Everything Is Not What It Seems by RavenMooney
Summary: Severus Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, assumed he was going to have a relaxing summer, but that all changes when an upset Lily visits him in his dream needing his help to save her son.

Reluctantly Severus checks on Harry, discovering that all is not what it seems.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Canon, Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption, Injured!Harry, Kidnapped!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Physical Abuse, Profanity, Rape
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 95232 Read: 9836 Published: 30 Aug 2023 Updated: 22 Apr 2024
Chapter 2 Harry's New Guardian by RavenMooney
Anxiously pacing back and forth in hallway on the second floor at Snape manor, like a caged tiger, was Severus who would not admit it to anyone, even himself, but he was worried. Worried about Potter, who was currently lying unconscious on a guest-bed in his most hated professor's home, while the medi-witch tended to him.

What happens if he had actually managed to fail in keeping his promise to Lily, the one he had made at least thirteen years ago when she was pregnant with her son.

He shook his head to clear his mind. He did not want to think about that, not right now...

A creaking sound coming from the bedroom door alerted Snape out of his reverie as he turned to look at Poppy who had already closed the door behind her with a forlorn look on her face. He swallowed thickly as his heartbeat increased.

He knew that look as he had seen Poppy wearing it every time he bought one of his abused snakes to the hospital wing so that she could tend to them, the news was never good.

"How bad?" He finally asked....after occluding his mind to calm himself down.

Sighing, Poppy replied, "it's bad Severus. He has 4 cracked ribs, 4 broken fingers on his right hand, his left wrist is broken and his ankle on his right leg is broken...he is also suffering from malnutrition and the marks and wounds covering most of his upper body are definitely from a belt," she paused, controlling her breathing before continuing. She hated this part and as he doesn't often deal with this sort of abuse, it's alot harder for her to tell the worried parents, relatives and....professors. She sighed again, then said, "I'm afraid you were right Severus, he was sexually abused"

Guilt washed over his face as he stared in shock at his colleague.

I've failed...I've failed Lily. He repeated over and over again in his mind, still not able to believe he hadn't been able to keep his promise to her, in protecting her son.

Anger towards the monsters who hurt the boy, shortly rouse inside of him as he realized that they had hurt Lily's and James's son.

They were going to pay....

"....Severus!"

He flinched when an unsuspected hand landed on his shoulder. Shoving the hand off, he turned around, glaring at the medi-witch.

"What?" He snapped, only to regret it instantly as he realized what he was in for now...

"Don't you take that tone with me young man!" Poppy snapped back, her arms folded against her chest and a glare in place that made him feel like a school boy again.

Head down in shame, Snape nodded. "Yes ma'am"

"Good. Now, what I want to say is...there is no point storming off to the muggles who hurt Mr Potter as it will do no good for anyone, they'll most likely get off for hurting Mr Potter, if you do anything to them and you, Severus would end up in Azkaban for using magic on muggles."

It was Severus's turn to sigh as he gave a small nod, realising how Gryffindor that sounded. He snorted at that. he was meant to be a Slytherin who thought things through, not some Gryffindor that goes head on when it comes to doing dangerous or irresponsible things and ends up getting caught afterwards...he shook his head at that.

"I'm sorry Poppy, you're right. I shouldn't have been about to storm off like that. It was very irresponsible of me" he said


Poppy nodded at that. Pleased that Severus realised how foolish he would have been if he had gone.

"Now, can I trust you for twelve hours not to do anything rash while I'm gone as I will be leaving Potter here until this evening when I will be coming over with Albus to take the boy to the hospital wing?" She asked in an uncertain tone.

She knew of the disdained relationship between her colleague and her patient as she always hears the two complaining about each other and now she wasn't very sure if this was such a good idea, but what else could she do. She had know other choice as Mr Potter is currently in a deep sleep and won't be awake until this early evening.

Across from her, Snape stared at her with a glare and would have refused to allow the Potter brat to stay any longer in his manor, that was until he remembered as to why he was here in the first place and that he had managed to fail in his promise to Lily...he shook his head, wonderering why he didn't just take the boy away from Godric's hollow that night instead of handing him over to Hagrid. At least he wouldn't have been abused by the ones who were meant to care for him.

"Very well Poppy, you may leave Mr Potter here for twelve hours and I mean only twelve, not twenty. You did give him dreamless sleep, did you?"

Now bought out of her thoughts, Poppy nodded. "of course Severus. He won't bother you while I'm gone if that's what you mean and yes, I will be back for him in twelve hours, just before dinner so you'll have nothing to worry about" she said in a reassuring tone.

"You better as I won't be responsible for the boy after twelve hours, so should something happen to him, it will be your fault"

Poppy rolled her eyes. "As I said before young man, I shall be back by then with the headmaster by then...now are we just going to stand here all day or can I floo back to my rooms now" with that she turned on her heels and headed back down the stairs, leaving a glaring potions master behind her.

The nerve of that woman. Scowled Snape, annoyed that Poppy had called him young man. He dested called that as it makes him feel like a child...shaking his head, he followed after Poppy, quickly catching up with her and walked her to his study so that she could floo out.

With a small handful of floo powder, Poppy turned to look at her colleague and said, "well Severus, I shall see you later...oh, and do not hesitate to floo call either myself or Albus, should there be any problems before we come."

The only response Severus gave was another scowl, before saying, "of course Poppy, I will be sure to contact you should there be any problems"

Poppy gave a nod as she chucked the powder into the floo and shouted her destination, she then stepped into the green flames and within seconds, she disappeared, leaving behind her colleague.

Once she left, Severus turned on his heels, deciding it was time for some much needed rest.

******

A man dressed in Slytherin green clothing and a cloak to match, with shoulder length grey hair and penetrating black eyes, was sitting in what appeared to be a living room with Christmas decorations hanging on the walls and a large Christmas tree by the large window.

Beside the man on the couch, sat a five year old girl with raven black hair and familiar emerald eyes. Lily's eyes.

The man smiled down at his granddaughter as he handed her a Slytherin green wrapped present in the shape of a broomstick.

"Merry Christmas Lily" the man said, watching as the girl opened her present carefully. Almost instantly she jumped into his lap, hugging him.

"L've you gran'pa"

"I as well Lily, I as well"

The two stayed like that for a few moments before an older Harry Potter interrupted.

"Open mine now dad" he said, handing a Gryffindor red wrapped present to the man.

Opening with the 'help' of his granddaughter, the present revealed a gold cauldron with bold black lettering saying, 'world's greatest dad'

"Thank you son" the man said, pulling his twenty-nine year old son into a hug, with his granddaughter still on his lap.

Smiling, the man was glad he had made the right decision he had all those years ago.

******

Sitting upright in his transfigured armchair, quickly realising that he must have accidentally fallen asleep while keeping an eye on the boy for a few minutes....he snorted, as he remembered his dream. He was not going to be Potter's...guardian, no matter if James and Lily would have wantef it, or even his godmother. He was a spy for Merlin's sakes, it just simply wasn't done. besides he was sure Potter would much rather live with the Dark Lord as his guardian than the greasy git of the dungeons.

Too tired to move, Severus leaned back into the chair again, he shook his head in despair, knowing because of his spying duties he would never be able to have what he desires the most,

A family...

******

"Severus!" Albus called, stepping out of the floo and into his potions master's study.

The medi-witch shortly stepped out after another green flame appeared, both arriving at their destination right on schedule and now, all they had to do was bring the Potter boy back to the hospital wing as that is where he will be staying for the first couple of days until they decide where he can stay.

Meanwhile an alarm went off down in Snape's potions lab, where the man was currently brewing, alerting him that someone flooed through, just as a small green house elf appeared into the room.

"Master Severus sir, master headmaster and mistress medi-witch are here's in yours study, waiting for you's"

"Thank you Lucy, I know." Severus said as he took out his wand and casted a quick stasis charm on the flame that he had lit for brewing his potion.

"Lucy, could you check on Mr Potter for me and see if he's awake...if not, come find me right away" Snape ordered as he made his way out of his lab and up towards his study.

Minutes later, Snape entered his study where he was met by both his employer and his colleague sitting down on the yellow leather couch in the room.

"Severus." Both Poppy and Albus said, greeting the potions master.

Snape inclined his head towards the both of them. "Poppy, Albus...I'm guessing you're here for Potter?"

The medi-witch nodded her head.

"Right on schedule as well. Has he awaken yet?"

Severus shook his head, "No, I'm afraid Mr Potter has yet to wake."

seeing that his colleague was about to get up from the couch, Severus added,

"Do not worry yourself Poppy, as I have asked my house elf to check on him and see if he has woken up yet, if not, then she will let me know right away"

A loud POP in the room alerted the three Hogwarts profeasors.

"Is he awake yet Lucy?" Severus asked as soon as his elf appeared in front of him.

"No, master Severus sir, little master hasn't woken yet. Is that all's master?"

He glanced over at the other professors. "Do either of you two want a drink?"

Poppy nodded. "Yes, thank you Severus. Just a normal English breakfast tea will be fine."

"Coffee for me, please Lucy" Albus said

"And my usual, Lucy"

"Right away master Severus sir, master headmaster and mistress medi-witch. Yours drinks will be ready soon" nodded Lucy, before disappearing from the room and leaving the three professors alone again.

From the corner of the potions master's eye, he could see that Poppy was fidgeting. Something she doesn't usually do unless a new problem came up with the students in her care, of course because his Slytherins being the ones that end up in the hospital wing more than any other house, then Severus would notice certain habits the medi-witch did that no ome else were aware of.

"Poppy,you may go and check on Mr Potter's condition again" he said in a calm tone.

"Oh, thank you Severus. Don't worry, you'll Mr Potter out of your hair sooner than you think" with that, she got up from the couch and hurried out the room, she had a patient to see.

Snape felt an ache in his chest when his colleague had said that Potter would be out of his hair, sooner than he thought. He shook his head, why would he miss the brat staying here?

Oh I don't know, because he's the son of you two best friends who are now dead and deep down you know you care for the boy. Came the reply in his head.

I do not care for the boy. He replied back to himself

Denial...you do care, you just don't want to admit it.

Oh shut up will you

*silence*

Smirking to himself, Severus had a sip of his green tea that had just arrived. Finally some peace and quiet.

It was at least twenty minutes later when Poppy came back into the room. Dejectedly, she sighed as she sat back down in her previous seat, she noticed two pairs of eyes looking at her with an expectant look.

"Yes?" She asked, taking a sip of her English breakfast tea, while wonderering what they were waiting for.

It was at least twenty minutes later when Poppy came back into the room. Dejectedly, she sighed as she sat back down in her previous seat, she noticed two pairs of eyes looking at her with an expectant look.

"Yes?" She asked, taking a sip of her English breakfast tea, while wonderering what they were waiting for.

Albus's blue eyes twinkled, as he said. "Oh nothing Poppy, but Severus and I are just wondering when you are going to tell us what is wrong with Mr Potter when you went up to check on him?"

Her blue eyes widened in realization.

Swallowing her tea, she said, "Oh, well why didn't you say so?" Putting the mug back down, the medi-witch continued, "anyway, Mr Potter is currently in a 48 hours coma, most likely due to his brain shutting down the moment he fell unconscious...so he won't wake until Tuesday early morning, which means Severus, the boy will have to stay here until then as it would be too risky to either floo, apparate or portkey to Hogwarts with him. Will that be a problem for you?"

Glaring at his colleague first, Severus then reluctantly shook his head. "No, Poppy it should not be a problem. After all, with handling all my Slytherins, I think I can handle one Gryffindor in a coma."

"Very well then Severus, thank you again for allowing Mr Potter to..."

The potions master put a hand up, silencing the medi-witch. "There is no need to thank me Poppy, allowing Potter to occupy one of my guestrooms is no different than allowing my snakes to occupy my guestroom back in my living quarters at Hogwarts"

"Oh but there is a need to thank you Severus..." again she was silenced, this time by the headmaster who had now put a hand up.

"As much as I'd love to hear you Severus, allowing young Harry to stay here while in a coma, and you Poppy, thanking Severus...I'm afraid we have much more important things to discuss, like, where are we going to place Mr Potter this summer?"

Snape leaned back in his chair again, and nodded in agreement, "yes, good idea headmaster...where are you planning on sending Potter for the rest of the summer?"

There was a few minutes of silence in the room as Dumbledore sat there thinking of all the possible places for one Harry Potter to temporarily stay for the summer. After all, if there was no.one willing to take the boy, he would have to go back to Privet Drive, even if the alarm in his office alerted him that the blood wards have dropped.

"I was thinking of sending the boy to the Weasleys for the summer" Albus finally said, only to receive both a nod in agreement from Poppy and a snort from Severus.

Both he and Poppy now looked at Severus with a questioning look.

"What?" Scowled Severus, noticing both his employer and colleague looking at him.

It was Poppy who spoke next, "you don't agree with Albus in leaving Mr Potter with the Weasleys for the summer? how come, I'm sure they'd love to take the boy in and I know they would take good care of him...after all, he did stay with them towards the end of summer last year"

"Yes, I'm sure the Weasleys did such a lovely job at noticing the signs of abuse last summer when Mr Potter was in their care and I'm sure they'd know all about handling an abused child" Severus said in a sarcastic tone and with his arms crossed against his chest.

After a moment of thought, Albus agreed with Severus. Yes, he was sure the Weasleys would take care of Harry, but would they be good at handling an abused child like Harry...he decided if Severus didn't think so, then maybe it would be a bad decision in leaving the boy with them.

"Very well Severus, you're most likely right. The Weasleys will not know how to deal with looking after an abused Harry." He finally said, now sitting in silence once again, thinking of the right home for the boy.

This time it was Poppy who suggested where Harry could go. "What about Minerva, she is the boy's head of house after all. Perhaps she might be able to take Mr Potter in for the summer until we find a permanent home for him"

Severus rolled his black eyes. "Yes, I agree, Minerva would make such a fine guardian for the boy, even though he was her responsibility throughout the school year and she did not even notice any signs of abuse...yes, well done Poppy, marvelous idea" he said in the same sarcastic tone he had used earlier on.

Still glaring at her colleague, she would have said something else, but Albus beat her with another suggestion.

"What about Amelia Bones? She seems like she would be a good temporary guardian for Harry, she also must be good with kids as she is the permanent guardian of her niece"

Again, Severus did not agree and shook his head. He had nothing wrong with Amelia Bones and she would definitely make a good guardian for Potter, but, she was like Minerva. She would not know how to take care of an abused child.

That was the only reason for it. Nothing else.

"....what is wrong with Miss Amelia Bones? I'm sure she'd be a great guardian for the boy." Poppy asked

"Yes she would Poppy, if Potter hadn't been abused...but, he has and she must be quite busy with her important job at the ministry and permanently taking care of her thirteen year old niece, with just her brother to help. No, she would not be a suitable guardian for the boy" Severus explained

An exasperated sigh came from Albus who leaned back in his seat on the couch.

"Alright, we won't leave Mr Potter with Amelia Bones then...I have one more person, I thought might be a good candidate for the boy this summer and perhaps permanently,"

This caused both Poppy and Severus to raise an eyebrow at him.

"And who is that, might I ask?" Severus asked

"Remus Lupin...now hear me out, before you say anything Severus. He was very good friends with James and Lily Potter and would have lots of stories to tell Mr Potter about his parents and..."
Albus didn't get to finish as he was cut off by the potions master.

Snape said in a sarcastic tone, "And he will no doubt turn an abused child into wolf biscuits." He stood up from his armchair and forgetting all about the medi-witch being in the room, he yelled, "No, absolutely not headmaster! I will not allow you to turn Lily's and James's only son into doggie snacks, instead of leaving the boy with someone else who knows how to deal with abused children and...and who won't turn him into a meal." with that he sat back down again in his armchair, his arms now crossed against his chest. He turned his head away, so that he wasn't looking at Albus.

He didn't care about the boy, he just didn't want anything else to happen to his friends son again, especially since he had just been abused, also, they did not know what condition the boy might be in until he woke.

"....do you have a better idea then as to who would be a more suitable guardian than the Weasleys, Minerva, Amelia Bones and Remus Lupin?" Albus finally asked after sometime.

Without thinking, all Severus responsded with was, "me."

******

For half an hour or more, the study was quiet, save for Severus's heart beating heavily against his chest.

Did I really just suggest that?

He shook his head at that thought. I haven't had much sleep lately. That was the only excuse Severus could come up with. Sure he wanted to take the boy in for the summer, but he didn't know the first thing about being the only carer for a child, especially one that was abused.

Normally at Hogwarts, he was able to, but that was because he kneew if he messed up in anyway, someone would help, but here at the manor during the summer when most of his colleagues were busy with their own families or however they spent the summer.

"You can't be serious Severus? You hate Mr Potter." was Poppy's response after getting over her shock.

She respected Severus and even though she knew the man when he was a student at Hogwarts himself, she truly thought of him as an equal, not someone with less intelligence or experience as her, it was just that the medi-witch knew how much the man hated the boy and if she was being quite honest with herself, she knew that she would not be able to have a relaxing summer as she would no doubt be worrying if the potions master had killed her patient or not.

"Yes Poppy I am serious, besides, when have you ever known me to joke about anything like this?" Severus responded, feeling a well known guilty feeling creeping in his chest as he recalled the past two years and how he had treated the boy.

It was an act, most of it anyway. He reasoned with himself.

"I know that Severus, but as I said before. You hate Mr Potter, I always hear from other students how you always comment on how arrogant his father was, come on Severus, that was years ago and besides...."

A coughing sound coming from the headmaster, cut Poppy off and luckily just in time too as Severus would have lost all control and most likely blurted out the real reason behind his behavior towards the boy.

"I think that is a wonderful idea my boy, you will be a great guardian for the boy. The only question is, are you planning to take on permanent guardianship or temporary?" Albus asked

It was silent again in the study, but it didn't last as long as it did before. "Temporary, until September. Should give us time to find a more suitable guardian for Potter and at the same time, I can work on healing him so that he's ready to start his third year along with the rest of his classmates." Severus said with a confident tone.

Albus looked a little disappointed at the potions master's descion.

"Are you sure about that, Severus?" He asked, making sure he was hearing correctly and hoping the potions master changes his mind and decides on applying permanently.

Severus nodded after a moment of silence. Thinking before saying anything, he finally replied in a smooth tone, "yes headmaster, I'm sure."

The headmaster gave a small sigh. What have I done?

"Very well my boy, I will bring the papers tomorrow for you to sign."

Beside the headmaster, Poppy huffed. "You cannot be serious Albus. Severus hates Mr Potter..."

Albus put a hand up, automatically silencing the medi-witch.

"I know what you're trying to say Poppy, but I trust Severus with the boy's life..." that comment caused a strange warm feeling in Severus's chest at hearing that. "I know for a fact that he won't allow any more harm come to Harry and for that reason, I strongly believe Severus will be the right guardian for Mr Potter...."

The potions master didn't hear the rest of what Albus said as he was too caught up in his own thoughts. He thinks I'd be the best guardian for Lily's and James's son. He truly wondered what the boy's parents would think if they were here right now.

"Well, Severus, I do believe Poppy and I must take our leave now. I shall see you tomorrow afternoon with the guardianship papers." Albus said, bringing Severus out of his thoughts.

Severus gave a small nod in agreement to that. "Thank you headmaster and see you tomorrow afternoon" he got up from his armchair and walked over to the floo with his colleague and employer.

Albus flooed first, bidding both Poppy and Severus goodbyes before stepping into the green flames.

"I shall come by on Tuesday Severus to see how Mr Potter is, considering that is when he should hopefully wake from his coma...please, do not hesitate to contact me, should anything happen before then." Poppy pleaded, he rolled his eyes at her, but nodded.

"Do not worry Poppy, should something go wrong I promise I shall contact you straight away." The potions master promised, he then watched as his colleague disappeared through the floo.

Severus turned on his heels ready to leave the room and perhaps continue with brewing, but his elf, Lucy appeared just before him.

"Yes Lucy,what is it?" he questioned in a serious tone.

"Master Severus sirs dinner is ready for you's." She happily announced, then waited seeing if her master wanted anything else.

"Thank you Lucy, I shall be there shortly. I need you to check on Mr Potter for me and after that, I want you to go to Privet Drive to collect some of Potter's things from there and bring them back here." Severus ordered

Happy to be given another order, Lucy nodded eagerly. "Yes master Severus sir, I's will be back with young master's things." With that, she disappeared, leaving Severus to make his way to the dining room.

His stomach grumbled as he followed the scent of roast chicken and roast potatoes.

It was time for dinner.

******

Tuesday finally arrived and it was nearing the afternoon when Harry started showing signs of coming out of his coma. Lucy who had been ordered to watch the boy since her master had bought him to the manor two days ago, noticed small movements and quickly disappeared to where she knew her master would be.

"Master Severus sir, young master is waking up" Lucy squeaked, popping into her master's private potions lab.

Keeping his concentration on pouring the dreamless sleep into glass phials, the potions master instructed his elf. "Thank you Lucy, I shall be up momentarily. Fetch madam Pomfrey for me as she'll want to be in the room when Mr Potter wakes."

"Yes master Severus sir, I's will's be back with mistress medi-witch." With that, Lucy apparated out of the room followed by a loud POP.

Finishing up with pouring the potion into the last phial, Snape quickly screwed the lid shut and placed it in his pocket as he hurried out lab and up to the guestroom.

His ward was waking up.

Am I in heaven?

Maybe I'll be with my parents again.

Were the first couple of thoughts that popped into Harry's mind, as he could feel himself lying on something soft and warm, like how one would imagine lying on a cloud would feel.

"...he waking up? Poppy, I thought you said he woul..." A familiar male voice said, to Harry, the voice sounded almost worried.


"Shh Severus, he's waking up now." Another familiar voice said, this time it was a female voice.

Harry frowned in confusion. Who's Severus? Who's Poppy? and why are they here? The only Severus he knew was Severus Snape, dungeon bat of Hogwarts and Harry was a hundred percent sure, the man would not be there as he knew Snape hated him. Plus, the man probably wasn't dead.

"That's it Mr Potter, wake up. You're doing well child" the same female voice encouraged.

Harry flinched at first when he felt someone touching his hand, but shortly gave a relaxed sigh when he felt someone massaging his hand. He couldn't ever remember anyone doing that before. Only remembered seeing Petunia doing that with Dudley when he was ill...something he always wished she did for him when he was ill instead of locking him in his cupboard...he didn't want to remember that, so instead he focused on the gentle voice encouraging him to wake up and the caring hand that massaged his.

"Well done Mr Potter, you're doing a good job child. That's it Mr Potter, open your eyes, you can do it." repeated the same female voice.

Both the medi-witch and potions master watched as the boy's eyes slowly fluttered open and soon they were looking at confused emerald eyes.

For a moment, Severus was completely lost in those familiar emerald eyes. Lily's eyes...

"Where...where's my glasses?" a nervous voice startled the potions master out of his thoughts. The man reached into his robed pocket, the same one where he always keeps his wand.

"Terribly sorry Mr Potter..." Severus said, as he handed the boy his glasses, the potions master then continued, "I must have forgotten they were in my pocket"

Harry hesitated at first, not sure if it was a trick or not, but for the-boy-who-lived, he couldn't be sure whether to trust Snape or not. Didn't the man hate him just as much as the Dursleys do?

He never tried to physically hurt you though, did he? A voice inside his head answered back. still hesitant, Harry cautiously reached for his glasses. Relief washed over his face the moment he had them in his hand. It wasn't a trick. He thought as he slid them on his face, glad he could finally see again.

It always made him feel vulnerable when he didn't have his glasses as he couldn't see without them and it didn't help with memories of the Dursleys always teasing him, holding his glasses in his reach then took them away again before he could take them back, which would then be followed by a few slaps and shoved in his cupboard...

He shook his head, clearing his thoughts of the Dursleys. At the moment he didn't want to think about his relatives and so to distract himself, he decided to look at the room he was in.

A creamy painted wall with a navy blue carpet...he frowned again in confusion.

"W...where am I?" Harry nervously asked, seconds later, he panicked, remembering he wasn't allowed to ask questions and instinctively he raised his arms up to protect his face, waiting for the blow.

"...isn't here Mr Potter, you're fine child. It's just myself and Severus." Pomfrey said gently.

When the boy calmed enough, Poppy lowered her patient's arms away from his face while she quickly fished a calming draught out of her pocket. As a medi-witch, she always carried a phial or two when walking around Hogwarts. You never know when going to run into a student having a panic attack or something similar.

Harry swallowed the familiar tasting liquid. Remembering from last term and last year when he was in the hospital wing after defeating Voldemort, both times.

"..od boy Mr Potter...I need you to respond if you can hear me, child." Poppy calmly instructed

Harry gave a small nod. "Y...yes ma'am" he nervously responded, though he didn't know why. As annoying and firm as the healer was, she always made himself feel as if someone actually cared if he got better or not and she always made sure he ate everything on his plate.


"Well done Mr Potter, now I'm just going to use a diagnostic scan on you, making sure everything's fine." Poppy said gently

She waited for the boy to either nod or say 'yes' and when Harry nodded, Poppy got to work.

"Thank you Mr Potter, you did very well." Poppy said, putting her wand back in her pocket. She was pleased the boy didn't panic or anything similar. Turning to her colleague who had been silently standing in the corner, not wanting to distract the medi-witch from her job. "Severus, can I speak with you outside for a moment?" She asked in a tone that left no room to argue.

"Of course Poppy" Severus just said, giving a small nod. Turning to his ward, he just said, "I shall be back in a moment Mr Potter and I shall answer any questions you may have. For the time being, I suggest you rest" with that he walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Once the door was shut, Harry just stayed on his bed, staring at the door. Still confused and wondering where he was if he was not at Hogwarts or Ron's house. He also wondered why Snape was here and acting...less Snapeish? The man hadn't said anything snarky yet or belittling.

The boy sighed a little as he rested his head back on the pillow. Later, he would think about it, right now though, for the first time in almost two years since he started Hogwarts, he was going to listen to Snape for once and just rest.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3887