Pawned by Skylar Kay Nash
Summary: In desperate need of funds, Snape begrudgingly pawned the watch his mother had given him when he came of age, but he'd still recognize it anywhere. When he sees that Harry Potter has donned this all these years later, he is willing to do whatever it takes to retrieve it.
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Misc > All written in Snape's POV Main Characters: None
Snape Flavour: Snape is Desperate
Genres: Drama
Media Type: None
Tags: Adoption
Takes Place: 6th Year
Warnings: Self-harm
Prompts: Pawnshop
Challenges: Pawnshop
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 1708 Read: 2664 Published: 18 Oct 2022 Updated: 27 Oct 2022
Story Notes:
Here's the timeline.

1. The Watch by Skylar Kay Nash

2. Gleaming by Skylar Kay Nash

3. Watched by Skylar Kay Nash

4. Fixed by Skylar Kay Nash

5. Harry by Skylar Kay Nash

The Watch by Skylar Kay Nash
It was 1977. I had to make some money to get new robes. Second hand robes in seventh year would be awful. It was bad enough I was getting everything else second hand, but I could hardly afford second hand robes anyway.

I had to do something. So I went into Borgin and Burkes to pawn my prized possession. My mother gave me a watch for my seventeenth birthday.

It was everything to me, but it was all I had of Value. So I sold it. I loved it so much, I was sure if ever I saw it again, I'd recognize it.

I only hoped I'd retrieve it one day.


1996. I was not looking forward to my 6th year Defense Against the Dark Arts Class. True, I finally got my ideal job, which meant Dumbledore trusted me, but I thought I finally got rid of Potter. But, he did get outstanding in his DADA Owl examinations last year.

As the class filed in, I noticed Potter had a new watch. Well, relatively new. The face was scratched. Then I realized. It was the watch. The one I sold 19 years ago.

Here it was. And he had it. Potter of all people. I watched him closely throughout the class. He put his wand tip to the glass, absentmindedly. I took a sharp breath. He muttered a charm. Reparo, but nothing happened.

He sighed. I let out a breath of relief. He was only trying to fix it. At least no harm was done. I knew how to fix it, but how to get it?

I wasn't sure he'd believe I'd return it, which I wouldn't, but I needed it back. It was from my mother. For the next several days, I watched him more closely than usual, to the point where Dumbledore called me to his office.

I was under the impression he thought I was obsessed with the boy. It wasn't him, it was my watch. I needed it back.
I was going to get it back.
To be continued...
End Notes:
What would you like to see snape try to get the watch? What do you think he should try? Comment your thoughts down below.

Also, I just revised and edited it to match the Preferred standards.
Gleaming by Skylar Kay Nash
Author's Notes:
Snape is obsessed yo!
It was two weeks after I had first seen him with it. It seemed he noticed I was watching more carefully. I had to be more discreet. And so, I waited for my chance.

The first quidditch game of the season was fast approaching. Surely he wouldn't wear it during the match. He'd likely have it in his locker.

Locker 7. I had to be patient. Then, Malfoy tried to assassinate Albus. He'd used a cursed necklace, which was to be sent by Katie Bell.

Sloppy. He was lucky Katie survived. I cornered him.

"Mr. Malfoy, are you trying to get killed?" I demanded. He looked up, defiance etched all over his face.

"I don't need your help." He snapped, and he walked off. He was going to get killed.

I had to choose. My mother's watch, or my unbreakable vow. If I were to die soon, I wanted my mother's watch with me.

As the school filed into the stands, I watched Potter closely. Just as I predicted, He didn't have the watch. Once the match started, I'd go to the Gryffindor locker room, and get it.

I had to wait just a bit longer. Just wait for the whistle. Malfoy was nowhere to be seen. What if he was plotting again, or risking his life again?

Once again, I am faced with a choice. Protect him, or get the watch. I look over my shoulder, and notice Albus watching me. He smiles.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Hehe

Revised and edited.
Watched by Skylar Kay Nash
Author's Notes:
Another chapter, my faithful readers.
I walked into the locker room, opened his locker, and saw some battered objects. There was a book, roughly bound in leather, a different beaten watch, which I supposed is why he bought this one, my watch.

I found a ripped picture of Lily, a letter to someone named snuffles.
Someone cleared their throat behind me. I jumped and turned. Albus.

"Severus, it is against the school policy to steal." He said softly, his piercing blue eyes seem to x-ray me. It was like he knew what I was thinking.

"Headmaster, I-" I began, but he raised a hand to silence me.

"I know why you're here, Severus. I know what you came for. But it is his now." Albus told me.

I looked at my feet. I didn't know what to say.

"Severus, you've been practically following him everywhere, and neglecting a job I have given you." Albus added. He sounded disappointed in me, which was worse than if he had yelled. I'd rather he yelled.

It would have made things much simpler. But Albus never yelled at me. Albus took out a quill and parchment, and began to write.

I watched, confused by his reaction. He slipped it in the locker beside me, and closed it. I followed him out, and we watched the rest of the game.

It was dull, especially as I had been thwarted. The watch would be mine, It had to be. After the game, I went to my office.

It was an hour or so later that there came a timid knock on my door. There was Harry Potter, something clutched in his hand. He had my watch on his wrist again.

It was all I could do not to confund him into giving it to me then and there.

"Professor? Professor Dumbledore told me you could fix my watch. It was a gift from Hermione, and it broke in a Quidditch game. Would you?" He asked, opening his hands, and showing me the battered watch I had seen earlier.

I nodded, and he handed it to me. I figured he'd already tried a repairing charm, so I resolved to fix it manually.

Maybe, by fixing this, he'd give me mine back willingly. If I am right, I'll never sell it again.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Revised and edited.
Fixed by Skylar Kay Nash
Author's Notes:
Due to a question from a delightful reader and author, shadowienne, I have decided to answer it with a chapter. We'll be going back in time in Snape's memory during this chapter.
It was getting late. I decided it was time for bed. I knew I wasn't done fixing the watch for Potter, but I am certain by my next damned potions lesson with Gryffindor, I would be. I went to sleep.

"I am sorry Severus, but someone bought the watch years ago. Not long after you sold it actually." Borgin told me.

"Who?" I asked hopefully, thinking he could buy it from them.

"Dolores Umbridge." Borgin told me. My heart sank. By now, she had probably made some cock and bull story about the watch, how it was a valuable heirloom from some famous pureblood wizard.

I woke from his dream. I remembered trying to trace the watch, but all I knew was that it was stolen from Umbridge by Mundungus, who sold it at the boars head. The trail went cold from there, and I never found it.

But I know where it is now. I knew I had to get it back. I dressed and left my chamber. I had decided to visit the head master.

Albus dumbledore was at his desk. The painting of Phineas Nigellus. "I believe Severus will be here in a few moments."

"You called for him?" Asked Nigellus, confused. Though he had been awake for much time, All he'd seen Albus do was snack on some lemon drops. He never sent an owl, or used the floo. He never summoned anyone.

"Oh no. But I know Severus. He is troubled. Harry Potter has found the watch Severus's mother gave him when he came of age. At the time, he'd had to sell it, but he went back to buy it back, and it was gone. I daresay Harry found it in a muggle shop." Dumbledore mused.

"Oh drama. Not again." Nigellus groaned. The door opened, and I walked in. "You called it." Nigellus said, and he left his portrait. I froze. He called it? Does that mean....

"You knew I was coming?" I asked. Dumbledore nodded.

"Then, you must know why." Once again, Dumbledore nodded.

"Holiday Blancmange, Severus?" Offered Dumbledore. I struggled internally. I really wanted to accept. I hadn't had any in a while, as no one made it in hogsmeade anymore, but I knew I couldn't allow myself to be distracted.

"No thank you professor." I replied. Albus smiled. "I will have it sent to your room." He said gently.

I relaxed and took a seat opposite the headmaster. He watched me carefully.

"I know you want the watch back. But, any attempts to steal it from Potter would be against the rules. Be smart about this Severus. And know spelling him." He added, as I began to debate which Spell would work best. At that, I felt hopeless. I knew potter would never give it to me.

Still, I sighed, and left. As promised, the Holiday Blancmange was waiting for me in my room. I couldn't resist much longer.
To be continued...
End Notes:
Does this help?
Harry by Skylar Kay Nash
At the very beginning of my lesson today, I slipped the watch Potter wanted me to fix to him, and said nothing of it to him. I couldn't look at him. Gryffindor seemed happier now that I'd left them alone. Goyle blew up his cauldron.

"What did you do?" I asked. It was such a basic and safe potion. How could that idiot have blown up the cauldron. I investigated.

"Tell me, that you did not add erumpent horn essence." I groaned through gritted teeth.

"I didn't have beetle eyes, so I thought that would be a good substitute. It looks similar to me." The insolent fool replied.

"Similar in appearance means nothing to similar in components. 15 points from Slytherin, and a detention, Goyle." I hissed. everyone looked stunned. at the end of class, as everyone brought up their Phials of potion. Potter waited until everyone else left, then came up to my desk.

"Thank you so much professor. You have no idea how much it means to me." Potter said, having switched watches.

"Just don't play Quidditch while wearing it Potter. It could have been so much worse." I replied.

Then, he did something unexpected. He took the other watch from his pocket, and handed it to me. "I don't need this one anymore, so as a thank you, I want you to have it." He told me.

For once, I was speechless. There was no need to try and get it back forcefully. I took it in my hands gingerly. Potter smiled, and left.
To be continued...
End Notes:
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3799