Everything Is Not What It Seems by RavenMooney
Summary: Severus Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, assumed he was going to have a relaxing summer, but that all changes when an upset Lily visits him in his dream needing his help to save her son.

Reluctantly Severus checks on Harry, discovering that all is not what it seems.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Canon, Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption, Injured!Harry, Kidnapped!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Physical Abuse, Profanity, Rape
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 95232 Read: 9857 Published: 30 Aug 2023 Updated: 22 Apr 2024
Chapter 7 P.T.S.G. by RavenMooney
‘Antidote to Mistletoe Berry poison’

Severus could be found once again sitting in the armchair he had yet to transfigure back into a book, quietly reading a potions monthly magazine. A magazine that contains brewing instructions for a variety of different potions, new and old. The latest news of potions, either of the yearly potions conference or the next big potions master/mistress. The Hogwarts' professor smirked, knowing that he still holds the record of being the youngest potions master of the century.

Right now, he was reading the clear brewing instructions for the antidote to Mistletoe Berry poison, a known common toxic poison from the none berry parts, which, if eaten in small quantities isn't as serious and the person will most likely receive an upset stomach, whereas the potion, containing higher quantities of the none berry parts, will affect the unlucky drinker. Including; Vomiting, diarrhea, convulsing, shivers, fever, low pulse, visual disturbances, choking and eventually death.

‘Ingredients

6 diced mistletoe berries
2 drops of morning dew
1 powdered unicorn horn.....6 diced mistletoe ber......’
Well, trying to read.
Severus rolled his eyes, rebuking himself for losing concentration.....again.
Concentrate Severus, concentrate only on the list of ingredients for the potion you have yet to brew.
‘6 diced mistletoe berries.....
2 drops of morning dew
1 powdered unicorn horn
5 drops of blood (patient's blood type)
2 shredded aspho.....’

With sharp bat like hearing that the potions master is known to have by the students of Hogwarts, the professor heard the tell-tale signs of Potter waking up.

“Don't even think about leaving that bed Pott.....Mr Potter” Severus said from behind his magazine when he could hear the boy sitting up. He put closed his magazine, placing it down on the bedside table.

Leaning back comfortably in his chair, the potions master thought about what he was going to say. Of course, he had it planned out in his head, but as the hours ticked by and he was busy reading his magazine about different potions, well, the choice of words he had been planning to have with his ward just, slipped to the far back of his mind.

Noticing the boy squirming, Severus hardened his glare. Purposely taking his time to process his thoughts.
Good, let him squirm. It's not like I have anywhere to be right now.

"Mr Potter," Severus started in a silky tone, leaning forward in the chair. Reigning in his Snape temper as much as he could, he continued, still using his silky tone. "What might I ask, possessed you to use the glamour charm, under my roof, without my knowledge, when you very damn well know that you aren't supposed to use your wand?”

He had thought the boy would take ages with his response, maybe a cocky, arrogant reply about being the-boy-who-lived, but once again, it seemed he was mistaken about the young Gryffindor.

Glamours, sir?” A confused Potter asked, tilting his head slightly to the side.

Severus stared at the boy, assuming he was playing with him, but from the looks of it, he didn't see anything wrong in the boy's emerald eyes. No signs of a lie.

Hmm, maybe accidental magic? That was possible.

In a calmer tone, Severus spoke, “forgive me Mr Potter, but do you honestly not know what a glamour charm is?”

Potter shrugged, nodding his head in response to the professor’s question, “no sir, I....” the boy blushed a little red from embarrassment,

“that is fine, Mr Potter, as surprising as it may sound to you, but I believe you” Severus said in an even tone, finishing off of what Potter was saying. He decided to tell explain what the glamour charm was to the boy, when he was finished, he knew that Potter would at least have some idea of why his accidental magic kicked in, so he continued to push a little further until he got something out of the boy that he could work on and hopefully heal Lily's son. "The glamour charm, Mr Potter, is a spell that is taught at Hogwarts in seventh year, when the students can be trusted and more mature with not using the spell to hide certain things from us, their professors, the ones who are in still in charge of their welfare......I do believe, Mr Potter, that you had unintentionally used the glamour charm, without knowing that was it.....accidental magic. What I want to know is why your accidental magic kicked in and provided you with the charm? And I believe only you know the answer to that.”

The boy shrugged his shoulders again, drawing his knees up to his chest and wrapping his arms tightly around them, his chin resting atop of his knees.

“I.....I don't know, sir” he shook his head,

Holding in a sigh, Severus decided to push a little further, hoping the boy would give in and tell him at least one thing. He shot the boy another hard glare. Control, Severus, control. “You're lying to me Mr Potter, shall I remind you of the rules?” Severus silkily said

Potter shook his head, “no sir,”

“Then tell me the truth”

There was a long pause, and the potions master was just about to give up with finding out the cause of Potter's accidental magic releasing, using glamour charms to cover the boy's body from head to toe, making it look as if the boy's wounds and bruises had never been there, that was until earlier on today when the boy collapsed, resulting in the glamour charm to fall, shocking both Severus, Colleen, Poppy and even Lucy.

“Stayedupallnigh’to......tostopmyselfrom.....fromhavin'nightmares” mumbled Potter, a little too much for Severus's liking.

“what was that Mr Potter? You were mumbling. Repeat what you said, but this time, speak clearly!” Severus calmly said

Yes, it was true, to some extent that he had very good hearing and could almost understand and hear every word the students said, that many students believe him to have bat-like hearing. In some aspects that worked well for Severus, but other times, when children mumble, like how Potter just mumbled, then that was a problem because, he can barely make out one word.

A reluctant sigh drew Severus back to the conversation.
“I....I purposely stayed up all....all night, sir, to um, stop myself from having.....nightmares” the last word was said in almost a whisper, luckily or unluckily for Potter, Severus heard the words clearly.

Something clicked in Severus's brain, he pursed his lips. So that's why my alarms didn't go off. The foolish boy was staying up all night.....Severus's jaw clenched tight. Was the boy feigning sleep, then? Deciding he wanted to know this, Severus cut straight to the point.

"You were feigning sleep, weren't you?" He bluntly asked, giving the boy another hard glare. Potter hesitated before slowly nodding his head, looking much guiltier than before.

"Yes sir" mumbled Potter,

Severus held back from allowing his eyes roll. Merlin, the boy's more Slytherin than my snakelets. He smirked a little, wondering what Lily and James would think of their son for being able to out-Slytherin a Slytherin. Even I hadn't been able to pull off feigning sleep whenever my father came into my room, foul tempered, either after a fight with mother, or just arriving back from a Death Eater meeting. The smirk faded just as quickly as it had appeared, Severus only just realising why that was. Not even a teenage and the boy's been through so much. He thought, recalling everything the child has gone through so far in almost ten years since James and Lily died.

Turning back to the situation, Severus locked eyes with the nervous looking boy.

Good, he should be nervous.

"You do realise, Mr Potter that feigning sleep is just the same as lying to me, don't you?" Severus asked silkily
The boy shook his head, and Severus decided, that just this once, he would allow a none verbal response. "Good, then you won't be opposed to my punishment that I give you, when you are able to get out of bed, of course."

*****

Shocked, Harry looked at the potions master, as he listed what punishment he would be given when Madam Pomfrey finally deems him able to leave the bed. He dared not say anything, knowing by now that he would be in more trouble than he already was. But really, he reasoned with himself, what was I to do except for feigning sleep? I was certainly not going to go tell Snape that I had a nightmare about.....about......he shivered, closing his eyes and taking a deep calming breath before he lost complete control of himself.

"Do you understand, Mr Potter?"

Having heard all of what Snape had said, Harry slowly nodded. "Ye.....yes sir"

"Good.....what, might I ask, was or were your nightmare/nightmares about?" Snape bluntly asked,

The young Gryffindor shook his head, tightening his arms around his legs. He didn't want to talk about it. Not right now. "Don'twanttotalkaboutit" the boy mumbled into his knees.

Snape nodded, letting out a sigh. "That is fine. I will not pressure you talk about them, right now, if you do not want to, but we will in the near future, talk about them....."
There was a long pause, and Harry glanced up, about to ask if he can be alone right now. However, Snape started speaking again, before Harry could pluck up enough courage to ask.

"Now, as Madam Pomfrey has already spelled a few healing potions into you when you had collapsed from fatigue, I cannot offer you any dreamless sleep potion. But, if you would like Mr Potter, I can stay here until you fall asleep. Will that be acceptable?"

Thinking about what the potions master said, Harry shrugged, not at all sure what he wanted. No, he certainly didn't want Snape to stay in the room, the man would probably......no, Harry shook his head, not wanting to think about that thought. Getting his breathing under control, Harry shortly heard an unusual gentle version of Snape's voice in the distance of his mind as his breathing slowly evened out.

"….... you some time to think about it. Right now, I believe it is time for dinner."

From the bed, Harry watched as Snape flicked his wand and two trays of food arrived in the room, he frowned, wondering why Snape didn't just call Lucy, like he usually does. However, he didn't ask, not wanting to give Snape any reason to belittle him or mock him for being the-infamous-boy-who-lived.

"Eat.....you need to build up your strength if you want to be out of that bed before the end of this week." A gentle voice encouraged from his left.

Harry nodded in response, looking down at the tray that had appeared on his lap. He grimaced, already feeling sick just looking at it. A bowl of chicken and vegetable broth with a slice of buttered sodabread on a plate, along with a glass of milk. Wanting to refuse to eat and tell Snape that he wouldn't be able to eat it, Harry, ignoring that idea as well as the churning feeling in his mind as the smell of the broth assaulted his nose. He swallowed, deciding to follow Snape's order.

A few small spoonful's later, had Harry's stomach churning like a volcano ready to explode, he nervously glanced up at the professor who was half way finished with his own meal.....grilled salmon and brown rice with steamed vegetables, it looked a lot appeasing to Harry than his own food. He averted his eyes back to his dinner when Snape glanced across at him.

Deciding that he was thirsty, Harry picked up the glass of milk taking small sips. Shaking a little, the boy put glass of milk back down on the tray, least he accidentally spilled some on the duvet, beads of sweat dripped down his pale looking flushed face. A wave of nausea washed over Harry, who again glanced nervously at Snape.

Luckily for the boy, Severus picked up on the boy's look. He nodded his head at the boy. "That is fine Mr Potter. Just like last week, you do not have to eat as much until you eventually become used to stomaching more in you......." There was a long pause, "I am guessing the reason why you haven't been gaining any weight, is because you were constantly vomiting your food back up after each meal. Weren't you?"

Potter hesitated before nodding his head.

"Why?"

The boy shrugged his shoulders in response. Sighing, he responded, "…...nightmares"

Severus's facial expression changed to a thoughtful look, which quickly vanished into a stoic expression. "Do you.....do you want to talk about it?" The potions master paused, thinking of the many times when talking about nightmares would help. Of course, it depended on whether the person who is trying to heal from a traumatic experience trusted anyone or not. He glanced at the boy, trying to think of anyone who Potter trusted most, aside from Weasley and Granger. They were simply children. What Potter needs is an adult he can go to when he has problems that he nor his friends can solve. Like Minerva for example, as the boy's head of house, she would need to establish some sort of trust with all her lions.....he grimaced, remembering the fact that due to her being quite busy with both being a head of house and assistant headmistress, she had not been able to find out about the boy's home life situation and knowing that she probably is all the way in America, visiting her great-niece, until August, she probably still doesn't know about the boy's home life. "It will help" he added, knowing full well what the boy's answer will be.

He wasn't proved wrong. Not even a second after he had said those words, Potter shook his head at him, not wanting to talk about his nightmare or nightmares, leaving Severus stumped. He sighed, taking out his wand to banish both trays away.

Not sure what to do now, eventually the man took out his wand, with a flick of his wrist a granite wizards chessboard appeared, floating in between both Severus and his ward. Glancing over at Potter's shocked expression, Severus allowed a little smirk to form on his lips.

"Black or white?" Was all he asked, indicating with his head at the chessboard. Potter, took less than a few moments to decide what colour he wanted to play as.

"um....I'm not very good at chess, sir" Potter responded, sounding unsure.

Severus shrugged his shoulders, he smirked again. "Consider it your lucky day.....or evening, Mr Potter, you're playing against the head of Slytherin. I can teach you some Slytherin moves."

There was a long pause, the potions master watched the boy's facial expression changing to a few different emotions.
"Black, sir?" The boy finally responded, still sounding a little unsure with a hint of nervousness laced in his voice.

Severus just nodded his head, "that is fine Mr Potter......" he told the boy in a gentle tone, in an attempt to get the boy to relax a little, s little disappointed that he couldn't be black, but at the same time he was surprised as he had thought the boy would have wanted to play as white......many people who aren't that good at chess, in his experience, tend to choose white, thinking they have the fair advantage if they start first. "Pawn to E3" he commanded in a confident tone, smirking a little, he had many tricks up his sleeve when it came to chess, but this was his favourite, as it was quick, but hard for the beginners.

The white pawn obediently moved from his current square, up to two squares across the granite surface, stopping when it reached E3. Thus, starting the game.

"Knight to C6" Potter ordered the black knight, after some time thinking about his next move, the knight nodded, moving diagonally from his previous space on the board (B8) to the ordered square.

The two wizards played chess for over half an hour with both Harry's chess pieces and Snape, giving him advice on certain moves, asking him if he was sure if the move he had initially wanted a chess piece to go was alright, when he didn't understand the advice the chess pieces gave to him, Snape would give him some friendly advice. Another thing that would happen, while they were playing, Snape would calmly ask Harry some questions, while the boy was thinking of his next moves or where to command his pieces, getting small surprising bits of information from the boy. Like for instant, Snape now knew that Harry would have been in Slytherin if it wasn't for Draco Malfoy, Hagrid or Ron, he also found out that the Dursleys had never treated Harry well at all since Dumbledore had first left him there as a baby.

Harry subconsciously mentioned to Snape that his cousin, Dudley had been very spoiled growing up, getting everything, he wanted. The young lion said stuff about aunt Marge, Vernon Dursley's older sister, who always has many bad words to say about the lion's parents, when she knew damn well that he, Harry was listening in to the conversation. The tree incident of Harry hiding up in a tree like a cat, from Marge's dog, Ripper, for many hours until one of the neighbours had enough, yelling at them to shut he dog up.
Some information that Snape was trying to worm out of Harry while he was busy thinking of his next move, was stuff to do with the past two events that had happened at Hogwarts since Harry's first year, but Harry, though distracted, didn't tell Snape anything, keeping his mouth closed. Mentally refusing to tell Snape who the culprit was that had stolen potions ingredients from the man's cupboard. There was no way he would rat out Hermione like that. I'm not Dudley. Harry thought, stubbornly keeping his mouth shut when Snape pushed, having to fight back on letting a smile form on his lips, when Snape sighed and gave up on trying to find out the miscreant-who-stole-from-him.

The same couldn't be said for when Snape asked who had purposely chucked a filibuster firework in Goyle's cauldron last school year, Harry had guiltily averted his eyes down to the floor, biting his bottom lip nervously, waiting for the yelling to start, waiting for the snarky git to yell at him to send him packing back to the Dursleys. Instead, Snape, just glared at him, giving him a mild, but serious lecture for a good five minutes or so, telling about how dangerous and reckless it was to do that and that many of the students could've been seriously hurt, making Harry feel even more guiltier about his actions. Harry glanced back up at Snape, picking up enough courage to do so, flinching at the glare sent his way, eventually, Snape softened his glare, telling him in a gentle tone, to carry on playing. Harry did, of course, after nervously apologising to the man, knowing how foolish of an idea it was to purposely exploding a cauldron with many people in the room, even if it had been quite funny at first, seeing the Slytherins faces swell up like balloons.

"Pawn to F6" Harry said, without thinking, the black pawn stayed where it was, and the many chess pieces that Harry had left, were giving him confusing advice, telling him not to send the pawn to that square. Snape as well asked Harry if that was a wise move, and Harry shrugged, a little unsure and confused. It was just a move, wasn't it?

He glanced up at the potions master who was fighting hard not to smirk, confused, Harry looked down at the chess board, trying to see why both Snape and his chess pieces thought it was such a bad move, trying to decipher what would happen if he went through with his move. He couldn't see the problem that everyone else could see, and so he shrugged, in response.
"um, yes sir" he nodded, befe he again commanded his pawn to move to F6.

The pawn, dejectedly sighed, as if he was walking to his death, he obediently moved up one space, stopping on F6.
Snape, commanded his own chess piece, his white bishop, from the square (C4) diagonally across the granite surface up to F7. Harry felt foolish at that point, now seeing why he should have listened to the potions master and his pieces. He scowled across at Snape when the man claimed checkmate. Sneaky Slytherin.

"I thought you were meant to be teaching me, not winning,” was all he asked without thinking, remembering to add, "sir?” at the end.

The potions master smirked, "I said that I would help you, wish I was doing, but I never said that I would let you win"
Frowning, Harry nodded, timidly asking the professor if they could play again. This time asking if he could be play as white. Snape nodded, after whipping out his wand to check the time, saying that they can only play for half an hour only, then it would be time to call it a day. Reluctantly, Harry nodded, though he did tell Snape that he wasn't at all tired, reminding the man that he had been sleeping for a few hours.

"You weren't sleeping Mr Potter, you were unconscious for a few hours, due to the lack of sleep and energy levels you had......if you were a muggle, you would have been either dead or in a coma.....again" the professor said seriously, "besides, while you were out of it, Madam Pomfrey and myself, decided that it is best if you have a bed time until you fully recover, emotionally."

Harry wanted to protest, but Snape stopped him, putting up a hand.

"No! I will not have you arguing with me Mr Potter, not now that I know you are currently going through P.T.S.G,” at the boy's confused look at this, Severus had to remind himself that Potter was raised by muggles....well, beasts, and that he is still learning about the wizarding world. “P.T.S.G, Mr Potter is a wizarding form of the muggle condition, P.T.S.D, which wizards and witches can and will have both, after being in a traumatic experience. P.T.S.G, stands for Post traumatic stress glamours, where the wizard or witch will unintentionally apply glamours on themselves through their accidental magic when they are trying to hide marks on their body that they don't want anyone to see, for all sorts of reasons. You, Mr Potter did just that, without even knowing it, which means I had no idea that you weren't stomaching your food fully or sleeping as I should have known. Nor were your wounds healing, which has set us back a little with your healing process.....something we shall remedy together Mr Potter”

Potter's mouth formed in an O shape after being told what P.T.S.G was about and that he could very well have that condition.

"Do you understand? Good. Now, did you want to play again or did you want to continue arguing with me, on not being tired and not needing a bedtime since you aren't a child anymore?"
Slowly, Harry nodded his head, knowing that it would be foolish to argue with the potions master. He didn't know how long he would have to be at Snape manor for, but he was sure, one wrong move and the man would be tired of him, and send him back to the Dursleys where they would go back to locking him up in his cupboard under the stairs. He shivered, not wanting to be back in that cupboard ever again.

"Yes sir" he quietly said,

"Yes what? Yes, you want to play another game of chess, or yes you want to continue arguing?"

Swallowing thickly Harry nodded, "Yes, I.....I want to um, play another game of chess.....if it is alright, sir?"
Snape inclined his head at Harry, telling him that he may start the game whenever he's ready.

Harry started the game, commanding a white pawn to move forward to squares to E4. Barely twenty minutes into the game, Harry started nodding off, his head hitting the pillow and his breathing evening out into calming breathes.
Severus smirked at this, knowing that his plan worked.
Taking out his wand, Severus flicked it, banishing the Chess board back into the library. He hesitated a moment before deciding on tucking the boy under the covers. Telling himself that it wasn't so he would have to deal with a sick child. An injured one was enough. He then settled himself back down in the armchair, picking up his potions magazine and continued to read the rest of the antidote for mistletoe poisoning, deciding that he wanted to make sure the boy was actually asleep and not feigning.....again.

Confident that his ward was fully asleep and was not going to wake up once he left, Severus stood up, flicking his wand at the occupied bed, putting up an alarm that would wale him if the boy was either up for no reason or having a nightmare, of course, though the alarm wouldn't go off if the boy got up to use the toilet, but if he wasn't back in bed when he should be in bed, then that would also set off the alarm. The spell was first invented many years ago by a witch called, Ophelia Slytherin, the grand-daughter of Salazar, who took over from him as the head of Slytherin. She had invented the spell knowing she couldn't speak parseltongue like her father and grandfather before her, who had used their gift to speak to Salazar's familiar as a way to keep track of the students, Ophelia invented the spell for that purpose so she would know when her students weren't in bed like should have been. Today, the spell is mostly used by Severus for the very same purpose, which has worked like a charm, never letting him down. Like for instance, during Potter's first year at Hogwarts, Severus had caught young Malfoy out of bed more than once, giving him a weeks worth of detention every time. Now the brat doesn't dare sneak out after curfew as he doesn't want to end up scrubbing the bathrooms by Gryffindor, the messiest bathrooms at Hogwarts, with a toothbrush.

A yawn escaped the potions master’s mouth, once he double checked the alarm spell would work, and that Potter was actually asleep, Severus decided that he might as well get an early night himself. Noxing the bedroom light as he walked out, closing the door quietly shut behind him.

*****

Severus startled awake in the middle of the night, hearing his alarms go off. Grabbing his wand, the potions master climbed out of bed, slipping his black slippers on his feet and spelling his navy blue nightrobes on. He hurried out of his room and across the hall, his wand held firmly in his grasp, pointing forward, as he entered the only occupied guest room, not at all sure what he would find in the room, but he expected a Death Eater or two to have found out where the boy was.

Pushing open the bedroom door, Severus thoroughly scanned the room for any potential threat. There was nothing. A small groan coming from the bed took Severus's attention. He frowned in thought, moving closer the boy who appears to be struggling.

“Potter?” Severus called in a hushed tone, checking if the boy was awake.....

“No, please no....” the boy screamed, startling the usually stoic professor. His arms were raised as if fighting an invisible attacker.

Wondering whether or not to let it play out, Severus stood there unsure of wha.....

“No, don't! Pl.....please uncle, I'll.....I'll be good”

“Potter,” mind made up, Severus rushed over to the bedside, coming to the decision on waking the boy instead. He didn't know what Potter was dreaming about, but he had a pretty good idea of what was happening in the boy's dream. “Potter, wake up. It's professor Snape, you're dreaming. You're.....”
“Uncle please, I.....I’ll be a good boy” the boy pleaded in what sounded like a fearful, hopeless sound, one Severus was very familiar with himself, having used that tone many times with his father as well as the Dark Lord.

Gently shaking the dreaming boy and ignoring the flinch and the begging that followed afterwards. Severus continued on using his soft silky tone, one he only saves for times like these.

“Potter wake up, you're at Snape manor, you're dreaming......”

The boy went still under his hand, and Severus stood there, a little unsure of what to do now.

“Pot.....Harry,” he decided to try a different approach, “it's professor Snape, you're dreaming, you're at.....”

A quiet voice interrupted him. “Professor?”

Severus nodded, standing up straight and removing his hand from the boy when he was sure the boy was calm enough to do so. Waving his wand, he lit up the room with a soft glow. Potter's facial expressions relaxed a little, but still held traces of fear.

“Did you want to talk about it?” Severus asked, knowing that he needed to get the boy to do so, knowing very well that talking about it helped a lot.

It also helps if you have a trusted adult you can go to, for Severus it was his mother, then it was his uncle, for the students it was Severus as the other heads of houses had no clue with how to deal with abused children. Pomona, just bear hugged them, while Flitwick rambled on and on about how it will get better and not too worry. He held back from rolling his eyes, knowing that Potter would get the wrong idea. Speaking of Potter, Severus focused his full attention onto the boy, knowing it will do no good if he missed anything the boy says, just for being caught up in his thoughts.

Potter shook his head, “n.....no sir”
Severus sighed, wanting to push the boy into talking about his nightmare.

“Was it.....was it the same one as last time? When I.....when I came in here after Lucy came to get me and.....I found you being sick?” he decided to ask, at least he would have some idea of why the boy stayed up late, feigning sleep in front of his professor.

The boy hesitated, before giving a small nod, “yes sir”

Severus nodded, there was a long pause, “do you think you'll be able to go back to sleep, again?” Severus decided to ask in a gentle tone,

Potter slightly shook his head, shivering a little as he pulled his knees up to his chest and wrapped his arms tightly around his legs. Severus watched, thinking of something that would ease the boy enough for him to go back to sleep. A thought hit him as he caught sight of the boy's photo album, that was currently lying on the bedside table, the one on the left side of the bed, the very same photo album Severus knew Hagrid had given to the boy at the end of Potter's first year at Hogwarts. Where do you think Hagrid got most of the photos from?

"How about I tell you some stories about your mother?" He finally suggested, knowing he couldn't put it off any longer, besides, he was sure it would do the trick and send the boy back into the pleasant world of dreams.

There was a long pause, Potter averted his eyes to look at his photo album before looking back at Snape with what appears to be a hopeful expression on his face. Potter nodded shortly afterwards, "please,"

Severus just about heard the boy say in a longing tone. Merlin, it's as if he's never heard any stories about his parents! He held back a snort, reminding himself of just what sort of environment he had rescued the boy from this summer. Severus nodded, thinking of what to tell the boy about Lily.

Closing his eyes, the potions master bought up every happy memory with Lily in to the forefront of his mind, he felt himself smile a little, thinking of the first time he had first met Lily, but decided that, that story was one for another time. He smiled harder, remembering a different memory of Lily, one he knew would do just the trick.
Taking a deep, calming breathe in, Severus looked at his ward, beginning his story.

“It was the summer before our fifth year, July to be exact.....Lily, your mother, was born and raised in A medium size town called Cokeworth Derbyshire. Each year in July, they have a carnival, known as Cokeworth carnival......"

“Carnival sir? Like the one they have every year in Little Whinging?” Potter confusedly asked, not yet realising he had interrupted his snarky potions master.

Usually Severus hated it whenever children interrupted his speech, but tonight with his temporary ward, he decided as it wasn't too important, then he would let it slide for now and instead, he nodded in response to the Potter child.

“Having never visited the one in Little, Whinging, was it?, I wouldn't really know....but it is probably similar. Why, have you ever been to the carnival in Little Whinging?” Severus asked, the boy hesitated for a moment before shaking his head.

“no sir, aunt.....aunt Petunia, said that ‘carnivals aren't meant for freaks!’” Potter automatically said, as if it has been ingrained in him. “But I.....I'd like to go to one sir, I mean, after hearing how fun they are from Dudley, my cousin.....”

The boy paused, flinching shortly, realising just now that he had interrupted the professor. “I'm sorry sir,” he quickly apologised, seeing a frown upon the man's face.

The apology was lost on the potions master who was currently stuck in his own thoughts.

Freaks! Hearing that word made Severus' blood boil, though he didn't know Petunia very well, he remembered the first time he saw Lily on the train back in their first year, she had been sitting in a cart with another first year student, who had been comforting her, tears had trickled down her bright red cheeks and eleven year old Severus had asked why she was upset, thinking it was because she was already missing her family, which Severus could relate to as he had been worrying already over his mother. When Lily had told him what her sister had called her on the platform, she broke down again, leaving Severus and their new best friend to comfort her. Still frowning, Severus gritted his teeth.

How dare that bitch call Lily's son a freak!
Before continuing on with his story, Severus paused, looking at his ward with a thoughtful look. Sure he did not know the horse faced woman well, but he had a sinking feeling telling him to ask the boy. He needed to know whether the child, Lily's son thinks of himself as that despicable name. Gathering his words, Severus hesitated, he knew without a doubt that the child didn't have anyone in the last eleven, nearly twelve years to tell him that he wasn't a freak, whereas Lily had her parents who would punish Petunia for every foul word she spouted, and Severus, well, he had his mother to tell him the opposite of what he would always be told by his father.

“Mr Potter, answer me seriously.....there is no right or wrong answer,” the potions master paused, “I just need to know whether you think of yourself as that foul word your aunt called you?”

There was a moment of hesitation from the boy, and Snape thought for one moment that the boy's answer will be that he does think of himself in that way, however, when Potter did finally answer, Severus still had that sinking feeling in his chest.

“No sir,” Potter shook his head, his voice a little quiet, but not too quiet that Severus had to strain his ears to listen.

Not really believing the boy's answer, Severus pushed a little more. Hopeful that Potter would give him a more decent response. He narrowed his onyx eyes,“Are you sure Mr Potter?” Severus asked, his tone silkily
Another bit of hesitation until Potter responded with a nod of his head.

“Yes sir, I......I don't think of myself as that word anymore.”

Knowing the boy wasn't being all that truthful with him, the potions master glanced at through the window and outside, sure it was dark still, but in less than several hours, the sun will be up, so Severus reasoned with himself that he can just continue with this conversation later on, when it wasn't way past midnight.

He turned his eyes back to the boy, giving a small nod to let Potter know that he was.....’satisfied' with the answer. Sighing, he made himself comfortable again, before finally continuing on with his story, hoping the boy would nod off shortly.

“Lily, having been to the carnival plenty of times before with her family, decided to invite some of her friends from Hogwarts alone, that included; myself, Ja.....(Severus cleared his throat).....Potter, your father's friend, Lupin and a few others I cannot name right now for......for personal reasons.

Neither of us, except Lily, have never been to a carnival before and we were instantly amazed at the sight, thinking the whole thing was run by magic. Lily, seeing our stunned faces, explained to us that it wasn't magic, but elect.....electricity.

Surrounding the park, there were many muggle contraptions, including; dodgems, waltzers, merry-go-round, ferris wheel and many others that I cannot remember, there were different food stalls selling muggle food I had never heard of or tried before.....I think it was something called cotton......sweet?”

“Candy, sir.....it's cotton candy” Harry corrected, holding back a snort.

Snape inclined his head, continuing on with his story and Harry sat listening to the professor talking, describing the carnival into more detail. He listened as Snape describe the smell of muggle carnival food, from, pizza to caramel apples. The professor described some of the rides they had gone on and the taste of his first time having pizza.
As he listened, Harry felt himself relax, his eyelids begin to slowly close, his muscles unable to move and his breathing continuing to follow the already gentle pattern. Soon enough the young Lion cub was unable to convince himself to stay awake, falling asleep to the professor's soothing, warm, tone.

Unknown to the sleeping Gryffindor, Snape had also grown tired that he fell asleep in the fortunately comfortable armchair.

Lucy, quietly popped in, first tucking the young master under the duvet, then she clicked her fingers and in an instant later, a warm, thick wooly blanket appeared across the portions master's lap and Lucy tucked the sleeping master in, making sure he wouldn't freeze. Satisfied with her work, the elf quietly popped out of the room after whispering a goodnight to both of her dreaming masters.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3887