A Life Unplanned by TiffCutshall
Summary: Harry has just returned to Privet Drive after his sixth year. Shaken, scared, angry, and feeling utterly alone. However, the Dursley’s, more particularly Vernon, takes things too far and looses his temper with Harry after he wakes up screaming a week after returning. This one event now has changed the course of a plan that Lily had made nearly fifteen years ago and causes Harry and Severus’s worlds to be turned upside down. Can the two come together as the family Lily had wanted?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Out of Character Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry, New Identity!Harry, Resorting
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Physical Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 22342 Read: 8490 Published: 09 May 2022 Updated: 29 Oct 2023
Prologue by TiffCutshall
Author's Notes:
This is my attempt at a Severitus Challenge fic. Just so you guys know, this story does NOT really follow cannon so no complaining that something does or doesn’t happen. Severus will also not really be in character either and again no complaints. This is my story so deal with it or don’t read it. Your choice.
Prologue


Godric’s Hollow ~ June


“Lily, are you sure about this?” James Potter asked, pacing the living room.
“James, what do you think will happen if it was discovered that Severus and I are married and that the baby I now carry is his son?” Lily answered sadly, her hands resting over her pregnant belly.
James cursed silently. He knew what would happen, but he still didn’t like this. Severus Snape was after all his cousin for Merlin’s sake. He had been Severus’s best man when he and Lily married a year ago.
“Lil, what does Severus say about all this?” James sighed. When Lily remained silent, James looked at her. “Lily?”
“I…I felt…it would be best if…Severus didn’t remember.” Lily whispered.
“WHAT!” James cried.
“James, please, this is hard enough. When I made this decision, I went to Albus. As we speak, Albus is meeting with Severus. He will place a modified memory spell on Severus. It’s not permanent. We both know that you and I are marked for death. Should the worst happen, and Voldemort kills us, plans are made for Harry.
“Should we die, and Harry survive, the spell on Severus, as well as the charms I will place on Harry when he’s born will be removed on Harry’s seventeenth birthday. If we survive the war and defeat Voldemort, me and Albus will remove them ourselves and everything will go on as it should.” Lily explained.
James dropped heavily into the chair across from her. He never imagined when he agreed to this false marriage with Lily to protect her and his cousin that it would come to this. And why? All because of some damned prophecy. And to make matters worse, this was LILY’S idea and Severus was clueless.
“I don’t think I can do this Lily. He’s my cousin, my blood, my best friend.” James breathed.
“How do you think I feel? This is killing me, but I will NOT risk my husband and my son. I have already written two letters that will be magically delayed. One to Severus and one to Harry. Both letters explain what I and Albus have done today. I have also told Albus that if at any time BEFORE Harry’s seventeenth birthday he feels that something is wrong with Harry, he can remove the spells and charms at once. The letters are in Albus’s possession and if he removes them before he will give the letters to them.” Lily stated.
“Who else knows about this?” James sighed.
“Just you, me, Albus and Remus. I knew it would be pointless to tell Sirius since he doesn’t even know Severus and I are married. Those two still hate each other and I don’t see that changing anytime soon. Do you?” Lily answered.
“No, I don’t. Alright, so here’s my stipulation to your plan. I will agree under two conditions. One, while Sirius will be publicly made Harry’s godfather, Remus will also be his second godfather but only the three of us will know. Not even Albus will be told.” James said.
“Agreed.” Lily nodded.
“And two, you will finish the spell that will remove that damned Dark Mark from Severus. I knew my Uncle Tobias was a bastard but to force his only son to join is…finish the spell and give Albus the instructions. When the spell is removed, it will protect not only Severus but you and his’ son.” James ordered.
“I’m nearly done with it. I figure another month at the latest.” Lily agreed.
“Merlin help us all.” James prayed, burying his face in his hands.


~0000~


Hogwarts


Severus walked into Albus’s office. He was a bit confused as to why he was being summoned. After all, the term had just ended, and he desperately wanted to get home to his wife. His precious Lily. He had not seen her since October when he and her said their final goodbyes. Only a week ago, James had written to him telling him that he had planned for Severus to spend a week with Lily. Severus pushed those thoughts away and knocked on the door.
“Ah, Severus. Please, come in my boy.” Albus said, smiling gently.
“You wanted to see me Albus?” Severus asked, taking a seat.
“Yes, this won’t take long. Lemon drop?” Albus replied.
“Ugh, no thank you. How can you stand those things?” Severus sneered.
Albus merely chuckled before popping one of the candies into his mouth. “Severus, I asked you here because Lily told me to.”
“Lily?” Severus arched a brow.
Albus sighed and rose from his seat. He rounded the desk to stand in front of his Potions Master. “Yes. My boy, we know this war is escalating and quickly. Lucky for us, Voldemort has not heard the prophecy. However, he is aware of it, which is why he has targeted your wife and cousin. It is fear for you and…”
“And what?” Severus pushed.
“Fear for you and the future you two planned that has driven Lily to this choice. My boy, when you leave this office, you will have no memories of having been married to Lily. Your memories will reflect a much different time here at Hogwarts and I am sad to say, a much…different time with James.” Albus stated.
“What the hell are you talking about? I could NEVER forget that I am married to Lily and that I love her!” Severus roared.
“I never said you would forget your love for her, merely your current situation with her. You will only remember that she is married to James.” Albus explained.
“Albus, you have finally lost it. I’m leaving.” Severus hissed, before spinning on his heel.
“I’m so sorry my boy. Please forgive me.” Albus whispered before casting the spell that Lily had created.


~0000~


November 1st


Albus cradled the sleeping baby in his arms as he and Minerva walked toward the house. His heart breaking even more. Just twenty-four hours ago young Harry had lost his mother, cousin, and a godfather. The baby’s father, completely unaware of the truth. All because Lily had wanted to keep her son and husband safe.
“You can’t seriously think to leave him with these people. I’ve been watching them all day. They are the worst sort of muggles imaginable. They…” Minerva stated.
“Are the only family he has.” Albus finished. ‘As far as the world is concerned anyway. Oh Lily, let us hope your plan and sacrifice were worth it.’
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3779