Finding You Again by jjjm0808
Summary: Can old wounds be healed? Can Harry and Severus have a chance at being happy? Can Dumbledore stop being a meddling old coot?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Overly-protective Snape, Snape is Stern
Genres: Drama, Family, Fluff
Media Type: None
Tags: Injured!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 45475 Read: 21636 Published: 05 Jan 2022 Updated: 03 May 2022
Chapter 4 by jjjm0808
July 31, 1991

It was now the sixteenth day since they have been locked in the shack on the little island in the middle of nowhere. Harry sighed and rolled over onto his stomach from the thin blanket he was provided to use as a mattress. Every year on his birthday he had a slimmer of hope that something amazing would happen, but every year that slimmer of hope seemed to grow smaller and smaller.

He was just about to close his eyes and attempt to sleep over his cousins and uncle's loud snoring when he heard what he thought sounded like a motorcycle outside the door. Suddenly there was a loud knock on the door. He held his breath and just stared at the door hoping his uncle would wake up and deal with them, but then a louder second knock on the door, and the door fell off its hinges. Harry quickly dove back to the ground to hide behind the fireplace. He heard Vernon curse and get out of bed slamming his feet on the stairs “I swear boy if you did something…” he trailed off as he now saw the giant man entering the shack and swallowed. Dudley seemed to wake up and ran over to his father and that was when the man took another step towards them. “Ah hello there me name is Hagrid. I’m here te deliver a letter from Perfessor Dumbledore here sir,” the giant explained.

At some point, Petunia got out of bed and was now standing behind her husband handing him the shotgun, which Vernon grabbed and pointed it at ‘Hagrid’. Hagrid simply looked around the room and then saw the shotgun pointed at him “Oh! There’s no need fer that!” he said reaching out and bending the barrel backward. Petunia screamed and Vernon felt his breath catch in his throat. Hagrid looked down at the obese child and let out what seemed to be a painful smile “Yer must be Harry right?” he asked the blond boy. Dudley simply let his jaw hang open and shook his head. He then raised a shaky arm and pointed a finger towards the fireplace.

Hagrid turned and saw the little boy crouching down and took a step closer ‘hmm that makes more sense’ he thought to himself. Harry stood up and gulped. He figured if this was the way to go, at least he’d be put out of his misery. Hagrid walked over to the couch and sat down. Even when the old couch broke from his weight he didn’t move. “Hello Harry, I have something fer ya. It’s from Perfessor Dumbledore at Hogwarts. Oh, and also happy birthday to ya” He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out the letter that Harry recognized from before. Harry tentatively took it and opened it.

“Mr. Potter,
We offer you congratulations as you have now been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. We look forward to your presence this upcoming year.
Please see the attached letter with the school wardrobe requirements and supplies.
Sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Head Mistress”

Harry furrowed his eyebrows and looked back up at Hagrid. “What’s Hogwarts?” he simply asked. Hagrid frowned “Yer a wizard Harry. It’s a school for wizards and witches like ya self. Yer parents went there.” Harry gasped and glanced between the letter and Hagrid. “My parents” he whispered quietly and let a small smile form on his face. “I’m s’posed to take ya to get yer school things and drop ya off at the Weasley’s befer school starts,” Hagrid told the boy. Harry nodded his head and smiled again ‘maybe my birthday wish came true this year’ he thought to himself.

He left with Hagrid and didn’t bother giving one glance back to the Dursleys as he hopped onto the motorcycle.

August 1, 1991

The next day, Harry and Hagrid made their way to what Hagrid called ‘Diagaon Alley’. “First we gotta stop at Gringotts to get ya money,” he told Harry as they entered the bank. Harry looked around at the creepy-looking goblins and gulped. Apparently, his parents left a vault for him with all kinds of heirlooms and money. Hagrid allowed Harry to enter the vault himself and when he did his jaw dropped. He had never seen this much gold before in his life! He walked over to a pile and opened the pouch Hagrid gave him to put the galleons in as Hagrid called them. He grabbed what he thought would be sufficient and turned to leave, but a big wooden chest by the door stopped him. On top, there was a letter with his name on it. Harry smiled realizing it might be from his parents and he grabbed the letter, sitting down next to the chest.

He carefully opened the envelope and smiled when he began to read.

“Harry,
I can’t even believe I am writing this letter. First, I want you to know how much I love you. You are my entire world, my beautiful, beautiful baby boy.

Unfortunately, if you are reading this letter, that means he found us. I am truly sorry that I didn’t do more to protect you from the evil that surrounded us at the time.

Just know, your father and I tried our very best.
Speaking of your father Harry, James Potter is not your real father. James loved you so very much as if you were his own son, but he was only my friend at the time and vowed to protect us. Your real father is Severus Snape.

He had to have his memories erased to protect us. Harry, he loves you so very much, and I can only hope the two of you are together right now and that you’re not actually reading this letter. If you are, go to Albus Dumbledore, the headmaster at Hogwarts. He will help you two find each other again.

Bring along the contents of the chest and make sure to provide them to your father, Severus.

I love you so much my Harry bear.

Love,
Mummy”

Harry felt tears streaming down his face. He has a father! He has a parent that is still alive! ‘Or at least hopefully he’s still alive…’ he thought. He roughly wiped the tears off his face and stood up, opening the chest. Inside he saw what looked like a photo album, a smaller chest that held vials of silvery liquid inside, a stuffed toy dog, and a letter addressed to ‘Severus Snape’. Harry tried to drag the chest out of the vault but realized it was way too heavy and big for him to carry. He would have to come back for it.

He smiled as he walked out of the vault. He couldn’t believe what just happened. He didn’t think he has ever felt this happy before in his life.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3751