Whatever It Takes by SanctuaryAngel
Summary: Taking place directly after the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry is trying to deal with his trauma from the course of the events of the war and struggles to confront it, along with trying to manage his grief. Snape survived but disappeared in shame and remorse after the battle. Harry finds him, and they both discover that they have more in common now more than ever - Both are struggling with their sense of self and purpose. But stray Death Eaters from the battle are re-grouping for a final stand to take out the great Harry Potter, and their traitor, and Harry and Snape must put aside their differences to end the fight once and for all, whilst dealing with Snapes' illness along the way. Explores darker themes of grief, self-blame, PTSD, depression, and suicidal ideation.
Categories: Misc > No category on the site fits Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Draco, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Narcissa, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Depression Recovery, Injured!Snape
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Death, Eating Disorder, Panic attack, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 65 Completed: Yes Word count: 443363 Read: 40085 Published: 01 Feb 2023 Updated: 02 Sep 2023
CH 29: A Hopeful Heart by SanctuaryAngel
Grimmauld Place was most certainly the busiest it has ever been. Harry was incredibly thankful – and relieved – by the space it held. With it still acting as safe Headquarters, they desperately needed it. After the rescue mission at the Tintern Quarry, they spent that night attending to those that they were able to save. The nine remaining prisoners, including little Elias and Ginny, were taken to St. Mungos for a health assessment and any treatment they may need. Molly had accompanied her daughter on this journey and refused to leave her side.

However, much to their disappointment, Lee Jordan was not among the rescued, as well as Dean Thomas' parents. That could only mean that there was another location well-hidden and closely guarded. After this attack, they were surely made aware of the rescue attempt and that could pose an even bigger problem, further fortifying their defenses. But that would have to be a dilemma for another day.

The DA, including the additional Weasleys, managed to escape the Quarry in one piece. Besides minor injuries, they were able to attend to each other fixing minor cuts and bruises. Despite the unfortunate death of one of the victims, they did better than they expected. Catching the Death Eaters off-guard certainly worked in their favor, even despite Harry's and Snape's near-miss.

Arthur had contacted and alerted Minister Shacklebolt, who arrived at Grimmauld Place immediately in person. Harry and Arthur were able to brief him on the situation, despite Arthur's frustration with Snape leading them there in the first place. In a way, Harry was relieved that Kingsley was understanding towards Snape, but he only wished Arthur extended the same. He really didn't want to argue with him about it, so they did their best to keep their conversation rather minimal on that subject. Once Kingsley was made aware of the Auror imposters at the Quarry in regard to the Dementors, he sent for assistance using Aurors – in which he interrogated himself – to sweep the area. Three Death Eaters were found dead – well brutalized, courtesy of Snape - and eight others were incapacitated, and taken straight to Azkaban. It wasn't many, but it was something. That left eleven Death Eaters unable to attack another innocent life again.

Once Kingsley departed with Arthur and Percy back to the Ministry to deal with the immediate aftermath, the remaining official members of Dumbledore's Army dispersed back to their respective homes to recover. Eventually Harry, Hermione, Fleur, and the rest of the Weasleys – now currently Ron, George, and Bill - made their way to St. Mungo's to visit Ginny.

At barely six in the morning, the group departed Grimmauld Place, and made their way to the familiar old Muggle department store, left derelict. But once they stepped through the window of Purge and Dowse, they entered the busy reception of St. Mungo's Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Behind the reception desk, was a large emblem of the hospital; a wand crossed with a bone. Bill immediately approached the reception desk and the blonde-haired witch behind the counter was able to re-direct them to Ginny, who was thankfully allocated a private room on the fourth floor. Entering the familiar floor, they passed by multiple Healers adorned in identical lime-green robes, with the hospital emblem imprinted on the left side of their robe. As they turned down the corridor, they passed by the Janus Thickey Ward, which they knew was currently housing Alice and Frank Longbottom, as well as the previously obliterated Gilderoy Lockhart. Harry glanced sullenly at Hermione and Ron beside him, who returned the look with the same thoughts he had.

They made their way to another ward, where they were finally re-directed to Ginny. As they entered the room, they found Ginny sitting up in the bed, with Molly sitting in the chair beside her. Both faces lit up upon the arrival of their visitors. As they all filed into the room one by one, Bill gently shut the door behind them.

George was the first to embrace Ginny, followed by Ron and Hermione. Bill and Fleur followed suit soon after, leaving Harry to embrace her for the longest time. Bill conjured up several more chairs, as they all sat down, weary, and exhausted.

"Ginny, how are you feeling?" Hermione was the first to speak.

Ginny shuffled in her bed, sitting up further, and drawing up the pale blue hospital-grade blanket over her chest. She was wearing a white hospital gown, which didn't look too comfortable. Her long red hair was messy and pulled to the side, spilling over a visibly injured shoulder. She looked incredibly worn out, and it hurt Harry to see her like this. Molly was holding her hand and didn't let go, as she comforted her as best she could.

"More alive now than I have been in the past few days, " Ginny's voice was hoarse, "Last I remember I was with Harry, and then something exploded, and I ended up wherever that place was."

Suddenly all eyes were on Harry, and he felt his stomach lurch, "I barely registered what happened. The Auror we were following? She was a Death Eater. They used Polyjuice Potion. We figured out that much."

"Well…That answers that question. I woke up with a ghastly headache, and she was nowhere to be been, " Ginny responded, as she pulled up her knees to her chest, further pulling her blanket upwards. Molly waved her wand and performed a non-verbal Heating Charm over her daughter's blanket, providing her with much-needed warmth. Ginny looked up at her mother and smiled weakly, "Thanks, mum."

"Were there more people – " George began, looking a little heartbroken at the state of his sister.

Ginny turned to George, shaking her head, " - As in other people who were kidnapped from Godric's Hollow? Yeah. A few of them were Muggles. I suspect they'll be obliviated once they recover."

"Why the hell did they take you?" Ron asked.

"Bait for Harry, most likely. They needed something to lure him in, and well, I was convenient for them at the time," Ginny glanced at Harry, looking apologetically.

Harry bit his lip, "What did they – "

"– do?" Ginny sighed, "The Death Eaters at first used the Cruciatus Curse on each one of us. Some of them got bored and preferred to get a little more…Violent. Mainly just roughing us up, though. I ended up with a few bruised ribs and cuts all over me. The Healers are keeping me here to monitor the effects of the Cruciatus, and the Dementor attack," Ginny pointed to the horrific bruise on her face, "Some plonker decided to slap the kid I was looking after, across the face, because he wouldn't stop crying. So, I spat in his."

"GINNY!" A few of the Weasley exclaimed in unison.

Ginny shrugged, "Serves him right. They didn't do much else. Once they got fed up, the Dementors did their rounds to keep us at bay." She turned back at Harry, "I tried to use the DA coin, but the strange cage they kept me in must have rendered it absolutely useless."

Harry shook his head, "It's alright. We thought about it too, but we tracked with your wand instead. We were going to go straight in there, but Snape suggested we re-group with the DA."

Ginny nodded, "Good, I'm glad he did. You wouldn't have made it far in there, otherwise. From what I saw, it was a bloody good plan."

Ron interjected, "Yeah, Snape rounded us up for a DA meeting at the Room of Requirement. Never thought I'd ever see the day. Actually, it went rather well, considering the great big bat lead us in there with a decent plan." Hermione shot him a look of warning at his choice of words.

"Well, it was a hell of a plan, but it worked, " Bill crossed his arms over his chest, "Everyone did extremely well."

"I'm just thankful you are all back in one piece," Molly said, "I just about lost it when I caught George sneaking out of the house near midnight with his broomstick in one hand, and a box of fireworks in the other. The nerve!"

There was a slight chuckle amongst the visitors, even from George who, despite being caught red-handed, looked mighty pleased with himself. However, it did work in their favor. The group spent the following hour telling them all about the battle, including Ron's interesting recount of his pursuit on his broomstick in strange detail. Hermione and George excitedly told them about the fireworks they had planted as a distraction, and Bill's full-body wrestle with a disarmed Death Eater. Eventually, as the light of the morning began to shine through the window, Bill and Fleur said their goodbyes and departed back to Shell Cottage. Molly stayed with Ginny and told Harry that they will update them on when she was able to leave.

Before they left, Ginny told Harry about Elias, and that he was located a few rooms away. Hermione and Ron left for Grimmauld Place and Harry went off to find the room the little boy was in, whilst George wanted to return to the Burrow to await his father and Percy. Still sleep-deprived and exhausted, Harry shuffled his way down the corridor and passed several Healers along the way, until he reached Elias' room. Once he entered, a young brunette Healer was inside running a diagnostic on the little boy, who was awake and watching the Healer, mesmerized by what she was doing. Bandages wrapped around his small limbs, from where he suffered the burns. Sitting beside the boy, was a youthful woman adorned in peach-colored robes with petite lace embellishing on her sleeves and collar. She appeared to have the same ash blonde hair as the little boy, as pale features and rosy cheeks were matched evenly between them both.

Harry stopped by the door, conflicted about the prospect of disturbing them. But it was too late. Both the Healer and Elias looked over at Harry, with the little boy displaying the most heart-warming toothy grin he had ever seen.

"Harry!" The little boy called out, almost startling the Healer beside him. His face lit up, unexpectedly melting Harry's heart.

The Healer had finished her task, and turned to the woman beside him, "I've detected nothing out of the ordinary, so for now he remains stable. But we will continue to monitor him throughout the day for further dizziness, of course. I'll be back with his Essence of Dittany due in about twenty minutes."

The woman beside the boy nodded, "Thank you." Her voice was soft, delicate, and oddly soothing.

The Healer walked past Harry as she exited the room, but Harry remained unmoving, feeling as if he was intruding.

The young woman smiled, as she beckoned for Harry to enter the room, "When Elias told me he was saved by Harry, I never dreamed it was Harry Potter, the Chosen One!" The woman stood up, and immediately enveloped Harry in a hug, taking him by complete surprise. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! When I was alerted that he went missing, my heart sank."

Pulling back from the unexpected hug, Harry's cheeks flushed, completely taken aback by the kind gesture, "Are you his mother?"

She shook her head sadly, "No. That was my beautiful baby sister, Serena. It was her you found in the house. My name is Desiree Bellevue."

"I'm…so sorry for your loss," Harry bowed his head respectfully as the woman, as he sat down on the edge of the bed, leaning over the boy who was determined to hug Harry tightly enough to render him breathless. "We did what we could – "

Desiree raised her palm gently at Harry to respectfully stop him from speaking no further, "- There was nothing anyone could do. You saved my nephew. And again tonight. We are both forever blessed by what you did."

"It wasn't just me – I had help. But I'm glad he has family. I wasn't even sure if he came from a magical family."

Her steel-blue eyes were soft and reassuring, "Well, his Muggle father left before he was born. No ill-will. He simply couldn't grasp the magical world and Serena accepted his decision without conflict. Elias now, will be staying with me and my partner," She glanced lovingly at Elias, who rested his head against Harry's arm, "Elias adores you. He was always a shy boy. Mischievous, but shy."

Harry smiled, "Maybe I'll see him at Hogwarts when he's older?"

Desiree beamed, "Oh! That would be absolutely wonderful. This soon-to-be Hufflepuff will love to see you there, won't you, Elias?"

The little boy sat up straight and nodded wildly, beaming up at Harry.

"He's a wonderful kid. Such a little treasure and gentle soul, like his mother," Desiree looked back at Harry and smiled sadly, at the loss of her sister.

"I'm sorry for the short visit, but...I have to go now, " Harry stood up from the bed, and gave one last hug to the little boy, "You're incredibly brave. Get well soon, Elias."

Desiree turned to Harry and placed her hands on his shoulders, "I am ever so grateful for this chat, Harry Potter. Thank you for stopping by. We truly hope to see you again sometime."

With a final shared smile between Elias and Desiree, Harry turned to finally make his way home back to Grimmauld Place. He wasn't expecting that encounter, but it left Harry with such an incredible warmth within his chest that he could barely describe that feeling in words. It was an immense relief. Joy, at a little life, saved and to be reunited with such a sweet family. Harry knew what it was like to lose a mother, but he never knew his, like Elias knew his own. The boy was young, and now there was no forgetting the traumatic experience he just went through in the last few days. But he kept in good spirits, and that in itself was a small blessing. He truly hoped to see the boy again.

Well, looks like he can't refuse that Hogwarts post by McGonagall after all.

As soon as he arrived back at Grimmauld Place, Harry went straight to his room and crashed on his bed, absolutely overcome by exhaustion. And for the first time in a long while, he fell straight to sleep. He wasn't rocked with nightmares this time, but he did end up having a string of very strange dreams. One dream had him performing aerial flips on his Firebolt to a Quidditch pitch filled with house elves, and another had him being chased by one of George's fancy rockets through the city of London.

Eventually, Harry awoke to sunbeams illuminating his face from the curtain on the window he forgot to close. He glanced at the clock, which ticked just over midday. Harry himself was shocked he even slept this long, uninterrupted. Rolling out of bed, he left the room to take a shower and get himself cleaned up, giving him the opportunity to finally see the new collection of bruises forming around his hips and legs from his tumble off his Firebolt. Thankfully, nothing too horrendous. Once he left the bathroom sporting a fresh pair of clothes – disregarding his very limited choices – and made his way downstairs. He stopped by Snape's room, and peered inside quickly, but frowned when he discovered the man didn't return. Trying not to worry about that so much, he entered the kitchen to find Hermione and Ron at the kitchen table eating lunch. Ron was busy tucking into fresh sandwiches and hot tomato soup, while Hermione sat with her nose in a book. Nothing unusual.

Harry walked in and sat down beside Hermione, across from Ron, and began to help himself to food to appease his painfully grumbling stomach.

"I can't believe you slept longer than I did," Ron was the first to speak, "That's got to be a record for you."

Harry chuckled, "I'm honestly just as surprised." He bit in into a tasty swiss cheese and turkey sandwich, feeling rather content.

Hermione turned to Harry, "I'm going back to Hogwarts today to try and sort out these potions for Snape. I need to start brewing these in two days and we still need the Acromantula ashes, and pay Hagrid a visit for the remaining items."

Harry nodded, "I'll help you with the Acromantula. Besides, I should probably see Hagrid myself."

"He'll be happy to see you, Harry. He was quite sad the last we were there because there were no students around. He's been kind of…lonely."

"We can always ask him to come with us to get the Acromantula," Ron suggested, "…That way he can go instead of me."

"Oh, Ronald."

"Do we need anything else for those potions?" Harry asked, "Sooner we start, the better. Snape kind of interrogated me last night…"

Hermione's eyes widened, "What?"

"He definitely knew I was hiding something. I, well…" Harry shrugged awkwardly, "Kept avoiding his gaze because I was nervous, and he was getting irked by that. So, I told him we had an idea of how to cure him, just so he didn't expect anything too ridiculous. I didn't give him the details."

"Harry!" Hermione's voice made Harry jump in his seat.

"What? You know I'm terrible with the Occlumency thing," Harry took a sip of his coffee, "Snape knows that, too."

"Well, you should have been taking his lessons seriously. Honestly!"

"I never thought I'd actually have to use it against him! Besides, those lessons were doomed from the start."

"Blimey, Harry," Ron tried his best to suppress a chuckle, just as he reached for his pumpkin juice, "Of all people to try and hide something from, it had to be bloody Snape."

"Look, he doesn't know what we are doing yet, so for now, we keep going," Harry reassured, "Right now, he seems to be a little more trusting towards me and I really don't want to screw that up. Especially after being at each other's throats for seven years."

"Yeah, and you still have to figure out a way to tell him. Doesn't he have to stop taking potions for two days, or something?" Ron asked.

Hermione nodded, "Any magical interaction can completely throw the entire thing off. He won't even be able to use a simple bruise salve. The ingredients are extremely sensitive. For the potion to work efficiently, he needs to undergo a complete cleanse. Kind of horrible, especially for Snape's sake."

Suddenly, Harry wasn't so hungry anymore, "Yeah, I was thinking that. I might try hunting for some non-magical books for any way to help him without resorting to magic. At least for those fasting days because they are crucial."

That's a great idea, Harry," Hermione nodded, as she gently closed her book, "Actually, I might see what I have at home. If not, I can easily use the internet and do a little research there. Perhaps my parents may have some medical textbooks hidden somewhere."

Ron looked confused, "Internet? What the bloody hell is an internet?"

Harry and Hermione shared a laugh.

"Kind of like a…Library, without books," Harry attempted a simple answer, but the confusion further deepened on Ron's face, "Just…never mind, Ron. Far too complicated to explain." Ron's expression was further met by Hermione and Harry who continued to giggle.

Once they concluded lunch together, they made their way toward Hogwarts to pay Hagrid a visit and obtain some of the black-listed ingredients that only he knew how to find. Hagrid was more than happy to help them out, making their job of rounding these ingredients far easier. Some of these ingredients were rare and delicate, and in a society still broken and reeling from the aftermath of the war, those ingredients were difficult to procure. That left Neville in doing his best to gather the remaining herbs and flora required, some of which were difficult to gather as a few required to be picked under certain environmental conditions. Luckily, Neville was well-versed in Herbology more than any of them were, and they were relieved. But as Hermione had mentioned previously, it was the brewing process that was the most difficult. To gather the ingredients required was one thing but making sure there were no errors in the delicate brewing process was another. Even to the point that certain herbs had to be ground up at a certain thickness, and some of the liquids required a certain cleansing process in order to use. It was enough to make Harry's head spin.

And likely even Snape if he discovered this.

Once they arrived at Hagrid's familiar cabin, Harry knocked on the large wooden door. Instantly, he was greeted by the half-giant who hugged him so strongly, that he lifted the teenager up off the ground in delight. It seems Harry was subjected to many rib-crushing hugs recently, elevating such a blissful feeling he thought was long buried. Immediately, Hagrid beckoned for them to join him inside, where a crackling fire instantly warmed Harry to his core. The Hogwarts gamekeeper got busy and began brewing them a pot of tea, while his dog Fang took a nap by the fire.

"I've been wonderin' when ye were going to see me, 'arry," Hagrid spoke, setting the lopsided and slightly chipped mugs on the table in front of the trio.

"I know, it's just been rather…hectic. Hermione and Ron probably gave you the simplified version," Harry responded, watching Hagrid pour tea into their mugs.

"So, I 'eard. And Ginny – "

"- She's recovering at St. Mungo's at the moment."

Hagrid looked incredibly relieved, "Oh, that's wonderful news! Professor McGonagall raced up to my cabin when she heard abou' the incident at the Quarry. She thought I must've known about it. She was rather, well…unpleasant, when I told her I didn't have a clue."

"She knows?" Ron asked.

"O' course she does. Once the Minister informed her about it, she was livid. I suggest you watch ye back, Harry," Hagrid sat down on the oversized single sofa in the corner by the fire," She also mentioned a memorial. It ain't set in stone yet, but it's coming up to the, ah, well…One-month anniversary since ye know…"

"Yeah, she did mention that," Hermione responded, "She was conflicted by the idea with the Minister because it doesn't seem safe enough to gather all of those students and teachers, and everyone else who fought that day. Especially now when Death Eaters are taking every opportunity to ignite fear again. People are still going missing."

"All I know is that Professor McGonagall really didn't want to delay that any longer. It didn't feel righ' to," Hagrid took a large sip from his own mug and set it down on the table a little too forcefully, causing some tea to spill down the sides, "Besides, it'll be within Hogwarts and protected by 'eavy wards. They ain't taking no chances this time. She's making damn well sure of that. "

"Well since the recent attack, I think they may be laying low for a while. So, now's a good time as any to do it," Harry suggested, cupping the steaming mug of tea in his hands, "Hagrid, were you able to get the ingredients we need?"

"Ah," Hagrid rose up from the chair and retrieved a small tattered brown cloth bag from the tiny kitchen counter. Placing it on the table in front of the trio, he began to retrieve the items, "I sure did. I had to play a little poker to haggle for the fresh Occamy egg, but otherwise, piece o' cake." Hagrid handed Harry the large egg, and the shell glistened in pure silver, almost allowing Harry to see his dull distorted reflection upon its glossy surface. He knew that this egg would need to be melted down, which will be required for the final, more intense potion that will be needed.

"This is wonderful, Hagrid, "Harry turned the warm egg in his hands, before returning it to the bag. Hagrid had placed a clear container filled with large pearl and peach-colored dragon scales, along with another container containing multiple pieces of long silver-white Abraxon tail hair.

Hermione was incredibly pleased, "Fantastic! This is such a huge help." She turned to Harry, "Once we get the Acromantula ashes, then I'll have to start melting the Occamy egg down because it needs to be weighed, separated, and cooled completely in two days."

"Did you mention Acromantula ashes?" Hagrid asked, "I can help you with that. That'll be the easiest because some of the dead were taken back to the Forest. It probably won't take us long to find a dead one somewhere. The larger ones take months to fully decompose."

Ron looked repulsed, "Good, I'm staying."

"Relax, they're dead, Ron," Harry smirked.

"So will we, if we find live ones with them!"

Hermione rolled her eyes, and Hagrid chuckled, completely lost in the moment. Harry was amused but relieved that they almost had what they needed to start the potions. They just needed Neville to return with his haul and then they could begin.

The trio and Hagrid, along with Fang, made their way into the Forbidden Forest on the hunt for deceased Acromantulas which were apparently littered around the darkest parts of the forest. For once, they were able to hunt for it during the comforting light of the day, which brought them all a measure of relief. With Fang's help, they were able to locate one with surprising ease, despite Ron's unease. As Hermione retrieved an empty glass jar within her plum-colored beaded bag, Harry set the deceased creature alight and transferred the fresh ashes into the jar. Content with their find, they made their way back to Hagrid's cabin to retrieve the ingredients and bid him farewell as they journeyed back into Hogwarts.

Hermione led them to a small, empty classroom on the sixth floor, overlooking the North Tower courtyards, away from Ravenclaw Tower. After the possibility of Snape accessing his own Potion laboratories again once the stationed Aurors were sent away, Hermione had to find an alternative room to work in. In her search, she found a small empty classroom that she used to conceal with simple disillusionment charms to deter anyone from discovering the potions set-up she had going. It was a brilliant idea because it will be able to prevent Snape or McGonagall from discovering it accidentally. Plus, they could work there without being discovered themselves. The room itself, as Hermione discovered, was a spare classroom so the chances of anyone else utilizing it were slim.

There was a multitude of cauldrons on the large table Hermione had transfigured, along with various tools that they needed to prepare such delicate ingredients. Already, there were ingredients sectioned off and ready to use, along with empty vials to seal the potions once ready. It was really quite a sight, and now was the point of no return. They were going to do this because there really was no other alternative than letting a man be consumed by death in such a cruel and horrific way. Even if it was Snape, the ex-Death Eater. It was still Snape, loyal Order of the Phoenix member, and the main instrument resulting in the downfall of Voldemort once more. There was no way Harry was going to allow him to succumb to that. He tried to save Sirius from his fate and that failed. Now was his chance to try again.

Perhaps there was a sense of selfishness within his request, but Harry wholeheartedly believed that a second chance for this man would be one where he could live a life he was previously deprived of. Perhaps a life where he wasn't so hated or despised, or constantly walking a tightrope to his demise. Even he deserved a second chance like Harry did when he made that choice to return.

The trio began preparing some of the ingredients. Hermione was in charge of melting down and measuring the silver Occamy egg – Harry and Ron did not want to tamper with that one at all for fear of messing it up, so they left that tedious task with her. Harry began weighing up the required amount of dragon scales and set aside one amount to be added whole, and the remainder needs to be finely ground up. Ron was tasked with cutting and grinding some of the dried herbs and splitting them into threes for the protective potions. It was a lengthy process, but at least they were prepared for the hour in which it needed to start brewing. Both the first protective potion and the final potion had to commence at the same time. The final extraction potion was a continuous three-month process, whilst the protective potions had to be brewed every fourteen days, ending on the full moon.

And yet still, Harry had absolutely no idea how to break this to Snape. He obviously didn't want to get their hopes up, but Hermione felt extremely confident about this, and Harry trusted her word for it. At least telling Snape of a possibility of a cure, could inspire some sort of hope within the man he so desperately needed to hear. He needed that drive; that chance of living a better life. That must be enough for him to keep going. It just had to be.

Once the trio had prepared what ingredients they could, Harry decided to leave Hermione and Ron behind and make his way out of the castle. But as soon as he reached the main courtyard, he heard someone behind him call out his name.

It was the Headmistress. Uh, oh.

Wincing in anticipation of a heated discussion, Harry did not dare ignore the elderly witch. He turned on his heel to find her walking briskly towards him, adorned in her black and grey robes, and picking up the hem as she went. Her greyed hair was mostly up in a loose bun, aside from a few wavy stubborn locks which flew in the breeze as she walked.

"HARRY POTTER!"

Waiting until she reached him, Harry clenched his jaw, "Hi, Professor."

"We need to talk. Urgently, if you please," The woman's expression was stern. Her wrinkled face expressed the deepest frown he has ever seen etched upon her.

Sticking his hands in his pockets, he nodded, "Uh, sure." They began to walk slowly together within the courtyard, oddly devoured of any other soul. It was strange not to see students around. Last he stood here; Harry pretended to be dead in Hagrid's arms during the most terrifying death procession led by Voldemort.

"Don't give me that Potter, I know you know what I'm referring to," McGonagall sensed Harry's attempt at ignorance, "What happened last night? Going in there was reckless. And when I see Severus, he's getting an earful from me. Kingsley informed me early this morning."

Harry appeared grim, "We couldn't wait, Professor. Snape helped us to plan it."

"So, it was his idea?"

"Actually, I asked him to help us find Ginny. And we did. I was willing to go in there, but he insisted we wait and plan. It's not his fault."

She shook her head, "I wasn't blaming him. My displeasure with this is the fact that no one bothered to inform me about it. Or the Minister! When I find out that many of my students, led by Harry Potter and my ex-colleague, stroll right into danger, of course, I'd be livid. If any, I could have assisted or sent for reinforcements…"

"We didn't want to take you away from the school, Professor," Harry explained, "Besides, we ended up with extra help. Molly and – "

" - Yes, yes, I am aware," McGonagall stopped to turn to Harry, clasping her hands neatly in front of her, "Why are you here, Mr. Potter? You're meant to be safe at Grimmauld Place. Don't think I am not aware of your friends frequently visiting Hogwarts. I am not the only one present here, you know. Horace told me he saw Granger heading down to the dungeons the other day. I know Severus is not here in the castle. Something is amiss."

Harry hesitated, as he shook his head, "It's nothing."

She raised her eyebrow, "I highly doubt that. It's never nothing with you, Mr. Potter. Years of teaching you have warned me of that. If it's something I can help with – "

" - It's Snape." Well, there it is.

McGonagall was taken aback, as she frowned, "What about him, Potter?"

Harry drew in a deep breath, looking defeated, "…H-He's dying."

The color from McGonagall's face drained away, as she was lost for words. Her blue eyes widened in shock, "What? How?"

"The snake…Nagini. She was cursed when she attacked him, and he almost died at Voldemort's hand. Draco was able to bring him back from near-death that night, but the curse is still there, Professor. It stopped his wounds from healing, and it's getting worse. It's almost the same one Dumbledore suffered from, before he...You know…"

She looked away as she placed a shaky hand on her chest, overwhelmed with this new information. Eventually, he looked back at the young Gryffindor, entirely devastated, "Potter…I-I had no idea. I knew he looked terrible, but I never thought…Oh dear. I cannot – "

"- I know. We've been kind of looking after him at Grimmauld Place because he has nowhere else safe enough to be."

Her heart skipped a beat, as she responded with a shaky breath, "…Who else knows?"

"Besides Ron, Ginny, and Hermione, only Neville and Luna. No one else knows. Not even Kingsley."

Harry watched as the elderly woman wandered to the nearby stone bench and sat down, staring off into space. Gingerly, Harry followed her and sat down beside her. They sat in silence for a few moments, allowing McGonagall to come to terms with what she was just told.

"I did not anticipate this to happen. Poor Severus…" She hesitated, "I've known him for years, Potter. I taught him."

"Please, don't tell him you know. He specifically didn't want anyone else to know. He'll probably try and strangle me if he found out I told you."

She looked at Harry, and nodded in understanding, "Yes, very much like Severus to request such a thing."

"The reason we've been here at Hogwarts is because we may have a way of removing the curse. Hermione is confident it will work, but it's tedious and will take time."

"Oh, please do not dabble in Dark Magic, Harry. You've been through enough of that, haven't you?"

Harry shook his head, "It's not like that, Professor. It's complicated, but it's not necessarily Dark Magic. We don't know how much time he has left and we're managing, but…If we don't at least try this, then there will be no more hope left for him. We can't take him to St. Mungo's because he is still technically a wanted man. Hunted by both Aurors and Death Eaters. If an Auror catches him, it won't end well. He'll be facing either Azkaban or death."

The elderly witch drew in a deep breath, "I understand the predicament." McGonagall managed to muster up a small smile, "Albus would have been proud of your efforts, Potter. Of both of you. Setting aside your differences, now…I realise you have both been on opposite sides for years, personally. But I am deeply relieved that you have found a sense of common ground. Trust, that you both should have had."

Harry nodded sadly, "Yeah. I just wished we realised that sooner. I mean, we are not friends. But…we have a mutual understanding. And for us, that's a big thing. I think we both realised that we can't keep hating each other. It just seems so pointless to do that now, after everything."

"After what everyone has experienced recently, I most certainly agree, Mr. Potter. Hate consumes too much of you," McGonagall responded in agreement, "In the end, we must focus on going forward, no matter how painful the past may be. If ever you should require anything - "

"- I know. We almost have what we need, but we'll let you know how it goes."

She nodded, sadly, "Thank you for letting me know…About him."

"Well, I wanted you to know eventually. So, if anything happens, you know why…And maybe give you a chance to fix things properly with him. I know you still feel guilty for attacking him that night."

"…That's exceedingly kind of you to say. I shall take that into consideration," She smiled, as she rose from her seat, "I must leave you now Mr. Potter. Do update me or send a message if you so require immediate assistance. "

"Yeah, I will. Thanks, Professor."

Patting Harry on the back as she turned to leave, he watched as McGonagall hastily make her way back inside the castle, leaving Harry sitting alone in the courtyard. As soon as the Headmistress disappeared from view, Harry buried his head in his hands, leaning his elbows on his knees.

The reality of it all seemed to hit him all at once. It was too much for Harry to deal with, and he knew he made the right choice to let McGonagall know about Snape. What else was Harry to do? Someone else, most important of all McGonagall, needed to know. In fact, she is now currently the only person alive who knew Snape for the longest time. The fact that this man was on the brink of death, would have shocked the elderly woman to her core. Knowing they still had so much history together, saddened Harry. Snape had no family. Harry would have never known what their friendship was, aside from what he noticed in the Great Hall, the classrooms, and even Quidditch games. There was a measure of trust there, even despite the friendly house rivalry they often shared, more than even Harry could sense. That was obvious. In fact, if Harry could guess, aside from Dumbledore, she was the only one that Snape seemed to trust the most.

It hurt Harry to think that McGonagall knew nothing about his true allegiance after all this time and it likely hurt Snape more to know that he had to keep it a secret, even from her. Harry should have known, too. Dumbledore gave Harry every reason to keep trusting the man, and yet he let his animosity and years-long grudge blindside him to what was so obviously placed right in front of him. The feud turned them into horrible versions of themselves. Even when he saw McGonagall, Flitwick, and Sprout drive him from the castle that day, he should have known he did not want to attack them. The wounded expression on his face was clear as day, and yet Harry was determined to persecute the man, just like everyone else did.

It was all just a little too much. Had he died that night along with his memories, no one would ever have known the truth. That fact rocked Harry to his core. A man neck-deep in a suicidal mission would have died without honor. His true courage and bravery would have never been known. Despite his past fatal mistakes, he did everything he could to rectify that. He risked his own life for a cause he opposed as a child. He was willing to change in honor of a loved one now passed because of him. And yet after all this time, he risked everything and gained nothing.

Or so he thinks.

Harry was willing to give him a fighting chance. When Snape thought he gained nothing, he never completely realised he gained a second chance. To make amends. To settle past misdeeds. To leave behind a version of himself that he clearly wanted to stay buried. To finally realise that he now has someone on his side that is willing to fight for him, when no one else would. Dumbledore may have given Snape a chance to prove himself those many years ago, but now Harry felt he needed to continue his work on his behalf. Snape just needed a nudge in the right direction to give him a purpose.

Harry was always a determined soul, dedicated to saving a life no matter who it was. If he was willing to give Voldemort a chance of remorse, then Snape had every right to live.

James had no regard for his well-being, and Lily eventually gave up on him. Harry has long since accepted that with mild bitterness, and yet he did understand why. But neither of them was alive to see Snape now, and what he risked, despite his fatal choice to tell Voldemort the prophecy. The threat upon Lily's life was Snape's wake-up call. He defected against Voldemort even before the death of his parents. He tried to keep them safe, even if that meant approaching the enemy of his master in desperation. But in the end, it was Peter Pettigrew who betrayed his family. A close friend. It was he who broke the Fidelius Charm and told Voldemort where they were hiding.

Snape tried to fix it but failed. Harry recognised that. He recognised how deeply embedded his pain was, even now after all this time. He was never able to fully come to terms with it. It was almost as if he was never able to properly grieve, before being thrust into the dangerous life of a triple agent. A life-long debt that would forever consume the man that everyone despised.

Harry couldn't change the past. Neither could he. But all they can do now is finally mourn over the lives lost now that Voldemort is truly gone.

Now, they both must learn to finally grieve and let go.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3833