Aftermath by Swamygliders
Summary: Harry laid in a heap on the ground with his eyes pressed closed. His hip felt as if it were on fire, and he was certain that his arm was badly broken. Burning pain was radiating down his leg from his hip, and he didn't think he could move even a little. 
Categories: Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Remus
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind
Genres: Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: None
Takes Place: 7th Year
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 7087 Read: 1950 Published: 30 Sep 2022 Updated: 30 Sep 2022
Story Notes:
Hello all! Another little story that was wracking around in my brain. Hope you enjoy!
A new begining by Swamygliders
Harry laid in a heap on the ground with his eyes pressed closed. His hip felt as if it were on fire, and he was certain that his arm was badly broken. Burning pain was radiating down his leg from his hip, and he didn't think he could move even a little. 

Through the pain, he tried to remember exactly what had happened. He had walked into the forest ready for Voldemort to kill him as the prophecy said, but then why was he still here? Why was he still alive and in so much pain? What had happened?

He then remembered the curse and how it had struck his body. Right where the pain in his hip radiated from. And then the train station and a light, being asked if he wanted to come back. He had…for Ginny, but not like this. Not to be in this much pain. 

His mind flowed through these thoughts like swimming through a pile of mud as his consciousness slowly returned. That was until he felt himself being picked up and felt unimaginable pain as his broken bones were moved and held in someone's arms. He wanted to yell out in pain, but his mouth was shut tight in a grimace and was not budging. 

Slowly, he squinted his eyes open, trying to get his bearings. His glasses were gone, so the world was blurry, but he could make out the large hands that held him close to a chest. He felt Hagrid's hot, large tears as they fell from his face and onto his. The gentle giant probably thought he was dead, like he should be. He closed his eyes again as the world hurt his head too much to keep them open. 

Was Voldemort gone? Had he done it? He knew his curse had stuck the man or whatever he really was at this point. Oh, he hurt so much, and he just couldn't keep his thoughts straight.

He felt Hagrid's large hands tenderly laying him down on something soft. He then heard and felt the surrounding bustling as Hagrid was rushed away. Moans of pain were coming from the right of him, and he could hear sobbing near his feet. He wondered if he had been brought to where all the injured were, or if they thought he was dead. Was he dead? Was Hagrid injured and that's why he was rushed away so quickly?

But he couldn't think much more of that because a strong, but gentle, calloused hand held his head up, and he felt a potion vial against his lips. He was glad they didn't think he was dead. The deep voice told him to drink, but he couldn't. He was just so weak, he couldn't muster up the strength to do what he was told. So, the liquid spilled out of the side of his mouth.

He heard a soft sigh and felt a gentle cloth wipe away the spilled liquid, and then a cool feeling in his stomach. He assumed the potion had been spelled into his stomach. If he remembered correctly from Madam Pomfrey's teachings, a spelled potion was not as effective as one taken by mouth, but some situations required it. From all the pain in his body, he knew it had been one of those.

His consciousness again slowly faded to blackness, and as it did, he knew he had been given a dreamless sleep. He was grateful to escape the pain and fade into the sweet darkness.

As Harry fell into a deep coma-like sleep, the surrounding adults rushed around the room frantically. He had been placed in a bed inside the busy hospital wing at Hogwarts as all the other injured students and adults who had been injured in the battle of Hogwarts. So many had been injured, and so many had died. Voldemort had seen to that. When he had fallen, his followers had thrown as many curses around to harm as many as they could before they fell too.

Sitting on Harry's bedside was a worn, frail, dour man who they had thought dead not even two hours ago. He had a bandage around his neck from a snake bite, but there he sat trying to soothe the small body on the bed. When he had last seen the boy, he had attempted to relay all the information he needed to defeat the Dark Wizard. He had hoped that the battle would not have concluded with the boy so injured, though.

The teen looked so frail and broken on the bed. Much like Lily, his Mother, had in his arms that night so many years ago. 

Shaking that sad thought from his head, the once potion master and now headmaster started to gently take the battered clothing away from the wound on the teen's hip. He needed to see what was going on. He had already run a diagnostic charm, so he knew there was extensive damage, but it was always another thing to see it.

Severus snapped his finger and a house elf appeared. He was too weak in his current state to move too far away from the bed. He was glad in a weird way that everyone was so busy that he had been left to heal Harry. It was the least he could do after all the pain he had caused the boy all these years.

Contrary to popular belief, he hadn't enjoyed being a dungeon bat who was out to get the brat who lived. Sure, at first, he had felt resentful of the student who looked like his childhood enemy.  But as the years went on, the anger had dissipated, and it was just as act he had to keep in place to keep the boy safe and to keep spying. 

The man told the elf the few potions he would need, bandages, balms, lukewarm water and asked for a comfortable chair if he could find one for him. Severus was not strong enough to conjure anything at the moment. It was all he could do to heal the boy in front of him, and he had a feeling when it came to mending some of the badly broken bones, he was going to need some help.

While the elf was gathering the necessary items, Severus looked at the paper where the diagnostic charm had written all the teen's ailments again. Broken arm, shattered hip bone and more cuts and scrapes than he had ever seen. What worried him the most though was this knife wound that was so close to the shattered hip. He assumed that one of Voldemort's followers had shoved it in after the Dark lord's defeat. He was worried there might have been poison on the blade. The diagnostic spell had been inconclusive about that. He would have to clean it thoroughly. 

Just a few minutes later, the elf popped back placing a comfortable looking chair down and helped the man off the bed and into it, so he was sitting comfortably. He then popped away and came back with the rest of the things the man had asked for. He didn't pop away again though, instead he started to help Severus with his task of healing the boy. The elf had read the cues that Severus needed the help, and the man was truly grateful for the extra pair of hands.

The elf skillfully helped smooth the balms into the boy skin, remove clothing that was obstructing the view from wounds, and pouring the right potions where they needed to go. 

All the while, Severus focused on the boy's hip. He cleaned it carefully and expertly mended the soft tissue wounds and stopped any bleeding. When it came to vanishing the bone, so it could regrow, he cast the spell and then everything went back as he fainted. He had extended himself too much, he had lost a lot of blood after all.

The elf had been watching him closely and caught Severus mid-faint, so he would not land on the boy and cause more injuries. When the mediwitch had seen the elf taking supplies to help Severus, she had ordered him to stay with the man and help with whatever he needed and to watch carefully. The elf had already planned to do so, but hearing it from the healer had cemented his resolve, even if the man argued. He was grateful the man had chosen not to.

Slowly, the elf leaned the man back into the chair and snapped his fingers, transforming the chair into a comfortable recliner, so the man would be more at ease. He then popped away to get the Mediwitch, for she was now needed here.

When the elf came back, though, he didn't have the Mediwitch in tow, but another healer who had come to help from St. Mungos. The Mediwitch had been in the middle of restarting a student's heart who had been hit by a pretty nasty curse and just couldn't leave to help as much as she would have wanted to.

The healer, whose name was Don, first came over and checked over Severus. He noted that the wound on his neck had started to bled through the bandages, so he unwrapped it and rewrapped it with clean bandages while spelling a blood replenisher potion into the man's stomach. He couldn't get over how pale and worn the man looked. He was like a walking ghost. The last year had not treated him well.

Once he was sure the man was resting comfortably, he turned and looked at the boy in the bed. He admired the other man's healing on the boy's hip. What had been healed was done well, but there was much more that needed to be done. Don finished healing the soft tissue and then spelled a Skele-Gro into the boy's stomach to regrow what the other man had vanished. Even though the healing had gone well, he suspected this injury would bother the teen for the rest of his life. Bones when injured so badly there was only so much you could do.

The healer then turned his attention to the boy's arm. He set it quickly and then healed it with some wandless healing magic. When he was finished, he quickly removed the rest of the boy's tattered clothing and dressed him in some soft hospital pajamas, and then tucked him into bed.

Unfortunately, once the two were healed and comfortable, Don had to move on to other patients, but he asked the house elf to watch over them and to please get him if either were to wake. He wanted to be the first person to greet them, they had both saved the magical world after all.

A couple of hours passed, and another worn and haggard looking man pulled up a chair to sit beside the wounded headmaster. Scars marked his face, and hardships through the years had turned his once sandy brown hair gray. He was tired and grieving, but he couldn't not come see his pup. 

Sensing the other's presence, Severus began to stir. Before the elf could pop away to get the healer, Remus motioned for him to give them a minute alone. The elf nodded in understanding and popped away.

Severus woke slowly, but it was not lost on him that there was someone sitting next to him. They were probably here to take him away to Azkaban. He guessed that was the least he deserved, even though he had hoped that would not be his outcome. When he opened his eyes though and saw the former Marauder, he sighed and rolled his eyes. "Wolf."

Remus smiled warmly and softly spoke, "It's good to see you're alright, Severus. How is Harry?"

The man grunted and sat up a little straighter in his chair, so he was no longer reclining. "He'll be fine. His hip though was quite damaged, and he will probably limp for the rest of his life. I assume that's where the curse hit him."

Nodding, Remus gave the boy on the bed a sad look. "So much pain for one so young."

Still tired from his ordeal, Severus closed his eyes slightly and nodded. "How are his friends? Everyone else? I only saw Minerva and Poppy after I was brought in."

Remus leaned back in his chair and was quiet for a moment, but then spoke so softly that Severus had to strain to hear him. "Hermione and Ron are pretty beat up, but otherwise fine. Ginny suffered a nasty blow from a curse, but will survive. The Weasley's… Fred is gone and Charlie is in critical care. …and…"

Here the tired, worn man sobbed silently into his hands. He pulled out an obviously already used handkerchief and blew his nose. Severus reached over and placed a hand on the other's shoulder to show that he was there to support him. They may not have been close in the past, but Severus understood losing a loved one. The way the man was acting, he was pretty sure who else they had lost.

Eventually, Remus regained his composure. "Tonks. We lost Tonks."

Severus squeezed the man's shoulder, trying to comfort him the only way he could. "I am sorry."

Remus just nodded sadly and looked down at his lap. "Teddy, at least Teddy isn't an orphan."

Severus nodded and looked at the boy on the bed. "Yes, he'll have you to spoil and love him and a godfather who will do the same." He then removed his hand from the man's shoulder and the two shared a sad silence, knowing Harry would give Teddy what he had missed out on. 

After a few moments, the healer walked over with a small, comforting smile on his face. "I see the house elf gave you two a moment to speak. I hope nothing too taxing. The headmaster here, while he is a stubborn thing, was terribly injured. I believe the only thing that saved him was the antidote he conveniently had on him. If he had ingested that minutes later, he wouldn't be here right now. And then he went to try to heal Mr. Potter here, draining the remainder of his magic."

Remus looked over at the stern man, who was rolling his eyes in protest as the healer cast a diagnostic charm on him and fussed over the wound on his neck. He hadn't realized how close it had been for him, sure he knew he had been injured, but not that severely. 

As the healer finished with Severus, he then turned his scrutinizing eye to Remus. Having the attention turned on him like this made him feel like a school child caught in the middle of a prank. Don ran his wand over the haggard looking man running a diagnostic and sighed dramatically. "So you haven't been healed yet either. What am I going to do with you wizards?"

He dug around in his robe pocket and dug out a healing balm and handed it to Remus. "Use this on your smaller cuts. Now, let me see your leg."

Remus, feeling properly scolded, took the balm and lifted his left pant leg to reveal a fairly nasty wound from a cutting curse. The healer just sighed and shook his head. "And you didn't get this taken care of earlier because?"

Remus smiled sheepishly. "Well, there were so many others hurt worse than I…"

"Not an excuse." The healer interrupted as he grabbed some unused bandages on a table nearby and some cleansing potion from his robe. He quickly cleaned the wound and then wrapped it tight with the roll of bandages. 

When he finished, he allowed the man to move his pants leg back into place and gave him an appraising look. "You need rest, but I know you won't listen until you collapse. So please just promise me you'll take it easy?"

Remus nodded, and the healer turned and looked at the boy on the bed. He ran the same diagnostic charm and nodded in approval. The boy was stable and sleeping well. At least one of his patients was easy, unconscious yes, but at least not trying to injure himself further or being stubborn.

Don turned to look at the other two men. "I have to go attend others. Promise me you'll rest and not strain yourself? Huh? Have a house elf fetch me if you need anything."

Both nodded and watched the healer walk away. As soon as he left, they couldn't help but look at each other and laugh. They didn't know whether it was the strangeness of the situation or just the overwhelming amount of stress finally releasing that made them laugh. Regardless, it was good for each of them.

When they calmed down, Remus looked at Severus with a sobering look. "You came close to death, didn't you?"

Severus closed his eyes and leaned his head back while nodding. "I knew there might come a time when I was no longer useful for The Dark Lord. I had brewed the antidote and carried it around for years. I am glad I had the foresight to do so." 

The former potion's professor then started to lightly doze again. All the energy was fading from his body. Remus gave the man a sad smile. What a hard life the man had led. So much pain, and then this last year must have been brutal for him.

Remus then transfigured his chair into a nice recliner like the one Severus was in, and leaned back to take his own rest. He knew Harry would not wake for a while, and Severus was likely to rest for a while too.

As the hours passed, the elder Weasley's came to check on the three, and so did Minerva. They were all glad to see Harry and the two men in one piece. Injured, but still alive and going to heal just fine. 

The afternoon soon changed to evening as the lights dimmed and the bustling of the healers started to slow. As it did, Arthur settled in a chair on the other side of Harry's bed, but not before he checked on Severus's and Remus's and made sure to recline the chairs a bit more, so they wouldn't get a crick in their necks.

He supposed out of everyone, these three had been affected the most by the war. Severus's with his spy duties, Remus with his furry little problem and spying of his own, and Harry… Harry had too much put on his young shoulders.

The man looked down at the young boy, who now had more than just his trademark scar on his face. He had decided to come sit here to get away from his brood for a while. He loved his family very much, but occasionally, it could be a little overwhelming. Molly was an outstanding mother to all her children, but she could be overbearing at times, and one of those times was now. Not that he could ever blame her. She had just lost a son and wanted to hold the rest of her family as close as she could.

With the thought of the loss of his son, Arthur's breath hitched, and he wiped his tears away with his handkerchief. His Fred, one of his twins. His baby boy. 

As the man sat there quietly and wept into his handkerchief, he felt a bandaged hand rest on his knee. He looked up and softly smiled through his tears at the still teen on the bed who was trying to comfort him even though he was injured himself. 

Arthur cleared his throat and then said softly, "Hey there. How are you feeling?"

Harry with blurry vision blinked a few times, making out that it had been his friend's father crying next to him. Next thing he knew through, the man had handed him a pair of glasses for him to put on. 

"It seems they're a bit broken. I know they tried to fix them with spells, but it appears you'll need a new pair."

Harry put on his glasses and attempted to sit up a bit more to look around where he was. He was met with pain in his hip as he moved though and gave up quickly. Seeing the struggle, Arthur grabbed some pillows and helped the boy sit up without having to move his lower half.

The young man nodded his thanks and looked around the full hospital wing, failing to notice the two men in the recliners next to him. He then looked at the older man. "Ginny? Everyone?"

Sadly, Arthur smiled and took Harry's bandaged hand in his. "We lost some people. Ginny will be fine, but is injured. We lost Fred and Charley has been a bit of touch and go."

Harry looked down at the sheets on his bed. He felt relief that most of his friends were ok, but sadness over Fred. He couldn't imagine how the man sitting was feeling. "Remus? Is he alright?"

Arthur pointed to the recliner next to his bed. "He fell asleep watching over you. Tonks, we lost her."

Harry took a deep breath to steady himself for the loss of Tonks, and then he saw who was in the other recliner. "Snape?"

Again the older man nodded. "He somehow survived and insisted he heal you himself. He did too much though and wore his magic out."

Harry, still staring at the dour man, just nodded. "Does everyone know? Were his memories shared?"

"Yes, at first, they wanted to arrest him, but Minerva intervened."

"Good. He doesn't deserve to go to Azkaban."

Arthur nodded, "I agree. However, you didn't answer my question. How are you feeling, Harry?"

The teen looked over at Arthur and then down to appraise the sling around his arm and the bandaged around his other hand. "Sore, but alright." 

The man rose an eyebrow. "When you tried to move, that was more than just sore. Do you need a pain potion?"

Embarrassed, Harry nodded, making the other man sigh. But he reached for the potion on the bedside table that he knew was a pain potion and handed it to the boy. Harry had some difficulty holding it with one hand bandaged and the other arm in a sling, but he managed to do so. "No need to be embarrassed, Harry. You were quite injured. It's alright to need a potion to feel better."

The teen just looked away, carefully bringing the potion to his mouth and downing it in one go. He grimaced at the taste, but visibly relaxed a few seconds later as it started to take effect and take the edge off the sharp throbbing in his hip and his arm. He then handed the vial back to the older man, who placed it back on the table. 

After a small silence, Arthur spoke again. "Do you want anything to eat."

Harry shook his head. "No, thank you."

The other man nodded, but ever the parent still he summoned a house elf and asked him to bring a small mug of chicken broth and some tea for him. "When was the last time you ate?"

Harry thought for a moment and then shrugged his shoulders, making the other man nod. "With all the potions in your system, it would be good for you to have something of substance in your stomach. Ron told me food wasn't that easy to come by when you guys were out on the run. Just a couple of sips if you can."

The elf popped back and gingerly handed the mug to Harry, who took it with a nod. The elf then placed the tea on the bedside table for Arthur. The man nodded at the elf in thanks and then watched as Harry took a few slow sips of the warm soup.

After those few sips, Happy rested the mug in his lap and stared at the steam slowly rising. "What now?"

Arthur didn't know whether the teen was asking him or just wondering aloud. He assumed it was the latter, though, but answered the boy anyway. "We recover and then move on with our lives."

Still looking down at the steam coming from his mug, Harry sighed tiredly. "How?"

The other man opened his mouth to reassure Harry, but before he could speak a grumpy voice from the recliner next to Harry harrumphed, making the two look over at the dour man who was pushing himself into a sitting position. "First heal, then worry about being introspective."

Arthur rose an eyebrow and hid a small smile, but nodded. "I agree with Severus. We're all here to help you with that. First, you need to heal."

Severus threw the blanket off himself and made his recliner upright. Before he could stand, though, Arthur had gotten up and moved to help him. The dour man scowled up at him, but he allowed the other to help. He hated to admit it, but he was still frail from magical exhaustion. Likely he would be for some time.

Instead of scolding the man for getting up so soon, Arthur just gently helped him get to where he needed to go. "Where to Severus."

Not amused in the slightest, Severus practically spit out that he needed to use the washroom. Before making their way over to their destination, Arthur looked over at Harry and indicated that they would be right back. As soon as he was met with a nod from the boy, he began to help Severus walk to the restroom, so he could relieve himself.

Quietly they walked across the still somewhat busy hospital wing with Arthur's arm under Severus's. If so much tragedy had not happened in the last forty-eight hours, the students who could see them would have wondered if they were in an alternate universe. The dungeon bat being helped by a parent of some of his most annoying students. But so much had changed, and everyone was wrought with exhaustion and grief. No one even batted an eye at the strange duo.

When the two men reached their destination, Severus was grateful he could manage to go inside by himself and retain some of his dignity. It was not an easy journey, and he had to keep himself steady using the wall, but he had managed to relieve himself and then wash up a bit in the sink. He was truly grateful to be able to wash his face, the cool water did wonders.

After a while he came out, using the wall for support, Arthur gently placed an arm around his shoulders and helped him walk back to his chair. When they reached the recliner, though, Severus looked at the other man helping him and closed his eyes briefly, tiredly. "I appreciate the help."

The elder Weasley nodded slightly in acknowledgment, and then helped the man sit down in his chair. Much to Severus's protest and displeasure, a blanket was draped over his lap. He was not a baby after all! Secretly he was grateful though for the added warmth, and the blanket stayed on his lap as the other man went back to the other side of Harry.

Harry, meanwhile, had watched the interaction with a small smile on his face. His worry about his life momentarily forgotten. It had been a good distraction for him. He took a few more sips of his soup and looked down at his cup, the distraction of the other men arguing had faded quickly. His mind went back to the dark place it had gone to before, but soon he was shaken out of it by a warm hand coming to rest on his.

This time he looked up at the warm smile Arthur was giving him. He took a good look at the man and saw the red rimmed eye and the new cuts and scrapes he had from the battle. He was just as worse for ware as the rest of them. 

Harry didn't know what to say, so waited for the older man to break the newfound silence. However, before Arthur could say anything, Severus gruffly spoke. "Mr. Potter." The man closed his eyes. "I understand that your emotions and feelings are all over the place. you were not expecting to survive this ordeal." Severus opened his eyes and looked at the boy meaningfully. "I am in much the same state. I did not expect to survive the war. You need to focus on healing before anything else."

Harry looked at the warm hand that was still on his and then up at Severus. "Sir. I'm glad you're here."

The man just nodded at the teen and then closed his eyes tiredly again. With a small sigh, he started to snore lightly. At least someone was glad he was still around.

Arthur removed his hand and indicated for Harry to take some more sips of his soup and finish it. "I am glad you're here too, Harry. And Ginny was very relieved when I told her you had come back to us."

Harry finished his soup and looked up at his best friend's father with relief in his eyes. "She was? Could you please help me see her?"

The man gently took the cup from Harry and put it on the bedside table. As soon as it hit the table, an elf snapped it away to be cleaned. He looked at the young man who was looking at him hopefully and silently sighed. "I don't think Madam Pomfrey would ever forgive me if I let you out of this bed, Harry. You are badly injured."

The young man looked down at his bandaged hand, but then looked up at the man with some renewed hope in his eye. "Can you transfigure a wheelchair? Please?" 

"A wheelchair eh?" Arthur looked up at Severus, who gave a slight nod with his eyes still closed. He figured that was as much permission he would get for moving the boy out of bed. Severus did mostly heal Harry after all.

So, Arthur got out of his chair and pointed his wand at it, transfiguring it into what he thought a wheelchair looked like. It certainly wasn't anything like a muggle wheelchair, but it would work, despite the many small rollerblade wheels on the bottom.

Harry slightly smiled at the odd contraception, but shook the covers off his legs and attempted to move off the bed. Before he could even attempt to move though, though, Arthur was there lifting him up and placing him in the chair, so his hip was not jostled and cause the teen pain. Harry was truly grateful because he really didn't think he could have managed on his own, no matter his determination. 

Just as Arthur began to push Harry's chair back, the worn werewolf woke in his chair. Panicked, not remembering just where he had fallen asleep, Remus shot to his feet and looked around with his wand pointed in defense. When he realized he wasn't under attack, the man put his wand away in his robes and his face slightly flushed red in embarrassment. He then looked around and saw Severus still in his recliner with his eyes closed and then over to Harry in his wheelchair who had been watching him. 

Immediately, Remus walked over to Harry and Arthur and knelt beside the teen, so they were the same height. "Harry. I'm so glad you're awake."

Harry with wet eyes nodded and placed a hand on Remus's. "Tonks. I am so sorry."

With wet eyes on his own, Remus nodded and leaned in to gently hug the boy. "She knew the risks of the battle, as we all did." The man drew back and tucked the hair out of Harry's face behind his ear with a wet smile. "I know I don't have much, but I wondered if after you heal you would come live with Teddy and I. Albus, before he passed, set up a small cabin for me by the sea, and I'm going to need some help with Teddy."

Conflicted, Harry looked into the man's eyes searchingly. He was touched by the offer, but he didn't know where his life was going to take him after the war. He didn't know who he was anymore. His purpose in life was done. Sensing the boy's conflicting emotions, Remus took his somewhat wet handkerchief and wiped his eyes, and then rested his hand back on Harry's. "It's alright, Harry, you don't have to answer me now. Think about it. I won't be upset if you have other plans."

Harry nodded and took his hand back to lift his arm and wipe his own face on his sleeve. His emotions were really everywhere, but he had been through a lot these last few days. He figured it must be a side effect from almost dying.

Remus stood up and nodded at Arthur, but then looked back down at Harry. "Where were you guys headed. I'm sorry I interrupted you two."

Arthur is the one who answered for Harry. "We were going to see Ginny."

The werewolf smiled in understanding. "Then you better go see her."

Harry nodded and Arthur started to wheel him over to where Ginny was on the other side of the room, leaving Remus behind to sit beside Severus, who was lightly snoozing.

When the pair got closer to Ginny's bed, Harry was suddenly covered by two teenagers. Hermione and Ron were so happy to see their friend up and out of bed, they covered him in a giant hug, cautious of his injuries. They had tried to go see him earlier, but they had been shooed away by the healers while he was sleeping.

The three stayed in their hug for a while as relief flowed through them, knowing the Harry was alive and there. Ron especially had been worried he had lost his best friend when he had walked out into the forest like he had.

Eventually, the two drew back and looked at their friend. Hermione took stock of all of Harry's injuries that she could see and then directly into Harry's eyes as if she was searching for answers. Knowing her look well, Harry nodded and gave her a small smile. "I'm alright Mione."

The girl closed her eyes for a moment and shook her head. "No, you're not, Harry. You're injured." She took a breath. "You will be, though, now that everything is over."

Hermione took Ron's hand in hers and squeezed it for comfort. Harry noticed that both his friends looked pretty beat up too. Bruises and cuts, and Ron even had a nice gash on his face. Before Harry could ask about their injuries, though, Ron gave him a smile and a pat in the back. "No need to worry about us, mate. We will be fine."

Harry nodded and looked beyond his friend to the figure on the bed. Harry, being his impatient self, tried to get out of his chair and walk to the bed. His hip protested loudly, though, and he found himself still sitting and a worried Arthur pushing his friends out of the way to see how he hurt himself. His shirt was lifted as his hip burned in agony, and it felt warm and wet. The bone was healing slowly, and the jostle had not helped the healing of it nor the knife wound.

After a few moments, the pain eased back to its dull throbbing, as a dark figure had seemingly appeared out of nowhere and shoved a pain potion down his throat. The dark figure had knocked Arthur out of the way in his rush to aid the boy. While the boy drank the potion, Severus was checking the bones to make sure nothing was knocked out of place and re-bandaging the knife wound on Harry's hip. Somehow it had broken open again, even though he had thought it had healed over. He gently spoke to Harry, scolding him for moving so rashly, but also reassuring him that he would be alright. He was worried about that knife wound, he would have to consult the other healer later.

For Harry's two friends, it was quite an odd site to see. Their former potions master who had never been kind to Harry had seemingly woken up from a dead sleep and had moved faster than anyone had thought possible as soon as Harry had yelped out in pain. And now incredibly he was kneeling in front of Harry making sure he was properly healed and alright. 

When Severus saw that the pain eased, he sighed in relief and looked up to Arthur for a little help. Adrenalin did strange things to someone. He had heard that scream and his body had just moved despite all his arches and pains, but now that the rush was over he was feeling his body again. Fortunately, for Severus, Arthur understood and helped the man to his feet without a word.

The elder Weasley didn't release his grip from his arm, though. "Ron, could you please make sure Harry gets over to Ginny, and he does not get up again? I am going to make sure your Professor here sits down and stays there until he's fully healed."

Severus grumbled and Ron nodded. Hermione was fussing over Harry and missed the little interaction until Ron came over to pat her on the back. She looked up at him and nodded, and the three teens started to head over to Ginny's bed.

Knowing that Harry was in good hands, and would soon be in Molly's, Arthur started to slowly help Severus back to his recliner. After a few moments of moving in silence, Arthur spoke. "What made you move so?"

Severus just looked at his destination and sighed. "I don't really know. I think it has to do with when I gave him my memories. As I laid there, he let down his shields and I saw what was in his mind. More than I am sure he wanted me to see. It….it left a sort of connection."

"A connection?"

Severus gave a slight nod as he was lowered back down into his chair. "I felt his mind scream out for help. The adrenalin did the rest." The man yawned and half closed his eyes.

The elder Weasley nodded and gave a soft smile. "I know things have been difficult the last year or so. Do you have a place to go to recover after leaving here?"

Severus opened his eyes to look at the other man. "I will go back to my quarters here." 

Arthur sat on the edge of Harry's bed to get more on the other man's level. "Why don't you come back to the Burrow with us? Remus," Arthur waved at the man who was watching the interaction with interest, "Offered for Harry to go stay with him. I think it would be good for him to be out of the public eye for a bit. And I think it would be good for you to be around others who can help you. At least while you recover."

The dour man shook his head. "Thank you, but I think I will decline."

Nodding in understanding, Arthur sighed. "I know we seem like a motley crew, but we have a bedroom that has silencing charms on it near the garden for when the kids are sick. Or Molly and I just need a quiet moment. Magical exhaustion is really no joke, as you know, and you really shouldn't go back to your rooms alone for a while."

Severus shifted nervously. The man had a point. Likely, the healers wouldn't let him leave here unless he went somewhere he could have help. But the Weasley's? He mentally shuttered at the thought of the chaos, but he sadly thought that might be less now that one twin was gone and another was in critical care. He then looked over at the man and nodded slightly. "Let me think about it."

Arthur smiled and patted the man's knee as he got up and started to walk away. "Molly will be pleased to hear that. I am too."

Severus started to protest as the man walked away, but it was a moot point, what was done was done. He was now apparently an honorary Wesley. How the heck did that happen?

Dumbfounded, Servers had forgotten Remus was nearby until he spoke. "Well, looks like you have been adopted. Molly will never let you leave, you know?"

Severus looked over at the man and sighed. "I said I would think about it, not that I agreed to his plan. Why would they want me after all?"

Remus smiled sadly. "I did not go unnoticed how you protected the kids this last year even though you were pretending to be the evil greasy git. It also did not go unnoticed that you have been dealt quite a hard hand in life." Remus looked down and away. "I apologize for any role I played for making your life harder all those years ago."

The professor was silent for a moment. "I forgave you all long ago. I know you were just foolish kids."

"We were very foolish. I regret everything we did every day."

Severus just nodded and let out a breath. "I hope now that HE is gone, life will start to get better. For both of us and for Potter." The man looked at Remus. "You should look into getting a mind healer for Potter to speak with. He has been dealing with more than a grown adult should have to deal with, and he is still a teenager."

Remus nodded. "The healer, Don, that took over after you exhausted yourself has offered to help. He is not only a certified general healer, but a mind healer and has trained in muggle talk therapy too,"

The dour man closed his eyes again and nodded softly. "I'm glad to hear that. He needs all the support he can get."

Sadly, Remus nodded. "He's not the only one." 

On the other side of the room, Remus watched as Harry laid his head in Ginny's lap, and she silently stroked his hair. His heart was broken over losing Tonks, but he was grateful that the healing could begin.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3795