Going Home - Revisited by Swamygliders
Summary: REWRITE Harry has come back to Hogwarts for his second year and something is...off. Harry has tried as hard as he can to keep everything secret and hidden, but people who are watching him know something is wrong. Warning: Mentions of Abuse
Categories: Parental Snape > Guardian Snape, Healer Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required)
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts, Snape is Kind, Snape is Loving
Genres: Family, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Emotional Abuse, Neglect, Sexual Abuse
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 32 Completed: No Word count: 256866 Read: 20564 Published: 18 Mar 2023 Updated: 01 Jan 2024
Reunited by Swamygliders
In the quiet intimacy of the sterile hospital room, precisely one hour later, a nurse gently drew back the privacy curtain that separated them from the rest of the world. She wore a warm, soothing smile, an oasis of calm in the turmoil of the ward. Her eyes fell upon the Healer, Don, who had kept a vigil by Harry's bed, his dedication to his young patient evident in the deep lines of concern etched on his face. This depth of compassion, once a norm, seemed to have been growing scarce among Healers of late. It was a refreshing contrast to the growing indifference she had been observing.

Approaching with light, soft steps, she bridged the distance between them. Extending a caring hand, she placed it gently on Don's shoulder, careful not to jar him from his reverie.

"We have an available room in the children's ward. If you prefer, we could move Harry there," she suggested, her tone barely above a whisper, careful not to disturb the sleeping child.

Don responded with a nod, his gaze still fixed on the slumbering boy with an expression etched with concern. "Thank you," he said softly. "Which room is it?"

"The first room as you enter the ward. If you like, I can guide you there and help settle Harry in."

What remained unsaid, veiled beneath her professional demeanor, was her desire to ensure that Don himself was holding up. The empathetic bond he formed with his patients was a double-edged sword, often leading him to take on their suffering as his own. She'd seen this before, when Don had been distraught over Severus's condition, blaming himself for not preventing Severus from attending the fateful meeting. The guilt had eaten him up, although realistically, there was little he could have done against the adamant Headmaster and a relentlessly stubborn Severus.

Turning his attention towards the nurse, Don gave a weary sigh. Recognizing her voice immediately, he said, "Pam sent you, didn't she? To check if I'm alright?"

Her smile was soft as she nodded. "She would have been here herself, but she thought it best to give you some space after... last night."

The first true smile of the day emerged on Don's face as he recalled Pam's hilarious fall on her bottom on the ice rink the previous night. In an attempt to help her up, she'd turned a remarkable shade of crimson and had made a hasty exit, leaving him chuckling behind her.

"She's too embarrassed to face me, but she's still worried, isn't she? Well, you can assure her I'm fine," Don declared, amusement twinkling in his eyes.

The nurse raised an eyebrow, skepticism painting her features. "Why would she be embarrassed?"

Don waved off the question, a smirk playing on his lips. "It's not my place to embarrass her further. If she wanted you to know, she would have told you. All I can say is, it involves our date at the ice skating rink last night."

Intrigued, she nodded, a small sparkle of curiosity lighting up her eyes. She resolved to coax the story out of Pam later. "Very well, let's transfer Harry to his new room. Maybe you can share more along the way?"

Don could have opted for a wheelchair or bed transfer, but carrying Harry was a personal decision. The physical connection to the boy, the warm and vulnerable weight of him in Don's arms, was a tangible reminder that Harry was still here, still alive. Besides, he knew Harry would crave any kind touch he could get after such a traumatic ordeal. The contact was not just for Harry's reassurance but for his own as well.

Ignoring the nurse's last remark, Don adjusted his hold on Harry, cradling him carefully. His expert hands cocooned the boy in the soft, woven blankets, making sure none of the chilly castle air could seep in and trouble Harry's peace. The boy was still unconscious, a wisp of raven hair fallen across his forehead. Yet even in this unconscious state, he seemed to instinctively seek the comfort of Don's warmth, his head nuzzling into the steady beat of Don's heart as though lulled by its comforting rhythm. The sight of the boy's implicit trust tugged a tender smile onto Don's face, the corners of his eyes crinkling warmly.

Don then shifted his grip on Harry subtly, securing the boy even more firmly against his chest. With a quiet whisper, he cast a featherlight spell, designed to alleviate the physical burden of carrying Harry through the corridors of Hogwarts. His tone was nonchalant as he addressed the nurse, "Yes, I've gathered all his belongings. They're still shrunken in my pocket." His hand pat the pocket lightly, feeling the minuscule lump that was Harry's belongings. "Amidst everything that's been happening, I almost forgot they were there."

Guided by her warm smile, Don followed her lead as they began their trek from the emergency ward. As he walked down the long corridor towards the staircase, his gaze was irresistibly drawn towards the serene face of the boy cradled against his chest. It was heartrending to see Harry's peaceful slumber after the traumatizing ordeal he had just survived.

Jolting himself back to the present, Don refocused on his path, reminding himself that it would do them no good if he were to trip, resulting in both of them sprawled on the cold hospital floor. Besides, the prospect of Severus's scowl wasn't particularly appealing.

As they approached the stairwell, Don shook off his foreboding thoughts. The nurse held the door open for him, and they ascended two flights to reach the children's ward. A short stroll later, they arrived at their destination.

Upon entering, Don scanned the room, taking in the single bed placed strategically by the window, the view opening to a serene garden, and an assortment of comfortable chairs scattered around. A sense of relief washed over him; Harry would certainly love this room. Carefully, he lowered the boy onto the bed, tucking him in under the covers. He folded the blankets from the other bed neatly, placing them on the bedside table. As he prepared to move away, Harry's hand shot out, clutching onto the front of Don's robes.

Despite Don's gentle attempts, the grip remained steadfast. So, he simply sat on the edge of the bed, allowing the child to hold onto him. "It's ok, Harry; I'm not leaving. I'm right here, little one," he assured softly.

Turning her attention to Don, the nurse softly inquired, "Is there anything I can do for you?"

Without turning, Don replied, "Could you inform anyone who comes looking for us in the emergency wing where we are?"

"Of course. Do you need me to fetch anyone for you? Pam? Or perhaps, Quin?"

"No, I'm fine, thank you."

With a final comforting squeeze on Don's shoulder, the nurse departed to summon Pam. Despite the man's apparent disinterest or Pam's possible embarrassment, the nurse was determined to bring her in. It was clear that Don, like many times before, was shouldering the blame for Harry's injuries. Such self-reproach was all too common in men, she mused, and Don was no exception. He could certainly benefit from heeding his own advice from time to time.

As the nurse stepped away, her soft footfalls echoing in the hushed corridor, Don moved his attention back to Harry. He tenderly overlaid both his hands on the small one that clung desperately to his robes, whispering words of reassurance, hoping they would reach Harry through the fog of his unconsciousness.

"You're okay, child. You're safe here," he murmured, his voice barely more than a soothing whisper.

With the gentlest of strokes, he rubbed the back of Harry's hand, a small gesture aimed at calming the boy's fear. Gradually, Harry's desperate grip slackened, allowing Don to lay the small hand back onto the soft bed linen. Don smiled at the boy, his eyes soft with affection, as he tugged the blanket higher, ensuring Harry wouldn't catch a chill.

"There we go, Harry. You are such a brave boy," he praised softly, his voice filled with warmth and admiration.

Time ticked away in a silent vigil, with Don perched on the edge of Harry's bed, his steady presence a guardian against the specters of the night. Twenty minutes later, a quiet knock echoed through the room, pulling Don's attention away from Harry. He glanced toward the door, and his face lit up with a welcoming smile at the sight of Pam. Gesturing her in, he silently expressed his gratitude for her arrival.

Pam settled into the chair beside Harry's bed, her gaze fixed on Don. "I heard you've been blaming yourself."

His hands still moving soothingly over Harry's, Don looked up at her, then let his gaze drop back to the child. "I left him there. How could I not blame myself?"

Her eyebrow shot up in challenge. "And just what were you supposed to do? Take him from the house with only a bad feeling as proof? You and I both know the Ministry would not have allowed that and would have placed Harry right back there."

"I should have checked sooner."

"Enough of this nonsense, Don. The blame doesn't lie with you. If you must, blame the Ministry and those pitiful excuses of human beings."

His response was only silence as he continued to stare at the boy on the bed, his thoughts whirling. Pam rose from her chair, moved to sit beside Don on the edge of the bed. She gently took Don's hand from Harry's and held it in her own.

"Look at me, Don," she implored, her voice full of a soft urgency.

The Healer's gaze met that of the woman he cherished, a raw emotion welling in his eyes. His usually sparkling gaze was now glassy with unshed tears, making Pam's heart clench with empathy. Slowly, she extended her hand, reaching across the small distance that separated them. Her fingers brushed his roughened cheek with a delicacy that belied the strength of her affection.

Her hand cupped his cheek tenderly, the coolness of her touch a soothing against the heat of his flushed skin. She traced the lines of his face, so familiar yet so vulnerable in this moment of emotional exposure. His eyes, always so steady and reassuring, now mirrored his inner turmoil, the pain he felt for Harry etched deeply within them. Yet, despite the tears, his gaze never wavered from hers, seeking and finding solace in the depths of her understanding eyes.

"Hey," she murmured softly, her voice a soothing, "this was not your doing."

Don responded with a voice that echoed the shattered fragments of his heart. "He was hurt... under my watch."

With that, Pam enveloped Don in a comforting tight hug. "Come here, darling. None of this was your fault," she reassured, her words filled with love and compassion.

Gradually, Don surrendered to the solace of Pam's embrace, his tense muscles relaxing under her rhythmic strokes along his back. "Are you ready to absolve yourself now?" she asked, her words light, but her gaze intense.

Don nodded faintly against the crook of Pam's neck, his rough sleeve surreptitiously catching the stray tears that had managed to escape. He inhaled deeply, a shaky breath that seemed to drain the guilt out of his body, before he broke away from their shared warmth. He locked eyes with Pam and managed a shaky grin.

"I... Thank you, Pam," he stuttered, his voice heavy with emotion. "I... I love you."

His admission ignited a joyful spark in Pam's eyes. She returned his smile, pulling him back into her loving arms. "I love you too, Don, and you can't begin to imagine how long I've been waiting to hear those words."

Time stood still as they revealed in the comfort of each other's arms. Eventually, Don drew away from the embrace, a soft smile dancing on his lips.

In response, Pam affectionately patted his hand, her gaze softening with concern. "Did you manage to eat anything today?"

Returning her warm smile, Don affirmed, "I have, but Harry hasn't yet. I thought it would be nice to have something with him when he wakes."

"That's a good idea," Pam agreed, her gaze drifting to the frail boy lying sleeping on the bed. "Is Severus coming to visit Harry?"

Slowly, Don shook his head, his gaze clouded with uncertainty. "Not at present, no. Madam Lark is at the Ministry doing everything in her power to secure permission for Severus to visit. Until we receive the green signal, his visit could endanger the adoption process."

Pam's eyes showed a flicker of concern. "When do you think Harry will regain consciousness?"

Don shrugged his shoulders, displaying his own uncertainty. "I can't be certain. The poor lad was worn out from the ordeal. The pain reliever induced sleep, and I think the tension of the situation exhausted him even more. I did administer a Dreamless Sleep potion not to long ago to ward off nightmares."

Pam nodded, understanding. "Why don't you take a break? I'll keep an eye on Harry."

Don reassured her with a soft smile, "It's fine, Pam. I'd rather stay with Harry. You should check on the patient I know you left unattended in your office."

Reluctantly, Pam rose to her feet. "Are you certain? I don't mind staying if you need me."

"No, I'll manage," Don confirmed, attempting to inject confidence in his voice.

Bending over, Pam lightly kissed the top of Don's head. "You're a noble man, Don. Remember, I'm just down the hall if you need anything, and promise me you won't spill the beans about me taking that tumble on the ice. Mary has been pestering me ever since you let slip something had happened."

Don's grin widened as he promised, "You have my word," knowing full well the gravity of his promise. If he dared to tell anyone, he was bound to be on the receiving end of a Bat Bogey hex from a furious witch.

Once Pam was satisfied that Don was alright and wouldn't share her embarrassing tale, she exited the room, leaving Don sitting on the edge of Harry's bed, his chest feeling significantly lighter.

After Pam's departure, Don rose from his spot and settled into the chair Pam had previously occupied, aware that his aching back would thank him later. He sat quietly, his vigilant gaze focused on the unconscious Harry. He was anticipating a visit from the social worker and Harry's awakening.

When a knock echoed in the room, he glanced up, only to be met with a surprise. At the doorway stood an unexpectedly subdued Moody, eyeing him cautiously. The initial shock soon faded, and he gestured for his old friend to join him.

Before entering, Moody raised a hand, halting someone who was about to accompany him. Don was intrigued about the identity of the other person, but decided to hold his curiosity, trusting Moody would reveal it in due time.

The seasoned Auror stepped in, his stride confident and purposeful. He grabbed a chair, dragging it closer to the bedside, his gaze alternating between Harry and Don. It was as if his magical eye was performing an impromptu inspection to ensure everything was in order.

"So," he began, his voice gravely and authoritative, "how's the lad doing?"

Don swiveled his gaze towards the seasoned Auror, a solemn nod following his gaze. "He's still in a deep slumber, but considering the trials he's been through, I reckon that's a blessing. His body desperately needs rest."

Moody reciprocated the nod. "Got some news. Whether it's good or not, that's for you to decide. Either way, it's a new development."

The Healer's brow quirked upwards, curiosity mirrored in his eyes. "I assumed as much, considering your unexpected visit. So, what's the news? Did they get what they deserved?"

With a fleeting glance at the door, Alastor shrugged, the faintest glint of reluctance in his eyes. "In a way, yes. But it's more convoluted than that."

"What do you mean?" Don demanded, his tone sharpening with each word. "They harmed Harry; they ought to be imprisoned for life!"

Perceiving the growing storm within the Healer, Moody took the unusual step of placing a comforting hand on Don's shoulder. Despite his gruff exterior, the veteran Auror knew better than to let the Healer's pent-up frustration explode, especially with Harry asleep nearby. The last thing he wanted was an angry Don on his hands - he had seen firsthand how formidable the Healer could be when provoked.

"Now, hold your horses," he implored, trying to keep his voice steady. "When I got to the house, I found two people incapacitated, just like you'd said. But they weren't who I was expecting. They were on our list of suspected Death Eaters. After a dose of Veritaserum, they confessed to everything. They arrived at the Ministry's cells a little more... battered than when I apprehended them."

Confusion clouded Don's eyes. "Are you implying Harry's cousins are Death Eaters?"

Moody shook his head emphatically. "No, no. Apologies if I gave you that impression. What I'm saying is, these Death Eaters used Polyjuice Potion to disguise themselves as Harry's relatives, and held the real couple captive in the basement, wandless."

Don slumped in his chair, his gaze fixated on the ceiling as he absorbed the revelation. "So, unknowingly, I left Harry with a couple of Death Eaters? How did this even transpire? How did they know Harry was slated to spend a week with them?"

Moody sighed, his gaze distant. "There was a leak in the Ministry. They found out that Harry was due to stay with his cousins for a week and decided it was the perfect opportunity to torment the 'Boy-Who-Lived' as payback for their Master's downfall."

Exhaling a resigned sigh, Don closed his eyes. "Who was responsible for the leak? Do Harry's real cousins still wish for him to stay with them for a week? I fear he'll be terrified at the sight of them, given the circumstances, even though they weren't the ones who hurt him."

Moody gestured towards the doorway, beckoning with his hand. "I can't answer that, Don. They're here to talk to you about it. They want to apologize to Harry and make amends. They feel terrible about what happened. As for the leak, all I'll say is he was blonde and has been apprehended."

Distractedly, Don acknowledged Moody's revelation as he watched two figures timidly make their way into the room - the couple he had erroneously believed were incapacitated earlier that day. As they took their seats on a couch Moody transfigured for them, Don wracked his brains to recall their names - he knew the man was Mark, but the woman's name eluded him.

Lines of worry etched deep into Mark's features, he began in a voice far softer than Don had expected, "Is Harry... alright?"

"I... believe he will recover," Don responded hesitantly, "but I don't think it would be wise for you to be here when he wakes."

Mark offered a sympathetic smile. "We understand. After everything, I wouldn't want to see us either. I can't fathom how anyone could inflict such cruelty upon a child. It's monstrous."

The woman chimed in, her voice gentle and apologetic, defying Don's expectations. "We understand your concerns about Harry staying with us. Clearly, now is not the time. Our intention was to get to know Harry better, not to hinder his adoption. Please inform, Severus... Snape, is it? He should be here with his son. In fact, we insist he stays by Harry's side."

The Healer sighed in relief, while Moody gave him a rough pat on the back, returning to his characteristic gruffness. "See, it's all fine. Now, quit your fretting, lad, or you'll give me a heart attack with all this second-hand worrying."

Alastor's jest earned him a reproving glance from Don. "I am not a worrywart."

The Auror chuckled, his tone teasing, "Sure, lad, sure you're not."

Rerouting his attention from Moody to the couple, Don sighed softly, "I apologize, amidst everything I neglected to introduce myself properly."

Mark extended a hand, returning Don's smile. "There's no need. I'm Mark Diaz and this is my wife, Maria."

"I am Healer Don Patterson," he responded, taking Mark's hand in a firm grip. "I meant to ask earlier but... were either of you injured by the Death Eaters?"

Maria's smile was a beacon of warmth, alleviating some of Don's unease. "We're alright. The Aurors brought a healer who tended to our minor cuts and bruises."

Suddenly, a small moan wafted from Harry's bed. Moody, keenly attuned to the young boy's distress, swiftly cast an invisibility spell over the couple to prevent Harry from seeing them. Don quickly rose, crossing the room to sit at Harry's bedside. He tenderly held the boy's hand, coaxing, "Harry, are you awake?"

Pulling his knees to his chest, Harry turned his back to the room. Don's heart twinged as he rested a hand on Harry's back, the boy flinching away at the touch. "Harry, can you talk to me?" he implored.

Heartbreaking sobs echoed throughout the room. "I...I want my daddy!"

Don's hand remained steady on the boy's trembling back. Swiveling towards Moody, he shot the Auror a pleading look which was instantly understood. "Ok, Harry. Alastor is fetching your father. Everything will be alright."

"N...no it won't!" Harry protested, his voice muffled by the stuffed cat he clung to.

Sighing, Don gently rubbed Harry's back trying to calm the distressed boy. "Yes, it will, Harry. I promise you."

Harry rolled over and reached for Don. The healer took the hint and helped Harry sit up in the bed and pulled him into a tight hug with the stuffed cat squished between them.

In a stark contrast to his earlier withdrawal, Harry clung to Don. The Healer was all too aware of how fragile Harry had been even before these recent traumas, and this latest incident seemed to have pushed him over the edge. Harry had not fully healed from his past experiences, and now his path to recovery seemed even longer.

Harry's crying was interrupted by the swift arrival of Severus. As soon as Harry spotted him, he launched from Don's arms, dropping the cocoon of blankets to wrap himself around Severus.

"Daddy!"

"Oh, Harry. I'm here now, I'm here," Severus murmured, holding his son close. He gently kissed the top of Harry's head, offering a silent vow of protection.

Don rose from the side of the bed, signaling for Severus to sit with Harry. The pair clung to each other in a heartbreaking embrace. Severus's hand traced soothing circles on Harry's back, whispering words meant only for the young boy.

Deciding to give them some space, Don excused himself. As he moved out of the room, Severus's low murmuring followed him, promising Harry that everything would be alright. The Healer couldn't help but hope that both he and Severus were alright.

Moody lifted the invisibility spell from the Diaz couple as Don stepped into the hallway. The Auror's eyes held a rare display of concern, which touched the Healer. He was moved by the man's compassion for a child he'd barely met.

"Will the lad really be alright?" Moody asked, a hint of worry breaking through his gruff exterior.

Don nodded reassuringly, subtly gesturing towards the room where Severus had materialized a warm washcloth, delicately wiping away Harry's tears. The boy nestled against Severus, his small head finding a comfortable spot on the man's shoulder.

A rare smile played across Moody's stern face, and he shared a knowing nod with Don. The real Diaz's, watched from the doorway, their expressions softening at the sight. This intimate moment solidified their decision to entrust Harry's care to Severus. Initial apprehension regarding the former Death Eater's involvement was now replaced with firm belief, thanks to a compelling photo album Moody had procured from Don's office.

After soaking in the scene, Mark finally broke the silence, turning to Don. "We should take our leave. We intend to petition the Ministry to expedite the adoption. Their bond is apparent and we hope the wishes of Harry's remaining blood relatives will be taken into consideration. We do hope that in the future we are able to meet Harry and get to know him, but we understand that day is far away."

Don nodded, appreciating their dedication. "Thank you. But before you leave, may I suggest a quick health examination? It's vital to ensure there are no latent effects from any curse that may have been inflicted."

Mark was poised to object, but Maria placed a gentle hand on his arm, silencing him with a soft nod. "He's right, dear. We can't risk unforeseen health complications."

Defeated, Mark nodded in agreement. "Alright then."

"Excellent, let's locate an available room."

However, Maria intervened once more. "Are they going to be alright on their own? I understand Harry will be safe with Severus, but this must be an emotional roller coaster for Severus too."

Don, smiling understanding her concern, replied, "At this time, I believe they would appreciate some privacy."

With no further protest, the group set off downstairs to the receptionist to arrange for a room.

Back in the comforting solitude of the room, Severus had moved to lay on the bed with Harry in his arms lulling Harry into calmness with soft, reassuring words and a soothing back rub. As Harry clutched his father tightly, holding his stuffed cat close, he managed to speak. "I missed you so much, Daddy."

Severus pressed a tender kiss to the boy's forehead. "I missed you too, Harry. More than words can express."

"I...I'm sorry."

Confused, Severus pulled back slightly. "Sorry? For what, Harry?"

Fidgeting with his shirt, Harry kept his eyes downcast. "I...I was bad...and dirty."

Baffled, Severus asked, "What are you talking about, Harry?"

Unable to meet his father's gaze, Harry buried his face into Severus's robes. "I...I wet the bed and ruined their sheets. I am such a disgusting little freak; I don't deserve to be loved by anyone!"

Gently, Severus pulled Harry back to face him, brushing away fresh tears from the boy's flushed cheeks. "Nonsense, Harry. You are more than deserving of love, and you are certainly not a 'freak'. We've discussed this before. I will love you, no matter what. Did they harm you because you wet the bed?"

A meek nod confirmed Severus's worst fears. Harry tried to hide his face once more, but Severus held him back, maintaining eye contact. His heart ached as he noticed traces of fear still etched across Harry's small face.

"They were wrong, Harry," Severus reassured, his voice holding a solemnity that was rarely heard. "Wetting the bed is a normal occurrence for many children, it's not disgusting. As for the sheets, they could have been easily laundered – they weren't ruined. They had no right to treat you so harshly."

Tears welled up in Harry's wide, confused eyes again as he stuttered, "T-t-then why?"

"Because they were cruel individuals, Harry," Severus explained gently. "But they are in jail now, right where they belong."

"Really?"

"Indeed, Harry," Severus confirmed. He paused, realizing he needed to reveal the truth. "There is something you must know. An Auror named Alastor Moody visited their home intending to arrest your cousins, only to find they were impostors. Your real cousins were imprisoned in the basement."

Harry's head sunk into Severus's shoulder as the weight of the revelation hit him. "S...so you mean...my cousins...didn't hurt me?"

Cradling the back of Harry's head in his hand, Severus responded gently. "No, Harry. Your real cousins were also victims, locked up while those monsters assumed their identities."

Overcome by relief and exhaustion, Harry shuddered, his eyes flickering closed. "Do...do I have to go back?"

Fear flickered across his face at the thought of returning to that house. Though he now understood that the abusers were impostors, the memories were still vivid, still terrifying.

Wrapping Harry even tighter in his arms, Severus shook his head. "I don't believe so. Your real relatives called for me, so I could be here with you."

Feeling the tension leave the boy's body, Severus felt a warmth spread through him as Harry drifted towards sleep. Yet, he needed one more answer before Harry succumbed to his weariness.

"Why didn't you tell me what was happening, Harry, or call for Don to help you?" Severus asked, a hint of hurt underlying his question.

Harry shook his head slowly. "Didn't want to be a burden and...and I was ashamed it was happening again...I deserved it though..."

As sleep finally claimed him, Severus sighed, gazing down at the slumbering boy in his arms. The task at hand was clear: convincing Harry that he was never a burden, and most importantly, that he did not deserve the harm that had befallen him.

After a few moments, Severus adjusted Harry in his arms to a more comfortable position as he adjusted some of the pillows behind them. Despite his usual reluctance to show vulnerability, he couldn't deny the soothing rhythm of Harry's breathing. Gradually, his eyes closed and within minutes, he too succumbed to sleep, securely holding his precious charge.

Outside the room, Madam Lark watched over them, a tender smile gracing her lips. Entering the room quietly, she retrieved an extra blanket from the bedside table and gently draped it over the slumbering pair. Pulling up a chair, she sat next to them and pulled out several forms from her robe pocket – the final adoption papers that needed to be signed to legally make them father and son.

Her gaze rested on the pair, a sigh escaping her lips. Her fondness for Severus Snape had deepened over time, more than she had expected. Yet, her role as Harry's social worker prohibited any personal involvement. To avoid complications and potential harm to Harry's adoption process, her professional and personal lives had to remain separate. Even though Severus would soon become Harry's legal father, her affections for him could jeopardize their future. It was the harsh reality of her job – it was fraught with painful decisions and sacrifices.

Her musings were interrupted by a gentle voice at the doorway. "How are my boys doing?" It was Albus Dumbledore, the twinkle in his eyes never failing to brighten the room.

Upon seeing him, Madam Lark gestured towards the sleeping pair and invited him to sit. His observant eyes quickly picked up on her melancholy.

"I recognize that look, Madam Lark. You've grown quite fond of him, haven't you? Perhaps even more than fondness?" Albus asked, his voice filled with understanding.

Madam Lark nodded, her gaze resting on the sleeping Severus. "Yes, but it can never be."

Comprehension filled Dumbledore's eyes. "Because of your profession and Harry."

It was a situation she wished could be different, but reality was often unkind.

"Yes, the potential threat to their relationship is a price I'm unwilling to pay. I couldn't bear the burden if they were separated due to my involvement. They belong together - Harry means more to Severus than anyone else ever could."

Albus gave a nod of understanding, his wise eyes brimming with empathy. Reaching over, he gently squeezed her hand, offering what comfort he could. "I know this isn't easy, Madam Lark. But it is the right decision. Life isn't always fair, unfortunately."

"I'm aware," she replied, a somber nod accompanying her words. "From the beginning, I had reservations. Do you think Severus will cope? I worry that I may have sent mixed signals."

"He'll manage," Albus assured her with another nod. "Severus is a resilient man, he'll understand."

Rising from her chair, she gave Albus a small, tight smile. "I should be going then. The remaining paperwork is on the table. Once signed, the papers will be magically transported to the Ministry, finalizing the adoption process. I shouldn't reveal this, but I'll be making an unannounced visit in a fortnight to ensure everything is in order."

"Your assistance is greatly appreciated, Madam Lark. Please, don't be a stranger. Stop by occasionally, or send a fire call."

She had started moving towards the door but paused at Albus's words, turning back to regard him with a small smile. "I will." With a final nod, she exited the room, quietly closing the door behind her.

Albus took the seat she had vacated, drawing closer to his wards. His hand rested gently on Harry's arm, protruding from the blanket. The flinch from Harry was more intense than he had expected. Undeterred, Albus continued to soothe the boy, tracing calming circles on his arm.

"Shhh, it's alright, dear child," he murmured softly.

Harry calmed down, nestling his face deeper into Severus's robes. Satisfied, Albus withdrew his hand and rose, moving to where Don had stored Harry's bags. He carefully extracted a stuffed lion and returned to the chair, placing the toy next to Harry who, after a moment's hesitation, hugged it close. He then tenderly kissed both Severus and Harry's foreheads before departing to continue preparations.

One of the reasons he had taken a while to visit Harry and Severus was his pursuit of a substitute teacher. All of them needed a break from their academic duties to recover and heal. He was headed to a store to purchase toys and other items to furnish Harry's new room at Dumbledore Manor.

He had decided that both Severus and Harry would spend the rest of the term recuperating at home. Pam, had readily agreed to help Harry keep up with his studies during this time.

As Albus exited the room, he cast one last affectionate glance at the slumbering pair before shutting the door quietly behind him.

When Severus awoke, his muscles ached from the uncomfortable sleeping position and a soft whimper from Harry echoed in his chest. Cursing himself for falling asleep in such a way, he groaned and shifted his gaze downwards to the boy nestling into him.

Gently extricating one of his arms that had become numb from its position underneath Harry, he started to draw comforting circles on the boy's back, seeking to cese the nightmare Harry was apparently trapped in. The deep ache in his body was a minor concern compared to the well-being of the child resting against him.

The moment his hand met Harry's back, the boy tensed up, his body rigid as he flinched away from the contact. A sigh escaped Severus, but he left his hand in place, acknowledging the boy's reaction without succumbing to the urge to pull away. He knew from experience that persistence would eventually break through the boy's fear of human touch. After several minutes of his gentle ministrations, Harry's tension subsided, his whimpers softened to quiet snores.

Relief washed over Severus as he carefully disentangled his other hand from beneath Harry, shaking it to relieve the pins and needles sensation. Now that feeling had returned to both hands, he gingerly lifted Harry, cradling him close to his chest as he rose on unsteady legs. He needed to move, to restore circulation to his stiff limbs.

On shaky legs, Severus turned back to the bed, gingerly laying Harry down amidst the two stuffed animals. Retrieving the fallen blankets from the floor, he cast a small warming charm over them before tucking the boy in. Ensuring Harry was cozy and comfortable, he turned his attention to himself, attempting to work out the kinks and stiffness from his muscles.

After pacing back and forth across the room, Severus finally felt the discomfort lessen. His legs were no longer jelly-like, and his aches had dulled to manageable levels.

Once satisfied with his regained mobility, he took his normal seat in the chair beside Harry's bed. A more comfortable version of the chair, he thought, might find a place in Harry's new room. For all the time he spent in chairs next to Harry's hospital beds it seemed appropriate.

His eyes landed on the paperwork the social worker had left behind. A smile graced his lips as he skimmed through the documents. Just a signature from him and Harry, and the boy would officially be his. The impulse to wake Harry and sign the papers immediately tugged at him, but he held back, knowing it was important for Harry to rest.

Back at Hogwarts, he'd ensure Harry followed a strict rest schedule, with a nap in the afternoon and an early bedtime. All of this was contingent on whether Harry was ready to return to school, a question that weighed heavily on Severus's mind.

His thoughts were interrupted by a throat being cleared beside him. Turning, he found Albus standing there, his eyes filled with concern, accompanied by Don who wore a similar expression. Apparently, he had been so engrossed in his thoughts that he hadn't noticed their arrival.

Albus's hand rested on Severus's arm, a gentle touch that anchored him back to the present. "How are you, Severus? Are you holding up alright?"

Severus nodded, looking down at Harry to mask his embarrassment. "I'm fine, just...thinking. Do you suppose it would be wise to temporarily withdraw Harry from his classes? Perhaps we could return to the Manor where I could ensure his wellbeing."

Albus smiled, patting Severus's arm. "That has already been arranged, Severus. I've secured a substitute until the start of the next term, and have even begun arranging Harry's room. Pam will also assist with Harry's studies to ensure he doesn't fall behind."

A small smile tugged at Severus's lips as he glanced at Albus, a man he had grown to see as a father figure. "Sometimes, Albus, you terrify me with your foresight."

The older wizard chuckled, his eyes twinkling with mirth. "I'm aware, my dear boy. But I also know you appreciate the efforts I take to preempt your needs."

Severus rolled his eyes, turning his gaze back to Harry. "When do you think Harry will be cleared to go home?"

Don offered a gentle smile, his face tinged with sadness. "Once Harry wakes, I want to perform a final mental status check. If everything appears to be in order, then you can take him home."

Confusion clouded Severus' eyes as he looked at the Healer in consternation. "What are you implying about his mental status? I fully understand he'll be in some pain for while, but are you suggesting there may be additional complications?" His sharp, clipped words echoed in the room, bouncing off the stone walls of the ancient Hogwarts castle.

Don responded with a shrug of his broad shoulders, his face lined with concern. "That's precisely what I'm uncertain about, Severus. That's why I need to examine him further," he confessed. "The Death Eaters, under the effects of a truth serum, divulged everything they did to Harry. It's crucial we ensure there's no lasting harm."

As Don explained, Severus fixed an intent gaze on him, one dark eyebrow arching in a silent question. The word "effects?" slipped from his lips, a single, potent inquiry encapsulating the depth of his dread.

Don sighed deeply, rubbing a weary hand over his face before dropping the heavy revelation. "The Death Eater, the one impersonating Mark, used the Cruciatus curse on him. Not just once, but three times."

Murderous rage ignited in Severus' eyes but, quick to act, Don gently laid a calming hand on his tense arm, channeling a wave of soothing magic into him. It would be disastrous if Severus lost control of his emotions here, especially if his outburst woke the sleeping Harry from his rest.

"Calm down, Severus," he murmured.

Severus inhaled a shaky breath, his long eyelashes brushing against his pale cheeks as he closed his eyes, seeking inner calm. "Where are they?" he growled menacingly, his clenched fists trembling. "I'll kill them!"

Don countered Severus's erupting fury with an even more potent wave of calming magic. "No, Severus, you will not. The perpetrator has already been handed over to the Dementors to receive the Dementor's Kiss. You're aware that using an Unforgivable on a child is a crime punishable by a fate worse than death."

Defeated, Severus slumped into his chair, his tense posture collapsing as he buried his face in his hands, his mind echoing with horrifying visions of Harry's torment. "How could this have happened?"

Albus took a moment to compose himself, then placed a comforting hand on Severus's stooped shoulders. "Lucius is at the root of this, it appears. He hatched this plot after overhearing a rumor from Children's Services. He was trying to reclaim his son, but stumbled upon this instead. Moody kept him imprisoned as long as possible, but the man's political connections led to his release not thirty minutes ago. And before you succumb to your anger and threaten to kill him, remember Harry needs you."

Tears brimmed in Severus' eyes as he glanced up at Albus. After blinking them away, he turned his gaze back to the slumbering boy. "You're right, thank you, Albus." He paused, then added, "Speaking of Lucius, how is Draco doing?"

A faint smile crossed Albus' face at the mention of Draco. "He's adjusting quite well. In fact, Arthur has already had to reprimand him for reckless broom play. He scared the poor man half to death. Oddly, the incident seems to have brought them closer."

Severus nodded, his gaze softening as he looked at Harry. "I'm glad Draco found a loving family. It's just what he needed."

Albus smiled warmly at Severus, appreciating his sentiment. "And it was you who made it possible, Severus," he praised, knowing that Severus was too humble to take credit.

A flush crept up Severus' neck as he glanced at Harry again. After a moment, he looked back up at Albus. "You mentioned everything is ready at home for Harry?"

"Yes, it is," Albus affirmed, nodding. "I've even charmed his bedroom ceiling to reflect the time of day, a radiant sky during daylight and a twinkling starlit canopy at night."

Severus' lips twitched in a small smile of gratitude. "Thank you."

"Not a problem, Severus," Albus replied. "Oh, and I have something here for Harry." He reached into the deep pockets of his robes and extracted something soft and black. On closer inspection, Severus noticed the tiny ball of fluff twitch slightly. "Harry might find comfort in a furry little companion, considering his fondness for soft toys."

Severus watched as Albus gently placed the Kneazle kitten at the foot of Harry's bed. Almost immediately, the tiny creature made its way onto Harry's chest and curled up into a comfortable ball. As it settled, Harry extended a hand to rest on the purring kitten.

A warm smile spread across Severus' face. "They'll make a good pair, indeed."

Albus returned the smile, nodding. "Yes, they certainly will."
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3842