Finding You Again by jjjm0808
Summary: Can old wounds be healed? Can Harry and Severus have a chance at being happy? Can Dumbledore stop being a meddling old coot?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Family, Fluff
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 45475 Read: 22107 Published: 05 Jan 2022 Updated: 03 May 2022
Chapter 2 by jjjm0808
Author's Notes:
This one is kind of long!
December 24, 1980

“Ugh James!” Lily exclaimed “Don’t give Harry all that pudding! He’s eaten enough, and I do not want his dinner to be spoiled!” Lily let out a frustrated sigh as she came into the kitchen and saw the two of them.

“It's fine Lils don’t worry we were just finishing up weren’t we buddy?” he asked turning to the almost 5-month-old in his highchair. Harry gave him a big smile that showed his little four teeth and let out a bunch of baby gibberish. James let out a big laugh and picked him up from his chair and walked out of the kitchen to put him down on the playmat in the sitting room that was now fully decorated for Christmas tomorrow.

Just as he sat back on the couch the floo flared up and out walked a tall, slender man dressed in all black. Harry looked up from the blocks he was playing with while and immediately let out a loud squeal and started to crawl towards the man. Severus immediately smiled, forgetting about the stress from his day, and leaned down to scoop up his son in his arms and placed a kiss on the top of his already full head of raven hair. Harry gurgled and cuddled into Severus’s neck as he rubbed his little back. Snape looked over at James who was stretched out on the couch and sighed. It wasn’t that he completely despised the man who made his time at Hogwarts unbearable, but he still wasn’t overly fond of him especially when he had a trying day and all he wanted to do was spend time with his beautiful wife and son. He smiled to himself as he thought of how far he has come in the past five years. From being a complete loner who turned to the dark side for the wrong reasons, to turning to the light and becoming a spy for Dumbledore and finding Lily again to share his life with as well as his son who he loved more than life itself and would do absolutely anything for him.

Severus was broken out of his thoughts when Harry started to pull on his hair with his tiny fists that seemed to have an iron-like strength when trying to pull them open. “No Harry,” he said firmly and was able to pry the hands off his hair. “Let us go find mummy, shall we?” he asked his son.

He walked into the kitchen while still holding his son and saw his wife cooking dinner and listening to muggle Christmas music. She turned when she heard the footsteps and immediately smiled at the sight in front of her. “Hi Sev,” she said and walked the rest of the way to meet him “I missed you,” she said and stood on her toes to plant a quick kiss on his lips.

"Hello, my love,” Severus said after the kiss broke and wrapped an arm around pulling her close. He let out a content sigh as he felt his heart swell in his chest at the feel of his wife and son against him in their arms. He leaned down and kissed Lily’s forehead before she took a step back to finish the dinner she was preparing.

“Lily, why are you making so much food? This is more than they serve in the great hall at Hogwarts,” Severus told his wife.

She let out a chuckle, “Did you forget that we have company coming?” she asked her husband.

She heard Sev groan, and she rolled her eyes “They’ll only be here for dinner and a few gifts for tonight Sev, it’s not that bad,” she remarked.

“Not that bad?” he asked. “If I must sit and listen to Sirius Black brag about his life and Peter Pettigrew complain about his life, I am going to lose it,” he responded.

“Sev, it’s only for a little it won’t be that bad,” she said.

Before Severus could even respond the doorbell to the home in Spinners End rang and Severus groaned even louder this time and turned to Harry, “Your mother and James are trying to kill me” he told his son. Harry just gazed back at him and then looked over his shoulder to see the commotion that was coming from the other room. James let the rest of the marauders in and already started having an animated conversation with the three of them as they entered the home.

“Alright, alright enough of this. Now where is my favorite godson?” asked Sirius.

“You mean your only godson,” laughed Remus from behind him.

“Doesn’t mean he still isn’t my favorite” Sirius replied.

Snape walked out of the kitchen holding Harry and then placed him on the ground in front of the couch as the marauders filed into the sitting room.

“Snivellus,” Sirius said acknowledging Severus.

“Black,” Sev responded with clear malice lacing his tone.

“Tone it down in front of my son now, would you?” James remarked both men.

Severus, James, and Lily decided not to let anyone know (aside from Dumbledore) of Harry’s true parentage due to safety concerns, but that didn’t stop Snape from clutching his fists when he heard James call his son ‘my son’. The marauders knew that Severus and Lily were married but were told Harry was born from James before they wed.

Sirius simply nodded and began to play with Harry on the floor while Peter and James went into the kitchen to see if Lily needed help. Remus sat down on the couch next to Severus and watched his friend and Harry play with the few toys on the floor. Severus sighed as Remus sat next to him. Remus started talking to Snape as if he cared to listen and Snape started rubbing his temples, nursing the migraine he knew was coming on from the present company. He gave a glance in Harry’s direction and smiled when he saw how happy his son was, then stood up and stalked out of the room and into the study to do some work while he waited for dinner.

After about twenty minutes his left forearm started to burn, and he cursed under his breath. ‘Why tonight? Why me?’ he thought to himself. He hated going to these meetings but knew he had to stay on the dark lord’s good side so he can continue spying. He slammed his palms on the desk and grabbed his death eater mask and robes and shrunk them down to place in his pockets. He walked out and immediately followed the voices into the dining room where he saw everyone getting ready to eat. Everyone looked up but he only had eyes for Lily who was holding their son in her arms, just about to place him in his chair. Lily could already tell by the look of sorrow and pain in his dark obsidian eyes what he was conveying to her. She swallowed and walked over to her husband who placed his arms around her and kissed her before the pain flared up again in his forearm. “I’m sorry” he whispered so only her, and Harry could hear. He rested his hand on the top of his son’s hair and gave them both one last look before immediately running out of the house and apparating to Malfoy Manor to meet Lucius before leaving together.

Everyone in the dining room back at Spinners End remained quiet as they all knew where Snape was going. Lily, who always became extremely overwhelmed and filled with worry for her husband when he left, stood there for a few moments before James got up from his seat and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. “Come on Lils. Let’s eat” he told her. Lily nodded but didn’t respond. She turned and placed Harry in his chair and sat next to him. The group began to eat and started a small conversation where now and then they would try to bring Lily into it, but she would only respond with a few words.

****

Meanwhile, Severus met up with a displeased Lucius Malfoy outside of his Manor. “Took you long enough” Malfoy muttered just loud enough for Severus to hear. He was never good friends with Lucius, but of course, had to keep up with the façade. They both then apparated to the location of their death eater meeting outside the Riddle house. They could see that they were one of the last few and Severus knew this wasn’t a good thing.

“Ahh, my dear servants… Seems to me like we have a few stragglers amongst us. Were you two thinking you would make a grand entrance in the middle of MY meeting?” Asked Voldemort.

As much as this pained Severus to do, he and Lucius knelt and kissed the hem of Voldemort’s robes “No, my lord. Dumbledore kept me longer than expected. I do apologize” claimed Severus. Voldemort stared at Severus for what seemed like an eternity and then nodded seeming as if he was accepting this answer.

“Crucio!” Voldemort exclaimed suddenly and watched as Severus writhed on the floor. Severus tried his best to not let out a scream as it felt like a million stabbing and flaming knives were piercing his skin. Thankfully, Voldemort ended the curse and then moved on to Malfoy. Severus was slow to get up but was thankful it wasn’t one of the longer ones.

Lucius and Severus then stood with the rest of the death eaters and listened as Voldemort explained his next plans and ambitions for the following month. Severus did not pay close attention until Voldemort said something that made his breath hitch and his heart stop. “It seems that Dumbledore has a little group of aurors and volunteers trying to overcome me. There is one that seems to catch my eye, that being James Potter. I must finish him and his family before things go any further with that miscreant.”

Severus truly felt like he was going to pass out at any moment. He carefully listened to the plans Voldemort set forth before dismissing the group. He and Lucius apparated back to Malfoy Manor where Snape pulled two vials out from his robes and handed one to Lucius saying, “To ease the aftereffects of the cruciatus.” Both he and Lucius downed the vials.

“Thank you, Severus. Seeing as it is Christmas Eve, would you like to come inside for a drink and dinner? I know Narcissa and Draco would love to see you.”

Severus merely shook his head “I cannot tonight. I must return to Hogwarts as I am on night duty.”

Lucius seemed to accept his answer and bid him farewell before heading inside.

Severus let out a shaky breath from the stress and worry that seemed to convey him. He knew he had to tell Albus of tonight’s meeting, but he honestly just wanted to see his wife and child more than anything. He pondered what to do for a moment more before apparating to Hogsmeade and stalking up to the castle to notify Albus of his current situation.

****

Meanwhile, back in Spinners End, everything was settling down. The marauders and Lily and little Harry enjoyed their dinner as much as they could and then settled in the sitting room to open the few gifts. Sirius, Remus, and Peter all pitched in and gave Harry a starters broom. James was clearly very excited by this gift because he could not wait to teach Harry about quidditch, whereas Lily was a little more hesitant. She obviously loved quidditch and hoped Harry would too, but he wasn’t even one year old yet for Merlin’s sake! She also knew Severus would never approve. Hell, he probably wouldn’t approve until Harry was 17. Before she could say anything James immediately scooped Harry up onto the broom and held onto his small frame as harry sat on it.

“That godson of mine is going to be a pro! He’s already a natural!” exclaimed Sirius.

James was slowly walking forward with Harry on the broom and Harry squealed clapping his little hands together and kicking his little legs out. “James Potter you be careful with my son now!” Lily shouted.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah” was all James had to say back.

After about an hour, it was nearing 8 pm and Harry was starting to wear out from all the excitement. He was sitting up on the couch with pillows surrounding him to support him and protect him from falling when he let out a tired cry and rubbed his eyes.

“Looks like someone’s ready for bed,” said Remus looking over at Harry.

“I can put him to bed, it’ll give me a little more time with my godson before I leave on my trip for the aurors office.” Lily nodded and picked Harry up, placing a kiss on his forehead before passing him over to Sirius. Sirius walked up the stairs and into Harry’s room where he kissed his godson and laid him gently in his crib. He grabbed the stuffed animal in the shape of a dog and placed it next to Harry while pulling the little blue blanket up to his chest. Sirius let his hand rest on Harry’s chest for a moment while looking over his godson. “You know Harry, I can’t wait to take you out when you’re older and wreak havoc with you.” He said jokingly. “I love you very much and I’d do anything for you buddy. I’m going to be going away for a little bit, so you better not forget me.” Sirius told Harry as if Harry fully understood everything he was saying. Sirius kissed his godsons forehead, “Goodnight Harry” he whispered to him and quietly walked out of the room and back downstairs.

“Alright Padfoot, we’re just getting ready to leave,” said Remus “Let the family enjoy the rest of their Christmas eve in peace and quiet,” he chuckled.

Sirius nodded and gave Lily a hug and James a pat on the back “Well, I’ll see you guys after my mission.”

James gave him a sad smile and patted his back “Yeah see you when you get back Padfoot.” Turning to Remus, “See you Moony, see you Wormtail. Thanks for coming guys,” he said to his friends before leading them out the door.

After they left, James found Lily sitting on the couch looking at the photo album she was in the process of creating. Lily was currently looking at the pictures of her and Sev’s small wedding. She let her hands touch the page where her favorite picture of her and Severus was placed. It was the two of them having their first dance as a married couple. She was in her simple wedding dress with green dressing robes whereas Sev was wearing his traditional black tuxedo with green dressing robes overtop. She was pressed up against him as his arms were wrapped tightly around her and a big smile on both of their faces as he leaned down to kiss her.

She sighed as James sat next to her on the couch and loosely draped his arm over his friend. “He’ll be alright Lils.” She nodded and rested her head against James’ shoulder before closing the photo album and gazing at the twinkling lights on the Christmas tree. After what seemed like forever, the floo flared up, and out walked Severus.

Lily immediately jumped up from the couch and ran to her husband wrapping her arms around his neck so tightly. Sev slightly grimaced as he was still a bit sore from the curse, but he hugged his wife back and rested his cheek on the top of her head. Lily pulled back just enough to give him a long kiss on the lips and then placed her hands on his chest.

“Are you okay?” she asked him when she saw the anguish in his eyes. He looked down at his wife, the love of his life, his Lily flower, and broke down immediately. Tears streamed down his face as he clung to her again as if she was his lifeline.

James was still sitting on the couch watching this happen. Snape was not an emotional man, so he could only assume something horrible happened or will be happening. He silently watched as Lily led Snape to the other couch and sat next to her husband holding his head against her chest as she stroked his long, soft hair. After a few minutes, Snape straightened up and noticed Potter was in the room. His cheeks flushed and he became slightly embarrassed this man had just seen him break down in the middle of the sitting room. He wanted to yell at the man to get out and let them have their privacy, but he needed Potter to hear what he had to tell them.

He looked over at his wife who was gazing up at him with clear concern in those emerald eyes. ‘Those eyes’ he thought. He thought about how he could get lost in them for days on end and how he was so thankful his son bore those eyes. Severus leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees and buried his face in his hands.

“Sev?” Lily asked while she rubbed his back. “What happened?” Severus stayed silent for a moment trying to get his thoughts in order.

“We can’t do this anymore,” he said quietly.

He straightened back up and looked over at his wife. “He wants to go after Potter and his family.” He said sounding defeated.

James from across the room dropped his head into his own hands. “I’m sorry Lily,” James said. “I’m also sorry to you Severus. I know I vowed to protect them.”

Snape snapped his head around and stood up angrily. “You just had to go and follow Black into the aurors office, didn’t you. Because of your unwillingness to be your own damn person you endangered my wife and my son!” Severus shouted at the man sitting in front of him. His wand hand twitched as he had the desire to hex the imbecile, but before he even knew it James stood up and pointed his own finger in Snape’s face.

“Yeah but you had to go and be a death eater. You endangered your future family by choosing that life, Snivelllus” James fired back.

Severus made a move for his wand, but Lily grabbed his arm back and stepped in between the two men. “Stop it right now! I will put you both in a body bind if you don’t calm down!” she shouted to both men. Tears pooled in her eyes threatening to fall over as she turned to her husband, her eyes pleading with him to tell her what was going on.

Snape sighed and took a step back. “The dark lord wants to kill Potter and threatened to go after his family for trying to overcome him” Lily gasped as Severus told them. James reached out and put a hand on Lily’s shoulder. Snape looked up and immediately grabbed Lily’s hand and pulled her to his side.

Lily too caught up in what Sev just told her, didn’t react. “W-What… What will we do? Harry? What about Harry?” She asked, her voice faltering as tears now streamed out of her eyes.

Snape turned towards Lily and cupped her cheeks with his potion-stained hands and gently swiped at the tears. “Dumbledore has agreed to hide you three.” His voice grew thick with emotion You will have to leave tonight. He has a home in Godric’s Hollow set up for you three and you will be under a fidelus charm.”

“Wait… three? What about you?” James piped up looking confused. Snape sighed again and closed his eyes. He leaned forward to rest his forehead against Lily’s for a moment. “Dumbledore wants me to continue my spying and I agree with him. I need to receive information, so I know what the dark lord is planning,” he whispered.

Lily let out a sob now and wrapped her arms tightly around Severus, who immediately returned the strong embrace. “Dumbledore will be here in an hour to take you there,” Snape said into Lily’s hair.

“I’ll give you a moment and start packing,” James told them as he walked out of the room to get their things together.

“Hopefully it will not be too long. Dumbledore thinks we are close to bringing him down. As soon as this is over it will just be the three of us. It will be okay, Lily.” Snape told her, but he was also trying to tell himself they will be just fine. Lily looked up and kissed her husband again before taking a step back. “Tomorrow is Harry’s first Christmas, and you won’t even be there…” Lily said sadly. Snape looked around the room and took it all in; the Christmas decorations, the gifts stowed under the tree, the baby toys simply thrown about in Harry’s play mat, the pictures along the walls, and the fire mantle of the happy family. Tears pooled in his eyes again and he took a deep breath “It will be fine Lily. I am going to go wake him.” He said quietly while leaving the room and heading up to his son’s nursery.
Severus entered the small nursery and walked over to the crib that held his tiny son. He stood there for a moment watching the gentle rise and fall of his son’s little chest before placing a hand on it and gently waking him. Harry rubbed his eyes with his little fists and looked up at his daddy tiredly but gave him a big smile that showed his four little teeth. Severus smiled a sad smile and picked up his son and held him tightly to his chest, gently swaying his little boy before sitting down in the rocking chair in the room that faced looking out the window.

“Harry, my son, my beautiful son” Snape began, “I love you so very much. In fact, I love you so very much I am going to have to give you away for a while, but just know it pains me so deeply to do so. I need to keep you safe. You and your mother are the only people that ever mattered to me in this world. I will come and get you two as soon as I can. I promise.” Severus told his son quietly. Severus cradled his son closer to his chest and rested his cheek on the little head covered in wild black hair. Little did he know that James Potter was standing in the doorway to the nursery watching with his own tears threatening to fall over. He knew exactly what to do at this moment and quietly left the room undetected.

After an hour that Severus had broken the news, the floo flared up, and out walked Albus Dumbledore. He smiled a sad smile at the family of three sitting on the couch, with Harry and Lily held close to Severus’s chest. “I’m afraid it’s time my boy” Dumbledore said quietly.

Lily looked up from where she was resting her head on her husband’s shoulder and nodded. Severus and Lily stood up and Severus immediately drew Lily into a tight hug while holding their son in between them. James entered the room and took a picture of the family before hiding the camera again and placing it in one of the many bags he was holding. He nodded to Dumbledore and stepped closer to the family. Snape reluctantly gave his son one last kiss and handed him over to Potter before turning back to his wife and giving her a long, passionate kiss. “I love you, my Lily Flower” he whispered to her. She looked up at him and gave him a sad smile “I love you too Sev… always.”

James placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and Lily moved to his side. James looked up at Snape and gave him a nod “I promise you this… I will protect them with my life.” Severus nodded and gave one last look at his family before turning around. He couldn’t bear to watch the two people he cares most about go. Dumbledore stepped forward and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder “are you ready my boy?” he asked. Snape merely nodded and took one last deep breath.

Albus raised his wand and whispered “obliviate” erasing all the memories of Lily and Harry from the past year from his mind. Dumbledore led Lily, James, and baby Harry to the floo and took them away.

Little did any of them know though, was that someone was listening and watching their floo, intent on pleasing the man he considered his lord.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3751