A Life Unplanned by TiffCutshall
Summary: Harry has just returned to Privet Drive after his sixth year. Shaken, scared, angry, and feeling utterly alone. However, the Dursley’s, more particularly Vernon, takes things too far and looses his temper with Harry after he wakes up screaming a week after returning. This one event now has changed the course of a plan that Lily had made nearly fifteen years ago and causes Harry and Severus’s worlds to be turned upside down. Can the two come together as the family Lily had wanted?
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape > Severitus Challenge Main Characters: Dumbledore, Hermione, McGonagall, Original Character, Remus, Ron, Sirius
Snape Flavour: Out of Character Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Hospitalization, Injured!Harry, New Identity!Harry, Resorting
Takes Place: 7th summer
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Bullying, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Physical Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: No Word count: 22342 Read: 8475 Published: 09 May 2022 Updated: 29 Oct 2023
Chapter 2 by TiffCutshall

Chapter 2

 

 

Severus dropped back into his chair in complete shock. He looked to Albus, but the older wizard couldn’t bring himself to even meet his gaze. Severus then turned and looked at Remus. “He’s…he’s, my son?”

Remus sighed and nodded. He walked over to Albus’s desk and picked up one of the letters then handed it to Severus. “Yes. This whole…mess was thought up by Lily of all people. This letter will explain it all. There is also one for Harry, but it will be a few days I gather before he will be up to reading it.”

Severus took the letter. With shaking hands, he opened it. He felt the tears almost immediately at seeing the familiar flowing handwriting of Lily. He closed his eyes and took a calming breath before reading the letter.

 

My Dearest Husband,

If you’re reading this, sadly I have had to implement my plan to keep you and our son Harry safe. You must be absolutely confused at reading those words. Again, I am at fault for that as well. Once James and I went into hiding, Albus placed a modified memory charm on you.

It is one I created specifically for this purpose. The spell has altered your memories of your time at Hogwarts. What you remember is not the truth. Well, the parts not pertaining to what your father did to you and what he made you do.

I am referring to your memories regarding me, James, and Remus. What you remember about Sirius is mostly true, with a few tweaks. You will remember that I left you for your cousin. Severus, I would never do that. James was your best man at our wedding four months after we graduated Hogwarts.

In fact, James was livid when I told him of this plan. He said he would only go along with it under two conditions. The first being that I complete a spell that will remove the Dark Mark and set you free. The other is that Remus be named Harry’s other Godfather. Everyone knows that Sirius will be Harry’s Godfather. The only ones who know about Remus are me, James, and Remus.

I agreed. The spell to remove the Dark Mark will be complete by the time you receive this letter and Albus has it. He is to perform the spell once he restores your memories. This letter, along with the one to Harry should be delivered just before Harry’s seventeenth birthday.

By midnight on his seventeenth birthday, the charms that concealed his true appearance will begin to ware off. I have also instructed Albus that if BEFORE that time, if Harry is placed in danger, he is to deliver these letters, restore your memories.

Severus, I hope with all of my heart that you and our son can forgive me for this. I am scared for you both and this was the only way I could think of to keep you both safe. If I am right and James and I are indeed dead, Harry will be given to my sister Petunia. I hope she still has enough compassion in her to take him in and care for him.

Forgive me. I love you,

Lily E. Snape

 

Severus re-read the letter three times before finally looking up at Albus. “You…you AGREED to this?”

“Yes.” Albus answered softly, his voice revealing his shame and guilt.

“I want my memories back! Now!” Severus hissed.

Albus did not hesitate and withdrew his wand. Severus refused to take his eyes off the older wizard as the spell was reversed. Severus clenched his fists as his true memories bombarded his mind. He still did not look away from Albus. For nearly ten minutes, Severus’s mind rearranged itself. Once his full memories had been restored, he let out a shaky breath.

“Now…remove the Mark.” Severus ordered, pulling up the sleeve of his left arm.

Silently, Albus rounded his desk and stood before Severus. He pointed his want at the skull embedded in Severus’s forearm. With a few flicks and a few muttered words, the Mark glowed black. Severus tensed as he felt the cursed tattoo heat up then rip itself from his body. When he looked down, the place the thing had been was once again smooth and blemish free.

“Severus I…” Albus began.

“Not one word. I need to go and sit with my son. I also need to calm myself before I can be in your presence again Albus.” Severus stated.

Albus nodded. He turned toward his desk, picked up the letter for Harry and handed it to Severus. Severus took the letter then faced Remus. The two stood there facing each other for several long moments.

“Severus, I was against this, as was James, from the moment we heard what Lily was planning. By the time I got here, Albus had already cast the spell. The moment Lily told James; he wrote to me. I still have the letter and the paperwork that names myself as Harry’s other Godfather, alongside Sirius.” Remus said.

“Bring them to the hospital wing. Harry will want to see them after he is told everything.” Severus instructed.

Remus nodded and walked over to the fireplace. Severus turned on his heel and left just as the werewolf vanished. As he headed back to the hospital wing, his mind was a whirlwind with what had transpired.

‘Lily, why? Why did you do this? All this time I could have not only protected our son but raised him!’ He thought angrily.

 

 

~0000~

 

 

Harry groaned as his eyes fluttered open. Where was he? He frowned, then it all came rushing back. His nightmare, Uncle Vernon attacking him, Dumbledore and Snape rescuing him. Turning his head, he could make out someone, actually two people, sitting at his bedside. Slowly he reached over and felt his glasses.

“Here, let me.” A familiar voice said.

“Professor Snape?” Harry asked as his glasses were slid on.

“Yes, it’s me.” Severus nodded. “How are you feeling?”

“Um, confused. Sore. How long have I been out? And where am I?” Harry answered.

“You’re at Hogwarts. As for how long you’ve been out, you’ve been here for nearly four days now.” Severus answered.

Harry then saw who was sitting next to Severus. “Remus?”

Remus leaned forward and smiled, “Yes Harry. Albus got me after he got your things from…from that house. Severus told me how he found you.”

Harry shuddered as the memory of Vernon attacking him washed over him. He closed his eyes and took a slow breath, trying to push the fear away. His eyes snapped open when he felt someone take his hand. He was shocked to find that it was Severus.

“You’re safe now…Harry.” Severus aid gently.

“Did…did you just call me Harry?” Harry stammered.

“Harry, there’s something that you need to be told. It involves you and me.” Severus sighed.

“Let’s get you a little more comfortable and Severus and I will explain.” Remus added, moving to help Harry sit up and prop several pillows behind him. “Harry, we need you to keep an open mind about what we are about to tell you. Can you do that for me?”

“Um, I…well, I can try.” Harry answered.

“Good.” Remus smiled. “Severus, you should start.”

Severus ran a hand through his hair. “Harry, this is…you see, the day Albus and I brought you here, I was told this. What I’m about to tell you is going to sound farfetched, so just bear with me alright?” When Harry nodded, Severus continued. “While Poppy was working on you, I went to Albus’s office.

“He returned and had Remus with him. It was then that he gave me a letter from your mother Lily. The letter said that you are not in fact the son of James, but you are MY son. Mine and your mother’s.”

“What!” Harry gasped.

“Harry, it’s true. You see, James Potter was my cousin…no, he was more than that. He was my best friend, my brother. Your mother and I started dating during our fourth year here. While Sirius wasn’t too thrilled, James and Remus were. After we graduated, we were married in secret by Albus. James was my best man and Remus was a witness. Only the five of us knew.

“To the public, Lily and James were married. It was done because of my father, Tobias Snape. He had forced me to take the Dark Mark the summer before my sixth year. James was furious and wanted to kill him for it. That was when he suggested that publicly, he and Lily would begin dating.” Severus paused, letting this sink in for Harry.

Harry sat there stunned. He looked from Severus to Remus and back to Severus. Both men were in turn watching him. It was then that Harry saw the letter that Severus was holding. Was this all true? Was he ACTUALLY Severus Snape’s son?

“I made the decision that I would spy for the Order. I had no choice in taking the Mark so I figured I would try and make some good come out of it. Your mother and I had been married a short time when that prophecy was made. The prophecy says that Voldemort would mark his equal. That this child would be born at the end of July and would have a power that Voldemort wouldn’t have.

“What I didn’t know then was that Lily was pregnant with you. James did but had not had the chance to tell me before he and Lily went into hiding. The day it was decided they would go into hiding, Lily made a plan of her own. She somehow convinced Albus to go along with it. Albus called me to his office and cast a modified memory charm that she created.

“James was livid and told Remus. By the time Remus received the owl from James, the spell had been cast and I remembered a very different time at Hogwarts. I remembered me and James being rivals and not friends. I remembered HIM marrying Lily not me.” Severus explained.

Remus decided to continue from this point. “Harry, I know this seems impossible, but I can assure you it’s true. When I got here, I confronted Albus. I was furious that he had agreed to do this. The only reason James agreed was if Lily accepted his two conditions. One, she finish a spell that would remove the Dark Mark from Severus. The second was that I was also named your Godfather along with Sirius. Lily agreed. With the letter telling me what Lily had done, there was also the formal paperwork naming me your second Godfather.

“Before you ask, Sirius knows nothing about this. He and Severus have never gotten along, and he never fully accepted them being together. He always hoped that Lily and James would get together. Anyway, when James and Lily were attacked that night, Albus said he was taking you to…to those people.

“I begged him not to. I remembered that Petunia hated magic, and I feared what would happen to you if you were left with them. Albus said that again that had been part of Lily’s plan. I tried to talk him out of it, to have him reverse the memory charm on Severus but he refused.” Remus stated.

Harry was stunned. All this time he had been told that he was an orphan when it was not true. He in fact had a father that was alive and well. Harry looked over at Severus and found the man, his FATHER, looking back at him. Harry opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

“Harry, I know this is hard to hear. All your life you were told that you were the son of James Potter. These last six years I have treated you…there is no excuse for my treatment of you. I know you must hate me.” Severus replied. He reached out and handed Harry the letter. “Lily wrote this for you. Remus and I will leave you to read it in private.”

Harry took the letter, his hand shaking. “I…I don’t know what…to even believe anymore.”

“Harry, read Lily’s letter. It’s seven in the evening now. If you would be willing, Severus and I can come back in the morning after breakfast and the three of us can talk some more. Alright?” Remus suggested.

“Alright.” Harry nodded.

Remus and Severus nodded and rose. With one last smile at him, the two turned and exited the hospital wing. Once more alone, Harry looked down at the letter. His name was written in beautiful flowing script. Deciding to just get it over with, he opened the letter.

 

My beloved son Harry,

Harry, if you are reading this, you have just been told the truth. I hope it was your father, Severus, that tells you this. You are seventeen now, and if you have this letter, that means the plan I set in motion just before you were born was followed.

You must have so many questions, doubts, and anger. To discover that your life until now has been a lie. A lie that I started to protect you and your father. I cannot even begin to imagine how Severus has treated you these past years at Hogwarts. You must not be too hard on him, seeing as how up until now, he has believed you to be the son of James and that I left him for his cousin.

My darling boy, I would give anything to have been able to watch you grow up. To raise you with Severus. He never even knew I was pregnant when the prophecy was made as James, and I were already in hiding.

You must be so angry at me, at Albus, for this deception. Just as Severus must be. Harry, my son, do not blame your father. If you have received this letter, know that his true memories have been restored and that blasted Mark his father forced upon him has been removed. You must also understand that while his memories have been returned, he still has the memories of how he has treated you these last four years.

I beg you to give him a chance. Get to know one another. Let him be the father he always wanted to be. He and I talked of having a family. Had he been allowed to raise you; I have no doubt that he would have been an amazing father.

Now, onto your appearance. The day you were born I placed charms on you to conceal your true appearance. You were a blend of Severus and I, and anyone who would have seen you would have no doubt that you are his son.

You have my eyes, but you have your father’s hair. I would like to think you would be built much like Severus. Tall, lean. I suspect you would have inherited his skill on a broom. While James was good, Severus was better.

I would like to think you inherited my kindness and passion for nature. To be able to judge a person by their actions not their appearance. If you were raised by my sister, I hope she showed you some kindness, but I fear that may not be the case.

Petunia was always fearful of magic and treated me like a leper. I would hope that she outgrew that, but my heart says that is not the case. I hope you can someday forgive me for any pain you have had to endure because of my lie. Know that I did what I did to protect you and your father.

I love you and will always be with you. Please, give your father a chance and perhaps together you two can find it in your hearts to forgive me.

 

Love Always,

Mum

 

Harry sat there and reread the letter three times. After the final time, he felt the tears begin to fall. He felt hurt, betrayed, yet so angry at the woman who had birthed him and the headmaster he thought he could trust.

Because of them he had missed out on a possible home with the man that was a father. A man that was even now after four years a virtual stranger. Sliding down on the bed, Harry clutched the letter and let the tears fall freely. Could he forgive his mother? Forgive Dumbledore?

 

 

~0000~

 

 

Severus sat on his sofa; his face buried in his hands. “Merlin Remus, what am I going to do?”

“Severus, I wish to Merlin I could have spared you and Harry this pain. I wish Lily had talked to you before she planned this.” Remus said, sitting beside his friend, slipping an arm around the other man’s shoulders.

“Lily and I talked about having a family. We both wanted children so much. Now I have a son that for the last six years I have treated horribly! How can Harry ever forgive me for that?” Severus asked, his voice cracking.

“Severus, together you and I will try to repair this. You don’t know him, and he doesn’t know you. Yes, he knows you as his professor, but now is the chance for you two to get to know each other as father and son. It’s only June. Once Poppy clears him, I say the three of us go to either my cottage or the home you and Lily shared before she and James went into hiding.” Remus said.

“What?” Severus gasped, lifting his head.

“After they went into hiding, I maintained the house. I checked on it regularly to make sure the wards stayed intact. James even set up a fund for the upkeep of the manor and property. A week before they died, he sent me the paperwork that made me caretaker of the estate. It is ready for you and Harry.” Remus explained.

“Yes. Home. Maybe there, maybe me and my son will have a chance to build something. What about his friends? Ms. Granger, the Weasley’s?” Severus asked.

“We can talk to Harry about that. On his seventeenth birthday, which is in a little over a month, Lily’s charms will vanish. If they are his true friends, his parentage will not matter in the slightest. Now that you are free of the Mark, we can figure out what will happen when Harry returns to school in September. For now, why don’t you go get a shower and I will order some food. After that, try and get some rest. Tomorrow will be a long day for all of us.” Remus stated.

“Alright. Remus, thank you for staying with me. I’m glad I still have you. I don’t think I would have been able to bear this without you.” Severus said.

“Severus, you, and James were my best friends. You two have always had my back. Yes, Sirius is a friend, but you, me and James go back further than he and I. I will always be there for you and my Godson. Always.” Remus smiled, pulling the other man into a brotherly hug.

 

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3779