Bluebirds and Birthday Candles by TheTransfiguredCanary
Summary: It only took a moment for the world as Harry knew it to crumble. For everything he thought he knew to be cast into doubt. High on the Cliffs of Dover, he'll learn not just about himself, but his bitter old potions professor, and his beautiful rescuer, each scarred by love and loss. Secrets are waiting in the winds. It will take all the hope in the world to bring them to the light.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Emmeline Vance
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, Fluff, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Depression Recovery, Disguised!Harry, Hospitalization
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Panic attack, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Wishing on the Winds
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 106216 Read: 39439 Published: 03 Aug 2022 Updated: 07 Feb 2023
Chapter 1 - Where Did You Think Teachers Lived, Potter? by TheTransfiguredCanary
Author's Notes:
Hello!
Welcome to the start of this little adventure!
This is my First time posting on P&S.
Usually, I only post on archive and ff.net, but this story is on theme, and I've been reading on this archive for so long now, that I thought it only fair I post here as well!
I hope you all enjoy this!
Please feel free to leave reviews! I love hearing everyone's feedback and interpretations!

 

No matter what anyone might say, or what you might think, considering his typical attitude, Severus Snape had always enjoyed the peace of the summer. And this time he was sure he deserved it as well! After 9 months of Gilderoy Lockhart, and a giant snake that was attacking people all over the school, not to mention Potter making EVERYTHING more complicated. He was very much looking forward to a nice, quiet, casual summer, sitting in his living room, with a nice milky tea, reading something not at all academic, and relaxing.

Was that too much to ask?

Albus?

It started out perfect. He arrived in Dover the day before yesterday, with Albus' assurance that his presence would not be required until August 30th, for the pre-class general staff meeting.

He'd had one pleasantly peaceful day of reacclimating himself to his cottage.

Then the paper arrived.

SIRIUS BLACK ESCAPES FROM AZKABAN!

MAD MASS MURDERER AT LARGE!


Harry blinked at his uncle in shock.

"What?" He asked again. He was fairly certain he hadn't heard that right.

"Go and pack a suitcase!" Vernon snarled angrily. "Don't make me repeat myself again!"

"Where am I going?" Harry tried. The rules did say 'don't ask questions' but he was pretty sure he was entitled to this time. Vernon's face twisted into an angry snarl.

"You're coming with us to Bristol." He grumbled.

"What?" Harry cried in shock. He was going with them to visit Aunt Marge?! But that was impossible! They never took him on holiday with him. "What about Mrs. Figg?"

"She's in the hospital." Vernon grumbled, "something about forgetting to take a booster for something. Apparently it's really contagious and leaves her an invalid, and she doesn't want you to get it. And we wouldn't either..." of course Harry knew that wasn't due to any sort of affection, or worry for his person, but because if he became bedridden with sickness the Dursleys would have to do all of their own chores until he got better.

"Surely the neighbours..." Harry began.

"And make us look bad?! You'd like that wouldn't you boy! Now stop asking questions, or there'll be no supper!" Vernon threatened angrily before returning to his paper. Harry turned away with slight shock. His first holiday! Course he was going to stay with Aunt Marge, so that would probably be a disaster. But maybe he could make himself scarce! Then he'd be able to explore Bristol on his own! He didn't know much about it, but it had to be much more interesting than Surrey.


"The Ministry wants to what?!" Snape shouted at the face in his fire, looking surly and irritated. "Albus, that is madness!"

"The Ministry insisted. They say there is too much of a chance that Black will be coming for young Harry." The wizened old headmaster's face replied.

"Of course." Severus drawled. "We must protect Potter."

"Now Severus." Albus began admonishingly. "You were the one who swore to protect him."

"Yes. But evidently, I have been mostly protecting him from himself." Severus snapped. "Which is a fool's errand."

"Severus..." Albus began. Then he paused. He seemed to be mulling something over. He even opened his mouth a few times before he finally smiled. "I was just calling to inform you of what has been done to the school's security. I'll let you get back to your well-deserved holiday now."

"Albus!" Severus called with a frown. He had the district feeling now that the man was hiding something from him.

"Have a good summer, Severus!" Albus cried cheerily before the fire returned to its natural colour. The potions master stood in his living room with a tightened eyebrow before he sighed and tried to return to his novel. But frustration made the experience rather less relaxing than he had hoped.


Harry smiled and lifted his cheap camera up to the castle on the hill with a grin. He'd been overjoyed when Petunia had shoved the polaroid in his hands, as well as a few ten-pound notes and told him to leave as soon as he finished unpacking their bags. Seemed like she wanted to avoid the confrontation between Marge and him as well. Aunt Marge hated his guts, and Harry wasn't exactly a fan himself. So here he was, wandering around Bristol with nothing but a camera and the clothes on his back. It was a nice town, with the scent of the sea on the breeze. He walked out to the harbour and stared out across the water with a smile. He'd always loved the idea of the ocean. The idea that there were other places to see and explore on the other side of that big expanse of water. As he sat and stared at the waves he smiled and dreamed of going to see those far off places once he graduated Hogwarts. He'd heard of plenty of witches and wizards who took a year to explore before settling into a career. And to be fair he wasn't even sure what he wanted to do. Maybe something with defence? He had enjoyed the duelling practice last year. Granted he had only liked it cause Snape threw Lockhart across the room. That, in his humble opinion, was worth all of the man's abuse and taunting. He did feel a little bad about Lockhart losing his memory at the end of the year. But only insofar as he would have rathered he had been able to get the professor to confess to his crimes. And maybe reverse the memory charms he put on all those poor people he'd stolen his stories from. Harry shoved his camera back into his baggy hoodie and walked down the streets a little more. The pier was up ahead and he'd read in a brochure that they made a kind of salt water taffy that was supposedly world famous. But as he crossed an alley he froze.

Something wasn't right.

Call it the instinct he'd developed from years of running from Dudley, and also battling all sorts of magical things at Hogwarts, but he knew that someone, or something, was following him. He pulled out his wand. He knew he wasnt technically allowed to use magic outside of school, but surely they would forgive him if it was to save his life. As he stood there, in the middle of the street something suddenly urged him to go home. Right then. Harry stuffed his hands into his pocket but kept his wand close and hurriedly rushed for his Aunt Marge's house. But just as he crossed the road a hand grabbed him. Harry opened his mouth to scream but another hand covered his mouth.

"Shhh!" the woman cried in a panic. "Sh sh sh Harry it's okay! It's okay! Please don't scream! Just come with me, and I'll explain! You're in terrible danger!" the woman insisted. She was a stately woman, tall, with a green scarf wrapped tightly around her neck and long brown hair braided into a bun at the base of her neck. Harry shook his head as she released him.

"Look! I dont know who you are, or how you know me, but I need to get home!"

"Wait!" the woman cried. Harry rushed around the corner and ran towards the end of the street. As he approached the house he slowed. The door was open. Harry cautiously took several steps towards the house. But then he saw the mutilated corpse of one of his aunt's dogs. The woman grabbed his hand again. "Harry! We need to leave!" she cried in a panic. Harry turned around and sucked in a breath as several tall ominously dressed wizards stepped out of the shadows behind them. The woman pushed Harry behind her. But the fight was far from fair. Five to one, as Harry was pretty sure he didn't know a single useful spell to take down these people. "Harry..." the woman began with a whisper, "run." the boy quivered in fear. "Run! Now!" she cried. That woke Harry up. He turned and bolted away from the house as spells raced over his head before he skittered around the corner. The trouble was, he wasn't sure where to go. In Surrey he knew a handful of places he could go to hide, that were perfect for this sort of thing. But he'd never been to Bristol before, and everything was unfamiliar. But he resolved to run until he couldn't hear the sounds coming from his aunt's house. He rushed down a few alleys. After about a minute of running, he slowed, a stitch forming in his side. He leaned against a crumbly old brick wall and wheezed. His eyes flicked over every shadow. Any one of them could hold one of those vile wizards. Then suddenly there was a sound like a car backfiring behind him. He jumped a mile and whipped around.

"Oh!" he cried, a smile forming, "it's you!" Then he faltered. There was a jagged cut above her eye that was bleeding rather alarmingly, and her scarf and hair looked a bit shinged, and she looked generally beat. "Are you alright?"

"Harry!" the woman cried before her smile widened, "oh thank goodness you're safe... now," she grasped his shoulder. "We need to get you out of here."

"Wait!" Harry cried. "Are... my family... are they..." the woman's face grew tragic.

"Yes... I'm so very sorry Harry," she replied. Harry's shoulders sunk. So this is what it meant to be truly alone. To have no one. "Come on." the woman said encouragingly. "Take a deep breath for me and hold on tight." Harry nodded. Then she spun on her heel.


Harry stumbled as they landed before he turned and dry heaved into the bush next to the gate they landed next to.

"Oh are you alright?" the woman cried in a slight panic. Harry straightened up, swaying on his feet before he nodded slowly, making sure to keep his eyes closed. "You're doing quite well you know... most people throw up their first time apperating."

"That was apperating?" Harry croaked in shock. It was awful! Wizards got around like that all the time?

"Yes dear." the woman responded with a chuckle. "Now come on, we need to get inside." She turned back to the gate and lifted her wand. "Ignis aeternus!" The gates opened with a crackle of fire. "Let's go." Harry followed her down the long drive, glancing back as the gates closed behind them and a shimmery shield descended across the gates again.

"Er... excuse me... but who are you? And where are we exactly?" he asked. The woman froze.

"Goodness, I never got the chance to introduce myself! My name is Emmeline. Emmeline Vance. And we're at Dumbledore House, just outside of Hexham, Northumbria."

"Dumbledore House? So this is where Professor Dumbledore lives?" Harry asked with a blink.

"Yes. He thought something like this might happen this year because... oh well I'm not supposed to say." Emmeline cut herself off abruptly. "Usually Mrs. Figg would take care of you, but she's laid low with Dragon Pox, so Dumbledore sent me to watch you instead."

"Hang on, Mrs. Figg knows Dumbledore?!" Harry cried in shock.

"Yes. He bought her a house near you, so we could keep an eye on you." Emmeline explained casually as they walked up to the rather imposing house that was rising up from the rolling hills around them. Harry was silent as he processed the information she'd just given him. He looked up at the phoenix-shaped knocker on the door and held his breath as she knocked. This was so very reminiscent of when he'd been sent to the headmaster's office last year. Suddenly he rather felt like he must be in trouble of some kind. But the door opened. It was answered by a weather old elf with a tiny pair of spectacles balanced on his long pointy nose.

"Hello?" the elf said, before adjusting his glasses. "How can Tipsy serve you?"

"Hello, Tipsy, we need to speak with Albus, please tell me he's home," Emmeline begged with a tired whine. Tipsy nodded and opened the door further before disappearing with a pop. Emmeline rushed him into the house with a glance over her shoulder. The house looked very very old. But despite the dated interior, it was very well kept. Harry looked around in awe.

"Harry my boy!" came a cry. Harry turned to his headmaster and smiled. The man didn't look much different than he usually did, with long billowy robes. His high-heeled boots had been replaced by a pair of slippers, and his half-moon spectacle in favour of a pair of taller square frames. "Are you unhurt my boy?" the man said with a note of concern.

"I'm fine." Harry assured him, "Ms. Vance saved me." Dumbledore looked over to the ruffled Emmeline and his bushy eyebrows shot up.

"Emmeline! Goodness gracious my dear! What happened?"

"Death eaters," Emmeline said worriedly. Dumbledore's face went sallow. "Seven of them. Two were still inside when I showed up with Harry."

"The Dursleys..." Dumbledore began worriedly.

"Dead," Harry said flatly. Dumbledore's eyes filled with sorrow. He descended the final step and placed a hand over his shoulder.

"I am so sorry Harry," he said with a sympathetic frown. Harry shrugged. The old wizard gave him a worried look before glancing at Emmeline again.

"Emmeline, can you stay with young Harry while I make a few calls?" Dumbledore asked. "I'll have Tipsy bring some potion for your forehead as well."

"Of course," Emmeline said before she settled into one of the sofas in the main room. Dumbledore gave Harry one last pay before he went up the stairs again, with a speed his age hid very well.

"Don't worry Harry." Emmeline piped up with a smile. "Dumbledore will have everything sorted." The elf returned with a tray with several potions which Emmeline gratefully accepted. Harry continued to stand in the centre of the hall feeling very lost. "Come sit with me, Harry dear." Emmeline suddenly called. Harry looked over. The woman looked much more put together. The cut on her head was healed, and she'd washed the soot and grime from her face. She patted the spot beside her on the sofa. Harry slowly walked over and perched on it before he glanced nervously at the door Dumbledore had disappeared behind. "Don't worry Harry," Emmeline repeated with a smile. "Dumbledore will have everything sorted. Just have a little patience."


Severus was finishing up the last of his afternoon tea when the fire in his living room roared to life. Snape's face fell into a scowl and he marched in from his dining room.

"Albus, I swear to merlin-"

"Please Severus," the man began with a weary look. Severus froze.

"What has happened?" he demanded.

"I need you to be honest with me, Severus," Albus said, ignoring his question which irked the man to no end. "Have you been contacted, or heard any whispers from your old... colleagues?"

Severus's veins filled with ice.

"Albus... what has happened?" he demanded again. Dumbledore took a long slow breath.

"Death eaters attacked Mr. Potter's family while they were visiting Bristol." the man said, giving Severus a weary glance. The man felt his chest tighten.

"Potter-"

"Is safe," Dumbledore assured him. "I had a member of The Order watching him. She managed to fend them off and rescue Harry." Severus narrowed his eyes. There was a but there. "The boy's entire family was killed." Severus froze. He knew exactly where this was going.

"Albus... don't you dare-"

"He needs to be kept somewhere safe, Severus." Dumbledore began, raising his voice over Severus's. "He needs someone constant! Poppy is on tour with healers without borders, and you know Minerva visits family during the holidays. Rolanda has her season tickets for the Hollyhead's and Filius is lecturing in America. Septima is getting ready for her wedding in the spring and Charity and Bathsheda are finally going on their honeymoon. I care for them dearly but I wouldn't trust Sybill with a pet hamster," Severus had to agree there, with a quintessential snort, "and Aurora can barely remember to feed herself, let alone a child. Irma has already threatened to quit once this year, when Gilderoy attempted to seduce her, so I'd rather not give her another excuse. Silvanus has finally retired, and Rubeus needs time to prepare for his new classes." Severus scowled as he heard that. He still thought Albus was an absolute fool for even thinking of asking Hagrid to teach classes, let alone Care of Magical Creatures. Someone was probably going to get eaten! "As for Cuthbert, well I don't think I have to tell you why that would be a disaster. Now that the death eaters are active again, the other members of The Order are going to be quite busy. " Albus finished before he huffed, causing a few ashes to flutter onto Snape's hearth rug. "This is all besides the point!" he levelled the man with his most grandfatherly and stern of looks. "You are the only member of staff and The Order I trust to keep Harry safe. Your cottage is the most secure location. It has to be you, Severus." The potions master gave his employer a long look before he let out a slow suffering sigh.

"Fine," he said shortly.

"I'm going to send someone from the order along as well," Albus assured him. "To help keep him occupied, so you can have a little time to yourself."

"Fine." Severus agreed to that as well, though he was already dreading that. There weren't many people in The Order he got along with. It was probably Moody, or worse 'Tonks'. There was only so much of that rambunctious woman he could handle before he wanted to strangle her and several others in the vicinity. The old man's face disappeared for a moment and the fire returned to its usual colour. Severus took a few steps back and folded his arms menacingly. He was sure Potter was going to be a blubbering incorrigible mess when he arrived. Severus stared skyward and huffed. So much for a relaxing summer. The fire glowed emerald once again. Severus sneered and levelled the fire with his most menacing glare. And finally, two shapes appeared in the flames before stepping out. Snape's face went completely blank. The woman also went white as a sheet and turned back towards the fire.

"Albu-" she began with a panicked note, but the flames went warm orange once again. She took a second to take a deep breath before turning once again. "Hello Severus," she said slowly.

"Emmeline," he replied quietly then flicked his eyes down to the boy who was glancing around his house with mild shock. "Mr. Potter. I assume my house meets your exacting standards?"

"Severus!" Emmeline snapped in frustration. "The poor boy's family was just killed! Have a little heart!"

"Sorry," Harry said nervously, as he avoided his professor's cold gaze. "It... wasn't what I was expecting."

"What? Did you think I lived in a rancid damp cellar all year?" Snape drawled.

"Well no I just-" Harry began.

"Contrary to what you might think, Potter," Snape began with a cold look. "Teachers do have lives outside of school. We can't spend all year with you dunderheads. The mental strain would be insurmountable." Harry scowled as he said that. He knew exactly what Snape was implying when he said dunderhead. "Where are your things?"

"We didn't have a chance to grab them," Emmeline admitted. She glanced at her watch. Before looking down at Harry. "I'll just be a moment, can you tell me where your things are at your house?"

"My uncle locked my truck in the cupboard under the stairs," Harry said quietly. "All my magic books and robes and things are there."

"Right," Emmeline said before she gave Severus a nervous look. "I'll be back soon."

"Right." Snape agreed, he turned and watched the woman walk out the front door like she owned the place. He turned back to Potter with a raised eyebrow. "You'll be staying in the guest bedroom. Upstairs, second door on the left. The door on the right is the bathroom."

"Oh... er... where will Ms. Vance sleep?" Harry asked worriedly. Snape sneered at him.

"She is a witch of some skill. I'm sure she can transfigure something suitable, or sleep on the couch." he drawled.

"Oh well I can-" Harry tried worriedly. It hardly seems fair to force her to sleep on the couch after she'd saved him from the dead-whatevers.

"Just take the spare bedroom, Potter!" Snape snarled angrily. "And show a little more gratitude! I am giving up my well-deserved vacation to mind you!"

"Sorry, sir." Harry said quickly. He could tell that Snape was already in a terribly bad mood., though strangely it didn't seem like Harry was entirely the cause. The man walked away, through the dining room into what Harry assumed was the kitchen beyond. He was muttering to himself as he went about making tea. It sounded to Harry like he was damning Dumbledore. Harry wrung his hands as he stood on the hearth-rug, not sure what he should do. Snape came back into the living room with his mug and frowned.

"Stop standing there like a pylon, Potter." he drawled. "Or is my sofa not good enough?"

"I just didn't know if I was allowed, sir,'' Harry muttered. Snape's eyebrow rose.

"Of course you're allowed, Potter. You're going to be staying here for the foreseeable future. You think I'd want you standing there in the way until September?" Snape said. Harry shook his head and slowly settled onto the sofa. Snape was marvelling at his bizarre behaviour. The boy was obviously still reeling over the deaths of his family. Severus was sure he'd be back to his usually impertinent self in a few days. Probably even more so. Severus groaned silently. Emmeline had better keep him occupied. His knuckles tightened around the mug in his hands. Emmeline. This was so like Albus! To spring her on him after all this time! He grunted and took a sip of his tea. The door opened again.

"I'm back!" Emmeline cried with a smile on her lips. "I have your trunk here dear, as well as your broom."

"Thank you, Ms. Vance!" Harry cried as he rushed to grab it. He cradled the nimbus to his chest like it was an infant bird before he grabbed his trunk and pulled it towards the stairs. As he strained to lift it over the bottom step Snape tisked and shot a feather-light charm over the trunk. Harry yelped and tumbled backwards into the next step as the trunk was suddenly much lighter.

"Don't scuff up my stairs, Potter." Snape drawled coolly. Harry gave him a twisted look somewhere between a frown and a look of gratitude before he disappeared around the bend.

"Severus," Emmeline scolded quietly, "that was very childish." Severus did not respond to her admonishment. He just opened up the magazine on his coffee table and ignored her. "I take it, I'm sleeping on the couch?"

"I see your deductive skills have not reduced," Severus muttered quietly. The woman rolled her eyes before dragging her suitcase to the other side of the sofa. Snape opened his mouth to yell at her to not scratch the hardwood when Potter came back downstairs.

"Er... sir? am I... that is-"

"Spit it out, Potter." Snape snapped in irritation. His stuttering was extremely irritating.

"Can I go flying?" Harry asked nervously. Snape frowned before he set down his mug and steepled his fingers.

"I do believe this is the perfect opportunity to set down some ground rules," he said with narrowed eyes. "Number 1: You are to be in the guestroom by 9 o'clock. Lights out at 10. Spend that hour either getting ready for bed or doing something quiet. Number 2: The pantry is strictly off limits. Breakfast is at 9 am; dinner at 7:30 pm. Lunch is something I expect you to make for yourself. Number 3: you will pick up after yourself! That includes keeping the spare bedroom neat. A Hogwarts house-elf comes by every week to pick up dirty laundry. Do not leave it lying around! Put it in the laundry basket! Number 4: you are currently in St Margaret's Bay, Dover-"

"Dover?!" Harry said in awe. "I've never been to Dover! Can you see the cliffs from here?"

"If you would let me finish," Snape said warningly. Harry clamped his mouth shut. "As I was saying. We are in St Margaret's Bay. Specifically east of the town's centre. It's a two-minute walk to the road, then a 16-minute walk down The Droveway." Snape explained. "You are not to go into town without myself or Emmeline." he paused before he huffed. "And to answer your question... yes, you can see the cliffs if you walk along St Margaret's Beach." Harry beamed! Now there was something he had to see! Maybe Emmeline would be willing to take him to see them tomorrow. "As for flying. The house is surrounded by a muggle repelling charm as well as notice me not charms. They extend out to the stone wall surrounding the house and up to the top of the willow tree. Provided you are exceedingly careful, and Emmeline agrees to supervise you, I see no reason why you cannot fly. But I want this to be made crystal clear, Potter." Snape began as Harry smiled widely. "These are privileges. Failing to follow the rules will result in those privileges being revoked. Am I understood?"

"Yes sir."

"In addition." Snape began, "I hardly think you should go about flying or exploring the bay when it sounds as though you have not even started your summer reading." Snape drawled coldly, "my essay is not something to be put off until the train ride, Potter." Harry's spirits sunk

"Er... right... I suppose I can finish my homework first." Harry muttered before he turned back towards the stairs.

"Severus-" Emmeline began with a sad note in her voice.

"Do not start Emmeline," Severus growled lowly before returning to his magazine. The woman huffed and settled onto the sofa, as far from his armchair as she could get.

This was going to be a long summer.

The End.
End Notes:
Once again, feel free to review!
This story is finished, so the updates should come relatively frequently, dependent entirely on when each chapter is fully edited.
hope to hear from and see you all again!
-TTC


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3789