To Turn Back Time by Scott Berg
Summary: Alternative ending to Not Enough Time starting at the end of Chapter 1. Having seen Harry Potter in a new light can Severus manage to save the boy who lived
Categories: Healer Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption, Alternate Universe, Injured!Harry, Time Travel
Takes Place: 1st Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Physical Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 10459 Read: 3708 Published: 18 Feb 2022 Updated: 19 Feb 2022
Story Notes:
Alternate ending to Not Enough Time

1. Chapter 1 by Scott Berg

2. Chapter 2 by Scott Berg

3. Chapter 3 by Scott Berg

4. Chapter 4 by Scott Berg

Chapter 1 by Scott Berg
From Not Enough Time Chapter 1:

"Promise you won't let me go, you'll stay with me till the end Dad, I don't want to be alone anymore" he asks nervously, his voice fading.

He hugs his small body pressing him gently up closer to him caressing him "I promise son, I will always be here with you, I'm not leaving you not now, not ever, not now that I've found you at last"

"Thanks, Sev. Love you Dad" he whispers with his last dying breath as his life force leaves him.

"Love you to Harry, my son" he whispers as he feels the last of his life slip away and his body flops limply in his arms. He hugs him to his chest cradling him and allows the tears to flow freely into his messy black hair, releasing so many years of pent up emotions, who would have imagined he could care so much for one small boy. He has had a brief taste of what it is like to be a father to look after Lily's son and give him the love and care he so desperately needed. He could have had a son, could have raised him as his own and now … now he's gone and he never wants to let him go. He hates himself right now as he thinks guiltily how needless his death is and how it could have been prevented if he'd known how he was suffering if he had just taken an interest and not allowed himself to be so blind.

Fawkes leans over the boy shedding a single tear, even that is not enough to heal him now, he joins the man's cries with his shrill call echoing through the castle, throughout the castle students and staff pause as the call cuts through the air sensing a great tragedy has occurred.

He sits with Harry's body resting limply in his arms, unable to comprehend how his young life has ended like this.

Suddenly Severus feels an intense burning pain in his arm. He gasps, hissing with pain, he's not felt anything like this in more than 10 years he thinks with dread, wondering what it could mean as he rolls back his sleeve. The dark mark is barely visible yet the place where he was branded is visibly throbbing. He's jolted out of his thoughts by Minerva's voice.

"Severus look!" he follows her gaze down to Harry's forehead, he notes with horror that his scar appears to be glowing a green tinge coming from it. He looks on in alarm "what is it Severus?" she asks in horrified fascination.

"I don't know. I would guess that it might be some kind of powerful dark magic from that night when he cast the curse on the poor boy"

"Get back!" he cries, pushing her behind him as suddenly the green light appears to explode as a dark inky blackness rises from it, filling the room with a cold chill and an unearthly wailing. He freezes watching the thing with horrified fascination, unable to take his eyes off it as it swirls around them.

It almost seems like there is a face visible in the dark cloud looking around as though it's scenting the air before settling its focus on him as if sensing the energy coming from his dark mark. He stares back transfixed as it moves towards him until he realises its intent, it's headed straight for his open mouth intent on possessing him. Time seems to slow as he feels the tendrils, like cold fog seeping into his bones, caressing him as he hears a familiar hissing voice in his head taunting him, reminding him how weak he is, he failed to save her, a worthless Muggle, a filthy Mudblood the voice tells him a spiteful venomous whisper in his ear. No, not that word! His head throbs in agony as he tries to force the voice out of his head. Eventually, he manages to push the voice out with his magic, roaring in agony as he shouts angrily "get out of my head!"

Gathering his wits together at last he grasps his wand shouting "Protego" as the shield emerges from his wand just in time as the gaseous form slams into it. He looks around for something to contain it. He's about to ask Minerva to transfigure a suitable container when his eyes fall on the now-empty potions flask "Accio flask" he summons it before directing his wand at the gaseous form tricking it into following his energy signature into the flask before slamming a stopper in it and dropping it in disgust allowing it to roll away across the floor.

He collapses back exhausted, covered in a cold sweat, before looking down at the boy still cradled in his arms, that thing came from him? It must have been the Dark Lord's doing, he realises with horror, shivering at the thought that his spirit had somehow laid dormant in him for so many years.

"Severus, what was that, that thing?" He jolts out of his thoughts, looking up at Minerva's pale face with an expression of horror not knowing what to say "it was him wasn't it?" she whispers.

He nods "I fear so it was inside him and it wanted to possess me" he replies shuddering again "it appears he has found a way to live on after death, the Headmaster needs to know about this" they exchange a knowing look.

Minerva places one hand on his shoulder, looking at him with concern, "Severus? Are you alright?"

He looks up slightly at her through red-rimmed tear-stained eyes and a curtain of black hair "no Minerva I'm not ok. I held Lily dying in my arms knowing I was too late to save her, I promised Albus I'd protect him for her. I couldn't protect her, I didn't even get a chance to protect him"

She looks at him in shock, wrapping her arms around him and Harry "oh Severus I never knew, I'm so sorry"

He allows her to comfort him "you were never meant to know, I made Albus swear to keep it a secret to protect all of you in case he returned, if he had learnt my true loyalties it could put all your lives in danger. As for Harry, I didn't want him to know I cared. I expected him to be like his father but I guess I was also worried about how he'd react to me. I thought it would be better to protect him in secret, I didn't count on him touching my heart though"

Meanwhile, Albus hurried down through the corridors, he was engaged in a meeting when Severus Patronus arrived and so didn't notice it until he arrived back in his office. Quickly he found the stone and offered it to his Phoenix Fawkes who seemed to sense the urgency of his task gliding swiftly up and through the corridors. Now he stood in the doorway gazing in shock at the scene that confronted him Minerva and Severus sat next to each other heads hung low as if in grieving, a small dark bundle nestled in the man's arms. No, it couldn't be, Harry!

"Severus, Minerva, what's wrong? What's happened?!" he exclaims, rushing over, eyes on the bundle in his arms "no Harry! What happened, is he alright?" he asks, kneeling in shock opposite them.

Minerva looks away her eyes full of tears not able to look at him, Severus glares at him accusingly his eyes blazing with fury and still shining with tears his voice comes out hoarse but, angry "it's too late Headmaster, he's dead"

"Dead? No, surely Harry can't be dead? How what happened?" he replies in a daze, reeling from the shock news.

"Yes Headmaster, the boy is dead. Dead by the hands of his muggle relatives, no less, he was too far gone for us to heal him" he says, feeling all his pent-up rage rising up to the surface, threatening to explode as the Headmaster stares down at the boy in shock.

With a supreme effort, he suppresses his anger as a thought occurs to him "wait I have an idea. Albus, do you perchance happen to have a time turner in your office?"

He frowns at him "well I would have to check but I think that I may have one that I managed to keep a hold of before the Ministry confiscated them all, fortunately, they have never been able to gain full access to my office"

"How far back do you think you could safely travel using a time turner?" he asks, his mind whirring.

Dumbledore ponders this "well technically you're only meant to use them to go back a few hours but I think you could potentially go back about a day safely, I wouldn't want to push it much more than that though. What were you thinking, my boy?"

"I see" he muses with concern, turning to Poppy, "do you think if I went back a day and brought Harry straight here that would be enough to save him?" he asks.

She looks at him startled before pondering this "it's impossible to say really, he was already so far gone when you found him. He's been left so long without treatment" she muses "I guess that there's at least a chance that I'd be able to stabilize him if you brought him straight here" she says looking at him uncertainly.

Severus nods at this, gazing down at the boy before something catches his eye. He picks up the red stone, turning it and examining it frowning as the light catches off it, an idea already forming in his mind "Severus?" Minerva asked him.

He continues to stare at the stone, voicing his thoughts out loud "if I went back in time I could apparate straight to Harry's house, stabilize him and bring him straight back here for Poppy to treat him. While you're doing that, I could use the stone to attempt to brew the Elixir of Life as a backup plan" he says looking up as he thinks it through the resolve setting on his face.

Dumbledore looks at him intently, weighing the man up "I see, yes that could work, that is a very good plan, Severus. Are you sure you want to do this though to take such a risk for Harry, I was rather under the impression that you hated the boy?"

Severus looks up at him "I vowed that I would do anything to protect the boy, I was blind before but no more, I am prepared to risk my life for him to have another chance to live his own. Besides I did not know him as I do now, how could I hate him after holding him helpless as he was cradled in my arms, I could not live with myself knowing I had the chance to save him and did not take it, I have seen enough death in my life" he says sincerely.

He turns accusingly to face him, "the real question is Albus will you help me to save his life, after all we are in this situation because of a decision you made 10 years ago to place the boy with his relatives, a family so loving that they deliberately and knowingly neglected and abused him to the point of emaciation. An innocent child lies dead because of your actions, I would say the least you can do is help us to make this right and exact justice for Harry so he can have a second chance to live"

Dumbledore looked at him in shock before bowing his head and looking shamefaced and guilty "you are right of course Severus. It is my fault this has happened, I naively assumed I was doing the right thing and giving him the best protection as well as a loving home with his family, I never imagined them to be capable of such cruelty. I thought it would be best if we did not interfere in his upbringing, I see now that we should have done far more to check up on him and ensure his safety. I am heartened to see the change in you, Severus, and I will do whatever I can to make this right so he can, as you say, have a second chance. I will go now and have a look for the time turner in my office and notify you as soon as I can"

"Thank you Albus" he replies tersely as he leaves before rising, picking up the piece of parchment that he had dropped on the floor and turning to Poppy and Minerva. "I will take him down to the hospital then I must return to my quarters to make sure that I've got all the potions I might need to treat him with"
The End.
Chapter 2 by Scott Berg
Poppy went over the parchment with him and they discussed which potions he would need to take with him in order to stabilize Harry based on the readings from the scan, she also pointed out some others that she thought he may need. Severus thanked her curtly grateful for her help and vast knowledge, but aware that time was running short for him to go back and save Harry within a safe window.

A short time later he was ready to begin armed with a time turner supplied by the Headmaster and a veritable first aid kit of selected potions ad other essentials shrunk in his robes he walks outside of the ground and apparates to Little Whinging and finding a discreet spot to activate the time turner he is aware that he will only have a limited time to act when he reaches the desired point in time he turns it back multiple times and sees time running backwards on itself around him thinking how strange it is to see the muggles rushing about there pathetically mundane lives around him in reverse, typical that Petunia would choose such a boringly prim and proper suburb far away from the reaches of the magical world.

When time returns to normal it is early morning, he emerges pocketing the time turner and makes his way over to the address he has been given. He casts Alhomora on the locked door and enters, casting a silencing charm around him, hoping that he can get in and out quickly with Harry without disturbing the rest of the family.

He looks around frowning as he noted the photos on the wall, all of them featuring a fat boy with cruel eyes, an ugly sneer and more features in common with an overfed pig than a child. The repulsive-looking pig boy was the kind of child that only a parent could love and even then that might be pushing it. There were more photos of an equally bloated and very angry looking man whose moustache made him resemble a walrus and a familiar horse-faced woman whose expression was so sour she looked like she'd been constantly sucking Albus's lemon drops, clearly Tooney hadn't aged gracefully. The distinct absence of Harry in any of the photos only served to increase his worry for the boy. He wonders where to start searching before an idea comes to him. Taking out his wand, he casts a quick charm to point him towards Harry.

The wand moved about excitedly before pointing firmly towards the bottom of the stairs, he walks in the direction indicated, frowning as it points firmly at a small padlocked cupboard beneath the stairs. He stares at in confusion for a minute, surely even his relatives would not stoop so low he thinks for a minute before silently cursing as he remembered the state in which he found the boy after just one day. He sighs and casts Alhomora again on the door, bracing himself for the worst before opening the door and casting Lumos softly to illuminate the gloom.

He looks around gasping in shock trying not to cough as he breathes in the putrid smell coming from inside. He casts his wand around the room illuminating shelves full of cleaning supplies and the rough shape of what looked like broken toy soldiers and crayon stubs, neatly arranged in a gloomy corner as if they were his prized treasures. He lets his eyes linger for only a moment before casting the shelves in shadow and moving along the wall, his heart clenches as the light from his wand reveals a sign proudly declaring this to be Harry's Room in the messy colourful scrawl of a child.

Could it really be so, it would be bad enough if the child was locked in here as a punishment as his own father had done to him on occasion but for it to be his bedroom was deplorable beyond measure, what kind of a heartless person would think this tiny cupboard an appropriate room for a child he wondered. He lowered the light further to illuminate the floor and gasped as he spotted a small emaciated body huddled up in the corner of the cupboard on a thin and grubby sagging mattress. Inwardly he groans cursing his infernal relatives for leaving him like this, no wonder he was at death's door when he found him, he looked as though he had been locked in here for days if not weeks with little in the way of food and water.

He reaches in gently rubbing the boy's shoulder and calling his name to try and rouse him. Slowly, reluctantly the boy stirred from his troubled sleep, groaning quietly before startling awake and looking around unfocused in a panic "sorry Uncle Vernon, I must have overslept, I'll get up and start making breakfast now" he manages to stammer nervously before grabbing a very old bent looking pair of glasses and stumbling out of the cupboard tripping over his own feet and causing a startled Severus to move out of his way to avoid being knocked over.

Recovering himself, he quickly gets up, grabbing the boy firmly by the shoulders, turning him around and bringing him back to him "Harry" he calls trying to get this attention.

The small boy cowers away looking at him with unfocused panicked eyes not thinking clearly through his fear and illness "sorry Uncle Vernon, it won't happen again I swear, I'll get started right away, just please don't beat me" he blurts out, whilst trying to get away from him.

"Harry!" he snaps at him to try and get his attention and successfully startling out of his panic. He grasps him firmly by the shoulders to ensure he does not run away before relaxing his grip slightly and lifting his chin so that he's looking at his face. He takes a breath to regain his composure before speaking to him more softly "it's alright I'm not your Uncle. I'm Professor Snape, one of your teachers and I'm here to take you to Hogwarts"

The boy looks at him with wide-eyed wonder "you're here for me? To take me to Hogwarts?" he asks in disbelief. The strange man nods "but I can't, I've got to do my chores first, otherwise I'll get in trouble" he whispers, panicking again and looking frantically to the kitchen.

Severus restrains him, pulling the boy back as gently as he can as he tries to bolt towards the kitchen, noting how he flinches away from him, another sign of the abuse he's suffered at the hands of his so-called loving family. He puts a hand to his temple reminding himself to stay calm and breathe, it's not his fault he reminds himself, the boy's not thinking clearly in his ill fevered state. "Harry, you're sick, all you need to do is rest"

"But …" he starts to protest "but nothing I am taking you to Hogwarts you don't need to worry about your family or your chores. Now then come I need to take a look at you" he says steering him in the direction of the living room, catching him as he stumbles forward unsteadily, he scoops him up deciding that it'll be safer to carry him since his legs are probably weak from lack of use.

He lifts him on the sofa, propping his head up with one of the pillows before casting the diagnostic scan over him again. His eyes flit quickly over the results, they are still shocking and cause for great concern but fortunately they are not quite as bad as when he found him. He sets to work, casting several charms over him to stabilize his breathing, heart rate and other vital signs.

The boy looks up at him questioningly "is that magic sir?"

"Yes, it's a special spell that tells me what's wrong with you so I can treat you" he says distractedly as he works on healing him.

He puts a hand lightly to his forehead. He feels warm, definitely running a fever, he thinks setting out the potions he needs and lifting him onto his lap in a sitting position supporting his head against one arm as he rummages for the correct bottle. "Here drink these, they'll make you feel better" he says encouragingly, deciding to start by giving him a calming draught.

He obliges, looking up at him before pulling a face at the bitter aftertaste "I know they don't taste nice, sorry I probably should have warned you but they'll help you feel better" he explains calmly.

The boy relaxes his head, clearing a little as the potion takes effect "uh Sir I was just wondering, you said you were a teacher, what do you teach?" he asks curiously.

"I teach potions" he replies absently trying to find the next potion he needs.

The boy takes this in thoughtfully "oh will you teach me how to make potions? I heard my Mum was really good, I want to be just like her"

Severus pauses from his task turning to look at him curiously "yes Harry I will teach you how to brew potions just like your Mother, she was very good at potions much like myself" he replies sincerely brushing his messy dark hair out of his face, his dark eyes never leaving his wide green eyes before feeding him more potions one to relieve the pain, a fever reducer and a blood replenisher to replace all the blood he'd lost.

"You promise?"

"Yes Harry I promise" he says with a slight chuckle, "I remember your Mother, I'll turn you into a fine brewer just like her" he reassures him.

The boy looks at him open-mouthed in shock "you knew my Mum?"

"Yes, I did. She was one of my best friends" he replies softly, smiling down at him. She was also my only real friend he recalls sadly thinking of all the Slytherins who were only interested in him for his brains and talent with potions and the dark arts or interested in grooming him as a future Death Eater and stroking his ego.

"Will you tell me more about her?" he asks drowsily as the potions begin to take effect.

"I will tell you all about her, Harry when you are well enough" he assures him.

A smile curls his lips in response as sleep takes hold "promise?" he manages to mumble.

"Yes I promise, now though you need to rest and concentrate on getting better" he says pointedly, giving him a stern look before more gently stroking his cheek.

He pauses sniffing with his long pointed nose. The poor child stinks, clearly he hasn't had much chance to clean himself. Well, that at least is easy to remedy, he thinks carefully casting a Scourgify over his body and clothes and casting some gentle warming charms over him. There that should be better at least and make him more comfortable he thinks before producing a soft warm blanket and wrapping it around him.

He adjusts the boy so he's secure in his arms before standing up, noting again how worryingly light the boy feels and how small he looks nestled in his arms. He's been starved and not just of attention, they'd have to work hard to correct that.

He turns to leave before a thought occurs to him. He'd best take the boy's school things with him since he won't be coming back and he hopes that Harry won't be coming back here any time soon, certainly not if he's got any say in the matter he won't.

He wonders where his things are, mentally cursing that he didn't ask the boy while he was awake, well he doesn't have time to search for his things now, getting his wand out he calls quietly "Accio trunk" before a trunk flies out of the basement towards him. Is this it? he thinks shrinking it down and sticking it in his pocket. He hopes so, wait what was Hagrid saying when he came back after taking Harry for his school supplies, he was certain that he was bragging about something he ponders trying to remember. Unfortunately, he hadn't taken much interest in the conversation at the time, he thinks hard, ah yes that was it he thinks, he was talking about some creature he'd bought for him, an owl he thinks it might have been recalling him boasting about how it was a magnificent snowy white specimen.

Well, there was only one thing for it "Accio owl" he casts again, he'd soon know one way or another if it was an owl or not. A moment later a cage came flying towards him from upstairs, he just about managed to catch it with a free hand, floating the cage in front of him. He wondered what he was going to do with it as he gazed curiously at the snowy owl inside which glared back at him with wide amber eyes looking decidedly affronted at being summoned in such a fashion.

"Ah sorry about that, I didn't exactly have time to come and search for you. Look, I need to get your master Harry to Hogwarts quickly so he can be healed. I'll let you out when we get outside, you can either fly straight there or apparate with me and Harry alright?" he explains to the angry-looking owl.

He steps outside making sure to leave no more traces of his visit before checking the blood wards, he frowns at the results with concern, it appears they are already starting to fail clearly the old coot didn't know as much about the properties of blood wards as he let on, even he with his limited understanding of how they worked understood that they needed to be built on a foundation of love in order for the protection to work. He makes a mental note to mention this to the headmaster later before opening the door to the cage.

The owl stepped out glaring affronted at him and nipping him on the finger causing him to yelp "ow! I said I was sorry" he glares at her nursing the finger. She ignores him choosing to perch on his shoulder, looking down and hooting sadly at the small boy bundled in his arms. "Yes, quite," he grumbled in agreement, "I see chosen to stay with your boy then, clearly you will make him a loyal companion"

She appears to agree with that statement, letting out another sad hoot and looking up at him with imploringly "you're concerned about him too?" he asks putting a hand out warily and lightly stroking her feathers when she showed no sign of nipping him "Don't worry I'll make sure he gets the best care, our healers will do all they can for him" he vows that this time he won't be too late.

"Well in that case if you're coming with me you'd best come under my cloak with him, I've never apparated with animals before I certainly wouldn't want any unexpected mishaps" he warns lifting his cloak off his free arm, the owl obliges hopping down and settling herself against his chest next to the boy, he drapes his cloak back over her before shrinking her cage and adjusting his cloak to cover the boy better to conceal him from prying eyes before apparating away.
The End.
Chapter 3 by Scott Berg
Severus lands them just outside the grounds of Hogwarts, feeling the boy's warmth against his chest and his owl rustling against his chest on the other side. He lifts his cloak to check on them, the boy is still sleeping peacefully with the owl next to him. She gazes up at him looking disgruntled at this undignified way of travelling. He thinks it's probably not a good idea to try walking into Hogwarts concealing a boy and an owl, he'll already look suspicious enough carrying Harry. He has an idea, rummaging in his pocket he finds the parchment from the scan he performed earlier and quickly dictates a note which appears on the other side.

He picks it up, holding it out in front of the owl before staring down at it "I've got an important job for you if you're up to it?" he asks appealing to the owl's sense of pride.

She puffs herself up, giving him a look as though to say stupid question, of course, I'm capable "I need you to deliver this note to the nurse in the hospital wing so she can be prepared to treat Harry. Do you think you can do that?" He says, pointing in the direction of the hospital. The owl hops onto his arm, offering one leg in response. He attaches the parchment carefully to the leg "thank you" he says sincerely before watching as the owl turns, flapping its wings before swooping into the air leaving him with a parting hoot.

He casts one last glance down at Harry, willing him to hang on a little while longer before covering him up with his cloak, making sure he's well hidden before hurrying off back to the castle. He quickly made his way through the castle, being careful to avoid the routes that he remembered using that day in case he runs into his earlier self and rushing past several startled looking teachers on his way. He quickly arrives at the hospital and quietly slips in where Poppy is waiting for him.

She hurries over to him looking concerned and confused "Severus is this your owl that has just been badgering me?"

He smiles wearily "she's a friend" he replies simply waving the matter away as if it's no significance.

"Hm well I didn't think you owned such a magnificent and distinctive bird. Well, what's this all about you bringing a sick child? Surely it's a bit early for any of the students to be here" she huffs as he walks over to one of the beds, folding back his cloak to reveal the small frail looking child cradled in his arms.

She stares down at him in shock "oh my is that?"

"This is Harry" he explains before she interrupts him.

She turns around at this in shock, whatever kind of emergency she was expecting it clearly wasn't this "surely you don't mean the Harry?" she asks trying to peak at the small bundle before looking up at him in shock.

"Yes, Harry Potter" he confirms with only the slight hint of a sneer, his well-practised scowl quickly fading to masked concern as he, lowered him carefully onto the bed, gently pushing his hair back to reveal the infamous lightning bolt scar "I sensed something wasn't right so I went to check on him this morning. I found him locked in a tiny cupboard" he continued sounding disgusted by what he had witnessed.

"No, surely not, a cupboard?!" she exclaims, looking horrified, oh she was certainly going to be having words with Albus, but not before treating Harry and getting a full list of his injuries and ailments to back her up, not to mention a very angry potions master whose anger she could virtually feel simmering barely contained under the surface. Oh yes if wind of this got round to the other teachers, Albus was going to be in some mighty hot water.

He nods, sadly taking a moment to compose himself and reign in his anger before continuing "he was clearly unwell and very confused, he kept babbling about needing to do chores and make breakfast as though he was going to get in trouble. I cast some basic charms to stabilize him before giving him some potions" he explains before ticking off the ones he's administered.

"He is covered in wounds and bruises, some of which appear to be quite old and festering. I suspect he has not been able to take proper care of cleaning himself for quite a while, he's still very weak, and he also appears to be severely underweight and malnourished, I have seen House-elves that were treated better. You think you can heal him?" he asks as she listens in shock, trying to compose herself before nodding and setting to work, performing another diagnostic scan on him and performing other checks.

She quickly casts an eye over the parchment, frowning with concern at the results before looking at him "yes I think so, it will certainly take a long time before he'll recover fully but I think I can heal him and get him stabilized. He's very lucky, mind you that you found him when you did. Thank goodness you decided to check on him, I'm not sure he would have pulled through if he'd been left without treatment much longer" she says.

"I know, we were lucky this time" he agrees solemnly "we should have checked on him, if I had not been so blind and had realised where Albus was placing him I could have rescuced him sooner" he shakes his head in anger, his mind running back to the body of the boy he left behind.

Poppy pauses and places a hand on his shoulder "don't be too hard on yourself, we all trusted that he would be safe there. There is no point dwelling on the past now, we must move forward and ensure he heals and does not have to go back there"

"You are right of course, we must concentrate on protecting him but still, it pains me to think that I could have done more" He gazes down at the boy's small body, he doesn't want to leave him now but, he realises he must go and try to brew the elixir just in case he needs it. He runs a hand through his hair, smoothing it out and pushing it out of his face. He startles as the child's small hand manages to unconsciously find his own, he holds the small hand gently in his own, reluctant to let it go before turning away.

Poppy looks up from her work, looking disapprovingly at him "Severus, you're not going are you? Don't you think you should stay with him? He will be confused when he wakes and grateful to see a familiar face" she asks.

He turns and shakes his head "I hardly think that he'll be grateful to see my face, besides I can't, duty calls. Albus wanted to have one last meeting before the students arrive, the others will need to be informed and then I'll be busy all evening dealing with the new students. Besides, I want to try and brew some more potions for him if I get five minutes to myself" he notes her worried and disappointed look, "listen, I promise I'll be back to check up on him as soon as I can make sure he knows that"

She walks round to him, putting her hand lightly on his arm "make sure you do. I'm sure he'll want to see you when he wakes up. You've done well Severus, I'm glad you found him"

He nods stiffly, acknowledging her praise before turning to leave his black robes billowing behind him. He cautiously heads down to the dungeons realizing this part will be the most dangerous as this is where he'll be most likely to encounter himself.

He pauses outside his private storeroom casting a detection spell to check he's not there or in any of the nearby rooms before entering warily. He checks the list he's copied out and quickly locates the equipment and ingredients he needs. He frowns as he ponders where best to brew the potion, his office and personal quarters are out of the question, far too much risk if his earlier self should happen to return and catch him, then suddenly it hits him that there are some old disused classrooms at the far end of the dungeons. No one's been in them for ages, certainly, he hasn't used them for many years at least he knows he won't be disturbed there he thinks as he checks the time, still, a few hours left he thinks before he needs to return to the present hopefully enough time to brew the elixir and check that Harry is stable he thinks satisfied.

Several hours later he stands back looking down at the freshly brewed elixir with satisfaction and a hint of pride. He never thought he'd have the chance to attempt to make this particular potion and truthfully it's one of the most challenging that he's ever attempted he thinks as he wipes the sweat from his brow if he hadn't been so worried about Harry he would have truly enjoyed the challenge. Still, it's done at last he thinks as he transfers the precious liquid into a vial.

He realises that he does not have enough time to go back up to the hospital now to check on Harry before he has to return to his own time and he dares not risk using the floo, thinking quickly he summons one of the house-elves.

"Oh Professor Snape Sir, how can we is being of service to you Sir?" the little elf asks, looking up at him eagerly.

"I need you to do something for me. Harry Potter is upstairs in the hospital wing being treated by Madam Pomfrey. I need you to go up there and check on him and make sure he's ok"

"Harry Potter is here Sir! Of course, we will do this for you, Sir, uh it is a great honour to be meeting the great Harry Potter. We will check he is alright!" the little elf exclaims excitedly, virtually bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"Yes, yes quite. Now listen carefully. I need you to take this potion with you" he instructs trying to calm him down and stave off a headache as he passes him the potions, "ask the nurse how he is doing. If he is stable then come straight back down to me with that potion, if she thinks he's not going to make it then give her this potion and make sure she gets him to drink it and then come straight back to me. Alright, is that clear?"

"Oh yes Sir I understand I will do this for you right away and check young Master Harry Potter is ok, it will be a great honour" the elf says, nodding eagerly before popping away.

Severus paces nervously back and forth as he waits for the house-elf to return hoping he's done enough and the boy's alright until he's distracted by another pop. He looks up at the elf expectantly "so how is he?" he asks anxiously.

"Oh, it is good news, Sir! Madam Pomfrey says Master Harry is stable Sir, he is still very weak and very tired but he will recover"

Severus sighs in relief, "That is good, thank you. Do you have the potion?" he asks, holding out his hand as the elf nods, reaching into a pocket in its smock.

"She says you must come and see him soon Sir. Master Snape is a hero, he is very brave and kind rescuing Harry Potter" he exclaims happily.

"Alright, alright, I'm hardly a hero" he says quietly, shushing the elf and trying to calm him down in case he attracts unwanted attention.

"No no Sir Master Snape is a hero all the elves are saying so, he is rescuing Harry Potter!"

"Yes, yes alright, what I mean is that I don't particularly want to be attracting attention to myself, trust me people shouldn't see me as a hero. It will help keep him safe if people do not know the circumstances of how he arrived here. You understand it is important. Can I rely on you to keep the fact that I care about him quiet and help me protect him?"

The house-elf looks at him in shock, looking a bit despondent before straightening up intent on carrying out his duty "it is understood we elves will keep it a secret Master Snape we is being proud to help protect young Master Harry Potter"

"Thank you, I am most grateful for your help," he says, dismissing the elf who vanishes with a pop.
The End.
Chapter 4 by Scott Berg
Finally, exhausted from the long day he allows himself to collapse back into one of the chairs in relief, it's been an exhausting few hours he thinks glad that he's managed to get to Harry in time to get him the help he needed to recover. He examines the precious vial of elixir, grateful that he hasn't had to use it after seeing the malicious spirit inside the boy.

He makes a note that if he makes a full recovery from the horrendous treatment he's received at the hands of his cursed muggle relatives one of the first things he'll do other than to fight for him to never go back there is to research what that thing could have been and perhaps more importantly how he can safely exorcise it from him in which case he might still need the elixir until then he'll have to make sure no one knows he has it and find somewhere to keep it safe from prying eyes. He checks his watch, time to go back to the present he thinks.

He spins the time turner back and is momentarily surprised to find himself sitting at his desk watching a class of nervous students preparing their first potions. He muses that this return to the normal mundane routine must mean that he'd been successful otherwise he would presumably have found himself back in the bathroom clutching a dying boy.

He glanced down again at his watch, it was almost lunchtime he thought before checking the details of the lesson and dismissing the class absent-mindedly making sure to assign them their homework assignment. He waited impatiently for the last students to trail out before making his way hurriedly up to the hospital keen to check for himself that Harry was indeed alright.

He looked around before spotting the headmaster seated by Harry's bed. He schooled his expression into his normal face of cold indifference and striding purposely across to them. Albus turned to him with a warm smile before summoning an extra chair next to him.

"Ah Severus, I was wondering when you'd be stopping by. I hear that we have you to thank for rescuing young Harry" he said softly, indicating the sleeping boy. He looked more at peace now, his skin had more colour yet he still looked so small and vulnerable, it made his heart clench and the anger rise inside him to think of the deplorable state he'd found him in but he still had a chance he reminded himself not like the other Harry he'd left in the bathroom, this boy would survive, he had to.

"Yes, well, kindly keep that fact to yourself, it would not do for word to get out that I care about Potter of all people" he snapped back with a slight sneer. The two men exchanged a knowing look before the older man nodded with a sigh.

"Yes, I suppose you're quite right my boy, it could be quite problematic for someone in your position if word got out. Don't worry my boy, I will ensure that no one knows how much you care for young Harry"

He held his mentor's gaze for another long moment before Severus glanced down at the fragile young boy trying to control the heightened feelings of relief he felt at seeing him sleeping peacefully, a contented look on his face. "how is he?" he enquires quietly.

"Oh I believe there is still a way to go but it seems like he is doing much better. It seems that he was most worried when he woke up to find you gone, Poppy informs me that she had quite a job calming him down" he told him eyes twinkling.

"Really, he was asking for me?" he asks stunned into disbelief at the thought that someone else could be so worried by his absence.

Just as he is pondering this the boy begins to stir, his green eyes blinking as he looks around him groggily before settling on Severus and taking him in as if not believing he is real, he reaches out a hand to carefully touch his cheek as though to check he's not an illusion "you came back!" he cried excitedly.

"Of course, I would not abandon you" he assures him softly, feeling shivers run through him at the child's gentle touch and running a finger gently over his hair, pushing it back off his face.

"I wondered, that is to say, are you my Dad is that why you came back for me?" he asked shyly, eyes full of hope.

Severus looks at him in shock, before smiling, remembering how another Harry asked him that before "what's so funny?" Harry asked, looking confused and annoyed at not understanding the joke.

"It is nothing, simply that you asked me that before" at his confused expression he explains "you probably don't remember as you were quite ill and feverish. I'm not your Dad, at least not your real Dad" James would be horrified at the idea he thought feeling more than a little smug satisfaction at the thought before noting how Harry's whole posture changed sagging with disappointment.

"But I would very much like to be your Dad if you will have me that is" he holds up a hand to interrupt his excited response. I don't need you to respond now in fact I would prefer it if you would take your time to think about it and get to know me first so you can be sure that this is what you really want"

"Severus are you sure that's wise?" Dumbledore interjects startling Harry, Severus however appears unfazed and doesn't even turn to face him.

He gritted his teeth trying not to display his anger in front of Harry "yes I am and I refuse to discuss this now in front of Harry. The boy has been through enough, he needs rest and assurance that he is safe and loved, not the stress of listening to the two of us arguing over his future"

The old man has the decency to look abashed at this dressing down "yes very well Severus I suppose you are quite right, it would perhaps be best discussed in private instead of distressing Harry unnecessarily"

"But I'm fine, I'm feeling much better honest, besides it concerns me"

"You are most assuredly not fine, you were very ill and emaciated when I found you and I guarantee that you would be dead now if I had not rescued you. Right now the only thing you need to be concerning yourself with is getting better" he says expression softening "besides, I will make sure to inform you of the outcome of our discussion when you have recovered, your opinion is very important to me and I will not make any decisions about your future without your consent alright?" Harry stared at him for a minute angrily before nodding begrudgingly.

"Good well now that's sorted I think I should leave you two alone to talk, I'm certain Harry has plenty of questions for you, Severus I will expect you this evening in my office. Harry, I wish you a speedy recovery, I hope it won't be long before you're enjoying Hogwarts for yourself " Dumbledore said smiling and winking at Harry, Severus merely inclined his head to indicate that was agreeable before turning back to face the nervous child expectantly.

Severus focused his attention again on the child who was now beginning to look drowsy. He decided that this conversation may be best left till the evening when he had rested more particularly since he would have classes to teach soon "I have to go soon to teach classes and you need to rest"

"But I'm not tired and he said you'd answer my questions" he complained trying to suppress a yawn.

"I will this evening, I will come as soon as I can" he said pointedly "but first you need to rest otherwise Madam Pomfrey will surely have my hide, she takes the health of her patients very seriously and does not stand for anyone tiring them out besides it will give you a chance to think what you wish to ask me. First, though I heard that you were worried about me, did you really think that I would abandon you?"

The boy blushes with embarrassment and looks at him, unable to hold his gaze long before nodding nervously "well yeah kind of. I woke up and everything was strange and scary. I didn't know where I was or where you were. I thought you'd abandoned me, everyone else does. I thought I was back there" he manages, beginning to shed tears.

Severus watches in shock, of course, how could he have been so stupid as to think that he wouldn't suffer from abandonment issues particularly after waking up in a strange place, this only reinforced the need for him to have a guardian who would understand his needs and provide him with reassurances. He still wasn't sure someone with his past would make a good parent but his own childhood had in many ways mirrored Harry's he could understand how he had suffered and he felt that he could help him heal.

He reaches out, gently drawing him close to him, allowing him to sob into his chest, sensing he needs the reassuring contact. He gives him a moment, rubbing the small of his back carefully over the dressings, he can feel, "I see. I'm sorry Harry. I didn't mean to upset you or worry you, circumstances would not allow me to visit sooner. I should have realized though how scared you'd be waking up here on your own. You know I wouldn't have left you without a good reason?" Harry shrugged refusing to look him in the eye.

He pauses, allowing him to calm a bit more "Harry didn't the nurse tell you where I was?" he asks.

The boy looks up at him still sniffling and wipes a hand across his eyes, Severus summons a hanky helping him to wipe the tears and snot from his face before instructing him to blow his nose. Looking a bit more composed, Harry thinks for a moment before replying timidly "she said you were making potions Sir"

"That's right, I was making potions. You know why?" he shakes his head "I was making some very special potions to make you feel better. I was worried about you and wanted to make sure that we had everything we needed and that we didn't run out, that's why I had to leave you. I wanted to come and visit you sooner but things have been well busy with school starting. I had to deal with settling in all the new students and teaching classes this morning. I'm sorry I couldn't come sooner, I would never abandon you or leave you without good reason ok?"

He nods "you were making potions just for me?" he says shocked that anyone would be worried about him or care so much about him to make potions just for him, the strange-looking man nods sincerely "will you teach me how to make potions?"

"Yes, I was making special potions to help you get better and yes I will teach you to make potions when you're better, I'm sure you'll be a natural just like your Mother. Which reminds me that you need your rest young man. Be good and sleep, I will be back shortly" he said pointedly to the boy who was now staring at him in wide-eyed astonishment, adjusting his blankets for him and setting his glasses on the cabinet before gently running a hand through his messy hair as he laid back against the pillow. He stayed like that for a minute, green eyes staring up at him watching as he slowly drifted to sleep no doubt dreaming of his Mother and brewing potions he mused as he reluctantly he left him with the silent promise that he would return.

Later:

"Sir!"

"Harry, I see you are excited to see me, did you sleep well" he nodded in response. He considered asking if the boy had eaten much but given his emaciated state it seemed like a redundant question as it would take time for him to build his appetite up hence why he was making up special nutrient potions to supplement his meals.

"So what did you want to know?" he asked uneasily "Why?" "You will have to be more specific" "Oh, I mean, uh why did you come to rescue me when no one else cared?"

"Ah, I see. Well you see I made a promise to protect you" he says simply, Harry looks at him blankly, he realised he's going to have to explain it further "I realised I'd been neglecting my duties towards you. I was unable to offer you the home you needed when your parents died and the Headmaster said he'd found you a loving home, I'd always assumed you were safe and that your family loved you and spoilt you we all thought you were safe and loved. When I found you living in those conditions it tore me up, it made me so angry that they'd been treating you so badly. I want to make things right"

"Ok, but I still don't get why" he said looking confused.

Severus sighed, he wasn't sure how much he was ready to share with him but he supposed he'd have to tell him at some point, if he was going to adopt Harry he wanted to be honest with him and that meant telling him everything even about his dark past and hope that Harry could forgive him his mistakes.

"Your Mother and I were friends, best friends. She was the only one who truly cared about me, unfortunately, I made a lot of bad choices, I upset her greatly and we parted ways, I made the wrong choice but I never forgot her. I made a grave mistake, I chose to follow the man who would kill your parents, he offered me what I thought I wanted power, recognition and acceptance, it was not what I anticipated. When I realised my mistake it was too late, he had heard a prophecy that a child would be his downfall and he believed you to be the child. When I learnt this I felt responsible so I appealed to the Headmaster for forgiveness and begged him to save your Mother, all of you whatever it took, I agreed to be a spy for the light, anything to make amends for my past. When she died I was distraught, I agreed to protect you but I had no say in where you were placed nor did I anticipate that you would be treated so deplorably, I apologise for my mistakes, I should have done more for you"

Harry stares at him with wide green eyes looking shocked "I'm sorry, I didn't intend to say all that I have made a lot of mistakes and I'd understand if you hate me but I want you to know the whole truth, nothing hidden" he reassures him.

He looks thoughtful for a minute "you said you supported Voldemort, you don't support him now, do you?"

Severus winces at the name "no I do not, I have not done for a long time and I would prefer it if you did not call him by that name. A lot of my housemates were loyal, they shared his beliefs, they were very persuasive. However, I realised quite quickly I had made a mistake, I did not, I could not share his visions for the wizarding world nor could I kill in cold blood. When I learned he was targeting you and your parents it was the last straw. However, and this is important, none of his followers know that I switched sides although some doubted my loyalty"

He paused bracing himself for the difficult part of the conversation "there are those who believe that the Dark Lord is not truly gone that he is only waiting, gathering strength and biding his time till he finds a way to return. I do not say this to scare you but if he does and he or his followers learnt of my true loyalty it could put my life and yours in danger that is why I can not be seen to care for you in public, you must remember that if I appear cold or even cruel to you it is only an act" he said dark eyes boring intensely into Harry'sown until he nodded his understanding before he relaxed his gaze and gently ruffled his hair.

"You knew my parents what were they like?" Harry asked nervously.

"Your Mother was kind and gentle, but also brave and fierce, she did not judge people. She was very talented particularly with charms and she shared my passion for potions. Your Father and I did not get along, he was not kind to me but he was brave and popular and cared about his friends. He was skilled with Transfigurations and played as Seeker for his house team. They loved you very much"

"You cared a lot about my Mother didn't you?"

"Yes, she was my first friend, my best friend, perhaps even my only friend. I cared deeply for her, I still do, she stood by me when no one else would, she tried to warn me I was on the wrong path but I thought I knew best, I realise now she was right. I regret hurting her, death devastated me. I cared about her and I care about you very much, never doubt that"

"Will you tell me more about her?"

"Yes, when you are feeling better"

"And you want me to be your son?"

"Yes, if that's what you want? I could be your guardian if you prefer, or we can look at finding someone else if you don't want me, but I would very much like to be the one to take care of you. I have never had a chance to be a Father, I have wasted enough time, I would very much like to rectify that, I think it is what Lily would have wanted as well" he thinks hoping he's right wondering if she ever forgave him. In another life it could have been him and Lily raising Harry as their child if he hand't been such an idiot.

"My Mother?" he nods.

"I think you're right, I'd like that too, to be your son, and to have a real Father, I don't remember what it's like to have a real family or parents, I'd like to though" he clarifies.

Harry looked thoughtful for a minute then out of the blue "I forgive you"

"What?" Severus looked up stunned, thinking he must have heard wrong.

"Well it's like you said you made a lot of mistakes but you also changed, you're doing your best to make up for your bad choices. You cared a lot about my Mum even when you hurt her and you rescued me and promised to protect me, you're even willing to make me you way I see it is that someone who does all that can't be right? I'd rather have a real Dad who has to pretend to hate me than live with the Dursley's who I know truly hated me for existing and having magic" he said smiling innocently at him.

It takes time for the words to penetrate, Harry wants this, he wants him perhaps as much as he does. What is happening to him he wonders in disbelief, only a day ago he hated the boy on sight because he assumed that he would mirror his Father in more than just looks now he sees more of himself than Potter in the boy to the point that he wants to adopt him

"I don't believe it, thank you, it means a lot that you've accepted me and trust me to look after you, I would be honoured to do so and I will do everything I can to make it happen" he says numbly "but I still think you need to take your time to think about this and make sure it's what you really want" he sees the look of disappointment in his face and gently lifts his chin up so he is looking into is eyes "I promise you that I am not going anywhere, I will always care for you no matter what decision you make, I merely want to make sure that you are certain in your decision and not rushing into anything simply because I am the first one to care about you alright"

He gazed into the black eyes and slowly nodded "there's still one thing I don't understand though"

"Go on"

"Well, I still don't get how you knew to find me"

"That is something I'm not sure I can explain to you, I don't even know the answer myself. I guess I simply had a feeling or a vision that there was something wrong, that you needed help and that I needed to check on you if only to satisfy myself that you were ok"

"Kind of like a wizard sense?"

He had to smile at that, children and their imaginations "yes I suppose you could call it that if you wish, the important thing is that I found you before it was too late"

"I'm glad you found me too" Harry said smiling.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3764