Whatever It Takes by SanctuaryAngel
Summary: Taking place directly after the Battle of Hogwarts, Harry is trying to deal with his trauma from the course of the events of the war and struggles to confront it, along with trying to manage his grief. Snape survived but disappeared in shame and remorse after the battle. Harry finds him, and they both discover that they have more in common now more than ever - Both are struggling with their sense of self and purpose. But stray Death Eaters from the battle are re-grouping for a final stand to take out the great Harry Potter, and their traitor, and Harry and Snape must put aside their differences to end the fight once and for all, whilst dealing with Snapes' illness along the way. Explores darker themes of grief, self-blame, PTSD, depression, and suicidal ideation.
Categories: Misc > No category on the site fits Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Arthur, Draco, Fred George, Ginny, Hermione, Luna, McGonagall, Molly, Narcissa, Neville, Ron
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Depressed, Snape is Desperate, Snape is Stern
Genres: Action/Adventure, Angst, Drama, General, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Depression Recovery, Injured!Snape
Takes Place: 8 - Post Hogwarts (young adult Harry)
Warnings: Character Death, Eating Disorder, Panic attack, Self-harm, Suicide Themes, Torture, Violence
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 65 Completed: Yes Word count: 443363 Read: 40080 Published: 01 Feb 2023 Updated: 02 Sep 2023
CH 31: Stepping Stones by SanctuaryAngel
Author's Notes:
Just a heads up – This chapter overlaps and taking place simultaneously with the previous Chapter.
14 Days until the Full Moon

After revealing Snape's prognosis to Professor McGonagall yesterday, Harry did feel a slight weight lift off his shoulders. It didn't feel right to withhold such information from her and despite knowing how angry Snape would feel about this, it was still the right decision. It really wasn't fair on Harry to keep this secret amongst his friends, because in all honesty, he was panicking. The thought of taking care of a dying man was a frightening thought for the teenager and he knew he should not take this burden upon as his own. He knew full well that he was not obliged to do so and yet he felt responsible.

It wasn't fair to place Harry in this position and crush him with such a responsibility, but there really was no safe alternative. At times Harry's anxiety would creep up within his chest, causing his heart to beat painfully faster. What if they messed this potion up? What if it kills him quicker? Harry would never forgive himself for causing the man further pain, when all he wanted, was to take it all away. It caused him to feel guilty for wishing death upon the man because even his greatest enemy did not deserve the crippling agony of a curse tearing you from within ever so slowly.

Today was the day when they would need to start the potions for the Transference spell or the Anathema Excerptum, as it was so-called. Harry was anxious. There were many elements to this spell, and the potions themselves were extremely time-sensitive and delicate in their ancient process. It was an old spell – consisting of potions and a series of invocations designed to effectively tear the curse from the host, which filled up roughly ten pages within the old tome Hermione found, dating back to 1501. The spell itself was nauseating, from what Hermione had explained to him. She held onto the book ever so tightly, that even Harry was unable to read each page. His only thought was that perhaps he could not comprehend its complexity, so decided not to question her about it and trusted her wholeheartedly. Which was not necessarily unusual.

Harry eventually informed Ron and Hermione that McGonagall knows about Snape's prognosis, which did give the others a sense of relief. Himself, included. There were some people just not worth tiptoeing around.

The trio made their way back to the unused classroom at Hogwarts once dusk settled, along with the remaining herb supply that Neville kindly delivered for them. They were required to begin the potions on the first night, which will conclude within the same hour, fourteen days from commencement. Once they arrived, they found Neville and Luna preparing some of the herbs in advance, leaving Hermione absolutely appreciative of the extra helping hands. By candlelight, Neville was gently cutting up some of the freshly picked squill bulbs, whilst Luna was happily grinding up fresh unicorn horns at their makeshift potions bench. The white glow of the moonlight spilled into the classroom, casting a peculiar eeriness, which to Harry, was rather fitting for what they were about to do.

"We figured we'd give you a bit of a head start with the preparation. I hope you don't mind," Neville greeted the trio, still rather focused on his preparation, "The squills had to be prepared soon after harvesting, so it made more sense to prepare them here, right away."

Hermione began by double-checking the ingredients list for both potions; something she did at every opportunity and Harry was surprised she didn't yet have it all memorised. "Not at all Neville. Honestly, this is fantastic. These potions are a bit of a nightmare and we're grateful for the extra help."

"Do we have everything we need?" Harry asked, glancing at the now melted down and cooled Occamy shells on the table beside the empty cauldron.

Hermione nodded, still checking her list within the tome a named Shadow-Phases of Alchemy: Blight Manipulation, Concealment, and Extraction, Volume Five which she was able to obtain within the dark depths of the Restricted Section, "It appears so. Ron, are you able to fill up that silver bowl from the water pitcher over there, right to the brim, and place it on the window ledge?"

Without questioning, Ron did exactly as she asked, "…So, what if this doesn't work?" The Weasley carefully carried the now-filled ornate silver bowl over to the window's ledge, allowing the bowl to bask in the direct moonlight overhead.

Hermione looked at him quizzically, "I am confident it will. I spent hours cross-referencing this spell with other texts in vast detail, and it has been performed before. Plus, Neville has also helped me identify some of the rarer herbs listed. Of course, it's not an easy spell, hence why not many have bothered with it, according to historical records of previous casters. It's an incredibly old incantation, Ron."

"Yeah, but what if it doesn't?"

The room fell silent, as everyone stopped what they were doing to look at Ron. Harry felt a little uncomfortable with the thought, and he did have a point. Nothing they did here was guaranteed, but he had to at least remain optimistic about it.

Harry clenched his jaw, "…Then Snape runs out of time," He turned to the small cauldron and began to measure out the required volume of freshwater that they previously obtained from the Great Lake. "Look, we won't know until we try. There have been incidences where it has been successful, and that's enough for us to attempt this, don't you think?"

Ron shrugged, "Yeah, I suppose. It's just…complicated/i>."

Hermione began on the second cauldron, preparing the freshwater base for the final potion, which was a three-month straight brew, "Well, it's not a swish-and-flick kind of spell, Ron. This one is highly specific, requiring four potions in total, and a series of incantations required to elevate its spell power. It's not like we are curing the common cold."

Igniting the burner of his cauldron, Harry waited for the water to begin simmering before adding five drops of dragon's blood, watching as the liquid automatically turn scarlet, "At least this is not a Dark ritual. No sacrifices are required. Actually, it's quite the opposite. "

"So…why the moon, and not say…The sun?" Ron noticed Hermione's disapproving glare and shrugged, "What? It's a valid question."

"The moon itself has rather a gentle effect," Luna interjected softly, "The full moon happens once a month when the sun's ray illuminates its surface. When it is shining its brightest and fullest, we're receiving maximum light and vitality. It provides us with grounding and purifying energies."

"Well, burning him in the direct sunlight is hardly the intention," Neville grinned in Ron's direction. "…But yeah, what Luna said."

Luna collected emptied the freshly ground unicorn horn into a small porcelain bowl, and placed it beside Harry's cauldron, "This spell provides protection to the body of the host, while it works on detaching the curse gradually, as safely as possible. The moon's magical force provides an element of healing, that the sun cannot give. Sometimes when I'm home, I take my pillow with me and sleep outside. Gives me the most peculiar dreams…"

Ron's raised an eyebrow at Luna's last comment, before proceeding to respond to her clarification, "That's…sort of comforting. I mean, we are not performing an exorcism," The Weasley sat down on the nearest chair, leaning back with his arms crossed over his chest.

Hermione paused in thought, "Well, the logistics are…admittedly, almost identical. The curse itself is something that needs to be extracted under specific conditions and a magical inscription to accompany that. This method is just…a less of a graphical depiction."

"Lovely," Harry grimaced. The thought of this incantation resembling an exorcism, caused his stomach to hurl. That wasn't the image Harry needed within his mind, but considering all factors, that is almost exactly what they are trying to do. However, instead of removing the curse entirely, they needed to find a vessel for it. This curse, this…dark entity needed to be removed in order for Snape to recover. Once the curse was extracted, then they can focus on simply treating the poison and managing any long-lasting, or even permanent, effects. However, that was a problem for another day.

One step at a time.

"It'll be alright," Luna mused, turning her big blue eyes towards Harry, sensing his worry, "But Harry, you need to make sure that Snape is confident with this, too. For a moon ritual like this one and for this spell to work, it requires strong intention. Like a wish. He needs to, well…Want to get better. A ritual like this will not work with negative energies. The moon is all about positive manifestation. Quite simple, really."

"Yeah, real simple," Harry drew in a deep breath. He definitely had his work cut out for him. However, he has had this conversation with Snape several times before, and each time he was slowly convincing the man that death was not the answer to his problems. Ironically enough for the Boy Who Lived. But for Snape, it had a different meaning.

The group continued working on the potions for a few hours that night until Neville and Luna departed for home. It was close to midnight when Hermione suggests that they return home themselves. Each potion required roughly about thirty ingredients for each, and they barely made a dent within the instructions. Harry was still stirring his own potion, and after adding in a few more ingredients, turned bright acidic yellow. Hermione's brewing of the final potion had turned a dark plum color and emitted a smell of rotten eggs – which was normal, according to the text – leaving Ron dashing out of the classroom dry-retching. Once they could brew no further that night, Hermione charmed both cauldrons to self-stir, once the burners were ignited to minimal heat, as per the instructions. Satisfied, the three Gryffindors departed for Grimmauld Place.

The following day was a more quiet affair. Harry was dealing with another night of restless sleep, so Hermione suggested she leave early that morning to check up on the potions and begin the next few steps with Ron as her unwilling assistant. That left Harry alone by himself at Grimmauld Place attempting to sleep, but instead spending every waking hour thinking about all the things that could go horribly wrong with this spell. Well, except for Kreacher roaming the halls, mumbling to himself as he usually did. Hermione had already delivered several Muggle medical books to Harry, so he made it his mission to try and read through them that day.

Harry didn't feel comfortable leaving headquarters unattended. Snape had not returned for a few days and he wanted to make sure at least someone was present in case he decided to show up again. He wasn't concerned about it before, and he knew he'd be back, but given his deteriorating condition, he couldn't help but worry about it. Snape was an adult with other issues to attend to, and Harry had to try and convince himself that the world didn't always revolve around him. But given the man's illness and painted target on his back, it was still a worrying thought.

The Gryffindor decided to tackle the potions lab in the basement and make sure they had ample supplies. Their ingredient stocks were painfully dwindling, though a good portion of that was offered up for the curse transference spell that Hermione was currently working on at Hogwarts. Nevertheless, Harry tried to work with what he could. Dedicating several hours over the afternoon, he managed to brew another set of antidotes for Snape, and a few blood-replenishing potions to use up the remainder of the supplies. He had to be sure to make restocking a high priority. Even if that means heading into the Forbidden Forest himself to procure what they needed. He absolutely hated dealing with potion inventories and wondered how Snape managed that at Hogwarts without completely losing his marbles. Even worse when some of his ingredients were often stolen from him.

Oops.

After he had finished brewing, he collected all of the books he had in his possession and made himself comfortable in the sitting room. Molly Weasley had sent word via Arthur's Patronus that morning, to inform him that Ginny was doing well and was to be released from care at St. Mungo's later that day. With that piece of good news, Harry was sparked with newfound energy, and could barely concentrate on the texts in front of him.

Abandoning his poor study efforts, Harry departed Grimmauld Place and made his way to the Burrow, waiting in anticipation for Ginny to return. Many of the Weasleys were not present at the dwelling, but only George remained home during that time. Molly was still with Ginny, and both Arthur and Percy were at the Ministry.

The Burrow had always felt like home to Harry. He knew that whatever happened, he could trust it to be a safe space for him. Since the day he met the Weasleys on Harry's first journey to Hogwarts within his first year, he always felt like a part of the family. They were welcoming and delightful, and Molly was the closest person to a mother that Harry had ever known. It brought Harry a sense of comfort and solace knowing that he considered them a family – a real family. Every time he stepped foot in the Burrow again, it felt like coming home.

Harry walked into the kitchen and found George nursing a mug of hot chocolate, with marshmallows slowly melting on its surface. The Weasley had since removed the bandage that covered his previously severed ear – something that still disturbed Harry – and he clearly did his best to cover it up with his lengthened, yet unkempt, red hair. He had already informed him that it was Snape's unfortunate handiwork during the aerial battle in their attempt to sneak Harry away from Privet Drive that night. He felt it was necessary to tell him the truth once he saw Snape's memories. In the man's attempt to stop a Death Eater from harming both Remus and George, he fired off one of his curses, accidentally sacrificing George's ear in return. George was surprisingly accepting of that, which left Harry incredibly relieved. In fact, George found it mildly amusing in the context of things, and still reveled in the 'holey joke' he told Fred on the night it happened. Harry really couldn't afford another person against Snape during this time.

"…Mind the company?" Harry asked George, who received a lazy nod in return. He chose a seat across from the Weasley, and sat down, "Your dad told me about Ginny coming home today. Just thought I'd see how she was feeling before I go."

George gave Harry a weak smile, "Yeah, she is. Best news I've heard in a while. So, you guys official yet?"

Harry's cheeks flushed, as he gave an embarrassed shrug, "Official? Uh…maybe?"

George took a sip out of his mug, "Understandable, though. It's been a…difficult time, adjusting to the new normal. Whatever that is."

Harry nodded, drawing in a sharp breath, "Yeah, I get that. Are you and Angelina -?"

George raised a cheeky eyebrow, "- Maybe."

"Really? That's – really great!"

The Weasley shrugged, "We're not official either, but…She's been a great friend lately. After losing Fred…She's been wonderful to talk to. Right now, I'm enjoying our companionship. We're taking it super slow."

Harry nodded, "I'm glad. Really. She's patient and understanding. With everything going on, it's…what you need. Sorry, I can't offer any words of advice. "

"Yeah, I know. It's a bit, well…shite, isn't it? Just…everything. I still can't believe he's really gone. I still expect him to pull a reappearing prank on me, and return with that silly grin of his," George's smile faded, as he stared hopelessly into the depths of the mug he was nursing, "…It's like half of me is missing that I can never get back."

"He would have been proud of you, George. For not giving up," Harry tried his best to reassure the grieving Weasley, but he didn't know what he could say that would help.

George looked saddened, "Yeah. I had to put on a brave face. For my sister's sake too, along with the rest of my family. It's just…difficult. Sometimes I wake up and throw a pillow at his bed, thinking he's still there…sleeping. Then it leaves me feeling wretched all day."

Harry was well-versed in loss, but the thought of losing a twin…Devastated him deeply. He could not even begin to imagine the pain George must be feeling. Having to look into a mirror, echoing the reflection of an identical twin no longer alive. It shattered Harry's heart into a million pieces.

He himself was still grieving over everyone else who fought in the battle of Hogwarts and throughout the course of his life. Lately, he has been able to control the direction of his mind, by focusing on other things. Like rescuing Ginny and trying to help Snape. Those things at least kept his mind from wandering to darker places. But every so often, he would be reminded of the losses, sending his heart aching in deep sadness and emptiness. He longed for Sirius to be here. Even Remus. They would have taken complete control over the repaired Order, and Harry would be left feeling relieved upon the lifted responsibility. Given he'd have no idea how they would have reacted to Snape's true loyalties, that didn't matter. They both would have been alive, and to Harry, that would have been enough.

Harry and George sat in silence for a few moments, but eventually, the Weasley quietly excused himself from the table and made his way upstairs. Folding his arms across the table, Harry rested his head on his arms, waiting patiently for Ginny to return. He knew he was a little over-eager to see her, but he just wanted to be sure she was okay, before allowing her to settle back home with her family. There was no way Molly was going to allow Ginny to leave the Burrow for a while and Harry understood that. She needed to be with the family for a while and he respected that wholeheartedly. He wanted her to be safe and well and in the company of her family which was the best place for her.

As the afternoon slowly ticked by, Harry eventually fell asleep at the helm of the Weasley's kitchen table.

"Hey, sleepyhead," A familiar voice gently stirred him away from his unexpected slumber, until his green eyes rested upon Ginny's face. A faint bruise was barely visible on her face now, but she was still beautiful in his eyes.

A wave of relief washed over his face as he stood up from the table and enveloped Ginny in a hug, burying his face in the base of her neck. Ginny's arm wrapped around his torso, as they stood there for some time, but at that moment, they both felt safe. Safe within their company once again. Ginny softly kissed his cheek, as she hugged him tighter. Words could not express how happy he was to see her return home. Eventually, they pulled away from each other, still holding onto each other's arms.

"Ginny…It's good to see you back," Harry smiled.

"You didn't have to wait for me, silly."

"I didn't have to but I…wanted to. I-I wanted to make sure you were okay."

Ginny clasped Harry's hand in her own, "I'm fine, Harry. Really, I feel okay. Good, even. And awfully glad to be home." She raised her hand carrying Harry's and pressed his hand against her cheek. "I'm glad you're here."

Molly squeezed Harry's shoulder gently, as she rounded the kitchen, almost startling him as he forgot that she was still present, "…I'll leave you two alone." The Weasley matriarch left the kitchen, with a pleased smile on her face, leaving Harry and Ginny alone. Together, they walked to the sitting room and sat down on the couch, leaning back into it. Ginny leaned her head on Harry's chest, as he wrapped his arms around her, leaving them both utterly content and comfortable in each other's company. It was the most relaxed Harry's felt in a long while.

"I hope your St. Mungo's stay wasn't too horrid," Harry broke the silence.

Ginny gave a light chuckle, "It wasn't as bad as people think. The Healers were wonderful and mum was with me most of the time. I'm just glad they released me today. I couldn't tolerate another day."

"Good," Pleased with that response, Harry nodded to himself, "I hope you didn't give them a rough time."

Ginny chuckled, "Of course not! Though, I think they were glad to finally get rid of me."

Now it was Harry's turn to laugh, "Always the troublemaker."

Ginny turned to look at Harry, with a look of amusement on her face, "Says the Chosen One."

Harry winced at the name, "Ugh, I hope to never be called that again if I'm to be honest. I think it's now since expired."

"Duly noted. I believe that name is far too outdated now," Ginny re-shuffled herself on the couch, sitting up against Harry's shoulder, "So, what's Ronald up to?"

"Ron and Hermione are at Hogwarts tending to those potions for Snape. We started them last night."

"Well, that came around quickly. If you guys need any help…"

Harry shook his head, "It'll be fine for now. Neville and Luna have also been helping out."

"How's Snape? He looked oddly shaken up when I saw him last."

Harry bit his lip, "He hasn't returned since the Quarry. I figured he was just tending to other business. Can't expect him to stay locked up with me, of all people."

Ginny looked concerned, "I was very worried for you. And him. When I was stuck powerless in that cage, all I could do was watch helplessly as those Dementors came after you."

"It was…Awfully close," Harry drew in a deep breath, thinking back to that dangerous night.

"Well, let me know when he does decide to show up. I kind of want to thank him. It was pretty badass watching him fight before you got there. He was using the Invisibility Cloak. The Death Eaters were so frustrated when they couldn't see him and I thought that was utterly brilliant."

Harry smirked, "Yeah, it was his idea to travel down undetected with the Cloak. He sent us the go signal. Everything worked really well. Well, almost completely."

"All hiccups aside, it was quite wonderful to see you both fighting side-by-side. Quite the turnaround of events, isn't it?" The youngest Weasley smirked.

"Yeah, it really is. Ask me several months ago if that was ever possible, and I'd tell you that you were barking mad."

Ginny chuckled, "Well, I definitely don't fancy physically breaking you both up in the near future."

"For now, things are…Civil," Harry was incredibly thankful for that. He couldn't even imagine accomplishing the magnificent feat at the Quarry if they were both still at each other's throats. He definitely didn't fancy another showdown with the Potions Master. Harry shifted in his seat, still holding Ginny's hand, "Hey, did you want to go…flying sometime? Just you and me. When it's safe enough, obviously."

"Is that your way of asking me out on a date?"

Harry's cheeks flushed nervously, "Well, I suppose it is."

Ginny smiled, "Well, I'd love that. Once we deal with the rest of this mess, of course. Mum will have a right fit if I even consider leaving the Burrow anytime soon."

"Then, it's a date," Harry smiled, as he tenderly caressed her hand in his. They sat together in blissful silence, comfortable in each other's company. It was a simple connection that ignited Harry's soul; happy to share a love that was equal in return. It made him feel wanted and accepted. He was still rather terrible at the prospect of any kind of relationship, but this was a start and one of the few pure things to happen after everything they'd all endured recently. Being with Ginny gave him a sense of blissful joy, and it warmed his heart. It was one of the few things keeping him from being lost within his own mind and keeping his head above water. It was a hope he so desperately needed, and now the possibility of them going on a first date sparked nervous butterflies within his stomach.

After sitting together chatting for a short while, from the happenings of the DA to the possibility of helping George revive Weasley's Wizard Wheezes joke shop in Diagon Alley, in memory of Fred. They talked of many things, even so simplistic and occasionally mundane, and it reminded Harry of a time when they didn't have a war to worry about. It was a small slice of normalcy that they needed. Ginny wanted to return to Hogwarts and repeat her sixth year, which further sparked Harry's interest in returning for his seventh. It was a lovely thought, and he hoped things will reach some kind of safe medium for them all to return for the other students to return to school once again.

Eventually, Harry left Ginny's side and allowed her time to settle back home, whilst he departed for Grimmauld Place. Content in knowing that she was safe and well, he resumed his task of sifting through the Muggle books, doing his best to retain whatever information he could. Admittedly, he was a little hopeless. He always struggled to study for upcoming tests and exams, but even at his leisure, he was still doing a poor job at doing so. He hated learning from books because he was a visual learner. He could never recite texts within books as effortlessly as Hermione, but Harry was far more confident learning in a practical environment and with someone who could simplify such instructions for him. Hence why he always performed better in practical subjects, such as Defence Against the Dark Arts, Charms, and Transfiguration.

Harry felt painfully overwhelmed with all this new information and the more he delved into it, the worse he felt about the entire thing. Trying to keep Snape alive long enough throughout the entire Transference spell was looking even more impossible the more he pondered. This was entirely out of Harry's expertise, even with the help of his friends. Maybe there was a way he could enlist Madam Pomfrey's help, or at least discuss this possibility with McGonagall. Now that the Headmistress is aware of Snape's impending doom, she could suggest alternative ways to help him. Perhaps he could ask Neville to set up a meeting between them, as both he and Hannah were still volunteering at St. Mungos. For Hannah, she was a little more serious about pursuing a career as a Healer, but at least with some convincing, Harry could ask for Madam Pomfrey's help. After all, the Hogwarts Healer knows Snape and likely had to tend to his needs after returning from unfortunate Death Eater duties.

Hermione had made a stop at Grimmauld Place to check up on Harry, leaving Neville and Luna further prepping ingredients, whilst Ron made a trip back to the Burrow to see his sister.

"Glad to see you've been making use of those textbooks I gave you," Hermione to a seat across from Harry, looking slightly flustered, "I know they are a little complicated, but it's all I could obtain at the moment.

"It's a little overwhelming," Harry flipped a page on the book he held in his hands, and pointed to a detailed diagram of a human brain labeled Three Types of Strokes, "I mean, looking for signs of a stroke? This is beyond me, Hermione. I don't even know what half of these terms mean."

Hermione bit her lip, "Unless you have another alternative?"

Harry helplessly shrugged, "Well, not currently. But when things get really bad – and we both know it will for him – then we are going to need an…expert. "

"We can't take him to St. Mungos. You know the issues that will arise with that, Harry. Could you imagine leaving him there? Once word gets out and the Daily Prophet is still potentially dangerous right now, he will likely get attacked while he's in there. They will be after him with torches and pitchforks. Remember, not everyone knows what he truly did."

"I know, but…I was thinking of asking McGonagall if it was possible if she can, oh I dunno…Assign Madam Pomfrey to him, since she is Hogwarts staff. Away from St. Mungo's, like…here."

Hermione paused in thought, "It's not a bad option, but I thought you said Snape didn't want her involved?"

"Yeah well, I can't keep giving him that choice. I don't care how stubborn he is. If she is an option, then we'll take it. Either way, we need a proper Healer. Not amateur students who know a few basic healing spells. That won't save his life."

"I agree that looking after Snape with what he has is only going to get far more complex. There really is only so much we can do," Hermione drew in a deep breath, "I think talking to McGonagall about it will be a wise decision. Now that she knows, she'll be able to understand our predicament."

Harry gently closed the book in his hands and placed it on the table in front of him. He leaned back in his chair and removed his glasses as he began to rub his eyes.

Hermione observed Harry's noticeably increased stress, "I know this is very worrying for you Harry. And I'd hate to be the one saying this, but…Even though I am confident that this spell will work, but…there is an exceedingly high possibility that he may not survive, Harry. Either the spell actually fails, or we simply run out of time…" She paused, as she lowered her voice, "I just want you to know that we are all doing the best we possibly can for him. That's more of a chance than anyone has given him."

Placing his glasses back on the bridge of his nose, he looked sadly at Hermione as he nodded grimly, "I know. I-I think about that often. I need to be hopeful, even if I know the possibility of him dying is very real. I just can't let him down. But it's just…Not fair, Hermione. I know that sounds childish, but it's true. I simply refuse death to be his fate, after everything."

Hermione nodded sadly, "I know, Harry. And I know this hits harder for you more than anyone. But he knows you are trying for him, and for someone like Snape, I'm sure he appreciates that more than he'll ever admit. But he's willing to make it this far, right?"

"Yeah," Harry nodded, feeling his voice break slightly, "Yeah, he is. I also feel bad that I've been trying to keep him hopeful when he may not survive. Is that…cruel of me to do such a thing?"

Hermione was aghast, "Oh, no Harry, please don't think of such a thing. You gave him hope, Harry. That is always a noble thing to do. And I believe that he is starting to see a reason to keep holding on. I mean, surely he has already changed from when you first found him in the Shrieking Shack?"

"A lot, actually. He didn't want to face anyone and he was ready to die alone, but now…" Harry paused to ponder, "…Now, he is willing to fight alongside us and finish this fight once and for all. And he will keep doing so until he will no longer be able to. Even now, he is still trying to make up for his sins."

"As you said, no matter what, we keep going. Like we always have," Hermione offered Harry a small reassuring smile, "We all didn't get this far by giving up. Professor Snape included."

Harry nodded, "Yeah. You're right." He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, in a desperate bid to change the subject as he cleared his throat, "I saw Ginny earlier. She arrived home a short while ago. She looked well and definitely glad to be back."

Hermione smiled, "Yes, Ron informed me. I'll pay her a visit tomorrow once I've set up the Acromantula ashes to infuse with the leech juice for twelve hours. I'm so pleased she is back home. George must have been so relieved. "

"George and I spoke as we were waiting for her."

Hermione lowered her voice, "…How is he?"

Harry sighed, "Struggling. I honestly can't imagine what he must be feeling. He looked so broken."

"Losing a twin…It's just horrendous," Hermione looked incredibly upset.

"Ginny and I suggested we help him get the shop up and running again. Maybe Ron will be interested? Might help lift his spirits up and keep him occupied and not at home wondering when Fred was going to show up after pranking him."

"He said that?"

Harry nodded sadly, "Among other things."

"Well, that's a wonderful idea, Harry. Once it's safe enough, we can start moving on with our lives," Hermione leaned back on the couch, "Are you still hoping to go back to Hogwarts for seventh year?"

"Yeah, I do. I didn't like the idea initially, but it feels right to. Now that the threat of Voldemort is gone, we can focus on graduating without looking over our shoulders every day."

Hermione smiled, "A logical decision. It will be rather odd to be there after everything, however, education is important. I'm sure McGonagall would be overjoyed to have us back."

"She might regret it on the second day," Harry smirked, "I wouldn't be surprised if she throws us all in detention just to keep us out of trouble again."

Hermione grinned, "That appears likely. I'm trying to convince Ron to return as well, but he's being rather grumpy about it."

Harry chuckled, "Well, I never imagined he'd want to, after everything. I suppose we'll do it without him."

Hermione stood up from the chair, "Alright, I'm going back to Hogwarts to check up on the potions. I shouldn't be too long."

Gingerly, Harry picked up another textbook as Hermione left the room, intending to continue reading through the afternoon. However, moments later, there was a mild thump from downstairs, and Harry looked up, arching his head to the doorway. Seconds later he heard Hermione's voice yelling from downstairs.

"HARRY! GET DOWN HERE QUICKLY! IT'S SNAPE!"

Throwing the heavy book roughly back on the table, he bolted from his chair and ran downstairs to see what fresh hell was in store for them this time.
The End.
End Notes:
I know, I know, I'm cruel - I had to align the chapters so they happened at the same time. I'm so sorry xD