Bluebirds and Birthday Candles by TheTransfiguredCanary
Summary: It only took a moment for the world as Harry knew it to crumble. For everything he thought he knew to be cast into doubt. High on the Cliffs of Dover, he'll learn not just about himself, but his bitter old potions professor, and his beautiful rescuer, each scarred by love and loss. Secrets are waiting in the winds. It will take all the hope in the world to bring them to the light.
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Emmeline Vance
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Family, Fluff, Humor, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Depression Recovery, Disguised!Harry, Hospitalization
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Alcohol Use, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Panic attack, Profanity, Romance/Het
Challenges: None
Series: Wishing on the Winds
Chapters: 28 Completed: Yes Word count: 106216 Read: 39283 Published: 03 Aug 2022 Updated: 07 Feb 2023
Chapter 20 - Christmas Miracles by TheTransfiguredCanary

"Harry is the only student staying for Christmas?!" Emmeline cried in horror. Minerva looked up from the list, or rather the sheet of paper with Harry Potter's name scribbled on it with a grave wince.

"I'm afraid so," she admitted. "The parents are skittish it seems."

"What about those students without parents?" Severus demanded in irritation. Harry wasn't the only orphan at Hogwarts. There were several who lived in foster homes and even a few in orphanages. 

"They all decided to return to their residences for the holidays," Minerva admitted, then her eyes narrowed and her volume rose slightly. "Probably to escape the dementors." Albus sighed heavily. 

"I have yet to secure Harry a full-time residence outside of Hogwarts." Severus' hand tightened around his armrest, "so young Harry is the only student currently residing in Hogwarts who truly has nowhere to go."

"Well, he can't just stay here!" Pomona cried. "The poor dear, all on his own?"

"Well he is not completely alone," Albus admonished with twinkling eyes. "We are here after all."

"We," Charity began with a sniff, "have lives and families of our own Albus. We can't just cancel our plans to stay and babysit a single student! And how on earth do you propose to keep track of him in the castle?! One student will be much harder to find than a group."

"How many of you intend to stay for the holidays?" Albus asked. Emmeline and Severus both raised their hands, as well as Filius and Aurora. Sybil wasn't in attendance, but her staying at the castle was a moot point. Albus blinked and looked at his deputy, slightly hurt. 

"My sister has been nagging me to come visit for the holidays all summer," Minerva said pointedly. "And I distinctly remember you organizing something with your brother."

"Theoretically." Albus reminded her as casually as he could. The woman quirked an eyebrow. "A single drink at a local pub does not take very long."

"If you think the pair of you aren't going to end up at St. Mungo's like you did last year,"

"And the year before that," Filius reminded

"And the year before that," Poppy added.

"Point taken," Albus muttered with slight frustration. Then suddenly his eyes landed on Severus. The man held his breath. Surely… "Severus… I have a request."


Harry stood in the doorway to the dormitory watching everyone pack. Ron was the most reluctant.

"You don't understand," he moaned to Dean. "My aunt Muriel is awful. She's sooo cranky. Dad says it's ‘cause she gets lonely, what with living on her own. I think she just misses picking out the flaws in people! Last time we were there she complained about my hair being too red. What am I supposed to do about that?! And she was getting on Ginny for being too tall! How is she supposed to fix that?! Drink Shrinking Solution?"

"Wouldn't recommend," Harry said with a weak grin. "Unless Ginny wants to go through puberty again."

"Absolutely not!" Ginny cried in horror behind him. He turned around and gave her a grin. She smiled before turning to her brother. "Can I put some things in your trunk?" 

"What?! No! Why can't you fit it in your own!"

"’Cause of all the presents I got you tosser!" Ginny argued. The siblings began to bicker with the other third-year boys snickering as Ginny successfully bullied Ron into putting a few of her jumpers into the top half of his trunk.

"She's not bossing me around for anything," Ron argued. "Just didn't want to listen to her whine anymore is all."

"Sure mate," Seamus muttered with a grin.

"Keep telling yourself that," Dean added. Then suddenly they were all shutting their trunks. Harry felt his throat tighten. 

"Are you sure you'll be alright on your own mate?" Ron suddenly murmured to him worriedly. Harry forced a smile.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Won't have to worry about waking anyone up when I get back from exploring the castle at night." Harry offered cheekily. Ron grinned. 

"You better show me the cool places you discover when I get back."

"Course, mate." 

"Potter!" Percy's voice suddenly barked from the door. He was standing in the doorway with narrowed eyes. "What have you done this time?" He demanded. 

"Ease off Perce," Ron argued with a huff. Percy had gotten pretty snooty ever since he'd become head boy, which he'd taken to loudly reminding people of at any given moment. Accompanying this snootiness was a general dislike of troublemakers, including Harry, despite the fact he hadn't actually been in much trouble this year. Mostly because Snape hadn't given out detentions at the drop of a hat like he used to. 

"What are you talking about?" Harry asked with a frown "I haven't done anything!"

"Then why is professor Snape at the portrait hall demanding to speak with you?" Percy argued with a raised eyebrow. Harry paled.

"Bloody hell mate what did you do?!" Ron whispered in horror.

"No idea!" Harry hissed back in a panic before he cleared his throat and turned back to Percy. "Er… I'll go talk to him."  Then he pushed past Percy and through the Great Hall. A few people were staring at him with winces of sympathy. Someone muttered something about the shoe finally falling. Hermione was standing by the door with a worried expression.

"What did you do?" She asked nervously.

"Is it that bad?" Harry asked worriedly. Hermione bit her lip. 

"He looks pretty upset." Harry sighed. He couldn't think of anything off the top of his head, but then perhaps everyone was just overblowing this. Severus was probably just cranky. So he opened the portrait hole. Snapes expressed made Harry flinch. He looked murderous. But the second he saw Harry the expression softened slightly and he let out a sigh.

“Percival Weasley has gotten quite full of himself hasn't he?” he commented with a huff. Harry grinned.

“Just a bit.”

“It's extremely irritating,” Severus complained. Harry chuckled before he shifted on his feet slightly.

“What did you want to speak to me about?” the Gryffindor asked worriedly. Severus cleared his throat. Harry was shocked to realize the man was nervous

“It has come to the staff's attention that you are the only student remaining for the holidays.”

“In Gryffindor, yeah.” Harry agreed.

“No, Harry, you misunderstand me,” Severus said quietly. “You are the only Hogwarts student remaining. No other students, from any other house, have decided to stay.” Harry felt himself completely deflate.

Nobody?

At all?

He felt his stomach twist into knots. It hadn’t seemed so bad, staying alone in Gryffindor, but the idea that there would be absolutely no other students around made him feel utterly alone.

“The staff have all agreed that this is entirely unacceptable,” Severus muttered quickly. Harry looked up at him quickly, blinking in shock. “So we have arranged for you to spend the holidays in a place that would be easier to keep an eye on you.” Harry held his breath.

He couldn't mean…

“I want you packed by tonight. As head of house, I will need to remain until the train leaves to make sure all of Slytherin gets on the train, but I want to be in Dover before-” 

Harry latched himself to the man, burning his face in the man's chest. His shoulders shook, despite the beaming smile that Severus could feel the boy was sporting. He allowed himself the smallest, slightest smile as he gently weaved his fingers into the boy's hair. Then the boy pulled away, smile still bright and cheery, despite the tears that were still dripping slowly from his eyes. “I want your trunk in the Entrance Hall by eleven.”

“Yes sir,” Harry said, still beaming. He turned back to the portrait of the Fat Lady, who looked pleasantly amused. Then he stopped.

“Professor… is Emmeline coming as well?” Harry asked. 

Severus froze. 

“I… am not certain that would be a good idea, Harry,” Severus muttered quietly. Harry gave him a look, cocking his head.

“You should ask her,” he said casually. “The worst she could say is no right?” Then he was gone. Severus scowled slightly.

There was a touch more than ‘no’ that Emmeline could say.

And she would be well within her rights to say it.

But as the day went on the idea wouldn't leave him. Until finally it was dinner, and the whole day of wondering and worrying made him blurt out over the meal.

“Would you like to join Harry and me for Christmas, Emmeline?”

The table went silent. 

Minerva and Poppy both leaned over the table to stare at him in shock and confusion. 

Hooch leaned over and slipped two galleons into Charity’s hand with a grumble. 

Remus had frozen midbite and the food was slowly sliding off his fork. 

Severus was keenly aware of how pale and sickly he must look, as nervous and weary as he felt. Then everyone turned to Emmeline. She was equally shocked, and her eyes seemed a bit glazed over. He felt infinitely worse for the memories he must have stirred up. In fact, what was he thinking?!

“Never mind!” he declared, rising to his feet, the meal completely abandoned. “Forget I asked.”

“Certainly.” Emmeline finally responded. Hooch groaned and slid another two Galleons to the Muggle Studies professor, who was biting her lip to keep from squealing with glee. Bathsheda was beside her indulgently smiling with a roll of her eyes.  And Septima had a hand over her mouth with a teary smile. Severus turned around and stared at Emmeline with slight shock. “I would be honoured.” Severus cleared his throat to dislodge the sudden obstruction.

“We’ll be leaving around noon,” he muttered. Emmeline smiled and gave a nod. Then Severus turned on his heel and left the great hall. The conversation hadn’t been loud, but several of the closest students were staring after him with shock. He had no doubt that rumour would have completely worked its way through the mill by the time the students returned from the holidays. He suspected that the post owls would be very busy indeed this holiday season. He watched the rumour make its way down the Great Hall along with him. He took a second to glance at Harry, as he leaned his ear to a fellow student, his blooming smile made Severus’ heart slowly warm. They met eyes and Harry gave him a smug grin. Severus rolled his eyes and swept out of the great hall. Up at the teacher's table, Remus choked on his hot chocolate.

“Are you alright Remus?” Emmeline asked worriedly. Remus stared at Harry and looked at the Great Hall doors before his eyes flicked over to Albus and slowly narrowed. But then he looked at Emmeline and smiled.

“Perfectly fine,” he assured her. Emmeline rose an eyebrow before going back to her dinner. But her heart was fluttering too quickly to even dream of eating, and she had a feeling she wouldn't be able to sleep much either. And she realized that it wasn't fear, pain or even trepidation filling her with jitters.

But excitement.

A beaming smile slowly spread across her face.

Maybe Christmas wasn’t quite so terrible after all.


Harry grinned as he pulled his trunk down the last flight of stairs. Emmeline was standing, waving off a few of the students with smiles. When she saw Harry her smile widened. Then she shook her head with an indulgent smile.

“Harry darling, you could have asked the elves to bring it down for you.”

“Oh,” Harry said with a blink. “I er… didn't think about that.” Emmeline chuckled. Then suddenly Severus ascended from the dungeons, trailing all of Slytherin house behind him. He stopped as he saw Emmeline and Harry, then gave his students a firm look. They stumbled to rush from where they had obviously stopped to eavesdrop on their professor. Malfoy did pause when he passed by them, but Severus just gave him a withering glare and the boy scampered off, which the man rolled his eyes at. 

“You have everything?” he asked Harry. The teen nodded. “Excellent, I have to escort Slytherin house to the train, but I will be back. We'll leave as soon as I return." And then he spun away, boots crunching through the snow at the end of a trail of students, excitedly chattering away. Emmeline looked down at him and smiled before she adjusted the scarf she'd knitted for him. 

"So, what do you want to do first when we get to Dover?"

"I dunno…" Harry began, "does professor Snape usually decorate?"

"I'm not sure," Emmeline admitted with a weak smile. "We'll have to ask. But I have a feeling he does."

"Then maybe we should get a tree." Harry reasoned. His smile faltered. "Do… so you think we can get a live one? I've never had a live tree before."

"What other sort is there?" Emmeline demanded with an incredulous chuckle. Harry launched into a long description of various Muggle Christmas decorations, such as fake trees, string lights, and a list of all of his aunt's tackiest ornaments. She was staring at him, pleasantly bemused when Severus finally emerged from the cold, shoulders and hair dusted with snow.

"Professor, do you decorate for Christmas?" Harry asked. Severus paused.

"Not usually." He admitted. Harry's shoulders slumped and his smile faltered. "However," Severus began slowly, "I suppose it would be only fair." Harry grinned widely. Severus gave him his own subtle smile then tapped his and Emmeline's trunks and shrunk them so that they fit in his pocket. 

"We'll be walking down and apparating at the gates," Severus explained before he turned his wand. "Expecto Patronum!" 

Harry gaped in awe.

"Professor Lupin didn't show me that!" He cried in awe. Severus looked back at him, as the doe trotted around looking watchful yet serene.

"They can also be used to send messages." Emmeline informed his. "Watch." Then she brandished her own wand. "Expecto Patronum!" The pheasant burst out, fluttering through the air before floating in front of her expectantly. "Go to Minerva McGonagall and tell her that we are leaving." The pheasant bobbed its head before it whizzed away in a pearly blue blur. Harry stared in awe.

"That's amazing!" He cried. "I wonder what my animal will be."

"It will either be something of great significance to you," Severus explained, "or something which symbolizes your current identity." 

"Current? So the animal can change?"

"Yes," Severus muttered.

"Mine wasn't always a pheasant," Emmeline admitted with a smile. "When I was younger, it was a King Charles Spaniel."

"Mine was a raven," Severus admitted casually. 

"Why'd they change?" Harry asked. Emmeline's face fell and she opened her mouth to try and figure out a delicate way to explain.

"That's enough," Severus said warningly. Emmeline opened her mouth to admonish Severus but Harry just nodded and changed the subject, asking Severus about what kind of decorations they would get, and whether or not they could get a live tree. She blinked. Evidently, Severus and Harry had developed some kind of code for when Harry's game of twenty questions was over. Then suddenly the doe perked up and slowed her pace, going from serene to surprisingly threatening for a deer. Harry shrunk away, closer to Emmeline as the trio walked under the watchful - eyes? - Of the dementors. As soon as Emmeline felt the pair of them breach the wards she turned on her heel, whisking Harry away from their disconcerting aura. The boy let out a sigh of relief before he smiled happily. The cottage was covered in snow, and the windows were dark, but somehow the sight of it made his whole body warm up. Another crack sounded as Severus arrived. "Had to close the gate behind us." Then he marched up to the door, shaking out his keys and opened it up. Emmeline waltzed in, wand high, and cast a quick dusting charm, as Severus lit the lights. Harry grinned before he turned to Severus.

"I'll take yours and my trunks up!" He offered happily. Severus retrieved all of the luggage, returned it to its actual size and cast Featherlight charms on all of them. 

"Just at my door if you don't mind."

"Yes sir!" Harry said as he trumped up the stairs excitedly. Severus rolled his eyes. Then he raised an eyebrow at Emmeline, removing her mitts and hat. "What are you doing?" 

"Hmm?" 

"We're going to get a tree now aren't we?" He offered with a quirked eyebrow. Emmeline blinked before shaking her head with a chuckle.

"Harry darling!"

"Yeah?"

"Come back down, we’re going to go get our tree!" Instantly the House was filled with frantic stomping as the boy rushed down the stairs so fast Severus was worried he would slip and break his neck.

"Really?!" He cried excitedly. Severus opened the door. 

"Come along." Harry didn't need to be told twice.


Harry stared down at the chessboard with a harsh frown. Then he reached out a hand. It hovered slightly as he examined the board then he moved his piece. Severus made a noise, somewhere between irritation and amazement.

“Very good move,” he muttered. Harry grinned widely. Emmeline chuckled.

“Well he came to a few of those tournaments, mostly to watch Ronald, but still, he had to have picked something up,” Emmeline remarked with a smile. Harry nodded and leaned back to look at the decorations while Severus surveyed the board and reevaluated his options. The mantel was covered with pine boughs, magically made impervious to any sparks, with golden baubles nestled within them. The tree was right by the window and covered in sparkling fairy lights and red, green, silver, and gold ornaments of various sizes. On the top was a sparkling white star that slowly spun, casting a pale comforting light out across the living room. Harry pulled the throw blanket around him further and smiled. He looked over to Emmeline, casually reading a book at the other end of the sofa, then looked back to Severus as he rubbed the lower half of his face with calculating eyes and couldn't help his eyes growing watery. At that moment Severus looked up and frowned.

“What's wrong?” he asked worriedly. Harry smiled wider.

There was so much in that action.

So much that he didn't think Severus could ever understand.

“I’m fine,” he assured the man, grinning like an idiot. Severus raised an eyebrow before he leaned down and finally moved his piece. Harry looked down at the board once again and contemplated his option when Emmeline looked up at the mantel clock

“Goodness, it's almost midnight!” Emmeline cried in alarm. Harry looked over as well and blinked. Severus waved his wand and picked up the chessboard, where the pieces were now magically stuck.

“We’ll continue the match some other time.” Severus reasoned. Harry nodded and made his way upstairs. 

“Sleep well darling,” Emmeline called to him with a smile. Harry felt his emotions bubble up again as Severus walked up to Emmeline with a glass of wine. He looked at the tree and them and the decorations.

“Thank you.” he suddenly declared. “For everything.” then he turned and continued up the stairs. Both Emmeline and Severus stared up after him. Then Emmeline set her glass down and put a hand over her mouth to stifle a sob. Severus by contrast clutched his harder and settled into his chair stiffly, keeping his face as neutral as possible.

“Severus,” Emmeline finally muttered. “What are Albus’ plans for Harry?”

“Not me.” he spat in frustration. Emmeline made a noise of utter disgust and frustration.

“I'll take him.” she declared. “I'll take him in a heartbeat,” Severus growled.

“Good luck with that. Albus has been acting very strange this year. The death of the Dursleys seems to have thrown all of his ‘plans’ up in the air.”

“Well good!” Emmeline huffed, “maybe his plans were terrible!”

“I am inclined to agree,” Severus murmured. Emmeline suddenly stood, taking her wine with her.

“This is Harry's first real Christmas. We have to make it absolutely perfect!” she declared as she sipped her wine. Severus hummed into his own sip with a nod.

“Agreed.”

The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3789