Grips My Heart by Roonil Wazlib
Summary: Danger looms over the wizarding world as Grippe seizes the world. Everything seems dull and desolate. What will Harry now do to save the world when his skills in wand waving is of no use? How will it affect Harry and Snape's relation? Will this time of crisis bring them closer?
Categories: Fic Fests > Winter fest 2021 Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Desperate
Genres: Angst, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Hospitalization, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 6th Year, 7th summer
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: No Word count: 2336 Read: 979 Published: 07 Jan 2022 Updated: 21 Jan 2022
Story Notes:
This story is largely inspired by the ongoing COVID pandemic.Might be triggering to some. All of this belongs to JKR.
Chapter 1 by Roonil Wazlib
Author's Notes:
Snape will appear in the next chapter.
“ ‘ Grippe seizes the wizarding world!’

Grippe, which came into light few months back, now grips the entire wizarding world. It started when few wizards were diagnosed with pneumonia of an unknown cause in the Diagon Alley. Subsequently, the disease is spreading to the other parts of the country. Many witches and wizards have lost their lives and several others are teetering on the edge of it. On the light of these events, the Ministry announces complete lockdown after 30th of June. It is requested to not to ignore the symptoms and owl the nearest health care center.”, stated Hermione as she read the morning edition of the Daily Prophet.

“ All over the news , isn’t it?”, Harry asked while munching on his toast.

“ Tell me about it”, groaned Ron looking very much frustrated from the events. And who would blame him? It isn’t exactly pleasant to see people suffering , is it?

“ I know. Everything seems so desolate”, sighed Hermione, “ The things must be really out of hands for the Ministry to shut down everything. It transmits rapidly through social gatherings. I really do not know how will the school conduct the examinations though-“.

“Attention students! I have a very important announcement to make.”, Dumbledore’s voice loomed over the Great Hall.

“ Here comes the man with answers”, muttered Ron. All heads turned towards the Headmaster.

“ You all are well acquainted about the pandemic gripping our world. As this disease spreads through large social gatherings, the Board of Governors have decided against the conducting of examinations this year.

“Oh no!”, said Hermione muttering under her breath. Seriously, how can someone be so obsessed with exams! Harry did ask Hermione once about this obsession of hers. Well, he never really understood the point she tried to make.

“Now about the dispersal ”, said Dumbledore breaking Harry’s reverie.

“ The school ends tomorrow. All students will not be traveling by the Hogwarts Express this year. You have been divided into smaller groups. These groups will be assigned a particular mean of transport accordingly. The portkeys are being made and the floo networks are being activated as we speak. The students will have to travel by the assigned transport. Details of the same has been shared with your respective Head of Houses. Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizadry has decided upon to extend our help in these tough times. Our school will now provide health care facilities to the ailing ones. Patients suffering from Grippe will be treated in the Great Hall while the Hospital Wing will remain functional for other medical services.” announced Dumbledore.

Ignoring the incessant whispering, he continued, ”Due to the shortage of medical staff, we are obliged to recruit sixth and seventh year students as volunteers. Those who interested can meet Madam Pomfrey who would give you further details. All I want to tell each of you is to help the society in the best possible ways. In such testing times we must all step forward forgetting our differences and contribute in the best possible ways. Remember students, no contribution is trifle and together we can overcome all our hardships. Never forget, ‘Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable.’


Harry hauled his trunk on his bed to pack his belongings. He opened his trunk to put his scattered clothes and books but couldn’t put his mind into it. His mind wandered back to the Headmaster’s speech. Those words 'Sticks in a bundle are unbreakable’ still echoed in his ears. He never really understood how Dumbledore made things look so simple when in reality they were complicated.

Could people really set their differences aside to work for a common cause? People around are so full of themselves that they would not look past their selfish interests. Merlin, he knew people who could keep the grudges with a dead man! It seems that all they care about is themselves.

‘Do not paint everyone with the same brush. You of all people must know this.’ a tiny voice whispered in his head. Harry immediately felt guilty. He had been shown extreme kindness by the Weasleys and Hermoine who were strangers to him. They always stood by him; supported him through thick and thin. What would have happened if he never met the Weasleys at the platform? What if he never befriended Ron and Hermione? How he would have sustained in Hogwarts? Would he have even managed to shoulder the prophecy without his friends' support?

No. He would not have. His friends made his life easier. He was extremely lucky to have his friends to back him up. Mere thought of them brought smile on his face. His heart swelled with love and appreciation for his friends.

But not all people are that lucky. There are people who were all alone; they have no one to care for them. Or there are people, who due to this pandemic, are suffering without their families. There are so much of misery around. There are so many people who are succumbing to this disease and many who are still suffering from it. There are many families which are being torn apart. Many parents have lost their children and many children have became orphaned…. And he could do nothing about it. Or could he ..?

He cannot vanquish the virus. Nor can he prevent the people from being infected. All he could do is what he was capable of: Offering kindness

“ Mate? Alright there? Still not packed?”, Ron asked as he entered the dormitory. “Hurry up! We have been assigned the express. It leaves in an couple of hours- Mate?”.

No use of thinking whether people would step up or not. What good would it do anyways… He cannot control their actions. But he could offer kindness, the one which was offered to an eleven year old boy, and attempt to heal the world.

Ron still stared at him; clearly waiting for a response. Harry smiled and answered ,”I am where I am ought to be.”

To be continued...
End Notes:
This is my first Snape and Harry fic. Please read and review.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3753