Going Home - Revisited by Swamygliders
Summary: REWRITE Harry has come back to Hogwarts for his second year and something is...off. Harry has tried as hard as he can to keep everything secret and hidden, but people who are watching him know something is wrong. Warning: Mentions of Abuse
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Sexual Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: No Word count: 256866 Read: 20556 Published: 18 Mar 2023 Updated: 01 Jan 2024
Visits by Swamygliders
Later that day, just as Harry and Severus were clearing their lunch plates, the crackle of the floo network reverberated through the room, causing Severus to groan in exasperation. Was it too much to ask for a few hours of peace and quiet with his child?

It seemed the universe deemed it so, as the familiar voice of Albus echoed from the living room. With a sigh bordering on theatrical, Severus pushed himself away from the table and prepared to deal with the unwelcome interruption.

Before leaving the dining area, he detoured towards Harry's bedroom, ensuring the boy was still resting peacefully. The sight of Harry, tucked in and curled in the blankets brought a fleeting moment of peace. He quietly shut the door behind him and cast a silencing charm to protect Harry's slumber.

There was a silver lining to the chaos of the past few days: with Severus' help, Harry had finally found reprieve from his nightmares. It was a small victory, but a significant one, one that Severus profoundly appreciated.

Stepping into the living room, Severus halted in the doorway, surprised by the sight of an unfamiliar, grandmotherly figure standing alongside Albus. She was tall and possessed an aura of kindness, emphasized by her short, curly hair and warm smile.

Approaching them, Severus inclined his head in greeting to Albus before turning his attention to the woman. "Apologies, we haven't met. I'm Severus. May I know your name?"

The woman scrutinized him, her eyes narrowing slightly. "So you're the Professor that gave Harry such a hard time last year. You oughta be ashamed of yourself."

Closing his eyes momentarily, Severus sighed, "You're Mrs. Landow then?"

She circled Severus, her gaze stern and her lips pursed. Stopping before him again, she placed her hands on her hips, a scowl etched onto her face. "So, do you have anything to say for yourself?"

"I've realized my mistake, and I am attempting to make amends," Severus responded evenly.

Mrs. Landow's harsh expression softened marginally, but her tone remained firm. "You better be doing a damn good job. You have no idea how much you hurt him last year. He believed every notion that his relatives were right because of you."

Albus intervened, placing a calming hand on her shoulder. "We've discussed this, Mrs. Landow. Severus is trying his hardest to rectify his actions."

Unperturbed, she rounded on Albus, her index finger jabbing the air. "Were you there when that boy broke down, spilling his heart because he couldn't fathom why his Professor despised him? I was there!"

Albus's voice remained calm. "I understand your frustration, but things have changed. Harry has support now."

Mrs. Landow closed her eyes, taking a deep breath. "I know," she admitted. Turning to Severus, her eyes softened. "It's hard when you can't protect a child you care about from suffering."

Severus responded with a slight nod. "I understand. Now, please sit. Would you like anything to eat or drink?"

Mrs. Landow shook her head, "No, thank you. But, where is Harry?"

Gesturing towards the couch, Severus guided her to a seat. "He's napping but should wake soon."

As he took a seat beside her, she digested the information, then voiced her query, "How is he doing?"

A small smile graced his lips as he replied, "He's adjusting, but he's doing well."

"Good. I know this is prying, but why are you the one taking care of him?" Mrs. Landow asked, her eyes scrutinizing Severus closely.

Letting out a sigh, Severus' gaze shifted away, a hint of nostalgia clouding his features. "To put a long story short, his mother was my best friend."

A chuckle escaped Mrs. Landow. "Some friend she must have been for how you treated him last year."

Albus interjected swiftly, casting a disapproving look towards the woman. "His father, to whom Harry bears a striking resemblance, was Severus' tormentor for seven long years."

A soft "Oh," escaped Mrs. Landow as she flushed slightly, her gaze softening as it met Severus'. "It must have been hard then to see Harry in your class every day."

Severus nodded slowly, his voice steady as he confessed, "It was until I realized that he really is nothing like his father."

His attention then drifted towards Harry's bedroom, and he rose from the couch. "Excuse me. I hear Harry stirring. I want to let him know we have guests before he emerges. I wouldn't want him jumping to conclusions."

Exchanging a knowing glance with Albus, who returned his nod, Severus made his way to Harry's room. Upon reaching the door, he canceled the silencing spell and gently pushed it open. A warm smile lit up his face upon seeing Harry sitting up sleepily in bed.

"Hi, sleepyhead," Severus murmured affectionately, his voice softened by the early morning light.

Roused from his sleep, Harry rubbed his eyes, his fingers feeling for his glasses on the nightstand. As he slipped them on, his bleary eyes came into focus on Severus, a hint of concern creasing his brow. "Hi, Daddy. Is there something wrong?"

Severus, leaning against the doorframe, shook his head as he strode over to sit on the edge of Harry's bed, the mattress dipping slightly under his weight. His eyes held a reassuring gleam. "No, child. I just wanted to let you know we have a guest."

At this revelation, Harry's expression turned apprehensive, his fingers nervously twisting the hem of his blanket. "Who is it? Are they here to take me away?"

Gently, Severus reached out, placing a comforting hand on Harry's small shoulder. His voice was a soothing balm, easing Harry's worries. "No, Harry, not at all. You might know her though... she goes by Mrs. Landow."

Recognition sparked in Harry's eyes, his mouth forming a surprised 'o'. "Mrs. Landow? At Hogwarts?"

Nodding affirmatively, Severus couldn't help but mirror Harry's surprise, a faint smile tugging at his lips. "Yes, indeed. I believe the Headmaster intended her visit as a surprise for you."

A smile bloomed on Harry's face as he jumped out of bed and scurried to the mirror. He straightened his shirt and smoothed out his pants, then turned back to Severus, his face unsure. "Do I look okay?"

Severus chuckled. "You're acting as if you're going out on a date, Harry."

A blush tinted Harry's cheeks as he murmured apologetically, "I'm sorry... it's... it's just that the last time she saw me... I... I looked really bad."

Standing up, Severus approached Harry, placing a hand on each of his shoulders. He looked at Harry seriously. "It doesn't matter what you wear on the outside, Harry. Only what's in your heart. And your heart will always shine through, showing what a wonderful young man you are. Now come on, I'm sure Mrs. Landow is anxious to see you."

With a soft "Ok, daddy, thank you," Harry leaned into Severus's chest. The man responded by wrapping his arms gently around the boy, bending slightly to rest his chin on Harry's head.

Hesitantly exhaling, Harry finally released his tight grip around Severus, his small hands pulling back from the fabric of Severus' robes. He tilted his head upwards, his emerald eyes wide and sincere. "Do I really look okay?"

A warm smile graced Severus' lips at Harry's innocent question. His hand came up, playfully ruffling the unruly mess of Harry's jet-black hair, much to the boy's chagrin. "Yes, you little scamp. You are going to be a handful when you start dating, aren't you?"

At this, Harry's cheeks flushed a deep crimson, and he made a futile attempt to smooth down his tousled hair, his small fingers working through the stubborn curls.

Sensing Harry's nervousness, Severus offered him a reassuring pat on the shoulder, his voice encouraging. "Come on then, Harry. Let's go and see her."

Summoning his courage, Harry gave a slight nod, his voice firm yet tinged with a thread of anxious excitement. "Ok, Daddy."

With a comforting arm around Harry's shoulders, Severus guided the boy out of the room. As they entered the living room and spotted Mrs. Landow, Harry's initial nervousness evaporated. He extricated himself from Severus' hold and sprinted towards the woman, his arms flung wide open.

Launching himself into Mrs. Landow's arms, Harry couldn't stifle the stray tears that trickled down his face. "You're here! You're really here!" he exclaimed.

Mrs. Landow widened her arms, welcoming Harry's hug with a tender smile. "Yes, I am here, Harry. Now let me take a good look at you."

Stepping back, Harry permitted the woman to assess him, a hint of anxiety in his eyes. "You're still too thin. Is he feeding you properly? And I'm not referring to the way your relatives used to."

"Yes, he is," Harry assured her. "He makes sure I eat enough at meals, and he even gives me a special potion to compensate for all the meals I missed."

The woman nodded skeptically, turning to narrow her eyes at Severus. "I hope he does." Her gaze then returned to Harry, examining him once more. "Well, you do seem healthier than you did this summer. Are you doing alright here? You know, you could stay with me if you wish."

Harry glanced at Severus before responding to Mrs. Landow, his voice firm. "I'm happy here, truly happy."

"That's good to hear, Harry. But you did promise to write to me once you arrived here. I understand you were busy, but do try not to make an old woman worry or miss Hedwig too much," she chided gently. Her smile reappeared as she continued, "You know, you could have told me you were a wizard. That would have explained a lot. I knew you didn't end up in a school for the criminally insane."

Harry's cheeks reddened at her words while Severus reacted with disbelief. "They told you went to what kind of school?"

His face flaming now, Harry mumbled, "They said I went to St. Brutus's Secure Centre for Incurably Criminal Boys."

"They what! If they weren't already in jail..." Severus began, his voice seething with anger.

Intervening, Albus rose from his seat and placed a calming hand on Severus' shoulder. "Calm down, Severus."

Clearly deflated, Severus issued a sincere apology. "I'm sorry. I should not have raised my voice. I apologize, Harry."

Harry, ever understanding, detached himself from Mrs. Landow and went over to Severus, wrapping his arms around the man. "I know you weren't yelling at me, daddy. It's okay."

Meeting the gaze of Mrs. Landow, who now wore a frown, Severus found himself reassessing his approach. Earning her approval wasn't going to be easy, he realized, and he couldn't really blame her. Harry had suffered immensely and trust would understandably be hard to come by.

Sighing, Severus gently disengaged Harry and knelt down to level with him. "I still shouldn't have raised my voice, Harry, even if I wasn't yelling at you. It wasn't right of me to react that way, no matter how upset I was by what your relatives did."

Nodded slightly, Harry pressed his face into Severus' robes once more. Severus simply sighed and held the child close.

Harry had been rather clingy since the social worker's visit earlier that day. While Severus didn't mind the newfound closeness, it sparked some concern. Don was supposed to visit later – maybe he could provide some insight.

Looking up at Mrs. Landow, he caught her smiling at him. Harry was indeed dismantling his stern reputation, but he found it a small price to pay for the boy's well-being.

Refocusing his attention on Harry, he ruffled his hair gently. "Harry, why don't you catch up with Mrs. Landow while I have a word with Albus? I'm sure she's eager to hear all about your experiences."

Harry looked up at Severus, his face lighting up with a smile. "Ok, daddy."

With youthful exuberance, Harry scampered back to Mrs. Landow and began chattering away like a typical twelve-year-old boy. Watching him, a smile found its way onto Severus' face - the sight of Harry behaving his age was indeed a rare and heartwarming one. Maybe Mrs. Landow's visits should be more frequent, he mused, or they could consider outings to her place. A thought to be explored later.

Signaling to Albus, Severus suggested they retire to another room to afford Harry and Mrs. Landow some privacy, and to have a private discussion of their own.

Once inside Severus' office, he quietly closed the door behind Albus. Gesturing for the older man to sit, Severus took the seat across from him. Dispensing with formalities, he dove straight into the heart of the matter, "The Horcruxes?"

A sigh escaped Albus as he rose from his seat, pacing the length of the room with his head bowed, hands clasped behind his back. Unable to bear the suspense any longer, Severus rose and approached Albus, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Tell me."

Albus paused, finally meeting Severus' gaze. "Well, there's a silver lining amidst the darkness. I located and questioned the person who was suspected to have valuable information. It appears we have one less Horcrux to worry about. Harry prevented him from creating his sixth."

Severus sank back into his seat, relief washing over him. "Then what has you pacing the room?"

Resuming his seat, Albus leaned back, his age evident in his weary features. "I had tracked down one of the Horcruxes and retrieved it from a cave with Minerva's assistance. But it turned out to be a decoy."

Severus looked up at Albus, who shook his head in disappointment. "So, five of them are still at large?"

Albus, who was seated across from Severus, nodded firmly, his gaze steady. "Yes. Later this week, Minerva and I plan to investigate Tom Riddle's grandparents' old manor where we suspect another Horcrux resides."

Listening intently, Severus responded, his head tilting slightly in acknowledgment. "How can I assist?" His tone was laced with a willingness to help, ready to offer whatever support he could to their cause.

A soft, paternal expression overcame Albus' face as he reached out, placing a comforting hand on Severus' knee. "You are already helping by being there for Harry. Let me handle the rest."

Severus held the old man's gaze, noting the signs of fatigue that lined Albus' features. Silently, he nodded, understanding the wisdom in the words, though a twinge of concern still lingered in his chest. He wanted to assist, to help lighten Albus' load, but he recognized the futility of his insistence against the resolute headmaster.

Changing the subject, he asked, "What about the mutt and the wolf?" His tone, laced with disdain, hinted at a lingering bitterness.

The sternness returned to Albus' expression, his eyes flashing a slight reprimand at Severus. "Severus, despite your past differences, could you please treat them with respect, for Harry's sake?"

In response, Severus offered an unapologetic shrug, his lips curling into a smug smirk. "Harry isn't here, is he?" His words, though playful, underlined his persistent resistance towards fully embracing Albus' plea.

With a resigned sigh, Albus conceded, knowing further discussion would be fruitless. "I've sent a letter to Remus and await his reply. The Ministry has initiated the process for Sirius Black's trial. He'll be interrogated under Veritaserum and hopefully vindicated."

Severus acknowledged this with a nod, then inquired, "And what about other matters?"

"Overall, students are doing well, save for a few who seem to be struggling," he began, resting his hands on the arms of his chair. "None from your house, of course."

Severus nodded, a ghost of a smile flickering across his face. "That's heartening," he replied. He then leaned forward slightly, studying Albus with a more serious gaze. "Do you need assistance with your headmaster duties? You've seemed unusually fatigued lately, Albus, and I know you're swamped with paperwork."

Meeting Severus' gaze, Albus blinked slowly before his eyes diverted away. He let out a sigh, running a hand through his beard. "True, the Ministry's paperwork is an increasing burden. But I wouldn't want to add to your load."

Unfazed, Severus continued, his tone even yet pointed, "You fell asleep in the Great Hall last night."

His statement was plain, but its impact was visible on Albus. The older man winced, a wave of exhaustion washing over his features. He sighed, closing his eyes momentarily. When he reopened them, a weary yet defiant smile graced his features.

"Only you would notice such a slip-up. I'm an old man, Severus, and occasionally, I doze off. I urge you not to concern yourself."

Unconvinced, Severus tilted his head slightly, fixing the headmaster with an intense look. His voice was low yet firm as he responded, "If you say so, Albus."

Privately, Severus resolved to send Don to check on Albus later. His mentor had a tendency to disregard his own wellbeing in pursuit of 'the greater good'.

Before Albus could offer further reassurances, a knock on the door interrupted their conversation. Rising from his chair, Severus made his way to the door, pulling it open to reveal Draco Malfoy and Arthur Weasley.

"Draco? Arthur?" he voiced his surprise, his eyebrows arching upwards.

Arthur, ever the gentleman, laid a reassuring hand on Draco's shoulder. The young Malfoy seemed to take an intense interest in the intricate patterns of the rug beneath his feet.

"Good day, Severus. May we enter?" Arthur requested, his tone steady and courteous.

"Certainly, come in," Severus responded, his surprise quickly replaced by professionalism as he stepped aside to allow them entrance.

Upon their entry, Arthur and Draco moved towards the couch Severus had just vacated, seating themselves. Severus, maintaining his stern countenance, took a seat next to Albus. Sensing the arrival of new visitors, Albus rose from his seat, excusing himself.

But before Albus could retreat, Severus sent a pointed look his way, his gaze sharp and meaningful. "Our conversation is far from over, Albus. Expect Don to pay you a visit later."

Rolling his eyes over his shoulder, Albus relented with a hint of a grin. "Very well, Severus. Good day, gentlemen. And Draco?" The Headmaster's eyes twinkled as they fell on the young Malfoy.

Draco, upon hearing his name, glanced up at Albus. The Headmaster offered him an encouraging smile, his voice gentle yet firm as he imparted his wisdom. "Remember, Hogwarts always assists those who ask for help."

The kind words brought a blush to Draco's cheeks; he was unaccustomed to receiving such care from adult figures outside of his mother and Severus. Feigning indifference to the boy's embarrassment, Albus bid them farewell and exited.

Once Albus had left the room, Severus wasted no time in redirecting his attention to the young Slytherin sitting before him. "How are you holding up, Draco?" He questioned, his voice notably softer than before.

Draco offered a shrug in response, his icy blue eyes lowered to his feet. Trying to piece together an explanation for the boy's behavior, Severus caught Arthur's eye, receiving a small, understanding nod from the elder Weasley.

"Why are you here, Draco?" Severus probed, tilting his head slightly.

With a slight nod, Draco admitted there was a purpose to his unexpected visit. As if understanding the silent communication, Arthur moved his hand to give Draco's shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"Go ahead, Draco. You're not alone," Arthur encouraged, his voice filled with empathy.

Drawing in a shaky breath, Draco mustered the courage to raise his eyes, meeting Arthur's warm gaze. "Would you and Potter join us for dinner this weekend?" he asked, his voice barely more than a whisper.

Caught off guard, Severus smiled at Draco, even as his eyes betrayed a whirl of emotions. At length, he composed himself and reached out to take Draco's hand.

"I'm honored, Draco, by your invitation to Harry and myself. Regrettably, unforeseen circumstances require Harry to be away next week. Once things stabilize, we would be delighted to join your new family for dinner."

Disappointment clouded Draco's face. His eyes shifted away, avoiding eye contact. "You don't like me anymore?" he asked, his voice barely more than a whisper.

Severus sighed, a heaviness settling on his shoulders. He reached over, squeezing Draco's hand gently in reassurance. "I will always care for you, Draco. This has nothing to do with that." He paused, looking for the right words. "What about having dinner next week?"

Draco slowly nodded his agreement, his expression softening just a bit. "Okay," he said, the corners of his mouth lifting slightly in a small smile.

Severus, relieved by Draco's response, felt his tension ease a little. "Would you like to spend some time with Harry now?" he asked, his tone filled with tentative hope.

Looking up shyly, the uncertainty evident in Draco's silver eyes. "May I? Would that be alright?" His voice was quiet, almost hesitant.

"That's perfectly fine, Draco," Severus replied, his voice strong and reassuring. "Harry is currently in the living room, conversing with an old Muggle friend. She's a kind, elderly woman who I think you'll find quite likable."

In response, Draco gave a small nod of understanding, his gaze shifting towards the door leading to the living room. His hand twitched slightly in Severus's grasp.

Rising from his chair, the old leather creaking beneath Severus. He gently tugged at Draco's hand, encouraging him to follow. "Let's go then, Draco," he said, his voice full of warmth. He led the younger man towards the living room.

Severus maintained a gentle hold on Draco's hand, offering comfort as they moved towards the living room, Arthur following closely behind.

Upon their arrival, Harry and Mrs. Landow glanced up from their conversation. Mrs. Landow regarded the newcomer curiously, while Harry appeared slightly anxious.

Holding on to Severus for reassurance, Draco approached Harry. A few silent moments passed before he mustered the courage to speak. When he did, his words tumbled out in a rush.

"I'm..."

Harry took a moment to decipher the jumbled utterance. Once he understood, he offered Draco a gentle, somewhat saddened smile, remembering the revelations from their time in the hospital wing.

"It's alright, Draco. I understand. But, call me Harry, please. I don't particularly like being referred to as 'Potter.'"

Draco seemed taken aback. "You're... you're accepting my apology just like that?"

Harry nodded. "I understand why you behaved the way you did, Draco. It's in the past now. I know you might not want to, but maybe we could be friends."

Holding on to Severus' hand, Draco looked at Harry, amazed by his capacity for forgiveness. If the roles were reversed, Draco knew he would have found it much harder to offer an apology.

"I... I would very much like that," Draco said, a glimmer of hope igniting in his eyes.

Harry extended his hand to Draco, flashing a friendly smile. His emerald eyes shone brightly in the dim lighting of the room. "Friends?" he asked.

Finally letting go of Severus's hand, Draco swallowed hard and reached out to grasp Harry's. His fingers were cold, but his grip was firm. "Friends," he agreed, a hint of warmth spreading across his face.

Severus watched the exchange with a quiet satisfaction, his gaze meeting Arthur's for a brief moment. He exchanged a subtle smile with the older man before turning to Mrs. Landow, who was observing with a warm, grandmotherly smile from her seat.

"Would it be alright if Draco joined you two for a while?" Severus asked, his tone respectful.

The elderly woman shook her head, her eyes twinkling with kindness. "Not at all," she said, indicating her approval.

Severus nodded in acknowledgment, then turned his attention back to Draco and Harry. "I'll be back shortly, boys. I need a word with Arthur." With that, he walked over to Arthur, the sound of his boots echoing softly against the wooden floor.

At this, Harry nodded, making space on the couch for Draco to sit beside him. Draco did so, albeit a tad reluctantly. He was still apprehensive around the unfamiliar woman and his former adversary.

Once he was settled, the adults made their move to return to Severus's office. However, before they could distance themselves, Draco called out for Arthur. Turning around with a concerned expression, Arthur regarded his new son.

Draco's gaze followed Severus and Arthur, his voice barely above a whisper as he asked, "You'll return for me, won't you?"

Arthur paused, turning back to look at Draco. His face softened into a comforting smile, the warm light reflecting off his round spectacles. "Of course. I could never leave without you," he promised, his words filled with sincerity.

At this assurance, Draco's tense shoulders relaxed. He returned the smile, albeit hesitantly, and gave a small nod of acknowledgment, the ghost of relief passing over his features.

When Arthur saw the nod, he turned back around and followed Severus back into his office. Upon entering the spacious, dimly lit room, he gently closed the door behind him, the soft click echoing in the silence. He settled in the chair across from Severus, his robes rustling softly.

"How is Draco really doing?" Severus inquired, his gaze fixed on Arthur, his voice betraying a touch of concern. His hands were clasped tightly in his lap, knuckles white.

Arthur let out a faint, sorrowful smile. His gaze fell to the floor for a moment, before he met Severus's gaze again. "He's hurting, but I believe he will recover in time," he replied, his voice steady yet filled with an undercurrent of concern.

"Could I request that you keep him at home for another week?" Severus proposed, leaning back in his chair. His fingers tapped on the armrest, indicating his anxiety.

Raising a curious eyebrow but nodded. Arthur crossed his arms over his chest, tilting his head slightly. "May I inquire as to why?" he asked, his gaze piercing, seeking a deeper understanding of Severus's request.

Drawing in a breath, Severus exhaled a soft sigh. "It appears we've underestimated Lucius's influence within the school. It would be best and safest if Draco stayed away for a bit longer."

Nodding tiredly in response, Arthur agreed. "That's no problem. I was planning to ask the Headmaster if Draco could stay home a bit longer anyway. He's healing, but he's still distressed over his mother abandoning him."

With a nod of understanding, Severus narrowed his gaze at Arthur, detecting a hint of something more in his words. "What do you mean?"

His gaze softened, Arthur sighed, his eyes taking on a distant look as he delved into a memory.

"A few nights ago, Ginny threw a small tantrum and smashed a dish on the floor. Draco, who was in the room, watched as Molly reprimanded Ginny with a few smacks to her bottom, then held her close as she cried. The next night, Draco mimicked Ginny's actions, smashing a dish and then looking at us, seemingly expecting the same reaction. The hurt and longing in his eyes were nearly unbearable. It was clear he yearned for reassurance that we still wanted him.

"I pulled him into a hug, and that's when he let his emotions flow. Deprived of affection, he had been unsure how to seek it and had copied what he'd observed, despite the potential repercussions.

"It's heartbreaking to see him like that. He's broken down a few times since that incident. All he seems to want is someone to hold him and reassure him that he's not alone. Molly and I are making an effort to offer him as many comforting embraces as we can each day. It seems to help somewhat."

Severus steepled his fingers under his chin, giving Arthur a thoughtful nod. "How does he interact with others, aside from yourself and Molly?"

Caught off guard by the question, Arthur blinked in surprise. "Are you referring to Ginny?" he queried, the corners of his eyes crinkling as he squinted slightly.

Offering a small nod in confirmation, Severus held his gaze steady and intense.

Arthur leaned back in his chair, a pensive look on his face. "He's a bit shy around her, but they get along well. I can only hope that when Ron comes home, Ginny can get him to see reason. If anyone can, it's her," he stated, a note of pride evident in his voice. He chuckled, adding, "She possesses a formidable Bat-Bogey Hex and isn't hesitant to use it."

At that, a hint of a smile played on Severus' lips. He chuckled quietly, his eyes sparkling with amusement. "Where might she have learned that?" he asked, his sarcasm thinly veiled.

Arthur grinned, crossing his arms over his chest. "Well, rumor has it she picked up the incantation when it was used on the Headmaster earlier this year," he revealed, his eyes twinkling with mischief.

With a snort of amusement, Severus shook his head. "Incredible that she overheard that. She must have been lurking in the shadows, as I was when Minerva directed that hex at him. I understand she was quite irate about Harry's living situation with the Dursleys."

Arthur' eyebrows shot up in surprise, a hint of a grin tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Minerva? Really?" he asked, leaning forward in his chair with obvious interest.

Resting his hands on the armrests of his chair, Severus gave an affirmative nod. "Yes, and it appears he couldn't find the counter-curse. Of course, she declined to lift it for an entire hour." He relayed the story with a gleam of amusement in his eyes.

Laughing at this, Arthur shook his head in mirth. He leaned back in his chair, a hand pressed to his chest as he chuckled. "I'll make a mental note never to cross her."

Severus echoed Arthur's sentiment with another snort of amusement, his stern expression giving way to a rare grin. "My feelings precisely," he said, tilting his head in agreement.

After a moment of shared laughter, Arthur's gaze shifted towards the closed door, curiosity evident in his eyes. "And Harry? You mentioned him taking a trip this week?" he asked, looking back at Severus.

Severus confirmed with a nod, his laughter subsiding. He straightened in his chair, his expression turning more serious. "Yes, that's right," he started, then proceeded to recount the story of how they had discovered distant relatives on Harry's father's side and Harry's impending visit to them. His hands moved subtly as he spoke, illustrating the details of the tale.

Arthur nodded in understanding. "And you wish to spend as much time as possible with him before he departs. I understand. Please do join us for dinner next week, though. Draco would be hurt if you didn't."

"I assure you, we will."

"Good. I should probably return home with Draco now. Molly gets anxious if I keep him out for too long."

As Arthur rose to leave, Severus placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. When Arthur turned to meet his gaze, he found a glint of gratitude in Severus's eyes.

"Thank you for taking Draco in. I would have, but I didn't want to deprive either one the attention they deserve. I know it's much better for him to have a circle of people who care for him."

Arthur offered a small smile in response. "And thank you, Severus, for taking in Harry. You're perfect for him, and I'm glad you discovered his pain."

Not knowing what more to say, Severus simply nodded and let Arthur return to collect Draco.

When Arthur was gone, Severus rose from his own chair and followed suit, reentering the living room. The sight of Harry, Draco, and Mrs. Landow engaged in animated conversation greeted him. Each wore wide smiles that lightened the room, and the atmosphere was undoubtedly warmer than when he had left.

Pleased to see Harry and Draco getting along, Severus allowed a smile of his own to emerge. His gaze softened as he addressed Draco. "I think it's time for you to go home, Draco," he said, his voice gentle.

The boy nodded, his eyes meeting Harry's. His smile didn't waver as he said, "We'll see each other soon, alright?" His tone was hopeful, a stark contrast to the somberness he had displayed earlier.

Harry gave a small nod in agreement, his green eyes glinting with warmth. "Soon," he promised, his voice steady and reassuring.

Draco then moved towards Arthur, allowing the man to drape his arm around his shoulder. "We'll take our leave now. Enjoy your weekend."

With that, Arthur and Draco made their way to the door and out into the hallway. Once they had departed, Mrs. Landow rose from her seat, turning to Severus. "I should really be going as well. My cat needs to be fed."

Severus offered a nod in response. "Did the Headmaster tell you how he planned to get you home?"

She reciprocated with a nod of her own. "Yes, he mentioned that I could use his office's floo and he would accompany me home. By the way, what is 'flooing'?"

A faint smile played on Severus's lips. "Do you recall how you arrived here?"

As she confirmed with a nod, he continued, "That is flooing. You simply toss some floo powder into the fire, then step in while clearly stating your destination."

Her nod followed, then she turned to Harry, planting an affectionate kiss on his forehead. "You behave yourself, okay? And remember, you can call me whenever you need."

Blushing from the unexpected kiss, Harry nodded, causing Severus to smile at his apparent embarrassment.

"Here, let me guide you. When you meet Albus, perhaps you could ask him to connect your fireplace to the floo network. I know a certain someone here who would love to see you more often."

As she nodded in agreement, he escorted her to the fireplace. "I'll definitely ask him."

Once they reached the fireplace and Severus had announced the destination, she discreetly turned to face him.

"Please, take good care of that child. You're the best thing that could have happened to him. He loves you dearly, and it's evident that you feel the same."

Severus gave a small nod, his tone earnest. "I will care for him for as long as I live. You have my word."

With that, she stepped into the fireplace and disappeared in a flurry of green flames.

No sooner had she left than Harry approached Severus, placing a hand on his arm. Looking down, Severus was met with a blushing Harry.

Severus looked down at Harry, noting the uncertainty in his eyes. "What is it, Harry?" he asked, his voice soft, concern evident in his words.

"Are you angry with me?" Harry asked in a small voice, his gaze dropping to the floor. He twisted his hands together nervously, his fingers white-knuckled.

A crease formed between Severus's brows, surprise flickering across his face. "No, child. Why would you think that?" he queried, his eyes never leaving Harry.

Harry shrugged his shoulders and shuffled his feet, not meeting Severus's gaze. The boy's reluctance to explain caused Severus to sigh inwardly. It was sometimes a laborious task to coax information out of Harry.

With a soft hand on the boy's shoulder, Severus guided him towards the couch. "Come, Harry, let's sit down. Then, we can talk," he said, his voice firm but gentle.

Harry nodded, allowing Severus to lead him to the couch. As he settled down, sinking into the soft cushions, Severus sat next to him, gently drawing Harry close to his side.

"Now, tell me, why do you believe I'm angry at you?" Severus asked, looking down at the boy next to him.

"You're sending me away to my cousins," Harry mumbled, his words barely audible.

Upon hearing this, Severus encircled the boy's shoulders, pulling him a little closer. "Oh, Harry, I'm not sending you away. If I had my way, I'd keep you here under my watchful eye forever," he assured, his voice filled with sincere concern.

Harry nodded, resting his head on Severus's chest. The confusion still lingered in his eyes as he asked, "Then why do I have to go?"

Sighing, Severus looked down at the boy nestled against him. "It's complicated, Harry. The Ministry believes these people, being related to you, would be better caregivers."

Harry raised his head, his bright green eyes meeting Severus's. The uncertainty hadn't entirely vanished, but there was a note of hope. "I don't think so, though. I just want to stay with you," he said, his voice barely above a whisper.

With a gentle hand, Severus ruffled Harry's messy hair, a loving gesture that seemed to soothe the boy slightly. His lips curled into a warm smile. "I know, scamp. But it will be good for you to meet more of your family, even if you don't wish to live with them," he said, his voice as comforting as he could make it.

Harry seemed to consider Severus's words before he sighed softly and returned his head to rest on Severus's chest. His voice muffled against the fabric of Severus's robes, he said, "I'm going to miss you."

Severus's heart twinged at the boy's words. "I know, Harry, and I'll miss you. But remember, we can still communicate through our journals," he reminded him, hoping to alleviate some of his worries.

Harry nodded against Severus's chest, his reply muffled by the fabric of his robes. "I love you, Daddy," he murmured.

A profound sense of affection washed over Severus. He tightened his arm around Harry, pulling him closer. "I love you too, son," he replied, his voice filled with warmth and unwavering love.

Later that night, Harry was jolted awake by a disconcerting dream. It wasn't a nightmare, per se, just one of those dreams that wake you abruptly, leaving you slightly unsettled. For several minutes, Harry lay motionless in his bed, aware that his father wouldn't be cross with him for waking him, yet hesitant to take the risk.

With a sigh, Harry made up his mind to venture out, craving the comforting presence of another soul. He cast off his covers, gently slipping from his bed, and padded across the cool floor to his bedroom door. Stepping outside his sanctuary, he carefully navigated to Severus's room, heart pounding as he turned the knob.

A sense of curiosity tinged his nervousness; he had never before ventured into his father's private quarters. He found himself wondering what it would look like and whether Severus would object to this apparent invasion of his privacy.

As he stepped inside, he surveyed the room with an inquisitive gaze. The décor was as comforting and unpretentious as the rest of the house, dominated by warm hues of tan. A cabinet that presumably held clothing stood against the far wall, while rich red curtains framed a window offering a serene view of the black lake. The centerpiece was a large bed where the Potions Master lay tucked under a multitude of covers, the image of tranquility.

Hesitantly, Harry bit his lower lip and called out, his voice barely audible in the enveloping silence. "Daddy?" His small, trembling hand pressed against the cool wooden doorframe.

Met with no response, he took a deep breath, swallowing the lump in his throat. He tried again, slightly louder this time. "Daddy?" His fingers drummed against the wood, nervously tracing its grain.

Receiving no reply, Harry crept closer to the bed, his heart hammering in his chest. His voice wavered a little. "Daddy?" He reached out hesitantly, his fingertips just brushing against the bed's quilted comforter.

Finally, a weary voice emerged from the bed. "Harry, child, is that you?" The figure under the blankets stirred, rustling the bed linen.

Harry instinctively nodded, his eyes wide in the dimly lit room. He quickly realized Severus couldn't see his gesture. "Yes, it's me, Daddy." He blinked hard, pushing away the threatening tears.

With an edge of concern in his voice, Severus sat up, squinting in the direction of Harry's voice. His hand reached out, patting around the bed in search for his child. "What's wrong, child?"

"I didn't want to be by myself." Harry admitted, scuffing his foot against the carpet.

Severus sighed, pulling back the covers and patting the empty space beside him. "Come here, Harry." His tone was soft, inviting.

Harry edged forward, stopping just beside the bed. He bit his lip again, his gaze flickering between Severus and the inviting space on the bed. "A...are you sure?"

"Yes, child, hop in." Severus confirmed, his voice patient and warm.

Carefully, Harry slid underneath the blankets, the bed dipping under his weight. Severus tucking him in and drawing him close, wrapping a protective arm around the boy. His hand smoothed down Harry's hair gently.

"Is something troubling you?" Severus' eyes studied the boy, his brow furrowing.

"I don't know. I had a weird dream, but I can't remember much of it." Harry confessed, his voice barely more than a whisper as he snuggled closer to his father.

Nestling into Severus's arms, Harry rested his head on his father's chest. His voice came out sleepy and soft as he relayed what fragments he could recall. "You were wearing a purple hat, and the Headmaster was smiling at you."

"That is indeed strange. Why don't you try to get some sleep now? Perhaps you'll have a better dream."

Harry nodded against Severus's chest, allowing the steady rhythm of his father's heartbeat to lull him into a peaceful slumber.

Watching the child drift off, Severus brushed back Harry's unruly hair, whispering, "That's it, child." He then leaned down to plant a gentle kiss on Harry's forehead, holding him just a bit closer.

Barely over a week had passed since Harry had come into his life, yet Severus couldn't fathom how he would cope with the boy's absence for an entire week. It was astonishing how quickly they had grown attached.

His mind wandered back to the earlier visit by Don, who had arrived shortly after dinner, finding them engaged in a book that Pam had gifted Harry.

Severus still held some resentment towards Pam, but he could see the sense in her actions. She was only trying to help them both. His penmanship indeed left much to be desired and could be more detrimental than beneficial to Harry's development. He loathed to admit it, but perhaps Pam's intervention wasn't entirely unwelcome.

Don had suggested assistance previously, and though Severus had initially brushed it aside, he now considered accepting it as a teachable moment for Harry: a lesson about the universality of needing help. Harry certainly needed more guidance in that area.

Shaking off his tangent, Severus remembered Don's physical check on Harry. The physician had removed Harry's arm sling, a relief for both parties. He'd also inspected Harry's writing hand for any further damage, finding a misaligned bone which was hindering his ability to write with a quill.

Though it wasn't life-threatening, they decided to postpone the corrective spells until Harry's return to school, affording him a few days' respite from writing. Despite being a relatively painless procedure, it would cause some discomfort, so they agreed it was best to give Harry time to recover.

Don had then offered Harry a brief therapy session in his room to address any emotional distress. He even mentioned discussing Harry's past with his relatives, which was why Don had sought Severus's assistance, knowing the child needed his comfort. Harry seemed to only want Severus to hold him at that moment.

After calming Harry, Severus had asked Don to check on Albus, then settled back onto the couch with a book, an activity which he'd discovered quickly soothed the boy, even more than a calming potion.

Severus's thoughts were interrupted by a soft snore. Laying back himself, he studied the small face nestled against his side, cherishing this moment of tranquility. The events of the day with Don had only confirmed their deepening bond. He silently vowed to do nothing that might break that trust or harm the boy. The mere thought was unbearable.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3842