.

Harry looked down at his hands clasped on his lap to stop them from shaking too bad, and then down to his feet, dangling slightly as he was too short to reach the ground. He didn’t want to tell Dumbledore the truth, he felt embarrassed and besides, what if Ron got in trouble for stealing food from the kitchens?

Dumbledore sighed gently at Harry's lack of response, leaning back into his large, cushioned chair to study Harry, his hands clasping over his long white beard. “I can’t help you if you don’t allow me to, Harry.”

Harry cast his eyes down again. What was the point of getting his friends in trouble if he was already getting expelled? There’s no way Snape would give in until Harry was gone from his house, and out of Hogwarts. What was the point in bringing his friends down with him?

“I noticed some Gryffindor first years were also not present at the feast. Certain Gryffindors that I’ve noticed you’ve become acquainted with?” Dumbledore mused; Harry heard Snape scoff quietly beside him.

“They’re my friends.” Harry said, his voice soft.

“Indeed. It is curious.” Dumbledore said, with a gentle smile. “It is unusual for such close bonds to form between houses.”

Harry sighed. He knew it was unusual. The strange glances he got were enough confirmation of that. But it wasn’t his fault that he didn’t belong in Slytherin.

“And have you formed similar bonds within your own house?” Dumbledore said after a pause. “Is this whole thing a friendly competition that got out of control? I just need you to be honest with me, Harry.”

“No Sir.” Harry replied, biting his lip. “They aren’t my friends. The boys in Slytherin don’t care for me much.”

“Is that so?” The headmaster’s brow furrowed, as he questioned the small boy.

But Harry was growing inpatient, he'd rather they just rip the plaster off and expel him already. “Pardon me sir, but I don’t understand why this is important,” Harry started, his voice unsure but he tried to be brave. Like a Gryffindor. “Because I’m leaving soon anyway.”

“Leaving?” Dumbledore asked, “And where do you plan on going Harry?”

Harry paused. That wasn’t the answer he was expecting. “You’re not planning on – on expelling me?” Harry stuttered, caught off guard. He’d prepared himself for the inevitable all night, believing last night was the last night sleeping in his soft, silk-sheeted bed, and waking up to a warming cooked breakfast.

“Professor Snape suggested we do a more thorough investigation before we jump to such conclusions.” Dumbledore replied simply, inspecting Harry's reaction. “That is- do you believe you should be expelled, Harry?”

“No!” Harry blurted before he could breathe. Snape had suggested it? He could hardly believe it. “I-I told you, I didn’t steal anything.” Harry felt his voice crack on his last word, he hoped he didn’t sound too desperate.

“Then where were you last night, Potter?” Snape snapped, finally joining the conversation. Harry almost forgot he was there.

“I-I” Harry sighed and took a breath through his nose and a little shakily out his mouth. He didn’t want to lie, but the truth felt a little pathetic. But he was tired, and the words were leaving his mouth before he realised. If there was any chance he could stay at Hogwarts, it was worth telling the truth, right? “I just didn’t feel much like celebrating." Harry began. "'Cause of my parents. They died on Halloween night, and- I know it was 11 years ago but…I didn’t know before...”

The room was silent after Harry’s whispered admission and Harry heard Snape take a sharp intake of breath. He peaked a glance at the headmaster to see his eyebrows high with surprise and a look of sadness in his eyes.

The headmaster began to open his mouth to speak but he didn’t have chance to say anything before they were interrupted by a window bursting open and a golden bird flying through and whooshing over their heads. Harry’s mouth opened in shock but also in awe as he watched the magical bird perch on a small stand beside Dumbledore’s desk.

“This is Fawkes, Harry.” The headmaster said instead, lifting a wrinkled hand to pet the golden feathers of the bird. “Come say hello, if you like.”

Harry stayed still at first, but then was too intrigued to see the magical bird up close so he slowly hopped off his chair and walked over to the bird.

“Perhaps Professor Snape would be kind enough to fetch the young Mr Malfoy to join us. I fear we will not be able to sort this disagreement without him.” Dumbledore said while Harry stared at Fawkes. Harry was nervous at the headmaster’s words but he was expecting them, so he continued to look at Fawkes while he heard his head of house quietly leave, to fetch Draco he supposed.

He reached a hesitant hand up to pet Fawkes, his beady eyes inspecting Harry’s every move, yet made no contest so Harry gently stroked a hand down his neck, the bird nuzzled into Harry’s touch and chirped. Harry smiled.

“I think she likes you, Harry.” Dumbledore said softly, watching the boy closely. “I always thought she was a good judge of character.”

Harry smiled again, not taking his eyes off the bird. Since entering the wizarding world, he’d realised how his heart rate calmed around animals. It was strange since the only animal he’d really been in contact with before Hogwarts was Ripper, Aunt Marge’s horrible dog and maybe a few spiders in his cupboard. Yet from Hedwig to Hagrid’s dog Fang, and now Fawkes, he felt calm in the animal’s presence. Animals didn’t judge you; they treat you with the respect that you show them, and that was what Harry liked the most. He wished more human’s had those principles.

Speaking of people who Harry wished shared those values in life, Snape and Draco had entered the office.

“Mr Malfoy. Thank you for joining us, would you like to take a seat?” Dumbledore said.

Draco sauntered in, a smirk on his face before he cast a sneering glance Harry’s way before taking the seat Snape had previously vacated. Harry stood awkwardly by Fawkes, the bird’s presence seemed to put the boy at ease and he didn’t want to sit back down.

“Did you bring your watch?” Professor Snape addressed Malfoy, he stood behind the boy with his arms crossed. Harry noticed that his voice was more clipped than usual when talking to the Slytherin boy.

Draco lifted his left sleeve up and revealed the gold magical object that had been the reason for all of Harry’s current woes.

“May I have a look at it?” Dumbledore asked and Draco shrugged and didn’t object to the headmaster as he handed it over across his desk. Dumbledore placed the watch in front of him on the table and then pulled his wand out his sleeve and pointed it at the object, and muttered a spell Harry didn't recognise.

Harry’s eyes widened and Draco stood up in shock as a bright, silver burst of magic surrounded the object in a shimmering swirl. The magic in the air was thick, Harry felt it buzzing in his blood in response.

“Harry, if you could reach out your hand?” Dumbledore spoke and Harry was so enchanted by the magic he almost forgot to listen to what his headmaster said. He lifted his right hand up gently and instantly the magic surrounding Draco’s watch was hovering above Harry’s hand in a glimmering, buzzing sphere. Harry felt the magic rushing over his body and shivered.

The magic changed from a sparkling silver to a pale green. Harry looked up to see Dumbledore softly smile and with another flick of his wand the magic dissipated, and Harry felt the buzz of the magic leaving the air with a whoosh, his felt his hair blow slightly in the wind.

“What did you do to my watch!” Draco immediately protested, reaching over the desk to snatch it back, and inspect it. “If you’ve caused it any harm, my father will hear about this!”

“Mr Malfoy.” Snape warned. “Show some respect to your Headmaster.”

“Apologies, my boy. Your watch has suffered no harm and remains as it was when you brought it here.” Dumbledore softly replied, unaffected by Draco’s outburst or disrespect.

“Then what on earth was that?” Draco haughtily replied. After receiving a glare from his Head of House added a begrudged “Sir.”.

“It was a simple identification spell, it let me know if Harry had ever been in contact with your watch." Dumbledore explained patiently. "It only is possible to perform such spells with old magical artifacts, such as your watch as it possesses its own internal magic which can be interacted with, if one knows the correct spells, of course.”

Harry saw Draco’s face become more and more pale as Dumbledore spoke. He clutched the watch closely to his chest, as if it would reveal all his secrets.

“I think that has cleared everything up, wouldn’t you agree Professor Snape.” Dumbledore said, his eyes twinkling at Harry, who was looking frantically around to understand what was happening around him. Did that spell prove his innocence? Had this whole scheme been exposed? Harry knew he'd never touched Draco's watch, was that what the green light in the spell confirmed?

“Quite.” Snape chimed, and Harry snuck a glance at his professor to see his deep obsidian eyes studying him already. Harry squirmed under the attention. “Thank you, Headmaster.”

“Perhaps if Harry leaves now, he could still make it to his first class. Charms is it, my boy?” Dumbledore addressed Harry, ignoring Draco’s pale face.

Harry nods quickly. He can hardly believe he was being allowed to stay. His heart roared in his chest. The Slytherin’s hadn’t managed to best him yet.

Harry stood up, grabbing his bag hastily. He didn’t want to leave too slow for them to change their minds and expel him anyway. His hands shook a little still as he lifted his bag over his shoulder and turned to leave.

“Potter.”

Snape’s voice quietly stopped him before he made it to the door and he immediately froze, his heart plummeting.

He turned to face his fate, but Snape just stared and finally said. “Report to my office after your last class.”

“Yes sir.” Harry sighed softly. He wasn’t off the hook completely then. Maybe Snape wanted to give him detention for causing this mess, simply by existing. It wouldn’t be too surprising.

“You’re dismissed.” Snape replied and Harry quietly exited the headmaster’s office. He breathed a sigh of relief, hoping his heart would stop racing soon.

He heard Draco’s faint pleas of innocence behind the wooden door and allowed himself to crack a small smile.

---

Harry told his friends in Gryffindor what had transpired in a hushed voice in the library but their reaction wasn’t at all what he expected, as they all gaped at him in shock.

“Harry, that’s quite serious. They framed you.” Hermione spoke first, a small wrinkle between her eyebrows which Harry only usually saw when she was tackling a particularly hard Transfiguration problem.

“Yeah but-“

“And you could’ve been expelled.” Neville continued.

“And lost your wand.” Ron added.

“Yeah, but I didn’t.” Harry frowned. “Didn’t you hear me when I said Dumbledore did a cool spell and proved I never touched it?”

“That sounds wicked mate.” Ron replied, offering Harry a small grin. “But what the Slytherin’s did was so cruel. I didn’t realise it had gotten that bad, especially since you started to protect your trunk. I can't believe you have to be in the same house as them.”

Harry looked down, embarrassed. He was embarrassed to be in Slytherin. He still wished he was in Gryffindor.

“I wish you were sorted in Gryffindor, Harry.” Neville said softly. “You shouldn’t have to put up with them.”

“You should be able to feel safe in your own dorm, Harry.” Hermione placed a hand on his, on the table. “But I’m glad Dumbledore saw through their schemes and you’re still here. We’d miss you, if you left.”

The Gryffindor’s words rang in Harry’s head throughout the rest of the day as he attended classes as normal. Draco was notably absent, and the other Slytherin first year boys seemed to have realised and cast confused glances at Harry but nevertheless seemed to leave him alone.

He’d known the Gryffindor’s for a few months, and he liked to this he knew them pretty well, but he hadn’t expected their shocked reaction of concern for him. He wasn’t even a real Gryffindor; he didn’t really deserve their concern.

It was the end of the day, and Harry found himself making his way to Snape’s office, a little worried why the Professor wanted to see him. He knocked softly and remembered the last time he was in the office, when McGonagall had caught him and Draco flying and deposited them at Snape’s door.

“Enter.” Snape’s voice rang out, bringing him out of his thoughts as he hesitantly opened the door to see Snape waiting sat behind his desk.

Harry said nothing and went in to sit on the stool placed in front of the desk. He perched on the edge, as if ready to run if he needed to.

“Mr Malfoy confessed that he hid the watch under your bed. In order to get you in trouble.” Snape finally spoke, his eyes studying Harry closely.

“He- he did?” Harry stuttered in shock. He couldn’t imagine Draco confessing to anything involving Harry.

“I realised I owe you an apology.” Snape said, his jaw clenched, as if it pained him to say so. “You were indeed telling the truth, and I shouldn’t have condemned you so quickly.”

Harry couldn’t help himself from gaping at his head of house. Had he stepped into an alternate universe?

“Close your mouth before you attract flies.” Snape drawled and Harry prompted closed his mouth. “Answer a question for me, Mr Potter.”

Harry nodded slowly. Hopefully it wasn’t one of those trick questions.

“What is the real reason you don’t spend time with the other Slytherin boys?” He asked.

Harry paused. He was unsure what to answer. He’d already told him that the Slytherin boys didn’t like him. Wasn’t that enough of a reason to not spend time with them?

“I guess they’ve decided that I don’t belong in Slytherin house.” Harry finally responded, his voice quiet and unsure.

“And what about you, Mr Potter?” Snape asked.

“What about me…? Sir.” Harry replied.

“Do you believe you belong in Slytherin house?” Snape clarified. For once his voice sounded patient and not condescending or angry. Why was his head of house acting so strangely?

Harry shrugged and pushed his glasses up his nose from where they’d dropped. “Um. Not really." Harry replied, honestly. "Sir.”

Snape’s jaw clenched. Harry worried he has said the wrong thing.

“The sorting hat placed you in Slytherin, did it not?” Snape finally said, his voice seemed clipped and sharp.

“Yes sir.”

“Do you doubt the sorting hat’s magic?”

“No sir, but-“

“But nothing, Potter.” Snape interrupted; his eyes intense. Snape’s voice raised as he continued. “You belong at Hogwarts, and you belong in Slytherin house. Do you understand?”

Harry cowered a little in his chair at the Professor’s stern tone. “Yes sir.”

Snape sighed and put his head in his hands. Harry watched cautiously.

“I have talked to Mr Malfoy. His behaviour was not acceptable.” Snape said, looking up at Harry again. “I will be speaking to the other Slytherin boys as well.”

“You will?”

“The charms on your trunk of which I encountered when searching your belongings.” Snape continued. “Your dormmates were tampering with your belongings. Is that correct?”

Harry held his breath. He didn’t want to confirm, in case the other boys found out he’d told.

“Potter? Do not lie to me.” Snape gritted.

“Yeah, they did.” Harry muttered, but he couldn’t look up at his professor. He was embarrassed.

It was silent for a while. Harry could hear Snape breathing heavily. He hoped he wasn’t angry at Harry. Harry didn’t dare look up and clasped his hands together and stared at them instead.

“You will not be returning to that dorm room.” Snape said and Harry’s head snapped up at his words. Snape was forcing Harry to leave? But he couldn’t leave Hogwarts.

“But I-“

“Potter, it seems there has been a great deal of misconduct in my house and now that I am aware, I will not allow it to continue.” Snape gave Harry no chance to speak. “My students' safety in my house is my priority.”

Harry felt something tight in his chest at Snape referring to him at one of his own. He couldn’t quite understand what that feeling was.

“If you are agreeable, I have made alternative arrangements to your living arrangements.” Snape explained. Harry’s heart thumped in his chest, hoping the living arrangements were not worse than his current ones.

“Do I have a dorm to myself?” Harry asked hopefully.

Snape rolled his eyes immediately. “No Potter.” Snape sneered. “Unfortunately, the castle cannot cater to your every spoilt whim such as your relatives at home.”

Harry immediately grew sombre at his words, thinking about how that was anything but the case.

“I have instead, made arrangements for you to be moved into the fourth year Slytherin dorms, if you so please.” Snape continued; Harry stared in shock.

“Fourth year? But…”

“Potter, I do not do this often. This is my way of expressing that I do not take these situations lightly.” Snape said almost softly. “You'll continue in your first year classes. There are only four boys in Slytherin fourth year, more than enough room for you. One of my Prefects - Mr Lucas Moore - will additionally be there to look out for you.”

Harry was speechless. This was the last thing he expected from this meeting with his head of house, he expected Snape forcing him to scrub cauldrons before making arrangements such as these.

All the Slytherin’s Harry had encountered thus far in Hogwarts were not pleasant people, how would these fourth years be any different? Plus they were bigger than first years, they could definitely inflict more damage on Harry than his current dormmates. They’d also know more magic and could turn that on Harry too.

“Um no thank you. Sir.” Harry bravely said. “I’m fine in the first year dorms.”

Snape’s jaw clenched again, and his eyes narrowed.

“It is my belief you’d be much happier removed from that dorm.” Snape said. His words were kind but his tone was the opposite, it confused Harry.

“I don’t want to be a burden.” Harry said truthfully.

“It is not a burden. It is my job to look out for the safety and wellbeing of the students residing in my house.” Snape countered. “A job I have perhaps neglected until this moment. I wish to remedy that. But the decision remains to be yours.”

Harry remained silent. Snape’s sudden interest in his wellbeing was interesting and made something ache in his chest but he didn’t quite trust it. Snape had also belittled and picked on Harry, why should he change his behaviour so suddenly?

“Perhaps a preposition would change your mind?” Snape offered and Harry raised his head in interest. “Try it for a month. Residing in the forth year dorm.”

Harry waited for his Professor to continue.

“In the meantime, I will permit you to sit with your little… Gryffindor fan club …. during mealtimes.” Snape spoke, almost as if it pained him to say.

Harry couldn’t stop a small smile arising on his face. “You mean it?”

"I don't ever say things I don't mean, Mr Potter." Snape paused, reflecting. "Being a good Slytherin means being resourceful, determined and clever; using those traits to get what you want. In this case, I am offering something you desire in return for you simply doing something for me. It is up to you to decide whether that preposition is a worthy one. "

Harry paused, thinking over Snape’s words in his head and thinking about his decision. Snape allowed him time to think.

Being able to spend mealtimes with his friends sounded fun. He’d longingly looked over at the Gryffindor table ever since he'd arrived, wishing he could go laugh and joke with Ron and his brothers, talk about his schoolwork with Hermione and Neville or simply just talk about their days, away from the hushed atmosphere in the library. It would feel like he was one of them.

He’d already dealt with bad dorm-mates, how hard would it be to do it again? This time he'd have the bonus of spending more time with his friends.

“Do we have a deal, Potter?” Snape asked.

“Ok sir. Deal.” Harry responded eventually. He hoped he wouldn’t regret this.

Harry saw Snape’s lip twitch. Perhaps that was as near as Snape got to a smile.

A knock then sounded through the office, Harry looked at his Professor in confusion.

“Ah, that’ll be Mr Moore.” Snape said before ushering his prefect into the office. “I asked him here to take you back to your new dorm room. You'll find Hogwarts will have adjusted to accommodate you.”

Harry recognised the boy vaguely from the common room and the great hall as he entered politely. He had light brown hair framing a thin face and string jawline. Harry noticed the prefect badge glimmering in the candlelight.

He offered Harry a small nod as a greeting Harry sent an unsure smile back at the older boy, cautious of the Slytherin Prefect, who suddenly made Harry feel small.

A thought occurred to Harry that Snape must have known Harry was going to agree to move dorms or he wouldn’t have invited the Moore boy to show him to his new dorm.

It made him think again about what Snape said about controlling situations to your own benefit. Perhaps making Harry think he was making his own decision was Snape’s real way of convincing Harry to agree.

Harry cast one last look at his head of house as he was leaving, watching the man for any other changes. He was unnerved by this new Snape, but he hoped he was here to stay. Even just for a little while.
To be continued...
Chapter 12 by Handa
“Harry, I’d like you to meet Zachary Wilson, Manish Rao and Gideon Zabini. Your new dormmates. Guys, this is Harry Potter, he’s rooming with us now.” Lucas Moore- the prefect- stated as they entered the dorm room.

Harry hugged his bag to his chest as he looked around.

The dorm room looked similar to his old one - a rectangular room with dark wooden floors and walls, and emerald green decor. There was fewer beds this time, and Harry noticed one with his trunk placed beside it.

The other difference to his last dorms were its habitants: they were undoubtably bigger and scarier looking that his last. Harry thought he had heard Lucas say the surname Zabini and hoped he'd misheard, and that he was not in anyway associated with Blaise Zabini- who Harry was all too familiar with. He gulped.

“Is this some kind of joke?” One of the boys asked, he was sat crossed-legged on one of the beds, surrounded by papers, seemingly doing one of his assignments. He had dark skin and a narrow, thin face and a crease between his eyebrows as he gazed on Harry.

“No, Manish.” Lucas replied, he tapped Harry’s shoulder and nudged him gently towards the empty bed with Harry's trunk “Snape’s orders.”

“Bunking with a firstie, merlin how embarrassing.” Another boy chimed in, he was lazing on a bed next to the empty one Lucas pointed him to. He was decidedly the scariest of the group, he was built and muscular and had a scowl etched on his face as he examined Harry, his hand’s behind his head and a quaffle beside him as he lazed on his bed. Harry hurried to his bed and looked away.

“Hey. Play nice, Zabini.” Lucas warned, his face hardened. So this boy was the one related to Blaise? Looking at him again he could see the resemblance, but a glance at his sizeable fists made Harry sure he did not want to get on his bad side, he made Blaise look like a toddler. Lucas continued, his voice stern. “You know Snape wouldn’t move him without good reasons. So suck it up.”

“What kind of reasons?” The final fourth year boy chimed in, Harry looked to him to see a blond boy with pale skin and a round face, fussing with what seemed like a pet snake, he had a mischievous smile on his face making Harry slightly uneasy. “You some kind of weirdo then, Potter?” He laughed and the other two boys chuckled along.

Harry clenched his teeth and looked away. So, this wouldn’t be that different to his old dorm after all. Harry heard a hissing coming from the blond boy's snake, he didn't sound happy and Harry thought he heard it hiss the words: "Ssssso cold"

Harry wondered why the boys were ignoring the snake, clearly trying to ask for help.

“Back off him guys.” Lucas gritted. “Or I’ll have to tell Snape you all don’t respect his decisions as head of house…”

Harry felt something swell in his chest, similar to when Ron stuck up for him on his first day against Draco.

“Oh, don’t get your knickers in a twist Luc,” The blond one rolled his eyes and chuckled. “You know since you became a prefect, you’re really no fun.”
“Snape trusted me with-“

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever.” The blond boy interrupted, he placed his snake down on his bed before promptly walking in Harry’s direction, Harry’s eyes widened at the older boy’s approach. He sat on Zabini’s bed (with slight protest from Zabini which he ignored), which was opposite Harry’s and stuck his hand out. “Sorry mate, we’re just joking with you. I’m Zach by the way.”

Harry hesitantly shook it and the blond boy – Zach – nodded, seeming satisfied with Harry’s answer.

“I’m Manish,” The boy surrounded by papers called out, not looking up from his papers but waved distractedly in Harry’s direction. “And as long as you’re quieter than these idiots, I don’t mind you being here, firstie.”

Harry offered a small smile, not sure why as the boy – Manish – didn’t look over at him anyway, he was too occupied with his textbooks. Harry heard him mutter something about being unprepared.

“Well, I mind.” Gideon Zabini muttered, breaking the silence. He threw his quaffle in the air and caught it sharply.

“Oh, shove off Zabini.” Lucas rolled his eyes. “It’s your brat of a brother and his friends who drove Potter out anyway.”

“Blaise? Ha, he couldn’t hurt a fly.” Gideon Zabini scoffed, throwing the quaffle again. “They can't have done anything that bad. Potter was probably just sensitive.” He offered Harry a glare.

Harry didn’t grace his words with a response and took to opening his trunk to check all his belongings remained, relieved they seemed the same as he’d left them.

This was ok. He could deal with this, it was worth it to sit with his friends during meals. Apart from Gideon Zabini, the other boys seemed ok, but Harry wasn't about to let his guard down so easily around them. First impressions could be deceiving.

As it was already late, Harry washed up and crawled into his new bed. It had been a strange day, one he couldn't have predicted when he woke up that morning preparing to be expelled from Hogwarts and his wand (along with his hopes and dreams) destroyed in front of him.

He let himself think about Snape's strange behaviour. The man was unpredictable and it made Harry nervous. He'd been cruel to Harry since he'd arrived, yet earlier he had seemed almost concerned for Harry, enough to make a preposition in order to make Harry feel more comfortable. It was odd, but Harry didn't let himself wish that Snape's new behaviour would be a long-term change. He'd probably be back to normal tomorrow.

Harry closed the soft curtains around his bed, the other boys continued to chat quietly around him but Harry already felt the exhaustion of his emotional day catch up with him and slipped off to sleep.

--

“What are you doing?” Harry cringed as Lucas’s voice sounded from behind him.

He felt his cheeks blush as he saw Lucas on his way to the washroom, standing next to where Harry was over his trunk, wand outstretched.

He was hoping to get up early before the older boys woke and put his repelling charms on his trunk and then make a hasty escape to breakfast. It had become his routine in the first year dorms, especially after the disastrous first day where the other boys tricked him and stole his stuff.

“Nothing.” Harry whispered; he didn’t want the other boys waking up. “Sorry for waking you. I’m just going to breakfast early.”

“Are you putting a repelling charm on your trunk?” Lucas insisted, a baffled look on his face. He voice seemed loud in calm stillness of the morning.

“I-“ Harry felt like a deer in headlights. Lucas’s voice made the other boys stir.

“You know, they were just teasing you last night.” Lucas said. “Gideon’s all talk, he won’t do anything to your stuff.”

Harry looked unsure, glancing worriedly to the bed beside him in which Zabini slept, and then back at his own belongings.

“Merlin- the other firsties- they were messing with your stuff?” Lucas said, incredulous. He asked it like a question, but it seemed like he already knew the answer, so Harry just looked away. “No wonder Snape moved you. That’s awful.”

“What’s awful?” Zach poked his head around his curtain with a yawn. Harry sighed, so much for making a hasty, solitude escape.

Lucas continued, staring quite intently at Harry. “Slytherins are supposed to look out for their own, not tear people down.”

“Ugh, here he goes again.” Zach flopped back into his bed dramatically with a groan.

“What?” Lucas exclaimed. “I want to get Slytherin out of its bad rep, and then some firsties come along and screw it up. It pisses me off, okay?”

“Who’s possibly pissed who off at this time in the morning?” Manish appeared from behind his emerald curtains, stretching his neck with a yawn. “Seriously why are you guys up so early? You know I need my sleep for this stupid Charms test today.”

“I have a prefects meeting.” Lucas replied. “And saw Harry awake and casting charms on his trunk. The firsties were messing with his stuff and now he thinks we are going to as well.” He explained, Harry gaped.

“I- um.“ Harry didn’t know what to say, he didn’t like everyone’s eyes on him. He felt so small in this dorm room. Maybe they'd all be offended and torment harry for it, who knows what scary spells these fourth year Slytherins knew, Harry wouldn't stand a chance.

“Blaise messed with your stuff?” A voice asked from beside him, Harry jumped to see the older Zabini had emerged from his slumber too, he looked angry.

Harry looks away immediately. His silence seemed to be enough confirmation to the older Zabini, Gideon.

“That little shit.” He cursed. “I’ll talk to him.”

“No, please don’t.” Harry begged, having found his voice again. “They’ll already be mad at me for moving dorms and- it’ll just make it worse.”

“Even more reason for me to talk to him.” Gideon Zabini shrugged. “It’s like Luc said – Slytherins look after their own. Even if you're a bit weird, Potter. ”

Harry looked at Gideon with confusion. The boy seemed to hate him last night, what changed? Apart from calling him weird, but Harry barely noticed name calling like that anymore.

Harry shrugged, as the boys started to move and get up for the day. “I can handle them. I'm fine.”

“Sure…” Zach laughed sarcastically. “Is that why Snape moved you here, then?” He teased, reaching down to pick up his snake from its small cage who hissed once again.

"Sssssso cold. Pleassse."

Harry wondered again why the boys were ignoring it, he felt sorry for the snake, and couldn't bare to hear it's cries anymore.

“Your snake keeps saying it’s cold, why do you ignore him?” Harry asked bravely. It was the first time he’d volunteered an interaction with the fourth years, but he didn’t want any more questions asked about the other first year boys and wanted a change of topic.

Everyone paused in the room. Gideon stopped throwing his quaffle, Manish stopped rustling his papers, Lucas stopped routing through his trunk for clothes, and stared at Harry.

“Rocko is fine, firstie.” Zach scoffed, holding his pocket-sized, green snake up in the air to show him off. “He’s just been a bit restless since we got back to Hogwarts but he won’t bite if that’s what you’re worried about-”

“Wait, did you say- you heard it speak?” Lucas interrupted, gazing intensely at Harry again.

"Ssstupid human, ssssso cold."

“Listen closely, he just spoke again.” Harry insisted, why were they making him feel stupid, it was clearly saying words.

“Harry, all we can hear are hisses…” Lucas replied slowly.

“No way! You’re a parcelmouth?” Manish said. Everyone was staring at Harry now.

“A what?” Harry timidly asked. He hated this attention.

“A parcelmouth - You can talk to snakes.” Gideon drawled.

“Well, yeah.” Harry said, feeling small. “I thought all wizards could…”

“No, Harry. It’s an extremely rare gift.” Lucas replied, almost with a look of awe on his face. “You’ve talked to snakes before?”

“Well, once. I kind of sent a boa after my cousin once.” Harry said. "By accident." He added, sheepishly.

“Wicked.” Manish grinned.

“Wait- this is mad useful!” Zach exclaimed, once the facts seemed to have sunk in, running to Harry’s bed with Rocko in hand. “You said he was cold? Can you talk to him more? Something’s been up with him since we got back to Hogwarts, he’s not been eating much either.”

Before he knew it, Harry suddenly had a pet snake in his lap and slithering up his arm. Instead of being scared Harry giggled as it tickled his skin.

The other boys went silent, crowding round and looked at him expectantly. Harry didn't know if he could communicate on demand, but from all the attentive glances he didn't have much choice but to try.

“Um, hello Rocko.” Harry said, unsure if he’d look silly if he want just speaking English outloud.

Zach whistled under his breath and Lucas let out a shallow gasp. Harry guessed he was speaking this snake language. It was strange, it just sounded like English to him.

The snake – Rocko- responded immediately, it’s beady head shooting up to stare at Harry, it’s tongue bolting out in curiousity.

"A sssssspeaker?"

"Yessssss my name is Harry."


Rocko curled around Harry's wrist, curious of the young wizard.

"Pleassssed to meet your acquaintance massssster Harry."

"I’m no massssster, jusssst a friend."

"Okay friend Harry."
The snake replied.

Harry sneaked a glance at his new dorm-mates who were staring in awe. Harry felt his cheeks heat up. He then remembered what he was supposed to be doing.

"Why are you not eating? Issss ssssomething the matter?" Harry asked.

"Apart from the sssssame ssssstale food every day?

Harry giggled a little at the snake’s response, as it slithered to the top of Harry’s arm and over his neck. Harry shivered but didn’t mind the snake’s presence.

"Tell my masssster thessse dungeonssss are too cold, I losssse my appetite."

“Ok, what on earth is my snake saying to you that’s so amusing firstie?” Zach asked, his voice baffled.

Harry remembered his audience and his smile dropped. “Oh I'm sorry. I forgot you guys can’t-“ Harry cut himself off to stop rambling. Of course they can't understand his exchange with the snake. That's why he had the snake in his lap in the first place. “He said he’s too cold in these dungeons and it means he loses his appetite for food. Maybe you could add a blanket to his cage? I think he’d like that. Oh and maybe some different foods sometimes?”

It was silent for a while as the fourth years stared at Harry.

He hoped he'd said the right thing and that they weren't offended. Or maybe they were weirded out by Harry talking to snakes. Another thing Harry could add to the list of reasons he wasn't normal.

But then Zach swiftly leaned forward and gently took Rocko out of Harry’s grip. “I’m sorry Rocko. I wasn't thinking, of course it'd be colder here than at home in Wales.” He said to his snake and then looked up at Harry, with a grin. “Thanks firstie.”

“That was brilliant.” Manish added.

Lucas smiled at Harry too, and even Gideon Zabini looked impressed. Harry felt a warmth in his chest. Maybe sharing a room with these Slytherins wouldn’t be so bad after all.
To be continued...
Chapter 13 by Handa
“Blimey Harry, why didn’t you tell us?” Ron exclaimed from Harry’s admission, and then received an aggressive glare and ‘shush’ from Madam Pince.

Harry’s Gryffindor friends reacted a tad differently to the news of Harry being able to talk to snakes. They were sat in their usual spot in the library after their last class and Harry had just explained the strange events of that morning. He had started to explain with a smile but that smile slowly dropped as he saw his friend’s reactions.

“What is it?” Harry asked, biting his lip in worry. “The Slytherin’s didn’t say it was a bad thing…”

“Of course they bloody didn’t-“

“Ron.” Hermione interrupted her friend with a shove of her elbow and then turned to Harry, a concerned line forming on her brow. “It’s not a bad thing Harry. At least, I don’t think it is…” She looked away, looking unsure.

Neville had barely looked at Harry since he'd made his admission.

Harry’s heart was beating fast as the silence prevailed in their group, all of them finding the wood grain in the table very interesting as Harry looked to and from each of his friends to figure out what they were thinking.

Ron finally caved. “It’s dark magic, Harry.” He whispered. “They say…you-know-who was a parcelmouth too.”

Harry’s mouth went dry. Suddenly his new excitement for his skill had disappeared. “Oh.”

“Salazar Slytherin too.” Neville added grimly and Harry thought this couldn’t get worse.

He didn’t want any more association with Slytherin, it was enough he had to suffer the company of those in his awful house.

“That doesn’t mean you’re a dark wizard though, Harry.” Hermione reached out and grabbed Harry’s hand which now felt numb. He flinched a little not expecting the touch but didn’t pull away. “I bet lots of amazing wizards have that skill too. They're probably just not as well-known...”

Harry offered her a meek smile.

“Yeah, you’re not like the other Slytherins at all, Harry.” Ron added, as if trying to convince himself too. “You’re a good wizard, everyone can see that.”

Harry looked down at his transfiguration homework that he had been working on, suddenly he didn’t feel very inspired to continue.

“I’ll look up some books on parceltongue and we can find some examples where it’s been used for good!” Hermione decided, her eyes lit up with excitement of the potential of new research.

Harry offered her a small smile. “Thanks, Hermione.” She was a good friend. He still wasn’t sure they would find anything though.

“Let’s keep this between us, yeah?” Ron said, his voice dropped low as he looked cautiously over his shoulder. “I’m not sure how some people in Hogwarts would react to it, outside of Slytherin that is…”

Harry nodded distractedly. He certainly didn’t want to be more associated with dark wizards, and he wanted nothing in common with the murderer who killed his parents.

“I think I’m going to have an early night...” Harry muttered closing his transfiguration book, he couldn’t study when he was so sick to his stomach. Neville still couldn’t look him in the eye.

Ron and Hermione wished him goodnight as he left the library, he just reached the entrance as he realised, he forgot his quill on the desk in his hast to escape. He turned tail to return to his friends to retrieve it.

He turned into the small corner the group of friends all usually populate, and overheard his name and paused, ducking behind a bookshelf.

He knew it was bad to eavesdrop but couldn’t help himself.

“…I was shocked too.” Hermione said, Harry leaned closer. He held his breath.

“I forget he’s a Slytherin sometimes.” Ron added. “He’s so unlike the others, so kind and loyal, he could easily be a Gryffindor.”

Harry smiled softly, a hopeful feeling rising in his chest.

“But, a…parcelmouth? That’s one of the oldest dark arts…” Ron continues and Harry feels his smile drop and a rock settle in his stomach. “He really is a Slytherin after all…”

Harry clenched his fists as he felt tears build up in his eyes. He decided he didn’t need his spare quill anyway and swiftly left the hiding spot and the library. His head was spinning, and he felt lost.

Of course, he knew he would never actually be a Gryffindor. He’d tried to come to terms with it, with being a Slytherin. But hearing his friends call him his house as if it was an insult, it still hurt Harry’s heart in a way he didn’t understand.

Harry’s head was spinning so much he didn’t even realise the group he’d accidently ran in to. Luck wasn’t on his side, as two large forms shoved into him, sending Harry and his books tumbling down onto the floor.

Harry groaned softly from the fall and looked up to grimace as he became face to face with his former dorm-mates. Crabbe and Goyle must’ve been the ones to shove him down, towering over him as Malfoy pushed his way past to sneer at Harry. Harry tried to shuffle back from the boy.

“Look who it is,” Draco spat. He looked positively furious. “Thought you’d be able to tattle to Snape and get away with it Potty?”

Harry felt his heartbeat in his ears thumping loudly. His eyes followed his fellow Slytherin’s carefully watching their next move. Snape said he’d talked to Malfoy and the other boys about the bullying, and with the dorm move and parceltongue revelation he hadn’t had chance to think about how angry they would be at him for telling. Besides, in class the boys has practically pretended he didn't exist. Perhaps he shouldn't have been so naive to think that they would leave him alone.

He gulped, preparing himself. Then tried to push himself up from the floor, only to be shoved back down roughly by Crabbe who pushed down on his shoulder harshly. Harry flinched, there would definitely be a bruise there later.

“Just because you’ve moved dorms doesn’t mean you can escape us, Potter.” Malfoy growled. “It’s all your fault I got in trouble. Snape has given me detention every night for two months. You need to pay."

Harry’s breath became laboured, he felt cornered by the boys. Malfoy towered over him, Crabbe and Goyle on either side of him like guard dogs and he noticed Nott and Zabini there as well, as if they were keeping watch.

Harry looked at his books scattered across the floor and slowly, as if trying not to stir a wild animal, reached for them. He needed to make a quick escape.

Unfortunately, Draco noticed his movements and with a sneer he lifted his black polished boots and stomped harshly on Harry’s movements towards the book.

Harry immediately yelped from pain, trying to release his fingers from Draco’s shoe who only sneered and pressed down harder. Tears began to well in Harry’s eyes.

“You chose the wrong enemy Potter.” He sneered; his face screwed up as he loomed over Harry like a predator to their prey.

“Draco…” Nott called, and Draco’s head turned to meet his gaze, as if someone was coming to catch them. While distracted Harry was able to pull his fingers of his right hand from under his boot and he cradled it to his chest wincing with pain when he tried to wiggle his fingers which had gone red under the pressure.

“What is it?” Malfoy snapped.

“We should go.” Nott continued, casting a quick glance at Zabini too. It was quick but Harry still noticed the strange look between the boys. Nott shrugged, looking at his watch. “Curfew.”

Malfoy narrowed his eyes and Harry thought he was going to argue, but then must have decided against it as he turned back to Harry who was curled against the wall attempting to get away, while cradling his right injured hand to his chest.

“Watch your back, Potty.” Draco jeered, before promptly kicking Harry’s books down the corridor and sweeping away to the Slytherin common room, without a second glance, Crabbe and Goyle following closely behind.

Harry noticed Nott and Zabini lingering and stared back waryily, following their every move. Nott stared at Harry strangely and Zabini looked like he wanted to say something but then closed his mouth and they both walked off, following the directions of the other boys.

Harry let out a shaky breath, his heart beating hard in his chest and fingers throbbing painfully from Draco stomping on them. He was grateful he didn’t share a room with them anymore, but it was a stark reminder that he wasn’t quite safe from them still.

With some difficultly due to his hand, he grabbed his books, and after some time so he hoped he wouldn’t run into the other first years again, he also made his way down the dungeon stairs.

---

“Do you have another prefect meeting?” Harry asked Lucas as he fell into step beside Harry on the way to the Great Hall for breakfast the next morning.

Harry had tried to leave quietly and independently like the previous day, but Lucas yet again woke at the same time, and they ended up heading to breakfast together. Harry had been careful to hide the bruises that had blackened over his hand from the previous evening, pulling his jumper firmly down.

“Nah.” Lucas shrugged. Harry cast him a confused glance as if to ask why he was up so early. “I guess it’s habit, but I can never sleep in.”

Harry wasn’t sure he believed him but let it slide as they continued their journey to the great hall. Upon entering the grand wooden doors, Harry’s eyes immediately found their way at the Gryffindor table but found it empty of his friends.

He felt his shoulders drop a tad in disappointment and he remembered the conversation he’d overheard the previous night. He didn’t know how to feel about it. He hoped nothing had changed in their friendship. He hoped he hadn’t ruined anything. Like he always did.

“Come on,” Harry felt Lucas push his shoulder gently, he hadn’t even realised he’d stopped walking, gazing so solemnly at the Gryffindor table. “Food’s here.”

With another tug of his jumper to cover his right hand, Harry let himself be guided to the Slytherin table, a place that he’d only really known to be a place of ridicule and embarrassment or loneliness and solitude. It felt strange to suddenly have someone in Slytherin who actually wanted to share Harry’s company over a meal.

He slid into the bench beside Lucas and reached for a glass of pumpkin juice as he watched the older prefect grab some toast and begin to spread on some jam.

“So, are you going to go to the hospital wing for those bruises?” Lucas asked and Harry nearly choked on his pumpkin juice.

“What?” Harry spluttered.

Lucas cast him a knowing glance and moved to spread jam on his other piece of toast.

“How did you…?” Harry muttered, fidgeting with the sleeve of his jumper again.

“I saw your hand this morning.” Lucas replied simply. “It’s pretty obvious when you fidget with your jumper like that too.”

Harry stopped, his hands dropping to his lap, as if scalded.

“Madam Pomphrey will be able to heal it for you-” Lucas continued.

“It’s fine.” Harry mumbled, shuffling a tad away from the older prefect as he reached for some fruit. “I can handle it.”

Harry thought Lucas looked frustrated at Harry as his body seemed to tense up and his normal kindly grin had faded into a deep frown. But the boy didn’t say anything more and dropped the subject, something Harry was most grateful for and allowed himself to relax a little.

That was until he noticed Professor Snape enter the Great Hall.

His black eyes scanned the Hall meticulously, until they landed on Harry and they narrowed as if they had found their target. Harry gulped down the piece of dragon fruit he had been nibbling on and sat up straight as the potions master strode towards them.

Harry cast a quick glance at Lucas to see him hardly bothered by the Professor’s quick advancement, pouring himself some tea from the teapot without a care in the world.

Harry gulped, trying to channel some of Lucas’s worryfree nature. And failing.

“Mr Potter. Mr Moore.” Snape nodded, as he arrived in front of the two Slytherin boys, eyes flittering between them as if inspecting every detail. Harry was glad he’d figured out how to tie his tie, feeling Snape's gaze inspecting every aspect of his appearance. He wished he had thought to comb his hair a bit more and self-consciously reached a hand (-his left, uninjured one-) up to attempt to flatten it.

“Professor Snape.” Lucas greeted, respectfully.

Harry tried to find the words to greet his head of house but didn’t have the chance as the professor spoke first.

“Mr Potter, stay behind after today’s potions class.” He said simply, leaving no room for argument.

“Uh, yes sir.” Harry obediently replied, his heart racing as if waiting for the insult.

But it never came and the potions master simply nodded and swept off to the staff table taking a seat beside Professor Flitwick.

Harry stared at him, confused by the Professor, and felt a ball of anxiety form in his stomach, wondering what Snape wanted to talk to him about. Hopefully the Professor wasn't about to change his mind about the dorm switches, Harry wasn't sure he could go back to the first years anymore. A shiver ran down his spine at the thought, his eyes glancing down at his bruised hand with a grimace.

It was a grim reminder of how unwelcome he was in the first year Slytherin dorms. He couldn't go back.
To be continued...
Chapter 14 by Handa
Harry shuffled his feet as he waited on his chair at the end of potions class. Snape had reminded him to stay after class, but little did he know Harry didn’t need a reminder as he’d been worrying about it ever since his head of house told him that morning about the meeting. He worried what it would be about, and he worried which version of Snape he was going to encounter today.

The cruel Snape who had ridiculed Harry since he had been sorted into his house, or the surprisingly fair Snape who had finally seen the bullying and moved him out of the first-year dorms.

As the last student left the room, Harry could hear his heartbeat in his ears as he waited in silence for his professor to speak.

“Come take a seat at the front, Potter.” Snape drawled from his desk and Harry jumped up to follow his instruction quickly. “I do not wish to shout across the classroom like an unruly Gryffindor.”

Harry shuffled over and lowered himself on a seat near the Professor’s desk, perching on the edge. Snape’s eyes cast down to his hands fidgeting and Harry pulled his robes down self-consciously over the bruises Draco had given him the previous day. If Snape noticed them, he didn’t comment on it.

“Sir, did I do something wrong?” Harry finally asked hesitantly, biting down on his lip. He couldn’t handle the anticipation anymore.

Snape rolled his eyes. “Your essay on the properties of moondew was mediocre at best, but despite that, no Potter, I have not asked you here in order to berate you.” Snape sighed, putting his quill down to cast a stern look at Harry. “Unless you have something you’d like to confess?”

Harry shook his head quickly. “No Sir.” Snape hummed, his gaze still heavy on Harry.

“As your head of house, and after the recent events at Halloween, I merely wanted to enquire as to how you have found your new living arrangements.”

Harry was almost too stunned to respond. Snape? Caring about his wellbeing? It was almost unbelievable.

“Uh, it’s good.” Harry stuttered after Snape began to look impatient from lack of response.

“Good?” Snape repeated.

“That is- it’s much better than before. Sir.” Harry stumbled over his words.

“I trust you’ve had no further issues with Mr Malfoy then. Or your other previous dormmates?” Snape scrutinised.

Harry hesitated, his hand still twinging slighting from when Draco had stomped on it. Was there any use bringing it up? Exposing himself as weak to his head of house? He could practically hear Snape mocking him, saying he was playing the victim.

It was no use saying anything, he could handle it. And what would Snape do anyway?

“No sir.” He shook his head.

Snape paused and Harry squirmed slightly under his gaze. He wondered if Snape could see through his lie, he often thought the man could read minds.

“And you know that if they were to cause trouble for you again, you are to come straight to me. Is that clear?”

Harry gulped. The words Snape said sounded protective, but his tone made Harry think he was still angry. As if he’d be angry at Harry for provoking the boys if Harry ever came to him for help.

“Yes sir.” Harry replied dutifully.

“And your new dormmates, have they been agreeable?”

“Um, yes sir.” Harry replied truthfully. He’d had no problems with the fourth years, apart from a little intimidation from Blaise’s older brother Gideon at the start, but Lucas seemed to even enjoy Harry’s company, which was a first for Harry in Slytherin.

“I noticed you sat with Mr Moore this morning.” Snape mused, sitting back in his chair but continuing to study Harry. Harry nodded in response. “Perhaps you’d consider to continue sitting at the Slytherin table now, with your new dormmates.”

“You-you said I was allowed to sit at Gryffindor!” Harry accused. He loved sitting with his friends, he loved pretending he was a Gryffindor even just for meals. He loved pretending he belonged among them.

“You misunderstand me, Mr Potter.” Snape replied firmly. “I did indeed promise you could sit with your precious Gryffindor fan club if you please and I never break my promises.”

Harry looked blankly back at his professor, confused what he was getting at.

Snape heaved a sigh. “It was merely a suggestion. Perhaps every now and then you could socialise with your own house, especially now you have your new dormmates to accompany you.”

Harry remained silent. He liked the fourth years, but they intimidated him, and they were much older. He wasn’t sure how they’d react if he suddenly began hanging out with them. They wouldn’t want a first year, no less Harry Potter following them around.

“You still do not see yourself as a Slytherin, do you Mr Potter?” Snape asked, when Harry gave no response.

Harry shrugged uncomfortably. “You said if I moved dorms, I could sit with my friends.”

“And you may.” Snape sounded exasperated. “It was a suggestion, not an instruction. Learn the difference.” He snapped.

Harry stayed quiet at the harsh tone and fidgeted with his sleeve again, feeling uncomfortable. It felt as if the Professor was angry with him.

“Spending some time with those in your own house may help you embrace it.” Snape said in a calmer voice after a pause. “Alas the choice is yours but all I ask is that you think about it.”

“Yes sir.” Harry mumbled. He didn’t see why Snape could care less if Harry embraced his house or not. Why did he care about Harry at all? He had no trouble ignoring his existence before Halloween, why all the fuss now? It was a little unnerving.

“I’m sure you have plenty of homework to get started on, so you are dismissed to the common room.” Snape waved his hand in dismissal, Harry let out a breath he didn’t realise he was holding.

“Yes sir.” Harry scrambled to pick up his bag and leave the potions classroom. In his haste, a few belongings fell out his bag, one of his books slid along the potions floor towards Professor Snape.

He reached down quickly to pick them up, he turned to reach of the book that slid away and gulped as he saw his professor reach for it first. From the snake illustration curling along the back and spine, Harry knew exactly which book had fallen from his grasp.

Snape inspected the cover as he slowly stood from his chair. He was more intimidating when he could tower over Harry. A note of surprise passed over the potion master’s face. “’The Peculiar Powers Presented Proceeding the Pursuit and Practise of Parceltongue.’” Snape recited from the cover.

It was a book Harry and Hermione found in the library during lunch. Although she had reservations from Ron and Neville’s comments, Hermione was still keen to help Harry research the newfound skill he had. Harry was grateful for the help, but now he felt his cheeks burn in embarrassment as his professor inspected it.

Harry reached for his book, but Snape moved so it was out of reach. The swift ease of which he held it from Harry made his heart accelerate with unease.

“A rather bizarre book to choose for casual reading, Mr Potter.” Snape drawled; he flicked lazily through the pages. “Care to explain?”

Harry nervously thought up an excuse as to why he owned it. Ron had said not to tell anyone else about his ability and that people wouldn’t respond well. But the Slytherin boys hadn’t thought that way, so perhaps it was safe to tell Snape, as head of Slytherin. But was it safe to tell Snape anything?

“I just wanted to learn more about it, is all.” Harry shrugged.

Don’t to lie to me- “

“I’m not lying!” Harry exclaimed, feeling a random burst of boldness. “I do want to learn more about it. It’s because… well, I just found out that…um…I am one.”

His confession blurted out before he even realised, and he felt redness pour in his cheeks as Snape looked at him incredulously. Harry took a step back, mistaking Snape’s shock for anger.

“You’re a …parcelmouth?” Snape asked slowly, as if unsure he’d heard correctly.

“Well- I didn’t realise it was a thing until I was talking to Zach’s snake- Rocko – and everyone thought I was crazy! I thought all wizards could do it.” Harry nervously rambled on. “I mean, it only happened once before at the zoo, but all sorts of freaky things happened to me before Hogwarts and…“ Harry trailed off his nervous speech as he felt the stare of his potions master on him. He snuck a glance to see an unusual expression on his face.

“It is an incredibly rare gift, Mr Potter,” Snape uttered finally. “An extremely special gift too.”

“Lucas said that,” Harry said, a warm feeling expanding in his chest at the kind words. “But - Ron said- he said not to tell anyone. That-that it was dark...” Harry’s smile dropped and his voice trailed off at the end, his face feeling hot again in embarrassment.

He didn’t know why he was suddenly sharing this with Professor Snape of all people. He waited for the insult or snap that he didn’t care what his silly friends thought. To Harry’s surprise, it doesn’t come.

“All magic has the potential to be dark, Mr Potter,” Snape replied instead. “It is the intention of the witch or wizard that determines the nature of the magic itself.”

Harry didn’t quite understand but he nodded anyway. He reached up to take his book back from his professor who let him grab hold but gripped his hard so Harry couldn’t remove it, and was forced to look at his professor instead, as they both held onto the book.

“You know, Salazar Slytherin himself was a Parcelmouth.” Snape mused; Harry felt small as he was forced to stare back at his professor’s stern gaze. “If that is not proof you truly belong in Slytherin, then I do not know what is.”

Snape let go of the book and it fell gently into Harry’s grasp. He stared at the book, taking in Snape’s words.

Harry noticed Snape walking towards him and took another step back out of habit, but Snape seemed to be handing him his school bag instead, Harry took his satchel and put his parceltongue book safely back inside.

“You’re dismissed, Potter,” Snape said simply, returning to his desk and pulling out a stack of essays as if he had not been so gentle to him only seconds before.

Harry nodded; he didn’t need to be told twice. “Yes sir.”

He made his way back to the common room and into the fourth-year dorms. It was empty, the other boys must be out studying or socialising in the common room. Harry didn’t complain, he liked the silence and his own company.

He sat on his bed and pulled out his Parceltongue book again, Snape’s words echoing in his head. Was belonging in Slytherin house so bad? Lucas and the other boys hadn’t been the worst and Snape had been kinder lately. He just wasn’t sure he could trust it just yet though.

A glimmer of metal in his bag caught his eye as he flicked through his book, he grabbed his bag and pulled out a small round tin. He stared at it curiously, he didn’t remember seeing it before, where had it come from? Had Snape slipped it in his bag earlier without him noticing?

He turned the tin over in his hands and looked for a label.

Bruise balm remedy
Harry squinted to read the fine print beneath.

~Brewed and bottled by Professor S. Snape.

---

The November wind was cold and biting as Harry made his way back up to Hogwarts from Hagrid’s hut. Just minutes before, Harry was cosied by the fire in Hagrid’s hut, Fang curled up by his side and a mug of tea in his hands. Now, with only his robes for warmth, shivers shook his small body.

Most other students had winter coats and school hats and scarves, but Harry hadn’t thought to buy any winter things at Diagon Alley, so was stuck with only his robes. Ron had offered to give him one of his scarves, but Harry thought Snape might have a fit if he saw Harry sporting Gryffindor colours now as well as sitting at their table.

“Hey! Firstie!” Harry heard the familiar voice of his dormmate, Zach, calling him and turned around. He was accompanied by his other dormmate Manish, they both had their brooms with them and were heading to the quidditch field. “Over here!”

“Erm, hi,” Harry said, his teeth chattering as the boys approached him.

“You play quidditch?” Zach asked, with a grin.

Harry felt like laughing but instead just shook his head. The last time he had got on a broom it had ended very badly and resulted in lots of detentions. He wasn’t too keen to get back on one so soon, although he remembered the freeing feeling he felt when in the air and felt slightly giddy at the thought.

“You wanna learn?” Manish grinned, his breath could be seen in the cold air.

Harry shrugged. He did want to learn. But he was frozen to the bone, his muscles tense from the cold air surrounding him.

“Here, catch.” A coat was thrown his way and he caught it quickly out of surprise. Harry looked to see Lucas and Gideon, his other dormmates had joined them, with some other older Slytherins Harry didn’t know the names of. It made Harry feel small, but Lucas cast Harry a small encouraging smile, and gestured for him to put the coat on. Harry relished the soft, cosy fabric.

“Good reflexes, firstie,” Zach called, as Harry pulled on the coat. “You’d make a good seeker.”

“You know the rules?” Manish asked him, it felt more intimidating now they had an audience watching. It was too late to back out now, he didn’t want to get on the bad side of any other Slytherins or show he was weak.

“Um, not really,” Harry replied honestly. Their flying lesson had been interrupted and Ron had tried to explain a couple of times, but Harry always forgot to pay attention.

The other Slytherins began to play a game, Manish staying on the ground with Harry, pointing and explaining the rules. It seemed easier to understand when he could see them all playing, but still a little confusing. He didn’t really like the look of the bludgers, that’s for sure.

Harry was happy to stay on the ground and watch the game, he understood why Ron gushed about it so much now. But before he knew it, Manish was handing him a broom and gave him a shove to the pitch once the first game was over and told him he would play seeker, and search for the small, golden ball. Manish joined as a keeper.

Lucas was the seeker for the other team and gave Harry a wink as they flew into the sky on the whistle. The familiar rush in Harry’s ears was exhilarating. He was intimidated to be the youngest and newest player, but it also gave him a sense of being a part of something exciting. He didn’t win the first game; he was too distracted by the game to realise Lucas had ducked for the golden snitch before he was too late.

He worried his team would be disappointed in him, but they laughed and suddenly the game was beginning again, Harry was more alert this time and noticed the snitch quickly and angled his broom, then darted for it.

The wind rushed past his ears, and he grinned widely as his fingers clasped round the small golden ball and he heard cheers from his team as he dropped to the ground. Zach thumped him hard on the back and congratulated him, he almost stumbled from the impact but was grinning, nonetheless.

“You were brilliant.” Manish praised, a proud glint in his eye.

“Not bad for a beginner.” Lucas teased; Harry grinned back. His heart felt full, he felt proud, like he’d proven himself. “Don’t you agree, Flint?”

Harry saw one of the scarier older Slytherins look up at Lucas’ comment, he guessed this was Flint. He was playing the position he thought Manish labelled as a chaser.

“This is Marcus Flint,” Lucas introduced, pulling Harry forward towards Flint. “He’s the captain of the Slytherin quidditch team.”

“Yeah, you could give some of our players a run for their money, Potter. You should come to our practice sometime.” Flint shrugged, gulping some water from his bottle.

“As if a firstie would ever get on the house team?” Someone scoffed from behind them. Harry didn’t see who.

“It’s his second ever ride on a broom and he still flew better than you, Snyde.” Zach snapped back at the other Slytherin.

Harry felt his cheeks tinge at the praise and attention. Or maybe it was the cold.

Harry felt unexpectedly a part of the group as they made their way back to the common room, cheeks tinged pink from the cold. Harry noticed Draco and the other first-year boys sat in one of the corners and Draco cast him a dirty look, making Harry look away. He also noticed Snape lurking in the common room, talking with a seventh-year and handing him some books.

Zach flung an arm around his shoulder as they made their way through the common room. Harry jumped slightly, not expecting the contact but didn’t move away.

“We do those casual quidditch games every Thursday evening, but proper practice is on Saturdays.” He explained. “You’re joining us every Thursday from now on though, right firstie?”

“Uh, sure,” Harry said. His chest felt tight, and he tried to contain himself from jumping up and down from joy.

“Cool!” Zach left Harry as someone across the common room called his name, leaving Harry standing by himself, Lucas’s oversized coat still draping over his shoulders, and his cheeks flushed from the cold air outside.

“Potter.” Snape's voice sounded and Harry looked up to see his head of house beckoning him.

Harry shuffled over quickly, wondering if Snape was going to tell him off for playing quidditch with the older boys, or for wearing a coat inside or something else.

Instead, he lifted his hands expectantly as if Harry had something of his.

Harry stared back confused.

“Your hands,” Snape responded simply.

Harry felt his heart drop and he lifted his hands slowly, they were still covered by the coat Lucas gave him.

Snape snatched them quickly although not roughly and inspected them closely. Particular attention on his right where Draco had caused it to bruise days before.

The bruises had faded a lot since he had used the bruise balm he found in his bag. Or rather that Snape had seemingly snuck in his bag. They were hardly noticeable unless you were looking for them. Which Snape seemed to be.

“You’ve been using the bruise balm,” Snape said simply, still inspecting Harry’s hands in his.

“Yes- yes sir.” Harry stumbled at the confirmation that Snape had been the one to give Harry the balm, which meant he had noticed the bruises in their meeting. Was Snape going to be mad that he hadn’t told him about the injury when he met with him earlier in the week? “Th-thank you, sir.”

Snape hummed and dropped Harry’s hands but kept his gaze firmly on the boy. “Would you like to indulge where you acquired the bruises from?”

Harry bit his lip hard. He didn’t want to tell, but his eyes involuntarily cast over to where Draco sat chatting to the other Slytherin first years in a corner of the common room. Snape followed his gaze and his face hardened.

“And what part of you telling me immediately if you are to have any trouble, do you not understand.” Snape snapped harshly and Harry flinched slightly.

Harry cast his eyes down in shame.

Any trouble, Mr Potter. Is. That. Clear?”

“Yes sir,” Harry mumbled, he snuck a glance to see Snape no longer looking at him but staring with furious eyes at Draco and the other boys, who seemed to have paled at the look from their Head of House.

“Do not make me remind you of this again.” Snape hissed and before Harry could respond he had swept away from the boy.

With a call from Lucas to follow them, Harry began to retreat to his dorm room, following the other fourth years. But he cast his eyes back quickly to glance at Snape storming towards the other first-year boys.

He did not look happy. Harry almost felt bad for them. Almost.
To be continued...
Chapter 15 by Handa
“Good luck today, Harry,” Hermione said, smiling at Harry over the breakfast table. It was the day of the Gryffindor versus Slytherin quidditch House Cup match.

Harry had began joining the older Slytherin boys every week for their casual quidditch matches and Flint had been so impressed with Harry’s flying that he had decided Harry would be a stand-in for the next game, meaning if any player was injured Harry would step in.

Harry was stunned when Flint offered him the role, but Lucas (who played keeper) clapped him on the back and accepted on Harry’s behalf before he had a chance to speak.

His heart felt so full as they divided into teams again and began another practice game. As soon as the wind was rushing in his ears again, he was grateful Lucas had said yes to Flint’s offer.

Although Harry expected the Gryffindor's to be outraged a first year had made it on the team, Ron seemed to be delighted for him, and even Neville seemed to have forgotten the Parcel tongue fact about Harry and sprung back to normal as they talked about quidditch manoeuvres and tactics.

“I probably won’t even be on the pitch.” Harry shrugged, snapping out of his memory. He tried to convince himself he had no reason to be nervous.

“I wish you were the seeker for Gryffindor,” Ron mused. “Ours is Stacy Conrad, a sixth year, but everyone knows she’s a much better as a chaser…”

Harry began to say that wished he was on the Gryffindor team too but found that he couldn’t get the words out. Training with the Slytherins had been strange at first but then he had begun to look forward to each practice and the feeling he felt while being a part of their team. He had grown used to their company; he even began to enjoy being called ‘Firstie’.

It was the first time Harry had hesitated to yearn to be in Gryffindor. It felt strange, as if he was betraying his friends by enjoying time in Slytherin.

“Would you be mad at me if I said I’m hoping Gryffindor will win?” Ron asked hesitantly after Harry’s lack of response.

Harry smiled softly at his friend. “Of course not. I’d be a bit worried about you, if Ron Weasley started cheering for Slytherin.” He teased.

“We’d have to send him to St Mungo’s.” Harry turned to see Ron’s brothers Fred and George heading their way, beaters bats in hand.

“Hiya Harry,” Fred said before ruffling Ron’s hair, which resulted in an annoyed grunt from the younger Weasley.

“Nice uniform,” George chimed. At least Harry thought it was George.

“Erm. Thanks.” Harry replied.

“We’ll see you out there.” Fred grinned widely. “If you’re on the pitch, we’ll try not to send too many bludgers your way.”

“Not making any promises though.” George winked and without another word they left the small group of friends.

Harry gulped and gnawed on his bottom lip, picturing a bludger knocking him off his broom.

“Don’t worry about them,” Ron said, nudging Harry’s side gently. “They’re all talk. They’re mega competitive but they’d never hurt anyone on purpose.”

Harry nodded slowly but he wasn’t quite convinced.

He noticed the other quidditch players, clothed in red, following Fred and George out of The Great Hall. Then he noticed some members of his own team all in green uniform matching his own, waving him over. Lucas (who played Chaser) and Zach (who played Beater) were among them.

“I better get going.” Harry said, taking one last sip of his pumpkin juice.

His friends wished him a final good luck and he went to join his teammates. Flint called them to go get warmed up outside.

Lucas fell into step beside him on their way to the grounds. “Why do you always sit with them?” He asked Harry suddenly.

Harry shrugged. He was getting bored of this question, his similar discussion with Snape crossing his mind.

“They’re my friends.” He replied simply.

“But they’re Gryffindors.” Zach said with a shudder, appearing on his other side, beater bat in hand.

“I know. They’re still my friends.” Harry repeated sullenly, shuffling his feet along the floor.

“I know the other firsties were jerks to you, but you could always sit with us you know?” Lucas said casually.

“You …wouldn’t mind?” Harry asked, unconvinced. Why would they want to sit with Harry, a first year? Aren’t they already embarrassed to have him in their dorm?

“Anything is better than seeing you sat with Gryffindors.” Zach laughed loudly. “You do know they’re our rivals, right?”

Harry’s heart fell, of course that was why they were offering.

“Of course, we wouldn’t mind.” Lucas says ignores Zach’s comment. Zach’s name was called by another teammate until it was just Harry and Lucas trailing behind. “We’re mates now.” Lucas stated, matter-of-factly.

Harry couldn’t help but stare at the older Gryffindor in shock. It seemed too good to be true, had Lucas just called them…mates? His head spun with the thought, but he felt his heart fall again, as a possibility crossed his mind.

“Did …Snape put you up to this?” Harry asked hesitantly, dreading the answer, but he needed to know.

Lucas snorted loudly in response. “Of course not.” Harry didn’t laugh so Lucas grew serious, he grabbed Harry’s arm softly before continuing. “Harry, we wouldn’t invite you to our practises if we didn’t want you around. You know that, right?” He assures. “You don’t see that little snot Malfoy at our Thursday night practises, do you? Or on the house team?”

Harry couldn’t help a small grin appearing on his face. “I guess not.” He shrugged.

“Sit wherever you want, but just wanted you to know you’re welcome to sit with us too.” Lucas said, his words firm and certain.

“Thanks.” Harry wasn’t sure he could say much more, embarrassingly he felt his throat was a little tight with emotion. Luckily Lucas didn’t mind the short answer and smiled softly before they followed the other Slytherins out into the field for the warm-up.

---

“The Quaffle has been taken by the Slytherin’s – looks like Chaser Lucas Moore is speeding towards the goal posts, but he’s blocked by a bludger – sent his way by Fred or George Weasley, can’t tell which- nice play by the Gryffindor beater, anyway, and Johnson is back in possession of the quaffle, a clear field ahead …”

It’s hard not to feel the excitement running through your veins as you watch the Quidditch House Cup match. The cheering in the crowds, the loud commentary by a Gryffindor called Lee Jordan, all eyes were on the players speeding around the pitch above them. He was sat by the side-lines of the pitch along with a few other stand-in players, and nearby to Madam Pomphrey - the medi-witch - who would be there in case anyone became injured.

Harry noticed Professor Snape in the teacher's stands, his face gave nothing away as usual but Harry had heard from the other Slytherin's that all the house leaders took the House Cup very seriously, and Snape was highly competitive. He sat among the other teachers, including Professor McGonagall, Professor Dumbledore, Professor Quirrell and even Hagrid had made an appearance.

Both teams had scored only once each so far, it was a tense match. Harry hadn’t noticed the golden snitch yet, but he was sure it would probably be easier to spot if he were in the air.

It seemed much more intense than when Harry had taken part in their practise games and in the casual games on a Thursday evening. Maybe it was the house rivalry that made Gryffindor and Slytherin games particularly competitive. Or maybe these house games were always intense, Harry didn’t know.

“Angelina Johnson is speeding towards the goal posts- come on, Angelina – she dodges a bludger – Slytherin keeper Snyde dives and – he intercepts! Slytherin have the quaffle again! But wait- is that the golden snitch? -”

Harry had also noticed the flash of gold towards the right of the pitch but with Lee Jordan’s commentary both seekers had sped quickly to catch it. Harry watched Slytherin seeker Terrance Higgs reach at the same time as Gryffindor seeker Stacy Conrad, it was neck and neck.

The snitch rose and fell as both players chased it round the pitch, all eyes on them. It began to suddenly dive, and Harry held his breath as he watched both players hurtle towards the ground at a scarily fast pace. Stacy conrad then suddenly pulled her broom up, panicked as if she had just noticed the ground getting closer and closer.

Unfortunately, the Slytherin Seeker Terrance Higgs wasn’t so lucky. While the snitch easily recovered from the fast speeds to the ground and then vanished, Higgs went hurtling into the ground, his broom snapped and Higg’s body flipped, and he landed on the ground with an audible thump.

Madam Hooch sounded her whistle to pause the game, as the crowd murmured loudly, Harry also noticed Snape step down from the stands and made his way to Higg’s who was groaning loudly in pain.

Harry’s heart was racing as he watched Snape levitate Higgs to the side-lines. Despite not knowing the boy except seeing him in practises, he was scared for the older boy and hoped he was okay.

Harry didn’t have much time to worry though, as Higgs’ broom was suddenly shoved in his hand roughly and he looked up to see Flint, the Slytherin captain.

“You’re up, firstie. Just catch the snitch, okay?” He said and then gave him a firm shove forward.

Harry panicked; he didn’t think he’d have to be on the field today! He pictured Higgs curled in pain on his side, and he was an experienced player- how was Harry supposed to survive this game? Hadn’t Ron mentioned people had died in quidditch before? Why did he ever agree to this? Why did anyone think he could do this?

“Try not to topple off your broom, Potty!” Harry heard Draco call, he only knew it was him by his distinct voice, his vision had gone blurry. His heart started pounding so loud he could hear the blood rush in his ears. The crowd was shouting loudly, and his palms were clammy as the gripped the broom Flint had given him.

“Potter.”

Harry pushed through the fog of panic that had clouded his mind to realise it was his head of house standing in front of him. How had he got to Harry’s side so fast? Harry blinked, checking his mind wasn’t tricks on him.

“Sir- “Harry stuttered but he hadn’t realised his breathing became laboured. Why did he ever think he would be brave enough? He was kidding himself into having the bravery of a Gryffindor.

“Breathe.” A hand landed heavily on his shoulder; Harry flinched slightly before realising it wasn’t hurting him. Instead, it felt comforting to have that reassuring touch that this was real, and the fog began to clear around him.

Snape had bent his knees slightly and was staring at Harry intently, his hand steadily on his shoulder, grounding Harry’s anxiety until he could take some shaky breaths.

Snape raised his eyebrows slightly at Harry, in a way to ask if Harry was okay. After a second, Harry hesitantly nodded. It was such a subtle exchange, but it made Harry feel like he could breathe again, like there was someone watching out for him.

It was an unfamiliar feeling, but a welcome one.

“Good luck, Harry.” Snape murmured and soon Harry was guided onto the pitch by Flint and a whistle was ringing in Harry’s ears as the crowd roared once more. Flint rushed into the sky and Harry hooked his leg over his broom before following his captain into the sky.

He didn’t even have chance to realise his Head of House had called him Harry and not Potter.

“And we’re back! It’s still neck and neck! After Higg’s has been sent to the hospital wing after a rather spectacular summersault into the ground, Slytherin has a new seeker – first year Harry Potter! Interesting play by Flint to put a first year on the pitch, will it pay off, I wonder? - ” Lee Jordan’s commentary continued. The crowd looked so small from this high in the air, Harry grinned, his nerves melting away as he concentrated on the game he was now a part of.

“- Speaking of the Slytherin captain, he’s got the quaffle! But Katie Bell is following close behind – a bludger heads their way – Flint dodges it – but he drops the quaffle! Johnson grabs it, and is flying towards the goal posts – she’s a brilliant flyer – great form – wait, what is the Slytherin seeker doing? - ”

Just as Harry had began to relax into the match and while Lee Jordan’s commentary rang throughout the pitch, Harry’s broom had begun to buck and shake. It was tossing him left, right and centre, as if trying to throw him off!

Harry gripped it hard, but the broom seemed to have become possessed, as it continued to throw him around viscously. He yelped in panic, they were so high in the air that if Harry fell now, he’d be in worse shape than Higgs.

Harry’s strength was getting weaker – his hands were slipping – and one particularly harsh buck of his broom sent his body falling off the side – leaving him dangling in the air.

The crowd was shouting but as suddenly as it began – it ended. And Harry’s broom stilled, and he was able to heave himself back on his broom.

He saw Lucas staring his way, a concerned expression on his face from the opposite side of the pitch. Harry sent a shaky smile back, attempting to show he was ok, but he though it was just as much to convince himself.

He looked down at the crowd, but he couldn’t see any familiar faces from so far away, he didn’t know what just happened with his broom but a glint of gold didn’t give him chance to worry as he darted his broom towards the snitch before the Gryffindor seeker noticed.

“Looks like Potter recovers just as Gryffindor gains control of the quaffle again – but what’s he doing now – oh, he’s spotted the golden snitch!” Lee Jordan shouts.

Air rushes past Harry’s ears as he dives for the snitch, he had done this so many times at practices- this was no different, right?

He forgot about the crowd, about Lee Jordan’s commentary, about his strange broom’s activity, and focused all his energy on the small, winged ball. He also forgot about the Gryffindor seeker who had suddenly appeared beside him, they were now close to the ground and she dove for the snitch. But Harry was faster, he leaned forward and his hand curled quickly around the golden ball before he promptly fell off his broom and landing softly on the ground. He couldn’t help but let out a loud laugh as he held the snitch up to show the crowd and it responded by erupting into cheers.

Madam Hooch blew her whistle “Slytherin wins!”

The other Slytherin players landed at Harry’s side, grins lining their face as they cheered in glee. Lucas and Zach come to his side to help him up which Harry gratefully accepted, but before he knew it- he was lifted into the air onto their shoulders, as everyone chanted and cheered.

“You did it, firstie!” Lucas cheered.

Harry couldn’t explain the joy he felt in that moment. He felt proud of himself, excited to win but most of all he felt an overwhelming feeling of being a part of something – being a part of a team. It was a high Harry never wanted to come down from.

He looked around to see the Slytherins all cheering, some had come down from the stands to celebrate and congratulate the team. Then he caught the gaze of familiar black eyes – his head of house. Was that pride in his eyes?

He smiled hesitantly at his potions master, and he thought he saw Snape smile back, only for a second. But maybe he had imagined it. That seemed most likely - it definitely didn’t seem like a very ‘Snape’ thing to do.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Sorry not much Snape in this chapter, I struggled writing the quidditch game so I hope I did it justice :)
Chapter 16 by Handa
It was early morning on the 1st of December and Harry hopped from foot to foot in the Slytherin common room, fiddling nervously with his robe sleeves, as he waited.

“Ssssssstop that” The huge stone snake that hung above the fireplace hissed at Harry. “I’m trying to sssssleep”

Harry jumped, forgetting the stone snake, who had introduced himself as Solas, sometimes spoke to him now, since finding out there was a parcel mouth in its house once again. He wasn’t particularly chatty but seemed to enjoy being able to communicate with a student and he definitely didn’t hesitate to tell Harry what to do. Harry guessed he understandably didn’t have much patience after being hung in the Slytherin common room for hundreds of years.

“Sssssorry Solas.” he hissed back, using his parcel tongue ability. Solas let out what Harry only guessed as his version of a scoff and he lowered his stone head and closed his eyes.

He’d read that book Hermione found him and although he still felt a little reserved about his newfound ability, after Snape’s words he’d decided there wasn’t anything wrong about parcel tongue itself, but he just had to be cautious about the way he used it. He tended to only chat to Zach’s snake, Rocko and now Solas, and he only spoke in front of Slytherins. He never would speak it in front of the Gryffindors, he didn’t want to chance ruining those friendships.

Those friendships were precious to Harry, they were the only ones there for him when he first started at Hogwarts, his first ever friends. Just because he now had the fourth years looking out for him, and the Slytherin quidditch team didn’t mean he cherished his Gryffindor friendships any less.

He even began spending a few mealtimes with the Slytherins, after Lucas’s request, but didn’t miss the glares from Draco and the other first years. It seemed like Draco, although had heeded Snape’s warning, still hated Harry’s guts.

Harry looked at the clock, it read two minutes to five am, Snape should be here soon, Harry never knew the man not to be punctual.

“You sssshould be assssleep too, young one.” Solas hissed again, one of his old stone carved eyelids opened as he flicked his tongue out in, what Harry guessed was, annoyance.

“I couldn’t ssssleep. And I’m waiting for Sssssnape.” Harry replied, shrugging, hopping from foot to foot again nervously.

“I sssaid to ssstop that.” The grumpy snake hissed in response. Another apology was on Harry’s lips until he heard the familiar fast and purposeful steps of his head of house and potion’s teacher.

Right on time, Snape rounded the corner, holding the very parchment Harry was waiting for, and his eyebrows rose when he noticed Harry waiting by the notice board.

“Potter.” He nodded, but his eyes narrowed. “You should be asleep.”

Harry heard Solas let out a hiss, in what Harry assumed was meant to say ‘I told you so’. Harry glanced quickly at the snake before looking back at his professor.

“Yes sir, but I was waiting for …. the Christmas sign-up list...” Harry said his voice trailing off to the end. “Lucas said you always post it up on the first of December…”

“Indeed. While Mr Moore is correct, I am posting the list today.” Snape drawled, his hands tapping his parchment. “You do realise the list stays up until the end of term, Potter. It is not a race. You should be in bed until breakfast like the rest of the school.”

“Yes sir…” Harry’s eyes glued themselves to the papers he knew contained the sign-up sheet to stay at Hogwarts for the holidays. “I only wished to make sure I definitely make it on the list.”

Snape rolled his eyes and walked past Harry to the notice board where he pinned up a few sheets of parchment, detailing a notice about library book loans overdue, the quidditch practise times this week, and then finally the one Harry had been waiting for: The sign-up sheet to stay at Hogwarts over the Christmas holidays.

Harry hurriedly fished the self-inking quill he’d brought with him out his pocket and once Snape moved, he reached up to neatly write his full name on the first line. Harry Potter

Once finished he stared at it, feeling much more relieved than before. He didn’t have to go back to them. Not yet. It felt like a huge weight off his shoulders.

“Not eager to get back to your adoring family then, Potter?” Snape drawled, Harry jumped, he’d almost forgotten he was there. He turned around to see his potion’s teacher still looming behind him, looking at him with an unreadable expression, his arms crossed across his chest.

“Um no, I’d like to stay at Hogwarts this year.” Harry stuttered.

“And they aren’t going to …miss you terribly in this festive period?” Snape’s eyes narrowed, as if this question was one of his potion’s tests.

Harry stayed silent and bit his lip instead, looking away. He always felt like Snape could read his mind, it put him on edge around the Professor. Snape's eyes softened sightly.

“You are aware that all students have the option to stay at Hogwarts over Christmas, if they wish.” Snape said. “There is no... limited capacity for the holidays.”

“I only wanted to be sure…Sir.” Harry mumbled.

“You’ll always have a safe place at Hogwarts, Harry.” Snape said, Harry’s breath hitched when he said his first name. “Do well to remember that.”

“Yes sir.” Harry whispered; his voice seemingly disappeared as he stared at his head of house. It was odd that this was the same Professor who was so cruel to him at the start of term, yet recently, it felt like his professor was almost looking out for him. And it felt nice.

“Get back to your dorm, Potter.” Snape eventually drawled, shaking his head a little. “Breakfast doesn’t start for another hour.” He was still staring at Harry like he was potion’s puzzle to figure out, but his firm head of house voice had returned.

“Yes sir.” Harry scurried away, and left to go back to his dorm, where the other fourth years still slept peacefully.

He sat on his bed and let out a breath he’s been holding and remembered his name neatly written on the first line of the sign-up sheet. He didn’t have to go back yet. The relief was enough to bring a grin to his face.

----

“You sure you don’t want me to ask to stay with you at Hogwarts mate? Or maybe mum will let you come to ours?” Ron asked him once he told his friends about his holiday plans. “No one should spend Christmas alone.”

Harry smiled at his friend across the lunch table. “Thanks Ron, but you should go with your family. Besides, I won’t be alone, Lucas is staying for the holidays too.”

His Gryffindor friends all looked at him like he should be upset to have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas, but he couldn’t be more excited.

For once his Christmas wouldn’t be plagued with watching Dudley open gift after gift and receive nothing himself and slaving over the Christmas lunch just to be told it wasn’t good enough and being locked in his cupboard for the rest of the holiday without any food. And that was if he was lucky, last year Aunt Marge had released her dog Ripper on him, and he had bitten Harry’s leg making it bleed.

“Are you sure… about him, Harry?” Neville asked, hesitantly. “I know he’s been nice to you so far and all, but he’s still a Slytherin.

Harry shrugged uncomfortably and gritted his teeth. “So am I…if you haven’t noticed...” He mumbled.

Ron took a bite out of his chicken leg, splashing some onto Hermione who grimaced. “Yeah, but you hardly count.” He shrugged with a grin.

“What do you mean, I don’t count?” Harry asked slowly.

“You’re an honorary Gryffindor, remember?” Ron laughed in response, and the conversation then turned to their History of Magic exam due that afternoon but Harry continued to think about his words.

Months ago, maybe even weeks ago, being called an honorary Gryffindor would’ve warmed his heart, but now it felt different. Similar to when Ron had proclaimed he wished Harry was the Gryffindor Seeker at the quidditch game.

He felt almost protective of his house now, and it was a strange thought considering it had shown him nothing but cruelty when he started at Hogwarts. But Lucas and the other fourth year Slytherins didn’t deserve to be lumped with someone like Draco, it didn’t make sense.

He shook his head to stop himself overthinking. He had the History of Magic exam to worry about anyway. And then tomorrow most of the students would be going home for the holidays. He focussed on being excited for Christmas, Hagrid had even said he could help decorate the castle.

“Harry?” Hermione asked just as Harry had decided not to give his worries a second thought and they began to walk to their History of Magic exam. “I think Neville is right.”

“What?” Harry asked softly, as they paused, waiting for a moving staircase to stop.

“Be careful over Christmas. With the Slytherins.” She said, casting a nervous look over her shoulder before continuing. “We still don’t know who cursed your broom in the quidditch match.” She explained, her eyes full of concern.

Harry had almost forgot about the strange curse that nearly killed him in his first quidditch match. He’d just been so happy he made the Slytherin team proud.

Harry shrugged uncomfortably as they started walking again. “I’ll be fine. The Slytherins wouldn’t do that, they wanted me to help Slytherin win, remember?”

Harry felt like he was also trying to convince himself just as much as Hermione.

They wouldn’t, would they?

“Maybe not the students…” Hermione mumbled, her voice trailing off. “Look Harry, I saw something at the match.”

“What? About who cursed my broom?” Harry asked, his eyes widening.

“I think I know who it was. To hold a curse like that you must have complete focus and not lose eye contact.” She explained slowly, her eyes watching Harry nervously.

“So? Who do you think it was?” Harry bit his lip, nervously.

“I think it was Professor Snape, Harry.” She said and Harry stopped walking, staring at his first ever friend with shock.

“Snape?” He repeated, dumbfounded.

“I know he’s been a little better to you lately but remember him at the beginning of term? He hated you, Harry.” Hermione stopped too, talking to Harry slowly.

“But…” Harry couldn’t speak as he remembered his recent interactions with the man.

He had finally believed Harry about the bullying, and he had done something about it. That was more than any teacher Harry had had before Hogwarts. And the bruise balm for his hands, and his steady hand on his shoulder before the quidditch match to calm him down. Surely, he wouldn’t have calmed him, only to try and kill him on the pitch? Even their conversation about parcel tongue where he had assured Harry, he wasn’t dark… it didn’t make sense. And even his words on the day he saw Harry with the Christmas list, about how Hogwarts would always be a safe place for him.

Snape wouldn't do that, he thought. Would he?

“I’m sorry Harry.” Hermione said softly. “I know what I saw. But I thought you should know.”

Harry looked away. He was clearly becoming too trusting. Just because someone showed some kindness didn’t mean he should let his guard down.

“I know. Thanks Hermione.” Harry finally replied and they resumed their walk to History of Magic.

He tried to concentrate. He really did, but the new information Hermione had told him burned in his brain throughout the exam as he tried to focus.

This was why he couldn’t let himself be too trusting.

Snape’s newfound concern for him could just be another tactic to break him, if he became too comfortable. He didn’t want to believe Snape had tried to kill him, but since when had his opinion of Snape changed so much? He had gone from a man he feared and who was cruel, to a man who he almost looked up to…

He cursed himself for being so easily led.

No, he couldn’t rely on any adult. It had never worked for him before.
To be continued...
End Notes:
short chapter but hope you enjoy, please leave a review if you did
Chapter 17 by Handa
Christmas day had always been a lonely affair for Severus Snape. He had no family (that he wanted to see), his home was cold and unwelcoming, and he resented the amount of cheer and happiness everyone tried to shove in his face constantly.

He grimaced as he saw Hagrid lift the Christmas tree into the great hall on Christmas Eve as if hearing his thoughts and wanting to taunt him. The tree was even bigger than the half-giant, which was a feat, but Hagrid seemed to lift it with ease, his hearty grin in place as ever.

It was the same every year. He volunteered to stay at Hogwarts with the few students who decided to stay for the holidays as he saw no difference between being at home alone and wallowing in his thoughts. At least this way he could keep an eye on some of the volatile potions he was brewing in his lab.

Students came and went from Hogwarts and Severus stayed every year and observed, but the difference this year was the most confusing student in his house, currently dancing beside Hagrid as if he can’t contain his excitement any other way. Perhaps he can’t, the boy is only young, he supposed.

Harry James Potter. Despite his middle name and facial similarities, Severus was struggling to see any more similarities between the senior and junior Potter. It had taken time, yes, for Severus to spot but now it was as if the little brat was the only thing on his mind.

Perhaps this was James Potter’s spirit still striving to torture Severus even beyond the grave, by sending such a puzzle even esteemed potions master and spy for the light, Severus Snape cannot even solve.

The boy was just that: a perplexing puzzle. Every assumption, every false idea of what the Potter spawn would be was proven to be a deep mistake, again and again. Perhaps the boy getting sorted in his house should have been the wake-up call that he was different to his father. After all, Severus himself detests the idea of being anything like his own father.

To judge someone on parentage seemed grotesquely unfair. Yet that is precisely what he had done.

And for far too long, causing some of the worst bullying Severus had seen at Hogwarts to fly under his nose. It rivals the bullying Severus had received himself, yet bullying inside houses themselves was incredibly rare, especially in the tight loyal bonds of his Slytherins. He had prided himself on such bonds before, what else had been going on right under his nose? Had the struggles of Harry only been the tip of the iceberg of neglect he had ignored in his house?

That was another perplexing thing. When had the boy become Harry ? He had no idea, perhaps he was only trying to distance the boy and his father in his mind, it was easier without the noble Potter name tagged on the end. Or perhaps the young Slytherin boy was someone he saw himself in, someone he wanted to now protect? Be the person he so deeply needed when the Marauders gang was bullying him…?

He shook his head firmly, what a ridiculous notion.

He was simply doing his duty as head of house. It seemed like the boy was happier in his new dorm with the older boys, he had doubted his decision at first, but he also knew it could take more than a stern word with the young Malfoy and his friends to stop their pursuit of bullying. And it was a matter of safety to move Harry- no, Potter to a new place. There he goes again, Potter taking up all notions of his thoughts.

He now watched the boy make his way over the hall to sit beside his Slytherin Prefect Lucas Moore who had also stayed at Hogwarts and the two boys began to set up for a game of wizard’s chess. It was difficult not to worry for the boy, he clearly wouldn’t let on to anyone if he was suffering, evidenced by bruising littering his arms of which Severus had to sneak balm into his bag to get him to accept help. Unfortunately, it was yet another thing Severus could relate to.

And then there was the issue of the boy’s broom in the quidditch match. He’d noticed it behaving strangely and with his heart in his throat he’d tried to counter the magic creating the curse as discreetly as he could, but it was difficult from so far away. He would have interrogated the first-year Slytherin’s if not knowing it was advanced magic to mess with a quidditch broom so far away, ruling them out. That left someone in the audience, an older student or maybe a staff member, and he had his suspicions of who. Dumbledore had unfortunately dismissed his concerns and left Severus to instead watch the young boy closely from a distance, in case anything else happened.

He told himself he’d do this for any student in danger. But even Severus was beginning to doubt himself on that notion.

----

“Merry Christmas, Harry!” Harry stirred to a voice he recognised as Lucas’s. “Wake up! We have presents to open!”

Harry sat up, rubbed his eyes softly and reached for his glasses, his mind thick with sleep. “Presents?” He asks softly.

“Yes, come on!” Lucas pushed Harry’s curtains open and pulled him out of bed to the common room just as Harry placed his glasses on his nose.

The Slytherin common room was always beautiful and elegant, but for Christmas, it was breathtaking. Each pillar in the room was decorated by spiralling greenery and white flowers and a huge Christmas tree stood proudly in the corner of the room. Beneath it, presents with bows and gifts were in abundance, it was like nothing Harry had ever seen. Even Dudley didn’t get so many gifts.

Some Slytherin girls had already woken up, they sat beside the Christmas tree, one of them Harry recognised from the Quidditch practice pulled a thick green sweater out of some brown paper and giggled in delight.

“Come on, firstie.” Harry didn’t realise Lucas was pulling on Harry’s arm and stumbled to follow the older Slytherin, still dazzled by the beauty of the common room.

“Merry Chrissstmasss.” Harry hissed to Solas as they passed, no one deserved to be ignored on Christmas, he knew the feeling too well.

“Ssssilly human tradition.” The stone snake replied, but Harry shrugged thinking perhaps that that was his way of saying thank you.

“Merry Christmas!” The girls chimed and a few other Slytherin boys joined until there was a small group of Slytherin students crowded around the tree. “Here, Harry? This one has your name on it!”

The Slytherin girl who had opened the present before plonked a box on Harry’s lap before he could react and began to distribute some other gifts.

“For me? Are you sure?” He asked, looking down at the gift like it was precious. He checked the label:

To Harry,

Merry Christmas!

From Hagrid


Sure enough, it truly was for him. He carefully opened the gift, treasuring it like he did when Hagrid gave him his first-ever birthday present. It was a small wooden flute, Harry giggled in delight and hugged it to his chest.

And it wasn’t the only gift waiting for Harry beneath the tree. Hermione sent him a soft blue scarf, Neville sent him some Bertie Bot’s every-flavour beans, and Ron sent a chocolate frog and a vibrant red jumper with a big H knitted on the front, which he guessed was courtesy of Mrs Weasley. He put his jumper and scarf on, snuggling into the warm fabric, he stuck out like a sore thumb with such vibrant colours in the Slytherin common room, but Harry couldn’t bring himself to care. His friends had got him presents. It was almost too good to be true.

Harry sat cosy in his new presents while watching Lucas open some of his, his parents had got him a wizarding game called Gobstones, which he said they could play later that day together. Harry’s heart was so full, that he thought it might burst.

“Oh, Harry this came for you too!” Milicent Bulstrode, who had stayed for the holidays too, handed Harry a small, white envelope.

Harry furrowed his eyebrows, confused what it was and who it was from. He turned it over in his hands and opened it and a 50 pence piece tumbled into his palm. His smile dropped, if the muggle paper wasn’t a giveaway, this certainly gave clues as to who it was from. The Dursleys.

It was odd that something so small as a coin could dampen a mood, but Harry couldn’t help but stare at his palm. The Dursleys had never gotten him anything for Christmas before, he never expected they would send anything apart from a thank-you note for not returning for the holidays.

This felt purposeful, as if to say they hadn’t forgotten about him, just didn’t care.

Just as his thoughts began to darken, his felt fingers snatch the coin out of his hands roughly.

He looked up to see Millicent again, holding the 50 pence up to the light with, inspecting it closely. “Hey! Look what Harry’s family sent him!”

The other few Slytherins looked up from their gifts or conversations and were curiously looking at the coin. Harry remembered most of Slytherin came from wizarding families, they probably had never seen muggle money before.

“What is this?” Millicent held it up in the air, her eyebrow arched. “Muggle money?”

Harry grits his teeth, it was embarrassing enough that this is what his relatives sent him, he didn’t want it projected to the whole common room, but it seemed it was too late for that. He tried to get it out of Millicent’s hands, but she tossed it to another Slytherin girl, Harry thought she was called Daphne Greengass, who caught it to inspect it.

She gawked; her eyes full of wonder. “How much is it worth Harry? Thousands of galleons?”

Harry’s cheeks reddened from the attention as he tried to reach for it again, but they held it above his head.

“Can I see!” Someone else chimed.

“I wish my parents would send me that much money.” Someone else added, then the coin was being passed around the room and Harry was running trying to get it back when the door to the common room suddenly opened and all heads turned towards the door. Harry’s eyes widened as Professor Snape entered the room. Harry watched him warily, he wasn’t sure if he trusted the confusing man.

“Merry Christmas sir.” Lucas chimed. Harry admired such courage to be the first to speak as their intimidating professor entered.

“Merry Christmas all of you,” Snape said curtly, nodding at each of his Slytherins, Harry thought his gaze lingered a little longer on Harry than the others but perhaps he imagined it. “I trust you are enjoying your morning?”

Chimes of agreement sounded throughout the room and a little tension lifted as the excitement returned. Harry watched the Professor carefully, he needed to be wary of the man, especially after what Hermione told him before. He watched Snape’s hand carefully as it reached for his wand and pointed it at the group.

Before Harry could blink, the Professor had waved it sharply and Harry flinched, his hands raising above his head, his heart in his throat. Was the Professor trying to hurt him again?

Exclamations of surprise and glee made Harry slowly open his eyes, realising he was also unharmed, he took a deep breath and looked around. Around them, a small gift had floated towards each Slytherin, in emerald green. He looked towards his professor to see him staring straight back, so intense Harry had to duck his head.

“Thank you, sir!” A Slytherin third-year said, a small smile on her face as she unwrapped the small gift.

Harry snuck another glance up to see the Professor nod curtly before muttering “Happy Christmas.”

Harry watched everyone unwrap their green parcels and looked down at his own. He hesitated opening it, what if it was another ploy to hurt Harry?

Instead, he watched Lucas open his to reveal a small notepad, bound in soft, Slytherin-green leather. Lucas grinned, looking at Harry and nodded for him to open his. Harry took a deep breath and tore at the wrapping gently, revealing a matching green notepad. Harry let out a breath of relief. A notebook couldn’t hurt you, right?

“I trust you will all make good use of these when term starts,” Snape spoke again, Harry looked around to see everyone with matching green notepads. There was a chorus of agreement as everyone thanked the Professor for the gifts. Harry couldn’t really bring himself to be thankful, the man had tried to kill him after all. But it was kind to give his Slytherins a gift, he didn’t have to, Harry supposed.

Excited murmurs returned to the common room, Harry ignored them as he inspected the book a little more closely.

“Professor Snape sir, look what Harry’s family gave him for Christmas!” That caught Harry’s attention, and he looked up just in time to see Millicent showing his 50-pence piece to Professor Snape whose eyes narrowed on the silver coin.

Harry jumped to his feet, hurtling over to where Millicent was standing beside Professor Snape. With Snape walking in Harry had hardly remembered the girl still had his measly gift from the Dursleys. Not that he cared if he had the coin or not, it just felt humiliating.

But Harry was too slow, and Millicent dropped the coin into Snape’s waiting hand and inspected it. Harry gulped, watching his professor warily.

“It’s muggle money, it must be worth lots!” Millicent said, innocently. Harry gritted his teeth.

Snape’s eyes narrowed on the coin, a gaze of uncertainty clear on his face. Harry guessed the man must have seen muggle money before, after all the Professor was very intelligent. He waited for the inevitable exposure where Snape would tell everyone how much the coin was really worth, and therefore how little Harry was worth to his family.

“Indeed.” Snape finally spoke before his gaze lifted from the coin to settle on Harry, who squirmed uncomfortably under his heavy gaze. The man then held the coin out to Harry in offering. “Don’t spend it all at once will you, Potter?”

The coin plopped into Harry's outstretched hand as he gaped. Perhaps the Professor hadn’t seen muggle money before either. That was lucky. Harry shoved the coin into his pocket quickly and nodded hastily before scurrying back towards his seat beside Lucas, away from Snape’s intense gaze.

Once back in his seat, he snuck a glance to see Snape once again staring at him, an unreadable expression on his face. He then shook his head and swiftly nodded to the Slytherins.

“I will see you all at the feast later. Behave yourselves until then.” And without another word, he swept out the common room, the Slytherins returning to their happy Christmas cheer and excitement. Harry’s coin felt heavy in his pocket.
To be continued...
Chapter 18 by Handa
The echoes of laughter from the recent Christmas celebrations lingered in the air as Harry Potter trudged through the dimly lit dungeons towards Professor Snape's office.

Christmas day had been perfect, unlike any Christmas Harry had experienced before. The day was full of cheerful atmospheres, crackling fireplaces, decorations, and gifts. Harry could hardly keep the smile off his face as he fell asleep that night. It had dulled slightly this morning as a parchment floated onto his toast: a summons to Snape’s office after breakfast.

The thought of a summons from Snape left him uneasy, especially after the incident with the bewitched broom during the Quidditch match.

A hesitant knock on Snape's door was met with the usual response: a curt "Enter." Harry stepped into the dimly lit office, his eyes meeting the penetrating gaze of his Head of House.

"Potter," Snape drawled, his voice carrying a weight of authority. "Sit."

Harry sat in front of Snape's cluttered desk, his eyes flickering around the room. He noticed the potions master looked a little less stressed than during term time. A flick of his wrist caused the door behind Harry to click closed. Harry gulped; the memories of Hermione’s warning not forgotten.

The atmosphere was tense, filled with the faint scent of potions and the low crackling of the fireplace.

“I trust you have enjoyed the festivities.” Snape began.

Harry nodded; his voice wary. “Yes sir, very much.”

Snape hummed. His expression seemed thoughtful as he gazed upon Harry, as he had been doing a lot lately. “You enjoyed the feast?”

“Yes sir.”

“And in the afternoon, I saw you out on the quidditch pitch with Mr Moore?” Snape asked, his gaze keen. Harry nodded as Snape continued, his heart drumming in his chest. “I must admit I was pleased that your last…incident didn’t deter you from continuing to participate in quidditch.”

Harry, taken aback, hesitated before responding. "Incident, sir? You mean my broom …during the Quidditch match?"

Snape's expression shifted, and he nodded. "Yes, precisely that. I was concerned it might have left a lasting impact on you. I am still trying to investigate what happened…”

A puzzled look crossed Harry's face. "You are? I-I thought...”

Snape raised an eyebrow, his gaze sharp. "Yes?"

Harry’s heart drummed in his chest faster. “It doesn’t matter sir.”

"If you possess any pertinent information, do share.” Snape’s eyes narrowed.

Harry nodded, a hint of uncertainty in his voice as he finally spoke. "Some students were suggesting... Hermione had this theory …that the accident might have been intentional."

Snape's features tightened slightly, but he maintained his composure. "I am under the same impression. It must have been a powerful spell to resist my prevention methods of casting counter-charms.”

Harry tried to mask his shock. “Counter... charm…?”

Snape nodded, unusually patient. “I noticed your broom acting peculiar and was attempting to perform countercharms.”

Harry’s thoughts were racing. Could it be true? Snape wasn’t the one to curse his broom, and instead was trying to save him?

This explanation would explain Hermione’s insistence that Snape hadn’t kept his eyes off Harry during the incident. His thoughts rushed to keep up with this new revelation. The complexities of his attitudes towards his head of house took a new turn, a newfound appreciation began to bloom in his chest.

He wasn’t trying to harm him, he was trying to help him.

“At any rate, I’ve summoned you here for a purpose beyond mere pleasantries," Harry blinked out of his thoughts and watched as Snape reached into a drawer and withdrew a small, carefully wrapped package. “This is a gift from the headmaster.”

Harry's brows furrowed in confusion as Snape handed the package to Harry, who took it cautiously, studying the brown paper wrapping.

Snape stared at Harry impatiently. "Open it."

As Harry carefully unwrapped the package, the fabric of a glistening cloak revealed itself. His breath caught, and he looked up at Snape in astonishment and confusion.

"It belonged to your father," Snape said matter-of-factly. “It is an invisibility cloak. The headmaster thought it was time you had it. Its power must be used wisely, understand?”

Harry's mind raced with conflicting emotions. The cloak was a link to his family's past; he'd never had such a tangible connection to his parents.

"Professor," Harry hesitated, his voice suddenly full of emotion. "I... I didn't expect..."

Snape raised a hand to quell Harry's words, his voice uncharacteristically gentle. "I must admit, I wasn’t entirely persuaded to give this back to you. Nonetheless, I trust you will perceive it as a gesture of sentiment, not an invitation to disregard the rules.”

Harry hugged the fabric to his chest; the weight of its fabric brought a sudden flood of emotions. His mind wandered to his father, imagining him using the cloak to navigate the very halls of Hogwarts that Harry has been wandering.

He looked up at his head of house again with a small smile, his voice thick with emotion. “Thank you, sir.”

Snape gestured dismissively with his hand. He seemed lost within his own thoughts, too.

With the cloak tucked carefully under his arm, after a quiet goodbye to his professor, Harry made his way back to his dorm.

One phrase Snape said to him rang in his ears. “I trust you will perceive it as a gesture of sentiment…”

He trusts Harry. He trusts him with something that could easily allow him to break school rules.

And all Harry had done was assume the worst in him: that he was behind the curse on his broom.

Maybe Harry should start to trust him back.

--

It was nearly a week later when Lucas brought up Harry’s gift from the Dursleys.

They were sitting playing cards, which Lucas’s mum had sent to him for Christmas. Of course, they weren't ordinary cards. The cards all had faces and would whisper to Harry game strategies and beg to be used next. Harry held back laughter whenever they played with them.

“You look stupid in that jumper in here, you know?” Lucas said, placing one of his cards down on the pile. He had a teasing grin on his face.

Harry grinned back, snuggling further into the red jumper Mrs Weasley gave him. He’d hardly taken the thing off since Christmas. It was the nicest piece of clothing he owned, and it felt special that not only had Ron written home about him enough for Mrs Weasley to remember him, but that she had put in the effort to make it. It did look rather out of place in the emerald common room, though.

“I don’t care.” Harry shrugged, placing his card down in response (It cheered, happy to be chosen). “I like it. And besides, it was a gift.”

Lucas rolled his eyes, placed his next card, and turned back to Harry. “And the gift from your family? You liked it?” He asked casually.

Harry froze, looking down at his cards but ignoring their chatter. He remembered the 50-pence piece given by the Dursleys for Christmas. He looked cautiously up at Lucas, who looked like he’d asked an ordinary question.

Was it possible Lucas knew the worth of the coin? He came from a pureblood family as far as Harry knew, but maybe he’d just assumed that. He decided to continue his previous storyline and hope Lucas didn't know about muggle money.

“Yeah, of course... why’d you ask?” Harry attempted to keep his voice neutral, concealing the flood of emotions swirling through his mind. Harry played his next card but no longer cared about the game.

Lucas shrugged, seemingly unaware of Harry’s panic. “I dunno, you seemed shocked on Christmas day.” He played his next card. “Is that a usual gift from them?”

"I was just taken aback. It's, um, sort of a family joke," Harry stumbled through his words, omitting the part about his very existence being the Dursleys' version of an inside joke.

Luckily, before Lucas could respond, some other Slytherins entered the common room and expressed interest in the game. Harry welcomed the shift in conversation, though he couldn't help but notice Lucas casting a few curious glances his way throughout the rest of the day.

--

"Harry!" Hermione's voice rang out, her face breaking into a bright smile as she spotted him in the crowded hallway. "It's so good to see you again!"

Harry returned her smile, feeling a wave of warmth wash over him, as he was reunited with his friend. She surprised him by slinging her arms around his neck and pulling him into a hug. "You too, Hermione. How was your holiday?"

“It was great, but I missed Hogwarts!” She replied, pulling away and revealing that Ron had run up to join them. Harry grinned as he approached.

“Hey look, Harry! We’re matching!” He teased as he revealed his matching knitted red jumper with an embroidered R instead of Harry’s H.

Harry's grin widened, his heart swelling warmly as he re-joined their familiar banter.

Ron launched into a lively account of his family's holiday festivities while Hermione and Harry listened attentively, interjecting with their own anecdotes. It felt nice to be reunited with them. He’d enjoyed the quietness of the castle over the holiday but hadn’t realised how much he had missed the hustle and bustle of all the students returned.

Unfortunately, the return of all students meant the return of his least favourite students: the Slytherin first-year boys, notably Draco Malfoy - who was staring Harry down from the other side of the Great Hall. Harry shuddered, avoiding his gaze, but felt it linger and made him uneasy.

The feast grew to an end, and Harry bid farewell to Ron, Hermione, and his other Gryffindor friends and headed back to Slytherin. He was excited to see his other dormmates again. As intimidated as he often felt around them, the dorm had felt empty with just him and Lucas.

“Hey Potty!” Harry’s heart sank as his least favourite voice rang out as he exited the Great Hall. Draco was there with the other Slytherins as if they had been waiting for him. Harry gulped, looking for an escape route and turned away from them. “Hey, come back, we just wanna talk!”

Harry looked to see Draco following him, and he quickened his pace.

“I’m serious, Potter. Get back here.” Draco taunted as he followed him. Harry didn’t believe it for a second and quickened his escape, not even knowing the corridors he was going down.

Speed gave him an advantage as he hurried ahead, scanning the corridor for a hiding spot. Spotting a door nearby, he dashed towards it and slipped inside, swiftly closing the door behind him. Leaning against it, he held his breath, straining to hear any sign of Draco and the others passing by.

A sigh of relief escaped him as he listened to their footsteps fade away down the corridor.

Surveying his surroundings, he reached for his wand and conjured a dull Lumos, revealing an abandoned classroom. As he explored the room, a glint captured his attention. Moving closer, he discovered a mirror partially concealed by a sheet. With a hint of hesitation, he raised his hand and pulled down the covering.

His breath caught as he took in what lay before him.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3741