To Turn Back Time by Scott Berg
Summary: Alternative ending to Not Enough Time starting at the end of Chapter 1. Having seen Harry Potter in a new light can Severus manage to save the boy who lived
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption, Alternate Universe, Injured!Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Physical Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 10459 Read: 3706 Published: 18 Feb 2022 Updated: 19 Feb 2022
Chapter 3 by Scott Berg
Severus lands them just outside the grounds of Hogwarts, feeling the boy's warmth against his chest and his owl rustling against his chest on the other side. He lifts his cloak to check on them, the boy is still sleeping peacefully with the owl next to him. She gazes up at him looking disgruntled at this undignified way of travelling. He thinks it's probably not a good idea to try walking into Hogwarts concealing a boy and an owl, he'll already look suspicious enough carrying Harry. He has an idea, rummaging in his pocket he finds the parchment from the scan he performed earlier and quickly dictates a note which appears on the other side.

He picks it up, holding it out in front of the owl before staring down at it "I've got an important job for you if you're up to it?" he asks appealing to the owl's sense of pride.

She puffs herself up, giving him a look as though to say stupid question, of course, I'm capable "I need you to deliver this note to the nurse in the hospital wing so she can be prepared to treat Harry. Do you think you can do that?" He says, pointing in the direction of the hospital. The owl hops onto his arm, offering one leg in response. He attaches the parchment carefully to the leg "thank you" he says sincerely before watching as the owl turns, flapping its wings before swooping into the air leaving him with a parting hoot.

He casts one last glance down at Harry, willing him to hang on a little while longer before covering him up with his cloak, making sure he's well hidden before hurrying off back to the castle. He quickly made his way through the castle, being careful to avoid the routes that he remembered using that day in case he runs into his earlier self and rushing past several startled looking teachers on his way. He quickly arrives at the hospital and quietly slips in where Poppy is waiting for him.

She hurries over to him looking concerned and confused "Severus is this your owl that has just been badgering me?"

He smiles wearily "she's a friend" he replies simply waving the matter away as if it's no significance.

"Hm well I didn't think you owned such a magnificent and distinctive bird. Well, what's this all about you bringing a sick child? Surely it's a bit early for any of the students to be here" she huffs as he walks over to one of the beds, folding back his cloak to reveal the small frail looking child cradled in his arms.

She stares down at him in shock "oh my is that?"

"This is Harry" he explains before she interrupts him.

She turns around at this in shock, whatever kind of emergency she was expecting it clearly wasn't this "surely you don't mean the Harry?" she asks trying to peak at the small bundle before looking up at him in shock.

"Yes, Harry Potter" he confirms with only the slight hint of a sneer, his well-practised scowl quickly fading to masked concern as he, lowered him carefully onto the bed, gently pushing his hair back to reveal the infamous lightning bolt scar "I sensed something wasn't right so I went to check on him this morning. I found him locked in a tiny cupboard" he continued sounding disgusted by what he had witnessed.

"No, surely not, a cupboard?!" she exclaims, looking horrified, oh she was certainly going to be having words with Albus, but not before treating Harry and getting a full list of his injuries and ailments to back her up, not to mention a very angry potions master whose anger she could virtually feel simmering barely contained under the surface. Oh yes if wind of this got round to the other teachers, Albus was going to be in some mighty hot water.

He nods, sadly taking a moment to compose himself and reign in his anger before continuing "he was clearly unwell and very confused, he kept babbling about needing to do chores and make breakfast as though he was going to get in trouble. I cast some basic charms to stabilize him before giving him some potions" he explains before ticking off the ones he's administered.

"He is covered in wounds and bruises, some of which appear to be quite old and festering. I suspect he has not been able to take proper care of cleaning himself for quite a while, he's still very weak, and he also appears to be severely underweight and malnourished, I have seen House-elves that were treated better. You think you can heal him?" he asks as she listens in shock, trying to compose herself before nodding and setting to work, performing another diagnostic scan on him and performing other checks.

She quickly casts an eye over the parchment, frowning with concern at the results before looking at him "yes I think so, it will certainly take a long time before he'll recover fully but I think I can heal him and get him stabilized. He's very lucky, mind you that you found him when you did. Thank goodness you decided to check on him, I'm not sure he would have pulled through if he'd been left without treatment much longer" she says.

"I know, we were lucky this time" he agrees solemnly "we should have checked on him, if I had not been so blind and had realised where Albus was placing him I could have rescuced him sooner" he shakes his head in anger, his mind running back to the body of the boy he left behind.

Poppy pauses and places a hand on his shoulder "don't be too hard on yourself, we all trusted that he would be safe there. There is no point dwelling on the past now, we must move forward and ensure he heals and does not have to go back there"

"You are right of course, we must concentrate on protecting him but still, it pains me to think that I could have done more" He gazes down at the boy's small body, he doesn't want to leave him now but, he realises he must go and try to brew the elixir just in case he needs it. He runs a hand through his hair, smoothing it out and pushing it out of his face. He startles as the child's small hand manages to unconsciously find his own, he holds the small hand gently in his own, reluctant to let it go before turning away.

Poppy looks up from her work, looking disapprovingly at him "Severus, you're not going are you? Don't you think you should stay with him? He will be confused when he wakes and grateful to see a familiar face" she asks.

He turns and shakes his head "I hardly think that he'll be grateful to see my face, besides I can't, duty calls. Albus wanted to have one last meeting before the students arrive, the others will need to be informed and then I'll be busy all evening dealing with the new students. Besides, I want to try and brew some more potions for him if I get five minutes to myself" he notes her worried and disappointed look, "listen, I promise I'll be back to check up on him as soon as I can make sure he knows that"

She walks round to him, putting her hand lightly on his arm "make sure you do. I'm sure he'll want to see you when he wakes up. You've done well Severus, I'm glad you found him"

He nods stiffly, acknowledging her praise before turning to leave his black robes billowing behind him. He cautiously heads down to the dungeons realizing this part will be the most dangerous as this is where he'll be most likely to encounter himself.

He pauses outside his private storeroom casting a detection spell to check he's not there or in any of the nearby rooms before entering warily. He checks the list he's copied out and quickly locates the equipment and ingredients he needs. He frowns as he ponders where best to brew the potion, his office and personal quarters are out of the question, far too much risk if his earlier self should happen to return and catch him, then suddenly it hits him that there are some old disused classrooms at the far end of the dungeons. No one's been in them for ages, certainly, he hasn't used them for many years at least he knows he won't be disturbed there he thinks as he checks the time, still, a few hours left he thinks before he needs to return to the present hopefully enough time to brew the elixir and check that Harry is stable he thinks satisfied.

Several hours later he stands back looking down at the freshly brewed elixir with satisfaction and a hint of pride. He never thought he'd have the chance to attempt to make this particular potion and truthfully it's one of the most challenging that he's ever attempted he thinks as he wipes the sweat from his brow if he hadn't been so worried about Harry he would have truly enjoyed the challenge. Still, it's done at last he thinks as he transfers the precious liquid into a vial.

He realises that he does not have enough time to go back up to the hospital now to check on Harry before he has to return to his own time and he dares not risk using the floo, thinking quickly he summons one of the house-elves.

"Oh Professor Snape Sir, how can we is being of service to you Sir?" the little elf asks, looking up at him eagerly.

"I need you to do something for me. Harry Potter is upstairs in the hospital wing being treated by Madam Pomfrey. I need you to go up there and check on him and make sure he's ok"

"Harry Potter is here Sir! Of course, we will do this for you, Sir, uh it is a great honour to be meeting the great Harry Potter. We will check he is alright!" the little elf exclaims excitedly, virtually bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"Yes, yes quite. Now listen carefully. I need you to take this potion with you" he instructs trying to calm him down and stave off a headache as he passes him the potions, "ask the nurse how he is doing. If he is stable then come straight back down to me with that potion, if she thinks he's not going to make it then give her this potion and make sure she gets him to drink it and then come straight back to me. Alright, is that clear?"

"Oh yes Sir I understand I will do this for you right away and check young Master Harry Potter is ok, it will be a great honour" the elf says, nodding eagerly before popping away.

Severus paces nervously back and forth as he waits for the house-elf to return hoping he's done enough and the boy's alright until he's distracted by another pop. He looks up at the elf expectantly "so how is he?" he asks anxiously.

"Oh, it is good news, Sir! Madam Pomfrey says Master Harry is stable Sir, he is still very weak and very tired but he will recover"

Severus sighs in relief, "That is good, thank you. Do you have the potion?" he asks, holding out his hand as the elf nods, reaching into a pocket in its smock.

"She says you must come and see him soon Sir. Master Snape is a hero, he is very brave and kind rescuing Harry Potter" he exclaims happily.

"Alright, alright, I'm hardly a hero" he says quietly, shushing the elf and trying to calm him down in case he attracts unwanted attention.

"No no Sir Master Snape is a hero all the elves are saying so, he is rescuing Harry Potter!"

"Yes, yes alright, what I mean is that I don't particularly want to be attracting attention to myself, trust me people shouldn't see me as a hero. It will help keep him safe if people do not know the circumstances of how he arrived here. You understand it is important. Can I rely on you to keep the fact that I care about him quiet and help me protect him?"

The house-elf looks at him in shock, looking a bit despondent before straightening up intent on carrying out his duty "it is understood we elves will keep it a secret Master Snape we is being proud to help protect young Master Harry Potter"

"Thank you, I am most grateful for your help," he says, dismissing the elf who vanishes with a pop.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3764