Christmas in Limbo by SerenaEW
Summary: Christmas Eve 1997. All is not well.
Harry Potter's successful capture by Nagini in Godric's Hollow prompts some divine intervention and leads to astonishing revelations.

One of quite a few Harry Potter fanfics inspired by Charles Dickens' "Christmas Carol".
Categories: Parental Snape > Biological Father Snape, Fic Fests > Bingo! Fic Fest, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Foes Snape and Harry, Snape Equal Status to Harry > Comrades Snape and Harry Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Lily
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Snape is Kind
Genres: Angst, Drama, Family, Horror
Media Type: None
Tags: Alternate Universe, Snape-meets-Dursleys, Time Travel
Takes Place: 7th Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 4651 Read: 1963 Published: 24 Dec 2022 Updated: 08 Jan 2023
Story Notes:
Hello everyone!

This is for my amazing friends.
Mothboss, you sounded excited at the prospect of a Christmas Carol Severitus adaptation of mine, so here it is! Thank you for being such a wonderful friend!
Amelia, thank you for listening to me rant and rave about my experiments, and just about life in general!
Thank you, Renee, for your massive help, and for being there for me all the time!
I'm so, so honoured to have you!

This idea has been stewing in my head for more than a year now. I wanted to write this story to sort-of honour my roots because I started my journey as a fanfic reader and writer with (platonic) Mentor!Snape and Biodad!Snape stories - actually, one of the first works on I read here on Potions and Snitches is inspired by A Christmas Carol, and my very first ideas had Biodad!Snape plot elements.

The story idea started off as a response to the Slither Back challenge here on P&S, and has since evolved into... This.

The Bingo Fic Fest is providing the perfect opportunity for me to write this fic and, well, kill a few birds with one stone. I will add the bingo prompts to the chapters as I go.

The story turned out quite a lot darker than I thought - but don't worry. I will move heaven and earth to get to the fluff in the end.

As usual, anything recognisable belongs to JKR, or Dickens, and the publishers.

I hope y'all enjoy! Merry Festive Season, wherever you are!
Prologue by SerenaEW
Author's Notes:
I'm still writing on this, but I wanted to put up the Prologue today so that I can safely say that I started publishing it this Christmas haha :D

Bingo Prompts:
Card 2: O3: Fighting
Card 4: O5: I will only slow you down
Card 6: G5: lured into a trap

In some twisted universe, perhaps, it could be considered funny that Voldemort should deliver the final blows to Britain's magical world on Christmas Eve. 

The Second Wizarding War had been ravaging the country for two and a half years now, and still, there seemed to be no end in sight.

In the darkness of the small village of Godric's Hollow, all was not well.

The cold silence was split by a pain-filled scream from the ruins of a house, destroyed one and a half decades ago. The expression of agony was only slightly muffled by the massive snake that had wound itself around the body of the screaming young man, locking him to the floor.

Fangs were buried deeply in his left arm, blood seeping out of now open wounds.

A young woman charged into the room. She skidded to a halt when she saw the chaos in front of her, before swiftly aiming a — seemingly harmless — stick at the massive creature. "Bombarda! "

A shockwave of magic pulsed through the ruins of the room, but the snake did not budge.

"Confringo! "

The whole house was now shaking dangerously with the impact of the spells. Splinters of wood and broken glass were flying everywhere. But the large viper, protected by an invisible shield, did not care for the desperate blasts sent its way. It merely tightened its hold and bit down harder on its prey. 

The young man, in turn, cried out again when he felt the shards and splinters slice his skin. His body was still spasming against the heavy creature chaining him to the floor — in vain.

Seeing his struggles, the young woman sought to approach the other teen, when she tripped over one of the snake's large, thrashing coils.

"No! Get out. Don't wait for me. Only - slow you down."

His anguished voice was growing weaker by the moment. 

"Harry!" the girl shrieked. "No!" 

"You get away - long as you can — he's coming! Vol- You-Know-Who. Mione, he's coming!" 

A crack, like a gunshot. Then cruel, high-pitched laughter chilled the air in demonic triumph.

"Get — safety — Burrow — Order… Now…" the boy whispered, before he fell unconscious.

To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3827