Going Home - Revisited by Swamygliders
Summary: REWRITE Harry has come back to Hogwarts for his second year and something is...off. Harry has tried as hard as he can to keep everything secret and hidden, but people who are watching him know something is wrong. Warning: Mentions of Abuse
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Sexual Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: No Word count: 256866 Read: 20541 Published: 18 Mar 2023 Updated: 01 Jan 2024
Puzzels by Swamygliders
As they strolled through the garden, Don began to regale Harry with stories about Albus's manor, where Severus spent his summers. Severus did own a manor in Spinner's End, but that place was tainted with memories he would rather forget. He had grown up in that house until he was fourteen when his mother passed away, and Albus discovered the dark secrets that had plagued his home. Since then, Severus had lived with Albus, and he couldn't fathom a life without the man's constant presence and support, despite how exasperating they could both be at times.

Don was grateful that Severus continued to reside with Albus, as it made his job somewhat easier. It meant that Albus could oversee Severus's daily potions and ensure he was taking care of himself. However, when the school year began and Severus retreated to his rooms in the dungeons, keeping a watchful eye on the man became more challenging. They had hoped to give Severus more autonomy over his potions and eating habits this year, but that plan hadn't panned out.

After a brief silence, during which Don's thoughts wandered, the Healer refocused on the small boy walking beside him and began describing the wonders of the summer home Harry would soon share with them.

"You'll adore living with Severus and the Headmaster, Harry. Their house is surrounded by an expansive garden, and Severus even maintains several greenhouses for his plants."

Harry's eyes, filled with a mixture of shyness and curiosity, glanced up at Don. "Professor Snape lives with the Headmaster?"

Don let out a gentle sigh and nodded, understanding that Severus hadn't had the chance to discuss their summer arrangements with Harry amidst the chaos of recent events.

"Yes, Harry, he does. Is that alright with you?"

Harry hesitated, his brows furrowing with uncertainty. "Will...will the Headmaster want me there?"

Gently, Don moved his arm from Harry's hand and let it rest tenderly on the boy's shoulders as they continued their leisurely stroll through the picturesque surroundings.

"Did you know it was the Headmaster who played a significant role in helping Severus gain guardianship of you?"

"I guess so. I mean, he's been incredibly kind, and he even taught me to tie my shoes, but does he really want someone like me, a freak, living in his house?"

Don came to an abrupt halt, his heart swelling with a mixture of sadness and concern for the young boy. He turned to face Harry, gently lifting the boy's chin to ensure their eyes met in a moment of heartfelt connection.

"Listen to me, Harry. You are not a freak, and I never want to hear you refer to yourself in such a manner again. Understand?"

Harry nodded hesitantly, though it was clear that he struggled to accept Don's words. The Healer sighed, reminding himself that helping Harry overcome his self-doubt would take time. Taking a deep breath, Don continued.

"Harry, you're an extraordinary child, and I know the Headmaster is thrilled to welcome you into his home. In fact, he even pulled me aside the other day to inquire about your preferences for your room's setup, although that was meant to be a surprise. Remember, it's our little secret, ok?"

Don offered Harry a conspiratorial wink, eliciting a shy smile and nod from the boy. As the Healer found himself wrapped in a heartfelt embrace, Harry clung tightly to his side. When they finally pulled apart, tears glistened in Harry's eyes as he beamed up at Don.

"Thank you."

"There's no need to thank me, Harry, but is there anything you'd like me to relay to Albus? What do you envision for your room?"

Harry shrugged his shoulders as he stepped away from Don. "I...I don't know. The only room I really had was the one Professor Snape provided."

Don nodded thoughtfully, his eyes scanning their surroundings before settling on a nearby bench. Gently guiding Harry to sit down on the welcoming stone seat, the Healer offered the boy a warm and encouraging smile. As soon as they were comfortably settled, Don focused his attention on the child and tenderly patted his shoulder.

"Alright, let's start with something simple: what's your favorite color?"

Harry hesitated for a moment before answering softly, "I don't know...I guess I like blue."

Acknowledging the boy's choice with a kind smile, Don continued with his line of questioning.

"So, how about we paint the walls of your room a lovely shade of blue?"

Looking up at Don with excitement dancing in his eyes, Harry eagerly nodded and leaned in slightly. "Could my bed be dark blue too?"

With a protective arm wrapped around Harry's shoulders, Don gave a reassuring nod, delighted that Harry was confidently expressing his preferences. "Absolutely, Harry. Is there anything else you'd like?"

"I don't know."

"Okay, let's think. What about a desk in your room for studying and drawing? Maybe even one with lots of storage space for all your supplies?"

Harry's eyes lit up at the suggestion, and he gave a small nod, clearly enthusiastic about the idea. Don continued, his voice gentle and full of warmth, as they discussed more ideas for creating a cozy and personalized space for the young boy.

"And how about posters? Would you like some Quidditch posters to liven up your walls and showcase your interests?"

"That would be absolutely brilliant!" Harry exclaimed, his face lighting up with enthusiasm.

Don chuckled softly. "I thought you might like that. I'll be sure to let Albus know your preferences. How about we continue out walk while I share more details about their home?"

Gently disengaging from Don's side and rising from the bench, Harry offered a soft nod. Smiling, Don stood up as well and reached out to hold Harry's hand as they resumed their walk through the gardens.

"Let's see, where did I leave off? You're going to love the room Albus set aside for you. It's situated right across the hall from Severus's and has two large windows that overlook the gardens and the forest that surrounds the manner. Additionally, there's an adjoining room you can use to store all your books, games, or any other belongings—sort of a personal playroom."

Don glanced over at Harry to see if he was paying attention, and his smile faltered when he noticed the boy quietly staring down at his feet as they walked. Slowing his pace, Don gently removed his hand from Harry's and tenderly placed it on the child's shoulder.

"What's wrong, Harry?"

Hesitantly, Harry shrugged. "I...I don't have anything to put in that room..."

Don sighed and nodded empathetically. "I understand, Harry, but we're going to change that. During the Christmas break, Albus plans to take you shopping to find items to fill that space. That was also supposed to be a surprise, but let's keep it our little secret, okay?"

Harry's face lit up with a small, soft smile, and he nodded. Don hadn't initially intended to reveal what he and Albus had discussed regarding Harry's room, toys, and belongings. Still, seeing that tender smile made it worthwhile. He knew Albus would understand when they talked later to head to the Ministry.

With his arm securely around Harry's shoulders, Don continued their stroll down the picturesque garden path.

"Is there anything else you'd like to know about their home?"

Harry hesitated for a moment before asking, "Is there anywhere I can fly my broom?"

Don sighed gently, taking a moment to appreciate the vast garden before them. Glancing down at the eager child beside him, he said, "Yes, Harry, the garden is expansive enough for you to fly over it, but remember that until I give you the go-ahead, you must have an adult with you when you take to the skies."

Harry let out a soft sigh of disappointment, his shoulders slumping ever so slightly. "I understand."

Gently, Don gave the child's shoulders a reassuring squeeze, sensing his frustration. "I'm not trying to be overbearing; I just want to ensure your safety. The skies can be tricky, and I want you to be well-prepared."

Slowly, Harry nodded in agreement, a glimmer of understanding in his eyes. Don steered him in the direction of their rooms, making sure to keep the conversation going.

"I need to go check on Severus. Would you like to spend some time with Pam while I go see him? She's an excellent companion and can show you around."

Harry gave a small, appreciative nod, his eyes shining with curiosity. "Is that alright?"

Don smiled warmly, his eyes crinkling at the corners, conveying his approval.

With another reassuring squeeze of Harry's shoulders, Don smiled down at him, his voice filled with kindness. "Of course, Harry. She'll be delighted to have you as her guest. Just remember to be respectful and enjoy the time you spend with her."

The two then continued walking towards the clinic and made their way to Pam's office. Throughout their walk, Don kept a comforting hand on Harry's shoulders and subtly sent calming magic to ease the boy's nerves. For some reason, Harry's anxiety grew the closer they got to Pam's office.

Eventually, unable to bear seeing Harry so distressed, Don stopped him in his tracks. "Talk to me, Harry. What's wrong?"

"She...she doesn't think I'm weak, does she?"

Positioning himself in front of Harry, Don knelt down and placed a hand on each of the boy's shoulders. "Listen to me, Harry. You are not weak. You've shown immense strength throughout everything you've been through, and now it's time for you to accept the help we're offering. Pam sees you as the same strong young man that Severus and I do, and she wants to help you become even stronger by assisting with your studies. Accepting our help is a sign of strength and nothing else."

Tears welled up in Harry's eyes as he gave a small nod, then lunged forward to embrace the Healer tightly. Don reciprocated the hug and gently lifted Harry off the floor, cradling him as he resumed walking towards Pam's office. As they moved, Don continued to speak softly to Harry.

"I'm sorry, Harry, but Severus has just woken up, and he's experiencing another coughing fit."

Arriving at Pamela's office, Don gently placed Harry down in front of the door. After knocking, he crouched down, ensuring they were at eye level.

"Will you be alright here for a little while, Harry?" Don asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

Harry hesitated for a moment, contemplating his answer, before eventually nodding in understanding. As the door opened, Don stood up and gave Harry a reassuring nod, his eyes conveying a sense of safety and support.

Don offered Pam, who had answered the door, a grateful smile and a pleading look. "Could you please entertain Harry for a bit? I need to attend to a few things."

"Of course, Don. It would be my absolute pleasure to 'hang out' with Harry," Pam responded warmly, her eyes twinkling with enthusiasm.

Pamela reached down to tenderly take Harry's hand in hers, her warm gaze meeting the young boy's as she looked down at his unruly hair. "Come on, Harry. I have a few puzzles we can try to solve, and maybe even some stories to share. How does that sound?"

A small smile appeared on Harry's face as he nodded at Pam, his excitement growing at the prospect of spending time with her. Once Don saw the smile and nod, he reached out to affectionately ruffle Harry's hair, sharing his approval.

"I'll see you later, Harry. Okay? Enjoy your time with Pam and remember that I'm only a shout away if you need me," Don added reassuringly, before leaving the room with a final, warm smile.

With another nod from Harry, Don pivoted and began walking briskly, almost jogging, through the halls towards Severus's room. In mere minutes, he arrived and, mere seconds after entering the room, he was by Severus's bed, supporting the man in a sitting position to help him cough up the congestion more easily.

"It's almost over, Severus. Just hang in there."

When the coughing fit finally subsided, Severus only had enough strength to lean forward into Don's supportive embrace and draw in deep, labored breaths. The Healer gently repositioned Severus into a more comfortable arrangement for both of them, but maintained his secure hold around the man.

"How's your chest, Severus? Are you experiencing any pain?"

As Don carefully lowered Severus onto the bed, he withdrew his arms. Sensing the man's pain, he needed to identify the precise location in order to administer the appropriate potions and creams. However, Severus seemed to struggle with speaking, so Don regarded him with concern as he tenderly placed a hand on the man's chest.

"Don't talk, Severus. Just show me with your hand where it hurts."

Slowly, the man nodded while continuing to breathe heavily. With a trembling hand, Severus touched his chest and then moved it up to his throat. Observing this, Don nodded and retrieved several potions and a cream from the bedside table.

"Alright, Severus. I have a few potions for you to take, and then I'll apply a cream to your chest to alleviate some of the ache."

Nodding, Severus attempted to sit up, but Don was immediately there to assist, positioning a fluffy pillow behind his back for support. The Healer handed the first potion to Severus but maintained a grip on it until the man met his gaze.

"Take it very slowly, Severus, and let me know if it hurts your throat too much. There is a less painful way to administer these, but it can be a bit embarrassing. If you'd prefer that, just tell me."

At the mere mention of suppositories, Severus shuddered and resolved to swallow the potions, regardless of the pain. The embarrassment simply wasn't worth it. He nodded in understanding, and Don released his grip, allowing him to drink the potion.

As Severus gulped down the potion, he winced and flinched at the painful sensation of it scraping down his throat. Don sighed, watching the man inflict further discomfort upon himself. It was evident that Severus wouldn't consider the more embarrassing, yet less painful, method of taking his potions, but at least Don had made the effort. Perhaps after experiencing the pain of swallowing, Severus might reconsider his options.

After Severus had finished painfully swallowing the potion, he handed the vial back to the Healer.

Don sat down on the edge of the bed, his concern evident as he tried to persuade Severus to accept the less painful method of administering the potions that would help him recover.

"Severus, please reconsider. I can combine all these potions into a single injection, which would save your throat the pain."

With a pained expression, Severus closed his eyes and nodded. Despite his initial vow, the agony of the potions scraping down his raw throat was too much to bear. Taking a deep breath, he opened his eyes to see that Don had already combined the necessary potions into the dreaded syringe. Gently, Don laid a hand on Severus's shoulder, infusing the man with calming magic.

"Relax, Severus. Just breathe."

Severus took several more deep breaths, and as Don sensed his patient's growing calm, he removed his hand from the man's shoulder.

"Roll onto your side, Severus, and bend your knees. This will be over in just a moment."

Severus complied, and Don drew the privacy curtains around the bed as a precaution in case someone entered the room. The Healer approached and lifted the covers just enough to access Severus's lower half. Pausing briefly before proceeding, Don placed a reassuring hand on the man's back.

"Take some deep breaths, and this will be over before you know it."

Feeling Severus's steady breathing, Don removed his hand from the man's back and swiftly lowered his pajama bottoms before administering the injection into the muscle of his bottom. For a few moments, Don held his patient in position, ensuring that the medication was entirely absorbed into his body. As soon as he was confident, he quickly restored Severus's pajama bottoms and assisted the man in rolling over.

Once Severus was lying on his back again, the Healer noticed the small tears escaping from the corners of the man's eyes. Before Severus could wipe them away, Don tenderly did so with a soft washcloth he had conjured.

"I know that was uncomfortable and embarrassing, Severus, but by tomorrow, you'll be feeling much better."

Severus nodded, allowing Don to unbutton his top. "I'm going to apply this cream to alleviate some of the pain and tightness you're experiencing, and then I'd like you to get as much sleep as possible. Alright?"

Severus nodded, his eyes fluttering closed as though he was already drifting off to sleep. Don, concerned, set the jar of cream aside and gently placed a hand on the man's forehead.

"Do you want me to help you fall asleep and then apply the cream?"

Severus gave a slow, weary nod. "Alright, Severus, just relax."

The Healer positioned his other hand on his patient's chest and sent a gentle stream of calming magic into him, just enough to induce a peaceful slumber that he hoped would last until dinnertime. As soft snores emanated from the now-sleeping man, Don retrieved the cream and began to delicately spread it onto Severus's chest.

Once he had finished massaging the cream into the man's skin, Don buttoned up Severus's top and tucked him in snugly, pulling the covers up to his chin. He then vanished the empty vials and placed the two half-full jars on the bedside table for easy access later.

Don pulled the privacy curtain open and settled into the chair beside the bed with a sigh. He glanced at Severus, wishing that the man's throat hadn't become so sore from the incessant coughing, but he knew that it was an inevitable consequence of the violent coughs.

Setting that thought aside, as there was nothing he could do to change the past, Don rose to fetch a soothing balm for the outside of Severus's throat, hoping it would provide some relief. He would have applied it earlier, but his priority had been getting Severus to sleep for faster healing.

Retrieving the cream from one of the many potion supply rooms, Don returned to the room shared by Severus and Harry. Upon arrival, he opened the jar, gently lowered the covers, and carefully applied the balm to his patient's throat. He observed with satisfaction as Severus's breathing became even steadier.

With a sense of relief, Don placed the jar of cream next to the other two on the bedside table. He then rested a hand on the man's forehead to check his temperature, feeling reassured that the suppository had worked as quickly as he had hoped. Removing his hand from Severus's forehead, Don tucked the man in even more securely to ensure his comfort.

"Feel better, Severus. I'll be back for dinner, and I'll bring Harry so you can have some company. He won't admit it out loud, but I can tell he's grown quite attached and misses being with you."

With a warm smile, Don patted the man's shoulder one last time before quietly leaving the room to check on Pamela and Harry.

As Don attended to Severus, Pamela seized the opportunity to become better acquainted with Harry. They had met earlier, but their interactions had been aimed at determining how she could assist him, rather than truly understanding the person he was.

When Don hurriedly disappeared down the corridor, Pamela offered Harry a warm smile and ushered him into her expansive therapy office. It was a decision she had made some time ago to stock the room with puzzles and games, a choice she now found herself grateful for.

Upon entering the comforting space, Pamela expertly flicked her wand, causing several puzzles to float down from the shelves and land gently on a small table, flanked by chairs on either side.

"Harry, you're welcome to select any of these puzzles, or if you'd prefer, we can play a game instead. The choice is yours."

Tentatively, Harry glanced up at the compassionate witch and offered a small, grateful smile. "Could we try solving a puzzle? I've always wanted to, but whenever I attempted one at school, Dudley would come over and ruin it before I could finish."

Suppressing a sigh and forcing a smile, Pamela nodded. "Of course, Harry. Have a seat and pick one out. I'll be right back, okay?"

Harry complied, settling into a chair and selecting a puzzle featuring a garden adorned with a profusion of vibrant flowers. The image stirred within him a desire to tend to the Headmaster's garden, wondering if he might be permitted to assist. Of all the tasks he'd been assigned at the Dursleys, gardening was the only one he'd genuinely enjoyed. Although the heat and inevitable sunburn had been less than ideal, Harry found satisfaction in the vitality he brought to the delicate blossoms under his care.

As Harry's thoughts meandered through the idea of lush gardens, Pamela retreated to her small, private office at the back, allowing herself a moment to collect her thoughts and emotions. Witnessing or hearing about a child being harmed or tormented by someone bigger or older never failed to deeply affect her. She recalled all too well the pain of being bullied during her time at Hogwarts, where her dorm mates had relentlessly teased and tormented her. Thus, in situations like this - though they were rare - Pamela needed to take a moment to compose herself, ensuring her feelings would not intrude upon Harry's experience.

With a few steadying breaths, Pamela summoned a smile and re-entered the main office, ready to entertain Harry as Don had requested. Approaching the table, she gracefully seated herself across from Harry and offered him an encouraging smile.

"I see you've chosen one of the more challenging puzzles. Would you like me to help you solve it?"

As Harry carefully emptied the pieces onto the table, he nodded. "I would like that."

With a smile, Pamela assisted Harry in organizing the pieces, ensuring the images faced upwards for easy identification. As they worked together, Pamela engaged the young boy in conversation, asking about anything that came to mind, opening the door to a deeper connection and understanding.

"I know we discussed school earlier, Harry, but I didn't get the chance to ask you how you feel about Hogwarts. Do you enjoy attending school there?"

Harry shrugged. "From the moment I arrived, it's felt like home to me, and I believe it always will. I actually have friends there, and nobody has hurt me."

However, as he spoke, Harry's hand instinctively traced the scar on his forehead, and Pamela discerned the unspoken words: "Except for Voldemort."

"Does your head hurt, Harry?"

The boy removed his hand from his forehead and hesitantly nodded. "Whenever I think about that night with the stone."

"Have you told anyone?" Pamela was aware of the events that unfolded on the night Harry pursued the Philosopher's Stone, as were most people in the wizarding world. Though it was intended to be a well-kept secret, the general picture was known to many, if not the exact details.

When the healer posed her question, Harry slowly shook his head. "I didn't think it was important."

"It is important to us, Harry. You need to share things like that so we can help you. What did the Headmaster say about that night?"

Albus had provided Don with more specific information about what had occurred, in case it would be necessary to support Harry. Don, in turn, had shared with Pamela that Harry had nearly died from magical exhaustion that night.

"He said I was very brave, but I mustn't rush into danger like that again. I should have sought a teacher's help, but when I told him I went to Professor McGonagall, and she simply told us not to worry!"

Harry's breathing grew labored as the painful memories of being dismissed and ignored, much like his experiences with his aunt and uncle, resurfaced in his mind, causing his heart to ache.

Observing Harry's distress and rapid breathing, Pamela approached him with gentle concern, placing her hands on his shoulders and channeling a soothing magic into his body. The calming energy enveloped Harry, easing his anxiety.

"Relax, Harry. That's in the past, and it won't happen again. Take some deep breaths for me, and when you're ready, we can discuss this further. Alright?"

Harry obeyed, and as his breathing steadied, the fog in his mind cleared. Pamela gradually reduced the flow of calming magic before ceasing it entirely, a tender smile on her face. She gently patted Harry's shoulder before moving away from him.

"Feeling better?"

As Harry nodded, Pamela withdrew her hands and returned to her seat, her eyes never leaving the young boy. She crossed her legs and leaned forward, showing her genuine interest in the conversation.

"Now, let me ask you this: were there any other teachers you could have approached?"

Harry, focused on the puzzle before him, nodded slowly as he picked up a piece and tried to fit it into the puzzle. "What if they had dismissed my concerns as well?"

Pamela sighed, her eyes filled with empathy, and she reached out to give Harry's hand a reassuring squeeze. "You never told them, though. Do you think Professor Snape would have turned you away?"

Harry shrugged. Last year, he had believed Snape was attempting to steal the stone, but now he knew differently. What would have happened if he had confided in the man about the stone's impending theft?

Noticing Harry lost in thought once more, Pamela let out a gentle sigh and placed a comforting hand on his, drawing him back to the present.

"The past is behind us, Harry. No need to dwell on it now. But will you promise me that if anything like this happens again or your scar hurts, you'll seek help from an adult?"

Harry slowly nodded, and Pamela removed her hand, offering him an encouraging smile.

"Let's see how much progress you've made on this puzzle."

Pamela moved the box to the floor and examined the nearly completed puzzle, with all corners and edges in place.

"Look how far you've come! I'm so impressed, Harry!"

Blushing, the boy looked down at his lap, unaccustomed to receiving praise. Recognizing his discomfort, Pamela smiled warmly and changed the

Harry offered a modest smile. "Hermione is absolutely brilliant. She's always reading and helping Ron and me with our homework. She's like the sister I never had. And Ron, he's my best friend in the whole world. We talk about Quidditch, goof around together, and he's incredibly skilled at chess! The twins, Ron's brothers, are great too. They pull all sorts of pranks and jokes, but they're harmless and amusing even when you're the target. The rest of the Weasleys are nice as well, although I haven't met Bill or Charlie yet and didn't have much time to get to know the others this summer. I wish I had more time with them... Mr. Weasley did come to help Don and me at the Ministry, though!"

As Harry shared this with Pamela, he looked up at her as if trying to convince her that the Weasleys truly were good people. The healer suspected that he was actually trying to reassure himself more than her. Gently, she placed a puzzle piece in its correct position and offered the boy an encouraging smile.

"I'm certain they're all lovely, Harry, and I'm sure you'll have the opportunity to see them all and get to know them better this summer. I'm glad Arthur could help you at the Ministry, and I know he would do the same if given another chance."

The child nodded and refocused on the puzzle before him. Curiosity piqued, Pamela asked the question she had been pondering all morning.

"Have you considered whether you want to return to school on Monday?"

Harry shrugged. "I really want to attend classes and see my friends, but I don't want to leave Professor Snape's quarters either."

"I recall Severus offering you his rooms whenever you wished to stay with him. You could attend school during the day and return to his quarters at night if you wanted. Or you could sleep in the dorms during the week and spend weekends in his rooms. What do you think of either option?"

"Could I really return to Severus's quarters at night?"

"Yes, Harry. I suppose you were too exhausted and emotional to fully comprehend what Severus was offering you." Pamela said as she put a hand on his shoulder.

Blushing with embarrassment, Harry said, "I think I'll return to classes but stay with Severus at night... at least for now." He picked up another puzzle piece and examined it.

"I believe that's an excellent solution, Harry, and I'm proud of you for making a decision." Pamela praised him with a smile.

Once again, Harry blushed as he placed the puzzle piece into its proper position. The pair continued assembling the puzzle in companionable silence until a soft knock on the door interrupted them.

Smiling at Harry, Pamela rose from her chair and brushed her skirt. "I'll see who it is, Harry. I suspect it's Don."

Upon opening the door, she found Don standing there, grinning at her. She gestured for him to enter, and he walked over to Harry, smiling at the boy's progress on the puzzle.

"Hey, Harry, it looks like you're almost done with that puzzle. Once you finish, do you want to stay here for a bit longer, or would you like to do something else?" Don asked as he leaned against the wall.

Harry hesitated, his fingers fidgeting with a puzzle piece. "Could we visit Professor Snape?"

The healer detected the flicker of concern in Harry's eyes and gently nodded as he took a seat in a conjured chair, while Pamela settled into her own chair.

"I assure you Severus is fine, but if it would put your mind at ease, we can visit him. We won't stay long, though; I don't want to disturb his rest. The more sleep he gets today, the better he'll feel." Don reassured Harry with a warm smile.

Harry nodded in understanding and focused on placing the final puzzle pieces.

"Is there anything else you'd like to do after that, Harry? We still have some time before dinner." Don asked, crossing his legs in the chair.

Pondering for a moment, Harry shook his head as he connected two puzzle pieces. "I don't know what else I can do..."

Don thought for a few seconds before an idea struck him. "You could write in your journal if you'd like or maybe write letters to your friends, sharing everything you've done today."

Harry's eyes lit up with hope. "Could I look at that photo album Severus showed me yesterday?"

Don smiled reassuringly. "Severus anticipated you might want to see it again, so he brought it along. It's in your room now. How about you write a bit in your journal, and then we can both look at the photos until dinnertime?"

Harry agreed, placing the final puzzle piece. Don observed the completed image, which depicted a garden. However, there was an unexpected addition: a small child planting flowers while a tall, dark man watched from a distance, reading a book. Don surmised that it must have been accidental magic.

Don rose from his chair and approached Harry, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Would you mind if I took a picture of you with this masterpiece? I'd love to include it in my photo album."

Harry looked up in surprise, his eyebrows raised. "You have a photo album?"

Don smiled, retrieving his camera from his pocket with a flourish. "I do, Harry. I can show it to you if you like. It has photos of Severus from when he was fourteen, as well as a few of you from the past few days."

The boy's eyes widened in curiosity. "You have pictures of me?"

"Why, yes." Don chuckled. "I enjoy taking photos of all my patients so they can have them later in life to remember their happy moments."

Harry hesitated before agreeing, his cheeks flushing slightly. "Could you show it to me?"

Smiling, Don patted Harry on the shoulder reassuringly. "I think that can be arranged. Now, stand next to your puzzle so I can take a picture."

Harry obliged, positioning himself proudly next to the completed puzzle. Don captured several images from different angles to ensure the perfect shot. Don then turned to Pamela, offering a nod of gratitude.

"Thank you for keeping Harry entertained while I attended to Severus. Would you mind keeping this puzzle on your table until tomorrow? I want to show it to someone, and I don't think the pictures will do it justice."

Pamela agreed, her eyes twinkling. "I was actually planning on casting a sticking charm on the pieces and gifting it to a certain someone. I dare say he'll be touched to see his likeness."

As the two healers whispered, Harry studied the puzzle, his brow furrowed, wondering how the figures had appeared. He had merely imagined planting flowers with his new guardian, and then it happened. Was it his magic? Would he be in trouble for performing underage magic outside of Hogwarts?

Noticing Harry's distress, Don quickly approached him, placing his hands on the boy's shoulders and helping him to regulate his breathing. Once Harry calmed down, Don gently questioned him about his thoughts.

"I used magic outside of Hogwarts...I didn't mean to!" Harry's eyes filled with worry.

Don reassured Harry that he wasn't in trouble, explaining that his accidental magic was harmless and even endearing. He suggested framing the puzzle as a gift for Severus, an idea that delighted Harry.

Together, they decided to check on Severus, while Pamela stayed behind to prepare the framed puzzle. As they left, Don discreetly planted a small kiss on Pamela's cheek, making her blush. He smiled, pleased with his progress in their relationship, and whispered in her ear.

"Tomorrow, we will share a delightful dinner together, I promise."

Pamela's poise returned as she noticed Harry looking up at her, giving Don a subtle smile. At last, Don was taking the initiative; she had been waiting far too long for him to make a move. She surmised that she had given him the perfect nudge earlier when she mentioned that she would be waiting for him. Finally!

Beaming with satisfaction, Pamela grinned at the pair. "I shall see you both tomorrow. Harry, make sure to have a good night's rest and don't allow this gentleman to regale you with too many stories about Severus. Some tales are best left for the man himself to recount."

Her final comment was aimed more at Don than Harry. She was aware that he enjoyed sharing anecdotes about his charge, and she didn't want him to become too absorbed in storytelling.

Fortunately, Don took the hint and offered a subtle nod. Together, they made their way down the hall to Harry and Severus's room so Harry could witness firsthand that Severus was indeed faring well.

Upon entering their room, Harry immediately approached Severus's bed and settled in the chair close to his head. As Don came over and rested a hand on the boy's shoulder, Harry looked up at him, his eyes filled with concern.

With a warm smile, Don gently squeezed Harry's shoulder. "He's fine, Harry, just a tad exhausted."

"Really? He appears so pale."

"He truly is all right. Now, let's fetch your journal and the photo album. We can head down to the sunroom to peruse them."

Harry hesitated before nodding and retrieving his journal, while Don collected the photo album and placed it in his pocket alongside his own. When Harry returned to Don, the Healer tenderly took the boy's hand and smiled down at him.

"Are you ready to go, Harry?"

Giving a small nod, Harry picked up the little black cat from his bed. Though he felt at ease around Don, he couldn't shake the feeling that he needed the comfort of the tiny stuffed animal.

Don simply smiled at the child and guided him out of the room. As the late afternoon approached, it wasn't uncommon for children to seek some extra reassurance.

Upon reaching the sunroom, Don escorted Harry to a cozy couch in the corner and sat down with the boy snuggled beside him. The Healer then positioned a small table in front of Harry and produced a quill and ink for Harry to write.

"Here you are, Harry. Write about anything you like, whatever springs to mind. Once you're finished, let me know, and we'll have a look at the photographs."

Harry nodded and opened his journal to the correct page, taking the quill and carefully holding it the way Don had demonstrated earlier in the day. This technique made writing much easier, and the result was far clearer.

Don observed the boy writing for a few minutes, his hands folded in his lap, before withdrawing a book he had brought along for himself to read while Harry jotted down his thoughts.

Ten minutes passed with Harry writing and Don engrossed in his book, occasionally glancing over to check on Harry, until Harry quietly closed his journal and gazed up at Don with a curious expression.

"May we look at the pictures now?"

Setting his book aside with a warm smile, Don replied, "That's precisely why I brought them."

The Healer took out the two albums from his pocket and placed the one featuring a beaming Severus on the cover on top.

"Come closer, Harry, and we'll explore these together."

As Harry scooted nearer, Don wrapped an arm around his shoulders and opened the album to the first page, the two of them leaning in to get a better view.

The pair sat cozily together for some time, Harry utterly captivated by the photographs of a young Severus, his lap adorned with a small toy, while Don enthusiastically narrated the stories behind the photos. As their session drew to a close, Don couldn't help but notice the gentle snores emanating from Harry, who now bore a serene smile on his slumbering face.

With a warm smile of his own, Don carefully closed the photo album and magically shrunk all three books, stowing them safely in his pocket. He then tenderly adjusted Harry's position so that he could cradle him in his arms, rising from the couch with the sleeping boy nestled securely against him.

Upon reaching their shared room, Don gently laid Harry down onto his bed and summoned two trays of nourishing food for his charges. Then, crossing the room, he softly shook Severus's shoulder, rousing him so he could enjoy a much-needed meal.

Severus's eyes fluttered open slowly, and upon recognizing Don, a faint smile tugged at the corners of his lips. He gratefully accepted the Healer's assistance in sitting up, his strength still somewhat depleted as Don carefully adjusted the pillows behind him for support.

"How does your throat feel?" Don inquired, his eyebrows raised in concern.

Severus cleared his throat and nodded, wincing slightly. "It's... better."

Pleased, Don continued, his smile broadening. "Good. Do you think you could eat something?"

Severus hesitated, his gaze drifting to the side as he considered the question. Finally, he nodded slowly. "Could I have an appetite stimulant, though?"

With a nod, Don fetched the potion from the bedside table. "Drink up, Severus, and then have some dinner. I'm going to wake Harry so he can have something to eat as well and then get ready for bed. I think you two should stay the night."

Understanding the unspoken implications, Severus sighed and agreed, knowing that it would be easier for all three of them if they stayed put.

The Healer's smile broadened as he placed the tray of food on Severus's lap. He then moved to Harry's bed, gently waking the child and earning a feeble attempt to bat his hand away.

Leaning closer, Don whispered softly into Harry's ear, "I have food for you, Harry, and then you can go back to sleep."

At the mention of food, Harry's eyes gradually opened, and he beamed as Don set a tray of food on his lap. Propping himself up slightly with the help of his elbows, he nestled his plush toy beside him and expressed his gratitude with a sincere smile.

"Thank you."

"You're very welcome, Harry. Now eat up, and I'll be back in a bit, okay?"

Harry nodded, and Don turned his attention to Severus. "I'll leave you two for a few minutes. If Harry finishes his meal before I get back, have him take a shower and get into his pajamas."

As Severus gave his consent with a nod, Don exited the room, leaving the duo to dine in silence. Once both had finished, Severus beckoned Harry over to his bed, but the child hesitated, wringing his hands anxiously.

Severus offered a reassuring smile, placing one hand on Harry's shoulder while patting the bed with the other.

"Hop up, Harry."

Cautiously, Harry climbed onto the bed, unsure of what to do next. With a gentle smile, Severus guided the boy so that he was sitting in his lap, one arm wrapped around Harry for support.

"How are you doing, Harry?"

Harry gave a small nod. "I'm okay... how are you, sir?"

"I'm going to be just fine, Harry. Now, why don't you go take a shower and get ready for bed? Are you going to be okay spending the night here?"

Harry nodded slightly before making his way off the bed to take his shower. Just as he was about to hop off, Don reentered the room, his eyes twinkling at the heartwarming scene before him.

"Don't forget to grab your pajamas, Harry," Don gently reminded the boy, pointing towards the stack of fresh clothes on a nearby chair.

Acknowledging Don's reminder, Harry collected his nightwear from the bedside table and headed into the bathroom. As Harry disappeared to take his shower, Don returned both food trays to the kitchens with a simple wave of his wand. The Healer then offered Severus another potion.

"This is the last fever reducer you'll need to take, Severus. By tomorrow, you should be as right as rain."

Severus couldn't help but scowl at the phrase Don had chosen, but he obediently downed the potion, wincing slightly as it irritated his still-sore throat.

"Do you want me to apply that cream to your chest again?"

At Severus's subtle nod, Don retrieved the jar of cream and approached the bed. In the meantime, Severus unbuttoned his top and settled back against the pillows.

Wearing a warm smile, Don scooped a generous amount of cream into his hand and gently smoothed it over Severus's chest. Most of the mucus had been expelled from the man's lungs, leaving Don grateful for the absence of the previously required mucus cream. Despite its unpleasantness, Severus's coughing fits had served to purge the unwanted crud and ultimately eliminate the need for the additional cream.

Within a matter of minutes, Don had finished applying the cream and was rebuttoning Severus's top.

"Why don't you go back to sleep now, Severus, and I'll take care of Harry?"

Severus nodded, slipping back down into the bed and closing his eyes almost instantly. The illness had taken a heavy toll, leaving him utterly drained.

As Don tenderly tucked the covers up to Severus's chin, he couldn't help but smile at his now resting patient.

Moments later, a bashful, damp-haired Harry emerged from the bathroom. Don beamed as he pulled back the covers on the boy's bed, inviting him to climb in.

"Come on, Harry. You've had a long day, and you need some sleep."

Harry nodded, eagerly hopping into bed as Don drew the covers up, enveloping him snugly.

"Did you remember to brush your teeth?"

Blushing, Harry nodded slowly. Don's smile only grew.

"Sleep tight, Harry. Remember, all you need to do is call me if you need anything. There's a charm on your bed that will alert me if you have any nightmares, and I'll be here as soon as I can."

Harry nodded once more, his weary eyes beginning to close. Don smiled as he adjusted the small toy, ensuring Harry could easily reach it if he desired its comforting embrace. The Healer's efforts were rewarded when the child instinctively reached out and clutched the toy tightly.

Satisfied, Don checked on Severus one last time, confirming that the man was resting peacefully. With a flick of his wand, he extinguished the lights and quietly exited the room.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3842