Everything Is Not What It Seems by RavenMooney
Summary: Severus Snape, Potions Master of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, assumed he was going to have a relaxing summer, but that all changes when an upset Lily visits him in his dream needing his help to save her son.

Reluctantly Severus checks on Harry, discovering that all is not what it seems.
Categories: Teacher Snape > Professor Snape, Parental Snape > Guardian Snape Main Characters: .Snape and Harry (required), Original Character, Other
Snape Flavour: Canon Snape, Overly-protective Snape, Snape Comforts, Snape is Loving, Snape is Stern
Genres: Angst, Canon, Family, Fluff, Hurt/Comfort, Tragedy
Media Type: None
Tags: Abuse Recovery, Adoption, Injured!Harry, Kidnapped!Harry, Snape-meets-Dursleys
Takes Place: 3rd summer, 3rd Year
Warnings: Abusive Dursleys, Neglect, Physical Abuse, Profanity, Rape
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 95232 Read: 9825 Published: 30 Aug 2023 Updated: 22 Apr 2024

1. Chapter 1 Something's Not Right by RavenMooney

2. Chapter 2 Harry's New Guardian by RavenMooney

3. Chapter 3 Confessions & Rules by RavenMooney

4. Chapter 4 Tour Of Snape Manor by RavenMooney

5. Chapter 5 Several Days Later by RavenMooney

6. Chapter 6 Madam Beaumont by RavenMooney

7. Chapter 7 P.T.S.G. by RavenMooney

8. Chapter 8 One Step Forward by RavenMooney

9. Chapter 9 Harry's Nightmare by RavenMooney

10. Chapter 10 Two Steps Backwards by RavenMooney

11. Chapter 11 Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Cold by RavenMooney

12. Chapter 12 The Unexpected Visitor by RavenMooney

13. Chapter 13 Gifts by RavenMooney

14. Chapter 14 Fun Fair by RavenMooney

15. Chapter 15 The Oculist by RavenMooney

Chapter 1 Something's Not Right by RavenMooney
Author's Notes:
Hey guys, it's me, Mae19, now going by RavenMooney. Sorry for the late update, hope you're all keeping well. I'll be reuploading the old chapters on here, followed by the new chapters I've written, can't wait for you to read them.

Hope you enjoy xx

Saturday 26th June 1993,

It was 6pm when a large red 4-6-0 steam engine, known as the Hogwarts express, came to a stop at platform 9 ¾ in Kings Cross station.

The train doors opened and out climbed children from ages eleven to eighteen years, all different but special.

Unlike other children and teens, who attended ordinary schools that were mostly within walking distance from their homes, these children and teens came from a special school, where they were taught about Witchcraft and Wizardry.

Yes, these children are not your ordinary children, but witches and wizards unknowingly living among ordinary, non-magical people, known as muggles.

One boy in particular with raven black hair, emerald green, almond shaped eyes, wearing worn, round rimmed glasses that had seen better days, climbed off the train, wearing oversized, stain covered, hole filled clothes.A dark red t-shirt and navy blue jeans. Both were baggy and overdue and needed to be dumped, unfortunately he can't as his relatives would no doubt call him ‘an ungrateful freak.’ Besides, at least he had clothes to wear and a roof over his head.

He was also sporting an infamous lightning bolt scar sat on his forehead, was how the wizarding world knew him to be the-boy-who-lived, the only known person to live from a killing curse when he was a baby. He was known to the wizarding world as Harry James Potter, but to his friends, he was known as Harry. Though, he didn't know that yet.

Shortly afterwards, he was followed by a bushy brown haired girl, Hermione Jean Granger, a muggleborn witch, born to non magical parents, the smartest witch of the century and his friend, along with a red headed, lanky tall boy, Ronald Bilius Weasley, a pureblood wizard, chess champion and sixth born in his family. Second to last and always overshadowed. But remains loyal to his two best friends.

“There they are,” the red headed boy said, instantly spotting a familiar clan of red heads. “C’mon guys, lets go” the trio, known as the Golden trio by many, went over to the clan.

“Ronald, Harry, Hermione,” the trio were pulled into a bear-like hug by the matriarch of the red headed clan, a plump woman, known as Molly Weasley. “Did you three have a good second year at school?” she asked them, still hugging and unaware of the raven haired boy flinching at her touch.

“Yes mum” Ron said, his cheeks blushed an embarrassing shade of red.

At the same time, both Hermione and Harry said, “yes Mrs Weasley” all three were finally released from the mother bear hug. And as soon as Mrs Weasley counted seven heads, five belonging to her younger children, all at Hogwarts, and two belonging to her youngest son's friends, they all walked off the platform through the wall that will take them out to the muggle platforms 9 and 10. Pushing trolleys with trunks and their familiars in cages.

“Do either of you see your families, Harry, Hermione?” The patriarch or the red headed clan, known as Arthur Weasley, asked, scanning the crowd of muggles for anyone familiar.

Both said children were already scanning the crowd looking for their designated families, if one could call Harry's relatives that, with how they treated their nephew. Before Harry had any time looking for his relatives, he was pulled into another unexpected hug, causing him to flinch again. He hated being touched. Why couldn't people understand that?

“See you Harry, Ron. Make sure to write this summer,” Hermione said, hugging Harry first, pulling away she hugged Ron. “Both of you!” she told them, giving them a warning glare, promising a hex or two if they don't.

“See you Hermione” Harry and Ron both said at the same time, with Harry promising to write if his relatives let him. They watched her as she walked off to greet her parents. Leaving the clan of red heads, plus Harry.

Molly Weasley scanned the crowd again, looking for any familiar faces. Seeing no sign, she said, “they're probably on their way. And if they don't show we'll just have to make sure you get home safely”

“Or you can come-“

“-back with us,”

“Boys!” Molly Weasley cut in, “though Harry is welcome to visit us any time, I am sure Harry is eager to see his family after being away from them for so long. Right Harry?” Molly asked gently

Harry nodded his head, not wanting to really tell Ron's mum the truth, besides, after what Dumbledore had told him at the end of last year, he knew it was pointless. No one would listen to him.

Feeling like a burden already. He was used to the Dursleys picking him up later than normal, or not even picking up at all, leaving him to make his own way home.

Sighing, he looked up at the Weasley matriarch, “It's alright Mrs Weasley, the Dursleys are always late…..you guys don't have to wait with me”

“Oh Harry, we aren't those kinds of people to leave a child alone and unsupervised. We'll just wai….” Mrs Weasley started, “there, you see, your uncle's here now”

The-infamous-boy-who-lived, flinched as a heavy hand landed hard on his shoulder, he gulped, pushing his fear down. Wishing for the ground to swallow him up hole. He knew who the hand belonged to and the owner, he knew, wasn't pleased. “Uncle Vernon,” he said, surprised, his uncle was here. Uh oh, he's been drinking.Where were Dudley and aunt Petunia. He scanned around the platforms looking for his other two relatives. Maybe they’ve gone to the bathroom? Also, why are they on time for once?

They're never on time, not for me.

“Come along boy, you've wasted enough of my time already just coming back here” Vernon said, in a gruff tone, annoyed that his nephew was talking to freaks, again. His face turned a deep shade of purple when his freak of a nephew hugged the dumpy looking freak. Once they pulled apart, he dragged the boy away, by the boy's shoulder.

“You take care of yourself now, Harry,” the dumpy freak said to his freaky nephew. He tightened his grip on the freak's shoulder, dragging him through the train station, pretending he didn't hear the freak's questions.

I need another beer after this. Vernon thought, unlocking his car once they reached it. “Hurry up boy, I don't have all day!” he huffed, tempted to snap at the blasted freak, but he knew he couldn't, not in front of all these people who were already staring at them. Stupid freaks!

Snapping, he shoved the boy against the car, not caring that there might be a bruise or that there were passersby watching with even more curiosity. He snatched the trunk and bird cage with the freak's nephew and annoying bird locked inside, dumping them both in the boot, and gruffly telling the burden to get in the car. He closed the trunk and climbed into the driver's seat.

“Unc….uncle Vernon?” Vernon Dursley heard the freak start

“What is it boy?” he grumbled, annoyed that he can't ignore the freak now.

“Where…..where's um…..aunt Petunia and Dudley, sir?” the freak asked

He glared into the rear-view mirror, glaring at the boy. “As if you don't know, boy!” he said, feeling his blood boil. The freak was going to pay once he cleaned up his unwanted mess. Vernon furiously thought. Everything was always the freaks fault, from the minute he was dumped on our doorstep. Ruddy bird came yesterday, reminding them….him, that the freak would be at Kings Cross station. Last year, they, not wanting to pick up the freak, they arrived hours late, still furious their freak of a nephew was the cause for their son to end up with a pig's tail. If the giant freak hadn't come for their freaky nephew, then Dudley wouldn't have had a tail attached to him.

Seeing one of those ruddy birds reminded him of what happened last summer when he had the Masons over for dinner. Bloody freak, ruining my night!

The freak shook his head, “I….I hones….”

Stopping the car, he turned his head round, he yelled out, “Don't You Dare Lie To Me You Freak!” he turned back to facing the road. I'll deal with the freak once back home.

Vernon Dursley parked the car into his driveway, getting out, he noticed the freak walking round to the boot of the car. “Leave it boy!” he huffed, sending a glare at the freak.

Confused, but afraid to ask any more questions. Harry followed uncle Vernon to the front door, empty handed. He waited for his uncle to unlock and open the door into the hallway. Last year, after first year, the Dursleys had been hours late, so late that the train station was almost deserted and the many years before that, all in primary school the Dursleys would always make him walk….back to Privet Drive.

“Boy!”

Flinching, Harry jumped in fright, almost loosing his footing on the front doorstep.

“Ye….yes unc….uncle Vernon?”

“Hurry up and begin the chores boy! And don't miss a single thing!”

Harry flinched, controlling his emotions as best as he could.

“Yes uncle Vernon” he said, heading towards the kitchen. His uncle disappeared into the living room.

“And get me a beer”

“Yes uncle Vernon”

Harry stopped short, still out in the hallway. He glanced around the hallway, noticing the area was bare. He realized the photos that should be hanging on the walls aren't at all there, just empty hooks. An unknown feeling was felt in his chest. He didn't like it and he wondered why the Dursleys removed their pictures from the hallway.

“Boy! I don't hear you coming with my beer!”

“Yes uncle Vernon, coming uncle Vernon” Harry quickly said, deciding he'd think on it later. Right now, he was going to do his chores. And hope that his relatives would allow him to eat tonight.

******

Sweating and drained from the list of chores he did, Harry entered the kitchen, after putting away the garden tools back in the garden shed. He washed his hands quickly, ready to make dinner for the Dursleys. Luckily his uncle fell asleep on the couch.

Now, I just have to make sure not to burn dinner. He thought, heading toward the fridge, checking what was there. Due to cooking for the Dursleys since he was maybe four or five, Harry knew his uncle hated anything but meat. He silently prayed that there was meat somewhere. Lamb. Harry found, checking all the drawers in the fridge.

Taking the lamb out, the boy set it down on the counter top beside the cooker. He then proceeded to the food cupboard where he knew the Dursleys mainly kept the pasta and rice. Seeing a packet of pasta, Harry took it out of the cupboard, along with an unopened jar of dolmio pasta sauce, deciding he would make meatballs and pasta.

Dinner took at least an hour and fifteen minutes to cook. Along with wondering about the many photos of the Dursleys missing that once hung on the walls all over the house, Harry was wondering how long his uncle Vernon would be asleep for? And when will both aunt Petunia and Dudley arrive home? He decided to set the table for three before either Dursleys came into the dining area.

Shortly, one of Harry's unasked questions were soon answered as the groaning sound of his uncle Vernon let him know the man was waking.

“Unc….” Harry began, only to be cut off by his uncle.

Vernon Dursley stumbled into the dining area, his pig like eyes roaming over the dining table, causing his face to turn the usual deep shade of purple, the shade it usually turns when he's furious. Mostly his anger was aimed at Potter. The freak was always doing something freakish, which always made him angry. He turned to glare at the freak. Bloody freak, can't do anything right!

“BOY! WHY IN THE BLOODY BLASES IS THE BLOODY TABLE SET FOR THREE?” uncle Vernon yelled

Tempted to take a step back, away from his raging uncle, Harry forced himself to stand still, deciding to wait it out. Maybe I wont….

CRACK!

Harry's right left cheek all of a sudden stung, he bit his bottom lip. Telling himself he could take the pain.

“I….I thought they would be joining you for…..for dinner uncle Vernon” Harry said, confused and wanting to know why his aunt and cousin weren't back yet and why was his uncle so angry with him. He always set the table for all three Dursleys.

“WELL THEY'RE NOT! AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF YOU AND YOUR FREAKISHNESS!” Harry's uncle roared. Standing there shocked and not knowing what to do, he, Harry thought of all the reasons as to why his aunt and cousin were gone. It’s my fault. Harry thought letting his uncle's words sink in. “YOU BRING THEM BACK BOY, RIGHT NOW! THEN YOU'RE OUT! YOU HEAR?” Vernon Dursley continued, now shaking his nephew hard by the shoulders. Feeling himself losing control of his breathing, Harry repeatedly told himself to breath. Trying to gain back his control on breathing evenly, as well as thinking of a way to calm his uncle down. Though he knew nothing right now will work.

Fear kicked in as his uncle didn't stop shaking him and a burst of accidental magic was sparked, throwing Vernon Dursley across the room, he landed hard against the wall. Both lucky and unfortunate for Harry, who had soon recovered his breathing, the purple faced, beefy, whale sized man, he called uncle, stood back up. A look worse than hatred in his piggy shaped blue eyes.

“I’m…..I'm sor….sor…..sorry” The Gryffindor boy said, in hopes of dispelling his uncle's anger. As he took several small steps back each moment, in hope that he might make it to the front door in time, Harry, the moment after his uncle growled out.

“Sorry, sorry? You're gonna be sorry boy!” the man made a lunge for his nephew, stopping himself from falling.

In the next moment, it all happened so fast, as Harry legged it through the hallway in hopes of getting to the front door, telling himself that he can worry about where to go later, felt the familiar, painful feeling in his ankle where the belt buckle of his uncle's touched the area, making a familiar sound, one he’s used to hearing whenever he does something freaky. Harry bit his bottom lip to stop himself from screaming out in pain as he fell to the ground. Reminding himself that he was a freak and freaks aren't allowed to feel pain.

“HOW DARE YOU USE YOUR FREAKISHNESS IN MY HOUSE, BOY!”

Many more times the belt lashed out at Harry, hitting him in new places, and with each wound and bruises, from the belt, made it harder for him to try and stand. The belt buckle came down again, hitting it's victim's face, just below the right eye. Every hit with the belt, Harry wanted to scream, to beg his uncle to stop, but he didn't. All he did was bite down hard on his bottom lip, drawing blood.

His purple faced uncle continued raging on and on. Yelling at him to bring aunt Petunia and Dudley back, he wanted to say he couldn’t because he didn't know where they had gone. But that would all be in vain, for almost twelve years of living at Privet Drive, Harry learnt where he belonged. Here, he was viewed as something lower than dirt, where no one believed or trusted him, not even the neighbours, who he hardly saw, and after awhile he started to doubt himself sometimes.

A few more hits with the belt later, everything went black and Harry knew no more.

******

200 miles away from Little Winging, in a muggle village just outside of Yorkshire, called Ghoatland, a Tudor manor, nestled on an isolated road, about a ten minute walk from the village, was peaceful and quiet. The resident of the house fast asleep, under his warm, silk duvet, dreaming of becoming the world’s best potions master, after making a new, unheard of potion and selling it.

Aware of what's happening the potions master looked around in his dream, seeing a familiar park, where the back of a familiar woman stood watching from a distance of two teens playing on the swings.

He gasped in shock, seeing who the three familiar people were.

Lily.

It was Lily & him.

The older Lily turned round at the sound of him gasping, the man with shoulder length black greasy hair stood there with his heart aching at seeing his friend, his best friend, crying.

“Sev!” older Lily cried, running over and before he knew it, he had his arms full of a crying Lily. Just hearing the sound of her broken voice, broke his heart in more ways than one. Even after all these years, he still loved her.

“Lily, what is it? What's got you upset?” he asked, rubbing her back gently, as he did he breathed in her coconut scented hair, from the conditioner and shampoo she usually uses to wash her medium, wavy dark red hair. He felt her head shake in the negative against his chest.

“It's….it's my son Sev, Harry…..he's hurt. He needs help Sev, he needs help now!” she cried out, responding to his question, pulling back. He hated the hurt look in his beloved Lily's eyes.

Bloody Potter! Who, no doubt started a fight with some neighborhood kids. The boy was just like his father sometimes.

“Are you sure Lily? I mean, Pott….Harry probably just got into a muggle fist fight with some neighborhood kids.” He said, in hopes to calm his Lily down. If it wasn't for the look in her emerald eyes, he would have called the boy Potter.

She shook her head again. “No Sev, it's worse than that! He needs help and you, Severus Tobias Snape, promised me protect him the minute I told you I was pregnant!” she harshly reminded, stepping back from her friend with her arms crossed, giving him a look she knew he would know all too well. Do what you promised or suffer the consequences.

Severus thought about it and though he was still confused, he continued listening to the teenager versions of Severus and Lily laughing on the swings, a memory he will always cherish, he glanced at the older Lily, standing there before him with her arms crossed. He winced at the familiar look on her face, instantly feeling like a child, who had been ready to disobey the rules. He stared hard at her emerald tearful eyes, knowing what he must do.

“Alright Lily, I shall go check on Pott….Harry” he said in a gentle promising tone.

Lily gave him an incredulous look. “He needs help now Sev, he could be dead if you leave it until morning!” she urgently said, fearing for her son's life.

“That serious?” he looked at her with wide black eyes, she nodded slowly, upset that she couldn't help her son as much as she wanted to. “Alright, I shall go now” he promised,

A watery smile appeared upon Lily's angelic face. “Thank you Sev, I know I can always count on you.” She said, thanking her friend, kissing him softly on the lips.

******

Severus Tobias Snape, potions master and Hogwarts professor, since 1979 and head of Slytherin house, woke, grabbing his wand from his cherry wood bedside table, casting a silent Lumos. Looking around the room, he breathed in a sigh of relief.

It was only a dream. He told himself, wanting to go back to bed, but he couldn't escape the nagging feeling in his chest. He closed his eyes for a sec, thinking of the dream of Lily visiting him. He doubted it was true, but what if it was, what she really did visit him in his dream? What if everything she said, her concern for her son was true?

Not able to go back to sleep now, Snape nodded his head again, agreeing with both dream Lily and his thoughts. He will go and check on Potter this very moment.

Climbing out of bed, the professor changed his clothes with a flick of his wand. Instead of black pajamas, Severus now wore his black robes, his usual black, small heeled boots on his feet. He pocketed his wand, left the room and made his way out the front door. Apparating on the spot.

******

It was pitch black when Harry woke, and for a moment he wondered if he was dead, but learnt quickly he wasn't. All freaks go to hell. Was what he was taught by his relatives. Besides, he recognized the hard, thin material he was lying face-down on. His threadbare mattress, that he's always slept on in the cupboard under the stairs.

It was pitch black when Harry woke, and for a moment he wondered if he was dead, but learnt quickly he wasn't. All freaks go to hell. Was what he was taught by his relatives. Besides, he recognized the hard, thin material he was lying face-down on. His threadbare mattress, that he's always slept on in the cupboard under the stairs.

He struggled to sit up, wincing in pain at the reminder of his uncle’s hard work and the reminder of that he's nothing more than a magical freak. After many attempts, he finally succeeded, banging his head on one of the lower stairs, knowing he was going to have either a cut or a bump on his head later on. Harry turned on the light, biting his bottom lip as more pain coursed through his battered and bruised arm. However that didn't stop him from turning on the cupboard light, one he knew very well where it was.

Afterwards, Harry struggled to adjust his glasses so they were back to sitting atop of the bridge of his nose.

Wincing with each movement, he assessed uncle Vernon's work, struggling to fight back tears. He wanted to cry, but he didn't know where his relatives were and didn't want to risk them hearing, or seeing him cry. That would instantly result back to another few hits with the belt, or a few slaps by uncle Vernon.

A strong pang of jealousy hit his chest as he thought of Dudley and how Dudley has never been hit, only showered with love. He thought of everyone he knew back at Hogwarts who were no doubt having a great time right now with their own parents. No doubt feeling loved and protected. All his friends, Ron and Hermione, he wondered, if he were to die tonight, if they would even care. I doubt they would, besides if they do, they'll no doubt get over it soon enough with their loving, supportive families. Harry thought bitterly

Aunt Petunia and his cousin Dudley he knew very well that neither would miss him, after all, they had practically abandoned him with uncle Vernon, which was no doubt his fault. It's my fault aunt Petunia left with Dudley. He wiped his an aching arm across his face, drying his eyes, wincing twice again, as his stained sleeve unexpectedly touched the bruise on his cheek and shortly afterwards, the cut under his eye. He thought back to his couple of years at Hogwarts wondering if Snape would have treated him any different if he knew Harry has never lived the spoilt life he always says he does. Harry truly doubted it. The man hates me, just as much as the Dursleys and would no doubt hit me if he could. He thought thinking back on all those words Snape had ever called him, combined with the Dursleys.

Freak….lazy…..dunderhead…..liar….spoilt brat, the list went on and on and Harry would have continued if he hadn't heard the front door slam shut, startling him so hard that he managed to bang his head again. Quietly he listened to the heavy familiar footsteps, others would think of an elephant, Harry on the other hand, thought and knew of them as his uncle. His heart started beating loudly as the footsteps came closer and closer to the cupboard door.

“BOY!” Harry flinched at the sound of his uncle's tone. Praying that the man wouldn't open the cupboard door. Unfortunately his prayers went unanswered as the cupboard door swung open. Revealing Harry's uncle's purple face.

“You….ye ‘aven' bough' them backye'!” the man slurred, from where he was still sitting, Harry wrinkled his nose, knowing his uncle was drunk.

Harry shook his head, knowing he was trapped in his cupboard under the stairs and whatever his uncle planned to do to him, he would have to sit, biting down on his bottom lip and put up with it. Telling himself it would be over soon.

The sound of a zipper being un zipped, bringing Harry out of his thoughts. He sat,, swallowing thickly, shivering and confused with what his uncle might do to him.

“Pleas…..pleas…..please, it….it wasn't my….my fault” Harry pleaded, afraid. Buck up Potter, you're a Gryffindor! He told himself, telling him to be brave. Besides, freaks aren't allowed to cry!

“NOTTTT YER FAULT! NOT YER FAULT! EVVVVVVERYTHING'S YER FAULT!” Vernon Dursley drunkenly raged at the freak before him. He unbuckled his belt, ready to break the boy in, giving him a lesson he won't forget.

*****

Snape landed in a dark muggle alleyway, at least a five to ten minute walk to #4 Privet Drive. The address he remembered his employer, Albus Dumbledore told him, the summer before Potter's first year, when he assumed that he, Severus, would collect the boy and deliver Potter's Hogwarts acceptance letter. At the time, Severus had to decline as he had prior engagements and so, the headmaster decided to send Hagrid instead.

Every few minutes the potions master would turn back round, deciding to apparate back home. He was tired and he just wanted to sleep, it being the first day of the summer holidays away from bratty students. Now the-boy-who-lived-to-give-him-a-headache was ruining it for him.

The professor, couldn't get the image of Lily crying, even if it had been a dream. One of the many reasons as to why he couldn't apparate on the spot. The other reason why Snape couldn't turn and apparate, is because he was curious himself. The usual dream he would have of Lily would be when they were in their children or teens, promising to be best friends forever. He needed to know what was going on with Potter and why it was so urgent for him to check on the blasted boy at this very moment. He had potions to brew for Madam Pomfrey's hospital wing.

Reaching the beginning of Privet Drive, the potions master rolled his eyes in disgust. Honestly, why do muggles build cookie cutter houses? It's utterly ridiculous. Focus Sev, number 4 Privet Drive. He repeated over and over in his head.

Finally Severus was standing outside the house, he glanced around seeing the muggle family had one muggle car, a way muggles tended to travel, but expensive. No lights were on, and Severus presumed the muggles, plus Potter were fast asleep. Further inspection of the front of the house, Severus could just make out in the dark that the garden has just been looked after, suggesting someone did some gardening earlier on today. Perhaps they were making the place nice for when Potter arrived.

The potions master was ready to turn back again.

Just go in and check on Potter, then you can leave. Severus told himself, as he stalked down the front walk, taking his wand out. Without checking to see if the door was unlocked, the professor used the spell, alohamora, he opened the door. Closing the door softly behind him.

The potions master casted a lumos charm. He glanced around the hallway, looking for the owner of the heavy snoring. His onyx eyes landing on a…..he narrowed his eyes at the sleeping form, whale sized man, sleeping half way up the stairs. He rolled his eyes, holding back a snort.

Years of spying for the light side, Severus quietly made his way over to muggle man, he gently prodded the man with his wand, glad that the whale man didn't wake. Heavy sleeper. Severus guessed, before the strong smell of alcohol assaulted his nose. Disgusted, he was about to go continue upstairs before, coming to a better idea.

“Point me Potter.” He whispered quietly, expecting the spell to work. Nothing. He sighed, remembering that he would have to redo the spell….properly, this time. “Point me Harry James Potter” instantly, the wand pulled him back the other way, down the stairs. The wand didn't stop and instantly pulled him to the right of the stairs, pulling him towards two doorways. Since it was too dark, even with the lumos shining, the potions master guessed that the kitchen and living room was this way.

Instead of pulling in either doorway, his wand, pulled to a small door, one he presumed was a cupboard door. It was then the smell of human blood hit his nose. A smell he came to recognize after years of being the potions master for the Dark Lord, after years of attending Death Eater meeting.

I hope not. Severus thought, a heavy feeling in his chest, his heart beating faster in…..worry of what he might very well find once he opens the door.

Breathe Severus, it's probably nothing. He shook his head, knowing how stupid that thought was. It definitely isn't nothing, and I’ve probably failed Lily. He thought, silently apologising to Lily.

Buck it up Severus, and find out. His mind told him, strangely sounding a lot like Lily. Taking a deep breath in, the potions master used the same locking spell he used before. The lock clicked, letting him know that he could now open the door. With another deep, breath, Snape swung open the door so fast that he was sure he would pull it off it’s hinges. Not that he would care anyway.

He let out a gasp, seeing his student lying there battered and bruised, doubting it was a muggle fist fight. Stop it Sev, you don't know that. He told himself. The professor knelt down, getting a better look at the student of his. He noticed the boy’s clothes were severely torn with fresh blood stains. He moved his wand up to Potter's face, his eyes gleaming with anger, tempted to go back out and torture the muggle man, who had no doubt dared to hurt Lily’s and James's son.

The boy's face was sporting a huge hand print as well as a cut right under his eye. He recognised it as a wound caused by a belt buckle, from dealing with abused Muggleborns, mainly sorted into Slytherin, some sorted into Hufflepuff and a few sorted into Ravenclaw. None, until tonight, sorted into Gryffindor.

Oh Lily, James, I'm truly sorry I didn't take better care of your son, whom you entrusted me with.“Prof….professor?” Snape just about heard the boy mumble. Startling Severus out of his thoughts.

“Shhh child, yes it's I. Now rest” the professor whispered, hoping it was reassuring. Sure, he didn't like the boy, but he knew from experience that it helps when you hear a reassuring voice. He silently watched as the boy’s eyes stayed closed and Severus carried on assessing the boy. His eyes travelling down to Potter's legs.

His anger boiled inside of him like a volcano ready to erupt, seeing the boy's jeans and undergarments resting just above the boy's knee. A bile of sick, travelled up his throat, as horrible thoughts about what might have happened entered his mind. He knew without a doubt that he couldn't leave Potter here. Placing his wand back in his pocket, Severus gently picked up his student, cradling him in his arms. He made sure he had the boy securely in his arms before moving back out of the cupboard door. Standing up, he, hurried back out the front door, occluding his mind to stop the strong temptation of torturing the muggle man, win a mental fight against his conscience.

Once outside, he wasted no time and apparated himself with an unconscious twelve, nearly thirteen year old Harry James Potter, in his arms, back to Snape manor. There, he would have the boy healed, hopefully by Madam Pomfrey.

To be continued...
Chapter 2 Harry's New Guardian by RavenMooney
Anxiously pacing back and forth in hallway on the second floor at Snape manor, like a caged tiger, was Severus who would not admit it to anyone, even himself, but he was worried. Worried about Potter, who was currently lying unconscious on a guest-bed in his most hated professor's home, while the medi-witch tended to him.

What happens if he had actually managed to fail in keeping his promise to Lily, the one he had made at least thirteen years ago when she was pregnant with her son.

He shook his head to clear his mind. He did not want to think about that, not right now...

A creaking sound coming from the bedroom door alerted Snape out of his reverie as he turned to look at Poppy who had already closed the door behind her with a forlorn look on her face. He swallowed thickly as his heartbeat increased.

He knew that look as he had seen Poppy wearing it every time he bought one of his abused snakes to the hospital wing so that she could tend to them, the news was never good.

"How bad?" He finally asked....after occluding his mind to calm himself down.

Sighing, Poppy replied, "it's bad Severus. He has 4 cracked ribs, 4 broken fingers on his right hand, his left wrist is broken and his ankle on his right leg is broken...he is also suffering from malnutrition and the marks and wounds covering most of his upper body are definitely from a belt," she paused, controlling her breathing before continuing. She hated this part and as he doesn't often deal with this sort of abuse, it's alot harder for her to tell the worried parents, relatives and....professors. She sighed again, then said, "I'm afraid you were right Severus, he was sexually abused"

Guilt washed over his face as he stared in shock at his colleague.

I've failed...I've failed Lily. He repeated over and over again in his mind, still not able to believe he hadn't been able to keep his promise to her, in protecting her son.

Anger towards the monsters who hurt the boy, shortly rouse inside of him as he realized that they had hurt Lily's and James's son.

They were going to pay....

"....Severus!"

He flinched when an unsuspected hand landed on his shoulder. Shoving the hand off, he turned around, glaring at the medi-witch.

"What?" He snapped, only to regret it instantly as he realized what he was in for now...

"Don't you take that tone with me young man!" Poppy snapped back, her arms folded against her chest and a glare in place that made him feel like a school boy again.

Head down in shame, Snape nodded. "Yes ma'am"

"Good. Now, what I want to say is...there is no point storming off to the muggles who hurt Mr Potter as it will do no good for anyone, they'll most likely get off for hurting Mr Potter, if you do anything to them and you, Severus would end up in Azkaban for using magic on muggles."

It was Severus's turn to sigh as he gave a small nod, realising how Gryffindor that sounded. He snorted at that. he was meant to be a Slytherin who thought things through, not some Gryffindor that goes head on when it comes to doing dangerous or irresponsible things and ends up getting caught afterwards...he shook his head at that.

"I'm sorry Poppy, you're right. I shouldn't have been about to storm off like that. It was very irresponsible of me" he said


Poppy nodded at that. Pleased that Severus realised how foolish he would have been if he had gone.

"Now, can I trust you for twelve hours not to do anything rash while I'm gone as I will be leaving Potter here until this evening when I will be coming over with Albus to take the boy to the hospital wing?" She asked in an uncertain tone.

She knew of the disdained relationship between her colleague and her patient as she always hears the two complaining about each other and now she wasn't very sure if this was such a good idea, but what else could she do. She had know other choice as Mr Potter is currently in a deep sleep and won't be awake until this early evening.

Across from her, Snape stared at her with a glare and would have refused to allow the Potter brat to stay any longer in his manor, that was until he remembered as to why he was here in the first place and that he had managed to fail in his promise to Lily...he shook his head, wonderering why he didn't just take the boy away from Godric's hollow that night instead of handing him over to Hagrid. At least he wouldn't have been abused by the ones who were meant to care for him.

"Very well Poppy, you may leave Mr Potter here for twelve hours and I mean only twelve, not twenty. You did give him dreamless sleep, did you?"

Now bought out of her thoughts, Poppy nodded. "of course Severus. He won't bother you while I'm gone if that's what you mean and yes, I will be back for him in twelve hours, just before dinner so you'll have nothing to worry about" she said in a reassuring tone.

"You better as I won't be responsible for the boy after twelve hours, so should something happen to him, it will be your fault"

Poppy rolled her eyes. "As I said before young man, I shall be back by then with the headmaster by then...now are we just going to stand here all day or can I floo back to my rooms now" with that she turned on her heels and headed back down the stairs, leaving a glaring potions master behind her.

The nerve of that woman. Scowled Snape, annoyed that Poppy had called him young man. He dested called that as it makes him feel like a child...shaking his head, he followed after Poppy, quickly catching up with her and walked her to his study so that she could floo out.

With a small handful of floo powder, Poppy turned to look at her colleague and said, "well Severus, I shall see you later...oh, and do not hesitate to floo call either myself or Albus, should there be any problems before we come."

The only response Severus gave was another scowl, before saying, "of course Poppy, I will be sure to contact you should there be any problems"

Poppy gave a nod as she chucked the powder into the floo and shouted her destination, she then stepped into the green flames and within seconds, she disappeared, leaving behind her colleague.

Once she left, Severus turned on his heels, deciding it was time for some much needed rest.

******

A man dressed in Slytherin green clothing and a cloak to match, with shoulder length grey hair and penetrating black eyes, was sitting in what appeared to be a living room with Christmas decorations hanging on the walls and a large Christmas tree by the large window.

Beside the man on the couch, sat a five year old girl with raven black hair and familiar emerald eyes. Lily's eyes.

The man smiled down at his granddaughter as he handed her a Slytherin green wrapped present in the shape of a broomstick.

"Merry Christmas Lily" the man said, watching as the girl opened her present carefully. Almost instantly she jumped into his lap, hugging him.

"L've you gran'pa"

"I as well Lily, I as well"

The two stayed like that for a few moments before an older Harry Potter interrupted.

"Open mine now dad" he said, handing a Gryffindor red wrapped present to the man.

Opening with the 'help' of his granddaughter, the present revealed a gold cauldron with bold black lettering saying, 'world's greatest dad'

"Thank you son" the man said, pulling his twenty-nine year old son into a hug, with his granddaughter still on his lap.

Smiling, the man was glad he had made the right decision he had all those years ago.

******

Sitting upright in his transfigured armchair, quickly realising that he must have accidentally fallen asleep while keeping an eye on the boy for a few minutes....he snorted, as he remembered his dream. He was not going to be Potter's...guardian, no matter if James and Lily would have wantef it, or even his godmother. He was a spy for Merlin's sakes, it just simply wasn't done. besides he was sure Potter would much rather live with the Dark Lord as his guardian than the greasy git of the dungeons.

Too tired to move, Severus leaned back into the chair again, he shook his head in despair, knowing because of his spying duties he would never be able to have what he desires the most,

A family...

******

"Severus!" Albus called, stepping out of the floo and into his potions master's study.

The medi-witch shortly stepped out after another green flame appeared, both arriving at their destination right on schedule and now, all they had to do was bring the Potter boy back to the hospital wing as that is where he will be staying for the first couple of days until they decide where he can stay.

Meanwhile an alarm went off down in Snape's potions lab, where the man was currently brewing, alerting him that someone flooed through, just as a small green house elf appeared into the room.

"Master Severus sir, master headmaster and mistress medi-witch are here's in yours study, waiting for you's"

"Thank you Lucy, I know." Severus said as he took out his wand and casted a quick stasis charm on the flame that he had lit for brewing his potion.

"Lucy, could you check on Mr Potter for me and see if he's awake...if not, come find me right away" Snape ordered as he made his way out of his lab and up towards his study.

Minutes later, Snape entered his study where he was met by both his employer and his colleague sitting down on the yellow leather couch in the room.

"Severus." Both Poppy and Albus said, greeting the potions master.

Snape inclined his head towards the both of them. "Poppy, Albus...I'm guessing you're here for Potter?"

The medi-witch nodded her head.

"Right on schedule as well. Has he awaken yet?"

Severus shook his head, "No, I'm afraid Mr Potter has yet to wake."

seeing that his colleague was about to get up from the couch, Severus added,

"Do not worry yourself Poppy, as I have asked my house elf to check on him and see if he has woken up yet, if not, then she will let me know right away"

A loud POP in the room alerted the three Hogwarts profeasors.

"Is he awake yet Lucy?" Severus asked as soon as his elf appeared in front of him.

"No, master Severus sir, little master hasn't woken yet. Is that all's master?"

He glanced over at the other professors. "Do either of you two want a drink?"

Poppy nodded. "Yes, thank you Severus. Just a normal English breakfast tea will be fine."

"Coffee for me, please Lucy" Albus said

"And my usual, Lucy"

"Right away master Severus sir, master headmaster and mistress medi-witch. Yours drinks will be ready soon" nodded Lucy, before disappearing from the room and leaving the three professors alone again.

From the corner of the potions master's eye, he could see that Poppy was fidgeting. Something she doesn't usually do unless a new problem came up with the students in her care, of course because his Slytherins being the ones that end up in the hospital wing more than any other house, then Severus would notice certain habits the medi-witch did that no ome else were aware of.

"Poppy,you may go and check on Mr Potter's condition again" he said in a calm tone.

"Oh, thank you Severus. Don't worry, you'll Mr Potter out of your hair sooner than you think" with that, she got up from the couch and hurried out the room, she had a patient to see.

Snape felt an ache in his chest when his colleague had said that Potter would be out of his hair, sooner than he thought. He shook his head, why would he miss the brat staying here?

Oh I don't know, because he's the son of you two best friends who are now dead and deep down you know you care for the boy. Came the reply in his head.

I do not care for the boy. He replied back to himself

Denial...you do care, you just don't want to admit it.

Oh shut up will you

*silence*

Smirking to himself, Severus had a sip of his green tea that had just arrived. Finally some peace and quiet.

It was at least twenty minutes later when Poppy came back into the room. Dejectedly, she sighed as she sat back down in her previous seat, she noticed two pairs of eyes looking at her with an expectant look.

"Yes?" She asked, taking a sip of her English breakfast tea, while wonderering what they were waiting for.

It was at least twenty minutes later when Poppy came back into the room. Dejectedly, she sighed as she sat back down in her previous seat, she noticed two pairs of eyes looking at her with an expectant look.

"Yes?" She asked, taking a sip of her English breakfast tea, while wonderering what they were waiting for.

Albus's blue eyes twinkled, as he said. "Oh nothing Poppy, but Severus and I are just wondering when you are going to tell us what is wrong with Mr Potter when you went up to check on him?"

Her blue eyes widened in realization.

Swallowing her tea, she said, "Oh, well why didn't you say so?" Putting the mug back down, the medi-witch continued, "anyway, Mr Potter is currently in a 48 hours coma, most likely due to his brain shutting down the moment he fell unconscious...so he won't wake until Tuesday early morning, which means Severus, the boy will have to stay here until then as it would be too risky to either floo, apparate or portkey to Hogwarts with him. Will that be a problem for you?"

Glaring at his colleague first, Severus then reluctantly shook his head. "No, Poppy it should not be a problem. After all, with handling all my Slytherins, I think I can handle one Gryffindor in a coma."

"Very well then Severus, thank you again for allowing Mr Potter to..."

The potions master put a hand up, silencing the medi-witch. "There is no need to thank me Poppy, allowing Potter to occupy one of my guestrooms is no different than allowing my snakes to occupy my guestroom back in my living quarters at Hogwarts"

"Oh but there is a need to thank you Severus..." again she was silenced, this time by the headmaster who had now put a hand up.

"As much as I'd love to hear you Severus, allowing young Harry to stay here while in a coma, and you Poppy, thanking Severus...I'm afraid we have much more important things to discuss, like, where are we going to place Mr Potter this summer?"

Snape leaned back in his chair again, and nodded in agreement, "yes, good idea headmaster...where are you planning on sending Potter for the rest of the summer?"

There was a few minutes of silence in the room as Dumbledore sat there thinking of all the possible places for one Harry Potter to temporarily stay for the summer. After all, if there was no.one willing to take the boy, he would have to go back to Privet Drive, even if the alarm in his office alerted him that the blood wards have dropped.

"I was thinking of sending the boy to the Weasleys for the summer" Albus finally said, only to receive both a nod in agreement from Poppy and a snort from Severus.

Both he and Poppy now looked at Severus with a questioning look.

"What?" Scowled Severus, noticing both his employer and colleague looking at him.

It was Poppy who spoke next, "you don't agree with Albus in leaving Mr Potter with the Weasleys for the summer? how come, I'm sure they'd love to take the boy in and I know they would take good care of him...after all, he did stay with them towards the end of summer last year"

"Yes, I'm sure the Weasleys did such a lovely job at noticing the signs of abuse last summer when Mr Potter was in their care and I'm sure they'd know all about handling an abused child" Severus said in a sarcastic tone and with his arms crossed against his chest.

After a moment of thought, Albus agreed with Severus. Yes, he was sure the Weasleys would take care of Harry, but would they be good at handling an abused child like Harry...he decided if Severus didn't think so, then maybe it would be a bad decision in leaving the boy with them.

"Very well Severus, you're most likely right. The Weasleys will not know how to deal with looking after an abused Harry." He finally said, now sitting in silence once again, thinking of the right home for the boy.

This time it was Poppy who suggested where Harry could go. "What about Minerva, she is the boy's head of house after all. Perhaps she might be able to take Mr Potter in for the summer until we find a permanent home for him"

Severus rolled his black eyes. "Yes, I agree, Minerva would make such a fine guardian for the boy, even though he was her responsibility throughout the school year and she did not even notice any signs of abuse...yes, well done Poppy, marvelous idea" he said in the same sarcastic tone he had used earlier on.

Still glaring at her colleague, she would have said something else, but Albus beat her with another suggestion.

"What about Amelia Bones? She seems like she would be a good temporary guardian for Harry, she also must be good with kids as she is the permanent guardian of her niece"

Again, Severus did not agree and shook his head. He had nothing wrong with Amelia Bones and she would definitely make a good guardian for Potter, but, she was like Minerva. She would not know how to take care of an abused child.

That was the only reason for it. Nothing else.

"....what is wrong with Miss Amelia Bones? I'm sure she'd be a great guardian for the boy." Poppy asked

"Yes she would Poppy, if Potter hadn't been abused...but, he has and she must be quite busy with her important job at the ministry and permanently taking care of her thirteen year old niece, with just her brother to help. No, she would not be a suitable guardian for the boy" Severus explained

An exasperated sigh came from Albus who leaned back in his seat on the couch.

"Alright, we won't leave Mr Potter with Amelia Bones then...I have one more person, I thought might be a good candidate for the boy this summer and perhaps permanently,"

This caused both Poppy and Severus to raise an eyebrow at him.

"And who is that, might I ask?" Severus asked

"Remus Lupin...now hear me out, before you say anything Severus. He was very good friends with James and Lily Potter and would have lots of stories to tell Mr Potter about his parents and..."
Albus didn't get to finish as he was cut off by the potions master.

Snape said in a sarcastic tone, "And he will no doubt turn an abused child into wolf biscuits." He stood up from his armchair and forgetting all about the medi-witch being in the room, he yelled, "No, absolutely not headmaster! I will not allow you to turn Lily's and James's only son into doggie snacks, instead of leaving the boy with someone else who knows how to deal with abused children and...and who won't turn him into a meal." with that he sat back down again in his armchair, his arms now crossed against his chest. He turned his head away, so that he wasn't looking at Albus.

He didn't care about the boy, he just didn't want anything else to happen to his friends son again, especially since he had just been abused, also, they did not know what condition the boy might be in until he woke.

"....do you have a better idea then as to who would be a more suitable guardian than the Weasleys, Minerva, Amelia Bones and Remus Lupin?" Albus finally asked after sometime.

Without thinking, all Severus responsded with was, "me."

******

For half an hour or more, the study was quiet, save for Severus's heart beating heavily against his chest.

Did I really just suggest that?

He shook his head at that thought. I haven't had much sleep lately. That was the only excuse Severus could come up with. Sure he wanted to take the boy in for the summer, but he didn't know the first thing about being the only carer for a child, especially one that was abused.

Normally at Hogwarts, he was able to, but that was because he kneew if he messed up in anyway, someone would help, but here at the manor during the summer when most of his colleagues were busy with their own families or however they spent the summer.

"You can't be serious Severus? You hate Mr Potter." was Poppy's response after getting over her shock.

She respected Severus and even though she knew the man when he was a student at Hogwarts himself, she truly thought of him as an equal, not someone with less intelligence or experience as her, it was just that the medi-witch knew how much the man hated the boy and if she was being quite honest with herself, she knew that she would not be able to have a relaxing summer as she would no doubt be worrying if the potions master had killed her patient or not.

"Yes Poppy I am serious, besides, when have you ever known me to joke about anything like this?" Severus responded, feeling a well known guilty feeling creeping in his chest as he recalled the past two years and how he had treated the boy.

It was an act, most of it anyway. He reasoned with himself.

"I know that Severus, but as I said before. You hate Mr Potter, I always hear from other students how you always comment on how arrogant his father was, come on Severus, that was years ago and besides...."

A coughing sound coming from the headmaster, cut Poppy off and luckily just in time too as Severus would have lost all control and most likely blurted out the real reason behind his behavior towards the boy.

"I think that is a wonderful idea my boy, you will be a great guardian for the boy. The only question is, are you planning to take on permanent guardianship or temporary?" Albus asked

It was silent again in the study, but it didn't last as long as it did before. "Temporary, until September. Should give us time to find a more suitable guardian for Potter and at the same time, I can work on healing him so that he's ready to start his third year along with the rest of his classmates." Severus said with a confident tone.

Albus looked a little disappointed at the potions master's descion.

"Are you sure about that, Severus?" He asked, making sure he was hearing correctly and hoping the potions master changes his mind and decides on applying permanently.

Severus nodded after a moment of silence. Thinking before saying anything, he finally replied in a smooth tone, "yes headmaster, I'm sure."

The headmaster gave a small sigh. What have I done?

"Very well my boy, I will bring the papers tomorrow for you to sign."

Beside the headmaster, Poppy huffed. "You cannot be serious Albus. Severus hates Mr Potter..."

Albus put a hand up, automatically silencing the medi-witch.

"I know what you're trying to say Poppy, but I trust Severus with the boy's life..." that comment caused a strange warm feeling in Severus's chest at hearing that. "I know for a fact that he won't allow any more harm come to Harry and for that reason, I strongly believe Severus will be the right guardian for Mr Potter...."

The potions master didn't hear the rest of what Albus said as he was too caught up in his own thoughts. He thinks I'd be the best guardian for Lily's and James's son. He truly wondered what the boy's parents would think if they were here right now.

"Well, Severus, I do believe Poppy and I must take our leave now. I shall see you tomorrow afternoon with the guardianship papers." Albus said, bringing Severus out of his thoughts.

Severus gave a small nod in agreement to that. "Thank you headmaster and see you tomorrow afternoon" he got up from his armchair and walked over to the floo with his colleague and employer.

Albus flooed first, bidding both Poppy and Severus goodbyes before stepping into the green flames.

"I shall come by on Tuesday Severus to see how Mr Potter is, considering that is when he should hopefully wake from his coma...please, do not hesitate to contact me, should anything happen before then." Poppy pleaded, he rolled his eyes at her, but nodded.

"Do not worry Poppy, should something go wrong I promise I shall contact you straight away." The potions master promised, he then watched as his colleague disappeared through the floo.

Severus turned on his heels ready to leave the room and perhaps continue with brewing, but his elf, Lucy appeared just before him.

"Yes Lucy,what is it?" he questioned in a serious tone.

"Master Severus sirs dinner is ready for you's." She happily announced, then waited seeing if her master wanted anything else.

"Thank you Lucy, I shall be there shortly. I need you to check on Mr Potter for me and after that, I want you to go to Privet Drive to collect some of Potter's things from there and bring them back here." Severus ordered

Happy to be given another order, Lucy nodded eagerly. "Yes master Severus sir, I's will be back with young master's things." With that, she disappeared, leaving Severus to make his way to the dining room.

His stomach grumbled as he followed the scent of roast chicken and roast potatoes.

It was time for dinner.

******

Tuesday finally arrived and it was nearing the afternoon when Harry started showing signs of coming out of his coma. Lucy who had been ordered to watch the boy since her master had bought him to the manor two days ago, noticed small movements and quickly disappeared to where she knew her master would be.

"Master Severus sir, young master is waking up" Lucy squeaked, popping into her master's private potions lab.

Keeping his concentration on pouring the dreamless sleep into glass phials, the potions master instructed his elf. "Thank you Lucy, I shall be up momentarily. Fetch madam Pomfrey for me as she'll want to be in the room when Mr Potter wakes."

"Yes master Severus sir, I's will's be back with mistress medi-witch." With that, Lucy apparated out of the room followed by a loud POP.

Finishing up with pouring the potion into the last phial, Snape quickly screwed the lid shut and placed it in his pocket as he hurried out lab and up to the guestroom.

His ward was waking up.

Am I in heaven?

Maybe I'll be with my parents again.

Were the first couple of thoughts that popped into Harry's mind, as he could feel himself lying on something soft and warm, like how one would imagine lying on a cloud would feel.

"...he waking up? Poppy, I thought you said he woul..." A familiar male voice said, to Harry, the voice sounded almost worried.


"Shh Severus, he's waking up now." Another familiar voice said, this time it was a female voice.

Harry frowned in confusion. Who's Severus? Who's Poppy? and why are they here? The only Severus he knew was Severus Snape, dungeon bat of Hogwarts and Harry was a hundred percent sure, the man would not be there as he knew Snape hated him. Plus, the man probably wasn't dead.

"That's it Mr Potter, wake up. You're doing well child" the same female voice encouraged.

Harry flinched at first when he felt someone touching his hand, but shortly gave a relaxed sigh when he felt someone massaging his hand. He couldn't ever remember anyone doing that before. Only remembered seeing Petunia doing that with Dudley when he was ill...something he always wished she did for him when he was ill instead of locking him in his cupboard...he didn't want to remember that, so instead he focused on the gentle voice encouraging him to wake up and the caring hand that massaged his.

"Well done Mr Potter, you're doing a good job child. That's it Mr Potter, open your eyes, you can do it." repeated the same female voice.

Both the medi-witch and potions master watched as the boy's eyes slowly fluttered open and soon they were looking at confused emerald eyes.

For a moment, Severus was completely lost in those familiar emerald eyes. Lily's eyes...

"Where...where's my glasses?" a nervous voice startled the potions master out of his thoughts. The man reached into his robed pocket, the same one where he always keeps his wand.

"Terribly sorry Mr Potter..." Severus said, as he handed the boy his glasses, the potions master then continued, "I must have forgotten they were in my pocket"

Harry hesitated at first, not sure if it was a trick or not, but for the-boy-who-lived, he couldn't be sure whether to trust Snape or not. Didn't the man hate him just as much as the Dursleys do?

He never tried to physically hurt you though, did he? A voice inside his head answered back. still hesitant, Harry cautiously reached for his glasses. Relief washed over his face the moment he had them in his hand. It wasn't a trick. He thought as he slid them on his face, glad he could finally see again.

It always made him feel vulnerable when he didn't have his glasses as he couldn't see without them and it didn't help with memories of the Dursleys always teasing him, holding his glasses in his reach then took them away again before he could take them back, which would then be followed by a few slaps and shoved in his cupboard...

He shook his head, clearing his thoughts of the Dursleys. At the moment he didn't want to think about his relatives and so to distract himself, he decided to look at the room he was in.

A creamy painted wall with a navy blue carpet...he frowned again in confusion.

"W...where am I?" Harry nervously asked, seconds later, he panicked, remembering he wasn't allowed to ask questions and instinctively he raised his arms up to protect his face, waiting for the blow.

"...isn't here Mr Potter, you're fine child. It's just myself and Severus." Pomfrey said gently.

When the boy calmed enough, Poppy lowered her patient's arms away from his face while she quickly fished a calming draught out of her pocket. As a medi-witch, she always carried a phial or two when walking around Hogwarts. You never know when going to run into a student having a panic attack or something similar.

Harry swallowed the familiar tasting liquid. Remembering from last term and last year when he was in the hospital wing after defeating Voldemort, both times.

"..od boy Mr Potter...I need you to respond if you can hear me, child." Poppy calmly instructed

Harry gave a small nod. "Y...yes ma'am" he nervously responded, though he didn't know why. As annoying and firm as the healer was, she always made himself feel as if someone actually cared if he got better or not and she always made sure he ate everything on his plate.


"Well done Mr Potter, now I'm just going to use a diagnostic scan on you, making sure everything's fine." Poppy said gently

She waited for the boy to either nod or say 'yes' and when Harry nodded, Poppy got to work.

"Thank you Mr Potter, you did very well." Poppy said, putting her wand back in her pocket. She was pleased the boy didn't panic or anything similar. Turning to her colleague who had been silently standing in the corner, not wanting to distract the medi-witch from her job. "Severus, can I speak with you outside for a moment?" She asked in a tone that left no room to argue.

"Of course Poppy" Severus just said, giving a small nod. Turning to his ward, he just said, "I shall be back in a moment Mr Potter and I shall answer any questions you may have. For the time being, I suggest you rest" with that he walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Once the door was shut, Harry just stayed on his bed, staring at the door. Still confused and wondering where he was if he was not at Hogwarts or Ron's house. He also wondered why Snape was here and acting...less Snapeish? The man hadn't said anything snarky yet or belittling.

The boy sighed a little as he rested his head back on the pillow. Later, he would think about it, right now though, for the first time in almost two years since he started Hogwarts, he was going to listen to Snape for once and just rest.
To be continued...
Chapter 3 Confessions & Rules by RavenMooney
It was nearly dinner time when Harry woke, this time though it was just from his rest. Weakly, the boy pushed himself up so that he was sitting up in bed. Automatically, Harry reached for his glasses, which were currently sitting atop the bedside table on the left side of the bed, sighing in relief when he could feel the familiar feel of his round rimmed glasses.

For the second time that day, Harry slid his glasses on, once that was done, he decided to have a look around the the room, maybe work out where he was, however there was nothing familiar about it, besides his broom and trunk...his heart stopped when he noticed something.

Where's Hedwig? Did unc...did Vernon kill her?

A silent tear or two rolled down Harry's face at that thought, to some people in both the Wizarding world and muggle world, Hedwig was just a pet or an owl, but to him, Hedwig was more than a familiar, she was his friend, the only friend who truly knew what his homelife was like during summer. She had been his only companion at the beginning last summer and the summer before first when Hagrid dropped him back home after his trip to Diagon Alley. More tears trickled down his cheeks as another thought occurred to the-boy-who-lived.

Who would I have to listen to me now? No one ever listens to me apart from Hedwig, no one ever cares about me in both the muggle world and wizarding world, all everyone cares about is the-boy-who-lived. Unlike his friends at Hogwarts, he was alone in the world, sort of like a stray dog. No one will ever love a worthless freak.

"Come now Mr Potter, I'm sure the room can't be that awful." Came a familiar silky voice, knowingly bringing the boy out of whatever thoughts had caused the tears on the boy.

Jerkily, Harry raised his head up, looking in the direction of where the voice came from, while quickly wiping his tears away with his black silk pyjama sleeve.

"Sor...sorry sir" Harry automatically said, sliding his glasses back on now that his eyes were free from tears.

""That is quite alright Mr Potter, I'm certain we can change this room to suit your preferences" Severus responded, attempting to lighten up the mood. He knew all too well what the boy was thinking when he walked in, as he also had similar thoughts the very first time he woke at his uncle's manor.

Recognising the man standing in the doorway, Harry instinctively raised both his hands protecting his face, as if expecting Snape to hit him, sure the man hadn't done so before, but after what his uncle had done...Harry was now mistrustful of every man. People can change. He thought bitterly.

Damn muggle man! Cursed Severus silently, already making his way over to the bed. Unlike Poppy, Severus preferred to use potions less as the calming draught can be very addictive if used all the time,besides, it was another way for him to gain the boy's trust, he wouldn't be able to do that with a calming draught.

Feeling the bed dip before him, Harry stiffened the moment he felt someone pulling him close. Heart thumping so loud as if it was going to pop out, Harry let out a panic scream of pleas, all the while kicking his legs at whoever his 'attacker' was.

"Potter, relax. You're safe here. No one's going to hurt you, you're uncle's not here." Severus said in a silky calm tone, repeating the words of comfort, while rubbing comforting circles on the boy's back. At first, it had been awkward for Severus, as he had not comforted anyone since that awful night when Lily and James were killed, but after a few minutes of doing so, it got easier and felt less awkward.

Muscles slowly relaxing, Harry eventually, but slowly opened his eyes. Cautiously, Harry lowered his arms from his face, settling them low enough to see, but high enough to be able to lift his arms up again to protect his face. He had expected to see a hand ready to strike or a fist ready to punch, but the only thing he saw was just black, nothing else. Harry frowned in confusion, wonderering who it could be, but for now he didn't care one bit who it was as this was the first time he could ever remember someone comforting him.

The Dursleys had never comforted him, and in primary school, there wad only one teacher called Mrs Drake, she was his year one teacher who knew about his life with the Dursleys and had tried to help, even if his relatives lied, saying he had told the school lies about them, Mrs Drake was the only teacher who still believed him, that was until she left the school a few years later, then he was back to hsving only just Arabella Figg hugging him, that was fine, just minus the feline smell from her cats.

Several minutes passed, when Harry tried to pull away, believing he had soaked up all the comfort from whoever the person was, but they didn't let go, just continued with rubbing comforting circles, the boy sighed, realising he was going to be stuck for awhile in the persons arms.

"It's alright Mr Potter, you don't have to get up just yet." Severus said, though he loosened his hold on the boy, now that he wasn't kicking his legs any more.

As he stayed sitting on the edge of the bed with his ward still in his arms, Severus wondered how those muggles could have treated a child so bad to cause a panic attack like the one Potter had earlier on.

Ten minutes later, the professor heard grumbling sounds and with hs free hand, the potions master took out his wand to cast a quick tempus charm. 5:45pm, dinner time.

Finally releasing his hold on Potter, Severus stood up from the bed, calling his house elf at the same time.

"Yes master Severus sir?" Lucy asked, seconds after Popping into the room.

"Bring a chicken ceasar salad, a bowl of chicken and mushroom soup with a buttered bread roll and two glasses of water, also a nutritive potion. That is all, thank you." Severus ordered

Lucy nodded. "Yes master Severus sir, I's will have dinner ready shortly." And with that, she popped out the bedroom again.

*****

Half an hour later, both guardian and ward received their dinner, Severus had mentally filed away Harry's eating habits, after noticing the boy waiting for him to start eating before he ate himself.

He held back a smirk, glad the boy didn't notice the nutritive potion in his chicken and mushroom soup.

"I believe you're still wondering where you are?" Severus finally asked in a casual silky tone, remembering Potter asking where he was the first time he woke from his coma.

Still confused as to why Snape was being...nice, Harry slowly nodded his head. Yes, I am still wondering where I am.

"Well...you are at Snape manor. It has been in the Snape family since the early 18th century, my fath...my father was the was the last known Snape until I was born, then when he died, I inherited this manor as I am now the only known Snape left." Severus explained

So...why am I here? Harry wanted to ask, knowing very well Snape hated him, but instead he decided to ask in a hesitant voice, "how...how long have I been here sir?"

"You have been here since early Sunday morning...headmaster Dumbledore asked me to check on you and when I found you in the condition you were in, I thought it best to bring you back here, with me where madam Pomfrey could heal you. It is now Tuesday early evening." Severus responded in an even tone.

Oh. Harry thought, still confused as to why he was at Snape's house, he guessed that it must have been Dumbledore's idea as well. Why else would I be here in Snape's house?

"Why...why am I here sir?" Harry finally asked in a small voice.

Confused, Severus frowned, leaning forward to place his empty salad bowl on the bedside table. "What do you mean?" The potions master leaned back in his armchair.

"You're house...why am I here sir? You...you hate me!" Harry asked again, in a small voice, though slightly raised towards the end.

Oh. Silence filled the room as the potions master wondered what to tell the boy. He had two choices,he could either tell a little white lie to the boy, telling him that Dumbledore didn't give him a choice, or he could just tell the boy the truth and say he had volunteered to become his guardian for the summer. Severus sighed, wondering why it felt so hard. Making up his mind, Severus decided to go with the former, though when he opened his mouth to speak, no sound came out as his coal black eyes locked with Emerald eyes staring back at him, waiting patiently for him to give an answer. "Lily." He accidentally whispered, not knowing his student, now ward heard him.

It was Harry's turn to frown. Why did Snape just say my mum's name? "Sir?" A small voice broke the potions master out of his thoughts.

"Oh, uh...I...I volunteered to become your guardian for the rest of the summer so that I can help you heal from what you've suffered at the hands of your relatives...the headmaster agreed with me, knowing that I have alot of experience in dealing with children who've been abused..."

"I haven't been abused." Harry cut in, without realising it.

"Then how do you explain the scars on your back Mr Potter if you haven't been abused, well?" Severus asked, purposely in a snarky tone. "Let me guess, the-boy-who-lived created those scars on purpose as a way to get more attention. As if you don't get enough attention already with your fame...is that it?" Harry shook his head, knowing Snape was well off. "No? Perhaps, your relatives didn't get you enough Christmas presents last December and so you decided to get them into trouble..." again, Harry shook his head. "No, then why do you have scars on your back Potter..." the boy flinched, "and why do you flinch when I call you Potter?"

"No...no, it was...it was my unc...it was Vernon, he...he hit me with his belt." Harry confessed, sniffling, not caring at all who he was telling.

Severus listened quietly to the boy still sitting on the bed, unknown to both of them, Lucy popped in, taking both trays of food with her and popped back out. His anger rising at what he was hearing. How dare they lock a child in a cupboard under the stairs as punishment or when they didn't want to look at him? why did Albus even think of leaving James's and Lily's son with those hearless muggles? Oh, I am going to have a serious talk with Albus next week about this. Is that why he never told me who he placed Potter with? So I wouldn't take the boy away from there and look after him as if he were my own.

Coming back to reality, Severus noticed Harry looking nervous. He let out a small sigh, of course he'd be nervous. He's just told his most hated professor his homelife. "Thank you for telling me that Mr Potter, knowing that will surely help me when it comes to healing you both physically and emotionally from the abuse you have suffered at the hands of your relatives. I will promise you this Mr Potter, anything you tell me confidentially, I will not say anything to anyone unless you allow me to do so. Will that be fine with you?"

Uncertain, Harry narrowed his emerald eyes at the potions master, nodding his head when seeing no sign of any lie.

"Good. Now as I was saying, I have had many experiences in dealing with abused children and with those experiences, I do know, you won't yet trust me, especially considering the way I treated you for the past couple of years at Hogwarts, but I promise you this Mr Potter, I will never hit you, beat you, starve you, lock you in a cupboard or touch you inappropriately like your relatives have done. I have never hurt a child and nor will I start now, especially a child of Lily's." This time Severus realised himself saying Lily's name, his heart stopped. Did I just say that out loud? Did Potter hear me?

Frowning in confusion, Harry wondered why Snape kept saying his mother's name. Were they friends?

"Sir, were you...were you um, friends with my mum?" Harry nervously asked, forgetting for a moment all about what his relatives had taught him at the age of four. 'Freaks like you, aren't allowed to ask silly questions.' That was the first and last time he had asked the Dursleys about his parents.

Well...there goes my cover. Severus thought, when the boy asked the question he had been dreading.

The potions master gave a small sigh, hoping he wasn't making the biggest mistake of his life, yes, he wanted to tell James's and Lily's son every memory he had of them before they were killed, but he didn't want the questions he knew the boy would no doubt ask afterwards, mainly the question which would be hard to find a truthful answer to, without being too truthful. Slowly, Severus nodded his head, responding to Potter's question.

"Yes, I was friends with your mother, ever since we met on the Hogwarts express at the start of our first year when we shared a compartment together, we remained friends up until her death..." Severus explained, wondering where to go from there. "When she was pregnant with you, she asked me to promise her something and I did...the promise I made to your mother was that I'd protect you should anything happen to her or your father, and ever since the Dark Lord targeted you, I helped in protecting you...I still am, which is another reason why I volunteered to become your guardian for the summer. If you would like, I shall tell you some stories about your mother, during your stay here?"

Excited, but still uncertain of this new Snape, Harry nodded. "Yes sir...I'd like that."

"Very well, I shall tell you some stories, but not right now as I need to discuss the rules with you..." Harry stiffened at the mention of rules, which didn't go unnoticed by Severus who mentally filed it away for anything similar in the future, then carried on with what he was going to say next. "The first rule is, I for all three meals, I expect to see you in the dining room trying to eat at least half you food instead of starving yourself as you are too underweight compared to your classmates, with breakfast and dinner I will give you a nutritive potion to take, you've already had some this evening when I asked Lucy to put a couple of drops into your soup. Breakfast is at 8:00am, lunch is at 12:30pm and dinner is at 6:00pm. Understood?" Severus said in his usual authorative tone he normally uses when teaching potions.

Thinking of what Snape said, Harry slowly nodded, uncertain of the rule, but didn't want to keep the man waiting. Sure, Snape might have been good friends with his mum, but Harry wasn't a fool, he knew rules could change in a blink of an eye. He learnt that while living with the Dursleys, who had always purposely changed the rules just so they had a chance of punishing him.

"Good. The second rule is, there will be no lying. If you have any problem at all, I want you to come to me, and if I ask you something because I suspect you're having a problem, I need you to answer me truthfully as I cannot help you if I don't know what's bothering you. Promise?"

Frowning in confusion at that rule, Harry hesitantly nodded, which caused Severus to sigh.

"Do not nod your head if you are uncertain of what I say as it will lead to trouble for the both of us, also a verbal answer if you please, Mr Potter." Severus said in a stern tone.

"Yes sir, I...I promise." Harry said, still hesitant.

Nodding in response, Severus continued with his rules. "The third rule is, you may wonder anywhere you like, just not pass the wards outside, any rooms that are either closed or locked, you may not wonder into them, as they still some have dangerous items in them thst belonged to my...father. You may, use the library on the third floor, and you may borrow books from there if you are interested, but I expect any books that are taken out of the library to be put back...the only shelf you are not take books from is the top, which I have already warded, so do be careful of those wards. My lab, you are also not allowed to enter unless I am in there and have given you permission as I could be in the middle of brewing something dangerous if disturbed, my bedroom is also off limits, but should you need anything at all and I am in there, I want you to knock first and I should come see what's wrong, even if it's just nightmares, I want you to come get me. Alright?"

Again, Harry hesitated before nodding. He wasn't sure about this rule or the last rule as he was used to dealing with problems by himself. He wasn't sure what to do, as Snape could turn out like the Dursleys if he went to the man with a single problem. Aunt Petunia laughed at him when he went to her about Dudley and his gang, that was the first and last time he ever went to anyone for help.

"Now, the fourth and final rule is you will keep this room, which will be your room for the summer, tidy. That is all you have to clean. Is that fins for you?" Severus said, cutting through Harry's thoughts.

Harry nodded at that, glad Snape wasn't going to work him like a house elf, but he was still hesitant as the rule could change where he had to work like a house elf.

"Very well, now the punishments..." Harry flinched at the last word, and again it didn't go unnoticed by Severus who mentally filed it away for any other future incidences. "Should I catch you breaking any of these rules, I will take your broom away...depending on the situation, if you happen to put your life into danger, then I will give you a list of chores to do for the week and again your broom will be taken away. Is that clear?"

"Ye...yes sir" Harry said, understanding Snape's serious tone.

"That is good. Tomorrow, I shall give you a tour of the manor if you are up to it." Severus offered, receiving a nod and a small 'yes sir' from the boy. "Very well. Now, what are you interested in doing now?" He asked, in case the boy wanted to do something instead of just sleeping.

Looking around the room, Harry's eyes landed on a small bookshelf standing beside his broom...that was when he remembered his owl again...blinking back tears, the boy looked up at Snape. "Where's Hedwig sir? my...my owl." He asked nervously

Ah, that's what those tears were afrom. Severus thought, following Potter's gaze. "your owl is perfectly fine Mr Potter...she's currently being taken care of by Hagrid, due to the broken wing I discovered when my elf came back with her. Do not worry about her, she'll be fine. in fact, I have been brewing some potions for Hagrid to give to her so she can heal and be back here with you" Severus casually replied

Harry nodded at that. Looking back at the bookshelf, he asked Snape if he could just read a book. Nodding, letting the boy know he could read a book, with his wand, Severus accioed an interesting book from the shelf he thought the boy might be interested in reading.

"Oh, thank you sir...I...I love this book." Harry said in a small voice when receiving the book now in his hand. The title of the book read, Charlie and the chocolate factory. A book, Harry had read more than once during his time at primary school when he used to hide out in the library, away from Dudley and his gang.

Raising an eyebrow at the boy in surprise, Severus asked, "you've read that before?"

"Yes sir...more than once." Harry said and again it was in a small voice.

Surprised, Severus held back the smile. He knew Lily had an interest in reading, but James on the other hand hated reading, he would only read if he had nothing else to do and he and Lily were reading themselves in the Hogwarts library. Guess the boy is more like Lily than James.

"Your mother gave that book to me, as a twelfth birthday present...I have kept it in good condition ever since." Severus said, struggling at first to say what he had finally said.

Still confused with this new Snape, Harry nodded in response, hearing the unasked question. "I'll take good care of it sir." He said, glad, but also confused as to why Snape was allowing him to borrow his book if it was that old...the Dursleys never trusted him with their possessions. He remembered one time when he tried to play with Dudley's toys. Aunt Petunia just said, 'freaks aren't allowed to hplay with nice toys' she then handed him Dudley's broken toy, before locking him in his cupboard under the stairs.

"That is all I ask...now, I shall leave you be as I have some potions to brew, but I shall come check on you before bed...if you need the bathroom, it is just outside, on the right as you step out into the hallway, be sure to ask Lucy to help you for now as you will struggle with walking, my room is just across the hall from this room. Alright?" Severus said, standing up from his armchair.

Harry nodded, watching as Snape left the room. It wasn't until he was alone again when he gave a small sigh as he opened up his favorite book to the first chapter. Perhaps this summer might be good after all.

******

Later that same night barely a few hours after Harry dozed off while in the middle of reading Charlie and the chocolate factory, the boy woke up screaming, in a cold sweat, gasping for air and shivering all of a nightmare he never wanted to have ever again.

Before he could decide on doing anything else, a wave of nausea hit the insides of the boy, as soon as the sickening feeling passed, the boy let out a relieved breath, glad he wouldn't be sick. At least that will be one less thing to make un...un...uncle Vernon angry. With that thought, the boy shivered again, this time from fear. Without a second of hesitation, Harry fumbled in the dark room for the lamp switch, switching it on the moment he managed to find it.

Emerald fearful eyes darted around the room and even though everything was blurry without his glasses on, Harry let out another relieved, but nervous breath he had forgotten he was holding in. I'm....I'm not, it...it was only a nightmare. The boy thought, deciding now was probably the best time to look for his glasses, however, instead of doing just that, Harry felt another wave of nausea hit, this time though in a matter of seconds he found himself leaning over the side of the bed, vomiting up what he had last eaten. Dinner.

Popping into the room unknown to the young Gyffindor, Lucy, due to being a house elf, her magic, since she's bound to her master, she was also bound to whatever house her master lived in. Meaning if there was a mess somewhere in the manor, she'd feel a tingling feeling and finding herself being apparated to the room that now needed cleaning. Upon arriving into the room, Lucy, seeing the young master Harry Potter being sick, she popped back out, knowing what she needed to do.

Severus entered the room not a minute too soon, pausing in his steps when he spotted his ward vomiting over the side of the bed. For a moment or two, the professor wasn't sure how to actually go on.

Sure he's comforted many sick children due to them either being homesick or among many other reasons, but they were his students, his snakelets, but the young Grffindor who he used to be so familiar with before that dreadful Halloween night, he didn't know what to do or how to proceed. Here he was being given a second chance with the boy, with Lily's and James's son, the boy who he had been fond of once upon a time, the boy who he had verbally bullied during the boy's past couple of years at Hogwarts for several reasons and now he was standing there in the doorway, feeling worried that he might mess his second chance up.

Turns out Severus didn't need to decided as his feet already decided for him and now he suddenly found himself standing by the bed, wearing a confused look, the boy would have seen if he was able to focus, wondering how he had somehow managed to get from the door to the side of the bed. Coming out of his thoughts, the professor realized the boy was speaking in a hurried, nervous voice and at the same time, the young Gryffindor was trying to scramble out of bed.

"I'm....I'm sorry sir I....I....I can cle....." Knowing exactly what the boy was trying to say, Severus interrupted him.

"Mr Potter, there is no reason to apologize, you did nothing wrong....as for cleaning up, you will do no such thing. You are not a house elf" Severus said in a firm tone as he put a guiding hand on the boy, stopping the child from his weak attempts at getting out of bed while ignoring the flinch. Slowly, Severus withdrew his hand, after giving the boy a stern look, only to notice right then that Potter still didn't have his glasses. Glancing over at the bedside table where Potter's glasses sat atop, the professor picked them up and handed them over to the boy, who was in the middle of wiping the remains off of his face with his black silk sleeve, belonging to a pair of pajamas that Severus had leaned to the boy. Rolling his black eyes upwards, the professor knew that he would also need to teach the boy some proper manners. Blasted muggles! "Your glasses Mr Potter, you can take them off when you go back to sleep, but right now you will most likely need them....now, you are not to leave this bed for the rest of the evening and as it is late, you will rest...."

"But...." The nervous Gryffindor started again and for the second time, Severus interrupted.

"As I have said less than twelve hours ago that should you need anything, you are to call either for me or Lucy, the same rule applies at night time....now if you want, I can offer you some stomach soother, a potion which will prevent you from getting sick again." The potions master offered

Fear clearly was clearly showing in the boy's emerald eyes. the young Gryffindor shook his head, as if to clear whatever thoughts he had been thinking and in a small voice he responded, "I'm....I'm fine sir"

Black eyes narrowed at the Emerald eyed boy, Severus knew with out a doubt the boy was lying and was sorely tempted to use ligilimens on his ward, however just as quick as that thought arrived, it left the professor's mind....at least for the time being.

With a small sigh in which the boy thought the professor was angry or fed up with him, started panicking again. Badly wanting to curse the muggles into the next century, Severus said in the same firm tone, however it was also a gentle tone.

"There is no reason to worry Mr Potter, I am not angry with you....I just know that you are lying to me which we have already discussed earlier on over dinner." Severus paused here, thinking of how to go on. Seeing the boy was about to respond, he held up a hand, instantly stopping the boy from opening his mouth. "Now, I know that you did not just throw up for no reason and I would like to know why so I can prevent it from happening again, however I cannot do so unless you promise to be truthful with me." Severus let his words sink into the boy, giving sometime for his ward to think before responding.

At first the potions master could only see fear and nervousness in the boy's eyes and Severus wondered what could be going through his ward's mind right now. A small hesitant nod was the only thing Severus received from the young Potter boy and the potions master, considering how late it was, decided to let it go, just for tonight, however the boy would have to give verbal answers starting from the morning that was slowly creeping round the corner.

"Very well, now....were you feeling, perhaps ill by any chance Mr Potter?" The potions master decided to ask.

On the bed, Harry thought about Snape's question, wondering why he had been sick. Maybe it was cause of the nightmare I had. Soon enough, Harry felt sick again at the reminder of his reccent nightmare. He knew now, why he had been sick all over....his eyes went wide once again with fear, thinking the man will be angry with him and if he wasn't angry, he knew without a doubt the man would look at him, the same way his own relatives always do whenever he had been ill or had a nightmare. Hesitantly, Harry glanced up at the potions master, seeing no anger in the man's facial expression, he wasn't sure whether or not to tell the truth, or just not give an answer at all.

Giving a small shake of his head, the Gryffindor had finally made up his mind and in a truthful voice, Harry responded, "no sir" knowing the man can't hit or punish him if he wasn't lying, which he wasn't. Ha, you're far from the truth Snape. I was right, this summer's going to be oka....

"....a nightmare perhaps?" Severus asked, the next and most likely reason that had popped into his mind, knowing full well that it was not homesickness and being the head of Slytherin, you're bound to have students feeling or being sick after a nightmare of their abusive families or traumatic experiences. With confidence the potions master glanced down at the boy and he knew he had hit the nail with that question.

"N...n...no sir" The boy quickly shook his head, after coming out of his own fearful thoughts.

Giving the boy an incredulous look Severus knew the boy was lying. "Mr Potter, I do hope you remember our conversation earlier this even at dinner and also a mere...." Taking out his wand, the professor muttered the Tempus charm so he could have a look at the time. 4:14 am. "Seven minutes ago....now as I know that you've had a nightmare which resulted to you being ill, I will give you some dreamless sleep." Severus finished in a calm tone, his black eyes looking at the boy with a stern expression that left no room for arguments. His wand still in hand, the potions master summoned a phial of dreamless sleep from his lab.

A flash of stubbornness crossed the boy's face and underneath was what Harry was truly feeling right now. Fear and mistrust of the man before him. Sure he said he was friends with my mum, but that doesn't mean I'm going to suddenly trust him. Aun....Harry swallowed thickly, thinking about the times his aunt had treated him like trash. Petunia was mum's sister and look what she did. Shaking his head at that reminder of what is aunt recently did, Harry knew that it wasn't her fault. It's my fault, I'm a freak so she left along with Dudley.

Harry was pulled out of his thoughts when something came flying into the room and landing in Snape's hand. Stiffening, the boy was reminded of what had led him to those thoughts, stubbornly, he shook his head at the man.

"N...n...no sir, I'm....I'm fine. I...I don't need any potion" Harry said, his voice laced with stubbornness, "sir" he finished, truly not wanting to drink any dreamless sleep potion right now. After the events of both the Chamber of secrets and the philosopher's stone, Madam Pomfrey had given him some of the potion which made the drinker sleep like the dead, he knew that he wouldn't wake up and it would give Snape a chance to do anything to him if he was out like the dead.

A shiver ran down the boy's spine as images of what he feared Snape could easily do to him if he wanted to with that chance. He flinched back when he heard the professor speak.

"Mr Potter, is....is everything alright?" Snape asked and Harry frowned in confusion, certain that the professor's tone was laced with concern, however he shook that thought away.

Why would Snape be concerned. He hates me. Harry thought, shaking his head again, this time at the professor. "I'm fine" was all he responded with.

Silence followed his response and Harry instinctively felt that he should raise his arms so they were protecting his face from any blows that were sure to come his way. With a nervous glance Harry looked up at the potions master only to squirm under the studying look that Snape was giving him, the same way he normally looks at a student's potion or when he's marking essays.

"If nothing is wrong then, drink the potion" Harry heard the head of Slytherin say in a no nonsense tone. For some unknown reason to Harry he looked up at the man, this time, pleading in silence, pleading he wouldn't have to take the potion. Unfortunately the man asked again how he was feeling and Harry again replied saying he was fine, which he wasn't. "Mr Potter, it is late, I am tired and I have no doubt that you are as well. If you do not drink the potion yourself, I shall have to spell it into your stomach....however, this conversation won't be over as we will be discussing this in the morning when we've both had some decent sleep." The professor said, this time in a threatening tone that left no room for arguments, which Harry knew all too well from the previous couple of years and so he gave a small sigh and with a shaky hand, Harry nervously took the phial that Snape had uncorked himself.

Reluctantly Harry drank the potion and tiredness quickly took over when he had swallowed the right amount of dreamless sleep that Snape had instructed, the boy's emerald eyes were now droopy, ready to close any second. Now that he was feeling too tired, Harry didn't react when the professor's hand came into view, taking the phial from him without any hesitation. His body hadn't even stiffened and his thoughts were slowly lessening.

Standing by the bed Severus pocketed both his wand and the phial, after recorking the potion which looked as if it had yet to be used as the boy had only drank a couple of drops. The professor glanced down at his ward who was now sleeping and for a moment the man stood their, quietly, making sure Potter was fully asleep before slipping the boy's glasses back off, as he had done so earlier on in the evening as well as early Sunday morning when he had first bought the unconscious Gryffindor to the manor. He shook his head, not wanting to think about that as he himself did not want to take dreamless sleep and he knew very well that if he didn't occlude well and allow his mind to wonder off to memories of students in the past who've been abused as well as the boy who was currently sleeping in his guest room, he would most likely get memories of his own childhood come back to haunt him in a nightmare.

The professor yawned which he took as his cue to leave the room, however before turning to the bedroom door, the man's black eyes looked down at the boy and without a thought, a traitorous hand belonging to Severus, moved towards the boy and his long slender fingers ran through the wet messy raven black hair for a short while until he soon realized what he was doing. QUickly, without thought, the professor withdrew his hand away, glaring down at it as though it was the Dark Lord himself. Turning back round in a forty five degree angle, Severus headed towards the door. Not looking back, he left the room, crossed the hallway and over to his own bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

Once Potter has physically healed fully, Albus can take him. Severus thought, calming himself down before a panic attack started all by using occlumency. With his breathing back under control within a few minutes, the professor thought back to his last thoughts concerning the boy and knew that right there and then that he agreed with them. He now knew that he definitely wasn't going to keep Potter for the entire summer.

Albus or I had better find a suitable home for Lily's child before August. Were the last thoughts of the potions master before succumbing to sleep.
To be continued...
Chapter 4 Tour Of Snape Manor by RavenMooney
Author's Notes:
Snape gives Harry a tour of his manor.
The following morning, as soon as breakfast was over, with Snape eating all of his porridge and drinking most of his chamomile and peppermint tea, while Harry only ate at least three spoonfuls of his own porridge and only drank a few small sips of his milk which had been laced with some nutritive potion. The potions master, after calling Lucy, she had appeared into the bedroom, which Harry's been using since arriving at the manor, took the two trays of food away, had stood up from his armchair and made his way over to the bed where his ward was currently sitting up on, nervously watching him.

The young Gryffindor quietly sat there, listening to Snape's explanation of the familiar charm he had heard Madam Pomfrey using many times throughout the last couple of years he has been to the hospital wing.

"Reprehendo vulnera" Hearing the familiar charm, Harry waited with bated breath for the results. In the previous two years of his time attending Hogwarts, Madam Pomfrey normally gets bad results most of the time and decides to keep him in bed for another twelve hours at least.

Luckily though for Harry, luck today was on the boy's side who, in a small nervous voice had asked the professor if his wounds hadn't open and as soon as the man had gave him an honest answer, he breathed a sigh of relief.

"Well Mr Potter, I shall leave so that you have your privacy while getting dressed, then we shall begin with the tour." Harry heard the man say. Still not trusting the man, Harry watched the professor leave the bedroom. Happy now that he could leave the bed and wouldn't have to stay in the room with only reading to do, Harry swung his legs over the side of the bed. With a small smile forming on his lips, the boy climbed out and after a moments hesitation the boy walked cautiously towards his trunk. However, due to not being on his feet since Saturday, Harry's legs weren't strong enough and so he fell flat onto the carpeted floor with a loud thud.

Heart racing, Harry had no time to move before the bedroom door swung open revealing a concerned look on Snape's face, however that look quickly disappeared into an unknown look. Scared of the outcome and familiar images of his time at the Dursleys, Harry weakly scrambled backwards until his back was pressed against the wall, under the bedroom window.

"I'm sorry sir, I'm sor..." Harry started, only to be interrupted by Snape.

"No need to apologize Mr Potter, it is I that should be the one to apologize as I had forgotten that you have not been on your feet since you left Hogwarts...." Severus said, apologizing to his ward. "Now, with apologies behind us, why don't you come sit back on the side of the bed while I pick out an outfit for you." He suggested. It was the least he could do for his forgetfulness. Now standing by the boy, Severus held out a helping hand for the boy to take.

Patiently he waited and waited until Harry finally deemed that it was safe enough to accept the helping hand of the Hogwarts potions master, who gently pulled him back up on his feet and guided him back over to the bed where he quietly sat down on the edge of the bed without argument.

"After a good rummage through the boy's school trunk Severus had finally finished picking out an outfit for his ward, though confused as to why the boy didn't have any decent clothes that weren't badly stained or without holes in, he found a t-shirt, baring a few holes, that would have to do along with a pair of stained jeans and boxers that were....he quickly glanced at the boy and back again at the black boxers and with a shake of his head, he knew without a doubt that the boy's relatives not only abused and starved him, but neglected other needs, meaning didn't buy him any proper clothing. With a sigh, Severus walked back over towards the bed, planning to remedy the situation and hopefully before the end of summer, he would have by then bought the boy some proper clothing.

"Here you go Mr Potter....would you like some help getting dressed or should I just spell these on you?" Severus asked, hoping the boy would choose the latter.

"I'm....I'm okay, sir" Severus heard his ward quietly say. For a minute or two, the man just stood there, studying the boy, wondering whether or not to let the boy get dressed on his own and silently he thought back to what he would usually do with one of his injured, abused snakelets.

"That is not an option Mr Potter, until you are strong enough not to fall over, you'll be needing help with getting dressed. In fact, Madam Pomfrey herself mentioned this to me the other day....unfortunately another thing I had managed to forget." Severus said in a firm tone. "The charm that I plan to use on you to change your clothes, is one that I am sure you have certainly heard Madam Pomfrey use, during your many times in the hospital wing. The charm is called mutare vestimenta sua and I assure you that it will be quick and easy and comfortable." He finished, and while he got out his wand he let his words sink into the boy who had been thankfully paying attention, although, his ward's emerald eyes were looking at him with a lack of trust, which he had felt slightly hurt by at first, but shook that feeling away. After all, the boy had every right to look at him with wary eyes, considering the way he had treated him since he had first arrived to Hogwarts.

With a fearful gulp, Harry took a few deep breathes to calm himself and then glanced up at the potions master, giving a small nod in response. "I'm....I'm ready sir" Harry said

'Very well then." Snape, knowing exactly what the boy had chosen, without having to use legilimency on his ward, pointed his wand at Harry and with a flick of his wrist, and muttering the spell, instantly the black silk pajamas disappeared and were replaced with the outfit that Snape had picked out.

Bloody hell! Severus thought the moment the appalling clothes appeared onto a nervous Harry. Damn those muggles! And Damn Dumbledore for sending the boy there in the first place! Severus cursed, planning on asking the old man on why he hadn't listened to him on that dreadful Halloween night, when he had mentioned of who he knew Lily had trusted to raise her son. The Carrows are definitely getting a birthday present this year. He amused, images of whatever the boy's relatives looked like, gifted to the Carrows on a silver platter.

"Come, we might as well begin our tour now of Snape manor" Severus finally said, once he had come out of his thoughts, remembering that, not only he had the tour to give to the boy, but a potion brewing in which he had timed last night to be ready by two hours before lunch, in hopes that he would be done with the tour by then so that he could add the last couple of ingredients to the avian pain relief potion.

Both wizards were found downstairs in the kitchen half way towards the end of the tour of the manor.

"This Mr Potter is the kitchen which you may come to in between meals at any time of the day whether you are hungry or thirsty or both and you don't want to call Lucy...." Severus paused, studying the boy for a minute and with a tone that listen well or else there'll be trouble, the man continued. "The library, and my study are both off limits with food, however, you may bring a drink in there if you are careful not to spill whatever you're drinking on anything, meaning on the furniture or books, or the floor. If you do and I find out, you will be banned until I say so. Understood?"

Harry gave a small nod and with a quiet voice he said, "ye...yes sir"

Severus studied the boy for a moment before also nodding back, letting the boy know that he accepted the response. "Good" was the only word that came out of his mouth for a few moments. After some time done thinking, the professor indicated with a long, pale, slender finger, to an oak door that matched the rest of the other doors around the manor. "That door there will bring you to Lucy's room. The only time I am sure you'll most likely enter is either when you want her for something or I give you, as punishment, to clean her entire room from the ceiling to the floor. Now I shall allow you a few more minutes to have a look around the kitchen, then we shall carry on with the tour." Severus finished

True to his words, a few minutes later, Severus was once again leading the boy around the manor on the ground floor. Having already shown the boy all of the rooms up on the second and third floor, as well as his study, the kitchen and the dining room on the current floor they were on, they now had the living room, training room, conservatory and his potions lab to visit then they'd be done.

Severus led the boy back out of the kitchen and across the foyer to the living room which was diagonal to the room, they stood there in the room for another good 5-10 minutes with Severus explaining about the living room and rules the boy had to obey if he wanted to enter. Once done, they walked back out and turned towards the main staircase of the manor. Instead of walking up the stairs however, they passed the stairs and turned round the corner. A long, dim lit, twisting, hallway that would bring them to the last of the three rooms that Potter had yet to see.

Quietly walking along the twisting long hallway with painted silvery walls and dark maple flooring, Severus slowed his pace a little when noticing the boy was limping. Foolish boy! Why didn't he say anything?

After another good feet or two down the hallway, passing a closed door which Severus could tell by the way the boy was looking at it, that he was most likely to investigate in the near future, the professor stopped mid stride.

"Are you alright?" He asked, trying to sound more professional than concerned.

Harry gulped, not really expecting that question and for a quick moment, Harry was sure that the man had a concerned look on his face, but it had vanished so quickly before Harry could be sure. Still not trusting the man himself and not caring that Snape had said that he knew and was 'friends' with him mum, Harry worked out on what response he was going to give the man.

"Yes sir, I'm fine" He said tersely, carrying on walking in the same direction even though his leg was hurting. Though he stopped once again, feeling his heart drop in fear when he heard the man call him back in a tone that meant listen or else. Swallowing nervously, the boy slowly turned round to face the professor who had his arms folded while stalking over towards him.

Right there and then, Harry swore that his heart might just jump out and probably knock into the professor's chest.

"I'm...I'm sorr...sorry sir" he quickly said in a nervous, shaky voice, hoping the apology would calm the man down.

At the apology, Severus let out a small sigh. "Mr Potter, though I appreciate the apology which in fact was needed...I am not angry, well actually I am, but not as much as you might be thinking." Breathe, Severus breathe. You can do it, you faced the Dark Lord a number of times, I'm sure you can deal with saying a few words that you wouldn't normally say to anyone. "I am however....con....concerned, as you are my ward for the summer, I am responsible for everything to do with you and if you hadn't walked off like that, I would have suggested on you resting down on that seat over there." The potions master indicated with his head to a dark green leather couch further down the hallway. "Which I still stand by. No do not deny it Mr Potter, it is very clear to me that you are limping....besides, I would like to check your wounds as well, make sure all of Madam Pomfrey's hard work hasn't come undone while we were walking around this huge manor of mine." With that Severus guided the shocked boy further down the hallway, stopping at least four feet ahead where the boy, with reluctance, sat down.

Like at breakfast, Severus took out his wand again, used the same charm and checked the boy's wounds. When he found that none seemed to be reopened, he put his wand back into his pocket.

"It looks like you're in luck today Mr Potter, your wounds like at breakfast, have not reopened....no do not get up yet, you still need to stay resting for at least a few minutes or until I say otherwise. Is that clear?" Severus said in a firm tone.

*****

Now that he was rested and Snape had shown him the conservatory Harry followed the man to the training room. They passed another closed, which Harry noted he would check what's behind that door later. Maybe sometime today, after the tour. Harry decided as he shortly followed Snape through double oak door.

"Welcome to the Snape manor training room Mr Potter....during your time here, you may feel free to use this room to practice any spell work. Yes, I will allow you to use your wand, the ministry will not know about it either to do with the strong wards surrounding the manor. In fact, you can come in here to do your homework, say for instance, transfigurations or charms and so on." The potions master said, causing a small, hesitant smile to spread across Harry's face as he thought about all the spells he could learn over the summer.

I was right, this summer won't be so bad after all.

Refocusing his attention back on Snape, Harry listened to the rest of the things the man was saying and the smile quickly vanished, just as quick as it had appeared at the professor's next words.

"....er you will not be able to practice any curses. Should I find out you have been using your wand to practice any curses...." Snape's lips twitched upwards, the look Harry was used to seeing all too well on the man's face whenever he planned to take points and assign detention. "Well, lets just say that your wand and I will be very acquainted by the end of summer. Am I clear?"

Harry nodded followed by a quick 'yes sir.' Quietly, Harry wondered if he had his hopes up too high as he had a couple of curses he wanted to practice, so when the time comes and he and Malfoy have another duel against each other, then he won't make a fool of himself, plus he was sure it would be a much fair fight. As he knew without any doubt that Malfoy probably had been taught certain spells by Malfoy senior and maybe Snape, after all, there's a rumor going round Hogwarts saying the potions master is in fact the 'prince' of slimy snakes's godfather. It made sense, after all the man always favored the little git over everyone else.

".....you" Harry heard Snape say.

"S....s..sir?" Harry timidly asked, wondering what the man had just said. Why don't you ever learn to listen Harry? The boy silently rebuked himself, fearing that Snape had maybe said something important.

Honestly why did I ever agree to become a potions professor at Hogwarts? Severus inwardly groaned, rolling his eyes upwards, annoyed that he had to repeat himself...then he stopped and a thoughtful look crossed the man's face for a short quick moment, as he thought back to what he had just said. Thank goodness the boy hadn't been listening, my reputation would be ruined before next week if he had. Glancing down at the boy, Severus was prepared to tell a little white lie or just act like he had not heard his ward, however a clear, realistic image of an angry Lily appeared in his mind. Looking almost as if she was telling him off for ignoring her abused, healing son.

Things I do for you Lily. Severus thought, glancing back down at the boy.

"Nothing important Mr Potter, I had merely said that if you would like, I could perhaps teach you a spell or two....that is however, after I have finished brewing all the potions I need to brew, so sometime next week." Severus said in a truthful tone. A shocked look appeared on his face as he caught the boy smiling. It wasn't a big smile, but he was still shocked that he had been the one to cause that smile.

"Ye...yes sir...I'd like tha...tha...that sir" Was all the boy responded with, still smiling.

Hmmm, maybe I am good at this. Severus mused, wondering what he had been so worried about last night. Though he did know why, there was no way he was going to confess to himself the reason behind his back peddling thoughts hours ago.

"Come, I believe I have my lab to show you then we'll be finished with this tour." The professor said after the room being silent, save for the sound of the two wizards breathing, for a few moments.

Nodding in silent agreement Harry followed Snape back out of the room. Turning left, they walked down the hallway with Snape, remembering every now and then to keep his pace slow, so the boy didn't need to waste his energy on trying to catch up with him.

Turning a corner Severus led the boy down a dim lit, cold stone staircase that would take them down to his potions lab. At the bottom of the steps, they halted just outside a closed door that was completely different to the rest of the house. Instead of being an oak door like, Severus had guessed the boy would have expected, but instead it was a strong steel door, with a matching handle and unlike the other doors around the manor, there was a double glazed window in the upper center of the door, where you could look through. Came in handy when Severus had someone staying over and they came down to look for him, instead of opening the door, if he was in the middle of brewing a dangerous potion that can easily be spoiled with the door opening, then that person can just look through the glass window, and vice versa, instead of him opening the door to see who's out there, knocking. He could also look out through the window.

"This Mr Potter is my potions lab, at any time, during your stay here, if you come looking for me and you find that I am in here brewing or know that I am in the middle of brewing a potion, then I want you to knock on this door first...if it isn't dangerous for you to enter, I may say 'come in,' but if it is in fact dangerous then I might tell you to wait for me out here or upstairs. Do you understand?" Severus explained in his firm classroom tone, one he usually uses in class when they're brewing potions. Seeing his ward nod, Severus opened the door, walking in first, he was quickly followed through by the boy.

"Do not touch anything in here." Severus said in a warning tone, after glancing down at the boy, who was looking around in amazement.

Yes sir" Harry responded, looking around the room until his eyes landed on a glass jar with some dark liquid in, that looked like blood. Though he wasn't sure what blood. "Sir...um, what's....what's in that jar over there?" He asked, forgetting all about the Dursleys rules of never asking questions, until Snape looked down at him with an unknown look. Quickly, Harry clamped a hand over his mouth in fear of saying anything that he wasn't allowed to say and the only thing he did do was mumble an apology, behind his hand.

"Put your hand down Mr Potter, that is a filthy rude habit, that I will not allow any ward of mine to keep." Severus said, ignoring the boy's mumbled apology. "Besides I cannot understand you if you've covered your mouth with your hand. Now in answer to your question, that is dragons blood, an important ingredient for the avian potion I am currently brewing." The man finally replied, still surprised by the question, never in the past couple of years had he seen Potter show any interest in potions, nor did he ever hear the boy asking questions about the subject or the current potion they were brewing and now here he was, standing in his potions lab with the young Gryffindor, who had asked his first potions question, nearly two years since he first met the boy that had been sitting in the back of his class.

"Can...can I...I see sir?" This time Harry nervously asked, feeling a little confident, but also still feeling fearful of the man before him. Snape gave a small curt nod, showing the boy the simmering avian potion.

After a long silence that Severus was sure had lasted at least a few minutes between him and his ward, the potions master, finally said, "Well, I believe our tour has come to a conclusion. I shall see you at lunch as I, hopefully will be finished with brewing this potion....I'm guessing you have something to occupy yourself with between now and lunch. Yes, then you are free to go." Severus turned back to his potion, taking out his wand he summoned the jar of dragons blood that he had purposely left out last night to cool down. Sensing the boy was still in the room, the potions master turned back round, giving the boy his full attention.

"Yes Mr Potter?"

He watched as the boy swallowed nervously. Potter shook his head, "Noth...nothing sir, I...never mind" the boy said, wearing a despondent look and with that, the professor watched as his student-turned-ward retreated out of the room with his shoulders slumped.

Deciding to let the unexpected behavior slide the potions master occluded his mind before turning back to his potion.

Finally I can now get back to brewing. Was the first thought that came to Severus's mind, while he added the dragons blood into the cauldron, while stirring anti-clockwise, just as the instructions said to do.

After some quiet brewing for the rest of the morning down in his lab, Severus was finally finished brewing the avian healing potion. With caution, the potions master bottled up the batch into several charmed non-breakable glass phails, corking them closed tight, he neatly arranged them together in one of the many wooden phial carry crates he had neatly stacked in a pile in the corner of his lab.

Calling his house elf, the professor didn't need to wait too long for her to arrive in the room and before she could address herself, like she usually does, Severus cut to the chase.

"Take these to Hagrid," Severus, taking the crate from the workbench by its two handles, gave them to his house elf. "tell him the directions and when to feed them to Potter's bird are all on the back of each phial in here." The potions master finished

"Yes master Severus sir, Lucy will's deliver these to giant master, sir" Lucy said, and with that she popped back out of the room with her small elf hands holding the crate, leaving her master behind.

With his wand still in his hand, the Hogwarts potions master cleaned up the mess in the lab. Once that was done, he neatly put everything back where it belonged. Afterwards, Severus casted a quick tempus charm, checking the time. Seeing that he had at least an hour and a half until lunch time, the professor decided that he should probably go and check on his ward.

That's if I can find him! Severus thought, hoping to Merlin and anyone else who was up there, that he wouldn't have to go on a Potter hunt, looking for the boy through the whole manor. He just hoped the boy didn't get lost in less than a couple of hours since been given a tour of the manor. That would be just typical of a Gryffindor to get lost! He thought, stalking through most of the first floor, before coming to the conclusion that the young Potter child was either up on the second or the third floor, or maybe outside in the gardens.

Up on the second floor it didn't take Severus long to locate his ward, after all, there were only two occupants in this manor now and considering he wasn't the one having a shower, well, it was blatantly obvious that Potter was the one in the bathroom...so obvious that both Crabbe and Goyle junior would have been able to work that out themselves. Severus snorted at that last thought, as he stopped just outside the bathroom door. The one next to the bedroom Potter has been using since Severus had put the child there a few days ago.

Without any hesitation, Severus knocked on the bathroom door a couple of times.

"Mr Potter, are you finished yet?" Severus asked, wondering how long the boy had been showering for. He also wondered what to do with the boy when Potter comes out of the bathroom. Maybe homework? I could help him with some summer homework....he nodded at that idea, plus he needed to do some work down in his study.

In the bathroom, Harry, who was currently standing under the scalding hot water, heavily showering down on him, startled at the unexpected knock on the door, accidentally dropping the body wash sponge he had been using to scrub himself clean. Wasting no time, Harry picked the sponge back up and repeated the process, scrubbing hard everywhere. Warm salty, fresh tears that ran down his cheeks, blended in with the water droplets coming from the shower head.

".....you finished yet?" Harry heard the professor ask, confused, but having no time to ponder on what the whole question Snape had asked, Harry sniffled, wiped the tears away from his face and gave a small nod. Forgetting for one moment that there was a door in between them.

"Mr Potter?" Came Snape's voice, startling Harry out of his train of thoughts.

"I....I'm nearly finished" was all Harry responded with, he just hoped his voice didn't sound croaky to the professor. He wasn't allowed to cry, when he was younger, his relatives purposely punished him if he was seen or heard crying and, though he didn't know Snape all that well, he knew he knew the man probably wouldn't like him crying either, and he would probably no doubt think that he was just being a sniveling brat looking for attention.

At those thoughts and not knowing how long he was in the shower for, Harry decided that it might be best to finish up showering. It wouldn't do him any good if he stayed in the shower, longer than he was supposed to. Turning the water off after a few more scrubs, Harry stood there in the shower for a moment or two before climbing out of the shower, grabbing an old towel with holes in, he had found at the bottom of his school trunk, Harry covered his body in the stained towel, the only towel the Dursleys had ever allowed him to use. Glancing up, Harry accidentally caught a glimpse of his own reflection in the bathroom mirror that was on the wall behind the sink and in that moment, he realized that the Dursleys were right indeed right about him.

I'm a fre....

Harry startled out of his own thoughts once again by another knocking sound at the door. Swallowing thickly and willing his tears away, Harry just said in the most normal sounding voice he could muster, "coming" and with that, he, with one last glance at his reflection, turned towards the bathroom door. Walking over, he unlocked it, cautiously opened the door and when he had just about enough confidence, he walked out of the room, where he met Snape who was looking down at him.

For a moment, Harry thought he saw concern in the professsor's black eyes, but he shook that stupid thought right out of his head. Great, not only am I a freak, but I'm now going crazy! Wait, no, I already reac....

"Good, you're out." Severus said, distracting the boy from whatever was going through Potter's mind at the time. "Go get dressed, afterwards, you are to bring at least a book and two of your summer assignments down to my study, I have work to do in there and since you are my ward for the summer, I will not have you handing in absymal homework come September." He finished in his usual firm, classroom tone, that meant punishment if you disobey.

Watching the boy, Severus noticed Potter's emerald eyes were blank with no emotion, as the boy gave a small nod and a quiet, "yes sir." Deciding that his ward seems fine at the moment, Severus mentally filed the concern away for a later time, knowing there was no reason to be concerned anyway. Plus the boy will most likely be alright by lunch time.

Turns out Severus was indeed wrong. No, the young Potter boy was not at all fine by lunch. In fact, he didn't eat, saying that he wasn't hungry. Severus at first had tried coaxing the boy to eat, but the boy wouldn't even budge. He just sat there on one of the yellow couches in Snape's study, continuing with his homework and so Severus decided to not push the boy into eating, besides, there was always dinner. The potions master was sure the boy would eat at least a few bites at dinner, maybe even more. Right?

Unfortunately the Hogwarts' potions master was once again wrong, this time about dinner. Though Potter did eat a bite or two, but he didn't eat half of what was on his plate and without Severus' harsh words and firm, no nonsense tone, he was sure the boy would have no doubt not eaten anything at all that evening. But as the week slowly passed by, the professor grew more and more worried over his ward, who, even though at meal times, Severus would see him eating all three meals, at least nearly half a plate full, meaning Potter should be getting the proper nutrition from his food as well as the few drops of nutritive potion that was still being secretly added into the boy's food, however, throughout the mornings, right up until the early afternoons, each day, Severus would find the boy eventually out like a light, whatever room they were in, meaning he would sometimes miss meals because the potions master couldn't seem to wake him up.

And those eyes, Potter's eyes....Lily's eyes, Severus had never seen them so lifeless looking, not once since he had stumbled upon Lily's lifeless corpse in the Potter's house at Godric's Hollow, where they were under the fidlius charm, until now.

Severus let out a small sigh from behind his mahoghany desk in his study, where he was currently working. Right now, the professor was working on the cirriculum for the upcoming school year, this September and at the moment, the potions classes he was preparing for was for the first years who would be new to the Hogwarts....he hoped, like always, that there would be one year where he wouldn't be dealing with any abused students. With that thought in mind, the potions master glanced up from his work and over to the-boy-who-lived-to-fall-asleep-during-the-day, yes, once again in the past several days, Potter, his ward, had managed to fall asleep on one of the yellow couches. The A history of magic book, Severus allowed the boy to borrow to do his history of magic summer homework, was now open on the boy's chest, held in Potter's hand.

Getting up from his chair the professor quietly made his way over to the sleeping form of his ward, wondering why the boy seemed so tired during the day when he was sleeping at night, well that's what Severus sees when he goes up into Pott....into the guestroom where the boy currently sleeps. Plus if the boy was having any nightmares, Severus would know this time, without the help of his elf, considering he had spelled an alarm on the bed, letting him know if Potter was in fact having nightmares. At the moment though, since that night when Lucy had popped into his room, saying the boy was being sick, the alarm never sounded, which seemed odd to the potions master, who, from years of dealing with abused teens, knew that wasn't the end of it.

Maybe he really was just sick? Severus decided, but he still wasn't going remove the alarm, not just yet.

With slow, cautious movements, Severus pried the book out of Potter's grasp. He froze, when the boy moved as if he was waking up, however, Potter's emerald eyes remained closed. Holding in a relieved sigh, the professor managed to take the book from the boy's hand, closed it, before placing it down on the coffee table behind where he was standing and for a few silent moments, Severus stood there, staring down at the boy, who, if luck had been on his side, could have very well been his and hopefully, none of the abuse would have happened. Fate, Severus decided, and not for the first time either, was indeed very cruel.
To be continued...
Chapter 5 Several Days Later by RavenMooney
Tiredly, the raven, messy haired boy sat up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes and for oone moment, he forgot where he was.

Strange, I don't remember the Dursleys having a yellow couch in their living room....fear, taking the place of confusion on the young Gryffindor's face, Harry, though he struggled, he still managed to stand up from the couch he had fallen asleep.

"And where do you think you're going, Mr Potter?" A familiar silky tone asked, making Harry startle, looking in the direction of where the voice came from, Harry, without his glasses, recognized the familiar outline of Snape and all memories came flooding back to him. Snape manor, that's where I am. Harry reminded himself, still wondering how Snape managed to own such a thing. Maybe the greasy git's ancestors stole it, after murdering the owners of this house?

"....otter?"

Distracted from his train of thoughts, Harry looked up at the potions master, hiding his confusion.

"Si...sir?" Oh. "Um, n....n....nowhere, sir" he finally responded, remembering the professor's question, from just a moment ago.

Snape studied the boy for a moment with his onyx penetrating eyes. Giving a small nod of acceptance to the boy. He handed the boy his glasses, remembering that he had them in his pocket. Taking them, Harry slid his glasses back on, just as the professor said in a firm tone, "Good answer. Now, sit back down, I have some things to discuss with you"

Frowning in confusion, Harry sat back down on the couch, knowing to obey any adult when they use a firm or dominant tone. He knew, from experience that it meant trouble if he didn't do what they say and he didn't want to find out what Snape would do if he disobeyed the man. Even if he was confused as to why the man wanted him to sit down.

Freaks aren't allowed to si....Harry shook his head, telling himself to listen to the man, sitting on the other couch in the room. He needed to listen to know if he did anything wrong or not. Under normal circumstances, or if he hadn't been abused, he probably would have had the courage to ask the professor if he had done anything wrong, but he didn't have that courage and so he decided to just sit quietly and wait.

"Good, now....are you, are you hungry by any chance Mr Potter?" Snape asked

Harry blinked a few times just to make sure to see if he was dreaming or not. Fearfully, he shook his head, not wanting to fall into any trap, set by the professor himself. The Dursleys used to do the same thing to him when he lived with them.

"N...no sir," were the only words Harry responded with, though when the potions master looked at him, as if he was a very rare insect or something like that, Harry squirmed.

"Are you sure? Lunch was a couple of hours ago, I had tried to wake you, but it seems you're a heavy sleeper" Harry heard Snape say

Before Harry had anytime to respond, a grumbling noise came from the boy's stomach, revealing that he was indeed hungry. Worriedly, Harry glanced up, afraid that the man would yell at him for lying and possibly punish him.

Why can't I for once in my life, obey the rules? Harry asked himself. He flinched back when the professor opened his mouth, expecting to be yelled at, only to let out a small relieved sigh, at hearing the man call for his house elf instead. Good, I'm not in trouble then.

In seconds, Lucy reappeared with Harry's lunch that she had kept warm for the young master. Just as her master Severus had ordered, she handed the boy the tray with a plate of freshly caught cod, which she had bought from a wizarding market earlier on in the day, also on the plate beside the cooked cod, was some vegetables. Mainly, steamed carrots, broccoli and peas, with mashed potatoes on the side. On the tray aside from the plate of food was a glass of water.

"Thank you Lucy" Harry quietly said, when she handed the tray to him.

"You's is welcome little master" Lucy responded, popping back out of the room, after checking with both masters if they needed anything else.

After a few good minutes of silence, waiting for the boy to start eating his late lunch and once Severus knew what to say, the professor opened his mouth and began speaking. Making sure his ward was listening at the same time.

"Now the only thing you will have to Mr Potter is eat your lunch and listen at the same time. Do you think you can do that? Good. Now, the first thing I wanted to talk to you about is your sleeping habits, of which I've noticed you seem to be sleeping quite a lot, most of the time you tend to fall asleep late mornings or early afternoons, sleeping for more than an hour at least...." Severus, sat forward a bit, studying the boy with a hard, firm stare, letting him know that he wanted the truth and only the truth and that there'll be consequences for not telling the truth. He hoped the young Potter boy would know by now, to listen to his tone of voice and know that he meant every word he says. "Are you having any nightmares, that's making you tired during the day?" he finally asked, after realizing that his thoughts were going off topic.

"No sir," was all the boy responded with as well as a small shake in the negative.

"Are you sure?" Severus asked, pleased to know the boy wasn't lying. Maybe he had been ill that evening then, when he was vomiting? Severus thought, feeling a heavy weight leave his chest, now that he had one less thing to worry about.

The Gryffindor shook his head again, letting Severus know that the boy was indeed sure.

"Very well....If you do however happen to get any nightmares, I still want you to come get me or at least let me know and I give you the dreamless sleep potion, like I did that night when Lucy had came to get me. The potion wards off any nightmares you experience and do not want to have." The Hogwarts professor explained, thinking of the other concerns he wanted to talk to the boy about.

The boy only nodded in response, and Severus, decided just this once he would allow no verbal response from the boy. A moment later, the professor glanced over at the boy to make sure that Potter was still eating, seeing that he was, Severus, though pleased to see his ward eat, didn't let his emotions show and carried on keeping his face, neutral. It was then he remembered, the other....concern he wanted to discuss with his ward.

"The other thing I want to talk to you about Mr Potter is your clothes....I have arranged for a tailor to come by to the manor from her home in Paris, some time tomorrow afternoon...."

"But sir, how....how am I meant to pay, I don'...." Potter started

Putting up a hand, the boy immediately stopped talking and just sat there, waiting for the professor to speak.

"Might I remind you Mr Potter that I am your guardian for the entire summer until the headmaster or I can find you a proper wizarding family...and as your guardian it is my job to provide you the things you need, as I see fit. Clothes that aren't three times your size, that don't have stains or any holes on, are something I see fit to provide you with....something your relatives," Severus sneered the last words out, "should have provided for you among other things with the large, monthly stipend, the headmaster was sending them."

Harry stared wide eyed at the professor for more than a minute, his knife and fork dropped out of his hands and onto the plate with a loud clank. Did I hear right? Did Snape say that my realtives were getting a large, monthly stipend? The boy, sat there, thinking back to the numerous of times the Dursleys always saying 'freaks like you aren't allowed nice things.' Something they would always say to him whenever he used to ask for something, at around eight or nine, he had guessed that they just didn't have enough money to provide for him and him only.

"THOSE LYING BASTARDS!" Harry all but yelled, forgetting who was in the room with him. With his mind, clouded with anger towards his relatives, similar to the anger he had towards them that evening when Hagrid came to give him his Hogwarts acceptance letter.

Standing up, Harry put the tray of food down on the coffee table in front of him and stormed towards the door. Still forgetting that Snape was in the room or that he had just used bad language in front of a professor....oh well.

Half an hour later found Harry sitting rigid on the bed, the same bed he's been sleeping in for the past several days, waiting with wide emerald eyes that were filled with fear, for Snape to come storming into the room after remembering what he had said down stairs in the man's presence. His legs were pulled up to his chest with his arms wrapped tightly around his knees, a way to comfort himself as he waited nervously for the professor to show, which he knew was to happen any moment and when Snape does come, the man will no doubt send him packing to, back to Privet drive where his uncle, he knew would be waiting for him.

I'm dead, I'm dead. Harry repeated over and over silently in his mind, wishing, not for the first time that he wasn't a 'dirty fre....Harry flinched back at hearing the bedroom door open. Without a moments hesistation, Harry instictively raised his arms to protect his face, waiting for the blow to come, however, the fearful boy only felt the edge of the bed dip. Confused, knowing that didn't happen whenever his uncle or aunt would hit him, he cautiously lowered his arms, only to see the potions master sitting there looking at him with a....

Is that concern on Snape's face? Harry wondered, though he didn't get very long to think about that as the look disappeared on the professor's face. Something Harry was now used to since being awake, here at the manor for almost a week.

"Sor...sorry sir" Harry quickly apologized, knowing exactly why the professor was there in the room.

"I'm sure you are Mr Potter....and I accept your apology Mr Potter." Snape said, his tone was a silky firm tone, one he usually uses when talking to a student who knows when they're in trouble, basically, Harry was used to that tone by now after having being the one that gets into trouble by the man in the last couple of years, and the few times he's been in trouble here at the manor for the past several days as well. The accepting of the apology part, Harry wasn't used to hearing from the man and he was still getting over his shock that came with it, the moment Snape said he 'accepts your apology.' Something, Harry had never heard from any adult in his life, until these several days he has spent with the professor.

"However," Harry gulped as Snape carried on in the same firm, silky tone, ready to rebuke his ward. "That does not excuse you from you behaviour downstairs...even if you have a good reason for it. Along with that, your language was atrocious downstairs, and though I forgot to mention it last Tuesday evening, you should know by now not to use such language. I am sure your relatives had at least some decency in telling you to never use that foul word, even if it is true." Shocked, Harry's jaw dropped open at seeing the smirk on the man's face, before it quickly disappeared again, just as it had reappeared and now, Snape's face was back to it's usual stoic expression.

"Therefore, you will be punished." Fearfully, Harry flinched back, wishing he could go back in time to change what he had said down in Snape's study.


*****FLASHBACK*****

A seven year old Harry was busy cooking dinner for his relatives when he flinched from hearing his uncle's raised voice.

"BOY! COME HERE NOW!"

"Co...co...coming un...uncle Vernon" Harry fearfully said in a shaky voice, before doing so though, he turned the cooker off, not wanting to burn the dinner as he knew it would mean a few slaps around the head and a week locked in his cupboard without any food and boy was he hungry.

'Potter'

Walking out to the hallway where his uncle was, Harry, knowing what this was about looked up at the man with a stoic expression on his face, well as stoic as it could be.

"Ye...yes uncle....uncle Vernon?"

'Potter, it's professor Snape'

"WHAT DID YOU DO TODAY YOU LITTLE FREAK?" Harry made to open his mouth to respond to his uncle, only to get cut off by the man. "HOW DARE YOU USE YOUR FREAKISHNESS AT SCHOOL? AFTER ALL WE'VE DONE FOR YOU, THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY US? BY EMBARRASSING US, USING YOUR FREAKISHNESS TO GET UP TO THE ROOF!" Vernon yelled at his seven year old nephew, making the boy tremble. He knew what was to come next.

"I...I'm sor..." A tearful Harry got cut off by his uncle.

"SORRY! SORRY! OH, YOU WILL BE BOY AFTER YOUR PUNISHMENT! GET OUT INTO THE SHED, NOW!" Vernon yelled again, his beefy face, all red from yelling at his freaky nephew.

'Harry, you're at Snape manor'

Trained, since day one to do as he was told ever since living with the Dursleys, Harry, sniffling, ran out to the shed in the back garden, knowing it was best to obey than disobey his uncle. There, he took off his over sized, hand-me-down top he got from Duddley once his cousin had grown out of it and stood waiting for his punishment. While there, he wiped his tears away, willing for them to stop, knowing it would make his punishment longer.

Seven year old Harry flinched back violently from hearing his uncle enter the shed, with a quick fearful glance, he noticed his uncle holding a belt.

"Good, you're ready for your punishment I can see" Vernon stepped closer to his freakish nephew, and without warning, he raised the belt in his hand and the first crackle sound of leather hitting a child's skin, caused Harry to bit down on his bottom lip to stop himself from screaming out in pain. That would only the beating hurt more.

'Mr Potter if you do not respond within the next minute you'll have detention for a month with Mr Filch'

*****END OF FLASHBACK*****

Feeling Potter flinch under his hand that he was using to rub the boy's back soothingly, the same thing he would do to his Slytherins who had gone through a nightmare or flashback, the potions master left it there, instead of removing his hand, knowing that the boy needed to get used to a different touch, one that wouldn't hurt him.

"Do you....do you want to talk about it?" Severus decided to ask, the same question he would ask his snakes. The boy in question shook his head, and with a sigh, Severus let the question go, seeing as this was the first flashback since a few days ago. I shall have him talk if he experiences another flashback. Severus decided, nodding his head in agreement with that thought.

"Very well then, as I said last time, I won't make you talk about it unless you are ready or I feel that it would do you more good than not to talk about it. Understood?"

Not yet able to find the courage to speak, the Gryffindor just gave a small nod in response.

Sighing, Severus hated these moments when he was dealing with abused children. "I know that you do not want to talk right now cause you're afraid of how your voice might sound, but I still must insist that you give me a verbal answer Mr Potter." He said firmly

"Ye...yes sir" Potter responded in a croaky voice as if he had been crying, which he hadn't.

"Good. Now...." Severus, thought of a milder word to use for now instead of punishment, fearing he might cause another flashback. Damn Potter's relatives! Unfortunately, he couldn't think of a word right now and so with another sigh, the professor, continued in a gentle, yet firm tone. Doing his best not to set off another flashback. "Now, I know that you do not like that word Mr Potter, but as of right now I cannot for the life of me think of a different word that won't give you a flashback. Now, as for your....punishment," Severus said the word cautiously, waiting for a similar reaction to the last time as he subconsciously carried on rubbing the boy's back, reassuring his ward.

After breathing in and out for a few times, the young Gryffindor gave a small nod to Snape, letting the man know he was okay and he could carry on.

Severus who had seen the nod, understood. Carrying on, he said, "your....punishment, will be scrubbing cauldrons....and a good mouth washing" He added the last part of the punishment in, the moment a memory of his own mother using that as a punishment on him when he was younger, after he swore at his father and though she agreed with him, she didn't want to see her son getting a worse punishment and for that, Severus was forever grateful to his mother, Eileen Snape considering how drunk his father had been that day, whatever the punishment his own father would have came up with, would have been ten times worse than usual.

"Mouth....mouth washing sir?" Harry wondered if that would be anything similar to what his aunt Petunia had given him ages ago for calling her 'precious Diddykins' a fat bullying pig.

"Have you gone deaf Pott...Mr Potter? Yes, mouth washing, that's what I said" Snape snapped, his hand paused on Harry's back for a moment. The boy in question shook his head in the negative.

"No...no sir, I...I was just wondering if it would be anything like....like aun....like Petunia's?" Harry responded, watching as the man furrowed his eyebrows in confusion at the name of his aunt.

With a shake of his head, Snape said, "Depends on the reason as to why your aunt washed your mouth out and with what? But probably not as she most likely used a normal bar of soup whereas I would be using an old family recipe."

This time it was Harry's turn to furrow his eyebrows in confusion, wondering what this old family recipe was. I just hope it doesn't sting. It was then, Harry decided to tell Snape that he was wrong and no his aunt didn't use a bar of soup.

Nervously looking up at the man, Harry raised his hand, like someone would do in school when they knew the answer to whatever question their teacher asked the class.

"Yes Mr Potter" Snape said, back to standing up with his arms folded once again, across his chest.

"Um, sir....actually, my aun....actually, Petunia used um, toilet cleaner on me" Harry confessed quietly, looking down, afraid to see the man's reaction, stiffening as he waited for the laugh or mocking insults that he was sure to come. However, he was far off on the professor's reaction.

"Toilet cleaner, Mr Potter?" Severus asked, occluding his mind. It wouldn't do him any good to blow up in front of his ward, especially if it could cause the boy to have another flashback, something he did not wish to happen. Plus, he might have heard wrong. The boy gave a small nod in response, followed by a small 'yes sir.'

Breath Severus, calm down.

Wound cleansing potion, Wolfsbane potion, Wit-sharpening potion, hmmm, what's next? Ah, that's the one....Wiggenweld potion

Unfortunately, Severus' normal way of calming himself down didn't work.

"THOSE BLOODY MUGGLES! MERLIN-DAMN YOU, ALBUS!" Severus all but yelled to nobody in particular, though if the headmaster was there, he would most likely be the victim. Calmed down now after yelling that out, Severus realized who was in the room. With a quick glance over towards the bed where the boy had been sitting, before he had lost control and yelled those words out, Severus felt a moment of panic seeing his ward wasn't there. Bloody hell Severus, when am I going to learn!

Looking around the room, Severus' onyx eyes shortly landed on the small boy pre-teen standing in the corner, shaking fearfully. Sighing, Severus knew he needed to find someone else to take the boy and quick. He realized he wasn't cut out for this and the sun would have to freeze over before he would allow himself to hurt his ward out of anger.

"I...I apologize Mr Potter, I did not mean to startle you. I was just angry." Severus apologized, it was then he remembered giving the boy a punishment for his language. Severus, you Merlin-damn hypocrite! "I believe, considering my language just now, that I shall have to let you off of your punishment." Severus said, smirking a little at the boy's shock. He realized, this was the first time since he met the boy, nearly two years ago, that he was dropping the child's punishment. "However," He started, this time in the same firm tone as before. "Should you use such atrocious language again in my presence, the punishment I give you will stand. Understood?"

"Ye...yes sir" The boy responded

"Good. Now, ah yes, the other thing I wanted to talk to you about is this, Mr Potter...." Severus dug into his cloak pocket, taking out the boy's summer potions homework that he had been reading earlier on downstairs in his study while the young Potter child was sleeping. "Your potions homework I had set to your year for the summer, which I have managed to read along with you charms essay. While your homework for charms was.....well done, I believe you should re-do your potions homework as there are too many mistakes. This time though, I want you to not hesitate to ask me for help with this" He said, handing the boy his homework to read through himself, seeing what mistakes he had made.

While the boy was quietly reading, checking for the mistakes, Severus took out his wand and accioed a potions book from his study, downstairs, one that had once belonged to his great-great-great-grandmother, Aoife Prince.

"I suggest you have a read through this book, preferably chapter 27. You'll find more about the shrinking solutions potion in that book, than the one I am guessing you were using." Severus mentioned, handing the book to his ward.

Harry looked down at the title on the potions book that was now in his hands. "Advanced potion-making. Sir?" Harry looked up at the professor, this...this isn't um, the um, boo...book you assigned us to...to um, read"

"I know that Mr Potter, however that book that I have given you to borrow to help you with your essay, has the appropriate ingredients and methods in there, compared to the book most of your classmates will no doubt be using." Snape said in a no nonsense tone. "Now, you may either come back down to my study with me and do your homework there, or you may do it up in the library. Whichever you choose, you are to still come and ask for help if you need it...if you choose to do it up in the library, be sure to call Lucy to know where I am." That said, the potions master turned on his heels, swept out of the room and leaving his ward to decide where he wants to re-do his potions essay.

*****

“And where do you think you're going Mr Potter?” Snape's silky tone startled Harry from going any further to the stairs.

Initially, when he had arrived downstairs, he had been planning to take up Snape's offer and join the man in his study to re-write his summer essay, however, he changed his mind when he arrived at the study door. He had then turned round and limped back towards the stairs, planning on going up to the library. He had been too caught up in his thoughts that he hadn't heard the study door opening.

Exhausted, even though he had accidentally allowed himself to drift off to sleep barely two hours ago, the Gryffindor boy refused to show it, not wanting to look any more weaker in front of the professor, than he had unintentionally done so during the past week and a half.

Biting back a yawn, Harry turned round, glancing up at Snape, struggling with not averting his eyes to the ground, like he would have done if facing his uncle, who when he was talking or yelling at him, uncle Vernon disliked it when he, Harry looked at him. Aunt Petunia was another adult who glared and yelled at him whenever he would look up at her. Every other adult however, would tell him off and accuse him of being rude.

“The um.....libr......library sir,” he responded, wondering if he would still be allowed up there. He bit his bottom lip in dread.

Though he had complained the last two years when Hermione dragged him and Ron off to the Hogwarts library, in truth, Harry really loved being surrounded by books. It was the only safe haven he had ever known, along with his cupboard under the stairs.

Silence ensconced the foyer as the two wizards stood there quietly. Harry stood, squirming under Snape's unreadable look, while Snape, with his arms crossed in front of his chest, just stared at him as if he was a rare bug. He narrowed his eyes at his ward, shortly frowning when Harry averted his eyes to the floor.

“To do your.....potions essay I presume?” the professor guessed in a mild tone

With his hands still clutching his quill, ink bottle and the potions text book Snape had lent him, Harry hesitated, before giving a small nod. “yes sir”

He gave in to the need of averting his eyes to the ground, not wanting to keep looking at Snape. Afraid that if he didn't, he would most likely see the familiar sneer on Snape's face. A look he usually gets from most adults apart from Mr & Mrs Weasley, his old babysitter Mrs Figg, who has always watched him when the Dursleys needed her to, most of the Hogwarts professors and his year one teacher, Mrs Smith.

A sharp pang was felt in his chest at the thought of his year one teacher who had been the only adult in his life, up until now to know about his home life with the Dursleys. She had been there for him even when he was in year three, the same year it had been announced by the head teacher during one school assembly, that she had moved to another country. Harry pushed those thoughts away, controlling his emotions, something he had learnt to do at an early age, since working out that punishments given by his relatives were quicker if he didn't crack.

Lost in thought again, Harry almost didn't hear Snape give a small sigh. “Since you are already down here Mr Potter, you might as well take up my offer and come into my study to do your essay.” Snape stepped back from the doorway so that his ward could enter the room.

“It....it's alright sir, I.....I can go up to the,” Harry started

Snape shook his head, glaring at him as if to dare him to finish that sentence.

“I have no intention of allowing you to go traipsing around this manor just to look for the library, when you can do your essay down here in my study, besides, I am sure you will find it is better warm in there than out here or up in the library," the professor said in an even tone, that was before Snape snapped, "In, now, Mr Potter!”

Hesitating a moment or two, Harry gave a small nod. “yes sir” and made his way back towards the study. Limping in the process.

He flinched as an unexpected hand landed gently on his back, guiding him further into the room and over towards the couches. It was the couch closer to the lit fireplace, that he stopped in front of, shortly noticing that Snape's hand wasn't on his back any longer.

“Sit!” was the only instruction Harry heard Snape say.
Not wanting to be told twice or make Snape angry, Harry sat down on the couch, doing what he was told to do like a well-trained dog would do. He bit his bottom lip, nervously as well as to hold back a yawn, he didn't want Snape to question him about his sleep. And though he had accidentally dozed off earlier on, before coming down here, he was still rather tired.

The Gryffindor boy sat there in silence, waiting for Snape to say something else, squirming under the look Snape was giving him, a look he has seen the man give potions (made by Gryffindors) to decide whether to banish the cauldron or not, as well as deciding on whether to ridicule the unfortunate student or not. Usually he would choose both to ridicule the chosen student and banish their cauldron, telling them to start again or to give them multiple detentions. Harry should know as he is usually the unlucky student.

"When did you start limping?" Was the unexpected question from Snape, Harry bit his bottom lip again, unsure how to answer that.

"Not......not too long.......on my way down, sir" Harry responded, averting his eyes to the ground.

Snape's lips thinned. Glancing down at his ward. "Stop that! Do you want your lip to start bleeding?" The professor chided and for a moment Harry looked completely unsure of why Snape had just chided at him.

His mind was swirling in a mixture of fear and confusion as he tried hard to think about what he had recently done to cause Snape to snap at him.

Not that it doesn't take much.

"May I have a look?" Harry was distracted from his thoughts, he looked at Snape in confusion, frowning when he saw the man was kneeling down in front of him.

When did he get down there? The professor asked again, indicating to Harry's right leg, the one that was causing him to limp. He shrugged, not sure how to answer to the professor, or even what to say. He was so tired and he just wanted to crawl back in bed and sleep, never wake again.

"Yes sir" Harry mumbled, reluctantly allowing Snape to check his leg.

He flinched back at first when Snape rolled up his trouser leg to have a look at the wounds and bruises. The professor frowned in confusion, which Harry took differently and flinched back again, covering his face and expecting a blow coming from the man, who seemed angry. However, when no hand connected to his face, Harry, cautiously removed his arms, lowering them when he saw that Snape was still kneeling down, frowning and having a look at his other leg.

Snape glanced up at him with a stern glare. Harry gulped, wondering not for the first time what he did wrong to cause Snape to glare up at him. Still kneeling down, Snape asked in an accusing tone, "did you go into my lab by any chance Mr Potter?"

The Gryffindor boy shook his head in the negative, "n....n.....no sir" he gulped when the accusing look didn't leave the professor's face.

"Are you quite sure of that Mr Potter?" Without hesitating, Harry slowly nodded. The professor's lips thinned. "You had better not.......if you didn't go into......where is your wand?" Snape's eyes narrowed until they looked like slits.
Harry was certain that Snape was trying to read his mind.

"Up......upstairs sir,"

Standing up, the professor took out his wand and accioed Harry's wand. In seconds, the summoned wand landed into Snape's outstretched hand. Without word, Snape shot the boy another accusing look as he went over to his desk where he laid Harry's wand on the table. Harry watch with a churning stomach as Snape muttered a spell.

From where he was sitting, Harry watched as his wand glowed with a bright white light surrounding it. Confused, Harry asked Snape what that meant.

"It means Mr Potter....." Snape started, picking up Harry's wand and making his way back over to the sitting area, "that you haven't used your wand without permission while being out of Hogwarts" the professor finished in a formal tone. "Should I find out that you have been using it without being asked to, you will be a very sorry boy. Clear?"

Harry nodded.

"Good. Now that, that is out of the way, you are to get started on your essay....." Snape paused, thinking for a moment of what to say next, "…...I would suggest you read the chapter first, then write notes and then bring them to me and I shall read them, once I am satisfied, you can start re-writing your potions essay."

"Yes sir" Harry said, pocketing his wand. He then did as he was told, knowing that it was best not to continue to upset Snape, even though he had no idea how he did so in the first place. He gathered his stuff, placing his ink bottle and quill down on the coffee table in front, settled down on the couch before opening up the potions text book on his lap. Flicking through the pages until he found the chapter with the potion he was doing his essay on.

Only Merlin knows how long Harry had been silently reading the chapter on the shrinking solution and when it came time to write notes, Harry automatically reached for where he thought he had left some parchment on the coffee table. Feeling no familiar feel of the material, Harry looked up with a confused frown, his eyes widening in fear. His mind swirled with thoughts on where.....realisation flooded Harry's mind as he now knew that he had left a pile of parchment in his school trunk.

Crap!

Closing the book, Harry put it down onto the coffee table, stood up intending to go upstairs to retrieve some parchment from his trunk, that was before Snape's voice cut through his decision, firmly telling him to sit down in a warning tone, that obviously meant 'if you don't, you shall be washing and scrubbing cauldrons until the day you die'.....well that's what Harry thought it meant. Harry did sit down as Snape stood up from his chair from behind his desk.

The professor made his way round the desk and over to Harry, who started fidgeting. Waiting for the explosion. It didn't come, yet.

"You have done your essay?" The professor asked in his silky tone, his arms crossed in front of his chest.

Hesitating, Harry shook his head. "No sir" he mumbled

"And have you written your notes yet?"

Again, after hesitating, Harry shook his head, mumbling a quiet "no sir"

"Then why were you getting up as if to leave the room, Mr Potter? Did you ask if you could leave? No, you did not and though this is your house as well as mine for the summer, I shall not have you traipsing around this manor getting into only Merlin and Salazar know what mischief......" The professor paused, narrowing his eyes at his wayward ward, "you will stay in that seat and will not leave unless it is to go to the toilet, nothing else. If you are thirsty, ask or call Lucy, same for if you are peckish. But under no other circumstances will you be able to leave that seat until I am satisfied. Am I clear Mr Potter?"

Harry sighed dejectedly, nodding his head. His eyes looking at the floor. "Ye......yes sir" he said quietly, inside he was berating himself. You can't even go one hour without annoying the professor. The Dursleys are right, you really are a freak.....

"Good. Now, why did you want to leave the room Mr Potter?" Snape asked for the second time, bring Harry out of his thoughts,

Nervously, Harry bit his bottom lip, shrugging and reluctantly deciding to tell Snape why he had gotten up and his reason for wanting to leave the room.

"Parchment" was all he said, indicating with his head towards the coffee table with most of his equipment on, when he noticed Snape's confused look.

"Ah, you forgot to bring some parchment down with you I presume?" Snape asked in a gentler tone, Harry slowly nodded, unsure of how the man would react. "Accio three rolls of parchment" Snape said, pointing his wand at the desk by the floo.

Harry watched as three rolls of parchment came flying towards the professor, landing into the man's hand. He handed them to his ward, who looked up at him in shock and a hint of confusion.

"Sir?"

Snape raised an eyebrow at him, "what? You do not wish to do your essay now?"

Harry shook his head in the negative, "no sir, I.....I mean, three rolls of parchment......that's a lot. I only needed one."

The professor snorted, "you need at least three Mr Potter, not one. One roll of parchment will not get you a good grade Mr Potter...... He gestured to the parchment still held in his hand, and Harry, with some hesitation, took the parchment from Snape, thanking the man in a quiet voice. Snape just nodded and went back to sitting behind his desk to carry on with his own work.

Sitting back down at his desk, Severus glanced shortly at his ward, glad to see that the boy was doing his work. He frowned, seeing that the boy was still shivering, holding back a sigh, Severus got the boy's attention. "Mr Potter, if you are still feeling cold, you may use that throw blanket that is currently on the back of the couch you are sitting on to keep yourself warm, also you may order a hot drink from Lucy." He offered

Glad that Potter was listening to him and used the throw blanket to wrap it around him, Severus got back to his own work. Letting out a sigh as he did, knowing that he still has a lot to work on with his ward, like using a blanket or ordering a drink to warm himself up if it is too cold, or that it is alright to use more than one roll of parchment.
Now I know why Potter's essays are always so abysmal when he hands them in.

Blasted muggles!

With another sigh, Severus decided to read over what he had already written down in his lesson plans for his upcoming second years. Once satisfied with what he read, he picked up his quill, dipping the nib into his black ink. Putting the tip of the quill to the roll of parchment, Severus continued writing.

Hmmm.......

'Second term – Have class reading chapter 36 on the Hair-raising potion, in book of potions
Lesson after that, brew the hair-raising potion and assign essay
Read chapter on swelling solution, mini test on swelling solution, next lesson - have the class brew the potion.......'

An appetizing smell of Lucy's cooking assaulted the busy potions master's nose, after what seemed like days of writing but only at least thirty long minutes of working in silence, hearing nothing but quills scratching on the surfaces of parchment paper. Pausing, Severus put his quill against the ink pot, so that any residue of ink left on the nib of his quill would just drip right back into the pot of ink. Taking out his wand, Severus checked the time, seeing that it was nearly time for dinner, he averted his eyes over to his ward who should have been still writing, instead, however, the boy was.......sleeping?

Frowning in thought, the potions master knew that he still hasn't worked out why Potter's always falling asleep at all hours of the day. At first, like earlier on this evening, Severus had thought he brat-who-lived-to-give-him-a-headache, had somehow stolen a potion or two from his ward, possibly by disobeying his rule of not to enter his lab unsupervised or without permission. But after verbally accusing the boy today, Severus felt guilty for jumping to conclusions, rebuking himself afterwards, for forgetting that he had his lab door locked and heavily warded with an excellent password, one that not even Lily, if she were here today, would be able to get into his lab without his knowledge.

Oh Severus, you fool.

A glamour charm was out of the question as well, since he had already checked Potter's wand and the wand had glowed white, meaning it has not been used for days......no doubt since the boy had left Hogwarts, and again, Severus had felt rather foolish with himself, for accusing the boy of using his wand without his knowledge. One, Potter would have received a letter from the ministry, two, he Severus, would have heard his alarms going off, letting him know that Potter was doing something he shouldn't.

I shall contact Madam Pomfrey sometime tomorrow, after Madame Beaumont leaves after fitting the Potter child. Severus thought, making up his mind. He wouldn't put off contacting the medi-witch any longer. Pleased that he had that sorted, a puzzled look shortly crossed the potions master's face when he wondered whether he should or shouldn't wake up Potter just yet. As if reading his thoughts, Lucy popped into the room to announce to both wizards that dinner was ready.

Nodding his thanks, the potions master told his house elf that they would be in the dining room shortly. With that, she popped away, leaving her master to the easy decision of waking up his ward. Plus, Severus would much rather be asleep later and not worry about the Gryffindor wandering around his manor in the middle of the night, getting into who knows what trouble.
To be continued...
Chapter 6 Madam Beaumont by RavenMooney
Early, the next afternoon, green grass flames lit the study fireplace, shortly dissipating to reveal a medium height, slender looking witch, who was at least 5ft5 inches tall, wearing navy blue dress robes that stopped just below her knees. Along with that, she wore a black pair of 3 cm heel closed toe shoes. Her curly black hair stopped just passed her shoulders, dark brown eyes with long black eyelashes. Thin lips and a small hooked nose. Her skin was a pale olive complexion and she looked as if she could be in her late thirties.

Stepping out of the floo and into the familiar looking, quiet study, the witch, clutching her black shoulder Versace handbag, she looked around the lit room, her ears twitching the sound of a quill scratching on some parchment. Turning her head to the direction of the scratching quill, the witch noticed the scratching sound had stopped. Her brown eyes were now met with the familiar onyx eyes of the wizard she was currently visiting.

"Sever......"

"Quiet! Tell me, how many scars did you see on my back when I was fourteen?" Severus asked the witch, his wand pointing at the surprised looking woman, who had taken too long to answer and he, Severus was about to stupefy the witch, but was interrupted by her answer.

"Twenty. I had accidentally seen twenty scars on your back, all received by the man ye once called father." The witch said, Severus, after a short moment of being stuck in a distant memory, occluded and narrowed his eyes at the witch before him.

Seeing that she was telling the truth, Severus gave her a small nod, lowering his wand in the process. "Not that I am happy to see you Colleen, but why are you here so early. I thought we had arranged for you to come at four......"

Severus checked the time with a flick of his wand, "it is just quarter past three." He crossed his arms in front of his chest, looking at her, like he would with his Slytherins after catching them doing something they shouldn't, like sneaking out of the Slytherin dorms after curfew.

He watched as the witch shrugged her shoulders, "well, that was before my customer's wife, Madame Labelle, floo called me to let me know that Monsieur Labelle, whom I should have been fitting in fifteen minutes, won't be able to make his appointment today as he and their two girls are currently sick with dragon pox......said he had caught the illness from their daughters. I asked how sick they were, she said that they were currently being treated in at Hôpital de Jeanne d'Arc." Colleen explained, pausing for a moment, "so, I figured, since I don't have any other appointments until yours......well, the Potter's child, then I might as well floo over here earlier than the planned time."

For a moment, Severus just stoically stood there, his face was void of any emotions as he thought about what the tailor had just told him. Raising an eyebrow, he asked, "you couldn't have floo called me before that to let me know that you were coming early?" The witch just shrugged her shoulders in response.

"Didn't think about it" was all she said

Sighing, Severus rolled his eyes upwards, wondering why he didn't just arrange for Potter to be fitted by Madam Malkin. At least she doesn't floo over without letting me know. "I could have stupefied you, you know" The tailor smirked at him, shaking her head slightly in the negative, and he, having known Colleen for years, knows that smirk. "A little warning next time" he told her, with a tone he usually reserves for naughty students. He then asked if she wanted to sit down, indicating to the couches. She nodded, playfully looking offended, that he hadn't asked earlier.
"Anything to drink, or eat?" Severus looked at the witch, as he sat down beside her. Colleen thought about it, before giving a small nod.

"Surprise me"

Nodding, Severus called his house elf. Within seconds, she popped into the room.

"Bring two mugs of chamomile and spearmint tea, Lucy, one for Colleen here, and one for myself.....and maybe a plate of shortbread biscuits if you will. That is all,"

"Yes, master Severus sir, Lucy will bring them shortly" Lucy nodded, popping out of the room again.

Comfortable with her position on the couch, beside the potions master, Colleen looked at the Hogwarts professor with a serious upon her face.

"So, what's the craic, now that ye have company here for the summer?" She asked, causing Severus to snort.

"I always, as you know, have company here at the manor" he responded seriously, knowing what she meant by 'company.'
"Yes but, you never had......well, you've never had Lily's son staying with you......"

Severus cut the tailor off, "until now"

The room fell into a deep silence as both adults thought about their friend, Lily, who was more Severus's friend, than Colleen's, but still, she knew the late witch, not as much as Severus did, that didn't mean she wasn't saddened at the loss of her friend. Deciding that the room has been silent for far too long, Severus cleared his throat.
"To tell you the truth, I haven't spent much time with Potter......"

"Potter, Sev? You call Lily's son, Potter? Why?" Colleen interrupted, narrowing her eyes at the potions master, who acted as if he didn't just hear her, and continued talking.

"…....as I should be doing......don't give me that look! I've just been busy with numerous things, sorting stuff out for next school year. I do however, plan to spend time with the boy for the rest of the holiday starting next week......as long as I get most of my work done," Severus paused, a thoughtful expression crossed his face as he thought about the few times that he has been spending with his ward. "I have however, spent some time with Pott......(Colleen sent a glare, Severus' way.)…...fine, Harry, though not a lot, but I have been helping him with his potions essay and spending meal times with the boy, trying to make conversation with him. Last week, I did spend meals up in Pott......in the guest room where Pott....." Severus held back the temptation to roll his eyes as Colleen sent another glare his way. Witches. "….... Harry's been sleeping, when he wasn't strong enough to eat downstairs, but it's not a lot of time, to know what sort of permanent home he'll be fine living in" Severus finished,

Colleen nodded at this, understanding Severus's predicament. "I am sure you'll know soon enough, Sevvie." She then looked at him with her arms folded in front of her chest, frowning and was just about to say something, when Lucy popped back into the room, Severus ordered the elf to leave the tray of mugs on the coffee table and both adults thanked the elf before Severus dismissed her from the room. "What have you been doing that is more important than your ward, well Mr Snape?" She used a serious tone, one she reserved for her three children, back in France.

Severus gave her an incredulous look, sighing shortly afterwards. Is it just the women I know, or are all witches like this?

"Lots of things. I was brewing potions last week, sending some off to Poppy, so she can re-stock her hospital wing, I had sent a batch off to Hagrid so Pott......Harry's owl will get better, I am not done brewing, but I shall finish that off later, maybe mid-August when I am back at Hogwarts, preparing for next year......Ah, also, this week, I have been busy writing up lesson plans for the first and second terms, I should be done by Monday next week, should I have no distractions. In fact, I was going to continue while you are fitting the boy this afternoon" Severus explained

Colleen sighed, wanting to tell Severus that maybe he should spend time with Harry more this week and the following weeks instead of worrying about work and planning for September. The boy was Severus's responsibility and since he had offered to be the child's temporary guardian for the summer, then he is meant to put the boy first above everything else, but she didn't tell him, knowing how offended he would easily become and she didn't want that. She loved Severus, kind of like how a sister loves their brother.

"Have you thought about where Harry's going to go Sev?" She decided to ask, having an idea in mind, but she needed to hear what Severus had to say first, lucky for her, the potions master shook his head.

"No, not right now......I will probably figure it out mid-August, depending on how long it takes for Pott......Harry to both emotionally and physically heal. Why? Do you happen to know anyone?"

Collen nodded her head, "yes Severus, I do know someone who will most certainly not hesitate to take Harry permanently in, and so do you."

The potions master looked at her with a quizzical expression, frowning as he thought about who Colleen could be thinking of. He shook his head at her, letting her know that he cannot think of anyone.

"Sean and Maggie obviously Sev,"

"Your brother Sean?" Severus asked, and Colleen nodded her head.

The study fell into complete silence again, as Severus thought about the possible couple that could take the Potter boy in. He knew them very well, in fact so well, that he thought of Sean as a brother. He nodded his head in thought, picturing the boy living with the Princes. He would see Potter quite often as sometimes, he spends the Christmas holidays with the Princes in their manor in Ireland, they currently have two children. A boy, about Potter's age, slightly older and he was sure, without a doubt that Potter and Sean's son, Emmet, would get along. Then there was their eight-year-old daughter, Roisin, who would no doubt welcome Potter into their home, the minute he stepped out of the floo. Then there was the fact that they were pregnant......

"Aren't they pregnant? I seem to recall that they were expecting their third child early next year, sometime after Christmas" Severus said, looking at Colleen for some confirmation, she nodded.

"Yes at least three months pregnant. But you know them, Sev.......I'm sure they wouldn't mind one more, in fact, they'd be fecking delighted to have Harry live with them" Colleen said, softening Severus' mood, as well as letting him know that he was over-thinking things.

The potions master sighed, nodding his head, knowing that Colleen was right. He allowed a smirk to form on his lips, "no, they'd be delighted in taking in more than one child, until they have enough children for two quidditch teams"

Collen snorted in agreement.

A serious expression took over Severus's face, "I shall think about it" the potions master said in a serious, promising tone, letting the witch beside him that he would think about her idea.

Colleen nodded, a small smirk forming on her lips.
"If they're not a suitable family for young Harry, Sevvie, I know someone else that would be great for the boy" She started, wondering if she had a death wish or something, she mentally shook her head, no, she didn't. It is just fun to get on Sevvie's nerves.

"Who?"

"Why, you of course, Sev" Colleen said, smiling at the gobsmacked potions master.
"Me?"

The tailor gave a small nod of her head, "yes Sev. Do you see anyone else in this room besides us two?"

Scowling, the potions master shook his head, he crossing his arms in front of his chest, frowning in deep thought."And pray tell, why you would even think I would be a suitable permanent guardian for Mr Potter?"

"Lily, Severus......you were friends with Lily, and later on, James. Plus, you can understand Harry more than any other person you or Albus suggest"

Sighing, Severus nodded his head in agreement, but he didn't say anything in response, just sat there in silence, imagining what it would be like if he did indeed take the boy in, permanently. He knew, of course, if it came down to that option, he would become Potter's permanent guardian, but that is only as a last resort if he and Albus cannot find anyone who could take the boy in. Luckily, they had until next year to decide. Of course, if they haven't found anyone by September, then he, Severus would continue being Potter's guardian. For he, nor Albus wanted Potter to wind up as a ward of the ministry as it would then become easy for people like Malfoy to get guardianship of the boy and possibly......no, Severus did not want to think about what Lucius would do with Potter, Lily's son and his ward, if he was given the chance.

Lost in their own thoughts, both adults, in synchronised movements, picked up the mugs of chamomile and spearmint tea, taking small sips, after blowing to cool the tea down a bit. Colleen, having a few sips of the relaxing tea, reached forward again, picking up a shortbread biscuit to dip into her mug, enjoying the taste. She turned her head in the direction of the potions master, looking at the familiar, misunderstood man next to her.

"How has work been Sev? I mean I know all about the events that happened at Hogwarts in the previous two school years, having been told by Daddy and Sean.......I just want to know how you managed with Voldemort.......(Severus flinched, glaring at her)…....sorry Sev, forgot," she sent an apologetic look to the potions master, " with You-Know-Who, trying to regain his physical body, twice?" She finished

Gaping like a Grindylow, Severus just stared at her, wondering how on earth he was going to respond to that. He thought back to the previous two years at Hogwart. The first year, at the start of Potter's first year at Hogwarts, the Dark Lord was hiding out in the back of Quirrrell's head and only just last term, memory Dark Lord had almost regained his physical body if, for unknown reasons, Miss Ginerva Weasley, they youngest Weasley, succumbed to death down in the chamber of secrets, then he would have been back. How he was defeated as well as the Basilisk that was using the pipes, Severus did not know, something Dumbledore had for some strange reason, refused to tell him how the Dark Lord was stopped.

Severus had an idea and knew that Potter had something to do with both events, since he was in the Hospital wing during those events, but he just didn't know what Potter's involvement was with stopping the Dark Lord trying to regain his body, twice at Hogwarts. He sighed, looking at Colleen with a truthful expression on his face.

"To tell you the truth Colly, I am positive, that I know just as much as you do about the events. Both times, Albus refused to tell me the whole story of what happened in the time that the Dark Lord was stopped from regaining his body" Severus said, catching the smirk forming on the tailor's face.

What does she know that I don't? And most importantly, why would Albus tell her........well her father, Des, instead of me, his loyal spy for the light?

"Alright, spill it, Colly. What do you know?"

Still smirking, the tailor shook her head a little, knowing very well why the headmaster of Hogwarts hasn't fully told the potions master all that much with what happened last term and the year before that, and she knew that if she told Severus the headmaster's reason why, he would outright deny it.

Disappointed that she wouldn't tell, Severus decided to try a different approach, hoping beyond hope that he could out Slytherin another, older Slytherin. He allowed a small, sly smirk to form on his lips as he looked slyly at the tailor. Luckily, for him, she instantly recognised the smirk and what it meant. He watched as the tailor frowned in thought.

"And just what are you smirking slyly about, Mr Snape?" She asked in a mocking classroom tone, which sounded, scarily like Severus's, only if she was a professor herself, the students would be less intimidated by her. Not to mention her height, some students would take advantage of that if they were taller than her.

Still smirking slyly, the potions master casually responded, "Oh nothing, Colly, I was merely thinking about that memory of you, that I have stored away in my pensieve, you know that Christmas in my fifth year, when you were singing.......hmm, what was that song called again?"

The tailor stared at the potions master with a confused look, but then her cheeks blushed red, now remembering what memory Severus was talking about. One she wished, her family and friends would just forget and never bring it up again, she held back a sigh, not letting Severus win just yet. He's not the only Slytherin here.

Keeping quiet for now, the tailor just glared at the smirking potions master, daring him to continue. He did, while continuing to still smirk.

"Ah that's it, Silent Night, if I recall......oh, weren't you drunk as well? Yes, I think you were. I wonder what your customers shall think when I tell them, the next time I see them," Severus could go on, but he chose not to and just decided to wait a moment or two for Colleen to snap. He wasn't disappointed.

He heard the witch letting out a defeated sigh. "Fine, I shall tell you why Albus didn't give you any more information than you already know. Only if you promise to never bring that memory up again, Sev.....and no, do not tell any of my customers about that memory" she said, glaring at the potions master, letting the professor know that she was being a hundred percent serious.

Severus nodded, promising not to tell the tailor's customers about the memory. Only if she doesn't bring up any embarrassing memories of myself. Severus added, silently to himself. He then took several small sips of his tea, listening carefully to his friend as she told him the headmaster's reason for not revealing all of the information about the previous two events.

"Alright Severus, I shall tell you, but please listen until I am finished, then you may react in any way you want. Just as long as you don't go making me deaf." The witch started, Severus was about to protest, saying that he would not act in such a way that would make her deaf, or close to that, but one look at Colleen, told Severus that he better promise her and do what she wanted, otherwise, he would not be told about anything.

Sighing, the potions master, nodded again. "I promise." Was all he said, before he occluded his mind.

******

Hearing Severus promise, Colleen nodded, thinning her lips in thought. Thinking of Albus's reason for not telling the man beside her, the full story. She bit back a smirk from forming on her lips, occluding her mind in the process, telling herself that she needed to be serious now. Later, and only after she has told Severus, then she could smirk at the man's reaction.....that is when he finally calms down.

She glanced at the mug the potions master was holding in his hand. "You might want to put that down, while I am telling you" she indicated at the mug in Severus's hand.

Frowning, the professor shot her a confused look, but seeing the serious look on her face, he complied and put the half empty mug back down atop of the coffee table. He leaned back in the chair, occluding, he nodded at Colleen, to let her know that he was now ready and that she could start with her explanation. I just hope it isn't too bad.

It was.

Throughout the whole of Colleen's long explanation as to why the headmaster had never told Severus the full extent of the two events that happened last term and the previous year, his nostrils were flaring, but he kept occluding, telling himself to breathe and calm down and to listen to the rest of what his friend had to say. When she got on to telling him about the chamber of secrets and what happened with that, he, Severus, couldn't sit still for another second and ended up pacing the length of his study and back again, reigning in his anger that he so wanted to unleash.

Foolish, foolish, reckless, stupid impulsive Gryffindor.

Halting mid-pace, Severus stopped to look at the tailor when she had finished speaking. Reigning in his temper as best as he could, Severus, with a raised tone, asked, "Are you done?" He watched as Colleen gave a small nod.

"Yes Sev, I'm done. Want to talk......" She was interrupted when the potions master stalked towards the study door. "Severus, what are you doing?" She asked, though she had a pretty good guess where he wanted to go right now.

In a flash, she was on her feet and over by the potions master, her hand on the potion master's shoulder, ignoring the flinch. As if reading her mind, Severus stopped moving another step, though he didn't turn around to face his long-time friend. "You cannot confront him, like this Sev......you'll do more harm than good" she said in a calm tone. She glared when the man before her, snorted, and though Snape couldn't see her glare, he felt guilty.

"Sure I can" the professor said, shrugging the hand off his shoulder, turning back round to look down at the still glaring tailor who now had her arms crossed in front of her chest, "after all, he is my ward, isn't he not?"

Colleen nodded at that, but shook her in response to the rest of what Severus had just said. In response, the tailor responded in the same calm tone as before. "Yes, he is your ward Sev, but that doesn't give ye the right to storm into, Merlin only knows where he is, only to yell at him......possibly fecking scaring him in response and......" She glared at the potions master when he rolled his eyes.

"I will not scare him, it is not my intention to......" Severus paused, his facial expression, much calmer than a moment ago, "…....I merely want to ask him his side of the events" as well as dish out punishment to the foolish, reckless boy! Severus added to himself, through gritted teeth. Occlude, Severus.

The potions master glanced down at the tailor who looked at him with an incredulous eyebrow raised. "And how are ye going to do that?"

Feeling his heart rate decreasing back to its normal rate, Severus sighed, running a hand through his silky, recently-washed, hair. Why did the boy have to inherit his father's recklessness?

"Fine.......how do you propose I should confront the boy about his side of the events?" Severus calmly asked, his Snape inherited temper reigned in.

The tailor's lips thinned in thought, lost in a memory as she looked at the man she had grown up with. "You wait, wait until the time is right for you to confront him.......or until he decides to come to you to talk about it. If he hasn't, then I would suggest you wait until you know you can keep your head on," she added as an afterthought, knowing how predictable the potions master's temper can be.

Silence ensconced the room once again, as Severus thought about what Colleen had just said. After some thinking, he reluctantly sighed, nodding in agreement, knowing that she was, once again right. Blasted Albus for keeping this from me!

If there was one thing, Severus loved about Colleen, it was the fact that she knew how and when to change topics, which is something that she did this very moment. Her way of distracting the potions master from his many thoughts about the philosopher's stone and the chamber of secrets, as well as the one boy that was involved with both events. She decided to distract Severus, with asking about how his brewing was coming along and if he had discovered any interesting, new potions to brew. His reply to both, was a no.

The professor then asked her about how her life was going back in Paris and how her three daughters and her husband were getting along. She nodded, saying that all was going well, telling him that her husband has gotten promoted and is now the senior undersecretary for the French Minister of magic. She mentioned that her eldest daughter, Camilla, will be starting her sixth year at Beauxbatons, come September.

Severus raised a surprised eyebrow at this statement, his face showed no other emotion as he silently calculated the last time he had visited Colleen and her family in Paris.

"Has it really been that long Colly? The last time I visited, your eldest was starting her first year at Beauxbatons." Colleen nodded, telling Severus that it has been that long, adding that it has been even longer that he had visited everyone in Ireland. During this, Severus took out his wand, checking the time. He glanced over at the witch, patiently waiting for her to finish speaking. When she did, all he said was, "I am sorry Colly, but we will have to finish this discussion another time, it is ten minutes to four." Severus put away his wand. "Lucy"

Lucy popped in, asking her master what he wanted. "Find and fetch Mr Potter for me if you would, tell him that it is time for his fitting appointment and that he is to meet us down here in my study. Understood? Good, then you are dismissed." Severus turned to see Colleen ready to use her wand to unshrink a stool that she had just taken out of her bag and placed down on the floor.

"Allow me" he said, taking out his wand again and using the reverse spell for the shrinking charm. The stool grew back to its normal size.

"I could have done that myself Sev" she huffed, putting her wand back into her pocket, she then proceeded to take out some other items, that Severus instantly recognised as part of her tailoring equipment; a wizarding measuring tape, clipboard with some parchment clipped onto to the board, and obviously her, common kingfisher feather self-writing quill, one she's had now for almost two years. It was the very same quill that Severus had bought and given to her as a birthday present, the last time she had come to tailor some clothes for a Slytherin first year student of his, a student that, he, Severus had also been guardian of for half the year, until he had found a suitable family for the student.

*****

It felt like forever, but finally, a tired young Gryffindor boy bit back a yawn, that was threatening to escape, as he stopped in front of the door. Wanting nothing than to just go back up to the library where he could continue to have a rare, pleasant snooze, he knew he couldn't and so with reluctance, Harry reached up a shaking hand, timidly knocking on the door with his fist.

He flinched back when the door opened to reveal the stoic potions master, who just stood there with his arms crossed in front of his chest. expecting to see an angry look upon Snape's face, or at least a sneer, but looking up, he didn't see neither.

Instead he only saw the professor looking at him with a raised eyebrow and was leaning against the door.

"You are late" Snape stated calmly, his penetrating onyx eyes bore into Harry's, causing said boy to avert his emerald ones to the floor. "Why?"

Shrugging his shoulders, Harry looked back up at Snape. "Sorr......sorry sir, I......I um, got lost," he responded, bitting his bottom lip.

"What did I say about biting your lip?" Snape snapped, causing Harry to flinch back a step or two, away from the man. He also averted his eyes back to the ground, only to glance back up when he thought he heard the professor sigh.

"Come, we are wasting time standing here." The professor stepped back from the door, motioning with his head for Harry to enter the room.

Not needing to be told twice or make Snape any more annoyed than he already sounded, Harry, with some hesitation, entered the study. Stopping short when his eyes landed on a young look witch, looking at least in her late twenties, causing his jaw to drop in shock and for a moment or more, he became oblivious to the fact that Snape, his most hated professor was also in the room, that was until he heard the familiar snarky tone of the potions master.

"Close your mouth Mr Potter, you look like a Grindylow,"
Feeling his cheeks blushing red, Harry, not needing to be told twice, closed his mouth. Frowning in confusion, shortly afterwards when he recalled what creature Snape said that he looked like. The Gryffindor boy turned his head to look at the potions master with a confused facial expression.

"Sir, um.....what's a um.....Grindy....."

"A Grindylow Mr Potter?" Snape interrupted

Harry gave a small nod, wondering if he had made a mistake in asking the professor a stupid question. It's probably something everyone in the wizarding world knows already. To his surprise, Snape, after a good few minutes or more of silence, the potions master answered Harry's question and told the boy what Grindylows are.

"In answer to your question Mr Potter, Grindylows are small, horned, sickly green dark water creatures. You will most likely find them in lakes all over Great Britain and Ireland, if you do, I suggest you swim as fast as you can and possibly use your wand......using the revulsion jinx. The jinx, when used, releases a jet of fiery purple sparks at the target, if used underwater, the spell fires boiling water at the target......" For a moment, both Harry and the witch in the room, thought Snape was finished with his explanation of Grindylows, and Harry was about to say something in response about the water creatures, but he heard Snape continue.

"They mainly survive on algae, small water creatures and of course fish.....though rare, but they have been found eating humans......Grindylows are aggressive the only ones that have been known to tame the dark water demons, are Mer-people." Snape finished,

And Harry's mouth formed an 'O' shape. "Sir, I....I still don't get how I look like a.....grindylow?"

Snape's lips formed into a smirk.

"It is a common expression that.....my grandmother Snape, I believe, used to tell me when I was younger. It is a common wizarding expression, a bit like the muggle expression, 'close your mouth, you look like a trout.' Expression or the other muggle phrase, 'close your mouth, you'll catch flies."

"Oh," a thoughtful look crossed the young Gryffindor's face as he thought about what exactly Snape had told him in less than a minute. The sound of the professor clearing histhroat, pulled Harry out of his train of thoughts.

"Sir?"

The potions master rolled his eyes upwards before glancing back at Harry with an exasperated look. "I asked if you wanted a drink or something before we get started with the introductions?"

Harry hesitated, sure he was shaking, lying to himself that it was just cold in the room, not saying anything, he shook his head no, responding to the potions master that he was fine and didn't want a drink. The professor narrowed his eyes at him, before giving a small nod, taking this as his cue to begin the introductions.

"Coll.....(Snape cleared his throat)…....Madame Beaumont, this is my ward, Mr Harry Potter." The professor indicated to the raven haired boy, he then turned to look at his ward, "and Mr Potter (the potions master rolled his eyes) Harry, this is Madame Colleen Beaumont, she will be the tailor who will be fitting you this late afternoon" Snape introduced

The tailor nodded at Harry, giving him a warm smile, gently taking hold of Harry's hand to shake. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Harry.....you don't mind me calling you Harry, do you? I don't usually call my customers by their first name, but you, I can make an exception for. After all, I knew your mother, of course, not as well as Sev.....over there did, but she was considered as one of my friends when......"

Snape cleared his throat again, this time it was too cut off the witch from her rambling, and Harry was sure that if Snape hadn't decided to do so, then they'd be here all the way to the next century.

"As much as this chat is ever so......pleasant, Madame Beaumont, but right now you are here to tailor Mr Potter, not to chat about everything that pops into your mind. You may, if you have time afterwards, talk to the boy" Harry heard Snape say.

The tailor, after shooting the potions master a glare, scowling at the man, she gave Harry a warm look. "This way Mr.....Harry," she said, gently placing a hand on the back of the boy, ignoring his flinch, she guided him over to a small cherry wooden, round stool that she had stood in the middle of the room, just by the professor's desk. She helped the scrawny looking boy up, feeling him shaking under her touch. He felt far too warm.

Maybe he's coming down with something. Colleen shot the professor a certain look, who, luckily was quick to notice.

Summoning his house elf, Severus ordered the creature to bring back a glass of cool water for the boy, she nodded her head, popping back out again, Lucy popped back in with the requested glass of water, handing the boy the glass.

Severus told the boy in a firm but gentle tone that the drink is meant for him and he should have a sip or two. When it looked like the boy wasn't going to drink it, Severus was about to say something else, but was beat to it by Colleen and whatever the witch told the boy, the potions master could see that it had worked and though he felt a small pang in his chest that Potter didn't yet trust him fully, Severus was just glad that the boy was drinking the drink.

As the professor was currently leaning against his desk, with his arms folded over his chest, Severus looked back at the exchange between his ward and Colleen. He heard a few bits and bobs of Colleen explaining how she will be fitting him and what the items that she would be using are called. He watched as the tailor used her wand, flicking it at the boy and within an instant, Potter's over-sized, baggy clothes, no longer looked as if they would fit a baby Killer Whale and were now sitting comfortably on the boy. The way they should have been, if the blasted muggles had a heart.

Severus snorted at the confused, shocked expression Potter kept giving both he and Colleen, while said witch was using her wizarding measuring tape, something that had caused Potter to flinch when he saw the measuring tape in the witch's hand and didn't allow her any closer until he felt safe again and knew that she wasn't going to hurt him. Of course, Severus would have stepped in and reassured the boy that she wasn't going to hurt him with the tape, but he knew after many times watching Colleen reassure his abused students that she wouldn't hurt them, that she could certainly handle Potter.

Deciding that he might as well relieve the boy of his thoughts, as Severus was a hundred percent sure that if he didn't intervene, the boy will no doubt have a headache. He nodded at the boy when he caught the boy looking at him once again.

"In answer to your silent question Mr Potter, yes, Madame Colleen Beaumont and I, are indeed related. She is my maternal first cousin, my mother, Eileen Prince Snape is the sister of Colly's father, my uncle, Desmond Prince." Severus explained, using his teaching voice.

The boy frowned in confusion, looking at the potions master and the tailor. He eventually nodded his head, no doubt seeing the resemblance, much clearer, between both adults in the room. Potter looked at Severus once more, a small shy smile forming on his lips, "you......you um, do look alike, sir"

Nodding in silent agreement, Severus rolled his eyes at his smirking cousin. That can't be good.
"Ye know Harry, if ye want, I can tell you some stories about Sev, here later. After I've finished fitting ye?" The witch, who was up to no good, suggested,

Luckily, Severus thought, noticing the unsure look Potter sent his way, that I have terrified my students enough to not want to hear any embarrassing stor......

"I......I'd like that ma'am.......I mean, Colleen"

Blasted Gryffindor bravery! Severus mock glared at both his cousin and his ward. His expression changed though at the slight of the boy flinching, also noticing that Potter looked as if he could collapse any moment.....hmm, he wondered at that, wondering if he should give the boy a pepperup potion or something, considering how tired the boy looks.

I'll see how he is later, maybe send him to bed once Colly has finished fitting him. He nodded, agreeing with that idea, knowing a nap might help the boy, and while that would be happening, Severus knew that he could also work out what is wrong with Potter, maybe floo call Poppy later, have her come to check on the boy.

This time it was Severus's turn to smirk, recalling of the embarrassing memory he had stored in his pensieve, one he could offer to show the boy sometime. He glanced at the tailor, then at the boy. Yes, I think I shall definitely do that. He smugly thought to himself.

"If you want Po....Mr Potter, I can tell you some stories about Madame Beaumont, that will be far more interesting for you than the stories she'll no doubt tell you," Seeing the boy looking uncertain and catching Colleen smirking at him, Severus added, "in fact, I can tell you one right now......no wait, I can show you the memory later Mr Potter, after Colleen here is finished with your fitting, as it is much entertaining to watch than being told,"

"Severus!" Colleen scowled, cutting her cousin off, glaring at the smirking man. She was now standing back up on her feet, her arms folded against her chest and her eyes never leaving the potions master, "you will not show that memory to anyone"

The evil smirk on the potions master's face disappeared and Severus sighed, "very well, as I have said earlier today Colly, I shall not show that memory to anyone......" The potions master smirked again, adding, "unless you do something that results me to show someone the memory"
Instead of replying to her smirking cousin, Colleen ignored the man, turned her back to him and faced the boy again. She kneeled back down, measuring the boy's calves. It wasn't long until she was finished, and with a flick of her wand and muttering a spell, the price for what Severus owed, floated in the air at her eye level. Dark brown eyes scanned the price in silence, she then turned her back to the floating numbers, looking at the potions master.

"Usually it would be five hundred galleons, Mr Snape, but due to you wanting to pay with the family discount, it is now eleven galleons, and one knutt," Colleen said, pausing for a moment, before asking, "how do you wish to pay?"
Severus, standing up right and leaning away from his desk, gave the witch a look, meaning, 'do you really need to ask that?'

A small gasp bought him out of his thoughts and Severus turned his head in the direction of the gasp, he rolled his eyes at the very readable expression on the boy's face. Looks like I shall be having another chat with the boy today. Severus thought, about to say something, but the boy, for once, beat him to it.

"That's a......you can just take the......."

"Quiet Mr Potter, I'll handle this" Severus interrupted the boy,

"But......" Potter started again, but shut his mouth when the potions master gave him a known glare.

"You are the child Mr Potter, I am the adult, your guardian, therefore, I shall be the one to pay for the clothes......as well as any other necessities that you need." Severus said, swearing to himself and silently to both Lily and James that he would make the boy understand that the money in his vault is for when he finishes Hogwarts or even later on after that, not right now though, when he should be counting on adults capable of providing for him. Giving his ward one last glare, he turned to look back at Colleen, replying to the witch, "with my wand of course, Madame Beaumont" he took out his wand, knowing exactly what to do.

Colleen nodded, she pointed her wand behind her at the floating numbers, flicking her wrist, resulting to the numbers shortly appearing on the next blank space on the parchment clipped to the clipboard, she flicked her wrist again, this time at her self-writing quill, cancelling the charm before summoning it to her waiting hand, pocketing it shortly after it landed. The witch did the same with her clipboard and parchment, but instead of putting them inside her pocket, she handed it over to Severus.

"Ye know what to do" was all she said as the potions master took the board and parchment from her and with a double tap with his wand, under the price, his name appeared, shortly followed by a small green tick. Without hesitation, Severus handed the board and parchment back to Colleen who banished it back into her Versace handbag.

Severus glanced over at the boy who still stood on the stool, holding in his hand, the glass of water, that looked as if the boy hasn't yet drunk out of it, which he did, small sips only, Severus saw with his own eyes. "Finish your water Mr Potter, I do not want to have you collapsing from dehydration.....it can get very stuffy in some parts of this manor sometimes during summer," Severus told the boy, firm, but gentle.

Potter slowly nodded, swaying a little, luckily Colleen was nearby and steadied the boy before he could fall and injure himself. She offered to help him down, something Severus would have done, but decided to let her handle the boy, for he knew she would be like a mother bear when it comes to children, any child, well the abused, ones that Severus brings over to his manor or into his living quarters if the abuse is that bad where they need his undivided attention, and shown that they are not alone in the world.

It is much harder to give them the right amount of attention when school was in session as he had to deal with many other issues as well. In the past, Collen has always fussed and coddled the students of his that she meets, smothering them....a bit like a younger version of Molly Weasley, he smirked, wondering what she would think if he told her that.

The amount of times Colleen would never allow him close enough to assess his own previous temporary wards, Severus eventually got used to it and allowed the witch to fuss over them, at least she makes up for that motherly warmth affection that the children aren't usually used to.

Severus sighed, letting his mind wonder, thinking about the Slytherins he has discovered do not live a happy life and wondering how most of them were doing, the ones that he has found homes for and the ones that, due to their abusers influence in the ministry, he cannot take them out of their unloving environments, mostly because their parents are followers of the Dark Lord and they would have Malfoy senior to back them up and with Malfoy's power over the Minister of magic, well, even if Severus was technically part of the Prince family and his uncle to back him up, Malfoy and the abusive Death Eaters would win without a doubt......

A loud pop in the room distracted Severus from his ongoing thoughts. Looking in the direction of the sound, Severus saw Lucy had arrived back in the room, standing by the couch. What, was unexpected however, was the sight that greeted him. Severus, who had been standing by his desk for quite some time now, made his way over to the couch to where his cousin, Colleen was currently sitting down, a collapsed Potter laying across the couch, the back of his head, currently being supported by Colleen's lap.

"What happened?" He asked, totally out of it, his eyes scanned the boy which is when he noticed what was covering Potter's body. Frowning in confusion and wondering why he had forgotten about the wounds and bruises that had somehow completely vanished from Potter's body, Severus' eyes widened when he saw a couple more wounds and bruises re-appearing all over Potter's body as if they had never left.......

Glamours!

The blasted boy was wearing a glamour charm!

Severus noticed other things he had not seen before, black circles underlining Potter's eyes, the boy's face becoming paler as the charm slowly wore off due to the boy collapsing from extreme fatigue, red marks that weren't there before appeared all over boy's body.

Potter's ribs.......well, from what the two cousins could see, the blasted, foolish boy looked as if he hadn't eaten in days, which Severus knew that wasn't the case as he, himself was eating in the dining room for every meal with Potter, so that left.......Severus inwardly seethed, not at all sure who he was angry with. Himself, for not checking on the boy earlier on, Dumbledore for sending the boy there, the Dursleys for doing this to the boy, Potter for disobeying and lying to him, already breaking two rules, or himself, again, for being too hard on the boy in the previous years at Hogwarts.

He assessed the vials of potions Colleen had obviously summoned Lucy to bring, beside them on the coffee table, was a ceramic bowl filled with warm water and a cloth soaking the water in. Severus told his house elf to fetch Madam Pomfrey right away, knowing that the medi-witch wouldn't be visiting her family until sometime next week. When the elf nodded, popping away to do what she was instructed to do, Severus glanced at Colleen and together, both adults currently in the room worked on healing Potter's wounds that had unfortunately reopened, as well as used the aloe vera paste to rub some into the bruises.

It wasn't long until Lucy popped back into the study with Poppy in tow, who didn't take long to assess the situation. Her once gentle eyes, not seeing the tailor, Poppy's blue eyes turned into fury towards the potions master, who had the audacity to sit there and heal the boy. Without neither cousins to explain the situation, she pounced, (verbally) at the potions master.
To be continued...
Chapter 7 P.T.S.G. by RavenMooney
‘Antidote to Mistletoe Berry poison’

Severus could be found once again sitting in the armchair he had yet to transfigure back into a book, quietly reading a potions monthly magazine. A magazine that contains brewing instructions for a variety of different potions, new and old. The latest news of potions, either of the yearly potions conference or the next big potions master/mistress. The Hogwarts' professor smirked, knowing that he still holds the record of being the youngest potions master of the century.

Right now, he was reading the clear brewing instructions for the antidote to Mistletoe Berry poison, a known common toxic poison from the none berry parts, which, if eaten in small quantities isn't as serious and the person will most likely receive an upset stomach, whereas the potion, containing higher quantities of the none berry parts, will affect the unlucky drinker. Including; Vomiting, diarrhea, convulsing, shivers, fever, low pulse, visual disturbances, choking and eventually death.

‘Ingredients

6 diced mistletoe berries
2 drops of morning dew
1 powdered unicorn horn.....6 diced mistletoe ber......’
Well, trying to read.
Severus rolled his eyes, rebuking himself for losing concentration.....again.
Concentrate Severus, concentrate only on the list of ingredients for the potion you have yet to brew.
‘6 diced mistletoe berries.....
2 drops of morning dew
1 powdered unicorn horn
5 drops of blood (patient's blood type)
2 shredded aspho.....’

With sharp bat like hearing that the potions master is known to have by the students of Hogwarts, the professor heard the tell-tale signs of Potter waking up.

“Don't even think about leaving that bed Pott.....Mr Potter” Severus said from behind his magazine when he could hear the boy sitting up. He put closed his magazine, placing it down on the bedside table.

Leaning back comfortably in his chair, the potions master thought about what he was going to say. Of course, he had it planned out in his head, but as the hours ticked by and he was busy reading his magazine about different potions, well, the choice of words he had been planning to have with his ward just, slipped to the far back of his mind.

Noticing the boy squirming, Severus hardened his glare. Purposely taking his time to process his thoughts.
Good, let him squirm. It's not like I have anywhere to be right now.

"Mr Potter," Severus started in a silky tone, leaning forward in the chair. Reigning in his Snape temper as much as he could, he continued, still using his silky tone. "What might I ask, possessed you to use the glamour charm, under my roof, without my knowledge, when you very damn well know that you aren't supposed to use your wand?”

He had thought the boy would take ages with his response, maybe a cocky, arrogant reply about being the-boy-who-lived, but once again, it seemed he was mistaken about the young Gryffindor.

Glamours, sir?” A confused Potter asked, tilting his head slightly to the side.

Severus stared at the boy, assuming he was playing with him, but from the looks of it, he didn't see anything wrong in the boy's emerald eyes. No signs of a lie.

Hmm, maybe accidental magic? That was possible.

In a calmer tone, Severus spoke, “forgive me Mr Potter, but do you honestly not know what a glamour charm is?”

Potter shrugged, nodding his head in response to the professor’s question, “no sir, I....” the boy blushed a little red from embarrassment,

“that is fine, Mr Potter, as surprising as it may sound to you, but I believe you” Severus said in an even tone, finishing off of what Potter was saying. He decided to tell explain what the glamour charm was to the boy, when he was finished, he knew that Potter would at least have some idea of why his accidental magic kicked in, so he continued to push a little further until he got something out of the boy that he could work on and hopefully heal Lily's son. "The glamour charm, Mr Potter, is a spell that is taught at Hogwarts in seventh year, when the students can be trusted and more mature with not using the spell to hide certain things from us, their professors, the ones who are in still in charge of their welfare......I do believe, Mr Potter, that you had unintentionally used the glamour charm, without knowing that was it.....accidental magic. What I want to know is why your accidental magic kicked in and provided you with the charm? And I believe only you know the answer to that.”

The boy shrugged his shoulders again, drawing his knees up to his chest and wrapping his arms tightly around them, his chin resting atop of his knees.

“I.....I don't know, sir” he shook his head,

Holding in a sigh, Severus decided to push a little further, hoping the boy would give in and tell him at least one thing. He shot the boy another hard glare. Control, Severus, control. “You're lying to me Mr Potter, shall I remind you of the rules?” Severus silkily said

Potter shook his head, “no sir,”

“Then tell me the truth”

There was a long pause, and the potions master was just about to give up with finding out the cause of Potter's accidental magic releasing, using glamour charms to cover the boy's body from head to toe, making it look as if the boy's wounds and bruises had never been there, that was until earlier on today when the boy collapsed, resulting in the glamour charm to fall, shocking both Severus, Colleen, Poppy and even Lucy.

“Stayedupallnigh’to......tostopmyselfrom.....fromhavin'nightmares” mumbled Potter, a little too much for Severus's liking.

“what was that Mr Potter? You were mumbling. Repeat what you said, but this time, speak clearly!” Severus calmly said

Yes, it was true, to some extent that he had very good hearing and could almost understand and hear every word the students said, that many students believe him to have bat-like hearing. In some aspects that worked well for Severus, but other times, when children mumble, like how Potter just mumbled, then that was a problem because, he can barely make out one word.

A reluctant sigh drew Severus back to the conversation.
“I....I purposely stayed up all....all night, sir, to um, stop myself from having.....nightmares” the last word was said in almost a whisper, luckily or unluckily for Potter, Severus heard the words clearly.

Something clicked in Severus's brain, he pursed his lips. So that's why my alarms didn't go off. The foolish boy was staying up all night.....Severus's jaw clenched tight. Was the boy feigning sleep, then? Deciding he wanted to know this, Severus cut straight to the point.

"You were feigning sleep, weren't you?" He bluntly asked, giving the boy another hard glare. Potter hesitated before slowly nodding his head, looking much guiltier than before.

"Yes sir" mumbled Potter,

Severus held back from allowing his eyes roll. Merlin, the boy's more Slytherin than my snakelets. He smirked a little, wondering what Lily and James would think of their son for being able to out-Slytherin a Slytherin. Even I hadn't been able to pull off feigning sleep whenever my father came into my room, foul tempered, either after a fight with mother, or just arriving back from a Death Eater meeting. The smirk faded just as quickly as it had appeared, Severus only just realising why that was. Not even a teenage and the boy's been through so much. He thought, recalling everything the child has gone through so far in almost ten years since James and Lily died.

Turning back to the situation, Severus locked eyes with the nervous looking boy.

Good, he should be nervous.

"You do realise, Mr Potter that feigning sleep is just the same as lying to me, don't you?" Severus asked silkily
The boy shook his head, and Severus decided, that just this once, he would allow a none verbal response. "Good, then you won't be opposed to my punishment that I give you, when you are able to get out of bed, of course."

*****

Shocked, Harry looked at the potions master, as he listed what punishment he would be given when Madam Pomfrey finally deems him able to leave the bed. He dared not say anything, knowing by now that he would be in more trouble than he already was. But really, he reasoned with himself, what was I to do except for feigning sleep? I was certainly not going to go tell Snape that I had a nightmare about.....about......he shivered, closing his eyes and taking a deep calming breath before he lost complete control of himself.

"Do you understand, Mr Potter?"

Having heard all of what Snape had said, Harry slowly nodded. "Ye.....yes sir"

"Good.....what, might I ask, was or were your nightmare/nightmares about?" Snape bluntly asked,

The young Gryffindor shook his head, tightening his arms around his legs. He didn't want to talk about it. Not right now. "Don'twanttotalkaboutit" the boy mumbled into his knees.

Snape nodded, letting out a sigh. "That is fine. I will not pressure you talk about them, right now, if you do not want to, but we will in the near future, talk about them....."
There was a long pause, and Harry glanced up, about to ask if he can be alone right now. However, Snape started speaking again, before Harry could pluck up enough courage to ask.

"Now, as Madam Pomfrey has already spelled a few healing potions into you when you had collapsed from fatigue, I cannot offer you any dreamless sleep potion. But, if you would like Mr Potter, I can stay here until you fall asleep. Will that be acceptable?"

Thinking about what the potions master said, Harry shrugged, not at all sure what he wanted. No, he certainly didn't want Snape to stay in the room, the man would probably......no, Harry shook his head, not wanting to think about that thought. Getting his breathing under control, Harry shortly heard an unusual gentle version of Snape's voice in the distance of his mind as his breathing slowly evened out.

"….... you some time to think about it. Right now, I believe it is time for dinner."

From the bed, Harry watched as Snape flicked his wand and two trays of food arrived in the room, he frowned, wondering why Snape didn't just call Lucy, like he usually does. However, he didn't ask, not wanting to give Snape any reason to belittle him or mock him for being the-infamous-boy-who-lived.

"Eat.....you need to build up your strength if you want to be out of that bed before the end of this week." A gentle voice encouraged from his left.

Harry nodded in response, looking down at the tray that had appeared on his lap. He grimaced, already feeling sick just looking at it. A bowl of chicken and vegetable broth with a slice of buttered sodabread on a plate, along with a glass of milk. Wanting to refuse to eat and tell Snape that he wouldn't be able to eat it, Harry, ignoring that idea as well as the churning feeling in his mind as the smell of the broth assaulted his nose. He swallowed, deciding to follow Snape's order.

A few small spoonful's later, had Harry's stomach churning like a volcano ready to explode, he nervously glanced up at the professor who was half way finished with his own meal.....grilled salmon and brown rice with steamed vegetables, it looked a lot appeasing to Harry than his own food. He averted his eyes back to his dinner when Snape glanced across at him.

Deciding that he was thirsty, Harry picked up the glass of milk taking small sips. Shaking a little, the boy put glass of milk back down on the tray, least he accidentally spilled some on the duvet, beads of sweat dripped down his pale looking flushed face. A wave of nausea washed over Harry, who again glanced nervously at Snape.

Luckily for the boy, Severus picked up on the boy's look. He nodded his head at the boy. "That is fine Mr Potter. Just like last week, you do not have to eat as much until you eventually become used to stomaching more in you......." There was a long pause, "I am guessing the reason why you haven't been gaining any weight, is because you were constantly vomiting your food back up after each meal. Weren't you?"

Potter hesitated before nodding his head.

"Why?"

The boy shrugged his shoulders in response. Sighing, he responded, "…...nightmares"

Severus's facial expression changed to a thoughtful look, which quickly vanished into a stoic expression. "Do you.....do you want to talk about it?" The potions master paused, thinking of the many times when talking about nightmares would help. Of course, it depended on whether the person who is trying to heal from a traumatic experience trusted anyone or not. He glanced at the boy, trying to think of anyone who Potter trusted most, aside from Weasley and Granger. They were simply children. What Potter needs is an adult he can go to when he has problems that he nor his friends can solve. Like Minerva for example, as the boy's head of house, she would need to establish some sort of trust with all her lions.....he grimaced, remembering the fact that due to her being quite busy with both being a head of house and assistant headmistress, she had not been able to find out about the boy's home life situation and knowing that she probably is all the way in America, visiting her great-niece, until August, she probably still doesn't know about the boy's home life. "It will help" he added, knowing full well what the boy's answer will be.

He wasn't proved wrong. Not even a second after he had said those words, Potter shook his head at him, not wanting to talk about his nightmare or nightmares, leaving Severus stumped. He sighed, taking out his wand to banish both trays away.

Not sure what to do now, eventually the man took out his wand, with a flick of his wrist a granite wizards chessboard appeared, floating in between both Severus and his ward. Glancing over at Potter's shocked expression, Severus allowed a little smirk to form on his lips.

"Black or white?" Was all he asked, indicating with his head at the chessboard. Potter, took less than a few moments to decide what colour he wanted to play as.

"um....I'm not very good at chess, sir" Potter responded, sounding unsure.

Severus shrugged his shoulders, he smirked again. "Consider it your lucky day.....or evening, Mr Potter, you're playing against the head of Slytherin. I can teach you some Slytherin moves."

There was a long pause, the potions master watched the boy's facial expression changing to a few different emotions.
"Black, sir?" The boy finally responded, still sounding a little unsure with a hint of nervousness laced in his voice.

Severus just nodded his head, "that is fine Mr Potter......" he told the boy in a gentle tone, in an attempt to get the boy to relax a little, s little disappointed that he couldn't be black, but at the same time he was surprised as he had thought the boy would have wanted to play as white......many people who aren't that good at chess, in his experience, tend to choose white, thinking they have the fair advantage if they start first. "Pawn to E3" he commanded in a confident tone, smirking a little, he had many tricks up his sleeve when it came to chess, but this was his favourite, as it was quick, but hard for the beginners.

The white pawn obediently moved from his current square, up to two squares across the granite surface, stopping when it reached E3. Thus, starting the game.

"Knight to C6" Potter ordered the black knight, after some time thinking about his next move, the knight nodded, moving diagonally from his previous space on the board (B8) to the ordered square.

The two wizards played chess for over half an hour with both Harry's chess pieces and Snape, giving him advice on certain moves, asking him if he was sure if the move he had initially wanted a chess piece to go was alright, when he didn't understand the advice the chess pieces gave to him, Snape would give him some friendly advice. Another thing that would happen, while they were playing, Snape would calmly ask Harry some questions, while the boy was thinking of his next moves or where to command his pieces, getting small surprising bits of information from the boy. Like for instant, Snape now knew that Harry would have been in Slytherin if it wasn't for Draco Malfoy, Hagrid or Ron, he also found out that the Dursleys had never treated Harry well at all since Dumbledore had first left him there as a baby.

Harry subconsciously mentioned to Snape that his cousin, Dudley had been very spoiled growing up, getting everything, he wanted. The young lion said stuff about aunt Marge, Vernon Dursley's older sister, who always has many bad words to say about the lion's parents, when she knew damn well that he, Harry was listening in to the conversation. The tree incident of Harry hiding up in a tree like a cat, from Marge's dog, Ripper, for many hours until one of the neighbours had enough, yelling at them to shut he dog up.
Some information that Snape was trying to worm out of Harry while he was busy thinking of his next move, was stuff to do with the past two events that had happened at Hogwarts since Harry's first year, but Harry, though distracted, didn't tell Snape anything, keeping his mouth closed. Mentally refusing to tell Snape who the culprit was that had stolen potions ingredients from the man's cupboard. There was no way he would rat out Hermione like that. I'm not Dudley. Harry thought, stubbornly keeping his mouth shut when Snape pushed, having to fight back on letting a smile form on his lips, when Snape sighed and gave up on trying to find out the miscreant-who-stole-from-him.

The same couldn't be said for when Snape asked who had purposely chucked a filibuster firework in Goyle's cauldron last school year, Harry had guiltily averted his eyes down to the floor, biting his bottom lip nervously, waiting for the yelling to start, waiting for the snarky git to yell at him to send him packing back to the Dursleys. Instead, Snape, just glared at him, giving him a mild, but serious lecture for a good five minutes or so, telling about how dangerous and reckless it was to do that and that many of the students could've been seriously hurt, making Harry feel even more guiltier about his actions. Harry glanced back up at Snape, picking up enough courage to do so, flinching at the glare sent his way, eventually, Snape softened his glare, telling him in a gentle tone, to carry on playing. Harry did, of course, after nervously apologising to the man, knowing how foolish of an idea it was to purposely exploding a cauldron with many people in the room, even if it had been quite funny at first, seeing the Slytherins faces swell up like balloons.

"Pawn to F6" Harry said, without thinking, the black pawn stayed where it was, and the many chess pieces that Harry had left, were giving him confusing advice, telling him not to send the pawn to that square. Snape as well asked Harry if that was a wise move, and Harry shrugged, a little unsure and confused. It was just a move, wasn't it?

He glanced up at the potions master who was fighting hard not to smirk, confused, Harry looked down at the chess board, trying to see why both Snape and his chess pieces thought it was such a bad move, trying to decipher what would happen if he went through with his move. He couldn't see the problem that everyone else could see, and so he shrugged, in response.
"um, yes sir" he nodded, befe he again commanded his pawn to move to F6.

The pawn, dejectedly sighed, as if he was walking to his death, he obediently moved up one space, stopping on F6.
Snape, commanded his own chess piece, his white bishop, from the square (C4) diagonally across the granite surface up to F7. Harry felt foolish at that point, now seeing why he should have listened to the potions master and his pieces. He scowled across at Snape when the man claimed checkmate. Sneaky Slytherin.

"I thought you were meant to be teaching me, not winning,” was all he asked without thinking, remembering to add, "sir?” at the end.

The potions master smirked, "I said that I would help you, wish I was doing, but I never said that I would let you win"
Frowning, Harry nodded, timidly asking the professor if they could play again. This time asking if he could be play as white. Snape nodded, after whipping out his wand to check the time, saying that they can only play for half an hour only, then it would be time to call it a day. Reluctantly, Harry nodded, though he did tell Snape that he wasn't at all tired, reminding the man that he had been sleeping for a few hours.

"You weren't sleeping Mr Potter, you were unconscious for a few hours, due to the lack of sleep and energy levels you had......if you were a muggle, you would have been either dead or in a coma.....again" the professor said seriously, "besides, while you were out of it, Madam Pomfrey and myself, decided that it is best if you have a bed time until you fully recover, emotionally."

Harry wanted to protest, but Snape stopped him, putting up a hand.

"No! I will not have you arguing with me Mr Potter, not now that I know you are currently going through P.T.S.G,” at the boy's confused look at this, Severus had to remind himself that Potter was raised by muggles....well, beasts, and that he is still learning about the wizarding world. “P.T.S.G, Mr Potter is a wizarding form of the muggle condition, P.T.S.D, which wizards and witches can and will have both, after being in a traumatic experience. P.T.S.G, stands for Post traumatic stress glamours, where the wizard or witch will unintentionally apply glamours on themselves through their accidental magic when they are trying to hide marks on their body that they don't want anyone to see, for all sorts of reasons. You, Mr Potter did just that, without even knowing it, which means I had no idea that you weren't stomaching your food fully or sleeping as I should have known. Nor were your wounds healing, which has set us back a little with your healing process.....something we shall remedy together Mr Potter”

Potter's mouth formed in an O shape after being told what P.T.S.G was about and that he could very well have that condition.

"Do you understand? Good. Now, did you want to play again or did you want to continue arguing with me, on not being tired and not needing a bedtime since you aren't a child anymore?"
Slowly, Harry nodded his head, knowing that it would be foolish to argue with the potions master. He didn't know how long he would have to be at Snape manor for, but he was sure, one wrong move and the man would be tired of him, and send him back to the Dursleys where they would go back to locking him up in his cupboard under the stairs. He shivered, not wanting to be back in that cupboard ever again.

"Yes sir" he quietly said,

"Yes what? Yes, you want to play another game of chess, or yes you want to continue arguing?"

Swallowing thickly Harry nodded, "Yes, I.....I want to um, play another game of chess.....if it is alright, sir?"
Snape inclined his head at Harry, telling him that he may start the game whenever he's ready.

Harry started the game, commanding a white pawn to move forward to squares to E4. Barely twenty minutes into the game, Harry started nodding off, his head hitting the pillow and his breathing evening out into calming breathes.
Severus smirked at this, knowing that his plan worked.
Taking out his wand, Severus flicked it, banishing the Chess board back into the library. He hesitated a moment before deciding on tucking the boy under the covers. Telling himself that it wasn't so he would have to deal with a sick child. An injured one was enough. He then settled himself back down in the armchair, picking up his potions magazine and continued to read the rest of the antidote for mistletoe poisoning, deciding that he wanted to make sure the boy was actually asleep and not feigning.....again.

Confident that his ward was fully asleep and was not going to wake up once he left, Severus stood up, flicking his wand at the occupied bed, putting up an alarm that would wale him if the boy was either up for no reason or having a nightmare, of course, though the alarm wouldn't go off if the boy got up to use the toilet, but if he wasn't back in bed when he should be in bed, then that would also set off the alarm. The spell was first invented many years ago by a witch called, Ophelia Slytherin, the grand-daughter of Salazar, who took over from him as the head of Slytherin. She had invented the spell knowing she couldn't speak parseltongue like her father and grandfather before her, who had used their gift to speak to Salazar's familiar as a way to keep track of the students, Ophelia invented the spell for that purpose so she would know when her students weren't in bed like should have been. Today, the spell is mostly used by Severus for the very same purpose, which has worked like a charm, never letting him down. Like for instance, during Potter's first year at Hogwarts, Severus had caught young Malfoy out of bed more than once, giving him a weeks worth of detention every time. Now the brat doesn't dare sneak out after curfew as he doesn't want to end up scrubbing the bathrooms by Gryffindor, the messiest bathrooms at Hogwarts, with a toothbrush.

A yawn escaped the potions master’s mouth, once he double checked the alarm spell would work, and that Potter was actually asleep, Severus decided that he might as well get an early night himself. Noxing the bedroom light as he walked out, closing the door quietly shut behind him.

*****

Severus startled awake in the middle of the night, hearing his alarms go off. Grabbing his wand, the potions master climbed out of bed, slipping his black slippers on his feet and spelling his navy blue nightrobes on. He hurried out of his room and across the hall, his wand held firmly in his grasp, pointing forward, as he entered the only occupied guest room, not at all sure what he would find in the room, but he expected a Death Eater or two to have found out where the boy was.

Pushing open the bedroom door, Severus thoroughly scanned the room for any potential threat. There was nothing. A small groan coming from the bed took Severus's attention. He frowned in thought, moving closer the boy who appears to be struggling.

“Potter?” Severus called in a hushed tone, checking if the boy was awake.....

“No, please no....” the boy screamed, startling the usually stoic professor. His arms were raised as if fighting an invisible attacker.

Wondering whether or not to let it play out, Severus stood there unsure of wha.....

“No, don't! Pl.....please uncle, I'll.....I'll be good”

“Potter,” mind made up, Severus rushed over to the bedside, coming to the decision on waking the boy instead. He didn't know what Potter was dreaming about, but he had a pretty good idea of what was happening in the boy's dream. “Potter, wake up. It's professor Snape, you're dreaming. You're.....”
“Uncle please, I.....I’ll be a good boy” the boy pleaded in what sounded like a fearful, hopeless sound, one Severus was very familiar with himself, having used that tone many times with his father as well as the Dark Lord.

Gently shaking the dreaming boy and ignoring the flinch and the begging that followed afterwards. Severus continued on using his soft silky tone, one he only saves for times like these.

“Potter wake up, you're at Snape manor, you're dreaming......”

The boy went still under his hand, and Severus stood there, a little unsure of what to do now.

“Pot.....Harry,” he decided to try a different approach, “it's professor Snape, you're dreaming, you're at.....”

A quiet voice interrupted him. “Professor?”

Severus nodded, standing up straight and removing his hand from the boy when he was sure the boy was calm enough to do so. Waving his wand, he lit up the room with a soft glow. Potter's facial expressions relaxed a little, but still held traces of fear.

“Did you want to talk about it?” Severus asked, knowing that he needed to get the boy to do so, knowing very well that talking about it helped a lot.

It also helps if you have a trusted adult you can go to, for Severus it was his mother, then it was his uncle, for the students it was Severus as the other heads of houses had no clue with how to deal with abused children. Pomona, just bear hugged them, while Flitwick rambled on and on about how it will get better and not too worry. He held back from rolling his eyes, knowing that Potter would get the wrong idea. Speaking of Potter, Severus focused his full attention onto the boy, knowing it will do no good if he missed anything the boy says, just for being caught up in his thoughts.

Potter shook his head, “n.....no sir”
Severus sighed, wanting to push the boy into talking about his nightmare.

“Was it.....was it the same one as last time? When I.....when I came in here after Lucy came to get me and.....I found you being sick?” he decided to ask, at least he would have some idea of why the boy stayed up late, feigning sleep in front of his professor.

The boy hesitated, before giving a small nod, “yes sir”

Severus nodded, there was a long pause, “do you think you'll be able to go back to sleep, again?” Severus decided to ask in a gentle tone,

Potter slightly shook his head, shivering a little as he pulled his knees up to his chest and wrapped his arms tightly around his legs. Severus watched, thinking of something that would ease the boy enough for him to go back to sleep. A thought hit him as he caught sight of the boy's photo album, that was currently lying on the bedside table, the one on the left side of the bed, the very same photo album Severus knew Hagrid had given to the boy at the end of Potter's first year at Hogwarts. Where do you think Hagrid got most of the photos from?

"How about I tell you some stories about your mother?" He finally suggested, knowing he couldn't put it off any longer, besides, he was sure it would do the trick and send the boy back into the pleasant world of dreams.

There was a long pause, Potter averted his eyes to look at his photo album before looking back at Snape with what appears to be a hopeful expression on his face. Potter nodded shortly afterwards, "please,"

Severus just about heard the boy say in a longing tone. Merlin, it's as if he's never heard any stories about his parents! He held back a snort, reminding himself of just what sort of environment he had rescued the boy from this summer. Severus nodded, thinking of what to tell the boy about Lily.

Closing his eyes, the potions master bought up every happy memory with Lily in to the forefront of his mind, he felt himself smile a little, thinking of the first time he had first met Lily, but decided that, that story was one for another time. He smiled harder, remembering a different memory of Lily, one he knew would do just the trick.
Taking a deep, calming breathe in, Severus looked at his ward, beginning his story.

“It was the summer before our fifth year, July to be exact.....Lily, your mother, was born and raised in A medium size town called Cokeworth Derbyshire. Each year in July, they have a carnival, known as Cokeworth carnival......"

“Carnival sir? Like the one they have every year in Little Whinging?” Potter confusedly asked, not yet realising he had interrupted his snarky potions master.

Usually Severus hated it whenever children interrupted his speech, but tonight with his temporary ward, he decided as it wasn't too important, then he would let it slide for now and instead, he nodded in response to the Potter child.

“Having never visited the one in Little, Whinging, was it?, I wouldn't really know....but it is probably similar. Why, have you ever been to the carnival in Little Whinging?” Severus asked, the boy hesitated for a moment before shaking his head.

“no sir, aunt.....aunt Petunia, said that ‘carnivals aren't meant for freaks!’” Potter automatically said, as if it has been ingrained in him. “But I.....I'd like to go to one sir, I mean, after hearing how fun they are from Dudley, my cousin.....”

The boy paused, flinching shortly, realising just now that he had interrupted the professor. “I'm sorry sir,” he quickly apologised, seeing a frown upon the man's face.

The apology was lost on the potions master who was currently stuck in his own thoughts.

Freaks! Hearing that word made Severus' blood boil, though he didn't know Petunia very well, he remembered the first time he saw Lily on the train back in their first year, she had been sitting in a cart with another first year student, who had been comforting her, tears had trickled down her bright red cheeks and eleven year old Severus had asked why she was upset, thinking it was because she was already missing her family, which Severus could relate to as he had been worrying already over his mother. When Lily had told him what her sister had called her on the platform, she broke down again, leaving Severus and their new best friend to comfort her. Still frowning, Severus gritted his teeth.

How dare that bitch call Lily's son a freak!
Before continuing on with his story, Severus paused, looking at his ward with a thoughtful look. Sure he did not know the horse faced woman well, but he had a sinking feeling telling him to ask the boy. He needed to know whether the child, Lily's son thinks of himself as that despicable name. Gathering his words, Severus hesitated, he knew without a doubt that the child didn't have anyone in the last eleven, nearly twelve years to tell him that he wasn't a freak, whereas Lily had her parents who would punish Petunia for every foul word she spouted, and Severus, well, he had his mother to tell him the opposite of what he would always be told by his father.

“Mr Potter, answer me seriously.....there is no right or wrong answer,” the potions master paused, “I just need to know whether you think of yourself as that foul word your aunt called you?”

There was a moment of hesitation from the boy, and Snape thought for one moment that the boy's answer will be that he does think of himself in that way, however, when Potter did finally answer, Severus still had that sinking feeling in his chest.

“No sir,” Potter shook his head, his voice a little quiet, but not too quiet that Severus had to strain his ears to listen.

Not really believing the boy's answer, Severus pushed a little more. Hopeful that Potter would give him a more decent response. He narrowed his onyx eyes,“Are you sure Mr Potter?” Severus asked, his tone silkily
Another bit of hesitation until Potter responded with a nod of his head.

“Yes sir, I......I don't think of myself as that word anymore.”

Knowing the boy wasn't being all that truthful with him, the potions master glanced at through the window and outside, sure it was dark still, but in less than several hours, the sun will be up, so Severus reasoned with himself that he can just continue with this conversation later on, when it wasn't way past midnight.

He turned his eyes back to the boy, giving a small nod to let Potter know that he was.....’satisfied' with the answer. Sighing, he made himself comfortable again, before finally continuing on with his story, hoping the boy would nod off shortly.

“Lily, having been to the carnival plenty of times before with her family, decided to invite some of her friends from Hogwarts alone, that included; myself, Ja.....(Severus cleared his throat).....Potter, your father's friend, Lupin and a few others I cannot name right now for......for personal reasons.

Neither of us, except Lily, have never been to a carnival before and we were instantly amazed at the sight, thinking the whole thing was run by magic. Lily, seeing our stunned faces, explained to us that it wasn't magic, but elect.....electricity.

Surrounding the park, there were many muggle contraptions, including; dodgems, waltzers, merry-go-round, ferris wheel and many others that I cannot remember, there were different food stalls selling muggle food I had never heard of or tried before.....I think it was something called cotton......sweet?”

“Candy, sir.....it's cotton candy” Harry corrected, holding back a snort.

Snape inclined his head, continuing on with his story and Harry sat listening to the professor talking, describing the carnival into more detail. He listened as Snape describe the smell of muggle carnival food, from, pizza to caramel apples. The professor described some of the rides they had gone on and the taste of his first time having pizza.
As he listened, Harry felt himself relax, his eyelids begin to slowly close, his muscles unable to move and his breathing continuing to follow the already gentle pattern. Soon enough the young Lion cub was unable to convince himself to stay awake, falling asleep to the professor's soothing, warm, tone.

Unknown to the sleeping Gryffindor, Snape had also grown tired that he fell asleep in the fortunately comfortable armchair.

Lucy, quietly popped in, first tucking the young master under the duvet, then she clicked her fingers and in an instant later, a warm, thick wooly blanket appeared across the portions master's lap and Lucy tucked the sleeping master in, making sure he wouldn't freeze. Satisfied with her work, the elf quietly popped out of the room after whispering a goodnight to both of her dreaming masters.
To be continued...
Chapter 8 One Step Forward by RavenMooney
Early morning sunlight poured through the bedroom windows and into the room, causing the raven haired boy to wake.

The young Gryffindor yawned as he tiredly glanced around the blurry room. He frowned at seeing a blurry black figure in the blurry armchair. He guessed it was Snape, fast asleep judging by the sound of things.

Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, he fumbled around for his glasses. Slipping them on to the bridge of his nose once he found them. Feeling better now that he could see clearer. He looked back at the sleeping form of the potions master, frowning when he noticed the man’s legs covered with a blanket.

A strange, warm feeling entered his chest as memories of his aunt and sometimes his uncle staying with his cousin whenever he was ill or when he had a nightmare. For him, Harry, this was the first time, probably since his parents were killed, that someone, an adult stayed the night with him due to a nightmare. The strange thing was....it was Snape who had stayed with him.

Maybe Snape's not as bad as I thought?

Harry felt a little uncomfortable, deciding to ignore the feeling for now, he made to reach for the book that he was currently reading at the moment. Narnia: The, Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, written by a wizard. C.S. Lewis. He was quite familiar with the story since his year 4 teacher, Mr Wilson had started reading the book to the class when they were studying both world war one and two. Unfortunately, Dudley, his cousin had been in his class and when he told aunt Petunia what they were reading, she had phoned the school straight away, complaining that she didn't want her 'Dudders' anywhere in the classroom if they were reading that book.

After finding the book in Snape's library a few days ago, Harry didn't hesitate to start reading it and so far, he was enjoying the book.

Focusing on the current page he was on....or trying to, Harry felt much more uncomfortable than earlier on. He tried to continue reading, and as time slowly ticked by, Harry couldn't concentrate. What made it worse, was, that he had started wriggling about in his spot on the bed where he was sitting.

Making up his mind, Harry closed the book and put it down. He slid closer towards the edge of the bed and just as he was about to climb out of bed, he stopped, remembering that he wasn't allowed to leave the bed, until Pomfrey deemed it safe. He glanced over at Snape, who was still sleeping.....at least, he hoped the professor was.

Sliding back into the centre of the bed, Harry stayed sitting there, wriggling about as he tried not to think about needing to use the loo.

Eventually, after what felt like forever, Lucy popped in, waking the potions master up. Harry, who had been trying to continue reading to get his mind off of things, looked up as Lucy arrived into the room with two trays of breakfast. One for Snape and one for Harry himself.

"How did young master and master Severus sirs sleep?" Lucy asked, carrying both trays over to the designated wizards.

Severus nodded his head, yawning, he replied to the elf. "Fine, thank you for asking Lucy. Although, you could have.....(another yawn)…..you could have woken me up"

Lucy shook her head.

"I's....I's couldn't wake yous up master Severus sir, you's looked so peaceful sleeping ther....."

At the time, Severus had been taking a sip of the green tea Lucy had handed to him, spat it out in shock. "Lucy!" Severus started, a little embarrassed that the elf was discussing that he looked so peaceful sleeping, right where his student could hear. He fixed the elf with a warning glare, reminding her, "that.... Lucy, is not something you should so.... openly say in front of any students of mine"

If house elves could blush, Severus was pretty sure that's what Lucy's cheeks would be doing right now. Instead, the little creature nodded her head.

"Oh, yes master Severus sir, Lucy is sorry, Lucy won't do it again.....Lucy will....Lucy will go and iron her hands, Lucy will....."

"Not go and iron her hands!" Severus interrupted, startling both his ward and his house elf. "How many times do I have to tell you Lucy, you are not to go and punish yourself for every mistake you make" he told her, firmly. The look he gave her, the little elf knew what it meant right away. She nodded, promising she would refrain from punishing herself unless he, her master told her to. She then popped out.

About to eat his breakfast, Severus glanced over at his ward to check that the boy was indeed eating. However, he ended up frowning in confusion when he noticed the boy wriggling on his spot on the bed.

"Mr Potter, unless you have.....what is that muggle expression again? Ah, ants in your pants, then I suggest you stop moving about like that,”

Potter shook his head.

“I....I ca-can't help it s-sir” the boy responded through clenched teeth, looking as if he was in pain.

“And why not? I am certain all you need to do is stop moving”

Potter shook his head again.

“I....I ca-can't. I needtousetheloo”

“What was that Mr Potter? I didn't get all of what you said. Speak clearly!”

Potter let out a small sigh. “I....I need to use the loo”

Hearing this, Severus's eyes went wide when he caught on.

“How long?”

“S-sir?”

“How long have you been needing to use the loo Mr Potter?” Severus clarified

Shrugging his shoulders, Potter responded, “S-since I....uh, woke up sir,” the boy's voice trailed off.

Severus rolled his eyes. “And how long ago was that?”

Potter shrugged again. “I....I don't know. Maybe five, ten minutes ago.”

*****

With his back against the wall, his arms folded against his chest and his wand in his robe pocket, Severus stood there in the quiet, lit hallway, standing next to the bathroom door.

The sound of running water told him that the Potter boy wasn't finished yet.

Taking out his wand, Severus casted a tempus charm. He let out a long sigh when he saw the time.

7:15am

Potter's been in there for half an hour.

Pocketing his wand, Severus knocked on the door for the third time in the space of thirty minutes, since the boy had a.....little accident, on their way to the bathroom.

“Mr Potter, you've been in there for half an hour. What is taking you so long?”

Severus knew without a doubt that if he wanted to, he could easily enter the bathroom right now without the help of magic, demand the boy to finish showering and get dressed, but having promised Potter that he would stay out here in the hallway as long as the door was unlocked, then he wouldn't enter the bathroom unless either the boy himself, wanted him to, or if it was an emergency where the boy would require immediate assistance.

At first, after Potter's accident, Severus had suggested the boy take a bath, where he, Severus, had planned on washing the boy himself. After hearing Poppy tell him that he was not to leave the boy alone for a long period of time, especially in the bathroom, Severus didn't want to disappoint the medi-witch, again. But,, as soon as the word, bath, came out of Severus's mouth, the boy stiffened at the word.

Having filed that away for later, Severus, not wanting to scare the boy into a panic attack, suggested the child have a short shower, as long as the door remained unlocked at that he talked to him the whole time he's showering. In that way, Severus would know whether the boy was fine or not.

So far, for the past thirty minutes, the boy has been responding well.

“I.....uh, I'm nearly finished, um, sir” came Potter's response from the other side of the bathroom.

Tempted to tell the boy that he's said that....twice already, Severus decided against, telling himself that maybe the boy wasn't yet done.

He rolled his eyes at that. Knowing damn well that the boy was indeed done.

It certainly doesn't take that long to shower, Severus usually took five minutes and that involved both washing his body and hair.

He was ready to knock on the bathroom door again, when he heard the running shower water finally stop. He waited, a few moments, just in case, and though he didn't show it, he was....relieved when the boy came out, wrapped in a towel.

Though the child was obviously limping, Severus could see nothing else wrong with the boy. As he made his way over to the boy, prepared to guide Potter back to the guestroom where the child could change into some clean clothes, Severus spoke up, reminding the boy of his presence and that he was still there.

“Finally Mr Potter.....any longer, I would have assumed you were trying to win the world record of the longest shower” Severus said, startling the boy, who turned to look up at him with fear, nearly falling off balance in the process.

If it wasn't for Severus's quick reflexes, then Potter would have fallen to the floor, possibly cracking his head.

“My apologies Mr Potter, I didn't mean to scare you, I had merely meant to let you know that I was still here”

“S-sir? You're....uh, still here. I, thought.....I thought you wou....”

Thee potions master snorted at this. “Why wouldn’t I still be here Mr Potter? Didn't I say that I wou.....Potter! What is that mark on your arms?”

The boy blanched.

Harry silently cursed. Bloody hell!

Why on earth did I forget my clothes in the bathroom?

“Wha....what marks?” Harry innocently asked, looking at his arms.

He flinched when he felt someone raise his chin to look up at the glaring professor. The hand that had raised his chin so he could look at the professor, left.

“What did I say about lying to me Mr Potter?”

“I'm not....”

“Quiet!”

“But,”

“The truth Mr Potter! What are those marks on your arms?”

Gulping, Harry bit his lip. Thinking of what to tell Snape. His shoulders drooped as he averted his gaze away from the man.

“Pott....Mr Potter, you will do me the courtesy of looking at me if.....”

“I just don't want to talk about it, sir” Harry defiantly said, averting his gaze back up at the still glaring potions master.

There was a long silence that followed, with Snape continuing to glare down at his ward, his arms folded once more, against his chest, while Harry stood there, looking up at the man with a defiant look on his face, glaring up at Snape, daring the professor to try getting him to talk.

He wouldn't, but the man could try.

Feeling like hours had past but only a few seconds, Harry was the first one to break, realising how he had said the words to the professor, Harry blanched, the glare and defiant look gone, and the look of fear came back.

Snape, shortly realised as well, the glare went and was replaced by a neutral facial expression, but Harry didn't notice.

Sighing, Snape started, breaking the silence. “Pott....”

The boy flinched back, raising an arm to protect his face.

“I'm sorry” was all he said

Shaking his head, Snape, in a calm tone, told Harry that there is no need to be sorry.

“I....if you are not ready to talk to me about your problems, I shouldn't be trying to get you to,”

Harry slowly lowered his arm. “S-sir?”

Snape’s lips thinned.

Harry watched as the professor glanced down at him.

“Come, though it is summer, it can still get a little chilly in the manor and I being your guardian, do not want you to freeze to death out here.”

Harry nodded, glad that the professor was letting it go and though he didn't know how long he had until Snape decided to ask him about the marks on his body again, Harry hoped it wouldn't be soon. He didn't want to start thinking about where he would have to go next after having to come clean to Snape. He was certain that he wouldn't be welcomed at Hogwarts and he was certain neither Ron nor Hermione would want anything to do with him once it is known what he truly is.

“Y-yes sir,”

The rest of Friday was quiet, with Severus spending most of the day down in his lab to brew batches of potions for the Hogwarts Hospital wing, while the boy continued reading.

Breakfast, and lunch had both been quiet. Severus tried to engage the Potter boy into a conversation, instead, the boy had flat out ignored him, doing his best to pretend he wasn't there.

During lunch, Severus noticed the child barely touching his food, and seeing as the boy had hardly ate anything earlier on at breakfast, Severus, not wanting a repeat of Thursday, used an old spell he had seen busy parents using on their babies, many times before, a spell that was invented to spoon feed mainly babies when the parents are too busy to do it themselves. Spelling the spoon sitting atop of Potter's tray, Severus shortly earned a glare from the boy.

"Eat, unless you want a repeat of yesterday" was all Severus said in a serious tone, before going back to his own meal.

Dinner was just as silent as the previous two meals, and afterwards when it was time for the boy to get ready for bed, Severus supplied the aloe vera potion once more. Allowing the boy to rub the potions into the wounds on his stomach, legs and arms. Severus offered to rub the healing potion into the wounds that were on the boy's back. Potter shrugged, but nevertheless, allowed Severus to do so.

While Severus was rubbing the potion paste into the wounds, he noticed the boy flinching.

"I am nearly finished Mr Potter," Severus gently told the boy, noticing Potter's body still remaining stiff.

Since it was too soon to allow the boy any dreamless sleep as it would without a doubt mix with the potions that Poppy had spelled into the boy the day before, Severus was indeed right to expect the child to have another nightmare.

Like before, Severus had fallen asleep for the second time in a row in the armchair, while continuing his story about Lily and the carnival she had bought them all to.

*****

Saturday morning, breakfast, was just as quiet. Severus offered to teach the boy some more chess moves but Potter shrugged, and continued to read.

It wasn't until after lunch, when, Severus, having joined his ward once again upstairs, to keep the boy company while eating, decided, after realising he was going to have to sit through another quiet meal, that enough was enough. There was no way he was going to be able to help the boy if he didn't know what was wrong or if he couldn't get the boy to open up to him.

"Alright Mr Potter, enough of this. What is troubling you?" Severus finally asked,

Confused, Harry looked up at the professor.

"S-sir?"

"Something is clearly bothering you, and I want.....I would like to know"

Harry shook his head at this.

"Nothing's wrong,"

Snape raised an eyebrow.

"Really?"

Harry nodded his head. "Yes sir, I'm....I'm fine, honest"

"Then kindly do me the favour of looking up at me and say that you are fine"

Harry blanched. He opened his mouth, the closed it. No words left. Sighing, his shoulders dropped in defeat. Biting his bottom lip nervously, Harry glanced up at the professor, starting to feel sick to his stomach. I am so stupid! So, so stupid!

"Al-al-alright, I.....I," Harry paused, wondering if he had a death wish or something. Of, course he did. No one else had faced Voldemort twice and lived to tell the tale, three times if you count when he was a baby.

"Take your time Mr Potter," Snape said encouragingly from the armchair.

Harry nervously nodded, wondering if Voldemort could just come and make his appearance now, perhaps, this time, win and end his life. There's nothing left for me anyway. Hagrid can just take care of Hedwig for me and Ron....Ron can have my cloak and broom, while Hermione....she can have whatever she wants of mine to keep.

Swallowing thickly, Harry, sat on top of his hands to try to stop them from shaking. It didn't work. Deciding that it was now or never, he looked down at the duvet. Taking a deep breath in, Harry started telling Snape what was wrong and just as soon as he finished, he flinched back, glancing back across at Snape who just sat there in the armchair, stunned into silence.

Confused, Harry watched the Slytherin's mouth open and close, but no words coming out. He frowned.

Where was Snape telling him to get out and never come back? Where was Snape throwing him out of his manor, without giving him any time to pack his things? Where was the angry Snape telling him that he's an attention seeking freak and calling him a liar?

All of these questions and more, filled Harry's mind right now as the professor continued to sit there, unmoving, looking almost as if he was frozen solid.

"Pott...." Snape started, Harry flinched, preparing himself to be thrown out of the manor, prepared to be taken back to Surrey straight away, prepared to be yelled at, prepared to be hit. Either one, Harry would take it.

It's not like I wouldn't deserve it.

The potions master cleared his throat, "Mr Pott....Harry," This got Harry to look warily up at Snape, confused. Snape shouldn't be calling him that. "Is that....is that what you think of yourself?"

"S-sir?"

"Do you really think you're a.... a 'disgusting freak'?"

Harry blanched. No, no, no! Snape wasn't meant to know that.

"Pott...."

Harry flinched back.

"Mr Pott...." Harry heard Snape sigh. He flinched again when he noticed a larger hand coming towards him. The Gryffindor boy, watched as the large, spider-like hand, rest on the mattress, "I wasn't going to hit you, Mr Pott....Harry." There was a moment of silence until Snape continued, "do you really think you're a 'disgusting freak' Mr....Harry?" Snape asked again,

Knowing that Snape could not know about that, Harry shook his head. Seeing the Snape raise an eyebrow in disbelief, Harry quickly responded,

"I....I mean I um, used to think of myself like that sir, but I....I don't anymore though....." Harry trailed off, realizing how unbelievable his voice sounded, averting his eyes back down to the duvet cover, he knew what was to follow.

Sitting in the armchair, Severus sat there a little annoyed with himself that he still didn't have the boy's complete trust enough for the child to open up to him about what had gone on at Privet Drive that night. Merlin, he really wished he could kill the boy's relatives right now, but he wouldn't do that, knowing very well that would go the completely wrong way.

He sighed, glancing across at the boy who just sat there, in bed, playing with a loose thread on the duvet. "Did you want to play a game of chess?" Severus asked, the boy shook his head. "Are you sure? I....I can teach you some more moves"

Potter shook his head again.

With another sigh, Severus asked his ward if he had anything in mind that he might like to do. The child just shrugged, then said that he would just like to continue reading and Severus took this as a sign that he was not wanted right now.

"Alright, well.... I shall be downstairs brewing some more potions Mr Potter. If you need anything....at all, do not be afraid to call for me, or call for Lucy"

Potter nodded his head, but didn't respond.

Taking this as his cue to leave, Severus left the room, and went back down to his lab to do some brewing.

Later that night, the boy had another nightmare, waking Severus. Yawning, Severus climbed out of his bed and made his way to Potter's......to the guestroom. Eventually he woke the boy up, tried his best attempt to comfort the boy, tried his best to get the boy to open up about his nightmare, but did no good whatsoever and just ended up offering to tell another story about Lily.

Sunday, Potter again, still didn't want to do anything apart from reading. Severus was starting to feel lost at what he should do, and wondering whether he had made the right decision.

Perhaps, the Weasleys or even the wolf, would have done a much better job at this than I. He thought, while writing out the curriculum for fourth years for next September. He startled, accidentally knocking over his steaming mug of.... coffee, a drink he doesn't usually drink, but recently, he decided to give it a try.

"Bloody hell!" Severus swore, standing up out of his desk chair, taking his wand out, he pointed it at the spilled drink, that was messing up his work. He hesitated, before calling for Lucy as he put his wand back in his pocket. There was no spell in the world that could undo the damage made. He knew that he would have to re-write all seven class curriculums, again.

"Severus, you fool" Severus berated himself, muttering under his breath, unknowingly repeating the words he had heard the small voice say in his head, just moments before. A voice he had thought that sounded a lot like Lily.

I must be losing my mind.

*****

Monday morning didn't start out too well either, like the previous days, Potter was quieter than usual, he rarely responded much to Severus, who still tried to engage him into a conversation during breakfast.

Lunch and dinner were just the same.

In the evening, after Potter had fallen asleep, and Severus, after a long evening of rewriting the first-year class curriculum, he was ready to go to bed himself, but just as he was about to crawl into his awaiting bed, his alarms went off. Severus sighed, backing away from the bed, hesitating at first, the potions master grabbed his wand from his bed side table, with a flick, he lighted up the area in front of him, making it easier for him to see where he was going as he headed out of his room and across the hallway, towards Pott......the guestroom.

Tuesday, in Severus's opinion was much different. Having assigned his ward, the first part of his punishment. 200 lines of 'I will not lie to my guardian again.'

Yes, though the boy has been having nightmares nearly all week, Severus couldn't let the boy not go unpunished for lying to him. The boy needed to learn not to lie to most trustworthy adults, like he, himself.

With a yawn, Severus took another sip of his steaming mug of coffee, which he still did not like, but it was better than nothing, put his quill to parchment and continued his own work. Now that he has finished rewriting the class curriculum for the first years, he needed to restart the curriculum for his second and seventh years.

"Take two drops, Pott....Mr Potter," Severus instructed, handing the boy a familiar purple potion.

Potter, who was currently sitting up in bed, not wanting to go to sleep, but with a lot of persuasion from Severus, the boy complied, especially with the confidence from said potions master, that he wouldn't be suffering from any nightmares once he takes two drops of the potion.

“Wh-why only two dr-dr-drops si.....sir?” Potter tiredly asked him,

A thoughtful look crossed the potions master's face.

“It is only two drops because, Mr Potter, this potion, the dreamless sleep, is harmful if taken in a large dose, can result to death if one isn't too careful.....” Severus paused, thinking back to what he had learnt about the potion when he had first helped his uncle brew the potion, not much older than the Potter boy. “However, it all depends on the drinker's body mass. Height and weight. You, Pott....Mr Potter, since you are a lot shorter and weigh lighter than most of your year group,"

Potter's cheeks blushed red as said boy averted his eyes to the duvet.

Severus couldn’t help but be reminded of himself when he had first gone to live with his uncle. He rolled his eyes, knowing that he and the Potter child are nothing alike. Ignoring this, Severus continued.

“You can only drink two drops. Any more than that, you would be at risk of falling right back in a coma.” He told the boy in a serious, warning tone. Just as he was about to remind the boy to drink the potion, a scary thought popped into Severus's mind.

“Pott.....Mr Potter,” he started off in a silky tone, which soon changed to a threatening one. “If I ever find out you’ve been sneaking this potion from either my own store cupboards....or from the Hogwarts hospital wing, then you will be one sorry boy. Understand?” he threatened, fixing his ward with a hard glare that basically said, ‘you better not disobey.’

Potter just sat there staring up at him from his space on the bed. When Severus thought that he would have to repeat his threat, the boy nodded his head, followed by a quiet verbal response.

“Uh, ye-yes sir” Potter truthfully said

Severus nodded at this. Hoping beyond hope that the boy would take the warning seriously.

Once his ward had drank two drops of the potion, Severus took the vial back, corked it then took a seat down in the armchair. "Did you....did you want to hear another story about your mother, Mr Potter?" Severus asked the boy, seeing as that managed to get his ward to sleep for most of the week without the potion. The boy nodded his head against the pillow without any hesitation.

Silence ensconced the room as Severus thought of another good story to tell that would help get the boy to sleep. Thinking of one, Severus told Potter to get comfy.

"It was our first Christmas together, a few years before we started Hogwarts, I think...." Severus paused, watching as the boy struggled to hold back a yawn. Just as he was about to continue, Potter, yawning again, interrupted.

"Um, sir, y--you uh.... knew my mother before Hogwar's?" Potter asked,

Severus nodded. "Yes, but that story is for another time. Now, can I get back to my current story?"

Potter yawned. "Y'sir"

Continuing from where he had paused, Severus continued. "I think we were about eight....or nearly eight. Anyway, we had met that summer earlier on, which I will tell you about later." There was a long pause as Severus thought back to his first Christmas with Lily. "You have visited your....great-aunt before, haven't you, Mr Potter?"

Potter frowned as if thinking about it. He then shook his head. "No s—sir, didn' know....I--I had any other rel....relatives, sir"

It was Severus's turn to frown. Confused, the potions master had assumed Potter would have visited at least once, seeing it was his great-aunt, his only other living relative besides Lily's horrible older sister.

Severus shook his head, knowing he needed to get back to the story. You're getting off topic, Severus. ignoring that side of his brain, instead, the potions master went with what he wanted to ask the boy.

"And why not? Didn't your relatives ever bring you to visit? After all they're...."

"Aun'y said we--said we don'ave any....any other living relatives, sir,"

Raising an eyebrow at this in disbelief, Severus wanted to push the boy further, ask the child more questions, but seeing as the boy was drifting to sleep, Severus reluctantly pushed the questions aside, for now and continued his story. He let out a small sigh, knowing he would have to describe Potter's great-aunt's house as much as he could from memory.

"That is fine, Mr Potter. I shall just have try and describe the house as much as possible then." Severus told the boy in a gentle tone, he gave a yawn himself. "Now where was I, ah, that's right.....you're mother and her family were visiting her mother's sister and your mother's cousins, who lived in the nearby village from here. Her aunt owned a three-bedroom cottage, by a river. In the winter, if there was any snow, I would always think I was in a Narnian styled village...."

He described the river out front, the stone the cottage was made of. (Limestone) he described the snow covered trees, described the interior and the layout of the cottage as best as he could. What it was like during summer, when there were some warm sunny days, and what it was like during the winter.

“Since your mother and I had been writing to each other as much as possible, using my mother's owl, I knew from the letters that she was visiting the area again, and so we had arranged to meet up at the local park where we had first met."

Severus went on to describe the park that was covered in snow on the day they had met up again for the first time since the summer ended. He described the way Lily looked that day, described the first time they had played together in the snow.

"Between the two of us, your mother's sister, their cousins, and some of the local muggle village kids, we had a snow ball fight that lasted for quite some time. Lily and I were on the same team as each other, winning 5/2. We were all cold after the game had ended, and had all decided to head to our designated homes, since Lily's aunt's house was closer than mine...." And welcoming. Severus added in his head. "We, Lily and I, headed back there, where we had homemade hot chocolate with marshmallows, and along with her aunt, parents and her sister, we all sat down in the living room, by the roasting fire, watching a muggle movie called, A Christmas carol, on the muggle picture box. It turns out, that was your mother's favourite Christmas movie, I...."

Jerking awake, several minutes later, Severus rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. He then glanced over at his ward who was fast asleep. With a yawn, Severus tiredly stood up, stretching, he went over to the bed, tucking the boy in.

Hesitating, Severus's hand lingered above the boy's head, shortly finding itself, brushing the boy's messy hair. Realizing what he was doing, Severus pulled back his hand, but instead of leaving the room like he had wanted to, he took a few steps back, away from the bed and just stood there quietly for a moment or two, making sure the boy was actually, fast asleep. When he was certain, Severus hesitated before finally leaving the room, noxing the bedroom light as he did.

Back in his own room, Severus, ready for bed himself, looked at the vial of potion in his hand. Shaking his head as if to tell himself, no, the potions master placed the vial in the drawer in his bedside table. Closing the drawer, Severus noxed the light of his wand, he then placed his wand atop of the bedside table, then climbed into his comfortable bed. Yawning, Severus pulled the duvet up to his chin, his head hit his soft pillow, and as he did his nightly routine, occlude his mind, his eyes closed and soon the only sound in the dark, bedroom of the potions master, was the man snoring.

Wednesday, Harry noticed that Snape hadn't showed up at all for breakfast. He sighed, as he got continued to write another fifty lines of the punishment the potions master had given him for lying.

Half way through, Snape interrupted, and after receiving permission from Harry, walked into the room, asking if Harry wanted to play a game. Harry shrugged, but nodded, knowing he didn't want to finish writing his lines. He then asked the professor what game they'd be playing, Snape told him, shortly summoning a deck of cards.

*****

"Any kings sir?" Harry asked, he couldn't help but smirk when the professor groaned, knowing he was losing....again, for the third time that morning as they played Go Fish. A simple muggle card game, that Harry hadn't played nor known how to play up until today when Snape taught it to him. "Thank you sir," Harry smiled, thanking the man as he took the king of hearts from the man.

A look of concentration appeared on Harry's face as he studied his cards so far. Right now he currently had 9 cards. 3 threes (3 of diamonds, 3 of clubs and 3 of hearts) 2 kings (King of hearts and King of clubs) 2 fours (4 of spades and 4 of diamonds) 1 queen (Queen of spades) and 1 seven (7 of hearts.)

He decided to ask the professor if he had any queens. He let out a small laugh as the professor let out a groan. Taking the card from the man, Harry decided to say, "if I didn't know any better sir, I would think you hate this game"

In response, Snape grumbled, "I didn't....until now."

Looking at his cards again, Harry decided to ask the professor for any of his threes, that is if he had any.

"Finally." Snape let out, relieved. His expression changed back to a stoic one as he cleared his throat. "I'm afraid not Mr Potter. Go....fish"

Harry reached for a card atop of the floating pile in between the two of them. Turning it over so he could see, the smile that was on his face, dropped. "Your turn sir." He told the professor, who then went and asked if he had any Jacks.

Without having to look at his cards, Harry took out the one he had just picked up, handing it to the professor, who then asked if he had any sevens. Harry nodded. It wasn't until Snape asked if he had any fours, did Harry let out a sigh as he handed the two cards over to the smirking potions master. Though he hadn't played this game up until today, he was starting to not like this game. However, that changed back, when Snape asked if he had any fives.

"No sir, I do not." He confidently said, smiling, now that it was his turn to ask Snape and win back some cards.

"Any queens, sir" Harry asked, deciding to start with that one first. He thanked the professor when he handed him the designated card.

The game continued for fifteen minutes, and in the end, Snape won.

“How much of the lines have you written so far, Mr Potter?” Snape decided to ask Harry as he shuffled the deck of cards, ready for another game of Go Fish.

Harry blanched. I should have just told him that I hadn't finished inst....he startled out of his thoughts when he heard Snape sigh.

“I believe we are finished with these cards for now” Snape said, taking out his wand, getting ready to spell the cards back where they had come from.

Enjoying the game, Harry didn’t want it to end, but he just nodded his head in agreement.

“If we have time later, if you want, we can continue playing a few more rounds of Go Fish.” Snape said in a promising tone

Harry raised an eyebrow at this. “This afternoon could we um....play another game or two, sir?” he hoped, watching as Snape's facial expression changed from a neutral tone to a thoughtful one.

The potions master shortly gave a curt nod. “Yes....sometime, this afternoon if you are up to it of course”

Glad, Harry was about to grab the tray Snape had Lucy bring up after breakfast so he could use it like a ‘portable desk' so he wouldn't get ink on the bedding, he glanced up at Snape once more, a question he wanted to ask the man.

“Go ahead Mr Potter, ask whatever question you want.....just as long as it's appropriate” Snape told him, sitting back down in the armchair as he did.

“How'd you....” Harry watched Snape raise an eyebrow, giving him a look that just said, ‘do you really need to ask.’ He shook his head. Giving a small nervous sigh, Harry asked the professor his question. “Where um....were you s-sir, today at um....at br-breakfast?”

Instinctively, Harry flinched back. I must have death wish.

Severus sat there for a moment unable to move as he thought about Potter's question.

Though it was harmless, Severus wasn't going to answer. He wouldn't.

Standing up from the armchair, Severus shook his head, seeing the flinch from the boy.

“Though your question is appropriate, it is not something I will share with you Mr Potter.” He paused, “any....other questions that doesn't involve myself not being here at breakfast this morning.”

Potter frowned at this in confusion, shortly the look changed to a thoughtful, and shortly, the boy shook his head.

“N-no sir, no more questions.”

“Are you sure?”

This time Potter nodded his head. “yes sir.”

Severus narrowed his eyes at the boy. He surveyed the young Potter boy as said child, grabbed his parchment to continue writing fifty lines for the day. It was rare for Severus to allow any of his students to break the punishment down, but seeing as Potter was his ward for the summer, and not just his student, and knowing the boy still needed to preserve his energy, Severus suggest to Potter the other day to do fifty lines each day, so far, the boy has been doing just that and after today the boy would have only a hundred lines to write.

“Alright Mr Potter, I will be downstairs working, so I shall hopefully be back up for lunch.” Severus told the boy as he stood up and out of the armchair.

Potter gave a small nod, without looking up at him, too busy continuing his lines. Certain the boy had heard him, Severus reminded Potter to call for Lucy if he needed anything, he then exited the room and went down to his study.

In the late evening Potter had another nightmare, where he was pleading and begging his uncle to leave him alone, promising not to do any magic, Severus, during this, had gently shook the sweat soaked boy awake.

Potter shot up, almost colliding heads with Severus, who had quickly stepped back, so the collision didn't happen. The boy sat there, panting heavily, Severus kept a hand placed on the back of the boy's shoulder.

“Easy Pott....Mr Potter, breath.” Severus gently told him.

This caused the boy to flinch. “S-sir?”

Severus nodded his head. “Yes Po....Mr Potter, it is I.” There was a pause. “You....had another nightmare, about your uncle,”

Potter looked at him with fear and a different look, one that Severus could not correctly guess what it was.

“Did you want to talk about it?”

The child shook his head, Severus told the boy that it was fine and that if he wasn't ready to talk about it, he didn't have to. “Do you think you’ll be able to go back to sleep?” Severus watched as the boy shook his head.

Has Potter always looked this pale?

“N-“

In the next moment, Severus had vomit all over his slippers. He felt the boy flinch, as he took his wand out from his pocket with his free hand.

“Sor....” Potter started

“It is alri....”

The boy vomited again, and instead of scourgifying his slippers, Severus was about to flick his wand to conjure a bucket, but, Lucy, appeared instead, already holding one. Severus sighed, grateful that he had kept the elf when he had inherited the manor.

“Lucy bought up bucket for younger master Harry Potter sir to use” Lucy squeaked, handing the boy the bucket to hold, while Severus scourgified his slippers clean of any vomit.

“Thank you Lucy,” Severus told the elf, “but how....”

Lucy shook her head, pointing her finger at him, as if reprimanding him.

“Bad master for forgetting that Lucy can knows when Lucy is be needed”

Severus’s cheeks flush red. Of all the house elves, he could have had, he had to end up with the one that does not hesitate to reprimand him, right in front of his student now ward.

The boy groaned, shortly followed by another wave of sickness, and Severus found himself, sitting on the edge of the bed, beside the boy. Memories flashed to the front of his mind, memories of when he was ill and what his mother used to do that would help make him feel better. Deciding to try, Severus, with his hand still resting on the back of the boy's shoulder, Severus rubbed soothing circle's on his ward's back, ignoring the flinch, and the boy tensing.

“Relax, Mr Pott....Harry, you're fine. I'm not going to hurt you” Severus said in a gentle tone,

Eventually, after what seemed like ages, Potter stopped vomiting, and though he was shaking, Severus, telling the boy what he was going to do, scourgified the child. Afterwards, he called for Lucy.

“Do you think you’ll be able to stomach anything Mr Potter?” he asked the boy,

Potter shrugged, “I-I don't know....maybe”

Severus gave a curt nod. “That is fine,”

Lucy shortly popped back into the room. Severus turned to look at her, “Lucy, please bring up two mugs of camomile tea,”

The elf did just as Severus asked, popping back into the room with two mugs of steaming tea, sitting atop of a tray. “I's bought up some camomile tea”

Severus, as he stood up from the bed, took a mug of tea from the tray and handed it to the boy, warning him that it was hot and to be careful.

Potter yawned, afterwards, the boy quietly thanked him as he took the offered mug.

“No need,” the potions master told the boy as he took his own mug and went over to the armchair, taking a seat, he turned to look at the house elf. “Thank you Lucy. You may go back t-t....to bed” Severus yawned, dismissing the elf.

Both wizards sat there in the dim lit room, sipping their tea. Finally, as the evening continued to lag on closer towards morning, Severus broke the silence. Asking Potter how he was feeling.

The child shrugged. “A little better sir,”

Severus nodded at this. “Do you know what could have caused it?” he decided to ask, breaking the few moments of silence.

He watched as Potter started to bob his head up and down, as if to say yes, but instead of saying any words, Potter hesitated for a moment before shaking his head in the negative.

“N-no sir,” Potter quietly said, with his emerald eyes averted to his mug of herbal tea.

As he took a sip of his own mug of herbal tea, Severus mentally filed away Potter's response, for later.

Thursday morning, both wizards woke later than usual, Lucy served them breakfast. In the afternoon, Snape was back downstairs, continuing to rewrite the class curriculum for each Hogwarts year, now starting on the third and sixth years.

Harry continued writing another fifty lines.

After dinner, Snape supplied the aloe vera potions paste for the boy to rub into his wounds, like before. Nightmares again, and Harry woke to Snape there again, giving him a certain look that Harry couldn't say what it was just yet, in case he was wrong, but he knew that it was the same look the professor keeps on giving him each night this week whenever he's woken from a nightmare.

Friday, they played chess again, Severus won twice, while Harry won once. They also played Go Fish, in which Harry won most. Three times, while Snape won twice. In the evening, after Harry applied the aloe vera paste to his wounds, Snape told him more stories of his mother.

When he had woke up drenched in sweat, vomiting, Harry, flinched at the potions master's hand rubbing his back in soothing motions. Like the other night, Lucy bought up two mugs of steaming camomile tea, a hot drink that Harry was starting to like.

Saturday morning found both wizards in the middle of having their lunch when Snape snapped at Harry.

“Do you think you can chew any more louder Potter! Are you....”

“Severus Tobias Snape, I will not have you snapping at my patient like that!” Pomfrey interrupted, startling both a nervous Harry who immediately relaxed when she announced her presence, and an irritated potions master, who looked like one of the many Hogwarts students caught by the said potions master himself. “Come on Mr Potter, just ignore the grinch there, and finish your lunch”

Harry looked at the medi-witch, shocked. She knew that movie?

In the armchair, Snape cleared his throat. “Pott....” Harry flinched. “Mr Potter, please finish your lunch”

Harry glanced towards Pomfrey who nodded encouragingly. “You will need to finish your lunch dear. I cannot run a diagnosis charm on you otherwise” Pomfrey told him.

Harry sighed but nodded, then reluctantly went back to eating. Doing his best to listen to the conversation he was sure to happen between Snape and Pomfrey. Unfortunately, as if reading his mind, Pomfrey turned back to Snape, asking to speak to him outside. The look she gave the potions master, was something that resembled a mother bear, protecting her cubs....or in this case, cub.

Snape noticed the look too. “Why not just in here Poppy, I believe whatev....”

“No, Severus! I want to speak to you privately outside, now!” Pomfrey said, doing her best to keep her voice calm.

Snape looked like he was about to protest again, but one look at the witch, would make the headmaster to obey her.

“Alright fine,” Snape sighed, “but you will allow me to speak first before....releasing your mama dragon on my person”

Harry heard Snape say as the two adults walked out of the bedroom, shutting the door them, leaving Harry to sit there nervously playing with his food instead of eating it.

Pomfrey soon came back in, followed by Snape, who looked just like a child who had been grounded for a month and told no television. Ignoring the potions master who went to sit back down in the armchair, Pomfrey looked at Harry.

“You've barely touched your food Mr Potter,” she pointed out, concerned,

Harry shrugged. “Not that hungry” he quietly said,

The medi-witch sent Snape a glare. Harry watched as Snape shook his head with a look, as if to say, ‘it wasn't me.’

Before Harry could jump in and say that he had eaten some, Pomfrey spoke.

“Alright Mr Potter, nothing to worried about,” she started, taking out her wand, “I will just be casting a diagnosis charm to see how you are faring”

Harry nervously nodded, flinching when the medi-witch pointed her wand at him. He flinched again when he felt a hand land on his shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze.

“You are fine Pott....M...Harry, it is just Popp....Madam Pomfrey” Snape said, Harry startled, just noticing now that Snape had moved the chair closer to the bedside.

When Pomfrey was finished, like last time, a roll of parchment appeared in the air, arms length from the medi-witch, who took it without any hesitation.

Harry sat there nervously as he waited for Madam Pomfrey to finish reading the results and to just tell him now if he had to stay in bed for another week or if he was able to leave.

“Well, according to this, everything seems to be healing just fine Mr Potter. If you continue to keep eating for all three meals, taking the nutrient potion twice a day for breakfast and dinner, you should be at a healthy weight by September. The same goes for if you continue to use the aooe vera potion paste for three times a week, same as you've been doing, your wounds should be fully healed in three weeks time,”

“So....does that mean I-I can leave the bed?”

“Pomfrey gave a small curt nod at this. “Yes it does Mr Potter,”

“Finally” Harry let out in a relieved voice as he made to climb out of bed.

“Just a minute Mr Potter,” Pomfrey stopped him. “Just because you are allowed to leave the bed, does not mean you are allowed to do anything foolish, like flying on your broom, wandering around the manor without telling either Severus or Lucy where you are going. In fact, for the first three days, you are to have either of the two bring you to wherever you want to go....”

A frown appeared on Harry's face. “Does....does that um, include using the um bathroom?”

Pomfrey gave him a look that basically said, ‘what do you think?’

“Yes Mr Potter, it does include just that, but with some privacy. You will be able to use the bathroom facilities while whoever escorted you to the bathroom, must remain outside with the bathroom door unlocked. Also, you are to take it easy for the first few days. No being up on your feet for more than an hour the most.” Pomfrey firmly told him, “Do you understand?”

Harry sighed. At least I don't have to stay in bed all day anymore.
To be continued...
Chapter 9 Harry's Nightmare by RavenMooney
Gasping awake, Harry sat up in bed, squinting his eyes at the bright dim lit light shining from the bedside table lamp. Remembering his...dream, Harry fearfully glanced around. Not really sure what he'd see.

“It's alright Pott....Mr Pott....Harry, it was just a dream.”

He flinched back at the unexpected sound of Snape's voice.

“S-snape? Th-th-that you?” he nervously asked, turning his head in the direction of the voice. Flinching again when he saw a blurry figure standing close to the bedside.

“Yes Mr Potter, it is I” Snape replied, giving a small nod of his head.

Harry decided to ask, “Uh....where’s my uh....glasses.”

“Oh. My bad Mr Potter....” Harry watched as the potions master reached for something atop of the nearby bedside table with a blurry large hand. “Here you go,” Snape said, startling the boy.

There was a moment or two of hesitation, before Harry nervously took his glasses from the potions master. Putting them on, he thanked the professor.

“No need, Mr Potter.” Snape shook his head. The room fell silent. “Did you want to....to talk about it?” Snape eventually asked.

Harry started shaking his head in the negative. No, I don't want to talk about it.

“It was....it was about the chamber,” he started, telling Snape, looking at the professor.

Snape frowned, confused.

“The chamber of...secrets?”

“N-no sir,” Harry shook his head. “The uh....chamber where Dumble.....”

“Headmaster Dumbledore.” Snape interrupted, correcting him.

Harry let out a sigh, but complied. “Where the uh....headmaster hid the uh....philosopher's stone,”

There was a long pause, “it is alright, Mr Pott....Harry, take your time.” Snape gently said,

Harry looked at the potions master with a strange look. It felt a mixture of strange and....well, warm whenever Snape slipped up and called him by his first name. Not many people, in Harry's lives do. It's just usually, Potter or Mr Potter, but never Harry, the name his parents gave him, the name that represents him as a person, not his mother or his father, as most people usually do, when they call him Potter or Mr Potter and not only that, they end up treating him as if he was his parents and not himself. One of the Many reasons Harry liked Mrs Weasley, she’s always calling him Harry, always treating him as an individual and not as if he acted like his parents.

“Ron, Hermione and I, we uh...well, after getting um....passed fluffy-that's what Hagrid....I mean, professor Hagrid, called the three headed dog-we um, fell into these vine like plants....” Harry continued,, shortly pausing. A thoughtful look appearing on his face as he tried to remember what the plant was called. He glanced across at Snape, who also had what appeared to be a thoughtful look on his face. “I uh....can't exactly remember what Hermione had called them, but she remembered the plant's weakness was sunlight and anything similar.....”

“Devil's snare?” Snape interrupted,

Harry looked confused, knowing he had heard that name before. Hermione. She had called the vine like plants that name. He gave a small nod to Snape.

“Yeah sir, that's uh....that's the uh name foe the plants. That's what Hermione had called them when we were down there.”

The room fell silent as Harry sat there on the bed, contemplating on how to continue with telling Snape what had happened in reality and his nightmare. So far, he's just been telling Snape the actual events of what had happened in reality. Finally, making up his mind, Harry nodded to himself, silently agreeing with his thoughts.

“After we uh....managed to get passed the um....Devil's snare with the help of Hermione, all three of us continued, until we came to the next obstacle....” he paused, trying to remember what the next obstacle had been. The keys.

Harry went on to tell Snape what had happened with the keys, he then paused, this was where his....dream started, when they had gotten to the fourth obstacle. The chess board.

Nervously, he bit his bottom lip, unsure of whether to tell Snape what had happened in the dream first or what had happened in reality, then tell him the dream. He decided on going with the latter idea.

“Don't bite your lip, Mr Potter.” Severus told his ward, startling the boy.

“Why not sir?”

“It is simply a bad habit.” He simply replied

Potter thought about it for a moment, then shrugged his shoulders. “O-okay” was all the boy said in reply.

Severus frowned, confused. “Okay what?”

The Potter boy sighed,

“Okay I....uh, won't bite my lip again.” The child said,

Severus couldn't help but snort at that. “Don't make promises you cannot keep, Pott...Mr Potter,”

“I'm serious.”

“I know. But, you won't just be able to stop biting your lip just like that....that is why it is called a habit.” Severus explained.

The child looked as if he was about to protest, but Severus cut him off before he could even get one word out.

“We're getting off topic. Continue with telling me what your....nightmare was about?” Severus gently said, pushing a little. He wouldn't be able to help the boy if he didn't know what the boy's nightmare had been about, and he was immensely grateful that he had a cousin like Colleen, who told him of the actual events, since it will most likely help him with helping the Potter boy.

Speaking of which, the Potter boy, nervously continued talking about his nightmare, while Severus sat there quietly, listening to the boy, making sure he hung on to every important word, as the boy talked about the chess board obstacle, the potions obstacle and of course what had happened down in the last chamber.

Severus noticed how pale thee boy looked when he started talking about the seventh chamber where the headmaster had kept the mirror of erised. He wondered if facing Quirrell with the Dark Lord's head, was really traumatic for the boy, if that were the case, he wondered if the boy was getting some help talking about the event.

“....en I uh....got there sir, I was expecting to see...to see Quirrell or Voldem....”

“Don't say his name!” Severus hissed, causing the Potter child to flinch. Instinctively Severus' right hand went to his left arm.

Usually, most people tended to just apologise and be sure not to say that name, but Potter decided to ask why not, Severus thought that was it, and was about to give a...reason why he doesn't like it when people say that name without actually revealing what he had foolishly done many years ago, only, Potter continued talking.

“Dumble....I....I mean, professor Dumbledore sir, said ‘fear....”

“....fear of a name, increases fear of the thing itself.” Severus interrupted, knowing exactly that's what Potter was going to say. Blasted headmaster!

Potter looked up at him in surprise.

Severus couldn't help but roll his eyes at Potter's expressions. “Yes Pott...Mr Potter, I've heard headmaster Dumbledore say that quote many times before, but it does not....work for me when it comes to the Dark Lord, for reasons I cannot explain right now....”

“Who's the Dark Lord?” Potter asked, frowning, confused.

Severus’ eyes went wide, unsure of how to exactly answer that question. For once, a child has managed to cause him to be unable to speak. He shook his head.

“That is for another time Mr Potter, right now, though, we are here to discuss your nightmare.” Severus said, deciding it was the best time to get back on track.

Potter looked as if he was about to protest, or at least avoid talking about the dream.

Severus dearly wished he could use veritaserum potion on the boy, but unfortunately he couldn't as it doesn't mix well with the nutritive potion, even in a magical being's stomach.

“Tell me the rest of your nightmare and I....” Severus paused, thinking of something that could convince the boy to talk about the dream.

“Dream.” Potter interrupted

“And I....what?”

“Call it a dream....not a....not a nightmare.”

Severus frowned, confused, but complied. “Very well Mr Potter, I shall call it a dream if you want me to.” He the continued on with his threat, “and I shall hold back from giving you and your two cohorts detention on the first day back at school.” Severus smirked when he noticed the boy’s face change. No doubt, thinking that I cannot do what I just said I won't do if he tells me about his dream.

Detention? But...you....we didn't do anythi....” the boy stuttered, unsure if Severus really can give him and his friends detention.

Severus rolled his eyes.

“Actually I can.”

“You-you can?” Potter looked up at him in confusion.

The potions master leaned forward slightly in the chair so that his face wasn't far from the boy's. He glared at the Potter boy.

“Might I remind you Pott....Mr Potter, that you and your little friends stole potions ingredients from me, a professor and a head of house, back in your second year and brewed a potion unsupervised in the girls bathroom!” Severus reminded the boy,

Potter’s face went Blanche.

“I-it, wasn't....us” Potter stuttered, shaking his head in the negative.

The head of Slytherin continued to glare warningly at the boy.

“Are you sure about that?” Potter hesitated before nodding his head. “Then please explain to me as to why Miss Granger was in Madame Pomfrey's Hospital wing looking like an Animagus spell gone wrong....” Potter had a confused look on his face.

“What's a....ani-ani....”

Severus sighed. He had forgot for one moment that the child was going into third year this September.

“Animagus?” Potter nodded his head again.

Severus explained to him what an Animagus was.

"An Animagus Mr Potter, is a wizard or witch that can transform themselves into an animal at will. It is a learned skill and is taught during third year at Hogwarts in Transfiguration classes. When a wizard or witch becomes an Animagus, they have to register that they are one so the ministry can keep track of those who have learned to become one."

Potter's mouth formed an 'O' shape, shortly followed by a frown.

"Uh...sir, is uh...McGon...I mean, is professor McGonagall an Animagus."

Severus nodded. "Yes, she is. She's a cat. Why do you ask?"

Potter told him about his first transfiguration lesson back in first year, when he and Ron had been late, and when they arrived to class, they had assumed luck was on their side, until McGonagall had morphed back to herself.

Knowing they were getting off track, Severus decided to turn the conversation back to where they had left off, before Potter had asked what an Animagus was.

“....or a polyjuice potion gone wrong?”

*****

This time it was Harry's eyes that went wide. Bloody hell.

How the hell does he know we stole ingredients from him and brewed the polyjuice potion?

Harry felt stupid then and there. He's the potions master idiot. Pomfrey would have had to get his help to turn Hermione back to normal. Harry told himself, knowing that was most likely the reason. Though, why didn't they have a detention then and there? Harry now wanted to know.

“Well Pott...Mr Potter? I'm waiting!” Snape’s tone startled him out of his thoughts.

Dejectedly sighing, Harry, after a quick silent apology to both Hermione and Ron, he confessed that they did steal the potions, but he explained their reasons.

“We uh....well, you see sir....we thought Malfoy....would know about the uh chamber of secrets. We-we thought he was the heir of Slytherin.”

Silence fell over the room as Snape sat there. Harry could tell that the potions master was no doubt contemplating on what he had just confessed and their reasons for what they did.

“Interesting.....” Snape said in his usual silky tone that made every student that wasn't Slytherin, run for the hills. “And what might I ask, did you and your cohorts find out about the Malfoy boy? Was it worth stealing potions ingredients from a professor such as myself?”

Harry wasn't sure whether the man was being serious or not.

“S-sir?”

Snape raised an eyebrow as he sat back in the armchair, resting an arm on one of the armrests. He tapped his spider-like fingers rhythmically against the same armrest as he waited for Harry to finish asking his question.

“Are-are you uh...being serious sir? Do you want to kn-know if we did find out if Malfoy knew about the um....”

Snape gave a curt nod of his head. “Yes Pott...Mr Potter, I am genuinely interested to know if you and your two cohorts did find what you wanted about the Malfoy boy”

Harry looked at Snape with confusion. Why does he want to know? I thought he would already know since he is Malfoy's head of house and possibly godfather?

“O-o-okay sir, but we uh....didn’t really find out much. It turns out that he knew just about nothing as we did.” Harry told the potions master, who had a look that Harry was starting to recognise as the professor’s thoughtful look.

Silence fell over the room once more until Snape broke the long minute or two silence.

“So....are you going to finish telling me about your dream or do I have to assign you and those two cohorts of yours detention on the first day back of school?”

Harry let out a dejected sigh, knowing he had lost. He hesitated a moment more longer, before continuing to tell Snape about the rest of his dream....this was what he was dreading. He couldn't lie to the man, no matter how many times he wanted to right this very moment, he just knew that if he did lie, Snape was sure to know. After staying in this house for quite some time now, Harry now knew that the man practically knew everything and nothing can get pass the professor.

He gave in, continuing telling Snape what happened in his dream. It wasn't a nightmare. Freaks don't get nightmares.

He told Snape what happened with the chess board obstacle, telling the professor that Ron sacrificed himself so they could finish the game to get through to the stone and protect it from....well, instead of saying to Snape that they had thought it was him, he just said voldemort. He told Snape about the potions obstacles and what happened in his dream.

“What happened next, in your night-in your dream?” Snape asked,

Harry sighed.

“I-i-it wasn't Quirrell....it was....it was...” Harry trailed off, not really wanting to say who it was.

Unfortunately, Snape wanted to know.

“It was who, Pott...Mr Potter?”

Harry shook his head in the negative. With a glance up at Snape, (big mistake) he let out another dejected sigh.

In a small, quiet voice, he told Snape who it was after the stone in his dream.

“It was.....” he swallowed thickly, “my-my uncle”

Severus sat there, stunned and speechless. This was much harder than I thought it was.

He continued sitting there for a good minute or more, trying to come up with a good reason as to why Potter's uncle might be in Potter's nightmare.

“What....” Severus started, but paused when he noticed the boy genuinely yawning. Taking out his wand, Severus casted a tempus charm. He frowned noticing the time.

3AM.

As he pocketed his wand again, after vanishing the time, he glanced over at the boy on the bed. He doesn't look too tired, perhaps I could push him a little further.

Mind made up, Severus decided to ask the boy what happened in his dream when it turned out to be the uncle.

Potter shook his head in the negative, not wanting to talk about it.

Not knowing what else to do, Severus gave in.

“Please, Harry,” he started to plead with the boy, using the softest tone he could muster, hoping that it would work. “Tell me what happened in this nig-dream of yours?”

It did.

While the boy told Severus the rest of his nightmare, Severus continued sitting there, quietly resisting the urge to floo over to the headmaster and hex the man into next week for leaving the boy with his cruel relatives, when the boy had perfectly better living relatives who would have been far better guardians than Lily's muggle sister and muggle oaf-in-law.

“and that's when I woke up.” Potter finished

Severus continued to sit there, speechless as he tried to think of how to reassure the boy on the bed.

“It wasn't your fault....what happened down in those chambers to stop the Dark....to stop you-know-who from getting to the stone....it wasn't your fault that your friends, the Weasley boy got hurt sacrificing himself.....”

Potter interrupted him. “Yes it was....if I hadn’t made them come, then....”

“Did you force your friends to come Mr Potter? Did you imperio them?

“Imperio? What does that mean?”

Severus cursed himself. Again, I need to remember the boy is only twelve and has been raised by muggles in the muggle world, not by a wizard and/or witch in the wizarding world.

Severus explained to the boy, what the imperious curse is and why it is an illegal spell to use.

Severus continued from where he had left off. “If... your friend, the Weasley boy had really died down there, it wouldn't have been your fault Mr Potter, because, he chose to go with you, and that is the same with your other friend, who had also chosen to go with you, Miss Granger. If she had been hurt or killed down there for trusting the potion, when you three all believed I was trying to steal the stone, then it wouldn't have been your fault....”

“It would have been my fault, I should have told her to stay with Ron instead but I....”

“She chose to go with you to complete anymore obstacles, did she not?”

Potter had a thoughtful look on his face, then nodded. “Ye-yes sir.”

“Then it wouldn't have been your fault. You didn't do anything wrong. Miss Granger, on the other hand, though she's smart, she’s too trusting in her abilities for her own good” Severus told the boy.

Potter looked at him, shocked. “You-you think Hermione's smart?”

Severus looked at his ward with confusion. Then nodded his head. “I believe I just said that, didn't I?”

Potter nodded. “But, in class....”

“That is different. Now, your uncle, cannot ever enter Hogwarts unless the headmaster and the minister of magic allows him to, seeing as he is a muggle. No muggle can see Hogwarts or even enter the castle. All they'll see is ruins.” Severus told the boy, and....”

Severus noticed the boy was looking exhausted to the point where his eye lids kept drooping. He watched silently as the boy tried hard to fight away sleep.

“Don't fight it, Pott....Mr Potter. You need the rest if you don't want to stay in bed all day.” He calmly told the boy, startling him.

“Huh....wha'” the boy gave a long yawn. He tiredly shook his head in the negative. “I, No'... tired”

Severus, wouldn't usually call his elf at this time of night unless the reason was important, but tonight, he'd make that an exception.

Calling Lucy, the tired little elf who had just been woken up, popped into the room. She gave a small yawn.

“I’s is sorry master Severus sirs” she quickly apologised.

The potions master shook his head. “Do not apologise Lucy. You did nothing wrong. You were just yawning, which I am not angry about. You have every right to yawn, considering you were no doubt in the middle of a deep slumber just now until I called for you.” Severus calmly told her, “now, enough talk. Do you think you could bring up two mugs of....” he glanced at his exhausted looking ward, “two mugs of chamomile and peppermint tea, please” He ordered

Lucy nodded her head.

“Yes master Severus sirs, I’s can dos that” with that, she was gone.

*****

Harry sat there in bed, confused. Though he was too tired to concentrate on anything he had just about heard Snape ordering two hot drinks.

“Uh...s-sir?” he started, slightly confused.

“Yes Pott....Mr Potter?”

“Why d-did you order two of the same drinks? Is-is anyone comi....”

Snape raised an eyebrow. He shook his head, seeing where Harry was going. "No, no one's coming over. As you can perfectly see if you look outside the window, behind you Pott...Mr Potter, then you will see that it is extremely late for any visitors." Snape paused, "the herbal tea is for you, you daft boy....(Harry flinched)….do you honestly think, I would order two of the same drinks for myself?"

Harry hesitated before shaking his head.

“n-no sir. I uh....”

Luckily Lucy popped back up with the drinks before Harry could continue digging himself a deeper hole.

“Thanks Lucy” he thanked the elf in small voice as she handed him a steaming mug of the herbal tea that Snape had ordered.

She nodded, “Careful masters, yours drinks are hot” she warned them.

Snape gave her a curt nod. “We shall be careful, Lucy. Now, return to your sleeping quarters, Lucy. It is late.” As she popped away, Harry watched Snape turn back to look at him, "drink your tea, Pott...Mr Potter....it helps on nights like these when you cannot get a good night's sleep. My mother, used to give it to me as a child and I do the same for my Slytherins." The professor explained,

Harry nodded, his head. "Thanks sir," he quietly said, before taking a slow sip of the tea.

Snape shook his head. "No thanks are required Pott...Mr Potter. The only thing I ask is that you don't waste that drink."

BOOM!

Harry startled in his seat,

CRASH!

His heart beat, increasing with speed as fear crept in.

He hated days like this when it's just constantly thundering and lightening.

It always manages to bring back memories of his earliest memory of a thunder storm, when he was four years old, fast asleep in his dark-at the time, spacious-cupboard under the stairs, trying to sleep as he had needed to get up early the next day to do his chores if he wanted to eat something. Only he couldn't, not when his cousin, Dudley started screaming, shortly followed by the thunderous sounds of his uncle running down the stairs and the lock on his cupboard door clicking open....

"Harry,”

Harry flinched-just as another thunderous noise from the afternoon storm sounded outside of the manor-feeling large spider-like hand touching his back.

Beside him Snape sighed, causing Harry to frown in confusion. The potions master continued speaking in a gentle tone.

“Don't you want to continue playing?” Snape asked, gesturing to the game of wizards chess they had been in the middle of playing.

Harry frowned, unsure of what to do or say. The thunder outside didn't help at all.

A thoughtful look crossed the potions master's face as Harry continued sitting there, shaking. Flinching every now and then from the crashing thunder.

Come with me,” Snape said, standing up and holding out a hand for Harry to take.

Unsure and not entirely trusting Snape, Harry just sat there, looking up at Snape's face, trying to work out whether to trust the man right this very moment or not.

“I will not bite, nor are you in any trouble Pott...Mr Pott...Harry, I just know a way for you to not concentrate on the raging storm outside.” Snape told in a firm but gently tone.

“Whe...where are we....”

“We will go down to my lab. Brewing with my mother when I was a child always helped me to ignore the thunder” Snape truthfully said,

Registering what Snape had said, Harry continued on looking up at the man, confused. “Wait...you want me to help you with brew-brewing?”

Harry watched as the man gave a shake of his head.

“You wish Pott...Harry,” Snape started, “with the potions skills you possess in class, I think I'd like to keep my lab in tact, thank you very much...but, you may help me with preparing the ingredients for the potion I am in need of brewing for Madam Pomfrey's Hospital wing.” The professor offered,

Harry thought about it. There was no Malfoy to disrupt him, or Neville for that matter to mess up the ingredients. He looked up at Snape again, nodding. Standing up, he hesitated before taking the potions master's potion-stained hand.

The older wizard guided the boy out of the living room and in the direction of his potions lab.

Once in the lab, Harry had to pinch himself to make sure he wasn't having a crazy dream.

He wasn't.

“Alright Mr Potter,” Snape started, turning to face the boy. “You will be helping me with the calming draught...it is a fourth year potion, so you will follow every instruction I tell you. If not, then you will be banned from this lab until I see fit to allow you in here again. Understood?”

Hearing every word Snape had said, Harry nodded nervously.

“Ye-yes sir” he said, a little glad that they were down in Snape's lab than somewhere upstairs. If this was under any other circumstance, he'd be more nervous about being down here with Snape, alone....but right now, he was just glad that he couldn't hear any thunder.

“Good,” Snape gave a curt nod to Harry, taking out his wand and waving it. Shortly a potions book from a shelf from the right side of the lab came flying towards Snape, the professor, used his wand, guiding the potions book to the workbench that wasn't occupied with a brewing cauldron that contained a potion he was brewing for one of his clients. “First, go wash and dry your hands over there,” Snape indicated to a sink that was at the far end of thee room.

Harry nodded, going to do as he was told.

“Just a minute Pott...”

Harry flinched, turning to face Snape, ready to raise his hands in a protective manner. Did I so something wrong already? He thought nervously biting his bottom lip.

As if reading his thoughts, Snape shook his head.

“You are not in trouble Mr Potter....just be sure that I have actually finished talking before walking away from me” Snape told him in a neutral tone,

Harry nodded, in understanding. “Yes sir”

“Now, before you had been about to walk off....”

Harry had to resist rolling his eyes.

“I was just about to instruct you to have a look at that book there, Mr Potter,” Snape used his wand, pointing at the book that he had recently summoned, “and open it up to page 127....when you do, have thorough read through the recipe for the calming draught, while I gather the ingredients and equipment we will need. Understood?”

“Uh...yes sir, understood.”

“Good. Now go and wash your hands” Snaoe told him,

Harry did just that, going over to the sink where he washed and dried his hands, Snape did the same and both wizards then went to do their designated tasks.

Reading the recipe, Harry thought the potion looked rather interesting and easy to follow. When he was finished, he read through the recipe, making sure he had not missed anything out.

Just as he was nearly finished, Snape who had finished collecting everything that they would need, startled him from behind as he approached the bench himself, his arms full with potions ingredients that he knew he would need for the specific potion.

“Have you finished reading the recipe yet, Mr Potter?” Snape asked,

Harry flinched, too focused on the words in front.

“Uh...” he nodded his head, “yes sir” he glanced up at Snape, who told him to read it out to him then. He nodded again, turning back to the potions recipe.

He started reading out the ingredients first.

“So we need....six grinded lavender petals,” he paused, glancing up at Snape, who nodded his at him, silently telling him to continue. “three finely chopped asphodel petals,”

“We've got them....continue, Mr Potter,”

Harry nodded, continuing. “Uh we need...a strand of unicorn hair, two drops of rose oil, and a finely crushed moonstone”

Beside him, Harry could see from the corner of his eye that Snape was making sure he had the last three ingredients. He saw Snape nod to himself. His heart rate increased when he noticed the professor turning to look at him. He bit his bottom lip nervously, wondering what....

“If I brew and crush the moonstone and add the unicorn hair, do you think you can, Mr Potter....prepare the lavender and asphodel petals,”

A small smile started to spread across Harry's face, followed by a hesitant...

“Just a second Pott...Mr Potter. This is a fifth year potion, and it may seem easy at first to brew, but it is quite hard, and the only reason I am allowing you down here right now, helping me brew....is due to the storm.”

Harry braced himself when he recognised the warning glare the professor was shooting at him.

“If you mess this up like you’ve done with the rest of your potions in class....I'll....”

*****

Be calm Severus, calm. The potions master told himself when he closed his eyes.

He knew he can most of the time be harsh to the students when it comes to teaching a practical lesson, which was due to the fact that he knew from personal experience that he could never ever be friendly in a potions classroom during practical lessons, it was down right dangerous and he had learned that from the hard way. Several years ago when he had first started....

Concentrate Severus, you have potion to brew for Poppy and a twelve year old to watch.

He sighed, taking a deep breath in then letting it back out. Slightly calmer than earlier, Severus opened his eyes, looking down at his ward he just finished the threat, a little less harsh than before.

When they started preparing the ingredients, Severus, noticing from the corner of his eye how well Potter was finely chopping the asphodel petals, in the exact way a potioneer or muggle chef would do.

Severus frowned, confused, thinking back to the numerous potions lessons where the boy was always messing up the potion.

About to ask,

The Potter boy interrupted him before he could even open his mouth and let the question out.

“Sir, is uh...this okay?” The boy asked, nervously,

Looking at the chopped petals, Severus assessed them all, before nodding.

“Yes...these are...” he paused, trying to think of the right word to use. It wouldn't do to shock the boy to the point where he faints. “These are adequate. Well done, Mr Potter."

The Potter boy let a small smile appear on his face, causing a strange fuzzy feeling to appear in Severus' stomach. He didn't like it.

“Don't get too confident Pott....Mr Potter, you've still got to ground the lavender petals.” He told the boy,

The smile, just as it had appeared, it quickly disappeared from the boy's face and a forced neutral expression was now all Severus could see.

Not liking the different feeling he knew all too well, Severus rolled his eyes upwards, wondering if he was losing his mind.

“I am sure though, judging by the way you have managed to chop these petals,” Severus indicated to the asphodel petals, that were shortly due to go in to the cauldron, “then I am sure you'll mange fine with grinding the lavender.”

The boy just nodded, as he concentrated on the grinding the petals, while Severus added the asphodel into the cauldron, stirring clockwise, Severus, from the corner of his eye, noticed a small tug of a smile appearing on Potter's face.

The strange fuzzy feeling was back, and Severus decided he liked that feeling better than the previous one.

Brewing the potion for the rest of the morning, and finishing just before Lucy arrived to tell them that lunch was ready, Severus once again, compliment the boy on his preparation techniques that he showed with preparing the ingredients.

And as they sat, eating their lunch in silence, Severus was back to the question, why the boy couldn't brew a decent potion at the end of every lesson, while here, he managed to prepare the ingredients the exact same way Severus have done.
To be continued...
Chapter 10 Two Steps Backwards by RavenMooney
Currently sitting at the table, the two wizards sat there eating their breakfast in quiet.... well, Severus sat there eating in quiet as he read the latest news in the Wizarding world, in the Daily Prophet, while his ward, was playing with the rest of his porridge he couldn't yet stomach.

Severus's hand clenched tightly on the newspaper. How hard is it to....

His thoughts were shortly interrupted by the Potter boy.

“Uh...sir,”

It took a few moments for Severus to respond back. After reading the wizarding news, he had to calm himself least he snapped at the boy.

“What is it Pott....Mr Potter?” he let out a sigh. Glad that he hadn't lost control and snapped or forgotten to not call the boy ‘Potter.’

“I uh.... I've finished. Could I uh be excused, sir?”

As he folded his newspaper up, Severus looked over at the boy sitting across from him on the other side of the dining table. He looked at the boy's bowl of porridge, satisfied with the amount Potter had ate, he was about to nod, then an idea came to mind.

“Actually, Mr Potter, since you did a good job with assisting me with the calming draught potion, I thought you could assist myself again today, with the avian potion. Hagrid floo called yesterday to let me know that he has ran out of the potion for your bird and will....”

“Hedwig?” Potter piped up, “how is she? Is she okay? When can I see her? Will she be allowed to come...”

Severus raised a hand, to silence the boy.

“Here? Yes, when she's well and rested your bird is allowed to come here. If Hagrid continues to follow my instructions with taking care of the bird, then she should be here sometime next week, in fact, if you are up to it, we can go and collect her, say.... next Tuesday, perhaps?”

The boy furrowed his eyebrows. “Next Tuesday?” the boy repeated, Severus nodded. A small smile slowly appeared on Potter's face. “That's in seven days' time.... that's great sir, and yeah, I uh want to go and collect Hedwig,”

“Very well. Now, while that's out of the way, will you be up to assisting me with the avian potion? Or do you plan on doing something else?”

Potter shrugged.

“Well, I was going to read...” he said slowly, “but I guess I could help, since it's for Hedwig and she’s my owl.”

Severus nodded, as he stood up. “Shall we?”

The two wizards were back down in the lab again and after washing and drying their hands, Severus had the Potter boy prepare a few ingredients again, while he did the brewing and prepared the rest of the ingredients for the potion.

When they had finished by sometime after lunch, which Lucy had bought down to them, Severus, like yesterday had been impressed with the boy and how he prepared the ingredients.

The following day, it continued raining, and again the two wizards were back in the lab, brewing.

This time, Severus decided to have the boy brew a potion that Potter would have brewed back in first year. Draught of living death.

He didn't tell the boy the real reason why he was having him brew, just told him that he had a client in Spain that was in need of the potion, which was partly true, the other part, it was to see if the boy might brew well in this lab better compared to when he's in a classroom. Afterwards, if the boy manages to brew the potion excellently then Severus would question the boy until he found the problem. If he didn't brew the potion excellently and manages to fail like before, then Severus....

“Uh...sir, I’ve finished” Potter said, an hour and a half later, interrupting Severus's thoughts.

“This is....” Severus started, unable to think of the right words. "This is acceptable Pott...Mr Potter." He decided on saying, noticing the blush in the boy's cheeks. Severus felt a small pang of guilt in his chest for thinking that the boy in front of him was a spoilt brat. He should have known.

Silence entered as Severus left a still blushing Potter, standing there by the brewed potion while he himself went over to his potions storage cupboard to collect some vials to brew the potion into. Walking back over, Severus started to cautiously pour the potion evenly into the several empty uncorked vials.

"How come you never brew like this in classes, Pott....Mr Potter? If you did, then you'd currently be competing with Malfoy, and your friend, the Granger girl for the top place in your year group." Severus told the boy.

Shock appeared all over his ward's face, but Severus was busy concentrating on pouring the potion into the vials without any mess to even notice. For the first few minutes anyway, until he realised the child had been, a little too silent.

“I...I don't....” Potter paused, shrugging his shoulders. An unsure look crossing his face.

Pausing in screwing a cork onto one of the filled vials, the potions master looked at his ward, pinning him with a warning glare. “What did I say about lying to me Pott....Mr Potter? You know exactly why you never brew like this in class and I would like to know the reason.”

Potter bit his bottom lip, looking down at the stone tiled floor of the potions lab. Severus was about to reprimand the boy for biting his bottom lip and was about to tell the child to look at him, but the child, as if reading his thoughts, looked back up at him and stopped biting his lip.

Instead, the boy let out a small sigh. One that Severus guessed was a dejected sigh.

Knowing that the boy was going to talk, Severus turned his focus back onto the vials of potions, deciding to screw a few more corks back onto their designated vials, while the Potter child gathered the right words.

“I uh guess....it's easier to read and uh follow the recipe....” Harry started,

Snape looked at him, with a raised eyebrow.

“Easier to read?”

Harry shrugged his shoulders, nodding his head slowly. That was partly true. Snape usually writes the recipe on the board and he couldn't see it at all. The other reason why he could never brew a decent potion is mainly because of Malfoy and his goons were constantly throwing stuff into his cauldron....but he would in no way be telling Snape that, the man never takes points from his own house, has never given Malfoy and his gang detention before and....

“Pott....Mr Potter, how many fingers am I holding up?” Snape unexpectedly asked, frowning in concentration.

Startled, Harry looked up at Snape.

“Uh, what sir?”

Snape repeated his question.

“Oh uh....four.” Harry slowly but confidently said.

Snape nodded then asked Harry to read the label on one of the cupboard doors that were on the other side of the room.

Harry squinted his eyes in the direction Snape had pointed at. He shook his head, not able to process the word/words on the label.

“When was the last time you had your eyes checked Mr Potter?” Snape questioned, the professor had his full attention on Harry, something that Harry didn't like, not one bit.

Thinking about Snape's question, Harry remembered the last time when he had his eyes check was when he was still in primary school. “Uh, when I was still in Primary school sir.... year 4....the first time I had my eyes checked was when I was in reception. Both times the teacher noticed that I couldn't see clearly and...."

“How long ago was that, Mr Potter? What age were you when you last had your eyes last checked?”

“I think I was eight, sir”

Snape was quiet. Processing what Harry had just told him, as he walked over to the other side of the room, over to one of the labelled potions cupboards where he opened the cupboard door, and carefully placed a few vials on the shelf, alongside some other full vials of brewed potions. If Harry was able to see better, he would have been able to read the labels from where he was standing.

The potions master made his way back over to Harry, once he had levitated the rest of the vials over to the cupboard, placing them in and shutting the cupboard door again.

“Have you always had those glasses Pott....Mr Potter or....”

Knowing exactly what Snape was going to ask, Harry nodded, interrupting the potions master. “Uh...yeah sir, the uh...Dursleys said that glasses are too expensive and that I uh have to pay them back for making them spend their money on me when they could have used it for my cousin, Dudley, and I...." Harry paused, noticing Snape frowning.

"They.....your relatives told you that?" Snape asked,

Harry slowly nodded, a little unsure of what Snape was going to do or say.

The potions master's lips thinned and Harry assumed that Snape was going to yell at him or at least call him a liar or possibly both. However, for the second time that day, Harry was shocked with Snape's unexpected response.

“As your guardian for the summer....I shall make sure to book you an appointment with the oculist for when we go to Diagon Alley,”

Hearing that they were going to Diagon Alley, Harry couldn't help but smile. Maybe he could meet up with Ron and Hermione?

As if reading his thoughts, Snape raised an eyebrow, speaking, just as Harry was about ask.

“Let me guess. You wish to meet up with your friends, the Granger girl and the Weasley boy?”

Harry stared up at Snape, shocked that the man knew. “How did....can you uh....read minds, sir?”

Snape snorted. “No Mr Potter, as much as I'd like that, I cannot read minds.....I am-I only knew what you were thinking Mr Potter, because it was practically written all over your face,”

It was silent for a moment or two as Harry stood there biting his bottom lip. “when will....when will we be going to Diagon Alley, sir?”

Snape shook his head.“ No idea, but it will be once your list of books for third year arrive.....so possibly the first week of August. Is that acceptable?”

Harry nodded, as he helped Snape clean up the lab. A small smile spread across his face. He was looking forward to going to Diagon Alley and possibly going to meet up with his two friends.

*****

Night had fallen over the manor and all was quiet-apart from the light rain falling outside- both wizards and house elf slept soundly asleep.

“No, uncle don't, I'm sorry, I....”

Harry gasped awake once more, panting and sweating, he quickly, without hesitation switched on the bedside lamp on, followed by grabbing his glasses and putting them on. He sat there nervously breathing in and out, as he glanced around the room, expecting to see his uncle in the flesh.

He would have let out a sigh of relief, but instead, he flinched when he heard a popping sound.

“Young master Harry Potter sir, Lucy heard young master be having a nightmare, so Lucy bought up a mug of hot chocolate drink for young master,”

Harry held back a sigh. He really didn't like it when Dobby or Lucy call him ‘Harry Potter sir' as if he was some kind of saint. He wasn't.

If he had enough energy to remind Lucy not to call him anything but ‘Harry' then he would have, but he didn't, so instead he just thanked the elf.

“Uh, thanks Lucy. But you really didn't….”

Lucy shook her head in the negative. “Lucy knows what her masters need and Lucy knows yous be needing hot chocolate young master,”

Though he didn't feel like drinking hot chocolate, the Gryffindor, not wanting to be ungrateful accepted the steaming mug that Lucy handed to him. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion when he noticed for the first time since waking up from his nightmare that Snape wasn't in the room and nor had he come. Something the professor has been doing ever since he found out that Harry was suffering from nightmares.

Tonight would be the first time since then, that Snape wasn't in the room, nor did it sound as if the man was going to come running into the room with his wand lit into a lumos charm, a spell the man said he would teach Harry sometime this summer, any time soon.

A squeaky familiar voice interrupted his thoughts.

“Did young master Harry Potter sir be needing anything else?” Lucy asked, recognising the look on the young master's face. It was a similar look she'd seen often on her master Severus's face when he was younger and just a young master himself.

Harry hesitated before shaking his head.

“I'm fine Lucy.” He said, shortly sighing in response. “You uh…wouldn't happen to know where Snape is, would you?”

In response Lucy told him to drink his hot chocolate, purposely ignoring the question and popped out of the room, leaving a twelve year old Harry sitting there in bed, not wanting to go back to sleep just yet.

Harry arrived to the dining room, later than usual, the following morning, having been too caught up in the book that he had been in the middle of reading up in the library, he didn't know that it was time to be down in the dining room until Snape came looking for him.

Snape had not been too happy about that and it didn't take rocket science to figure that out. One look at the professor that morning during breakfast would no doubt send Harry to an early grave.

Other than that, breakfast had been alright.

“Pott…Mr Potter, do you plan to be up in the library for the rest of the morning or would you like to join me with some more brewing?”

There was a moment or more as Harry thought about his response to Snape and what he'd like to do. After last night, he was shocked at first when Snape had asked him, but once the shock left, he thought about it.

He hesitantly nodded, “okay sir, but uh….what are we,”

“Brewing?” Snape finished for Harry who nodded.

A thoughtful look crossed the professor's face.

“I was thinking of brewing the calming draught. The wizarding hospital, St. Mungos has ran out of their stock of calming draughts for patients, and have asked me the other day if I could possibly brew them a batch.”

“Calming draught, sir?”

“It is a potion that calms the drinker. Madam Pomfrey usually has a stock of it in her Hospital wing, usually, it is given to students around exam time as most of them are too worried about their exams. You'll brew the potion in your fourth year.”

Down in the lab again, Severus, with the help of his ward, collected the stuff they would need to brew a decent calming draught.

As Potter was slicing up the lavender roots, Severus stirred the potion clockwise. He was on his third stir, when, Potter, decided to ask him a question.

“Sir,” the boy started,

Severus noted a hint of hesitation in the boy's voice.

“Yes, Mr Potter, what is it?” he asked, not taking his eyes off of the potion.

“Uh….wh-where were you last night, sir?”

Finishing up with brewing the potion four times, and was now starting to brew the potion anti-clockwise three times, after Potter added the sliced lavender roots, Severus, turned his head, his eyebrows raised in a questioning manner as he thought about Potter's question.

“Exactly what time last night?” the potions master asked his ward, noticing a thoughtful look cross the boy's face.

Seeing the boy was going to take some time to respond back, Severus resumed focusing on the clear potion. Stirring it one more time, anti-clockwise.

“Um…don't know.” Potter shrugged his shoulders. “Maybe sometime after midnight,” the boy guessed as he crushed the butterfly wings and daisy roots.

There was a moment or two of silence as Severus stood there, wondering what to say to the boy. He surely didn't want to tell the boy the truth. For one good reason. Potter would see him as weak, and if there was one thing he hated being called, it was weak….as well as a coward, cause he most certainly wasn't weak…or a coward.

On the other hand, he couldn't lie to the boy, because, well, he’d be a complete hypocrite. Something Severus very much despised.

The potions master held in a sigh. Stirring once more. This time the potion was now a soft, baby blue colour, which had changed once Potter added the crushed butterfly wings and daisy roots.

“Sir?”

“It is….not your business Pott…Mr Potter.” He finally told the boy, as they carefully poured the potion into the several glass vials.

Severus noticed the disappointed look on the child's face.

“Why did you want to know?” he decided to ask, recalling the time Potter mentioned. He also recalled that Potter had been sound asleep, last time he had checked anyway, which had been right before he went to bed himself. “Did something happen? Another nightmare, perhaps?” Severus questioned, a little concerned and a little guilty. How could I have been so….

From the corner of his eye, the potions master noticed the boy hesitating before shaking his head in response as they capped the potion filled vials.

“Uh…I-no, I….”

Severus stood there, arms folded against his chest, his eyes narrowed warningly at his ward, knowing the child planned to lie to him.

“I didn't have any nightmares sir. Just….”

Before Potter could continue lying to Severus, Lucy popped into the lab, startling them both.

“Master Severus sir, young master Harry Potter sir, Lucy has lunch ready” the elf squeaked

Severus told the elf that they'd be up shortly. Lucy popped back out, leaving Severus to deal with the-boy-who-continues-lying-to-his-guardian.

*****

*Crunch!* *Crunch!*

Severus winced, from across the….

*Crunch!* *Crunch!*

…..the dining table. His ward sitting opposite him, happily eating his slices of apple that Lucy had sliced and put on top of Potter's bowl of porridge, Friday morning.

Trying his best to ignore the boy's loud eat, which, in Severus's opinion was a little too loud for his liking, the potions master picked up his mug of morning herbal tea, wincing again.

He sent the boy a glare. Praying to whoever was listening that Potter would….

*Crunch!* *Crunch!*

…..that Potter would hopefully understand his….

“Pott….Mr Potter, could you chew those slices of apple any louder than you already are!” he couldn't help but snap at the-boy-who-eats-too-loud.

Potter startled, his cheeks turned a shade of red.

"Uh, s-sorry sir," he gave a small nod of his head, telling Severus that he would try to eat quietly. Severus sent a warning glare to the boy,

He better.

Severus took a sip of his tea, taking in the calming herbal tea, which started to....

*Crunch!* Crunch!*

The potions master winced, as he placed the mug back down on the dining table. Instinctively, he bought a hand up to his forehead, massaging the left of his forehead.

*Crunch!* *Cru....

"If you will not eat that apple quietly, then I shall leave you to eat it while I go do some work!" Severus hissed, getting up from his chair, he picked up his herbal tea, carrying the steaming mug, he turned around and stalked out the room.

The rest of the day, apart from meals, Severus didn't see his ward until Potter was sitting in bed. Severus was glad that the twelve year old boy followed the rule of what time he was to be in bed, since that evening when Severus had told Potter the rules for his stay at the manor. Even when the boy had been feigning sleep, he had at least been sitting in bed. If Severus didn't know the boy, he would have said the boy was Slytherin, feigning sleep like that.

Like every night, Severus made sure to tell the boy a new story about Lily, until he fell sound asleep. Then he would go back downstairs to do some more work or go to bed himself.

Usually, people, when out in their gardens on hot summer's day would find it relaxing while hearing the nearby birds chirping and tweeting away, however, Severus did not.

A few chirps later, disturbing the peacefulness of his manor gardens, found Severus wanting to curse the wretched birds Saturday late morning. And since it was Lucy's fault that he was….

“Uh, sir?”

Severus snapped out of his thoughts, pausing in picking some nightshade.

“Yes Pott…(Potter flinched) Mr Potter?”

Potter showed the picked asphodel that was currently in his hand.

When he had decided to go collect some potions ingredients that morning, Severus had decided to invite the boy with him, realizing that Potter had not been out in the sunshine yet. As soon as the boy nodded in response and hurried upstairs to go and get some things from hi-the guest bedroom-surprisingly coming down with a drawing pad and drawing equipment. (Pencil, Pen, rubber & ruler) Severus showed the boy the way to the gardens, leading Potter over to a huge oak tree, where there was a couple of deck chairs, an outdoor table and chairs to sit at.

Leaving Potter there and going towards the greenhouses, where his mother, Eileen Snape, had planted many potions ingredients right by the two greenhouses. Severus had gone over to the Asphodel area, to pick them for the potion he had planned to make sometime soon, just as soon as he had all the ingredients, did Potter come up to him to ask what plants they were, genuinely showing an interest. Being a potions master, Severus was happy...proud, to show the boy the plant, and inform the child of it's uses in the wizarding world, bringing up the draught of the living death and the calming draught.

Potter being there had asked if he could help. Severus, not one to refuse teaching students about potions and hopefully find a student that has a genuine interest in the subject, decided that Potter could help. He told the boy what he wanted and how much, and instructed him to pick the asphodel, while he, Severus went over to the nightshade area and picked that plant.

“Is uh…is this enough, sir?”

Severus eyed the potions ingredient.

He was about to speak when, the blasted birds started chirping again.

Bloody pests!

Why can't they just be quiet for once?

“Sir?”

Severus turned back to face his ward. He looked down at the asphodel in the boy's hand. He gave a curt nod.

“Yes Mr Potter, that is enough. Well done,” he said, pleased with the boy.

Potter let a small smile appear on his face as he took out a glass potions container from his pocket, one that Severus had given to him to put the asphodel in. While Potter unscrewed the lid and placed the freshly picked asphodel, Severus went back to picking some more nightshade. When he had enough. A handful. He also took out another glass container, one from his worn brown leather satchel he had shouldered over his shoulders.

When they had the two ingredients separately contained, Severus took out his wand, banishing the container he held in his other hand, sending it to his potions lab. He called Potter over who was currently interested in the belladonna. A poisonous plant, used for potions. Mainly poisons. Those plants, he had been the one to plant, a few years before the Dark Lord's downfall, when he was the potions master for the Dark Lord, he would be requested to make potions. Poisonous potions for the Dark Lord's victims. Using the belladonna plant, sometimes he'd make an antidote to give to the victims and free them when he got the chance to.

Other times, he toughened up and accepted the victim's fate, knowing full well he couldn't do anything least he ruined his chances of spying for the light.

“Sir?” Harry asked, he watched the professor closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose. Having seen the man throughout the past few days look as if he's about to snap, Harry guessed that Snape must be trying to calm himself down.

He swallowed thickly, nervous at the thought of Snape losing his temper with him. There was no one here apart from him and Snape, and should something happen, he knew it would be just like the Dursleys all over again. No one would believe him. Not that I wouldn't believe myself either.

"Pott...." Harry flinched, "We don't have all day Mr Potter, we have a potion to brew!" Snape snapped, startling Harry. Now kindly do me the favor and finish your question!"

Sorely tempted to bite his bottom lip-out of habit-but he didn't, because, well, he didn't want to risk Snape snapping even more at him, Harry shakily nodded, and finished asking the professor what he had been intended to ask.

"Could I...." Harry sighed, not really sure how to word his question, nor was he sure how Snape was going to respond. The man has so far been very short with him throughout the week, he had even heard Snape yelling at Lucy a few times as well, mostly about some kind of potion, that Harry had no clue what it was or why Snape wanted it. I don't see why he can't just brew another batch instead? On top of that, Harry wondered why he had been excited to help Snape brew today, Monday afternoon, earlier on at lunchtime when Snape had asked if he'd be interested in assisting him with whatever potion they had yet to brew.

"Well boy, spit it out!" Harry flinched again, both at the tone and being called 'boy.' That was way too close to home for him.

Swallowing thickly again, Harry nervously asked the potions master if he could be the one to brew the potion. Seeing the potions master's face, he took a few steps back, so that he was closer to the door, just in case. However, Snape's words surprised him.

"I suppose, since you managed to brew the last potion well, you can brew this potion, while I prepare most of the ingredients Pott...Mr Potter,"

Assuming Snape was finished, Harry was about to ask the professor what they would be brewing. Turns out Snape wasn't done talking and just before Harry could get one word out, Snape beat him to it.

Snape’s tone changed to a low, warning hiss. One that Harry knew was a threatening one and should you do anything that the potions master warned you not to do….you better run screaming for the hills, "however, should you mess this potion up.....I will not hold back with snapping that broom of yours."

Harry made to protest, but one look at the professor's face, told him to just keep his mouth shut for now....or at least not argue back, unless he had a death wish. He slowly nodded his head in dejection. "Yes sir. I...I understand, sir"

*****

"Good, now, we have wasted enough time standing here and talking....go wash up Potter and then come assist with collecting the ingredients for the potion and bring them over here to this bench." Snape instructed in a tone he usually used in his classroom, when teaching. He indicated with his pointer finger to the workbench they'd be brewing at. "As you can see, the equipment is already over at the workbench. I shall go and collect the nightshade and two strands of unicorn hair, while you go and collect the asphodel and lavender, which should be over there in my ingredients cupboard.” Harry followed Snape's finger to a familiar looking steel cupboard door in the back right corner of the lab, over by the sink.

He nodded, about to go over to the sink and wash his hands, but he stopped in his tracks, turned to look at the professor who was not in the place where they had been standing moments ago.

Searching for the potions master, it didn't take long to find the professor. Harry bit his lip, seeing Snape over by the opposite workbench, collecting the other two potions ingredients from the old steel shelf, that was lined with many different glass jars and containers, with many types of potions ingredients in. Eyes focused back on Snape's back, Harry wondered whether or not to di….

“Potter!”

As if reading his thoughts Snape had turned round, spotting Harry standing there, not doing anything.

Startled, Harry glanced up at Snape. Wishing the ground would open up and swallow him hole. Two years of having the professor, Harry knows that Snape hates it when students slack off in class and not do what they’re meant to do. He swallowed thickly, knowing Snape's going to most likely kick him out of the lab, after yelling at him….hell, he probably knows now how much of a disgusting freak I am and send me back….

“Ye-yes sir?”

“Have you….washed your hands yet?”

Tempted to lie, saying that he had indeed washed his hands-and he very well would have if it wasn't for the fact that Snape had told him one of the rules was not to lie-along with the fact that Snape was currently looking at him with narrowed eyes, instead, Harry averted his eyes to the potions lab floor. He slowly shook his head in the negative.

“No sir,” he instinctively took a couple of steps back away from the man, seeing Snape's tense stature. He flinched, hearing the man sigh.

Looking up at the potions master, Harry flinched at the look on Snape's face. He was about to re-avert his eyes back to the ground, however, Snape just told him to go and wash his hands.

Confused that he wasn't being yelled at like he normally would have been in a potions lesson or at ho-or at Privet Drive, Harry couldn't help but want to ask why he wasn't being yelled at.

“Sir,”

Snape, as he made his way over to the potions cupboard, interrupted. No doubt, barely holding in his temper, which Harry felt was also odd. Never stopped him before.

“I think we have wasted enough time talking Potter, when we could probably be finished brewing this potion by now.” Snape said in an even tone. Before silently, with his wand, opened his potions storage cupboard and disappeared inside for a moment or two and coming back out, with two glass containers. One containing lavender, while the other contained asphodel.

As the potions master made his way back over to the designated workbench, he continued. “Go and wash your hands Potter. Later, when we have started brewing, if you don't mess up the potion that is, you can ask your question.”

Harry did as he was told.

Half way through the potion with Harry currently stirring, clockwise, did Harry decide to break the long, slow passing silence.

“Sir, wha-what potion are we uh making right now?” he asked, recalling Snape had not yet told him the name of the potion.

The potions master unexpectedly snorted. Harry flinched.

“That is correct Pott…Mr Potter, I didn't yet tell you the potion we're currently brewing….I thought it would be better if you guess, and I shall tell you whether or not you are right.” Snape said

Harry frowned in confusion at that. How am I meant to know what potion we're brewing? He looked a the colour of the potion in the cauldron.

Oh.

“Are we….”

“Potter!” Snape interrupted, Harry flinched, reminded of his uncle.

Why's there a smell of….oh bloody hell!

“Move!” Snape yelled, startling Harry, who was turning to look at Snape, just as he felt himself being yanked back, away from the cauldron.

Confused and wondering why Snape had yanked him back by the collar of his t-shirt, Harry turned his head so he could see the cauldron just as the potion inside exploded in seconds.

With Snape covering him with his upper body, unknowingly making Harry feel uncomfortable at the touch and closeness, Harry frowned once more in confusion when he saw bits of the potion, stopping just a few meters away from them, mid-air, as if there was some sort of….

“A shield…one, protects from being covered in any exploding potion experiment. One that I had managed to invent years ago, as a Hogwarts student….sixth year. I haven't used it for quite a long time. The last time was during my second year of teaching, 1982.” Snape explained, as he removed the shield and stepped away from Harry.

Harry felt relieved the minute Snape stepped away from him. Gone was the uncomfortable, sickening feeling that had been bubbling inside his stomach, that had made him want to vomit, something he was sure would have happened if Snape had held him any longer.

“How'd you….” Harry started to ask, but paused when he saw the professor over on the other side, busy, inspecting the remains of the potion inside the cauldron. “Sir?” he started, after a few moments of silence.

Curious. Harry, made his way over as well, joining the professor when he didn't receive any response from the man.

As if sensing he was close, Snape slowly turned round, a glare on his face. His eyes narrowed at Harry.

Harry swallowed thickly, his heart hammering so fast against his cheat, that he was sure his heart was going to explode like the potion had done a few minutes ago.

In a low tone, barely above a whisper, Snape said, “you, Potter….” He was now fully facing Harry, “you stirred the cauldron too many times,”

‘You're a freak boy! Everything will always be your fault'

“Sir, did I….” Harry paused, unsure of what to ask. He felt bad, knowing he had been the one to cause the potion to explode. If only I had….

Harry was jerked out of his thoughts when he felt himself being grabbed by the arm in a vice-like grip. He swallowed thickly, fearfully glancing up at the professor. Snape's onyx eyes continued glaring at him. Too caught up in the pain on his arm where Snape was currently holding him, Harry didn't hear Snape angrily hissing words at him.

"I told....-ou Potter....-w many –mes to....potion and you....-dn't listen,"

He heard some words the professor hissed at him, enough to know what the professor was trying to say.

‘my fault, my fault, my f….'

Suddenly feeling himself roughly jerked back, Harry looked up at Snape, just in time to see Snape's hand coming his direction.

Instinctively flinching back, Harry made to raise his arms up to protect his face. “Please don't uncle, I didn't meant to. I'm sorry,” he apologized, thinking he was back with the Dursleys.

His uncle's hand didn't come, nor did his raised angry voice come either. For what felt like forever, Harry continued standing there, his arms raised in front of his face.

“Out!”

Snape's unexpected deadly, quiet tone came through to Harry, causing him to flinch. Heart still hammering against his chest, he slowly lowered his arms, away from his eyes, so he could get a better look at what was happening and possibly his surr…..

“Get out!”

This time, Harry wasted no time in turning around and running for the potions lab exit. He hurriedly yanked the door open, ran out and never looked back as he ran up the stone steps. If he did, he would have seen the professor's look of anguish.
To be continued...
Chapter 11 Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Cold by RavenMooney
Author's Notes:
Snape meets Vernon Dursley
Shuddering as a cold breeze was felt brushing against his bare body, Harry startled awake, frowning in the pitch black room. He made to sit up, needing to grab his glasses from the bedside table, but he couldn't, everything ached, as if he had been hit by a bludger. Maybe he had.

A loud banging sound, startled Harry from his thoughts on how he had got himself here, when, as far as he could recall, he had been–

Dread creeping in, he tried to assess the room he was in, but, he couldn't tell where he was, due to the room being pitch black and the fact that he didn't have his glasses on, so, wherever he was, the room was blurry, but he had a feeling he wasn't in the guest bedroom at Snape manor anymore. Feelings of betrayal and feeling more like a freak entered his mind. He knew that whatever he was currently stuck lying on, didn't feel like clouds. No, it felt like...

Familiar loud, thunderous footsteps came running up the stairs, sounding a lot like an Elephant, but, Harry knew better, he knew who's footsteps they were and that caused his heart to hammer with fear against his chest. The familiar sound of keys being inserted into the several different locks that were on the other side of the door.

Harry flinched as the bedroom door banged open, he squinted when the hallway light shone through, past the whale sized body and into the tiny bedroom, and he froze in fear when he looked up and saw the familiar purple face. Uncle Vernon.

Remembering what had happened the last time when he saw his uncle this angry, Harry's fear escalated.

In that moment, he forgot about all the stuff his relatives ever said to him. He forgot about all the punishments he received for getting the authorities involved many times before-due to someone seeing bruises on him, or a teacher at primary school seeing how underfed he was or a neighbour hearing how his aunt and uncle treated him. Instead, all he focused on was the last hope he felt, hope that someone would hear him and come to his rescue as he let out a scream for help.

Only, that didn't work, his throat was sore, too sore to make enough noise.

Vernon Dursley switched on the bedroom light, smirking at a squinting Harry.

"No one will be able to hear you now, freak." He spat, already unbuckling his belt. "Not even those freaky friends of yours!" Vernon raised his belt, as soon as he was standing arm's length away from a terrified Harry, who was pushing the pain away so he could try and escape.

‘No, please uncle, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do anything freaky’ The Gryffindor wanted to say loud and clear to his uncle, clinging on to the last bit of hope, he ignored the tiny voice in his head that reminded him his uncle had never listened to him the previous times he was being punished.

As if reading his thoughts Vernon Dursley, yelled at him.

“What was that boy! Didn't mean to be a freak! Of course you always mean to, you've always been a freak!” Vernon spat the word freak.


*****

*POP*

The potions master flinched awake, frowning shortly when his eyes adjusted to the morning sun light, he wondered for only a moment as to why he was in Pott....in the guestroom where Potter usually slept and....

Memories from last night came flooding back to the forefront of his mind. He remembered the nightmare he had, Lily appearing in his sleep again, and he remembered Lily telling him that her son was also having a nightmare, but she and James couldn't seem to wake him up on their own-they had visited Potter in his dream before Lily came to visit him-and when he had tried himself, after waking up he also couldn't wake the boy up like usual, meaning he had to use legilimency on Lily's son.

A sickening feeling entered his stomach when he remembered the images he saw from Potter's nightmare last night.

Forget gift wrapping the muggle to my old Death Eater colleagues, I'll kill the beast myself.

More awake, Severus felt an unfamiliar, light, but heavy weight lying on top of him. he glanced down, noticing it was Potter's son. He frowned, about to move the boy away from him, to the other side of the bed, but then he paused, remembering something else from last night. Ah yes, to perform Legilimency on the sleeping boy, I had to be in close contact with him.

Tired, from the night before, Severus was about to go back to sleep, not caring for once if he was sharing a bed. For now, all he just wanted to do was close his eyes, however, it seemed, that wouldn't be happening.

“Master Severus sir,” Severus startled, unexpectedly hearing his house elf, he turned to look at the creature, who took a step back.

“Bloody hell, Lucy! You startled me!” he growled out.

His eyes went wide as he remembered the events of last night and he once again glanced at his ward, making sure Potter hadn't woken. Severus let out another relieved sigh, glad the boy was still asleep. Good, I didn't wake him up.

“Sorry master Severus sir, but Lucy,”

Severus shook his head, putting a hand up to silence his house elf. He looked at Lucy and just said in a quieter, warning tone, “just don't let it happen again.” He told her.

Lucy nodded, promising not to startle him again. At Severus's nod, she continued talking.

“Master Severus sir is needed down stairs sir,” Severus frowned, confused. Why am I needed downstairs.

Lucy, seeing Severus's confused look, explained.

“Headmaster Dumbledore sirs is in Master Severus’ sirs study...just arrived now.”

Severus let out a reluctant sigh. Knowing all he wanted to do was go back to bed, unfortunately, he couldn't keep Dumbledore waiting.

A smirk appeared shortly on his face when he realized that he would be having a serious talk with the headmaster, today.

“Tell the headmaster that I shall be down there shortly.” Severus said, again, in a quiet tone so as not to wake his sleeping ward.

Lucy nodded, asked if Severus wanted anything before she left. He thought about it, then shook his head.

“Just alert me if Potter should wake.” Severus, gently maneuvered Potter off of him, and once he was sure the boy was comfortable on the bed, he tucked the child in, then, just before he turned to leave the room, a traitorous hand of his, made its way to the boy's hair, brushing his fingers through the messy raven hair.

He pulled his hand back, remembering that he had a visitor to yell at...and probably hex into the next century.

Pausing in the study entrance, Severus held back a scowl when he saw the headmaster comfortably sitting there on one of the sofas as if everything was fine and....

“Severus, my boy, how are you?” the headmaster greeted, interrupted his thoughts.

Holding back from rolling his eyes, Severus responded sarcastically. “Just peachy, headmaster,” in a serious tone, he said, "now if that is all you're here for, then I suggest you leave, as I do not have the energy right now to have small talk.”

The headmaster had a look of concern on his face. Standing up, the headmaster made his way over to Severus who just continued standing there by the doorway, his arms crossed and his face, paler than usual.

“It's Albus, Severus. Now, come sit down,” the headmaster gently said, placing a gentle hand on the potions master's shoulders, who flinched at the touch.

“Don't touch me!” Severus scowled at his employer. Stepping back from the startled man. He couldn't help but hate the look of concern the headmaster was giving him.

I'm thirty three, not a child. He doesn't need to look at me like that!

Severus' mood softened a bit when he saw the headmaster still giving him a look of concern. An uncomfortable feeling of guilt for snapping at the headmaster bubbled in the pit of his stomach.

He sighed, “forgive me headmaster, but it's been a long....few weeks since I last saw you and I haven't been sleeping very well, recently. Due to....circumstances. I'm...just a little, snappish, that's all.”

“Oh dear, what is troubling you my boy?” Albus asked, as he guided Severus over to the sofas. This time Severus didn't flinch from him when he placed a supportive hand on the back his shoulders.

Severus shook his head. He didn't want anyone to know. It was a stupid reason, really. Well, that is what he's been telling himself for the past fourteen days.

“Did you want a drink headmaster?” he offered, changing the subject.

Albus shook his head in the negative as he took a seat himself, across from the younger wizard.

“Oh no, I'm fine. Thank you Severus, in fact, I won't be too long and I have a lovely mug of hot chocolate waiting for me back in my living quarters.” Albus declined, smiling. His blue eyes twinkling like stars.

“Then why are you here, headmaster? Is it about Mr Pott....Harr....Mr Pott....” Severus rolled his eyes. “Potter's relatives? Did you find his aunt by any chance? Wha....”

Albus shook his head, putting up a hand to silence the potions master. Gone was the twinkling eyes and the smile, replaced with a serious expression.

“No Severus, it isn't about Mr Potter's relatives....although, there is still no change. We cannot find Mrs Dursley or her son, nor can we have Mr Dursley arrested unless the boy decides to....”

Severus shook his head.

“No, it's too soon headmaster. The boy isn't yet ready. I'd rather wait awhile, than have the boy sitting in a courtroom full of strangers all discussing about his abuse and whether his uncle should be arrested or not. Especially if the boy has to be in the same room as his uncle.”

Besides, I'll handle the beast myself in the meantime.

*****

"I thought so, Severus. Now, the reason why am here, is, because there has been...." Albus sighed, glancing at Severus. "Did you see the news in the Daily propet, Severus? Concerning,"

"Black?" Severus raised a questioning eyebrow.

Albus nodded.

"Then yes I have. How could that happen, headmaster, Azkaban is one of the most secure wizarding prison throughout the entire wizarding world!" Severus hissed, unable to control himself.

Albus shook his head. ' Minister Fudge is trying to figure that out himself. While Sirius Black is on the loose, Severus, Harry must be..."

"Yes I know, headmaster. I've read that as well." Severus stood up, pacing back and forth across his study floor. "Black must be caught headmaster, I won't have him harming Lily's son. I'll kill the man myself if I have to."

Albus stood up, giving the potions master a serious, firm look. He knew how protective Severus got, over anyone he cares about, and though Severus hadn't seen the Potter boy for ten whole years, he had known that Severus, when Harry had come to Hogwarts, back in the boy's first year, he knew that Severus would protect the boy at all costs. In fact, Severus had fought tooth and nail with he and Minerva, when he found out they had decided to allow Harry to be the new Gryffindor seeker, claiming that it was too dangerous.

The potions master had lost that argument.

The next time Albus had seen Severus concerned for the boy was after the troll incident. Severus had went back up to Albus' office with him, and had paced holes in the floor, claiming that Minerva was even more senile that he, the headmaster was. Albus had to hide a chuckle at that.

After the boy's first Quidditch match, Severus had demanded he fire Quirrell, or get rid of the stone before Quirrell could get to it. Severus had been angry with him when he refused to do neither.

The bad temper that followed Severus when he was in a protective mode, was the reason why Albus had told a little white lie to the young wizard, at the end of Harry's first year and at the end of Harry's second year, with the philosopher's stone incident and the Chamber of secrets incident. He knew very well how the potions master would have reacted if he had told the man exactly what had happened. He was sure, Severus would have had his head for endangering Lily's son.

"If it comes down to that Severus, I will not let you. In fact, I will have Madam Pomfrey or your uncle, put you in a strong body bind should you try to kill Sirius Black yourself....Lily's son needs you, Severus, and...."

Severus snorted.

"Lily's son needs me? I highly doubt it headmaster, not after what I had almost done to the boy yesterday afternoon." The potions master spat, hating the fact that he had managed to lose control of his emotions to the point where, after one mistake the boy makes, he not only yells at the boy, but he raises a hand towards him, planning to hit the boy out of anger.

The headmaster furrowed his eyebrows.

"I'm sure you couldn't have done anything that...."

"Bad?" Severus interrupted. Glaring at the headmaster. "Tell me, Albus, what would you call, almost hitting the boy, then, if not bad?"
He saw the shocked look on his employer's face at that reveal. "Yes Albus, the boy makes one simple mistake yesterday, and I had nearly hit the boy!" He hissed, angry with himself.

"You nearly hit the boy Severus?" Albus questioned, eyebrows raised.

Severus narrowed his eyes at the headmaster, wondering just what was going through the Gryffindor's thick skull.

"Yes, Albus, I believe, I have just said that" he drawled, not at all liking the look on the older wizard's face. What is he up to?

"Though I am disappointed with your actions, Severus, however, I am also proud of you, and I am sure you uncle, will be proud of you as well...."

Severus wanted to interrupt but remained quiet.

"Yes, you over-reacted Severus, but you controlled yourself before you harmed the boy. That is more than the Dursleys had ever done, even Lily's sister, Petunia, from what Arabella Figg said."

"Figg? Arabella Figg? You let that blasted oblivious squib be near Potter, while I on the other hand, was kept in the dark for ten blasted years, which is when you decided to tell me where the boy lived!" Severus hissed, annoyed with the headmaster. " Not only that, but you didn't let me visit Lily's child,"

Albus sighed.

"I apologise Severus, really, I..."

"Enough! I don't want to hear it old man! What that monster did to Lily's son could have all been avoided if you had listened to me many years ago and placed the boy with..."

"With who Severus? Remus Lupin? He's a werewolf, as you've pointed out to me, the last time I was here. Sirius Black? He betrayed Lily and James, killed Peter Pettigrew along with thirteen muggles. You? You had the Dark mark, plus you are not a blood relative, that was the reason why I..."

"I was talking about Lily's cousins, Albus, the ones that would have been happy with caring for Potter."

"Cousins, Severus? You mean the ones that had moved to America not too long before Lily and James were killed?" The headmaster raised an eyebrow.

Severus nodded his head. Knowing that they would have taken much better care of Lily's son.

"Yes, Albus, they would have...."

"I am sure you are right Severus, they would have taken better care of Harry, but not only were they Lily's cousins, but, they were also dead, Severus. Lily's entire family, apart from her sister, were killed weeks before Lily and James were. The only reason why...."

Severus looked up at the headmaster, glaring daggers. He was sure, if looks could kill, the headmaster would have dropped dead by now. "Dead? Lily's cousins were...."

Breathe Severus....breathe.

In, out, in out.... that's it Severus, well done.

The potions master felt his hand twitch for his wand.

After putting up a one-way silencing charm on the door, Severus had his wand, aimed at the headmaster, who had his hands up in a placate manner.

"Severus, you don't want to...."

A flash of white shot out of the potions master's wand, hitting the headmaster, who had turned around, trying to protect his face and chest as much as possible, which meant that the hex had hit his back, which startled the headmaster, and he yelped out from the stinging hex.

"Come now Seve...." The headmaster was hit in the same place with the same hex again, yelping out once more. When he was sure that he wasn't going to be hexed or anything like that, Albus straightened himself up and turned to look at potions master with an apologetic look. "I didn't mean to. Surely you...can..." He tried again,

"I can what, headmaster? They're dead, Lily's cousins are dead!" Severus hissed, his anger aimed towards the headmaster, the man he had trusted for all these years. "You lied to me Albus!"

Albus shook his head, a look of regret clearly on his face. Severus was too hurt by the man to notice. "Out! Get out!"

"Seve...." The headmaster yelped again, retreating his hand, the one that had been hit by the stinging hex. One look at the potions master's face, told Albus that he should just leave. He sighed, nodding his head. "Very well, Severus, I shall leave." He turned around and headed for the floo.

Severus remained glaring at the headmaster, ignoring the older wizard's look when the man looked back before stepping into the grass green flames.

Once the headmaster had flooed back to his living quarters, Severus called for his house elf, asking her to keep an eye on the young Potter boy, and making sure he eats some food once he wakes. He then left through the front door of the manor, after telling Lucy that he was going out somewhere and possibly won't be back until lunchtime.

*****

Not long after Snape left the manor, Harry woke up, mostly due to his stomach growling. He sighed, not really in the mood for food, in fact, the thought of eating was making him want to vomit. Instead, he put his glasses on, climbed out of bed, grabbed some clothes from his trunk, then made his way to the bathroom, where he was going to have a shower.

About to lock the door, but remembering that he wasn't allowed to, he reluctantly sighed, and just started stripping.

While this happened, Lucy popped into the bathroom, about to ask the young master if he wanted any breakfast.

Startled, Harry jumped, grabbing the towel hanging from the towel rail until Harry got over hs scare and told Lucy that she was forgiven and that it was okay. He told her that she didn't know. Lucy balled up in tears and would have wept at the kindness Harry constantly showed her, if she didn't know how to control herself.

"Lucy be told from Master Severus sir that the young master Harry Potter sir is to eat breakfast as soon as he wakes." She told him, basically, her way of asking if Harry wanted breakfast right now.

Ignoring his stomach growling, Harry shook his head. "I'm uh, alright Lucy for now. I uh...was just about to have a shower actually. Maybe....maybe, afterwards" he told her.

Lucy was about to pop away but heard the young master's stomach growling. She crossed her arms, tapped her foot, and looked up at the young master with a glare.

If he was in any other situation, Harry would have laughed at how cute she looked, but knowing how she was with Snape, he didn’t want to get on the elf's bad side at all. He sighed, knowing he had to convince the elf that he was fine.

"I promise I'll eat after my shower Lucy. I just want to shower right now, I'm not yet in the mood to eat." He said in a serious tone.

Lucy looked him up and down with her tennis ball sized eyes, making Harry feel uncomfortable, to the point where his cheeks blushed red. "Fine, but you's are going to eat right after your shower and master Severus sirs does not want yous to be locking door or skipping any meals."

A strange, warm fuzzy feeling entered Harry's chest at hearing that Snape wanted him to not skip any meal or lock the bathroom door while he was showering. No adult, apart from Mrs Weasley and his primary school teacher, had made sure he ate something and no adult in all his life had told him that he wasn't allowed to have any doors locked, just in case he was going to hurt himself.

His relatives, always used to tell him that he should have died along with his parents.

He looked at Lucy, giving her a small nod. "Al-alright Lucy, and I promise I won't have the door locked while I'm showering. I know Snape still doesn't want me locking the door and after," he shook his head, shuddering at the memory of yesterday. He definitely didn't want to see that side of Snape ever again. "Never mind. You can be uh, sure that I won't be locking the bathroom door."

Lucy, after asking if Harry wanted anything else before she left, popped out of the room when he shook his head, dismissing her.

Harry let out a sigh as he put the towel back onto the towel rail, once he was sure Lucy wasn't going to come unexpectedly popping back into the room. He then continued to strip until he was bare, then jumped into the shower, after turning the water on.

After spending at least half an hour in the shower, the young Gryffindor stepped out, grabbed the pile of clean clothes from the floor and slipped them on, sighing with reluctance and wishing he could spend a little more time in the shower, but after previous times spent for more than half an hour in the shower, and Snape coming up to check on him, he didn't want that to happen again, so, he made sure to at least spend half an hour under the water.

The clothes he wore were still his baggy, hand-me-down clothes from his cousin Dudley, the clothes that Snape had bought tailor made for him, had yet to arrive. Though from what Snape said, that shouldn't be too long now.

His stomach continued growling in hunger, and Harry, knowing he couldn't put off breakfast any longer, made his way down. He had expected to see Snape, somewhere along the way with a glare and demanding a good excuse as to why he was late to breakfast, like the professor usually does on the days he sometimes arrives late to meals, the times when Snape's working in his study or his lab. On the other days, Snape usually comes and collects him and they both walk to whatever meal it was.

Not seeing Snape anywhere on the way down to breakfast, Harry expected to see the man sitting at the dining table with either a bowl or plate of whatever Lucy prepared for the potions master, however, when he arrived into the dining room, he noticed the room was quiet and empty for the first time. He frowned, wondering if Snape was still mad at him for what happened with the potion yesterday.

A sickening feeling entered his stomach just as Lucy popped into the room with a familiar bowl of porridge and a glass of water. The inside of his stomach churned, as he recalled the ni.... dream he had last night. He gulped, as he stared down unblinkingly at the porridge, wondering if the dream would actually happen, wondering if he was going to be told sometime today that he was to pack his 'freaky stuff' and be brought back to his relatives' home.

*****

Throughout the morning, after apologising to Lucy and telling her that he could not stomach the breakfast earlier, Harry, was to say the least, nervous and was constantly on his guard, waiting for Snape to pop out of nowhere and demand he leave the manor.

While he was outside on one of the deckchairs under the shaded oak tree, Harry sat there, sketching a new picture of Hedwig from memory. When he was finished, an hour later, he decided to leave his drawing stuff back in his trunk then walk round the garden. The least I am away from Snape, the better.

That lasted for quite some time, and Harry found some interesting looking plants as well as a lake at the back of the garden, something Harry had no desire to be anywhere near. When he had almost stumbled.... accidentally into the lake, due to not watching where he was going and too caught up in his fear of being sent back to the Dursleys anytime soon, Harry's heart rate increase in fear and panic, but as soon as he was far from the lake, he managed to get his heart rate back to normal.

Having had enough of the garden for one day, he decided that he was going to read. If this was going to be his last day here at the manor, then he wanted to make sure he got to read one last time in the library, knowing that once he was back at his relatives, he'd either be dead, and if he wasn't dead, then permanently locked in his cupboard under the stairs. He shuddered, not wanting to ever go back there again.

Before going up to the library, he went back up to the guestroom, to grab a book he was currently reading, The Hardy Boys: The secret of the old mill, by Franklin W. Dixon. Grabbing the book from the bedside table, Harry made his way up to the library.

Arriving in the library, Harry decided to choose a different spot to sit and read, out on the balcony, which was overlooking the back garden. Sitting on the Oxford rattan wicker two seater, in the calming, English summer breeze, Harry, leaned back into the comfortable, cushioned chair, opened up the book onto the page he had got up to, and then he started reading.

Soothed by the breeze, and the comfiness of the wicker chair, the Gryffindor boy slowly drifted off in to a restless sleep and didn't wake up until heard the sound of Lucy popping onto the balcony, startling him. The elf once again apologised. Harry supressed a sigh.

Lucy, after numerous apologies, told Harry that lunch will be ready in a minute.

The young Gryffindor nodded as he wiped the sleep out of his eyes. Slightly hungry, he told Lucy that he'd be down shortly. When she left, Harry made his way down from the library, bringing the book with him. He planned to leave it in the guestroom, later, he'd continue reading, possibly when it's time for bed.

With that in mind, Harry entered the familiar guestroom, wondering why Snape had not yet told him to leave the manor. Putting the book back down on the bedside table, then made his way down to lunch.

Once again, Snape wasn't in the dining room and nor did Harry bump into him on the way down. Eating a bit of his lunch, but like breakfast, he wasn't able to stomach much, so in the end, after a few spoonful's of soup later, he exited the room, and made his way back upstairs to the guestroom.

Instead of going up to the library or out on the grounds or exploring the manor, the Gryffindor decided to try and pack the only thing that was out of his trunk, like his Nimbus 2000 broomstick, so that he'd be ready for when Snape came and told him to leave the manor.

*****

Dressed in his usual wizarding attire, black robes and his swishing black cloak, Severus apparated into the hallway of #4 Privet Drive on the ground floor. Whipping his wand out, Severus glanced around the hallway, noticing how dusty the area had gotten. He shook his head, reminding himself that he wasn't here to rate muggle houses on their appearance. No, he was here for something else. He smirked, using his wand and using the spell,

"Homenum rev...."

A loud snore stopped Severus from finishing the spell. His smirk grew wider. The muggle is just in the living room.

Severus followed the snoring sound of the beast, his wand still out and on guard, ready to use. Entering through the living room entrance, Severus glared darkly at the sleeping beast, a list of spells all entering his mind, the ones he knew he could use on the muggle without being sent to Azkaban or getting kissed by the dementors.

Severus flicked his wand at the muggle and a white light came out, shooting at the man still fast asleep on the sofa, unaware of....

A moan escaped the muggle, who sat up so quickly that, the potions master was hoping he would hurt himself. Unfortunately, that did not happen.

"Wha-who the ruddy hell are you?" Asked the beefy muggle, wincing in pain as he stood up from the sofa. He frowned, his face growing purple.

"Good morning to you too, muggle" Severus drawled, standing there with his arms crossed, twirling his wand purposely in front of the beast who had dared to hurt Lily's son. He noticed for the first time, the man looked as if he hadn't slept in days, maybe weeks, his hair was a mess and his clothes were...Severus held his breath. The muggle's clothing was, smelly and covered in stains. The muggle himself, even smelled as if he hadn't washed in days.

If this was any other muggle, Severus might have felt pity, and then there was the strong smell of alcohol coming from the muggle's breath, reminding Severus what this man had done to Lily's son and he wasn't going to allow him to get away with any of it.

"You have no right, freak, no righ...." The beast stopped yelling as soon as Severus had his wand pointing towards the muggle.

"One word, muggle, and I swear to Merlin that you will not live to....to see the day ever again." Severus hissed, his blood boiling with anger. Images from what this beast had done to the boy back at home swirled round in his mind.

"Now, l-look here, fr....."

Severus sent another stinging hex at the man. One that was a lot harsher than the previous one. "What did I just say, beast!" He spat. Tempted to use the curse he had invented many years ago. "You, after what you did to Lily's son, beast, have no right to call any of us in the wizarding world, freaks. YOU are the freak, to us! Abusing a helpless child in every way you could possibly think of."

Releasing his temper on the muggle, Severus aimed his wand again at the whale sized muggle man and said the spell he hadn't said in a long time. "Sectumsempra."

Ignoring the muggle's sound of pain, ignoring the sound of the muggle begging for him to stop and to not kill him, Severus yelled at the man. "You dare to beg me to stop hurting you, you dare beg me not to kill you? When you of all people had never shown any mercy to Lily's son, the one you should have cared for along with your horrible wife? How dare you beg me to spare you, filthy muggle!" He spat, while repeating the spell, making sure to avoid certain areas, like around the muggle's heart. It wouldn't do to kill the man just yet.

Instead, he just continued slashing both the man's legs and arms, until the muggle was heavily wheezing. Severus however, didn't heal the muggle until a moment or two later, after deciding to let him suffer a little bit longer.

When he finally relented and healed the wounds from the spell, Severus had a few last things he would do with the muggle. Using legilimency, harshly, on the muggle, he sifted through the beast's mind, looking for certain memories. Memories of Potter's life growing up here, all from the beast's point of view. When he was finished, Severus felt his blood boiling again.

Deciding to use an old ancient spell, that has not been used for many years, Severus aimed his wand at the passed-out muggle. He revived him, then he explained the spell as he casted it on the man.

"Due to how you treated your nephew, Harry James Potter, muggle, after I have finished casting this spell on you, you will experience, every feeling, every bad memory, every horror, every pain the boy has had to experience while under your so called 'tender, loving care'" Severus started the spell, continuing to ignore the pleading look he was receiving from the muggle.

Several minutes later, Severus hissed the words for the spell, "servivit in catino optime frigoris vindicta" Once he finished the spell, Severus explained to the muggle that the spell won't end either unless he feels remorse for what he did or unless he gets arrested.

Shortly, after levitating the passed-out muggle into the cupboard, where he had found Lily's son, Severus had locked the cupboard door...it wouldn't do to have the beast escape before he gets arrested, although, Severus didn't doubt the muggle would rather stay in the safety of #4 Privet Drive, if he knew what was good for him. With a smirk, the potions master disapparated himself from the hallway back to Snape manor.
To be continued...
Chapter 12 The Unexpected Visitor by RavenMooney
Author's Notes:
Severus has an unexpected guest
Apparating on the front walk of Snape manor, Severus took his time walking up the garden path to the front entrance of his manor, so that he could cool down before meeting with Lucy or checking on Harr...Potter.

Once his anger that was aimed at Potter's muggle uncle, vanished, Severus finally entered through the front doors and into the foyer. His stomach grumbled at the scent of Lucy's cooking, letting him know that it must be lunch, or nearing lunch. Either one, Severus decided to go search for his ward, remembering that they were meant to pick up his owl from Hagrid.

Before he could, Lucy popped into the foyer. Telling him that she has his lunch ready and waiting for him. Severus was about to protest, but the damned house elf, told him off in a similar fashion his cousin, Colleen has done many times before. Sighing, Severus told Lucy that he shall be in the dining room shortly. He didn't waste any time, unless he wanted to get on the elf's bad side, again.

After lunch, Severus, had been a bit disappointed the boy hadn't shown up. Then, recalling that the boy was meant to eat all three meals, Severus scowled, stood up, and went out into the foyer to search for his ward. How dare that blasted boy miss a meal, less than a month after Poppy and I had told him he wasn't supposed to skip any. Severus halted in the foyer, realizing he had absolutely no idea where the boy was.

With that in mind, Severus decided to call Lucy, which would save some time of having to look for the boy in the manor. He knew, without a doubt that it would be, like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Lucy apparated shortly to the foyer, just before him.

Severus wasted no time asking the elf where his ward was, he also asked her if Potter had eaten any lunch, she nodded, then she told him the boy was probably upstairs in the library, reading. Thanking the elf, then dismissing her, Severus headed up to the library to look for his ward. Finding the room empty, along with the balcony, Severus sighed, thinking of where the boy would most likely go. He decided to try the boy's....to try the guestroom.

The door to the guestroom was open, unfortunately Potter wasn't there, he turned round, deciding to check outside, however, he had barely made it a few steps from the room when his eyes widened, recalling the state of the room. Spinning on his heels, his black robes billowing, the stoic potions master retreated back to the guestroom, stopping in the doorway. His stomach dropped.

Not only was Potter not in the room, but also the boy's trunk and broom.

Calm down Severus, breathe, I'm certain the boy hasn't gotten far.

If he has, Potter better pray I don't get my hands on him. Blasted child, I'll…..Severus, focus.

Whipping out his wand, Severus casted the two different spells. The first was, “homenum revelio” which told him that the foolish boy was still inside the manor. Thank Merlin for that.

The next was, “point me, Harry Potter” his wand spun, coming to a halt when he was facing the direction of the staircase that would lead him downstairs to the foyer.

Hoping he could catch the blasted boy before he did something he would surely regret, the potions master sprinted in the direction his wand pointed and as he neared the stairs, the temptation to wring the boy's neck grew.

“When I catch my hands on that blasted boy, I will have him scrubbing cauldrons until his grandchildren have grandchildren!” Severus hissed out loud to himself.

Reaching the staircase, Severus began his descent. Pausing halfway down the steps when he spots his foolish ward.

"Stop right there, Mr Potter." He silkily said to the boy. Canceling the tracking spell and instead, he points his wand at the front door, and flicks his wrist. The front door slams shut, before the boy could even step a foot out the doorway.

Potter jumps, turns to look at him with fear. Severus holds back a snort. He should be scared. Of all the idiot things he could do...

Breathe Severus, breathe.

Severus called for Lucy, to return the boy's trunk back up to the guest room. Lucy, with a glance towards Potter with sympathy, nods her head when she looks back up at the potions master. Lucy asks Snape and Harry if they want anything, before she leaves with Potter's trunk. Potter shakes his head.

"No th...actually, Lucy, I would like a steaming mug of chamomile tea, please." Severus glanced over at Potter, before continuing. "And a hot chocolate. Dismissed" He told the elf,

Lucy nodded, taking Potter's trunk then disapparated away with a pop.

Severus, motioned his head towards his study. "Come, Pott...Mr Potter, we will have a serious discussion in my study." Then I shall discuss your punishment. Severus added to himself, as he placed a firm guiding hand on the back of the boy's shoulders. Leading him towards his study.

With Potter, sitting nervously down, while the potions master paced back and forth across his study to calm himself down while he thought about the right words to say and how to say it, Severus stopped, swirled on his heels and looked at the boy with a scowl.

"Explain yourself!" He snapped at the boy.

Potter flinched. Severus refused to feel guilty. The boy should have thought about the consequences before trying to leave the safety of the manor, where there's a killer on the loose. Severus continued his pacing, as he was reminded of the escaped convict from Azkaban, he couldn't believe, the most high security wizarding prison in the wizarding world had managed to lose a criminal, and not just any criminal, a dangerous criminal, one that was...Severus stopped his pacing again. This time he closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths in then breathed out. When that didn't work, he started counting back from one hundred.

'One hundred…ninety-nine …ninety-eight
….ninety-seven…ninety-six....'

"I don't....I don't understand sir," Potter finally said, after a long silence.

Severus opened his eyes, looked down at Potter, who sat fearfully on the edge of the sofa, his eyes kept darting to the door. Severus almost took pity on the boy. Almost.

"What? What don't you understand, Pott...Mr Potter?" Severus questioned, harshly, the scowl back in place. "I caught you planning to leave the manor. The safety of this manor, Pott...Mr Potter, after having a scare when I saw that you were not in your....in the guestroom, and neither were your belongings. Now, kindly tell me, what was going through that Gryffindor brain of yours when you decided to leave the manor, your home for the summer?"

"I thought that after...." Potter started, pausing shortly afterwards, a confused frown appearing on his face. The boy looked back up at him, his emerald eyes laced with confusion. "My....home for the summer?"

Severus held back from rolling his eyes. "Yes Pott...Mr Potter, your home for the summer, until the headmaster and I have found a suitable permanent guardian for you." Severus frowned, "I thought I had told you that before."

Potter nodded, after a moment or two.

"You uh...did sir, but I uh, after yesterday with the whole incident with the potion, I uh kind of," the boy averted his eyes back down to his lap. "I thought that..."

"You thought that I would kick you out." Severus finished for the boy, his tone changed to a soft one.

The boy, without looking up at Severus, slowly nodded. "Yes sir."

"Foolish, foolish, absolutely foolish boy!" Severus couldn't help but harshly say. He continued his pacing.

Potter's eyes followed his every move. No doubt, judging by the boy's look, he was wondering what he, Severus would say as his punishment, or do even.

Severus' lips thinned, knowing scrubbing cauldrons wouldn't really be a good punishment for this situation. He sighed, stopping in his pace. Lily, what do I do?

As if answering him, the potions master thought back to what his own uncle; uncle Des had done when he, being a little older than the boy, had tried to leave, thinking he wasn't wanted anymore, his uncle hadn't punished him, no, the man had reassured him, told him that he was still wanted and even though he made mistakes or had the Dark mark, he would always be wanted.

Severus glanced down at the boy, thinking back to what had happened yesterday down in the lab. He knew the boy deserved an apology from him. But that would be later. Right now, he needed to let the boy know that, no matter how many mistakes he made, he wasn't going to be kicked out or sent back to his relatives' home.

Hesitating, Severus sat down on the sofa, next to the boy. This caused the boy to startle, shortly the boy looked up at him. Back to wearing a confused frown on his face.

"Po....Har...."

Lucy shortly popped in with two steaming mugs, she placed them both on the coffee table in front of the wizards. The hot chocolate in front of the young master, and the chamomile tea in front of the older master. She received a thank you from both wizards. Nodding, she asked the masters if they wanted anything else. They both shook their heads, with Severus telling her no thanks, then dismissing her. She disapparated back out of the room, knowing her two masters needed to talk.

Severus gently told Potter that he could drink some hot chocolate. The boy hesitantly nodded, taking the mug from the coffee table, flinching, as if expecting to get hit. Severus felt sorely tempted to go back and torture the muggle some more. However, he did not. Instead, he continued with what he was going to say, using a gentle tone.

"I understand why you were leaving Harry, but that is not a good way to go about it. The world is a dangerous place out there, and you deciding to leave this manor, thinking I would kick you out, which I certainly wasn't,"

Harry couldn't help but frown. I had messed up. I had been a freak. He remembered the amount of times when he would always end up doing freaky stuff, his relatives would always end up threatening him that the next time he messes up and does something freaky, he'd be out on the street.

"But I messed up the potion, causing an explosion. Y-you were angry, so angry sir, I shoulda been...."

Snape interrupted, his tone firm, but gentle. "It was a mistake, Mr Potter....the potion exploding was a mistake. You didn't mean to cause an explosion, unlike your second year when you threw that Weasley firecracker into a cauldron,"

Holding back a gasp, Harry dropped his mouth in shock, and fear. I'm dead.

"How'd you..."

The potions master shook his head in the negative. "I have my ways." Snape said, then changed the conversation back to the one they had been having a moment ago. "Now, the way I had acted yesterday after the potion exploded, I....shouldn't have reacted like that towards you, I shouldn't have raised my hand, when I had told you that I wouldn't hit you, and for that I am....I am sorry Mr Potter, and I...."

*****

Harry sat there, shocked at hearing the potions master apologize. Then he was confused again. Sorry? Why was Snape sorry? It should be...

"Sir, why are you sorry? I should be the one apologizing, I exploded the potion. I,"

'I'm a freak, a burden.'

"Uncle Vernon said that freaks are always...."

The look that Snape gave him caused him to flinch. "Don't you even think about finishing that sentence, Pott...Mr Potter."

Harry, though confused, knew well enough not to cross that tone of Snape's. "Sorr-sorry sir" he just said, apologizing for the potion he had exploded yesterday. He took another sip of the hot chocolate, feeling comforted by the drink. From the corner of his eye, he saw Snape, sipping his tea, before looking at him and saying,

"Though I have already said, Mr Potter, that it was a mistake and that you do not need to apologize.... apology accepted,"

The two wizards continued sitting there for some time, drinking the drinks. It wasn't until Snape broke the silence, asking Harry about his nightmare last night. Harry put the mug back down on the coffee table and drew his knees up to his chest. He wrapped his arms tightly around his legs, and just stared unblinkingly at the opposite wall, shaking at the reminder of his previous dream.

He swallowed thickly, remembering how real his dream had felt. How real the image his uncle had felt, how real the punishments for being a freak had felt.

"Pott...Mr Pott...." He shook. The last time his uncle had called him Potter, that had been when.... "Harry," Snape's unexpected gentle tone called, relaxing Harry just a little. "Tell me about your nig.... your dream, Harry."

Harry shook his head, not wanting to talk about it. As he sat there, Harry remembered that Snape had said they could go and pick up Hedwig today. He turned, and looked at the man, unknowingly looking at him with pleading emerald eyes.

"Sir, you uh...you said that we could uh pick up my owl, Hedwig....today. Could we..."

Snape nodded,

Harry was about to jump up from the sofa, but the professor stopped him with a gentle hand. He flinched at the unexpected touch.

Confused, he looked at the man. "Sir?"

"We shall go pick up your Owl today Mr Potter, but not right now." Harry made to protest, but stopped short when the potions master shot him a warning glare. The man's face softened, "did your....did your relatives ever...."

Harry frowned, unsure of what the man was going to ask. Nervous, he drew his knees back up to his chest again and once again he had his arms tightly wrapped around his legs as he waited for the potions master to finish his question. Shaking at the thought of his dream.

"…..restrain you in that fashion, Pott...Mr Pott...Harry?" Snape finished asking,

Harry shook his head without hesitation.

"N-no sir, never."

Snape eyed him. "Are you sure?"

The young Gryffindor nodded, positive that his relatives never restrained him like what happened in that dream of his.

"Did they.... threaten to do that to you?"

Harry bit his lip. There was a very vague memory at the back of his mind, that he didn't know if it was true or not. But, while he had been finishing his chores. He remembered seeing his aunt and uncle watching some type of horror movie. Dudley was sleeping over at a friend's house.


He shuddered at the memory of the scene from the film he had seen them watch, while cleaning the dining table. He had trouble sleeping for a week after that one scene.



"No sir, they never threatened to do that to me." He told Snape.



Snape gave him a look. "Are you...."



The sound of someone flooing in at that moment, startled the two wizards on the sofa. Harry, seeing a strange man appear, flinched.

Beside him, Snape stood up, wand out in a flash, the professor was no longer anywhere near the sofa, no, he was now by the man that had entered. Harry saw that the professor had his wand pointing at the strange old man, who looked to be about McGonagall's age.

"Come now Severus, are ye really going to kill your own uncle?" The stranger asked in a tone that sounded hurt.

Harry looked at the stranger, that stood there smirking while Snape had his wand trained dangerously on him. Harry had never seen the man duel, the dueling club last year with Lockhart didn't count, but he was sure that Snape must be good at dueling if need be.

"If you are really my uncle," Harry heard Snape say in a silky tone. "Then tell me 'uncle,' what did my mother call you?"

The stranger smirked. "Looks like I have trained ye well, Severus. Eileen, used to call me Dessy. She couldn't pronounce my full name, Desmond."

Harry watched with uncertainty from his spot on the sofa as Snape slowly lowered his wand. Harry frowned, confused as to why the professor pulled the stranger, that says he's Snape's uncle, into an embrace.

"Uncle Des," Harry heard Snape say.

From his spot in the room, Harry could see the features on Snape's uncle and he did kind of look like the professor. Hooked nose, though smaller than Snape's, thin lips and a similar smirk. The only difference was the eyes, Snape's uncle had blue eyes, while Snape had onyx eyes. Snape's uncle, compared to Snape was paler in comparison and he had grey hair with ink black streaks, in a crew cut hair. He also had a beard.

"Severus, it's good to see you son. How are ye? Albus told me today what happened when I joined him for some hot chocolate."

Snape snorted.

"It's no wonder the two of you are such great friends, uncle....you're practically twins separated at birth."

Harry raised an eyebrow. So, Snape's uncle is good friends with Dumbledore?

A familiar hoot, caught Harry off guard. Confused, Harry looked around the room in the direction of the hoot. Snape had parted away from his uncle, and Harry saw her. Tears welled up again in his eyes.

"Hedwig!"

Severus, who had stepped back after hearing the hoot, which had caught him by surprise, just noticed that his uncle was carrying Potter's owl in her cage. He took a few steps back, folded his arms and raised an eyebrow at his uncle, just as Potter came over to them. Potter stopped short, and though he had stopped right in front of Severus, the potions master sensed his ward's fear.

He placed a calming hand atop of one of the boy's shoulders. Ignoring the flinch, he comfortingly squeezed the shoulder. "It is alright Mr Potter. This is my uncle Des, my cousin, Colleen's father. You remember, Colleen Beaumont, don't you Mr Potter?" Potter nodded his head after a moment's hesitation. "Good, then rest assured Mr Potter, my uncle will not hurt you...or your bird. And if he did, I would not allow him to come anywhere near you Mr Potter. Family or not." Severus explained, letting the boy know that he meant it. If any of his family members, whether that was his uncle, or Colleen or his cousins in Ireland, tried to hurt the boy, he would not hesitate to hex them into next week.

Severus felt the boy relax. "Now, why don't you bring your bird upstairs to your...to the guestroom Mr Potter." He told the boy, giving him a gentle push towards his snowy owl. Potter, glancing back at him, then glanced back at the owl still in her cage, nodded and went over to uncle Des, who greeted him with a warm smile.

"Afternoon Mr Potter, how are ye?" Uncle Des greeted in a soft tone.

Severus was just about to admonish the boy for being rude, but the boy quietly responded, " 'lo sir, thanks for uh, bringing Hedwig"

"No problem son...Hedwig's an amazing owl, ye know." Uncle Des said,

From where he was standing, Severus noticed the boy giving a small uncertain smile in response.

"I know sir" Potter said, giving a small nod.

Severus stood there for a minute or two, maybe more, listening to his uncle doing his best to talk to Potter. Eventually, the potions master, wanting to talk to his uncle in private, managed to convince the boy to take his bird up to the guestroom. Once the boy left the study, Severus turned to face his uncle again. He offered the older wizard a seat. When his uncle sat on the sofa, Severus joined him, ordering two mugs. Another chamomile tea for him, and a cup of coffee for his uncle.

Lucy arrived shortly with their drinks and then left after being dismissed by Severus, who then focused his attention on his uncle.

"So, uncle....how long will you be staying and what is your reason for this time?" Severus suspiciously questioned, though he loved his uncle deeply, and sure the man always visited him as often as he could, Severus knew his uncle never came without a good reason.

The potions master sat there listening to his uncle explaining why he came. By the end of his explanation, Severus was sorely tempted to floo right over to the headmaster's quarters and hex the man into next century for daring to tell his uncle his business. It was his life, not the headmaster's, and unfortunately, the man has yet to learn that.

*****

Nor did the headmaster know that he was a thirty three year old man, not a five year old boy that needed to be coddled every time something happens.

Severus sighed, he was glad that his uncle would be staying here for the week. It's been a long while since he brewed with his uncle. Perhaps they could find some time to do so.

The first half of the week went as well as can be.

For the first two days. Potter avoided Severus's uncle like a plague, but when he was in the same room as them, say the dining room for all three meals, the boy, instead of sitting in his usual seat at the dining table, sat closer to the potions master.

Tuesday evening, the boy had a nightmare, and Severus, this time, was able to bring the boy out of it. Severus, when Potter was calm enough, asked him what his nightmare had been about. The boy bit his bottom lip, hesitating, before shaking his head in the negative.

Severus noticed a flicker of fear in the boy's eyes. He turned to look in the direction of his gaze, only to see his uncle, coming to stand in the doorway.

"Severus, is everything fine."

The potions master nodded, knowing why his uncle had appeared. He was grateful the man was there, but this was not the time. So instead he gave a curt nod in response to the older wizard.

"Yes uncle, everything is fine...." He paused, glancing back at his ward before looking at his uncle again. "Pott...Harry just had a dream, is all. You may go back to bed uncle."

"Are ye sure, Severus?"

Severus nodded,

"Well okay, I'll see you in the morning." Uncle Des made to go back to the guestroom he was currently occupying for the week.

Severus about to turn back to focus his attention back on his ward, instead, he was interrupted again, by his uncle.

"Let me know if ye need anything Severus, won't ye?" Uncle Des asked,

Severus nodded, "yes uncle, but we really are fine."

The potions master turned back to look at his ward, taking a seat in the armchair as he did. He asked the boy again what his nightmare was about, after reassuring the boy that he was safe around uncle Des. Potter, with a shaky breath eventually told him a little bit about his nightmare, before closing in on himself. In return, like the many nights before, Severus told the boy another short story about Lily, during their time as students at Hogwarts.

Heavy rain continued to pour down from the sky, and with nothing to brew for now, Severus asked the boy if he wanted to play a game of chess right after breakfast. The boy, hesitantly nodded. Severus found himself giving the boy a small reassuring smile, then he turned to ask his uncle if he wanted to join them for a game of chess.

"You do remember who taught you to play, don't ye son?"

Severus smirked, responding to his uncle, with a nod. "Of course I do...I believe it was my colleague, Minerva McGonagall."

From two seats beside him, Severus heard a small gasp of surprise. Both older wizards turned to look at the boy who quickly ducked his head, apologising. Severus, without thinking, placed a hand on the boy's shoulder, squeezing it gently.

"You did nothing wrong Mr Potter, therefore you shouldn't be apologizing." He firmly said,

The boy blushed, before nodding. Then asked, "McGon...." At Severus's warning look, Potter corrected himself. "Sorry sir....but, uh, professor McGonagall taught you to uh, play chess?" The boy asked,

Severus' smirk returned, from seeing his uncle's look. Responding to his ward, he gave a curt nod. "You do remember the giant wizarding chess set she had transfigured back in your first year, don't you, Mr Potter?" Potter nodded, "then yes, of course she...."

"Give it a rest, will ye Severus." Uncle Des cut in. He then turned his blue eyes onto Potter who ended up flinching. Severus, with his traitorous hand that had remained on the boy's shoulder, he gave the same shoulder another reassuring squeeze. "It was I that taught him, as well as McGonagall, how to play chess."

Potter looked back and forth between both wizards with an uncertain look.

In the living room where they were playing chess. So far, it was Severus against his ward, Potter, while his uncle sat there watching the game.

“Uh, Knight to….hm, G5.” The boy instructed his chess piece.

The white knight was just about to move, but,

“No son not there…he'll take your knight if ye do that move.” Severus shot a mild glare at his uncle. This was...well he didn't know how many times it was, but it was certainly more than once, that his uncle had given the boy another helpful tip.

“Thanks sir” the boy said, giving a small smile to the old wizard.

“Sir? Who the hell….”

“Language uncle” Severus admonished, shooting him another glare. “Not in front of my ward.”

This received a shocked look from Potter, who soon looked as if he wanted to protest, but didn't. Along with that, Severus also received a glare back from his uncle.

“Shut up Severus. You've said worse than that around me.” The potions master rolled his eyes. Here we go again.

“Besides, I’m you're uncle. Not one of your students….or in this case, ward. Anyway, Harry here will be thirteen soon, I've heard kids his age say worse than that.”

Severus sighed, giving his uncle an incredulous look.

“Be that as it may uncle, I do not want to have to give…..my ward here a punishment after telling him that he's not to use such language.”

Des raised an eyebrow. Never once had he given any of his kids a punishment for bad language. He would just tell them off and that was it. “Punishment? What kind of punishment would you….”

It wasn't Severus that answered.

“Mouth washing, sir” the boy quietly said

“Mouth washing?” Des rolled his eyes knowing Severus had got that idea from Eileen, who had been rather tough on her son.

“Yes uncle, mouth washing.” Severus smirked looking at his uncle. “I am sure you remember the foul taste it gave when Grandmother Prince gave you a mouth washing after such foul language….”

Des glared at his nephew, knowing just what the young wizard was going to say.

“….in front of myself and my cousins when we were small children?”

The Potter boy looked stunned. He looked up at Des, “You got a mouth washing when you were an adult sir?”

Des sighed, nodding his head. his cheeks blushed red, that's his most embarrassing moment ever, after Potter's next question, though, he couldn't help but smirk back at his nephew who was giving him a warning glare.

“Yeah, I might've said fe…”

“I am sure you and Grandmother Prince's mouth washing recipe uncle, have much to catch up on. Wouldn't you agree?”

“What the….I mean, you…I….you can't give me a mouth washing Sev, I'm your uncle.”

“Then start acting like it. Now, can we get back to the game, these chess pieces are getting bored.” he motioned to the chess pieces who were fidgeting about on their current squares, huffing and well, getting a little impatient at not being told to do something.

By the end of the forth game, Severus scowled. Not able to believe he had managed to lose….four times in a row against his own ward.

Severus’ scowl disappeared, when he saw how happy the boy looked, and instead his lip twitched upwards. The boy has been improving with chess.

“Well done, Mr Potter. You have managed to do what none of my Slytherins have yet been able to do when they play a game of chess against me,”

The boy shot him a shocked look. Severus couldn't tell what the boy was shocked about.

“thank you sir,” the boy said giving him an uncertain smile.

Severus inclined his head.

“You play chess with your students?” Potter finally asked the question that had no doubt been playing in the boy's mind.

Severus nodded, "yes, and I have not yet played against anyone who has managed to beat me. You are the first...whether it was with the help of my uncle, your chess skills, I have noticed, have certainly improved."

The next day with two well rested young wizards who had taken a doze of dreamless sleep the night before, were in a good mood.

Severus, though he wanted to do something more productive, had a potion to brew, due to be delivered to a client of his by the end of the next day. So, Severus decided he was going to brew. Asking his uncle if he wanted to help, and not surprised the man said yes. A Prince by blood tended to be lovers of potions. Severus mused, before turning to ask his ward what he was going to do. Potter mentioned that he was going to go outside and draw.

The potions master had a thoughtful look on his face, before suggesting to the boy that he may join them down in his lab later on in the morning if he gets bored or if he gets lonely and wants someone to talk to, since they'll be down there most of the morning. He had said that there's a chaise lounge and a small side table where the boy could sit and draw or read or just relax if he wanted to.

Potter, nodded after a few moments of silence. Followed by, "Okay sir, I'll uh...think about it"

A few hours later, that's where all three wizards were. Severus and his uncle were brewing the requested potion while Potter was sitting in the chaise lounge at the far end of the potions lab, sketching, away from the bench Severus and his uncle were working at, just in case the two older wizards managed to cause the potion to explode.

Des, who had finished his part of the potion went over to see what his nephew's ward was sketching, and since this was his first time seeing the boy's drawings, he gasped in shock, never seen anything like it before.

"That is a really good sketch you've done of us, Harry" Des complimented,

The boy startled, looking up at him.

"Sir?"

"Call me Des, son. I am neither me nephew, nor am I your professor." He told the young Gryffindor. He had been meaning to tell the boy that earlier, but they had all been distracted with other things.

"Des?"

Des nodded, "yea, it's short for Desmond."

*****

Des stood there watching the boy finish the sketch. Still amazed at the talent the boy had, the older wizard asked if he could have a look.

"Uh....o-okay sir...I mean," Harry's cheeks blushed red.

Des shook his head, and like usually does with his grandkids, he automatically reached out and ruffled the boy's hair in a grandfatherly way.

"That's alright son, you'll get used to it." He gently told the boy,

Gently taking the offered sketch pad from the boy's hand and, using both his hands, he looked at the sketch the boy had obviously just done down here. He looked at all the details and work the boy had put into the sketch.

"Sev," he called to his nephew, who was carefully pouring the potion equally into several glass vials. "Did you see this ward of yours drawings....they're,"

"Yes, uncle I have, and I have to agree, they are rather good." Severus said, coming over, once he had stocked the vials of the potion into his potions cupboard.

Severus shortly joined them.

Des showed him the sketch when he noticed his nephew had stopped not too far from them. His nephew took the pad from him and studied the drawing.

"My uncle is right Mr Potter, this is a brilliant sketch of yours...like your other ones." Des watched the boy duck his head, blushing more.

"Thank you sirs" Harry nervously said. Sounding very much like a house elf.

Des was just about to remind the boy, but his nephew, who he noticed had winced, interrupted.

"Severus"

Des looked at his nephew, shooting him an encouraging smile. He glanced down at the boy still sitting on the chaise lounge, who had a confused frown.

“Sir?”

Severus awkwardly cleared his throat.

“Severus. Call me Severus….but only outside of class, otherwise I'll take points from Gryffindor and it'll be a detention added to that as well…Pott…Mr Pott…Harry,”

A small, uncertain smile appeared on Harry's face.

Des, was about to ask the boy something, noticing how well kept the sketch book was, but the boy spoke.

“Severus.” Harry tried the name out. He frowned. “Where does the name come from sir….Severus?” the boy asked, ducking his head, nervously,

Des noticed. He had yet to ask his nephew why he had the young orphaned Potter boy as his ward for the summer, Albus had virtually told him nothing. Just said that he should stay with his nephew for awhile, maybe see if he can help him out with anything. Since his sister died, back when Severus had been fourteen, or nearing fourteen, Des had, had his nephew in his custody up until he had finished Hogwarts and got a job, and having not seen his nephew for a while now, Des took up Albus' suggestion, but decided to just stay until the week ended, so as not to impose on his nephew.

When Albus had told him what Severus had told him during their last talk with each other, he had been shocked that Severus had nearly hit a child in his care, knowing full well that his nephew would rather Avada Kedavra himself than hurt a child. Another reason why he decided to take up Albus' suggestion and stay with his nephew for awhile. Perhaps he could convince the young wizard to wind down and relax.

“It is an ancient Roman name, meaning stern/severe. There were a few Roman emperors with the name Severus as their name. Septimus Severus, for instance or Severus Caracalla, were both Roman emperors.”

After some silence, Harry finally said, “it suits you, sir….I mean, Severus. Your name, it suits you. Every school needs at least one severe teacher who threatens to use students for potions.” the boy cheekily finished

Des snorted, having heard from his own grandson, Emmet, how strict Severus was when teaching. In fact, the man was strict even when not teaching. From what Emmet had told him, Severus is the only Hogwarts professor to give him and his friends more than one detention if caught by the young wizard dressed in black.

“Cheeky brat.” Severus lightheartedly said, a scowl on his face.

Harry ducked his head, expecting to be hit. The smile disappeared.

Des decided to ask the boy about his sketch book.

“Where'd you get it Harry?” Des said, as Severus handed the boy back his sketch pad, then went to clean up the potions equipment that they had used to brew. “It seems to be in very good condition. Is it new, by any chance or….”

The young Gryffindor shook his head.

“No sir, it's not new….it was a birthday present my cousin Dudley received two years ago….he didn't want it so aunt Petunia put it in the bin….I uh, well, when they had uh, all gone to get ready to go to the zoo, I saved it and hid it in my cupboard under the stairs,” Harry gasped, turning to look up at him and Severus with a look, that Des was certain was hope and fear.

“Your cupboard Mr Potter?” Severus asked, stopping what he was doing, the thirty-three year old wizard turned to look at Harry, who had averted his eyes to the ground at this point.

Des was also curious, but not knowing much about the boy's home life, he thought that maybe it was just a harmless thing…a play cupboard or something like that. But, from the look on his nephew's face, he gathered he was most likely wrong.

“This wouldn't happen to be the same cupboard under the stairs I had found you in, would it, Mr Potter?” Severus asked silkily,

Des knew that tone. His brother-in-law, Tobias Snape had used that same tone with Severus and Eileen, when he was in one of his abusive moods and would use it when he was suspicious of them. However, Severus tended to use it for catching people out, and finding out the answers he wanted/needed to find out.

“Yes sir, it was my uh room up until I got my Hogwarts letters, summer before first year.” Harry answered, falling into Severus' trap.

“Letters?” Des asked, frowning, confused. “I thought they only send one letter to every student.”

The boy shrugged his shoulders.

“Well, my relatives kept stopping me from opening mine, even going so far as to…”

“Go on” Severus pushed, joining them once more.

“-to-to locking me in Dudley's second bedroom for at least a day, while they-” Harry, revealed.

“They did what?!"

Both Des and Harry jumped in surprise when they heard Severus' unexpected raised voice. The two turned round in time to see the potions master stalking out the potions lab, banging the potions lab open with a flick of his wand.
To be continued...
Chapter 13 Gifts by RavenMooney
Friday July 30th 1993,

11:45pm,

Harry was currently sitting up in bed, the covers up to his chest, as he sat there in the dim lit room, waiting for midnight to come about.

As he sat there silently, gazing down at the pocket watch in his hand, he recalled his previous birthdays. July 31st 1980, was his birthday. Something he didn't know about until he was at least five, when his old babysitter, Mrs Figg was babysitting him while the Dursleys had gone away for awhile.

She had asked him what he wanted for his birthday, and that's when he accidentally told her that freaks like him don't have birthdays. She told him that he wasn't a freak and when it was the day of his birthday, she had treated him to a day out in London and bought him an ice-cream. That was the first and last time Harry in a sense, celebrated his birthday. The Dursleys hadn't been happy about that at all and had another neighbour, Miss Smith, a kind old lady, babysitting him, but after learning that she had treated him a whole lot ‘worse' than Mrs Figg, they ended up having Mrs Figg babysitting him again. Since then, Mrs Figg never treated him like she had done just that one time.

Two years ago Hagrid had come to hand deliver his Hogwarts acceptance letter-after his aunt and uncle had tried their best for many weeks to stop him from finding out about Hogwarts and his heritage-Hagrid had been the first to tell him about his parents (the truth) and what happened to them and how they died. Hagrid had also taken him to Diagon Alley and had bought Hedwig, his owl, for him.

At the thought of his owl, Harry bit his bottom lip nervously, as he glanced over to her usual spot in this room since Snape's uncle had bought her over. Atop of the chest of drawers, was where she usually perched, preening herself or when she's sleeping or just relaxing and enjoying the breeze without leaving the room. Her empty, opened owl cage was placed on the floor, beside his trunk and broom.

He sighed, wondering where she was. She had left sometime yesterday and has yet to come back. He glanced outside through the open bedroom window, and though it was quite cold, he refused to close the window, not until Hedwig returned. If she returns.

A loud snore startled him out of his thoughts, Harry turned to look at Snape who was fast asleep, slumped against the armchair. Harry wondered whether to wake the professor or not. He didn't want to risk getting hexed or worse, killed by the man, just because he disturbed Snape's sleep. He sighed, wondering why Snape had decided to sit and wait there until midnight.

The Gryffindor boy sighed, remembering at the time early on. Nine O'clock when Snape came in, followed by his uncle, to offer to tell him a story of Lily. Harry, for the first time since Snape offered to tell him a story about his mother, Lily, had shook his head in the negative. This had caused both older wizards to exchange confused looks with each other.

When Snape had asked why, Harry told him that he wasn't going to bed early tonight. At both wizards confused looks, Harry explained to them that it was a yearly tradition for him to stay up until midnight every year on his birthday.

Snape had looked like he wanted to tell him to go to bed again, but his uncle had interrupted, managing to convince Snape to let him stay up late, just this once. Harry had shot the older man a grateful smile. Snape, after convincing his uncle to go to bed himself, had come further into the room, sitting down in his usual armchair. The very same one that the professor had been occupying every time when Harry was on bed rest.

During the day, when Snape wasn't busy brewing, he'd be sitting there, teaching him how to play chess and some muggle card games, during the evenings, he usually offered to tell him stories of his mother, which Harry had gladly accepted, having never heard of any stories about his mother up until recently.

Earlier on in the evening, Harry had tried to convince Snape to leave him alone. Oddly enough, the man had shook his head in the negative, telling him that he shall sit there until midnight. When he took a seat, after several awkward minutes of silence, Harry had asked the professor how they were going to know when it was midnight.

Snape mentioned the Tempus charm.

At first that went well, but up until...what seemed like ages ago, Snape had fallen asleep, leaving Harry to sit there in bed, wondering what the time was, every now and then. Harry yawned, lifting a hand up to rub his sore eyes.

In the dim lit room, the young Gryffindor, drifted off to sleep, lulled by the calm, summer cool breeze coming through the open window and the sounds of snoring that told him, for the first time in years that he wasn't alone.

*Hoo, Hoo, Hoo*

The soft, yet loud hooting sound coming from outside startled both wizards awake from their slumber.

Severus, in a flash, was out of his armchair, up on his feet and his wand whipped out and pointed at the blasted thing that had dared to disturb his rest. He frowned, seeing three different owls flying towards the open window, all carrying different sized packages. Recognizing all three owls immediately as they came flying into the room. The first being, Harr….Potter's snowy owl.

“Hedwig,” Harr…Potter said, climbing out of bed and making to run to greet his bird and would have touched the unknown packaging, if Severus wasn't there and if he, Severus, didn't pull his ward behind him, with his wand held out, ready to cast a spell to make sure each package was safe.

The owl in the middle, (the familiar Great grey owl) that looked ready to pass out and was being held up by the other two owls, Severus knew the bird belonged to the Weasley family. Remembering seeing the owl a numerous of times delivering packages and letters to all seven Weasley children. No other owl, he has seen pass out after delivering stuff, and at exactly the minute all three birds flew past him and Harr….Potter, and landing atop of the bed.

“Wait here Har…Pott…Mr Potter,” Severus started, fixing his ward with a warning glare. “I am going to use a spell on each package these birds are carrying to….make sure they are safe enough to open”

“But—”

*****

Severus hardened his glare on the boy, before swirling around and going over to the bed, his wand out, he with some struggle, relieved each bird of their burden, then he took his time, casting spells on each one, making sure none were spelled with anything that could harm or kill the boy.

With Black out there, I wouldn't put it pass him to send the boy a birthday present, only for it to be cursed or spelled to take the boy.

Even when he got to the third owl, a handsome tawny one that had, not only a parcel, but a letter bearing the Hogwarts crest, he still made sure both the letter and parcel was curse free.

Finding nothing wrong with any parcels, Severus turned to his ward.


“Well Pott…Harr….Mr Potter, the parcels are all safe and are not spelled with anything dangerous. Like a curse or something similar.” He told the boy,

“Sir, that's what I was going to tell you though, earlier on” Potter said,

Severus, knowing the boy was right, ignored him for now.

“Well, Mr Potter, aren't you going to open any of your….gifts?” he asked the boy, who looked at him as if he had said that he was the ‘tooth fairy.’

“G-g-gifts for me, sir?” the boy had a confused look on his face.

Severus raised a questioning eyebrow.

“You happen to be Harry Potter, don't you…. unless you're someone else pretending to be my ward, by using the Polyjuice potion?”

Potter blushed, as he shook his head. The confused frown shortly came back.

“But I—”

The boy trailed off.

Severus, relieved all three owls of their burdens and placed the parcels on the bed. He was just about to try and convince the boy to open his parcels again, but when he looked at his ward, he found him over by his school trunk, rummaging through. Severus looked at the boy in question, when Harr....Potter came back from his trunk, making his way over to the three owls that were currently on the bed.

"What, might I ask Mr Potter, are you doing?"

Harr...Potter shrugged. "Owl treats, sir"

Severus frowned, before noticing how exhausted all three owls were. He then noticed the one that had been in the middle, passed out on the bed. Severus, with a flick of his wand aimed at the Great Grey owl, enervated the tired creature awake. He then called his house elf.

“Lucy!” he called for his house elf.

Lucy appeared within seconds. Severus, knowing that it was late, apologized to his elf for waking her up at an unreasonable time. Afterwards, he ordered her to bring up some water for three, no doubt, parched owls.

Once all three owls were fed and not thirsty anymore, the tawny, ruffled it's wings, before taking off once more, satisfied that it's job was complete. Both guardian and ward watched as the tawny owl flew back through the window, this time, going outside. Severus, after bringing the Great Grey owl over to the chest of drawers, placing him atop of them, he sat back down in the armchair, putting his wand away in the process.

The stoic potions master watched as his ward cautiously sat back down on the bed, the snowy owl perched upon the boy's shoulder.

"Well," Severus drawled, "aren't you going to open your parcels?"

Potter looked up at him in confusion. "Wha--"

Severus indicated to the parcels at the end of the bed.

"Oh, uh..."

"Unless you wish to open them later on today, say....at a reasonable time" Severus made to stand,

The Potter boy shook his head in the negative. "No...I uh...I mean, it's okay. I uh, I was just deciding on which one to open first."

Severus leaned back in his chair, folding his arms against his chest, he narrowed his eyes at the boy, who still continued sitting there, starting at the small pile of parcels. Severus, held back a sigh, cursing himself for not seeing the real Harr...Potter when the child had first arrived at Hogwarts. From what Albus had told him over the years, prior to the boy's first year, he had assumed the boy would be spoilt, like James Potter. Unfortunately, he decided to treat the boy cruelly, in hopes the boy won't turn out to be like how James had been at first.

Now, he regretted listening to the headmaster's words about the boy, instead of deciding to get to know the boy himself.

I'm sorry Lily.

Thinking about Lily, Severus glanced at his ward again. Checking on him. He let out a sigh, seeing the boy had yet to open one parcel. This is going to be a long night.

"I do not know what muggle birthday traditions are like Mr Pott...Harry, but in the wizarding world it has always been a tradition to open parcels the minute they arrive."

The boy just sat there, nodding his head, staring at the parcels on the bed, automatically stroking his owl, who hooted softly a few times at him, before affectionately nipping him on the ear, with her beak.

“Thanks Hedwig” Harr…Potter said, smiling up at his owl, who hooted at him again before taking flight and flying over to the chest of drawers where she landed gracefully atop of them, perching next to the Weasley family owl.

Severus yawned, tried to hide it from the boy, but failed.

“You uh, don't have to stay here sir, I mean if you're uh tired sir, you can uh---”

“Severus,” he corrected the child. “And I shall go to bed once you have opened your parcels.”

The boy nodded, looking at him with a confused look.


“But wh—” The boy stopped what he was going to say, when he saw Severus' look. Harr...Potter's owl hooted a few times from her spot. From the looks of it, she was also giving the boy a firm look, as if to tell him to open his parcels.

Harr...Potter nodded his head. "Ye-yes sir," he decided to say, as he hesitantly reached for the parcel wrapped in brown paper.

The potions master noticed his ward flinch, Harr...Potter's arms twitching. Severus frowned, wondering why he'd have that reaction over some parcel. Most kids, tended to be ungrateful little swines when it came to opening parcels and usually ended up ripping the paper open, in excitement, making a mess. Then he was reminded by his Slytherins that stayed behind every Christmas. The first years, tended to flinch when he handed them their first presents ever. Severus started to wonder if the boy had received gifts before. He remembered two Christmases ago, Albus had told him about one of the presents he had gift the boy. James' invisibility cloak.

Severus leaned back against the chair. Still wondering to this day why on earth the headmaster had James' cloak.

"Oh wow, Hedwig," Severus startled out of his thoughts when he heard the Potter boy's voice. "Ron and his family on holiday in Egypt for the rest of the summer. I'm really happy for them" He heard the boy tell his owl.

Severus frowned, remembering the Newspaper article he had read not too long ago. In the Daily Prophet, he had read that the Weasley patriarch, Arthur, had won a competition. The annual Daily Prophet Galleon Draw. Severus vaguely remembered reading they were spending some of the money they had won on a trip to Egypt where the eldest Weasley son, William Weasley, was currently working. That had been sometime last week, days before he had read about Black breaking out of Azkaban. Blasted wizarding prison. Couldn't even contain that beast for another year.

Thinking of Black, Severus turned his attention back to his ward who was, studying, what appeared to be a sneakascope. A pocket one at that.

"That, Pott...Mr Potter, is a pocket sneakascope." Severus told the boy. Unaware of the letter the boy was reading from the Weasley boy was explaining it to his ward. "It is designed for when there's someone untrustworthy around, it sh--"

"Light up?" Harry asked, interrupting the professor, who raised an eyebrow in question. "Ron wrote about it in his letter, sir. Says what it does. His older brother Bill said that it didn't work and is just rubbish. Ron said that it did light up at dinner, but Bill didn't notice that the twins, Fred and George were putting beetles in his soup." He explained ducking his head, not at all used to talking too much to adults and still unaware that he had interrupted the professor. When he did, his cheeks flushed red. Looking back up at the man, he apologized.

Snape waved off his apology.

Harry, not knowing what else to do, decided to pick up another parcel. This time, the one that Hedwig had bought.

*****

Carefully unwrapping the present, glancing at Snape and the bedroom door, every time, he felt like he was going to be yelled at. Unwrapping the second parcel, Harry couldn't help but smile when he saw another birthday card, along with a letter and a wrapped present.

Placing the card next to his other card, the one Ron had sent him, atop of the bedside table, ready to read later, he, nervously picked up the letter, noting it was from Hermione.

After quite some time, he had finished with reading the letter, though he couldn't help but feel slightly jealous of his two best friends going on holiday with their families, his smile grew wider, knowing he hadn't yet lost either of his friends.

Spying the time on the pocket watch, that he had placed atop of the bedside table, Harry decided to open up the present, Hermione sent him, when he remembered what both Ron and Hermione had written to him in their letters. He bit his bottom lip, glancing up at Snape.

"Sir, um...d-do you think we could go to Diagon Alley, I....I mean, if I'm still here at the end of summer, do you think we could got to Diagon Alley during the last week of next month?" He asked, ducking his head,

Snape had a thoughtful look on his face, before shortly giving a curt nod.

"I suppose we could go Mr Potter...depends on what day and so on. Also, if the headmaster or I, have yet to find you a suitable guardian by the end of Summer Mr Potter, we will need to go to Hogwarts, as I need to re-stock my potions cupboard and lab before the start of next school year." Snape explained,

Harry nodded in understanding. "Thanks sir." He said, then he went back to the third parcel, but stopped once again. "um, sir...do you think I could maybe tell...Ron and Hermione where I--"

Snape shook his head in the negative. "I am afraid not, Mr Potter....for reasons the headmaster and I have both agreed on. It is best that you let them still think you are at your relatives' house for now."

Harry frowned confused. He was about to ask why.

"Aren't you going to open your other present, Mr Pott...Harry?" Snape asked,

Harry nodded, "ye-yes sir."

He then made to do so.

Confused by the weight of it, Harry frowned, assuming it was a book. That would be just like Hermione. He mused. Turns out, he was wrong. Instead, it was a sleek black leather case, with silver words stamped across it. Broomstick Servicing Kit.

"Wow, thanks Hermione!" He gratefully smiled, though it wasn't a big smile. He would have just been happy with something small or just a simple thing. But either way, he would happily use the kit.

Hedwig hooted from her perch, causing Harry to smile at his owl. "Thanks as well Hedwig" he told the snowy, who sent him a satisfied look.

"If I may ask, Mr Potter...but, what did Miss Granger send you for your birthday?"

Harry looked up at his professor. He bit his bottom lip again. "It's a Broomstick Servicing Kit, sir"

Snape glanced at the Nimbus 2000, stood against the wall. "Your broom does need a bit of T.L.C, Mr Potter, I am sure with Miss Granger's gift, it will be as good as new."

Harry nodded in agreement, knowing that he had been quite neglectful with his broomstick since he had arrived at the manor...and he didn't really have an excuse. He wasn't at his aunt's and uncle's, meaning it wasn't locked up for an entire summer until the first of September. He decided, if Snape allowed him to, he'd fly on his broom.

Thinking of his broomstick, Harry remembered Hermione's present. Returning his focus back on the present, Harr unzipped the case to look inside, noticing, there was a large jar of Fleetwood's High-Finish Handle Polish, a pair of gleaming silver Tail-Twig Clippers, a tiny brass compass to clip onto your broom for long journeys, and a Handbook of Do-it-Yourself Broomcare.

Putting the leather case aside, Harry yawned, rubbed his eyes, wanting to go to sleep. However, he remembered the third parcel. With another yawn, he, picked up the last parcel. By the messy writing, he could tell that it was from Hagrid. Carefully tearing off the top half of the parcel, he paused halfway, frowning when he noticed something green and leathery.

Unfortunately, before he could finish unwrapping the gift properly, the parcel gave a strange quiver. Harry startled, when whatever inside, snapped loudly. Harry glanced up at Snape, who had a quizzical expression. Harry gathered the professor also didn't know anything about Hagrid's gift. It was as if the thing had jaws. That was all he knew.

Harry sighed, a little bit weary of the gift. He knew Hagrid wouldn't have purposely gotten him anything dangerous. But the amount of times he and his friends had nearly been killed by Hagrid's 'not' so dangerous creatures. Giant spiders that eat people and live in the forbidden forest, buying a three-headed-dogs and last but not least, sneak illegal dragon eggs into his cabin onto school grounds and have three first years help with taking care of baby dragon once it's hatched.

"Do you know what it is Mr Pott....Harry?"

Harry flinched, forgetting for a moment that Snape was still in the room.

"No sir, all I know is that it's from Hagrid"

Severus, from where he sat, he could tell that Potter wasn't at all confident with whatever is in the third and last parcel, just by the way the boy carefully poked it. The parcel snapped loudly again. Severus, not taking any chances with whatever, the Groundskeeper had sent, whipped out his wand, preparing to hex the blasted thing.

Potter cast a look at him, unsure of what to do. Severus raised an eyebrow. "I believe it is your present, Mr Potter."

The boy focused his look back on Hagrid's gift. Severus watched as the boy hesitated before seizing the rest of the unwrapped parcel and picked it up. In moments, before either wizard could blink, something fell out, landing on the bed.

Severus frowned. A book. Why on earth would tha--

"The Monster Book of Monsters" he heard his ward say, no doubt reading the title of the book. "Bloody hell,"

Severus glanced at Potter with a glare, planning on reprimanding him. Only to hear a loud thud, followed by,

"Professor watch out!"

Severus startled from his thoughts, he followed the direction his ward was looking in...

Shit!

Severus stood up on the chair as quick as he could just as the book came scuttling towards the foot of the armchair. He whipped out his wand, holding it in the ready position. Not wanting the monster book to ruin his armchair, he aimed his wand at the book that continued to snap it's jaw-like-fore edge, at the foot of the armchair. Having enough of the snapping book, and not wanting to disturb his uncle's rest, Severus was just about ready to spell the book with an immobilus spell, when he noticed, from the corner of his eye, the boy, his ward, planning on leaving the bed. No doubt to try and catch the blasted book. Gryffindors.

“You better not leave that bed, Pott…Harr….Mr Potter, if you know what's good for you” he said in a silky tone.

The boy flinched, but shook his head in denial.

“Uh…no sir, I uh…wasn't leaving the bed.” Potter said,

Severus rolled his eyes.

“And I am the tooth fairy.” The potions master drawled. “Immobilus!” Severus, with his wand aimed at the scuttling monster book, spelled the book still.

Severus then flicked his wand again at the book, and in seconds, the book had a belt strapped around it, which would instantly stop the damn book from opening and snapping it's jaws at anyone nearby. Severus, got down from the armchair, and picked the horrible book up, handing it to his ward.

“I trust you will not allow this to….happen again?”

“N-no sir, won't happen again.” Potter shook his head. No doubt, catching his warning look.

Severus rested his face into a stoic expression.

“Good.” Was all he said, shortly, he told his ward goodnight, when he had paused in the doorway.

Potter responded back with a goodnight of his own.

*****

Later on that morning, not too long after breakfast, Desmond Prince, still sitting at the dining table, along with his nephew, who was sitting diagonal to him, decided to break the silence.

“So, son….Sev, what are the plans for today?” he asked,

Severus raised a questioning eyebrow at him.

“Plans. What plans? I have not made any plans for today. Wh—”

“Severus Tobias Snape!” Des interrupted, startling his nephew, who looked at him with furrowed eyebrows. “Tell me you didn't forget what today is?”

At his nephew's confused look, Des sighed. With a memory like that, I still wonder how in Merlin's name did Severus ever become a potions master….let alone a spy for the light.

“July thirty-first, Severus. Does tha—”

“Shit!”

Knowing Severus has managed to work it out and when he saw his nephew, his sister's son, looking at him as if to confirm his thoughts, Des gave a curt nod in return.

Des sat there sipping his tea with milk, as he watched the different expressions changing on his nephew's face. Soon enough, one expression stilled and one look at Severus's face, told him that his nephew thought of something just now.

“Uncle? Do you think you can watch Pott….Harry for awhile, until I return? I need to check something.” Severus asked him.

It was Des' turn to have a thoughtful look upon his face. He nodded,

“Of course Severus. Is there any potions you need to brew? I can brew one today, have young Harry help me,”

His nephew thought about it, before nodding.

“If you do decide to brew, make sure to keep an eye on him. I do not want to come back here and find the manor's gone.” Severus told him in serious tone.

Des rolled his eyes. Honestly, who does he think taught him how to brew? He was about to respond with this, but backtracked, remembering that it hadn't just been him who had taught Severus. It had also been Eileen, who taught her son at a young age. The age of three. From what I recall.

“You saying I cannot brew? Honestly, Sev, who do you think taught your cousins how to brew?”

“I know that uncle…and you did a fine job with them, although, Colly, had managed to blow up several cauldrons from what I remember.” Severus smirked at him.

Des rolled his eyes. “And I remember your old potions professor….Slughorn, had given you many detentions for exploding several cauldrons back in your….fifth year was it? Or maybe it was your sixth year,”

Severus' eyes went wide at that memory. Though his face shortly went back to a stoic expression.

“That wasn't due to the fact that I didn't know what I was doing uncle…it was usually due to the fact that I was experimenting….unsupervised. Usually in the bathroom, as you know.” Des heard his nephew sigh. “Very well, yes you may bring Pott…Harry down with you to my lab and have him help you brew. Just don't mess anything up, uncle.”

Des held back from rolling his eyes. Honestly, I have never managed to explode any cauldrons or potions before. Why would I now? He thought to himself.

“Aren't you meant to be going somewhere, Severus?” he reminded his nephew.

Who knew Severus could be so bossy?

Severus nodded, finishing up his herbal tea, he stood up from his seat at the dining table. “Yes, I shall take my leave and hopefully be back before lunch.” Severus placed his empty mug down on the saucer, then made his way out of the room.

Des, shortly finishing his own mug of tea, left to go look for his nephew's ward for the summer. Finding him eventually out in the garden.

“Harry,” he called, making his way over to the deck chairs where the boy was currently sitting and drawing.

The boy startled in his seat.

“S-sir?”

Des waved it off. “It is Des, Harry” he softly told the boy. “Severus has gone somewhere.”

The teenage boy had a worried look on his face.

“Where'd he go?”

Des shook his head. “He didn't say where, but he said he should be back before lunch. In the mean time, I thought you and I could brew a potion together.”

“Brew? Wha-what potion?”

“Dreamless sleep. Severus has a client who is in need of a batch. I thought, since I'm here, I could help him out with some of the potions his clients are in need of.”

Des watched as the boy had a thoughtful look on his face.

“Okay, sir,” Harry slowly nodded his head. Collecting his things, he stood up from the shaded deck chair. “Could I—”

Des nodded, “Course lad, jus' meet me down in Sev's lab.”

The two wizards soon found themselves down in Severus's lab. Des had allowed Harry to stir the potion, while he did the preparation of the ingredients.

“Stir that three times clockwise, lad” he instructed, while he slowly added the unicorn blood (willingly) given.

Harry did as he was told.

Eventually the potion turned purple and was ready to pour into several crystal vials, but that's after it's cooled down.

“Well done lad, you managed to brew an excellent batch of dreamless sleep.” Des praised, shooting the nervous boy a warm smile. “If you keep this up lad, you'll be top of potions in no time.” He told him.

The boy ducked his head, nodding.

“yes sir”

Des told Harry to wash and dry his hands, just as Lucy popped in to say Severus was back and that he had requested for them to meet him up in his study. With that in mind, Des told Lucy to tell Severus that they'll be up shortly. The elf popped away, doing just that. Des, when Harry had finished washing and drying his hands, told the boy to go and see what Severus wants. Harry nodded, saying that he would.

Left alone in the lab, Des, washed up the potions equipment and called Lucy to deliver the batch to Severus's client. While she did that, Des made his way out of his nephew's lab, then made his way to his nephew's study. Where he heard both Severus and Harry talking about the dreamless sleep potion.

“Well done Mr Pott…Harry….later, next week, if you are up to it, we could brew a few batches of potions that my customers have ordered.” He heard his nephew say, as he unknowingly entered the room. Des couldn't help but smirk to himself.

“Ar-are you uh…sure sir,” Harry nervously looked up at Severus, with a confused look. “I-I mean, after last time I—”

Severus gave a curt nod down at his ward.

“Yes Pott…Mr Potter, I am sure. That is if you behave the rest of today and the rest of the weekend.”

Des noticed the warning tone in his nephew's voice. Satisfied with what he had heard, Des decided to make his prescence known to the two younger wizards.

“And what are we doing today nephew of mine, that Harry here needs to behave?” he asked in a silky smooth tone. Startling both younger wizards.

Feeling his cheeks blush red, Severus turned to glare at his uncle shortly after occluding.

“And what, uncle of mine, were you doing there listening?” he couldn't help but respond back. “On a serious note, I have decided that we should all go out for the day.” He said, addressing the two wizards in the room with him.

Severus caught the look on his ward's face.

“Wha-where….” The boy paused, Severus decided to allow him to finish, even though he knew what the boy was trying to ask. “Where are you two planning on going sir?” Potter, finally asked

Severus glanced at his uncle. Confused, and from the looks of his uncle's face, his uncle was also confused.

“We,” Severus emphasized, looking directly at the boy again, “are going to a muggle fun fair, down at a park in Cokeworth…”

"Cokeworth sir? Isn't that where my mum was from?” the boy asked, his eyes lighting up.

Severus smirked, nodding his head. “Yes, Mr Potter, I believe it was the same town she was from.” He stood there, his arms folded against his chest as he waited for the boy to notice.

Potter frowned, confused.

"But sir...you and, and De...I mean, you and your uncle ar-are, well you guys aren't young like my cousin and his friends are. Why would you---"

Understanding soon dawned on the boy's face.

"You mean I--"

Severus gave a curt nod of his head. "Yes Mr Potter....we decided, since it is your birthday, as I am your guardian, no ward of mine will be sitting up in the library reading a book on their thirteenth birthday....so we shall be going out for the day, to a muggle fun fair, the same fun fair I had visited a few times with your mother when we were children." He told the boy in a serious tone. "Though, we'll be going out in the muggle world Mr Potter, there will be rules. Rules that you are to follow unless you want to be scrubbing cauldrons for the rest of the summer." Severus glared down warningly at his ward, his onyx eyes no doubt glinting.

"Ru-rules sir? Wh-what kind of rules?" Potter asked, looking apprehensive.

*****

The potions master didn't need to be told twice with telling the boy some rules for when they'll be out and about in the muggle world.

"The first rule Pott...Mr Potter, is when we are out, you are to stick with either myself or uncle Des at all times...there will be no wandering off on your own, Pott...Mr Potter, and if you need to go somewhere, like to the loo, you are to tell one of us and we shall go with you...."

Potter interrupted.

"I'm twel-thirteen sir, I don't need someone to come wi--"

Severus, still glaring at his ward, cut Potter off.

"Be that as it may Pott...Mr Potter, you are my ward for the summer and while we are out, you will abide by my rules. Now, if you in fact, break this rule Pott...Mr Potter, I shall cast an anti child wandering charm on you--"

Anti-what?" Potter interrupted again. Severus glared at his ward, and just continued.

"...when we do go out in Diagon Alley. Understood?"

The boy was looking down at the ground.

"Yes sir" the boy mumbled, nodding his head, not at all looking up at him. Severus scowled.

"Potter!" He snapped, startling the boy. Potter flinched back.

"Sorr---"

Feeling guilty for causing such a reaction. Severus waved off the boy's apology. "Do not apologise Mr Potter. I am the one that should be sorry for startling you...I-I didn't mean to."

Potter, looked up at him with a confused look. "But sir--"

Severus shook his head. "No buts Mr Potter. Now, kindly look at me when I am talking to you. Is that clear?"

Potter slowly nodded. "Uh, yes sir."

"Good, now the second and final rule is, you will not be stuffing yourself with sweets. You may have one treat, after we have gotten something proper to eat at one of the food stalls." Severus told his ward, "now, I don't know about the two of you, but I think I'd prefer to be down at the fun fair right now, instead of standing here all day...wouldn't you agree?"

Both uncle Des and his ward nod their heads in agreement.

"We shall be disapparating just outside of my manor wards. From there, we shall apparate in an alleyway not too far from where Lily used to live..." Severus suggested, telling his uncle and his ward what will happen and how they are going to get to the fun fair. "Since the fun fair won't open until 2pm, I thought we could stop somewhere to eat lunch first."

"A fine idea Sev, I do love visiting the muggle world. Something Sean and I tend to do every now and then, since he's with Maggie." Des agreed, "but Severus, there's only one problem."

"And what would that be uncle?" Severus asked, confused, as he turned to look at the older wizard with a raised eyebrow.

"We're not exactly dressed for the muggle world."

Severus couldn't help but roll his eyes. "Thank you uncle, for...pointing out the obvious. I was going to suggest we all change first...or you could spell us all into appropriate muggle clothing, then we can leave."

Des nodded, getting out his wand.

"Uh, sir...what exactly is disapparating?"

Both Severus and his uncle turned to look at the young Potter boy.

"Disapparating Harry, is another form of transportation for wizards and witches-a whole lot easier than brooms, and flooing." Des explained, before Severus could do so. "When in groups, of two or more, you can side along disapparate-which we will be doing with Severus shortly...."

"When you want to disapparate and apparate to a certain location, Mr Potter," Severus said, taking over from his uncle, his classroom tone immediately catching his ward's attention."You must concentrate, you must know the area you're apparating to, and they must remember the three D's..."

"The three D's sir?"

"Destination, Determination and Deliberation. That's what my Apparation instructor, professor Twycross told me when I was learning to apparate."

"Apparation instructor?" Severus noticed his ward had a thoughtful look upon his face. "Is that...is that like a muggle driving instructor?" Potter finally asked.

Severus nodded, remembering what Lily's mother had told him, many years ago, when he had first asked Lily about muggle cars.

"Exactly."

A few minutes later, dressed in apporpriate muggle attire, thanks to Des who used his wand to spell their clothes, Severus, Des and the young Potter boy were standing outside the front of Snape manor.

Severus explained to his ward a bit more about disapparating and apparation. Telling the boy in a strict, classroom tone, that side-along apparation requires holding tightly onto the person apparating. Since it was Severus, Severus's uncle, Des had to hold on to him.

Potter had been wary at first, but after some reassurance from Severus, the boy, though tensed up the moment Severus touched him, held on tight to Severus after being told about the dangers of side-along apparation.

"I could just apparate myself if you...." Har-Potter started to say, clearly not trusting Severus, who interrupted him before he could finish.

"Do you, Mr Potter...know the exact location where we are going?"

Potter hesitated before shaking his head.

"And do you know how to apparate? Have you ever been taught?"

Potter again shook his head.

"And are you...seventeen, Mr Potter? The legal age where you can learn to apparate."

"No sir." Potter reluctantly said.

"Then the answer is, no...you will not be apparating on your own. And since I am the only one that knows where we are going, you will have to hold on to me." Severus firmly told his ward.

When Potter looked as if he was having an internal battle with himself, Severus decided to say something else.

"Trust me Mr Pott...Harry, I am not going to hurt you. I am not your uncle and would never hu-"

Severus startled at first when the boy had unexpectedly

held him. After reminding himself what was happening and where he was, he wrapped his free arm around his ward, holding the boy tight. Once he was sure he was holding both his side-along apparition companions, Severus, picturing the alleyway that he was going apparate to, disapparated with his uncle and ward on the spot, followed by a loud;

*POP!*


The three wizards disappeared from the manor.
To be continued...
Chapter 14 Fun Fair by RavenMooney
Author's Notes:
Harry spends his 13th birthday at the funfair with Snape Nd Snape's uncle.
After apparating to an alleyway, a few blocks from Cokeworth shopping center, one that he remembered walking through many times before with Lily, whenever visiting her.

Severus, after cursing himself for not remembering to bring a stomach soother potion, for his ward, who he kept on forgetting hadn't been raised in the wizarding world, but in the muggle world, decided, after helping his ward back to his feet, to call Lucy. If I'm quick, maybe she'll be able to pop in, and out, without being seen by any passing muggles.

"How are you feeling Potter?" He asked, when the boy was leaning against a wooden fence in the alley way.

The boy shrugged his shoulders.

Severus glared.

"I'm uh...fine sir..."

"Are you sure?" Severus raised a disbelieving eyebrow.

Potter nodded, slowly. "Yes sir, I'm sure." There was a pause. "Sir?"

"Yes, Potter?"

"Does dis–disapparition ever get easy?"

"Disapparation, Pot--Harry," Severus corrected, going right into a formal classroom tone. "And no, it can be highly dangerous,." Severus paused, thinking.

Uncle Des, not knowing why Severus had paused, added, "as Severus said, it is highly dangerous. There's been many incidents where a wizard or witch has injured themselves in the worst way possible, lost a limb or died, due to not being too focused something, a reason why we were to hold onto Severus as tightly as possibly while he apparated us here, because either of us three could have had that happen to us."

"Really?" Potter asked, no longer leaning against the fence.

Severus nodded his head. "Really Potter." Severus said, then looking at his ward, he asked the boy if he was fine, offering to call Lucy and to have her bring back a stomach soothing potion. Potter shook his head in response.

"You don't have to sir...I'm fine."

Seeing his ward was looking much better than earlier, Severus let it go for now. He then decided they should get something to eat. With his uncle agreeing, Severus asked his ward if he was hungry and wanted to get some lunch at a café, he knew of.

They all agreed.

It was about a good ten minutes walk to the town center, from the alley way they had apparated in. Once arriving at Cokeworth shopping center, they had walked for another few minutes, or more, locating the coffee shop that Severus remembered going to a few times with Lily.

Pret A Manger.

Walking inside, the three wizards, joined the back of the queue. Severus asked everyone what they wanted for lunch. Uncle Des told him that he wanted to try the tuna melt toastie for lunch, and to drink, he will get a mug of cappuccino. Severus planned on getting a chicken and cucumber sandwich and a mug of green tea. He asked his ward, who was standing there silently looking at the menu, what he wanted.

Potter, shrugged his shoulders, shortly shaking his head in the negative. "Uh, I'm okay s--" Potter's stomach grumbled, interrupting him.

Severus raised an eyebrow at this. "Not hungry, were you going to say Pott...Harry?"

Pott...Harry nervously glanced up at him. Nodding, slowly.

"How about we share the sandwich. You can have one slice, and I shall have the other." Severus suggested, knowing the boy still couldn't eat much.

Pott...Harry thought about it for a moment, then asked, "what are you getting sir?"

"A chicken and cucumber sandwich and a mug of green tea."

The boy thought about his response. "Are you...sure it's alright?"

Severus gave a curt nod. "I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't sure."

In response, Potter, slowly nodded. "O-okay sir, if you uh, say so."

As they approached the till, Severus placed his order. While, uncle Des went to find a place for them to sit. When the young friendly woman asked if they wanted anything else, Severus thought about what he had ordered so far. He counted four items. Two drinks and two plates of food. 'Two drinks? Green tea, and a cappuccino. The cappuccino for uncle Des and the green tea for myself. The tuna melt for uncle Des and the chicken and cucumber sandwich for myself...and Potter.'

'Potter!' Severus silently cursed himself as he glanced down at his ward, who was standing there, silently next to him. Not saying anything.

"Pott...Harry, did you want anything to...drink?"

Potter looked at him in confusion.

"Drink, sir?"

Severus refrained from rolling his eyes. Now was not the time.

"Water, coke...hot chocolate...tea, orange juice, lemona--"

“Uh, water's fine sir.” Potter said,

Severus raised an eyebrow. That was the last thing he expected the boy to ask for.

"Are you sure you want water, Pott...Harry?"

Potter nodded.

Just like his ward wanted, Severus ordered some water, shortly paying for the food. He and Potter then went to find uncle Des who had found a table with three chairs.

Once they were finished with their lunch, Severus, along with his uncle and his ward, after a toilet break, left the coffee shop. Since the park where Severus knew the fun fair was being held, was a good ten minute walk, maybe a little longer, from the town center, the three wizards decided to walk to the local park.

Nearing the main park (King Edward park) in the town of Cokeworth, the three wizards could hear the different sounds that they knew was coming from the funfair, they could also smell food type smells, they guessed were the type of foods being sold at the park.

Reaching the park entrance, the different types of sounds were much clearer. The sounds ranged from teens screaming on the rides, the different types of music blasting from their designated rides and through the park, Severus was sure could be heard on the other side of England, or maybe just up in Hogsmeade area.

"What rides do you think they'll have here, son?" Uncle Des asked from beside him as they walked down the footpath, which would take them to the main part of the park, the part where all the rides and stalls were.

Severus shook his head in the negative. "No idea uncle. But the last time I was here, which was back when I was fifteen, here with Lily, Potter and Potter's three friends, the rides we had gone on, were; Bumper cars, the Ferris wheel, tea cups and the carousel. Why?" The potions master paused in his footsteps, turned and raised a questioning eyebrow at his uncle.

Uncle Des, who had also stopped walking, shook his head. "Nothing Sev. Just wanted to know."

There was a long pause. Uncle Des continued, "I'm just curious Sev. Having heard about the fun fair myself from the many stories you used to tell me each time you went with your friends."

Severus nodded, the two continued walking down the footpath, nearing the rides. Once they stopped at the bottom of the footpath, which over looked the lake, you couldn't see it right, now since the park was currently crowded with many different types of people, all there for the fun fair. Severus, turned round to look at his ward.

"Alright Pott...Harry, what ride first?” Severus asked his ward,

The boy who had been dawdling behind them, looked up at him, confused.

“Me sir?” Pott…Harry pointed to himself. “You-you want me t-to decide what ride we go on first? Wait I can go on the rides too? But Dudley said that I won't….”

Harry paused, frowning in confusion as he remembered what his cousin had told him many years ago when his relatives had come back from Little Whinging fair. He had been let out of his cupboard to have his first meal in days and had asked Dudley with curiosity how the fair was. Dudley, being himself, smiled cockily as he bragged about how fun it was and what rides they had gone on, then when he was finished, Harry had said that it sounded fun and he wouldn't mind going next time. Dudley had then sneered at him saying they wouldn't allow him anywhere near the fairgrounds since he'd contaminate everything with his freakishness.

A small smile formed on the Gryffindor's lips as he realized his cousin had been wrong. He had entered the fairgrounds and didn't see any police standing there at the entrance with guns, waiting for him to try and enter. Nor did he see a sign with a picture of him with a big red X on his face, saying he wasn't allowed to enter.

“Uh…never mind sir.” He finished, looking at both older wizards. Harry then glanced around, wondering what ride to go on first. “So I'm allowed to choose, sir?” Harry asked again just to make sure.

Both older wizards nodded his head.

“Yes, but we'll take it in turns.” Snape said in a firm tone. Harry and Snape's uncle both nodded in agreement at that. “Since this is your first time to the fun fair, you may choose first. Afterwards, uncle Des and I will….”

“We will arm wrestle over who gets to choose next.” Snape’s uncle jumped in.

Harry looked up at the older wizard, in surprise and hoping that would happen as he and his housemates have always made bets on how strong Snape probably was. Seamus, Dean and Ron usually betted that Snape was probably so weak that he wouldn't be able to pick up a fly. Harry and Hermione had rolled their eyes and though neither of them liked Snape, they had pointed out that was stupid since Snape is a potions master and they were sure cauldrons were heavier than a common fly.

“Are you serious, sir?” Harry couldn't help but ask Snape's uncle, who was quick to remind him to call him Des. Harry nodded, but didn't say anything. He just waited for either the professor or the professor's uncle to say something in response.

Snape replied, making Harry wish it was Snape's uncle that had been the one to reply.

“No, Potter, we'll probably flip a coin or something.” The professor said instead.

Harry nodded,

“Now last time I checked, we're at a fun fair to go on some rides,” Snape reminded them,

*****

Walking around the fairgrounds, Harry, who was constantly fascinated by everything he saw, kept on trailing behind the two older wizards, in fact it happened so often that Snape lost his patience and demanded he walk in front of them.

They walked for quite some time, at least twice, around the fairgrounds as the Gryffindor boy found it difficult to just choose any ride to go on first.

There were so many different rides to choose from and Harry, having never been on any didn't know what to go on. He didn't know how many rides Snape would allow them all to go on, and if they were taking turns choosing, then he knew that he didn't know what the two older wizards would choose.

“It cannot be that hard to choose a ride, Potter!” Snape snapped, half way round the fairgrounds for the third time. “Just pick one!”

Harry felt pressured now in choosing a ride, but he still didn't know which one to choose. He glanced at the two he could clearly see. One was a Ferris Wheel ride, standing at least, L12.5m x W 9.1m x D15.5m tall. The other was a Carousel ride with wooden horses, all painted different colours, with a gold painted pole attached to the wooden saddles.

In the end Harry decided to choose the Carousel ride and after several long minutes, or more of queuing, Snape paid £6 for all three of them to go on the ride. Harry hopped on a wooden horse, painted a dark beige colour, the tail and mane were both painted black, as well as the eyes and hooves. The saddle and reins, were painted red. Snape, climbed up on the wooden horse next to him, which was painted the same colour as Harry's. Snape's uncle, Des, climbed up on a wooden horse in front, which was painted a different colour. Instead, of being painted beige, the wooden horse, Des was sitting on, was painted black, with the same red saddle and reins.

Once most of the horses were occupied, the Carousel started to move in a clockwise position and the horses went up and down in a galloping like motion, startling Harry and Des so much that they had fallen forward, grabbing hold of their pole for dear life. Snape on the other hand, hadn't startled at all, in fact, he smirked at the two of them, after they said they were both alright.

From where he was sitting, Harry noticed Des, taking something out of his hoodie pocket, he watched with curiosity as he wondered what the older wizard could be taking out.

"Smile," Des told them, holding up a camera, and from the looks of it, it was a wizarding camera.

Harry startled, hearing Snape's unexpected tone, he had, for a moment, forgotten the professor was on the horse next to him.

"Uncle, please tell me you didn't bring a wi--"

There was a flash of a bright white light, coming from the wizarding camera, Harry had luckily been ready, at the last minute when he had noticed the older wizard was going to take a picture. He glanced at Snape, who was scowling at his uncle.

"I was not ready yet, uncle. You should have waited." Snape told the older wizard,

Des just smirked at the frowning potions master. "I did tell you to smile, Sev."

There was a moment or two of silence, before Harry added, "he's got you there, sir." This caused, Snape to scowl at him, telling him to mind his own business, or to just concentrate on the ride, while Des couldn't help but chuckle at Snape.

"Calm down Sev, honestly, Collie was right about you." Snape's uncle said, getting the camera ready again to take another picture. "You do need to learn to relax a little."

Harry perked up at hearing Snape's uncle mentioning Snape's cousin, well, at least he thought it was Snape's cousin, the tailor from France that had measured him and sent the clothes just last week. Before he could ask how she was, Snape's uncle, told them to smile again. Harry did, and this time, after rolling his eyes, Snape did too.

Overall, Harry's first experience on a fairground ride, went extremely well.

Next, was Des's turn to choose a ride, and like Harry, it was his first time at a Fun Fair, so, again, they spent quite some time, walking around the fairgrounds, until Des spotted a ride he thought looked interesting to ride.

"How about we go on that ride over there?" Des suggested, after walking pass several different rides, and spotting one that caught his eye.

Beside him, he heard his nephew, Severus ask, "which one?"

*****
Des indicated to the ride, that had a large rectangular shaped platform. The three wizards stood there silently watching the ride that was at the moment, in motion. There were several people driving round on the platform, in separate muggle contraptions to each other, all bumping into one another. The contraptions were all shiny and all different colours, ranging from, a shiny, sparkly blue, to a shiny, sparkly purple.

"The Dodgems." Des replied, reading the ride name.

Harry nodded. "That ride's fun...according to my cousin, Dudley....he's been to the fair many times before and he said that ride was one of the best rides."

There was a moment of silence, maybe longer, before Severus agreed that they were fun. "My first time at the fair with your mother, Lily...we went on the Dodgems together."

Shortly, after waiting for the ride to finish, Severus paid for all three of them to go on the ride. Des and Harry decided to share a bumper car, while Severus decided to ride on his own.

Choosing their bumper car, a shiny blue car, the older wizard looked at the controls, and let his jaw drop, when he realized he didn't know what to do. He asked his nephew's ward, beside him, whether he knew what to do or not. Harry shook his head, also confused.

"I should have known" they startled, in their chosen bumper car, hearing Severus say as he approached their car. After some explaining from his nephew on how to work the ride, Des thanked him and as soon as the ride started, they, luckily got their car to move.

Des decided to test drive the car at first, get a little feel, however, other riders on the ride had other plans and bumped into them from everywhere they could.

Even Severus, smirked, after bumping into them, said, "you shouldn't have suggested this ride, if you didn't know what to do." Then he drove off, bumping into several other riders, while Des, who was, slightly more confident with the ride, glanced beside him at Harry.

"Did you want to have a go at steering?" Des asked, the boy.

Harry looked up at him, confused for a moment, then nodded.

"Yeah, okay I'll uh...I'll have a go."

Some several minutes later, of Harry getting the hang of steering, Des, glanced around, smirked, then whispered something in Harry's ear. The boy looked up at him, for confirmation that he had heard correctly, Des nodded, letting the boy know that he did indeed hear correctly.

The younger wizard steered the bumper car in the direction Des had told him to steer, they bumped into a few riders, and were approaching their target, who had not noticed them yet, since he was lazily driving around...that was right up until the very last moment, when it was too late and they bumped into the side of a shiny green car, shocking Severus, who was their chosen victim.

Severus looked at them in shock. "How did you--"

Des smirked, but shook his head. "Next time, son, you should remember to concentrate on your surroundings."

They drove off from the potions master, before he could curse them with his wand, only to be jerked shortly, from behind. The two wizards turned, to see who their next victim will be. Turns out, they'd be going after Severus again, this time with Des steering while Harry sat back and enjoyed the ride.

When the ride ended, all three wizards decided wandered around the fairgrounds some more, this time, it was Severus's turn to choose the next ride to go on.

Des saw some interesting rides, but none caught his nephew's eye.

Eventually, they found themselves, in the line for the Ferris wheel, the ride that Severus suggested they go on. To pass the time as they stood in the queue for what felt like forever, Des got all three of them into playing a game of Eye spy. He joked to Severus, saying this should be an easy game for him. Severus in return, scowled at him, said that he wasn't interested, but that didn't last long, since Harry, who unexpectedly had the potions master wrapped around his finger each time he looked at the wizard with his emerald green eyes...Severus joined in.

Once on the ride, Des, who was sitting in one carriage, on his own, while his nephew and Harry sat in the carriage in front, together, got out the camera once more. As the ride slowly moved in a clockwise direction, slowly rising, Des called his nephew and Harry, getting their attention. Thus causing the two younger wizards to turn round and look at him.

"Say cheese."

Severus rolled his eyes, but nevertheless, said cheese, at about the same time as his ward. The camera flashed. A couple more pictures later, Severus and his ward turned back round to look ahead of them.

The potions master kept on point out the different rides to his ward...the rides, they could see from the Ferris Wheel. He pointed out the ones that he and Lily had gone on several times when they were younger. He then started telling the boy about his first time on the Ferris Wheel-minus the part when Lily had to convince him to open his eyes-When their carriage got to the top, he heard his ward asking him if they could see Lily's old childhood home from where they were.

Severus shook his head in the negative. "I'm afraid not Mr Potter....your mother's childhood home, though it was at least a ten minute walk from the park, is blocked by all these treetops and all the roofs you can see in the distance." Seeing his ward's disappointed face, Severus added, "although, I do know whereabouts it is.”

The potions master glanced around, pointing in the direction he remembered Lily's house used to be from the park. He pointed out the top of the school building Lily and her older sister had attended. Their house wasn't that far from there. Lily had told him the very first time he went on the ride with her.

Severus noticed, from the corner of his eye, his ward staring in the direction he had pointed in (off to the right of where they were currently.) He felt tempted to use a quick, mild legilimency on the boy, to see what he was thinking, but in the end, he knew that wasn't right, so he had to talk himself out of temptation.

“Thanks sir,” finally Pott…Harry said, “now I kind of know where my mum lived. I wonder what their house looks like now? Do you think my grandparents are still living there or do you think another family are living in the house now? I—”

Severus interrupted the boy. “I have no idea who'll be living in the house now. In fact, I am certain if we go there, I will have a hard time of finding the house or even recognizing the house. It would have changed over the years. Your grandparents, I don't exactly know what happened to them.” He told the boy as true as he could. He knew exactly what had happened to the Evans family. They were killed by Death Eaters, followers of the Dark Lord, when the Potters had gone into hiding. Severus knew that was not a story to tell the boy right now. In fact he hoped he would not have to be the one to tell him that.

When the ride ended, they walked round the fairgrounds some more. It was Potter's turn now to choose a ride to go on.

As they walked round, they were nearing some of the food stalls, the professor turned his head to look at his ward and uncle.

“Are either of you hungry? If so, speak now.” He asked, indicating to the first food stall they were approaching. A a hot dog, burger and pizza stand.

Next was a fish and chips stand.

Another was a sweet treats stand that sold; Candy floss in a clear plastic bag with some sealed with a pink string tied in a bow while the rest was sealed with a blue string also tied in a bow, a bag of sweets, popcorn and some fizzy drinks.

“Nah, I'm alright son.” Uncle Des replied, “we ate a few hours ago.”

Walking in between them, Pott…Harry shook his head in the negative. “No thanks sir, not hungry. I'm still full from lunch.”

Hearing that, Severus couldn't help but frown, remembering exactly what Potter had for lunch. Half a chicken and cucumber sandwich. The potions master couldn't help but wish he had done more to the muggle. No young boy, Potter's age, shouldn't still be full from half a sandwich.

As they passed the sweet treats stall, Severus, out of the corner of his eye, noticed his ward, looking at something from there. He wondered if Potter was going to ask for something.

He didn't, instead, he continued to stare longingly at one treat in particular.

*****

Without thought, the potions master found himself going back to the sweet treats stall, getting the money out, he stood at the back of the fairly short line. Once it was his turn to order, all he said was, “one bag of candy floss, please,” there was a short pause, “….one with the blue bow.”

Severus, with the bag of candy floss in hand, made his way back over towards his uncle and ward, who had stopped the minute they realized he wasn't there. As he neared the two wizards, he clearly saw their looks. While Potter had a look of curiosity, uncle Des had a frown upon his face.

“Could have told us you were going back for some candy floss, Sev.” Uncle Des said, “we would have understood that you wanted some.”

Beside his uncle, the Potter boy nodded his head in agreement.

Severus couldn't help but roll his eyes.

“I didn't get this for myself, uncle, you know I don't have a sweet tooth like you and Albus do…”

At that information, Potter looked up at uncle Des in surprise.

“You have a…a sweet tooth like Dumble-I mean, the headmaster sir?”

Uncle Des nodded, smiling. “Des. And I do lad. In fact it was Albus that got me into anything filled with sugar.”

Severus waited until they had finished talking, then he got their attention again. He couldn't help but smirk when he saw the boy frown, in confusion, knowing what he was going to do and say next will surely shock the boy.

“I believe, this is for you, Pott…Harry.” He told the boy in a serious tone, tossing the bag of candy floss to his shocked ward.

“Sir?” Potter asked, still shocked and confused.

Severus looked at the boy. “Yes Pott—Harry?”

“Is this…” Potter paused, “did you really get this for me?”

Severus nodded, as he continued walking, his ward and uncle joining him. “Yes, I believe I said that.”

Silence lingered on between the three wizards for a few moments.

“Thanks sir.” Pott…Harry said, breaking the silence, while he carefully untied the blue bow and placed it in his jean pocket.

Severus couldn't help but frown when the boy had offered the both of them some candy floss. After a shake of their heads, he noticed the boy, hesitantly dip his hand into the opened bag of the blue and pink candy floss.

He watched as the boy, after examining the piece he had teared off, popped it in his mouth, flinching as he did so. Severus exchanged looks with his uncle. Both older wizards were thinking the same thing.

“Mmm, wow…I guess Dudley and his friends were right….this is good.” Harry said, surprised by how tasty the fluffy, cloud-like, sugary candy floss tasted. “Thanks sir,” he thanked the professor, shooting the man a small smile.

Snape shook his head in the negative.

“No need for thanks. Think of it as a birthday treat, Pott…Harry, and it is Severus.”

Harry nodded, a little unsure of how to respond, he was just about to dip his hand in the bag again when he took his hand back out.

The Gryffindor looked back and forth between Snape and Snape's uncle, and though they had both shook their heads in the negative last time he asked, and replied saying they were fine, Harry couldn't help but, ask them again if either of them wanted some.

Snape shook his head, reminding him that he doesn't have a sweet tooth. Snape's uncle, on the other hand…accepted, thanking him as he took a small piece, also hesitant in tasting the treat. Harry couldn't help but watch the older wizard plopping a piece of candy floss in his mouth very hesitantly. He noticed the older man nodding.

“You're right lad, this is good.” Snape's uncle said in agreement.

Surprisingly, the Gryffindor had managed to eat the whole bag of candy floss as they walked round the fairgrounds. Putting the bag in the bin, and with the blue string still in his pocket, he went and asked the potions master if he could go to the loo so he could wash his hands.

Snape was about to suggest something else, probably use a spell, but his uncle added that he needed to relieve himself. Instead of going to the portaloos, they found a toilet building in the park, with less of a queue.

Harry went to wash his hands while Snape's uncle went to the loo, leaving Snape waiting outside for them. The three wizards soon found themselves walking back around the fairgrounds. Harry had yet to choose another ride to go on next.

As they walked, the Gryffindor found himself looking at the hook a duck stall, he wasn't looking at the game itself, just one of the prizes that had caught his eye. Lost in thought, he startled when he felt someone grab his arm in a gentle manner.

“Come on,” he heard Snape say, “we'll play one game only though.”

Confused, Harry glanced up at Snape, wondering what the man meant by they'll play one game only.

What game? Harry wanted to ask.

His eyes widened when he realized where Snape was pulling him over to. The Hook a duck, game stall. “Sir?”

"Hook a duck, 2 a go." The guy, that looked slightly older than Ron's brother, Percy, called to anyone that looked like they were interested in having ago at the game. Harry watched as the professor, reached into his pocket, taking out some money.

"Here," Snape said, letting go of his arm and turning around. The professor handed two pounds to a confused Harry.

"Sir, uh...I, I can't take this" Harry shook his head in the negative.

Snape' responded, "You can Potter. Now, go and play the hook a duck game, Pott...Harry. You looked as if you wanted to have a go earlier on."

Continuing to stand there, surprised that the professor had given him some money, Harry didn't move until Snape and Snape's uncle encouraged him to have a go at the game.

Having paid the guy with spiky blonde hair and dark blue streaks running through, Harry stood there, with a long stick, the hook was at the other end. He couldn't help but smile a small, hopeful smile as he glanced quickly up at the prize that had caught his eye earlier on. He silently hoped that he'd win the prize before someone else came along.
To be continued...
Chapter 15 The Oculist by RavenMooney
Author's Notes:
Harry and Snape visit Diagon Alley, and Harry gets his eyes tested.
Petting his snowy owl, Harry stood by the chest of drawers, dressed and ready to go to Diagon Alley. He was just saying goodbye to his feathered friend before he left.

The owl, seeing as it was morning, continued to peacefully sleep, enjoying having her human beside her. Nothing would harm her with him around and vice versa. She knew without a doubt, she'd do anything to protect her boy, even if it means her death. Aside from that, they were bonded for life, have been, ever since her boy had named her.

At the sound of a pop, the startled owl ruffled her feathers, repeatedly hooting in panic.

“Calm down girl.” Harry told her, soothing the snowy. Since Hedwig's been back, he noticed the poor thing has been easily startled with almost any sound she wasn't expecting to hear. “It's just Lucy,”

When the elf made herself known, Hedwig eyed the creature suspiciously and only drifted back to sleep by her boy's calm, genuine words and his soothing pets.

Lucy stood there wringing her hands together as she looked up at the young wizard with an apologetic expression. “Lucy sorry young master Harry Potter, sir.”

Harry shook his head. “It's okay Lucy.” He looked at the elf, giving her a small reassuring smile. “You didn't do anyth—hey, Hedwig!” Harry let out in a shocked tone. He hadn't been expecting a nip on the ear from his owl, knowing exactly why she did just that.

Looking at his owl, Hedwig hooted at him, sounding very much like she didn't agree with what he had said. Harry couldn't help but roll his eyes.

“Hedwig doesn't agree, Lucy,” Harry said to the house elf, who had been standing there quietly the whole time, “but like I was going to say Lucy, you didn't do anything wrong. You're just doing what Snape wanted you to do, right?”

Lucy nodded, her eyes wide like tennis balls as she responded, remembering the reason why she popped into the room in the first place.

“Master Severus sir is waiting for yous, young master Harry Potter sir.” She told him,

Harry thanked the elf and told her that he'll be down in a minute. Lucy nodded, popping back out of the room and going to tell Snape. Leaving the teenager standing in the room, to let out a reluctant sigh.

Ever since Snape's uncle had left last Sunday evening, everything basically went back to normal, with Snape snapping at both Lucy and Harry. For the first part of the week, he had somehow assumed Snape snapping was his own doing. Maybe he had finally had enough of him and wanted to send him back to the Dursleys.

Harry had packed his trunk, leaving the clothes Snape had bought for him, he had also left the stuffed bear on the bed. It was better off at the manor than in Surrey with him where his uncle would surely rip it apart right in front of his eyes. He had tried to do that with Harry's wand, but luckily Hagrid, before dropping him back at the Dursleys, had put a protective spell on the wand, stopping uncle Vernon from destroying it.

The bear, the stuffed bear, that Harry had named Winnie after the infamous children's book character, one that had kept him company all those long nights and sometimes days in his dark cupboard, he thought the bear was to blame, that if he hadn't wanted to buy the ‘stupid' thing, then Snape would not be fed up with him.

Towards the end of the week, Friday afternoon, when Lucy had popped into the room where Harry was sitting up in bed reading, waiting until Snape said he was going to bring him back, Lucy told him that Snape wanted to see him, Harry had nervously gone down with his packed trunk and Hedwig's empty cage.

The look on Snape's face said it all, when the man caught sight of Harry's stuff.

In the end, Snape had calmly explained in firm yet gentle voice that he wasn't going to bring him back to Surrey. He had also reassured Harry that he didn't mind spending money on him, and that he, being Harry's guardian, it was his job to make sure Harry's needs were met, and that included, toys, food, clothes, and anything else that he thought Harry might need.

When Snape had finished with that explanation, Harry was still not convinced due to Snape's behaviour throughout the week, Harry asked about that and Snape had explained that it was because he had a lot of requests for certain potions he had to brew. If he didn't brew the requested potions and deliver them to the waiting customer then he wouldn't get paid.

Harry had felt bad and had, without thinking, offered his assistance next time. Snape had casually changed the conversation to what he had originally wanted to talk to Harry about.

Flash forward to the next day, Saturday, and Harry was back down in Snape's Study again, standing there calmly, or what he hoped was calm, while the professor reminded Harry what they'll be doing once they get to Diagon Alley.

“Any questions?” Snape asked, once he had finished repeating to Harry what they will be doing once they get to the popular wizarding shopping outlet.

Harry shook his head in the negative. “No sir.”

“All right, well....do you have your supply list with you?”

Before he decided they should go, Severus wanted to make sure they had everything. He sighed, relieved that was one thing they didn't need to worry about forgetting.

Severus checked his pockets, making sure he wasn't forgetting about anything either. He had his wand, his floo powder pouch which he had shrunken and placed in his pocket for when they were coming back here and he also had his coin purse.

****

“Do you have everything you need, for our day out in Diagon Alley, Mr Potter?”

“Yes sir.”

“In that case, we should be heading to your appointment,” he suggested, turning to go over to the floo, when Potter started asking him something.

While listening to his ward, Severus lit the fireplace, he pocketed his wand shortly when an orange flame flickered brightly in the hearth.

“Sir, do you...well, uh, you said you're my guardian this summer,” Potter sighed, “I was hoping you might be able to sign my form the Hogsmeade form?”

Severus reached for the pot of floo powder, picked it up in his hand, then turned back round, giving the boy a serious look.

“I am afraid I cannot be the one to sign your Hogsmeade form, Potter. Though I am your guardian, it's only for the summer, meaning if I were to sign the form now, then my signature wouldn't count when you hand the form in. Does that make sense?”

From where he was standing, Severus could see that Potter was trying to hide his disappointment.

“Oh, well...maybe I can ask whoever you or Dumble-professor Dumbledore find, can't I?”

Knowing that he nor Dumbledore haven't yet found anyone yet, apart from one person, but not wanting to tell the boy this, Severus just nodded, not wanting to get the boy's hopes up and at the same time, not wanting to crush what little hopes Potter no doubt has.

“Come along, then, let us go.” He said, motioning Potter over to him.

The young Gryffindor sighed, making his way over to Severus, who held out the ceramic pot of floo powder, ready for Potter to take some.

“Have you ever used the floo before, or is this....” he started,

Potter interrupted. “Yes sir, I've uh...used the floo before. Once, last year with the Weasleys, I--"

“Alright, so you know you have to say the destination you plan to go in a clear voice.” Severus said, cutting off the boy.

He held out the ceramic pot of the green powder, so Potter could take a handful.

Potter did.

“Now, remember it is Diagon Alley we're flooing to.”

Severus only received a small nod from the boy as Potter made his way over to the floo. He listened to Potter's nervous tone as the teen yelled out their destination, while chucking the powder into the grate.

Grass green flames appeared and Potter stepped into them. Severus reminded the boy to keep his arms and legs together while keeping his mouth and eyes closed. He was pleased to note that Potter listened to his instructions, before he vanished along with the flames.

Next it was Severus's turn. He decided to wait a little bit, before flooing to the popular wizarding village.

Out on the other end, Severus arrived in the grate, gracefully in the Leaky Cauldron floo. Using his wand, he used a quick spell, ridding his robes of the soot that was no doubt blending in with the black material.

Scanning the already busy pub, Severus spotted the familiar raven black hair. Not saying anything, he just motioned the boy to follow him.

Without waiting to see if Potter did follow him, Severus already turned away from the floo and towards the back entrance door of the Leaky cauldron which led to a courtyard surrounded by a brick wall.

The potions master took out his wand and tapped the code on the wall. When he was finished, an archway appeared and Severus stalked ahead expecting Potter to follow him.

Thankfully, like always whenever the potions master was out and about, the crowds of shoppers parted when they saw the scowling man, making it easier for him to get to his destination, quicker.

Luckily for him, Potter, unlike most children or the buffoon the headmaster had hired last year as the Défense professor, did not want to draw any attention to himself, so sometime between Potter being in the Leaky Cauldron waiting and Severus flooing to said destination, the boy made sure to cover up his scar with his hair.

The two wizards soon reached a small building in between the Junk shop and the 2ND hand broom shop, the sign above the door, said the word, oculist.

Pulling open the glass door with a timber wooden frame, causing the bell mounted high on the door to softly ring a few times, Severus motioned for Potter to go through first.

“Well, inside Potter. This is the place where you'll be getting your eyes tested.”

Potter frowned. “It is?”

The potions master nodded as he followed Potter into the building, and the bell rang another few times as the door closed behind him.

Inside the building, the Gryffindor boy glanced around the area, from the spot he had stopped still in. He noted the walls were painted a soft yellow with white skirting boards at the bottom of the each wall.

The area where he currently stood, had a few clear plastic chairs and a matching oval shaped coffee table with a stack of magazines. On the opposite end of the room, was a huge row of different pairs of glasses. On the left side of the room, was a plain white door with a sign on top, writing, a little too blurry for Harry to see.

A loud pop was heard, startling the two quiet wizards.

“Good morning sirs,” said a cheerful voice. A bit too cheerful. “How can Floppy help yous?”

Harry looked down at the small creature, one that reminded him a little bit of Dobby and a little bit of Lucy.

“Uh, morning....” he said, a little unsure of how to greet the house elf.

“Floppy, you said your name was?” Snape thankfully took over. The house elf nodded.

“Yes sirs. I's Floppy, Floppy the—”

Snape raised hand signalling the elf to stop talking.

“Cut the introductions, Floppy. I am Severus Snape and this is my ward Harry Potter,” Snape introduced,

Harry had to hold back a snort. Hypocrite. That was short lived however when he unexpectedly felt a large familiar hand land on the back of his shoulder, the one, nearest the professor, causing him to flinch.

“we are here because, I have booked an eye appointment with a Healer Smith for eight o'clock this morning,” Snape continued explaining why they were there to the elf.

Floppy's head nodded up and down in understanding.

“Yous wait here sirs, Floppy will get mistress Healer Smith.” The elf told them, pointing at the plastic chairs, before popping away.

*****

Nervously, Harry paced up and down the waiting area while Snape took the time to sit down on one of the uncomfortable chairs and read an old dated potions magazine.

The teen paced a few times, resembling some sort of animal in a tiny cage.

“Quit your pacing Potter before you ruin the floor and come sit down.” Snapped Snape, finally fed up with his pacing.

Harry flinched, not at all expecting to hear Snape's voice.

Thought he had his abnormally large nose stuck in some magazine?

“Potter!”

Startled, Harry stopped pacing, turned and looked and the potions master. He averted his eyes to the ground, “sorry sir, I—I,”

“Accio Quidditch magazine.” Snape said

Harry jumped, not expecting that. He averted his eyes back up at Snape, frowning in confusion when the man was holding out a magazine in his direction.

“Here, read this.” Snape motioned for Harry to take it. This caused the teen’s frown of confusion to deepen.

Quidditch?

“Sir?”

Snape rolled his eyes.

“I would have thought, with you going into your third year of Hogwarts Potter, that you'd be able to read clearly by now....guess I was wrong.”

“It's for me?”

“Do you see any other Gryffindor star seeker in here?”

Harry shook his head in the negative. A small smile forming on his lips as he walked over to the potions master and politely took the magazine from the man. “Thanks sir.” He quickly said, going over to an unoccupied chair and sitting down.

Snape's face showed no emotion while he picked up the potions magazine he had placed on the chair beside him, Harry guessed it was so he could catch the Quidditch one had summoned.

Handy spell.

“Harry Potter?”

An unfamiliar voice called, startling the teenager who had been focused on looking at a particularly interesting Quidditch trick, that the seeker on the team Ron likes, had done at their previous match.

“Uh, yes...” Harry lifted his head up and glanced in the direction of the unknown voice, “ma'am?” he finished when his eyes spotted a witch looking older than Snape, perhaps around the same age as McGonagall, maybe a little younger than the professor.

“Healer Smith.” The healer with graying blonde hair styled in a neat pony tail, introduced herself, a gentle smile on her lips.

Nervously, the teen smiled back. “Hello, ma'am.”

“Call me Healer Smith,” she informed, holding a hand out for him to shake.

Nudged from behind, he was forced to stand. Placing the magazine on the chair he had been occupying, Harry, with another nudge went over to the healer. Nodding his head in response, Harry shook the healer's waiting hand with his right. It was short and when they were finished with introductions, the teenager awkwardly stood there in one spot as he thought about whether to try and run or not.

A chair scraping against the floor startled the boy,
glancing back in the direction of the noise, the teen noticed Snape was no longer sitting and was on his way over to them. Whatever hopeful expression on his face was a minute ago, was no longer there when the young Gryffindor realized he wouldn't get very far with Snape being there.

Hell, I won't even make it out the building without Snape summoning me back or using the petrificus totalus spell on me.

“Healer Smith, I am Severus Snape.” Snape told the witch, in a formal tone.

The healer nodded to Snape before flicking her blue, doe shaped eyes, back to Harry. She nodded to him as she said, “if you would, please follow me Mr Potter,”

Not really wanting to follow her, but having no choice due to the look Snape was giving him, the young teen made to follow. A glum look showing on his face, that soon changed when he glanced back once more, noticing Snape wasn't following.

Heart rate increasing the teen's mouth opened, ready for words to come out. Seeing Snape was only placing both magazines they were looking at back on the coffee table, before following, Harry felt a strange feeling wash over him.

"Close your mouth Potter, you look like a Grindylow."

Snapping his mouth shut at that comment, the teen continued following the healer, walking alongside Snape.

Healer Smith pushed open a door, which had a sign. When he was close enough to read, Harry did just that, noticing the words in bold, black writing. Healer Smith.

Harry let out a sigh, entering into the office, followed by Snape who put a hand on his shoulder and gave it a gentle squeeze, which was removed shortly afterwards just as the healer turned to face them.

Severus took his time to look around the office, while the healer told Potter where to sit and what was going to happen first.

During that time, the potions master noticed the room was painted the same soft yellow with the same painted white skirting running along the bottom. Opposite where Severus currently stood by the closed door, was a lone window, the blinds closed for the time being.

On the left side of the window was a small desk with a box of different types of lenses.

At the front of the room, hanging up in the centre of the wall was an eye test chart with black and bold letters, ranging in different sizes all on a pale sandy coloured background. On the opposite side of the room, was a soft, comfortable looking chair, facing the chart, which was where Potter was sitting, nodding his head to whatever the healer was telling him.

“Sir,”

Hearing the healer calling him, Severus turned to look at the witch, giving her a questioning look.

“Yes?”

“You're welcome to sit down, over there on the chair,” the healer pointed with her long bony finger to a chair that was situated right behind where Severus was standing. Practically by the door.

Knowing the witch probably wanted to start, Severus nodded, turning to go take a seat on the offered chair. He held back a sigh, glad the seat was comfortable compared to the ones out in the waiting room.

“Would either of you like a drink before we start?” blue eyes flicked from wizard to wizard.

Potter shook his head in the negative. Severus, on the other hand accepted the offer.

“A green tea would be fine.” He said.

Healer Smith wasted no time in calling her house elf and ordering Severus his drink.

The elf nodded saying she won't be long, before popping back out of the room. Seconds later, she popped back into the room, this time by where Severus was sitting and handed the wizard his drink.

Severus thanked the elf just before she popped away. He then sat there, quietly sipping his drink.

The potions master listened while the oculist asked the teen some questions before she actually got started on testing the boy's eyes.

The questions she had asked were stuff like;

When was the last time you've had your eyes tested? ‘Several years ago...think I was about seven, ma-healer Smith'

Who prescribed your current glasses? A shrug from the boy, ‘not sure.’

Have you always worn glasses? A shake in the negative.

When was the first time you wore glasses? ‘when I was about seven.’

Do you sometimes see auras/flashing colours? Shrug of the shoulders. ‘Sometimes.’

Any head injuries in the past?

Severus who had started to slouch, sat up at this question. He remained quiet and waited until Potter answered.

“....no ma'am....healer Smith.” Potter answered,

Picking up on Potter's blatant lie, Severus was ready to reprimand the boy right there and now. He would have, if the healer hadn't beaten him to speaking. But instead of asking Potter for the truth, she instead, finished off with the question,

How often do you get headaches? ‘Sometimes.’

Reprimanding the boy forgotten about, for now, Severus frowned at Potter's answer, deciding that he was going to keep a better eye on the boy during the rest of summer. He had potions for headaches and as Potter's guardian, he felt bad for not knowing the boy got headaches.

As this happened, the healer next thing she did was, take out her wand, turned round, pointed the tip at the chart and waved it about, muttering a few words, the chart enlarged a few centimeters more than it's previous size.

“Alright, Harry,” she started, stepping back a bit so the boy could see the chart. “You see that chart over there? I want you to read the third from bottom line for me.” She told the boy.

The thirteen year old boy nodded his head.

“I?...F? Uh...P? O...D....”

There was a long pause before Healer Smith spoke again. “That was good Harry. We'll try again without your glasses shortly. Before we start, would you care for a drink at all?”

“No ma'am...Healer Smith.”

Healer Smith nodded, “that's alright dear. Would you like to try again, this time without your glasses?”

The boy nodded, already taking off his glasses. He placed them on the desk near him where the Healer was currently sitting at.

“I want you to read the same line again Harry, this time in the opposite direction you just read from.” She told her patient, giving him an encouraging smile.

While the teenager sat there reading out the letters he could see without his glasses on, Healer Smith wrote down his progress.

“...P...D...O...”

“...E? Uh, F?...I?”

******

"All right, Harry, we've finished." Healer Smith said, smiling warmly, "you can go and choose your new glasses out in the waiting room, while I talk to your Dad."

Startled by the Healer's choice of words to describe his and Potter's relationship, Severus ended up choking on his tea. This ended up causing not only Potter to look at him, but also Healer Smith.

With a scowl forming across his face, Severus looked away from them as he put his half full mug of tea down on the ground, not at all caring if he spilled a bit on the floor. He then folded his arms against his chest and focused on the view through the window. Unfortunately there wasn't much of a view except for a brick wall and some blue sky.

'Ridiculously stupid woman.' Severus thought, huffing to himself. 'I don't even look anything at all like the boy's father.'

'Sir?'

'Professor?'

"Dad?"

Severus teared his eyes away from the horrible view and looked at the boy, his eyebrows creasing into a frown and his eyes narrowed. 'Dad?' Severus silently repeated to himself, while he remained glaring at the boy. 'Did that brat just….'

Remembering where they were, Severus occluded. 'Boy's lucky we're not back at the manor.' He thought, while out loud he asked, "what is it Potter?"

The boy stood there awkwardly as he stared at the ground. "I'm going to the bathroom, is that okay?" He whispered.

Severus was just about to nod his head in response, but then a thought occurred and he instead asked, "where is the bathroom?"

Based on Potter's reaction, Severus had a feeling he wasn't going to like the answer.

Potter hesitated for a moment then he let out a reluctant sigh. "Only bathroom in the Alley is in the Leaky Cauldron."

'Of course it is.' Severus thought as he refrained from rolling his eyes. "Can you wait? We'll go there once we–"

The Gryffindor seeker shook his head in the negative and Severus went quiet, thinking about what to do. With a sigh, he realised there was no other options apart from letting Potter go to the Leaky Cauldron to use the bathroom.

Hesitating, Severus took his wand out from his pocket and waved it until the time was shown. He looked at the time with his eyebrows furrowed, then he told the boy, "all right, you may go. But if you're not back here in ten minutes and if I have to come look for you, then I swear to Merlin, Potter that you'll be scrubbing the dungeons with a toothbrush for eternity." He hissed at him, warningly.

Potter grimaced.

"Ten minutes, Potter." Severus reminded him.

The boy let out a sigh as he nodded his head. "Okay, I won't be longer than ten minutes. Can I go now, sir?"

Severus nodded, indicating the boy could leave.

Once Potter had left the room, Severus looked at the Healer as he stood up from the chair. He was unsure of whether or not he wanted to know the results of Potter's eye test.



*****


The doorbell mounted high above the glass entrance door of the oculist building, rang softly a few times as a scowling Severus stalked out and back into the streets of Diagon Alley. He paused, turning his head from left to right, a frown on his face as he wondered which direction to go in first.

“Sir,” his ward, Potter, started as he followed the man dressed in black, out of the tiny building, “you uh, really didn't have to--"

“Not now Potter.” Severus cut the boy off, rolling his onyx eyes as he did. “What is first on your supply list?” he said, before the boy could finish off what he had been going to say, something he has already said before, earlier on, back in the oculist. He held out his hand, basically telling the boy to give him the list of things so he could have a look at it himself.

Potter paused beside him, shortly after closing the door behind them.

“I uh...I think its--" Potter took out his supply list from his jean pocket, something Severus couldn't help but wonder why he had allowed his ward to leave the manor in such an outfit. An outfit that would represent not only the boy, but himself and Snape manor. He restrained himself from sighing and instead took the crumpled parchment from the Gryffindor’s hand, no sooner was it out.

Severus scanned the list of items Potter needed for third year, the very minute he could. When he saw what was on top of the list, he turned right, heading north, already heading in the direction of where he decided they would go first. Thankfully, like a trained dog, the boy followed at the potions master at his command.

Soon they found themselves entering the book shop, Flourish and Blotts, they paused in the entrance. Severus took out the supply list from his own pocket, looking at the list again, the potions master scanned the first few books.

The Monster book of Monster's was at the top, and if his memory of seeing Potter opening a book from the Groundskeeper hadn't entered his mind at that moment, the potions master would have sent his ward over to ask for the book by the shop window, a book they had seen as they had entered.

Instead, Severus continued scanning the first few books after that one, he then turned to look down at the boy. “Potter,” he called, turning to look down at his ward who had stood there silently, looking like a lost boy.

“Sir?”

“Go and look for these books.” Severus told him, he showed the boy the list, his index finger showing Potter the books he was to collect.

Potter nodded, “yes sir,” turning and was already going and doing what he had been told to do.

Walking around the book shop himself, Severus scanned the next few books, deciding to go and collect them himself, then he'd go look for his ward.

With seven books soon collected and Potter and Severus standing in the spot they had stopped in after entering the store earlier on, Severus was scanning the last of the book that Potter needed for the upcoming school year. He frowned, re-reading the book title.

“Tell me Mr Potter,” Severus started in a silky tone, as he held up the supply list in the air in Potter's view, luckily, the boy was looking up at him the moment he had said his name...or at least surname. “What....exactly gave you the notion to take Divinations as a class for next year?”

Potter shrugged. A frown forming on his face. “Nothing sir. I-I uh, just wanted to give it a try....see how the subject is,”

Rolling his eyes, Severus said, “sorry to burst your bubble Mr Potter, but Divinations is a load of utter rubbish. Anyone who wishes to do Divination for their N.E.W.T exams are nuts, if you ask me,”

“I know sir. But Ron's brothers, Fred and George, they uh, suggested to us the subject is a bit like History of magic and well, Ron and me, since we like that subject we thought we'd give...”

Narrowing his onyx eyes at the raven haired boy, Severus, who had been entirely confused when Potter had said Divinations was like History of magic, he finally figured out the connection.

“Taking a class so you can lounge about, snoozing all lesson is not good and I, as your professor and a head of house at the school will advise you to drop the subject and choose something more of value....like Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, or even Muggle Studies,”

Ignoring Potter's scrunched up face, Severus put his hand up to stop the boy from opening his mouth to say something, no doubt negative about any of those three subjects and instead, he continued, advising the boy.

“Any of those three, plus Care Of Magical Creatures will help you a lot more with your career choice in a few years to come, unlike Divinations. You don't have to pick a different subject now Mr Potter, but it might help if you had some books of the third year elective subjects to read up on, before judging them based on their titles...” pausing, a thoughtful look crossed Severus's mind.

Continuing to speak, the potions master kept his voice low. “Take my advise Potter and drop Divinations.”

Once, after Severus and his ward had all of the books they needed, they went over to the counter where they paid for the books. Shrinking them, he placed them in his cloak pocket, while sending a look to the boy when he heard the familiar words starting to come out of the young teen's mouth, quieting the boy.

The potions master left the book shop followed by his ward. “You really didn't have to—”

“Quiet Potter,” Severus said, stalking ahead of the boy.

Potter followed him all the way to the Apothecary. Pushing the door open, Severus held it open, motioning with his head for the boy to go inside the shop first.

After the bookshop, Severus led the way through the alley to the Apothecary.

Pushing the door open, Severus remained standing on the step, holding the door open, while motioning with his head for the boy to go inside the shop first.

“Don't touch anything.” Was all he told the boy in a warning tone.

Harry nodded his head as he walked past the potions master, entering the Apothecary. He immediately regretted it though, the moment, his nose wrinkled at the musty odour coming from all of the different ingredients that were inside the shop.

“Good morning Severus,” the shopkeeper greeted from behind the counter, causing Harry, who had not seen the old man at first, to jump in surprise.

The teenager darted his eyes over to the potions master, who nodded his head in response to the older man with grey hair and silvery eyes.

“Morning Mr Swoopstikes,” Snape greeted back, “how’s your son?”

Harry stood there next to Snape, listening to the conversation. He was quite surprised to hear the shopkeeper's response to the potions master.

“Thomas? He's doing much better now, thanks to you, Severus. In fact, he should be back to work sometime next week after he's finished with the batch of that healing potion you brewed and sent over to him last week...”

Raising an eyebrow in surprise, Harry looked up at the potions master, who turned, no doubt catching him looking out of the corner of his eye.

Snape told the shopkeeper that he did not need anything, nor did he need any ingredients for his own use. He then guided Harry around the shop, gathering the ingredients that were on the supply list. At first, Harry was about to suggest to the professor if they should have a look and see what ingredients he needed. In fact, he did indeed say this to the older wizard, forgetting about the fact that Snape was the potions master and remembered off by heart what was on the supply list for the third years.

That was until Snape reminded him. “I am insulted Potter,” the professor started in a silky tone.

“Sir?” Harry just looked at him, not getting the hint.

Looking at him as if he was an idiot, the professor, grabbed a couple of paperbags. Placing one in his cloak pocket, the professor unfolded and opened the other as he stopped by a large cilander glass container, filled with some strange ingredient labelled, shrivelfig. At the professor's gestured nod, Harry went to lift up the lid, then stood and watched while Snape, with his free hand, picked up a nearby scoop to take out a couple of shrivelfigs and place them in the current paper bag. While he did this, he continued in the same silky calm tone, “that you've completely forgotten I am the potions master at the school, meaning I was the one to make this list for the potions ingredients you and your year-mates to bring to school for September.”

“Oh....sorry sir, I uh...I forgot." Harry said with a shrug of his shoulders.

Snape sealed the paper bag and handed it to him, before taking out the other paper bag. Once they had stopped by another large glass container containing caterpillars. Harry lifted up the lid again so Snape could collect some caterpillars, using a different scoop, explaining he only needs one but it would be good to have an extra ingredient on hand in case he ruins the first.

Snape raised an eyebrow. “Indeed, Mr Potter.” Drawled the professor.

When they had the ingredients Harry needed for his potions classes next school year, they paid at the counter, where the shopkeeper asked if Harry was staying with the potions master.

Harry was about to respond, but stopped when Snape jumped in to say, “no, Mr Swoopstike. I am only fortunately tasked with bringing Potter here to Diagon Alley for his school supplies today. Once the boy has his things, then he will be out of my hair.”

Confused and worried, Harry opened his mouth to say something. “But—” he stopped when catching the serious look Snape was giving him.

A look that sent shivers down his spine. With that, he closed his mouth, keeping it shut.

“Come Potter.” Snape instructed, taking both paper bags and sending them off to the manor with Lucy after calling the elf, “the sooner we finish this shopping trip of yours, the better.”

“Yes sir.” Harry gave a small nod, hesitating a little before following the man out the shop.

Next shop they made their way over to, was Scribulus writing instruments. Harry made sure to follow Snape to their destination.

He was a little nervous and confused by what the potions master had said earlier in the Apothecary, but hoped to whoever, it wasn't at all true.

After all, he reassured himself, Snape said I'm not going back.

Quietly following the potions master back down the cobble stone street of Diagon Alley, Harry did his best to keep up with the professor. It was easier said than done.

Snape, being Snape, stalked fast, ahead of him with his long legs and his black cloak billowing behind him, the crowd parting, forming a path when they noticed the scowling man, while Harry, well, they kept on walking in front of him, knocking him about as if they hadn't noticed he was there, or they just didn't see him. Too caught up in their own little bubble.

“Don't dawdle Potter!”

The professor’s sharp tone cut through the crowd, flowing to Harry.

“Yes sir.” He quickly responded, nodding his head even though Snape couldn't see him, although, he was starting to think with the more time he spent with the man the professor has another pair of eyes on the back of his head.

On the way to the shop, they passed a few of the shops Harry remembered passing by when they were making their way up to the oculist. They passed; Madam Malkins Robes for all occasions, Amanuensis Quills and a few others along with Quality Quidditch supplies, where Harry couldn't help but stop and stare at the new broomstick in the shop window. Firebolt. Slightly disappointed by the price, he managed to cheer up a little, reminding himself of his perfectly good broom, one he wouldn't be giving up anytime soon. Not even for millions of galleons.

Hearing Snape calling him, the teen startled, continued to follow the potions master a few more feet until they reached the shop. The two wizards entered, Snape stood there, holding the door open, indicating to Harry with one look to go in first. Hesitating at first, Harry nodded, stepping into Scribulus writing instruments.

Snape followed behind, closing the door as he entered.

All was quiet in the small shop with only a few customers currently walking around. Harry was one of them, over by the quill section.

Amazed by all the different types of quills, Harry glanced at each one of them, silently reading the labels.

There were several feathered quills with feathers all from different species of birds; including, Owl, Eagle, and some local birds like; Robins, pigeons, crows ect. And some from exotic birds-they were being sold for a higher price than the other feathered quills. Along with feathered quills, there were, self writing quills and a quill that Harry wouldn't mind giving up quidditch for if he had to, the colour changing quill. A quill that changes to whatever colour the person is thinking,

“Ooh, look mother, look!”

A girl, a little younger than Harry, with light brown hair appeared by the colour changing quill. “Lower your voice Holly. I'm coming.” The mother responded back in a harsh tone.

Without waiting for her mum to catch up to her, the girl with bright blue eyes, who had a few more inches to grow then she'd be Harry's height, excitedly picked up the quill and ran back to her mother. Harry couldn't help but stand there silently watching the exchange between mother and daughter. He blinked a few times as a familiar feeling coming back, causing his chest to hurt and his eyes to sting.

A large hand clamped down on his shoulder, causing the teen to flinch.

“What did I tell you, Potter about wandering off?” Came Snape's familiar silky tone.

Frowning, Harry turned, confused, he looked up at the man. Trying to remember what the potions master had told him yesterday evening back at the manor when Snape was telling him they'll be coming to Diagon Alley today. Remembering, Harry didn't understand.

Technically he hadn't wandered off, not exactly, anyway. Though he was already known around school to have a reputation of not preserving his life, the teen did not dare risk angering the professor. Instead he said the first thing that came to mind.

“Sorry sir, it won't happen again.” He ducked his head, feeling uncomfortable with Snape narrowing his eyes at him.

With the professor silent for far too long, he chanced looking up at the potions master, who gave him a small nod. “Better not, Mr Potter.” Snape unfolded his arms from his chest, with one hand, he reached into his pocket, taking out the supply list. He stood there, silently scanning the supplies they still needed. When he was finished, he nodded, folded up the parchment, pocketed it while instructing Harry. “Go and get twenty rolls of parchment for yourself. While you do that, I shall go get the quills you will be needing along with an ink pot.”

Harry nodded, turned and was about to head off in the direction he assumed the parchment was, but he turned back to face the professor, his conscience disagreeing with what Snape had suggested.

“I could get both sir if you—”

Snape, who had been about to turn to head towards the shelf with the standard quills, turned back round, shaking his head in the negative. He raised a hand, silencing Harry. “If I have managed to survive most of this shopping trip with you, then I am perfectly capable Potter of getting a couple of quills and an ink pot.” The professor sarcastically responded. “Now hurry along. I don't have all day.”

Knowing there was no point to change the man's mind, Harry glanced once more at the colour changing quill, held back a sigh and nodded his head in response. Silently, he turned away from the quills and headed off towards the parchment, several feet away.

Severus watched Potter leave towards the parchment. Satisfied, he turned to the quills, scanned the rows and rows of quills until he found the standard quills. Walking a few paces over, he wasted no time with picking two up. He couldn't help but be reminded of his shopping trip with Lily when they were eleven, getting their stuff for Hogwarts.

His mother had brought them and the Evans family to the shopping outlet. Lily had been fascinated by everything and while Severus's favourite about that day was choosing a wand, Lily's was, choosing a quill. She had spent ages choosing a colour and feather and finally settled on an eagle feathered quill, she had been fascinated by the colour changing quills, to the point where her parents decided to buy her one.

Lily's older sister, had not come, for reasons Severus cannot, at the moment, remember, nor did he want to. Not right now, anyway.

After paying 98 galleons for the twenty rolls of parchment and the quills and sending the items off to the manor with Lucy, Severus led his ward back out of the shop.
To be continued...


This story archived at http://www.potionsandsnitches.org/fanfiction/viewstory.php?sid=3887