Lost Records by Swamygliders
Summary: Due to a mishap with his medical records, Harry is reluctantly compelled to visit the hospital wing for a physical examination. Intent on avoiding the appointment, he tries to "forget." However, his final professor of the day, who was informed of the situation, is tasked with escorting Harry to the hospital wing, leaving him with no choice but to face his fate.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), McGonagall
Snape Flavour: Snape Comforts
Genres: Fluff, Hurt/Comfort
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery
Takes Place: 2nd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 8213 Read: 1798 Published: 18 Jun 2023 Updated: 18 Jun 2023
Story Notes:
Hello! A little fluff piece that has been rattling around in my head. Hope you enjoy!

1. Chapter 1 by Swamygliders

Chapter 1 by Swamygliders
The morning sun washed over Hogwarts, its soft glow illuminating the enchanting castle walls with a warmth that seemed to bring the ancient stone to life. The sunlight played across the polished brass of the candelabras and meandered through the intricate stained glass windows, transforming the sunlight into a spectrum of colors scattered across the floor. The air pulsed with the anticipation of the new academic year, giving life to animated chatter, sporadic laughter, and the occasional detonation of a wayward spell.

In the heart of this vibrant scene was the Great Hall, an architectural marvel shadowed by its own myths and legends. In the throng of the buzzing student body, Harry Potter was nestled between his friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Despite the tantalizing breakfast array before him, he found his appetite to be curiously absent. With the start of his second year at Hogwarts, both the thrill and apprehension of the unknown filled his thoughts. The reality of another year within these hallowed halls was simultaneously a daunting and exhilarating prospect.

His reverie was interrupted by the firm stride of Professor McGonagall, the Deputy Headmistress. Her emerald robes grazed the stone floor as she made her way toward him, her piercing dark eyes fixed on Harry with an unreadable expression.

"Mr. Potter," she announced, her voice carrying the crisp authority of her position.

"Professor," Harry responded, striving to maintain steadiness in his voice.

"I regret to inform you that your medical records, among a few others, have been damaged beyond repair," she stated, adjusting her spectacles as she relayed the information.

Minerva's gaze softened as she continued, "Over the summer, Madam Pomfrey took a trainee mediwitch under her wing. The intern, while well-meaning and enthusiastic, unfortunately managed to irreparably damage a stack of medical records during a potion brewing mishap. Yours were among them."

Harry, startled, opened his mouth to respond but Minerva continued.

"I'm aware this is an inconvenience," she said, her stern demeanor belying the underlying worry she had been nursing for Harry since his return from summer. He had seemed thinner, more withdrawn, and this incident, although unfortunate, gave her a valid excuse to ensure he was physically well. "However, Madam Pomfrey insists on complete medical records for all students. Therefore, it is essential you visit the hospital wing for a start-of-term physical examination today."

Harry's heart pounded in his chest, his stomach knotting. The prospect of a physical examination was terrifying, not out of fear of the hospital wing itself, but because of the secret he carried. The Dursleys had never been kind, but their treatment over the summer had left him nursing several injuries he rather not be found.

Nodding, Harry hoped his apprehension didn't show on his face. "Of course, Professor," he replied, mustering a brave smile. Inside, though, he made a promise to himself to avoid the hospital wing at all costs. They would surely forget.

As the day wore on, each ticking minute filled with the latent dread of his impending visit to the hospital wing, Harry found himself increasingly entangled in the anxiety his secret was causing him. The grandeur of Hogwarts, usually a captivating distraction, lost its charm, its stone walls closing in on him as the hours passed.

The situation didn't escape the watchful eyes of his friends. Ron and Hermione had been noticing the increasing distance between them and Harry ever since he came back for the new term. His usual vigor and humor were replaced by an unsettling quietude, his appetite dwindled to nothingness. The fact that he wasn't eating properly wasn't lost on them, and it added an extra layer of worry to their hearts.

Hermione, with her intuitive understanding, noticed Harry's uncharacteristic silence and occasional flinch. The burden of the secret he carried made him unusually jumpy. She knew he needed medical attention, and during lunch in the Great Hall, she decided to voice her concern. "Harry," she said, her brows furrowed in concern, "you should go see Madam Pomfrey after we eat. Get it over with."

Harry, barely touching his treacle tart, managed a weak smile. His response, however, did nothing to alleviate their worry. "Later, Hermione. I promise."

It was Ron's turn to try, his gaze intense on his best friend. "Harry," he said with an unusual gravity in his voice, "you've hardly been yourself since you got back from summer. You need to take care of yourself. That includes eating, mate. And also, maybe visiting the hospital wing is not the worst thing."

Harry gave a slight nod, indicating he heard them, but they both knew it would take more than just words to get him to Madam Pomfrey. They would have to stay with him, urge him, perhaps even drag him if needed. Their worry was tinged with frustration, but beneath it all was the unwavering bond of friendship, ready to brave whatever was coming their way.

Even Ron, usually more attuned to the subtleties of a chessboard than to those of human behavior, echoed Hermione's advice when they walked to their afternoon History of Magic class. "You're supposed to visit the hospital wing, mate," he nudged Harry, earning a resigned nod and a noncommittal "Yeah, later."

As the day neared its end, Harry found himself in the cold, foreboding dungeons for Potions class. Professor Snape, his dark eyes sharp and calculating, was keenly observant of Harry's every move. It was clear that he had been informed of Harry's situation by Professor McGonagall.

Class passed in a haze of cauldron fumes and Severus's bitter remarks. Yet, Harry's dread was not related to the difficult potion they were brewing, but to the end of the class and Severus's inevitable reminder.

Finally, the school bell rang. As the students began packing up their belongings, Severus's voice sliced through the clamor. "Mr. Potter," he drawled, "a moment of your time."

Harry felt a lump form in his throat. He tried to swallow it down, but it stubbornly persisted. He met Severus's eyes and nodded, his gaze dropping to his worn-out shoes. His heart pounded against his chest, every beat echoing the secret he was so desperately trying to conceal.

As the room emptied, the echo of shuffling feet and hushed whispers gradually fading, only three figures remained. Harry, his heart pounding in his chest as if trying to escape, sat frozen at his desk, his eyes glued to his worn-out shoes. Beside him, Hermione and Ron exchanged worried glances.

"Harry," Hermione started, her voice barely above a whisper, "are you sure you're..."

"I'm fine, Hermione," Harry interrupted, not daring to look up. His voice was strained, unconvincingly steady. He could feel her concern, just as he could feel Ron's. It radiated from them like warmth from a hearth, comforting but unbearable in its intensity.

"Maybe we should stay with you," Ron suggested, his voice marked with an undercurrent of worry. Ron, who always wore his heart on his sleeve, was a poor actor when it came to masking his emotions.

"No, Ron," Harry answered quickly, too quickly. "I'm alright. Really." He finally met their eyes, attempting to put on a brave face. He shrugged, a nonchalant gesture that felt hollow even to him.

Severus, who had been observing the exchange from the front of the classroom, arched an eyebrow. The three students, so different yet united by a bond that was palpable even to him, were a stark contrast to the memories of his own school days.

"Ms. Granger, Mr. Weasley," he began, his voice cutting through the tense silence. The drawl, the one he reserved for his most solemn of interactions, hung heavy in the air. His obsidian eyes were sharp, focusing on each of them in turn. "You may leave. I need to speak with Mr. Potter alone."

Hermione and Ron exchanged another glance, a silent conversation passing between them. They turned to look at Harry, searching for any sign of reassurance, any indication that he was okay with this. But Harry simply nodded, forcing a small smile onto his face. It was the smallest of gestures, but to his friends, it was a clear message. He wanted them to go.

As if on cue, Severus directed a pointed glare at them, the force of his gaze causing them to startle. It was a look they knew all too well, a clear indication that further protest would not be tolerated.

With a sigh, Hermione gave Harry's hand a quick squeeze before gathering her belongings. Ron followed suit, shooting Harry a last worried glance before heading towards the classroom door. As it creaked shut behind them, Harry was once again left alone with Severus, the silence enveloping them like a shroud.

As the footsteps of his friends faded, Harry finally lifted his gaze to meet Severus's. He braced himself, his heart pounding in his chest, for the conversation that was about to unfold. The lump in his throat had grown bigger, almost suffocating him with its weight. But he swallowed it down, steeling himself for what was to come.

For his part, Severus watched as Harry's brave facade wavered for a moment before solidifying once more. The boy was trying to hide his fear, his vulnerability, but to Severus, it was as clear as day.

Severus's gaze lingered on him, a mix of annoyance, curiosity, and an unexpected hint of concern. Harry knew then that there was no escape; he would have to face his fears and the consequences that came with them. Despite his terror, a part of him acknowledged that it was time to stop hiding. After all, he was a wizard, a Gryffindor, and he could face this challenge, just like the ones to come.

As Harry approached Severus's desk, the torches flickered ominously, casting long shadows that seemed to dance and twist in a morbid anticipation of what was to come. Severus, perched upon his chair like a predatory bird, watched him with an unrelenting gaze.

"Mr. Potter," Severus began, his voice a smooth, silky hiss that echoed around the stone-walled room, "I understand from Professor McGonagall that you were instructed to visit the hospital wing today."

Harry kept his gaze trained on the worn stone floor, refusing to meet Severus's penetrating stare. "Yes, Professor," he murmured.

"And yet, here we are, at the end of the day, and you have not been," Severus continued, a note of dark amusement playing on his thin lips. "Is there a reason for your... neglect, Potter?"

His heart pounding in his chest, Harry shrugged, feigning indifference. "I forgot," he said, hoping his voice didn't betray the fear gnawing at him.

There was a pause, long and heavy, as Severus scrutinized him, his sharp gaze seemingly able to penetrate the shields Harry had erected around himself. Severus may have been the Potions Master, but he was also a highly skilled Legilimens, capable of navigating through the complex maze of a person's mind. However, he respected the boundaries of such intrusion, only resorting to it when it was deemed necessary.

"I see," Severus finally drawled, leaning back in his chair. His gaze, though still sharp, seemed to soften marginally, something that was almost akin to concern flickering in his dark eyes. "Very well, Potter. It appears I must escort you to Madam Pomfrey."

Severus's words echoed ominously in the silence of the room. Harry's heart was pounding, a crescendo of fear gripping him. He didn't want anyone at Hogwarts to know about his life with the Dursleys. Yet he had little choice. Reluctantly, he swallowed the lump in his throat and managed a jerky nod.

"Alright," he muttered, keeping his voice steady with effort. His green eyes were veiled with apprehension, an unspoken plea for understanding. He didn't look at Severus as he stood up, the cold pit of dread in his stomach making him feel more fragile than he'd ever felt before.

Sullenly, he fell into step beside the potions master, his mind spinning with the grim realization that he had to confront his worst fears. A chilling wave of terror washed over him, but he squared his shoulders and trudged on. Hogwarts was his sanctuary, his home. The hospital wing, however, had suddenly turned into a battlefield. He hoped that the war he was about to wage wouldn't leave him broken and alone. He hoped that he would still find the strength to carry on, just like he always had.

The walk through the hallways was agonizingly long for Harry. His mind raced with fear and a desperate hope that Madam Pomfrey wouldn't discover his injuries. He had come to Hogwarts to escape the torment of the Dursleys, but now it seemed he was being pushed into revealing the dark secrets of his past.

Just as they rounded a corner and the hospital wing's tall, welcoming double doors came into view, Harry spotted an opportunity. A side door leading to the castle grounds was ajar, the setting sun casting long shadows through it. Without a second thought, Harry seized his chance and bolted towards it.

Harry's sudden movement took Severus by surprise. He had known the boy was agile from observing him in Quidditch matches, but he had never seen him run like this. Harry was fueled by adrenaline and desperation, his speed a startling contrast to the usual grace he displayed on his broom. His path across the grounds was erratic and unpredictable, dodging in and out of the shadows like a hare fleeing a predator. The hospital wing and its dreaded secrets grew distant with each of his frantic strides.

"Potter!" Severus's voice echoed behind him, laden with a panicked urgency that was unfamiliar to his usual calm and collected demeanor. But Harry did not look back.

His path veered towards the Forbidden Forest, its towering trees a dark silhouette against the twilight sky. Severus was close on his heels, his own heart pounding in his chest, a bizarre mix of anger and concern threading through his mind. The boy was heading towards danger, but Severus was more afraid of the damage already done.

Suddenly, unseen in the dimming twilight, a mischievous branch snagged Harry's foot, causing him to stumble. He tripped and fell forward, the breath whooshing out of him as he hit the ground. The rough texture of the forest floor grazed his hands and his glasses skittered away from his face.

Severus's heart lurched as he watched Harry fall, a sinking dread gnawing at his gut. He was not quick enough to catch him, and the sight of Harry hitting the ground was like a cold splash of fear.

In the next instant, a jolt of sharp pain ripped through Harry's chest, stealing his breath away. It felt as if a burning hot poker was being thrust into his side with every desperate gasp for air. The pain was magnified by the fall, a cruel punishment for his attempted escape. A wave of dizziness washed over him as the world around him spun and blurred, the forest, the castle, everything tilting into a vortex of pain.

Harry collapsed just at the edge of the Forbidden Forest, his breath coming in short, ragged gasps. The adrenaline that had propelled him thus far had run its course, leaving him consumed by the agonizing pain radiating from his ribs.

Severus, having finally caught up to him, crouched beside Harry, his dark eyes wide with concern. He gently yet swiftly assessed Harry's condition. "This is not a simple case of running out of breath, Potter," Severus muttered under his breath, his usually sardonic voice filled with a hint of worry.

"It looks like a punctured lung," he added grimly, immediately pulling out his wand and sending a red spark high into the sky – an emergency signal visible across the Hogwarts grounds. He was too scared to move him without assistance, not knowing what else might be wrong.

Severus's fingers tightened around his wand as the red spark faded into the twilight. His usually calm and collected facade was strained, the severity of the situation painfully clear. Harry, gasping and trembling on the forest floor, was rapidly descending into panic, the pain and fear overwhelming him.

"Potter," Severus said, his voice low and steady despite the grim situation, "you need to calm down. You are in good hands, and help is on the way."

Harry didn't seem to register his words, his wide, fear-filled eyes darting around wildly as his shallow breaths grew more desperate and frantic. His hand instinctively clutched at his side, a soft groan of pain escaping his lips.

Severus placed a hand on Harry's shoulder, trying to steady him. It was an unfamiliar gesture, almost comforting, unlike the stern Potions Master Harry was accustomed to. He could feel Harry trembling beneath his grip, the panic that gripped the boy all too palpable.

"Focus, Potter," Severus ordered, his voice calm but firm. "Concentrate on my voice. You must control your breathing; short, shallow breaths."

He attempted to demonstrate, taking slow, measured breaths, his hand on Harry's shoulder rising and falling with his chest. But Harry's panic seemed to have taken hold, the severity of his situation becoming more apparent.

In the silence that followed, punctuated only by Harry's ragged gasps, Severus felt a prickling sense of worry gnawing at him. He was not a man who was easily moved, but the sight of Harry, normally so bold and defiant, now reduced to a state of helpless pain and panic, unsettled him more than he would ever admit.

As he waited for help to arrive, Severus tried to keep Harry distracted, talking about his classes, friends in a low soothing tone, anything to distract him from his situation. However, the panic in Harry's eyes refused to abate, his gasps growing weaker and more strained with each passing second.

Just when Severus was about to attempt to pick up Harry and run to the hospital wing, a flurry of robes and light footsteps announced the arrival of help. Severus looked up to see Madam Pomfrey, the school's matron, and Professor McGonagall rushing towards them. Their faces were etched with worry, their eyes filled with determination.

Madam Pomfrey quickly kneeled beside Harry, her face a mask of professional concern. She wasted no time, her wand immediately at work. The tip glowed a soft, pulsating light, casting long, dancing shadows around them as she murmured incantations under her breath. Her healing charm was immediate, and Harry's ragged gasps became less desperate, the pain in his eyes subsiding somewhat.

"I've managed to stabilize Harry for now," Madam Pomfrey announced, her face pale and lined with worry.

A second charm left her wand, this one a soft, swirling mist of gold that enveloped Harry. It was a diagnostic charm, swiftly identifying and mapping any internal injuries or issues. Its glow intensified around Harry's chest and ribs, confirming Severus's grim analysis. There were also multiple older injuries - fading bruises, half-healed welts, the remnants of a poorly-healed broken wrist.

Madam Pomfrey's mouth thinned into a line, her gaze flicking towards Severus with unspoken questions. But those were concerns for later. Right now, they needed to get Harry to the hospital wing.

"Severus," Madam Pomfrey finally broke the silence, her voice holding a note of urgency. "I need you to carry him for me. We could conjure a stretcher, but given his state, I believe a more... human touch might be beneficial."

The request took Severus by surprise. Despite their shared history and many years of working together, physical contact or personal gestures were rare. However, considering the situation and Harry's obvious distress, he saw the logic behind Madam Pomfrey's request.

Severus didn't respond verbally, but the slight nod he gave was enough. He slid his arms carefully under Harry, mindful of the boy's injuries. He lifted him with an unexpected gentleness, Harry's head resting against his shoulder.

The journey back to the castle was silent, bar the rustling of robes and the distant hooting of owls. As Severus carried Harry towards the hospital wing, he felt the boy's tense body gradually relax, his shallow breaths evening out to a more normal rhythm.

His mind churned with questions, the most pressing being how Harry had sustained so many injuries and why they had been left untreated for so long. Deep down he knew how Severus had suspicions, but thinking of that would just make him angry and now was not the time for that. Those were questions for later. Right now, he could only focus on delivering Harry to the safety and care of the hospital wing.

As the massive, welcoming doors of the hospital wing creaked open, Severus quickened his pace. His gaze fell upon a the private room in the corner of the room – a space meant for those who needed extra care. This was exactly what Harry needed; privacy and care, away from prying eyes and whispers.

Harry had already tried to run once, and Severus knew they couldn't afford to take a second chance. With careful precision, he laid Harry down on the pristine white sheets, his movements as smooth as possible to prevent further discomfort. The warmth of Severus's arms was replaced by the cool linen, causing Harry to shiver slightly in response.

Once Harry was settled, Severus stepped back, a wave of relief washing over him. He watched as Minerva strode forward, the concern etched on her usually stern face hard to miss. She took a seat at Harry's bedside, her hand instinctively reaching out to gently brush a few stray locks of hair off Harry's forehead. It was a small gesture, but it spoke volumes about her concern for the boy who was far more to her than just another student.

Madam Pomfrey, meanwhile, wasted no time. She hurried forward, her wand at the ready. With swift, precise movements, she continued her diagnostic and healing charms, her professional demeanor never faltering. Yet, there was an unusual softness in her eyes as she looked at Harry, an uncharacteristic display of emotion that Severus found himself sharing.

Watching Harry lying pale and still against the stark white of the bed, Severus felt an unfamiliar churning in his chest. The sight stirred a complex mix of emotions within him, so conflicting and chaotic that he struggled to identify them all. He felt a hint of guilt, for he had been the one to drag Harry towards this situation, even if unknowingly. He also felt concern, something he was not accustomed to feeling, especially not for the Boy Who Lived.

But the most overwhelming emotion was anger – not at Harry, but at those who had let him reach such a state. The evidence of neglect and abuse, made all too apparent by the magical diagnosis, was more than he could bear. And for the first time in a long while, Severus felt protective over someone else and it just happened to be Harry Potter.

But he shoved these emotions aside for the moment, folding his arms and leaning against a nearby wall. There was no room for personal feelings in this room filled with sterile scents and soft murmurs of medical spells. The room was filled with professionals doing their jobs, and he was here because of his own role in this – as the man who had brought Harry here, even if against his will.

As the hours slipped away, the room lulled into a quiet rhythm of healing and caring. Severus remained there, a silent guardian in the corner, his dark eyes never leaving the boy on the bed. Harry was out of immediate danger now, that much was certain, but it was also clear that his path to recovery was only just beginning. Severus would have to come to terms with his conflicting emotions later. For now, he focused on the task at hand – ensuring Harry's safety and recovery.

As the night wore on, Severus's mind kept wandering back to the many encounters he'd had with Harry since the boy's arrival at Hogwarts. There had always been a certain distance between them, fostered by old grudges and a sense of obligation he felt towards Lily. But tonight's events had broken down some of those barriers.

Slowly, Severus began to accept the change that had taken place in their dynamic. Despite their past, he found himself caring about Harry's well-being and future. This realization was not an easy one to digest, but it was too late to ignore it.

He watched the steady rise and fall of Harry's chest, his heart clenching at the sight. Madam Pomfrey's spells had done their job - his condition was no longer critical, but the fact that Harry had been so severely neglected and hurt remained an open wound.

A part of Severus wanted to wake the boy, to hear his side of the story. But the sight of Harry's exhausted face, finally relaxed in sleep, stopped him. He had already seen too much pain and fear in those green eyes tonight, eerily reminiscent of Lily's. The questions could wait. The boy needed rest.

The silence in the room was deafening, save for the muted rustle of Madam Pomfrey's robes and the hushed whispers between her and Minerva. They were discussing Harry's condition, their voices purposefully lowered. The magical readings from the diagnostic charm, it seemed, had raised more questions than answers.

Slowly, Harry's eyes fluttered open, a disoriented gaze sweeping over the sterile surroundings of the hospital wing. His throat felt dry, he didn't know where his glasses were, his body heavy and aching in ways he could not begin to explain. The painful memories of the past few hours came flooding back in waves, and the relief of being alive swiftly turned into the dread of reality.

There were eyes on him. He could feel the weight of their gazes, filled with worry, curiosity, and a hint of shock. It was as if they were seeing him for the first time, and Harry didn't like what they were seeing. It was as if his most closely guarded secrets had been laid bare. The realization sparked a sudden flare of anger, fuelling his defiance.

Abruptly, he turned his back to them, facing the stone wall of the room instead. His heart pounded loudly in his chest, the tight knot of anxiety twisting painfully in his gut. He didn't want to see their faces, didn't want to answer their questions. In his silence, he was trying to regain control, to hide his vulnerability.

She tried to offer him comforting words, to tell him it was going to be alright. But her words sounded muffled, like she was speaking underwater. Nothing was penetrating the fortress of fear he had erected around himself. He simply laid there, her voice a distant murmur in the background. When she reached out to him again, he shrugged her hand off, an indication of his desire to be left alone.

In the tense silence that followed, Severus, who had been quietly observing from a distance, finally moved. The sound of his footsteps echoed ominously in the room as he approached the bed. His tall figure towered over Harry, a shadow looming ominously against the wall.

"Potter," he began, his voice carrying a hint of that familiar sarcasm. But this time, it was tempered with something else – something akin to concern.

When Harry didn't respond, Severus sighed heavily. Then, he did something that surprised everyone in the room, including himself. He placed a comforting hand on Harry's back. His fingers, calloused from years of potion-making, felt strangely warm against Harry's cold skin.

The fear that had been threatening to consume Harry found a strange counterpoint in this moment. He was scared - more scared than he could remember being since that fateful night he faced Voldemort as a baby. But there, in a sterile hospital wing under the hand of a man who seemed to detest him since he'd first stepped foot in Hogwarts, he found a strange solace.

It was a simple gesture, one that Severus might have regretted under different circumstances. But the room fell silent at the sight, even Madam Pomfrey and Minerva pausing in their quiet discussion. The sight of Severus, usually so aloof and harsh, extending a hand of comfort to him, was surreal. It shattered something inside Harry, cracked open the floodgates of the fear he had been trying to suppress.

Tears, hot and desperate, broke free, streaming down his face unabated. His body convulsed with silent sobs, each one a testament to the dread he'd been holding in. He was overwhelmed, caught in a tempest of confusion and fear. He was angry, so angry that this was happening, that he had to be vulnerable and open to scrutiny. But in this chaotic storm of emotions, Severus's hand was a steady anchor.

Severus didn't pull away, not even when he felt Harry flinch slightly. He let Harry cry, his hand a constant pressure on the boy's back. In the face of Harry's fear and defiance, the Potions Master offered a wordless understanding. Harry didn't know how to feel about that. Part of him was still furious, yet that single act of unexpected kindness resonated within him, brought him a modicum of peace in his internal turmoil. For the moment, that was all Harry needed - someone who understood, someone who didn't ask questions.

Seeing Harry's warm tears soaking into the sheets he had pulled close around himself stood in stark contrast to the cool hand on his shoulder. Severus looked up to see Minerva standing beside him, her usually sharp eyes softened with understanding. She gave his shoulder a reassuring squeeze, a gesture that spoke volumes of her faith in him. It was a moment that was not lost on Severus, who found himself surprised at the depth of trust Minerva was displaying.

Without uttering a single word, she then moved towards Madam Pomfrey, who had been watching the scene unfold with a mix of worry and relief on her face. She placed her hand on the school matron's arm, guiding her away from the bed and giving the two a moment alone.

They could see that Harry needed a different kind of comfort than they could provide. A comfort from someone who understood the intricacies of his pain, someone who had faced their own demons and survived. As much as they cared for the boy, they understood that sometimes the most powerful healing came from empathy, from someone who had walked a similar path.

Severus was that person. Despite their shared animosity, Severus and Harry were more similar than they would ever admit. Both were scarred by their pasts, molded by their pain into people who hid their true selves behind walls of indifference and defiance.

They both needed healing, although in different forms. Harry needed someone to acknowledge his pain, to understand his fear without demanding answers. Severus, on the other hand, needed to confront his guilt, his unspoken regret for failing Lily. And in an unexpected twist of fate, they had become each other's solace.

As Minerva and Madam Pomfrey stepped out of the room, leaving Harry in Severus's care, they both shared a glance of understanding.

For now, they chose to trust Severus, to believe in his ability to reach Harry in ways they couldn't. They would stand aside, ready to step in if necessary, but hoping they wouldn't need to.

In the silence that followed their departure, the sobs that had filled the room died down to soft hiccups. The room felt eerily quiet, the only sound being the occasional shuffle of fabric as Severus shifted to provide a more comfortable support for Harry. Despite the heaviness of the situation, a sense of peace seemed to descend upon the room, blanketing the two occupants in its comforting warmth.

Harry's silent tears finally ceased, his breath evening out in a rhythmic pattern indicative that sleep was near. Severus looked down at the boy on the bed, the image of the young, frightened child replacing the defiant, guarded almost teenager he was accustomed to seeing. He felt a pang of guilt and regret, a stark realization of how wrong he had been about Harry. His assumptions, prejudices, and past grudges had painted a false image of the boy, an image that was now shattered, revealing a hurt and scared child.

Finally turning over to face Severus, Harry saw the man's hand slowly retreating from his back. His teary eyes met Severus's, a raw and broken look that stripped away all the layers of stubborn bravado that usually marked the young wizard. There was an overwhelming amount of fear in his gaze, reflecting the dire reality they all had come to suspect.

"Potter," Severus began, his voice low and solemn. Despite his usually unflappable demeanor, the potions master couldn't help but allow a hint of concern to seep into his voice. He had seen the evidence, he had heard the medical report, but there was still a part of him that refused to believe that the Dursleys, relatives entrusted with Harry's safety, could have inflicted such harm upon him.

"Can you tell me who hurt you?" Severus finally asked, his gaze unwavering. He kept his voice steady and his features neutral, attempting to provide some semblance of stability in the swirling chaos that had become their reality.

Harry swallowed hard, a shudder running through his frail form as he contemplated his answer. Severus watched him closely, recognizing the internal struggle he was going through. After a tense moment, Harry parted his lips, a shaky breath escaping before he finally whispered the answer that would change everything.

"Uncle Vernon."

It was a quiet confession, barely louder than a whisper, but it echoed loudly in the silent room. Severus felt a wave of fury wash over him, a powerful mixture of disgust and shock. It was one thing to suspect, another entirely to have it confirmed by Harry himself.

But along with the anger, there was also an undeniable relief. The fear that had been clouding Harry's eyes seemed to diminish slightly with his admission, as though sharing the truth had lifted some of the burdens off his shoulders.

Severus took a deep, steadying breath before speaking again, his voice firm and resolute. "You will not be going back there, Potter. Not while I can help it."

The declaration hung in the air between them, a solemn vow from a man who'd always seemed to have nothing but contempt for Harry. His words were absolute, leaving no room for doubt.

The relief that Harry should have felt was instead eclipsed by a newfound anxiety. The idea of not returning to the Dursleys, to the place he'd begrudgingly come to accept as 'home', was foreign and terrifying. It posed questions he wasn't ready to answer, uncertainties he didn't want to face.

"Where... where will I go?" Harry whispered, so quietly that Severus had to strain to hear him. His voice was laced with such fear, such vulnerability, that Severus felt an uncomfortable pull at his conscience. It was disconcerting to see the usually defiant and tenacious boy so uncertain and afraid.

"The Headmaster and I will discuss it," Severus said, his voice gentle in a way that Harry had never heard before. "But rest assured, Potter, you will be safe. No one will hurt you like that again."

For the first time since he'd known him, Harry looked at Severus with a glimmer of something akin to trust. He still couldn't fully comprehend the strange turn of events, but he found a small semblance of comfort in Severus's words.

As Harry's eyes slowly fluttered shut, surrendering to the exhaustion tugging at him, Severus watched him with a thoughtful gaze. A silent vow formed within him, a promise to himself and to the memory of Lily: He would protect her son. No matter what.

Severus retreated from the room once he was sure Harry was in a deep asleep. He closed the door behind him as quietly so as not to disturb Harry and leaned heavily against it. The toll of the night's events had drained him, leaving him feeling frayed and exposed, a rare state for the typically stern and secretive wizard.

Minerva, who had been waiting for him in the shadows, moved forward now, her dark green robes whispering across the stone floor. The moonlight filtering through a nearby window caught in her spectacles, but her eyes behind them were warm and knowing. She came to him, her usually stern face softened with concern, and enveloped Severus in a hug.

It was a gesture so uncharacteristically gentle for the typically rigid and stern Hogwarts professors, yet it felt perfectly right in that moment. Severus, taken by surprise, stiffened initially. But as the warmth seeped from Minerva to him, he found his rigid posture melting away. This was a solace he hadn't known he'd needed until that moment.

She did not speak, did not offer platitudes or hollow reassurances. She simply held him, steady and solid. A pillar of strength, just as she had always been. First as a professor who had seen the potential in a troubled young boy, then as a colleague who stood by his side even when their opinions clashed, and now as a friend offering support in his moment of weakness.

Minerva finally pulled back, her normally steely eyes glistening with unshed tears. With a swift movement, she wiped them away on the sleeve of her robe, her breath hitching in an attempt to regain composure. Her usual stern demeanor cracked, just for a moment, revealing a depth of maternal affection Severus had rarely seen her display.

She offered him a small, watery smile, the kind of smile that was both sad and reassuring at the same time. "Severus," she began, her voice stronger than he had expected. "We need to tell Albus."

The mention of Albus made Severus tense again. He nodded curtly, understanding the importance of what Minerva was suggesting. The headmaster had to be informed about Harry's situation, about his confession.

Together, they began their walk towards the headmaster's office. The castle was silent around them, adding a sense of gravity to their task. They moved through the corridors, their footsteps echoing off the ancient stone walls, their minds heavy with the weight of what had happened and what was yet to come.

As they walked, a new resolution took root in Severus' mind. He would do whatever it took to ensure Harry's safety. The boy was Lily's son, and although it had taken him too long to see it, he deserved better. He deserved a life free from the shadow of his abusive relatives, a life where he could heal from his past.

And as much as she was worried for Harry, Minerva was equally concerned for Severus. She knew of his tumultuous past, the guilt he harbored, and the responsibility he felt towards Lily's son. She would stand by him, offering her support in any way she could. After all, they were more than just colleagues; they were friends, bound by shared secrets, sacrifices, and the desire to protect their students.

As they reached the gargoyle guarding the entrance to Albus's office, they shared a look, a silent acknowledgement of the battle they were about to undertake. But they were ready. Ready to fight like hell to ensure Harry's safety, and in Minerva's case, ready to fight for Severus too.

Albus was sitting at his desk, his face illuminated by the soft glow of the desk lamp. He was leaning over a pile of paperwork, his forehead furrowed in concentration. He looked up as they entered, his piercing blue eyes scanning over them before a knowing sadness crept into his gaze.

"Severus, Minerva," he greeted, his voice as calm and measured as always, but there was an edge to it - a hint of anticipation. He knew why they were here.

Minerva was the first to speak, recounting the evening's events with an unwavering voice. She told him about Poppy losing medical files, about Harry's sudden disappearance, and finally about the physical injuries that had been discovered. The punctured lung, the other injuries... and the horrifying revelation of their origin.

Albus's face remained impassive, a mask of composure, but his eyes betrayed a storm of emotions. Anger, guilt, regret - a dark reflection of the very sentiments that had been haunting Severus. As Minerva recounted the name Harry had whispered - "Uncle Vernon" - Albus closed his eyes briefly, as if to ward off the inevitable truth.

When Minerva finished, the room fell silent. The only sound was the quiet ticking of the clock on Albus's desk, its rhythmic pulse mocking the stillness that had settled over them. They were suspended in a moment of time, a moment laden with a heavy revelation that was simultaneously shocking and yet not entirely surprising.

Finally, Albus opened his eyes, and his gaze landed on Severus. He seemed older somehow, the lines on his face deepened by the weight of the truth he had just learned. The normally twinkling eyes were darkened, their gaze heavy with the burden of his responsibilities and the reality of his failures.

"Severus," he said, his voice carrying a profound sadness, "I should have seen this/"

Severus stayed quiet, watching the headmaster intently. He felt a prick of irritation at Albus's statement - it was too late for regrets, too late for what should have been done. But he kept his thoughts to himself. He had his own guilt to grapple with.

"We must ensure Harry's safety," Albus continued, "He cannot return to the Dursleys."

A flash of relief swept through Severus at those words, quickly followed by a sense of grim determination. This was the path he had chosen, the promise he had made to himself, to Lily. He was prepared to walk it, whatever it might bring.

"We're in agreement, Albus," Minerva said, her voice steady but her expression stern. "Harry's welfare is our priority. We should have done better."

Albus nodded solemnly. He seemed lost in thought, his gaze distant. After a moment, he turned back to them, a new resolution in his eyes.

"Severus," he began, giving the potions master a thoughtful look, then turned his gaze back down at his papers. "I own a cottage by the sea." His words were spoken in an almost casual tone, yet they carried an undercurrent of deeper implications.

He looked up at Severus again, his gaze intent. There was a certain gravity in his eyes, a seriousness that cut through the usual twinkle. Severus, though initially puzzled by this seemingly irrelevant comment, began to see where the headmaster was going with this.

Albus' gaze shifted to Minerva, and their eyes met. It was a silent conversation, a private understanding shared between two old friends who had faced countless trials together. She nodded slowly, comprehension dawning on her face, and a spark of hope lit up her eyes.

Turning back to Severus, Albus posed the question, his voice low and grave. "Severus, I know this is several months away, but would you take Harry there for the holidays?"

The question hung in the air, heavy and charged with potential. It was an offer, but also a challenge. A call for Severus to step out of his comfort zone, to be the protector he had vowed to become.

For a moment, Severus was silent, the gravity of the proposal sinking in. Taking care of Harry was one thing, but to take him to a location so far removed from Hogwarts, away from Albus and Minerva's watchful eyes, was another level of responsibility entirely. But as he locked eyes with Albus, he knew what his answer would be.

If this was what it took to ensure Harry's safety, to give him a chance at a life free from abuse, then he would do it. He had made a promise to Lily, to himself, and he was not one to back down from his commitments.

"Yes," Severus finally responded, his voice firm, his resolve unwavering. "I will."

Minerva gently placed a hand on Severus's shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze. "You're doing the right thing, Severus," she whispered, her voice a soothing balm in the suffocating silence. Severus merely nodded, his face a stoic mask, as he turned to leave the room.

Once he was gone, Minerva slowly collapsed into the chair in front of Albus's desk. Her shoulders sagged, and the worry that she had been holding at bay was visible on her face.

"Albus," she began, her voice trembling slightly. "What if this is too much for Severus? He has his own demons... adding Harry's might be..." She didn't finish the sentence, unable to put her fears into words.

Albus looked at her intently, his blue eyes reflecting the weight of the situation. "Severus is stronger than he gives himself credit for, Minerva," he said softly. "And I believe this could be the beginning of a healing process for both of them."

A heavy silence filled the room as they both contemplated the challenging path ahead. Albus leaned back in his chair, his gaze distant. "The boy needs love and care, Minerva," he continued, his voice barely above a whisper. "And Severus, despite his harsh exterior, has a capacity for both."

With a decisive nod, Albus turned his gaze back to Minerva. "I will contact the authorities," he said, his voice carrying a finality that was rarely heard. "We'll begin the legal process of bringing charges against the Dursleys. We'll do this quietly, of course. The last thing Harry needs is the media circus this will inevitably draw."

Minerva remained silent, staring at Albus. She knew he was right. Severus, for all his sullen demeanor and sharp words, cared deeply. He was capable of compassion, even if he often chose to hide it behind a veil of bitterness. And perhaps, this was exactly what Harry needed.

She rose from her chair and nodded, her expression stern but her eyes soft. "We will support them, Albus," she declared, determination flooding her voice. "We owe it to them."

As Minerva left his office and closed the door behind her Albus spoke to the empty room, "Yes, yes we do."

After their meeting, Severus found himself walking back to the hospital wing where Harry lay, the boy's fate and his own resolve heavy on his mind. As he entered the room, the soft glow of the enchanted ceiling cast a serene light over Harry's sleeping form. The boy's face, usually so full of energy and defiance, was quiet and peaceful in sleep.

It was a painful reminder of just how young Harry was and the enormity of the task that lay before Severus. He knew that he couldn't fail; he had made a promise to Lily, to himself, and now, to Albus and Minerva.

Taking a seat next to Harry's bed, Severus watched as the boy's chest rose and fell rhythmically.

The room was silent, save for the sound of Harry's breathing and the distant hooting of an owl. It was a silence that gave room for thought, for contemplation, and for something Severus hadn't expected - storytelling.

He found himself speaking to the sleeping boy, his voice low and hushed as if afraid to disturb the tranquility of the room. He began to weave a tale of a fiery red-headed witch who had once saved him from falling off a cliff when they were venturing through the woods.

Their story wasn't an easy one, fraught with misunderstandings and heartache, but there were moments, brief as they might have been, that Severus remembered fondly. Like the time Lily had saved him from a near-death experience, her emerald eyes full of worry and relief as she helped him back to safe grounds.

That memory brought a bitter-sweet smile to Severus's face, the kind that spoke of nostalgia and regret. As he recounted that day, he couldn't help but hope that this was a memory that Harry would treasure. An insight into a mother he never knew but who loved him deeply.

As Severus finished his tale, he looked down at Harry, the boy's face relaxed in deep sleep. For the first time, Severus realized he wasn't just doing this for Lily or to absolve his own guilt. He was doing this for Harry, for the boy who carried Lily's eyes and a spirit that refused to be quenched.

And with that realization came a renewed sense of determination. He would not fail. He would not let this boy down, not like he had once let down his mother. He owed it to them, to Harry, to Lily, and most importantly, to himself.

In the quiet solitude of the private room in the hospital wing, with Harry sleeping peacefully by his side, Severus found a resolve he never knew he had. He would protect Harry Potter, guide him, and perhaps, in time, come to understand him. And as daunting as that task was, Severus found himself looking forward to it. After all, Harry was more than just his student. He was his responsibility, his promise, and now, his chance for redemption.
The End.


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3867