Finding You Again by jjjm0808
Summary: Can old wounds be healed? Can Harry and Severus have a chance at being happy? Can Dumbledore stop being a meddling old coot?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Family, Fluff
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 45475 Read: 22105 Published: 05 Jan 2022 Updated: 03 May 2022
Chapter 20 by jjjm0808
December 12, 1991

Severus had been miserable since he left for his mission. Not only was he worried about his potions classes and who Dumbledore replaced him with, but he was worried about Harry. He kept thinking back to the ways he could have tried harder to give his son a proper goodbye. Severus was worried that he is completely diminishing the small bit of trust Harry put into him, and knowing small tidbits of Harry’s childhood, the boy clearly had issues trusting.

Severus had only been gone for a few days, but he truly did miss his son. Granted he and Harry had not known about their relationship for all that long, but Severus missed hearing his son’s laugh, seeing his sheepish smile, and seeing the glint in those green eyes. If anything, this mission was to prove that Severus needed Harry in his life just as much as Harry needed him.

So far nothing has happened. He had been following Quirrell around a small town in Scotland concealed by Polyjuice potion. He hasn’t seen anything suspicious of the defense professor yet, so he was beginning to wonder if Dumbledore would allow him to cancel his trip early just in time for him and Harry to celebrate boxing day together.

Severus had a few gifts planned to give his son so that they could make their first official boxing day together special. He knew his son deserved something special for once in his life.

****

December 20, 1991

Today had been just like any other day. He woke up at the crack of dawn, read the paper, made his tea, and sat watch. Severus was starting to grow bored of his current mission. Quirrell was being cautious and knew not to plan anything over this break.

“Damn you, Albus,” Severus muttered while sipping his tea. He was sitting next to the window in the small flat he was currently renting. It was located across the street from Quirrell’s building, so it allowed him to see when Quirrell would leave so he could discretely follow.

After about another half hour of perusing the Daily Prophet, Severus’s mind started to drift back to a few weeks ago in the headmaster’s office.

**** (FB)

“Now Severus,” Dumbledore began. He knew he was about to cross a dangerous line here. “Did you or did you not plead for Lily’s life over your son on that fateful night?”

Severus saw red. “How dare you, you bastard! You know damn well I did not know my relation to Harry!” He straightened up and kicked the chair behind him sending it right against the stone wall. “You had no right to keep my son away from me! My son with my wife! My Lily! You have no right to control my relationship with him!” Severus ran his arm over Dumbledore’s desk sending everything crashing to the floor. “You have controlled my life for so long, I will not stand for it anymore!” He pulled out his wand and aimed it at the headmaster.

“Severus, stand down,” Dumbledore said as he rose from his desk. In the past, he knew Severus would never try anything on him, but now bring his newfound son into the equation, Dumbledore did not know what to expect.

“You have taken so much of my life from me…” Severus started, his voice thick with emotion. “My freedom, my family, everything!”

“No Severus, you lost those things when you joined the wrong side to begin with,” Dumbledore replied calmly.

“Damn you!” Severus screamed. The objects that were once cluttering Dumbledore’s desk but were now skewed across the floor began to shake. The portraits of previous headmasters and headmistresses all ran from their frames; they did not want to witness what was about to happen.

Severus’s magic began to crack around the room and before he and the headmaster knew it, the stained-glass windows shattered all around them, the portrait frames flew off the walls, and the cabinets were shaking as if they were about to tip over.

“Severus!” Dumbledore shouted. “Get a hold of yourself!”

“I-I…” Severus stuttered but then trailed off. He knew Dumbledore was right but how dare he claim he wanted Harry to die. For Merlin’s sake what man wishes death upon a baby? Let alone his baby…

Severus sank down onto the floor with tears filling his eyes. Aside from Dumbledore, the only other person to see him shed a tear was his beloved wife. He did not like the fact he was being so vulnerable right now, especially in front of this man.

“I-I…” Severus stuttered.

Dumbledore walked out from behind his desk and placed a comforting hand on the potion master’s shoulder. “I know, my dear boy, and I am sorry too.”

Dumbledore whispered a quick sleeping charm and returned Severus to his living quarters for the night.

**** (End FB)

Severus’s mind was pulled out of his thoughts when he saw four cloaked figures walking into the building across the street. This set off immediate alarms in his mind since he recognized those cloaks from his night job. He grabbed one of the vials of Polyjuice potion and downed the vial, transforming into a random muggle he stole a hair sample from. As he made his way across the street, he cast a silencing charm on himself and slowly crept up the creaky stairs, and stood outside the doorway to Quirrell’s home. He could hear the muffled voices of the group of men, but there was one voice in particular that sent chills down his spine.

‘Oh for Merlin’s sake, please let this be a dream,’ Severus thought to himself.

Unfortunately for him, he knew it was not a dream but an actual living nightmare. Before he could do anything, he had to get in contact with Dumbledore and The Order to figure out their next steps.

Severus silently crept down the stairs and ran back to his own flat to Floo call the headmaster and devise a plan.

****

December 24, 1991

After informing the headmaster and The Order of the events that occurred, they sent two arurors to join Severus and stay watch. Ever since Severus left the building to provide intel, no one has entered or exited the building and it has now a full week without action. Severus and the two arurors, Frederick and Nolan were growing impatient and were all upset they were away from their families during unboxing day.

The day started just like any other day. Severus and the two arurors took shifts keeping watch in front of the window while the others would try and get some work done. Severus could not stop thinking about Harry. After finding out what Quirrell is involved with, Severus became extremely concerned for his son’s safety. He knew the dark lord would go after him and he knew his position as a spy would be severely compromised because there was no way in hell that he would even pretend to go along with the death eater’s plans.

Just as Severus was about to put a kettle of tea on, Nolan shouted from across the room for Severus and Frederick to join him.

When Severus made his way over to the window, he took a deep breath in. The death eaters started to make their move and they were now cursing innocent bystanders on the streets.

“We have to do something!” Frederick shouted as he summoned his wand and was already out the door. Nolan was right behind him too, but just as Severus was grabbing some healing potions to carry with him, the medallion on his bracelet gleamed a bright orange.

“Harry…” Severus said. He took one last look out the window and then back at the medallion. He only had one clear choice to make at this moment.

Thinking fast, he sent his doe Patronus to Dumbledore telling him about the situation and disapparated on the spot.

****

When Severus arrived outside the door to number 4 Privet Drive, he had to admit, he was very confused. ‘What is this place and why is Harry here?’ he thought to himself.

Without hesitation, Severus used his wand to blast the door open and there he saw it. A human whale kicking his son in the ribs. Before he knew it, Severus cast a blasting hex that hit Vernon Dursley square in the chest as he turned to the door. Vernon was hit so hard he flew through the hallway into the kitchen and right on top of what seemed like Whale Jr and a dog.

Petunia screamed as she saw her husband get blasted and she was pretty sure she heard a crunch as he landed on Dudley. Petunia grabbed Dudley out from underneath Vernon and did notice his foot was pointing in the opposite direction it should be. She screamed and visibly paled at the sight. Dudley who had been hopped up on adrenaline didn’t even realize until his mum pointed it out. He screamed and then passed out.

Severus closed the gap between him and Harry in three quick strides. He kneeled next to him and placed a gentle hand on Harry’s shoulder. Harry flinched and curled into himself even more.

“Harry, it’s dad. I’m here son,” Severus said as gently as he could. His emotions were all over the place right now and he was having a very hard time controlling his anger.

Harry peeked his head out from under his arms and did see his dad kneeling in front of him. He felt so exhausted and his whole body hurt that the only response he had was to begin to cry.

“Shhh,” Severus soothed. “It’s alright Harry we’re leaving. Can you grab your things?”

Harry didn’t respond for a moment, but when he did, he nodded his head. He was able to muster up enough energy to get the hell out of here. With the assistance of his dad, he stood up and collected a few things from his cupboard, and waited by the door.

Severus made sure his son could stand steady before he left Harry to go into the kitchen.

“How dare you lay a finger on my son!” Severus shouted as he stood over a struggling to sit up Vernon. “You know what they do to people like you in Azkaban? Well, when I’m through with you, you will wish you were in Azkaban,” he said in a dangerously low voice.

“Your son!” Petunia exclaimed. “Where have you been all this time then? Why did we have to take care of the rotten brat? Turned out just like your father huh, Severus?”

“How dare you!” Severus boomed. He pulled his wand out and cast a charm that stitched her mouth shut.

“Oi! Pet!” Vernon shouted as he stood up from the ground. “Enough with the freakiness!”

Severus took a step closer to Vernon and was face to face with him. “How dare you, you despicable muggle,” Severus spat. He turned to Petunia, “your own blood. Imagine how Lily and your parents would react if they even heard a third of the things you did to him.”

“Get out of my house!” Vernon said taking a menacing step towards Severus.

Before Vernon could react, Severus wound up and punched Vernon hard in the nose causing blood to trickle out.

“You bastard!” Vernon shouted through cupped hands.

“Dad?” Harry called weakly from the hallway.

Severus turned to look at Harry leaning up against the wall.

“You’re lucky that is all for today,” Severus whispered to Vernon before he turned on his heel and walked out of the kitchen.

He placed a hand on Harry’s back and guided him out of the house. As they were standing on the driveway Severus stopped and placed both hands on Harry’s shoulders and turned his son to face him. “Harry, where’s your trunk and Hedwig?”

“Uhh, I think it’s in the garage…” Harry said quietly.

Severus nodded and blasted open the garage door. He spotted Harry’s trunk and birdcage with a padlock on it and blasted them both away. He let Hedwig out of her cage and told her to go to Hogwarts and then he shrunk Harry’s belongings down and placed them in his pocket.

“Alright, Harry let’s get you out of here and back home,” Severus said as he walked back over to Harry who was now leaning tiredly against the car.

As Severus wrapped his arm around Harry’s shoulder, he felt the heat coming off the boy’s body. He moved his hand up to Harry’s forehead and brushed away the fringe. “Merlin Harry! You’re burning up!” Severus exclaimed drawing his hand away. “We need to get you to Poppy,” Severus said.

Harry’s response was just a cough and he leaned against his dad now, hardly able to stand on his own from the fatigue. Severus looked down and realized this. He sighed worriedly and bent over to place one arm behind Harry’s knees and the other against his back as he lifted his son off the ground.

“Is this better?” Severus asked looking down at his strong but fragile boy in his arms.

Harry closed his eyes and just nodded, leaning into his dad, and taking in the familiar scent of herbs and spices. He finally felt safe and allowed himself to succumb to the exhaustion.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3751