Going Home - Revisited by Swamygliders
Summary: REWRITE Harry has come back to Hogwarts for his second year and something is...off. Harry has tried as hard as he can to keep everything secret and hidden, but people who are watching him know something is wrong. Warning: Mentions of Abuse
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Sexual Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: No Word count: 256866 Read: 20541 Published: 18 Mar 2023 Updated: 01 Jan 2024
Questioning by Swamygliders
Early the next morning, as sunlight streamed through the curtains, Severus's eyes slowly opened to a bright and beautiful day. Looking down, he saw his child snuggled against him, with his head buried deep into his chest. Smiling, Severus gently reached down and stroked the boy's hair back from his face, revealing Harry's peacefully sleeping expression. He looked so innocent when he was asleep. The man then began to tenderly rub the boy's back in an attempt to wake him. If his guess was correct, it was near eight in the morning, and he wanted to get Harry back home as soon as possible so he could contact Albus about the adoption. He was both excited and nervous, and he didn't want to have second thoughts before everything began.

"Harry, it's time to wake up," he whispered softly.

Stirring slightly, Harry snuggled deeper into Severus's chest. The man's smile grew, and he let out a small, content sigh as he moved his hand from Harry's back and gently started to shake the boy's shoulder.

"Come on, Harry, it's time for breakfast, and then we can go back home."

At the mention of food, Harry pulled back from Severus's chest a little and looked up at the man with sleepy, emerald eyes. Smiling down at the drowsy face, Severus affectionately ruffled the boy's hair.

"Good morning, Harry."

"Good morning, Professor," Harry replied groggily.

Still smiling, Severus sighed softly. He knew it would take time before Harry felt comfortable calling him anything but his formal title, but he had hoped that after last night, Harry would at least feel comfortable calling him by his first name. It seemed that he had only done so out of distress, perhaps?

"Harry, do you remember what I told you last night?" Severus inquired gently, his gaze fixed on the boy's eyes, searching for understanding.

Blushing, Harry glanced down, feeling a bit sheepish. "It's not my fault..."

"No, Harry, it's not your fault," Severus reassured him. "But do you remember anything else I mentioned?"

The boy hesitated for a moment. "I... I can call you... daddy?"

Severus hugged Harry a little closer to his chest, his heart swelling with affection for the child in his arms. "Yes, Harry, you can if you want to."

"I can?" Harry's eyes widened with surprise and a hint of delight.

"Yes, my child," Severus confirmed softly.

Harry lowered his head and snuggled back into Severus's chest. "Daddy?"

Severus couldn't help but let a wide smile grace his face, filled with pride for his boy. "What is it, Harry?"

"Are we going home today? I would like to go back to my room."

Smiling, Severus looked down at the messy black mop of hair and tenderly stroked the few strands away that kept obstructing his view of the child's face.

"We can go home after you eat some breakfast. Does that sound alright?"

Harry nodded his head as Severus gently pulled him away from his chest, smiling at the small yawn that escaped Harry's mouth.

"Well, I don't think we can eat lying in bed like this. We should get up and get some food in your belly," Severus encouraged, helping Harry sit up.

Again, Harry nodded, but this time he reluctantly moved to get up out of his warm spot. As Harry did so, Severus sat up slightly and helped the child off the bed, guiding him towards the bathroom. The man then got out of bed himself, straightening the sheets and fluffing the pillows, so the house elves would have one less task today. When he was finished, he grabbed the clothing he had asked the house elves to bring him yesterday when Don had made it clear they were not leaving until the next morning, and started to walk to the bathroom to give the child his clothing.

In just a few moments, as Severus had taken only a few steps toward the bathroom, Harry emerged. The boy looked down at his feet as he walked towards the man who had stopped in his tracks, waiting to see what the boy would do. Concerned by Harry's demeanor, Severus knelt down so that he was at Harry's level.

"What is it, Harry?" he asked gently.

"I...I didn't make it..." Harry mumbled, his face flushing with embarrassment.

Just then, Severus noticed the small wet patch on Harry's pajamas and sighed inwardly. Gently, Severus placed a hand beneath Harry's chin, lifting it so the boy had no choice but to meet his eyes.

"There's no need to be ashamed, Harry. Accidents happen, and I'm glad you came to me for help. I have a change of clothing right here for you. Why don't you go and take a quick shower and get changed?"

Slowly, Harry took the clothes from Severus's arms and nodded his head. Gently, Severus rested a hand on the boy's shoulder and gave him an encouraging smile.

"I'll see you in a bit, okay, Harry?"

The boy nodded and then turned to walk back to the bathroom to clean up. Severus watched as Harry padded back to the restroom, and when the boy closed the door, the man let out a small sigh while he stood up from the floor. Tiredly, he rubbed his face with his rough fingers and closed his eyes for a moment, wondering if he was truly cut out for this. Sighing, he sat back down on the bed and placed his clothing beside him.

Leaning in the doorway, Don smiled as he came to sit down next to the man. As soon as he heard the soft rustling in the room, indicating that the pair had awakened, he had walked quickly to the boy's room, wanting to be there when they woke. He had just watched as Severus had taken care of Harry and was deeply touched to hear the small "daddy" from the boy. It seemed as though Pam was right, and the boy had experienced a small breakthrough last night, gradually opening up to the idea of having Severus as a father figure in his life.

"Hi Severus," Don greeted, his voice warm and friendly.

Looking over to the man, Severus nodded his head in greeting. "Good morning."

"Pamela told me what happened last night. How are you doing?" Don inquired, genuine concern in his eyes.

Glancing at Don, Severus shrugged his shoulders and then looked back down at his lap. "Fine, I suppose, but can I really do this? Am I the right person?"

"Severus, stop it and look at me!" Don urged, his voice firm but kind.

Slowly, Severus did as Don told him and looked over at the Healer. However, when he saw the determination burning in Don's eyes, he flinched a little and looked back down. He knew that look all too well; by the end of this talk, he would be agreeing to anything Don said.

As Severus looked back down at his lap, Don reached out and grabbed the man's chin so that he had no choice but to look at him.

"No, Severus, you're not running from this child. He needs you too much for you to do that to him. I know you're scared that you're going to mess up, and I'm sure you will at some point – we all do. But Albus and I will be there to help you make everything right again. None of us are perfect, but you are the perfect person for that child in there. He loves you, and I can clearly see that you love him. I know that the moment you saw this child hurt, you wanted to do whatever you could to protect him. Just follow that instinct. It has never steered you wrong before."

Don released the man's chin when he saw the slight nod and heard the soft whisper. "I won't run. You're right, Don, as always."

Sighing, Don nodded. "I know you're just saying that, Severus, but please listen to me and come to me or Albus if you have any trouble. Okay?"

"I will," Severus promised.

"Good, now get dressed. If Harry comes out of the shower before you're ready, I'll go order breakfast with him."

Patting Severus on the arm, Don got up off the bed and smiled at the man. Looking up at the Healer, Severus nodded and stood up to put his robes on. Silently, Don pulled closed the privacy curtains so Severus could dress without feeling embarrassed. He knew how much privacy meant to the man.

While Severus was dressing, a wet-haired boy emerged from the bathroom and blushed when he saw Don giving him a warm smile. Earlier, out of the corner of his eye, Harry had seen Don watching them from the doorway while Severus was reassuring him, but he had decided to ignore that embarrassment just then. Now, though, Harry was feeling all the embarrassment from earlier weigh heavily on his shoulders.

Sensing the boy's nervousness and discomfort, Don approached Harry and gently laid a hand on his shoulder.

"No need to be embarrassed, Harry. Now let's go order some breakfast and surprise Severus. What would you like?" Don asked, his tone gentle and encouraging, as he steered the conversation toward a more comfortable topic.

Quietly, Don led the boy out of the room to give Severus a bit more privacy and space to process the conversation they just had. Severus had a history of running away when things either got tough or he found himself in unfamiliar territory. That's what happened with that woman from last year. The poor man couldn't understand why a woman like that would find him attractive, so he had run as fast as he could. Don had let him then, but he was now determined not to let Severus do that again. It would not only hurt Harry, but it would hurt Severus even more. Even if it had only been a few short days, the two had somehow formed a strong bond, and to break that would be devastating.

With those thoughts cleared away, Don smiled down at the shy boy in front of him who was still blushing. It amazed him how much alike Harry was to Severus when he was younger. Not in looks, but they had that same sweet nature. Harry's was much more pronounced than Severus's had been and still was, but it was there nonetheless.

"So, Harry, what would you like for breakfast? Anything special?" Don asked, trying to engage the boy.

Harry shrugged his shoulders, unsure of what to say.

Sighing a bit, Don patted the boy on the shoulder. "Alright then, Harry. How about some grits, toast, eggs, and fruit?"

Slowly, the boy nodded his head. "That sounds really good!" he replied, a hint of enthusiasm in his voice.

With a smile, Don called a house elf and ordered their meal. When the house elf returned with two trays, Don silently handed one of the trays to Harry. As the elf disappeared, Don smiled down at the boy. Gently, he placed a hand on the child's shoulder and led him back into the room where the two had been staying.

Upon entering the room, Harry saw Severus sitting on his bed, smiling at him. Gently, the man patted the spot next to him on the bed and gestured for Harry to come and sit next to him.

"Come have a seat, Harry, and we'll eat together," Severus invited.

Nodding, Harry approached with the tray and sat down next to Severus. Don followed closely behind him and carefully placed the tray he was carrying on Severus's lap while he pulled three potions from his robe pocket. First, he handed one potion to Severus, and then the other two to Harry.

"Drink up, boys, and then I want to see all this food disappear. Is that clear?" Don instructed, in a firm but friendly tone.

Both nodded, and Severus gave the Healer a small scowl as he downed the potion. Harry simply did as Don told him, and after drinking the whole glass of milk, he started to eat his food. Smirking, Don looked at Severus, who was still scowling at him.

"See, Severus? Why can't you be more agreeable like Harry here?" Don teased, trying to lighten the mood as they all enjoyed their breakfast together.

Harry looked up and blushed at hearing his name mentioned. Glancing between the scowling man and the smiling Healer, he didn't know what to think or how he should feel. It seemed that Don was enjoying teasing his Professor, but was his new father figure mad at him?

Don noticed the absence of the small clank against the ceramic plate, so he looked over to see what the matter was and saw Harry nervously glancing between the two. Quickly, he sent a significant look to Severus and gestured with his head toward the small child next to him. He wanted Severus to soothe the boy's nerves; it was good for him to bond with the child. As soon as Severus caught the slight nod, he looked over at Harry and sighed at the sight of the small nervous boy. Gently, he placed a hand on Harry's shoulder so that he would look up into his concerned eyes.

"What is it, Harry?" Severus asked, his voice gentle and concerned.

"I'm sorry..." Harry murmured, his voice barely audible.

"For what, Harry?" Severus probed, trying to understand the root of the boy's apology.

Harry shrugged his shoulders and cast his gaze downward, avoiding eye contact. Sighing slightly, Severus carefully set his tray of food beside him on the bed. He then tenderly turned Harry's face, cupping his chin so that the boy was looking directly into his eyes.

"Did what Don said earlier bother you? Is that what has been troubling you?" Severus inquired with empathy, hoping to coax a response from the child.

Slowly, Harry nodded his head, confirming his emotions and the cause of his distress.

"You know, Harry, Don was just teasing me. He wasn't saying anything negative about either of us; he was just joking, Harry."

Slyly, Harry shot a glance at Don, who was simply nodding and smiling at the child. Even though it was a quick glance, Don saw it and was glad that the child had the courage to look over at him. Gently, the Healer reached over and placed a hand on Severus's, which was still resting on the child's shoulder.

"Severus is right, Harry. I was just teasing."

Harry nodded. "So...you don't want Severus to be more like me?" The boy shot an anxious look over at his Professor.

Don removed his hand and sat on the other side of Harry. "Severus will always be who he is, and even if I wish at times he would be more compliant, I would not want him to change one bit. Just as I would never wish for you to change from the sweet child you are."

Slowly, Harry nodded as Don patted him on the leg and Severus retrieved his food onto his lap.

"Now eat up, Harry, so we can go home," Severus encouraged, as they all resumed their breakfast, feeling more at ease with one another.

Looking back over to Severus, Harry nodded again and picked up his fork to resume eating. When Don saw Harry continue eating, he sent a silent, stern look over to Severus, prompting the man to start eating as well.

Once they had both finished their meal, Don asked a house elf to clear away their trays, and Severus took Harry into his lap, giving him a small, affectionate hug as he did.

"Is there anything you would like to do when we go home, Harry?"

Slowly, the boy gave a small nod. "Can we look at that other photo book?"

"That sounds wonderful, Harry. And then we can talk about some things."

As Severus said that, he gave a significant look over at Don, who nodded in understanding. The Healer predicted that Severus would be calling him later tonight. Before Severus officially adopted Harry, they both knew that Severus was going to have to tell the child more about his past. The man had been dreading this for fear that Harry would reject him once he found out, but the boy had to know what he was getting himself into.

Giving the child one last squeeze, Severus unwrapped his arms and let Harry hop down from his perch. He then stood up and took the offered potion Don was handing him and handed it to the child, uncorking it as he did.

"A stomach soother, Harry, for going through the floo. Drink it quickly and then help me pack away all our things so we don't forget anything."

Harry gave a quick nod and drank down the potion Severus handed him. Once the entire vial was empty, Harry padded over to his bed and started to put away his things in a backpack Severus had placed on the bed for him while they were out in the hall ordering breakfast.

Severus smiled at the fast-moving boy and then set to work packing his own belongings, except for the small black kneazle toy that was still on his bed from last night. He held the toy in his arms until Harry looked back at him. As the boy approached with his small bag of things, Severus handed the stuffed toy to him and laid a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"Come on, Harry, time to go now. Don will stop by later to see how we're faring. Ok?"

Harry gave a small nod and allowed the older man to lead him down the hallway. After a few quick goodbyes to Don, the two went through the floo and back home.

Upon arriving in Severus's quarters, it only took a few minutes for Harry to recover from their journey. It seemed that with each trip through the floo, his body adjusted to the odd squeezing sensation. Not that he didn't stumble upon landing, causing Severus to catch him, but he was getting better at it.

As soon as Severus was confident that Harry was fine after the floo trip, he instructed him to go to his room, unpack his things, and make himself at home. He promised to join him shortly with the photo album so they could look over it together. Meanwhile, Severus had to contact Albus before he lost his nerve to ask for help with the adoption.

Before Severus made another move towards the floo, he watched as Harry retreated to his room. When he was certain the boy was inside safe and sound, he turned and threw the powder into the floo to call the Headmaster. In just a few seconds, Albus's face appeared before Severus as he peered through the floo into the man's office.

"Good morning, my boy! What do I owe this visit to? Is everything alright?"

As Albus asked his last question, his face took on a concerned look, prompting Severus to let out a small sigh. He really detested when Albus did this - being all cheerful one moment and then growing worried when you didn't answer quickly enough, not that he gave you much of a chance. The man could be rather annoying at times.

"Yes, everything is fine, Albus; I just have a question for you."

The old man's features softened upon hearing that both of his boys were fine. "What would you like me to do, my boy?"

Taking a deep breath, Severus continued, lowering his head in embarrassment. "Could you help me adopt Harry?"

Eyes sparkling with glee and mischief, Albus happily nodded. "I take it the trip to the clinic did you both some good then? May I step through, and you can fill me in on last night's happenings?"

Severus shook his head slightly. "I'm sorry, Albus, that will have to wait until later. Harry is expecting me and my photo album in his room. I don't want to make him wait."

Softly smiling, Albus gave a small nod. "I understand, my dear boy. I'll start with the paperwork, and I'll visit you two later. Call me if you need anything."

Severus nodded, and Albus's head disappeared from the fireplace. Standing up and brushing the ashes off his robes, Severus heaved a small sigh and grabbed the photo book he wanted to show Harry. Then, turning, he started walking towards Harry's room. He wasn't particularly looking forward to this conversation.

Knocking on the doorframe, Severus smiled when he saw Harry look up from finishing putting away his clothing. Folding one more shirt and placing it in the drawer, Harry closed it and walked over to sit down next to his guardian, who was now sitting on the bed. As the boy sat down, Severus pulled over the small kneazle plushy and placed it in the boy's lap, thinking that Harry might need that extra bit of comfort for this. He knew he would if the roles were reversed.

Smiling warmly at the child who had pressed his body close to his side, Severus gently ruffled Harry's messy mop of hair. It seemed that even the recent haircut had done little to tame its unruliness. Perhaps he could create a potion to help calm down Harry's hair – something to ponder later.

Pushing that thought aside, Severus placed the album where both of them could see it best, right in between them.

Gazing at the cover with a hint of sadness, Severus then looked over at Harry and began to explain the photo on the cover.

"This is me when I was thirteen. Your mother's parents practically took me in that summer. My father always liked to drink, but that year, my mother encouraged me to stay out of the house more. I'm assuming it was getting worse. It was one of the best summers I can remember, though. I was an Evans in all but name."

Severus opened the album and started to recount his life through the pictures. He had arranged the photos in chronological order for a reason.

"You see, this is when I turned fourteen. Your mother planned a surprise party for me. If you want, I'll share that Pensieve memory with you sometime. I think you would enjoy seeing that. Then this is from our fourth year. That year was hard for me. I spent the Christmas break at school, as I did every year, but I received a letter from my father on Christmas Eve – the only one I ever received from him. It was a letter informing me that my mother had passed. I knew she had been sick, but never to that extent."

Severus looked down at the small child and wrapped his arm around Harry's shoulder. In turn, the boy leaned more heavily into Severus, as if he was trying to offer more comfort than receive it. First smiling down at the boy, Severus took a deep breath and continued as calmly as he possibly could. This was not an easy subject for him; he really despised his past.

"I took her death hard. I stopped eating, and it seemed nothing Lily said or did would help me feel better. It got to the point where I finally collapsed in the hallway from hunger and exhaustion. That's when I met Don; Albus called him to help me get better. When Don was helping me heal from my grief, he heard about my home life and told Albus what had been happening. I had kept my mother's passing and everything else to myself for fear of being pitied. Ever since, I have lived with the Headmaster. He took me from my home and gave me something that I can never properly thank him for. I hope that's okay with you, Harry? Spending the holidays and summers with your Headmaster."

Severus looked down at the child who had leaned further into his side and rested his head on his chest. Slowly, the boy nodded.

"Don told me you lived with the Headmaster. He said that he was already preparing my room for Christmas break."

Smiling down at the boy, Severus nodded knowingly. That Healer always knew the right things to say at the right time. He had just wanted to make sure that Harry was comfortable with their arrangement. Sighing, Severus turned the page to some photos of when he was in his fifth year. This was what he had been dreading.

"This is me in my fifth year. I was very angry that year. The pain of losing my mother was still very fresh, and these bullies wouldn't leave me alone. About halfway through the year, those boys humiliated me in front of everyone. Lily... Lily tried to calm me down, but as I said, I was a very angry boy back then. I snapped at her in anger and called her a name, a horrible name, and she wouldn't accept my apology after I realized what I had done."

As much as he hated James Potter, he just couldn't tell his child what the man had done. Every child deserved to look up to their father as if they were a hero; he just didn't have it in his heart to ruin that image for Harry. As Severus looked down at the boy, waiting for the backlash, he gently began to rub Harry's back in a calming manner.

"What... what did you call her?" Harry asked inquisitively.

Severus paused for a moment and carefully drew the boy onto his lap. Gently, he wrapped both arms around the child and rested his chin on his head. He wanted to make the most of this before Harry became mad at him and pushed him away. He needed that moment to feel his child one last time. For he knew that as soon as this all came out, Harry would hate him and not want to be near him ever again.

Hesitantly Severus replied, "I called her a Mudblood."

Severus had to wait an agonizing moment before he received a small nod. "You... you tried to apologize?"

"I did, Harry. But you see, your mum was a very prideful woman, and it took her a long time to forgive someone. At the time, I didn't know that, and losing my only friend pushed me over the edge. She did eventually accept my apology, but that was years later, and it was actually you who made that possible. She put aside her grudge so that I could come and see you when you were born."

Severus pulled back a bit as Harry moved to look up into his face. "What... what do you mean by that?"

"Well, Harry, we all make mistakes in our lives. I, unfortunately, made the worst mistake one ever can. I joined the Death Eaters."

Harry stilled and looked at the man in shock and a little fear. "You're... you're a Death Eater?"

"That's complicated, Harry. For a while, I was with them. I left Albus's home and lived with Lucius Malfoy until I realized what we were doing. I was blinded with hurt, guilt, and grief. When I did see the whole picture, I came back to Albus, and he took me in again. I became a spy for the light and was no longer a follower of the dark. I am no longer a Death Eater, but I would understand if you'd rather not stay with me anymore. If you want, I can call Albus so you can speak with someone."

Harry pulled away for a moment and looked up at Severus. "Could... could I speak with the Headmaster?"

Severus heaved a small sigh. "Yes, Harry, I can go get him right now if you want."

Slowly, the boy nodded. "If... if you don't mind."

"No, Harry, I do not. Here, hold onto Shadow, and I'll bring the Headmaster in a minute."

Severus then picked Harry up by the armpits and placed him so that he was sitting on his own on the bed, hugging his small stuffed creature. The man moved to the door swiftly, wanting to get this over with. He had just lost his child because of his past. He had feared that this was going to happen, and now it was. How stupid of him for even thinking that Harry might accept him; he was a monster. He had done horrible things, unforgivable things. What child would want him as a father?

With a heavy heart, Severus walked to the floo and called Albus to ask him to come through. The Headmaster immediately did when he saw the distress written all over the man's face. The old man was concerned, and as soon as he came through the floo, he approached Severus, placed a gentle hand on the man's cheek, and gave him a worried look.

"What is it, Severus?" Albus asked concern sparkling in his eyes.

Severus leaned into the touch and closed his eyes for a moment. When he opened them, he started to tell Albus what he had told Harry and how Harry had reacted.

"Severus... Harry is processing all the information you shared with him. He needed to know, but understandably, he needs time to digest everything and talk to someone else. It's a good sign that he asked to speak with me; it shows that he wants answers and is seeking comfort. Just let me speak with him, Severus, and then you'll see everything will be alright."

Severus nodded, gratefully accepting the older man's guidance to the couch where he could sit down. Before Albus left to speak with Harry, he sat down beside Severus, offering a reassuring presence.

"Do you want me to call Don for you?" Albus asked with genuine concern.

"No, I will be okay. Just please speak with Harry. I can't bear the thought of losing him..." Severus replied, his voice strained with worry.

Albus rose from the couch and gave Severus a comforting pat on the shoulder. "You will not lose him," he assured him. With that, Albus approached Harry's door and gently knocked on the doorframe to get the boy's attention. When he saw the young wizard's nervous eyes look up at him, he heaved a small, silent sigh, entered the room, and gently guided the child onto his lap.

"You wanted to talk to me, child?" Albus asked softly, his eyes filled with warmth and understanding.

Slowly, Harry nodded. "Is... is what Daddy said true?" he asked hesitantly, his voice quivering with uncertainty.

Albus smiled at the name Harry had called Severus and gave a small nod. He hadn't been informed of this development yet. No wonder Severus couldn't bear to lose this child.

"Yes, Harry, everything he said is true. I'm sure he never mentioned how brave he was and still is when he spies, though. You know, Harry, your Daddy is one of the bravest men I know. I don't think I would be able to do what he does on a daily basis."

Harry slowly nodded, his eyes brimming with worry. "No... he didn't... Is he mad at me? … for asking to speak with you?"

Albus shook his head, gently rubbing the boy's back in a calming manner. "No, Harry. He's not mad at you. He was just concerned that you might not want to stay with him. Do you want to live with someone else?"

Harry vehemently shook his head, causing Albus to chuckle softly. "I'll take that as a no, then?"

"No, I don't want to go anywhere else... I just... I'm a little scared..." Harry admitted, his voice trembling.

"Why are you scared, Harry?" Albus inquired, his eyes filled with empathy.

"What if he gets hurt? What if I lose him too? I've lost everyone else... I just... I don't want to lose him too." Harry's voice cracked, and he buried his head into Albus's robes. Small sobs racked his fragile frame, and Albus could feel the weight of the boy's fears.

As gently as he could, Albus wrapped his arms around the child, holding him close while whispering comforting words into his ear.

"I promise, Harry, I will do everything in my power to ensure that won't happen. Shhh, calm down now; everything is going to be okay." Albus' soothing voice helped to steady the boy's breathing as he attempted to console the young wizard.

Just then, Severus entered the room, unable to keep away any longer when he heard the muffled sobs of his child. Spotting the child in Albus's arms, Severus shot the man a questioning glance, not really sure what was going on.

As the old wizard noticed Severus and his questioning glance, he gently rose from the bed with the boy in his arms and carefully handed Harry off to the man in black. Harry, smelling the familiar spices and feeling the heartbeat beneath his ear, relaxed slightly but still couldn't bear the thought of losing his daddy.

Still looking questioningly at Albus, Severus adjusted the child in his arms to have a better grip on the boy. He was somewhat surprised when Harry held on even tighter, as if he was afraid that Severus would leave at any moment. Smiling, Albus placed a calming hand on Severus's shoulder.

"Harry here was afraid he was going to lose you. Maybe it's time for you to quit your spying duties. You have paid your dues; it's time for you to have some happiness in your life."

Hugging the child a little closer, Severus gave a swift nod. He wanted to help the light as much as he could to atone for his past, but he knew if he was going to be there for Harry, he would have to help in other ways now. He could not put his life on the line anymore; someone depended on him.

"Shhh, Harry, it's okay. I'm right here, child, and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon."

Slowly but surely, Harry's cries diminished to just soft sniffles. While Harry had been calming down, Severus had retaken his seat on the bed so that he could accommodate Harry's weight accordingly. Pretty soon, he wouldn't be able to pick Harry up like that without the aid of a feather-light charm. Thankfully, it seemed that the nutrient potions were doing their job.

When the boy's tears had completely faded, Albus conjured up a warm washcloth and took over wiping away the tears and tear stains.

"See, Harry? Severus isn't going anywhere. He will be here for you whenever you need him."

Slowly, Harry nodded and let his Headmaster dry his tears. When the older wizard was finished, Severus re-situated Harry so that he was more sitting on his lap than laying in it.

"There's one more thing we need to talk about, Harry. We need to discuss Potions class."

Harry tensed at the new subject, but Severus quickly began to rub soothing circles on his back, and Albus placed his hand on the boy's shoulder, sending a touch of calming magic into him as a precaution.

"It's okay, Harry. I just want you to know that I'm, unfortunately, going to have to continue treating you the way I have for this past year. I am still Head of Slytherin House, and if I suddenly started treating you differently, it could put both our lives in danger. I can pretend that my interest has strayed from the Dark Lord, but if I start treating you kindly, people could become suspicious of our relationship, and I don't want you in any danger."

Harry nodded slightly, his expression somber. "Does that mean I can't tell anyone that you're going to adopt me?"

Severus let out a small sigh. "You can tell your friends, Harry, and the Weasleys will know as well as the staff here at Hogwarts, but you cannot tell anyone else. It could risk your life. I also want you to know and understand that anything I say in class that hurts your feelings does not reflect how I really feel. None of those words are real; it's just an act. Do you understand?"

Again, the child nodded and looked shyly over at Albus.

"Thank you, Headmaster, for...well..."

Patting Harry on the arm, Albus gave a small, warm smile. "It's nothing, Harry. I'm here for you whenever you need me, just like Don, Severus, and all the other teachers here at Hogwarts. Now, why don't I go finish up those adoption papers while you two finish that photo book? I believe there are happier photos of you in there."

Severus nodded and retrieved the photo book, placing it in front of both him and Harry. Albus took the silent cue to leave and gave the two a gentle smile as he exited the room.

Before Severus began to show more photos to Harry, though, he brushed the hair away from Harry's face and gazed down at him to make sure he really was alright. Once he was certain that the child had calmed, and had reassured himself that Harry truly did not want to leave him for who he was, he looked back down at the book.

Severus had been so worried that Harry would ask Albus if someone else could take him in, and had convinced himself in that short amount of time that it was probably for the best. As soon as he had heard the small sobs, though they were almost silent to anyone else, he had somehow developed a sixth sense for when Harry was hurting and had rushed to the room to see what the matter was. When Albus had told him why Harry was so upset, he was both shocked that Harry genuinely cared about him and deeply touched that his boy cared that much. His boy really did love him just as much as he loved his boy.

Turning to where they had left off, Severus showed the child pictures of his sixth and seventh years at Hogwarts, which were somewhat happy except for James and the other Marauders. Albus had taken him under his wing even more so than before and had helped him through the rough nights after meetings. It had been difficult at school, though. He was shunned by Lily, his one friend, and her family didn't want to see him again. She never told them that he was a Death Eater, just that he had done horrible things, and just like that, a family that had always loved him dropped him as if he were nothing. That had hurt more than anything. The Headmaster, Albus, had made things bearable, though, and had somehow made his life livable.

As Harry looked down at the photos, Severus held tightly onto the child, not wanting to lose him ever again. That had been too close of a call for him, even if he had misinterpreted why Harry had asked to see Albus.

Putting that all behind him for now, Severus turned to yet another page. These were pictures of Severus and Albus after the war when he had enjoyed somewhat of a peaceful life. For ten years, he had actually lived a life, and maybe with Harry in his life, he would get to live an even fuller one in the future. Maybe he could finally be truly happy.

The two continued with that photo album for another hour until they had looked at every single photo, even the few Albus had secretly placed in there of Harry when they weren't looking. When the book closed, Severus cast a small Tempus charm to see what time it was and was surprised to find that it was time for lunch.

"Are you hungry, son?"

Slowly, Harry gave a small nod. "Yes, Daddy. Could we eat in the Great Hall?"

"We can. Do you think you're ready for that? You know we can't sit together."

Snuggling back into Severus, Harry gave another nod. "I would like to see my friends."

"Okay then, Harry. Are you ready to go up then, or would you like a few moments?"

"Can we walk together?"

"I don't see why not. I can cast a 'Notice-Me-Not' spell, but we will have to enter the Great Hall separately."

Slowly, Harry gave a small nod and carefully slid off Severus's lap. The man helped the child up and then swiftly went over to Harry's closet, taking out one of the jumpers.

"You might get chilly, Harry, and I don't want you to catch a cold."

Harry accepted the sweater and put it on with a little help from Severus. Somehow, he managed to put his head halfway through a sleeve, causing a smile from Severus as he helped the child correct the article of clothing. Once it was all straightened out, Severus gently placed a hand on the child's back and guided him out of their rooms and into the hallway.

The walk was quiet, but it was a pleasant silence, not an awkward one. Before they reached the front doors to the Great Hall, though, Severus turned to Harry and gave him a soft but stern look.

"Remember to drink all your milk before you eat anything, and if you start to feel uncomfortable, just look up at me or call me with your pendant, and we will get you out of there as soon as possible. Okay?"

Harry looked up at his professor and nodded just as Minerva came around the corner, shaking her head and smiling.

"My, Severus, you sound like a mother hen already. Harry will be fine. Let the child go see his friends."

The boy looked hopefully up at Severus, and the man gave a slight nod. "Go on, Harry. I will be in in a few minutes. If you want, after lunch, we can head back down to our rooms, or you can go with your friends. Either way is fine with me; just remember to be back home before curfew and don't walk alone. Have a friend come with you."

Slowly, Harry nodded before he gave the man a quick hug. "I just want to have lunch with them, nothing more."

"Okay then, Harry. If you change your mind, though, let me know."

Tightening his hug for a moment, Harry nodded. He then let go and started to head to the front doors of the Great Hall. As soon as Severus saw the boy disappear, he turned to look at Minerva, sending a small glare her way.

"I resent that statement. I am not a mother hen; that title belongs to Mrs. Weasley and no one else."

Minerva smiled knowingly. "Sure, Severus. It's nice to see you so caring, though. I wish you would show this side more often."

"You know I cannot do that. I have a reputation to maintain; now, I believe a sufficient amount of time has passed, and we can enter without arousing suspicion."

The witch sighed but nodded. She knew that Severus was putting up his mask as they spoke but hated that the man had to do so. Before the man could enter the Great Hall, though, she placed a hand on his shoulder.

"May I ask you a question first?"

Rolling his eyes, Severus nodded and crossed his arms over his chest. "What now?"

"I never received word of Harry's sleeping arrangements. Will he be in the dorms or down in your rooms? I need to know for headcount."

"For now, he will be down with me. I'm hoping that he quickly starts to feel comfortable going back to his dorms, though, and visits on the weekends. I have to admit that when that time comes, I'm going to miss his presence."

Minerva removed her hand but not before giving his shoulder a gentle squeeze. "Come on then, let's go get something to eat. Albus has your potion up at the staff table."

Severus nodded, and they both entered the hall - one with a neutral look on her face and the other throwing his trademark scowl at the Gryffindor table, but noticeably none of those scowls were directed towards one small raven-haired boy.

When the two arrived at the head table, it was to a table full of smiles. Scowling, Severus turned to the Headmaster, who he knew had spilled the beans to the rest of the staff. It was quite obvious by the smiles that were being directed his way. Why the old meddling coot had to meddle in his affairs never ceased to annoy him. As he sat in his seat next to Albus, he continued to send glares the man's way, even when Albus gently placed his potion before his plate.

"Before you ask, the papers are going well. It's going to take longer than guardianship, but I would say this will take no longer than a week."

Severus nodded, his glare fading thanks to the subject. "Thank you, Albus."

The Headmaster gently placed a hand on Severus's, which was toying with his fork. "Drink your potion, Severus, and then serve yourself."

Severus did as the Headmaster told him to, and the rest of lunch passed smoothly. Harry was happily sitting with his friends, who were sending glares and hexes to anyone who came too close to their friend, and the rest of the staff, much to Severus's displeasure, were seeing the man in a new light. No longer was Severus the greasy bat of the dungeons but an ex-spy for the light.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3842