Everything Is Not What It Seems by RavenMooney
Summary: Severus Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, assumed he was going to have a relaxing summer, but that all changes when an upset Lily visits him in his dream needing his help to save her son.

Reluctantly Severus checks on Harry, discovering that all is not what it seems.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Canon, Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption, Injured!Harry, Kidnapped!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Physical Abuse, Profanity, Rape
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 95232 Read: 9828 Published: 30 Aug 2023 Updated: 22 Apr 2024
Chapter 3 Confessions & Rules by RavenMooney
It was nearly dinner time when Harry woke, this time though it was just from his rest. Weakly, the boy pushed himself up so that he was sitting up in bed. Automatically, Harry reached for his glasses, which were currently sitting atop the bedside table on the left side of the bed, sighing in relief when he could feel the familiar feel of his round rimmed glasses.

For the second time that day, Harry slid his glasses on, once that was done, he decided to have a look around the the room, maybe work out where he was, however there was nothing familiar about it, besides his broom and trunk...his heart stopped when he noticed something.

Where's Hedwig? Did unc...did Vernon kill her?

A silent tear or two rolled down Harry's face at that thought, to some people in both the Wizarding world and muggle world, Hedwig was just a pet or an owl, but to him, Hedwig was more than a familiar, she was his friend, the only friend who truly knew what his homelife was like during summer. She had been his only companion at the beginning last summer and the summer before first when Hagrid dropped him back home after his trip to Diagon Alley. More tears trickled down his cheeks as another thought occurred to the-boy-who-lived.

Who would I have to listen to me now? No one ever listens to me apart from Hedwig, no one ever cares about me in both the muggle world and wizarding world, all everyone cares about is the-boy-who-lived. Unlike his friends at Hogwarts, he was alone in the world, sort of like a stray dog. No one will ever love a worthless freak.

"Come now Mr Potter, I'm sure the room can't be that awful." Came a familiar silky voice, knowingly bringing the boy out of whatever thoughts had caused the tears on the boy.

Jerkily, Harry raised his head up, looking in the direction of where the voice came from, while quickly wiping his tears away with his black silk pyjama sleeve.

"Sor...sorry sir" Harry automatically said, sliding his glasses back on now that his eyes were free from tears.

""That is quite alright Mr Potter, I'm certain we can change this room to suit your preferences" Severus responded, attempting to lighten up the mood. He knew all too well what the boy was thinking when he walked in, as he also had similar thoughts the very first time he woke at his uncle's manor.

Recognising the man standing in the doorway, Harry instinctively raised both his hands protecting his face, as if expecting Snape to hit him, sure the man hadn't done so before, but after what his uncle had done...Harry was now mistrustful of every man. People can change. He thought bitterly.

Damn muggle man! Cursed Severus silently, already making his way over to the bed. Unlike Poppy, Severus preferred to use potions less as the calming draught can be very addictive if used all the time,besides, it was another way for him to gain the boy's trust, he wouldn't be able to do that with a calming draught.

Feeling the bed dip before him, Harry stiffened the moment he felt someone pulling him close. Heart thumping so loud as if it was going to pop out, Harry let out a panic scream of pleas, all the while kicking his legs at whoever his 'attacker' was.

"Potter, relax. You're safe here. No one's going to hurt you, you're uncle's not here." Severus said in a silky calm tone, repeating the words of comfort, while rubbing comforting circles on the boy's back. At first, it had been awkward for Severus, as he had not comforted anyone since that awful night when Lily and James were killed, but after a few minutes of doing so, it got easier and felt less awkward.

Muscles slowly relaxing, Harry eventually, but slowly opened his eyes. Cautiously, Harry lowered his arms from his face, settling them low enough to see, but high enough to be able to lift his arms up again to protect his face. He had expected to see a hand ready to strike or a fist ready to punch, but the only thing he saw was just black, nothing else. Harry frowned in confusion, wonderering who it could be, but for now he didn't care one bit who it was as this was the first time he could ever remember someone comforting him.

The Dursleys had never comforted him, and in primary school, there wad only one teacher called Mrs Drake, she was his year one teacher who knew about his life with the Dursleys and had tried to help, even if his relatives lied, saying he had told the school lies about them, Mrs Drake was the only teacher who still believed him, that was until she left the school a few years later, then he was back to hsving only just Arabella Figg hugging him, that was fine, just minus the feline smell from her cats.

Several minutes passed, when Harry tried to pull away, believing he had soaked up all the comfort from whoever the person was, but they didn't let go, just continued with rubbing comforting circles, the boy sighed, realising he was going to be stuck for awhile in the persons arms.

"It's alright Mr Potter, you don't have to get up just yet." Severus said, though he loosened his hold on the boy, now that he wasn't kicking his legs any more.

As he stayed sitting on the edge of the bed with his ward still in his arms, Severus wondered how those muggles could have treated a child so bad to cause a panic attack like the one Potter had earlier on.

Ten minutes later, the professor heard grumbling sounds and with hs free hand, the potions master took out his wand to cast a quick tempus charm. 5:45pm, dinner time.

Finally releasing his hold on Potter, Severus stood up from the bed, calling his house elf at the same time.

"Yes master Severus sir?" Lucy asked, seconds after Popping into the room.

"Bring a chicken ceasar salad, a bowl of chicken and mushroom soup with a buttered bread roll and two glasses of water, also a nutritive potion. That is all, thank you." Severus ordered

Lucy nodded. "Yes master Severus sir, I's will have dinner ready shortly." And with that, she popped out the bedroom again.

*****

Half an hour later, both guardian and ward received their dinner, Severus had mentally filed away Harry's eating habits, after noticing the boy waiting for him to start eating before he ate himself.

He held back a smirk, glad the boy didn't notice the nutritive potion in his chicken and mushroom soup.

"I believe you're still wondering where you are?" Severus finally asked in a casual silky tone, remembering Potter asking where he was the first time he woke from his coma.

Still confused as to why Snape was being...nice, Harry slowly nodded his head. Yes, I am still wondering where I am.

"Well...you are at Snape manor. It has been in the Snape family since the early 18th century, my fath...my father was the was the last known Snape until I was born, then when he died, I inherited this manor as I am now the only known Snape left." Severus explained

So...why am I here? Harry wanted to ask, knowing very well Snape hated him, but instead he decided to ask in a hesitant voice, "how...how long have I been here sir?"

"You have been here since early Sunday morning...headmaster Dumbledore asked me to check on you and when I found you in the condition you were in, I thought it best to bring you back here, with me where madam Pomfrey could heal you. It is now Tuesday early evening." Severus responded in an even tone.

Oh. Harry thought, still confused as to why he was at Snape's house, he guessed that it must have been Dumbledore's idea as well. Why else would I be here in Snape's house?

"Why...why am I here sir?" Harry finally asked in a small voice.

Confused, Severus frowned, leaning forward to place his empty salad bowl on the bedside table. "What do you mean?" The potions master leaned back in his armchair.

"You're house...why am I here sir? You...you hate me!" Harry asked again, in a small voice, though slightly raised towards the end.

Oh. Silence filled the room as the potions master wondered what to tell the boy. He had two choices,he could either tell a little white lie to the boy, telling him that Dumbledore didn't give him a choice, or he could just tell the boy the truth and say he had volunteered to become his guardian for the summer. Severus sighed, wondering why it felt so hard. Making up his mind, Severus decided to go with the former, though when he opened his mouth to speak, no sound came out as his coal black eyes locked with Emerald eyes staring back at him, waiting patiently for him to give an answer. "Lily." He accidentally whispered, not knowing his student, now ward heard him.

It was Harry's turn to frown. Why did Snape just say my mum's name? "Sir?" A small voice broke the potions master out of his thoughts.

"Oh, uh...I...I volunteered to become your guardian for the rest of the summer so that I can help you heal from what you've suffered at the hands of your relatives...the headmaster agreed with me, knowing that I have alot of experience in dealing with children who've been abused..."

"I haven't been abused." Harry cut in, without realising it.

"Then how do you explain the scars on your back Mr Potter if you haven't been abused, well?" Severus asked, purposely in a snarky tone. "Let me guess, the-boy-who-lived created those scars on purpose as a way to get more attention. As if you don't get enough attention already with your fame...is that it?" Harry shook his head, knowing Snape was well off. "No? Perhaps, your relatives didn't get you enough Christmas presents last December and so you decided to get them into trouble..." again, Harry shook his head. "No, then why do you have scars on your back Potter..." the boy flinched, "and why do you flinch when I call you Potter?"

"No...no, it was...it was my unc...it was Vernon, he...he hit me with his belt." Harry confessed, sniffling, not caring at all who he was telling.

Severus listened quietly to the boy still sitting on the bed, unknown to both of them, Lucy popped in, taking both trays of food with her and popped back out. His anger rising at what he was hearing. How dare they lock a child in a cupboard under the stairs as punishment or when they didn't want to look at him? why did Albus even think of leaving James's and Lily's son with those hearless muggles? Oh, I am going to have a serious talk with Albus next week about this. Is that why he never told me who he placed Potter with? So I wouldn't take the boy away from there and look after him as if he were my own.

Coming back to reality, Severus noticed Harry looking nervous. He let out a small sigh, of course he'd be nervous. He's just told his most hated professor his homelife. "Thank you for telling me that Mr Potter, knowing that will surely help me when it comes to healing you both physically and emotionally from the abuse you have suffered at the hands of your relatives. I will promise you this Mr Potter, anything you tell me confidentially, I will not say anything to anyone unless you allow me to do so. Will that be fine with you?"

Uncertain, Harry narrowed his emerald eyes at the potions master, nodding his head when seeing no sign of any lie.

"Good. Now as I was saying, I have had many experiences in dealing with abused children and with those experiences, I do know, you won't yet trust me, especially considering the way I treated you for the past couple of years at Hogwarts, but I promise you this Mr Potter, I will never hit you, beat you, starve you, lock you in a cupboard or touch you inappropriately like your relatives have done. I have never hurt a child and nor will I start now, especially a child of Lily's." This time Severus realised himself saying Lily's name, his heart stopped. Did I just say that out loud? Did Potter hear me?

Frowning in confusion, Harry wondered why Snape kept saying his mother's name. Were they friends?

"Sir, were you...were you um, friends with my mum?" Harry nervously asked, forgetting for a moment all about what his relatives had taught him at the age of four. 'Freaks like you, aren't allowed to ask silly questions.' That was the first and last time he had asked the Dursleys about his parents.

Well...there goes my cover. Severus thought, when the boy asked the question he had been dreading.

The potions master gave a small sigh, hoping he wasn't making the biggest mistake of his life, yes, he wanted to tell James's and Lily's son every memory he had of them before they were killed, but he didn't want the questions he knew the boy would no doubt ask afterwards, mainly the question which would be hard to find a truthful answer to, without being too truthful. Slowly, Severus nodded his head, responding to Potter's question.

"Yes, I was friends with your mother, ever since we met on the Hogwarts express at the start of our first year when we shared a compartment together, we remained friends up until her death..." Severus explained, wondering where to go from there. "When she was pregnant with you, she asked me to promise her something and I did...the promise I made to your mother was that I'd protect you should anything happen to her or your father, and ever since the Dark Lord targeted you, I helped in protecting you...I still am, which is another reason why I volunteered to become your guardian for the summer. If you would like, I shall tell you some stories about your mother, during your stay here?"

Excited, but still uncertain of this new Snape, Harry nodded. "Yes sir...I'd like that."

"Very well, I shall tell you some stories, but not right now as I need to discuss the rules with you..." Harry stiffened at the mention of rules, which didn't go unnoticed by Severus who mentally filed it away for anything similar in the future, then carried on with what he was going to say next. "The first rule is, I for all three meals, I expect to see you in the dining room trying to eat at least half you food instead of starving yourself as you are too underweight compared to your classmates, with breakfast and dinner I will give you a nutritive potion to take, you've already had some this evening when I asked Lucy to put a couple of drops into your soup. Breakfast is at 8:00am, lunch is at 12:30pm and dinner is at 6:00pm. Understood?" Severus said in his usual authorative tone he normally uses when teaching potions.

Thinking of what Snape said, Harry slowly nodded, uncertain of the rule, but didn't want to keep the man waiting. Sure, Snape might have been good friends with his mum, but Harry wasn't a fool, he knew rules could change in a blink of an eye. He learnt that while living with the Dursleys, who had always purposely changed the rules just so they had a chance of punishing him.

"Good. The second rule is, there will be no lying. If you have any problem at all, I want you to come to me, and if I ask you something because I suspect you're having a problem, I need you to answer me truthfully as I cannot help you if I don't know what's bothering you. Promise?"

Frowning in confusion at that rule, Harry hesitantly nodded, which caused Severus to sigh.

"Do not nod your head if you are uncertain of what I say as it will lead to trouble for the both of us, also a verbal answer if you please, Mr Potter." Severus said in a stern tone.

"Yes sir, I...I promise." Harry said, still hesitant.

Nodding in response, Severus continued with his rules. "The third rule is, you may wonder anywhere you like, just not pass the wards outside, any rooms that are either closed or locked, you may not wonder into them, as they still some have dangerous items in them thst belonged to my...father. You may, use the library on the third floor, and you may borrow books from there if you are interested, but I expect any books that are taken out of the library to be put back...the only shelf you are not take books from is the top, which I have already warded, so do be careful of those wards. My lab, you are also not allowed to enter unless I am in there and have given you permission as I could be in the middle of brewing something dangerous if disturbed, my bedroom is also off limits, but should you need anything at all and I am in there, I want you to knock first and I should come see what's wrong, even if it's just nightmares, I want you to come get me. Alright?"

Again, Harry hesitated before nodding. He wasn't sure about this rule or the last rule as he was used to dealing with problems by himself. He wasn't sure what to do, as Snape could turn out like the Dursleys if he went to the man with a single problem. Aunt Petunia laughed at him when he went to her about Dudley and his gang, that was the first and last time he ever went to anyone for help.

"Now, the fourth and final rule is you will keep this room, which will be your room for the summer, tidy. That is all you have to clean. Is that fins for you?" Severus said, cutting through Harry's thoughts.

Harry nodded at that, glad Snape wasn't going to work him like a house elf, but he was still hesitant as the rule could change where he had to work like a house elf.

"Very well, now the punishments..." Harry flinched at the last word, and again it didn't go unnoticed by Severus who mentally filed it away for any other future incidences. "Should I catch you breaking any of these rules, I will take your broom away...depending on the situation, if you happen to put your life into danger, then I will give you a list of chores to do for the week and again your broom will be taken away. Is that clear?"

"Ye...yes sir" Harry said, understanding Snape's serious tone.

"That is good. Tomorrow, I shall give you a tour of the manor if you are up to it." Severus offered, receiving a nod and a small 'yes sir' from the boy. "Very well. Now, what are you interested in doing now?" He asked, in case the boy wanted to do something instead of just sleeping.

Looking around the room, Harry's eyes landed on a small bookshelf standing beside his broom...that was when he remembered his owl again...blinking back tears, the boy looked up at Snape. "Where's Hedwig sir? my...my owl." He asked nervously

Ah, that's what those tears were afrom. Severus thought, following Potter's gaze. "your owl is perfectly fine Mr Potter...she's currently being taken care of by Hagrid, due to the broken wing I discovered when my elf came back with her. Do not worry about her, she'll be fine. in fact, I have been brewing some potions for Hagrid to give to her so she can heal and be back here with you" Severus casually replied

Harry nodded at that. Looking back at the bookshelf, he asked Snape if he could just read a book. Nodding, letting the boy know he could read a book, with his wand, Severus accioed an interesting book from the shelf he thought the boy might be interested in reading.

"Oh, thank you sir...I...I love this book." Harry said in a small voice when receiving the book now in his hand. The title of the book read, Charlie and the chocolate factory. A book, Harry had read more than once during his time at primary school when he used to hide out in the library, away from Dudley and his gang.

Raising an eyebrow at the boy in surprise, Severus asked, "you've read that before?"

"Yes sir...more than once." Harry said and again it was in a small voice.

Surprised, Severus held back the smile. He knew Lily had an interest in reading, but James on the other hand hated reading, he would only read if he had nothing else to do and he and Lily were reading themselves in the Hogwarts library. Guess the boy is more like Lily than James.

"Your mother gave that book to me, as a twelfth birthday present...I have kept it in good condition ever since." Severus said, struggling at first to say what he had finally said.

Still confused with this new Snape, Harry nodded in response, hearing the unasked question. "I'll take good care of it sir." He said, glad, but also confused as to why Snape was allowing him to borrow his book if it was that old...the Dursleys never trusted him with their possessions. He remembered one time when he tried to play with Dudley's toys. Aunt Petunia just said, 'freaks aren't allowed to hplay with nice toys' she then handed him Dudley's broken toy, before locking him in his cupboard under the stairs.

"That is all I ask...now, I shall leave you be as I have some potions to brew, but I shall come check on you before bed...if you need the bathroom, it is just outside, on the right as you step out into the hallway, be sure to ask Lucy to help you for now as you will struggle with walking, my room is just across the hall from this room. Alright?" Severus said, standing up from his armchair.

Harry nodded, watching as Snape left the room. It wasn't until he was alone again when he gave a small sigh as he opened up his favorite book to the first chapter. Perhaps this summer might be good after all.

******

Later that same night barely a few hours after Harry dozed off while in the middle of reading Charlie and the chocolate factory, the boy woke up screaming, in a cold sweat, gasping for air and shivering all of a nightmare he never wanted to have ever again.

Before he could decide on doing anything else, a wave of nausea hit the insides of the boy, as soon as the sickening feeling passed, the boy let out a relieved breath, glad he wouldn't be sick. At least that will be one less thing to make un...un...uncle Vernon angry. With that thought, the boy shivered again, this time from fear. Without a second of hesitation, Harry fumbled in the dark room for the lamp switch, switching it on the moment he managed to find it.

Emerald fearful eyes darted around the room and even though everything was blurry without his glasses on, Harry let out another relieved, but nervous breath he had forgotten he was holding in. I'm....I'm not, it...it was only a nightmare. The boy thought, deciding now was probably the best time to look for his glasses, however, instead of doing just that, Harry felt another wave of nausea hit, this time though in a matter of seconds he found himself leaning over the side of the bed, vomiting up what he had last eaten. Dinner.

Popping into the room unknown to the young Gyffindor, Lucy, due to being a house elf, her magic, since she's bound to her master, she was also bound to whatever house her master lived in. Meaning if there was a mess somewhere in the manor, she'd feel a tingling feeling and finding herself being apparated to the room that now needed cleaning. Upon arriving into the room, Lucy, seeing the young master Harry Potter being sick, she popped back out, knowing what she needed to do.

Severus entered the room not a minute too soon, pausing in his steps when he spotted his ward vomiting over the side of the bed. For a moment or two, the professor wasn't sure how to actually go on.

Sure he's comforted many sick children due to them either being homesick or among many other reasons, but they were his students, his snakelets, but the young Grffindor who he used to be so familiar with before that dreadful Halloween night, he didn't know what to do or how to proceed. Here he was being given a second chance with the boy, with Lily's and James's son, the boy who he had been fond of once upon a time, the boy who he had verbally bullied during the boy's past couple of years at Hogwarts for several reasons and now he was standing there in the doorway, feeling worried that he might mess his second chance up.

Turns out Severus didn't need to decided as his feet already decided for him and now he suddenly found himself standing by the bed, wearing a confused look, the boy would have seen if he was able to focus, wondering how he had somehow managed to get from the door to the side of the bed. Coming out of his thoughts, the professor realized the boy was speaking in a hurried, nervous voice and at the same time, the young Gryffindor was trying to scramble out of bed.

"I'm....I'm sorry sir I....I....I can cle....." Knowing exactly what the boy was trying to say, Severus interrupted him.

"Mr Potter, there is no reason to apologize, you did nothing wrong....as for cleaning up, you will do no such thing. You are not a house elf" Severus said in a firm tone as he put a guiding hand on the boy, stopping the child from his weak attempts at getting out of bed while ignoring the flinch. Slowly, Severus withdrew his hand, after giving the boy a stern look, only to notice right then that Potter still didn't have his glasses. Glancing over at the bedside table where Potter's glasses sat atop, the professor picked them up and handed them over to the boy, who was in the middle of wiping the remains off of his face with his black silk sleeve, belonging to a pair of pajamas that Severus had leaned to the boy. Rolling his black eyes upwards, the professor knew that he would also need to teach the boy some proper manners. Blasted muggles! "Your glasses Mr Potter, you can take them off when you go back to sleep, but right now you will most likely need them....now, you are not to leave this bed for the rest of the evening and as it is late, you will rest...."

"But...." The nervous Gryffindor started again and for the second time, Severus interrupted.

"As I have said less than twelve hours ago that should you need anything, you are to call either for me or Lucy, the same rule applies at night time....now if you want, I can offer you some stomach soother, a potion which will prevent you from getting sick again." The potions master offered

Fear clearly was clearly showing in the boy's emerald eyes. the young Gryffindor shook his head, as if to clear whatever thoughts he had been thinking and in a small voice he responded, "I'm....I'm fine sir"

Black eyes narrowed at the Emerald eyed boy, Severus knew with out a doubt the boy was lying and was sorely tempted to use ligilimens on his ward, however just as quick as that thought arrived, it left the professor's mind....at least for the time being.

With a small sigh in which the boy thought the professor was angry or fed up with him, started panicking again. Badly wanting to curse the muggles into the next century, Severus said in the same firm tone, however it was also a gentle tone.

"There is no reason to worry Mr Potter, I am not angry with you....I just know that you are lying to me which we have already discussed earlier on over dinner." Severus paused here, thinking of how to go on. Seeing the boy was about to respond, he held up a hand, instantly stopping the boy from opening his mouth. "Now, I know that you did not just throw up for no reason and I would like to know why so I can prevent it from happening again, however I cannot do so unless you promise to be truthful with me." Severus let his words sink into the boy, giving sometime for his ward to think before responding.

At first the potions master could only see fear and nervousness in the boy's eyes and Severus wondered what could be going through his ward's mind right now. A small hesitant nod was the only thing Severus received from the young Potter boy and the potions master, considering how late it was, decided to let it go, just for tonight, however the boy would have to give verbal answers starting from the morning that was slowly creeping round the corner.

"Very well, now....were you feeling, perhaps ill by any chance Mr Potter?" The potions master decided to ask.

On the bed, Harry thought about Snape's question, wondering why he had been sick. Maybe it was cause of the nightmare I had. Soon enough, Harry felt sick again at the reminder of his reccent nightmare. He knew now, why he had been sick all over....his eyes went wide once again with fear, thinking the man will be angry with him and if he wasn't angry, he knew without a doubt the man would look at him, the same way his own relatives always do whenever he had been ill or had a nightmare. Hesitantly, Harry glanced up at the potions master, seeing no anger in the man's facial expression, he wasn't sure whether or not to tell the truth, or just not give an answer at all.

Giving a small shake of his head, the Gryffindor had finally made up his mind and in a truthful voice, Harry responded, "no sir" knowing the man can't hit or punish him if he wasn't lying, which he wasn't. Ha, you're far from the truth Snape. I was right, this summer's going to be oka....

"....a nightmare perhaps?" Severus asked, the next and most likely reason that had popped into his mind, knowing full well that it was not homesickness and being the head of Slytherin, you're bound to have students feeling or being sick after a nightmare of their abusive families or traumatic experiences. With confidence the potions master glanced down at the boy and he knew he had hit the nail with that question.

"N...n...no sir" The boy quickly shook his head, after coming out of his own fearful thoughts.

Giving the boy an incredulous look Severus knew the boy was lying. "Mr Potter, I do hope you remember our conversation earlier this even at dinner and also a mere...." Taking out his wand, the professor muttered the Tempus charm so he could have a look at the time. 4:14 am. "Seven minutes ago....now as I know that you've had a nightmare which resulted to you being ill, I will give you some dreamless sleep." Severus finished in a calm tone, his black eyes looking at the boy with a stern expression that left no room for arguments. His wand still in hand, the potions master summoned a phial of dreamless sleep from his lab.

A flash of stubbornness crossed the boy's face and underneath was what Harry was truly feeling right now. Fear and mistrust of the man before him. Sure he said he was friends with my mum, but that doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly trust him. Aun....Harry swallowed thickly, thinking about the times his aunt had treated him like trash. Petunia was mum's sister and look what she did. Shaking his head at that reminder of what is aunt recently did, Harry knew that it wasn't her fault. It's my fault, I'm a freak so she left along with Dudley.

Harry was pulled out of his thoughts when something came flying into the room and landing in Snape's hand. Stiffening, the boy was reminded of what had led him to those thoughts, stubbornly, he shook his head at the man.

"N...n...no sir, I'm....I'm fine. I...I don't need any potion" Harry said, his voice laced with stubbornness, "sir" he finished, truly not wanting to drink any dreamless sleep potion right now. After the events of both the Chamber of secrets and the philosopher's stone, Madam Pomfrey had given him some of the potion which made the drinker sleep like the dead, he knew that he wouldn't wake up and it would give Snape a chance to do anything to him if he was out like the dead.

A shiver ran down the boy's spine as images of what he feared Snape could easily do to him if he wanted to with that chance. He flinched back when he heard the professor speak.

"Mr Potter, is....is everything alright?" Snape asked and Harry frowned in confusion, certain that the professor's tone was laced with concern, however he shook that thought away.

Why would Snape be concerned. He hates me. Harry thought, shaking his head again, this time at the professor. "I'm fine" was all he responded with.

Silence followed his response and Harry instinctively felt that he should raise his arms so they were protecting his face from any blows that were sure to come his way. With a nervous glance Harry looked up at the potions master only to squirm under the studying look that Snape was giving him, the same way he normally looks at a student's potion or when he's marking essays.

"If nothing is wrong then, drink the potion" Harry heard the head of Slytherin say in a no nonsense tone. For some unknown reason to Harry he looked up at the man, this time, pleading in silence, pleading he wouldn't have to take the potion. Unfortunately the man asked again how he was feeling and Harry again replied saying he was fine, which he wasn't. "Mr Potter, it is late, I am tired and I have no doubt that you are as well. If you do not drink the potion yourself, I shall have to spell it into your stomach....however, this conversation won't be over as we will be discussing this in the morning when we've both had some decent sleep." The professor said, this time in a threatening tone that left no room for arguments, which Harry knew all too well from the previous couple of years and so he gave a small sigh and with a shaky hand, Harry nervously took the phial that Snape had uncorked himself.

Reluctantly Harry drank the potion and tiredness quickly took over when he had swallowed the right amount of dreamless sleep that Snape had instructed, the boy's emerald eyes were now droopy, ready to close any second. Now that he was feeling too tired, Harry didn't react when the professor's hand came into view, taking the phial from him without any hesitation. His body hadn't even stiffened and his thoughts were slowly lessening.

Standing by the bed Severus pocketed both his wand and the phial, after recorking the potion which looked as if it had yet to be used as the boy had only drank a couple of drops. The professor glanced down at his ward who was now sleeping and for a moment the man stood their, quietly, making sure Potter was fully asleep before slipping the boy's glasses back off, as he had done so earlier on in the evening as well as early Sunday morning when he had first bought the unconscious Gryffindor to the manor. He shook his head, not wanting to think about that as he himself did not want to take dreamless sleep and he knew very well that if he didn't occlude well and allow his mind to wonder off to memories of students in the past who've been abused as well as the boy who was currently sleeping in his guest room, he would most likely get memories of his own childhood come back to haunt him in a nightmare.

The professor yawned which he took as his cue to leave the room, however before turning to the bedroom door, the man's black eyes looked down at the boy and without a thought, a traitorous hand belonging to Severus, moved towards the boy and his long slender fingers ran through the wet messy raven black hair for a short while until he soon realized what he was doing. QUickly, without thought, the professor withdrew his hand away, glaring down at it as though it was the Dark Lord himself. Turning back round in a forty five degree angle, Severus headed towards the door. Not looking back, he left the room, crossed the hallway and over to his own bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

Once Potter has physically healed fully, Albus can take him. Severus thought, calming himself down before a panic attack started all by using occlumency. With his breathing back under control within a few minutes, the professor thought back to his last thoughts concerning the boy and knew that right there and then that he agreed with them. He now knew that he definitely wasn't going to keep Potter for the entire summer.

Albus or I had better find a suitable home for Lily's child before August. Were the last thoughts of the potions master before succumbing to sleep.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3887